1.57/5
Based on 89 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 20, 2018

582 Public Storage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 20, 2018

I have rented a $400 storage unit on November 2016 to put all my old office furniture that I did not need. I filed a bankruptcy on December 16 and I returned my keys. I told them that they could sell my stuff on an auction because I was filing a bankruptcy. You know what they did? They did not sell my stuff, they waited until my Bankruptcy discharge (Feb 18) and they have been trying to charge me $9000 for the last 15 months of unpaid rent! This is the level of people that you will deal with. BE VERY CAREFUL, THEY LIE IN ORDER TO CHARGE YOU HOWEVER THEY CAN. I am going to file a lawsuit.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I arrived at Public Storage approximately 10 minutes from 9 to put a few things in storage for my van. About an hour later I went to leave and I access code would not open the gate. It kept repeating, "Call the office." I called the office. There was no one there. There was a manager's apartment above the office which I kept honking my horn to no avail. I tried going on the internet and find an emergency number and got the runaround. They are irresponsible and I would go as far as saying criminal in their behavior. It is a liability and when I finally did get out hours later only due to the fact that I actually guessed a six-digit emergency code which was unbelievable, I left a message for them before had done that saying that if I was stuck there I would sue them.

The next day I got a call from the manager saying that they want to speak to me as soon as possible and about possible eviction. Basically they're putting their negligence and liability on to me for being there after hours when there is no obvious sign that says you will be locked in if you do not leave at that time. My belief was the gates closed to get in there at 9 since I had outside access. They were rude, unprofessional, and I still have not spoken to them after I called and left a message that if they evict me I will sue them and despicable of a business.

They told me I had a locked-in rate in. When I went there it was Triple the price to move in then what they said, they forced me to get insurance saying that I actually had to. When I spoke to an attorney in California he said, "Absolutely not. They lied to you," and the locks on the units can be pried open and broke with a screwdriver and they force you to buy a lock which you can never use anywhere else because it is a little cylinder lock and you cannot use your own. You must buy one of theirs and it is a type of lock that you would not be able to use on anything else. It is a disgrace. They should be shut down for violations and liabilities and criminal behavior regarding ethics and fraud. I will be speaking to them after the weekend and will update my resolve.

They are absolutely unprofessional, deceiving, and just want you to come there and put your stuff there because they know once people put their stuff there they will most likely not move the stuff out even if they hike your rate every year by 25%. Do not do business with them. And if you have ever been locked in there or had liability issues, consumers we should all get together and file a class action lawsuit and make them pay fines and a large sum so they changed their policies and horrible business ethics and professionalism I've never seen anywhere else. Period.

I will also state the people's names I talk to you in a company after I asked him why you have no emergency working number to resolve these issues because obviously once in awhile this happens and it seems there are many more issues as describe on the internet as far as employees robbing people's belongings, treating them disrespectfully, and talking to them as if they were a little child and these office workers, so-called with no other skills whatsoever other than taking cigarette breaks and giving people keys... And of course last but not least, taking their money, it is the only time I see them smile is when the payment is made.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 10, 2018

PS added an additional month, 103.00, after we complied with all their termination instructions and moved out. We contacted the manager as instructed and he never returned our calls. Now a collection company from India is calling us three times a day and harassing us for payment. No one from Public Storage returns our calls. This is a "move out scam" where PS claims their "move out" instructions were not fully complied with, and, our complaint is their instructions are incomplete and even designed to let them charge another month fee. Total scam...

Original review: May 2, 2018

After only five months of renting, here’s a $22 rate increase. Called in to be told you signed a month to month lease and rates can be changed at any time. Customer service representatives are very rude, if you can find another company do so.

Original review: May 1, 2018

I just got off the phone with a rep who was kind of rude when I was trying to get an understanding of why I was being charged an entire month of my belongings not being in the unit. So yesterday I got off work around 5 and was headed there to take everything out the unit and be done with them because I’ve had nothing but issues with these ** since I started, but it was rush hour traffic and what usually takes me 30 mins to get there, I took me a little over an hour. Doing so I call them and tell them, "I’m taking everything out my unit today and I’m headed there now." She tells me I better hurry before they close or I would get charged for the full month of May.

