Nutro Dog Food
4.31/5
  • 1 star
Based on 988 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good dog food brand?

Nutro Dog Food

The Nutro Company has been committed to creating natural and delicious dog food since 1926. As pioneers in the natural pet food industry, each ingredient is carefully chosen with a purpose, to provide the best nutrients for man's best friend.

We know your dog's health is important to you, and it's our promise to deliver quality dog food at a price that won't break the bank. You can trust that our ingredients and processes are carefully monitored so you can focus on enjoying time with your best friend. Read what our customers have to say and then check us out for yourself!

FIND OUT MORE FIND OUT MORE
    Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Jan. 9, 2018

2912 Nutro Dog Food Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

My 9 year old Boxer has been on Nutro Dog Food since she was a puppy, moving from puppy to senior type. Last November 2017 we purchased the Lamb and Rice Senior, as usual, and noticed that she was not wanting to eat, and had stomach problems. While she has had episodes of diarrhea before this time she was having severe issues. At Thanksgiving she stopped eating and starting huffing, gagging. Took her to the vet and found her lymph nodes in her throat were swollen. She was treated and seemed better until the medicine ran out. Over Christmas she became severely ill, we thought we were going to lose her! Again, she refused to eat the Nutro food. Took her to the vet and they did a complete body x-ray and found all of her lymph nodes were swollen. She had Lymphadenopathy.

According to research I did this is a infection in the body which may be caused by bacteria or fungi. Since she couldn't eat very well we purchased some small moist food that was easier for her to chew and swallow and she has gotten better with medication. While I can't say it was the Nutro Lamb and Rice the timing is interesting, especially with the other reviews I have read here. She still refuses to eat the dry food, and I have continued to give her the moist burger type. We really liked the Nutro brand until this, but we will not be buying any more. Our baby is too precious to us to put her in a situation that may make her sick again.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Fed this Nutro Natural Lamb & Rice Dry food for 12 years! Suddenly, last December one of my dogs started vomiting immediately after eating and excessive thirst. No temperature, vet not finding anything wrong. He passed 12/26/17. One week later another of my dogs started vomiting and excessive thirst. Realizing the only thing new in that time frame was a bag of dry food, I picked up a different brand and switched the last two dogs to that immediately. The sick one pulled out of whatever caused the vomiting right away. Nutro contacted and all they will do is refund my money for the food. No recall. Sample of the food dropped off at my vet for forwarding to the FDA. Yeah - not happy.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Nutro lamb and rice - I have used this brand for both my dogs for at least 4 yrs and it has always been great until November 2017 when both dogs have become very ill at the same time. Both dogs have diarrhea and vomiting since then and as I'm reading other reviews on here it seems others are having the same experience with this brand which began occurring at the same time. After thousands of dollars spent at the vet we still have no idea what's causing them to be sick. I have stop using this on both of my dogs.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

We have fed my dog exclusively Nutro brand dog food for 5 years since he was a puppy. In September 2017 our dog started vomiting multiple times a day. We immediately took our dog to the vet where they did x rays and couldn't identify the issue. Next, the vet took a stool sample and were still unable to identify the cause. After reading reviews on here we decided we are going to switch his dog food and see what happens. We have spent a lot of money and time trying to figure out the cause of our baby's sickness. We wanted to share our story to raise awareness that Nutro dog food could be the cause like many others have experienced.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

I do not write reviews normally, but after what I read about all of the bad experiences here, I feel people need to know my story. We have a very healthy 14 yr old Lab. We have been using Nutro for many years, senior with Lamb. My lab has been very ill since we opened our last bag in November. He started vomiting about 4-6 hours after eating and vomiting would happen multiple times until it became bile. The food has always caused diarrhea, but it has been severe since November.

Several trips to the vet he has been diagnosed with pancreatitis 2 times in the past month and lost over 7lbs, almost had to be hospitalized over loss of fluids. Almost immediately after taking him off of it and feeding rice and chicken, less than 24 hours he was fine. It took almost a month to figure out that it was the food that we have used for years making him sick. I am convinced the formula has changed recently. I will be reporting this to the FDA, it could have killed our dog.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

We have two Brussels griffons that have been on Nutro from puppies. They are 3 & 4 years old. They have done fine until several months ago they started eating a lot of grass, vomiting with digestive distress. Both dogs ended up with anal gland impactions. 1 required surgery. Cause was noted as a good allergy. Within the same two months my sister in law whose dog is on the same food also had to have the anal gland surgery. 3 dogs from late Oct to December on the same food with the same issue. I have changed their food and they are doing well. I’m concerned something has gone wrong with this brand. We spent thousands at the vet for surgeries, medication and treatment.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

