Public Storage

Compare Self Storage and Portable Storage Companies

Research top Self Storage and Portable Storage Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

SCAM. SCAM. SCAM. My experience seems to be like everybody else's. "Public Storage" has a nice, homey, comfortable sound to it. You are drawn in by the big name you see everywhere. That makes you think "these guys have a corporate office that will deal with anything the local offices won't". WRONG. The first unit I lost was 100% my fault. I was at a bad point in life, and the unit was halfway across the country. There was nothing I could do. However my mistake was renting a second unit from these guys. My second unit was sold without my knowledge! I paid the same way every month, and for some reason, this last month, they decided they wanted to handle things a bit differently. After the unit was sold, I contacted the manager who said she would reach out to the man who bought it (he frequently buys units there) and she would give him my contact information back.

All I wanted was my family's birth certificates and my marriage license! Easy enough right? WRONG. She played this "oh I'm still trying", "Oh he said he would give you a call", "Oh I never spoke with him" bull crap game until finally she just decided to ignore all my calls. I reached out to the district manager, no return call. I toyed with the customer service line for DAYS and just got tossed around from person to person, none of whom were really going to help me. THIS PLACE IS A SCAM. Not only do they do this to people every day, but they increase their rates over 20% every 6 months it seems! What a joke. Rent a storage unit from a small, family owned storage facility instead. These guys are racking up bad reviews all over the country.

I've been a customer renting a storage unit from public storage for about 7 years at the San Jose California 3900 vista park and even for 4 more year before when it was called Shurgard. Public storage has been buying up all the storage unit facilities everywhere. So I've been at this location for 11 years. My storage needs have change and my units would get bigger then smaller and it kept the cost down since they raise the rent every 6 months. Every time I moved units I'd have to go through their renting process and go over their rules so I know the rules pretty good and I would have to explain why and what I'm using the unit for and every time I've said the same thing. I show up in the morning, grab the materials and tools I need and drop them off in the evening and sometimes I'll need to repair something for my job. They always have said that that's not a problem as long as I was out by 9:00 pm.

Well I guess the management from corporate walked by my unit one evening as I was fixing something I needed on the job the next day as I've done many times before. The next day I get a 3 day eviction notice because my unit is set up like a shop and no it's not my truck is but my unit is not. My issue is neither of these managers even looked in my unit which they were more than welcome to do. It was a false accusation plus I've been doing this same thing for 4 years longer than they owned it. Not to mention that I got this notice on the day before New Year's Eve.

Then at the same time they change their hours and you had to be out of there by 6:00 pm. So after a couple of phone calls they gave me until the 10th but I don't get off work until 4:30 pm. How is this legal? The only thing I can think of why they're doing this is they want to auction off my unit. I can believe that they can give no warning just get out. This district manager Ryan ** has no soul. I have never missed nor have I made a late payment ever. That's loyalty for you. If you can find another storage facility public storage will stab you in the back. Please don't use this company. They're bad news. Just read all the reviews.

If you can use a local company or any other alternative, I strongly advise it. Public Storage is high priced with late fees that hit on the 31st which can be 30% of the monthly bill, exorbitant and unconscionable. If you have not paid by the 10th you'll be denied access to your unit until you pay the entire month, even if you want to move out and pay a prorated amount. It is predatory capitalism at its very worst and should be avoided.

Who charges $20 just to make a payment with customer service department and who charges $10 to pay with a card. This company is awful, I can't believe they get away with running their business like this... I can't wait to get my stuff out and be done with them.

Worst company & customer service ever. All they do is take your money and will still block you from your own items even after you've paid. I am in Atlanta. I am paying $280.00 a month and had water damage & mold in my unit because the PS units are old and they leak. They gave me no customer service to resolve the issue. It took them 3 weeks to respond back to my complaint. They are ready to cut your locks and sell your stuff after the 20th but it takes weeks for them to respond to customers if at all. (Meanwhile they are still calling you to make payments).

They charge you late fees if you pay past the 1st but you cannot access your items even if you pay late fees. (Late fees don't grant you any extended time.) I've had my very expensive items in there for 4 years. They treat you like a guy off the street instead of a 4 year paying customer. I could write a freaking book about how ** they are as a whole but I don't have time. Go with PODS or another company. They are a Dinosaur organization and aren't interested in helping their customers at all. Stay Away from them!!! They are the absolute worst.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Public Storage?