This doesn’t sit well with me because first off I won’t be there at all in May so why the hell would you charge me for a full month of service. I ended up getting there and removing all my stuff that day. It didn’t take me long seeing how it was just a couch, tables and 1 dresser. So I just called them about 10 mins ago and she tells me that it’s in their company policy that they can do that. I asked for her for to email me a copy of the policy. She got pissy with me and told me she can’t. I don’t know what type of customer service they think they are providing but it’s **! My biggest issue is the fact that they are charging me for a full ** month and my property will not be in there! If you are considering doing public storage for storing your belongings i will tell you not to waste your time nor money on these crooks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Public Storage?

Original review: May 1, 2018

I had my storage for 9 yrs. At first it was affordable but with so many rate hikes it really got out of control. I moved out before May 1 2018. I'm so happy. The staff was very very nice and I was happy but the money each month is not worth it. Please Think Before you Commit. I really didn't have too many problems, but rate hikes are a thing of the past.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I originally started out a $200 for this rental unit 10 x 30 in 2015. It is now April 2018 and my rental just went up to $350. Totally ridiculous. I have gotten rent increases every year. People are renting the same type of unit for less money. How is that legal? I have had enough. I was told I had to pay for insurance. That was a lie. I have yet to be reimbursed for all the insurance I paid after being told Public Storage required me to have it. As you can see on my contract for the insurance there is no initial where box is or what I was paying for. I believe I am entitled to reimbursement for the insurance I pay that I was told wrongfully that I was required to have it. And I really want Public Storage to answer for themselves. Why they are renting out units the same for many different prices? I liked being where I was priced. Really upset to have to move. I just couldn't afford the continual increases and the aggravation it caused.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I've been a loyal or stupid customer since 2005. My fee was 40 or 45 monthly. Today the same unit is 84 monthly. My unit has been broken into. The unit has been soaked from Hurricane Matthew. Rarely do I visit it cause most items were from my deceased husband. My account is debit the 3rd of each month. For April they charged me on the 2nd- which throwed me into overdraft fees. I called on the 3rd and was told it would be returned within 48hrs- I informed the office to stop auto draft and I will go into the office by Friday to avoid late fees. The 191 dollars were returned 4/6. 4/10 they turn around and debit my account for 191.00 after being told to cancel all draft. At this point I am over 200 dollars in overdraft fee. What can I do? My daughter have a unit which all payments come from my account. Her unit has gone up twice within the last 12 months.

Original review: April 11, 2018

In mid-December 2017, I received a letter from my local Public Storage facility addressing their current and most recent rate increase. Withholding personal details, the following is a word for word explanation of their 17% increase!!! "Thank you for choosing Public Storage. As the leader in the self-storage industry, we strive to provide great customer service in a clean, convenient, professionally managed location.

Effective January 1, 2018, the taxes in your county will change from 7.0% to 6.8%, affecting your monthly rental payments. Therefore, beginning with your January 1, 2018 rent and each month thereafter, your new monthly rent amount will be as follows: Rent per month; 17% increase, Move in discount, if applicable; 0.00, Rent tax per month; .02% decrease, Insurance per month; $11.00, Total monthly due; 17% increase.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I was puzzled about everything about this place and the nice young lady name Mekdes at the Hegenberger Public Storage made me feel comfortable and security was great. She took care of me. Made everything understandable. I maybe use this place forever. Thanks for having great people work for you.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I received my second rate increase in less than 15 months. Compares to other storage places in the area they offer nothing to justify the hike. The lights in front of my unit NEVER worked. Even told the Manager 3 times. I finally had enough after the last price hike and removed everything from my unit on 4/1. Nobody was in the office which was fine. I called on. 4/2 and they said, "Oh well you owe for the entire month and somebody IS ALWAYS in the office 24-7." Seriously. Didn't even care why I was leaving.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I have been a tenant at a PS location in Livonia MI for less than 2 years. THIS MONTH is my THIRD RATE INCREASE!! This time it was a 16% rate increase! WHY? Has overhead increased 16%? Taxes? Utilities? HELL NO. It's pure greed. And greed is far, far different than profit. I expect profit to be built into the cost of doing business. But THREE INCREASES in less than 18 months? Enough is enough. I will be vacating ASAP. They can kiss my **!

Original review: March 31, 2018

The rats were terrible. I had so much rat poop that I had to throw a lot of my stuff away and it made me sick when I cleaned it out even though I had a mask on and gloves. Also they changed the access hours so that you could access your unit after 5 or 6 at night no matter what day of the week it was. Early on when I moved in, I had lost my keys and needed to have my lock drilled out so I could buy a new one. I was told I had to have a regional manager drill it out. They told me what day he would be there. But when I went there you did not have the drill with him and he said I had to fill out a form. I filled out the form and gave it to the employee.

And I was told that the next day he would be there, would be the following Monday. The regional manager himself told me that. When I went there that day I was told by the worker that he was on vacation. And then I found out that he told the employee to throw my form in the garbage right after I left. That employee then quit his job. I had to wait then till he got back from vacation but he still wasn't there to drill it out and the employees that worked at that time found someone else to do it for me. I was unable to access my storage for over a month because of this. I will never rent from them again. I was there for almost 3 years. They also kept raising the prices until it cost almost twice as much as I did when I first started.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I was somewhat upset with the policies at your store. If you make a reservation and it’s said hold this unit, you expect the unit. I was told it only holds the price. Why? Make a reservation? Crystal saw I was not happy, but instead of giving me attitude, she stayed positive and upbeat. By the time I left she had me laughing. Sometimes, we as consumers, shouldn’t think that we are a person only customer for the day. Everything is relative. Crystal helps me to realize, that you can take a negative situation and leaving smiling! Thanks Crystal, your friendly and kind demeanor will not be forgotten!

Original review: March 26, 2018

I have two rental units totaling $460/month. The rent is due on the first day of each month. I am relocating out of state on April 7, 2018 and VERY DISAPPOINTED to find out that not only does Public Storage DEMAND full payment for the month with no PRO-rated fee for partial services rendered, they will rent your units out the very next day double-dipping! I was told I could leave my locks on both units for the rest of April, but that I would have to remove them at the end of April...obviously not possible when moving out of state. If I did keep locks on and did not remove them, Public Storage would continue to charge YOU for 2.5 months until moving the account into collections.

Get that! You have to pay a full month's rent in advance on the 1st of each month even though I'm moving out on April 7th and they will rent your unit out the following day if there is a new rental tenant and the only way to keep them from renting out your unit in April is to keep the locks on them and you must remove them at the end of April or continue to pay for 2.5 more months! IS THIS THE WAY TO TREAT A CUSTOMER?

Original review: March 24, 2018

Public Storage has false advertising. They will tell you the special price is locked in and hold your unit for you. Then when you come in at the designated appointment time the next morning suddenly your unit is gone and the price went up $100 that month. Terrible way to do business, you can not trust a thing they say! Horrible customer service the way they treat their customers. I will no longer use them for any storage needs and will go elsewhere. Public Storage is unethical and can’t be trusted!

Original review: March 19, 2018

I rented my space last week and I'm very happy with the customer service at the location I have chosen. The site is very nice kept and Nick the manager at this location is very knowledgeable and courteous, he really made my moving in a very pleasant one.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I relocated my storage from Wisconsin, I was paying $90 for a 10x20 unit for which they never raised my rates. I am now at the Public Storage at 2620 W Lake St in Hanover Park, Illinois. Yes, I relocated there based on the price of course, who doesn’t go for price. I started there Oct of 2017 paying $57 and by February 2018 they already have increased my rate by $18. I’m now paying $75 for a 5x10 unit. When I asked they said they sent me notification in the mail of the increase. I never received it. I think that’s a little high of a rate hike after only 5 months and I’m on autopay so I’m never late. Do your research before renting with this business.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I enter into a contract with Public Storage in Huntsville Alabama on 05/01/2011. The contract stated the first month contract rental was $1.00 and then $75 per month. Payment was to be paid on the 1st of each month but late fees will be asset after the 10th. Well on 5/7/2011, I paid $80.48 for the lease for the month of June 2011. Which place my account a month ahead then I paid the month of July 2011 in June. From that point on my bank had always automatically made payment by 8 - 10 of each month to ensure my payments were always ahead. Each year when there was an increase I would have my bank adjust the payment by increasing the level for the month it was due.

Well, several years Public Storage and I a disagreement as to my payment. Several time Public Storage lose my payments even when they received it, my payments were not credit to my account. I had to file several complaints with the Better Business and provide proof as to my payments. Each time Public Storage promised to correct my account but they failed correct it as they promised. Well, Public Storage in 2015 terminated my code to enter the property. They made the claimed that I failed to pay anything for Dec 2015 which was a lie. I provide proof because of filing a complaint with the BBB. Yet Public Storage did not care. I continue to my payments because of the fact of the property in storage like family heirloom, wife seasonal medical uniforms, very expensive bedding (New), Asian rug, 4 Televisions, X-mas items, dresser mirror, winter clothing, very expensive one of a kind Asian art and etc.

Public Storage and continued to disagree to this date and my bank continued to send my payments. My bank send my payment on 05/01/2017 which was for July 2017 but Public Storage filed a lien on my property even after I file another complaint again to BBB which again went to their corporate accounting office who responded that I was 2-months ahead but the Public Storage where I did business with were responsible as what will be done. Well, my local Public Storage sold all of my property for just over $630 and claimed that they charge $125 for recover fee out of the $630.

The total amount of loss of what they did was $25000.00 plus preventing my wife and I from moving any of our property back in 2015 to the present. They charged late fees when my account was and had always been 2-months ahead. Illegally filing a lien so they can sell my property when they know I was 2-months ahead after I filed a complaint with the BBB. Selling off my property when the payment for May 2017 was for July 2017, thus Public Storage stole funds, so they can sell my property to rent my storage unit again.

My case deals with: Breach of contract, loss of payments, deny of service due to company loss payment, broke promise to correct account when company realized they misplaced of payment, wrongful filed lien against personal property because company accounting error with they did correct, adding late fees because they failed to correct account due to accounting error, personal property sold by company, continued to send payments but company refused to provide service even after providing that I was 2-months ahead. Filed a complaint with the BBB over several years related loss payments. Corporate accounting admitted that I was 2-months ahead but, yet nothing was done to correct my account. Company stole payments without providing service due to their accounting error. Total value of property was $20000. Company sold everything for little more than $625 and even keep all money.

Original review: March 2, 2018

RUN RUN RUN... I've been with them 4 months and they are increasing my rent by $20. My bill was due on the 1st of March. As I'm writing this on the 2nd of March I'm unable to get into the storage. You will regret doing business with this company I promise and the office Manager a mean tired **. She definitely hates her job so she takes it out on the customers. Abrupt, inconsiderate and lie... Whatever you do, don't... You're better off selling your stuff.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Public Storage is a rip-off. I signed a contract with them not even 6 months ago and the price of my unit has gone up by 30%. When my husband and I were doing our research on storage units, of course, pricing was a major factor along with the location. By this drastic increase, this is causing us to relocate and of course, spend more money. I believe everyone should know what they are getting into by other people experience meaning bad or good. Just wanted to warn everyone before signing.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I've used Public Storage in the past and found them to go downhill all the time. My last experience is with one in Tucson, AZ, on Houghton Blvd. Not only is the place dirty, doors do not work properly and to move in and out is an inconvenience. I attempted to move out one day and it took me 1 hour to move 13 boxes due to door problems, no carts around and had to park far away. The doors don't have any way to stay open even for 2 minutes by themselves. I had to make several trips day after day to move out and therefor I had to pay a whole month extra. The people there are always rude. I will never use them again.

Original review: March 2, 2018

NASHUA, NH EXT 8 FACILITY: Place is always breaking down! Mainly the heating and air conditioning. Bldg unsecured because of gate being broken and not fixed for year now and they have the gall to keep raising the rent. Managers uncaring and very belligerent when I ask when the problems will be repaired. Place hardly ever cleaned. Trash piled up in bathrooms as those managers sit in their air-conditioned office. We had one hot tempered manager kicked out. Definitely use another storage facility.

Original review: March 1, 2018

My rent increased 25% after 5 months! When I inquired, I was told they have no policy on how much, how often or when they increase rent! UNPROFESSIONAL. After I signed the rental agreement I realized that the gate was broken. I was told it had been broken for months. I then found out that the rear door was literally off of the hinges and left open for any animal or person to enter. This was an unsafe environment for personal belongings as well as my person. I asked for a manager's name/number, but there was no answer and NO ONE RETURNED MY CALLS! Finally after 4 months they repaired the broken door and gate and NOW THEY ARE INCREASING MY RENT BY 25%! OUTRAGEOUS!

Original review: March 1, 2018

I've had the storage unit 4 months and they are raising my rate from $171 to $196 with 30 days notice. Yes, I know it's within their right, but $25 seems very excessive. I'm out of the country so there is nothing I can do but pay. I wish there were a discount for long term storage.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Strongly recommend that potential storage unit renters NOT use the Webster, TX, Public Storage facility located off of highway 3. I rented a unit for my daughter for 9 months (May 17 - Jan 18). My daughter used the unit when she moved away to complete two internships. She did not remain in the Webster - Houston area while her things were in storage. When I went to vacate the unit I noticed that the door was falling apart and that there was a large gap between the top of the door and the ceiling of the unit (pics attached). I brought the deficiencies to the Public Storage employee's attention and asked to speak with the district manager. The district manager, Ms. Sonja **, refused to speak with me.

I emailed my complaint with pics to the DM, asking for some remuneration given that I paid full price for a dilapidated unit. The DM never replied to my email, but called several weeks later after I called the unit employee multiple times. The DM thanked me for letting her know of the problem, but said she "would not" give me any rebate of the over $550 I paid for a sub-standard unit. My daughter called the Senior District Manager, Ms. Stephanie **, several times and only able to leave a voicemail. The SDM has NEVER returned my daughter's calls. Poor management, poor service, sub-standard product. Pay a little extra and go somewhere else.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I rented a small unit at the Public Storage located at 5342 E. Mockingbird Lane in Dallas, TX. The young woman behind the counter told me that insurance was required. This significantly pushed up the rate of the unit. She didn't mention to me that I could have bought my own. I found that out many months later. The price Public Storage was charging for the insurance was far higher than what I could have purchased elsewhere. So I dropped the insurance after I found this out by going into my account and opting out of the coverage.

A few days after I opted out of the coverage I received a letter from Public Storage notifying me of a rate increase up to the amount I was paying WITH the insurance. So they simply decided to push up the rate to keep the extra profit coming in. So I've decided to end the unit and make space in my home for my storage items. This is ridiculous. From the lies they initially told me to get me to opt into their sky high insurance coverage to the sleazy move of suddenly hiking my storage rate when I opted out. I will never do business with Public Storage again.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

My belongings have been stolen out of my storage unit by the employees. My high school diploma, college degree, foreign currency, business portfolio, passport, birth certificate, photo album (have no idea why they would want that), painting, bar-b-q grill, a box of dvds and cds, clothing iron, winter comforter, canopy and exclusive playing cards. This is just what I noticed. There's no telling what else they took.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

First Class service in matters of Public Storage Facility questions and assistance was provided today by two superb individuals, Ms. ** and Mr. ** (a.k.a."Sal"). I have very rarely encountered such outstanding concern, immediate response, and professionalism. A very hearty "Bravo!" to Supervisors Sal and Allison!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I started renting from PS in 2012. My unit is a 10x29 and I started at $350 a month. Since that time it has soared to $510 a month. There are months when I cannot afford to pay and it goes past the 10 day grace and they add $76.50 late fee and I end up paying almost $600 just for storage! One month I paid on the 31st 3 minutes after 5 pm and they still cut my lock and put a lien on my unit with an auction date. I had 10 days to come up with $1200 so they didn't auction off all my belongings. I highly recommend you go to a smaller storage company that isn't run with rude, uncaring staff.

Public Storage expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Public Storage is a global self-storage provider offering facilities in the United States and Europe. Along with self-storage they can accommodate business storage needs and vehicle storage needs.

• Unit sizes: Public Storage offers unit sizes ranging from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 25 feet. The smallest unit can hold the contents of a small room or a large closet, while the largest unit can hold the contents of a 250-square foot business space or up to six rooms. Vehicle storage spaces range from uncovered to enclosed for cars and large spaces for RVs and boats.

• Moving supplies: If you are in need of moving and packing supplies, Public Storage offers boxes, packing supplies, tape and specific moving kits for purchase. They provide free shipping on orders of $75 or more.

• Business storage: Public Storage offers various businesses tips and ways to use storage to make operations more convenient. Real estate, office, construction and retail businesses have easy access to units for daily or seasonal needs.

• Discounts: Consumers can go online for discounts and specials such as $1 first month rent on selected units for new customers and 15 percent off monthly rent.

• Service areas: Thanks to the acquisition of Shurgard Self-Storage, Public Storage has self-storage facilities in the United States and Europe. Consumers should check the interactive map online to determine their nearest location.

• Best for: Consumers with personal or business self-storage needs, both domestic and abroad.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs