Kaiser Permanente Insurance

Compare Health Insurance Companies

Research top Health Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

At age 18, I developed proteinuria and was diagnosed by Kaiser Santa Clara urologist as having benign proteinuria. I had urine protein tests every six months to a year, and diagnosis always remained the same. At age 33, I developed severe right flank pain and was diagnosed by Kaiser Santa Clara ER doctor as having kidney stone. Was told, "I can see the stone on the x-ray and you should pass it in a couple days". I never passed a stone.

Over the next year and a half, I had multiple episodes of "kidney stone pain" diagnosed by x-ray and saw the urologist. I have been through childbirth, and this pain was much worse with severe spasms. I finally demanded to see a nephrologist. Looking at my previous x-rays, the nephrologist reported I never had a stone, that the x-rays clearly showed a congenital defect on my right ureter that had now caused right kidney nephrosis. I was scheduled for stent insertion to decompress the kidney.

On the day of stent insertion, after waiting six hours on a gurney for the procedure to start, I was told the doctor had a family emergency, had left the hospital, and the next soonest date the procedure could be done was 6 weeks away. I could not take the pain for another six weeks and arranged to see a nephrologist at Kaiser Santa Teresa.

Over the next two years, my right kidney function continued to decline, despite multiple stents, and when it reached only 15%, I agreed to an elective right kidney removal to eliminate the pain. I also had a child cousin who died at Kaiser Santa Clara after being given an adult dose of medication, so I got rid of Kaiser.

Now, at age 63, I broke my leg on 12/4/16 and was placed on disability until 3/4/16. My employer sponsored insurance expired on 12/31/16. I had to get insurance through Covered California, and could only afford Kaiser. My insurance was to start 01/01/17 and I had appt to see new PCP in first week of January. I could not get an appt to see the orthopedist, without first seeing the PCP. On 12/19/16, I received bill from Kaiser for January, with payment due by the 26th. I sent in the check. The day before my appointment, when I called to confirm because I had not been called, I was told the coverage had been terminated on 12/21/16, for non-payment, with no reason given. I had to re-apply through Covered California for coverage to start 02/01/17.

In the middle of February, I received a letter from Kaiser that my check was denied because the handwritten line gave the cents as 93, and the other line looked like 98. I have had several people look at the returned check, and they all say they both look like 98 (the correct amount). I have never had payment denied for a supposed five cent discrepancy. Also, if Kaiser denied the check on 12/21/16, and payment was due 12/26/16, they could have called me and I could have immediately made a payment over the phone. Why did it take six weeks before I found out why the check was denied?

When I called to schedule my PCP appt at Kaiser Modesto, I specifically explained I was establishing as new patient yearly preventive exam, which is supposed to be no co-pay. The new PCP was very kind and called me before the appt to discuss my need for immediate referral to the orthopedist. At my appt, my history was obtained, the doctor arranged for the referral and ordered labs and x-rays. My heart and lungs were not listened to and I was told the appointment had not been scheduled as my yearly preventive exam, but as appointment for referral, and I was charged a co-pay. I now have to make another appointment for the yearly physical.

When I saw the podiatrist (Kaiser uses podiatrist for lower leg fractures, not orthopedist), I explained I was currently on disability, with return to work date of 03/04/17. He verbally approved for my return to work on that date. On a Monday, when I brought in my return to work approval form to the forms department to be filled out, I was told there was no notation in my chart that I am on disability and they refused the form. I went to the podiatry department, was told the doctor was at lunch, that when he returned a note would be placed in my chart that I am on disability, that I would then be called later that afternoon to return with the forms. I received no call. The next day, I was told that the doctor would place the note in my chart on Thursday, that I would be called when it was done, and that I could turn in my forms on Friday (today).

After again receiving no call, I called and was told the doctor would not agree to fill out the forms, which are due on 2/20/17, and that the forms must be filled out by the doctor who filled out the original disability forms in December. I now have to cash pay (I no longer have insurance with that doctor) full price for an office visit to see that doctor, with them not being able to tell me how much an office visit is. It could be as much as $900.00. I applied for an extension for the paperwork with my employer, and have now been told that if the forms are not received by 2/28/17, I am fired. The Kaiser podiatrist said he is willing to fill out the paperwork, after I have another appointment with him, with soonest available appointment on 03/07/17. I have explained multiple times that if I do not return to work on 03/04/17, I am fired, and that work will not let me return without the return to work papers turned in by 02/28/17.

