2.96/5
Based on 153 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good dog food brand?

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 17, 2018

1761 Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I switched my dogs food in about 2012 after my vet said to switch to Blue from Kibbles 'n Bits. It was so expensive so I thought it was good food and it’s advertised as such. After that I was in a car accident with him he was fine but started having seizures. I thought it was because of the accident. Even though he was not hurt no one could figure out why and it never crossed my mind that it was the food until a different vet said, "Blue was horrible for your dogs," so I started doing research and omg so many dogs and cats are having seizures after switching to Blue. I’m disgusted and disheartened by this and will never purchase Blue again. Btw the only reason they can say they don’t add preservatives is because they buy their ingredients with preservatives in them so they can advertise as not adding any preservatives. Freaking disgusting.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I started giving my 15 year old dog Blue B. food for seniors to keep her healthy. After 2 weeks of feeding her the food she started walking a little bit better but then she had her first and only seizure she's ever had. Also, had bad eyesight and within 2 months she was completely blind and she could no longer use her back legs which is common for an older dog but deteriorated very quickly after the dog food was introduced into her diet. Eventually I had to put her to sleep 4 months after I started feeding her the food.

I have two other very young dogs that really didn't like the taste of the dog food anyway. They had soft stool for a few weeks after switching the food. So I switched to Nutra dog food and they love it. Only reason I even thought it was the food is because I looked at a recall in June 2017 that said the food had high amounts of lead in the food. They were probably right but I trusted a friend that praised the food and said it got their dog walking again after 3 weeks. Never again!!! Blue Buffalo needs to reimburse its customers for the deaths of our loved ones (our dogs)!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Honestly, I cannot believe some of the negative comments on here. My Shiba Inu baby, Rileigh, who is 11 years old, has lived a healthy life with Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain-Free food. I have had absolutely no negative reactions -- she loves it and always eats all of her food. Sometimes I wonder if maybe some people are mixing the kibble with something else that may be causing their ailments and pointing to the Blue product rather than what they may have introduced into it. I can only speak for my Rileigh -- strong, beautiful coat, alert, a little arthritic but that's to be expected at her age. I can't imagine why I would even try another brand of food. So, for what it's worth, I highly recommend Blue products.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

We switched our 11-year-old cat from 9Lives to Blue about 3 or 4 months ago, making sure we slowly switched the food like is suggested. She seemed great! She became more active, wanted to play more, heck her coat even seemed to be better. Everything was great... until about one or two weeks ago. That is when it was obvious that something was not right. She started drinking lots of water, which is odd as cats normally do not want to drink water often. She suddenly started became quick to attack us when we tried to pet her when she used to lay on my lap for hours happy to get pets. And today she suddenly started throwing up; I mean she rarely gets sick, maybe once every three months and that is normally a hairball, but today... 6 times that I heard/seen. Please do not buy this food. Hell, I am afraid to give her the treats.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

My heart goes out to these pet owners as I read through their emails about their experiences with Blue Buffalo pet food. I nearly lost a 14 year old cat 4 years ago by feeding it Blue Menu cat food. He also was having seizures and rapidly lost weight and became very lethargic. When all vet tests came back normal I changed his food because it was the only change that had been recently made to him within about a 3 week period. He gradually regained his health and only last month passed away at the age of 18.

What I don't understand is how Blue Menu Pet foods continues to even exist and we are always being bombarded by their extensive TV ads as they try to brainwash people into thinking they are the absolute best food available. It's been 4 years since I had that bad experience with my cat and how many pets have suffered or died since then because of that garbage. I wish there was something we could do. If it were people instead of pets affected something would have been done by now.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I began using Blue Wilderness canned dog food to mix it with my dog's dry. I only use a couple tablespoons at a time just to provide moisture. Yesterday I came home from work and my dog had extreme diarrhea and was vomiting. Afterward, I put more food down and again mixed in the canned dog food. She ate her food last night, but jumped on me in my sleep at 5:00 this morning to let her out and we could barely make it to the door quick enough. Again, she had diarrhea and vomiting. I immediately thought of the food, which I just started using. I did research and came across all these complaints. I will not be using this brand any longer.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

