3.45/5

239 Extra Space Self Storage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 24, 2019

I'm a student and it was my first time reserving a storage unit by myself. Employees Erin and Tina were very helpful and made the process much less intimidating for a first time storage unit renter. I would highly recommend Extra Space Storage.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I went visit the place looking for a storage unit. The employees were very friendly and helpful. A guy named PJ helped me throughout all the units I wanted to give a look at and through the process of renting one explaining step by step everything in the lease. So far good prices and great service. Thank you PJ!!!

Get expert buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I rented a 10x28 foot unit and filled it with odds and ends. I have had no access issues and the manager is always friendly and willing to help. Their security is good and I have not seen anything to make me worry about my things. My complaint, no lighting or even power to the unit to plug in a lamp.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

My daughter had used this Extra Space Self Storage and recommended it to us. It is easy to get to for us and I was pleased to see it is very clean and well kept. The best feature for us is that all the units are drive up and that makes it convenient. Some of the other facilities we inquired about had indoor units that required going through the building and using an elevator in some cases. The Extra Space unit we have are also less expensive so we consider it a win-win.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Great and super friendly service! They explained prices and terms very clearly. Our stuff were exactly as we left them and we didn't lose anything. The temperature in the storage unit was appropriate. I will use their service in a heartbeat.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Extra Space Self Storage?

Original review: May 19, 2019

This location in Baltimore Maryland on Howard and 25th Street has the most incompetent employees that I have ever saw. My unit has been paid up 420 days yet I am still locked out of the unit. I talked to the district manager - he assured me that everything will be taken care of. He is also incompetent. I have never seen a storage facility that has employees that has no business in this business - that's what I mean when I say incompetent. Wow.

Original review: May 16, 2019

The woman working office helped above the call to assist me. Facility very clean and so are the units. They work with you to help you. Would recommend to anyone looking for a unit for storage in Fredericksburg.

Original review: May 4, 2019

I noticed this month that Extra Space Self Storage has raised my storage payment from 128.00 to 137.00 without notifying me of this increase. They have been deducting 137.00 out of my account since February 2019. In January 2019 my payment was only 123.00. Something needs to be done about this company's unlawful business practices.

Original review: May 1, 2019

They keep raising the rates well above inflation rates and well above their published rates online. They punish their long term customers. Okay for a couple of months but I'm looking for a new facility because I feel like I'm being ripped off.

Original review: April 22, 2019

My rating, like some of the other reviews, isn't necessarily based upon my location, but on Corporate policy. I've been with my storage location for ten years and every few months I feel I'm punished for using them because they up my rate. I haven't been able to move out because I moved out of state and had no way of getting to it until now. When I saw they were overcharging me for a year, I called them and they only refunded me the last month I paid. Then last week when I saw they were upping my rent again I'd had enough... It was double the amount from when I signed on. I understand rents go up, but this isn't an apartment! Ridiculous. Then instead of pro-rating the rest of the month that I'm not using, corp told me "sorry we don't issue refunds." It's a racket and they know it.

Furthermore, my particular location didn't inspect my unit or have me fill out a vacate card, which it says on the site. Since they don't go by their own policy, I don't want to hear the crap about 'telling them before you move out' to get a refund. They knew I was moving out because I had selected the date with their own scheduling system. I'm giving them two stars ONLY because the area is safe (not their doing obviously) and the place was clean. Other than that...find another company.

Original review: April 14, 2019

My review is based on the franchise's policies itself and not directly with the location I had my stuff in storage. That's said, they said to notify them before you move out, which I did. On the day I had to make my last payment on 03/20/2019 I also notified them of my moving out on 03/31/2019, which they should have pro-rebated me. They didn't, so on my final day I've cleared the storage on 04/08/2019 I was under the impression I was going to get some cash back, but didn't. I, then called them to to try to get some money for the days I've already paid for which I didn't.

So basically, I was told they don't offer refund or reimbursement, but they can offer a discount should I ever use their services. Very likely I may not use them again, so I may never use that discounts. I was so upset because it's one of those things they don't include. Due to this bad business practice I'll never use them again unless no other options are present or never have to place my stuff in storage. Either way, there are a million storage places and unless they're all under this one umbrella, then I won't use them for sure. Perhaps the mistake was on me, but still I should have gotten something back, not assuming somewhere in the near future I'll use their services again, which I don't plan to unless it's the only and last storage place within the radius I plan to use. #badbusinesspractice.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Speak with cooperate and Get refund... I signed up and paid for a storage last month on the 6. I called less than 24 hours later and canceled it which was on the 7th. I spoke with someone and they refused to give me my money back. Then they said that they will be able to only refund me the monthly amount. I've been trying to get corporate on the phone which they said they don't have a corporate office. I still have not received my check. Then today when I looked into my account I saw that they had charged me $**. I spoke to someone in the office and they said that they had not canceled me out yet. Nor do she knows what's going on. I need to speak to someone ASAP. I want my money back now. They had no right to go into my account and take my money out. Now I can get me a lawyer and file a lawsuit going against extra space storage. Because it's y'all's fault. Refund me all my money today.

