2.7/5 (123 ratings)

About Chewy.com

Chewy is an online pet supply retailer that offers a wide variety of foods, treats, supplies, and medicines. Customers can purchase goods for a wide variety of pets ranging from dogs and cats to horses and reptiles. The company provides access to over 2000 brands and has many convenience features such as autoship and 24/7 customer service.

Chewy.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chewy.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chewy.com?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2022

After the Covid shortages I started using Chewy to buy my dog food since they were one of the companies selling it. I have had nothing by excellent customer service and shipping times. Recently I messed up and was short on dog food. I ordered it through my chewy app and it arrived the next day.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

We received the goody box as a gift for our 8 month old toy Aussiedoodle puppy. In less than 24 hours, she chewed a hole in the tug rope. Upon examination, the material was very thin and the seam not well sewn. When I contacted Chewy customer service, they were apologetic, but would not replace the item because it was part of a box. She is also not fond of the pumpkin broth at all and dumped her food bowl when I poured a little on. I've not previously done business with Chewy.com and am doubtful I will in the future.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

I placed my first order for my cat's medication 7-10 days before I needed it. I even inputted the information for the clinic that she goes to in order for Chewy to get approval faster. After 1 week they were still processing the order so I contacted customer service. I was told that the issue was sent to their pharmacy department.

I then contacted their pharmacy department explaining my cat needed her medication and asked what the hold-up was and sent a picture of the prescription. Well, that is when they started to tell me that the inability to get approval was MY FAULT because I put in the wrong clinic information.

I mean I know where I took my cat for care but since the prescribing vet works out of other clinics and the prescription had a different address on it I must not have realized I took her to a different clinic. Instead of apologizing for the constant (and I have all of my emails to show this) berating of my intelligence, they continue to tell me I am in the wrong and they will fill the order in 7-10 days instead of what I am asking and getting the NEEDED medication to me ASAP. I would cancel the order and start over with 1800PetMeds but I cannot have any more delays, however I will not be returning. I chose Chewy because of reviews I read, but I have no idea what company those reviews were actually talking about.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2022

This company is "Amazing". They have the "Best Customer Service" of any company I Know! They have the nicest, sweetest, most caring people to speak with in Customer Service. They are ALWAYS helpful. I greatly appreciate this company and their people. They always go above and beyond. Thank you Chewy and Crew for ALL that you do ..

Karla <3

Original review: Oct. 21, 2022

The customer service at Chewy.com is second to none. They go above and beyond when it comes to helping and pleasing customers. I even wrote a review about a food that my cat didn't like, and I didn't expect anything out of it since my cat is extremely picky. They reached out to me after reading my review and refunded my money!! As well as offering free shipping on the next order!

Out of the years that I've been ordering from them, I've had only one occasion where I received the wrong product, and they shipped the correct food ASAP without me having to send the other back. That was last year. They have also include free shipping for orders $35 and you get your products within a few days thru FedEx so you're able to track exactly where it is and set up alerts. Never have I gotten this type of service from Petco or PetSmart.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2022

The pharmacy consists of distracted employees working at home. They aren’t very bright or capable. After months of trying to get one medication sent regularly in a timely manner, I gave up. Some days I called them 4 times. They just don’t listen. They keep using a “portal” which my vet doesn’t use. They cannot send a fax to the correct number. They lied several times and say it was resent when it wasn’t. They’re lazy and feign interest. Different employee every time. They slur their names so it’s impossible to know who you are counting on.

