4.63/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

CANIDAE is pet food made by pet people. We use the same ingredients we want for our own pets to make our foods. From working hard to form relationships with the farmers and ranchers that supply ingredients, to opening our own farm to grow ingredients and our own facility to cook the food—we’re dedicated to providing the best nutrition possible for the beloved dogs and cats that enrich our lives in so many ways. Sensitivities, picky dogs, multi-pet households, or healthy food on a budget, CANIDAE has your solution!

Canidae Pet Foods Video
Canidae Pet Foods Gallery (6)
View More View More

1511 Canidae Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Canidae was recommended by the pet food store that I was going to and I fed it to my cat for six years. We had our cat for 16 years but she passed away. Since our pets are our family members, we should only feed them the same thing that we would eat so feeding them natural ingredients was extremely valuable. My cat needed something that was grain-free. When I used Canidae, I didn't experience any negative stage from it, so I used the Senior for senior cats, and I had a positive experience.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

My girlfriend had cancer and was in the hospital for six months. When she got out, she started researching all the dog foods. She would buy it and then distribute it to all of us out here on the farm. So, I've been doing it for 20 years. One of my Border Collies had a bunch of joint swelling. I was feeding him dog food that wasn’t labeled and I was gonna slowly switch her over to mine but she ended up being allergic to potatoes. She could have sweet potatoes but no grain and no potatoes. So, I started researching the no-grain stuff. I just found out that Canidae was going grain-free, so that was neat, because I've got a couple of Border Collies that are really sensitive. Our pets are more sensitive than humans.

A next door neighbor raises German Shepherds and we did a supplement at the same time that I tried the new grain-free. So, between the two of them, it has really helped because the one that had all the problems with his joints is back to normal now. These Border Collies are the pickiest eaters in the whole wide world and when Canidae gave me samples of the dry raw, I just put it on my hand to see which ones would eat it and which ones wouldn't. Every single one of them ate it, so I was pretty excited about that.

I tell everybody that I've only had one dog in my whole life that has ever had cancer but I've never had a dog that was fed Canidae that had cancer. I do a lot of babysitting for my friends’ dogs and I warned everybody that I’m feeding Canidae to my dogs and not to bring theirs. I had Junction City order me Canidae and now, their supplier is starting to stock it. I educated them about it and that’s all I tell people to feed. Canidae is all I ever believe in.

Diane,
Thank you so much for a wonderful review. We are so happy we were able to provide you with a good healthy nutritious food for your dogs and that you have seen such improvement since you started. We are very happy to hear how well your picky border collies loved our new Raw Coated Grain Free PURE Ancestral line as well. We are thankful and appreciate you and your dogs. Thank you again.

If ever any questions please contact us at 800-398-1600 ext 0 or support@canidae.com

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

The breeder I got my rottweiler from got me started on Canidae and I used it for about seven years. However, I stopped using it due to the price. The place that I purchased Canidae from recommended another pet food and I went with that. It has pretty much the same ingredients but is significantly less in price.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Canidae has quality products that are affordable and I'm glad it stays the same over the years I've used it. It's also affordable. Canidae is natural food for our dogs and we love our dogs, so we wanna provide them with the best food we can. We have three rescue dogs and they’re mixes. They are like our kids and we don’t wanna just give them anything now that we’re more educated in dog food brands. Our dogs are all different ages and we use Life Stages as we wanted to go with one food for everyone. The oldest of our dogs is 10 years old and they’re still very active. They never had any medical problems. I’m a satisfied customer.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

We bought Canidae for about a year through the farm supply store but I switched to Blue Buffalo because of price and availability. Canidae was not a bad product and I would recommend it.

Canidae Pet Foods response
Thank you for your recommendation and your support!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Canidae Pet Foods?

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Our dog is doing very well with Canidae. We were looking for a grain-free form of dog food and the trainer recommended Canidae to us. Our dog is a German Shepherd and we started feeding her Canidae when she was very young and started eating dry kibble. She’s now eight years old and a very healthy dog. She gets a lot of exercises and is in a very good shape. We're happy with that and so we stuck with Canidae for a long time until it was no longer available where we live. I’m glad that products like Canidae are available for pet owners who are willing to spend a little bit more for that kind of food.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

We bought this food for our indoor and outdoor cats. Neither of them would touch it. We tried it for two days, not giving them any other food, but still they would not touch it. Once we went back to their regular food, they ate well again. My husband took your cat food to our timber and set it out for the raccoons, opossums, and coyotes. They too did not touch it. We were shocked to see that even wild animals would not eat it. We bought the 8lb bag at a Menard's Nebraska. This is the first time a pet of ours has not eaten a food we bought for them. Just a weird occurrence.

