1.26/5

199 Extra Space Self Storage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I do not recommend this facility. It has major roof leak issues. Your belongings are not safe. When I brought my concerns to the staff member he said "maybe it won't leak over your unit". There was substantial leakage over other units. I removed my things asap. No concern was shown for my belongings.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

@ 7701 Banner Dr. Dallas TX 75251, the people here are honestly fake and extremely paranoiac about some renters. I have witnessed so many instances where the PR was so out of line to address easy issues. But obviously the color-ism sentiment is way strong and transpire so quickly on first occasion... The rate would be raised multiple times at a lightning speed in a few months from initial 'bait and switch' rental tasteless agreement. Some will watch others like potential criminal without even knowing many of these people are respectful human beings who do not disclose necessarily their class status. Just pathetic and so much prejudice to state the least. You'll better off to go somewhere else despite the relative good looks of the building. And many left and are leaving. Do not hate! Customers make this business keep going.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Items damaged by rats. They kept raising my rent. I contacted the CEO and they agreed to freeze it forever. You can contact the CEO Joe Margolis or ask for the District Manager's name and contact him too. I contacted the CEO Joe Margolis at **.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Extra Space Storage put my belongings including my son's medical equipment up for auction even though I paid up for August on August 31st. Even though I have always been charged on the 1st of every month for the past two years, they demanded September's rent on August 31st and when I told them I did not have the extra $123 after just paying 2 months rent plus the $85 lien fee, Ruben ** threatened to not take the $331 payment unless I signed a partial payment agreement.

He then told me that all my belongings will be auctioned if the $123 was not paid by September 13th. Even though I explained that I was a teacher who was unemployed for 10 weeks and my first full paycheck was on the 14th of September, when I could pay, he cold-heartedly refused to work with me and said to my face "y'all people think you can always get your way." When I told him that I had been a customer for over 2 years and that he was disrespectful, he told me not to "try to use the race card" with him. I tried reaching out to the corporate office several times but the district manager David ** stood by the local office's decision and refused to address the manner I was treated. I am currently seeking legal options to retrieve my belongings.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I mentioned several times wanted a 5x5. I moved into unit and only 4x4 or less. Ed Hansen said it was a 5x5. This company HQ is in UT run by: Corporate Headquarters 2795 East Cottonwood Parkway, Suite 400, Salt Lake City, Utah 84121. Tel (801) 365-4600. Joseph D. Margolis CEO. Irvine, CA Storage was robbed over 15 times per police. Call them and advised the truth. I was advised the Foothill Ranch, CA storage tenants were robbed 10 times in last 2 years.

The doors are thin. The thieves break the cheap doors. They don't lock up the buildings at night and leave storage units open where the crooks jump the fences at night to enter the open buildings. There are no cameras inside the storage units. But they pipe in music in the hall ways.

I have never been so cheated and lied to, in my entire life. I have only made ONE poor business posting in my life at 60 years old. This is the 2nd. It's takes a lot to make me angry due to cheated. This company are UT scum bags. CHECK ON THEM WITH POLICE AND YOU'LL FIND THEIR UNITS ARE BROKEN INTO OFTEN.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Extra Space Self Storage?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I have been with this rip off company for too many years. I’m sick and tired of the price changes every six months. I think I’m going to call my local news WAVYTV10 and ask them to do a report. I suggest anyone who sees this and know what I’m talking about does the same. I have never been with a company who does this. I’m in the military I pay on time and have been with them forever. The facility I am in is nice and fairly convenient to where I live. This price jacking is insane! Please report them to every possible social media and consumer reports avenue.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Do NOT store your personal belongings with Extra Space Storage. Search complaints and reviews online for this company and bring your business elsewhere. Due to the recession, I have been storing my furnishings and most of my personal belongings, including many family heirlooms, for over seven years at a cost of over $9000, with Extra Space Storage. My belongings were stored neatly in closed boxes and I made my payments on time each month. I had the option to store my belongings in a three car garage just one mile away from this Extra Space Storage facility, but I chose to go with a professional storage facility in order to keep my belongings clean and safe.

This turned out to be one of the worst decisions I have ever made. I went to retrieve my belongings two weeks ago and due to a large leak in the wall of this facility, ALL of my items were either damaged and covered with black, green and yellow mold or they smelled like mold. The mold was so severe that the company instructed two of its employees to stop helping me rebox five of the 125 boxes I had stored there. These boxes were the most damaged and they told these employees that it was too dangerous for their health. But apparently, their customers’ health is irrelevant since they never bothered to return my calls after this decision was made.

It was clear by the extent of the damage to my belongings that this wall in their facility had been leaking for many months to years, but nobody from Extra Space Storage ever notified me. They just kept taking my payments each month while frequently raising the rates as well. In my opinion, this is gross negligence due to Extra Space Storage not properly maintaining their property. The fact that I did not carry personal property insurance should be immaterial. I have now spent over two weeks obtaining furniture repair estimates and unpacking all of my belongings, discarding what has been destroyed by mold and cleaning what is salvageable. I then have to repack all of my belongings again for an upcoming move in the near future. I expect this enormous task to take another few weeks before being completed. Time-consuming and costly in an understatement.

Finally, the most unbelievable part of this entire situation is that a manager from Extra Space Storage actually threatened me via email by stating that if I shared my experience with Extra Space Storage publicly via reviews, social media, filing complaints, etc., Extra Space Storage would take legal action against me. I found this to be a bullying tactic and more importantly a freedom of speech issue.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Great and super friendly service! They explained prices and terms very clearly. Our stuff were exactly as we left them and we didn't lose anything. The temperature in the storage unit was appropriate. I will use their service in a heartbeat.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

These guys get you in with “specials” and then raise rates as fast as they can. They raised mine 2 times in less than a year to as much as 20%. I have a 10x10. Both times they sent postcard with same lame and FAKE excuse about “market change”. They also raise rates in the middle of summer and winter when weather makes it difficult to move out! For those of you in same situation, raise hell and complain to BBB, Yelp, State Dept of Consumer Affairs. These guys are crooks!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I rented a unit with Extra Space Storage. The experience wasn't a good one. When it rained the roof leaked and damaged some of the units. I had a death in the family and had to leave town. While I was gone I called to inform the staff that I wouldn't be able to make a payment until I got back and they sold my belongings at auction without giving me the common courtesy after going through a hardship such as a death in your family. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone ever in this lifetime.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Been renting a 10x10 storage unit for five months and paid on time. 6th month, Extra Space raises my rent 100% without notifying me and deducts it from my charge card. I call, and guy tells me they sent out a postcard notifying me about the increase a month ago. I never received it. I asked why they didn't notify me by email, text, phone or proper letter mail, and they told me they are a green company and don't waste paper, etc. They also told me a postcard is their notification process.

Totally despicable in every way. Called their corporate office many times, no return call. The guy tells me the rate will go up again in 6 months, but they can't tell me how much. I am looking for another company to store with and then I will relocate. Do not do business with Extra Space Storage. The contract they give you means nothing. Worst part: my unit has no lights and is NOT CLIMATE CONTROLLED as was promised. The lift by my unit is out of service at least 50% of the time. Shame on you, Extra Space Storage.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I was running a large storage area from Extra Space Storage in Pompano Beach (800 Northwest 31st Avenue). I went to downsize to a smaller unit and notice that the floor was ready to fall in because of termites. So I move back into my other storage and the manager ** provided me with three screws, a small sheet of plywood and her drill to fix the floors in the storage area that I had just moved out of. After investing my money and time replacing the floor the entire floor was infested with termites. While working on the floor my friend and I noticed rats running across the tops of the storage spaces. There's rat droppings everywhere. So if you plan on renting storage at Extra Space don't put any wood in there plus the rats will eat the rest of the stuff away. Bad idea to rent there no matter how nice the manager is.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I was a customer for a year and a half and moved out using the move out option online, I had a issue with management about a year ago so I don’t deal with them direct. So since I moved out they have hit my card twice. First time was the month after I moved out for $87.98 which is $20 on top of my monthly fee. Second time today for $66.78!!! They tell me I did not move out that I left stuff in there. Only thing left was two pallets which they provide and are scattered around the complex because if you don’t put them down first your stuff will get wet, on my side the units flood when it rains. So they have stolen almost $160 from me and are jerking me around about a refund. DO NOT GO WITH AUTOPAY WITH THESE PEOPLE, they are rude!!! Corporate is just as bad as the local as far as rudeness goes.

Original review: July 9, 2018

For 6 years, we have been leasers of a storage unit at the Extra Space Storage "ESS" Unit located at 945 Zerega Avenue, Bronx, NY 10462-7746. We planned to remove our items and vacate the facility on April 2018. However, upon visiting the facility, we noticed Asbestos Warning Signs Posted throughout the first floor. Since we are concerned about our health, we requested a clearance note/letter from ESS and was told that an employee who pregnant and worked on the first floor was not affected by the Asbestos. ESS said that this was their clearance.

We were adamant not to enter that facility because of the Asbestos, and yet they chose to send to us a Notice of Lien and Foreclosure and Notice of Insurance cancellation requesting immediate payment of $561.20. We spoke to ESS's Headquarters and was basically told the same that they could not do anything to resolve this matter amicably and that all fees remain. I would like to state that Extra Space Storage is not genuinely concern with its customers' needs other than collecting their fees... Bad business practices need and should to be report to all consumers.

Original review: July 6, 2018

When we signed up for the 10 x 25 unit we were told that there might be an increase of 5.00 in 9 months. After 5 months we got an 18.00 a month increase due to the "market rate". After many phone calls I was told we could have a one month rebate of 18.00 but the increase would remain in effect. She also said all the units were taken and that affects "market rate". I had a friend call and they told her there were 4 units available. So I am pretty worked up about the "market rate" scam and will write the Better Business Bureau, Chamber of Commerce, etc because it is just unfair. The scam appears to be industry wide so hopefully others will write and complain also.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I've had this unit for some time now. The workers there aren't very friendly but this is quite typical in the Bronx. I noticed they don't clean that well because there have been times I've smelled urine near the units. Not entirely their fault, since human beings should know not to urinate near people's units. One thing that bothers me is I wish they had longer hours to access the gate. I work downtown in the city and get off of work at 6pm. By time I get uptown it's 7:30 and that's if the train is running correctly (which is hardly ever). Access to the gate is until 7pm Mon-Fri. So I'm left with only Saturday & Sunday to access the unit. This alone is not always feasible since these are my only two days off and can be filled with several things to do.

One particular Sunday I wanted to grab my air conditioner out of our unit because we were due for a day of high temps and humidity. The ac was located right in front so when I opened up the gate to my unit I would just grab it out. On Sundays access to the gate is from 10am-4pm. I got to the unit at 3:45pm. I went in the office to grab a dolly really quick. I've had to grab something rather quickly before and it literally takes me all of 10 minutes. The worker told me I couldn't access the gate anymore because it was closed. I was confused and explained to him that the unit is open till 4pm and it is only 3:45pm. He proceeds to tell me that at 3:45pm if you are not already inside the gate you can no longer access your unit.

I told him that nowhere online or on the sign posted outside says that. He didn't care. I'm trying to explain to him that I really needed to get my air conditioner due to the weather we were about to have and it would only take me 10 minutes if that. Again he didn't care. At this point I'm livid. I go look outside and see that the actual sign says that everyday the gate is open from 7am-7pm. Everyday!

