2.58/5
Based on 26 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

WellCare

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 17, 2017

26 WellCare Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

My husband has been ill for 6 years. He is now on his 30th day stay in the hospital and will return with hospice. WellCare started by denying certain medications that worked for him. Even when the Dr. sent a paper stating that this type of medication worked best for his condition they still denied. It has been a battle with them on tests, on medication for treatment. He has been in and out of the hospital every 2 months for 2 years. He is an amputee and can no longer walk. They denied payment for the ambulance service the last two times. Even though the one time we were on the interstate and the state police called them for him. He was in AFIB. This time he was on a ventilator, the 5 Dr’s and 3 social workers worked on having him sent to a nursing home to get strong enough to come home. They did approve.

The nursing home didn't have his medication for three days and had no idea what was going on with him so he fell trying to help himself and was sent back to hospital. Now, he has ischemic heart disease and is in final stages of emphysema. He is only 58. The man cannot even move without his heart racing up to around 200. I came home from the hospital yesterday to find another charming letter from WellCare denying payment to the nursing home and that is when I decided to get a lawyer. The Dr’s have told him that he does not have much time left and are trying to get him into this other hospital for a 30-day stay and home with hospice but again we are fighting the almighty WellCare. The hospital said they were one of the worst insurance companies they had dealt with. Home health care said the same about them.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

My mother just passed away. Called first. I get someone can't speak English, transfers me to rude girl, hangs up on me when I was asking questions. Worst customer service I have ever had. Would not WellCare to insurance my pet if I had one. Tried to call agent in Memphis, TN. Left voicemail, no one returned my call.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Yesterday I got a call from CVS, actually would not have picked up because I do not get my meds from CVS. I get them at Publix and I have no intention of changing pharmacies. I have been with Publix since 2011. I know all of them and they know me and they are very kind. CVS is just about useless. Not only was the call totally out of bounds I am over the top mad. I have talked to WellCare many times about the CVS situation and that I prefer Publix and they tell me no problem Publix is on their list. So why did CVS call me in the early morning to see why I have not filled my prescription for **. Just where did they get my phone number and a view of my prescriptions that did or did not need filling. My ** was not filled because I have enough to last another week. No problem because my ** and other drugs are free at Publix. It is simply a matter of no time and having enough.

The recording from CVS chastised me for not taking my Diabetic prescriptions. So let me say this to CVS right now. Who the hell do you think you are calling me when I do not use you. Why should you have private information about the drugs I have along with my phone number, address, age, birthdate, etc. To say I am livid is an understatement. Trust me I have not confronted WellCare with this yet but there are many problems that have me furious. I will also be CVS directly to talk to them about a legal action because they have accessed my personal information without my permission. At this point, I may companies. I forgot to say that when I signed into the WellCare site today a CVS logo came up telling me to order my **. I have this to say to CVS, it will be a cold day in hell before I even go into one of their stores again for anything. I hope to watch their descent into nonexistence.

The Customer service sucks. I called today and got a male I could barely understand to ask about my OTC medicines which were ordered on the 1st. They generally arrive here on between the 8th to the 10th so I waited until the 14th to call to ask. These medicines say in the WellCare system that they were shipped on the day I ordered the meds. So not here by the 14th gives me reason to question. He kept yelling Hurricane at me and I kept saying there was no hurricane there until the 9th and that is 8 days after, according to your system was shipped on the first of September.

So hurricane does not wash. If they had shipped when they said they would be here end of subject. So I will be working on this a bit more after I scream bloody murder at WellCare for rude employee and lousy service. All of this is totally unacceptable. I am sure I will soon change my Medicare to someone who treats medical patients as they should be treated.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

As long as I have had insurance with this company. I have always had to pay out of pocket for prescriptions. They should be free. For 2 years they have been saying I have private insurance(that I don't have) so they don't have to pay for the prescriptions. The pharmacy customer service is horrible. They are rude and can't tell you anything about what's going on and I could die without this medication. It's so sad how companies do when you have Medicaid. They need to do away with this company.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

If I could give no stars, I would. It is true that it is really difficult to get anyone at WellCare that speaks fluent English. I always ask for an English speaking person, then stay on hold until they find one, if they find one. I have been trying to get them to explain why a claim from 2/1/17 has not been paid. I only know they denied the claim because the company that provided the service keeps sending me the unpaid bill on a monthly basis. They state that WellCare denied service because the service was performed prior to my coverage. I've been covered since 2011, the service, an MRI, was in 2017. WellCare has never send me a denial letter, when I call regarding this issue they have told me, at least twice, that it was sent to their appeals department.

