3.2/5 (2737 ratings)
Find a Dog Food partner

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Nutro Dog Food

Click "Shop Now" to visit a retailer.

The Nutro Company has been committed to creating natural and delicious dog food since 1926. As pioneers in the natural pet food industry, each ingredient is carefully chosen with a purpose, to provide the best nutrients for man's best friend.

Pros

• Lists meat as first ingredient
  • Suitable for all life stages
  • Grain-free options

Cons

• Contains meat meals
  • Difficult for some dogs to digest

Bottom Line

Nutro Dog food available in a variety of textures and flavor profiles. Some reviews indicate the food might cause stomach issues.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Nutro Dog Food

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutro Dog Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: July 31, 2022

We decided to try out this brand of dog food last week while at our local Pet Supermarket, and at first everything seemed fine but yesterday evening about an hour after he ate he started convulsing and fell out of his bed, having what looked like little seizures. We eventually moved him to a dark room and kept things quiet but he got up and vomited, then started shaking again, then vomited the rest of it up until he was dry heaving and foaming at the mouth slightly. He then had a full seizure. We rushed him to the vet, and meanwhile I found the reviews here, and noticed many had similar events occur. My vet said they doubted it was the food but our dog has never exhibited these symptoms and some of the reviews even some on Amazon for this brand showed that it wasn't always immediate. He did end up sleeping through the night and today is shaking sometimes but seems much more in control of his body. We are discontinuing this food immediately.

Original review: May 25, 2022

A couple weeks after switching my dog to Nutro I noticed diarrhea and vomiting which quickly turned into bloody diarrhea. I at first thought that my dog had just eaten something in the yard that made her sick but the symptoms continued after a week and she gradually stopped wanting to eat. Once I took her off Nutro and put her back on the brand she was eating prior to Nutro the symptoms disappeared.

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 4, 2022

I don’t know what they did with this formula and why they changed it but ever since they changed it my dog has been having digestive issues. Diarrhea and feeling nauseous. I’m going to get her checked out at the Vet and I hope nothing serious is going on. I feel like there should be a class action lawsuit against Nutro since people have lost their pets to this food. Avoid at all costs!!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

My 5 month old Chihuahua Lily has been on a lot of different foods in her little life. I try to find the most natural one. With these terrible reviews I tried to steer clear. I had her on this food at 8 weeks for a few weeks, took her off & started her on Wellness, then Whole Earth Farms & plenty of others. This is definitely the one I think she is the healthiest on & we always go back to this food. Heathy BMs, shiny coat, energy, and she loves the taste. This is by far not the worst food, but not the best ingredients wise. I especially steer clear of grain free. But instead of just reading the label & internet horror reviews, I used how my puppy is showing me how she feels! This food is our happy medium in my home. I recommend just trying different foods & seeing what seems best for your dog, bc every dog is different!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

I tried Nutro food as it is highly recommended on some websites. There are so many foods out there to choose from nowadays that this seemed good. We have two sister Brittany Spaniels who are 7. It didn't affect the one at all. The other one it greatly affected. The first time she flipped off the couch having some sort of seizure so I quit the food for 6 months. We thought she had just fell off the couch then. Then like a dummy; I tried it again and she ran outside and began contorting. It was horrible. Do not buy this food it is a killer. So far my little fur baby is ok as I threw this horrible food away. Buyer beware.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

My six year old Min Pin Coco has been loving Nutro Wild Frontier dog food since he was born and he has thrived on it like no other. Well this brand is no longer produced and I am left with a whole case of it that is no longer edible for him. Just one call the Company was all it took to assist this 80 year old Vet with a one time compassion price reduction coupon that made it possible to feed my dog for about a month. In addition to a great product, this type of assistance really made an impression on me and will I am sure have an effect on anyone who reads this. Not many companies will do this for their customers.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

I can’t believe it. I’m lost for words. My 4month old fur baby is so sick it’s not even funny. It started off with my girlfriend changing her food to Nutro then I started noticing a sudden change in my dog’s behavior. She went from a healthy sweet loving puppy to a very ill baby. She started to vomit then the diarrhea started and now she is always thirsty and doesn’t really want to be active. I pray they discontinue this brand because there is people who really love their animals. I wouldn’t recommend this brand to anybody who really cares for their dog. This product is not safe and it needs to be removed from all stores. Please look into this.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

I tried Nutro for the first time and I am almost through the 30lb bag I bought. Since I have bought this food, my dog has been throwing up about once a week completely random for the past 5 weeks. Mostly in the AM or early afternoon, she has been showing signs of nausea and depression. I finally was able to get her in to the vet. My vet is amazing. He told me about all of issues with Nutro dog food and the multiple recalls.

From Consumer Affairs: "In the past year, we've received nearly 500 complaints from pet owners who say their dogs or cats suddenly became ill after eat NUTRO. The problems these pets have experienced are similar: vomiting, diarrhea, and other digestive issues. Most of the complaints mirror one received last week." - from Linda P. Apr 20, 2009.

Now this article is from 2009 but you can find dozens more. My dog has lost 5 lbs in the past month. I have been pregnant and sick myself and trying to move in addition to hardly any availability at my vet so I wonder how much worse she could have gotten if I didn't get her in to see him when I did!! Do NOT buy this food, it is dangerous!!!!

Original review: July 28, 2020

I've been using Nature's Recipe dry puppy food, and I was looking for a wet puppy food to mix in with it to help him gain a little bit because he's underweight by a tiny bit. So I tried Nutro wet Puppy food since Nature's recipe didn't have a wet puppy food. I've been mixing it in for almost 2 weeks now. And twice I've only allowed him to have it by itself. Both times he has temporarily went blind in one eye. I'm furious. He is only 15 weeks old and should not be having these problems. I will never use this brand ever again.

Original review: July 18, 2020

One treat given to my dog with no other changes to her diet and within hours she has full body tremors and vomiting. I’m very upset. I’m awaiting a vet to call me to see how to help my beloved dog. I hate that I didn’t review this brand first. There are tons of these same issues with this brand.

Nutro Dog Food Company Information