Kaiser Permanente Insurance

Compare Health Insurance Companies

Research top Health Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I've never found a mainstream pharmacy I like. Kaiser pharmacies are far superior. Very accommodating, prices are great, although they don't have any rewards programs.

I like that I can phone in my needs and they will be mailed to me within a week. I also like that if I have a problem, I can visit a 24 hour pharmacy that is about 10 miles away.

I get my prescriptions in the mail... As long as I stay ahead of my needs it all works perfectly. I order over the internet and in three to five days my prescription is delivered without fail.

I feel sorry for people like me who their jobs offer this insurance! I have fibromyalgia and have been on ** for pain. Been on it for 3 years and it don't work as well as it used to and asked if maybe they could up the dose a little and you would have thought I asked for the highest pain meds there is. I used to see Dr. Curt ** and he basically called me a drug addict and made me feel that I was wasting his time and how dare I ask him. That made me feel like a lowlife drug addict who was begging for drugs and then I switched Dr. and this one was worse.

His name is Dr. Kevin **. He was rude and nasty and made me feel like a child and would not listen to me. He just kept shaking his head and say no. Would talk over me and angry telling me that if I went with him I would have to sign a contract that I would not take more than 1/2 to 1 pill a day and if I did they would take them away from me and would not see me anymore like he is god and would not listen to me. I also have a bulging disk in my neck that hurts and a bad back but I guess since its not them in pain why should they care. I thought part of being a doctor was caring and sympathy but as for these doctors could not care less. If you are thinking about getting this insurance I would suggest you don't unless you like to be treated like you are a bother. Whatever you do avoid these doctors and this insurance. DON'T DO IT. YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!

I added my son to my insurance account in January 2017. I paid my premium in both Jan. and Feb. At the end of Feb I was notified that my account was terminated for nonpayment. I called Kaiser. They said I had not paid. I gave them my confirmation numbers and they found that in adding my son Connect for Health had actually opened a second account and my payments had gone into the first account.

In the meantime Connect for health sent me notice of a payment adjustment from 300.00 per month down to 132.65. Kaiser also sent me notice that they had rec'd the adjustment. It has taken Kaiser 4 months to add my son to my account. I have OVERPAID on my premiums and I just recently called because I got a bill for 530.00 (because they have not credited my account for 132.65 a month) when I called I was told that I owed over 1000.00. I referred them to their own statement that said my premium is 132.65 a month and that so far for 4 months I have paid in 377.00 in January and 233.00 in Feb and another 132.65 in April. I did the math for them and showed that I had overpaid by roughly 215.00.

They agreed and said I would not owe again until June. However when I called to see if my son had finally been added to my policy (he had) I was told my bill for my premium was sitting at 1000.00 plus. I have been dealing with this every day off I have had since the end of February and it is now the end of April. The time I have been forced to invest in this is asinine. They people in the billing dept will tell you anything to get off of the phone with you and then tell you to call back next week to make sure the changes have happened and the changes are NEVER made.

I will probably lose my coverage again because they have not credited my payments to my account. I just got a confirmation today from Kaiser that my payments from Jan. should be 132.65 a month again. I called. I was told that my premium owed was over 1000.00 I explained the overpayment yet again, then I was told I owed for last year. (I do not and have the confirmation numbers and bank statements to prove it) so they backed down on the "You owe from last year". Again they told me my bill for my premiums were 1060.00. Again I explained that according to their own letter my premiums are 132.65 and that I have actually have overpaid. And again I was told to call next week to see if the changes had been made. Again I gave them the ID number from the last time (last week) that I was told that the changes would be made by this week.

The gal looked up the conversation ID # and still told me to call back. It is impossible to talk to anyone who can actually DO anything. Their people are not empowered to help the consumer. I have repeatedly filed complaints with BOTH Kaiser and Connect for Health and have barely moved forward in almost 60 days time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaiser Permanente?

I usually use their mail Rx which is great #5! When I order refills online, I usually get them within 48 hours. Most new Rx are waiting for me at the "in-house" pharmacy in the clinic after seeing my doctor. They are very good about making sure I understand information about new Rx.

As a Kaiser/Medicare patient, I am obliged to use the KP Pharmacy. The walk-in is invariably a wait and I have had charging issues there, i.e., a pharmacist waived a charge but it still appeared on my bill. Best route is their phone pharmacy system wherein meds are delivered by mail.

Personally, I really like my Kaiser team. My problem doesn't lie with them, it's my current transportation dilemma and from where I live (In the country). Clear across town to literally the most extreme opposite side of town... It's quite away from us.

I recently gave birth through Kaiser Permanente Atlanta on December 24th. I was released on December 25th. I was given no pain medicine or anything else. I called for pain medicine. I was told to stop at CVS and to see if they were open when I left the hospital. I called Kaiser three times and was told that a nurse would call me back. A nurse called me a week later after I had my child and told me since it had been a week I should not need any pain medicine. I explained to the nurse that my stomach and vaginal area was so painful that I could no longer breastfeed. Kaiser told me to go to the emergency room.

I feel that if someone has a baby they should be given at least 1 week of pain medicine and aid. In addition, my job approved me for 8 weeks of paid disability but I was told by Kaiser that they would only approve me for 6 weeks because that's all they will sign off on to my job. Needless to say when enrollment time comes I will leave. I will not pay $300 plus a month to be told that they can't do anything in my time of need. It is hard enough going through childbirth without the extra complications.

Even though services are provided month to month and you pay in advance for the following month, Kaiser Permanente makes it a royal pain to cancel. They have a membership services lines, but of course you can't cancel over the phone even though they verify name, address, DOB, membership numbers, etc. Instead they insist on written cancellation only, which has none of the verification information they do over the phone. At least with cell phone and cable companies you can tell them to cancel about 10 times verbally and they will finally give up and cancel... but not Kaiser. From past experience they'll then claim they never received the written request for cancellation, so be sure anything you do is sent with delivery verification and keep photocopies of everything sent to them. Wow, no wonder they only get 1.2 stars! Wish I had seen that ahead of time.

I was a peritoneal dialysis patient at Kaiser. I came in with signs of an infection and a wrong diagnosis of peritonitis was made. I was treated for peritonitis over a three week period when I really actually had a bowel rupture instead. My peritoneum showed no signs of infection when surgeon went in and nephrologist had my PD cath removed anyway. He had me opened up two more times during that week trying to figure out what was going on. I ended up with a colostomy for 7 months following because the bowel rupture had been misdiagnosed and ignored causing inflammation. The three surgeries caused adhesions and scar tissue so I could never return to Peritoneal again. Hemo does not meet my needs for dialysis so as a result I will probably eventually die. Did I mention looks like it was closed by a preschooler? Thanks Kaiser and Dr ** you have made my life a living hell!!!

I hate having Kaiser for healthcare. Their employees in nearly the entire primary care division, DON'T CARE for you. They all seem like brainwashed robots. Their job is simple, get you out of their face, as cheap as possible. There is never a sincere positive relationship developed. How is that healthcare? It gets worse from there, so I am seriously considering having my family leave Kaiser altogether. Luckily I have other options!

I gave 3 stars because of the lower cost of coverage under Kaiser. I would give Kaiser's physicians only 1 star. There seems to be a sacrifice that's being made when physicians are directly employed by the insurance company (I say this as a pretty liberal individual who used to - and sometimes wonders if I still do - support socialized healthcare). The Kaiser plan in which I was enrolled provides excellent benefits for a very small premium. However, I found that the doctors were uninterested in providing care unless my medical conditions were severe, and often blamed any minor symptoms on already diagnosed conditions (later, my symptoms were determined to not be attributable to those conditions). They expected my quality of life to be compromised in ways that were not necessary.

I would not recommend Kaiser to anyone who wants an attentive doctor willing to look into minor symptoms to ensure that there isn't a larger problem. From my experience, you have to be your own advocate at Kaiser which unfortunately requires some knowledge about medicine that the average person does not have.

When I switched to another health insurance company, I found the physicians that were in that company's network to be more capable (and actively willing) in resolving my medical issues. My premiums and costs under my new insurance are, however, significantly higher.

My husband got this Kaiser Permanente Insurance through his work. He was deducted almost 500$ on his paycheck without us knowing how much the insurance would be. So we informed the company where he works that we want to opt out of the insurance since it is eating all of the money he got from work. Now, another paycheck and we were only left with 36$ cause kaiser got all of the money! Horrible, horrible! Imagine working 8 hours a day and then on paycheck day, you find out that you are not getting anything because this money eating scumbag is getting all of it! Plus the customer service sucks!!! Never ever choose Kaiser. I hope we can still get our money back!

All the doctors I saw at Kaiser were very inexperienced, and I think that's why they're at Kaiser. They're still learning, and kaiser patients are their training tools to practice on. What's good about Kaiser? It's cheap. And you know what you get when you buy cheap. We're talking about your health, your life. Do you really want to risk that. You deserve better than kaiser doctors. Everyone does.

I'm a 38 yo woman and I've had Kaiser Permanente since 2010. Before Kaiser, I've always had a PPO. At first I liked KP because I had young kids and the convenience of having everything in one place was great. My experience with them was good until I needed treatment outside of what was considered routine. Prior to selecting KP as my health insurance provider, I was diagnosed with Lupus and had been on medication and had been seeing a rheumatologist regularly. Following my first visit with KP, their doctor said that I did not have Lupus and my meds were discontinued. I had not had any MAJOR flare-ups since then but I have had the same symptoms that I had before - the swollen and achy joints, discoid looking rashes on my head, the butterfly rash on my face, and muscle aches.

In December 2016, I went to the doctor complaining of knee pain and instability. An x-ray was ordered but I was advised to lose weight because the x-ray revealed that I had arthritis. Less than a month after the x-ray, I was getting out of my car and my knee buckled - the same knee that had been unstable and in pain the month before. I had an MRI in January and I have a tear in my ACL. I think this injury existed in December when I first sought treatment. It's April and I've been referred for physical therapy but therapy won't repair the torn ligament, so I'm not sure what the point is. I won't have another MRI until May before surgery is considered. In the meantime, I'm in pain and miserable.

Yes I really don't know where to start, but I was taking ** and ** for extreme pain in neck, back, and shoulders. Well when they took away somas due to drs nationwide were stopping prescribing because dangerous. Well then the pain really stepped up. So I told dr he upped my pain med but didn't help so I kept telling him and in emails saying I can't take the pain anymore that I would do anything to reduce my pain. Well he didn't do anything more so I started on anything I could get. When I had a dirty test he cut me off. So I changed drs and the next gave me ** X3 so I tell him that I hold number two because it hurts to move. So he does a x-ray and says "there is your problem. Your intestines are full pressing on spine." Remember 25 years of pain so he gives me 3 **.

So I change drs. This one sends me to physical therapy and says I need a psyc. Well physical therapy said "I don't know why she sent you here because you can't even move." So I ask for a referral. Meanwhile years go by and I'm emailing everyday. The referral for second opinion was denied because Kaiser don't do that. Well member services gave me a ok this once. Well to say my condition is so bad now I barely move I refuse to pick up cholesterol meds, blood pressure meds and I suffer daily because I got my records and went to see another dr but the first thing you see in big letters is DO NOT REFILL **... PLEASE HELP ME.

If you like to schedule appts and communicate with your doctor, KP.org can be a great thing. BUT for FOUR YEARS I have been trying to get my KP.org password set up. FOUR YEARS. IT is 2017 people! This have mailed me 4 passwords. None have worked, it takes "up to 3 weeks" to get another in the USPS. YES they still set up your online account by USPS mail... yet... what they mail doesn't work. Spend 20 min on hold. Get hung up on. Start over. No help "sorry, we have a PROCESS" which apparently NEVER means actually getting me a usable temp. password so I can log on. Talk to "supervisor", who seems to care even less than her CS reps... even after FOUR YEARS.

If you can't as an organization get my online account set up in FOUR YEARS, please, tell me how I can have any confidence that you hire competent doctors and surgeons??? I STRONGLY recommend you don't sign up for Kaiser to meet your health needs. It is as close to medicine by bureaucracy as it gets today in the USA.

I enrolled in Kaiser Permanente on January 1st, 2017 and had been making my monthly premium payments and even paid a couple months upfront. I called them to make sure that both payments had gone through and that I was all set for the next two months and they said that I was good to go. A month and half into it, I receive a letter in the mail that said I had a balance due. Come to find out, Kaiser had increased my premium with absolutely NO CONTACT, NO INFORMATION, NO LETTER, NO EMAIL!

I joined on January 1st. I was told after I received the threatening letter that ALL premiums increase in the beginning of the year. How can my premium increase already if I had just joined? What kind of BS is this? I said I wasn't made aware of the changes and it didn't make sense to increase a premium that just started with the company and no one was able to help me. I had a Doctor's appoint, which I should be entitled to because I have already paid almost $1000 towards this BS system, just to find out the morning of my appointment that Kaiser had terminated my plan.

Not only is the customer service not helpful, Kaiser's communication with their clients is AWFUL. Also, the person in charge of the mail outs should be fired. No one needs three copies of your ID card or two of your Welcome packets. If anything, send the correct information (I.E. Like if you're gonna increase my premium, I'd like a letter!). This whole health insurance BS is already terrible but my experience with Kaiser was so terrible it is not even deserving of 1 star.

I continue to receive bills for treatment and not one of the bills are the same. I attempted to talk with customer service to straighten out the bill and was provided a totally different bill amount with a 10 year old address. What a mess. Dental work charges are above average. Kaiser is a scam.

I absolutely cannot wait for open season. I have been with Kaiser for 3 years and was going to drop them this past open season had it not been for one doctor that I like. But I cannot tolerate them anymore. Customer service is terrible. I like more personalized care. I feel like I'm just a number in a factory. I go to Kaiser for my primary care physician, OB-GYN and counseling. My PCP rushed through appointments because she had 18 more patients waiting. How is that my problem?! My OB-GYN has terrible bedside manner and treated me like I was being a hypochondriac. Sorry that I actually care about my health and don't want to brush symptoms off until it's too late. My therapist is the best but the overall mental health department is horrible.

Appointments are so scattered that you are not getting the help you really need. Therapy appointments should not be bi-monthly. Then today the nurse I spoke to was very judgemental and had a stuck up tone. I did not call for judgment, I called for an appointment. Just make my appointment so that I can go on about my day. It is bothersome that the doctors and nurses play down a patient's health concerns. So yes, I agree with many of the other complaints here, Kaiser has terrible customer service. I look forward to going back to my PPO insurance where I was able to choose a doctor anywhere I wanted, one that could offer me personalized care and not make me feel like cattle. In the meantime I have requested a new PCP and OB-GYN so we'll see how this goes until open season returns. Oh... the only good thing I like is that everything is in one place (i.e. the pharmacy, the lab and doctors) but that's about all the positivity I have for Kaiser.

We moved here from CA. I worked for 30 yrs. and had my retirement package. I chose Kaiser since I been with them there for over 40 yrs. We moved here in 2015 and my cost for total medical was $97. for everything. My retirement wasn't the total amount cause I wasn't 65 yet, but I planned to find a job in the same field. Well, in July 2016, my medical went up to $400 monthly which caused a hardship for me and husband since I hadn't found a job yet. We received no notice of change or anything. CA said that GA went up on the cost. But I can choose 1 more coverage but it would be 80/20. How do I know what the 20% would be? Then you have to run around town to different locations. So we agreed to keep Kaiser but CA Kaiser is still the same cost. Kaiser don't even have their own hospital here. This is bad if you are on a fixed income.

They make you wait and wait and wait. People are for the most part nice, medical providers are very average, don't ask too many questions, pretend to use hand sanitizer then touch the door knob then the patient. The layers of disorganization and if you have all the time in the world to deal with them, maybe choose this plan. They always make you wait for a callback, appointments - what's the point, you arrive on time and have to wait two hours at least every single time. The locations are far away. No one has time for that. You still have to pay for everything on top of an outrageous premium. This model should not be allowed.

One of our first experiences actually using Kaiser services came earlier this year when our son had an MRI that the doctor recommended for a large cyst on the back of his calf. This was not an emergency visit, but rather a scheduled appointment that the specialist suggested we have to confirm his findings from an x-ray. We paid $100 upon arrival for the MRI... and then received a bill for another $950 for just the one MRI procedure. That's $1050 total out of pocket for one non-invasive scan with a technician! Even scarier, the bill claimed that the total cost for the MRI was $5643 + $160 for the dye. This is the cost of a minor surgery with many hospitals. So we did some research and found that, nationwide, the highest rate for an MRI of any kind is $3600.

On the Kaiser website, estimated cost for all locations that listed basic-mid level leg MRI's was between $250-$1900. What a surprise that there were no listed costs in the East Bay for MRI's through Kaiser. We have called numerous times and no one can provide us with any explanation whatsoever as to why the cost for one straightforward test came to over $5500. We are disgusted with both the outrageous fees this supposed "non-profit" charges as well as the lack of any reasonable explanation for the cost. Unfortunately, since the services and insurance are all bundled at Kaiser individuals have no negotiating power. We would have paid cash if it was possible b/c cash prices for healthcare are typically 75+% less than when run through insurance. But again, not an option with Kaiser. Can't wait to go back to a more reasonable insurance carrier. This is why people are going bankrupt.

My wife has severe back pain and has been waiting months for surgery in order to even stand up straight, but Kaiser refuses to even return her calls or set up a date for surgery. Her pain is so bad that any other plan would have had her in that very week.

It has been one year now that they are trying to process an address change. This means, even though I pay my premiums, when I go in for care, they tell me I am not covered. I have spent days of my life now trying to deal with this. Yes, they cost less, but you will pay for it in the time you lose with them. And I am reluctant to go in for care, because of all the horrible bureaucracy involved. I am now waiting until the end of the year to leave.

I had Kaiser insurance for 7 months, I was honest with all the drs I saw and found none of them would treat me for anything since I admitted I used **. They would not treat me for high blood pressure or diabetes. They all told me to go to emergency until I could test clean. I have used it for 50 years and my side has nearly won the battle and I do not plan to quit now even if it kills me. It has been my experience that If you use ** do not count on any care from Kaiser at all.

I've been with Kaiser for about three years because of its relative affordability in the health care marketplace. Kaiser is competent when it comes to routine, mechanical, procedural health care operations, such as prescribing drugs or taking labs. Kaiser utterly fails, however, when it comes to treating illness beyond pill dispensing or truly caring for its patients. Kaiser doctors are brainwashed to serve the money machine and patients suffer as a result. If you are with Kaiser and you have any real illness, God help you because Kaiser sure as hell won't.

I receive feedback surveys after every clinic visit and feel the surveys are used to deceive people. My appointments have been in Mental Health and the feedback surveys are for Medicine, therefore misleading by my providing answers to my experience with other Kaiser services as being excellent and access to services as excellent after being seen in Mental Health which is the only department within Kaiser that I have experienced that provides inadequate care and access to services are beyond poor. I feel that the surveys can only be used to mislead potential subscribers, especially those who suffer from mental illness and require weekly or bi-weekly therapy, and will also hinder the department's possibilities to grow because the mental health patients can't leave feedback that speaks directly to our experience with their department policies.

They created phone appointments to fill the gap when a patient is in crisis which is good, but no patient should have to tell a psychiatrist or psychotherapist that a patient suffering from mental illness isn't the best judge of whether they're in crisis or not and the need for regular appointments is detrimental to our lives. I am bi-polar and live within 10 miles of three Kaiser offices but have to drive 20+ miles away in order to see a therapist more than once every 60 days.

Thanks to the not Affordable Care Act, and my husband needing a surgery, I had to have my husband on a separate insurance plan last year. For 2017 I wanted to switch him back to the plan the rest of the family is on. On December 13, 2016 I faxed a letter, signed by him, cancelling the policy he was on effective 12/31/16, because he would be on my policy for 2017. Kaiser does not inform customers that they have to cancel the policy they are on when they switch policies. I just happen to know that - that's a whole other issue.

So in late December I receive a bill for my husband's old policy for January 2017. I call Kaiser, go through their whole "system", spending at least 45 minutes on the phone. I am assured that his policy will be cancelled - not to worry about it. Something else came in the mail that led me to not feel to trusting about the policy really being cancelled, so I called them again, spent another 30 to 45 minutes on the phone and was again told it would be cancelled and that I didn't need to worry.

January 3, 2017, my credit card was billed for not only the new policy that we are all on as a family, but it was also billed $872.01 for my husband's old policy. Now I don't know about you, but to me that is a lot of money and it seems like their system should be able to see that he is being billed for two policies, but no. I called and talked to JoAnna **. I was livid and demanded that they refund that amount to my credit card. I was on the phone with her for 48 minutes and the issue wasn't resolved. She asked me if she could call me back. It took several hours before she called me back and she said they would refund my credit card as I had requested. She said it would take a week.

On January 17th, I called, because I had not seen the credit on my credit card. I was told it takes 5 business days and I should see the refund by January 24th. On January 26th, I had not seen the credit on my credit card yet, so I called and spoke with Candice. She told me that it takes two weeks, so I should see the credit by February 2nd. On February 6th I had not see the credit yet, so I called and spoke to Lolita, who couldn't help me and transferred me to Karen. Karen put me on hold a long time. Came back on and then put me back on hold a long time again. Came back and put me on hold a third time. She told me she saw the request for a refund was put in and would be going back to the credit card. She saw that it was requested on 1/17/17 and she said it shows it is being processed.

At this point I was really frustrated. The dates kept getting pushed out of when I should see it by and I never saw it when I was told I was. I was on this particular call for 1 hour and 6 minutes. On 2/15/17, I still had not seen the credit on my credit card, so I called the credit card company and disputed the charge. On March 1, 2107, I received the email bill I get each month to let me know that Kaiser was taking their money from my credit card and the amount was not what it should be - it was a lot lower. In fact it was lower by the amount they were supposed to credit my credit card for. So I called them.

Would you believe this? They credited my account, not my credit card, on 1/23/17. I called several times after that date and NO ONE told me that. It is not how I wanted it done. I wanted it credited to my credit card. But I called several times after 1/23/17 and no one could see that was done? The person who told me this told me that their system is really messed up. It is pretty bad when the employees tell you the system is messed up. He actually told me that the least messy way to fix all of this was for me to leave the credit on my account and call my credit card company and cancel the dispute. If I continued with the dispute, there would be no telling in what ways my Kaiser account might be screwed up.

I am amazed that a company as big as Kaiser can operate like this. You know, if we didn't pay our premium, we would get cancelled. We have to pay it on a certain date. Yet, they can keep money they owe to us as long as they want and they don't have to accurately account for it. Kaiser billing system is an absolute disaster! I am amazed. If I had a choice, I wouldn't be with Kaiser.

Compare Health Insurance