Extra Space Self Storage

Compare Self Storage and Portable Storage Companies

Research top Self Storage and Portable Storage Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I called this company because we were flying out of Phoenix back to Canada for Christmas. I was told by the representative that they had space and it would cost us $83.00 for the month. She told me that she would send the information to the storage place and she would guarantee room and price and I needed to call the storage company 2 weeks before I needed it. So exactly 2 weeks before we wanted the space I called the company and the man I got in touch with ** said he had space but he would not honor the price I was given. This price was quoted to me 2 days ago. I would not recommend this place at all. Not when they don't honor what they say. This company is located at 3636 East Washington in Phoenix Arizona.

Extra Space Storage constantly raises your rates. They get you in on a lowball offer, and after you were they in their six month they raise your rates, and they continue to raise your rates every six months. And when you call them to complain they basically tell you to blow off, because that's the going rate. When you talk to a manager and managed to get your rate lowered back to the original quote, they do not fulfill that promise and continue to charge a higher rate. They are horrible at returning phone calls and the horrible customer service.

This place under new management is worse than ever. Don't bother to call corporate. Left messages for almost a month. Finally heard from Roz ** who told me that they send everything back to the DM. She typifies the company's attitude. Rude and disinterested. Why would I want to continued to talk to the same person, when I'm not getting anywhere.

The mgr. Susie informed that a male customer on my floor asked her my name. Although I told her not to she did anyway. What kind of woman does that? This claim is made under I. Malicious Mischief. Adjective is injurious. Extra Space staff had every opportunity to rectify the problem when the renter moved out. They were well aware that he had indeed moved out. I overheard Celine talking to another renter saying they knew he'd moved out. He apparently had moved the first of September. I began seeing roaches in the hallway. If they made their rounds they saw them too. Why didn't either of them investigate where the roaches were coming from? They had inherited a facility that had no roaches. There was clear evidence that roaches had become a major issue.

Four things could have happen: They made the daily rounds and did not care. They didn't make the rounds. They wrote down that they made the rounds. But they actually didn't. They opened the previous renters storage unit and didn't want to tackle the clean up job themselves. All or any one of these reasons created Malicious Mischief, on the part of Extra Space employees. OTHER FACTS: THE ELEVATOR BREAKS DOWN ALL THE TIME. ON THE WEEKENDS IF THEY'RE NOT THERE YOU'RE OUT OF LUCK.

8/21/16 Stopped by ESS to pick up a script and other notes I needed for a meeting that afternoon. There was a sign written on 85-11 sheet of paper on the elevator that it was not working. Warren must have put it there. It was the weekend he worked. When she Susie left her apt. she had to seen the note. Apparently she left with no alternate way for customers to access their units. Called the call center and was told by someone named Cynthia told Susie couldn't be disturbed. Really ticked off.

Texted Celine to see if she knew where Susie was. She didn't know that Susie had told call center that she was unavailable. She said it was weird that I was told that. Asked Celine for Michael's number to call about the constant elevator breakdowns. She told me call the call center and demand to speak to him. I called the next and got a rep. named Jamal on the phone. He said he could leave a message. I left my contact info. Never got a call back.

A couple months ago Susie informed that a male customer on my floor asked her my name. She said she didn't tell him. I said I don't want a strange man to know my name. She said she didn't give it to him. However when she was removing the red lock from his door she spoke to me and then called my name and smirked. My brother is sheriff's detective. I also know a few cops in the area. I told them about the incident. They ALL give that worried look. They know when a man asks for a woman's name he is trying to familiarize himself with her. This guy is married. Why in hell does he want to know me. PERHAPS THE BEST QUESTION WOULD BE WHY ANOTHER WOMAN JEOPARDIZE MY SAFETY. That in itself is malicious. Had I wanted him to know my name I would've told him myself. I believe she did this to retaliate for me calling Michael.

When I filed the claim I finally heard from Michael. He said it was true that Susie didn't do any kind of work after hours. That there were liability issues if she did. Then we got to the unnecessary roach infestation. I told him that I filed under the Malicious Mischief because Susie was pissed off for me calling him. And that the guy had left at least two weeks prior. I also told him that I overheard Celine say they knew the guy had moved out. Since they knew why didn't they do anything? The infestation was evident. They were everywhere. I have included a Google drive link of 10 videos of the infestation and clean up related images. Michael said they had to file paperwork etc. That it took a couple of days. It might have taken a couple of days. NOT A COUPLE WEEKS. I sent Susie text messages re: the problem. She never responded.

