2. Pets

Nutro Dog Food
Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.88/5
Based on 2,018 ratings

Click "Shop Now" to visit a retailer.

The Nutro Company has been committed to creating natural and delicious dog food since 1926. As pioneers in the natural pet food industry, each ingredient is carefully chosen with a purpose, to provide the best nutrients for man's best friend.

We know your dog's health is important to you, and it's our promise to deliver quality dog food at a price that won't break the bank. You can trust that our ingredients and processes are carefully monitored so you can focus on enjoying time with your best friend. Read what our customers have to say and then check us out for yourself!

Nutro Dog Food Shop on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Nutro Dog Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutro Dog Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

I can’t believe it. I’m lost for words. My 4month old fur baby is so sick it’s not even funny. It started off with my girlfriend changing her food to Nutro then I started noticing a sudden change in my dog’s behavior. She went from a healthy sweet loving puppy to a very ill baby. She started to vomit then the diarrhea started and now she is always thirsty and doesn’t really want to be active. I pray they discontinue this brand because there is people who really love their animals. I wouldn’t recommend this brand to anybody who really cares for their dog. This product is not safe and it needs to be removed from all stores. Please look into this.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

I tried Nutro for the first time and I am almost through the 30lb bag I bought. Since I have bought this food, my dog has been throwing up about once a week completely random for the past 5 weeks. Mostly in the AM or early afternoon, she has been showing signs of nausea and depression. I finally was able to get her in to the vet. My vet is amazing. He told me about all of issues with Nutro dog food and the multiple recalls.

From Consumer Affairs: "In the past year, we've received nearly 500 complaints from pet owners who say their dogs or cats suddenly became ill after eat NUTRO. The problems these pets have experienced are similar: vomiting, diarrhea, and other digestive issues. Most of the complaints mirror one received last week." - from Linda P. Apr 20, 2009.

Now this article is from 2009 but you can find dozens more. My dog has lost 5 lbs in the past month. I have been pregnant and sick myself and trying to move in addition to hardly any availability at my vet so I wonder how much worse she could have gotten if I didn't get her in to see him when I did!! Do NOT buy this food, it is dangerous!!!!

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: July 28, 2020

I've been using Nature's Recipe dry puppy food, and I was looking for a wet puppy food to mix in with it to help him gain a little bit because he's underweight by a tiny bit. So I tried Nutro wet Puppy food since Nature's recipe didn't have a wet puppy food. I've been mixing it in for almost 2 weeks now. And twice I've only allowed him to have it by itself. Both times he has temporarily went blind in one eye. I'm furious. He is only 15 weeks old and should not be having these problems. I will never use this brand ever again.

Original review: July 18, 2020

One treat given to my dog with no other changes to her diet and within hours she has full body tremors and vomiting. I’m very upset. I’m awaiting a vet to call me to see how to help my beloved dog. I hate that I didn’t review this brand first. There are tons of these same issues with this brand.

Original review: April 8, 2020

I got a big bag of Nutro dog food for free for my dog. I tried this dog food for my dog and started having problems a few days later. I finally looked at the reviews and decided not to feed my dog this food anymore. I wish I would have looked at the reviews first. I did mix his old dog food with it. 50 50 mix. I noticed the other night he was shivering for no reason. It was not cold in our house at all. Going back to his old food.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

I've been feeding this food to my 2 miniature pinschers since 2008. They have always been very healthy. I had this product on auto ship. I noticed the kibble was not smooth. The kibble is rigid and have grains poking out of the kibbles. Since receiving the latest batch (approx 1 month ago), my dogs have been vomiting often. Half of the time it's been undigested dog food. It was 3am this morning and one of my girls started licking profusely. She started trembling uncontrollably and threw up her undigested food in 4 parts. This had me very worried. I was searching online about what it could be. It was in the back of my mind it could be their food because why else would two perfectly healthy dogs start to get sick since receiving a new bag of dog food. SURE ENOUGH! NUTRO changed their formula.

