4.55/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

CANIDAE is pet food made by pet people. We use the same ingredients we want for our own pets to make our foods. From working hard to form relationships with the farmers and ranchers that supply ingredients, to opening our own farm to grow ingredients and our own facility to cook the food—we’re dedicated to providing the best nutrition possible for the beloved dogs and cats that enrich our lives in so many ways. Sensitivities, picky dogs, multi-pet households, or healthy food on a budget, CANIDAE has your solution!

Canidae Pet Foods Video
Canidae Pet Foods Gallery (6)
View More View More

1532 Canidae Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I’m a breeder of multigen Australian Labradoodles and I’ve been using Canidae for about six years. It's great. I have tried several different brands and I go to a website that rates dog food by the paws, 5 being the best, top-of-the-line food and 0 being the worst. Canidae is a 4 on that website. Plus when I read that Canidae was from a local person and what nutrients are in it, I thought it was great. The four-meat one caught my attention because I have so many dogs and the price was right. But then I found out that some of my puppies were allergic to the chicken. I switched because you can’t give puppies chicken or beef in the first year of their life. I switched to the Lamb and the Rice then sometimes, I use the grain-free one too. I like that one.

The dogs are doing great on Canidae. The best part about it is that it’s easier for the puppies to eat, transitioning from mother’s milk to whole food. It's easier because I mix it with another brand of food, which is grain-free, and it works great. When people purchase the puppies, I give them a shopping list. I recommend Canidae. When the puppies go home, they have to eat what they've been eating. That’s also part of my guarantee. I guarantee the puppies' health for two years but if the people aren’t feeding them the proper nutrition, then the guarantee is null and void.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

We get rewards by using Canidae and it's good for my pets. My one cocker lived 15 years. We had a young cocker and an older cocker, plus we had an older lab and they just devour it. I feed our pets the best that we could find and Canidae seemed to be the best with the ingredients. My mother-in-law pushes it on us too. My wife actually has friends that she takes the dog food to because they don’t have it in their area. She purchases it for them at my mother-in-law’s store. It has been a great product for us and we have never changed it. We were changing dog foods for a while and it seemed like Canidae is the one that the dogs have really liked, and they don’t get tired of it.

Canidae Pet Foods response
Thank you for your many many years of support and for recommending it as well. That is so nice for your wife in helping supply it to friends who cannot get it in their area. We greatly appreciate you and your dogs support and are happy that they have loved CANIDAE for 15+ years.

Any questions please contact us at 800-398-1600 ext 0 or support@canidae.com

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I have a Labrador, a Chihuahua and a mixed breed and they are raised on Canidae. It is important for me to feed them natural ingredients. I would recommend Canidae to my friends.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you! We appreciate you and your dogs support and thank you for your rating and review. Any questions please contact us at 800-398-1600 ext 0 or support@canidae.com Thanks again!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I had my dogs eat Canidae for about two years. I had an extra-large English Mastiff and a black Lab at that time and Canidae was the biggest bag for the cheapest price with decent ingredients. But we got rid of one dog and my English Mastiff needed better ingredients from Canidae because of the allergies and he continued to break out. So we went with a different brand. But Canidae was great. There was nothing wrong with them. We just needed to adjust with the transition of another dog and the ingredients.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you for your support and for your review. We do have new formula available and we would love to help you find one that fits your dogs needs. Feel free to email us at support@canidae.com or call us at 1-800-398-1600 and we would be happy to help you find a formula. Thanks again!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I wanted better quality food for my dogs. I did my research and when I spoke to my vet, he told me that Canidae was excellent. Since then, I've been using Canidae for 11 years now and I've had an excellent experience with the brand. My hound mix had to be taken off it because he has Cushing's and they were afraid it was a food allergy. Still, my eight-year-old Golden Retriever has been on it ever since she was a pup and she has been doing beautifully on it. I highly recommend this brand.

Canidae Pet Foods response
Thank you for your many many years of support! We greatly appreciate you and your dogs and for taking the time to leave us your great review.

Any questions please contact us at 800-398-1600 ext 0 or support@canidae.com

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Canidae Pet Foods?

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

First I would like to say that Canidae dog food is excellent. We have been feeding it to our 6 month old pup for two months with excellent results. I just want to be clear that my issue is not with the food. I was introduced to Canidae by Susan **, the Canidae in-store rep at Petco in Irvine, California. She has been very helpful with both dry and wet food suggestions and given me coupons as well. One of the reasons I like Canidae (besides the high quality product) is that they present as a family-run company that cares about its product, its customers, and its employees.

