Compare Quotes and Save

Compare Quotes and Save

Find Short Term Health Insurance

Shop Plans Today

118 WellCare Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 22, 2019

For those prescriptions that I do have, they have covered them very well. But is it worth putting up with very poor customer service. The one that gets me the most is that on December 3 I requested that they take premiums out of my social security. It is April 22 nearly five months later and they still are not doing that. Despite many followup requests.

Original review: April 19, 2019

This is by far the worst insurance company to sign with. I had them for 4 months and they didn't wanna pay for any script that was given to me. Keep in mind I'm a diabetic. I had to get prior auth. for every script. The customer service forget about it. They will hang up on you bc they don't have a clue. What the heck they are doing! Run run far from this company. They are no good and they are a bunch of liars and are incompetent to do their job!

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2019

They are receptive to adding new providers for specialized services. They provide local customer service follow up sessions after enrollment so you can maximize the insurance benefits. The list of toll free telephone numbers for each department is also helpful.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I expect to be able to view my monthly prescription drug summary (standard Medicare form) online in a timely way as well as reports of recent transactions between statements. This has been true for years with other PDP providers I have used. Printed reports by postal mail are slow, inefficient, costly, and wasteful. It is mid-April and I just received my statement for February transactions. There is not a single thing on the WellCare "member portal" that is of any use to me whatsoever. I chose WellCare because of their low premium and copays for my drug list. I am satisfied with the value provided there, but the total lack of any useful online resources will drive me to another plan at the next open enrollment period. Zero chance I will renew.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Once you navigate the system, it runs very smoothly. I pay no premium and my prescriptions are zero. They offer a 20.00 over the counter choice per month. They do have a 192.00 deductible, however if you are healthy you don't use it. They allow for chiropractic and Acupuncture Which I was interested in. I have been with them since 2012.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WellCare?

Original review: April 10, 2019

Signed up for WellCare Medicare Part D and regret the decision. I spent an entire day trying to contact the company to receive a membership card and information on how to obtain mail order prescriptions. Long hold periods followed by a disconnect, left my phone number for a callback and after the phone call was returned I was answered by a recording and a disconnect. Several phone calls later I was connected to a representative that I struggled to understand and who could not understand me. I asked for an English speaking representative and was transferred, after fifteen minutes, to another person I could not understand. When I again requested an English speaking representative I was told that there weren't any.

I filed a complaint with Medicare and received a phone call from a representative that apologized and gave me a phone number for customer service in the U.S. but informed me that the hold times would be longer. I will not renew with this company and discourage anyone contemplating doing so to pay a bit more and receive competent service. I also encourage Medicare to remove it from the recommended Part D list on their website.

Original review: April 7, 2019

Plan started April 1....first prescription I had to pay 300% more than Blue Cross...from $70 to $210 for a 90 day script. Please do your homework as WellCare's plan, for me, is not one those of us on fixed income should be signing up for.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I just realized on April 3rd that my primary insurance was cancelled as of December 31, 2018. There was a confusion during enrollment. The supplement denied me so I was told I would keep my current insurance at that time. So I thought nothing changed and no one said anything differently. So April 3rd I went to the doctor to get prescriptions renewed. I went to pharmacy and they informed me my insurance was denied. So after making calls I found out my insurance went back to the Medicare and WellCare. I did receive a bill from WellCare but I thought I still had my other insurance so I didn't need WellCare part D.

Now my bill on this was due March 31, 2019 and this was just 3 days later April 3, 2019. They would not accept any payment, told me I had to wait till next enrollment. So I asked her, because of meds I take, which are for high blood pressure and a daily inhaler, it is alright that I could possibly have a heart attack or end up not being able to breathe. Basically could die without these meds, her answer to me was nothing she could do!!! Now the language barrier was also a problem. Could barely understand her.

How sad that that WellCare plays a part on if you live or not. Again, this was only 3 days after my due date, not a month. I would not recommend WellCare for your insurance needs. Being 3 days later, I should of been able to pay the premiums and also pay next premium to catch up, then all would have been fine. Being told you have to wait till next enrollment is unacceptable and totally ridiculous. NEVER USE WELLCARE. They play with your life, can barely understand the representative and there is no extension for payment. This was a horrible experience to know you need meds and can't get them.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Received a letter of acceptance yesterday with no prescription card. Called to inquire about the status of the card. After giving my info I was put on hold for 10 minutes. The customer service person came back and said my application had not been completely filled out, and he was transferring me. After another 5 minutes I was speaking to someone in the application department, who wanted me to fill out a new application. What?!! I had completed the application, had a letter that I was accepted, what?!! I was told no, my application had been denied. What?!! I have a letter of acceptance.

Asked to speak to a supervisor. He confirmed my application had been denied, and needed to re-apply. The start date on my application was incorrect. I had the application right in front of me, and the date WAS correct?!!! After 25 minutes of talking to four people and going nowhere, I have to resubmit my application, again. Not one person took the time to give me any intelligent explanation, and it was frustrating beyond! The only hope I have is once I am in the system, I have NO reason to call this company. It is pathetic!!

Original review: April 1, 2019

In November 2018 I wrote two Medicare policies for WellCare. I am yet to be paid in full. I have been caught the office since January 2019 for my commission. In March 2019 they sent a renewal check in the amount of $20.08. I called in March to ask about the status of my commission for the new application. I was told that the check was in the mail. Each and every staff have lied about when I will receive my commission. Today April 1, 2019 I called and the representative didn't see a check nor info concerning my check. This is a very deceptive and unethical company. I am proof.

Original review: March 29, 2019

This review is based on the multiple occassions that I have had dealings with WellCare during which I have had their insurance. During phone conversations with Customer Service Agents, the Agents often appear to struggle to access information and answer questions appropriately. This results in long hold times. Most recently, information impacting my healthcare was undisclosed to me by Agents, despite the information availability. Generally speaking, training, consistency, and quality are my recommended focal points for improvement to Customer Service and Support.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Do not waste your efforts calling the phone number on the back of your WellCare card and only get marble-mouthed conversations out of it. End nowhere! Go directly to WellCare, located in Florida, escalations department! Phone #866-587-1384. If an associated plan of Medicare, call Medicare first and put a complaint against WellCare -first- and then tell the Escalations agent you had done that before calling. WellCare has to resolve any Medicare complaint it gets but never will or try not to with oddball - half witted excuses.

WellCare advertises unreal great benefits but try to get them! Never will because of all sorts of excuses they will give you not to allow them. Keep calling Medicare on not allowing you your full benefits and eventually it will be passed to the (ARC) Medicare Advanced Resolution Center. WellCare will be forced to follow Medicare guidelines. When ARC is given your case with WellCare problems, the ARC agent can make 3 way calls with you, them and WellCare. If a WellCare escalations agent hangs up on you and the ARC agent, just have the ARC agent hit redial on them. WellCare is the best cat and mouse insurance company you will ever find!

Original review: March 22, 2019

I am so sorry I didn't read all the reviews before purchasing a policy with WellCare! They are the worst to deal with. They can't get anything correct and I can't wait for the year end to drop them! Aside from the language issues they put you on hold to then transfer you to another person that can't help either. How on earth do they stay in business??? The first time I went to get a prescription filled for cough syrup the pharmacy said I was cancelled. I called them and they said they didn't have complete information after billing me for 2 months premiums and sending 2 mail order scripts to me already. Really? Just horrible customer service!

Original review: March 22, 2019

This has to be the worst insurance anywhere it should not be permitted to have a license. Every other week there is another problem with WellCare. Not even the Government is as messed up as this. The customer service disgraceful. No one there knows what's going on. Keep getting transferred from one incompetent person to another. What a nightmare this is.

Original review: March 21, 2019

This company is the WORST! My Husband was assigned this company as his Part D Medication Service through Medicare in January, 2019. THANK GOD they put me with Cigna instead. We have paid more for his meds than we could have paid with NO coverage. But now we are stuck till October open enrollment. They are rude, DO NOT SPEAK proper English, and treat you like garbage. Do yourself a favor and DON’T sign up with them.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Florida's Gov DeSantis put me on Staywell Medicaid in January 2019. I tried using Staywell all over Panama City and Bay County but all the doctors and pharmacies haven't accepted Staywell for years. I lost my free clinic because of Mr. DeSantis' generosity and now I need blood thinners for my mitral valve. I went to Gulf Coast hospital's er today and got blood thinner refill while I wait for right/wing Florida to switch me over to Lighthouse HMO on April 1. Florida just sucks as a state in everything.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I enrolled with WellCare as my first attempt to entered the Medicare world. What a disaster it has been. First enrolled for a specific date and that was changed upon attempting to communicate with the Philippines agents. Was told they had fixed change. Now three weeks later and having received at least 15 letters for WellCare this evening attempted to (again) try to have "Reich" Supervisor at WellCare stop the madness. Was not satisfied with her response and attempted to speak with Manager "Norman". After holding for 10 minutes was told Norman was on another call however he had time to tell her that they would handle it. If I had to do this over I would not go with WellCare due to their poor customer service and inability to handle concerns and issues. Please if looking at this company do your homework better than I did.

Original review: March 12, 2019

After signing up for their drug coverage, receiving a prescription card, paying premiums, and even getting a prescription filled, when we went back for the refill we were informed the policy had been canceled. Like other reviews state, these folks do not speak English as their primary language and do not understand what you are trying to tell them. I was transferred 3 times and each person was just as ignorant as the first. When we signed up for coverage we were not taking medications, now that we are the policy gets canceled. This is my first posting and tomorrow the letter writing and phone calls will begin. My first call will be to my agent, then Medicare, and then insurance fraud.

Original review: March 11, 2019

WellCare prescription drug plan for Medicare should change its name to Death care. They will deny medications prescribed by your doctor, they will waste time always asking for prior authorizations from your healthcare provider. My mother was prescribed a medication by her Dr to prevent pneumonia and choking, and they denied her this medication. Their help desk is located in the Philippines, and is totally useless. I strongly advise anyone thinking of using this prescription plan to not do it.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I am a long time member who is current in the middle of a health crisis. My plan has failed me because it requires too many people to sign off and get specific benefits approved, it takes too long to get a specific issue moved from one desk to another, it takes too long to get to customer service on the phone, it takes too long to find someone who understands the issues, benefits and what needs to be done. Meanwhile, if you are sick or experiencing some health issue, you just keep getting sicker because your health plan with this company is aggravating and frustrating you along with the fact that you are not getting the specific benefit you have been expecting and waiting for. Even when you final a grievance, that, too, takes too long to move through the complicated and very, very slow process to get to a resolution. I never can talk to anyone who understands or reports any of the problems I report to them about my frustrations with their operation.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Spoke with local doctors in Rochester NY to find that none of them will accept WellCare. Most will not even grant an appointment if you have them. Providers say WellCare doesn’t pay well and difficult to even reach customer service. I had to change to get providers that would see me.

Original review: March 6, 2019

You spend hours on the phone trying to get your problem solved and you are just transferred from one person to another with hold lasting 15 to 20 minutes to 30 minutes and never get to anyone who can provide an answer or even understands what you are asking. I will be looking for alternatives to WellCare AdvantageCare next year. I was with Texan Plus and had no problems but this co. bought them out and I have issued complaints with no solutions.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Everyone who has Wellcare needs to leave now while there is time. This is the penultimate WORST CS I have experienced in my life-as a customer and as a Nurse Practitioner. The reps cannot speak OR understand English; they are clueless, inept, incompetent and dumb as rocks. They are unable to answer even simple questions so they just hang up--this has happened to me repeatedly. I cannot express how disgusted I am. I'm leaving this company. I called Medicare and filed a complaint and the rep said she has heard several complaints about this "company".

Original review: March 4, 2019

Called 5 times and spent over two hours on phone. And one of those call was from my doctor's office. They change their story each time I called. No dosage, two scripts, ran out of refills. This was the worst company I have ever dealt with in my whole life. Each person I talked with did not know what to do. I will run out of medicine tomorrow. After over a month I have no results. Good luck if you have to deal with this company.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

The out-of-pocket cost for any script (brand or generic) is well above other carrier providers. Premium amounts are also well above average. Customer service over-the-phone is a nightmare. Reps are poorly trained for phone calls, have no knowledge of their own company services or insurance regulations in general. Misinformation is a constant problem when calling in. The members' website is as basic as it gets. No online support is available for account self-service so contacting CSRs by phone is the only way to get problems or updates resolved. My advice to anyone seeking PDP coverage: Do not use this provider.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I find it hard to believe that this company is actually certified by Medicare to offer Part D. It has to have the worst customer service EVER. I signed up for WellCare after three years with a different company because that company's premiums became too high. I take no medications whatsoever but know that I need to have some sort of coverage because I will pay a penalty if I ever do need Part D and don't have coverage. It took me more than a month to pay these people. I didn't even get an email stating how to set up an online account. I got a response to an email more than a month after sending it. Figuring out how to weed through their website is difficult. I cannot imagine a company that does less to get business. I would hate to have to deal with them if I ever actually needed any sort of medication and had a problem getting it.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Started with the Elite Medicare Advantage Plan on January 1, 2019. The plan's formulary is not as mainstream as most other plans. They would not cover my wife's diabetic drugs with the prescription the primary care had written. My dermatologist wrote a prescription for a cream for me to use and it was not covered but for 30 days and I had to pay over $58.00 to have it filled. My Gastroenterologist ordered an MRI which they denied. The customer service is the pits. I never got answer why, just that they did not have the request. I still have not received a written explanation as to why. Just today my GI ordered another procedure which they also denied because I had decided to return to Optimum Medicare Advantage plan before it was too late.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I agree with everyone who has said that the customer service is very poor. The representatives are very hard to understand and they have a problem understanding you. I was transferred three times and still did not have a resolution. So far my husband and I have received our medications. I hope we have no major issues before the next Open Enrollment. Inexpensive premiums are not always worth it.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Two months ago, after completing the arduous task of enrolling my mom in Medicare, I was asked to sign her up with one of five supplemental carriers. I chose the one her doctor accepted. I called and mailed in the application on her behalf. United Health Care... Because her doctor accepts them and they are darned good at what they say they do. Today Laguisha ** from Wellcare sashays into my mom's room at the nursing home and starts interviewing her and then asks her to sign up. These folks try the end-around with the poor souls in nursing homes who do not have an advocate. Their service is abysmal and their practices are predatory.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Do not sign up for this company. Their agents lie about the benefits this company provides. My mother had Medicare for more than 5 years. In December, we made the horrible decision to switch to WellCare. People, PLEASE DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THIS COMPANY. We have invested more than 50 hours, no exaggeration, with various people that work for this company and with prescription companies, as this company says that my mom is not eligible for a prescription that she has been taking for 4 months before we switched.

Also, we have tried to cancel in January and still are unable to get back into Medicare as of Feb 18, 2019. They told us "you can cancel anytime and at the end of the month, your insurance switch back to Medicare", we are well past the end of the month - still haven't switched. This cheating company is only after making money off of the State of Texas without providing any service. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.

WellCare Company Information