Overstock.com

Compare Online Shopping Companies

Research top Online Shopping Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I received a gift for Christmas from participation in a gift exchange. I received two, from two different people, both from Overstock. One item was correct, the other was not: comforter set vs duvet set. Without trying to be rude to the gift giver, I want to exchange the one that I did not need but Overstock's policy does not allow this without informing the buyer. Not only is this inconvenient but this isn't something a gift receiver should have to go through. I am more than willing to return in Overstock box with original labels. Knowing this is their policy, this is the last time I purchase anything from them. I will be sharing with other family members who have also been loyal customers. This is just not right on Overstock's part.

We ordered a product that was advertised as a box of 8 (SAMPLE). We needed 5 boxes of 8 tiles, so we ordered 5. What we got in the mail was 5 individual tiles, for the exorbitant price of $25 plus $5 for shipping. We tried dealing with this company and telling them that if a sample was only one tile, they should have indicated in their ad (SAMPLE OF 1 TILE). The price of these five tiles was 3 times the retail price. We can not get any satisfaction from this company, even though they offer a money back guarantee. They still want to charge us the original $5 shipping plus $12 to return the 5 crappy tiles. I would never do business with this horrible group again.

I ordered a piece of jewelry back on Dec 18th for my daughter's Christmas present with an estimated delivery date of Dec 23rd. Order did not get processed until two days later and the initial delivery date was pushed back to Dec 28th. When I called DHL, they told me they hadn't received the item from Overstock and when I called Overstock, they told me the opposite. Bottom line at this point neither parties seemed to know where the item I had already been charged for was.

I was told by the Overstock rep that DHL did a bad job at updating their status and that the item would most likely arrive that day regardless what DHL had mentioned. The item never came. When I logged in the following day, the date was now pushed back to the 2nd of Jan and didn't arrive until the 3rd only to find out that the item was THE WRONG ONE!!! When I called back on the 3rd, Overstock placed a replacement order and said I would receive in 3 to 6 business days. I looked at the status on Jan 6th and not only was my replacement order cancelled but it is NOW OUT OF STOCK!!! Overstock has to be the most careless company I've ever dealt with. Just cancelled my 3K credit card and will never order from them again.

I went to Overstock.com to purchase "Avanity LEXINGTON-V36-LE Finish: Light Espresso" bathroom vanity. It cost $900 plus freight shipping, I got 5% off shipping, shipping cost me $54. After a week, my order had not arrived. I showed a friend online at Overstock what my new vanity would look like and I noticed it was on sale for $750 and free shipping. I "chatted" with Overstock, they said I never bought it from them. I said, "Your site took me to eFaucets.com for the purchase. Isn't that how Overstock works?" I asked. "Meaning you work with other vendors and you look for overstock items?" She said, "No you didn't buy it for us, I can't help you." I will never shop or recommend them again, their website is not safe if it is not supposed to other vendors. So I am out $300!

I order a refurbished HP Elite 8100 Desktop computer from Overstock & their partner Advanced Skyline Technology. $335. NEVER AGAIN. The computer arrived via UPS ground on time, but when I opened the box I was appalled at how poorly the computer had been packed. There was very little styrofoam around the computer. Mostly its sides were against the side of the box & there was room for it to flop around in the box. I decided not to keep the computer; even if it worked, I was sure the components had been compromised in shipping. I did not remove the plastic sealed covering around the computer. The ensuing fiasco of trying to return the item convinced me that both companies were doing everything possible to get me to "go away".

I could go into detail about how they do this, but basically, they drag their feet and do everything possible to get you to go away, including always saying that you need to contact "the other" party. AST does not answer their "customer service" phone. Overstock will routinely tell you that someone will contact you in 1-2 days (they don't). I finally got a return reference number from AST via email, followed the directions on Overstock's website and returned the computer via UPS, with tracking and insurance... to their Buffalo location. AST then told me that they had sent me via email a return shipping label (that I never got) and if didn't use it, I wouldn't get a refund for the shipping ($85).

When the computer arrived in Buffalo, I began contacting Overstock and asking when I would get my refund. Time after time I was blown off; until finally I got very angry and finally they said I would have my refund to me by the end of the day (it took two days). So, from the time I got the computer, it took 3 weeks to get the refund of $335 to show up on my credit card, but no shipping refund.