Chewy failed our family dog two out of four months we used their service. It must be a miserable job there. A temporary gig at best. Probably a few criminals who cannot work anywhere publicly. Don’t believe the phony “caring” voice on the phone. It’s scripted. Don’t let your doggo eat the cheap wheat laden biscuit they’ll send either!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

I have been a loyal Chewy customer since 2015. I love their auto ship feature because we get busy with life/work and forget to order or pick up dog/cat food at retail. I receive notification that order is in process to ship so in case you need to change up dates. It’s convenient and the online customer service is prompt and they go above and beyond to make their customer pawsitively happy. They quickly handled an adjustment to my recent order cost due to my misunderstanding of a promotion. I am very thankful for their service in all the above ways they service their customers. Thank you Kaila M. (Customer service) for the pawsome assistance! Products are also in great condition when delivered. Never had any issues.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

I placed an order with Chewy in September. I paid nearly $140. It was my first time ordering with them. I expected a far better experience with them because they come recommended. Instead, what I got was ripped off. They took the $140 from my bank account, cancelled my order then never returned the money into my bank account. In that exact order! When I called them and asked them about it, they gave me the run around that the money was never removed from my account because they cancelled my order. I keep a very close eye on my balance, poor people have to do that so they know. I watched my account very closely. That $140 was never returned to the bank. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THEM TO ANYONE!!!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2022

I recently bought dog food and unfortunately my dog passed away before I could even open it. I contacted Chewy and asked to return it and they immediately refunded my money, expressed their condolences in a warm way, and told me to donate it to whomever I wanted to. I thought this was amazing. THEN, I just received flowers with a beautiful note expressing their condolences. This is so far above and beyond any customer service I have ever experienced from pretty much any company. I appreciate this kindness and customer outreach beyond any words. This is A+++ customer service and a really great business model. Customers will remember this treatment. I most certainly will. Thank you Chewy!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

These companies push you to auto ship but prescriptions change and if it happens before you get a chance to cancel l you can be stuck holding the bag on some very expensive prescriptions and in my case I was happy that they told me they canceled it but it still arrived anyway. AND then I was told that only the authorship was canceled and not the outgoing order. But I know what I heard.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

I used Chewy for years and never had an issue. Placed an order for a dog's prescriptions eight days ago. This is for a life threatening condition. It has never taken more than 5 days prior. Today on the web site I found my prescriptions have been cancelled. They lied and said they called me and also e-mailed me. The vet didn't fill it for the first day so instead of calling me they cancelled it. Until today the order status was "shipping in two business days". My dog has been without the meds for five days now. So done.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

I placed an order through Chewy.com for my lizards. I received confirmation on the order, but the next day I received an email that I need to call and verify information with them. After making the call and verifying everything, I was told they will ship the order. After waiting a few more days, I looked into the order and I was told it was cancelled, not shipped. I emailed their support, explaining the whole process I went through, looking for insight and help on the issue. Their response was that I need to contact support to verify my information. Clearly ignoring the details of my email, they have shown they don't care about the details, or the small things. Terrible reliability.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

My little 2-year-old Shih Tzu mix stopped drinking water. It was a Sunday and I decided to use the Vet Chat at Chewy to get some advice. The website said it was "free if you use auto-ship" which I did so I signed up. The "vet" that came on was totally useless and did NOTHING but send me links for toys and repeat over and over "Awww...poor Charlie". After 20 minutes of trying to get a useful comment out of this little girl I disconnected and was grateful I didn't have to pay for that nonsense. I was wrong...I was immediately charged $14.99 for nothing but chatting with an obvious nonmedical person. Chewy refused to refund my money and now I have to open a case with Paypal. I know we live in a world of no customer service anymore but this was ridiculous!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2022

On two occasions now I’ve encountered stocking issues where I was informed *after* a purchase was made that the item I bought wasn’t in stock. Despite appearing to give me a choice to cancel my order or not via the notification email, the reality is that a cancellation and subsequent refund are the *only* approaches to rectifying said issue, even when the item is predicted to be back in stock shortly.

