2.27/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods

Looking for a good dog food brand?

1916 Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 9, 2019

We have a 4 year old chocolate lab. We tried a brand recommended by vet, big mistake. Buddy kept throwing up and had diarrhea. We changed to Blue, no more throwing up or diarrhea. He is happy with his food and very active with ball catching, running, hunting and even swimming. We did change vets a couple years ago and he insisted we change to another product. He said the meats in Blue are too fatty. We are so happy with Blue, not sure what to do. My son works for Blue and recommended Blue. He did tell us what products to stay away from and what others are also good for Buddy. My other half thinks we should change but only after we use up the 40 pounds of food we have. I am not sure. When I look at Buddy with his healthy looking fur, muscular body and his being active....just not sure.

Original review: April 4, 2019

We keep Siberian Huskies. Currently, they are in 'personal pet' status (as opposed to 'working dogs') and given the lowered level of physical, activity, we follow careful guidelines as to quantity of food given them daily (half a cup of Blue Buffalo 'Rice and Chicken', Senior, in AM and same amount in PM). This seems to achieve the right balance between nutritional needs and maintenance of ideal body weight. Blue Buffalo 'Rice & Chicken' (Senior) appears to have a good balance of healthful ingredients, but more to the point our dogs love it (no picky-eaters at our house). I see no need to change brands, given our experience with Blue Buffalo Brand dry dog foods and we are quite satisfied with it.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 27, 2019

From the day I brought my Border Collie home from the breeder. I fed her Blue Buffalo Puppy food for her first year. Sometimes with Toppers and some without. My Border Collie is Healthy and Happy dog. We have given her no table scraps. We give her meat sometimes and use Blue Buffalo Adult Food as a dry food in her bowl. She never has to gobble her food. She grazes. When she is hungry she eats. When she is not she doesn't. I think with her Blue Buffalo she gets all she needs and is never starving. We keep portioning on the bag. We always have leftover kibble in the bowl at night. She is not overweight and very active. With all the bad reviews I thought the site could use a good one. Happy consumers hardly every post good comments so I thought I would do so.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I adopted a Golden Retriever a couple of years ago. He had major allergy issues. Tried every food I could possibly find that was “advertised” as healthy and specific to allergy issues. Spent hundreds of dollars on vet bills. A friend recommended Blue Buffalo Grain Free. I bought it immediately. After about 2 bags, his constant scratching stopped. I’ve been feeding it for about 2 years and I wouldn’t feed anything else. I will say you have to figure out the correct amount for your pet. Because Blue is made with real meat, you need to feed less.

I was overfeeding mine, thinking it would be the same as my old food and he would throw up. Started feeding half the amount and the throwing up stopped. Because some pets don’t transition well, I added Unsalted canned pumpkin to his diet for about a month to coat his stomach and help with digestion. People should talk to a Blue Buffalo Rep, before deciding on a product, they can help find the right fit. I’m glad I did.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I read a lot of negative reviews about Blue Buffalo dog food so I wanted to share my experience. My pits and bull dog "did great on the the Blue Buffalo Wilderness Adult chicken recipe". I made the mistake and tried another brand of Blue Buffalo which was the chicken and brown rice recipe. Well I learned a valuable lesson!! The brown rice upset the stomachs of my pits and one actually was vomiting. My bull dog had severe diarrhea. I figured out that it was the brown rice in the other formula that was causing these symptoms. My dogs cannot eat brown rice!! It's toxic for them. Since going back to the original formula I had them on, they are all doing great, are happy, and are no longer sick. I will continue giving my fur baby's this food "without the brown rice".

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: July 21, 2019

We recently purchased on 2 separate occasions Life Protection 38lb bag from Sam's Club. The 1st go around we had all 5 dogs each one different purebred breeds get sick. It took a week to get everyone back to normal. We then went on vacation and my mother-in-law purchased the same food from Sam's Club because she thought this is what we were feeding our dogs and sure enough everyone became violently ill including her chow she brought over to stay with our dogs. Buyer Beware. There is something we aren't being told and it all comes down to great marketing by the company. Purchased Wellness brand and no problems whatsoever.

Original review: July 19, 2019

I was using this brand for two years for my hedgehogs, specifically the Blue Wilderness Indoor Chicken cat food. My hedgehogs' stools were heavily stinky and often runny. I noticed my two year old Peanbean started to walk funny but not like wobbly hedgehog syndrome. Like a tumor had formed in her and it was hindering her non-stable. I switched her off the food and as well as Audo and the stools got better and the hedgehogs looked a lot more happier. But unfortunately for Peaner her tumor got too bad and she began hurting herself and had to be put down. I will never recommend this food to anyone.

Original review: July 16, 2019

For the last 7 years our 10 year old Doberman has eaten Blue Buffalo dry food exclusively. In early May she suddenly started having bouts with severe diarrhea. After a number of tests and ultrasound which all were normal we started her on a different food suggested by our veterinarian. After 48 her bowel movements were back to normal. I am sorry to say that we will not be using Blue Buffalo again.

Original review: July 14, 2019

Are used to have my dog exclusively on Blue Buffalo as well as the Blue Buffalo training treats. About six months ago I heard about the problems that the dogs were having so I went to rice and chicken but on Friday I had a put my baby down. He had cancer of the stomach and when I told the doctor that I was feeding him Blue Buffalo and recently took him off he said that that could have been the issue. Blue Buffalo I know my dog was an elderly dog but he had was full of life and if you would’ve so such a bad products you should’ve been more cautious because you calls me my dog and you calls my dog his life.

Original review: July 11, 2019

Our Newfoundland and Border Collie have been on Blue Buffalo the majority of their lives and we've never had a problem. That is, until about two months ago when my Border Collie began having unexplained diarrhea off and on. As they're both active dogs that go on lots of hikes and love to swim, when the Border Collie began having sustained, uncontrolled diarrhea and vomiting, I guessed it was Giardia or some other waterborne bug. Both dogs began exhibiting severe symptoms (i.e. diarrhea everywhere) so I took them to the vet, pulled them off the dog food, and put them on a diet of boiled chicken and rice.

All tests for Giardia came back negative -- but after two weeks on a purely boiled chicken and rice diet, they stabilized and seemed right as rain. Still guessing it was an environmental bug, I placed them back on the Blue Buffalo dog food. Not two weeks later the Newfoundland again is having uncontrolled diarrhea. We will not be feeding our dogs Blue Buffalo again. Dog food was purchased through Amazon.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I had to get my dog weight loss food a few months back and this product was recommended to me. The has already lost 10 pounds! (He is 80 pounds.) He not only is losing weight but he LOVES the food. Great product!

Original review: July 3, 2019

We wanted to switch from Rachael Ray Nutrish to Blue Buffalo to give the dogs some variety. This was hands down the worst mistake we’ve ever made as dog owners. After about 5 days of the dogs going to town on this brand they were suddenly struck with SEVERE GI issues. Keep in mind, I have never written a review on anything in my life, but I wanted to save everyone their sanity. Our dogs are 100% potty trained and annoy the heck out of you when they need to be let out. These poor dogs couldn’t make it to the back door to go outside for 3 days. My entire hallway, kitchen, living room and back door area were literally SPRAYED in diarrhea and vomit. Imagine having an 8 month old baby at home learning to crawl and scoot and both of his best friends are seemingly dying from GI issues.

We had no idea what was going on until yesterday I realized “crap, I hope this isn’t their new food”. I immediately put it on the counter. Ran out, got a couple servings of wet food and a small bag of Rachael Ray, just to see if they could tolerate anything after 3 days of constant emptying of their bowels. They slowly started eating it and have only had one accident since then and have now had a formed BM. Do. Not. Buy. This.