I was warned about Public Storage. But did not think I'd be screwed over to this magnitude. I had been renting from this location since September 2016 till today, December 10th, 2016. I came the other day while the district manager was there. All of a sudden he comes to me with this made up story that it seems like I'd been living in their storage unit. And that they actually took it upon themselves to LOOK INSIDE MY STORAGE UNIT and draw these whacked out conclusions. (Don't flatter yourselves guys, your elevators smell like urine, and you have obvious drug addicts working for you, such as your cashier, Jean.. LOL) Yes, me living in a 5 x 10 storage unit, with no access to the building after 9pm and I work till 11. That totally makes sense.

Thursday, December 8th, I was told I have 48 hours to get my things out of my storage, and that I was going to have an overlock put on the unit and would only be able to access it if the staff was there to open the door for me. Not only that but they didn't promise me a refund after I paid $123.00 just days beforehand for the month of December. So basically I'm being conned out of over 100 dollars, and the safety of my belongings is currently in question. Do not do business with Public Storage, especially this location which is right next to the entrance to Port Everglades. Today I'm happy to say I'm ridding myself of these criminal thieves, and am moving my business to CubeSmart, who has cheaper rates and more secure facilities and better customer service.

I got a call from Public Storage that a person in the unit adjacent to mine had damaged the drywall dividing the storage spaces and that the company needed me to move some of my stuff so they could repair the wall. Upon arriving at the location, I discovered that the drywall had been intentionally broken down. The drywall had a 5 ft by 5 ft hole in it and 2 nice chairs and a bookshelf had been stolen.

Also, 90% of the boxes had been shredded open and the contents of the boxes were strewn throughout my unit and the adjacent unit. Public Storage said they auctioned off the property that was in the other person's unit, which may have been MY property since the person stole it from my unit. The company compensated me with a 10% discount on a new unit. The walls are drywall. I thought originally that Public Storage units were better protected, like maybe there was brick between the units. NOPE. Just flimsy drywall. It would be just as safe for me to store my property on my front lawn!

Have rented our unit for only 5 months and they are already raising our rent 15%. Did not read fine print, but sales person said the rates would not go up for a year. Called customer service. Representative was cold and did not care. Please rent from anyone else other than Public Storage!

I rented a storage unit from Public Storage for $206 per month. I was out of State. I spent $800 moving my things into the unit. 6 months later they raised the rent to $249. 6 months later it was $291. I saw nothing on my contract indicating 40% increases every 6 months. I called and asked why they advertise at $206 and increased my rates so much. The only way I could have the current rate was to hire a company and move out for 48 hours giving them 30 days' notice as well as reserving 30 days in advance. Publish this to all consumers. The corporate office stated rental rates can increase at any time for any amount. This is clearly a violation of antitrust laws. Bait and switch. I am moving to a new unit with another company indoor climate controlled for $179 per month.

However it will cost over $1,000 move. I was moving and went to the first company online. Please ensure other women are not abused by this company. My increase was going to be another $50.00 in January making the $206 rental $341. I checked all the companies prior to hiring movers and found the average rental is 1 x annually at 7%. Everyone should be made fully aware of 40% rate increase every 6 months. I also noted reviews online stating the company continued to auto debit them after 30 days vacating notice. I followed my bank requesting a signature from the manager indicating I would no longer be charged. The manager Alan refused to sign.

As a previous individual said, they raise your rent for no reason. My rent was raised $23 after only 6 months. They claimed they mailed a letter a month ago, which I never received. They said it was due to the 'cost of doing business'.

Do not use this company to store your valuable belongings. The manager at my location in Rockville, MD told me that I could take a few of my items, no problem. He then said what did not sell I could return and collect and that if the auction went well my balance would be less or paid off. I had to contact customer service several times in order to find out how the auction went. My balance was higher than before the unit was auctioned off. I only took non-replaceable things with me. I left these awful people a flat screen tv, a wii, a playstation, a brand new vintage record player, 2 ikea dressers, a couch, artwork, a brand new crockpot, a brand new sewing machine, two crystal lamps, a bed and 2 night stands, 2 shag rugs, a standing mirror and much more.

