Nutro Dog Food

Compare Dog Food

Research top Dog Food recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Our dog had been eating Nutro Max Puppy chicken and rice since he was a pup and we got him from the breeder. He liked the food so we only switched to adult for on October 18, 2016 when I purchased a new 30 lb bag of food adult chicken and rice from Petsmart in Cincinnati, Ohio. I started by mixing it in with his old food for the next few days. By November 7th he started vomiting 1-2xs per day. By Friday, November 11th he was vomiting 4-5xs. It would be bile, white foam. He stopped eating and became lethargic. We took him to a vet, they did x-ray after x-ray, blood work.

Finally, we took him to a second vet, they did exploratory surgery, and a biopsies. Biopsies came back salmonella. We cannot definitely determine it was Nutromax until we have a lab test this food. We are working with our vet to get this done. However, reading these other reviews that sound eerily familiar and the fact that the food was also purchased around the same time from Petsmart. DO NOT BUY THIS FOOD. Our dog is still not out of the woods and may be on antibiotics for a month.

My dog has been eating Nutro for over 8 years. It was the only food he would eat. We even tried switching him to a better brand and he stopped eating. So we continued to feed him Nutro Adult Chicken and rice. We left him with good friends to watch over the Thanksgiving holiday. They kept telling me that he was throwing up and he was not eating. And when he finally was hungry enough to eat he would immediately get sick. Upon our return he was skin and bones. He had lost almost 10 lbs. We immediately took him to the vet. The costs were so high for the tests. And they could not tell us what exactly was wrong with him. I'm not sure if it was the food but based on these other reviews I'm beginning to wonder.

Bought a 30lb bag of Nutro Adult Venison Meal, day before Thanksgiving at Pet Smart. Have used Nutro brand dog food for 14 years. Have had no problems. By Friday evening my two Schnauzers were vomiting every 7 minutes. Food 1st, then yellow bile, then blood. Went through the whole scenario of what could be wrong, did they eat anything else? Went to emergency vet, gave them 2 shots to stop vomiting. Stopped all food, started bland diet. Both dogs for 2 days did not eat, lethargic and would not have anything to do with us. Checked for any recalls, found none, but did read all the complaints online.

Called Nutro and spent 1 hour on phone. Nutro said they would contact the emergency vet and then let us know what Nutro's decision would be as to any reimbursement for food and medical expenses. Purchased bag of Royal Canin Food from primary vet. Will need to find a normal food available for further diet after Royal Canin is consumed. Very upset about this whole ordeal. It appears that contamination took place since the online complaints include dry and wet foods.

I have been feeding my Golden Retriever this food for 8 years, it had been the only one that I've used for his sensitive stomach. On October 19, 2016 I bought a new bag of Nutro Max Farm-Raised Chicken, after a few days he became ill. I've been to the vet 3 times. He has been vomiting yellow bile and had diarrhea. The first time so bad he was bleeding. All tests and blood work have been negative. He has been on antibiotics for over a month now and this seems to be the only thing working. After reading all these reviews and symptoms and looking at the time frame, I am convinced that it is the dog food. I am stopping this food immediately. This food needs to be recalled before any other dogs die.

Updated on 12/02/2016: Here is an update on what I found out today after calling Nutro to let them know that there might be a possible contamination. WARNING!/CAUTION! Nutro has rolled out a new recipe! This new recipe came out in March of this year. This is not the same recipe that they have been using in the last several years. When I told the representative at NUTRO that I've bought a bag every month since March and no illness or diarrhea she said sometimes the suppliers use the old inventory first before using the new recipe so it may take some time. Whatever is new in the new recipe may be making your dog sick if it proves to not be contaminated. Again this is not the same food you've been getting from them in the past.

I purchased a 35 lb bag at Pet Supply Store in Indianapolis right before the Thanksgiving Holiday. I always buy Nutro Small Bites, and my dogs turned their noses up. I thought that's strange, but I guess when they're hungry they'll eat it. I can't really afford to throw it away, but since my 5 dogs have eaten it they're all sick! Thanksgiving was horrible at our home this year! 5 dogs with screaming diarrhea is not my idea of a wonderful holiday. As if it's not stressful enough already.

We took them to the vet, because nothing we did helped! Our vet thought maybe a bacteria infection. Our dogs haven't been anywhere to get an infection. I believe this sincerely from my heart it's the food! My dogs never turn their noses to a meal, and it wasn't just one. It was all 5 of them...Vet trip was very expensive & all of them were prescribed **. My poor babies were bleeding. Their bottoms were so raw! Something isn't right with the last batch of food, and I thought I was feeding quality good food to my pets. Not poison! Very upset, because I've been feeding them Nutro for at least 13 yrs. Always been a loyal true blue customer...Not Anymore. I'm done!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutro Pet Foods?

My Yorkie has been on Nutro for 14 years. When I opened the latest bag (purchased at PetSmart) he wouldn't eat it. I thought he was being picky, so I poured chicken broth over it, added his favorite chicken jerky, but he would just eat the jerky. He vomited once, had lots of gas and was very lethargic and would only take very short walks before turning back. My husband suggested googling to see if anyone else had this problem and... wow! Something changed in the formula or contaminated this food. I am giving him boiled chicken and rice until he feels better then changing dog food.

I was in Petsmart the other day and talking to a person who worked there. Trying to find a healthy food wet and dry for my 6 month old chipoo. He recommended nutro max for puppies. I am telling you 3 days on this food my puppy is urinating very, very yellow urine in huge amounts. She is also laying down too much. I do not recommend this food for no one to eat. I will be returning this huge bag to store. I decided to cook homemade for my puppy. At least I know what she will be eating. I am glad I see the reviews here before she ate anymore of this food.

My Maltese is a picky eater and will only eat Nutro Toy dog food - for years I have been buying it without issues. I purchased a bag from AMAZON two weeks ago. Within 24 hours my Maltese was throwing up bile and was sick for several days. I stopped the food and she was fine. This week I tried it again and she got sick. It's definitely the dog food. Something is wrong with this batch! They should recall it immediately.

I'll start off by saying that I have a very energetic and robust boston terrier mix. She has an iron stomach and changes in her diet do not affect her in the slightest. She has no food allergies at all. I started her on Nutro canned wet food yesterday... Within 15 minutes she blew up in bloody hives. I gave her a potent oatmeal bath and **... Her condition continues to worsen. After looking into customer reviews I have discovered that within the past few weeks dogs have been DYING within DAYS of ingesting this garbage. Seeing my dog in this kind of pain is heart wrenching. There's no possible way it could have been caused by anything other than the dog food. I have attached a picture of my dog (Sweet Pea). These welts formed right before my eyes. This is insane!!!

First of all, I wish I had seen these reviews several months ago. I started my dachshund on Nutro senior dog food at the beginning of this year. After several months, she started vomiting, rapidly losing weight, developed a "funny" walk and urinating uncontrollably. I have taken her to the vet several times only to be told her issues are mostly related to her age (she's sixteen). She did have blood work done that showed she has early stage kidney disease and has developed chronic pancreatitis.

It wasn't until I recently started feeding the same food to my daughter's dog that I started to suspect that something was wrong with this food. She immediately started developing the same symptoms as my dog and after going to the vet and having blood work done, also has developed a case of pancreatitis. I started to feed my dog fresh, homemade dog food and her symptoms have reversed. She isn't having accidents anymore, is gaining weight and is no longer vomiting. My daughter's dog is currently on antibiotics and a prescription dog food but I expect that her symptoms will also improve.

After Googling the name of the dog food and reading all of these complaints I am very upset that this has been going on for a while and the company has been able to continue to manufacture and sell the food. I haven't called the company to complain yet, but after reading some of these reviews I'm not going to hold my breath that anything would be done about these issues anyway. I have learned my lesson and will thoroughly research a dog food before feeding it to my dog.

My lab has been eating Nutro dry dog food for years, but since opening the current bag, he is having issues that may be related. He won't eat the whole bowl like he used to and is not his usual self. After reading a few reviews here, I'm thinking a new food is worth a try.

I bought the ultra senior dog food a month ago! I feed him this food about since 2 weeks ago. The very first time he had vomiting. I thought he may not get used to the food yet, so I didn't take him to the vet. And 2nd day he was ok, so I start cutting down the dry food and mix with brown rice, carrots, and lean beef. Everything was looks fine, but last night when I get home, I noticed he is kind losing his appetites, and not active at all. I was stupid and feed him with this dry food again. Started 5:00 am in the morning, he was vomiting a lot with white foam. In the afternoon I took him to the vet, the doctor said he had infractions. We have been trying very hard to work on him. After 2 hrs later, he left me. Now, I am going to send this dry dog food to special lab and see what's in the food that kills my dog, and after I get the results from the lab, I will sue this company for my dog.

