Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Hi Scott,

Thank you so much for your review! We love to hear you have been apart of our family for 8 years!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2014

I have had my 3 dogs on Canidae dog food for 8 years now and I could not be happier with the food. I use to feed a food that I was told was very good and all my dogs were at the vet every couple months with scratching and sometimes hot spots. When I went to a dog event, I was talking with a retail store that had a booth and they mentioned some ingredient issues that may be causing the issues I was see with my dogs. They gave me samples and I didn't think much about it until my next costly vet visit. I switched foods and 2 dogs did get very loose stools but the store recommended to try some pumpkin. It worked great and they got over the loose stools in a couple of weeks. Now I do a vet visit every couple of years and everything is going great. I am sure my vet misses the visits but I do not. I recommend this food all the time and I have not had anyone complain after they switch. If they notice a loose stool I tell them to try pumpkin and it seems to work well.

I've been buying Canidae for a couple of months to feed both my dogs and two cats. I asked what decent food that's got a fairly high protein content and Canidae is doing alright. It keeps my cats and dogs alive. And the cats eat it and relish it as much as the dog does.

Would just love to let people know all 5 of my dogs are on Canidae and Luna is now 15 years old... From a puppy we have fed him Canidae and Solana is now 11 and Desiree our rescue is eight and has been on it for 7 years and our new two rescues love it too... There are so many dog foods out there and I will never buy from any Asian (dog eating country's) products and that goes for treats... also and toys... Our dogs are worth quality from these countries, Canada, America, Europe so keep those standards high...

When our dog was still a baby, he had diarrhea which was a problem for us. It turned out he was allergic to chicken, so we found the Life Stages Canidae Lamb and Rice. It didn’t make him sick and he loves it. He doesn't leave one piece of kibble. We've been feeding him with Canidae for almost nine years now.

I have been using Canidae for my pets for 20 years. It helps with the coat. My dogs had dry spots and hotspots. I had one with each, so Canidae took care of that. I've always liked Canidae. It's been good for me. Plus, the one I have right now tastes better than the previous variant I use. People ask me, "What do you recommend?" I usually put Canidae at number one. Before, you had to go to certain places to get them. The stores I went to closed at 5:00 and I had to get off work at 5:00, so I have to really make sure I got it on a weekend and that I don't run out, but I don't mind. I had another place I could go to that closes at 7:00 but it was kind of a drive. However, Petco now sells it, so availability is getting a lot easier.

I've been buying Canidae pet food for several years. I have 2 dogs and my male dog is about 4 years old and has stomach problems. The other one is a 10-year-old female Lab mix Border Collie and I feed both of them the same. We tried different things and the Canidae Pure seemed to work with the dog's stomach. Canidae is a good dog food and contributes overall to the dogs' health and well-being.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Canidae Pet Foods?

Canidae was recommended by the pet store I went to. We've been using it since Nutro stopped making their Lamb and Rice dog food, which I used to buy. Buying a 30-pound bag every two weeks can get expensive. Canidae should put it back to the 40-pound bag for the same price.

We adopted our dog, Max, in Feb. 2016. He's a small Jackhuahua. The day we adopted him we were unsure of which food to put him on. In the shelter they started giving him Merrick so we decided to try it, although he was only in there for 1.5 days before we got him. Max didn't seem to care that much for the food. He also had some issues with Lyme vaccine & was constantly scratching, licking etc. Therefore our vet had put him on a prescription diet, Hill's hypoallergenic food. Again, he barely ate bit when we made ground beef with rice. He would scarf it up. Months passed & we were still on Hill's. We stumbled across someone whom suggested we try Canidae grain free PURE line instead of Blue Buffalo as we were contemplating which would be better overall for our little guy. We gave the Canidae a try. We purchased the one with bison just because it seemed like it'd be a tastier meal for him.

