3.7/5 (580 ratings)

About Suddenlink

Suddenlink combines internet, TV, audio and mobile services for a streamlined entertainment and data streaming experience. Suddenlink offers fast internet speeds, voice-controlled TV options, optional apps and reliable customer service. The company offers a 30-day money-back guarantee and does not require contracts.

Pros

• Plans start at $35 a month
  • Easy-to-use central platform
  • Price for life options on some plans

Cons

• Not available in all areas
  • Difficult to cancel

Bottom Line

Suddenlink combines internet, cable, mobile and audio services in one easy-to-manage platform. Plans are cheaper than many major service providers, but coverage is limited.

Top Suddenlink Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Everyone is very nice in person or on the phone. They answer questions, seem happy with their jobs, always make sure I'm taken care of before I get off the phone or leave the offi...

Verified

I have been with Suddenlink about a year and a half. Their technical performance has been excellent. I have appointment with their customer service representatives online, over th...

How does Suddenlink internet work?

Suddenlink internet plans start at $35 a month and have no annual contracts. Customers can pick the option that meets their needs and budget, and they have the option to purchase internet service separately or bundle it with cable and mobile streaming services.

Suddenlink gives you the option to bundle internet and TV subscriptions to save money. Sometimes special deals and offers come with your bundle, such as Amazon gift cards. Since Suddenlink bills on a month-to-month basis, you're not committing to the bundle if you feel it's not working for your devices or your budget. It is easy to make changes and modifications to your plan.

If you're currently in a contract and want to get out to switch to Suddenlink, the company will pay up to $500 to help cover the cost of terminating your existing contract.

Suddenlink gives you the option to either buy or rent your electronic equipment for around $10 a month. Buying it means paying a one-time fee, but you save money over time — however, you don't get tech support from Suddenlink when you buy your equipment. If you rent, you pay more over time, but the monthly costs are low.

Suddenlink mobile service

Along with internet and TV options, Suddenlink offers mobile services through its parent company, Altice USA. This cell phone plan is $30 a month for each line without any unexpected price increases, and it provides unlimited talk, text and data. It offers 99% nationwide coverage, and you can cancel at any time.

Suddenlink internet prices

Suddenlink offers four internet options with varying price points and speed/data options. Plans and price points may vary based on where you live.

Internet planCost
Internet 100$34.99 a month
Internet 300$44.99 a month
Internet 400$54.99 a month
Internet 1 Gig$74.99 a month

Suddenlink doesn’t have any contracts or data caps. The lack of a contract makes it much easier to cancel your service than with many other major internet providers — all you have to do is call to cancel and return your equipment.

Other Suddenlink costs to consider

Standard installation is free when you sign up online or $49 otherwise. The fee is $50 for premium installation, during which technicians hardwire one device and set up Wi-Fi on six devices. There is also a $3.50 one-time network enhancement fee.

If you cancel your Suddenlink internet service, you must return your equipment or pay for it. If you choose to keep it, you'll owe $125 for the modem and between $75 and $150 for the wireless router.

Suddenlink FAQ

How much is Suddenlink internet per month?
Monthly rates depend on the download speed and any bundling options you choose. On average, monthly rates range between $35 to $75 a month.
Is Netflix free with Suddenlink?
No. Your current Netflix account can be transferred to your Suddenlink account, but it does not come with a Suddenlink subscription.
How can I pay my Suddenlink bill?
There are many ways to pay your bill. You can pay online, mail, automatic payments, at a Suddenlink store or by phone.
Can I cancel my Suddenlink service online?
No. You need to call customer service to cancel your plan.
Who owns Suddenlink?
Altice USA owns Suddenlink.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: June 14, 2022

0 stars. This is absolutely the most dishonest company I have ever dealt with. No exaggeration. Do not use them if you can avoid it! After many hours, on hold with these people every time you call it at least 45 minutes. I am now, 55 minutes as we speak and can't talk to anyone I can understand. Canceled this service and mailed the equipment back in early April, called and got a final bill which was paid April 29th and now 2 months later they are sending me another bill for overage in an apartment we had moved out of and confirmed equipment was returned and received by Suddenlink on my last call of over an hour. Today, after transferring numerous times, each giving an account number and telephone number, all this hold and they don't even transfer that. Then they tell me to speak with a supervisor it will 2 - 4 hours. Which is after 11:00 pm my time. They are horrible. Rude and unprofessional. How can I leave 0 stars???

Suddenlink response

Hello Cindy! We appreciate you taking the time to share what happened. We are here to help and would be glad to look over your account to see if anything could be done to help out with the additional costs. Please feel free to reach back out to us directly at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include her full address or account number

Original review: June 7, 2022

I have been a Suddenlink internet subscriber for years now because they were the only option in my rural area. I have experienced short outages dozens of times per day due to poor infrastructure that they will not upkeep making the service pretty much useless for online gaming, livestreaming, video conferencing and the like.

In an attempt to troubleshoot their issues myself I returned their equipment to the local office and purchased my own equipment however they still charged me the extra $10 a month for the equipment rental for over a year even after several calls about it and refuse to credit my account for an entire month that I was without any service. As I now have another ISP option (Starlink) I called and disconnected their service today. My advice to any prospective customers is to stay FAR away from them if you have any other option.

Suddenlink response

Hi Kevin, Thanks for taking the time to comment. I want to let you know that we are here to help and would be glad to further address. Please don't hesitate to reach back out to us directly at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include your full address or

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 30, 2022

Suddenlink is the worst internet provider I have ever had the displeasure of being forced to subscribe from. If they did not have a literal monopoly on my area, so that I have NO other alternatives, I would have disconnected their services. If you ever have any other options, do NOT get internet from Suddenlink. They had the wrong apartment number for my service, and I called them SIX TIMES to correct the address. Each time they told me the address had been corrected in their system--a blatant lie. I warned them that as soon as someone moved into the vacant apartment we were not in, they would have an issue when that person tried to connect their service. I was completely right. I woke up to to calls from Suddenlink that there was an issue with service at "my" address.

After spending a lot of time on the phone with them, again, I have MAYBE gotten my service switched to the correct address, but they are forcing me to wait for a technician to come out since my service was "disconnected." You know, at the place I NEVER LIVED. They have been nothing but incompetent and deceitful. It was also impossible for me to see what service package we had from their awful website when I was trying to set up my "new" service AT THE ADDRESS I HAVE LIVED AT FOR A MONTH AND HAVE SERVICE AT.

Currently, I cannot even access my online account for the correct address and set up bill pay or anything. It is STILL the wrong address. In short, Suddenlink is incompetent, lying, never actually addresses their issues, has infrastructure that makes correcting or changing anything on your account a complete nightmare, and overall is a TERRIBLE internet service provider.

Suddenlink response

Hi Charles, We appreciate you taking the time to share what happened. We are here to help and would be glad to look over your account. Please feel free to reach back out to us directly at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include her full address or account number

Original review: May 28, 2022

Worst internet experience ever!! They clearly are advertising to set themselves up to be bought. However, they do not have the servers to support their customer. If I were a big fish looking at them I would run, because it will cost you a lot of money to make Suddenlink to be barely compatible with the worst satellite system. Again, come to peak time, they suck! Good luck to anyone who buys them!

Suddenlink response

Hi Arte, Thank you for your feedback, I apologize for the poor experience. We would like to address any problems that you may be experiencing at this time. Please reach out to our team at BrandReviews@AlticeUSA.com and provide your account info

Original review: May 13, 2022

Damn monopoly. I’m begging to get off SuddenLink. They have always been a terrible company to deal with, they continue to be a terrible company and now they’re rebranding because they’re running from their horrendous reputation. It is unfortunate that this company outbid so many other providers and they are the only high speed internet Option in many areas including ours. Let me try to list the unending issues with them.

1) They are unable to actually prove a true 1GB speed, as 400-500 Gbps is the fastest I have gotten with high speed models.

2) Customer service is outsourced. They lie, hang up, and otherwise don’t want to actually help. I’ve been told multiple times the “system is updating and we can’t help you. Call back in a few hours.” When I confront this lie, they hang up. Call back get another outsourced employee who will look up the outage, and tell you they now have no idea when internet will come back.

3) Outages, outages, outages. This is the worse infrastructure I’ve ever used. There are daily outages, they throttle your speed and they tamper your usage. They never know when the outage will return, and when you call, the automated system works incredibly hard to avoid getting you to an agent.

This company is the worst! If you have any other choice for high speed, use it. You do not want SuddenLink. Unfortunately, I’m stuck and these ** know this and refuse to provide better service.

Suddenlink response

Hey Nate, We are here to help and would be glad to further address the internet issue you are experiencing. If you are still seeking assistance with your connection, please don't hesitate to reach back out to us directly at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include your full address or account number so we could take a closer look from our end. Thanks!

Original review: May 13, 2022

I tried to get Suddenlink Altice purchased & installed in my home. I had called sales...outsourced somewhere in Latin America. Had a sales rep that promised me the moon. More channels, bigger better faster than I had before at a cheaper price... Additional DVR's at no charge. A booster for my Internet. 1GB speed instead of 400 mbp's. Promised me that install was going to be the next day, so I took off of work to be here. NO INSTALLER SHOWED. Then I go to my e-mail & the install is schedule for the following day so I take another day off of work. Installer shows up & installs 2 of the 3 tv DVR's. Cannot figure out the 3rd one so he says he is coming back later. NEVER SHOWS UP AGAIN! I call Suddenlink when I realize that there is an issue with the cable package I have... NOT ONLY DO I NOT HAVE MORE CHANNELS than I was promised. I ACTUALLY HAVE LESS...She gave me basic cable which I do NOT WATCH!

I have been on the phone with Suddenlink for OVER 8 hours today to try to get it fixed. Passed from person to person, got disconnected once after talking to several people & being passed around. I cannot tell you how ABSOLUTELY FRUSTRATED I AM with the ABYSMAL service I have received. This company has to be the worst at everything! They are dishonest in sales. Their customer service is atrocious. I HONESTLY DO NOT understand how they are still in business! If they did not have exclusives in areas. They surely could NOT BE! If you can find ANY OTHER CABLE PROVIDER IN YOUR AREA...My friendly advice is take it! If Suddenlink is your only choice consider the old fashioned rabbit ears for reception, or go without!

Suddenlink response

Hey Lee, Thank you for your feedback. I apologize for the poor experience, please don't hesitate to reach back out to us directly at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include your full address or account number so we could take a closer look from our end. Thanks!

Original review: May 6, 2022

I was with Suddenlink for almost 6 years. When I decided to switch company, Suddenlink charge me for a modem that they never gave to me. I bought my own modem from Best Buy and I still have the receipt. Plus, if they would of provided a modem they would be charging me rent for the modem which they never did. Now they still want me to pay over $100 for some they never gave me. Big scam and I would just stay away from them.

Suddenlink response

Hi Ramiro, We are here to help and would be glad to further address the equipment charges for you. Feel free to message us back directly at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include your full address or account number if you were still seeking assistance.

Original review: April 30, 2022

Was not looking forward to having their service due to the many negative reviews. Let me add my voice here. Suddenlink (now Optimum) is unreliable. I ordered 1GB internet and while it is fast, it's dropped constantly to the point where browsing the internet is not enjoyable anymore. Youtube videos do not load, pages time out, etc. They don't know how to handle the load. It seems like they throttle which should be illegal, BTW, since I'm paying over 200 a month on cable and internet. I have no choice but to use them because I work from home and have no other high speed provider. Since they are clueless (they would have figured it out by now), I'm patiently waiting for another supplier who I will be throwing my money at. Poor Optimum for buying Suddenlink. We have fiber optic being laid out in my city as we speak so they will be losing most of their subscribers when it's finished. No matter if Optimum fixes things, I am moving to the new fiber optic provider.

Suddenlink response

Hey Eric, We are here to help and would be glad to assist you with your connection. Please message us back at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include your full address or account number so we could take a closer look at what might be causing your issues.

Original review: April 26, 2022

Suddenlink came in and installed lines in our community. We were excited to switch to a higher speed internet. They came in and had issues running their service to our home, after months of rescheduling and having different people come out and do nothing we had to move on and cancel. We never received equipment, or any type of service yet they want to bill us $300. Absolutely ridiculous, it has been 2 years!! Every time they sell the debt to a new collection company, we have to call Suddenlink on three-way with the collection company in line. Expect an entire day wasted because the wait time are over an hour and when you finally connect with someone they are not able to help. Worst company, worst customer service, if you have options.... RUN! And do not look back. Save yourself the headache and years of frustration.

Suddenlink response

Hello Ty, Thanks for commenting. We are here to help and would be glad to take a closer look at this. Please message us back directly at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include your full address or account number.

Original review: April 22, 2022

I've been a Suddenlink customer for over five years. Over this time my cost for internet hasn't changed much, now paying $87.10 for 400mbs. My service has been pretty good no complaints there. I received a notice that they were changing their name to Optimum so thought I'd see if anything else had change. I went to their chat session and was wondering about their new pricing. And am proud to say I got the same double talk and inconsistencies I've had in the past. They offer an advertised plan of 300mbs for $29.99. I was told after all the add-ons would be over $76. So no sudden link hasn't changed only their name same suddenlink in a different package. Was told to call them. I asked if that was better. Last time for me was on hold for 4hrs. She shut the chat down... Just beware of the hidden costs. Mine are $34.89 for internet + $30 for 400mbs + modem $10 + $6.99 ins. Tricky, tricky.

Suddenlink response

Hi Paul, Thanks for taking the time to comment. I want to let you know that we are here to help and would be glad to further address any billing problems or account questions you may still have. Please don't hesitate to reach back out to us directly at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include your full address or account number.

Suddenlink Company Information