Nutro Dog Food
2.03/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Nutro Dog Food

The Nutro Company has been committed to creating natural and delicious dog food since 1926. As pioneers in the natural pet food industry, each ingredient is carefully chosen with a purpose, to provide the best nutrients for man's best friend.

We know your dog's health is important to you, and it's our promise to deliver quality dog food at a price that won't break the bank. You can trust that our ingredients and processes are carefully monitored so you can focus on enjoying time with your best friend. Read what our customers have to say and then check us out for yourself!

View More View More

2969 Nutro Dog Food Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Been feeding our dogs Nutro Wholesome Essentials Healthy Weight Adult Pasture Fed Lamb & Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food for years. My 11 year French Pug is deathly allergic to chicken so this WAS a safe food until now. Without notice Nutro changed this lamb and rice formula. Opened a new bag 3 weeks ago- first feeding my dog was vomiting and having diarrhea. I had purchased a new bag from Amazon like usual- only to learn our trusted stand by now has chicken meal listed as the 5th ingredient. Same label, no warning!

It’s going on 3 miserable weeks since that one meal from the antagonistic chicken protein in this kibble. We've since spent over $400 at the vet between meds, lab tests and treatment for our poor Fonzie. He's not out of the woods yet. For now Fonzie is eating canned rx Royal Canin Gastro. Thanks Nutro for screwing up a good thing and almost killing my dog. After feeding your food for 10+ years, you've lost a loyal customer. I will never trust Nutro again -ever!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Never buying a Nutro product again!!! We have two dogs, a Border Collie and a Chihuahua. They started with diarrhea and our Chihuahua had blood and mucus in his. I took him to the vet and they really couldn't tell me what was wrong. He was put on an antibiotic for a week with a special canned food for digestive problems, and charged me $130.00. We also noticed they were not eating the food any longer. I Googled Nutro Wholesome Essentials - adult and found all of the reviews, and knew we found the problem. That food was slowly killing our dogs!! Nutro, we are done with you!!

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I have been buying Nutro dog food for my dogs for years, but I will never buy another bag. For the last three weeks I have been struggling to figure out what has been making my dogs ill, but now I know that it is the Nutro dog food. I know this because I have taken them off the food and put them on a bland diet of chicken, rice, and broth and they improve. As soon as I reintroduce the Nutro, the yellow mucus and ultimately blood in the stools returns as well as the vomiting.

Unfortunately, it took me three cycles of doing this to my animals before I figured it out. We took them on a weekend trip during the first bout of illness (right after I bought the new bag of food) so we blamed the trip and stress. We tried to reintroduce the Nutro when they improved after about a week and they got sick all over again. We incorrectly assumed their stomachs just weren't ready for kibble yet. Now after 3 weeks and both dogs being in good health for about a week, I slowly introduced the food back into their daily diet, and bam--both sick again. I am convinced The Nutro is the cause, and it's not the first time their food has made animals sick.

Called Nutro's consumer care number and after sitting on hold for 15 minutes I managed to talk to an agent and make my complaint. I asked if they have had any similar reports and the agent said, "We don't have any recalls or anything at the moment so I don't think so." Sure thing. This site tells me otherwise. They are sending me a voucher for a new bag of food which I will be throwing away along with this bag. Nutro really doesn't seem to care that they are potentially killing people's pets.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Nutro Wholesome Essentials Feed Clean Dog and Cat Dry Kibble sounded great on the label, but my dog and cat ignore it. I had tried different flavors, chicken vs. Salmon and had the same issues with cat and dog. Upon mixing it with their wet food, they got stomach issues, {mucousy stools, bleeding (my dog)} and throwing up. My cat just ignores the bowl of kibble now, it has sat there for weeks, even when I dumped it and tried more of the new flavor, (chicken to salmon). When mixed with wet food, it caused her to throw up, which she never did before. I called Nutro reading that they add garlic to the food, but they said it was a safe amount. Please read your other reviews with numerous similar complaints including their beloved pets dying. I do not wish to take that chance with my precious fur family members.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I started using Nutro Wholesome Essentials Chicken small breed adult, about A month ago, because it was GMO free. Dogs that normally eat within minutes, started leaving food within a week of feeding it, to the point of some not eating it at all. After about 2 weeks of feeding this food, I noticed vomiting and loose stools, to Bloody Diarrhea. Every dog showed the same symptoms. As soon as I took them off this food All is back to normal. There is Definitely something wrong with this food. There needs to be a Recall before some possibly die.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Our dog became overwhelmingly sick with gastroenteritis after starting a new bag 1.5 week ago. She is currently hospitalized. We have been buying Nutro for years, but not anymore. The number of similar cases in such a short amount of time is frightening.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

