2.7/5 (164 ratings)

About Extra Space Self Storage

Extra Space Self Storage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Extra Space Self Storage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Extra Space Self Storage?

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

I am a 100% service-connected veteran, I had several hospitalizations since December and I was in rehab for months, Extra space storage in Seabrook, NH did not tell me they auctioned my stuff off; until I found out when I got out of rehab. When I called the office they told me they were in touch but never received a call or text on the amount to pay, in the past I even received an e-mail that gave me a link to make the payment this was not done, or did they care about it either. When I called the office they said, "By my voice, they can hear I could be black so they do not know whether I could pay in the first place", now I have had the unit for over 4 years and had several hospitalizations but was able to pay.

The manager at the storage location was rude and racist and told me they were going to tell me my stuff is auctioned off. Do not use these people they are inconsiderate and could care less about your stuff they are there to protect. They change the locks as frequently as they change their underwear and take your stuff they say they are auctioning off. Use another storage facility that actually cares about the people.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2021

I have had a Storage Unit with Extra Space Storage for about 2 and a half years now. I have never had a late payment, don't have a climate controlled unit and it's outside which tends to collect all the dirt and leaves at the doorway outside and inside from the wind. It's not the top of the line space for storage. Anyway, I received a letter in April of 2021 that my rate would increase by $22.00. I called the office and spoke with a property Manager back in April and was told that is a regular thing and that it was only $22.00 which they said was not a significant increase. I was not happy with it as I was under the impression I had locked in on my rate or at least that is what you are somewhat lead to believe when signing your papers.

Now December 15th I receive yet another letter saying my monthly payment will increase $60.00 by January 15th of 2022. I called and again spoke to the property Manager and was told they would call and see if they could get the increase decreased but that there was no promise. I asked for a number to the corporate office so I could call and I was told they don't have one I could contact. So basically the corporate office hides behind the property managers as if they know there is going to be push back and they don't want to deal with it. I am still waiting to hear back from the phone call I made on 12-16-20121.

Also, they send this notice out during two major Holidays plus an influx of the Covid flu spreading, which by the way I recently happened to get and have been dealing with getting better. Now, I would wonder why this kind of business act has not been addressed by on a federal level. Maybe a class action lawsuit or a bill to put some guidelines in on these types of companies. I am all for them making money but give some type of initial option lock in at this price for X amount of time or pay this amount and take a chance on the price to increase. Had I known before I got the unit this was going to be the case I would have never given them a thought to have my business and stored my items at their property. I feel like it is shady, unethical, and just plain bad business.

I have rented units from many other companies in over 25+ years and have never had a price increase. I would really like to see something change these standards, not just because of my situation but for others as well. I am positive by reading the many other hundreds of complaints this will eventually make its way to the right desk. I am cutting my business dealings with this company and will not ever recommend them to anyone so long as they operate business like this and treat their loyal customers like garbage. Consumers have rights!

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

Bait and switch is what they do. Lure you in with ok pricing then raise and raise. 6 months ago I was 87.00. They just raised it to 181.00. I'll be moving soon. You are not locked in on the price. They tell you that but the contract is different.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2021

After 18 months, this facility increased rates by 50%. I learned of the increase on my credit card statement. This is highway robbery. Even in the face of today's inflation, their rate increase is nothing more than price gouging. They claim the new rate is "competitive", but I have researched other facilities and found many quality facilities with significantly lower rates. Do not store with Extra Space. All leases are "Month to month" and that enables them to raise rates whenever and however much they want.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

Raised my monthly rate by 74% within a 2 year period!!! If that's not bad enough, I only found out because of my credit card statement. Upon calling the local facility, I was told they failed to mail out the rate increase letter.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

Existing Customers - Beware of large rate increases! Extra Space Storage doesn't care about their existing/long term customers and they have no rhyme or reason to the frequency (or percentage) of rate increases for existing customers; Their business is strictly supply and demand and they are more than happy with allowing existing customers leave if they don't want to pay the rate increase so they can draw in the next unsuspecting victim. They aren't really willing to work with you that much either. Site Managers say they have to check with Corporate...Corporate says it is up to the Site Manager.

