2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

3.9/5 (678 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Canidae Pet Foods

CANIDAE is pet food made by pet people. We use the same ingredients we want for our own pets to make our foods. From working hard to form relationships with the farmers and ranchers that supply ingredients, to opening our own facility to cook the food—we’re dedicated to providing the best nutrition possible for the beloved dogs and cats that enrich our lives in so many ways. Sensitivities, picky dogs, multi-pet households, or healthy food on a budget, CANIDAE has your solution!

Pros

• High-protein formulas
  • Grain-free options
  • Meat or fish as first ingredients

Cons

• Pricey
  • Few sensitive diet options

Bottom Line

Candidae pet foods feature hearty animal protein for dogs and cats. Products are easy to find, and some retailers offer frequent-buyer rewards programs.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Canidae Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Canidae Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Canidae Pet Foods?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

I have been feeding Canidae to my dog for the past six years. I previously never had any problems with my dog eating this food. A few weeks ago I purchased a new bag of this food at Petco in Long Beach California. My dog is now not eating normally and is feeling lethargic. I noticed that the size of the food is smaller. Something is wrong with this product and needs to be investigated.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I have an 18 month old Cavalier King Charles. He was a finicky eater and we tried several brands of food for him. We added a small amount of Honest Kitchen to each type of food we purchased, but he was VERY fussy. I purchased a small bag of Canidae small breed raw coated grain free with lamb. He seemed to prefer Canidae to the other brands we tried. I bought this from Pet Smart # 1809, Queen Creek , AZ. This trial amount was bought in September of 2019. Baxter seemed to like the product. I bought a larger bag in October. I noticed a few green pieces in the food. But since it was a new brand I didn’t give it much thought. Baxter ate the contents without much prodding.

On November 22, 2019 I returned to Pet Smart and purchased 2 more of the larger bags. When my wife opened the first bag she noted to me that there were some green pieces of food in the bag. I told her that I thought that might be some of the freeze dried coating and we continued to feed it to our pet. Baxter seemed to be finicky again. We opened the second bag from the 11/22 purchase and dumped the remainder of bag #1 into it. This was about 5 days ago. Since then he has progressively refused to eat any of the food.

Today our daughter came for dinner and we consulted her about the problem. She trials 3 Australian Shepherds and feeds them Canidae. After seeing the bag of food she stated that it looked like mold in the food. Our dog won’t go near it. Maybe he is smarter than we are. I have attached pictures of the food, bag, etc. On one picture there appears to be some green matter on the bag. The food is green and when the bag is opened particles seem to float out into the air.!!!!

I am a bit upset that I have been slowly poisoning my dog with what I thought was premium dog food. And it has cost me over a hundred dollars for food that may have caused serious damage to my young dog. What to do now? I am contacting you first for some direction and concern. Are you interested in the nearly full bag of this product? Has this happened before? Do you have a problem? If I don’t hear from someone at Canidae in the next couple of days, I will go to social media to get answers.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

We have been feeding our almost 11 year old German Shepherd Canidae dog food since he was a puppy. People can't believe that he is almost 11 years old because he looks amazing and has energy of a puppy, STILL. Malachi's coat has always been beautiful and we feel like his dog food has helped tremendously in keeping him youthful. We have started using Canidae wet dog food mixed in with his kibbles and he LOVES being fed all of the different varieties he is given. If there was ever a dog that would promote Canidae's line of foods, Malachi should would be that dog. I highly recommend Canidae to anyone searching for that "perfect" food that promotes a healthy, trim, and youthful dog. If you would like a video of what he looks like, I would be happy to share.

Matthew and Jessica

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

Loved this dog food, but for some reason the company "has made a business decision" to retire this product and switch the line to full Grain-FREE. Even after the FDA released the study advising people to avoid Grain-Free, again she stated that this was a "business decision". I've lost total confidence in this company, for putting its profits before my dog's safety. She did go to say that still carry one with grain, but it includes white rice and peas. NO Thanks! It was good while it lasted.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for your support and reaching out to us. We will send this over for review and consideration.

Please let us know if we can be of any other assistance. Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

About 2 months ago I switched my dogs (11 years and 4.5 months) from Taste of the Wild to the Canidae All Life Stages Singe Protein food to help both of them digest and process food easier. They both we’re having some GI issues and I read that Canidae Single Protein is easier on their systems. Both dogs LOVE the food. My elder dog eats her half cup in the morning but paws her food bowl the entire day acting like she’s starving. She has now started sleeping by her food bowl in hopes for more food. She has always been fed a 1/2 cup for her size/weight with no issues. Actually, I had to do 1/4 food 1/4 green beans at one point to help her lose weight. The food seems great but I’m not sure why my elder dog is SO hungry after eating her normal amount.

Original review: July 25, 2019

Canidae was the only one that didn’t have contaminants and recalls that were bad for our dogs. It was one of the ones that were listed that were better for quality control according to our vet. I have a black Labrador and a Boston Terrier and they seem to like Canidae. My lab has maintained the same weight for like four years. He's been pretty healthy with it. I also liked the fact that our pet store gives us a Canidae discount or the 10th bag free. That's awesome. It is a little more on the expensive side but I don't mind to spend money for something of quality. I would recommend Canidae.

Original review: July 17, 2019

It’s been eight or nine years since I've been purchasing Canidae. My dog seemed to like it and it was good. We were having some issues with his coat and stuff getting patchy, and Canidae was something they recommended to us. That’s definitely what helped him out with his coat.

Original review: July 16, 2019

My two and a half year-old yellow lab was having a lot of intestinal problems, and Canidae was the first one that we put her on that she actually cleared up her diarrhea. She does Life Stages and I don’t see ever taking her off the Canidae. My elder dog used Fromm, but I don’t wanna take any chances. She had trouble with Fromm in the beginning with her intestines, so I’m not gonna try to put her on it. She’s doing well in Canidae. I mix Canidae with side dish of chicken, green beans, carrots, and peas, and I put a little bit of that as a filler in with the dog food, so they don’t eat so much dog food with all that fat. And she does very, very well.

Original review: July 15, 2019

Canidae was our choice for our dogs for at least 15 years. They were athletes, trim, energetic, and had beautiful coats. This past winter both our current dogs got sick, one with bloody stools and the other puking up his Canidae within minutes of eating it. The bag of food smelled rancid when that happened, but the problem continued with subsequent, better smelling bags. We had to feed them cottage cheese and rice to get them feeling better, then retried easing them onto the Lamb and Rice formula. They became sick again, and my Great Dane mix had to have a trip to the vet because he was refusing his food, trembling, and lethargic. Vet could find no disease in him. Switched off to a different food, and he went back to normal. I don't think his coat is as nice as it was on the OLD Canidae formula, but I'm not going to kill my dog for the sake of a shiny coat.

Canidae Pet Foods response

We are very sorry to hear that your dogs have not felt well and glad to hear they are doing better. We are committed to excellence and providing our customers' pet's with superior quality nutrition. We urge our customers to contact us anytime there is ever any questions or concerns. We value you and your dogs and thank you for your past 15 years of support and have sent you a private message to see if we can assist you with a different formula.

Original review: July 11, 2019

Our English Bulldog was on Blue Buffalo before for the puppy food and then we moved into Canidae. This is the only food that we use and we got it around six months into a year. We decided to go with the Life Stages as it was the only one available in the big bag. However, in the past six months, our dog's stomach has been upset and his flatulence has been up to a new level. We don’t know if his stomach is reacting to Canidae differently so we bought a different brand. But Canidae has been really good.

Canidae Pet Foods Company Information