4.64/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

CANIDAE is pet food made by pet people. We use the same ingredients we want for our own pets to make our foods. From working hard to form relationships with the farmers and ranchers that supply ingredients, to opening our own facility to cook the food—we’re dedicated to providing the best nutrition possible for the beloved dogs and cats that enrich our lives in so many ways. Sensitivities, picky dogs, multi-pet households, or healthy food on a budget, CANIDAE has your solution!

Canidae Pet Foods Video
Canidae Pet Foods Gallery (6)
View More View More

1699 Canidae Pet Foods Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: May 11, 2019

My dogs seem to like Canidae. It is a high-end food, and the price is a little high. I have one of my other dogs on another brand that is as high-quality, and I mix it with Canidae. My other dog, Wrigley, has allergies so she is on a strict Canidae diet. He used to eat Pinnacle Trout & Sweet Potato, and they went to the complete west coast strictly. So, they don't deliver up here anymore. I got forced to switch to another food and Canidae was the closest ingredient to that with everything that my dog needed. If Canidae wasn’t so expensive, I would buy more of it. But if it ends up going up any higher, then I’m gonna look at another brand.

I put my dog food in a bin, and you can definitely see the difference between the two dog foods. Wrigley’s bin is not greasy, but the other bin is greasy. One thing that I don't like about Canidae is that because it is so pure, a couple times I’ve gotten bags of food and opened them up, it was all powder. It must have been the bag on the bottom and it gets crushed. The community store also said that there’s nothing in it to preserve this type of things to keep it from not doing that. But they did reimburse and we brought back the food.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you Jen! We appreciate you and your dogs support and are happy to hear how well CANIDAE has been for your dog with allergies. We sent you a PM with some cost saving options. If ever you have any questions please reach out to us.

Thanks again!

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 1, 2019

We were using Eukanuba, but Eukanuba had a recall. We decided to try and change. My husband's a research scientist and he did an exhaustive research about foods and contents. We went with Canidae and I love the food. We have six Great Danes and I'm feeding the grain free Pure Sky to the boy. And on the girls, right now, they're on Life Stages, the orange bag.

One thing I am disappointed about Canidae though is they had a large breed puppy food, which was fantastic. And we raised one whole litter on it. And then they quit making it. I want healthy ingredients that are good nutrition. I'm not averse to supplementing and putting vitamins or whatever else that I need to, but good healthy food is what I'm looking for. And Great Danes are really touchy as puppies and you gotta be very careful about not overdoing the protein, the calcium, and any of that stuff. And I recommend to all my puppy owners to put them on Canidae.

I am concerned about the thing that's going off right now about what's causing the heart problems with dog foods. Some people are pointing their finger at grain-free, and yet it's not really proven one way or the other. Canidae has not been in the list of foods to watch out for. But if Canidae can give any feedback on that, I'd appreciate it. Our experience with them has been extremely good because every time we've had a concern, we'd call them. My husband has called them, and they've gotten him to a person who's knowledgeable. And if they don't know the answer to the question he's asking, and he can ask them pretty penetrating questions, they've gotten back to him.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you Barbara for your support and for taking the time to leave such a nice review and rating. We greatly appreciate you and your dogs and have enjoyed helping you over the years. We do now have a Life Stages Large breed formula for puppies, adults and seniors.

We understand your concerns, rest assured that the health of your pets (and our own) is our highest priority. The FDA is investigating a possible link between diet and canine heart disease which may be caused by a lack of taurine. Our products are formulated by a board certified veterinarian, and real meat or meat meal is the first ingredient in EVERY formula, which provides naturally occurring taurine. As with all important decisions regarding your pet, we advise doing your own research. Here is a helpful link to an article from the FDA to help you make your decision: https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/ResourcesforYou/AnimalHealthLiteracy/ucm616279.htm

If you prefer to feed your pet a diet with healthy grains, we recommend checking out our All Life Stages formulas or if you are looking for a formula without potatoes and peas take a look at our Under The Sun Original Formula.

We can be reached at 800-398-1600 ext 0 or support@canidae.com with any questions and Barbara we will send you an email with this info as well. Thank you again!

Original review: March 14, 2019

I was at a function in the States and I was talking to different breeders. At the time, I had a border collie and I wanted to know what to do in general, especially since back then, I didn't have access to the internet. I spoke to a breeder who was telling me that if I could get Canidae in Canada, I should get it. Or I should go out of my way to get it. And when I did, I noticed a difference in the coat of the border collie and in its eyes. I also saw the difference in its health and everything in the general within six weeks.

I love Canidae. For the last 14 years, I've been buying the All Stages product and I am really happy because I noticed a difference in all of my dogs. I used to give it to two of my dogs and they lived for 16 and 14 years with no problems. Their coats were shiny and their health were tremendous. They also had no problems with crystal in the kidneys. Now I'm down to one dog and I also give her Canidae. I'm not a chemist or a biologist, but from her the gloss of her coat, the nails, and the eyes, I would recommend that product to anybody. In fact, I have recommended it to other people. My dog is beautiful and I love her. And she's getting the best that I can find.

So I didn't wanna take her off of Canidae. And the few times that I had to, I noticed a difference. I know you always have to change the food gradually or mix it in if you're doing a transition and that's what happened this time in January. I couldn't get Canidae anymore and I was in a panic because our local suppliers stopped making it available. I'm in Canada and even though I'm close to Detroit, they wouldn't let me bring it over the border if I purchased it. So, I had to switch my dog over to what they recommended as a comparable dog food from Pet Value. Still, she was not the same and I wasn't happy. But this week I was able to get a hold of Canidae as I found one place in the county that still carries it. And I make a 30-mile drive to get it, so I bought two big bags.

Canidae Pet Foods response
Thank you for your many many years dedication and support Denise! We greatly appreciate both you and your dogs and thank you for taking the time to leave your wonderful review. We are happy that your dogs have done so well with CANIDAE for the past 14 years. Thank you again!

If there are any questions please contact us

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Canidae is all natural, and that is very valuable. It's like what we put in our bodies, we have to think about what our pets put in their bodies as well. I've been purchasing Canidae for at least six years. The store that we purchase it from recommended Canidae for our yellow Lab. She was about two before we got her, and she's already nine. We use the brown 40-pound bag. It lasts a very long time. I wish, however, that they had a better way to open the bag. When I open it, I have to fold it down and use a clothespin. It's not like I can unzip it. At the pet store that I buy it from, they take and cut the UPC symbol off the back, and that leaves a hole in my bag. They have to tape that up because for every semi-bag, I get a free bag. But our biggest thing is having to get into the bag. It's made up of thick plastic and it lasts me for several months, but I wish there was a better way to keep it sealed.

I think adding a zipper-type seal and maybe putting the UPC at the higher portion of the bag would help everyone out, especially the people at the pet store. They don’t have to worry about the food being down there at the bottom where they have to cut the UPC off and have to put the tape over. I wish there was a way that the UPC would kind of peel off. That would be easy for them. But for me, I would like to be able to just zip it open. That way I can zip it close and know that the food is kept fresh. Still, Canidae helps out in my pet's coat and appearance. Its natural ingredients are really good for her.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you for your support and for taking the time to leave your review. We are very happy that the CANIDAE has been so wonderful for your Lab for the past 6 years. We greatly appreciate you both and we thank you for your suggestion as well. I will send this over for review for future changes. I have also sent you a PM with some suggestions for the upc code as it does not have to be cut out at time of purchase. Thanks again Angie.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Canidae has better ingredients and we used it for about 5 years for our cat and dog. Our eight-year-old male cat liked the Canidae but he was finicky. When the cat food got old, he didn't finish eating what was in his bowl. I would have to dump that out and put fresh food in and then put the older stuff back on top so he’d eat that and it won’t go rancid. I had to do that with the dog food too. The big bag fills 2 food grade containers and by the time we got to halfway through the second pail, the food would be rancid. We could smell it. Our 13-year-old dog won’t eat it too.

We used to buy the chicken flavored ones and we like that the idea that Canidae had three to one ratio between fat and carbs. If it's less than that, then that’s what fattens pigs. The dog was overweight and used to stink when we first got him. He became very active when he was here with us and he slimmed right down just by giving him Canidae dog food. Even though we gave him more than what he was supposed to be eating, he still slimmed down. Also, he had the right calcium and the things that he needed from the dog food so the odor went away.

We liked the dog food but we got so tired of having to throw some out because it would always go rancid on us. We stopped feeding Canidae to our pets 8 months ago even though they are not really fond of what we've got right now and our dog is having a problem chewing. He’s a Blue Heeler and they’re cattle dogs that like to chase the horses. Sometimes, he gets kicked in the mouth by the horses if he doesn’t watch what he’s doing. His teeth are getting real sensitive, so I've been adding water to the dog food to make it softer. But he really doesn’t like it. He really didn’t like that dog food in the first place but at least it wasn’t rancid.

During the summer, we would buy smaller bags, but then we would be in the grocery store all the time buying the smaller bags. A couple of stores close by just have the bigger ones. To get a smaller bag, we had to go way down to Eau Claire that is 40 miles away. I wish Canidae would have a softer dog food too for dogs that can’t chew the hard stuff. My husband reads a lot of labels and he says that Canidae is about the best that we can come across.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Canidae Pet Foods?

Original review: July 25, 2019

Canidae was the only one that didn’t have contaminants and recalls that were bad for our dogs. It was one of the ones that were listed that were better for quality control according to our vet. I have a black Labrador and a Boston Terrier and they seem to like Canidae. My lab has maintained the same weight for like four years. He's been pretty healthy with it. I also liked the fact that our pet store gives us a Canidae discount or the 10th bag free. That's awesome. It is a little more on the expensive side but I don't mind to spend money for something of quality. I would recommend Canidae.

Original review: July 17, 2019

It’s been eight or nine years since I've been purchasing Canidae. My dog seemed to like it and it was good. We were having some issues with his coat and stuff getting patchy, and Canidae was something they recommended to us. That’s definitely what helped him out with his coat.

Original review: July 16, 2019

My two and a half year-old yellow lab was having a lot of intestinal problems, and Canidae was the first one that we put her on that she actually cleared up her diarrhea. She does Life Stages and I don’t see ever taking her off the Canidae. My elder dog used Fromm, but I don’t wanna take any chances. She had trouble with Fromm in the beginning with her intestines, so I’m not gonna try to put her on it. She’s doing well in Canidae. I mix Canidae with side dish of chicken, green beans, carrots, and peas, and I put a little bit of that as a filler in with the dog food, so they don’t eat so much dog food with all that fat. And she does very, very well.

Original review: July 15, 2019

Canidae was our choice for our dogs for at least 15 years. They were athletes, trim, energetic, and had beautiful coats. This past winter both our current dogs got sick, one with bloody stools and the other puking up his Canidae within minutes of eating it. The bag of food smelled rancid when that happened, but the problem continued with subsequent, better smelling bags. We had to feed them cottage cheese and rice to get them feeling better, then retried easing them onto the Lamb and Rice formula. They became sick again, and my Great Dane mix had to have a trip to the vet because he was refusing his food, trembling, and lethargic. Vet could find no disease in him. Switched off to a different food, and he went back to normal. I don't think his coat is as nice as it was on the OLD Canidae formula, but I'm not going to kill my dog for the sake of a shiny coat.

Canidae Pet Foods response

We are very sorry to hear that your dogs have not felt well and glad to hear they are doing better. We are committed to excellence and providing our customers' pet's with superior quality nutrition. We urge our customers to contact us anytime there is ever any questions or concerns. We value you and your dogs and thank you for your past 15 years of support and have sent you a private message to see if we can assist you with a different formula.

Original review: July 11, 2019

Our English Bulldog was on Blue Buffalo before for the puppy food and then we moved into Canidae. This is the only food that we use and we got it around six months into a year. We decided to go with the Life Stages as it was the only one available in the big bag. However, in the past six months, our dog's stomach has been upset and his flatulence has been up to a new level. We don’t know if his stomach is reacting to Canidae differently so we bought a different brand. But Canidae has been really good.

Canidae Pet Foods expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Canidae is a premium dog food company, offering a variety of flavors and types of food to dogs throughout the United States.

• Grain-free foods: If your dog has a grain allergy or you would prefer to give him a natural diet, you can purchase grain-free foods here.

• Fresh meat and vegetables: These foods contain a blend of meat and vegetables providing your dog with optimal health.

• Made for pets in all stages of life: From puppy to senior, you'll be able to provide your dog with the nutrition he needs.

• Variety of flavors: Canidae offers unique flavors such as duck and bison as well as standard sources of protein like chicken or lamb.

• Quality control measures: All products go through rigorous quality control assessments such as testing ingredients before using them, testing the quality throughout the food preparation process and doing safety checks prior to releasing the food for sale.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Canidae Pet Foods Company Information