2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.49/5
Based on 1,321 ratings

CANIDAE is pet food made by pet people. We use the same ingredients we want for our own pets to make our foods. From working hard to form relationships with the farmers and ranchers that supply ingredients, to opening our own facility to cook the food—we’re dedicated to providing the best nutrition possible for the beloved dogs and cats that enrich our lives in so many ways. Sensitivities, picky dogs, multi-pet households, or healthy food on a budget, CANIDAE has your solution!

Canidae Pet Foods Shop on Chewy

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Canidae Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

I have been feeding Canidae to my dog for the past six years. I previously never had any problems with my dog eating this food. A few weeks ago I purchased a new bag of this food at Petco in Long Beach California. My dog is now not eating normally and is feeling lethargic. I noticed that the size of the food is smaller. Something is wrong with this product and needs to be investigated.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I have an 18 month old Cavalier King Charles. He was a finicky eater and we tried several brands of food for him. We added a small amount of Honest Kitchen to each type of food we purchased, but he was VERY fussy. I purchased a small bag of Canidae small breed raw coated grain free with lamb. He seemed to prefer Canidae to the other brands we tried. I bought this from Pet Smart # 1809, Queen Creek , AZ. This trial amount was bought in September of 2019. Baxter seemed to like the product. I bought a larger bag in October. I noticed a few green pieces in the food. But since it was a new brand I didn’t give it much thought. Baxter ate the contents without much prodding.

On November 22, 2019 I returned to Pet Smart and purchased 2 more of the larger bags. When my wife opened the first bag she noted to me that there were some green pieces of food in the bag. I told her that I thought that might be some of the freeze dried coating and we continued to feed it to our pet. Baxter seemed to be finicky again. We opened the second bag from the 11/22 purchase and dumped the remainder of bag #1 into it. This was about 5 days ago. Since then he has progressively refused to eat any of the food.

Today our daughter came for dinner and we consulted her about the problem. She trials 3 Australian Shepherds and feeds them Canidae. After seeing the bag of food she stated that it looked like mold in the food. Our dog won’t go near it. Maybe he is smarter than we are. I have attached pictures of the food, bag, etc. On one picture there appears to be some green matter on the bag. The food is green and when the bag is opened particles seem to float out into the air.!!!!

I am a bit upset that I have been slowly poisoning my dog with what I thought was premium dog food. And it has cost me over a hundred dollars for food that may have caused serious damage to my young dog. What to do now? I am contacting you first for some direction and concern. Are you interested in the nearly full bag of this product? Has this happened before? Do you have a problem? If I don’t hear from someone at Canidae in the next couple of days, I will go to social media to get answers.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

Loved this dog food, but for some reason the company "has made a business decision" to retire this product and switch the line to full Grain-FREE. Even after the FDA released the study advising people to avoid Grain-Free, again she stated that this was a "business decision". I've lost total confidence in this company, for putting its profits before my dog's safety. She did go to say that still carry one with grain, but it includes white rice and peas. NO Thanks! It was good while it lasted.

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for your support and reaching out to us. We will send this over for review and consideration.

Please let us know if we can be of any other assistance. Thank you!

Original review: July 17, 2019

It’s been eight or nine years since I've been purchasing Canidae. My dog seemed to like it and it was good. We were having some issues with his coat and stuff getting patchy, and Canidae was something they recommended to us. That’s definitely what helped him out with his coat.

Original review: July 15, 2019

Canidae was our choice for our dogs for at least 15 years. They were athletes, trim, energetic, and had beautiful coats. This past winter both our current dogs got sick, one with bloody stools and the other puking up his Canidae within minutes of eating it. The bag of food smelled rancid when that happened, but the problem continued with subsequent, better smelling bags. We had to feed them cottage cheese and rice to get them feeling better, then retried easing them onto the Lamb and Rice formula. They became sick again, and my Great Dane mix had to have a trip to the vet because he was refusing his food, trembling, and lethargic. Vet could find no disease in him. Switched off to a different food, and he went back to normal. I don't think his coat is as nice as it was on the OLD Canidae formula, but I'm not going to kill my dog for the sake of a shiny coat.

Canidae Pet Foods response

We are very sorry to hear that your dogs have not felt well and glad to hear they are doing better. We are committed to excellence and providing our customers' pet's with superior quality nutrition. We urge our customers to contact us anytime there is ever any questions or concerns. We value you and your dogs and thank you for your past 15 years of support and have sent you a private message to see if we can assist you with a different formula.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Canidae Pet Foods?

Original review: July 11, 2019

Our English Bulldog was on Blue Buffalo before for the puppy food and then we moved into Canidae. This is the only food that we use and we got it around six months into a year. We decided to go with the Life Stages as it was the only one available in the big bag. However, in the past six months, our dog's stomach has been upset and his flatulence has been up to a new level. We don’t know if his stomach is reacting to Canidae differently so we bought a different brand. But Canidae has been really good.

Original review: July 9, 2019

Canidae was recommended to me by the guy that I buy my dog food from. However, I’m thinking about changing because it’s rather expensive. I have four German shepherd dogs, so I go through a lot of food. I went with the pumpkin because my dogs came with upset stomachs, and I’ve been stuck with it. Overall I like their product and recommend it to quite a few other people. It’s good quality and it gives my dogs what they need. Their coats are shiny, their teeth are clean, they have lots of energy and they appear healthy and happy.

Original review: July 8, 2019

We have a mix breed dog, a good part Wheaten Terrier who is 16 years old and she’s not in great health right now. She’s having trouble but she has been on Canidae for so long and she has made it this far. It’s important that we feed her natural ingredients and we have been buying Canidae for about seven years.

Thanks Tom!

We appreciate your loyalty and send lots of healing energy to your Wheaten Terrier.

Your friends at CANIDAE.

Original review: July 4, 2019

I've been purchasing Canidae for about five years. They offer pet food for all ages. At the time I started using it, I had a senior pet and a puppy. They offered food for all of them and I didn’t have to keep buying separate foods. Also, it's very valuable to feed them natural ingredients. Canidae has really good customer service, as well. If I need coupons, they would send them for free. I also like the rewards program because I can get a free bag. I get one at least once a year.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I’ve been feeding my 5-year old Rottweiler Canidae since he’d been born. I did a little bit of research on it, and that’s what I came up with. I've been buying All Life Stages and I could stay right with that same product all the way.

Canidae Pet Foods Company Information