Extra Space Self Storage

Compare Self Storage and Portable Storage Companies

Research top Self Storage and Portable Storage Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I called the national number to inquire about spaces, availability, pricing, etc. They asked if the phone I called from was a good callback number. I said it was not (last thing I want is to be on marketing lists and that wasn't my primary phone). Toward the end of the call I was again asked if the number was OK to use. I again said no. To my surprise, a few minutes later I get a call from the local site following up on my call to the national call center. So my number was in fact stored. I asked the local site to take that number off their system. Later that day I go to the local site to reserve a storage space and that number was STILL on their systems. Finally it's off, I think. This disregard for privacy outweighs any of their core business pluses and minuses.

I paid my account a few days late in March (March 27th). On Saturday, April 8th at 9:30 a.m. I got a call from Matt at Extra Space in Coral Springs stating because I was late I owed a late fee. I said no problem just tack it onto the following month. He told me he did not cash my payment and I had to pay the late fee. I told him I did not have a problem with that, however he should cash the check. I also told him why are you calling me at 9:30 on a Saturday. He said he tried to contact me but I did not receive any e-mails from Extra Space. I told him I wanted to talk to the manager Patrick and he said he would have him call me.

I called Matt today, April 12 and stated Patrick did not call me back. He said Patrick no longer had that storage area. He told me it was a company policy to not take the check if the late fee was not paid. I let him know I was going to talk to the corporate office because he was not making sense. I have not been up to the storage, however I guarantee that I have been blocked out. I will be looking for another storage but first I must send a complaint to the Better Business Bureau.

April 11, 2017. Their branches in Orange County, CA are understaffed. E.G. - 511 S. Grand Ave., Santa Ana, CA branch: Currently only 1 staff member there; just the Asst. Manager. - no onsite Manager, no janitor or Maintenance person; just 1 person doing it all while gate hours are 6 am to 10 pm. People (renters and none-renters) unlawfully live inside rented and vacated storage units, living inside units for months, before any complaint to Extra Space management is even looked into.

There has been an ongoing rodent problem there at this facility for over 1 1/2 years. Areas at facility's outside units stink of feces and urine from people dumping human urine there that dump in front of other people's rented storage units and urine dumped in the roadway in front of outside storage units. This facility was managed and maintained better when a manager named Chelsea worked there. She did regular patrols and kept druggies, squatters, low lives & rodents away or at bay. Good renters are getting their belongings contaminated by horrible odors from mice feces and urine, and by human urine waste improperly or unlawfully disposed of there. The urine odors do not come off everything - especially the rubber items, papers and likewise items. Your belongings get corrupted, contaminated and some of your belongings have to get thrown away. Extra Space isn't reimbursing for your losses.

The gate hours of 6 am to 10 pm is allowing squatters and low lives, especially when a facility is understaffed or if the employees don't do their job or care about people living inside storage units there. Renters' rent payments dropped off in mail slot have been known to mysteriously disappear, never to be found. This causes ID theft worries and a person forced to close bank account (s), plus the expense of ordering new checks to new bank acct.

Contacting corporate office is a waste of time. When you ask for Legal Dept., the response is "there is no Legal Dept.". The same scenario when you ask for Customer Service or to speak to anybody in authority there. You get the response "I'm sorry but nobody here can speak with you and you cannot leave a voice mail, nor do we have any email address or phone number to give you to speak to anybody in authority here."

Wish I knew this 2 years ago when I spent close to $2,000 moving a house and garage full of stuff into storage units at Extra Space. Years ago Extra Space was a defendant in a class action. That should have been a red flag. Now my belongings are imprisoned in the storage units because the human urine dumpages smell so strong outside the units' doors. The urine odors contaminate &/or destroy your belongings if you open your unit doors and expose them to the urine odors outside your door. I would not recommend this storage facility to anyone. It's all about Extra Space having deaf ears, giving deceptive ads and false promises, and making money off the public, to keep their shareholders happy.

