1.21/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

658 Public Storage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I called to ask a question at 10:59 am about payment, and why was I being charged a late fee when we moved in on the 12th. The person answering the phone placed me on hold and came back about 5 mins later to tell me that my account was up to date. I then informed her that the late fees were for last month and I needed to know why was I being charged late fees. She placed me on hold again, this time it’s for over 28 mins. When she returned she immediately hung up on me. I am truly upset and only needed a question answered. I called back and she answered and placed me on hold without my consent to hold. Just plain old rude.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Two incidents of improper late fees and delinquency fees which the District Manager, Fatima, refused to help resolve. Public Storage Location 20175. 1) my credit card for auto pay was lost/stolen. I went online to pay with a different card. Public Storage processed it as a check and claimed it was returned by the bank (BECAUSE IT WAS A CREDIT CARD NUMBER) and then charged a $26.80 Delinquency fee and a $25 late fee. I would not have entered a credit card on a check payment page. You would have to enter a routing number and account number. There is no possible way that I inaccurately did this. The person working the desk told me that if an account is delinquent, it immediately converts a credit card payment to a check and submits all payments as only checks.

So when Public Storage converted my credit card payment into a check, they knew it would be returned because no such account existed. They then charged me late fees and a return check fee for a check I never wrote. This is clearly a fraudulent practice. 2) On 12/10 in an attempt to pay said late fees under threat of having my unit auctioned I went online to pay by credit card $196.80. I was then duplicate charged by Public Storage. I did not know this until I received my statement on or about 1/1/19. Without my knowledge, Public Storage then claims to have credited my account for the duplicate charge. I called my bank to investigate, and apparently the bank reversed one of the charges.

When the bank reversed the charge, with no notification to me, Public Storage then claimed I was again delinquent, because now what had been a credit on my account was now a delinquency and charged $88.30 in delinquency fees, even though I had no knowledge that the chargeback occurred, nor did I authorize duplicate payments for the $196.80. First, I called the facility and was told that the district manager Fatima had called and left me a voicemail about it. This is patently untrue. I never received a voicemail from her. I then called and left her a message. She never returned my call. I then had to go to the location in person.

Fatima was rude, unhelpful and condescending. She refused to reverse any of the aforementioned charges ($140.10 total at this point) and threatened to auction off my unit if I did not make a payment right then and there of $285.10 which included purported rent of $185.80, Insurance of $11.00, a late fee of $26.80 and a Lien Fee of $61.50. Thus a total of $239.40 has been stolen from me by Public Storage. These business practices are unconscionable. I suspect that the "website" often makes such mistakes and then it is blamed on the customer and fees are incurred. Having no recourse because their storage unit has now been taken, people are forced to pay these ridiculous fees. T

There is no possible way this is an isolated incident, every post on the Facebook page is a complaint, one star ratings on everything, tons of disgruntled customers. It appears to be, based on the manager's quote "we never refund late fees or charges. It is company policy" and the other employee's comment that credit card payments are "automatically" turned into check payments, a consistent business practice of the company. They have also blocked me from their Facebook page for suggesting to all the other disgruntled customers that they also file BBB Complaints and contact the media.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I made an online reservation for storage at the 4920 Capital Blvd. Raleigh, NC location and before I had turned the computer off The Manager was calling to confirm and set the appointment for my requested time. Then, on the date I arrived and met a most profession manager, **, who helped me decide if I was over-purchasing and realized that I wanted 'climate control', making the appropriate adjustments. The tour of the property was accommodated on a 'golf-cart', so that I did not get too tired, as Ms. ** said.

