2.7/5 (3681 ratings)
Find a Dog Food partner

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Blue Buffalo Pet Foods

Blue Buffalo is a manufacturer of dog and cat foods. Ingredients include high-quality meats, fruits, vegetables, cheese, eggs, fish oil, barley, rye, fava beans, vitamins and mineral supplements. Products are available on the company’s website and through other retailers.

Pros

• No filler ingredients
  • Wide selection of food and treats
  • Vitamins and mineral supplements

Cons

• Brand has had recalls
  • Can be expensive

Bottom Line

Blue Buffalo uses high-quality ingredients for its pet food. The company doesn’t use animal byproducts, and it adds vitamins and minerals to provide a balanced diet. There's a range of options for pets of all ages and needs.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I seen a lot about this issue googling Blue Buffalo dog food, after my vet said my dog has a heart murmur and kidney levels where high, I had told her I was feeding them blue buffalo for one to 2 years, she said they are having lots of dogs coming in with same issues as my dogs, that the owners state having their dogs on blue buffalo. My aussie is 10. He was completely healthy as my other dog too, we had noticed there health had declined in that time they were eating blue b, we have spent thousands trying to keep my aussie alive, as I write this he is in a oxygen tank at the vet with fluid around his heart, our family is heartbroken, I plead with you to please stop feeding your dogs cats this pet food, do your research. Ask your vet. I hope this saves lives. That's why I'm warning others. I wish I had known.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I thought I was buying the best food available. Didn't know my dog would die of lead poisoning in 3 months. Bleeding out internally. Happy one day with noisy a stomach, the next day bleeding frank red stools with big blood clots. Dehydrated & in shock when I took her to the vet. The next day our other dog started having the same loud belly sounds, then reading the reviews & how many times this company has been in court since 2017. Why is this dog food still on the market? Lab tested dog food showed 0.25mg/kg of lead.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

Just like so many other reviews, AVOID THIS FOOD!!! I got my furbaby when he was 3 months old (now 8 months) and I've had him on BB puppy food since, he was doing fine until a couple weeks ago. He started becoming very picky with wanting to eat breakfast. So at first we were just "oh he is doing the teenage rebellious thing" then he started avoiding the food and didnt want to drink either, he started having crazy diarrhea and was more frantic. It almost seemed like he was seeing things that were scaring him (he is not typically like that). I changed his food over just 2 days ago and he has since gone completely back to normal. I'm glad I read these reviews and changed him over asap before something life threatening took place. Please dont feed your babies this!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I bought Blue Buffalo Indoor Hairball and weight Control for my 11 year old cat recently. The store was out of her usual food (Iams weight and hairball control formula). She's not a picky eater, but seemed to always be hungry during the 10 days that she was on Blue Buffalo....whining for more food, but she's a tad overweight, so I did not indulge her with more.

Then she started having loose stools, and tracking litter on her paws out of the litter box and into the house (she accesses her litter box through a cat door into the garage). She was also lethargic, and hiding in places to sleep which she has never done before. Then she had diarrhea on the carpet three times during the night while I slept. Plus, the fur around her anus is caked with stool and she won't let me touch her to clean it up. What a mess! Switching back to her previous food. This is a terrible product. I'm not sure how much laxatives are in it, but it cannot be good for her GI tract nor her kidneys!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

Three years ago I adopted a a rescue American Staffordshire Terrier. The person I got him from said he only ate table food and that was wrong in my book. Once in a while is fine but, every meal is just wrong. Well, I tried to start weaning him off and it was not easy. I bought every kind of dog food there was to be bought. Then I saw Blue Buffalo Wilderness dog food advertised on TV and I bought it. I bought the dry and the canned. I brought it home and I put it in his bowl and I opened the canned and I couldn't get it in his bowl fast enough. He was eating it out of the can. I definitely made the right choice and we will definitely be staying with Blue Buffalo Wilderness! I love it and so does Charlie!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

My corgi is nine, perfect health until I gave him these dog treats, now he is sick with blood in his stool, on my way to vet, to see if he is going to live, very sick, loose bloody stools, won't drink or eat today, only thing that changed was the dog treats, please don't use these for your dog. They can kill your pet. And run up your vet cost, if Bo dies I will sue Blue.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Just noticed empty can in trash can- wife gave to dog before she went out shopping. Since she buys crap without reviewing, and I have told her to buy only food made in the US., if she read the label, it says "Manufactured for Blue Buffalo". Something told me the crap was manufactured in China and doubtful of ingredients. As such I went online to check out company, but then decided to type in BB complaints. Came upon this reviews. Some 4-5 stars, tells me they may be from co, since all others are one stars and all dogs seriously ill. If my ** dog, get sick, there will be a lawsuit. I do not understand why any of the above reviewers took no legal action- one mentioned "All of us .....", eg something like class action, but that takes long- I do not see why one does not take action on their own.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

My dog was hospitalized last weekend with pancreatitis. Here is what my vet said: "We see this all the time in dogs that have been on Blue Buffalo for an extended period. Great commercials--bad dog food. Blue Buffalo is too rich for most dogs to tolerate over time." I'm a label reader, and I had not only examined the ingredients but had searched for negative reviews of Blue Buffalo online before feeding it to my beloved German Shepherd/Cattle Dog mix.

