3.67/5

Looking for a pet store?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

796 Chewy.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I have ordered a few times from Chewy, it's always been super fast shipping. After my last order I received a package from Chewy. I was like, "Hmmm, what is this?" They sent me a personalized, handwritten, NOT generic, card thanking me for my business AND a commissioned 6x6 original painting of my Doberman, not any generic dobe, but one of a picture I have posted online. Wow, what a surprise. I love Chewy, not just for their fast shipping but their personalized style of business.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I decided to give Chewy.com a try when I bought a new puppy. They had an exercise pen I wanted that was $79 in Petco but $25 on their website. So I placed an order for the pen and two other items. The very next day two of the items were delivered. I was blown away by the super fast shipment and delivery process. But when I checked my email, I saw that the last item wouldn't be delivered for 7 more days.

Out of curiosity, I messaged Chewy on Facebook to inquire about the different shipment times. They immediately responded, checked into my order within 10 minutes and then refunded my money and told me to keep the item when it arrived! Apparently the delay was weather related and the warehouse closest to me didn't have the item I wanted in stock. Not Chewy's fault. However, they expressed concern for my pup not having his necessities and wanted to make it right. The rep even asked for pics of my baby and gushed over him. I will do all pet related business with them. Thanks Chewy! I'm blown away by the 5 star stellar service!

Get expert buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

We have three dogs and two cats now, and a few days ago we bought a special puppy, who requires special care and supplies, so we asked around and read reviews and decided to go with Chewy for our dog care and training supplies. I work 3rd shift, so I made my order, around $250. Order, for a new collar, leash, bowls, training leashes, lines, and a kennel. I paid online with a debit card, I work 3rd and sleep during the day. Order was completed. Three days later I see an email from Chewy, that I needed to call them about my order... I called, And WAS TOLD MY ORDER WAS CANCELLED, I ASKED WHY, ALL THEY SAID WAS BECAUSE I DIDN'T RESPOND TO THEM WITHIN 48 HOURS!!!

THANKS A LOT FOR NOTHING...THEY HAD MY Money AND cancelled MY ORDER, without even calling to talk with me. I STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT PROBLEM THEY HAD, and I was told it would be 24-48 hours before my money could be refunded. I was furious, and very Disappointed. I spent hours making up my order, and do think they have good supplies and prices, but I WILL NEVER use them again... Someone else will get my business. Chewy lost out on a lot of money over time. I lost what I had THOUGHT was a great online supply. Sad and disappointed??? Still waiting on my money to be refunded.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I'm still a little stunned, but I was on Chewy inquiring (by chat) with the Customer Service Rep about exchanging some cat food, chicken flavor, for the same cat food, turkey flavor. (My cats may be allergic.) Instead of exchanging or returning, the rep gave me a refund and asked that the cans of chicken flavor be donated to a local shelter. How cool is that? I liked Chewy anyway because of the low prices but this makes them even better.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I have used Chewy for all my dogs' food and supplies for several years. I recently started to use the Chewy pharmacy for their Heartguard and flea meds. I placed my order and then one of my dogs took a turn for the worse and passed away. The next day I received her meds. I called and asked if I was able to return the product since she passed away. The first words out of the customer service representative was condolences. He immediately processed a refund and told me to donate the product to a rescue, which I did. Four days later I received a bouquet of flowers with a sympathy note from Chewy. Amazing guest service and concern!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chewy.com?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Well I ordered after couple of questions the Musher’s secret wax for my dogs. That product is great and it definitely matches what they told me. About a month after I received a cute postcard from them. I can’t show you the pictures but it says: "Welcome to Chewy, Jean-Baptiste! I hope the Musher’s secret wax works well. We’re here 24/7 to lend a paw! - Aneysha <3" That was really sweet and I appreciate that!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Started using Chewy a couple months ago, as the tractor supply that sells my dog food is a one hour round trip drive for me. Chewy is about $10 more expensive, even with their 5% autoship discount, but I didn't have to worry about making the drive. I received an email on 2/11 stating that my 30 pound bag of dog food was no longer available and they were replacing it with a 28 pound bag of the same kind to ensure my order was received on time. They charged my card for the 30 pound bag and I never received anything. Currently awaiting a response from their customer service department. I would not recommend the use of this site to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I needed to return leashes I ordered. When I called customer service they answered right away, refunded full amount and told me to donate the leashes to a local animal shelter. He then helped me order the correct ones I had wanted. The customer service representative was friendly, courteous and helpful. Will be buying all of my pet supplies from them.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I ordered food for my ferret, opened the bag and had her try it and she didn’t like it. So I called customer service to see if I could return the item. Not only did they give me ** refund no questions asked. But they also told me to donate the bag of food to ** local shelter! Great company and awesome customer service!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Chewy.com is a great company. I just lost my two fur babies in a four month time span, they were 18 and 19. I emailed customer service and said I needed to cancel my autoship because my pups had passed, they emailed me right away with a great condolence letter and then a week later I had a beautiful bouquet of flowers sent to my home. Brightened my day, great customer service during my sad days without my companions! Thank you Chewy, I will be back soon, there will be a new fur baby soon!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Chewy won't do business with you if you try to pay for your order with a gift card. I first tried to place an order on February 8, 2019. The thank you screen informed me my order had been accepted. The next day, I receive an email that my order had been canceled. I called to find out why and was informed the issue was with my gift card. "We just needed you to call to verify some things." is what the customer service rep told me over the phone.

