Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.05/5

Public Storage Reviews

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

There are some pros and cons with Public Storage. If you know for sure that you are only going to need them for six months or less then they are ok, but not a place I would recommend for long term storage. I make this comment not just because they raise their rates every year, but find the company dangerous in the sense that they are erratic, and any dispute or confrontation is sufficient to motivate them to kick you out and cancel your contract.

In my case, I needed to update an expired credit card, but their website is out of order, and won't let me do this. As a result, I couldn't direct a payment from my credit card, nor do reestablish auto pay. I tried to contact their #800 number and their call center was a bit condescending. They refused multiple time to transfer me to the facility where the locker was located at, and insisted that they alone needed to help me. Finally they transferred me, and the manager at the Overlake facility in Newark, CA threatened me with various actions on what they would do if I didn't pay them.

At this point I requested contact information for their District manager who I was advised is Sean Fernandez. I spoke to Sean, and he accused me of verbally abusing his staff, and insulting him. That appeared to be the only thing he was willing to talk about, and threatened to cancel my contract. After some lengthy discussion, he emailed me a password reset even though I had not lost my password, and the password reset feature didn't work. I texted him a snapshot of what I saw on my screen, and he became verbally abusive, and said that I had insulted him and his staff. He then hung up on me, and I still don't have online access from the company. My observation of Public Storage is that anyone who doesn't agree with their views is insulting, and it isn't a place that instills trust with your family pictures, belongings, and valuables.

On the positive side, the public storage space that I rented is clean, no vermin, and there are people who run the front desk that appear to be reasonably competent, speak English well, but they run off a script, and won't deviate from it. They won't take a credit card over the phone, by text, and you can't pay with it if their automated system or website is down. I was told that they can only accept a payment in person, but there is no public storage facility where I was at, and that doesn't address the issue of the company fixing its website.

As a result, I directed my financial institution to immediately issue an electronic bill pay, and requested a credit on their late fee since this was their mistake. I questioned whether or not I should give them a higher star rating for those who only need a space a short time, and after some reflection believe that a clean safe place doesn't give them standing if the company itself is not sufficiently trustworthy. Tomorrow I am going to call corporate, but don't know what to expect. Some companies will clean house from the top down, but I don't know if this is that type of company. I have seen organizations where everyone bans together and protects each other instead of taking responsibility.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

6 months in they raised fees by $43 per month. I moved my vehicle into a storage unit in September at the Ann Arbor facility and they raised the rent $43 per month in January. I will never use them again, if you are looking to store somewhere, go somewhere else. I wish I would have read their reviews.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

Rented 2 lockers starting September 2019. At the end of December they raised the rates 25%. I had prepaid for January 2020, but when they did this I decided to vacate 1 prepaid locker before the end of December 2019. I vacated and lived up to the lease and cleaned the locker out. PS was supposed to issue me a refund of 123.00 which they claim they did....Here it is Feb. 2, 2020 and still no refund. I called their call center and was treated very rudely. Their call center said I had to call the Tucson supervisor. They gave me a number to call. So I did. No call back. FRAUD ALERT....do not do business with these people. The BBB does not accredit them. Wish I had seen this sooner. I will be shutting down my other garage ASAP.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

They are scammers! The day before they auction my unit I talked to Tammy. She told me to make my payment before midnight! I attempted several times and couldn't! Next day I talked to Donna and explained how I couldn't make my payment online. I asked to speak to their dm which she informed me he would be in at 11am. I tried calling several times and no response! They auction my items! I called the next day and Tammy had the nerves to say sometimes it's best to start over! I immediately got furiously mad for her selfish comment!! STAY AWAY! STAY AWAY! STAY! AWAY. STAY AWAY!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

Every year they raise rates for old customers, with explanation that "corporate makes these decisions based on availability of units". That's completely false, since they have the same advertised rate on their website now that I got when I first moved in. Now they're trying to raise the prices for 3rd time? Do I really have to get a new unit with new rate just to move to a unit NEXT to mine for the old price? I guess they don't want me to rent with them...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Public Storage?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

After 6 months of business storage, I was finally able to get a parking space outside. Then my next bill, the dry unit went from 150 per month to 191 per month. I paid the bill thinking it was my “new total” bill for both spots. Got a call today that I didn’t pay my total bill. That was the rate increase for the first unit. And I had a 20 dollar late fee. Whatever. Apparently there is no commitment that is honorable. If they need extra money, they just charge you.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

Kim is a GREAT manager, but the Public Storage HQ has serious issues. I have only been storing at this location for about 7 months, never missed a payment. My payment was $63 a month, on 12/26/2019 HQ informed me that it was being raised to $83 a month! WHAT! A $20 increase? In what world is this right? Kim went to work and had it lower to $73 a month. I paid as scheduled, for the month of January on 12/26/2019 online for the full amount $63. Today, I get an email stating I was $10 short and have a $20 late fee! I have all the email, and my payment information and HQ still told me I owe. Now $30 dollars is not a lot of money, but I have issues with thief’s, and HQ is attempting a technical mugging! I had already canceled my space last year! What am I missing?

"Thu 12/26/2019 1:28 PM - We're Adjusting Our Pricing On February 1st - Hi Kenneth, Thank you for being a valued Public Storage customer. We want to let you know of an upcoming change on your account. The following rate goes into effect on 02/01/2020. - New Rent: $83.00." But they are charging me for January 1st? Beware - if you use Public Storage WATCH YOUR BILL!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

Please don't even waste your time or your breath. Anyone doing business with this company is surely going to suffer. I reserved a unit and had a phone interview and could not even get an answer to my question about PAST price increases, because of course they "cannot predict the future due to supply and demand changes". Business Location: 9890 Pacific Heights Blvd, San Diego, CA 92121. Also: "I don't even have that information, that is corporate policy." And no, I cannot speak to anyone "at corporate" because "I am the Proprty Manager and I am the only one you can speak to. I don't even know how to reach anyone at corporate." I am so grateful for this website and others like it, that help to save others from becoming victims of greed and deceit.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I canceled my storage unit today, the first day the office was open after I was able to empty it. They told me upon move-out that they do not prorate or do partial refunds, yet I moved in on 7/27/2019 and they had no problem prorating the rent to charge me, even though it was supposedly $1 the first month. All they could tell me at the physical location was "it's month to month and not daily and therefore no refund is given unless you move out before the 1st of the next month for billing." They also do not publish their policies on their website,and do not clarify their refund policies. This is definitely a buyer beware situation and you should thoroughly research before agreeing to any rental terms.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

Please stay away.... All the reviews are 100% true!! I had this storage unit for 2 years, my husband was killed 1 1/2 year ago now, the rent was raised 2 times & seriously they charge insurance. I was going through & cleaning everything out... This was my last thing, long story short I finally got to this unit cleaned it out, had a few people picking up things on January 1st, got it all cleaned out (now mind you they were closed). I got a call today telling me I owe $179 for January’s rent & they will not prorate it for 12 hours!! STAY AWAY!!

Let us do the heavy lifting!

Take our two minute quiz to find the right moving company for you.

Public Storage expert review by Jessica Render

Public Storage is a global self-storage provider offering facilities in the United States and Europe. Along with self-storage they can accommodate business storage needs and vehicle storage needs.

• Unit sizes: Public Storage offers unit sizes ranging from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 25 feet. The smallest unit can hold the contents of a small room or a large closet, while the largest unit can hold the contents of a 250-square foot business space or up to six rooms. Vehicle storage spaces range from uncovered to enclosed for cars and large spaces for RVs and boats.

• Moving supplies: If you are in need of moving and packing supplies, Public Storage offers boxes, packing supplies, tape and specific moving kits for purchase. They provide free shipping on orders of $75 or more.

• Business storage: Public Storage offers various businesses tips and ways to use storage to make operations more convenient. Real estate, office, construction and retail businesses have easy access to units for daily or seasonal needs.

• Discounts: Consumers can go online for discounts and specials such as $1 first month rent on selected units for new customers and 15 percent off monthly rent.

• Service areas: Thanks to the acquisition of Shurgard Self-Storage, Public Storage has self-storage facilities in the United States and Europe. Consumers should check the interactive map online to determine their nearest location.

• Best for: Consumers with personal or business self-storage needs, both domestic and abroad.

by Jessica Render ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Jessica Render is dedicated to providing well-researched, valuable content designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions they can feel confident making. She holds a degree in journalism from Oral Roberts University.

Public Storage Company Information