Nutro Dog Food
2.08/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Nutro Dog Food

The Nutro Company has been committed to creating natural and delicious dog food since 1926. As pioneers in the natural pet food industry, each ingredient is carefully chosen with a purpose, to provide the best nutrients for man's best friend.

We know your dog's health is important to you, and it's our promise to deliver quality dog food at a price that won't break the bank. You can trust that our ingredients and processes are carefully monitored so you can focus on enjoying time with your best friend. Read what our customers have to say and then check us out for yourself!

View More View More

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Nutro Dog Food Reviews

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

We bought Nutro Wholesome Essentials (Small Breed - Adult - Flavor Chicken, Brown Rice and Sweet Potato Recipe) for our pomeranian and the bag we bought made all of our dogs sick. Especially my pomeranian Biggie. He started out with black tarry loose stool that turned to a yellow diarrhea before turning to straight watery blood after 48 hours. My dog vomited twice and was in pain. We paid $400 to two vet hospitals to get my pom treated. We paid for blood tests and were given antibiotics that we are praying works for him along with a prescribed bland diet. We were ordered to stop feeding our dogs Nutro. When we came home from the vet we discovered our other dogs sick with yellow diarrhea because they were also eating Nutro. After we stopped feeding the food the dogs Nutro the vomiting and diarrhea stopped being sick.

I contacted Smart and Final in Camarillo where the product was bought to let them know what happened and that store pulled the product off shelves. I filed a formal complaint with the store in an effort to have the SKU removed from all Smart and Final stores. Nutro is dangerous and should be taken off shelves. I'm reporting to Consumer Affairs, BBB, and anyone else that will help in filing a formal complaint against Nutro further poisoning dogs with their substandard food quality. NUTRO IS TOXIC! BEWARE. Many recent consumer comments reporting dog poisoning.

Attached are photos of the Nutro Dog Food bag.
      Info For Poison Bag of NUTRO Food Purchased with SKU:
      Nutro -Feed Clean - Wholesome Essentials -Small Breed - Adult - Farm Raised Chicken, Brown Rice and Sweet Potato.
      Bar Code SKU: 079105122177
      Best By: May 20, 2020 (28_2)

921C2VICO8 17:22 CAPF00024

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

I started 2 of my 3 dogs on Nutro weight management (chicken formula) a few months ago as it was listed as a recommended product from my vet. They did not seem to have any issues and did lose a few pounds. HOWEVER..when I went to purchase a second bag, Petsmart only had the Lamb and rice formula. Because I was completely out, I purchased it. Within a few days, one of the 2 started getting up in the middle of the night to vomit. It had some full sized kibble in it. The food didn't occur to me as the source because I didn't change brands, only protein source. Two weeks later, my 2nd guy started to vomit. He has a tough tummy.

At the same time, my little Pomeranian was having diarrhea and I couldn't figure out why because her food had not changed. What I have since realized is that the Pomeranian was eating the kibble that fell from the big guy's bowls. Now that I've had them on a bland diet AND switched off of Nutro all together, all 3 dogs are completely fine. I was saddened to see so many similar stories and NO recalls or warnings. What more can we do here? The Petsmart manager said "unless the FDA has a direct correlation, we won't pull it". Ugh.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: July 8, 2019

I've been feeding my 5 y/o Boston Terrier Nutro Max since December of 2017. I had no complaints until now. I started using a new bag about 4 days ago. The first feeding he vomited up undigested food. Same the next day. He's been eating very little of it. Last night he started vomiting up bile, and has been doing so steady throughout the night and this morning. I will be changing food and no longer using this brand.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I started to feed my 9 month old puppy Nutro Essentials puppy food (chicken/rice/sweet potato). I purchase a small bag at Wal-Mart and my dog seemed to enjoy the food clearing her bowl (which was not done with her previous brand). As I was near the end of that bag I purchased the next small bag at Pets Supply Plus. My dog ate one serving and threw up undigested food a few hours later. At the next feeding time she again ate but threw up undigested food a few hours later and proceeded to vomit bile throughout the night.

The next morning she would not eat the food or even go near her dish nor would she would drink water. I gave her ice cubes to chew on plus the bland homemade diet of rice and boiled chicken for two days. She ate and digested the homemade food without problems. I started to re-introduce the Nutro but even with only a small amount (1/4 cup) mixed into the homemade food she began to vomit bile. I stopped feeding the food and notified Nutro but no response. I will no longer be purchasing or feeding Nutro.

Original review: June 29, 2019

Our Cocker Spaniel has been in Nutro Chicken dry food since a puppy. She is now almost three. We decided to mix the Lamb and Rice in with the Chicken. Within a few days, had vomiting issues and started refusing to eat. I added some boiled chicken which regretfully made her eat the food. She became extremely lethargic. Would just sleep all day with no interest in anything and no energy. Took her to vet - took fecal sample and blood test but he couldn’t find anything wrong. Finally dawned on me about food and I went back to the chicken only. Within a day, she was back to her old self. The only thing we changed was her food.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: June 7, 2019

Nutro Essentials Dry Dog Food Toy Breed has the smallest bites that I have found. The perfect chihuahua dry dog food. My chihuahua had stopped eating dry dog food, for several years. I tried just about every dry dog food there was, and she refused to eat even the best, including Blue Buffalo. She loves Nutro Toy Breed and has for several years now. She does not like the Nutro Small Breed as much as the Toy Breed. She just loves these tiny bites.

Original review: June 6, 2019

Three of my four dogs started vomiting. We took them to the vet and they were prescribed medication which didn’t help, in fact had to make an emergency call on a Sunday! They vomited their food either right after they ate it or around 3 o’clock in the morning! It was undigested food! After changing to a different brand the vomiting stopped almost immediately!

Original review: June 6, 2019

I've been feeding my dog Nutro lamb and rice since he was a 12 week old pup, started with the puppy food and then switched to adult. He is now 15 months old. About a month ago (after buying a new bag of Nutro lamb and rice) he started to throw up his food several hours after eating. This went on for 3-4 days and then he refused to eat the food. I called the Vet and started him on a bland homemade diet, he immediately stopped throwing up. After over a week on a bland diet, I started to intro Nutro again, just to have him suffer with horrible stomach gurgles and really bad diarrhea. I contacted the Mars Pet company via email with my pet's detailed story to get some info, have they changed the recipe?

Unfortunately, they sent me back a generic email with a number to call. Not helpful at all, I would have called in the first place without wasting my time had I known I would just get an automated response. Anyway, I went back to homemade food. He is doing great, I just started to introduce a new kibble (different company) and have had no issues. The last bag I bought of Nutro lamb and rice made my dog sick and I'm lucky I caught it in time before he suffered further. Please note this is a recent issue. I had senior dogs a few years ago and I feed them this same food with no issues for most of their lives. I'm very disappointed with the food and the customer service experience.

Original review: June 5, 2019

Purchased a bag of Nutro lamb mix dry food and it near killed my dog along with a friend's dog as well so I complained about it and all it was is a ** show from insurance guys sending me false information and documents from Mars and the insurance company!!!! Steer clear of these douche bags as they're criminals in every way possible.

Original review: June 4, 2019

We purchased Nutro at Walmart. Our dog has been having yellow diarrhea on & off. Now I’m reading other people are experiencing serious health issues with their pets & the use of WALMART NUTRO!!! I will never buy Nutro again or dog food from Walmart.

Nutro Dog Food Company Information