1.80/5
Based on 59 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

59 WellCare Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

We have tried to cancel this insurance three times and to no avail. We signed up for it after being told that it would save us a bit and immediately got suspicious and told them we were not interested. We have had to call back three times, wait on hold for a long time and told each time they would call us back to disenroll us. Of course we never got a call back. Today our packet came from them along with a letter stating that the premium would be taken out of our SS check. We had never given them permission to do this.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

If you are thinking of signing up for WellCare Part D... stop and run away FAST!! Their customer service is the WORST I have ever experienced with any organization. The owners of the company should be totally ashamed of their outsourcing their most important customer service call center to the far east. You simply cannot understand anyone you talk to and I had a problem with double paying my premium with social security deduction and separate payments to WellCare since they told me it could take months for the premium to come out of my check. I did not realize it was already coming out of check and was still paying them.

After hours and hours of talking with these people overseas and being lied to over and over, they told me they could not process any refund and it was up to me to deal with social security. If you want your blood pressure to go thru the roof and be totally and completely frustrated go and sign up. I CANNOT wait until open enrollment in October next year to get the hell out of this excuse of a company!!!

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I've loved my WellCare Medicare Advantage program...until I had to start dealing with customer service. Today only, I've had 4 representatives try to send me to billing, only to send me to customer service again. I finally got through to billing and started to explain my problem only to discover they were gone at the end of my explanation. This is only a fraction of the problems I've had with them and I'm too frustrated to go through all of it again. I WARN YOU: do not do business with this hot mess of a company.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Medicare PDP signup - I have spent at least 2 hours trying to sign up. First tried online, it wouldn’t let me submit the completed form so I decided to call to see if they could explain. Instead of offering an explanation they offered to help complete the form and submit it. I agreed. They asked me all of the same questions I had answered in the online form. They then transferred to another department to complete the process and asked the same questions. They said they would have to call me back with the confirmation. I explained I do not answer calls from unknown callers (too many SPAM calls). They explained after 3rd callback they would leave a message. They left message saying they would callback “yesterday”. I called back using the number on caller ID 3 times and each time the call dropped. I then called the main number. When I got through I explained my situation. The person I was talking with said they needed to verify my identity, I agreed.

They then proceeded to ask all of the same questions on the original call. At this point I asked to speak to a manager. I explained I wanted to withdraw my application. They promised to callback within 1 hour. I am waiting. Notes: Comments from the people I talked with both days said there was a computer problem. How can they service current customers when it takes several days to resolve a computer problem? It was extremely difficult to understand several of the people I was talking with. I do not recommend doing business with this company. I would NOT recommend doing business with this company.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

Impossible customer service. I called to enroll. They transferred me 4 times. Each person asked for the same info. After 90 minutes I asked for an agent to come to my house. They gave me an appointment, I spoke with the agent Carlos, he never showed up and did not respond to calls or texts. They waste your time and appear to not want to enroll anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WellCare?

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Been trying to get some needed parts for a wheelchair and bed as well as some help but you don't get nothing but a hard time from the ** and now my supplies are getting later and later each month due to them holding old information and phone numbers that I haven't had for years with addresses I never lived at and they have been corrected so many times it's pathetic and this will be a run on sentence since they are run ons about coverage and forget OTA cause they say they never even got the order when you have the confirmation number and hang up on you or get a person who say ** if they had a mouth full from overseas or some illegal immigrant that needs to ent back where they belong with an anchor around their neck so they don't swim back again and Don't Care needs to be shut down or else people get together and sue their underwear off them so they can feel the pain of what it's like to be without!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

The WellCare rep comes to my home tells me I can get this get that. She even found me Dr. Put the App. On my Phone all kinds of fast talk. I call to make the Appt. They say, "We are not accepting any new patients," and I say, "Well the lady signed me up. Told me you were." WellCare sent me my card with the Dr. name as my primary physician. I went to that Dr. At which time she told me she was not taking anyone with Medicare or WellCare. Now this Dr. was In their provider book. I have their provider book. Either they quit taking the WellCare or no Medicare pts. Liars. l called Medicare to complain. They did not care and just simply said I can cancel for you. No other options. I want this company to stop ripping off Medicare.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I flossed out a filling that became extremely painful. I first tried the VA emergency room. They wanted $325.00 up front just to put me in a chair. I am a veteran but could not afford their services. I called around locally at several private dental offices but could not get an emergency appointment. Then I remembered my WellCare coverage. I called my assigned PCP under their plan and got an appointment for 6:30 that evening. The DDS prescribed a round of antibiotics and put in a temp filling and prescribed meds that eased the pain. A week later she pulled the tooth. The entire process was friendly and easy and the dentist was the best. Great experience, certainly the best dental appointment I can recall.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I went to Buckner vision to take my RX for my glasses, the personnel was very rude and unprofessional. I called your office to complain and Georgia, Angel, Alecia, all hung up and though they had my number no called me back, I spoke to Bria she was very knowledgeable and said she would call the office and let them know I would be returning the glasses cause when I got the RX was off and they needed to fix it. I called 9/10/18 to check on my glasses and the person was so rude said they were not ready and hung up.

I HAD TO GO TODAY AND PAY OUT OF POCKET $168.95, Because my insurance people are too rude to take care of me. I told Aisa that I would not go back for those glasses because they give me a lot of grief. I filed a grievance and will be getting my $29.00 and you WellCare will get your insurance money back. It is not fair to me or anyone in position to have to through this when we are paying our premium. I can not afford that amount but I can not afford to be without glasses. This is an injustice. I hope to hear from you. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

My 2 year old had a trip scheduled a week in advance and only 3 days in advance are required. Her appointment was an hour away. I begin to follow up on this trip Monday, Wednesday and Thursday morning because no one had been assigned to the trip. Thursday was the day of her appointment at 11 am and after calling in twice that morning around 8 am. Transportation calls at 10:00 am to say is it too late for me to go to a 11 am appointment. I missed the appointment. No one tried to help me on Monday or Wednesday and definitely not Thursday. They had 7 days to find a ride but intentionally waited to a hour to my appointment knowing the appointment was a hour away.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Yes WellCare has a healthy reward program and you get reward for taking care of your health. And I had did all and I have got no reward for my blood pressure and weight loss not being on drugs a lot should have got about a 120 for the year and then the extra help is none really. I need help to get to my doctor appointment and paying my copay so it is a waste of time.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I have been a WellCare subscriber since 2011. They were good at the onset. Since 2015 they have outsource their call center to the Philippines and their workforce they are very rude, disrespectful and unknowledgeable of the Medicare laws. I am truly disgusted with WellCare. I now just write letters when I receive an EOB or bill from a provider of service.

They have sunk so low as to not, I mean not pay my primary care provider without explanation. I believe they are stealing the funds from all of our accounts and pocketing the money. I of course cannot prove it. However, I believe that Medicare should audit this Medicare managed company immediately if not yesterday. They are not a good company and should not be in business helping Seniors or the disabled handle their insurance needs any longer. Every day I wait for the mail to tell me I owe more money to another provider for service or I am going to collections for something my medicare managed provider should have paid for.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I went to see a specialist and the company paid only what Medicare would've paid if I had no supplemental insurance at all. Very shabby coverage. I'll be checking into other options. I'm low income and the government pays my fees for their lack of insurance. I received about $1000.00 in my part to pay. If I'm low income, where will I come up with this money? I'm going to notify the government agency about this company also. They are ripping the government and the Medicare recipients off. So sad.

Original review: July 24, 2018

The worst. If you phone customer service they shunt you all over the globe. On one call I was put through to the Philippines, requested a representative in the United States, and they put me through to India. When you do get a US representative they are usually not native English speakers and usually have a difficult time understanding your questions. The so called supervisors or managers (if you manage to get one) are equally ignorant and unhelpful. When I moved it took several calls to get my address changed and when I called to change my provider to my new location I was placed on eternal hold. I finally gave up. Thankfully I'm healthy.

When I selected a new provider on the website it was changed by someone to a different provider at my old location. No one, including a supposed supervisor, could tell me who made the change or why It was made. This is the worst run company I have ever seen, and I have seen plenty. Stay away from this company, especially if you really need medical care.

Original review: July 14, 2018

WellCare has drivers that can take you to and from your appointments. That is fine unless they are required to go beyond the expected mile approved radius. My son has 2 appointments in July of 2018. They assured me it was taken care of. Transferred me to approximately 10 different CSRs when questioned further about the transportation because at that point they had no clue he was scheduled. Then refused to let me speak with a manager, had me in tears and were screaming at me. My son has a head injury. They will tell you what you want to hear because they do not train their CSRs well at all. They have also given me numbers for in network doctors that are no longer in existence. Will be searching for another insurance company when open enrollment is available.

Original review: June 30, 2018

This company's website is impossible to navigate. It's very sloppy. There is no email for customer service, although the website claims they have one. Leaving two contact phone numbers on their web form is frustrating. One of two won't accept it. They don't follow through on their incentives. I've met several and was told they were in route which was untrue. I will be going back to my FORMER provider during open enrollment this fall.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I called WellCare to get a psychiatrist within their network, they gave me numbers that were no longer good. They then tried to send me to Jencare who stated that I needed to take a class before I could be assigned to a Doctor. Every Doctor they gave me were Interns. I stated to them the severity of my problem, but to no avail, these people are not trying to help the sick. It's been two weeks and I'm still trying to get a Doctor who will take their insurance, they use neighborhood health clinics, and Interns. What a waste of money they should be put out of business.

Original review: June 11, 2018

While I type this I'm on my third request to extend my prescriptions while I'm traveling. Their automatic voice system does not recognize dates or numbers. Their personnel doesn't have a clue what you want and transfer you constantly, placing you on hold for excess of 10 min. Next year when my renewal is up, I will be looking for another provider.

Original review: May 24, 2018

This is very long but worth reading. FIVE months of issues with them. Starting in January 2018. I received a letter saying I was insured. Clearly in black and white. I went to the designated pharmacy and was told I did not have coverage. The pharmacy gave me a print out of WellCare's denial. I spent well over an hour on the phone with their call center. The person I spoke to made no sense & kept raising his voice as if I were deaf.

I spoke to him again when I got home. He said in spite of what the letter said, I was not covered. I spent another hour + the next day with two other reps at their company. No one was able to help me figure out what was going on and how it could be remedied. Next day I spoke to Medicare & was told everything looked good on their end and that they would be filing a case with WellCare's escalation Dept.

Once I had this information, I spoke to a woman in that Dept & she assured me everything would be taken care of by her. Next, I get a bill saying I'm behind in January's payment. I called her again & suggested she do whatever was necessary to actually correct this. She said she would but obviously did not. A few days ago I received a letter from WellCare telling me that they are missing a payment from me for April 28th.

I signed into my online banking and every payment I made for February, March and April had cleared. I know this is actually happening because they did not get a payment from me in January. Because I WAS NOT COVERED that month and no one ever fixed the issue. This is a dreadful way to be treated by any company. They are clueless from the top down. They do not merit even 1 star.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Do not & I repeat do not sign up for WellCare Texas. They have all kinds of tricky schemes such as, “You did not obtain pre authorization” in order to get out of paying for the services you think you are entitled to. I have been trying to book a mammogram. 1st I was told, no facility in you are by the Philippines agent. I asked for a US agent, who said I could use Solis Mammogram. I asked if 3D mammogram was covered, the agent said no but gave me all the info to book at Solis Mammogram.

I booked & got my PCP to send a referral. Upon arriving at Solis Mammogram I advised that WellCare does not pay for a 3D mammogram. They said, “We only do 3D mammograms.” So the circus with WellCare starts again & I either have to request that my PCP submit a pre authorization approval for a 3D mammogram (of course WellCare will deny it) or I have to try & locate a Mammogram location that will do the regular (not 3D) Mammogram. All this after 2 months of trying to have a mammogram. I am way overdue & am very concerned as last year I had to have 2 biopsies done.

The way that WellCare get out of paying your bill is they say, “You or your Dr. Failed to get preauthorization”. My PCP says he does not get pre authorizations so then it becomes impossible for you to get your normal yearly exams & have WellCare pay. Even though they get their monthly premium from me automatically deducted. I am warning you, do not & I repeat do not sign up for WellCare. You will regret it. I have more situation like I was told that there is no Urgent Care in my zip code that they could recommend. I think WellCare is a scam to get your money & then deny your medical services. That way everyone pays but them. WellCare are scammers & look for ways how to collect your marriage new & not allow you to get services.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I was told I had two free dental visits per year, with no copay. I made an apt, to be denied the first time because I was late. The second time, I was billed 31.00 which I paid, (should have protested) then later they billed me another 217.00. Insurance said they denied the claim due to the dentist not being in the plan till March, I went in Jan. I filed an appeal, after calling several times. I had trouble getting the nurse practitioner ok'd, with writing scripts. Went to the foot dr, they cancelled the second apt, due to trouble getting their money out of the insurance co. I have a procedure that I have to have done every 3 mos, it did cost me 500.00 with my precious co, this company billed me 6,000.00 +. HUGE DIFFERENCE, I am now going to a chiropractor, which is supposed to cost 20,00. I fully expect to have trouble out of this too, given my past experiences.

Original review: May 7, 2018

WellCare uses bait and switch! Once you join they know you can't leave for a year till next open enrollment! You never know from month to month what your co payments will be, except they will be higher! Rarely will approve treatments by specialist! No one is in customer service speaks fluent English! They are a sorry company!!!

Original review: April 5, 2018

I was forced to become a member by Social Security Disability. I have had nothing but problems with this company. I have been a member for approx. 1 1/2 years. I called to change my bank card information, and they told me I was terminated for non-payment in January, February, and March. We had a three way call between a supervisor there, my bank, and myself. The bank told them they never sent in a request for automatic Withdrawal. We then hung up with the bank. Now even though the bank confirmed that it was WellCare's screw up, I was told I would have to file a grievance and I would receive a response in 30 days. When I asked why I have to file a grievance when the bank confirmed it was their screw up the supervisor told me they did not screw up. This is the worst company in the world. STAY AWAY NO MATTER WHAT.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Suddenly dropped from their plan without any information beforehand. Having their coverage for two years without any problems, then suddenly told I am behind on payment (never got a bill), and customers must renew every year. Also now told I am ineligible to re-enroll although nothing has changed. Now unable to get needed medications that keep me safe, and alive. Oh well because of this company I could drop dead as I write this. Do they care? No.

Original review: March 3, 2018

My wife went in to have a cardiac stress test and we were billed 196 dollars because they said we had a 290 dollar copay as outpatients. I complained but went through their book and actually found where they said we were only liable for a 50 dollar copay. I have talked to them at least 6 times, filed a complaint which they said we lost because everything was good. I am waiting on an escalated complaint where I keep mentioning the 2018 evidence of coverage actually lists a cardiac stress test and says it is only a 50 dollar copay. They job out their customer service and I am not sure that the people who answer are being taught to say anything but no to customers. Poor service, and they will not live up to what they say they will pay. My advice is to find another advantage program. I know I will.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Both my wife and I are members of Wellcare. After the first of this year we noticed our automatic checking deduction did not happen for my wife for the new higher amount in Jan 2018 and we got a late notice stating we were on direct billing, not auto deducting. Since my wife was working and I normally handle bills, I called. First off it was terrible trying to get through to a live operator and when I did he had such a strong accent I had a hard time understanding him. I tried to explain the problem and although I could make the payment to him on the phone (daaa), he told me depending on how we set up auto payment, whether on the phone or by mail, it needed to be done again??? My account was fine, but apparently we may have done hers otherwise. You would think this should be seamless either way year to year for efficiency.

He kept telling me that he would need to speak to my wife even though I told him once she was at work. Even being a member myself and living with her? Really! Having a hard time with the accent was frustrating enough, after all I did press one for English. So now she will need call herself and probably go through the same conversation and I'm guessing have to submit a hard copy form to make the change permanent. We will revisit our prescription options when renewal occurs for sure. Wake up Wellcare, put options on website.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

The worst. The absolute worst. It takes an hour on the phone talking to computers to pay a bill. Then you get someone from India (named "Jack" of course) who tells you you can't pay your husband's bill. Then when I used my husband's name and said I was Walt. He took all the credit card info but not the name or account number of my husband whose premium I was paying. He said he "didn't need it". Didn't even know what an account number was! When I said I would stay on for the survey he hung up on me. Next time I will gladly pay more for a different plan. Never get this plan! It doesn't even pay for much. Definitely not worth it.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I started with this company when it was Windsor in 2014. Then WellCare bought it out. I recently found out I have no coverage because they said my Medicaid was dropped. So I call Medicaid and found out that in fact it was WellCare that was the problem. So I call WellCare and they confirmed that I still had Medicaid. WellCare said they got notice on Dec. 1st... they didn't send a letter me until 12/27/17 to notify me of the problem. I got it on 1/6/18 11 days after it was supposedly mailed. In the past 2 years no problems. Now this. Reading the reviews I can see why they have a low rating. No one likes to be scammed.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

WellCare Medicare Part D - Poor coverage; for example, cough syrup was excluded. WellCare claimed Medicare didn’t cover cough syrup. Premium was low but prescription prices were high. Although insurance rolled over from year to year without my reapplying, last year, after several years on the plan, WellCare continued my coverage but didn’t continue the auto deduct payments from an account I don’t use for day to day business. I was surprised when I realized they canceled my insurance for non-payment. They would not work with me at all; it was like talking to a stone wall.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

They simply will not let you cancel your membership…all kinds of run around. Letter to them must be exact or they will continue to bill you. The information that they require is hard to find. When I asked for my Wellcare number after giving them my ss, dob, address they transferred me to a supervisor that of course does not pick up. I was in luck and found my card…pasted a copy in a fax…to cancel. A real scam. So glad I cancelled. Would never get tangled up with them again. They have a real problem with English.

WellCare Company Information