They have never sent me any notices of any appeals findings. On 7/20/17 I sent an email demanding that they send me a denial letter, explaining the reasons for the denial of the claim, and written notices of both of the appeals department findings, by today 8/7/17, or I would file an official complaint against them. They ignored my email. They just don't care. This is the worst company I have ever done business with. In addition, there doesn't seem to be any information online as to how to file an official complaint against a Medicare insurance provider. I keep looking for someone in the government that will accept a complaint against WellCare but there just doesn't seem to be any help for me. WellCare deserves zero stars.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WellCare?

Original review: July 25, 2017

I've tried on numerous occasions and can't seem to get anyone that I can understand? Are they outsourcing their company customer service??? This is nuts. I'm going to switch my Medicare RX asap. Absolutely TERRIBLE!

Original review: July 24, 2017

WellCare Medicare Customer Service IS NOT customer service but the worst attempt at outsourcing services I have EVER seen! This company does not deserve one star. I wish you had a half star for this company's customer service. When you call them take a pillow to the phone with you so that you can prop your arm and head up. (average wait on line is 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours per question.) Also prepare for the following:

1. 98% of the time the person who answers will not speak English or be in United States. 2. If you ask for another phone number to call, 95% of the time they will route you around to other people who do not speak English either! 3. If you then ask for their name and to speak to a supervisor, they will make you wait an additional 30minutes. 4. The echo sounds like they are being held captive in a basement with only a pencil and one sheet of paper to use per call. 5. 2017 Healthcare is scary enough for all of us out there who have worked ALL OUR LIVES and are now retired and at the mercy of government and the money hungry healthcare providers who do "creative billing" at every turn. 6. A person on welfare who never worked a day in their life or paid "anything" into social security has

more and better benefits than I do. They can even go to the dentist. I hate WellCare Medicare (NON) Customer (NON) Service!!!

Original review: July 21, 2017

This has been the insurance company that I have had for a few years. They have been horrible. I am in the final stages of emphysema. I am an amputee and diabetic on top of all. I am in the hospital about every two months for around 9 days. I know am in the hosp., and am supposed to go to a nursing home for the short term. The hosp., the nursing home, and two doctors have been trying to get WellCare to approve my short term stay at the nursing home. SO far they have not answered anyone. They have denied me throughout the years the very medication that works. It has to be bad when the nursing staff, Doctors and administrators talk WellCare down. OH, along with in home health care. This company needs investigating.

Original review: June 3, 2017

The service is bloody horrible. A formulary drug coverage book was never sent at the beginning of the year as they claimed. I requested to send another one but never received it. Three different medications I have been taking for 12 years were suddenly denied requiring prior authorization. Within a month and a half my doctors sent three prior authorizations and appeals and all were denied. Fed up with the service I had Medicate switch me to Humana Prescription Drug. Two days after enrollment I was able to order all three medications without prior authorization. Humana, unlike WellCare, has the humanity to spare its customers from suffering by providing them needed medications.

Original review: May 24, 2017

If I could give a half star I would. What you have listed in the catalog aren't the same items in your distribution center. My son OTC order for April had to be replaced three times and each time it was incorrect. I ordered the premium size 16-28lbs diapers (MEDIUM) that's listed in the catalog but I have received twice 12-20lbs stage 3 diapers. A total of four packs wrong size and when I opened his box today there was only one pack of diapers, one pack of wipes and one lip balm. So I called and spoke with Benny (confirmation# **) and ask, "Was this his order for May or the replacement for April". He told me that the diapers are for April which was only one pack. It should have been two packs and the lip balm and wipes are for this month. Why in the hell are they mixing my orders up?

