4.69/5
Based on 195 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

CANIDAE is pet food made by pet people. We use the same ingredients we want for our own pets to make our foods. From working hard to form relationships with the farmers and ranchers that supply ingredients, to opening our own farm to grow ingredients and our own facility to cook the food—we’re dedicated to providing the best nutrition possible for the beloved dogs and cats that enrich our lives in so many ways. Sensitivities, picky dogs, multi-pet households, or healthy food on a budget, CANIDAE has your solution!

1479 Canidae Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 21, 2018

We've been using Canidae for 10 years. And we're currently using the All Types for our 44 pounds Border Collie. The breeder we dealt with told us that we had to use Canidae, and I’d recommend it as well.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 20, 2018

I like the integrity of the company and I've been using their dog food for about seven years now. My pit bull does fine on Canidae. I do add the probiotics to it and some glucosamine in the morning, and then I add liquid to the night meal where he really doesn’t chew. By and large, it’s very healthy for him. and I’m very pleased with it. I just got a blood test on him and the protein was a little bit high, but that could be because of the bananas and little treats. So I pretty much took those out and I now mix Canidae with a special protein dog food.

Original review: July 19, 2018

My dogs have been on Canidae's All Stages. They are at different birth rates and it suited their needs. I’ve been purchasing Canidae for eight years, and it is a good value. I don’t have any problems with my dogs, and I just got my vet bill the other day and they are tip-top. Canidae was also recommended by other pet owners and vets, and I like its availability through where I get it. There’s a rebate program that I use. It has been a good experience getting into the food so I’m not making any changes to that. And for the price point and the value and how my dogs have acted since they’ve been on Canidae, I will recommend it.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Our son has an English Bulldog and the people they bought it from suggested to use Canidae. And even at the pet store, they suggested it too. We always believed that we should continue feeding them whatever they were feeding at that time, so we stuck with it. We've purchased Canidae for over 10 years for my son's dog as well as for our dogs. It was really good but expensive.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I have a 4-year-old German Shepherd, 4-year-old Bulldog-Boston mix, and a 14-year-old Cocker Spaniel, and because of the problems they're having with their skin, I had to go with all-natural ingredients, grain-free dog food. I’ve been buying Canidae for about 10 years and the salmon flavor is really good. I've been very satisfied with Canidae and I'd recommend it. It was made in the USA, and they had the natural ingredient and everything that I was looking for.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Canidae Pet Foods?

Original review: July 7, 2018

My Beagle is my life. He's needy but he's so sweet and gentle, and I'd rather starve and get him the best food. He loves and enjoys Canidae. I've been giving it to him for six months and I have all kinds of different flavors of it. He likes the pink salmon, and I also have the red meat, chicken, and another sort of fish. Canidae is a good product. I like that it's fresh and it stays fresh, too and I'm gonna hang on to it for a while. I would also tell my friends to get it.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I have been purchasing Canidae food for four years now. I have a full-blood Golden, a mutt which is like a Sheltie terrier, a hound, and a Great Pyrenees Chow. I have a 10-year-old down to two-year-old. One of the reasons we changed to Canidae was their farts on the generic stuff. They were obscene. We were like, “This is not happening. This is our house. We’re not leaving the room.” I give them the dog food that our source said works for everybody. Feeding our pets with food with natural ingredients is top. I have recommended them already.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I have three dogs that have been using Canidae for about two years now. I eat natural ingredients for myself so I want my dogs to have natural ingredients, too. One of my dogs is a Bernese Mountain dog and he's sensitive to a lot of different food. And the vet recommended going with a bison-based protein, and our breeder did, too. So, I switched them all over to the bison. We've tried Life Stages but my Bernese Mountain dog can't eat Life Stages. It's got chicken and some other stuff in it that doesn't agree with him. Canidae is expensive and their Frequent Buyer Program helps. I appreciate the coupons that I get every once in a while to cut down in the cost because it's $60 a bag. And for three dogs, we go through a lot of dog food. But we're really happy with Canidae. The dogs are healthy and they're doing well.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I needed to get a pet food with higher Omega-3 because my 50 pounds Basset Hounds have skin conditions. I've been feeding them Canidae's lamb and rice for a couple of years. It's valuable feeding them natural ingredients, and they seem to do well with Canidae. I'm satisfied. The only thing is Canidae needs to educate the stores that sell their products a little better as far as the program where you buy 12 bags and you get one free. They're not very clear on that and it's frustrating when you have to go in and you have to argue to get your free bag. One of the bags that I had bought was a larger 50-pound size instead of having all the rest for the 30 pounds. And the retailer said that I couldn't get the free bag because I had one that was not the same size while the free bag I was getting was the 30 pounds. They wouldn't let me do it. I then wrote to the company and the rep ended up sending me a coupon for a free bag. So, it ended up working out.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I like Canidae and I've been using it for about four years. I have two Old English Bulldogs, Hank, weighing almost 100 pounds, and Imogene, who weighs 80 pounds. I feed them the one that has no wheat and no soy and that's grain-free. Now, I usually get the chicken or the salmon. And I noticed that their coats are all shiny. I use the canned ones as well. I would tell a friend to use Canidae.

Original review: July 2, 2018

Until very recently when I lost my dog, we've been using Canidae for our Dalmatian at home. We chose this food for its ingredients and fed it to him for at least a couple of years. He really enjoyed the pure salmon though I didn't go with Senior. I would rather feed less of adult food than feed the Senior, which doesn’t seem to have the same protein levels. I feel that -- Senior foods are filled with other things to decrease the calorie count.

I would never feed my Dalmatian anything but a natural brand. I notice that a lot of the dog food brands are going with pea protein and I’m very upset with many companies about that. So, I make it a big point to everyone I talked to that pea protein is not the way to go ‘cause companies are taking out meat protein in order to do it. I recommend Canidae.

Original review: July 1, 2018

My Westie has food sensitivities. I thought it was a behavioral issue when he would sit and just guard his food for awhile before eating. I switched to Canidae bison and he started eating right away. No more guarding. But I have noticed his skin & fur getting drier and shedding is greatly increased which surprised me. The bison food price has also increased substantially. I’m wondering if the salmon formula would be better for his skin & coat. Does anyone know? Or should I just add fish oil to his food?

Hi Barbara,

Thank you for your support and for your review. We are glad your Westie is enjoying the Grain Free PURE Land. Please contact us at 800-398-1600 ext 0 and we can get a sample of the PURE Sea right out to you.

Original review: July 1, 2018

I go to a healthier dog store and they recommended Canidae. We have a 6-year old Golden Retriever and I’ve been using it for four years. Sometimes, what the dogs eat can be very sensitive and it’s a good thing that we don’t have any issues from it. I have been trying to pay more attention to just giving foods. We try to achieve the same thing every day so we have to make sure that it’s good for us.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I had great experiences with Canidae from all the time that I bought their food. I've been purchasing it for about three years now for my five-year-old Lab Weimaraner Mix. I go back and forth between the Salmon, the Lamb, and the Bison. She seems to enjoy the flavors and never gets picky at meal time. She looks nice too. She has a better coat, her teeth looks a little bit cleaner, and she lost a little bit of weight, which is what we were aiming for. I work for Petco so I'm in the store all the time and we got the new Ancestral formulas. I haven't tried those out on her yet but the customer feedback seems good so far.

Original review: June 24, 2018

I've been purchasing Canidae for ten years now and I would recommend it. Canidae has that All Life Stages dog food. I had older dog, a younger dog and a middle dog. And so, I wanted to buy one food instead of buying a bunch of different ones. But I only have two dogs now. The older one passed of old age but did not experience diarrhea. The middle dog is a mountain Aire and will be 11 in August. He is in very good shape and his teeth are good. He weighs 45 pounds. The other one weights 55 maybe. Canidae has been a good food even for my older one. I think any time you eat something that’s good for you, it’s gonna be good for your body.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I’ve been purchasing Canidae food for five years. It's grain-free, it’s got a higher rating and the dogs seem to like it a lot. I have two dogs, an American Staffordshire and an English Staffordshire, five and four. It’s extremely valuable to feed our pets natural ingredients and Canidae does a lot of that. My dogs are healthy and we never had any issues while feeding it.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I have been purchasing Canidae food for my lab and a lab mix pets for 13 years already. I went with them because I heard it was a good dog food. I get it from a local feed store. My dogs' furs have been nice, shiny and soft since using it. I have in the past, every now and then, bought different flavors, but I keep with the one that is the cheapest, the ALS. I am very happy with the product. My dogs like it.

Original review: June 18, 2018

We always have full bred English Cockers and feeding them food with natural ingredients is important. We wanted something really good for our dogs and we used Canidae for so long, and I liked it a lot. However, I have switched recently to a more non-allergenic food because the dog I have now seemed to be a little more sensitive to it and it's not about the product. Canidae is great stuff.

Original review: June 15, 2018

We've been buying Canidae for 14 years. It’s the best quality out there, US made and no outside sourcing. And we’re happy with the way our dogs’ health have been. I have three cattle dogs and they’ve been on Canidae all their lives. We’ve had other dogs too and we found the best health in all of them with Canidae. They all seemed pretty happy with it too. We always recommend Canidae. We’ve had dogs that have been sensitive allergy-wise and everything goes great with them too.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I liked Canidae's ratings, ingredients and the quality control. Also, I wanted to switch to grain-free. I had used something else and for whatever reason it didn't agree with my dog after a few months so I switched to Canidae. I haven't had any problem and I’ve stayed there since. I've always done a PURE series. I used to use one of the other ones in the PURE series but I needed to get one with the lower protein content. I'm on the PURE Land now and it's great because I have no issues with my Lab getting sick or with it not agreeing with her. She's consistently stable. Every time she goes to the vet, the vet says, "Oh, how pretty your coat is."

Original review: June 9, 2018

Someone told my daughter that Canidae food helped with my pets' hair. We have been buying from them eight to nine years and while we don't have our previous dog anymore, we have a new German Shorthair that's only two years old and she seems to be doing all right. Feeding my dog natural ingredients makes them healthier and there are a lot of those in Canidae. My previous dog lived to be 15, going on 16 years. We tell everybody that's what we feed our dog.

Original review: June 6, 2018

CANIDAE Life Stages Dry Cat Food for Kittens, Adults & Seniors - After years of my cat eating Iams Indoor Weight/Hairball control, she too began throwing up. I came to this website to find out why. Hundreds upon hundreds of cat owner all say the same thing... the formula must have changed because their cats are throwing up. Once again, I came to this website for ideas on a better brand of cat food. My cat has gone from throwing up on Iams to not eating THIS food at all. She'd rather starve than eat one morsel of this food.

I'm completely mystified by all the rave reviews for this product. I just don't get it. My exclusively indoor cat has never been a picky eater nor has she ever been sick, but she WILL NOT eat this food. Mixing with other kibble or attempts to flavor it has done little to encourage her to try it, much less eat it. I spent $35.00 on a 15 lb bag of cat food that my cat shrinks away from at the smell. How can I expect her to eat it? Such a waste of money. Now I'm on the hunt for yet another brand of cat food. This is not going to be an easy task since my choices are throwing up, diarrhea, adverse health reactions, or starvation.

Hi Karin,

Thank you for trying CANIDAE Cat Food. We are very sorry to hear that your cat has not liked this formula. We have our satisfaction guarantee and we will be happy to work with you to try to find a formula you cat will love. I have sent you an email to offer samples of some of our different formulas for her to try. We would also like to check the best by date so we can guarantee the freshness of this bag. Thank you!

Original review: June 3, 2018

My dog Bruno is a ten year old German Shepherd and he has sensitivity to chicken. Other than Blue Buffalo, Canidae was the only brand that didn’t have chicken at the time. Canidae doesn’t have chicken fat. Everything else has it even though they say beef. Canidae has clean, limited ingredients. I buy the Blue Buffalo, too. Lamb and rice also does not have chicken. So I alternate, but he gets probably 70% Canidae. My dog has been having Canidae for at least ten years and it works great. He does really great on it. And if you read the labels, you have to give him seven cups Purina for a dog his size. But if you buy a better dog food like Canidae, you only give him three to three and a half cups for the same type of nutrition. So even though the other brands are a little less expensive, you feed them with the same amount of nutrition. So overall, I recommend Canidae all the time.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I've been purchasing Canidae for my pets on and off for the last four years. I have 2 dogs, a boxer and a bulldog mix, and they are 9 and 5. One dog has allergies and she doesn't have an outbreak when she eats Canidae. I stay away from the chicken since I heard from the vet she's allergic to that. And I've been getting the duck meal and brown rice in the past, but now they've switched that and so I get the orange trim bag. Also, feeding them natural ingredients is valuable and I am really pleased with the product. Other pet owners should try Canidae too.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I tried many online dogs’ food stores but all they promised to deliver a quality of foods but every time they fail to provide quality. Then one of my friends gives me an idea to use their services. I was the little bit confusing at the start because I was fear due to previous experience. I decided to try once. I was surprised by the quality, delivery time, customer care and finally outcomes of food. They are 100/100 in all departments. Due to high quality, our whole family decides to hire them also for pets control and security control of our home. They are superb. I wish I could give 6 stars. Thank you so much.

Original review: May 31, 2018

We used to buy a different brand of dog food but then they had a problem where they had to recall it and our supplier quit selling it. Canidae was recommended where we bought the food and we switched to it. We've been purchasing the yellow bag for a few years now and we’ve been really happy with it. We try to take really good care of our animals and feeding our dog natural ingredients is very important to us. We have a Golden Retriever that has a sensitive stomach and we’ve been feeding him the chicken meal and rice formula ever since we started buying it. He tolerated it really well for whatever reason and he’s a little over 10 now. He is physically in good shape and not overweight.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I've been purchasing Canidae Pet Food for my dogs for about six years now, and so far, my dogs do well on it. I have a degree in animal nutrition so I’m very picky about my dog food. I personally prefer dog food with natural ingredients for my budget and my pets and Canidae keeps a reasonable price for the quality of their ingredients versus some other pet foods that charge astronomical amounts.

I feed my mastiff and my boxer the grain-free one, and they eat a cup of food in the morning and a cup of food at night. The boxer was a rescue and around 13 years old. For the age that he is in and for boxers, that’s old, but he has all of his teeth and no bone, joint, muscle or structural issues. He's got the perfect weight and doesn't have tumors too. The only thing with Canidae, though, was that they have a deal where if I turn in so many UPC codes, I'd get free dog food. But they switched their bag and now, it's a little less convenient to be able to get the rewards from it. But other than that, I recommend this brand to a lot of people.

Original review: May 27, 2018

My vet recommended Canidae and for seven years, I've been buying the All Life Stages for my Boxer. And it took care of my dog’s eating problem. I'd recommend Canidae.

Original review: May 26, 2018 One of our dogs was having a stomach sensitivity and then he ended up eating well with Canidae. He passed away one year ago, but we’re still using Canidae

with our other dogs and it has been about seven years. It has quality ingredients and the dogs like it.

Original review: May 25, 2018

We adopted a 10 year old kitty about 2 years ago. She had been on a crappy quality canned food diet so we weaned her off that and introduced to her the grain free limited ingredient diet - fresh chicken kibble. Simple recipe for sensitive cats. She loved it but would gobble it up so quickly she would sometimes vomit. So we integrated another type of high quality food that she liked and we had no problem with her keeping it down. So now we give her her favorite kibble but only as a treat and she still loved it. She meows like crazy to have her "treats."

Unfortunately it seems that the recipe has changed, though, and we cannot get her to even try one single morsel. She turns her nose up to it. We bought another bag of the very same thing and she continues to turn her nose up to it. The other day I found a small zip lock bag of her original kibble that I had put aside for a trip. She went crazy for it. So now I am certain that the recipe has changed. Something added or deleted and she hates the new bags we bought for her. This is not an inexpensive food and we've wasted somewhere around $40 because she won't eat it. It's not a matter of her being finicky. The exact same label each time. So, I'm just wondering if the company was aware that there was a change in their ingredients. It's enough for me to not want to throw away my money again.

Hi Cindy,
We are very sorry to hear that your cat has not like the recent purchased bags of her cat food. We are committed to excellence and providing our customers' pet's with superior quality nutrition. If you are not completely satisfied with your product, you can return the unused portion along with the sales receipt to the place of purchase for a full refund or replacement or we are always happy to help you with that as well.

I have sent you an email to discuss the formula and to get you some samples of our other formulas to see if she likes another one better. I am confident we can find something that she not only likes but loves again! Thank you!

Canidae Pet Foods expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Canidae is a premium dog food company, offering a variety of flavors and types of food to dogs throughout the United States.

• Grain-free foods: If your dog has a grain allergy or you would prefer to give him a natural diet, you can purchase grain-free foods here.

• Fresh meat and vegetables: These foods contain a blend of meat and vegetables providing your dog with optimal health.

• Made for pets in all stages of life: From puppy to senior, you'll be able to provide your dog with the nutrition he needs.

• Variety of flavors: Canidae offers unique flavors such as duck and bison as well as standard sources of protein like chicken or lamb.

• Quality control measures: All products go through rigorous quality control assessments such as testing ingredients before using them, testing the quality throughout the food preparation process and doing safety checks prior to releasing the food for sale.

• Best for: Puppies, pregnant or lactating dogs, senior dogs and active healthy dogs.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor

Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Canidae Pet Foods Company Information