Public Storage

Compare Self Storage and Portable Storage Companies

Research top Self Storage and Portable Storage Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have used this facility in Rochester, NY for almost 2 years and each year they go up on the rent but the service is lacking. The problem I have is when I began renting at this location they offered a secured facility where in order to get inside you needed to put in a code to open the gate. Here is the problem, the gate has not worked since about a month after I signed my contract. At first, I thought it was temporary and since I hardly ever needed to go there I never noticed. Lately, I have had cause to drive that way and began noticing that the gate is left wide open all night. Not only is this a problem for my belongings, it is also a safety issue, anyone can walk or drive in there and break open the locks and take my belongings, not to mention someone can hide in those units because they are not locked either.

So, I called the corporate office who told me to contact the local office. I did this and was basically told they rent spaces and the security of the gate had nothing to do with my rental cost. They added that they had gotten some estimates, after 2 years, but didn't know how soon the gate would be fixed. I was given the number of the district manager to call, I left him messages and he never took the time to call and respond to my grievances. As a company which provides a service he at least owed me the courtesy of a return call. To date, I still have not heard back from him.

It's easy to say if you are not happy with them just leave but leaving means having to pay additional money for a truck, finding someone to help you move and my time. Just fix the gate, you owe that to your customers and while you are at it, secure the doors leading into the units and put stoppers on the doors so we don't have to find something to hold the door while moving things in or out of the unit.

We rented a unit about 6 months ago. Only one light was working in the unit. Property manager was notified. Fast forward 6 months, our rent goes up $30/month AND now all lights in the unit are out. We had to get on a ladder and change out a set of bulbs ourselves to see. The other fixture was broken. Property manager AND Corporate Customer Service was notified. Customer service rep basically said too bad about rent and he would contact property manager about light issue. So we are paying more for our unit plus doing some maintenance.

This company does not care about their customers. I will be sure to tell everyone I know about the horrible experience I had with this company. They absolutely do not care. Your stuff is in their facility and they "have you". We only have a few more months until our new home is finished and we will no longer need the unit. I don't think I could go through finding another unit and move my entire household again that is why I am sucking it up. I wanted everyone else to know what a horrible company this is and if there are other options for you, use them. I think anything would be better than this.

Public storage in Auburn Washington is also horrible. First my family lost stuff due to a fire and water damage and only given 1 day to remove our stuff and also move what we could salvage to another unit and then that other unit I just found out was infested by rodents. My stuff was safe (no food) and not a problem with infestation the whole 5 years I had it in the previous unit, but the outdoor ones are infested and was told by other people down the same aisle as me that they were moving out and lost their stuff for same reason when I was there today.

Storage didn't let us know they knew about the problem to ask us to come check our stuff or anything. Rats had all winter to nest in there. They also will not help with removal of my items or help me by getting us a dumpster so we can toss our stuff. I am disabled and have no help or real physical ability to safely take care of my items now. They could at least help with removing my items since I've payed them to pretty much let all of my stuff go to hell anyway. Storing your stuff at Public Storage is about as good as just leaving your stuff at the side of the road.

You may as well just take all your stuff to the public dump and get it over with sooner and with paying less money. I actually care less about compensation for my stuff than I do with needing the help to safely remove and dispose of my items now that they are trashed anyway. BTW, even if your policy says it will cover fire, water damage, they will not cover it if caused by another resident (IE: someone smoking while on property) and Public Storage will not take any responsibility if it's not electrical damage by faulty wires. They also will not consider case by case basis to let you use their dumpsters in cases where it is totally their fault the infestations are not controlled.

Watch out for up-charge gimmick! I received an email that said my total move-in charge would be $73. When I go to move in, I am told that I have to buy their lock for $19.99 (mandatory). I am also told that I have to buy their mandatory insurance for $15 per month. I am also told that I must pay a "one time" Administrative Fee of $24... then, to top it all off, I ask if I have to worry about rodents chewing up my stuff, and the manager acts like that was the dumbest question she ever heard. "It's Florida and your stuff is stored in an outdoor metal shed... what do you think?"

So, the following day, I call corporate and ask if I can be moved to a climate controlled unit that will be rodent free (my stuff is worth $4,000). His response was that I could, but I would not get credit for the $107 that I paid for the first unit, and I would owe them an additional $170 for a smaller unit. I think this company is the worst rip-off outfit I have ever dealt with. Think about it before you give them your hard-earned money!

