1.33/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 7, 2017

541 Public Storage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: June 24, 2017

Each and every month our price was raised by $18 to $30. On top of that when we ran into some serious medical bills we called the district manager to inform him that we needed just a little more time. He NEVER returned the call and we received the only call 19 hours before our unit was auctioned off for a paltry $900. Our $40,000 worth of merchandise went for $900. No concern about this on their part. This is bad enough but the district manager had THREE WEEKS to call me before doing this. He ignored that purposely. Public Storage is simply the WORST COMPANY IN THE UNITED STATES and I have been around a long time to see what's out there. AVOID Public Storage at all costs. There are much better and much more economical independent choices.

Original review: June 23, 2017

I have been a customer of this company for over twenty years, but let me tell you that they have become incredibly greedy. Stay away. I can't wait to move my property to another company. I have called the managers number to only get a recording, never to receive a return call. The people at the local site are nice but the people that control the prices are evil. A rating of one is an overrating for this current group of managers. STAY AWAY, FAR, FAR AWAY!

Original review: June 19, 2017

Made online reservation 6/18 for smallest unit at 75.00/month. Public storage adds $24.00 administrative fee, $20.00 for a lock, takes money on 6/19, then prints an agreement for a $93.00/month fee. I objected to the extra $18.00/month. The "manager" was obviously inexperienced, said there was nothing he could do. I called customer service, was told "manager" should call District Manager. "Manager" said he had no number for DM, would not call. I insisted and when new customers came in, he miraculously produced a number for DM the I should call (outside so other customers wouldn't hear). No answer, no call back, of course, so I cancelled the reservation but was charged 25.95 to do so.

Meantime, doors were locked while new customers were shown units. However, on return, he did not unlock the doors, although he saw me outside. A potentially new customer arrive at locked doors, saw him in office, and eventually left, saying, "Tell him he just lost another customer.' When I finally was allowed in again, "manager" said he thought the man was with me and didn't want a scene. My refund, same day, had a 25.95 deduction, unexplained. I feel totally ripped-off.

Original review: June 15, 2017

I have placed 4 calls to corporate regarding an auto payment that couldn't be stopped in time after we moved out causing me to get charged for an extra month. They don't return calls, there's no customer service supervisors available when you call and when you leave a message you don't get a call back. They have a "we can't do anything about it" attitude and pass you on the next person.

Original review: June 15, 2017

I've been using them for almost 4 years, with modest increases. They just raised my rent from 102.00 to 149.00 starting July 1, 2017. Where do they get off with such a large increase? I'm pissed off and they can get away with this? Where are our elected officials? And how come public storage needs to increase so much? Their overhead has not changed. Sounds like corporate GREED!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Public Storage?

Original review: June 13, 2017

I recently retrieved all my items from a Public Storage facility in Nashville, TN. I was surprised and upset when I found my belongings to be damaged by water and improper climate control. I write this review to WARN others!!!

Original review: June 13, 2017

Public Storage never sent me a certified letter or made any type of contact notifying me that they were going to toss my belongings in their on site dumpster. I never received a late bill or notice. I phoned Public Storage customer service and was told to call the on site manager who tossed my stuff. That lead nowhere. I literally had to crawl in the dumpster and retrieve my belongings. A lot of the stuff was damaged and stinky from being in the hot dumpster. Isn't there laws about this? I would not recommend Public Storage!!! A serious rip off!!!

Original review: June 7, 2017

Public Storage is definitely a rip off. I first started at 116 then it kept on climbing until past 218! I am now scheduled to move and they said they don't prorate and I have to pay for the entire month even though I am moving mid-month. How can a company do this to people? They should have a reminder or disclosure upon signing the contract that you will not be reimbursed the storage fee if you move out past the 6th day of the month. I will not ever use these crooks again. They rip off people and the storage facilities are not even well taken care of. How can we people get our hard earned money back? Anyone else got ripped off like this??

Original review: June 7, 2017

Public Storage has a policy of charging a late fee on storage rental bills that are paid after or on the 7th of the month. Today is the 6th of month and I have tried all today to pay my bill online before the 7th of the month to avoid this late charge. First, I called their customer service number to pay over the telephone to save a little time. After spending a while listening to prompts from a machine I learned that they charge an additional 10.00 fee to pay over the telephone with a credit card. Second, I attempted to pay online with their website where I am already registered with an account but this did not work either because the computer saved user name and password would not log onto their site.

Finally, I attempted to reset the password through the website at least 7-10 times and it would not send the code to my email to reset. Well tomorrow is the 7th, the late charge now applies and my final option is to go to the location to pay the bill in person. I would have done this today if I had not spent so much time trying to pay this one bill today. I guess they want to force you to use their autopay system so that their almost monthly increases can be taken automatically. I am going to solve this by just getting my things out of there. Greed at a new level!

Original review: June 6, 2017

I checked around and got a 10 x 15 unit at a Public Storage Facility in Ledgewood, NJ paying $149 a month. Lo and behold 6 months later they are raising the rent to $180 a month, a whopping 20% increase. I called the company to complain and see what they could do to lower the bill and they told me that this is what they do every 6 months to 1 year. They have a "pricing committee" that decides how the prices should be increased and they do so accordingly. Therefore you are NEVER locked in to your rate. BEWARE.

Clearly, I did not do my homework on this and did NOT expect an increase like this. What a racket this is. I would be VERY careful about this place and I would not move your stuff here thinking you are going to get the current rate they are offering for any length of time. What a joke. They offered moving me to a smaller space and I said if I wanted that size space I would have taken it from the beginning.

Original review: June 3, 2017

Public Storage is a huge ripoff. Rate increase of over $30 in less than 6 months and now we will be paying almost $300 for a unit smaller than the average bedroom. They lure you in with $1 first month when we ended up paying over $100 for the first month. False advertising like this should really be illegal. They don't tell you about overpriced mandatory "insurance" you have to purchase. How I wish I had picked a different storage facility or even PODS. Unless you have money to burn go any place other than Public Ripoff err Storage.

Original review: June 3, 2017

I have had a 10x10 storage unit for past 26 months. My rate started at $169 and now 26 months later it's $344. Last month I went online to pay my storage and it was already paid. Found out they turn on my auto pay so I turned it off again. This month it's back on and my bill was paid. This company is hog. Remember pigs get fatter and hogs get slaughtered. Cleaning out my unit this month.

Original review: June 3, 2017

Rented a unit on Union Hills rd in Phoenix in Dec 2016, my monthly rent went up by $41 in one shot by June. Their excuse was that operating costs went up. I asked to speak with a manager and was advised by Roxanne at customer service that it would do me no good. I will avoid this company in the future and would advise others to do the same.

Original review: June 2, 2017

I have been renting from Public Storage off and on for almost 7 years and 3 different states. My complaint is with the one in Renton, WA. I have been renting a unit for almost 2 years and in that time they have increased my rent twice... each time by 26.00. The unit is not one their best. It rains here in Washington almost continuously during 10 months of the year. Our unit does not have a gutter, so there is always a waterfall over our door when it rains. This waterfall prevents us from entering our unit unless we want to get soaked and have all our belongings soaked.

This price hike is going to lose them our business. As soon as I can remove my stuff out of the unit I will be done with them and we will spreading the word to everyone about how bad this rental place is. I have an accounting business and I do a lot of business with other business owners in the King and Pierce County area. So word will spread quickly. My account is under my daughter's name and she is removing her stuff from the unit also.

Original review: June 1, 2017

Please be aware of the untold contract agreement such as prorated charges. I rented my unit from May 15 to May 31 and I went to the office to close my account June 1. Now they are telling me that I owe $70 for prorated charges. I pay for a month up front. No wonder why they have a 1 star rating. I wish I would have read the reviews before signing a contract. Hope these reviews help other people in the future. Stay away from public storage.

Original review: June 1, 2017

Please be mindful of your stored property. According to my understanding there are cases in which people are actually/literally staying in the storage unit!!! Last year on the "emergency" stairs I got into a half naked street/homeless woman. I've never taken the stairs again and I've always waited for the elevator since then. This year it seems one moved into one of the bins... also a bin in the row. I walk to my spot, started smelling after sounding like something is inside eating chips which makes you wonder if some rats have a nest there or if a pet is actually stored there!!! After a short time I had to go out and it took me two hours to clear my airways of that stench. I am terrified to tell the employees there. They have a style to turn the matter against you. Moreover, even in the contract they claim they are not responsible for any safety aspects. The police sends you to the manager.

Original review: May 30, 2017

In Vero Beach Florida on US1, the assistant showed me a small unit. There were giant ants crawling down from a trap-looking ceiling. And like others who have complained, the cost went from a 50% discount to added administrative fees, insurance fees, taxes for each of the fees and taxes on the cost of the unit. $20 quickly turned into $65. But the next suspicious catch was that she asked for my driver's license and contact information Before telling me about all costs and had me sign it. When I said I wouldn't take the unit after hearing all the fees, she refused to remove my information or destroy my paper that I signed. Seemed shady. I wouldn't trust them. She seemed at a loss for words when I said I was going to compare prices with other storage units. She was dazed after that. Thank God I didn't take their insect infested storage unit.

Original review: May 26, 2017

Public Storage is a scam. Their advertised prices do not apply towards the storage unit once you reserve it. You will get an email days before your scheduled rental starts informing you of a price change. Also, be aware of the units and water damage. Some of their units leak water. This is a problem that has not gotten fixed.

Original review: May 24, 2017

Paid $167 for a storage unit. My storage needs changed within three days. Requested a partial refund for unused storage time - wasn't expecting admin fee, insurance, or taxes back. They refuse to refund any of it - except the lock. The unit won't even be used. Very money hungry company and not customer service friendly. Be cautious when dealing with them. Based on my experience with them, I'd consider another storage company.

Original review: May 22, 2017

On May 6th, 2017 I went to the public storage facility to put something in my travel trailer camper. I discovered that the trailer had been stolen, and that the property manager hadn't even bothered to call me. The camper was later found destroyed. The office manager staff have provided very conflicting information. The regional and district managers have been callous and indifferent acting as though this is normal, another day at the office.

Original review: May 13, 2017

Went to rent a climate-controlled unit in St. Louis, MO based on the "15% off per month" prominently displayed on their web page. When I got to the location, right off the bat they tell me, "Based on our current demand we're not currently doing that promotion." Fine. Then there is the mandatory $20 lock purchase "to ensure our stuff is safe", not mentioned anywhere on their website. Then there is the mandatory insurance, also not mentioned anywhere on their site. I guess the unit itself was the last straw - for a "climate-controlled" unit, it looked exactly like one of the outdoor units with a building shed built over it.

So much false-advertising and bait-and-switch - no way would I ever give them any of my money. Instead we found EZ Storage. Way, way nicer climate-controlled units, no mandatory lock or insurance fees, they even have a large truck you can rent for $10 and best of all... less expensive than the base rate at Public Storage. That's before getting 50% off the first two months as part of a promotion they're having. It was like a night-and-day comparison.

Original review: May 13, 2017

I have used this facility in Rochester, NY for almost 2 years and each year they go up on the rent but the service is lacking. The problem I have is when I began renting at this location they offered a secured facility where in order to get inside you needed to put in a code to open the gate. Here is the problem, the gate has not worked since about a month after I signed my contract. At first, I thought it was temporary and since I hardly ever needed to go there I never noticed. Lately, I have had cause to drive that way and began noticing that the gate is left wide open all night. Not only is this a problem for my belongings, it is also a safety issue, anyone can walk or drive in there and break open the locks and take my belongings, not to mention someone can hide in those units because they are not locked either.

So, I called the corporate office who told me to contact the local office. I did this and was basically told they rent spaces and the security of the gate had nothing to do with my rental cost. They added that they had gotten some estimates, after 2 years, but didn't know how soon the gate would be fixed. I was given the number of the district manager to call, I left him messages and he never took the time to call and respond to my grievances. As a company which provides a service he at least owed me the courtesy of a return call. To date, I still have not heard back from him.

It's easy to say if you are not happy with them just leave but leaving means having to pay additional money for a truck, finding someone to help you move and my time. Just fix the gate, you owe that to your customers and while you are at it, secure the doors leading into the units and put stoppers on the doors so we don't have to find something to hold the door while moving things in or out of the unit.

Original review: May 7, 2017

We rented a unit about 6 months ago. Only one light was working in the unit. Property manager was notified. Fast forward 6 months, our rent goes up $30/month AND now all lights in the unit are out. We had to get on a ladder and change out a set of bulbs ourselves to see. The other fixture was broken. Property manager AND Corporate Customer Service was notified. Customer service rep basically said too bad about rent and he would contact property manager about light issue. So we are paying more for our unit plus doing some maintenance.

This company does not care about their customers. I will be sure to tell everyone I know about the horrible experience I had with this company. They absolutely do not care. Your stuff is in their facility and they "have you". We only have a few more months until our new home is finished and we will no longer need the unit. I don't think I could go through finding another unit and move my entire household again that is why I am sucking it up. I wanted everyone else to know what a horrible company this is and if there are other options for you, use them. I think anything would be better than this.

Original review: May 7, 2017

Public storage in Auburn Washington is also horrible. First my family lost stuff due to a fire and water damage and only given 1 day to remove our stuff and also move what we could salvage to another unit and then that other unit I just found out was infested by rodents. My stuff was safe (no food) and not a problem with infestation the whole 5 years I had it in the previous unit, but the outdoor ones are infested and was told by other people down the same aisle as me that they were moving out and lost their stuff for same reason when I was there today.

Storage didn't let us know they knew about the problem to ask us to come check our stuff or anything. Rats had all winter to nest in there. They also will not help with removal of my items or help me by getting us a dumpster so we can toss our stuff. I am disabled and have no help or real physical ability to safely take care of my items now. They could at least help with removing my items since I've payed them to pretty much let all of my stuff go to hell anyway. Storing your stuff at Public Storage is about as good as just leaving your stuff at the side of the road.

You may as well just take all your stuff to the public dump and get it over with sooner and with paying less money. I actually care less about compensation for my stuff than I do with needing the help to safely remove and dispose of my items now that they are trashed anyway. BTW, even if your policy says it will cover fire, water damage, they will not cover it if caused by another resident (IE: someone smoking while on property) and Public Storage will not take any responsibility if it's not electrical damage by faulty wires. They also will not consider case by case basis to let you use their dumpsters in cases where it is totally their fault the infestations are not controlled.

Original review: April 22, 2017

Watch out for up-charge gimmick! I received an email that said my total move-in charge would be $73. When I go to move in, I am told that I have to buy their lock for $19.99 (mandatory). I am also told that I have to buy their mandatory insurance for $15 per month. I am also told that I must pay a "one time" Administrative Fee of $24... then, to top it all off, I ask if I have to worry about rodents chewing up my stuff, and the manager acts like that was the dumbest question she ever heard. "It's Florida and your stuff is stored in an outdoor metal shed... what do you think?"

So, the following day, I call corporate and ask if I can be moved to a climate controlled unit that will be rodent free (my stuff is worth $4,000). His response was that I could, but I would not get credit for the $107 that I paid for the first unit, and I would owe them an additional $170 for a smaller unit. I think this company is the worst rip-off outfit I have ever dealt with. Think about it before you give them your hard-earned money!

Original review: April 21, 2017

The Public Storage located at 1062 St. Johns Place in Crown Heights Brooklyn, is the worst! For starters, their staff is very rude. On Friday, April 21, 2017, at 12:33 pm, my mother wanted to use the restroom before we went to our storage space. A staff member stormed passed us with an attitude as we attempt to ask her about using the bathroom. I said, “Hello,” she never respond and slammed the bathroom door in my mother's face. Secondly, the storage area lacks ventilation, lighting, air conditioning in the summer and heat in the winter and they have a rodent problem. Thirdly, my mother complains that she dreads going in to pay her bill because they always have an attitude so now, she pays her bill online.

Original review: April 20, 2017

I had recently lost my job and my payments became accrued over time, next thing I know have to pay $1700 just to get my stuff out! I'm so upset that I will lose everything. I spoke with the Property Manager and she told me, "you can make partial payments". I said, "even if I do that I will never catch up". My auction date is 6/20/17. I still am unemployed till this day. I'm trying not to worry too much because I suffer from mental illness. I have been working at bars just to make ends meet. But they don't care. I will never go to Public Storage again! :(

Resolution response: May 4, 2017

Corporate from Public Storage called on 4/20/2017 to resolve my issues and we work them out. Thank You.

Original review: April 19, 2017

Before I got the storage I called and ask if there were any other charges beside the $1 and $24.00 Administration fee for the first month rent. Was told no. Was not told about the prorate of $76.00 after that. What I did know is that I would pay $190.00 after the first month March 20th-April 19 and on the 19th I would pay the $190.00 which would take to May 19th. When went in the storage talk to Nichol, She handed me the papers. I proceeded to read them and Nichol said that is what she was going to tell me about. What was in the papers and she never said anything about the prorate charge for April 20th-30th. Then you pay again on May 1. Please be very careful this company is very deceitful. Ask plenty of question before renting.

Original review: April 12, 2017

Rented unit from 2300 Purdue Ave in W Los Angeles for three years and recently had a water leak, mold and rat dropping issue. The manager ** did not help with situation and was very defensive leading me to believe they have other leaks. She did not offer anything like boxes, new unit and kept saying it was not their problem. After waiting three hours to get another unit because computers were down and she did not want to deal with the issue and helped other people while I just stood and waited. Asked to speak with her supervisor and she called him leaving a message. He never responded back. I called and left several messages for the district manager for a week and still waiting.

I moved my stuff into a dry unit for a few days while a went through my items and there was a break-in on the first floor. The tenant asked ** if there were other units broken into and what about the security cameras and she would not answer the question getting real defensive. We looked at other units and they looked like they were broken into because they had new locks on them like the tenant's unit would. Then on top of $10,000 in water damage to my belongings that they will not address and won't return phone calls, they charged me $130.00 for the unit I had to move into for three days because of the water leak in my old unit. The building is in disrepair and they will not respond and return phone calls.

Original review: April 6, 2017

Disappointed about the unexpected rate increase to monthly bill. Convenience & location is ideal for local homeowners. This facility (Hopewell Road, Louisville, KY) was originally built & constructed by a local privately owned company and has since been bought out by Public Storage. You can certainly tell the difference in the way the two entities conduct business. I wish the original company stilled owned the property. They were focused more on the customer as opposed to the stock price/investor.

Public Storage Company Information