Nutro Dog Food

Nutro has been the highest quality product for dog nutrition consistently in my experience. I pet sit and would recommend it to my clients for their dogs.

I have a five year old mixed breed (Shih-Tzu and Terrier). I adopted him when he was just 5 weeks old; a rescue dog from a humane shelter. When I went to Petsmart to buy food for him for the first time, a Nutro Rep was there. He talked to me about the food I had planned to buy and pointed out the differences between that brand and Nutro. I decided to try it and have bought nothing else since. My dog has never been ill and I attribute that to a good, balanced diet. I plan to stay with Nutro for his lifetime.

Our dog (chow/shepherd mix) really loves the Nutro Lamb and Rice Small Bites. She turns her nose up whenever we try something else. Every vet check-up goes well and she's had not issues. Good weight and at 11 years old, she still plays like a pup.

My dog had a very sensitive stomach and we finally found a food that seemed to treat her well. We bought about 5 or 6 different formulas of Nutro natural before we found one that didn't make her throw up. My lab did live what I consider to be a long life of 12 years. We just had to put her down 3 days ago. I thought it was normal. However this is where I started to question her becoming sick with cancer.

2 months ago my sister's dog (retriever) who was 2 months older than mine had a very sudden stroke. As it turns out she was riddled with bone cancer and a piece broke off and went to her brain. She had to be put down. My dog and my sister's dog both ate this brand of dog food. I feel it can't be a coincidence that 2 dogs who did not live together died at the exact same age both of cancer after eating the same brand of food for most of their lives. I would like for there to be some studies done into this company's food. For most of us our pets are family members and to watch them die painful deaths of cancer is heartbreaking. The only common denominator between my dog and my sisters was the food.

Please do not brush this review off to the side. You will be thankful, and it will save you expensive vet bills. It might be lengthy but the stress this brand has caused my wife, dogs, and I is unbelievable. I'm just glad our dog and puppy are still alive! My wife and I purchased a large bag of the Nutro Ultra Large breed puppy food on Nov. 21st 2016. We did extensive research on the brand and it seemed to be a well respected and trusted brand. We were fairly happy with the ingredients listed and figured we would give it a go. We started incorporating the food slowly into our 1 yr old dog's diet. We noticed that she started becoming a little lethargic. Once we switched her over completely (we assumed she was fine, really dumb I know) she began vomiting and had diarrhea. She began sleeping way more than normal and we became very worried.

One night when I was playing with her I noticed her eye looked a little puffy. Then after 10 minutes the other eye did. We called our vet and we were told to give her **. Initially it stopped the swelling, but then she started vomiting again. We woke up at 3 am because she (luckily walked on us to wake us up). My wife flipped on the lights and my dog's face was COMPLETELY swollen! Her breathing was now labored. We left and took her to the animal hospital that night so that they could control her swelling. We took her off the food, and her poop went back to normal and she has not thrown up even once. The vet said that it was probably a spider bite or a sting of some kind, but this perplexed him because it is the winter time. So we kept the $40 dollar bag of food we bought for storage, and began making her meals to ensure that she would be okay.

Fast forward to Dec. 30th. We bought my dream dog! Purebred German Shepherd with health guarantees from a reputable breeder, and champion bloodlines. Once we returned home from our long drive from picking him up, my wife gave him some Nutro Ultra (we figured at this point our other dog was either stung like the vet said, or that she had a specific allergy). The poor little guy began having diarrhea around 12 am that night, and spent most of the night vomiting. I set up an early vet appointment and we set out to see what was wrong. While waiting for our appointment I decided to see if anyone else was having problems. Lo and behold! TONS of reviews of similar, if not identical symptoms! The vet tested my dogs for parvo (which came back negative), and then said that it was likely the food that was responsible. All in all vet bills totally around $300 to ensure the health and safety of our dogs.

I see these reviews, and a lot of them are from the past few months. Yet, no recall yet? Really? Avoid this brand of dog food. Do your research, or if you have the time make the food yourself. It's not worth the risk to see your puppies suffer because you want to give this food a try. I beg you! If I could give this product 0 stars I would. I will be contacting the manufacturer to let them know that their product shouldn't be sold. Period. I hope they have some more information as to why this is happening!

