2.67/5
Based on 167 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good dog food brand?

1813 Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 15, 2018

After eating Blue Buffalo, our two dogs had to go to the Vet emergency room, they started shaking, vomiting and lost total control of their muscles. It was a long night thinking we might lose both of our babies. I called Blue Buffalo a few days later. They had me jump through hoops of sending all of the documentation. Which we did, only for them to become unresponsive. Finally they sent a letter that made no sense. I told them I took the remaining food and used my "Seal a Meal" to preserve it. They never wanted to test it. I WILL NEVER EVER feed my dogs their food again. When you have an issue with them, you will find out they are the most uncaring company ever.

Original review: July 11, 2018

My pet is no longer satisfied and is not as interested in mealtime as he has always been. What is the reason behind the change in wet food cans, pate style, it is already digested for him with that style and he continues to be hungry. Is there a reason why this food has changed style?

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: July 10, 2018

I've been feeding my cats and dogs Blue Buffalo for several years. Suddenly, my cats wouldn't eat the food (purple bag)... So after several days I bought the Indoor Cat (Blue) food. They ate it for a few days and now won't touch it. This, after 4 years of eating BB with no problems. I looked online to see if they changed their formula. I am so disappointed in what I'm reading. I called my pet food store and they have been steering people away from BB since it is now mass produced and sold in stores like Walmart. Before using this food, I did a significant amount of research on the best, healthiest food for pets. I'm disappointed they are obviously cutting costs to increase profits. My dogs haven't had a problem with the food, but considering what I know now, I will be changing them to a new food also.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I purchased the x-large bag of Blue Buffalo Senior. The expiration date was 2 months away from the purchase date and I was sure we could use it up. The first night about 5 hours after 2 of the dogs ate the food they had bloody diarrhea and were throwing up. I took one of them to the vet the next day and they prescribed a new food diet that I would actually cook myself and medication to get them through the next few days. They did a full blood work up. My daughter brought her 2 year old dog over for a few days and the first night I gave the food to him he had bloody diarrhea and was throwing up. I had not thought that the food was the trouble until the third dog got sick. I contacted the pet food store Bosley's and they in turn contacted Blue Buffalo. I am still waiting for them to reimburse me. It has been 3 months. I will never use Blue Buffalo again and probably no other dog food either.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I have had nothing but good things to say about Blue Buffalo dog food. I didn't think there was a problem. But after reading all the negative things, it makes me question what exactly is in the dog food that could hurt my dog. As it stands I will stay with Blue Buffalo, it is all I give my dog for the last 4 years and she seems to love it. I am wary about dog food, especially since the dog poisoning several years back. If I thought there was the slightest inkling there was a problem she would be eating another product immediately.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: June 27, 2018

My cat is picky about food. I have tried a lot of brands and I find the Blue Buffalo is the best because of the ingredients versus what's in the other kinds of lower brand cat food.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I just got my 15 pound bag of Healthy Living Chicken dry cat food-chicken and Brown Rice - purple bag this weekend. They changed the ingredients. They took out the turkey meal and added a lot more peas, plus moved good ingredients further down the list. The food is lighter and doesn't smell as good as the original. What a shame, it was really good for the money and my cats really liked it. It is mass produced now. What a shame the money Blue makes off people and they cheapen the ingredients now. I will be looking for a new food. Cats are picky hard to find something they all like.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I have been feeding my cat Blue Buffalo Hard Cat food for about 8 years or more and everything was ok. In the past 4 years my cat has developed an itching that my vet could not get a hold of. He started looking as if he had mange and would scratch all day to the point of literally scratching his skin off the top of his head and face area. I was so scared for him. I tried medicated shampoos, flea and mite drops, topical solutions, even antibiotics. Nothing seemed to work so I figured he might have developed some allergy to his food.

I changed the food to Hills D/D Prescription hard food for Skin/ Food Sensitivities. His hair grew back. His bald spots are back hair after 2 weeks of changing his food diet. He looks healthier and stronger. He hasn't stopped itching completely yet but more than 60% of his scratching has stopped. I rarely see him scratching anymore and his coat is full and shiny. No more bald spots or blood from scratching. I heard from a local salesperson at a pet food place that Blue Buffalo has been known to have chicken byproducts even though they claimed they didn't and also lead. Not sure if all this is true but it would explain my cat's health deteriorating while eating Blue Buffalo Hard Food.

Original review: June 24, 2018

After losing a cat to colon cancer 9 years ago, I did MASSIVE AMOUNTS of online research and chose Blue Buffalo due its use of MEAT rather than meat by-products, fruits and vegetables for its carbohydrates, and LACK OF CORN. Cats CANNOT digest corn, and, shockingly, many cat foods include it ANYWAY! I would have given it all FIVE STARS, but lately one of our cats has been vomiting it.

Original review: June 23, 2018

It's one dry food our cat will eat that I don't feel too bad about. She eats it and it seems to agree with her touchy stomach. She is a rescue, from a nine cat household. She was one of three who didn't starve to death, but she has issues from starvation.

Original review: June 16, 2018

At 4 months old switched from Purina to Blue Buffalo for puppies as I thought it would be a higher grade food. Then my pup started having itching and diarrhea for a month and now switched to a Holistic brand that helped with the diarrhea. Still itches but will take awhile. I was told by the local dog Store. They said a lot of people switch over to the Holistic brand they recommended. Hate to badmouth any brand but it is what it is and people need to know.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I tried switching my older cat's dry food to Blue Buffalo Sensitive Stomach Chicken Recipe Adult Dry Cat Food today. About 3 hours after he ate some, he started vomiting large pools of blood. I was shocked to see my cat vomit a pool of blood as big as a dinner plate, and, several smaller pools about the size of a saucer. WTF!!! He's 18 years old and I can't afford to pay for the medical bills. If he keeps vomiting blood, I may have to put him to sleep.

The reviews say Blue Buffalo cat food is one of the best, but considering what it did to my best friend, I would say if you want to keep your best friend, DON'T FEED IT Blue Buffalo!!! I wish I would have read ConsumerAffairs Blue Buffalo Complaints before I bought a bag and fed it to my cat! Blue Buffalo Customer Service was closed to take my call, so I left a detailed voice mail. It will be interesting to see if they return my call! I plan on speaking with my Vet in the morning, but by that time, he might be dead!!! Take my advice, DON'T BUY BLUE BUFFALO CAT FOOD!

Original review: June 1, 2018

My dog has been sick ever since I began feeding her Blue Diamond Adult dog food. She has been lethargic, won't drink water, and vomits every day. I read similar reviews of this product. I will not be purchasing it again.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I started feeding my Doxie Blue Buffalo in December 2017. At his checkup the first of February 2018, all was well. Fast forward 6 weeks and he is vomiting, having diarrhea, and drinking tons of water. A visit to the vet revealed kidney disease, GI disease and pancreatitis. He spent 5 days in the hospital receiving treatment, fluids, and having his stomach pumped after he wasn’t able to pass anything. 3 weeks later at a recheck of blood and urine, his liver enzymes are through the roof, and again we end up at the hospital.

An ultrasound reveals he has an enlarged gallbladder, pancreas, adrenal gland, and blocked bile duct. I was basically told to take him home, love on him, and enjoy our time together, and he would let me know when he was in pain. I cried for a week straight, but started cooking him things he liked... scrambled egg whites, ground turkey, boiled chicken, and oatmeal. I gave him his 3 meds religiously. When I took him back a week later to the hospital for a follow up ultrasound and blood work, to mine and his internist’s surprise, the inflammation in his pancreas had decreased, gallbladder had decreased in size by 50%, he was well hydrated, and his stomach looked much better.

His liver enzymes had also dropped dramatically (still elevated, but definitely much better). At his checkup last week, his bile duct is no longer blocked, and his ultrasound showed only that the gallbladder was still a small bit enlarged. After spending almost $4,000 in 3 months I feel sure the majority of these issues resulted from the Blue Buffalo food, as he never had any issues until he started eating this brand. From now on I will continue to only feed him food I have prepared myself. Regret ever buying Blue Buffalo.

Original review: May 27, 2018

My 8 year old Ratchi died suddenly of kidney failure - I'm not sure if it is related but we had recently switched his food to the Blue Buffalo brand. I would love it if anyone has any more information that I could look into the possible link of dogs getting sick on this food.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I have a Morkie who's small at full grown weight between 6-7 pounds. I started feeding her small breed Blue Buffalo puppy food as soon as she came home with me at 8 weeks. She did ok for about 1-2 months. When she got sick with hemorrhagic vomiting and diarrhea. I almost lost her. I told the vet the dog food and they hadn't heard of any problems. I incurred a lot of expenses with this treatment. Because, the Vet encouraged the food I continued feeding it. As the time went on my girl developed anxiety, tilting her head to the left off and on periodic refusal to eat. Weight loss, and periodic diarrhea. I tried another food for about a month to see no change and went back to Blue Buffalo due to vet recommendation.

As she grew and it was time I transitioned her to small breed adult Blue Buffalo dog food. The symptoms my baby girl was having just grew worse. Due to the fact there was no recall for her food and the vet saw no problem with it I kept her on the diet. She continued to have frequent vet visits and close calls. I was terrified of losing her for years. I came to terms she was a sickly dog unknowing I was slowly torturing her by feeding her Blue Buffalo. This furbaby is my world!! She is about 7 now. I stopped the Blue Buffalo food a couple years ago switching to another. She unfortunately has suffered permanent damage. It is utterly heartbreaking to see. At times I question whether to have her put down.

I believe the food was tainted and always will. She was tiny so even a small amount of it would be detrimental for her. The fact she kept eating it even though small was poisoning her! So at the very least the small breed and puppy food should be removed and reconfigured! I just wish someone would take this seriously! How many furbabies have to suffer or die from this! Ridiculous! Also not everyone can handle the exorbitant costs from the damage it causes. Unfortunately I do have other dogs I fed this too short term that are a bit larger. Who also have some Neuro changes. Please take head to this for the love and safety of your pets or as mine are furbabies. Thank for giving me a way to get this out to protect these babies!

Original review: May 7, 2018

I found Blue Buffalo to be an excellent product. My dog loves it and her coat is thick and full. I would recommended it. But it is on the high price side, it would be nice to see some coupons for it.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I have 2 cats that I started feeding Blue Buffalo dry cat food about three or four weeks ago. Since then they have been vomiting every day. This past Thursday I removed the Blue Buffalo and replaced it with Purina One which they had been eating before. Today is Sunday and they haven't been sick since I changed the food. I am not going back to Blue Buffalo.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods has made a big difference in my dog's digestion. They also seem to have better overall condition in appearance. When I have tried other brands my dogs get sick and have loose bowel movements.

Original review: May 5, 2018

My dog has eaten Blue Buffalo since I first brought him home six years ago. He loves Blue Buffalo dry foods and at his annual vet checkups his doctor says his weight is always appropriate for his breed, his overall health is very good.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Why is Blue Buffalo now available in local grocery stores? Has the quality of the food changed? My small dog likes the grain free kind... doesn’t bother her stomach like some other foods. But why cost SO much? Why is it never on sale or coupons available for the food? Dog food itself confuses me... I can only guess what is best for my dog's nutrition. Do you believe all the commercials? I pay this price for my dog's food because it agrees with her. She is definitely geriatric and not easy to satisfy... But the bag is also SO large for small breed dog, takes us forever to finish a bag. Too bad for us if there is a recall on bad food & somehow we miss it! The cost and confusion of dog food is crazy! I want to take good care of my dog, but consumers can’t believe anything they're told anymore!

Original review: May 3, 2018

I started my Chihuahua on the Blue Buffalo for small breed because of their commercial. He was overweight and 12 years old. After approximately 4 months, he started drinking excessive amounts of water and loss control of his bladder. I took him to my vet, he did a glucose check and blood work. He told me, he had an infection in the pancreas, (pancreatitis), glucose level was off the chart, and thyroid was too low. He now has Diabetes and has to take insulin shots twice a day and eat prescription dog food, and is on a thyroid pill. Now the diabetes has caused cataracts on both eyes making him BLIND!! I can't afford cataract surgery for my poor baby. I am LUCKY he is still ALIVE though!!! I wish I could sue the Blue Buffalo company for enough money for the surgery to remove the cataracts! My vet said he hasn't done this surgery in years because of the cost. People, PLEASE, DON'T FEED YOUR PRECIOUS BABIES THIS BRAND OF DOG FOOD!!!

Original review: April 29, 2018

My dog can’t get enough of Blue Buffalo. He dives right into his food. He enjoys it so much I have ask my husband has he eaten yet. Food never sits in bowl at all anymore. His skin looks better too.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Well, for starters, I have two Maltese puppies (dogs) and they have been using it for about 3 years and love it. We have had absolutely ZERO complaints about it or their health. Stumbled across this website and couldn't believe all the negative reviews on here!!! Highly recommend this brand!!!

Original review: April 28, 2018

The Blue Buffalo high protein and low fat % plus such a wide array of vitamins and nutrients help me feel that I’m extending my dog's life by feeding him some of the best food on the market! It sure helps that my fur baby, Rocco, loves the flavors too!

Original review: April 27, 2018

My bichon Bailey died after getting a growth/lump in his throat the vet said was cancer and put him on **. My other bichon Dodi passed as well a couple years later when he started getting seizures. I absolutely will not feed my third bichon anything from Blue Buffalo or Blue Wilderness! Lesson learned!

Original review: April 26, 2018

We changed to the Blue Buffalo dog food because we saw the ad saying how good the food was. When I saw the post that dogs were getting sick from the food we immediately stop giving it to him. Our dog started to cough trying to vomit and we took him to the vet but could not find any problem. He just gave us some pill to give him which did not do any good, It continued to get worse. He was vomiting every day all he was eating. Took him back to the vet and we thought maybe he had a blockage so they took several x-rays but that did not show any blockage.

So the next suggestion was to send a blood sample to a lab in Texas to do a test. That lab is the only one in the country that does the test, result came back that he has pancreatitis and some liver problems which are the same problems some other dogs have that were on the food. The vet said we have a long road to get this under control. Hopefully we can get him better. We have him on 3 different meds and special dog food that is 4.00 a can. So we are now sitting at $1,000 spent trying to save our dog. I think the company should be responsible for some reimbursement for all our cost because of the bad food.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy is better quality dog food for mass-produced brand. Ingredients are better than most and it is grain-free. Never had any problems with the dog on this food.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Back in November 2017 I had to rehome my dog with a fantastic lady named Stacy and we have been semi co-parents for the Layla dog. When I first picked Layla up from the pound in 2010 I had gone into Petsmart and told the manager that I had just lost my job I am on very limited income and I need to find a healthy food for Layla. He pointed me to their brand and said once I get back up on my feet that Blue Buffalo is the top brand. I ended up getting a small bag at one point and Layla never really liked it.

Cut to November 2017, Layla was rehomed with Stacy and I had given her a huge container of Authority dog food. Somewhere along the line Stacy had thought I was giving Layla Blue Buffalo. So for the past six months or so we had been mixing the two foods together without knowing it. A couple of weeks ago Stacy had said that Layla dog had been eating a lot of grass. I really did not think anything of it and just accounted for Layla getting into something that she was not supposed to. Over the weekend I got a text from Stacy saying that Layla was itching uncontrollably and thought it might have been because of the flea meds that she recently put on the dog. I thought it was because the fleas were taking a last stand.

This morning I received a very upsetting and frantic text from Stacy saying that she just read a bunch of reviews and had Layla on Blue Buffalo and that she was sick to her stomach. We are going to Petsmart today and going back on Authority. I have noticed that since last year Blue Buffalo has been in grocery stores, Target and Wal-Mart when it used to be exclusively sold just at pet stores.

Original review: April 19, 2018

In the 8 years I’ve had my dog, she’s never had digestion issues. She’s always adjusted well when her food was change. That is, until I bought Blue Buffalo two weeks ago. The first week started with loose bloody stool. I figured it was a virus because as I mentioned she’s never had a bad experience with food. I did what was recommended which was keep her hydrated, but away from food for 24 hours. Her stool appeared normal again. Once I reintroduced her to the Blue Buffalo, the diarrhea started again. I had no idea this garbage had a history of making dogs sick. I guess it’s better to catch it early on than when it’s too late. *Lesson learned.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information