2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

4.0/5 (1676 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Blue Buffalo Pet Foods

Blue Buffalo is a manufacturer of dog and cat foods. Ingredients include high-quality meats, fruits, vegetables, cheese, eggs, fish oil, barley, rye, fava beans, vitamins and mineral supplements. Products are available on the company’s website and through other retailers.

Pros

• No filler ingredients
  • Wide selection of food and treats
  • Vitamins and mineral supplements

Cons

• Brand has had recalls
  • Can be expensive

Bottom Line

Blue Buffalo uses high-quality ingredients for its pet food. The company doesn’t use animal byproducts, and it adds vitamins and minerals to provide a balanced diet. There's a range of options for pets of all ages and needs.

Top Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We love Blue Buffalo. ... Our vet recommended this brand and we have never used any other. Buying them Blue Buffalo reduces my guilt of not letting them indulge in table scraps be...

Verified

This is a premium brand, but at a reasonable price point and widely available. Some other recommended brands are quite hard to find! This is grain free and doesn't cause tummy ups...

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Blue Buffalo dog food

Blue Buffalo dog food

Blue Buffalo is a pet food brand that creates healthy food for dogs and cats. It offers products with targeted formulas for each of your pet’s life stages, and the recipes use natural ingredients that include real meat, fruits and vegetables. Blue Buffalo enlists the help of veterinarians and animal nutritionists to develop its formulas.

Blue Buffalo also has an extensive product variety to keep dogs and cats healthy. For dogs, the company makes dry food, wet food and several types of treats. Its dog treats include crunchy biscuits, soft treats, dental bones, jerky and training treats. For cats, Blue Buffalo offers dry food, wet food, crunchy treats and soft treats.

The company sells multiple formula lines that cater to the specific needs of dogs and cats. These lines include high-protein, grain-free or limited-ingredient diets. There are also formulas based on a pet's age. The company says it makes all products without animal byproducts and uses real meat as the first ingredient.

The dry food also includes Lifesource Bits, a supplement that adds vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to your pet's diet for balanced nutrition.

Blue Buffalo prices

The cost of Blue Buffalo products varies based on several factors, including the type of pet you're shopping for, whether you're buying wet or dry food and the line of food you're buying.

Dry dog food ranges from $12 for a 3-pound bag of small breed dog food to $104 for a 22-pound bag of special-formula food. On average, dry dog food costs between $35 and $55. Wet dog food comes in both large and small sizes and is available in packs of 12 that run between $12 and $35.

Cat food costs vary based on the same factors. Dry food ranges from $9 to $75. On average, expect to pay around $35. For wet food, packs of 24 cost from $15 for regular food to $76 for special-formula food. The average cost of Blue Buffalo wet cat food is between $25 to $35.

Blue Buffalo FAQ

What are the small, dark, round pieces mixed with the kibble in BLUE food?
The small, dark, round pieces mixed with the kibble in Blue Buffalo food are LifeSource Bits. These bits contain vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Veterinarians and animal nutritionists craft the formula, and the bits help boost your pet's immune system to keep them healthy.
Does BLUE pet foods contain chicken or poultry byproduct meals?
BLUE pet foods don’t contain any chicken or poultry byproduct meals.
Does Blue Buffalo offer any products for pets with food sensitivities?
Blue Buffalo has a limited-ingredient line for pets with food sensitivities. BLUE Basics has real turkey or salmon as its top ingredient, and it has no soy, corn, wheat, dairy or eggs.
If I change from one BLUE recipe to another BLUE recipe, do I have to transition for two to three weeks?
Yes. For the best experience, feed your pet a 50/50 mix for two to three weeks. This helps your pet’s digestive system adjust to a new recipe.
Does Blue Buffalo test its food on animals?
Blue Buffalo doesn't use invasive animal testing. Some trials involve pets eating the products, but these tests are performed under optimal conditions to keep pets safe and healthy.

Is Blue Buffalo good?

The attention to detail that Blue Buffalo puts into its formulas is appealing for people concerned about their pet's health. The distinct recipes for different age groups and specific diet restrictions let you find food to fit your pet's particular needs. The company’s commitment to natural and healthy ingredients is another important feature for many pet owners. As always, you should monitor your dog when introducing any new food to make sure they react well to the switch.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: June 29, 2021

I have three cats, two of which are special needs. I was feeding my cats a different brand and two of them were always vomiting and one of them was always lazy. When I switched to Blue Buffalo, the vomiting stopped and my lazy cat (Fluffy) has more energy. Fluffy seemed to be sickly before and now she is doing better than ever. I definitely recommend Blue Buffalo cat food.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

#Our 10 1/2 year old severely diabetic 65 Vizsla/Coonhound mix loves each of the Salmon, Duck and Venison treats. They are a great choice for her based on protein content and kcal count. Each treat contains between 34-41 kcal per treat. We can break them in half and still stay within her recommended feeding content and kcal limits. She gets 2 a day. The salmon, venison and salmon/venison varieties break easily. Duck crumbles.

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 20, 2021

I've been a loyal customer of Blue Dog Food for 10+ years now. I ran across a rebate offer through Petco for Blue Dog Food around March, 2021, purchased requested items, and submitted rebate request with receipt via text option. When I didn't receive a response I followed up by re-submitting via text along with submission by email. Still nothing, so I sent a few requests for follow-up. I never heard a peep UNTIL June 19, 2021, when the response was TOO LATE, THE RECEIPT SUBMITTED DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH INFO AND NOW I'VE MISSED THE DEADLINE. WOW, no response till now, the receipt submitted was a copy of the entire Petco receipt, and you show I submitted everything prior to deadline, yet unwilling to honor the offer. I'm sorry, this seems very Shady to me.

Despite proof of submission, no response, follow-up after follow-up, and still just a denial months after the fact. It was time to repurchase food and although I didn't have time to research a new product, and implement the gradual change, it's something that has been on my mind and now I WILL. I opted to purchase the smallest bag available today from Walmart to allow me time to do this. I will begin my research tomorrow, and switch to something better. I'm quite sure my loss of business will cost more in a week's time than the rebate that should have been honored.

Original review: May 17, 2021

I had went out and got a new puppy for my little Margalo to play with. She was only 5 months. Well I was told that our new puppy was on Blue. So I go out and buy Blue Buffalo puppy formula. One day Margalos belly is swollen. Rushed her to the Vet. Thought she had parasites. Mind you she was just taken to the vet in February for a full check up plus vaccinations. No heart problems of any kind. She was healthy. Well after the dewormer vet 2 gave her, a week later she retains fluid. Rushed her back to vet 2. She has a heart murmur and was retaining fluid. I had to euthanize her. Thanks Blue. I lost my baby at 5 months old.

Original review: May 5, 2021

Just don't. I could go on about what my dog has been going through the last 5 days (I did. Then deleted it). Believe all the bad reviews. If you love your pet. Then please. DON'T FEED THIS TO YOUR DOG!!!!

Original review: March 6, 2021

Blue Buffalo nearly killed my senior shih tzu and my poodle puppy. I moved to a small town where I did not have access to the PetSmart I was used to shopping for dog food. I had Wal-mart or Tractor Supply to choose from. tractor supply seemed to have some better brands so I switched my dogs to Blue Buffalo. I wish I had researched first because I would have saved thousands of dollars and the health of my dogs.

The first bag was slowly introduced with the other food. The first month eating the food my 3 pound poodle was at the vet with vomiting and diarrhea. By the second month my teenaged shih tzu was at the vet with her, vomiting and diarrhea. It never crossed my mind that what I was feeding them was causing my dogs to be ill. Fast forward to Christmas Eve and I have my dog at the emergency vet, the shih tzu is in agony, has the most foul stool and is vomiting. The vet was telling me to prepare myself for the worst. My dogs' liver tests results were very bad.

After I told the vet that both of my dogs had been sick and I was feeding them "good food", the vet told me stop feeding the Blue Buffalo immediately. I switched my dogs to another food recommended by the vet, and it's like my teenaged shih tzu is a new dog. Instead of sleeping all day and crying when someone touches her, she is wagging her tail again. No more vomiting and diarrhea.

Emergency vet bill $800. Spending Xmas eve at the dog hospital. Hundreds spent at the regular vet over 3 separate appointments. It should be illegal to sell this food. I took the almost full bag back to tractor supply and requested my money back. It took an argument with the manager and them telling me that she doubted it was the food that made my pets sick. Feed this to your dog, and it WILL make them sick.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

If you are thinking about using this food OR TREATS DONT! My healthy Rottweiler almost bled to death internally from this junk. Started her on it gradually from 4health by mixing. Once she was on this only she was vomiting pure blood and pooping the same. 4900 dollars later we were able to save her. My vet said we were one of the lucky ones. She now still has stomach problems from what it did to her. If you love your pet DO NOT USE THIS!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

Yesterday, I bought two cans of Blue Buffalo soft dog food as a treat for my dogs. Worst decision I ever made. Both dogs were up all night with diarrhea, every few hours, and both had turned bloody by the morning. We are currently waiting for the emergency vet. Don't do it!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

I have a 4 yrs old Labrador. I switched her to a grain food and within being on this food less than 30 days my dog hates it, didn’t want to eat, she had horrible diarrhea and loose stools. She then has had 4 tremors that I’m still trying to figure out with my vet. All of her blood work is good thank goodness. She has never had tremors before and was the worst thing to experience for me and my sons. My vet recommended for her to not be on any food from Blue Buffalo. Hope this helps.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

I have a nine-month-old shepherd female. We have been feeding her this starting at four months. Sometimes she’s had diarrhea once in a while but now she’s older and in this last month she’s been vomiting and having orange diarrhea. Took it to the vet last week and he told me I need to stop giving her this dog food and gave me a prescription dog food with two different prescription medication.

If the medicine and Dog Food do not help then it’s something wrong with her pancreas. Even though it has been five days her diarrhea is still orange on the meds and on the Prescription dog food. I’m pretty sure it’s from the dog food do not feed your dog stuff. The vet told me there has been a lot of recalls with the stock food a lot of complaints coming in with different patients with stomach issues related to this food. I am very worried about my dog. I love her very much. My kids love her very much. She is a support animal and if this kills her I’m going to sue.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2020

After having tried different dog foods after my German Shepherd reached adulthood. Decided to try Blue Buffalo since all others failed she can be a picky eater. Spending $17 on a 10 lb bag of adult dogfood where other brands would cost under $25 for a 50 lb bag. Currently on day 3 still refusing to eat it. I asked other people at the store they said same thing and too expensive! So the search continues!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

After reading these other reviews I am both shocked and relieved that my dog isn’t the only one experiencing these symptoms. After a normal day of playing and a long walk about a month ago, she was extremely lethargic, had bloody liquid shooting out of her rear end, and had bloody vomit. After spending $4700 and receiving NO definitive explanation from the vet, I continued feeding this food to her. Today she had bloody stool once again and decided to check reviews. I will be switching her to something else first thing in the morning!

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information