3.37/5

Compare Movers

Compare Movers

255 Extra Space Self Storage Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 16, 2019

I have all of my belongings at this facility in Lake Elsinore. I have been with them for almost 4 years already and they have been so much help. I'm not only happy about how clean the property manager keeps it but he is also kind with answering any questions. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to see their belongings well keeped and in the same condition.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I'm a student and it was my first time reserving a storage unit by myself. Employees Erin and Tina were very helpful and made the process much less intimidating for a first time storage unit renter. I would highly recommend Extra Space Storage.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I went visit the place looking for a storage unit. The employees were very friendly and helpful. A guy named PJ helped me throughout all the units I wanted to give a look at and through the process of renting one explaining step by step everything in the lease. So far good prices and great service. Thank you PJ!!!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I rented a 10x28 foot unit and filled it with odds and ends. I have had no access issues and the manager is always friendly and willing to help. Their security is good and I have not seen anything to make me worry about my things. My complaint, no lighting or even power to the unit to plug in a lamp.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

My daughter had used this Extra Space Self Storage and recommended it to us. It is easy to get to for us and I was pleased to see it is very clean and well kept. The best feature for us is that all the units are drive up and that makes it convenient. Some of the other facilities we inquired about had indoor units that required going through the building and using an elevator in some cases. The Extra Space unit we have are also less expensive so we consider it a win-win.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Extra Space Self Storage?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I vacated my space two weeks prior to the next bill due and notified them that I had moved out. I was current on my payment, but they told me I would not be refunded the difference since I didn't tell them before I left the unit. This is unethical any way you slice it. It's stealing from the customer. If I'm not using the space, I should get the difference back. It certainly isn't costing them anything to have a freed up unit.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

I would give them no stars if I could, absolutely the worst experience after multiple rebrandings of the business. The newest one is Extra Space Storage same ** in the same spot. After finding out that all my clothes were damaged because somebody decided to smoke marijuana around the area and shut off the sprinkler systems I get told I'm only covered for $2,000. In addition to that I asked what am I supposed to do with all the damage clothes, this little West Indian girl who works there tells me I have to take it with me. I told her there is no space in my car and then tells me that I have to figure it out.

Then I asked her as a courtesy they should take it since I just took a lost that as a courtesy they should take the destroyed items with them. She replied by saying that they will not and if I leave it there and they're going to charge me a clean-up fee. Then how you going to charge me a clean-up fee when my items were destroyed in your care. I don't understand how that even make sense, at least have the decency to at least take care of that. Her nonchalant attitude it's really what ticked me off. She was not supposed Vedic or empathetic to the situation as I drove all the way from Jersey to go pick up some suits for work and I lost everything. The other employees that were there one more sympathetic to the situation. Needless to say I'm done with this place.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I'm a long time renter at Extra Space Self Storage in Hilliard Ohio. I can only speak for this location, however it seems that there is no end to their price increases. BEWARE!!!! My rent has increased every year for 10 years to where I'm paying nearly $200/month for a 10x15 unit which they themselves will rent, online to a new renter, for $80/mo. This is ridiculous. Where do the increases stop? I'm tired of hearing the excuses of higher taxes, etc etc. At this rate, another 3 years, and we'll be paying OVER $200/month for 15 s.f. of space. Is this your deal? Unlimited rent? Seems so. I'm preparing to hire someone to move my stuff to another place and, I assure you, there will be a cap agreement made for a long time renter.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

You're lured in by the free month that's offered upon signing up, but be aware that the cost of your unit will increase every 3-6 months. Over two years, my monthly rental fee increased by $100! Had I been told this upfront (ideally when I sat down to review all costs/fees before choosing this company), the increases wouldn't have hurt so much. They claimed that there were increases for all units -- even new customers would have to pay more. Yet, when a friend called to get quotes on my identical unit... they offered her the same low price that I started out with. So shady! I once spoke to a woman who rudely said, "Storage units are meant to be temporary...you've had one for too long so the price went up".

So, basically this business model doesn't want long term customers? Due to circumstances beyond my control, I needed a storage unit for two years. With each increase, I considered moving out but the cost of hiring movers outweighed the savings I'd get by going somewhere new. I was stuck. When I did move out, many of my items (rugs, couches) had an odor. My headboard with pewter nails was rusted. Makes me question controlled temps. Bottom line -- I'll never use a storage facility again. If I'm ever in the same boat... I'll donate or sell most and store sentimental items with friends/family. The overall cost and condition your items end up in just isn't worth it. Long ago I used another company (sadly, they've been bought out by ESS) and they never went up on prices. If you must use storage, shop around, ask more questions and read the fine print.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

Customer for over a year. Never late payment as Extra had my credit card. I moved out and received this notice: "If notification is received prior to receiving your last month’s payment, your last month of rent can be prorated, and you will be charged only for the days you use. However, Extra Space Storage is unable to offer any refunds once the month has been paid. If you have additional questions, please contact your local facility at 949-556-0971." Thanks for nothing. And no breaks although the elevator wasn't working for 3 days. So I had to pay my movers extra $$ to carry my stuff down the stairs. Don't go to Irvine CA Extra Storage.

Extra Space Self Storage expert review by Janine Sarna-Jones

Extra Space Storage operates self-storage facilities across 38 states and Puerto Rico. They offer various storage unit sizes as well as storage for small to large vehicles and boats.

• Unit size: Extra Space Storage offers unit sizes ranging from from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 30 feet. This is equivalent to the size of a small walk-in closet to the size of a one-and-a-half car garage. They also offer enclosed garage style parking to protect vehicles as well as outdoor covered or uncovered parking.

• Moving tips: Consumers can find online moving tips via informational videos or guides. Planning tips include information on downsizing, staging your home for sale and hiring a moving company. Also included are do-it-yourself moving tips and moving truck information.

• Discounts: For people moving themselves, Extra Space Storage partners with Budget Truck which offers a variety of trucks and vans. Consumers can call their toll-free number online to reserve a truck and save up to 20 percent. If people rent for a year or more they can receive the 13th month for free.

• Storage lease: Storage leases are offered on a flexible month-to-month basis or a long-term, prepaid, yearly basis. Insurance is required for each unit rented. Monthly payments can be made on-site, online, by phone or by mail. Upon vacating the unit, consumers need to give a verbal 2-day notice or a written 15-day notice.

• Service areas: Extra Space Storage operates in 38 states and Puerto Rico. Consumers can go online for a breakdown of cities and which units are available in each city.

• Best for: Consumers needing short or long term storage and vehicle storage.

Profile picture of Janine Sarna-Jones
      Janine Sarna-Jones Moving Expert

Janine Sarna-Jones is a Certified Professional Organizer and Move Manager. She is the founder and president of Organize Me Inc. and has been helping people get organized at work and at home since 1992. A member of the inaugural class of Certified Personal Organizers and board member of the National Association of Productivity and Organizing, Janine has helped a broad range of clients, including corporate executives, small business owners, real-estate agents, moms, artists, therapists, and non-profit organizations.

Extra Space Self Storage Company Information