Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.29/5

Extra Space Self Storage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Extra Space Self Storage?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Extra Space Self Storage?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

Brittany is everything a professional individual should be plus some. She has assured me through her actions that she will continue to carry out the service I was accustomed to with a previous sales associate. Customer service has become a lost cause in the way of genuine interest, follow-up, correcting mistakes and maintaining productive communication. In my experience Brittany has been all of the above, AND with committed enthusiasm! She is sincere and keeps her word!

In fact if not for Brittany and her manager I most likely would have taken my business elsewhere. Unfortunately I have had some bad experiences with Extra Space. Prior to that I was a long time client of A-Alamo Storage with a history of zero problems over several years. I highly recommend contacting Brittany for your storage needs. She is a gem, her enthusiasm and professional service are so refreshing!

Sue

Original review: July 19, 2020

I stopped by the Sunnyvale Extra Space Self Storage yard yesterday and was able to find a space for a vehicle. I was impressed by the high degree of service provided to me and other customers I saw. Service was thorough and efficient without any attempt to sell me items I didn't want. I wish more businesses were run like yours, thanks.

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 21, 2020

Regina T. And Cindy (store managers) are personable and positive people to work with. They keep a clean, safe, and well maintained location. I enjoyed being able to store my things there and the fee was reasonable. If I ever needed a unit I would definitely return to this location. Betty

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

Amber is the exactly what a manager should be. She is very professional, kind outgoing, easy to talk to, friendly and so very helpful. The world needs a few more Ambers in management positions. She really is a pleasure to talk to even if it isn’t about storage needs. Even my dog Kyra loves to see her when we visit there.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

Lisa and Julie are both extremely competent and friendly. They will work to make sure everything is perfect for you and your storage unit. The premises are clean, safe and well kept. I have a background in law enforcement (26 years) and believe they have done just about everything to insure good security measures. If you need a storage unit in Rio Rancho NM, don't waste time shopping around. It doesn't get any better than this place. Excellent and you won't be disappointed. John **.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

**Beware. Do not store your property with this company.** They popped my locks while waiting for congress to fund unemployment. I live in NY. They targeted one of the three rooms looted and auctioned my brand new items, a room full of personal property. The manager did this after I told her about my unemployment. My things were sold in the pandemic for less than a thousand dollars because they didn't have any money. They allowed the manager to change my rate without notification which is stated on website under rates.

Do not trust this company. They are crooks and nobody has called them on the carpet. I seen a few people speak on this matter lagging proper notifications. A billion dollar company trading on NYSE and stole my things, took advantage of me and my family during this pandemic that was not caused by no fault of mine!! My family has suffered a grave hardship from this company....The district manager has yet to even contact to try to solve this matter. I can't wait to remove my things from this company. My locks were popped months ago. They don't secure yet they allow them to loot for payment and still charge you all the fees the anager faked she was waiving. She was setting me up to steal my property charging me during Covid 19.

Landlords, student loans and banks everyone was working with you and Extra Storage pretended to work with me. All lies. I was set up to be robbed by the store manager in Huntersville, NC. Do not trust her. She is a lies and she set me up and robbed me and my family....Our beds, photos, clothing, papers, I can't even think of the damages. I will keep you posted!! Go any place but do not store with this company. They are capitalizing off the pandemic stealing from hardworking single mothers. Beware!!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

I have a 5x5 storage until that is advertised as $41 dollars on their website, yet in the 5 months I’ve had storage there, they’ve up the price and now I pay $78.50 a month. Price gouging at its finest.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

Do not store your RV here. Our new fifth wheel was broken into within the first week of storing it with them. Before we even got to use it the exterior doors were damaged and personal items / electronic inside were taken. Extra Space takes no responsibility for security or theft.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

Tom from 27 Liberty Street in Quincy was dismissive and made me feel like I was wasting his time when I called to tell him that my storage unit was broken into and items stolen. I have been a customer for almost 5 years. This does not make me feel safe or appreciated. Date of incident: 12/28/20, 3:40pm.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

I been using this Extra Space Storage over 3 yrs in different facility. I had issues but they fixed it as their DM was good. Knows customer service. Other hand I rented Chantilly Lee hwy VA storage in August this year 2020. Moving is worst thing to do in life when no help being alone looking for storage and movers and packing unpacking. It is obvious that we all try to find best price with good customer service. But reality is those sound like best price with clean facility, they try to get in somehow to and later scam you increasing rate every 6 months which they never disclose in person and expect you to read 50 thousand pages when no one has time to do so.

When I booked this Chantilly storage unit manager didn't explain how to get in and how many buildings are there with elevator and what floor. I wasted 30 min over to find my buildings and then No elevator which gave me mental shock. I have to take one round with my mover dragging boxes using staircase to my storage which was deep inside. I was sweating 62 yrs old lady and my mover dropped my stuff walked out. I lost my $700 hiring next mover next day which was my time, stress and money loss.

I called to speak to a Dist Manager who supported his manager. Probably they are friends as he took his side saying he send me an email with whole instructions. As a manager and a Dist Manager they should use common sense that while moving who is going to check their email when laptop is locked out in boxes when moving out. I was sweating and hurt my body have to take rest for over 7 days. Worst part was his Dist manager was very rude taking his manager side

When it was my due date this manager send me reminder till November on first of the month saying today is my due date and late charge will be added next day. I have to call him every time letting him know that 5th is the last date and he keep on arguing with me each time no reason. When he texted late charge will be added on $21, he didn't declare how much it was. Suddenly I came to know it was $20 late charge. Can anyone imagine when rent is $21 any business will charge you equal amount of late charge? Anyway it was waived and not sure it was twice waived as their website always malfunctioned giving error messages and calling corporate office they forward back to local office.

When interact with local office they get mad as they might get many calls to make payments. So they decided to Jack price to $8 saying their contract say so every 6 months price will go up and its according to market price they raise price. I didn't check website till today to find out if they really Jack the price for public.

I learned today that price was same $21 on website. So they can collect $8 extra from me telling me it's market price and raise every 6 months? It's covid pandemic when many lost their loved items, lost their job and losing their apt or houses. So those lost their houses or apartments and Extra space think due to market the way it is people are dying and losing jobs so they can JACK THE PRICE and scam customers when they advertised good rate in the beginning trying to get them in and suddenly Jack the price whatever they like to and if customers disagree then ask them to MOVE OUT! Is this Ethical? Is it easy to find another place, find a mover and pay them $600-700 to move out again. So who will take that loss moving in and out plus mental emotional stress and financial loss?

If they think no one will move out as it is tough so that way they make extra money from those already there for last year or two does not matter. But fact is on their website Perrine for that size is same I used to pay. So is that fair? According to manager that price is for new customers only. So basically if anyone like to use Extra space they should not use for more than 6 months or they will get horrible treatment by all employees with bunch of fake complaints will be send to DM and finally they will force you to move out or pay.

DM called me last night whom I dealt in the past and was always rude and didn't allow me to speak at all telling me THIS IS THE WAY I TREATED HIS ALL EMPLOYEES WHEN THEY TRY TO HELP ME. Question is if I was rude then what right he has to be RUDE AS A DIST MANAGER and yelling non stop as I am a dog or trash. He asked me to move out as not give same rate due to the market price. His manager also been rude to me each time telling me he waived late charge and extended due date so not give original rate.

Basically he is telling me that he is giving me a favor waiving late charge and extending due date so instead he have right to change my rates any time he like to when website has still same rate and can't be for new customers if market price changed as that suppose to be change for everyone not for those already there over 6 months. I called corporate office and they told me it is call center customer service and they don't have access to corporate. I do think this is unethical the way they are operating their business. As if they hate you due to whatever reason, they can increase rate any time they like as if they own this business as corporate contact not available for public so they don't know what's going on in lower level.

Extra Space Self Storage author review by Jessica Render

Extra Space Storage operates self-storage facilities across 38 states and Puerto Rico. They offer various storage unit sizes as well as storage for small to large vehicles and boats.

• Unit size: Extra Space Storage offers unit sizes ranging from from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 30 feet. This is equivalent to the size of a small walk-in closet to the size of a one-and-a-half car garage. They also offer enclosed garage style parking to protect vehicles as well as outdoor covered or uncovered parking.

• Moving tips: Consumers can find online moving tips via informational videos or guides. Planning tips include information on downsizing, staging your home for sale and hiring a moving company. Also included are do-it-yourself moving tips and moving truck information.

• Discounts: For people moving themselves, Extra Space Storage partners with Budget Truck which offers a variety of trucks and vans. Consumers can call their toll-free number online to reserve a truck and save up to 20 percent. If people rent for a year or more they can receive the 13th month for free.

• Storage lease: Storage leases are offered on a flexible month-to-month basis or a long-term, prepaid, yearly basis. Insurance is required for each unit rented. Monthly payments can be made on-site, online, by phone or by mail. Upon vacating the unit, consumers need to give a verbal 2-day notice or a written 15-day notice.

• Service areas: Extra Space Storage operates in 38 states and Puerto Rico. Consumers can go online for a breakdown of cities and which units are available in each city.

by Jessica Render ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Jessica Render is dedicated to providing well-researched, valuable content designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions they can feel confident making. She holds a degree in journalism from Oral Roberts University.

Extra Space Self Storage Company Information