Nutro Dog Food
2.05/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Nutro Dog Food

The Nutro Company has been committed to creating natural and delicious dog food since 1926. As pioneers in the natural pet food industry, each ingredient is carefully chosen with a purpose, to provide the best nutrients for man's best friend.

We know your dog's health is important to you, and it's our promise to deliver quality dog food at a price that won't break the bank. You can trust that our ingredients and processes are carefully monitored so you can focus on enjoying time with your best friend. Read what our customers have to say and then check us out for yourself!

View More View More

Looking for a good dog food brand?

3045 Nutro Dog Food Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 18, 2019

I have two Yorkies, one 16 year old with stomach issues & 12 year old with collapsed trachea issues. They absolutely love this food. I alternate and give them both (dry & wet). They have been on this food for about a year. My 16 yr old no longer has stomach issues!! Unfortunately, they discontinued only the wet chunky gravy. Luckily, the kibble was not. Onto a my journey to find something similar that they will love. Nutro Ultra please bring back the wet chunky gravy!!!

Original review: May 13, 2019

I have fed this food for years! And have had many dogs that I have rescued off the streets even on it. I see their coats get better within a week. I currently have 3 dogs that are mine, and they have been on Nutro their whole lives. I have never had a problem with them getting sick or diarrhea. Now that everyone is out of puppy stage, I feed my 3 year old Aussie and my 1 yr old Lab mix the Nutro Ultra Adult (chicken/lamb/salmon) and my 12 year old Staffie the Nutro Ultra Senior food (chicken/lamb/salmon).

I will always feed my dogs this, it has never done me wrong. They have tons of energy, shiny and soft coats, and everything. No reason to change. Any time they have gotten diarrhea or threw up has been because they have eaten a weed in the yard that didn't settle well with them. So don't blame the food, it all depends on the dog and if they have an issue. That's why there are so many dog foods out there, not every dog can eat the same thing. Try a small bag and see how your dog's reaction is on it, and then go from there.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Since we have Chihuahuas, we need the petite sized bites. These are hard to find in most brands with the nutrition we desire for them. Nutro has two varieties with the petite size kibbles and we have used them for our dogs and have suggested them to other family members with small dogs. We have found that our pets are all satisfied and healthy while using the Nutro Ultra as well as the regular Ultra. We have tried other brands, but we keep going back to the Nutro since the dogs seem to like it best and we are satisfied with the ingredients.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

We have a 10-year old Pomeranian. He has been on Nutro for about 8-years now and he really loves it! We get the Nutro Max Grain Free Mini Chunks (great for small dogs!) and the senior Hearty Stews wet food. He does great on this diet and has lots of energy and excellent fur coat. When our vet let us know to switch him over to senior food we could not find the mini-chunks in senior. Turns out they do not produce this. Our vet stated it would be OK to keep him on the adult mini-chunks but to switch his wet food to the senior option. This seems to work fine. I would recommend to Nutro to make all of their wonderful dry foods with a mini-chunk size for those of us with smaller dogs.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

My dog had a severe reaction to a flea and tick medication last fall. He’s an 8 lb long hair chihuahua. He lost 1/3 of his total body hair — developed quarter-sized sores on his skin with a severe case of seborrhea. His skin was literally peeling off of him. He stopped eating or drinking for a couple of days so we rushed him to the vet. Put on antibiotics and a fungicide — prescribed Douro Seborrhea Shampoo and we decided to do an allergy test on him for foods. After force feeding him canned food by hand for a week, he finally recovered. The allergy tests came back and the results were shocking — he was highly allergic to 19 foods out of a 25 item panel. The only thing he was NOT allergic to was lamb, beef and rabbit — that’s it. So the hunt was on for a kibble that had severely limited ingredients. After researching for a month, I finally settled on Nutro Limited Ingredient Lamb and Sweet Potato Small Bites.

Not only did it contain stuff he could eat, but the combination of ingredients was specifically formulated to help skin heal and thicken up hair. Within 2-3 weeks, my dog’s hair started regrowing and SO much thicker and shinier than it ever was before. It was noticed by my vet and the groomer. He absolutely loves the food and we even use the little kibble bits to treat him. I’ve never seen him react so positively to any food before. I was so impressed with this food, I called Nutro just to tell them about the positive experience I had with their product and how much my dog loved it. Nutro for life — I’ll never purchase any other brand.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: July 8, 2019

I've been feeding my 5 y/o Boston Terrier Nutro Max since December of 2017. I had no complaints until now. I started using a new bag about 4 days ago. The first feeding he vomited up undigested food. Same the next day. He's been eating very little of it. Last night he started vomiting up bile, and has been doing so steady throughout the night and this morning. I will be changing food and no longer using this brand.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I started to feed my 9 month old puppy Nutro Essentials puppy food (chicken/rice/sweet potato). I purchase a small bag at Wal-Mart and my dog seemed to enjoy the food clearing her bowl (which was not done with her previous brand). As I was near the end of that bag I purchased the next small bag at Pets Supply Plus. My dog ate one serving and threw up undigested food a few hours later. At the next feeding time she again ate but threw up undigested food a few hours later and proceeded to vomit bile throughout the night.

The next morning she would not eat the food or even go near her dish nor would she would drink water. I gave her ice cubes to chew on plus the bland homemade diet of rice and boiled chicken for two days. She ate and digested the homemade food without problems. I started to re-introduce the Nutro but even with only a small amount (1/4 cup) mixed into the homemade food she began to vomit bile. I stopped feeding the food and notified Nutro but no response. I will no longer be purchasing or feeding Nutro.

Original review: June 29, 2019

Our Cocker Spaniel has been in Nutro Chicken dry food since a puppy. She is now almost three. We decided to mix the Lamb and Rice in with the Chicken. Within a few days, had vomiting issues and started refusing to eat. I added some boiled chicken which regretfully made her eat the food. She became extremely lethargic. Would just sleep all day with no interest in anything and no energy. Took her to vet - took fecal sample and blood test but he couldn’t find anything wrong. Finally dawned on me about food and I went back to the chicken only. Within a day, she was back to her old self. The only thing we changed was her food.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Nutro Essentials Dry Dog Food Toy Breed has the smallest bites that I have found. The perfect chihuahua dry dog food. My chihuahua had stopped eating dry dog food, for several years. I tried just about every dry dog food there was, and she refused to eat even the best, including Blue Buffalo. She loves Nutro Toy Breed and has for several years now. She does not like the Nutro Small Breed as much as the Toy Breed. She just loves these tiny bites.

Original review: June 6, 2019

Three of my four dogs started vomiting. We took them to the vet and they were prescribed medication which didn’t help, in fact had to make an emergency call on a Sunday! They vomited their food either right after they ate it or around 3 o’clock in the morning! It was undigested food! After changing to a different brand the vomiting stopped almost immediately!

Original review: June 6, 2019

I've been feeding my dog Nutro lamb and rice since he was a 12 week old pup, started with the puppy food and then switched to adult. He is now 15 months old. About a month ago (after buying a new bag of Nutro lamb and rice) he started to throw up his food several hours after eating. This went on for 3-4 days and then he refused to eat the food. I called the Vet and started him on a bland homemade diet, he immediately stopped throwing up. After over a week on a bland diet, I started to intro Nutro again, just to have him suffer with horrible stomach gurgles and really bad diarrhea. I contacted the Mars Pet company via email with my pet's detailed story to get some info, have they changed the recipe?

Unfortunately, they sent me back a generic email with a number to call. Not helpful at all, I would have called in the first place without wasting my time had I known I would just get an automated response. Anyway, I went back to homemade food. He is doing great, I just started to introduce a new kibble (different company) and have had no issues. The last bag I bought of Nutro lamb and rice made my dog sick and I'm lucky I caught it in time before he suffered further. Please note this is a recent issue. I had senior dogs a few years ago and I feed them this same food with no issues for most of their lives. I'm very disappointed with the food and the customer service experience.

Original review: June 5, 2019

Purchased a bag of Nutro lamb mix dry food and it near killed my dog along with a friend's dog as well so I complained about it and all it was is a ** show from insurance guys sending me false information and documents from Mars and the insurance company!!!! Steer clear of these douche bags as they're criminals in every way possible.

Original review: June 4, 2019

We purchased Nutro at Walmart. Our dog has been having yellow diarrhea on & off. Now I’m reading other people are experiencing serious health issues with their pets & the use of WALMART NUTRO!!! I will never buy Nutro again or dog food from Walmart.

Original review: June 2, 2019

Long time user of Nutro Lamb and Rice small kibbles for a 17 pound adult dog. The day after opening a 6 lb. bag purchased in April 2019 our dog did not want to be touched and did not want to lie on her side. Two days later, the dog developed a yellow watery diarrhea. Her appetite and water consumption did not change during this time. Kept giving her the daily food for 3-5 more days. Diarrhea did not change. Took her to the vet who prescribed a bland diet (in limited amounts) of rice and boiled white chicken meat. Continuing the bland diet for another week, did not slow the yellow watery diarrhea. Doctor then prescribed a different probiotic and Purina EN kibble. Today is the day after the first Purina EN diet day. This morning's stool was formed, not watery, and not yellow in color. Except for Nutro purchased in April, I cannot identify other factors that might have caused the digestive upset.

Original review: May 9, 2019

It first happened "coincidentally" around the same time Nutro started selling in WalMart. I opened my dogs food and it looked wrong, but smelled fine, package intact. My pet wouldn't eat it. They had changed the formula, reducing the lamb content and increasing the chicken content - a cheaper ingredient. Both of my dogs require special diets, and cannot just change foods, which is what Nutro did. It was not on the product packaging unless you read the ingredients, or ANYWHERE on the product page of their web site - I discovered it by digging into their FAQ's. I contacted the company for a refund of my pricey dog food and when I REALLY pushed they conceded that all the lamb formula dry dog foods were being changed to increase chicken - which wasn't even supposed to BE an ingredient in my other dogs "Limited Ingredient Diet Lamb & Rice formula".

I began changing his dry food immediately to avoid the sudden ingredient shift but kept them on the Nutro canned food since it didn't appear to be having the same changes and my dogs can't change food easily. Well, 9 months later, I get 3 autoship orders in a row of the wrong kind of canned food. I even asked when I called if Nutro changed the food, but what I received is still being sold a a distinctly different product from what I ordered, and as far as the seller knew they are separate and their own warehouse had screwed up several times.

Today it happened for a fourth shipment and I was on the companies web site to get the VERY SPECIFIC info for the warehouse and discovered the product I ordered shows in a tiny picture on the side a "new look". Old product, "Chunky Chicken and Turkey Stew" "NEW LOOK" is "Turkey Sweet Potato and Green Bean". That. Is. NOT. A NEW. LOOK. The ingredients (on the actual LABEL and the ingredient list) are completely different, and once again CHEAPER. My CANINES don't eat sweet potatoes. Every product that gets a "NEW LOOK" but says nothing about the formula change is a straight bait and switch tactic to swap out for cheaper ingredients.

Original review: April 24, 2019

My lab has been on Nutro for the last 4 years. When we opened the most recent bag purchased in April 2019, my dog was sick with diarrhea that same night. She was sick for the next 4 days until we finally stopped feeding it to her and started her on a bland diet. I reached out to the company a week ago and have yet to hear back. They either changed their ingredients or something went wrong at the plant, Either way a recall is needed in my opinion. Would not recommend until they release information on what happened this spring and publish how they will fix.

Original review: April 22, 2019

I bought the adult lamb and rice Nutro dog food and started mixing 1 cup with 1 cup Purina puppy food as I was transitioning my puppy to adult food. It took about a month to get through the 15 lb bag. Then I stopped the puppy food and went solely to the Nutro. About a week in, my 6 month old border/aussie started having liquidy, yellow diarrhea. It took me about another week to realize it was the Nutro. My dog had stopped eating as much and then didn't want to eat the food at all. We thought she was sick and this was why. I would mix in a little chicken broth so she would eat (after the fact, I regret forcefeeding her this poison). She also drank very little water, which was worrisome because of the diarrhea.

She no longer played, mostly just slept, and wasn't herself. She would have accidents in the middle of the night when she was already fully potty trained. Both pees and 'poops'. They also were the most disgusting smell in the world. Nothing like a normal dog poop smell. It smelt like rancid meat and chemicals. The picture attached is not my own, but it is what her poop looked like-sometimes even less solid and almost with a gelatinous nature.

I read reviews here (luckily after only 2 weeks) and threw away the Nutro. I started feeding her a bland diet of boiled chicken and white rice. It took about 4-5 days before she took her first solid poop again! She also regained her energy and went back to being her normal, hyper little self. I kept her on chicken and rice for another 2 weeks then switched her to Fromm dog food. She has been perfect ever since (that was 4 months ago). I believe NUTRO would have killed her had she eaten it 1 more week. Why is there no recall yet? #doglivesmatter

Original review: April 16, 2019

I got a bag of this for my 4 month old German Shepherd because of the good reviews and it was a horrible mistake! After about a week and a half my puppy would throw up in his kennel around 5:30-6:340am, like clockwork. A yellow bile substance. I thought it was because of the late night treats he would get before bed, but when I cut those out he would still do it 3 nights a week. He was also consistently gaining 3 lbs a week on the food we started him out on, which was Purina One Large Breed puppy Food. Well the past 2 weeks he has maintained and even lost a pound. Did some digging on the food and it is apparently a thing with Nutro, the throwing up in the middle of the night. I feel bad that he was on it for as long as he was!

Original review: April 16, 2019

We have been using Nutro Chicken/Brown Rice Large Breed Puppy food for our Wheaten Terrier since he was 12 weeks old and he seems to like it a lot. He is 1 1/2 years old and we are switching to Large breed Adult Nutro Chicken/brown rice. Made in U.S.A without anything added from anywhere else.

Original review: April 14, 2019

I buy food that has meat in the first couple of ingredients. I avoid any non-meat meal or meat by-products. Peas are something that should be down the ingredients label. Look for vitamins and minerals with a strong percentage of proteins.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Bear died with complications of Protein Losing Enteropathy due to bad batch of this food. I cannot begin to tell people how guilty I feel for feeding him this. I am lost without him. Shame on you Nutro and shame on Petsmart for selling it.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Our three dogs are healthy and have shiny, thick coats. Other dog food brands we have tried seem to have caused itching and dull coats. Ingredients indicate Nutro is a healthy, grain-free pet food.

Original review: April 12, 2019

We have been feeding our Mia, Nutro Essentials Small Breed dry dog food since she was a puppy. She's going to be 5 this Sunday. I opened a new 15lb. bag of the Nutro Essentials Small Breed Adult and she started puking a few hours later. Not realizing it was the food making her sick for a couple days, went to feed her breakfast and she would not eat it. Just looked at the bowl and looked me. Put two and two together then.

I called the store where I bought it and was told they were getting many calls recently about this very issue with Nutro foods and was told to bring it back and they would help me find a new dog food for her. We are very disappointed with the Nutro company for not being forthcoming about their ingredient change. Our pets are our family and would never knowingly feed them something that would make them sick. Shame on you Nutro, spent money on new bag designs and getting that word out, but when it came to the dog food recipe change you said nothing.

Original review: April 12, 2019

We buy her Limited Ingredient Diet venison food. For the biggest bag it is about $70. One of the most expensive in the Pet Store. You cannot buy it at the grocery store. The price, availability, make me not want to buy it. However it’s the only food that my dog poops out Solid. It does cause her stool to be black.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Own three dogs of varying ages, size and activity levels. Dogs are healthy and satisfied. I feel the food is a bit pricey but worth it. I use auto delivery and reorder via Chewy.com for best available pricing and convenience.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I have been feeding my dogs Nutro for Years. I feel as if this food has given them the best life possible. No unnecessary vet visits, healthy teeth, gums, over all good health. Love this food and so do my dogs.

Original review: April 9, 2019

We went through many dog foods to find the one right for our Rottweiler. Nutro has been the best so far for his sensitive stomach. He loves the taste and does not have any bad side effects with this brand. Thank you!

Original review: April 8, 2019

My dog's breeder recommended Nutro Ultra and I've fed my dog this food all his life. He has GREATLY exceeded the life expectancy for his breed -- he is nearly 14 (vs. normal expectancy of 8-10 years) and his health has been excellent.

Original review: April 6, 2019

My Miniature Poodle is over 16 years old and has been a picky eater for most of her life. Last year I tried a different food for her. NUTRO WHOLESOME ESSENTIALS, small breed Senior. I basically fill her bowl, and she eats what she wants, normally about a cup and a half. Great product. J **, Charlotte NC

Original review: April 5, 2019

In general it is very good dog food but my dog lost its interest in eating it unless I add additional wet food together. We have also try other brand of dog food but we like Nutro for its nutritional value (less filler content and also right balance of protein content). Comparing to Blue Buffalo brand which has too high protein content it will lead to weight gain issue for most dogs.

NUTRO Pet Foods expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Nutro has been providing natural ingredients to pet food since 1926. Nutro’s commitment to healthy and safe pet food keeps their formula tailored for each stage of a pet’s life. Nutro is also active in local and national pet communities through its dog park appreciation program, its partnership with RESCUE BANK pet food distribution program, its support of the Natural Disaster Search Dog Foundation and its sustainability efforts.

• Nutro Rotations: Nutro Rotations is a dog food product designed to add variety to your dog’s diet. Rotations’ recipes are interchangeable, meaning that you can switch between food bags without harming your dog’s stomach. This brand of food is designed for dogs up to seven years old and 65 pounds.

• Farm’s Harvest: Farm’s Harvest dog food combine kibble with farm-raised fruits and vegetables for a balanced, nutritious meal. Farm’s Harvest is available for small and large dogs of all ages.

• Nutro Ultra: Nutro Ultra is a specialty dog food that uses nutrient-packed food designed to build muscles, improve vision, keep coats shiny and maintain a healthy immune system. Ultra products are available for toy, small and large breeds of all ages.

• Wild Frontier: Wild Frontier is Nutro’s high-protein dog food. This food is grain-free and is designed for active dogs.

• Greenies: Nutro’s Greenies dog treats are designed to improve pet health. Greenies Dental Chews help dogs maintain healthy teeth and gums, and Greenies Pill Pockets are treats that make feeding your dog medicine easier.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
      Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Nutro Dog Food Company Information