4.53/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

CANIDAE is pet food made by pet people. We use the same ingredients we want for our own pets to make our foods. From working hard to form relationships with the farmers and ranchers that supply ingredients, to opening our own facility to cook the food—we’re dedicated to providing the best nutrition possible for the beloved dogs and cats that enrich our lives in so many ways. Sensitivities, picky dogs, multi-pet households, or healthy food on a budget, CANIDAE has your solution!

Canidae Pet Foods Video
Canidae Pet Foods Gallery (6)
View More View More

1600 Canidae Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: March 15, 2019

I've been purchasing Canidae food products for 13 years and I know I'm giving good quality food to my Corgi. It is expensive compared to other foods, but if you want quality and to ensure that your animal will stay healthy and be nutritionally well, I will recommend it.

Canidae Pet Foods response
Thank you for your many years of support and we thank you for taking the time to leave your review and for recommending CANIDAE!

We appreciate both you and your dog! Thanks again!

Any questions please contact us

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I was at a function in the States and I was talking to different breeders. At the time, I had a border collie and I wanted to know what to do in general, especially since back then, I didn't have access to the internet. I spoke to a breeder who was telling me that if I could get Canidae in Canada, I should get it. Or I should go out of my way to get it. And when I did, I noticed a difference in the coat of the border collie and in its eyes. I also saw the difference in its health and everything in the general within six weeks.

I love Canidae. For the last 14 years, I've been buying the All Stages product and I am really happy because I noticed a difference in all of my dogs. I used to give it to two of my dogs and they lived for 16 and 14 years with no problems. Their coats were shiny and their health were tremendous. They also had no problems with crystal in the kidneys. Now I'm down to one dog and I also give her Canidae. I'm not a chemist or a biologist, but from her the gloss of her coat, the nails, and the eyes, I would recommend that product to anybody. In fact, I have recommended it to other people. My dog is beautiful and I love her. And she's getting the best that I can find.

So I didn't wanna take her off of Canidae. And the few times that I had to, I noticed a difference. I know you always have to change the food gradually or mix it in if you're doing a transition and that's what happened this time in January. I couldn't get Canidae anymore and I was in a panic because our local suppliers stopped making it available. I'm in Canada and even though I'm close to Detroit, they wouldn't let me bring it over the border if I purchased it. So, I had to switch my dog over to what they recommended as a comparable dog food from Pet Value. Still, she was not the same and I wasn't happy. But this week I was able to get a hold of Canidae as I found one place in the county that still carries it. And I make a 30-mile drive to get it, so I bought two big bags.

Canidae Pet Foods response
Thank you for your many many years dedication and support Denise! We greatly appreciate both you and your dogs and thank you for taking the time to leave your wonderful review. We are happy that your dogs have done so well with CANIDAE for the past 14 years. Thank you again!

If there are any questions please contact us

Original review: March 8, 2019

The breeder that I bought my Australian shepherd from use Canidae. My dog likes it, and I'm totally satisfied with Canidae. I'd recommend it.

Canidae Pet Foods response
Thank you Wayne! We are very happy your Aussie likes CANIDAE and that you are satisfied as well. We appreciate you and your dogs support and thank you for your review.

If any questions please contact us.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Giving your pet natural ingredients contributes greatly. It's very healthy. I've been using Canidae for my athletic hunting dog for almost four years. I get the lamb flavored variant every month since my pet's a large breed dog and that's the flavor my vet told me to go with. I had a customer service experience that wasn't super positive, though. Still, Canidae is a reputable and healthy food for pets.

Canidae Pet Foods response
Thank you Randy for your support and for your review. We are very glad to hear how well CANIDAE has been for your athletic hunting dogs. We are very sorry to hear that you had a customer service experience you were not happy with. We not only pride ourselves with providing the pets we feed with the safest and most nutritious foods and treats possible, it is of utmost importance that we provide Stellar care for their pet parents that have chosen CANIDAE for their fur-families. We will reach out to you in a Private message to look into and take care of that for you. Thank you again!

Please contact us with any further questions.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I've been using Canidae for almost two years now. My dog, a boxer-pitbull mix, didn’t have any allergic reactions to it. I go between the Ancestral and then the duck and the lamb ones. It works great. I actually work for Petco, so I used to get a great discount.

Canidae Pet Foods response
Thank you Michael for taking the time to leave your rating and review. We appreciate you and your dogs support and are very happy that CANIDAE has been so great for your dog.

Please feel free to reach out to us with any questions.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Canidae Pet Foods?

Original review: March 4, 2019

I had a puppy and an adult dog, and it was easier to transfer them all into one food. So, I tried Canidae and I've been purchasing it for seven years now. I have two labs at the moment and I usually feed them the lamb dry food. I fed them the wet food before and I tried the chicken, but I gave them really bad gas. So, I pushed those back. Since I've been feeding them with food made of natural ingredients, they're healthy and they have a really good coat. Their bowels are normal, too.

Original review: March 3, 2019

It's extremely valuable for us to feed our pets natural ingredients and we chose Canidae for the quality. We've been using them for five years and we only get the lamb but every now and again, I'll get a bag and the food doesn’t seem that much consistent. Their pricing also went up and because of that, we're considering leaving Canidae for another pet food. But so far, we like them because all our dogs are on them and they are many. I have English Mastiff, French Bulldog, Irish Wolfhound, Great Danes, St. Bernards and English Bulldog.

Canidae Pet Foods response
Thank you for your support and for taking the time to leave your review. WE appreciate you and your dogs support. We have sent you a PM with some cost saving options. Thanks again!

Please contact us anytime you ever have any questions.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I've been using Canidae for eight years now to feed my Golden Retriever. The food is a little salty, but if you add the water, it's not bad. It's also a little pricey, but our dog is really healthy, so the food must be working.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you for your many years of support! We appreciate both you and your dogs support. We would like to let you know that we do not add any salt to our formulas. We also have some cost saving options available. Please contact us and we will be happy to assist you with that.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I have stopped buying Canidae dog food as it's on the pricey side but it's a great product. Its size and consistency were perfect for my medium and large dogs. They liked it.

Hi Carolyn,
Thank you for your support. We are glad that CANIDAE was perfect for your medium and large dogs and that they enjoyed it as well.
I have emailed you with some cost saving options.

Please contact us for any additional questions..

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Originally went with anything NUTRO. However, we have been using Canidae products for about 14 years now. A gentleman at work, who was into feeds and had other animals, said that Canidae was a really good product, so we made the switch. We tried it and our dog loved it. Our pet is a full-sized 70-pound Golden Retriever, but we got him as a puppy, so we started with the puppy variant. The newest one that we went with was the Salmon variant and he likes it a lot. It is so weird, but we are sticking with it.

It is very important to feed our pet natural ingredients. We spend a lot of money on the dog. He is one of the family members and we want to feed him good stuff. The sales person at the place where we buy, Pet Supply in Rancho Santa Margarita, talked to us about how Canidae process the food, and that really appealed to us that is why we continued doing it. Our original Golden Retriever lived for 13 years, which was a really good life span for her, and all we fed her was Canidae that is why we wanted to continue with our new dog. Canidae and Canidae products are top-notch. We’ve had very good success with it in using it with our pets and we are very satisfied.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you Dennis for your many many years of support. We are so glad to hear how well CANIDAE has been for your dogs over the past 14 years. We greatly appreciate you and your dogs support. Thanks again!

Any questions please feel free to reach out to us.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I'm a breeder and I was referred to Canidae. We've tried other ones since then but we just keep going back to the consistency of Canidae. We breed Norwegian Elkhounds and we send them home with a small bag of Canidae. We buy it more for what it doesn't do than what it does do. We've gone to Acana, Orijen and some of the other ones out there, and there were always some type of problems with them, like digestive issues, too much protein or recalls on the food. But Canidae had a lower recall history.

There are times we've been upset with them. We're not really happy with the amount of pea and legume that's in it right now. That would be one issue with them, because protein levels go up by adding the legumes in it. But for a commercially produced dog food, it's basically consistent. We use All Life Stages and the Multi-Protein for the most part. Canidae should just reduce the peas in there and make sure they change their labels when they change their products. I know they have six months before they are required to change the labels. So they have to be more proactive on notifying customers that they're making a change in their formula when they do make a change. We've been on their breeder program for a while. Our local small pet store does the program for us and we don't have to do it. We get a number of bags free and stuff like that. We recommend the product.

Canidae Pet Foods response
Thank you Leslie for your support and review. We greatly appreciate you and your dogs support.

