1.16/5
Based on 124 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

160 Suddenlink Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I tried getting a new account with these people and what a learning hour it was. They needed to run a credit check and then said I would have to provide two forms of ID at their nearest store. I had froze my credit for security purposes so wanted to go ahead and go to their nearest store until I found out it was three states away! When I asked for a manager I never got one. They are the only provider in my area with exception of Hughes and wanted to charge $42 a month for 25 Mbps or 8-10 download and 5-8 upload!!! They do not have any local contractor to verify my ID so what do they do about service?! Save yourself the headache. Hughesnet here I come.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

When moving my services to a new address was a complete mess, there was no lack of customer service. About every single representative would state they would call me back or have someone call me back, which not one did. Besides one did on a all week basics because I firmly informed him that I was fed up with this company, once my tech got out here and hooked my services up our phones was still down for a whole another day. This is a company I'm trying to run so after jumping through representatives after representative that kept transferring me because I'm assuming they didn't want to deal with me or didn't know how I finally land on someone that helped me and after a few hours my phones was back up. (There was a lot more problems through. This those was just the main ones).

Then I get my bill and call about the adjustment cost because I don't think I should be charged after all the problems they put me and my business through. I think that Suddenlink itself should have to pay the tech not add it on my bill. (Be a different story if this process has went smoothly, I wouldn't have had a problem with it.) But the Representative informed me there was not any notes on my account on about how many times I called in and etc. (Go fig that they wouldn't put complaints or anything in there).

Needless to say she informed me that there was nothing that she could do and that I would half to pay it anyways. No apologies, no discounts, no promotions, not even offered a coupon on their horrid services. I'd be embarrassed to represent this company. Needless to say if you don't want any customer service or respect go with this company. I be switching once I get my new service quote whether it's higher or not just because they are great with their customer service. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE GOES A LONG WAYS!

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Suddenlink has increased our rate 38% in the last 8 months, and we've been with them over 10 years. They ordered a technician to come to our home because our speed isn't what we are paying for. Charged $65 without notifying us of this possibility. Technician checked our modem and router and stated we needed a new router. Did not check any connections inside or outside the home. We purchased exactly the type and brand of equipment recommended. Internet speed only worsened. They want to charge another $65 to come back. Reported to BBB.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Just randomly put $64.05 on my bill. No notification at all that I was going to be charged for service tech call, either over the phone with Suddenlink or with their outsourced service technician. On top of that the service tech misdiagnosed the problem. Charges were unauthorized, undocumented (NO RECEIPT) and received worthless, detrimental service. Along with the price increases every 3 months and assorted other surprises, this company is a law unto itself and pretty much does whatever THEY WANT TO DO AT RANDOM.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I recently moved from Arkansas to New Mexico. The last day at the Arkansas home was June 9, 2018, where we had high speed internet service with Suddenlink. My wife contacted Suddenlink on July 5, 2018 and advised them that we had moved, sold the house and requested the service be discontinued, and I paid the remains balance on our service bill of $2.69 on July 5, 2018. The last service we had from Suddenlink was high speed internet. From 2004-2007 we had both cable and internet service with them. In 2011 we requested the cable tv be discontinued.

So from 2011 until we moved in 2018 we had high speed internet only. So, on August 1, 2018, at my new address, I receive a bill from Suddenlink for $150.00. It is very generic, and it simply states “Service Period 08/05 - 09/04; Due Date 08/14/2018; Total Due $150.00”. So I call to resolve the issue, thinking maybe it was a mistake and they just didn’t disconnect the service, and lo and behold...they advise me that I owe them $150 for Cable Television Equipment, specifically a “cable box” that I never returned to them. Well, as stated above, we haven’t had cable TV since 2007, and as far as I know they took the alleged equipment with them in 2007 when we disconnected Cable TV.

At any rate, why are they just now bringing this issue up? If I had this equipment I would have gladly returned it to them or paid them for it in 2007. But there is no way in the world they can justify billing me for equipment I don’t have or haven’t needed for over 10 years, and equipment I probably paid for years ago. Also, what value does this equipment have to Suddenlink today, even if it did exist? Of course they are going to try to extort this money from me with the threat of a collection action that may affect my credit rating. Their “supervisor” I last spoke with was “Deandra” employee # **, whom I could tell was nothing but entertained by my issues and complaint. She snickered at my claims and was highly unprofessional.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suddenlink?

Original review: July 25, 2018

Artemio who is an employee at Suddenlink in Lubbock, Texas did not like doing his job and canceled my appointment without my knowledge, just because he wanted to be rude. I have not had service at my home for a month now and they want to charge me over $400. I do NOT recommend this company to anybody!

Original review: July 25, 2018

No matter what part of dealing with Suddenlink, incompetence is at the highest level. From customer service to billing to communications with the customers. I have had several accounts, business and personal with Suddenlink, and every single one of the accounts has had major issues. One account had me with no invoicing going to me, paper or email, and when I brought it to their attention and actually saw the bill, they were charging me a for a business account and a personal account on the same property, for 18 months! Then, they would not go back and give me credit for it, saying I should have told them about it. So, they gave me a 3 month credit... Seriously?

The latest one is that our internet went out one evening, and I called it in. They said they were getting a few reports, but they would take my name and let someone know. Internet came back on about 3 hours later. Then, three days later, a service guy comes to my door, and I tell him everything and that we had internet. I just got my bill, and they had a $60 missed appointment charge on there. Seriously? I tried calling, but of course, they aren't open before 7 am. Worst utility company I've ever dealt with in my 55 years of living!

Original review: July 24, 2018

Purchased Internet a couple months back and ended up having way less than the 400 megabits per second speed we were promised; called support and the tech found that the line was chewed up (which the initial installer did not check apparently) and had to be replaced. Afterwards we were happy with speed but received a bill that had an added service fee. I spoke with a customer service agent and said I thought that was unfair since we just moved in and wouldn't have purchased the service if there was going to be a fee and the installer was negligent in checking the existing infrastructure. The agent thought that sounded fair and told me not to pay the bill while they get to the bottom of it and that I can expect a call back in the next couple business days.

3 weeks later and I still hadn't heard back but now we're being assessed late fees. I called another agent and explained the situation, she acted sympathetic and said I would hear from someone and this time it would actually happen. Two business days later (today) I received a call from the rudest customer service agent I've ever spoken with. Mike explained that since the technician was sent out so long ago that the issue was considered closed and I would still be responsible for the additional fees including the late fees. I asked if I could speak with a manager to explain the situation better and he said no. My wife works from home so we need to have internet service at all time; we'll likely pay the bill and the fees but I am looking in to local attorneys to see if I have a case as Suddenlink's practices are clearly fraudulent.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I kid you not. I have had internet from WA to AK to VA. But this trumps them all. I have difficulty even writing this review due to my internet going in and out. I’m disabled. My roommate is disabled. We have Netflix, computer, and our phones to keep us busy. But Suddenlink causes us to not be able to watch TV. Not be able to use our phones. Not be able to go on our computers. This goes on for days. Yet we feel stuck. We live in a remote area. Well if you consider CDA Idaho and the surrounding area remote. I especially enjoy the fact that if I call during hours when their service is offline a message tells you that you have dialed a wrong number. They automatically turn their phones off if by chance you the customer might want to find out how long this outage might last. The prolonged outages I can take. It’s the constant every couple minutes of off and on I’m fed up with. I’m leaving and taking my friends with me. Not that Suddenlink gives a damn.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I was promised a "switch-up" $100 credit for contractual fee for previous provider to change to Suddenlink service for Internet and phone service. I fulfilled my end of the bargain for installation, auto-payment for monthly charges, waiting period for phone service and submitting the documentation of my fee to cancel Hughesnet Gen service. After three months, four or five lengthy phone calls up to 40 minutes each, and three e-mails, the credit was denied! I was told that HughesNet Gen was not on their list of reimbursable providers. I was deceived for the sale and will find another provider.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I've been a Suddenlink customer for at least 15 years. I bundle internet with a home phone. My complaint isn't with the service itself as it's fairly reliable. Their home webpage is the absolute worst of any business, ever. All the links to access your account details, billing, profile, etc., take you to your email page. To change your password you have to answer a security question, except it keeps rejecting my answer even though I know for a fact that it's correct. You'd have better luck contacting God Almighty than an actual live rep on the phone. If I had a choice, I'd switch providers in a heartbeat if I had a choice, but it's the only option in my area.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I received several ads in the mail, but when I went to their office, they wouldn't honor the advertised offer. Said that I had to be a recent customer of one of their competitors and the details were in the tiny, tiny print. = DECEPTIVE. If they can't get enough customers through HONEST practices, I don't want any business with them!

