1.22/5

831 Overstock.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Today, Sept 20th my purchase, a 6 piece bedroom set, was delivered, after waiting almost three weeks. However, all 8 boxes were damaged and the furniture inside broken. Nothing could be saved. It all had to be returned. Which is a huge inconvenience since I had to empty out my other furniture in order to receive this order. So my clothes, bedding, everything, is in a complete disarray inside my room. I immediately called customer service and asked to speak to a supervisor. They put me on the phone with Aaron. He had no answers for me, and a very insincere apology. He was like a robot. I told him I had to take off work to receive this delivery, and that my room was a mess because I had to clear the room to receive the new furniture. He again apologized for the inconvenience, and said he could put in for a replacement order if I liked.

There was no other offer for my inconvenience. I then asked him what would he do if he were in my situation and what would he want the company to do for him. He then said he wanted to know what I wanted him to do. I asked if he could expedite the replacement order. He said he couldn’t do that. I then asked could he take off any money from the total. He said he could do that, and would start by offering $125 off, for now. He said he could do more, but wanted to reserve that for the next order if it too came in damaged. I asked if the next order could be delivered on a pallet versus loose boxes, otherwise the same thing could happen again. He said there was no guarantee they would put the next order on a pallet, but that he would request they do so. He gave no other offer for the inconvenience.

Also the red glove service I purchased doesn’t include putting the furniture together. Only placing it in the room, and discarding the packaging. Putting it together is on your own. Smh. Now I’m stuck with my room in a mess for the next 3 to 4 weeks. Not what I expected when I made this purchase. My excitement to receive my new bedroom set has been shot. I’m so unhappy right now. Smh. I’ve ordered through them in the past and never had any issues. This has left a very bad taste in my mouth. So beware when you order oversized items from them. They’re not equipped to delivery them to you without any damage. So there’s a 50/50 shot you’ll have to return your items as well due to freight damage. A huge inconvenience.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I placed an order for 4 bar stools. A week later I received a notice shipping was delayed due to weather. A day later I received a notice that there was an issue with my order, unrelated to weather and if I didn't have my order within 30 days they would cancel it. The next day I received a notice they were out of stock of that item and canceled my order. What a waste of time, I could have gone elsewhere and had my furniture in less time without the ridiculous hassle.

Get expert buying tips about Deal Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I put an item in my cart at 384.00. Went to check out and the price had changed to 506.00. I contacted customer care and was told I should have checked out faster because they don't control the prices and can they can change whenever the manufacturer wants.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Overstock. This company is a fraudulent company. Do not buy from them. Their customer service is wretched and they all have different explanations for their screw ups! They won't cancel a order that was supposed to be cancelled ten minutes after it was placed because they say the warehouse has to do it then three people say it's canceled and my account but it's not and now they have charged me 555 dollars with NO product yet and say if I choose to cancel now even though it was supposed to be cancelled the first ten minutes then I will be subject to 180$ restocking fee!!! Stay away from this company.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

So we were shopping for a mattress. I was skeptical about buying from Overstock because they were not good in the past but we needed a mattress, so we placed a order and it said it would be shipping out in a month or so, wayyy too long to sleep on the floor. I called ten minutes later. While looking at another site I found it 200$ cheaper and shipped faster. So I called and asked to cancel TEN MINUTES later. Overstock says, "Well we will put in a request but the warehouse has to approve it," I said, "It's been ten minutes, no one's that fast at packing a mattress!" So he said not to worry. It would be ok, my card would show pending purchase. After the second day they sent us a text saying that they would like delivery information, I called them.

I said, "I have no delivery. I cancelled this," and he said oh well the first guy should have called the warehouse instead of emailing and he would have done it differently but not to worry we would be ok and it would not be charged. Third day is here. My credit card's charged. Now it gets ugly, now they say I never canceled it and I'm at fault blaming me saying I was never allowed to cancel it and I would be charged 180$ to even try to cancel it, the mattress was 555$ so nearly half of the cost!!! I am disgusted!!! I will never buy from them again and make sure everyone knows. This company needs a class action against them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Overstock.com?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I purchased two fish as wall decor $30 each. They arrived and were plastic, very cheap quality! Then I process a return for my refund and I’m being charged $14.90 each, 50% of the purchase price, to return them! So basically Overstock is collecting $30 from me for absolutely nothing. I’m so disappointed in this experience that I will never buy from Overstock again!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Ordered a Dining Room table over a month ago. Received an email that it was "shipped". Was not shipped, in fact still do not have it in mid Sept. This company is nothing more than a dropship specialist that takes your money, then orders the product and hopes for the best. The CEO has a message on hold that it is their goal to provide the very best customer service, what a joke. I think he better reevaluate. I've given them one more week for the piece to show up, or we're cancelling. They took my money btw a couple days after ordering, so they are very swift at that. Once I get my table, I am done with them, too many choices to put up with companies that could care less about customers.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I placed an order for a rug promising 2 day delivery and after two days discover item hasn't even shipped yet. Customer service zero help stating that 2 day delivery only offered in limited zip codes which was not made clear on their site. I live in a suburb of Hartford, CT. not a rural location and clearly the promise of 2 day shipping is false advertising meant to lure customers. Also informed once item finally ships it will be additional 3-6 days before it is delivered. This company clearly deceitful in their advertising practices. They have lost a customer.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I got Brother TN630/TN660 High Yield Black Laser Toner Cartridge (Pack of 3) as a gift a year ago. Obviously I won't need to use all 3 cartridges for a long time. After about 6 months, I just opened one, and there's nothing in it. It had been sealed up as it came in the packing box and it was dead. When I contacted online chat from Overstock, she asked for the order number. Of course I don't have it. I gave the person's email who bought it but she would not help me without the order number. I happen to keep the toners in the original box just for storage, so I thought the order number might be there. She kept saying it starts with 21, but nothing on the box starts with 21. I asked her where the number is and she just didn't answer. She just kept typing she can't help me without the order number. Terrible customer service.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

On July 15th I ordered a pair of Madison Park Whitman Jacquard, in blue/brown. The curtains were not what I ordered. They were brown even though the pkg. said blue/brown. I live in Canada and when the curtains arrived at my home address I paid FedEx 39.19. I contacted Overstock C/S. I explained that even though the pkg. said blue, the item was definitely brown. I also mentioned that I paid FedEx for a wrong item that was incorrectly shipped out from Overstock. If I had received the correct item, I obviously would have had to pay FedEx. An RMA label was issued. The item was returned via UPS on or about July 28. A refund was issued for the curtains and also for FedEx charges to my PayPal account. (To complicate matters, I use Reship, in Oregon for orders originating from the US. This is the address they have on my file. Reship will then forward items to my home address in Canada using FedEx).

I made a second attempt to order the same curtains in blue. The order was placed on July 24. Again, the same thing happened. Brown curtains were shipped out not blue curtains. I contacted Overstock, and again explained the shipping error. A RMA was issued and returned August 10. I tried explaining that I also paid FedEx charges for the wrong item sent out by Overstock, but to no avail.

The rep. didn't understand that since I was asking to be reimbursed for FedEx charges as previous, it was only fair that I receive reimbursement the 2nd time for Overstock's error. He/she kept insisting that I did receive a refund and a free return label. Damn right OS should provide a free label. It was their error! They dont want to take responsibility for the mistake. Yes, I did receive a refund for the curtains, but not for FedEx costs of 25.71 CDN. I am NOT the one who made the shipping error! I ordered the correct item, but received the wrong one. It was not my fault. Ordered other items from OS in the past with no issues, but I will no longer be ordering from OS! Disappointed in OS.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I purchased a laptop computer on August and it was advertised as new. Comparing to Amazon.com, Best Buy and B&H, it was overpriced. I called and ask for price adjustment, the CSR was very rude and she told me they couldn't cancel the order. WTF! It was 2 hours after I placed my order. I called AMEX and they took care of the issue. Seriously, this shady company is by far the worst company to deal with speaking from my 20+ years online shopping experiences. My mailbox is full of their spam messages with false advertisements w/ coupon codes. Their coupon code literally excluding everything. Buyer be aware! Take your business somewhere else.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

On 08/04/18 I purchased a Della 24000 BTU 22 SEER Mini Split. The item was sold via Marketplace seller OneBigOutlet/RGE Motors. The AC was shipped damaged from OneBigOutlet damaged and simply in a thin cardboard box. Since it weighed over 120 lbs it was damaged and punctured where oil and gas was leaking out of the outdoor unit. After 12 plus phone calls with Marketplace seller OneBigOutlet and 15 plus calls to Overstock.com customer service I am still out a refund. I sent back the indoor unit and the Marketplace seller has the nerve to tell me to dispose of the damaged outdoor unit at my own expense. I have never experienced such a poor customer service process and now must seek merchant credit reversal with my financial institution.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

It was sold as new. I got it used with dried soap in it. A hair on it. And scratches. Disgusting. Overstock told me it was the actual company that sold it. I guess Overstock is a place where companies sell returned items.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Missing parts. Cheaper, wrong items. Extra charges to get those parts. They gave me three options: buy more stuff from them for a year, receive $20 (both items were more than $100), or return my item. I’m still making phone calls back and forth a month later trying to resolve something that should have been resolved in February. I’m glad I paid with PayPal. Do not shop here, no matter how tempting the item. It’s not worth it. They will rip you off.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I have made 2 large orders from Overstock and both were missing items. Had to contact customer service at least twice each time for missing items. Receiving the “lost” item took longer than the actual order. One item was a 26x26 pillow. It had been stuffed into a much smaller bag. It took several days for the pillow to return to its normal size. I am so done with Overstock. There are many much better sites.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I contacted O.com customer service last week when I realized that the furniture delivered to my house was a different brand than what I had ordered. I had already started putting the dresser together because it looked identical to what I had purchased, but when I broke a part and needed to order a replacement, I realized that a cheaper brand had been sent to my house (I looked the prices up for each brand on the manufacturers' sites to compare them). Customer service said I'd have to take apart the dresser and someone would come pick it up for me for a refund, but that is extremely inconvenient. It just seems very underhanded that this company would send a product that looks just like the one advertised but is much more cheaply made.

The nightstands were also supposed to be both the brand advertised on the site, and they were the cheaper brand, as well. So, this wasn't one isolated incident with the dresser. The interesting thing is that their site doesn't even have Bush Furniture (the imitation brand) as a product that you can purchase, so they have to be intentionally stocking their warehouses with cheaper products to send out hoping people won't notice or won't notice until it's too late like I did. I will not be purchasing anything in the future from Overstock. This is a case of false advertising, and they can be sued over it, but I just don't have the time or resources to do it on my own. Maybe a class action lawsuit would make them be honest about their products and deliver those that are ordered instead of scamming their customers.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

So I ordered a couple beds from Overstock I realized I got the wrong size for one. This was about 3 hours later and they said I’m pretty stuck with it. I text one worker then I called my bank to try and get a stop payment then I went to PayPal to try and cancel and all of these are a dead end. They don’t accept returns. But they will put the request into the office and someone should contact me in 1-2 business days... So that means NEVER!!! Lol So I’m wasting money. This place is a joke. I will NEVER order from there again.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I am new customer. When you chat with someone they all say they can help but they can't even see your cart. Then if you go to another page you have to start over with a new chatter. After half hour of that is enough. They tell you will get a first purchase discount but how do you get it. Site is totally mismanaged.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

If you are shopping at Overstock.com you are shopping at a risk. Customer satisfaction is not their motto. "You buy it, you stuck with it," is more appropriate for them. You shop on their line but if you need to return exchange anything you have to deal with the seller not Overstock. You would think they would have some contract with the numerous sellers in regards to return policies on items especially since they are selling under its name. But they do not. Consumers are assets a restocking and shipping fee if you are not satisfied with your purchase.

I purchased several items from Overstock.com totally well over $1400. One of the items that I paid $200 for went on sale 48 hours after I purchased it. Most places will as a courtesy refund or extend that sale price to you since you just purchased it. I was passed like a buck by Overstock to the seller, who told me I could return item but I would pay shipping and a 20% restock fee. The shipping and restocking fee would cost me double the money of the sale reduction. Will never get me again! BUYERS BEWARE! Shop at your own risk!!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

We bought expensive mirrors from Overstock and when we returned them, Overstock kept 1/3 the money even though the mirrors had never been taken out of the boxes. These are greedy people. They have lost thousands of dollars because I will never buy from them again. I bought other expensive things from them and had no problems because I had never returned anything.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Do not order from Overstock. I’ve been constantly contacting them to return an item that was broken from delivery for a replacement and or refund. They are supposed to contact the buyer within 1 business day for return instructions. They keep saying, "We will contact you in 1-2 business days," and they don’t. This company is a rip off and trying to get $110.00 dollars replaced or refunded that they owe me back from this company is a nightmare! They are crooks! Stick to Amazon. Buyer beware! I will never use this company again!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Just wanted to warn my fellow shoppers who are always looking to find a great product for a lower price. I recently purchased two bathroom vanities from Overstock. I thought I did my research on finding the best price, but after I purchased the products, I found Home Depot had the SAME product I just bought for $400 more from Overstock. : ( I contacted Overstock to find out if they price matched, but they don't. Definitely learned my lesson. When it looks like it might be a good deal/price on Overtsock, do more research and you will most likely find a better deal somewhere else.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Before placing an order I was in contact with Customer Care. He was going to sell me the bed for the lower price (they change prices almost everyday) than they had. First I had to buy it for the new higher price that he would credit me the difference in 2-3 days. Well it's been a month now and I haven't received anything back. Low quality furniture for the price they want. VERY disappointed in this company. Never purchasing anything from them again.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

This Baxton Studio Accent chair was the first and last purchase I will ever make from Overstock. The expected shipping date was 5-8 days... I checked the tracking # only to find out the package was damaged in transit. Overstock had no plans to even inform me of this issue or begin the shipment to send me a new one. It was not until I called and had to waste an hour of my time on the phone dealing with difficult reps before They would send me a replacement chair. Then after 10 days of checking the transit info for the second order, I see the package begin to move away from my house.

I call and I'm told there was a scanning error and my chair would be delivered the next day. The chair comes the next day packaged in an outer and inner box (both are destroyed) and a leg is broken off. GUESS WHAT, they left my packing information on the inner box. So when I called to complain they clearly just panicked and sent me the original damaged chair. I have items delivered to my house monthly via UPS and I have never had an issue. This was my first purchase from Overstock and I had more issues than I can name.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I ordered a large leather sofa on July 31 and the item was delivered to my home in August 3rd. The free, white glove delivery included minor assembly, trash removal (the item was quite large and very well packed so I was glad to not have to deal with the leftover packing materials) and delivery to my room of choice. The sofa is beautiful and exactly as advertised, including color. I can't believe how quickly it arrived. I had actually ordered a sofa for another room from another company about a month prior and fully expected this to be the first one I purchased. Because of this, I had the wrong room cleared out and the pathway I'd cleared to be helpful actually obstructed the route they needed to take. The delivery service was prompt, courteous, and efficient and waited patiently for me to clear a new path. I am very happy with my first experience with this company.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I recently moved (probably common for a lot of Overstock.com customers). My first shipment was scheduled to be delivered on the Friday of the weekend we were moving. That date was fine but for some reason, it got changed to Monday instead. As we were no longer going to be at that address, I gave them my new address to send the shipment to instead. However, because it was already in transit, they couldn't change it. Now, 3 weeks later they are sending me something at the old address again!!! They will not accept any kind of responsibility. They will blame the customer over and over again. No matter what, it is never their responsibility! So if you are looking at another site with a similar product, I would definitely advise to stay away from Overstock.com or be prepared for something to go wrong because it will!!!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Every customer service rep kept me on the phone for 1/2 hour minimum, wrote notes and then I had to be transferred to the supervisor who had to go through the entire process again. I spent upwards of 2 hours "talking" and explaining the poor, amateurish service I had received. I even had full NAMES of the employees, but that did absolutely nothing for me. There is ZERO accountability this company, the reps are polite, but totally ineffective. They just repeat the company policy -- ripping off the customer -- over and over again like robots. It's kind of scary.

I received the wrong order and it was missing pieces. I lost more than $700 in labor fees and lost rent because my job went astronomically over budget -- all because this greedy company couldn't get my tiles -- the correct ones-- here on time!!!! They forced me to pay for additional tiles, even after I had spoken with 6 customer reps!!!! HELLLOOO? Anna **, Dom, Steven, Janelle, Renee, John **, Jacob ** -- I hope they are paying you well, because I got ZERO service and nothing was done to comp my order.

What is wrong with this company. Very sad commentary on the state of customer service. I told them they would lose me as a customer and they just repeated the little "script" about "We've shipped your order"... "it takes 2-6 business days"... So very sad and pathetic. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT bother using this company. Go to a local supplier and save yourself the aggravations I had and am still having until my $400 order arrives. Thanks!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I ordered a Gayle 52" wine bar on July 11 and paid 50 dollars for 'white glove' service (place it in the room of my choice and remove all the packing material). 3 weeks later I received an email from their shipping company asking me to set up a delivery date, with a number to call. I called the number and received the following message "due to an extremely high volume of calls we cannot take your call at this time, please call back later." No way to leave a message. I call back 4 times and each time, throughout the day, no matter the time of day, get the same message.

I finally get through after a few days (!) to a person who says my deliver "window" is 8 AM to 8 PM on a Tuesday. Meaning I have to take an entire day off to monitor my front door and wait for delivery. It came in the afternoon and when I unpacked it. It was damaged. I refused the delivery. On the same day I put in a ticket to Overstock saying I refused the delivery and would like a refund. I got an automated response that said "customer service will contact you within 24 hours." Days passed and no response, but they did refuse to publish my one star review of this product. I paid 1300 dollars for this item. It came damaged. I refused it, never signed for it and it went back on the truck same day. I have contacted the company multiple times with no response, no refund, nothing. Total silence.

I will contact my credit card company and request a chargeback. If this company has done the same kind of thing to you, google "chargeback" and take it up with your credit card company. In cases where the product was defective or not delivered you the credit card company can in some cases place the money back in your account (credit you) and... This is the best part: remove the money from the seller's account (charge them). You have to have proof, which I do... I have a video of the delivery on my security camera, showing me refusing the product, and it being put back on the truck, I also have my delivery paperwork showing "refused" and no signature from me on the form, and all the emails, chats etc I have had with Overstock showing absolutely no movement on their part to refund me the money.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Well I see now why Overstock's customer ratings are so low. I ordered a rug that was shown to be a certain comfort and for a kid's rug was supposed to be fluffy and comfortable. When it was about 4 shades lighter than the picture and it was so cheap feeling and not soft that my kids said "Ouch" when they walked on it. Cost me $80 to send it back and the rug was about $120. When I called about that they said "We're not responsible if the rug is a different color or it is not great quality." GREAT BUSINESS MODEL!?? I will never be shopping from them again.

Original review: July 20, 2018

This order from them has been a total nightmare and still isn't resolved. I paid for four items and have only received half of my order. If someone would only look at the package, they would be able to tell the number of items in the package. Many phone calls and emails later, they have stopped responding. Will never order from this company again!

Overstock.com Company Information