2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

4.0/5 (1669 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Blue Buffalo Pet Foods

Blue Buffalo is a manufacturer of dog and cat foods. Ingredients include high-quality meats, fruits, vegetables, cheese, eggs, fish oil, barley, rye, fava beans, vitamins and mineral supplements. Products are available on the company’s website and through other retailers.

Pros

• No filler ingredients
  • Wide selection of food and treats
  • Vitamins and mineral supplements

Cons

• Brand has had recalls
  • Can be expensive

Bottom Line

Blue Buffalo uses high-quality ingredients for its pet food. The company doesn’t use animal byproducts, and it adds vitamins and minerals to provide a balanced diet. There's a range of options for pets of all ages and needs.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

I have a nine-month-old shepherd female. We have been feeding her this starting at four months. Sometimes she’s had diarrhea once in a while but now she’s older and in this last month she’s been vomiting and having orange diarrhea. Took it to the vet last week and he told me I need to stop giving her this dog food and gave me a prescription dog food with two different prescription medication.

If the medicine and Dog Food do not help then it’s something wrong with her pancreas. Even though it has been five days her diarrhea is still orange on the meds and on the Prescription dog food. I’m pretty sure it’s from the dog food do not feed your dog stuff. The vet told me there has been a lot of recalls with the stock food a lot of complaints coming in with different patients with stomach issues related to this food. I am very worried about my dog. I love her very much. My kids love her very much. She is a support animal and if this kills her I’m going to sue.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2020

After having tried different dog foods after my German Shepherd reached adulthood. Decided to try Blue Buffalo since all others failed she can be a picky eater. Spending $17 on a 10 lb bag of adult dogfood where other brands would cost under $25 for a 50 lb bag. Currently on day 3 still refusing to eat it. I asked other people at the store they said same thing and too expensive! So the search continues!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

After reading these other reviews I am both shocked and relieved that my dog isn’t the only one experiencing these symptoms. After a normal day of playing and a long walk about a month ago, she was extremely lethargic, had bloody liquid shooting out of her rear end, and had bloody vomit. After spending $4700 and receiving NO definitive explanation from the vet, I continued feeding this food to her. Today she had bloody stool once again and decided to check reviews. I will be switching her to something else first thing in the morning!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

We opened a new bag of Blue Buffalo Jolly Joints (Lot #20210503 & good through 5/3/21). It had stringy white material attached to the pebbles. Upon further inspection, it was live worms & their weaving.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

I really wish I'd found the reviews listed here before feeding this absolute poison to my dog. I have a 60lb healthy and very active husky (1.5yo). We switched him to Blue Buffalo Life protection 6 weeks ago because he was not finishing his Science Diet dry anymore. He was weird about eating BB's dry food pretty quickly. We thought it was adolescent husky picky eating behavior (which is common).

Last week he began throwing up profusely, every morning at 5am. Each time a stomach full of undigested Blue Buffalo. I don't know why it took so long for the symptoms to appear -- perhaps because he's young and a pretty big dog. But for the last week he threw up every morning, had a runny nose, explosive diarrhea, itchy skin, the works. After 4 days, we took him to the pet ER (he threw up twice that day). X-rays showed nothing. Threw up four more times in a span of 3 days so went back for more tests. Diarrhea and SERIOUS lethargy, which we'd never seen before.

While I was cleaning up his vomit yesterday morning (day 7) I heard his stomach gurgling like howling wind in a blizzard from across the room. 15 seconds of this. I watched him lie on the floor in obvious pain. It dawned on me that nothing was stuck in his stomach and that maybe, just maybe, something is wrong with his food. I googled BB and came across these reviews. I went to Trader Joe's when it opened, got him a bag of their dry chicken meal food and HE'S FINE NOW. 24 hour laters no throw up, no illness, and he's high energy again.

Two hospital visits, $1k spent for X-rays, blood work, fecal samples all over this terrible food brand that was likely destroying my his insides. When I spoke to the vet on the phone she said "Yeah, it might just be the food if it was Blue Buffalo. We have seen many dogs have problems with it, too. Their marketing department makes it seem like their product is much better than it is."

This food is poison and I hope whoever ruined the mix to make a quick buck is held responsible. Avoid this food and keep your pets safe. FWIW, TJ's brand seems great, is cheap ($10/bag), and my dog devours it. Sorry to all those who read these reviews too late. For a minute I thought mine might be dying and it was a truly terrible feeling.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

PLEASE PLEASE IF YOU LOVE YOUR FURBABIES DO NOT USE BLUE BUFFALO. 4 years ago my 3 Papillon dog had to be rushed to the Vet because I bought their food thinking it was a good high quality product. $1000's of dollars later with no reimbursement at all from Blue Buffalo. So I stupidly bought training treats yesterday 9/23/20. Now my Pom Chi has vomited and started with diarrhea after only 4 treats. Will Never Ever buy any products from them again Ever!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

My husband & I purchased Blue Wilderness dog food for our 7 year old Wemerainer. Our poor dog broke out into hives all over her body, ears, mouth, and legs. She was constantly scratching, shaking her head, and biting her paws. Her ears were red and her eyes were red at times. She also had lots of smelly gas, loose stools, & wasn’t eating well. We discontinued the food and returned our dog to Purina One Lamb & Rice. Thankfully, she’s on the mend now and her hives and symptoms are improving. Stay away from this dog food!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

Horrible. This brand is KILLING MY DOG!! My French bulldog/pug normal 21lbs has gone down to 16lbs in 2 months! This brand is killing her and losing weight and muscle mass at a rate I’ve never seen before. Do not buy!! She started a new food from the vet today, and had blood work done to see if this is reversible. Horrible horrible horrible product!! After speaking to friends who’ve had their dogs on this brand, it’s caused them to throw up and become sick as well!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

Recently, after switching to Blue Buffalo, one of our cats died due to cardiac arrest while getting surgery to remove an obstruction (because of a UTI). I am obviously very upset and heartbroken that our cat has passed away, but can't say for sure if it was the food or not. The reason I am still giving 3 stars is because of Blue Buffalo's service when I called after having read all of these reviews. The person I spoke with said they have received no calls recently. However, all of these reviews are fairly recent. Nothing I do will bring my cat back. But leaving a review and not letting the company know, will NOT inform them of issues, which could save other animal's lives in the process.

Everyone has the right to grieve in their way, but please consider informing them if you believe it was the food because the service I received was reassuring and I felt like they did really care about my situation and my cat, and now they are aware and can look into the issue reported to prevent any further issues if they are food related. I am deeply sorry to all who have lost an animal, I really do understand that pain.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

I switched from Iams dry cat food (which they were doing great on) for both of my cats to Blue Buffalo dry cat food. The ingredients looked really healthy, so I thought this would be a better diet for them. I was so wrong! Both of my cats’ coats started looking really dull, and it wasn’t that long afterwards that my healthy, active 15 year old boy had a major pancreatic attack. It took 3 months of consistent medical care for him to get back to ‘normal’. He died this year, 5 years later, after dealing with chronic health problems since his attack. I’m certain this food was the culprit. Please don’t feed this to your cats!

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information