We bought our food from Chewy.com and they said that they would also begin researching this issue, and get back to us about this. Side note: Chewy seemed genuinely concerned, and I would still recommend them to anyone. Sorry for the long winded review. You want a happy healthy dog? Look elsewhere, because if you buy this food, you will have some expensive vet bills coming your way. Possibly even a dying dog on your hands. Do not put yourself through it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

My dog has just switched over to Nutro from Science Diet (it was recommended to me at PetSmart by an employee) and everything went fine with the first bag. The first bag was the small bites. His poop was a little lighter than normal but I figured it was due to the lighter color of the food. The second bag he is on now (bought a few days after Thanksgiving in Lafayette, Louisiana) which is not the small bites has caused terrible vomiting and diarrhea multiple times a day. I thought it was some kind of stomach bug but after reading the other reviews I am sure it is this food. DO NOT LET YOUR PET SUFFER FROM THIS FOOD!!! My poor baby.:(

Purchased through Chewy.com - as with other reviews my 11 year old black lab has been eating this food for years and never had a problem. My brother dog Sat her on Friday and within 5 minutes after feeding her, she vomited all up immediately. I thought maybe she was just nervous not being home so a while later he fed her some toast which she kept down. As soon as he fed her this food for dinner she vomited again. The next morning foam and bile. I racked my brain - what could it be?? And then realized that the only thing different was that it was a new bag so I decided to google it and found these reviews. I had him stop the food immediately and he fed her Blue Buffalo grain free food that his dogs eat and she has been perfect since. If my dog had been a smaller size I'm sure it would have been much more serious. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE NUTRO FOOD AGAIN.

We have used Nutro for many years but for the past year we noticed that our dog was getting some severe diarrhea on and off when we fed him. We took him to our vet and we were told that there was nothing wrong. We noticed one of the stores we purchased his Nutro dog food from pulled all of the Nutro products off of their shelves without notice or explanation. We quickly decided to switch his food because that seemed a little odd plus we began reading the complaints about this food. After the switch his poop is back to normal and he has a lot more energy. This is not a case of his food didn't agree with him, it's a case of there is something terribly wrong with Nutro!

I have 3 dogs and two of them have been on Nutro Lite Adult 1+ Chicken, Whole Brown Rice & Oatmeal Recipe (the 30 lb bag) for 12 years now with the 3rd being on it for over a year since we adopted him. My dogs have always loved this food and I have had no problems and I have always felt they were healthy because of this dog food. My dogs are almost 13, just turned 12 and 4 years old. I purchased the last 30 lb bag from PetSmart on November 21st of this year and all 3 of them seemed to just not want to eat the food. It was a first and I wondered why none of them seemed to have an appetite. In the time since, the two younger dogs now seem to eat it and seem to not have any issues but my older dog has just stopped eating. I have put rice in the food and he literally picks out the Nutro food and sets it on the floor beside his bowl so he can more easily get to the rice.

I felt at first that he was sick and just wasn't eating but when I now give him a bowl of only rice and now chicken, he gobbles it down. In the last 3 weeks, because of his lack of eating this food, he has lost several pounds (35 lb dog to start with) and is now very boney. I discovered this forum and saw so many others having the same or worse problems that had also used the food for years before with no issues. Because of this, I have now called the Mars company and have put in a formal report and if this is truly a problem with this food (which is made here in the U.S.) they need to know and they want to know, in my opinion, based on my conversation with them. Their number is 800-833-5330, Monday-Friday between 8am & 4:30pm CST... Thankfully, I still have the bag the food in question it came in and I was able to give them the batch number and expiration date (November 2017) off the bag along with the SKU number.

I believe that, unless the problems are reported, they simply won't know there is a potential problem. I would encourage you all to call the number and make the report. This company wants to hear if there are problems popping up and I hope this may save other folk's pets from health issues and heartache for their owners. We need to let them know our experiences.

Dog food (Nutro Ultra Senior Dog Food) was purchased from Chewy.com in which our dogs ate it. After eating the food both dogs were vomiting and had diarrhea. We have since changed the dog food and there is no more vomiting or diarrhea. However our old girl Gabby was 18 years old and it put her on her death bed. She went downhill fast. Sadly she is at Rainbow Bridge now. I started buying the dog food in 2010 for our Coonhound Franklin. The food was fine for a long time. Chewy told me that they would notify Nutro about this issue but I wanted to make it aware to other pet owners who may be experiencing the same problem with their dogs from the Nutro dog food.

