1.32/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

213 Extra Space Self Storage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Rats and bad customer service, customer service is awful. They feel it’s not a problem when it come to people personal thing. Call about the making a payment but not worried about the rat problems they have.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I was sent a letter telling me how much they liked my business but I need to remove my trailer or it will be towed. When I told the manager I was leaving she told me, "No refunds without prior notice." Then I was told they cannot give me a refund in less than 2 weeks. The same day I get a email telling me I am welcome if I ever need space. Today I get another email asking how was my move out. No refund yet.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I have had a storage room at Extra Space at 2828 NW 62nd in Oklahoma City for over 20 years. I moved out today and moved to a U-Haul facility that is twice as far from my home because the service at Extra Space was non-existent. The manager is frequently not on property and the gate is ALWAYS left open. Anyone can go in and out at any time. To add to my misery, the rates keep going up. My unit rent is now $246/month. The same size unit at U-Haul is $129/month. In addition, the security at U-Haul is very strict and operates 24/7. I have spoken with Extra Space corporate about my problems here, but they were never addressed. I'm very happy that I don't have to give this company another dollar.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Price gouging. They constantly raise rates. Mine was raised in July and now again in November. Beware. They offer you an attractive rate to get your business, but after that you'll experience continuous rate increases. In my case, my rate has gone up twice this year. When I rented this space it was 52. Now, it's 74. Scam.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Great place but I have got to say, the way my rate has raised is ridiculous. My initial rate was $160, within the last year, my rate has raised over $100. They have slowly and steadily increased my rate by $20-$40, each every couple months, and now I am paying over $260. When I originally signed up, it was $160!!! The staff and facility is good, but there is no explanation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Extra Space Self Storage?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I stored with them for over a year. On 11-19-19 I lose it because I was unable to catch up. Due to medical and relocating issues. I just needed a few more days. Also each month my late charges changed. My rent went up without my knowledge. It was told to me after I asked about the different in charges. They claimed the information was sent to me. But I went into their office, this is when I was told??? Also they didn't auction off my things. They offered my belongings to their associates, after they noticed it was video, Then they processed to act as if it was an auction. Also pulled a van in front of the storage to stop my video. Then laughed at me.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I have been a loyal customer since 2014, yet the company does not care about loyalty or being a good customer. The company increases the rent automatically every couple of months, “it is policy” is what I am told. The company revenued over 1.10 billion USD in 2017. Greed. Pure greed! Another problem I have had, I was on automatic payments with my credit card for my son's unit. I was charged a late fee in September, how can that be when the card was being automatically charged each month? When I called to rectify the overcharged, they refused to talk to as it is my son's unit, however it is my credit card and I am the one who has paid out over $6K these past four and a half years! Junior and Mitchell at the facility know me, they know the hardship I had, they know I am his mother yet they refused to help me. Very dissatisfied! Beware!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

My daughter had used this Extra Space Self Storage and recommended it to us. It is easy to get to for us and I was pleased to see it is very clean and well kept. The best feature for us is that all the units are drive up and that makes it convenient. Some of the other facilities we inquired about had indoor units that required going through the building and using an elevator in some cases. The Extra Space unit we have are also less expensive so we consider it a win-win.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

We stopped by to get some things out of our unit, it was infested with rats! Spoke to the person in the office to ask why we weren't informed, he said they didn't want everybody vacating their units, that we should have known there would be rats since there is an open field behind the units.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Don't rent from here ever. Very disappointed with how this operation is run. I moved my inventory to this location just under a month ago. I expressly told them that I would be using the storage for business. There were and still are many items that I have in stock that are not properly inventoried and I have been spending more time there than even I had wanted. Nonetheless, I had not been told that there would be limits as to the time I was allowed to be there when I signed up, decided to spend 100s of dollars to rent a truck, take 5 days off of work to facilitate the move. The first time It was suggested to me (remember I just moved under a month ago) that maybe I shouldn't spend so much time there, to which I thought they were kidding because if anyone wanted to get out of there it was me but this is work.

