Public Storage

Compare Self Storage and Portable Storage Companies

Research top Self Storage and Portable Storage Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Public Storage is definitely a rip off. I first started at 116 then it kept on climbing until past 218! I am now scheduled to move and they said they don't prorate and I have to pay for the entire month even though I am moving mid-month. How can a company do this to people? They should have a reminder or disclosure upon signing the contract that you will not be reimbursed the storage fee if you move out past the 6th day of the month. I will not ever use these crooks again. They rip off people and the storage facilities are not even well taken care of. How can we people get our hard earned money back? Anyone else got ripped off like this??

Public Storage has a policy of charging a late fee on storage rental bills that are paid after or on the 7th of the month. Today is the 6th of month and I have tried all today to pay my bill online before the 7th of the month to avoid this late charge. First, I called their customer service number to pay over the telephone to save a little time. After spending a while listening to prompts from a machine I learned that they charge an additional 10.00 fee to pay over the telephone with a credit card. Second, I attempted to pay online with their website where I am already registered with an account but this did not work either because the computer saved user name and password would not log onto their site.

Finally, I attempted to reset the password through the website at least 7-10 times and it would not send the code to my email to reset. Well tomorrow is the 7th, the late charge now applies and my final option is to go to the location to pay the bill in person. I would have done this today if I had not spent so much time trying to pay this one bill today. I guess they want to force you to use their autopay system so that their almost monthly increases can be taken automatically. I am going to solve this by just getting my things out of there. Greed at a new level!

I checked around and got a 10 x 15 unit at a Public Storage Facility in Ledgewood, NJ paying $149 a month. Lo and behold 6 months later they are raising the rent to $180 a month, a whopping 20% increase. I called the company to complain and see what they could do to lower the bill and they told me that this is what they do every 6 months to 1 year. They have a "pricing committee" that decides how the prices should be increased and they do so accordingly. Therefore you are NEVER locked in to your rate. BEWARE.

Clearly, I did not do my homework on this and did NOT expect an increase like this. What a racket this is. I would be VERY careful about this place and I would not move your stuff here thinking you are going to get the current rate they are offering for any length of time. What a joke. They offered moving me to a smaller space and I said if I wanted that size space I would have taken it from the beginning.

Public Storage is a huge ripoff. Rate increase of over $30 in less than 6 months and now we will be paying almost $300 for a unit smaller than the average bedroom. They lure you in with $1 first month when we ended up paying over $100 for the first month. False advertising like this should really be illegal. They don't tell you about overpriced mandatory "insurance" you have to purchase. How I wish I had picked a different storage facility or even PODS. Unless you have money to burn go any place other than Public Ripoff err Storage.

I have had a 10x10 storage unit for past 26 months. My rate started at $169 and now 26 months later it's $344. Last month I went online to pay my storage and it was already paid. Found out they turn on my auto pay so I turned it off again. This month it's back on and my bill was paid. This company is hog. Remember pigs get fatter and hogs get slaughtered. Cleaning out my unit this month.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Public Storage?

Rented a unit on Union Hills rd in Phoenix in Dec 2016, my monthly rent went up by $41 in one shot by June. Their excuse was that operating costs went up. I asked to speak with a manager and was advised by Roxanne at customer service that it would do me no good. I will avoid this company in the future and would advise others to do the same.

I have been renting from Public Storage off and on for almost 7 years and 3 different states. My complaint is with the one in Renton, WA. I have been renting a unit for almost 2 years and in that time they have increased my rent twice... each time by 26.00. The unit is not one their best. It rains here in Washington almost continuously during 10 months of the year. Our unit does not have a gutter, so there is always a waterfall over our door when it rains. This waterfall prevents us from entering our unit unless we want to get soaked and have all our belongings soaked.

This price hike is going to lose them our business. As soon as I can remove my stuff out of the unit I will be done with them and we will spreading the word to everyone about how bad this rental place is. I have an accounting business and I do a lot of business with other business owners in the King and Pierce County area. So word will spread quickly. My account is under my daughter's name and she is removing her stuff from the unit also.

