Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.65/5

Extra Space Self Storage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Extra Space Self Storage?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Extra Space Self Storage?

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

Amber is the exactly what a manager should be. She is very professional, kind outgoing, easy to talk to, friendly and so very helpful. The world needs a few more Ambers in management positions. She really is a pleasure to talk to even if it isn’t about storage needs. Even my dog Kyra loves to see her when we visit there.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

Lisa and Julie are both extremely competent and friendly. They will work to make sure everything is perfect for you and your storage unit. The premises are clean, safe and well kept. I have a background in law enforcement (26 years) and believe they have done just about everything to insure good security measures. If you need a storage unit in Rio Rancho NM, don't waste time shopping around. It doesn't get any better than this place. Excellent and you won't be disappointed. John **.

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

This is the BEST place to do business, they truly care and value the customer experience! My mother is moving from SC so I recommended this storage facility since I live nearby. My mother is knee deep in the moving process and directly contacted the facility. Unfortunately, she became extremely confused about pricing and logistics during the process. During the entire process, the assistant manager, Tom **, was extremely patient, attentive, responsive and professional. He expeditiously and diligently worked to review, research and resolve the misunderstanding.

Once I realized that my mother was in need of my assistance (an authorized point of contact), he did an excellent job of attentively listening to me reiterate the issue. He provided clarity on the misunderstanding and went above and beyond to make sure my mother had an excellent experience. This was the best customer service experience I have ever received! Wishing much continued success to the Extra Space Self Storage team and extend my best wishes for a healthy and prosperous 2020!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

In Dire straits when I called to speak with someone who could, come close to fulfilling a miracle. I needed to save my Storage unit from being auctioned off. I had had some personal financial issues that interfered with me making payments on time. This time, it down to the last 3 days. TREE, assured come that everything was going to be alright by making sure that I knew about all the options that were available to me. Professional skills were top of the line and I am very grateful for her assistance and professionalism to help me resolve my issues.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I have all of my belongings at this facility in Lake Elsinore. I have been with them for almost 4 years already and they have been so much help. I'm not only happy about how clean the property manager keeps it but he is also kind with answering any questions. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to see their belongings well keeped and in the same condition.

Original review: July 8, 2020

It is an unfortunate situation that I paid Extra Space Storage in Memphis Tennessee over $4000 in storage fees to have my entire home furnishings damaged/destroyed from Property Neglect. I trusted and paid for Extra Space Storage to provide adequate care in which they failed to do. (1.) They did not replace the bottom of storage doors or add new or additional weather stripping when they knew it was needed. (2.) Changing the Chemical base for Rodents which was of less value and poor quality. (cheaper and did not do the job).

(1) In regard to your units needing weather stripping but choosing not to address the issue until a unit became vacant was a very poor decision. On Friday 6/19/,2020, Extra Space Storage Regional Manager Randy ** said “since each tenant has their unit locked, it would really have been an inconvenience & very time consuming to try and coordinate a time for staff & tenant to meet. And that the actual procedure took about 30 minutes and the tenant would be required to wait, therefore we waited and made corrections once a unit became vacant". The decision NOT to notify me resulted in water, dirt & mold damage to my furniture. This is unacceptable and Extra Space Storage obviously knew there was a problem. As a customer, I would have thought the decision to meet for a 30-minute unit correction to better protect MY furniture would have been left up to me – Not them. It certainly would not of been an inconvenience to me.

(2) Both Regional Manager & Site Manager mentioned that the location shared sides with a type of drainage ditch that was a problem with rodents. Again, Extra Space Storage is aware of the problem, yet changed their existing chemical(s) supplier. This is a problem. This neglect has caused me to lose or have damage to 100% of my property. I paid for the store and care for my personal belongings and Extra Space Storage is in breach of adequate Service, Care & Trust.

The amount of time that the moisture & debris from the lack of adequate weather stripping that you chose not to replace until a unit became vacant has damaged the bottom of practically every piece of wood furniture in my unit. Mixed with some Rat urine – makes a great combination. The photo... that is my very own mattress that WAS carefully wrapped in a thick Shrink Wrap for storage. At Extra Space Storage it became a Rat haven for breeding which destroyed my bedding with BLOOD and URINE. RUN FROM THIS COMPANY --- DON'T WALK. RUN.

Original review: June 15, 2020

My rate has almost doubled in the years I've been there. They go up every 6 months. It's abusive. I'm a good customer and pay via automatic payment, but I'm also on a fixed income, and my income certainly has not increased comparably. Their value has become a liability.

Original review: May 11, 2020

I rented a 10 X 22 for 3 years, paid 237.00 a month. A large majority of my things have been ruined due to their negligence. The unit had a leak that they tried to repair 3 times. When I finally had enough and hired movers they decided to fix the roof, 2 weeks before my move out date. Needless to say, the roofers were there on the day my movers were there. Besides rushing the moving company the debris from the roof blew into a movers eye, I had to pay an extra 50.00 hazard pay, not to mention that the roofers were not adhering to COVID-19 guidelines.

We left with 1/2 of my things and came back the following day only to find the remainder of my belongings covered in what appeared to be sand and debris from the roof. I contacted management with little or no concern. I have many pictures if you care to see them, contact me! If you care for your things do not store them here. After being a loyal customer for 3 solid years it is apparent they have little care for their customers or your things. Beware and read the fine print.

Original review: April 24, 2020

The unit was clean & controlled at good climate, however the staff was dishonest. I noticed the increase in the contract but was told the rate would not go up though it did on multiple occasions. The unit was NOT accessible in an emergency. The toilet was not accessible during business hours. This was at the Miami Gardens Florida location 5903 NW 183rd Street.

Original review: April 7, 2020

I had been a customer for over 2 years. When I traded out a wardrobe and put the old one by the dumpster (this is something they told me I could do if I needed to dispose of something) they charged me a $50 fee and refused to refund the fee. I told them that I would be moving out since they didn't care enough to keep me as a customer and the only thing they said was when will you be moving out. Then the topping was when I moved out in March mid-month they refused to refund the prorated amount. I would never use them again.

Extra Space Self Storage author review by Jessica Render

Extra Space Storage operates self-storage facilities across 38 states and Puerto Rico. They offer various storage unit sizes as well as storage for small to large vehicles and boats.

• Unit size: Extra Space Storage offers unit sizes ranging from from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 30 feet. This is equivalent to the size of a small walk-in closet to the size of a one-and-a-half car garage. They also offer enclosed garage style parking to protect vehicles as well as outdoor covered or uncovered parking.

• Moving tips: Consumers can find online moving tips via informational videos or guides. Planning tips include information on downsizing, staging your home for sale and hiring a moving company. Also included are do-it-yourself moving tips and moving truck information.

• Discounts: For people moving themselves, Extra Space Storage partners with Budget Truck which offers a variety of trucks and vans. Consumers can call their toll-free number online to reserve a truck and save up to 20 percent. If people rent for a year or more they can receive the 13th month for free.

• Storage lease: Storage leases are offered on a flexible month-to-month basis or a long-term, prepaid, yearly basis. Insurance is required for each unit rented. Monthly payments can be made on-site, online, by phone or by mail. Upon vacating the unit, consumers need to give a verbal 2-day notice or a written 15-day notice.

• Service areas: Extra Space Storage operates in 38 states and Puerto Rico. Consumers can go online for a breakdown of cities and which units are available in each city.

by Jessica Render ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Jessica Render is dedicated to providing well-researched, valuable content designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions they can feel confident making. She holds a degree in journalism from Oral Roberts University.

Extra Space Self Storage Company Information