Chewy.com

Compare Pet Stores

Research top Pet Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Chewy.com is absolutely amazing. I have ordered at least 5 times in the past few months and love the prompt (and free) shipping. I accidentally ordered the incorrect cat food and quickly called to cancel my order. Customer service was quick to try and stop the shipment as well as credit my money back. The next day I saw that FedEx was still delivering the canceled goods and recontacted them and asked how I should return it and they told me to keep it and donate it to a local shelter. I couldn't believe it! I've never heard of a company doing that. I'm going to donate to a local nonprofit cat shelter where I adopted my pet. They will be thrilled to hear about this donation. Chewy.com is amazing!

I use this site every month to buy cat food, litter, dog food, toys, and treats. It's so easy to get to the $49 minimum for free 2 day shipping (which is an amazing perk), especially when you have a few animals. Everything always comes on time and is so much better than driving across town to go to the pet store. They have a great selection. If you have pets and aren't using this site, you're messing up. Can't recommend enough!

Great service. I have used Chewy.com for years. They answer the phone promptly, are courteous and helpful. Order arrives promptly and intact. May cost a little bit more than a big box store but well worth it.

Like many of the reviews I've read here, I am in total awe of the customer service Chewy.com provided. I bought replacements for my doggie doors (two different sizes) before finding out I ordered the wrong brand, which they at the time did not sell. They refunded my money, and said I could donate to a shelter rather than taking the effort to return via FedEx. I told them it was no problem, and they emailed me a shipping label (no cost to me) within seconds! I will check with the local shelters, but I'm not certain doggie doors are something that they are looking for. The young man on the phone was very helpful and very nice. In these days of dealing with "customer service" from airline, cable, and phone companies, this company knows what the real deal is. I will definitely be doing business with them again!

I ordered on Thursday May 4 and in tracking the delivery it will arrive on Tuesday May 9. That is 5 days. I need things delivered in a more timely manner. Because of this time lag I had to order both cat food and kitty litter from another company who has same day delivery. It is costing me more because I had to order duplicate items. You all need to have a conversation with your delivery company so that they will take you and your customers seriously.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chewy.com?

I just ordered a 42" dog crate from chewy.com. Two days later I realized that I ordered a size too large. I called Chewy to ask if I could stop the order and exchange it for the proper size or how best to handle it. Since the crate was already in transit, the customer service rep said they would refund my money and process my order for proper size crate (also waived shipping on the new order even though it was below the free shipping min). And rather than returning the wrong crate, he asked if I would do him a favor and donate it to a local shelter. So I got my money back and the free crate to donate! It seemed too good to be true but it went just the way he said. Awesome customer service!!! I'm definitely now a loyal customer and will recommend them to everyone. Thanks Chewy.com!

I have been their customer for a while now and they continue to amaze me every time. Their customer service is the best I have encountered from a company, I think ever. I recently order some shoes for my dog and when they arrived they were too big on him. I got very worried about returning them because they were kinda expensive ($53).

I went on their chat and within 30 seconds I was speaking to someone (this is great because some companies that have the option of chatting, never actually have anyone respond. Which I find annoying!). I spoke to Whitney. When I told her about the shoes not fitting she right away told me, I would get a refund, and to DONATE the shoes to a local shelter. I offered to just ship them back, she said they would be happy to donate them to a shelter. I have had similar experiences with this company. They are always trying to go above and beyond. I admire how this company is managing its customer service and building its customers loyalty. I completely recommend this company. Good prices, shipping times and the best customer service!

Chewy.com goes above and beyond to keep their customers happy. My first order I placed I ordered the wrong type of prescription dog food by mistake. I called customer service they gave me a full refund and sent out correct food. Also told me as I heard many say before donate unused dog food to shelter. My dog Trixie fell ill with cancer and passed away. I emailed the company and told them what happened and I needed to cancel my auto ship. In my time of grieving I received a beautiful floral arrangement with a sympathy card from chewy.com. It made my day so kind and thoughtful. I will recommend to every pet owner I meet.

I have used Chewy.com several times now and they are incredible. If you have a problem or question you can chat with a customer service rep in real time without waiting for an email response or sitting on hold, or going through a lengthy call routing process that never "quite fits" your particular problem. And what's more, the person can actually fix the problem or answer the question immediately. They can even make changes to an order that has already been placed. THIS COMPANY really cares about its customers, which nowadays is a rarity. Their prices are competitive and returns are very easy. Absolutely love ❤️ CHEWY.COM.

On two separate occasions, I was sold dog treats that expired 4 years ago. On 1/13/17, I purchased several items from Chewy.com including Fromm Family Grain-Free Salmon Dog Treats. When the dog treats arrived, I fed my two dogs one treat each. They both became violently ill, vomiting and defecating several times. I then checked the expiration date on the dog treats and found that they had expired in 2013! I immediately called Chewy.com and they asked for a photo of the expired treats, which I promptly provided. I insisted that they throw the expired product out, as it makes dogs sick. They apologized profusely and assured me the treats would be removed from the shelves.

On 3/27/17, I placed another order, and it again included Fromm Family Grain-Free Salmon Dog Treats. Again the treats arrived having expired in 2013. Chewy.com is purposely selling expired dog food to make a quick profit, and they must be stopped before dogs start dying. I will not withdraw this complaint until Chewy.com provides photographic evidence that they have actually pulled the expired dog treats from their shelves and disposed of it.

I had ordered an anti bark (citronella) collar for my dog that I didn't have to use, and didn't open the package. I called customer service and instead of making me go to the trouble of printing a shipping label and sending it back to them, then waiting for a refund, they told me they will issue and refund and I should donate the collar to an animal shelter or organization. I love that I can order big bags of dry dog and cat food, and cat litter online and they deliver it right to my door - it couldn't be more convenient! I can't think of enough positive things more to say about them - give them a try and I bet you'll be glad you did.

Over the summer I adopted a cat and I have been trying to find a food she likes. Spending countless dollars on food in random pet stores only to throw them away after she doesn't like them. I thought I had finally found the one and I had heard so many amazing things about Chewy I decided to give them a try. As it turns out, my cat does not like the food I purchased. Tried a few times using but a few cans to find out I must start my search all over. Back to the pet stores I went before investing in a case.

I felt I had nothing to lose by contacting Chewy about a return before I placed an order for new food. Figuring I would be told no as most companies would have, not only did Chewy refund my money for the food, they didn't even want the remaining cans back! They told me to donate them to a shelter or rescue! I was completely shocked. No questions asked. If that is not amazing customer service I don't know what is. They definitely have my patronage as well as my referrals!

I could go on and on about how responsive the folks at Chewy.com have been to every issue I've brought to them, but it would fill a book. We have two dogs and a cat. One dog and the cat are on veterinary-prescribed diets. Not only are Chewy.com's prices very competitive, but they ship within hours of order placement, ship at no cost, and the shipments arrive in one day. I recently purchased an $85 order of Rx food for the cat. The very day it arrived, the cat was at the vet with a new medical issue, requiring a change of diet, meaning the shipment just received could no longer be used.

Contacted Chewy.com to ask if I could return it. Yes, no problem. Asked if they could estimate how much it would cost to ship it back to them, because if the cost was too great, I'd just donate the food to a local animal shelter or rescue organization instead. They told me, first, they would NEVER let me pay for return shipping, they'd pay for it. Then, second, they suggested I just donate the unopened package of food to our pet shelter, not return it at all, and they'd credit the full cost of the purchase back to my credit card. Which they DID. I was stunned. They ate the $85 cost of this shipment, and asked me to donate it. Unbelievable.

Then we had issues with the vet not properly confirming the new Rx for the new feline diet, plus another Rx at the same time for the canine diet, and Chewy.com called the vet themselves to verify the Rx in both cases, two separate times, so that I didn't have to bother with it. They called back within 5 minutes each time to say they had the vet's approval, the shipment was on the way, the shipments arrived the next day. Just tell me where you can find such incredible attention to customer needs. Anywhere.

I am so used to dealing with customer service representatives who are not helpful, make excuses, don't know what they're talking about, don't know their own company's policies, can't follow through on anything -- and then there's Chewy.com, where every single issue is quickly resolved, courteously attended to, with humor and good grace and care and concern. FOR THE PETS, most of all. I will always turn to Chewy.com for purchases when possible. They are and will be my FIRST CHOICE.

Also, I have a very close friend who began using Chewy.com after I told her about them... She RAVES about the customer service, and thanks me all the time for telling her about them. This is one professional outfit and I would urge anyone and everyone to give them a try. 100%. I see some of these negative or "not so good" reviews of Chewy.com and I must tell you, after dealing with them for a couple years now, I do not believe one word of what these reviewers write. Only because I have had a 100% positive experience, no exceptions, with Chewy.com from the first day. I'm sorry. They can't be treating me this well and have it be an anomaly. This IS who they are, and they deserve credit for it, and they deserve our patronage.

I frequent the Dog Food Advisor website which is like the Consumer Reports of dog food. Chewy sells many of the 5 star rated brands that you won't find at Petco, and for the ones that Petco does stock like Solid Gold or Blue Buffalo - Chewy sells it cheaper. I got 20% off a 24lb bag of Solid Gold for trying the autoship function (don't worry, you can delay autoship orders from happening indefinitely or remove it entirely, so just take advantage of the discount).

Then I made an ultimate discovery: American Journey. A 5 star rated brand apparently owned by Chewy, relatively new, and Chewy frequently offers you 50% off your first bag. So I put it in my cart and bought a 28lb bag of dog food for $20. Mind you, my orders always have the free shipping. Chewy estimates the $49 free shipping requirement BEFORE any sales are applied, so the American Journey original price of 39.99 plus 10 bucks of other items met the shipping requirement, ultimately paying 30 bucks for my dog food and miscellaneous treats or shampoo.

After I placed this order I noticed that if I check American Journey food products daily, one day (twice in the same week) Chewy randomly marked it on sale again for 50% off first bag, so I did it again. I got a 2nd bag of 28lbs dog food for 20 bucks. Hey if they want to keep selling me one bag at a time for 20 bucks, I will keep ordering when their mood strikes to put it on sale. This is the most economical dog food I have found without compromising quality. And if your dog is a picky eater, you can make them eat any dog food by coating in chicken broth or sprinkling kelp/seaweed etc.

Chewy allows me to shop smart for my animals and they eat the cost of FedEx shipping straight to my door. I've seen reviews on here regarding mishandled credit card info - hasn't happened to me yet and I'll keep an eye out. But so far so good as long as I always check out with $49 or more of product original price but I wait for stuff to come on sale and I don't pay that amount. Autoship can also be exploited for additional 10% off as long as you don't mind clicking in your phone to manage and put off future shipments indefinitely. Basically getting 60% off American Journey dog food.

I have had very good interactions with Chewy.com. They have a huge selection of dog food, including food that I would have to get directly from my vet (BIG $$$). Shipping is ok. It's no Amazon. But reasonable, as long as you plan ahead a little. Refund and return policy is stellar. The times I contacted customer service on chat (love that they have this option... I am not a phone person and hate waiting several days for return emails from other companies) they have been helpful and polite and very accommodating of my requests.

I ordered a bird cage for my daughter for Christmas & received it quickly. It was only 2 or 3 days before Christmas so I wrapped the box & put it under the tree without opening it. Once we did, we realized it had been damaged in shipping. I called the company expecting to be able to request the specific part that was cracked, since there was a parts list included in the box, but, with no questions asked, they said they would ship out another cage! I got it in 2 days! Absolutely incredible customer service! And after a couple of weeks, I received a hand-written post card, thanking me for my purchase & expressing their hope that I was enjoying my Vision II bird cage! What?! I've NEVER received a hand-written thank you from a company before! Ever.

I was so appreciative of the service I'd received, that when I recently purchased a pet bunny rabbit from my local pet store, I told them I only needed the bunny, no supplies, because I would be ordering everything I needed from Chewy! And I did. It's all on the truck for delivery today & I placed my order the day before yesterday. I got everything I needed for MUCH less than my local pet store had it priced. I am so thankful for this company, service, & variety of products they offer! I will be ordering again & again!

I was in the middle of placing an order and got called away. I couldn't find my order so I tried to find my password. I had difficulty and got called away again. I never completed either purchase. The next day my husband said two charges showed up on our credit card. I called and spoke with a nice man. He took off the charges but I was very concerned that they ran my credit card without my approval. He promised someone would call from that department to figure out what had happened. No one called. It's too bad. I liked the company but I feel nervous about ordering if they charge your card without authorization.

This company automatically places an order when you add something to your cart. I couldn't get the 20% off. I called them & it doesn't apply to dog food. I told them I'm not going to order it, closed out their website and the order was placed anyway, even though I didn't hit the order button. Shawn just told me it's a glitch in their system. They had NO RIGHT to take it upon themselves to place this order without my confirming it. Now I sit here and wait for my $311.49 refund that was put on someone else's card who had used my account to order something in the past.

I am so happy I found Chewy online. I started with just my dog's food. At that time I was shopping at PetSmart and siding over ten dollars more pet bag. Everything went smoothly, after 2 months I decided to order my kitties' food. Once again everything smooth, plus saving money, not to mention the convenience.

Now after 1 year I order my Mastiff's and Standard Poodle's food, treats, antlers, specialty dental care products, plus toys and so much more on auto ship with no issues. Plus I have 2 sweet kitties that I order specialty litter, food, dental products, etc. Everything in auto ship, only one issue with shipment and they fixed it immediately. Love them!!

They have 1-2 day shipping posted all over their website for items over $49 to be automatically applied at checkout (they don't give you a shipping option). Ordered a $79 item only to find out they shipped it via the slowest snail mail possible. It took over a week for my item to arrive long after it was expected ruining the surprise gift it was going to be. Checked their website but there was no fine print or reasoning for the delayed shipment. After calling their customer service they had no justification for the delayed shipping other than it had to ship from a certain location. Never mind the fact they didn't even send the item via 3 day shipping or anything other than basic flat rate. The only reason this isn't a 1 star is because they gave back $10 for the item I ordered. Still reported them to the better business bureau as they are completely dishonest in their advertising.

Ordered 2 bags of Science Diet dog food, it shipped quick and no problems with that. They did double bill my debit card, one pre-auth and one debit, pre-auth still has 93 dollars of my locked and looks like Monday night before it will unlock so 4 days my 93 dollars will be tied up. Not happy about that, not the first time this has happened.

I recently moved. I went online and changed my address on the chewy.com website. It should be that simple right? It was not. After three days the delivery of food for my little yorkie Jack still had not arrived. I called the toll free number. I was told that they were so sorry, and that they would give me a $10 credit for the mix up. They also said that there were two different sites that I had to go to to change my delivery address! What??? I patiently took the time, talked to the lady, and updated my address. She explained that another delivery of food was being sent out right away. 4 days later? Still NO FOOD DELIVERY! I called again, only to be told that the order was mysteriously lost and they had no idea where Jack's dog food was. WOW!

Again, they apologized, and promised his food would be here by three days. Three days later? NO FOOD! I checked my email, and carefully looked at the tracking on the order, and guess what? THEY SENT IT TO THE OLD ADDRESS AGAIN!!! This time I was extremely frustrated. I called again. I expressed my displeasure with the whole experience, and even more disappointed that they just couldn't seem to get it right. I was told that they were very sorry and that they would be sending the order out AGAIN right away. I pressed for clarification on the delivery address. I was assured that the old address had been completely removed and that a new order of food was on the way. I guess it won't be until next week since this is a Friday. What a mess. I cannot confidently suggest that you use this company. They can't even get their delivery addresses correct!

I remember a strange time, the so-called 'good old days' when, in my ignorance, I paid more to do all the work myself. Happily, those days are gone for good! With 2 dogs of our own and a steady stream of fosters, I once felt as if I were at the pet store constantly, wincing at the prices and lugging 30 lb. bags of food. Now, I go to Chewy.com, find everything I need, and 2 days later the nice FedEx person carries the often 60-100lbs. of dog supplies right into my feed room (as you can see in the pic, one of my fur babies is patiently offering to help me unpack.)

Their website is clean, upfront, and easy, with time-savers like instant re-order and auto ship available. I've yet to search for something they didn't have, and best of all, I consistently pay less than pet store prices. The shipping of every order has been free, dependable, and super-fast. The time (and gas, and back strain) saving alone makes it worthwhile to me. I've never had an order that wasn't perfect, so I've never made use of their customer service dept., but I have no trouble believing others' accounts that it is friendly and efficient. A valuable service and a trustworthy company that I don't hesitate to recommend.

Chewy.com knows how to do customer service right! There was a minor problem with our autoship order (the first problem we've had in over two years of ordering from them). I called customer service at 7pm on a Sunday night yet was able to get to a live person immediately, and she completely resolved the issue in less than 3 minutes. No matter what company you use, simple mistakes will occasionally happen -- what matters is how the company handles that mistake, and Chewy.com handles it well.

I've had one other occasion to call customer service. I misread the ship date on my autoship order and thought we had missed a shipment. I realized my error while I was on the phone with the customer service agent, apologized, and told him there was no problem after all. He gave me a ten percent discount on my next order "for your trouble." This was 100% my mistake and not any issue caused by Chewy.com at all, yet he ended up giving me a discount. Very impressive customer service.

Auto ship NOW does not work. Got offered a 10% discount on the next order... when my dogs are out of food. Ridiculous. I can drive to the store and pick up the same food for about the same price. Thanks for nothing Chewy.

I am a comparison shopper and Chewy.com really does have great prices. Their shipping is fast. No more going to the store to try and load and unload a 50 lb bag of dog food. Auto Shipping is so easy to use. You can delete items, add items, change your shipping date, all hassle free. High quality products. I ordered a scented conditioner once that my cat and dog could not tolerate. I simply went on the website and chatted with them and within minutes had a refund, no hassle of shipping the item back, I donated it. Highly recommend their services from the outstanding prices, the very fast shipping, and the top notch customer service.

50+ pounds of products should be in more than 1 flimsy box that fell apart before delivery. I'm old. Had to get help. I live alone. Not always someone around. Snowing doesn't help. Just happy nothing was ruined. I will order again. My fur babies love everything. THANK you.

Great service! Can't say enough good things about Chewy.com. Their autoship program is stellar & very easy to use/modify. I bought some booties for my dog and they were too small. Instead of having to go through the hassle of packing them up and shipping them back, they simply shipped me a larger size. When my friend's aging dog passed away, she called to cancel her autoship. They sent her a bouquet of flowers w/ a sympathy card. Will continue to use & recommend to friends.

Easy returns, AMAZING pricing, Autoship is my cat's best friend. Every time I have an issue with Chewy.com, whether it is wanting a change in the type of food I am ordering or changing the date of my delivery, they are friendly and incredibly fast. My average wait time for a customer service associate is less than 1 minute, most times less than 30 seconds! I love this place and would recommend this retailer to anyone. They ship your food within 1-2 days and even go the distance of getting the food out to my cat when I was waiting for the prescription from my doctor.

Chewy I order filter for my fish tank Saturday Feb 5, came in next day. Sunday I did a quarter water change put new filters in etc. Monday get home from work noticed my clown loach was dead and my 2 goldfish weren't doing so good either. So I treat my tank with tetra lifeguard. Well it's now Wednesday and I've lost both my goldfish I have had for 7 yrs. I really upset my fish were fine and healthy. I will never order from there again. Only thing I can think of it was the filters (Fish filter penguin bio wheel 350).

Chewy.com Company Profile