toll free

Lynbrook, NY
toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I had a great time purchasing our new puppy. Salespeople really know their stuff. I dealt with Chris at Shake A Paw in Hicksville. The guy knew everything about all different breeds. Nice trustworthy guy. The experience was magnificent. I would recommend anybody who wants a pet. If you're not sure about one? Deal with Chris. When you leave you will be absolutely positive you made the right decision. You will be happy you did.

Thank you Tina. She was extremely professional and helpful. She called to let me know the puppy I was interested in was actually arriving. Received my cockerpoo clean and healthy. Explained all care and training techniques. Made herself available for questions after sale. Thanks again. This was my second puppy from Shake A Paw.

I got a toy poodle from the Shake A Paw store near our house six months ago and I had no problems at all. The overall cleanliness and appearance of the store was very good. Their staff was very good. I still go in there to buy dog food and they always take care of me. I am very happy with them.

The worker I dealt with when I bought my Shorkie was Tina. She was very helpful, courteous and knowledgeable throughout the sales process. I have been back to the store for supplies and she is always cheerful and willing to help me with whatever I need for Chewie.

I have gotten two beautiful dogs from shake a paw. I got a border collie named Stefan there about two years ago and he has brought so much love to our family, it's priceless. I just recently got a black lab named Harley for my dad for Christmas, and that was a success as well. I would highly recommend SHAKE A PAW!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shake A Paw Puppies?

We were looking for a specific type of puppy and Shake a Paw was one of the pet stores that was within our area that had it. So we went to their Hicksville location and the store was very clean and well-kept. We got a Cavapoo, he's delicious and we love him. The reps also gave us all the stuff that we would need to care for him and provided a full week's worth of vet care after the purchase of the dog. They did a nice job and we had a really good experience. As a matter of fact, we're looking into getting another dog from them. I know that their reputation is not the same as the experience that we had but because of the reputation, we felt that we should do our due diligence with our puppy after purchasing it. We brought him right away to the vet to make sure everything was okay with him and that he was healthy.

It was our first time getting a pup. Our experience at Shake a Paw couldn't have been better. All the staff was knowledgeable and helpful especially Chris. He had answers to all of our questions and we liked that he was honest with us the whole way through. He had a clear passion and guided us to find the perfect dog! We are proud owners of a red and white shiba inu named Titan. Thanks again to Chris for all your help and making this experience one we will never forget. Happy Holidays!

My daughter bought a puppy from Shake a Paw. She liked it and so I went online myself and everything just went from there. My puppy's a Mini Hippo which is a Cocker Spaniel Shar-Pei mix and he's now two years old. I dealt with other stores before and Shake a Paw was pretty good. I would recommend them.

I adopted a dog from a friend and they got the dog from Shake a Paw Puppies. I was looking for a rescue dog of the same breed which is not that common, so I checked with them if they had any. When I went over there, I liked what I saw in terms of the environment. The dogs were in open pens there. The puppies can be seen in a more natural environment amongst themselves playing and frolicking. Even the ones that were enclosed and in smaller containers, they were clean and well-maintained and the animals looked to be in good health and in good condition. All of their eyes were clear, they didn't spit and there was no smell even when you took the mouth. The animals looking healthy was an indication of having maintained it off-hours as well. My neighbors who have young dogs got their dogs there too and they also had very good things to say.

The staff was extremely helpful, not pushy. They were feeling me out as much as I was looking at the dogs and feeling them out as well. They asked very good questions to get a sense of how I would be as a pet owner and what my experience trouble would be. I was very pleased with the fact that they were questioning me as well. They want to make sure that she got a good home.

They would make suggestions based upon what my lifestyle was and needs for and what I was looking for in terms of a family member of an animal species. They gave me guidance as she got older what her food and needs would be or recommended based on their experience. In addition, the pens were constantly being cleaned while I was there - people mopping the floor and wiping it down. They have attendants there and as soon as one of the animal pets gone to the bath and they were in there changing the paper.

