4.76/5
Based on 202 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

CANIDAE is pet food made by pet people. We use the same ingredients we want for our own pets to make our foods. From working hard to form relationships with the farmers and ranchers that supply ingredients, to opening our own farm to grow ingredients and our own facility to cook the food—we’re dedicated to providing the best nutrition possible for the beloved dogs and cats that enrich our lives in so many ways. Sensitivities, picky dogs, multi-pet households, or healthy food on a budget, CANIDAE has your solution!

Canidae Pet Foods Video
Canidae Pet Foods Gallery (6)
Read More Read More
Last updated: May 20, 2018

1443 Canidae Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 19, 2018

I have been buying Under the sun grain free dog food for 6 months now and have a ways has good experiences. I liked the Canidae brand but it was family owned and always had great reviews and my dog always seemed happy when I was feeding it to him. Last month I bought a bad of the grain free lamb flavored dog food and my dog just seemed uninterested in his food. He wouldn't eat right away, he would smell it and walk away. I thought maybe he just wasn't hungry but then I caught a whiff of his food when I was feeding him one evening and realized it smelled terrible. It smelled rancid and rotten, like gasoline. I think something may be wrong with this batch. Either way I will be switching brands.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 16, 2018

We've been purchasing Canidae for at least five years and we've been happy with it. We just prefer to give our pets all natural food. We've had very healthy cats. My senior cat had some issues and they wanted me to change her food, so they gave me some expensive food from the vet and she wouldn't eat it. So then I bought the Canidae canned food. The same line, just the canned food versus the dry food and she loves it. And she's been much better. They thought maybe she had leukemia or lymphoma. She was puking everyday. She was really sick. Her lab work was off. They're now thinking maybe it was appendicitis. But the most important thing was to make sure she ate and drank, and she really chows on the moist food.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I was managing a little feed store in town before and everybody was getting into that pet phase. We were looking for something without the corn soy and wheat and we brought Canidae in. The company was really good to us as far as selling us pallets at a time and giving us a little break and they instigated getting the frequent buyer thing really going there. The reps that went to the store were so super and if I had any questions, I just called them and they had it answered Johnny on the spot. I retired about three years ago and I've got two or three dogs most of the time and they're all different ages. I feed them the All Life Stages so it's easy. I just have one dog food for whatever kind of dog I have so it works out really well. I have Weimaraners and they have nice silky coat and they're not shedding or stinking all the time.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Canidae is more of a natural type of food and I heard through friends that it was a lot better. I have two female nine-year old Pit bulls and I buy the all-natural chicken and fish for them. They feel a lot better and they are less sick so feeding them natural ingredients is very valuable.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Nutro is a good food but my dog started having problems with it. So I did a lot research and Canidae had good reviews but at that time, it wasn't available at a lot of places. There was a specialty dog food store that sold it so I tracked them down and switched over. Canidae seemed to work great for my dog and I've been using it for 20 years now.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Canidae Pet Foods?

Original review: May 5, 2018

My girlfriend was feeding Canidae to her dog and when we moved in together, I took over with it. It seems to be good and I haven't had any problems with it. Some cheaper food would make my dog sick, plus, I don't like the idea of over-processed things. Canidae seems like a better way to go and wasn't too expensive. Also, we tried to stick to the healthiest things for the last four years or so and if you're gonna guard your way to eat healthy, why wouldn't you want your pets to eat healthy? We treat our dogs like our kids and that only makes sense.

All in all, Canidae is great and I would recommend it to those who value their dogs' health as far as what they eat. A lot of people I know go for the cheap ones and I get that because there was a time when I couldn't afford certain food. But once I got to a point where I could afford to eat better, I figured our pets should, too. We've been purchasing Canidae for our two dogs for years now. Her dog is a tiny rat terrier and is 15 years old. He just lays around and waits to eat his food. Then I have an English bulldog that is close to four years old now. We get the Life Stages for both of them regularly and there used to be this neighborhood pet store where we bought it from. They had the little envelope and if we got so many bags, we got the 12th one free. That program was good and we were doing that for the last few years. But that store closed about a year ago and we haven't done it since.

My girlfriend was supposed to get online and try to see if we could get more envelopes to do the program. But now, you get a frequent buyer card thingy then you get your 11 UPC codes, stick them in there, and fill it out. Then you send it in whereas before, we didn't have to do that. We just took the codes to the store and they would give us the free bag then they would go through the trouble of sending them in and getting their credit note.