The site was very clean, orderly, and secure. A great experience, with the processing of the paperwork, setting up insurance and auto-payment plan. I will be traveling extensively, but, I feel very comfortable leaving my few items with Public Storage at the above location. Very career oriented people are in charge! I could not ask for more, as the prices and lock you can purchase, together with storage supplies, fits my needs. Great times to enter and to exit, right in a great location for gas and city bus. Highly recommend.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Beware, they advertise "climate controlled" but that is untrue. They only maintain a temperature range. There is no humidity control. I was misled and therefore declined insurance so when I discovered my mattress was covered in mold there was no recourse. I should sue them for misleading advertising.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I just received notice that Public Storage will be increasing my rent by 17.2% next month. How in the world can they justify this? It is outright greed. Tell me one other product or service that is able to increase its price by 17% in a one-time increase. I will moving out of my units ASAP. Completely ridiculous and unethical.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Public Storage?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

ME THINKS NOT! Please DO NOT rent from Public Storage. I have overlooked many things but this one thing I am going to speak on it. I allowed all the other things to slide, like the door being broken and you have to jiggle it to get in... No big deal, things happen. Then the carts were moved inside and only accessible during office hours so if you didn't have your own moving cart after hours you were out of luck... I understood that too 'cause they said people were stealing them. But when my mom was admitted to ICU in critical condition on life support and I spent every single night at the hospital by her bedside, paying my storage fee was not at the top of my priorities.

So when I received notification of the late fee, I immediately paid the rental fee and asked to have the late fee waived. I was told NO, even under the circumstances and that I would need to pay it. I called the District Manager and left several messages and even asked the front office to have him call me and he refused to (Justin ** is the name they gave me). I paid the 20.00 but I can't wait to get my stuff out of here. These people have NO heart and are not Human with no compassion. It wasn't even about the 20.00 to me, this was MY MOM and she was dying and I told these people why I was late and they did NOT care! DO NOT RENT FROM THEM. THEY ARE EVIL!!!!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Established a move out date 2 weeks before vacating... Website indicated no payment required. When moving out, was told I needed to pay the full months rent (moved out on the 12th) and was also charged a late fee. Of course it's their policy to not rescind late fees. Just a horrible way to treat a long term customer. If they could have figured out a way to squeeze me for even more money, I'm sure they would have. Be careful upon vacating... Even if the website says no payment required when you establish a move out date, don't assume it means you'll only be charged up to your move out date and can make your final payment at that time. You'll be charged the full month (even if moving out on the 1st) and charged a late fee... Was kind of surprised they don't have a bouncer waiting to toss you out the front door.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I was 1st pleased with Public's rates, everything was ok until my fate had ran out, I suffered unexpected heart attack and miss 2 months of rent and because my income shut down Explain what happen to Public. They didn't want to work with me. All they wanted was the rent money and was given a deadline date to meet. The deadline came I was a short, they told me, "Sorry we have sell your unit." All my family pictures and everything gone, it's like I never existed. I hope and pray that Public get there and get sued big time. Oh I even reached out to the district manager and he was very rude and unprofessional and told me nothing he could do.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I rented a storage unit and a couple of months later the rent increased. In November 2018 I was charged a $38.00 late fee even though on the contract it gives the 15th as the late date. In December 2018 I was again charged a late fee of $38.00 even though the rent was paid before the 15th. I physically visited Public Storage to discuss this concern, but the facility was semi~dark and the door was locked, yet there were two female employees sitting there talking on the phones. I knocked on the door and one of the young ladies opened the door (very unwelcoming).

I inquired about the late fee and she proceeded to tell me that in the state of Maryland the late fee calendar date had been changed to the 6th of the month. I told her that I never received notification of that change and she insisted that the notice had been both mailed and emailed. I asked her to show me what she alleges was sent to me, but she claimed that she couldn't pull it up online. This young lady's demeanor was negative, borderline disrespectful and void of compassion!!! The only mail that I ever got/get from Public Storage are my receipts. I never got an addendum showing any kind of 'late fee' calendar date change(s). I called the corporate customer services and they in turn gave me a number to the District Manager. I called the number I was given and absolutely nobody has bothered to return my call. Thank you for allowing me to vent. Be Blessed...

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I’m writing this review about the office on Gould in Bossier City, Louisiana. I moved to Louisiana a couple of years ago with hopes to buy my home and start anew. In the beginning everything was ok about a year of searching and contemplating where... The price went up approximately 20 dollars. Ok fine I went to visit my children last year and became gravely ill, had to be hospitalized, lost some memory and more. Moving on, I am receiving calls from this office.

They cut my locks (2) off. I wasn’t 30 days late. I am under doctor's care cardiologist, orthopedic and more. They call every month almost like harassment. I paid my storage bill every month. I do not understand nor know in depth why they keep calling except for me to put my own lock on the storage or else I cannot open it without them in the office opening it, well I knew that I have the insurance on my storage therefore perhaps if anything is missing my insurance will replace it. To tell the truth I have not found a place to move into and my doctor hasn’t released me. I would like it if they would not call me as much. The storage is my stuff and my stuff and my stuff. I will not forget to pay for it nor will I forget the address where it is located.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

My bill of 35 dollars was due in January 1. I paid my bill ahead of time because I was going on vacation. I paid on Dec. 07. They sent me a bill on Jan 2 to pay for taxes increased in Broward County Florida in the amount of .33 cents. I returned from vacation on the 8 of Jan. Just to find out that I have a late fee payment of 20 dollars plus 33 cents equal to 20.33 dollars for not paying these .33 cents. I paid it today but I believe I can not pay for their mistake. They should have add this on the bill I paid and also they should have given more time to pay the .33 cents. They gave 3 days to pay. Very upset at this. They robbed Me 20 dollars.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I've been renting my unit since August 2018. Today, they notified me of an increase from $129 to $142 even though the current advertised price for a unit my size is $123 in the same building (and no, that is not the advertised sale price for new customers). I've rented before, and I keep changing units to the lower price, but I'm really tired of that. I wish they would just have honest and fair business practices.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I am a musician and have been a tenant at another storage facility. Given that I live in a small studio in San Francisco I've used that space for guitars. I wasn't using PA speakers, guitar amplifiers and cabinets, any oversized items that wouldn't fit in my apartment. Over the last 3 years I've been a model tenant. Always paid on time and in full and my experience and relationship with the employees of that Facility has been wonderful. They've always been helpful, courteous and friendly.

My only issue was with the hours closing at 5 p.m. on weekdays and 2 p.m. on weekends. For the amount of money that I was paying I decided to seek out a 24-hour place or one that was at least open until the evening. I thought I'd found it when I read the ad for Public Storage saying convenient hours of access 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. but I missed the small print that read "May vary by location".

When I came into the office they did the standard procedure of asking me what I was going to be storing you there. I told them musical equipment at which time the other man that was working there in a condescending way said, "You can't access it all the time. We can't have a whole lot of in and out. This is a storage facility. We can't have people loitering out front." As if to suggest that I was Indigent and planned on living in the space.

When I told them that I was almost certain that I had read on the website that they were open till 10 p.m they were very dismissive. Said, "Absolutely not." I fumbled around with my phone trying to find the website where it is said they're open till 10 and another potential customer came in. He was a clean-cut strait-laced businessman type. They asked how they could accommodate him. He said in what and what would he be storing. He replied that it was paperwork and documents boxes mostly business stuff but he needed access to it all the time or a lot. They assured him that that was not a problem. So my point is employees in this company treat people different based on what they look like, how they dress. I'm friendly, polite and articulate and it doesn't feel good to be treated like a second-class citizen because you have long hair. I'll spend my money somewhere that is not prejudiced against rockers.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I've been with Public Storage for over 3 years and I'm moving out my stuff today. Was called today and informed that I still have to pay for the month. Today is the 5th, was not told that they no longer prorate but was told they would prorate when I first started using their services. I pay $249 A MONTH which is ridiculous. The late fee is another 40 plus dollars. The storage unit itself is in need of work. All of my belongings are covered in piles of dust. Stay far away from this company. Not worth the headache.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I have been a customer of the Public Storage location on Ogden in Aurora IL for 7 years. I had 24hr access due to my small business needs that occasionally fall outside of office hours. Earlier this year when trying to enter after-hours for a job, I was denied access. I tried multiple times. I called the manager from the parking lot with no answer. I left a message which was never returned. This weekend I had another job and found a pile of snow and ice in front of my storage unit. The manager was out, and office locked. I had to clear the snow myself.

Again today I called and left a message. It was returned this time. The manager blamed the snow pile on their snow removal vendor. Upon asking about my 24-hour access revocation without notice, the manager said I never had it. Public Storage took no responsibility. You might think they would value a long-term customer who tolerates their annual ~10% cost increases each year. Sadly no. If you are a business, I would strongly discourage you from considering Public Storage. It is not worth the risk to your business.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

From the moment I made an inquiry at Public Storage in Thornton Colorado the customer service has been poor. This poor customer service deteriorated when I became the victim of domestic violence and they couldn't care less about protecting me from my abuser by simply allowing me to retrieve my property. First, the procedure to sign up for a unit requires an appointment during hours that most working persons cannot meet (appointments are limited and not designed to be convenient). At this point the customer service really breaks down as the lies begin. I was told to simply have a friend come and set up the unit. That I can set everything up online, including multiple authorized users.

The personnel there do not clearly explain their procedures and policies with respect to unit ownership vs. authorized users and never explained to me that I would be putting any items stored there in the hands of this "Friend" forever. After having many of my belongings in a unit that a friend who happened to be staying in my home at the time set up for me as the personnel at Public Storage suggested (something I would not have done if they had not suggested this) and still being listed as an authorized user, the personnel there denied me access to the unit (despite having a code and key).

I explained that things had changed. I was now the victim of domestic violence at the hands of this "friend" and that I wanted to transfer the unit to my name or simply retrieve my property as I had a protection order in place protecting me from the "friend" who set up the unit. (This friend per the protection order was not allowed to contact me and I was advised by counsel and the police not to contact him). All I wanted to do was get my things and move them elsewhere so they were out of this abuser's control and I would not inadvertently bump into him.

Not only was the woman completely inattentive and uncaring (despite knowing the "friend" and me from previous dealings), she was harsh towards me and told me to get the police if I need to. I requested the police come to do a civil standby and to deal with me retrieving my things (which is commonly done when protection orders are in place in order to retrieve property).

While the police were there, the women stated she had to contact the "friend" to make sure I was still authorized. The "friend" never had expressly unauthorized me and never changed the lock to suggest I should not enter the unit -- she apparently went out of her way to make this harder for me even though the police were present and could see I had a key. I confirmed his email and his phone number with her. He did not answer; she continued to be rude to me while the police were present. She told the police I was not welcome on her property and that the unit was not in my name. I asked what would happen if the unit wasn't paid for, she stated that the items would be sold at auction. I left without my property in tears.

For weeks a third-party tried to deal with both the "friend" and public storage to retrieve the property. This third-party told me they continued to contract this "Friend" to no avail. I continued to receive emails from Public Storage addressed as, "Dear 'friend's' name." Despite their insistence that I was not the unit owner, could not access my property and wasn't welcome on the property. To make matters worse after the first missed payment on the unit, they called (a number that they knew was mine and not the "friend's"), leaving a message saying, "Hi 'friend's name'. We need to talk to you immediately." I immediately called back (no answer) and left a message stating this was not "friend's name's" number, that I believed they knew this and that I find this to be inappropriate given their position towards me. I received the same voicemail the next day again addressed to "friend's name."

I continue to receive emails to my email address (despite clear communication that the email address they are using is not the email for the unit holder). I feel that Public Storage Unit stole my property from me and went out of their way to make a very difficult experience worse. I have rented other units with other persons at other facilities in the past without incident. There is no need for Public Storage's rigid policies that are not clearly explained to customers. I am not sure how these people stay in business.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

First they make you buy a lock that you cannot use anywhere else but yet they don't buy it back or let you rent it. The dollar for the first month only applies to certain units. I have tried multiple times to go online to pay which I have had nothing but issues and calling the local facility where the unit is, is zero help, they tell you to call the customer service line. They prorate to move in but will not when you move out. Everything seems to be a scam and see how much money they can get out of you. I have been calling the local facility which one of the staff argued about what I got when I moved in, she was wrong and I was correct with zero apology.

I have been calling the customer service line since the beginning of December with a return call on my voicemail saying call the customer service line back which is repeated when you call back. When I answer my phone they hang up right away. I have called the district manager for my location several times with no return call. I called the corporate office and left messages for the customer relations, Debra or Deborah again asking for return calls with zero callbacks. They charged me a late fee since I could not get the online service to work. They will charge you $20 to do it over the phone with them and $10 if you do it on the automated line. So not customer service oriented although that is what their slogan is about, if you expect a return call for issues and you ask for supervisors then forget it and they have business hours to respond not business days. Horrible place.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Paying my online Dec 1 account check was returned acct. The checking acct had been hacked. They would not believe me regarding the hacking, so I paid $116.xx to close the account with a new checking account on Dec 6. On Dec 12 I received another notice that the check had been returned. On speaking with the rep at the site, she tells me is auto checking. I NEVER SIGNED UP FOR AUTO PAYMENT. I can't find a telephone to file a complain, so I guess I have to go small claims.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Everything about Public Storage is unethical, from fee increases, fines and customer service. They have an I don’t care attitude. I travel frequently and at times run late on payment. The fee is $75 on a unit I pay $135 per month. I first obtained this 10x10 unit 4 yrs ago for $45 per month. Public Storage leverages my “stuff” against me to charge exorbitant $s. They take advantage of every opportunity available to them and are nasty people on top of it.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

On Tuesday May 29, 2018, I got stuck at Public Storage on Lee Highway in Centreville, VA. I was there for about 3 hours from 8 to about 11. While there I called Public Storage’s corporate and talked to people who did nothing but blame me for being stuck. I told them the door was malfunctioning. They told me it’s not opening because I left late. That was not the case. Something was wrong with the gate. They berated me and yelled at me. One of the women I talked to was so rude scolding at me “pay attention”, but I was trying to talk to bother her and the police officer, who was on the other side of the gate to help me. Not once did any of them agree with me that the door was malfunctioning. After multiple attempts, I talked to a representative, who told me to call the local police, as they should have a code to open me.

So I called the police who tried codes they had. None worked. He talked to them and spent two hours punching in codes to no avail. No one in that company told me of any plan to get me out of there. At around 11, I parked my car in the back and the police drove me home. The next day I called Public Storage about 20 times. Literally. I was nervous about my car being towed while I was working. At about noon I took Uber and got my car from Public Storage. When I got there the alternative gate was opened because the normal gate was malfunctioning like I told them. I went inside and told the employee that I had to leave my car overnight. Her response was “Oh, so that is why your car was there this morning” I was waiting in line to talk to her about how I had to take Uber and how I believe the company should pay for it. She then said to me “So what do you want?”

Stunned at her unempathetic response, I just left and got out of the line. It was so rude. When I went home I wrote a review both on their Instagram page about what happened to me and them on Yelp and Google. The Public Storage Instagram blocked me. The next day (Thursday) I got a call from Public Storage District Manager Jillian **. The very first sentence out of her mouth was “how do you feel?” Bewildered by that question, I said, “I feel fine.” Second sentence was to tell me that she called me because she saw my review and then told me to delete it because it would hurt her performance. Taken aback by the same apathy I got from the woman when I picked up my car, I said, “I would think about it.”

I didn’t think they did anything to justify me removing the bad review. Because to me, if I knew someone got stuck in a facility I was in charge of and I couldn’t find that person, especially a woman, I would call that person ASAP to make sure they are okay. She didn’t do that. The other ‘manager” who supposedly checked up on me didn’t do that. The woman working at Public Storage when I picked up my care couldn’t care less as well. Jillian also told me she talked to me that night I was stuck. So she knew I was stuck there. No excuse why she waited till a negative review to check up on me. She then went to tell me she had someone come to check on me two nights prior. She never told me of this person that night that I called. In fact, I left that place believing no one would come to open the gate for me and that Public Storage, including Jillian **, shrugged their shoulders and left me there.

Later when I got home, I saw a self-gratifying email District ** Jillian ** sent me where she said things to the tune of ‘I am sorry I tried so hard to help you and you couldn’t be helped’, ‘I am sorry that I sent someone and when they came you were not there’ “I…, I…, I…, I…”. I emailed her back and asked her why she never told me that she sent someone to help me? I got off the phone with her thinking no one would come and that they didn’t really care. I got off the phone with them STILL accusing me of leaving late, and still giving me new codes to put in the access system, after telling them multiple times that the gate was malfunctioning. She emailed me back saying she told the police officer she was going to bring someone.

I told her, “Why would you tell the police officer and not me? It makes NO sense. I am the paying customer of this storage facility who happened to have gotten locked inside because of a malfunctioning gate. But you tell a third party, who never told me, that you are bringing someone. I am a woman stuck outside of a gated facility that has NO lights, pitch dark and I’m frightened. Also the police officer told me himself that I should call them the next morning and let them have it.”

I told her I won’t remove my review to help her work “performance”, which I took to mean her BONUS check would be affected by me leaving a bad review. Her response to me was to tell me that her boss knows everything and sat there with her during her phone call where she told me to remove my review so she could get a better performance score. She also told me she has tried time and time again to apologize and make my experience pleasant. In the same email she told me about a man named Dilraj who “who left his 6 month old BABY at home with his wife to drive to the property.” And I found that comment about the baby to be not only laughable but asinine. REALLY?

I felt like she was guilting me by saying he had to leave his 6 month old to come get me. He is a manager doing his job. I am sure he doesn’t take his baby to work. And I’m sure Jillian doesn’t take her daughter to work. I don’t take my kids to work. No one does. That is how it is. I never complained to her about leaving my family to be stuck, nor did I say how when I went home my family was asleep. Because I never blamed her nor Public Storage for being stuck there. Because I know it was a mistake. When you are a manager you are responsible for unintended problems that arises. That is what Dilraj and Jillian ** signed up for. She then told me she offered to pay for my Uber fare because she felt sorry for me, but she can tell that cannot turn my experience around.

No you should offer because you are LEGALLY responsible for paying it. You are not doing me a favor. I sent my receipt to her MULTIPLE times with NO reimbursement. I have tried calling her, because I felt her emails to me were her self-serving way of telling her bosses what she did, instead of conversing with me. She doesn’t pick up. In fact she stopped communicating with me. Half her emails were also about how “my boss knows everything” “I am forwarding this to my boss”. Which tells me she never meant to pay me back in the first place. Her whole purpose in contacting me, which she admitted to when she first contacted me TWO days after the incident, was to make sure I remove my review, for her to get a lucrative payday. When I didn’t her boss and her obviously came up with a plan to ignore me, because they were going to lose money due to a bad performance review.

Jillian ** knows better. She worked at Target as a team leader for 3 years after working there for another 4 years, and knows customer service. I’m sure having a degree in English from Stony Brook University didn’t help much but she has worked in customer service enough to know that you don’t dodge a customer for 7 months. I didn’t know how to go about it because it was obvious she was upset, but why should I remove a review for a woman who did nothing but SCOLD me about someone leaving their BABY at home to take care of a customer who was stuck at a place for 3 hours at night? Having been a manager before. I would have made it right with my customer. And made sure to follow up. She hasn’t contacted me, but I have made attempts to contact her. To me she is retaliating by ignoring me.

Please do not use this company. Jillian ** is a horrible District manager and the worst manager of ANY company I have ever dealt with. When I left Public Storage, my items had water damage ALL over them and also water was all over my items. And there are BUGS. I called them about that several times, and they never pick up. Public Storage directs phone calls by if you are a current renter or not. If you are not people will pick up, if you are good luck getting someone. Once you are a customer they don’t care. Jillian needs more training in being a manager. She has failed big time.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

If I could give zero stars, I would. They will charge you a full months rent regardless of when you move out. I got my unit in October. I’m moving my stuff out on this coming Saturday. The manager and the district manager is telling me that I am required to pay a FULL MONTH'S RENT regardless of me only being there 8 days this months. Ridiculous!!! They do not prorate which to me is total BULL. These people are complete rip-offs. Find another storage and make this place your absolute final resort if all else fails.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I was late with this month's payment and received a final notice to pay by today. I have this in writing. I went to pay my bill today and they sold my unit yesterday. I have cried all day. My deceased mother's possession were in there as well as my grandkids' baby pictures and other family heirlooms, nothing of any monetary value at all. I spoke with management and they refused to let me pay my bill.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

On Nov 20th I had a 3.30 appointment to check out my space I had rented and bring in a deposit to secure the spot. At 11 am I received a call that a "mistake" had been made and my spot was no longer available. I insisted on an explanation as to how could this have happened when I had received several confirmation emails and phone calls from the company the day before to confirm I was coming in. Which I assured them I would be there at the scheduled time. I am now told that a scheduled appointment does not mean your spot is reversed. What it does mean is that it might be still available. It might not. When I asked why this is not explained when clients book appointments I was told that if they told clients that they wouldn't book with them. Hmm makes you wonder!!!

This company has put this traveler in a very tough spot. I have a flight booked and nowhere to store my travel trailer and truck. When it was brought to my attention that I no longer had a storage spot I thought they would work with me to resolve the problem but they refused to return my calls until I made a formal complaint and at that point, after 6 voicemails they were still unable or unwilling to help. I should have read the reviews on this company first. So I learnt a valuable lesson myself. Read reviews. This company is not worth it!! Even with their teaser rates to get you interested it's not worth the aggravation.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

We went to get our stuff and everything was torn into and RAT poop all over. The place is dirty and unkept. We lost a lot of our belongings. When we cleaned things out not even a dumpster. When we went back there were cops there. The unit next to ours was robbed. They lost TVs and furnishings. What kind of security when people can get in through locked gates. We lost so much of our stuff plus months of payments. They also raised the rent a month after moving in. The place is dirty and smells. Please be careful before putting your precious items in storage. They will not be safe. They are very nasty and rude. Please stay away or get very good insurance to protect what you might lose. It's sad to feel your possessions will be safe and you go to get your stuff and it's either destroyed or gone. This one is on NE 36th st. In Ocala, FL.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I rented my unit in May of 2018. I rented because the rate was fantastic. I even convinced my parents to rent a unit too. I paid my rent in advance through December. Today, November 21st, I logged in to make a payment for the next 6 months. While I anticipated there might be an increase, I was shocked to find my monthly rent went from $43.00/month to $75.00/month. That is a 74% increase. I didn't get any letter, or email. I just happened to log in.

I decided to call them and after 30 minutes, I finally reached a live person. As soon as I stated the reason for the call, the call was disconnected. I never could reach a live person again. I decided to take it to Facebook. I posted my dissatisfaction on their page and was told they were looking into it. 7 hours later, no reply. Now the holiday weekend has started so I doubt I'll hear anything until Monday. Even at that, I'm not holding my breath. Shortly after I rented the unit, I actually asked what would happen if I paid in advance and an increase went through. They said not to worry. Increases are usually only 10 - 15%. Riiight. So now I have a storage space full of stuff and a bill that is nearly double what I signed up for. Ridiculous.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I have experienced a evil and unlawful misuse of power in this corporation. Beware of these Wolves. They put your contract, billings, payments in writing. Yet they lock tenants out when Rent is fully paid with NO Warning! NO written reason. This way they either steal your unit or get the tenant to move out angry and NO Data on terminations of the POOR, WEAK, BROKEN.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I rented a storage shed in St. Paul for my daughter who moved out of her college apartment. I paid for the first month and was late by one day on the second because I didn't get an invoice and forgot about it as I live in Milwaukee. Once I realized I hadn't made the payment I called them to ask why I hadn't of received an invoice and asked what I owed. They hit me with a $20 late fee. I stated that was ridiculous and refused to pay it. They hit me with another $20 late fee for the $20 I had not paid. They then deactivated my code. They are criminals. The customer service is the worst!! I would give them zero stars if I could. Don't use this company!!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I rented a storage unit form the location at 4300 Boulder Highway for six (6) years!! The first two onsite managers were professional and possessed great customer relationship skills. However, in 2015, the company hired Chanti, who consistently pushed her staff to robo dial my cell, because Public Storage compensates its managers for accounts paid on time. As a loyal customer, I would ALWAYS pay any and all late fees, etc on a monthly basis. Due to the aggressive actions by Chanti, the current manager, I wrote and called the corporate offices, as well as customer service, complaining about this individual. Moreover, in speaking with a few of her subordinates, they substantiated my concerns regarding her behavior.

In August, I was made aware that ALL of the items in my storage unit were sold, unbeknownst to me. Because I was in the process of relocating, EVERYTHING that I owned was sold. My furniture, appliances, electronics, clothing, files containing sensitive information, photo albums, etc. I have documentation to support the fact that Public Storage made a SERIOUS error in selling my items. I am enlisting the assistance of an attorney to file a major lawsuit, if anyone else has experienced a similar issue with Public Storage, please contact me. A Class Action Lawsuit can be initiated.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Do not get a unit here unless you like them raising the price without telling you. I was promised a set price for as long as I have a unit and they did not inform me they were raising the price. The customer service rep was extremely rude to me on the phone and the district manager refused to help me. She did not call me back for two weeks and when she did she stated “there’s nothing I can do.” I will be moving my unit to a different location as soon as I can. Run far far away. Do you even care about your customers???

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I rented a storage unit from Public Storage for an agreed upon and advertised price per month only to have the price per month increase by $35 or 20% after a short period of time. I was told by the onsite and district manager that the rental prices are market driven and therefore because there was a shortage of rental units at the size that I had rented the price would go up. In my mind they pulled a bait, getting you in at the lower rate, and rate, increasing your monthly rental fee once they have you in there. I rented a large unit for my daughter's things, she lived in a three bedroom home, so to move it to another unit, which would require a large truck, would be costly. They know that so they know that they can raise the rate accordingly which is still less than renting a truck to move it out. What a racket. I addition to this review I also put one on Yelp. Stay away from Public Storage!!!

Public Storage expert review by Janine Sarna-Jones

Public Storage is a global self-storage provider offering facilities in the United States and Europe. Along with self-storage they can accommodate business storage needs and vehicle storage needs.

• Unit sizes: Public Storage offers unit sizes ranging from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 25 feet. The smallest unit can hold the contents of a small room or a large closet, while the largest unit can hold the contents of a 250-square foot business space or up to six rooms. Vehicle storage spaces range from uncovered to enclosed for cars and large spaces for RVs and boats.

• Moving supplies: If you are in need of moving and packing supplies, Public Storage offers boxes, packing supplies, tape and specific moving kits for purchase. They provide free shipping on orders of $75 or more.

• Business storage: Public Storage offers various businesses tips and ways to use storage to make operations more convenient. Real estate, office, construction and retail businesses have easy access to units for daily or seasonal needs.

• Discounts: Consumers can go online for discounts and specials such as $1 first month rent on selected units for new customers and 15 percent off monthly rent.

• Service areas: Thanks to the acquisition of Shurgard Self-Storage, Public Storage has self-storage facilities in the United States and Europe. Consumers should check the interactive map online to determine their nearest location.

• Best for: Consumers with personal or business self-storage needs, both domestic and abroad.

Profile picture of Janine Sarna-Jones
Janine Sarna-Jones Moving Expert

Janine Sarna-Jones is a Certified Professional Organizer and Move Manager. She is the founder and president of Organize Me Inc. and has been helping people get organized at work and at home since 1992. A member of the inaugural class of Certified Personal Organizers and board member of the National Association of Productivity and Organizing, Janine has helped a broad range of clients, including corporate executives, small business owners, real-estate agents, moms, artists, therapists, and non-profit organizations.

Public Storage Company Information

www.publicstorage.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.