2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.00/5

Blue Buffalo is a manufacturer of dog and cat foods. Ingredients include high-quality meats, fruits, vegetables, cheese, eggs, fish oil, barley, rye, fava beans, vitamins and mineral supplements. Products are available on the company’s website and through other retailers.

BOTTOM LINE

Blue Buffalo uses high-quality ingredients for its pet food. The company doesn’t use animal byproducts, and it adds vitamins and minerals to provide a balanced diet. There's a range of options for pets of all ages and needs.

PROS

• No filler ingredients
  • Wide selection of food and treats
  • Vitamins and mineral supplements

CONS

• Brand has had recalls
  • Can be expensive

Top Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

We love Blue Buffalo. ... Our vet recommended this brand and we have never used any other. Buying them Blue Buffalo reduces my guilt of not letting them indulge in table scraps because I know I'm feeding them as healthy as I can be.

This is a premium brand, but at a reasonable price point and widely available. Some other recommended brands are quite hard to find! This is grain free and doesn't cause tummy upsets in my sensitive dog.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Shop on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Blue Buffalo dog food

Blue Buffalo dog food

Blue Buffalo is a pet food brand that creates healthy food for dogs and cats. It offers products with targeted formulas for each of your pet’s life stages, and the recipes use natural ingredients that include real meat, fruits and vegetables. Blue Buffalo enlists the help of veterinarians and animal nutritionists to develop its formulas.

Blue Buffalo also has an extensive product variety to keep dogs and cats healthy. For dogs, the company makes dry food, wet food and several types of treats. Its dog treats include crunchy biscuits, soft treats, dental bones, jerky and training treats. For cats, Blue Buffalo offers dry food, wet food, crunchy treats and soft treats.

The company sells multiple formula lines that cater to the specific needs of dogs and cats. These lines include high-protein, grain-free or limited-ingredient diets. There are also formulas based on a pet's age. The company says it makes all products without animal byproducts and uses real meat as the first ingredient.

The dry food also includes Lifesource Bits, a supplement that adds vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to your pet's diet for balanced nutrition.

Blue Buffalo prices

The cost of Blue Buffalo products varies based on several factors, including the type of pet you're shopping for, whether you're buying wet or dry food and the line of food you're buying.

Dry dog food ranges from $12 for a 3-pound bag of small breed dog food to $104 for a 22-pound bag of special-formula food. On average, dry dog food costs between $35 and $55. Wet dog food comes in both large and small sizes and is available in packs of 12 that run between $12 and $35.

Cat food costs vary based on the same factors. Dry food ranges from $9 to $75. On average, expect to pay around $35. For wet food, packs of 24 cost from $15 for regular food to $76 for special-formula food. The average cost of Blue Buffalo wet cat food is between $25 to $35.

Blue Buffalo FAQ

What are the small, dark, round pieces mixed with the kibble in BLUE food?
The small, dark, round pieces mixed with the kibble in Blue Buffalo food are LifeSource Bits. These bits contain vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Veterinarians and animal nutritionists craft the formula, and the bits help boost your pet's immune system to keep them healthy.
Does BLUE pet foods contain chicken or poultry byproduct meals?
BLUE pet foods don’t contain any chicken or poultry byproduct meals.
Does Blue Buffalo offer any products for pets with food sensitivities?
Blue Buffalo has a limited-ingredient line for pets with food sensitivities. BLUE Basics has real turkey or salmon as its top ingredient, and it has no soy, corn, wheat, dairy or eggs.
If I change from one BLUE recipe to another BLUE recipe, do I have to transition for two to three weeks?
Yes. For the best experience, feed your pet a 50/50 mix for two to three weeks. This helps your pet’s digestive system adjust to a new recipe.
Does Blue Buffalo test its food on animals?
Blue Buffalo doesn't use invasive animal testing. Some trials involve pets eating the products, but these tests are performed under optimal conditions to keep pets safe and healthy.

Is Blue Buffalo good?

The attention to detail that Blue Buffalo puts into its formulas is appealing for people concerned about their pet's health. The distinct recipes for different age groups and specific diet restrictions let you find food to fit your pet's particular needs. The company’s commitment to natural and healthy ingredients is another important feature for many pet owners. As always, you should monitor your dog when introducing any new food to make sure they react well to the switch.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: July 16, 2020

I have used Blue Buffalo for many years. My cats are healthier, have beautiful soft coats, their eyes are bright. They have less waste in the litter box, because they are digesting and their body's are utilizing all the nutrients. This has no byproducts or added fillers like many other brands. They would eat the other brands, but I won't feed them that. I want them healthy & with our family for as long as possible. Feeding them right, from the start, is the best step in this process, along with regular vet visits. Many loving years to come.

Original review: July 6, 2020

Like with any pet food, and the type of pet food, whether dry or canned, Blue Buffalo has good, better, and best foods - I am primarily writing about the canned "kitten" foods that they provide - the kitten salmon canned is of a better version of canned foods, for ingredients and better quality control over its ingredients than some of the other foods that the company produces. The chicken kitten formula in the cans my kitties did not like, but the salmon seemed to be overwhelmingly in its favor for quite a while. :)

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 5, 2020

I usually buy the sensitive stomach for my very fluffy boy. Because he is a long haired cat he often coughs up hairballs and when he was eating a different brand of cat food he was also coughing up most of his kibble. Since we have changed to the Blue Buffalo sensitive stomach he does not cough up his kibble anymore and his hairballs are less frequent. I think he will always have some hairballs no matter what. I would recommend this brand for owners of long haired cats.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

Three years ago I adopted a a rescue American Staffordshire Terrier. The person I got him from said he only ate table food and that was wrong in my book. Once in a while is fine but, every meal is just wrong. Well, I tried to start weaning him off and it was not easy. I bought every kind of dog food there was to be bought. Then I saw Blue Buffalo Wilderness dog food advertised on TV and I bought it. I bought the dry and the canned. I brought it home and I put it in his bowl and I opened the canned and I couldn't get it in his bowl fast enough. He was eating it out of the can. I definitely made the right choice and we will definitely be staying with Blue Buffalo Wilderness! I love it and so does Charlie!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

When we switched to Blue Buffalo Life Protection Senior Chicken and Rice, my 13 yr old English Shepherd was showing signs of dementia, poor eyesight and hearing, arthritis, flea dermatitis and was underweight. It has been about 4 months, and he eats wet and kibble, along with oatmeal and yams/pumpkins, twice daily. All aspects have improved, and he is no longer showing any signs of dementia, day or night. He loves mealtime! We love this product.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2020

After having tried different dog foods after my German Shepherd reached adulthood. Decided to try Blue Buffalo since all others failed she can be a picky eater. Spending $17 on a 10 lb bag of adult dogfood where other brands would cost under $25 for a 50 lb bag. Currently on day 3 still refusing to eat it. I asked other people at the store they said same thing and too expensive! So the search continues!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

After reading these other reviews I am both shocked and relieved that my dog isn’t the only one experiencing these symptoms. After a normal day of playing and a long walk about a month ago, she was extremely lethargic, had bloody liquid shooting out of her rear end, and had bloody vomit. After spending $4700 and receiving NO definitive explanation from the vet, I continued feeding this food to her. Today she had bloody stool once again and decided to check reviews. I will be switching her to something else first thing in the morning!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

We opened a new bag of Blue Buffalo Jolly Joints (Lot #20210503 & good through 5/3/21). It had stringy white material attached to the pebbles. Upon further inspection, it was live worms & their weaving.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

I really wish I'd found the reviews listed here before feeding this absolute poison to my dog. I have a 60lb healthy and very active husky (1.5yo). We switched him to Blue Buffalo Life protection 6 weeks ago because he was not finishing his Science Diet dry anymore. He was weird about eating BB's dry food pretty quickly. We thought it was adolescent husky picky eating behavior (which is common).

Last week he began throwing up profusely, every morning at 5am. Each time a stomach full of undigested Blue Buffalo. I don't know why it took so long for the symptoms to appear -- perhaps because he's young and a pretty big dog. But for the last week he threw up every morning, had a runny nose, explosive diarrhea, itchy skin, the works. After 4 days, we took him to the pet ER (he threw up twice that day). X-rays showed nothing. Threw up four more times in a span of 3 days so went back for more tests. Diarrhea and SERIOUS lethargy, which we'd never seen before.

While I was cleaning up his vomit yesterday morning (day 7) I heard his stomach gurgling like howling wind in a blizzard from across the room. 15 seconds of this. I watched him lie on the floor in obvious pain. It dawned on me that nothing was stuck in his stomach and that maybe, just maybe, something is wrong with his food. I googled BB and came across these reviews. I went to Trader Joe's when it opened, got him a bag of their dry chicken meal food and HE'S FINE NOW. 24 hour laters no throw up, no illness, and he's high energy again.

Two hospital visits, $1k spent for X-rays, blood work, fecal samples all over this terrible food brand that was likely destroying my his insides. When I spoke to the vet on the phone she said "Yeah, it might just be the food if it was Blue Buffalo. We have seen many dogs have problems with it, too. Their marketing department makes it seem like their product is much better than it is."

This food is poison and I hope whoever ruined the mix to make a quick buck is held responsible. Avoid this food and keep your pets safe. FWIW, TJ's brand seems great, is cheap ($10/bag), and my dog devours it. Sorry to all those who read these reviews too late. For a minute I thought mine might be dying and it was a truly terrible feeling.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

PLEASE PLEASE IF YOU LOVE YOUR FURBABIES DO NOT USE BLUE BUFFALO. 4 years ago my 3 Papillon dog had to be rushed to the Vet because I bought their food thinking it was a good high quality product. $1000's of dollars later with no reimbursement at all from Blue Buffalo. So I stupidly bought training treats yesterday 9/23/20. Now my Pom Chi has vomited and started with diarrhea after only 4 treats. Will Never Ever buy any products from them again Ever!

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information