Do you honestly expect me to believe you didn't make any money off of all those items? I have also tried reaching out to the property management non-stop over the weekend and today and no one will answer the phone. When they have wanted money from me they have called me and harassed me non-stop. For a multi-million dollar company this is the poorest customer service I have ever had anywhere. Why wasn't I told the whole unit would be auctioned off and not piece by piece? Why was I lead to believe that I could return for anything left? DO NOT trust these crooks with your valuables. They really don't care about their customers. I am homeless with no bank account and no way to stop them from sending me to collections. Stay clear of Public Storage.

There has been a pine tree in the middle of the parking lot in front of my spot on Hilton Head Island Office Park since Hurricane Matthew 4 weeks. For a company this size I do not understand why an issue of this magnitude should be lingering for this long. There is no excuse for this situation. Over the years they have no trouble going up on the spot I rent and not changing anything, just supply and demand. They say they have looked at it? and? nothing. But I bet they will still charge me for it.

I have been a loyal customer to Public Storage. I am keeping my stuff in one of their storage units for the year (at least) while I travel - I have never made a late payment and have always paid in full. I recently saw that my bill had increased by $14/month. When I called to speak to the property manager, she said that I had probably been sent a postcard at some point that this would happen. When I asked where I could find this in the contract, she said this was not in the contract, nor could she identify a rhyme or reason to when/if they would increase the rate again, but she guessed it would be every 6 months or so.

I was never notified of a potential for a rate increase, and was in fact told that I would pay $140/month for the year. I obviously am unable to remove my stuff from the unit, or to switch to another company until I return to the area. When I tried to call customer service, there were no options to speak to a representative from the corporate office and I was told by the property manager that there were no other options.

The only reason I gave this place a 1 star is because it is the lowest available score. I exercised every measure possible to resolve this concern prior to writing this review. Contacting the local District Manager Phil **, Senior District Manager Abdul ** as well as reaching out to the Corporate office which did nothing more than refer me back to the local level. This organization has unscrupulous unit owners and sales associates that are untruthful and scam renters. A company that pays its CEO $7.5M per year. They condone and embrace policies that permit the company to steal money from their renters. It's sad that they have to resort to unfair and deceptive practices such as this.

Public Storage has so many units and so many properties, grabbing $100+ from every one of those units is more than enough to enrich themselves, but instead they run a highly competitive sales game with districts and regions, and focus solely on the bottom line, which unfortunately, gives them the peace of mind to unjustly screw people. Pete, Phil and Abdul I gave you every opportunity to make this right before writing this. Next is the Consumer Affairs division, the Better Business Bureau and every review site that I can submit this to. I can only hope that this review and all other submissions will reach enough customer base impacting your revenue. You can't treat people like this and expect people like me not to stand up and call you out on it. Fellow Yelpers think twice before dealing with this company.

Illegal business practices. Lien fees applied prior to time promulgated by state law. Even when illegal fees paid, restrict access to unit and personal property. This is in Missouri and I am keen on taking legal action and to pursue remedies available under law.

The manager Dana makes Elizabeth ** acts like she is the manager. You never get an answer because she doesn't know what she is doing and he takes advantage of his position. I went there and Elizabeth is 7 minutes late (I make an appointment for 9:30 AM and she arrived at 9:37 AM). Deal with this people in this life is wrong.

On October 26, 2016... my family suffered a loss beyond belief. At first... I couldn't breathe, I couldn't think, and I couldn't speak. In the evening of October 26, 2016, I went online to pay my storage bill. I was not able to pay the $201.00 storage bill because someone else had purchased the contents of my unit for $901.00. I knew was behind on my payments, but I also knew I had until the 28th or 29th of the month before the auction. I have been paying on the storage unit for 2 years and 4 months. I was told by the Onsite Manager that the auctions are on the 28th or 29th of the month. In fact, I reviewed my payment history online and found that I had made a payment on the 26th in a prior month. I didn't fall behind on my payments a lot, but it happened, just like life happens!

I've had several conversations with the onsite manager regarding the auction of my property. I attempted to recover my personal items... pictures, documents, the art projects my children made for me in elementary school and the like. BUT NO... The skilled VULTURE/PREDATOR brought two (2) Trucks to the Auction. One Truck for my valuables and One Truck for my personal items...a.k.a trash!!! I attempted to find out where this VULTURE took the "trash", as I am more than willing to pick through the garbage to recover even ONE (1) personal item. But no... I have yet to find that out. I'm attempting to find out if this vulture has a Resale Shop or just SELLS my valuable items at Yet another AUCTION.

