Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.21/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

CANIDAE is pet food made by pet people. We use the same ingredients we want for our own pets to make our foods. From working hard to form relationships with the farmers and ranchers that supply ingredients, to opening our own facility to cook the food—we’re dedicated to providing the best nutrition possible for the beloved dogs and cats that enrich our lives in so many ways. Sensitivities, picky dogs, multi-pet households, or healthy food on a budget, CANIDAE has your solution!

Canidae Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: March 2, 2020

My two Doodles have been on Canidae for over a year now. I always get the same brand and formula. The last bag had little hard white dots in the food that I never recall seeing before. With the cost of the food I would hope to not see a decline in the product. I really hate to have to switch to another brand. This should be checked.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I recommend this dog food to anyone wanting to find a high quality food that includes healthy and wholesome grains. My Labrador started out on Iams and was miserably gassy all day long unable to digest the corn they use. I did a lot of research and decided to try Canidae multi protein formula. I was impressed with all of the ingredients that includes heart healthy oatmeal instead of corn and the best part is my dog loves it! After eliminating the corn his gassy misery disappeared. I also recommend Canidae's treats as well. He loves them all! Thank you Canidae for a quality wholesome product!

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

I have been feeding Canidae to my dog for the past six years. I previously never had any problems with my dog eating this food. A few weeks ago I purchased a new bag of this food at Petco in Long Beach California. My dog is now not eating normally and is feeling lethargic. I noticed that the size of the food is smaller. Something is wrong with this product and needs to be investigated.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I have an 18 month old Cavalier King Charles. He was a finicky eater and we tried several brands of food for him. We added a small amount of Honest Kitchen to each type of food we purchased, but he was VERY fussy. I purchased a small bag of Canidae small breed raw coated grain free with lamb. He seemed to prefer Canidae to the other brands we tried. I bought this from Pet Smart # 1809, Queen Creek , AZ. This trial amount was bought in September of 2019. Baxter seemed to like the product. I bought a larger bag in October. I noticed a few green pieces in the food. But since it was a new brand I didn’t give it much thought. Baxter ate the contents without much prodding.

On November 22, 2019 I returned to Pet Smart and purchased 2 more of the larger bags. When my wife opened the first bag she noted to me that there were some green pieces of food in the bag. I told her that I thought that might be some of the freeze dried coating and we continued to feed it to our pet. Baxter seemed to be finicky again. We opened the second bag from the 11/22 purchase and dumped the remainder of bag #1 into it. This was about 5 days ago. Since then he has progressively refused to eat any of the food.

Today our daughter came for dinner and we consulted her about the problem. She trials 3 Australian Shepherds and feeds them Canidae. After seeing the bag of food she stated that it looked like mold in the food. Our dog won’t go near it. Maybe he is smarter than we are. I have attached pictures of the food, bag, etc. On one picture there appears to be some green matter on the bag. The food is green and when the bag is opened particles seem to float out into the air.!!!!

I am a bit upset that I have been slowly poisoning my dog with what I thought was premium dog food. And it has cost me over a hundred dollars for food that may have caused serious damage to my young dog. What to do now? I am contacting you first for some direction and concern. Are you interested in the nearly full bag of this product? Has this happened before? Do you have a problem? If I don’t hear from someone at Canidae in the next couple of days, I will go to social media to get answers.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

We have been feeding our almost 11 year old German Shepherd Canidae dog food since he was a puppy. People can't believe that he is almost 11 years old because he looks amazing and has energy of a puppy, STILL. Malachi's coat has always been beautiful and we feel like his dog food has helped tremendously in keeping him youthful. We have started using Canidae wet dog food mixed in with his kibbles and he LOVES being fed all of the different varieties he is given. If there was ever a dog that would promote Canidae's line of foods, Malachi should would be that dog. I highly recommend Canidae to anyone searching for that "perfect" food that promotes a healthy, trim, and youthful dog. If you would like a video of what he looks like, I would be happy to share.

Matthew and Jessica

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Canidae Pet Foods?

Original review: May 16, 2019

A buddy of mine had a mom-and-pop type business as opposed to Petco’s and he had people that were educated on the products. He didn’t carry any of the garbage foods and educated me on what was good and bad, and the differences. IAMS was the gold standard but now, they changed all their innards. Then, Wilderness is good, the Buffalo and all those. I tried them but they either irritated my dogs’ skin or gave diarrhea. I always had two or three dogs at a time. So, a it's trial and error and just sticking with the top premium dog food.

Canidae has always been solid for me. I feed it to a Chihuahua, a Pug and a Brittany Spaniel. They don’t throw up and they don’t have diarrhea. They’re not overweight but they over ate. So, it has contributed in the factor of a healthy lifestyle. I usually get the yellow bag, which is the chicken, mostly because that’s the one that’s mostly in stock at stores in bigger bags. So, I just stuck with it but I switch that every once in a while. I wouldn’t change even on times where I might have a lesser paycheck or struggle. The pet is a member of the family so, So, I’m not gonna go and get a $12 bag of whatever from Stop & Shop because I can’t or because I’m a little tight on cash so it’d be something else. Canidae is affordable, accessible and problem-free.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you Jason! We are happy to hear that CANIDAE has always been so good for you. We appreciate you and your dogs support and we thank you both for your support. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I have a little Papillon and the cat is a domestic Shorthair. Canidae has been so great for both of them. Each of my pets are 12 and they’re ancient. They’re little geriatrics and they had upset stomachs with all the other brands. So, we switched over to Canidae and they’ve not had any of the stomach upsets. Canidae uses fresh ingredients and not a lot of grains. We wanted the best for the animals and feeding them natural ingredients are important. I only eat good food so they should eat good food. I’m not gonna have a bunch of trash in my cat food and dog food, because that’s gonna cost more vet bills. They get kidney infections and urinary tract infections, and it’s not like they get good insurance or anything if they have preexisting condition, which is ridiculous. Canidae has kept my pets young. It has contributed quite a bit.

Canidae has educated all the checkout people at PetSmart. So, they’re very passionate about the food as well, and that has been really neat. I get “thank-yous” from the checkout because they are thankful that I’m buying the food so that I care about my pet. They know more about it than I do and they are telling me more information every time I walk in the door. So, that’s cool. We recommend Canidae whenever we have friends over.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you Colleen for your support and for taking the time to leave your rating and review. We appreciate you and your pets support and are very happy that CANIDAE has been such a big part in keeping them healthy. If you ever have any questions please reach out to us. Thanks again!

Original review: May 11, 2019

My dogs seem to like Canidae. It is a high-end food, and the price is a little high. I have one of my other dogs on another brand that is as high-quality, and I mix it with Canidae. My other dog, Wrigley, has allergies so she is on a strict Canidae diet. He used to eat Pinnacle Trout & Sweet Potato, and they went to the complete west coast strictly. So, they don't deliver up here anymore. I got forced to switch to another food and Canidae was the closest ingredient to that with everything that my dog needed. If Canidae wasn’t so expensive, I would buy more of it. But if it ends up going up any higher, then I’m gonna look at another brand.

I put my dog food in a bin, and you can definitely see the difference between the two dog foods. Wrigley’s bin is not greasy, but the other bin is greasy. One thing that I don't like about Canidae is that because it is so pure, a couple times I’ve gotten bags of food and opened them up, it was all powder. It must have been the bag on the bottom and it gets crushed. The community store also said that there’s nothing in it to preserve this type of things to keep it from not doing that. But they did reimburse and we brought back the food.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you Jen! We appreciate you and your dogs support and are happy to hear how well CANIDAE has been for your dog with allergies. We sent you a PM with some cost saving options. If ever you have any questions please reach out to us.

Thanks again!

Original review: May 1, 2019

We were using Eukanuba, but Eukanuba had a recall. We decided to try and change. My husband's a research scientist and he did an exhaustive research about foods and contents. We went with Canidae and I love the food. We have six Great Danes and I'm feeding the grain free Pure Sky to the boy. And on the girls, right now, they're on Life Stages, the orange bag.

One thing I am disappointed about Canidae though is they had a large breed puppy food, which was fantastic. And we raised one whole litter on it. And then they quit making it. I want healthy ingredients that are good nutrition. I'm not averse to supplementing and putting vitamins or whatever else that I need to, but good healthy food is what I'm looking for. And Great Danes are really touchy as puppies and you gotta be very careful about not overdoing the protein, the calcium, and any of that stuff. And I recommend to all my puppy owners to put them on Canidae.

I am concerned about the thing that's going off right now about what's causing the heart problems with dog foods. Some people are pointing their finger at grain-free, and yet it's not really proven one way or the other. Canidae has not been in the list of foods to watch out for. But if Canidae can give any feedback on that, I'd appreciate it. Our experience with them has been extremely good because every time we've had a concern, we'd call them. My husband has called them, and they've gotten him to a person who's knowledgeable. And if they don't know the answer to the question he's asking, and he can ask them pretty penetrating questions, they've gotten back to him.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you Barbara for your support and for taking the time to leave such a nice review and rating. We greatly appreciate you and your dogs and have enjoyed helping you over the years. We do now have a Life Stages Large breed formula for puppies, adults and seniors.

We understand your concerns, rest assured that the health of your pets (and our own) is our highest priority. The FDA is investigating a possible link between diet and canine heart disease which may be caused by a lack of taurine. Our products are formulated by a board certified veterinarian, and real meat or meat meal is the first ingredient in EVERY formula, which provides naturally occurring taurine. As with all important decisions regarding your pet, we advise doing your own research. Here is a helpful link to an article from the FDA to help you make your decision: https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/ResourcesforYou/AnimalHealthLiteracy/ucm616279.htm

If you prefer to feed your pet a diet with healthy grains, we recommend checking out our All Life Stages formulas or if you are looking for a formula without potatoes and peas take a look at our Under The Sun Original Formula.

We can be reached at 800-398-1600 ext 0 or support@canidae.com with any questions and Barbara we will send you an email with this info as well. Thank you again!

Original review: April 23, 2019

I have been purchasing Canidae food for my pet for more than eight years. It started when my dog ended up having hepatitis, although she just passed away. My dog got itchiness and ear infections, but all those went away by using the dog food that was better. So, I think it was an allergen in the other food that I gave her. The grain-free was great. I also give Canidae to my other dog. He is a Bulldog-Pit mix and he’ll be seven in May. He is an 85-pound lapdog. I purchase the 44-pound All Stages bag and I’m happy with that. Feeding my pet natural ingredients is really valuable and it is worth it. Their health improves with a better-quality food.

However, I had a bag of the All Stages and I was finding pieces of food that wasn’t cooked quite in or it wasn’t quite mixed in correctly. It was something I have never seen before. I sent in a sample and took pictures of the bag. The pieces looked like they expanded during the process of cooking and there were odd-looking things in there. I called Canidae and I talked to a girl and she helped me out. She got me a free bag. I’ve never had that happen before, but they took really good care of me when that happened. I like the Frequent Buyer Program, too. It was nice when I got the last UPC code to get a free bag. It saves me a lot of money that way.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Hello Laura! Thank you for your kind and honest review. We are so sorry to hear about your pup and we send our condolences. We are happy to hear that your pups were happy and healthy while feeding our food. If you have any other questions or if we can be of any other assistance to you, feel free to let us know. Thank you again and have a great day.

Canidae Pet Foods expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Canidae is a premium dog food company, offering a variety of flavors and types of food to dogs throughout the United States.

• Grain-free foods: If your dog has a grain allergy or you would prefer to give him a natural diet, you can purchase grain-free foods here.

• Fresh meat and vegetables: These foods contain a blend of meat and vegetables providing your dog with optimal health.

• Made for pets in all stages of life: From puppy to senior, you'll be able to provide your dog with the nutrition he needs.

• Variety of flavors: Canidae offers unique flavors such as duck and bison as well as standard sources of protein like chicken or lamb.

• Quality control measures: All products go through rigorous quality control assessments such as testing ingredients before using them, testing the quality throughout the food preparation process and doing safety checks prior to releasing the food for sale.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Canidae Pet Foods Company Information