Again I called the call center and asked for the ESS insurance company that I was paying to cover my belongings. I called Beecher Carlson and asked for a copy of the policy. Apparently Extra Space collects your premiums, but they don't want the insurance company to pay out. I checked out the insurance company on the better business bureau site. They have a C-. Extra Space has an A!!! I don't how that could be. They have less than 2 stars on this website - ConsumerAffairs.

Michael and I settled on two months free. But after the new issues I DO NOT WANT THAT. I ONLY MY $3000.00 from my insurance policy. The situation is now untenable. They have now set out to make the two months impossible. Last Saturday I was taking a bag of trash to the garbage dumpster. Celine was leaving. But when she saw me drop the bag at dumpster. She jumped out of her car yelling and screaming in front of another customer, that there was no dumping there anymore. I reminded her I was not dumping. She yelled that she was going to charge me. I told her to charge Michael since he was giving me the 2 months. By the way there was no sign on the dumpster. I have a video clip which shows other trash by the dumpster. Apparently that customer wouldn't be charged. Just me. I don't like people yelling and screaming at me when I pay for a service.

10/19/16 I had barely got on the property when Celine was sitting in her car. She said Susie needed to see me. I told her that I was tired of the constant harassment. Again she was yelling and screaming something. I kept walking. I sent Susie text and told her in the future to put into writing anything she wanted to tell me.

I had a morning meeting so I crashed at my storage. Later at about midnight Susie and her boyfriend knocked on the unit door. So now Susie and her boyfriend's liability doesn't count. He doesn't even work for ESS. And they their kid home alone. Cause I heard her tell him to go back downstairs. She told me that I had to leave. I tried calling Michael's cell. No answer. Tried to leave messages. Couldn't. Both she and Celine knew I sometimes crashed there. There was a guy who kicked the elevator door and dented it. Celine said in front of a temp or guy from another Extra Space, as they were reviewing the video tape, that they let him stay there.

Susie was pissed because I filed my claim. She said I should've told them about the problem. Well I did tell them. I HAVE THE TEXTS TO PROVE IT. But they were so busy being nasty they ignored my requests. She called the cops. I could've waited on them. But I left. THEY BOTH KNEW. The next afternoon as I was entering the property, again there's Celine sitting her car laughing and pointing at me. Apparently Susie showed her the video of me the night before. All three of these occurrences with Celine are on your company's security cameras. Knowing these two they probably uploaded to some website. Is this the kind of behavior that your shareholders view as ESS having a good crew of employees? Hollywood has a number of challenged individuals. These two are instigators. I fight by writing letter etc. Others don't.

The facts are these issue were totally avoidable. The text messages I sent to Susie were never answered. I have those on my phone. I happened to be leaving my unit when Susie and 3 cleaning women from Leon's Cleaning Service showed up. When they opened the door the roaches leapt out and out onto the woman who opened the unit door. She said, that Susie should have called her earlier. I came back just to check on what kind of cleaning they were doing. I met two of the women on the elevator. They were going to the office. At one point a cleaning woman states in Spanish/translated in English: "I have to close my mouth before I eat them. This was an epic infestation."

At the end of the video where I am filming the amount of junk etc. and talking to another cleaning woman, you hear Susie saying, "please Michael pick up." Obviously the cleaning ladies (Leon's Cleaning Service) had told her that they would have to charge more for that kind of infestation. That Saturday (9/24/16) at 9 a.m. I unpacked everything in my storage unit. Box by box. Roaches were spread out like a blanket in the bottom of my boxes. There's video of those as well. While I was repacking stuff in to boxes.

They were crawling back into the new boxes. There were so many roaches I could even focus fast enough to film them. They were in my laser printer. The motor part. They were in my microwave. The motor part. They were breeding on/in my queen size mattress. I can't remove the mattress by myself. I did not finish the unpack/repack after until 9pm Saturday. Sunday morning I took everything to the laundry. This situation is two mean girls bullying someone to get their way, instead of practicing some actual customer service. Customer service is NOT punitive. Neither of them ever apologized for allowing the infestation get out of hand. Not that an apology would've corrected the problem. But that is how good customer starts. I no longer trust Michael to do the right thing either. He hired them. Typically the employees reflect the boss' temperament.

Pertinent Facts: Called Michael 8/22/16, spoke with Jamal. Left message to call regarding ELEVATOR INOPERABLE AGAIN. Your website states the plural Elevators. There is only one. When Michael call me it was regarding the Malicious Mischief claim I filed with Beecher Carlson. That was October 11, 2016. Michael offered 1 month free storage. We settled on two that's what we settled on. He said he didn't want Susie doing ANYTHING after hours for liability sake. But on your website it says on site manager. Why have a manager who isn't available to the customers. I had called on a Sunday because the elevator was broken AGAIN. Susie had gone for the day. However there was a 8.5/11 taped to the wall. She would've had to have seen it when she came out of her apartment.

I no longer want free storage. These two women are bullies. Other ppl in the area have problems with them as well. I don't like bullies. I am a writer. I pay attention and I knew they would try and make it hell for me for filing the claim. I pay for that insurance. I have every right to file and win. Because this whole thing is about two junior high school mean girls that are pissed because they were negligent.

On 10/19/2016 at about midnight Susie knock on the door of the unit and asked me to leave. She brought her boyfriend with her. Both she and Celine knew I sometimes slept there. SO NOW SHE CAN WORK AFTER HOURS. Bringing her boyfriend shows that she was not concerned about liability. She pretended she didn't know I was. Her boyfriend asked if she was ok. She told him he could leave. She called the cops. My brother is a Sheriff's detective. So I left. I also know a few cops in the area. They all know I am not a troublemaker. I knew she was recording. Because she said that I SHOULD HAVE LET THEM KNOW ABOUT THE ROACHES. I have text messages that I sent when I saw they were doing nothing to solve the problem. I also have video evidence of the roaches in the hallway.

SO THEN EXTRA SPACE WANTS TO CHARGE ME AND THEN ASSIGN TASKS FOR ME TO DO. That's not how business works. At this juncture I want my 3,000.00 from Beecher Carlson. I don't trust Michael either. Three thousand dollars is small price to pay for this bullying and the inconvenience due to their blatant negligence. I am sure your stockholders wouldn't want this kind of behavior by your employees to continue and damage the company's reputation.

Be aware before committing to this storage company that it's monthly rate increases by at least ten percent twice a year. This has been my personal experience. In addition, advance notice of a rate change may or may not be given. One is just as likely to discover the increase by comparing monthly bills. When I brought to the attention of company staff and management that such frequent and large rate increases are not the industry norm and undermine good customer relations, I was told that the storage contract provides for such rate increases. Okay. But just because a company (or a person) can do something by law doesn't mean that it is right or should be done.

Same as happened to reviewer John. Over Labor Day weekend I couldn't log on website to pay, some issue with new passwords as listed on the site. I finally got through online and the payment had was correct for the month. Tuesday, I called to pay the amount from Monday holiday and John at the office quoted me double plus lien fee or instead of $138.00 he said I owe $378.00 or so. A lien fee, and late fee in one day? For a future lien sale that work could not have possibly yet occurred and is not intended for people who are paying. Lien fees are for abandoned storage and people who can't pay.

I've been paying monthly for 7 years; and since this employee John has come aboard they have tried to do this last year as well. Extra Space's corporate motto "Our goal is to provide excellent service, a high-quality product and superior results to everyone that comes in contact with Extra Space Storage." needs to be upheld. The other time this happened Corporate office was very helpful in getting the District Manager to eventually contact me. The District Manager then negotiated a payment which removed additional fees tacked onto the unsubstantiated work (not) performed for lien fees. I still had to pay the one late fee and 85 dollar lien fee.

THE EMPLOYEES DEFINITELY get bonuses for the lien fees they place, which is why they take every opportunity to greed on their customers. The employee who was there had stated they'd published my storage in a newspaper for auction which was found to be false. I believe that misstatement may have helped remove the tacked on fees on top of lien fees.

So find out who your District Manager is and tell them what has happened and what you would like to see done about it. I will do the same, I just loathe dealing with unreasonable people who mess with me because they can load my belongings over my head as ransom. These are unethical business practices and not in alignment with stated corporate policies.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Extra Space Self Storage?

I've been renting the same storage space for 4 years, and every thing was fine until Cube Smart sold the property to Extra Space Storage. The monthly fee has been paid by my company credit card for all that time, but when Extra Space took over, there was obviously some issues with transfer of account information. Unbeknownst to me, Extra Space was not able to obtain payment from my credit card for two months, and they assessed a $24 late fee twice followed by a $85 "Pre-foreclosure" fee. Then, miraculously, on 24 August, they were able to extract a payment of $393 dollars for two months rent, insurance, late fees and the "Pre-foreclosure" fee.

So obviously, they were doing something wrong during July and August, and finally figured it out. I complained a week and a half ago, and got to speak with Brittany today who gave me the same corporate line despite my pleading that it was not my fault, and how could they do this to a 501 (c)(3) veterans' organization? She was totally heartless, and my suspicious mind thinks perhaps her bonus comes from screwing people with these bogus charges which, in my view, are the result of their incompetence. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE PIRATES!!!

I had two side-by-side storage units while looking for an apartment. After finally moving into my new apartment, I wanted to consolidate what was left into just one storage unit, which they was impossible because the computer couldn't do it (!). Then they raised the rent by $50 for the two. I decided on a storage unit at a different, locally-owned place and it cost $300 in labor and truck rental but it was worth it. Their parting shot was to charge me ("computer mistake") for the following month, even though the onsite manager and I went through the entire close-out process. And 3 weeks later the computer still has not credited my account that $180.

I have been renting from Extra Space Storage in Corpus Christi for almost 2 years now and my rent has just been increased for a third time with no warning. Over my rental period I've had my gate code locked twice so that I was unable to gain access and I've had signs of rats in my unit. Today I went to my storage locker and found that it had been double locked by the manager. Since there is no longer a manager on site we had to wait for half an hour for the manager to show up to let me in to my locker that was paid up to date.

The manager states this was the second time today he had to come down to let a paying customer in. The manager offered no explanation and no real apology as to why he had locked me out and wasted my time today. We noticed that 8 other units in our building had been double locked as well so this does not appear to be a random incident. I will be vacating ASAP and will warn anyone currently there or considering renting from Extra Space to give it some careful consideration.

I fell one month behind on my account due to some unexpected bills. I had been a customer with Extra Space at one of their Amarillo locations for the last 3 years paying $120 a month for a small closet size unit. At 36 days they slap an 85 dollar fee. I explained I get paid on that 36th day and could pay Immediately. Not good enough. They say the 'computer assess the fine' they 'can't stop it'. Spoke to a Regional General Manager named Brittany at ** who towed the company line saying the fine would be assessed. They assess the fine at midnight the same time my money hits. That's an easy 85 dollars to make.

I can understand now why people leave such ugly comments about this company. The CEO Spencer F Kirk hides from social media. You can barely find him on LinkedIn. I think it's sad a company doesn't want to work with its customers and even worse the CEO can't be bothered enough to have contact information to receive feedback about his company. So, what is this 85 dollar snafu gonna cost them? A customer of course. I'll get my stuff out within a week and that 5x5 closet size can sit empty rather than earn an easy 120 a month. Do they care? No. But you, after reading this should be aware and stay away from this company. Spread the word.

Be careful, Extra Space likes to give large rent increases a few months after you move in. Plus they do not tell about all of their charges over the phone. Instead you find out about it at the time of signing the contract. Be careful.

With no warning, with no justification, they raised the unit rate from $204 to $290. When confronted, they gave me gobbledegook. I cancelled them INSTANTLY! They INSTANTLY lost my business. I also have an account with them in Las Vegas which I will cancel as soon as possible. I suggest NO ONE do business with them.

The customer service here is awful from both employees and management. I signed up for a storage unit 10x10 for 188.00 a month which I didn't even need and they knew that I'll update a pic. It's huge. I get the first months free so I use my credit card to pay. The next month I receive a email saying "Thank you for payment of 188.00 to extra space." I'm like "What?" I never even authorized them to automatically take payment out of my account. I called and I was very upset. That credit card has a limit on it. I wouldn't use that for an automatic payment nor did I agree to do such. The employee was very abrupt saying there was nothing he could do until I said I would call my card company and dispute the payment for non-authorization and remove my things from their establishment - all of a sudden he can refund me back the money. Then he agreed to call me back when it was done so I can use my bank card instead.

We argued over the matter for 5 mins before that just him saying he didn't sign me up. I'm like "So that doesn't mean you can't fix it?" I didn't mind paying just not with that card. I was so upset instead of him helping he was just acting like nothing could fix it and I have to wait for the manager. 3-4 days later I get a call from the manager telling me I owe 223.00. I'm like "What? I spoke with the employee. He would call me back once my other transaction was sent through. I never agreed for automatic payments."

He gets upset saying, "Oh now it's 1 day late. Now it's 223.00." I'm like "And whose fault is that? Not mine. I didn't authorize you to use my credit card and needed to make sure my money was back to avoid paying double." He's like well he doesn't see that in the notes. I should've called and paid. I'm like, "Why would I pay twice?" First he says he can't reverse it. Then says he can but it will take a few days and he's gonna call me.

It's like shady business. What kind of games are being played? What type of scams? You know I'm frustrated now. I'm like "Well, I don't have to put up with your customer service. You're very rude and abrupt - you and your employee." He goes on to say the movers I hired broke his gate. LIKE ARE YOU THE MANAGER or what? I said, "Sir that has nothing to with me and doesn't mean you take your anger out on me. I am the customer and I am always right. You should be helping not fighting. I can move my stuff out if this is the service you offer." SMH. Then he says he can remove the late fee and I'm like, "And how long before I move my things?" He's like "The 31st." He wasn't even trying to let me talk. They don't have the right to speak to people any kinda way. I don't like that. Don't do business with them. The lack of professionalism is intolerable and I won't stand for it. You shouldn't either.

I went to my storage unit to move out as it was the 29th day of the month and didn't want to continue paying for another month. Arriving at my storage unit I found that my key to my Extra Space lock did not work. I went over to the office and told the site manager Stephanie that my key didn't work and asked if she had a duplicate key. She told me she did not have a duplicate and that she could cut the lock off. Stephanie cut the lock off and I moved all my items out of the unit. I returned to the office to terminate the lease and was told by Stephanie that the next month payment was already taken out of my bank account (I was on automatic payment) and there were no refunds.

I was reviewing the termination document on the customer monitor when Stephanie reached over the counter and shut off the monitor, and handed me the receipt and said "here," and walked away from the front desk to the back office. Bad customer service. I think they set up the automatic payment to come out a few days prior to the beginning of the next month and then tell the customer, no refunds, even if the customer moves out on the last day of the month.

I have been at this location for over 5 years. Been with 3 different owners. This one is the best. First off, the gentleman and gentlewoman that manage this place are so nice and professional. The gentleman, Rene, has been there during all 3 owners. I'm so glad that he's still there! Going in when paying the bill, is like visiting good friends or family. Brittany the other half of this dynamic duo is just fabulous also, lots of smiles all the time. Rene and Brittany are very professional, and well-informed. They BOTH keep me up-to-date. I was informed by letter that new roll-up doors were going to be installed with a private security firm videotaping the whole process. How cool is that?

Rene came up with an idea to install them on my units farthest away from the office. Again very cool. That's how this team thinks and performs, OUT OF THE BOX I call it! The locks look tamper proof, no room for a pry bar. And with an manager on site, Rene roams the site on a golf cart just before the automatic gate shuts down for the night. He has URGED ME to pick up the pace, and leave before closure. Brittany and Rene are doing a good job filling up the site with customers. As I see it the more customers there are around, the more eyes are open to mischief and such.

I know they will react promptly if I see something NOT NORMAL when I tell them. They even have an security company do drive throughs before the site is closed for the night. Again how cool is that! I'm old fashioned, in that when I get good service and expert help. I make a comment to folks in higher places. It's just as easy to complain, and I do my share of that also. And take Brittany's advice, buy the round cylinder lock they carry in stock. I've never seen one before. Same price as a good master lock but no room for a pry bar. Thanks guys...

This company is not customer oriented. This is a self service storage company so all you need is access to your unit. I have never been late or not paid my rent. Yet I am unable to access my unit without notification. The corporate office does not call customers back and the employees at the facility on Sherman St in San Diego watch customers on the security system and shout comments at them while they come and go to their units. There is no bathroom available after 6:00pm. I assume they expect you to pee in the nearest bush. Store your items here at a risk of never seeing them again. Money mongers, non-friendly people that enjoy stressing out the public. They will go out of their way to screw with you and set you up for failure so they can steal your items in storage. I am wondering why the laws of California do not protect us against these people. Since they do not, I am telling you go somewhere else to store. These people will only frustrate you.

I tried to pay the bill by phone, got a confirmation number and everything. Noticed it was not taken off my debit card so I called and spoke with the always arrogant person who works there and he said "Yes I see you did attempt to pay but it is not on my register." I said "OK sometimes it takes a few days." I asked for him to call me back if the payment didn't go through. I forgot about it and then I get a registered letter saying they were selling my things and I owe not only late fees but 85$ more for filing fee, which I could not afford that and they also wanted all or nothing.

It's their system's mistake and no one cared about the fact I did attempt to pay. Thought that I had because that is the very point of the confirmation number is proof of payment. Stay away from this place not only for the above reason but the arrogant puke that works there and not to mention constant rent increases where they claim they notified you by mail. Funny I get everything but rent increase notices...strange!! RUN AWAY FROM HERE AND IF YOU ALREADY HAVE STUFF THERE GET IT OUT NOW.

I have been storing at the "La Quinta" facility for a little over 3 months and yesterday I confirmed my suspicions that someone had broken into my unit and stole Thousands of dollars worth of clothing, handbags, boombox, world globe, shoes, sandals, etc. I was overwhelmed with pain and sorrow! These are my personal items I love and am attached to. Some of it belongs to my daughter, and I thought I could trust this corporation, being so large, but this is not the case. I only hope that they pay me for the items missing, it's the least they can do.

The worst place for storage. They pull toy in with an initial low payment $35.00 then $75.00 per month but no flexibility or common sense in discretion or applying good business to clients. Going through hardship, skipped the month of April's payment. May's payment, I came in to pay both months of April and May. On May 12, only 5 days from May's due date of 7th, I get it's second month but by only 5 days. So I come in to pay it and am informed the total is now $277.00 in full - no partial payments - $87.00 being for PRE-FORFEIT FEES? Billing automatic on computer?

When I called yesterday and the total was $199.00, come today it's $277.00, and WON'T ACCEPT MY $200.00 payment. And after asking why and getting angry, said "ok I'll take the $199.00, but you still won't be able to use gate code and still be set for pre-auction." I'm like WHAT? Real, real STRICT, RIGID, BOGUS PLACE. SHIFTY. LACK ANY QUALITY CUSTOMER SERVICE OR FAIR BUSINESS PRACTICE. THIS PLACE SUCKS. More like no management - just a rip off scam to keep your stuff. Stay away from this company, they stink. Rick was no good manager - could never do. Jack, always upper management, had them all in bondage. No one can do nothing for you, the customer.

This company unprofessionally and discriminatorily refuses to conduct business by email and does not inform you of this. There was a problem with my direct deposit and I was not informed through email. My lifetime of clothing, heirlooms, memories and belongings were sold without my knowledge. Professional business is done through email. By refusing to do this, Extra Space Self Storage purposefully is running a scam on the disadvantaged. For example, a soldier deployed abroad can lose everything they have because this company refuses to professionally and respectfully conduct business by email. It's a manipulative scam.

When we initially moved in, we obtained a partially obstructed unit, as far away from the doors as possible. For this we received two discounts -- one 10% discount because we only have 90 square feet of floor space and the other because I'm a disabled vet. Extra space bought out the previous company. Unit prices initially went from $74,20/month to $87/month in a year with 3 percent deflation. In the second year, the price increased again from $87/month to $111/month. We had 0.5% inflation that month.

Yesterday, received a notice in the mail that prices will rise again from $111 to $121 -- an increase of 10 percent in an era where inflation is flat, and the electrical prices the storage company is facing (their principal expense) has decreased 10 percent in the past year. If this disabled veteran could handle the back strain, I'd be moving out, but it is dangerous for me to do so...so I'll remain, subject to the immoral extortion of the company. Any company that treats those of us who kept the nation protected so they could build these businesses this badly deserves to be out of business. To all: If at all possible, store your stuff elsewhere, or sell it in a garage sale. Until these owners come to their senses, they don't deserve your business. Not now....not ever.

My experience with Extra Space Self Storage went from heavenly to hellish in the time it took for me to move my things into one of their units. I was facing a hardship, and had lost my home. Once I had moved out, I had to find a place for my belongings in a hurry. Enter Extra Space. The manager, Marten, was very welcoming and cordial upon accepting my business, and I thought that I would be able to see through the other end of homelessness without too much trauma. I found a new place two weeks later, and returned to move some of my things in my new home.

As I was moving things out, I was confronted by one of the Extra Space personnel, who was rude and kept coming up to me telling me that I had to leave. He actually started shouting at me to leave. I told him that I was just finishing up putting my things away and that it would take just a few minutes. This wasn't enough for him. He kept telling me to get out. So I asked him if he could help me put my things in my unit, and he replied that he doesn't work for me, and to get out. I finally told him: "Look, I can put my things away, or I can argue with you. I can't do both."

Additionally, Marten, the manager, doesn't keep his posted hours. I went to his office for a question only to find that he had closed his office several minutes before the posted 6:00 pm posted time. And finally, when I came to make a cash payment to settle my account and take my things out, Marten refused to accept payment. When I asked for his supervisor, he refused, saying that there is no one else to talk to. But when I asked: "and if I find out the name of your supervisor through other means, what then?" Marten took down my number and said that someone would call me to talk to me. No call came. It was just a simple storage space. And now I have to get an attorney involved just to get closure with this company. There are several self-storage facilities in your neighborhood. If one of them is Extra Space Self-Storage, I have only two words of advice: Just. Don't.

I am at Oak Tree Road, Edison, NJ Extra Space standing outside since last 1 hours and main door is lock. It is not processing anyone codes to open or close main gate. Many customers are standing inside. Office use to remain open till 6:00pm but no one was available at 5:45pm. I call customer service and they said technician will reach in 15 minutes and I still waiting. Technician took 1 hour to reach us.

Within 6 months of renting the rate increased without notice, they also reversed a payment made on time and charged me a $35 late fee!! When talking with management, he could have cared less and when I said "Extra Space". Clearly wasn't interested in my business his response "Oh well". DO NOT RENT FROM THIS DESPICABLE COMPANY - I AM IN SALT LAKE BUT FROM THE REVIEWS THE OPERATION IS THE SAME.

Extra Space Storage Rosamond, CA. Local management was quite receptive during the initial review of the units, but once I was renting a number of their units, the attention and service soon disappeared! A layer of sand immediately started to accumulate in the units on a regular basis. Local management's reply was that they could not control the weather. Local management had issues with break-ins.

Then after six months, the rate increased without proper notification (a breach of contract). Local management kept diverting responsibility to corporate management. One comment from local management about the rate increase was it could have been more. After not receiving adequate response from local management about the rate increase, I notified them (per the contract) that I was releasing my rental units. Local management's response was extremely curt and dismissive, "Sweep the units out and leave the doors open". BEWARE, they really do not care about the customer nor their belongings.

Shady business dealings in the monthly rent department and lease. Since I am waiting for the lease I signed to be emailed now I can't say for sure how this clause that can raise rent anytime is stated. The store manager was very good at having me sign things quickly to get the space rented to me expeditiously, but he was not as quick at giving me a copy of the lease to read over. What he did give me was a brochure and the receipt for my first month rent and fees. No copy of the lease was sent nor was there ever an attempt to send me one. No postcard notice of the rent being raised was sent either even though the store manager said there was. Can you believe that? I don't.

The reason for the rent increase was the costs of doing business. They can say that every day if they chose to do so and raise your rent. What I understand "now" is they can again raise my rent in 9 months. The store manager said they can or will do that. Interesting. So they raised the rent after 4 months and now "maybe" they won't raise it for another 9 months? I think they will.

My advice to the readers is not to rent at their facilities until they provide more stable rent scales and consumer friendly leasing. The facility I rent at is very nice, but before long I will be out of there because of the way they charge me rent. Those come-on rates are no deal. They are a hoodwink to get you in there. From what I am reading here I see we have all been taken. My intention now is to report them to the State Dept. of Consumer Protection in CT and file a complaint with them and the Attorney General's Office.

In less than 3 years I have received so many price increases that I am paying more than 50% over my original price, and almost half again as much as they are currently advertising empty spots of the same size/type to new customers for. The price increases put them far over any other local storage... unfortunately it costs a significant amount of time to move to another storage unit. Even so, I will find time this summer. Even renting a truck several weekends and paying for a month of overlapping storage would save me money very quickly. I feel conned, and trapped by the moving time. I do not have a weekend or two to waste, but will have to.

What good is storage if I can't actually leave my stuff there very long? They aren't any better than the other places either; 'indoor' just means it mostly has a roof (though the storage area's walls do not go up to it, so birds still fly inside). I think it has cameras by the gate... which works most of the time... mostly. The gate does close relatively early, which will hamper moving my stuff.

Extra Space storage has been providing storage needs for our business and personal for more than 10 years. We moved to Santa Fe and got a great rate in January 2015 for both a personal storage unit and one for our business. In 6 months, the rate was increased by $13/mo and was just given notice that the rate for our personal unit was going up $60! What?! Calling the local office was fine and was told they would apply for a rate reduction and let me know within 2 days. When that didn't happen, I just called and was told the request was declined. They didn't care if I left as the going rate was $234/mo and my rate was only $228/mo so they would make more if I did move out. Really? That was all they could say? The increase for the office unit was minimal, but our personal rate went up 40% in 6 months. Wow, very disappointing and with very few storage options in Santa Fe, we are stuck. Guess we will be having a storage sale!

I have never written a review, but with the experience I had at Extra Space Storage in Connecticut I just had to take action. I drove 2 hours from Boston to CT to pick up a storage auction locker for my brother, something we've been doing for 15 years. I had a receipt, the money and my brother's consent. But because my name was not on the receipt Mr.** shoved the papers at me and then got loud. I tried to explain but he would not listen, he was being very disrespectful and nasty. After I called corporate and explain my situation, they were totally helpful and I was able to pick up the storage locker. I am very surprised that Extra Space Storage would have someone so unprofessional like that working for them. ** at 132 Silas Deane Hwy, Wethersfield, CT. DON'T GO!!

I gave the mgr. $820 for a storage unit I bid on online and won but he wouldn't give me a receipt, told me to get out by a certain time or I would be locked in. When confronted to see a regional/area mgr. his response "There are none." I want my money back and my online account restored immediately.

Put all of my personal belongings in storage at Extra Space Storage 720 South Washington St. North Attleboro, MA 02760 month of November which was free. Unable to pay for the month of December and January, due to financial constraints. I was informed that my unit would be auctioned off on 01/19/16. I called the manager ** and explained that I am going through financial difficulties and health problems. "Could you please try to understand my position and give me time to pay what I owe, please." ** said he would see what he could do after much pleading with him. Never got back to me.

On Tuesday day of auction 01/19 I went to office and spoke with a young girl who made an attempt to contact mngr. He never returned **'s call. I asked if unit had been sold. She made the attempt to look in computer but was unable to access info. So, she wasn't sure. I explained that I spoke to ** but he didn't get back to me. I said my belongings had better not leave the unit. That I would somehow find a way to pay. ** in turn said nothing could be done if unit had been sold. ** said that she would continue to try and reach **. I said "Please call me tonight as I am sick over this". No call from **! Received a call from ** on 01/20 stating that the unit had been sold. I asked once again to please have ** call me. No call!

Went online to get corporate number and then that's when I started reading all the negative reviews. Started calling corporate 9:00 on 01/21 after several attempts someone finally picked up. I spoke with **, explained, and was told nothing could be done. Asked to speak to someone above her. Spoke with ** senior mngr. and was told the same. I couldn't accept that. I asked what has happened to human compassion? I explained that I went through a divorce after 30 years of marriage. I have many health problems that put me in the hospital. The only reason I put what I have left in storage is because I was storing my things in a garage and a person that was using drugs stole a lot of my things for drug money. All I have left are sentimental items that would be of no use to anyone else but myself.

I lost both my parents at a young age to cancer. I only have many pictures, recipes passed through generations, and some items from my great grandmother which I treasure. All that I have left is in that unit. Doesn't matter! ** said he would call district mngr. for North Attleboro and he would be in touch within 24 to 48 hrs. I said I don't have that time to wait. ** the DM called within a 1/2 hr. Once again I explained. 0 compassion. He signed off on unit! And yes it had been sold! Only thing that could be done is for him to call ** and have him get in touch with person that purchased unit to see if I could buy it back from him and he doesn't have to comply. I called Boston hotline and spoke to a very nice woman that could only give her number, not her name. She said she would call North Attleboro and DM and call me back. She called and said that I can only hope that the new owner of my property would call me! She felt so bad.

DM didn't call her back! I called DM and asked if info was given and he said yes to mngr. person is under no obligation to call me. Totally up to he or she! I did inform all that I would have both Boston and Providence News come to storage to interview me on my behalf! They didn't like that! DM said I cannot go on property and harass employees! I said I know that! That's not my intention. I just want to be heard in hopes that people will get back to being real again and show kindness and compassion for others as they would want the same for themselves. My heart is broken. As I sit and patiently wait to see if I will indeed receive a call. Please... Can anyone help me? It's all I have left.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Extra Space Storage operates self-storage facilities across 38 states and Puerto Rico. They offer various storage unit sizes as well as storage for small to large vehicles and boats.

• Unit size: Extra Space Storage offers unit sizes ranging from from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 30 feet. This is equivalent to the size of a small walk-in closet to the size of a one-and-a-half car garage. They also offer enclosed garage style parking to protect vehicles as well as outdoor covered or uncovered parking.
  • Moving tips: Consumers can find online moving tips via informational videos or guides. Planning tips include information on downsizing, staging your home for sale and hiring a moving company. Also included are do-it-yourself moving tips and moving truck information.
  • Discounts: For people moving themselves, Extra Space Storage partners with Budget Truck which offers a variety of trucks and vans. Consumers can call their toll-free number online to reserve a truck and save up to 20 percent. If people rent for a year or more they can receive the 13th month for free.
  • Storage lease: Storage leases are offered on a flexible month-to-month basis or a long-term, prepaid, yearly basis. Insurance is required for each unit rented. Monthly payments can be made on-site, online, by phone or by mail. Upon vacating the unit, consumers need to give a verbal 2-day notice or a written 15-day notice.
  • Service areas: Extra Space Storage operates in 38 states and Puerto Rico. Consumers can go online for a breakdown of cities and which units are available in each city.
  • Best for Consumers needing short or long term storage and vehicle storage.

Compare Self Storage and Portable Storage Companies