Nutro Dog Food

Nutro Dog Food

3.2/5 (2737 ratings)
Find a Dog Food partner

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Nutro Dog Food

Click "Shop Now" to visit a retailer.

The Nutro Company has been committed to creating natural and delicious dog food since 1926. As pioneers in the natural pet food industry, each ingredient is carefully chosen with a purpose, to provide the best nutrients for man's best friend.

Pros

• Lists meat as first ingredient
  • Suitable for all life stages
  • Grain-free options

Cons

• Contains meat meals
  • Difficult for some dogs to digest

Bottom Line

Nutro Dog food available in a variety of textures and flavor profiles. Some reviews indicate the food might cause stomach issues.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Nutro Dog Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutro Dog Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: April 16, 2019

We have been using Nutro Chicken/Brown Rice Large Breed Puppy food for our Wheaten Terrier since he was 12 weeks old and he seems to like it a lot. He is 1 1/2 years old and we are switching to Large breed Adult Nutro Chicken/brown rice. Made in U.S.A without anything added from anywhere else.

Original review: April 14, 2019

I buy food that has meat in the first couple of ingredients. I avoid any non-meat meal or meat by-products. Peas are something that should be down the ingredients label. Look for vitamins and minerals with a strong percentage of proteins.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Bear died with complications of Protein Losing Enteropathy due to bad batch of this food. I cannot begin to tell people how guilty I feel for feeding him this. I am lost without him. Shame on you Nutro and shame on Petsmart for selling it.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Our three dogs are healthy and have shiny, thick coats. Other dog food brands we have tried seem to have caused itching and dull coats. Ingredients indicate Nutro is a healthy, grain-free pet food.

Original review: April 12, 2019

We have been feeding our Mia, Nutro Essentials Small Breed dry dog food since she was a puppy. She's going to be 5 this Sunday. I opened a new 15lb. bag of the Nutro Essentials Small Breed Adult and she started puking a few hours later. Not realizing it was the food making her sick for a couple days, went to feed her breakfast and she would not eat it. Just looked at the bowl and looked me. Put two and two together then.

I called the store where I bought it and was told they were getting many calls recently about this very issue with Nutro foods and was told to bring it back and they would help me find a new dog food for her. We are very disappointed with the Nutro company for not being forthcoming about their ingredient change. Our pets are our family and would never knowingly feed them something that would make them sick. Shame on you Nutro, spent money on new bag designs and getting that word out, but when it came to the dog food recipe change you said nothing.

Original review: April 12, 2019

We buy her Limited Ingredient Diet venison food. For the biggest bag it is about $70. One of the most expensive in the Pet Store. You cannot buy it at the grocery store. The price, availability, make me not want to buy it. However it’s the only food that my dog poops out Solid. It does cause her stool to be black.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Own three dogs of varying ages, size and activity levels. Dogs are healthy and satisfied. I feel the food is a bit pricey but worth it. I use auto delivery and reorder via Chewy.com for best available pricing and convenience.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I have been feeding my dogs Nutro for Years. I feel as if this food has given them the best life possible. No unnecessary vet visits, healthy teeth, gums, over all good health. Love this food and so do my dogs.

Original review: April 9, 2019

We went through many dog foods to find the one right for our Rottweiler. Nutro has been the best so far for his sensitive stomach. He loves the taste and does not have any bad side effects with this brand. Thank you!

Original review: April 8, 2019

My dog's breeder recommended Nutro Ultra and I've fed my dog this food all his life. He has GREATLY exceeded the life expectancy for his breed -- he is nearly 14 (vs. normal expectancy of 8-10 years) and his health has been excellent.

Original review: April 6, 2019

My Miniature Poodle is over 16 years old and has been a picky eater for most of her life. Last year I tried a different food for her. NUTRO WHOLESOME ESSENTIALS, small breed Senior. I basically fill her bowl, and she eats what she wants, normally about a cup and a half. Great product. J **, Charlotte NC

Original review: April 5, 2019

In general it is very good dog food but my dog lost its interest in eating it unless I add additional wet food together. We have also try other brand of dog food but we like Nutro for its nutritional value (less filler content and also right balance of protein content). Comparing to Blue Buffalo brand which has too high protein content it will lead to weight gain issue for most dogs.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I love the easy to read and natural ingredients. My dog's particular favorite (as of today...he changes) is the sweet potato and any meat...so you've got choices. Feed your dog the way you would your humans...with love and wholesome nutrition for a full belly and happy days!

Original review: April 3, 2019

When I first got Roscoe he was on a high end food that made him "explode." For my dogs, in the past, I've used Nutro Lamb & Rice and, once I started feeding it to Roscoe he has had very little stomach difficulties.

Original review: March 31, 2019

We fed our dog canned Nutro food since we got him at 8 weeks and he loved it. Nutro decides to change the formula and add chunks of vegetables in it and he won’t eat it. Hasn’t eaten in two days. Had to change brands of dog foods. Thanks a lot Nutro!!

Original review: March 25, 2019

Suddenly making my 18 month old dog sick. My little dog has been on this food since she was a puppy.. I bought a bag a few weeks ago... She started throwing up. Urinating in my house, passing gas.. And did not seem herself. I would have never thought it was the food causing issues.. Being I have given to her since she was 3 months old.. There were also times she refused to eat it! We could not figure out what was wrong with her. I was so worried I ended up calling my vet and was told to start eliminating everything I feed her one at a time for a few days. Well she has been off this for a few days now and has been perfect! NO MORE ISSUES! This food needs to be recalled ASAP!

Original review: March 24, 2019

Within a few hours of feeding this product to our dog he began having stomach distress, with frequent loud expulsions of gas, followed by severe diarrhea. He's a house trained adult who never "goes" indoors, but he was incontinent and has had a number of accidents. No indication of this being a problem but now when you go to the Nutro website and try to pull up the webpage for this product, it appears to have been taken down.

Original review: March 23, 2019

He (Lab) loved his Nutro wholesome essentials when we first got him at 8 weeks old. Now at 10 months old, within the last month or so he has been puking early in the mornings and constantly eating grass to make himself sick, and has been having severe diarrhea. We have been feeding him the lamb and rice dry food. It was to the point where he didn't touch his food for over 24 hours. First thing we did was change his food. And guess what, he is back to normal! Recently Nutro has changed their ingredients to make it cheaper and using more chicken meal. We switched him to Go! Solutions by Petcurean. We highly recommend if you are having issues with Nutro.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I have been feeding my Pomeranian JoJo Nutro Small Breed and Toy Breed and when he eats he's not active and just sleeps. No energy and two days ago he vomited yellow bile. I am upset cause I didn't know Nutro is making dogs sick. It's shameful they kept this a secret at the expense of my dog eating food that is making him sick.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I raised both ten year old Papillons on this food. Recently I started seeing it on the shelves at places like Walgreens and Dollar General. This gave me great pause. 2 years ago we adopted a larger rescue and starting buying the Nutro cans of the same food. There was so much gel, the poor dog began having horrible re-flux issues. We stopped and bought more of the smaller packs for her as well. About 2 months ago we bought a case of the chicken and rice from PetSmart and had to return it. The food inside was old and grey tone. They apologized and gave us the "new" look packets.

The recipe which I knew first hand as I hand fed one of my older dogs, had changed. They added sweet potato to the chicken and rice which only had peas before. The Lamb has that same gel found in the cans. All of my dogs got diarrhea and acid re-flux. Their poop was green and yellow. Total bile from their insides. I am angered beyond reason. I have spent thousands of dollars over the years on their food, and now have to scramble to find something my 10 year old can eat, who has been eating this since he was a year old.

Shame on them. DO NOT FEED your dogs this food and do not believe a word they say about not changing the recipe. It's an absolute lie. I have had this food in my hands literally feeding my little one who has tooth issues. The recipes are the worst made with the cheapest ingredients. Shame on PetSmart, and Chewy who didn't notify their customers of this change. However, it seems that PetSmart bought Chewy.com and receives product fairly cheap. They just pass on the garbage to our dogs. SHAME!

Original review: March 5, 2019

I have been feeding my 3 dogs Nutro wet food packaged in the small trays, for the past 5 years. Nutro changed their packaging and formula for the worse. Not only do my dogs not like it, it has made them sick. By process of elimination it was determine that the new formulation Nutro was the culprit. I’ve read online reviews of many pet owners having experience the same results as I have. I noticed when I opened a tray that it has way too much gelatin. I would say 20% of the tray is nothing but gelatin. I actually had to scoop it off before I feed them. Never again! I wish Nutro would bring back their old formula.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I’ve used this food for years. In the last 6 months my dogs (dachshunds) have been having diarrhea and vomiting. The vet cannot figure it out. I read these reviews because it seems that when I feed them that’s when they get sick! I will not feed them this crap again! It has to be this food! Too many reviews to say otherwise! If either of my dogs die because of this I will sue these people! I even had one of my pets' poop analyzed and it said she is not digesting this food correctly! Please stop feeding your dog this food. I think they have changed the recipe!

Original review: March 4, 2019

I have been feeding my Boston Terrier Daisy Nutro natural for seven years. She became ill in August and I did not make the connection with Nutro until recently. She passed away on August 20, 2018 suddenly. 40s before she passed away she stopped eating as much then two days later she became lethargic. And she passed away two days later. My son’s dog a boxer only nine years old passed away from cancer of the tumor in his brain and in his mouth and he also ate the Nutro natural dog food. His dog and my dog play together all the time and eat the same food. I Daisy was only a trooper just turned nine. They’ve been together since they were born and now they’re both gone, With one thing in common Nutro natural. If you’re reading all these reviews and seeing how other pets Responded to it, I really think the loss of these two sweet pets was aided by Nutro natural.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I have a 10-month old miniature Dachshund who has always been fed Nutro wet food and Nutro kibble. I have been buying the 12-pack turkey and chicken trays since he transitioned to adult food after his neuter a couple months ago. Over the last couple weeks, he has been reluctant to eat, which is odd because he usually eats anything and everything. He’s also been less energetic after meals and wanting to lie around after eating. Last night after dinner, he began vomiting violently and having explosive diarrhea, tremors, and loss of motor function. I’m handing the remaining unopened trays of food over to the vet in hopes she can identify what in the food caused his symptoms.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

My 2 Yorkies have been getting sick off of this dog food. I have bought this dog food for the past 7 - 9 years and I never realized that my dogs were getting sick periodically. This would happen when the labeling and or ingredients would change from time to time. I noticed this particular time that my "Lamb" diet food was not being eaten and when I decided to wash my dogs bowl I noticed this "Lamb" diet smelled strongly of fish. My dogs currently have diarrhea and have been very lethargic.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

If I could give negative stars I would. Our regular vet had us put our Golden Pyrenees on Nutro nearly 2 years ago to help with her weight... She loved food, especially if it was within her reach such as dinner table, kitchen counter. It seems that Nutro changed their packaging and even naming of food not long ago which, I read here others think they changed the formula and I’m inclined to agree since her symptoms showed up about 2 35 lb bags into the change. She never had nor was suspected of having any heart issues but her diagnosis from vet hospital, after xrays, ultra-sounds, visible symptoms, blood work was DCM and CHF, Thrombocytopenia, Pulmonary thromboembolism and cranial vena cava thrombosis and Acute Kidney Injury.

Her symptoms began about a week or so before hospitalization with nebulization/oxygen cage when she began hacking/coughing, before that she was panting like she was hot so I did all I knew to cook her down (groomed/thinned her fur and bought cool pad for her bed). I thought the hacking was possibly hairball until a couple days after hacking started, she fainted. Symptoms upon hospital admission: thrombocytopenia, mild pleural and abdominal effusion, neutrophilia, mildly elevated liver enzymes, azotemia, dyspnea-hemoptysis-epistaxis, facial swelling and Bloody black tar stools.

Finally, symptoms escalated, became more lethargic, nearly unresponsive, and coughing up blood. We were on the verge of transferring her to another clinic to try a hyperbaric chamber, before coughing up blood, but vet questioned if she would survive the transfer. I was willing to sell the moon and the stars to save her but once she began coughing up blood the vet said it was from the lungs... We had to let her go. We lost her 10/10/18. They did put her on 1000 mg of taurine and 1000 mg L-carnitine, which I know is along the lines of this whole “grain free” issue. Please check your dogs blood work if on this or any grain free food. Find a supplement to add if you don’t change foods.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I have 2 dogs, a 10 yo and a 2 yo. They have both been eating Nutro Small Bites Lamb and Rice. The 10 yo has been on Nutro for many years. They both threw up yellow bile 4 days ago and they both suffered loss of motor function. After finding this site, with others having similar experiences with Nutro, we switched their food. The 2 yo bounced back immediately. It took the 10 yo 72 hours to get most of his motor function back. We will not feed them Nutro ever again!!!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

We fed our dog Nutro dry dog food since she was a pup. Normally purchased the food at Petsmart. In November of 2018 I discovered that Walmart started carrying the same food, still branded Nutro in the exact same bag, for several dollars cheaper. Those of you that know Nutro realize this food is not cheap. Within a week my dog started getting sick - at that time we did not suspect that it was the food. She continued to eat it and became sicker. With Vets input we changed food and there was much improvement in her BM - from water to a paste. Later discovered it was in fact the Nutro HOWEVER we caught it too late (please mind that this dog was taken to the vet on a regular basis and no illness was ever ignored, or treatment postponed).

Tried to contact Nutro without any response whatsoever. I did learn that they changed the contents of the food when they went for the mass market Walmart appeal to lower their production cost. Stay away fro this brand and this company. They don't care two ** about animals not even to the point of responding to assist you in saving your dogs life. Had I been able to find out what changed, we would have been able to treat her for the poison they package! Instead of petting my 3 year old Rottie, I now get to look at the urn in which she is placed. May she rest in peace and Nutro go down in flames!!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

These treats gave all 3 of my dogs food poisoning, one of them almost died. This company will not respond to anything about this experience and denied this experience even after I provided them with the vet bill/notes showing that they had food poisoning. Do not buy these treats. Their treats have been recalled in the past. These treats are dangerous!!!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

We have a 10-year old Pomeranian. He has been on Nutro for about 8-years now and he really loves it! We get the Nutro Max Grain Free Mini Chunks (great for small dogs!) and the senior Hearty Stews wet food. He does great on this diet and has lots of energy and excellent fur coat. When our vet let us know to switch him over to senior food we could not find the mini-chunks in senior. Turns out they do not produce this. Our vet stated it would be OK to keep him on the adult mini-chunks but to switch his wet food to the senior option. This seems to work fine. I would recommend to Nutro to make all of their wonderful dry foods with a mini-chunk size for those of us with smaller dogs.

Nutro Dog Food Company Information