2.38/5
Based on 312 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 21, 2018

781 Overstock.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 21, 2018

I Purchased several Safavieh rugs approximately 1 1/2 years ago. One of the rugs had a slight discoloration in one spot of the yarn approximately the size of my thumb. But rather than complain about it I opted to just accept the rug with this minor color difference. You can imagine my surprise when one month ago that particular spot started lifting out of the carpet. On closer examination I discovered that there was actually a hole in the rug that someone either at the manufacturer or at Overstock had tried to cover up falsely by gluing yarn into the hole. In my opinion this is not a warranty issue because it was a deliberate attempt to falsify and to cover up a defective piece of merchandise.

So I appealed to Overstock.com for a replacement. Given that I had spent over $700 on rugs you would think that replacing this runner would not be a big issue especially since the honesty of this company is seriously in question. But Overstock refused to even hear my complaint, just constantly saying it’s outside the warranty. It seems to me that when a company deliberately tries to fool their customers by covering up, This falls outside the warranty. There was no way at the time I got the rug that I could have seen that they had glued fabric fibers in a hole. It’s only now that the glue has dried out that it was obvious. Personally I will never do business with Overstock.com again. If you do, check your merchandise upside down inside out the minute you get it and if you have any question whatsoever make a complaint and return it. This is not an honorable company. Any company that would sell damaged merchandise and not disclose it is a fraud.

Original review: May 20, 2018

Ordered a cushion (Rolling Mead-Veranda Cosmo) for a swivel rocker. Online, colors appeared muted. When it arrived, the colors were brash and bold, gaudy. I opened the box and did a double-take. Amazon had the same cushion for a few dollars more. Thought I'd try Overstock. Never again. $13.70 to return the item (total order about $51.00). I'm sticking with Amazon. If I had ordered the cushion from Amazon, I could have returned it at no charge.

Get expert buying tips about Deal Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I recently purchased a bike rack that fits on the back of an RV / travel trailer. The rack did not fit the bikes so I attempted on three separate occasions to contact the company. No response. They are the worst I have seen with customer service. I will never buy another item from them. Do not waste your money. Compare this treatment to someone like Amazon for example. I have never had a problem returning an item. Very bad company.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Overstock.com. Oh, what a lovely thought to go shopping there. Good prices, interesting item. But let me give you one hint... DON'T SHOP AT OVERSTOCK DOT COM!!! I had something interesting happen to me. They almost always have a promotion - open up your Overstock card, and then when you shop, you get interest free for 6 months, 12 months, 18 months - depending on the amounts.

So, I already had a card, but went there to buy my husband's Christmas gift last year. I bought a 8" electronic gps telescope - good brand name, not a cheapie - and budgeted to make sure I paid it off in less than a year, paying no interest. Now, at checkout, they hound you - JOIN THE OVERSTOCK CLUB O! You get credit back on all purchased to buy more, plus a coupon to use on your first purchase!!! So, even though you had to pay to join Club O, I figured the discount, and joined up - it saved more than it cost.

Now, as this year has gone on, I've paid about 1/5 of the bill each month, my intent to pay it off in May - 5 months, so definitely within the interest free period. However, last month, I noticed that there was still about $89 due after what I showed should be the last of my pay, so I went online and found my way through about 6 screens before I could finally pull up a copy of my statement (us folks who do online billing only don't get these statements). They've been adding interest every month.

I went ahead and paid what I thought I still owed, then contacted customer service to ask that the interest be removed, per the promotion at the time of purchase. After going through two different folks, they finally upscaled it - and I got a letter today. In the letter? Because I took a promotion that offered cash back and/or discount (remember the Club O they keep thrusting at you?), I did not qualify for the interest free. Needless to say, I paid the interest, but they have now lost my business in the future. I hope the <$90 is worth the loss of over $1000 each year!

