Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Canidae Pet Foods

Thank you for your review! We're very happy to hear that your Staffy is doing well on Pure Meadow.

Original review: June 13, 2017

I started feeding my 8yr old Staffy Canidae, Pure Meadow Senior, grain free 5 months ago. His coat looks great nice & shiny, he acts like a pup again & loves his Canidae kibble. Canidae is real easy to digest & is lower in fat - 10.08% what is needed as they get older. He is doing really well on this formula.

I’ve bred Blue Nose American Pit Bull Terriers for 20 years and in the beginning, I watched dogs get sick and it being food-related was a real issue. When we started to go into natural or holistic food, we noticed a huge difference. I've fed a lot of different foods over a long time and Canidae is one of the better ones. I've been purchasing Canidae Life Stages for six years. Our dogs used to have skin allergies but ever since we gave them Canidae, they've never had any problems, whether allergies or irregular stools. They go to the bathroom regularly and it doesn't keep them fat. They also like it a lot and Canidae works better for a multifamily house that has multiple dogs of different ages.

My dog was on Canidae Pet Foods for a couple of years. A friend recommended it because they had used it for their dog. Our dog seemed to do well on it and then we decided to try something else because she had some significant skin rashes. It hasn't resolved itself yet so we may end up going back to Canidae. Aside from the skin rashes, which may or may not have come from the food, it was a good product. We also liked that it had essential oils in it and our dog really enjoyed it.

Hi Violet,

Thank you for your support and for your great review! We are happy your dogs are loving their PURE Resolve. Thanks again!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

One of our 3 dogs has severe allergies. We had them all on Under the Sun, which they did fine on but they just didn't seem crazy about it. We put them on the Canidae Grain Free Weight Management and they just love it! 2 of our dogs also had anal gland problems occasionally and since we have had them on the Canidae that seems to have gone away as well! Love This Food!!

Hi Joyce,

Thank you for your wonderful review and for your support.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I have a 10-year-old Border Collie and he likes everything. Some people can’t switch their foods if their dogs have sensitive stomachs but he’s not like that. He can eat any good food, but he’s always enjoyed the Canidae. But I purchase Canidae off and on. I work for Petco and we consider Canidae a premium food. They had one particular formula marked down and I had a coupon for it so I bought a bag of Canidae Pure Senior Formula last night and my dog loves it. Feeding him natural ingredients is valuable but I consider them too expensive. Other than that, it's a very enjoyable experience overall.

Hi Colleen,

Thank you for your great review! We are so pleased to hear how your dog has gotten more agile with CANIDAE. Thank you again!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I think highly of Canidae and I have massive experience with it. I’ve been using it intermittently for 40 years. I chose it because of its reputation. I have a dog and four inside-outside cats and they’re Shorthairs. My dog is a cross between Australian Shepherd and Australian Cattle Dog. I started feeding Canidae to my dog when he was having a problem with his hips because he’s older, he’s 13, and he seems to have gotten better and more agile. I think it’s very valuable to feed him natural pet ingredients.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Canidae Pet Foods?

Resolution In Progress

Hi Laurie,

Thank you for your review. We are sorry the UNDER THE SUN formula did not work for your dog. We have many other formulas available and I am more than happy to work with you to find a formula that works for your dog. I will contact you to assist you on this. Thank you!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I was trying to find a better dog food for my pet. She has sensitivities, allergies, and all kinds of issues. Canidae Under The Sun was recommended to me by other people who have dogs with problems, but it ended up making her worse. She lost her entire hair coat. She chewed big sores on her legs and her feet and then she got ear infections. We ended up going on a raw diet and everything cleared up. Canidae didn’t live up to the hype but that doesn’t mean it wouldn’t work for somebody else.

I have been purchasing Canidae for six years. My kids both work at pet stores and they said Canidae is among the good ones. We’ve also done some homework on Canidae and for me, feeding my pet natural ingredients is pretty valuable. I buy the Life Stages variant because my dogs have various ages. With this brand, my two golden retrievers don’t stink, which is a big thing. We noticed that right away after we switched over from what we were feeding our dogs before. Canidae has been helpful too. There was a point where my husband and I were both not working for a while, and I called them to tell them that I didn’t want to stop buying Canidae. What they did is they sent me some coupons. I have recommended Canidae to my friends.

Hi Collin,

Thank you for your many years of support and for taking the time to give your review. We are very glad you are happy with our products. Thanks again!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

Canidae has a high-quality ingredient and I have been using this for my 2 pets(German Shepherd and a Bulldog) for four years now. I'm using the ALS. I liked it because it was something I could begin them on and that it had more protein sources so it's more balanced. That was basically the long and the short. I did it with something that I could stick with. It's readily available and the cost is reasonable for the quality of the products. So, there's a lot of pros to go on that particular one. Also, feeding my pets with natural ingredients is very high on my priority list.

I've read an article that they've acquired a farm in Kansas and they're going to be doing a lot of procuring their ingredients and bringing that in-house. I think that's very cool. I wish Canidae all the best on that. And I'd say continue sourcing high-grade quality products. Whoever is supplying them their products, they're doing a good job.

Hi Jessica,

Thank you for taking the time to give a review. We appreciate you and your Great Dane!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

My dog was on Under The Sun for at least a year. I chose Under The Sun over other pet food because they had a grain free brand and the price was better. I had a Great Dane so I went a zero bag of food in less than two weeks. I felt the quality was better than the stuff I was using before and feeding my pet with natural ingredients is very valuable. I had no issues with it. I had a very hard time with my dog and what she was allergic to. So that was one brand that I found that was decently priced and worked.

Hi Jennifer,

That is wonderful that the UNDER THE SUN has worked so well for her. Thank you for your wonderful review!

I also sent you a message as well.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I had tried various different brands over the last five years and every six months, my Weimaraner Pitbull mix would develop an allergy to something in every one of them and she’d get sick, and I had to find a new brand that didn’t make her sick that she liked. So, I switched to Canidae Under The Sun just by chance because it was grain free. My husband settled on all kinds of crap when she was a puppy, so she’s got serious liver issues. She has to have a grain-free food. My dog has been using Canidae for twice as long as she was using the other one before she developed an allergy. It’s been two years that I’ve been using this particular brand flavor and she hasn’t gotten sick from it. So, so far so good. I’m really happy with that because it’s kind of hard trying to have to find a new brand, a new flavor that she likes that doesn’t make her sick. I’m absolutely satisfied with Canidae.

However, I was kind of hoping that Canidae has another supplier besides Petco because I’m disgusted with them right now. Last time I went in to buy my regular-size bag, they raised the price exponentially on that one flavor and that one size. I'm sure I was the only buying that particular flavor there because I noticed that their stock wasn’t really diminishing any from time to time when I’d come in and purchase. I’m going to find another store and see if they indeed rose the price in other stores too or if it was just special for me.

Also, I had a problem with the wet food. I was mixing her dry food and wet food for a while, but I had to quit using the wet food because about three out of five cans were not good. They were like gray and pasty and smell bad. I was going to take them back, but I never ended up to get them back because I forget to bring the open can with me when I go back to the store. So, I’d buy another one. I finally just quit buying them because I don’t know if it was the manufacturer problem or if it was their stock not being rotated.

Resolution In Progress

Hi April,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our UNDER THE SUN. I'm not sure when you tried it but UNDER THE SUN is now POTATO FREE! Please contact us at support@canidaesupport.com or 1-800-398-1600 ext 0 if you are interested in trying it or another formula again. Thank you!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I was trying different pet food to find what works best for my pets and what has the best ingredients. The Under the Sun Canidae product was on sale then so I tried it. But I had to discontinue using it because I just found out that it didn't have the right ingredients for what I was looking for such as a grain-free, not stuffed with potatoes because it’s not a grain or peas, even though they say they are. I’m also looking for a reasonable price but some of the foods are very expensive for what you get.

Hi David,

Thank you for your review. We are glad your pets are nice and shiny and enjoy the natural ingredients.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Canidae is a nice pet food and I have been feeding it to my pet for two months now. The Under The Sun brand is a more natural food. It has natural ingredients in it. This brand is better for my pet’s body and the coat is really shiny.

Hi Penny,

Thank you for your great review on CANIDAE ALS. We really appreciate you taking the time to write in with your experience. Your dogs sound so cute and that is so sweet how he lays his head on the container too:) Thanks again!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

I've been purchasing Canidae pet food for two years for my 3 dogs. I have a Brittany bird dog and a dog named Rascal that are dog 10 years old and another one that's 4 years old. I've tried lots of dog foods over the years and I don't have to ever put the food down with Canidae. My pets go right to it. They always want to eat it and when I come home with a bigger bag, they go near the bag and have a sniff. And if I forget to feed them in the evening, the big bird dog sits over, with his head on the big plastic container of the pet food. I purchase the Life Stages since it's a bigger bag and I get more for my money. The smaller dogs get half a cup of the pet food while the bigger dog gets a cup, twice a day, and they're well-fed. The bag will last me two months. A lot of people say that it’s expensive but I disagree. My pets love Canidae and I’ve recommended it many times.

Hi Ennis,

Thank you for your great review! We are so glad to hear how happy you were with it and that your Great Dane perked up and got great results. Thanks again!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I used Canidae for my pet, a Great Dane, for about a year and a half but I don't use it anymore because we don't have that pet. I liked that the one I was buying was all natural and didn't use a lot of fillers. It uses most of the protein base like fish and the first ingredient wasn't grain. I was using another brand before and when I switched to Canidae, my pet perked right up and I was getting good results out of it. She was having problems with her joint then and the vet and I noticed that she was able to get around at it after the switch. She didn't have any allergies with that food and her bowel was even better. Overall, Canidae is a great product that’s good for your pet's health and I really liked it.

Hi Sammy,

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are so glad to hear how well your Boxer-pit and Chihuahua do with their CANIDAE. Thank you for your support and for recommending CANIDAE to your customers. We appreciate you and your support.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I've been with Canidae for approximately four years now and my dogs love it. I have a Boxer-Pitbull mix and I feed him Canidae Pure. His name is Dash and he's 85 pounds. He's five and a half years old now and not super active. I also have a Chihuahua and I just started using the small batch for her. I chose the Pure ones because I like that it was simple. The Boxer-Pitbull has a really sensitive stomach and the Canidae Pure is a limited ingredient diet that my dogs love ever since I first started. I work for the factory and Canidae was exclusively for us. So it makes it easier for me to sell Canidae to other customers and have them continue coming back. Once I let them know that my dogs loved it, I just kept going on with it and pushing it.

One thing I really love about the Canidae is that I don't have to feed my Boxer-Pitbull so much of it because it is a limited ingredient and its filling doesn't have all the junk that most dog foods have. I like the quality I'm getting out of Canidae and all the bag of dog food lasts a good amount of time. Also, feeding my pets natural ingredients is very valuable. They eat better, live longer and their health seems better when they eat better food. My mother-in-law doesn't feed Canidae to her dog, who's overweight. Her dog came from the same litter, but my dog looks cleaner and healthier. She doesn't want to spend for the Canidae dog food but I told her that it's worth it. It's a great product and has great results. I'm going to continue trying to sell it.

Hi Cody,

Thank you for your great review and thank you for your recommendations. We are very happy your Akita is doing well with her CANIDAE !

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

We were doing Taste of the Wild but we switched around. The Canidae reps were showing a newer and little less expensive type of dog food called Under The Sun and it was one of the ones we tried. Then we went to the Pure when it came out with more new flavors. Our pet is a 120 lbs. eight-year-old Akita and she's never had any canned or veterinary issues. We've always fed her very healthy food. I tell people all the time about Canidae. Their coupons are also good when we get them.

Canidae Pet Foods

We are so glad you are a loyal CANIDAE customer. Besides being sold at quality independent retailers we are also sold online. You might want to check out the CANIDAE website to either find stores in your area or online sources. We are glad you are taking advantage of the Frequent Buyer Program too.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

I do mostly rescues and my daughter works for a vet, and we work mostly with whatever is there. I have a Pitbull rescue that was an abandoned puppy. I also have a Chihuahua rescue and a Chihuahua mix rescue. I have a puppy that is a year and a half old and she's been on Canidae her whole entire time. My daughter has a dog that's now eight and he's been on Canidae too since he was a puppy. We looked it up on the internet and that was the number one dog food so that's what we get and we've been using it for eight years now. I wish though that it was in the grocery store because I literally have to go one city over to buy it. They're a little bit expensive but I still pay it and it's the cheapest around town. My dogs have been on it forever.

Canidae changed how to get into the bag. I had a little bit of difficulty just tying it up but now it's fantastic. It’s not a ripoff lid anymore. Now you got to turn around and the way you open it is different. I also like the coupons at the back where you get 12 coupons and get one bag for free. Overall, Canidae is fantastic and I recommend it to everybody. I used to buy crappy pet food at the grocery stores a long time ago but since I have Canidae, my pets look healthy and their coats look healthy as well. I just wish it gets rid of my Pitbull's anxiety issues because that's what I get with the rescues but that's okay. We'll get through it. Other than that, my dogs are beautiful and we love Canidae Pet Foods.

Canidae Pet Foods

Thank you so much for telling your story about CANIDAE and how well your dogs love it. We are Pet Food for Pet People and we can tell you love your dogs like family.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

For eight years, I've been purchasing Canidae for my dogs. I have a year and a half old Doberman, an eight and a half years old Lab mix and another Lab mix that’s 14 and a half years old. I give them Life Stages because that’s the one that goes from the puppies to the older dogs. It was recommended by my vet and said that it's a good one. The pet store I went to also said that it's the best ones they sell. When the dogs are hungry, they chew it down quick. They don't throw up after eating. The dog's coats and teeth look good so I keep feeding Canidae.

The dogs have a lot of energy with it but they’re not fat. They stay looking nice and healthy. I can feel that their muscles are nice and strong. They also always look like they’re happy. Unlike the other dog food I used to feed them before, they’d either throw it up or just have a bad experience. I'm not feeding them any garbage from China and I found out that other name brands had a mixture in it that dogs don’t digest.

I’ve been feeding my dogs since I was a teenager. I’m in my 50’s now, so I’ve gone through good and bad experiences. And Canidae is about the only good one. I’ve always recommended it to all my friends and family members. My dogs are here as my pets. They’re not here for me to feed them crap. Overall, Canidae is a great food and hopefully it helps the dogs live longer a happy and healthier life.

Hi Patty,

Thank you for taking the time to write in with your review. We are so happy that CANIDAE has done so well for you and all your dogs and so glad to hear your Chihuahua benefitted so good from CANIDAE and glad even your picky one liked it too. We appreciate you and your support.Thanks again!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I've been purchasing Canidae Life Stages for about 4 years now. I read about it having a lot of Omega-3, so I gave it to my pets. I had a lot of dogs here at my house at the time. I have two right now. I have a Pomeranian and the long-haired Chihuahua, which had really dry skin. The Chihuahua was the one that benefited from the Canidae pet food. Feeding my pets natural ingredients is really good to keep their weight down. They're both older dogs so it's important. They've always eaten really well. I had a little picky dog and she even liked Canidae, so it's good. I like it and I'll keep buying it. Overall, Canidae is a great dog food and company.

Hi Dustee,

Thank you for your wonderful review! Yes, the Big 44# bag is great for homes with multiple dogs and with 15 dogs you sure can attest to that. We really appreciate your support!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

We rescue a lot of animals and sometimes we get them a home but 99% of the time they end up staying with us. So my whole family has 15 dogs total. My mom Googled from different brands that are supposed to be healthy and all around better and we chose Canidae. All of our dogs have been eating it for close to a year now and they haven't had any problems so it could be a huge breeding factor. We also get the big one and I like that I get a free bag after a certain amount. That's very helpful since we have so many dogs.

Canidae Pet Foods

We are so sorry you found this in one of our products. We see you have contacted us at CANIDAE support and we appreciate you providing us photos of what you found. We have forwarded those photos to our Quality Control Team for review. Again let us say how sorry we are and we want to remind you that we do have a 100% satisfaction guarantee and we are willing to replace the product or arrange for a refund. Please contact us at 800-398-1600 x 0.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I have been feeding this food (canned & dry) to my dogs for a very long time. Today after feeding my eldest dog 2 table spoons of canned food I noticed BLUE PLASTIC as I was about to scoop the 3rd! I have no idea what may have been in the first 2 spoonfuls and I am PISSED! Screw you Canidae and your lack of care for our family members!

Canidae Pet Foods

We are so glad your dogs love the 44lb Big Bag of the CANIDAE All Life Stages. Thank you for taking the time to let everyone else know too.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

We’ve had up to four large dogs at one time but right now we have two, a Belgian Shepherd and a Pit-bull mix. We had dogs of various ages and they're each about five years apart. I've been buying Canidae Life Stages for a couple of years now. At that particular store, there is a buy eight, get one free reward program and that's why I buy Canidae. It's pretty expensive though. We get the "Big Bag" and it's like 60 pounds. It's huge but that lasted as little as two weeks when we had all four and now it would last just over a month. But it's a quality product and the dogs stayed healthy for a long time.

Hi James,

Thank you for your support and for your wonderful review. We are very happy Tank and Riley are doing so well with their CANIDAE.

Beth

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I’ve been buying Canidae for my three labs for nine months. Tank is a white Lab that’s a year and five months old, Riley is a year-old chocolate lab and Dowagers is five months old. I bought Life Stages because it had the grain-free and I’m big about trying to stay off grain. It’s very good and they do very well on it. We’ve had no problems and it was a great experience.

Canidae Pet Foods

Thank so much for choosing CANIDAE for your pet family. We really appreciate you taking the time to contact us and letting us know how happy you are with CANIDAE products.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I’ve been purchasing Canidae for about five years now. After doing my research, I find them to have higher quality than other brands. I have five dogs so I go for the bigger bag. It’s very important to me that I’m feeding them natural ingredients.

Canidae Pet Foods

We are so happy you have chosen CANIDAE Pet Foods for your pet family.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

There was the big scare several years ago on dog food. There’s a disease linked in the local Purina so we went to the holistic food, Canidae. And my experience has been fine. We have several pets and we’ve been feeding them Canidae over the years. Most of them are Dalmatians and Labradors, 10 to 12 of them over the few years.

We’re paying the extra money so we could feed our pet natural ingredients. We give them Life Stages. Though the Lamb and Rice is a good food, it gives them gas and we can’t live in the house after that. But when we switched initially, I found out that we fed them less. We started out feeding them the same amount but they started getting really fat. And so, I started feeding them less which made less of a mess in the backyard and they’ve just done real well on it. And I’ve compared the money feeding them the Purina and the mass produced stuff versus the Canidae. And since I’m feeding them less, the dollars actually work out about the same.

However, the loyalty program sucks. I live in a very small town and I used to buy my food in Las Vegas just because that’s the only place where we could get it. Then my local store got a couple of bags as a trial. I talked to them and got them to carry it regularly. So they applied for the loyalty program so that I could do the 12-Bag Get 1 free. I did that for a couple bags and then finally, the guy came up to me and said, “Hey, we have yet to receive any credits for any of these that we’ve sent in and so, we can’t do the Loyalty until we start getting some payment for this outlet.” And you can’t blame him one bit. So, until that issue is resolved, I end up not getting the benefit of the loyalty program which increases my cost 10%. But Canidae is good food and I’ve already recommended them.

Canidae Pet Foods

We love your story on how you chose CANIDAE. Your family is important to you and to us as well.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

My parents used to buy the dog food and we were using NutroMax which is not terrible and is cheaper for a bigger bag. But after I got a job I thought I could afford something better but still not too expensive. I worked at a pet store for a while and that's when I first got exposed to Canidae and I liked it then. It was the most affordable and still a good food. I got the Canidae All Life Stages for my dog and I noticed a little more energy from her since eating it. I'm satisfied with Canidae and we're gonna switch her to Canidae senior food soon.

Canidae Pet Foods

We are so glad your rescue dogs are doing so well on CANIDAE. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with everyone.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

We have two Border Collie mixes and they were rescues. We chose to give them Canidae because it's non-preservative. We've been giving them this pet food for ten years now. The Life Stages was the one recommended when we first got them but now that they're seniors, it’s a mix of a senior formula and the chicken and rice. The newest dog we adopted had some stomach issues so that’s what works. The reason I picked Canidae is that my mom had a dog and that dog had a horrible skin condition which was constantly like that. There were hot spots all over and constantly bleeding from scratching itself so bad and they ended up having to put the dog to sleep. That dog got tons of cortisone shots. So when we were going to get our first dog, I researched and realized my mom's dog's condition was probably from all the crap in the dog food.

Canidae seems to have worked and my dogs had no issues. The latest rescue has terrible issues because he was never been in a home. He was in a kill shelter and was being fed with that disgusting Pedigree. He was eating six cups a day. We're supposed to give the new dog a pet food that's mix half and a half so he could get used to the Canidae. But the new dog took one sniff of the other dogs’ food and wouldn’t even touch his mixed food. Instead, he went straight to the Canidae and now he only eats three cups a day of the Canidae. We’re completely satisfied with the dogs’ health and nutrition and we'll recommend Canidae.

Canidae Pet Foods

When CANIDAE formulated the All Life Stages we had pet families like yours in mind with multiple pets and ages. We are so glad the ALS is the perfect choice for your pet family.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I have a five year old German Shepherd, which is about 90 pounds, and then a six year old Labrador, which is approximately 50 pounds. When I went to the vet, my dog was experiencing stomach issues with the regular dog food that was out there on the market. The vet then recommended Canidae out in Mountain Valley, California and so I went there. I love it because it has been recommended and I've been purchasing it for my pets for three years now. I feed my dogs Life Stages because we ended up having Yorkies later on and they like the food. I also wanted to just purchase one dog food that would suffice for all the animals. Every time I serve it, they’re more than willing to eat it. There’s never tipping of the bowl like they didn’t like it.

Also, I take them in for their check-ups annually and there’s never been an issue, weight-wise or health-wise. I’ve tried the other major brands and they tend to tip the bowls over or they’ve gained weight. Both the German Shepherd and the Labrador had put on weight with the cheaper food and it wasn’t good for us. I’m a first pet owner, so feeding my pets natural ingredients is the most important on my list of priorities for my pets. Canidae is a great product and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Canidae Pet Foods

We are so happy you have chosen CANIDAE for your furry family members. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with everyone else. We really appreciate it.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I have two mutts. One of them is 14 and the other one is six. I have been purchasing Canidae Pet Foods for a couple of years and my pets seem to like it. I’ve had dogs with tumors and stuff and I was hoping to feed them with something a little bit better, maybe cut that down.

Hi Layton,

Thank you for your review. We are very happy your GSD's are doing so well with CANIDAE. We do not add supplemental glucosamine and chondroitin but rather rely on the amounts that naturally occur in our selection of premium ingredients. For example, our premium chicken protein is an excellent source of glucosamine and chondroitin.

We have chosen to guarantee a minimum level of glucosamine and chondroitin in our Large Breed adult formula.

We appreciate you and your dogs.

Thanks again!

Beth

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I've been purchasing Canidae for more than three years. It was carried locally and it had more of the ingredients that we're looking for. I've got three German Shepherds, one is eight, and two one-year-olds and we've got different Life Stages for dogs, from puppies all the way down to adult. The biggest teller I use is how little stool they have and the health of their coat. Also, German Shepherds have sensitive guts, but they have never been sick. It's been great for my dogs' health. But, the food doesn't have glucosamine chondroitin. There are other foods with it and we thought about switching, but Canidae has everything else that we need. So we just give them a supplement of glucosamine.

Canidae Pet Foods Company Profile