I cannot get contact information for this person because Public Storage has an agreement not to give out THEIR information. That is troubling. WHY was my full name posted on the Public Storage Website Listing the Contents of my Storage Unit?? It's okay to publish my full name for the ENTIRE World to see but I am NOT ABLE to KNOW who took possession of my personal belongings?? I DO NOT BELIEVE my storage unit should have gone up for auction on the 26th. I Say this because I went online to find some information about the October 26th Auction... I didn't find anything for that Auction...BUT What I Did Find... The auction for October 28, 2016. The DISCOVERY of the Auction posted for the 28th CONFIRMED to me that I am correct in stating the Onsite Manager on several occasions confirmed the auctions are on the 28th or 29th of the Month.

The LOSS of my belongings has BEEN DEVASTATING! This LOSS is no different than... a death in the family!! I have MANY QUESTIONS regarding Public Storage's business practices. DID YOU KNOW... Public Storage in a Multi Billion Dollar Company - they pay their Employee's next to nothing. They the largest Storage Company in the United States. They have purchased MOST of THEIR COMPETITION! I would suggest Public Storage has a monopoly within the SELF STORAGE INDUSTRY. While I cannot get back the Baby Rocking Chair that was my Husband's and my Children's... what I can do is MAKE CERTAIN THIS NEVER HAPPENS to another hard working honest American!! I feel each and EVERYONE'S PAIN who has EXPERIENCED the loss of their belongings through a SELF STORAGE AUCTION. I KNOW that with any death we all find a way to live with the LOSS.

I intend to make changes to the laws... Both Federal and State. This PREDATORY SELF STORAGE BUSINESS MODEL MUST BE STOPPED!! I am just a mother and wife. I have no legal background. But I am smart enough to know when I have BEEN SCAMMED! If you would like to join me in getting JUSTICE ... email me at **. We the people shall prevail!!!

I have been with Public Storage about 6 months. They raised my rent. I pay my rent I'm never late. A good company would wait a year before raising your rent. A customer service representative told me it was the cost of operations is why my rent was raised. I told her "I'm not costing you extra money." She gave me the same answer and would not do anything to make it better. I told her "you raise my rent again I will go somewhere else." She didn't care. The real reason they raise your rent is so they can offer discounts to new customers by screwing over faithful customers. This is bad business.

We rented a unit and we were promised 24 hr access that night. We were locked out and never got to make our first drop-off. We had to have everything out of our residence that night, so we were locked out of the house as well. That first load was left in a pickup truck overnight, got rummaged through, & stuff stolen, and then an early morning downpour destroyed quite a few things. Never received any compensation whatsoever.

Fast forward to today, we had to pay our past due balance by noon. I called all morning, left 4 or 5 voice mails, no return calls. My account online wouldn't take a payment. Finally, my ex who lives 900 miles away and has nothing to do with my account got a return phone call. He tried paying, they wouldn't take it over the phone. But my account online wouldn't take a payment either. I emailed the district manager 11 times with no response. You think they'd want their money. Instead they auctioned off my unit, full of my five children's belongings, irreplaceable items like our deceased parents' belongings, family heirlooms, photo albums, literally my whole life. And they still want full payment. I instructed them to notify the person who bought the unit that the stuff needs to be returned because Public Storage made it completely impossible at every turn for us to make a payment. District manager: Caleb **.

I had a storage unit in Salt Lake City for over a year, dutifully paying my rent each month. When they raised the rates, I terminated the unit. Unfortunately, I forgot to cancel the automatic payment from my bank. When I realized my error, I called Public Storage, explained the situation, and of course was promised that the "check would be in the mail". Fat chance. Two months and numerous phone calls later, I'm still out $51. They knew if they stalled long enough I would give up, and they're right. Apparently their profit margin is quite big enough.

I fell behind my storage rent by 6 weeks and Public Storage in Rancho Mirage, CA sold my unit to a predator auction buyer. My entire family's life was in the unit. EVERYTHING! Every document, picture, clothing, identity, birth certificates, etc. All we have left are enough clothes that we could fit in our car. Unfortunately, I suffered a financial crisis and lost my income and home. Everything went into Public Storage in April of 2016 for only what we considered to be about 1-2 months because I found work and couldn't afford to pay the exorbitant unit rent of $280.00 per month for very long. I moved into storage on a $1.00 first month rent special, plus fees and that was a pretty good deal. Unfortunately, I lost my new job because I fell behind on an old CA traffic ticket payment schedule and the county suspended my license (I was a driver).

