2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.26/5

Blue Buffalo is a manufacturer of dog and cat foods. Ingredients include high-quality meats, fruits, vegetables, cheese, eggs, fish oil, barley, rye, fava beans, vitamins and mineral supplements. Products are available on the company’s website and through other retailers.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Shop on Chewy

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: March 31, 2020

I have three bags delivered. One bought at store. The three bags delivered created extreme Gastric events for all three of my dogs. The same brand (different lot) I purchased from another store did not have undesirable effects on the three. In my opinion Blue Buffalo's certificate of analysis need to be reviewed and researched. This recipe so to speak is compromised somehow. Pets are family and their nutrition is just as important as humans. Please perform due diligence on certificates of analysis from blue buffalo manufacturing!

Original review: March 25, 2020

I have a beautiful 4 year old Rottweiler. We started Blue Buffalo grain free beef. Many years with this brand. My Hershey ate it with no problem. Just last month we noticed the kibble was different. Smaller in size. Quite different looking. Hershey ate slower and even left some in her bowl which she never does. I contacted the company and they did not admit to any change in the formulation. Sent pictures of the kibble, UPC code and date of purchase as per their request. Meanwhile, my dog having explosive diarrhea. Like a fountain. Very gassy too. Highly unusual. I’m very displeased with the company. Raw diet for my girl now.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

We make homemade food for our Maltese as we have found over the years that many dog foods cause urinary and kidney issues with him. A couple of months ago, we ran out of his homemade food, so gave him the soft canned food (a couple of different flavors) for 3 days and he was having literal EXPLOSIVE diarrhea where he could barely make it to the door. And afterwards he sat there for minutes pushing so hard to try to get more out that he was squealing painfully. About a week after I stopped giving it to him, he was finally back to more normal bowel movements. My sister has also been having issues with it recently affecting her dogs (with both hard and soft/canned foods). I wish I could give a 0 rating as I will never give this food to my pet again or any future pets for that matter. Our pets are family and something needs to be done about this before more families lose their loving pets (the reviews especially most recently are astounding).

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

I have been feeding my dogs Blue Buffalo for about 6-8 months. One gets the dry dog food in the dark blue bag. The other cannot chew kibble so she is getting the canned version. Initially it seemed to agree with them but as of late both of my dogs are experiencing vomiting with mucous, diarrhea with mucous that is blood tinged and lethargy. I have spoken to my vet, as there doesn't appear to be anything else wrong with them and happens shortly after they eat. We are changing their food right away to see if this helps.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

I rarely go online to review products that I use or have used, but after the experience I had with Blue Buffalo Dog Food, I feel I must share this so other dog lovers can make an informed decision. In short, I say stay away from this dog food. My Cocker Spaniel, Jessie, had been eating this dog food (in a blue bag) for two weeks. He first had problems with defecating all over the house, but we thought it may have been due to a change in his diet. Then just this Sunday, after feeding Jessie Blue Buffalo for breakfast, he started shaking from side to side, then for most of the day, defecating and throwing up the food. He was also lethargic and slow moving all day long (this is an extremely active and fast moving dog, and slow movements is out of character for him). When you touched him, he would shake violently and yelp in pain. Late in the evening, after another round of defecation, Jessie yelped frighteningly, started breathing hard and died that night.

Watching our Jessie suffering this way and then losing him was wrenching for our whole family. It was a horrific death and reading these reviews of other families whose dogs and cats suffered from this food makes us wonder why this food is still on the shelves (and still heavily advertised on TV.) My advice to you if you are reading this and are looking for food for your pet, stay away from anything made by Blue Buffalo. There are other quality dog foods out there. You don't want to put your pet through what our Jessie went through up until his last few minutes on this earth.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I switched my boy to Blue Life Protection dry food and their canned food. About a day after he ate it he started to get diarrhea. It's been about 3 days and he hasn't ate any of it. He has been vomiting and puking. There is a lot of blood in his stool now also. He just lays around and you can tell he is in pain. I don't have money for a vet so I'm praying he pulls thru this... Don't ever buy this brand. I've read many reviews of the exact same thing happening to other dogs from the Blue brand dog food.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I noticed our dog had been a little lethargic lately and had been a bit thirsty lately but I thought he was a little under the weather. I never imagined it was his dog food and that it was slowly poisoning him. Our dog became sicker and started vomiting, then bloody diarrhea, it got out of control. His liver and kidneys started shutting down. There was nothing the vet could do to help us. I had been feeding Blue Buffalo small bites to my dog since birth and had no idea I had been poisoning him. When I contacted Blue Buffalo, they said they had not had any other reports of problems and then I began researching and found all of these other similar reports. Our poor Smokey was such a very special dog and we were just devastated. He is gone forever.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

My pomeranian had been vomiting on and off and had mucous in his stool while on Blue Buffalo healthy weight. September 2019 had to take him to the vet. He was getting lethargic and stopped eating. The blood work showed he has pancreatic issues and it was pretty severe. No funds to place him in the hospital, my vet set me up to care for him at home. It is February and he is still not back to normal on his blood tests for the pancreas. We are hoping the medication will help him recover completely, but I am not sure. My female pomeranian now has liver issues. All this at the same darn time.

They said if they didn't improve on the medication they would need different treatments (more costly). She will be on liver medication the rest of her; life. My golden retriever had mucous in her stool. She now had thyroid issues and will be on medication the rest of her life. I kept a watch over them and we had to go to the rice and chicken diet a lot. I didn't know what was happening. Thanks Blue Buffalo. My poor babies are not OK because of your food products. Medication monthly cost $165.00 plus a special prescription diet of of $165.00 month.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

Our 2 year old Chocolate lab has been eating Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight formula for about the last 6-8 months. I received a new bag from Amazon last week and the day after his first meal from that new bag the adventure began. He has never had any diarrhea, but since opening that bag he had nothing but, he is now on a bland diet and we will introduce him to a new food slowly. We will never buy another Blue Buffalo product.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

I started my dog on the Blue Buffalo and he had a seizure for the first time in his life. He is a nine year old dog and has been healthy up until Blue Buffalo. Turns out my sister in law worked for Blue Buffalo and said they used to spray insect repellent directly on the dog food and ship it out. They had a roach infestation problem. This is sick and disheartening and hope no one else feeds this to their dogs!

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information