Please be aware of the untold contract agreement such as prorated charges. I rented my unit from May 15 to May 31 and I went to the office to close my account June 1. Now they are telling me that I owe $70 for prorated charges. I pay for a month up front. No wonder why they have a 1 star rating. I wish I would have read the reviews before signing a contract. Hope these reviews help other people in the future. Stay away from public storage.

Please be mindful of your stored property. According to my understanding there are cases in which people are actually/literally staying in the storage unit!!! Last year on the "emergency" stairs I got into a half naked street/homeless woman. I've never taken the stairs again and I've always waited for the elevator since then. This year it seems one moved into one of the bins... also a bin in the row. I walk to my spot, started smelling after sounding like something is inside eating chips which makes you wonder if some rats have a nest there or if a pet is actually stored there!!! After a short time I had to go out and it took me two hours to clear my airways of that stench. I am terrified to tell the employees there. They have a style to turn the matter against you. Moreover, even in the contract they claim they are not responsible for any safety aspects. The police sends you to the manager.

In Vero Beach Florida on US1, the assistant showed me a small unit. There were giant ants crawling down from a trap-looking ceiling. And like others who have complained, the cost went from a 50% discount to added administrative fees, insurance fees, taxes for each of the fees and taxes on the cost of the unit. $20 quickly turned into $65. But the next suspicious catch was that she asked for my driver's license and contact information Before telling me about all costs and had me sign it. When I said I wouldn't take the unit after hearing all the fees, she refused to remove my information or destroy my paper that I signed. Seemed shady. I wouldn't trust them. She seemed at a loss for words when I said I was going to compare prices with other storage units. She was dazed after that. Thank God I didn't take their insect infested storage unit.

Public Storage is a scam. Their advertised prices do not apply towards the storage unit once you reserve it. You will get an email days before your scheduled rental starts informing you of a price change. Also, be aware of the units and water damage. Some of their units leak water. This is a problem that has not gotten fixed.

Paid $167 for a storage unit. My storage needs changed within three days. Requested a partial refund for unused storage time - wasn't expecting admin fee, insurance, or taxes back. They refuse to refund any of it - except the lock. The unit won't even be used. Very money hungry company and not customer service friendly. Be cautious when dealing with them. Based on my experience with them, I'd consider another storage company.

On May 6th, 2017 I went to the public storage facility to put something in my travel trailer camper. I discovered that the trailer had been stolen, and that the property manager hadn't even bothered to call me. The camper was later found destroyed. The office manager staff have provided very conflicting information. The regional and district managers have been callous and indifferent acting as though this is normal, another day at the office.

Went to rent a climate-controlled unit in St. Louis, MO based on the "15% off per month" prominently displayed on their web page. When I got to the location, right off the bat they tell me, "Based on our current demand we're not currently doing that promotion." Fine. Then there is the mandatory $20 lock purchase "to ensure our stuff is safe", not mentioned anywhere on their website. Then there is the mandatory insurance, also not mentioned anywhere on their site. I guess the unit itself was the last straw - for a "climate-controlled" unit, it looked exactly like one of the outdoor units with a building shed built over it.

So much false-advertising and bait-and-switch - no way would I ever give them any of my money. Instead we found EZ Storage. Way, way nicer climate-controlled units, no mandatory lock or insurance fees, they even have a large truck you can rent for $10 and best of all... less expensive than the base rate at Public Storage. That's before getting 50% off the first two months as part of a promotion they're having. It was like a night-and-day comparison.

I have used this facility in Rochester, NY for almost 2 years and each year they go up on the rent but the service is lacking. The problem I have is when I began renting at this location they offered a secured facility where in order to get inside you needed to put in a code to open the gate. Here is the problem, the gate has not worked since about a month after I signed my contract. At first, I thought it was temporary and since I hardly ever needed to go there I never noticed. Lately, I have had cause to drive that way and began noticing that the gate is left wide open all night. Not only is this a problem for my belongings, it is also a safety issue, anyone can walk or drive in there and break open the locks and take my belongings, not to mention someone can hide in those units because they are not locked either.