I have multiple units and all of them have been slated for a LARGE increase (68% after 4 months, 52% after 24 months, 32% after 9 months). I'm okay with reasonable annual increases, but this is crazy. Even if there is another Extra Space Storage location that offers a lower price; they'd rather make you move your stuff than to give you the lower rate. You can't sign contract for long term even if you wanted to. This allows them to force the increase on their existing customers. However, if market demand was low, you won't see them contacting you to LOWER your rate!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2021

I have a storage unit with Extra Space storage facility and this company handles the insurance for them.. I have a 5000 insurance coverage on my storage unit.. Rodents destroyed everything my children and myself had left of our life that was put in this storage unit. This company has no regard for honoring their own contract that they are in breach of.. My claims adjuster still never returned any of my calls or emails. I finally got in touch with her supervisor and spoke to him 1 time on November 22, 2021 and no return calls or emails since.. Our loss occurred on October 27, 2021. Here it is December 4, 2021 and still nothing... No Matter how many calls I've made, no Matter how many emails I've sent.. Nothing from this company. They could care less that they are breaching their own contract and no regard for their customers that they are supposed to be protecting in situations like this. Please please please help us.. Claim #**.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2021

I've had several Extra Space Storage units in two different states but never had them for more than 3-4 months. I always chose them because the price was so good. Haha now I know why! I am currently in a unit and it's been 4 months and I noticed that the price they charged me this month was TWICE the price I have been paying!!! I called and they said "it's in your lease agreement the price will 'go up' after 3-4 months". Well who reads the 4 page lease agreement so I asked if they can keep the price the same. They said no but the manager said they'd "try" to negotiate a better price and let me know but it would be still 50% higher.

Then I also found out they raise your rate 2-3x in the first year then 1x a year after that so my rate could be 3-4x the original. Wow that's really bad customer relations. They should say all this upfront CLEARLY before you rent and not hide it all in the fine print you never will read. I'm done with them. I am moving to Public Storage at least they don't have pre-scheduled rate increases.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

I have had my building since last October 2020, since then my fees has gone up at least 3 times… Citing Economic changes.. I’m just trying to figure out what changes because there isn’t anything different other than these prices… Customer Service is horrible.. They don’t try & work with you. They rather put your items up for Auction…

Original review: Nov. 21, 2021

Beware. This place brings you in at low rates then increases them after the first 3 months. Unfortunately, my rent went up by 37% from $98 to $156. The same unit is $88 on the website. Find another spot.

Extra Space Self Storage author review by Jessica Render

Extra Space Storage operates self-storage facilities across 38 states and Puerto Rico. They offer various storage unit sizes as well as storage for small to large vehicles and boats.

• Unit size: Extra Space Storage offers unit sizes ranging from from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 30 feet. This is equivalent to the size of a small walk-in closet to the size of a one-and-a-half car garage. They also offer enclosed garage style parking to protect vehicles as well as outdoor covered or uncovered parking.

• Moving tips: Consumers can find online moving tips via informational videos or guides. Planning tips include information on downsizing, staging your home for sale and hiring a moving company. Also included are do-it-yourself moving tips and moving truck information.

• Discounts: For people moving themselves, Extra Space Storage partners with Budget Truck which offers a variety of trucks and vans. Consumers can call their toll-free number online to reserve a truck and save up to 20 percent. If people rent for a year or more they can receive the 13th month for free.

• Storage lease: Storage leases are offered on a flexible month-to-month basis or a long-term, prepaid, yearly basis. Insurance is required for each unit rented. Monthly payments can be made on-site, online, by phone or by mail. Upon vacating the unit, consumers need to give a verbal 2-day notice or a written 15-day notice.

• Service areas: Extra Space Storage operates in 38 states and Puerto Rico. Consumers can go online for a breakdown of cities and which units are available in each city.

by Jessica Render ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Jessica Render is dedicated to providing well-researched, valuable content designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions they can feel confident making. She holds a degree in journalism from Oral Roberts University.

Extra Space Self Storage Company Information