2. Pets
  3. Pet Stores

Shop Now
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.46/5

Chewy is an online pet supply retailer that offers a wide variety of foods, treats, supplies, and medicines. Customers can purchase goods for a wide variety of pets ranging from dogs and cats to horses and reptiles. The company provides access to over 2000 brands and has many convenience features such as autoship and 24/7 customer service.

Customer orders are fulfilled directly - without the help of other partners or resellers. This allows them to send only quality product. In addition to pet food and essential products for your pet, Chewy is a licensed and accredited Pharmacy, making them a one-stop shop for all your pet needs.

Chewy is also committed to giving back by supporting non-profit organizations that assist animals in need through Chewy’s Rescue and Shelter Network.

Chewy.com Shop Now

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Chewy.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chewy.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chewy.com?

Original review: July 8, 2020

I have been ordering from Chewy.com for nearly a year for our dog Foster and have always been pleased. This past Saturday on July 4, it was apparent he was not well. He was old and had been diagnosed with Liver cancer as well as suffering from arthritis. We knew this day was close but still were absolutely heartbroken to realize the only loving and compassionate thing was to let him go so we did. He was tired and I truly believe he was gone before the final injection. We miss him more than I can even begin to put into words.

I had received an order of prescription dog food from Chewy.com the day before and had not opened the packaging yet. My order had been a bit over $80.00 so I was hoping I could return it. Chewy.com said not to worry about returning the food and refunded not only that order but also the previous order from June!! I was stunned when I saw my banking the next day. I told Natalia at Chewy that I would donate the food to a shelter and found a rescue group that is also an old dog sanctuary that I will be donating the food to as well as various items of our sweet Foster. I was so impressed and had posted this experience to Facebook and had several friends mention that they were going to start ordering from Chewy after hearing about my experience.

That went beyond my expectations. Well today a beautiful bouquet of sunflowers and a sweet sympathy card arrived and my husband and I were absolutely stunned at the thoughtfulness and compassion of Natalia and Chewy.com. I have had dogs and cats my whole life and have loved each of them but there was something a bit more special about Foster. Maybe because I am older and was able to spend more time with him but we adored that dog and this has been a tough week for us. I again went on Facebook and sang my praises for this wonderful company that went beyond what I ever could have expected. I cannot imagine buying my pets food and supplies anywhere else. I am forever touched and grateful. As long as I have pets (we also have 3 rescue kitties) I will be a customer. Chewy.com is the best!!!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

I buy a LOT of cat food - my Chewy orders are over $100 each week and I've been buying from them for a few years now so I wanted to leave a general review (not product specific) and alert people to their excellent customer service. I have auto-ship for myself and my elderly neighbor across the street (2 separate auto-ships set up which is nice) and about a year ago we were having issues with damaged shipments. All it took every time was a call to Chewy customer service and the problem was fixed. They would send out replacement cases for the damaged packages with no hassle at all. I would have gladly sent a picture to prove what I was referring to but they never asked. That problem seems to be handled as we have not received any damaged in quite some time.

But they also will send you replacements if there is something wrong with the food otherwise. Case in point, one of the varieties I have bought for years now is Fancy Feast Chunky Chicken (pate). Never a problem...until recently I ordered 3 cases along with other foods, and all 3 cases had a different texture to the food (like a mousse & chunks rather than pate ground & chunks). Cats were turned off but I've sprinkled FortiFlora on it or put a few treats on top and they'll eat it. I phoned the manufacturer who assured me they have not changed their formula, and there had been no issues, so then I felt better and understand maybe something went wrong in the mixing with my batch...

So I called Chewy and explained the issue, the CSR took down all the information I gave her about the consistency of the food, and I offered to provide her the date, time, and name of the lady I'd talked with at Purina, however she said, "no that's alright", and she was sending me out replacement cases for my previous order.

Unbelievably excellent customer service, every time I have to call them. They are wonderful and you get your orders super-fast normally by the next day or at least the day after that. Amazing to say the least. I used to go to Petco all the time or PetSmart, and now I get to have it delivered to my home, anytime I want, and it is SO convenient. I think many people do not call them if there is an issue, and then they just complain and give them bad reviews both on their site and elsewhere, which is unfair. Give them a call so they can help and make it right. I give them a 5-star rating!!!

Get buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I am a young adult, therefore it is rare I go to companies for specific customer service, rather just to get something. It's pleasant when I receive good customer service but for the most part if I need something it doesn't matter how I get it. I am the proud owner of my very first dog (by myself, the other dogs were family dogs) and I was nervous about giving her everything she deserves. My parents have always raved about getting stuff online at Chewy, but I genuinely despise ordering/shopping online for anything because I can't see it or touch it before purchasing and it takes so long to get to me - I have a thing for instant gratification. My doberman pinscher rottweiler has a very sensitive digestive system so I needed to order special food for her, so I went to chewy's website so I could get a discount on autoship. After creating a portal I put in all of my girl's info like birthdate and even a picture of her.

Any time I called chewy I was greeted by the most friendly, positive, upbeat and authentic people I have ever been on the phone with, and it seriously made the rest of my day better. After a while I canceled the autoship so I no longer went to the website, however a few months ago was my birthday. I received something in the mail from chewy and I was confused because I didn't order anything, and all of my close loved ones swore they didn't order me/my dog anything for my birthday. I open it up and it is the most beautiful and realistic hand painted portrait of my dog and a sweet handwritten card saying that the chewy family hopes I enjoy the painting and have a good birthday.

I am not being dramatic here - I was in tears. This was such a small thing that such a large company did not need to do but they went out of their way for one single customer. It wasn't a discount or a free toy or some computer generated message. They put in time, effort and money for me. I was shook and elated. I framed it and put it on my wall, and I will keep it forever.

Fast forward and now it's my dog's birthday this Sunday. I checked my mailbox and sure enough chewy had handwritten a card for her saying happy birthday. These little things are just so big to me and are so special. I have never experienced a company like this one. Y'all are too good. When shopping or needing something for a pet, so dear to our hearts and families, it is crucial to get the right stuff and the best stuff. Like I said at the beginning of what is now a short essay, if you need something, it doesn't matter how a company behaves (for the most part) you will get it. So having chewy make buying things for our fur babies pleasant, easy and fun is monumental. Thank you so much chewy. I will always support and shop with you.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I am a new customer to Chewy.com and this is how they treated me; I bought from them a case of vet prescription food for my sick 18yo cat. I’ve been trying to keep him alive so the vets could figure out what was wrong with him. He went from 27lbs to 8lbs in just a few years. No diet change. Hungry as ever, just was losing weight. Blood tests showed normal. With my first Chewy order, they sent me an email wanting to know all about my two cats. No i letters. Just caring emails from the employees. Then I had to return one order because I thought the cans would be smaller. They refunded me the cost of the food and instead of returning it, they suggested I could donate it to a shelter. Nice. But back to my sick cat and how Chewy turned everything around for me..

When I received that last order of the script cat food, my Lucky was too far gone and I had to put him to sleep. I wrote to Chewy and told them I’d be glad to send the food back as it was still in the box, unopened. Again, they refunded me the cost and suggested donating the food. But what they did the next day is really why I’m writing this review. I had a knock on my door and buried in my bed, I contemplated not answering it, but I live with my bedridden mother so it may have been an in home caregiver. Wasn’t that. A lady stood at my doorstep holding a very beautiful flower arrangement. I figured it was for mom, but she asked if I was Nancy. “Yes”, I said, quizzically. “These are for you.” How sweet. I figured they were for my loss of Lucky from a friend or family member. Again, wasn’t that.

There was a handwritten card: “We’re so sorry to hear of your loss of Lucky and our hearts go out to you. We know this time is tough and we’re always here if you need anything. Love, Jeremy, Chewy.com" Of this day and age of form letters and telephone recordings, it was not only a breath of fresh air. It was to me, a lifeline. As I took the flowers to my room, I sat them on the table in my eye line from the bed where I promptly got back in. With the covers over my head, I peered out to look at the flowers and a thought jumped in my head.

Here are people in a company that cares about people. They get up every day and go to work so they can bring joy to others that may need it more than they know. Regardless of what’s going on in their life, they’re here, thinking of my pain and reaching out in the most beautiful way. If they can do it. So can I. I got out of bed and got ready for the day. Before leaving to go to some animal shelters and get me a pet I could pour all my extra love on, I took one long look at the flowers and note, and because it’s not so heavy now, gathered up my pain to take with me and started my day. Thank you Chewy. You’ve helped me more than you know. I went into a depression and just stayed in bed for awhile.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

Chewy.com has earned a forever customer in me. I am afraid that I cannot explain well enough the customer service experience I had with George, when I opened a chat with him to ask about the shelf life of Iam's Large Breed dog food. You see, I have two large breed dogs... an 8 year old great dane named Max, and a 6 year old American bully, Lexi. I have been, for years, subscribed to Chewy.com's auto-ship program, and every four weeks have two of their 30-40lb bags shipped. They come in, we dump them into the easy scooping bins. Two bags last about a month for both dogs. Usually.

Well, early December 2019 Max developed a knot or what I was hoping a cyst on this front right ankle/leg. A week later it had doubled in size. I took him to the vet and was given the worst news. It's bone cancer. A very aggressive bone cancer that was not effectively treated without compromising quality of life. I was told I had weeks before I should seriously consider "helping him along". The longer I waited, the bigger a risk of that leg breaking... it being a front leg on a Dane, a break would be catastrophic for all of us, most of all Max.

I pushed for more time. Max was doing ok with this pain meds... but after a couple of weeks his decline was noticeable. He was hardly eating, his lump was growing daily and starting to protrude out of the back side of his leg. I knew the cancer had spread through the leg bone from one side to the other. He was barely getting himself up off his couch and the worry of a break was constant. On 12/31/19 we made the decision and said goodbye. I am not new to putting suffering animals down, but putting Max down when he still had a wag in his tail was not only heartbreaking, but felt morally wrong to me. I was so concerned with my conflicting feelings and mourning, that I forgot about all of the food that was on auto-delivery.

Couple days later, I received my shipment. Two new 30lb bags of food. Hubs did as he normally would. Emptied both bags in the scoop bins and burned the trash. It wasn't until yesterday that I even thought about the excess food. I opened a chat with George at Chewy.com and inquired about the shelf life of this particular brand. I didn't want it to go bad. It would take MONTHS for Lexi to eat 3 - 30lb bags of food. All of which were taken out of the bag already. George informed me there was a shelf life, and then did the unexpected. He offered to refund me for three bags. No questions asked, no taking no for an answer. He expressed his condolences and told me that I had enough to deal with and not to worry about the food.

I promised that I would donate wherever would allow for opened containers and thanked him from all of us! Then, when I got home from work tonight... I found a beautiful bouquet of flowers from George and Chewy.com, who sent their love and sympathy for our loss. BEST. PEOPLE. EVER. I <3 CHEWY FOREVER. Thank you George, and Chewy.com. From the bottom of my heart!

Jo G. - Mt. Holly, NC

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

As I always order by phone because I am not tech savvy I placed my order with Mariza. Was telling him how I lost my cat of 17 years. He was very sympathetic. After helping me set up an account he wished me a Happy Thanksgiving and we hung up. The next morning on my front door was the most beautiful flowers and a note saying sorry for my loss. What an act of KINDNESS and let Chewy know that this person went above and beyond the call of duty. I will put a SHOUT OUT on FB to him and chewy for taking the time to care about their customers. Again THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart. MD ** Carmel In

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

My cat died last week. In the midst of my grief, one of my tasks was to cancel my shipments for my cat. I had also recently received a shipment that I couldn't use. When I called, they refunded the whole shipment without asking me to return the product. Then, today, I received a bouquet of flowers from them. They have definitely earned my loyalty and recommendation.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

I ordered 9 items to assist in setting up another aquarium. They threw all the items in a large box WITH NO INTERNAL PROTECTION like paper/foam peanuts/bubble wrap-NO SHIPPING PROTECTION from the ITEMS be bounced around during shipment. Maybe they think I didn't deserve good packaging as I used a coupon they sent me unsolicited. Now I wonder if the electronic parts of my order will function correctly or be short lived, not to mention that a 5 lb. jar of Charcoal was in there to bounce around and beat up everything else. In my 50 Years of Aquatics, This was by far the WORST packaging Or should I call it no packaging protection! UGH.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

As a two year customer always pleased with the results - no longer. Orders that took 3 to 4 days now take at least 14. I ordered dog food 11/5/20 - it hasn’t arrived and delivery is scheduled 11/19/20??? I will support my local pet store from here on. Chewy uses Fedex who then subcontracts with a much slower provider - On Trac... Anything they deliver I cancel - totally unreliable.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2020

I had ordered several Chinchilla products, 10 days later my 18 year old Chinchilla Jackie passed away. I thought no problem, I have Avalanche, he will enjoy the product. Well 2 days ago he passed away also at the age of 16, I called Chewy to see if I could return the product. They told me no need to return the product, they gave me my money back, they told me to give it to a rescue. I am sending the product to a Chinchilla rescue in Wilmington, il. Today! to my surprise I received a beautiful arrangement of an assortment of roses with a sympathy card. Thank you Chewy for caring.

Chewy.com Company Information