Nutro Dog Food
4.39/5
  • 1 star
Based on 961 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good dog food brand?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Nutro Dog Food

The Nutro Company has been committed to creating natural and delicious dog food since 1926. As pioneers in the natural pet food industry, each ingredient is carefully chosen with a purpose, to provide the best nutrients for man's best friend.

We know your dog's health is important to you, and it's our promise to deliver quality dog food at a price that won't break the bank. You can trust that our ingredients and processes are carefully monitored so you can focus on enjoying time with your best friend. Read what our customers have to say and then check us out for yourself!

FIND OUT MORE FIND OUT MORE
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 10, 2017

2877 Nutro Dog Food Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I chose Nutro because it was less expensive than the Blue Buffalo brand we were buying and it seems to have similar quality. The Lite & Weight Management is low in calories but with proper nutrition and without artificial ingredients plus the price is not unreasonable.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Nutro High Protein-Grain Free is highly praised by other dog owners I talked to. I like the variety for other dogs and at different stages of their life. It meets every pet owner’s needs. I like the high protein and the no grain content. It’s a popular and natural and safe brand. I’d be willing to buy it for my pets. The kibble brand gives my dog the crunch that she enjoys as well as the care to keep her teeth and gums healthy as well as bone health, a shiny coat and her digestive system running smoothly. The vitamins inside the formula give her a healthy start to enjoy life. In spite of recent online reviews and some FDA investigations, I’d still try it and give it to my dogs. I’ve personally never had any problems, nor my dog. I just don’t see it on sale as much as the other brands and I would like larger package sizes. Overall it’s a great brand and product.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I chose Nutro Dog High Protein-Grain Free Food because my dog seems to really like this brand. The options offered are also one of a kind which further leads me to love it more. It has surprisingly exceeded my initial expectations which were rather high. I like this because there is no other product like this on the market. It take several hours in one day just to shop around to find this product, so it’s somewhat special. (Not only special for the dog per se.) I still love this product although I hate that this is rare on the market. But it’s always worth the purchase.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Our veterinarian suggested we try Nutro Lite & Weight Management. Formulated to control weight of our Pug who is a senior dog. No artificial flavors, colors preservative, non GMO and low calorie in a lamb and rice formula which has vitamins, antioxidants, minerals and nutrients to keep her healthy. It also gives her fiber and protein which she needs. And we were able to get her weight to an acceptable level. She went from 38 pounds to 30 pounds without starving for food and made our Vet happy. Dog enjoys this food and her digestive tract is healthy.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I like the Nutro Lite & Weight Management because it's made of more natural ingredients. And overall, Nutro is a healthier choice for my Dogs. It's a nice and inexpensive alternative to the Blue Buffalo. It was also available at the hardware store that I frequent. Less additives and fillers also made me interested in the brand. No frills, just good dog food. The packaging is pretty plain, and it's also not marketed as much as some of the other brands, but I really like the fact that they're more focused on producing a good product rather than a slick marketing campaign.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I like the overall texture of the High Protein-Grain Free in general. I feel as though this dog food brand does an above average job in providing consistent quality in terms of texture within its brand overall. But this brand could provide more options for dog owners to choose from by adding a more unique combination of flavors or different tastes to ultimately choose from when owners are selecting food for their dogs. It could really shake up the market industry for a more versatile dog food brand that provides more meat or grain flavors.

The Nutro Dog Food brand has initially met my expectations for healthy variety of dog food compared to other dog food brands. I have provided my dog with many other brands of dog food for a long time before selecting the Nutro Dog Food brand, but I find that this dog food is consistently healthy and generally good for my dog.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

Our veterinarian recommended Nutro Dog Food (Lite & Weight Management) and our dog likes it. I like that this dog food is made of high-quality and natural ingredients. It is healthier for my dog than a lot of other products on the market today and I am glad I can order it online. But I would like it to be available at more stores so I could pick it up whenever I was out instead of having to make a special trip to buy it.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I wanted a better quality dog food intended for active dogs. The Nutro High Endurance has high protein and nutritional content for increased energy and improved health. Overall, the food is of excellent quality.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

My brother told me about Nutro High Protein-Grain Free. He said it was great and his dog loves it. He also said it must taste good because his dog ate it without stopping. The dog food is high in protein and it is grain free. It has the nutrition that I feel is the best for my dog. My dog seems to have more pep and energy when I feed her Nutro. But maybe there should be more flavors available for it so my dog would not get tired of always eating the same flavor.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

Nutro Dog Food (Lite & Weight Management) is one of the best brands out there. My dog loves it and in his old age we need to manage his weight. We also use the older product because of his age. He depends on me and Nutro is a great dog food. You pay more, but you get your money's worth.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

Nutro is a top name brand that has a consistent track record of producing healthy products that are designed for dogs. My dog really seems to like the High Endurance and I also feel it is good for him and gives him vitamins and minerals that a growing dog needs to stay fit and lean. It is a quality dog food and is made for high endurance. The sizes of the packaging could contain more various sizes and amounts, though.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

The Nutro Dog Food was originally recommended to me by my veterinarian. Our oldest dog had gained a little too much weight, and our veterinarian suggested the Lite & Weight Management version of Nutro. It has definitely helped us manage our dog's weight. But I would like to see it packaged more securely. We often worry about getting those grain moths in our dog food, and they are sometimes difficult to combat. During the warmer months, we've taken to preemptively freezing our dog food before storing it in an airtight container. Other than that, I like that the Nutro Dog Food has small bites, because one of my dogs is a small breed. I also like the nutritional aspect of the dog food over other brands I've used in the past. And more importantly, my dogs really like the taste of their Nutro dog food.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

My vet recommended I purchase the Nutro High Endurance. My dog was having dry skin problems along with irregular BM texture and smell and, I am overly happy that my vet offered such a great choice. I like plenty of things about Nutro dog food; it helps my dog to have a normal looking and smelling BM, I know exactly what is in the product, and my dog loves the taste of any Nutro product I have bought. I wish it could be less expensive but, that's what you get when your feeding your dog healthy food!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

It has no by-products or fillers and has all vitamins and nutrients needed for a healthy and happy dog. Allows for a better, productive and more nourishing feeding time and not eating just to fill the tummy. Also, great taste if my dog is eating it. The Nutro High Endurance makes my dog happy, therefore, it keeps both of us happy.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Dog's weight was decreasing. He was eating but he still lost weight. I bought Nutro High Protein-Grain Free and fed it only and he ate better. I like Nutro grain free dog food. It doesn't have the added fillers like other brands of dog food and it seems to be easier for my dog to digest. I bought Nutro to provide the essentials my dog needs to gain weight and he has gained 4 pounds so far and going. He likes it and seems to have more energy. I plan to feed only Nutro products. It has more than met my expectations and I have decided to put 9 of my dogs on it.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Nutro Lite & Weight Management was recommended to me by my vet. It has met my expectations as my dog has energy and has lost weight on the product. It is healthy for my dog and there has been no issues with him not eating it. Plus it is all natural and not grain based. Also, it is visually appealing. I like the product but the packaging branding could use some work. It does not seem modern enough. I think that a branding update would make it more appealing. I will continue to use the product though.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Nutro High Protein-Grain Free food met my initial expectation in that it is mostly made from natural protein that has not been added things like antibiotics. I liked the quite varied, different sources of protein, especially lamb and chicken. These also include sources like chickpeas, chicken meal, pea protein, dried potatoes etc. Also essential minerals, vitamins, oils and fiber are the important ingredients. But I would like the carbohydrate level to be more than the present level. Also there is no probiotics on the list of ingredients. Alfalfa meal I know mostly to be associated with horse food, so not too sure about that.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Nutro Dog Food (Lite & Weight Management) is 100 percent all natural and does not contain any artificial or man made or modified ingredients on any of their dog food varieties which is very positive and unique to this brand of dog food. The main ingredient is always natural vegetables and always contain only real chicken and meat products.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Nutro Lite & Weight Management is a much healthier food for my dogs than many brands. It is a flavor that both of my dogs like, which is very important to me. It even has a nice smell to it that I would think please my dogs. However, I would like to see it a little more reasonable in price but it is from a well known brand so I don't mind splurging for the dog. It is also important to me also that my dogs stay a healthy weight.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I like the fact that Nutro High Protein-Grain Free is dry and not wet so there is less of a mess in the house. I also like the name. It has the most nutrition for my dog and he likes this brand unlike others which he won’t eat. Nutro helps my dog stay strong and energetic. The food also is grain free and that would help my dog digest. But the portion size is a bit small and sometimes my dog doesn't like it. My dog is small though so the portion size doesn’t really matter but I wish it would be better.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Nutro is a great company making great food, healthy & no unwanted ingredients. The Lite & Weight Management is a high quality food that my dogs can eat to maintain a healthy weight, but don't have to compromise on flavor & nutrients. Brown rice & sweet potato are very good for them, farm raised chickens and no by products and GMO. I decided to buy this food because my female Chihuahua was having problems with a sensitive stomach. Also, it is made in the USA and the price was not too high. Plus, I really liked the logo and design of the bag.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I appreciate the Nutro Dog HIGH PROTEIN-Grain Free product. I want my dog to have energy and this assists with giving an animal energy. I read the ingredients in several brands of dog food while I visited the DOG FOOD STORE and I appreciated the ingredients in Nutro Dog Food. High Protein is very important in keeping my dog well therefore I chose it over the other dog foods. It is the best dog food because of its ingredients that are beneficial to the health of my animal that I love. I will use this product as long as I have an animal to feed.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

