Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.57/5

Public Storage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Public Storage?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Public Storage?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

Either I or my spouse-go in person to pay our storage bill each month. Marlena is always friendly and happy to help and I appreciate how she keeps the facility clean. We have rented a storage spot here for years and Marlena is wonderful!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

Melissa at the Ingram Rd location in San Antonio was cheerful and professional. Thank you for taking the time to see my concerns through the end. I appreciate Melissa's wanting to help me. Please give Melissa a raise!

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 20, 2020

Jennifer & Diandra were very helpful and guided me in the right way. I would recommend Public Storage to anyone. The space I rented was in good shape plenty of room. Location is near my house which a plus for me.

Original review: April 12, 2021

My husband and I rented a large storage unit a few years ago. When we moved in our rent was a little over $100.00. They have gone up on our rent at least 2 times a year. I just got a notice that my rent will go up again in May. My current rent is $281.50. The new rent will be $318.00 and $16.50 for insurance you have to buy, for a total monthly rent of $334.50. That's a $36.50 increase. Is this even legal? Do we ever reach a cap? Or can they just keep going up and up without any oversight. These type of businesses need to be regulated more closely.

Original review: April 4, 2021

We have not 1 but 2 units with this company and have been for 3 years and 10 months but now going to move out belongings elsewhere. They have constantly increased the Rents on the units for no reason at all every few months that are unjustified. Nothing has increased for them in way of electricity charges or anything else. Also we tried to get some kind of leniency during the Pandemic and no help at all from them, Millions of people lost their jobs and we were included in this by losing lots of business but during this they still didn't care to help anyone.

Just recently we moved out of one of our units and we were not approached during the time we were moving out our belongings but the minute we went to make a trip to take our stuff to another place they put a red lock on the unit siting we we're late when in fact we aren't late until the 3rd of every month so had to fork up unnecessary funds to them for a FULL MONTH and we won't be using the unit. Just horrible, then today we get an email from them saying possible other fees to be charged. I can't believe the greed of Public Storage. I will NEVER do business with them ever again and if you're smart you won't either, go elsewhere where you're treated like a person and not just a paycheck from them. Horrible Horrible Horrible Service from the Corporate Owners of this company.

Original review: March 31, 2021

I purchased not (1), but (2) storages w/ PS, in good faith. I was charged full price for the 2nd storage as well as for the lock, which I believe I was an overcharge; especially compared to competitors!! I've always used PS. I placed a review about that & never heard back from anyone. I filed a complaint on being harassed by the facility, I never heard back from anyone. Today, I stopped by the location to remove the 2 auto debits & to pay for the remaining days that I'll actually need the (2) storages, which is only up until 4/12/21. I was told not only that I cannot make such attempt, but also that I'll be charged for the entire month!

How can a company charge a customer for something they don't use? Since when is it customary to charge a renter a full month & not prorate it? Especially when the entire month is not used? I continue dealing w/ erroneous charges & improper customer service. I've made 2 calls today & I'm still waiting for a supervisor to call me! Never again.

Original review: March 9, 2021

I have been a renter of two different public storage units and have faced the same, dishonest behavior where they continue to raise the rent for absolutely no reason. Every five months I have had my rent raised and when I called to address the increases, I have been hung up on multiple times by customer service, have received absolutely no help, and have never been given a reason for the increase beyond "it's a decision made by Corporate and we can't do anything about it."

There is no way that "Corporate" has a clockwork rent increase (to more than $30 a month) to cover "operating costs", it's entirely too calculated for that. So, during the middle of a GLOBAL pandemic, this organization continues to choose to bilk money out of its customers and have its customer service people respond with, "well, you can come get your stuff if you don't want to pay the increase." This is absolutely shameful behavior. SHAMEFUL. I will warn everyone against storing their belongings with Public Storage.

Resolution response: April 1, 2021

I was finally contacted by the business from my BBB review and was able to come to an amicable resolution with Morgan and Public Storage.

Original review: March 4, 2021

Their negligence ruined & contaminated all of my contents with mold. A settlement was supposed to occur but 14 calls/texts/emails have gone unanswered. My storage unit and all around it had major water damage and a TON of visible mold all over the ceiling. I have photos and videos of proof. The insurance I had to get to rent the unit already agreed with my claim and paid out the maximum amount of 3000$ to me. But my losses after having to throw tons of stuff away and have the reset professionally decontaminated cost me 12,292.36$.

So I began talking to Dana **, the supervisor asking for reimbursement. He referred me to Morgan **, their lawyer. She told me on 11/16/20 that she would have a settlement amount for me no later than friday 11/20/20. The last time I heard from her was on 11/24/20 when she sent the copy of my contract I had asked for. I emailed her again on 12/3, 12/8, and 12/15 and she never responded. I have proof of this as well, screenshots. So I reached back out to Dana by phone on 12/23/20 and he didn't respond so I reached out again on 12/29/20 and he text me saying he wrote to Morgan the week before when I called and she hadnt gotten back to him. So I text him back that day 12/29 again on 1/4/21, 1/12/21, and 1/13/21 and called him on 1/14/21, 1/15/21 and 1/21/21 and he never returned ANY of my calls or texts, 8 in total went unanswered. I have proof of this as well.

I called Morgan ** once more on 1/21/21 and never got a response. So I called customer service and asked for their boss who I was told was the Regional Manager Jeffrey **, I called him on 1/21/21 and 1/26/21 and he NEVER called me back either (I also have proof of this) and I told him everything in the voicemail and how 4 messages to Morgan and 8 messages to Dana were ignored by them. The fact that their negligence RUINED my stuff and cost me 12,292$ in the times of Covid and they promised to reach a settlement agreement with me and then just completely ignored me is absurd and abhorrent behavior from a large chain business like them. How can you treat your customers this way?

I manage some very serious chronic health issues and CIRS and MCAS as well as being tested and showing I have variants of the HLA gene which makes me WAY more susceptible to mold illness so this has been quite a challenge for me as I spent the money I needed for medical treatment to replace and decontaminate my items with the understanding that they were going to come to a settlement agreement. Now I cant pay for the treatments I need. This is abhorrent behavior from a Supervisor, a Regional Manager and a Lawyer, they should know better than to treat their customers like this.

I will be posting this same complaint on EVERY website where I can leave a negative review on Public Storage, I have already contacted my local news stations and newspapers and their investigators and given them this story and they have stated it sounds like its worthy of them looking into and possibly doing a story on, and I have a lawyer on standby. So if they do right by me I'll tell the news stations not to run the story and I will delete the negative reviews. I have all the screen shots of my messages going unanswered, all my items I threw away, other receipts, itemized lists of everything I threw away and its cost, etc.

Original review: March 3, 2021

I owed. I paid. They wanna deny me access so they can profit off my goods and all. I gave them almost 2 years. Very sad. All I want is them to be fair. I don't owe them. I'm not asking for nothing. I wanna access my property.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

I moved into a fairly new unit everything was smooth had a contact free move in. Everything was fine. I was paying $70 a month. 4 months later I get a noticed of them increasing my rent to $104 a month. $34.00 more a month and with the current virus and people being out of work I need to make the choice feed my family or pay for their selfish increase. Nobody replies to calls and the customer service is horrid. After this I will never use them again. They are greedy heartless people and I have no idea how to get the extra $34 barely making ends meet as it is. I am screwed. Thanks Public Storage!!!

Public Storage author review by Jessica Render

Public Storage is a global self-storage provider offering facilities in the United States and Europe. Along with self-storage they can accommodate business storage needs and vehicle storage needs.

• Unit sizes: Public Storage offers unit sizes ranging from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 25 feet. The smallest unit can hold the contents of a small room or a large closet, while the largest unit can hold the contents of a 250-square foot business space or up to six rooms. Vehicle storage spaces range from uncovered to enclosed for cars and large spaces for RVs and boats.

• Moving supplies: If you are in need of moving and packing supplies, Public Storage offers boxes, packing supplies, tape and specific moving kits for purchase. They provide free shipping on orders of $75 or more.

• Business storage: Public Storage offers various businesses tips and ways to use storage to make operations more convenient. Real estate, office, construction and retail businesses have easy access to units for daily or seasonal needs.

• Discounts: Consumers can go online for discounts and specials such as $1 first month rent on selected units for new customers and 15 percent off monthly rent.

• Service areas: Thanks to the acquisition of Shurgard Self-Storage, Public Storage has self-storage facilities in the United States and Europe. Consumers should check the interactive map online to determine their nearest location.

by Jessica Render ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Jessica Render is dedicated to providing well-researched, valuable content designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions they can feel confident making. She holds a degree in journalism from Oral Roberts University.

Public Storage Company Information