3.0/5 (132 ratings)

About Chewy.com

Chewy is an online pet supply retailer that offers a wide variety of foods, treats, supplies, and medicines. Customers can purchase goods for a wide variety of pets ranging from dogs and cats to horses and reptiles. The company provides access to over 2000 brands and has many convenience features such as autoship and 24/7 customer service.

Chewy.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chewy.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chewy.com?

Original review: July 25, 2022

I recently lost my cat, Michka, who had been on prescription diet for years. Chewy gave me a refund for a new case I had just ordered for him, and also had me donate it to a local shelter. Then, today I received flowers with a very touching sympathy note. They certainly go above and beyond. I highly recommend them to anyone with fur babies.

Original review: July 22, 2022

Same story as others, placed order as existing client. Vet was contacted and sent in refill. Days go by and I get Chewy email, no response from vet received and forward to the vet. Two days later receive the same Chewy email again and vet, THE SAME DAY, approved refill for the second time. 10 days later, no meds! Go to my Chewy account and pharmacy cancelled it, without notice claiming the vet didn't respond. I gave dates and times they refilled and surprised, they found the TWO refills approved by the vet. Now, instead of them seeing it as a duplicate, they interpreted their failure as a request for two of the same product, instead of refill it twice. Worse than that, they tried to claim they received them both "yesterday" yet they had cancelled the refill.

That was Monday of this week. It is Thursday. Almost a full month since requesting the refill. Status on my chewy account shows they are claiming they received the Rx 3 days ago, not almost a month ago. They still didn't send it out until 3 days after their screw-up notification instead of making it a priority. It MIGHT be here before the weekend. Almost a full month after ordering and more than 3 weeks after the vet called in the refill twice because they claim the first was not received. They are sending me two, in error at my cost, instead of one refill and one held in abeyance. I decided rather than cancel the duplicate which they would surely mess up, to keep it and hope what they send won't expire. It has become a clown show at the pharmacy with no ownership.

Original review: July 21, 2022

I've been using Chewy's autoship for cat/dog food for awhile now. I have 5 pets so the boxes are quite heavy. Every single month, the FedEx drivers leave these really heavy boxes all the way on the street instead of bringing it to my porch. My husband and I are disabled and cannot carry these, we usually have to wait for our neighbor to be available.

Last month, I chatted with a Chewy rep and asked him if he can handle this or should I call Fedex. He promised me he would handle it and make a complaint to the higher ups at Chewy, he told me this would not happen again. Well, today the heavy boxes were left on the street again. I'm blaming Chewy since I was promised by their rep this would not happen again and since they choose to use Fedex for delivery instead of a better service. I cancelled my entire autoship order and will not use Chewy again since they cannot seem to ensure my boxes are left near my door (like the rep told me would happen). If you're disabled, or if you're unable to carry heavy items, Chewy may not be for you.

Original review: July 20, 2022

They ship quickly and accurately. If there is a problem it is quickly resolved with a phone call. I once had a product damaged in shipment. One phone call and I had a replacement within 24 hours. Once during the pandemic, there were shortages of Henry's prescription food. I called and explained that I had completely run out of his food. The agent on the phone contacted multiple warehouses while I was on the phone and got me a partial shipment shipped that day. Henry was thankful and so was I. :)

Original review: July 18, 2022

This is how every successful company should run. The customer service is beyond amazing and they immediately fixed a package that went to my old address where the person now there kept it and wouldn't give it back. Not their fault but the woman immediately arranged for the same items to be delivered to my current address. My friend said that when her dog died a few years back, they sent flowers!!!! I believe this is a family-based company and I love purchasing from "the smaller stores" (Even though Chewy is now huge. Lol.) They will have my business forever.

Original review: July 17, 2022

These people need to do BETTER. Completely disorganized and incompetent. Create false orders. Even tell you package was received and after more than 30 emails they are unable to get it straight. Nightmare!

Original review: July 17, 2022

I've been a customer of Chewy for a few years, and recently ordered $50 worth of pet supplies just after moving across the country. I realized the day the shipment was supposed to arrive that I'd accidentally sent the package to my old address, and contacted customer support to see if it could be redirected. Unfortunately it was too late, but they actually sent me another new box for free, even though it was 100% my fault to begin with! I'm shocked they'd just give out so much without so much as questioning it or even making me pay for shipping. Thank you Chewy!

Original review: July 16, 2022

My dog is insulin-dep diabetic and requires Rx food. 2 week autoship barely has spare days in between refill. They notify me the day it ships, that they are out of stock. No early warning and all local out of stock too. Really upsetting since blood sugar levels can go crazy with wrong food. I no longer use their services.

Original review: July 12, 2022

I've never been a Chewy customer, so I decided to give them a try. Accessing their website was impossible, as every time I tried to I was redirected to an error page. After trying a few more times, I called the number that the error page offered, and the representative I got said there was nothing that they could do. I offered them the reference number the error page provided, but was instead reassured that they could do nothing about it. Seems like a major problem if prospective customers can't even get to the home page, but it seems they do not care.

Original review: July 9, 2022

I used to like Chewy because of their 1-2 day delivery policy. This is what they posted. Then I noticed that deliveries were taking a week or more. I just gave them another chance and my delivery will be coming by truck from Florida to California and will take 10 days. I can get the same items, often for less cost, from Amazon in 1-2 days. Chewy has changed and the delivery claims on their website are dishonest.

Original review: July 8, 2022

I can't say enough about how bad this vendor is! I ordered one 30lb bag of dog food and a box of poop bags on 06/23/2020. Five days went by and it hadn't shipped, so on 06/29/2020, I called Chewy. An agent informed me that because I was a new client, I should have received an email from their security dept., which would ask me to answer some questions, so they could determine that I was legitimate. I informed the agent that I did not receive the email. She checked her records, and verified that no email had been sent. She also stated that it looked like the security dept. had dropped the ball. With that, she asked me a few questions, which I answered correctly, and stated that the security dept. would review my answers. If all answers were correct, my order would ship asap.

That night I received another email from Chewy asking me to change my password. I complied. The next day I received an email containing an apology and a little lecture explaining why I should not have ordered late in the week. I also received another notice saying my items had shipped. (Yay!) On 07/02/2020, the large Chewy box arrived with both items and no padding, consequently the dog bag had been ripped open, and some of the dog food had escaped. I sent a message to Chewy explaining how dissatisfied I was, and they responded by sending a replacement 30 lb bag. Big deal! What a pain in the you know what! My advice is to find a different vendor who has their act together.

Original review: July 5, 2022

I have been ordering ** from Chewy and I received a bottle that was only a quarter full and was told they would replace it only to receive an email 2 days later saying they would not. They totally resented their offer of the replacement. The Pharmacy division is different from the retail side and do not uphold the 100% Satisfaction guarantee as the retail side does. After several phone calls even to their Florida Headquarters, no one called me back. This drug was over $227.00 and should have 4 ML in the bottle and barely had enough dose for 1.2 ML. I would NOT recommend the Pharmacy portion of this company. They are very rude and do not stand behind the 100% guarantee that Chewy.com so proudly advertises nor their word they would send it to me by two different Pharmacists and then did not. Also, very poor customer service on their part.

Original review: July 2, 2022

I am not trying to be rude but the customer service needs to do a lot better. I placed an order on June 23rd for a prescription Nexgard flea medication for my 5 dogs who all weigh the same. For like 2 weeks straight they’ve been suffering from fleas and they keep biting and scratching on their bodies. It’s so bad you can see the redness on their tails and backs. I usually order the same flea medication from 1-800 pet meds but I decided to try something new after I saw your holiday deals. I am now sure I will never order from here again.

After I placed my order on June 23rd I understood that before the order can go through they have to contact my vet and confirm the prescription. It took them all the way to June 29TH to ask me to verify my information even though I had already placed an order from this site before and I had no problems. I called out to y’all and I confirmed my information to a nice lady at around 10:38 pm and she told me my order would be shipped out shortly.

The next day I get an email saying that my order has been canceled because I needed to verify my info even though I already verified it. I quickly sent out an email saying that I already verified my information and provided proof of it. Chewy emailed back saying that I was right about me verifying my information and asked me if I wanted to place my order again so I asked them to replace my order. Then the next few days the same email is sent out that my order has been canceled and that I need to verify my info.

This has been happening every day since June 29TH and today I Decided to call again and I asked them to place my order again because my dogs are almost at the point where they’re bleeding from so much biting and scratching. I ask the lady how much longer the order was gonna take and she told me they haven’t even contacted my vet about the prescription. And that they probably won’t be able to reach out to the vet until after the holidays. Then she said I’m probably not going to get my order not this week coming up but the next. When this whole time they could have contacted my vet after June 23rd when I originally placed my order. I’m sorry but I can’t wait two more weeks for my dogs to get their flea meds when I placed it almost two weeks ago. I'm really disappointed with the service and that you guys are extending my dogs' suffering.

Original review: July 2, 2022

I’ve been buying my dog food through Chewy for a couple of years now and it’s always been a good experience with unbeatable prices and fast shipping. Recently unfortunately, my beloved dog Emma passed away. She was the cutest chi weenie ever and looked like a puppy still at 13 years old… Anyways, I had her medication on Autoship with Chewy for only about 2 months but had to call and cancel the Autoship which was due to be delivered in two days. They were so kind and instantly refunded me for the medication whether it had shipped already or not. They just made it all so easy for me at a really difficult time.

A few days later my doorbell rang and I received flowers in a vase and was in complete shock when I read the note that Chewy had written in condolences for my loss. To some people pets are just pets but to my family they’ve always been just like our children so Emma will be sincerely missed and it really meant a lot that Chewy took the time to make it important. It was very wonderful of Chewy to go to the lengths they did for us, I still can’t believe they sent us flowers, thank you so much, I will forever be a customer.

Original review: July 1, 2022

Wanted to use Chewy because I was told by a friend that they work great and offer good deals while saving the time of not having to go to the store. First experience was ok. Discounts were good. One part of the order was quick the other took over a week. They ask to make a profile of your animal so they can better help you shop. I searched for Kong treat toys for my puppy and they showed me the small size. I have had these toys for grown dogs and assumed the small would be just that. My puppy on profile is a Saint Bernard. I didn't even know they made them as small as it was. He would have swallowed it instantly.

The next time I ordered more dog food and started an auto ship with it. I had just swapped cards on my account with what seemed no hiccups. Then 4 days later I wondered why my order still said "preparing shipment". I called and they said my account was flagged for fraud because I changed cards. Both cards have my name on them that match my account info. At the end of a ** conversation, the person says it has been fixed and my order should get moving. 2 days later, still nothing. I call again and let them have it and all they say is sorry, they sent a message to the fraud department and should be fixed soon. No discount offer for the problems, No guarantee it will be here expedited. Nothing. Don't waste your money with these people.

Original review: June 30, 2022

Chewy went out of their way to fix my problem. My order included a liquid pond chemical as well as a variety of dog and cat food and litter. When it arrived, I found the pond chemical had been crushed in transit and leaked all over the contents of the box. Apparently, FedEx reboxed the contents throwing all of the items into a large plastic bag, further making worse the problem with several of the cans of food being smashed. When I called customer support, the agent went out of her way to correct the situation, including resending the entire order which arrived the next day! I couldn't ask for better help and support! Thanks Chewy!

Original review: June 29, 2022

Worst service ever. I've been trying to get auto ship setup for a medication I'm paying for on a friend's account who can't afford it. It took four phone calls to try and get it set up correctly and they still screwed it up. I told them after the second or third call on their recorded line, with my friend being on the phone with me, to have their supervisors pull the previous calls and fix the problem. I never heard back from them.

Today, they charged my card before the first of the month, thereby overdrawing my account. When I called to get this corrected, they can't find either of our accounts under her phone number, my phone number, her email address, my email address, my mailing address or her address so, they can't even find the order. They said they would have to cancel the order in order to refund the money and then set it up to ship again on the 1st. Now, how do you cancel an order you can't even find? How do you put back in an order you can't even find? I'm definitely ditching this company as right now I would trust them about as far as I can throw a pregnant elephant, uphill, with telekinesis. Their level of incompetence is astounding.

Original review: June 28, 2022

I used to be a loyal monthly shopper on Chewy.com. However, recently someone hacked my account on Chewy and made four distinct purchases, three of which were addressed to other individuals in two states where I do not reside. While chewy was sympathetic to my plight and closed my account, they have not reimbursed me for three out of the four orders. I will never order from chewy again if I do not receive reimbursement. Their site is not a well protected site from fraud.

Original review: June 27, 2022

Truly a wonderful company that is helpful, courteous, efficient, thoughtful and most definitely compassionate. They truly have a wonderful customer service dept. I’m also extremely moved by their compassion and thoughtfulness at the time I lost two of my beloved fur babies 2 months apart. My husband and I were presented with flowers and beautiful sympathy card for our first fur love and a gorgeous painting of our 2nd fur baby. There’s another fur baby on its way to our household and I’ll always entrust my fur babies' needs and wants with Chewy!

Original review: June 27, 2022

Why isn't no stars an option? They say they will send medication to my dog every month, but the second monthly shipment will arrive 5 days late. I asked for two things:

1) That chewy change the schedule so that my girl will get her medication at least 5 days earlier in the future. They refused, saying that I have to make a special request every month that this be done.

2) I asked that a five day supply be overnighted to me so that my girl would have some of the medication until the late shipment arrived. This was also refused.

Chewy.com sucks. I hope I can find the same medication elsewhere.

Original review: June 25, 2022

We had never had a puppy and heard chewy had everything we needed. We ordered several bags of puppy food and several puppy needs. We got our baby but unfortunately she passed away after a month. Chewy.com actually sent us flowers when we sent them an email… Bot even our best friends did this. Chewy.com is now our best friends and we have a new puppy so we will only order from Chewy.com. They really do care. I am not being paid but just a customer who was so surprised that a company went above and beyond. Thank you Chewy.

Original review: June 24, 2022

We have ordered our dog's prescription food in an autoship from Chewy for years. The level of service had always been stellar and we have referred many people to them. Recently our dog was diagnosed with Cushing's. The medication is $200 a month from our vet vs. about $140 from Chewy. Ordered the meds and the order sent to the vet showed a FL address. We, and our vet are in NC. The vet could not fill a script that was supposedly being sent to another state. I called three times and each time was told that the address the company showed was indeed a NC address however each time they sent the order to the vet a FL address appeared.

Asked to speak to a pharmacy rep and was transferred to Tricia. Tricia clearly was annoyed as she came on the oh in and verified the order. As I tried to explain she interrupted and told us “there is no FL address on file so I don’t know what your vet is talking about.” I told her that a rep from our vet was online with us to try to help solve the problem and she yelled at me and told me “she didn’t have to do a conference call and could help me when I could help myself.” She then kept threatening to hang up. I finally told her to do so and she did. I could not believe the level of service that she offered and nor could the vet- tech. Fortunately, Pet Co offers the same products we need for both the meds and the food. They offer the same autoship option and the prices are identical. I choose where to spend my money and I choose to spend it where customers are treated with some semblance of respect.

Original review: June 22, 2022

I have used Chewy for years without incident. However, lately their operation and customer service has fallen. I ordered two scripts of heart worm for my two dogs. As usual they checked with my listed vet and received approval. My credit card was charged $200 and the order showed shipped. Three weeks later, I had not received my order. I contacted Chewy on a Friday and was told they would do an immediate re-order. I explained that I was leaving on a trip and had to have the meds by the following Friday and was told it would be expedited. No problem. The following Monday, I contacted them again as my account still showed nothing. They again told me they would re ship. That afternoon, I saw a fresh order that showed their pharmacists were working on it.

On Tuesday, still no progress. I sent another email and was told that I needed to call the pharmacy department as it was a separate department and that they were waiting again for my vet's approval. When I asked if they told the vet they had lost the first order and that was the reason why they were seeking another approval, I was told "I don't know". Wednesday, still no progress. I need the meds in two more days. Sent another email of complaint and stated I wanted a customer service supervisor to detail to me exactly what they were doing and why the order was not being handled. Customer service has yet to get back to me.

Customer service failed on all levels. This was their mistake and they are not being accountable or making any expedited attempt to resolve the problem. Oh, but they have their $200 for a month now.

Original review: June 15, 2022

I used Chew to order special, doctor-prescribed food and insulin when my little guy became diabetic. Not to run out, I purchased a case in advance of my reoccurring order. When we lost him this week, I called to have the order discontinued and request to return 1 unopened case. The lady over text chat told me to donate the food to a shelter and immediately credited my credit card. This was impressive. What was over the top was the next day when they sent us flowers and a lovely note for our loss. Unbelievable customer service! They have a customer for life!!

Original review: June 14, 2022

I am extremely disappointed in the time it took for me to receive a vital prescription for my dog, Cloe. I placed an order on May 31 and I was due to receive it June 12. It finally came the next day. And that is only because I called to find out why it hadn't shipped yet. That's 13 days, not 1-3 days for meds as it states on their website. They held up my order of **, a vital medication my dog needs for her high blood pressure and Glaucoma, because of another order for another dog that is non-vital. I suppose they were trying to save shipping costs. As a result, I completely ran out of the medication waiting for my delivery. This medication is essential for for my dog's survival.

I called twice and have written them three times. I got responses such as sorry for the confusion, I understand your concerns, and thank you for your feedback. I have used Chewy for years. I can get dog treats in 48 hours, but forget getting medications. I have removed all of my dog's future medication orders since I have lost all confidence in Chewy's ability to deliver them in a timely manner. I have switched to a more reliable source.

Original review: June 13, 2022

This company is pathetic.. They took my money for my cat food, but saying they can't send it because they had to verify my account.. Really? Ok.. well Chewy can kiss my big fat **. They think because they have these people that answer the phones they sound all sweet but they're not!!!

Original review: June 10, 2022

Used Chewy.com Pharmacy for medication for 2 dogs. Initial order was great. Processed easily, received in a timely manner, affordable. Then I tried to reorder. Placed the order, notified it was delivered - not delivered to me. Placed the order again, making certain address, etc..were correct - notified it was delivered - again - not received. One of the medications is serious heart medication for my dog - so at this point had to obtain some locally or would have lost the the dog. More communication with Chewy over the course of TWO MORE WEEKS - meds sent to wrong address - twice. Verified on phone - it is coming. 2 days later - message - need to verify address again - will go out in 1-2 days.

Finally - last notification - will have to verify with your Vet (Vet had already verified 3 times - they were afraid I was overdosing my dog). Meds were never sent, and communication within the phone/pharmacy - was nonexistent. While those answering the calls were always polite - at no time was any concern exhibited by anyone - like have you gotten meds...NEVER. Finally have gotten verbal assurance that my money will be refunded - not yet happened. If you are in need of any pet medication in a timely manner, and from a reliable source - I would strongly urge you to go elsewhere - serious pet conditions are not addressed appropriately.

Original review: June 9, 2022

If there had been a Zero star, I would have chosen it. I've spent thousands on food/RX at Chewy.com and have been a satisfied customer. However, my last shipment contained several heavy bags of sub-Q fluids for a sick pet and three small cardboard boxes containing Rx. The Rx boxes weren't separated from the heavy bags, so they got smashed. Initially Chewy agreed to replace the Rx. Now they want me to send them the damaged boxes before they replace the Rx. So I'm inconvenienced because their packers screwed up? Petty and cheap doesn't cut it.

Original review: June 2, 2022

We've used Chewy for almost 10 years, and have always had an excellent experience - very large inventory of prescription and non-prescription items at great prices and extremely fast, consistent 2-day delivery. And their customer service is incredible. Two recent examples: 1) When FedEx failed to deliver a Chewy box of food, etc. on the expected date, Chewy immediately sent a second box of all the items and told us to donate them if the first box ever arrived (which it did and we did), and 2) We recently had to say goodbye to our 15 year old dog; when we notified Chewy online, we almost immediately received a long, heartfelt email from a customer service rep, and then they sent flowers to our home. We can't say enough about good things about Chewy, and have recommended them to everyone we know who has pets.

Original review: June 2, 2022

I have ordered multiple products from Chewy and have found their prices to be the best. Recently I have been ordering prescription medicine for my dog. Chewy is better than the site attached to my Vet's website. They are less expensive, quicker and friendlier. We recently lost a pet and I had to cancel my order. There was no hassle and no problem to do so. Surprisingly two days later We received flowers from Chewy...signed by the staff member I spoke with. This was totally unexpected but so appreciated and meant so much to us that a company the size of Chewy would take the time to care and to acknowledge your loss. Chewy will get all of my pet supply business. Always the best service and the best prices all delivered to my door. Chewy.com staff are the benchmark for customer service that all companies should strive for. Thank you Chewy.com.

Chewy.com Company Information