Original review: March 29, 2019

After researching storage space in Montgomery AL, I decided to pay a couple of dollars more than the competition to Extra Storage Space because it was new and located well for me. Paid six months in advance. 30 days before my time was up I got a notice of a 14.8% monthly rental increase. The local manager was of no help. This Company is disreputable and the rate increase is a scam.

Original review: March 29, 2019

This is a clean, well maintained facility, but they 100% play a game with their fees. They started me with a rate of around 60 dollars and one year later, now that I use the storage on a regular they charge me $79.00. This month they increased 11 dollars. Where does it end. I guess when I move out and never come back.

Original review: March 17, 2019

The two guys who manage the Ahua Street place are deceitful liars, and represent everything that is wrong in this world. Pulled me in with charm and professionalism, 3 months later raised the rent $40 (13%)!!! This is obviously an Extra Space Storage corporate action, as Hawaii Kai Extra Space does the same thing. Hawaii Kai doubled my rent in less than 12 months. They "notify" NOT by email or phone call, but in a ** postcard type communication that looks like junk mail at first glance. Font is in size 2, so they ensure no one reads and tosses into the trash. These guys, and this company, are exactly why the country is ** up! Blatant liars with no remorse.

Original review: March 9, 2019

My son items were stolen from the unit by the management of the storage facility. Claude took the insurance of the unit without our permission. District management only call once. We have call over 10 times asking for higher management to contact. No one has done so. I will never recommend your service or ever go back to you again. Like I say you have poor management staff and no one cares about. Even the customer service representatives are rude and not courteous. But I am **. But if I was ** would not be any issues. Would have been resolved. Yes I'm I playing the race card. That's what it comes down to.

Original review: March 4, 2019

As I am sure you have read in other reviews, it is true, this company lures you in at what seems a reasonable rate. 6 months later you start receiving postcards which increase by 20%. I started with a 10 x 10 unit at $80 and 1.5 years later we are at 130.00. No one will speak with you except a simpleton manager of the facility who has no power or interest in helping you. They are counting on you being too lazy to move your stuff to a cheap place. Screw them. l'm out.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I rented a unit 1.5 years ago (5x5) with a rate of $63. They have hiked up my rate by $20 increments every six months, without fail. The first two rate hikes were done without notifying me, first. I will be notifying them that I will be moving to another storage company, first thing in the morning!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

This place is a scam. Raised my rent twice in 12 months $100. Without any notification. Most filthy place on earth. Rotten ceiling insulation is falling on your head and your belongings. When I told them that I am not staying in this unit because it's health hazardous and need more time to move out they locked my unit. So now I am unable to work. I did order air test from Aeris company to make sure nobody can get hurt in this nasty place. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE. HEALTH IS MORE IMPORTANT.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

This company requires credit card for automatic payments taken out every month. They are supposed to notify you 30 days in advance of any price changes, but they don't. My price went up $15 and I never received any notifications from them. I called to try and get the issue resolved and they refuse to refund any money and lie stating that they sent me letters which they have not. The company also has a lot of break ins, our RV was broken into and they just leave the gate open at night if there is any issues, poor security, price hikes, inadequate notifications, are all good reasons to avoid this place like the plague.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Now that I have vacated my unit after 7 months and it is back on the market today both the published standard rate and the internet rate are radically lower than what they were gouging me for over the last couple of months. No more than Wells Fargo, it points to a pathetically systemic corrupt corporate culture. So should you have to rent from them, get something in writing as to how long your rate is good for. What they did to me should be should be a prosecutable offense.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I was lured in with a competitive price on a 10x20 unit. The guy working hounded me for a good review which I did NOT give because my interaction with him had only been for 25 minutes. Next: Within 3 months my rent had gone up $20. Here it is the middle of winter when it’s cumbersome to move so I’m put into a position I’d rather not be in. Regardless, it’s Time to LEAVE.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

A super simple issue to ANY OTHER organization in Corporate America has been a nightmare to resolve with this company. It is obvious that no one I have spoken to has had any customer service training. They don't care about your business and are fine to let you go elsewhere. They take no responsibility for their lack of communication. Management is not respectful and lack the basic tenets of good business skills/service. There are a plethora of new storage facilities near me. Never thought I needed to look into the management of a storage facility - just went with the most visible and one that was close proximity to me. It's easy for them to take advantage of their customers - raising rates and treating them poorly when an issue arises. They know it's a pain to move and that most customers won't. Too bad. Big mistake. Their loss. I hope more customers do their homework first.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Don't get fooled by the initial rate == it will increase over and over again at percentages that are many times the rate of inflation. My 8X10 started at $71 then it went to $76 then $87.50 then $96.60 then 97.85 then they raised it to $143 which after I threatened to leave they reduced to $114.95 -- all of this in 2-1/2 years. That's an increase of about 62% or 25% per year, which is crazy and wholly unjustified.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I had an extraordinarily poor experience with Extra Space Storage. You can not use Extra Space Storage to store your valuables. I had an inside climate controlled unit. I was notified the building flooded due to a failure of the sump pump unit being unplugged or having no power. They said that there was between 8 and 10 inches of water. I had to drive from out of town to survey the damage. When I arrived to survey the damage 24 hours later the base of the walls were still wet and there was standing water in my unit. Various items were ruined and I am waiting to see the extent of the mold damage from the Extra Space Storage flood.

The manager (** male, I did not catch his name) at the front gave me a sassy attitude. The Extra Space manager discussed the issue with me only briefly because he was eating lunch at his desk. The manager said he would come out with a LEAF BLOWER to dry the wetness. The manager never came during my visit. I was using 3rd party insurance coverage and the manager said that the contract said they could not speak to them to relay the circumstances of the flood as was told to me. I found nothing in the contract that said this. I requested the name/number of the District Manager (Raymond **) and the phone seemed to be disconnected / there was no voicemail set up.

I contacted corporate at info@extraspace.com since there was no phone number. There was no response (sent 2.5 months ago with a follow up a month later). To compound the issue, my insurance company stated they would not cover damage caused by failure of the sump pump (HANOVER INSURANCE - this is a separate issue). In summary, you absolutely can not use Extra Space Storage to store your personal valuables. Feel free to let me know if you have questions. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Extra Space Storage offers an attractive rate to get your business. Once you've rented, you WILL experience constant rental increases. When I originally rented, I was paying $232.00 for a 10'x30' storage unit. They've gone up on my rent twice in the first year. I now pay $306.00 per month, with future increases on the horizon. They bait you with reasonable rent and then switch over to extortion-like practices with constant increases that never end. DO NOT RENT FROM EXTRA space storage! It's like renting from the mafia and having to pay an ever increasing vig on your unit or forfeit your belongings! They are crooked thieves! Look elsewhere for storage!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

If you're in a profession and have a very little window in leaving, you will not receive a refund if you don't abide literally to the leasing terms. An f.y.i. if you do not notify them 10 plus days before your billing cycle you will pay for the next month in full regardless of your departure. In a profession like mine we don't have the luxury of knowing far in advance to abide by their rules and regulations. Metro and others will prorate your unit, allowing you to recoup some of your monies if you're like me and have a "minute man" skill, and cannot afford a advanced notice. Poor humanitarian business practices, borderline hustle/sales gimmick.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Rats and bad customer service, customer service is awful. They feel it’s not a problem when it come to people personal thing. Call about the making a payment but not worried about the rat problems they have.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I was sent a letter telling me how much they liked my business but I need to remove my trailer or it will be towed. When I told the manager I was leaving she told me, "No refunds without prior notice." Then I was told they cannot give me a refund in less than 2 weeks. The same day I get a email telling me I am welcome if I ever need space. Today I get another email asking how was my move out. No refund yet.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I have had a storage room at Extra Space at 2828 NW 62nd in Oklahoma City for over 20 years. I moved out today and moved to a U-Haul facility that is twice as far from my home because the service at Extra Space was non-existent. The manager is frequently not on property and the gate is ALWAYS left open. Anyone can go in and out at any time. To add to my misery, the rates keep going up. My unit rent is now $246/month. The same size unit at U-Haul is $129/month. In addition, the security at U-Haul is very strict and operates 24/7. I have spoken with Extra Space corporate about my problems here, but they were never addressed. I'm very happy that I don't have to give this company another dollar.

Extra Space Self Storage expert review by Janine Sarna-Jones

Extra Space Storage operates self-storage facilities across 38 states and Puerto Rico. They offer various storage unit sizes as well as storage for small to large vehicles and boats.

• Unit size: Extra Space Storage offers unit sizes ranging from from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 30 feet. This is equivalent to the size of a small walk-in closet to the size of a one-and-a-half car garage. They also offer enclosed garage style parking to protect vehicles as well as outdoor covered or uncovered parking.

• Moving tips: Consumers can find online moving tips via informational videos or guides. Planning tips include information on downsizing, staging your home for sale and hiring a moving company. Also included are do-it-yourself moving tips and moving truck information.

• Discounts: For people moving themselves, Extra Space Storage partners with Budget Truck which offers a variety of trucks and vans. Consumers can call their toll-free number online to reserve a truck and save up to 20 percent. If people rent for a year or more they can receive the 13th month for free.

• Storage lease: Storage leases are offered on a flexible month-to-month basis or a long-term, prepaid, yearly basis. Insurance is required for each unit rented. Monthly payments can be made on-site, online, by phone or by mail. Upon vacating the unit, consumers need to give a verbal 2-day notice or a written 15-day notice.

• Service areas: Extra Space Storage operates in 38 states and Puerto Rico. Consumers can go online for a breakdown of cities and which units are available in each city.

• Best for: Consumers needing short or long term storage and vehicle storage.

Profile picture of Janine Sarna-Jones
Janine Sarna-Jones Moving Expert

Janine Sarna-Jones is a Certified Professional Organizer and Move Manager. She is the founder and president of Organize Me Inc. and has been helping people get organized at work and at home since 1992. A member of the inaugural class of Certified Personal Organizers and board member of the National Association of Productivity and Organizing, Janine has helped a broad range of clients, including corporate executives, small business owners, real-estate agents, moms, artists, therapists, and non-profit organizations.

Extra Space Self Storage Company Information