Find a Health Insurance partner

Help me decide

3.2/5 (254 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About WellCare

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

WellCare Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WellCare?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about WellCare?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

This is my first year with them. I'm on Medicare, and WellCare is my Part D insurance. It's reasonably priced, and has paid good share of my insurance (so far, my $20 monthly insurance charge has saved me more than $20 out-of-pocket charge for prescriptions).

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

Have supplemental insurance as well. Between the two, have never had a problem with getting the things I need, i.e., prescriptions filled, doctor visits, surgery, etc. and paid for. One less thing for me to worry about. They also keep you up to date on any changes to their policy, well ahead of time, so you're not scrambling last minute to make any adjustments.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

Remarkable. I have had some unusual ailments, and WellCare has come thru like a champ. As a Medicare participant, WellCare fills the gap wonderfully from prescription drugs to chiropractic to major medical and more. I highly recommend to anyone who is seeking REAL HEALTH CARE COVERAGE.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

I have my Rx coverage through Wellcare. They have always been prompt about resolving any problem I have. I can always get someone on the phone and they appear to be from the United States which is a real plus for me.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

Signed up with Wellcare in Dec of 2019 for 2020 coverage. I do not take any prescription medications so I am not able to relate any details about that aspect of their coverage. I did use their OTC benefits and I found the items offered in their catalog to be unsatisfactory. I ordered the adult incontinence underwear. I found it to be inferior to Walmart assurance incontinence underwear. I was dissatisfied with lack of information about the medications. I filed grievances online and received permission to purchase my OTC items and submit copies of the receipts for reimbursement.

I was able to fully utilize the OTC benefit for 2020. I am currently attempting to obtain permission to do the same for my 2021 coverage. I find phone conversations regarding insurance problems to be most distressing so I communicate through grievances and faxed complaints. So far I mostly satisfied with this company. I received a reduction of my Medicare part B premium. I received a Fitbit inspire from silver sneakers. I received 60 dollars from healthy rewards. I received 480 dollars in OTC benefits. I had one visit to the primary care physician. I am currently distressed over the 2021 OTC products in the Wellcare catalog and praying I will be able to obtain my OTC items elsewhere and obtain reimbursement.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

I became eligible for Medicare August 1, 2021 and chose Wellcare and a PCP from the list they gave me. Unfortunately, I had an emergency (sudden swelling of face w/ breathing issues) and was referred by urgent care to er. My blood pressure was 192/105. I was prescribed a hypertensive med along with antibiotics and an antihistamine. I was instructed to call my PCP immediately...which I did the first available day following the er visit.

I was told that Dr wasn't accepting new patients (although Wellcare signed me up with them just weeks prior). I was told to find a Dr and change my PCP. I complied. Then I was told it wouldn't take effect until next month and to schedule my appointment after that. I'm wondering if that Dr will be taking new patients next month when I'm eligible...and in the meantime should I just hope I don't have a stroke? This is not healthcare insurance. This is a waiting list for possible healthcare insurance. Will I still be alive after the waiting period? Will I have to experience a new waiting period if this Dr is not taking new patients after the first How many waiting periods before my next premium? Does it matter? Feels like bait and switch...but maybe that's the point.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

Do NOT subscribe to this plan. I had great health insurance but I thought this would be pay the difference. I now pay the additional cost for this premium plus more for my prescriptions and cost of some of my medications have been declined. Did not pay for prescribed medications, such as needed for bronchitis as well as other conditions new onset of TMJ. Now my primary health benefits does not pay anything because of WellCare. I definitely will be leaving Wellcare in Open Season in October 2021. Again Do NOT subscribe to this plan. It has been a big mistake.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

I used the website. Received a drug I had previously declined because of cost. Now have a $550 dollar prescription I did not order, cannot take, and do not want. Customer service says “too bad” because I used the website.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

When I went to sign up in May for Medicare, I verified with agent that both my dentists were covered under Wellcare. I went to call to make an appointment for teeth cleaning but Dentist office said they didn't except Wellcare. So I called Wellcare again to verify and they said they were not on their Dentist list. So I was lied to get me to sign up.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

Well, you get what you pay for, I guess. Signed on with them for the payback feature as I needed the money. However, they are never open at all on weekends, the provider database if very disappointing and very skimpy on choices. I called to see if my once yearly diabetic eye exam was covered, some girl answered with a dog barking loudly in the background. I'm an RN with many years experience in case management which deals with patients' insurance. I had to explain what kind of eye exam I was needing as she was clueless, didn't know the difference between an optometrist and and ophthalmologist. She said it was covered, finally, but now I am getting a bill and have been on hold over 45 minutes while they research. I will get away from this company as soon as I can.

WellCare Company Information