4.72/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For the last 30 years, Shake A Paw has provided the best products and the most extensive selection of puppies to over 30,000 families. Shake a Paw’s pet consultants work seven days a week to help you with any questions or concerns you may have about your new puppy. We have two locations in New York: Hicksville and Lynbrook, that also carry supplies, accessories, food, crates, toys and more. Visit our website today to learn more!

Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 18, 2017

258 Shake A Paw Puppies Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I live in Lynbrook and have been to this store hundreds of times. Each time has been extremely positive experience. The staff is extremely nice and knowledgeable not only about all their puppies but all their products as well. Besides the super staff, the store itself is extremely clean and they are constantly cleaning out the puppy playpens. I went in today to return an item but couldn't find my receipt. Tina went above and beyond for such a little item - but that is customer service at its finest!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I have been going to Shake A Paw since they opened many years ago. I purchase all of my puppy (dog) supplies and food from them throughout the years. I have had the pleasure of dealing with Kathy (an employee) for several years now. She always greets me with a big smile and hello. She goes out of her way to assist with any supplies I need. While purchasing supplies, I usually take a few minutes to play and look at the many breeds of puppies on display that day. Most of the time they're on many types and different sizes and temperaments. There's nothing that can change a bad day to good more than the happiness shown from a puppy when you give them a little of your attention. They are very well taken care of by the entire staff.

I have never seen anything but a very clean, organized and well stocked store. One of the best things is it never smell of anything unsanitary. Not just because they obsessively clean the cages but they always have those great smelling candles lit within the store. I would highly recommend this place to anyone that needs or wants a new friend to add to their family or just needs supplies for their existing ones. Great store, puppies, and employees!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

We purchased our last two puppies from Lynbrook Shake a paw. We purchase all of our food and toys from their continuously and find them to be very attentive and professional. The puppies are doing great!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

We bought Bailey here 7 years ago. He is beautiful and loving and healthy. Bailey is a unique looking mix breed and I got him at 8 weeks old. James helped me pick out his food and all his doggy needs and referred me to a vet. I had a great experience getting Bailey. I was allowed to play with him and knew right away he was the one.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I can't imagine going anywhere else to get what I need for my pups. We brought them home from the Hicksville store in April and have been back a ton of times since. Every staff member I've encountered is great!!! Anthony, James, Chris; the whole gang at this store, all amazing and super helpful. Thanks everyone!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shake A Paw Puppies?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Everytime I go into Shake a Paw for my puppy’s supplies, I am always greeted by the employees (I wish I can remember her name). They are also really helpful in finding what I need. They even follow up with how my puppy is doing. I highly recommend!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Thanks to Anthony and Kyle for helping me out. They answer all my questions, and explain everything well! I got my first husky a year ago, so I went to find a boyfriend for my girl husky. Now they love each other! Thanks again. You guys rock!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

We stop by the Lynbrook store quite often as we have purchased a dog from them in the past. We are looking for a new puppy. Tina is very knowledgeable. Hopefully we will find our new fur ever friend soon at Shake A Paw in Lynbrook.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

This is the best place to buy an animal. I got my little Daisy from here. She was healthy and pretty as can be. I recommend all looking for a new addition to the family to stop by and give them a chance. Excellent store!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Had a great experience with the purchase of my guinea pig for my children. After a day being home the water dispenser I purchased was leaking and they were very helpful and gave me a new one. They provided me and my kids with everything I needed to care for the animal and educated us on what to expect.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

Our experience in buying a Havachon was good at Shake A Paw Puppies. Anthony brought us two adorable dogs and allowed us time with them in a private space. He answered our questions with appropriate knowledge and to the best of his ability. He reviewed, quickly all of the information we would need to care for Louie. Anthony helped us pick out appropriate accessories for our new pet, Louie. Anthony reviewed all of the paperwork needed.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Shake a Paw Hicksville - I am satisfied with Shake a Paw and bought my furry friend a while back and was very happy with the customer service and help to find the right buddy for me and love the selection of designer dogs that I can't really find anywhere else. For example, I got my Pomsky there and you guys did a great job helping me and giving me information.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. The store was extremely clean. We were able to sit and play with our new puppy without feeling rushed. Our new puppy had his forever home, and was extremely healthy. The first week we had to go to the first well visit with their vet, we were so happy with their chose. The office was clean and staff friendly, we would of love to return there but was too far from our home. Overall experience was amazing and we love our puppy Spike!!!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

Dog was taken from her mother too soon and she has puppy anxiety. Now her both knees have to have a operation. At 7 months old. I paid over 3,000.00 dollars for her. She was born in Another state and it must have been a puppy mill. He has to be shut down. No one these days has money to spend like that. We love our pet and we are heartbroken. I have a sick husband and I am sick myself. My children got us the dog for happiness not to have trouble with it.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I would definitely recommend Shake A Paw to our friends and family, The store is very clean and staff is very friendly and eager to help. Anthony was exceptionally knowledgeable and very helpful. There are so many precious dogs to choose from. It's hard to walk out with getting one.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I really want to thank both James and Micaela for the best service. I purchased 2 Jack Russell from this store in Hicksville and are 100% satisfied. My girl, Daisybelle is 15 and my boy, Finnegan is 5. James is fun, friendly and full of information and Michaela is sweet, very helpful and informative.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

They have a great selection of dog breeds, with different ages and types. It's worth it just to see the puppies because of the amazing variety. I got a Shiba Inu puppy, Hachie, there at about 10 weeks old in June 21. (I was so curious of his peculiarly amazing/well-behaved temperament so I got his 5 generation pedigree from AKC and found out he has a bunch of Champion bloodlines.) I love/appreciate that they give health insurance for about a month when you get a puppy there. Puppies are fragile and it can be stressful for their health moving place to place from the breeder to the store and ultimately to their forever home.

Shake A Paw knows this and they have been helpful and assuring since day one when I got my puppy. They went through everything with me, guiding me on the care of Hachie. They told me what to expect, what might/could happen, and what to do when it does. They also have a one year health guarantee on the puppy from conditions that might develop on the time frame. I would also like to mention price tags; there have been mentions of them being pricey but ultimately they're not; they have assurances/guarantees when you buy a pet from them and they're prices are within range of purebred puppies in the northeast.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I purchased my new puppy in June 2017. I went back and forth to Shake A Paw Lynbrook several times, each time Chris was so happy to see me and ever so patient with me. I did not know what I wanted to purchase. Since my husband passed away I was very confused if I really wanted a puppy. Well Chris should be recognized for his outstanding help, consideration, devotion and loving care he gave to me. I finally walked in in June and he walked me to the new puppies that just came in and there she was, he stood with me the whole time I was bonding with her then he graciously made sure that I had everything I needed for my new life with my new love, and love her I do.

Chris told me that she somehow will fill the empty void and quietness in my home after I leave my kids and grandchildren, when the door closes and I am alone she is there to comfort me - well we comfort each other. I also go down to Shake A Paw for all my supplies for my little one, because he makes it so easy to get exactly what I need for her. Shake A Paw is blessed to have him as an employee and I/we are blessed to have him in our lives as a part of our family. Thank you Chris from the bottom of our hearts. Keep up the good work. PS, my son also purchased a puppy over the past year and Chris was there to help him also.

Original review: July 24, 2017

I got my second dog from here today and James was so helpful as well as Michaela. They answered all the questions I had and explained thoroughly. Amazing customer service and store. I'm so in love with my new dog!

Original review: July 22, 2017

We bought our pet Ziggy at Shake a Paw 10 months ago. McHaela was our sales rep. She was very sweet & attentive. On occasion we return to pick up some supplies & when we run into McHaela she always greets us w/ such enthusiasm. She always remembers us & Our dog Ziggy & even asks us to bring him in one day so she can see how he's doing. It's a pleasure not only to be greeted by such a sweet person, but to feel like she really cares about our dog.

Original review: July 1, 2017

I recently adopted a dog at the Shake A Paw in Hicksville Long Island. Tony, the salesperson, was very helpful, informative, and polite. As were the rest of the staff. I would recommended this location to anyone who is looking for a pet. We are pleased with our adoption.

Original review: June 29, 2017

It was a trip to the pet store we will never forget. We had went in the store to purchase rabbit hay and walked out with our German Shepherd puppy. During the process we were assisted by Tony who had answered all of our questions. My children are so happy Daddy decided it was time for a dog. We came home with a new family member. Couldn't be happier.

Original review: June 9, 2017

I had a nice experience going to Shake a Paw. The staff was friendly and the store was clean and tidy. They let me play with the puppy I came in for. I'm very happy with my new puppy pug. However, I think they charge a bit too much. I'd recommend the store to a friend.

Original review: June 7, 2017

I would rate this store as excellence. Just bought my third dog Oscar (Havapoo) within a 16 year span. Always extremely knowledgeable, professional and truly caring that the dog you chose is the perfect choice. A great experience for all workers and new pet owners. Extremely satisfied.

Original review: June 6, 2017

I frequent the Hicksville store many times and every time I go McHaela goes out of her way to help me out. I go to this store because of her, she is wonderful. McHaela is an huge asset to Shake a Paw.

Original review: May 30, 2017

Bought our Aussiepoo at Shake A Paw in Lynbrook and Cathy was so helpful with our pup. Answered our questions without any hesitations, always smiling and pleasant. Employees there were also polite and friendly. There were many breeds to choose from. All puppies are so adorable.

Original review: May 29, 2017

Let me begin by saying that buying my puppy is the best choice I've ever made, and Shake A Paw in Hicksville, NY really made it easy. From the beginning, their staff were considerate, knowledgeable and professional. I used their website to find my Pomsky, and soon made a visit. After we got acquainted I knew I made the right choice.

The girl that has been helping me since the beginning, McHaela, made becoming a dog owner as easy as possible; I've trained dogs before and lived with them but never my own. You can tell how passionate she is about finding each little pup not only a home, but the right one. Her guidance provided me with everything I needed, from medical information to feeding habits and everything in between. McHaela's experience speaks for itself; her knowledge of the animals and general practice made for a great experience all around. Soon I'll be bringing Harley back for a visit; she just turned one in April! So happy, thank you McHaela and Shake A Paw, Hicksville!

Original review: May 24, 2017

All the workers are kind and and are outgoing. In love with all the animals in here. James is very kind and seems like a great person. They allow you to play with the pets and all the pets seem very playful and safe. The area is very clean and I would definitely come again.

Original review: May 18, 2017

Best pet store I've ever been to. Last Monday, 5/15, was our second time visiting this Shake a Paw. My boyfriend, son and I went in to get some new fish for our fish tank. This is also why we went the first time. Last time as well as this, our experience was superb. Michaela was working that day, an expert on fish with several tanks of her own. She helped us pick out a new filter, which is still working great. She told us which fish we could get and mix with the ones we had, as well as which ones we shouldn't. She was very polite and professional.

The fish are much healthier than the last time we got some from PetSmart; which didn't last very long. Our tank is still thriving. We also went to see some puppies. While we were doing that, James came over and we had a chat about puppies. He brought one puppy out for our toddler to pet. He was very friendly and courteous. I recommend this store to all my friends considering pets or pet supplies. Will be visiting again.

Original review: May 7, 2017

We had a great experience here. We bought a Mini Goldendoodle and it was the best purchase ever! Tina was extremely helpful! The store was clean and in great conditions. They had a wide selection of supplies and treats to buy which greatly helped us out as we were brand new owners.

Shake A Paw Puppies Company Information