Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

Kaiser Permanente Insurance

Kaiser Permanente Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.82/5

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

Kaiser Permanente Insurance Reviews

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

I’ve been with Kaiser Permanente about 5 1/2 years. My husband and I buy our own insurance, he is self employed. I’d had United Health Care, our insurance broker was sold on Kaiser Permanente, after much thought and consideration I decided to use KP. My husband won’t, based on old information and the fact that he is bull headed! After reading the most current negative reviews, I’m wondering when I might experience what others have. I have found KP to be a smooth running machine in all aspects. I have always had great communication with KP and my doctors; I love being able to email them with questions I have knowing I will hear back within a day or so.

As others have noted, everything under one roof (for the most part). Beautiful facilities, clean, up to date equipment. Phlebotomists who know how to get what they need the first time with little or no discomfort. Minimal wait times!!! Getting my prescriptions through the mail (not having to stand in line at the drugstore with people who are sick). I know I am heard voicing concerns. I’ve had surgery on my foot; first time 2 1/2 years ago, a serious problem developed that required lots of attention and months of treatment.

The bone would not fuse together as a result. Had the surgery redone 7 months ago and all went well. My doctor and another she conferred with, immediately went into attention mode and they were on top of things all the way through. My faith and trust in her remains. My KP premiums are high and jump about $200.00 each year, they have been over $1000.00 a month. As of today, I am on Medicare with KP. I hope my positive review will see no less professionalism.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

I had 2 stress test at Cardiology Department. I was so nervous. Justin ** nurse cardiology and Jasmine ** EKG tech, Dr Parikh ** made me feel comfortable. They take care of me to whole process. My husband and I are thinking to switch to different health insurance next year but with this experience I had today that made us think twice. I wish that all department are like them. Kudos to all staffs at Cardiology Department! Thank you so much.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 14, 2019

So, I had this thing on my chest, I thought it was an ingrown hair. It kept getting bigger, and bigger. I tried warm compresses, the scab would come off, I'd clean it with hydrogen peroxide. It didn't hurt but it just kept getting bigger. I've got a 5 day river trip coming up and 3 days before my departure date. I figured that I'd better do something. On my lunch break on Tuesday I made an appointment with my general practitioner (who I hadn't seen in 8 years) I couldn't believe it. I was able to get an appointment at 10:00 on Wednesday!

I go to see my doctor, Sankari **, MD in San Ramon, Ca. She is the most personable doctor I've ever had, we chatted like old friends, seriously, I might invite her and her family over for a BBQ. She looked at my chest and determined that it would need to be surgically removed. She scheduled me an appointment with WS * MD at Kaiser in Walnut Creek for 1:30 that same day! I went to see Dr. **. He looked at it and said that he would schedule a surgery. His assistant pointed out that he had about 20 minutes, right now. They had me in a operation room in less that 10 minutes and 15 minutes later a marble sized cyst was removed from my chest and I was stitched up. I know things don't always go this smoothly but all involved knew that I needed to get this done in a hurry and made it happen.

Original review: April 13, 2019

My husband and I have Kaiser insurance through our employers and we are very happy with our plans. I have a facility close by my work if I have a doctor's appointment, need lab work, x-ray, or the pharmacy it's all right there. Kaiser has all health history online and computers in each exam room. My husband had back surgery 3 years ago, and shoulder surgery 1 year ago he had excellent doctors and care both times. Kaiser health plans are the most expensive HMO plans offered by both our companies, however they are so efficient it's worth it.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I love Kaiser, anything I have needed done they have taken care of it. I would not be as comfortable with anyone else. When I had cataracts they took care of it and also got rid of the excess skin above my eye. They did my appendix and my gall stones. When my husband got cancer they did everything possible to save him. His Dr. even sent me a sympathy card. Everything you need is in one location that you need often. Other things like place to pick up a walker could be in a building close by.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaiser Permanente?

Original review: March 21, 2020

I have Kaiser health insurance and I've been really sick lately so I've been to some doctor's office. I feel like the staffs here (doctors in general) don't really seem to care for the patient. I've tried to explain what's going on with my health condition and some of them don't even listen to my concerns, providing false reassurance. They will try to skirt around every possible way to avoid being reliable. I asked for a procedure and they just seem to ignore it. I'm so fed up with this low quality, incompetent doctors here. Please do yourself a favor and apply different insurance.

Original review: March 21, 2020

I have been a Kaiser Patient for 10 years. Unfortunately Kaiser is all my employer offers. Everything I will tell you I can back with documents. Sent to ER 4 times due to incompetence of Kaiser pain management. Gave me script over phone. Never check medical records. Life threatening blood pressure spikes 230/120. Drs at Kaiser could not even fix mistake.

I suffered,, lucky my heart and arteries held. I had to cure myself. Last time Drs told me go to ER. I refused when my BP spiked due to poison **. Beware of this drug if you are hypertensive. It brought on uncontrollable Bradycardia. Then I could not stop taking **. Needed to be weaned off at Hospital but the drug ** did same thing to me. Sooo incompetent are they. All their answers for what they did to me conflicted.

So I used my old BP medicine ** and over the counter ** to relax my stomach from Bradycardia and ** did not effect my arteries. After two day my BP came down. Please watch every medication they give you. DO NOT TRUST KAISER DOCTOR. None check your history before they prescribed. I can back every I'm telling you with emails paperwork. I care more for you than any Kaiser Dr. Beware. Watch what they do if you're unfortunate like me and Kaiser is your only choice. Thank you if you read.

Original review: March 13, 2020

The care you receive from the PCP’s are the worst..unless if you are elderly or over the age of 50, the pcp will likely dismiss your concerns. There is no out of network benefit, so you are subjected to incompetent doctors..I would recommend any other health plan.

Original review: March 12, 2020

Called different offices to get a copy of the pharmacy co-payments for last year. I was directed to the San Diego Records office where one time I waited 16 minutes, she said go online and fill out the form. Got online and couldn’t find form for pharmacy insurance. Called back waited 22 minutes and the lady sent me the Link and kept telling me follow instructions and hung up. No compassion or care for people that can’t understand the instructions. Called back and someone else at the benefits office helped me although she was frustrated since I have no computer skills. What about just mailing them or have them on a page for people to print.

Original review: March 11, 2020

I got Kaiser Permanente insurance through my employer last year. Unfortunately there were no other options available. First of all, their primary care physicians barely do any type of exams. All they do is gather medical info from you, and if you have any issues, they refer you to a specialist to charge you more money! I have Epilepsy, and rather than being proactive and assigning me a neurologist, their policy is to wait until I have a major episode, which is totally idiotic. I also recently had an eye exam. Just a normal regular checkup that I could've got to Lenscrafters or anywhere to get. For some reason I was charged $300 for the exam!!! When I called to ask why, they could not tell me!! Outrageous!! This type of so called care is unacceptable!

Kaiser Permanente expert review by Joseph Burns

Kaiser Permanente is a unique health care management program that is located mainly in the western United States. In California, Colorado and seven other states, patients who have Kaiser coverage get health care services, including hospital stays, at Kaiser health facilities.

• Offers low-cost health plans: Kaiser offers several different levels of service with varying premiums, deductibles and co-pays.

• Kaiser offers all services itself: This company provides health care services as well as health care coverage, making it easier to get needed services and file claims.

• Online application process: It’s easy to get a quote and sign up for Kaiser.

• Best for: Students, employees, heads of families

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Kaiser Permanente Insurance Company Information