3.6/5 (1101 ratings)

About Suddenlink

Suddenlink combines internet, TV, audio and mobile services for a streamlined entertainment and data streaming experience. Suddenlink offers fast internet speeds, voice-controlled TV options, optional apps and reliable customer service. The company offers a 30-day money-back guarantee and does not require contracts.

Pros

• Plans start at $35 a month
  • Easy-to-use central platform
  • Price for life options on some plans

Cons

• Not available in all areas
  • Difficult to cancel

Bottom Line

Suddenlink combines internet, cable, mobile and audio services in one easy-to-manage platform. Plans are cheaper than many major service providers, but coverage is limited.

Top Suddenlink Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Everyone is very nice in person or on the phone. They answer questions, seem happy with their jobs, always make sure I'm taken care of before I get off the phone or leave the offi...

Verified

I have been with Suddenlink about a year and a half. Their technical performance has been excellent. I have appointment with their customer service representatives online, over th...

How does Suddenlink internet work?

Suddenlink internet plans start at $35 a month and have no annual contracts. Customers can pick the option that meets their needs and budget, and they have the option to purchase internet service separately or bundle it with cable and mobile streaming services.

Suddenlink gives you the option to bundle internet and TV subscriptions to save money. Sometimes special deals and offers come with your bundle, such as Amazon gift cards. Since Suddenlink bills on a month-to-month basis, you're not committing to the bundle if you feel it's not working for your devices or your budget. It is easy to make changes and modifications to your plan.

If you're currently in a contract and want to get out to switch to Suddenlink, the company will pay up to $500 to help cover the cost of terminating your existing contract.

Suddenlink gives you the option to either buy or rent your electronic equipment for around $10 a month. Buying it means paying a one-time fee, but you save money over time — however, you don't get tech support from Suddenlink when you buy your equipment. If you rent, you pay more over time, but the monthly costs are low.

Suddenlink mobile service

Along with internet and TV options, Suddenlink offers mobile services through its parent company, Altice USA. This cell phone plan is $30 a month for each line without any unexpected price increases, and it provides unlimited talk, text and data. It offers 99% nationwide coverage, and you can cancel at any time.

Suddenlink internet prices

Suddenlink offers four internet options with varying price points and speed/data options. Plans and price points may vary based on where you live.

Internet planCost
Internet 100$34.99 a month
Internet 300$44.99 a month
Internet 400$54.99 a month
Internet 1 Gig$74.99 a month

Suddenlink doesn’t have any contracts or data caps. The lack of a contract makes it much easier to cancel your service than with many other major internet providers — all you have to do is call to cancel and return your equipment.

Other Suddenlink costs to consider

Standard installation is free when you sign up online or $49 otherwise. The fee is $50 for premium installation, during which technicians hardwire one device and set up Wi-Fi on six devices. There is also a $3.50 one-time network enhancement fee.

If you cancel your Suddenlink internet service, you must return your equipment or pay for it. If you choose to keep it, you'll owe $125 for the modem and between $75 and $150 for the wireless router.

Suddenlink FAQ

How much is Suddenlink internet per month?
Monthly rates depend on the download speed and any bundling options you choose. On average, monthly rates range between $35 to $75 a month.
Is Netflix free with Suddenlink?
No. Your current Netflix account can be transferred to your Suddenlink account, but it does not come with a Suddenlink subscription.
How can I pay my Suddenlink bill?
There are many ways to pay your bill. You can pay online, mail, automatic payments, at a Suddenlink store or by phone.
Can I cancel my Suddenlink service online?
No. You need to call customer service to cancel your plan.
Who owns Suddenlink?
Altice USA owns Suddenlink.

Suddenlink Reviews

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Jan. 16, 2022

They just suck! Unfortunately the best (read ONLY) option in the area. Signing up with them is like signing up to run a marathon after you put the time training to run the marathon and then finding out after you run the first mile of the race that you have to add a 5 lb weight to your ankles every mile. YOU WILL NOT GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. I have a 100mbps connection... Speedtest says under 10 on a regular basis. Update December 2021 - January 2022: NO. THEY ARE NOT AWESOME TO WORK WITH!

- Nobody in customer service can articulate a sentence in English.
- Website says no outages, Phone says outage.
- Suddenlink employee cut the cable to my house... 3 weeks have passed... still not fixed, despite trucks being spotted in my neighborhood and 2 canceled appointments for "safety" on sunny clear days?
- They overcharge for services they haven't provided.
- They won't allow existing customers to change to lower priced plans that provide faster speeds.
- Their technicians will tell you they don't have the infrastructure to support the plans they sell.
- Despite multiple outages for more than a week at a time, they refuse to issue credit...

- They want me to pay $60 for an "appointment" scheduled 2 weeks out which is due to problems that they are responsible for... **?

MY BILL IS OVER $200 a month consistently with overage charges despite being out of town for several months! SO ** CROOKED! There are supposed to be laws to protect consumers against such monopolized practices... but they are literally the only company in the area which offers this service. I was one of their first highspeed customers... I have been a customer for over a decade. I can say there has been ZERO improvement. In fact it has gotten worse. Suddenlink definitely gets my vote for WORST COMPANY IN NORTH AMERICA!

