Compare Quotes and Save

Compare Quotes and Save

Find Short Term Health Insurance

Shop Plans Today

87 WellCare Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I've had the same frustrations with Wellcare Customer Service, and I just started on January 1. Instead of complaining here, I did some research on the Medicare site: **. There, I found the contact info for the Senior Director of WellCare Customer Service, Jason Bollent, for my state (Maine) and found his name associated with other states as well. I sent him an email outlining my CS issues, and he did respond promptly. Time will tell if this is an effective method of complaint, but it looks promising. If he hears enough of the horror stories outlined here, maybe they will take some action and make some changes. His contact info: **, or something similar to that. Good luck.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

We have over 4 hours invested and they still can’t get it right! The plan came back with the wrong effective date. We have called in 4 times - each one at least an hour. These people are incompetent! I don’t think we will ever get to the point of using the coverage. If they can’t even issue a policy correctly how in the world will they be able to make insurance payments. I wish 0 stars was an option.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Contacted Wellcare to find out pricing on my drug plan. Was on the phone for over an hour to get pricing on five meds I take and still didn't get the information I needed. I ask where the lady from the call center was located as she could not speak good English and could not understand English. I had to repeat and spell every drug at least 4 or 5 times. She was from the Philippines. I was promised a call back from her supervisor but have yet to get one two days later. Found out today from our local CVS some of the information she gave me was not correct. Worst customer service I have ever experienced. This is frightening as they are dealing with people's lives. Horrible.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Terrible. No one signed up for this but somehow my 95 year old mother is enrolled. I told them she does not need or want this and yet they sent a payment book. Told them it's not getting paid. Simple. Told them to call me when they figure out what they are doing. I told them she is on Medicaid long term care and she does not need it. And again they speak in broken English. Hard to understand? Stay away. They will drive you crazy.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

As many other reviewers have stated, there is no way to communicate with these people! I have tried for weeks to register online, but the registration page will not take my information. I tried calling, but as others have said, I reached someone who barely spoke English and was no help at all. I am having to MAIL my monthly premium in. There is no way to pay online. Totally unacceptable!!! Like many others, I switched to WellCare this year for the cost savings, but this is the worst service I have ever experienced.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WellCare?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

If you want answers to any questions, call the person who sold you the policy. I tried to get some information on a policy to make my first payment since I didn't receive my policy or member number. The first person, who barely spoke English, told me she can't help without my member number and put me on hold. I finally hung up after 11 minutes. The second girl was even worse, she spoke some ** language and was pretty nasty, she also put me on terminal hold after asking for my SS#. I only held for 9:45 minutes this time. The third time was exactly like the other two.

When attempting to sign up online you have to have your account number so that wasn't much help. I will wait until I get a notice of cancellation, if I get one, and try to sign in online. The customer service is the absolute worst I have ever seen, that includes from the old days of offshore Microsoft help. I would rather pay for the prescriptions without a plan than to endure the WellCare people.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Worst customer service I EVER experienced in 50 years of business. Customer service passes you from one dept. to another & clearly have not been trained. Service is an off-shore & comments delivered in terrible English in phone lines that remind me of the 1980s when it rained. Wish I could give less than 1 star. Took me 4 hours over a 2 day period & still lacking info I need.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

My husband NEVER signed up for this plan, yet they have sent him a bill monthly for the past 3 years. He has tried repeatedly for the past 3 years to get this cancelled. After finally being able to get a customer service rep on the phone last night, we spent an hour trying to get this cancelled, and still NOTHING! They said he has to put cancellation request in writing. What happened to the other 36 that he has mailed in?

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Don’t try to call them. I have talked to three people and not one of them was trained properly. My question was simple. I just needed to know what my co pay would be on a medication. This doesn’t seem to be too much to ask. They simply couldn’t give me an answer that was understandable.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I was recommended to get WellCare by my Medicare Insurance Advisor because of the cost savings for me. I tried to register online and at the end of the registration confirmation it states "Your temporary password will be e-mailed to ** within 24 hours." It has been 36 hours and still no password. I emailed them 3 times asking where is my temporary password. No response. I phoned them. I was put on hold for an hour after which I simply hung up. I have a life to lead and can't be running around with this phone playing horrendous music while I WAIT ON HOLD. I hung up and called back and the operator seemed to feel that 1 hour was NOT excessive hold time and now that I called back, I would be placed at the end of the line again. After another hour on hold, I just hung up and have given up.

I also feel I made the mistake of signing up for mail delivery of my maintenance drugs. Honestly, if I had not phoned them, I would have hung up because the call was like a SPAM phone call! The girl who was taking my information could not be heard due to a HORRENDOUS phone connection. She didn't know what to do to get me signed up for mail delivery. Her name was Debby **, by the way. So if you ever get her, hang up and call back and pray you get someone else!!! She didn't know if she should take my credit card number to charge for mailed drugs until I suggested she do that! Every time I gave the number, she got it wrong.

Immediately after hanging up from that call, I regretted trying to do mail pharmacy. So I called my local CVS pharmacy and made sure I could still get prescriptions through them and just walk in there to pick them up. Of course, when they checked, WellCare had NOT tried to refill any of my scripts. I honestly believe it would take WellCare at least 6 months to figure out how to do that if ever.

WellCare, in my opinion, if the most inept company I have dealt with. Sometimes when people get the least expensive drug program, they get what they pay for. Now I am STUCK with this horrible company for the next year. I will NOT renew with them. If anyone knows how I can change plans, please let me know! After reading all of the other reviews here, I see that I'm not alone!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I understand that companies use cost savings tactics in order to boost profits but please don't in the expense of the consumer. It is quite clear that Well Care outsourced their customer service to The Philippines, fine and dandy, but at least contract with a company that has employees with an excellent command of the English language. November 16, 2018 at 23:19:52, I called Medicare and enrolled in the Well Care Value Script (PDP). Since I had not received my ID cards from Well Care, I called Well Care 888-550-5252. I was advised that my application was declined because had not provided proof that I have Medicare Part A and Part B.

Since I had enrolled thru Medicare, I thought that would have that information, then I discovered that my surname was just the letter "C", not even the beginning of my surname. After three weeks of dealing with ignorant, not knowing anything, individuals in "Customer Service", I asked to speak with a supervisors and was transferred to a representative in the good old USA, had an excellent command of the English language however I was advised that I would have to speak to the enrollment department which was in The Philippines.

I went along the charade and was transferred to Natalie who assured me that my account would be activated by noon today. She gave me confirmation number. I called today, Saturday, afternoon and was told that I was told that I would have to wait until Monday because the escalation department was closed on the weekend. I stayed on the line after the call to participate in the survey which at the end of the survey I was asked if I would recommend Well Care and I replied, "NEVER!!!"

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

A medicare representative recommended WellCare to my mother as the plan that would best suit her, and enrolled her. We thought all was well until we received a letter from WellCare telling us that she was cancelled. I have spent in excess of 5 hours on the phone with them, only to be put on hold, disconnected, or being transferred. I don't know why they are called "customer service" because they do absolutely nothing but transfer the call to another foreigner who also does absolutely nothing. They are dealing with senior citizens' health and well being and obviously don't care who they hurt. 0 stars is my review.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

This company uses bait & switch through the Medicare.gov site for open enrollment. Their website is impossible to navigate and their telephone "Customer service" is horrible (located in Manila, Philippines with huge language problem). Keep transferring with long waits and no results or answers. I have 1 script for a common drug that Humana filled with no problems for 2 years. They refuse to give a way for my doc to submit prescription. Now I'm stuck with WC with no benefits and automatic deductions from Social Security that I can't cancel. Will have to pay full price for my med. over the counter for a full year! I really regret switching! Will definitely drop this useless WellCare band of thieves next open enrollment period!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I had a bad experience with WellCare and would not recommend them. I will start Medicare next month. I went through a well known Medicare assistance company and based on my situation they recommended WellCare. I was signed up Receive notice I was accepted and also received my Pharmacy card from them with member numbers. I called last night to enquire about billing and was told my application was cancelled. I asked why and was put on hold for over 20 minutes and I hung up. I called immediately back and got a different service representative. Was told again my application had been cancelled with no explanation. I asked to speak to a supervisor and they could not produce one. I will add at this time it seemed like the call center was outsourced overseas as it was difficult to communicate with the service representatives.

I asked to have a Supervisor call me back. They said they would arrange it. After hanging up I immediately called the Medicare assistance company I used before and explained my problem. I told them to find a different company that I would never do business with WellCare regardless if it cost more with someone else. So I ask everyone to consider what might be the most important part of your insurance function and that is to be able to communicate with them when you have a problem or concern or medical need. I have now gone with Aetna for couple dollars more a month but invaluable peace of mind. I was very concerned that I was three weeks out from starting Medicare and my application was cancelled and no (ZERO) communication. Can't say if this is normal or abnormal customer service for them but I will not take a chance with them.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I called 3 times and each time I was put on hold for 20 minutes without speaking to a physical representative. What is going on with this company? I’m also seeing others with a problem similar to mine or worse. How are we to get information or answers to our situations? At first they sent my card with a PCP name on it I have never heard of. Thank God it was before the beginning of 2019. They did send one with the correct name on it. Now, my dad just received his card on the 4th, which is already 2019, with the wrong PCP on it. And I need to contact them for a change so he can continue to see his dr. My dad is 93 years old. So, with all these complaints, how do we report this? This is totally ridiculous! This is crazy!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

January 1, started WellCare as my Part D Medicare drug plan. I called WellCare to go over procedures. I waited 30 minutes and a person in the Philippines. They knew nothing of medications or exceptions.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Have just become a new member and trying to get our drug plan set up. Great deal of difficulty getting someone on the phone and when someone does answer they are difficult to understand. I know companies do outsource but for medical plans think there should not be a language barrier. When I have been connected, have been on hold for over an hour waiting for support. I believe I understand now why the plan is so inexpensive.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I just joined WellCare and this will be my first monthly payment. I have called 3 numbers and I finally reached the right number, but I was transferred 3 times to people who were suppose to take my payment. After 30 minutes of hold time I just hung up. I have to pay 10 cents a minute for my phone and I wasted $3.00 being placed on hold. I have never heard of a company this large who doesn't seem to care about getting paid or who makes it almost impossible. Can anyone please tell me of a easier way to pay my monthly bill? I refuse to let them take it out of my checks automatically as I have read horror stories online about using that option.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I signed up for Medicare prescription coverage because WellCare covered all of my medications and their online pharmacy is CVS Caremark. I did not receive anything but a bill, no card or description of what the plan covered. Customer service took 59 minutes to respond and I was unable to understand the representative. I managed to translate enough of what he was saying to be able to request an identification card to use at a pharmacy. Card ordered Dec. 26. Arrived Jan. 7, I attempted to sign up for an online account. All went well until I tried to sign in back in: account information incorrect, temporary password (issue by company after answering all security questions) did not work, new temporary password could it be issued because all information was invalid, new registration could not be done because I was, "already registered".

Called customer service and was put on hold for 27 min 29 sec, transferred after struggling to make the representative understand my problem and put on hold for 31 min and 25 sec. Hung up and tried calling back and after 53 min and 26 sec gave up! Will change companies next year even if I have to pay more. The representative speak very broken English and seem to have as much trouble understand me as I have understanding them.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I've tried about a dozen times to connect to a service representative to change my PCP to no avail. Just keeps playing some crappy muzak. Waited up to 30 minutes then I hung up. Nobody ever came online. Also WellCare automatically gave me a PCP that have never been to and I can't seem to be able to change it to my doctor which is on the list of participating doctors. Now it's too late to change to another Advantage plan. Bad mistake signing up for WellCare. Will never use WellCare again. Not a good choice of signing up for WellCare.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I have been TexanPlus for two years, they are now WellCare/TexanPlus, I have been trying for four days to get customer service. A robot man or woman answers, ask you a question for you ID, well I give my ID number, that's not good enough, then they ask for Medicare ID, well I won't give that info out. So they ran over the menu options, ok I pick one, then put on hold. Never Never Never does anyone pick up. So I waste my phone mins on hold. Get tired of holding and I hang up. Never do I get a Human Being. I even tried calling on Saturday, today several times - it's the same as before. I am worried since WellCare took over TexanPlus. I never had any trouble with them. They cannot have that heavy of a call load that no one can answer. I only hope I didn't make a mistake by selecting them.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I am only 3 days into this new insurance and I am so sorry. I had to prove that I had continuous coverage since I turned 65. I did that - by mail, over the phone, and by fax to no avail. When I said that I should not have to pay the penalty for noncoverage, WellCare told me that Medicare will bill me. But the bogus letters come from WC. Today I needed to get a script filled. WC gave me a bogus fax no for them, put my doctor's office on hold for forty minutes before she hung up. I tried thru the customer line and hung up after thirty minutes. I have 4 doctors who will have to deal with this. Embarrassing and time wasting. I still can't get my Meds. Does anyone know how I can get out of this?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I have been trying to get this company to pay for blood work that Quest Diagnostics is billing me for on an October 2017 office visit for an annual physical and PSA exam which is suppose to be free under the Evidence of coverage terms in 2017 and after filling two grievances in the past 15 months where they denied my claim, they are now making it almost impossible for me to file an outside 3rd. party appeal. I've spent over four hours on the phone today with their customer service department and spoke to three different people who all either disconnected me or twice transferred me to a survey pickup destination instead of to a supervisor who I requested to handle my complaint.

Out of the four plus hours, only 10 minutes total was spent speaking to the three customer service reps, all the rest of the time I had to listen to crackling, static sounding music that would drive a person insane. The lab that did the blood work is ready to put the amount in denial up for collections and my excellent 830 credit score is now on the line due to their incompetence. No one should have to wait more than 5 minutes getting through to a customer service rep. Most of the time you get someone who cannot speak English too well and this adds to the frustration immensely.

I went on the web today to research doing an appeal on my WellCare grievance under the terms of the agreement with them as a last option and the information that they had there just takes you to a dysfunctional not even active site. How does a company like this get to operate in New York State let alone become certified to be a program associated with Medicare? Save your time, money and sanity and don't even think about doing business with this company.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

First of all, if it were possible, I would give WellCare a 0 rating. Customer service is a misnomer for the department that is supposed to help its customers. My doctor’s office FAXed a renewal to WellCare. I waited a few days, heard nothing, then called the office again. I was assured that the prescription had been sent, but it had been returned for missing information. The receptionist said she had double-checked the info before sending it and had indeed provided all that was needed, but she FAXed it again. I waited a few more days and called WellCare. I was told that the FAX had been received, but the rep did not know why it had not been filled. He put me on hold while he “researched” the problem. A half hour later, the line went dead.

I called again and was now told that the FAX had not been received at which point I asked to talk with a supervisor. I have verification from three people that it was received, but, apparently, it has been lost, which means that I now have to pay the deductible and the co-pay (over $500 rather than the $80 I should have paid) because it is past January 1. If WellCare had done its job properly, this would not have happened. The supervisor with whom I spoke verified that the doctor’s office had used the correct FAX number, so she had no idea why WellCare did not have the renewal.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I have tried to cancel my insurance three times and each time I was told they hadn’t approved the cancellation yet and twice they proceeded to tell me how to sign up for insurance!! I even wrote a cancellation letter. Their representatives are heavily accented and don’t seem to understand what I’m talking about. The connections are awful and the hold times are long. Don’t deal with them.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

WellCare is the most incompetent company I have ever seen. I do not have their insurance and will never want it. For almost a year they have been calling my phone number looking for Debra **. I have REPEATEDLY told them they are calling the WRONG NUMBER. I have saved numerous voicemails and instant messages from this company as proof. No matter who I speak to, it is a total waste of time. No one there does a thing to correct the problem. If they can’t manage to remove my phone number and update their records, I would hate to think of what else they are incapable of doing for their customers.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

9 calls. Been on hold for 8 hours. My insurance agent warned me about them. I did not listen. I have talked to 5 individuals today after being on hold for minimum of 30 minutes each time just to be put on hold again. The people who answer the phone are unable to help. They have to forward you on to another department that never answers.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

We have been under this plan for two years, only recently found out that after paying our monthly premiums they have NOT BEEN PAYING A PENNY ON MY MONTHLY DRUGS. Called them three times, spent 45 mins to an hour with no results. Their representatives were not able to speak proper English. I finally asked to speak to a person who could speak better English. After being on hold, I was connected to an English speaking person who said that that they could do nothing. My plan has over a $450.00 that I have to pay before they pay a small amount on my monthly drug bill. I tried to cancel knowing full well that I would be penalized but would well be worth the penalty to get rid of them. They are worthless as a drug company. They take your monthly money and won’t pay a cent on your drug. This is a terrible company. How in the world do they get by with this???

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

We have tried to cancel this insurance three times and to no avail. We signed up for it after being told that it would save us a bit and immediately got suspicious and told them we were not interested. We have had to call back three times, wait on hold for a long time and told each time they would call us back to disenroll us. Of course we never got a call back. Today our packet came from them along with a letter stating that the premium would be taken out of our SS check. We had never given them permission to do this.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

If you are thinking of signing up for WellCare Part D... stop and run away FAST!! Their customer service is the WORST I have ever experienced with any organization. The owners of the company should be totally ashamed of their outsourcing their most important customer service call center to the far east. You simply cannot understand anyone you talk to and I had a problem with double paying my premium with social security deduction and separate payments to WellCare since they told me it could take months for the premium to come out of my check. I did not realize it was already coming out of check and was still paying them.

After hours and hours of talking with these people overseas and being lied to over and over, they told me they could not process any refund and it was up to me to deal with social security. If you want your blood pressure to go thru the roof and be totally and completely frustrated go and sign up. I CANNOT wait until open enrollment in October next year to get the hell out of this excuse of a company!!!

WellCare Company Information