My vet told me that my dog has a grain allergy so we switched to freaking free food. One is picky but would eat Nutro High Protein-Grain Free so we switched to it. They both love the food. I try to feed them better dog food to keep them healthy and I feel good about giving Nutro to them. It has helped my dog with the grain allergy. He no longer gets raw spots on his back and the other dog will eat it too. It would be nice to have some variety to the food though.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I like that there are a variety of sizes to choose from. There are different mixtures and textures that fit the needs of my array of dogs. The prices are affordable and they are a proven product that keeps becoming more and more healthier as time goes on. Also, they have all of approvals that I expect to see on the bag or box when purchasing healthy dog food. The Nutro High Endurance is also recommended by my animals vet. Although there is a variety of food blends, they don't include some of the choices that my dogs particularly like. Some of the blends my dogs won't even attempt to eat, but all in all, it is my favorite brand to purchase. As long as they keep producing different flavors and blends fish, salmon, duck, chicken, and quail I will continue to purchase from my local supplier.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

My dog was allergic to every dog food we tried, so I did some research on ConsumerAffairs.com. I found that Nutro dog food had great reviews and one type was free of beef and chicken. I ordered the lamb and rice formula and my dog was NOT ALLERGIC to it. My dog's skin rashes cleared up and I have now kept her on this food for 1 1/2 years. I recommend this to anyone who has a dog with beef and chicken allergies. Another great thing about this dog food is that my dog devours it! She LOVES it!!!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

Had very high expectations on this food (Nutro with Lamb) - great reviews were everywhere. Really disappointed!! My healthy American bulldog mix started having a diarrhea and skin issues after two weeks on this. Before that, we had another HORRIBLE food from the same company (aka Pedigree - beware! the worst food ever!) Now, I will never purchase ANY product from Mars, especially dog food. I won't recommend this to anyone. Now we ordered another food from the company that is focused ONLY on a dog food, not just profit.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I bought a brand new bag of Dog food for my dog and found a dead Rat in the bag of dog food which I fed half of it to my dog. I picked it up while scooping it up to feed my dog. I've never had a rodent in my place nor was it possible for one to get into this tiny opening. We have been with this brand for almost 6 years and we're thrilled with the quality until this happened. I called customer service and they treated me like crap and only offered my money back. They didn't sound like they were thrilled with keeping me as a customer at all. I would not recommend this brand or company to anyone.

Original review: July 13, 2017

My dog stopped eating and the man at the pet store suggested Nutro Dog Food (Original Formula). My dog is a Yorkie and is very picky with what she eats. She ate the food for a little while and then stopped eating again. I didn't like the price and have to drive farther to get it so that wasn't good. I could have had it shipped, but that was also an extra cost. I don't always drive farther out so I was having to make special trips just for 1 bag of food and that to me was a waste of gas. Nevertheless, I liked that it had many options as far as flavors and grain free or not. It didn't seem to upset my dog's stomach either.

Original review: July 13, 2017

High Protein-Grain Free: I like that it's all natural, grain free, high protein, real meat is the first ingredient has veggies and nutrients my dog needs to live a very healthy lifestyle, good for bones. It doesn't need change other than could include more variety of flavors and include more unique flavor varieties such as sweet potato. I did some research online and found it to be a top notch brand that is all natural and does not include anything artificial or fake and no filler, corn wheat or soy. Worth the price.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I chose Nutro Dog Food Original Formula because it seems to be better for my pet. Which is very important to me and for her health. Healthier food for my dog means that she won’t become overweight and that helps my mind rest at ease. Better food for my pet means that my little raisin gets the best food that is there for her. Nutro is a premium brand. However, I don’t like the packaging. The packaging to me is very bland and more color would be better for the brand. Other than the packaging being on the stale side, the font and everything is really really nice.

Nutro Dog Food Company Information