1.31/5

228 Extra Space Self Storage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 17, 2019

The two guys who manage the Ahua Street place are deceitful liars, and represent everything that is wrong in this world. Pulled me in with charm and professionalism, 3 months later raised the rent $40 (13%)!!! This is obviously an Extra Space Storage corporate action, as Hawaii Kai Extra Space does the same thing. Hawaii Kai doubled my rent in less than 12 months. They "notify" NOT by email or phone call, but in a ** postcard type communication that looks like junk mail at first glance. Font is in size 2, so they ensure no one reads and tosses into the trash. These guys, and this company, are exactly why the country is ** up! Blatant liars with no remorse.

Original review: March 9, 2019

My son items were stolen from the unit by the management of the storage facility. Claude took the insurance of the unit without our permission. District management only call once. We have call over 10 times asking for higher management to contact. No one has done so. I will never recommend your service or ever go back to you again. Like I say you have poor management staff and no one cares about. Even the customer service representatives are rude and not courteous. But I am **. But if I was ** would not be any issues. Would have been resolved. Yes I'm I playing the race card. That's what it comes down to.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 4, 2019

As I am sure you have read in other reviews, it is true, this company lures you in at what seems a reasonable rate. 6 months later you start receiving postcards which increase by 20%. I started with a 10 x 10 unit at $80 and 1.5 years later we are at 130.00. No one will speak with you except a simpleton manager of the facility who has no power or interest in helping you. They are counting on you being too lazy to move your stuff to a cheap place. Screw them. l'm out.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I rented a unit 1.5 years ago (5x5) with a rate of $63. They have hiked up my rate by $20 increments every six months, without fail. The first two rate hikes were done without notifying me, first. I will be notifying them that I will be moving to another storage company, first thing in the morning!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

This place is a scam. Raised my rent twice in 12 months $100. Without any notification. Most filthy place on earth. Rotten ceiling insulation is falling on your head and your belongings. When I told them that I am not staying in this unit because it's health hazardous and need more time to move out they locked my unit. So now I am unable to work. I did order air test from Aeris company to make sure nobody can get hurt in this nasty place. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE. HEALTH IS MORE IMPORTANT.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Extra Space Self Storage?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

This company requires credit card for automatic payments taken out every month. They are supposed to notify you 30 days in advance of any price changes, but they don't. My price went up $15 and I never received any notifications from them. I called to try and get the issue resolved and they refuse to refund any money and lie stating that they sent me letters which they have not. The company also has a lot of break ins, our RV was broken into and they just leave the gate open at night if there is any issues, poor security, price hikes, inadequate notifications, are all good reasons to avoid this place like the plague.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Now that I have vacated my unit after 7 months and it is back on the market today both the published standard rate and the internet rate are radically lower than what they were gouging me for over the last couple of months. No more than Wells Fargo, it points to a pathetically systemic corrupt corporate culture. So should you have to rent from them, get something in writing as to how long your rate is good for. What they did to me should be should be a prosecutable offense.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I was lured in with a competitive price on a 10x20 unit. The guy working hounded me for a good review which I did NOT give because my interaction with him had only been for 25 minutes. Next: Within 3 months my rent had gone up $20. Here it is the middle of winter when it’s cumbersome to move so I’m put into a position I’d rather not be in. Regardless, it’s Time to LEAVE.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I rented a 10x28 foot unit and filled it with odds and ends. I have had no access issues and the manager is always friendly and willing to help. Their security is good and I have not seen anything to make me worry about my things. My complaint, no lighting or even power to the unit to plug in a lamp.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