I will cancel any future appointments with this podiatrist, who lied to me when I spoke to him in person at the visit. I understand there is no legal requirement for doctors to fill out papers for your work, so there is nothing I can do, but when I can change insurance next January, I will again get rid of Kaiser and absolutely will never use it again! I will somehow come up with the money for the higher priced insurance.

I've been with Kaiser since 1986, as I see it they train the Dr.'s not to care anymore. My recent issue is making an Appointment to TALK to a Dr. & I need to re-up some meds. I was denied to speak to a Dr & I have to call pharmacy to get meds that have expired & out of refills. So easy to talk to a Dr & @ the same time have a script called in. But now I'm not allowed to talk to a medical person at all.

My experience with Kaiser has been exactly like Nicole. From hip to knee. Nothing done after years of complaints, unable to sleep at night from pain, and bouncing back and forth from ortho to PT to ortho to PT. Spent 3 1/2 years doing my own Pilates which was very helpful. Tried shots, acupuncture, deep tissue massage, electrical stimulation, etc. Finally sent to Physical Medicine Rehab. The doctor's first solution was to prescribe ** for the pain so I could get some sleep. That was over five years ago and I can sleep at night as long as I take the **. No one seems to care about finding the source and fixing the problem and I have to keep taking the drug. I now have a pacemaker (that went well) and can no longer get an MRI.

Last year when I was scheduled for gall bladder removal, no one foresaw that I because I have a pacemaker, I needed to have surgery in the hospital, not at the clinic, so they sent me home the morning of surgery. Second time, no one had scheduled a pacemaker tech to be with me, as required, but they went forward with the surgery after the tech said they would check in on me after surgery.

In addition to that, I have had ongoing problems over the past year with getting prescriptions forwarded when we are traveling in the winter months. I find out today that the Mail Order Pharmacy puts very little postage (lightweight parcel select which is less than Junk Mail) on the packages and they cannot be forwarded. The computerized records and online capability (second star) is excellent and I will miss that, but on Jan. 1, we dropped Kaiser and went with United Healthcare.

I have gotten progressively sicker dealing w/ KP. They will ignore documented evidence from my current & prior physicians that show I have fulfilled the requirements for more expensive prescriptions. They deny auto-immune related dental issues as not medical, draw out the appeal process, then get sign off on the denial from someone who has never examined my teeth, is like 80 and apparently collecting checks for rubber stamping KP's greed. I have lost count of how many rude people I have dealt with administratively. The medical pros are OK, but they can't really fight for the patient because the insurer is their boss.

This is the most horrible website. WTF! Can't actually log in because they have to spend 7 days mailing me a password! Really! My son could design a better website. WTF. Mailed so far a half a pound of useless mail. They never sent me Health care cards. Seriously! 30 minutes to an hour on phone to get anything done. Really hard to make online payments.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaiser Permanente?

I always thought Kaiser was one of the best facility to go to, I had Kaiser growing up, move state and came back and went back to Kaiser, but this time around is not the best, it just feel like a animal hospital now. Nobody ever wants to HELP. It just never felts. Each time I go in for my appointment its never scheduled for the right stuff, and lets not even mention the horrible phones service they have. Its so hard to get ahold of your provider or nurse. Honestly if I had a option with my job I would switch ins to be able to go to a private facility.

Kaiser is so screwed up and is quickly becoming the worst health care provider I have ever had. I have been in pain for weeks trying to get an appointment for an MRI, both in CA and in GA. It is a joke. I get appointments that are set and no one tells me. I get hang up on while on hold, so many times. I have service people not call me back after saying they would call me back by the end of the day. I have the West Coast unable to see what is happening in GA. It is frightening to think that doctors in California cannot see what doctors in GA are doing. How can I feel comfortable about trusting Kaiser with my healthcare when your right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing?!!!

It would be comical if it wasn't my health you are putting at risk. It's like dealing with a company who doesn't know how computers work!!! It absolutely hurts my head. You would not believe how many phone calls I have made and still no appointment. Just a short while ago, I was told that the service person would stay on the phone with me until Radiology picked up the phone. The call was dropped and she never called back. This was after she ask my number in case we were disconnected. What has happened to Kaiser??? A TRULY DISAPPOINTED CUSTOMER IN PAIN!!!

I have always had good test results on my annual checkups. 2 months after I began heavy bleeding I asked if I could get myself a ** from a health store. They said that cream is not strong enough. I told 3 other doctors same thing in between my testing and checkups. They ran test and ultrasounds. Said everything was normal but had me stuck on toxic birth control pills. I wanted off. They said that birth control was my only option or a hysterectomy. I found out on my own I could get a endometrial ablation. They said I needed to see surgeon first. He said tie my tubes first and I said fine... I already completed the class for it. So let's do this. He said “No let's give you the **.” I said why would I want to keep these synthetic chemicals in my body?? I said “Can't I do the ** on my own? It has helped to Christian sisters of mine. He said no. Not strong enough.

Then I seen 3 family doctors to check my thyroid because I got so fatigued and 1st one ignored me, said lay off the salt. On previous checkups I was being told I had extra white blood cells but they didn't know why. I asked for further testing on that. They said "No. Only if you feel sick and pain." Anyways so here we are a year later and I'm fatigued with weight gain and constipation, swollen legs and ankles... Doctors not checking my thyroid saying stop eating junk and salt. So the 3rd doctor finally listens to my demands and fully checked my thyroid with the 2 antibodies and sure enough I have hypothyroidism/ hashimoto's! No wonder I was fatigued and bleeding so bad. At this point I was on iud and a pill a day turning into a real witch at home... and severe brain fog. My Christian sisters told me that cream will help you balance your hormones.

So I got the iud removed, started the cream a couple days prior to removal and a week later all my bleeding went away on its own. No more toxic birth control. 4 days ago I told my doctor from Kaiser, that all my bleeding was all gone from the natural cream the best on the shelf... $33.00 took it all away. She said I should not try to fix things by myself and should of stuck with what the ob-gyn said, the birth control! Wth??? Holistic care seems to be so much better than these band-aid fixes these doctors are giving us that can make us more sick. Just do your research. I had to take matters into my own hands or I'd of had a hysterectomy by now. Why don't they really help us??

The doctors who work for Kaiser are OK, but the customer service system they have in place is the most incompetent I have ever dealt with. They have lost paperwork more times than I can count, overcharged me, and refused to cover services that should have been covered under my plan. Do yourself a favor and find another company.

I am writing this review concerning my experience at Santa Clara Kaiser. The reason for the review is that, after talking with someone who had to escalate their concerns for lack of treatment for arthritis, I realized that I am not alone in my experience. In 2014, I began to experience increasing pain in my groin, back and knee. I couldn't lift my knee very well and consequently, kept falling. I saw my doctor and received an x-ray. I was told that I had some arthritis and was given anti-inflammatory meds. It didn't help and the pain worsened. In 2015, I fell and the pain increased. I was told by my doctor that I probably had hip bursitis and was sent to an orthopedic doctor. He didn't see me but an assistant came in and gave me a shot that didn't help.

My doctor then recommended a physical therapist. The therapist told me that she felt that it was my back and not my hip. By this time, I could no longer place any weight on my leg. I walked with a limp and my hip joint clicked and made grinding noises when I tried to dress. The therapist recommended that I tried a stationary bike. I told her that the pain of getting my foot into the pedal was too much. I went back to my GP who sent me back to the orthopedic doctor. He told me that he agreed with the therapist that it was my back and I was sent to a back specialist and an MRI was performed. (I did look at the orthopedic "specialist" sideways when he said that he agreed with the therapist. He's the doctor for goodness sakes.)

I went to the back specialist and on two separate occasions, I was given shots into my back area and told that 80 percent of people who have what I have are not in pain. The last time I saw the back specialist he explained that he was only giving me the shot so that the orthopedic doctor would not send me back to him. January 2016 came around and I had just turned 61 and by now I could barely walk from my car into a grocery store. (I used to hike 10 miles at a time and went to the gym 3 times a week..) I had been laid off from my job but couldn't work and so I asked for temp disability and my doctor allowed this while reiterating that 80 percent of people with my issue have no pain.

I changed insurance companies. In March, I found an orthopedic surgeon out of Stanford who had an x-ray machine in his office. Inside of 30 minutes, I was diagnosed with hip dysplasia that he said, I had all of my life, severe arthritis and bone spurs and was given a date for surgery a month later. After a total hip replacement, I now feel so much better and I am so glad that I changed my insurance. The problem is, I had spent so many months compensating for that pain, I now have chronic back pain and arthritis in my other hip.

I am trying to figure out how Kaiser missed symptoms of severe arthritis and hip dysplasia. I can't help but think that they want people like myself to go away. Orthopedic surgery is costly and I am sure that there is a message trickling down from the top to keep those costs down. In other areas of Kaiser, I have received very good care but that was a low point and I could never trust their orthopedic department again.

The staff at Kaiser that I have met have all been nice, competent people. However, Kaiser has created a system that makes it as difficult as possible for the patient to get health care. Yes, it is highly efficient - for the administrators and accountants, but not for the consumer. I was never given any follow-up appointments. No single health care provider seemed to know who I was. Every attempted contact with Kaiser requires dealing with many layers of automated phone prompts and extended waiting. To be told by a machine (each and every time) "your phone call is very important to us" is an insult. If the call were important I would be speaking to a human.

I rarely go to the doctor because I'm pretty healthy. I chose Kaiser because it was the cheapest option and I have never had issues with any healthcare professionals. I thought that with my minimal visits with the doctor and past healthcare experiences it would be the best option but the cheapest option with Kaiser was not worth it. I had doctors rush me out of their office because they were being timed. I was misinformed on charges that I was going to receive. I have a minor rash under my eye that was misdiagnosed 2x which I have had since May (8 months ago). The rash cost me over 400$ in doctor's visits alone. I made numerous requests to compensate for the charges and get rid of the rash to no avail and eventually opted out of the insurance for a slightly more expensive option. Like I said, I have had very few medical issues in my lifetime.

I spent 3 years living in a developing country with no serious medical issues (saw a doctor 1 time the entire time) and was surprised with how poor the healthcare was with this particular organization. I think our healthcare system is headed in the right direction but it's a shame encountering organizations like this one. From a financial point of view I believe it will be much more advantageous to pay a little more for better quality healthcare to avoid some of the fees that you will encounter with routine medical problems with Kaiser.

I have been a Kaiser Permanente patient for over 20 years. We have always found Kaiser to offer the very best in healthcare. As a Senior on Medicare, I do not understand why Kaiser supports the YMCA which does not and will not offer accept the SilverSneakers program. Kaiser continually stresses exercise to their patients for good health, which benefits us, Kaiser and the government. The YMCA is one of the only places that offer water aerobics. This is a good way for seniors to exercise and does not stress the joints. The Kaiser and the Northside Hospital as major sponsors should be speaking out for the seniors. The Florida YMCAs take the SilverSneakers program which helps those on fixed incomes.

I have had Kaiser insurance since September 2016. I started looking for a doctor in October 2016, and I have been referred to a couple doctors so far. The first is really busy and has trouble scheduling appointments due to being booked up. The second has not yet returned my 2 phone calls in 10 days. Her answering machine did not indicate she was on vacation, and it said she returned calls in 2 business days, but I have not heard back from her. So now I need to look for a THIRD doctor in my area. Kaiser also outsourced my doctor visits to another insurance group, so I have to make multiple phone calls to get an appointment.

I am not writing now about the care, but about the difficulty it is dealing with Kaiser. Whether it be obtaining records, or even trying to pay my bill, as I am now, this place is impossible. I have now been waiting 40 minutes - to pay my bill!

I have been a paying (not government subsidized) customer of Kaiser for 4 years now. It's done. It's over. I have had allergies for years and as the seasons change I get stuffed up and sometimes they get out of control and I get swollen tonsils, sore throat, fever, etc. I can't get sleep. I have a tough time breathing. I get miserable for at least a week. I used to have a good doctor when I had BCBS, when I had these issues about once a year I'd at least get some strong cough syrup so I could get some sleep to help me get over it a little quicker. But heck this last visit into Kaiser the doctor I was running a fever, my nose was plugged and I was limping by on Advil. The nurse said my pulse was high and my blood pressure was high.

I sat down with the doctor. He wanted blood tests and to put me on an iv fluids drop because he said I was dehydrated that was causing the elevated pulse as I pulled out two bottles of water and said I had to pee twice while waiting in your waiting room. He wanted to send me for chest X-rays etc. I told him my pulse and BP is high because of the fever. He told me, "No." The nurse wrote down my temperature was 98.7 that I'm not running a fever. I told him, "I checked my temperature before I left my house it was 101, I can feel when I'm running a fever." We argued about if I had a fever or not, rather than him re-checking my temp, or checking my BP the nurse took with my sleeve rolled down 4 times. I told him I don't want to be admitted overnight, I just want something to help me get some sleep. He said he can't give me anything, and he told me to go out to see the nurse she will give me my discharge paperwork.

