3.39/5

963 Overstock.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I recently made a purchase in Overstock.com for a reclining sofa. I live in apartment complex on 3rd floor with 15 stairs total. Overstock.com has CEVA Home delivery and local shipping vendor to deliver their products. The Overstock website had one option only for delivery "at the door" and I purchased the sofa with extended warranty. The local shipping company called and mentioned that they can only deliver on ground level in the parking lot. When I called Overstock, they charged me $9.99 promising that it will be delivery on my door on 3rd floor. After 2 days, the shipping company mentioned that they can only leave at parking lot and I called overstock AGAIN who charged me $24.00 for delivery in the "room of choice".

After 2 days, the shipping company said they will deliver only at the ground level. Please note that I didn't have ANY PROBLEM IN PAYING EXTRA FOR DELIVERY but Overstock had poorly worked with their shipping partners though I mentioned specifically to clearly explain to them. It has been a week and so far not even close to any resolution. No one takes any ownership to communicate and handle this. I no longer will ever purchase from Overstock.com.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Ordered two area rugs. One of them was fine and looked as promised. The other one did not look as good as on their website and shed a lot. Contacted their service department and asked several questions including whether I would be refunded for the return shipment costs. Their response led me to believe that I would be and never indicated that this would be a sunk cost. They are now refusing to pay for the shipping costs, which was about $100 on a $272 rug. They won't even issue a store credit. They claim that I am returning the item on customer remorse reasons, which is clearly not the case. Service may be courteous but they are extremely deceiving. Moreover, they never answer all your questions and concerns, regardless of how concise your wording and questions are. They just placate you and answer one of the questions. Had a bunch more items to buy, but NEVER AGAIN. Good luck dealing with Nora ** and getting worthy service.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I received a ring with loose stones. I returned the ring and called them to make sure that they have received the ring. They said they have and I would receive a refund in three to five business days. A week later, they act like they cannot find it. I text them and I keep getting the runaround.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Ordered a mattress, approx $400 after discounts. 1-4 weeks delivery promised. Item was at local delivery at 2 weeks. 1st delivery called 30 minutes out, then no showed. Could not get ahold of anyone to resolve that day. Come to find out that the delivery company they used was in receivership and very carelessly going through reorg. They were not reachable. Next day, set up another delivery for the following day. Deliver was not correct item and in the process the delivery company lost items. Overstock and delivery company were unresponsive after several attempts and days. Finally got ahold of both, and another week went by with no answers to where my items were.

At the 4 week mark, and after I took 2 half days off for a delivery that never showed up, I was out over the amount of the item ordered in pay. They offered a full refund, which meant now I was out the item, 4 weeks of time and sleeping on a couch for 2 weeks, plus more than the item in pay, or 10% off a reorder. They refused to expedite, meaning another 1-4 weeks. Awful customer service, awful at delivery. WILL NEVER BUY AGAIN FROM OVERSTOCK.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

We ordered a bathroom vanity with countertop. Vanity is great. Countertop arrived broken. It has taken 6 weeks, 8 emails, 2 online chats, 3 phone calls to get a tracking number for the replacement top - which will now arrive two months after the original. Customer service people are polite but completely unresponsive. I will never shop this site again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Overstock.com?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

We ordered queen size bed sheets on Dec 17 with a promised delivery date of Dec 22. Shipment lost in transit and Overstock is dragging feet on resolution. The original shipment label was found to be illegible in-transit and a re-printed label caused it to reverse direction and head back to NY (after already having been in Massachusetts). The shipment has been handed off from FedEx to USPS (supposedly the local post office) and is still (3 weeks later) lost in USPS in Brooklyn NY. I've repeatedly asked Overstock to cancel the lost shipment but they will not cooperate. They want to wait until it's delivered before refunding any money -- and no one knows when that'll be.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Devastated! I am building a new house and found the perfect rug on Overstock. The day before it was scheduled to arrive, I get an email stating there is an error and the rug is no longer available. It was my first and last order on Overstock. When I ordered it, it stated 3 were available. My credit card was charged. I see now that this isn't a new issue for Overstock. I closed my account and O membership. I spent a long time researching rugs and when I went to order my second choice, it was gone! Not worth the frustration.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Bought two office chairs that were supposed to be delivered on 11/27/18 for a Christmas gift. On 12/26/18 my order was still not delivered, so I contacted Overstock via chat and they said that they will get back to me within 24 hours, well as expected no one got back to me, so I called today 12/31/18 and I was told that my order was out of stock... (not at the time of purchase). Yes they will refund my money that they collected for over 30 days, there was no apology about the trouble (very unprofessional customer service). I also asked about the discount that I was given at the time purchase (Black Friday) for a future purchase, but I was denied. This is not even close of what their CEO states about the company. EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED!!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

The painting I bought was over 80 bucks, the painting looked nothing like the picture. When I called them they told me I had to pay over $16 (a 20% value) just for shipping back. A new unused item! Since then I have refused to buy anything at Overstock.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I ordered furniture with an expected delivery date of about 8 days out. I called to inquire about the reliability of that date. I was told it should be within a couple of days of the published expected date unless there was a problem, in which case I would be notified. This was important because the apt lease/move in was not until just shortly before the delivery date given.

I get a notification 2 days later that all the items have shipped a week early and will arrive in 2 days. I called customer service and was told they could do nothing and I should call UPS. After almost 45 minutes UPS finally tells me only Overstock can make changes and any request would need to come from them. I call Overstock back and tell them this. The woman tells me she will delay the deliveries. I get a notice the next day that one item is on the truck for delivery and the others are arriving the next day. I call Overstock back. They tell me they will need to get back to me, and that UPS will leave any packages outside the building regardless. I tell them that if there are any fees involved with UPS holding the early shipments I will pay them.

I receive an email from Overstock this evening telling me that they are unwilling to have UPS delay the items and so will have UPS deliver them all outside an apartment building in another city that we don't live in. They are unwilling to take the packages back from UPS and sorry that I paid several hundred dollars for items I will not receive because they shipped them out a week early. And then added "have a great day!"

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I only put 1 star because it won't let you put none. Total fiasco! I bought an Acer 24" 3D gaming monitor for my fiancée's son as a Christmas present. It was to be shipped to his mother. Received confirmation of the order and thought that was taken care of. Passed on the e-mail notice to him that I bought it. Big mistake it turns out (maybe I should have researched this company better and noted that it gets so many one-star reviews on its service). I will never buy anything from this company again in my life! Whatever modest savings you may get on their (used) product will not be worth the days and hours of screw ups and agony they will put you through.

Just because I ordered them to send it to my fiancée and not to me, days after confirming my order, they suddenly cancelled my order without warning or explanation on Christmas Eve, and then put me through 3 days of hours on hold and repeated disconnects just to find out why let alone to learn how to fix it. Customer Service (Joel) told me they get complaints about this all the time.

Apparently, although this is a company that boasts taking Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies (not exactly over-worried about identity of buyer & recipient are they?), a simple credit card purchase in the US for my fiancee who is literally just 5 minutes drive away requires an enormous bureaucratic process and the umpteenth-degree of verification. Although they don't mention it anywhere in the order process or pre-shipping confirmation e-mail, they will at some point later text you from an unidentified number that you need to call the anonymous sender to ''(re)confirm your details'' and if it's not answered promptly, because they wanted to go on holiday break a few hours thereafter, they will just send you notice without explanation or response that your order is cancelled. Looks just like any phishing text or email, so common these days.

So after three days of grief trying to get this fixed and hours on hold & endless loops with no progress, finally I get to some insulting & unprofessional moron named Alex at Loss Prevention who after asking me to confirm my email and shipping and billing addresses, put me on hold twice, hung up on me twice, and last time around, demanded I send him photocopies of 3 gov't issued forms of ID through a special method of which I had never heard. Why does he need all the details to steal my identity?

