4.04/5
Based on 308 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a pet store?

Last updated: April 20, 2018

368 Chewy.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 20, 2018

Like many posting here, I was a happy Chewy.com customer for several years. That was BEFORE they were bought out by PetSmart. Now, orders are late, I get cases of food with many cans dented (sometimes to the point that the can is OPEN and the food spoiled), and now there are issues with my coupons being stolen. DO NOT SEND CHEWY.COM ANY COUPONS IN GOOD FAITH!!!

I used to place orders and then send the coupons with a letter with the order and item numbers to apply the coupons, and in the past, a credit would show up like clockwork on my card within 5-10 days. About a month ago, I mailed in 2 coupons for Comfort Zone diffuser refills worth $5.00 each to be applied towards 2 items I'd just bought. I only received a credit for ONE of the coupons. I thought it was a fluke, but no... On my next order, I again sent 2 coupons worth $5.00 each - also for Comfort Zone diffuser refills, as this is something I order approximately monthly (but not by autoship). More than 2 weeks have now passed, and no credit has been issued. I called them to ask. The person looked on my account and could only tell me that they "hadn't been received yet". That's nonsense.

The quality of this company continues to spiral downward. That's really PetSmart's goal, though, isn't it? In the end, PetSmart wants all these other little companies they bought to tank and die off, so in the end, they're left as the only alternative. I now can't even buy any Orijen products from Chewy because Orijen refuses to have their products sold by any PetSmart-associated company because of their association with puppy mills. I might as well buy locally though the product is more expensive, even with the coupons applied. Oh how I miss the old Chewy.com. :(

Original review: April 20, 2018

After years of amazing service and savings on prescription dog food we had to put our pet to sleep. I contacted Chewy because I had 18 cans of dog food left and wondered if I could return it. Chewy sent me the sweetest email ever expressing their sadness over my loss. They refunded my full shipment amount and asked me to donate the food to a shelter. They have a heart. Incredible business model. If I ever have a pet again we will shop at Chewy.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I never have experienced so much care before with a company! I am a new buyer and when making my purchase I called and spoke to one of their customer service reps, Alexis. She did an amazing job taking care of my order and we spoke about her visiting out of town to my state. I told her some places to visit and a few weeks later I received a thank you card from her! It was so sweet and she even drew a picture of my kitty on there! This company really cares about their employees and customers you can really tell! I'll be lifetime consumer!

Original review: April 19, 2018

My first order came on time and all items ordered were there. Unfortunately UPS must have literally dropped the box on my front porch, because one of my large bags of dog food was busted open. No biggie. I called customer service and they IMMEDIATELY replaced it, and surprisingly enough the new bag arrived the very next day in less than 24 hrs after reporting it to customer service. Customer service was very understanding and polite, and I have nothing but good things to say about my first experience with Chewy.com. My two dogs also give you guys 5 stars or two paws rating lol. I can't believe so many people complaining about delivery cost when it says CLEARLY it's not free unless you spend $50 or more. To be expected of course. People just complain because they're obviously cheapskates and people have nothing better do apparently. Thanks Chewy.com. I don't care who owns your company, you guys rock.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I ordered from Chewy and was told my package would arrive in 2 days. I contacted FedEx to track the package and it was never received. I spoke to three reps who all told me different stories. What happened to my package? I was told it was lost, damaged, on the way. I received so many different answers I don't know what to believe. I asked to speak to supervisor and was hung up on twice. Horrible service!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chewy.com?

Original review: April 15, 2018

CHEWY LIES! You do not get free shipping unless you spend over $49. I found this out when I tried to place an order. When challenged, customer service says that they put all qualifiers in their ad. Didn't see it? No? That's because it's listed in the last frame with lettering so small, coloring that blends in, that you have to sit right in front of the TV to see it. This may satisfy a 'legal' requirement, but outright deception is a bad business policy.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Purchased a dog kennel and harness for about $70 on April 13th. My account got a pending for the total amount then an additional pending for $45 which is now $115 being held for a $70 order. Called and was told me they do a hold and after shipping. That is bull crap.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Chewy is no more. It is now PetSmart. Good things always come to an end. The express shipping isn’t as express anymore. I’ve tried to place an order 2 times with no luck. Out of the blue after shopping with Chewy for many years, I’m told to reset my password. I have followed their instructions, with no luck. I can’t reset my password. So I have decided to shop at another business for my pet needs. I quit shopping at PetSmart many years ago, for many reasons. Too expensive and items out of stock. Now they are Chewy... I was disappointed to hear.

