Public Storage

Compare Self Storage and Portable Storage Companies

Research top Self Storage and Portable Storage Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We rent a unit in North Charleston on Dorchester road 29406. After paying late charges and making our account current, we get there to find out our lock had been cut. Oh, that's fine, but now we can't even move our things out without purchasing a lock. This policy makes no sense to me. We were speaking with a pleasant, slightly older woman in the house and she was trying to make us understand the process. The younger lady, a little heavy set, frizzy hair (in case you go here) gets off her phone call (business) and brings the attitude. "I'm not going to lose my job" as if anyone asked her to risk her life to allow us access to the storage we are paying for.

I'm hoping there is some type of deduction for days that your storage is paid but your denies entry to move out. Customer service in these places suck. Why be so defensive? I felt like if I would've said too much that I would have to fight the woman behind the counter and I wasn't in the mood today. That cut and dry, "I don't give a care" about your attitude in a service position is totally uncalled for and unprofessional. I myself have been a manager in the service industry for years so I practice what I preach. I'm upset I didn't get her name, but her job is too good for her. I plan to call and file a complaint as well.

I had to move out abruptly after 15 months of storage. This is specifically about the Public Storage at 3611 W Washington Blvd., Los Angeles, 90018. I truly hope this is not the way Public Storage normally does business as a whole. I do not like it when people drone on and on about bad experiences in reviews so I just want to give you the straight forward information and you can decide for yourself. I have posted pictures with captions to explain each.

On January 9, 2017, I went to my storage unit for the first time since September 2016 and discovered that my unit and about 5 to 6 others were broken into by a person that was living in one of the units at this location. The wire mesh they use on the tops of the units had been ripped away allowing the person to climb in and take whatever he wanted. This was told to me by **, the front desk clerk, and when I asked her why I was not notified, she said "we did not want to cause panic". ** is a nice girl and I am not writing to disparage her; however, them not notifying the tenants lead to me paying for a unit for 4 solid months that had been vandalized.

I contacted the district manager, asking for a refund from October through January, and he told me "you can't prove it happened in October". I was a bit stunned because even if it didn't happen in October when they admit many units were broken into, I would think they would have had some clue as to when it happened because they are supposed to perform security walks and check the tops of the units routinely (something else ** had said). He then said he would call me back, but did not. I then contacted the regional manager. I explained the situation to her, and told her that I wanted a refund from October through January, to which she gave me the runaround citing contractual agreements that she believed took all responsibility off of Public Storage. The most they offered was to give me a refund for January in return for me signing a release not to take them to court. It was a terrible offer to which I declined.

This whole situation occurred due to negligence allowing someone to live in a unit and be locked in at night with freedom to roam and break in to any unit they liked. Public Storage has cut feeds to most of the cameras with vantage points that view any of the units at this location, which you can see on a flat screen in the office, they have cut the security sensors on all the doors of the units, and do not fulfill any obligation to do minimal checks to be aware of break ins.

Even after I became aware of the break in, it was 2 solid weeks and me having to reach the regional manager before they "repaired" the top of my unit even though ** said they would reach me to have it done when I asked on January 9th. They didn't secure the unit at all, and it was still pretty much open after they did their "work" on it. Like I said, I have told you the facts. This place doesn't want anyone to know that this happened for obvious reasons. I would have also reviewed it with about 4 stars had I not been aware of this secret they are keeping. I, unfortunately, had to move my things out quickly after 15 months of storage with Public Storage.

Awful service, rude associates. No idea about the services they offer. I went to the Public Storage on Australian Ave in West Palm Beach to rent a Storage space. The two ladies who were sitting behind the counter doing nothing rudely told me I needed an appointment to rent a storage space. I was like "you're kidding right". They both respond no and again stated I needed an appointment, which I later found out was a complete lie. Well needless to say, I called them out on their lie and demanded to rent a space. At that time they did rent me the space I needed. But to keep up with the rudeness, the space she rented me was all the way towards the back of the property and I was not offer to be taken in the complimentary golf cart. These ladies should be fired! They completely lied to me to keep from working and doing their jobs which is simply renting Storage space units!

I have two units at two separate Public Storage facilities near me. And oh, for those of you reading -- Public Storage can't MAKE you buy their insurance, nor is it legal for them to force you to buy it, intimidate you to buy it, or anything else they try. Be polite, but firm and even ask them to call their district manager right there. They might, or might not, but it's just a scam to get more money out of you. If you read the form, it says ELECTIVE all through it. Just write the word DECLINED in big letters diagonally across the form and sign it. And always bring your own locks. I don't trust their box of locks. They charge $25 per lock; you can buy the same type lock at Home Depot, Lowe's for $15; Ace Hardware charges a little more. They can't make you buy their locks either. If they want to see it, tell them it's in the car or better yet, you'll bring it when you put items in before they close. I believe they have a master key to all of their locks.

One place I went in handed them a check for November 2016 payment, they gave a receipt. I had put 2 locks on that unit; one like theirs and another that wasn't even securing anything. As of 16 November, they had cut both of my locks off threatening lien auction/sale. I get restricting access to my unit, but not cutting the locks off. This has been going on since January 18, 2017 when I finally made a formal complaint to my state Attorney's General's office for that office's refusal to send me an itemized list of all payments and charges I asked for twice; the check has not cleared -- I believe they shredded it, and unfortunately I'm still looking for that lost receipt. The regional manager is useless. I have paid all the fees and am actually paid up on that unit until mid March 2017 -- but they still have their locks on a paid unit for over 30 days now. That is illegal and wrongful action.

I anticipate finding that receipt soon and will also write a letter to their corporate office providing all evidence and pictures I've taken each Saturday proving I'm still locked out of my unit. While I wait on the reply and next action step from the attorney general's office, I will institute my legal & rightful own steps. I've even caught one of their employee's spying on me while I was sorting the other unit. Really. The end result -- they will be reimbursing me $50 for the two locks they illegally cut off + all penalties + any other fee deem appropriate. Time to go over and take my Saturday picture of my unit -- paid in advance for 2+ months that they have denied me access to for over 1 month now.

I was purchasing a new house and thought I was going to have to be out of our old house before new house was ready so rented a storage unit from Public Storage. Well $1 move in was a lie because it was $57. I was told that if I didn't need it just call back up there before the 30 days monthly cycle meaning, 30 days from the move in and that's when you monthly rental starts or I would have to pay the next months which was going to be $239. We'll call up there two weeks later and now I owed $239 because it moved into the next month. They are going to tell you what you want to hear to suck you in.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Public Storage?

NEVER USE THIS COMPANY - no matter how much advertising crap they do to make themselves look reputable. I've had other storage companies for years with never a problem and never a raise in rent. These people NEVER TELL YOU at contract signing that it's even a possibility that you might experience a rental increase. My rent was increased 30% after not even 6 months. No notice, no email, no phone call. They said they "mailed a letter" but who on earth checks snail mail??? Furthermore, it probably looked like junk mail because I never got it. Had I been informed at contract signing, I would have selected another storage facility - I would not risk a raised rent knowing I was moving 3K miles away.

And when they do raise the rent, you are held hostage because now you have to hire a mover to move your things -- and most people can't afford that. I know I am now left scrambling. I happen to be 3000 miles away from my stuff -- so I'm sick over this. I'm contacting a lawyer. This is UNCONSCIONABLE and UNSAVORY business practices. No other storage company raises the rent -- what you rent is what you pay. DISGUSTING. This is my first and last time using this company.

Got a call from Tom in San Antonio, Tx verbally threatening me my unit was still up for Auction, even though I was only 11 days behind... I told him my kids pictures were in there. Tom was rude and didn't care... After paying Outrageous fees, I am paid up but this is a Horrible place to do business with. High cost and uses verbal threats. Unprofessional.

Had storage 6 months at 249.00/month. Suddenly, there was an increase of MY UNIT. Not my other family members (who has been there longer), but mine. There was a 27.00/month increase! They said that corporate ONLY SENDS OUT LETTERS TO NOTIFY TENANT AT ADDRESS ON FILE. NO emails. Even though they have your emails to send you bills! On top of that, since I paid on the 8th of January, AND they place a late fee on the increase... the late fee is 57.00! So, I have to pay 87.00!

When you call the office, they will always put everything on "corporate." No sympathy, no customer service. HELL. RUN and get your stuff OUT! PLEASE do not go there. They make you buy their own locks that stink. Can't use your own! Then, they charge for insurance. (even though your homeowners insurance might already cover it. But you have to give them a notice to show them. Until then, THEY will be happy to take your money.) So many BS fees and the facility? Never clean. No working carts. No lights (one time I went and no lights).

Another time, a car parked and blocked the loading dock. So my truck was not able to back into loading dock! NO discount. No sympathy. "Whatever" attitude and they quickly mention, "it's from corporate." I wish your Corporate would get on Undercover boss and see what your own business is really like. You guys should be ashamed of the customer disservice you provide. Will be sure to spread the word throughout the cyberspace! Shame on You. People... go somewhere else. They are NOT A good experience. Just see the hundreds of reviews HERE!

I received a notice only after 6 months of renting my unit which resulted in a $16 increase or about 12%. I reached out to every level within the company and it took me 5 weeks to finally get a callback with not much support or explanation. At the executive level they said they could not honor my original rate for another 6 months and at an executive level they said they could not do anything. It is more like they will not do anything.

The problem I have with this whole situation is contained within the rental agreement. It is vague and in Public Storage's favor. It states customer will receive a notice 1 month prior to any increase, which we did get, but here is the problem: It does not say when it will happen again, does not clearly state what my first increase might be or next even the subsequent increases will be and finally they said it wont happen again for another year but when I asked to get that in writing they said they would not. It is a super shady company and has solely written the contract to be vague in order to take advantage of everyone who rents from them. So when you see any specials that are posted, it is false and you can count on them making up for the discount within the first year of your agreement.

SCAM. SCAM. SCAM. My experience seems to be like everybody else's. "Public Storage" has a nice, homey, comfortable sound to it. You are drawn in by the big name you see everywhere. That makes you think "these guys have a corporate office that will deal with anything the local offices won't". WRONG. The first unit I lost was 100% my fault. I was at a bad point in life, and the unit was halfway across the country. There was nothing I could do. However my mistake was renting a second unit from these guys. My second unit was sold without my knowledge! I paid the same way every month, and for some reason, this last month, they decided they wanted to handle things a bit differently. After the unit was sold, I contacted the manager who said she would reach out to the man who bought it (he frequently buys units there) and she would give him my contact information back.

All I wanted was my family's birth certificates and my marriage license! Easy enough right? WRONG. She played this "oh I'm still trying", "Oh he said he would give you a call", "Oh I never spoke with him" bull crap game until finally she just decided to ignore all my calls. I reached out to the district manager, no return call. I toyed with the customer service line for DAYS and just got tossed around from person to person, none of whom were really going to help me. THIS PLACE IS A SCAM. Not only do they do this to people every day, but they increase their rates over 20% every 6 months it seems! What a joke. Rent a storage unit from a small, family owned storage facility instead. These guys are racking up bad reviews all over the country.

I've been a customer renting a storage unit from public storage for about 7 years at the San Jose California 3900 vista park and even for 4 more year before when it was called Shurgard. Public storage has been buying up all the storage unit facilities everywhere. So I've been at this location for 11 years. My storage needs have change and my units would get bigger then smaller and it kept the cost down since they raise the rent every 6 months. Every time I moved units I'd have to go through their renting process and go over their rules so I know the rules pretty good and I would have to explain why and what I'm using the unit for and every time I've said the same thing. I show up in the morning, grab the materials and tools I need and drop them off in the evening and sometimes I'll need to repair something for my job. They always have said that that's not a problem as long as I was out by 9:00 pm.

Well I guess the management from corporate walked by my unit one evening as I was fixing something I needed on the job the next day as I've done many times before. The next day I get a 3 day eviction notice because my unit is set up like a shop and no it's not my truck is but my unit is not. My issue is neither of these managers even looked in my unit which they were more than welcome to do. It was a false accusation plus I've been doing this same thing for 4 years longer than they owned it. Not to mention that I got this notice on the day before New Year's Eve.

Then at the same time they change their hours and you had to be out of there by 6:00 pm. So after a couple of phone calls they gave me until the 10th but I don't get off work until 4:30 pm. How is this legal? The only thing I can think of why they're doing this is they want to auction off my unit. I can believe that they can give no warning just get out. This district manager Ryan ** has no soul. I have never missed nor have I made a late payment ever. That's loyalty for you. If you can find another storage facility public storage will stab you in the back. Please don't use this company. They're bad news. Just read all the reviews.