I tried to explain my hardship to PS but they are very unhelpful and only wanted to threaten me with sale of my belongings. Bottom line is this: My balance at the time they sold everything in Aug. 2016, was less than two months full storage rent. I asked them to wait because I thought I could borrow money from a friend. In the meantime, my phone got turned off and they couldn't call me...even though I warned them ahead of time and told them to communicate with me via email, since I had access to internet at a friend's place where I am staying. I gave them another friend's phone number so they could communicate with him - since he was helping with payments anyhow.

They sold virtually everything I own...from records to clothing to everything. They called my friend on a Tuesday, warning that they were intending to auction the unit's contents to buyers on a Tuesday. The following Thursday (2 days later), I called them from a borrowed phone and they told me everything had been sold. They rudely told me that they had done everything they could - a district manager, who only knew one side of the story told me that they had 'exhausted every avenue' to help me. This is just a lie. I believe the company is too large and too uncaring and irresponsible to care about their customers.

So, registered firearms and tons of ammo, my deceased wife's wedding rings, all of our family heirlooms, collections, pictures...everything - was sold. A four bedroom home full of an entire family's belongings - a full generation of belongings are gone! I estimate...including collectibles and net worth of the belongings which included my recently deceased Mom's estate were in that unit. To replace the replaceable merchandise in the unit is approximately $100,000. All of the other stuff is priceless. So, anyone reading this can understand what a tragedy this is. All for a rent balance of $600.00 including late fees. It all adds up to about 6 weeks in storage fees. I am 61 years old and cannot recover from this devastating event. I have nowhere to turn. PLEASE BEWARE OF PUBLIC STORAGE!

I got my storage unit at the end of March in 2016. In April 2016 my moving company moved all my household belongings into it other than what I would need for a few months while staying with relatives since I relocated to a new city. Before putting ANYTHING into it, we lined the floor with plastic, back to front, and side to side. I looked at their insurance policy and talked to my insurance agent, and my renter's insurance covered everything that their policy did and then some.

When I got own home in September of 2016 and began getting things out of my unit, I noticed that every time I went into my unit, there were orange paint chips falling onto everything from the door. I brought this to the manager's attention, and she stated that they sent out a letter about repainting and recommended everyone go and cover their stuff with plastic. When I asked when this letter was sent, of course it was right before I got the unit, and I was NOT NOTIFIED when I signed the lease about the upcoming paint job. I also noticed that there were 'June Bugs' in various totes and boxes. You would think it would be a sealed building??

As I started working my way towards the back of the storage unit, I noticed a musty smell. On the bottom of some of the items there was some mold that was easily cleaned up. Once I got to the back two feet however, you could see that the entire 1st layer of cement blocks was wet. All my furniture was moldy, black mold, some stuff had to get thrown already. I contacted my insurance company and they said that in the state of MN there is no policy available to protect you from losses because of mold like this.

I have Oak TV Trays that were a wedding present to myself and now deceased husband, my dining room table (center leg), a safety gate for stairs, 2 twin mattresses for my daughter's bed, white wooden shelving for her room, etc, completely covered in mold. Even some black mold. Check out the pictures: Love the wet walls? Even the white mold spores on the black plastic??

I only wanted the storage for 1 month & I told the manager who was doing the reservation. She told me it was fine, & that my reservation was paid from 9/8 - 10/8/16. When I asked about one of the documents she told me not to worry I already paid & just have to notify 2 days before leaving. Then 9/14, I received an email "reminding" me my next payment. I called and talked with another employee who told me the same (not to worry I already paid for my month, notify 2 days before vacating the storage).

Today 10/4, I got a call from mother of the manager saying I am late for my payment and when I explain what I was told by other 2 staff members she said they were wrong and I have to pay or get my stuff out of the storage. I again explain with names and dates of the conversations & she told me again I need to pay & if I have complain call customer service. Which I did and it is a recording which doesn't give you the option to talk to someone or put a complain.

I'm so unhappy with U-Haul as known as Public Storage. They took over the storage place from another company. Ever since then they have been going up on my fee's from 135. Now I'm paying 208. Keeps on going up and just last week I get a phone call saying I got two units and I owe over a 1000 for one of them. I said "I'm paying for a 10 by 20 unit." The lady said I got two units. I said "how is that when there is no wall inside that shows that there's two units," but she claim they open my unit up cause it's about to go for auction cause I'm late but she can knock the 1000 down and I owe for one month's and I'm behind. I said "I never knew I had two units so how can you auction and make me pay."