Original review: June 29, 2019

I've always purchased Blue brand dog dry food and never I have encountered issues until now. My 8 year old Shih-Tzu is being plagued with constant diarrhea, vomiting, uneasy stomach, and trouble sleeping in his bed due to all the symptoms mentioned before. I give him only this dry food and I have no doubt this is causing my poor little dog to suffer. I stopped giving him the food after 1 week of this and now he seems to be relieving certain symptoms, still with diarrhea but the vomiting stopped. If you too are encountering this same issue please make sure to report to the FDA and Blue Buffalo pet nutrition/care hotline.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I have raised a golden retriever and feed him bil-jac for 17 years until he passed. He was never sick, acted like a puppy 'til the day he died. We decided to get a new dog, a standard poodle my husband baby which he wanted to give her the best possible food. The breeder was feeding her Blue Buffalo so we decided to try it rather he did. I always was on the bil-jac team. After purchasing a bag close to 50 dollars upon opening a brand new bag I was shocked to find feces in it. Yes feces and it had the same coating on it as the dog food so this had to occur at the processing plant. So God only knows how many bags are out there with feces in them.

I then came upon this page and was shocked to see that I was not the only one to have this happen to. I can’t believe I LITERALLY paid 50 dollars for a bag of **. Please save your money. If you want to feed your dogs ** it’s free. You don’t need to buy this expensive dog food. I have found that Bil-Jac is the best dog food. My dog loves it and again like my previous dog has never been sick. I am so disappointed in blue buffalo. I wanted to call and voice my complaint to them but I read in other many other reviews that they did just that and in their words blue buffalo could care less so I don’t know what to do but write this review which I wish we would have read before spending 50 dollars on a bag of **. So disappointing.

Original review: June 18, 2019

We adopted a dog a couple of months ago and purchased Blue Buffalo chicken and brown rice dry dog food. Within a couple of weeks our new dog became sick with vomiting and loose stools. The vet put him on Hills i/d and he recovered quickly. Nobody knew what had made him sick so as advised we transitioned back to Blue Buffalo over about 3 weeks. Within a few days of reaching 100% Blue Buffalo he started vomiting again. There seems to be a wave of complaints over the last month of people finding their dogs, some of which have been fed Blue Buffalo for years, are suddenly getting sick. In conjunction with their recall 2 years back I won't be buying their products again. Apparently their quality control isn't sufficient.

Original review: June 14, 2019

I have a Terrier mix named Buddy. Buddy is going on 12 years old with never any issues. Because I like most dog owners consider our pets like family I wanted to provide Buddy the best food for him I can buy. After watching a television commercial about Blue Buffalo I decided to try it. I slowly added small amounts of Blue Buffalo with Buddy's usual dry food to wean him onto Blue Buffalo slowly.

Buddy is housebroken and would never go potty inside the house. After about a week Buddy started vomiting and had constant bad diarrhea with mucus and blood. Buddy would sometimes even after very late walks still go potty inside. It was not just one random episode but sometimes 3 or 4 times a night on the carpet. This broke my heart that somehow I took a perfectly fine dog and turned him into something he has never displayed before. I took Buddy to the Vet and he told me I was the eighth dog brought in with the same symptoms. He went on to say that Blue Buffalo was the worst choice of dog food to give to Buddy.

After his weekly medication with a diet of white rice and chicken Buddy is almost back to normal. The vet diagnosed Buddy with Acute Colitis. I am sure some people may have had a different experience but mine is a stern warning to absolutely avoid this dog food. This was an experience that took up way too much time, deep heartbreak, carpet cleaning, vet bill, and unnecessary stress. Now my conscience is clear, you have been warned. Take care.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I have an almost 11 year old Morkie (Yorkie/Maltese mix). I’ve had her on Blue Buffalo products since she was 3-4 years old. Never had issue, until now. She has been experiencing terrible GI issues. Diarrhea on and off. Full of mucus and blood. The stool was black. I took her to the vet and he advised my dog was the 6th dog he treated with GI issues that all were on Blue Buffalo this month alone. He recommended Hill's Science or Royal Canin. I am still not sure I like those brands either. I put her on a home cooked chicken and rice diet and of course on the medications prescribed and she seemed to get better. My mistake was trying to incorporate Blue Buffalo again as that has always been her food. My baby is a senior and GI issues are common, but after incorporating the food again she went right back to the GI problems. Please, do your pet and yourself a favor and steer away from Blue Buffalo to avoid GI issues in the future.

Original review: June 9, 2019

I had switched to Blue Buffalo can food, Wilderness Turkey & Chicken Grill Senior and also Rocky Mountain Red Meat Senior, both in cans. I have 3 cockapoos. Winston developed osterscarama and diarrhea, too sick. He was put to sleep when he couldn't breathe anymore. He had cancer in his throat and esophagus. The others 2 cockapoos had been having tarry black stools, diarrhea and vomiting. One was explosive all over the floor. Both were too sick. I stopped using the cans. I had been feeding them rice, boiled chicken, boiled egg. They are getting better now. Put these food on recall, please....

Original review: June 7, 2019

My Beagle loves the Blue Training treats. We have tried several, and these seem to be his favorite. He begs to train several times a day. He learns to be an obedient pup, and we get a well trained friend for life. Win, win!

Original review: June 6, 2019

I have a 3½ yr old Weimaraner and he had been on Eukanuba since we had got him but our vet suggested we might try and switch him to a little better quality food. So we chose to go with the Blue Buffalo brand, and everything was ok for about the first week, but after that he started getting horrible diarrhea. And we had just got a puppy as a companion for him but unfortunately she had Giardia when we got her, and so we thought maybe he may have picked it up from the new puppy. But we had a stool sample tested for him and the vet said it had came back negative for everything. And the diarrhea had gotten so bad at that point, he was crying while he was pooping.

So we asked the vet what to do and they told us to try and switch foods, so we switched him to Nutro Essentials, which I hear is a pretty good food and what we now have the puppy on as well. And a day and a half after we switched his food, his stools started getting back to normal. And now it has been almost a week and all is good now. I believe it was the Blue Wilderness brand of Blue Buffalo, and I don't know what it was doing to my dog internally, but I'm glad everything seemed to have worked out. Hope this helps others make their decision about dog foods. Oh and I forgot to mention I also noticed around the time when my dog started crying while trying to poop, that a strip of his fur, on top of his head going from ear to ear, had turned colors. It almost looked as if he was losing all the hair in that area. Not sure if it was related, but just thought it was worth mentioning.

Also years ago, when my cousin had just got her puppy, she chose Blue Buffalo and when she poured some into the bowl for her pup, there were 6 or 7 LARGE GOAT TEETH in the food! And yes I'm sure they were goat teeth, we scoured Google to find out what they were. So from my experience, I would recommend that you stay away from the entire line of Blue Buffalo's products at all costs!

Original review: June 3, 2019

I purchased a large bag of Blue buffalo dog food. When I opened the bag, I was shocked to see webbings and maggots throughout the bag. It was disappointing to spend $60 on a big bag of “quality “ dog food and it was full of worms/maggots. I took the dog food back and the cashier said it’s very common to get worms. I have purchased dog food the last 40 years and I have never seen worms/maggots in a brand new bag of dog food. I will no longer by Blue Buffalo dog food. I exchanged it for Science Diet.

Original review: June 1, 2019

There is a true blue promise on the back of the bag of our blue wilderness adult cat food bag. It says no chicken/poultry by product meals. The 2nd ingredient is CHICKEN MEAL. Ummmm... lies? Just saying.

Original review: May 30, 2019

My dogs have been eating Blue Buffalo for years. The Chicken and Brown Rice Healthy weight formula. I purchased a new bag recently and after feeding it to my dogs they became ill. First my little Lhasa Apso Gizmo started vomiting, and diarrhea. He started vomiting blood and we took him to the emergency vet. He was diagnosed with pancreatitis. Now my German Shepherd Mix is having the same issues. I have stopped the food. Would not recommend. This needs to be pulled from the shelves and an investigation into what’s going on. Our vet said to stop feeding this food. We spent hundreds of dollars because of this.

Original review: May 22, 2019

This is the worst dog food ever! Our poor girl had awful diarrhea while eating Blue Buffalo and was very sick. We spent several thousands at the vet and she was eventually diagnosed with pancreatitis. Please do not feed your babies this poison! I even opened a brand new bag of blue kibble and it was INFESTED with bugs! I contacted the company and they could care less! I returned the bag to Petco and was told they are not allowed to take it off the shelf till there are enough complaints or a recall. Well now there have been several recalls but the food remains on many selves. So very sad...

Original review: May 18, 2019

I received my 8week old Morkie for my birthday recently this April after having lost my 15 year old fur baby June of 2018. I thought Blue would be a good choice because that’s what I was feeding my other dog.... boy was I wrong. My Morkie eats it up yeah but he literally eats any and everything. After a few weekend his poops smelt worse and the the diarrhea began. His gas was terrible from day 2 but I figured maybe it was normal because my other dog had bad gas. After a day of diarrhea I took him to the vet because I’m super paranoid. Had him tested and no worms or Parvo (Thank God!) but the diarrhea continued. I was expressing my frustration with a friend at work and she she found out she immediately told me to throw it out and went on to say that it’s happened time and time again to other puppies and even caused liver issues.

My baby is super tiny so I of course won’t leave him at home sick so he was at work with us. I immediately threw out his food and got him Wellness Core which she recommended and it hasn’t been 24 hours yet so I’m waiting for the poops to stop still. But just the fact that this is a common ongoing issue is ridiculous. Like why is this food still being sold.

Original review: April 29, 2019

My 4 years old prince cat was doing wonderful on my Costco food that I feed all my kitties for 15 years. Oh vet bills did kittie rescue that many years. Also all vet checkups wonderful for years. Saw the commercials for Blue Wilderness. Thought was better price. Was not an issue. I wanted the best for my prince. The food was 4 times the price. I did not care. Bought Blue Wilderness adult chicken formula purple bag. Within 6 weeks he was laying in the kitty litter. He could not pee. Rushed him to the vet 3 days later. $900.00 bill pretty much did nothing. Did confirm he had 15 bladder stones not crystals full blown bladder stones. I know they would not dissolve. He was in trouble. I know that surgery is very risky. May have to make him a girl if unsuccessful. A ton more money for an additional surgery thousands when all is said and done if not with the right vet got a referral from my local shelter. A vet that has done that surgery hundreds of times.

Success he is still a boy. Heard this has happened in prior complaints. I saw same thing. Blue Buffalo just kept blowing me off. My vet also forwarded all the information. From my vet he truly was sure that food caused my prince that problem. They did nothing and kept denying everything like others said oh no we have never had a complaint like that. What a company. We should get a class action suit against them. What a horrible company. Shame on them.

Original review: April 28, 2019

I wanted to switch my puppy to Blue Buffalo because my two cats eat it. About 1 week after switching my puppy she started getting a UTI and now it won't go away. It's been three weeks with my puppy on antibiotics and taking a cranberry supplement and I'm switching her to Hill's Puppy Food. I hope she gets better, Blue Buffalo is horrible.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Ingredients great for my dog. I order on Chewy. My dog is satisfied and looks fabulous! His weight is great. His coat is beautiful. I am confident he is receiving the best food available. The price is right and I have dependable delivery.

Original review: April 17, 2019

We used this puppy food formula because we wanted him to continue using the same product he was eating before we adopted him. The food worked fine for the first month, but then our puppy started having extreme diarrhea that would not stop until we changed his diet.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Used for multiple dogs. They have all done well with Blue limited ingredients version. We also prefer the grain free. We buy at Chewy.com or Tractor Supply Co. Slightly more than Purina but we have had good luck with Blue Buffalo.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information