3.80/5
Based on 347 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a pet store?

483 Chewy.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

This is my third order from Chewy which I've always been satisfied with until today I ordered something. I called back to add to it. The gentleman assured me he wouldn't charge me shipping and handling. When I asked him if he was going to take it out of my bank he said no you'll see it in the email but you will not see it on your statement. I get a notification from my bank two hours later that he did indeed take it out of my bank. I don't do business with people who take money from my bank account without my knowledge. You just lost a customer.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Customer service wouldn't work with me after verifying my billing that I always use without any issues. Very disappointed! Very busy working and maybe their system wasn't working like it should. I have many friends in the nutrition biz and I foster dogs. I'll be sure to spread the word.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Contacted incorrect vet for prescription even though correct vet contact information was provided on multiple occasion. Upon providing correct vet contact information I was told order would be approved and filled promptly. Nonetheless Chewy gave up on filling order. Chewy placed order on hold, pending receipt of mailed prescription. But Chewy never informed me they were awaiting receipt of a mailed prescription. It was not until a second call to customer service that I was informed of the hold -- one week after placing order for medication that must be provided to pet in a timely routine manner. TERRIBLE COMPANY!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Just had my first return for product with Chewy. It was 100% my error, as I did not fully read description. Despite this fact, they issued me an immediate refund and asked me to donate the collar to a shelter! Perhaps my longstanding order history contributed, but no hassle refund of a leather XL collar is beyond professional servicing! Further, the agent was friendly and assured me it was ok! Simply exceptional.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Totally satisfied with my order, which arrived in 2 separate shipments. Great prices and fast shipping. A bucket of Tidy Cat litter was missing, but appeared it had possibly come out of the box in shipment and FedEx had delivered it anyway. The lady at customer service was very nice and sent out a replacement which arrived in 1 day. 100% satisfied with my ordering experience and will continue to order from them as it beats lifting the buckets of litter and bags of cat and dog food several times when purchasing at the store and bringing them home (countless dozens over the years). Will see how the auto ship works in the future. Highly recommend!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chewy.com?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

My beautiful little Chloe's kidneys failed and I had to put her to sleep yesterday. I also had to cancel a recurring food order from Chewy.com because of it. When the employee, Melody ** asked why I was cancelling and I explained, she offered her sympathy. Today, I received flowers from her and Chewy.com. If you own a pet, I urge you to order their food from Chewy. They are an amazing company who provide excellent customer service but kindness also!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Chewy.com is an amazing place to buy all of the animal products I need. The reason I am giving three stars is that I just got off a chat session with a legitimate complaint and asked to speak to a manager and was denied any assistance. I asked when I order 4 cat litter tubs on auto-ship that they are shipped each in their own box. When the boxes arrive they have holes and the cat litter seals are broken from bumping into each other and litter goes everywhere. The answer was no they can't do that unless I place 4 separate orders. HOGWASH! Way to listen to feedback!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I've been using Chewy for over a year, I originally went with them because the commercial said free delivery, it doesn't say with $49 purchase. So at the start of my dealing with Chewy my orders were always above the not mentioned in the commercial, but stated on the website condition. The 1-2 days delivery doesn't always happen, if it's close to a holiday, you won't see it for 4-7 days, I have stopped using Chewy because I feel they are deceptive in their commercial, and I feel they should follow through with their guarantee 1-2 days delivery.

They entice people by making the commercial give them false information on what their policy really is. I would save $2 by using Chewy for my dog's food, and would spend extra money that I didn't plan on spending if I went to the store to buy it because I didn't want to pay shipping costs, in the end I'm spending more than if I paid the $2 by going to the store, and not have to wait for when it does show up. I'm not a fan of Chewy.com, I think they shouldn't be allowed to state free 1-2 day free shipping when that's not true.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Shipping is prompt. The food and toys are quality! Best price, I got the ecoflex crate for my dog and Overstock had it almost double the price! Customer service answered right away. I was never on hold at all. They send me personalized cards. Love love love!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

When I was using their services, I already thought they were great. They have superb customer service dept. Returns are processed without question and many times, they ask you to deliver the item you are trying to return to a shelter instead. They also have There is no other retailer that will beat the price of Chewy's. Between great quality product selection, best price, best customer service, fast delivery (2 day service), free 2 day delivery w/ spending of $49 (that's a low minimum for pet retailer), I don't think there's anything more you can ask for...

Last weekend, my dog passed away unexpectedly. I made several purchase that I didn't have a chance to open so I contacted their customer service to do a return. As always, they processed the return quickly and sent me comforting words on live chat. Then few days later, I receive a flower delivery from Chewy's to send their condolences. Who does that?!?! What company does that? NO ONE. There are friends and family that don't even consider that. What a kind, loving, thoughtful gesture. I cannot thank them enough for their kindness.

I love them already, but I cannot boast enough about the company, what they stand for, their brand, their culture, their service, and their love for pets and people. They really are a good company to do business with. Like most people who are pet owners, they spend endless amount of money on their pets, providing the best care possible for our fur babies. Chewy's delivers best products for our loved ones and show that they care. No one should ever question their business value, operation, or ethics. I think Chewy's is an example for all other retails to follow. I feel blessed to have found them years ago and once I am ready to be a new dog owner, can't wait to return to them as a customer!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

My elderly cat needed special foods and supplements which I found at the lowest prices at Chewy.com and have been ordering them as needed. Last week, she passed away. I'd just received an order and asked if I could return it (unopened). Chewy.com refunded the cost and told me to donate the food to my local shelter - they were so kind and I've been telling all my pet-loving friends about them. Then, today, I received a lovely floral bouquet in memory of my beloved cat. I cannot get over how great Kyleigh at Chewy.com and everyone I've spoken to has been - it's made a really sad situation less so, and I'm a customer for life.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Ordering is quick and easy. Calling into customer service - You get a real live person with not having to listen to any prompts. They are easy to understand and prompt, they are knowledgeable and very courteous. Love love Chewy.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I placed an order. A day later I got a call saying they needed to verify zip codes. I asked why they waited a day. They said they had tried to contact me via e-mail. I had no such e-mail (and not in spam either). I choose not to do any business with them.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

We've been buying from Chewy.com for a bit and have had only great experiences, but today, their level of care, concern, professionalism and service, and the rapidity of their response and resolution was beyond my best expectations. We don't usually write reviews :-( but this time we had to let others know of the amazing service, the care in product selection and the outstanding concern for customers. My mistake, ordered the wrong products, and Chewy made it right IMMEDIATELY with a smile, and at NO cost to us. What a great company Chewy is and they make shopping for our pets a great experience with our pet's welfare first in mind.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I ordered a dog bed but got one too small. I called to return it and was amazed that they told me to donate it to a local shelter and I'd get my money back. What awesome people! I was just speechless!!! I will be going asap to my local shelter to give them the bed and will order another for my dogs!!!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

We had put our pet's K/D prescription canned dog food - chicken with vegetables and beef with vegetables on autoship 2 cases each month. Suddenly our dog with kidney failure got worse and couldn't eat. We called and cancelled the autoship order the day that we put him to sleep. They sent us a heartfelt note with a vase of beautiful flowers to our door. It read, "They are always here through the sad times and to remember the good memories left on our heart." Thank you Brittany and the Chewy family for your thoughtfulness after the loss of our cocker spaniel, Rusty.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I've been with Chewy since they were a small operation (they opened in 2011), great customer service, deliveries on time and sent by FedEx or USPS. Since they started using LaserShip almost 2 years ago, it's been one nightmare after another. Also, their packing is done so poorly, I have to have everything in different orders so things are not destroyed "if" delivered. Now I'm not sure if it's Chewy or LaserShip who destroyed my deliveries. Customer service at Chewy has gone downhill fast. I was told it was an "award winning customer service" by a supervisor the other night, maybe in a different world. They don't know what they're telling you, some are sleeping, one guy laughed in my ear sarcastically while I was talking, one told me to go somewhere else to shop, and one told me that she couldn't tell me when LaserShip would deliver my items and she knew I had a life, but that's how it is!

If you're not home when LS comes, the shipment goes back to the warehouse. I stopped using them for a couple of months after every expensive treat, supplements and dog shampoo were all over the bottom of the box, smashed, and soaked. They apologized and sent me new items one after another and flowers. I threw the flowers away because all I want are my dog's items intact and on time. I also want to be treated with respect and empathy by customer service, who supposedly have "extensive training" in what I don't know, definitely not customer service. LaserShip is the only available service for Chewy on the East Coast, so you are basically stuck with this inept service.

It's too much stress, I don't want apologies, flowers, cards or portraits of my pooch. I want my delivery on time and not smashed and broken! I had to cancel my last order because no one knew about LaserShip and if or when they would come. I will do as someone before this review did and say goodbye after 7 years of being a valued customer and go with Amazon. Chewy has a cheap contract with the worst shipping company in the world - LaserShip and refuses to use FedEx or USPS in the east. The supervisor didn't even know how long they have been using LaserShip, stated one year and one month. No, it's been over 1 3/4 years and nothing but torture. Chewy needs to retrain their customer service reps, since they don't know how to take care of their customers.

Also I believe that many customers will leave if they don't stop using LS and improve customer service. If it's a 1 2 3 problem, they're fine, but complicated issues, like when will my delivery arrive, they make things up or sound bored. I believe this happened because the company was sold to PetSmart and a new CEO Sumit Singh (sp?) per supervisor, took over. Goodbye Chewy. The last two years have been the worst, stressful and not worth it. I'll get my dog's things at Amazon from now on. Chewy will not improve their "award winning" Customer Service and will never stop using the pathetic LS.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I order three items from Chewy.com (bag of cat food and 2 boxes of Dermoscent Essentials). One box contained only three of the four vials of ointment it was supposed to have, so I sent an e-mail to Chewy.com. A short while later, I received a reply apologizing and stating they'd send me a new box. I was notified that the new box had been shipped later that same day, and the box arrived the next day. That's what I call taking care of a customer! I should note that this was the first time there'd been a problem with an order. The email was very nice, too. Good job! I save money with them, save gas, and end up feeling good about the transaction.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I have used Chewy for 8 months and was the biggest advocate. The big problem that I could not fix was that Lasership deliveries of Chewy products are being thrown in back of condo building. Bored disinterested Chewy customer service people going through the motions telling me that’s how it is with Lasership drivers—that they all do things their own way. Never even got manager to follow up and call back so have noticed the customer service is part of the problem too. Beware of using Chewy because Lasership is the worst delivery company out there (do online research). I’m going back to Amazon. Same prices. Same products. But they will get the packages to you. Chewy has gone downhill since their acquisition by a bigger company. Thank your stars Amazon is still out there.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I have always had great experiences with Chewy. Customer service is polite, courteous and is always willing to help. If you order the wrong item, they replace it free when you donate the wrong item to a shelter. Which is amazing, I don't know of any other place that does this. My pup is an aggressive chewer and has destroyed several toys. Chewy has always given credit for the product.

As far as the lady who purchased 5lb bag of Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth, well it is the responsibility of the pet parent to properly apply chemicals to your yard. Reading the package for any warnings would of been the most responsible thing to do. Don't blame Chewy because you did not proceed with caution. Shipping issues?? Chewy does not own the shipping companies that deliver your package. All shipping companies run into issues now and then. With any company online, place your orders when you know you need the product not last minute. The reason for my review is to tell everyone how great Chewy is and that pet parents can't blame someone for their own carelessness. Yes, it's sad her pup has eye issues but the pet parent needs to be responsible for chemicals that are applied to your own property. Chewy is #1 and will recommend to everyone!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Have been with Chewy for quite some time now. Have had several occasions that the shipping has taken too long. Have called to complain and have been told Chewy uses FedEx (Home) or FedEx (Ground). Have also been told it is based upon when I order if before 2 PM. I have placed various orders earlier than that time and earlier in the week, still too long for shipping. Wish I could find the products locally so I would not need to deal with the "shipping complaints." It also depends upon who you speak with for different answers to the shipping issues. Chewy can certainly bill your account very promptly though. If you do require a "return credit" to your account, well that can be 5-7 business days or longer? Bottom line is if you place your order make sure to do it at least a week in advance and if you need to be credited back for a return issue, make sure you are not in need of that set amount of monies in your account. Just saying...

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I have been a loyal Chewy customer for years, as has my whole family. I exclusively order my dog’s food from Chewy, in part because it’s the best price, in part because it’s so hard to find in stores. I also buy treats, toys, and most recently a dog costume from Chewy. The only issue I’ve had was on my last order where an item was left out of the shipping package. I called and within 2 minutes a new one was being processed, no problems or hassle. The woman was extremely helpful and didn’t make it a difficult process at all. I love Chewy and will continue to use them for years!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I recently ordered special medicated food for our pet and did auto order, it arrived in a timely manner. Unfortunately our pet Frog made a turn for the worst and we had to release him from his suffering. I called customer service and let them know I had to cancel the auto order... he asked why and I explained we lost our pet and no longer are in need of the food and that we only used it for a few days and I was going to donate it to the local humane society. He then said he was issuing a full refund. I was in shock... I said, "No you don't have to." He said, "Yes I do." that, "We are sorry for your loss and since you said you were going to donate it to other pets we are going to give you a refund." That was the nicest thing ever. My heart is sad but that was a very kind gesture. I definitely will be recommending to others their service. Sincerely Mom of Frog the dog!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I've placed a couple orders with Chewy.com and have been very pleased with the pricing & the speed of delivery. My last order I placed, I ordered the wrong sized leash and when I tried to return it, I didn't see that as an option. I used the chat option on the website and the service was unbelievable. They refunded my money, placed a new order for the correct size and asked me to donate the other leash to a shelter. I thought that was pretty awesome. I will continue to use Chewy for all my pet supplies.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

This review is regarding my negative experience. Overall, Chewy would get a better rating from me, but I am extremely disappointed right now regarding my recent order. I placed it at 3:30 AM on Monday. It was scheduled to arrive the next day, but was never delivered and tracking info wasn't updated. Chewy insisted FedEx just hadn't updated their system. This morning, after I again saw no tracking movement, I called FedEx and they confirmed for me, the package hasn't even been received yet by Chewy. I called Chewy to inform them, THEY dropped the ball, not FedEx. Finally, they admitted they've been having some shipping issues at the warehouse level and the package "should" be received by Friday. "Should" is not a definitive answer. Come on, Chewy. You are no longer a convenience when I can't get the items I order within the advertised 2 days.

It was wonderful of you to offer a full refund to make up for my having to go out and purchase what should have already been here, but the fact remains, my husband is sick with leukemia, I work two jobs to make up for his loss of employment while he battles this, and the items are heavy. I neither have the strength nor time to manage fetching boxes of litter for five cats from the store along with other supplies. This is part of the reason I have ordered from you a few times a month for the past year and a half - for the convenience. It would have been nice to receive a warning that you're experiencing shipping delays. Now, between myself and sick husband, we're having to scramble to get these supplies here for our critters. We will definitely remain customers, but if this happens again anytime soon, we will seriously reconsider how we shop for pet supplies.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I placed an order on Friday for $85.00. My credit card was charged. I qualified for free 1 to 2 day shipping. As of Tuesday my order had not processed nor shipped. All I got from customer service is, "We don't know what has happened," "we have had some shipping issues," "not sure when it will ship." "We can give you 15% off on your next shipment." Hate to say but it appears Chewy is going downhill fast.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I always had an issue with ordering basking bulbs from Chewy. Despite advising them numerous times by live chat and phone calls that the bulbs need to be packaged with stuffing material other than a piece of brown paper, which inevitably crushed the bulbs every time, they continue to ship this way. Fine, I thought to myself, I would buy the bulbs or other more fragile items in store at their competitors' locations. A few months ago, I made a purchase that included a bag of cat litter and some smaller items like a can of fish food. I arrived home to find at my front door a box covered with ants inside and outside of the box. Chewy shipped the bag of cat litter with the other small items, again, no divider or stuffing was used other than 1 piece of brown paper. Needless to say, that bag of litter crushed the cab of fish food, spilling everything inside the box and luring the ants in. The thermometer was crushed too.

I was furious. I contacted them immediately about this. A generic sorry was given, asked me about my pets (Seriously? My husband's fish went hungry waiting for a replacement and this was all preventable), then offered to ship the replacements. Like the previous review mentioned, I had always posted reviews on Chewy, either it be negative or positive ones, with photos, and always find them posted within 48 hours. I made a review post about this cat litter which I was not satisfied about plus the shipping experience I had. Pictures were uploaded to show the product, nothing else.

Weeks gone by and it was not posted. Suddenly, I received a message from my credit card company saying Chewy posted a reimbursement for an amount that I don't even know where it is coming from. To date, my review was still not posted. It felt like Chewy threw some money at me in exchange of refusing to post the review. I did not request for a refund in light of being dissatisfied with it because I was still planning to use it. The reason I disliked the litter was the pellets were too small for the price that you pay for and odor control is not good.

Chewy is going downhill. I used to be their fan and referred people to them. Over the years, they have changed. The shipping times grew from 2 days to 1 week, items ordered at the same time would be shipped from different warehouses with different shipping dates but you would not be advised of this, they place a charge on your credit card account then remove it later for their accounting purposes (Again, never was told of this), items selected in the shopping cart would get a price increase so you could not buy at the price that you originally wanted for, price increases for most items, the variety and inventory for exotic pets went down drastically, and the customer service is lacking and growing cold and generic. Telling them sorry, throw some money back at the customer and NOT listening to the root of the problem so changes can be implemented frustrated me to no end.

In light of the above, I am at the point where I only use them to buy hay, bedding and substrate in bulk. No other stores are carrying them in bulk sizes yet. Once they do, I plan to completely remove myself from Chewy. Their competitors caught on and have started accepting price matches. Why would I want to buy things that can break or food that can't wait from a company that is not honest with the way they do things anymore.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

We purchased, from Chewy.com, a 5lb bag of Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth (by DiatomaceousEarth.com, Diatomaceous Earth LLC) about a month ago. After applying around the perimeter of the house, waiting, then 24 hrs later, allowing our dog to go around that part of the yard with us, we came in with her and in no time, her eyes were completely swollen shut. We rushed her to our 24hr veterinarian to find that our vet did not seem not surprised at all by this, as it seems to happen a lot. Apparently, my dog was lucky that it was only her eyes.

A week after and my little girl was still unable to open her eyes, was on routine drops, ointment, pain meds, and antibiotics. Now nearly a month in, she is still so photosensitive, still remains on an abundance of meds and has permanent damage. I called Chewy after 6 days (wanting to see how the damaged progressed). They were so 'apologetic' and 'concerned'...said to make sure I wrote the review and put pictures. I told them that the review was all I was concerned with, so others could see her face and be warned about the possible side effects. We are now on week four of trying to get the review up.

At 1st, I was told, 'it usually takes more than 48hrs for a review to post (mind you, this was a full week after calling/posting, 2 weeks after damage). Week 3 I called again to be told 'it's because you put names/phone #'s on the review' (they were the same #'s posted on the actual products bag!! and 1 was a non-working #). Then finally, as I and my legal team suspected, I was told that it couldn't be posted 'due to liability reasons.'

So I worked for days with so many customer service reps, team leads, etc, trying to word this review just right, so Chewy could cover their rear-ends, and finally got the review 'approved with the pictures.' I had to spend hours on the phone, received a confirmation email and 2 calls stating it was 'approved and should be up soon.' So finally Nearly a month in, the review goes up, but my baby's face, the photos of the permanent damage, of her unable to open her eyes or go outdoors without a mask, were nowhere to be found on the review. I called back, and spoke to the team lead, who without hesitation, said 'oh, Chewy doesn't allow people to post pictures'...REALLY?! I informed him that HE told me the pictures were included and approved, to look at the product reviews, that there were pictures, even on that actual product, that when you write a review it asks you for up to 6 photos!

The life jackets we bought had hundreds of pictures, current and from past years. (Of course, they were cute and fun, not of a poor baby who has permanent damage with her eyes swollen shut!) To which he acted completely baffled. And said he was sending the manager in charge of posting this a message so we could get this resolved. Honestly, the only reason I did not file suit against them is because they seemed sooo concerned (in the beginning), even sent flowers. Of course, kindness goes a long way, but so does sincerity! Now I'm told that the manager who took care of it isn't in for 2 more days.

Meanwhile, people may continue to purchase this item, an item no longer sold by pet stores other than Chewy, my little one's face is not seen, and I have to go through this mess all over again! It will be a month that we've been doing this! I would think posting a review is a heck of a lot better than being asked to pay all of her current and future vet bills/restitution. Really, it's a no-brainer (posting a review vs filing suit...). So, at least here I can post 1 photo so you all can see what happened to our girl (my seizure alert service dog!). Take, note, I no longer see Chewy as a caring, compassionate company (as stated below). Their concerns, in my opinion, are more about sales and no concern of your dogs actually safety!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I will start by saying that Chewy customer service is excellent. When we lived in a single family home, every order arrived as placed, and the service was perfect. We have recently lived in 2 different apartment complexes, while relocating and embarking upon a custom built home. Every order in each apartment has had an issue. Chewy customer service dealt with each problem promptly, and they have been super. Since this has happened at two different addresses, with different security and delivery features, I can reasonably conclude that all of our problems could be attributed to shipping (FedEx) - but the fact remains that not a month has gone by without a delivery issue. I will return to Chewy when I am back in a house, but have temporarily paused autoship while I live in an apartment.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

When my Autoship was fulfilled, one of the items had to ship from a different warehouse. Without telling me first, it caused a hold to be put on my account for an extra $68. I'm told it will be removed when the order is complete. However, due my tight budget, this extra charge caused issues at my bank. Chewy did offer to fix it, but only if I got on the phone with them and my bank. I am work and can't do a personal conference call. They shouldn't be allowed to double charge for any period of time, and I will not do business with them again.

Not sure about Chewy.com?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Pet Stores for you.

Chewy.com Company Information

www.chewy.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business