Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.53/5

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Pedigree Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

My Schnauzer has eaten Pedigree Steak and Vegetable Dry food for small dogs for about 6 years with what I considered mild issues such as an occasional can of the meats bursting with rot. Little did I realize that her worsening skin issues were a result of the food. She has been suffering with blisters and her skin just falling off in patches. The itching drove both of us wild. Her groomer opened my eyes to the food being the cause. I Put her on grain free from that day forward and within a week the results of the change started showing. Her blisters began healing and her mood returned to calm and peaceful after the obvious discomfort and extreme itching she suffered. At this writing (6 weeks out) she is virtually free of the awful blisters and itching! Grain Free is all I will ever feed or purchase from here on. No more Pedigree products. Raven's Mom

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

My new dog Charlie has been eating Pedigree dry since I got him. He was doing great for the first month, but now that I got a larger bag of it, he has been vomiting and had had diarrhea for over a week. After reading all these reviews, I think I'll take him off permanently.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

My dog was raised on Pedigree dry for most of his life and he has never had issues with it. I saw the gravy pouches in store I decided, "Hey what the heck why not spoil him" (I occasionally mix some wet foods into his dry and he loves it and have never had issues before). After I gave him the gravy pouch (only a little bit mixed per usual) he began to get very sick. He began to have diarrhea which became very explosive and bloody. He is now on a rice and chicken diet. I have decided to stop using Pedigree products. I'd strongly advise against feeding dogs the Gravy pouches.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

We have used Pedigree products for a number of years with no problems - both dry and canned products. However, recently we purchased a case of twelve (12) cans of Pedigree at Walmart. Both of our pups, a Yorkshire Terrier and a Pomeranian, became very sick with watery diarrhea, resulting in hospitalization for both pups. It was necessary for IV fluids to be given for two days and two nights, in addition to other medications. Also, we began to smell a very unpleasant odor in the laundry room where our dog food was stored in a cabinet and found that one can had not only bulged, but the top had ruptured and the meat contents had rotted. We found another can with a bulging top. I brought my pups home from the hospital today. They are better, but still on medication.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

We bought a case of 24 cans of Pedigree chopped canned dog food at Walmart, my dogs ate this food for about 5 days before my 15 year old started experiencing bloody diarrhea. She had the diarrhea for a good 24 hours before she started refusing food completely. I haven’t given her the food for 2 days now and the bloody diarrhea is much better. I started researching possible links to this food and I stumbled across other reviews here for the same exact issue. The Pedigree canned food I have left will be going in the trash and I will never buy this brand again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pedigree Pet Foods?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

Updated 08/22/2019: I've written a review of what happened when I fed my dogs the Pedigree Chopped Ground canned food. I also wrote an email to the parent company - Mars Petcare USA. They replied to me asking me to call them. They said they have not issued any recall on the products and encourage people that have had the diarrhea issues with their dogs to call them. Here is the info. PLEASE CALL: 'Consumers can reach us by dialing 1-800-525-5273, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. CT. If given the opportunity, we would love for you to help us encourage consumers to contact us directly.'

Original review: My dogs have been eating the chopped ground chicken and rice canned food mixed with dry food forever and loved it. I decided to get the turkey and bacon kind and the beef, bacon and cheese. After a few days the bloody diarrhea started in one dog, then another and now a third. No more Pedigree canned for my dogs. The two new flavors had a large amount of the jelly like substance in them, which I found odd. I will also add that these were purchased at Walmart.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

My dogs have eaten this specific brand and type of dog food in the past but I think based on their experience and reading the reviews there’s a bad batch out there. They both have been having very loose stool, pooping in their kennel and in the house since they can’t hold it in. Review after review talking about diarrhea. I’m going to exchange it at the store today for a different brand.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

My 10yr old beagle has been on a Pedigree dry food for years. After an issue with his teeth, we switched him to Pedigree canned food for a softer diet. The dog has been extremely sick with bloody stools, uncontrollable diarrhea and very lethargic. We have spent a lot of money on vet bills, ultrasounds, blood work, fecal tests and nothing came back. The vet put him on a special diet, antibiotics and probiotics. The diarrhea cleared up instantly but the dog really didn’t like the food. Thinking it was cleared up due to the medication, we switched him back to Pedigree canned food since he seems to really enjoy eating it - wouldn’t you know all the bloody diarrhea returned. I am in complete shock. Switched him off and he is fine again after a few days. I started looking online and couldn’t believe all the similar reviews. Save your pup and your wallet and steer away from Pedigree canned food.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

I'm experiencing the same with my dogs. My male GS who is 9 yrs and female 2yrs old. My vet put them on an antibiotic ** 500mg (treats inflammation of the large intestine for diarrhea, and they checked stools for parasites test were negative) and a 7 day rice and chicken diet. Per vet putting them back on their food Pedigree slowing after the 7 days. It started again. This time the male had diarrhea and blood in stool. The female stool was good for a few days and then started to have diarrhea again. Vet instructed me to change brands. I'm so happy I checked to see if anyone else was experiencing the same problem. I have been using Pedigree for 10 years and very disappointed; I thought it was my older German Shepherd because he getting up in age but when my younger GS started having diarrhea again. Not sure if they changed ingredients but sure I'm changing to another brand of dog food. Hoping it will be better!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I just bought 2 55 lbs bags from Costco and after a week my boxer lab mix 120 lbs dog is having grand mal seizures (uncontrolled muscle spasms, snapping his jaws open and closed, thrashing around), started out at 30 seconds and now it is up to 4 min. He had 3 12 hrs apart, went a week without eating, and then finally ate again and just had 3 grand mal seizures within 12 hrs.

Pedigree Pet Foods Company Information