3.4/5 (231 ratings)

About Extra Space Self Storage

Extra Space Self Storage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Extra Space Self Storage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Extra Space Self Storage?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2022

This people are SHARKS. In the last 12 months extra space storage in Lawrenceville GA, has increased my rent first from $230 to $ 320 on Feb 2022. Then now in December 2022 they increased another $ 80.00 USD to $ 400. DON'T Rent from this company. I have been with them since 2015. I will remove my items soon, even if it means doing it in the middle of the cold winter in January.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2022

This place uses unacceptable business practices by luring customers with low initial rate and then raises rate at their whim without any notification. My messages are ignored completely and I cannot get in touch with anyone to discuss rate increase that almost doubled since I moved my personal belongings there. This sounds more like a scam operation than a legitimate business. They keep charging my credit card and yet totally ignore me as a paying customer. Beware of this place! There are better options out there, but I am overseas and unable to address their abhorrent business practice at the moment.

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

Within a few months of moving into the storage unit, I received a price increase. There were more increases prior to my ending my lease. I moved out only to be told the unit would be cleaned and opened back up for rental to another customer even though I would not receive a refund for the 3 weeks I prepaid for the unit. I said I would close it back up until the end of the period I paid for and was told 'that's not how it works'. I said they had two options - refund me for the period of time I would not be allowed to occupy the unit even though I had paid for it or not put another renter in that unit. It was ridiculous. On multiple occasions, I was unable to access my property due to faulty access equipment. I did not receive any courtesy adjustment, just apologies. It has been a highly disappointing experience.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

I've been renting a unit 10x15 for about 4 month. First two months I paid $191. Then one time I was one day late and they charged me $30. Few more days another $30. Then after I paid all that. Next thing I know my rent is 219 now. So they ripping people off. They like to charge fees and your rent just goes up every time. I very unhappy.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2022

The big issue seems to be their website. I am not able to login to my account even though it says I have an email and auto payment on file. I did it all online. Now I am not able to login? And I don't have an email account on file? Something is really wrong here.

-PRICE INCREASE. First it was $125 bucks. Then $177. Now it's $213 a month? That's a lot of money for storage in the area I live in. And with so many other competing new storage places built? I don't less than a block away? It seems I should just move my stuff around as it's all neatly in boxes. Raising it 3x in less than 6 months seems to be a bit overkill. It seems like a great place to store stuff for a month or so and then move out. It seems that would be the best way to go about it. Or just move your stuff from unit to unit to save costs. Sooner or later, they will get tired of people doing that I guess.

-LIGHTING. It's okay. In the storage I got, it was broken for like 2 months and took about a month to get fixed as they had to wait for parts. It's the NEW LED style, so I can understand. Just wish there was more communication on that.

-SERVICE. It's been pretty good. I have to admit, it's not bad. One of the people I saw seemed to be a bit miffed about seeing me. But I get the Wagie lifestyle. They want you to have a car for the job, but I don't think they pay for gas and trips. So not a great company to work for I think. But who knows. Overall? I have had no problems so far with staff.

-LOCATION. It's VERY close by. So I like it. And it does seem more upscale than most others. Still weird they don't have trash cans there. But I can understand that. The place is however kept very clean. And they do have nice music there so it's kind of nice there.

-COST Vs. Benefit. It's higher than the rest. But I suspect they do this to keep riffraff out. I can understand that. I also think since it's so close, it's nice to be able to just walk across the street and get what I need. But really? If you're going to pay more than $200 a month for something, you might want to get some property and do the same thing. Starting a storage business is pretty worthwhile. So I think that this company is great for short term stays, but long term? I would look elsewhere.

-BEST PART OF COMPANY. How EASY it was to get started. I mean it was fast. Easy. And the way it should be. I had zero issues getting the unit all online and it worked flawlessly! Doing it all online was a cinch. And I have to say the best part of it all. Everything was in my unit ready for me to get started. The process was a BREEZE! And I do enjoy going there. I like the music. And it has some nice views there. So overall? Pretty happy. And I have to admit. They make the place on the outside look VERY nice. The Flags outside are getting a bit worn, but overall, still looks nice and new.

Conclusion: I will be moving my things to a new one and shuffle my stuff around for the best rates. I got nothing better to do, so why not. :-) Either they will get tired, or I will. One of the two. I need to organize my stuff anyways. And stacking it again in another unit seems like a good idea.

-**

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

I had only been a renter for about 3 weeks! I came to Extra Space one afternoon to inquire about cost and availability. I was having significant issues with a living situation and needed a solution. I already had a unit rented in another location and would be making arrangements to move all of my property out of that unit into your facility in downtown Denver. The woman who assisted me (facility manager) was polite and helpful in accommodating my needs at first.

During the 1st week we had a couple unfortunate incidents. Due to my drastic situation I had been experiencing homelessness. I needed a place to put my clothes and items that were way too much to haul around with me. But due to exhaustion and winter weather conditions, I accidentally fell asleep in my unit 2 nights in a row while coming and going to change my clothes and seek some heat and rest NOT trying to stay in the unit as a living space! The site manager made contact with me after my door code failed to work and stated that the usual protocol was to terminate the lease but that they would reduce my access to office hours only!

My operating hours are outside of 9 to 5 and that rendered me unable to access my clothes for which I had to buy something to wear and replace hygiene products. A week later (having been away from my property) I finally managed to arrive in the evening and was getting my stuff together when I realized I had lost track of time and was again approached by security and this time asked to move out.

I am absolutely furious with this so called policy which leaves little room for human error (error which considering the state of the global economy and the impact of COVID on so many people could be at least understood). But error or not I refuse to pay $250 dollars a month for reduced access outside of what I signed a contract expecting. I have another unit of the same size at $100 less a month without restriction or incident. A paying tenant should be free to utilize space however they need provided it is not illegal, unhealthy, disruptive or destructive. SUPER DISAPPOINTING after what seemed like such a good start. Guess I should have read all the reviews and complaints before signing.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2022

Paying $257 for a 40’ covered parking. Got notice it was going to $335, moved to a shorter “back in” space. Prior space day vacant for 5 months, then rented to another for $240. I had waited 4 years for that specific space, as it is the only drive through space that had a direct exit.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

After only a few months the rent went up 46%!!! From $138 to $200! I did not receive any notification via email, phone call, text, or even regular mail. On the day I checked the ESS website, there are storage spaces of the same size as mine available for only $100!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2022

I only chose to post the review here, because when I put it up on their actual website, someone took it down the next day. This review is regarding the 1451 Rinehart Rd, Sanford, FL location. This review is also NOT against the manager, **, but against the 'assistant manager' (in which I will not even use her 'real' name). ** has been great and is the reason I gave them 2 stars instead of 1.

And the story goes like this: I encountered who many of us would call a 'Karen!' Keep in mind, this happened in the middle of a bright sunny day (not night time and you'll eventually see why this is important). I've only had the unit for about 2 1/2 months and things had started off rocky to begin with by having the call center rep lie to me just to get the sale. This being my very first time renting a storage unit I had no idea what to expect. So on this day, I pull up and see (who I'm calling Karen) in front of the building sweeping leaves. She clearly sees me cause I was the only car...a very noticable car....besides one already parked. I go to my unit and I'm working putting things away with the door half way open (cause I don't want 'nosey' people looking at what I have in my 'private' unit) and I hear someone outside the unit trying to get my attention...It's her!

This woman followed me and wanted to view what I had in my there cause she claims to have never seen me before. Then she has the nerve to ask me if I've been living in the unit. So now you're claiming to know 'every' storage owner on the property??? And since you claim to have never seen me before, what behavior did you witness me doing that you felt the need to 'follow' me? I was dressed neat and normal, hair nicely combed...certainly didn't have the look of a homeless person. But for some reason she racially profiled me.

The sad thing is that Extra Space has already taken months of storage fees (which seem to have gotten higher) and I've only been there a few times. Certainly, if I was 'living' there, would you not have seen me 'multiple' times on the cameras coming in or going out at odd hours (and a smart person would not come there in broad daylight if they've taken up residence there. I feel I'm a pretty smart person). Not only that, I'm a business owner (2 businesses to be exact and my husband is a retired military veteran and a realtor). We 'have' a home that we've lived in since it was built brand new for 16 years that is close to being paid off. I drive a late model vehicle that IS paid off so I don't think I need to live in your creepy storage facility! I'd sell as many of my possessions as possible and find a 'normal' home to live in.

You don't just come up to people and ask them a question like that. You have to have overwhelming 'evidence' that something like that is happening. Your job is to maybe watch the person on the cameras and witness them doing unusual or irregular activity. Then if you see them coming in and going out at odd hours you may have grounds to confront them. I was later told by management there that she most 'certainly' DID NOT follow the proper protocol, but because she's still employed there, I felt the review was necessary!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2022

This review is about Extra Space Storage. Headquarters 2795 E Cottonwood Pkwy #400, Cottonwood Heights, UT 84121. San Antonio location: 4515 DeZavala Rd 78249. I have been using this entity for about 3 year and the original fee for my unit was $218. As of today with no notice, the fee has jumped to $359. The customer service is terrible. Even the live chat gives a message "we're busy, check back later". The only time I've ever gotten a call, was the 1 time in 3 years when a payment was a day late. They harassed my emergency contact about the money.

Extra Space Self Storage author review by Jessica Render

Extra Space Storage operates self-storage facilities across 38 states and Puerto Rico. They offer various storage unit sizes as well as storage for small to large vehicles and boats.

• Unit size: Extra Space Storage offers unit sizes ranging from from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 30 feet. This is equivalent to the size of a small walk-in closet to the size of a one-and-a-half car garage. They also offer enclosed garage style parking to protect vehicles as well as outdoor covered or uncovered parking.

• Moving tips: Consumers can find online moving tips via informational videos or guides. Planning tips include information on downsizing, staging your home for sale and hiring a moving company. Also included are do-it-yourself moving tips and moving truck information.

• Discounts: For people moving themselves, Extra Space Storage partners with Budget Truck which offers a variety of trucks and vans. Consumers can call their toll-free number online to reserve a truck and save up to 20 percent. If people rent for a year or more they can receive the 13th month for free.

• Storage lease: Storage leases are offered on a flexible month-to-month basis or a long-term, prepaid, yearly basis. Insurance is required for each unit rented. Monthly payments can be made on-site, online, by phone or by mail. Upon vacating the unit, consumers need to give a verbal 2-day notice or a written 15-day notice.

• Service areas: Extra Space Storage operates in 38 states and Puerto Rico. Consumers can go online for a breakdown of cities and which units are available in each city.

by Jessica Render ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Jessica Render is dedicated to providing well-researched, valuable content designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions they can feel confident making. She holds a degree in journalism from Oral Roberts University.

Extra Space Self Storage Company Information