Canidae Pet Foods

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I have had my 3 dogs on Canidae dog food for 8 years now and I could not be happier with the food. I use to feed a food that I was told was very good and all my dogs were at the vet every couple months with scratching and sometimes hot spots. When I went to a dog event, I was talking with a retail store that had a booth and they mentioned some ingredient issues that may be causing the issues I was see with my dogs. They gave me samples and I didn't think much about it until my next costly vet visit. I switched foods and 2 dogs did get very loose stools but the store recommended to try some pumpkin. It worked great and they got over the loose stools in a couple of weeks. Now I do a vet visit every couple of years and everything is going great. I am sure my vet misses the visits but I do not. I recommend this food all the time and I have not had anyone complain after they switch. If they notice a loose stool I tell them to try pumpkin and it seems to work well.

We like to stay for about a dollar per pound price range, and Canidae was recommended to us by a local pet food store. It seemed to work well and one of the big things with it was it's all made in America. I use Canidae to feed a four-year Cattle Dog mutt, his name is Raylin and then an approximately eight-year old German shepherd mutt named Guster. Canidae is a pretty good product at a fair price, makes me feel better, and then makes me feel like I'm doing a good job as I can do.

I bought a puppy from a well-known breeder that uses Canidae, and she sent the Canidae home with the puppy. I figured if it was good enough for her. Feeding my Daschunds natural ingredients is very valuable. Unless I was in a situation that I couldn't afford it, I would not feed them anything else. Since I've been feeding my dogs Canidae, they haven't had health issues. Their coats are also very nice and shiny. I'm on the Breeder program, so I buy five bags and then they send me a coupon for the sixth bag. It's good value dog food at a good price.

I have four dogs in four different stages. I have an elderly, a little puppy, and medium ones who are a year and a year and a half. We get Canidae PURE for them which is grain-free and they love it. Canidae is such a good brand. My elderly dog, an American Bulldog, is allergic to everything under the sun so it's perfect for him. We've tried other brands but they have too much protein in their food.

We've been purchasing Canidae for 10 years and our experience has been great. We've got old dogs and one that's not so old, so we've been buying the Life Stages for them. Our dogs like it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Canidae Pet Foods?

My dogs have allergies and they're picky. Canidae was the one that they ended up liking and could eat. The dog I had when I started using Canidae was a Pit but I don't have it anymore. I now have a Shepherd mix puppy so I tried Life Stages but she doesn't like it at all. I also tried her on Canidae PURE Puppy but she doesn't really like it, too. She tried the one with Bison and she likes it so I'll probably get that from now on.

Canidae was recommended at the pet store and my dog seems to like it so I've been buying it for years. We're satisfied.

Both of our dogs had a little bit of sensitivity and Canidae was the one that they tolerated the most. Life Stages is the one we've always stuck with. When our dogs were pups, we've mixed Life Stages in with Canidae Wet Food and then continued on with it from there. We've had a possibly bad bag that the dog hasn't wanted, and any time that we've contacted Canidae, they've responded.

I had my dogs on Nutro for 10 years and they had done beautifully, then all of a sudden it started making them sick. They were throwing up, didn't want to eat it, and just laying around with no energy. I did a lot research trying to find good food and didn't have a whole lot of luck with that, because every food out there has been recalled at some time. So I called my breeder back and she had her kennel on Canidae for years and had very good results. I noticed that there had not been a recall on this food since 2009 and it looked like a fairly good food. She told me it was, so I decided I'd try it with a bag and I'm having good results with it so far.

I have three Bichon Frises. All three of them are males and two of them are six months apart. One will be 11 next month and six months later, the other one will also be 11 years old. The younger dog is a year and a half. They've all been on the dry limited ingredient pure essentials made with lamb for about six weeks now. When I first put them on this food, about two weeks later, they started to pep up and they are really doing well with it. I'm having excellent results with it so far.

I'm on my second bag of Canidae and I can definitely tell a huge difference. They're eating better and they seem to love the food. Their energy level has really gone up and they're back playing again. They're not laying around like they're sick and haven't thrown up even once. I'm pretty happy with the energy and the health-wise aspects of it.

I'm also happy with the food having natural ingredients in it. I had called them because I noticed there was an ingredient in the food that I wasn't sure about. They told me what it was and what it was for. I was very happy with the way that they responded and the way they took my call and were willing to help me understand what was in the food. They were available when I wanted to talk to them. Right off the bat, they were more than willing to answer any question I had. I have tried other dog food companies before and no one would take the time to answer my questions or even talk to me.