Extra Space Storage bought my facility from a different owner. Ever since they did it has been a horrible experience!! I hate this place! There is no customer service!! Employees are like robots programmed to say a certain thing. They took away trash cans so no place to put trash! I call to pay my bill and most times no answer and when I go to facility they say, "Sorry I was helping someone." I have been at this facility for 8/9 years... it's time to move on.

I lost everything because of Extra Space auctioned off my life. I lost everything because of Extra Space auctioning off my things. Then to add insult to injury they said nothing personal was in there to be returned to me. I lost car sales, documents, my social security along with everything belonging to my children, their social security cards, their pictures and classroom arts. I lost so much and they had absolutely no compassion. I'd like to think those are personal items and important. They are the worst.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Extra Space Self Storage?

I rented a new storage unit whereas I was to move our belongings from an existing smaller unit (same site) into the larger unit. I am moving to Buford from Flowery Branch, GA and imagine my surprise when I arrived with the U-Haul full of belongings from my home and found locks on my unit. I paid for this unit 4 days ago. It is after hours and of course the office is closed tomorrow. Called all of the 800 numbers and a supervisor was consulted and it as stated by the person who answered the call that there was nothing that could be done about it.

I have a U-Haul I have to unload back into my garage tomorrow and pay close to $200.00 for the vehicle and absolutely did not get to move or utilize my rental unit. I will empty out the smaller unit and definitely move everything to another business. Maybe I can work something out with U-Haul tomorrow. There is no way to contact email or call anyone in a situation like this. I did not go through this with the smaller unit. I was never told I had to come in during office hours to pick up any keys to locks that would be placed on an empty but rented unit. Incredibly terrible business and a big loss to my pocket book as I might have to have two trucks now to make the big move to my new home this coming weekend.

I rent a storage space. It works well for us. It's a good service. Price is a concern, it's a good trade off. My belonging are safe.

We rented 2 spaces from Extra Space which we intend to have for quite awhile and it wasn't very long (soon after signing up) before we got a surprise rate increase. When we questioned, we were wasting our time because the answers were all B.S. After pressing, they gave us a small discount. Now I'm concerned that they will soon raise the rate on the other unit and keep jacking up both rates. Make sure you set your deal before moving in.

Extra Space Self Storage has absolutely no security at all. Our RV was vandalised and broken into twice in three months. They refused to call the police so we had to wait at the lot for 4 hours. They have a large secure gate at the front to give the illusion of security but not even a fence at the back. They will not hand over security camera footage, are unhelpful and rude and your vehicle is not even slightly safe left at the Dallas location.

This business was advertising storage space units that are advertised as 15 x 10. Upon arriving I discovered that the units are 14 x 9. I confronted the manager about this and he was not the person who set the prices. I went on vacation and came back eight days late to pay my fee. I discovered to my surprise that I was charged a late fee not as a flat rate but a percentage. So in other words the more money you spend the higher your late charge. I find this to be very dishonest as they lied to me about the square footage when I found out later that actually the manager was the one who set the prices. And why is there not a flat rate for late fees? Because they are crooks they don't know how to do an honest day's living so they steal it from their customers. Renter beware. If you enjoy being screwed then this is the place for you. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

When I rented my units they were owned by another company. Extra Space Storage took over. I have had my belongings in 4 of their units for 4 years now at a rate of over $550 per month. When I went to check on my furniture and household goods I found there had been rats in 3 of the units and I could tell they had eaten some of the stuff. I was not able to get to all of my stuff to check everything. Along with that there was water damage on several boxes and furniture was totally ruined. The lady who works there gave me rat poison to put in the units (obviously must be a recurring problem to have it on hand). She asked if I had taken out their insurance (which I had not). She said there was nothing she could do.

We rented another unit to move some boxes. We are in the process of building a house so have nowhere else to put anything. She said we should move our stuff to another unit. My husband and I are in our late 60's and cannot physically move everything ourselves or pay someone else to move it. It has been a horrible experience and I would encourage anyone who has an option to rent from someone else to please do so. We have had family heirlooms destroyed and are now renting 5 units at a rate of $667 per month and destroyed furniture.