My boyfriend and I had a 7 year old Pit that we had to lay to rest three days ago after switching to Nutro two weeks before his death. It began with loss of balance/limping five days after the switch. Then the vomiting and diarrhea started. He couldn't hold down a thing, not even the liquid food from a syringe. Then his kidney and liver failed. Over 4k in vet costs and never had an answer. This food poisoned our dog.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I started feeding my 12 year old Eskimo Spitz mix Nutro Wholesome Essentials and at first I thought she was doing wonderful on this food. 3 weeks pass and her hair is falling out in masses and she began vomiting bright yellow piles all over my house. The next day she began to have blood specks in her vomit. I did my research and saw similar complaints affecting large amounts of dogs on this food due to ingredient change. I poured the whole bag in the garbage and refuse to feed her anymore. Do yourself and your furbaby a favor. Choose another food.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

My dog is 9.5 yrs. WE have been using Nutro her entire life. About a year ago, I noticed A LOT of dry yacking and coughing, all day, everyday. I thought it was maybe her age, but recently she has been vomiting her food up everyday for the past month. I switched to a better brand suggested by my pet store. Immediately, my dog has no coughing, no yacking and no VOMIT! It's been over a week. I can't believe how much of a daily happiness switching made both of us. Sleeping at night and feeling better. Even her potty responses have changed SIGNIFICANTLY! I'm so shocked how a dog food was basically slowly destroying and killing my dog. I CAN'T THANK THE PET STORE ENOUGH FOR SAVING US AND IMPROVING DAILY LIFE. I'm so happy my dog can now eat in peace!!!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

My dog Pepper is a healthy 7-year old Chihuahua Jack-Russell mix, and I've been feeding her Nutro Wholesome Essentials (chicken, small-breed) for a couple years now due to the raving reviews. I noticed this year she has started throwing up somewhat often, but I didn't think it was her food since she'd been doing well on it for a long while.

I recommended the food to my parents since my dog had been doing well and the food was good quality. They purchased Nutro Ultra (small breed) for their two chihuahuas, both healthy, 1 and 3 years old. Immediately after feeding the Nutro, both dogs vomited. Over the duration of 3 weeks on the Nutro, both dogs have become noticeably more lethargic, frequently vomit, and one now has mucusy, bloody diarrhea, messing in the house where he usually never does. These are both normally highly energetic dogs and haven't been known to have any stomach or health issues prior. After a day of feeding them their old diet, they have already perked up and have kept the food down.

After learning and seeing the effects, I looked into the dog food more thoroughly and found many complaints and reviews of the exact same experiences. My own dog hasn't had symptoms quite as severe, but I'm now concerned that her stomach sensitivity, decreased energy, and now hair loss may be attributed to the Nutro food. I will be switching her off immediately. I will now be keeping up with dog foods every couple months to recheck their quality and researching foods more thoroughly, especially before recommending it. Just be warned, there is something in this food that seems to be making a lot of dogs sick, and potentially killing them. Always research and keep up with your dog's food, especially if anything seems off.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

BEYOND ANNOYED! My name is Stephanie and I used to work for your company years ago as a food demo'er. I am now a LVT (licensed vet tech) and have seen what you have done to people's pets first hand. I was your #1 supporter and would try to convert any and every pet owner I knew to switch to your food. I was recently advised that your ingredients had changed in all of your diets and now chicken is your #1 ingredient in all of the food. WHY ON EARTH would you do this and not tell your customers that you made that change? People bought lamb and rice because it was lamb and rice and lamb (lamb meal) was the first ingredient. This was the food that you based all of your posters and literature off of and your #1 seller, I know I use to work in the pet stores as well. Now chicken and chicken fat come before the actual meat you have listed as the foods 'flavor".