Every time I call and ask for the warehouse number or the number for the catalog no one knows it, how is that possible. When the warehouse is out of something or if there is a backorder on a product or a discontinue on an item how do y'all communicate. These are all the confirmation numbers just for one order **. I don't have the person name for this confirmation number ** which was the first time I called in and complained about the order being wrong. WellCare owes my son three pack of diapers. Hope you guys do the right thing and replace them. As I stated each time I have called if you send me a box with paid postage I will send those four pack of diapers back to you guys. In the picture are the four packs of wrong diapers and my order for May & April mix together. Send my son his three pack of diapers.

Original review: March 27, 2017

My husband enrolled in Medicare in November 2016, and went through the enrollment process for WellCare at the same time, through a broker. He was told he had coverage. Then in December, he received a letter stating that there was a lapse in prescription drug coverage, and he would have to pay a fine. We submitted proof that the lapse had been less than 30 days, and we were told all was well. Then, in December, we received a letter stating that his coverage was denied, but he could re-enroll: ??? Though frustrated with the process, he indeed did re-enroll, received his card, and heard nothing more. Again, we thought all was well.

Last week--now March! He received a letter (first correspondence received since December) that WellCare couldn't accept his application because they hadn't received all the information they requested?.. but we could re-enroll. Except he couldn't because the application period was now closed. This is unfair, unkind, poor business, and elderly abuse.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

This is possibly the best brand ever and I recommend it highly, my family and friends all use it. The customer service is outstanding. The people are great to talk to. I have got a couple that are **. But for the most part it's alright. I never once have came up on to a problem with my coverage or them not covering my ass when I need it. Get most for your money with these folks. Knowing my luck they prolly don't even cover the people in Arkansas.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

The claim process takes a little bit time but the waiting period is acceptable. Generally speaking, you don't have to wait very long for your claim to be processed. The customer service is very good. They are very helpful and knowledgeable about the different products so that they can guide you in buying the right plan for you and your family. The coverage is very good. You get a few options that you are able to choose from. Essentially, you are able to buy the right coverage that suits you and your family. The value is acceptable. You get what you paid for. Therefore, the coverage is what determines your value and what you pay in terms of premium.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2016

I filled out my claims app online and within the hour they were calling me back to process my claim... I'm very happy to be a part of their clientele list. They were fast, accurate, caring and understanding. I felt like the customer care rep cared about me and my family. Best insurance I've ever had. I honestly tried Obama Care first...they just were not a right fit. With this company I got full coverage at a premium price. I'm glad I found them online. I am disabled with two children on a budget. Premiums just right. Copay barely nothing. It's brought tremendous value and peace of mind to my life. Now I know I won't end up leaving my loved ones in a lurch. With my plan and coverage my kids will be set...THIS COMPANY MAKES ME FEEL LESS LIKE A BURDEN MORE OF A PERSON.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

It was usually painless but sometimes clunky even though it worked out in the end and I got what I asked for, so no real complaints really. They were always helpful and quick to answer my questions to resolve my issues in a timely manner so I would definitely recommend them. They covered everything I expected them to and fully reimbursed me for my losses and offered additional help without me requesting it so that was nice. The value is good for me and my wife because we were granted our benefits as stated without much hassle so I think the value is pretty good.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

I had no problems and had a friend that works at the hospital help. I'm not to good with claims but it went simple, fast and easy and was pleased with my experience. The customer service went really good! My friend had to call two times for me and had no problems at all. Went really good and am pleased. The coverage was really good. Pleased and was worth it. I would definitely recommend to any family and or friends. Happy with my experience.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2016

The claims processing was easy and they made it very easy on me and helped me with everything that I needed help with or any questions I may have had at the time they answered. It was fast and I got something back within days. The customer service was great and I would recommend them to anyone because they were very helpful friendly and caring to all my needs and questions. I was very satisfied with the coverage that I got using this and I was very happy. It's so easy to sign up and get started and I continue to use them to this day. The value that you get for this product's great and you definitely get your money's worth. The customer service is great and you can choose the coverage that you want and overall it is just fantastic.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2016

Paid claims in timely manner... No problems in claims processing. No unnecessary denials. Pretty straightforward Claims processing procedure. I had no problem with the customer service that I received from Wellcare. The call in wait times were a little long, but the customer service representative who assisted me was knowledgeable and friendly and helpful. Wellcare has fairly good collection of in-network physicians. Decent coverage. I felt the value of WellCare was good and satisfactory. The premium was acceptable for the coverage received. Insurance is necessary and I was glad to be covered without exorbitant price.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2016

Usually was a quick process but on some occasions it would take forever. The people were really helpful and knowledgeable and knew what they were doing. Most of the people I would talk to were very respectful and understanding and knew exactly what to do to help me out. Sometimes I would get someone who seemed like they were new and that they knew nothing. Most of the places I have tried to use accepted it with no problem but there has been a couple of place that I really wanted to use that did not accept it. It's a decent service for what you pay for. It could be better but you can't really complain because of the price. It gets the job done when you need it.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2016

The process that you have to go through just to file a claim was extremely stressful. The customer service representatives that I spoke with was quite rude. They treated me as if I was being a burden on them. On top of the rudeness, it took forever to complete. It also took them a long time to do anything. Needless to say, I will not be getting this insurance again. The coverage to price of coverage ratio was horrible. I had the minimum coverage plan and I was paying the price of a full coverage plan from a top ranked insurance company. The value of the coverage is horrible for the little amount of coverage you get. I had to pay (I think) way too much for the coverage plan I had. I think they should lower the price a little bit if they plan on competing with bigger companies.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

It was easy but the process could be made simple. I had to go through a long wait time while paperwork was processed and I think that could be sped up. They had very good customer service support but the process could have been faster and more comprehensive and the people could have been more knowledgeable. I thought that the coverage was very good and that it was what I was looking for in my coverage. I think that there could be a little bit more comprehensive coverage. I think that it is a good deal but that they could offer a little bit more service for what they charge. But other than that I think it is a good deal.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2016

I have had no problems at all getting my claims paid in a timely manner. I have also had great customer service the few times I have called. The customer service has always been great. They have always answered all of my questions in a polite and informative manner. I have never had to wait on hold while calling them. This insurance has always covered all of my charges. The copays are reasonable. I have never had any problems at all with my coverage with the exception on of 1 prescription not being covered. This insurance has helped to keep me healthy. I am able to choose whichever doctors that I want to choose and the charges are covered with reasonable copays.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2016

Bro like the claims processing was ridiculous. First you had to call and then explain that your claim only for them to say that they did nothing wrong when they very clearly did. It's ridiculous. They are some of the rudest people to ever have lived on this planet. I mean come on, you don't just flat out raise your voice to tell me I'm wrong. I can't say that the coverage was that horrible but it didn't have a lot of benefits which was a definite subtraction. Also I have to keep mentioning the horrible customer service like wtf dude. I also have to admit on this one that the value wasn't that bad either but the coverage was just a **. I was not really impressed at all with this which is frankly disappointing because it could have worked out.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2016

Very friendly staff. When I had a problem was taken care of quickly, never had to wait long, and always got a callback. Just a great all around company. They care about their people. Amazing customer service. Highly recommend this company to anyone. Very helpful staff, never rude always happy. Has one of the excellent service representatives I have ever dealt with. Excellent coverage. Covers all my family's needs at low and affordable cost. I will stick with this company forever. Always good quality service. The overall value of the company is phenomenal. I would definitely highly recommend it to my close family and friends. Never had any problems with this company.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2016

I had no problems when I signed up for this insurance, Very fast processing, friendly customer service, step by step instructions. I recommend it to anyone and everyone. Customer service is very friendly to me. They enjoy what they do. Every time I would call I would always get a "Hi how are you today?" And they would always make sure they answered all your questions. All in all very nice people. If you're looking for a good coverage plan this is where you want to be. It's affordable. And some people like me rates never go up. Always stay the same. I have recommended this to my family and friends. This has brought peace of mind to me and my family I have enjoyed their service and their coverage and I've had no issues. Customer service is great. Coverage is great. Everything about them is great.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2016

They were very good me. They took care of any concerns that I had. I was very surprised because the ones I had had before were very rude and these people had very good customer service. They were super friendly. They knew exactly what they were doing. And they treated me with respect and did not treat me like I was below average. I would very much so recommend them to everyone. The coverage was very good. I will definitely tell others to go to them. I got my medicine and my care and they took care of everything. I really appreciate everything and will definitely tell everyone how great they are. The value of this is just wonderful. It has brought so much peace and clarity to my life. They truly take care of everything so I can live my life and not worry about whether or not I'm taken care of.

WellCare Company Information