She wasn't trying to hear me at all. She said I have a choice - pay or lose it. If I stay I got to pay 365 a month. That's crazy. I will never deal with them again but the reason she said they go up on me every month cause they replace a roof, they cut grass but that has nothing to do with me when they knew what type of storage place they was investing in, so why should I be responsible. I'm just not understanding. I'm getting me a lawyer.

Denise, you are one of the best property managers I have come across in a long time, but I know the people higher up will not tell you this. They will only knit pick at the things wrong with the property that they know about already. Property Managers can only do so much and you have done a good job. So keep up the good work and try not to let their stupidity bother you. Your Relief person is the one they should talk to Mr. **, I have very rarely seen him do any work and they don't address that... Typical corporate BS.

One thing I hated was the increase in price on the climate control storage space and you could not tell you were even in the climate control building. Why they increased the price I have no idea and then it still wasn't fixed. District manager should have been fired, whoever he is. The problem is if you pay the rent late on your space, late fees. Locked out, red tagged and auction. Why don't you take the same approach as far as fixing things on the property? Don't tell me it's a budget issue. When I moved out the air condition in the climate control building still wasn't fixed, a window to the office was still broken and at several of your locations, you have people living in the units. When did You people start doing this and where on the rental agreement does it say you can do this... Quit looking because I can't find it. I see that it's the same Public Storage just different puppets in place at the top.

A large tree fell onto my cargo trailer when it was parked in a space that I had rented monthly from Public Storage. It was Aug 30th when the incident occurred. They removed the tree on the 22nd/23rd, a full THREE WEEKS after it was reported. I called the property manager, customer service, and 3 different supervisors, multiple times. I finally received a callback today from Jessica, who had previously ignored my calls. She offered me 1 month's free rent. My trailer has significant damage from the extremely heavy tree being left on top of it for so long. I lost three weeks of its use and had to rent other trailers/small trucks to take care of business. They refused any additional compensation. Anyways, I told her that I'd see them in DeKalb County Court. If you rent from this place, you are mentally insane. You will be subjected to their ongoing neglect and verbal abuse just as I was. Consider yourself warned. Thank you for reading.

I knew something was wrong the day I met my new landlord, so with hesitation, I got a storage from these con artists December 31st, and wouldn't you know it, I was right. The new owner evicted me. Since I needed the storage, I got a lot of help from Marjorie, the manager at the time. I explained to them that I work out of town, yet, I can pay online. It never worked. I was late, and man, did I pay DEARLY! Public storage contacted my resources, and they notified me.

Then Marjorie disappeared. Public Storage hired a ghetto trash talker. The day she started as manager, she left a nasty voicemail to me on a Saturday. The following day, my storage was broken into, the crackhead that cleans them out only took the valuables, then the ghetto girl threatened me after I told her that I'm no threat. I just wanted to come down to find out why they sold my stuff with NO warning.

At first, the clerk was on my side, then he changed his story AFTER their Supporter called me and told me to get a lawyer and don't call back. You just can't be nice to these con-artists. DO NOT use this service. Public Storage failed the BBB standards, with an "F" rating, and they raise your rent and change insurance policies so you can't really use it. Another scam. They sold my things AS SOON as a law came out stating they can sell stuff after 30 days. I've paid them for 3 years, and they knew I was moving out, stating my stuff was trash. Yet, from resources, they collected a few hundred off my stuff they auctioned. Stay away from all public storages. They won't even stay in the office to collect payment, yet charge a late fee afterwards!

A ** female named Emily at this location called 911 from her cell phone on me as a new customer of Public Storage in the Spring of 2016. I inquired about renting a larger storage unit and when I told her she underestimated the size of the storage unit I needed after I told her specifically what I owned she became defensive. When I walked into the store, the girl lied to my face and said she had never seen me a day in her life when she was the one who initially handled my paperwork the previous week. Let me make it clear, I did not have an attitude or yell at her. I told her to calm down and just check and see if she had a larger unit for me to rent as she raised her voice and began pointing her finger at me.

