1.88/5
Based on 49 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

49 WellCare Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Yes WellCare has a healthy reward program and you get reward for taking care of your health. And I had did all and I have got no reward for my blood pressure and weight loss not being on drugs a lot should have got about a 120 for the year and then the extra help is none really. I need help to get to my doctor appointment and paying my copay so it is a waste of time.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I have been a WellCare subscriber since 2011. They were good at the onset. Since 2015 they have outsource their call center to the Philippines and their workforce they are very rude, disrespectful and unknowledgeable of the Medicare laws. I am truly disgusted with WellCare. I now just write letters when I receive an EOB or bill from a provider of service.

They have sunk so low as to not, I mean not pay my primary care provider without explanation. I believe they are stealing the funds from all of our accounts and pocketing the money. I of course cannot prove it. However, I believe that Medicare should audit this Medicare managed company immediately if not yesterday. They are not a good company and should not be in business helping Seniors or the disabled handle their insurance needs any longer. Every day I wait for the mail to tell me I owe more money to another provider for service or I am going to collections for something my medicare managed provider should have paid for.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I went to see a specialist and the company paid only what Medicare would've paid if I had no supplemental insurance at all. Very shabby coverage. I'll be checking into other options. I'm low income and the government pays my fees for their lack of insurance. I received about $1000.00 in my part to pay. If I'm low income, where will I come up with this money? I'm going to notify the government agency about this company also. They are ripping the government and the Medicare recipients off. So sad.

Original review: July 24, 2018

The worst. If you phone customer service they shunt you all over the globe. On one call I was put through to the Philippines, requested a representative in the United States, and they put me through to India. When you do get a US representative they are usually not native English speakers and usually have a difficult time understanding your questions. The so called supervisors or managers (if you manage to get one) are equally ignorant and unhelpful. When I moved it took several calls to get my address changed and when I called to change my provider to my new location I was placed on eternal hold. I finally gave up. Thankfully I'm healthy.

When I selected a new provider on the website it was changed by someone to a different provider at my old location. No one, including a supposed supervisor, could tell me who made the change or why It was made. This is the worst run company I have ever seen, and I have seen plenty. Stay away from this company, especially if you really need medical care.

Original review: July 14, 2018

WellCare has drivers that can take you to and from your appointments. That is fine unless they are required to go beyond the expected mile approved radius. My son has 2 appointments in July of 2018. They assured me it was taken care of. Transferred me to approximately 10 different CSRs when questioned further about the transportation because at that point they had no clue he was scheduled. Then refused to let me speak with a manager, had me in tears and were screaming at me. My son has a head injury. They will tell you what you want to hear because they do not train their CSRs well at all. They have also given me numbers for in network doctors that are no longer in existence. Will be searching for another insurance company when open enrollment is available.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WellCare?

Original review: June 30, 2018

This company's website is impossible to navigate. It's very sloppy. There is no email for customer service, although the website claims they have one. Leaving two contact phone numbers on their web form is frustrating. One of two won't accept it. They don't follow through on their incentives. I've met several and was told they were in route which was untrue. I will be going back to my FORMER provider during open enrollment this fall.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I called WellCare to get a psychiatrist within their network, they gave me numbers that were no longer good. They then tried to send me to Jencare who stated that I needed to take a class before I could be assigned to a Doctor. Every Doctor they gave me were Interns. I stated to them the severity of my problem, but to no avail, these people are not trying to help the sick. It's been two weeks and I'm still trying to get a Doctor who will take their insurance, they use neighborhood health clinics, and Interns. What a waste of money they should be put out of business.

Original review: June 11, 2018

While I type this I'm on my third request to extend my prescriptions while I'm traveling. Their automatic voice system does not recognize dates or numbers. Their personnel doesn't have a clue what you want and transfer you constantly, placing you on hold for excess of 10 min. Next year when my renewal is up, I will be looking for another provider.

Original review: May 24, 2018

This is very long but worth reading. FIVE months of issues with them. Starting in January 2018. I received a letter saying I was insured. Clearly in black and white. I went to the designated pharmacy and was told I did not have coverage. The pharmacy gave me a print out of WellCare's denial. I spent well over an hour on the phone with their call center. The person I spoke to made no sense & kept raising his voice as if I were deaf.

I spoke to him again when I got home. He said in spite of what the letter said, I was not covered. I spent another hour + the next day with two other reps at their company. No one was able to help me figure out what was going on and how it could be remedied. Next day I spoke to Medicare & was told everything looked good on their end and that they would be filing a case with WellCare's escalation Dept.

Once I had this information, I spoke to a woman in that Dept & she assured me everything would be taken care of by her. Next, I get a bill saying I'm behind in January's payment. I called her again & suggested she do whatever was necessary to actually correct this. She said she would but obviously did not. A few days ago I received a letter from WellCare telling me that they are missing a payment from me for April 28th.

I signed into my online banking and every payment I made for February, March and April had cleared. I know this is actually happening because they did not get a payment from me in January. Because I WAS NOT COVERED that month and no one ever fixed the issue. This is a dreadful way to be treated by any company. They are clueless from the top down. They do not merit even 1 star.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Do not & I repeat do not sign up for WellCare Texas. They have all kinds of tricky schemes such as, “You did not obtain pre authorization” in order to get out of paying for the services you think you are entitled to. I have been trying to book a mammogram. 1st I was told, no facility in you are by the Philippines agent. I asked for a US agent, who said I could use Solis Mammogram. I asked if 3D mammogram was covered, the agent said no but gave me all the info to book at Solis Mammogram.

I booked & got my PCP to send a referral. Upon arriving at Solis Mammogram I advised that WellCare does not pay for a 3D mammogram. They said, “We only do 3D mammograms.” So the circus with WellCare starts again & I either have to request that my PCP submit a pre authorization approval for a 3D mammogram (of course WellCare will deny it) or I have to try & locate a Mammogram location that will do the regular (not 3D) Mammogram. All this after 2 months of trying to have a mammogram. I am way overdue & am very concerned as last year I had to have 2 biopsies done.

The way that WellCare get out of paying your bill is they say, “You or your Dr. Failed to get preauthorization”. My PCP says he does not get pre authorizations so then it becomes impossible for you to get your normal yearly exams & have WellCare pay. Even though they get their monthly premium from me automatically deducted. I am warning you, do not & I repeat do not sign up for WellCare. You will regret it. I have more situation like I was told that there is no Urgent Care in my zip code that they could recommend. I think WellCare is a scam to get your money & then deny your medical services. That way everyone pays but them. WellCare are scammers & look for ways how to collect your marriage new & not allow you to get services.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I was told I had two free dental visits per year, with no copay. I made an apt, to be denied the first time because I was late. The second time, I was billed 31.00 which I paid, (should have protested) then later they billed me another 217.00. Insurance said they denied the claim due to the dentist not being in the plan till March, I went in Jan. I filed an appeal, after calling several times. I had trouble getting the nurse practitioner ok'd, with writing scripts. Went to the foot dr, they cancelled the second apt, due to trouble getting their money out of the insurance co. I have a procedure that I have to have done every 3 mos, it did cost me 500.00 with my precious co, this company billed me 6,000.00 +. HUGE DIFFERENCE, I am now going to a chiropractor, which is supposed to cost 20,00. I fully expect to have trouble out of this too, given my past experiences.

Original review: May 7, 2018

WellCare uses bait and switch! Once you join they know you can't leave for a year till next open enrollment! You never know from month to month what your co payments will be, except they will be higher! Rarely will approve treatments by specialist! No one is in customer service speaks fluent English! They are a sorry company!!!

Original review: April 5, 2018

I was forced to become a member by Social Security Disability. I have had nothing but problems with this company. I have been a member for approx. 1 1/2 years. I called to change my bank card information, and they told me I was terminated for non-payment in January, February, and March. We had a three way call between a supervisor there, my bank, and myself. The bank told them they never sent in a request for automatic Withdrawal. We then hung up with the bank. Now even though the bank confirmed that it was WellCare's screw up, I was told I would have to file a grievance and I would receive a response in 30 days. When I asked why I have to file a grievance when the bank confirmed it was their screw up the supervisor told me they did not screw up. This is the worst company in the world. STAY AWAY NO MATTER WHAT.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Suddenly dropped from their plan without any information beforehand. Having their coverage for two years without any problems, then suddenly told I am behind on payment (never got a bill), and customers must renew every year. Also now told I am ineligible to re-enroll although nothing has changed. Now unable to get needed medications that keep me safe, and alive. Oh well because of this company I could drop dead as I write this. Do they care? No.

Original review: March 3, 2018

My wife went in to have a cardiac stress test and we were billed 196 dollars because they said we had a 290 dollar copay as outpatients. I complained but went through their book and actually found where they said we were only liable for a 50 dollar copay. I have talked to them at least 6 times, filed a complaint which they said we lost because everything was good. I am waiting on an escalated complaint where I keep mentioning the 2018 evidence of coverage actually lists a cardiac stress test and says it is only a 50 dollar copay. They job out their customer service and I am not sure that the people who answer are being taught to say anything but no to customers. Poor service, and they will not live up to what they say they will pay. My advice is to find another advantage program. I know I will.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Both my wife and I are members of Wellcare. After the first of this year we noticed our automatic checking deduction did not happen for my wife for the new higher amount in Jan 2018 and we got a late notice stating we were on direct billing, not auto deducting. Since my wife was working and I normally handle bills, I called. First off it was terrible trying to get through to a live operator and when I did he had such a strong accent I had a hard time understanding him. I tried to explain the problem and although I could make the payment to him on the phone (daaa), he told me depending on how we set up auto payment, whether on the phone or by mail, it needed to be done again??? My account was fine, but apparently we may have done hers otherwise. You would think this should be seamless either way year to year for efficiency.

He kept telling me that he would need to speak to my wife even though I told him once she was at work. Even being a member myself and living with her? Really! Having a hard time with the accent was frustrating enough, after all I did press one for English. So now she will need call herself and probably go through the same conversation and I'm guessing have to submit a hard copy form to make the change permanent. We will revisit our prescription options when renewal occurs for sure. Wake up Wellcare, put options on website.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

The worst. The absolute worst. It takes an hour on the phone talking to computers to pay a bill. Then you get someone from India (named "Jack" of course) who tells you you can't pay your husband's bill. Then when I used my husband's name and said I was Walt. He took all the credit card info but not the name or account number of my husband whose premium I was paying. He said he "didn't need it". Didn't even know what an account number was! When I said I would stay on for the survey he hung up on me. Next time I will gladly pay more for a different plan. Never get this plan! It doesn't even pay for much. Definitely not worth it.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I started with this company when it was Windsor in 2014. Then WellCare bought it out. I recently found out I have no coverage because they said my Medicaid was dropped. So I call Medicaid and found out that in fact it was WellCare that was the problem. So I call WellCare and they confirmed that I still had Medicaid. WellCare said they got notice on Dec. 1st... they didn't send a letter me until 12/27/17 to notify me of the problem. I got it on 1/6/18 11 days after it was supposedly mailed. In the past 2 years no problems. Now this. Reading the reviews I can see why they have a low rating. No one likes to be scammed.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

WellCare Medicare Part D - Poor coverage; for example, cough syrup was excluded. WellCare claimed Medicare didn’t cover cough syrup. Premium was low but prescription prices were high. Although insurance rolled over from year to year without my reapplying, last year, after several years on the plan, WellCare continued my coverage but didn’t continue the auto deduct payments from an account I don’t use for day to day business. I was surprised when I realized they canceled my insurance for non-payment. They would not work with me at all; it was like talking to a stone wall.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

They simply will not let you cancel your membership…all kinds of run around. Letter to them must be exact or they will continue to bill you. The information that they require is hard to find. When I asked for my Wellcare number after giving them my ss, dob, address they transferred me to a supervisor that of course does not pick up. I was in luck and found my card…pasted a copy in a fax…to cancel. A real scam. So glad I cancelled. Would never get tangled up with them again. They have a real problem with English.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I was put in this stupid WellCare plan by accident. Do not choose this plan. They tell you they sent bus passes then you never receive it in the mail, they say they aren't responsible for missing or lost bus passes. It shouldn't take 5 days to receive a pass to go to your Dr. Appointment, yet you're telling people it come up that they have to ride the bus. We are missing important appointments because you're too cheap to pay for a cab. Not to mention they don't cover most of your medications. I wouldn't advise anyone to choose this plan. I can't wait til my plan end. Back to Sunshine Health I go. I didn't ask to be on this stupid plan anyway. The employees on the team are so rude for the Transportation dept. You trying to talk and they try to talk over you. So unprofessional and rude.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I received a letter saying I had enrolled in WellCare. I didn't. I am on PACE and my meds cost nothing. It said to call Social Security. I did. They said they don't handle this, call Medicare. No answer. Went on the internet to get WellCare's number. Got it Oscar... Right. That's his name LOL. Said he would transfer me to customer service. I got a young lady, Samantha another name right??? LOL I couldn't understand her so I ask to be transferred to someone who spoke better English. Waited 5 minutes. Samantha came back on and said she could find anyone. So Samantha I told her I didn't enroll in this and not to deducted any premium from my Social Security check. She didn't know what to do.

I just received a membership card in the mail. Duh? They have no email address and no office. Just a PO box. I sent a certified letter today to cancel this unwanted membership. Any suggestions? I only get $500.00 a month and want to take $37.90 from me. I asked for a copy of the person who signed me up. She said it was a relative. I don't have any relatives left. I am the only one in the house. She didn't know what to say. I insisted on a copy of the request. She said she could find that. Yeah right. Government should be notified. I would not give my SS number or my Medicare number. They had this ** on the letter.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

My 80-year-old mother went to a meeting at her apartment because they sent a flyer offering "free glasses and dentures". They passed around bags of over-the-counter medication and postcards to the room full of seniors. Unfortunately, all the seniors who signed had their health care changed to WellCare Value HMO. Nobody asked about her current health care plan or even if her doctor was in the HMO. She had to pay 2.5X her normal costs for drugs due to this WellCare scam. I got her switched back but WellCare denies any fault in this scam on the most vulnerable in our community. What a shameful way to con folks into signing up for your health care. I would strongly recommend you stay far away from WellCare.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

My husband has been ill for 6 years. He is now on his 30th day stay in the hospital and will return with hospice. WellCare started by denying certain medications that worked for him. Even when the Dr. sent a paper stating that this type of medication worked best for his condition they still denied. It has been a battle with them on tests, on medication for treatment. He has been in and out of the hospital every 2 months for 2 years. He is an amputee and can no longer walk. They denied payment for the ambulance service the last two times. Even though the one time we were on the interstate and the state police called them for him. He was in AFIB. This time he was on a ventilator, the 5 Dr’s and 3 social workers worked on having him sent to a nursing home to get strong enough to come home. They did approve.

The nursing home didn't have his medication for three days and had no idea what was going on with him so he fell trying to help himself and was sent back to hospital. Now, he has ischemic heart disease and is in final stages of emphysema. He is only 58. The man cannot even move without his heart racing up to around 200. I came home from the hospital yesterday to find another charming letter from WellCare denying payment to the nursing home and that is when I decided to get a lawyer. The Dr’s have told him that he does not have much time left and are trying to get him into this other hospital for a 30-day stay and home with hospice but again we are fighting the almighty WellCare. The hospital said they were one of the worst insurance companies they had dealt with. Home health care said the same about them.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

My mother just passed away. Called first. I get someone can't speak English, transfers me to rude girl, hangs up on me when I was asking questions. Worst customer service I have ever had. Would not WellCare to insurance my pet if I had one. Tried to call agent in Memphis, TN. Left voicemail, no one returned my call.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Yesterday I got a call from CVS, actually would not have picked up because I do not get my meds from CVS. I get them at Publix and I have no intention of changing pharmacies. I have been with Publix since 2011. I know all of them and they know me and they are very kind. CVS is just about useless. Not only was the call totally out of bounds I am over the top mad. I have talked to WellCare many times about the CVS situation and that I prefer Publix and they tell me no problem Publix is on their list. So why did CVS call me in the early morning to see why I have not filled my prescription for **. Just where did they get my phone number and a view of my prescriptions that did or did not need filling. My ** was not filled because I have enough to last another week. No problem because my ** and other drugs are free at Publix. It is simply a matter of no time and having enough.

The recording from CVS chastised me for not taking my Diabetic prescriptions. So let me say this to CVS right now. Who the hell do you think you are calling me when I do not use you. Why should you have private information about the drugs I have along with my phone number, address, age, birthdate, etc. To say I am livid is an understatement. Trust me I have not confronted WellCare with this yet but there are many problems that have me furious. I will also be CVS directly to talk to them about a legal action because they have accessed my personal information without my permission. At this point, I may companies. I forgot to say that when I signed into the WellCare site today a CVS logo came up telling me to order my **. I have this to say to CVS, it will be a cold day in hell before I even go into one of their stores again for anything. I hope to watch their descent into nonexistence.

The Customer service sucks. I called today and got a male I could barely understand to ask about my OTC medicines which were ordered on the 1st. They generally arrive here on between the 8th to the 10th so I waited until the 14th to call to ask. These medicines say in the WellCare system that they were shipped on the day I ordered the meds. So not here by the 14th gives me reason to question. He kept yelling Hurricane at me and I kept saying there was no hurricane there until the 9th and that is 8 days after, according to your system was shipped on the first of September.

So hurricane does not wash. If they had shipped when they said they would be here end of subject. So I will be working on this a bit more after I scream bloody murder at WellCare for rude employee and lousy service. All of this is totally unacceptable. I am sure I will soon change my Medicare to someone who treats medical patients as they should be treated.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

As long as I have had insurance with this company. I have always had to pay out of pocket for prescriptions. They should be free. For 2 years they have been saying I have private insurance(that I don't have) so they don't have to pay for the prescriptions. The pharmacy customer service is horrible. They are rude and can't tell you anything about what's going on and I could die without this medication. It's so sad how companies do when you have Medicaid. They need to do away with this company.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

If I could give no stars, I would. It is true that it is really difficult to get anyone at WellCare that speaks fluent English. I always ask for an English speaking person, then stay on hold until they find one, if they find one. I have been trying to get them to explain why a claim from 2/1/17 has not been paid. I only know they denied the claim because the company that provided the service keeps sending me the unpaid bill on a monthly basis. They state that WellCare denied service because the service was performed prior to my coverage. I've been covered since 2011, the service, an MRI, was in 2017. WellCare has never send me a denial letter, when I call regarding this issue they have told me, at least twice, that it was sent to their appeals department.

They have never sent me any notices of any appeals findings. On 7/20/17 I sent an email demanding that they send me a denial letter, explaining the reasons for the denial of the claim, and written notices of both of the appeals department findings, by today 8/7/17, or I would file an official complaint against them. They ignored my email. They just don't care. This is the worst company I have ever done business with. In addition, there doesn't seem to be any information online as to how to file an official complaint against a Medicare insurance provider. I keep looking for someone in the government that will accept a complaint against WellCare but there just doesn't seem to be any help for me. WellCare deserves zero stars.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I've tried on numerous occasions and can't seem to get anyone that I can understand? Are they outsourcing their company customer service??? This is nuts. I'm going to switch my Medicare RX asap. Absolutely TERRIBLE!

Original review: July 24, 2017

WellCare Medicare Customer Service IS NOT customer service but the worst attempt at outsourcing services I have EVER seen! This company does not deserve one star. I wish you had a half star for this company's customer service. When you call them take a pillow to the phone with you so that you can prop your arm and head up. (average wait on line is 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours per question.) Also prepare for the following:

1. 98% of the time the person who answers will not speak English or be in United States. 2. If you ask for another phone number to call, 95% of the time they will route you around to other people who do not speak English either! 3. If you then ask for their name and to speak to a supervisor, they will make you wait an additional 30minutes. 4. The echo sounds like they are being held captive in a basement with only a pencil and one sheet of paper to use per call. 5. 2017 Healthcare is scary enough for all of us out there who have worked ALL OUR LIVES and are now retired and at the mercy of government and the money hungry healthcare providers who do "creative billing" at every turn. 6. A person on welfare who never worked a day in their life or paid "anything" into social security has

more and better benefits than I do. They can even go to the dentist. I hate WellCare Medicare (NON) Customer (NON) Service!!!

WellCare Company Information

www.wellcare.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business