I have a two year old Siberian husky and within my family an almost 4 year old Alaskan malamute. I started feeding my dog Nutro natural and sometime after I noticed clay color looking stool. Not too long after that, my dog started having seizures, one every month. After a month, she then got pancreatitis. Once she was switched off the food, her health immediately improved and it’s been 7 months without a seizure. My dad was feeding his dog the same food at the time and just witnessed his dog having a seizure. At first, I didn’t think the direct correlation was the food and just thought my dog was finicky and needed to be on a vet prescribed diet. But this solidified it - this food was causing both of the dogs to have seizures.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I have a 4 month put golden retriever that was on this food when he came home to us at 8 weeks. Over the last 4 weeks I have spend hundreds of dollar, time off from work not to mention the physical and emotional exhaustion I’ve through from this horrible food! 4 weeks ago my puppy started suddenly have severe yellow liquid forcefully diarrhea and vomiting constantly, we have had multiple vet visit, X-rays, antibiotics, stool testing, rice diet and lab work sent to the GI Lab on the other side of the country and no answer. I finally decided to switch foods and things started to improve within a day! Then a friend reached out to me telling me about all these people having the same issues, how on earth is this food still available for sale! My poor pup and Family have been through the ringer over this and put us in debt over this! Nutro Max should be paying my vet bills and all the time off I’ve had to take over the crappy food!!!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I have a Pomeranian, with skin issues, she has been on Nutro Grain Free for two years, but, In November she ate the food and had extremely bloody stools and vomiting. I took her off the food, and started feeding her rice and chicken I made at home, she was doing well, so I thought I would start feeding her the Nutro again. She eats the canned and dry food version of this food. And today, the bloody stools and her vomiting started again, what is sad, is I still have half a case of the canned, a full new bag of the dry. I will continue to make her food with rice and chicken, and will decide what to do with the rest of the food. I think I will try and get my money back, Nutro should offer it back after this review, but, we will see.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I feel both my Labrador retrievers Nutro Wholesome Essentials Large Breed Adult Pasture Fed Lamb & Rice Recipe and they have been on it for at least 9 months, and have been loving it. I switched from Ideal Balance chicken brown rice formula (no corn, wheat, or soy) food because their poops weren't hard enough. On Nutro, their poops have great consistency and have been much more firm. I attributed this to the increased amount of protein. However, I'm concerned reading other dogs reactions to Nutro products... what type of Nutro were you all specifically feeding them? My dogs eat the non-GMO, lamb kind, and I don't believe it has corn or wheat. I also feed them Nutro sensitive stomach treats and those are some of the only treats that have not messed up their stool consistency. Two downsides are: I have to feel slightly more food than with the previous type of food. It has also caused their breath to be pretty bad!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Just had my dog at the vet with diarrhea, vomiting and dehydrated. Sub-q fluids, anti nausea & blood tests. This food made him really sick! And I have read of other dogs getting sick in November & December 2017 from this same batch of food! Bad food. Nutro made two of my cats sick also! I want my money back & the vet bills paid!!!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Quite simply, what I don't like about Nutro is this statement "Made With World Class Ingredients"! I didn't notice this until it arrived after buying online. What exactly does that mean? Answer: It could mean what you want it to. Is it made with ingredients from others countries? Nowhere could I find "Made in USA" which I believe a consumer like myself wants especially after paying a stiff premium for the dog food. I don't have time to call Mars up who is the manufacturer who also makes Pedigree and IAM's which is a brand they purchased from Procter & Gamble a few years back. But maybe the Mars company can explain what "Made With World Class Ingredients" actually means. For the price, I would hope the ingredients they use are indeed "world class"! But Mars, where are the Ingredients from?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Nutritious tasty canned food. My dog is a finicky eater and she likes this. She is eaten this brand, off and on, for about two years. She is now a senior so she eats the Senior Pate, Antioxidant Boost, made with Chicken, and Antioxidant Protein Boost made with Turkey.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I go through two 30 lb bags a month of Nutro Healthy Weight, Lamb and Rice formulation. My four dogs love this food. It's expensive but they are worth it.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Small sized, grain free nuggets of kibble having a higher nutrition value. I use the Adult Large size and Senior for my 2 dogs 3 yrs & 8 yrs. I use less kibble, 1 1/2 cups twice a day for each of mine which results in smaller sized poops to have to clean up. Nutro has all the stuff you want in their food and none of the stuff you don't want. Cost more than low end dog foods but in the long run because you feed a smaller portion size it probably ends up costing around the same.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I was feeding my 2 older dogs Pedigree, Daisy is 9 a boxer pit mix and Bruno is 6 a full bully breed. Daisy get skinny as she is older and Bruno is a bit overweight so I switched them to Nutro after reading its ingredients. Grain free got me though. Within the 1st month there was a shift in weight for both. It seems Daisy bulked up and Bruno slimmed up. I'm very happy with the results and they have more energy.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

