4.81/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

CANIDAE is pet food made by pet people. We use the same ingredients we want for our own pets to make our foods. From working hard to form relationships with the farmers and ranchers that supply ingredients, to opening our own farm to grow ingredients and our own facility to cook the food—we’re dedicated to providing the best nutrition possible for the beloved dogs and cats that enrich our lives in so many ways. Sensitivities, picky dogs, multi-pet households, or healthy food on a budget, CANIDAE has your solution!

Canidae Pet Foods Video
Canidae Pet Foods Gallery (6)
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 14, 2017

1342 Canidae Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

The breeder where we got our Yorkshire Terrier from was using Canidae so we just stayed with it. She's 9 years old now and has been a very healthy dog. The cost of the pet food is fine. I pay for it since she likes it and eats it. We buy the small bag since she's a small dog. It's funny that it takes her years for her to eat. I could go through a five-pound bag forever. The place where we buy the pet food gives the 13th bag for free if people buy 12 bags. We just recently got the free bag and she definitely eats more now. Overall, Canidae is excellent.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Canidae Life Stages was recommended to us by the owner of the pet food store that we go to and my two lab mixes have been eating it for 10 years. It’s been fine and done well for them.

Canidae Pet Foods response

That is wonderful Casey! We are glad to hear that you have had such a great success with Canidae! 10 Years! We would love to see your labs, if you have any pictures. We truly appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback, as well as a rating, thanks for sharing!

-Travis F.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

My grandson’s 8-year-old mixed breed dog, Sam, had gained up from 79 pounds to 120 pounds and it was beginning to affect his pancreas. A veterinarian suggested that he get a different dog food to keep his weight down, so we went with Canidae Platinum that’s supposed to help maintain his weight and he’s lost down now to 89 pounds. We've been buying Canidae pet food going into the third year now.

Canidae Pet Foods response

WOW! Jean this is GREAT! Thank you for taking the time to leave such a great review. We would love to see him. I will contact you to check if you have one to send. This is so wonderful for him and for others who may be looking for a food for the same thing for their dog.Thank you again for your great review and rating too :)

Beth G.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I have two dogs. One is a giant breed, one is a toy dog and both of them are approximately two years old. We could feed them both the same thing that’s why I bought Canidae. I’ve been using it for two years now since it was recommended and they also sell a product that’s for all life stages, all breeds of dogs, all sizes for dogs, which is unique. Just like a lot of dog foods, though, I got a couple of bad bags. This happened about three times in two years. But other than that, everything is great. They’re a great company.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you for your support and for taking the time to leave your review. We are very happy your dogs are doing well with the ALS Multi protein formula. We are very sorry to hear you have had some bags that were not to your satisfaction. Please contact us anytime you have any concerns and we will be happy to assist you. Thanks again!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I work at Petco and they switched me and my pets onto Canidae. Our business manager for this area in Oregon had come in and talked to me about it. He told me that, if I learn more about it then I get a free bag. I did some of the research and I went through the courses. I really liked that they're a family-owned business, that they've not been bought out by anybody. I also like that they grow their own ingredients on their farm and that it's limited ingredients.

I used to feed my cats Kitten Chow years ago before I worked in the pet industry. I watched my sister's really old kitty just go downhill super fast from eating the cat chow. When I got into the pet industry, I started feeding my cats healthier diets. They gained some weight, but they're just healthier and have a lot more energy. I've noticed that their coats look really good since they've been eating the Canidae, especially my dogs. I always recommend it to every customer who wants to know what brand they should feed, and they go straight to the Canidae.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Canidae Pet Foods?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I’m pleased with Canidae's food. I've fed them to Paddington, a 15-year-old Jack Russell, Wile E., a 14-year-old Labrador, and Fisher, a 12-year-old Portuguese Water Dog for eight years now primarily because of their ingredients. It's expensive, but it's better quality food. I change up the varieties because they get bored with some. Sometimes, I get the Senior, sometimes, I get the chicken. We’ve been loyal for probably a few years now and I’m sure if I’m to get a new dog when these passes on, we’ll probably stay with the same one.

I didn't like the recent change in their packaging, however. They used to have a little zip on it where you can pull it like a peel tab and they did away with that. Now, it's sealed so tight that you had to take scissors and stab into it to open it. It’s very difficult if you can’t get the bag open and you have to rip it in a way that makes pouring the food out of it hard. But the last bag I bought was easier to open than the one they had in between there for a few years and it's brighter.

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your many many years of support and for leaving such a nice review and rating. We are very happy that your dogs have done so well with their CANIDAE. We are sorry to hear you have not been pleased with the new packaging, I will express your concerns on this for future changes. Thanks again!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I had an 80-pound Labradoodle that died at 11 and then I have a 25-pound Cockapoo puppy. The veterinarian told us to use Canidae for the shedding and dry skin because it's more rich in protein. I've also switched my in-law's dog food. He's got Goldendoodles and they all are on Canidae now. I've been purchasing Canidae for three years now and they have bad gas because of that but their skin is not as dry anymore.

Hi Derrick,

Thank you for your support and for taking the time to leave a review. We are very happy to hear about how well the CANIDAE has been for their skin and coat. I have sent a separate email to discuss which protein source they are on and see if I can offer any assistance with that. Thanks again!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

The lady whom we bought our Great Dane from suggested that we buy Canidae because Great Danes are particular about their food choices and we have to be careful with what we feed them. Our Great Dane has always had Canidae for 8 years now even though it's expensive. He’s between 120 to 140 pounds and he sleeps more but nothing slows him down when it's time for him to jump around and bounce around like a nut.

Hi Jim,

WOW! 8 years! Thank you for your dedication and support. We greatly appreciate you, your Dane, your many many years of support and taking the time to leave a great review on our products. Thanks again!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

We raised Bulldogs and had done some showing and breeding before I had children of my own. Right now, I only have two dogs and they are nine and six years old. Lots of dogs have been eating Canidae under our care and they always had a healthy weight and healthy coat as well. I've been purchasing Canidae food for close to 10 years now. I used Diamond and some Purina products prior to that but Canidae has all life stages and a variety of protein sources so we switched. I like the program where we buy 12 bags and get the 13th one for free which is neat. I never have to worry about diet or trying to put weight on dogs since Canidae has the right amount of nutrition for them. We tell everyone about the Canidae as it’s the perfect pet food.

Hi Natalie,

Thank you for your many years of support and for taking the time to leave such a nice review. We are happy your dog have done so well and that you are a part of our CANIDAE Family. Thanks again!

Beth@CANIDAE

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I've been buying Canidae for my pets, which are two Bernese Mountain dogs, for eight years now. It was recommended by our breeder. One of the best things that they do in the location where we buy Canidae is that when we buy 12 bags, we get one free. That's an excellent sales opportunity. Also, the dogs like it and the breeders think that it's the best for the price. So, we're very happy with it.

HI Frazier,

Thank you for taking the time to write in with your review. We are happy you are happy and thank you for your many many years of support. We appreciate you and your Berners.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

My dog likes Canidae and I think it helps in his health and well-being tremendously. He eats the same thing all the time and I feel sorry for him, but he eats it twice a day and that's good enough for me.

Hi Terry,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are happy he is good and healthy! Thanks again!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I'm a satisfied customer of Canidae. I have a 13-year old Goldendoodle and he's done well with Canidae. It's part of his healthy diet and we've been happy. I chose Canidae because of the reviews I read at the time and I've been buying this pet food for 10 years now.

Hi Bradley,

10 years WOW! that is great! Thank you for your many many years of support. We appreciate your support and are happy he is doing well. Thank you for your great review. We appreciate reviews as you know they help ;)

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

Canidae is a good product. I have puppies and a senior dog, and I like the fact that with Canidae I could feed one food to them. I always recommended it. However, we've had some problem with allergies this year, so I probably need to look into different brands.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Hi Debra, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are glad you have been happy with CANIDAE and recommend it. We would be more than happy to work with you to find a different formula that may be better for your dog with allergies. We will contact you to offer assistance in choosing another formula. Thanks again!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I had a pet that had some health issues and I was doing some research and realized that some of the cheaper brands that you buy at your local department store have a lot of fillers and junk. We care about our animals and we wanted to find something. But the more expensive brands that didn't use a lot of those fillers were a little out of our budget. Canidae seems to offer a product though. We use the All Stages and Platinum series for seniors. When we switched over, we had gotten a new puppy. We started out with our puppy then started feeding Canidae to our dogs that were about three at the time. We found that their coats improved, they had a lot of energy and they were doing very well with the product so we've stuck with it. We've been using Canidae for at least three years now.

We are a large family and we love our pets but it gets costly trying to feed them. But Canidae's program where you get one bag free when you buy 12 has been helpful. All you have to do is cut out the UPCs, fill out the little envelope and take it to the store. We're running about $55 to $60 a bag for the dog food so that's a nice little benefit. We've gotten good results with Canidae and we're very happy.

Hi Donna,

Thank you for taking the time to give such a great review. We are so happy that CANIDAE works so well for your family. Thank you for your continued support.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

When we got our Labradoodle, his breeder used Canidae and we decided we'd just continue it. His name is Toby and he is nine and a half years old now. Life Stages is the one we have always used. He eats them willingly so we continue to use it. Also, I like the fact that he stayed pretty slim at right around 60 pounds and it seems to meet his needs. He is also happy, healthy and always energetic. In addition, I appreciate the fact that every so often you can get a free one. It's part of their program and it takes a while to accumulate enough of them. While it's more expensive than some of the food in the market, we've stuck with Canidae because it has served Toby well. We've been perfectly happy with Canidae and we'd recommend it to anybody to try.

HI John,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with CANIDAE. We are so happy that Toby has thrived on CANIDAE since he was weaned as a pup. We appreciate you and Toby and thank you for your many many years of support.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Canidae was recommended by a breeder and we've been using it since 1995. We currently have Bullmastiffs - a four year old and a puppy coming. We feed them primarily raw and we supplement with Canidae.

Hi Steve,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate you, your dogs and your many many years of support.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

Based on the research that was done for me by my ex when we started buying Canidae in 2006, Canidae has less waste, poop washes away easier, and there aren't any by-products or anything in it so it is more natural. Our dogs don't need plastic and stuff in them. If it's a more natural brand, they eat less and I save some money, too. Instead of eight scoops of the cheap stuff, you get three scoops of the good stuff and they're getting all the nutritional value they need. And that's one of the things we liked Canidae for.

I had gotten Life Stages when I had Shadow, she was an older Pitbull. We had a mix of ages, we had a 12-year old right down to a puppy. We changed three different times, and I even had the special one for a while for Shadow had an allergy. But because I can never get to any place to get the Canidae as I don't travel out of town too much anymore, I've converted to IAMS. I wish Canidae sold their products more locally. I have to drive 45 minutes to get it. And then it's a hit or miss if they have it in stock. If Canidae would ship it to the house and I don't have to buy a big bulk, that would be helpful.

Hi Sandra,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our products.We are so glad your dogs have done so well on CANIDAE and we are sorry to hear you have had trouble locating it near you. There are several online retailers available. https://www.canidae.com/online-retailers/

I will contact you to assist you with this. Thank you again for your review.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I used to raise Shepherd puppies and purchased Canidae Life Stages. Their stool is cut down and I’m impressed with it. My other sister feeds a lesser brand to her dogs and she has had more cancer but I did not run into that. The only problem that I had with Canidae was there was a run that they did and there was alfalfa. It wasn’t cleaned out and my dog food was green. I showed to the guys at Canidae and they sent me coupons. Otherwise, I love the dog food and my seven dogs look fantastic on it. I don’t have to feed a whole lot of it too. I have Shepherds, Pugs and a Yorkie and they can all eat Canidae. My sister and my niece feed Canidae to their dogs too. My niece has seven dogs and my sister has two. She feeds them lamb and rice.

Hi Dodie,

Thank you for your continued support and loyalty. We are glad to hear how well CANIDAE has been for raising pups and for your family. Thank you so much for your review.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I have been feeding my dogs with Canidae for 13 years. I want my dogs to eat good and natural food, and that's very important. Canidae has natural ingredients, enzymes, and it’s a full-balanced meal for all stages of growth. It’s also a good quality food that’s affordable. There are some other good quality food out there, but it’s expensive. Feeding four Labrador Retrievers could add up, but it's fair-priced for what I'm getting.

I had Silver, a nine-year-old, Labrador Retriever. I also had Jazz, a black Lab which we had at four months. She broke her back at five and I helped her recover. She just stayed on Canidae the whole time and she healed up well. With rehab and stuff, she was able to live a full life until 12 and a half. In addition, I have two other chocolate Labrador Retrievers that are five and a half now. We had them since they were six weeks old and they’re very healthy and good dogs. I first started using Life Stages but with Jazz, I used the Canidae Platinum because I couldn’t get her overweight due to her back problem. I had Blue on Canidae Platinum, too, when he got older. All my dogs see the doctor once a year and they get good health reports. They really don’t need it, but the vet says they need to see my dogs. They like Canidae and it's contributed to their good health and well-being.

Hi Kristin,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with others. We appreciate you and your pets and are very happy to hear how well CANIDAE has been for Silver and Jazz for so many years and that your dogs continue to thrive on CANIDAE. Thanks again!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

A good friend of ours recommended Canidae and we’ve used it ever since for our last two dogs and they were older at the time. But we’ve given this to our six-year-old Pitbull from day one and it’s healthy for our dog. The vet says she’s in good shape. We don’t feed her from the table and that's all she eats. She seems to be healthy and she’s doing fine. So, we’re a believer in Canidae.

Hi Fred,

Thank you so much for your review. It's great to hear how long you have been a part of the CANIDAE family and that your Pitbull is healthy and in good shape. Thank you for your continued support and believing in CANIDAE.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I’ve had a really good experience with Canidae Pet Foods. I have a four-year-old Bull Mastiff and he had a couple of problems with indigestion issues. He had to have wheat and grain free food. I went to Petco and they told me to try the Canidae's Under The Sun, which is grain-free chicken, because it was a really good dog food. I tried it and it worked well with my dog. I also liked the price because it was really reasonable compared to a lot of other dog food. My dog has been okay since I bought the dog food for him. He's doing good and didn't have any issue with his stomach anymore.

Hi Tiffany,

We are very happy to hear how well UNDER THE SUN is doing for your Bull Mastiff that had some indigestion issues. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and share with others. Thanks again!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I feed all of my four dogs with Canidae Pet Foods. My daughter and the pet food store that I use said it was good. I have two Bernese Mountain Dogs named Mando and Sadie. I have an Australian Shepherd and that’s Murphy and I have a Labrador Retriever and his name is Max. I got the Canidae Pure dog food and the chicken and rice.

Hi Anne,

We are thrilled to hear that you are feeding Mando, Sadie, Murphy and Max the CANIDAE Chicken & Rice and one our our Grain Free PURE formulas. Thank you for your review!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

We wanted to get something better for our dogs then so we read reviews about the dog foods. We have two Yellow Labs and one doesn't use Canidae anymore. She was six years old so I thought that Life Stages was the one she was supposed to have. It's a great thing to feed them food with natural ingredients. However, she has a lot of allergies and they told us that another brand with limited ingredients might help out better. We’re trying a different kind to see if we can get her allergies under control. But, Canidae Pet Foods have been really good. Everything’s great.

Hi Wendy,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are very happy CANIDAE has been really good for you and everything is great! We do have several other options for seniors and dogs with allergies. I will contact you with these options. Thanks again!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I have a German Shepherd Welsh Corgi and a Golden Retriever White Lab named Ella and Missy. One’s three and a half while the other one’s four and a half. We give them Canidae Life Stages because of all the ingredients. That’s all we use and we’ve been purchasing the brand for about four years now. It's a good product. My dogs eat it and they seem to be very healthy. We add people food to their food sometimes though. Overall, I’m pretty happy with my experience with Canidae and I get one free bag every year.

Hi George.

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We are very pleased you are happy with your CANIDAE experience. Thank you for your continued support and your loyalty!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I’ve bred Blue Nose American Pit Bull Terriers for 20 years and in the beginning, I watched dogs get sick and it being food-related was a real issue. When we started to go into natural or holistic food, we noticed a huge difference. I've fed a lot of different foods over a long time and Canidae is one of the better ones. I've been purchasing Canidae Life Stages for six years. Our dogs used to have skin allergies but ever since we gave them Canidae, they've never had any problems, whether allergies or irregular stools. They go to the bathroom regularly and it doesn't keep them fat. They also like it a lot and Canidae works better for a multifamily house that has multiple dogs of different ages.

Hi Paul,

Thank you for choosing CANIDAE and for your support. We appreciate you taking the time to give your review and let everyone else know too. Thank you for being a dedicated CANIDAE customer.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

My dog was on Canidae Pet Foods for a couple of years. A friend recommended it because they had used it for their dog. Our dog seemed to do well on it and then we decided to try something else because she had some significant skin rashes. It hasn't resolved itself yet so we may end up going back to Canidae. Aside from the skin rashes, which may or may not have come from the food, it was a good product. We also liked that it had essential oils in it and our dog really enjoyed it.

Hi Will,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry to hear your dogs is having issues with rashes. We would like to assist in choosing another formula for your dog. Please email me at support@canidaesupport.com or give us a call at 1-800-398-1600

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I’ve been purchasing Canidae occasionally for a few months now. It’s a good product and it makes my cats happy. I've fed them with not so good food and noticed that they get sick and they don’t respond well to it. So, it's better to give them something special. Their coats are nicer and they do better with Canidae.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you so much for your review. We are pleased to hear how well your cats are responding to their CANIDAE and that their coats are nicer with CANIDAE. We appreciate your support.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

One of our 3 dogs has severe allergies. We had them all on Under the Sun, which they did fine on but they just didn't seem crazy about it. We put them on the Canidae Grain Free Weight Management and they just love it! 2 of our dogs also had anal gland problems occasionally and since we have had them on the Canidae that seems to have gone away as well! Love This Food!!

Hi Violet,

Thank you for your support and for your great review! We are happy your dogs are loving their PURE Resolve. Thanks again!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I have a 10-year-old Border Collie and he likes everything. Some people can’t switch their foods if their dogs have sensitive stomachs but he’s not like that. He can eat any good food, but he’s always enjoyed the Canidae. But I purchase Canidae off and on. I work for Petco and we consider Canidae a premium food. They had one particular formula marked down and I had a coupon for it so I bought a bag of Canidae Pure Senior Formula last night and my dog loves it. Feeding him natural ingredients is valuable but I consider them too expensive. Other than that, it's a very enjoyable experience overall.

Hi Joyce,

Thank you for your wonderful review and for your support.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I think highly of Canidae and I have massive experience with it. I’ve been using it intermittently for 40 years. I chose it because of its reputation. I have a dog and four inside-outside cats and they’re Shorthairs. My dog is a cross between Australian Shepherd and Australian Cattle Dog. I started feeding Canidae to my dog when he was having a problem with his hips because he’s older, he’s 13, and he seems to have gotten better and more agile. I think it’s very valuable to feed him natural pet ingredients.

Hi Colleen,

Thank you for your great review! We are so pleased to hear how your dog has gotten more agile with CANIDAE. Thank you again!

Canidae Pet Foods Company Information