Like many others, I too have been feeding my dog Nutro brand dog food for a few years with no problems, up until the past few weeks. I started a new bag of food and she began having diarrhea, orange in color. I took her to vet who ran fecal specimen lab test and full senior blood panel - no problems showed up. Vet gave her anti-diarrheal meds. I fed her white chicken breast and white rice and her stools became normal after a few days. I slowly, over a week gradually introduced her dry food back into her diet, once she was back on Nutro fully, the diarrhea came back. She is now back on meds and chicken and rice. I know now that it's the Nutro dog food that is making her sick and I will not feed it to her again. Do not purchase Nutro dog food. My deepest sympathies to those whose pets have died as a result of feeding their dogs Nutro dog food. How many pets need to die as a result of feeding them Nutro before this product is recalled?

For a week my Pomeranian has had building issues of bile vomiting, diarrhea. The only thing I can track it to is a new bag of dog food I bought at a pet food store in San Tan Valley, AZ. I have used Nutro for years without issues but this week I am very concerned my dog may not make it. He is not quite three and I cannot afford vet bills after the loss of my husband. He has been such a comfort. After reading complaints of recent dog food problem with Nutro and same symptoms I believe that my dog's issue is this food. No more after tonight.

I've been giving my Yorkie Greenies for years. The last 2 times I gave him them he became very ill and vomited. It was shortly after each treat was given. I knew immediately it was the Greenies because my dog only eats once in the morning and once in the evening and both times the treat was given in the afternoon. This company needs to seriously look into all these complaints. It's not coincidence.

When my husband went to our pet supply store to purchase our dog food we were told it was being discontinued so the store pointed us toward "Nutro" brand dog food. Well in the month we have fed this to our miniature schnauzer she has developed HORRIBLE Schnauzer bumps and won't stop licking her paws - both of which required oral and topical antibiotics. I am NOT happy. I have thrown out this crap food.

We have used Nutro grain-free food for nearly 5 years since our English Bulldog Sprocket was a puppy. We opened a new bag of food about 2 weeks ago. This week Sprocket broke out with red whelps all over his belly and skin and was throwing up yellow bile. We narrowed it down to the Nutro brand food. We will never use this brand food again. Something needs to be done to make consumers aware of this problem!

I have been feeding my two dogs this food for 7 years since they were puppies. The last bag purchased was last weekend and I used this food as of Tuesday, Sept. 20th 2016. It was purchased at Petco in Marysville Washington. The dogs became lethargic and immediately started throwing up yellow bile. They had diarrhea and now one of them has constipation. I am taking them to the vet today and feeding them chicken and rice that I am making myself. I called a friend who advised me about this dog food and the information that has been posted currently. This product is not what it once was. Its quality has been compromised. Please do something about this before others lose their precious pets.

We have a 25 lb pug, Bo and a 6 lb pomeranian papillon mix, Red. I have been feeding them Nutro brand since we got them 6 years ago. About a week ago we opened a new bag and they started eating it. I noticed that they were not eating very much and would actually walk away from it. I thought they were being picky and wanted treats instead.

On Wednesday of last week Red started acting stranger than normal. He was lethargic and was eating very little, but drinking lots of water. Bo was not eating very much either but drinking lots of water. On Thursday I came home and discovered that Red was vomiting, and would not eat at all. On Friday we took him to the Vet. The vet ran blood test and said his kidneys were shutting down. He was hospitalized with a IV drip to give him fluids and is still in the hospital. He was very sick. The only thing he knew in his system was the new bag of Nutro. The Pug has refused to eat the Nutro. After reading these reports, I do believe that the Nutro Dog Food is the culprit. I called my vet and let them know what I think it is. I will never feed this food to my dogs again. I cannot trust it. Looking for a new food that I can trust.

Nutro Large Breed Chicken, Whole Brown Rice and Oatmeal Recipe. We have been feeding our dogs, Dottie (17 yrs) and Bear (1 1/2 yrs) Nutro dog food since we have had them both as pups. Our Lab, Bear gobbles down his food like a typical Lab. Just recently after opening up a new bag and we noticed that he would wake up in the middle of the night throwing up yellowish bile. After reading all the other reviews that were the same, he would stop eating and look up at my wife with sad eyes. He always eats his food and he was trying to tell us that we were killing him by giving him this food.

We have been using this product with our other Lab Moose without any problems till recently. There is something wrong with this dog food. We changed his dog food last night and his poop is pretty normal. It will take a few days for the gas to stop. We are NOT EVER going to use this food EVER. Very DISAPPOINTED that this company for not doing more after reading ALL these same problems caused by their food.

I purchased the Nutro Dog Food for my dog because they claim to be natural. I ended up with a dead dog. My dog stopped eating, became lethargic, started vomiting and diarrhea. And died a horrible death. This food is no good. I can't get my dog back and it's heartbreaking that I thought this would be a better choice in food. That happy dog would have been 1 on the 10th of September and I got his shots. Didn't change anything in his life only the dog food. My biggest mistake??? I emailed Nutro and haven't heard from them. They are the worst with all these complaints. They should recall the food.

We'd been feeding our 11 yr. old chihuahua Nutro Ultra Small Breed dog food for about 18 months as recommended by the folks at PetSmart. We recently bought a new bag of the same food and within days, our dog developed diarrhea, lost her appetite, and became very lethargic. Not even thinking it could be her food (as it was what she'd been eating for 1 1/2 yrs), we took her to the vet. They said her stomach was very hard, and gave her antibiotics and something to help stop the diarrhea. After two more weeks, she still hadn't recovered and we were about to go back to the vet when we thought to check for info on her food. That's when we discovered this website, and that all reviews of this brand back to Dec. 31, 2015 seemed to be 1-star ratings!

We immediately researched to see if we could find some unbiased info on pet foods, and finally came up with 8-10 recommended brands. Armed with these, we visited a different pet store (Mr. Pet's, I believe), where we seemed to get very educated, sensible advice about a number of these brands that they carried; also some others, and what they recommended for our particular age and breed of dog. We ended up switching to a brand made in Canada, which is free from fillers, and one which does not use antibiotic-fed meat in its production. (I'd be more than happy to share the brand, but not sure if that's allowed on this site.) Because we didn't want to do the usual gradual food switch due to the detrimental impact the current food was having on our pet, the store recommended that mixing a spoonful of cooked pumpkin would aid digestion and help ease the transition.

Our dog LOVED the new food (including the pumpkin), and within a couple of days was back to her normal self, and then some! She's regained some of the vigor she'd lost over the past 3-4 years. We figured she was just getting old, but it's AMAZING what a difference her new food has made! I should mention that PetSmart did accept return of the big bag of Nutro Ultra that we had recently purchased, without raising an argument; something we really appreciated.

I just was reading about Nutro dog food. I have been giving this food to my dog for years. About 2 years ago my dog got very, very sick, vomiting, diarrhea and not eating. Almost died. Took him to the vet numerous times and they could not find nothing wrong with him. They gave him antibiotic and I made him homemade chicken and rice until he got better. He got better and went back to the Nutro dry dog food and again started with the throwing up bile, gagging and diarrhea again. Would have never guessed it was the food because he had been taking it since he was a baby. Since I switched brands of food my dog is doing great.

I, like the rest of recent posts have used Nutro Large Breed Puppy in the past and it has been okay. Then I used Bil-Jac for a couple of months and my Weimaraner puppy loved that. The Nutro was on sale at my local pet store so I bought it again and it has been a disaster like others have described. My dog's stool has been consistently loose and it turning into diarrhea this past week. I tried mixing in pumpkin and rice to help and nothing did. He has also been foaming at the mouth and throwing up bile. Being that he tries to eat everything I thought maybe he got a hold of a frog or toad without my knowledge. He has also been urinating in the house after being previously fully house trained. The final straw last night was when he soiled himself in his kennel. I am returning it today and letting them know about the problems so they can think about pulling it.

Nutro Senior canned food - I have used this product for several years. And, I was very happy with it. Lately, it has been giving dog explosive diarrhea. I have discontinued using this product and she is improving. I'm not sure what has changed, but the dehydration caused by this product almost killed my dog.

I WISH SOMEONE WOULD HAVE TOLD US ABOUT THIS BEFORE WE GAVE IT TO OUR PUPPY!!! My wife and myself recently added to our family and new member. He was a adorable little "Ozzie-Doddle", full of energy and just as lovable as could be. He was jet black with little white paws with just a touch of white just below his chin. He was the most adorable thing you have ever seen. He would run thru the house and play with our 9 year old "She Po". My wife and I are in our mid 60's and it was like watching two little children play. Everything was perfect up till approx a couple of weeks ago when my wife changed dog food for the our puppy Maxamus to Nutro Puppy Mix from the brand she had been feeding him since we purchased him.

We noticed immediately that Maxamus just started nibbling at his food instead of eating what he was given. He would just would pick at it throughout the day. Then all of a sudden this past Wednesday, July 13th, 2016, my wife looked down and Maxamus had eaten his entire food bowl of food. Within minutes of eating the food our puppy starting running thru the house vomiting severely and pooping (which he had never done) because he was housebroken. He also became very disoriented, had a problem standing up or walking straight. He started crying out loudly and having seizures as he suffered in severe pain. None of which these problems were presented until he finished eating the Nutro Puppy Chow.