Original review: April 14, 2018

We have placed 2 orders with Chewy and I can't tell you how pleased we are with them, and our dog gives his top paw rating as well! We had a size issue on one order, which was our fault, and they immediately took care of replacing it and did so without any issues or problems. The second order I placed I was having some trouble, called customer service and was promptly greeted by a very friendly and knowledgeable gentleman. He fixed everything for me and made me feel like a truly appreciated customer.

They carry quality products with excellent pricing. Shipping is super quick and well packed, whether it's a 40lb bag of food or a small harness. Follow up is sincere and they are truly interested in your satisfaction and your pet's happiness. If they carry it, I will only order from Chewy now. I only wish other companies were as customer oriented and made it as pleasant to do business with as everyone at Chewy!!!

Original review: April 13, 2018

I've been a chewy.com customer since before Petsmart bought them. Lately, I've had issues with being charged for items never shipped (auto delivery that was out of stock), double charging on shipments, and today, charged for an order in full although only part shipped and then being charged again for the part that shipped from another warehouse. When I used to work in retail, billing customers prior to shipment was illegal. When I talked to customer service I was told that it should clear itself up within 24 to 48 hours since it was only "pending". No offer to fix it right then, which is what they used to do. Essentially they get to use my money for the next 1 to 2 days while I do not. Very unethical business practices. No other online company that I deal with charges customer for orders that haven't shipped. I'm done with them. Back to Amazon I go. My advice, watch your bank accounts closely when you order with them.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I have tried several different cat foods. My cat, Sam, did not like any of them. He refuses to even try soft cat food. :( He is missing many teeth and his coat is full of flaky skin cells. So I recently ordered Merrick Purrfect Bistro grain free cat food from Chewy. He loves it!!! Very pleased with Chewy and their quick reliable shipments. Thank you!!

Original review: April 13, 2018

I purchased a case of cat food that my cat hated. I was willing to return it and pay for the can I did open. Chewy refunded my money and in return asked that I just donate the food to a worthy cause. NOW THAT IS CUSTOMER SERVICE! Needless to say, they have my business!

Original review: April 12, 2018

I ordered two harnesses for our dogs from Chewy.com. They arrived the very next day but one of the harnesses was too large, so I called customer service to start the return. To my surprise, a real person answered right away, refunded my money, and helped me order the correct size. Macy was great and asked me to donate the harness instead of returning it. Macy and Chewy.com, you made this pet lover's heart smile! I will be donating the extra harness to my local shelter this weekend. Thank you so much!

Original review: April 12, 2018

I decided to give them a try. The pricing is great, the shipping is wonderful but they have literally been out of stock on the dog food 50% of the time. It is not good to keep switching your dog's food, so I had to give up. Sorry Chewy but you struck out big time!

Original review: April 12, 2018

If I could rate Chewy.com a 10 with 10 being the absolute BEST company for your pet needs, I would because I've always had outstanding service from them. Excellent variety, discounted prices, fast & reliable delivery & quality service from a company who truly cares about their customer satisfaction. Their Auto Ship option is awesome, too. Thank you Chewy.com for being my sole provider of food & other products for my precious fur babies. You are THE BEST.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I have been shopping with Chewy for almost a year now, since last September and my cat is a munchkin cat, once I got food (found out she couldn't eat dry and that she is super picky) and wouldn't eat the canned Blue Buffalo I bought her. Got her a very large case of it. First case was dented but they rushed me out a second case. It was fine. They made sure it was double packed. They told me also to donate the other cans that were non-dented and keep the good ones for her. Within a few cans (it also wasn't a variety pack) she was done with it. Go figure, cats right?) Anyway they recently (in the last few days), refunded me for the Blue Buffalo. Since I have changed banking info and debit cards. I called myself to the bank to make sure they would be able to transfer the 35.00 over to the new account.

Lady at the bank told me they couldn't and didn't see the funds. And hung up... So I called Chewy and they requested to help me out. I am autistic and verbally have a small language barrier at times. And so I let her stay on the line with me and merged calls with them and my bank and they got it straightened out. They also had me send photos of my munchkin cat. Part Himalayan and ragdoll. I absolutely love this company. They make you (and your fur baby) feel not like an order number, but a person, and they treat you with sincerity and respect. I will be a customer of theirs for life. They have a wall they put your pet's photo on, and told me to send several photos of her to them. I have also had personal postcards written to Aqua and I from the people I talk to on the phone. They're so attentive and caring.