The second time, I had been taking photos to list some items and a staff member, in his infinite wisdom, proceeded to give me suggestions on how I could achieve my goals by perhaps lessing my time at the facility. This condescending approach to customers and their affairs is right about at my limit for what I feel to be tolerable. I was there a lot, I had a lot to do and most if not all had to be done on site. I was frustrated at this point, feeling I was doing the best I could. At the same time, I didn't get into running my own business to be micromanaged by pretentious, invasive staff making me feel bad about doing exactly what I had told them upon signing, I would be doing. This isn't my first storage unit, and I have never had this issue before. The only reason I ever move is because eventually the rent gets raised above what I want to pay.

This is the best part, I paid 7 days early, in cash, only to get an email saying thank you for your payment of $0 followed by today, when no less than an hour after getting there my manager, oh no I'm sorry, I work for myself, The employee so keen on knowing what is and isn't necessary for my business comes up to me to advise me that I have 72 hours to vacate. WHAT!!!

I ask why, I'm told that the decision has been made by the district manager, Patty and tells me they will refund my payment. I ask him again why and this is what I was told: 1: I spend too much time there (unreasonable amount of time is the supposed violation. Who decides what unreasonable is unknown as it is not detailed in the lease or anywhere else for that matter, they also said I was Loitering which I found hysterical as the sole reason of my being there is to get work done, I took smoke breaks every few hours maybe that was it.) 2: I come after I know the office is closed when I know no one is there. 3: When moving from an Extra Space up the street I "stole" a cart and left it at their facility.

#1 I think I have already addressed. #2 If I make a sale or need to post a package in the morning I'll come anytime between 6-10 like the access hours my lease specified allows me. The Idea that I care at all what their schedule is, is beyond me. I am far too busy with my own crap to worry about what their offices hours are. Furthermore It to me suggests they think I'm doing something inappropriate after their offices hours which with an onsite live-in manager who patrols the facility during all hours, would be of concern. The fact is, he never got around to explaining that part after I continuously asked what was wrong with being there during the posted access times

#3 The most inconsequential but my favorite, I had asked the manager when I had rented my truck, if dollies got switched would that be an issue. I was told no, it would not. I will fully admit that at the end of it all, there may have been a +1 at this location. At the end of it all a matter that I would have happily resolved had it been brought to my attention (I don't know how many dollies there should be). Instead I get a head shake as if I just farted in church shame shame shame. WOW. Great customer service.

To wrap it up, as far as I can tell Extra Space's lease does allow for operator to terminate at will for any reason WITH A 15 DAY WRITTEN NOTICE. a 72 hour notice to vacate is a made up policy and illegal in CA. The only applicable 72 hour notice would be for a timeframe in which you would need to Pay, or correct a violation of your lease, such as "you have 72 hours to remove the 20 gallon drums of gasoline from your unit as it violates your leasing agreement to not store flammables or face eviction."

When I spoke with the District manager, Patty, she had no interest in hearing what I had to say and was more concerned on how and when I was leaving. when I asked how, after 2 comments from staff about how much time I spend there, that they just jump to eviction. (I took the comments as requests as I had seen nothing in the lease about a limit in terms of time spent there) She said they had no obligation to give me any warning. GREAT POLICY. This company does not have your interests at the top or even in there list.

I still have not received my refund, I'm told I must be out by the 5th of NOV. NONE of this has be documented and I have received nothing in writing. I will be requesting the formal paperwork so I will maintain my legal rights to go after them for the cost of a moving truck. I was lied to, told this was the place for me, spent $500 moving my stuff here and setting it up for my business only to be informally evicted.

It's Sad, the review before mentioned that he was comforted by his partner only to be spurned by staff. I had not thought anything of it but I had given my partner a hug after he had dropped off some things only the day before I was asked to leave. I haven't pursued a discrimination angle but the vagueness of their alleged violation coupled with a sudden change in their evaluation of my business there leads me to think that Daniel is not the only one. Don't rent from here ever.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Discrimination @ 9300 Research Drive Irvine, CA - I have been discriminated by the Employees & District Manager to the point they have asked me to move out for being gay after an employee seen my partner comfort me after my mom passed away. Since that day I have been mistreated and I went into the office on 10/19/18 where the employee made very derogatory comments to me and wouldn't give me her bosses' info. Why? Because she didn't want to get in trouble.

Eventually she gave it to me and her boss Tom & Patty both said I am a liar and that kind of thing doesn't happen in this day and age. I told them unless they are gay themselves they would have no clue what happens to us in this day and age. They basically told me they don't care and that I need to move out. I won't repeat the things that were said to me because they were very disrespectful. The staff use to be so nice to me until the day I was comforted by my partner. I am trying to reach someone of power there but I am not having much luck at all. I keep getting the runaround.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

We had a horrible experience at the Old Norcross Location and would recommend everyone avoid it to protect their property and for the incredibly POOR customer service. We rented a space to park our camper. First, their lax security allowed someone to squat in our camper--for over two weeks--which resulted in a mess for us to clean up. Moreover, the camper contained stolen merchandise that the squatter had taken from other storage units on the property. Second, our camper was actually stolen from the property a few months later.

I would have been more understanding, except for the fact that the property manager repeatedly ignored my calls when I tried to obtain information about getting compensation, or at least reimbursement for the fees we had paid. If you're smart, you'll find another place to store your property besides the facility on Old Norcross. I also tried to call the corporate office and was treated no better. Avoid this place.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I went a couple of weeks ago and took a short tour as a walk-in to see if they had the right unit for me. The guy who gave me the tour asked me if I had my own locks and I said yes. I went home and thought about it and I made a reservation for a unit. When I went back to the facility to sign in to my unit that had been reserved, I was informed that customers are not allowed to bring their own locks and have to buy one of the "cylinder" Locks that they have for sale for $17. on top of the move in fees making the free month not so free. A $67 per month locker with a free first month actually costs $41 to move in. The website does not even let you know that you have to have one of these specific types of lock. BUYER BEWARE. I wonder what other dishonest tactics they use.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

You automatically get a $20 late fee if you pay five days after the due date. They will tell you that you get a 5 day grace period, but in actually it is 4 days. This company does not work with you. My mother has an account with them and I'm trying to help her stay current, but they make it very hard.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I do not recommend this facility. It has major roof leak issues. Your belongings are not safe. When I brought my concerns to the staff member he said "maybe it won't leak over your unit". There was substantial leakage over other units. I removed my things asap. No concern was shown for my belongings.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

@ 7701 Banner Dr. Dallas TX 75251, the people here are honestly fake and extremely paranoiac about some renters. I have witnessed so many instances where the PR was so out of line to address easy issues. But obviously the color-ism sentiment is way strong and transpire so quickly on first occasion... The rate would be raised multiple times at a lightning speed in a few months from initial 'bait and switch' rental tasteless agreement. Some will watch others like potential criminal without even knowing many of these people are respectful human beings who do not disclose necessarily their class status. Just pathetic and so much prejudice to state the least. You'll better off to go somewhere else despite the relative good looks of the building. And many left and are leaving. Do not hate! Customers make this business keep going.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Items damaged by rats. They kept raising my rent. I contacted the CEO and they agreed to freeze it forever. You can contact the CEO Joe Margolis or ask for the District Manager's name and contact him too. I contacted the CEO Joe Margolis at **.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Extra Space Storage put my belongings including my son's medical equipment up for auction even though I paid up for August on August 31st. Even though I have always been charged on the 1st of every month for the past two years, they demanded September's rent on August 31st and when I told them I did not have the extra $123 after just paying 2 months rent plus the $85 lien fee, Ruben ** threatened to not take the $331 payment unless I signed a partial payment agreement.

