3.5/5 (200 ratings)

About Public Storage

Public Storage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Public Storage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Public Storage?

Original review: July 10, 2021

I was treated very professional by Cici and Kenya at public storage in Houston, TX. They are great. I was behind on my bill but they didn't stop until my situation was rectified. I told them what was happening to me and my friend at the time. They figured out a way that I would have never thought of.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

Either I or my spouse-go in person to pay our storage bill each month. Marlena is always friendly and happy to help and I appreciate how she keeps the facility clean. We have rented a storage spot here for years and Marlena is wonderful!

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

Melissa at the Ingram Rd location in San Antonio was cheerful and professional. Thank you for taking the time to see my concerns through the end. I appreciate Melissa's wanting to help me. Please give Melissa a raise!

Original review: July 13, 2021

In 2015, in a bind, I signed a contract with Public Storage with the $1 down for the first month. Although I was not impressed with no climate controlled (gets hot/has pests) and the addition of paying insurance monthly for the unit. To be fair, up to this point my items were safe. Had autopay, no issues and today I’m paying, for the exact same unit, $265 per month!? I think prices even increased during the pandemic. Need larger space for Nana's stuff; decided to move to climate controlled facility on the 13th and Public Storage will not prorate the remainder of the month. Reverts back to that contract! They need regulation! It’s preposterous!! Where’s the customer service? I’d give them the TIP of the 1st STAR if I could.

Original review: July 5, 2021

I rented from a wonderful storage facility (controlled climate) over a year ago. The facility was run by a lovely couple who lived on site and kept the entire storage bldg in immaculate condition. They were wonderful! That is until three months ago when Public Storage bought them out. Since that time the place has become dirty, the elevators have stopped working (I'm on the 3rd floor) and customer service is all lip service. And here it is, three months later, no working elevator, doors wide open so you wonder about the climate controlled conditions and they decide to raise rents! (Public Storage in Arnold, MD). No kidding..this is pathetic and I have NO idea how I'm going to get my stored items moved off of the 3rd floor with no working elevator (not working for the past 3 weeks). So the maintenance goes downhill immediately and they raise rents.

Do reconsider renting from Public Storage because this is an example of how you and your belongings will be treated. You are nothing more than a walking pocketbook that they have their hands in and all the while the facility goes downhill and fast. Licensing agencies need to take a closer look. I'm stuck with no working elevator....

Original review: June 19, 2021

Minnesota Account #**. Illegal demand to vacate. Due to my inability to pay cash, in good faith, offered cryptocurrency in Ethereum. Public Storage did not accept. From the day of the offer, the currency is worth 4 times the amount. I made a promise to pay. They dominated by explaining they would begin auctioning by the 5th of March. Without notification, there was an illegal penetration into my locker on the 3rd of March.

On the 4th of March, I made the cash payment. I have brought Public Storage to court as a witness/second defendant April 20, 2021 **. Since I have made payments 2-3 months ahead. I have not entered the premises since I moved in. I have not contacted Public Storage. My account is paid until August 1st. I have nowhere to put my belongings. Yesterday, I received a phone call from Public Storage. I requested they communicate in writing. Today, I received the phone call again by Manager Ellie and she illegally requested that I vacate.

Original review: June 13, 2021

I just found out today that my storage unit rent increased!! Went from $37 to $74, with less than a 30 day notice!!! I got an email today saying I can pay my July bill and scrolled down to see that it showed $74!!! I thought they had to give you at least a 30 day notice!! Not 3 weeks.

Original review: June 11, 2021

I arrived later than I wanted but within enough time. But there were zero carts, I had to carry things out by hand one by one. That took time. Then the elevators shut down on me at 9pm and still had a couple loads (or about 1/3 a cart if they had one). Hit the emergency call button on the elevator, they for me out, but my storage things were in the hall the floor above and everything open and lock on the floor. I had just moved the contents of my two bedroom penthouse there into their largest unit. Elevator lady did not have a means to contact public storage and I spent 40 mins trying to find an emergency number. A facility in an industrial park where you have valuables about you and no emergency contact info. The system does not warn you you're about to get locked out (or in), it just happens.

Would not not been a problem had they had carts for people rather than expecting people to hand carry. My experience was in Alexandria Va, miles from the capital of the free world. All I needed was someone to allow the elevator to go up one level so I could secure my things. But safety of property, of peace of mind, of life itself apparently is not a concern with the owners of Public storage. Patrick

Original review: May 28, 2021

Extremely unprofessional and do not take care of their customers. They deserve less than a rating of a one. The district manager is even very rude and inconsiderate!! There is a motion light out in the tunnel where my unit is and has been a fix ticket in for now over 3 months, but still had NOT done one thing about it!! Also hung up on me when I had to address the issue again, very unprofessional!! I pay $90 a month to have NO light in the tunnel where my unit is, so pathetic. They don’t care about their customers at all!! Don’t go here!!

Original review: May 19, 2021

I have two units and was paying them on time and in the full amount for quite some time - maybe about a year. I ran into some problems and I am paying the storage fees each month though now it is late. I am now having to use my social security to make the payment and I don't get that deposit until the second Wednesday of the month. Since it's due on the 1st, and even with a short grace period, I'm always late. Their late fees are very high ($44.00 on one, $54.00 on another one). I can't pay next month's rent from this month's SS as I can't get that far ahead.

Public Storage will not change the due date so that it would be after the latest date of the month that I would receive a deposit (which would be the 14th). So every month I'm getting hit with late fees which I can't pay. They did waive this month's late fee on both which was certainly appreciated. When you email the customer service contact listed on their site, they have never answered any question or helped in any way. The reply I get is that I need to call the Customer Service Department. Have no idea who customer service is at the email address for them on the website, but it's not customer service. When I contacted the "Customer Service Department" they basically said "Oh Well - can't help you", brushed me off and ended the phone call.

The woman actually on site at the Public Storage facility is always very nice - both of them are - whenever I talk to them. They have no authority to help, but at least they don't brush me off like corporate does. In the meantime, my locks have been removed from my units and I can not get into them - either to add something or remove something - until the count is 100% paid up to date. I don't know when that is going to be.

Public Storage author review by Jessica Render

Public Storage is a global self-storage provider offering facilities in the United States and Europe. Along with self-storage they can accommodate business storage needs and vehicle storage needs.

• Unit sizes: Public Storage offers unit sizes ranging from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 25 feet. The smallest unit can hold the contents of a small room or a large closet, while the largest unit can hold the contents of a 250-square foot business space or up to six rooms. Vehicle storage spaces range from uncovered to enclosed for cars and large spaces for RVs and boats.

• Moving supplies: If you are in need of moving and packing supplies, Public Storage offers boxes, packing supplies, tape and specific moving kits for purchase. They provide free shipping on orders of $75 or more.

• Business storage: Public Storage offers various businesses tips and ways to use storage to make operations more convenient. Real estate, office, construction and retail businesses have easy access to units for daily or seasonal needs.

• Discounts: Consumers can go online for discounts and specials such as $1 first month rent on selected units for new customers and 15 percent off monthly rent.

• Service areas: Thanks to the acquisition of Shurgard Self-Storage, Public Storage has self-storage facilities in the United States and Europe. Consumers should check the interactive map online to determine their nearest location.

by Jessica Render ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Jessica Render is dedicated to providing well-researched, valuable content designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions they can feel confident making. She holds a degree in journalism from Oral Roberts University.

Public Storage Company Information