Extra space storage bought my location from another provider. Keeping in sync with all the other customers, totally agree how bad it is with these people. Every month they deface my lock with stickers. What the hell does this have to do with renting a unit. This is not their lock. I don't deface their property. Have asked them to stop continuously. Called corporate headquarters and was dismissed and hung up on. DON'T RENT FROM THESE HORRIBLE PEOPLE.

Kathleen contacted the week before the auction to let me that there are no partial payments and I was going to auction Tuesday. I didn't receive a certified letter but I had a letter in the mail from last month that asked me to sign off to abandon my storage. This was the worst storage ever. I've never lost a storage unit until now. You're not allowed to make any partial payments which I tried to do and they said no. One month I was $3 short and they made me go to the gas station to use the atm. I requested to get back my personal information and only my kid's items; I haven't received anything yet. My son is epileptic and I have his records in there; that's heartless. I even called the corporate office and they tried to stop the sale because I had money pending and asked for 1 more day.

I have rented a storage unit at Extra Space on market st in Ventura CA 3 different times. The first time was great. I had no problems whatsoever! The second time started out great. I rented my unit, paid upfront for 5 months and 3 months and I get a letter saying I'm behind on my rent. Went into the office, got it all squared away and the next month I get a phone call from the manager telling me he was giving me a call to see if I wanted to pay my bill before the auction started! I explained everything to him and he told me they don't have record in the computer and in order to keep my unit I'd have to pay. So I told him I'd be right over. I get there and the lady working in the office made me wait till after the auction before she would accept my payment and yep, you guessed it, my unit was the last unit auctioned!!! Of course I raised hell. Both employees lost their jobs but that didn't get mine and my kids' entire lives back!!!

Gave them another chance only because it was the only place with a valuable unit in town and a month in my unit gets broken into then the door spring breaks, comes slamming down, hits the ladder that my boyfriend is standing on, he falls, has to go to the hospital (still has problems today from his injuries today). The manager took a report but never reported it to the proper department then refused to let us empty our unit, refused payment and threw all of our belongings in the trash!!! They are crooked as all hell and do anything they can to get out of taking care of their responsibilities!!!

Extra Space Storage is not consistent with both their message and with their accounting practices. One manager will tell you that as long as you make your payment by the 36th day, you won't be assessed the foreclosure fee of $85, yet another manager in the same facility told me that the payment would need to be made before the 36th day. Not to mention that the 4 day grace period is not considered to be part of this 36 days.

I've received a rate increase twice since November 18, 2015 and was never notified. Customer service told me that I would need to be at least two months behind before I would see any kind of notice, however, 36 days past due, I was assessed a $85 lien fee that is "mandatory by the State of Georgia", yet I can't seem to find anything on the State of Georgia's website addressing this mandated fee. I would not conduct business with Extra Space Storage if you are in the market. Please research and review other companies, save yourself from this unethical and dishonest business.

Customer Service is a 1 out of 5. Overall satisfaction 0.5 out of 5. Extra Space Storage lures you in with their 1st month free gimmick. They know that once they have you in contract (and your belongings in their control) they've got you!!! The average self storage customer probably ends up utilizing the service longer than anticipated, which they count on. But that's not all!

The 1st month pays for itself in costs the company is not forthcoming about. Walking in (thinking you have done your shopping around for prices), you will pay initial setup fees, taxes, and insurance you did not anticipate. Try to make a payment online and the system may tell you that you have a zero balance. That happened to me. Called again a couple days later and the system tells me that on top of the $364/month charge, I have incurred $49.80 in late fees. So from walking in thinking the 1st month is free and my monthly payment is $320/mth. I pay $365/mth or $413/mth in extra charges. At a corporate level, I find their technology highly suspicious. At a local level, the store rep says that they do not waive late fees -- ever. Personally, I prefer to do business with companies that value both their customers and integrity A LOT more than Extra Space Storage.

This company is disgraceful. During my initial inquiries, the (800 number) telephone rep lied and said there would be on-site management 24/7. That was a lie. I learned that the hard way when I tried to access the unit after hours on Day 1. At sign-up, the on-site rep said none of the units on the side I preferred had lighting, an outlet, or running electricity, but silly them, they inadvertently gave me a unit on the side I preferred that had both lighting in the unit and an outlet outside of the unit. More lies. It is a shame that people work hard for their money and companies like Extra Space Storage takes it so easily. When you think of Extra Space Storage, think, Extra [Fees] Storage.

I've had a storage unit for five months and this month I noticed that more money was deducted out of my account than usual. I called the facility to see why and was advised that rental fees increased. I asked why hadn't I received notification or anything and was told a letter was mailed to me last month... I never received a letter... I also asked if everyone's rent went up because I have a friend who rents there as well and didn't experience this problem. I was told reason being because I reserved my unit online and price usually increase every 6-9 months... Really? I could have gotten a larger unit for the price I'm paying... Ask questions before renting from this company.

I have used rental spaces for the last 20 years and this is by far the worst one of all! I have never had a rental space raise rates without a first letting the customer know about the increase. I have never had a business charge me a fee but I'll even tell me what the fee for until I have to call and ask them myself. I paid with a money order and a money order somehow was an issue with the money order so they charge me a late charge, and the cost of the money order without alerting me beforehand. Beware of Extra Space Storage in Kensington Maryland. They charge of overage fees and raise rent without notice! You're better off going someplace else.

After checking out other storage facilities and talking price and size, I settled on Extra Space in Los Alamitos. Very helpful, affordable. Answered all my questions and not in a hurry. Excellent service with Mr. **.

I called this company because we were flying out of Phoenix back to Canada for Christmas. I was told by the representative that they had space and it would cost us $83.00 for the month. She told me that she would send the information to the storage place and she would guarantee room and price and I needed to call the storage company 2 weeks before I needed it. So exactly 2 weeks before we wanted the space I called the company and the man I got in touch with ** said he had space but he would not honor the price I was given. This price was quoted to me 2 days ago. I would not recommend this place at all. Not when they don't honor what they say. This company is located at 3636 East Washington in Phoenix Arizona.

Extra Space Storage constantly raises your rates. They get you in on a lowball offer, and after you were they in their six month they raise your rates, and they continue to raise your rates every six months. And when you call them to complain they basically tell you to blow off, because that's the going rate. When you talk to a manager and managed to get your rate lowered back to the original quote, they do not fulfill that promise and continue to charge a higher rate. They are horrible at returning phone calls and the horrible customer service.

This place under new management is worse than ever. Don't bother to call corporate. Left messages for almost a month. Finally heard from Roz ** who told me that they send everything back to the DM. She typifies the company's attitude. Rude and disinterested. Why would I want to continued to talk to the same person, when I'm not getting anywhere.

The mgr. Susie informed that a male customer on my floor asked her my name. Although I told her not to she did anyway. What kind of woman does that? This claim is made under I. Malicious Mischief. Adjective is injurious. Extra Space staff had every opportunity to rectify the problem when the renter moved out. They were well aware that he had indeed moved out. I overheard Celine talking to another renter saying they knew he'd moved out. He apparently had moved the first of September. I began seeing roaches in the hallway. If they made their rounds they saw them too. Why didn't either of them investigate where the roaches were coming from? They had inherited a facility that had no roaches. There was clear evidence that roaches had become a major issue.

Four things could have happen: They made the daily rounds and did not care. They didn't make the rounds. They wrote down that they made the rounds. But they actually didn't. They opened the previous renters storage unit and didn't want to tackle the clean up job themselves. All or any one of these reasons created Malicious Mischief, on the part of Extra Space employees. OTHER FACTS: THE ELEVATOR BREAKS DOWN ALL THE TIME. ON THE WEEKENDS IF THEY'RE NOT THERE YOU'RE OUT OF LUCK.

8/21/16 Stopped by ESS to pick up a script and other notes I needed for a meeting that afternoon. There was a sign written on 85-11 sheet of paper on the elevator that it was not working. Warren must have put it there. It was the weekend he worked. When she Susie left her apt. she had to seen the note. Apparently she left with no alternate way for customers to access their units. Called the call center and was told by someone named Cynthia told Susie couldn't be disturbed. Really ticked off.

Texted Celine to see if she knew where Susie was. She didn't know that Susie had told call center that she was unavailable. She said it was weird that I was told that. Asked Celine for Michael's number to call about the constant elevator breakdowns. She told me call the call center and demand to speak to him. I called the next and got a rep. named Jamal on the phone. He said he could leave a message. I left my contact info. Never got a call back.

A couple months ago Susie informed that a male customer on my floor asked her my name. She said she didn't tell him. I said I don't want a strange man to know my name. She said she didn't give it to him. However when she was removing the red lock from his door she spoke to me and then called my name and smirked. My brother is sheriff's detective. I also know a few cops in the area. I told them about the incident. They ALL give that worried look. They know when a man asks for a woman's name he is trying to familiarize himself with her. This guy is married. Why in hell does he want to know me. PERHAPS THE BEST QUESTION WOULD BE WHY ANOTHER WOMAN JEOPARDIZE MY SAFETY. That in itself is malicious. Had I wanted him to know my name I would've told him myself. I believe she did this to retaliate for me calling Michael.

When I filed the claim I finally heard from Michael. He said it was true that Susie didn't do any kind of work after hours. That there were liability issues if she did. Then we got to the unnecessary roach infestation. I told him that I filed under the Malicious Mischief because Susie was pissed off for me calling him. And that the guy had left at least two weeks prior. I also told him that I overheard Celine say they knew the guy had moved out. Since they knew why didn't they do anything? The infestation was evident. They were everywhere. I have included a Google drive link of 10 videos of the infestation and clean up related images. Michael said they had to file paperwork etc. That it took a couple of days. It might have taken a couple of days. NOT A COUPLE WEEKS. I sent Susie text messages re: the problem. She never responded.

Again I called the call center and asked for the ESS insurance company that I was paying to cover my belongings. I called Beecher Carlson and asked for a copy of the policy. Apparently Extra Space collects your premiums, but they don't want the insurance company to pay out. I checked out the insurance company on the better business bureau site. They have a C-. Extra Space has an A!!! I don't how that could be. They have less than 2 stars on this website - ConsumerAffairs.

Michael and I settled on two months free. But after the new issues I DO NOT WANT THAT. I ONLY MY $3000.00 from my insurance policy. The situation is now untenable. They have now set out to make the two months impossible. Last Saturday I was taking a bag of trash to the garbage dumpster. Celine was leaving. But when she saw me drop the bag at dumpster. She jumped out of her car yelling and screaming in front of another customer, that there was no dumping there anymore. I reminded her I was not dumping. She yelled that she was going to charge me. I told her to charge Michael since he was giving me the 2 months. By the way there was no sign on the dumpster. I have a video clip which shows other trash by the dumpster. Apparently that customer wouldn't be charged. Just me. I don't like people yelling and screaming at me when I pay for a service.

10/19/16 I had barely got on the property when Celine was sitting in her car. She said Susie needed to see me. I told her that I was tired of the constant harassment. Again she was yelling and screaming something. I kept walking. I sent Susie text and told her in the future to put into writing anything she wanted to tell me.