Any time we had a animal come in with a possible allergy issue we would instantly tell them to switch to your lamb and rice because we knew the ingredients that were in it and knew that 90% of the time it would take care of any issue. This is because 90% of dogs and cats with food allergies are allergic to CHICKEN AND BEEF!!! I was appalled to see all the bad reviews in the last few months on your page and can't believe that your company has not bothered to mention anything to anyone yet that the change happened and what you are planning on doing about it. You are making dogs/cats sick and the only reason it's not news is that it's not from something like salmonella, or high metal content.

I use to trust this company with my life and the life of my pets. I would stand up to anyone that would try to say they had a better food than yours and NOW I CAN'T TRUST YOU EITHER! At this point you have lost one of your biggest supporters and I will be pulling both my dog and cat off of your food. I will also be doing the same for my sister's animals and anyone that I come in contact with will know what you have done and can make the choice themselves. I am just beyond disturbed that a company that had the reputation that you did wouldn't have thought about the consequences of what you just did.

Original review: July 20, 2018

If it were not for this website and the reports that I found here, I would never have known what it was that was making my dog so sick for the past 6 months that I was pretty sure I was losing him. He was so sick that I called the in-home euthanasia vet, asking them to be on standby for me. I have been feeding my dog Nutro Lamb and Rice dry food for the past 12 years. I learned the hard way that he was VERY allergic to any kind of chicken product or anything with ANY kind of fowl, and I have been very careful to make sure that there was NEVER any chicken or other fowl ingredient in ANY food or treat that he ate. Now I have learned that Nutro decided to add CHICKEN to the "Lamb and Rice" formulation - WITHOUT PROVIDING ANY NOTICE TO THE CONSUMER ABOUT THE CHANGE. This is unconscionable. My dog was so sick... not eating... lethargic... and his whole body was covered with sores and his skin was literally falling off his body.

We have seen the vet multiple times over the past 6 months, and he seemed to get better at one point, but I think that was because I had perhaps gotten an older bag of the formulation that did not contain chicken. When he got very sick again, and I found this website and the information about the food, I ran to the bag that I had been using, and found that the second ingredient listed on the bag is now chicken. I was HORRIFIED. I knew immediately that this is what was making my dog so sick, and my poor dog had been dealing with this for almost 6 months. HOW COULD A COMPANY THAT I TRUSTED DO THIS TO ME AND ALL OF THE OTHER DOGS OUT THERE THAT ARE ALLERGIC TO CHICKEN????

If they had placed a label on the front of the bag to notify the customer of the change, I would NEVER have purchased the food. This is positively unconscionable to me. I CANNOT fathom how any responsible company could do something like this. My dog is still sick, but he is under treatment with my vet. I am hoping he will recover, but I do not know if he will. This has taken such a toll on his health, and on me. I am furious with Nutro and I am still trying to figure out what further action I can take to try and save other dogs from the problems that my poor dog has gone through. This has shaken my faith in the dog food industry.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Our Yorkie has been sick for several days with vomiting and diarrhea. As I was searching for reasons why I came across the Nutro complaints of this dog food. In May, 2018, our little Shih Tzu passed away and we had no idea why, she was going on 13 years old. As I read the complaints on this website, I see others have experienced the same or similar events. She started coughing with a sound like trying to clear her throat. Within 2 days of the onset of that, she died. Nothing can ever replace our sweet little dog, she was so precious and special to our whole family.

I just want to warn others to be aware of this food. We used Nutro Petite Eats Wet Dog Food for them for about 2 years, but only in the last 2 months did they get sick on it. Perhaps something changed at the company; but I don't know. Please be very careful what you feed your little pets. If only I had read the reviews before we bought Nutro; it is my belief that our little sweetheart would still be here.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I have Upc and exp dates, the puppy Nutro Max is killing my baby and making other one sick. My third dog is on a special diet and has no issues and he is 14. My pit currently has liver and kidney failure suddenly and had a clean bill of health one month ago. My other dog is normally hyper, has been vomiting and diarrhea. I pulled her off food and she got better. My pit has damage that is irreversible and he is dying. Please do not buy this product. From now on I will just make my own pet food, so upset at the money I spent to save my baby and it isn't doing any good because of bad food. PLEASE AVOID THIS FOOD!!!

