Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.16/5

Public Storage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Public Storage?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Public Storage?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

Lost job due to Covid-19. In the past I had side income from selling items held in storage but right after I moved to Public Storage, who said I'd be able to access my things until 9PM, they cut back the hours to 5pm. No longer could I sell items to people with jobs and income that don't get off until 5PM. They were closed by then. See the problem?

Once my payment was a mere 6 days late Public Storage cut off access to my belongings. Told me to fill out a rent relief form if I needed help due to Corinavirus. 3 weeks later I was notified my request was denied, the most help they could offer was to not raise my rent. No late fees waived, no rent waived. At this point the account was 30 days past due and my belongings are going immediately into auction. Email address for CEO doesn't work. Executive team seems to have created a fake pandemic response! They want to sell your stuff.

Original review: July 25, 2020

I recently needed some storage space and called the Public Storage near me in the Kent/Des Moines Washington area. Seems a guy who missed his calling as a car salesman answered. He wouldn’t take no for an answer. I swallowed the classic bait and switch. Even the national office gave me a quote of a $30 move in.

Big surprise. It was more like $110. Seems I’m required to purchase insurance sold by guess who? I can only imagine what it would be like getting Public Storage to pay a claim. Tack on $15 a month. Can't use my own padlock, have to use theirs, no clasp on the door, internal lock. Reminds me of U-Haul their ball hitch is one size smaller.

After arriving at a very bad intersection was surprised how small the entrance was, only one maybe two vehicles can enter. I must have arrived at rush hour because it took me over 30 of standing in line even to talk to the one person on site. By this time the congestion of vehicles trying to enter, the people standing in line, the word Goat Rope or Cluster** came to mind. After expressing my disdain over the hidden fees, the cost and size of the small public “closet” I renting, got the feeling of somewhere else if I didn’t like it. Sorry I had to have the lift truck back by the end of the day. Plus the fact I couldn’t be on site with a Covid 19 mask, almost made an exit stage left. My unit was way down at the end and I ain’t wearing no stinking mask down there.

Overall the site lady was understanding and semi-sympathetic to my plight, but too talkative with the person in front of me, I had to interrupt and suggest exchanging personal phone numbers so I could be on my way. I did make one final mistake, insist on contact by anything other than email. Checking my email box had to relegate Public Storage as spam, received 7 emails the first hour alone with user info offers discounts and such.

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 20, 2020

Jennifer & Diandra were very helpful and guided me in the right way. I would recommend Public Storage to anyone. The space I rented was in good shape plenty of room. Location is near my house which a plus for me.

Original review: July 13, 2020

I've been a PS customer for several years. Lately, I've been getting phishing emails and texts supposedly from Public Storage. The messages contain account information that should NOT be visible to the public. The conclusion I've reached is that PS has suffered a breach of customer data, and hackers are now using that data to scam PS customers. I've called PS about this data breach three times, and all three times I've been told I will get a call from their IT department. Those callbacks never came. I now change my account information monthly, but PS won't allow me to drop autopay or to remove my credit card information. It seems all I can do at this point is to wait for the my current credit card to expire, and NOT provide the new card to PS. I will start paying cash at one of their locations until I can find a better storage provider with better account security.

Original review: July 3, 2020

Company has overcharged me about 46% over the contracted amount, and has threatened to auction my property, if not paid. Furthermore, the company doesn't provide ANY details of these charges. It is impossible to see any of them, or their justification, through their billing system. I have attempted to resolve this matter with the company, but the last individual I spoke with there, Raul, said he was unable to resolve the matter. This seems to be a systematic issue with the company.

Original review: June 28, 2020

I rented a storage unit on Confess Ave. in Boynton Beach in Dec 2016. They offered a discount rate to lure you in and still wound up paying the full amount. After a few months they raised the rent for no apparent reason and then raised it again about a year later. If you try to call anyone in customer service -- you get nowhere.

They are uncaring, unresponsive and the insurance company that they force you to use is a scam. The real the benefits of what is probably a kick back system.

Last Friday I was finally able to move my belongings out, and the place apparently had become rat infested. There was rat feces all over my belongings. I wanted to throw up. When I called customer service, couldn't get through to anyone, tried new reservations_ someone immediately answers but of course their goal was to get you to rent a unit. I then filed s complaint with the insurance company which is a total joke.

The on- site office was aware of the rat problem, said they were taking care of it, which was besides the point. I was already getting out of there. The guy in the office basically said its not my problem. I wish I had read these reviews before renting from them. I don't know how they can stay in business. Money not people is the only thing they value. I wish the rats would go poop on their belongings and see how they feel. Run dont walk away from this place, there are better storage units with decent people running them.

Original review: June 23, 2020

We had used Public Storage without incident since 2013. In Feb of 2019 that changed. We had three units, side by side, way at the end on a sort-of cul-de-sac. Whom ever they had hired for snow “removal” only pushed blade full after blade full into the “cul-de-sac” until the snow was about 7’ deep from front to back. Twelve of us had no way to get TO our units, let alone actually access them. Nobody cared; lies and empty promises. We had just moved out of our residence of 15 years, and virtually everything was in storage because we still had to finish the flooring in our next home. I had 6 weeks paid severance (mid-February to the end of March) which needed to be spent getting everything out of the other two - temporary - units, sorted and moved into our 3 long-term units ——— that we couldn’t access!!! They never lifted a finger the entire time to have the snow REMOVED like it should have been in the first place.

I had to go back to work as soon as possible after my paid lay-off. Six crucial weeks wasted with not even a modicum of acknowledgement or attempt at making it right. So we wound up having to pay 6 months of storage on 2 units we shouldn’t have had to keep past March anyway. So, come August, we’re slightly behind on 3 units, 2 of which we’re locked out of and are scheduled for auction mid-September.

Long story short, we pay up and get out of our 2 “short-term” units, avoid the auction, and got everything else into our two continuing units. All that was left in our 3rd unit was furniture only, lined up front to back in the order it would be going to our house. SO: on the original auction date of the two vacated units, the DM sold the unit that contained 70% of everything we owned, including the property left from both our parents’ estates - which belongs to the estate, siblings included.

Come to find out, she knows the “buyer” well, he plowed into the wall in his haste to grab all our property, knocking the wall down across all our furniture. We filed an insurance claim, and she overlocked our furniture unit ——WHILST STILL PAID FOR ——- never did give us our furniture, kept the meter running on it til she finally claimed it as ‘deserted property,’ and she and her partner in crime probably took all that, too. DO NOT EVER DO BUSINESS WITH PUBLIC STORAGE! They are dishonest, greedy, and will sell your property out from under you for little or no reason. They will stonewall insurance companies, police departments, the BBB, and your Attorney General's office. I repeat: NEVER do business with Public Storage.

Original review: June 17, 2020

They make arbitrary decisions and they raise rents frequently. The 1st month rent free gimmick is a ripoff because they make all that back and more after they raise your rent. These people are gougers. Avoid them.

Original review: June 5, 2020

I rented a unit on piedmont rd Marietta in good faith that my forgers belongings would be safe. The management and employees were great but the insurance thru Orange Door is worthless. The unit had a leak and our personal belongings were covered in rat droppings, water damaged and roaches. Most has to be thrown away.

I spoke to the office at the location and they took pictures and told me to call the insurance we purchased for the unit(210). When I called the lady who answered could not get my name right and got aggravated when I spoke louder. Finally we got the claim in and within two days I heard back. When I described the damage to all of our family movies, albums, pictures and hand made album I was told the insurance won’t cover them. So I’m out not only all the memories that we stored there but the $15 a month they charge for them to deny coverage. Renter beware. It’s a rip off. Don’t support a company that doesn’t cover goods. If you have receipts of items purchased in the 70s you may be ok but they don’t cover your personal items that you thought were safe. As much blame should be place on the storage company for not spraying or repairing roof.

Original review: May 26, 2020

I went to this Public Storage in Dallas on Avery to store some of my items. I went to the front desk to ask for the overhead door to be open because my storage is on that side of the building. The lady said that she will not open the door because the store is about to close. It was 5:06 pm and the store don't close till 6:00 pm. I told her that's almost a hour. She refused to open the door. Then she ask where is my truck to unload and I pointed at my cargo van. She says no, she will not open the overhead door.

I asked did she know Trish the manager and she replied, "Who?" I keep asking her about the manager and she keep asking me who. I asked can I get the phone number to Corporate and she said no. I asked her why I cannot get the phone number and she asked, "Is there anything else I can help you with." I asked her name and she told me to get out of her office. I said fine and took her picture, she told me if I took her picture that she would sue my **. I asked, "Are you cursing me" and she ignored me. Finally I saw her name tag and her name was Cheryl. I've never felt so disrespected in all my life. First of all this lady was rude and very disrespectful and seem to be on drugs or something.

Another employee came in and I asked for Trish's the manager and she gave it to me outside because I left the office. I tried to reach Trish but I was unable to get in contact with her. I motioned for the 2nd employee to come outside. I asked her for the phone number to corporate office and she gave it to me. Cheryl should never be allowed to wait on any customers because her attitude and professional is totally unacceptable. I will continue to post this story everywhere I can, so people will realize what type of monster Public Storage have. There is no excuse for her behavior and the way she treats customers.

Public Storage author review by Jessica Render

Public Storage is a global self-storage provider offering facilities in the United States and Europe. Along with self-storage they can accommodate business storage needs and vehicle storage needs.

• Unit sizes: Public Storage offers unit sizes ranging from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 25 feet. The smallest unit can hold the contents of a small room or a large closet, while the largest unit can hold the contents of a 250-square foot business space or up to six rooms. Vehicle storage spaces range from uncovered to enclosed for cars and large spaces for RVs and boats.

• Moving supplies: If you are in need of moving and packing supplies, Public Storage offers boxes, packing supplies, tape and specific moving kits for purchase. They provide free shipping on orders of $75 or more.

• Business storage: Public Storage offers various businesses tips and ways to use storage to make operations more convenient. Real estate, office, construction and retail businesses have easy access to units for daily or seasonal needs.

• Discounts: Consumers can go online for discounts and specials such as $1 first month rent on selected units for new customers and 15 percent off monthly rent.

• Service areas: Thanks to the acquisition of Shurgard Self-Storage, Public Storage has self-storage facilities in the United States and Europe. Consumers should check the interactive map online to determine their nearest location.

by Jessica Render ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Jessica Render is dedicated to providing well-researched, valuable content designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions they can feel confident making. She holds a degree in journalism from Oral Roberts University.

Public Storage Company Information