Sadly, I am convinced that this whole setup is a bit of a scam. For one thing, I found out that ADVANCED SKYLINE TECHNOLOGY (in Canada) pretty much just sells used company leased computers, and though they can legally call themselves a "Microsoft Refurbisher", this only means they have the right to re-image a computer with Microsoft Windows Operating Systems; it has nothing to do with the quality of the repair work or their service. By the end of the process, they made me feel like I was the one who did something wrong, but THEY were the ones who screwed me over & they don't even care. The way this computer was packed for shipping was a joke.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Overstock.com?

I purchased an upholstered headboard online with no problems. After receiving the item, I just needed to exchange it from a King to a Queen. However, they were out and told me they did not do exchanges. I would have to return to bed, wait for my credit and reorder another bed costing me a $35.00 shipping fee. The young lady was nasty and did not offer to assist me with finding another headboard or even apologize for being sold out. I ask to speak with her manager and she processed my return and she hung up the phone in my face. I then called back, had to give all of my information to the next customer service agent before they would allow me to speak with the manager. I will never order from them again. Wayfair.com, here I come.

I ordered an item from Overstock a week before Christmas (12/16...finally found an item my wife was wanting). The price was right, but for some reason, the item didn't even show shipped for 5 days after the purchase (12/21). I know the weekend probably got in the way, but the item should have been shipped Monday, not Wed. Now, it has no delivery date, and according to the tracking number given, it's not even picked up, yet. So much for any chance of having it for Christmas. I'll likely never do business with them again, and won't recommend them to anyone.

After being a loyal customer for over ten years, it will be a cold day in Haiti before I shop or recommend Overstock to anyone. I placed an order on December 16th for a pair of Men's Classic Mini Deco Ugg boots. They were a Christmas present, so I wanted to allow plenty of time for the package to arrive. On December 19th, I received an email notifying me that the boots had shipped. The email not only confirmed the order number, but also my correct shipping address.

On December 21st, I received another email notifying me that the boots had been delivered to my shipping address. When I arrived at my office there was no package. I immediately went online to check the tracking number. I had received an email confirmation saying the boots were delivered to my business address, I was confused as to why nothing was there. The tracking number showed they were actually delivered to an address in San Jose, California on 12/21/16 instead of my shipping address as indicated in the email.

I immediately called Overstock and spoke to Parker who said the tracking number was most likely mixed up, and associated with another package. He then said he would put trace on my package, and if it didn't show up the next day, they would refund my money and ship out a replacement pair of boots. Great, but I still would not have my Christmas gift in time.

UPS confirmed Overstock gave me an incorrect tracking number, and the other package that went to California had the correct person's name and address. They also had no information, tracking number, or any record of my package. I then called Overstock back and shared this information. They finally admitted that they had no tracking information either, and had no clue where my package was. At this point I'm beyond upset.

And to add insult to injury, Overstock refused to overnight the replacement boots to me as a courtesy. NOPE!! And I had to call back to get the new tracking number and be told the new boots wouldn't be delivered until January 3, 2017. Another slap in the face. Now I'm having to wait 4 weeks to receive my present. It would have been nice to get a new email with the new order and tracking numbers. I received nothing. Thanks for ruining my Christmas Overstock with your poor customer service and business practices. I will NEVER order from Overstock again. The poor customer service and nonchalant attitudes from customer service reps is unacceptable. It is my mission to share this review on Yelp, Better Business Bureau, Consumer Affairs, social media, etc.

I am very disappointed in the product I received. I was looking to get new dog's beds for my bulldogs for Christmas. I found Overstock through Google. After reviewing the site I thought wow how great. These beds look nice and it's a great deal. I purchased an extra large dog bed. When I opened my package a few days later it was beyond small. My 45 lb. bulldog could not comfortably fit in the "extra large" dog bed. Not only was I ripped off by the size it was extremely overpriced for what I got. I would not recommend Overstock to anyone!

Postal delivery is terrible. I order the dog bed almost 3 weeks ago and I paid for shipping. It's still not here. And the company is advertising order now and it will be there by Christmas. That's a joke! Can't get no one to answer my questions.

I am trying to return some used/not worn earring to Overstock and they are dragging their feet. The earring were $800 and when I received them I took them to my Jeweler for inspection. He found a chip on the stone and many of the diamond not even. He called the earrings low quality. I immediately tried to return them with all original packing. They have stopped the return process and are dragging their feet. It seems like they don't want me to return them. I was very careful to read the return policy and have done everything within that policy, but they still will not send me a return label and refund my money.

I ordered 2 pairs of curtains from OS.com online. In less than an hour, I called to cancel the order - I realized that the color was going to be off - not matching the paint and decor of my bedroom. I was told it was too late, that it was already in the system. I told them I would have to refuse delivery from UPS which I did - I marked the unopened box Return To Sender - Refuse Deliver. The very next day it was delivered back to me by UPS with a message that Overstock.com refused to accept it. How can they do that if I have refused deliver and sent back an unopened box?

Purchased a 3 piece duvet cover along with sheets to match duvet. I received the duvet cover first which they sent me the wrong color. I called & they apologized & they sent me the return label to send it back. The woman told me I would receive the correct color as quickly as I received the first 1 which was about 3 days. It took a few days for me to get the email that the package had been shipped. It shipped on 11/30. Tracked the package, estimated delivery was 12/7. It is now 12/12 & no package. When I track it through UPS, it shows the label has been generated but that's it. I contacted customer service through chat since it was after hours for phone & they said some other department will be contacting me within 1-2 business days & if they can't locate the package, a replacement will be sent.

So I need a replacement for my replacement? I'm going to contact customer service by phone tomorrow. I wish I would have read the reviews before ordering with this company. I really hope when I update my review it will be with good news. This was my first time ordering with Overstock and will probably be the last. Oh, I did receive the sheets. If I do not receive this duvet, I'm going to be even more furious, 'cause like I said, I ordered this color to match the duvet. I do not want to go through more hassle returning the sheets with this company.

After making one of several purchases I was promoted that I earned $10 cash back. I read term and conditions TWICE and could ascertain there was a catch but couldn't find the fees involved. I called and was told a monthly fee of $12.97 would be billed to my credit card. I'm sure it's illegal to NOT disclose the fees involved.

I ordered a refurbished Kitchen Aid mixer on black Friday. I paid for my item and for almost 2 weeks I kept getting the run around about how my item was out of stock but they expected to get some in within the month. I spoke (via chat) to SEVERAL of their customer service reps and got the same answer every time. "Rest assured you will get your item." Then I got a couple of emails stating they were not going to be getting any more in stock and my item would be cancelled. I was furious! This was a gift from my husband and now he doesn't know what he's going to do. They thought they could pity me by giving me a free O membership for a year and $20 in O cash.

This was my first order from Overstock and this happens. I had resolved that I would never order from them again but decided I would use their cash they gave me and be done. Guess what? The order is STILL processing. This company is the very worst company I have ever dealt with in regards to online ordering. I will never use it again and will discourage anyone from ever buying from there again.

I made an order on the 11th of November. Today is the 8th of December. My order is still pending. A total of $100 of my money has been stuck in pending for a month. Apparently when I checked out I missed a single letter in my email address. Now the customer service person can't find my account and claims the account doesn't exist, even though I have a screenshot from my paypal clearly showing that the order has been pending for a month. And I find it really funny that the order number on the bottom of this comment box is the same thing the customer service person kept asking for although I clearly explained that I never got the order number because I never got the order confirmation because I typed the email address in wrong. Like you literally have my name, my shipping address AND my credit card on file but I'm stuck in pending for a month because I made one spelling mistake. And the customer service just can't figure it out.

I ordered a rug & was sent an email that it shipped 11-29-16 via FedEx. It is now 12-6-16 & there has been no movement according to the FedEx tracking #. I chatted with Overstock today. They were no help. The online chat took 40 min. To be told there was nothing they could really do. The rug I ordered was very limited stock. I asked if a new one could be sent ASAP & if the original shows up I will send it back or refuse package. The answer was no I am just to wait!

One month has gone by and I have invested hours with customer service and same story "we apologize and understand - we are working on it." BS... save your time and money - don't buy from these guys... Terrible.

They canceled over a dozen orders I had placed saying that something on my address or phone number was not correct but after calling them they said that they replaced the orders. They then said that they sent some of the items and two days later again canceled my orders. I had to spend days and nights researching so many items to re-enter into another few orders and even though I missed several of the items due to cost, the total now was over $800 more than previously. This was because they did not want me to get so many discounts during the black Friday sales.

Now my items for troops overseas and families won't go through and I am livid. I can't believe they would lie so much and tell me that all is just fine and the next day the same thing happens. They canceled orders until the sale is over with and many items out of stock. I am contacting an attorney so that I can start litigation with Overstock for remedy to damages caused to me as a consumer. They offered, I agreed then they declined to honor the agreement as stated.

Never ever will I trust any business such as Overstock and will research it first. They cannot be trusted.

I am furious. I bought some curtains on Overstock and needed to exchange them because they were the wrong color. They told me it would cost $10 to ship them back (they deduct it from your refund), and then another $5 to reship the right color. Mind you, I paid $20 for them, so that's 75% of what I paid! Are you kidding me? I can't believe that is even legal! People need to know what they are in for before ordering. I'll keep them and sell on eBay, and I will NEVER shop Overstock again!! It is complete ripoff.

Well, to start with, some background. I am my mother's sole caregiver and she had some serious health issues over the past four months. It is just now that we are trying to get back to some "normalcy". It is at this point that my very distasteful interaction with Overstock and their returns department occurred. I had purchased dishes in July. When they arrived, they were inferior to the picture and description listed on Overstock's site so, I called, explained the problem, and was sent a return label. Before I even received the label in the mail - broken printer - all hell broke loose and dishes were the least of my concerns.

So, I finally had a minute today to turn my mind to returning these dishes. Well, Overstock's return department informed me that they were past due, no one in the company had the power to override the time frame and still allow me to return these dishes for a full refund. In fact, they told me, in this blessed and charitable time of year, that even if I did pick up the $23.00 postage, I would still only receive 20% back from the $130.00 cost of these dishes!

Therefore, I told the young lady whom I'd dealt with - who was kind, patient, and even sympathetic - that it was not her fault, but that Overstock and their policy makers should be very proud of themselves at this "giving" time of year and that I was sure they would have very clear consciences and very blessed holidays. I am livid at Overstock's lack of humanity and understanding for their customers! And all I have to say is, "Amazon, Amazon, Amazon!" And, "Wayfair, Wayfair, Wayfair!" Two sites that have always treated me more than kindly and fairly.

I ordered my 1000 dollar iPad Pro on Thanksgiving expedited, told that it would show up on Tuesday. However, Tuesday rolls around, no iPad. I call customer support and they say that it will now arrive Wednesday but they can't be sure because they don't speak to the warehouse and they can't tell when it's being shipped out. What are they there for??? I asked the same question. They asked me if I wanted a credit I said no I want my iPad. So they credit me the expedited shipping. So now, today is Wednesday, no iPad, no answers and lo and behold full credit in my account. What a waste of time and effort. I will never and make sure none of my family never shops on janky Overstock.com

Own a small business and ordered two pallets of ice melt. Called to inquire about shipping date. Was told I would receive a phone call in 10 days to set up shipping. Today I received an email telling me my order was canceled and refunded. Went to the website and the items are now listed at a significantly higher price. To be exact $1,293.50 more than what I had paid. Never shopping on this website again. Deleting account. They can take their $5.00. We're sorry and shove it.

The item was described as a Velour leisure suit but it was not Valour! It was a cheesy thin cotton material with poor construction. I returned it due to the horrible quality and they deducted shipping costs of $9 for a $36 item!!! Never do business with them again.

I was granted credit, $4,000 to be exact. I used only $800 and it was Christmas presents for my grand kids, and I was happy I found what they wanted so I ordered, then I get an e-mail saying it was all cancelled! I contacted Overstock and they tell me "loss prevention" does not have all the info they need from me to complete my purchase. I've never in life had a problem with credit or paying my bills. Loss prevention can go suck an egg! I'll happily take my business and excellent credit elsewhere.

I ordered two items from Overstock. One was a transition coat for the fall and the other was a 3-in-1 coat. Let's start with the transition coat. What I saw online was a chic, stylish belted transition jacket for a very good price. I was so excited to receive the package. All of my excitement quickly disappeared when I opened the package and was greeted by some of the lowest quality material I have ever seen used for outerwear. Additionally, the collar (which appeared stylishly large online) were about the length of a suit jacket. Finally, there are no pockets. No pockets on a fall jacket.

The second item was a 3-in-1 coat. I wish I could share more about this item, but I never received it. I did receive an email stating it had been delivered. Given that the first item (which had been purchased at the same time as the first) arrived at my house, I am not sure why the second item was sent to a FedEx pickup location. A location with an address I never received, so I have no clue where it is. Yea. Overstock will never get my money again. Shopper beware!

I just purchased drapes from Overstock.com and received them as expected. What I didn't expect is that one of their employees stole my credit card information and attempted two purchases immediately thereafter. I notice by this site that the very last review was for the very same reason. Again, it must be a practice of their because that person has almost the same amount stolen. Good thing is that I have an amazing credit card company that picked this up immediately and stopped the purchases. I am going to blast this every place that I can possibly run across that this company employs thieves or perhaps that is their business model where they make the most money. I am disgusted and will pursue if there is anything further that I can do to make sure this doesn't happen to others. I may not be able... but I can sure make others are aware. Shame on you Overstock.com... THIEVES!!!

The boots I ordered came in and from the outside it looked great, but it barely had a insole. It came detached from the sole. I had to put it in to cover the plasticky heel's hole. It was not comfortable when I tried it on. I thought for the price of $48 these would be a decent investment, but get this - I get the worse quality shoes and I have to pay $11 for shipping. I somehow, didn't pay for shipping when they try to sell it to me. But, for returns they either deduct it from your return or you have to pay when you ship it back. This was such a waste of time. Oh did I mention, the day I bought something on this website 3 hours later, my visa card was compromised. I had my physical card, but somebody had accessed my account (debit) from somewhere and spend $200. I am gonna make sure this gets to people.

My girlfriend ordered a memory foam topper from Overstock.com that was advertised as a 2 inch, queen-size, 3 lb. foam topper. When it arrived I suspected immediately that there was something wrong because the box was much lighter than it should have been. A memory foam topper of this size and density should weigh around 16 pounds, but when we weighed the box it was just over 11 pounds. After doing the calculations we determined this topper was made with 2 lb. foam, not the 3 lb. that was advertised. Lighter density foam has a completely different feel and doesn't last as long as foam that is more dense.

Without opening the box, my girlfriend called Overstock to complain. The customer service agent said she'd send a return label and would have them send the correct topper, so we thought the problem was resolved. We sent the topper back and waited for the new one to arrive. After waiting a week with no shipping notification or any other contact at all, my girlfriend called again to find out what was happening. The agent checked and said they had plenty of those 3 lb. toppers in stock so it should be sent out in a day or two. So we waited. Then a day or two later my girlfriend was notified by e-mail that they were out of stock on the 3 lb. memory foam toppers and were cancelling her order and refunding her money.

My belief is that they are cheating people by promising one thing and sending another, knowing that most people would never realize they were being cheated. But they knew we were going to weigh anything they sent us so they canceled the order. What else could explain them doing that when they had plenty of these in stock, or could have? Overstock.com has just lost two customers - FOREVER. The reason we knew to weigh the box was because of a previous experience with Overstock. I had ordered a 4 lb. memory foam topper a few years ago for myself, but when it arrived I suspected it was not 4 lb. foam because I had another 4 lb. topper and knew what that density felt like. I kept it anyway, but it always bothered me. After this experience, I went home and weighed that topper and discovered it was just under 3 lbs. density.

To see if you are getting screwed on memory foam, do the math. If it is advertised as 3 lb. foam, that means each cubic foot of the foam should weigh 3 lbs. So you figure out how many cubic feet of foam your topper consists of, multiply that by whatever density they advertise it as, and that's what the entire topper should weigh. Example: A 2 inch queen topper has 2x60x80 inches of volume, which works out to 9,600 cubic inches. To find out how many cubic feet that is, divide it by the number of cubic inches in one cubic foot (12x12x12 = 1,728) So 9,600/1,728 = 5.55 cubic feet. A 3 lb. density topper of this size should weigh 3 x 5.55 = 16.66 pounds.

Note that sometimes they sell toppers that are a couple of inches shorter in length and width than the standard sizes for king, queen or whatever. The rationale they use is that it makes it easier to get sheets on that way. Conveniently, it also means they get to use less foam in making that topper but still sell it as a queen, king or whatever size it's meant to fit. But that's ok, as long as they tell you that upfront and you can decide to accept it or not. If this is the case be sure to use those shorter dimensions in your calculations.

I purchased a 7 piece dining set and after 2 weeks of waiting for this to be delivered it arrived on a Monday with damage to the table. I called Overstock within an hour after delivery and was told they will get in touch with the dept that handles the large freight pickups and someone would contact me within a day to arrange pickup. I called again on Wednesday only to be told the same thing and that it takes 5 days to arrange pickup. I called again on Saturday and spoke to a gentleman who said his name was Johannas. He informed me that there was no notation that anyone has been contacted as if yet and that he wishes I would have called sooner!!!

I advised him this is the THIRD time I have called, that I want this damaged furniture picked up ASAP that is taking up my garage space and I want my 900.00 refunded! He said that "there is nobody in that department today, but will have it addressed Monday morning." I am livid at this point. I will be calling first thing Monday morning and if needed will contact the freight company that delivered it to me in the first place! NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY FROM OVERSTOCK.COM.

Overstock.com Company Profile