3.3/5 (158 ratings)

About Extra Space Self Storage

Extra Space Self Storage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Extra Space Self Storage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Extra Space Self Storage?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2021

I went into the 1301 S. Cicero location and I had a great customer service experience with a young lady who no longer works there. I had a online price for $158 a month. I went back in a month later and got another unit. Two weeks later I needed two more units. I have a total of four units. Today my card was charged an $80 rent increase for just one of my units. I did not receive a phone call or a letter that they say they mailed out. This company at this location is definitely scamming people. I would not recommend this location at all. I am not the only customer this has happened to at this location from the young lady who is running it. I will be moving out of all 4 units to another company.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

Same here in Sacramento, CA Franklin blvd facility. Out of nowhere went from $72 to $88 few months back then this month from $88 to $162 and this place has coach roaches and mice crap all in my unit. Get harassed by management when I am consolidating my storage. It's not right to do this to us the customers knowing times are hard!

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

I've been renting a storage space with this company for a little over a year. I've never been late or ever missed a payment. Without notice of a rate increase, my rental space went up 60 percent. Yes that's right, a $79 per month increase. It's not the amount that upsets me, it's the unprofessional way it was done. The facility is clean and well maintained. No issues except the sly way they choose to do business.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2021

I've been renting a unit from Extra Space Storage in Murray which was said to be never broken into any of the units there for as long as they've been open. Looks like I'm the first one or the first one I know of. What I've learned from this experience is cameras don't stop thieves... and if you don't ever really look at the footage you never going to catch the bad guy. Anyway my unit was broken into three weekends ago and they still haven't started looking at the footage. So be warned the cameras don't set alarms off, they don't call the cops and they don't stop the people that are breaking into your unit and stealing all of your stuff.. All they do is just film. Then it sits on a hard drive for hundreds of hours before anyone even looks at it. Whatever it is they're filming the locks weren't cut so the thieves must have climbed over the open top!

So at this point I have my second doubt. Why are all of the units open about 2 feet with screwed in 1 inch tin straps acting as bars going across the openings right under the ceiling? This plus knowing the cameras aren't going to be gone through for a month after the crime, this seems like a cut and dried getaway. My friends keep asking me if this was an inside job! Well I'm not saying that but just about half my friends have asked that question so I kind of have to wonder myself why half of the people I know think that thought. If you love your stuff don't let anybody know what you got in your storage unit especially management. I was open and friendly with them and look where it got me. I'm missing a gun, safe, ammunition and mountain bikes. If you can do without yours stuff then have at it!!! I couldn't afford to do without mine. It's a bummer I can never replace them.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

Please please please do not I repeat do not rent a storage space here!!!! They make you do a review in front of them when they 1st rent to you and give you this wonderful deal so you leave a good response but what they don't tell you is every 2 or 3 months they raise the rent on you and it never ever stops. It constantly goes up no matter how many phone calls you make or plead with them. It just goes up and up and up and up and they have your stuff there so they know how hard it is to move it. Please I beg you to save you from the trouble. Do not ever rent here!!!! This price gouging place needs to go bankrupt. It's not right how they do us!!!! If I could do a 1/4 of a star I would!!!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

I had use this company in both CA & MO without any problems. This time the price wasn’t just increased, but 2x & notification was postcard. 1 person says you can get prorate the other says no 1 day later.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

Thieves!! DO NOT RENT HERE! Brought me in with an internet rate, then just like that I get a letter in the mail that they are going to double my price. Yes double. Was paying $90/month and now they want to jack it to $170/month. Very unethical and an all around garbage move. Pure filth!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

5 years ago I rented a climate controlled interior storage unit, 7'x10', to store quality furniture and rugs. I paid extra for the climate control in order to protect my belongings. Over the 5 years the rates were continuously increased. Several weeks ago we went into the unit for the first time in several years and discovered all 10 pieces of Henkel Harris furniture and the 3 Karastan rugs were covered in mildew. I notified the onsite manager and was asked to provide photos of the damage, which was done. I then heard from the local regional manager who asked me "what will it take to make you happy". I told him I needed to get all the pieces cleaned and would get quotes from a furniture refinisher and a rug cleaner. I provided the written estimates to him which totaled over $2600. He already had the photos from the onsite manager.

I was told he would turn all of this over to his District Manager and it would be a minimum of 4 days before he would hear back. In less than 24 hours he heard from the District Manager and basically said so sad, too bad, file a claim with your homeowner's insurance. The quotes for cleaning are about the same as our deductible so there is no way we could file a claim. I was then offered a "generous refund" of one month's rent.

My advice to anyone considering storing their belongings with this company is to stay away. There are better storage companies out there. They advertise climate controlled units but they are definitely not climate controlled enough to protect your property. They offer a good move in rate and then within a couple months begin raising the rates incrementally. Given the number of people who complain about the rate increases I'm surprised someone hasn't started a class action suit against them. I strongly question their business ethics and believe the advertised climate control is false advertising. There is zero customer service.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

I love this place, always keeps me guessing on how much I’m going to pay the next month. First few months $85.50....next few months $115.36…and now we are at about $161.92. Super exciting! I’ve never felt such anticipation and thrill when paying bills.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

Recently I received notification regarding a rate increase on my unit. From $165.50 to $229 per month. I have had that unit 1 year, 2 months. I asked for the corporate office number and was given the runaround. I asked for the manager & was advised the manager would contact me. The same CSR called me back and advised they would go up to $189 per month. These folks were going to increase my rate by approximately 73%!!! If I had not complained, that is what they would have done. My question is who determines rates at Extra Space Storage? Corporate or manager at the site. Use U-Haul people.

Extra Space Self Storage author review by Jessica Render

Extra Space Storage operates self-storage facilities across 38 states and Puerto Rico. They offer various storage unit sizes as well as storage for small to large vehicles and boats.

• Unit size: Extra Space Storage offers unit sizes ranging from from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 30 feet. This is equivalent to the size of a small walk-in closet to the size of a one-and-a-half car garage. They also offer enclosed garage style parking to protect vehicles as well as outdoor covered or uncovered parking.

• Moving tips: Consumers can find online moving tips via informational videos or guides. Planning tips include information on downsizing, staging your home for sale and hiring a moving company. Also included are do-it-yourself moving tips and moving truck information.

• Discounts: For people moving themselves, Extra Space Storage partners with Budget Truck which offers a variety of trucks and vans. Consumers can call their toll-free number online to reserve a truck and save up to 20 percent. If people rent for a year or more they can receive the 13th month for free.

• Storage lease: Storage leases are offered on a flexible month-to-month basis or a long-term, prepaid, yearly basis. Insurance is required for each unit rented. Monthly payments can be made on-site, online, by phone or by mail. Upon vacating the unit, consumers need to give a verbal 2-day notice or a written 15-day notice.

• Service areas: Extra Space Storage operates in 38 states and Puerto Rico. Consumers can go online for a breakdown of cities and which units are available in each city.

by Jessica Render ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Jessica Render is dedicated to providing well-researched, valuable content designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions they can feel confident making. She holds a degree in journalism from Oral Roberts University.

Extra Space Self Storage Company Information