1.84/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 20, 2017

1676 Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I've been buying Blue Buffalo Blue Basics Limited Ingredient Grain free for two years for my french bulldog at $50 a case. My last four cases we found the cans of food were watered down and less food, you can shake a can and hear the water sloshing around. I sent Blue Buffalo an email with photos, they said, "Sorry for your experience and can we send you a bag of blue kibble." So if you want to buy a case of water for $50 with a little dog food in it buy Blue Buffalo Blue Basics Limited Ingredient Grain free.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I have 2 Shi Tzu dogs, both are Rescues, and both have been eating Blue Buffalo for almost 7 years. They love the small kibble food and I supplement it with Dynovite, which adds back the nutrients that the cooking process of dog food often takes out of the food that is supposed to benefit these creatures. I will continue to use this brand of food and the supplement of Dynovite. It stops the smelly dog smells and their poop is not all mushy like other foods cause them to be. Easy to clean up, pick up. And they are satisfied with the food. Sometimes for a special treat I will buy the canned version of the small kibble and they love it too.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Cat food poisoned. Decaying, turning green and blue. This was a couple months back. Blue Buffalo For Sensitive Stomachs: I still buy Blue Buffalo cat foods. I had two 15 lb bags, that were defective. I have been feeding my cats, dry Blue Buffalo cat food for 2 years now. Their foods have always been good. I still keep and eye out on this food: There is so many poisonings for their dog foods. I keep an eye out. Never have I seen food for cats, turn green and stick together with white and blue mold. Until I purchased a Blue Buffalo Cat food product. If you buy their cat foods: Keep an eye out on the kibble daily. If Your cats starts acting funny. Toss the food. If my cats, will not eat it. I toss it. I may switch back to Purina indoor cat food. Or IAMS.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Been using Purina One cat food for almost 15 years. My ferret's, my cat's, my kittens all eat Purina One. My ferret's needed a higher protein food. I decided to intergrade Blue Buffalo Wilderness cat food into my home. Within 3 days of this food in the house my one and a half year old healthy male cat was so hungry he started pulling apart carpet. I now have cat with a stomach and large intestine full of carpet pieces because the food was inadequate supply of fiber and natural fats that these animals need to feel full. I'm looking at a $3,000 Bill whether he survives or not. These people owe me and my family some compensation for the stress that we are under right now. We have already had to put one pet down in October.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

It started about 2 years ago when my 9 year old cat developed flutd. He was eating Blue Buffalo since he was about three. I noticed he was going around squatting and peeing and using the litter box multiple times a day. So I panicked and I took him to the hospital. Come to find out he had a partial obstruction stuck in his urethra and luckily we caught it in time where a pill could help break it down but he was forced to be on prescription food for the rest of his life. The vet said if it comes back while he's on prescription food then it's a problem with the cat but if it goes away completely then it was the food... Ever since switching to prescription food not one problem ever. Of course I'm too scared to switch him back over to any other type of food so he'll just stay on prescription food. I thought ehh it happens... Then our other cat who was almost 2 years old started walking around like he was in pain... constantly visiting the litter box and we saw blood leaking out of him.

This was just a month ago. So I thought, here we go again! He has also been on Blue Buffalo since he was about 16 weeks old. We immediately took him to the hospital where we found out he has a stone blocking his entire urethra and they couldn't dislodge it and his bladder was getting full, something needed to be done right away. So surgery it was. He underwent a very complicated surgery where they had to cut the penis off and pretty much make him a new hole so he could pee. There was many complications from the surgery and his body just couldn't take well to it. He ended up with a UTI and none of the pills or anything was working because he was just too sick. I found him lethargic and throwing up in his litter box. We immediately rushed him back to the hospital...

We never got to bring him back home. He was so sick he had to be euthanized. It was only one week ago today and we are still very heartbroken... Blue Buffalo killed my cat. We are now going back and forth filing a claim. We're sending over the vet bills which totaled close to $4,000! I don't even care about the money at this point. I would do it all over again for him. I just don't want other pet parents to go through the same thing. The amount of money refunded could never bring back my cat. Please don't feed your cat this stuff... something happened with this food... it used to be good... it’s not anymore. R.i.p. my sweet boy Cole 10/21/17.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

This has been a horrible experience. I bought the food because I have two senior Pugs. Since I have started using it they have had consistent diarrhea. There has also been ongoing bouts of peeing. This food is gone from my house. NEVER AGAIN - I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND IT!!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

My 6 month Shit-zu had a seizure last week. Had been on Blue Buffalo Puppy chow for about a week prior to this when this occurred. Vet could not find anything wrong. Changed my puppy chow food, and he has not had any more seizures.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

We brought home a new puppy 6 weeks ago today. She was on Puppy Chow and I knew it had to go. I decided to switch her to Blue Wilderness Large Breed Puppy. She did great on it. Then the first bag was empty. Open bag #2 and she walked away from her food. Figured she just wasn't hungry. Offered again later and she took a few bites then walked away. She finally ate about half her normal feeding when she got really hungry. The next morning, she has explosive diarrhea. Thought it may have been too many treats or the bully sticks, so we stopped giving treats and took the bully stick away.

She continued to nibble on her Blue Wilderness at feedings. Her stools continued to be watery. It was to the point I was ready to have her checked for giardia and coccidia. As this was continuing I decided to switch foods. I figured going cold turkey instead of gradually wasn't going to hurt anything. She ate the new food without hesitation. Her poop went to pudding then solid within 24 hours. I added a little of the Blue Wilderness to her food simply because I was still thinking it may have been the treats and I have this almost full bag of food to use. Back to explosive, watery poop again. So, no more Blue Buffalo. Obviously quality control is lacking and I don't want to risk another bag just for the same results.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I just returned a bag of Blue Buffalo "Freedom" grain-free puppy food to Petco because it had what looked to be rat poop in the food. Disgusting! At $20 for a small bag of food, I expected much better from this company. I wasn't surprised to see so many other negative reviews and comments about sick pets. Bad, bad, bad.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I took my dog to his vet who could find no reason for his extreme panting and weekend. He had another episode so I had to take him to the emergency vet hospital at 2 am. I finally realized that it could be the new bag of food. He never had a problem before. I stopped giving him the food and he has not had a problem since. Vet bills cost me $350.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I have had my dog on Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula since he was a puppy. He is now 4 years old and in good health. Never had a problem with this brand. I will continue to use blue Buffalo life protection formula.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

My niece Daisy the chihuahua has been on this food for several years. It's the only food that she will eat. She barely has any teeth left but the kibble is small enough she pretty much just swallows it. She doesn't like wet food either. I have been trying to get her off of this food since the recalls started in 2016. This line of food has never been part of the recall so we kept feeding her this, praying and crossing our fingers that we would never have any issues. We opened a new bag of food on Friday and she started having tummy issues. She had diarrhea the first night the new bag was opened. We gave her probiotics and fed her a bland diet. She was better through the weekend so we added the kibble back on Tuesday.

She had explosive diarrhea Tuesday night again. We did take her to the vet on Wednesday and they don't know what's wrong. She is back on probiotics and a bland diet. We are going to try to get her on a different food or we will be making her home cooked meals from here on out. I feel so awful that we took our chances despite all of the complaints and recalls. I wanted to put this out there in case anyone has had issues with this line. It's so sad to see that this company that once produced great dog food has gone downhill like this.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I fed my cats Blue Buffalo dry food for approximately 2 years thinking that what I read on the bag was truthful. I trusted that the mineral amounts stated on each package were correct... To my surprise my sweetie Bug got very sick very fast. Day one he was lethargic and came and laid his head on my pillow to tell me he was sick. Day two he looked like crap so I made a vet appointment for the following day. Over the day I noticed that he wasn’t urinating.

At 8 am the next day we were at the clinic. They drained his bladder only to find it reblocked several times... End findings were a very large bladder stone cause by his primary source of choleric intake and an excess of minerals in his diet... I followed the feeding instructions verbatim. He died as a result of the complications from the bladder stone later that week... I had no choice but to lay my buggers... Booboo... My little man... My shadow and my best friend to rest. Look at the class actions suits. They're not without merit...

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

When we adopted a new kitten, Oscar, his foster family had been feeding him Blue Wilderness cat food, we decided to switch for our 1 year old, Walter, as well because it seemed healthier. After 1 week our 1 year old cat has been vomiting and has had diarrhea. Walter is now at the animal hospital, severely dehydrated, with low kidney function. The only change in our household has been switching his food. This cat food is poison!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I have very big concerns about Blue Buffalo's Dry Dog food. I have an 8 year Shih Tzu who has been on the food for 2 years who didn't show problems until about 6 weeks Ago. This is when he began vomiting after every meal and after every time he would drink. He underwent several hundred dollars worth of testing only to find out that it was his dog food that was giving him the trouble.

I understand that dogs develop food allergies so we switched his food and the problem is getting better. I also have an 11 year old Yorkipoo who we were allowing to finish the leftover Blue Buffalo food. He has also been on the food for several years. Well now, the Yorki is vomiting the food as well. This no longer seems to be a coincidental food allergy. This seems to be a very costly and potentially very dangerous pet condition. There is no way that both of my dogs can suddenly have both developed the same allergy to this dog food. I have spent almost $1000 on medical bills behind this dog food not to mention many sleepless nights with vomiting dogs. I really think an investigation needs to be launched into this company.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Starting off day 1 of feeding my dog Blue Buffalo she has been extremely sick. She has had constant diarrhea and then started throwing up. In the 5 years of having her I have never experienced anything like this. All of the ingredients are similar to the ingredients in the previous food and I started switching them gradually mixing the two together. I talked to a friend who I thought had fed her dogs Blue Buffalo dry food and she proceeded to tell me she had a similar experience! One of her two dogs was fine, however the other showed the same symptoms throwing up and having diarrhea. After reading more reviews looks like this is not an uncommon accuracy with this brand of dog food. Extremely disappointed and worried for the wellbeing of my dog.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I got some blue Buffalo cat food to feed to the 30 or so cats in a colony that I care for. I also have 11 of my own rescues etc. None of the cats will eat it, which I thought was strange because it is touted as being healthy and wholesome. ** it is poison. My 8 year old cat, "Sqweek" was a healthy vibrant kitty until last week. I didn't know what was wrong with her, so I had to borrow some money to take her to the vet. Actually the vet was dumbfounded at the symptoms. Said it seemed like she had a stroke. Then I mentioned the Blue Buffalo cat food, and all kinds of alarms went off. I was told to put her on a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice and plenty of fresh water. That evening, she started to refuse to eat. The next day I was having to puree her food and feed her with a med. Syringe. It just got worse, and after staying by her side for three days and nights, she passed.

After all I have read about these lying sacks of garbage at Blue Buffalo, and their devil May care attitude towards my reaching out to them, I am fully convinced they killed my baby "Sqweek". They can rot in hell for their reckless complacency. Even my colony cats have not been here to eat for two days, so now I have to spend money I don't really have to feed all of my buddies, what the hell though, it's not the cats fault, never was. All I am really worried about is how many more of these poor creatures that have come to rely on me for a daily meal are sick because I fed them Blue Buffalo food? I hope they forgive and forget. Tomorrow they will be back to their beloved Kit and Kaboodle. They have eaten it for 11 years with no poisonings!!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

My dog had been feeling sick the last few days. Had a fever, wouldn't eat and no energy. Tonight I looked in his food bowl and saw 3 live worms crawling around. Then I looked in his dog food and saw multiple live worms crawling around in there. This is appalling. We trust you with the health of our animals and you bag up dog food full of worms.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

We were an excellent customer of Blue Buffalo for several years. All of the sudden our black lab started to be constantly thirsty and drinking tons of water. She had several accidents on the carpet and basically ruined it. I coincidentally read about a recall of BB (Red Meat) dog food and the symptoms that it was causing. This is what my dog was eating and the symptoms she experienced. I only asked Blue Buffalo to reimburse me for the cost of cleaning the carpet. We did not submit vet bills or anything - just receipts for cleaning. They wrote back with a refusal to pay anything because they could not be "sure" that their food caused the problem. Of course I am disappointed with a response and have decided to never, ever subject my dog to such a lame company's product again.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

My dog has been eating this food for close to two years now and never had a problem. She never cared for it much, but that's likely because she prefers MY food, and would pick at her bowl and eat it once she was sure she wasn't getting anything else. I dogsit for a friend and he mistakenly bought a bag of Blue Buffalo Wilderness Small Breed last week. Within two feedings, my dog had diarrhea and vomiting. I started feeding her rice and hamburger and then my friend's dog got diarrhea too! Thinking since the Wilderness was grain-free it may be too rich for them, I went and got a new bag of the regular BB Small Breed and threw out the Wilderness yesterday. I just arrived home to my dog in distress and vomiting. $60 for two bags of food down the drain! Not only is my dog sick, but now I get to make dinner for two dogs -- peas, hamburger and rice. Thanks, Blue Buffalo. I'm done.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

If you read BB's ingredients, they offer the SAME first five ingredients of other top-selling, top-rated brands. Since dogs are domesticated, they NO LONGER have the digestion of a wolf, which is based on the Wilderness line of BB. This is why most breeds get sick off it; they can't digest raw meat, which is a component of Wilderness.

I have four Australian Shepherds. Two will eat ANYthing BUT their dog food. (They want OUR food!), the other two will eat anything put in front of them, AND they want our food. Aussies are called "Velcro Dogs," because they are VERY attached to their humans and want what we have. Despite this, they CAN'T eat anything they want, because it makes them sick: flour (gluten), dairy, raw meats, tomatoes. My two dogs won't eat BB, either. I now make their food, and use supplements recommended by the vet. It's better for them, less expensive and they EAT.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I switched to Blue Buffalo because of a recommendation from a friend. We were using Nutro before and now I have gone back to using Nutro. After using Blue Buffalo for senior small dogs; my dogs started pooping black tar like poop. I was worried about their health but simply switching back to Nutro Ultra the black poop went away. My dogs are shelter dogs and I am not sure of their age, I think they are at least 12 years old. I would recommend that if you want a good dog food use Nutro and skip the Blue Buffalo.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

We moved back from Florida, and while looking for a new home to purchase we stayed with our son. Our son has a boxer and we have boxer/terrier that we rescued. We were giving our dog Purina pro plan since we rescued her, she was given that at the shelter. Once our son put his dog food down our little girl ran to the bowl and ate the entire bowl. I asked my son what the name brand of food it was. He said it Blue Buffalo turkey and rice blend. Needless to say I had a full bag of Purina pro plan that our no longer wanted to eat.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

If I could give a negative rating I would. I have 3 dachshunds that have been on Blue Buffalo for a while. All of them developed health issues shortly after starting the food. ALL of them lost fur and had balding spots on them. My smallest of the three lost a lot of weight (12lbs down to 8 lbs). She had the million dollar work up with no answers. The last bag of food I bought did not look right - it was very dry and flaky. ALL 3 of them ended up with bloody diarrhea and vomiting. All 3 of them had to go on antibiotics and I had to cook them ground hamburger and rice while they were recovering.

It took about 2 weeks for them to recover fully. I have switched them to Nutro dog food. ALL 3 of them have their fur growing back in, they have more energy, their coats are shiny, and the best is my little sickly one has gained her weight back! She is like a new dog playing again and wagging her tail. I just wish we picked up on the fact that it was the food that was making them ill for so long. I would not recommend this food to any pet parents - a fellow concerned pet mom and nurse.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

Opened a new bag of Blue Buffalo dry dog food tonight and saw something in the food that looked like dried maggots and some fuzzy lint-like material and then on closer examination saw live maggots! The inside of the bag was covered with the cob webby, fuzzy lint-like substance. This experience has really turned me off of commercial dog food and will not be buying Blue Buffalo for my two dogs ever again.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

It's healthy dog food and all three of my dogs like. It's natural no added anything that is very important to me. Also helps with their digestive system. They are vibrant dogs all three of them. Their ages are as follows Oscar 13, Toby 3 and Mowgli is 1. All are chihuahuas and have a lot of energy and I attribute that to the dog food.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I don't understand why people give this food a bad review. I have a 9 yr American bull dog/pit, 4yr German shepherd, 12yr min pin/chi mix, 13 yr cat, 5yr cat, 4yr cat, and a 4month kitten. Each of my dogs and cats have been through multiple food that has either made them sick, diarrhea, vomit, or didn't want to eat, even skin allergic reactions. It's not really so much the food that makes dogs sick it's what's in them that triggered our dog to get sick. It takes time for that Ingredient to build up in the dog's system before you see the reaction to it. So anyways Purina gave my shepherd hives and my pit gained too much and was losing fur on his tail, tried multiple Purina nothing worked. Switched to Nature's Recipe decent food however each of my dogs have a special diet they need to be on and grain free is the main thing.

Switched to Merrick by my sister's recommendation and this made all 3 of my dogs have severe diarrhea, vomit, and refusal to eat. Took one whole bag to see that effect. So we switched to Blue Buffalo. Pit is on healthy weight chicken grain free, shepherd is on large breed salmon, min pin on toy breed chicken formula, older cats are on hairball and weight control, kitten is on the kitten food. I never seen my dogs and cats enjoy their food so much. Each food it's tailored for each situation in my house. I even bought the salmon grain free wet food to mix as treats for dogs and wet food for cats. I see nothing but good outcome with my animals and we are about through our first batch. You really need to find out what your pet is allergic to before leaving poor rating for a dog food assuming it's a mistake they made. Or just feed your dogs raw diet which is costly but way better than dog food. If I could afford it I would.

Original review: July 27, 2017

Big price/Big problems: We adopted a one year old Weimaraner a month ago from the SPCA. Even on the Pedigree dog food they had her eating, she seemed fine. Poops were normal, and she had plenty of energy! I gradually switched her to Blue Buffalo Life Protection. For the last several days, she has had terrible gas and loose stools, lays around more, and has had several pee accidents. I am definitely going to buy her something else. Wish I had read these reviews before buying.

Original review: July 25, 2017

In my experience my decision to feed my dogs Blue was after reading so much and understanding of ingredients and standards in pet food. I read many reviews stating that it made their dogs sick and I really think that I would love to know what ingredient or recipe was the issue. If a dog has allergies it's not the food's fault. It's not the lobster's fault my husband can't eat it. Honestly there is nothing in Blue that has made my dogs sick, in fact quite the opposite. I have never heard a vet that wasn't owned by a pet food company say that Blue was toxic and would love someone to explain with actual factual data to support that.

There are many different dogs and formulas of foods. By-products and corn would concern me. Animal or meat ingredients listed in general would also concern me. While there are some ingredients I can do without such as coloring and carrageenan, there are no other ingredients in Blue that give me any idea of what the issue is. In reading the labels of at least 30 brands I can't come close to understanding why people believe it was Blue over all instead of something that didn't work for their dogs? Blue is a quality company with quality food in my experience. My dogs' bloods and labs are great. Perhaps someone can explain this to me.

Original review: July 17, 2017

I have just returned from the vet after taking my 8 year old chi after she vomited and began pooping blood early this morning. She had been eating this food for the past 4 days. She has no other history of any gi issues and doesn't have access to eating anything weird nor does she ever do that. When the vet was told her diet she advised against feeding Blue Buffalo food in any form and stated she had heard of many bad experiences with the brand. After spending over 650 dollars and seeing my poor pup wearing a doggie diaper because she couldn't control her bowels, I will certainly never buy that brand again. I am a RN, and I know that every dog is different but if even one dog experiences this it is one dog too many!!! My pup changed from being a happy healthy girl to being incapacitated over 24 hours. She lost so much blood that the vet was thinking she needed hospitalization.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information