Nutro Dog Food
4.22/5
Based on 645 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good dog food brand?

Nutro Dog Food

The Nutro Company has been committed to creating natural and delicious dog food since 1926. As pioneers in the natural pet food industry, each ingredient is carefully chosen with a purpose, to provide the best nutrients for man's best friend.

We know your dog's health is important to you, and it's our promise to deliver quality dog food at a price that won't break the bank. You can trust that our ingredients and processes are carefully monitored so you can focus on enjoying time with your best friend. Read what our customers have to say and then check us out for yourself!

FIND OUT MORE FIND OUT MORE
    Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 17, 2018

2919 Nutro Dog Food Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I like this Adult small breed food because of the limited ingredients and the quality of the food. It is an appropriate size for my 7 pound dog to eat easily!!!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

My 4 month old German Shepherd/Husky mix puppy has been at the vet for 2 days now after I discovered bloody stool. At first, I thought maybe he ate something he shouldn't have or had something worse so I took him into the Vet the next morning and they were concerned as well as he is an indoor puppy and is up to date on his shots. They still ran a parvo test which came back negative, did multiple x-rays to determine if he ate something he shouldn't have, and finally did a barium series on him to see if they could get a better look and finally determined he had Gastritis.

His intestines were full of gas which alarmed the vet. After keeping him in observation, and after researching the food, we concluded the Nutro Chicken Food is the reason for his bloody stool as well as skin problem. This food is NOT GOOD FOR YOUR PUPPY!!! There is a reason it is so affordable but it actually cost you more once your poor pup is sick. I've already called to complain because NUTRO should not only remove their products but they should cover the expenses we pet owners get due to their negligence in their products. DO NOT BUY THIS FOOD!!!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Fed Nutro a few yrs ago. Dog had seizures. Went online to see other dogs had seizures as well. Disgusted with dog food industry. Cooked real food for dog - dog's body assimilated more of the food (75%) over Nutro. With Nutro what went in also came out with nothing used in between. Pissed at df industry.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

After several different brands, I tried Nutro Wholesome Essentials for my small dogs (One is a Japanese Spaniel and the other an American Cocker Spaniel). Both love it. No itching, diarrhea or vomiting. They readily eat it up in AM and PM.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I feed my 8 year old dog NUTRO ULTRA Small Breed adult and he absolutely loves it. The ingredients seem very high quality and his coat is super shiny. The vet commented that he is healthier than he is ever been.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

My two small dogs like this dry dog food and eat it regularly. It gives them firm stools that are easy to pick up. Since eating this brand they have fewer to nil stomach upsets. They eat the small bites chicken, brown rice and sweet potato recipe.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I have two dogs and the older dog is on Nutro Weight Management and she loves it. The younger dog is on Nutro Regular and I am very happy with how he is handling the food, because he is such a picky eater. I use to feed them a different brand but the dogs were having side effects, with the switch everything is working well.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I fed this to 2 different dogs, first one was ok. I discontinued it with the 2nd dog due to sensitivity to ingredients, and aging dog needs. I was uncomfortable with the misc non nutritive ingredients.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

My 14 1/2 year old lab that suffers with anal cancer loves the grain free chicken and he has no problems digesting it, his stools are consistently well formed and I feel it gives him the adequate nutrition he needs.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I needed a sensitive stomach food for my Brussels Griffon. I had tried all the organic/natural diets and my guy still had issues. I remembered Nutro advertising a sensitive stomach food and I gave it a try and have been very pleased.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I have raise 5 dogs on this brand. They have been very healthy and lived long lives for big dogs averaging 14 -15 years each. They had beautiful coats and clear eyes. The food is easily digested without corn, wheat and other byproducts. All my dogs have loved the Nutro Lamb with Rice.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

Not many pet food suppliers carry the brand. So difficult to find. Used it because meat was a primary ingredient not meal. Good value because of the ingredients.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Multiple times my 80 lb mutt (possibly, boxer, pit bull, mastiff, not sure, several different breeds) has gotten sick after eating Nutro, and even after not eating that much of it. At first I wasn't sure what was giving him terrible yellow diarrhea and extreme lethargy. After enough observation, I realized every time he had any of that food when nothing else has changed for him, he would quickly get sick. The yellow diarrhea wasn't pleasant but most noticeable was his lethargy, and this is a typically a very high energy dog. He would sleep for days at a time and barely move. He is 2.5 years old and otherwise incredibly healthy. I am 100% sure it is the Nutro causing this because everything else was kept constant in his life. Without the Nutro he does fantastic.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

My dogs have always eaten Nutro brand - for 17 years now. It is nutritious and they love it. Always available and at a fair price. No need to switch.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I have tried other brands of dog food that our dog did not seem to like. Our dog really likes the Nutro source brand. He does like to get treats also and we do get him moist food with gravy as a treat.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Nutro has reps at PetSmart on the weekends that can tell you all about their food and its benefits. We had a dog that was diabetic and they helped us a lot!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

This product is hard to find, but mail delivery brings it right to me. No allergies reactions, filled with good items not fillers, dog's coat looks better and happier dog.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Nutro Max Chicken and Rice: My bullmastiff dies from kidney failure in 2015. And the only brand of dog food I ever fed her was Nutro Max because I thought that was the best brand. I always questioned how and why my dog died from something like this when she was so healthy and active. Fast forward to 2017 I had this feeling to search Nutro Max causing dogs to die and I found so much stuff and people who said their dogs experienced kidney failure and the brand of dog food they were eating.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Nutro dog food gives my dogs body fat, healthy teeth, and I like the big chunks in it instead the little bit. My dogs like to eat fast. I am glad it slows them down from eating fast.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

My dogs, Toy Poodle and Belgian Shepherd, have been eating Nutro Max Grain Free food for over a year and are just fine. No further allergy issues and is easy to maintain a healthy weight in both of them. Until I learn differently I would recommend the grain free food to any and all.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I recently switched my 3 animals to Nutro Pet Food. 2 of them have serious allergies. I feed my cats Nutro Grain Free Salmon. One of my cats had chewed off her fur, and was vomiting after eating every day. I tried many different foods over her 15 years. Nothing helped until I found Nutro. Within 1 day, vomiting stopped. Within 1 week, she stopped chewing her fur and it was growing back. Today, a month later, she healthy, enjoying her food, has stopped vomiting, hair is thick and shiny, and has some much needed weight. Wish I had changed sooner.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I fed the adult version to my dachshund, Lucy who had diarrhea all over the carpet and I had to have it steam-cleaned. I thought she must have gotten into something. Soon after, I purchased a bag of Nutro puppy for my new Doberman puppy and he got diarrhea so bad it was awful. I put him on a bland diet and stopped the food. After it cleared up, I tried to gradually add the Nutro puppy food back into his diet. The loose stools came right back. This food is really terrible and with all the gastric complaints, I wonder why they are still selling it? Is it really GMO? GMOs cause gastric upset in people as well as animals. I think this food should be investigated thoroughly.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Our dog is now three years old and when we rescued him, he was 9 months old, and on puppy Nutro lamb, rice and chicken. He is on the same adult food now and loves this food. He does have some skin allergies during the summer and our vet told us that the food we are using is not causing any problems. So I rate this food formula 5 star for my dog as he really likes it and is thriving and happy.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I cannot believe what I'm reading here. I was recommended Nutro by a local pet store. I feed it to my 4 yo dog and a day later severe diarrhea and he pooped blood all over. I researched this food and unbelievable what I'm reading here, many dogs have the same symptoms from this food. That is bottom disgusting that this food is still sold in stores.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Nutro High Protein-Grain Free is well known in my social life and my friends tell me it is good. So I bought some pack of them to try. After I used it for months, my dogs look like they love it. I love buying this dog food because it is easy to eat for my two little dogs. They love it because it’s soft and got good taste. This dog food can make my dogs looks not fat and it looks good for my dogs eating every day. But it’s just too colorful, it seems not healthy at all. It is good if they can change color to make them look more healthy. And it’s better to add more vitamins in there.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

It is a good brand with different varieties and great flavors and my dog loves it. It has quality ingredients made from natural products that are helpful to my dog. Nutro High Endurance is tasty and enjoyable to my pet and it's something that I can feel proud to feed my dog.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I like that it is high protein, grain free, it's low glycemic with chickpeas and has carbohydrates which is good food for dogs. Provides lots of energy and salmon for omega's benefit. I chose it because it doesn't have a lot of junk additives which are not good for my dog. It's a very recommended brand by my veterinarian. Plus my dog loves this food. The only thing I don't like is the price, but pay it anyway knowing the benefits outweigh the cost and to have really good food for my dog which is healthier.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

The reason that I decided to buy the Nutro dog food is because the store I normally shop at was showcasing this brand at the front of the store and had a sale on the brand if I purchased 2 or more bags. The Nutro dog food (Lite & Weight Management) that I purchase for my dog is specially formulated for his stage in life and specific needs for that life stage. I like the dog food so much. It really is a great value for all of the nutrition that it provides.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

My dog’s hair was not as soft as it was and I kept trying new food until I found Nutro Dog High Protein-Grain Free Food. His coat is soft and he feels great and both dogs love the taste and I want the best for my furry friends. I like that it has no artificial colors or flavors and great nutrition plus my dogs love the taste which is important because if they won't eat it, it does not matter how good it is for them. But I wish they would improve the bags to be a little tougher so they would be resealable and less prone to holes. I want the food to stay fresh and keep all its nutrients and also preserves the flavor so it would be an all around good thing.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

We have tried other brands and my dog did not like them, but she loves Nutro (Lite & Weight Management). It is small enough for my dog to eat. It also is good for her diet. It is an all natural food source for my dog, and made with real meat and vegetables. It does not contain soy or any other by-products in it. This one she eats very well and doesn't have a problem with her stomach. But they could make it in a beef flavor instead of just chicken flavor.

Nutro Dog Food Company Information

NUTRO Pet Foods
    www.nutro.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use