1.23/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

640 Public Storage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Everything about Public Storage is unethical, from fee increases, fines and customer service. They have an I don’t care attitude. I travel frequently and at times run late on payment. The fee is $75 on a unit I pay $135 per month. I first obtained this 10x10 unit 4 yrs ago for $45 per month. Public Storage leverages my “stuff” against me to charge exorbitant $s. They take advantage of every opportunity available to them and are nasty people on top of it.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

On Tuesday May 29, 2018, I got stuck at Public Storage on Lee Highway in Centreville, VA. I was there for about 3 hours from 8 to about 11. While there I called Public Storage’s corporate and talked to people who did nothing but blame me for being stuck. I told them the door was malfunctioning. They told me it’s not opening because I left late. That was not the case. Something was wrong with the gate. They berated me and yelled at me. One of the women I talked to was so rude scolding at me “pay attention”, but I was trying to talk to bother her and the police officer, who was on the other side of the gate to help me. Not once did any of them agree with me that the door was malfunctioning. After multiple attempts, I talked to a representative, who told me to call the local police, as they should have a code to open me.

So I called the police who tried codes they had. None worked. He talked to them and spent two hours punching in codes to no avail. No one in that company told me of any plan to get me out of there. At around 11, I parked my car in the back and the police drove me home. The next day I called Public Storage about 20 times. Literally. I was nervous about my car being towed while I was working. At about noon I took Uber and got my car from Public Storage. When I got there the alternative gate was opened because the normal gate was malfunctioning like I told them. I went inside and told the employee that I had to leave my car overnight. Her response was “Oh, so that is why your car was there this morning” I was waiting in line to talk to her about how I had to take Uber and how I believe the company should pay for it. She then said to me “So what do you want?”

Stunned at her unempathetic response, I just left and got out of the line. It was so rude. When I went home I wrote a review both on their Instagram page about what happened to me and them on Yelp and Google. The Public Storage Instagram blocked me. The next day (Thursday) I got a call from Public Storage District Manager Jillian **. The very first sentence out of her mouth was “how do you feel?” Bewildered by that question, I said, “I feel fine.” Second sentence was to tell me that she called me because she saw my review and then told me to delete it because it would hurt her performance. Taken aback by the same apathy I got from the woman when I picked up my car, I said, “I would think about it.”

I didn’t think they did anything to justify me removing the bad review. Because to me, if I knew someone got stuck in a facility I was in charge of and I couldn’t find that person, especially a woman, I would call that person ASAP to make sure they are okay. She didn’t do that. The other ‘manager” who supposedly checked up on me didn’t do that. The woman working at Public Storage when I picked up my care couldn’t care less as well. Jillian also told me she talked to me that night I was stuck. So she knew I was stuck there. No excuse why she waited till a negative review to check up on me. She then went to tell me she had someone come to check on me two nights prior. She never told me of this person that night that I called. In fact, I left that place believing no one would come to open the gate for me and that Public Storage, including Jillian **, shrugged their shoulders and left me there.

Later when I got home, I saw a self-gratifying email District ** Jillian ** sent me where she said things to the tune of ‘I am sorry I tried so hard to help you and you couldn’t be helped’, ‘I am sorry that I sent someone and when they came you were not there’ “I…, I…, I…, I…”. I emailed her back and asked her why she never told me that she sent someone to help me? I got off the phone with her thinking no one would come and that they didn’t really care. I got off the phone with them STILL accusing me of leaving late, and still giving me new codes to put in the access system, after telling them multiple times that the gate was malfunctioning. She emailed me back saying she told the police officer she was going to bring someone.

I told her, “Why would you tell the police officer and not me? It makes NO sense. I am the paying customer of this storage facility who happened to have gotten locked inside because of a malfunctioning gate. But you tell a third party, who never told me, that you are bringing someone. I am a woman stuck outside of a gated facility that has NO lights, pitch dark and I’m frightened. Also the police officer told me himself that I should call them the next morning and let them have it.”

