3.9/5 (256 ratings)
Find a Dog Food partner

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Blue Buffalo Pet Foods

Blue Buffalo is a manufacturer of dog and cat foods. Ingredients include high-quality meats, fruits, vegetables, cheese, eggs, fish oil, barley, rye, fava beans, vitamins and mineral supplements. Products are available on the company’s website and through other retailers.

Pros

• No filler ingredients
  • Wide selection of food and treats
  • Vitamins and mineral supplements

Cons

• Brand has had recalls
  • Can be expensive

Bottom Line

Blue Buffalo uses high-quality ingredients for its pet food. The company doesn’t use animal byproducts, and it adds vitamins and minerals to provide a balanced diet. There's a range of options for pets of all ages and needs.

Top Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We love Blue Buffalo. ... Our vet recommended this brand and we have never used any other. Buying them Blue Buffalo reduces my guilt of not letting them indulge in table scraps be...

Verified

This is a premium brand, but at a reasonable price point and widely available. Some other recommended brands are quite hard to find! This is grain free and doesn't cause tummy ups...

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Blue Buffalo dog food

Blue Buffalo dog food

Blue Buffalo is a pet food brand that creates healthy food for dogs and cats. It offers products with targeted formulas for each of your pet’s life stages, and the recipes use natural ingredients that include real meat, fruits and vegetables. Blue Buffalo enlists the help of veterinarians and animal nutritionists to develop its formulas.

Blue Buffalo also has an extensive product variety to keep dogs and cats healthy. For dogs, the company makes dry food, wet food and several types of treats. Its dog treats include crunchy biscuits, soft treats, dental bones, jerky and training treats. For cats, Blue Buffalo offers dry food, wet food, crunchy treats and soft treats.

The company sells multiple formula lines that cater to the specific needs of dogs and cats. These lines include high-protein, grain-free or limited-ingredient diets. There are also formulas based on a pet's age. The company says it makes all products without animal byproducts and uses real meat as the first ingredient.

The dry food also includes Lifesource Bits, a supplement that adds vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to your pet's diet for balanced nutrition.

Blue Buffalo prices

The cost of Blue Buffalo products varies based on several factors, including the type of pet you're shopping for, whether you're buying wet or dry food and the line of food you're buying.

Dry dog food ranges from $12 for a 3-pound bag of small breed dog food to $104 for a 22-pound bag of special-formula food. On average, dry dog food costs between $35 and $55. Wet dog food comes in both large and small sizes and is available in packs of 12 that run between $12 and $35.

Cat food costs vary based on the same factors. Dry food ranges from $9 to $75. On average, expect to pay around $35. For wet food, packs of 24 cost from $15 for regular food to $76 for special-formula food. The average cost of Blue Buffalo wet cat food is between $25 to $35.

Blue Buffalo FAQ

What are the small, dark, round pieces mixed with the kibble in BLUE food?
The small, dark, round pieces mixed with the kibble in Blue Buffalo food are LifeSource Bits. These bits contain vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Veterinarians and animal nutritionists craft the formula, and the bits help boost your pet's immune system to keep them healthy.
Does BLUE pet foods contain chicken or poultry byproduct meals?
BLUE pet foods don’t contain any chicken or poultry byproduct meals.
Does Blue Buffalo offer any products for pets with food sensitivities?
Blue Buffalo has a limited-ingredient line for pets with food sensitivities. BLUE Basics has real turkey or salmon as its top ingredient, and it has no soy, corn, wheat, dairy or eggs.
If I change from one BLUE recipe to another BLUE recipe, do I have to transition for two to three weeks?
Yes. For the best experience, feed your pet a 50/50 mix for two to three weeks. This helps your pet’s digestive system adjust to a new recipe.
Does Blue Buffalo test its food on animals?
Blue Buffalo doesn't use invasive animal testing. Some trials involve pets eating the products, but these tests are performed under optimal conditions to keep pets safe and healthy.

Is Blue Buffalo good?

The attention to detail that Blue Buffalo puts into its formulas is appealing for people concerned about their pet's health. The distinct recipes for different age groups and specific diet restrictions let you find food to fit your pet's particular needs. The company’s commitment to natural and healthy ingredients is another important feature for many pet owners. As always, you should monitor your dog when introducing any new food to make sure they react well to the switch.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

Blue Buffalo is a nourishing dog food. My dog's energy has increased on this food and he is always eager to eat when it comes to meal time. He has the energy of a puppy and he is 7 years old. His digestive issues have resolved. His bowel movements are regular and firm. Because I live a holistic lifestyle, I look for whole ingredients when feeding my dog. Blue Buffalo does not use by product and fillers as the initial ingredients in food. They are a high quality food when plenty of variety. Every now and again we switch the flavors and add wet food for our baby. Blue Buffalo we will continue to recommend again.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

Blue Buffalo is remarkable brand that took my blue nose pitbull skin condition from mangy to flawless. The blue buffalo we used was the salmon flavor and unlike other brands, not only did the it cure his skin allegedly but he loved it as if it was a treat. We could not be more thankful to blue buffalo for the wonderful line of dog food which saved us thousands of dollars in finding his allergy issue at the veterinarian.

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

Yes, this Blue Buffalo dog food is one of the best dog foods I've ever found. They have made a food for every dog in mind, from puppies to the old and elderly dog. It's all natural dog food. Has over 160 ingredients for your dog. When it's being made they use low heat, being careful not to lose all the goodness in the ingredients. It's called cold formed. They keep in mind of the immune health of your dog. The life stage of your dog, and the healthy oxidative balance. It's truly amazing how it's all done. So if you'd like to truly like your dog to be happy and healthy then feed your dog blue buffalo today. You and your dog won't be disappointed. Check them out today.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

Given that I am not typically a big eater, my humans were pleasantly surprised to find that I gobbled up my Blue Buffalo meal. The chicken flavor is quite savory and the texture of the kibble reminds me of the socks that I like to pick up and move around the house. My humans are interested in getting another bag when this one runs out, but they worry a little about the FDA investigation into a link between heart disease and grain-free dog food. They just want the best for me, but honestly it's a risk I'm willing to take. -Milo

Original review: June 29, 2021

I have three cats, two of which are special needs. I was feeding my cats a different brand and two of them were always vomiting and one of them was always lazy. When I switched to Blue Buffalo, the vomiting stopped and my lazy cat (Fluffy) has more energy. Fluffy seemed to be sickly before and now she is doing better than ever. I definitely recommend Blue Buffalo cat food.

Original review: May 10, 2022

This dog food caused our Maltipoo to have diarrhea, hair loss and weight loss. No one paid me to make this review. As soon as we stopped using this dog food, our dog stopped having diarrhea and eventually the hair grew back. Do not purchase, if your dog is getting sick and consuming this food stop using immediately. I looked this food up and researched side effects. I saw that this is common and this food can be dangerous. Our dog was never sick until eating this food and got better after we discontinued using this product.

Original review: April 30, 2022

If I would have continued to feed my dog this food, she would have died. Thank God the vet asked me if I had recently changed her food. My vet told me that they would never recommend Blue Buffalo because it causes illness. She said they have wonderful marketers but don't give a damn about your pet.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

I have 5 rescue kittens and 1 adult cat. I decided to try a premium brand and since kibble is 50% of their diet I started. I bought a bag of Blue Buffalo and put it out. I free feed dry food. I put out the Blue Buffalo as well as another bowl of not their favorite dry. Everyone ran to the Blue Buffalo, gave it a sniff and moved on to the other food even though it was not their favorite. I left the BB out and NO ONE touched it. The other bowl was empty. I ended up giving the Blue Buffalo to a local rescue. SIX OUT OF SIX stuck their noses up at the BB..

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

This brand does not deserve 1 star! My dogs (2 Golden Retrievers) developed severe diarrhea after eating this Life Protection formula. I know that it was the food because I immediately stop feeding them the Blue Buffalo life protection formula when I saw that they had diarrhea. I started feeding them white rice pumpkin and sometimes eggs no blue buffalo food whatsoever and the diarrhea stopped immediately. Once I saw that they had solid bowel movements (a couple of days later) I re-introduced the blue buffalo to them and that same day they had severe diarrhea again.

If you read through all of these reviews on consumer affairs the majority of the reviews say the same exact thing. There’s something about this food that causes some dogs to have issues. I noticed that both of my girls had eye boogers and runny eyes that also stopped when I discontinued feeding them the blue buffalo food. If you read their ingredients in their food it all seems decent, however I have read in other places that it is the preservatives that this company is using that is not agreeing with dogs. Not every dog is experiencing the symptoms, but there is an alarming number of dogs that are.

I am going to start feeding my dogs a brand of dog food named Avoderm. It’s made out of avocados. It is very expensive but I have fed it to my dogs in the past and I’ve got nothing but good results. I highly suggest that brand of dog food. It’s really really good for dog's coat of fur. This kibble is expensive, but it’s good for the dog and that makes me happy.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

The dog food was grain-free and really suited the German Shepherds that we had. One of the dogs had an allergy that seemed to flair up unless she ate their dog food. The salmon in particular was a favorite.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information