Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.03/5

Public Storage Reviews

Original review: April 8, 2020

Reserved a space and was offered $1 for the first month, When I moved in was told I do not qualify as my phone number was in the system becuse I was an alternate contact on a family members unit which was not in my name or charged to me. Then charged admin fees and for a lock I didnt need. Ended up paying over $250 for the first month.

Original review: April 8, 2020

I've had a account with Public Storage going on 4 years now and last year I switched it from my daughter's name into my name and there was an immediate pay hike for the same unit plus other fees telling me we're starting new. The old is erased. And in 2019 end of the year I moved to Tucson. They advertised 1.00 for the first month, that never happened. I had to buy one of their locks and some other things and I end up paying $64.00.

Now I have two accounts and I'm only able to log into one account, and every month everyone has these great ideas on what I should be doing and every month I do it and still end up having to walk the payment in. This month I had to mail the payment in and was charged $34.00 as the worker informed me it's a percentage for the size of the unit, is this company greedy or what? And don't forget we are under quarantine and I'm not working right now so mailing was necessary! They make billions of dollars and still try to overcharge!

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 7, 2020

I called about a refund to my account that was due upon move out on 04/07/2020. The women I spoke with was very impatient. She kept cutting me off to get her point across. I have more questions than answers about the rest of my refund. I’m just going to steer clear of this company moving forward. Public Storage cares about money more than customer satisfaction.

Original review: April 4, 2020

This place is awful. The regional manager Marina and the one above her Lisa ** are criminals. They allowed a unauthorized user to have my gate code. That person went in and stole over $8000 of furniture from my unit. Not only that, but there was rat poop alllllll over everything and rats eat through furniture at this property. They will do nothing to help you out after they have made a mistake. Lisa doesn't care about customers. She will hang up and be completely rude. Dora is the only employee who seems to show any remorse or care for customers. DO NOT USE THIS PLACE!! They will get your stuff stolen and highly damaged and DO NOTHING TO HELP!!

Original review: March 31, 2020

This is a public storage in Hialeah FL. To be exactly at: 6800 West 4 Ave. Hialeah Fl 33014. Only one person honest, with very professional customer service is **, VERY special person who care about us but can't do much. After a few years of being a loyal customer and paying always on time, not even one late fee, jumping from small to the biggest unit in the facility, was NO MERCY with me. One time the storage was infested with RATS. VERY BIG ONE, the place was like this for about 3 months, persons making complaints that NEVER was listened for any of the upper manager.

I spoke with ** who is the regional manager and after explained all the damage that I received on my property and asked him for any help, his answer was, "I can give you one time a discount on your monthly payment" and about the damages on my belongings he say make a police report, do a claim to the insurance that after made almost impossible due to millions paper and picture that I need to present, it wasn't worth to go to all off that to get only $250.00 only when the damage was more than $1500.00. I was very disappointed with this process because it wasn't my fault but that is the way it is say by **. THIS person ** is a very arrogant person. It is his way or the high way.

My rent was increased for more that $90.00 jumping from $282.00 to $379.00. Even when the same size off unit was on interned at $186.00 and you tried to get a better rate, the only explanation was that that rate $186.00 is for NEW CUSTOMER, for us that being paying with no missing payment for years and in this difficult time the only remedy was RELEASED, BECAUSE was NO MERCY. TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT. IF YOU ARE GOOD ,YOU WILL BE PUNISH. That regional manager SHOULD BE FIRE.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Public Storage?

Original review: March 24, 2020

I rent a unit from Public Storage, and their behavior is abhorrent during our COVID crises. Joe Russell, the CEO who SHOULD BE FIRED, sends out this laughable email about Public storage during this worldwide crises **. While other companies' CEOs are giving up salary, restricting executive pay, donating time, our lovely Joe Russell, CEO of NYSE: PSA is:

- Raising rates, suddenly by almost 40% just because (after only 5 months!).
          - Locking people out of storage: I have masks, cleaning supplies, and backup medication inside I need access to. I think at a minimum they should allow unit access while behind on payment while our state is in lockdown.
          - Charging obscene late fees as March 7 (40.00).
          - All the units are on central air and connected/open at the top and there is no mention of safety.

- Trying to sell People's storage assets if they fall behind for societal issues beyond their control like covid-19, lost jobs and businesses shuttered.

Write Joe and tell him what you think. joseph.russell@publicstorage.com

Original review: March 21, 2020

Public storage gave promotion like every other storage place. However, they increase my rental rate every year, which is expected, but by large %. After 2-3 years, my rate for a small unit went from $30 to over $70 per month. This is ridiculous as their web rate is still $32/mon. I called and they were willing to come down $5 which is peanut. Don't rent if you are thinking long term. It is not easy to move to another storage company thus Public Storage preys on this concept and keep increasing high % every year. I can accept some increase but PS is gouging people.

Original review: March 20, 2020

I chose Public Storage because they advertise 1 month free, so I call first to find out exactly how much is due at signing. I'm told 119 is all that is due at signing then your next month is free, now I'm at their facility with a loaded truck, now it's 119 plus insurance for 15 @ month plus admin fee plus $40 retroactive fee. It's 183, 64 $ more than I was told on the phone. Well now I'm stuck here. I have to get the truck unloaded then within 30 days I get a bill for the next month. I hate getting lied to, I wish I had read the reviews before, they prey on people who are going through hard times. DO NOT USE PUBLIC STORAGE. THEY ARE NOT TRUSTWORTHY. MY TRUE RATING IS -5 STAR.

Original review: March 12, 2020

This is the worst company anyone can ever turn to to store anything. I explain to the representative that my 12/14 year old kids was trapped inside with no phone or code to exit & she got upset with me for being upset. She hung up the phone in my face. I was able to talk to another representative that kept placing me on hold while I’m talking. No respect. No nothing. Just plain disrespectful. People live in the units here as well. It’s just a company that needs to be black listed.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

There are some pros and cons with Public Storage. If you know for sure that you are only going to need them for six months or less then they are ok, but not a place I would recommend for long term storage. I make this comment not just because they raise their rates every year, but find the company dangerous in the sense that they are erratic, and any dispute or confrontation is sufficient to motivate them to kick you out and cancel your contract.

In my case, I needed to update an expired credit card, but their website is out of order, and won't let me do this. As a result, I couldn't direct a payment from my credit card, nor do reestablish auto pay. I tried to contact their #800 number and their call center was a bit condescending. They refused multiple time to transfer me to the facility where the locker was located at, and insisted that they alone needed to help me. Finally they transferred me, and the manager at the Overlake facility in Newark, CA threatened me with various actions on what they would do if I didn't pay them.

At this point I requested contact information for their District manager who I was advised is Sean Fernandez. I spoke to Sean, and he accused me of verbally abusing his staff, and insulting him. That appeared to be the only thing he was willing to talk about, and threatened to cancel my contract. After some lengthy discussion, he emailed me a password reset even though I had not lost my password, and the password reset feature didn't work. I texted him a snapshot of what I saw on my screen, and he became verbally abusive, and said that I had insulted him and his staff. He then hung up on me, and I still don't have online access from the company. My observation of Public Storage is that anyone who doesn't agree with their views is insulting, and it isn't a place that instills trust with your family pictures, belongings, and valuables.

On the positive side, the public storage space that I rented is clean, no vermin, and there are people who run the front desk that appear to be reasonably competent, speak English well, but they run off a script, and won't deviate from it. They won't take a credit card over the phone, by text, and you can't pay with it if their automated system or website is down. I was told that they can only accept a payment in person, but there is no public storage facility where I was at, and that doesn't address the issue of the company fixing its website.

As a result, I directed my financial institution to immediately issue an electronic bill pay, and requested a credit on their late fee since this was their mistake. I questioned whether or not I should give them a higher star rating for those who only need a space a short time, and after some reflection believe that a clean safe place doesn't give them standing if the company itself is not sufficiently trustworthy. Tomorrow I am going to call corporate, but don't know what to expect. Some companies will clean house from the top down, but I don't know if this is that type of company. I have seen organizations where everyone bans together and protects each other instead of taking responsibility.

Public Storage author review by Jessica Render

Public Storage is a global self-storage provider offering facilities in the United States and Europe. Along with self-storage they can accommodate business storage needs and vehicle storage needs.

• Unit sizes: Public Storage offers unit sizes ranging from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 25 feet. The smallest unit can hold the contents of a small room or a large closet, while the largest unit can hold the contents of a 250-square foot business space or up to six rooms. Vehicle storage spaces range from uncovered to enclosed for cars and large spaces for RVs and boats.

• Moving supplies: If you are in need of moving and packing supplies, Public Storage offers boxes, packing supplies, tape and specific moving kits for purchase. They provide free shipping on orders of $75 or more.

• Business storage: Public Storage offers various businesses tips and ways to use storage to make operations more convenient. Real estate, office, construction and retail businesses have easy access to units for daily or seasonal needs.

• Discounts: Consumers can go online for discounts and specials such as $1 first month rent on selected units for new customers and 15 percent off monthly rent.

• Service areas: Thanks to the acquisition of Shurgard Self-Storage, Public Storage has self-storage facilities in the United States and Europe. Consumers should check the interactive map online to determine their nearest location.

• Best for: Consumers with personal or business self-storage needs, both domestic and abroad.

by Jessica Render ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Jessica Render is dedicated to providing well-researched, valuable content designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions they can feel confident making. She holds a degree in journalism from Oral Roberts University.

Public Storage Company Information