My dog has been refusing to eat this food suddenly with the last bag I got. At first I switched up the toppers I was putting on it thinking she might have been a little under the weather or maybe just having a picky day but no matter what I added over the next few days she refused to eat it. (Even the chicken and rice that I cooked for the human members of the family) BUT she happily ate her dog cookies or any other food that did not contain any Nutro kibble. It turns out that they bag the tiny mummified remains of baby rat. I am glad my dog is vaccinated against leptospirosis as vermin contamination often causing this illness. (Perhaps this is the vomiting and illness that other owners have been describing in their reviews?) I am horrified and disgusted.

Our dog had been eating Nutro Max Puppy chicken and rice since he was a pup and we got him from the breeder. He liked the food so we only switched to adult for on October 18, 2016 when I purchased a new 30 lb bag of food adult chicken and rice from Petsmart in Cincinnati, Ohio. I started by mixing it in with his old food for the next few days. By November 7th he started vomiting 1-2xs per day. By Friday, November 11th he was vomiting 4-5xs. It would be bile, white foam. He stopped eating and became lethargic. We took him to a vet, they did x-ray after x-ray, blood work.

Finally, we took him to a second vet, they did exploratory surgery, and a biopsies. Biopsies came back salmonella. We cannot definitely determine it was Nutromax until we have a lab test this food. We are working with our vet to get this done. However, reading these other reviews that sound eerily familiar and the fact that the food was also purchased around the same time from Petsmart. DO NOT BUY THIS FOOD. Our dog is still not out of the woods and may be on antibiotics for a month.

My dog has been eating Nutro for over 8 years. It was the only food he would eat. We even tried switching him to a better brand and he stopped eating. So we continued to feed him Nutro Adult Chicken and rice. We left him with good friends to watch over the Thanksgiving holiday. They kept telling me that he was throwing up and he was not eating. And when he finally was hungry enough to eat he would immediately get sick. Upon our return he was skin and bones. He had lost almost 10 lbs. We immediately took him to the vet. The costs were so high for the tests. And they could not tell us what exactly was wrong with him. I'm not sure if it was the food but based on these other reviews I'm beginning to wonder.

Bought a 30lb bag of Nutro Adult Venison Meal, day before Thanksgiving at Pet Smart. Have used Nutro brand dog food for 14 years. Have had no problems. By Friday evening my two Schnauzers were vomiting every 7 minutes. Food 1st, then yellow bile, then blood. Went through the whole scenario of what could be wrong, did they eat anything else? Went to emergency vet, gave them 2 shots to stop vomiting. Stopped all food, started bland diet. Both dogs for 2 days did not eat, lethargic and would not have anything to do with us. Checked for any recalls, found none, but did read all the complaints online.

Called Nutro and spent 1 hour on phone. Nutro said they would contact the emergency vet and then let us know what Nutro's decision would be as to any reimbursement for food and medical expenses. Purchased bag of Royal Canin Food from primary vet. Will need to find a normal food available for further diet after Royal Canin is consumed. Very upset about this whole ordeal. It appears that contamination took place since the online complaints include dry and wet foods.

I have been feeding my Golden Retriever this food for 8 years, it had been the only one that I've used for his sensitive stomach. On October 19, 2016 I bought a new bag of Nutro Max Farm-Raised Chicken, after a few days he became ill. I've been to the vet 3 times. He has been vomiting yellow bile and had diarrhea. The first time so bad he was bleeding. All tests and blood work have been negative. He has been on antibiotics for over a month now and this seems to be the only thing working. After reading all these reviews and symptoms and looking at the time frame, I am convinced that it is the dog food. I am stopping this food immediately. This food needs to be recalled before any other dogs die.

Updated on 12/02/2016: Here is an update on what I found out today after calling Nutro to let them know that there might be a possible contamination. WARNING!/CAUTION! Nutro has rolled out a new recipe! This new recipe came out in March of this year. This is not the same recipe that they have been using in the last several years. When I told the representative at NUTRO that I've bought a bag every month since March and no illness or diarrhea she said sometimes the suppliers use the old inventory first before using the new recipe so it may take some time. Whatever is new in the new recipe may be making your dog sick if it proves to not be contaminated. Again this is not the same food you've been getting from them in the past.

I purchased a 35 lb bag at Pet Supply Store in Indianapolis right before the Thanksgiving Holiday. I always buy Nutro Small Bites, and my dogs turned their noses up. I thought that's strange, but I guess when they're hungry they'll eat it. I can't really afford to throw it away, but since my 5 dogs have eaten it they're all sick! Thanksgiving was horrible at our home this year! 5 dogs with screaming diarrhea is not my idea of a wonderful holiday. As if it's not stressful enough already.

We took them to the vet, because nothing we did helped! Our vet thought maybe a bacteria infection. Our dogs haven't been anywhere to get an infection. I believe this sincerely from my heart it's the food! My dogs never turn their noses to a meal, and it wasn't just one. It was all 5 of them...Vet trip was very expensive & all of them were prescribed **. My poor babies were bleeding. Their bottoms were so raw! Something isn't right with the last batch of food, and I thought I was feeding quality good food to my pets. Not poison! Very upset, because I've been feeding them Nutro for at least 13 yrs. Always been a loyal true blue customer...Not Anymore. I'm done!

My Yorkie has been on Nutro for 14 years. When I opened the latest bag (purchased at PetSmart) he wouldn't eat it. I thought he was being picky, so I poured chicken broth over it, added his favorite chicken jerky, but he would just eat the jerky. He vomited once, had lots of gas and was very lethargic and would only take very short walks before turning back. My husband suggested googling to see if anyone else had this problem and... wow! Something changed in the formula or contaminated this food. I am giving him boiled chicken and rice until he feels better then changing dog food.

I was in Petsmart the other day and talking to a person who worked there. Trying to find a healthy food wet and dry for my 6 month old chipoo. He recommended nutro max for puppies. I am telling you 3 days on this food my puppy is urinating very, very yellow urine in huge amounts. She is also laying down too much. I do not recommend this food for no one to eat. I will be returning this huge bag to store. I decided to cook homemade for my puppy. At least I know what she will be eating. I am glad I see the reviews here before she ate anymore of this food.

My Maltese is a picky eater and will only eat Nutro Toy dog food - for years I have been buying it without issues. I purchased a bag from AMAZON two weeks ago. Within 24 hours my Maltese was throwing up bile and was sick for several days. I stopped the food and she was fine. This week I tried it again and she got sick. It's definitely the dog food. Something is wrong with this batch! They should recall it immediately.

I'll start off by saying that I have a very energetic and robust boston terrier mix. She has an iron stomach and changes in her diet do not affect her in the slightest. She has no food allergies at all. I started her on Nutro canned wet food yesterday... Within 15 minutes she blew up in bloody hives. I gave her a potent oatmeal bath and **... Her condition continues to worsen. After looking into customer reviews I have discovered that within the past few weeks dogs have been DYING within DAYS of ingesting this garbage. Seeing my dog in this kind of pain is heart wrenching. There's no possible way it could have been caused by anything other than the dog food. I have attached a picture of my dog (Sweet Pea). These welts formed right before my eyes. This is insane!!!

First of all, I wish I had seen these reviews several months ago. I started my dachshund on Nutro senior dog food at the beginning of this year. After several months, she started vomiting, rapidly losing weight, developed a "funny" walk and urinating uncontrollably. I have taken her to the vet several times only to be told her issues are mostly related to her age (she's sixteen). She did have blood work done that showed she has early stage kidney disease and has developed chronic pancreatitis.

It wasn't until I recently started feeding the same food to my daughter's dog that I started to suspect that something was wrong with this food. She immediately started developing the same symptoms as my dog and after going to the vet and having blood work done, also has developed a case of pancreatitis. I started to feed my dog fresh, homemade dog food and her symptoms have reversed. She isn't having accidents anymore, is gaining weight and is no longer vomiting. My daughter's dog is currently on antibiotics and a prescription dog food but I expect that her symptoms will also improve.

After Googling the name of the dog food and reading all of these complaints I am very upset that this has been going on for a while and the company has been able to continue to manufacture and sell the food. I haven't called the company to complain yet, but after reading some of these reviews I'm not going to hold my breath that anything would be done about these issues anyway. I have learned my lesson and will thoroughly research a dog food before feeding it to my dog.

My lab has been eating Nutro dry dog food for years, but since opening the current bag, he is having issues that may be related. He won't eat the whole bowl like he used to and is not his usual self. After reading a few reviews here, I'm thinking a new food is worth a try.