So, I called the corporate office who told me to contact the local office. I did this and was basically told they rent spaces and the security of the gate had nothing to do with my rental cost. They added that they had gotten some estimates, after 2 years, but didn't know how soon the gate would be fixed. I was given the number of the district manager to call, I left him messages and he never took the time to call and respond to my grievances. As a company which provides a service he at least owed me the courtesy of a return call. To date, I still have not heard back from him.

It's easy to say if you are not happy with them just leave but leaving means having to pay additional money for a truck, finding someone to help you move and my time. Just fix the gate, you owe that to your customers and while you are at it, secure the doors leading into the units and put stoppers on the doors so we don't have to find something to hold the door while moving things in or out of the unit.

We rented a unit about 6 months ago. Only one light was working in the unit. Property manager was notified. Fast forward 6 months, our rent goes up $30/month AND now all lights in the unit are out. We had to get on a ladder and change out a set of bulbs ourselves to see. The other fixture was broken. Property manager AND Corporate Customer Service was notified. Customer service rep basically said too bad about rent and he would contact property manager about light issue. So we are paying more for our unit plus doing some maintenance.

This company does not care about their customers. I will be sure to tell everyone I know about the horrible experience I had with this company. They absolutely do not care. Your stuff is in their facility and they "have you". We only have a few more months until our new home is finished and we will no longer need the unit. I don't think I could go through finding another unit and move my entire household again that is why I am sucking it up. I wanted everyone else to know what a horrible company this is and if there are other options for you, use them. I think anything would be better than this.

Public storage in Auburn Washington is also horrible. First my family lost stuff due to a fire and water damage and only given 1 day to remove our stuff and also move what we could salvage to another unit and then that other unit I just found out was infested by rodents. My stuff was safe (no food) and not a problem with infestation the whole 5 years I had it in the previous unit, but the outdoor ones are infested and was told by other people down the same aisle as me that they were moving out and lost their stuff for same reason when I was there today.

Storage didn't let us know they knew about the problem to ask us to come check our stuff or anything. Rats had all winter to nest in there. They also will not help with removal of my items or help me by getting us a dumpster so we can toss our stuff. I am disabled and have no help or real physical ability to safely take care of my items now. They could at least help with removing my items since I've payed them to pretty much let all of my stuff go to hell anyway. Storing your stuff at Public Storage is about as good as just leaving your stuff at the side of the road.

You may as well just take all your stuff to the public dump and get it over with sooner and with paying less money. I actually care less about compensation for my stuff than I do with needing the help to safely remove and dispose of my items now that they are trashed anyway. BTW, even if your policy says it will cover fire, water damage, they will not cover it if caused by another resident (IE: someone smoking while on property) and Public Storage will not take any responsibility if it's not electrical damage by faulty wires. They also will not consider case by case basis to let you use their dumpsters in cases where it is totally their fault the infestations are not controlled.

Watch out for up-charge gimmick! I received an email that said my total move-in charge would be $73. When I go to move in, I am told that I have to buy their lock for $19.99 (mandatory). I am also told that I have to buy their mandatory insurance for $15 per month. I am also told that I must pay a "one time" Administrative Fee of $24... then, to top it all off, I ask if I have to worry about rodents chewing up my stuff, and the manager acts like that was the dumbest question she ever heard. "It's Florida and your stuff is stored in an outdoor metal shed... what do you think?"

So, the following day, I call corporate and ask if I can be moved to a climate controlled unit that will be rodent free (my stuff is worth $4,000). His response was that I could, but I would not get credit for the $107 that I paid for the first unit, and I would owe them an additional $170 for a smaller unit. I think this company is the worst rip-off outfit I have ever dealt with. Think about it before you give them your hard-earned money!

The Public Storage located at 1062 St. Johns Place in Crown Heights Brooklyn, is the worst! For starters, their staff is very rude. On Friday, April 21, 2017, at 12:33 pm, my mother wanted to use the restroom before we went to our storage space. A staff member stormed passed us with an attitude as we attempt to ask her about using the bathroom. I said, “Hello,” she never respond and slammed the bathroom door in my mother's face. Secondly, the storage area lacks ventilation, lighting, air conditioning in the summer and heat in the winter and they have a rodent problem. Thirdly, my mother complains that she dreads going in to pay her bill because they always have an attitude so now, she pays her bill online.