Since the food was on autoship, I didn't know until I called Chewy customer service and they advised me that I had received a batch of their new formula. I won't be using their improved formula, I'll be looking for a new dog food for my babies. Ps. My brother's dog has been having stomach issues too (different household) and it's the same scenario, but different. UPDATE: I've started feeding Solid Gold and my dogs have not vomited or had seizure like episodes since feeding the new food.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I started using Nutro Natural Lamb and Rice in 2011 when I got my second bulldog from a breeder that was using it. I did all the reviews and thought this was going to make a difference as previous bulldog did not have the best of health. AFter 9 years my dog started to get sick with seizures. She was perfectly healthy up until that time then she started having severe rhinitis. She was constantly throwing up her food. She lost 30 lbs in less than six months. She finally lost her battle to live. After 2 months I adopted another bulldog 3 years old in good health. I started to switch her dog food over to what we were feeding my previous bulldog. After her first day of all Nutro and nothing from the other food she started having seizures? I am now in transition of once again moving her off of Nutro. I have the dog food in a sealed container and would like to have it tested. I truly believe my dog died from this dog food.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

We have fed our pets Nutro for years up until the 2008 recall. It tooks years to trust the brand again and we have used their dog food since 2012 (wet & dry). All was well until recently when our dogs' digestion started acting up with diarrhea and he oddly shivered. We did not suspect the food immediately, but started feeding rice and boiled chicken with carrots to recover him. He immediately perked up. Last night was the final straw as the shivering was very scary and it was clear that pup was nauseous. I gave him chicken broth and he had a rough night, had another bout of semi-soft poop and seems to be feeling better now. Apparently no product is being recalled, but I am disturbed to read so many poor reviews similar to our own experience. Never feeding Nutro again.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

I started my Yorkie mix on the canned Nutro dog food the same night as his new meds for incontinence and he was very sick with almost constant diarrhea and vomiting. I thought it was the meds so I stopped them but fed him his Nutro (I mix about a quarter of a can with his dry dog food, which is another brand he has been eating for awhile with no issues) and he continued to vomit undigested food, bile and watery diarrhea. At times he was going out every ten to fifteen minutes, usually every half hour, for almost 24 hours.

I started him on rice and slowly some turkey and it cleared up. I also stopped his meds. After he felt better the next night, I fed him his Nutro and dry food combo and within an hour he was vomiting and had frequent bouts of diarrhea. I will never feed him this food again. I will have another long, sleepless night of tending to my very ill dog because of this dog food. I googled it and was astonished to hear so many others with these symptoms.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

I have a 12 yr old Boston and a 14 yr old Doxie. They had dental done and needed soft food afterwards. I tried Nutro, my Doxie refuses to eat it. My Boston ate the Nutro w/out issue. Two weeks post Nutro, on Christmas Day, my Boston started seizing. She is a very healthy dog, besides being blind she is very healthy and acts like a pup still. Nothing else in her routine or diet has changed, we were able to pin it down to the Nutro is the only difference.

NUTRO Pet Foods author review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Nutro has been providing natural ingredients to pet food since 1926. Nutro’s commitment to healthy and safe pet food keeps their formula tailored for each stage of a pet’s life. Nutro is also active in local and national pet communities through its dog park appreciation program, its partnership with RESCUE BANK pet food distribution program, its support of the Natural Disaster Search Dog Foundation and its sustainability efforts.

• Nutro Rotations: Nutro Rotations is a dog food product designed to add variety to your dog’s diet. Rotations’ recipes are interchangeable, meaning that you can switch between food bags without harming your dog’s stomach. This brand of food is designed for dogs up to seven years old and 65 pounds.

• Farm’s Harvest: Farm’s Harvest dog food combine kibble with farm-raised fruits and vegetables for a balanced, nutritious meal. Farm’s Harvest is available for small and large dogs of all ages.

• Nutro Ultra: Nutro Ultra is a specialty dog food that uses nutrient-packed food designed to build muscles, improve vision, keep coats shiny and maintain a healthy immune system. Ultra products are available for toy, small and large breeds of all ages.

• Wild Frontier: Wild Frontier is Nutro’s high-protein dog food. This food is grain-free and is designed for active dogs.

• Greenies: Nutro’s Greenies dog treats are designed to improve pet health. Greenies Dental Chews help dogs maintain healthy teeth and gums, and Greenies Pill Pockets are treats that make feeding your dog medicine easier.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Nutro Dog Food Company Information