He then told me that all my belongings will be auctioned if the $123 was not paid by September 13th. Even though I explained that I was a teacher who was unemployed for 10 weeks and my first full paycheck was on the 14th of September, when I could pay, he cold-heartedly refused to work with me and said to my face "y'all people think you can always get your way." When I told him that I had been a customer for over 2 years and that he was disrespectful, he told me not to "try to use the race card" with him. I tried reaching out to the corporate office several times but the district manager David ** stood by the local office's decision and refused to address the manner I was treated. I am currently seeking legal options to retrieve my belongings.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I mentioned several times wanted a 5x5. I moved into unit and only 4x4 or less. Ed Hansen said it was a 5x5. This company HQ is in UT run by: Corporate Headquarters 2795 East Cottonwood Parkway, Suite 400, Salt Lake City, Utah 84121. Tel (801) 365-4600. Joseph D. Margolis CEO. Irvine, CA Storage was robbed over 15 times per police. Call them and advised the truth. I was advised the Foothill Ranch, CA storage tenants were robbed 10 times in last 2 years.

The doors are thin. The thieves break the cheap doors. They don't lock up the buildings at night and leave storage units open where the crooks jump the fences at night to enter the open buildings. There are no cameras inside the storage units. But they pipe in music in the hall ways.

I have never been so cheated and lied to, in my entire life. I have only made ONE poor business posting in my life at 60 years old. This is the 2nd. It's takes a lot to make me angry due to cheated. This company are UT scum bags. CHECK ON THEM WITH POLICE AND YOU'LL FIND THEIR UNITS ARE BROKEN INTO OFTEN.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I have been with this rip off company for too many years. I’m sick and tired of the price changes every six months. I think I’m going to call my local news WAVYTV10 and ask them to do a report. I suggest anyone who sees this and know what I’m talking about does the same. I have never been with a company who does this. I’m in the military I pay on time and have been with them forever. The facility I am in is nice and fairly convenient to where I live. This price jacking is insane! Please report them to every possible social media and consumer reports avenue.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Do NOT store your personal belongings with Extra Space Storage. Search complaints and reviews online for this company and bring your business elsewhere. Due to the recession, I have been storing my furnishings and most of my personal belongings, including many family heirlooms, for over seven years at a cost of over $9000, with Extra Space Storage. My belongings were stored neatly in closed boxes and I made my payments on time each month. I had the option to store my belongings in a three car garage just one mile away from this Extra Space Storage facility, but I chose to go with a professional storage facility in order to keep my belongings clean and safe.

This turned out to be one of the worst decisions I have ever made. I went to retrieve my belongings two weeks ago and due to a large leak in the wall of this facility, ALL of my items were either damaged and covered with black, green and yellow mold or they smelled like mold. The mold was so severe that the company instructed two of its employees to stop helping me rebox five of the 125 boxes I had stored there. These boxes were the most damaged and they told these employees that it was too dangerous for their health. But apparently, their customers’ health is irrelevant since they never bothered to return my calls after this decision was made.

It was clear by the extent of the damage to my belongings that this wall in their facility had been leaking for many months to years, but nobody from Extra Space Storage ever notified me. They just kept taking my payments each month while frequently raising the rates as well. In my opinion, this is gross negligence due to Extra Space Storage not properly maintaining their property. The fact that I did not carry personal property insurance should be immaterial. I have now spent over two weeks obtaining furniture repair estimates and unpacking all of my belongings, discarding what has been destroyed by mold and cleaning what is salvageable. I then have to repack all of my belongings again for an upcoming move in the near future. I expect this enormous task to take another few weeks before being completed. Time-consuming and costly in an understatement.

Finally, the most unbelievable part of this entire situation is that a manager from Extra Space Storage actually threatened me via email by stating that if I shared my experience with Extra Space Storage publicly via reviews, social media, filing complaints, etc., Extra Space Storage would take legal action against me. I found this to be a bullying tactic and more importantly a freedom of speech issue.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Great and super friendly service! They explained prices and terms very clearly. Our stuff were exactly as we left them and we didn't lose anything. The temperature in the storage unit was appropriate. I will use their service in a heartbeat.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

These guys get you in with “specials” and then raise rates as fast as they can. They raised mine 2 times in less than a year to as much as 20%. I have a 10x10. Both times they sent postcard with same lame and FAKE excuse about “market change”. They also raise rates in the middle of summer and winter when weather makes it difficult to move out! For those of you in same situation, raise hell and complain to BBB, Yelp, State Dept of Consumer Affairs. These guys are crooks!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I rented a unit with Extra Space Storage. The experience wasn't a good one. When it rained the roof leaked and damaged some of the units. I had a death in the family and had to leave town. While I was gone I called to inform the staff that I wouldn't be able to make a payment until I got back and they sold my belongings at auction without giving me the common courtesy after going through a hardship such as a death in your family. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone ever in this lifetime.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Been renting a 10x10 storage unit for five months and paid on time. 6th month, Extra Space raises my rent 100% without notifying me and deducts it from my charge card. I call, and guy tells me they sent out a postcard notifying me about the increase a month ago. I never received it. I asked why they didn't notify me by email, text, phone or proper letter mail, and they told me they are a green company and don't waste paper, etc. They also told me a postcard is their notification process.

Totally despicable in every way. Called their corporate office many times, no return call. The guy tells me the rate will go up again in 6 months, but they can't tell me how much. I am looking for another company to store with and then I will relocate. Do not do business with Extra Space Storage. The contract they give you means nothing. Worst part: my unit has no lights and is NOT CLIMATE CONTROLLED as was promised. The lift by my unit is out of service at least 50% of the time. Shame on you, Extra Space Storage.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I was running a large storage area from Extra Space Storage in Pompano Beach (800 Northwest 31st Avenue). I went to downsize to a smaller unit and notice that the floor was ready to fall in because of termites. So I move back into my other storage and the manager ** provided me with three screws, a small sheet of plywood and her drill to fix the floors in the storage area that I had just moved out of. After investing my money and time replacing the floor the entire floor was infested with termites. While working on the floor my friend and I noticed rats running across the tops of the storage spaces. There's rat droppings everywhere. So if you plan on renting storage at Extra Space don't put any wood in there plus the rats will eat the rest of the stuff away. Bad idea to rent there no matter how nice the manager is.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I was a customer for a year and a half and moved out using the move out option online, I had a issue with management about a year ago so I don’t deal with them direct. So since I moved out they have hit my card twice. First time was the month after I moved out for $87.98 which is $20 on top of my monthly fee. Second time today for $66.78!!! They tell me I did not move out that I left stuff in there. Only thing left was two pallets which they provide and are scattered around the complex because if you don’t put them down first your stuff will get wet, on my side the units flood when it rains. So they have stolen almost $160 from me and are jerking me around about a refund. DO NOT GO WITH AUTOPAY WITH THESE PEOPLE, they are rude!!! Corporate is just as bad as the local as far as rudeness goes.

Original review: July 9, 2018

For 6 years, we have been leasers of a storage unit at the Extra Space Storage "ESS" Unit located at 945 Zerega Avenue, Bronx, NY 10462-7746. We planned to remove our items and vacate the facility on April 2018. However, upon visiting the facility, we noticed Asbestos Warning Signs Posted throughout the first floor. Since we are concerned about our health, we requested a clearance note/letter from ESS and was told that an employee who pregnant and worked on the first floor was not affected by the Asbestos. ESS said that this was their clearance.

We were adamant not to enter that facility because of the Asbestos, and yet they chose to send to us a Notice of Lien and Foreclosure and Notice of Insurance cancellation requesting immediate payment of $561.20. We spoke to ESS's Headquarters and was basically told the same that they could not do anything to resolve this matter amicably and that all fees remain. I would like to state that Extra Space Storage is not genuinely concern with its customers' needs other than collecting their fees... Bad business practices need and should to be report to all consumers.

Original review: July 6, 2018

When we signed up for the 10 x 25 unit we were told that there might be an increase of 5.00 in 9 months. After 5 months we got an 18.00 a month increase due to the "market rate". After many phone calls I was told we could have a one month rebate of 18.00 but the increase would remain in effect. She also said all the units were taken and that affects "market rate". I had a friend call and they told her there were 4 units available. So I am pretty worked up about the "market rate" scam and will write the Better Business Bureau, Chamber of Commerce, etc because it is just unfair. The scam appears to be industry wide so hopefully others will write and complain also.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I've had this unit for some time now. The workers there aren't very friendly but this is quite typical in the Bronx. I noticed they don't clean that well because there have been times I've smelled urine near the units. Not entirely their fault, since human beings should know not to urinate near people's units. One thing that bothers me is I wish they had longer hours to access the gate. I work downtown in the city and get off of work at 6pm. By time I get uptown it's 7:30 and that's if the train is running correctly (which is hardly ever). Access to the gate is until 7pm Mon-Fri. So I'm left with only Saturday & Sunday to access the unit. This alone is not always feasible since these are my only two days off and can be filled with several things to do.

One particular Sunday I wanted to grab my air conditioner out of our unit because we were due for a day of high temps and humidity. The ac was located right in front so when I opened up the gate to my unit I would just grab it out. On Sundays access to the gate is from 10am-4pm. I got to the unit at 3:45pm. I went in the office to grab a dolly really quick. I've had to grab something rather quickly before and it literally takes me all of 10 minutes. The worker told me I couldn't access the gate anymore because it was closed. I was confused and explained to him that the unit is open till 4pm and it is only 3:45pm. He proceeds to tell me that at 3:45pm if you are not already inside the gate you can no longer access your unit.

I told him that nowhere online or on the sign posted outside says that. He didn't care. I'm trying to explain to him that I really needed to get my air conditioner due to the weather we were about to have and it would only take me 10 minutes if that. Again he didn't care. At this point I'm livid. I go look outside and see that the actual sign says that everyday the gate is open from 7am-7pm. Everyday!

I go online and it say, "Open to 4pm." I try and look for any fine print stating what he told me. Did I find it? Absolutely not! It says the unit is open till 4pm. So why then are the managers of this particular facility able to close it before 4pm without making customers aware of that? I reached out to the customer service team on Facebook and spoke with someone who told me that should not be the case and if the facility says open till 4pm it should be open till 4pm. Not only that they told me they would have a manager from the facility call me. That never happened! Am I surprised? Not really! Most businesses in the Bronx operate this way. They have no customer service and don't respect the customers. What's worst is they promote managers who act in the same manner.

Extra Space Self Storage expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Extra Space Storage operates self-storage facilities across 38 states and Puerto Rico. They offer various storage unit sizes as well as storage for small to large vehicles and boats.

• Unit size: Extra Space Storage offers unit sizes ranging from from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 30 feet. This is equivalent to the size of a small walk-in closet to the size of a one-and-a-half car garage. They also offer enclosed garage style parking to protect vehicles as well as outdoor covered or uncovered parking.

• Moving tips: Consumers can find online moving tips via informational videos or guides. Planning tips include information on downsizing, staging your home for sale and hiring a moving company. Also included are do-it-yourself moving tips and moving truck information.

• Discounts: For people moving themselves, Extra Space Storage partners with Budget Truck which offers a variety of trucks and vans. Consumers can call their toll-free number online to reserve a truck and save up to 20 percent. If people rent for a year or more they can receive the 13th month for free.

• Storage lease: Storage leases are offered on a flexible month-to-month basis or a long-term, prepaid, yearly basis. Insurance is required for each unit rented. Monthly payments can be made on-site, online, by phone or by mail. Upon vacating the unit, consumers need to give a verbal 2-day notice or a written 15-day notice.

• Service areas: Extra Space Storage operates in 38 states and Puerto Rico. Consumers can go online for a breakdown of cities and which units are available in each city.

• Best for: Consumers needing short or long term storage and vehicle storage.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs