2.7/5 (2296 ratings)
Find a Dog Food partner

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Pedigree Pet Foods

Pros

• Relatively inexpensive
  • Easy to find
  • Made in the U.S.

Cons

• Corn is sometimes first ingredient
  • Contains meat byproducts

Bottom Line

Pedigree Pet Food products are easy to find and competitively priced. Many of the formulas feature corn as the first ingredient and include meat by-products. It’s not the best, but it’s probably not the worst either.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Pedigree Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pedigree Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pedigree Pet Foods?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

My dogs have eaten this specific brand and type of dog food in the past but I think based on their experience and reading the reviews there’s a bad batch out there. They both have been having very loose stool, pooping in their kennel and in the house since they can’t hold it in. Review after review talking about diarrhea. I’m going to exchange it at the store today for a different brand.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

My 10yr old beagle has been on a Pedigree dry food for years. After an issue with his teeth, we switched him to Pedigree canned food for a softer diet. The dog has been extremely sick with bloody stools, uncontrollable diarrhea and very lethargic. We have spent a lot of money on vet bills, ultrasounds, blood work, fecal tests and nothing came back. The vet put him on a special diet, antibiotics and probiotics. The diarrhea cleared up instantly but the dog really didn’t like the food. Thinking it was cleared up due to the medication, we switched him back to Pedigree canned food since he seems to really enjoy eating it - wouldn’t you know all the bloody diarrhea returned. I am in complete shock. Switched him off and he is fine again after a few days. I started looking online and couldn’t believe all the similar reviews. Save your pup and your wallet and steer away from Pedigree canned food.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

I'm experiencing the same with my dogs. My male GS who is 9 yrs and female 2yrs old. My vet put them on an antibiotic ** 500mg (treats inflammation of the large intestine for diarrhea, and they checked stools for parasites test were negative) and a 7 day rice and chicken diet. Per vet putting them back on their food Pedigree slowing after the 7 days. It started again. This time the male had diarrhea and blood in stool. The female stool was good for a few days and then started to have diarrhea again. Vet instructed me to change brands. I'm so happy I checked to see if anyone else was experiencing the same problem. I have been using Pedigree for 10 years and very disappointed; I thought it was my older German Shepherd because he getting up in age but when my younger GS started having diarrhea again. Not sure if they changed ingredients but sure I'm changing to another brand of dog food. Hoping it will be better!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I just bought 2 55 lbs bags from Costco and after a week my boxer lab mix 120 lbs dog is having grand mal seizures (uncontrolled muscle spasms, snapping his jaws open and closed, thrashing around), started out at 30 seconds and now it is up to 4 min. He had 3 12 hrs apart, went a week without eating, and then finally ate again and just had 3 grand mal seizures within 12 hrs.

Original review: July 22, 2019

My dog eating Pedigree canned dog food and dry types has been getting very sick! Loose bowels.. vomiting.. lethargic sick diarrhea. Its been an issue for the last 1 1/2 years. Pinned it down on the dog food. We keep the serving bowl clean etc. Something has changed in the dog foods! I feed my dog ground beef to bring her back to good health. Also the same issues with Purina Dry Dog Chow has made her sick. Why is this happening!!!

Original review: July 11, 2019

My 13 year old schnauzer/terrier mix Snoopy is doing extremely well for his age. He regularly eats, exercises and is overall a happy, older dog. I went on vacation for a week and my brother was in charge of Snoopy's care - he began to feed Snoopy cans of Pedigree Paté and other forms of the canned wet dog food instead of his regular food brand. By the time I came back from vacation, Snoopy was noticeably ill. His symptoms were vomiting, lethargy, diarrhea, loud intestinal noises that could be heard from across the room and heavy drooling... Snoopy was so sick he could barely stand up. I took Snoopy to the vet and spent thousands on injections for nausea, X-rays, etc, basically treating my dog for severe gastroenteritis. Pedigree food poisoned my dog and I'm sure it would have killed him if I had continued to feed it to him.

Original review: July 1, 2019

I have a beautiful Rottweiler name Shaka. We have always given him Purina dog food but we switched to Pedigree. After a month my dog started acting sick. He was throwing up and had bloody diarrhea. He was sick like this for 2 weeks. I had took him to vet and he had no kind of worms or parvo. I fed him boiled chicken and white rice till he got better.