A super simple issue to ANY OTHER organization in Corporate America has been a nightmare to resolve with this company. It is obvious that no one I have spoken to has had any customer service training. They don't care about your business and are fine to let you go elsewhere. They take no responsibility for their lack of communication. Management is not respectful and lack the basic tenets of good business skills/service. There are a plethora of new storage facilities near me. Never thought I needed to look into the management of a storage facility - just went with the most visible and one that was close proximity to me. It's easy for them to take advantage of their customers - raising rates and treating them poorly when an issue arises. They know it's a pain to move and that most customers won't. Too bad. Big mistake. Their loss. I hope more customers do their homework first.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Don't get fooled by the initial rate == it will increase over and over again at percentages that are many times the rate of inflation. My 8X10 started at $71 then it went to $76 then $87.50 then $96.60 then 97.85 then they raised it to $143 which after I threatened to leave they reduced to $114.95 -- all of this in 2-1/2 years. That's an increase of about 62% or 25% per year, which is crazy and wholly unjustified.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I had an extraordinarily poor experience with Extra Space Storage. You can not use Extra Space Storage to store your valuables. I had an inside climate controlled unit. I was notified the building flooded due to a failure of the sump pump unit being unplugged or having no power. They said that there was between 8 and 10 inches of water. I had to drive from out of town to survey the damage. When I arrived to survey the damage 24 hours later the base of the walls were still wet and there was standing water in my unit. Various items were ruined and I am waiting to see the extent of the mold damage from the Extra Space Storage flood.

The manager (** male, I did not catch his name) at the front gave me a sassy attitude. The Extra Space manager discussed the issue with me only briefly because he was eating lunch at his desk. The manager said he would come out with a LEAF BLOWER to dry the wetness. The manager never came during my visit. I was using 3rd party insurance coverage and the manager said that the contract said they could not speak to them to relay the circumstances of the flood as was told to me. I found nothing in the contract that said this. I requested the name/number of the District Manager (Raymond **) and the phone seemed to be disconnected / there was no voicemail set up.

I contacted corporate at info@extraspace.com since there was no phone number. There was no response (sent 2.5 months ago with a follow up a month later). To compound the issue, my insurance company stated they would not cover damage caused by failure of the sump pump (HANOVER INSURANCE - this is a separate issue). In summary, you absolutely can not use Extra Space Storage to store your personal valuables. Feel free to let me know if you have questions. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Extra Space Storage offers an attractive rate to get your business. Once you've rented, you WILL experience constant rental increases. When I originally rented, I was paying $232.00 for a 10'x30' storage unit. They've gone up on my rent twice in the first year. I now pay $306.00 per month, with future increases on the horizon. They bait you with reasonable rent and then switch over to extortion-like practices with constant increases that never end. DO NOT RENT FROM EXTRA space storage! It's like renting from the mafia and having to pay an ever increasing vig on your unit or forfeit your belongings! They are crooked thieves! Look elsewhere for storage!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

If you're in a profession and have a very little window in leaving, you will not receive a refund if you don't abide literally to the leasing terms. An f.y.i. if you do not notify them 10 plus days before your billing cycle you will pay for the next month in full regardless of your departure. In a profession like mine we don't have the luxury of knowing far in advance to abide by their rules and regulations. Metro and others will prorate your unit, allowing you to recoup some of your monies if you're like me and have a "minute man" skill, and cannot afford a advanced notice. Poor humanitarian business practices, borderline hustle/sales gimmick.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Rats and bad customer service, customer service is awful. They feel it’s not a problem when it come to people personal thing. Call about the making a payment but not worried about the rat problems they have.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I was sent a letter telling me how much they liked my business but I need to remove my trailer or it will be towed. When I told the manager I was leaving she told me, "No refunds without prior notice." Then I was told they cannot give me a refund in less than 2 weeks. The same day I get a email telling me I am welcome if I ever need space. Today I get another email asking how was my move out. No refund yet.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I have had a storage room at Extra Space at 2828 NW 62nd in Oklahoma City for over 20 years. I moved out today and moved to a U-Haul facility that is twice as far from my home because the service at Extra Space was non-existent. The manager is frequently not on property and the gate is ALWAYS left open. Anyone can go in and out at any time. To add to my misery, the rates keep going up. My unit rent is now $246/month. The same size unit at U-Haul is $129/month. In addition, the security at U-Haul is very strict and operates 24/7. I have spoken with Extra Space corporate about my problems here, but they were never addressed. I'm very happy that I don't have to give this company another dollar.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Price gouging. They constantly raise rates. Mine was raised in July and now again in November. Beware. They offer you an attractive rate to get your business, but after that you'll experience continuous rate increases. In my case, my rate has gone up twice this year. When I rented this space it was 52. Now, it's 74. Scam.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Great place but I have got to say, the way my rate has raised is ridiculous. My initial rate was $160, within the last year, my rate has raised over $100. They have slowly and steadily increased my rate by $20-$40, each every couple months, and now I am paying over $260. When I originally signed up, it was $160!!! The staff and facility is good, but there is no explanation.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I stored with them for over a year. On 11-19-19 I lose it because I was unable to catch up. Due to medical and relocating issues. I just needed a few more days. Also each month my late charges changed. My rent went up without my knowledge. It was told to me after I asked about the different in charges. They claimed the information was sent to me. But I went into their office, this is when I was told??? Also they didn't auction off my things. They offered my belongings to their associates, after they noticed it was video, Then they processed to act as if it was an auction. Also pulled a van in front of the storage to stop my video. Then laughed at me.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I have been a loyal customer since 2014, yet the company does not care about loyalty or being a good customer. The company increases the rent automatically every couple of months, “it is policy” is what I am told. The company revenued over 1.10 billion USD in 2017. Greed. Pure greed! Another problem I have had, I was on automatic payments with my credit card for my son's unit. I was charged a late fee in September, how can that be when the card was being automatically charged each month? When I called to rectify the overcharged, they refused to talk to as it is my son's unit, however it is my credit card and I am the one who has paid out over $6K these past four and a half years! Junior and Mitchell at the facility know me, they know the hardship I had, they know I am his mother yet they refused to help me. Very dissatisfied! Beware!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I received the most horrible customer service from DM Paty **. She said I have 72 hours to move out. I live in Las Vegas and she kicked me out and I had to drive 4 hours with a rental truck. I cannot believe this women has a job, first it took her forever to even contact me. Secondly she did contact me only to tell me she was kicking me out.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

My daughter had used this Extra Space Self Storage and recommended it to us. It is easy to get to for us and I was pleased to see it is very clean and well kept. The best feature for us is that all the units are drive up and that makes it convenient. Some of the other facilities we inquired about had indoor units that required going through the building and using an elevator in some cases. The Extra Space unit we have are also less expensive so we consider it a win-win.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

We stopped by to get some things out of our unit, it was infested with rats! Spoke to the person in the office to ask why we weren't informed, he said they didn't want everybody vacating their units, that we should have known there would be rats since there is an open field behind the units.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Don't rent from here ever. Very disappointed with how this operation is run. I moved my inventory to this location just under a month ago. I expressly told them that I would be using the storage for business. There were and still are many items that I have in stock that are not properly inventoried and I have been spending more time there than even I had wanted. Nonetheless, I had not been told that there would be limits as to the time I was allowed to be there when I signed up, decided to spend 100s of dollars to rent a truck, take 5 days off of work to facilitate the move. The first time It was suggested to me (remember I just moved under a month ago) that maybe I shouldn't spend so much time there, to which I thought they were kidding because if anyone wanted to get out of there it was me but this is work.

The second time, I had been taking photos to list some items and a staff member, in his infinite wisdom, proceeded to give me suggestions on how I could achieve my goals by perhaps lessing my time at the facility. This condescending approach to customers and their affairs is right about at my limit for what I feel to be tolerable. I was there a lot, I had a lot to do and most if not all had to be done on site. I was frustrated at this point, feeling I was doing the best I could. At the same time, I didn't get into running my own business to be micromanaged by pretentious, invasive staff making me feel bad about doing exactly what I had told them upon signing, I would be doing. This isn't my first storage unit, and I have never had this issue before. The only reason I ever move is because eventually the rent gets raised above what I want to pay.

This is the best part, I paid 7 days early, in cash, only to get an email saying thank you for your payment of $0 followed by today, when no less than an hour after getting there my manager, oh no I'm sorry, I work for myself, The employee so keen on knowing what is and isn't necessary for my business comes up to me to advise me that I have 72 hours to vacate. WHAT!!!

I ask why, I'm told that the decision has been made by the district manager, Patty and tells me they will refund my payment. I ask him again why and this is what I was told: 1: I spend too much time there (unreasonable amount of time is the supposed violation. Who decides what unreasonable is unknown as it is not detailed in the lease or anywhere else for that matter, they also said I was Loitering which I found hysterical as the sole reason of my being there is to get work done, I took smoke breaks every few hours maybe that was it.) 2: I come after I know the office is closed when I know no one is there. 3: When moving from an Extra Space up the street I "stole" a cart and left it at their facility.

#1 I think I have already addressed. #2 If I make a sale or need to post a package in the morning I'll come anytime between 6-10 like the access hours my lease specified allows me. The Idea that I care at all what their schedule is, is beyond me. I am far too busy with my own crap to worry about what their offices hours are. Furthermore It to me suggests they think I'm doing something inappropriate after their offices hours which with an onsite live-in manager who patrols the facility during all hours, would be of concern. The fact is, he never got around to explaining that part after I continuously asked what was wrong with being there during the posted access times

#3 The most inconsequential but my favorite, I had asked the manager when I had rented my truck, if dollies got switched would that be an issue. I was told no, it would not. I will fully admit that at the end of it all, there may have been a +1 at this location. At the end of it all a matter that I would have happily resolved had it been brought to my attention (I don't know how many dollies there should be). Instead I get a head shake as if I just farted in church shame shame shame. WOW. Great customer service.

To wrap it up, as far as I can tell Extra Space's lease does allow for operator to terminate at will for any reason WITH A 15 DAY WRITTEN NOTICE. a 72 hour notice to vacate is a made up policy and illegal in CA. The only applicable 72 hour notice would be for a timeframe in which you would need to Pay, or correct a violation of your lease, such as "you have 72 hours to remove the 20 gallon drums of gasoline from your unit as it violates your leasing agreement to not store flammables or face eviction."

When I spoke with the District manager, Patty, she had no interest in hearing what I had to say and was more concerned on how and when I was leaving. when I asked how, after 2 comments from staff about how much time I spend there, that they just jump to eviction. (I took the comments as requests as I had seen nothing in the lease about a limit in terms of time spent there) She said they had no obligation to give me any warning. GREAT POLICY. This company does not have your interests at the top or even in there list.

I still have not received my refund, I'm told I must be out by the 5th of NOV. NONE of this has be documented and I have received nothing in writing. I will be requesting the formal paperwork so I will maintain my legal rights to go after them for the cost of a moving truck. I was lied to, told this was the place for me, spent $500 moving my stuff here and setting it up for my business only to be informally evicted.

It's Sad, the review before mentioned that he was comforted by his partner only to be spurned by staff. I had not thought anything of it but I had given my partner a hug after he had dropped off some things only the day before I was asked to leave. I haven't pursued a discrimination angle but the vagueness of their alleged violation coupled with a sudden change in their evaluation of my business there leads me to think that Daniel is not the only one. Don't rent from here ever.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Discrimination @ 9300 Research Drive Irvine, CA - I have been discriminated by the Employees & District Manager to the point they have asked me to move out for being gay after an employee seen my partner comfort me after my mom passed away. Since that day I have been mistreated and I went into the office on 10/19/18 where the employee made very derogatory comments to me and wouldn't give me her bosses' info. Why? Because she didn't want to get in trouble.

Eventually she gave it to me and her boss Tom & Patty both said I am a liar and that kind of thing doesn't happen in this day and age. I told them unless they are gay themselves they would have no clue what happens to us in this day and age. They basically told me they don't care and that I need to move out. I won't repeat the things that were said to me because they were very disrespectful. The staff use to be so nice to me until the day I was comforted by my partner. I am trying to reach someone of power there but I am not having much luck at all. I keep getting the runaround.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

We had a horrible experience at the Old Norcross Location and would recommend everyone avoid it to protect their property and for the incredibly POOR customer service. We rented a space to park our camper. First, their lax security allowed someone to squat in our camper--for over two weeks--which resulted in a mess for us to clean up. Moreover, the camper contained stolen merchandise that the squatter had taken from other storage units on the property. Second, our camper was actually stolen from the property a few months later.

I would have been more understanding, except for the fact that the property manager repeatedly ignored my calls when I tried to obtain information about getting compensation, or at least reimbursement for the fees we had paid. If you're smart, you'll find another place to store your property besides the facility on Old Norcross. I also tried to call the corporate office and was treated no better. Avoid this place.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I went a couple of weeks ago and took a short tour as a walk-in to see if they had the right unit for me. The guy who gave me the tour asked me if I had my own locks and I said yes. I went home and thought about it and I made a reservation for a unit. When I went back to the facility to sign in to my unit that had been reserved, I was informed that customers are not allowed to bring their own locks and have to buy one of the "cylinder" Locks that they have for sale for $17. on top of the move in fees making the free month not so free. A $67 per month locker with a free first month actually costs $41 to move in. The website does not even let you know that you have to have one of these specific types of lock. BUYER BEWARE. I wonder what other dishonest tactics they use.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

You automatically get a $20 late fee if you pay five days after the due date. They will tell you that you get a 5 day grace period, but in actually it is 4 days. This company does not work with you. My mother has an account with them and I'm trying to help her stay current, but they make it very hard.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I do not recommend this facility. It has major roof leak issues. Your belongings are not safe. When I brought my concerns to the staff member he said "maybe it won't leak over your unit". There was substantial leakage over other units. I removed my things asap. No concern was shown for my belongings.

Extra Space Self Storage expert review by Janine Sarna-Jones

Extra Space Storage operates self-storage facilities across 38 states and Puerto Rico. They offer various storage unit sizes as well as storage for small to large vehicles and boats.

• Unit size: Extra Space Storage offers unit sizes ranging from from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 30 feet. This is equivalent to the size of a small walk-in closet to the size of a one-and-a-half car garage. They also offer enclosed garage style parking to protect vehicles as well as outdoor covered or uncovered parking.

• Moving tips: Consumers can find online moving tips via informational videos or guides. Planning tips include information on downsizing, staging your home for sale and hiring a moving company. Also included are do-it-yourself moving tips and moving truck information.

• Discounts: For people moving themselves, Extra Space Storage partners with Budget Truck which offers a variety of trucks and vans. Consumers can call their toll-free number online to reserve a truck and save up to 20 percent. If people rent for a year or more they can receive the 13th month for free.

• Storage lease: Storage leases are offered on a flexible month-to-month basis or a long-term, prepaid, yearly basis. Insurance is required for each unit rented. Monthly payments can be made on-site, online, by phone or by mail. Upon vacating the unit, consumers need to give a verbal 2-day notice or a written 15-day notice.

• Service areas: Extra Space Storage operates in 38 states and Puerto Rico. Consumers can go online for a breakdown of cities and which units are available in each city.

• Best for: Consumers needing short or long term storage and vehicle storage.

Profile picture of Janine Sarna-Jones
Janine Sarna-Jones Moving Expert

Janine Sarna-Jones is a Certified Professional Organizer and Move Manager. She is the founder and president of Organize Me Inc. and has been helping people get organized at work and at home since 1992. A member of the inaugural class of Certified Personal Organizers and board member of the National Association of Productivity and Organizing, Janine has helped a broad range of clients, including corporate executives, small business owners, real-estate agents, moms, artists, therapists, and non-profit organizations.

Extra Space Self Storage Company Information