Suddenlink

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I can't stay connected to the internet for more than 15 minutes at a time before I have to go unplug the box and have it reset itself. The internet they provide is horrible and inconsistent. If you have any other option I would go with them. Suddenlink is a horrible company and should be run out of business. I feel like they are basically stealing from me.

I started out at $28 for internet only, then that price went up to $37.50. Then it went up again to $47.50 and then I was notified I was hitting Data caps? I think they just added data limits because in the years before I never had anything like that. So I had to upgrade my plan to $51. Then I hit Data limits again!!! And they wanted me to upgrade again!! Enough is Enough! I switched to Frontier instead and have a lower bill with no data limits. THEN I cancelled with Frontier... and once again they screwed me! I cancelled on the 6th, and they told me since the month had started, I had to pay the entire month! So instead of Prorating me for 6 days in the month, they are charging me another $51 even though I am no longer using them! NEVER USE SUDDENLINK! They are the worst!!!

Suddenlink customer service sucks & their practices are shady. Their website tries to trick you into paperless billing, which happened to me. I had no idea, which caused me to miss a payment. I got an email stating my service could be interrupted, which prompted me to go to the website and look at my account. I was shocked to see I was set up for paperless billing (which I NEVER choose for any of my bills). I immediately searched for a way to turn it off. Then I paid my past-due bill online.

Then I called Suddenlink to share my concern about it. During the call, the agent told me that it's easy to 'accidentally select the paperless button because it looks like you have to check that button to go to the next step when you set up your online account'. HELLO? Why do that to customers? Oh, I know why, so you can pull a slimy move to get a $10 late fee from lots of customers like me. I wonder how many thousands they've cheated out of people this way.

I asked to have the late fee reversed since I did NOT know I'd been switched to paperless billing and normally I am always on-time with my payments. The rep couldn't do it. I waited about 20 min for a supervisor who could care less about customer satisfaction. He also couldn't help me and offered zero concern when I told him that it would cost them a customer if they cannot make it right. He simply said, 'Ok. Is there anything else I can do for you?' I hung up. Now I will give Suddenlink bad reviews everywhere, because they are a company who tricks people into FEES and provides zero customer service. Then I will find a different company for my internet needs.

Last year when I wanted to put our account on seasonal hold Suddenlink's procedure allowed the customer to do it over chat. It was easy, simple and fast. This year they changed it to where the customer has to call in to do it. The problem is that there is no prompt to get to the right department so I have to talk to someone who then transfers me to someone who then transfers me to someone else etc for 4 to 7 times before I finally get ahold of the right person. After I put our account on seasonal hold I asked the person how to get to his department directly. Is there an extension number or what. He said there is no easy way. I just have to go through all the transfers until I get to them. By the time I am done I want to pull my hair out. I wish I could just do on chat again. Not only would it make a customer happy it would free up 4 to 7 people from wasting their time transferring a customer around the company.

I use Suddenlink because it is the only ISP in the area that isn't satellite based. That said, if there were any other options I would have switched years ago. Unclear fees and billing. They bill a month ahead of the actual service, charge for some visits and not others ($50) and never inform you beforehand if the visit will be free or charged. They charge a late fee of $10 (a late fee for a service they've yet to provide, mind you, due to their magazine-like billing schedule). Late fees are fine per se, but charging someone a late fee for a service you've yet to provide (30 days early)? I think it's just a way to slightly increase revenue without having to offer the consumer any real benefits or service.

Poor customer service. They do not explain fees in a satisfactory manner, nor do they make the consumer aware of new possible fees that may arise due to the conversation (and yes, talking to them can be costly if you aren't careful). Poor Follow Up/Disorganized Call Center. I've spoken to customer service before, been assured they would follow up, and then never heard back from them. When I called to follow up (two weeks later) the representative said there was no record and the call never happened. Not apology or an "oh, our system screwed up, sorry about that", or "that's weird, how did that happen?" Nope. Call never happened. I never sat around for an hour one Thursday afternoon talking and waiting.

