1.31/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Extra Space Self Storage

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 13, 2017

164 Extra Space Self Storage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Extra Space Storage in Laurel, Maryland is not a good place to store and keep your things. The management through the last year has gone way downhill. I know this because I have stored items with them for several years at different locations. I moved to this side of town a few years ago and Mason... The manager at the time was on the job! He also lived there. The facility was clean, professional and nice to deal with. However, the new management is AWFUL!!! Mason left suddenly and the new people... Greg and the regional guy... Don are unprofessional and trying to save every penny so the place is filthy with trash everywhere. Evidence of mice and snakes! No one lives on site anymore and the security gate is broken a lot!

They screwed up my payments by applying them incorrectly and almost sent my personal items to auction. I was lied to by Greg and I tried to contact corporate but they turn it back to the local regional and/or Greg and you get nowhere. I tried several times to speak with a corporate headquarter manager but they never called me back. I have stored with Extra Space in Frederick, Germantown, Bethesda and Laurel for years! They are not the same company they use to be!!! Terrible conditions and bad management caused me to move out. Unfortunately, this cost money out of my pocket so I am warning anyone who tries to store at this facility beware!!! Just so you know when Mason was manager and I received courtesy calls the week before payment was due, the place was very secure and he lived on site, the halls were clean and no food or evidence of mice were there.

I wrote a stellar review for this company then. I had to rewrite today this bad review because my experience with this company has changed for the worse. Greg told me bad information and when I talked to him again he changed his story... He lied to me and then threatened me that he would have me thrown off the property when I told him he was lying and I was so mad I could have spit! I used a couple of words to express my feelings and he didn't like it. He is arrogant and he misrepresented the company and the services to me. I strongly recommended his firing to a complaint line they have set up in Utah but they turned it back to him and some guy named Don. There are NO checks and balances with this organization. No accountability! I finally spoke to a woman named Sabrina in Annapolis and dealt with her until I pulled all of my personal things out of there.

The day I was loading a truck with my movers another family was also moving out. To their surprise, they found mold all over their furniture. They showed it to me and explained that it should not have happened because they stored in a climate controlled building. So, it is filthy, dirty, not climate controlled, gates are broken most of the time and no one lives on the property anymore! The management is rude and unprofessional! I have moved to a locally run company and it is well managed with someone living on site. Very clean and no evidence of mice. This is very disappointing to me because it didn't have to be this way. I think this is a systemic condition of the entire company. The complaint line in Utah is a scam. I hope this is helpful and gives fair warning to any unsuspecting person just trying to store/care for their personal things that mean so much.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I've stored items in the storage unit for several years and it has done nothing but increase, increase, increase and when I ask why they give me some bogus story that for my specific unit, it's the current going price. This increase in rent has happened steadily every six months. Under NO circumstance should you leave any items in this storage unit for over six months, a year tops. It should be illegal for the owners to be able to increase the rent on the units as they do. It's nothing more than AMERICAN GREED!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I stored my things with Extra Space for three years, over the course of which the price of my unit doubled. While Extra Space mentioned periodic price increases when I signed up, I had the impression they would be uncommon - not so. The price hikes happen semi-randomly and without explanation or justification, and with little warning. While most companies reward their customers for longevity, Extra Space punishes those who stick around. Total rip-off! Avoid like the plague!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Just found out from storage insurance in 19 days this location sold. Never received anything from storage company so I could make other arrangements. Have no idea who purchased after numerous phone calls today. Insurance canceled 10/8/17. What about my stuff on 10/1?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

This company went out their way to tell me that the lock on storage was not properly locked and I was out of town and could not go to the storage to fix. They sent me an authorization immediately and changed the lock at no charge and mailed me the key and securing my belongings immediately after noticing the issue. I would recommend this company for great customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Extra Space Self Storage?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

