1.1/5 (63 ratings)

About Extra Space Self Storage

Extra Space Self Storage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Extra Space Self Storage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Extra Space Self Storage?

Original review: June 15, 2022

I got a storage unit in March at a comparable price to other storage places. I was drawn to this one because of the raving reviews. The move in process was easy, and for the most part I was satisfied with the unit, however 3 months later I got a notice in the mail that they're doubling the price of my unit. I spoke with Christian, the storage manager, on the phone who explained to me that the demand has changed and now the price is changing as well. I explained that I was very disappointed. He offered a $3 a month decrease, which seemed almost like a slap in the face. It felt to me that the company attracts the customers with lower rates and then doubles the price whenever they feel like it. It is extremely disappointing and I would not recommend this arrangement to anyone. UPDATE: the corporate reached out to me and offered half a month off. Sigh...

Original review: June 13, 2022

I cannot warn people about this company strongly enough. Choose any other storage option. They are criminals. After two years, I am now paying TRIPLE what I began paying. The company clearly takes advantage of the hassle that moving would be and the scarcity of storage options in this neighborhood. Do not believe the low rates you are quoted. The hikes begin in just a few months.

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 11, 2022

I’ve had a unit for over a year with them where I had my card on file and automatic payments were taken with no issue. Then for 2 months I was unaware my payments weren’t getting made. They make no contact with you and according to customer service they don’t have to but will sometimes do so as a “courtesy”. So for that time you’ll accumulate all these other fees and Then you can’t make a partial payment! What a joke of a company! What type of company wouldn’t inform their customers about a payment being late? A company that just wants more money out of you in the form of fees! On top of that they constantly raise unit monthly fees but have no problem contacting you about that ha! Save yourself a headache with them! They don’t value their customers to even offer any compromise or solutions. Got my stuff from my unit and will no longer deal with this company.

Original review: May 28, 2022

I have only been renting my unit for almost 4 months. I pay $123 a month and just received a notification that it’s going up to $208. That’s an $85 increase and why? Because they think people are just suppose to take it? No I’m not! Now I know why I see so many people moving out. This company is trying to rob good people that just want to rent a unit.

Original review: May 15, 2022

Originally rented in Feb. 2021 for $85. Unit is now $156. Ridiculous. After the first couple months it's increased every single month. Most recent increase was almost $50!!!! Do not rent from them!!!!

Original review: May 15, 2022

I have rented a storage unit with Extra Space Storage for almost two years. In that timeframe, they have increased the monthly charge four times to more than double what I was originally quoted. They also had a pipe burst at one point and I am now learning just how badly some of my property was damaged and warped from the water. This was not visible at first. I was told that they had a pipe burst and to check my things but the water was gone when I arrived and they had fans going. There were no visible signs of damage at the time of the pipe bursting but now there is visible damage from the wood being warped. I will file insurance claim but with the prices they charge which is higher than average. This company is not worth the price.

Original review: May 14, 2022

While the facility itself is nice, temperature controlled and clean, I will warn you that they are a bit sleazy. I signed my contract at an industry standard price right before coronavirus hit. About a year later they raised the price, which of course I expected a slight increase. Price increase with inflation is normal. But they didn't just raise the price a couple % to adjust for inflation. So how much did they raise it? Did they raise it the 25%? 50%? No! 94% price increase! THEY ALMOST DOUBLED IT! Literally almost double!! In a world where people are struggling as they are, it shows a company's true colors when they take advantage of people like that. I would avoid Extra Space Storage at all costs. Go with one of the other popular companies that lock in price. Extra Space Storage doesn't.

Original review: May 12, 2022

I came to Chile to care for dying mother, so rented storage in Avon, MA. I was late on 1 payment so they charged as though 2 payments late + preforeclosure fee (contract says after 2 months late) & set date to sell my things. Do NOT sign contract clause that says you cannot use lawyer to represent you!

Original review: May 10, 2022

They trick consumers to move in cheaper prices for your first month and raising the rent unlimited as they wish. When you sign on the lease agreement, it’s e-signing on a signing pad so you won’t have a chance to read it or understand it fully. They raised my rent monthly for 40% and I'm trying stop their unethical business through BBB as well as the city of San Diego locally, and the state of California. Please be careful if you’re going to rent an unit!

Original review: May 7, 2022

We believed that our things were going to be safe there, but a lot of my things were stolen in Charlotte, NC. I was in contact with the manager Harold ** on a regular basis & we trusted that he was being a great manager. When we moved our things to California, that's when we noticed a lot of my nice things were missing.

Extra Space Self Storage author review by Jessica Render

Extra Space Storage operates self-storage facilities across 38 states and Puerto Rico. They offer various storage unit sizes as well as storage for small to large vehicles and boats.

• Unit size: Extra Space Storage offers unit sizes ranging from from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 30 feet. This is equivalent to the size of a small walk-in closet to the size of a one-and-a-half car garage. They also offer enclosed garage style parking to protect vehicles as well as outdoor covered or uncovered parking.

• Moving tips: Consumers can find online moving tips via informational videos or guides. Planning tips include information on downsizing, staging your home for sale and hiring a moving company. Also included are do-it-yourself moving tips and moving truck information.

• Discounts: For people moving themselves, Extra Space Storage partners with Budget Truck which offers a variety of trucks and vans. Consumers can call their toll-free number online to reserve a truck and save up to 20 percent. If people rent for a year or more they can receive the 13th month for free.

• Storage lease: Storage leases are offered on a flexible month-to-month basis or a long-term, prepaid, yearly basis. Insurance is required for each unit rented. Monthly payments can be made on-site, online, by phone or by mail. Upon vacating the unit, consumers need to give a verbal 2-day notice or a written 15-day notice.

• Service areas: Extra Space Storage operates in 38 states and Puerto Rico. Consumers can go online for a breakdown of cities and which units are available in each city.

by Jessica Render ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Jessica Render is dedicated to providing well-researched, valuable content designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions they can feel confident making. She holds a degree in journalism from Oral Roberts University.

Extra Space Self Storage Company Information