2.7/5 (3678 ratings)
Find a Dog Food partner

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Blue Buffalo Pet Foods

Blue Buffalo is a manufacturer of dog and cat foods. Ingredients include high-quality meats, fruits, vegetables, cheese, eggs, fish oil, barley, rye, fava beans, vitamins and mineral supplements. Products are available on the company’s website and through other retailers.

Pros

• No filler ingredients
  • Wide selection of food and treats
  • Vitamins and mineral supplements

Cons

• Brand has had recalls
  • Can be expensive

Bottom Line

Blue Buffalo uses high-quality ingredients for its pet food. The company doesn’t use animal byproducts, and it adds vitamins and minerals to provide a balanced diet. There's a range of options for pets of all ages and needs.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

Blue Buffalo is remarkable brand that took my blue nose pitbull skin condition from mangy to flawless. The blue buffalo we used was the salmon flavor and unlike other brands, not only did the it cure his skin allegedly but he loved it as if it was a treat. We could not be more thankful to blue buffalo for the wonderful line of dog food which saved us thousands of dollars in finding his allergy issue at the veterinarian.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

Yes, this Blue Buffalo dog food is one of the best dog foods I've ever found. They have made a food for every dog in mind, from puppies to the old and elderly dog. It's all natural dog food. Has over 160 ingredients for your dog. When it's being made they use low heat, being careful not to lose all the goodness in the ingredients. It's called cold formed. They keep in mind of the immune health of your dog. The life stage of your dog, and the healthy oxidative balance. It's truly amazing how it's all done. So if you'd like to truly like your dog to be happy and healthy then feed your dog blue buffalo today. You and your dog won't be disappointed. Check them out today.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

The dog food was grain-free and really suited the German Shepherds that we had. One of the dogs had an allergy that seemed to flair up unless she ate their dog food. The salmon in particular was a favorite.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

Very good quality and our dog loves it, especially the turkey & chicken grill. The food use real meat with no by-products, real vegetables with no grain. No artificial flavor or preservatives. A protein-rich and grain-free food.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

Both of my Jack Russells developed diarrhea. After E/R services, which did nothing, but that's another story, our regular vet said that Blue Buffalo had allegedly changed their preservatives and it was causing severe diarrhea amongst dogs. We quit the Blue Buffalo. The diarrhea stopped albeit $800 later. I made a claim with Blue Buffalo and sent them a LOT of documentation which they had required. After several months they said that their "legal" had denied the claim. They offered free product. You can imagine what I told them to do with it.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

My cats do very well on the indoor dry food. No furball issues either. Our litter boxes are not as full as my friends, who feeds a popular grocery store brand. I'm sticking with quality! It's healthier and less expensive in the long run!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

Given that I am not typically a big eater, my humans were pleasantly surprised to find that I gobbled up my Blue Buffalo meal. The chicken flavor is quite savory and the texture of the kibble reminds me of the socks that I like to pick up and move around the house. My humans are interested in getting another bag when this one runs out, but they worry a little about the FDA investigation into a link between heart disease and grain-free dog food. They just want the best for me, but honestly it's a risk I'm willing to take. -Milo

Original review: June 29, 2021

I have three cats, two of which are special needs. I was feeding my cats a different brand and two of them were always vomiting and one of them was always lazy. When I switched to Blue Buffalo, the vomiting stopped and my lazy cat (Fluffy) has more energy. Fluffy seemed to be sickly before and now she is doing better than ever. I definitely recommend Blue Buffalo cat food.

Original review: June 20, 2021

I've been a loyal customer of Blue Dog Food for 10+ years now. I ran across a rebate offer through Petco for Blue Dog Food around March, 2021, purchased requested items, and submitted rebate request with receipt via text option. When I didn't receive a response I followed up by re-submitting via text along with submission by email. Still nothing, so I sent a few requests for follow-up. I never heard a peep UNTIL June 19, 2021, when the response was TOO LATE, THE RECEIPT SUBMITTED DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH INFO AND NOW I'VE MISSED THE DEADLINE. WOW, no response till now, the receipt submitted was a copy of the entire Petco receipt, and you show I submitted everything prior to deadline, yet unwilling to honor the offer. I'm sorry, this seems very Shady to me.

Despite proof of submission, no response, follow-up after follow-up, and still just a denial months after the fact. It was time to repurchase food and although I didn't have time to research a new product, and implement the gradual change, it's something that has been on my mind and now I WILL. I opted to purchase the smallest bag available today from Walmart to allow me time to do this. I will begin my research tomorrow, and switch to something better. I'm quite sure my loss of business will cost more in a week's time than the rebate that should have been honored.

Original review: May 17, 2021

I had went out and got a new puppy for my little Margalo to play with. She was only 5 months. Well I was told that our new puppy was on Blue. So I go out and buy Blue Buffalo puppy formula. One day Margalos belly is swollen. Rushed her to the Vet. Thought she had parasites. Mind you she was just taken to the vet in February for a full check up plus vaccinations. No heart problems of any kind. She was healthy. Well after the dewormer vet 2 gave her, a week later she retains fluid. Rushed her back to vet 2. She has a heart murmur and was retaining fluid. I had to euthanize her. Thanks Blue. I lost my baby at 5 months old.

Original review: May 5, 2021

Just don't. I could go on about what my dog has been going through the last 5 days (I did. Then deleted it). Believe all the bad reviews. If you love your pet. Then please. DON'T FEED THIS TO YOUR DOG!!!!

Original review: March 6, 2021

Blue Buffalo nearly killed my senior shih tzu and my poodle puppy. I moved to a small town where I did not have access to the PetSmart I was used to shopping for dog food. I had Wal-mart or Tractor Supply to choose from. tractor supply seemed to have some better brands so I switched my dogs to Blue Buffalo. I wish I had researched first because I would have saved thousands of dollars and the health of my dogs.

The first bag was slowly introduced with the other food. The first month eating the food my 3 pound poodle was at the vet with vomiting and diarrhea. By the second month my teenaged shih tzu was at the vet with her, vomiting and diarrhea. It never crossed my mind that what I was feeding them was causing my dogs to be ill. Fast forward to Christmas Eve and I have my dog at the emergency vet, the shih tzu is in agony, has the most foul stool and is vomiting. The vet was telling me to prepare myself for the worst. My dogs' liver tests results were very bad.

After I told the vet that both of my dogs had been sick and I was feeding them "good food", the vet told me stop feeding the Blue Buffalo immediately. I switched my dogs to another food recommended by the vet, and it's like my teenaged shih tzu is a new dog. Instead of sleeping all day and crying when someone touches her, she is wagging her tail again. No more vomiting and diarrhea.

Emergency vet bill $800. Spending Xmas eve at the dog hospital. Hundreds spent at the regular vet over 3 separate appointments. It should be illegal to sell this food. I took the almost full bag back to tractor supply and requested my money back. It took an argument with the manager and them telling me that she doubted it was the food that made my pets sick. Feed this to your dog, and it WILL make them sick.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

If you are thinking about using this food OR TREATS DONT! My healthy Rottweiler almost bled to death internally from this junk. Started her on it gradually from 4health by mixing. Once she was on this only she was vomiting pure blood and pooping the same. 4900 dollars later we were able to save her. My vet said we were one of the lucky ones. She now still has stomach problems from what it did to her. If you love your pet DO NOT USE THIS!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

#Our 10 1/2 year old severely diabetic 65 Vizsla/Coonhound mix loves each of the Salmon, Duck and Venison treats. They are a great choice for her based on protein content and kcal count. Each treat contains between 34-41 kcal per treat. We can break them in half and still stay within her recommended feeding content and kcal limits. She gets 2 a day. The salmon, venison and salmon/venison varieties break easily. Duck crumbles.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

Yesterday, I bought two cans of Blue Buffalo soft dog food as a treat for my dogs. Worst decision I ever made. Both dogs were up all night with diarrhea, every few hours, and both had turned bloody by the morning. We are currently waiting for the emergency vet. Don't do it!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

I have a 4 yrs old Labrador. I switched her to a grain food and within being on this food less than 30 days my dog hates it, didn’t want to eat, she had horrible diarrhea and loose stools. She then has had 4 tremors that I’m still trying to figure out with my vet. All of her blood work is good thank goodness. She has never had tremors before and was the worst thing to experience for me and my sons. My vet recommended for her to not be on any food from Blue Buffalo. Hope this helps.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

I have a nine-month-old shepherd female. We have been feeding her this starting at four months. Sometimes she’s had diarrhea once in a while but now she’s older and in this last month she’s been vomiting and having orange diarrhea. Took it to the vet last week and he told me I need to stop giving her this dog food and gave me a prescription dog food with two different prescription medication.

If the medicine and Dog Food do not help then it’s something wrong with her pancreas. Even though it has been five days her diarrhea is still orange on the meds and on the Prescription dog food. I’m pretty sure it’s from the dog food do not feed your dog stuff. The vet told me there has been a lot of recalls with the stock food a lot of complaints coming in with different patients with stomach issues related to this food. I am very worried about my dog. I love her very much. My kids love her very much. She is a support animal and if this kills her I’m going to sue.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2020

After having tried different dog foods after my German Shepherd reached adulthood. Decided to try Blue Buffalo since all others failed she can be a picky eater. Spending $17 on a 10 lb bag of adult dogfood where other brands would cost under $25 for a 50 lb bag. Currently on day 3 still refusing to eat it. I asked other people at the store they said same thing and too expensive! So the search continues!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

After reading these other reviews I am both shocked and relieved that my dog isn’t the only one experiencing these symptoms. After a normal day of playing and a long walk about a month ago, she was extremely lethargic, had bloody liquid shooting out of her rear end, and had bloody vomit. After spending $4700 and receiving NO definitive explanation from the vet, I continued feeding this food to her. Today she had bloody stool once again and decided to check reviews. I will be switching her to something else first thing in the morning!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

We opened a new bag of Blue Buffalo Jolly Joints (Lot #20210503 & good through 5/3/21). It had stringy white material attached to the pebbles. Upon further inspection, it was live worms & their weaving.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

I really wish I'd found the reviews listed here before feeding this absolute poison to my dog. I have a 60lb healthy and very active husky (1.5yo). We switched him to Blue Buffalo Life protection 6 weeks ago because he was not finishing his Science Diet dry anymore. He was weird about eating BB's dry food pretty quickly. We thought it was adolescent husky picky eating behavior (which is common).

Last week he began throwing up profusely, every morning at 5am. Each time a stomach full of undigested Blue Buffalo. I don't know why it took so long for the symptoms to appear -- perhaps because he's young and a pretty big dog. But for the last week he threw up every morning, had a runny nose, explosive diarrhea, itchy skin, the works. After 4 days, we took him to the pet ER (he threw up twice that day). X-rays showed nothing. Threw up four more times in a span of 3 days so went back for more tests. Diarrhea and SERIOUS lethargy, which we'd never seen before.

While I was cleaning up his vomit yesterday morning (day 7) I heard his stomach gurgling like howling wind in a blizzard from across the room. 15 seconds of this. I watched him lie on the floor in obvious pain. It dawned on me that nothing was stuck in his stomach and that maybe, just maybe, something is wrong with his food. I googled BB and came across these reviews. I went to Trader Joe's when it opened, got him a bag of their dry chicken meal food and HE'S FINE NOW. 24 hour laters no throw up, no illness, and he's high energy again.

Two hospital visits, $1k spent for X-rays, blood work, fecal samples all over this terrible food brand that was likely destroying my his insides. When I spoke to the vet on the phone she said "Yeah, it might just be the food if it was Blue Buffalo. We have seen many dogs have problems with it, too. Their marketing department makes it seem like their product is much better than it is."

This food is poison and I hope whoever ruined the mix to make a quick buck is held responsible. Avoid this food and keep your pets safe. FWIW, TJ's brand seems great, is cheap ($10/bag), and my dog devours it. Sorry to all those who read these reviews too late. For a minute I thought mine might be dying and it was a truly terrible feeling.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

PLEASE PLEASE IF YOU LOVE YOUR FURBABIES DO NOT USE BLUE BUFFALO. 4 years ago my 3 Papillon dog had to be rushed to the Vet because I bought their food thinking it was a good high quality product. $1000's of dollars later with no reimbursement at all from Blue Buffalo. So I stupidly bought training treats yesterday 9/23/20. Now my Pom Chi has vomited and started with diarrhea after only 4 treats. Will Never Ever buy any products from them again Ever!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

My husband & I purchased Blue Wilderness dog food for our 7 year old Wemerainer. Our poor dog broke out into hives all over her body, ears, mouth, and legs. She was constantly scratching, shaking her head, and biting her paws. Her ears were red and her eyes were red at times. She also had lots of smelly gas, loose stools, & wasn’t eating well. We discontinued the food and returned our dog to Purina One Lamb & Rice. Thankfully, she’s on the mend now and her hives and symptoms are improving. Stay away from this dog food!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

Horrible. This brand is KILLING MY DOG!! My French bulldog/pug normal 21lbs has gone down to 16lbs in 2 months! This brand is killing her and losing weight and muscle mass at a rate I’ve never seen before. Do not buy!! She started a new food from the vet today, and had blood work done to see if this is reversible. Horrible horrible horrible product!! After speaking to friends who’ve had their dogs on this brand, it’s caused them to throw up and become sick as well!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

Recently, after switching to Blue Buffalo, one of our cats died due to cardiac arrest while getting surgery to remove an obstruction (because of a UTI). I am obviously very upset and heartbroken that our cat has passed away, but can't say for sure if it was the food or not. The reason I am still giving 3 stars is because of Blue Buffalo's service when I called after having read all of these reviews. The person I spoke with said they have received no calls recently. However, all of these reviews are fairly recent. Nothing I do will bring my cat back. But leaving a review and not letting the company know, will NOT inform them of issues, which could save other animal's lives in the process.

Everyone has the right to grieve in their way, but please consider informing them if you believe it was the food because the service I received was reassuring and I felt like they did really care about my situation and my cat, and now they are aware and can look into the issue reported to prevent any further issues if they are food related. I am deeply sorry to all who have lost an animal, I really do understand that pain.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

I switched from Iams dry cat food (which they were doing great on) for both of my cats to Blue Buffalo dry cat food. The ingredients looked really healthy, so I thought this would be a better diet for them. I was so wrong! Both of my cats’ coats started looking really dull, and it wasn’t that long afterwards that my healthy, active 15 year old boy had a major pancreatic attack. It took 3 months of consistent medical care for him to get back to ‘normal’. He died this year, 5 years later, after dealing with chronic health problems since his attack. I’m certain this food was the culprit. Please don’t feed this to your cats!

Original review: July 17, 2020

The cats love the dry and wet food. There is a high concentration of quality protein, and no bad fillers. The price is a little high, but not as high as some. Can be purchased online for less than in the store.

Original review: July 16, 2020

I have used Blue Buffalo for many years. My cats are healthier, have beautiful soft coats, their eyes are bright. They have less waste in the litter box, because they are digesting and their body's are utilizing all the nutrients. This has no byproducts or added fillers like many other brands. They would eat the other brands, but I won't feed them that. I want them healthy & with our family for as long as possible. Feeding them right, from the start, is the best step in this process, along with regular vet visits. Many loving years to come.

Original review: July 15, 2020

After a family friend recommended this cat food, I decided to give my cat this healthy option. After feeding her store bought cat food for so long and checking the ingredients I decided to try to feed my cat the healthy real ingredients food. She loved it and didn't hesitate on eating all the food given to her. I felt happy as much as she was giving her a better healthier option.

Original review: July 14, 2020

My cats love Blue Buffalo and it is very healthy for them. They vomit and get diarrhea when they eat other brands of food. They seem to love the taste and come running when they hear me messing with their food. They eat every scrap of it. I will keep them on this food forever.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information