So today I was surprised to find out that all their store reps, including Susan, were laid off VIA EMAIL, WITH ONE WEEKS’ NOTICE. She said it was because Canidae is doing very well and feels it no longer needs in-store reps to promote its product. Fair enough, but if you’re doing so well, you should pass that along to your employees by letting them go IN PERSON, with a minimum two weeks’ notice. Given your reputation as being a company that cares, that would be the least you could do. Disappointed at your lack of compassion for your own employees. Hoping you’ll treat them more fairly as you continue to grow.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Your dog will love you. This dog food is the best. I was giving my dogs other top brand dog food. My dogs are very picky. Found Canidae all stages chicken and rice. My dogs love it. Thought I tried the rest but this is the best. Just try it you will see. Thank you guys at Canidae for making my dogs happy as well as myself lol.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thanks Tony! Thank you for your great review. We greatly appreciate you and your dogs support and we are so very happy that your dogs love it! Thanks again!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

First bag - great. My dog loved it. Second bag - she started to foam while eating. Her energy went down, stopped eating. Vet visit - was going on for 6 weeks! 7 vet visits. Something in that food made her really sick! Ordered new brand today! Hope no one else will experience the stress and vet cost we did because of the food!!!

Hi Kinga,

We are very sorry to hear of your experience and that your dog was not feeling well. You have also contacted us and we got back to you letting you know that we do not have any reports of any bad batches. All products are tested during the manufacturing process. Finished product is set aside and is not released until it passes our "Test and Hold" protocols. We requested the manufacturing code, best by dates and product upc codes and unfortunately you no longer had those. Again we are sorry to hear of your experience and ask that you contact us if we can offer any further assistance. We can be reached at 800-398-1600 ext 0 or support@canidae.com .

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I've been using Canidae for about three years for my dogs. I have two medium-sized spaniels. I have an older dog who’s 12 and I make it a priority to feed them natural ingredients. They seem to tolerate Canidae well and have few illnesses.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

2 days ago I walked into Petco to buy my 4 month pitbull some treats she really likes. I came across a salesman from Canidae asking what was I feeding my pit. I responded Pedigree puppy food. She of course said it was really bad because it contained corn. She showed me her product and she handed me a $5 coupon off. I purchased the chicken and rice dry food. My dog ate it once it was her time to eat and when I took her out for her walk, she had diarrhea. I hear a lot of bad things about Pedigree but nothing like this ever happened to my pup. Now that I did the change she has been having diarrhea for two days now. Will NEVER purchase this brand ever again!

Canidae Pet Foods response

We are very sorry to hear that. Our dog food and cat food formulas contain more meat and less carbohydrates than most other brands. We have found that the smoothest transition from one dry pet food to another is to simply mix the foods together. This process should usually take about seven days until you are feeding your pet 100% of the new food. You can increase the transition time if your dog or cat is particularly sensitive to menu changes.

Our dog food and cat food formulas contain more meat and less carbohydrates than most other brands. While a higher meat to carbohydrate ratio provides a healthier diet, those pets who are used to eating a different diet will transition easier if the old food and new food are mixed together at varying ratios for a short time. We recommend a 7 day transition period to smoothly make the switch as gentle as possible on your pet’s digestive system.

Our formulas are also more nutritionally dense than many other brands. As a result, your dog or cat will feel fuller and need fewer servings per day than what you may have been feeding previously. Many pets find our food to be more palatable than other brands, so some will want to eat more than their recommended daily amount. Please pay close attention and follow the daily servings guidelines on the back of the bag! And make sure to always offer plenty of fresh water to your pet.

Any abrupt change to a different diet can cause some pets to experience gastro-intestinal upset (for example: loose stools or vomiting). While this upset usually disappears in a matter of days, it can often be avoided by following these simple transition guidelines. Unlike humans, dogs and cats often eat the same diet for months or years and their digestive systems are not as used to change as ours are!

I have also sent you an email to offer you assistance on how to help transition with little to no prior food.

Please visit the link below for additional tips for transitioning. Which I have also included in the email and PM to you.

You can also reach us at 800-398-1600 ext 0 or support@canidae.com

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I had an overgrown Miniature Pinscher as a pet. I rescued him from a woman in Connecticut. She had all of her dogs on Canidae, and my dog preferred the salmon flavor. I have been purchasing Canidae dog food on and off for him for 15 years. I tried a different brand every once in a while but he always loved Canidae. When I tried another brand he just sniffed it and looked up at me so I knew I was in trouble. He liked the training treats. I would mix it with boiled egg so he would get his extra protein. When he got older, I mixed it with some roasted chicken just to get him to eat a little more. I would put them in peanut butter in the Kong. They were crunchy and he liked crunchy food. I have recommended Canidae to a lot of people. Canidae has a Buy 10, Get One Free program, which was good.

Canidae Pet Foods response
Thank you for your many years of support and for recommending CANIDAE. We are glad to hear how well your Min Pin loved CANIDAE!

Any questions please contact us at 800-398-1600 ext 0 or support@canidae.com

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I love Canidae. My feed store recommended Canidae and their knowledge of the product convinced me to get it. I got my daughter to purchase Canidae for her dog, part wiener and part terrier, who wasn’t pooping solid and wasn’t pooping enough. But when we put him on the Canidae, everything was hunky dory. I was convinced that it was superior and that it really helped with energy levels. I got the one with the glucosamine for the big-hip dogs and they’re very good. The retail pet stores don’t carry it though. I always had to order through a feed store or through Chewy.com. I also dog-walk and dog-sit for people and I try to get people to use it too.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

We tried a couple of others but one of my dogs had loose bowels, and the other one never seemed full. We decided with what we got with the Family Pet Center here in Green Bay. They had suggested to try Canidae so we did, and we've stuck with it since. We get the All Life Stages and I wish we can get more coupons for it since every once in a while, the pet store will give us coupons. Nonetheless, we have recommended Canidae to a lot of people.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I've been using Canidae for 12 years now, and I feed it to my Afghan Hound and little English Toy Spaniel Mix. It's not a run-of-the-mill grocery store brand, and it has a long shelf life. I can buy a big bag for two dogs and not worry about it being bad by the time I'm done. I also like their buy 12, get one free program. Both my dogs are seniors now, so I kept with the same food. I use All Stages, and I like the fact that Canidae doesn't have all the other ingredients that are too scary.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Canidae has better ingredients and we used it for about 5 years for our cat and dog. Our eight-year-old male cat liked the Canidae but he was finicky. When the cat food got old, he didn't finish eating what was in his bowl. I would have to dump that out and put fresh food in and then put the older stuff back on top so he’d eat that and it won’t go rancid. I had to do that with the dog food too. The big bag fills 2 food grade containers and by the time we got to halfway through the second pail, the food would be rancid. We could smell it. Our 13-year-old dog won’t eat it too.

We used to buy the chicken flavored ones and we like that the idea that Canidae had three to one ratio between fat and carbs. If it's less than that, then that’s what fattens pigs. The dog was overweight and used to stink when we first got him. He became very active when he was here with us and he slimmed right down just by giving him Canidae dog food. Even though we gave him more than what he was supposed to be eating, he still slimmed down. Also, he had the right calcium and the things that he needed from the dog food so the odor went away.

We liked the dog food but we got so tired of having to throw some out because it would always go rancid on us. We stopped feeding Canidae to our pets 8 months ago even though they are not really fond of what we've got right now and our dog is having a problem chewing. He’s a Blue Heeler and they’re cattle dogs that like to chase the horses. Sometimes, he gets kicked in the mouth by the horses if he doesn’t watch what he’s doing. His teeth are getting real sensitive, so I've been adding water to the dog food to make it softer. But he really doesn’t like it. He really didn’t like that dog food in the first place but at least it wasn’t rancid.

During the summer, we would buy smaller bags, but then we would be in the grocery store all the time buying the smaller bags. A couple of stores close by just have the bigger ones. To get a smaller bag, we had to go way down to Eau Claire that is 40 miles away. I wish Canidae would have a softer dog food too for dogs that can’t chew the hard stuff. My husband reads a lot of labels and he says that Canidae is about the best that we can come across.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

My girlfriend who had a dog on Canidae recommended it and my dog has done very well on it. When I got him as a pup, he had a problem with his skin which was really bad, like canine acne. He also had a few other things wrong. I had him on a product that had grain in it, then I decided to try Canidae because it was grain-free and it cleared him up quickly, in about a week. He’s a bit overweight right now. He’s a 120-pound Doberman and when he wants to eat, he knocks his bowl until I put food on it. It’s the limited ingredients dry lamb and rice in the brown bag. Feeding my pet natural ingredients is 100% valuable. I’ve been through two other Dobermans that had horrible health problems and I can relate it all back to the food I was feeding them. I just wish I have started them on this product. They probably wouldn’t have had the problems they did.

We’re not happy though that they raise the prices so much but my dog loves the food. He’s picky sometimes about what he eats but he wants this hard food. We also feed him meat but he also has to have his hard food. His energy levels are over the top and he has been healthy for the years we’ve had him so far. Also, everybody always comments on his coat which is so shiny and beautiful. He is short-haired and he is black and when he’s in the sun, he is almost like a mirror. His teeth have stayed wonderful with this food too. Canidae is a super product.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I've been using Canidae for a long time and I'm very happy with it. I've been feeding my dogs the dry dog food and I get some of the Canidae dog treats, too. There are no preservatives in Canidae. I won't feed my dogs any other dog food. I feed them All Life Stages and my last three dogs that I've had, they've been on it ever since they were little. I've been very satisfied.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Canidae had a low rate of recall, and I like its ingredients. I've been buying the All Life Stages for my six year old German Shepherds. I would want them to have the same quality of food that I do, considering all the recalls and deaths that you see out there from bad pet food. I haven’t had any issues since they’ve been on Canidae. They maintain good coat and body weight. I would recommend Canidae.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you Roberta, We appreciate you and your dogs support and for your recommendation, rating and review. Any questions please contact us at 800-398-1600-ext 0 or support@canidae.com

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I’ve been using Canidae for at least 10 years. It was recommended by the pet store owner that I know and his successor also recommended it and I have continued to use it. I have a Labrador mix who's now 10 years old and I buy Life Stages because of her age. It was the most effective dog food to provide her. It keeps the pet healthy and the most telling criteria is her coat. I also had two Labrador mixes before her and their coats were always in good shape with very little, if any, shedding. I continue to use Canidae. I have experimented with some other dog foods just to see if there was any remarkable difference and I found that I go back to Canidae every time.

Canidae Pet Foods response

We thank you for your many many years of support. We are so happy to hear how well your dogs do on their CANIDAE and we appreciate your wonderful review.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Canidae was recommended for the type of dog I have when I first got her as a puppy. She is a St. Bernard and it was the type of food that was good for her. She is a scarfing dog and they said that for Canidae, they tend to eat less food. She’s 170 pounds and it’s important that she is healthy and not over-eating. I noticed that when she was around cheaper brand food, she will immediately scarf it up probably because it tastes better since it has a lot of additives and salt. I’ve been using Canidae for eight years and we have had a good experience with it.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Canidae was recommended by a friend because of its nutritional value and stuff that it has. I've been feeding it to my Bearded Collie, Pit bull and Shih Tzu. They've been healthy throughout the whole time. Canidae has been well tolerated and they seem to enjoy it.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Canidae was recommended by the pet food store that I was going to and I fed it to my cat for six years. We had our cat for 16 years but she passed away. Since our pets are our family members, we should only feed them the same thing that we would eat so feeding them natural ingredients was extremely valuable. My cat needed something that was grain-free. When I used Canidae, I didn't experience any negative stage from it, so I used the Senior for senior cats, and I had a positive experience.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

My girlfriend had cancer and was in the hospital for six months. When she got out, she started researching all the dog foods. She would buy it and then distribute it to all of us out here on the farm. So, I've been doing it for 20 years. One of my Border Collies had a bunch of joint swelling. I was feeding him dog food that wasn’t labeled and I was gonna slowly switch her over to mine but she ended up being allergic to potatoes. She could have sweet potatoes but no grain and no potatoes. So, I started researching the no-grain stuff. I just found out that Canidae was going grain-free, so that was neat, because I've got a couple of Border Collies that are really sensitive. Our pets are more sensitive than humans.

A next door neighbor raises German Shepherds and we did a supplement at the same time that I tried the new grain-free. So, between the two of them, it has really helped because the one that had all the problems with his joints is back to normal now. These Border Collies are the pickiest eaters in the whole wide world and when Canidae gave me samples of the dry raw, I just put it on my hand to see which ones would eat it and which ones wouldn't. Every single one of them ate it, so I was pretty excited about that.

I tell everybody that I've only had one dog in my whole life that has ever had cancer but I've never had a dog that was fed Canidae that had cancer. I do a lot of babysitting for my friends’ dogs and I warned everybody that I’m feeding Canidae to my dogs and not to bring theirs. I had Junction City order me Canidae and now, their supplier is starting to stock it. I educated them about it and that’s all I tell people to feed. Canidae is all I ever believe in.

Diane,
Thank you so much for a wonderful review. We are so happy we were able to provide you with a good healthy nutritious food for your dogs and that you have seen such improvement since you started. We are very happy to hear how well your picky border collies loved our new Raw Coated Grain Free PURE Ancestral line as well. We are thankful and appreciate you and your dogs. Thank you again.

If ever any questions please contact us at 800-398-1600 ext 0 or support@canidae.com

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

The breeder I got my rottweiler from got me started on Canidae and I used it for about seven years. However, I stopped using it due to the price. The place that I purchased Canidae from recommended another pet food and I went with that. It has pretty much the same ingredients but is significantly less in price.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you for your many years of support John. We appreciate you and your dogs support. I have reached out to you about some cost saving tips. Thank you!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Canidae has quality products that are affordable and I'm glad it stays the same over the years I've used it. It's also affordable. Canidae is natural food for our dogs and we love our dogs, so we wanna provide them with the best food we can. We have three rescue dogs and they’re mixes. They are like our kids and we don’t wanna just give them anything now that we’re more educated in dog food brands. Our dogs are all different ages and we use Life Stages as we wanted to go with one food for everyone. The oldest of our dogs is 10 years old and they’re still very active. They never had any medical problems. I’m a satisfied customer.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

We bought Canidae for about a year through the farm supply store but I switched to Blue Buffalo because of price and availability. Canidae was not a bad product and I would recommend it.

Canidae Pet Foods response
Thank you for your recommendation and your support!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Our dog is doing very well with Canidae. We were looking for a grain-free form of dog food and the trainer recommended Canidae to us. Our dog is a German Shepherd and we started feeding her Canidae when she was very young and started eating dry kibble. She’s now eight years old and a very healthy dog. She gets a lot of exercises and is in a very good shape. We're happy with that and so we stuck with Canidae for a long time until it was no longer available where we live. I’m glad that products like Canidae are available for pet owners who are willing to spend a little bit more for that kind of food.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

We bought this food for our indoor and outdoor cats. Neither of them would touch it. We tried it for two days, not giving them any other food, but still they would not touch it. Once we went back to their regular food, they ate well again. My husband took your cat food to our timber and set it out for the raccoons, opossums, and coyotes. They too did not touch it. We were shocked to see that even wild animals would not eat it. We bought the 8lb bag at a Menard's Nebraska. This is the first time a pet of ours has not eaten a food we bought for them. Just a weird occurrence.

Canidae Pet Foods response

We are very sorry to hear that. We would like to talk to you about the best by date to see what that was. We have many formulas to meet the liking's of many cats. We are happy to work with you on finding a formula the your cat loves. I have sent you a PM to further assist you and your cats in finding that formula they love.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I have been using Canidae for our dogs since I moved in with my husband, but he has been using it longer. He worked at a pet food store in Seattle twenty years ago and he learned a lot from the inside out about the ingredients in pet foods and overall healthiness of the foods. He’s been using Canidae consistently since then. He feels that the whole nutrient profile, the sourcing and the ingredients of the Canidae are superb. We have one Rottweiler mix that's 11 and healthy. Canidae is our favorite choice of pet food and we have good feelings about it.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

We purchased cat food from Canidae for about three years and stopped doing so when we switched our cats to the same brand as the dog food that we were using. But we were happy with Canidae for as long as we were purchasing it. It was a good product, and we liked the buy 12, get one free promo, especially with two cats. That kind of promotional offer was valuable. Though I would like Canidae to put food storage and recommendation of sizes of bags. We had been pouring food into plastic storage containers, so inadvertently, we were affecting the quality of the food by our own storage method because we just didn’t know any better. We also like try to buy a bigger bag once in a while and by the time Canidae got through it, it was not as good.

Canidae Pet Foods expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Canidae is a premium dog food company, offering a variety of flavors and types of food to dogs throughout the United States.

• Grain-free foods: If your dog has a grain allergy or you would prefer to give him a natural diet, you can purchase grain-free foods here.

• Fresh meat and vegetables: These foods contain a blend of meat and vegetables providing your dog with optimal health.

• Made for pets in all stages of life: From puppy to senior, you'll be able to provide your dog with the nutrition he needs.

• Variety of flavors: Canidae offers unique flavors such as duck and bison as well as standard sources of protein like chicken or lamb.

• Quality control measures: All products go through rigorous quality control assessments such as testing ingredients before using them, testing the quality throughout the food preparation process and doing safety checks prior to releasing the food for sale.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Canidae Pet Foods Company Information