3.6/5 (151 ratings)

About Extra Space Self Storage

Extra Space Self Storage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Extra Space Self Storage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Extra Space Self Storage?

Original review: July 23, 2021

With one month's notice, my storage unit, which I rented to move my mother's belongings in when she passed, has increased 50%. It has been less than a year since my last increase. This is what I call price gouging. I have had this unit since September 2019 and my monthly payment has gone from $84.62 to $152.71 in less than two years. The new pricing is effective with my August payment. That is almost a 100% increase in less than two years. Something needs to be done to this company with their gouging people.

Original review: July 15, 2021

Went online to pay my bill and seen it was $42 more. I called and they said yes it is. Why wasn't I notified? They email me, they text me and even call me with reminders but with this they said, "We sent a post card," and since it wasn't returned that is my new rate. We never have mail. We do everything online. It was a sneaky way of getting over on the customer. Said the increase is due to the market so I looked. Not even close. So I showed that to them and they said that's with specials. No. I called. My outside 5x10 unit they say is 145 everywhere else under 100. Very bad business practices is what is happening here.

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 12, 2021

They are unscrupulous - offering a low fee as an internet special, then boosting the price by 50% after you move in ... as little as 90 days later. This must be illegal, or I hope it is ... I plan to sue.

Original review: June 27, 2021

I was forced to move from one Extra Space address to another because the company was renovating their property. Now only a few months in (about 3), I have received a rate increase notice of almost 50%, despite their verbal promise to the contrary when I moved. There have certainly been no improvements to justify this increase, since it is a brand new facility. Bait & Switch for sure. I certify that this is a fair and honest report.

Original review: June 26, 2021

June 18th 2021 was a very hot day and I was very tired. I'm over 60. I forgot I had authorized Extra Space Storage to automatic deduct from my checking. I even forgot how much I owed. I went in store to pay and manager told me it was more than double than the cash I had in hand. Went back to the bank and got more cash. Still short by $38. We ran my debit card for that and I handed over $450 cash. THEN MANAGER TELLS ME I HAD ALREADY PAID AUTOMATIC-DEDUCT. I asked him to give me back the cash and cancel the $38 debit because I hadn't sufficient funds to double-pay them.

Manager refused. I asked again telling him that if I didn't redeposit the cash, at least - their automatic deduction was going to fail. The manager - who was a different skin color from me - looked suspiciously at me and again refused to hand me back my money. I called my bank the next day telling them what had happened. They did not disagree with me when I called it theft. The Bank Manager called the Storage Manager who assured him the automatic deduct would be reversed THAT DAY, a Saturday.

On Sunday I grocery shopped and ate at a drive-in place as normal. On Monday my debit card was locked. I figured that I was slightly overdrawn. I got paid auto-deposit early Friday morning. I called the bank to have my card unlocked ONLY TO FIND OUT MY PAYCHECK WAS GONE AND I WAS STILL several hundred dollars negative. I had to beg $20 off my employer to buy food - complicated by my electricity being cut off by then. With no way to refrigerate food and no way to heat it - I had to buy the cheapest canned food INCLUDING SOME PET FOOD in order to eat until next Friday. I got a call from a different Extra Space manager telling me they had snail-mailed a paper check to me - but I never got it. It turns out they had sent it to my old address and somebody had cashed it. THE END (OF MY RELATIONSHIP WITH THAT HORRIBLE COMPANY).

Original review: June 22, 2021

It’s been my experience with this company they continues to raise your rates. They offer no communication skills. I’ve had the storage almost a year and a half now due to an illness in the pandemic so I’m unable to move the stuff to another location. My advice to you whoever is reading this do not rent from these people. Run to another location other than these people but always be a good consumer. If we group together we can stop predatory businesses as well.

Original review: June 11, 2021

Looking for a Climate Controlled 10x10 close to Franklin. This location had an online price of $75/mo with a free reserve policy. Been at another Storage facility 15 miles out for 8 years and wanted to move closer into my zip. Great rate, but it was a Bait 'n Switch. Called within ten minutes and told that the unit reserved was not "Climate Controlled" but they had one available for a higher price. I moved ON. Can't judge all the locations by this particular location, but this is standard practice for managers who don't care about ethics, much less their customers. Reserved with Cube Smart for $80/mo.

Original review: May 17, 2021

I started renting space at about $135.00 per month and They’ve increase my rate so often I’m paying over $310.00 per month now. The space floods often and I walk through 8 inches of standing water to get to my rv door. My neighbors toy hauler was broken in to as well.

Original review: March 11, 2021

As many other people already stated: They increase the rent rate frequently. My rent went up 40% in 1 year. A very sneaky way to get more money because they know people don't like to move their stuff. I wonder if there is a legal way to stop that.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

I believe Extra Space Storage on McLeod in Albuquerque has sold my unit against my will to pay them in not but six days from the day it was auctioned off. After begging and pleading with Elena she had the audacity to say to my face, "Oh you have ten seconds," then, "Ohhh it's too late. It's been sold and we got just a little over what you owed...." then told me I would be getting a small little check in the mail.

You have no idea how devastated I was and still am each day. It gets worse after losing my dad, my boyfriend, my brother. I will never be able to look at my belongings and reminisce when the world was a beautiful place to be and how much life they once shared with me.... Instead their memories will be shuffled around and thrown like trash just to get to the few worldly items their greed craves.... So as I stand there with tears rolling down my face your employee Elena hands me a box of Kleenex and says, "There is nothing I can do to help you.. We are running a business here..." like I didn't know this... What she meant to say was.... "There is nothing I am going to do to help you.... And you can leave my store...."

Extra Space Self Storage author review by Jessica Render

Extra Space Storage operates self-storage facilities across 38 states and Puerto Rico. They offer various storage unit sizes as well as storage for small to large vehicles and boats.

• Unit size: Extra Space Storage offers unit sizes ranging from from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 30 feet. This is equivalent to the size of a small walk-in closet to the size of a one-and-a-half car garage. They also offer enclosed garage style parking to protect vehicles as well as outdoor covered or uncovered parking.

• Moving tips: Consumers can find online moving tips via informational videos or guides. Planning tips include information on downsizing, staging your home for sale and hiring a moving company. Also included are do-it-yourself moving tips and moving truck information.

• Discounts: For people moving themselves, Extra Space Storage partners with Budget Truck which offers a variety of trucks and vans. Consumers can call their toll-free number online to reserve a truck and save up to 20 percent. If people rent for a year or more they can receive the 13th month for free.

• Storage lease: Storage leases are offered on a flexible month-to-month basis or a long-term, prepaid, yearly basis. Insurance is required for each unit rented. Monthly payments can be made on-site, online, by phone or by mail. Upon vacating the unit, consumers need to give a verbal 2-day notice or a written 15-day notice.

• Service areas: Extra Space Storage operates in 38 states and Puerto Rico. Consumers can go online for a breakdown of cities and which units are available in each city.

by Jessica Render ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Jessica Render is dedicated to providing well-researched, valuable content designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions they can feel confident making. She holds a degree in journalism from Oral Roberts University.

Extra Space Self Storage Company Information