After he started getting better I started feeding him the Pedigree dog food again.... Again after a month he got sick again. The throwing up, the bloody diarrhea and all. So he got better again after a couple weeks and I decided to change his dog food to see if maybe it was the Pedigree brand. I changed it to Purina Dog Chow. It's been a few months and he hasn't been sick. He's been completely fine. Deep down I had no idea what was going on or if it was even the Pedigree dog food but all I know is once I changed his dog food he's been doing just fine. Watch what you feed your fur babies because that was definitely scary.

Original review: June 30, 2019

Have 3 Bullmastiffs. About 2-3 months ago, my husband, bless his heart, switched their food to Pedigree. I wasn't a fan, but financially made sense at the time. One of our females started having grand mal seizures. A 110lb dog having a seizure is a scary thing. I attributed the seizures to topical flea treatment. I never, ever thought that the food could be the culprit. 2 nights ago, she had 4 seizures within an hour. Last night, right after she ate her Pedigree food, she had another. That is when it really started to make sense. The seizures started around the same time he switched them to Pedigree. My male has had a skin issue (bumps, his face looks like a teenager, itching and scratching almost non stop). He is a Brindle and they can be prone to skin issues and allergies. So, we didn't think much about the problems. Took him to the vet where he received a rather large injection of steroids and other medications.

Surprisingly, our other female hasn't shown any effects, yet. I immediately called my husband after the seizure last night and told him I was throwing out all of the Pedigree food and to pick up Iams large breed. I have fed Iams in the past to other pets and was always very pleased. I am happy to report, after just 2 feedings, no seizures. I swear, all three already look better. Their eyes look clear and they seem to have more of a bounce. I will never jeopardize my dogs again due to finances. There are other things in our life we can cut back on. If things had continued and if we had continued to feed that horrible food, I am certain we would have lost one of our girls. Who knows what would have happened to the other two. I know it is early to make a correlation between the food and seizures, but I can't help but be convinced. Thank you Iams.

Original review: June 1, 2019

I'm so glad I step in this site, had been crazy with my two pups throwing up and with bloody diarrhea! The only recent change was the food was actually really excited to try it until 2 days later of the new food one started pooping blood, I thought it was because the difference in the food but I transgression them slowly, after transgression poop still bad so I started mixing with plain brown rice and feeding them plain yogurt and it work! 1 DAY! A SINGLE DAY my bf didn’t mix the rice and they were back at square one! SCARY! I see I'm not the only and thank God I started researching, but this is not funny, we're out here thinking the worse, spending money between specific diets and meds and sadly I just see more recent complaints in other websites as well.

Original review: May 12, 2019

My 6 1/2 year old, 80 pound mutt Buster has had hair loss for about a year in patches, and we've taken him to the vet and they said it was allergies (due to the super bloom) so they gave him medicine and a new food plan. We put him on a chicken and rice diet, and he seemed to be doing a lot better. He just finished his medicine yesterday, and today, he has thrown up six times in about four hours. it may be a recipe change, or contaminated products, but after reading all the reviews on this page we are taking him off Pedigree tonight. Thank you to all of the people who have shared their reviews, we would not have been able to afford another vets appointment, so we would have probably had to put him down. Praying that with the diet change we won't have to make that decision.

Original review: May 9, 2019

We fed our St. Bernard & Dachshund the Pedigree wet food packets as a starter for their dry food, as they are 13 & 12 years old. A few days later they both got violently sick, with bloody diarrhea and weakness. We thought we were going to lose both of them. The fecal tests showed nothing, and blood work was okay; so it had to be the food!! As I read the other reviews I am certain!!! Please save other dogs, Pedigree and DO THE RIGHT THING!! Either change the recipe or pull off the shelf!! This needs to be on the news to bring attention to it!!!

Original review: May 8, 2019

Was mixing Pedigree with the dry food I feed my 165 pound English Mastiff. I usually only used a little but had to hide some medicine for incontinence so she started getting more. She stopped eating and drooling, drinking tons of water. She would come around and be perfectly normal until she ate the Pedigree again. She lost weight down to 148 pounds. I had her at the vet multiple times with all kinds of blood work, abdominal X-rays and chest X-rays. Cortisol levels. Everything completely normal.

Finally stopped the Pedigree and she is back to being a normal dog. If she was a smaller dog, she probably be dead. I told my vet it was like she was being poisoned. One of the last times we were at the vet her nose was stuffy and full of mucus so we gave her an antibiotic shot thinking it was a sinus infection. This has literally cost me thousands but at least she is alive. My poor baby. I was feeding her poison. How can they get away with this!!!! I am praying there is no permanent damage to her GI system.

Original review: May 3, 2019

Dude I’ve been up reading these comments for thirty minutes and I am actually scared for my dogs. I have a German Shepherd who’s ten and a black Lab who’s four. I’ve been feeding both of them Pedigree since since they were born but until just recently they’ve had diarrhea with blood. I thought surely it wasn’t their food but just in case I went to look if Pedigree had a recipe change or something like that but instead I found this. I just wanna thank you all for your honesty because I’m changing their dog food immediately. I wouldn’t want to lose my babies and seeing that these reviews are relatively close is clearly saying something. I fed them rice tonight but tomorrow I’m getting new food.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I have two chihuahuas. They would get fed the Pedigree chicken and rice wet food at night. It seemed to agree with them for months, but last night hours after eating BOTH got very sick. Vomiting and bloody diarrhea. It was so bad I thought they were dead in the house. I know it was this food. They were with me all day and did not get into anything. I think there are bad batches that are made of this food on occasion or they are not consistent with the recipe, not enough for small dogs anyway. I'll never buy it again.

Original review: April 17, 2019

My 3 standard poodles really love the canned varieties of Pedigree. They bark loudly when I open a can of it! I also feed them the dry versions, which they like less. So I mix the canned with the dry food. Problem is, I do not know what the ingredients are in the canned foods...only what the labels say on the front. I have been trying to find out about the ingredients, because I have learned lately that some dog foods have horse and/or dog meat in them, which I wouldn't buy knowingly. But until I know more, I will stay with Pedigree.

Original review: April 13, 2019

It keeps my dogs healthy. They seem to like the flavor. It comes in several flavors. A variety of bag sizes are available as well. I am not aware of an adverse reviews of this product. My pets are very important to me.

Original review: April 12, 2019

My dogs love the different flavors of Pedigree available, as I switch them every other day. They especially like the beef stew with vegetables. Another favorite is the lamb stew. Chicken with rice is another they happily lap up. Sometimes catch them going to the other dog's dishes for the crumbs. Fortunately not too many crumbs left.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Our dog is healthy and her coat is shiny and full. She enjoys running and jumping and chewing! She eats the food with no problem and seems to like it.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Too EXPENSIVE and it keeps going up. The food is not Blue Buffalo so stop raising the price. I went to Alpo. Come and get it and the dogs like it and it is cheaper. Pedigree should go back to their regular price instead of raising it six dollars on regular Pedigree and ten dollars for the one that has real beef. Not a customer anymore of Pedigree.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I’ve been feeding my 2 year old Pitt baby Taste of the Wild dry food and Cesar wet food mixed for about a year and have had no issues. About 2 months ago I ran out of the Cesars and decided to try the Pedigree wet pouches. About 3 days after switching I leave my dog with a friend while I went out of town. When I returned he was deathly ill, he was suffering from vomiting and diarrhea and began to bleed from his rectum. I immediately took him to the vet and they placed him on a regimen of antibiotics and pills to stop the vomiting.

At this point I’m thinking that maybe he got into something and did not make the connection to the food. I stop all wet food until this past Sunday I decided to reincorporate it. What a mistake! My dog has been vomiting and having nonstop diarrhea since Monday morning! He only ate ONE pouch and is in bad shape. If his condition doesn’t improve by the time I return from work I’ll have to take him to the vet again! Do you and your fur baby a favor and leave this garbage on the shelf! I’m furious that this is happening to him again.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Use dry and wet and they have done well. One dog is 15 other is 12. I leave dry out and wet at night. They have been very healthy. There are a lot of flavors in the wet food and the dry has mini bites which is needed for my 15 yr old Japanese Chin who only has a couple of teeth and a very small mouth.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I had a beautiful 150 lb German Shepherd named Rhino. He ate Pedigree his whole life. At age 9 he died from bladder cancer. The vet was curious to see the bladder. After he had passed she opened it to find the lining with a green stain to it. She stated it was almost certain the cancer was from the green dye in the food. I have no confidence in any brand dog food. I now buy discounted meats and mix with a little brown rice and mix vegetables. I put in single servings and freeze. Before I go to work I take out two bags for my pups. When I get home it's thawed. Then I microwave for a few seconds. It doesn't cost me much more than dog food and I never have any issues with their health. Their muscle tone is awesome and they have very shiny coats. They love it which is important. I highly suggest this diet.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Both of my dogs ( A Collie & a Sheltie ) are picky eaters but they love the Pedigree Chopped Ground Dinners -- particularly either the Filet Mignon or Chicken varieties. The Collie also likes the Pedigree Filet Mignon Choice Cuts variety. But the Sheltie only likes the Chopped Ground Dinners. These are inexpensive & available in most stores & supermarkets. For treats, they both love Good 'N Fun Kabobs the best by far.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Pencil was put on Pedigree about 8 months ago. He ate the food, started healthy weight. I thought nothing of this then he would sneak and finish my pom's pouches that she left. The first sign he had I can see now was he was always thirsty, then. diarrhea but only when he ate hers. Then about 2 weeks from the day he died he had a knot on his side got big then slowly went down and on 03/27/2019. I lost my sweet baby to internal bleeding. And now my pom is having diarrhea, and she's thirsty all the time. I'm now scared I might lose her too! Both prior to Pedigree was eating Purina with no problems. I got my beagle when he was just 2 months old 'til his passing he was 7 years old, my pom is 15 years old. I've had her since she was about 2 yrs.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Well treats made with real marrow. I thought that was great. But then I found stuff that shouldnt be present. I don't know if it was a thick brush bristle or a really thick hair. But I didn't care for it.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I don't have any details about the lot number or bar code food as we pour it into a clean/dry storage container from its bag. We bought a bag from Sam's Club in January 2019 and of our 8 dogs, the only two who eat Pedigree Complete Nutrition and had been on it for about 4 days began to experience diarrhea. It took us about 4-5 days to figure out which dogs were sick and to eliminate causes. The other dogs exhibited none of the symptoms as these two. Once we changed the food to another dry food, the dogs have begun to improve and no longer seem to be having issues with diarrhea.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

We have two golden retrievers, one is a year old and the other is 3 years old... They had both been on this food for their whole life and they were happy and healthy. Last November we noticed a decrease in appetite in both of them then each started randomly vomiting clear or yellow phlegm. The vet saw nothing wrong but the vomiting and then constipation grew worse and worse. I looked up reviews on this food and was shocked to read so many people describing the same issues with their dogs and they got better after switching their food. I didn’t think it could be the food since it was the same food they had always been eating. I would assume the company changed the formula because after switching their food, both dogs are symptom free after only 3 days and several weeks later are back to their old selves. I’m glad I made the switch even though we pay more for the food now, their health is worth it!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Our 12 year old Jack Russell (Jack) has eaten this brand of dog food most of his life. Sunday (2/17/19) my husband opened a new box of food for him. He ate one pouch early in the day. By noon, our Jack Russell was throwing up. We didn't think too much about it because that's what dogs do from time to time. Jack wasn't as perky as usual but again...dogs do this from time to time. Jack didn't eat the food my husband had put out for him this morning which is very unusual. When my husband got home from work today (Monday 2/18), he found Jack lethargic, convulsing, and covered in diarrhea. He died a short time later. He seemed to be in discomfort, seizing, listless. He had a faint whimper a couple of times.

I think he was hanging on for us. We went outside and searched the yard for anything that could have hurt him. Nothing, of course he would have consumed what harmed him so nothing would probably be around for us to find. When we returned, he was gone. We have been very pleased with Pedigree but want to share our experience just in case his death is related to the food, here are the numbers on the box. 8 33 01 4 JC 09. 04 09 227-00 Best before 11/2019.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Bought this poison at Walmart until I could get my regular brand. All 4 of my dogs were sick within 5 days. Clear vomit, diarrhea, lymph nodes swollen in neck, not eating. Took all off this ** within 3 days all much better now. Shameful we have to worry about our animals from these rats. Karma is a **. You'll get yours.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

My American bulldog was switched to Pedigree to save some money. My mom used this brand on our family dog and had no issues. So, the first week my bully on the food he was consipated. I thought nothing of it because my husband just left for a school and he normally gets depressed when my husband leaves. When my bully finally pooped it was a little bloody, which I assumed was from being consipated for a few days. After that it's been diarrhea and throwing up. He barely sleeps because he going outside constantly. Which again, I assumed was from being depressed because that's how he acts when my husband leaves.

Someone told me to change his food to a different brand because pedigree poisoned their dogs. I figured I would just give him time to get use to the food since he has a sensitive stomach. It's been about 3 weeks and only getting worse. He is now constantly shaking and not wanting to play at all. He's lost about 10 pounds and lost muscle. I would NEVER recommend this brand of dog food to ANYONE I know. I'm getting dressed to go buy a different brand for my baby! I feel horrible in the reason he's feeling horrible...

Pedigree Pet Foods Company Information