Original review: July 12, 2018

I am so pissed!!! I just received our internet bill from Suddenlink - it started at $45 a few years ago, and a few times a year it goes up and now it is now $84.85. Our internet does not stay on for more than a couple hours at a time at best - I didn't even get an advance notice of an increase - so when I received my bill I called them to find out why my bill has gone up yet the service has degenerated every month. You want to know the answer I received!!! "Because we have improved our service and it is a standard rate increase." I beg to differ! Even when they send a tech out it is only a temporary fix - so then she has the audacity to ask - "Is there anything else I can help you with?" You didn't help me in the first place!!! You just gave me a lame answer that you read off of a list of bogus answers. I am cancelling our service. I will not be held a prisoner to Suddenlink. The worst service ever anywhere!

Original review: July 11, 2018

Signed up for Internet first, Tech hooks me up on a Saturday, come home on Monday and it's off. I follow the (un-buried line) to a box in my backyard that feeds 6 houses, I see my line was unplugged. Neighbor says hers was unplugged on Saturday... You follow what happened here? On my 2nd call asking for a supervisor I am told they will call you in the next two hours, this was a 7pm. I called at 8pm and was told all the supervisors went home. Never got a call from a supervisor, came on a Thursday to plug me back in. So... I decided to go ahead and throw myself in the fire and ask for Cable to be installed about a week later (only outfit in town), have an appt for today between 1:00pm and 5:00pm. As the day progressing I check the "Where's My Tech" link and it grows to the end of 5:00pm, now at 4:29pm it says he will be here between the time of 8:45pm to 10:05pm... Nice!!!

Original review: July 10, 2018

We moved to Tyler few days ago and found that there was no other service for internet except Suddenlink available in our neighborhood. I have had real bad experience with Suddenlink many years ago in West Texas. So, I was very skeptical from the day one and it proved to be true. They have the worst customer service, worst internet service ever. They charge you for everything but still nothing works. Our internet has issues from day one and they had scheduled technicians who had failed to show up on given time and once they showed up, told us there was nothing they could do about it. One guy suggested to keep calling until they might give you credit. On top of it they charge me for those visits on my first bill. RIDICULOUS!

I am done calling the customer service as my last call was hung up by this lady named ''Wendy''. When I asked her for a supervisor, she said nobody could answer my questions but "If you still insist, someone will reach you in 48 hours." Are you kidding me??? Per customer service and their technicians, no one know what was wrong or how to fix. All they know how to incur hidden charges. I wish I had not moved to this neighborhood. Saddenlink is the most horrible company I have ever come across in my life.

Original review: July 9, 2018

Worst "service" ever. If I could give a negative rating I would. Don't do business with Suddenlink, they will only lie to you, add random charges to your bill, overdraft your account and you'll never see a dime back. Not to mention you won't even have the service you paid for! No one cares, I've talked to managers and the corporate office, all I can do is warn you not to fall for this TERRIBLE business. I can't wait until their customers see their scams and flee to better HONEST providers.

Original review: July 6, 2018

This company is the only internet service provider in my area and I think because of that they are taking advantage of their customers by over-charging them. My bill has increased 3 times in the last year. It has gotten to the point that I am looking into other alternatives. The first time was because someone else took over Suddenlink, the second time, no reason. And now the third time, reason is to upgrade the company to higher technology to be able to deliver faster internet, so they are trying to gather money to pay for it. I don't want faster internet. If I did, I would pay for faster service. I say let those that want faster internet pay for it. I like mine just the way it is. I told them if they went up on me again this year I was going to cancel my service. This is the most corrupt company I have ever seen. And they do NOT care anything about their loyal customers at all!

Original review: July 4, 2018

I have been a Suddenlink customer for 4 years and have never liked their service. I initially signed up and agreed on $50/mo for internet. They regularly raise my rate without any notice or reason by $10-20/mo. If I call in it takes a long time to speak with a live person and they often say something like, "Oh you were getting a discount before and now that promotion has ended. Call back in 8 days to see if we have any new discounts available." Then they try to sell me something. I've gone through this with them at least 6 times.

Once I changed my credit card on my account with someone on the phone and receive a letter in the mail two weeks later that it had been changed. My bill wasn't yet due so I assumed my automatic payment would still process that month and came to find out at the end of the month that it didn't. I called in and explained what had happened and had proof that I'd spoken with them and given them my current credit card information in plenty of time for the bill to be paid but they still charged me a $10 late fee and refused to waive it though I had never before been late on my payment. This process took 2 hours of phone calls and I still ended up having to pay the late fee. Simply terrible customer service.

Original review: July 3, 2018

First, they have a phone system designed to prevent contact with a live person. They do not want to talk to customers. They will promise you a rate but then they will raise it without warning. My rate went up $50 in the last month and after 20 minutes fighting their phone system I was able to get a live person and her only excuse was that a discount I had expired but claimed to not know what that discount was. These people have no problem lying about services and rates. My bill has a sports package but I don't watch sports so I asked what that was so I could cancel it. She claimed it was a government tax. Really? Then I asked what the family package was, she listed several channels and said there was no extra charge for it.

Do they think people are stupid?? Yes!! Service? I'll be watching a movie, the picture will freeze and then a pop up "searching for signal" and sometimes it does this enough you miss 3/4 of the movie, or the picture will pixelate like a dish signal in a storm, sound will cut out so you can't watch the program. These people have delusions of grandeur and will rip you off every chance they get. Don't trust them.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I have had to use Suddenlink Communications in my home town of Tarboro NC for 3 years since moving here. Last year I had intermittent disruption of internet and phone service. It took 3 trouble calls to fix the problem. Now I am experiencing the SAME problems, less than a year later. I had my first service call last week, and technician assured me he had "fixed the problem". I experience the same issue - loss of phone service and internet disruption - in less than 18 hours. It was necessary to wait over a weekend due to my work schedule and technician came back this morning. I have always been told that technician would give a notification call about 30 minutes prior to arriving, and this has been my experience in the past, this morning, however, there was no call and the technician appeared to be completely oblivious to this practice when I asked about it.

After a short time I was advised that the problem was "bad cables" which he had replaced and all should be fixed. Technician did verify that internet was up before he left. I do not know if he checked the phone service, and I did not check before he left - my bad. Less than 10 minutes after he left I went to make a phone call and had no service. The internet also came and went several times as I was contacting Suddenlink about the problem.

Because the technician had NOT called, I did not have contact number for the individual so I was forced to use the call center. I must say that people in the call center were polite, but, I feel it was complete waste of my time. I was told, repeatedly that they had NO WAY to contact dispatch directly, no supervisor was available to me to talk to, he was off on Monday, and I would just have to wait for a call back from dispatch - which could take up to 24 hours. They assured me repeatedly that they had put in an expedited trouble call, but that was ALL THEY COULD DO... I DO NOT BELIEVE THIS.

I worked in customer service for many many years, and I understand the company line, nothing can be done by the customer except go thru the call center, they cannot call anybody direct, I cannot call the local office, etc, etc. I DO NOT BELIEVE THIS, it is not true. I have given the company another 90 minutes (total 7 1/2 hours today) before I make another call. I will be looking for other service.

Original review: June 29, 2018

As I write this I am still on hold after 50 mins to change to a cheaper, slower plan. Suddenlink has raised my bill four times in the past year with no explanation. Unfortunately, they are the only internet provider available to me in my area so I'm stuck with them. Getting through to an actual agent on the phone was a nightmare - having to wade through a bot - then they transferred me twice and I'm still on hold for the 3rd agent. I'm sure they are doing it on purpose in hopes I will give up trying to change to a less expensive plan and hang up. I run an Airbnb at my home so need decently fast internet, but I'm fed up with the "200" plan as they are now charging me almost $1300 per year. Since the Airbnb competition has increased tremendously in my area so I'm getting fewer bookings despite five-star reviews and Superhost status, so I really couldn't care less if an occasional guest thinks the internet connection is too slow.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I am so upset right now. I have been a customer for 2 years and they cut off my service early. I went and paid at the store what they told me plus a little extra. Well it never came back on and after numerous calls I was told I had to pay 199.00 more for current month plus 40.00 reconnect fee and next month bill. I said NO I'm not. This has happened before. People warned me and I didn't listen. But it was all true.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I am a new customer, who just moved to West Virginia. I contacted Suddenlink for internet and cable TV. They told me that I would get all the channels that I asked for. In 15 minutes of installation, the TV went blank. I called them again after being on phone for more than one hour. The technician took a long time and could not fix it. I called them again and today (6/21/18) they fixed it and demonstrated all the channels of my interest, including the weather channel.

Again, in 10 minutes all the channels that they demonstrated on my TV were no longer available. I spent 90 minutes, second time this evening on phone with Customer Support. They are just not listening or trying to understand the problem. Absolute monopoly. I am very disappointed with their service, and I am at complete loss. I have spent three evenings, talking to the Customer Support in this week. I have been not able cook and eat my dinner on time, because of this horrible company. Is anyone listening?

