Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Hi Scott,

Thank you so much for your review! We love to hear you have been apart of our family for 8 years!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2014

I have had my 3 dogs on Canidae dog food for 8 years now and I could not be happier with the food. I use to feed a food that I was told was very good and all my dogs were at the vet every couple months with scratching and sometimes hot spots. When I went to a dog event, I was talking with a retail store that had a booth and they mentioned some ingredient issues that may be causing the issues I was see with my dogs. They gave me samples and I didn't think much about it until my next costly vet visit. I switched foods and 2 dogs did get very loose stools but the store recommended to try some pumpkin. It worked great and they got over the loose stools in a couple of weeks. Now I do a vet visit every couple of years and everything is going great. I am sure my vet misses the visits but I do not. I recommend this food all the time and I have not had anyone complain after they switch. If they notice a loose stool I tell them to try pumpkin and it seems to work well.

Canidae has done very well to my pets' health and well-being. It is a good pet food and one that a vet recommends. Both my dogs are older and I purchase them the Life Stages. I like Canidae very much and would definitely recommend it.

We were having some issues with one of our dogs with her hair loss, so we were looking for a dog food that was better than just a filler food. We got her Canidae and, overall, it’s better. I'd recommend it.

I have been purchasing Canidae for a couple of years now for my dog who has terrible allergies. I buy the Pure brand and it is grain-free and has limited ingredients in it. He doesn't chew his fur often anymore and he's maintaining his weight. I recommend Canidae all the time.

Our Golden Retriever, Buddy, had an ear yeast problem and the doctor suggested something that was grain-free and a higher quality for him so that he wouldn’t react so much so we selected Canidae. He had it for 10 years, and Rosita, our new Australian Shepherd puppy, had it for a year and three quarters. It’s really important that my dogs get as good as the food that we get and something that they will eat. I will recommend Canidae because they also have that coupon sale that really helps.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Canidae Pet Foods?

I've been purchasing Canidae for the last 3 years. My dog, Freedom is a half-boxer, half-pitbull and he's six right now. He likes it and it's good for him. I handed him to the vet a few times and he says he's in very, very good shape.

I've been buying Canidae for six years. It's very important to feed your pet natural ingredients and Canidae is more like natural food. I wish they had more coupons because the food is expensive. I'm doing the buy 12 and get the 13th free.

I've been purchasing Canidae food for my pet for close to four years. The dog trainer we were working with at the time recommended it very highly for our two German Shepherds - 14 year old Gidget and 4 year old Knox. We've just been doing Pure. The trainer had recommended it and I found that the Grain-Free tends to work better with my dogs' skin and they like it a lot. We started with Pure Sky, the one with the duck. Then, we transitioned to Pure Sea, the one with salmon and other fish.

However, it was a bummer that about a year or so ago, they changed the packaging. It went from being a 30 pound bag to a 24 pound bag, but the price stayed exactly the same. The place that we purchase the dog food from has a good coupon system. They send out Canidae coupons monthly, and it's usually $2 off for the small bag and $5 off for the largest bag. Since I have two dogs, I need the largest bag, the 24 pound one. But then, Canidae also has the 12 pound bag, and I get a free bag when I buy that, so that works really good, too. Apart from the change in packaging, Canidae's been a great product and I like all the little savings perks.

Canidae is a very good product for how much I have to pay and I like that if I buy 12 bags, I get one free. I have three German Shepherds and it is crucial to feed them natural ingredients. We breed once a year, so making sure the puppies start off on it and knowing the mom gets the nutrients she needs are very important to us. I purchase the Life Stages because it goes all the way, and then we give everyone that buys a puppy from us a gallon of Canidae with all new information for it. We also tell them the different places to buy it.

I use a number of different brands and Canidae is one of them. I buy in very large quantities, about 10 to 20 bags at a time, of both ALS and Platinum. I have a bunch of dogs, and the younger ones eat the ALS. The only thing I don't like about the ALS out of all of the food that I feed them, is that it has the highest calorie content per cup.

I have a hard time keeping many of the dogs on it for any length of time because it puts too much weight on them. If we're trying to put weight on the dogs, then it's a great diet. But once they achieve that and we're trying to maintain them, they eat such a tiny amount of it to get the calories that they need that they think they're starving to death, so we have to switch them to something else. I wish that there's a formula that's not so calorie-laden for the younger dogs. But apart from that, we've had really good luck with it through the years. I've always been happy with Canidae, and I appreciate that it hasn't been recalled dozens of times.

I have a pure bred chocolate Lab and I wanted him to be on grain-free food so I did some research about it. It's very, very important to feed him with natural ingredients. I felt a lot of the proteins and the vegetables that were in Canidae had fewer man-made chemicals so I went with them. As a result, his coat is amazing. My dog is now 7, so I've been purchasing them for 7 years now.

I have a 6-year old purebred female Rottweiler and she's been on Canidae her whole life. She had a litter of puppies and she held her weight through the entire time of nursing her litter. They all came out healthy, too, and people were really impressed. It's expensive but we would never consider feeding her anything other than Canidae. We're happy with Canidae.

I have three dogs with ages ranging from 3 to 5 years old and I've been buying Canidae for 10 years. I like the frequent buyer promotion that they have where I could buy 10 and get 1 free. I would recommend Canidae.

I have a German Shepherd and a Collie mix. One is named Tyson and the other one is named Guadlo. I've been getting Canidae food for my pets for six years. I give my dogs this food so they can go with less food and poop less. It's valuable to feed my pets with natural ingredients because I don't want them to have too much of the artificial food.

I have a two-year-old South African Boerboel. They're a mastiff-type highly intelligent breed developed in Africa for herd and farm protection. I'm a burly guy and I need a burly dog for mobility assistance. We're training him up for mobility assistance work for disabled veterans. If it works, we'll breed him and the pups will be given to the veterans and they'll go through puppy, intermediate, and advanced classes and then be turned over to Tender Loving Canine which is a service training dog organization. We're also training him to get up on the bed and then the second you fall asleep he gets off the bed, and when you have nightmares he’ll wake you up.

I was looking for a different dog food other than Red Flannel and I happen to be talking with a couple of other dog trainers. They said they've been having a lot of good success with Canidae because of filler in it with brown rice and not a bunch of grains and things. I talked with the folks at my local feed store down here on Woodside and they told me to try it out. So, I tried it and it seems to get real good results.

Feeding my dog with non-GMO is absolutely critical. A lot of the corn fillers are genetically modified and that DNA strand in the bacteria when it gets loose will be absorbed by the other bacteria and dogs are having problems that people are having now. Most people's health problems are related to the fact that they're not consuming food but food-like substance, no nutritional value, and you can't pronounce the names at the label so it's a good idea not to eat it. I've been told that the brown rice was GMO rice and other than a little distressed when he first switched over to it from Red Flannel, he's been fine on Canidae. It made him healthy and growing.

We always try to get the best quality foods we put before him. The human body and any animal body is a machine. You put in crap, you're going to get crappy results. Save a little bit of money because it's on sale but what's in it? Nobody's buying it because it's crap. How much are you going to save now and pay later in the vet? I've been really pleased with Canidae so far and I've recommended it to other people.

I have a four-year-old German Shepherd and I've been feeding him with Canidae for a year now. My dog doesn't eat it as fast as the other food I was feeding him in the past...I don’t think it's as tasty for him, but he still eats it obviously. But Canidae has high protein percentage and is very affordable as well.

In my research, Canidae was the food I thought was gonna be the best food so I've been feeding it to my 100 lb yellow lab named Ruger. He is two and a half. I've been purchasing Canidae for a year and a half and the local pet store only carries the Life Stages so it's what we get and it seems to work well. He’s healthy, not overweight, and has a good, shiny coat. He seems to like it and hasn’t had any health problems so far. It's been a very pleasant experience.

We have some neighbors up the street who raise guide dogs for the blind and they recommended Canidae. Our dog Riley is an 11-year-old Golden Retriever and we've been feeding her Canidae for about four years now. When we got her, her previous owners were feeding her Iams and then a mix of Iams and Kibbles 'n Bits because that regulated her bowel movements. We substituted the Canidae for the Iams but she is not real crazy about the taste of it by itself because she likes it mixed with the Kibbles. She seems to be doing well on it. Currently, we purchase Life Stages and it's great I could get it from Amazon lately.

My dad gives Canidae to his dogs and I've also been buying it for my pets for six years now. My current pet is a Bully pit. Bully pits are known to get dandruff if you give them food that has too much grain in it. It is pretty valuable to feed your pets natural ingredients and Canidae took care of my pet's dandruff.

I've been buying Canidae for my pets for about ten years. I have five dogs and have to be price-conscious. I get Canidae's big 44-pound bag because of the price and because it's low-grain. It doesn’t have any corn or any other junk.

I have a 14 year old dog. Natural ingredients is very valuable to my dog so I feed him with Canidae. I've been using them for several years now. They're really awesome. It can get costly to buy 30 pounds of food so when we need a coupon, they're more than willing to send out some coupons where it saves us some money.

Hi Eric,

Thank you so much for your review! Its so great to hear CANIDAE has been a part of your family since 2007. We love that you are apart of the CANIDAE Family. Thank you for all your support and continued loyalty. We appreciate your recommendations and loyalty.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

All our three dogs have been on Canidae food since either puppyhood or when we adopted them. The shelter was carrying Canidae and they recommended it. When I did research, a buddy of mine at work who knew dog food showed me a website and Canidae was one of the top 5 in the country. I've been purchasing Canidae since 2007 and we're getting Life Stages because we were told it will feed the dogs from puppyhood all the way through senior, senior, senior dogs.

Canidae is also a product we can afford because our dogs eat a lot. We also learned one reason why we got Canidae besides it being better for them was, versus a commercial brand, we can feed them less so it stretches longer than the other ones. For any other brand, we feed them (a Great Dane & an English Mastiff) 10 cups a day in the winter but with Canidae we can feed them 8 cups a day. We go through the big 44-pound bag every two weeks so the 12 and 1 program isn’t bad. We go through every six months then get a free one, which is very nice. So all in all, Canidae has great quality and price.

I've been purchasing Canidae for about two and a half years now and I've had a great experience with it so far. I have rescue dogs and their coats are so much more shiny and they love Canidae. One of my dogs is a Shepherd mix named Harley at 4 years, another's a Dobie mix named Macy and she's seven and a half, and my Dachsie mix Bella is a little over a year and is chewing everything. At any rate, a big thing for me is a healthy dog food for my dogs and that’s what Canidae is.

Hi Sharon,

Thank you for your review! We love to hear that Macey loves CANIDAE Platinum. We do use the best ingredients and we stand behind them.

Thank you for being apart of our family!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2016

I use Canidae Platinum to feed my German Shepherd named Macey and my Heeler/Australian Shepherd mix, Katie. The quality and ingredients they use are very important to me as I worry about recalls. I researched it and so far I trust the product name and I hope that I don't lose that trust by something happening in the future. I believe that Canidae has contributed to my dogs' long life. Keep up the safe work.

I learned about Canidae from somebody at work and they told me about it and then that’s when I started going to the feed store because it’s way better than Petco. Petco has Canidae, too, but cost-wise, it’s just a way better deal. I have a Siberian Husky and a Brindle Pit Bull Muscle breed. I also have Afro, the Husky, he is five going on six, and Lock is seven. And since I’m not working right now and I’m on disability, I can't afford to get two different types of food. So, Canidae Life Stages seemed like a good medium as far as giving the Husky and the Pit what they need. And I get individualized products that I can afford, like for my Husky, I mix Omega 3 Fish oil with the Canidae.

I like Canidae because it doesn't make the dog’s skin flaky like Pedigree. My dogs have really nice coats. Even when they’re dirty, they don’t really stink. When they come inside, they just smell like outside so they don’t stink up the house. I feed my dogs twice a day and so I get the 44-pound bag because it lasts longer than a month, so it’s nice. It’s a good dog food. There are some dog foods out there that are really expensive which are better, but you have to be practical about what you can afford. And so, Canidae is good because it’s not some cheap dog food, but it’s not stupidly expensive either. Our dogs are healthy. And they have nice coats because of what we feed them.

Our dog, Ace, is part Labrador and part Shepherd. We started buying Canidae when we got him from the animal shelter about 12 years ago. It was recommended that we do that because that's what he had been started out on at the animal shelter. I purchase the 44 pounds bag of Canidae, the greenish brown variety and we've been really pleased with it. For the first 11 years that we've had our dog, it was more for the nutrition that we got this dog food for him. In his younger years, he would go through it pretty quick because he was pretty active then. We're spending $50 to $60 a pop. But we like the incentive where you buy so many bags and get one free.

It's very important to feed our dog with natural ingredients. Ace got diagnosed with cancer a year ago, in November. They gave him six months to live if we didn't do any chemotherapy for him, and I couldn't do that. I did not want him to be sick. What I want for my dog is for him to be able to run, to go to the bathroom outside, and to eat and play. It's over a year later and he's still doing those things. We add a little bit of fat to his diet because he's lost so much weight. We do the Canidae but then we add extra because sometimes he doesn't want to eat, so if we spiced his food up a little bit, then he will eat. Then he'll be around with us longer. At this point, we're not just going for the nutrition. We're going to keep him happy and comfortable.

My experience with Canidae has been good. Their price was reasonable with the stuff that was in the product. The calorie is good. I have an 80-pound dog and I keep him on a rigid, little less than two cups twice a day, diet. And the vet says he's in perfect shape. I've been buying the Life Stages because of size of the bag and the cost, and I don't find any need for anything else. I do like the buy-so-many and get a complimentary bag deal.

I have two older dogs that have skin and tummy problems. I started them on Canidae a few years ago, they both have great skin and no more tummy issues! They eat mostly the dry food and sometimes I buy them the canned food. It's made with organic ingredients. They're happy so I'm happy!

We adopted both our pets, a Lab mix and a Whippet with a Chihuahua mix and they had been fed Canidae at the shelter so we wanted to continue that as much as possible. Canidae seemed to have good nutrients and we never had an ill dog so we just continue doing what we do. We value the product. We found it to be good for our dogs and we'd probably do it again.

I used to buy Beneful before switching to Canidae. I live next to a feed store and they told me that the difference between Beneful and Canidae is like serving McDonald's food every night versus a home-cooked meal. I've been purchasing Canidae for eight years or more. In the past, we had three different set dogs in three different stages, but since then, Canidae's All Stages worked out really good for us. All our dogs are pit bulls and 2 of them, Brutus and Scarlet, have passed since then with 3 months in between. Chloe is still alive and she's a 7-year-old Red nose. She’s been on Canidae since she was born. She has put on a bunch of weight after the other two dogs passed away so I put her on a diet plan, which helps. She’s on the senior dog food now and it’s been quiet. I was told to switch her on Life Stages so I chose that. We’ve also been getting her out to walk.

I wouldn’t change Chloe's dog food for anything. Canidae is good for her and she’s a really healthy dog. We haven’t had any problems with her dog food, and that goes for all the other dogs we had. We don’t feed her wet food because wet foods is not good for dog’s teeth anyway. We just give her dry Canidae. Canidae is great and I don’t mind paying more for it because our pet is like our kid. I've even gotten two of my friends to switch over to Canidae.

Canidae Pet Foods Company Profile