Definitely choose Chewy. Those complaining about shipping issues, I have been ordering online for years because I can hardly get out of the house due to my disabilities, shipping isn't chewy.com’s issue (I have never had a shipping issue once in the almost year I've been with them). It depends on all kinds of factors, holidays, weather, you name it. Once it's out of anyone's warehouse (my parents worked at a warehouse trust me) it depends on the delivering service at that point to get that item TO YOU! There are natural disasters every day.

You may get something from UPS and not FedEx or something from FedEx and not UPS because different hubs in different areas and the truck it's on may not be able to get to certain hubs that get that product to you in time. No matter if it's Amazon and you get something next day from over 2000 miles away, you still might not get it next day. I've paid next day shipping costs and I still sometimes don't get it next day. It depends on the time the truck picks the item up as well. So this is a whole other story. But Chewy is amazing. Give them a shot. Trust me!

Original review: April 10, 2018

ALWAYS great experience! Good products, very reasonably priced! Shipping is fast! Returns are easy and hassle free. Told to donate the wrong size headcollar to dog shelter and they will be refunding my money anyways! I will be loyal customer!

Original review: April 9, 2018

When we called customer service because we had to put our 13.5 year old dog to sleep and realized that the next day our order was going to be delivered the women on the phone was very empathetic. She told us to just donate the food to a shelter once it came and they would credit our account for the amount the bag of dog food was. She expressed her condolences which was very sweet after what we had just gone through!

Original review: April 8, 2018

Without any hassle, the Chewy team was happy to send us a differently sized dog crate because we ordered the incorrect size for our puppy. Not only did they refund the original purchase, they asked us to donate the wrong sized crate to a shelter of our choosing! Warm and friendly along the way and it makes such a difference!

Original review: April 7, 2018

I have had nothing but great experiences with Chewy! They have been able to answer questions, help get my pet's prescription, return an item, use a coupon and when my cat didn't like the food I ordered they refunded me part of the cost and told me to donate the food to a shelter! Great customer service.

Original review: April 7, 2018

This was my first time using Chewy.com in years. I had great experiences in the past with them, (including me accidentally buying THE WRONG DOG FOOD, and instead of them charging me for it when I let them know, they told me to "donate it to a local dog shelter," which I did.) Unfortunately, their prices were a bit higher than their competitors. Now that their competitors have raised their rates, I'm back! I ordered food yesterday and literally got it today! I got it in twenty four hours AND on a Saturday! I love this company and will be back!

Original review: April 5, 2018

I have been a customer of Chewy.com for 3 years. Last week, I ordered a small bag of dry dog food and 2 different cases of canned dog food. My total was in the amount of 59.72. My debit card was charged for 59.72, PLUS additional charges of $22.71 AND $28.70. I immediately emailed customer service and sent bank records along with their own invoice which showed the same charges. I receive the following response from Jamie **, Customer service:

"I'd be happy to explain the charges. When an order is placed, a pending hold is placed on your account for the total amount. In this case, the total was $59.72. Typically, orders ship out of whichever warehouse is closest to you, to ensure speedy shipping. On this rare occasion, some items are sold out of your closest warehouse and need to be shipped from a more distant warehouse. We never fully charge your card until the items have left our warehouse and are on their way to your door. You were fully charged $22.71, $28.70, and $8.31 for a grand total of $59.72. The original pending hold has been released by our system, so you should see the charge released back into your account within the next 24 business hours depending on your bank."

So, the reasoning is because the canned food was coming from 2 different warehouses. But the fact is, I received both cases on the same day and both were shipped out of the same warehouse. While they did remove the charge after 48 hours, I'm disappointed they have started this new policy. They have never done this before in the 3 years I have been a customer. I have found the dog food I want on Amazon.com. Since I'm a Prime member, I get free shipping anyway so I won't have to adhere to a minimum to get the free shipping anymore. I guess since I only have a 4.5 lb Chihuahua, they won't miss me...

Original review: April 5, 2018

I have been waiting for a delivery from Chewy.com for the last 4 days. 2 day delivery is a joke. FedEx's excuse is "It's monitoring winter storms". Right! Interesting that I have received deliveries from UPS, but, it's too dangerous for FedEx drivers. There are no winter storms right now. No reason for FedEx not to deliver as promised. This is not the first time this has happened, but it will be the last. I have decided to end my auto-ship with Chewy and go to AmazonSmile. UPS delivers when they say they will. My puppy will not be at the whim of Petsmart owned Chewy.com.

Original review: April 3, 2018

My dog has to have prescription food because of a health issue, and had a question about it the first time I ordered. Not only was the reply very fast, but it was personal - obviously not an automated email, and even said that they would love to see a picture of my puppy. I sent one over (in a personal-like, non business-y emailing convo) and thought that was the end - nope! Today I received my (second) handwritten thank you card... and a hand-painted canvas of the pic that I had emailed that day. WOW. Needless to say, I will never get my pet products from anyone else. Thank you, Chewy!

Original review: April 2, 2018

We have been ordering up to $150 twice a month from Chewy. At first they were really fast (within their 1-2 day advertised delivery). And now I will be lucky to get my most recent order on the 4th day even though they told me they opened a new distribution center less than 50 miles away. When I called I was told that if you order on a weekend, FedEx will now only ship during the week. Why then should anyone rely on Chewy’s 1-2 delivery advertisement. Maybe I could just not tell my pets to eat for the extra 2 days. If I have to travel out and supplement my food order I might as well get everything for the next 2 weeks. So disappointed in them.

Updated on 04/03/2018: You will see my nightmare experience below (ordered 3/31 and Chewy and FedEx can’t track order). Now after 4 phone calls and a promise that my order will be here tonight, Chewy has to resend the order. It is now Tuesday and they said replacement will be here by Friday (coming 35 miles from their warehouse). Inexcusable PETSMART and Chewy. Appears to look like 1-2 day advertisement. 3rd time this has happened and I spend $130-$160 on each order.

Original review: April 2, 2018

We ordered prescription dog food from this company for 1.5 years. The auto-ship price was the cheapest we could find anywhere. A couple of times I misjudged when I needed the order and the customer service representatives, available at all hours, made sure my dog had food when she needed it without extra charge. However, the most amazing thing was when my dog died, I called about a brand new box of food that had just been delivered. They asked I donate it to a local shelter, credited the cost of the food back, sent the most sincere, beautiful email asking for a picture of my dog so they could celebrate her life with me, and... sent flowers the next week. We received the most support during this difficult time from an online dog food company, but it was so welcome and comforting because it felt very sincere. Please use this company! They are committed to customer service and quality and it shows!

Original review: April 2, 2018

I have been using Chewy.com for over 4 months and it is honestly the BEST company I have ever shopped online with! For example, every order I have paid for has NEVER taken more than two days to arrive. Also, if anything happens to the products, etc. they will replace it for free and or give it to you for free! The customer service at Chewy is truly the best I have used in a long time! I can't say enough good things about this great company! HIGHLY RECOMMEND if you have a pet!

Original review: March 31, 2018

I've ordered every month from Chewy for the last 6 months or so. I've never had any issues with the orders. This time, I had ordered two boxes of cat litter. Unfortunately one of them busted before it got here, and litter went everywhere. I contacted them via chat, and it was a quick and painless process of getting a replacement at no extra charge. Chewy customer service has always been friendly, fun and wonderful to interact with. I love this company. I don't think I can praise them enough.

Original review: March 30, 2018

We've done three orders so far with Chewy. 2 of those orders had to get returned due to damaged shipping. One bottle of Scout pet cleaner broke open in the package. Each time they re-shipped quickly and they even credited our entire order back on the last damaged shipment. I'm not going to dig into Chewy too hard for that since they can't control what happens during shipping. However, this is purely something for convenience. We order dog food, treats and toys and literally everything we order is the same price or cheaper at local stores. That's fine with me actually, because for the exact same price I don't have to go shopping - it gets delivered to my door.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Chewy was such a fantastic website. I mean top notch service, support, and products with the very best prices. Unaware of the PetSmart buy out, I placed an order a couple of days ago and noticed changes. The main one being almost 8 bucks in sales tax!! That alone is enough for me to find another online pet store to shop. The sales tax completely negates any savings I would normally have. I also noticed the short and robotic like responses to customers questions. They used to be so personable and helpful. They are also starting to carry more and more subpar products and the prices are rising. But the REAL reason I'm moving on to another supplier is I know how shady and fake these big corporate retailers are.

I worked for Petco for 3 years and it would blow your mind how much perfectly good product they throw in the trash instead of donating it to rescue groups or at least mark down the prices and put on clearance. Any given week they throw away dozens and dozens of bags of dog and cat food. Along with just about anything else that is returned or is minimally damaged while being shipped to the store or is accidentally damaged while being handled at the store. It can be the tiniest rip or tear and in the dumpster it goes. I will not support companies that put on a fake front, if they cared so much about animals then they would donate all that merchandise to shelters and rescue groups. I just wanted to make people aware of these large retailer's hypocritical practices. It's such a shame that Chewy sold out, I'm very disappointed. If anyone knows of a website that's similar to Chewy and is still reputable please let me know. Thanks for letting me share.

Chewy.com Company Information