We use Nutro in our kennel. Our last shipment we noticed the large breed food is twice the size as before and the puppies are vomiting on it. We called Nutro. They insisted there was no change and per the bag I do not see one. But something has changed. The one star is their customer service is awful and they didn't care our dogs were getting sick on their food.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

Good for his teeth - he loves the crunch - easy to break into small pieces so we can easily treat him throughout the day without worrying about weight gain and all of the ingredients are good for him.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I have two dogs, 14 and 15 years of age. The 14 year old has severe allergies and this one, lamb and rice seems to sit in his tummy well. They have been on this most of their lives.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I usually "blend" their food, Blue, Nutro, and Nutro farms. I like to make sure, they get chicken, fish, and either red meat or turkey. I buy three brands all different varieties and mix them all together...

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

This is THE WORST food I have ever in my life given my 65 lb. pit. She has never had an issue once with any food brand except this. She's been ** yellow all over my house for the last 2 days and she only ate the food one time!!! HOW IS THIS STILL ON THE MARKET??? These reviews have to be paid and fake because ** THIS COMPANY. How in the world does this product have 4.5 stars when there are so many negative reviews? 'CAUSE THEY'RE FAKE! My poor dog is in so much pain that I keep having to calm her down so ** YOU NUTRO!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

My three senior dogs eat Nutro Ultra Senior and do very well. They had issues with Blue, vomiting, loose stools and pancreatitis but they have no problems with Nutro. Nutro has a low fat content which is good for senior dogs who are slowing down.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Our experience with Nutro has been positive since we began feeding it to our dog a few years ago. She is a senior and has eaten other premium brands in the past, but Nutro has kept her taste buds happier than the others for an extended period of time - even with formulation changes for the senior kibble. (The latest change has been addition of sweet potatoes to the chicken & brown rice). A 30 pound bag lasts for about 2 months feeding our 60 pound dog one heaping cup twice a day.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I like this Adult small breed food because of the limited ingredients and the quality of the food. It is an appropriate size for my 7 pound dog to eat easily!!!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

My 4 month old German Shepherd/Husky mix puppy has been at the vet for 2 days now after I discovered bloody stool. At first, I thought maybe he ate something he shouldn't have or had something worse so I took him into the Vet the next morning and they were concerned as well as he is an indoor puppy and is up to date on his shots. They still ran a parvo test which came back negative, did multiple x-rays to determine if he ate something he shouldn't have, and finally did a barium series on him to see if they could get a better look and finally determined he had Gastritis.

His intestines were full of gas which alarmed the vet. After keeping him in observation, and after researching the food, we concluded the Nutro Chicken Food is the reason for his bloody stool as well as skin problem. This food is NOT GOOD FOR YOUR PUPPY!!! There is a reason it is so affordable but it actually cost you more once your poor pup is sick. I've already called to complain because NUTRO should not only remove their products but they should cover the expenses we pet owners get due to their negligence in their products. DO NOT BUY THIS FOOD!!!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Fed Nutro a few yrs ago. Dog had seizures. Went online to see other dogs had seizures as well. Disgusted with dog food industry. Cooked real food for dog - dog's body assimilated more of the food (75%) over Nutro. With Nutro what went in also came out with nothing used in between. Pissed at df industry.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

After several different brands, I tried Nutro Wholesome Essentials for my small dogs (One is a Japanese Spaniel and the other an American Cocker Spaniel). Both love it. No itching, diarrhea or vomiting. They readily eat it up in AM and PM.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I feed my 8 year old dog NUTRO ULTRA Small Breed adult and he absolutely loves it. The ingredients seem very high quality and his coat is super shiny. The vet commented that he is healthier than he is ever been.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

My two small dogs like this dry dog food and eat it regularly. It gives them firm stools that are easy to pick up. Since eating this brand they have fewer to nil stomach upsets. They eat the small bites chicken, brown rice and sweet potato recipe.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I have two dogs and the older dog is on Nutro Weight Management and she loves it. The younger dog is on Nutro Regular and I am very happy with how he is handling the food, because he is such a picky eater. I use to feed them a different brand but the dogs were having side effects, with the switch everything is working well.

Nutro Dog Food Company Information

NUTRO Pet Foods
    www.nutro.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use