If you can use a local company or any other alternative, I strongly advise it. Public Storage is high priced with late fees that hit on the 31st which can be 30% of the monthly bill, exorbitant and unconscionable. If you have not paid by the 10th you'll be denied access to your unit until you pay the entire month, even if you want to move out and pay a prorated amount. It is predatory capitalism at its very worst and should be avoided.

Who charges $20 just to make a payment with customer service department and who charges $10 to pay with a card. This company is awful, I can't believe they get away with running their business like this... I can't wait to get my stuff out and be done with them.

Worst company & customer service ever. All they do is take your money and will still block you from your own items even after you've paid. I am in Atlanta. I am paying $280.00 a month and had water damage & mold in my unit because the PS units are old and they leak. They gave me no customer service to resolve the issue. It took them 3 weeks to respond back to my complaint. They are ready to cut your locks and sell your stuff after the 20th but it takes weeks for them to respond to customers if at all. (Meanwhile they are still calling you to make payments).

They charge you late fees if you pay past the 1st but you cannot access your items even if you pay late fees. (Late fees don't grant you any extended time.) I've had my very expensive items in there for 4 years. They treat you like a guy off the street instead of a 4 year paying customer. I could write a freaking book about how ** they are as a whole but I don't have time. Go with PODS or another company. They are a Dinosaur organization and aren't interested in helping their customers at all. Stay Away from them!!! They are the absolute worst.

I was warned about Public Storage. But did not think I'd be screwed over to this magnitude. I had been renting from this location since September 2016 till today, December 10th, 2016. I came the other day while the district manager was there. All of a sudden he comes to me with this made up story that it seems like I'd been living in their storage unit. And that they actually took it upon themselves to LOOK INSIDE MY STORAGE UNIT and draw these whacked out conclusions. (Don't flatter yourselves guys, your elevators smell like urine, and you have obvious drug addicts working for you, such as your cashier, Jean.. LOL) Yes, me living in a 5 x 10 storage unit, with no access to the building after 9pm and I work till 11. That totally makes sense.

Thursday, December 8th, I was told I have 48 hours to get my things out of my storage, and that I was going to have an overlock put on the unit and would only be able to access it if the staff was there to open the door for me. Not only that but they didn't promise me a refund after I paid $123.00 just days beforehand for the month of December. So basically I'm being conned out of over 100 dollars, and the safety of my belongings is currently in question. Do not do business with Public Storage, especially this location which is right next to the entrance to Port Everglades. Today I'm happy to say I'm ridding myself of these criminal thieves, and am moving my business to CubeSmart, who has cheaper rates and more secure facilities and better customer service.

I got a call from Public Storage that a person in the unit adjacent to mine had damaged the drywall dividing the storage spaces and that the company needed me to move some of my stuff so they could repair the wall. Upon arriving at the location, I discovered that the drywall had been intentionally broken down. The drywall had a 5 ft by 5 ft hole in it and 2 nice chairs and a bookshelf had been stolen.

Also, 90% of the boxes had been shredded open and the contents of the boxes were strewn throughout my unit and the adjacent unit. Public Storage said they auctioned off the property that was in the other person's unit, which may have been MY property since the person stole it from my unit. The company compensated me with a 10% discount on a new unit. The walls are drywall. I thought originally that Public Storage units were better protected, like maybe there was brick between the units. NOPE. Just flimsy drywall. It would be just as safe for me to store my property on my front lawn!

Have rented our unit for only 5 months and they are already raising our rent 15%. Did not read fine print, but sales person said the rates would not go up for a year. Called customer service. Representative was cold and did not care. Please rent from anyone else other than Public Storage!

I rented a storage unit from Public Storage for $206 per month. I was out of State. I spent $800 moving my things into the unit. 6 months later they raised the rent to $249. 6 months later it was $291. I saw nothing on my contract indicating 40% increases every 6 months. I called and asked why they advertise at $206 and increased my rates so much. The only way I could have the current rate was to hire a company and move out for 48 hours giving them 30 days' notice as well as reserving 30 days in advance. Publish this to all consumers. The corporate office stated rental rates can increase at any time for any amount. This is clearly a violation of antitrust laws. Bait and switch. I am moving to a new unit with another company indoor climate controlled for $179 per month.

