Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.35/5

Public Storage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Public Storage?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Public Storage?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

You read that right, folks! First, they lure you in with somewhat reasonable rates then within 3 months or so, they bend you over without a kiss and increase the rate. Why??? Well, IT'S simple...because they can and they're greedy. I understand increases will happen due to legit expenses, but a 20%+ increase in monthly rent is excessive and I guarantee, the rent will go up again in another few months. Of course, many folks that have stored their belongings are struggling during this pandemic with such things as loss of their house, being unemployed, staying with friends, etc., but just ask how the people of Public Storage can help you. THEY WILL MAKE THINGS WORSE FOR YOU BY INCREASING YOUR RENT. Thanks, Public Storage.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2021

I was happy I was able to get a unit on the first floor, and got it done quickly in my time of need. The price was a little expensive with the insurance added but I got a second job to help keep me afloat during this pandemic. However, in December I got an email saying my unit price would be raised. It hasn't even been a year and I was not told at my time of purchase my rent would increase in only 4 months. I would have went with a different storage company! This company is dead wrong and to do that to people at this time. It is not right. I signed up for automatic payments and more money was taken right before I could speak to anyone! An extra $5 or $10 I can see but a whole $35 more!! I hate this company and I will do everything in my power to tell anyone to not go to this company at all!! They are crooks!

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

In a time of pandemic when so many are struggling and out of work Public Storage has not only increased their rates, which they do every year on anniversary dates...they've done it again and 4 months in advance of anniversary dates. Greed at its finest!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

Updated on 12/30/2020: They finally let us in the storage today whoop whoop. But here's the funny thing. They said we should have the key to unlock it which we did but it wasn't working so they made us pay for a locksmith. Well 100 bucks later we get storage open yet to find the lock they took off with our lock on it still inside on ground. They changed our lock off and replaced it with theirs and made us pay for locksmith. Contacted corporate and getting my aunt's money back for locksmith since it was their fault. Like I said y'all Public Storage sucks and DO NOT USE THEM.

Original Review: My uncle passed away and we have a notarized holographic will which in Texas is recognized. As long as it's notarized. It states I'm execute of estate and his sons are heirs. But in state of California which is their regional office doesn't recognize it. My cousin from Scotland aka his son is visiting and goes back tomorrow and they won't let us get his dad's war metals and such out before he leaves back. He came down to watch his dad get laid to rest and handle stuff. We've been trying and getting run around for over a week and no progress. It's plain ridiculous and I'm getting upset.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

I called on 11/30/20 to upgrade from my 5x5 unit to a 10x10. Shana tells me that it’s not possible to upgrade, she would have to “vacate” my current unit then I would have to make a new reservation for a 10x10 unit - the problem with that (other than it not making sense) was that I hadn’t moved in yet so it couldn't be done until I moved in…and I had to come in to the office to do it. I mentioned I didn’t mind changing my move in date from 12/3 to 12/1 and coming in but I wanted to make sure I didn’t lose the 10x10 unit…She couldn’t hold it for me (of course) but at least she offered to speak with her Regional Manager (didn’t get the name).

Shana calls me back later that morning to say that her Regional Manager confirmed that I need to “vacate” my current unit but not to worry I would get a full refund. I then asked her about the 10x10 unit to which she gave me the price of $162, though online it was $171. Shana was not able to explain the price difference and said she couldn’t reserve it for me…I again had to come in. I reserved the unit online because it was obvious I was about to lose both units (this was used against me later on). As Shana finish the “vacate” process she realizes that she didn’t have the option to refund the $24.00 Admin Fee. She again says she will call her Regional Manager.

I later receive a call from Patrice who introduces herself and pauses as if I should have expected a call from her. She then tells me that the $24.00 Admin Fee is non-refundable and what I should have done is upgrade my unit not “vacate” and book a new one online…(screams on the inside!) I keep my cool and waste my time explaining what actually happened earlier that morning. I am again promised a call back because the Regional Manager has to be consulted…again. The next call is to tell me that I will in fact get a full refund. When I bring up the price difference, I’m told that because I booked online they couldn’t offer the lower rate of $162…what a joke! Did I mention how much this interrupted my work day?

I call again the following day after waiting all day for the return call that was promised. Patrice had no update for me just the “promise” that I would receive my refund, and before hanging up she informed me that I would need to ask for Sue if I called later in the week. Great, a third person to do absolutely nothing! Sue leaves me a message the following day (Wed 12/2) saying that the $24 Admin Fee was credited back. I waiting until it showed up on my bank account. It never did. I called again on Sat 12/5 and left a message for Sue because I had yet to receive a refund for the first unit and they had already charged me over $200 for the second one. Sue leaves me a message later in the day to say that the credit had been issued - I’m surprised she didn’t defer to her Regional Manager.

When I showed up on Thursday 12/3 I had to drive around aimlessly looking for my unit, thinking that I had the wrong address because again their untrained employees that cannot do anything without consulting the Regional Manager, failed to tell me that they have two facilities, each located on opposite sides of the street (not easily seen from the street unless you know what you’re looking for especially at night). I finally walk in to the unit only to find the lock inside the dirty unit with no packaging…their lock return policy says it has to be in the original packaging in order for a refund to be issued…this is yet another way they stole my money. Oh! and the place reeked of naphthalene! I hope someone tells them that does little to get rid of rodents and termites...

As of today, Monday 12/14, I have yet to receive a refund for the $24 Admin Fee. I noticed, however, that next month’s invoice was reduced by $24…so I am being forced to pay for a second month if I want to be credited for their mistake and inability to train their employees. Needless to say, zero compensation has been offered for this awful experience…At this point I just hope to eventually get the money they stole from me. Do not rent here. The units are dirty, the staff is untrained, and you pay for their mistakes - even if I eventually get my money back, it’s simply not worth the hassle.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

BEWARE: Heartless company during hard Covid times when people are struggling. If I could give a negative infinity rating on this website, I would, because that is even too good for them! They sold all of my family members' things on 11/24/20 and she struggled and just made a payment on 11/04/20, and Public Storage didn't have the decency to notify her in time, so personal things like photos, financial information could be retrieved. She has been with Public Storage for up to two years, and this is how they treated her in hard times. No loyalty whatsoever! Yes, material stuff can be replaced, but not family photos, mementos and priceless heirlooms (her dead grandmothers' $10 earrings, they hold sentimental value), they sold them too! Vultures!

Personal, financial, medical and previous client tax/financial information she was trying to protect that was stored there is now in the hands of who knows who, because they don't even tell you who they sold her items to. So that's a breach! It sounds illegal selling personal info like that anyways, and most people would get locked up for that. What kind of person(s) Sell and Buy a poor struggling single mother and her children's things anyways? Do you take pride and joy in that? Sickening! A Scrooge of all scrooges, that's who (Hedgcoxe, Plano location main culprit in this matter, they are the greedy ones who sold her stuff). You sold the children's things too. The children have nothing now, and I mean NOTHING, all of their childhood things (baby clothes, toys. etc..) are gone.

One of her children is a budding artist, and you sold his artwork without his permission, that's illegal too! You sold the children's innocence to a stranger too!. What kind of evil are you? What are they (Buyers) going to do with innocent children's pictures anyways? Public Storage doesn't care and I bet they didn't even ask them either. I cringe at the thought of these children's pictures ending up on the dark web or something. I vomit when I think and read of how you've been doing this type of business practice over and over again for years and getting away with it. Where is the justice system to protect these poor people? Just look at the reviews here on this website, it doesn't lie, just sickening, Public Storage and their mysterious heartless buyers crushing life after life. Just gutter people! You should NOT be in business.

If any of her identifying personal, financial, client, children or medical information gets on the black market, or dark web, you and your buyer will be held accountable for theft and privacy health information violations to the highest degree. She better not start seeing scam calls and upticks of scam mail or any indication her rights have been violated, because we will know who got the ball rolling.

People listen up, go to Uhaul or anyone else for that matter, stay far away from Public Storage. Don't get drawn in by that $1 deal either, it's how they bait you in. Then their fees go up and up, piling on top of each other quickly so you can't make full payments and get behind on payments, then there's late and all kind of crazy fees you can't handle and when that happens, they sell your stuff. These folks here have no heart! Public Storage and Mysterious Buyer whoever you are, GIVE her, her things back, you know who she is. You are in the wrong and I will keep bringing attention to this matter on all social platforms until this is resolved and so others don't have to go through this mess. How do you sleep at night? Exactly, just what a cold hearted person would say!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

Melissa at the Ingram Rd location in San Antonio was cheerful and professional. Thank you for taking the time to see my concerns through the end. I appreciate Melissa's wanting to help me. Please give Melissa a raise!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

Found a 5x5 at Public Storage for $17 per mth. Reserved it, packed the truck and went there. Upon arrival learned it was 4 ft a above the floor and 4 ft high (limited ht). We ended up paying $22 mth for the standard 5x5 which was advertised. After numerous emails and phone calls not one response. BAIT AND SWITCH. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

Please be careful renting a storage unit from this company. I had a situation to occur at the location at (5275 South Cooper Street) in Arlington, TX 76017. On October 10, 2020 I went to move my belongings out of the storage unit. It was clear that there had an influx of mice in my storage unit. There were mice dropping and pee all over the storage floor and also on so much of my belonging. This caused so much damage. I could also see that there had been water leaking into the unit as well.

When I went to the desk to report this, I spoke with a Melissa who informed me that they were aware of an influx of mice in the storage areas because they had to put down more traps in the storage areas. However, for some reason the Property Manager failed to inform me or any other renters about this issue. She also indicated that someone else had reported seeing a dead mouse in their storage when they went to move out of the unit.

My complaint is that the Property Manager and the company had an obligation to inform people about this influx of mice. If they were putting down extra traps due to this, they should have contacted me. I paid roughly $220 a month for a climate controlled storage unit and no one felt it was necessary to let their customers know about the mice issue. I tried calling the District Manager (John **) and left him several messages and of course he has not returned any of my calls. Stay away from this company. Spend your money with a storage company that values their customers.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

The battles and challenges of COVID-19 have been challenging and devastating. I am current helping a family member who is battling the Virus and this doesn't only affect one member but the entire family. The majority of my bill was paid the month before which left me with a $20.00 balance that I forgot to pay by the 5th of the month. When I remember that this amount was due, I was assessed a fee of $29.00! I called and explained the circumstances which I received a call back from the assistant manager who advised me that my account wasn't eligible to have the fee waived, which is higher that the amount that is due!

Public Storage author review by Jessica Render

Public Storage is a global self-storage provider offering facilities in the United States and Europe. Along with self-storage they can accommodate business storage needs and vehicle storage needs.

• Unit sizes: Public Storage offers unit sizes ranging from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 25 feet. The smallest unit can hold the contents of a small room or a large closet, while the largest unit can hold the contents of a 250-square foot business space or up to six rooms. Vehicle storage spaces range from uncovered to enclosed for cars and large spaces for RVs and boats.

• Moving supplies: If you are in need of moving and packing supplies, Public Storage offers boxes, packing supplies, tape and specific moving kits for purchase. They provide free shipping on orders of $75 or more.

• Business storage: Public Storage offers various businesses tips and ways to use storage to make operations more convenient. Real estate, office, construction and retail businesses have easy access to units for daily or seasonal needs.

• Discounts: Consumers can go online for discounts and specials such as $1 first month rent on selected units for new customers and 15 percent off monthly rent.

• Service areas: Thanks to the acquisition of Shurgard Self-Storage, Public Storage has self-storage facilities in the United States and Europe. Consumers should check the interactive map online to determine their nearest location.

by Jessica Render ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Jessica Render is dedicated to providing well-researched, valuable content designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions they can feel confident making. She holds a degree in journalism from Oral Roberts University.

Public Storage Company Information