2.56/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

1898 Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 9, 2019

We have a 4 year old chocolate lab. We tried a brand recommended by vet, big mistake. Buddy kept throwing up and had diarrhea. We changed to Blue, no more throwing up or diarrhea. He is happy with his food and very active with ball catching, running, hunting and even swimming. We did change vets a couple years ago and he insisted we change to another product. He said the meats in Blue are too fatty. We are so happy with Blue, not sure what to do. My son works for Blue and recommended Blue. He did tell us what products to stay away from and what others are also good for Buddy. My other half thinks we should change but only after we use up the 40 pounds of food we have. I am not sure. When I look at Buddy with his healthy looking fur, muscular body and his being active....just not sure.

Original review: April 4, 2019

We keep Siberian Huskies. Currently, they are in 'personal pet' status (as opposed to 'working dogs') and given the lowered level of physical, activity, we follow careful guidelines as to quantity of food given them daily (half a cup of Blue Buffalo 'Rice and Chicken', Senior, in AM and same amount in PM). This seems to achieve the right balance between nutritional needs and maintenance of ideal body weight. Blue Buffalo 'Rice & Chicken' (Senior) appears to have a good balance of healthful ingredients, but more to the point our dogs love it (no picky-eaters at our house). I see no need to change brands, given our experience with Blue Buffalo Brand dry dog foods and we are quite satisfied with it.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 27, 2019

From the day I brought my Border Collie home from the breeder. I fed her Blue Buffalo Puppy food for her first year. Sometimes with Toppers and some without. My Border Collie is Healthy and Happy dog. We have given her no table scraps. We give her meat sometimes and use Blue Buffalo Adult Food as a dry food in her bowl. She never has to gobble her food. She grazes. When she is hungry she eats. When she is not she doesn't. I think with her Blue Buffalo she gets all she needs and is never starving. We keep portioning on the bag. We always have leftover kibble in the bowl at night. She is not overweight and very active. With all the bad reviews I thought the site could use a good one. Happy consumers hardly every post good comments so I thought I would do so.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I adopted a Golden Retriever a couple of years ago. He had major allergy issues. Tried every food I could possibly find that was “advertised” as healthy and specific to allergy issues. Spent hundreds of dollars on vet bills. A friend recommended Blue Buffalo Grain Free. I bought it immediately. After about 2 bags, his constant scratching stopped. I’ve been feeding it for about 2 years and I wouldn’t feed anything else. I will say you have to figure out the correct amount for your pet. Because Blue is made with real meat, you need to feed less.

I was overfeeding mine, thinking it would be the same as my old food and he would throw up. Started feeding half the amount and the throwing up stopped. Because some pets don’t transition well, I added Unsalted canned pumpkin to his diet for about a month to coat his stomach and help with digestion. People should talk to a Blue Buffalo Rep, before deciding on a product, they can help find the right fit. I’m glad I did.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I read a lot of negative reviews about Blue Buffalo dog food so I wanted to share my experience. My pits and bull dog "did great on the the Blue Buffalo Wilderness Adult chicken recipe". I made the mistake and tried another brand of Blue Buffalo which was the chicken and brown rice recipe. Well I learned a valuable lesson!! The brown rice upset the stomachs of my pits and one actually was vomiting. My bull dog had severe diarrhea. I figured out that it was the brown rice in the other formula that was causing these symptoms. My dogs cannot eat brown rice!! It's toxic for them. Since going back to the original formula I had them on, they are all doing great, are happy, and are no longer sick. I will continue giving my fur baby's this food "without the brown rice".

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: May 22, 2019

This is the worst dog food ever! Our poor girl had awful diarrhea while eating Blue Buffalo and was very sick. We spent several thousands at the vet and she was eventually diagnosed with pancreatitis. Please do not feed your babies this poison! I even opened a brand new bag of blue kibble and it was INFESTED with bugs! I contacted the company and they could care less! I returned the bag to Petco and was told they are not allowed to take it off the shelf till there are enough complaints or a recall. Well now there have been several recalls but the food remains on many selves. So very sad...

Original review: May 18, 2019

I received my 8week old Morkie for my birthday recently this April after having lost my 15 year old fur baby June of 2018. I thought Blue would be a good choice because that’s what I was feeding my other dog.... boy was I wrong. My Morkie eats it up yeah but he literally eats any and everything. After a few weekend his poops smelt worse and the the diarrhea began. His gas was terrible from day 2 but I figured maybe it was normal because my other dog had bad gas. After a day of diarrhea I took him to the vet because I’m super paranoid. Had him tested and no worms or Parvo (Thank God!) but the diarrhea continued. I was expressing my frustration with a friend at work and she she found out she immediately told me to throw it out and went on to say that it’s happened time and time again to other puppies and even caused liver issues.

My baby is super tiny so I of course won’t leave him at home sick so he was at work with us. I immediately threw out his food and got him Wellness Core which she recommended and it hasn’t been 24 hours yet so I’m waiting for the poops to stop still. But just the fact that this is a common ongoing issue is ridiculous. Like why is this food still being sold.

Original review: April 29, 2019

My 4 years old prince cat was doing wonderful on my Costco food that I feed all my kitties for 15 years. Oh vet bills did kittie rescue that many years. Also all vet checkups wonderful for years. Saw the commercials for Blue Wilderness. Thought was better price. Was not an issue. I wanted the best for my prince. The food was 4 times the price. I did not care. Bought Blue Wilderness adult chicken formula purple bag. Within 6 weeks he was laying in the kitty litter. He could not pee. Rushed him to the vet 3 days later. $900.00 bill pretty much did nothing. Did confirm he had 15 bladder stones not crystals full blown bladder stones. I know they would not dissolve. He was in trouble. I know that surgery is very risky. May have to make him a girl if unsuccessful. A ton more money for an additional surgery thousands when all is said and done if not with the right vet got a referral from my local shelter. A vet that has done that surgery hundreds of times.

Success he is still a boy. Heard this has happened in prior complaints. I saw same thing. Blue Buffalo just kept blowing me off. My vet also forwarded all the information. From my vet he truly was sure that food caused my prince that problem. They did nothing and kept denying everything like others said oh no we have never had a complaint like that. What a company. We should get a class action suit against them. What a horrible company. Shame on them.

Original review: April 28, 2019

I wanted to switch my puppy to Blue Buffalo because my two cats eat it. About 1 week after switching my puppy she started getting a UTI and now it won't go away. It's been three weeks with my puppy on antibiotics and taking a cranberry supplement and I'm switching her to Hill's Puppy Food. I hope she gets better, Blue Buffalo is horrible.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Ingredients great for my dog. I order on Chewy. My dog is satisfied and looks fabulous! His weight is great. His coat is beautiful. I am confident he is receiving the best food available. The price is right and I have dependable delivery.

Original review: April 17, 2019

We used this puppy food formula because we wanted him to continue using the same product he was eating before we adopted him. The food worked fine for the first month, but then our puppy started having extreme diarrhea that would not stop until we changed his diet.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Used for multiple dogs. They have all done well with Blue limited ingredients version. We also prefer the grain free. We buy at Chewy.com or Tractor Supply Co. Slightly more than Purina but we have had good luck with Blue Buffalo.

Original review: April 15, 2019

We alternate between different flavors for variety, and Blue Buffalo makes that easy to do. Our dog has thrived on this regimen. Her energy, coat and demeanor are what we watch for in our dog, and Blue Buffalo meets those needs.

Original review: April 14, 2019

We love Blue Buffalo. We have always had dogs and for all of that time we have always bought them Blue Buffalo. Our dog eats the Chicken & Brown Rice. We believe it helps to keep our dogs healthy and vibrant. Our vet recommended this brand and we have never used any other (except with or Bull Dog who gets Royal Cannin). Since our dogs don't get table scraps and I always feel bad that they don't get to "indulge" buying them Blue Buffalo reduces my guilt of not letting them indulge in table scraps because I know I'm feeding them as healthy as I can be.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Even though this food is "more expensive" than say the generic "WalMart" brand, I end up using about a 1/3 of the amount that would be given with the generic brands. Further, the dog seems to be much more "alive", frisky and better natured than when he was on generic food.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Was using a different brand and found out the ingredients were not as described. Switched to Blue Buffalo. My dog is doing very well. Does not act like she is 11 years old. Will play until I get too tired and still wants to play.

Original review: April 12, 2019

It’s the only dog food I found, so far, for my current dogs that keeps them from scratching. When I adopted them they had a lot of skin problems, and when I started using Blue Buffalo grain free and they got better pretty quickly and have been better ever since.

Original review: April 11, 2019

This is a premium brand, but at a reasonable price point and widely available. Some other recommended brands are quite hard to find! This is grain free and doesn't cause tummy upsets in my sensitive dog.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Doesn't seem consistent in freshness but that might be the place where I purchase have had to return. But they make the only senior with lower protein and best choice of ingredients. Have one very senior dog that needs no corn or wheat and low protein and I choose not to feed junk food. It is hard to find food made in USA and then you really don't know where the ingredients all come from.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I buy the small breed chicken and oatmeal flavor. I like that the kibble is small for my three small dogs. Even their adult flavors have small size morsels. Blue also offers grain-free or regular. My vet does not recommend grain-free foods, so we continue to use Blue. Other brands are just so expensive. One of my dogs can't eat chicken, so Blue offers a lamb kibble in small bites.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Great because my dog loves his food and Blue Buffalo has great ingredients and most stores stock it. Not the low cost dog food, but the price is worth it for me and my dog. Have been using Blue Buffalo for over 7 years of my dogs about eight years of life. He is in good health and happy.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I have had no problems with Blue Buffalo. My dog seems healthy and happy with the taste. I love the fact it says no artificial flavors and colors added. The extra ingredients are antioxidants that some dog foods don't have. I like the different flavors to choose from. Blue Buffalo also offers a weight loss formula which has helped my dog lose weight. I recommend this dog food to all my friends and family.

Original review: April 9, 2019

My dogs love the food. I have no complaints. They use outside toilet very well, lol. They are bite size chunks. It's not too hard for my dogs to chew. I believe other dog owners would be very satisfied.

Original review: April 8, 2019

We've enjoyed the quality of ingredients, prices of product, repeatability of product quality, packaging and availability of this of all Blue Buffalo brand dog food for almost 10 years now. We have specifically used the Rice and Chicken flavored dog food for Small Breed dogs beginning with the puppy stage, through adult stage and not on to Senior Stage. As our Jack Russell Terrier has gotten older we've realized he needed supplemental nutrition for his joints. A combination of over the counter glucosamine chondroitin pills and the Blue Buffalo Senior Small Breed dog food has reduced if not eliminated his joint issues.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I find it provides superior quality and is a product my dog seems to always enjoy. Though a bit more expensive than some, I find it worth it. They also have a wide variety of dog foods that provide a plethora of heal benefits so you can feel better about what you are feeding your dog.

Original review: April 7, 2019

My three dogs refused to eat it. One took mouthful and then spit it out and drank plenty of water. I spent a lot of money and the Pet Store refused to give me my money back. So I now feed them Children Livers for $1.89 a carton and they love it.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Q: LET'S WRAP THIS UP. PLEASE DESCRIBE YOUR EXPERIENCES WITH THIS BRAND OF DOG FOOD. THIS IS WHERE YOU CAN REALLY TELL US HOW YOU FEEL. REMEMBER, DETAILS MAKE THE DIFFERENCE. WHEN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE PLEASE INCLUDE ENOUGH OF A DESCRIPTION TO BE HELPFUL FOR OTHERS. (MINIMUM 100 WORDS)

Original review: April 6, 2019

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods caused chronic diarrhea in my dogs, lead to pancreatitis, then diabetes. Worst food on the planet, and they lie about the ingredients in all varieties of their dog kibble.

Original review: April 5, 2019

Blue Buffalo is a brand I can trust. When they were puppies we used another brand initially and both were having reactions. We looked at Blue Buffalo's ingredients and changed over to the Puppy dry dog food. My pets' issues resolved and we have never looked back. We moved them to the Adult dry food, and in the past few years weight for each dog became an issue, so they were changed to the Healthy Weight dry dog food. I would never change them to anything else. They waiting for the dishes to go down and chow.

Original review: April 3, 2019

My veterinarian D. ** told me about it. I was feeding him Purina Pro Plan since he was a puppy. From 2008-2014. Blue Buffalo has limited ingredient. He has dry skin and allergy. He love Blue Buffalo because it has more healthy ingredient for his skin and coat and for his hip and joints.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information