Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
Kaiser Permanente Insurance
3.38/5

Kaiser Permanente Insurance

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

1055 Kaiser Permanente Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 14, 2019

So, I had this thing on my chest, I thought it was an ingrown hair. It kept getting bigger, and bigger. I tried warm compresses, the scab would come off, I'd clean it with hydrogen peroxide. It didn't hurt but it just kept getting bigger. I've got a 5 day river trip coming up and 3 days before my departure date. I figured that I'd better do something. On my lunch break on Tuesday I made an appointment with my general practitioner (who I hadn't seen in 8 years) I couldn't believe it. I was able to get an appointment at 10:00 on Wednesday!

I go to see my doctor, Sankari **, MD in San Ramon, Ca. She is the most personable doctor I've ever had, we chatted like old friends, seriously, I might invite her and her family over for a BBQ. She looked at my chest and determined that it would need to be surgically removed. She scheduled me an appointment with WS * MD at Kaiser in Walnut Creek for 1:30 that same day! I went to see Dr. **. He looked at it and said that he would schedule a surgery. His assistant pointed out that he had about 20 minutes, right now. They had me in a operation room in less that 10 minutes and 15 minutes later a marble sized cyst was removed from my chest and I was stitched up. I know things don't always go this smoothly but all involved knew that I needed to get this done in a hurry and made it happen.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I really like Kaiser. When I see a doctor or go to Urgent Care all tests are done in the same building, and results are fast. I also love that Kaiser is very proactive about health. It is easy to get all results via the web. My husband and I have had excellent care at Kaiser. I appreciate that they are not for profit, and more about patients care. The only downside is that they are not located everywhere, so I often have to buy separate insurance when I travel, however, you can always get emergency care within the US.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I had San Francisco Kaiser 40+ years ago and had always been healthy. After giving a normal birth in the early 1980s, I dropped Kaiser due to very poor service and aging inadequate facility. They brought me the wrong baby to breastfeed! I've returned to Kaiser for over 5 years now, after a good experience working with a wonderful Kaiser doctor for my in-law.

Kaiser has gone thru a major overhaul, new buildings (beautiful Mission Bay campus but on the other side of city for me)/remodel, procedural changes (I'm sure partly gov't mandated) and also invested heavily in their IT systems. Hopefully they've eliminated the horrible doctors who refused to care for patients and didn't address their complaints (or at least try to). Staff are attentive to patients and no longer ignoring patients, especially at the front desks. Two thumbs up on their online patient portal.

For myself, I found the right, caring doctor(s). I've used their 24x7 Advice Nurse line and found them to be caring and responsive. Even short notice appoints with my non-attending physician (Geary Blvd OP), hit the DX right on the nose, verified with RX-ray same FRI afternoon, and waited for me afterwards to see the results after 6 pm, so she could order the prescription and not wait over the weekend. Now that is service! Another short notice appointment with an optical specialist after I idiotically poked my eye bending over an orchid plant late night, was also efficient. Not much bedside manners, but I was so concerned as the eye was bleeding initially. The graveyard adviser nurse even consulted a doctor and tried to get me a followup morning visit rather than ER visit, as good to ensure I did not damage my vision.

The option for video appointments with my primary doctor is great and they finally fixed the sporadic bug in their pharmacy refill system. I had retired from IT in a county hospital so I feel I have a basis for comparison. I am very very happy with SF Kaiser (Northern California). I had been dual-insured with HealthNet for many years and it was also good, depending on the doctor you get, but like the one stop Kaiser health service as I normally research the background of the specialists anyways. I also appreciate reading the issues other patients on this website. It's always good to hear both sides and to be aware, which is why I am writing this. Finding the right doctor to fit you and your personality/demeanor is key. Also remembering medical staff are not perfect.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

We've had Kaiser Permanente insurance for 3 years. Our son was born last year, but other than that we are relatively healthy. We've had a very positive experience with KP during that time. We love our doctors and pediatrician. It's extremely convenient to talk to an on-call nurse, and we can almost always get same-day appointments in urgent care when we have a problem. The system is very convenient -- everything under one roof. You can get referrals and see a specialist on the same visit! (And pick up your medicine in the pharmacy.) And we can e-mail our pediatrician anytime and get responses in under 24 hours; great for unexplained rashes or fevers. We loved pre-natal classes as well. My only complaints are -- expensive (but everything is expensive), and the website is a little clunky and can be tricky to figure out. (But the website is also great because it has all your records stored there.)

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I just have to share how amazing everyone at Kaiser in Roseville is. I went in the other day at 3am, sadly having to drag my poor daughter with me. I ended up having really painful side effects from my IUD. Everyone I came in contact with went out of their way to make my daughter and I as comfortable as possible. They got us in right away, and brought us an extra bed for her ♡. They also brought her crackers, apple juice, and coloring stuff. They ran a bunch of test to make sure I was ok and it wasn't anything serious. Test came back fine, then finally the OBGYN Dr came down and helped me remove the IUD, which they could have said, it wasn't an emergency and to come back. But she wasn't busy, so she came down. And like I suspected, that was the root to all my pain. Thank you, to all the employees at Kaiser for all their top service. Especially those who were able to make my daughter and I so comfortable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaiser Permanente?

Original review: July 21, 2019

Refused to give 3 months medication supply because they want you to pay your copay 3 times instead of only one time. They will tell you lies like blaming the doctor, only order one month supply, etc.... Or they will tell you, "No stock, come back." It's all about money. They are greedy!

Original review: July 19, 2019

Why does/would a legitimate Medical Facility use Computer Generated Spam and misidentified numbers? As a Medical Facility filled with Doctors, Labs, X-Ray Departments, different Treatment rooms, isn't it important for the Customers (because they do not treat you as a patient!) to know that their Medical Facility is trying to contact them?

With so many spam/con callers, I bought an expensive Spam Blocker for my phone. Computer generated numbers, the ones you cannot redial like Kaiser uses, goes straight to my Block Number file. I do not see or hear the call come in. A lady from the R/T Dept. was trying to contact me. After leaving 1 message and I didn't return her call, I received a rude letter from this lady complaining that I had not returned her call. Letter had a different return number and I tried it, got her voice mail and left message. Several days later I noticed I had a message in my Spam File. Rude lady returned my call from a different computer generated number, ordering me to return her call.

Again I returned her call and left another message, explaining why I'm not getting the call. Several days later I hear this irate, rude female (not a lady at this point!) telling me that "When I call, you better answer!" I returned her call and very politely informed Rude Female that 'If Kaiser would use actual phone numbers that Identified call as Kaiser, instead of Computer Generated Spam numbers that show Unknown, I will be happy to answer you call!' Irate, rude female hasn't called back and I still do not know what she was wanting to schedule! I'm already shopping for new insurance so I'm ready for open enrollment. Looking for Doctors that use their actual name and number to call!

Original review: July 19, 2019

I have something going on with my left leg that the doctor doesn't want to diagnose, so every night I beat on my leg to make it stop and now I injured my hand and can't get an appointment for 2 weeks, and the doctor didn't return my message. I will put a splint on my hand and hope it heals ok. Kaiser Permanente cares very little about the quality of life of patients.

Original review: July 17, 2019

First of all- I would like to express my upset and concern that I have now heard from TWO of Kaiser Permanente doctors that breast exams are not included in Preventative Health Checks. That is outrageous. Breast health is an important part of a women's overall health. I expect the general public does not know that KP does not think so. Secondly- I went into the clinic to see a new primary care doctor, and SPECIFICALLY ASKED for a breast exam at my appointment, which was my yearly preventative health check up. I told her I was experiencing pain and was concerned. She told me that KP doesn't bother to do breast exams anymore, as they turn up nothing. I told her that my friend just had a lump found in an exam (not at your clinic, clearly) and it was cancer (her reply was "well now I feel stupid"). Dr ** did not perform and exam as I requested, nor did she order an exam (physical, mammogram, ultrasound, or other) for me.

After leaving, and realizing nothing had been done about my request. I called to get another appointment, which was a ways out, with a new doctor. I no longer wished to see Dr ** as I do not trust her judgement or skill. KP clinic called and changed my appointment several times and with several people. I then ended up seeing a fill-in physician, who really can do nothing for me, since she isn't a primary care provider. She also reiterated that breast health is not covered in KP preventive care. (Had I known this prior to switching to KP insurance/group I would have NEVER chosen the company). She did find a lump, and has referred me to get further testing. This should have been dealt with in my original appointment. . Dealing with KP has been a nightmare.

Original review: July 17, 2019

Had appt at 4:10pm, arrived at 4:19pm. MA Joana ** says my appt was at 4:10pm and I came 9 mins late and Dr. Deborah ** already left and no one can see me. Kaiser policy to have 15 mins leeway.

Original review: July 15, 2019

I recently switched from Anthem to Kaiser. Here is my experience so far: Doctors are substandard. Kaiser hires doctors with poor communication skills. They do not seem to understand patients very well or listen. From the moment I signed up, they instantly switched all prescribed medications to lower cost alternatives. I was flat out told that Kaiser does not "have the resources" to provide for certain types of exams. In particular, I asked about foot and eye exams for diabetics. Kaiser does not allow for exams with podiatrist, and refers everything to your primary care professional. Their eye exams are a joke. Furthermore, access to Endocrinologist is tightly controlled. Near impossible to see one.

Original review: July 7, 2019

I have been using KP for several years as it is the cheapest coverage offered through my employer, but being a customer has been a very poor experience. I have gone through about four physicians so far. The first was ok regarding competency but lacked interest in my medical treatment, generally. It was like talking to a brick wall. He left eventually, and I had to choose another. The second doctor was good (my nurse recommended), but during a call to customer service one day a customer service representative accidentally deleted me from his service; I couldn't be added back because as one of the few good doctors he was no longer accepting new patients.

The third doctor I perceived as biased and uncaring towards those of certain races and gender. He literally brushed me off when I asked him for help documenting my illness for my job apparently because he was my new doctor. I guess he didn't see my years of medical records at KP with KP doctors as reliable for use in the simple medical documentation I requested, which only asked that he verify I had some type of serious disability...no details were even required. The current one seems uncaring and fake as well; she emails me with lab results and says to let her know if I have questions then ignores my questions. She forgot to order some labs during my last physical so KP sent me a weird message to get the tests done weeks later. I didn't bother trying to figure out what they wanted me to do and will just switch to one of the more expensive companies next year... especially due to my experience with my OB.

My OB refuses to help me cope with my fibroid-related pain with medicine apparently due to KP prescription guidelines related to addressing opioids abuse so, barring surgical methods that may result in infertility, I am forced to suffer excruciating pain about four days per month that is very debilitating. I asked for just a small prescription like three pain pills per 30 days or something low like that since it takes at least four days to become addicted to opioids, but I was denied. Instead I was prescribed a birth control that is supposed to stop menstruation, but of course those who have tried that may know that doesn't actually work for many women, me included. Up to half of ** women like me have fibroids. Women of color like me also have higher mortality rates with childbirth often due to doctors that do not care about our pain, discomfort, or well-being. I wonder how many go without fibroid pain treatment.

In light of this experience with my OB, a ** woman herself, I don't want to even risk being stuck under KP while pregnant in the future. KP customer service also overbilled me for two separate services last year. I sent a letter and documentation that I already paid what I owed, and they completely ignored it. They have been sending me those bills for the past year, and I refuse to pay it until they acknowledge my letters. Don't bother with them. Not worth the pain you will inevitably go through.

Original review: June 29, 2019

I had no complaints at all about Kaiser in California. But the experience in CO in the Boulder area is rather different. Unlike in CA here it is not one big complex covering everything. Surgeries for instance are done in other facilities belonging to other medical organizations. I have seen minor surgeries only be offered once a month and requiring a trip to Denver. My medical records in CA being visible to all departments I needed to interact with was one of the big advantages of Kaiser. Here setting up a first Endoc meeting they have no idea who I am or my history.

So they asked me to jump through hoops pre-appointment that are nearly 3 decades irrelevant for me (post-op transsexual). Having already gone through my transition I don't really need anything except my normal hormones that are very little different than for any post-menopausal woman on HRT. Despite advertising understanding and treating folks like me I am running into a deep lack of knowledge and wrote completely irrelevant in my case procedure. This is not the kind of experience I expect from Kaiser. I will have been with Kaiser a long time now. But I will not remain if I cannot get the quality of care I expect in my new location.

Original review: June 28, 2019

I've been trying for about 4 months to get appointment with their psychiatric department but continue to receive calls from them canceling my appointment... And I just received the call again today cancelling my appointment once again... It has been nothing but a total nightmare dealing with Kaiser.

Original review: June 27, 2019

I have had Kaiser for years and avoid going in at all possible because everything you go in for is shared with anyone in the Kaiser system, there is no patient privacy. I also don't appreciate being weighed every single time, especially if I am going for something unrelated. Additionally, if you are in pain, you have to beg for medication and hope that what they give you is enough.

I went to the doctor because I broke my leg. She sent me home without any medicine or x-ray and told me to come back in a week if it wasn't better. In the mean time, every time I turned over in bed while sleeping it felt like I was re-breaking it or breaking it more. I am not an addict, I needed pain medication. I hardly ever see the doctor, it shouldn't be a battle. I pay them for service and care. I would rather keep my money and put it into savings and go the ER when I have a problem. Furthermore, I have a horrible job that causes a lot of stress and problems. I went to a counselor just to be listened to and find a way to handle stress. I was misdiagnosed as having depression. Now it is on my record. I don't have depression, don't take medication for it, I just have a horrible job that I can't get out of. Overall, I have had poor treatment by both nurses and some doctors as well as in general poor service at Kaiser.

Original review: June 24, 2019

If you're a fan of form letters stating they are sorry for having not lived up to your expectations, a fan of the buck being passed, unable to be assigned a patient advocate (doesn't exist in the Kaiser realm) or not being treated AT ALL, then Kaiser is for you!!! I have been trying for months to get a female oncologist, who speaks English (as her native language - too much medical terminology to deal with any more accents). Who can fathom there is life outside of Kaiser. It's not possible. You file complaints and they keep being bounced around, vs one person handling it. Case "managers" are mere clerks. Talk about a figurative title; they have no power to do anything and they can barely accurately assess the situation.

The oncology departments deal with a scheduling coordinator. When a patient asks for a 15-minute appointment to assess the doctor, an hour appointment isn't called for. How can a doctor be assessed if we're not given access to do so. Their testing is all cookie-cutter. Every cancer patient, with a certain cancer is giving the "national standard". They disregard mitigating factors, underlying family history and unique specifications. They are great for wanting to order tests vs using just one test and one copay. Anything to line their purse strings!

If Kaiser would get it through their heads that sometimes a dedicated medical, not various case "managers" would be in the best interest of the patient, we actually might get care! You know, because battling stage 3 cancer isn't challenging enough... Let's deal with a "provider" who thinks your disease is like everyone else's. Not like cancer patients have enough to deal with. Kaiser: You are NOT in charge - the PATIENT is!!! Try helping them instead of hiding behind 'standard procedure' and listen to what they are saying! And I wait... Bet I die before they end up doing anything useful.

Original review: June 24, 2019

Unfortunately I don't usually go out of my way to leave bad reviews. Just can't let this go without letting others know before they choose Kaiser Permanente as their insurance. As a family that is self-employed and pays out of pocket we chose to leave Blue Cross Blue Shield to save some money. Turns out it is the biggest mistake we have made.

The doctors are bound to stringent rules and generic guidelines that don't allow them to treat patients as individuals. This has shown up time and again. This morning my husband called to get authorization to go out of network for physical therapy at Kaiser doctors urging. My husband works out of town and is not near any Kaiser facility. Was told that they NEVER authorize out of network providers. Period. The person was rude and condescending. Horrible experience. Don't even know what our $1400 a month premium pays for. DO NOT CONSIDER KAISER PERMANENTE. Open enrollment can't come soon enough.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I am very disappointed with Kaiser. I have had debilitating migraines for years that cause me to have to take a leave of absence at work. The doctor didn’t want to backdate my work status and so I couldn’t file for temp disability. They basically act like you are lying to them and don’t believe what you are saying. I’ve never had an issue with getting a work note backdated with any other health insurance. I even told them I’d lose my job without the note but they could care less. All they want to do is pump you with drugs before they send you to a specialist. The lacking of compassion towards the patient is proof that Kaiser doctors are like robots. Being a doctor is more than just prescribing meds. You have to have empathy and compassion for your patients. All these doctors care about is their paycheck and not their patients.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I’ve been with them for almost 2 years now and if my employer provided better options for insurance carriers I would go with the latter. My experience so far has been poor. I would consider myself pretty healthy. However, I had a medical crisis occur during my time with them and this is when their true colors came out. If you need mental health services and/or have medical conditions outside of giving birth PLEASE DO NOT CHOOSE KAISER!!!! They are terrible! Nurses and staff are mediocre at best and unhelpful. Customer service is subpar. Sometimes you’ll get good service and sometimes you get someone who shouldn’t be interacting with people at all. I’ve had better service at the free clinic. At least at the free clinic you know it’s basic, but Kaiser will slap lipstick on a ** and call it a beauty queen.

With regard to services offered? It’s great that they’re all under one roof? But the flaw is that they’re mediocre at best. Specialty clinics are NOT conducive to a thorough process. They want you in out in 10-20 mins max. Forget about talking with the doctor about your concerns and next steps, they don’t have time for you! Literally, they don’t, they have 50 people waiting to be seen.

Finally, upon my first visit with my new primary doctor, they asked me if I had any medical concerns? When I replied and stated them, my doctor basically said, "You should probably go to another place because Kaiser isn’t a place where you could get that type of service!" Wow?! Lmao! Thank you doctor! I will finally listen to you and will gladly be switching back to PPO at the end of this year! Bye bye Kaiser!

Original review: June 20, 2019

Can't say overall experience since I've only been with KP for 7 weeks. What I can tell you is the heath care company does "bait and switch" claiming you can pick your own primary doctor only to find out the good ones are all full and not taking any new patients. Furthermore, KP shows some doctors as open for patients but when you apply - you find out they are not accepting new patients. Bottom line - you cannot pick your own family doctor with Kaiser. It’s a JOKE.

Original review: June 20, 2019

With Kaiser I am locked into using their pharmacy. They charge more than double for certain prescriptions than at all other pharmacies I checked. They must figure we got him locked in, we can charge whatever we want. Billings for medical services are very opaque. You never know what they invoice for and who is adding to your invoices. It seems everybody at Kaiser gets a shot at getting to the trough. I am currently fighting with them to get detailed bills. I am almost sure they are wrong, because they send me more expensive antibiotics at $250/dose then were called for. No way to check it though because all I get are statements that say "send us money" with no detail. There are charges by doctors that I have no idea who they are or what they have done for me.

Original review: June 13, 2019

Do not ask for your copayment info at any Kaiser facility. I was told first I had a 40.00 copay from my primary. Later at the Therapy Clinic I was referred to was told there would be no copay. :) Three sessions later I receive a bill that really hurt! I would have never gone in the first place. Much more than I would have paid at my last therapy clinic. Incompetence and bad communication.

Original review: June 12, 2019

Multiple billing and service issues! I have been with Kaiser for two years... Customer service is a joke, they messed up my billing for three months after I called them numerous times. Do it for your health.

Original review: June 11, 2019

The doctors at Kaiser are basically insurance agents. My OB botched my cesarean and cut into my bladder. It was horrible recovery based on her medical negligence. She lied to cover it up and said there was something wrong with me and I shouldn't have any more children. A year later I had another cesarean with no complications. Obviously with another doctor. He told me she was incompetent and being dishonest in blaming her medical error on my nonexistent excess scar tissue. I have had new medical problems in the last six months that my current doctor has tried to dismiss, and misdiagnosed. The doctor is acting like you're wasting their time, they're just trying to get through their appointment as quickly as possible and do the least amount of work possible even at the expense of your health. I will be switching my family to other insurance the next enrollment period.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I have Kaiser Permanente to my job and the care that I received is extremely poor not to mention unaffordable. I have to use the service because the insurance is through my job and with health issues the doctors seem to act like they're listening but however do not tend to the medical needs properly. Not to mention I'm paying a premium through my job withdrawal of my paycheck. Each visit to the doctor is $30 which forces mean to neglect certain illnesses. And on doctor visits I feel like they are not attentive to my medical issues and I have to return for the same issue with inadequate explanation and additional $30 visit fee.

Original review: May 26, 2019

I switched to Kaiser 4 years ago because you don't have repeated charges for ongoing hospital care, I was told (this is probably true). The copay was slightly higher than Sutter, but to avoid possible substantial billing if hospitalization were ever needed (my husband almost died and Sutter took care of him, but it ended up being prohibitively expensive to cover our portion, and with Kaiser the story would have been much more economical, so I switched).

I then had a suspicious skin patch removed and was told by dermatology that since I now have a history with them for skin concerns, I have the rights to dermatology appointments in the future. I was told I probably developed the skin anomaly due to my teen and young adult years on swim teams and excessive sun exposure. My primary care Dr. also reiterated that since I'm on the record for dermatology care, I'm good to go. That was about 10 weeks ago he told me that.

Then, three months ago, my asthma got really bad and remained out of control until even today under Kaiser's watch. They put me on **, and **. These didn't work and I was suffering. Finally, I was placed on **, and **. I asked for a nebulizer as it's very scary when you feel you're losing control of your ability to breathe. I was denied. I still am not in control of my breathing and it's May 26th. It shouldn't take this long. I suggested allergy shots which worked in the past for me for other allergy symptoms and my suggestions were 100% disregarded, even though my understanding is that asthma is actually microscopic allergies within your lungs.

Also, I have Hashimoto's disease, and Sutter used to monitor my thyroid every six months. Kaiser doesn't even ask how I'm feeling. All they do is refill the subscription with no questions asked, and never a suggestion that they revisit your labs. Ever. I'm glad getting refills is easy, but I don't like the sense of wonder. I brought it up myself after noticing routine bloodwork after a physical showed my thyroid levels was way off. Only then did they let me see an endocrinologist who told me it would just be that one visit, and that after that, I'm back to my primary care Dr. only. Fast forward a month, and since I'm feeling a little better now with the breathing, I revisited the skin issue, especially since I've joined an adult Master's Swim team and am back out in the sun. Kaiser knows this.

I asked for a skin scan and was told I can "try" by calling the number, but they do not authorize routine skin scans as there is very little evidence that they are beneficial? How does this even make sense? If a suspicious spot is detected and removed, isn't that being proactive which would translate to "beneficial?" I emailed my doctor and told him that if I get turned down for a skin scan I am switching back to Sutter. My mom had skin cancer and had it removed; I am fair skinned and green eyed, and they KNOW they removed a suspicious spot in the past, and that I have heavy sun exposure now. How is it even possible that their logic makes any sense unless it is to save money? I know that Sutter can be more of a drain on my pocketbook, but it's hard to put a price on health, especially preventative health, so I'm pretty sure next open enrollment, I'm leaving Kaiser. I gave them four years to impress me, and disappoint they did!

Original review: May 10, 2019

I have been trying for months to get my and my new wife's accounts combined. Twice, they said they would mail me a form, which didn't happen. Then I finally complained online and someone who was very nice called me. She faxed me the form and I filled it out and faxed it in. They didn't bother to read the cover letter describing what I needed, and the form was very vague, so they sent me right back to customer service. I've gotten the runaround twice. Their customer service is really very poor. Kaiser works great, if you dont ever intend to make a change to your account. If that happens, then watch out, they suck.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Trying to pay Kaiser is something of nightmare for me. 50/50 they lose my co-payments. They then charge me extra for not paying them. With no notification. They send me to collection. With no notification. I call them and, after a lengthy conversation which always sounds like the Kaiser staff don't know how their own system works, pay. 50/50 this works. Otherwise, I continue to receive external alerts that Kaiser says I owe them money. This has become a nightmare. The problem isn't my bank. The problem isn't me the user. The problem is either a glitch with their payment system or the incompetence of their staff.

Original review: May 7, 2019

We live in an area where the only Kaiser Pharmacy is clear across town. We have used a local grocery store pharmacy for years, and Kaiser will not cover any of my medications if we use that pharmacy. I have type II diabetes and high blood pressure. So, we are forced to use their pharmacy. For a couple of years, my doctor prescribed a medication, in addition to my **, which helped keep my blood sugar numbers within a controlled state. It also helped lower my A1C level to pre diabetic numbers. Apparently, Kaiser felt this drug to be too expensive to approve, and superseded my doctor's prescription. Now, my levels are once again uncontrolled and my A1C is high. My diet has not changed one bit, and I do not consume sugar or carbs. I guess my life is not worth more than the mighty dollar. Thanks for nothing, Kaiser.

Original review: May 4, 2019

For two years Kaiser misdiagnosed my bilateral hip dysplasia. The only way to fix hip dysplasia is through a surgery called a PAO, which reshapes the pelvis. There are only three surgeons in the state of Colorado that can perform this specialized surgery, and none of these are Kaiser surgeons. For my right hip, I had a wonderful surgeon that was not Kaiser, but the hospital was a Kaiser covered hospital, so Kaiser paid out of network to have my right hip repaired. Now I need to have my left hip repaired, but my surgeon changed hospitals to a hospital that is not covered by Kaiser. Since I am a teacher, it is important that I get my surgery in the summer so that I miss the least amount of school because this is a 13 week recovery period. I had scheduled my left PAO surgery in January for a June surgery date.

I am now being DENIED my SURGERY because my surgeon is working in a non-Kaiser hospital. There are NOT ANY KAISER surgeons and Kaiser hospitals that cover this surgery. Kaiser claims that they will cover conditions that Kaiser doesn't have specialists for. However, they need to put their actions where their mouths are. In the meantime, I am having a lot of hip pain and suffering. Currently, I am fighting to get this lousy insurance to approve my surgery next month. I am disappointed with Kaiser. They misdiagnosed me, and they don't have the proper specialists to fix certain problems. Kaiser is too limiting, and you can't get the proper treatment you need.

Kaiser Permanente expert review by Joseph Burns

Kaiser Permanente is a unique health care management program that is located mainly in the western United States. In California, Colorado and seven other states, patients who have Kaiser coverage get health care services, including hospital stays, at Kaiser health facilities.

• Offers low-cost health plans: Kaiser offers several different levels of service with varying premiums, deductibles and co-pays.

• Kaiser offers all services itself: This company provides health care services as well as health care coverage, making it easier to get needed services and file claims.

• Online application process: It’s easy to get a quote and sign up for Kaiser.

• Best for: Students, employees, heads of families

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Kaiser Permanente Insurance Company Information