Nutro Dog Food
2.00/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Nutro Dog Food

The Nutro Company has been committed to creating natural and delicious dog food since 1926. As pioneers in the natural pet food industry, each ingredient is carefully chosen with a purpose, to provide the best nutrients for man's best friend.

We know your dog's health is important to you, and it's our promise to deliver quality dog food at a price that won't break the bank. You can trust that our ingredients and processes are carefully monitored so you can focus on enjoying time with your best friend. Read what our customers have to say and then check us out for yourself!

View More View More

3035 Nutro Dog Food Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 13, 2019

I have fed this food for years! And have had many dogs that I have rescued off the streets even on it. I see their coats get better within a week. I currently have 3 dogs that are mine, and they have been on Nutro their whole lives. I have never had a problem with them getting sick or diarrhea. Now that everyone is out of puppy stage, I feed my 3 year old Aussie and my 1 yr old Lab mix the Nutro Ultra Adult (chicken/lamb/salmon) and my 12 year old Staffie the Nutro Ultra Senior food (chicken/lamb/salmon).

I will always feed my dogs this, it has never done me wrong. They have tons of energy, shiny and soft coats, and everything. No reason to change. Any time they have gotten diarrhea or threw up has been because they have eaten a weed in the yard that didn't settle well with them. So don't blame the food, it all depends on the dog and if they have an issue. That's why there are so many dog foods out there, not every dog can eat the same thing. Try a small bag and see how your dog's reaction is on it, and then go from there.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Since we have Chihuahuas, we need the petite sized bites. These are hard to find in most brands with the nutrition we desire for them. Nutro has two varieties with the petite size kibbles and we have used them for our dogs and have suggested them to other family members with small dogs. We have found that our pets are all satisfied and healthy while using the Nutro Ultra as well as the regular Ultra. We have tried other brands, but we keep going back to the Nutro since the dogs seem to like it best and we are satisfied with the ingredients.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 5, 2019

In general it is very good dog food but my dog lost its interest in eating it unless I add additional wet food together. We have also try other brand of dog food but we like Nutro for its nutritional value (less filler content and also right balance of protein content). Comparing to Blue Buffalo brand which has too high protein content it will lead to weight gain issue for most dogs.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

We have a 10-year old Pomeranian. He has been on Nutro for about 8-years now and he really loves it! We get the Nutro Max Grain Free Mini Chunks (great for small dogs!) and the senior Hearty Stews wet food. He does great on this diet and has lots of energy and excellent fur coat. When our vet let us know to switch him over to senior food we could not find the mini-chunks in senior. Turns out they do not produce this. Our vet stated it would be OK to keep him on the adult mini-chunks but to switch his wet food to the senior option. This seems to work fine. I would recommend to Nutro to make all of their wonderful dry foods with a mini-chunk size for those of us with smaller dogs.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

My dog had a severe reaction to a flea and tick medication last fall. He’s an 8 lb long hair chihuahua. He lost 1/3 of his total body hair — developed quarter-sized sores on his skin with a severe case of seborrhea. His skin was literally peeling off of him. He stopped eating or drinking for a couple of days so we rushed him to the vet. Put on antibiotics and a fungicide — prescribed Douro Seborrhea Shampoo and we decided to do an allergy test on him for foods. After force feeding him canned food by hand for a week, he finally recovered. The allergy tests came back and the results were shocking — he was highly allergic to 19 foods out of a 25 item panel. The only thing he was NOT allergic to was lamb, beef and rabbit — that’s it. So the hunt was on for a kibble that had severely limited ingredients. After researching for a month, I finally settled on Nutro Limited Ingredient Lamb and Sweet Potato Small Bites.

Not only did it contain stuff he could eat, but the combination of ingredients was specifically formulated to help skin heal and thicken up hair. Within 2-3 weeks, my dog’s hair started regrowing and SO much thicker and shinier than it ever was before. It was noticed by my vet and the groomer. He absolutely loves the food and we even use the little kibble bits to treat him. I’ve never seen him react so positively to any food before. I was so impressed with this food, I called Nutro just to tell them about the positive experience I had with their product and how much my dog loved it. Nutro for life — I’ll never purchase any other brand.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: May 9, 2019

It first happened "coincidentally" around the same time Nutro started selling in WalMart. I opened my dogs food and it looked wrong, but smelled fine, package intact. My pet wouldn't eat it. They had changed the formula, reducing the lamb content and increasing the chicken content - a cheaper ingredient. Both of my dogs require special diets, and cannot just change foods, which is what Nutro did. It was not on the product packaging unless you read the ingredients, or ANYWHERE on the product page of their web site - I discovered it by digging into their FAQ's. I contacted the company for a refund of my pricey dog food and when I REALLY pushed they conceded that all the lamb formula dry dog foods were being changed to increase chicken - which wasn't even supposed to BE an ingredient in my other dogs "Limited Ingredient Diet Lamb & Rice formula".

I began changing his dry food immediately to avoid the sudden ingredient shift but kept them on the Nutro canned food since it didn't appear to be having the same changes and my dogs can't change food easily. Well, 9 months later, I get 3 autoship orders in a row of the wrong kind of canned food. I even asked when I called if Nutro changed the food, but what I received is still being sold a a distinctly different product from what I ordered, and as far as the seller knew they are separate and their own warehouse had screwed up several times.

Today it happened for a fourth shipment and I was on the companies web site to get the VERY SPECIFIC info for the warehouse and discovered the product I ordered shows in a tiny picture on the side a "new look". Old product, "Chunky Chicken and Turkey Stew" "NEW LOOK" is "Turkey Sweet Potato and Green Bean". That. Is. NOT. A NEW. LOOK. The ingredients (on the actual LABEL and the ingredient list) are completely different, and once again CHEAPER. My CANINES don't eat sweet potatoes. Every product that gets a "NEW LOOK" but says nothing about the formula change is a straight bait and switch tactic to swap out for cheaper ingredients.

Original review: April 24, 2019

My lab has been on Nutro for the last 4 years. When we opened the most recent bag purchased in April 2019, my dog was sick with diarrhea that same night. She was sick for the next 4 days until we finally stopped feeding it to her and started her on a bland diet. I reached out to the company a week ago and have yet to hear back. They either changed their ingredients or something went wrong at the plant, Either way a recall is needed in my opinion. Would not recommend until they release information on what happened this spring and publish how they will fix.

Original review: April 22, 2019

I bought the adult lamb and rice Nutro dog food and started mixing 1 cup with 1 cup Purina puppy food as I was transitioning my puppy to adult food. It took about a month to get through the 15 lb bag. Then I stopped the puppy food and went solely to the Nutro. About a week in, my 6 month old border/aussie started having liquidy, yellow diarrhea. It took me about another week to realize it was the Nutro. My dog had stopped eating as much and then didn't want to eat the food at all. We thought she was sick and this was why. I would mix in a little chicken broth so she would eat (after the fact, I regret forcefeeding her this poison). She also drank very little water, which was worrisome because of the diarrhea.

She no longer played, mostly just slept, and wasn't herself. She would have accidents in the middle of the night when she was already fully potty trained. Both pees and 'poops'. They also were the most disgusting smell in the world. Nothing like a normal dog poop smell. It smelt like rancid meat and chemicals. The picture attached is not my own, but it is what her poop looked like-sometimes even less solid and almost with a gelatinous nature.

I read reviews here (luckily after only 2 weeks) and threw away the Nutro. I started feeding her a bland diet of boiled chicken and white rice. It took about 4-5 days before she took her first solid poop again! She also regained her energy and went back to being her normal, hyper little self. I kept her on chicken and rice for another 2 weeks then switched her to Fromm dog food. She has been perfect ever since (that was 4 months ago). I believe NUTRO would have killed her had she eaten it 1 more week. Why is there no recall yet? #doglivesmatter

Original review: April 16, 2019

I got a bag of this for my 4 month old German Shepherd because of the good reviews and it was a horrible mistake! After about a week and a half my puppy would throw up in his kennel around 5:30-6:340am, like clockwork. A yellow bile substance. I thought it was because of the late night treats he would get before bed, but when I cut those out he would still do it 3 nights a week. He was also consistently gaining 3 lbs a week on the food we started him out on, which was Purina One Large Breed puppy Food. Well the past 2 weeks he has maintained and even lost a pound. Did some digging on the food and it is apparently a thing with Nutro, the throwing up in the middle of the night. I feel bad that he was on it for as long as he was!

Original review: April 16, 2019

We have been using Nutro Chicken/Brown Rice Large Breed Puppy food for our Wheaten Terrier since he was 12 weeks old and he seems to like it a lot. He is 1 1/2 years old and we are switching to Large breed Adult Nutro Chicken/brown rice. Made in U.S.A without anything added from anywhere else.

Original review: April 14, 2019

I buy food that has meat in the first couple of ingredients. I avoid any non-meat meal or meat by-products. Peas are something that should be down the ingredients label. Look for vitamins and minerals with a strong percentage of proteins.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Bear died with complications of Protein Losing Enteropathy due to bad batch of this food. I cannot begin to tell people how guilty I feel for feeding him this. I am lost without him. Shame on you Nutro and shame on Petsmart for selling it.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Our three dogs are healthy and have shiny, thick coats. Other dog food brands we have tried seem to have caused itching and dull coats. Ingredients indicate Nutro is a healthy, grain-free pet food.

Original review: April 12, 2019

We have been feeding our Mia, Nutro Essentials Small Breed dry dog food since she was a puppy. She's going to be 5 this Sunday. I opened a new 15lb. bag of the Nutro Essentials Small Breed Adult and she started puking a few hours later. Not realizing it was the food making her sick for a couple days, went to feed her breakfast and she would not eat it. Just looked at the bowl and looked me. Put two and two together then.

I called the store where I bought it and was told they were getting many calls recently about this very issue with Nutro foods and was told to bring it back and they would help me find a new dog food for her. We are very disappointed with the Nutro company for not being forthcoming about their ingredient change. Our pets are our family and would never knowingly feed them something that would make them sick. Shame on you Nutro, spent money on new bag designs and getting that word out, but when it came to the dog food recipe change you said nothing.

Original review: April 12, 2019

We buy her Limited Ingredient Diet venison food. For the biggest bag it is about $70. One of the most expensive in the Pet Store. You cannot buy it at the grocery store. The price, availability, make me not want to buy it. However it’s the only food that my dog poops out Solid. It does cause her stool to be black.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Own three dogs of varying ages, size and activity levels. Dogs are healthy and satisfied. I feel the food is a bit pricey but worth it. I use auto delivery and reorder via Chewy.com for best available pricing and convenience.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I have been feeding my dogs Nutro for Years. I feel as if this food has given them the best life possible. No unnecessary vet visits, healthy teeth, gums, over all good health. Love this food and so do my dogs.

Original review: April 9, 2019

We went through many dog foods to find the one right for our Rottweiler. Nutro has been the best so far for his sensitive stomach. He loves the taste and does not have any bad side effects with this brand. Thank you!

Original review: April 8, 2019

My dog's breeder recommended Nutro Ultra and I've fed my dog this food all his life. He has GREATLY exceeded the life expectancy for his breed -- he is nearly 14 (vs. normal expectancy of 8-10 years) and his health has been excellent.

Original review: April 6, 2019

My Miniature Poodle is over 16 years old and has been a picky eater for most of her life. Last year I tried a different food for her. NUTRO WHOLESOME ESSENTIALS, small breed Senior. I basically fill her bowl, and she eats what she wants, normally about a cup and a half. Great product. J **, Charlotte NC

Original review: April 4, 2019

I love the easy to read and natural ingredients. My dog's particular favorite (as of today...he changes) is the sweet potato and any meat...so you've got choices. Feed your dog the way you would your humans...with love and wholesome nutrition for a full belly and happy days!

Original review: April 3, 2019

When I first got Roscoe he was on a high end food that made him "explode." For my dogs, in the past, I've used Nutro Lamb & Rice and, once I started feeding it to Roscoe he has had very little stomach difficulties.

Original review: March 31, 2019

We fed our dog canned Nutro food since we got him at 8 weeks and he loved it. Nutro decides to change the formula and add chunks of vegetables in it and he won’t eat it. Hasn’t eaten in two days. Had to change brands of dog foods. Thanks a lot Nutro!!

Original review: March 25, 2019

Suddenly making my 18 month old dog sick. My little dog has been on this food since she was a puppy.. I bought a bag a few weeks ago... She started throwing up. Urinating in my house, passing gas.. And did not seem herself. I would have never thought it was the food causing issues.. Being I have given to her since she was 3 months old.. There were also times she refused to eat it! We could not figure out what was wrong with her. I was so worried I ended up calling my vet and was told to start eliminating everything I feed her one at a time for a few days. Well she has been off this for a few days now and has been perfect! NO MORE ISSUES! This food needs to be recalled ASAP!

Original review: March 24, 2019

Within a few hours of feeding this product to our dog he began having stomach distress, with frequent loud expulsions of gas, followed by severe diarrhea. He's a house trained adult who never "goes" indoors, but he was incontinent and has had a number of accidents. No indication of this being a problem but now when you go to the Nutro website and try to pull up the webpage for this product, it appears to have been taken down.

Original review: March 23, 2019

He (Lab) loved his Nutro wholesome essentials when we first got him at 8 weeks old. Now at 10 months old, within the last month or so he has been puking early in the mornings and constantly eating grass to make himself sick, and has been having severe diarrhea. We have been feeding him the lamb and rice dry food. It was to the point where he didn't touch his food for over 24 hours. First thing we did was change his food. And guess what, he is back to normal! Recently Nutro has changed their ingredients to make it cheaper and using more chicken meal. We switched him to Go! Solutions by Petcurean. We highly recommend if you are having issues with Nutro.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I have been feeding my Pomeranian JoJo Nutro Small Breed and Toy Breed and when he eats he's not active and just sleeps. No energy and two days ago he vomited yellow bile. I am upset cause I didn't know Nutro is making dogs sick. It's shameful they kept this a secret at the expense of my dog eating food that is making him sick.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I raised both ten year old Papillons on this food. Recently I started seeing it on the shelves at places like Walgreens and Dollar General. This gave me great pause. 2 years ago we adopted a larger rescue and starting buying the Nutro cans of the same food. There was so much gel, the poor dog began having horrible re-flux issues. We stopped and bought more of the smaller packs for her as well. About 2 months ago we bought a case of the chicken and rice from PetSmart and had to return it. The food inside was old and grey tone. They apologized and gave us the "new" look packets.

The recipe which I knew first hand as I hand fed one of my older dogs, had changed. They added sweet potato to the chicken and rice which only had peas before. The Lamb has that same gel found in the cans. All of my dogs got diarrhea and acid re-flux. Their poop was green and yellow. Total bile from their insides. I am angered beyond reason. I have spent thousands of dollars over the years on their food, and now have to scramble to find something my 10 year old can eat, who has been eating this since he was a year old.

Shame on them. DO NOT FEED your dogs this food and do not believe a word they say about not changing the recipe. It's an absolute lie. I have had this food in my hands literally feeding my little one who has tooth issues. The recipes are the worst made with the cheapest ingredients. Shame on PetSmart, and Chewy who didn't notify their customers of this change. However, it seems that PetSmart bought Chewy.com and receives product fairly cheap. They just pass on the garbage to our dogs. SHAME!

Original review: March 5, 2019

I have been feeding my 3 dogs Nutro wet food packaged in the small trays, for the past 5 years. Nutro changed their packaging and formula for the worse. Not only do my dogs not like it, it has made them sick. By process of elimination it was determine that the new formulation Nutro was the culprit. I’ve read online reviews of many pet owners having experience the same results as I have. I noticed when I opened a tray that it has way too much gelatin. I would say 20% of the tray is nothing but gelatin. I actually had to scoop it off before I feed them. Never again! I wish Nutro would bring back their old formula.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I have been feeding my Boston Terrier Daisy Nutro natural for seven years. She became ill in August and I did not make the connection with Nutro until recently. She passed away on August 20, 2018 suddenly. 40s before she passed away she stopped eating as much then two days later she became lethargic. And she passed away two days later. My son’s dog a boxer only nine years old passed away from cancer of the tumor in his brain and in his mouth and he also ate the Nutro natural dog food. His dog and my dog play together all the time and eat the same food. I Daisy was only a trooper just turned nine. They’ve been together since they were born and now they’re both gone, With one thing in common Nutro natural. If you’re reading all these reviews and seeing how other pets Responded to it, I really think the loss of these two sweet pets was aided by Nutro natural.

NUTRO Pet Foods expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Nutro has been providing natural ingredients to pet food since 1926. Nutro’s commitment to healthy and safe pet food keeps their formula tailored for each stage of a pet’s life. Nutro is also active in local and national pet communities through its dog park appreciation program, its partnership with RESCUE BANK pet food distribution program, its support of the Natural Disaster Search Dog Foundation and its sustainability efforts.

• Nutro Rotations: Nutro Rotations is a dog food product designed to add variety to your dog’s diet. Rotations’ recipes are interchangeable, meaning that you can switch between food bags without harming your dog’s stomach. This brand of food is designed for dogs up to seven years old and 65 pounds.

• Farm’s Harvest: Farm’s Harvest dog food combine kibble with farm-raised fruits and vegetables for a balanced, nutritious meal. Farm’s Harvest is available for small and large dogs of all ages.

• Nutro Ultra: Nutro Ultra is a specialty dog food that uses nutrient-packed food designed to build muscles, improve vision, keep coats shiny and maintain a healthy immune system. Ultra products are available for toy, small and large breeds of all ages.

• Wild Frontier: Wild Frontier is Nutro’s high-protein dog food. This food is grain-free and is designed for active dogs.

• Greenies: Nutro’s Greenies dog treats are designed to improve pet health. Greenies Dental Chews help dogs maintain healthy teeth and gums, and Greenies Pill Pockets are treats that make feeding your dog medicine easier.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
    Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Nutro Dog Food Company Information