Upon the first try of giving it to him, he literally cleaned his dish! He enjoyed every little morsel. As of my writing this he has been on the Canidae for about 7.5 months. We have yet to try the duck, salmon, lamb & wild boar ones but the salmon is on our list to purchase next and try to switch the flavors/proteins up. We originally wanted the wild boar but our stores that sold Canidae did not have it in stock. A small bag goes a long way with him because he is 8 lbs. Also, he has less poop which has firmed up more, and not too smelly. It also does not have corn, soy or wheat in it but does have vitamins & minerals added. Max also isn't shedding as much and has actually had hair growing in certain spots that were practically bald.

Overall, I highly recommend the Canidae Grain Free PURE line (any flavor!) I am very happy we gave it a try as I'm sure our Max would say the same. It is a bit more costly but overall the benefits are so good for your furbaby plus they don't need that much of it - depending on the size of your pet too of course. One other thing I've noticed, which was one thing I did check out before purchasing was if there were any recalls etc and there were none and have been none since we've been using It. I believe the last recall we've seen was from early 2012 or 2013 and was voluntary. Give it a try! If your furbaby doesn't like it or you notice it's not the thing for him/her, depending on where you purchase it, you can return & either get refund or exchange it. I've purchased mine at our local Petco since PetSmart doesn't carry it.

We chose Canidae when we had an older dog that needed a good bland diet which was a diet that was chicken and rice and not a lot of proteins or anything else. He passed away, though, but in the meantime, our other dogs have gotten used to Canidae. We rescue dogs and we have 11 of them. We’ve been using Canidae for our pets for two years now. It's extremely valuable that we feed them natural ingredients and I mix Canidae in with dry food which they like. We haven't had any problem at all. We had another older dog who is still alive, a Mastiff, who started dealing with some thyroid issues. I give her Canidae in addition to her Kibble and I try to keep her on that. I continue to buy Canidae for her.

It’s been a good experience overall. However, Canidae has gotten a little expensive for us so I haven't been able to buy as much of it. I would buy 10 of it at a time then I would save those little tags on the top. If I could get a good deal, I’d be happy. I love the food, but we have to reserve it for the dogs that really need it. Otherwise, I’d recommend Canidae. It's healthy, beneficial, and easy.

I did a ton of research and found Dog Food Advisor online, a website almost exclusively about dog food, and Canidae was highly rated there. One of the requirements I wanted was a large breed puppy food, because I have a brother and sister Standard Poodle, and Canidae had it. I wanted puppy food because it's more formulated for them when they're young. And then when it's time to switch, I just stuck with Canidae and went to adult food. I've used them for two years and three months now. I fed my previous dog with cheap stuff and whatever Costco had, but I'm getting better results with Canidae. So I recommend it. In fact, I have recommended it to people.

My cats love Canidae and it’s good for them. I have eight cats and I've been feeding them Canidae for 10 years. I go for the label sometimes, but I don’t care about the nutrition of it. I like what’s good and that’s it. Food is food. But I’m glad Canidae makes pet food and I’m glad I have the means to get it for my cats because they like it. I think that’s the best thing for them.

The quality and the things I had heard and read about Canidae Pet Foods made me choose them. But, I had a cat that had a stomach issue and it just didn't agree. However, it was more individual to the cat than the food itself.

One of the breeders that I got my dogs from suggested Canidae and she's been using it for a few years. I started using it and have been for about nine years, and I'm pretty satisfied with it. I'm a loyal customer and it's been good so far. I hope they make the price a little cheaper but I haven't had any problems. It's a good experience.

I was purchasing Blue Buffalo but the guy where I get pet food talked to me about them not using the right ingredients, so I decided to try Canidae. I care about my dogs’ health a lot and I look at them not as dogs but as family. I purchased the Life Stages because it comes in a 44-pound bag instead of a 30-pound bag. I got three dogs--two Boxers, one of them just turned one and then a four-year-old, and then a Bully that's four years old too. My dogs accepted Canidae well and since then, I kept that food. My dogs love it. I see that it keeps their coat pretty shiny. It’s also balanced so they don’t get too overweight even if I feed them twice a day. My dogs are also active and they’re not limpy when we take them for walking every weekend.