Almost all of the people that worked there are big time animal lovers with multiple dogs or animals in their own household. They shared their best practice tips and different things. A lot of them do training on the side. Even though I didn't engage enough with training, they offered that guidance free just upon having conversations with them. I got that sense from everyone that I dealt with. They were all very engaged and they always ask about the dog. My dog's name is Betty White, an American Eskimo, and they always remembered her name and who I was. They all enjoyed what they do.

They also gave a recommendation about the vet that they work with and they were selective. They didn't just choose anybody. I love the vet so much and I've been using my other vet for over 30 years. I'm now using this vet. The vet said that he sees a lot of dogs from that location that are all in good condition. He said that my dog is another one from that location that didn't come to him with Kennel cough which dogs can get so easily from everywhere. Also, when you get the dog, you get the first three months of free vet visits and the follow-up shots.

The puppy is a year old and she has quite a personality. She's a very happy and well-adjusted dog. I've gone back there since the original purchase for the food and various other items like leashes. They offered a full-service pet store with items that as your dog grows you'd find helpful. I needed to get bigger harnesses and they helped fit the dog with the proper size and also one that would best meet her in entry levels.

We saw Shake a Paw in the neighborhood and the people who went there got great dogs. We got a Mini Goldendoodle from the Lynbrook location and the store was spotless. The customer service was also excellent. They were very attentive and good. Omar, the young man who helped us, explained everything very well. He remembered our names and the dog two weeks later when we walked in.

We got a lovely puppy from Shake a Paw!! Everyone there was very pleasant and helpful. This is the second time we got a puppy from them and was very pleased. I would definitely recommend this place when you are looking for your Fur ever friend!!

Last week In September I went in Shake A Paw and fell in love with my fur baby. When we were about to start paperwork I noticed he had a little cough and snots. They said they had to keep him until he was vet approved to leave. On October 6th they called me. He was cleared to go home. I went with my son and fill out paperwork. I told them I had my own vet. I was told fine. If any issues bring in the bills and they want them in then send me a check.

When I was almost home the puppy sneezed to where green snots came out of his nose. By the evening I had to rush him to the vet. He was coughing up foam and dry heaving. His nose was so filled of snots. He was eating fine and going to the bathroom. No issues. I left spending over 400. I called the store and spoke to James. How he's a manager is beyond me. He yelled at me and pretty much blamed it on me. He said I have to use their vet otherwise they don't do anything. I told him I signed a paper saying that in 14 days I have to take the puppy to the vet and they have to reimburse me the charges. James kept cutting me off and talking over me telling me when a dog leave they get sick. I told him "he got sick within 15mins?" I said "you sent him home really sick." And he said my vet who I have used for 6 plus years is wrong and lying to me. My pet is fine.

I said I'm sending in the bills and I expect a check with my refund. After all my puppy was sick. He's 13 weeks old and I paid over 3500. Now my puppy is more sick and got my other dogs really sick to where they are hospitalized. The puppy has not got better at all. I went to the vet for his check up and they have to change his meds and almost had to stay overnight. Only reason he's not is because he's still eating. His X-rays show how filled his chest is with fluid. He's now on 3 meds along with a breathing treatment every 4 hours. I came home and called but James was not available and I spoke to Anthony who at first thought he was nice but turned nasty just like James.

I explained everything saying how I paid over 1000 in vet bills within 3 weeks and now I have 2 very sick dogs. He told me it's not his issue. "Vet tell you what they want." Their vets tell the truth pretty much and if I don't use their vet oh well. I told him that's not true. I read the contract and the person I did paperwork with said my vet was fine to use. I don't want to use a random vet that I don't know and on top of that as I read reviews it's James' family member that the vet. I called the "Corporate Office" but they can't handle hicksville issues. They just know they get a lot of calls about these issues.

How can a business do this to people? First I was overcharged and I accepted that because I fell in love with this puppy and so did my kids. They don't stand by their word and when there is an issue they want to put the blame on you. I get when dogs are mixed they will get sick but if he was still sick they should have not let them go home. Now I spent about 5000 and we don't know if my dog is going to make it. On top of that my other bulldog is very ill and not getting better. They need to be shut down. My next step is a lawyer and they will pay for everything.

Everyone here was so helpful with the purchase of our new Maltese puppy! He has the best personality and such a sweetheart! We highly recommend Shake A Paw to anyone looking to take home a new fur baby!

James and the staff here at Shake a Paw are wonderful. We purchased a Mini Golden Doodle who unfortunately needed a few days rest and he could not be released to us right away. The staff let us visit everyday and play with our new pup until he was cleared to come home. They made us feel welcome and secure in our decision to go with our new puppy. This is our 3rd dog we have purchased with James and we could not be happier. Thank you and your staff for excellent customer service and a passion for what they do!

Shake A Paw - Long island- bought a puppy from this store. Initial experience when purchasing the dog was good. Returned with some basic questions and it turned into a non-friendly experience. Would I recommend this place to friends and family that are interested in a pet or supplies? The answer would be no. I can only imagine if I had real problems that needed to be address. Sorry, but I will be taking my and my friends' business elsewhere.

A friend of mine bought a puppy from Shake a Paw a few years ago and said she had a good customer service experience. The store was in the neighborhood. I went and checked them out a few times before I made a selection. I wanted something small and had gone to shelters too but the small ones that came in there were sickly, so I decided to make a purchase instead. Also when I buy a dog from a pet store, I have more information. I got a Maltipoo last March. Sunshine is five months old and very friendly, energetic, and lovable. I wanted to buy the same type of feed that they were giving Sunshine, at least to start off with and I’m still using the same one. The guys at the Lynbrook store were very helpful and knowledgeable.

Omar was our guide that night to picking out the right puppy for us. Omar was great, so helpful and kind. We left with the right puppy that night – a Mini Golden Doodle. I would get another from that store. The puppy is great and lovable. Omar even remembered us when we went back a week later to buy Ruby more toys. Love the store and Omar for a perfect puppy named Ruby :)

I purchased my 4 months Australian Cattle dog. The staff were great. They weren't pushy as some pet stores can be and were extremely knowledgeable especially for the type of breed he is. They also provide a certificate for a free physical at a local vet in which is at no cost to you. Completely Satisfied and would recommend to others!

Had a great experience purchasing my puppy. Will highly recommend them to family and friends.

Tom & the Shake A Paw Team in Lynbrook are amazing... They offer a no-rush, positive puppy experience... Their objective is to find the right puppy for you & the right home for the puppy & will work with you until that perfect match is made, whether that match is made on your 1st visit or 100th. Shake A Paw will also educate you about each individual breed/puppy based on fact & their own personal experience/opinion, to ensure BOTH owner & pet are happy. My family has purchased 2 Shake A Paw puppies & plenty of products since their opening in the 90's & have visited & worked with both the Lynbrook (Ask for Tom) & Hicksville (Ask for Ricky or Joe) locations & feel Shake A Paw is a safe Long Island bet to find a furry friend, or an array of small pets & products to fill all of your animal family needs.

We live about four blocks from Shake A Paw in Lynbrook and that’s like our second place to live. I love going in there and we're always looking around. We got our puppy there almost four years ago when we tried to adopt one and I couldn’t find one that I loved. She’s a Pekingese Poodle and she’s a lap dog. She’s at least seven and a half to eight pounds. She’s healthy and her name is Bailey. We got her when she was just four months old.

Their Lynbrook location is clean and since we bought her, they’ve redone the store so it’s even nicer now. Their consultants were all helpful and knowledgeable. If one didn’t have the answer, they would go to the other to find the answer, which I thought was nice instead of giving us a fake answer. Every time we need a new toy we go there. Also, a lot of their staff when we bought Bailey were still there. So every time we go in there, we’re like a second family to them.

We purchased an English Bulldog from Shake a Paw three years ago in the month of May. Her name is Lola and she's now three years old. They say it could be a little tricky with English Bulldogs because they usually have issues, but we’ve been lucky. So far, Lola’s perfect. She gets regular vet visits, and she has a clean bill of health. I’ve actually brought her into Shake a Paw to visit. We’ve stopped in there from time to time looking to also purchase another dog in the future.

We got her from the Lynbrook location. Their staff is extremely knowledgeable and not pushy at all. The same familiar faces for a couple of years now that I’ve seen who work there are extremely helpful. They know us now when we go in there. This location is spotless. When you pass by, the windows are sparklingly clean. When you go in, everything is maintained. No matter what time we’ve been in there, it’s always the same. Also, we get the same great experience every time we go in. Additionally, a lot of people go to Shake a Paw, and I heard from these people that Shake a Paw always stood by whatever issues somebody has had with their pet.

We bought our dog "Sally" 8 years ago from Shake A Paw in Hicksville, NY. The staff at Shake A Paw was patient, professional and courteous with us throughout the entire process. Eight years have passed and we are still very happy. Thank You.

We got our golden doodle from Shake a Paw in Lynbrook, their customer service was above & beyond!! Not only was the staff friendly but also incredibly knowledgeable, they walked us through everything from his breeder to his favorite chew toys. They helped us care for him and continue to give us tips on how to raise our new fur baby! We continue to buy all our puppy supplies from Shake a Paw because the staff has become like family to us and they all LOVE seeing our pup Lincoln mature & grow!!

I read good reviews and a lot of references about Shake a Paw so I decided to purchase a bulldog from their Lynbrook location during the summer of August 2015. I got an English bulldog and named her Reese. She's about six months now and she's red and white. I've been to both Hicksville and Lynbrook locations and I like both stores, but I think the store in Lynbrook is clean and the people there were more friendly. The pet experts and consultants were really experienced and any questions that I had were all answered. Being a first-time dog owner is not easy and I was nervous at the beginning, but they made me feel comfortable. Also, they have all the supplies over there and showed me everything I needed for the puppy. Overall, I think Shake a Paw was great and I'm satisfied with them. My dog is doing great and she's a happy little dog.

No response received

If you get a price quote from anyone in the store, get it in writing if you are not purchasing the same day. I was quoted a price, in front of 2 other people and today I was quoted a price that was $500 more. The salesperson denies that she quoted me the lower price. GET IT IN WRITING!

Not only did I have an amazing experience purchasing my puppy at Shake a Paw, but the amazingness has continued for years thereafter. I purchase all of my supplies there because they are like family... They always ask about my puppy by name, and they always remember the types of toys he loves and the types of foods and snacks he eats. Shake a Paw is an awesome place with really great people!!!

Couldn't be more happy with the service, knowledge and overall experience we had at Shake A Paw. I went firmly against what I had thought about pet stores and am very very happy. James is extremely knowledgeable about the breeds and was really really nice. I would feel very, very confident in recommending this store to another person.

Shake a Paw’s amazing. I walked in ‘cause I was looking for a dog for a while. As soon as I walked into that store, the amount of dogs that they had compared to how the store looked and smelled showed me that they actually do the right thing. I’ve been to stores where they have 20 dogs and I couldn’t even walk in to the place. Shake a Paw has close to 100 dogs and I couldn’t even smell them.

I got a beautiful, little nine and a half week old Cocker Spaniel which I named Goldie. I talked to Tony and he knew what he was talking about. I was looking for a totally different breed for my daughter and he advised me that that dog wasn't good. He showed me the Cocker Spaniel and talked about the pros and cons, so that helped me a lot with my decision. He walked around the whole store with me and told me what not and what to get. I wanted to get something and he told me I didn’t need it. He was not trying to push products on me. I also appreciate the manager's coming up to me to make sure everything was good. He even gave me a little discount on some of the products. I would recommend Shake a Paw to anybody.

I purchased a Siberian husky puppy from Shake A Paw in Lynbrook New York. I was greeted immediately by Krista who was very warm and friendly. She answered all my questions and was very patient with me. She was very knowledgeable and could tell passionate about what she does and of course a dog lover. She took care of me from start to finish. During the decision process to bringing my family to interact with the puppy we were considering, she addressed everyone's concerns and questions. Although Shake A Paw was not the cheapest option it was the experience that we were provided that made it the right choice. I had a great experience and would recommend them to anyone looking for a pleasant and warm experience when making this important and significant purchase.

Shake A Paw Puppies Company Profile