What? I was told I had to wait 24 hours before I could call them again to resolve the issue. Why can't I do it right now? No explanation. I attempted to place my order today. The card is outright declined. Call customer service and Dixie called over his supervisor who told him I can use a gift card as long as it's Visa or MasterCard (It is) but the address has to match. What address? It's a GIFT CARD. They then tell me to call the gift card company to ask them how to resolve this, and "We'll wait for you to do that." The gift card company is completely automated, no customer service.

I call Chewy again and get Jocelyn, who calls me back because my phone connection was bad. She calls me back and I try to explain the problem and she hangs up on me. I call a third time and get Beth who informs me I have no order with them. So the outcome is don't use a gift card with Chewy even when they tell you they accept gift cards. They don't. Find another store to buy your pet supplies. Chewy doesn't want your business.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

This company goes above and beyond for their customers/pet owners. I've never experienced such a caring compassionate company like Chewy.com. I will forever be a loyal customer. Thanks again Chewy for EVERYTHING. You all are truly AWESOME???

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I've been a customer of Chewy.com for 2 years. The service was wonderful for the first year. More recently though the shipments have arrived with damaged contents. The items - litter, cases of canned food, dry food- are tossed into a box with no filler and the litter bag isn't wrapped. I've now had 3 shipments with torn litter bags and messes from the litter dribbling out of the box. The litter is thrown on top of the cans and rips. I've also had the bags of dry food smashed from the cases of wet food. And I've had the cans smashed and leaking.

Is some of this due to FedEx? Maybe. But when the litter bag isn't wrapped (I've seen other companies do this to prevent ripping) and there isn't any filler so the items roll around I have to mostly fault the Chewy shippers. Every time I have a damaged shipment, Chewy customer service promises that the next shipment will be packaged appropriately. Not so. I'd love to stick with Chewy as I know they are aware of their shipper problems and (maybe) trying to rectify the problems but there are other pet supply delivery companies.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I always thought Chewy.com was the be all and end all pet food company. The top in customer service that all companies should model themselves after. Unbelievable speedy delivery service. However, something must have changed with their shipping/delivery department within the last few months. Now when I place an order it takes longer than usual, plus the shipping estimates are wrong. I placed an order on the 2/8 and tracking told me I would receive it on 2/11 Monday. I did not receive it on the 11th so I checked tracking. Tracking showed a delivery date now for the 12th. My dogs were out of their kibble and did not want to switch them to another brand locally purchased.

I called customer service and a man told me that they do not deliver on Mondays. Why not, doesn't FedEx work on Mondays? How bizarre is that? In the past I would receive my shipment in 1 business day if ordered in the morning, I think Chewy was acquired by another company, thus the sudden change in service. I still love Chewy but they should advise customers, who purchase from them on a consistent basis, that delivery will take longer than prior to 2019. I've been spoiled by Chewy.com in the past, and now will have to adjust my ordering schedule. All good things do come to an end.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I have been a customer for about a year now, mostly purchasing a 9 lb bag of Oxbow Western Timothy hay, for my rabbit, every 2 months. Shipping is always on time, I get what I asked for, no problems. The most recent bag was not of the normal quality - a lot of dead, brown, shriveled hay - and my rabbit was only eating half of it, if that. I called the customer service line, where I was connected within seconds. A very friendly voice answered the phone and listened to my issue. She offered a full refund, and I asked if we could just get another bag. She said no problem, and placed the order right away! The whole thing took 4 minutes tops! I am very pleased! Thanks Melanie! FYI: I don’t blame Chewy for the bad hay - they obviously don’t make or bag the hay! So it makes their actions all the more impressive to me!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I had a standing automatic order for doggie diapers for our Maltese/Bichon mix. We had to put him down so I called to cancel future shipments. They immediately said they will refund the entire cost of our last shipment even before I could ask if I could return the unopened packages for refund. We always got the shipments on time. Best customer service I've experienced. Also the price was about half of the same quality product than at Pet Smart, and no shipping charges. I highly recommend this company!!!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Hi, I have always been Leary of online shopping but Chewy.com is GREAT. My dogs are very spoiled and will only eat USA treat (my doing). But the treats from China are scary. Do some research. I saved $4.00 per bag on Milo's treats. And the other treats chicken & sweet potato jerky about $1.24 per bag. True Chews about $2.39 a bag. Told you they are spoiled. Usually 2 day shipping. But order ahead of time if you are running low. FedEx driver could run off the road or lose your package. Think ahead. Love this company ❤️ and my boys are thrilled too. Thanks to all at Chewy!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I had seen the commercials for Chewy and they say they offer free shipping if you spend over $45. Great. When you go to Chewy.com website it says you will receive it in 1-2 days. Great again. NOT great. After they debited the money from my account, they said it shipped. It shipped on the 8th and now I get a message I won't get it until the 12th. I may not be too good at math but that is NOT 2 days. My dogs will be out of food in 4 days. I ONLY ordered based on the max 2 days delivery.

When I contacted Chewy they basically said they don't control their own shipping. They let FedEx and other shippers determine the shipping times. They also went into some song and dance that they don't control if it comes out of their Pheonix or Nevada warehouse. One creates longer shipping times. I don't care. Not my problem. Get your business together. Umm... The shippers control your company? NOT acceptable. They said that FedEx home doesn't deliver on Sundays or Mondays. Again. NO mention of that on their website. They then offered to wait for Fedex to ship it back to them and ONLY then could they return my money. Umm... no again.

At this point, I'm sure I would never see my refund and they would blame it on the shippers again. Pathetic. Buyer beware, they will scam and lie to you to get your business and then you and your fur babies are on their own. Unethical company or at the very least extremely unprofessional and uncaring about their customers. Fool me once, shame on you. I won't be fooled twice!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Recently the website was out of stock of the 5.5 oz cat food cans that we usually buy, so I bought the larger cans of the same food instead. The cats would NOT eat the replacement at all, even though it's the same exact food. It only took a 2-minute phone call to receive a full refund, and the rep told me to donate the leftover cans to charity! I was then able to order the food in the proper cans immediately, as it was back in stock. It took only a day to arrive!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I just have to write this review. Chewy is a fantastic company. They go an extra mile to provide an outstanding customer service. They refunded my entire order no questions asked and didn't ask to ship anything back! I was just offered to donate the goods to my local shelter instead, if I didn't want to keep it. I was blown away. Plus my boxes always get delivered sooo fast. There is no reason for me to shop anywhere else.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Just wanted to shout out the great customer service online at Chewy.com. I ordered a pet harness for my puppy as he is disabled and cannot use his hind legs to walk and we thought this might help. I ordered a medium size and got it and it was too big and actually didnt work well anyway. I did online chat with a rep named Mesiyah to find out how to send it back. She instantly gave me a 47.66 credit on my Visa and said I don't need to return it and please donate to a local shelter if I can. I will do that, but just wanted the public to know what great customer service they have. I will always buy from Chewy.com

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

My beloved furbaby passed away. I had just received a new bag of dog food two days prior and I had not even opened the box yet. I contacted Chewy to see if I could return it for credit. They told me they would refund the entire order and to donate the food to a shelter or rescue group. They also cancelled all my autoships I had as well. They expressed their sympathy and I felt they meant it. 5 days later I received a bouquet of roses from Chewy with a sympathy note signed by the person I had spoken with. Talk about a company that cares for their customers! This is it. I will be singing their praises to everyone I can.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

This is the best website I could’ve found. If you’re an animal lover and want to find affordable things for your animal then this is the place. I’ve ordered endless amount of things for puppy off this website. Lily is an Amstaff, so she tears thru everything. I’ve found toys, beds, everything for her on this website. I recently order a bed for her crate and it’s just perfect. I love Chewy.com it makes my life and my dog's life much easier.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I placed an order on the 28th of January 2019. I waited for the order to come in but never received it. I texted the company website and they told me my order was cancelled and my account was closed. They said I would have to call them for further information so I did. They said that because it was my first order they would have to confirm it with me by the e-mail that they sent but the problem was they never sent an e-mail about this. I have never experienced a company needing more than your money to purchase a product. I was treated very poorly and I believe unfairly. That being the case for me I will NEVER EVER use Chewy.com again and I will let everyone I work with and the people that I know what happened. Stay away. There are too many people to purchase the same products from.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I had a case of Wellness Core that arrived crushed, they sent me a new case, once, my dog didn't like the food I chose, they told me they would take it back. The customer service gals are over the top friendly and sound like that really care about the customer and the pet. I love the policies, I love the products and I love the price of the Auto Ship training pads.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I have been ordering from Chewy.com for a few months and have been very pleased with their service and fast delivery. I even left a review on one of their products that was not working for my dog and they gave me a refund without even being asked. I have had nothing but a great experience with this company and plan to continue to use them when ordering products for my dog.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Chewy.com guarantees 100% satisfaction. They also claim to have free one or two day shipping on orders over $49. Neither of these claims/guarantees are true. I placed an order two days ago, expecting it to arrive today. I looked online at the status of the order and found that it was still "preparing for shipment." I contacted Chewy.com to find out why my order was still preparing for shipment and they said there is an issue with an auto ship discount so they haven't processed my order.

They never bothered to call me, send an email, put a note on my account, or make any contact. All I have heard from them is "I am sorry no notification was sent. I will research this." I do not have my products and now have cancelled the order. Since being taken over by PetSmart, I have received expired products, shipping delays, terrible customer service, and prices have greatly increased. I am not a satisfied customer and would not recommend chewy.com to anyone, and I always did in the past.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I have two, humongous dogs, and started using Chewy several years ago after finding the best prices on premium dog foods and more. Since then along with food, I have purchased everything from leashes and harnesses to raised dog bowls, vitamins and more. No online service is perfect - I won a service business, and I know that, try as one might, NO service is perfect all the time. But what's remarkable and appreciated is that, when something goes awry with an order, Chewy not only fixes it fast and without a hassle, but their turnaround to get the right products into my hands is pretty mind-blowing.

Kudos to Chewy! The other thing that is MUCH appreciated is the fact that, when I call, a real, live human being answers (almost immediately) and gets right into my need or problem - no voice-activated phone stress that can't understand me or that require me to yell for a representative 15 times before they give me over to a live body. Chewy... I'm really impressed!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I had a horrible experience dealing with Chewy's customer service team. I can only receive mail at a PO Box, which they refuse to ship to, or at my office. Though companies other than USPS can deliver to my office, they are unable to guarantee that the item would arrive during business hours. It's a huge hassle to have an item fail to be delivered, be bounced back to the company, and have to fight for a refund! I highly, highly recommend shopping elsewhere.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I placed an order through Chewy.com for 102.50 as my first experience with Chewy.com. Immediately a charge was authorized for 103.48. Not a huge deal, but this is not what I spent so I was a little confused but decided to let it go. My order was then placed on hold, forcing me to call the company. The representative tells me that they "changed an item number" and that she would remove the hold. Then I receive ANOTHER charge on my card for $52.14 which nearly put my card in overdraft as this is the same card I was using to pay bills with. So now I have two debits that have left my card, neither of which are the amount I actually paid. I call the company. I am told that when things are shipped separately sometimes the card is debited as things leave the warehouse and that it should come back in 24 hours.

Keep in mind that I do a LOT of online shopping and have never, ever, had a company charge so many debits for my order! Walmart, Jet, and Amazon just to name a few will charge you what you SPENT and that is all. Another $50 debit, and four days later, the original "hold" that was taken is credited back to my card. Two emails and several useless apologies later, and I am never using this company again. I shop for my pets constantly, and was loving the autoship idea as I buy food for my dog roughly every two weeks. I have never had such an awful experience with a company before, and I will definitely be returning my business to Jet.com or Amazon from now on.

Chewy.com Company Information