2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

3.7/5 (4406 ratings)

About Wayfair

Wayfair is an online retailer that sells furniture and household items, including fixtures, appliances and cookware. With the "Room Ideas" section of its website, customers can explore curated home design styles and purchase items from those collections. Most items are eligible for returns and full refunds within 30 days of delivery. The Wayfair Credit Card Program lets you receive discounts, financing and credit rewards.

Pros

• Rewards and perks
  • Product variety
  • Low delivery fee
  • Registry option

Cons

• Assembly required
  • Some items are pricey

Bottom Line

Wayfair sells a variety of home goods and furniture. The website offers 3D visualization tools, gift registries and store credit cards. Customers can use filters on the company's website to make searching easier.

Wayfair Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wayfair?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wayfair?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

I bought 4 concrete Urn planters in May 2020. I kept following up to get the status and continually was told I’m sorry but there’s a delay and a date would be given. This happened 7 times in the last 4 months and then I’m told sorry the item was discontinued!! After 4 months you find this out??? The worse customer service I have ever seen. I will never ever order anything again from Wayfair. If you decide to purchase something ask them to give you a delivery date and if you don’t get it by then, cancel the order and go elsewhere. Trust me!!!!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

When ordering a lot of furniture recently I placed it matching billing to shipping address, which listed my correct address - however the order placed to a building I lived in years ago an hour away. I called immediately to correct the situation and they told me that they had no way (even before it was shipped) to change the address, or make any notes to that affect. Also because the items ship from overseas they have no way to track the item until the day it's out for delivery. The only solution they had was for me to call them every single morning before delivery and ask if a label has been printed with a tracking number, at which point they STILL could not help me and said that I now had to contact FedEx with the tracking number and ask for them to help. What they didn't tell me was that FedEx had no way to redirect the items only Wayfair could do that, and that they didn't even have a way to contact the driver morning of delivery.

I had to drive an hour to Toronto for every item in the order which were delivered multiple days. (Because the building wouldn't hold packages for non-residents). Then, only to find out, that Wayfair did actually have an option, FedEx explained that they could have done a redirect, but that would have been at a charge to them. Had they explained this I may have paid extra for the delivery. However, they instead costed me hours of time on the phone and driving, and $300 in gas. I will never order from Wayfair again, dropshipping NIGHTMARE, not worth the savings just go to a store nearby, supporting local is always best. A local shop would never have this problem.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

I had the unfortunate experience on Sunday, over the Labor Day weekend, to order a set of counter stools from Wayfair's website. The advertised price for the pair of stools was $106, plus tax, which is what I paid. The very next morning, which was the Labor Day holiday, the price dropped to $93, plus tax, and I was told it is Wayfair's policy NOT to allow retroactive price adjustments on items, even items like mine that hadn't even yet been shipped (but was in the process of being shipped). I subsequently canceled my Wayfair Professional account and will no longer be purchasing anything from their site.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

For my first major Wayfair purchase I selected a vintage-style bathtub, and paid for the room-of-choice shipping. The delivery date was several weeks from purchase, and was moved back once--no problem. On the day before the promised delivery date, I drove the 6 hours to be there at the house I'm moving to, only to receive a notice--less than 24 hours out--that the delivery had been postponed due to the holiday. (I guess Labor Day was somehow a surprise or, more likely, just an excuse as the delivery had been scheduled the day AFTER.)

If there was a problem with the holiday schedule, they should have been able to send a notice in a more timely manner so that I would not have wasted a 6-hour (one way) drive, only to have to turn around again. Their poor customer service cost me both several tanks of gas and also the opportunity to spend the holiday at a barbecue instead of waiting on a delivery that will now be delayed until at least later in the week--necessitating another 12+ hour (round) trip. Wayfair clearly doesn't respect its customers' time and does not want my repeat business. I understand delays but there is no excuse for the lack of proper communication.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

I was waiting 5 months for a coffee table! I moved in the meantime! I have informed them about it. They said to me it is too late for change the delivery address. Unfortunately they have sent a parcel 4 days after they have told me they can't change the delivery address. Even DHL said to me they can send it in a different address with Wayfair confirmation. They didn't do anything. They have preferred send it 3 times to the wrong address than change delivery address! What a joke! Refund? I am still waiting, almost 2 months!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

I placed my order on 8/29/2021. I placed the order using multiple gift cards and my credit card for the remaining amount. On 8/30 The order went to hold status with owning the exact amount of one of the gift cards, so I contacted customer support and pointed out that it looks like they missed processing one of the cards, they confirmed it was the case and processed the card. On 8/31 the order got canceled due to lack of stock. I contacted a sales agent on 9/2 to find a similar item and they informed me it was back in stock, but 70 dollars more and they could not match the original order price. I then escalated the call twice to be told there was nothing that could be done and I would just have to buy it at the new price.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

I ordered a product (a desk) that would be delivered in 2 boxes. According to Wayfair and FedEx, I was supposed to have received the boxes on Aug 26. I signed up to be notified of exceptions and delays, and waited through Friday Aug 27. On Aug 27, at 7pm, I called FedEx and was told by the rep that he had spoken with the driver, and the box would be there by 8:15pm. I waited until 9pm. I was then told the box would be there on Saturday. I asked colleagues to attend meetings on my behalf, on Saturday, because I had to wait for the box. FedEx informed me on Sat. that they would deliver on Monday.

I called Wayfair again to see what could be done. I was told by a rep that all she could do was give me 10% discount on a future purchase. I asked to be transferred to a manager. When the manager, Alyssa, picked up, I explained that 10% on a future order would do me no good. I needed a desk and would have to go buy another one. I explained that it would be easier to find an agreement, rather than refuse the shipment, when (and if) it would arrive. Alyssa threatened me with additional charges, saying that they would charge me a restocking fee. Alyssa told me I had to deal with FedEx personally, because "all Wayfair did was sell me a desk". I explained that this is not how subcontracted breeches work: I was not the customer, to FedEx, and they would certainly not be able to recognize my damages.

On Monday, only one box was delivered. FedEx informed me, today that the box is lost. Unsurprisingly, they said that there was nothing they can do. I now have a useless 50lbs box of wood sitting in my office, because the other half is lost and Wayfair told me that it's my problem, unless I want to accept their 10% discount on a *future* purchase.

Wayfair offered a 30% discount and a new desk, but informed me that it would take 10 days to receive it, that I would receive both boxes, again, and that I would have to dispose of the 50lbs box I currently have at my expense. I pointed out that disposing of that box would cost me more than the discount. I asked for a full refund and a call tag to return the box at their expense. They issued the refund but refused to take this huge box back, which is now stuck in my office (6ftx3ft and 50lbs). When I pointed out that this entire experience ended up costing money just to resolve an issue they created, their answer was "we have stepped completely outside of our policy in order to help." Apparently, getting their customers stuck with wrong products they have to dispose of is "helping".

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

New and Old Buyer Beware. I recently discovered Wayfair charged my account for items I properly cancelled and did not receive last year. It took me a long time to sort this out and I received no help from the Wayfair customer service dept. Luckily I could prove the item had been cancelled and I was able to grab enough screenshots from my Wayfair billing to show Wayfair where the error was and that it was an error on their side and not mine... But it took over a month of back and forth, with multiple customer service agents, with me finally including the Legal Team and any other Wayfair address I could find online to have my account actually corrected.

I repeatedly asked to speak to someone on the leadership team and still have not heard from anyone with the ability to speak to why they attempted to bill for these items and if there are any safeguards protecting their customers from this type of billing going forward. I will not be updating my billing info should I use Wayfair again. It will be worth buying gift cards and doing business with them that way vs providing actual credit card info that they may abuse in the future.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

I purchased over $1800 worth of furniture using my debit card. The company doesn’t tell you that they put a hold on your account for the full amount and then bill you again as items are shipped and then 10 days later refund the duplicate payments. This caused my account to be overdrawn and checks to be returned for bills that I had plenty of money in my account to cover if Wayfair hadn’t double charged me. To top it off customer service hung up on me. I filed a complaint with BBB and noted hundreds of complaints for similar issues. I will NEVER purchase anything from here again.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

Awful customer service. You get what you pay for! There is no reasonable way to work with their customer service staff. They just make a decision and continue repeating it to you - they don't listen - they interrupt - they speak over you - and then they'll keep you on hold hoping you hang up. And I've purchased several items from here over the years. I've read bad reviews about their customer service but never had to deal directly with them until recently. And because of that experience, I'll never shop here again. They don't value customers at all.

Wayfair Company Information