Nutro Dog Food
2.00/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Nutro Dog Food

The Nutro Company has been committed to creating natural and delicious dog food since 1926. As pioneers in the natural pet food industry, each ingredient is carefully chosen with a purpose, to provide the best nutrients for man's best friend.

We know your dog's health is important to you, and it's our promise to deliver quality dog food at a price that won't break the bank. You can trust that our ingredients and processes are carefully monitored so you can focus on enjoying time with your best friend. Read what our customers have to say and then check us out for yourself!

View More View More

Looking for a good dog food brand?

3047 Nutro Dog Food Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 7, 2019

Nutro Essentials Dry Dog Food Toy Breed has the smallest bites that I have found. The perfect chihuahua dry dog food. My chihuahua had stopped eating dry dog food, for several years. I tried just about every dry dog food there was, and she refused to eat even the best, including Blue Buffalo. She loves Nutro Toy Breed and has for several years now. She does not like the Nutro Small Breed as much as the Toy Breed. She just loves these tiny bites.

Original review: June 6, 2019

Three of my four dogs started vomiting. We took them to the vet and they were prescribed medication which didn’t help, in fact had to make an emergency call on a Sunday! They vomited their food either right after they ate it or around 3 o’clock in the morning! It was undigested food! After changing to a different brand the vomiting stopped almost immediately!

Original review: June 6, 2019

I've been feeding my dog Nutro lamb and rice since he was a 12 week old pup, started with the puppy food and then switched to adult. He is now 15 months old. About a month ago (after buying a new bag of Nutro lamb and rice) he started to throw up his food several hours after eating. This went on for 3-4 days and then he refused to eat the food. I called the Vet and started him on a bland homemade diet, he immediately stopped throwing up. After over a week on a bland diet, I started to intro Nutro again, just to have him suffer with horrible stomach gurgles and really bad diarrhea. I contacted the Mars Pet company via email with my pet's detailed story to get some info, have they changed the recipe?

Unfortunately, they sent me back a generic email with a number to call. Not helpful at all, I would have called in the first place without wasting my time had I known I would just get an automated response. Anyway, I went back to homemade food. He is doing great, I just started to introduce a new kibble (different company) and have had no issues. The last bag I bought of Nutro lamb and rice made my dog sick and I'm lucky I caught it in time before he suffered further. Please note this is a recent issue. I had senior dogs a few years ago and I feed them this same food with no issues for most of their lives. I'm very disappointed with the food and the customer service experience.

Original review: June 5, 2019

Purchased a bag of Nutro lamb mix dry food and it near killed my dog along with a friend's dog as well so I complained about it and all it was is a ** show from insurance guys sending me false information and documents from Mars and the insurance company!!!! Steer clear of these douche bags as they're criminals in every way possible.

Original review: June 4, 2019

We purchased Nutro at Walmart. Our dog has been having yellow diarrhea on & off. Now I’m reading other people are experiencing serious health issues with their pets & the use of WALMART NUTRO!!! I will never buy Nutro again or dog food from Walmart.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: June 2, 2019

Long time user of Nutro Lamb and Rice small kibbles for a 17 pound adult dog. The day after opening a 6 lb. bag purchased in April 2019 our dog did not want to be touched and did not want to lie on her side. Two days later, the dog developed a yellow watery diarrhea. Her appetite and water consumption did not change during this time. Kept giving her the daily food for 3-5 more days. Diarrhea did not change. Took her to the vet who prescribed a bland diet (in limited amounts) of rice and boiled white chicken meat. Continuing the bland diet for another week, did not slow the yellow watery diarrhea. Doctor then prescribed a different probiotic and Purina EN kibble. Today is the day after the first Purina EN diet day. This morning's stool was formed, not watery, and not yellow in color. Except for Nutro purchased in April, I cannot identify other factors that might have caused the digestive upset.

