2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.63/5

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

Three years ago I adopted a a rescue American Staffordshire Terrier. The person I got him from said he only ate table food and that was wrong in my book. Once in a while is fine but, every meal is just wrong. Well, I tried to start weaning him off and it was not easy. I bought every kind of dog food there was to be bought. Then I saw Blue Buffalo Wilderness dog food advertised on TV and I bought it. I bought the dry and the canned. I brought it home and I put it in his bowl and I opened the canned and I couldn't get it in his bowl fast enough. He was eating it out of the can. I definitely made the right choice and we will definitely be staying with Blue Buffalo Wilderness! I love it and so does Charlie!

Original review: April 14, 2019

We love Blue Buffalo. We have always had dogs and for all of that time we have always bought them Blue Buffalo. Our dog eats the Chicken & Brown Rice. We believe it helps to keep our dogs healthy and vibrant. Our vet recommended this brand and we have never used any other (except with or Bull Dog who gets Royal Cannin). Since our dogs don't get table scraps and I always feel bad that they don't get to "indulge" buying them Blue Buffalo reduces my guilt of not letting them indulge in table scraps because I know I'm feeding them as healthy as I can be.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 9, 2019

We have a 4 year old chocolate lab. We tried a brand recommended by vet, big mistake. Buddy kept throwing up and had diarrhea. We changed to Blue, no more throwing up or diarrhea. He is happy with his food and very active with ball catching, running, hunting and even swimming. We did change vets a couple years ago and he insisted we change to another product. He said the meats in Blue are too fatty. We are so happy with Blue, not sure what to do. My son works for Blue and recommended Blue. He did tell us what products to stay away from and what others are also good for Buddy. My other half thinks we should change but only after we use up the 40 pounds of food we have. I am not sure. When I look at Buddy with his healthy looking fur, muscular body and his being active....just not sure.

Original review: April 4, 2019

We keep Siberian Huskies. Currently, they are in 'personal pet' status (as opposed to 'working dogs') and given the lowered level of physical, activity, we follow careful guidelines as to quantity of food given them daily (half a cup of Blue Buffalo 'Rice and Chicken', Senior, in AM and same amount in PM). This seems to achieve the right balance between nutritional needs and maintenance of ideal body weight. Blue Buffalo 'Rice & Chicken' (Senior) appears to have a good balance of healthful ingredients, but more to the point our dogs love it (no picky-eaters at our house). I see no need to change brands, given our experience with Blue Buffalo Brand dry dog foods and we are quite satisfied with it.

Original review: March 27, 2019

From the day I brought my Border Collie home from the breeder. I fed her Blue Buffalo Puppy food for her first year. Sometimes with Toppers and some without. My Border Collie is Healthy and Happy dog. We have given her no table scraps. We give her meat sometimes and use Blue Buffalo Adult Food as a dry food in her bowl. She never has to gobble her food. She grazes. When she is hungry she eats. When she is not she doesn't. I think with her Blue Buffalo she gets all she needs and is never starving. We keep portioning on the bag. We always have leftover kibble in the bowl at night. She is not overweight and very active. With all the bad reviews I thought the site could use a good one. Happy consumers hardly every post good comments so I thought I would do so.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I bought Blue Buffalo Indoor Hairball and weight Control for my 11 year old cat recently. The store was out of her usual food (Iams weight and hairball control formula). She's not a picky eater, but seemed to always be hungry during the 10 days that she was on Blue Buffalo....whining for more food, but she's a tad overweight, so I did not indulge her with more.

Then she started having loose stools, and tracking litter on her paws out of the litter box and into the house (she accesses her litter box through a cat door into the garage). She was also lethargic, and hiding in places to sleep which she has never done before. Then she had diarrhea on the carpet three times during the night while I slept. Plus, the fur around her anus is caked with stool and she won't let me touch her to clean it up. What a mess! Switching back to her previous food. This is a terrible product. I'm not sure how much laxatives are in it, but it cannot be good for her GI tract nor her kidneys!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

My corgi is nine, perfect health until I gave him these dog treats, now he is sick with blood in his stool, on my way to vet, to see if he is going to live, very sick, loose bloody stools, won't drink or eat today, only thing that changed was the dog treats, please don't use these for your dog. They can kill your pet. And run up your vet cost, if Bo dies I will sue Blue.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Just noticed empty can in trash can- wife gave to dog before she went out shopping. Since she buys crap without reviewing, and I have told her to buy only food made in the US., if she read the label, it says "Manufactured for Blue Buffalo". Something told me the crap was manufactured in China and doubtful of ingredients. As such I went online to check out company, but then decided to type in BB complaints. Came upon this reviews. Some 4-5 stars, tells me they may be from co, since all others are one stars and all dogs seriously ill. If my ** dog, get sick, there will be a lawsuit. I do not understand why any of the above reviewers took no legal action- one mentioned "All of us .....", eg something like class action, but that takes long- I do not see why one does not take action on their own.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

My dog was hospitalized last weekend with pancreatitis. Here is what my vet said: "We see this all the time in dogs that have been on Blue Buffalo for an extended period. Great commercials--bad dog food. Blue Buffalo is too rich for most dogs to tolerate over time." I'm a label reader, and I had not only examined the ingredients but had searched for negative reviews of Blue Buffalo online before feeding it to my beloved German Shepherd/Cattle Dog mix.

Every review I read was positive, so I put him on it, and he's been on it for five years. Turns out, instead of giving him good quality care, I was nearly killing him. (I suspect that Blue Buffalo hires a software company to 'scrub' their bad search engine results, but I can't prove that.) Please, please consult your vet before feeding this dog food. Since my dog was essentially feral when I adopted him, having to hospitalize was torture for everyone involved; he reverted to his wild state, pacing the entire time. They were unable to keep an I.V. in. I am so, so fortunate I didn't lose him.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

My miniature Australian Shepherd would get bored with the same food all the time so we switched around a lot. I got Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula recently and it never seemed to satisfy her, but she seemed ok otherwise. Wednesday, January 8th, 2020, she was fine all day. We walked, she ate and seemed fine. As I was getting out of the shower, I heard her yipping as if in pain. When I got to her, she was gone. I have been reading other posts of adverse reactions, and it makes me wonder. I am already heartbroken over losing my best friend, but if I find out I could have prevented her death, I will be absolutely devastated.

Not sure about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right dog food for you.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information