I told her I won’t remove my review to help her work “performance”, which I took to mean her BONUS check would be affected by me leaving a bad review. Her response to me was to tell me that her boss knows everything and sat there with her during her phone call where she told me to remove my review so she could get a better performance score. She also told me she has tried time and time again to apologize and make my experience pleasant. In the same email she told me about a man named Dilraj who “who left his 6 month old BABY at home with his wife to drive to the property.” And I found that comment about the baby to be not only laughable but asinine. REALLY?

I felt like she was guilting me by saying he had to leave his 6 month old to come get me. He is a manager doing his job. I am sure he doesn’t take his baby to work. And I’m sure Jillian doesn’t take her daughter to work. I don’t take my kids to work. No one does. That is how it is. I never complained to her about leaving my family to be stuck, nor did I say how when I went home my family was asleep. Because I never blamed her nor Public Storage for being stuck there. Because I know it was a mistake. When you are a manager you are responsible for unintended problems that arises. That is what Dilraj and Jillian ** signed up for. She then told me she offered to pay for my Uber fare because she felt sorry for me, but she can tell that cannot turn my experience around.

No you should offer because you are LEGALLY responsible for paying it. You are not doing me a favor. I sent my receipt to her MULTIPLE times with NO reimbursement. I have tried calling her, because I felt her emails to me were her self-serving way of telling her bosses what she did, instead of conversing with me. She doesn’t pick up. In fact she stopped communicating with me. Half her emails were also about how “my boss knows everything” “I am forwarding this to my boss”. Which tells me she never meant to pay me back in the first place. Her whole purpose in contacting me, which she admitted to when she first contacted me TWO days after the incident, was to make sure I remove my review, for her to get a lucrative payday. When I didn’t her boss and her obviously came up with a plan to ignore me, because they were going to lose money due to a bad performance review.

Jillian ** knows better. She worked at Target as a team leader for 3 years after working there for another 4 years, and knows customer service. I’m sure having a degree in English from Stony Brook University didn’t help much but she has worked in customer service enough to know that you don’t dodge a customer for 7 months. I didn’t know how to go about it because it was obvious she was upset, but why should I remove a review for a woman who did nothing but SCOLD me about someone leaving their BABY at home to take care of a customer who was stuck at a place for 3 hours at night? Having been a manager before. I would have made it right with my customer. And made sure to follow up. She hasn’t contacted me, but I have made attempts to contact her. To me she is retaliating by ignoring me.

Please do not use this company. Jillian ** is a horrible District manager and the worst manager of ANY company I have ever dealt with. When I left Public Storage, my items had water damage ALL over them and also water was all over my items. And there are BUGS. I called them about that several times, and they never pick up. Public Storage directs phone calls by if you are a current renter or not. If you are not people will pick up, if you are good luck getting someone. Once you are a customer they don’t care. Jillian needs more training in being a manager. She has failed big time.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

If I could give zero stars, I would. They will charge you a full months rent regardless of when you move out. I got my unit in October. I’m moving my stuff out on this coming Saturday. The manager and the district manager is telling me that I am required to pay a FULL MONTH'S RENT regardless of me only being there 8 days this months. Ridiculous!!! They do not prorate which to me is total BULL. These people are complete rip-offs. Find another storage and make this place your absolute final resort if all else fails.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I was late with this month's payment and received a final notice to pay by today. I have this in writing. I went to pay my bill today and they sold my unit yesterday. I have cried all day. My deceased mother's possession were in there as well as my grandkids' baby pictures and other family heirlooms, nothing of any monetary value at all. I spoke with management and they refused to let me pay my bill.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

On Nov 20th I had a 3.30 appointment to check out my space I had rented and bring in a deposit to secure the spot. At 11 am I received a call that a "mistake" had been made and my spot was no longer available. I insisted on an explanation as to how could this have happened when I had received several confirmation emails and phone calls from the company the day before to confirm I was coming in. Which I assured them I would be there at the scheduled time. I am now told that a scheduled appointment does not mean your spot is reversed. What it does mean is that it might be still available. It might not. When I asked why this is not explained when clients book appointments I was told that if they told clients that they wouldn't book with them. Hmm makes you wonder!!!

This company has put this traveler in a very tough spot. I have a flight booked and nowhere to store my travel trailer and truck. When it was brought to my attention that I no longer had a storage spot I thought they would work with me to resolve the problem but they refused to return my calls until I made a formal complaint and at that point, after 6 voicemails they were still unable or unwilling to help. I should have read the reviews on this company first. So I learnt a valuable lesson myself. Read reviews. This company is not worth it!! Even with their teaser rates to get you interested it's not worth the aggravation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Public Storage?

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

We went to get our stuff and everything was torn into and RAT poop all over. The place is dirty and unkept. We lost a lot of our belongings. When we cleaned things out not even a dumpster. When we went back there were cops there. The unit next to ours was robbed. They lost TVs and furnishings. What kind of security when people can get in through locked gates. We lost so much of our stuff plus months of payments. They also raised the rent a month after moving in. The place is dirty and smells. Please be careful before putting your precious items in storage. They will not be safe. They are very nasty and rude. Please stay away or get very good insurance to protect what you might lose. It's sad to feel your possessions will be safe and you go to get your stuff and it's either destroyed or gone. This one is on NE 36th st. In Ocala, FL.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I rented my unit in May of 2018. I rented because the rate was fantastic. I even convinced my parents to rent a unit too. I paid my rent in advance through December. Today, November 21st, I logged in to make a payment for the next 6 months. While I anticipated there might be an increase, I was shocked to find my monthly rent went from $43.00/month to $75.00/month. That is a 74% increase. I didn't get any letter, or email. I just happened to log in.

I decided to call them and after 30 minutes, I finally reached a live person. As soon as I stated the reason for the call, the call was disconnected. I never could reach a live person again. I decided to take it to Facebook. I posted my dissatisfaction on their page and was told they were looking into it. 7 hours later, no reply. Now the holiday weekend has started so I doubt I'll hear anything until Monday. Even at that, I'm not holding my breath. Shortly after I rented the unit, I actually asked what would happen if I paid in advance and an increase went through. They said not to worry. Increases are usually only 10 - 15%. Riiight. So now I have a storage space full of stuff and a bill that is nearly double what I signed up for. Ridiculous.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I have experienced a evil and unlawful misuse of power in this corporation. Beware of these Wolves. They put your contract, billings, payments in writing. Yet they lock tenants out when Rent is fully paid with NO Warning! NO written reason. This way they either steal your unit or get the tenant to move out angry and NO Data on terminations of the POOR, WEAK, BROKEN.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I rented a storage shed in St. Paul for my daughter who moved out of her college apartment. I paid for the first month and was late by one day on the second because I didn't get an invoice and forgot about it as I live in Milwaukee. Once I realized I hadn't made the payment I called them to ask why I hadn't of received an invoice and asked what I owed. They hit me with a $20 late fee. I stated that was ridiculous and refused to pay it. They hit me with another $20 late fee for the $20 I had not paid. They then deactivated my code. They are criminals. The customer service is the worst!! I would give them zero stars if I could. Don't use this company!!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I rented a storage unit form the location at 4300 Boulder Highway for six (6) years!! The first two onsite managers were professional and possessed great customer relationship skills. However, in 2015, the company hired Chanti, who consistently pushed her staff to robo dial my cell, because Public Storage compensates its managers for accounts paid on time. As a loyal customer, I would ALWAYS pay any and all late fees, etc on a monthly basis. Due to the aggressive actions by Chanti, the current manager, I wrote and called the corporate offices, as well as customer service, complaining about this individual. Moreover, in speaking with a few of her subordinates, they substantiated my concerns regarding her behavior.

In August, I was made aware that ALL of the items in my storage unit were sold, unbeknownst to me. Because I was in the process of relocating, EVERYTHING that I owned was sold. My furniture, appliances, electronics, clothing, files containing sensitive information, photo albums, etc. I have documentation to support the fact that Public Storage made a SERIOUS error in selling my items. I am enlisting the assistance of an attorney to file a major lawsuit, if anyone else has experienced a similar issue with Public Storage, please contact me. A Class Action Lawsuit can be initiated.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Do not get a unit here unless you like them raising the price without telling you. I was promised a set price for as long as I have a unit and they did not inform me they were raising the price. The customer service rep was extremely rude to me on the phone and the district manager refused to help me. She did not call me back for two weeks and when she did she stated “there’s nothing I can do.” I will be moving my unit to a different location as soon as I can. Run far far away. Do you even care about your customers???

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I rented a storage unit from Public Storage for an agreed upon and advertised price per month only to have the price per month increase by $35 or 20% after a short period of time. I was told by the onsite and district manager that the rental prices are market driven and therefore because there was a shortage of rental units at the size that I had rented the price would go up. In my mind they pulled a bait, getting you in at the lower rate, and rate, increasing your monthly rental fee once they have you in there. I rented a large unit for my daughter's things, she lived in a three bedroom home, so to move it to another unit, which would require a large truck, would be costly. They know that so they know that they can raise the rate accordingly which is still less than renting a truck to move it out. What a racket. I addition to this review I also put one on Yelp. Stay away from Public Storage!!!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

The Public Storage in Baltimore Maryland on Kent Drive needs need management as well as its other employees trained properly. I'm having a difficult time trying to have someone explain to me how come I am being charged for a 5x5 unit that is barely a 4x4. It is impossible to get in touch with anyone from corporate, they send my calls and emails back to the people that are not helping me in the first place. Once I move my things out I will never ever patronize that business again and anyone that does be sure to measure your unit and make sure you are getting what you are paying for.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Rate hike from $116.00 to $145.00!!! What for... did the unit size get bigger? Was told by Mike when I signed on that the if I vacated the unit by the 5th of the Month, the rate would be pro-rated which makes sense since it was pro-rated when I moved in. Logical to me. End result, I vacated the unit on the 4th of November, only to be told to pay the FULL monthly fee for an empty unit. As such, since EXTORTION is the way they choose to do business, I will keep the unit empty until the 30th of the November and again notify PUBLIC STORAGE. NEVER again will I rent from PUBLIC STORAGE.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I selected Public Storage as my storage facility in June 2018, for a rate of $65 per month. I just received notice that beginning Dec 2018 my rate will be $82 per month, a $17 hike, 26%. This is very high rate increase and the facility has limited access hours (only 9:30-5:00 pm on weekends, 9:30-6 pm on weekdays).

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

This facility has a rat infestation problem (Health & Safety Issue) which took them several months to even acknowledge even though rat droppings were all over in the hallways in addition to my individual storage! No communication of any kind was sent out, even when they were made aware of the severity of the issue, no action was taken to remedy the problem or send communication out! They do not take any action to remedy the problems or send communication to their customers to notify them of a problem that could cause health and safety issues. They deny responsibility of any sort! They have not taken any type of action regarding improving their pest control (if there is any!) or look into the mold issues which is another health and safety issue at this facility!

No one takes responsibility of any sort and they don't give out the name of their risk management representative! Worse company and customer service I have ever dealt with. Public Storage has no problem through raising rates every few months by about $35! Started with about $100/mo in 2014 and paying almost $300 in 2018.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I have only been at this place 10 months, yet they have jacked up prices by 20% after 5 months, then jacked them up again by another 20%, 5 months after, this is disgusting behavior. I will be vacating their services straight away!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Cornell rd Beaverton Oregon - I was charged by Mary the manager 2 times in one month for insurance. I called 6 times to talk to Darren the district manager. He never called me back. This is the worse case of customer service I ever saw. They kept telling me my name was Jennifer ** because of error they made. Mary accused me of letting my friend use the storage on my paperwork. Clearly say no one can go in the storage. Never again will I rent from them. Darren is a terrible leader.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I moved my stuff into a small unit a couple of years ago. Over the course of my time at Public Storage, I didn't have any significant problems with the company. They hike your rate by $5 every six months a couple of times, but apparently that's pretty standard for storage units. The unit that I rented was pretty dirty - it was an inside unit but not temperature controlled, and the top of the unit was open to the building's rafters. Needless to say, I found A LOT of bird droppings and nesting materials all over my stuff, so make sure you cover your things if you move in here.

My real problem with Public Storage didn't come until my move-out day. I walked into my unit and the light bulb was burned out. The unit is pitch-black because it's an interior unit, but I wasn't too worried about it at first - I'll just head to the office and they can change out the light bulb, right? I walked back to the office, passing an employee who is sweeping the aisles. I had driven past the same guy as I drove back to my unit. He seemed busy and didn't look up as I passed, so I kept moving to the office. I get to the office and the door is locked, and no one will be back for another 45 minutes. Again, this is more irritating than anything. Apparently I just have bad timing.

I walk back to my car/unit to wait, but on the way I see the same guy still out sweeping. Now, my unit is all the way down the aisle from the office, but it's in the same building, which means this guy could see me enter the PS facilities, go to my unit, head to the office, and then head back toward my unit. He jumps in his golf cart to drive away as I approach, and I have to step toward him and give a bit of a shout for him to stop. Now this is where things get fun.

"Excuse me, do you change light bulbs?" "Nope, I can't do that." "Uhhh...?" "We're all out and I can't order any more." "I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm trying to move my stuff and can't see anything." "Well. What am I supposed to do? I'd have to go out and buy light bulbs out of my own pocket." This goes back and forth a bit, before I finally tell him that this really isn't my problem, asking for a light bulb is well within reason given that I'm paying for a unit with a light in it, and I'd appreciate some solution. I ask if there is someone returning to the office soon. Nope, he's it! He finally agrees to grab a light bulb from another unit to put in mine for the time being. That's a perfectly acceptable solution! I'm not sure why that was so difficult to come up with.

As a side note - these bulbs are up way higher than I am able to reach, so this isn't something I could have just done on my own. This guy had to use a long pole to get the job done. Unfortunately the new (re-used) bulb wouldn't work either, and he determined that there was an electrical issue in my unit. Again, no solutions. No one he could call, and no flashlights or anything similar for me to borrow. He left me standing in the dark to figure it out for myself. Not only was this employee incapable of engaging in any sort of problem-solving, he also watched me struggle to find someone in the office and would have buzzed right by me in his golf cart, knowing full well that he was the only employee on the property at the time. I pulled my bird-dropping covered possessions out of my unit, and I swore to never use this company again.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Starting a class action lawsuit against Orange Door Storage Insurance company and Public Storage. If your property was in one of the units that were destroyed by a chemical spill which was a result from how the buildings were built please tag yourself in. My storage unit was at the Pickerington, OH location. I was told that there are multiple facilities at multiple locations that were impacted. They are only willing to give up $250 per unit. I lost everything in my storage unit. I personally lost everything in my storage unit and am now living out of a suitcase.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I rented my storage in July. Came upon some hardship and medical issue. Asked for a couple day grace period to settle my account. It was told that the district manager has no mercy on customers when it comes to property liens. So I made away to pay the account to current and was told I can only pay by credit card plus a $20 fee to make a payment that they will not accept. I'm so amazed by this. Wish I had went with another storage place and maybe would never went through this. Be aware of what you getting into when comes to Public Storage.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

This is my first experience with a storage facility and I wish it would be my last. Public Storage in Davie, FL is undoubtedly the most crooked establishment I have had the displeasure of dealing with. They filled a lien on my property even though I was up to date on payment. They had the audacity of referencing an esoteric FL Statute to back up their fraudulent claim. How this is legal in the United States...

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

**, was very rude from the first day I went to the location at 2497 Grove Way, Castro Valley, CA 94546, to do the paperwork. The day I moved in I requested a cart to unload my stuff, ** said she was busy with a customer so I waited for her but she never showed up so I went back to the office and she said that she didn’t have any carts available. She screamed at me that she didn’t have any other cart. I told her that I was waiting for the last cart but she gave it to someone else.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I am writing to complain about my belongings being destroyed at Public Storage's Butler Road facility early in 2018. I rented there for a few years starting in 2016 with no real problems except that the place was dusty and needed more cleaning which I stated to the supervisor there on several separate occasions. I found my unit infested by rodents on May 1, 2018. I immediately filed a claim and moved out and expected Public Storage, a big and powerful company to acknowledge their responsibility to keep rodents at bay and thus compensate me for my belongings lost especially since I did not store any food in my unit.

This is not an unreasonable request just to be compensated for items lost from a company who rakes in millions a year. You would expect Public Storage to have fair business practices and have a fund for duped customers like me. This should be normal practice! I calculated the damage and it came to $2300. This amount is nothing to Public Storage. Items lost were mostly gently used baby items (I was saving for my next child) including a car seat, bassinet, pack and play, baby carriers, and my things including dining room chairs, speakers, wick basket, air beds, among other things.

To my absolute horror their insurance company Sedgwick (or Orange Door) does not cover Vermin and could only compensate for $250. This adds serious insult to injury. I then wrote to all the executives individually including Ronald Havner, John Reyes, Debra **, and they did not care that I was just asking to be compensated for baby items lost. Seriously what a lack of heart!

I cannot express my absolute horror at the way I have been treated by Public Storage. I would like to ask that Public Storage fairly compensate me for my lost belongings. Informing renters that a rodent risk exists and that separate insurance to cover possible damage if necessary is critical. I was not told at the time this was necessary. I would also like to urge that Public Storage take the courtesy to alert renters when rodent problems are evident (there were droppings all over the second floor) in the facility so that renters can check in on their belongings. Furthermore, regular cleaning of older facilities such as Butler Road is necessary. I am now renting at Cube Smart and have been impressed with their facilities which are spotless as they are regularly cleaned.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

THE WORST PLACE EVER!!! While moving my things in a unit I'd previously had reserved I noticed I was running out of room and that I would need another unit. After making a reservation online the I went to the office to pay for the unit. The employee was aware that I'd made the reservation took me to see it & we went back to the office to confirm and pay. I stayed in the office for 25 minutes waiting on the employee to complete the transaction while being walked through it over the phone.

My cc was charged. She told me everything was fine and to let her know when I got to the gate if the access code worked. IT DIDN'T! so I used the code form the other unit I have to get in because I didn't have time to go back in and wait any longer being that my moving guys had been waiting the whole time I was there unable to continue not knowing where I wanted my items placed. All while on a schedule and not to mention we were EXHAUSTED from unpacking two 26" trucks.

I went back to the unit to continue unpacking when the employee came to the unit and TOLD me that I needed to come back to the office because of something that she did wrong (made the account in my mom's name that my other unit name is in) so AGAIN I had to go back. When I got back to the office she again was on the phone being instructed on how to correct the issue this time I was there for 15 minutes. She told me that they reversed the charges and I needed to present my cc again to be charged AGAIN! I told her that now those funds will not be available to me for 3 days and that, that is a big inconvenience for me.

I told her that I would need to leave because I had to return the two trucks that I have and I was VERY close to the time of the return. After waiting a few more minutes I couldn't wait any longer. She said everything was ok. I left she then RAN to my car tapped on my window and TOLD me that I HAD TO COME BACK IN that there was some paperwork she didn't have me sign. NOW I'M PISSED!!!

I WENT BACK IN she was still on the phone being walked through on how to retrieve the forms. after getting up looking in the file cabinets and couldn't find any. They came through via fax she said she'll have to use those and that I'd have to come back to the facility and sign the originals. I got my two moving trucks back late and was charged an additional day. FOR BOTH which caused me more financial strain, the next morning was called by a different employee asking can I come back to the facility one day this week because they have no payment for the unit.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I am very unhappy with my experience using Public Storage. I've been trying to move out of and close my unit for months now, and the company has made it extremely difficult. In my move, I lost the keys to my unit, but they told me I can have the lock cut. In order to do that, I had to visit the unit in person because there is no way to fill out the required form online. So I made arrangements to visit the facility and filled out the form. I was told that the manager would call me ahead of time to let me know when they would be available to cut the lock, so I can be at the property. They cut locks at the end of every month (or so I was told).

No one called me at the end of the month, and considering I have almost nothing left in my unit, I assumed they were able to cut it without issue. Then I continued to be charged the following month. When I tried to call about it, the employee was extremely difficult and told me that she couldn't help me. I asked for the manager's phone number and only got it after telling her that I wanted to speak directly with her manager.

I left messages for the manager and called a few times... No response. He finally called me back and - to put it nicely - was not pleasant to speak with at all. I explained my situation and he clearly only cared about the money. Every time I tried to explain that I was having a difficult time closing the unit at all, instead of getting a human response, he told me that I still owe money and can't get out of it. I told him multiple times that I understand, but I am trying to close the unit and they are not letting me. I wanted to know if there was another way to close it or if they would at least admit that the system was faulted and have some human decency. I was interrupted multiple times for the manager to tell me that I owe money. I will now have to take a day off work to bring a locksmith out on my own dime on top of paying additional months' cost for the unit because they won't close it.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Updated on 12/06/2018: Finally I after 2 attempts to move I'm out of this place. The first one I rented a truck and hire a guy from the Home Depot to help me to move just to find out the elevator were not working. The next time I call the office to asked if the elevator were working but they never answer the phone so I drove all the way and ask them why they don't answer the phone and she told me that she has to make 600 phone calls that day and they never know when the elevator works. On Sunday I could not finish to move out because only one elevator was working and because it works but is too slow.

On Monday I finish moving and she said I still have a balance that I have to pay the full month. I said I'm not paying a penny anymore but still they sent me an email that said that I have to paid the whole month. This is an abuse to the consumer. Please avoid this place is bad bad bad. Here is a letter I got on the email. "When you moved out of your storage space on 12/01/2018, you left a balance of $360.00 on your account. You’ll find your Balance due Details below, which includes any additional fees that were applied upon full inspection of your vacated storage space. You’ll need to pay this amount in full within 10 business days to avoid further collection efforts."

Original Review: I have been trying to move out for the last two month that they increase my rent from $330 to $382 dollars, I have an unit in the fifth floor but since the elevator never work is impossible for me to go up and down on the stairs. I ask at the front desk when are they gonna fix it but they don't know when they are gonna fixed it either. I also sent a complaint to the company and they completely ignore me. I'm very frustrate They increase the rent, they charge late fee on time but I can't move out because they have a problem.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Never been late, was supposed to pay 45/month for 5x5x,5 now had been jacked to 65. Never been late. Every user the auto pay have the contact and can read legalese they had 0 reason to raise the rate. Go elsewhere. The gate at the front was broken for 4 weeks allowing anyone to enter, then locked and I could never access my property when I needed. They closed at 7p and lock you out of your property, unit is in McDowell and 44th Phoenix AZ, it looks like druggies live in the facility and the smell of weed is ever present as if someone is storing bails there.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Rented a 5x5 unit in Chattanooga, TN for "just in case needed" space for my mother's move to a assisted living facility. Space was never used. I have an Email confirmation of move out, called and spoke with onsite personnel on billing, yet I am still receiving liens-late fees-insurance billings and even a charge for RAT ** clean up. Nothing was ever put in the unit!!! For emergency use only while dealing with the Mother move out since I'm in Texas and family in TN. This has been going on from 7-17-18 until today 9-27-18. Very pissed...

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Public Storage will offer you a promotion rate but that is all deception. You must buy their lock. If you rent in the middle of the month, you will not even get the promotional rate. Also, when told by an employee that your next payment is due on the first, you get a bill and they tack on a late fee of $45. You always get what you pay for! Dealing with the smaller companies is always a better deal. You know what and who you are dealing with.

Public Storage expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Public Storage is a global self-storage provider offering facilities in the United States and Europe. Along with self-storage they can accommodate business storage needs and vehicle storage needs.

• Unit sizes: Public Storage offers unit sizes ranging from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 25 feet. The smallest unit can hold the contents of a small room or a large closet, while the largest unit can hold the contents of a 250-square foot business space or up to six rooms. Vehicle storage spaces range from uncovered to enclosed for cars and large spaces for RVs and boats.

• Moving supplies: If you are in need of moving and packing supplies, Public Storage offers boxes, packing supplies, tape and specific moving kits for purchase. They provide free shipping on orders of $75 or more.

• Business storage: Public Storage offers various businesses tips and ways to use storage to make operations more convenient. Real estate, office, construction and retail businesses have easy access to units for daily or seasonal needs.

• Discounts: Consumers can go online for discounts and specials such as $1 first month rent on selected units for new customers and 15 percent off monthly rent.

• Service areas: Thanks to the acquisition of Shurgard Self-Storage, Public Storage has self-storage facilities in the United States and Europe. Consumers should check the interactive map online to determine their nearest location.

• Best for: Consumers with personal or business self-storage needs, both domestic and abroad.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs