Chewy.com

Compare Pet Stores

Research top Pet Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I could go on and on about how responsive the folks at Chewy.com have been to every issue I've brought to them, but it would fill a book. We have two dogs and a cat. One dog and the cat are on veterinary-prescribed diets. Not only are Chewy.com's prices very competitive, but they ship within hours of order placement, ship at no cost, and the shipments arrive in one day. I recently purchased an $85 order of Rx food for the cat. The very day it arrived, the cat was at the vet with a new medical issue, requiring a change of diet, meaning the shipment just received could no longer be used.

Contacted Chewy.com to ask if I could return it. Yes, no problem. Asked if they could estimate how much it would cost to ship it back to them, because if the cost was too great, I'd just donate the food to a local animal shelter or rescue organization instead. They told me, first, they would NEVER let me pay for return shipping, they'd pay for it. Then, second, they suggested I just donate the unopened package of food to our pet shelter, not return it at all, and they'd credit the full cost of the purchase back to my credit card. Which they DID. I was stunned. They ate the $85 cost of this shipment, and asked me to donate it. Unbelievable.

Then we had issues with the vet not properly confirming the new Rx for the new feline diet, plus another Rx at the same time for the canine diet, and Chewy.com called the vet themselves to verify the Rx in both cases, two separate times, so that I didn't have to bother with it. They called back within 5 minutes each time to say they had the vet's approval, the shipment was on the way, the shipments arrived the next day. Just tell me where you can find such incredible attention to customer needs. Anywhere.

I am so used to dealing with customer service representatives who are not helpful, make excuses, don't know what they're talking about, don't know their own company's policies, can't follow through on anything -- and then there's Chewy.com, where every single issue is quickly resolved, courteously attended to, with humor and good grace and care and concern. FOR THE PETS, most of all. I will always turn to Chewy.com for purchases when possible. They are and will be my FIRST CHOICE.

Also, I have a very close friend who began using Chewy.com after I told her about them... She RAVES about the customer service, and thanks me all the time for telling her about them. This is one professional outfit and I would urge anyone and everyone to give them a try. 100%. I see some of these negative or "not so good" reviews of Chewy.com and I must tell you, after dealing with them for a couple years now, I do not believe one word of what these reviewers write. Only because I have had a 100% positive experience, no exceptions, with Chewy.com from the first day. I'm sorry. They can't be treating me this well and have it be an anomaly. This IS who they are, and they deserve credit for it, and they deserve our patronage.

I frequent the Dog Food Advisor website which is like the Consumer Reports of dog food. Chewy sells many of the 5 star rated brands that you won't find at Petco, and for the ones that Petco does stock like Solid Gold or Blue Buffalo - Chewy sells it cheaper. I got 20% off a 24lb bag of Solid Gold for trying the autoship function (don't worry, you can delay autoship orders from happening indefinitely or remove it entirely, so just take advantage of the discount).

Then I made an ultimate discovery: American Journey. A 5 star rated brand apparently owned by Chewy, relatively new, and Chewy frequently offers you 50% off your first bag. So I put it in my cart and bought a 28lb bag of dog food for $20. Mind you, my orders always have the free shipping. Chewy estimates the $49 free shipping requirement BEFORE any sales are applied, so the American Journey original price of 39.99 plus 10 bucks of other items met the shipping requirement, ultimately paying 30 bucks for my dog food and miscellaneous treats or shampoo.

After I placed this order I noticed that if I check American Journey food products daily, one day (twice in the same week) Chewy randomly marked it on sale again for 50% off first bag, so I did it again. I got a 2nd bag of 28lbs dog food for 20 bucks. Hey if they want to keep selling me one bag at a time for 20 bucks, I will keep ordering when their mood strikes to put it on sale. This is the most economical dog food I have found without compromising quality. And if your dog is a picky eater, you can make them eat any dog food by coating in chicken broth or sprinkling kelp/seaweed etc.

Chewy allows me to shop smart for my animals and they eat the cost of FedEx shipping straight to my door. I've seen reviews on here regarding mishandled credit card info - hasn't happened to me yet and I'll keep an eye out. But so far so good as long as I always check out with $49 or more of product original price but I wait for stuff to come on sale and I don't pay that amount. Autoship can also be exploited for additional 10% off as long as you don't mind clicking in your phone to manage and put off future shipments indefinitely. Basically getting 60% off American Journey dog food.

I have had very good interactions with Chewy.com. They have a huge selection of dog food, including food that I would have to get directly from my vet (BIG $$$). Shipping is ok. It's no Amazon. But reasonable, as long as you plan ahead a little. Refund and return policy is stellar. The times I contacted customer service on chat (love that they have this option... I am not a phone person and hate waiting several days for return emails from other companies) they have been helpful and polite and very accommodating of my requests.

I ordered a bird cage for my daughter for Christmas & received it quickly. It was only 2 or 3 days before Christmas so I wrapped the box & put it under the tree without opening it. Once we did, we realized it had been damaged in shipping. I called the company expecting to be able to request the specific part that was cracked, since there was a parts list included in the box, but, with no questions asked, they said they would ship out another cage! I got it in 2 days! Absolutely incredible customer service! And after a couple of weeks, I received a hand-written post card, thanking me for my purchase & expressing their hope that I was enjoying my Vision II bird cage! What?! I've NEVER received a hand-written thank you from a company before! Ever.

I was so appreciative of the service I'd received, that when I recently purchased a pet bunny rabbit from my local pet store, I told them I only needed the bunny, no supplies, because I would be ordering everything I needed from Chewy! And I did. It's all on the truck for delivery today & I placed my order the day before yesterday. I got everything I needed for MUCH less than my local pet store had it priced. I am so thankful for this company, service, & variety of products they offer! I will be ordering again & again!

I was in the middle of placing an order and got called away. I couldn't find my order so I tried to find my password. I had difficulty and got called away again. I never completed either purchase. The next day my husband said two charges showed up on our credit card. I called and spoke with a nice man. He took off the charges but I was very concerned that they ran my credit card without my approval. He promised someone would call from that department to figure out what had happened. No one called. It's too bad. I liked the company but I feel nervous about ordering if they charge your card without authorization.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chewy.com?

This company automatically places an order when you add something to your cart. I couldn't get the 20% off. I called them & it doesn't apply to dog food. I told them I'm not going to order it, closed out their website and the order was placed anyway, even though I didn't hit the order button. Shawn just told me it's a glitch in their system. They had NO RIGHT to take it upon themselves to place this order without my confirming it. Now I sit here and wait for my $311.49 refund that was put on someone else's card who had used my account to order something in the past.

I am so happy I found Chewy online. I started with just my dog's food. At that time I was shopping at PetSmart and siding over ten dollars more pet bag. Everything went smoothly, after 2 months I decided to order my kitties' food. Once again everything smooth, plus saving money, not to mention the convenience.

Now after 1 year I order my Mastiff's and Standard Poodle's food, treats, antlers, specialty dental care products, plus toys and so much more on auto ship with no issues. Plus I have 2 sweet kitties that I order specialty litter, food, dental products, etc. Everything in auto ship, only one issue with shipment and they fixed it immediately. Love them!!

They have 1-2 day shipping posted all over their website for items over $49 to be automatically applied at checkout (they don't give you a shipping option). Ordered a $79 item only to find out they shipped it via the slowest snail mail possible. It took over a week for my item to arrive long after it was expected ruining the surprise gift it was going to be. Checked their website but there was no fine print or reasoning for the delayed shipment. After calling their customer service they had no justification for the delayed shipping other than it had to ship from a certain location. Never mind the fact they didn't even send the item via 3 day shipping or anything other than basic flat rate. The only reason this isn't a 1 star is because they gave back $10 for the item I ordered. Still reported them to the better business bureau as they are completely dishonest in their advertising.

Ordered 2 bags of Science Diet dog food, it shipped quick and no problems with that. They did double bill my debit card, one pre-auth and one debit, pre-auth still has 93 dollars of my locked and looks like Monday night before it will unlock so 4 days my 93 dollars will be tied up. Not happy about that, not the first time this has happened.

I recently moved. I went online and changed my address on the chewy.com website. It should be that simple right? It was not. After three days the delivery of food for my little yorkie Jack still had not arrived. I called the toll free number. I was told that they were so sorry, and that they would give me a $10 credit for the mix up. They also said that there were two different sites that I had to go to to change my delivery address! What??? I patiently took the time, talked to the lady, and updated my address. She explained that another delivery of food was being sent out right away. 4 days later? Still NO FOOD DELIVERY! I called again, only to be told that the order was mysteriously lost and they had no idea where Jack's dog food was. WOW!

Again, they apologized, and promised his food would be here by three days. Three days later? NO FOOD! I checked my email, and carefully looked at the tracking on the order, and guess what? THEY SENT IT TO THE OLD ADDRESS AGAIN!!! This time I was extremely frustrated. I called again. I expressed my displeasure with the whole experience, and even more disappointed that they just couldn't seem to get it right. I was told that they were very sorry and that they would be sending the order out AGAIN right away. I pressed for clarification on the delivery address. I was assured that the old address had been completely removed and that a new order of food was on the way. I guess it won't be until next week since this is a Friday. What a mess. I cannot confidently suggest that you use this company. They can't even get their delivery addresses correct!

I remember a strange time, the so-called 'good old days' when, in my ignorance, I paid more to do all the work myself. Happily, those days are gone for good! With 2 dogs of our own and a steady stream of fosters, I once felt as if I were at the pet store constantly, wincing at the prices and lugging 30 lb. bags of food. Now, I go to Chewy.com, find everything I need, and 2 days later the nice FedEx person carries the often 60-100lbs. of dog supplies right into my feed room (as you can see in the pic, one of my fur babies is patiently offering to help me unpack.)

Their website is clean, upfront, and easy, with time-savers like instant re-order and auto ship available. I've yet to search for something they didn't have, and best of all, I consistently pay less than pet store prices. The shipping of every order has been free, dependable, and super-fast. The time (and gas, and back strain) saving alone makes it worthwhile to me. I've never had an order that wasn't perfect, so I've never made use of their customer service dept., but I have no trouble believing others' accounts that it is friendly and efficient. A valuable service and a trustworthy company that I don't hesitate to recommend.

Chewy.com knows how to do customer service right! There was a minor problem with our autoship order (the first problem we've had in over two years of ordering from them). I called customer service at 7pm on a Sunday night yet was able to get to a live person immediately, and she completely resolved the issue in less than 3 minutes. No matter what company you use, simple mistakes will occasionally happen -- what matters is how the company handles that mistake, and Chewy.com handles it well.

I've had one other occasion to call customer service. I misread the ship date on my autoship order and thought we had missed a shipment. I realized my error while I was on the phone with the customer service agent, apologized, and told him there was no problem after all. He gave me a ten percent discount on my next order "for your trouble." This was 100% my mistake and not any issue caused by Chewy.com at all, yet he ended up giving me a discount. Very impressive customer service.

Auto ship NOW does not work. Got offered a 10% discount on the next order... when my dogs are out of food. Ridiculous. I can drive to the store and pick up the same food for about the same price. Thanks for nothing Chewy.

I am a comparison shopper and Chewy.com really does have great prices. Their shipping is fast. No more going to the store to try and load and unload a 50 lb bag of dog food. Auto Shipping is so easy to use. You can delete items, add items, change your shipping date, all hassle free. High quality products. I ordered a scented conditioner once that my cat and dog could not tolerate. I simply went on the website and chatted with them and within minutes had a refund, no hassle of shipping the item back, I donated it. Highly recommend their services from the outstanding prices, the very fast shipping, and the top notch customer service.

50+ pounds of products should be in more than 1 flimsy box that fell apart before delivery. I'm old. Had to get help. I live alone. Not always someone around. Snowing doesn't help. Just happy nothing was ruined. I will order again. My fur babies love everything. THANK you.

Great service! Can't say enough good things about Chewy.com. Their autoship program is stellar & very easy to use/modify. I bought some booties for my dog and they were too small. Instead of having to go through the hassle of packing them up and shipping them back, they simply shipped me a larger size. When my friend's aging dog passed away, she called to cancel her autoship. They sent her a bouquet of flowers w/ a sympathy card. Will continue to use & recommend to friends.

Easy returns, AMAZING pricing, Autoship is my cat's best friend. Every time I have an issue with Chewy.com, whether it is wanting a change in the type of food I am ordering or changing the date of my delivery, they are friendly and incredibly fast. My average wait time for a customer service associate is less than 1 minute, most times less than 30 seconds! I love this place and would recommend this retailer to anyone. They ship your food within 1-2 days and even go the distance of getting the food out to my cat when I was waiting for the prescription from my doctor.

Chewy I order filter for my fish tank Saturday Feb 5, came in next day. Sunday I did a quarter water change put new filters in etc. Monday get home from work noticed my clown loach was dead and my 2 goldfish weren't doing so good either. So I treat my tank with tetra lifeguard. Well it's now Wednesday and I've lost both my goldfish I have had for 7 yrs. I really upset my fish were fine and healthy. I will never order from there again. Only thing I can think of it was the filters (Fish filter penguin bio wheel 350).

This is the 3rd time I have had to contact Chewy regarding an issue with an item being damaged during shipment. Every single time I have called I have received excellent customer service. They make it so easy to resolve the issue and quickly replace the item at no cost. After ordering 2 cases of canned cat food I had to change my cat's food to a special diet for allergies. I called Chewy to see if I could return the cases and they credited me! Told me to give away the cans. I was able to donate them locally. I recommend this website to all pet owners.

So I ordered ** tablets from Chewy.com. The box arrived, and when I opened it, it was empty, nothing but the paper filling. I was about to contact Chewy.com, but I thought, maybe I should double check, just to be sure I wasn't missing it. Upon inspecting the box, my ** tablets, were semi taped to the outside of the box, no I'm not kidding. The box of course was completely crushed, and tablets destroyed. I have pictures of the box and how it was taped. I don't know what kind of operation they are running, but obviously this is unacceptable. This was only my second time ordering with them, but won't be ordering again, even if my money is refunded. I did give them 2 stars instead of one, because my first order did arrive, inside the shipping box.

I'm very impressed with the delivery service from Chewy.com. My Shetland dog Cali recently became ill from pancreatitis, and our vet recommended a low fat diet. So I went online to Chewy.com and ordered the Hills prescription diet with a prescription from our vet. She loved it and she got better. I like that I can order online and choose automatic delivery or even change the dates so they are convenient for me. The prices are reasonable and my package came by Fedex to my front door.

I shop online all the time, and without a doubt Chewy.com is the best company ever!!! I have 6 rescued dogs that are my family, they are a variety of ages and sizes, and have a variety of needs. I can find everything I need for them on Chewy.com, but that is not enough for a company, they also need to have GREAT customer service to satisfy my needs. Chewy.com goes above and beyond in every way possible. The people are so genuine, helpful, friendly, and caring. After over 30 years of doing rescue and working in the animal field I can honestly say Chewy.com is the very best!

The best company I've ever purchased from!!! I rescued my Great Dane mix 8 months ago and was tired of spending an astronomical amount of money on his food every month and not being able to find what I always needed for him in pet stores. I discovered Chewy.com a couple months after rescuing my dog Maverick. I was absolutely amazed and beyond impressed by the amount of things you can find on their website. There has not been one thing I couldn't find for my dog. I've enrolled in autoship to receive my dog's food and other items monthly. It is so convenient and my order is shipped and received very quickly. FedEx can be a bit frustrating from time but that is no fault on Chewy.com part.

I've only had to contact customer service once in the last 8 months and it had nothing to do with my order. I purchased the wrong size booties for my dog and was just calling to return them. The customer service was fantastic!!! He was super friendly and instead of me dealing with returning my item he offered for me to donate my booties and immediately refunded my money. I was blown away!! I donated my booties to a dog park. I have never before seen such exceptional customer service!! I will continue to order from Chewy.com as long as I have pets. I highly recommend them!!!

I've used Chewy to order prescription dog food for my senior yellow lab for a few years. I've always received my order promptly. The last order I made I traced the package (2-25 lb bags of dog food) and FedEx indicated it had been delivered. It had not and my husband was home on the supposed delivery date. I contacted FedEx who were very nice and thoughtful. I even received a call from someone at FedEx saying they were looking into the matter and I should hear from them in 2 days. Well, 2 days came and went and I heard nothing.

I decided to contact Chewy to see if they could help on their end. I contacted them through their online chat. Without missing a beat they said they were sending another order out to me. They also advised if I received the original order that I should keep the dog food or, if it was more than I needed, I could donate it. No additional charge to me beyond what I paid for the original order. That is what I call customer service. I've always been a huge fan of Chewy but they are top on my list for a lifetime. Thank you Chewy!

They're an awesome company. We have used Chewy.com for over a year now. This is one of the best companies we have ever dealt with. Great selection, great prices, fast shipping, order accuracy and a holiday card from Ryan and Michael (co-owners) every year. We wish more companies were this personal and caring of their customers.

I ordered two in stock items at 8 am on Thursday. One item arrived 2 days later but the second item, the one I really needed ASAP, arrived 6 days later. When contacted, Chewy tried to blame me for the delay saying I need to order sooner. When I provided all the details including FedEx report that the second item was shipped 3 days after the first, they had no answer except sorry. If you are ordering from Chewy because of the 1-2 day shipping... DON'T.

I love this website. Most things are significantly cheaper than the competition. They usually have free shipping over $50 and it never takes more than a day or 2 to arrive. I have found the quality just as good, if not better than Petco or PetSmart. How they stay in business so cheap I have no idea but as they stay that way, I will continue to shop there.

BEST DOG CHEW TOY COMPANY ON THE INTERNET - BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE. Megan ** was amazing, fast response, and she gave me a discount. Chewy.com has an excellent selection of chew toys for every dog size and breed all at very affordable prices. Saves us tons of money.

I have been using Chewy.com for about a year now. While they are convenient to get everything shipped in one order or two to your house, they are highly undependable. The one consistent thing about Chewy is that they are inconsistent. Cat litter comes with holes in it, spills in my house, things are delivered to my Leasing Office when they are supposed to come to my apartment building (due to my back and elbow injuries), they can't find things in transit, etc. Literally every time I place an order with them, there is SOME issue that I have to call and follow up on. Who's got time for that? It's never just dependable, which I wish it were. If there were another service I knew of, I would switch to them. For now, I'm stuck with Chewy, because I don't have a car, and my injuries make it impossible to carry heavy items. They are always nice in emails and phone calls, but still, it's maddening. Just saying.

This company is really nice to deal with. When I called with questions this morning, I got a rep on the 2nd ring. She was very courteous and was willing to work with me to set up auto-ship every 12 months for an additional 5% off halo & wellness cat food. She also told me that their stock sells out every 2 weeks so I wouldn't get stuck with old almost expired stock (like I did with PetFoodDirect). They also offered me free shipping and they don't charge California sales tax on online orders (unlike PetFoodDirect). When you get a company that goes out of its way to be helpful and offers the best pricing it doesn't make sense to even consider going anywhere else. Try them out, you & your pet will be very happy!

Chewy.com Company Profile