Blue Buffalo Pet Foods

Compare Dog Food

Research top Dog Food recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have 2 dogs, a 13 yr old and a 3 yr old... They both love the Blue Buffalo food. They both benefit from the vitamins and antioxidants. Their coats are shinier and softer. They love the taste and it is good for them. It is the best food. No grains, real meat, high protein. And vitamins/antioxidants. Who could ask for more?

Switching Blue Buffalo was the best thing that I ever did for my guys! Their coat is in better shape --- soft, not dry and very healthy looking. It is much healthier for them and very nutritious. Everything my dogs eat is from Blue! It is a pricey, but my kids are worth it!

When we got Luke, I researched what food is best for him. The ingredients are the most important. They seem to use good ingredients without having a lot of useless fillers. I also looked at reviews from many websites. Even though Blue Buffalo had a few recalls, I felt they met most of what I felt was the best food on the market. Luke seems to like it, and I am happy with their product.

I have two female wolves and a large breed Alaskan malamute, all of them like Blue Buffalo. I started buying this brand six yrs ago when I got the wolfs, I was told by the vet not to give them dog food with soy in it. I never noticed before, my malamute seems to like it best also.

Really thought I was doing a good job feeding my dog strictly Blue Buffalo chicken. He has been on it for 8 months when Nov 2016 he started having trouble peeing. Thought it was a urinary tract infection but soon discovered he had a large stone in his bladder. Currently this stone is in testing so we can find out what cause this. 2,000.00 dollars on vet bills and dog will be on CD formula from Science Diet. BUYER BEWARE. FOOD SHOULD BE TAKEN OFF THE MARKET.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Upon deciding to change our Golden Retriever's dog food, we selected Blue Buffalo Freedom Beef dog food. We started with a very small amount mixed in with his regular dog food. That night our dog became extremely agitated and started pacing the room with very foul smelling gas. We could hear his stomach gurgling and churning and he started making a strange noise from his mouth. We immediately went outside with him, and he began to vomit. During the night he again became sick and had diarrhea all over our house. We found him under the Christmas tree - hiding and ashamed. We immediately started him on a rice and chicken diet for the next two days and he returned to good health. We thought it might be the new food, but couldn't believe such a small amount could make him so sick. On the third day we tried 1/8 cup with 1 cup of his regular food.

We began to smell the foul smelling gas, heard the rumbling and grumbling in his stomach and immediately took him outside, where again he had loose diarrhea. We returned to the rice and chicken diet for the next day and started him back on his old dog food the second day. He seems to be feeling much better and I type this review. Lesson learned - NEVER again will we buy this brand of dog food! We have a wonderful program here in our city where the Meals on Wheels delivers food to the housebound Senior Citizens and also delivers dog food to the house if the housebound senior has a dog. It is a wonderful organization and is entirely funded by dog food donations. Many housebound seniors have dogs who are their only companions. I will not even donate this full 30 lb bag of dog food to this wonderful organization. Shame on you Blue Buffalo.

A couple of years ago I was looking for a different cat food to feed my 3 cats as the one I was using was being discontinued. I decided to try Blue Menu based on their TV ads. It sounded like the perfect food. Well, two of my cats didn't like it but the third loved it and couldn't seem to get enough of it. I kept a separate dish of food for the other two hoping I could convince them to eat Blue Menu eventually too. Mocha, the cat that loved it, within a short period of time, about 3 weeks, started having health issues. He became lethargic, his coat became dry and lackluster and his eyes dull, he started losing weight and then he started to have seizures. A visit to the vet and blood tests showed nothing abnormal and the vet told me to keep a journal and closely monitor him.

I then began to realize that this all started when I changed his food to Blue Menu so I immediately stopped feeding it just in case. It was the only thing I could think of that was different for him. Once I stopped the food he stopped throwing up and did not have any more seizures. It was a long slow haul, in fact it took months, but he gradually gained back his weight, got the shine back in his coat and a brighter look in his eye. I firmly believe that had I continued on with that food he would have been dead within two weeks. He was 15 at the time and is 17 now and a healthy boy. I was fortunate at the time that my other two refused to eat the food. I have read that the Blue Buffalo company doesn't even test their products. It infuriates me when I see their ads on TV and consumers are bombarded with them. Please do not feed your animals any of their products. It may not affect them the way it did mine but it isn't worth the risk.

I have been feeding my dog Blue Buffalo for the last 5 years. We switched our dog to the senior food about 1 year ago and never had any problems. The last bag I purchased (about 2 weeks ago) from PetSmart have cause our dog some issues. She has repeatedly vomited after eating. This has never happened before. We have stopped giving her snacks and treats since she got sick to try and figure out what is going on with her and we have concluded that it is the dog food. We have been limiting her food to watch when she eats. She is not eating much because she knows what will happen...absolutely heartbreaking to watch her. We will no longer purchase Blue Buffalo and will make sure everyone we know will know why!

This food was all my dog's littermate ate. He's obese which is sad because they are a little over a year old. Since Blue Buffalo was on sale and my dog is a picky eater I figured she would like it because her brother just chows it down. She actually did like it BUT after a few days there was a smell in my house. I thought my dog had pooped in the house. It turned out that she was passing gas that smelled horrible. I asked my buddy about her brother and he said he changed food because of it. I thought maybe this will pass. I was wrong. My dog's stools began to get looser to the point I started to get really worried. Then she had a bout of diarrhea. She also started scratching herself silly, something she never did before eating Blue Buffalo.

I took the food back to the pet store, switched her back to her previous food and no problems. With all of the advertising that Blue Buffalo does you think they could make decent food. I do not consider a dog food that causes a dog to pass gas and has poop so loose that you can't pick it up to be acceptable. Plus the large volume of her stools suggested LOTS of fillers. For a expensive dog food I find this totally unacceptable. BTW her previous and everyday food is not related to Purina in any way so that debunks that conspiracy. She is back to her normal self, I received a full refund from the pet store so I am not out anything. The only thing that bothers me is I put my dog through a rough time feeding an overhyped and overadvertised food. Whenever I see the Blue commercials I think "feed your dog the OTHER food". You will avoid problems.

I read several reviews before writing this COMPLAINT. My lab became very ill several weeks ago - chronic diarrhea, lethargic, weight loss, dehydrated and the list goes on. Spent close to $2,000 in vet bills for tests, X-rays, ultrasound, hospital stay and medicine. Would not eat. The ultrasound revealed that his intestines were inflamed and his blood proteins were very low. Tried plain boiled chicken and rice. Realized after he ate the Blue Buffalo Senior Chicken and Brown Rice he immediately went outside and was horribly sick. Spoke with vet and immediately stopped feeding the dog food; however, I was still giving him Blue Wilderness treats.

I had to go out of town and paid for someone at my vet's office to stay with my animals. He immediately made the connection with the treats making him sick. Bear was scheduled for a $4,000 surgery to biopsy his intestines this week. Thankfully I received my Christmas wish/miracle and he is now doing much better on prescription Purina dog food (yep the brand that Blue says is so horrible in their commercials). I beg you to stop feeding Blue to your fur children!!!

First time to purchase Blue Buffalo. Very upset that after giving my 4 yr old Maltese only one of the weight appropriate dental bones she became near lethargic. She barely walked... walked as if drunk. Completely not herself! I will be returning the product and never purchasing from this company again! Please take this as a warning on this product!

My cat started scratching as if allergic when started on Blue. She got diarrhea and she then refused to use the litter box for bowel movements. Was put on 10 day regimen of ** and on day 8 got better. But she now acts leery of me due to thinking I am bringing more med and she clearly has been traumatized. She is petite but has good appetite even now but my vet said "No more Blue Buffalo". A lot of his patients have been ill. Don't have to tell me twice. She is still not quite herself but I am feeding Nutrisca chicken formula by Catswell available at Chewy.com but my grocery store carries it too. I have 4 cats.

My little Maxwell, well he is 15 pounds of love, had such a hard time enjoying his food. I even went to the vet to get him a bag of food they recommended. I then decided to get a bag of Blue Buffalo for cats and he LOVES his food. I literally have to get him to slow down and he runs to the bowl when I fill it for him. I have read the reviews and do not understand where all this is coming from UNTIL I read a competitor is suing them; now it makes sense... When you start reading the reviews they all sound the same... Will I stop buying Maxwell his food? No way and I'm sure he would drive himself, if he could, just to pick up a bag.

A friend recently commented that I was feeding my dog an "extremely terrible" product. I did some research and have been on many different sites. There appears to be a broad spectrum of comments but on this site the majority are negative. I couldn't be happier with Blue Buffalo. Our dog is healthy, energetic and silky soft. My daughter and dad also feed Blue Buffalo. Both of their dogs are doing great and look amazing. Just wanted to offer a positive review.

My 11 year old papillon has been suffering from chronic diarrhea and vomiting from eating moist food for the last three years. I decided to switch her over to a dry formula. I was given some samples at a pet store for Blue Wilderness. At first she wouldn't eat it. However, I was determined and she started eating Blue Wilderness, chicken recipe, slowly but surely. Lately, I've been seeing that she becomes lethargic after eating and starts biting herself (she has no fleas). During the night I placed my hand on her side and felt small tremors. She did not have these prior to eating this food. Could this food be causing the tremors? I'm afraid that if I continue on this food, that the tremors will get worse and become seizures. Has anyone had this same issue? I switched her over to another brand of dry dog food this morning. I am very concerned about all these side effects that I am reading about-- from eating any Blue Buffalo, Blue Wilderness products!

My Great Pyreneese is a 3-year old rescue and very undernourished when we got him. Blue Buffalo is always my food of choice. Blue Buffalo Basic, Lamb and Potato, for large dogs. All the necessary vitamins, minerals needed. Was not long and you could see the difference---his eyes were brighter, his coat soft and healthy and so much energy! I've been using Blue Buffalo for a long time and all my pets are healthy and beautiful! They have a variety of choices. It is a little pricey, but my guys are worth it and I know what they are eating is good for them!

I have been using BB for years without issue, however, I recently attempted to change my 11 year old Ridgeback's BB to the BB Blue Senior Dog Chicken & Brown Rice. Initially, she did not want to eat it, which is not her normal behavior. She then ate it, after eating for several days (each day her being hesitant to eat the food) she started vomiting excessively. I pulled her off the food, but retained it, just in case it was something else causing the issue. I changed her over to BB Grain free Lamb and her vomiting stopped. I ran out last night of her good food, so tested a theory (don't judge me please) and gave her half a cup of the Senior BB Chicken & Brown Rice... She vomited that up. So never again for that type of BB, but I have been hearing so many bad things about BB in general of late, I am no longer going to be a customer of BB. Need to do my research to find a good grain free, not garbage food.

I recently switched (and yes I did it slowly over the course of a couple of weeks) my month old rottie to large breed chicken and rice... He started getting diarrhea almost immediately but we continued thinking it would eventually go away... Yesterday I completely stopped feeding him the blue and his stools started to harden up... Today they are 100 times better. Can't believe a food of this quality could do this to a dog. What is really in that food???

Blue Buffalo should be taken off the market. It's making pets sick and costing pet owners money. I had to rush my cat to ER center in Indianapolis. They suggest I call my local vet. We had to leave him to do test because they ask what food we buy our cats. They told us to get rid of the food right away. It's making cats sick and dogs. We do not know how much it will cost or even if the cat will make it. The cat is a baby doll Persian.

I'm only here to advise all people who have cats to stay away from Blue Pet Food. I gave this to my cat over two years ago and he was so sick. Diarrhea and vomiting. I thought I was going to lose him. My Vet said change his food and I did and he was better immediately. Two years later was offered Blue with a $4.00 coupon so I bought again. SAME Results. Friends have also reported this happened to them. If you truly love your pet stay away from Blue Pet Food!

Basics Turkey and Potato Indoor Mature for Cats - My poor baby. She has had diarrhea and is dehydrated as well as lethargic and not moving that much after feeding her this JUNK! Took her off, and fed her something else. Went to the vet, after $300 found nothing wrong. She finally recovered after being fed other food. Started her back on Basics and guess what, she's sick again with diarrhea. Called the company and left a message since it was a Sunday. I want my money back AND the $ I paid for her vet bills. Horrible food. Never again. I hope the "executives" of this company choke on THEIR food. DISGUSTING. I am livid!

I gave a 2.5 year old female Golden Retriever. She is very healthy and active. I started BB approx. 1 week ago. She has vomited multiple times and had non-stop diarrhea. I thought at first it was switching foods but after a week I decided to Google the change. I will be switching brands and putting her on bland diet. I wish I would have read reviews prior. She is my world! Horrible that they know this going on. People are losing their pets.

My three Chihuahuas love Blue Buffalo. It's easy to pick up at Petco and they have lots of different flavors and styles for all the stages of your pet's life. They have stayed healthy for over ten years on Blue Buffalo and we hope for many more.

Blue Buffalo No Grain Large Breed Dry Adult Food. The product seems to be great for maintaining my dog's weight. She has a beautiful coat of hair, very energetic and seemingly healthy. The only downside to using Blue Buffalo is that my dog is displaying some sort of food allergy that causes her to itch. The vets I have taken her to have no idea what it is and nor do I, but it is worse on other dogs foods. She gets really bad diarrhea and the itching.

We rescued two puppies from Spain and switched them to Blue Buffalo because we felt it was a better quality and got swindled by the review sites more than likely being paid to review them so well. Please, choose a better food. Soon after our second puppy arrived is when we switched their food and then got blood work done about a week later. The doctor said his kidneys were failing and that we needed to switch him to a food with less protein. It may have just been that he has health issues, but then 3 days ago our first puppy got terribly sick. She was hardly drinking, felt incredibly hot, wouldn't eat, completely lethargic. So we waited till morning and took her to the vet. They gave her antibiotics and she seemed to be getting better. Then we fed her the BB and she went right back into being sick only worse this time with a fever of 105.4. For those who don't know, 106 is when permanent organ damage can be done (assuming they live).

So she has been at the vet hooked up to an IV and luckily we got the call that her fever is subsiding and hopefully we can pick her up tomorrow. But I cannot stress enough how scared we were that she might pass. After reading (actual) horrible reviews, I am completely disgusted BB could get away with still pushing their product. Of course it will not affect every dog adversely, but if you love your best friend and want to avoid terribly heartbreaking vet visits please consider a different brand.

I switched to the Blue Buffalo cat litter after receiving a coupon to try it. I use probably half of the kitty litter I was using before I switched and there is no longer any litter box smell in my home. As a cat owner, you get used to the smell, but I hate that visitors would notice it. After the switch, visitors don't even know I have a cat until they see her. So much more than what I thought cat litter could be.

One month ago I fed my service dog Blue Buffalo dog food. She had seizures, vomiting, panting, and more. By the end of the night she had died. I feel the manner of the way my service dog died was horrible, and not acceptable. If I would of known there was even a slight chance of her ever being sick or dying from this dog food, I would of never taken the chance. This makes me so upset and confused. I need my service dog, and now I have also lost my best friend. I'm lost and my pain deepens each day. : (

WOW! What a horrible experience my two dogs death was. Both my two dogs just died after eating Blue Buffalo Dry Dog Food. We spent so much money trying to save them, but they passed away. My dogs death was painful for them to say the least, as well as painful for myself and my wife. What my dogs went through after eating Blue Buffalo Dry Dog food, were massive seizures. They lost all mobility, and panting, vomiting, severe stomach pain and more.

What we are going through doesn't compare what the two girls went through. But, I cry all the time and my wife cant quit crying. These two dogs were our life, and the way and manner of which they died is unacceptable. I have read so many reviews and talked to so many people in the last weeks of many dogs sicken or dying after eating Blue Buffalo Dry Dog Food. I would of never fed this dog food to my dog if I had even known there was a possibility of any type of sicken or death. We now are not celebrating the holidays for there is nothing to celebrate! This is so horrible and should be considered a crime!

We didn't realize, we'd accidentally switched from our regular Blue Buffalo cat food to the company's indoor cat formula. Suddenly, our three year old cat started acting funny. He was short tempered for a few weeks, but nothing totally out of character. We began to suspect he had urinary crystals and went to town to purchase new food. Shortly after we came home, we realized he was completely blocked, panting, yowling in pain. I wish I'd checked the reviews before. They aren't good. They're known liars and what's in the label isn't what's in the bag. He was so young and seemed perfectly healthy and very strong, not overweight. There was no loss or change of appetite, no movement or posture changes, no trouble with the stairs or jumping up into my bed. He just kept going in the box on Sunday, and he clearly couldn't go. Now, he's gone.

We had our dogs on a very expensive dog food from a pet specialty store and our dogs developed diarrhea. We switched recommended by a friend to Blue Buffalo and their poops were perfect. So happy we switched despite the negative reviews. Always remember every dog is different. Thank you Blue Buffalo!

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Profile