4.45/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

CANIDAE is pet food made by pet people. We use the same ingredients we want for our own pets to make our foods. From working hard to form relationships with the farmers and ranchers that supply ingredients, to opening our own farm to grow ingredients and our own facility to cook the food—we’re dedicated to providing the best nutrition possible for the beloved dogs and cats that enrich our lives in so many ways. Sensitivities, picky dogs, multi-pet households, or healthy food on a budget, CANIDAE has your solution!

Canidae Pet Foods Video
Canidae Pet Foods Gallery (6)
View More View More

1555 Canidae Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Yes we have been using Canidae food for our 2 dogs for about 6 months, the food has been good until we bought our last bag - it was a different color and smell. My dogs would not eat it at first which is odd because they always scarf it down so I thought they were just getting tired of it, then they both started to get diarrhea. It would come and go. I really didn’t think it was the food so I stopped all treats and anything else and I was still cleaning up diarrhea all over my house. Thank God I have tile so I might be changing dog food as I don’t want my dogs to go through this again!

Canidae Pet Foods response

We thank you for your support and we are sorry to hear that your pets have not been feeling well. There are many reasons that pets can become ill and we understand your concern about the food that you are feeding.

We would like to reassure you that we do not have any quality or safety issues with our products. We have an extensive quality and safety program in place for our ingredients as well as our finished products.

We do not have any reports of problems or issues with our products.

We have sent a private message and we look forward to speaking to you in regards to your situation.

Please feel free to contact our Engagement and Loyalty Team if you have any questions. 800-398-1600 or support@canidae.com

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I have a Caucasian Ovcharka. It's a Russian snow dog. It's a big breed and a guard dog and it's over 200 pounds. He's friendly and he's good with the kids. I've been purchasing Canidae off and on for the last five years. It was recommended by my buddy who breeds dogs. I've seen all his dogs, and they are big, healthy and fat. I then got Canidae for my dog, and he's also fat and healthy. I took him to the vet and the vet said there's nothing wrong with him. The Canidae food helps my dog and keeps him where he needs to be.

My buddy recommended Pure and I take the biggest bag that I've seen. I also try to pick up more weight so I don’t have to go back to the store in the next couple of days or the next week with the dog. I stock up on the food just like I do with more of the essentials. I also got a little Shepherd now. She's about a year old, and I'm feeding her the Canidae as well, and she's bigger than her brothers and sisters that I see. So, I'm happy with what I've got. I recommend Canidae to anybody. My cousin has Pit bulls and I tell him all the time that he's better off getting that Canidae food. It'll last him longer. They won't be pooping out their guts and they'll be happy with what they're getting.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I have been purchasing Canidae for about 20 years. As one of my dogs lived for 14 years and the other one for around 12, it's good-quality food from what I can tell. I don’t have a pet right now, but I watch the neighbor's Labradoodles and I buy Canidae. One of the dogs is Rigby. He is six, about 75 pounds, and a gentle giant. The other one is a little puppy and he's four months old. The dogs like Canidae and I don’t feed them anything else. First, they go from the Puppy and then I do the All Life Stages. The brand also fits with my philosophy. We eat organic food and pastured meat. We eat clean, so I would assume you gotta do that same thing for your pets. It definitely is worth it to buy Canidae.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I have fed my Boxers Canidae Grain Free for 3 years. I switched from Blue Buffalo. They are both 8 years old and have thrived on the grain free. They need it as they both used to get yeasty feet and have had skin problems. Both have cleared up on Canidae Grain Free however the last bag I got has a different color to it with different sized kibble. They both experienced constipation! I went back to my local Murdock’s and bought a new bag and they were fine 18 hours later. Must have had a bad batch?

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

We have been feeding our Black Lab this brand for about 8 months and he loves it. But the last purchase of the 44 lb bag has larger pieces mixed in with the regular size and he seems to smell it and walk away. Have they changed the kibble size???

Hi Debbie,
Thank you for your support. We have not had any changes with this formula. We have reached out to you in a private message to offer further assistance. Any additional questions please contact us.

Thank you!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Canidae Pet Foods?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Canidae is all natural, and that is very valuable. It's like what we put in our bodies, we have to think about what our pets put in their bodies as well. I've been purchasing Canidae for at least six years. The store that we purchase it from recommended Canidae for our yellow Lab. She was about two before we got her, and she's already nine. We use the brown 40-pound bag. It lasts a very long time. I wish, however, that they had a better way to open the bag. When I open it, I have to fold it down and use a clothespin. It's not like I can unzip it. At the pet store that I buy it from, they take and cut the UPC symbol off the back, and that leaves a hole in my bag. They have to tape that up because for every semi-bag, I get a free bag. But our biggest thing is having to get into the bag. It's made up of thick plastic and it lasts me for several months, but I wish there was a better way to keep it sealed.

I think adding a zipper-type seal and maybe putting the UPC at the higher portion of the bag would help everyone out, especially the people at the pet store. They don’t have to worry about the food being down there at the bottom where they have to cut the UPC off and have to put the tape over. I wish there was a way that the UPC would kind of peel off. That would be easy for them. But for me, I would like to be able to just zip it open. That way I can zip it close and know that the food is kept fresh. Still, Canidae helps out in my pet's coat and appearance. Its natural ingredients are really good for her.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I’ve been purchasing Canidae for several years now and I chose it because it is grain free. But apparently, Canidae is not as preservative-free and natural as I was hoping. I feed it to my two older Labs and I’ve got one who's got those fatty tumors and she is so bumpy. I thought that Canidae would help but it has really not. That aside, it's great and I would recommend them.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

Canidae seemed like a good product and I fed my cattle dogs with it for six months. I have 12 dogs on it and after they were on it for a short time, it started making all of them sick. So, I had to quit feeding Canidae to them. I wish I knew why it caused that and what was in it that was so bad.

Hello Chelaci,

We are so sorry to hear that your pups got sick. We would be more than happy to help you out by getting the production code and best if used by date off of the bag so we can do a further investigation as to what may have happened.

We are sorry to hear that. It is important to transition your pet from one food to another slowly. Did you follow the suggestions on the brochure? If so, and your pet didn’t react well to that particular formula, please feel free to call us so we can discuss the best solution for your pets specific needs. We apologize again and If you have any other questions or if we can be of any other assistance to you, feel free to let us know. Thank you again and have a great day.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I’ve been buying Canidae for about 11 years. I've fed it for my blue-nosed pit-bull. That was all I fed to him. When I purchased my dog, that was what the owner was feeding the dog so I kept using it. I was using a different pet food brand for a while but the dog started getting gassy, and his coat wasn’t the same. So I switched back to Canidae. I like this dog food. I now have a little brown-nosed pit-bull, and I still buy it for her.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I have an 8 yr old Aussie. He didn't start with Canidae, he was previously on Purina and then Merrick. I liked Merrick for being protein based without too many fillers. Then Merrick was bought by Purina. I chose to switch to Canidae based on its ingredients and the way they process (smaller scale). I want my dog to be around for as long as I can have him, and I know that starts with his diet. He eats better than me I'm sure. He loves any flavor of the Pure Elements, I usually order the Sky (duck) because I think it has the best overall nutrition. Love this brand, a little sad there is no senior pure elements option as he approaches his older years, and I plan to feed every pet I have in the future Canidae also.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Canidae is a great dog food. I've been using it for about three years now. I have two German Shepherds and their coats are beautiful and they're healthy looking dogs.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I've been using Canidae for 10 years now. Canidae came as a recommendation from the owner of the local dog food store, Spot's, all those years ago and I value the her, her opinion and how she cares after her customers and her animals. She doesn’t sell junk. I went with her and that recommendation and it stuck when we left my town. I’m a creature of habit but it's not just brand loyalty. It’s convenience.

I was a little concerned at first that Canidae was like a little bit boutiquey and that it might be hard to find in different towns that we’ve lived in. I lived in and moved to Colorado and back, and I was getting Canidae in Colorado. But I’ve always been able to find it and it’s been easier. I only shop at independent stores and there are two in my town now. So that makes it easy to purchase Canidae. We use the wet and the dry. My border collie is 12 now and he is full of energy and in perfect weight. He has a beautiful coat too. We see all the things you wanna see so we’re doing something right.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I've been feeding my pets Canidae for at least 10 years now. I started using it after my vet mentioned it when one of our beagles was having a problem. We use the Life Stages variety as I figured it was the best for our dogs. We stayed steady with one kind so it wouldn't upset their stomachs.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