Original review: May 9, 2019

It first happened "coincidentally" around the same time Nutro started selling in WalMart. I opened my dogs food and it looked wrong, but smelled fine, package intact. My pet wouldn't eat it. They had changed the formula, reducing the lamb content and increasing the chicken content - a cheaper ingredient. Both of my dogs require special diets, and cannot just change foods, which is what Nutro did. It was not on the product packaging unless you read the ingredients, or ANYWHERE on the product page of their web site - I discovered it by digging into their FAQ's. I contacted the company for a refund of my pricey dog food and when I REALLY pushed they conceded that all the lamb formula dry dog foods were being changed to increase chicken - which wasn't even supposed to BE an ingredient in my other dogs "Limited Ingredient Diet Lamb & Rice formula".

I began changing his dry food immediately to avoid the sudden ingredient shift but kept them on the Nutro canned food since it didn't appear to be having the same changes and my dogs can't change food easily. Well, 9 months later, I get 3 autoship orders in a row of the wrong kind of canned food. I even asked when I called if Nutro changed the food, but what I received is still being sold a a distinctly different product from what I ordered, and as far as the seller knew they are separate and their own warehouse had screwed up several times.

Today it happened for a fourth shipment and I was on the companies web site to get the VERY SPECIFIC info for the warehouse and discovered the product I ordered shows in a tiny picture on the side a "new look". Old product, "Chunky Chicken and Turkey Stew" "NEW LOOK" is "Turkey Sweet Potato and Green Bean". That. Is. NOT. A NEW. LOOK. The ingredients (on the actual LABEL and the ingredient list) are completely different, and once again CHEAPER. My CANINES don't eat sweet potatoes. Every product that gets a "NEW LOOK" but says nothing about the formula change is a straight bait and switch tactic to swap out for cheaper ingredients.

Original review: April 24, 2019

My lab has been on Nutro for the last 4 years. When we opened the most recent bag purchased in April 2019, my dog was sick with diarrhea that same night. She was sick for the next 4 days until we finally stopped feeding it to her and started her on a bland diet. I reached out to the company a week ago and have yet to hear back. They either changed their ingredients or something went wrong at the plant, Either way a recall is needed in my opinion. Would not recommend until they release information on what happened this spring and publish how they will fix.

Original review: April 22, 2019

I bought the adult lamb and rice Nutro dog food and started mixing 1 cup with 1 cup Purina puppy food as I was transitioning my puppy to adult food. It took about a month to get through the 15 lb bag. Then I stopped the puppy food and went solely to the Nutro. About a week in, my 6 month old border/aussie started having liquidy, yellow diarrhea. It took me about another week to realize it was the Nutro. My dog had stopped eating as much and then didn't want to eat the food at all. We thought she was sick and this was why. I would mix in a little chicken broth so she would eat (after the fact, I regret forcefeeding her this poison). She also drank very little water, which was worrisome because of the diarrhea.

She no longer played, mostly just slept, and wasn't herself. She would have accidents in the middle of the night when she was already fully potty trained. Both pees and 'poops'. They also were the most disgusting smell in the world. Nothing like a normal dog poop smell. It smelt like rancid meat and chemicals. The picture attached is not my own, but it is what her poop looked like-sometimes even less solid and almost with a gelatinous nature.

I read reviews here (luckily after only 2 weeks) and threw away the Nutro. I started feeding her a bland diet of boiled chicken and white rice. It took about 4-5 days before she took her first solid poop again! She also regained her energy and went back to being her normal, hyper little self. I kept her on chicken and rice for another 2 weeks then switched her to Fromm dog food. She has been perfect ever since (that was 4 months ago). I believe NUTRO would have killed her had she eaten it 1 more week. Why is there no recall yet? #doglivesmatter

Original review: April 16, 2019

I got a bag of this for my 4 month old German Shepherd because of the good reviews and it was a horrible mistake! After about a week and a half my puppy would throw up in his kennel around 5:30-6:340am, like clockwork. A yellow bile substance. I thought it was because of the late night treats he would get before bed, but when I cut those out he would still do it 3 nights a week. He was also consistently gaining 3 lbs a week on the food we started him out on, which was Purina One Large Breed puppy Food. Well the past 2 weeks he has maintained and even lost a pound. Did some digging on the food and it is apparently a thing with Nutro, the throwing up in the middle of the night. I feel bad that he was on it for as long as he was!

Nutro Dog Food Company Information