2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.13/5

Blue Buffalo is a manufacturer of dog and cat foods. Ingredients include high-quality meats, fruits, vegetables, cheese, eggs, fish oil, barley, rye, fava beans, vitamins and mineral supplements. Products are available on the company’s website and through other retailers.

BOTTOM LINE

Blue Buffalo uses high-quality ingredients for its pet food. The company doesn’t use animal byproducts, and it adds vitamins and minerals to provide a balanced diet. There's a range of options for pets of all ages and needs.

PROS

• No filler ingredients
  • Wide selection of food and treats
  • Vitamins and mineral supplements

CONS

• Brand has had recalls
  • Can be expensive

Top Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

We love Blue Buffalo. ... Our vet recommended this brand and we have never used any other. Buying them Blue Buffalo reduces my guilt of not letting them indulge in table scraps because I know I'm feeding them as healthy as I can be.

This is a premium brand, but at a reasonable price point and widely available. Some other recommended brands are quite hard to find! This is grain free and doesn't cause tummy upsets in my sensitive dog.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Shop on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Blue Buffalo dog food

Blue Buffalo dog food

Blue Buffalo is a pet food brand that creates healthy food for dogs and cats. It offers products with targeted formulas for each of your pet’s life stages, and the recipes use natural ingredients that include real meat, fruits and vegetables. Blue Buffalo enlists the help of veterinarians and animal nutritionists to develop its formulas.

Blue Buffalo also has an extensive product variety to keep dogs and cats healthy. For dogs, the company makes dry food, wet food and several types of treats. Its dog treats include crunchy biscuits, soft treats, dental bones, jerky and training treats. For cats, Blue Buffalo offers dry food, wet food, crunchy treats and soft treats.

The company sells multiple formula lines that cater to the specific needs of dogs and cats. These lines include high-protein, grain-free or limited-ingredient diets. There are also formulas based on a pet's age. The company says it makes all products without animal byproducts and uses real meat as the first ingredient.

The dry food also includes Lifesource Bits, a supplement that adds vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to your pet's diet for balanced nutrition.

Blue Buffalo prices

The cost of Blue Buffalo products varies based on several factors, including the type of pet you're shopping for, whether you're buying wet or dry food and the line of food you're buying.

Dry dog food ranges from $12 for a 3-pound bag of small breed dog food to $104 for a 22-pound bag of special-formula food. On average, dry dog food costs between $35 and $55. Wet dog food comes in both large and small sizes and is available in packs of 12 that run between $12 and $35.

Cat food costs vary based on the same factors. Dry food ranges from $9 to $75. On average, expect to pay around $35. For wet food, packs of 24 cost from $15 for regular food to $76 for special-formula food. The average cost of Blue Buffalo wet cat food is between $25 to $35.

Blue Buffalo FAQ

What are the small, dark, round pieces mixed with the kibble in BLUE food?
The small, dark, round pieces mixed with the kibble in Blue Buffalo food are LifeSource Bits. These bits contain vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Veterinarians and animal nutritionists craft the formula, and the bits help boost your pet's immune system to keep them healthy.
Does BLUE pet foods contain chicken or poultry byproduct meals?
BLUE pet foods don’t contain any chicken or poultry byproduct meals.
Does Blue Buffalo offer any products for pets with food sensitivities?
Blue Buffalo has a limited-ingredient line for pets with food sensitivities. BLUE Basics has real turkey or salmon as its top ingredient, and it has no soy, corn, wheat, dairy or eggs.
If I change from one BLUE recipe to another BLUE recipe, do I have to transition for two to three weeks?
Yes. For the best experience, feed your pet a 50/50 mix for two to three weeks. This helps your pet’s digestive system adjust to a new recipe.
Does Blue Buffalo test its food on animals?
Blue Buffalo doesn't use invasive animal testing. Some trials involve pets eating the products, but these tests are performed under optimal conditions to keep pets safe and healthy.

Is Blue Buffalo good?

The attention to detail that Blue Buffalo puts into its formulas is appealing for people concerned about their pet's health. The distinct recipes for different age groups and specific diet restrictions let you find food to fit your pet's particular needs. The company’s commitment to natural and healthy ingredients is another important feature for many pet owners. As always, you should monitor your dog when introducing any new food to make sure they react well to the switch.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

#Our 10 1/2 year old severely diabetic 65 Vizsla/Coonhound mix loves each of the Salmon, Duck and Venison treats. They are a great choice for her based on protein content and kcal count. Each treat contains between 34-41 kcal per treat. We can break them in half and still stay within her recommended feeding content and kcal limits. She gets 2 a day. The salmon, venison and salmon/venison varieties break easily. Duck crumbles.

Original review: July 16, 2020

I have used Blue Buffalo for many years. My cats are healthier, have beautiful soft coats, their eyes are bright. They have less waste in the litter box, because they are digesting and their body's are utilizing all the nutrients. This has no byproducts or added fillers like many other brands. They would eat the other brands, but I won't feed them that. I want them healthy & with our family for as long as possible. Feeding them right, from the start, is the best step in this process, along with regular vet visits. Many loving years to come.

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 15, 2020

After a family friend recommended this cat food, I decided to give my cat this healthy option. After feeding her store bought cat food for so long and checking the ingredients I decided to try to feed my cat the healthy real ingredients food. She loved it and didn't hesitate on eating all the food given to her. I felt happy as much as she was giving her a better healthier option.

Original review: July 6, 2020

Like with any pet food, and the type of pet food, whether dry or canned, Blue Buffalo has good, better, and best foods - I am primarily writing about the canned "kitten" foods that they provide - the kitten salmon canned is of a better version of canned foods, for ingredients and better quality control over its ingredients than some of the other foods that the company produces. The chicken kitten formula in the cans my kitties did not like, but the salmon seemed to be overwhelmingly in its favor for quite a while. :)

Original review: July 5, 2020

I usually buy the sensitive stomach for my very fluffy boy. Because he is a long haired cat he often coughs up hairballs and when he was eating a different brand of cat food he was also coughing up most of his kibble. Since we have changed to the Blue Buffalo sensitive stomach he does not cough up his kibble anymore and his hairballs are less frequent. I think he will always have some hairballs no matter what. I would recommend this brand for owners of long haired cats.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

If you are thinking about using this food OR TREATS DONT! My healthy Rottweiler almost bled to death internally from this junk. Started her on it gradually from 4health by mixing. Once she was on this only she was vomiting pure blood and pooping the same. 4900 dollars later we were able to save her. My vet said we were one of the lucky ones. She now still has stomach problems from what it did to her. If you love your pet DO NOT USE THIS!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

Yesterday, I bought two cans of Blue Buffalo soft dog food as a treat for my dogs. Worst decision I ever made. Both dogs were up all night with diarrhea, every few hours, and both had turned bloody by the morning. We are currently waiting for the emergency vet. Don't do it!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

I have a 4 yrs old Labrador. I switched her to a grain food and within being on this food less than 30 days my dog hates it, didn’t want to eat, she had horrible diarrhea and loose stools. She then has had 4 tremors that I’m still trying to figure out with my vet. All of her blood work is good thank goodness. She has never had tremors before and was the worst thing to experience for me and my sons. My vet recommended for her to not be on any food from Blue Buffalo. Hope this helps.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

I have a nine-month-old shepherd female. We have been feeding her this starting at four months. Sometimes she’s had diarrhea once in a while but now she’s older and in this last month she’s been vomiting and having orange diarrhea. Took it to the vet last week and he told me I need to stop giving her this dog food and gave me a prescription dog food with two different prescription medication.

If the medicine and Dog Food do not help then it’s something wrong with her pancreas. Even though it has been five days her diarrhea is still orange on the meds and on the Prescription dog food. I’m pretty sure it’s from the dog food do not feed your dog stuff. The vet told me there has been a lot of recalls with the stock food a lot of complaints coming in with different patients with stomach issues related to this food. I am very worried about my dog. I love her very much. My kids love her very much. She is a support animal and if this kills her I’m going to sue.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2020

After having tried different dog foods after my German Shepherd reached adulthood. Decided to try Blue Buffalo since all others failed she can be a picky eater. Spending $17 on a 10 lb bag of adult dogfood where other brands would cost under $25 for a 50 lb bag. Currently on day 3 still refusing to eat it. I asked other people at the store they said same thing and too expensive! So the search continues!

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information