I bought the ultra senior dog food a month ago! I feed him this food about since 2 weeks ago. The very first time he had vomiting. I thought he may not get used to the food yet, so I didn't take him to the vet. And 2nd day he was ok, so I start cutting down the dry food and mix with brown rice, carrots, and lean beef. Everything was looks fine, but last night when I get home, I noticed he is kind losing his appetites, and not active at all. I was stupid and feed him with this dry food again. Started 5:00 am in the morning, he was vomiting a lot with white foam. In the afternoon I took him to the vet, the doctor said he had infractions. We have been trying very hard to work on him. After 2 hrs later, he left me. Now, I am going to send this dry dog food to special lab and see what's in the food that kills my dog, and after I get the results from the lab, I will sue this company for my dog.

Like many others, I too have been feeding my dog Nutro brand dog food for a few years with no problems, up until the past few weeks. I started a new bag of food and she began having diarrhea, orange in color. I took her to vet who ran fecal specimen lab test and full senior blood panel - no problems showed up. Vet gave her anti-diarrheal meds. I fed her white chicken breast and white rice and her stools became normal after a few days. I slowly, over a week gradually introduced her dry food back into her diet, once she was back on Nutro fully, the diarrhea came back. She is now back on meds and chicken and rice. I know now that it's the Nutro dog food that is making her sick and I will not feed it to her again. Do not purchase Nutro dog food. My deepest sympathies to those whose pets have died as a result of feeding their dogs Nutro dog food. How many pets need to die as a result of feeding them Nutro before this product is recalled?

For a week my Pomeranian has had building issues of bile vomiting, diarrhea. The only thing I can track it to is a new bag of dog food I bought at a pet food store in San Tan Valley, AZ. I have used Nutro for years without issues but this week I am very concerned my dog may not make it. He is not quite three and I cannot afford vet bills after the loss of my husband. He has been such a comfort. After reading complaints of recent dog food problem with Nutro and same symptoms I believe that my dog's issue is this food. No more after tonight.

I've been giving my Yorkie Greenies for years. The last 2 times I gave him them he became very ill and vomited. It was shortly after each treat was given. I knew immediately it was the Greenies because my dog only eats once in the morning and once in the evening and both times the treat was given in the afternoon. This company needs to seriously look into all these complaints. It's not coincidence.

When my husband went to our pet supply store to purchase our dog food we were told it was being discontinued so the store pointed us toward "Nutro" brand dog food. Well in the month we have fed this to our miniature schnauzer she has developed HORRIBLE Schnauzer bumps and won't stop licking her paws - both of which required oral and topical antibiotics. I am NOT happy. I have thrown out this crap food.

We have used Nutro grain-free food for nearly 5 years since our English Bulldog Sprocket was a puppy. We opened a new bag of food about 2 weeks ago. This week Sprocket broke out with red whelps all over his belly and skin and was throwing up yellow bile. We narrowed it down to the Nutro brand food. We will never use this brand food again. Something needs to be done to make consumers aware of this problem!

I have been feeding my two dogs this food for 7 years since they were puppies. The last bag purchased was last weekend and I used this food as of Tuesday, Sept. 20th 2016. It was purchased at Petco in Marysville Washington. The dogs became lethargic and immediately started throwing up yellow bile. They had diarrhea and now one of them has constipation. I am taking them to the vet today and feeding them chicken and rice that I am making myself. I called a friend who advised me about this dog food and the information that has been posted currently. This product is not what it once was. Its quality has been compromised. Please do something about this before others lose their precious pets.

We have a 25 lb pug, Bo and a 6 lb pomeranian papillon mix, Red. I have been feeding them Nutro brand since we got them 6 years ago. About a week ago we opened a new bag and they started eating it. I noticed that they were not eating very much and would actually walk away from it. I thought they were being picky and wanted treats instead.

On Wednesday of last week Red started acting stranger than normal. He was lethargic and was eating very little, but drinking lots of water. Bo was not eating very much either but drinking lots of water. On Thursday I came home and discovered that Red was vomiting, and would not eat at all. On Friday we took him to the Vet. The vet ran blood test and said his kidneys were shutting down. He was hospitalized with a IV drip to give him fluids and is still in the hospital. He was very sick. The only thing he knew in his system was the new bag of Nutro. The Pug has refused to eat the Nutro. After reading these reports, I do believe that the Nutro Dog Food is the culprit. I called my vet and let them know what I think it is. I will never feed this food to my dogs again. I cannot trust it. Looking for a new food that I can trust.

Nutro Dog Food Company Profile