Every review I read was positive, so I put him on it, and he's been on it for five years. Turns out, instead of giving him good quality care, I was nearly killing him. (I suspect that Blue Buffalo hires a software company to 'scrub' their bad search engine results, but I can't prove that.) Please, please consult your vet before feeding this dog food. Since my dog was essentially feral when I adopted him, having to hospitalize was torture for everyone involved; he reverted to his wild state, pacing the entire time. They were unable to keep an I.V. in. I am so, so fortunate I didn't lose him.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

My miniature Australian Shepherd would get bored with the same food all the time so we switched around a lot. I got Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula recently and it never seemed to satisfy her, but she seemed ok otherwise. Wednesday, January 8th, 2020, she was fine all day. We walked, she ate and seemed fine. As I was getting out of the shower, I heard her yipping as if in pain. When I got to her, she was gone. I have been reading other posts of adverse reactions, and it makes me wonder. I am already heartbroken over losing my best friend, but if I find out I could have prevented her death, I will be absolutely devastated.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

When we switched to Blue Buffalo Life Protection Senior Chicken and Rice, my 13 yr old English Shepherd was showing signs of dementia, poor eyesight and hearing, arthritis, flea dermatitis and was underweight. It has been about 4 months, and he eats wet and kibble, along with oatmeal and yams/pumpkins, twice daily. All aspects have improved, and he is no longer showing any signs of dementia, day or night. He loves mealtime! We love this product.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

My dog has had troubles adjusting to dog food before as she is very picky and thinks she needs to eat more treats than dog food. But I have never seen her do something like this, after a week of eating the food she started drooling, was very lethargic, and couldn’t stand. Took her to the vet the next morning to find out she had pancreatitis, best thing was it had just started and we got it under control before it could get worse. I do not recommend Blue Buffalo to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

My dog was totally fine before Blue Buffalo! I gave him the biscuits to try out the new brand since I couldn't find his current ones he always ate. I took him to the vet when he started acting funny, it was about time for his rabies shot anyways so hit two birds with one stone right? Well I'm glad I ran a full test! Blood work and everything tells me all of a sudden my healthy boy has signals for acute renal disease?! Are you kidding me?! The lethargy, the no motivation to zombie around, the over drinking water like he had been starved of it for years! What the hell Blue Buffalo! You play a big game saying you're so amazing and yet you're killing my dog! My baby is all I have left and your shoddy work has nothing to show for "how much you care". Five hundred dollars in vet Bills! I haven't taken him back because I have no money! He could die and this is because of Blue Buffalo!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I have been using the Blue Buffalo Dental bones for years. My veterinarian agrees that they have helped my 10 yr old teeth from needing to go under for for a cleaning. I stand behind all Blue Buffalo products and will continue to use for all 4 of my pets.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

My cats are 15 months old. I've been feeding them Blue Buffalo since they came home with us. I noticed that there was occasionally blood in the fecal material in the litter box but not knowing which cat it was and not seeing any other symptoms at the time I didn't pay much mind. I did notice for several months my male cat, Adam, would take a long time squatting to urinate but little to nothing would come out. I thought maybe he was just shy to go with me watching. I also noticed that sometimes the litter would be soaked through with a high stench of ammonia. We get the extra ammonia blocking litter and clean the boxes regularly and very well.

On 12/28/19 I noticed Adam was very upset and seemed to be in severe pain. He was laying on the couch yowling and it appeared like he was either trying to vomit or pass (either urine or feces) but couldn't. I called the closest vet and they recommended I take him to the emergency vet. I took him in immediately. After 3 days in the animal hospital and a HUGE bill it turned out he had bladder crystals. It was so severe the vet couldn't get a catheter in to empty his bladder. It took several attempts and some ingenuity on their part to drain the urine which was full of blood. He also stopped eating and drinking for 3 days. He will be on prescription food for the rest of his life. After reading the reviews and speaking to multiple vets they all said how horrible Blue Buffalo is and that it is NOT holistic or organic. If you love your pets PLEASE do not feed them any sort of Blue Buffalo products.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

If you love your fur baby, don’t buy these products. My completely healthy 5 year old fur baby was taken to the animal hospital a week ago after suddenly not having much of an appetite followed by having some mucus-y diarrhea, less than 48 hours she was no longer with us. The only thing we’ve given her were Blue Buffalo products thinking they were high quality. There’s too many similar situations with blue buffalo being the common denominator.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

A few months ago my husband came home to find my very healthy active basset hound very sick and I have no doubt the cause was the Blue Buffalo food we fed him the night before. We had gone through a few bags of Blue Buffalo and though my other dog wasn't a huge fan it seemed to be okay until we had purchased a new bag and fed them maybe 2 times out of it. My husband came home from work and my dog whole living room/kitchen was covered in vomit, diarrhea & blood. My dog has not had an accident in the house in the last 8 adult years of his life. I am pretty sure he would just explode before he went in the house, but he was so sick. My husband noticed immediately he was bleeding from his anus and took him straight to the vet.

$300+ dollars later and 2 days of very upset stomach he started to get better. I have no doubt it was the food and if we wouldn't have rushed him to the vet and got meds in him asap it would have been much worse. Don't take the chance go with another food, I regret not looking into this brand more before buying it. There is too many complaints for there not to be something wrong.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

Gastric bleeding from food. I previously left a review, and I just contacted Blue Buffalo because I am pissed. It appears that there are enough of us that have this exact same documented issue that if we contact an attorney then once the case is won they take a percentage.. I called the number for blue Buffalo. I was told to submit a claim and it could take eight to 12 weeks. I'm sorry but that's far too long and people and their dogs could still become harmed because of this. For over a week I was up and down in the middle of the night cleaning up vomit, poop, my dog shaking and whining, and then I finally free to mice all blood and took him to the vet. Thank God he didn't die. Feel free to email me with questions. ** Please put dog or something of that nature in the subject. Potential 3 or 4 months to hear something back is unacceptable.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I switched to this brand and gave it to my 5 year old English Springer Spaniel for a couple days. The first day we noticed she was very spaced out and even wobbly on her feet. The second day she had a seizure. An overnight vet visit showed no abnormal blood results that would have caused a seizure. She came home and seemed much better. The next day we gave her the "Blue Buffalo" food again, and that night she was exhibiting the same spaced out signs and we thought she was going to have another seizure. Then, it occurred to us that it could be the new food. Switched back to the old brand - and absolutely no issues since then. I have no doubt that it was related to the Blue Buffalo food.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I have, had, a 12 year old Yorkie, George Patton, never had stomach issues before in his great life. A month ago he was in the vets and they made a comment that he was getting a little big (17 lbs) so, unfortunately, without doing much research and seeing that our vet was selling Blue Buffalo, we bought him a bag. Thought we were doing him a solid. A week later he just stopped eating it, he just hated it. But, it was expensive so we found ways (adding chicken stock, Ext) to get him to eat it. He still hated it, then we switched him back to his normal food, but it may have been too little too late.

My George passed away at 3:10 Jan 1st. Puddles of bloody vomit all over the down stairs, looked like a horror movie. We were able to say goodbye, as he took his last bloody breath. If I had done my due diligence before I had bought this crap of a brand my general would still possibly be bossing me around. If there were less than a star that is what I would be posting.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

I have a 5 yo gsd/lab mix. He’s never had any health issues and a strong stomach I can and do regularly switch up his food. I grabbed these dental bones yesterday and fed him one last night. Watched him chew it fully. This morning he was lethargic and started throwing up blood. I originally wrote it off as gastro upset and the beets in the treats causing the red. He threw up 12-14 times, can’t keep water down and had to be carried to the truck and rushed to the vet. No obstruction (like I said he chewed it). His pancreas doesn’t look right and his stomach is severely inflamed from this crap. I had to leave my dog at the vet on IV for dehydration and waiting to hear if he’s going to need surgery. I thought this was a trustworthy brand. Found this site and it looks like I’m not the only one that’s had this happen especially in the last few weeks.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

I switched my beautiful 7 year old girl to Blue Buffalo a couple of months ago. She was healthy and happy and she just DIED a few days ago. IF YOU LOVE YOUR PET YOU WILL NEVER FEED THEM THIS BRAND OF FOOD! Save yourself the heartbreak that my family and I had to experience prematurely. Doesn't even deserve 1 star.

Sincerely,

Forever Heartbroken

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

My little Chi mix is 17 years old! He is getting very finicky about eating as of late! We got three cans of Blue Buffalo! He ate part of the first can a stew! Not long after that he threw up! The next day we thought we’d try the rice Formula! Thought we was doing ok! Little while later he threw it up! Please for the love of your fur babies! DO NOT buy Blue Buffalo! ☠️☠️☠️

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

My completely healthy 3 year old dog went from totally normal at bedtime to vomiting and unable to walk at 4am. He began hemorrhaging at vet and there was just blood everywhere. He has hemorrhaging gastritis and vet feels strongly this was triggered by the Blue Buffalo dog treats we bought him recently. The vet said she has treated other critically ill dogs who had eaten this brand. I have no words for how devastating this was, we could have lost him. Please NEVER give this brand to your pet.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

I will be filing claims for this pet food and almost killing my two chocolate labs. I have two chocolate labs..one is 13 YO and very fragile with Addison’s disease. My husband picked up a bag of blue diamond senior food from our local tractor supply. We normally get blue diamond delivered but due to the holidays shipment was delayed so my hubby picked up a bag to get us by. Within a few days my 6 yo dog started to be lethargic, vomiting. And then it hit my frail elderly dog with addisons. They both have pancreatitis....and we are taking them hour by hour and hope our addisons dog makes it....they are both very very ill...

They have destroyed my carpet and have vomited 30+ times....I’ve had to pay for vet visits and ER VISITS upwards of 1500 $ and we still are not better and now need to replace my carpet as it is totally stained with bile vomit from this crap...they both don’t go any where we have a fenced in yard..they have not gotten into anything and I find it interesting that this happens right after the switch....I hope they make it. We are very scared....

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

I gave my dog a small amount of BB Chicken Dinner wet variety food with his normal dinner and several hours later, he began to vomit. It continued into the next day and he couldn’t even keep his regular food (not BB) down for more than 20 minutes. There was no other variables at play, as he had been home for the day and had no access to anything he shouldn’t have eaten. After reading the rest of these reviews, it makes sense and I will not feed him any BB product again.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

I believe this dog food caused my dog's seizures. After not eating it for a few months my dog was seizure free. Gave it to him about a month ago and he had a seizure that night! That's when it dawned on me that the dog food could be the cause. Haven't given him the food since and he hasn't had a seizure since.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

My foxhound has a very serious problem if eating more than one protein. He loses his giving him bald spots and infections on his stomach. My vet told me that some dogs cannot have more than one protein. So I switched to blue Buffalo Bison. And I also purchased a spray for my doctor for his hot spots. I wondered why he was losing more hair and his skin was flaking on his stomach. My dog just had surgery and the doctor noticed how bad the stomach was and put him on 10 days of antibiotics yet the rash is still there and that’s only because I was still feeding him the same food.

Well I just ran out of the food and I went to Petsmart to pick up another bag of blue Buffalo bison and just had a curiosity I looked at the ingredients and I was shocked. It also had chicken meal (which my dog cannot have) and fish meal. I cannot believe what I was doing to my dog. Why can’t Blue Buffalo put that on the front! And though I am irate at blue buffalo I did buy their Turkey limited which only has turkey in it. Now hopefully my dog will no longer suffer and I won’t waste monies on dog Antibiotics or medicated sprays for the bald spots which burns him. Please please read the ingredients of any package you purchased. I looked at other dog food and they all did the same.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

I figured I would switch my big dog, Peyton, to this food instead of paying shipping fees from Chewy. Never again! Peyton never had a problem with loose stools until this food. He has had diarrhea and slight lethargy for weeks. I narrowed it down to this food after eliminating other things from his diet. After switching him back to his regular food, Zignature, within two meals he was normal again. I didn't have to take him to the vet, but was getting ready to if it didn't stop. Like I said, within a day his poop was normal, and the lethargy was gone. He is playing with his buddies again. Never again will I try to save a few bucks this way. And never again will I feed Blue Buffalo!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

My dog has eaten Blue dog food since he was 8 wks old. He is now 7 years old and has some health problems. I was absolutely shocked to find out I have been feeding my dog food with no meat, and who knows what else in it. How could you sell and lie about ingredients in your food to people that trusted you. I will never trust you or your products. I don't know the damage your food has done to my dog, and I never will.

You lied on your label. No meat in your food and charged a high price for food that was all fillers junk. May have caused damage to thousands, that trusted their loved pet with your food. There is no possible excuse for this. The fact your food is on shelves shocks me. I was your fan and I've never been more disappointed than I am with Blue Buffalo and will never purchase any product ever again and advise public to look up for themselves all the lawsuits on Blue Buffalo. It's all in black and white and you must be paying a lot to keep it quiet.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

I purchased two bags of Blue Buffalo dog food from Amazon and when I opened one to put it in the plastic tote I store the food in a dead mouse came out of the bag. I contacted blue buffalo and they blamed it on amazon storage practices. Only problem I find with that is the bag was in factory sealed condition with no holes or tears. I contacted blue buffalo two more times and they didn’t respond. It is my belief that they play the blame game and can’t take responsibility for a mistake that may have taken place in their plant. I will no longer be using their product because who knows what else may be in those bags. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and think twice before you purchase their product. Unsatisfied customer Mike **.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information