There’s no excuse to tie up additional charges, however temporary, on my account when exchanges (or simply the exact purchase, applied at a later date) or store credit could be used as an alternative option in the way that many retailers offer instead of requiring that the customer accept the delayed refund only to circle back and repurchase later; particularly when it is a result of inconveniences that, though understandable, are in no way the fault of the customer. Customer service is friendly and prompt, but it doesn’t change the fact that this is a poor way of passing the buck and I’m over having to deal with the repeated headache.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

This was the worst experience I've ever had with a store. First they denied my prescription even though my vet approved it and we had to start the order entirely over. Then they put down the wrong shipping address (Why. I don't know as my address was listed CORRECTLY when I ordered this product online). Then it took 10 phone calls to get the address corrected... Nobody there seemed to care that they (Chewy) changed it internally to a wrong address after they cancelled it the first time by mistake. Then it didn't go out on time due to all the issues with Chewy. Finally, I needed this product desperately as it was a mare of mine that was having health issues and time was of the essence to treat her.

The day they were supposed deliver the product the service they used did not deliver it to me (but stated it was delivered). I repeatedly had to call Chewy to locate the package. The manager was arrogant and basically couldn't care less of the urgency I needed this medication. He stated I needed to file a police report and email that in and the following week they would ship out the product. He did not want to help me whatsoever even though I stated this medication was for a mare whose health was declining and this delay was seriously affecting her health. I have witnesses who looked for the package earlier at the mailboxes (that is where they stated to have delivered it) and we also thoroughly searched around the house to make sure it wasn't put somewhere else.

At about 6:30 pm I was advised by my neighbor (I had been making calls to make sure it wasn't delivered to someone else I knew in the vicinity) to go to all the subdivisions and check their mailbox stations. On my way out I found the package in the driveway (wasn't there when I came home at 5 pm or when the neighbor checked for me at 3 pm). All I can think is someone got the package by mistake at a different location and decided to drop it off at my address this evening. My entire experience with Chewy was absolutely HORRIBLE. The way they continually screwed up a time sensitive order then treated me as if I was the criminal that stole the package is unbelievable. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY IF YOU NEED MEDICATION THROUGH THE PHARMACY.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2022

Chewy used to be the place for products and great customer service. After the past couple months of getting spoiled (actually exploded in packaging) products, which were refunded, but they never resolved the issue with the warehouse after numerous requests for investigation, because you would order them and still were damaged before shipping. Prices on site, are not always honored. They reply it's only a certain size, or flavor even though you get an email with the price of the product. When speaking to customer service, if there's an issue, they rather be rid of you than try to resolve. After over 10 years of being an auto delivery customer, they couldn't care less or even ask why, when I asked to be removed. Certainly, things have changed, maybe they have enough customers now that they don't need to care.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

Ordered 3 bottles of ** for my cat. Was Supposed to be 3 sealed bottles. Instead they sent me 300 pills in a medicine bottle. No seal. No expiration date. They won't do a refund and send me sealed bottles as advertised. I will never order from them again!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

I want to give a HUGE shout-out to Chewy.com. I have used them for years for their convenience and prices but NOW.... They are an amazing company. 1. I called to say I just got an order in and it is unopened. That my dog passed. She was clearly understanding on the phone and refunded my money and asked if I would just donate or pass it on in name of our dog. 2. She stated they are open 24/7 and if I ever need to talk, they are here for me. 3. Yesterday when I got home from work, There was a bouquet of flowers waiting for me with their condolences. AMAZING!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2022

How could anyone give Chewy less than a 5 star review? We've been customers for 7+ years and LOVE this company. We've ordered dozens, if not hundreds, of items from them. They have real customer service- like, an actual person picks up when you call and deals with your ask right away, with clear communication. Or same over chat. If there is an issue with an order or you don't like a product, they will often just refund it entirely and ask you to donate the item rather than shipping it back. That's happened 3x to us. How amazing is that? I don't know how they stay in business being so generous to their customers but we are lifelong customers as a result.

They almost always have the products we're looking for at prices as good or often better than the local stores. However, we also shop/ support our local pet stores as we like to support them, so try to balance both. Highly recommend Chewy to any pet owner. (I have zero affiliation with the company, just a happy customer).