I had had enough of the B.S. Loss Assurance Dept and Overstock.com's over-kill of its customer. Never again! I bought many other gifts from major companies around the same time with the same card and details and everyone else managed to fulfill my order just fine, without the nightmare these people put me through. There is no excuse for running a company this badly! BUY FROM SOME OTHER COMPANY OR YOU'LL GREATLY REGRET IT!!!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I placed an order on Dec. 20th for a ceiling fan that was $199.99. On Dec 24 it went down to $171.00. That is 4 days later. I called customer service and they said that price was not showing in their system. WHAT? It absolutely WAS that price. He kept disagreeing with me. I told him it was that price after a coupon and he said he could not apply it. I am livid. I asked to cancel the item and he said it was processing. Keep in mind it is not even expected to get here until Jan 8th. I order online constantly and have NEVER had issues like this, not to mention the turnaround time. NO one takes this long to ship. I will absolutely never buy anything from this site again.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I bought a pair of boots from Overstock.com, I also signed up for the Club O Rewards which would allow me to return items free of charge. Well be sure to read the very fine print on that promise! The free returns are only on certain items, which I was very upset about, but decided it was my fault I let them squeeze that in and not notice. So I paid the shipping and sent back my very inferior boots. But I was so fed up with feeling like I was being tricked by yet again by another company with fine print loop-holes that I felt the need to write a review about my experience.

Well, Overstock.com saw my review and called me to say "Well you've had a bad experience and we want to make it up to you." The customer service lady apologized for the fact that fine print was missed by me and reimbursed me for the shipping and would pay my Club O membership for a year. And I'm thinking "Now that's great customer service!" So very much not the case. Not only did billing take back my shipping fee when my boots were finally credited to my account, It took at least 6 times of me calling and explaining IN DETAIL this same story so that they can credit my account correctly, that I finally just gave up and wrote off that shipping fee.

I have never been so frustrated at a customer service department in my life. I, for the life of me could not understand how they did not get what I was saying about this reimbursement. They just kept transferring me back on forth. Sometimes to the same department. Well, I've lived and I've learned. Do not order again from Overstock.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I ordered a toy for my grandson for Christmas from this site and paid extra than I would have from Amazon because the site stated it would arrive by Christmas. Lies!!! I received tracking and it won’t arrive till after Christmas. I contacted customer service and they would do nothing about it. They could have expedited the shipment but they don’t care. They care more about their margins than satisfying or improving their customer service satisfaction. I wish I had seen these reviews before ordering. Will never order from them again. Worst service ever.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I put in an order, paid extra for shipping to have it here for Christmas, said it would be delivered by Dec 21... LIES, now I am not getting till the 27th. WTH am I supposed to do on Dec 27th? Tell my kids that Christmas has been postponed for two days so you'll have to wait... VERY DISAPPOINTED AND WILL NEVER EVEN GET ON YOUR WEBSITE AGAIN. Good luck with your terrible lies and taking money for extra shipping and not delivering.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I bought this item and it didn’t fit correctly. Called to return and they said it was from a “drop shipper?” And had no record of purchase. Therefore, I am stuck with item. They said next time I order call direct and they will make sure it will be refunded. Won’t be a next time.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

It appears to be company policy to not issue returns upon receipt of the return but only upon contact from the consumer and proof that the item was returned (via tracking #). The company forces you to contact them and provide the confirmation number of the return. Luckily I kept mine but I know not everyone is as lucky. KEEP IN MIND WHEN ORDERING AND RETURNING.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

The 9' X 13' rug that I received from Overstock was not as described or as pictured. The website would not allow me to initiate a return and I was informed that Customer Service would contact me about the return. Customer Service promptly emailed me and asked for information, stating that they would follow up on the return in the next 1-2 business days to provide me with updates on the return. I promptly replied. Now, more than a week and 6 emails later, no one has responded to with instructions about the return and there has been no follow up. I am stuck with a very expensive rug (>$500) that I cannot use with apparently no recourse.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

After spending $400 for a rug, I was notified 36 hours later they canceled my order. When asked why it was canceled, they said it was low on stock when I ordered, and then they ran out so canceled it. But, I could order again now as they had more in stock (this immediately after I responded to the text about the canceled order). Seriously? I never received a shipped notice, so why cancel? Why not just send it out now that you have the inventory? Very poor service, and will never order from them again. No bone offered, just bad service.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

We ordered a bed from Overstock on 12/4/2018. It came on time however was missing the main part. We called customer service every day until today to get an update on the missing part. Each time we were assured a callback which never happened. No one knows what's going on and can't give us an update on our order status. Worst company to buy anything from. It's just a money making scam.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I purchased a large item with interest deferred when paid in full in 24 months. Every month I open my credit Account Summary page to view: Minimum Payment Due, Statement Balance, Scheduled Payments, Available Credit. Today I opened my credit account page to see my balance over $800.00 higher. I opened my detailed statement to find out that 6 days prior to today, my 24 months was up and I needed to pay off item, approx ($800.00) to avoid the deferred interest. I understand the agreement, but I'm very upset that Overstock Did Not email me a reminder AND they Don't have anything about this on my Account Summary page! Wouldn't you think this would be a good thing to have on my account summary?

When I called them, he kept on repeating that it was on all of the detailed statements emailed to me. WTF? The Account Summary page has all of the monthly information that I need. Why would I need to look at the detailed statement? (Except for when my balance increases over $800.00). I receive nearly 100 emails a month from Overstock offering me specials and discounts, but they can't send me ONE reminder of an upcoming event that will cost me over $800.00? Anyway, they refused to let me pay the balance to relieve me of the finance charges they added on 6 days ago. I cancelled my card and will take my future shopping elsewhere. SNEAKY CROOKS!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Overstock.com is a company with no integrity. They fail to act on anything and their customer service people do not have a clue. They only tell you what you want to hear to get you off the phone. Absolutely no follow up or responses whatsoever by phone or email. Once they have your money, you fail to exist. While on hold you hear their CEO talk about his company being the "best in customer care" on the internet. He is must not read any reviews or is completely absent from all company business. However, since Overstock doesn't participate in the Consumer Affairs Accreditation Program, I assume they don't want to be bothered by the truth and the fact that they are failing their customers. Their shipping company is as bad or worse. Will never do business with them again and suggest no one else should either. They do not deserve any stars.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I purchased the Colonial Rocker. I first have to say the product arrived very timely. Then when I opened the box, I had no hardware or instructions to put together. Have tried for 5 days to get hardware sent. I cannot even get a return call or email. Very disappointed in their warranty/missing parts dept. Will NEVER purchase anything coming from them.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Purchased sofa, a day later I received an email stating 6 weeks delivery, but that was not revealed in product description. Overstock also charged credit card instantly. Wrote review, there is a 3-5 business day wait if approved before posting it. Talk about editing feedback. This day & age should not take 6 weeks for freight. I guess instead of Overstock, they are drop shipping from China. I've received items in less than 6 weeks from China though elsewhere. I suggest contacting them directly before placing order and check on delivery times of an item.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I ordered a mantel with the electric fireplace (looked very nice online). I receive my package, took everything out and was almost done assembling it just to find out it was completely wrong from what I ordered. Called customer service and they emailed me my instructions and my return label and asked that I return the 100 lbs box and 45 lbs box myself to the nearest UPS store. They sent me the correct order, after I take everything out and start assembling it I realize that it’s broken. DEBBIE just told me to put the box outside my door and that she would send someone to pick it up and that was it. I was NOT given any information regarding a confirmation number/return labels. It sounds like it will take a while to get my $719 refund back, SMH???

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I have had two experiences with Overstock. The first time I ordered a $90 item and they cancelled my order and after some prodding told me they needed to verify my identity. Ok, fair enough. Their method was pretty extreme in that I had to send them a copy of my bank statement, a copy of my ID AND a photograph of me holding my ID! Amazing. But I did as requested and sent it in and eventually got my order released. I found that form of verification a bit extreme as this was Overstock the merchant running me through the hoops, not the credit card issuer (Comenity).

So a month later I choose to order another item that is fairly expensive. But I have plenty of available credit on my Overstock credit card to cover it, so I figure no problem. WRONG! Again my order gets cancelled and now they say I can't order the item because they want to see me have more time with my account?! What?! If I have a credit card with the available credit to make the purchase, why should they care what I order or for how much? Keep in mind this is Overstock Loss Prevention Paranoia department, and not Comenity Bank asking for and doing this. They basically tell me to use a different credit card or take more time and gain some experience with my Overstock account.

Now I am sorry, but after I proved to them beyond a shadow of a doubt who I was and that I had a valid credit card with the proper amount of available credit, WHY on earth would they tell me I can't buy a certain item with my credit card and I need to develop more time before they will consider me buying an expensive item?? Again, this is NOT the card issuing bank telling me this! This is the merchant, Overstock and their security department that clearly is staffed by buffoons! Never again will I consider shopping with this company. Cancelling orders when there is plenty of credit and identity verified and the item shipping to the billing address?? I am beyond words with it. Complete fools!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I wanted to order a quilt for my daughter's new bedroom and found one that I really liked. The price appeared to be pretty good with free shipping to Canada and I went to check out and noticed that it was actually quite a bit more with taxes and duties. I thought it was strange that it was the Canadian site and was being charged duties so I held off and tried calling them but they were completely unhelpful and told me it would be shipped from the U.S. thus the duties. It still didn't sit well with me, and why am I paying taxes and duties? Anyway I wasn't sure if I was going to purchase but the next day I decided I'd just pay the extra and order it.

When I went to check out this time, I noticed the price of the actual quilt was lower but they would now be charging me duties, tax AND shipping (the shipping alone was $40!). So now the same quilt I could have ordered the day before would cost even more. I called once again, and they told me they no longer offer free shipping to Canada. Moral of the story is don't bother with this company. They advertise to draw you into thinking you're getting a great deal and try to sneak in a bunch of other charges. Just don't bother. They have zero integrity.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I ordered a watch on Monday at 10:30 am, by 12:30 pm I had determined I wanted to cancel the order. I tried online to no avail. I then called Customer Service, I was then told I "could not just cancel" they had already sent the purchase to the warehouse for fulfillment. My response was to contact the warehouse and cancel the order. They then informed me they DO NOT have a number for the warehouse but rather they needed to send an email request that they could not guarantee would be looked at. (As a side note, this is after two 30 minute unsuccessful live chats.) I was then told I would get an email by end of business on Monday regarding the status. NO EMAIL received!!!

I then called Tuesday morning and again was given the same BS about how they can't contact the warehouse directly and they didn't know whether or not the request was even looked at and again I should wait for an email, which never came. On Wednesday morning I got an email from UPS that a tracking label was created Tuesday at 11:44 am, WHY!!! I canceled on Monday at 12:30, again I called and was told that there is nothing to do but wait to receive the item then send it back! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! Now this charge is sitting on my credit card because this company is incompetent. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER again will I order from them. HORRIBLE customer service, useless live chat. I can't wait to get the credit and be done with this nonsense. BUYER BEWARE!!!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I almost ordered a new TV from Overstock but I withdrew while on the phone with customer service. I had experienced several strange false claims and follow through issues from Overstock... I thought it was just strange. When I looked at the reviews I determined it probably wasn't strange but just how they operated. The .ca website says free delivery. I went to the cart and a shipping charge and duty showed up. The site gave me a CYBER17 discount coupon code but then in the cart said it wasn't valid. I signed up for the 15% off coupon with my email address and no coupon ever showed up.

I talked to customer service and no standing behind what is written on their website ever took place. I tried to order from their .com site to ship to the US and it kept bouncing me back to the .ca website. They clearly have a lot of issues but the most important are the false claims they have posted on their website that they don't remove. If they are doing that now you can only imagine what is going to happen if something goes wrong with your order. Not worth the hassle.

Resolution response: Nov. 29, 2018

I called back to Overstock and spoke with another rep by phone. She initiated a refund and the next day I rec the money back, thankfully. So I’m changing my review to a 3.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I ordered (2) 3.4 oz of Aqua Di Gio and received two bottles labeled it but it smells absolutely NOTHING like it. I didn’t even have to open the box to know because some of it spilled in the box during shipping. It made me have an immediate asthma attack. I contacted OVERSTOCK.COM the day we rec the package to discuss the problem of the “knockoff” cologne and I was told that the item is nonrefundable and that someone would call me in 2-3 days to discuss the matter. It has been 5 days and NO ONE has contacted me. I won’t purchase ANYTHING again from this place!!!

Overstock.com Company Information