We have two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. The breeder that we got the dogs from was using Canidae pet food, so we just continued it. Normally, we purchase it from the local pet food store. But our dogs are now on the reduced diet for seniors because they're old. I’m part of the loyalty program of Canidae and one suggestion would be for them to have the UPCs tear off instead of our having to slice the bag all the time. But other than that, we've been using this brand of pet food for our dogs for ten years and our experience with it has been good.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

When we started with Canidae, we thought the dogs were allergic to grain. Canidae didn’t help with the allergies but the dogs weren’t allergic to grain and even when we found that out, we still continued to use the same product. We've been using Canidae for three years now. I use the adult product and I normally buy it through our feed store. But I was feeding six dogs that stuff everyday so I would like bigger cans. But that aside, the product is great. We have rescue dogs who are mixed breeds and they have never gotten sick on it. They definitely seem to be healthier too.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

We buy our food at Wachters here in Ojai, and they recommended Canidae. And if something works, you don’t wanna not use it. My Basset, who is eight, has been eating Canidae the entire time now. He’s on the adult. He started on the regular and he’s never had any health problems at all. Some Bassets tend to get really fat, but my Basset’s always been a perfect weight. So, we are very happy with it. And my daughter’s puppy has been eating the same food.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I used the Canidae adult formula called All Life Stages which was in a 44-pound bag. It’s good-quality food. However, one of my dogs had to go on a special diet so I quit using Canidae for her and the other rescue dog I got didn’t care for its taste. Other than that, I have always fed Canidae to all my dogs. I started buying Canidae when I moved out here to Lockeford in 2010. The feed store had it and the vet thought it was good food. I did it for seven and a half years and I stopped six months ago.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I saw a buddy, he had a dog and he looked real nice, his coat and everything. So, I started using Canidae. I was using it for a long time, but I recently just stopped using it. I started noticing that it would make my dog’s teeth really dirty. I got a new puppy and he’s not even a year old. And then I started looking at his teeth and they were dirty. I usually clean them, but I just thought it was too quick for them to be that dirty.

The food that I was using for them was the All Life Stages. From that food, I switched them to this other food with higher protein and a bit higher in fat. But I noticed that if they were pooping two or three times a day, now they’re pooping once a day. I took them to go get their teeth cleaned and after that, they’re doing a little better now. Their teeth are staying a bit cleaner. We have a little dog and we still give him the grain-free, the PURE Sea one. However, when I put the dog food in buckets, I notice that their food leaves the bucket a bit more greasy. Once the food is over and I could touch the bucket, it just feels like it had oil on it. Nevertheless, I always recommend Canidae. It’s a good dog food.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you Sergio for your support and your review. We have not experienced that with our foods and woudl love to discuss that with you. We have sent you a private message. Thanks!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I want my dogs to have a good life, so I want them to have good food. Canidae isn't like the TV ones that you just get from the store and has more of the high-quality ingredients. I currently have a four-year-old Labradoodle and she has EPI - which means that she can't digest food without enzymes - and Canidae has been working great for her.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I've been using Canidae to feed my pets for three years now. I've found feeding them natural ingredients very valuable and it seems like Canidae is the best option. I started giving Life Stages to my 13-year-old black Lab and 10-year-old chocolate Lab for its ingredients as they had food allergies - the chocolate Lab having really bad ones. He's now on a fish diet so we took him of it. Now, only my Siamese mix eats Canidae and we have noticed that he has been much more active when he switched his food.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you Melissa for your support and for your review. We are glad to hear how well your cat is doing with the CANIDAE. We also have many new options available that fit the needs of many dogs with allergies. I sent you a PM to help you find a formula that will work for your Labs. Please feel free to contact us with any additional questions. Thank you again!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

The owner of the pet store I shop at, Zeetlegoo's, had done research on Canidae and convinced me that it was a good pet food. I've been using it for about four years now and I've been happy with it. I buy the regular Canidae and also the senior one, which has a little bit less calories. Both of my dogs were fat but I still made sure that they were getting enough of other stuff so I mixed the food. Feeding my pets natural ingredients is very important and Canidae definitely improved their health. We have a 10-year-old female English Bulldog and a black 10-year-old pug, who unfortunately died a couple of months ago. But up until she got sick, both of them were healthy.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I have a six-year-old Boxer and it's been four years since I started feeding him Canidae. I would never feed my dog a mainstream, non-natural product so I wanted something that wasn't filled with corn or fake stuff, and Canidae appears to be not that. I was also looking for something digestible as Boxers are finicky about what they eat and they're really hard to put weight on. I found that they easily digest chicken kibble. I can also mix that with something, which is nice. I like Canidae's products a lot and I also like that for every 12 bags I buy, my 13th bag is free.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you Nicholas for your support, review and your rating. We are very happy that CANIDAE works so well for your Boxer. We appreciate you both. Please feel free to contact us with any additional questions. Thank you!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

We've had our puppy for 3 months and, based on a recommendation from the breeder, we’ve been feeding her the Canidae puppy chow. Everything was fine until the third bag, in which the kibbles were at least twice as large as the previous. I thought it was odd, but didn’t become concerned until our puppy stopped finishing her portions and got diarrhea. I called the company and they were surprised at the size and sent out a voucher for a replacement bag. We went straight out and bought another bag and the size was back to normal and puppy went back normal. Now we just had the experience again and being only the first day, it’s too early to tell if it’ll impact puppy. I called the company again and again they offered to send out a voucher, which is fine. But I live in the country, and simply running down to the corner pet store is not an option, and unscheduled trips are very inconvenient.

Canidae has requested a sample of the kibbles, which we’ll send in, but here’s what’s a little upsetting… First, this is the second time within a few months and I’ve had no explanation from the company, other than “we’ll have to check with the distributor.” Worth pointing out is that these larger kibble bags came from two different sources, one on-line and the other a local pet store, but who knows, maybe the same distributor. Second, the diarrhea and loss of appetite (too early to tell on the second bag, though she’s had three BMs before 10 am, which is unusual) could be a result of change of product, which means who knows what’s actually in the bag.

Third, the lack of explanation and follow through is really frustrating. Based on my conversation with the rep, it’s my understanding that they do not retain control of the production, but instead rely on outside distributors to manufacture the food. That’s quite different than the perception you get from reading their story on-line and maybe that’s the nature of business these days. But when you’re paying for a premium product, I would expect a higher level of oversight on the company’s side to ensure the consumer is actually getting what we’re supposed to. I’ve rated it at 1 star to hopefully get someone’s attention but for what it’s worth, the proper sized puppy chow has been good and I would have rated that much higher.

Hi Alex,

We are very sorry to hear of this occurrence and for your disappointment with this. We understand how you feel. Our pet foods are made in small batches. The variation in color, size and shape that you may notice from bag to bag can be attributed to the natural key ingredients that we use in our products. We never use chemicals, artificial colors or dyes in manufacturing our products.

Ethos Pet Nutrition, our own facility in Brownwood Texas, produces most of our food. We are very proud of our facility and are continually working to expand its cooking capacity.

We will contact you by the email provided and set up a replacement without having to go to the store. We want to insure both quality of our products and the happiness of you and your pup :)

If there are any additional questions please contact us at 800-398-1600 ext 0 or support@canidae.com

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I’m a breeder of multigen Australian Labradoodles and I’ve been using Canidae for about six years. It's great. I have tried several different brands and I go to a website that rates dog food by the paws, 5 being the best, top-of-the-line food and 0 being the worst. Canidae is a 4 on that website. Plus when I read that Canidae was from a local person and what nutrients are in it, I thought it was great. The four-meat one caught my attention because I have so many dogs and the price was right. But then I found out that some of my puppies were allergic to the chicken. I switched because you can’t give puppies chicken or beef in the first year of their life. I switched to the Lamb and the Rice then sometimes, I use the grain-free one too. I like that one.

The dogs are doing great on Canidae. The best part about it is that it’s easier for the puppies to eat, transitioning from mother’s milk to whole food. It's easier because I mix it with another brand of food, which is grain-free, and it works great. When people purchase the puppies, I give them a shopping list. I recommend Canidae. When the puppies go home, they have to eat what they've been eating. That’s also part of my guarantee. I guarantee the puppies' health for two years but if the people aren’t feeding them the proper nutrition, then the guarantee is null and void.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

We get rewards by using Canidae and it's good for my pets. My one cocker lived 15 years. We had a young cocker and an older cocker, plus we had an older lab and they just devour it. I feed our pets the best that we could find and Canidae seemed to be the best with the ingredients. My mother-in-law pushes it on us too. My wife actually has friends that she takes the dog food to because they don’t have it in their area. She purchases it for them at my mother-in-law’s store. It has been a great product for us and we have never changed it. We were changing dog foods for a while and it seemed like Canidae is the one that the dogs have really liked, and they don’t get tired of it.

Canidae Pet Foods response
Thank you for your many many years of support and for recommending it as well. That is so nice for your wife in helping supply it to friends who cannot get it in their area. We greatly appreciate you and your dogs support and are happy that they have loved CANIDAE for 15+ years.

Any questions please contact us at 800-398-1600 ext 0 or support@canidae.com

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I have a Labrador, a Chihuahua and a mixed breed and they are raised on Canidae. It is important for me to feed them natural ingredients. I would recommend Canidae to my friends.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you! We appreciate you and your dogs support and thank you for your rating and review. Any questions please contact us at 800-398-1600 ext 0 or support@canidae.com Thanks again!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I had my dogs eat Canidae for about two years. I had an extra-large English Mastiff and a black Lab at that time and Canidae was the biggest bag for the cheapest price with decent ingredients. But we got rid of one dog and my English Mastiff needed better ingredients from Canidae because of the allergies and he continued to break out. So we went with a different brand. But Canidae was great. There was nothing wrong with them. We just needed to adjust with the transition of another dog and the ingredients.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you for your support and for your review. We do have new formula available and we would love to help you find one that fits your dogs needs. Feel free to email us at support@canidae.com or call us at 1-800-398-1600 and we would be happy to help you find a formula. Thanks again!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I wanted better quality food for my dogs. I did my research and when I spoke to my vet, he told me that Canidae was excellent. Since then, I've been using Canidae for 11 years now and I've had an excellent experience with the brand. My hound mix had to be taken off it because he has Cushing's and they were afraid it was a food allergy. Still, my eight-year-old Golden Retriever has been on it ever since she was a pup and she has been doing beautifully on it. I highly recommend this brand.

Canidae Pet Foods response
Thank you for your many many years of support! We greatly appreciate you and your dogs and for taking the time to leave us your great review.

Any questions please contact us at 800-398-1600 ext 0 or support@canidae.com

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

First I would like to say that Canidae dog food is excellent. We have been feeding it to our 6 month old pup for two months with excellent results. I just want to be clear that my issue is not with the food. I was introduced to Canidae by Susan **, the Canidae in-store rep at Petco in Irvine, California. She has been very helpful with both dry and wet food suggestions and given me coupons as well. One of the reasons I like Canidae (besides the high quality product) is that they present as a family-run company that cares about its product, its customers, and its employees.

So today I was surprised to find out that all their store reps, including Susan, were laid off VIA EMAIL, WITH ONE WEEKS’ NOTICE. She said it was because Canidae is doing very well and feels it no longer needs in-store reps to promote its product. Fair enough, but if you’re doing so well, you should pass that along to your employees by letting them go IN PERSON, with a minimum two weeks’ notice. Given your reputation as being a company that cares, that would be the least you could do. Disappointed at your lack of compassion for your own employees. Hoping you’ll treat them more fairly as you continue to grow.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Your dog will love you. This dog food is the best. I was giving my dogs other top brand dog food. My dogs are very picky. Found Canidae all stages chicken and rice. My dogs love it. Thought I tried the rest but this is the best. Just try it you will see. Thank you guys at Canidae for making my dogs happy as well as myself lol.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thanks Tony! Thank you for your great review. We greatly appreciate you and your dogs support and we are so very happy that your dogs love it! Thanks again!

Canidae Pet Foods expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Canidae is a premium dog food company, offering a variety of flavors and types of food to dogs throughout the United States.

• Grain-free foods: If your dog has a grain allergy or you would prefer to give him a natural diet, you can purchase grain-free foods here.

• Fresh meat and vegetables: These foods contain a blend of meat and vegetables providing your dog with optimal health.

• Made for pets in all stages of life: From puppy to senior, you'll be able to provide your dog with the nutrition he needs.

• Variety of flavors: Canidae offers unique flavors such as duck and bison as well as standard sources of protein like chicken or lamb.

• Quality control measures: All products go through rigorous quality control assessments such as testing ingredients before using them, testing the quality throughout the food preparation process and doing safety checks prior to releasing the food for sale.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Canidae Pet Foods Company Information