I was moving within a week and the security cameras behind the counter only saw my face and the back of her head. Instead of calming down she told me to leave the location and that she was going to call the cops on me because she said I was being disrespectful. Well I didn't leave and I talked to the cops in the rain on the property. She kept my paperwork, and gave out my pass code.

I had to contact the Alexandria Police Department so I could return to the facility to pick up my paperwork. While I was waiting the employee either took a picture or video of me and my car as I was waiting to pick up my paperwork. I contacted the district manager with the last name of ** and he never returned my call. Needless to say, I do not recommend Public Storage.

I rented a storage unit from the one on North Lamb Blvd in Las Vegas. When I reserved the unit by the central processing reservationist they told me the area was secured and they had cameras... Less than a month after renting the unit it was broken into and items stolen. I then learned that they had only 1 working camera which was useless as it only recorded people coming in and going out the main gate. I then re-secured the unit to only have it broken into a second time so that is twice in less than two months. This time they cleaned me out completely. They left nothing in the unit. When I reported this not only the ** fabulous so call manager acted like she didn't give a (Bleeeep)... they were very unhelpful when working with the police to retrieve my items. I have rented units from different companies all over the country because I move a lot. This is my first and last time I will ever use them again.

4 stars for the property. 1 star the experience. I have been a tenant of Public Storage for the past 3yrs or since they took over the property. Even before they took over I have already paid my bill on the last day of the month. After the Public Storage take over they started doing renovations on the property (Painted the building Orange and Tan - office changes including gate code changes) the property was actually nice well kept property before hand.

Well their paint crew came in sprayed the building and of course the paint went in the garage door crevices interior and got overspray on my Z06 Corvette and Custom Harley Motorcycle. When I found out and made a complaint to the office they offered me a discount on my next month's rent. Ended up settling for a month free rent. One neither bike or car has insurance at them and I honestly just didn't have it to fight it. I did get the car cleaned but the bike never has been right since. Sold it!

The previous owner and Public Storage both charge a late fee. PS fee is much more 20 percent of rental fee and I have never really complained about that considering I know I am late... Though one time they called to tell me my unit was in auction status and the auction was on that current day I needed to take action immediately. Luckily I was in town so all was settled. Till I found my lock had been cut and my stuff inside had been moved around and couple things damaged. I made a complaint about the damages and showed the damages to the onsite office staff that day. They informed the mgr but she didn't have time to talk about it or deal with it. Just wanted to avoid the issue. Never got settled.

Today I login to pay my bill and find why rent has increased again. Made a call to customer service and they said it was not in their control notice has been sent out... Like all other notices they say they send never received. The office staff, Property mgr are nothing but a face to lease a unit can never do anything. I paid the bill as I don't want to have my unit go in auction status and I am just gonna move. This review is to help others that are thinking long term rental like I am.

The same property the local Public Storage District Mgr ran a lot of the tenants that had been at the facility away. Most are well respected businesses. They never had any issues and were very courteous and clean about their units. The District Mgr always avoided my calls when I ask for the insurance company for the painter that got over spray on my car and bike. Just bad business. I would have moved already but I just didn't have time. Things are better now and now I do. Thanks for reading and God bless.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Public Storage is a global self-storage provider offering facilities in the United States and Europe. Along with self-storage they can accommodate business storage needs and vehicle storage needs.

• Unit sizes: Public Storage offers unit sizes ranging from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 25 feet. The smallest unit can hold the contents of a small room or a large closet, while the largest unit can hold the contents of a 250-square foot business space or up to six rooms. Vehicle storage spaces range from uncovered to enclosed for cars and large spaces for RVs and boats.
  • Moving supplies: If you are in need of moving and packing supplies, Public Storage offers boxes, packing supplies, tape and specific moving kits for purchase. They provide free shipping on orders of $75 or more.
  • Business storage: Public Storage offers various businesses tips and ways to use storage to make operations more convenient. Real estate, office, construction and retail businesses have easy access to units for daily or seasonal needs.
  • Discounts: Consumers can go online for discounts and specials such as $1 first month rent on selected units for new customers and 15 percent off monthly rent.
  • Service areas: Thanks to the acquisition of Shurgard Self-Storage, Public Storage has self-storage facilities in the United States and Europe. Consumers should check the interactive map online to determine their nearest location.
  • Best for Consumers with personal or business self-storage needs, both domestic and abroad.

Compare Self Storage and Portable Storage Companies