Original review: June 14, 2018

I started my Lab mix on Nutro Grain Large Breed Grain Free dog food (Chicken, Sweet Potato, and Lentils recipe) 2 years ago. I fell in love with the product, and her digestion issues resolved. Something has definitely changed in the past 2 months. She stopped wanting to eat, became lethargic so much so that she didn't want to go on walks, and started experiencing foamy vomiting and diarrhea with blood in her stools. I noticed the air tight sealed bin that I store it in had bugs in it suddenly. PetSmart refunded me the food and said it was most likely a bad batch. I purchased the product again with full assumption that that was the case. Things seemed to get better for a week, but sure enough we were right back where we were by week 2.

Ironically I've just discovered these bugs again but they've spread to the floor. Every homeowners worst nightmare! Exterminator said they are grain mites that likely were brought in from the dog food or its packaging. They're cream colored, very hard to spot as they are the size of a grain of salt. Not sure if this is the cause or if it's a change in formula, but ironically our PetSmart had all recipes from the brand pulled from the shelves when I went in to purchase her Blue Buffalo. Hard to believe it's coincidental. Truly won't be shocked if they issue a recall soon, but either way I will never go back. Our dog's issues resolved immediately after switching to Blue Buffalo.

Original review: June 11, 2018

We switched our 8 month old Australian Shepherd puppy to Nutro dog food about a month ago. After about a week he started having really bad diarrhea. We woke up one morning to several accidents all around the house, and he had NEVER pooped in the house until then. He also began vomiting frequently. We took him to the vet and they gave us probiotics to put on his food and a prescription.

He quickly started feeling better so we figured he just had a tummy bug. Fast forward about 2 weeks later after he finished the prescription and priobiotics regimen he started having diarrhea and vomiting again. We started to be suspicious of the Nutro food. The vet gave us some more probiotics and a few more of the prescription pills and he started feeling better almost instantly. We switched his food back to that which he had been on since he started eating solid food, and we haven’t had any problems since. After reading some of these other reviews, I am suspicious that there has been a recent bad batch of this brand of food.

Original review: June 10, 2018

We have been feeding our 2 Scotties Nutro Lamb and rice formula since they were puppies. Something has happened to their formula. At first we thought it was because we changed to the "chicken" flavor but as it turns out that is not the case. Our dogs now suffer from diarrhea, throws up mucus, had blood in his stool. We just don't understand what has happened to their product. I am taking this dog food back to get a refund. BUT most importantly DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT. I will be calling the company regarding this matter.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Wholesome Essentials, Large Breed Adult: We've been giving our dogs Nutro for 6 years. Never have our 2 German shepherds been so ill like they have for the last month! I would take them off the dog food and let them fast for 24 hours with plenty of water. Then I give them boiled chicken, yams and rice. They would immediately do better with attitude, playful and solid stools. With the Nutro, diarrhea with blood and heavy mucus. I just bought 4 40lb. bags. They are going back to the store for a full refund. To include the bag that I just opened! What's up? Have they changed the formula, added some chemicals, this is NOT funny! Fortunately, my husband had the sense to check the web for any recalls or bad reports on this product. I am so disappointed to find so many recent bad reviews! Now I know why they are so sick, lethargic, and have severe diarrhea.

Original review: May 21, 2018

We have had our border collie on Nutro dog food since she was a puppy. Our dog is almost 9 years old and the last bag we bought she had diarrhea so bad that I had to throw out an expensive rug. We had her on the lamb and rice senior dog food. I stopped feeding her the Nutro immediately and cooked rice for her and gave her ** and started her gradually on new food and she is better. Apparently the formula has changed and it certainly is not for the better so be careful with this dog food. It's most unfortunate.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I fed Nutro Dog Food for years before the MARS corporation purchased it. I have since had problems on and off for years with my dog and never linked it to Nutro until recently. My dog was vomiting frothy mucus with blood after eating Nutro, was lethargic, and not himself. I put him on rice then rice and boiled chicken and all the symptoms went away until I started feeding the Nutro Dog Food again. After a few days of feeding the food he started vomiting frothy mucus with blood again. When I stop feeding Nutro and feed the rice the symptoms and all vomiting go away. I had no idea all these years the food I have trusted was making my dog sick. I have included an image of a sample of the bloody vomit that I have collected for the vet each time.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I was so glad to find a food that my dog could eat! She’s allergic to a lot of foods and she needs to be on a lower protein food because she has Struvite Crystals. I was so glad to find a lamb grain free limited ingredient food with only 20% protein for her. She does really well on this food!

Original review: May 12, 2018

My dog was switched to Nutro for small dogs earlier this year around mid December. He became increasingly ill in January though I did not identify it as the dog food right away. He seemed to lose his balance, urinated bright yellow in the house and his feces were increasingly bright yellow. When he began vomiting I took him to the vet who said it was bladder stones which were removed but he totally collapsed and refused Nutro food and became jaundiced. 5 days in ICU on other food and he recovered but with damaged liver and incontinence. Chihuahua got some of his food one week a while back and also immediately had the bright yellow feces. I took her off the food and became suspicious that the food poisoned my dog.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Just picked up a bag of Nutro small breed dry dog food (chicken) two days ago for my 7-year-old mutt. This dog can eat just about anything. Reason for the switch in food was a "free coupon" for a 5-lb bag of Nutro. Normally switching her over to new food is done carefully, blending her regular food slowly with the new. I did that two days back, then yesterday, and this morning. Came home to a major mess of 6 big puke splotches. I saw carrots in her puke, which I recall she ate on the 8th of May (today is the 10th). It was on the 8th in the evening when I started her on the Nutro. Could it be her body rejected something in the Nutro and wouldn't let it go down into her intestines? I don't care if I got a free bag of dog food, it isn't worth the life or health of my dog. Now she's sitting on the couch all balled up, it's as if her stomach hurts (?). Vet time.

Original review: May 7, 2018

We've had our 2 Cockapoos on Nutro since they were puppies, and they like it, they're staying healthy. There's too much dog food hype right now but I see no reason to experiment.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I bought Nutro Senior Chicken Dog Food Small Bites for my 12 year old Yorkshire Terrier. After feeding it 3 weeks she starting vomiting clear snotty looking gross stuff one day and was very restless. She eventually picked at her food and wouldn't finish it which she never does. This went on for a three days and I had given her stuff for her stomach but she was still acting very weird. I was ready to take her to the vet when I remembered I had just started feeding her this new dog food. I got online and saw many negative reviews about the Nutro Senior Lamb Dog Food and stopped feeding it to her immediately. I went back to my old brand and after one meal her eyes started to clear up and her smile came back. She is normally a very healthy old gal who loves to take walks and play with her squeaky toys. After one day she seemed like she felt so much better. She was showing signs of liver failure from this dog food but seems to be back to normal now.

I watch carefully about dog food recalls because many pet owners have lost their beloved pets to careless dog manufacturers who standards are sketchy. By all the negative reviews I have just seen this company and factory should be inspected from top to bottom. It sounds like foreign objects are getting into the food along with rat poop and possibly rat poison which causes liver failure. I just hope feeding this to her for 3 weeks hasn't left physical damage to her liver and overall health. I am very upset I trusted this brand and company thinking I was feeding my little girl healthy dog food only to have it make her very ill. If you love your dog stop feeding this crap. I believe this is a company doesn't care considering these bad reviews go back for a few years and it looks like nothing is being done. I hope Consumer Affairs will look into this!

Original review: April 29, 2018

Nutro Ultra has great ingredients, no by-product meal, corn, wheat or soy. Non-GMO, whole grains and 3 different proteins. My dog is 11 years old and 14 pounds, she likes the toy breed size. Little, easier for her to chew.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Both of my lab mix dogs have been on Nutro for years. In April 2018 I noticed a change. They were itchy and were having upset stomach issues including diarrhea and vomiting. I could not figure out what was going on until I reviewed the Consumer Affairs website. I decided to contact Nutro directly and let them know what was going on, they immediately responded. Please contact them if you have any issues so they can resolve the bad batch or ingredient that may be causing all the issues for our pups.

See below as a part of Nutro's response email: "Like you, we believe in a better world for pets, and one-on-one conversations with dog owners help us do that. However, ConsumerAffairs.com is not affiliated with Mars Petcare. This means we have no way of contacting consumers who record their experiences on websites like this, but we certainly want to speak with them about their concerns. Consumers can reach us by dialing 1-800-525-5273, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. CT. If given the opportunity, we would love for you to help us encourage consumers to contact us directly."

Original review: April 20, 2018

I'm not usually one to write a review, but my dog recently passed from liver failure and while I was doing a little research to see what could've caused it I came across all of these reviews for the Nutro lamb and rice senior dog food and it sounded all too familiar. My dog has always been on Nutro since he was about one. I thought he had a sensitive stomach, but now I'm not so sure if it was him or the food, so I would have to switch his food every so often but always stayed with the Nutro brand because it came highly recommended from his obedience trainer.

As soon as he turned 7 I switched him to the lamb and rice senior because the vet said he might benefit from the senior food since it's easier to digest. I never really had a problem until just recently and it started the same as most of the other reviews on here did. He stopped eating he had very unhealthy stools, he was vomiting. I brought him to the vet and we did blood work that came back with slightly elevated liver enzymes. One week later and he had to be put down. The vet was shocked at how quickly he declined. It very well might not of been the food but I wanted to get my story out there since this is just one more incident of a dog getting very sick and passing on this food! I reached out to Nutro and I haven't heard back from them yet, I just would like the food to be recalled for the safety of all of our dogs! If the new formula is the problem they should let the consumers know.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I have Bought and fed Nutro to my dogs for almost 20 years. I had a Beagle mix by the name of Spencer that was switched to the Nutro for seniors back in 1999 - 2006. Spencer was 11 years old. I had him on Costco food and was told to get him off of it and feed Nutro. Within 1 week there was a dramatic difference. Spencer went from a lethargic old dog to a puppy. Lots of energy, his coat shined and no skin problems. I live in an area where my vet said she was surprised my senior dog had no skin issues. Spencer lived to be 17 years old. The vet was amazed at how long he lived and how healthy he was. I truly believe he lived longer because of Nutro food. So I decided I was not going to feed my dogs anything else.

In 2006 I rescued a Mini Dachshund. His ribs were sticking out and weighed 3 pounds at a year old. The woman told me he did not eat much. I had to hand feed Bosley for 2 weeks before he ate on his own. He was scared to eat out of bowl. I fed him the Nutro Chicken, Brown Rice and Oatmeal Recipe for small dogs. He went from weighing 3 pounds to 8. He is at perfect weight now. He did very well on the food at first. 2 years later Bosley was a Dad to a litter of all girls. I took one of the girls and named her Lily. Both dogs did well on the food until around a few years ago. I did not notice until my groomer started pointing things out.

My dogs' coats were not shiny anymore. Both dogs have developed cysts. Bosley has a huge one under his armpit and multiple others on legs and head. His poos are runny with mucus in it. Lily has one cyst on her head and back. Her skin is black in armpit area, she has itchy paws. She has not been able to keep the food down lately. Throwing up the food all the time. It has gotten worse since Nutro changed their recipe. No notice, just switched it. It is now Chicken, Brown rice and sweet potato (instead of oatmeal). They took some important ingredients out. They swear they have not changed much. But my old bag and new bag tells a different story. I decided to try Nutro Ultra. It’s most expensive and has some good stuff in it. Both dogs got sick. I mixed there old formula 75% to 25% Ultra. I tried the Lamb flavor. They both like the little lamb meals, so I tried the Lamb kibble. Mixed it with old food and both got sick.