I had a morning meeting so I crashed at my storage. Later at about midnight Susie and her boyfriend knocked on the unit door. So now Susie and her boyfriend's liability doesn't count. He doesn't even work for ESS. And they their kid home alone. Cause I heard her tell him to go back downstairs. She told me that I had to leave. I tried calling Michael's cell. No answer. Tried to leave messages. Couldn't. Both she and Celine knew I sometimes crashed there. There was a guy who kicked the elevator door and dented it. Celine said in front of a temp or guy from another Extra Space, as they were reviewing the video tape, that they let him stay there.

Susie was pissed because I filed my claim. She said I should've told them about the problem. Well I did tell them. I HAVE THE TEXTS TO PROVE IT. But they were so busy being nasty they ignored my requests. She called the cops. I could've waited on them. But I left. THEY BOTH KNEW. The next afternoon as I was entering the property, again there's Celine sitting her car laughing and pointing at me. Apparently Susie showed her the video of me the night before. All three of these occurrences with Celine are on your company's security cameras. Knowing these two they probably uploaded to some website. Is this the kind of behavior that your shareholders view as ESS having a good crew of employees? Hollywood has a number of challenged individuals. These two are instigators. I fight by writing letter etc. Others don't.

The facts are these issue were totally avoidable. The text messages I sent to Susie were never answered. I have those on my phone. I happened to be leaving my unit when Susie and 3 cleaning women from Leon's Cleaning Service showed up. When they opened the door the roaches leapt out and out onto the woman who opened the unit door. She said, that Susie should have called her earlier. I came back just to check on what kind of cleaning they were doing. I met two of the women on the elevator. They were going to the office. At one point a cleaning woman states in Spanish/translated in English: "I have to close my mouth before I eat them. This was an epic infestation."

At the end of the video where I am filming the amount of junk etc. and talking to another cleaning woman, you hear Susie saying, "please Michael pick up." Obviously the cleaning ladies (Leon's Cleaning Service) had told her that they would have to charge more for that kind of infestation. That Saturday (9/24/16) at 9 a.m. I unpacked everything in my storage unit. Box by box. Roaches were spread out like a blanket in the bottom of my boxes. There's video of those as well. While I was repacking stuff in to boxes.

They were crawling back into the new boxes. There were so many roaches I could even focus fast enough to film them. They were in my laser printer. The motor part. They were in my microwave. The motor part. They were breeding on/in my queen size mattress. I can't remove the mattress by myself. I did not finish the unpack/repack after until 9pm Saturday. Sunday morning I took everything to the laundry. This situation is two mean girls bullying someone to get their way, instead of practicing some actual customer service. Customer service is NOT punitive. Neither of them ever apologized for allowing the infestation get out of hand. Not that an apology would've corrected the problem. But that is how good customer starts. I no longer trust Michael to do the right thing either. He hired them. Typically the employees reflect the boss' temperament.

Pertinent Facts: Called Michael 8/22/16, spoke with Jamal. Left message to call regarding ELEVATOR INOPERABLE AGAIN. Your website states the plural Elevators. There is only one. When Michael call me it was regarding the Malicious Mischief claim I filed with Beecher Carlson. That was October 11, 2016. Michael offered 1 month free storage. We settled on two that's what we settled on. He said he didn't want Susie doing ANYTHING after hours for liability sake. But on your website it says on site manager. Why have a manager who isn't available to the customers. I had called on a Sunday because the elevator was broken AGAIN. Susie had gone for the day. However there was a 8.5/11 taped to the wall. She would've had to have seen it when she came out of her apartment.

I no longer want free storage. These two women are bullies. Other ppl in the area have problems with them as well. I don't like bullies. I am a writer. I pay attention and I knew they would try and make it hell for me for filing the claim. I pay for that insurance. I have every right to file and win. Because this whole thing is about two junior high school mean girls that are pissed because they were negligent.