Original review: Aug. 13, 2022

After being extremely happy with Chewy.com for years, they have a new security system, which for some reason red flags my orders requiring me to make several "verification" calls by phone. Often delaying my shipments by a week or longer. One order was delayed over 2 weeks. I am understanding of glitches in new start ups however every single order since this has been required, because one phone call never gets the job done. I have never cheated the company and this has been going on for months. They cannot give me a reason for the constant red flag which is unacceptable. I have canceled my Chewy account with great sadness but one morning it took over 30 minutes to get verified only days later still have the order remain canceled. I hope they get their security issues fixed but 2 months is too long being targeted when I know people that are not.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2022

Their website is user friendly, they have great prices, shipping insanely fast and they know pets are not just animals...they are family members! They even send our dog & cat birthday cards! Love it!!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

I was a loyal Chewy customer for years for all of our pets, however, no longer. In the past several months, their customer service has gone wildly downhill. They used to have top notch customer support who would give really good advice and helpful input on everything from cat food to dog toys. No longer. Most of the time now, packages are never on time. I routinely receive notices that "your item has been damaged en route" with instructions to call Chewy to place a new order, which is a huge inconvenience. If the package is damaged en route and never arrives and the carrier notifies both me and Chewy, Chewy should take the initiative to send a replacement order (an apology would be nice, too, but you'll never get one). Then, you're on hold until someone who makes it clear they would rather be doing anything except customer service comes on to grudgingly replace your order.

Chewy also recently opened an online pet pharmacy which sounds great and convenient until you try to use it. I had one good experience but, after that, it was a disaster. They lost my paper prescription that they required I send them by snail mail, at my expense, and then claimed my vet refused to approve two prescriptions. When I contacted my vet, they were shocked and said Chewy never reached out to them. They sent me an email confirming that, which I forwarded to Chewy. Chewy said there was nothing they could do. That makes no sense.

At one point, I asked to speak to a manager. A very angry sounding woman who identified herself as Veronica or Victoria came on and said I was required to submit to being on a recorded line. I said no problem and I would record as well. She said she didn't consent to me recording; that only Chewy had the "right" to record (with?) and then hung up on me when I questioned that. Why so afraid? Because you know you're going to give terrible customer service? Everything you can get on Chewy, you can also get online from other providers or, better, from your local pet supply stores. The only thing Chewy had going for it was its convenience and, prior to a few months ago, the formerly good customer support. There's simply no reason to use this company any longer.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

I have been using Chewy for years!. They deliver directly to my front door. The deliveries are always fast and on time. If I have ever have a problem with anything, they fix it. If my cat or dog does not like the items I order for food. They replace it Free, and ask me to donate the product to a local Animal Shelter. Customer Service are always kind, understanding and just Fix it. I am disabled and cannot express how helpful this service is to me and my pets. Just love them.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

My dog has a progressive disease. I ordered the medication on 7/22 and as of today, 8/3, still have not received it. I am completely out of medication. I will NEVER order from Chewy.com again and warn others- if you are ordering medication, order from another pet med company or, if you’re going to take your chances with Chewy, order WAY, WAY in advance.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2022

Chewy auto shipped a product that I did not have an auto ship request for and will not refund the charge nor will they accept a return for credit. I would not have agreed to have the product shipped. They are being most unfair and I would suggest that consumers be very careful in using this company. They were in fact a good company to deal with but I believe this has recently changed dramatically.

Original review: July 28, 2022

I decided to try Chewy's new line of dog food, "American Journey" limited Ingredient, Lamb & Sweet Potato. It's been a week and my dog is getting physically worse with his stools. Today he had severe diarrhea all over the house. At the end he produced approx. 2 Tablespoons of bright red blood. He's a 3 year-old healthy Pit Bull. I contacted Chewy to tell them how my dog was responding to their food and asked if they are outsourcing any ingredients from China. They gal looked into it and said, the last answer to this question was in 2020 and they stated they were getting vitamins and minerals from China. It's 2022 now and we know that it's even harder to get ingredients now, so how much are they getting from China now?

In 2007 my little dogs almost died from what China was putting in dog food, Melamine. I had to give my dogs IV solution 2 x a day for months to save their lives, I was a part of that Class Action Lawsuit, I don't want to go through this again! I asked if they would pay for my dog to go to the vet. They told me, IF my Vet thinks it was from the dog food then the bills would go to their legal department to see if they would. I'm very curious what else they are now getting from China? I don't trust that government at all! We need to full disclosure for all our animals food.

I tried this one because it "appeared" to be good. I will stick with the expensive high end food and no longer trust the Big Box or Chewy for my animals. I am also going to make his food, which will be $$$$ since he's young and 75 lbs. I contacted the FDA just in case. When you've gone through almost losing a dog due to American companies wanting to save money and there isn't really any oversight on our pet food, you become a bit paranoid. I just wanted to give people a heads up in case their dogs start having diarrhea or vomiting.

Original review: July 28, 2022

I sent 2 prescriptions on 2 occasions to Chewy pharmacy. I call them and they claim they never got them. I had to drive 1/2 hr to vet to get prescriptions. This happened twice. I have spent 2 hrs trying to resolve issue today. I would not recommend using

Original review: July 25, 2022

I recently lost my cat, Michka, who had been on prescription diet for years. Chewy gave me a refund for a new case I had just ordered for him, and also had me donate it to a local shelter. Then, today I received flowers with a very touching sympathy note. They certainly go above and beyond. I highly recommend them to anyone with fur babies.

Original review: July 22, 2022

Same story as others, placed order as existing client. Vet was contacted and sent in refill. Days go by and I get Chewy email, no response from vet received and forward to the vet. Two days later receive the same Chewy email again and vet, THE SAME DAY, approved refill for the second time. 10 days later, no meds! Go to my Chewy account and pharmacy cancelled it, without notice claiming the vet didn't respond. I gave dates and times they refilled and surprised, they found the TWO refills approved by the vet. Now, instead of them seeing it as a duplicate, they interpreted their failure as a request for two of the same product, instead of refill it twice. Worse than that, they tried to claim they received them both "yesterday" yet they had cancelled the refill.

That was Monday of this week. It is Thursday. Almost a full month since requesting the refill. Status on my chewy account shows they are claiming they received the Rx 3 days ago, not almost a month ago. They still didn't send it out until 3 days after their screw-up notification instead of making it a priority. It MIGHT be here before the weekend. Almost a full month after ordering and more than 3 weeks after the vet called in the refill twice because they claim the first was not received. They are sending me two, in error at my cost, instead of one refill and one held in abeyance. I decided rather than cancel the duplicate which they would surely mess up, to keep it and hope what they send won't expire. It has become a clown show at the pharmacy with no ownership.

Original review: July 21, 2022

I've been using Chewy's autoship for cat/dog food for awhile now. I have 5 pets so the boxes are quite heavy. Every single month, the FedEx drivers leave these really heavy boxes all the way on the street instead of bringing it to my porch. My husband and I are disabled and cannot carry these, we usually have to wait for our neighbor to be available.

Last month, I chatted with a Chewy rep and asked him if he can handle this or should I call Fedex. He promised me he would handle it and make a complaint to the higher ups at Chewy, he told me this would not happen again. Well, today the heavy boxes were left on the street again. I'm blaming Chewy since I was promised by their rep this would not happen again and since they choose to use Fedex for delivery instead of a better service. I cancelled my entire autoship order and will not use Chewy again since they cannot seem to ensure my boxes are left near my door (like the rep told me would happen). If you're disabled, or if you're unable to carry heavy items, Chewy may not be for you.

Chewy.com Company Information