3.89/5
Based on 318 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a pet store?

417 Chewy.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 22, 2018

Chewy is fantastic! Orders arrive promptly (often the next day even when I order the NIGHT before). Tonight I called customer service over night and it was equally satisfactory. I’ve been using this company for years and love the reliable reviews, excellent filters, and fantastic customer service. I highly recommend to anyone with pets! Prices and service cannot be beat!

Original review: June 16, 2018

I've given this review two stars solely because of the condition of today's delivery. I've been using Chewy.com going on a year now, and although the prices are certainly more reasonable than local stores, as well as delivery being more convenient, on no less than 3 occasions my delivery has arrived damaged. The bag of litter has been torn with litter spilled into the box and into the cases of cat food. This time the carton that a case of food came in was also damaged. I guess that's the trade-off for free shipping!

Get expert buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Ugh. I used to like Chewy's but no more. Placed an order with them last week and they charged my account twice. I have spent hours with them on the phone and my bank and still not straightened out. I'm not sure what kind of game they are playing...maybe they want the float... This is ridiculous!

Original review: June 13, 2018

Chewy, GREAT! FedEx SUCKS! They have on two occasions failed delivery despite package being 'out for delivery' - if they finish their shift before they get to you, they state "business closed" "undeliverable" which shifts blame to the customer, when it's all FedEx. They can say whatever they want while you sit at home waiting for an 'out for delivery' package that does not arrive until the following day IF you are lucky.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I ordered my cat's food which is prescription. There ended up being a whole mess with the vet office getting it approved. I received a call from a rep at Chewy who explained what was going on as she had just spoke with the vet. I ended up canceling my order because they didn't have the size bag I needed in the flavor on the prescription. My vet then called me and said that they will approve the flavor change and proceeded to contact Chewy for me. Once they finished speaking, another rep from Chewy called me to let me know of the updates and that they received the approval. It was so nice having them contact me to see what was happening and get everything worked out. Most companies will not just contact you like they did. It was very much appreciated! This is my first experience with Chewy.com and I am very pleased with the service!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chewy.com?

Original review: June 11, 2018

This is by far the best customer service ever! They emailed me that one of the treats I ordered was recalled by the manufacturer. Way to be proactive and make sure I am not giving my dog something that could make him ill. Then when I chat in to ask what I should do with the bad treats, they credit me back the cost, no hassle at all, and no return process, just go ahead and dispose of them. I have never had such an easy time dealing with a company via phone or chat, their reps are awesome. Besides all of that, I pay less for high quality grain free dog food and treats that is delivered right to my door. More convenience, better service and a lower price? Amazing!

Original review: June 11, 2018

Chewy.com surpasses all businesses I’ve dealt with. Hands down. Whenever I’ve contacted them, by phone it’s always been easy and the folks manning the phones are always courteous, personable and knowledgeable. Their prices are great, nearly always beats the competition and I love that they offer options from giant pet supply retailers that pretty much dominate the market and are expensive, making responsible pet ownership difficult and not doable for many. Furthermore, delivery has consistently been very rapid. I’m talking next day rapid!

So Chewy already made a fan out of me by the points noted above, but recently, they have outdone themselves when they gave me an UNSOLICITED refund on a dog treat I was trying out on my finicky dog. Apparently, they read my review that my dog did not like the treat and wouldn’t eat it at all. I mean, I saw the deposit in my bank account before I even noticed the email notifying me of the refund. What company does that?! I highly recommend pet owners to check out their website.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I interact with dozens of businesses, but none come close to the excellent Customer Service as Chewy's! I tried to change an order that was due to ship yesterday. They went into the warehouse to try to pull the item I no longer needed. It had already shipped, but first thing this morning I had a pre-paid return label in my email. The package arrived this morning too, less than 24 hours after placing! I have added items to my auto ship, changed the scheduled delivery dates, and even had a single item ship under the minimum. Every time customer service took care of it, including waiving the shipping one time for the single item. Service is unbeatable and prices are great too. Can't say enough great things about this company. I'd give them 10 Stars if I could!

Original review: June 6, 2018

My dogs have special dietary needs and the dog food I have been buying locally was no longer available. After looking online I found Chewy.com carried the brand and advertises 1-2 day delivery, so I ordered a bag. It arrived on time and I thought I had found a solution. I recently reordered - order went in on June 1st. Today is June 6th and I ran out of food yesterday because I expected the delivery to arrive in 1-2 days as advertised. When I contacted the company I was informed the delay was my fault because I ordered after 3pm on a Friday. There is no mention of any exceptions or restrictions on their website so I asked how I was supposed to know this and the customer representative disconnected our communication. I have found another company to get this dog food from... I will no longer be doing business with Chewy.com and will be warning my friends and family that this company’s “fast/free delivery” has strings attached.

Original review: June 4, 2018

They discontinued Grain-Free Salmon & Potato Recipe Canned Dog Food for unknown reasons, then I found the past two orders of the dry Grain-Free Salmon & Potato Recipe Dog Food the price is the same as Petco and PetSmart. The only thing is free shipping over $49 which used to be $35. Well Chewy you lost a customer!!!

Original review: May 31, 2018

I recently ordered a prescription dog food for my dog that has allergies. I ordered on Friday and got a FedEx tracking response saying a label had been created and to expect delivery on Saturday. Great, but it didn’t come. I emailed customer service and they said it was a FedEx problem but the package would be delivered on Wednesday by 8 pm -No package and FedEx still shows a label created only and a ? as to when delivery would be. I called customer service and they said my package was in limbo. I explained I could not just go to Petsmart as it was a prescription and now my dog was out of food.

I asked to speak with a customer service supervisor as the person I was speaking with was completely lost. When I finally got a supervisor they told me that the food the Vet prescribed may not be right for my dog. I don’t need a phone-a-Vet, I just really wanted what I ordered. Chewy fulfillment is in Ocala and I am in Tampa. I can walk up and get it and be faster. I still have No resolution and have been lied to 3 times. Chewy did ask me to send a sweet picture of my dog to them. I have a sweet picture to send them alright... Worst experience ever!!!!

Original review: May 31, 2018

I did my very first order online and had to call for info on how to return an item. The gentleman made the process painless. In fact, my mouth fell open when he said, "Please donate the item to a Dog Rescue."... I was thrilled and that much more impressed. It's very obvious that Chewy cares. I'm impressed and look forward to doing business again!

Original review: May 30, 2018

You have to be careful with Chewy. Their prices are constantly fluctuating, and I've never been able to figure out their claims of the retail price. (As in, "normally $18.99!") Normally $18.99? Where? The next week, the same item will say "Normally $14.99!" Many times it makes it appear that you're getting a deal, but the prices are more than your local store. I've never received an order in less than five days, so the claims of 1-2 day shipping are not true here. That being said, the convenience of getting items delivered at home is nice, as long as you skip the autoship feature, and are very aware of prices around you.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Chewy's customer service is second to none. They are unfailingly accurate and the shipments are at my door in warp speed. And so I decided to try their own brand of dog kibble for my 8 year old Collie who has been on Petcurean Now Turkey, Salmon and Duck for several years. I top this off with a few scoops of Natural Balance Lamb and Rice canned. I think it's good to vary your dog's diet. Of course, I was very careful about transitioning from the Petcurean to the American Journey Large Breed Salmon and Sweet Potato Dry Food and did this over several weeks.

My initial disappointment related to the size of the kibble which is labelled as "large breed." It was regular size, if not small. Petcurean's large breed is an enlarged kibble allowing your dog more surface contacts to chew. Her stools, which had been quite firm, became mushy and sometimes loose. I thought this might be connected with different treats I was giving her and cut out the treats. That did not make a difference. Then I transitioned back to the Petcurean and everything was normal again. The ingredients are top notch. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the food quality. It just didn't work for my dog. Staying with the Petcurean which is an excellent brand.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I am crying as I write this review. My 13 year old Chihuahua passed over on Monday. I called Chewy to tell them because I’ve been purchasing all of my dog food from them for years. I had previously ordered food for Jake but days later he passed away. They credited my account for the Farmina food I would not be using. I also have 2 Chinese Cresteds but they eat Honest Kitchen. It’s 4 days later and I just received a beautiful bouquet of flowers from Chewy! I cannot believe that even after becoming such a hugely successful company, they retained their heart and soul. I am so grateful to them for showing such empathy for the loss of my Jake. Thank you, Aaron: the young man I spoke to on Monday. Thank you, Chewy, for retaining your humanity. Exceptional customer service since day 1! I will always be a faithful and satisfied Chewy customer.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Upon several occasions, Chewy has failed to get our merchandise delivered to our front doorstep. They use Fed. Exp. and I suspect they get lazy and decide to leave the merchandise by the front gate in front of the mailboxes. We are seniors, and we order our cat litter because it's too hard to get it up the stairs from our parking garage. Leaving it by our front gate creates even more of a problem, than dragging it up from the car. This has been an issue upon several occasions, so we will not be ordering from them in the future. Does anyone else have this issue who lives in an apartment or condo complex? Maybe they need a different delivery method like UPS, Amazon or USPS.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I ordered two packages of canned dog food on May 18 and when I still hadn’t received them by end of day on May 23rd I checked my tracking number. It was still only telling me that the shipping label had been created. I contacted Chewy in Facebook to inquire about it and they were great. They are contacting FedEx to find out where my package is and have already had it reshipped. On top of that they refunded me $26.76 to make up for having to go buy some food at the store now. Exceptional customer service from the social media team.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I have been using Chewy.com for several months now and I have been so impressed with this company I felt I had to give them the praise they have earned. I am a stickler for customer service. I remember the days when businesses actually cared about keeping their customers happy & a person answered when you called with a question/concern. I find it frustrating to call a business & have to listen to 5+ options and then be told to go to their website if I’m experiencing problems with my service. That is why I appreciate Chewy.com. I’ve had occasion to call them 3 times & each time a person has answered, intelligibly stated their name and asked how they could assist me. When an item on my Auto Ship order had become unavailable I received a phone call from Chewy.com apologizing for inconvenience & asking what I’d like to order instead, if anything.

They were very patient & helpful while I perused my options and made an alternate choice. Most recently my order arrived and 1 of the items had been damaged during shipping & had gotten all over the other items. I called on a Saturday and spoke with “Janice” who apologized to me and my pets and sent out a new order which just arrived and prompted this review. The original items, other than the 1 that had leaked out into box, were in no way damaged or unusable as all were sealed in either cans, airtight bags and/or plastic containers. Today an entire duplicate order arrived in perfect condition! I will be donating the items from the first order to our local shelter. After reading some of the posted reviews, most favorable, I felt compelled to mention that in this day and age with so many websites and businesses available to the consumer, I feel that customer service should be rewarded with loyalty.

Chewy.com has earned a customer for life in me if they keep up their excellent customer service and excellent delivery service. I live in a very remote area where USPS does not deliver to individual homes and my only option is FedEx or UPS. Regrettably I will not be renewing my Amazon Prime when it expires since as they have started using the USPS I have to have Amazon orders sent to a relatives home 30 miles away. Not exactly convenient. In conclusion, my opinion is that Chewy.com is a company that stands out for its comprehensive website, its amazing selection and its outstanding commitment to providing unequaled and unique customer service.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I have been a customer of Chewy.com for a few years and recently just realized that their prices fluctuate all the time - even on AUTO-SHIP orders. Your price is not locked in and they do NOT notify you if the price changes. NOWHERE on their website do they tell you this! This is a very deceptive practice. I will no longer be buying from them. I will shop at a local store or other online retailers.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Chewy did not stock the pate my cat usually eats, so I ordered the chunk style. She refused to eat it. Chewy gave me a full refund and just asked that I donate the rest of the order (3 cases!) to a local shelter.

Original review: May 20, 2018

Have been ordering from Chewy for years & recently I'm discovering that a lot of items are cheaper at Pet SuperMarket and they send me coupons on top of lower prices! Check prices before you order! Pretty soon there will not be enough cheaper items to order to get free shipping - And that means Bye Bye Chewy!!!

Original review: May 17, 2018

Chewy.com is the best company I have ever dealt with. Not only do they have an amazing online selection but their customer service is impeccable. Their orders ship incredibly fast and my last order I received a dog cot that I ordered in chocolate and they sent me a grey one. I emailed them back to ask if the one I ordered was out of stock. Without conversation they immediately sent me a new one in the right color and didn’t even ask for the one I received in return! They asked me to donate it to a shelter or pet in need! What a fantastic company! That alone shows they truly care about our animals. They also have sent me handwritten messages since I’ve signed up. I could not be more pleased with any one person or people. It is astonishing the effort they put into caring for our pets.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Have been ordering from Chewy.com and stopped once because their prices were getting higher than the local pet store. Came back when we changed food brand and now their prices are higher again than other internet retailers. Also, our last auto ship was canceled when they were out of the food we ordered. Since we haven't received food for 6 weeks now I called and was told I canceled the last auto ship and when speaking to a supervisor she changed to "We automatically cancel orders when we're out of stock". Very uncomfortable to deal with individuals who lie for no reason. We canceled our auto ship orders from Chewy.com as will be doing our other two family members who we recommended to buy from Chewy.com. Do a search online for the products you're purchasing from Chewy.com and you might save yourself some money.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Chewy is an awesome business. One of my dogs is eating prescription food. Their shipment arrived more than timely. My dog was not satisfied after a few cans of eating the brand. Chewy issued a return label, took back all of the remaining and issued a full refund. This is a first. The emergency vet gave me samples of another food which was easy to find on Chewy and so I ordered that. Their prices are unmatched, customer service is unmatched and my complete satisfaction is, for sure unmatched. Love Chewy. I will check Chewy before I shop at stores or Veterinarians for anything that my dogs need.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I Purchased $148 worth of products from Chewy.com. They do some creative accounting with your money. They put a hold on my account for $148, and then charged when they shipped the product. They tied up my money twice for the same order and They still have not released my money.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I just wanted to give a shout out to Chewy for amazing customer service! This is just a bonus as the company already has won me over with their excellent prices and super fast shipping! I order one day and receive it within 48 hours! And the prices are awesome! I was paying so much more for their treats in stores! I heard about this company through a friend who told me a story about the amazing customer service reps who sent flowers to a family after their dog passed and they called to cancel the autoship. It’s just such a great way to honor your furry customers! Then today I received a coupon for $15 off my first order and when I called them to see if I could still use it even though it wasn’t my first order, they said absolutely and honored the coupon and placed my order for me! I will always be a customer and will tell every furparent about Chewy!

Original review: May 9, 2018

While on a road trip away from home with my dog I received a call that my grandmother was dying - I needed a pet carrier urgently for our flight to grandma's house. When the delivery service did not arrive on time, not only did Chewy give me a full, no questions asked, refund but they also donated the pet carrier to the local animal shelter. Chewy will have my business forever, thanks so much to the kind people there.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I have been ordering dog products, bird products and cat products from this company for approximately six years now and their service has been exceptional. I usually order online but if I have to call-in anyone you speak to is exceptionally knowledgeable, extremely nice and lovely to speak to. Their shipping is always fast. Usually two days and usually cheaper than what you can get it in any store. I'll never anything from anybody else and I always recommend it to all my friends. If you ever have a question you call them, they take their time with you and they will answer all your questions. I love Chewy, I had one of my dogs die and they found out about it and they sent me flowers, you cannot find any other business that will do that, and that's the truth. Oh by the way if you're shipping is over $49 your shipping is always free!

Original review: May 8, 2018

After several years using Petfooddirect.com for my pets' needs, that company closed and accounts were directed to Chewy. Since then, I have repeatedly experienced problems with items that were not properly packaged. The boxes were too big, with no packing material to keep the product from moving, or were too small and split at the corners. Strong packing tape was not used, and the cellophane tape was frequently ripped. Often, the tape didn't even cover the opening in the box but was just slapped on haphazardly. I have complained several times by phone.

Customer service has been unfailing polite, and damaged goods have been replaced. Other than the packaging, I am satisfied with the company, since their prices are reasonable, delivery is prompt, and there is good variety of products. But I am ready to stop using the company because of the problems with packaging. Despite regular complaints, there is no noticeable improvement, with at least half of my orders arriving damaged. The last one I received about three weeks ago had one bag (of three) of cat litter that was ripped, but I managed to salvage most of it and didn't complain.

But the package that arrived today was worse even than usual. I immediately saw that the box was damaged, but the tape was mostly intact and nothing was leaking out, so I took it to my apartment without mishap. But when I opened it, I wound up with cat litter all over my floor. One of the bags had a large crossways slit in it, and about half the litter had spilled out. Also in the package was a container of Temptations cat treats, which are packaged at the factory in a very sturdy hard-plastic canister, that is sealed with a very sturdy plastic adhesive strip across the top.

Under the lid is another clear flexible plastic cover that is to be removed so that the treats are accessible through a little flap in the lid. The container had obviously been crushed, and then there were several cracks down the side. Where the lid was supposed to be on the top, the strip that holds it on was damaged, and the lid was broken. Even the inside plastic film was ripped, and some of the litter from the ripped bag had gotten inside the treats.

I am a senior citizen with some mobility problems, and rely on the internet for the bulk of my shopping. Chewy is the only merchant who has presented this kind of chronic problems. This also adds to the problem of having to clean up the mess when cat litter gets all over my floor. I'd like to stay with Chewy, but am afraid I will have to change. Now I see from other reviews that Chewy has been bought by PetSmart, which means I should beware of switching to that company.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I loved Chewy so I'm actually really disappointed to be leaving this review but I don't want someone to end up in my situation. I've ordered from them at least ten times and they were usually good. Recently, I'd say the last three times, have been horrible. The cat food bag came ripped. And in another order, the litter box top was off so litter spilled everywhere in my house. The package it came in was really beat up and the litter that was spilled inside spilled out from the package too. And most recently, my order is taking over a week to come and it's not supposed to take that long. Their customer service is pretty good, they do deserve credit for that. But I am very busy and when problems keep arising I don't have time to call and have them resend stuff. Anyway, if things get better I'll leave a good review. I will give them another chance. But I sadly can't say I recommend them anymore at this moment.

Chewy.com Company Information