Tip for consumers: DON'T IF YOU HAVE A CHOICE. Suddenlink operates as a monopoly unfortunately. And the gooberment is poor at enforcing abuse of this. WHAT DOES IT TAKE FOR YOU TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS??? Products used: 100 mbps High Speed Internet. References to other complaints - BBB rating = f **. 1 star rating by hundreds of google reviewers **. 1 star rating by hundreds of Sitejabber reviewers **. 1 star rating by hundreds of Yelp reviewers in just about any city **.

Suddenlink response

Hello Jeff. Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear you are not happy with the service and we can review this for you. Please feel free to reach out to us at BrandReviews@AlticeUSA.com

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

Our tech was supposed to come Sunday between 5 and 8 PM. We needed the internet for our jobs the next day. I spent 2 hours chatting online and we made 4 calls to customer service. The tech never made it out, so we don't have internet set up for our jobs. Suddenlink rescheduled for today but I don't know whether to believe they'll be reliable and make it out or not. Their chat is slow, and one of their phone representatives was very rude.

Suddenlink response

Hi Ben. Thank you for your feedback. I'm terribly sorry for the bad experience. That's definitely not what we want for our subscribers, please feel free to reach out to us at BrandReviews@AlticeUSA.com

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

My family's had internet service through this company and its predecessor, Charter Communications since 1998. After renting an apartment of my own, I quickly exceeded the data limit (250 GB) and was offered a special promotional deal, which was a great value. When the deal ended (with no notice) the cost of my Internet service more than doubled (with no notice). The upgrade was meant to address data limit surcharges (of which I was also not notified). After repeated contact, the most accommodation they were willing to make (for a customer of 9 years) was a $15/mo. reduction. In summation: Service is good. Price starts off good. Customer service is terrible.

Suddenlink response

Hi, Andrew. Thank you for your feedback. I apologize for the poor experience with our customer service team, please feel free to reach out to us at BrandReviews@AlticeUSA.com. We can review the account for you.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2021

There are good internet providers, there are bad ones and then there’s Suddenlink. They are truly in the league of their own. We have moved to a new home October last year. It’s a new construction and is out of the Suddenlink coverage. When I called them to disconnect the service at our old place, they asked if I wanted to transfer it to a new one. I agreed and submitted a request for cost-to-build (basically paying to get connected to a nearby Suddenlink fiber line that runs in neighboring community close to our home.

A couple of months passed. Every time I called, they would transfer to a different department, yet nobody seemed to know if or when I would have my estimate. I spoke with customer care, residential sales, engineering dept, etc. Nothing. In February upon one of my follow-ups I was advised to try to run through business department. I have a home-based business, so I said sure, that’s fine, I just want the service. A guy from business department (Stephen), called and spend thirty minutes telling me how great he was at his job and how many happy customers they had. He seemed unfazed when I repeatedly told him that I was out of coverage and needed my own line built in order to get connected. No worries, he said, we’ll get the tech out asap and get you going.

A technician came out a few days later, looked around and said “You don’t have the line, do you? Why would they send me here?” The best part came a few weeks later. Still hoping to receive a follow-up/cost-to-build estimate, I got a piece of mail from Suddenlink. It contained a two-month bill for business internet service package. The service they couldn’t provide in the first place. It’s now December 2021, and it’s been over a year since I submitted my first request. They are still “working on it.” I understand that right now Suddenlink has pretty much a monopoly on high-speed internet in Tyler, Lindale and other parts of east TX. However, I hope the time will come when an actually decent company/ies will take over Suddenlink’s market. If you can help it at all-steer clear from Suddenlink. Period.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

I've called Suddenlink several times in the 1 month that I've had their service.(or lack thereof). The customer service representatives are grossly incompetent, management is non-existent, and the service is atrocious! I've asked to cancel my service and they seem to fall prey to selective amnesia when it comes to that. In essence, they hang up on you. In all of this, they bill in advance. I cannot believe that a more reparable ISP won't service the same areas that these clowns do. I have moved out of 2 cities trying to relieve myself of them, but they're always the only company servicing these areas, therefore, they don't care about the level of service they give because there is no competitors. The nicest thing I can say about them is: I HATE THEM!!!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

I "had" Suddenlink for well over 10 years. Their cost go up without any enhancements or prorations after they have been down. When you go complain about their rates they will offer you a better deal if you stay. (They should just not increase their rates.) After I cut off my Internet and telephone service, my cable cost did not go down by much. I was told this was due to the bundle discount I had before dropping two of their services. I intend to drop the cable service soon and finally be rid of Suddenlink. I gave it a one star because I couldn't go lower!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

Very disappointed with Suddenlink. Billing keeps going up with no enhancement to my service only emails saying they're in the area and working to improve service. Haven't seen any of that. Sad part is they are the only high speed carrier in my town.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2021

Suddenlink customer service is the worst of any company that I have ever worked with. If you have issues, it is almost impossible to reach a human being. The service is inconsistent and you won't get any empathy from them. Slow down to 0 for wifi when paying for 400 mbps. I had 3 of their techs come for the same problem over 10 days and only gave me $20 compensation.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2021

Start with this services nothing working from get go. They claimed the speed is super fast but worse than any other company. Overcharging and defraud tactics. I would never recommend anyone to use this service. Their customer service worst than anyone. Charge my credit card and not credit toward the bill.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

I live in Tyler Texas so it is the only available provider. The wifi doesn't even reach the backroom even though we live on one floor. I had to buy an extender and the wifi still cuts out all the time even though we pay for the most expensive plan.

Suddenlink Company Information