Original review: June 19, 2018

When in the middle of researching, a disconnect happens which may last just a few seconds to several minutes. This is so frustrating. Two weeks ago, everything went out: phone, internet, and TV for more than several minutes. When I used my cell phone to contact Suddenlink, I had to give both the cell phone number (sorry, we don't recognize that number) then I gave my Suddenlink number. I had to repeat it 3 times when the phone zombie gave this message, "I'm sorry, I cannot recognize that number. When you know your phone number, call again," then disconnected. That was the rudest message I have ever received.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I just moved from CA to TX, and my apt complex only offered Suddenlink as an internet provider. In terms of retail service, these folks are terrible. But I will say that their business service has been very good for my employer. Here are the details: These guys are all about sales. The price they advertise is nowhere near what you pay, and if you use their online services to make your purchase, you won’t see the final price until AFTER you’ve already agreed to purchase.

In my case I was given $149.99 as a price for TV, HBO, and internet, but I’m actually paying $196.80. They give you a bunch of BS when you challenge them on their prices, but they won’t budge. Then there’s the service guys. Mine was very nice, but not very competent. He brought the wrong equipment, and then informed me that he couldn’t give me an Ethernet connection because their boxes don’t come with more than one Ethernet feed, and if you have TiVo, which I forgot to mention, I do, it used that one feed. The service guy told me they do that so people opt out to use the WiFi box which has multiple feeds, but also costs an additional $10 rental fee per month.

So now I’m paying $200 per month for normal TV, TiVo, and 5 HBO channels, with no Ethernet connection for my computers. Of course, any tech savvy reader knows there are some things I could do about it on my own, but I’m not going to publicly talk about that. The summary is Suddenlink retail will charge you more money than quoted, and their service is sub par at best.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Our local Suddenlink office does not answer their phone personally. Have to leave a voicemail. They are not returning the calls. We can not get in touch with a techie at any time unless we go to the local office. There is no way to talk with a tech on a weekend. Our wifi has been off for 3 days at a time. And the bill continues to go up. We're done with this company!

Original review: June 16, 2018

TV service out Tue am. 3 1/2 days till tech service. Thur pm tech fixes problem. 3 hrs TV out again. I drive to local Suddenlink Office. They say another tech will be out today. 6 pm no tech shows. Now I call back & they say it will be June 20th before another tech can be there. This will be 8 days with no service. This is just not acceptable. Since Altice has taken over the cable service for our town, the service is not customer friendly. It is horrible service. I will be going back to satellite company as long as Altice is in charge of the cable service.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Appointment was Friday between 8-12. Waited until 12:30 then left after calling for ETA and was told between 9-10. Supposedly he showed up at 4:51 but I was home and nobody came by. Never received a call saying he was there or on his way. Have talked to 11 different people between Friday and now (Tuesday). Only 1 person has been helpful. He told me the people before who have helped me haven’t done anything they said they would with my account. Everyone who said they’d call me back never did except this one person. One guy even hung up on me. Nobody seems to want to help or just says ‘we'll send an e-mail to dispatch and follow up’ but they never follow up. Terrible impression given to me as a new customer. Terrible customer service. They have me set up for an appointment tonight at 5:20 and if they do not show, I will be cancelling my services and going elsewhere.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I waited 4 hours and the tech never came. I even explained to the appointment person what I needed done and that I would be there. I called to say that the tech never came. They charged me $60 for a missed appointment. I pay for a maintenance plan that includes techs coming out for free. I am considering changing from Suddenlink on Monday morning. They can make a lot of money making appointments and the tech never shows up and charging for nothing!

I tried to go online to lodge a complaint and called as well. The person whom I finally got on the phone said he would transfer me to the right place. The message said that no one was available and it was after hours. I spent 20 minutes for nothing. There is no place on the website to lodge a complaint. The only sure way to talk to anyone is to drive to their office (during limited business hours) and wait in line for an agent. They are operating like businesses did in the early nineties! So sad for a technology related business! Need to move on...

Original review: June 9, 2018

If you have the expectation that your needs will be met by a customer service representative do not go any further with this company. They do not know the definition nor the concept of customer service. They are great at taking your money and that is about the end of it. If I did not live in an area where only they can provide decent Internet speeds, I would leave them behind altogether. If you have an option, do not ask these people for service.

I discontinued my service with them and turned in their equipment as instructed, only to learn that until they "have time" to come out and disconnect my service, I still have to pay. Never mind that without their equipment I could not access their services and did not attempt to. Also, if you sign up for autopay, as I did over a year ago, do not expect to be able to go to their website and change that option. I had to call them and sit on hold waiting for someone to change that setting. If you ask to speak to a supervisor, be prepared to stay on hold indefinitely until they "find" someone to take your call. Taken altogether, this is a lousy excuse for service by any definition.

Suddenlink Company Information

www.suddenlink.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business