Nutro Dog Food
1.24/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Nutro Dog Food

The Nutro Company has been committed to creating natural and delicious dog food since 1926. As pioneers in the natural pet food industry, each ingredient is carefully chosen with a purpose, to provide the best nutrients for man's best friend.

We know your dog's health is important to you, and it's our promise to deliver quality dog food at a price that won't break the bank. You can trust that our ingredients and processes are carefully monitored so you can focus on enjoying time with your best friend. Read what our customers have to say and then check us out for yourself!

View More View More

3012 Nutro Dog Food Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 23, 2019

He (Lab) loved his Nutro wholesome essentials when we first got him at 8 weeks old. Now at 10 months old, within the last month or so he has been puking early in the mornings and constantly eating grass to make himself sick, and has been having severe diarrhea. We have been feeding him the lamb and rice dry food. It was to the point where he didn't touch his food for over 24 hours. First thing we did was change his food. And guess what, he is back to normal! Recently Nutro has changed their ingredients to make it cheaper and using more chicken meal. We switched him to Go! Solutions by Petcurean. We highly recommend if you are having issues with Nutro.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I have been feeding my Pomeranian JoJo Nutro Small Breed and Toy Breed and when he eats he's not active and just sleeps. No energy and two days ago he vomited yellow bile. I am upset cause I didn't know Nutro is making dogs sick. It's shameful they kept this a secret at the expense of my dog eating food that is making him sick.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Want to claim this page for your business? Learn More
    Original review: March 12, 2019

I raised both ten year old Papillons on this food. Recently I started seeing it on the shelves at places like Walgreens and Dollar General. This gave me great pause. 2 years ago we adopted a larger rescue and starting buying the Nutro cans of the same food. There was so much gel, the poor dog began having horrible re-flux issues. We stopped and bought more of the smaller packs for her as well. About 2 months ago we bought a case of the chicken and rice from PetSmart and had to return it. The food inside was old and grey tone. They apologized and gave us the "new" look packets.

The recipe which I knew first hand as I hand fed one of my older dogs, had changed. They added sweet potato to the chicken and rice which only had peas before. The Lamb has that same gel found in the cans. All of my dogs got diarrhea and acid re-flux. Their poop was green and yellow. Total bile from their insides. I am angered beyond reason. I have spent thousands of dollars over the years on their food, and now have to scramble to find something my 10 year old can eat, who has been eating this since he was a year old.

Shame on them. DO NOT FEED your dogs this food and do not believe a word they say about not changing the recipe. It's an absolute lie. I have had this food in my hands literally feeding my little one who has tooth issues. The recipes are the worst made with the cheapest ingredients. Shame on PetSmart, and Chewy who didn't notify their customers of this change. However, it seems that PetSmart bought Chewy.com and receives product fairly cheap. They just pass on the garbage to our dogs. SHAME!

Original review: March 5, 2019

I have been feeding my 3 dogs Nutro wet food packaged in the small trays, for the past 5 years. Nutro changed their packaging and formula for the worse. Not only do my dogs not like it, it has made them sick. By process of elimination it was determine that the new formulation Nutro was the culprit. I’ve read online reviews of many pet owners having experience the same results as I have. I noticed when I opened a tray that it has way too much gelatin. I would say 20% of the tray is nothing but gelatin. I actually had to scoop it off before I feed them. Never again! I wish Nutro would bring back their old formula.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I have been feeding my Boston Terrier Daisy Nutro natural for seven years. She became ill in August and I did not make the connection with Nutro until recently. She passed away on August 20, 2018 suddenly. 40s before she passed away she stopped eating as much then two days later she became lethargic. And she passed away two days later. My son’s dog a boxer only nine years old passed away from cancer of the tumor in his brain and in his mouth and he also ate the Nutro natural dog food. His dog and my dog play together all the time and eat the same food. I Daisy was only a trooper just turned nine. They’ve been together since they were born and now they’re both gone, With one thing in common Nutro natural. If you’re reading all these reviews and seeing how other pets Responded to it, I really think the loss of these two sweet pets was aided by Nutro natural.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: March 1, 2019

I have a 10-month old miniature Dachshund who has always been fed Nutro wet food and Nutro kibble. I have been buying the 12-pack turkey and chicken trays since he transitioned to adult food after his neuter a couple months ago. Over the last couple weeks, he has been reluctant to eat, which is odd because he usually eats anything and everything. He’s also been less energetic after meals and wanting to lie around after eating. Last night after dinner, he began vomiting violently and having explosive diarrhea, tremors, and loss of motor function. I’m handing the remaining unopened trays of food over to the vet in hopes she can identify what in the food caused his symptoms.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

My 2 Yorkies have been getting sick off of this dog food. I have bought this dog food for the past 7 - 9 years and I never realized that my dogs were getting sick periodically. This would happen when the labeling and or ingredients would change from time to time. I noticed this particular time that my "Lamb" diet food was not being eaten and when I decided to wash my dogs bowl I noticed this "Lamb" diet smelled strongly of fish. My dogs currently have diarrhea and have been very lethargic.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

If I could give negative stars I would. Our regular vet had us put our Golden Pyrenees on Nutro nearly 2 years ago to help with her weight... She loved food, especially if it was within her reach such as dinner table, kitchen counter. It seems that Nutro changed their packaging and even naming of food not long ago which, I read here others think they changed the formula and I’m inclined to agree since her symptoms showed up about 2 35 lb bags into the change. She never had nor was suspected of having any heart issues but her diagnosis from vet hospital, after xrays, ultra-sounds, visible symptoms, blood work was DCM and CHF, Thrombocytopenia, Pulmonary thromboembolism and cranial vena cava thrombosis and Acute Kidney Injury.

Her symptoms began about a week or so before hospitalization with nebulization/oxygen cage when she began hacking/coughing, before that she was panting like she was hot so I did all I knew to cook her down (groomed/thinned her fur and bought cool pad for her bed). I thought the hacking was possibly hairball until a couple days after hacking started, she fainted. Symptoms upon hospital admission: thrombocytopenia, mild pleural and abdominal effusion, neutrophilia, mildly elevated liver enzymes, azotemia, dyspnea-hemoptysis-epistaxis, facial swelling and Bloody black tar stools.

Finally, symptoms escalated, became more lethargic, nearly unresponsive, and coughing up blood. We were on the verge of transferring her to another clinic to try a hyperbaric chamber, before coughing up blood, but vet questioned if she would survive the transfer. I was willing to sell the moon and the stars to save her but once she began coughing up blood the vet said it was from the lungs... We had to let her go. We lost her 10/10/18. They did put her on 1000 mg of taurine and 1000 mg L-carnitine, which I know is along the lines of this whole “grain free” issue. Please check your dogs blood work if on this or any grain free food. Find a supplement to add if you don’t change foods.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I have 2 dogs, a 10 yo and a 2 yo. They have both been eating Nutro Small Bites Lamb and Rice. The 10 yo has been on Nutro for many years. They both threw up yellow bile 4 days ago and they both suffered loss of motor function. After finding this site, with others having similar experiences with Nutro, we switched their food. The 2 yo bounced back immediately. It took the 10 yo 72 hours to get most of his motor function back. We will not feed them Nutro ever again!!!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

We fed our dog Nutro dry dog food since she was a pup. Normally purchased the food at Petsmart. In November of 2018 I discovered that Walmart started carrying the same food, still branded Nutro in the exact same bag, for several dollars cheaper. Those of you that know Nutro realize this food is not cheap. Within a week my dog started getting sick - at that time we did not suspect that it was the food. She continued to eat it and became sicker. With Vets input we changed food and there was much improvement in her BM - from water to a paste. Later discovered it was in fact the Nutro HOWEVER we caught it too late (please mind that this dog was taken to the vet on a regular basis and no illness was ever ignored, or treatment postponed).

Tried to contact Nutro without any response whatsoever. I did learn that they changed the contents of the food when they went for the mass market Walmart appeal to lower their production cost. Stay away fro this brand and this company. They don't care two ** about animals not even to the point of responding to assist you in saving your dogs life. Had I been able to find out what changed, we would have been able to treat her for the poison they package! Instead of petting my 3 year old Rottie, I now get to look at the urn in which she is placed. May she rest in peace and Nutro go down in flames!!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

These treats gave all 3 of my dogs food poisoning, one of them almost died. This company will not respond to anything about this experience and denied this experience even after I provided them with the vet bill/notes showing that they had food poisoning. Do not buy these treats. Their treats have been recalled in the past. These treats are dangerous!!!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

We have a 10-year old Pomeranian. He has been on Nutro for about 8-years now and he really loves it! We get the Nutro Max Grain Free Mini Chunks (great for small dogs!) and the senior Hearty Stews wet food. He does great on this diet and has lots of energy and excellent fur coat. When our vet let us know to switch him over to senior food we could not find the mini-chunks in senior. Turns out they do not produce this. Our vet stated it would be OK to keep him on the adult mini-chunks but to switch his wet food to the senior option. This seems to work fine. I would recommend to Nutro to make all of their wonderful dry foods with a mini-chunk size for those of us with smaller dogs.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

My dog had a severe reaction to a flea and tick medication last fall. He’s an 8 lb long hair chihuahua. He lost 1/3 of his total body hair — developed quarter-sized sores on his skin with a severe case of seborrhea. His skin was literally peeling off of him. He stopped eating or drinking for a couple of days so we rushed him to the vet. Put on antibiotics and a fungicide — prescribed Douro Seborrhea Shampoo and we decided to do an allergy test on him for foods. After force feeding him canned food by hand for a week, he finally recovered. The allergy tests came back and the results were shocking — he was highly allergic to 19 foods out of a 25 item panel. The only thing he was NOT allergic to was lamb, beef and rabbit — that’s it. So the hunt was on for a kibble that had severely limited ingredients. After researching for a month, I finally settled on Nutro Limited Ingredient Lamb and Sweet Potato Small Bites.

Not only did it contain stuff he could eat, but the combination of ingredients was specifically formulated to help skin heal and thicken up hair. Within 2-3 weeks, my dog’s hair started regrowing and SO much thicker and shinier than it ever was before. It was noticed by my vet and the groomer. He absolutely loves the food and we even use the little kibble bits to treat him. I’ve never seen him react so positively to any food before. I was so impressed with this food, I called Nutro just to tell them about the positive experience I had with their product and how much my dog loved it. Nutro for life — I’ll never purchase any other brand.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Bought a bag of Nutro thinking it was quality food. Started feeding it to my GSD on Thursday and almost immediately she started with diarrhea. It's now Sunday and it has got so bad that she is suffering. I have come to the conclusion it's the Nutro food because she was fine before I started feeding her this. The dry food is the only change made to her diet so it must be this Nutro dry causing her problem. Now I have to throw away an almost full bag of food. Not risking feeding her any more of this.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Earlier this year, my young dog started itching and I was wondering about a food allergy. She was on Nutro Small Bites for adults. Food allergies are a tricky thing to diagnose, but after reading all the horrid reviews, we decided to make a change and we just put her on Castor & Pollux brand. She hasn't had any problems since. Since my senior was doing well on his food that he had eaten for over 5 years, we continued giving Him the Nutro Senior.

We buy food at the commissary, not a big box store, so my hypothesis is we have been buying reserve food and finally caught up with the current production that is making dogs puke and giving diarrhea. We opened a new bag last week and he was dry heaving like he was sick and had bloody stool at first. I didn't know he was on a new bag as my husband takes care of that, but when the projectile diarrhea started, my husband admitted he was on a fresh bag of food and we may have caught up to everyone else. We moved my senior to the Castor & Pollux food and I was confused because they don't have a senior line but it says on the packaging it's for all stages, making it really easy to just buy and serve!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I purchased Nutro Dog Food on Saturday, 1/5/19 at the Walmart in Sevierville, TN. I fed a total of 4 cups to my puppy, 2 cups per meal time. This was my first time purchasing Nutro Dog Food of any type. I read the ingredients, I liked the packaging and I felt that the food would be good for my puppy. My puppy consumed all 4 cups of the puppy food. Later that evening, she became very lethargic; no jumping and running around, no smiling, no licking, and no playing.

However, she had an extreme thirst for that evening and all of the following day, Sunday, 1/6/19. So we gave her DOUBLE the amount of water we normally give her the latter part of Saturday, all day Sunday, and Monday morning. No thinking it was the dog food, when I gave her 2 cups of Nutro puppy food on Sunday morning, 1/6/19, she would not eat it. In fact, she did not eat all day, but she had massive bowel movements all day Sunday and it continued Monday morning, 1/7/19. After her last massive poop on Monday, 1/7/19, she started feeling much better. Around 11:00 am on 1/7/19, she became hungry for the first time in over 24 hours. We fed our puppy baked chicken and rice, she returned to her normal self. We will never, ever feed her Nutro dog food.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

My dog ate for a few weeks, then one day started throwing up yellow bile and had bloody diarrhea for about a week. I took her to the vet and she got Rx dog food, antibiotics and a clean bill of health. Assumed it was something she might have eaten off the street (this happened before because of that, we live in a city), so never thought it would be the dog food. She stopped wanting to eat it so much after that, but I thought perhaps because it was a weight management formula (so less tasty?). Anyway, she spent time at my mother's house where she ran out of this dog food and ate my mother's dog's food and gobbled that up and had no problems. We came home and two days back into this dog food she is throwing up yellow bile and has bloody diarrhea again. After reading the reviews, clearly it's this food! Will never buy Nutro again.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

My dog has eaten this for a couple years. Lately she does not want to eat it. This last bag I purchased, she ate for two days, twice a day. Each time she got sicker and sicker. The last time after throwing up, she was literally foaming at the mouth. I cleaned it off and watched for several hours as her nose and mouth had excess dripping and saliva dripping. My dog never, ever has nasal or saliva dripping. She was very ill. I have not fed her any more and changed her food. She now eats happily and is doing much better. I thought I was buying her one of the best foods on the market but now I know better. Never again.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Came to the site looking for answers regarding diarrhea, I'm sure 100% is the Nutro small bites because both of my dogs got sick at the same time, same day of making the switch, I have Schnauzers. They will go back to their old food tomorrow.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Introduced my dog to Nutro and within a few days she started having diarrhea and bloody stools. Switched her back and she seems to be doing better. I see many reviews with the same problem. Don't buy this poison.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

We have had a healthy happy active dog. Even at 12 years old people are always shocked at how young he acts. We have fed him Nutro for a while now, and this last batch has cost us hundreds in vet bills. He started vomiting yellow bile, pooping blood and mucus, then it escalated to bloody vomit all within a week of starting this bag. We had no idea what was causing this. Took him to vet, and they could not find anything wrong after a bunch of tests. Put him on a bland rice and chicken diet and he was great for 2.5 weeks. We slowly introduced the Nutro back in and 2 days later he vomited more blood than before. It took him 2 days to snap out of whatever daze he was in. This food would have killed him. NEVER NEVER GIVE THIS FOOD TO ANY PET.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

While traveling home from West Virginia for work I remembered we were almost out of puppy food for our Labradoodle. I stopped at a Rural King and decided to try the Nutro puppy food. Mixed it with the remaining food but by the third day he was vomiting about 90 minutes after eating as well as acting like a old dog not a puppy. I first thought he found something outside and ate it while going out to do his business but not the case. After Googling I found all these other reviews and the problems from 2008 and stopped giving the food. Made a emergency run to the pet store and switch to another brand. So far so good. No problems. He is back to bouncing off the walls

I did call Nutro. They sent me a email requesting a lot of information off the bag which I just sent them. Also said they would reimburse me for the food so hold on to your bag and give them a call. Maybe they can find the problem and others will not have to go through this. Even though I probably won’t try it again. I don’t really enjoy cleaning up vomit. Enough for a second chance. Nutro is also owned by Mars Incorporated which I just find weird.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have been buying this for my dog for years, but recently she has been vomiting up the food, bile only! She even got to the point she wouldn’t eat at all, so I have been giving her boiled chicken and rice for a few weeks now and no problem. Poop is back to normal and she’s not eating grass or lethargic anymore. Please stop feeding this product to your animals. This is insane. I purchased the food at Walmart here in Virginia.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

We have been using Nutro brand dog food (adult /lamb) for about 6 months. I've noticed my dog has been vomiting a few times a week, sometimes only a few times a month. Originally I thought it could have been the breath freshener drops I was adding to the water; however, we discontinued this product 3 months ago and the vomiting has continued. Unfortunately I located a series of questionable reviews dating back over 10 years when the company was under investigation for dog illness and death. I will be switching products.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I've been feeding my now 15 year old Jack Nutro for almost 2 years now. About a week ago she started becoming lethargic and hiding under furniture, which is totally out of character for her even at her age. Shes a jack and always been very active. She then started vomiting only bile and pretty violently and stopped wanting to eat her kibble (also out of character). I switched her to rice and boiled meat as I was worried she was starving and she gobbled it up, no appetite problems there. The next day I mixed a little bit of the kibble with some warm water and wet food. All she would do is lick the food and then pick out the kibble and spit it on the ground. This is when I knew it had to be something wrong with the kibble. Saw other reviews having the same problem as me and I discontinued feeding her the Nutro kibble right away. Slowly her bowel movements have been improving along with her mood. It's a big "No" for me from this point on.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

My mini schnauzer, like the other reviewer's dogs, was on Nutro and it made him ill. He was quiet and kind of depressed looking, not active, then came the diarrhea with mucous and blood and lots of it (I was having to clean his rear by hosing it off or showering him, then wiping/blotting dry) - none of which is his norm. I was buying small Nutro bags at my local Stop N Shop Food store after his last food wasn't holding his interest, thought I'd switch him off for a while then eventually go back. I kept him on this poison for almost 3 weeks before making the connection.

The timeline was exact between starting Nutro and any symptoms. The diarrhea and blood got worse and worse, he would go out frequently yet still had several accidents in house, had an uncontrollable urgency to go. When I finally realized and stopped Nutro the blood lessened right away and was gone within about 24 hours. He's still not 100% health wise but improving. Its been almost a week. Some diarrhea at times but not with urgency, no blood, no more accidents in house. Signs of his old personality peek through, but this really did a number on him, so still waiting to see him back to normal.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

For over a month my dog had been vomiting bile every day. I thought it was the usual dog hair vomit from her constant licking so I let it go. I finally took her to the vet and he suggested Hills Prescription Diet canned food. He also gave me a prescription for vomiting. I gave her one dose of the prescription and fed her the canned food. It was almost immediate that her demeanor changed and she hasn’t vomited once since the food change. I suspected it might be the food because she would eat it toward the end of the day but it was almost because she felt like it was better than nothing and I really thought she was avoiding it.

Poor dog. $320 later I google Nutro Dog Food and found tons of complaints with the same vomiting complaints and worse. Do NOT feed your dog Nutro. I am convinced this was the culprit all along. I wish I had saved myself the trip to the vet and read the reviews here first. Her bloodwork came back fine so clearly the stomach/digestive issues were the food.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

We have a 4 year old Chesapeake Bay Retriever. She has been the perfect eater since a Pup, Never missed a meal. Never turned her nose up to a meal. Just recently we switched her food up as we have done in the past and decided to try Nutro. Our dog who will eat anything without an issue, eats this food when she is given it, But instantly gets sick right after eating it. We give her boiled white rice and chicken right after this and it goes down and stays down. The Vet was thinking she has a bug, but suggested the rice and chicken to see her response, So we have narrowed it down to the Nutro food. This bag was purchased in the Maryland Eastern shore region, And consumers should stop this food the minute they see their Pet have a reaction to it. We all Love our pets and the Dog food industry should be more regulated as to how these foods are prepared.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I just switched to Wild Frontier Vital Prey Diet by Nutro about a month ago along with people food some of the time. I just purchased the bigger cans & have been giving my Pomeranian more of the Wild Frontier dog food... Well she started getting runny dark stools, diarrhea and acting like she doesn't feel good...so I started looking up what could be causing it and switched her off the Nutro [Wild Frontier] and any other Nutro...feeding her turkey, pumpkin, a little plain yogurt. It cleared right up and I will not risk feeding her Nutro products again!!!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Was visiting family and their doodle had periodic bouts of diarrhea which I did not believe was normal. They had been using pumpkin as a supplement to help their dog improve their stool. We switched her off of the Nutro Lamb and rice and successfully this pup improved. I did a search on Nutro and Diarrhea and was very happy to see that there is an explanation with all of the experiences that others are having. Though it takes time, it is critically important to package a bag and take to your vet for them to document to the FDA for further investigation.

NUTRO Pet Foods expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Nutro has been providing natural ingredients to pet food since 1926. Nutro’s commitment to healthy and safe pet food keeps their formula tailored for each stage of a pet’s life. Nutro is also active in local and national pet communities through its dog park appreciation program, its partnership with RESCUE BANK pet food distribution program, its support of the Natural Disaster Search Dog Foundation and its sustainability efforts.

• Nutro Rotations: Nutro Rotations is a dog food product designed to add variety to your dog’s diet. Rotations’ recipes are interchangeable, meaning that you can switch between food bags without harming your dog’s stomach. This brand of food is designed for dogs up to seven years old and 65 pounds.

• Farm’s Harvest: Farm’s Harvest dog food combine kibble with farm-raised fruits and vegetables for a balanced, nutritious meal. Farm’s Harvest is available for small and large dogs of all ages.

• Nutro Ultra: Nutro Ultra is a specialty dog food that uses nutrient-packed food designed to build muscles, improve vision, keep coats shiny and maintain a healthy immune system. Ultra products are available for toy, small and large breeds of all ages.

• Wild Frontier: Wild Frontier is Nutro’s high-protein dog food. This food is grain-free and is designed for active dogs.

• Greenies: Nutro’s Greenies dog treats are designed to improve pet health. Greenies Dental Chews help dogs maintain healthy teeth and gums, and Greenies Pill Pockets are treats that make feeding your dog medicine easier.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
    Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Nutro Dog Food Company Information