The day prior to this incident, our other dog had also eaten small amount of the Puppy Chow from Maxamus' bowl before my wife caught her and she also became violently ill, causing her to also become violently ill and to vomit violently throughout the night and go to the bathroom. Luckily for us, our other dog (Lexus) was older and larger than Maxamus, which we believed saved her life otherwise we believe she also would be dead. I wish someone would have told us about this "dog food" before we gave to our puppy, maybe then my wife and myself would not be going thru this heartache. I wish somewhere, someplace in the store where we purchased the dog food, there would have been a warning telling people, "Before you give this food to your dog, please check out current customer complaints concerning our product".

We have turned over customer complaints to our local vets in our area in hopes that the next dog that comes into their offices with symptoms matching our puppy's symptoms if they have been feed Nutro Dog Food. Maybe they can save that dog's life. At least they will know where to start to look liver damage and neurological damage. Our puppy Maxamus did nothing to deserve to die a excruciating and painful death that he suffered due to what we believe was "BAD PUPPY CHOW". DON'T GIVE THIS TO YOUR DOGS.

I've been feeding my rottie Nutro for the past 6 months. 2 weeks ago he became violently ill after eating. He vomited 3 times that day. He didn't eat or drink for two days. The vet thought he had swallowed something because his belly felt like it had something in it. Once they opened him up they found his small intestines enlarged as well as his pancreas and spleen. He also developed shakiness. He stumbled when he walked. He's recovering now but he refuses to eat his food. He sniffs it and whines until you feed him something else. I don't know what happened but I've had to switch to another brand.

We have been feeding our Labradors Nutro for the past 18 years. They always got rave comments from people about how shiny their coats were. Lately, I noticed our current Lab's coat is dull, dry and coarse. Late last week, she began vomiting within an hour or so of eating. Starting yesterday, she hasn't even wanted to finish her bowl of food. Today, she again vomited after her morning feeding and much of remains uneaten in her bowl. She is otherwise healthy, active, alert; no signs of physical ailments to be concerned with. Tonight, we changed her food to Taste of the Wild. We have friends who feed their 3 dogs this brand. Their dogs have the coats our Lab used to have.

After reading many of the previous reviews, it appears we are not the only ones who are experiencing problems with Nutro. Maybe Mars should concentrate on making candy bars and not mess with what was once a superior product. I threw the remaining 20 lbs. of Nutro into the garbage tonight and will not be purchasing any more, nor any other product produced by Mars.

I switched my 7 month old Husky mix slowly to this food (Nutro Large breed lamb puppy food) over the last 2.5 weeks mixing it with the blue Buffalo he is currently on. I upped the mix of Nutro to approx. 75% from 50% on Monday evening and he threw up Tuesday evening then on Wednesday at 3am. I could not sleep because I was so worried about my baby dog. He threw up most of his dinner after eating it like 9 hours ago. Then I decided to look at the reviews and saw a lot of other people saying the same thing and that Nutro was making their dog sick. I wanted him off the food immediately.

I went and bought him Orijen Puppy food Thursday and pretty much switched him cold turkey (I mixed the little bit of the Blue Buffalo I had left in with it) and he has had no problems. He was mostly fine on the Blue Buffalo except he would have loose stools sometimes. I did some Research on Nutro looking at Reviews on Pet Smart and everything seemed fine, but apparently I did not research enough! Do yourself a favour and skip this food! Not worth the risk!

Our 6 yr old Lab/Retriever Cross just spent 3 very sick days in & out of the vet's office. (Not to mention over $1000.00 in vet bills.) It started when we purchased a new bag of Nutro Ultra Large Breed food. Within a few hours of eating from this bag he was vomiting, this went on for a couple of hours. Later that evening we tried to give him a very small amount of food, he ate it and again an hour later was vomiting.

For the next 12 hours, he was continuing to be sick, he refused to lick ice and we were concerned with dehydration. The vet took him in and immediately put him on an IV. Then the tests began. It took days for our dog to accept even a little food. (NOT Nutro!) For a time we were worried that he might not make it thru this. Thankfully, 4 days later he is now eating and drinking again, his energy is still low, but he'd on the mend. There was no other reason found for his condition other than it was likely diet induced. I send Nutro an email informing them of the situation, with the bar code from the bag of food, hoping that they will do the right thing and recall this food before more dogs get sick.

Nutro Dog Food Company Profile