I go online and it say, "Open to 4pm." I try and look for any fine print stating what he told me. Did I find it? Absolutely not! It says the unit is open till 4pm. So why then are the managers of this particular facility able to close it before 4pm without making customers aware of that? I reached out to the customer service team on Facebook and spoke with someone who told me that should not be the case and if the facility says open till 4pm it should be open till 4pm. Not only that they told me they would have a manager from the facility call me. That never happened! Am I surprised? Not really! Most businesses in the Bronx operate this way. They have no customer service and don't respect the customers. What's worst is they promote managers who act in the same manner.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I rate Extra Space storage minus zero. Need extra storage space? Don't rent a storage unit. They steal your property. Will first pretend they give you a deal, then trap you to lose your belongings if you get late. Extra Space storage will change hours of access without notice and lock you out when behind on payments allowing not access. There appears to be a conflict of interest exist. Staff of Extra Space storage and other storage facilities should not be allowed to inform friends or family of auctions or have them participate, nor should staff be allowed to do so. As casino employees inform me they cannot gamble or participate in tournaments where they are employed. Rude statements and unwillingness to work with a tenant when late paying and failure to inform a tenant early of payment plans and other possible alternatives seems due to this conflict of interest.

Likely staff want to auction property of tenants, for fun, sport, disrespect, entertainment or profit or all of them. I was never informed of a payment plan until I cited the Nevada law on auctions. Before I was only told I had to pay the full amount before the auction date or my unit would be auctioned. Extra Space sends notices by email that threaten to auction your property. Late fees are extremely outrageously high. Clearly the intent is to make it as difficult for tenants to recover when behind on payments. It makes no sense, except when realized as plotted stealing. Emails state not to reply to them. Emails state you made no contact to their notices, by email to you, even when you go into the office. I was told such emails are just standard emails. I urged them to change it, and make it correct.

Extra Space storage use this process to make stealing your property and locking you out appear legal, as though actual good tenants are irresponsible and fail to act timely to make other arrangements and communicate. When I ask for corporate and district manager's contact information I was denied. Other times I paid late fees and came close to auctions dates and was never informed of payment plans. Being locked out of units is also wrong. Tenants may have items they can pawn or sell and by doing so get the need money to pay their storage rent. Being denied access and not being informed of payment plans, or not working with long term tenants who have always paid as I have, is why it feels criminal and presents as a conflict of interest by local staff and district managers. It is not practical or reasonable that the trash bins are secured and not accessible. Life happens, of course it is best to pay on time.

Sure there should be some process to ensure payments. However personal and protected property can be stored in units and tenants by law should be allowed to remove such items, that are worthless to others anyway (i.e, family photos, commendations, personal items, etc.). There were plenty of sound reasons, including rudeness and insults from staff, that my requests and concerns needed to be sent to the corporate office for consideration. Instead, a tenant is told the district managers are completely in charge, when wrong, corporate does not care. Losing you as a tenant, no big thing, they care less. The more new naive tenants they get, the more chances to steal more property. Best to just not keep things. Sell or give them away, donate them instead of putting them in storage. Extra Space will lock you out and steal everything given the first opportunity. Staff can change constantly.

In the last few months there's been three changes of staff. this means there are not relationship with tenants, you are only money or a chance to steal your property. The past district manager did agree to a payment arrangement and I have explained repeatedly I mistaken the date, and due to the recent assault can pay on the 29th of this month, June. With my long history of always paying, in good faith Extra Space Storage should had allowed the payment play to exist with the change of date. That would be a sensible expectation of any rational reasonable person to have Extra Space Storage approve my request to continue with a payment plan, with the change of date from June 1st, to June 29th and all rent paid by August 1st.

Instead, completely unprofessionally inhumanely Extra Space district manager mocking stated nothing will be done and an auction will proceed as scheduled. If this is encouraging for to anyone to rent a storage unit that person needs serious mental care. You might do okay if for certain you only need a storage space for a month. For lengthy or uncertain stay don't do it. Not if you want your the property you are pay rent to keep as yours. I urge people to acknowledge these facts and demand of Nevada lawmakers to change the laws reasonable to ensure tenants are not being manipulated as victims of fraud and false advertisements. My conclusion is that Extra Space is more in business to deny access and sell property than rent units.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I have had a storage space for 3 years. Extra Space purchased my independently owned storage unit about 2 years ago and immediately doubled my monthly rate. They have raised my rate now 5 times, and are attempting on a 6th. I did not sign a new contract with them when they took over my unit. 6 price increases in 2 years is excessive at best, extortionist at worst. Do I have legal recourse? Mind you, my unit does not even have a light bulb in it, let alone temperature or pest control.

Original review: May 26, 2018

The employees are fantastic, the facility is well maintained but corporate is a ripoff with these LARGE rate hikes every couple of months!!! Can’t wait to empty out and get out. Beware of quick high rate hikes. They get you in with incentives and then make it back and more with large rate hikes.

Original review: May 3, 2018

A staff member erroneously placed a lock on my storage unit preventing me from entering my unit for several days even though I made several attempts to reach the facility and management. A district manager named John contacted me after I complained telling me the staff didn't understand policy and apologized because he could do no more than offer a $20 credit. Soon after I received a notice from the facility informing me my rental rate would be increased in fewer than 30 days. I know for a fact that people live in this storage facility even after they were cited when a renter/tenant died in a unit.

Original review: May 3, 2018

They have no security at the 5801 W Charleston, Las Vegas, NV. While our Travel Trailer at this site, in January of this year, the car batteries, which were secured on the exterior of the trailer were stolen and the door window was broken. This week we found that scatters had trashed, stole and destroyed our property while staying in our trailer. While doing a police report, we found that several other units on the property were damaged including a large Cellular Tower, had several thousands of dollars of batteries stolen.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Extra Space provided no service for me other than another bait & switch experience. They were so nice while they signed me up, that when they nearly strong armed me to provide them with a positive 5* review, I was not too comfortable doing so before the fact; but they told me I could always rewrite it if I needed to in the future, so I complied. I later after the burn; I decided to correct it, and to my dismay - it wasn't doable! But after keeping up my efforts I finally succeeded and now the truth is out.

I only showed up to the location twice; once to sign up, then 10 days later to cancel. The two visit were starkly different, as well as they treated me on the way in, I was not treated well on the way out. That's ok, 'cause now I know they don't deserve my business; due to lack of transparency in their shady practices such as padding your bill with fees on top of other fees that were not discussed. They signed me up with a great rate; but that rate nearly doubled when I got the bill a week later! I decided to take my business elsewhere at EZ Storage a much more convenient location, where I was treated with care and respect; I actually got more space for less money! Extra Space stole my money! Plain & simple!!! They hide behind their corporate policies so they can steal from their customers! I never got to move my stuff in the unit! Bad business practices, GREEDY PROFITBOTS!!!

Original review: April 9, 2018

Besides the constant price hikes which appear on everyone's review, I highly question the integrity of this company - when I rented my storage unit I was informed that I would be refunded any unused time. Now, I have closed the unit and was informed that they do not provide refunds. Unfortunately, I have no evidence to back up my claim - I was told these things verbally - but at best this is miscommunication (and, by extension, mismanagement of the company) and at worst, downright deception. My advice: find someone else. PS: This won't let me give no stars but that's the actual rating I give them.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Horrible customer service and light bulb replacement in unit. Light bulbs are not working in my unit. I was not given when they would be replace - sometime within the month. Was told they could not tell when light bulbs burn out but I can tell which units in the vicinity of my unit had working light bulbs. Was told to just use my cell phone flashlight. That it should be good enough. Called customer service and I am just getting the run around concerning this situation. Do not use this company. This appears to be their track record - extremely poor customer service.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I rented a unit about 3 months ago and just got a notice in the mail let me know they were increasing my rent by 58%. I was paying $224 a month and they want $354 now! I went online and the online price for the same unit is $42 a month cheaper. I went in to try to have them fix this and they were unable to do anything stating that supply and demand caused the rate hike. Be warned that their rates posted will go massively up without little to no warning.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I have used Extra Storage Space for 4 years. Yes, I have dealt with the monthly increases which seems to come every 6 months. I have never had a problem paying my bill. With that said, I went to my unit yesterday to find mice droppings and chewed up books, magazines and boxes. I went to management with my problem and the first thing they were concerned with was if I purchased their insurance. Not, "I AM SORRY," or "SIR WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP." I would not recommend this facility! Think twice before calling this facility. There are better, cleaner and cheaper places in the area. BUYER BEWARE!!!

Original review: March 17, 2018

I have been with Extra Space for about two, until 3 months no major problems, except the continued price increases. Lately, I have had the monthly fee auto-deducted from my bank without my permission. I have no bills. Bill payments auto-deducted. I specifically went in and made sure it was not on auto 22 days ago and then this morning I wake up to a text that the money has been paid automatically. I have lost all confidence in this company and caution everybody to be alert to their unethical business dealings.

Original review: March 3, 2018

This place never tells you that it will go up in price every 3 months. I started at a ok price and then you receive a notice it will go up and then another one and a another. Before you know it the storage fee is as much as renting a house. This place is a rip off.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Buyer Beware!!! This company provides a very enticing price or new customer offering to get you into their space but once you are there they quietly start inflating your rate within just a few months. They mention in the contract that you may see a very slight market adjustment based on supply and demand however in their eyes the adjustment is always up and never down. I have two large units leased and both have seen a double digit percentage increase within just 3-4 months. After my most recent visit I noticed a large number of vacant units tagged as available and when checking online the prices has dropped tremendously for new customers while mine has continued to increase.

Also if calling to check on availability or pricing the reservation center will leave you to believe they have only one unit remaining in the size you need. I've complained once and got a partial reduction of their increase but really don't expect to see any relief from their constant price increases. Run from these crooks. You WILL 100% start seeing increases in your monthly rate once you have moved in knowing how inconvenient it would be for you to find another facility. I would encourage everyone to look at other options and sign a contract for a fixed rate that will not change. So Extra Space Storage has a different meaning for Supply and Demand... They have "Supply" and continue to "Demand" you pay more. You are being SCAMMED by this company. Run the other way.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

My daughter in law died in a fiery car crash on October 15. She has all her belongings stored in Extra Storage (Tallahassee) as she was waiting to move into an apartment. She only had her name on the unit. Her daughter took the death certificate with her name on it as her daughter and my son's name as her husband and they said that not her or her husband can get the stuff out. Mona did not have a will and the key is gone. So they are paying for it and can not get into it. They said if they don't they will put all the stuff up for auction and sell it. Everything they own is in there. This is a horrible way to treat people. We just keep paying for it and they just keep taking the money, meanwhile they are holding her stuff hostage. We do not have money for an attorney. It's all the other expenses that we have had to incur.

Extra Space Self Storage expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Extra Space Storage operates self-storage facilities across 38 states and Puerto Rico. They offer various storage unit sizes as well as storage for small to large vehicles and boats.

• Unit size: Extra Space Storage offers unit sizes ranging from from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 30 feet. This is equivalent to the size of a small walk-in closet to the size of a one-and-a-half car garage. They also offer enclosed garage style parking to protect vehicles as well as outdoor covered or uncovered parking.

• Moving tips: Consumers can find online moving tips via informational videos or guides. Planning tips include information on downsizing, staging your home for sale and hiring a moving company. Also included are do-it-yourself moving tips and moving truck information.

• Discounts: For people moving themselves, Extra Space Storage partners with Budget Truck which offers a variety of trucks and vans. Consumers can call their toll-free number online to reserve a truck and save up to 20 percent. If people rent for a year or more they can receive the 13th month for free.

• Storage lease: Storage leases are offered on a flexible month-to-month basis or a long-term, prepaid, yearly basis. Insurance is required for each unit rented. Monthly payments can be made on-site, online, by phone or by mail. Upon vacating the unit, consumers need to give a verbal 2-day notice or a written 15-day notice.

• Service areas: Extra Space Storage operates in 38 states and Puerto Rico. Consumers can go online for a breakdown of cities and which units are available in each city.

• Best for: Consumers needing short or long term storage and vehicle storage.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs