2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.22/5

Blue Buffalo is a manufacturer of dog and cat foods. Ingredients include high-quality meats, fruits, vegetables, cheese, eggs, fish oil, barley, rye, fava beans, vitamins and mineral supplements. Products are available on the company’s website and through other retailers.

BOTTOM LINE

Blue Buffalo uses high-quality ingredients for its pet food. The company doesn’t use animal byproducts, and it adds vitamins and minerals to provide a balanced diet. There's a range of options for pets of all ages and needs.

PROS

• No filler ingredients
  • Wide selection of food and treats
  • Vitamins and mineral supplements

CONS

• Brand has had recalls
  • Can be expensive

Top Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

We love Blue Buffalo. ... Our vet recommended this brand and we have never used any other. Buying them Blue Buffalo reduces my guilt of not letting them indulge in table scraps because I know I'm feeding them as healthy as I can be.

This is a premium brand, but at a reasonable price point and widely available. Some other recommended brands are quite hard to find! This is grain free and doesn't cause tummy upsets in my sensitive dog.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Shop on Chewy

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Blue Buffalo dog food

Blue Buffalo is a pet food brand that creates healthy food for dogs and cats. It offers products with targeted formulas for each of your pet’s life stages, and the recipes use natural ingredients that include real meat, fruits and vegetables. Blue Buffalo enlists the help of veterinarians and animal nutritionists to develop its formulas.

Blue Buffalo also has an extensive product variety to keep dogs and cats healthy. For dogs, the company makes dry food, wet food and several types of treats. Its dog treats include crunchy biscuits, soft treats, dental bones, jerky and training treats. For cats, Blue Buffalo offers dry food, wet food, crunchy treats and soft treats.

The company sells multiple formula lines that cater to the specific needs of dogs and cats. These lines include high-protein, grain-free or limited-ingredient diets. There are also formulas based on a pet's age. The company says it makes all products without animal byproducts and uses real meat as the first ingredient.

The dry food also includes Lifesource Bits, a supplement that adds vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to your pet's diet for balanced nutrition.

Blue Buffalo prices

The cost of Blue Buffalo products varies based on several factors, including the type of pet you're shopping for, whether you're buying wet or dry food and the line of food you're buying.

Dry dog food ranges from $12 for a 3-pound bag of small breed dog food to $104 for a 22-pound bag of special-formula food. On average, dry dog food costs between $35 and $55. Wet dog food comes in both large and small sizes and is available in packs of 12 that run between $12 and $35.

Cat food costs vary based on the same factors. Dry food ranges from $9 to $75. On average, expect to pay around $35. For wet food, packs of 24 cost from $15 for regular food to $76 for special-formula food. The average cost of Blue Buffalo wet cat food is between $25 to $35.

Blue Buffalo FAQ

What are the small, dark, round pieces mixed with the kibble in BLUE food?
The small, dark, round pieces mixed with the kibble in Blue Buffalo food are LifeSource Bits. These bits contain vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Veterinarians and animal nutritionists craft the formula, and the bits help boost your pet's immune system to keep them healthy.
Does BLUE pet foods contain chicken or poultry byproduct meals?
BLUE pet foods don’t contain any chicken or poultry byproduct meals.
Does Blue Buffalo offer any products for pets with food sensitivities?
Blue Buffalo has a limited-ingredient line for pets with food sensitivities. BLUE Basics has real turkey or salmon as its top ingredient, and it has no soy, corn, wheat, dairy or eggs.
If I change from one BLUE recipe to another BLUE recipe, do I have to transition for two to three weeks?
Yes. For the best experience, feed your pet a 50/50 mix for two to three weeks. This helps your pet’s digestive system adjust to a new recipe.
Does Blue Buffalo test its food on animals?
Blue Buffalo doesn't use invasive animal testing. Some trials involve pets eating the products, but these tests are performed under optimal conditions to keep pets safe and healthy.

Is Blue Buffalo good?

The attention to detail that Blue Buffalo puts into its formulas is appealing for people concerned about their pet's health. The distinct recipes for different age groups and specific diet restrictions let you find food to fit your pet's particular needs. The company’s commitment to natural and healthy ingredients is another important feature for many pet owners. As always, you should monitor your dog when introducing any new food to make sure they react well to the switch.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

Three years ago I adopted a a rescue American Staffordshire Terrier. The person I got him from said he only ate table food and that was wrong in my book. Once in a while is fine but, every meal is just wrong. Well, I tried to start weaning him off and it was not easy. I bought every kind of dog food there was to be bought. Then I saw Blue Buffalo Wilderness dog food advertised on TV and I bought it. I bought the dry and the canned. I brought it home and I put it in his bowl and I opened the canned and I couldn't get it in his bowl fast enough. He was eating it out of the can. I definitely made the right choice and we will definitely be staying with Blue Buffalo Wilderness! I love it and so does Charlie!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

When we switched to Blue Buffalo Life Protection Senior Chicken and Rice, my 13 yr old English Shepherd was showing signs of dementia, poor eyesight and hearing, arthritis, flea dermatitis and was underweight. It has been about 4 months, and he eats wet and kibble, along with oatmeal and yams/pumpkins, twice daily. All aspects have improved, and he is no longer showing any signs of dementia, day or night. He loves mealtime! We love this product.

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I have been using the Blue Buffalo Dental bones for years. My veterinarian agrees that they have helped my 10 yr old teeth from needing to go under for for a cleaning. I stand behind all Blue Buffalo products and will continue to use for all 4 of my pets.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I had to get my dog weight loss food a few months back and this product was recommended to me. The has already lost 10 pounds! (He is 80 pounds.) He not only is losing weight but he LOVES the food. Great product!

Original review: June 17, 2020

I bought these health treats for my pet Gizmo. He started having vomiting and we took him to our vet and after having a blood transfusion and meds he passed away. These are similar problems others have reported and I wish we would have research these products before giving him these treats. This will be my biggest regret.

Original review: June 16, 2020

We just brought home our boxer pup. He’s 7 weeks old and the breeder had him on Purina Puppy Chow and I decided to go with Blue Buffalo large breed puppy, THINKING blue buffalo was a QUALITY food. I was wrong!! Our lil baby was acting fine the day we brought him home. He was spunky, playful and energetic. By Sunday, just a day and a half later, our baby was MISERABLE???? He had really bad, watery diarrhea. Explosive diarrhea and he started vomiting too. He refused to eat or drink, and became EXTREMELY LETHARGIC!! We honestly thought he got parvo from the several rest stops we had him potty at during our long travels home. He became sicker that day and vomited SEVERAL TIMES. I made him rice and chicken and he ate that, then I got him to finally start drinking water.

That evening I passed on the blue buffalo food and gave him only wet food (Purina Natural) and a few hours later, he started picking up. Thank god our baby made it thru this but I threw the blue buffalo food in the garbage and went out and got Science Diet. Blue buffalo food could have killed our baby if we didn’t realize it was the food. DO NOT BUY THIS BRAND AT ALL, after he started feeling better I saw a post on Facebook about blue buffalo food and treats and how they have caused many pets deaths and illnesses. I cannot believe it’s still being sold and hasn’t been shut down yet!! Now I’m aware of a class action lawsuit against them and recommend anyone currently using blue buffalo, stop now, before it causes irreversible damage to your fur baby!!

Original review: June 14, 2020

More often than not, the 11 LB bag contains virtually no LifeSource Bits. I can turn the bag upside down, shake it etc to see if that distributes the bits but there are still only 1 maybe 2 bits in each cup of food I remove. The Company emphasizes these LifeSource Bits in their advertising and the picture on the bags show multitudes of bits in a handful. I have had a couple of bags in the distant past with a sufficient amount, but now every bag has virtually none. The product is pricey so it should contain what they advertise.

Original review: June 6, 2020

Don’t buy Blue Buffalo. They should NOT be in business. My puppy has had very stinky diarrhea on this food for 7 weeks, since I’ve had him. The puppy pooped large mounds of mush eight times a day and destroyed all my wool rugs. What daily aggravation and stress during corona. My first dog experience, thank you blue buffalo! The moment I switched foods (Royal Canin Gastrointestinal) everything appears perfectly normal, thank God. Can’t comment on long-term effects. This has cost me money on vet bills, probiotics prescribed by the Vet, cost of 1 wool rug and money buying him now gastrointestinal food, and a stiff neck for the past six weeks that I’ve been bending down trying to clean poop. What a shame because he didn’t like the food but loved their treats.

Original review: June 3, 2020

Recently thought my dog could use a treat of something different mixed with her dry food. I got the Blue Buffalo canned dog food at Walmart. I opened the can and it looked like pink paste. It smelled funny but I figured it was just a wet food thing as I had never given her wet food before from a can. She ate it just fine and left some food behind which was expected but licked up the pink paste. That night she had diarrhea and this morning she had it again. I took a shower after cleaning my room twice, went to change the laundry, and came back to a massive pool of vomit. Cleaned again and brought her back into the room. She laid down and passed bloody liquid diarrhea like she couldn't hold it in after only 2 hours of laying down. I took her outside to let her get it all out of her system. She had bloody diarrhea, gas, and vomited 3 more times. Please if you love your animal and your sanity for having an indoor pet/clean house Do Not Feed Them This Food.

Original review: May 21, 2020

Ok I have always fed Purina and felt guilty.. So I started buying grain free BB for my German Shepherds and new puppies! I thought I was being a responsible pet owner! After 2 bag I seen weight loss, awful diarrhea, lethargic and no appetite! It’s cost me vet bills and weight gain on our puppies!!! I’m furious! I want to know with all these complaints why nothing is being done!!! Why is this being ignored!! It’s making pets sick!!'

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information