We are aware that the FDA made an announcement regarding diet and canine health. Rest assured that the health of your pets has always been, and will continue to be, our highest priority. All of our dry dog and cat foods are formulated by a board-certified veterinarian, and made with the highest quality ingredients. Real meat or meat meal is the first ingredient in EVERY formula, which provides naturally occurring taurine. We have many choices for our consumers and for those who prefer to feed a product with Grains, please check our All Life Stages Line: https://www.canidae.com/dog-food/products/canidae-all-life-stages-dry-formula/

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

When I got my Boxer, he was eating Pedigree and he wasn't happy. He was gassy and it depends on what he ate. I read on the internet that Canidae would stop his gas, so I switched. It helped with his gas and eye boogers. I’ve got three dogs on it right now and they look forward to eating it. I use the same big bag every time. Once in a while, I would supplement, but they’re content with just the regular, old big bag. All of my dogs are in good health and weight.

Canidae used to have the dog biscuits, and they were really good. They were a couple three inches long, but you could break them into quarters. But they took them away, and I don’t know what they’ve got so I’ve done away with any Canidae treats that I would’ve ever bought. If they have something comparable, at least send coupons or some kind of free samples. But as far as the dog food, I’m still buying it.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you Chris! We are happy to hear how well CANIDAE has helped your Boxer with those issues and that all 3 of your dogs love to eat and do well with CANIDAE. We do have our Bakery Snacks and Grain Free PURE Heaven Biscuits that are similar to the other biscuits. We will send you private message to get you that information and some money saving options as well. We appreciate you and your dogs and thank you for your support!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Canidae was recommended by the vet and even the people that ran the pet stores. We used it for many years and I had two different pets on it. I had a Bernese Mountain Dog and an Australian Shepherd mix with Golden Retriever. It is very valuable to feed our pets with natural ingredients and I had one on the All Stages and one on the Senior. I love Canidae, but it is too expensive and we are no longer using it. It was close to $18 or $20 in just four or five years and it got to the point that we couldn’t afford it any longer. They had the $5 off coupon once in a while, but it wasn’t often enough. Their frequent buyer program where you buy the 10 or 12 bags was great, but still, their price got so outrageous. There are people with little dogs and it’d be okay, but I went through a bag every three weeks with two big dogs, so it was costing so much money. I was going through over two cups of food in the morning and two cups at night, so I went through it a lot quicker.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you for your support and for taking the time to leave a review. We are glad to hear how well your dogs did with CANIDAE and that your veterinarian and retailer recommends it. We have several formula to meet the needs of many dogs and their parents budgets as well. Please take a look at our Under The Sun formulas. We have reached out to you via private message with that information.Thanks again!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

One of my pets is nine years old and the other one is eleven. They're both parts of one breed. I've been purchasing Canidae for them for a long time now. I chose Canidae due to their ingredients. The ingredients of the food that we give our dogs is very important, and Canidae's ingredients are more in tuned to the welfare of our dogs.

Canidae Pet Foods response
Thank you Robert, We greatly appreciate you and your dogs support and thank you for taking the time to leave such a nice review.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions. We can be reached via phone or email.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I’ve been buying Canidae for 15 years for my two pets. One is no longer with us and another one is a mutt named Buddy. I buy the 30-pound bag of dried dog food for him and the brands vary but he eats it all. I put it in front of him and it’s done quickly. I’m giving him the best food I can give him and I like it because it's natural and good for him.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I’ve been purchasing Canidae Pet Foods for about seven years. I like their products and they have the grain free type, which my three Golden Retrievers need and like. Before we picked Canidae, we picked different brands and they seemed to like Canidae the best. One of my dogs is 90 pounds, one is 75 and the other one is about 60 and I’m very conscious of what I give them. Feeding them natural ingredients is very valuable. They have allergies and they get sick so I have to go with grain free. Canidae has good dog food and I'm very satisfied and happy with it. I will suggest it to anybody.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I moved to California from Florida and I’ve been using another food there. I have a white German Shepherd, a black Lab mix and a hound mix. And I needed something that had glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate for my white German Shepherd. Canidae was the best one that I found with the right amount of chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine in it. I was buying it for about two years. But I stopped using it after the last price increase.

My Lab mix started throwing up clear liquid once in a while in the middle of the night. I checked with the vet about it and he didn’t see any reason for it. But after I stopped using Canidae and switched to what I’m using now, he hasn’t thrown up since then. So, there’s possibly something in it that he was allergic to. Other than that, Canidae was fine. The price just went up too much and I found a good substitute that had the ingredients that I needed and had no wheat, corn or gluten.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Our goal is always to provide the highest quality pet food possible at a fair cost to our customers. It's also important to us not to compromise the quality of our ingredients. We offer several lines to meet the needs of different budgets and we also have some great cost saving options. Any questions please contact us.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

The breeder of my dogs recommended Canidae, and I have been purchasing it for about 10 years now. My dogs have done well with it. Before, my dogs would get a lot of stomach problems and throw up. My older dog is on a special diet right now. But she’s 15 so I’ll be able to switch her back to the Canidae soon. It's very valuable feeding my dogs with natural ingredients. I have fewer vet visits. Also, I love that after I buy 12 bags, I get a free one.

Canidae Pet Foods response
Thank you Margery for your many years of support. We are glad to be such a great part of your dogs lives and to offer a food that helps them with their stomach problems. We appreciate both you and your dogs. Thanks again!

Please feel free to reach out to us with any questions.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

My lab likes Canidae. My dog has a super sensitive stomach, so I don't change flavors or anything. Canidae is good and I’ve been using it for about three and a half years now. I get a couple free bags every once in a while and that works out good. I buy the smaller bag because I've gotten the bigger bag and there was mold at the bottom of it. My mom gave Canidae to her dogs as well.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you for your support Wendy! We are very happy to hear how well your dog with a sensitive stomach does with CANIDAE. We are also sorry to hear of your occurrence with your bag. Please be sure to let us know anytime you have any questions or concerns. We can be reached via phone or email.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Canidae was the food that the breeder that I bought my dogs from use. I have Labrador retrievers and I've been using Canidae for over 12 years now. There was a moment where I was getting apprehensive because I think they started doing business with Diamond. But I understand that they have severed relations and they're an independent company now again. And the plants that they used seem to be very clean and meticulous about contaminants and such. So, I have a pretty high level of trust for the company as far as quality control is concerned. And that's the main reason that I stayed with them this long. I'd be always happier if they would lower their prices, but I do believe in you get what you pay for it too. So, I really don't have a problem with anything they do.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Feeding my Chihuahua with natural ingredients is helpful. I’ve been feeding him Canidae for three years and it's perfect. I always get the one in the light green and yellow package since he likes that one.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I currently feed Canidae All Life Stages canned and the raw coated kibble. This is the only food that makes my dog have solid poo and no diarrhea. It is quite costly though but the company gives out coupons every now and then. Only dog food I feed. However, my dog was on the weight management/senior formula and it made my dog extremely hungry. She'd eat poo outside and scavenge through the grass for stuff. So I switched back to the canned and kibble I mentioned above and she loves it. No problems at all. I am though worried about the whole taurine - grain free food issue going around. I was told Canidae uses a lot of legumes and such. I was wondering if your food is linked to the DCM health problem?

Canidae Pet Foods response
Thank you Darian for your support and for taking the time leave your review.

We appreciate both you and your dogs support, who is SUPER cute by the way :)

We invite you to contact our Engagement and Loyalty Team to discuss any concerns or to help you select the perfect product for your pet. 800-398-1600 ext 0 or support@canidae.com

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

We use the Canidae chicken and lamb formula. Canidae was initially recommended by a friend and we've been using it for 10 years now. I wish it was a little cheaper but at this point, our animals have been on it for so long that we don’t wanna change them over to something else. It also seems like their coats were a little bit better using this type of food than the other generic type of food we used before. On Canidae, they didn’t seem like they were losing their hair. Our animals are all about the same age. In fact, they’re getting old. They’re about 10 to 11 years old. We have two Min Pins, a Chihuahua and a Pomeranian, and they definitely enjoy Canidae.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you Steve for your many years of support and for taking the time to leave your nice review. We are very happy to hear how well your little dogs are doing with their CANIDAE and that their coats are much better with CANIDAE. Thanks again!

Any questions please feel free to contact us!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I have three Newfoundland dogs and Canidae is something that agrees with all of them. I give them the grain-free with lamb. I've been using Canidae for eight years and occasionally, I send Canidae an e-mail when I ask them for some coupons, and they send me a few $5 coupons. But they could work on the price. The food is extremely expensive, and with three of these big guys, I go through a bag a week. In fact, they just raised the price recently. I was paying somewhere around $54 a bag for a 24-pound bag of the grain-free, and it is almost $63 a bag now. Other than that, Canidae has been great.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I have been purchasing Canidae Products for seven years. The breeder of our puppy recommended it. Because it seems to be a good diet, we continue to use it. We started with a Border Collie and an Australian Shepherd. Now, we're down to just the Australian Shepherd and she's a little bit bigger than her sister. So the doctor recommended the weight management program. Since she has a sensitive tummy, we don't switch up her food at all. She throws up when we give her anything. Also, Canidae has a program that if you buy 12 bags, you get a free one, so we keep our UPC codes. Overall, the Canidae dog food has been good and has met our dogs' dietary needs. My dogs always have healthy fur.

Canidae Pet Foods response
Thank you for your support and for taking the time to leave your review. We are glad to hear how well CANIDAE has been over the many years of your dogs lives and are happy the CANIDAE weight management has been so good for your sensitive girl.

Any questions please contact us.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I have been purchasing Canidae for a little over two years now. I have two German Shepherds, and one of them has an allergy to like wheat. She got a really sensitive stomach. Unfortunately, she'll eat anything, but it creates a big mess, depending on how her stomach reacts to it. We tried a bunch of different types of food, and it turned out she has got a slight allergy to chicken, so that kinda weeded out a bunch of them. My sister has a German Shepherd, too, and she recommended us going to Canidae because her vet suggested it. We then switched over and haven't had any problem. My dogs are spoiled, like crazy. They eat better than I do most of the time, so their health and well-being and just being comfortable all the time is very important. I have already recommended it to a bunch of my friends and family that have pets.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Our experience with Canidae has all been positive. They were recommended by the pet food store. We have an 11-year-old medium-sized, female boxer. We feed her the senior chicken. She has a sensitive stomach and once we have something that she likes, we try to stick with it. She also tends to have an allergy to a lot of additives. We try to keep pure, which is top on our list.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I have two dogs and one of them was having allergies and a friend of mine recommended Canidae, which is what she uses for her dogs. I have a Lab mix who's about 70 pounds and a 35 pound Whippet mix. And I use the Pure on them. It's grain-free and has limited ingredients. It has cleared up my dog's allergies completely unless she rolls on the grass. I love Canidae and I like that they have a loyalty program, too.

Canidae Pet Foods response
We are so happy to hear how well CANIDAE has been for clearing up your dogs allergies! We thank you and your dogs for your support and appreciate you taking the time to leave your review.

Any questions please contact us.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

Someone that I know and trust uses Canidae and have recommended it for my dogs. On the day that I went to buy some at the local feed store, there was a representative from Canidae and he told me the Canidae story. It sounded like a good option for my animals. I have three dogs and two cats whose ages range from 3 to 12. I've been using Canidae for a year and a half now and it has been helpful. My dogs don't seem to have stomach issues so much like they used to.

Canidae Pet Foods response
Thank you Janet for your support and for taking the time to leave your review. We are very happy to hear that CANIDAE has worked so well for your dogs and their sensitive tummies. We appreciate both you and your dogs :)

Please contact us with any questions.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Our dog looked like the one at The Haunted Mansion at Disneyland. He was skinny and scrawny and it didn't matter what we fed him, he just wouldn't gain weight. Although his blood work was fine, he had stopped metabolizing. The lady at the feed store said that we gotta change to Canidae. She told me that they have different proteins in it, and so we did. Within six months of starting the pet food, he was like the cool, healthy boxer. He doesn't have any of the skin issues our friends and neighbors' dogs have. We tried their no-grain, but we've gone back to the all-purpose 44-pound bag. We have been purchasing Canidae for 10 years and we're sticking with it.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you Melanie for your many years of support! We are so happy you found CANIDAE and that we have been able to help your Boxer get to a healthy weight. We appreciate both you and your sweet boy!

Any questions please contact us!

Canidae Pet Foods expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Canidae is a premium dog food company, offering a variety of flavors and types of food to dogs throughout the United States.

• Grain-free foods: If your dog has a grain allergy or you would prefer to give him a natural diet, you can purchase grain-free foods here.

• Fresh meat and vegetables: These foods contain a blend of meat and vegetables providing your dog with optimal health.

• Made for pets in all stages of life: From puppy to senior, you'll be able to provide your dog with the nutrition he needs.

• Variety of flavors: Canidae offers unique flavors such as duck and bison as well as standard sources of protein like chicken or lamb.

• Quality control measures: All products go through rigorous quality control assessments such as testing ingredients before using them, testing the quality throughout the food preparation process and doing safety checks prior to releasing the food for sale.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Canidae Pet Foods Company Information