Made an online reservation, called and talked to the on site manager twice, get there and they say, "Yes we have the unit but we can't honor the price you were quoted." I told them I had it in my email and showed him my "reservation and price." He said my reservation got cancelled and they he couldn't get it back. I would have to pay the higher rate. Called the manager above him, she was totally useless. Called above them, they just really don't care at all about customer service. Don't bother with this company unless you want to pay a premium for a storage unit.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

Watch out for these guys. The Company that runs these storage units change the prices of your monthly rent at a flip of the hat... They have INCREASED MY RENT up the rent 3 times IN THE LAST YEAR and I do not see them stopping anytime soon... My most recent claim is due to the lack of ATTENTION they give to the PROPERTY. I had a flat tire due to some constructions crews that they let work out of there. It's fine because they too should be able to rent but after they leave the management does not maintain the property... I was told that they are so busy making emails and cleaning out units. If the storage units are so great then why all the turn overs???

I actually had the DM OF THE COMPANY basically tell me it's not their problem in regards to the flat tire... These guys are the reason no ones wants to deal with a storage unit. TAKE CARE OF YOUR PROPERTY. That's what I pay for monthly... Be good at your job or do not do it and the FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT THING IS YOUR CUSTOMERS NOT EMPLOYEES... with out customers there are no employees needed...

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

Bianca at University Blvd Store, Orlando FL was so rude and snobby. Laughing at my family for not having a unit we reserved and drove to with a truck full. She kept smiling sarcastically and doing rude gestures. Gave a five percent discount. Wooow. Greedy and rude. Called corporate to complain after driving back and forth for two hours. Heather at Utah corporate was the same snobby and rude started to Hugh and laugh to her co-workers putting me on mute as I talked. I worked call centers. I can hear the background fade instantly. She did nothing but say she will get back to me in a few days... Horrible service. Bunch of rude prissy college garbage girls who are horrible at work. Bunch of brats. Go elsewhere. Worst place ever. Roaches are there and its humid AC turns off at night. Beware of this business.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I have three parking areas that I pay each month on time. Also have two that are the same size and I get charged a $20 difference on them. The RV parks no I started out paying $70, now paying close to $100 a month. I called to complain. Well I just get this very rude women named Samantha who thinks it's her company obviously. I told there is no need to respond to me like that hence it's not her company. She needs to learn customer service the right way and not let her personal life interfere with work. As of right now I am looking for somewhere else to park my stuff where I don't get surprised increases. It's the Extra Storage place in Dacula off Auburn road/highway 324. Don't go there.

Original review: July 11, 2017

I have rented from Extra Space Storage in Mt. Clemons, Mi. for 3 to 4 years in total. I upgraded from a 10x10 to a 10x15 last year. The reviews that speak about price increases are correct but all storage rentals continue to up the price simply Because They Can. Extra Space upped my price for the second time and I gave them notice. On my last day to move, there were heavy storms, so I contacted the office and asked for a 1 day extension. The employee was very nice and granted me the extra day... Then they charged me the FULL price.

Bottom line; NEVER trust someone at their word at Extra Space. When I attempted to contact corporate they just put you in a circle of automation so there is no way to even attempt to resolve an issue. DONE with Extra Space. By the way, here's a tidbit for you. My bank told me to NEVER use a debit card for the monthly payments. Always use your bank acct. and routing number for your payments. Cancelling and disputing issues like this are much easier. I was told that storage facilities are notorious for continuing to take payments after you have moved out. Just an FYI.

Original review: June 27, 2017

I've been using The storage facility for almost 6 months now and they raised my monthly fee $33.48. I went from paying $93.26 to paying $126.74. What kind of company will raise the rate that high without any notice. It hasn't even been a year. Then I went online and there are bigger units for cheaper than the monthly price that I'm currently paying. SMH.

Original review: June 16, 2017

I am above angry with the way my son was treated at the facility in Corina on Vincent after a spending the morning there going thru boxes to gather all the required documents to fill out his FAFSA grant for his second year of college. The male manager asked him to leave the property. He told him that it was obvious that someone was living there. We have not spent one night in that place. In fact we live at **. A home which my family have lived in for 45 year. I have always used this storage facility. I can recall at least 5 times in the last 20 years. I have a nephew who is currently renting 2 spaces in the same facility. It's paid for in full. He then turned the power. My parents have used it from time to time as well. We are long time loyal customers.

Apparently since I put my mattress on the floor instead of standing it up so it would not become lumpy... we are living there. We are not! And I feel humiliated. There is absolutely no proof that we are living there. I am LIVID!! I won't be there much longer. Perhaps 4 more weeks and I will be moving on. If I don't move my stuff next week to the storage down the street on account of being treated so poorly and rudely. No wonder he has to ask you to do leave a good customer review as you initiate your rental. No one in their right mind would do so if he didn't beg for you to do so, and trust me that fake customer service ends the very next day... I have a feeling he tells everyone that comes down the unit they wanted, "Just rented". In the five min it took you to hang up the phone and walk to the office... larger sales possibly for a larger bonus.

I seen several of the size I wanted available the very next day and no moving trucks moving them anyone out... being that our family home is so full and the storage is so close to where we do live. We do go by everyday. Sometimes every other. I see other customers at their storages everyday too. I only pick up a couple days of clothing for us and then I wash it and trade outfits and return to my family home... we will being doing this for the next few weeks. Don't want to clutter my family's home with our things. If there is a problem or this is against the rules let me know so I can update my customer review. There is one man that comes every day that has turned his space into a workshop. He then turned the power off in our unit so now when we go inside we can't see anything since our unit has no power.

As advertised will my rate go down? Or will it be fixed? We are in a deep hallway and even in the daytime it is impossible to see and I have 4 broken toes from tripping in the darkness. Between all my family members and myself I can recall more than 30 times we have rented a unit there. This is how they treat their loyal customers. They assume and judge with absolutely no proof. Look at your surveillance video before accusing people of things they are not doing.

Original review: June 10, 2017

Extra Space Self Storage has raised our rent from 32.00 to now 100.00. We have been customers for 2 years and feel the increase in rate is unacceptable. It seems to me that they offer you a great deal then do not seem to care about your welfare. We chose Extra Space because our parents kept their 5th wheel there. Our parents are no longer there either due to the fact that their 3500.00 compressor and thousands of dollars worth of tools STOLEN right from Extra Space property. When it was brought to management's attention, they seemed to not care at all!

So please beware that Extra Space Self Storage will lure you in with a great deal and RAISE the amount of your rent every 6 months faithfully!!!! Also beware if you park your 5th wheel there or any other vehicle outside thieves will climb wall and take any/all your valuables. The reason we did not move sooner is because my husband had a terrible accident at work and is now handicap (basically one handed). After this final raise in rent of 100.00... We will not be ripped off anymore. Sincerely, a VERY DISAPPOINTED EXTRA SPACE STORAGE CUSTOMER!!!

Original review: June 7, 2017

I am a current customer of Extra Space Storage located in Atlanta, Georgia. I am very disappointed in the company and their service. A little more than a year ago, they had a facility in the Atlanta area suffer a flood when the roof collapse. They eventually repaired the roof and discounted the service at that time. Since then the company's service has been horrible. Their website routinely fails. The phone billing service fails, and then they want you to pay a penalty for late payment when it is their fault. I have multiple cases with the firm and they have not responded. I will be filing additional complaints with versus state and regulatory agencies.

Original review: June 5, 2017

I've through with Extra Space Storage because of a nearly 15% rate increase for my unit. I had no option but to downsize to a smaller unit just 6 months ago for the same reason and now, another rate increase of $28. They told me that their rates are comparable with other companies. REALLY? In shopping around, I found another storage company $100. Cheaper for the same size unit. THE IRONY, Extra Space Storage has advertised, on their website, the same size unit I am vacating, for MUCH LESS! Duuuh, I'm glad they're not my CPA! I'm done with Extra Space Storage for good. They don't care about inconveniencing people going through an emotional life transition. Any wonder why there is a high foreclosure rate!