I worked with a rescue who uses Canidae. Prior to that, I had done my research to find a company that gives good dog food rather than dog food that got a bunch of fillers and crap in it. I heard that Canidae doesn’t get part of their ingredients elsewhere, that it has its own facility. So we’ve been using it for a couple of years now for both of my dogs, and they seem to really love it. We are using the Grain Free currently. My dogs are very picky, so they get fed better than most, and I’m proud of that. I’d love to see more variety as far as the types of Grain Free that they have, because my dogs are divas, and get tired of the same food. But other than that, we’re very happy. It’s a little bit more expensive, but our dogs are worth it.

I've been purchasing Canidae for years. However, I quit them for three months when I just grabbed some Iams at the grocery store because I was running out of food and we were going out of town. It was the worst mistake I’ve ever made. My dogs had diarrhea and they sunk. I have Labradoodles and their coat wasn’t as good. I’m back to Canidae now and I love it. I can get them groomed and they smell good for a whole month. I’ll never stop feeding them that. I hope there are more places to buy it.

I’ve been giving my pets Canidae Food for probably three to four years. They’re good-quality food and for every 10 bags, I get a free one. I've got two cats, a little six-pound Manx cat and an 18-pound monster cat. We've lost two cats in the last year, but we did have four. But they seem to do well on that food. It’s a good thing to feed your pets with natural ingredients and I've always tried to feed my cats the best food that I could. I think they have a nicer coat with it. They also haven't had any digestive issues or anything like that. They seem to tolerate it well and like it. We got Life Stages because it’s just easier to feed them all one thing. It also saves me space in the pantry. I also mix Science Diet Oral Care with Canidae because it really makes a difference with my cat's teeth. We haven't had to have their teeth cleaned and they're both over 10 years old.

I have been purchasing Canidae Food for six years this year. It was recommended to me by my ex-boyfriend's roommate and both his dogs had gluten intolerance. So, we bought the Lamb and Rice Formula for Gunner, our 12 year old German Shepherd. As far as stomach issues and coat health, it's really been beneficial to us. Feeding Gunner with all-natural ingredients is invaluable. We try to do as much all-natural and organic stuff as we can. He’s a happy dog and really healthy as long as I stick to the dog food. It’s awesome.

My vet recommended Canidae as a replacement for California Natural because they ran into some kind of problem. Then, we started and stayed on it for 6 years. Unfortunately, the West Highland White Terrier died last November at 14 years old. She was a spayed female dog and was just sweet and wonderful. She was very healthy and happy on the food. It was perfect for her and we didn't feed her any other food. She had one Milk-bone dog biscuit and she only gets a couple of biscuits a day. But aside from that, she thrived on the dog food. We never gave her scraps. It was an excellent experience with Canidae. I don't think her death had anything to do with her dog food and she always loved it.

We have a Shar-Pei and they're really picky. So, feeding it with a pet food made of natural ingredients is a lot valuable. I've been purchasing Canidae for three years because they have a lamb and rice formula. Eating it contributes 100% to my pet's health and well-being. I would recommend Canidae.

Feeding dogs natural ingredients is very valuable since dogs live longer. I have a five-year-old pit bull and Canidae is one of the best foods for pit bulls.

I've been purchasing and using Canidae for about five years now and it's a big thing that it has meats and vegetables and that it's grain-free. Our two dogs, a Border Terrier mix and an English Setter are healthy boys and they love Canidae.

I have a Rottweiler Lab and he's a big dude. My dog is allergic to pretty much everything - chicken, beef, grain and that's annoying. He would get so itchy and scratch himself to where he would bleed. I took him to the vet and we tried pollen allergies and different medicines but nothing really did it. Then the vet recommended changing the food and that did the trick. Canidae was one of the only ones that I could find that was still affordable and gave me other options. I have been purchasing it for about four years. When we received the free bag after so long, it really helped out, too. He does really well on it. He still has some seasonal allergies, but it's definitely not like it was.

I went to the pet store and asked what they suggested and they said Canidae was a good brand so I started using it. I bought it for my dog for three years and as far as I know, she loved it. But she got old on me and passed away about a month ago. When I walked her and picked up her poop, it always had good consistency. I never had to worry about diarrhea so the natural or the good ingredients of Canidae helped. I used to buy Iams from Wal-Mart and I decided with the German Shepherd that I got that I was going to try to feed her something better, but that came later in my life. I had her the longest of any of the dogs I've had and I don't know if it's anything to do with the food.

I liked Canidae and I loved the coupon. I collected them and did the green envelope thing so that I could get my free bag and my free case whenever I could. Also, I gave what I had to my grand dog and they took it home. They have Weimaraner and he eats it. I got her using it because I had nine coupons and I can get a free bag so I told her I would get it for her.

I’ve been feeding my dogs Canidae Pet Food for probably six months or so. I wanted to try something and I like that Canidae uses mostly natural ingredients and they seem to really care about what they put in the food. We wouldn't eat toxic food, so I don't want my dogs to eat toxic food as well. Their overall health is probably much better with Canidae and I want them to have a long and happy life. One of my dogs is a big old Siberian Husky and the other one is a Golden Retriever. They are pretty sensitive and they tend to be allergic to beef that’s why I purchased PURE. However, I do kind of off and on because of the price. If I'm feeling pretty good that month, I'll go and get some Canidae.

The lady I bought my $2,000 Doberman from sent with him Canidae Pet Foods and that’s what I've used since July 2010. My Doberman is perfectly fine and he stays right in his weight zone. I purchased a lab three years ago that we put on it and he's also doing well. But I was bummed when they discontinued one of the recipes. I also like their rebate program where I save 12 tags, turn them in and I get a free bag.

The vet recommended that we put our dog on the Platinum Canidae canned dog food, so we've been using it for a long time. Our dog has been on it for years and years. It's very valuable to feed her with natural ingredients. Canidae food helped her health, as otherwise I wouldn't feed her with it. I'm fine with the food, but at times we've had stretches where it's not been available, where the factory had been making other foods and we couldn't get the Platinum. So, at such times, I ended up giving our dog the regular Canidae rather than the Platinum cans.

I have a blue Great Dane, which is a rare breed of Great Danes, and they need a specific diet. And after all my research, Canidae seemed to be the best option both for my Dane and for my Lab. The Life Stages was the one that was recommended to me over the others simply because one of my dogs eats so quickly. With the smaller nibbles, they eat slower. With Canidae, my dogs' coats and activity levels are phenomenal. They're beautiful dogs since I switched over to Canidae. It's good stuff. I have recommended several friends to Canidae.

Canidae is the only food that our dog doesn’t throw up on. Our dog is 11 years old, and we've been purchasing it for 9 years now. Initially, the veterinarian said we couldn’t just get a lot of the filler stuff, so we had to have something with a little more body to it, and she doesn’t need to eat as much of it. That's why we went with Canidae. Our dog is a Border Collie, and she's got a soft stomach.

We used to use Natural Selection, but my older dog started reacting to meat and my younger dog is allergic to meat, grain and all kinds of stuff. The younger dog's belly would get hives and her eyes would be all red. However, we heard that fish, grain-free food was good for dogs with allergies. And so, we decided to purchase Canidae. We find feeding our pet natural ingredients to be really valuable. Since switching her food to Canidae, we haven't had those problems. Everything has been great and beneficial, and I tell everybody about Canidae.

We started our Weimaraner dog on Canidae's Puppy formula and now she's on All Stages. So we've been purchasing Canidae food for almost 3 years now. It keeps her coat nice and shiny, and she doesn't lose hair. It also keeps her weight maintained. The price is good, although I wish that they did more of a grain-free because she is a hunting breed and I'd like something with a little bit more protein. But still, we've been happy with it. I like the program that we are offered in our local feed supply store wherein we get so many and then get one for free. That's a wonderful program. I feel that, as a company, they care about their customers which is nice to see. Overall, we've been pleased with the purchase and we'll continue to use it.

Canidae Pet Foods Company Profile