Canidae Pet Foods response

We are very sorry to hear that. We would like to talk to you about the best by date to see what that was. We have many formulas to meet the liking's of many cats. We are happy to work with you on finding a formula the your cat loves. I have sent you a PM to further assist you and your cats in finding that formula they love.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I have been using Canidae for our dogs since I moved in with my husband, but he has been using it longer. He worked at a pet food store in Seattle twenty years ago and he learned a lot from the inside out about the ingredients in pet foods and overall healthiness of the foods. He’s been using Canidae consistently since then. He feels that the whole nutrient profile, the sourcing and the ingredients of the Canidae are superb. We have one Rottweiler mix that's 11 and healthy. Canidae is our favorite choice of pet food and we have good feelings about it.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

We purchased cat food from Canidae for about three years and stopped doing so when we switched our cats to the same brand as the dog food that we were using. But we were happy with Canidae for as long as we were purchasing it. It was a good product, and we liked the buy 12, get one free promo, especially with two cats. That kind of promotional offer was valuable. Though I would like Canidae to put food storage and recommendation of sizes of bags. We had been pouring food into plastic storage containers, so inadvertently, we were affecting the quality of the food by our own storage method because we just didn’t know any better. We also like try to buy a bigger bag once in a while and by the time Canidae got through it, it was not as good.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I used Canidae for a long time but stopped using it because my animals were getting sick and my cats didn't live very long when they were on it. My cats had been on it their whole life and one of them died at only four years old and it was acute liver failure. I also lost another cat when he was about 10, but I've had cats live for 22-23 years. So I just put them on a grain-free diet. I also took the dogs off of Canidae too. I think that Canidae puts too many carbohydrates in their food. The pet food industry needs to get away from wheat and corn because the crops have been hybridized and they're being doused with round-ups.

Canidae Pet Foods response
We are very sorry to hear that Rhonda.
All of our products meet or exceed specified AAFCO Nutrient Profiles. Further, all formulas are constantly checked, tested, and confirmed by nutritionists and veterinarians equipped with the latest technology in pet nutrition and health.
All ingredients are tested prior to unloading. All products are tested during the manufacturing process. Finished product is set aside and is not released until it passes our "Test and Hold" protocols.

We have many formulas both with grains and Grain Free for those pets that require a grain free diet. Please contact us at 800-398-1600 ext 0 or support@canidae.com for any additional questions.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

My dog, Lily, is seven years old and I have been purchasing the Canidae pet food for 7 years as well since it was recommended by the breeder. Lily is a choco Lab and she's 80 pounds, although she's supposed to be smaller. I have another chocolate Lab, who is a rescue, and he's 100 pounds. They both eat the Canidae All Life Stages as it works best for them. My dogs only need a small amount and they’re satisfied. A low amount of food for a big animal is important. Feeding my pets with natural ingredients is very valuable. There are no additives, no preservatives and almost organic that I can tell, but it doesn’t say that on the label. It would be nice if we knew about that. The Canidae pet food is good for animals.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

My good friend, Tina, owns a pet barn in Ventura. We met and talked about dog foods and she mentioned Canidae was good. I started using them for my dogs over 13 years ago. At first, I had huskies that did okay on NUTRO MAX and I changed to Canidae's All Life Stages Platinum. Both died at 13. Then, I had three border collies. I changed them to Canidae around 2001 and continued using Platinum. They were medium-sized, 50 pounds, gorgeous and wonderful dogs. They would eat Canidae no matter what. My last dog just passed away on Friday and she wasn’t well at all, but her coat was beautiful. She was very healthy-looking even though she was very sick, and Canidae helped her to stay around longer.

It was very valuable to feed my dogs natural food ingredients. It was not right to feed them anything else because I love them. I wanted them to be in the best health that they could be in, show good and healthy, have beautiful coats, and my dogs did. I had compliments over and over about their beautiful coats and it was because of the food. Also, the price was a little bit lower than some of the other ones and that was very helpful. Canidae was an excellent food for my dogs. I felt very good about it and I've passed it on to other people, so I’ve got some other people that use it too.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I give the Canidae pet food to my adult dog and have been using it for three years. I have a seven-year-old purebred German Shepherd and she gets the limited ingredient, salmon and peas. I like the limited ingredients because I think there are only nine in it, and it makes it easier to manage if there is any kind of stomach and/or allergic aspects. I like the mix of the Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids. I also like the mix of protein to fat ratio. Feeding my dog with natural ingredients is valuable. I used Canidae on a dog that we don't have any longer and we used the same limited ingredient puppy food, which was great.

I'm in North Carolina and a lot of dogs during winter experience dry skin, and we had experienced it from time to time. With the Canidae, my dog didn't experience her skin drying during winter. Her fur softened and she stayed at her ideal body configuration. Canidae works good and I have no compelling reason to change it. Overall, Canidae is a consistent quality for me.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I buy their food for my Labrador and my two cats. They love it so much. I love their product so much and it is the best kibble out there on the market. They need to receive more attention from people. Before I feed Canidae to my dog, I tried Blue Buffalo, Taste of the Wild, Orijen, Merricks, and many more brands. However, this is the only brand that works well on my dog. He goes crazy every time I feed him. I fed him since he was a puppy with the "Large Puppy Breed" for about a year. I recently changed his food to all stages and all breed recipes. He is a very healthy puppy and the only time he needs to go to the vet is to get his vaccinations.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

We used Canidae for five years. I liked the natural ingredients in it. We have a Great Pyrenees, a Border Collie mix, and a Terrier. We bought the one regular brand to feed them all. It was a very good quality dog food and was better than grocery store food. There was less waste in the yard and the dogs' coats generally looked more healthy. However, it was too expensive. If I was only feeding my Terrier, it would be fine. I don't mind spending that kind of money if it was gonna last me a while but with three dogs, I was really going through a lot of dog food and I couldn’t afford to spend that much on dog food. We don’t use it anymore and what I’m using right now is about half the price.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Our dog, a Golden Retriever, was getting a lot of ear infections. The girl that babysits her told me that I should change her food. She fed her Goldens Canidae so I tried it and our dog stopped having an ear infection. Canidae All Life Stages has always worked for her so I just kept using it and I've been purchasing Canidae for 10 years now. Feeding our pet with natural ingredients is very valuable since I've seen that it helped them to be healthier when I changed her food. She's 11 and she's healthy so Canidae has been good.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Canidae is all I've used for my dogs for 14 years now and I wouldn't go with any other dog food. It makes a difference in their overall health. I use the All Life Stages and all my 4 dogs eat it. I don’t have to buy special ones for older dogs and younger dogs. I have a 14-year old Golden Retriever and that's a breeder so I have to use that dog food. I also have a Springer Mix at 15, a Maltese that's 13 and another Golden Retriever that's 12. My Springer is not keeping weight on right now because he is old, so I buy rotisserie chickens then I shred them and put it on top of his dog food. I just give him a little extra stuff on and he eats all the dog food too. Except for minor stuff, my animals are very healthy and it's because of the dog food. I've also recommended Canidae to other people I know who have dogs.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Canidae states on its packaging that it has natural ingredients. I've been purchasing it for the last 4 years and I get the large 44-pound bag for large breeds. It's the chicken, lamb and rice. Canidae contributes to the overall health and well-being of our 2 dogs, a Rhodesian Ridgeback and a rescue dog that's a mix. They're about eight years old and one of them had a bit of a diet issue but the feed seems to work good for her. They seemed a little more sluggish when we've used other brands but now they seem to be a lot more active.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I used Canidae for six years. The guy at the pet store recommended it then. I like that you buy so many bags and get one free. That was good until one of the two miniature poodles that are about 18 pounds developed an allergy to chicken by-products -- the products we checked out had. Hence, I don't use it anymore.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I wouldn't feed our dog anything other than Canidae. We had another Golden Retriever which died of cancer and we see that Canidae is the best food. Feeding our dog natural ingredients is very important to us. Our Golden Retriever now is three years old and we've been using Canidae for three years as well. We only feed her the salmon. Her coat is amazing and everybody who touches her says that they had never felt a dog so soft. It's crazy. Plus when you buy 12 bags, you get one free at the end, and that's cool. Now, we refer it to everybody and my daughter has a puppy who's about seven months old and he eats Canidae food too.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Giving food with natural ingredients to my pet is valuable to me. The store recommended Canidae and I've been giving it to my dog for three years now. It's been great and it's all that my Rhodesian Ridgeback has ever eaten.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

My cats started throwing up with Blue Buffalo and I heard that they changed their recipe. Somebody bought them out and it wasn’t quite as good so I tried Canidae and the cats love it. I have small and large 22 cats that I’m feeding and I’ve been buying it for eight years. I like it and it’s good for the cats and their coats are so good and great. I do it because I want them to be healthy so that I don’t have that cost in the long run.

I get the other products too but I get Life Stages more since it’s a little cheaper and it does better for them. I get the canned food when I can. I can mix the no-grain with it, but I’ve had problems with diarrhea and stuff with those kitties. If I change them to even another one of the Canidae brand, it can trigger it. So I just put in a little bit in there and mix it up. I have a couple of cats that have rather sensitive stomachs where they throw up. The dogs are usually okay and they are all doing really well. I had Blackie, she was a lab and she was put to sleep at 18.

The cats’ coats are beautiful especially if I start them young. Bobby is not a nice-looking tabby and the vet was walking past and he said, “Wow, what a beautiful cat.” Stretch, the latest one who is almost two years, is also getting a wonderful coat like Bobby. It really does make a difference and all my cats have really nice fur. I spayed and neutered my eight feral cats and I make sure that they get the good food because I don’t want the boys’ urinary tracts plugging up and I can’t afford to get them all that wet. I use Canidae a lot and so, I want to know how I can go directly to them and save some money. I do the “Every 12 bags, I get a bag free.” That’s really important for somebody who’s buying so much like me so Canidae should not stop doing that one. If they can send me anything and they wanna use me in any kind of commercial, if they wanna pay me or give me free food, that would be great.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I’ve been buying Canidae for 10 years for my Cocker Spaniel since that was the food that the Humane Society recommended. However, I was mad because the it went up $4 a bag when I picked it up about a month ago. Nevertheless, it's a healthy dog food and my dog likes it. We feed her once a day and her bowl is empty every day. So if the dog likes the food, don’t change it.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I have a Great Dane who's turning six and I've been using Canidae for five and a half years. It's expensive but a lot of foods gave my dog diarrhea and Canidae seemed to work. I feed my dog the salmon one and it makes her coat really shiny. I also have a Chihuahua and she is like an old lady but she's still picking Canidae so it's pretty good.

Original review: July 30, 2018

A friend of mine was a canine officer with California Highway Patrol and he said Canidae is what they feed all their animals and it was about the best thing they could find for the price. I've been using it for eight years for my dogs. I had a German Shepherd, a Lab-Husky that is still hanging in there and we have a miniature dachshund. They all eat the same food and they clean their bowl. They seem to like it, and even the cat tries to get some sometimes.

Original review: July 29, 2018

A friend recommended Canidae which had a decent price for great quality. I have two American Staffordshire Terriers and I feed them the basic All Life Stages. I've been purchasing it for a year and a half, and it's got good ingredients and can be found at many locations.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I've been purchasing Canidae food for my pet for seven years now. I have a red nose pit-bull, and he started using it since he was a puppy. He has been healthy. I'm glad they came back with the 44-pound bag. Especially with the price, I'd recommend them.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Canidae is the pet food that my dog could tolerate because my Saint Bernard has gastro problems. We've been purchasing it for seven years now. We are using the Grain Free PURE Elements and it keeps him healthy. I recommend Canidae. It has good value for what it performs with my dog and hopefully it’s postponing their lifespan, because of the ingredients. I believe it also keeps him out of the vet more.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I've been purchasing Canidae for seven years now. I like that they do the Buy 12, Get 1 free, which is a nice perk for purchasing and being loyal. We have a German Shepherd who's almost nine and has a sensitive stomach, and we didn’t wanna pay for Prescription Diet food so our vet recommended Canidae as a good food for her stomach. She has been fairly healthy on Canidae so we don't change it up. Canidae helps maintain our pets' health, especially since our Shepherd has a lot of health issues.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I used Canidae's kidney variant. I have a sick dog that has kidney disease and he eats for a day and then he won't eat Canidae's food anymore. I've tried several different canned foods. I've also tried two different dry foods and he picks the kibbles out and eats a little bit of the food. He hasn't eaten at all for the past two days. I took him to the vet this morning, and I gave him some chicken and he threw that up this morning. He got his blood and urine checked and I'm going to find out tomorrow if he's getting worse, better or same.

I used to buy the cat food when I was a cat breeder. They had the special for Siamese and I was using that, and I used the mama cat and kitten food. I switched from Siamese to Oriental Shorthairs. I took them to shows and they got Herpes, and it spread through the cattery and so I only have one cat now. The cats did well until they got sick.

Hi Cathy,

We are sorry to hear about your dog's condition. We do not offer any prescription diets. Prescription diets are only available through veterinarians to address specific pet's' medical needs. If you have any questions please contact us at 800-398-1600 ext 0

Canidae Pet Foods expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Canidae is a premium dog food company, offering a variety of flavors and types of food to dogs throughout the United States.

• Grain-free foods: If your dog has a grain allergy or you would prefer to give him a natural diet, you can purchase grain-free foods here.

• Fresh meat and vegetables: These foods contain a blend of meat and vegetables providing your dog with optimal health.

• Made for pets in all stages of life: From puppy to senior, you'll be able to provide your dog with the nutrition he needs.

• Variety of flavors: Canidae offers unique flavors such as duck and bison as well as standard sources of protein like chicken or lamb.

• Quality control measures: All products go through rigorous quality control assessments such as testing ingredients before using them, testing the quality throughout the food preparation process and doing safety checks prior to releasing the food for sale.

• Best for: Puppies, pregnant or lactating dogs, senior dogs and active healthy dogs.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Canidae Pet Foods Company Information