On 10/19/2016 at about midnight Susie knock on the door of the unit and asked me to leave. She brought her boyfriend with her. Both she and Celine knew I sometimes slept there. SO NOW SHE CAN WORK AFTER HOURS. Bringing her boyfriend shows that she was not concerned about liability. She pretended she didn't know I was. Her boyfriend asked if she was ok. She told him he could leave. She called the cops. My brother is a Sheriff's detective. So I left. I also know a few cops in the area. They all know I am not a troublemaker. I knew she was recording. Because she said that I SHOULD HAVE LET THEM KNOW ABOUT THE ROACHES. I have text messages that I sent when I saw they were doing nothing to solve the problem. I also have video evidence of the roaches in the hallway.

SO THEN EXTRA SPACE WANTS TO CHARGE ME AND THEN ASSIGN TASKS FOR ME TO DO. That's not how business works. At this juncture I want my 3,000.00 from Beecher Carlson. I don't trust Michael either. Three thousand dollars is small price to pay for this bullying and the inconvenience due to their blatant negligence. I am sure your stockholders wouldn't want this kind of behavior by your employees to continue and damage the company's reputation.

Be aware before committing to this storage company that it's monthly rate increases by at least ten percent twice a year. This has been my personal experience. In addition, advance notice of a rate change may or may not be given. One is just as likely to discover the increase by comparing monthly bills. When I brought to the attention of company staff and management that such frequent and large rate increases are not the industry norm and undermine good customer relations, I was told that the storage contract provides for such rate increases. Okay. But just because a company (or a person) can do something by law doesn't mean that it is right or should be done.

Same as happened to reviewer John. Over Labor Day weekend I couldn't log on website to pay, some issue with new passwords as listed on the site. I finally got through online and the payment had was correct for the month. Tuesday, I called to pay the amount from Monday holiday and John at the office quoted me double plus lien fee or instead of $138.00 he said I owe $378.00 or so. A lien fee, and late fee in one day? For a future lien sale that work could not have possibly yet occurred and is not intended for people who are paying. Lien fees are for abandoned storage and people who can't pay.

I've been paying monthly for 7 years; and since this employee John has come aboard they have tried to do this last year as well. Extra Space's corporate motto "Our goal is to provide excellent service, a high-quality product and superior results to everyone that comes in contact with Extra Space Storage." needs to be upheld. The other time this happened Corporate office was very helpful in getting the District Manager to eventually contact me. The District Manager then negotiated a payment which removed additional fees tacked onto the unsubstantiated work (not) performed for lien fees. I still had to pay the one late fee and 85 dollar lien fee.

THE EMPLOYEES DEFINITELY get bonuses for the lien fees they place, which is why they take every opportunity to greed on their customers. The employee who was there had stated they'd published my storage in a newspaper for auction which was found to be false. I believe that misstatement may have helped remove the tacked on fees on top of lien fees.

So find out who your District Manager is and tell them what has happened and what you would like to see done about it. I will do the same, I just loathe dealing with unreasonable people who mess with me because they can load my belongings over my head as ransom. These are unethical business practices and not in alignment with stated corporate policies.

I've been renting the same storage space for 4 years, and every thing was fine until Cube Smart sold the property to Extra Space Storage. The monthly fee has been paid by my company credit card for all that time, but when Extra Space took over, there was obviously some issues with transfer of account information. Unbeknownst to me, Extra Space was not able to obtain payment from my credit card for two months, and they assessed a $24 late fee twice followed by a $85 "Pre-foreclosure" fee. Then, miraculously, on 24 August, they were able to extract a payment of $393 dollars for two months rent, insurance, late fees and the "Pre-foreclosure" fee.

So obviously, they were doing something wrong during July and August, and finally figured it out. I complained a week and a half ago, and got to speak with Brittany today who gave me the same corporate line despite my pleading that it was not my fault, and how could they do this to a 501 (c)(3) veterans' organization? She was totally heartless, and my suspicious mind thinks perhaps her bonus comes from screwing people with these bogus charges which, in my view, are the result of their incompetence. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE PIRATES!!!

I had two side-by-side storage units while looking for an apartment. After finally moving into my new apartment, I wanted to consolidate what was left into just one storage unit, which they was impossible because the computer couldn't do it (!). Then they raised the rent by $50 for the two. I decided on a storage unit at a different, locally-owned place and it cost $300 in labor and truck rental but it was worth it. Their parting shot was to charge me ("computer mistake") for the following month, even though the onsite manager and I went through the entire close-out process. And 3 weeks later the computer still has not credited my account that $180.

I have been renting from Extra Space Storage in Corpus Christi for almost 2 years now and my rent has just been increased for a third time with no warning. Over my rental period I've had my gate code locked twice so that I was unable to gain access and I've had signs of rats in my unit. Today I went to my storage locker and found that it had been double locked by the manager. Since there is no longer a manager on site we had to wait for half an hour for the manager to show up to let me in to my locker that was paid up to date.

The manager states this was the second time today he had to come down to let a paying customer in. The manager offered no explanation and no real apology as to why he had locked me out and wasted my time today. We noticed that 8 other units in our building had been double locked as well so this does not appear to be a random incident. I will be vacating ASAP and will warn anyone currently there or considering renting from Extra Space to give it some careful consideration.

I fell one month behind on my account due to some unexpected bills. I had been a customer with Extra Space at one of their Amarillo locations for the last 3 years paying $120 a month for a small closet size unit. At 36 days they slap an 85 dollar fee. I explained I get paid on that 36th day and could pay Immediately. Not good enough. They say the 'computer assess the fine' they 'can't stop it'. Spoke to a Regional General Manager named Brittany at ** who towed the company line saying the fine would be assessed. They assess the fine at midnight the same time my money hits. That's an easy 85 dollars to make.

I can understand now why people leave such ugly comments about this company. The CEO Spencer F Kirk hides from social media. You can barely find him on LinkedIn. I think it's sad a company doesn't want to work with its customers and even worse the CEO can't be bothered enough to have contact information to receive feedback about his company. So, what is this 85 dollar snafu gonna cost them? A customer of course. I'll get my stuff out within a week and that 5x5 closet size can sit empty rather than earn an easy 120 a month. Do they care? No. But you, after reading this should be aware and stay away from this company. Spread the word.

Be careful, Extra Space likes to give large rent increases a few months after you move in. Plus they do not tell about all of their charges over the phone. Instead you find out about it at the time of signing the contract. Be careful.

With no warning, with no justification, they raised the unit rate from $204 to $290. When confronted, they gave me gobbledegook. I cancelled them INSTANTLY! They INSTANTLY lost my business. I also have an account with them in Las Vegas which I will cancel as soon as possible. I suggest NO ONE do business with them.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Extra Space Storage operates self-storage facilities across 38 states and Puerto Rico. They offer various storage unit sizes as well as storage for small to large vehicles and boats.

• Unit size: Extra Space Storage offers unit sizes ranging from from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 30 feet. This is equivalent to the size of a small walk-in closet to the size of a one-and-a-half car garage. They also offer enclosed garage style parking to protect vehicles as well as outdoor covered or uncovered parking.
  • Moving tips: Consumers can find online moving tips via informational videos or guides. Planning tips include information on downsizing, staging your home for sale and hiring a moving company. Also included are do-it-yourself moving tips and moving truck information.
  • Discounts: For people moving themselves, Extra Space Storage partners with Budget Truck which offers a variety of trucks and vans. Consumers can call their toll-free number online to reserve a truck and save up to 20 percent. If people rent for a year or more they can receive the 13th month for free.
  • Storage lease: Storage leases are offered on a flexible month-to-month basis or a long-term, prepaid, yearly basis. Insurance is required for each unit rented. Monthly payments can be made on-site, online, by phone or by mail. Upon vacating the unit, consumers need to give a verbal 2-day notice or a written 15-day notice.
  • Service areas: Extra Space Storage operates in 38 states and Puerto Rico. Consumers can go online for a breakdown of cities and which units are available in each city.
  • Best for Consumers needing short or long term storage and vehicle storage.

Compare Self Storage and Portable Storage Companies