2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.88/5

Blue Buffalo is a manufacturer of dog and cat foods. Ingredients include high-quality meats, fruits, vegetables, cheese, eggs, fish oil, barley, rye, fava beans, vitamins and mineral supplements. Products are available on the company’s website and through other retailers.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Shop on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: July 3, 2020

One of my four cats decided that Blue Buffalo cat food was her only choice and went on a food strike when her food was switched. Once I figured it out, we switched back and she was much better. She just passed away at 19 years old. The other cats still eat this food.

Original review: July 2, 2020

My two cats have been eating Blue Buffalo grain free chicken wet food for as long as I can remember. They meow for it every day. I keep a plentiful number of cans in my pantry so that I never run out of their favorite food.

Original review: June 17, 2020

I bought these health treats for my pet Gizmo. He started having vomiting and we took him to our vet and after having a blood transfusion and meds he passed away. These are similar problems others have reported and I wish we would have research these products before giving him these treats. This will be my biggest regret.

Original review: June 16, 2020

We just brought home our boxer pup. He’s 7 weeks old and the breeder had him on Purina Puppy Chow and I decided to go with Blue Buffalo large breed puppy, THINKING blue buffalo was a QUALITY food. I was wrong!! Our lil baby was acting fine the day we brought him home. He was spunky, playful and energetic. By Sunday, just a day and a half later, our baby was MISERABLE???? He had really bad, watery diarrhea. Explosive diarrhea and he started vomiting too. He refused to eat or drink, and became EXTREMELY LETHARGIC!! We honestly thought he got parvo from the several rest stops we had him potty at during our long travels home. He became sicker that day and vomited SEVERAL TIMES. I made him rice and chicken and he ate that, then I got him to finally start drinking water.

That evening I passed on the blue buffalo food and gave him only wet food (Purina Natural) and a few hours later, he started picking up. Thank god our baby made it thru this but I threw the blue buffalo food in the garbage and went out and got Science Diet. Blue buffalo food could have killed our baby if we didn’t realize it was the food. DO NOT BUY THIS BRAND AT ALL, after he started feeling better I saw a post on Facebook about blue buffalo food and treats and how they have caused many pets deaths and illnesses. I cannot believe it’s still being sold and hasn’t been shut down yet!! Now I’m aware of a class action lawsuit against them and recommend anyone currently using blue buffalo, stop now, before it causes irreversible damage to your fur baby!!

Original review: June 14, 2020

More often than not, the 11 LB bag contains virtually no LifeSource Bits. I can turn the bag upside down, shake it etc to see if that distributes the bits but there are still only 1 maybe 2 bits in each cup of food I remove. The Company emphasizes these LifeSource Bits in their advertising and the picture on the bags show multitudes of bits in a handful. I have had a couple of bags in the distant past with a sufficient amount, but now every bag has virtually none. The product is pricey so it should contain what they advertise.

Original review: June 6, 2020

Don’t buy Blue Buffalo. They should NOT be in business. My puppy has had very stinky diarrhea on this food for 7 weeks, since I’ve had him. The puppy pooped large mounds of mush eight times a day and destroyed all my wool rugs. What daily aggravation and stress during corona. My first dog experience, thank you blue buffalo! The moment I switched foods (Royal Canin Gastrointestinal) everything appears perfectly normal, thank God. Can’t comment on long-term effects. This has cost me money on vet bills, probiotics prescribed by the Vet, cost of 1 wool rug and money buying him now gastrointestinal food, and a stiff neck for the past six weeks that I’ve been bending down trying to clean poop. What a shame because he didn’t like the food but loved their treats.

Original review: June 3, 2020

Recently thought my dog could use a treat of something different mixed with her dry food. I got the Blue Buffalo canned dog food at Walmart. I opened the can and it looked like pink paste. It smelled funny but I figured it was just a wet food thing as I had never given her wet food before from a can. She ate it just fine and left some food behind which was expected but licked up the pink paste. That night she had diarrhea and this morning she had it again. I took a shower after cleaning my room twice, went to change the laundry, and came back to a massive pool of vomit. Cleaned again and brought her back into the room. She laid down and passed bloody liquid diarrhea like she couldn't hold it in after only 2 hours of laying down. I took her outside to let her get it all out of her system. She had bloody diarrhea, gas, and vomited 3 more times. Please if you love your animal and your sanity for having an indoor pet/clean house Do Not Feed Them This Food.

Original review: May 21, 2020

Ok I have always fed Purina and felt guilty.. So I started buying grain free BB for my German Shepherds and new puppies! I thought I was being a responsible pet owner! After 2 bag I seen weight loss, awful diarrhea, lethargic and no appetite! It’s cost me vet bills and weight gain on our puppies!!! I’m furious! I want to know with all these complaints why nothing is being done!!! Why is this being ignored!! It’s making pets sick!!'

Original review: April 27, 2020

TLDR; ** Blue Buffalo/Wilderness pet food. DON'T FEED THIS TO YOUR PETS. My cat (Pixel) had two seizures in the past week and a half. He is okay right now but he has a vet appointment tomorrow. So less than a couple of weeks ago I switched Pixel to Blue Wilderness - Grain Free - Chicken cat kibble. The day AFTER he started eating it... he had a seizure. Within a few minutes after his seizure, he became aware and normal again. I called his vet and they said since he is so young it may have consumed something toxic and to monitor him. If he had another one to bring him in for blood work. All was normal and things were looking up until Saturday morning when he had another seizure. I have an appointment for some testing tomorrow.

Since the first incident, I've been wracking my brain on what it could have been. Then I remembered the NEW food. And I pulled up reviews for the cat food today and I am LIVID. Blue Buffalo/Wilderness is KILLING pets. Dogs and cats. I just read a bunch of reviews about heartbreaking stories of people's animals getting horribly ill. This includes the death of people's best fur friends. Blue Buffalo has also gone under some lawsuits but still, this stuff sells?! I dumped all of it in the garbage after reading all of these horrifying reviews this morning. I feel so AWFUL about feeding poison to my poor little guy for a week and a half. This needs to be brought to the light. You can find these horror story reviews all over the internet. Please don't feed this to your fur babies!

Original review: April 27, 2020

Just wondering if anyone else noticed a change in canned cat Denali Dinner when General Foods purchased Blue Buffalo? My senior loved food, then last year threw up food. Of course I tried another can purchased at another store. Same reaction. Tried a third time. Cat sniffed and won't eat. Since it was the only Blue Buffalo that she would eat, just curious if anyone else noticed a change in recipe?

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information