2.58/5
Based on 162 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good dog food brand?

1803 Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 16, 2018

At 4 months old switched from Purina to Blue Buffalo for puppies as I thought it would be a higher grade food. Then my pup started having itching and diarrhea for a month and now switched to a Holistic brand that helped with the diarrhea. Still itches but will take awhile. I was told by the local dog Store. They said a lot of people switch over to the Holistic brand they recommended. Hate to badmouth any brand but it is what it is and people need to know.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I tried switching my older cat's dry food to Blue Buffalo Sensitive Stomach Chicken Recipe Adult Dry Cat Food today. About 3 hours after he ate some, he started vomiting large pools of blood. I was shocked to see my cat vomit a pool of blood as big as a dinner plate, and, several smaller pools about the size of a saucer. WTF!!! He's 18 years old and I can't afford to pay for the medical bills. If he keeps vomiting blood, I may have to put him to sleep.

The reviews say Blue Buffalo cat food is one of the best, but considering what it did to my best friend, I would say if you want to keep your best friend, DON'T FEED IT Blue Buffalo!!! I wish I would have read ConsumerAffairs Blue Buffalo Complaints before I bought a bag and fed it to my cat! Blue Buffalo Customer Service was closed to take my call, so I left a detailed voice mail. It will be interesting to see if they return my call! I plan on speaking with my Vet in the morning, but by that time, he might be dead!!! Take my advice, DON'T BUY BLUE BUFFALO CAT FOOD!

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 1, 2018

My dog has been sick ever since I began feeding her Blue Diamond Adult dog food. She has been lethargic, won't drink water, and vomits every day. I read similar reviews of this product. I will not be purchasing it again.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I started feeding my Doxie Blue Buffalo in December 2017. At his checkup the first of February 2018, all was well. Fast forward 6 weeks and he is vomiting, having diarrhea, and drinking tons of water. A visit to the vet revealed kidney disease, GI disease and pancreatitis. He spent 5 days in the hospital receiving treatment, fluids, and having his stomach pumped after he wasn’t able to pass anything. 3 weeks later at a recheck of blood and urine, his liver enzymes are through the roof, and again we end up at the hospital.

An ultrasound reveals he has an enlarged gallbladder, pancreas, adrenal gland, and blocked bile duct. I was basically told to take him home, love on him, and enjoy our time together, and he would let me know when he was in pain. I cried for a week straight, but started cooking him things he liked... scrambled egg whites, ground turkey, boiled chicken, and oatmeal. I gave him his 3 meds religiously. When I took him back a week later to the hospital for a follow up ultrasound and blood work, to mine and his internist’s surprise, the inflammation in his pancreas had decreased, gallbladder had decreased in size by 50%, he was well hydrated, and his stomach looked much better.

His liver enzymes had also dropped dramatically (still elevated, but definitely much better). At his checkup last week, his bile duct is no longer blocked, and his ultrasound showed only that the gallbladder was still a small bit enlarged. After spending almost $4,000 in 3 months I feel sure the majority of these issues resulted from the Blue Buffalo food, as he never had any issues until he started eating this brand. From now on I will continue to only feed him food I have prepared myself. Regret ever buying Blue Buffalo.

Original review: May 27, 2018

My 8 year old Ratchi died suddenly of kidney failure - I'm not sure if it is related but we had recently switched his food to the Blue Buffalo brand. I would love it if anyone has any more information that I could look into the possible link of dogs getting sick on this food.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: May 19, 2018

I have a Morkie who's small at full grown weight between 6-7 pounds. I started feeding her small breed Blue Buffalo puppy food as soon as she came home with me at 8 weeks. She did ok for about 1-2 months. When she got sick with hemorrhagic vomiting and diarrhea. I almost lost her. I told the vet the dog food and they hadn't heard of any problems. I incurred a lot of expenses with this treatment. Because, the Vet encouraged the food I continued feeding it. As the time went on my girl developed anxiety, tilting her head to the left off and on periodic refusal to eat. Weight loss, and periodic diarrhea. I tried another food for about a month to see no change and went back to Blue Buffalo due to vet recommendation.

As she grew and it was time I transitioned her to small breed adult Blue Buffalo dog food. The symptoms my baby girl was having just grew worse. Due to the fact there was no recall for her food and the vet saw no problem with it I kept her on the diet. She continued to have frequent vet visits and close calls. I was terrified of losing her for years. I came to terms she was a sickly dog unknowing I was slowly torturing her by feeding her Blue Buffalo. This furbaby is my world!! She is about 7 now. I stopped the Blue Buffalo food a couple years ago switching to another. She unfortunately has suffered permanent damage. It is utterly heartbreaking to see. At times I question whether to have her put down.

I believe the food was tainted and always will. She was tiny so even a small amount of it would be detrimental for her. The fact she kept eating it even though small was poisoning her! So at the very least the small breed and puppy food should be removed and reconfigured! I just wish someone would take this seriously! How many furbabies have to suffer or die from this! Ridiculous! Also not everyone can handle the exorbitant costs from the damage it causes. Unfortunately I do have other dogs I fed this too short term that are a bit larger. Who also have some Neuro changes. Please take head to this for the love and safety of your pets or as mine are furbabies. Thank for giving me a way to get this out to protect these babies!

Original review: May 7, 2018

I found Blue Buffalo to be an excellent product. My dog loves it and her coat is thick and full. I would recommended it. But it is on the high price side, it would be nice to see some coupons for it.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I have 2 cats that I started feeding Blue Buffalo dry cat food about three or four weeks ago. Since then they have been vomiting every day. This past Thursday I removed the Blue Buffalo and replaced it with Purina One which they had been eating before. Today is Sunday and they haven't been sick since I changed the food. I am not going back to Blue Buffalo.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods has made a big difference in my dog's digestion. They also seem to have better overall condition in appearance. When I have tried other brands my dogs get sick and have loose bowel movements.

Original review: May 5, 2018

My dog has eaten Blue Buffalo since I first brought him home six years ago. He loves Blue Buffalo dry foods and at his annual vet checkups his doctor says his weight is always appropriate for his breed, his overall health is very good.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Why is Blue Buffalo now available in local grocery stores? Has the quality of the food changed? My small dog likes the grain free kind... doesn’t bother her stomach like some other foods. But why cost SO much? Why is it never on sale or coupons available for the food? Dog food itself confuses me... I can only guess what is best for my dog's nutrition. Do you believe all the commercials? I pay this price for my dog's food because it agrees with her. She is definitely geriatric and not easy to satisfy... But the bag is also SO large for small breed dog, takes us forever to finish a bag. Too bad for us if there is a recall on bad food & somehow we miss it! The cost and confusion of dog food is crazy! I want to take good care of my dog, but consumers can’t believe anything they're told anymore!

Original review: May 3, 2018

I started my Chihuahua on the Blue Buffalo for small breed because of their commercial. He was overweight and 12 years old. After approximately 4 months, he started drinking excessive amounts of water and loss control of his bladder. I took him to my vet, he did a glucose check and blood work. He told me, he had an infection in the pancreas, (pancreatitis), glucose level was off the chart, and thyroid was too low. He now has Diabetes and has to take insulin shots twice a day and eat prescription dog food, and is on a thyroid pill. Now the diabetes has caused cataracts on both eyes making him BLIND!! I can't afford cataract surgery for my poor baby. I am LUCKY he is still ALIVE though!!! I wish I could sue the Blue Buffalo company for enough money for the surgery to remove the cataracts! My vet said he hasn't done this surgery in years because of the cost. People, PLEASE, DON'T FEED YOUR PRECIOUS BABIES THIS BRAND OF DOG FOOD!!!

Original review: April 29, 2018

My dog can’t get enough of Blue Buffalo. He dives right into his food. He enjoys it so much I have ask my husband has he eaten yet. Food never sits in bowl at all anymore. His skin looks better too.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Well, for starters, I have two Maltese puppies (dogs) and they have been using it for about 3 years and love it. We have had absolutely ZERO complaints about it or their health. Stumbled across this website and couldn't believe all the negative reviews on here!!! Highly recommend this brand!!!

Original review: April 28, 2018

The Blue Buffalo high protein and low fat % plus such a wide array of vitamins and nutrients help me feel that I’m extending my dog's life by feeding him some of the best food on the market! It sure helps that my fur baby, Rocco, loves the flavors too!

Original review: April 27, 2018

My bichon Bailey died after getting a growth/lump in his throat the vet said was cancer and put him on **. My other bichon Dodi passed as well a couple years later when he started getting seizures. I absolutely will not feed my third bichon anything from Blue Buffalo or Blue Wilderness! Lesson learned!

Original review: April 26, 2018

We changed to the Blue Buffalo dog food because we saw the ad saying how good the food was. When I saw the post that dogs were getting sick from the food we immediately stop giving it to him. Our dog started to cough trying to vomit and we took him to the vet but could not find any problem. He just gave us some pill to give him which did not do any good, It continued to get worse. He was vomiting every day all he was eating. Took him back to the vet and we thought maybe he had a blockage so they took several x-rays but that did not show any blockage.

So the next suggestion was to send a blood sample to a lab in Texas to do a test. That lab is the only one in the country that does the test, result came back that he has pancreatitis and some liver problems which are the same problems some other dogs have that were on the food. The vet said we have a long road to get this under control. Hopefully we can get him better. We have him on 3 different meds and special dog food that is 4.00 a can. So we are now sitting at $1,000 spent trying to save our dog. I think the company should be responsible for some reimbursement for all our cost because of the bad food.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy is better quality dog food for mass-produced brand. Ingredients are better than most and it is grain-free. Never had any problems with the dog on this food.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Back in November 2017 I had to rehome my dog with a fantastic lady named Stacy and we have been semi co-parents for the Layla dog. When I first picked Layla up from the pound in 2010 I had gone into Petsmart and told the manager that I had just lost my job I am on very limited income and I need to find a healthy food for Layla. He pointed me to their brand and said once I get back up on my feet that Blue Buffalo is the top brand. I ended up getting a small bag at one point and Layla never really liked it.

Cut to November 2017, Layla was rehomed with Stacy and I had given her a huge container of Authority dog food. Somewhere along the line Stacy had thought I was giving Layla Blue Buffalo. So for the past six months or so we had been mixing the two foods together without knowing it. A couple of weeks ago Stacy had said that Layla dog had been eating a lot of grass. I really did not think anything of it and just accounted for Layla getting into something that she was not supposed to. Over the weekend I got a text from Stacy saying that Layla was itching uncontrollably and thought it might have been because of the flea meds that she recently put on the dog. I thought it was because the fleas were taking a last stand.

This morning I received a very upsetting and frantic text from Stacy saying that she just read a bunch of reviews and had Layla on Blue Buffalo and that she was sick to her stomach. We are going to Petsmart today and going back on Authority. I have noticed that since last year Blue Buffalo has been in grocery stores, Target and Wal-Mart when it used to be exclusively sold just at pet stores.

Original review: April 19, 2018

In the 8 years I’ve had my dog, she’s never had digestion issues. She’s always adjusted well when her food was change. That is, until I bought Blue Buffalo two weeks ago. The first week started with loose bloody stool. I figured it was a virus because as I mentioned she’s never had a bad experience with food. I did what was recommended which was keep her hydrated, but away from food for 24 hours. Her stool appeared normal again. Once I reintroduced her to the Blue Buffalo, the diarrhea started again. I had no idea this garbage had a history of making dogs sick. I guess it’s better to catch it early on than when it’s too late. *Lesson learned.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I have a 14 week old dog that I started off on Blue Buffalo and it currently he has been having runny stool and has not had no energy. My vet say she conducted a test and he did not have worms, so after reading reviews I saw other dog and cat owners having the same problem and some people lost their animals. Come to find out Blue Buffalo has had 2 recalls and somehow they are still selling this dog food that is harming animals. Before you spend a lot of money on a vet bill change the food and see if that fix the problem.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I noticed the new bag of Blue Buffalo “Healthy Living” chicken & brown rice formula that we have been feeding our (7, now 6) cats for years had changed, in a bad way. The cats did not want to eat it, and were getting sick when they did. I just purchased another bag yesterday that happened to be an older bag by a month. It looked very noticeably different and the cats were gobbling it up. I didn’t know about the buy-out by General Mills until this morning while trying to research it online. It looks like we’ll be making their food from now on.

In case anyone else is feeding it to their cats and wants the info, here are the lot numbers of the old (good) and new (bad) formula. These are the 15 lb bags, but I imagine all sizes changed around the same time. The old formula is: Best by 2019 Jun 27 Lot:20190627 AH2 B 2144. The new bad formula is: Best by 2019 Jul 27 lot: 20190727 AH2 C 1637. I've included images of both lot bags and an image of the 2 foods in the dish. You can see the old good formula in the bottom half of the photo and the new bad formula in the top half of the photo the old formula is larger and a bit lighter than the new formula. I hope that people will stop buying this toxic pet food and that General Mills loses money over bad practices!

Original review: April 8, 2018

I picked up ~ a month supply of Blue Buffalo 3 weeks ago. To be short, I still have about 2 weeks left because my dog hates it and would reluctantly eat 1/2 a cup a day when he is supposed to have 2-3 cups a day. He is a large, active dog who walks 1-3 miles a day in addition to other backyard exercise so I find his meals so important. It's my job to pick something good since he can't.

I also noticed his stool was runny and he was itching more often than usual. I almost dropped hundreds at the vet having them investigate until I found all the complaints about Blue Buffalo online. I stopped into a specialty pet supply store in my city that has high standards for what they carry. They told me they carried Blue Buffalo many years ago but gave it the boot when it kept getting recalled and customers were complaining. They recommend another food. I brought a bag of it home and now my dog can't wait for mealtime. We are 2-3 meals in on this new food and his stool is already looking healthier. I feel so guilty I was making him eat Blue Buffalo and I feel guilty that I am throwing away 2 weeks worth of dog food when I know there are starving animals. :( Take some time to research your pet's food. It's so important.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I’ve been feeding all three of my dogs Blue Buffalo grain free dog food for as long as I’ve had them - all are happy and healthy with no issues whatsoever. My beagle has been eating it since 2011. Never a problem. My Doxie since 2012. No problems. My newest family member another beagle since last year, no problems and she is a picky eater.

Original review: April 1, 2018

Only fed our puppy Shih Tzu this dog food from birth until 2 when he passed away. He basically fell ill suddenly. As a puppy he started chasing his tail and going in circles, we thought he was just weird. He then developed walking and falling to one side and being off balance. Then he started shaking some and eventually he would walk sideways and couldnt keep his head up. He would walk sideways, fall and bang into things. Our vet could not diagnose him without a cat scan of his brain which we could not afford. He said that he would try ** to reduce swelling because he thought he had swelling on the brain.

It helped a little but he said that if he progressively on the ** then there would be nothing they could do for him. He lasted a few more months and then we had to put him down. For whatever reason the vet said that there was swelling on his brain. I could never understand what really caused this but came across these reviews of the dog food and now I wonder if this was the cause of his death.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I have two senior dogs 10 and 17. I bought the Senior Blue Buffalo on a Sunday night, gave them a small amount and the next day they both had very runny bloody stools and the 10 year old was throwing up white foam. I rushed the 10 year old to the vet and $263.00 dollars later I had them on a special diet and taken off the Blue Buffalo. 10 days later the dogs were much healthier. My daughter brought over George, her two year old pup, and I gave him some of the Blue Buffalo and sure enough he ended up with runny, bloody stools. That's it for me. I'm going to take it back to Tisol and see what they can do for me. I thought this was a good food but maybe something is wrong with this batch. It has an expiry date of June 2018 but I don't know if that is the issue.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I have been giving my medium sized dog Blue Buffalo for about a year. Her condition declined a little bit, but nothing that couldn’t be tied to old age. Then my smaller dog, a Chihuahua mix, started getting into the food, though I didn’t know it because it was happening during dog sitting. He had his own food, not Blue Buffalo, but was sneaking this food for at least a month. He started having seizures recently, so we took him to the vet. He was found to have critical liver damage and the vet suspects, based on other dogs he’s seen, that this was due to eating Blue Buffalo. Poor Calvin really suffered in his last days because he ate this food. Please do yourself a favor, save your dog and avoid this food! I’ll never forgive myself for buying this terrible food and poisoning my dog with it.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Slowly switched my 2 Pomeranians over to Blue Buffalo because it was advertised as the best thing to feed your pet. We slowly integrated the food into their diet like you’re supposed to do. We did not add anything to the food like another user assumed anyone with a negative comment about Blue did and After a couple of days one my dogs was lethargic, vomiting foam, and having mucous bloody stool and the other refused to eat the food at all. I took my dog to the vet thinking it had parvo or something only to find out that Blue Buffalo is one of the worst foods you could feed your pets!

They said most dogs have this same bad reaction or worse to it. I can’t believe this company is still in business because they are killing poor animals. I personally changed my Pomeranians to Bil-Jac and within 1 day my sick Pomeranian was back to his normal happy hyper self instead of on death’s doorstep like he was when he was in Blue and the other is eating like normal again.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I started feeding my senior dog Blue Buffalo dry senior dog food. She was on it for a couple month and then started to vomit up stomach bile during the night, make this weird noise almost like she was grinding her teeth when she got excited and then began to have seizures. She was having 20+ seizures a day. After doing research on the food and reading about this food having too much lead in it I switched her food immediately. The vomiting and jaw noises have stopped thankfully but the seizures have not. She is now on seizure medications and still having at least a couple seizures a day. :( This company should be out of business.

Original review: March 20, 2018

On Friday, March 16 I had to say goodbye to my big, beautiful, loving, orange Tabby, Milo due to advanced kidney failure. Milo was not even 10 years old. Previously a dry cat food consumer, the vet was looking to take some weight off Milo as he was about 2 pounds above the top of his range. She recommended a wet food diet for 6 months with the option to switch back to dry food once he was a lean, mean, Orange machine. Unfortunately, he wouldn't make it to see that day. Blue Wilderness was on the list of "affordable" wet cat foods that we were told were OK to give our cat. We left the vet in November with a clean bill of health (besides those two pounds) and a goal to switch to wet food.

Around the middle of January Milo developed a UTI which we treated, but he never was fully the same. Soon after that he began hiding a lot more in the house, only coming out for meal times and not to play or interact. He also started expressing some bad behavior, such as peeing on my husband and on the wall behind our bed. We were told to give him a few kibble kernels with his wet food as he was likely just communicating that he did not want exclusively wet food. Milo continued to deteriorate with behavior and health. He had trouble urinating and he bit both of my children on separate occasions. We brought him back to the vet. She tested him for urinary crystals of which he had none. She gave us a few recommendations for dealing with our once sweet boy's switch to naughty hell-cat.

Then, he stopped eating at all. On Tuesday March 13 in the evening, we noted that Milo had gone 36 hrs without eating. We got him into the vet the next morning. His bladder was full with several days urine. They checked for a blockage but there was none. The vet manually expressed his bladder and found his urine contained more than 50% blood and she found sand, "grit", and what looked like wood particles in his urine. WOOD AND SAND IN MY INDOOR CAT'S URINE. Alarmed, she reluctantly diagnosed him with Inflamed Bladder Disease, took a blood sample and sent us home with meds. As soon as the blood came back on Friday morning she discovered he was in advanced kidney failure. His numbers were so high they didn't even register on their scales. In addition, they found 5 times the acceptable amount of phosphorous in his blood.

At 4:30pm that afternoon, my husband, and two young children (12 and 10) said goodbye to our beloved kitty; 4 months after switching to Blue Wilderness. Now, in his death I have done some research to find that this is a pretty common occurrence with this food and yet despite at least 2 lawsuits Blue Buffalo is still in business! Destined to kill more innocent animals. I have found to eliminate Blue Buffalo from stores, and from vet recommendations for food. I will never get my baby back, but I would like compensation for the $1,500 in vet bills to care for him, as well as compensation for pain and suffering.

My boy was never the same from that vet trip in November, little did I know the very food that promised to make him healthy and strong was slowly poisoning him to death. Blue Buffalo, you should be absolutely ashamed of yourselves. I don't know how you sleep at night knowing full well that you are killing innocent animals and putting families through torture. Shame on you. Never again.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information