Original review: June 5, 2017

They seem to want to put certain people inside units. I only ended up w/ my outside unit b/c it was a different woman who was very helpful. My other family members who got a unit a month or so before me were all put inside. When their unit was due they got two weeks after due date w/o being locked out. They still called to remind them to pay... I called the location b/c she kept calling my phone every day for two weeks. She didn't like me asking her to call the customer of the unit. I gave her their number. She didn't LIKE it. My unit became due and they deactivated my account after 1 day. Really.

Original review: June 3, 2017

Extra Space Storage, 10760 SW 186th St, Miami, FL 33157. Never use this storage company! I have had two price increases of 10% in less than one year. They are offering the same size unit for $70.00 dollars less for new customers. I told them that did not make sense. They just raise the price whenever they like. Unfortunately Cube Smart was full when we needed space last year. I can highly recommend Cube Smart. Remember never use Extra Space Storage. I have left the storage site where I am at.

Original review: June 1, 2017

I have been utilizing Extra Space Storage for over a year. They repay my loyalty by increasing the rate every six months and told me if I did not like the increase that I should sign a year contract to lock in the rate!!! They knowingly increase the rate every six months... so if you know you will be there longer... please opt for the year contract to avoid their rate raising every six months!!! The customer service person said they knowingly do this and since I have a month-to-month lease, this is what they can do and I can always move my stuff out!!! Yes--- she said this!!! WTFont! Very dissatisfied. On top of the lazy manager on Airline in Metairie, LA.

On the first day I had signed up the movers were running behind and the lazy ** manager told me that if I was one minute late, she was closing the place and I would have to wait until the next day! IF you expect any great customer service - DO NOT FALL for the first month $1. IT is worth paying a good customer service place a month rent than to put up with all their fees and NON-Customer service. PLEASE AVOID 6005 Airline Drive, Metairie, LA - Also, the gate is often open and you can follow anyone in or out... not secure. Also I have seen major termites and roaches!!! Now they also sent me an extra insurance fee that is increasing as well!!! This place is a joke and a money pit. Go ahead and call them and they act so nice until you need customer service and then it is DOOR SHUT... this is A RIP OFF CITY! AVOID 6005 Airline Drive.

Original review: May 26, 2017

Extra space storage 4770 S Pecos Rd, Las Vegas, NV. We been renting this extra space storage for more than 3 years. Our trailer had been broken into twice not just our we other trailers. We seen people wondering around especially at sundown as they live there in the units. We reported and the reception told us it was not their problem. We told them about the other trailers broken into and they told us to just worry about our own ** stuff. I tried to report to the BBB and the location on Pecos Extra Space Storage is not even register in there. I will appreciate any feedback in this issue as is not just our property we advocating for but for other customers as well. Thank you so much for your attention you are putting on this best customer service matter.

Original review: May 24, 2017

Extra Space storage in Oceanside just sold all my property ILLEGALLY! I paid my storage rental fee through February, I had gone in two times in March to pay but the office was locked and nobody in site. I have been out of town for two and a half months staying with my son. I have been very ill (the manager has been informed of how sick I have become over the past year). I spoke to the manager in Feb. when I paid my bill and informed her of being out of town plans.

They NEVER sent me any notice via phone or email. I asked if they sent me a notice, knowing that my son would have told me. They lied and said yes. I then asked what address? He told me the last known address and stated the address that I MOVED OUT FROM A YEAR AGO! I told him that and he tried to say that I had to update my file, I know for a fact that I did update my file when my bank changed my Visa/debit card (for the addresses had to match in order to process the payment). I asked if they placed an ad in the paper that they were intending to auction my belongings off. They said they did. But refused to tell me what paper. I knew, once again... ANOTHER LIE!

I did recently conduct around five searches on the Internet over the past few weeks under my last name for family history and absolutely NOTHING popped up regarding any legal notices. I AM the ONLY Barbara ** in America and Canada! I am the third Barbara ** to be born on American soil. I asked how much did they sell my life for? He refused to tell me.

So after I cried and the shock passed enough for to talk, I asked my son to call them and ask about my pictures and personal files (medical records and such) and medical equipment. They said that they would contact the buyer and ask if he could save those items for me. Several days later, not surprised that they have not called as they said that they would... my son called them. They told him that they left a message for the person who bought my property and they haven't heard anything back. They STOLE my property! WELL OVER FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS WORTH!!!

INTENTIONALLY STOPPED EMAILS! Last email I received was at the end of February letting me know that my due date was approaching. May 1st I received an email from them indicating that there will be construction work on certain days and that I possibly would have issues getting inside the facility on those days. I did receive one phone call, possibly from them, I am not sure! There is one message on my voice mail, from a female, her voice is crystal clear, yet the message breaks up severely. Can only make out my first name! The word call and the area code. The person did NOT STATE THE BUSINESS NAME nor purpose. If this message is from Extra Space Storage, it is clearly intentionally sabotaged for one to not understand.

If they did actually mail any notices... they INTENTIONALLY MAILED the notice to an address that they knew would NOT get to me. They did not post a notice that they intended to sell/auction my property. I researched to see if I could find any legal notices from Extra Space Storage intending to auction property in San Diego County. Guess what. I found such notices which ended in 2015. Over a year ago!!!

I think that they broke the lock to put their lock on. I suspect they took a look inside and saw what I had in there and deliberately & deceitfully stopped my emails! Snail mailed such notice to an address I moved from a year ago! Left a broken message on my voicemail that would show that they called my number. But the message is another story! They did not post a legal notice. If they did auction my belongings... It was an inside thing, or leftovers from what they didn't steal.

WHEN YOU OPEN UP THE STORAGE DOOR, YOU'RE GREETED BY 20 LEATHER JACKETS (over 5 grand), TWO 36" FLAT SCREEN HD LCD TVs, a container of my gem collection, (well worth over 25K not appraised) two 21 speed Giant Bikes (paid over a grand), a beautiful Victorian electric fireplace/heater (600.00 from Costco), a two seater kayak from Costco, a 600.00 portable air conditioner, a side by side pewter refrigerator (Whirlpool - 2,400), Whirlpool king size washer & dryer $1,300. A queen size Comfortpeadic bed, $2,800. Plus much more. That is some of the stuff you SAW when you open the door.

This was a 5X20 unit that I paid $340.00 per month for over a year! They STOLE MY PROPERTY! I am 56 years old. I am on Social Security, for I am disabled and currently have issues with internal bleeding. I have severe anemia where I require blood transfusions, iron infusions, due to this I now have chronic kidney disease, stage 3. The manager of Extra Space Storage KNOWS this and stole all my belongings! I cannot rebuild my life again!

Original review: May 12, 2017

I was very disappointed with the customer service at Extra Space Storage before I even moved in. The day I was supposed to move, I arrived at 9:15 with stuff to store. I realized they didn't open until 9:30 so I was going to grab some coffee and come back. Then I saw the "manager" sitting in her car eating her breakfast watching me. She didn't even acknowledge me, let alone open 15 minutes early so I could set up an account and unload my car. When I was already unhappy with the company, I decided to find another storage facility.

Original review: May 1, 2017

We left our car in an outside storage space at ESS 1266 Us Hwy 41 By-Pass S Venice Fl 34285. When returning to pick up our car we felt it wasn't running properly so took it immediately to a garage to find we had a rat infestation and they had chewed through the transmission cables in our car. The repair bill was $700+. I notified the storage facility and have asked for compensation. I have made 2 visits and called 3 times but after waiting for 3 weeks and no one from ESS calling me I have been told the "supervisor" ** will not show any goodwill and pay us any compensation. I have not been able to get hold of Mr **. I have called the 800 number to inquire if units/spaces are insured against vermin damage and have been told yes? We left our car believing it would be safe. I would not advise anyone to use this facility as the after service has been appalling.

Original review: April 27, 2017

I begin renting space and was asked whether I had renter's insurance. I provided my renter's insurance information. I was advised by ESS that my carrier did not cover storage units. This was in 11/2014. I accepted what I was told. Today I contact my carrier and was advised that my renters' insurance covers my belongings throughout the US. Hence it also covered my storage unit. Mind you I have been paying $10.00 per month since 11/2014. That is $120.00 per year. When I called to inquire about arbitration, I was told that I would not be reimbursed. I advised them that I want to dispute the issue and request a refund since I was paying $10.00 for absolutely no reason. I intend to pursue my refund because this practice is a ripoff.

Original review: April 13, 2017

I called the national number to inquire about spaces, availability, pricing, etc. They asked if the phone I called from was a good callback number. I said it was not (last thing I want is to be on marketing lists and that wasn't my primary phone). Toward the end of the call I was again asked if the number was OK to use. I again said no. To my surprise, a few minutes later I get a call from the local site following up on my call to the national call center. So my number was in fact stored. I asked the local site to take that number off their system. Later that day I go to the local site to reserve a storage space and that number was STILL on their systems. Finally it's off, I think. This disregard for privacy outweighs any of their core business pluses and minuses.

Original review: April 12, 2017

I paid my account a few days late in March (March 27th). On Saturday, April 8th at 9:30 a.m. I got a call from Matt at Extra Space in Coral Springs stating because I was late I owed a late fee. I said no problem just tack it onto the following month. He told me he did not cash my payment and I had to pay the late fee. I told him I did not have a problem with that, however he should cash the check. I also told him why are you calling me at 9:30 on a Saturday. He said he tried to contact me but I did not receive any e-mails from Extra Space. I told him I wanted to talk to the manager Patrick and he said he would have him call me.

I called Matt today, April 12 and stated Patrick did not call me back. He said Patrick no longer had that storage area. He told me it was a company policy to not take the check if the late fee was not paid. I let him know I was going to talk to the corporate office because he was not making sense. I have not been up to the storage, however I guarantee that I have been blocked out. I will be looking for another storage but first I must send a complaint to the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: April 11, 2017

April 11, 2017. Their branches in Orange County, CA are understaffed. E.G. - 511 S. Grand Ave., Santa Ana, CA branch: Currently only 1 staff member there; just the Asst. Manager. - no onsite Manager, no janitor or Maintenance person; just 1 person doing it all while gate hours are 6 am to 10 pm. People (renters and none-renters) unlawfully live inside rented and vacated storage units, living inside units for months, before any complaint to Extra Space management is even looked into.

There has been an ongoing rodent problem there at this facility for over 1 1/2 years. Areas at facility's outside units stink of feces and urine from people dumping human urine there that dump in front of other people's rented storage units and urine dumped in the roadway in front of outside storage units. This facility was managed and maintained better when a manager named Chelsea worked there. She did regular patrols and kept druggies, squatters, low lives & rodents away or at bay. Good renters are getting their belongings contaminated by horrible odors from mice feces and urine, and by human urine waste improperly or unlawfully disposed of there. The urine odors do not come off everything - especially the rubber items, papers and likewise items. Your belongings get corrupted, contaminated and some of your belongings have to get thrown away. Extra Space isn't reimbursing for your losses.

The gate hours of 6 am to 10 pm is allowing squatters and low lives, especially when a facility is understaffed or if the employees don't do their job or care about people living inside storage units there. Renters' rent payments dropped off in mail slot have been known to mysteriously disappear, never to be found. This causes ID theft worries and a person forced to close bank account (s), plus the expense of ordering new checks to new bank acct.

Contacting corporate office is a waste of time. When you ask for Legal Dept., the response is "there is no Legal Dept.". The same scenario when you ask for Customer Service or to speak to anybody in authority there. You get the response "I'm sorry but nobody here can speak with you and you cannot leave a voice mail, nor do we have any email address or phone number to give you to speak to anybody in authority here."

Wish I knew this 2 years ago when I spent close to $2,000 moving a house and garage full of stuff into storage units at Extra Space. Years ago Extra Space was a defendant in a class action. That should have been a red flag. Now my belongings are imprisoned in the storage units because the human urine dumpages smell so strong outside the units' doors. The urine odors contaminate &/or destroy your belongings if you open your unit doors and expose them to the urine odors outside your door. I would not recommend this storage facility to anyone. It's all about Extra Space having deaf ears, giving deceptive ads and false promises, and making money off the public, to keep their shareholders happy.

Original review: April 6, 2017

Extra Space Storage bought my facility from a different owner. Ever since they did it has been a horrible experience!! I hate this place! There is no customer service!! Employees are like robots programmed to say a certain thing. They took away trash cans so no place to put trash! I call to pay my bill and most times no answer and when I go to facility they say, "Sorry I was helping someone." I have been at this facility for 8/9 years... it's time to move on.

Original review: March 31, 2017

I lost everything because of Extra Space auctioned off my life. I lost everything because of Extra Space auctioning off my things. Then to add insult to injury they said nothing personal was in there to be returned to me. I lost car sales, documents, my social security along with everything belonging to my children, their social security cards, their pictures and classroom arts. I lost so much and they had absolutely no compassion. I'd like to think those are personal items and important. They are the worst.

Original review: March 26, 2017

I rented a new storage unit whereas I was to move our belongings from an existing smaller unit (same site) into the larger unit. I am moving to Buford from Flowery Branch, GA and imagine my surprise when I arrived with the U-Haul full of belongings from my home and found locks on my unit. I paid for this unit 4 days ago. It is after hours and of course the office is closed tomorrow. Called all of the 800 numbers and a supervisor was consulted and it as stated by the person who answered the call that there was nothing that could be done about it.

I have a U-Haul I have to unload back into my garage tomorrow and pay close to $200.00 for the vehicle and absolutely did not get to move or utilize my rental unit. I will empty out the smaller unit and definitely move everything to another business. Maybe I can work something out with U-Haul tomorrow. There is no way to contact email or call anyone in a situation like this. I did not go through this with the smaller unit. I was never told I had to come in during office hours to pick up any keys to locks that would be placed on an empty but rented unit. Incredibly terrible business and a big loss to my pocket book as I might have to have two trucks now to make the big move to my new home this coming weekend.

Original review: March 22, 2017

I rent a storage space. It works well for us. It's a good service. Price is a concern, it's a good trade off. My belonging are safe.

Extra Space Self Storage expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Extra Space Storage operates self-storage facilities across 38 states and Puerto Rico. They offer various storage unit sizes as well as storage for small to large vehicles and boats.

• Unit size: Extra Space Storage offers unit sizes ranging from from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 30 feet. This is equivalent to the size of a small walk-in closet to the size of a one-and-a-half car garage. They also offer enclosed garage style parking to protect vehicles as well as outdoor covered or uncovered parking.
    • Moving tips: Consumers can find online moving tips via informational videos or guides. Planning tips include information on downsizing, staging your home for sale and hiring a moving company. Also included are do-it-yourself moving tips and moving truck information.
    • Discounts: For people moving themselves, Extra Space Storage partners with Budget Truck which offers a variety of trucks and vans. Consumers can call their toll-free number online to reserve a truck and save up to 20 percent. If people rent for a year or more they can receive the 13th month for free.
    • Storage lease: Storage leases are offered on a flexible month-to-month basis or a long-term, prepaid, yearly basis. Insurance is required for each unit rented. Monthly payments can be made on-site, online, by phone or by mail. Upon vacating the unit, consumers need to give a verbal 2-day notice or a written 15-day notice.
    • Service areas: Extra Space Storage operates in 38 states and Puerto Rico. Consumers can go online for a breakdown of cities and which units are available in each city.
    • Best for: Consumers needing short or long term storage and vehicle storage.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs