toll free

Lynbrook, NY
toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I had a great time purchasing our new puppy. Salespeople really know their stuff. I dealt with Chris at Shake A Paw in Hicksville. The guy knew everything about all different breeds. Nice trustworthy guy. The experience was magnificent. I would recommend anybody who wants a pet. If you're not sure about one? Deal with Chris. When you leave you will be absolutely positive you made the right decision. You will be happy you did.

We got a lovely puppy from Shake a Paw!! Everyone there was very pleasant and helpful. This is the second time we got a puppy from them and was very pleased. I would definitely recommend this place when you are looking for your Fur ever friend!!

Last week In September I went in Shake A Paw and fell in love with my fur baby. When we were about to start paperwork I noticed he had a little cough and snots. They said they had to keep him until he was vet approved to leave. On October 6th they called me. He was cleared to go home. I went with my son and fill out paperwork. I told them I had my own vet. I was told fine. If any issues bring in the bills and they want them in then send me a check.

When I was almost home the puppy sneezed to where green snots came out of his nose. By the evening I had to rush him to the vet. He was coughing up foam and dry heaving. His nose was so filled of snots. He was eating fine and going to the bathroom. No issues. I left spending over 400. I called the store and spoke to James. How he's a manager is beyond me. He yelled at me and pretty much blamed it on me. He said I have to use their vet otherwise they don't do anything. I told him I signed a paper saying that in 14 days I have to take the puppy to the vet and they have to reimburse me the charges. James kept cutting me off and talking over me telling me when a dog leave they get sick. I told him "he got sick within 15mins?" I said "you sent him home really sick." And he said my vet who I have used for 6 plus years is wrong and lying to me. My pet is fine.

I said I'm sending in the bills and I expect a check with my refund. After all my puppy was sick. He's 13 weeks old and I paid over 3500. Now my puppy is more sick and got my other dogs really sick to where they are hospitalized. The puppy has not got better at all. I went to the vet for his check up and they have to change his meds and almost had to stay overnight. Only reason he's not is because he's still eating. His X-rays show how filled his chest is with fluid. He's now on 3 meds along with a breathing treatment every 4 hours. I came home and called but James was not available and I spoke to Anthony who at first thought he was nice but turned nasty just like James.

I explained everything saying how I paid over 1000 in vet bills within 3 weeks and now I have 2 very sick dogs. He told me it's not his issue. "Vet tell you what they want." Their vets tell the truth pretty much and if I don't use their vet oh well. I told him that's not true. I read the contract and the person I did paperwork with said my vet was fine to use. I don't want to use a random vet that I don't know and on top of that as I read reviews it's James' family member that the vet. I called the "Corporate Office" but they can't handle hicksville issues. They just know they get a lot of calls about these issues.

How can a business do this to people? First I was overcharged and I accepted that because I fell in love with this puppy and so did my kids. They don't stand by their word and when there is an issue they want to put the blame on you. I get when dogs are mixed they will get sick but if he was still sick they should have not let them go home. Now I spent about 5000 and we don't know if my dog is going to make it. On top of that my other bulldog is very ill and not getting better. They need to be shut down. My next step is a lawyer and they will pay for everything.

Everyone here was so helpful with the purchase of our new Maltese puppy! He has the best personality and such a sweetheart! We highly recommend Shake A Paw to anyone looking to take home a new fur baby!

James and the staff here at Shake a Paw are wonderful. We purchased a Mini Golden Doodle who unfortunately needed a few days rest and he could not be released to us right away. The staff let us visit everyday and play with our new pup until he was cleared to come home. They made us feel welcome and secure in our decision to go with our new puppy. This is our 3rd dog we have purchased with James and we could not be happier. Thank you and your staff for excellent customer service and a passion for what they do!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shake A Paw Puppies?

Shake A Paw - Long island- bought a puppy from this store. Initial experience when purchasing the dog was good. Returned with some basic questions and it turned into a non-friendly experience. Would I recommend this place to friends and family that are interested in a pet or supplies? The answer would be no. I can only imagine if I had real problems that needed to be address. Sorry, but I will be taking my and my friends' business elsewhere.

A friend of mine bought a puppy from Shake a Paw a few years ago and said she had a good customer service experience. The store was in the neighborhood. I went and checked them out a few times before I made a selection. I wanted something small and had gone to shelters too but the small ones that came in there were sickly, so I decided to make a purchase instead. Also when I buy a dog from a pet store, I have more information. I got a Maltipoo last March. Sunshine is five months old and very friendly, energetic, and lovable. I wanted to buy the same type of feed that they were giving Sunshine, at least to start off with and I’m still using the same one. The guys at the Lynbrook store were very helpful and knowledgeable.

Omar was our guide that night to picking out the right puppy for us. Omar was great, so helpful and kind. We left with the right puppy that night – a Mini Golden Doodle. I would get another from that store. The puppy is great and lovable. Omar even remembered us when we went back a week later to buy Ruby more toys. Love the store and Omar for a perfect puppy named Ruby :)

I purchased my 4 months Australian Cattle dog. The staff were great. They weren't pushy as some pet stores can be and were extremely knowledgeable especially for the type of breed he is. They also provide a certificate for a free physical at a local vet in which is at no cost to you. Completely Satisfied and would recommend to others!

Had a great experience purchasing my puppy. Will highly recommend them to family and friends.

Tom & the Shake A Paw Team in Lynbrook are amazing... They offer a no-rush, positive puppy experience... Their objective is to find the right puppy for you & the right home for the puppy & will work with you until that perfect match is made, whether that match is made on your 1st visit or 100th. Shake A Paw will also educate you about each individual breed/puppy based on fact & their own personal experience/opinion, to ensure BOTH owner & pet are happy. My family has purchased 2 Shake A Paw puppies & plenty of products since their opening in the 90's & have visited & worked with both the Lynbrook (Ask for Tom) & Hicksville (Ask for Ricky or Joe) locations & feel Shake A Paw is a safe Long Island bet to find a furry friend, or an array of small pets & products to fill all of your animal family needs.

We live about four blocks from Shake A Paw in Lynbrook and that’s like our second place to live. I love going in there and we're always looking around. We got our puppy there almost four years ago when we tried to adopt one and I couldn’t find one that I loved. She’s a Pekingese Poodle and she’s a lap dog. She’s at least seven and a half to eight pounds. She’s healthy and her name is Bailey. We got her when she was just four months old.

Their Lynbrook location is clean and since we bought her, they’ve redone the store so it’s even nicer now. Their consultants were all helpful and knowledgeable. If one didn’t have the answer, they would go to the other to find the answer, which I thought was nice instead of giving us a fake answer. Every time we need a new toy we go there. Also, a lot of their staff when we bought Bailey were still there. So every time we go in there, we’re like a second family to them.

We purchased an English Bulldog from Shake a Paw three years ago in the month of May. Her name is Lola and she's now three years old. They say it could be a little tricky with English Bulldogs because they usually have issues, but we’ve been lucky. So far, Lola’s perfect. She gets regular vet visits, and she has a clean bill of health. I’ve actually brought her into Shake a Paw to visit. We’ve stopped in there from time to time looking to also purchase another dog in the future.

We got her from the Lynbrook location. Their staff is extremely knowledgeable and not pushy at all. The same familiar faces for a couple of years now that I’ve seen who work there are extremely helpful. They know us now when we go in there. This location is spotless. When you pass by, the windows are sparklingly clean. When you go in, everything is maintained. No matter what time we’ve been in there, it’s always the same. Also, we get the same great experience every time we go in. Additionally, a lot of people go to Shake a Paw, and I heard from these people that Shake a Paw always stood by whatever issues somebody has had with their pet.

We bought our dog "Sally" 8 years ago from Shake A Paw in Hicksville, NY. The staff at Shake A Paw was patient, professional and courteous with us throughout the entire process. Eight years have passed and we are still very happy. Thank You.

We got our golden doodle from Shake a Paw in Lynbrook, their customer service was above & beyond!! Not only was the staff friendly but also incredibly knowledgeable, they walked us through everything from his breeder to his favorite chew toys. They helped us care for him and continue to give us tips on how to raise our new fur baby! We continue to buy all our puppy supplies from Shake a Paw because the staff has become like family to us and they all LOVE seeing our pup Lincoln mature & grow!!

I read good reviews and a lot of references about Shake a Paw so I decided to purchase a bulldog from their Lynbrook location during the summer of August 2015. I got an English bulldog and named her Reese. She's about six months now and she's red and white. I've been to both Hicksville and Lynbrook locations and I like both stores, but I think the store in Lynbrook is clean and the people there were more friendly. The pet experts and consultants were really experienced and any questions that I had were all answered. Being a first-time dog owner is not easy and I was nervous at the beginning, but they made me feel comfortable. Also, they have all the supplies over there and showed me everything I needed for the puppy. Overall, I think Shake a Paw was great and I'm satisfied with them. My dog is doing great and she's a happy little dog.

No response received

If you get a price quote from anyone in the store, get it in writing if you are not purchasing the same day. I was quoted a price, in front of 2 other people and today I was quoted a price that was $500 more. The salesperson denies that she quoted me the lower price. GET IT IN WRITING!

Not only did I have an amazing experience purchasing my puppy at Shake a Paw, but the amazingness has continued for years thereafter. I purchase all of my supplies there because they are like family... They always ask about my puppy by name, and they always remember the types of toys he loves and the types of foods and snacks he eats. Shake a Paw is an awesome place with really great people!!!

Couldn't be more happy with the service, knowledge and overall experience we had at Shake A Paw. I went firmly against what I had thought about pet stores and am very very happy. James is extremely knowledgeable about the breeds and was really really nice. I would feel very, very confident in recommending this store to another person.

Shake a Paw’s amazing. I walked in ‘cause I was looking for a dog for a while. As soon as I walked into that store, the amount of dogs that they had compared to how the store looked and smelled showed me that they actually do the right thing. I’ve been to stores where they have 20 dogs and I couldn’t even walk in to the place. Shake a Paw has close to 100 dogs and I couldn’t even smell them.

I got a beautiful, little nine and a half week old Cocker Spaniel which I named Goldie. I talked to Tony and he knew what he was talking about. I was looking for a totally different breed for my daughter and he advised me that that dog wasn't good. He showed me the Cocker Spaniel and talked about the pros and cons, so that helped me a lot with my decision. He walked around the whole store with me and told me what not and what to get. I wanted to get something and he told me I didn’t need it. He was not trying to push products on me. I also appreciate the manager's coming up to me to make sure everything was good. He even gave me a little discount on some of the products. I would recommend Shake a Paw to anybody.

I purchased a Siberian husky puppy from Shake A Paw in Lynbrook New York. I was greeted immediately by Krista who was very warm and friendly. She answered all my questions and was very patient with me. She was very knowledgeable and could tell passionate about what she does and of course a dog lover. She took care of me from start to finish. During the decision process to bringing my family to interact with the puppy we were considering, she addressed everyone's concerns and questions. Although Shake A Paw was not the cheapest option it was the experience that we were provided that made it the right choice. I had a great experience and would recommend them to anyone looking for a pleasant and warm experience when making this important and significant purchase.

Shake A Paw's pet experts and consultants were very good. I wanted a cute little baby and they recommended a Teddy Bear which is a cross between a Shih Tzu and a Bichon. I love my puppy and I got her at the Lynbrook location. I had a very good experience but I wish the parking is better.

Shake a Paw has a better selection than the other pet stores, their explanation of the breeds of dogs are very informative, and it seemed like a more professional puppy store, so I bought a black and tan German Shepherd pup on March 19th at the Lynbrook store. I named him Bonsai. The people working at Shake A Paw were very well versed in their stuff. I'm very pleased, and my experience was great. There were no hitches and everything is going fine with the pup.

They’re clean at Shake A Paw Puppies, immaculate. If the puppies went to the bathroom, it was cleaned up right away. There was no odor when I walked in there. Even when I brought my friends, they were amazed at how clean it was. The animals looked like they’re well taken care of. I have two dogs from them named Lacey and Simon and they're very good. I have a Shih Tzu that’s six and a three-pound Yorkie that's 13. I got them at the Shake A Paw Puppies Hicksville location. The people there were great too. They knew everything I needed. I had to call up about housebreaking one of the dogs and they took their time. I didn't have a problem, even in going in to buy supplies, a playpen or whatever I needed. If I had a problem that my dog didn’t like, such as something he wasn’t gonna use, I could bring it back. They’re good like that. They're helpful. I have recommended them to friends and family.

We took home our female Shih Tzu on Christmas Eve from Shake a Paw Puppies at Lynbrook. The store was very nice and clean. Everybody was very nice and they seemed knowledgeable. They had a very nice plan because we bought the puppy before that day, and they managed to keep the puppy in the office until Christmas Eve so we could take her home and surprise the kids. It was a very good experience and would definitely go there again.

I am very happy with Shake A Paw. A friend of mine recommended this store to us and I chose them because they helped a lot with any request. I have two Shih Tzu Maltese named Gigi and Bella - one is five and the other is four years old - and they're very happy and healthy. I got them from Shake A Paw's Hicksville location. It's very clean, that's why we go there often. We recommend it to other members of the family and friends as well.

I know some people who bought their dogs from Shake a Paw and they told me that they were very happy, so I decided to also buy my Havanese Bichon from Shake a Paw. She is eight years old now and I bought her from the Lynbrook location, which is an excellent and super clean store. Their pet experts and consultant were very helpful. They gave me paperwork on how to train the dog, how to care for her and recommended some vets in my area that I happen to love. When I did have a question about training her after we got home, I called back and the sales rep who helped us got on the phone and spent a lot of time with us with any questions we had asked her. It was our first time buying a dog, and we felt very comfortable and confident, and we had a wonderful experience.

Shake a Paw seemed most convenient and knew what they were doing. They basically picked out my puppy for me. I told them what I was looking for and they pointed me to the right dog then showed me all the supplies and everything I might need. I now have a German Shepherd named Kobe who's about four months old. They were also very helpful and gave good service overall. I've been to other pet stores before and it wasn't the same. Furthermore, Shake A Paw's store in Lynbrook didn't smell, was really clean, and looked well.

I have to say I am so happy I came across Shake A Paw to find my puppy a sweet & smart Boston Terrier Viper. We found him on the internet for Shake A Paw & we went to the store & immediately fell in love with our 5 month old Boston Terrier. We knew we wanted him while we spent time with him in the room. We went to visit him everyday for two weeks until we were able to bring him home. Everyone was so helpful, well-informed & so nice. I can tell my puppy was well taken care of & he was loved by everyone that worked there. My puppy responded very well to everyone while being there we saw & when we brought him back to visit.

Chris went out of his way to be extra helpful & Matt & James the manager were simply amazing. They all made us feel very comfortable with our whole experience there, shopping for our puppy. We couldn't have asked for a better place to have purchased our puppy. We purchased our puppy in February & we are happy to say that our puppy is 100% healthy. We've been to the vet twice already for his routine check-ups & the vet gave our puppy a clean bill of health. He is so sweet, smart, so well behaved & friendly, it's unbelievable. I am eternally thankful to everyone in Shake a Paw. When we are ready for our next puppy Shake A Paw is where we'll be getting our next puppy. =}. HAPPY OWNER.

Somebody had bought a puppy at Shake A Paw and they were happy. So, I went to the Lynbrook store and got a pug. His name is Lou and he’s going on 14 years old. I’ve gone back another two times and has gotten a Golden Retriever and a bulldog. I also go to the store to get supplies and it is always very clean and it doesn’t smell. It’s one of the things that brings you back.

The staff is very good and if they don’t know something, they’ll go and ask. Often, they’ll tell you things that they think that you’ll need when you have the puppy. There’s always somebody who really knows the products very well while some people may know the puppies better than the actual products. They’re very good at helping you get started. I have recommended Shake A Paw to friends.

Shake A Paw Puppies Company Profile