Nutro Dog Food
4.41/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Nutro Dog Food

The Nutro Company has been committed to creating natural and delicious dog food since 1926. As pioneers in the natural pet food industry, each ingredient is carefully chosen with a purpose, to provide the best nutrients for man's best friend.

We know your dog's health is important to you, and it's our promise to deliver quality dog food at a price that won't break the bank. You can trust that our ingredients and processes are carefully monitored so you can focus on enjoying time with your best friend. Read what our customers have to say and then check us out for yourself!

Find out more Find out more
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 9, 2017

2869 Nutro Dog Food Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

My dogs, Toy Poodle and Belgian Shepherd, have been eating Nutro Max Grain Free food for over a year and are just fine. No further allergy issues and is easy to maintain a healthy weight in both of them. Until I learn differently I would recommend the grain free food to any and all.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I recently switched my 3 animals to Nutro Pet Food. 2 of them have serious allergies. I feed my cats Nutro Grain Free Salmon. One of my cats had chewed off her fur, and was vomiting after eating every day. I tried many different foods over her 15 years. Nothing helped until I found Nutro. Within 1 day, vomiting stopped. Within 1 week, she stopped chewing her fur and it was growing back. Today, a month later, she healthy, enjoying her food, has stopped vomiting, hair is thick and shiny, and has some much needed weight. Wish I had changed sooner.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I fed the adult version to my dachshund, Lucy who had diarrhea all over the carpet and I had to have it steam-cleaned. I thought she must have gotten into something. Soon after, I purchased a bag of Nutro puppy for my new Doberman puppy and he got diarrhea so bad it was awful. I put him on a bland diet and stopped the food. After it cleared up, I tried to gradually add the Nutro puppy food back into his diet. The loose stools came right back. This food is really terrible and with all the gastric complaints, I wonder why they are still selling it? Is it really GMO? GMOs cause gastric upset in people as well as animals. I think this food should be investigated thoroughly.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Our dog is now three years old and when we rescued him, he was 9 months old, and on puppy Nutro lamb, rice and chicken. He is on the same adult food now and loves this food. He does have some skin allergies during the summer and our vet told us that the food we are using is not causing any problems. So I rate this food formula 5 star for my dog as he really likes it and is thriving and happy.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I cannot believe what I'm reading here. I was recommended Nutro by a local pet store. I feed it to my 4 yo dog and a day later severe diarrhea and he pooped blood all over. I researched this food and unbelievable what I'm reading here, many dogs have the same symptoms from this food. That is bottom disgusting that this food is still sold in stores.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Nutro High Protein-Grain Free is well known in my social life and my friends tell me it is good. So I bought some pack of them to try. After I used it for months, my dogs look like they love it. I love buying this dog food because it is easy to eat for my two little dogs. They love it because it’s soft and got good taste. This dog food can make my dogs looks not fat and it looks good for my dogs eating every day. But it’s just too colorful, it seems not healthy at all. It is good if they can change color to make them look more healthy. And it’s better to add more vitamins in there.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

It is a good brand with different varieties and great flavors and my dog loves it. It has quality ingredients made from natural products that are helpful to my dog. Nutro High Endurance is tasty and enjoyable to my pet and it's something that I can feel proud to feed my dog.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I like that it is high protein, grain free, it's low glycemic with chickpeas and has carbohydrates which is good food for dogs. Provides lots of energy and salmon for omega's benefit. I chose it because it doesn't have a lot of junk additives which are not good for my dog. It's a very recommended brand by my veterinarian. Plus my dog loves this food. The only thing I don't like is the price, but pay it anyway knowing the benefits outweigh the cost and to have really good food for my dog which is healthier.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

The reason that I decided to buy the Nutro dog food is because the store I normally shop at was showcasing this brand at the front of the store and had a sale on the brand if I purchased 2 or more bags. The Nutro dog food (Lite & Weight Management) that I purchase for my dog is specially formulated for his stage in life and specific needs for that life stage. I like the dog food so much. It really is a great value for all of the nutrition that it provides.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

My dog’s hair was not as soft as it was and I kept trying new food until I found Nutro Dog High Protein-Grain Free Food. His coat is soft and he feels great and both dogs love the taste and I want the best for my furry friends. I like that it has no artificial colors or flavors and great nutrition plus my dogs love the taste which is important because if they won't eat it, it does not matter how good it is for them. But I wish they would improve the bags to be a little tougher so they would be resealable and less prone to holes. I want the food to stay fresh and keep all its nutrients and also preserves the flavor so it would be an all around good thing.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

