Compare Quotes and Save

Compare Quotes and Save

Find Short Term Health Insurance

Shop Plans Today

989 Kaiser Permanente Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 18, 2019

This is the worse Insurance company I've ever seen. Rip off, Shady, dishonest on billing, and very bad customer service. Don't go with this company if you don't want to be ripped off all of your money.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I have an on and off face rash that I still don't know the cause of today. The doctor I had before Kaiser said it was contact dermatitis. Now when I went to Kaiser the first few times, they also said it was contact dermatitis and put me on a steroid to reduce inflammation. All this would be in my medical records I assume, so why now, are they changing their minds. I've had this rash enough times to know it's not Mono or Lupus. I had a mono rash (No thanks to them, they put me on antibiotics thinking it was strep) and it covered my entire body in red bumps. My face doesn't look like that now, but they still think it's mono. Or Lupus! It could be anything to them at this point!

Doctor wasn't listening to me when I explained my symptoms, immediately thought it was Lupus because I had "joint pain" when I just explained my face was swollen, no pain anywhere else. The doctors treat me like I'm a moron every time I go there, barely listening to me and more often than not just telling me to "Wait it out". The nurses are a lot more polite and actually listen to you, but for some reason after telling the nurse everything wrong with me, the doctor has to ask me all over again and doesn't have a single clue.

Their Urgent Care facilities take ages for you to finally be seen, and even after that you're alone in a room for hours upon hours. They prescribed me about TEN BOTTLES of antibiotics for the Mono I had. Told me to take 3 Advils for the pain. I have heart palpitations regularly, and that only made it worse. The hospital I went to that WASN'T Kaiser were upset that they would give me antibiotics for Mono. All in all, you're better off somewhere else. Kaiser Permanente is terrible, and you can bet I won't come back here when I can switch insurances. If you're someone who doesn't have any serious health problems and only need routine checkups and vaccines, this is probably best for you. But if you're have anything seriously wrong with you, you're out of luck with this insurance company.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I chose Kaiser Permanente with Medicare's help, when moving to MD. Now, I do understand all the bad reviews! How can such lousy member services get 5 stars with Medicare??? I have been with Kaiser since February 1st and I paid TWO month premium already, yet, they refuse to mail me their medical providers book for my area. I have been paying a premium but I do NOT have a PCP??? I never received a letter from Kaiser giving me a PCP's name and address. I asked for that providers book four times already, but almost one and a half month later they never provided that book. Kaiser: Not every senior has a computer 24/7. Medicare told me I could choose another insurance.

Original review: March 10, 2019

Kaiser will not help you if you have neck injury and need surgery. I have cervical spinal stenosis from double whiplash and major bone spurs. They will put you through months of PT, and then refer you to physiatry. They said they do not do surgery for this. They make your life miserable and live in pain and they don't care. I have many family members and friends who have had surgery for this problem outside of Kaiser. Kaiser is CHEAP. But if you want to change from a women to a man or vice versa, it will be paid for. Or have an abortion - it's free. Kaiser is Satan. Evaluate your values and morals before choosing this backwards insurance.

Original review: March 9, 2019

This is perhaps the worse insurance I have experienced and I can’t wait to change during open enrollment. Their service is very limiting and doesn’t care about the people. Instead they treat you like a number and is overwhelming. It takes too long to schedule an appointment, they consistently ask you for your record number as if you are a number and then you sit, wait and pay for nothing. I’m sick of this insurance.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaiser Permanente?

Original review: March 7, 2019

Across ALL depts, care is superficial. Wrong diagnosis 80-90% of the time, because they employ folks that have a very narrow understanding of the human body, and are not allowed to do needed diagnostics. Even with rare correct dx, they only treat symptoms & NEVER address root causes. Generally doctors are 20-30 years behind in their knowledge base (regardless of their age).

