3.0/5 (214 ratings)

About Public Storage

Public Storage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Public Storage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Public Storage?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

I used to use Public Storage all the time with no problems. Less than two years ago I rented a unit for $88 dollars. Now my rent is $166. Plus the customer service has been horrible. A few months ago I couldn’t pay online. I reached out and the rep. just gave me a number for a higher up that never called me back! I had to keep calling over and over until someone actual tried and did help me. I tried to get in contact with them on their Twitter page regarding my concerns. I was sent an email for additional assistance. A month later I was still waiting for a response. When someone finally responded they just said get a smaller unit. If you have choices don’t use public storage.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

We have used Public Storage for years. They have consistently raised our rent, multiple times a year. So often in fact that we had to get a different unit inside the same property to stay on budget. Then more recently we needed a much bigger unit because we were moving, and since Public Storage was the only local place we had no choice but to get a different one - though at a different property. Way overpriced for a 10x20, but during the pandemic you have no choice and are lucky to even find a space.

While moving we had to find yet another storage unit and found one at an Extra Space location close to where we were moving to. When we completed our move and vacated Extra Space we asked if they could prorate our rent because we had just paid a week earlier and they were more than happy to, knowing that during this time they would quickly rent the unit again. When I asked Public Storage for the same consideration, since I had paid my rent ONE day before vacating, they denied the request. The managers at Public Storage locations are bound by corporate and cannot do anything to make a customer happy.

The corporate office will just ignore any requests you make of them. Public Storage is an exceptionally greedy company that will use any excuse to raise your rent and get out of reimbursing you anything. Avoid at all costs. Go to any other competitor and support local storage units when possible - at least they will care about their customers instead of fleecing them.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2021

She is the most helpful employee they have at her location and if you call with a problem she’s gonna do all she can to help and I really appreciated that. Because when I first got the storage the person wasn’t helpful and really rude

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

This sucks you in. They give you a big discount at first then in 6mths raise your rent and again at the 1 year mark. So not get fooled by the discount. There are many other storage companies, do not rent from this one!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

I rented a storage unit from Public Storage BOCA Raton fl, 4 years, Penny from their office, went above & beyond to always assist me ~ right up to the end of me using their services. Thanks so much Penny. ♥️ Dawn

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

Vanetta helped me a lot and made things so easy. She was also sweet carrying smile and a great woman in my opinion so if you are ever looking for a storage go to Public Storage on Applegate Way in Clarksville Indiana and ask for her.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I had an issue with an auction one of their locations had and explained that I thought they were deceitful in the pictures they put on the auction site. They only showed the front of the antique piano and neglected to show the inside of it was destroyed. I believe the site was just trying to get it hauled to the dump at someone else's expense. Upon contacting their corporate office I learned there is no department in charge of their business operations conducted in the field. I refused to haul the piano off and the manager said, no problem. It has not been re-listed so I guess they hauled it to the dump. They black-listed me from their Storage Treasures Auctions listings for not cleaning out the unit. The only email reply I received was from email support and they didn't route my concern anywhere. I invite anyone to try to contact them. If you aren't wanting to rent a storage unit, forget it.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

WORST experience EVER!!! 1st of all I prepaid for a unit and the day before I was supposed to move in the manager told me my unit had water damage, so she had to move me to another location down the street. I understand things happen, but I was charged again for this new unit and now they’re giving me a hard time about the refund for the old unit that I never used… And on top of that, the old unit was supposed to be $148 but this new unit is $174. I was told by Teresa (Property management) that I would only be charged $148 but my account still says $174… I have been on hold waiting for customer service to pick up for 30mins now because for some reason I cant get a hold of Teresa. This is a disaster, I just want my money back and to be charged the correct monthly rate. And customer service just answered my call and transferred me to a voicemail after waiting 30mins for someone to pick up…

(UPDATE 2 MONTHS LATER) They still haven't refunded the money from the unit I never used which was $200, and when I went to pick up me things on Sept 4th they said I owed $159 for those 4 days when I was told it would be prorated. I refused to pay it because they still owe me $200 and it's ridiculous to charge $159 for 4 days. I called the corporate office and customer service, and left several messages. I was suppose to receive a callback within 48hrs. No one EVER called me back. Instead they sent the remaining balance to COLLECTIONS stating that I now owe $198!!! THIS COMPANY WILL RIP YOU OFF!!!! STAY FAR AWAY!!!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

I paid for a unit 2 days in advance. I still do not have a gate code and it is almost midnight, so I cannot get in thru the gate tomorrow with my belongings. They make you select a date to move in yet won't give you a key code until the last minute. Well for me they failed to give me the key code at all. Terrible company. I feel so ripped off. In addition, they said first months' rent was $1. They charged a $25 fee, plus the $1, plus insurance plus a $20 lock fee for a total of $61. And then said I would be billed in two weeks again. Worst company I have ever dealt with.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

We rented (1) storage facility in Mebane, NC. The salesperson stated there was a glitch in the computer system and the first swipe of my credit card didn’t go through. I subsequently paid a second time by check. The next day we found out the sale DID in fact go through so we were charged twice. We have been relentlessly trying to get our money back ever since and literally been sent to fake voicemail boxes. Emails, phone calls repeatedly go unanswered and into the abyss and no one will return our calls or help us in any way now that they have our $$! They effectively stole from us. Now the company changed hands and we can’t track down any of the original people we dealt with. Seems like a huge scam. BUYER BEWARE!!!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

03-31 Makaila ** rented storage unit F54 at Public Storage located at 8601 East 67th Terrace, Kansas City, MO 64133-5671. 05-18 Makaila was in a terrible car accident on highway 40 and Denton in Independence, MO. The car accident killed her mother and broke every bone below her neck except her left arm. The keys to the unit were lost in the accident and never recovered. The accident resulted in a very lengthy hospital stay at Truman Medical center. During this time her father and I were unable to obtain any form of power of attorney due to her age, state of mind, and heavy pain medications that she was taking. The storage bill remained paid and up to date during this time.

08-01 I physically went into the location and paid cash to change the lock and for rent for the month of August. They stated they would call us when the lock was switched so we could get her and her mother's belongings. We called them a few times and it was not done. They assured us that they would call once it was completed.

09-10 Luke called Makaila to advise that storage was past due. She told him we paid over a month ago to get the lock changed so we could remove her and her mother's items. He stated that the lock was changed on August 24th but we had to pay for sept before we could get the contents. I called Luke and explained the gravity of the extenuating circumstances and that the contents were the last of her deceased mother's belongings and asked if there was any way that we could just come the next day and pick up the contents. He stated he would call his manager and call me back. I still have not heard from him. 09-13 Luke called to advise the storage was past due and she asked what she was supposed to do being crippled and having no more money. He stated he was just letting her know.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

Well my original storage was far from my home but it was top notch! Very secure with cameras inside the doors so I felt very safe for myself even. But like I said it was far. I decided to switch to PS. I wasn’t even there 3 months before they raised the rate. Then of course with Covid I just stayed put. Then I get a call the other day that my storage was tampered with. Of course I had the best lock but guess what? Locks don’t matter here. They took off the door! And my unit was in the back next to the freeway. The only thing there is a wire fence.

When PS replaced the door they didn’t even bother to put a lock on my door until I could get out there. Then they give me a piece of handwritten paper to contact the police. Nothing about the time of the break in or what their camera’s picked up or what the police told them. I don’t feel safe there and I don’t want what’s left of my possessions there. Sometimes you have to go farther or pay more to get quality service. I really regret moving my storage. You can’t put a price on peace of mind! (By the way this is the Burien, Washington location closer to the Ross store! Beware!!!?)

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

Public Storage made a charge over $50 to my bill. I have been trying to get a copy of the bill or speak to a live person. They have been running me. I have been a loyal customer for a year. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

I’ve been storing items in a PS unit for over a year and a half without incident until last month. I opened the unit to find out it had been overrun by rats. They destroyed some furniture by chewing holes in it and urinating and defecating on it. I have had the Orange Door insurance from the beginning, so I took inventory and photos in order to file a claim. The final damage tally came out to around $1,100. I filed the claim only to be told today that OD insurance only pays up to $250 for vermin damage.

I’m not going to sue them over $1,100, but what I am going to do is, move to a different facility this weekend. They’ll lose several thousand dollars of revenue from me over that. Secondly, starting with this post, I’m going let everyone know how OD and PS treat their customers. I’ll post on social media and other review sites. Also, our neighborhood participates in the Next Door web platform which covers several thousand households in our region of the city and is excellent for public service announcements. I’m going to post this in the open forum every so often to warn my neighbors. Even if those posts keep two or three people away from PS, that will mean that much more lost revenue for OD & PS. Congratulations OD & PS for being such cheapskates that you drive away customers and potential customers.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

I was/am on autopay with this company. However, my banks (I have tried two - Ameritrade in the US and Millennium in Portugal) try to pay Public Storage, and they don't post the payment. Evidently they have to do it manually. I have talked to them, begged them to take care of this since I am paying on time. Nothing. They are charging me late fees, telling me I can't be on autopay, telling me I have to pay manually by phone every month. I tried that but the same thing happens - they don't post the payment!!! I am in Portugal! They don't do e-mails. They don't respond to any of my phone messages - generally don't answer the phone. They are the worst company I have ever worked with. I wonder if they are a scam and just don't want to accept my payment either so they can collect late fees or they want to take over my space and sell the goods inside.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

I paid my rental storage charges in full and on time. I moved out one week later and Public Storage refuses to refund my overpayment or even reply to my letters. This location was not air conditioned and my items were damaged with rodent urine and feces. I rented this unit for about 2 years only to be treated like this in the end. As a military veteran and loyal customer, I feel betrayed by Public Storage. My rates were increased constantly. Public Storage refuses to refund my 3 weeks of unused rental. A zero rating is appropriate. Stealing from customers during a pandemic is deplorable!

U.S. Military Veteran

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

Public Storage rates go up every 6 months, so if you start off at 91.50 for the smallest room, your payment rate will increase every 6 months. You can never talk to anyone, about anything because they NEVER CALL YOU BACK. SO if you have a problem with your Storage or some simple questions, don't expect a phone call back. Even if you leave your Name, Phone Number and the reason you are calling. It is not worth it paying for increase payment and you gain nothing from it. Your Storage don't get any BIGGER, the value of your insurance say the same (2000) Even if you have 5,000 dollars of valuable in their Storage. It's not worth it. They just take take take money and you can't even ask why, or Talk to anyone. The only time you talk to someone, is when you are trying to get a Storage. After that GOOD LUCK.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

Be forewarned that whatever introductory rate or free months you receive at the start are automatically increased over the course of the year resulting in a huge increase from where you started. My last bill after about a year, was for $336 when I started out at just over $200.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

I keep getting "Gate Closing" messages from Public Storage recently, which insinuates that I'm at the facility every night right before 9pm, at which point gate access is closed. Not only do I have no reason to be at Public Storage at that time, I have no desire to do so. Also, I'm getting these messages between 1am-2am, which is strange in itself. Someone (could be a PS employee) is somehow using my account to remotely open and close the gate, making it look like I've been there every night (which I haven't). I've been accused of loitering due to those messages by an employee at the facility. Who do I speak to in order to prove my innocence from this loitering accusation? Thanks, in advance, for your (hopefully helpful) responses.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

I do not recommend storing here. This location has thrown away my items before, when a security breach happened and they took it upon themselves to believe it was "just junk". I was moved then into a new multi unit grouping, where I was locked access from many times, once for a few weeks because of "security" concerns.

I tried talking to the manager, recieved excuses for not being present to unlock the door accessing my storage (during normal business hours), and lecture on tone... which I did have because after years of being locked out and having my stuff thrown, you bet I'm upset. That call resolved nothing but a "if you don't like it then you can go ahead and vacate". When I tried to contact the corporate office, nothing. They don't answer their support line. After 3 email attempts I finally got an answer, very unprofessional response, but beyond that, still not addressing my concerns. I will be vacating and found a better company to store with.

Original review: July 13, 2021

In 2015, in a bind, I signed a contract with Public Storage with the $1 down for the first month. Although I was not impressed with no climate controlled (gets hot/has pests) and the addition of paying insurance monthly for the unit. To be fair, up to this point my items were safe. Had autopay, no issues and today I’m paying, for the exact same unit, $265 per month!? I think prices even increased during the pandemic. Need larger space for Nana's stuff; decided to move to climate controlled facility on the 13th and Public Storage will not prorate the remainder of the month. Reverts back to that contract! They need regulation! It’s preposterous!! Where’s the customer service? I’d give them the TIP of the 1st STAR if I could.

Original review: July 10, 2021

I was treated very professional by Cici and Kenya at public storage in Houston, TX. They are great. I was behind on my bill but they didn't stop until my situation was rectified. I told them what was happening to me and my friend at the time. They figured out a way that I would have never thought of.

Original review: July 5, 2021

I rented from a wonderful storage facility (controlled climate) over a year ago. The facility was run by a lovely couple who lived on site and kept the entire storage bldg in immaculate condition. They were wonderful! That is until three months ago when Public Storage bought them out. Since that time the place has become dirty, the elevators have stopped working (I'm on the 3rd floor) and customer service is all lip service. And here it is, three months later, no working elevator, doors wide open so you wonder about the climate controlled conditions and they decide to raise rents! (Public Storage in Arnold, MD). No kidding..this is pathetic and I have NO idea how I'm going to get my stored items moved off of the 3rd floor with no working elevator (not working for the past 3 weeks). So the maintenance goes downhill immediately and they raise rents.

Do reconsider renting from Public Storage because this is an example of how you and your belongings will be treated. You are nothing more than a walking pocketbook that they have their hands in and all the while the facility goes downhill and fast. Licensing agencies need to take a closer look. I'm stuck with no working elevator....

Original review: June 19, 2021

Minnesota Account #**. Illegal demand to vacate. Due to my inability to pay cash, in good faith, offered cryptocurrency in Ethereum. Public Storage did not accept. From the day of the offer, the currency is worth 4 times the amount. I made a promise to pay. They dominated by explaining they would begin auctioning by the 5th of March. Without notification, there was an illegal penetration into my locker on the 3rd of March.

On the 4th of March, I made the cash payment. I have brought Public Storage to court as a witness/second defendant April 20, 2021 **. Since I have made payments 2-3 months ahead. I have not entered the premises since I moved in. I have not contacted Public Storage. My account is paid until August 1st. I have nowhere to put my belongings. Yesterday, I received a phone call from Public Storage. I requested they communicate in writing. Today, I received the phone call again by Manager Ellie and she illegally requested that I vacate.

Original review: June 13, 2021

I just found out today that my storage unit rent increased!! Went from $37 to $74, with less than a 30 day notice!!! I got an email today saying I can pay my July bill and scrolled down to see that it showed $74!!! I thought they had to give you at least a 30 day notice!! Not 3 weeks.

Original review: June 11, 2021

I arrived later than I wanted but within enough time. But there were zero carts, I had to carry things out by hand one by one. That took time. Then the elevators shut down on me at 9pm and still had a couple loads (or about 1/3 a cart if they had one). Hit the emergency call button on the elevator, they for me out, but my storage things were in the hall the floor above and everything open and lock on the floor. I had just moved the contents of my two bedroom penthouse there into their largest unit. Elevator lady did not have a means to contact public storage and I spent 40 mins trying to find an emergency number. A facility in an industrial park where you have valuables about you and no emergency contact info. The system does not warn you you're about to get locked out (or in), it just happens.

Would not not been a problem had they had carts for people rather than expecting people to hand carry. My experience was in Alexandria Va, miles from the capital of the free world. All I needed was someone to allow the elevator to go up one level so I could secure my things. But safety of property, of peace of mind, of life itself apparently is not a concern with the owners of Public storage. Patrick

Original review: May 28, 2021

Extremely unprofessional and do not take care of their customers. They deserve less than a rating of a one. The district manager is even very rude and inconsiderate!! There is a motion light out in the tunnel where my unit is and has been a fix ticket in for now over 3 months, but still had NOT done one thing about it!! Also hung up on me when I had to address the issue again, very unprofessional!! I pay $90 a month to have NO light in the tunnel where my unit is, so pathetic. They don’t care about their customers at all!! Don’t go here!!

Original review: May 19, 2021

I have two units and was paying them on time and in the full amount for quite some time - maybe about a year. I ran into some problems and I am paying the storage fees each month though now it is late. I am now having to use my social security to make the payment and I don't get that deposit until the second Wednesday of the month. Since it's due on the 1st, and even with a short grace period, I'm always late. Their late fees are very high ($44.00 on one, $54.00 on another one). I can't pay next month's rent from this month's SS as I can't get that far ahead.

Public Storage will not change the due date so that it would be after the latest date of the month that I would receive a deposit (which would be the 14th). So every month I'm getting hit with late fees which I can't pay. They did waive this month's late fee on both which was certainly appreciated. When you email the customer service contact listed on their site, they have never answered any question or helped in any way. The reply I get is that I need to call the Customer Service Department. Have no idea who customer service is at the email address for them on the website, but it's not customer service. When I contacted the "Customer Service Department" they basically said "Oh Well - can't help you", brushed me off and ended the phone call.

The woman actually on site at the Public Storage facility is always very nice - both of them are - whenever I talk to them. They have no authority to help, but at least they don't brush me off like corporate does. In the meantime, my locks have been removed from my units and I can not get into them - either to add something or remove something - until the count is 100% paid up to date. I don't know when that is going to be.

Original review: May 8, 2021

I rented four Public Storage units six months ago. I used the autopay for all four units. All was well until this month. Public Storage decided to change a security setting on their website (and didn't bother to let customers know until way too late). All of a sudden, my autopay was cancelled and I was told my bank was declining my payments. This was not the case. I literally spent six hours on four calls to "customer service." Every single time I was told it was "fixed" and my payments would be correctly debited. Every single time it was not "fixed." Finally, I went to the Public Storage location and was told, again, that it was "fixed." I was also charged $60 in "late fees" even though I was not the reason for the late payment.

The very next day, I get a text from Public Storage saying my payments were due and I was going to be charged late fees because of it. My autopay was cancelled for the third time. Another 90-minute call later, I'm told it's "fixed" again. I sincerely doubt it. All I know is that I've lost $60 and I keep getting increasingly rude calls/texts/emails saying I'm not paying my bill. I can't get my items out of these units fast enough. I'm ready to pay over $1,000 to rent a moving truck just to get away from this terrible company.

Original review: May 7, 2021

Public storage increased rent by 20% after 4 months and another 20% 9 months later. A whopping 44% in just over a year. It feels like they are taking advantage of people not being able to move storage units. I do not recommend them to anyone!

Public Storage Company Information