Technicians are not very useful. I've never had a technician offer service beyond what a digital-native (30-somethings and under) could do for themselves. Maybe if you hate computers, didn't grow up with them, and don't know how to reboot a modem or put a new connector on the end of a wire it would be worth the cost, however, if you're young, it's just a waste of time and money. You can troubleshoot just as well as them.

Overall. More so than can be merited by my complaints, I just don't like Suddenlink. It's something about employee interactions, corporate culture, billing policies, all the little things that make Suddenlink Suddenlink, that when put together become repulsive. Whereas when viewed in parts it's just annoying and consumer unfriendly, it's as a whole that I realize how unsavory Suddenlink is and how much I wish I could do business with any other company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suddenlink?

When my Internet was originally set up, the technician did not bother to check the connection in any part of the house other than the computer in the room where the modem was placed. We have two computers in the back part of the house and began experiencing terrible speed and signal strength on those two computers shortly after the installation. Upgrading to a faster speed did not solve the problem. Finally after several months, the connection got so bad that the computers were dropping the wi-fi signal constantly and when connected became very slow.

Finally I called the tech department at Suddenlink and a technician was sent out. He told me that the modem was placed in a very poor location and should be moved. He also indicated that we should not have to pay an extra fee for having it relocated since we were experiencing such severe issues. He said I would need to call Suddenlink again and tell them what he told me and that the modem needed to be relocated. It was late in the evening, so I called the next morning.

Another technician came to the house and I reported what the other tech had said. He confirmed that we were indeed having connection issues in that part of the house and agreed that moving the modem should solve the problem. No wires had to be run, since we already had a coax plug in on of the rooms, so he simply had to move the modem into that room. He checked everything out and all was working very well.

The next month, our bill had a $50 charge on it. I called the billing department and was told that the charge should not be on my bill and to deduct it, which I did. I just received my latest bill and it shows part of the last bill as being unpaid along with a $10 late fee. When I called the billing department I was told that moving the modem was not covered under my line insurance that we pay for every month and that the $50 fee could not be removed. I fully explained my whole story, including the fact that the modem had not been installed and tested properly to begin with and what the technician had told me about changing its placement.

The person I talked with still insisted that the $50 charge would still stand and could not be removed. I asked to speak to his supervisor, which I did, but was given the same runaround. She did agree to credit my account for the $10 late fee since I had been told by their office to deduct the $50 from my bill. Nevertheless, I am very angry that we are having to pay the $50 charge when the installation was not properly done to begin with. It was certainly Suddenlink's fault that we were not getting a decent signal to our other computers, when all that was needed was to check and make sure that the signal was getting to the rest of the house to begin with. As far as I am concerned, Suddenlink's customer service is severely lacking, and we should not have to foot the bill for their poor installation.

Was having internet connection problems for over year, talked to numerous techs by phone. Suddenlink finally sent out a tech that spend about 5 min in the house, played with some wires and deemed it fixed. I asked him to check to see if it fixed problem. He refused and left. Problem continued. My cc was charged $50 for a 1hr visit that lasted 5 min and solved nothing. Had to deal with many unhelpful people at Suddenlink that said they "deemed" it a valued charge and SL has a policy of never refunding. Finally got a tech out that spent a full hour. He said the box SL supplied was no good and the original SL installer made a mess of the wires inside the house and on the outside. He said I was fortunate to get him (and I agree) because he has to spend a lot of time fixing what other techs mess up, that so many don't know what they are doing.

So I had to pay $50 for the first tech who refused to do his job, probably because he wasn't qualified. This is an unethical practice and SL should care enough about customer goodwill and reverse the charge. But since we have no other internet choice, they can be as dishonest as they want. At least I can change my TV provider.

I called Suddenlink 3 times with billing questions and arrangements. The first call put me on hold for the 25 minutes so I had to hang up because I had a previous appointment. I called back and the lady who answered after a 15 min wait could not help me. I called a third time and asked to speak with a collections rep and stayed on hold for 50 MINUTES!!! If I would of had other internet providers I would have hung up and gone elsewhere. I turned off my cable at the beginning of the pay period and Suddenlink charged me a full month and said they could not prorate our usage so they charged me the full month when we didn't even have service cable with them. They charge random fees after fees and their internet is slow!! I have the biggest internet amount but it doesn't seem better than the smaller one we previously had. Very disappointed with this company and looking for services elsewhere!!

They just gave me the run around on some issues we had with bill pay. My parents were out of the country and had my brother house sit. The bill never came in and he didn't know he had to pay. When they got back, they noticed the bill hasn't been paid. Without hesitation they paid online through their bill pay service. The internet was still shut off and I called them to pay another payment via phone. Suddenlink said they would charge 62.25 on my card and waive the late fee to get my parents service back on track, but they charged an extra $20 on top without my consent.

I called a few days later to resolve but they gave me the run around. One lady, Corinth, was helpful but noticed strange billing additions/queues and she said "things didn't add up". She transferred me to another associate that told me another story about how I would have to show up physically to dispute these charges. Service is not what it seems here. They are not honest. They stole my money and I give them that. They won, but I'm having my parents switch to Spectrum now. And I will continue to deter my friends, family and people I meet away from Suddenlink.

Whenever I have problems it is solved very quick with the help of standby operators who patiently take out the time to help me. Listening skills are a definite A. I feel that they genuinely care to help me solve my problem. Installation was quick and easy. I received really helpful directions which was very clear in how to setup. The installation went very well without a trace of mistakes. Speed is very fast. My devices no longer freeze due to slow connection. I feel comfortable at the rate they work now thanks to very good connection. This service provider is very reliable. Had very little problems with it. The connectivity withstands and is up to par. It even stands strong through thunderstorms.

Customer service often takes a long time. Representatives are not available or cannot help you with your problem. Internet does not work throughout our entire house like it should and they still cannot fix it. Installation process was fine. Had to schedule an appointment and they came to install on time. They were here for a while tho. But they did a good job. Not happy with our internet speed. It is also pretty unreliable. It does not work throughout our entire house like it should. Would not recommend their internet service to anyone that has other options. Internet is not reliable at all times. Often is slow or stops working. Suddenlink has never been able to fix it. It also doesn't work throughout our entire house like it should be.

I've had contact with customer service several times, and for the most part, all of the representatives are very helpful. You do get the occasional one that's just there for a paycheck and isn't helpful at all. I was very happy with the installation process. The tech was very professional and knew exactly what he was doing. He took the time needed to make sure everything was working and to answer any questions I had. For the most part I am happy with the speed. It's definitely much quicker than my last provider, but there are yes when it seems slow down. It usually only slows down though during "high traffic" hours. Even then, it's generally still fast. Since switching, I've had a couple of outages. All of the times except for one was restored when they said it would be. I've never had an outage during a storm though, unlike my last provider.

Everyone is very nice in person or on the phone. They answer questions, seem happy with their jobs, always make sure I'm taken care of before I get off the phone or leave the office. Very nice, cordial, respectful. Anytime we've had someone come to the house they're always very nice and professional. Haven't seen another company treat their customers with such dignity and respect. We've had AT&T before and it will always drop service, be slow or lose signal. Not with Suddenlink, we have never had a problem at all and the speed is incredible. I can't do my work on my phone, my husband can work on his computer and we can stream movies at the same time and never have glitches that pause or slow down the movie or our work.

The representatives are very helpful and courteous. They work very hard to try to solve any issues that you may have and are polite. I would definitely recommend them to anyone. The installation was very quick and easy. They came while I was at work but my spouse said they did an excellent job and took the time to answer all his questions. The speed of my internet is outstanding. I do occasionally have lagging or buffering on sites but normally only during bad weather. Otherwise the service is quick. The reliability of the service is great. I know it is going to work as it's supposed to without any performance problems. If there's ever any problems customer service is always willing to help.

I have never really used customer service so I'm not really sure but I would assume it would be really good. We haven't had any problems in the past and hopefully we won't have any in the future. They showed up when they were supposed to. It was really fast and easy. No complaints. The technician asked if we needed anything and he was very knowledgeable. We got the fastest internet connection package because my husband is a gamer and it's great. He can play all of his games without any lag so he's really satisfied with it. Haven't had any real problems with it. Sometimes it goes but later on it'll be back and running within an hour or so and that's happened only a couple of times and we've had it for 5 years.

Suddenlink Company Profile