1.35/5
  • 1 star
Based on 90 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Public Storage

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 15, 2018

551 Public Storage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I rented a unit. In June 2016 there was a promotion which they failed to honor. It didn't seem like a big deal. They told me I had the 1st thru the 15th to cancel my unit so they wouldn't charge me a fee. In August they change the policy to the 1st. January comes. I pick up my stuff on the 4th I let them know that I no longer need the unit and they tell me I have to pay for January's balance. I wasn't notify of the new policy. They also told me I need to pay a late fee. Why am I paying a late fee for when I have already cleared my unit?! I contacted the corporate and district manager and nothing is being done about this. I have never had any issues with a storage before. This people don't care about their customers. I hope they run out of business.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

First there was a leak in our storage, then in the last months they increased their fees. Our storage went from $269.94 to $302.04. We went to remove the remaining of our stuff on the 6 of the month and they said that they were not honoring the “prorated” fees any longer! We had this storage for a year and a half with a perfect payment history. Our payments were withdrawn from our bank every 2nd of each month. We spoke to one regional manager who said “I don’t know why they gave you my number. I’m on personal leave!” He gave us someone else’s number, who finally contacted us after leaving a few messages to tell us that the “proration” was a “courtesy” and that their Corporate office had in the last few months removed that!!

NO. THIS IS NOT A COURTESY, THIS IS PEOPLE’S MONEY!! And although my husband explained that we were never notified and should be granted a prorated reimbursement, they insisted that they couldn’t do anything because the decision came from “higher up” - I hope this company losses a lot of their business and clientele for their extremely high fees and unprofessional way of conducting business, not to mention taking customer’s money. Raul ** District Mgr at the Pembroke Pines, Florida office, NEVER RETURNED MY CALL. Our storage location, Hialeah, Florida.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

This week, several units in the Wilshire Blvd facility in Santa Monica were broken into on the 5th floor of the 5-floor building. Public Storage took several days to notify us that our unit “may have been broken into” as they put it. Upon arrival, we found that someone had taken a crowbar or other powerful tool and ripped the siding off of the door entirely, breaking the lock in the process. 10 full-size electric guitars in hard cases were removed from the property without anyone noticing. Total loss, approximately $100,000-$150,000. When police were called to file a report, the employees (** and another woman) were completely uncooperative and refused to give officers a straight answer about anything that had occurred. When confronted about their noncompliance by me, they became condescending and defensive.

TOTAL LACK OF SECURITY. In hindsight, the complete lack of video cameras and obvious vagrants living in the building should have been major red flags. VAGRANTS LIVE IN THIS BUILDING. Several people have been observed living in units and reported to staff without anything changing. Obvious ** grows going on in upper-level units. The smell is overpowering immediately upon exiting the elevator on certain floors. ** is great, but the type of people who grow it in storage units will CLEARLY attract other sketchy criminal elements. I can’t say enough about how awful the facility and staff at 3010 Wilshire Blvd in Santa Monica are. I will forever caution people to stay away from Public Storage.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I've opened an account with them in August 2017. About a month after received a notice limiting the access times to the facility aggressively (Current access times are 9:30AM and 6PM). For 4 months no load in load out carts were available. After that new ones came in which were kept locked and you could check out with turning your ID in. I received a notice from them in the mail stating the day the account turns 6 months old a rate increase of 30%+. Immediately reached out to the store manager and was told that we can increase the price to any amount we want as long as we send a notice to you. Simply a bad business!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I rented a unit in Brick NJ at the Burnt Tavern Location Sept 1 2017. After 4 months I got a notice that my rent was going from 215 a month to 280 a month plus tax. That is a 70 a month increase when reaching out to the district manager and calling corporate. I was told it was probably a computer glitch but I will have to pay the increase!!! Whoever heard of such a thing. I am reading all the other reviews and find that a lot of people are saying the same thing. I'm not sure how they are getting away with this but I am going to make sure it is my mission to put a stop to this ripping people off!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Public Storage?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Personnel at the 5016 E. Ben White location - The onsite manager ** on Sunday afternoon asked us to come into the office. She was very rude. People expect for managers and/or personnel to be friendly, courteous and respectful. We would be making a complaint and her attitude was go right ahead as if there was no worries about losing her job. You would think with a corporation you would expect a certain etiquette for customer service. With bad attitudes, people need to be reprimanded and/or fired.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

This review is for both the national brand of Public Storage and their facility in Holly Springs, NC. We lived in the metro Raleigh area over a year ago and upon moving to Florida, we stored many of our personal belongings in a mom-and-pop storage complex. Everything was great: the rate was great, we could pay our bill online, and the customer service was always great. Then, we were all notified that they were being bought out by Public Storage. Everything has gone downhill since then.

We were given no welcome message, no instructions, no additional info from Public Storage. One month after the unit was taken over by Public Storage, we were visiting family in SC and made the journey back to Holly Springs, NC to get a couple of things out of the unit and pay for that month's rent in person since Public Storage had given us 0 methods to do so remotely. We attempted to make an account online prior to our visit, and we could make an account on their site, but it was not tied to our account number as we later found out. We attempted to make a payment after making an account, and it took our payment and gave me a payment confirmation #.

At the office, they looked in their systems and did not see a payment made on our unit, and we had received a late fee. They asked us to provide proof of payment to Public Storage, and I gave them the confirmation number. They said they wouldn't accept the confirmation number, they wanted a copy of my bank statement. The Public Storage website refunded our payment because /they/ had not yet added my unit to their database, and I received a late fee because of it. I showed them the time stamp on the email along with the confirmation number, but were unrelenting to their error and forced me to pay for the month plus a late fee.

Once we were finally able to pay, we're advised that we have to sign a new lease agreement, and while doing so, there were fellow customers calling in to ask how to pay, to which the staff on duty began informing the other renters that they'd have to /come in/ and sign a new lease agreement before they'd take a payment, and they /would not/ mail the lease agreement. Whew. Good thing I happened to be 600 miles away from home at the time and decided to go in, because we were given absolutely no forewarning about having to go in to sign a new lease agreement, we were given no instructions on how, when, where, or how much. Nothing.

The staff behind the counter told us that they couldn't assign us our own code at the time, so we have /never/, after being with Public Storage for many months, been given our own gate code to access our unit. The staff behind the counter gave us a temporary code to get in that would be disabled at the end of the day. So, if we had the opportunity to access our storage unit in the future, we'd only be able to do so during business hours and after going in to essentially ask permission. Remember the website payment issue I mentioned earlier? That has taken months to rectify between calls to corporate and the local office. The local office usually doesn't answer their phones, and prefers to leave their automated answering service to refer you back to the national hotline. I was lucky to get that fixed - except it never actually was fixed.

I am not tech incompetent. I am a certified computer technician, and I have never had so many issues with a merchant service. Server outages, authentication errors, I honestly don't understand how they can afford to let their site run with so much downtime. I /still/ have issues making payments online. This month, though, is the straw that broke the camel's back. This is the point where I come up with the $600+ I will need to go across multiple states just to get my stuff back. I will happily pay (what is now) 5 months worth of rent with Public Storage to other companies to take the responsibility of watching over my belongings out of the hands of reckless management. When got our unit, it was $75/mo. for a 5x15 unit. 2 or 3 months after Public Storage took over, it went up to $90/mo., and the late fee was increased.

As of the new year, they are raising it again to just under $110/mo. for the same unit, making it the most expensive per square foot in the area. A nearly 50% increase in rent in under one year. That is /absurd/. Difficulty paying online, in addition to the rush of the holidays, new year, starting university, and starting a new job, I unintentionally lapsed on paying December's rent. My bad. I'll pay it with the next paycheck... Except by the end of December, they've *already sent me a piece of certified mail that they want to sell my stuff*. Not even one month overdue, and they will push to sell your belongings for extra profit. No mom-and-pop place will do that. No other storage complex that I've done business with (which I've been using storage units regularly for the past 5 years) has this sort of aggressive policy. Other companies are willing to listen.

Other companies are willing to work with you. Nobody rubs their ability to hold your items at hostage in your face as well as Public Storage. No more. Public Storage has dropped the ball every step of the way, has made the forced experience of being their customer regrettable, and has been entirely careless in the handling of literally every issue I have brought to their attention. We have paid emotionally and financially for their mistakes, and Public Storage - on both the national and local levels have been unapologetic and unsympathetic, save for the canned, insincere response you could expect from this level of carelessness. Avoid at all costs. If they happen to buy out the mom and pop business you store with, vacate immediately. I would not recommend Public Storage's business to anyone under any circumstances.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

They are ripping off people like crazy. They do not supposed to increase more than $5.00 to 12.00 by the end of the one year even if it is month to month, they are charging from 30.00 to 50.00 as they please at any given time... this lady "Dianne" customer- supervisor she say that they can increase as they please after me complaining for the increase [but not. They can not]. "I told her that this is not an apartment where you actually live in (in that case It is understandable)"... These are rental space with nothing special nor upgrading to the units. CRAZYYY!!! People need to complain to BBB (703) 276-0100. They are forcing rental INS. which is not mandatory in Florida. Also when they run out of specific special/size that it is when they are going up ASAP, and they just send you a paper, not a phone call, nor certified letter, nor email... That is incorrect and against the law in most USA states.

I'm going to look for a lawyer that may help out with this swindle, since they are doing this to many, many, many people. When I went to their office the "new lady" (constantly changing staff) did not knew me, so I ask her rental info. and when I asked for breakdown of the charges, was different to what they are doing nowadays, once you have your belongings there... This guy that came right after me he said they done the same thing to him and he has 3 spaces and increasing a charge of $50.00 per each, I told him in front of the lady that need to do something because that is not right, he thought that it is nothing that he can do because the company main office/corp office they are doing the run around with his complaint, saying that that it is or else!!!

What they are doing provoking people to take things out so they can go to the high prices because they have a new demand for some particular units at some/any given time, that is misrepresentation (real estate/business) in their dealing with customers, I'm going to get legal aids assistance/info. of what can be done and also BBB... So do something with these big fish fraudulent actions. :( :( :(

Resolution response: Dec. 13, 2017

FULLY RESOLVED AND REFUNDED-After submitting the review I received a personal call from a District Manager in the Tampa Bay Area named David.
He took the time to have my account in front of him and listen to exactly what transpired with my account.
David refunded all late fees, pay by phone fees, lien fees and set me up on recur billing to avoid this in the future.

I was very impressed with his attitude and he will be further investigating why his customer service team was not helpful to me to begin with.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

When renting space with Public Storage I provided my card number for recurring billing and it was not used. This created a bad problem of a past due balance, late fee and lien fee. They would not help me with this issue and gave me no recourse. They did not register my email address for online payment. They charged $10 for payment by phone. They took $100 more off of my card on the payment by phone than I requested to pay. The customer service agent was joking around while I was asking to be reimbursed and kept asking what my question was. I explained the situation and what I needed refunded. He continued to jokingly ask me what my question was. It was not funny and he said he could not help me with any of the requested moneys to be refunded.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Our experiences with Public Storage have been terrible overall. We need a drive up unit with a larger than typical door. Most storage companies all have standard 8 foot doors so we're left with very few options, one of which is Public Storage. At first they seem great. We rented during a "special" when they were advertising 1/2 the regular rental rate FOR THE LIFE OF THE RENTAL. Wow, right? We were excited and decided to get in there right away. We were told that the cost of the unit was regularly $428 so we contracted at $214 monthly which is a lot for us, but certainly better than paying full price. We signed our contract in May around Labor Day. Our first payment would be taken out (automatically) on June 1st. We went to our unit toward the end of May and found one of those Public Storage "naughty" locks on our unit. We knew that our payment was on an auto pay PLUS it wasn't even due yet, so how could we be late?

We came back later in the day to see what had happened and didn't even get so much as an "I'm sorry" from Kia the property manager. She basically shrugged and said it must have been put on there accidentally. Of course it was, but at least tell us you're sorry it happened. Nope. So everything goes smoothly. Moving forward, our payments go out automatically, we don't find any extra locks on our unit but at the beginning of November we get a little postcard in the mail saying that our rate is increasing from the promised $214 to $259! What? We've only been there 6 months and what happened to my special rate? When we asked Kia if there was anything she could do about the rate increase she told us to call Corporate and gave us a phone number. That phone number was essentially a huge loop that wouldn't allow you to speak to anyone other than your property manager and she'd already told me she wasn't going to do anything about it.

When I finally did get in touch with them (I looked another number up online) they told me that rate increase reductions were handled at the local level and they gave me the number for the district manager Jeanie or something like that. I called and left her a message - no response. My fiancé called and left a message for the Regional Manager Bobby but we got a call from the senior district manager instead. His name was Mike and HE told me that rate increase reductions were handled by Corporate. Hmmmm. Someone wasn't telling me the truth. I decided to try to reach Jeanie one more time after speaking to the assistant manager, but apparently Jeanie didn't want to talk to me because she had the same assistant manager call me back and tell me that I was out of luck.

What I did find out though is that someone new, coming in off the street and wanting to rent my unit would be paying $308. That's significantly lower than the original $428 I was quoted when I got my "1/2 off special price". Is it fair for them to bump the rate up by more than $100 per month just to make the 1/2 off price sound like you're getting a deal? What a crock of crap. Now I'm stuck looking for another storage facility who won't raise my rates every 6 months or flat out lie to me. These people don't care about loyalty at all. They only worship the almighty buck.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I am very upset and disappointed that the price was raised up. I am currently living with family's, have no place of my own, my income is not going up and I fell behind. Now they want to auction off my things next month. This is all I have and own. They are a rip off and prey on underprivileged folks. They won't even work with you. I fell behind after they went up on storage. They need to shut the Shannon drive one down. Professional liars. Whoever written those reviews are a lie or just their friend or family.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

They wheel you in $1 payment after that is expensive! Three days after paying my bill I removed all my items out of Public Storage. I expected a portion of my money back, no luck with that! I recommend that you use another storage place.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I put my mother's things in storage in February of this year. For the most part the Manager and employees on site are very nice at the McLean, Va location. Where I have the issue is with Public Storages fee increases. They initially give you the intro rate which is fine and the supposed lowest guaranteed monthly rate. Fine as well, however within 4 months of getting ready to pay my monthly rent the fee had gone up $43.00. Huh? When I called the McLean location they referred me to corporate. Oh boy can we say RUDE operator or customer service.

I was told and I quote "it's in your contract. Read it!" Umm okay. I shook off her tone since my things were in storage. I went to pay my monthly bill and noticed today on the 7th I have a late fee of almost $50.00. Huh? I could see if I paid or was behind in payments to my unit but I never have been for one and two. I've paid per looking at past bills my bill between the 5th and 7th and incurred no late fee. Is it me or is it time that Public storage be called out for their hidden fees.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Please Public Storage, take a hint from all these one star ratings that you're greedy, money hungry **. You're worse than a greedy gold digger. Your CEO is worth about 2 billion dollars, while I'm barely making ends meet. I've been with them for ten (10) years, since October of 2007, and they have consistently gone up. I paid them all that I owed them on September 29, 2017 and they even gave me a payment confirmation, just to say days later that the payment didn't go through. Now there's a $123 dollar late fee, (literally, 123 dollars), plus an extra $350 because they're saying they didn't receive payment.

