3.1/5 (214 ratings)

About Public Storage

Public Storage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Public Storage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Public Storage?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2021

She is the most helpful employee they have at her location and if you call with a problem she’s gonna do all she can to help and I really appreciated that. Because when I first got the storage the person wasn’t helpful and really rude

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

I rented a storage unit from Public Storage BOCA Raton fl, 4 years, Penny from their office, went above & beyond to always assist me ~ right up to the end of me using their services. Thanks so much Penny. ♥️ Dawn

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

Vanetta helped me a lot and made things so easy. She was also sweet carrying smile and a great woman in my opinion so if you are ever looking for a storage go to Public Storage on Applegate Way in Clarksville Indiana and ask for her.

Original review: July 10, 2021

I was treated very professional by Cici and Kenya at public storage in Houston, TX. They are great. I was behind on my bill but they didn't stop until my situation was rectified. I told them what was happening to me and my friend at the time. They figured out a way that I would have never thought of.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

Either I or my spouse-go in person to pay our storage bill each month. Marlena is always friendly and happy to help and I appreciate how she keeps the facility clean. We have rented a storage spot here for years and Marlena is wonderful!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

If I could give this place a 0 star I would! I got a storage space from them but it turned out to be too small so I had to upgrade to a larger storage space. I wasn't able to get customer service in the front because no one was working at the post. So I booked another space on their website. I tried to get a hold of customer service and they said they wouldn't be able to give me a refund for the space I DID NOT OCCUPY. After leaving several attempt to get a hold of the district manager Rachel ** with NO response. I took the issue to my bank and had the charges reversed. A couple of days later Rachel finally followed up with me saying that she had credited me. I told her I have already handled it and they could try to take back the credit.

The professional thing to do if they respect their customer is to give me a callback about how they are proceeding with this issue. NOT ONLY DID THEY NOT DO THAT, they sent balance to a DEBT COLLECTOR. I AM A PAYING CUSTOMER. I AM OCCUPYING THEIR SPACE AND GIVING THEM BUSINESS!!! They didn't handle this issue correctly but how do they resolve this? They punish their own customer with their own mistake so they can get out of this easy. I am beyond pissed about the disregard and lack of communication. Never will I ever recommend this shady business to anyone. Ever.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

Public Storage is a company that cares only about money. They can raise your rent 2 times a year. Mine 100 dollars in less than a year. Their late fees are 99 dollars. They not only raised the rent, but fees during a pandemic. I have been paying the rent sometimes late under the current circumstances, also dealing with a recent death. I paid 378 for my tent September 27th 2021. They took the whole entire tent and applied it to their fees. Called, emailed every manager, got no reply.

When I finally got someone and explained my situation they could have cared less. Did not even attempt to work with me or answer any questions. I asked where does all of these fees go to their reply, "The company?" It's an automated system so who gets the money the computer software? Now I have an additional 99 dollars fee and have to pay 378 plus 477 November 4th to prevent them from auctioning my storage. The staff and management will go through the storage if put on auction and take what they want leave the rest for auction. I have personally witnessed this account. I truly believe if they know you have value in your storage they want to make it impossible for you to pay so they can acquire your possessions.

Public storage lures you in at their 1 dollar special but little do you realize they can 2 times a year raise your rent at their discretion and the fees. Public storage got millions in Federal PPE grant money? Why? They were not affected. They were able to stay open and make money, and they obviously did not give it out to tenants that needed it. I gave read complaints in many different sites that all day the same thing public storage only cares about money and how they can acquire your possessions if need be. The federal government needs to create regulation for storage companies especially off this size, to limit the amount they can raise the rent and their fee charges. Also make sure you have an emergency contact or they will auction your belongings and claim they contacted you. Renter beware. This company is as greedy as it gets.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

I moved from NYC for work and had to rent a storage in NJ to support my apartment while I was working abroad. I have had the unit for a few years now and updated my address but forgot to update my contact number. One month I missed my payment and then they during the second month just sold off all my things. I have been paying over 300 dollars a month for years (like many other they have CONSISTENTLY RAISED RENTS with no options).

When they sold off my things, I noticed within a few days and contacted them about my personal belongings. One thing is the furniture but all my pictures from my family, high-school diplomas, my life. When I spoke to the location, district manager and corporate office they all said that they sell things after 2 months and that they have to protect the buyers therefore cannot support connecting you with them to get your personal things (these low life predators that try to make a profit buying people's things in storage).

I cannot understand how you morally can run a business like this. Not helping you even get in touch with the person who took your things to get your personal belongings back. This is a low life of a company and I would recommend NEVER to rent storage from them. I don't even think a business like this should exist in society as they are just up to NO GOOD and making money off of every mistake anyone makes. They lure you in and then screw you big time. Disgraceful and awful - do not rent from them, find a different option!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

I used to use Public Storage all the time with no problems. Less than two years ago I rented a unit for $88 dollars. Now my rent is $166. Plus the customer service has been horrible. A few months ago I couldn’t pay online. I reached out and the rep. just gave me a number for a higher up that never called me back! I had to keep calling over and over until someone actual tried and did help me. I tried to get in contact with them on their Twitter page regarding my concerns. I was sent an email for additional assistance. A month later I was still waiting for a response. When someone finally responded they just said get a smaller unit. If you have choices don’t use public storage.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

We have used Public Storage for years. They have consistently raised our rent, multiple times a year. So often in fact that we had to get a different unit inside the same property to stay on budget. Then more recently we needed a much bigger unit because we were moving, and since Public Storage was the only local place we had no choice but to get a different one - though at a different property. Way overpriced for a 10x20, but during the pandemic you have no choice and are lucky to even find a space.

While moving we had to find yet another storage unit and found one at an Extra Space location close to where we were moving to. When we completed our move and vacated Extra Space we asked if they could prorate our rent because we had just paid a week earlier and they were more than happy to, knowing that during this time they would quickly rent the unit again. When I asked Public Storage for the same consideration, since I had paid my rent ONE day before vacating, they denied the request. The managers at Public Storage locations are bound by corporate and cannot do anything to make a customer happy.

The corporate office will just ignore any requests you make of them. Public Storage is an exceptionally greedy company that will use any excuse to raise your rent and get out of reimbursing you anything. Avoid at all costs. Go to any other competitor and support local storage units when possible - at least they will care about their customers instead of fleecing them.

Public Storage author review by Jessica Render

Public Storage is a global self-storage provider offering facilities in the United States and Europe. Along with self-storage they can accommodate business storage needs and vehicle storage needs.

• Unit sizes: Public Storage offers unit sizes ranging from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 25 feet. The smallest unit can hold the contents of a small room or a large closet, while the largest unit can hold the contents of a 250-square foot business space or up to six rooms. Vehicle storage spaces range from uncovered to enclosed for cars and large spaces for RVs and boats.

• Moving supplies: If you are in need of moving and packing supplies, Public Storage offers boxes, packing supplies, tape and specific moving kits for purchase. They provide free shipping on orders of $75 or more.

• Business storage: Public Storage offers various businesses tips and ways to use storage to make operations more convenient. Real estate, office, construction and retail businesses have easy access to units for daily or seasonal needs.

• Discounts: Consumers can go online for discounts and specials such as $1 first month rent on selected units for new customers and 15 percent off monthly rent.

• Service areas: Thanks to the acquisition of Shurgard Self-Storage, Public Storage has self-storage facilities in the United States and Europe. Consumers should check the interactive map online to determine their nearest location.

by Jessica Render ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Jessica Render is dedicated to providing well-researched, valuable content designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions they can feel confident making. She holds a degree in journalism from Oral Roberts University.

Public Storage Company Information