3.5/5 (311 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About WellCare

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

WellCare Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WellCare?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about WellCare?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

Well Care is great coverage and gives dental vision spending card but you can't actually use the card. I've tried multiple times without being able to still months later. The times I've called I have waited way too long for them to answering the phone being put on wait.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2021

Seniors have a hard time as it is: Wellcare came to my rescue. Had issues with the Element Dental office saying they didn't get authorization from the insurance co. The insurance had to (3x) call the Dental office (Office disconnected) and they had the authorization for 13 working days. Then they said 6 weeks for an appointment which takes to the new year. Wellcare help me find a new Dentist and what I needed to do. I saw a lot of reviews about Wellcare ins. and I give them 5 stars on the Dental part for sure. That's Wellcare for hiring good caring people.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

This is my first year with them. I'm on Medicare, and WellCare is my Part D insurance. It's reasonably priced, and has paid good share of my insurance (so far, my $20 monthly insurance charge has saved me more than $20 out-of-pocket charge for prescriptions).

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

Have supplemental insurance as well. Between the two, have never had a problem with getting the things I need, i.e., prescriptions filled, doctor visits, surgery, etc. and paid for. One less thing for me to worry about. They also keep you up to date on any changes to their policy, well ahead of time, so you're not scrambling last minute to make any adjustments.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

Remarkable. I have had some unusual ailments, and WellCare has come thru like a champ. As a Medicare participant, WellCare fills the gap wonderfully from prescription drugs to chiropractic to major medical and more. I highly recommend to anyone who is seeking REAL HEALTH CARE COVERAGE.

Original review: May 11, 2022

Hands down worst customer service I have EVER experienced. I have a highly stressful job and am described by my peers as calm and having the patience of a saint my entire career. Wellcare customer service nearly drove me off the edge. I was on the phone for 2 FULL HOURS just to help my client update her address post move and request her new Rx card be sent to her new address, completely simple request that should take 2 minutes, not 1 hour and 46 minutes.

My client and I were on the phone for 35 minutes, gave the rep her new address, requested a card be sent, and then we're told he updated the address and confirmed verbal permission that they can speak to me on her behalf as she is hard of hearing with other health conditions that would make it difficult for her to be on the phone fighting with Wellcare for 2 hours. He confirmed the request to send a new ID card to her new address and THEN said he doesn't handle that.

Transferred to THREE additional reps where no lie I had to verify her new address no more than 10 TIMES - I literally thought I was the twilight zone. My office mate heard the whole conversation and thought I was a broken record. They even made me call my client back and verify THE EXACT SAME information we did already in the first 30 minutes of this tortuous call. God forbid you have any actual problem AND how to they expect seniors with no support to go through this alone!? It's a nonsensical labyrinth. I can't speak to the actual coverage but the customer service in and of itself would make me tell others to run far away. This is my first negative review of anything ever. Thanks.

Original review: May 5, 2022

I got on Medicare because I got on Social Security Disability because of a chronic illness that I got back in 2013. Was approved for SSDI in 2016. I was around 57. I had previous Medicare Part D plans and for the most part no problems. I discovered Good Rx when the insurance wouldn't cover a drug. Before I got on Wellcare in 2020, I was thinking about not even getting on any drug plan, because most of my medicines have been on Good Rx for cheaper than the insurance. There was one very expense PPI for Gerd. The drug name is **. Silver Scripts approved it for a tier 2 or 3 and my portion was $20. It was the only PPI that worked on me.

Once all of the PPIs all had gotten generic approved then they couldn't cover ** under that tier because it was the only one not available on generic. So at the time my GI Dr got samples of ** to give me for over 5 years. The best GI Dr and staff. Recently they had to stop because ** was available in generic name is **. Here is the only time I really used it. Good Rx is always cheaper than Wellcare. I think there were 2 that I used with my insurance as they are on tier 1. First it wasn't on the formulary the generic but the brand ** was. So my Dr's Medical Assistant did prior denied because of all the other cheap PPI like **, ** and etc. So then the MA had to send in an appeal which was approved. Being on tier 4 would be subject to my Ded which was 480.

So I called customer service at Wellcare. I use to get intelligent representatives, now I don't know if it's a language thing but it seems like they don't know what they are doing. I am very patient with them because I believe they try to help me but the Insurance is one of my worst experiences with any company that I've dealt with in a while. I finally got that my Dr could request a tier exception. We got one approved for tier 2 but instead of the generic it was the brand. I didn't realized this at first but when Walgreens put in medication it was picking up the appeal because that was approved for the generic **.

The brand ** I thought would be approved. No. When my Dr's office called them they said the tier exception should of never been approved. They had denied it now because it's not on the formulary list. They already had the appeal approved. I have Gerd extremely bad and my Dr said I need this medicine or else something needs to be done. My recent EGD had 5 places on my esophagus that were suspect and my Dr did biopsies on 4/14/22. They showed a lot of erosion from my Gerd.

Anyone out there who really wants fair Rx coverage stay away from there. I mean the customer service really tried but unfortunately it's over their heads. I did get the tier level approved mailed to me. Seems like they should have to honor that. I wish I had of known that the generic ** would be covered. I tried to tell a story how this insurance did me but the customer service was really trying. Too bad they won't allow customers to talk to the people that are actually doing these different Auth. Thanks for this platform.

Original review: May 3, 2022

I reviewed Medicare replacement plans with my provider’s facility and the WellCare (HMO) plan seemed a good fit, just need referrals if I go out of network (recent telephone conversation was told a referral doesn’t matter and to call WellCare first). I am on a medication for anxiety (have been for years, never an issue in MA). My new Doctor in TN ordered blood work, some was performed in the facility lab but not the “extensive” drug testing my Doctor demanded, stating it is a requirement here because of the huge drug problem. This testing was sent to an outside lab. Needless to say I received a large bill from the lab. This has been an extremely frustrating and stressful situation, after many calls to find out why I am receiving a bill.

I spoke to WellCare several times, and a supervisor 2 weeks ago, have yet to receive a return call. I was never told this test would be sent out and after 30+ years of medical billing and have never heard of a Doctor/facility informing patients when they send out blood work for specific tests nor is a patient obligated to ask what blood tests go where and is the laboratory in network!!! This is just another ploy/scam/deceptive for WellCare not to pay a claim in full!! I have needed CT scan for lung cancer, mammogram, etc. and putting these off because now wondering if they will be denied because the radiologist is out of network, wouldn’t surprise me. Shame on WellCare for dishonest and deceptive practices toward the elderly.

Original review: April 13, 2022

As others have stated: Seemed like a good plan. Picked them from the Medicare plan site. However here are some of the problems. Their customer service representatives have English as a second language. Hence hard to understand and hard to speak to them. Next issue is the cost of drugs are higher than the Medicare website.

Finally, one of my generic drugs is a tier 3. The cost is $42 a month. However, if I go to my local pharmacy which is a preferred pharmacy and not present my card, I pay $17.50 a month. A big difference. When I brought this up as a grievance, I received a letter describing it as a tier 3 and I should understand the costs. So in essence, I am paying the premium to be charged higher prices.

Original review: March 30, 2022

We felt we had done our homework including using a broker before we picked the Wellcare value script plan; however, as other customers have pointed out, once they started using the plan, the tier levels for a lot of the drugs I use were changed to another level, resulting in my paying more than I would if I use Good Rx coupon. I will do what I have to do to bring my costs down before I can change my Part D to a better company. Lastly, in most cases you simply cannot understand the representative on the other end of the line. Customer service is not high with this company outside of the enrollment period. Stay away from this company!

WellCare Company Information