1.19/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

923 Overstock.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I ordered a toy for my grandson for Christmas from this site and paid extra than I would have from Amazon because the site stated it would arrive by Christmas. Lies!!! I received tracking and it won’t arrive till after Christmas. I contacted customer service and they would do nothing about it. They could have expedited the shipment but they don’t care. They care more about their margins than satisfying or improving their customer service satisfaction. I wish I had seen these reviews before ordering. Will never order from them again. Worst service ever.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I put in an order, paid extra for shipping to have it here for Christmas, said it would be delivered by Dec 21... LIES, now I am not getting till the 27th. WTH am I supposed to do on Dec 27th? Tell my kids that Christmas has been postponed for two days so you'll have to wait... VERY DISAPPOINTED AND WILL NEVER EVEN GET ON YOUR WEBSITE AGAIN. Good luck with your terrible lies and taking money for extra shipping and not delivering.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I bought this item and it didn’t fit correctly. Called to return and they said it was from a “drop shipper?” And had no record of purchase. Therefore, I am stuck with item. They said next time I order call direct and they will make sure it will be refunded. Won’t be a next time.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

It appears to be company policy to not issue returns upon receipt of the return but only upon contact from the consumer and proof that the item was returned (via tracking #). The company forces you to contact them and provide the confirmation number of the return. Luckily I kept mine but I know not everyone is as lucky. KEEP IN MIND WHEN ORDERING AND RETURNING.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

The 9' X 13' rug that I received from Overstock was not as described or as pictured. The website would not allow me to initiate a return and I was informed that Customer Service would contact me about the return. Customer Service promptly emailed me and asked for information, stating that they would follow up on the return in the next 1-2 business days to provide me with updates on the return. I promptly replied. Now, more than a week and 6 emails later, no one has responded to with instructions about the return and there has been no follow up. I am stuck with a very expensive rug (>$500) that I cannot use with apparently no recourse.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Overstock.com?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

After spending $400 for a rug, I was notified 36 hours later they canceled my order. When asked why it was canceled, they said it was low on stock when I ordered, and then they ran out so canceled it. But, I could order again now as they had more in stock (this immediately after I responded to the text about the canceled order). Seriously? I never received a shipped notice, so why cancel? Why not just send it out now that you have the inventory? Very poor service, and will never order from them again. No bone offered, just bad service.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

We ordered a bed from Overstock on 12/4/2018. It came on time however was missing the main part. We called customer service every day until today to get an update on the missing part. Each time we were assured a callback which never happened. No one knows what's going on and can't give us an update on our order status. Worst company to buy anything from. It's just a money making scam.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I purchased a large item with interest deferred when paid in full in 24 months. Every month I open my credit Account Summary page to view: Minimum Payment Due, Statement Balance, Scheduled Payments, Available Credit. Today I opened my credit account page to see my balance over $800.00 higher. I opened my detailed statement to find out that 6 days prior to today, my 24 months was up and I needed to pay off item, approx ($800.00) to avoid the deferred interest. I understand the agreement, but I'm very upset that Overstock Did Not email me a reminder AND they Don't have anything about this on my Account Summary page! Wouldn't you think this would be a good thing to have on my account summary?

When I called them, he kept on repeating that it was on all of the detailed statements emailed to me. WTF? The Account Summary page has all of the monthly information that I need. Why would I need to look at the detailed statement? (Except for when my balance increases over $800.00). I receive nearly 100 emails a month from Overstock offering me specials and discounts, but they can't send me ONE reminder of an upcoming event that will cost me over $800.00? Anyway, they refused to let me pay the balance to relieve me of the finance charges they added on 6 days ago. I cancelled my card and will take my future shopping elsewhere. SNEAKY CROOKS!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Overstock.com is a company with no integrity. They fail to act on anything and their customer service people do not have a clue. They only tell you what you want to hear to get you off the phone. Absolutely no follow up or responses whatsoever by phone or email. Once they have your money, you fail to exist. While on hold you hear their CEO talk about his company being the "best in customer care" on the internet. He is must not read any reviews or is completely absent from all company business. However, since Overstock doesn't participate in the Consumer Affairs Accreditation Program, I assume they don't want to be bothered by the truth and the fact that they are failing their customers. Their shipping company is as bad or worse. Will never do business with them again and suggest no one else should either. They do not deserve any stars.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I have ordered quite a lot from Overstock and had only 1 bad experience. When I contacted customer service the item that had been lost after shipping was sent via express service. I have ordered both large and small ticket items and love this site.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I am not going to lie upon ordering from Overstock.com. For my first time I was very apprehensive. I spent about a week looking at reviews online and trying to find all of the information I could about this company as I had never order from it and I had previously used Wayfair although I took the plunge. I ordered a $200 carpet from Overstock and it came within, I’d like to say five days, and I have been extremely happy with the way it turned out. The quality of it, the texture, overall. Everything about the rug is beyond my expectations. I’m a verified seller and I highly recommend Overstock.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I purchased the Colonial Rocker. I first have to say the product arrived very timely. Then when I opened the box, I had no hardware or instructions to put together. Have tried for 5 days to get hardware sent. I cannot even get a return call or email. Very disappointed in their warranty/missing parts dept. Will NEVER purchase anything coming from them.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Purchased sofa, a day later I received an email stating 6 weeks delivery, but that was not revealed in product description. Overstock also charged credit card instantly. Wrote review, there is a 3-5 business day wait if approved before posting it. Talk about editing feedback. This day & age should not take 6 weeks for freight. I guess instead of Overstock, they are drop shipping from China. I've received items in less than 6 weeks from China though elsewhere. I suggest contacting them directly before placing order and check on delivery times of an item.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I ordered a mantel with the electric fireplace (looked very nice online). I receive my package, took everything out and was almost done assembling it just to find out it was completely wrong from what I ordered. Called customer service and they emailed me my instructions and my return label and asked that I return the 100 lbs box and 45 lbs box myself to the nearest UPS store. They sent me the correct order, after I take everything out and start assembling it I realize that it’s broken. DEBBIE just told me to put the box outside my door and that she would send someone to pick it up and that was it. I was NOT given any information regarding a confirmation number/return labels. It sounds like it will take a while to get my $719 refund back, SMH???

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I have had two experiences with Overstock. The first time I ordered a $90 item and they cancelled my order and after some prodding told me they needed to verify my identity. Ok, fair enough. Their method was pretty extreme in that I had to send them a copy of my bank statement, a copy of my ID AND a photograph of me holding my ID! Amazing. But I did as requested and sent it in and eventually got my order released. I found that form of verification a bit extreme as this was Overstock the merchant running me through the hoops, not the credit card issuer (Comenity).

So a month later I choose to order another item that is fairly expensive. But I have plenty of available credit on my Overstock credit card to cover it, so I figure no problem. WRONG! Again my order gets cancelled and now they say I can't order the item because they want to see me have more time with my account?! What?! If I have a credit card with the available credit to make the purchase, why should they care what I order or for how much? Keep in mind this is Overstock Loss Prevention Paranoia department, and not Comenity Bank asking for and doing this. They basically tell me to use a different credit card or take more time and gain some experience with my Overstock account.

Now I am sorry, but after I proved to them beyond a shadow of a doubt who I was and that I had a valid credit card with the proper amount of available credit, WHY on earth would they tell me I can't buy a certain item with my credit card and I need to develop more time before they will consider me buying an expensive item?? Again, this is NOT the card issuing bank telling me this! This is the merchant, Overstock and their security department that clearly is staffed by buffoons! Never again will I consider shopping with this company. Cancelling orders when there is plenty of credit and identity verified and the item shipping to the billing address?? I am beyond words with it. Complete fools!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I wanted to order a quilt for my daughter's new bedroom and found one that I really liked. The price appeared to be pretty good with free shipping to Canada and I went to check out and noticed that it was actually quite a bit more with taxes and duties. I thought it was strange that it was the Canadian site and was being charged duties so I held off and tried calling them but they were completely unhelpful and told me it would be shipped from the U.S. thus the duties. It still didn't sit well with me, and why am I paying taxes and duties? Anyway I wasn't sure if I was going to purchase but the next day I decided I'd just pay the extra and order it.

When I went to check out this time, I noticed the price of the actual quilt was lower but they would now be charging me duties, tax AND shipping (the shipping alone was $40!). So now the same quilt I could have ordered the day before would cost even more. I called once again, and they told me they no longer offer free shipping to Canada. Moral of the story is don't bother with this company. They advertise to draw you into thinking you're getting a great deal and try to sneak in a bunch of other charges. Just don't bother. They have zero integrity.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I ordered a watch on Monday at 10:30 am, by 12:30 pm I had determined I wanted to cancel the order. I tried online to no avail. I then called Customer Service, I was then told I "could not just cancel" they had already sent the purchase to the warehouse for fulfillment. My response was to contact the warehouse and cancel the order. They then informed me they DO NOT have a number for the warehouse but rather they needed to send an email request that they could not guarantee would be looked at. (As a side note, this is after two 30 minute unsuccessful live chats.) I was then told I would get an email by end of business on Monday regarding the status. NO EMAIL received!!!

I then called Tuesday morning and again was given the same BS about how they can't contact the warehouse directly and they didn't know whether or not the request was even looked at and again I should wait for an email, which never came. On Wednesday morning I got an email from UPS that a tracking label was created Tuesday at 11:44 am, WHY!!! I canceled on Monday at 12:30, again I called and was told that there is nothing to do but wait to receive the item then send it back! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! Now this charge is sitting on my credit card because this company is incompetent. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER again will I order from them. HORRIBLE customer service, useless live chat. I can't wait to get the credit and be done with this nonsense. BUYER BEWARE!!!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I almost ordered a new TV from Overstock but I withdrew while on the phone with customer service. I had experienced several strange false claims and follow through issues from Overstock... I thought it was just strange. When I looked at the reviews I determined it probably wasn't strange but just how they operated. The .ca website says free delivery. I went to the cart and a shipping charge and duty showed up. The site gave me a CYBER17 discount coupon code but then in the cart said it wasn't valid. I signed up for the 15% off coupon with my email address and no coupon ever showed up.

I talked to customer service and no standing behind what is written on their website ever took place. I tried to order from their .com site to ship to the US and it kept bouncing me back to the .ca website. They clearly have a lot of issues but the most important are the false claims they have posted on their website that they don't remove. If they are doing that now you can only imagine what is going to happen if something goes wrong with your order. Not worth the hassle.

Resolution response: Nov. 29, 2018

I called back to Overstock and spoke with another rep by phone. She initiated a refund and the next day I rec the money back, thankfully. So I’m changing my review to a 3.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I ordered (2) 3.4 oz of Aqua Di Gio and received two bottles labeled it but it smells absolutely NOTHING like it. I didn’t even have to open the box to know because some of it spilled in the box during shipping. It made me have an immediate asthma attack. I contacted OVERSTOCK.COM the day we rec the package to discuss the problem of the “knockoff” cologne and I was told that the item is nonrefundable and that someone would call me in 2-3 days to discuss the matter. It has been 5 days and NO ONE has contacted me. I won’t purchase ANYTHING again from this place!!!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I ordered Phillips Hue A19 2 bulb starter kit on sale. I ended up receiving single bulbs instead. I called customer service and was told they would be unable to replace the item because it was out of stock. Reading on popular deal sites, people who ordered this item also received single bulbs so it was not a random error. This company is pulling a bait and switch with its product on purpose in order to draw in new customers. I am never buying from this company again.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I ordered a Keiko ottoman bench for $125. I did not like the color and immediately put it back in the box and returned it with their pre-printed label. They charged me $49 to return it. Are you kidding me? I'll never order from them again.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I recently ordered pillows from Overstock which were a good price and delivery was fast. I raved about Overstock to my daughter and she went to order a feather/down bed topper which was on sale for $136 which is a great price. When she went to check out they wanted $106 for deliver plus tax plus duty!!! She called and was told Overstock has decided to NOT offer free shipping to Canada any longer. The women (Gabriella) she spoke with in customer service was extremely rude and unapologetic for any changes the company has made! The interesting thing is the tape you listen to while being placed on hold said they pride themselves on being able to offer free shipping!! Bye Bye Overstock... Hello Wayfair!!!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I ordered a product on November 17th, 2018. This was a Clay Alder Home Mahned Dawson Blue and White 8-piece Reversible Comforter Set. I ordered this in twin and checked multiple times that it came with sheets. I received the product and there were no sheets. When I contacted customer service they told me that there was a mistake where you can not see that they don’t come with sheets. I repeatedly told the customer service woman that in three places the title, description, and specs all said that it came with a sheet set. What I had received is the Cathy Home Collection Twin Size 6 pc set. They proceeded to tell me that they can not send me sheets and the only thing they could do would be to refund me money if I returned the product.

I was also offered to buy a separate sheet set to go with it and they would apply coupons to it in order to lower the price to the best of their ability. Why should I have to put out more money for a product that didn’t come with sheets and was the wrong company? I will NEVER buy from this company again. I will not return the comforter set even though I was scammed out of my money for the sheets. I only hope that people will see this review for Overstock.com. Do not buy from this company. You are better off buying from a local store and spending more to get a better quality product.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

The customer care at Overstock is atrocious! I was looking to buy a new living room rug, I finally found what I was looking for at Overstock, the rug was listed as a 9'x12' for $47.99. That was the cheapest I found it on the internet. I decided to order 2 of them since it seemed like such an amazing deal! I saved a screenshot of the listing stating they were 9'x12', and I also chatted with customer service before I ordered to check that the listing was correct, since it was such an incredible deal. They confirmed the listing & product number were correct and that I would receive 9'x12' rugs. I saved the chat and placed my order immediately. Well, delivery day comes and I received 3'x5' rugs. They were obviously not even close to the correct size!

I checked my order confirmation, and it indeed said that I ordered 2- 9'x12' rugs. I sent a message through chat, they tell me that I did not order 9'x12' rugs, I ordered the 3'x5' and there is nothing they can do other than offer a refund, even after I shared my screenshot with the product listing. I am nearly 8 months pregnant and absolutely not in any shape to be dragging rugs out to be returned. They set up a UPS pick-up. Okay... but I still want what I ordered and paid for, which is 2- 9'x12' rugs. So I called customer service- they had me send copies of all the info I saved and said I would hear back via email. Again, "sorry, nothing we can do about it, the listing was incorrect". Sorry, but that is not my fault!

This is 100% a mistake made by Overstock! I should be sent what I ordered, not just offered a half-hearted apology. Had I ordered from another company, they would do what they could to correct their mistake and ship me the 9'x12' rugs I ordered at the price their website listed. What happened to the customer is always right??? I did my part, I triple checked specifically to avoid any confusion, now I will not have rugs for my Thanksgiving dinner I am hosting.

Overstock is not to be trusted and it is an awful feeling that you cannot order anything in confidence from them. I am so disappointed that they virtually made no effort to correct THEIR mistake, other than offer a refund and tell me that I can purchase the correct listing for a 9'x12' at an almost $400 mark-up. I have already taken my business elsewhere and ordered the same exact rug, 9'x12' size for nearly $70 cheaper than they have listed. Word to the wise, do not order from Overstock they are shady and deceitful.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I purchased a chair, ottoman, love seat & couch from Overstock.com... They delivered the chair & ottoman at 6 am while I was sleeping, during a rainstorm. They left the 2 boxes on my patio in the rain. Being a single woman who lives alone, I had a very difficult time dragging the chair up my front steps (6 steps). I call their customer service worried they would leave the couch & love seat on the patio. Their customer service rep assured me she sent email to warehouse & requested the sofa & love seat be delivered into the 1st floor of my home. The next day I came home from work & found the sofa & love seat, sitting out front on the patio. I was livid, but defeated. I have to pay someone to help me pull this furniture into my home, and can't get any help until the day after tomorrow. So the furniture will sit out front. NEVER BUY FROM THIS COMPANY, THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

11/13/18. I ordered some patio chairs and then changed my mind. I canceled the order while the status still said "processing". Overstock's return policy states that a full refund will be issued if the order has not been processed. They are now trying to charge a restocking fee of $111.00 because they say I refused delivery of the item. They were never delivered to me. This is completely untrue! I disputed the charge with my credit card and they are saying that Overstock provided a tracking number showing that they were delivered and I refused the delivery. They had to have manufactured this because it is completely untrue. I will never order anything from Overstock again.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I ordered a futon frame and mattress. I was offered two colors, brown and green, I choose green, I got beige. The frame is nice and the mattress is adequate. When I contacted the company about their error, they apologized and asked if I wished to return it. I said yes but it was not practical. The mattress weighs about 100lbs and was packed in a very large and damaged box. The only way to open it was to cut the box and shrink wrap. They said they could refer me to U-Haul for packaging to return it. There is no way I can lift, or drive it to U-Haul to have it packaged and shipped. I told them I was disabled and they offered a $53 credit not cash as a consolation. I have yet to receive that. They also said they would refer me to parts department for matching pillows their gift.

When parts got back to me they said there were no matching pillows which is what I told the first guy. They said they called me and left a voicemail, I have no record of either on my phone. They then sent a message they were shipping a new mattress and I have to return the other. I cannot do that so I will have to refuse the shipment if I am here when the damn thing comes. This has been a horrible experience and I would not shop with them again. I think they know when they send something large and sent compact they have the customer under a barrel because we can't ship it back. The other thing that is very bothersome is I now have some kind of cookie they put on my computer that puts a picture of the set I bought every time I make a search and on my Facebook. I get be reminded of the pain many times a day now.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

The $158 - 8' x 10' area rug came when promised. To open it we had to cut into box and wrapping. We laid it out, but color was slightly off on one end. It also was buckling throughout. We tried to stretch it, roll it back up opposite way, but nothing worked. I "chatted" with them concerning these issues. I wanted to return it, so they were going to take $32 out of refund for mailing it back through UPS. Then we would have to purchase shrink wrap to mail it since we had to cut into original packaging. So with that added cost, it would be over $50 to return it. NOT WORTH time, money, or effort. I would never buy anything from them again!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I was about to spend over $1500 on Overstock.com on some backyard playground equipment for my daughter when I saw an offer for 18 months no interest when you apply for a line of credit at the check out screen. I applied for a line of credit and was approved. Excited I’d have a year and a half to pay off the $1500 purchase I even purchased their Gold Card Membership also. I anticipated many future purchases.

Fast forward 4-6 weeks later and I get my first bill... with INTEREST!?? I expected to see a giant zero in the interest section. Nope. Over $20 in interest. So I called up Overstock.com to straighten it out. After the usual IVR system run around I finally got on with the credit card dept. A few minutes into confirming all my info I come to find out that indeed that promo offer was NOT applied to my new line of credit. He made it seem like maybe I didn’t qualify for the promo. No. It clearly said with a credit line approval receive 18 months interest free. I was approved. It should have been that simple.

He then said there was nothing more his dept could do for me and that I’d need to speak with the bank that issued the line of credit- Comenity Bank. Really??? It was on the Overstock.com website I was offered that line of credit. Ok fine. So he offered to conference me in to Comenity Customer Service where he would remain on the line silently. I said fine, ok. A representative finally hops on the line and I go through the whole story again with her. She sighs loudly like she had WAY better things to do than hash this out with me. Basically she said from what she could tell that I didn’t SELECT the 18 month no interest option.

What??? Select?? I’m fuming at this point because I definitely don’t recall seeing an OPTION for no interest. I qualified for the line of credit, which included 18 months interest free. Period. Nope. Now it’s an OPTION. I requested as calmly as I could manage for her to FIX the account so it reflects the interest free “option”. No can do, she says. Once the application is submitted that’s it. Seriously??? This. Is. BS. No bank should operate this way. Is that all ma’m? I guess we were done. Meanwhile the guy from Overstock.com was still on the line. After hearing the whole thing... "Is there anything else I can do for you ma’m?" Unless you can turn off the interest calculator, no. No there is NOTHING more you can do for me.

Clearly threatening to take both Comenity Bank and Overstock.com to the Better Business Bureau and filling a complaint against them fell on deaf ears. The could not have cared less that I, one former customer out of thousands, would pay their stupid card off and never do business with them again. Truly a sociopathic company. Lies and deceit being a part of their reputation doesn’t bother them in the slightest. Be very wary of taking out any lines of credit with them. They will bait and switch their promo offer and claim there’s nothing they can do to fix it. A very unscrupulous company with zero morals only answering to the almighty dollar. They have screwed over countless consumers and will continue to without thinking twice.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I ordered a 5 piece dining table set through Walmart, sold and shipped by Overstock. I received my order today, what I received was 1 chair. I called Overstock and they tell me that the listing was wrong. I asked them if they can still honor the set at the price I have already paid and they told me no, that I would need to request a return and they would issue me a refund. I’m so beyond mad. I ordered this set weeks before Thanksgiving so that I could have room for family that is coming to visit. Now I have to wait for a refund that will take up to one week. I will not be able to get another set in time. I will never order from them again!

Overstock.com Company Information