I would feel much more comfortable with Canidae after I've had my dogs on it a little lot longer and if I knew for sure it wasn't still made at the Diamond Factory. I know they have another factory that they built. I don't know if this particular food is still at the Diamond Factory or if they plan to move all of their food eventually to the new factory. That is one question I would be interested in, which I forgot to ask when I called them. But as of now I'm very happy with Canidae.

We have six dogs and they all like Canidae. We've been buying it for five years now and we get the 45-pound bag, the big one. Our dogs are healthy and Canidae is good for their coats. We've very satisfied and we'd recommend Canidae to anybody.

We were looking for a higher fiber content food for our old dog which had gland issues. Canidae has high quality pet food so we had him on it for probably 10 years. He's passed away though but we still do the All Life Stages for my other dog and the feline for my cat. They don't have as many medical bills because they're intaking good things. I'm very satisfied with Canidae.

We have been trying different pet foods that would work with the different dogs we had that were different ages and different breeds. We were down in Lake Havasu and there was a pet food store there that gave us Canidae samples. It worked for all our dogs so we've stuck with it. Our dogs all do really well with it so we've been very pleased with it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Canidae was recommended by my sister. She's a dog person and she had nine dogs so I thought it was a good thing. I've been buying Canidae for my 11-yr old golden retriever for 11 years now. I love it for her. She likes it and it's helped her a lot. However, it's getting expensive and I hope they can continue selling coupons. Also, we're missing the dog biscuits that they used to have. We love those, too.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My vet recommended Canidae Pet Foods for my pets. I have Boxers with ages, 11, 4, 3 and 1 and I'm giving them Canidae All Life Stages chicken and rice flavor and they all seem to like it. I also had a litter puppy that I had the Canidae as well. I've only been feeding my pets for about three months so I haven't seen a big difference yet. But I know it's all natural and feeding my pet natural ingredients is very valuable. It would be nice though if the company could use more of a plastic packaging, instead of the paper which seems to rip easily and bugs can get in there. I also requested puppy kit and I did not receive any.

We've been purchasing Canidae for about 5 years now because they have a more natural selection. I have a 6-yr old Vizsla named Meg and I use the Pure Sea for her. I used to get the Chicken but it wasn’t pure - it had grain in it. She used to never eat her food right away but she’ll eat Pure Sea better than she used to eat the other. She would leave the Chicken until 6 o’clock at night, but she eats Pure Sea within an hour. Canidae is a good food and has a good customer service. They were super helpful when I did have a problem with a bag. They gave us a new bag and a coupon, too. They have been helpful any time I’ve had an issue. Being a smaller company, we’re able to get customer service from them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We have been purchasing Canidae food many years now. We’ve tried other brands but it went down to the nitty gritty. Canidae is what Shayana, our two-year-old Husky, likes. She really likes the Bison variant. We switch a little bit with the Canidae Pure canned dog food which she also likes. We mix it up so she doesn’t get bored. We find feeding Shayana natural ingredients to be very valuable. It’s important for her to have tasty, wholesome, reliable, and healthy food. Canidae plays a tremendous part in my pet’s health and well-being. Whenever we have her weighed at the vet clinic and every time we tell the vet what she is eating, she says, “Oh, good!” They know Canidae’s quality food also. If we had any other dog food, she would turn her nose up at it. It’s a plus for her to like it. We don’t have to worry about coaxing her. Every bag of Canidae is delicious and we continue buying it for her.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I read the "The Whole Dog Journal" and they test the foods and come out with an article every year of approved foods and I know that Canidae is always on the approved list and then also I was looking for a limited ingredient diet for my dog. It's high-quality food for a reasonable price. I'm currently feeding my dog the Pure one made from Bison. They also give great customer service. I was having some issues getting their coupons e-mailed to me and they took the time to respond to me and e-mailed the coupons and sent me some in the mail.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My Chihuahuas have always been on the Purina Puppy Chow, but then when I got these two new puppies (Bindi and Cosmo), my daughter was telling me that I should try better dog food. Then she found Canidae for me, she said that this one looks like it has good ingredients, so I tried it. I buy the Canidae Grain Free Pure Chewy Treats and their Grain Free Pure Foundations puppy formula.

Canidae is not sold in my town so I have to travel 30 minutes to the next town to buy it. When I go, I just buy a bunch of bags so I don’t run out. I try and find coupons because it’s a little pricey because with Purina, it’s very cheap, and this one is $13 a bag. When I first started buying the Canidae puppy chow, to me it looked like a different color and now, it seems like it’s darker and I wanted to know if they had changed the formula. I already contacted the company and asked me to take a picture. I sent a picture to them and they never responded back. But, the dogs like it, and are happy and I don’t have a problem with them being sick on it. Every now and then, we would see my 11-year-old chihuahua (whom I have been feeding Purina) go to Bindi and Cosmo's dog food to eat Canidae every day. We might switch all our dogs to Canidae.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have two six-month-old kittens and I didn't want any by-products or any filler in their food. I did a lot of research on the product and labeling and so I chose Canidae. I'm feeding them the Under the Sun Kitten-Adult canned food, the duck, the chicken and the turkey and I'm feeding the dry kitten by Canidae. The food is perfect for them. When I take them to the vet, the vet says they're completely healthy and at the right weight, they turned out to be beautiful Siamese kittens and I account for that for the food that they're getting. I just love the food. I'm very happy with it. I've had five Siamese cats over my lifetime and the last one I fed strictly Purina and I had some bad experiences with the Purina food and the vets feel that she passed away just because of the food.

My huge rescue dog, a great big 12-year-old 120-pound lab mix, had huge fist-sized patches of hair gone when I rescued him. I was researching what was going on with him when I got him and someone said, “You need to try Grain Free and that would make all the difference in the world.” So I was in The Feed Store asking about Grain Free and getting feedback from the employees and they said, “Just try Canidae.” And then I tried it with my dogs and they absolutely loved All Life Stages 44. My huge dog has got a gorgeous coat now and he’s totally happy and healthy. The size of the kibble and the ingredients are also good for all my dogs' breeds.

I rescued another dog, a bullmastiff, but I’m a full-time student and a widow, and so I’m pretty broke. I wrote Canidae a letter and said, “I rescued this dog. These are the circumstances. It’s wonderful dog food, and I want to have everybody on the same dog food.” And then they ended up sending me a voucher for a 44-pound bag of dog food and a bunch of coupons for dog food. It’s been very, very helpful and I’m just very, very grateful. I have recommended them to friends and I have got people to change from regular dog food to Canidae and to Grain Free.

I liked that Canidae was family-owned and had good quality ingredients which my dogs did well on. I left when they were packaging with Diamond. They called and told me they had their own facility opened again so I went back to them only to find out they lied and were still packaging with Diamond. I won’t buy it again. Diamond killed one of my dogs. I’m not okay with Canidae packaging with a company they know is responsible for so many animal deaths and sicknesses. Their customer service was good and their prices then were extremely fair.

I breed and raise German Shepherds. We raised working dogs, service dogs, detection dogs, so it’s all ages and we weaned to Canidae up until the elderly years. We bought canned, dry, the grain free, the PURE, the normal, all life stages, which we’ve used or were using on a regular basis. For a long time, my dogs did amazing on it. I had dogs that had allergies and ones that had sensitivities. I have working dogs which are hard to keep weight on even with the very expensive foods but there were times where the quality of the food wasn’t right and consistent enough.

I’ve actually gone through hundreds and hundreds of contacts just in the last couple of months to make sure we got everybody off of it. I’m extremely disappointed. I feel they’re dishonest and hide things, and it sucks because I loved them. I now spend four times as much on food to put them on raw because it’s too much of a pain.

I wasn't sure if my pets were having allergies or just getting old so I thought of starting to feed them better food. Canidae has no grains on it and has more natural products so I bought a bag of dry dog food in chicken flavor for my medium-sized dog named Sandy because she likes chicken. Canidae was really good and they also sent me some coupons which was really, really nice.

Six weeks ago, I switched from the brand that I've been using for three years. One of my friends sent me an email link about Canidae and that it was made in America. I watched the whole promotional video online and wanted to support the company. It seemed like the dog food was probably better than what I was using from Wellness. Canidae has been great, so far. However, I had ordered this new bag of the treat and was unaware that it had chicken fat in it. That was one issue I had and had to give the treats away to a friend. My dog is allergic to chicken, so I ordered the salmon, the sea dog food, then ordered the treats that went with those, assuming that they did not have any chicken in it because it said "good ingredients". But when they got here, it did have chicken fat, and I got them from Amazon so I was not able to return them.

I get the canned food, as well as the wet food to mix with it occasionally, but I've not had to do that like I did with Wellness. It's been six weeks since I started this, and I ordered a case of the wet food, thinking I would have to mix it to get him to eat it. However, I've never had to open one can. He eats it without ever having to put the wet food in it. The difference from the previous dog food is he actually enjoys Canidae. He's eager to eat, and doesn't leave the bowl the whole time he's eating. He loves it. I just wish they had some treats that had the same great ingredients as the dog food with no chicken fat and no by-products in it. I don't think they carry a single treat that doesn't contain chicken fat. But overall, Canidae is an awesome company. I wrote the company and told them about their treats and they were emailing me back and forth right away.

I saw Canidae's ratings for the All Stages were the highest and I purchased one small bag for the first time. It was also recommended by a breeder. I have two Aussiedoodles, a standard and a mini. The mini is two and the standard is about three months. I can feed both of them that one food. However, the All Life Stages didn’t go so well. I only used two scoops out of that bag. There was some serious projectile vomit as soon as one of them ate it so every morsel of it was out. I then switched to the Grain Free, both the puppy one and the Grain Free with the lamb, and that is working out much better. The biggest thing that I look for in dog food includes being grain free so that they don’t have the skin issue. The next is the dye to avoid the staining around the mouth. It's been great so far and everybody likes Canidae.

I’ve always believed in quality dog food and doing a research and some study on it, I came to the conclusion that Canidae was one of the best that we could afford without going overboard on price. We have a one-year-old French Mastiff and we had started out with doing the Large Breed Puppy but it doesn’t come in with Grain Free so I talked to our veterinarian and she said "it’s fine, just do it in the regular Puppy." My ultimate choice was going Grain Free because I felt that it had less fillers and stuff that's in it. I’d been real satisfied with it. He didn’t like the Giant Breed Puppy because it’s made out with duck and he didn’t care for it a bit when we switched to the regular Puppy which is the chicken. He loved it. He’ll go right for it and eat it. But it would be great if they can come up with Large Breed Chicken.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've been purchasing Canidae for 15 years. The pet food store recommended it and now I choose it because it’s grain-free. When I started I had little tiny poodles, but now I have cats. I got the cats at a shelter, but since they’ve been eating Canidae, they’re totally shiny and healthy. Even my old cat is shiny and healthy since they’ve been eating the grain-free, and it has really changed the old one's life. I used to buy the salmon dry food, but all of a sudden my cats stopped eating it altogether and I don’t know why. So I buy whatever I can find of the other, tuna or trout. Then recently, every price has gone sky-high and I’m having a terrible time finding it in stock. Even at Petco, they back-ordered it. So I wondered what was going on with the pet food. But overall Canidae contributes everything to my cats' health and well-being, and I'm very happy.

The pet store recommended Canidae Lamb & Rice so we tried it and my dogs loved it. They started eating and ate everything. We've been purchasing it for 12 years now and it’s worked ever since and we will never switch. We have a Husky and he turned 11 and is still on the dog food. We have a new Pomeranian and she likes the Canidae over the other little kibbles.

Canidae's program is good. Their product speaks for itself. Our dogs are healthy, have kept weight on, have got shiny coats especially the Husky who got lots of fur and they haven’t had any stomach problems. So this is by far the best product and I'll keep buying it even if the price here in Canada is expensive. I buy the big bags for its value for the bucks. They also have a Buy 12, Get 1 Free program. I just applied to that and I hope they email me the coupons. It was excellent overall. When I sent them an email, I got a response right away. And they've always kept stock of the product in our store where we buy the pet food. I never go there where they're out especially that it's important to me to be able to get the product. I tell people about Canidae.

I have two dogs, a 7-year old Boston Terrier and a year old Frenchton. They were experiencing skin issues so I was trying to simplify their diet. They’re on the second large bag of Canidae food. I was choosing on the limited ingredients and trying to avoid chicken so I purchased the Pure line. So far it's good for them, more so than other foods, and I'm happy with it. I find it extremely valuable and important feeding my pets natural ingredients. The only thing is that I would like to know exactly where my pet food is manufactured.

I was searching for a new food because my dogs were having problems. A good friend of mine who is a manager at Petco feeds Canidae to her dogs and so does another employee, so I thought I would try it. Of my four dogs, I have two particular ones, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, who are two and nine years old, with IVD. These two need a prescription diet right now. That's why I was looking for something that was easy for them and I thought I'd try Canidae. I bought the salmon and the bison variety. It didn't work, but the only reason is because they are sick. The food from Canidae was too much for them at the moment. It wasn’t settling well with them, but they liked it.

I like the fact that it's a limited diet with only seven ingredients, and there's multiple proteins available to choose from. I wish there were more single proteins. I know the bison has the lamb in there as well. I wish there was just bison, nothing else. Other than that, I think it’s fine. It is very valuable to feed my pets with natural ingredients. In fact, I really can't wait till they're off the prescription. If my dogs were healthy, I would not be averse to using Canidae at all. I like their food. It's good food and I have friends who use it and love it. I would recommend the food. I have no problems with it.

Due to a recommendation from a friend, we went with Canidae and have been purchasing it for two months. My Shih Tzu enjoys it and he has been healthier and active since eating Canidae. It's been a very excellent experience.

Canidae Pet Foods Company Profile