The Public Storage located at 1062 St. Johns Place in Crown Heights Brooklyn, is the worst! For starters, their staff is very rude. On Friday, April 21, 2017, at 12:33 pm, my mother wanted to use the restroom before we went to our storage space. A staff member stormed passed us with an attitude as we attempt to ask her about using the bathroom. I said, “Hello,” she never respond and slammed the bathroom door in my mother's face. Secondly, the storage area lacks ventilation, lighting, air conditioning in the summer and heat in the winter and they have a rodent problem. Thirdly, my mother complains that she dreads going in to pay her bill because they always have an attitude so now, she pays her bill online.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Public Storage?

I had recently lost my job and my payments became accrued over time, next thing I know have to pay $1700 just to get my stuff out! I'm so upset that I will lose everything. I spoke with the Property Manager and she told me, "you can make partial payments". I said, "even if I do that I will never catch up". My auction date is 6/20/17. I still am unemployed till this day. I'm trying not to worry too much because I suffer from mental illness. I have been working at bars just to make ends meet. But they don't care. I will never go to Public Storage again! :(

Consumer Increased Rating!

Corporate from Public Storage called on 4/20/2017 to resolve my issues and we work them out. Thank You.

Mary of Charlotte, NC on

Original Review

Before I got the storage I called and ask if there were any other charges beside the $1 and $24.00 Administration fee for the first month rent. Was told no. Was not told about the prorate of $76.00 after that. What I did know is that I would pay $190.00 after the first month March 20th-April 19 and on the 19th I would pay the $190.00 which would take to May 19th. When went in the storage talk to Nichol, She handed me the papers. I proceeded to read them and Nichol said that is what she was going to tell me about. What was in the papers and she never said anything about the prorate charge for April 20th-30th. Then you pay again on May 1. Please be very careful this company is very deceitful. Ask plenty of question before renting.

Rented unit from 2300 Purdue Ave in W Los Angeles for three years and recently had a water leak, mold and rat dropping issue. The manager ** did not help with situation and was very defensive leading me to believe they have other leaks. She did not offer anything like boxes, new unit and kept saying it was not their problem. After waiting three hours to get another unit because computers were down and she did not want to deal with the issue and helped other people while I just stood and waited. Asked to speak with her supervisor and she called him leaving a message. He never responded back. I called and left several messages for the district manager for a week and still waiting.

I moved my stuff into a dry unit for a few days while a went through my items and there was a break-in on the first floor. The tenant asked ** if there were other units broken into and what about the security cameras and she would not answer the question getting real defensive. We looked at other units and they looked like they were broken into because they had new locks on them like the tenant's unit would. Then on top of $10,000 in water damage to my belongings that they will not address and won't return phone calls, they charged me $130.00 for the unit I had to move into for three days because of the water leak in my old unit. The building is in disrepair and they will not respond and return phone calls.

Disappointed about the unexpected rate increase to monthly bill. Convenience & location is ideal for local homeowners. This facility (Hopewell Road, Louisville, KY) was originally built & constructed by a local privately owned company and has since been bought out by Public Storage. You can certainly tell the difference in the way the two entities conduct business. I wish the original company stilled owned the property. They were focused more on the customer as opposed to the stock price/investor.

I was give an auction date for my storage unit # **, of 3-3-17. Because of a misplacement of funds they changed my auction date to 3-22-17. I was then told my auction was changed to 3-24-17. On March 16th I sent a text to 3 people asking for a loan so my storage would not go into auction without my paying it off. I then went in to the Irvine Public Storage Store at 1:45 pm and made a payment for $40.00, rent payment receipt # **, and the representative told me my auction was changed to 4-4-17. I wrote at the top of the receipt, Auction April 4th. I was so relieved. My hours were cut back at work and I was only getting a base but wasn't reaching commission. I took on another job to try to come up with the money to pay my bill, finishing work exhausted most days, trying to call the storage unit as much as I could.

After leaving the Irvine Public Storage Store I texted all my friends and relatives telling them they were extending my auction date to April 4th and that I did not need a loan. After working several days in a row I finally had a direct deposit of close to $400 dollars. The direct deposit didn't go through on Thursday, March 23rd like I had hoped. I waited all Friday morning, calling the bank every hour or half an hour until 9 am or so. I finally left the ATM and was called into work. Finally at 3 pm or so the direct deposit went through. I quickly took a break from work and went in to the Irvine public Storage Store to pay my bill in full. The representative looked up my account in the computer and told me that my storage unit had been auctioned off at 11 am that day. I was shocked and began calling managers and district managers leaving message after message, with no return calls.

I did talk to Brian. He said he would not do anything. Customer Service said they would call me in 24 to 48 hours, they never called. Several customer service representatives would not give their id numbers either. How do you get documented proof of who I spoke to? After the auction I was told that my only hope was to talk to the auctioneer. I told clerk after clerk that I was willing to borrow the money from my new employer to pay them for my personal belongings. I would even be willing to give them anything of value. I was promised a call, no one called me. Saturday March 25th I went over to the storage unit to stand in front on my storage unit so they would not take it. Angelia approached me about 11 am to say that I had to leave the storage facility or they would call the police. I left the facility, I did not want to be arrested.

I sat in my car and called all the managers and district managers, they did not answer or call me back. I then went into the store to plead with the clerk to have them tell the auctioneer I would give them $500 dollars or more for all my personal belongings back. I was told I would get a call from Angelia before 5 to tell me what the auctioneer said, no one called me. I want to sue Public Storage for giving me misinformation about my auction date, not returning my calls and for auctioning off all my personal belongings before I could make my payment. I want my personal belongings back.

This is the worst storage loansharking facility around. Stay away from them. Rates start off as affordable and goes up yearly. I leased a 5x10 unit for $141.00. Now recently they send me a veteran another increase for another jacked up price of $175.00. My clothes and items have not moved and I have been there after storing my belongings 2 times since. Please avoid Public Storage at 800 River St Hyde Park Mass. 02132. I have a certified mail into their corporate headquarters as a complaint. Once I receive a answer from them that is fair, we shall as vets of the VFW post shall picket this location or I will leave my clothes there until I get them out and either donate them. They should be renamed loanshark storage.

We got out the stuff delivered but delivery was very poor. Only one person came for the delivery. It was taking ages for him to get the stuffs moved into the apartment. We had move some stuffs to our apartment on our own. The only person came for delivery did not have sufficient tools to assemble tables and mattress bed stand. Also I had to pay 25 $ more at the time of delivery which is not mentioned in the bill at all. Few damaged items too. Too costly as well. Initial quote was 2300$ so that I won't move to other movers and packers. The day before the pickup and gave another estimate to 4000$ and at the time of pick up ended up with 4600$.

I rented out a storage unit at Public Storage in Aston PA. Me and my family's belongings were placed in there with no damage to anything. We are homeless so we had to get this unit. So every bit of our belongings are there. I never missed a payment and was never late. Back in October 2016 a hurricane came through and the heavy rain caved in the roof of the last three units in that row. Which happened to be my unit. I only got notified from going there and my unit neighbor told me to check my stuff. While going through our stuff some belongings did get damaged. So I went to the property manager to let her know that my stuff got damaged with black mold.

She informed me and my friends that she knew this was going to happen because she told the district manager Matt ** and his boss Seth that the roof should be fixed before anyone moving in. So she told me how to fill out the insurance information. By that time our stuff had to be moved but they didn't have any other units available then. One came available almost a week later. But I informed them that I couldn't afford to buy a truck to move my stuff because I'm on a budget since I'm homeless. So months went by. A couple of weeks before Christmas Matt ** said that he buy movers to move me into the new unit. Then I waited and haven't heard anything back from him or Seth until the middle of January that they weren't hiring movers and that I had to pay for a moldy storage unit and find a way to move my own belongings.

I have tried reaching out to different lawyer and public adjusters. And no one would help me knowing my stuff was moved into a unit knowing had a potential of being damaged if heavy rain occurred under the management knowledge. I spoke to them and they continuously said they have no recollection of the damaged unit now before my stuff went in. I recently spoke to Matt to try and get what isn't damaged out the unit. But I'm not sure if anything is worth saving and it's now almost April 2017 and the mold has been in there since October 2016. I'm worried that mold might be toxic now and dangerous for anyone to have anything in there. Can I anyone tell me what can be done help save anyone else's belongings.

I am renting with Public Storage in Ft Worth, Texas at 8400 Camp Bowie. I started off paying $80 for a 10x10. All the sudden, I'm paying $120. I'm also Military (National Guard). They told me since I was military, that I would not rack up late fees or "other" charges. Well, there was a couple times I was late and had to pay almost $300 for one month. I asked them about the military thing and sent my orders. They replied that that was only for active duty, which is not specified in the contract. At one point my lock was cut because of such lack of communication and irresponsible management. And of course my being late with my initial payment due to living out of state and being busy with work and military.

I go to Texas to put a new lock on my unit and **, the location manager told me I needed one of their locks. I told her I would be getting my stuff next week and this lock was going on my unit because I refuse to let them rip me off anymore. She argued with me for about 3 minutes and finally let me go. Fast forward to the next week, March 29th 2017. My nephews and I take a U-haul and a pickup to the location to pick up my belongings. We go in, so obviously the access code worked. As we are loading up the truck, I asked one of my nephews to take an unwanted chair to the dumpster on site. He did.

A few minutes later, Amy comes to where we were and told us we could not leave the chair there. I asked why there was a dumpster if we couldn't use it. She said it was private property for people who live on site. (Her tone of voice and demeanor were very rude.) I told her fine that we would grab it. She walked away talking under her breath.

We finished up and started to leave. We get to the gate, my nephew punches in the code and the gate does not open. He tries again... Nothing. He tried for a 3rd time and again, nothing. He looked at me with a confused look, so I get out of the U-haul and walk into the office. There was a man standing in there visiting with her. She looks at me and smiles real big and said "can I help you"? I said "Ummm ma'am, we can't get out". She said "right. Well that chair needs to go." I told her that my truck was full and we would come back and get it. She said it needed to go now. I told her to open the gate. She again stated that the chair needed to go. I raised my voice and told her I was going to call the police and tell them she was holding us against our will if she didn't open the gate. She told me not to yell at her. I finally screamed at her to "OPEN THE ** GATE". She finally did. She had went into the computer and denied my code so we could not leave.

As soon as we left, I called and filed a complaint. The lady I spoke with was nice, but told me I would be hearing from corporate. Later on that day, I received a call from Sara from corporate. I had spoke with her before about some other things. She said "I'm sorry you felt trapped"... I said "ma'am WE WERE TRAPPED." And she proceeded to tell me that we shouldn't have left until we got that chair. She kept talking and would not let me get a word in. 3 times I tried talking and she kept talking over me. I had her on speaker so my sister could hear. My sister finally had enough and hung my phone up on her.

With all the money I paid into them, I don't appreciate being held against my will. I don't appreciate the kind of business they do. I don't appreciate being treated like I was treated. I don't appreciate being taken advantage of. And I don't appreciate being gouged with prices that are beyond ridiculous. These people are crooks. I have contacted the police. I am not done getting the word out about these crooks. I am beyond disgusted to say the least.

Antioch, CA is not known for much niceties, however, the public storage in that city is an exception! The level of wonderful customer service and the value/level of security is outstanding!

This had to be the worse experience, customer service was the worse. I had put my checking account number in wrong and they charged me bank fees that the bank never charged them. I don't mind paying but all the charges they have you pay and make you think you are only getting charged a dollar. Well my son never put a lock on his unit and never moved in but got charged $36.00. Plus one month plus two bank fees. Instead of not losing a customer they rather make money on made up charges.

I like the convenience of Public Storage. I do however feel as if the pricing of storage units is very high. It's also very hard to change from unit to unit when you need a smaller/bigger unit. This then causes one to either change storage companies entirely or have more than one unit in different places at the same time. I understand they may not have the room to build on more storage units and that most of them are franchises but I would like to see them work together as sister companies in order to better help their customers.

I have rented units from this company twice. They bait you in with the $1 rent fee for a month, then a couple months later raise your rental fee. So, you don't really get a $1 fee because they get that money back from raising your rent. Also, many customers do business and pay their bills online and their website is not working half the time. It's really sad what's going on in America. These companies prey on the less fortunate to make themselves richer. I pray that you not harden your heart and allow God in to make the necessary changes.

Ok, so I have been a customer for over a year and a half. I went in to tell them I'm moving out but they still wanted the full month's rent even though my stuff wasn't going to be in there! Also they are never there. They're always on breaks making things a inconvenience to you! My overall opinion is find somewhere who appreciates your business. I was a loyal customer paying 250 a month. You would think they would try to keep a good relationship with you but they don't care so go anywhere else but PUBLIC STORAGE.

They don't send out invoices (maybe I have to set something up in email), but they have no problem in charging you a late fee - and then they send the late fee notice via email. I think this is a class action lawsuit waiting to be filed.

My family & I were moving but our new home wasn't ready so we rented from Public Storage on Farnsworth Ave in Aurora, & that was the worst mistake OF MY LIFE!!! They are con artists, liars, thieves & heartless cold people!! I was late on December 2016's rent & when I called at the end of Dec to make my payment & bring my account up to date they told me there was no need because they had already auctioned off my unit with no kind of notice (no call, no voicemail, no email & no written letter in the mail either) which had more than $35,000 worth of stuff in it & not to mention all 5 of my kids pics from birth til now, s.s. cards, birth certificates, baby books, & EVERYTHING FROM MY CHILDHOOD AS WELL!! I called and called, & sent emails as well with no one getting back to me when all I want returned to me are those priceless irreplaceable memories back!

Yesterday, much to my surprise, I get a letter from a collection agency saying that I need to pay! I disputed the collection and turned around & called Public Storage. They told me they only got $54 for my unit and that I would have to pay $499 to be removed from collections!! They are lying their scamming little asses off!! there is absolutely no way on God's green freaking earth that they only got $54 for a unit that had WELL OVER $35,000 worth of stuff in it!!

I'm not done with this by far and now even if they do decide to give me the purchaser 's info I still have no chance of getting ANYTHING back because I'm positive they have already thrown everything of value to me in the trash!!! One thing I do know is that if my kids' identities are stolen then Public Storage will pay the price!! I am a very disgruntled customer who will stop at nothing to get my memories back and to make sure I get the word out to anyone & everyone to stay the ** away from Public Storage & their extremely ** business!!

I have been making partial payments on my storage unit. Unfortunately, Public Storage, decided to sell my things Monday. I call and talk to the manager and district manager to see if I can retrieve my things, still waiting. How could they be so heartless, everything I owned was in storage. I have nothing now. I would like to have my things back. Why all of a sudden they been accepting partial payments, now they sold my possession for $5.00 dollars.

We rent a unit in Island Park, NY. It's a surprisingly quiet location considering the nearby train. My fiance has seizures, and her dad kicks us out of the house every single time she has one. So we figured it would be OK to start hanging out behind the storage unit building while she recovered. We're paying $100 to these people, after all, and it's not like we're living there. We'd just park for two or three hours every few days and watch a movie or read while my fiance huddled under a blanket and waited for the spasms and disorientation to pass.

We do this for over two months, and it doesn't appear to be a problem. In fact, when I first rented the unit, I specifically said we might be hanging out there, and the woman just chuckled. She didn't say anything about us not being allowed to do that. So you can imagine my surprise when one of the men came and knocked on our window and just laid into us for "You can't be sitting here for hours; you can't be sleeping here" and "This isn't your personal bathroom" and "We've talked to you before about leaving food trash in the trash." They hadn't, by the way. But when I told him no one talked to me about it, he just said, "Well, she said she did." And then went on to tell me that he would "give me the benefit of the doubt" about a pizza box I'd left because he "couldn't prove" it was me.

So yeah. They'll tolerate people storing fuel near my unit (I could smell it; it was really strong) and they'll tolerate, not one, but two homeless families living on the third floor. But my fiance and I get an incredibly hostile lecture for five minutes because we sat quietly and occasionally used the bathroom. I kept saying sorry and it wouldn't happen again, but he would not let us leave. And I mean that seriously. He was standing too close the car; I'd have hit him if I tried to pull out. So I had to just sit there while he bitched at me for five minutes. That was a month ago now, and I've honestly been scared to go retrieve our stuff so we can move to a better facility. I'm worried they'll just straight up call the cops if they see us again.

We rent a unit in North Charleston on Dorchester road 29406. After paying late charges and making our account current, we get there to find out our lock had been cut. Oh, that's fine, but now we can't even move our things out without purchasing a lock. This policy makes no sense to me. We were speaking with a pleasant, slightly older woman in the house and she was trying to make us understand the process. The younger lady, a little heavy set, frizzy hair (in case you go here) gets off her phone call (business) and brings the attitude. "I'm not going to lose my job" as if anyone asked her to risk her life to allow us access to the storage we are paying for.

I'm hoping there is some type of deduction for days that your storage is paid but your denies entry to move out. Customer service in these places suck. Why be so defensive? I felt like if I would've said too much that I would have to fight the woman behind the counter and I wasn't in the mood today. That cut and dry, "I don't give a care" about your attitude in a service position is totally uncalled for and unprofessional. I myself have been a manager in the service industry for years so I practice what I preach. I'm upset I didn't get her name, but her job is too good for her. I plan to call and file a complaint as well.

I had to move out abruptly after 15 months of storage. This is specifically about the Public Storage at 3611 W Washington Blvd., Los Angeles, 90018. I truly hope this is not the way Public Storage normally does business as a whole. I do not like it when people drone on and on about bad experiences in reviews so I just want to give you the straight forward information and you can decide for yourself. I have posted pictures with captions to explain each.

On January 9, 2017, I went to my storage unit for the first time since September 2016 and discovered that my unit and about 5 to 6 others were broken into by a person that was living in one of the units at this location. The wire mesh they use on the tops of the units had been ripped away allowing the person to climb in and take whatever he wanted. This was told to me by **, the front desk clerk, and when I asked her why I was not notified, she said "we did not want to cause panic". ** is a nice girl and I am not writing to disparage her; however, them not notifying the tenants lead to me paying for a unit for 4 solid months that had been vandalized.

I contacted the district manager, asking for a refund from October through January, and he told me "you can't prove it happened in October". I was a bit stunned because even if it didn't happen in October when they admit many units were broken into, I would think they would have had some clue as to when it happened because they are supposed to perform security walks and check the tops of the units routinely (something else ** had said). He then said he would call me back, but did not. I then contacted the regional manager. I explained the situation to her, and told her that I wanted a refund from October through January, to which she gave me the runaround citing contractual agreements that she believed took all responsibility off of Public Storage. The most they offered was to give me a refund for January in return for me signing a release not to take them to court. It was a terrible offer to which I declined.

This whole situation occurred due to negligence allowing someone to live in a unit and be locked in at night with freedom to roam and break in to any unit they liked. Public Storage has cut feeds to most of the cameras with vantage points that view any of the units at this location, which you can see on a flat screen in the office, they have cut the security sensors on all the doors of the units, and do not fulfill any obligation to do minimal checks to be aware of break ins.

Even after I became aware of the break in, it was 2 solid weeks and me having to reach the regional manager before they "repaired" the top of my unit even though ** said they would reach me to have it done when I asked on January 9th. They didn't secure the unit at all, and it was still pretty much open after they did their "work" on it. Like I said, I have told you the facts. This place doesn't want anyone to know that this happened for obvious reasons. I would have also reviewed it with about 4 stars had I not been aware of this secret they are keeping. I, unfortunately, had to move my things out quickly after 15 months of storage with Public Storage.

Awful service, rude associates. No idea about the services they offer. I went to the Public Storage on Australian Ave in West Palm Beach to rent a Storage space. The two ladies who were sitting behind the counter doing nothing rudely told me I needed an appointment to rent a storage space. I was like "you're kidding right". They both respond no and again stated I needed an appointment, which I later found out was a complete lie. Well needless to say, I called them out on their lie and demanded to rent a space. At that time they did rent me the space I needed. But to keep up with the rudeness, the space she rented me was all the way towards the back of the property and I was not offer to be taken in the complimentary golf cart. These ladies should be fired! They completely lied to me to keep from working and doing their jobs which is simply renting Storage space units!

I have two units at two separate Public Storage facilities near me. And oh, for those of you reading -- Public Storage can't MAKE you buy their insurance, nor is it legal for them to force you to buy it, intimidate you to buy it, or anything else they try. Be polite, but firm and even ask them to call their district manager right there. They might, or might not, but it's just a scam to get more money out of you. If you read the form, it says ELECTIVE all through it. Just write the word DECLINED in big letters diagonally across the form and sign it. And always bring your own locks. I don't trust their box of locks. They charge $25 per lock; you can buy the same type lock at Home Depot, Lowe's for $15; Ace Hardware charges a little more. They can't make you buy their locks either. If they want to see it, tell them it's in the car or better yet, you'll bring it when you put items in before they close. I believe they have a master key to all of their locks.

One place I went in handed them a check for November 2016 payment, they gave a receipt. I had put 2 locks on that unit; one like theirs and another that wasn't even securing anything. As of 16 November, they had cut both of my locks off threatening lien auction/sale. I get restricting access to my unit, but not cutting the locks off. This has been going on since January 18, 2017 when I finally made a formal complaint to my state Attorney's General's office for that office's refusal to send me an itemized list of all payments and charges I asked for twice; the check has not cleared -- I believe they shredded it, and unfortunately I'm still looking for that lost receipt. The regional manager is useless. I have paid all the fees and am actually paid up on that unit until mid March 2017 -- but they still have their locks on a paid unit for over 30 days now. That is illegal and wrongful action.

I anticipate finding that receipt soon and will also write a letter to their corporate office providing all evidence and pictures I've taken each Saturday proving I'm still locked out of my unit. While I wait on the reply and next action step from the attorney general's office, I will institute my legal & rightful own steps. I've even caught one of their employee's spying on me while I was sorting the other unit. Really. The end result -- they will be reimbursing me $50 for the two locks they illegally cut off + all penalties + any other fee deem appropriate. Time to go over and take my Saturday picture of my unit -- paid in advance for 2+ months that they have denied me access to for over 1 month now.

I was purchasing a new house and thought I was going to have to be out of our old house before new house was ready so rented a storage unit from Public Storage. Well $1 move in was a lie because it was $57. I was told that if I didn't need it just call back up there before the 30 days monthly cycle meaning, 30 days from the move in and that's when you monthly rental starts or I would have to pay the next months which was going to be $239. We'll call up there two weeks later and now I owed $239 because it moved into the next month. They are going to tell you what you want to hear to suck you in.

NEVER USE THIS COMPANY - no matter how much advertising crap they do to make themselves look reputable. I've had other storage companies for years with never a problem and never a raise in rent. These people NEVER TELL YOU at contract signing that it's even a possibility that you might experience a rental increase. My rent was increased 30% after not even 6 months. No notice, no email, no phone call. They said they "mailed a letter" but who on earth checks snail mail??? Furthermore, it probably looked like junk mail because I never got it. Had I been informed at contract signing, I would have selected another storage facility - I would not risk a raised rent knowing I was moving 3K miles away.

And when they do raise the rent, you are held hostage because now you have to hire a mover to move your things -- and most people can't afford that. I know I am now left scrambling. I happen to be 3000 miles away from my stuff -- so I'm sick over this. I'm contacting a lawyer. This is UNCONSCIONABLE and UNSAVORY business practices. No other storage company raises the rent -- what you rent is what you pay. DISGUSTING. This is my first and last time using this company.

Got a call from Tom in San Antonio, Tx verbally threatening me my unit was still up for Auction, even though I was only 11 days behind... I told him my kids pictures were in there. Tom was rude and didn't care... After paying Outrageous fees, I am paid up but this is a Horrible place to do business with. High cost and uses verbal threats. Unprofessional.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Public Storage is a global self-storage provider offering facilities in the United States and Europe. Along with self-storage they can accommodate business storage needs and vehicle storage needs.

• Unit sizes: Public Storage offers unit sizes ranging from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 25 feet. The smallest unit can hold the contents of a small room or a large closet, while the largest unit can hold the contents of a 250-square foot business space or up to six rooms. Vehicle storage spaces range from uncovered to enclosed for cars and large spaces for RVs and boats.
  • Moving supplies: If you are in need of moving and packing supplies, Public Storage offers boxes, packing supplies, tape and specific moving kits for purchase. They provide free shipping on orders of $75 or more.
  • Business storage: Public Storage offers various businesses tips and ways to use storage to make operations more convenient. Real estate, office, construction and retail businesses have easy access to units for daily or seasonal needs.
  • Discounts: Consumers can go online for discounts and specials such as $1 first month rent on selected units for new customers and 15 percent off monthly rent.
  • Service areas: Thanks to the acquisition of Shurgard Self-Storage, Public Storage has self-storage facilities in the United States and Europe. Consumers should check the interactive map online to determine their nearest location.
  • Best for Consumers with personal or business self-storage needs, both domestic and abroad.

Compare Self Storage and Portable Storage Companies