Never mind the fact that I've been a loyal customer paying my high ** bill every single month for the past ten years. Oh, and if I don't come up with $470 dollars by the 25th, it'll go into auction. I'ma pay that, and switch to another storage company, something I should've done a long time ago. You just lost a loyal customer, and I'd advise anyone looking at public storage to STAY AWAY!!!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Public Storage in Dallas on Preston and Frankford sold my personal things out of ** without any contact that they were going to do this. Brett ** emailed me in July that my payment was late and I paid it. On Sept 27th he sold my stuff with no contact. Help! How do I get my things back? Especially my daughter's scrapbooks, birth certificate, etc?

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

My wife and I rented a storage unit through Public Storage. We went there on July 4, 2017 to put some items in our unit. When we got there we realized that all of items were covered in black mold, and as we further investigated, we realized there was a puddle on the top of one of our totes approximately 6-7 feet high, stacked. Items had drip marks, and a tremendous puddle of water on the floor. We got the manager to come in and look at what we were seeing, and took enough pictures to prove everything. We filed an insurance claim with the company you're required to take insurance out from when you sign the contract. We ended up getting the maximum from our insurance policy, which was only $3,000. We estimated that we lost $10-$12,000 worth of belongings that we'll have to replace, and $3,000 is not enough to replace it all.

The icing on the cake here, is that since we still needed a unit, Public Storage moved us into a smaller unit, and charged us the same price!! Public Storage and the representative they gave us to be the middleman between us and corporate, has been nothing but useless throughout the process. He won't return calls, and doesn't do anything he promises to do. For Public Storage to hold no accountability for their faulty unit, is completely unprofessional and unacceptable. For us to replace all our items lost, is going to cost us well more than the $3,000 we got from the insurance. We don't expect to get everything back, but we do believe that we should be reimbursed a portion of what was lost, as well as an apology for all the hardship this has caused.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

They seem to hope and pray that you will be late on payment so your things can be set for auction. Cannot get a straight answer to questions and many times no employee can give a consistent answer to a simple question especially if you are late or might be late. Will NEVER rent a storage place AGAIN!!!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I used public storage for 8 years. As long as I paid monthly my stuff was secure. I never had a problem with the company and when I finally cleaned my storage bin all my belongings were there.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

The storage experience has been great. The management is always pleasant. My things are secure and I can access them anytime I wish. I use my own lock so that no one else has the key.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

Today packing and also getting ready for Hurricane Irma, when into location at 3 pm with my reservation "Labor Day special" Reservation # ** to find out Public Storage agent by the name of ** location 1859 N Jog Rod West Palm Beach Cancelled my reservation!!! Reason one she stated I did not confirm when I actually went into the location 2 days ago and I have a active storage unit rented at another location lie again!!! Asked her to confirm because that was not me I've lived in West Palm Beach for 5 years. Instead she rolled her eyes put her hand up and refused to let me talk to a manager. But yet she was very happy to make another reservation for $100 more than original reservation!!! Unbelievable price gouging slim bags!!! So Upset.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

Public storage has raised my rent significantly twice within a year. Their customer service is poor, the reps are often rude, and the district manager only protects the employees with no regard for the customer. Their office closes indiscriminately at different hours during the day and customers just have to wait for their return, Also I was quoted a price over the phone initially which they did not honor. I will never use their service again and warn against any prospective customers.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I just went down to the public storage on Center Ave in Denver. I intended to pay my overdue balance and collect a few items for my business. The gentleman that was running the office was engaged with a new customer. I proceeded to retrieve a couple boxes of items and thought I would pay my bill when he was done. Half way through my efforts the employee became very agitated and told me that pulling my car around would be better than going through the office and asked what my unit # was. I could tell it was not worth explaining to him that all the spaces in the loading area were full. For some reason this really started to get him bent out shape.

About an hour later there is a voicemail from this man informing me that if I removed anything, it was trespassing. I have retrieved single items on many occasions whether I was current or not. This has never been an issue with any other employee and I'm sure they would have told me if it was a problem. The other employees have always been friendly and professional. I was also informed I HAD to call him and that my items were going to be auctioned off. Now I have no problem with being informed of rules or even being questioned that I'm in arrears or whatever. What I do have a major problem with is some psychopathic sounding dude completely losing his mind without taking 2 seconds to think about the situation. I was being considerate of him and I was rewarded with a very unnerving amount of hostility and accusation.

I don't care how much someone is delinquent or about what the best access to the building is, you don't leave a voicemail with a customer that is obviously meant to intimidate them where they are scared to be in the same room with you. Threatening and accusing people with the level of hostility this person directed at me is WRONG. PERIOD. I would strongly advise that no one go near that location as this guy was ready to completely lose his mind over a 1 month delinquency. And for anyone who thinks I deserved it - my delinquency was a result of having to make a choice between getting medications that I cannot perform any physical labor without that are not covered by insurance vs. being current at public storage. So if you have any situations like mine where you may have to make a temporary choice about your health vs. their fees - don't get involved with this company.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

Public Storage in Hamilton Twp, NJ just raised my rent by 10% and I have only been there four months (it states in the contract they have the right to raise after 6 months). I complained via email to their Customer Service department and also to Jessica, the District Manager for the Hamilton Twp facility, and I received absolutely no satisfaction.They claimed it was due to "overall operational costs" that they had to raise my rent. They really have the consumer at their mercy and they know it and exploit it - it's not an ethical practice at all! I would recommend not using them.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

Public Storage just raised my rent by almost 15% and I have only been there a few months. Moreover, when I complained on the phone they stated they can raise it again whenever they feel like it. So, now I have an underground storage unit where things are already mildewing and I either take this abuse or move a 20x20 storage unit. It seems like robbery. Maybe it's legal, but it certainly is unethical. I would look elsewhere before doing business with Public Storage.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

I do not like this company at all because they get customers in with an introductory low rate and then they raise the rates every year making it harder and harder to pay until it's almost impossible. They get people caught in a Catch-22. Not many can afford to pay a mover every time they raise the rent. Never store anything in these places for more than a year or not at all. It's not meant for long term. They do not reward longevity or referrals. Is there is a class action against this company for gouging customers? Also the corporate office does not return phone calls very much of the time. Thanks. Never store anything in these places for more than a year or not at all. It's not meant for long term. They do not reward longevity or referrals.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

I pay a lot of money at Public Storage in Scottsdale and have not been able to house my unit in 3 weeks because it's pitch black inside and out in the evening. Not only that but the security is a joke. One camera facing the gate. None facing the units. Someone crawled between the back side of the gate the other night and got right in and out with a car faster than I could find my phone to report it, driving a car this time and got out without even using a code!! Ridiculous! I called several times and I am here now and still no lights so I'm leaving a huge note on the door because no one has even bothered to call me back or fix the problem.

What's worse is they are unwilling to credit anyone in this situation. I do not feel safe here at night and I am terrified my unit may get broken into! I canNOT afford to move all my stuff right now so something needs to be done real soon but it does not look like they care. Here is a picture from the outside of the gate looking in. PITCH BLACK! Who would feel safe here?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

There's only one security camera facing the gate at my location in Scottsdale. There has been no electricity/lights on my whole side of the property for over a week and no one does anything to remedy it! It's pitch black out there and I'm usually by myself and only 98 pounds soaking wet. I saw someone come in the property by sliding in on the side of the gate last night and then leave without a code, with a car, After hours! I am so scared my stuff is going to get robbed out of there. Someone can drill out a lock at night and they have won't even know because there's no lights and no security camera facing into the property itself, only on half of the gate, not even the whole thing like where I saw that guy go in last night. I can't afford to move it to another location right now and they dont offer discounts to already existing customers.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

13640 Bel Red Rd. Bellevue WA - I understand from readying my contract that I am supposed to receive 30-days notice when rent is going up. Mine is automatically withdrawn from my checking account and it went up by $46. When I called the office, the young man who answered told me they raised the rents every six months or once a year. Manager is very rigid and didn't offer the on-line discount she encouraged me to seek when I set up a smaller unit there.

