2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.49/5
Based on 1,322 ratings

CANIDAE is pet food made by pet people. We use the same ingredients we want for our own pets to make our foods. From working hard to form relationships with the farmers and ranchers that supply ingredients, to opening our own facility to cook the food—we’re dedicated to providing the best nutrition possible for the beloved dogs and cats that enrich our lives in so many ways. Sensitivities, picky dogs, multi-pet households, or healthy food on a budget, CANIDAE has your solution!

Canidae Pet Foods Shop on Chewy

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Canidae Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Canidae Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Canidae Pet Foods?

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I recommend this dog food to anyone wanting to find a high quality food that includes healthy and wholesome grains. My Labrador started out on Iams and was miserably gassy all day long unable to digest the corn they use. I did a lot of research and decided to try Canidae multi protein formula. I was impressed with all of the ingredients that includes heart healthy oatmeal instead of corn and the best part is my dog loves it! After eliminating the corn his gassy misery disappeared. I also recommend Canidae's treats as well. He loves them all! Thank you Canidae for a quality wholesome product!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

We have been feeding our almost 11 year old German Shepherd Canidae dog food since he was a puppy. People can't believe that he is almost 11 years old because he looks amazing and has energy of a puppy, STILL. Malachi's coat has always been beautiful and we feel like his dog food has helped tremendously in keeping him youthful. We have started using Canidae wet dog food mixed in with his kibbles and he LOVES being fed all of the different varieties he is given. If there was ever a dog that would promote Canidae's line of foods, Malachi should would be that dog. I highly recommend Canidae to anyone searching for that "perfect" food that promotes a healthy, trim, and youthful dog. If you would like a video of what he looks like, I would be happy to share.

Matthew and Jessica

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

About 2 months ago I switched my dogs (11 years and 4.5 months) from Taste of the Wild to the Canidae All Life Stages Singe Protein food to help both of them digest and process food easier. They both we’re having some GI issues and I read that Canidae Single Protein is easier on their systems. Both dogs LOVE the food. My elder dog eats her half cup in the morning but paws her food bowl the entire day acting like she’s starving. She has now started sleeping by her food bowl in hopes for more food. She has always been fed a 1/2 cup for her size/weight with no issues. Actually, I had to do 1/4 food 1/4 green beans at one point to help her lose weight. The food seems great but I’m not sure why my elder dog is SO hungry after eating her normal amount.

Original review: July 25, 2019

Canidae was the only one that didn’t have contaminants and recalls that were bad for our dogs. It was one of the ones that were listed that were better for quality control according to our vet. I have a black Labrador and a Boston Terrier and they seem to like Canidae. My lab has maintained the same weight for like four years. He's been pretty healthy with it. I also liked the fact that our pet store gives us a Canidae discount or the 10th bag free. That's awesome. It is a little more on the expensive side but I don't mind to spend money for something of quality. I would recommend Canidae.

Original review: July 16, 2019

My two and a half year-old yellow lab was having a lot of intestinal problems, and Canidae was the first one that we put her on that she actually cleared up her diarrhea. She does Life Stages and I don’t see ever taking her off the Canidae. My elder dog used Fromm, but I don’t wanna take any chances. She had trouble with Fromm in the beginning with her intestines, so I’m not gonna try to put her on it. She’s doing well in Canidae. I mix Canidae with side dish of chicken, green beans, carrots, and peas, and I put a little bit of that as a filler in with the dog food, so they don’t eat so much dog food with all that fat. And she does very, very well.

Original review: July 3, 2020

After doing a great deal of research, I decided to feed my puppy Canidae Ancestral Raw food. The results were fantastic. His coat was like glistening black velvet. His energy levels were off the charts. Everything about him was excellent. People would literally stop us when walking down the street to inquire about his breed, if I was planning on breeding him, what am I feeding him etc. My baby is just a a beautiful specimen to behold, and full of life, energy, and personality. I attribute this all to Canidae’s Ancestral Raw dog food.

Unfortunately, something has drastically changed with either their formulation, or there’s been some tampering with their supplier, because the food is now causing my dog to be sick. He’s lethargic. He’s experiencing hot spots, explosive diarrhea, excessive itching, and seems very reluctant to eat the food. It literally takes him all day to eat his serving from breakfast. I purchase Farmhouse dog food from Dollar Tree because the morsels are large enough for his large Starmark dispensing ball, and he prefers to eat this instead of the Ancestral Raw, which has never happened before. At first I thought perhaps he’d acquired a taste for the cheap food instead or maybe he preferred eating food from the treat ball, so I put the Ancestral Raw in the treat ball. He didn’t touch the ball. He wanted nothing to do with the ball or the food inside. It’s definitely the food.

I’m not sure what Canidae has done. But it’s altered the food to the point where I’m hesitant to feed him any of their other brands. If I can’t trust the quality of the ingredients of an $85 bag of food, why would I trust the cheaper brands from the company. I’ve purchased a small bag of Orijean, Taste of the Wild, and Wellness Core Rawrev to see which he prefers. I’m done with Canidae.

Original review: May 11, 2020

I’ve been feeding this product of dog food for the last couple years now and I’ve had great results. Coats gleaming, better health, even more energy in my dogs. To me the expensive cost of this food was worth what I got in return. But recently in the last 15 days, this last bag of dog food I bought, things have been different for my dogs. Not only is one throwing up nonstop but the others have started and there’s a total of four dogs. They have even rejected eating the food, staring at it, moving it with their nose then walking away from bowls.

Even my 4 pound Pomeranian who Gobbles everything in front of her is refusing to eat. Normally my dogs cannot sit still to get their face and their bowls when it’s feeding time. But now they’ll finally eat after half a day goes by as if because it’s all that they have and theyre hungry. But as of the last few weeks there’s nonstop throwing up, Hesitant and refusing to eat their food and even excess urine visits.

Does anybody know of a recall Or does anybody know of attorney that is on this to figure out what is going on because I still have half a bag batch that can be tested? I would normally talk highly of this food but right now I’m not so sure anymore, people are saying in other reviews the formula has changed and if so somethings going on that’s making the dog food no longer worth buying and is killing our dogs or making them Sick.

Original review: May 5, 2020

We loved this food for many years and loved it. Recent bag was delivered from Petco with maggots. We didn’t notice at first and gave our dog food from the top of the bag - she is now on her way to the vet tomorrow. Disturbed by the lack of quality control.

Original review: May 3, 2020

This food is the SINGULAR change in my dogs premium quality diet and she has been horribly ill for 2 days after eating about 10 tiny little biscuits from CANIDAE PURE SMALL BREED. She ate at least 6 biscuits at dinner (and a few at lunch) and within the hour after dinner she was vomiting white slimy froth. Vet says likely cause is indigestion/food not agree, so who knows what awful things are in it?! I am 100% certain this food is the cause as I know she did not eat anything on a walk - the day in question was pouring rain all day and she did not leave the house. Also my husband and I (no kids) are very strict about the manner in which we keep the house so as to prevent any consumption of foreign/contraband matter.

Furthermore, when I started offering her these biscuits a few days earlier, she did not want to eat them and left them in bowl each time but I kept insisting she try them as sometimes she just doesn't like something straight away. She knew though, they were a bad apple. My mistake. We will NEVER buy this brand again. ADVICE: Research food brands before feeding. I should know better. As should Canidae know better. They are not 'pet people' - frauds! Maybe once they were a small caring company but as a new customer who has now done their research, I think that Canidae is a terrible brand that people should stay away from! We cannot put our loved ones health in their hands as our loved ones put their trust in us.

-heavily disgruntled 1 time customer/lifetime sharer of bad experience

Original review: March 2, 2020

My two Doodles have been on Canidae for over a year now. I always get the same brand and formula. The last bag had little hard white dots in the food that I never recall seeing before. With the cost of the food I would hope to not see a decline in the product. I really hate to have to switch to another brand. This should be checked.

Canidae Pet Foods author review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Canidae is a premium dog food company, offering a variety of flavors and types of food to dogs throughout the United States.

• Grain-free foods: If your dog has a grain allergy or you would prefer to give him a natural diet, you can purchase grain-free foods here.

• Fresh meat and vegetables: These foods contain a blend of meat and vegetables providing your dog with optimal health.

• Made for pets in all stages of life: From puppy to senior, you'll be able to provide your dog with the nutrition he needs.

• Variety of flavors: Canidae offers unique flavors such as duck and bison as well as standard sources of protein like chicken or lamb.

• Quality control measures: All products go through rigorous quality control assessments such as testing ingredients before using them, testing the quality throughout the food preparation process and doing safety checks prior to releasing the food for sale.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Canidae Pet Foods Company Information