However it will cost over $1,000 move. I was moving and went to the first company online. Please ensure other women are not abused by this company. My increase was going to be another $50.00 in January making the $206 rental $341. I checked all the companies prior to hiring movers and found the average rental is 1 x annually at 7%. Everyone should be made fully aware of 40% rate increase every 6 months. I also noted reviews online stating the company continued to auto debit them after 30 days vacating notice. I followed my bank requesting a signature from the manager indicating I would no longer be charged. The manager Alan refused to sign.

As a previous individual said, they raise your rent for no reason. My rent was raised $23 after only 6 months. They claimed they mailed a letter a month ago, which I never received. They said it was due to the 'cost of doing business'.

Do not use this company to store your valuable belongings. The manager at my location in Rockville, MD told me that I could take a few of my items, no problem. He then said what did not sell I could return and collect and that if the auction went well my balance would be less or paid off. I had to contact customer service several times in order to find out how the auction went. My balance was higher than before the unit was auctioned off. I only took non-replaceable things with me. I left these awful people a flat screen tv, a wii, a playstation, a brand new vintage record player, 2 ikea dressers, a couch, artwork, a brand new crockpot, a brand new sewing machine, two crystal lamps, a bed and 2 night stands, 2 shag rugs, a standing mirror and much more.

Do you honestly expect me to believe you didn't make any money off of all those items? I have also tried reaching out to the property management non-stop over the weekend and today and no one will answer the phone. When they have wanted money from me they have called me and harassed me non-stop. For a multi-million dollar company this is the poorest customer service I have ever had anywhere. Why wasn't I told the whole unit would be auctioned off and not piece by piece? Why was I lead to believe that I could return for anything left? DO NOT trust these crooks with your valuables. They really don't care about their customers. I am homeless with no bank account and no way to stop them from sending me to collections. Stay clear of Public Storage.

There has been a pine tree in the middle of the parking lot in front of my spot on Hilton Head Island Office Park since Hurricane Matthew 4 weeks. For a company this size I do not understand why an issue of this magnitude should be lingering for this long. There is no excuse for this situation. Over the years they have no trouble going up on the spot I rent and not changing anything, just supply and demand. They say they have looked at it? and? nothing. But I bet they will still charge me for it.

I have been a loyal customer to Public Storage. I am keeping my stuff in one of their storage units for the year (at least) while I travel - I have never made a late payment and have always paid in full. I recently saw that my bill had increased by $14/month. When I called to speak to the property manager, she said that I had probably been sent a postcard at some point that this would happen. When I asked where I could find this in the contract, she said this was not in the contract, nor could she identify a rhyme or reason to when/if they would increase the rate again, but she guessed it would be every 6 months or so.

I was never notified of a potential for a rate increase, and was in fact told that I would pay $140/month for the year. I obviously am unable to remove my stuff from the unit, or to switch to another company until I return to the area. When I tried to call customer service, there were no options to speak to a representative from the corporate office and I was told by the property manager that there were no other options.

The only reason I gave this place a 1 star is because it is the lowest available score. I exercised every measure possible to resolve this concern prior to writing this review. Contacting the local District Manager Phil **, Senior District Manager Abdul ** as well as reaching out to the Corporate office which did nothing more than refer me back to the local level. This organization has unscrupulous unit owners and sales associates that are untruthful and scam renters. A company that pays its CEO $7.5M per year. They condone and embrace policies that permit the company to steal money from their renters. It's sad that they have to resort to unfair and deceptive practices such as this.

Public Storage has so many units and so many properties, grabbing $100+ from every one of those units is more than enough to enrich themselves, but instead they run a highly competitive sales game with districts and regions, and focus solely on the bottom line, which unfortunately, gives them the peace of mind to unjustly screw people. Pete, Phil and Abdul I gave you every opportunity to make this right before writing this. Next is the Consumer Affairs division, the Better Business Bureau and every review site that I can submit this to. I can only hope that this review and all other submissions will reach enough customer base impacting your revenue. You can't treat people like this and expect people like me not to stand up and call you out on it. Fellow Yelpers think twice before dealing with this company.

Illegal business practices. Lien fees applied prior to time promulgated by state law. Even when illegal fees paid, restrict access to unit and personal property. This is in Missouri and I am keen on taking legal action and to pursue remedies available under law.

The manager Dana makes Elizabeth ** acts like she is the manager. You never get an answer because she doesn't know what she is doing and he takes advantage of his position. I went there and Elizabeth is 7 minutes late (I make an appointment for 9:30 AM and she arrived at 9:37 AM). Deal with this people in this life is wrong.