P. S. The bathroom has been out of order for four weeks. And the manager said it was really just for our convenience (implying it's not a part of their service) and that they were waiting to have it repaired. And they don't provide a dumpster for those papers we'd like to toss when we continue opening up our packed belongings. Manager said they don't provide it because people dump their sofas in it.

Original review: July 31, 2017

I signed a lease agreement on May 20th and my bill was pro-rated. I informed the lady I will be moving out the beginning of the month (August). I called them to find out what my pro-rate for the 5 days will be and 5 different customer representative told me 5 different things. They can make changes in their policy that will affect your payment and they believe they are not obligated to inform you of these updates. Only a company involved in shady business will their employees won't have a guideline of procedures. Their employees are rude and never ready to help. If they do not prorate at all, they shouldn't have done that when I moved in. I did not get anything writing that they update their terms of service. That is fraudulent and unfair to customers. I will never use them or recommend them to anyone.

Original review: July 30, 2017

Public Storage @ 1501 Louis Henna Blvd, Round Rock, TX - When I reserved into this unit back in April I reserved a unit online for I think $65, 10x10. I think the special was move in for $1.00. Boy was that misleading! Then they say you HAVE to have insurance. That is false. My insurance policy only covers 10% for storage unit contents being $1k so I opted for their insurance at $11/month. I ended up being forced to buy some crazy small lock of theirs at $20 or so and by the time I was done I ended up paying nearly $65 to move in.

Very misleading and false advertising on their part. So, I'm in for what 2 months and get an increase letter for an increase to $80/month starting August 1 bringing my new total to $91. I canceled the insurance today 7/30/17 and still the monthly amount is $80 which is still a $15 increase from the move in monthly amount in April. Total rip off company. Shady practices. When I inquired on the sudden increase just a few months in the excuse was I am on a month to month lease. That is nuts.

I've rented storage units in the past years ago I admit and never did they do an increase like these people. Now I have to go to the huge hassle of searching for another unit in Round Rock, scheduling movers again which costs $$$ and find the time to do all of this while on and off the road. I'm certain based on prior reviews that they will increase again in a few months. I want out before that happens. Once moved into a storage area a customer is supposed to feel relieved of that task not bothered by having to move out a short time later due to price spikes. I highly do not recommend and will definitely do research before signing a contract with another company.

Public Storage expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Public Storage is a global self-storage provider offering facilities in the United States and Europe. Along with self-storage they can accommodate business storage needs and vehicle storage needs.

• Unit sizes: Public Storage offers unit sizes ranging from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 25 feet. The smallest unit can hold the contents of a small room or a large closet, while the largest unit can hold the contents of a 250-square foot business space or up to six rooms. Vehicle storage spaces range from uncovered to enclosed for cars and large spaces for RVs and boats.

• Moving supplies: If you are in need of moving and packing supplies, Public Storage offers boxes, packing supplies, tape and specific moving kits for purchase. They provide free shipping on orders of $75 or more.

• Business storage: Public Storage offers various businesses tips and ways to use storage to make operations more convenient. Real estate, office, construction and retail businesses have easy access to units for daily or seasonal needs.

• Discounts: Consumers can go online for discounts and specials such as $1 first month rent on selected units for new customers and 15 percent off monthly rent.

• Service areas: Thanks to the acquisition of Shurgard Self-Storage, Public Storage has self-storage facilities in the United States and Europe. Consumers should check the interactive map online to determine their nearest location.

• Best for: Consumers with personal or business self-storage needs, both domestic and abroad.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Public Storage Company Information

www.publicstorage.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use