Original review: May 18, 2018

In an effort to reduce my time spent with this issue I will paste here the written review I submitted to Overstock.com after not getting a full refund on a stair runner (rug) that is many shades darker gray than what is shown on their website's product description. The purchase price was $65.99, the refund was made to me for only $49.99. I purchased the rug based on the light shade of gray that compliments the light gray walls with white trim. I returned the item and explained the reason for the return and the request for full refund as the item was incorrectly depicted on their website.

(According to their refund policy they will consider full refunds and void the restocking fee under certain circumstances. I expected that an inaccurate product description with accompanying incorrect picture color would warrant a full refund. I also called their customer service department and was told I would get a call back from their "legal department" within three to four days. Two weeks later, I'm still waiting for the call. Incidentally, the rep said the color seemed right to him - not having seen the actual rug) In addition, I wrote the review below, which of course was denied publishing by Overstock.com. Lastly, I responded accordingly to a Survey request from Overstock, and none of this lead to a return call or full refund.

I see there are hundreds of complaints about this company, many about their return policy and so I'm adding mine to make buyers aware of the fact that at least in my case, a product was misrepresented online by providing a photograph that shows a light gray rug, with a light shade very much in fashion these days. The actual rug is basically a dark charcoal color that will not work for anyone making the selection based on the depicted color. See below for my complaint to Overstock.com that will also serve its purpose in my review in this site, ConsumerAffairs:

"Buyers beware: The color depicted with the item description is far from accurate. More than likely you will return this rug because the color is many shades darker than the light gray shown on Overstock.com AND you will not be refunded for the whole amount. Although Overstock.com indicates that in most cases a return fee will be deducted from the purchases, it's not fair to be charged for this fee as Overstock is misrepresenting the item. I rated the item poorly only because I had to get buyers attention. The item appears to be of good quality so I solely blame Overstock.com and not the manufacturer for misrepresenting the item's color. I ordered this carpet for my Center Hall Colonial stairs because of the light gray color shown with the item's description. The color shown is the very trendy light gray design seen in decorating magazines, pictures of staged homes, etc. It's not used just for rug design but also on pillows and draperies.

Although it's probably overused by now, it does add a touch of contemporary when updating rooms, I was disappointed to find the rug to be much darker, basically charcoal gray, and not the light color as shown. I returned the item with my written reason and the request for full refund as the return was not because I ordered the wrong size, or color or just not liking the item. The reason for the refund is because of the color misrepresentation and I should have received the full refund, instead, an $ return charge was deducted from the refund. I called Customer Support; the representative actually did look at the item description and was somewhat argumentative by saying that a secondary picture showed it darker. The assumed reason for the darker image is because when magnified, not only the rug shows darker but the picture background as well.

I was told he would still pass the complaint to the legal department - gee, thanks for doing your job! And a week later I'm still waiting for the call. Obviously this vendor does not care for its customers. As a Realtor who also stages homes I would not purchases again from this company. I was hoping to add to my inventory credenzas, side tables and more but I will not do so from this company because I cannot trust the depicted colors, etc. Based on the reps argument, I expected a call where I would be told colors may be represented based on computer monitor settings and the like; my response would have been that most vendors provide accurate color representations. My computer is properly adjusted for color, in fact, I was able to match the exterior gray paint I used seven years ago, with a chip from the house exterior.

The color name and item number was unreadable as the leftover can had stains, so I could not use the can as a guide but upon matching the chip to paint manufacturer website I recognized not only the selected color but the name which I had forgotten. AGAIN: the item is misrepresented. I chose the rug due to the contemporary light shade of gray, the item actually is many, many shades darker, yet I'm penalized for the refund amount even though Overstock.Com misrepresented the item's color. BEWARE. As buyers, how can we trust ordering from Overstock.com if they will not treat us fairly in situations such as this?

Of course, my complaints will be directed as well to the Better Business Bureau and other pertinent consumer advocate services. NOTE that there are hundreds of complaints about this company, already filed with these consumer advocates, many related to refunds not being fully honored. Incidentally, I did get an email from Overstock.com asking me to participate in a satisfaction survey. I responded with my complaint; never heard from a representative either."

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Overstock.com?