I had recently lost my job and my payments became accrued over time, next thing I know have to pay $1700 just to get my stuff out! I'm so upset that I will lose everything. I spoke with the Property Manager and she told me, "you can make partial payments". I said, "even if I do that I will never catch up". My auction date is 6/20/17. I still am unemployed till this day. I'm trying not to worry too much because I suffer from mental illness. I have been working at bars just to make ends meet. But they don't care. I will never go to Public Storage again! :(

Consumer Increased Rating!

Corporate from Public Storage called on 4/20/2017 to resolve my issues and we work them out. Thank You.

Mary of Charlotte, NC on

Original Review

Before I got the storage I called and ask if there were any other charges beside the $1 and $24.00 Administration fee for the first month rent. Was told no. Was not told about the prorate of $76.00 after that. What I did know is that I would pay $190.00 after the first month March 20th-April 19 and on the 19th I would pay the $190.00 which would take to May 19th. When went in the storage talk to Nichol, She handed me the papers. I proceeded to read them and Nichol said that is what she was going to tell me about. What was in the papers and she never said anything about the prorate charge for April 20th-30th. Then you pay again on May 1. Please be very careful this company is very deceitful. Ask plenty of question before renting.

Rented unit from 2300 Purdue Ave in W Los Angeles for three years and recently had a water leak, mold and rat dropping issue. The manager ** did not help with situation and was very defensive leading me to believe they have other leaks. She did not offer anything like boxes, new unit and kept saying it was not their problem. After waiting three hours to get another unit because computers were down and she did not want to deal with the issue and helped other people while I just stood and waited. Asked to speak with her supervisor and she called him leaving a message. He never responded back. I called and left several messages for the district manager for a week and still waiting.

I moved my stuff into a dry unit for a few days while a went through my items and there was a break-in on the first floor. The tenant asked ** if there were other units broken into and what about the security cameras and she would not answer the question getting real defensive. We looked at other units and they looked like they were broken into because they had new locks on them like the tenant's unit would. Then on top of $10,000 in water damage to my belongings that they will not address and won't return phone calls, they charged me $130.00 for the unit I had to move into for three days because of the water leak in my old unit. The building is in disrepair and they will not respond and return phone calls.

Disappointed about the unexpected rate increase to monthly bill. Convenience & location is ideal for local homeowners. This facility (Hopewell Road, Louisville, KY) was originally built & constructed by a local privately owned company and has since been bought out by Public Storage. You can certainly tell the difference in the way the two entities conduct business. I wish the original company stilled owned the property. They were focused more on the customer as opposed to the stock price/investor.

I was give an auction date for my storage unit # **, of 3-3-17. Because of a misplacement of funds they changed my auction date to 3-22-17. I was then told my auction was changed to 3-24-17. On March 16th I sent a text to 3 people asking for a loan so my storage would not go into auction without my paying it off. I then went in to the Irvine Public Storage Store at 1:45 pm and made a payment for $40.00, rent payment receipt # **, and the representative told me my auction was changed to 4-4-17. I wrote at the top of the receipt, Auction April 4th. I was so relieved. My hours were cut back at work and I was only getting a base but wasn't reaching commission. I took on another job to try to come up with the money to pay my bill, finishing work exhausted most days, trying to call the storage unit as much as I could.

After leaving the Irvine Public Storage Store I texted all my friends and relatives telling them they were extending my auction date to April 4th and that I did not need a loan. After working several days in a row I finally had a direct deposit of close to $400 dollars. The direct deposit didn't go through on Thursday, March 23rd like I had hoped. I waited all Friday morning, calling the bank every hour or half an hour until 9 am or so. I finally left the ATM and was called into work. Finally at 3 pm or so the direct deposit went through. I quickly took a break from work and went in to the Irvine public Storage Store to pay my bill in full. The representative looked up my account in the computer and told me that my storage unit had been auctioned off at 11 am that day. I was shocked and began calling managers and district managers leaving message after message, with no return calls.

I did talk to Brian. He said he would not do anything. Customer Service said they would call me in 24 to 48 hours, they never called. Several customer service representatives would not give their id numbers either. How do you get documented proof of who I spoke to? After the auction I was told that my only hope was to talk to the auctioneer. I told clerk after clerk that I was willing to borrow the money from my new employer to pay them for my personal belongings. I would even be willing to give them anything of value. I was promised a call, no one called me. Saturday March 25th I went over to the storage unit to stand in front on my storage unit so they would not take it. Angelia approached me about 11 am to say that I had to leave the storage facility or they would call the police. I left the facility, I did not want to be arrested.

I sat in my car and called all the managers and district managers, they did not answer or call me back. I then went into the store to plead with the clerk to have them tell the auctioneer I would give them $500 dollars or more for all my personal belongings back. I was told I would get a call from Angelia before 5 to tell me what the auctioneer said, no one called me. I want to sue Public Storage for giving me misinformation about my auction date, not returning my calls and for auctioning off all my personal belongings before I could make my payment. I want my personal belongings back.

This is the worst storage loansharking facility around. Stay away from them. Rates start off as affordable and goes up yearly. I leased a 5x10 unit for $141.00. Now recently they send me a veteran another increase for another jacked up price of $175.00. My clothes and items have not moved and I have been there after storing my belongings 2 times since. Please avoid Public Storage at 800 River St Hyde Park Mass. 02132. I have a certified mail into their corporate headquarters as a complaint. Once I receive a answer from them that is fair, we shall as vets of the VFW post shall picket this location or I will leave my clothes there until I get them out and either donate them. They should be renamed loanshark storage.

We got out the stuff delivered but delivery was very poor. Only one person came for the delivery. It was taking ages for him to get the stuffs moved into the apartment. We had move some stuffs to our apartment on our own. The only person came for delivery did not have sufficient tools to assemble tables and mattress bed stand. Also I had to pay 25 $ more at the time of delivery which is not mentioned in the bill at all. Few damaged items too. Too costly as well. Initial quote was 2300$ so that I won't move to other movers and packers. The day before the pickup and gave another estimate to 4000$ and at the time of pick up ended up with 4600$.

I rented out a storage unit at Public Storage in Aston PA. Me and my family's belongings were placed in there with no damage to anything. We are homeless so we had to get this unit. So every bit of our belongings are there. I never missed a payment and was never late. Back in October 2016 a hurricane came through and the heavy rain caved in the roof of the last three units in that row. Which happened to be my unit. I only got notified from going there and my unit neighbor told me to check my stuff. While going through our stuff some belongings did get damaged. So I went to the property manager to let her know that my stuff got damaged with black mold.

She informed me and my friends that she knew this was going to happen because she told the district manager Matt ** and his boss Seth that the roof should be fixed before anyone moving in. So she told me how to fill out the insurance information. By that time our stuff had to be moved but they didn't have any other units available then. One came available almost a week later. But I informed them that I couldn't afford to buy a truck to move my stuff because I'm on a budget since I'm homeless. So months went by. A couple of weeks before Christmas Matt ** said that he buy movers to move me into the new unit. Then I waited and haven't heard anything back from him or Seth until the middle of January that they weren't hiring movers and that I had to pay for a moldy storage unit and find a way to move my own belongings.

I have tried reaching out to different lawyer and public adjusters. And no one would help me knowing my stuff was moved into a unit knowing had a potential of being damaged if heavy rain occurred under the management knowledge. I spoke to them and they continuously said they have no recollection of the damaged unit now before my stuff went in. I recently spoke to Matt to try and get what isn't damaged out the unit. But I'm not sure if anything is worth saving and it's now almost April 2017 and the mold has been in there since October 2016. I'm worried that mold might be toxic now and dangerous for anyone to have anything in there. Can I anyone tell me what can be done help save anyone else's belongings.

I am renting with Public Storage in Ft Worth, Texas at 8400 Camp Bowie. I started off paying $80 for a 10x10. All the sudden, I'm paying $120. I'm also Military (National Guard). They told me since I was military, that I would not rack up late fees or "other" charges. Well, there was a couple times I was late and had to pay almost $300 for one month. I asked them about the military thing and sent my orders. They replied that that was only for active duty, which is not specified in the contract. At one point my lock was cut because of such lack of communication and irresponsible management. And of course my being late with my initial payment due to living out of state and being busy with work and military.

I go to Texas to put a new lock on my unit and **, the location manager told me I needed one of their locks. I told her I would be getting my stuff next week and this lock was going on my unit because I refuse to let them rip me off anymore. She argued with me for about 3 minutes and finally let me go. Fast forward to the next week, March 29th 2017. My nephews and I take a U-haul and a pickup to the location to pick up my belongings. We go in, so obviously the access code worked. As we are loading up the truck, I asked one of my nephews to take an unwanted chair to the dumpster on site. He did.

A few minutes later, Amy comes to where we were and told us we could not leave the chair there. I asked why there was a dumpster if we couldn't use it. She said it was private property for people who live on site. (Her tone of voice and demeanor were very rude.) I told her fine that we would grab it. She walked away talking under her breath.

We finished up and started to leave. We get to the gate, my nephew punches in the code and the gate does not open. He tries again... Nothing. He tried for a 3rd time and again, nothing. He looked at me with a confused look, so I get out of the U-haul and walk into the office. There was a man standing in there visiting with her. She looks at me and smiles real big and said "can I help you"? I said "Ummm ma'am, we can't get out". She said "right. Well that chair needs to go." I told her that my truck was full and we would come back and get it. She said it needed to go now. I told her to open the gate. She again stated that the chair needed to go. I raised my voice and told her I was going to call the police and tell them she was holding us against our will if she didn't open the gate. She told me not to yell at her. I finally screamed at her to "OPEN THE ** GATE". She finally did. She had went into the computer and denied my code so we could not leave.

As soon as we left, I called and filed a complaint. The lady I spoke with was nice, but told me I would be hearing from corporate. Later on that day, I received a call from Sara from corporate. I had spoke with her before about some other things. She said "I'm sorry you felt trapped"... I said "ma'am WE WERE TRAPPED." And she proceeded to tell me that we shouldn't have left until we got that chair. She kept talking and would not let me get a word in. 3 times I tried talking and she kept talking over me. I had her on speaker so my sister could hear. My sister finally had enough and hung my phone up on her.

With all the money I paid into them, I don't appreciate being held against my will. I don't appreciate the kind of business they do. I don't appreciate being treated like I was treated. I don't appreciate being taken advantage of. And I don't appreciate being gouged with prices that are beyond ridiculous. These people are crooks. I have contacted the police. I am not done getting the word out about these crooks. I am beyond disgusted to say the least.

Antioch, CA is not known for much niceties, however, the public storage in that city is an exception! The level of wonderful customer service and the value/level of security is outstanding!

This had to be the worse experience, customer service was the worse. I had put my checking account number in wrong and they charged me bank fees that the bank never charged them. I don't mind paying but all the charges they have you pay and make you think you are only getting charged a dollar. Well my son never put a lock on his unit and never moved in but got charged $36.00. Plus one month plus two bank fees. Instead of not losing a customer they rather make money on made up charges.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Public Storage is a global self-storage provider offering facilities in the United States and Europe. Along with self-storage they can accommodate business storage needs and vehicle storage needs.

• Unit sizes: Public Storage offers unit sizes ranging from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 25 feet. The smallest unit can hold the contents of a small room or a large closet, while the largest unit can hold the contents of a 250-square foot business space or up to six rooms. Vehicle storage spaces range from uncovered to enclosed for cars and large spaces for RVs and boats.
  • Moving supplies: If you are in need of moving and packing supplies, Public Storage offers boxes, packing supplies, tape and specific moving kits for purchase. They provide free shipping on orders of $75 or more.
  • Business storage: Public Storage offers various businesses tips and ways to use storage to make operations more convenient. Real estate, office, construction and retail businesses have easy access to units for daily or seasonal needs.
  • Discounts: Consumers can go online for discounts and specials such as $1 first month rent on selected units for new customers and 15 percent off monthly rent.
  • Service areas: Thanks to the acquisition of Shurgard Self-Storage, Public Storage has self-storage facilities in the United States and Europe. Consumers should check the interactive map online to determine their nearest location.
  • Best for Consumers with personal or business self-storage needs, both domestic and abroad.

Compare Self Storage and Portable Storage Companies