I went out this time to a different nice nurse. I requested if she could check my temp, BP and pulse again. She said, "Gladly," and looked at my charts while checking my BP with my sleeve rolled up. My BP was 128/71 pulse of 100... I agree my pulse was high but my BP was great, my temp the second time was 101.3. She spotted Zyrtec on my chart, and asked me if I'm taking the Zyrtec D. I said, "Yes." She asked me when I last took it. I said, "A couple hours ago." She said, "Well a fever with Zyrtec D is going to elevate your numbers." It took one nice nurse to help this disastrous derailment of a doctor's visit. What a concept looking at a patient's records. Anyways, she went in to talk to the doctor and the doctor recommended Motrin and crap I could buy at Walgreens. Nothing to improve my sleep.

This is how it has been for the last 4 years. You have to fight them to get any care and they treat you for this once a year visit like you are a drug addict or trying to shake them down for prescriptions. The only pill I take is Zyrtec and when my allergies are bad I take a Zyrtec D to unplug my nose. So if you check my charts you'll see I don't have any prescriptions. I have one recommendation of Zyrtec. I pay almost $4,000/yr to see a doctor once a year for about 10 minutes to hopefully get a bottle of cough medicine or something to help me sleep when I get a cold and I don't even leave there with the bottle of cough syrup. Where is my money going. Anyways, thank you Obama for ruining the healthcare system. Kaiser is so bad I'm willing to opt for a high deductible PPO plan to just get away from this disaster. Stay clear of Kaiser.

The last 6 times I've tried to pick up a standard monthly refill of my daughter's Vyvanse there is always something screwed up. I feel bad for the pharmacy techs because the problems usually relate to some messed up system that Kaiser has put in place. Each time I learn some new part of the system that would have been helpful to know at the beginning. Customer service here really stinks.

I had a very bad experience with the call center as I was trying to renew my prescription. She was very rude, impatient, and I could hear her and the other workers laughing in the background. She spoke over me, interrupted me, and hung up on me as well. Very bad service! Time was 4:40 on December 14. Very disappointing for having been a patient for over 15 years.

My insurance is about to change. I checked in 15 minutes late for my appointment. Not only did the provider refuse to see me, but a staff member who clearly saw a patient, me, standing in the area had the nerve to say I should've been on time. I felt very disrespected and that she was very unprofessional. She was even rude enough to say she wasn't afraid to say it in front of me. If you have a choice, take your healthcare business elsewhere. You are just a number up Kaiser and their staff.

My mother recently had surgery at Kaiser Permanente off Sunset. I couldn't believe what horrible service was provided. We kept informing staff my mother was allergic to **. Instead of providing her with something less strong they were giving her a medication 2 times stronger than **. Anytime she complained she felt tired or that her sodium was low they'd dope her up on more pain killers. In the end I had to get into an argument with a nurse because she refused to check her sodium. Everyone's response we're not the doctor’s secretary. One day my mother yelled for over an hour to have someone come help her to the restroom. Finally after much argument with the nurses they finally check her other vitals and found we were not lying and she did in fact have her sodium low and her heart was sky rocketing. I couldn't believe they almost killed my mom. This hospital needs a complete personnel over haul. Worst than county hospital!

If you love being nickel and dimed, Kaiser Permanente is the place for you! Been a Kasier Permanente victim for over 10 years now. I can now honestly say they are now the worst healthcare provider my family has ever joined. Started out fine, progressively and steadily declined. My son, who is an avid rock climber, prone to forearm hernias, got a hernia. Easily diagnosed using google and google images. Figured he might need to see a doctor...Off we sent him to see Dr. ** at KP in Escondido, CA, where I had a similar if not worse encounter with a Dr. Mirwais ** (another one to steer clear of).

After spending 55.00, Dr. ** promptly told him just to "Keep an eye on it", that it could also be a "cyst", and sent him on his way. A cyst? How does that occur so quickly after a rock climb Dr. **? No follow up appointment was scheduled. This is just another in a developing line of poorly diagnosed afflictions our family endures with Kaiser Permanente. Save your hard-earned money and go with anyone other than these clowns.

I agree with another who wrote on Dr. Eric ** in Glendale, I only see one time about I need to stay on pain medication in order to stay out ER every other day. This stupid Dr. ** have some really issues wrong with him. He going to prescribed more pain medication and then prescribed some blood pressure medication name ** which I took that it had me feeling like I'm going to heart attack. And he do talk to you, he have the pharmacy to talk to you. Now he told me that my serious conditions is proven and it's is a daily constantly pain. I explained to him how I feel every day with serious condition because Kaiser doctors did this to malpractice. And now he put in my file that he wants me off pain medication so basically so I can be pain everyday, well see about because I'm going to Congress on Kaiser Permanente in South Bay too.

My primary doctor told me that everyone who has chronic pain will be taken off their medication due to some CDC guidelines and that not true. My family is doing the research on the Kaiser Permanente and is just their policy not the law. And before I leave this crooked hospital they're are not taking me off nothing. And how dare that dr. Eric ** giving me the ** and I told him I'm going to find out what this medication is use for he told me it for pain. He lie old b. My primary doctor told me different. She said they give that to people who is coming off of ** because they will have the shakes. I got mad and I'm reporting all if pain management doctors who just want to expert on me. Like putting in scs battery in me there are quacks and putting cells in pancreas now ing I will died on table.

Kaiser Permanente is going to sue big time for letting chronic disease patients suffer. Dr. ** tell me he is losing his patients because he stop their pain medication because of unknown cause of pain but yours is known and it is a fact. Please my mri show my pancreas is completely damage and it giving time I will die. They did to me and now they wanted me suffer with this. We will see about it. They are treating people like there are selling and addictive. You do know me.

My primary doctor I had for years she know me and if have to follow what Kaiser policy and stop prescribing my medication so I can somewhat be relief of my serious conditions we will see about that too. Something going on with Kaiser Permanente going broke because other hospital is not doing this. And I'm leaving Kaiser Permanente for I'm fighting for my life and I'm fighter with my type 2 diabetes on ** too. And thank you Kaiser for turning me to be diabetic. I sue you once and I will sue you again. One days doctors you will be sick too and in pain and you going to suffer too.

I am considered high risk with my pregnancy and unfortunately I'm stuck with Kaiser insurance, which is a joke. I am 30 weeks pregnant and they "forgot" to have me pee in a cup to check for protein in my urine... which is standard at every visit. I have not had one protein test in 30 weeks. Also, I have fibroid tumors in my uterus and my OB doesn't seem to care. I've asked to check them since during my last pregnancy I had a fibroid grow to the size of a grapefruit, but my OB is unconcerned and waiting for the standard 32 week ultrasound. (I was told it was because ultrasounds are very expensive and I can only have 3 of them).

I am having pain and tenderness near my cervix where the tumor is as I type this review. They're also mismanaging my thyroid disease so I'm paying out of pocket to go to my old doctor. Since having someone else help with my thyroid I am feeling much better in that department - NO THANKS TO KAISER! If you have a choice do not go with this insurance company. You would be better off with some voodoo witch doctor!!! Most of the physicians I have seen over the last few years are pompous jerks and I can't think of one scenario where they've actually helped with something important. AVOID.

KAISER does not care for the elderly. I'm Washington DC and my mom is being treated like crap. Went to ER for hallucinations and was told she was ok after doctor saw first hand. I believe they did not want to pay for her to get help. My mom is in her 80's. It's also a practice to tell ** there is nothing they can do for their loved one. THIS HAS TO STOP!!! People of other nationalities get priority treatment, all the help in the world. I'm putting this out there. Once they found out my was ** the treatment was downhill.

My primary messed up my thyroid a year ago, and keeps trying to push pills (medications) on me. She prescribes meds that interfere with my thyroid, and refuses to acknowledge her mistakes. She treats me like I am paranoid, and blames me for her mistakes. I am annoyed with their automated answering system because I've had to wait over a half hour on hold, and I can never reach the person that I've tried to call back. Their physicians and nurses keep bypassing my email messages and so my treating physician is not making informed decisions. I've requested a specialist (Endocrinologist) in order to get my thyroid medication and levels stabilized again, and she ignores my requests. I had to go to an ER to get my level rechecked and I'm surprised that I'm still alive because my levels are dangerously low.

The plan is overpriced, and the co-pay is increasing by $10 for 2017. I don't like having to travel long distances in order to be seen by one of their providers or to be seen at an urgent care or emergency room. Their support staff is rude, and not well-informed. There are too many telephone numbers and email addresses that have nothing to do with the area that I live in, and I've often been referred to these telephone numbers. The mail order pharmacy is not able to answer questions about how the local KP Pharmacy orders their medications. It's a JOKE!

My mother died of cirrhosis (sp) of liver due to Dr. Joanna **, assistant head of gastroenterology dept. at santa clara, Kaiser. She received excellent care until her doctor at the time resigned. Dr. **, if you can call her that, stopped checking her iron levels. She had been diagnosed with hemochromatosis. If iron levels are left unchecked it will become cirrhosis of the liver because there is too much iron in the blood. There was and is no excuse for committing my mother to a long and painful illness and early death. Please be aware of her lack of skill and compassion. This person should not be a doctor and certainly not assistant head of a major department.

Ever since I had Kaiser I cannot get an appointment with my primary care physician that was assigned to me Dr **. This doctor is never available, so I have to see another primary. They have messed up my Thyroid medication the last couple of times and now the physician will not refill it because I have not seen her. Why doesn't Kaiser document if a primary is not available and they sent patient to another primary??? This is extremely poor patient management. Doctor doesn't return my calls or pharmacy calls. Now I am in urgent care getting my Thyroid medication filled and I been here for 2.5 hrs. Unbelievable!! I strongly suggest if you have a choice DO NOT PICK KAISER!!

I have to start off by saying I am completely biased because I absolutely hate having Kaiser. Without a doubt, have hated it for years and have been on it since 2013. One would think having all of your health care in one building would be helpful but I have been consistently let down by Kaiser for years. They make phone appointments without your knowledge, hire some of the least professional staff I've ever encountered, frequently miscommunicate, and share health information without permission. This was my fault after seeking mental health services at Kaiser I wasn't explicitly made aware that I needed to keep filling out forms saying that I did not want my diagnosis of depression to be placed off of my medical record and I just feel like my signing of one form would have been enough but apparently not. It should have been made clearer but I suppose I also could have asked but why would I after filling out that form on my first visit?

Member services is perhaps (by far) the worst part about Kaiser as a phone call can take an average of 15 min (the average of my calls together, I kept track after the first year). I can get past the sheer amount of time that it takes to be on the phone with them but the miscommunication and unprofessionalism is so extreme that I dread calling them. It's not enough to just email. With Kaiser, the way you can contact them is limited and when you send an email message to the doctor's office it basically goes right to the doctor (I feel like I should be able to email front desk instead of medical records or a nurse not just the nurse advice line, etc.).

I understand lots of bureaucratic processes are a part of healthcare and as I work in healthcare I know how important documentation is but one would think again, having all of your healthcare together would limit how many forms and how many things you fill out. I know I literally just explained about the mental health services but right now I'm referring to the fact that I have to jump through one million hoops to get care. I would never in one million years choose this insurance again if I had the option (have to have it because of work because it's the cheapest option out there). Coverage is the only place Kaiser does well at and I have to say that's probably the most important aspect of insurance so I shouldn't complain too much.

However, I feel like I need to say something so someone, who is considering adding Kaiser to their company or someone looking for individual coverage knows the many, many MANY downsides to this insurance. I know it's cheaper than others and I really do like my providers and coverage but it is like pulling teeth to do ANYTHING and I am a person in good health who can't get the simple care I need. Also, be ready to go to the correct hospital if you do fall ill because you can receive huge charges if you don't pick the one they want you to.

I went in to Kaiser Permanente, San Marcos California in the morning of 11/1/16 feeling really sick requesting for an appointment. She said I cannot be seen until 2:50 and that I should've call them earlier. I told receptionist that I didn't start feeling really horrible until now. I had to come back at 2:50 pm because she said she had nothing. She even added that I should've called earlier if I wanted any appointments. The Physician Assistant assigned to me briefly spoke to me, did the regular stethoscope, checked my ears and throat visually and touched my lymph nodes. He didn't ask much questions or probed more and concluded I had Bacterial Infection. I was given ** and antibiotics ** & a doctor's note to take a day off.

I got worse and came back to urgent care on 11/7/16. I was told by the same receptionist that they have no appointment and that I would get a phone consult about 4 hours from that time. It was then that I asked "what if this is really serious, what options are you giving me." This is only when she suggested I go to Urgent Care. I saw Dr. David ** and explained how bad this could be and shared all my symptoms again. He claims I have Bronchitis to which I said "could it be Dengue fever since I told you guys that I just came from a tropical country and had mosquito bites." He also did not do anything extra but use his stethoscope. He said it's unlikely and was about to end our convo when I said that I would like to check so I need something done. He didn't do any extra tests to me either but thankfully he agreed to order blood work for me after MY suggestion.

After blood work, I was emailed by my actual primary physician, Dr. Richard **, on 11/10/16 and said that my antibody level for Dengue fever is elevated. Then he added that no specific treatment or follow-up is recommended per the people he consulted with. I emailed him back explaining how is this possible when people with Dengue fever had died! I demanded for a platelet count that evening via email. No one contacted me the next day so at 7:40 am, I called Kaiser and requested for blood work myself. The lab assistant was going to say no because my doctor didn't order it so I insisted that I at least have an email that can show them. Fortunately, she scheduled me at 9:40 am the same day. Before I got my blood drawn, Dr. ** finally emailed me saying he finally ordered what I recommended, as a patient, for myself.

I'm upset that I have been misdiagnosed two times. Been given antibiotics, then asked to continue this on another diagnosis that isn't supposed to take antibiotics and then after confirmation on MY OWN GUESS, was told that there is nothing that needs to be done. I could've died during the times both initially staff didn't take me seriously. This is not appropriate.

My Name is Asha and I've been taking care of my aunt Joyce ** for some time now. Picking up the pieces that Kaiser had broken apart. She has this terrible diabetes disease and heart disease. Kaiser has been administering/prescribing a high dose amount of insulin for my aunt to levels that caused her to go into diabetic shock. In November 2015 my aunt Joyce ** had been rushed to the ER while on In Home Support care through Kaiser, because of a pressure wound on her leg Kaiser failed to acknowledge.

With that ER visit she had stayed over a period of 6 months in the hospital. With Kaiser racking up her medicare bill and taking $900 a month from her retiree allotment insurance. While being treated for the pressure wound, one doctor at Kaiser noticed that she had CHF which is why she stayed so long in the hospital. They ran test and said it's inoperable and she has 6 months to live! Placed her on hospice.

Joyce ** was placed on hospice March-September at a Kaiser facility called Coming Home. There she did not die and was discharged from hospice after 6 months! The family refused to pay for any nursing facility because of Kaiser negligence, so Kaiser hospice social worker Erica, place my aunt at AgeSong, assisted living for one month where she was rushed to the hospital ER for her blood pressure and low sugar! (She needed nursing 24 hr care not assisted living). While at ER the doctors couldn't understand why she was taken out of hospice and referred her back.

The In Home care nurse and hospice director rejected THAT referral and placed her back at AgeSong. While at AgeSong they didn't bathe her nor take care of her. She acquired pressure wounds severely deep and painful. Kaiser - Erica hospice social worker - told our family they were only paying for one month at AgeSong and that we needed to figure out where to put my aunt who were still dying from her conditions. So Social worker Ericka placed my aunt in Omare a boarding care facility.

When visiting my aunt I noticed she didn't have a bath nor did her dressings get changed from her pressure sores she acquired at AgeSong. She smelled like feces and dressings on her legs were leaking and dirty. She acquired bed sores that were painful. While at this boarding care facilities, In Home support from Kaiser had been overseeing the care of these facilities and allowing the progression to continue without mentioning.

Joyce was sent to the ER for the last time from the abuse and neglected care received from Omare. The In home nurse finally reported her conditions and they sent her to the ER. She had bed wounds so deep she was heavily sedated with ** for her pain. Kaiser then placed her back on HOSPICE care. Sunday November 6, 2016 I visited with my aunt and she was feeling better and the pain had subsided. Tuesday November 8, was my aunt discharge date and before her discharge she was given 10 mg of **.

I later learned Kaiser were administering 10 mg of ** per hour for my aunt's pressure sores. The family wasn't notified of these procedures and when my aunt returned to her home for hospice care she was almost brain dead from the overmedicated doses received from Kaiser! It is now November 11, 2016 and my aunt is still delusional and incoherent from the dosage of ** received from Kaiser South City campus.

The family was given the ** to continue the care at home but my aunt is unresponsive, blood pressure extremely low, and not eating! This huge turn around happened in three days of just going to the ER for pressure sores and wound care! Kaiser failed! They overmedicated her with ** which caused an allergic reaction and now she almost brain dead! She was coming home to receive hospice care with CHF and diseased body from diabetes. Now we're dealing with yet another problem Kaiser caused from their neglected care!

Our family has filed grievance with Livanta and member services. We get to get compensated for what my aunt had endured and is now still enduring. We have a great hospice team from Vitas helping us take care of my aunt now, and we're seeking legal help to prevent Kaiser from doing this to another family! Please refrain from picking Kaiser as your healthcare. They're heartless and are now an entity for profit!

Expert Review

Joseph BurnsHealth Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.    More about Joseph→

Kaiser Permanente is a unique health care management program that is located mainly in the western United States. In California, Colorado and seven other states, patients who have Kaiser coverage get health care services, including hospital stays, at Kaiser health facilities.

• Offers low-cost health plans: Kaiser offers several different levels of service with varying premiums, deductibles and co-pays.
  • Kaiser offers all services itself: This company provides health care services as well as health care coverage, making it easier to get needed services and file claims.
  • Online application process: It’s easy to get a quote and sign up for Kaiser.
  • Best for Students, employees, heads of families