Original review: May 14, 2018

After ordering 5 items for my home, four had to be returned due to poor quality, items not being as described online or items breaking down after one use. The website had constant problems when trying to make returns, customer service on the phone was not great and online chat customer service times out leaving the customer to have to explain their need over and over again to changing customer service agents. I had to pay out of pocket around $100 just to return the unwanted/unused items. Overstock does not cover the cost of returning items. The biggest mistake was purchasing an area rug for the living room which required me to borrow a truck and get a family member to help haul into the UPS store in order to return it. Not an easy task with a new baby! It also takes several weeks to get a refund after returning an item. Huge mistake ordering from this company.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I purchased this set a bit over a year ago. I have kept it under my covered patio and for the most part covered when not in use. After a year there was dirt on the covers and I removed all the covers and washed them. To my surprise they were completely damaged when I removed them. They all curled, up and shrunk to the point they are irreparable. Nothing on the labels (which are still attached) said that the outdoor cushions could not be washed. I contacted Overstock and their response was that there was nothing they could do because they only gave 30 days on the covers, they sent me instructions that said the outdoor covers should not be wet, this did me no good after the fact. Mostly if I had known that I would not have purchased cream color covers.

My only option is to buy custom made cushions which will cost more than if I just buy the whole set again. I am disappointed that I paid good money for something I expected to be an outdoor set and now have no recourse because I did not wash them within 30 days. I feel I was sold a faulty product that was not as described.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I ordered what appeared to be a robust piece of furniture from Overstock.com; an upholstered daybed. It arrived today ready for assembly, something that I missed in the product description. I wouldn't mind assembling if the product had some quality, but it did not. I had to miss work to receive the furniture and returning it would require more lost hours. In addition, they wanted me to pay the return shipping. I refused and they finally agreed to send me the "label" free of charge. However, the daybed came in 3 heavy boxes. By this time, I've had it. Just not buying from them again and warning others to stay away.

Original review: May 7, 2018

DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY. As others have said the "free shipping", "free return" comments are pure lies. They NEVER respond to complaints, phone numbers listed for them aren't answered. PayPal dispute is also useless. IF you get Overstock to respond, there is a "restocking fee" which in my case is almost as much as the cheap piece of garbage I received. RUN away from ever using Overstock.com.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I have ordered from Overstock many times. Quality and customer service always good. A few weeks ago I purchased two very large area rugs. They arrived within a few days. When we realized we were not moving after all, I cringed at the thought of how to return them. I did an online chat with someone who took care of the whole thing with ease! The person only charged me $23 for UPS to come to my home and pick them up... which they did the very next day! They refunded my money right away! I will not forget this extraordinary experience when buying things in the future. I have not had this much satisfaction with online buying in quite some time!

Original review: May 4, 2018

On March 24, 2018 a lady in California used the number from my Visa Debit Gift card to make two purchases from Overstock.com totaling $89.43. The card was in my possession in Indiana. She had her order filled and Overstock got their money. Actually they got my money and I got nothing. I have been in contact with them at least 10 times to no avail. At first I was told they would credit the amount back to my card, but then changed their tune and told me I would have to go after the card issuer. So a corporation with between $1.6-1.8 BILLION in yearly revenues refuses to give me my money back, a whopping $89.43... seems fair. We are talking .0000056 of ONE PERCENT. They allowed fraud to take place... they received money... the thief got her product, and I'm left holding the bag. Find other places to shop if at all possible.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I recently tried to purchase a dress form from Overstock, which is a pretty hefty purchase. I first went to their website. The item I wanted was currently out of stock. I discovered that the item was available on their sister eBay store. So I bought it. I waited several days for the tracking information, which was never given to me. The week it was supposed to be delivered, I got an email saying my order had been cancelled because of a stock shortage. I was disappointed, but what could I do? The same day, one of the same item came in stock on the website for almost double the price. This was very suspicious to me. It took a couple of emails from me to even get a response, and even then the response was very defensive and somewhat rude. I've asked for them to give me the option to buy at the original price, but I doubt much will come out of it. Very disappointed with them and their customer service.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I ordered a phone endoscope from them and when I read the description, it said "OS", Android, etc. The cost was around $15. When I received the item, it would not work on my iPhone. I emailed them telling them that the endoscope would not work on my phone. They then told me that it's only for Android. I honestly thought that "OS" was what my iPhone's operating system.

In order to get a refund, they want me to mail it "back to China"!!! The cost is $19. I told them that I wanted to ship it back to them at a domestic address and they said NO. I also told them that I refuse to spend more than the item is worth, and explained to them that they need to make the description more clearer like, "Will not work on iPhones." I'm really pissed that they won't do anything about this. I'm reporting them to the BBB, and will file a claim (dispute) with my credit card company... Then they'll have to pay.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Overstock.com is a terrible online retailer. You should not be able to advertise free shipping and free returns on your home page then be able to state the same policy on the purchase page and then provide a disclaimer about a restocking fee is small lettering or somewhere buried in the contractual language at the time of purchase. This is just pure deceit!!! Then their customer service people are just outright rude and not very helpful. Any company that is willing to lose clients over menial amounts like $25.00 or $50.00 because of your false advertising and disclaimers built into one of the many confirmation pages before a purchase which is deceitful will not be in business for very long. I do not lose customers in my business over menial amounts and poor customer service. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER ITEM FROM THEM EVER AGAIN!!!

Original review: April 29, 2018

I do a lot of online shopping. I first started with Overstock about 10 years ago. I am in the rewards program, which is very a reasonal price yearly. I have never been disappointed. They have everything. The rewards are great and I use them on my purchases. Even rewards for reviews. They are fast and reliable.

Original review: April 27, 2018

If anyone is considering purchasing from Overstock I would think twice. I purchased some pictures which had two sizes to pick from, there were no dimensions on the size differences, I tried to contact customer service to no avail. So I emailed them still to no avail. I should have just stopped there but I really liked the pictures and could not buy them in Australia. So I bought the large size whatever that might have been. After waiting four or so weeks still no pictures had arrived. I emailed them asking where my pictures were and yes no reply. So I went on the live chat. The lady told me because it was an international delivery she could not help me... No surprises there.

After a another conversation on the live chat link I was eventually emailed by an international representative who informed me that due to a technical issue my pictures had not moved out of America. She told me she would keep me informed on the delivery status, after some time I was informed that my order was being cancelled because the pictures had been returned to sender. I am so furious. I am still waiting for my refund, I will never shop there again and advise any would be buyers to beware!

Original review: April 20, 2018

On March 26, 2018 We ordered the Sleep Zone Supreme 10-inch Latex and Memory Foam Split King-size Adjustable Mattress Set. There have been many calls attempting to retrieve the company name and tracking number on the bed. The first call was on April 8, then April 9, with no information provided except they would let the oversize item team know to look into it. Called back on April 11, after contact I was sent an email from Ceceli ** that she was looking into the issue. Called back on April 14, could not obtain any information only that they would have the oversize team look into the issue. Called on April 16, and Ceceli ** was able to provide me with the shipping company of Updike shipping.

Contacted Updike and was told that the bed would be delivered on April 20, 2018 between 12 pm and 4 pm. Was told that I would receive a call about 30 minutes before delivery. Well on April 20th at 11:49 am I received a text from Updike shipping. The message stated that the bed would be delivered on Monday. I called and talk to Scott who informed me that there is nothing he can do and Monday was the best he could offer. I did inform him of the fact that I cannot go an entire weekend with no bed due to back issues. I asked if there was any way he could get it to me on Saturday and was told no they do not have drivers on the weekend. Told him to set it up for Monday and that I would be contacting Overstock because this is unacceptable.

I then contacted Overstock and asked to speak with a supervisor. I was asked if he could help me and I explained to him that many people have attempted with no success and I would like to speak to a supervisor. He asked, "Can you tell me what is going on?" Why deny allowing me to speak to a supervisor? So this guy proceeds to tell me that YET AGAIN he will escalate this to the oversize team. I asked if I could speak with someone in that department and was denied because they “Do not have a direct line”. So here I sit with the Overstock credit card wanting me to make payment and they can’t even get the bed to me.

Original review: April 17, 2018

We are remodeling our Leasing Office. We ordered 2 couches and 2 area rugs. A couple days after placing the order, I received an email saying the order had been cancelled. When I tried to contact Overstock.com about this, no one could give me a straight answer as to why the order was cancelled. Finally after multiple phone calls and live text chat, we found out because my name is not on the company credit card the order was cancelled. So we try to place the order again over the phone with the agent.

We explained multiple times we wanted 2 couches and the 2 area rugs. Not only did the agent only charge us for 1 couch, they failed to add in our discount code so we were charged incorrect prices. When we asked if they could rush ship us the furniture due to the inconvenience, they said sorry, they have no control over shipping. When we called back to add the 2nd couch and get the discount code, we were told they could not add the discount to the order. So we had to cancel everything to get the discount. Then after cancelling, we are told they are having computer problems and could not place our order at this time. Very piss poor customer service.

Original review: April 16, 2018

We ordered two glass and metal display cabinets. In the description, there was a note that the needed assembly. We were emailed a contact of someone Overstock had recommended. After three attempts, and no response, we decided to hire a carpenter on our own. After the items arrived, our carpenter came to start the assembly. After nearly completing the work, he pointed out that the metal frame was dented right across the front, and in two other places. We still had to pay him $500 for the time he worked. I called Overstock, and was assured that they would reimburse us. Two days later when we received the return goods authorization, we were told that they would not be paying for the carpenter. This is just BAD BUSINESS. They sent defective products, and did not stand behind them. OVERSTOCK IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY!

Original review: April 14, 2018

I bought a piece of jewelry during a financing promotional period: two months later come to find out that the financing option they offered was not applied to my account. I immediately contacted the customer service team who admitted that “not applying the promotional rate is a common problem” and she would escalate. Two weeks later, with no response, I contacted them again where I got a runaround between the Comenity Bank and Overstock. Worst call experience and it was clear their financing scam to gain interest was more important than keeping a client. Closed the account immediately and will never shop with them again. If you are thinking of purchasing with this company... Think twice.

Original review: April 10, 2018

It was my first time ordering with this company a couple weeks ago. Was excited to few cute things for my new office at work. I ordered an ottoman/bench, sunburst mirror and a decorative pillow for the bench. Pillow was fine. The sunburst mirror came first. Ha... What a joke. The pic looked like it was metal and very beautiful in a rose gold color. I would have thought at 39.99 with a 4 inch mirror that the rest of it would have been gorgeous. NOTTT. The thing was delivered with very obvious paint blotches everywhere and a mirror half popping out. Talked to vendor directly, they sent another one, less damaged but quality was that of soft aluminum.

Then 2 days later I get my $90 ottoman. Take it out of packaging and every flipping leg was loose. Couldn't screw in to save its life so obviously the innard screw mechanisms were stripped. So they're sending me another one that I need to take my time in shipping the other one back once I receive (and hoping not flawed). In the meantime, because I had these items delivered to my company have had several people ask what's wrong with the items as they've been part of the unboxing. What's worse? I chatted with Overstock.com about my overall dissatisfaction about being a new customer and essentially 1 for 3. They wouldn't even entertain the complaint. So ** overstock. Taking my business back to Amazon or Mayfair where it's respected!

Original review: April 9, 2018

My package was lost and I couldn't get my money back because they couldn't locate the package with the shipping company which is the definition of a lost package. Don't buy anything expensive from this website or anything if you don't want to risk.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I can't believe this happened. I placed an order on 4/5, received a promo coupon on 4/6, called on 4/6 to ask if they can apply this coupon to my order and they wouldn't do it because they have a 24 hour period to be able to apply and although my request was within 1 day, it was 3 hours over my placed order time. It's not the amount, it's the principle. Terrible customer service policy! I don't write reviews but this is ridiculous.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I ordered from Google Express and the item shipped from Overstock.com. I needed to return it and both Google & Overstock refused to help me. Both stated it was the other company’s responsibility to process the return. I HATE DEALING WITH OUTSOURCED PEOPLE!! All either side would do is regurgitate policy. They wouldn’t problem solve. I’ll never order from either company again.

Original review: April 5, 2018

A simple transaction is a 3 week affair. They blame 3rd party seller. I ordered from Overstock and they can't resolve my issue. Very disappointing from a company this size. Patrick Byrne, I would be ashamed of your level of service.

Original review: April 4, 2018

My experience with Overstock after 4 months was terrible. I bought in Overstock around August 2018 a desk and a chair. Both arrived without any issue. The products, in general, were satisfactory but, later almost two months before that my promotional rate expired, they were charging me almost $40.00 in interest for a $90 total amount that remains in my account with them. Means that they were applying an interest rate higher than 38%, that is an evident abuse. I used to buy online all of the time without any issue like that I had with this company, Overstock doesn't care about the customer, and definitely, I won't recommend them.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I purchased 2 chaise lounge chairs from Overstock. The first one was received damaged and the second has yet to be delivered. I contacted Overstock about the damaged chair and was told I had to deal with the seller. They could not help me. Well the seller is in China. After hours of trying I was able to get the email of the "Seller". I contacted them via email. Their response, "Get the product repaired locally," and they could help me pay for the repair. This is a brand new item - I should not have to have it repaired let along go through all the trouble and time to get it repaired.

I called Overstock and they again told me I have to deal with the vendor that they have no responsibility following the sale. I am still waiting for the second chair to arrive as they now tell me it may have been lost in transit. Please for your own well-being think twice before doing business with Overstock because as soon as they take your money they wash their hand with you and turn you over to someone in another county for service.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Ordered a memory foam Cali King mattress and box spring. The mattress arrived today, and I am pleased with the ship time. However, the box spring isn't expected to arrive until April 4th. The problem is, a memory foam mattress should NOT stay in the packaging for more than 72 hours for maximum inflation. With no box spring, I cannot open the mattress yet. This is aggravating, as the boxspring won't be here for another 6 days, well past the 72 hours.

Due to the weight of a fully expanded memory foam California king mattress it is unreasonable to inflate then wait 6 days for box spring to arrive to move it. I ordered them at the same time on the same day. There was NO notice that the box spring would take 6 extra days to get here. Sagar, the customer service rep didn't give a rat's rear end.

Told me to inflate the mattress and wait for the box spring. These weigh several hundred lbs and if you move them after inflation you risk separation. The mattress and box spring were ordered same day same time and expected same day. Their own website says inflate within 72 hours for maximum inflation. Box spring isn't expected for another 6 days, well outside of the 72 hours. I would like an apology, an explanation, compensation, something, anything. This is bs. I will NOT be using Overstock again.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I lost the TV. They did not refund fully. People don’t buy anything from them. They don’t take any responsibility for their faults. I lost 60 percent of my money because of their stupid mistake, they did not refund me fully. They instead abandoned the product rather than clearing the product. Their so called international specialist Karina hardly sits more than 20 minutes in her office. She did not even had the courtesy to tell me that they are abandoning the package. I had paid for custom duty and everything and also lost and damage charges. Still I only got. 40 percent of refund. Rest of 60 percent was eaten up by FedEx and Overstock. Jerks. They may look like offering cheap products but their customer service is horrible. Save your hard earned money and shop elsewhere.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I ordered an item from Overstock.com (Overpriced.com)! The delivery service, EFW, they use has been holding the product in L.A. for 2 weeks. I contacted EFW via email and then by phone. Both times they claim to have been trying to reach me to set up a delivery date and time. False! No one has tried to reach me before or after speaking with them. I contacted Overstock customer service and all you get is a poor excuse of a customer service agent who said "OK" about five hundred times and then a phony excuse they are sending a message to their shipping department to have them contact EFW. More run around. I want the product I paid for!!

Overstock.com Company Information