On October 26, 2016... my family suffered a loss beyond belief. At first... I couldn't breathe, I couldn't think, and I couldn't speak. In the evening of October 26, 2016, I went online to pay my storage bill. I was not able to pay the $201.00 storage bill because someone else had purchased the contents of my unit for $901.00. I knew was behind on my payments, but I also knew I had until the 28th or 29th of the month before the auction. I have been paying on the storage unit for 2 years and 4 months. I was told by the Onsite Manager that the auctions are on the 28th or 29th of the month. In fact, I reviewed my payment history online and found that I had made a payment on the 26th in a prior month. I didn't fall behind on my payments a lot, but it happened, just like life happens!

I've had several conversations with the onsite manager regarding the auction of my property. I attempted to recover my personal items... pictures, documents, the art projects my children made for me in elementary school and the like. BUT NO... The skilled VULTURE/PREDATOR brought two (2) Trucks to the Auction. One Truck for my valuables and One Truck for my personal items...a.k.a trash!!! I attempted to find out where this VULTURE took the "trash", as I am more than willing to pick through the garbage to recover even ONE (1) personal item. But no... I have yet to find that out. I'm attempting to find out if this vulture has a Resale Shop or just SELLS my valuable items at Yet another AUCTION.

I cannot get contact information for this person because Public Storage has an agreement not to give out THEIR information. That is troubling. WHY was my full name posted on the Public Storage Website Listing the Contents of my Storage Unit?? It's okay to publish my full name for the ENTIRE World to see but I am NOT ABLE to KNOW who took possession of my personal belongings?? I DO NOT BELIEVE my storage unit should have gone up for auction on the 26th. I Say this because I went online to find some information about the October 26th Auction... I didn't find anything for that Auction...BUT What I Did Find... The auction for October 28, 2016. The DISCOVERY of the Auction posted for the 28th CONFIRMED to me that I am correct in stating the Onsite Manager on several occasions confirmed the auctions are on the 28th or 29th of the Month.

The LOSS of my belongings has BEEN DEVASTATING! This LOSS is no different than... a death in the family!! I have MANY QUESTIONS regarding Public Storage's business practices. DID YOU KNOW... Public Storage in a Multi Billion Dollar Company - they pay their Employee's next to nothing. They the largest Storage Company in the United States. They have purchased MOST of THEIR COMPETITION! I would suggest Public Storage has a monopoly within the SELF STORAGE INDUSTRY. While I cannot get back the Baby Rocking Chair that was my Husband's and my Children's... what I can do is MAKE CERTAIN THIS NEVER HAPPENS to another hard working honest American!! I feel each and EVERYONE'S PAIN who has EXPERIENCED the loss of their belongings through a SELF STORAGE AUCTION. I KNOW that with any death we all find a way to live with the LOSS.

I intend to make changes to the laws... Both Federal and State. This PREDATORY SELF STORAGE BUSINESS MODEL MUST BE STOPPED!! I am just a mother and wife. I have no legal background. But I am smart enough to know when I have BEEN SCAMMED! If you would like to join me in getting JUSTICE ... email me at **. We the people shall prevail!!!

I have been with Public Storage about 6 months. They raised my rent. I pay my rent I'm never late. A good company would wait a year before raising your rent. A customer service representative told me it was the cost of operations is why my rent was raised. I told her "I'm not costing you extra money." She gave me the same answer and would not do anything to make it better. I told her "you raise my rent again I will go somewhere else." She didn't care. The real reason they raise your rent is so they can offer discounts to new customers by screwing over faithful customers. This is bad business.

We rented a unit and we were promised 24 hr access that night. We were locked out and never got to make our first drop-off. We had to have everything out of our residence that night, so we were locked out of the house as well. That first load was left in a pickup truck overnight, got rummaged through, & stuff stolen, and then an early morning downpour destroyed quite a few things. Never received any compensation whatsoever.

Fast forward to today, we had to pay our past due balance by noon. I called all morning, left 4 or 5 voice mails, no return calls. My account online wouldn't take a payment. Finally, my ex who lives 900 miles away and has nothing to do with my account got a return phone call. He tried paying, they wouldn't take it over the phone. But my account online wouldn't take a payment either. I emailed the district manager 11 times with no response. You think they'd want their money. Instead they auctioned off my unit, full of my five children's belongings, irreplaceable items like our deceased parents' belongings, family heirlooms, photo albums, literally my whole life. And they still want full payment. I instructed them to notify the person who bought the unit that the stuff needs to be returned because Public Storage made it completely impossible at every turn for us to make a payment. District manager: Caleb **.

I had a storage unit in Salt Lake City for over a year, dutifully paying my rent each month. When they raised the rates, I terminated the unit. Unfortunately, I forgot to cancel the automatic payment from my bank. When I realized my error, I called Public Storage, explained the situation, and of course was promised that the "check would be in the mail". Fat chance. Two months and numerous phone calls later, I'm still out $51. They knew if they stalled long enough I would give up, and they're right. Apparently their profit margin is quite big enough.

I fell behind my storage rent by 6 weeks and Public Storage in Rancho Mirage, CA sold my unit to a predator auction buyer. My entire family's life was in the unit. EVERYTHING! Every document, picture, clothing, identity, birth certificates, etc. All we have left are enough clothes that we could fit in our car. Unfortunately, I suffered a financial crisis and lost my income and home. Everything went into Public Storage in April of 2016 for only what we considered to be about 1-2 months because I found work and couldn't afford to pay the exorbitant unit rent of $280.00 per month for very long. I moved into storage on a $1.00 first month rent special, plus fees and that was a pretty good deal. Unfortunately, I lost my new job because I fell behind on an old CA traffic ticket payment schedule and the county suspended my license (I was a driver).

I tried to explain my hardship to PS but they are very unhelpful and only wanted to threaten me with sale of my belongings. Bottom line is this: My balance at the time they sold everything in Aug. 2016, was less than two months full storage rent. I asked them to wait because I thought I could borrow money from a friend. In the meantime, my phone got turned off and they couldn't call me...even though I warned them ahead of time and told them to communicate with me via email, since I had access to internet at a friend's place where I am staying. I gave them another friend's phone number so they could communicate with him - since he was helping with payments anyhow.

They sold virtually everything I own...from records to clothing to everything. They called my friend on a Tuesday, warning that they were intending to auction the unit's contents to buyers on a Tuesday. The following Thursday (2 days later), I called them from a borrowed phone and they told me everything had been sold. They rudely told me that they had done everything they could - a district manager, who only knew one side of the story told me that they had 'exhausted every avenue' to help me. This is just a lie. I believe the company is too large and too uncaring and irresponsible to care about their customers.

So, registered firearms and tons of ammo, my deceased wife's wedding rings, all of our family heirlooms, collections, pictures...everything - was sold. A four bedroom home full of an entire family's belongings - a full generation of belongings are gone! I estimate...including collectibles and net worth of the belongings which included my recently deceased Mom's estate were in that unit. To replace the replaceable merchandise in the unit is approximately $100,000. All of the other stuff is priceless. So, anyone reading this can understand what a tragedy this is. All for a rent balance of $600.00 including late fees. It all adds up to about 6 weeks in storage fees. I am 61 years old and cannot recover from this devastating event. I have nowhere to turn. PLEASE BEWARE OF PUBLIC STORAGE!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Public Storage is a global self-storage provider offering facilities in the United States and Europe. Along with self-storage they can accommodate business storage needs and vehicle storage needs.

• Unit sizes: Public Storage offers unit sizes ranging from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 25 feet. The smallest unit can hold the contents of a small room or a large closet, while the largest unit can hold the contents of a 250-square foot business space or up to six rooms. Vehicle storage spaces range from uncovered to enclosed for cars and large spaces for RVs and boats.
  • Moving supplies: If you are in need of moving and packing supplies, Public Storage offers boxes, packing supplies, tape and specific moving kits for purchase. They provide free shipping on orders of $75 or more.
  • Business storage: Public Storage offers various businesses tips and ways to use storage to make operations more convenient. Real estate, office, construction and retail businesses have easy access to units for daily or seasonal needs.
  • Discounts: Consumers can go online for discounts and specials such as $1 first month rent on selected units for new customers and 15 percent off monthly rent.
  • Service areas: Thanks to the acquisition of Shurgard Self-Storage, Public Storage has self-storage facilities in the United States and Europe. Consumers should check the interactive map online to determine their nearest location.
  • Best for Consumers with personal or business self-storage needs, both domestic and abroad.

Compare Self Storage and Portable Storage Companies