Original review: May 4, 2018

We use Canidae for our two-year old Golden Retriever, named Hank. He's beautiful and he's bigger than both his parents so Canidae is a good choice. It's expensive. But the dog loves it.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I have two German Shepherds but my first one is very sensitive. We tried her on a bunch of different foods and Canidae seemed to not bother her tummy so we stuck with it. We had her on the chicken and rice formula for a long time and since she’s getting older now, I was looking for a less active formula and she’s on the Life Stages now.

We’re very happy with our experience with Canidae but we sometimes have a hard time finding it in stores locally so we’ve asked around for natural pet foods. Sometimes, they have Canidae in stock and sometimes, they don’t. So, we sometimes order from Amazon which is what we’re doing right now. It’s good but once in a while, the bag is a different kibble or a little darker than a different bag. Other than that, we have no complaints and it doesn’t seem to bother the dogs when it looks different. I would recommend it to other people and I would tell friends that given the ingredients and everything, it's a good value and the protein sources are good compared to a lot of the cheaper brands.

Original review: April 29, 2018

My son worked at a pet store and suggested Canidae to give our cats good quality food. I purchased this brand for about five years. It's important to give animals food with natural ingredients and with Canidae, our cats were healthy.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 28, 2018

We used Canidae for years. I wanted a better-grade food and I wasn’t gonna feed my family members Purina. Canidae was better than Science Diet and I thought it was better than Eukanuba. But around January, we purchased a bag from Pet World and as soon as we opened the bag, it smelled rancid. We didn’t really think much of it but the dogs wanted nothing to do with it. And if my dogs weren't gonna eat it, no one was gonna eat it. I was really shocked that Canidae would let a product go out the door. It was horrible. I contacted them and they sent me a voucher for a bag but I was really apprehensive. I didn't even know if I wanted to get the bag. My dogs were hungry and I got the bag. But I wasn't happy with Canidae at all and as a matter of fact, I've switched.

Hi Scott,

We thank you for your many many years of support. We greatly appreciate you and your dogs and thank you for contacting us when you had this problem. We've checked the report from when you contacted us and noticed the bag was one month from expiration and we are very sorry the food smelled rancid.

When stored properly the quality of the food should be good until the best by date on the bag. We recommend food being stored in a cool dry place as the ingredients and preservatives are natural. If somewhere before purchase the food was out in extreme temperatures or stored in or above warm or hot temperatures this could affect the quality of the food, oils and natural preservatives. We again are very sorry this happened.

We are glad you contacted us and that we were able to replace this for you but are sad to hear this caused you to change. If we can ever offer any assistance with getting back to CANIDAE please give us a call, email or chat and we will be happy to assist you.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Canidae is a great company. I was on a product that was more expensive and the pet food people, whom I trust completely, suggested Canidae. I have been getting it for more than three years. Although the price tag is not good, the dog food is good quality. I have two dogs. One is a 120-pound Shepherd named Stella who is 11 and one is a 60-pound Boxer Shar-Pei mix named Stanley who is five. I firmly believe in good quality dog food for my pets and Canidae is a super product. I highly recommend it when people ask me what I feed them.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I got a Mastiff and the breeder used Canidae. When I've gotten animals over the years, I've switched them over to Canidae and it has never caused any issues. I've been able to switch them straight over without any stomach upset or drama. I've been using Canidae since 1999 and I do the purchasing at one of the local stores.

Original review: April 19, 2018

We've been purchasing Canidae for five years now. I like their quality and their commitment to keeping safe foods with no recalls. I feed several breeds and I have a retail section and a grooming shop. I used a lot of their products. But I use Life Stages from grain free to their basic chicken and rice. It's very valuable. It contributes to my dogs' health all the way around because it's good food. Their food has done everything they said they do. And, their salesman that comes around has helped us out a lot.

Original review: April 18, 2018

My 12-year old German Shepherd has been on Canidae for four years. Recently, I got Life Stages. He doesn’t have any issues and he always eats so, it works. I like the quality ingredients and the size of the bag was a plus too.

Original review: April 17, 2018

We have a multitude of dogs. We have a Pittie mix, a Schnauzer, had a Poodle and a Cane Corso and another Pitt. My daughter's Pittie mix has allergies to food so the gentleman at the supply store where we purchase our dog food from suggested Canidae. We've been purchasing Life Stages for five years now and we've particularly stayed with the Bison. We've tried a couple of others even within. We've done the salmon and duck. And one of our dogs is allergic to salmon. She would just scratch and itch all the time. Her skin would get really red. But the other dogs' coats are nice and shiny.

Original review: April 13, 2018

A friend referred Canidae to feed my two 11-year old Boxers and I didn't have any problems with my dogs so far. But one of them only made it to 11. I had to put her down last week because she had tumors. But that's just genetics, basically. Getting this, I had hoped that Canidae may help prevent or slow down something like that in the long-term. But they've liked the food though. The place I board them to also use Canidae so I didn't even have to change the food. And they can still feed them the same food.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I've been using Canidae for six years. Our dog at the time was having some joint problems, and we put him on the bone and raw food diet. What we understood was that Canidae was a good dry supplement to what we were feeding him and that there wasn't much cereal in it. And when that dog passed on, we stayed with it with the new dog, which seems to tolerate it well and like it. It made a noticeable difference for our last dog. His manure was significantly smaller than when we used to feed him the shelf stuff from the grocery store. For our new dog, it's not as big a pile as what you would expect for a 125-pound dog, so I truly believe that there is more natural stuff and less cereal and filler in Canidae. It's a good brand to go with.

Original review: April 8, 2018

My Danes have pretty sensitive stomachs and Canidae seems to be the food that agrees with them the most. I like its ingredients and it’s a lot better than a lot of those dry dog foods out there, so I continue to purchase it. I've been buying it for my pets for over 10 years now and I prefer the Life Stages because it covers all stages. Canidae is a great food for my dogs and I recommend it.

Original review: April 7, 2018

We used to have a dog before my wife and I got married. I didn't know anything about pet food at that time and we were feeding just the Purina Dog Chow. And for a long time, she was always throwing up that yellowish clear liquid. And we could never figure out what it was. And never once did my vet say anything about her food. And then as the internet became more popular, I found out that a lot of it has to do with the allergic reaction to some of the fillers that they put in food. We ended up having to put our dog to sleep. She couldn't even go anymore. She was almost 16 years old. But never once have we ever had her or any other dog throw up that bile looking stuff.

So I did some research and I started talking to a guy on the internet on one of the forums that I'm on and he's a dog trainer. He raises dogs and I was looking for something more healthy. And he used Canidae and he talked to me about all the ingredients and what he noticed in changes in his dogs when he switched to that food. So we switched to Canidae. Now we have 8 dogs and we use The All-Life Stages one. And their coats are way shinier and they're way more active. They don’t poop nearly as much. The Buy 12-Get the next bag free is also awesome 'cause we go through a 44-pound bag in little under two weeks and it's so expensive.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I was on a camping trip and my dogs weren’t loving their food. My buddy who had his dogs there as well had Canidae and my dogs ran over and stole some, and they've been on it ever since. I have two Boxer Mixes and they're eight years old, and Life Stages seemed to fit their needs best. I've been purchasing it for seven years and I've recommended it.

Original review: March 29, 2018

We have been breedings dogs for a long time and have been purchasing Canidae for ten years. We have a small kennel here and we have used it and we fill it. We have bred German Shepherds and Rottweilers, and we trained for the pet Olympics. When we have puppies, we usually feed the pregnant ones and the puppies Canidae dog food, and send them home with some. We like the quality. The dogs do very well on it.

The Life Stages is what we liked the best. When we first started feeding our dogs at one time Canidae didn't have puppy food and so we fed the mothers of the puppies the All Life Stages and transfer the puppies on it when they started eating. And then lately, they’ve had the puppy foods, so we started buying puppy foods. Our dogs have been very healthy. We had Pro Plan 30 years ago and we weren’t as satisfied with that as we are with Canidae. We don’t have health or allergy problems. At times, we find it very expensive so we had to cut back somewhat. But it's the food that we prefer, a good quality food, and we recommend it to our puppy buyers.

Original review: March 25, 2018

We have an eight and 1/2 year old Labradoodle. We started feeding him Canidae right after we got him. We had another brand before which we mixed with something else. But, we ended up not doing that anymore. It definitely improved to get the other brand out of the picture. Canidae has been good food for my pet since. We like the deal where we buy the 10 or 12 bags and then get the free bag of Canidae. One issue we have however was that they discontinued the 15 pound bag. Still, it's better than some of the other food we've used with other dogs through the years.

Hi Ralph,

Thank you for your support and review. We are so glad to hear that CANIDAE has been so good for your dog for 8 1/2 years. We greatly appreciate the support of you and your dog. Thanks again!

Original review: March 23, 2018

My dog has been eating Canidae for nine years and it has worked out fine. I liked one of the eight choices that they have and the price point was good for their quality, which was better than some other brands. Among the brands that I thought were quality, some of the other ones were a lot more expensive. I got the Life Stages because I could give it to an older dog who’s now passed and a younger dog that I had. Feeding them healthy food is important so that's the only thing they eat every single day, and my dogs have been healthy. I’d recommend Canidae. It’s quality for a good price.

Original review: March 22, 2018

We’ve enjoyed feeding our dogs Canidae for four years now. It’s always been a healthy alternative for our animals and we care utmost about what they eat and how they do, so we try to give them what we feel is right for them, and we thought that’s Canidae.

Original review: March 21, 2018

My dog didn't like the dog food that he was on so I switched to Canidae. And there was a lot of different varieties in Canidae that I can choose from and I got the Life Stages. I was told that you could feed that to a puppy and I started feeding it to him when he was one. But just recently he doesn't like it anymore so we switched out.

Original review: March 20, 2018

The breeder of my four-year old Australian Shepherd used Canidae and suggested it. Health-wise, its natural ingredients is better than feeding them the grains and the fillers. Canidae is a well thought pet food. I'm happy and it's nice. If I tear off my UPC label and use my receipt, every so often I get a free bag. My dog is healthy and energetic. It's a good pet food.

Original review: March 18, 2018

I did some research because I wanted something that's better for my dogs than just regular store-bought dog food. I went online with the reviews and ended up choosing Canidae. I have three dogs -- a Catahoula, a poodle-mix and a terrier, with ages six, eight and three. They seem to like Canidae best. They love it. It's easily digestible for them. It also was priced comparatively well. I would recommend it. It's a good dog food. My dog has never had any issues or problems with it. They came out on top so I just hope they would keep doing what they're doing.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Diane, one of Canidae's reps, was also president of the Labrador Retriever Club at the local chapter. I had Labradors and she introduced Canidae to me. I run a breeding program and competition dog training center, and all of my dogs are in Canidae. I mainly use All Life Stages from when my puppies are being weaned all the way until they’re on their way out. I’ve seen great results with longevity on feeding that to my dogs. Plus, I’ve had a lot of really good results on my orthopedic x-rays for hips and elbow. So, the food completely helps my breeding program and feeding the Canidae helps with the environmental side of everything. I would recommend it to anybody.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you Tracy! We appreciate your support and taking the time to leave such a great review. We are so pleased to hear how happy you are with the results with your competition dogs and breeding program. We appreciate you and your dogs support.

Original review: March 15, 2018

My daughter works at Canidae's corporate office in Norco and I took her word for it when she told me that their Life Stages was what my Golden Retriever needed because he was older. He's old but he's still like a puppy. He still runs and jumps. And you can't even tell he's going to be 13 years old in September. People are shocked. He has been taking Canidae for about four years and he likes it. It made a difference for my dog and others should use it too. It's worth every penny.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Hey, thank you Jeff. We are so happy to hear that your 13 year old Golden Retriever is doing so well on CANIDAE and now acts like a puppy again. We appreciate both of your support and appreciate you taking the time to leave a review and rating.

Original review: March 14, 2018

We've been using Canidae Life Stages for four years now. We have two dogs and they're both service animals. And so, we want a high-quality food like Canidae. I'd tell my friends that it's critically important that they feed their dogs the high-quality product.

Hi Lynn,

We appreciate the support of you and your dogs and thank you for taking the time to leave your rating and review. Thank you!

Canidae Pet Foods expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Canidae is a premium dog food company, offering a variety of flavors and types of food to dogs throughout the United States.

• Grain-free foods: If your dog has a grain allergy or you would prefer to give him a natural diet, you can purchase grain-free foods here.

• Fresh meat and vegetables: These foods contain a blend of meat and vegetables providing your dog with optimal health.

• Made for pets in all stages of life: From puppy to senior, you'll be able to provide your dog with the nutrition he needs.

• Variety of flavors: Canidae offers unique flavors such as duck and bison as well as standard sources of protein like chicken or lamb.

• Quality control measures: All products go through rigorous quality control assessments such as testing ingredients before using them, testing the quality throughout the food preparation process and doing safety checks prior to releasing the food for sale.

• Best for: Puppies, pregnant or lactating dogs, senior dogs and active healthy dogs.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor

Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Canidae Pet Foods Company Information