Nutro is not a good Dog food anymore. I liked the Nutro company and found that they sold Nutro to a Candy company. Mars Incorporated. What the heck is a candy company making dog food. No wonder my dogs' health is not well anymore. My dogs are doing terrible on Nutro and it does not matter which kind. Nutro is not a cheap dog food. I am so upset over what has happened to Nutro. I was a loyal customer and it used to be a fantastic dog food.

I have been looking for a replacement dog food. Looking for the Best. After months of research I believe I have finally found a dog food. It’s Wellness core raw/rev grain free turkey/chicken formula. Both dogs love the taste and both kept the food down. Lily has not thrown up. Not sure if she picked around the Nutro and just ate the new food. I submitted a photo of the old Nutro small dog food and picture of the new bag. The pink bag is the old food that was good. The Chicken, Brown Rice and Oatmeal that no longer exists. I’m sure it was good until Mars Corp started changing it.

Original review: April 17, 2018

We’ve been feeding our 11yo dog this food his entire life. Around March he’d become insanely gassy. Then we noted a decrease in appetite. Then it became severe. He barely ate and vomited what he did eat. He ate grass outside and vomited that. Alarmed I had fed him & made him a smoothie of ingredients for his stomach. When he kept the smoothie down I added his kibble to it. He puked everything. My cat got into the food and puked the whole kibbles. I’d thought he was dying of old age and this was the process. I’d checked for food recalls and saw nothing. After seeing a huge list on a Facebook post I decided to call Nutro. I gave them info off the bag. Turns out they’d swapped ingredients this year. From Chicken Fat to Chicken meat.

They suggested he may be allergic to chicken, but I’d just bought a chicken can from another brand and he didn’t vomit it. They offered to refund the bag. He’s currently borderline. Drinking but not eating even the canned food. He is older and suffering from it a great deal. This food should be on a recall list. As a family we were braced for the worst and still are. My poor fella is already old, me hand feeding him his kibble piece by piece and making him sick over and over again is awful. Please list a recall on the Large Breed Nutro Lamb and Rice recipe.

Updated on 05/30/2018: My dog lost 30 lbs and died. Nutro/Mars claims they have no other complaints, yet this site is full of them. In February they added Chicken Meal to the Large Breed Lamb and Rice Recipe. I encourage all of you with sick pets from this food to contact Nutro/Mars and file a case. Contact the FDA. Nutro is not acknowledging the complaints on this page. We were on auto ship monthly with Chewy. The picture of Leo is from Jan 31, 2017 to May 2018. This food kicked off a vicious sickness in him and the sickness caused by his food was awful. Please call your complaints in and get case numbers. Contact the FDA. They need to be held accountable.

NUTRO Pet Foods expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Nutro has been providing natural ingredients to pet food since 1926. Nutro’s commitment to healthy and safe pet food keeps their formula tailored for each stage of a pet’s life. Nutro is also active in local and national pet communities through its dog park appreciation program, its partnership with RESCUE BANK pet food distribution program, its support of the Natural Disaster Search Dog Foundation and its sustainability efforts.

• Nutro Rotations: Nutro Rotations is a dog food product designed to add variety to your dog’s diet. Rotations’ recipes are interchangeable, meaning that you can switch between food bags without harming your dog’s stomach. This brand of food is designed for dogs up to seven years old and 65 pounds.

• Farm’s Harvest: Farm’s Harvest dog food combine kibble with farm-raised fruits and vegetables for a balanced, nutritious meal. Farm’s Harvest is available for small and large dogs of all ages.

• Nutro Ultra: Nutro Ultra is a specialty dog food that uses nutrient-packed food designed to build muscles, improve vision, keep coats shiny and maintain a healthy immune system. Ultra products are available for toy, small and large breeds of all ages.

• Wild Frontier: Wild Frontier is Nutro’s high-protein dog food. This food is grain-free and is designed for active dogs.

• Greenies: Nutro’s Greenies dog treats are designed to improve pet health. Greenies Dental Chews help dogs maintain healthy teeth and gums, and Greenies Pill Pockets are treats that make feeding your dog medicine easier.

• Best for: Dogs of all ages and sizes, especially dogs in need of healthy, nutritional food.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
    Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Nutro Dog Food Company Information