We have tried other brands and my dog did not like them, but she loves Nutro (Lite & Weight Management). It is small enough for my dog to eat. It also is good for her diet. It is an all natural food source for my dog, and made with real meat and vegetables. It does not contain soy or any other by-products in it. This one she eats very well and doesn't have a problem with her stomach. But they could make it in a beef flavor instead of just chicken flavor.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I like that Nutro have different options for different needs of dogs as opposed to the one-size-fits-all of grocery store. In my situation I was looking for a weight loss type of dog food as my older dog is a bit overweight and I know that this is unhealthy for any animal. The Nutro Lite & Weight Management's price was reasonable and it had the weight mgt option I was looking for. Also, as I had to go to a Pet store to buy this food, it is a every once in a while expenditure. The only thing is I have had to use a can opener. As I am not averse to this, pop top cans are obviously easier. My teenage kids, who have never had need to use a can opener, did not know what to make of this!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

Nutro High Protein-Grain Free is pretty nutritious and well stored. It has long-lasting shelf life and a product guaranteed by my local pet stores. It has very friendly packaging and I like the products expiration date are usually spot on. It also has a lot of ingredients that are environmentally friendly and my dog loves it. It's one of the healthiest choices on the market and would only pick a few ahead of it. My dog is definitely more healthier from it. But I do not see the brand all the time in different stores and the prices could be a bit cheaper. Also make flavors and add a few other ingredients to keep the dogs more healthy.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

Nutro is something my pet likes and I feel it is a healthy all natural choice as well I feel good giving this food to my dog and gives me piece of mind knowing that I am doing the best for my fur baby. My dog loves it and has had no issues with the Nutro Lite & Weight Management dog food. It doesn't have the harsh additives and artificial ingredient as some of the competition. I was hesitant at first because my dog is very picky and sometimes has issues and I must say with this food we are pleasantly happy with no complaints and I know I am feeding her the best ingredients.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

The High Endurance was recommended by friends whose dogs love the food and think it's a healthy food compared to other brands on the market and I agree with it. It is a very premium dog food, easy to serve, and nutritious. It has an appetizing appearance, excellent aroma, and good texture. My dog loves it. Overall, Nutro Dog Food has met my initial expectations very well.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I fully trust the company that offers this High Protein-Grain Free dog food. I initially chose this brand because I like what is on the nutrition label. No grains and meat as the number one ingredient along with other fruits and vegetables. I love this brand of dog food because of its premium and quality ingredients. It also was at a good price. And my dogs absolutely love the taste over any other dog food that I have tried. This brand has definitely met my expectations. But I would love for Nutro to add a fresh and refrigerated brand that included meats, vegetables and fruits as a main ingredient and not mostly made of grain.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

Nutro Lite and Weight Management was recommended and sold at the vet's office and can be found at most local pet shops. The food has help him achieve his weight goal and helps him maintain his weight which makes him heavier and will aid in his longevity. But I wish the weight/low cal food came in smaller bite size for smaller dog size. Also the bags are very neutral looking and could be missed if I was not looking for it specifically. Other than that, my dog likes the taste of the dog food and he has been able to take off a few pounds without being hungry.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I love that I can buy almost every variety in this dog food so my favorite pups have the nutrition they need. My family has used this brand of dog food for three generations so I know it can be trusted. And I always recommend this dog food to anyone that asks. The Nutro High Endurance itself is great but I have a picky eater and I need more flavor options. I also need a puppies and growing variety to help keep up with any babies or a senior variety to help my old guy.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I strive to feed my dog and other pets the best food possibly available. Nutro is non-GMO and 100% organic. Costs means nothing when it comes to helping my animals. Everyone should take the same care in choosing food for their pets. If not they don't need to own one. My puppy was allergic to other foods and so far this brand (Nutro high protein grain-free) has exceeded my expectations of this and other dog foods. Everything is great except the fact that it takes me 30 min to find the nearest store that sells this type of dog food. The drive alone is not fun at all and it’s frustrating. But at the same time the dog food is a must have for my dogs and other animals.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

My dog is enthusiastic about this food for its good taste, easy to chew, and he eats it twice a day. I do not worry that given the correct amount of food, he will not gain weight. Nutro provides complete nutrition without being high caloried and I like it very much. It is easy to handle because it is dry and I don't have to deal with messy cans. My dog is primarily a house dog, so keeping his weight down is important.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I like the healthy fiber in Nutro High Protein-Grain Free that is good for your dog. You want to have good vegetables and other healthy items so it has enough healthy stuff in there so we want to make sure we have more. When I tried it with my dog he seemed to like it a lot. It's a good blend or something is making him want to eat it and you want to make sure it's good. But Nutro should make the dog food tasty so that dogs will want to come back to it time and time again and make sure it has high healthy content so dog wants it consistently, I don't have to go buy different brands.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I like that Nutro offered different categories/types of food products for dogs of differing ages and that it was available as a dry form of dog food. I thought the packaging was attractive for purchase, and I liked that it was for weight management. But I would like to see more of a variety of flavors offered. I also wish that there should be a decrease in price or offer coupons and the calorie content was lower or somehow that it would have actually helped my pet lose weight and improve their health. New dogs need better weight control. I did not see a change in pets weight with Nutro and it did not meet my initial expectation that I would see my dog's weight decrease.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I like that Nutro Lite and Weight Management dog food is all natural with no corn or byproducts inside of it. The first main ingredients are normally something real and organic and not nasty ingredients used as a filler. But some months, I cannot afford it and I would love to keep my dog healthy. It is a little pricey and I get that it is all natural and that may cost a bit more. I was recommended it from a family friend and I also like to check the ingredients in my dogs foods to make sure I am not feeding them terrible stuff and that they are able to live happy and healthy lives.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I chose Nutro because it was less expensive than the Blue Buffalo brand we were buying and it seems to have similar quality. The Lite & Weight Management is low in calories but with proper nutrition and without artificial ingredients plus the price is not unreasonable.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Nutro High Protein-Grain Free is highly praised by other dog owners I talked to. I like the variety for other dogs and at different stages of their life. It meets every pet owner’s needs. I like the high protein and the no grain content. It’s a popular and natural and safe brand. I’d be willing to buy it for my pets. The kibble brand gives my dog the crunch that she enjoys as well as the care to keep her teeth and gums healthy as well as bone health, a shiny coat and her digestive system running smoothly. The vitamins inside the formula give her a healthy start to enjoy life. In spite of recent online reviews and some FDA investigations, I’d still try it and give it to my dogs. I’ve personally never had any problems, nor my dog. I just don’t see it on sale as much as the other brands and I would like larger package sizes. Overall it’s a great brand and product.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I chose Nutro Dog High Protein-Grain Free Food because my dog seems to really like this brand. The options offered are also one of a kind which further leads me to love it more. It has surprisingly exceeded my initial expectations which were rather high. I like this because there is no other product like this on the market. It take several hours in one day just to shop around to find this product, so it’s somewhat special. (Not only special for the dog per se.) I still love this product although I hate that this is rare on the market. But it’s always worth the purchase.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Our veterinarian suggested we try Nutro Lite & Weight Management. Formulated to control weight of our Pug who is a senior dog. No artificial flavors, colors preservative, non GMO and low calorie in a lamb and rice formula which has vitamins, antioxidants, minerals and nutrients to keep her healthy. It also gives her fiber and protein which she needs. And we were able to get her weight to an acceptable level. She went from 38 pounds to 30 pounds without starving for food and made our Vet happy. Dog enjoys this food and her digestive tract is healthy.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I like the Nutro Lite & Weight Management because it's made of more natural ingredients. And overall, Nutro is a healthier choice for my Dogs. It's a nice and inexpensive alternative to the Blue Buffalo. It was also available at the hardware store that I frequent. Less additives and fillers also made me interested in the brand. No frills, just good dog food. The packaging is pretty plain, and it's also not marketed as much as some of the other brands, but I really like the fact that they're more focused on producing a good product rather than a slick marketing campaign.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I like the overall texture of the High Protein-Grain Free in general. I feel as though this dog food brand does an above average job in providing consistent quality in terms of texture within its brand overall. But this brand could provide more options for dog owners to choose from by adding a more unique combination of flavors or different tastes to ultimately choose from when owners are selecting food for their dogs. It could really shake up the market industry for a more versatile dog food brand that provides more meat or grain flavors.

The Nutro Dog Food brand has initially met my expectations for healthy variety of dog food compared to other dog food brands. I have provided my dog with many other brands of dog food for a long time before selecting the Nutro Dog Food brand, but I find that this dog food is consistently healthy and generally good for my dog.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

Our veterinarian recommended Nutro Dog Food (Lite & Weight Management) and our dog likes it. I like that this dog food is made of high-quality and natural ingredients. It is healthier for my dog than a lot of other products on the market today and I am glad I can order it online. But I would like it to be available at more stores so I could pick it up whenever I was out instead of having to make a special trip to buy it.

Nutro Dog Food Company Information