Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.16/5

Public Storage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Public Storage?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Public Storage?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

Please be careful renting a storage unit from this company. I had a situation to occur at the location at (5275 South Cooper Street) in Arlington, TX 76017. On October 10, 2020 I went to move my belongings out of the storage unit. It was clear that there had an influx of mice in my storage unit. There were mice dropping and pee all over the storage floor and also on so much of my belonging. This caused so much damage. I could also see that there had been water leaking into the unit as well.

When I went to the desk to report this, I spoke with a Melissa who informed me that they were aware of an influx of mice in the storage areas because they had to put down more traps in the storage areas. However, for some reason the Property Manager failed to inform me or any other renters about this issue. She also indicated that someone else had reported seeing a dead mouse in their storage when they went to move out of the unit.

My complaint is that the Property Manager and the company had an obligation to inform people about this influx of mice. If they were putting down extra traps due to this, they should have contacted me. I paid roughly $220 a month for a climate controlled storage unit and no one felt it was necessary to let their customers know about the mice issue. I tried calling the District Manager (John **) and left him several messages and of course he has not returned any of my calls. Stay away from this company. Spend your money with a storage company that values their customers.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

The battles and challenges of COVID-19 have been challenging and devastating. I am current helping a family member who is battling the Virus and this doesn't only affect one member but the entire family. The majority of my bill was paid the month before which left me with a $20.00 balance that I forgot to pay by the 5th of the month. When I remember that this amount was due, I was assessed a fee of $29.00! I called and explained the circumstances which I received a call back from the assistant manager who advised me that my account wasn't eligible to have the fee waived, which is higher that the amount that is due!

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

I started out my monthly rental @ $49. It sounded great in the beginning as I was ok with that amount. Then, it started to increase more and more. By the end, I was paying $84 a month, a 71% increase, in just 14 months! Then, when I emptied and canceled my unit one week into the month, they refused to refund me any money!! Never again.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

Anyone who has been denied use of the restroom at Public Storage at 385 Gerard Avenue, Bronx, N.Y. 10451 should kindly take photographs of the signs on the public restroom doors and obtain photos of who they are "selectively" permitting to use their restrooms. They have had signs up using Covid as an excuse for 6 months and the discrimination here is atrocious. I asked who the manager's name is and they told me "**" but would not provide a last name or show even a tiny shred of humanity. This is despite the fact that my 70 year old mother with a bladder condition was with me and I literally begged them. My father and I were also refused on other occasions. I have clearly seen them admit other people who were obviously customers. It is offensive and in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

I was impressed when I first met the manager last week, cordial etc. There was a small hole on one wall but he said it would be easy to patch up, and because I needed it the following day for a delivery, he said he had no time to do it. Was at the unit yesterday to receive my items for storage, and a few hours later there was a domestic violence incident about 50 feet away in the complex. Looks like there are doors in between some of the units and I did not care to investigate, but I had to call 911. Then I accidentally touched the wall, the same side where the hole was on but Several feet away, and it left a hole of about four or 5 feet high by 18 inches wide. Several phone calls later to both corporate and they’re on site location, and not a call back, 16 hours later...

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

Initially, I had a storage unit with Discount Storage. I received a letter in the mail stating Public Storage had taken over. Okay, no problem, so I thought. I logged in to my account to pay my bill and the amount due is $40 more. They have charged me monthly rent without applying my discount. I immediately called and left a detailed message regarding the amount being charged and the amount that I signed the contract to pay. In good faith, I paid the amount to avoid being charged a late fee, thinking this would be cleared up with no delay or issue. Midday next day, no one has contacted me, so I reached out.

The manager, Natorsha, while nice is unhelpful because her responsibilities are limited to answering the phone and relaying messages. After three days of me repeatedly calling, I finally speak to the District Manager, Tina. Tina must be part of the family because that is the only way she is still employed with this company. But then again, her actions most likely reflect the company's practices.

So anyhow, Tina comes to the phone radiating hostility and seems her sole purpose is to antagonize and bully the client. She met me with no resolve, was rude, disrespectful, lacked sufficient managerial and conflict resolution skills, and never truly listened. (She actually initiated conflict and continually interjected every time I began to speak.) Even after stating that multiple people stated they had been offered a discount, she still refused to honor such; even though I offered my receipts as documentation of what I had been paying. To keep confusion down and attempt to resolve the conflict without the continuation of a dead end, I stated, I would just like a refund and would remove my things from their facility. She stated, "They don't offer refunds." I understood and accepted if they chose not to honor the previous owner's contract. However, they wanted to honor the clause of "no refunds." SCANDALOUS AND PITIFUL!!!

This company, Public Storage, is the epitome of what it means to be fraudulent thieves. In the welcome letter, they present themselves as a family friendly business, but nothing of the family that I would be proud to be a member of. If you value being respected as well as your hard earned money; PLEASE REFRAIN FROM DOING BUSINESS WITH PUBLIC STORAGE. They are not willing to compromise and don't have any core values which are often the foundation of the company and its success. The $1 deal, although it wasn't offered during my time of purchase, is just a hoax to later rob you of your hard earned money. Oh, and the letter did include penalties of a $20 late fee after the 6th day. If rent is not paid by the 31st of the month, you'll then be charged $61.50. If that isn't enough, a lien sale fee upon auction of $130. Do yourself, mental health, and blood pressure a favor and rent from ANY other company.

I never intended on being late on a payment, but, I certainly don't intend to ever do business with this company again; not even with their sister company(ies), if they exist. Lastly, if they truly have 1.3 million customers nationwide, today they have 1,299,999. Tina boasted about being over all the Louisiana locations, keep her in that position. As long as they continue to abide by the same measures, losing one customer a day per location will definitely prove to be detrimental to their continued financial success. Profitable business last because of high-quality customer service and client satisfaction, not the number of locations! People pay attention. The majority of their reviews are 1s. What does that mean?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

Deceptive and unscrupulous Business Practices. Before signing the agreement I asked multiple times if I was locked in at the rate I signed up for. Little did I know, hidden in the agreement was a clause that said they can raise it for any reason after 6 months. And keep doing so at their own discretion. They can get away with it since it's a pain to move again so they take advantage of this fact. Next is that if you move out in the beginning of the month they charge you for the whole month. No prorated refund. This company is just GREED and SELF PURPOSE. Will never use them again and will make sure NEVER to recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

8/4/2020. I reserved a 5 by 5 unit on July 15th and I visited the location July 17th just to check out the unit and also speak with the representative about prices. At this time, I was still comparing storage unit companies so asked about the total costs and any additional/hidden charges I should expect, the rep who helped me assured me that the rate in my email is all I should expect and informed me that rates could potentially change every 6 months to a year. I also inquired about the storage lock as I saw various different locks on units as we toured the place, the lady never mentioned that I would be required to use a particular type of lock for my unit. She said I could purchase my lock on my own or buy one from Public Storage. I decided to purchase my own lock which is similar to one of the locks I saw during my tour.

Now on the 31st when I got to the storage to move in my items into my unit, the lady checking me in said I needed to pay for the public storage lock and couldn't use mine. I asked why I was told something different when I visited and why other storages I saw during my visit had different locks, she stated that this is a "new" requirement. She also stated that I must purchase an insurance coverage for an additional $15/month. Again, this was not mentioned anywhere on the website or even on my first visit.

I received a business card of the district manager, John ** with his email and phone number so I sent Mr. ** an email regarding my issue. After a couple days, Mr. ** called me and first thing he said was that I should not have emailed him as he doesn't check his work email and that I should have called. He asked me to repeat the same issue I had already outlined in the email. I did and he started to explain the rules to me which was not my issue. I expressed that my issue was the fact that they failed to disclose these additional charges in advance. They only disclosed the information last minute when I had no other choice. Mr. ** became belligerent on the phone and I had to end the conversation without any resolution.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

Lost job due to Covid-19. In the past I had side income from selling items held in storage but right after I moved to Public Storage, who said I'd be able to access my things until 9PM, they cut back the hours to 5pm. No longer could I sell items to people with jobs and income that don't get off until 5PM. They were closed by then. See the problem?

Once my payment was a mere 6 days late Public Storage cut off access to my belongings. Told me to fill out a rent relief form if I needed help due to Corinavirus. 3 weeks later I was notified my request was denied, the most help they could offer was to not raise my rent. No late fees waived, no rent waived. At this point the account was 30 days past due and my belongings are going immediately into auction. Email address for CEO doesn't work. Executive team seems to have created a fake pandemic response! They want to sell your stuff.

Original review: July 25, 2020

I recently needed some storage space and called the Public Storage near me in the Kent/Des Moines Washington area. Seems a guy who missed his calling as a car salesman answered. He wouldn’t take no for an answer. I swallowed the classic bait and switch. Even the national office gave me a quote of a $30 move in.

Big surprise. It was more like $110. Seems I’m required to purchase insurance sold by guess who? I can only imagine what it would be like getting Public Storage to pay a claim. Tack on $15 a month. Can't use my own padlock, have to use theirs, no clasp on the door, internal lock. Reminds me of U-Haul their ball hitch is one size smaller.

After arriving at a very bad intersection was surprised how small the entrance was, only one maybe two vehicles can enter. I must have arrived at rush hour because it took me over 30 of standing in line even to talk to the one person on site. By this time the congestion of vehicles trying to enter, the people standing in line, the word Goat Rope or Cluster** came to mind. After expressing my disdain over the hidden fees, the cost and size of the small public “closet” I renting, got the feeling of somewhere else if I didn’t like it. Sorry I had to have the lift truck back by the end of the day. Plus the fact I couldn’t be on site with a Covid 19 mask, almost made an exit stage left. My unit was way down at the end and I ain’t wearing no stinking mask down there.

Overall the site lady was understanding and semi-sympathetic to my plight, but too talkative with the person in front of me, I had to interrupt and suggest exchanging personal phone numbers so I could be on my way. I did make one final mistake, insist on contact by anything other than email. Checking my email box had to relegate Public Storage as spam, received 7 emails the first hour alone with user info offers discounts and such.

Public Storage author review by Jessica Render

Public Storage is a global self-storage provider offering facilities in the United States and Europe. Along with self-storage they can accommodate business storage needs and vehicle storage needs.

• Unit sizes: Public Storage offers unit sizes ranging from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 25 feet. The smallest unit can hold the contents of a small room or a large closet, while the largest unit can hold the contents of a 250-square foot business space or up to six rooms. Vehicle storage spaces range from uncovered to enclosed for cars and large spaces for RVs and boats.

• Moving supplies: If you are in need of moving and packing supplies, Public Storage offers boxes, packing supplies, tape and specific moving kits for purchase. They provide free shipping on orders of $75 or more.

• Business storage: Public Storage offers various businesses tips and ways to use storage to make operations more convenient. Real estate, office, construction and retail businesses have easy access to units for daily or seasonal needs.

• Discounts: Consumers can go online for discounts and specials such as $1 first month rent on selected units for new customers and 15 percent off monthly rent.

• Service areas: Thanks to the acquisition of Shurgard Self-Storage, Public Storage has self-storage facilities in the United States and Europe. Consumers should check the interactive map online to determine their nearest location.

by Jessica Render ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Jessica Render is dedicated to providing well-researched, valuable content designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions they can feel confident making. She holds a degree in journalism from Oral Roberts University.

Public Storage Company Information