We have a rescue dog. She was 5 months old when we received her and she has been eating Blue Buffalo puppy food (chicken & rice). She really enjoys that. When she turned 14 months old we switched to adult Blue Buffalo wilderness. I have read the reviews and too many complaints about cost. Well we went out for supper the other night. The meal was $38 plus tip for one meal so I look at the cost of her food as pretty damn cheap for that 12 pound bag last over a month. I think I should find a food that would feed me for a month for $20 dollars.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I was given a Lowchen dog who was 2 months short of being 2 years old. About a year later she started having seizures. The vet had to increase her medication a couple of times to control the seizures. When she was 10 years old she also developed diabetes. I drove to Atlanta with Rosie and had to take her to the vet there. He kept her because she was dehydrated and some of her vitals were off. She died that night at the vets. I couldn't believe she was gone. That was at least 3 years ago. I just read about the problems with Blue Buffalo at the end of last year. I am so angry because I thought I was feeding my dog the best. Her seizures caused her to fall on the floor and flail her legs and lose her urine. After the seizure she would walk around in circles as if she didn't know where she was.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I have been using Blue for many years. Within the past 2 I have my 3 pets 1 dog 2 cats to Blue Wilderness. They have never been as healthy as they have been since starting. They are all at the proper weight have all the energy in the world.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

My name is Tony and I would like to voice what has happened to our family dog Lincoln who is a 5-year-old (German shepherd and lab mix). We bought Lincoln when he was approximately 1.5 years old in late January 2014. When we took ownership of Lincoln he was receiving Purina pro plan focus. We kept Lincoln on Purina for about a year until we transitioned his food to Blue Buffalo. The reason for switching his food was due from recent news that some of Purina’s products were coming from China. We choose Blue Buffalo - Chicken Adult because it was a premium brand and also trusted recommendation from staff at PetSmart.

Before Blue Buffalo, we used to feed our dog two times a day (Breakfast and Dinner). After switching Lincoln would not eat his breakfast serving and would eat both his breakfast and dinner serving right before bed. It took a while for Lincoln to like his new food but soon enough he was eating a 30 lb bag about every month. In July of 2016, Lincoln had his first seizure in the middle of the night. My wife and I were pretty familiar with this situation and were able to handle it due from my wife being epileptic. After Lincoln’s first seizure my wife and I brought Lincoln to the vet the next morning because we thought Lincoln might have chewed a piece of gum containing xylitol. The doctor checked his blood levels which didn’t show any sign of xylitol.

The next week Lincoln had another seizure. We went back to our animal hospital and were informed that Lincoln might be epileptic or might have a brain tumor (unlikely for his age). After a long conversation with the Vet, we decided to put Lincoln on ** (anti-seizure medicine). Lincoln was taking ** 2 times per day to start off. For the next year, we kept Lincoln on the same food and medication. In that time Lincoln still had seizures about twice every month and had normal blood levels. In May of 2017, Lincoln had a cluster of seizures (6 within 24 hrs) which resulted from us bringing him to the University of Minnesota (U of M) Vet center at 4:30 AM in the morning. We are a middle-class family and for the most part, we have to charge the out of ordinary expenses on our Credit card and hope to pay it off within reason. The bill at the U of M Vet Center was a $1,000 for the day.

The aftermath ended up causing Lincoln to up his ** dosage to 2x and to be introduced to a new drug **. We now went from $70 / month in medicine to $140. We kept Lincoln on the same medication and food thinking that this was the norm. In October of 2017 fed up with the cost of Lincoln’s medication and that Lincoln still continued to have seizures, we decided to research his food. We found out that Blue Buffalo has had thousands of complaints that it has given other dogs/cats seizures and death as the worst case scenario. After this research, my wife and I thought we should change Lincoln’s food and see if it made a difference.

We went to Chuck & Don’s Pet Food and Supplies and spoke with an associate there and voiced our concerns about Blue Buffalo. The associate was aware that it gave dogs seizures. We decided to go with Taste of the Wild. I am proud to say that Lincoln has been seizure free for 3 months now which is amazing to us and our family. Typically during a seizure, Lincoln paces back and forth in the hallway and wakes up our 18-month-old daughter which is a double whammy. The reason I am writing this is to inform consumers about Blue Buffalo. Blue Buffalo is advertised as a premium dog food and a healthy choice for pets. I was shocked when I found out what happened to our dog as a result of the food (top dollar $$$).

I want a refund for the hospital bills, the food, and medication ($4k over 1.5 years). I don’t know if I will ever see this compensation but I am happy our dog is still with us. From the forums, I have read that is not the same scenario for a lot of pet owners. So please inform others and do your research on dog food. Just because you pay top dollar for food does not always mean the best for your pet. Please email me if you have any questions about your dog. I want to do my best to help.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I have tried Blue Buffalo on and off for months now. My 8 month old pup loves it. But it doesn’t love him. He originally was on Blue Wilderness Puppy. He loved it. I have never seen him so excited to eat. But after about 2 weeks he started getting unbelievable gas, then came the diarrhea. Then came the tummy grumbles and whimpers of pain. I immediately took him off of it. But he doesn’t like the taste of any new food. So I went back to Blue Buffalo with their Texas BBQ. All the same symptoms came back. So now we struggle to find a new food. He loves Blue Buffalo. But it doesn’t love him and I don’t love it either.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

I say about a day ago I bought Blue Wilderness for my very active energetic puppy, people kept suggesting that for my German Shepherd pup but it made her vomit and no longer acting like herself, she has been refusing to eat any food, any suggestions on what to do? Our vet was closed today so we couldn't take her up there.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I started my kitten on Blue Wilderness wet and dry cat food because the shelter was feeding him Purina Friskies and I heard that Blue was supposed to best store brand. My kitten has no trouble adjusting between foods, and it’s been a couple months since I started him on Blue. However, about a month into Blue, he started throwing up all the time. Just this morning, he threw up 5 times in a row all over my bedroom floor. Not to mention, his activity increased soo much since I started him on this. What the hell are you guys doing to this food?!

And now that I’ve been online and seen all the negatives about this company (which you guys do a good job of covering up in specific searches) and about how many animals it’s killed, you can bet your ass my cat isn’t eating this shit anymore. This is like feeding your child nothing but McDonald’s! This is horrible! It’s so hard to find good foods. All billionaire companies like to do is find the cheapest ways to do things no matter how it affects the health of their target audience. They’re forcing us to slowly kill our babies!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Do not buy these treats! Blue Buffalo “All Natural" Dog Treats sent my fur baby into liver failure! Seizures, overnights at the animal hospital, ultrasounds neurologists, biopsies, and 5 medications every 2 to 3 hours a day not to mention a few grand. Later after ruling out cancer and or neurological issues it was concluded that it was the Dog Treats causing the issue! Something needs to be done, Blue Buffalo you need to take responsibility for the pain and suffering you are causing your customers! You need to compensate! I think a class action is warranted. You almost took the light of my life from me. It appears I’m not the only one!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

My three year old Boxer just passed away and I am fairly certain her death was due to Blue Buffalo dog food. She was very healthy dog. After a couple of months on the food she became more and more less interested in eating it. Looking back I should have changed food then, but Blue Buffalo was highly rated. A week before she died she experienced diarrhea and fatigue off & on. She passed away less than 24 hours after seeing the vet, at that time all vitals were normal & was sent home with anti diarrhea meds. I really wished I did a better job researching this product, maybe this review will save a pup.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Blue Buffalo Dog Homestyle Recipe Chicken Dinner - Our 4 year old min pin is at the ER Hospital fighting for her life with pancreatitis and a severe urinary infection. We only started a slow food switch a month ago or less. The ER Docs said they were seeing many cases of pancreatitis during the food changeover. Hopefully I caught it early and she will live... She started vomiting today and within 4 hours had crashed. Not sure if it’s the food, but after reading many other posts and news stories, probably not a coincidence. Our Belle might die and has suffered greatly today because we wanted to feed her “Healthy and Holistic Natural Food for Dogs”. My advice: Don’t be tempted by the commercials.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

If I could give this product 0 stars I would! My puppy is so sick and this dog food (Puppy Food chicken flavor) that I got today is the blame!!! Blue Buffalo like my energetic puppy is out of it, lethargic, vomiting, just not himself. And he never acts like this! $50 for some dog food that has my baby sick AF! Don't feed your dog this **. I swear I should have done my research first. But everyone insisted to my BF this is the food he should be eating. First of all I wanna say I won't be taking any more advice from nobody when it comes to the well being of my dog. Like seriously I will raise him, Train him, and feed him what I see is best! Don't buy this! I REPEAT. DON'T BUY THIS DOG FOOD.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Do NOT feed your pet BLUE. I do not usually write reviews, but I want to warn other pet owners out there about this terrible product. My cat has been on BLUE all of her life, and for the past 2 years she has been on BLUE Wilderness Indoor Chicken formula. Recently, she had to have major surgery to remove a large struvite bladder stone, which is caused by diet. When I wrote to this company about what happened, they brushed it off and blamed my vet for not linking the stone to the food. My vet (who I trust and saved her life) let me know that these stones are always caused by diet. BLUE Buffalo knows this as well. I am extremely disappointed with this company and product and just want to protect other animals out there.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

We thought we were doing a good thing by switching our 55 lb. Siberian Husky & our 30 lb. Springer Mix to the higher priced Blue Grain Free. We followed protocol & did it slowly, mixing with their old food Max Grain Free. Both dogs quickly developed very loose stools. When we originally switched to Max, this did not happen! Both their stools continued to get even more runny. We finally gave up and quickly went back to Max. Both dogs stools firmed right back up. It just seems odd that two very different dogs reacted to Blue the exact same way!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Blue Buffalo Basic - Tried both wet and dry for my dog’s sensitive skin, she has food allergies. She still itched. Having looked at the ingredient statement and the company's advertising, they claim to be better quality, however it’s all marketing appealing to millennials. I used to purchase ingredients for dry pet food, and other than the fact that they use poultry meal instead of poultry-by product meal, there is no sense paying a premium for a product that is essentially the same a Purina. Further, poultry by product meal actually may be more digestible for pets, so it may be all smoke and mirrors marketing.

I spoke with my vet (that has a pet) and she said she felt that there was way too much fiber in their products and as such would not feed Blue products to her dog. My dog is very sensitive to food and I do have a hard time finding products for her to eat, outside of Purina HA, which is awfully expensive but in reality Blue's products are more hype than anything else and is probably not worth the premium. They also use de-boned chicken is probably frozen product, so if one wants a real premium product go with Origen, it seems to be all fresh. Don't waste your money on the hype this company is selling, there are better options out there worth the premium.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

What we now know about Blue Buffalo makes me and my family sick. Our dog became violently ill after eating Blue Buffalo. We had him checked into emergency. His condition was dire and the Vet said that they were not sure that the dog would make it through the night. They brought him back to better health, but it was touch and go. I remember prior to his issues that he would whine at his dog dish. I didn't understand why. He would look at us and look at his dog dish. I kept telling him to eat that there was nothing wrong with his food. Well the dog was hungry, so he reluctantly ate the food. After that he had his spell in emergency, we only fed him rice with chicken that we made up ourselves. His condition improved and he was back to normal. We kept up feeding him the rice and chicken for a couple of weeks. From all indications he was back to himself again.

After that, we started mixing his dog food with the rice and chicken and eventually weened away the rice and chicken. Next he was back on just Blue Buffalo again. A couple of days later his condition went from good to downhill again. He continued to not want to eat his food. We found him on the bathroom floor one morning. He was lethargic and he died there that morning. He was fine for a couple of days prior and he went downhill after feeding him Blue Buffalo again. It was only after he died that I put two and two together.

The only common denominator was his eating his Blue Buffalo food that brought his health condition down. Had we only paid closer attention to him. He was giving us signs by whining at his dog dish when we put the food in front of him. He knew there was something wrong with the food, but we didn't pay close enough attention. What this taught us is that we need to pay closer to attention to our dog as they are ultra sensitive and can detect things.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Blue Buffalo/Wilderness almost killed my dog - I purchased a bag of Blue Wilderness puppy dry food not knowing that Blue Wilderness was related to Blue Buffalo. My dog became VERY ill, throwing up and vomiting excessive. My dog became lethargic and his issue became worse with blood in his stool and vomit. I thought he may have eaten something bad that did not agree with him however he only got worse! I took him to the vet thinking he contracted Parvo since the symptoms were so similar. They did a Parvo test and it was Negative. All x-rays, blood, stool, came back normal of course. It was the Blue Wilderness dog food that made my baby sick and he is LUCKY to be alive! Who is going to correct and compensate for this? Horrible!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

They claim to have more healthy food for your pet, but have the same just listed different on can. I spent more thinking it would be better quality but same as Friskies with just a higher price tag. My cat was sick for days after eating this food.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Looking for quality which I feel Blue Buffalo has both their dry food and wet along with Solid Gold food. Would not jeopardize my dog's health with choosing any food of low quality.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Since I changed to Blue Buffalo my little Sadie Mae has more energy, she's more alert and wants to walk and play again. I feed her the Wilderness high protein - grain free Salmon recipe with Life Source Bits-adult. This is a very good investment in her health and well being. I love my little girl and would be lost without her, feeding her Blue Buffalo ensures she'll be happy and healthy.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

My dog really loves this brand, I get 4 of the different choices that Blue Buffalo offers and he loves all of them. This brand has all of the benefits that are needed for my dog which I have check and I am very pleased with this product.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

My seven year old pitbull is actually a very finicky eater. She does like the Blue Buffalo. My only complaint is I wish it was a little cheaper. But as the saying goes you get what you pay for.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods is a very good all nature food for my dog. It's a little high in price but the vet to me this is the number 1 dog food. Thank you. I would try another food for my dog.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

My dog a Lab mix, loves this food, even eating it twice a day for 8 years. Her lab results are perfect, her weight is well within normal ranges and there have been no negative side effects.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I use the one for small breed. My dogs use to have problems walking and no longer have problems since using Blue Buffalo pet food. They also had more pep. The lamb is getting hard to find lately. I can only find online.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information

bluebuffalo.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use