It often takes appointments with 5-6 different people to find the one person in that dept that is competent and does make correct diagnosis. This has been true for minor stuff (dermatological), for ortho stuff (refusing to do the MRI that showed torn tendons), HNS/ENT (surgeon was about to do a repair that would have NOT repaired 3 of the 5 issues), sleep dept (in my case I had a verifiable BREATHING issue with my nose, they will say that you have apnea and anxiety), primary care. For vestibular issues/TBI's - there is NO in-house access to therapy. They will not let you schedule most appts thru the website, but phone centers are understaffed and you can be on hold for a couple of hours to schedule an appointment. Seriously - do NOT use Kaiser unless you have to.

Original review: March 5, 2019

Went to the Urgent Care department due to extreme bleeding when having a bowel movement. Was humiliated and told that the extreme bleeding was due to hemorrhoids. When I explained that I had these hemorrhoids since giving birth to my first child more than 45 years ago and that they had NEVER bled like that before I was told that a little blood goes a long way. Fast forward, I went in for a colonoscopy; which I had to request due to the fact that my grandfather had died of colon cancer and EVERY member of my family had polyps. I was told by the physician that I would NOT be put to sleep because he said I wouldn't want to die like Michael Jackson. The doctor discovered 4 polyps and proceeded to cut them out. I had been given just enough medicine to render me unable to cry out, but the barbaric removal of these polyps without any medicine was excruciating.

I wanted to scream with the pain. They then had someone come behind me and grab me in a vice-like bear hug squeezing me until it felt like my stomach was touching my back. Finally I was given something to make me sleep very briefly. I was subsequently diagnosed with diverticulosis which is probably the reason for the severe bleeding when I went to the Urgent Care. I was most likely having diverticulitis at the time. If Kaiser cannot SEE something they won't spend the time to look for the answer. Your pain is labeled gastritis or Gerd. Two populations are most likely to suffer from this big government type of health care are seniors and small newborns. I personally know three young women whose infants were born and died at Kaiser. I knew the elderly would be seen as expendable, but I never imagined that they would save money by not doing anything to help newborn babies.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I inform my Dr ** that I was going to Miami to visit my great granddaughter for two months. I am 85 years old, and had an accident and broke two vertebrae from my back. I went to emergency twice and need follow up, and Kaiser Permanente does not get approve the follow up appointments. I am here without care or medicines already for two weeks. In the emergency room they recommend a cardiologist and a neurosurgeon and Kaiser Permanente and Dr ** just don’t care, I have still a month to come back. They just want me to do everything over the emergency room which is expensive because medicate covered not them even when they advertise in the web page that they will approve follows up for accidents outside the network or the city, it is just a lie. I also think they discriminate me for my age and my race.

Original review: March 4, 2019

Kaiser is horrible, they will lie to you, they will over prescribe to you, and they only treat symptoms. They ARE NOT interested in finding the problem, only prescribing meds to make you feel better. They over prescribed blood pressure meds to me, I thought my head was going to explode. I am borderline high blood pressure. Can't wait to see where they are slapped with a Class Action lawsuit. I didn't want to give them one star rating, but this program makes you give at least one. I would give a negative star if possible.

Original review: March 2, 2019

This is the worst health insurance possible. This is the poster child of socialized medicine where you just might die waiting for care. We live In The mountains and Kaiser just closed their only office in Evergreen. You need a prescription? Forget that because if you live in Conifer, Evergreen, or beyond you have no pharmacy unless you drive down the hill. I cut myself and was bleeding profusely and spent an hour trying to find a Kaiser facility to get treatment. Tried calling the member services number and explained how profusely I was bleeding.

After being put on hold, while blood was spurting everywhere, I was told to go to Swedish Medical. The cut was so bad it required a plastic surgeon and an overnight stay in the hospital. I needed to get a prescription filled while being released and again told so sorry but there is no pharmacy can go to. Close to my home so instead of being able to. Go home, I have to drive around and. Try to find a Kaiser pharmacy that is open. Also, they do not have INR machines except in two facilities that are far away so getting INR readings with Kaiser is ancient technology. Kaiser truly is the worst!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I dunno what this issue is but I am very unhappy with Kaiser!! They are ok to take a premium, but any work is frowned upon. I am so sick of corporate **!! I have an issue with no sleep and troubles not coughing! I called to see if I can get cough syrup with **.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I am a retired professional health care provider (45 years of experience in cardiovascular & pulmonary clinical & hospital technology practice) who has worked in a number of counties (including Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, United States, etc.) during my career. I have personally subscribed to the Kaiser Permanente HMO system for more than 25 years, more recently in the 'Senior Advantage' program. I have also worked for the Kaiser Permanente HMO as a nurse. I began my undergraduate studies (back in the 70s) with the intent of becoming a 'health care administrator'.

My experience with Kaiser, both from within and without, has shown me that Kaiser Permanente is an excellent health insurance option for individuals who are nominally healthy or only moderately afflicted with chronic illnesses. Kaiser generally has very good major medical care coverage (hospitalisation), but it fails somewhat in the routine 'clinical care' category that most of us rely upon for non-severe illness and every-day medical problems (colds, allergies, etc.). Kaiser maintains strict controls over costs (obviously desiring to keep the bottom line financially profitable) and this translates into some noticeable reluctance to authorise potentially costly or more expensive diagnostic studies (or referrals to specialists), unless it has been well-determined and documented that they are both beneficial to the patient and to the organisation's financial bottom line.

Furthermore, Kaiser seems to have what I call a 'Band-Aid & Aspirin' clinical treatment philosophy, in that Kaiser prefers to engage in symptom relief rather than in actual etiological investigation (relief of pain, rather than determination of possibly elusive and complex causative factors), whenever possible. If a Kaiser primary care or family provider refers a patient to a specialist, he/she had better have a very good reason (that can be justified beyond question to professional review boards), otherwise internal financial review committees may be quite judgmental in determining whether or not the expense is warranted).

Although Kaiser makes a big public relations argument that its patients get to 'choose their doctors', this is somewhat misleading in that there is a distinctly limited number of physicians that are 'offered' for a consumer to choose from, at any given time. In many cases, most of these are relatively new doctors (although quite qualified in most cases) with not a lot of actual clinical experience. Kaiser also hires a great many foreign trained physicians (and nurses) who may wish to obtain board-certification in their respective fields by completing a certain term of non-certified employment in order to qualify for board-certification. Typically many lower-ranked Kaiser physicians often spend a few years with the HMO and then seek more lucrative employment elsewhere.

Finally, Kaiser engages in what I term 'over-subscription', which means that it encourage consumers to subscribe to Kaiser HMO clinical services, despite maintaining a very finely gauged parity with actual care provider availability (supply vs. demand). At times, the provision of care available is not quite on par with member demands (which ebbs and flows, understandably).

On the plus side of the equation, Kaiser generally offers excellent surgical and specialist care. If you require surgery, Kaiser maintains very high-quality standards and Kaiser is nationally ranked as a '5-star' institution. The same is true for ancillary clinical services, such as pharmacy, laboratory, nuclear medicine, etc., all of which are very good. Kaiser knows from experience that active promotion of a strong 'preventive medicine' philosophy is beneficial in helping keep its subscribers healthy and costs down (thereby augmenting the financial bottom line), hence a very large and active emphasis on cultivating an effective preventive medicine awareness among its subscribers.

One needs to remember that the Kaiser Permanente HMO in all its vast permutations began during the Second World War, when Henry J. Kaiser began an employee health & welfare campaign to keep his workers (mainly in the shipyards...at that time a critical industry) healthy and happy. From there, his model of care-provision, balanced and modulated by careful financial management, proved to be an excellent example for later HMOs to emulate. It is one of the very oldest and most experienced HMOs operating in the United States of America today.

Bottom line? Choose Kaiser Permanente as your health insurance provider if you wish a very good overall standard of personal health care, but basically healthy individuals and the non-severely afflicted stand to gain the most benefit from a Kaiser subscription. The best way to fully benefit from a Kaiser subscription is to be as well-informed and cognizant with current medical issues and treatment modalities as you possibly can be. In other words, you are your own 'best healthcare advocate'. Kaiser provides a high standard of general care for the masses.

One last note: speaking from a purely personal experience, while in Oregon (I am a member of the Northern California Kaiser Group), I had cause to seek emergency medical care at a South Oregon Coast hospital facility (non-Kaiser), two years ago. 5 days of inpatient observation, plus all the ER and diagnostic costs were fully and completely covered by my 'Senior Advantage' membership, which is a remarkable testament to the overall quality of the Kaiser Permanente Group. Overall, I am personally well satisfied, as a 'medical person', with my membership.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

My husband chose the Kaiser PPO plan last year through his employer. All of us, my husband, myself, and our 2 year old had great doctors we were extremely happy with and my husband was led to believe that those doctors would still be covered. Long story short, they lied and we're now forced to get new doctors, which will be for the shortest possible span of time because this company is horrible. Don't believe anything they tell you, and don't sign up unless you want to be locked into only Kaiser providers even if you choose their supposed "PPO" plan. That includes pharmacies by the way. If I could have given zero or negative stars I would have.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I don't think that I made a very smart financial decision when I let Kaiser convince me that their Advantage Plus program was worthwhile. I kinda knew that I had made the wrong decision when I was told by Kaiser personnel that I should call Delta Dental for details about what my dental benefits were. Apparently, the benefits widely vary between each different company's dental package arranged with Delta Dental. When I called Delta Dental they acted like I was on crack and told me that they had NO idea what my benefits were.

A month or two later I went into Kaiser for a hearing consultation... This was a detailed evaluation of my hearing test performed by Kaiser Audiology. I had this test and consultation arranged because I felt like I really needed hearing aids. Oh my God!! I have to admit that the allowance afforded by Kaiser to their members is substantial ($1,000 per ear), BUT Kaiser leads you right down the garden path with the cost of their hearing aids which are astronomical! I found out that I would've come out better financially if I had not spent $1,068 per year on the Advantage Plus program and gone to an independent hearing aid dealer. The brands offered by independents were identical to what Kaiser offered but at a much reduced price than what Kaiser priced their hardware. All of the independents offered the free service clause, free replacement cost in case of loss, rechargeable batteries, and other ancillary items that Kaiser offers.

I suspect that the Vision Services, like the Hearing Services and Dental Services, all of which are included in my Advantage Plus addendum is not any better. I really believe that Kaiser tries to impress their members with the amount they are contributing to the overall cost of the products they sell but let me assure you that you will definitely come out ahead going elsewhere.

And, don't get me started on the medical care I have(n't) received from Kaiser doctors. A number of their specialists are real pieces of work...very arrogant and aloof to their patient's needs. I would hate to see the effects of having major surgery performed at Kaiser. At this point I do not trust anything that Kaiser offers (or says) and will most likely go with a different insurance supplement for my Medicare for the remaining years of my life.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I was supposed to have an ultrasound done on my carotid arteries at the Springfield, VA Kaiser radiology dept. last Thursday, 2/14, but got a call from them just as I was walking out the door and was told it was canceled due to machine failure. They rescheduled for Tue., 2/18, at the Falls Church location where my appointment was for 3:15 p.m. and I ended having to wait 2 HOURS before they did the procedure because one machine was down, one person was out sick, and they were running way behind. I didn't leave there until almost 6:30 p.m. I was told that due to the coming snow on Wed. 2/19 that I probably wouldn't get my results until Thurs. 2/20.

Well, it's now 5:39 p.m. on Thurs and I still have NOT received the results of my test!!! I emailed my PCP at noon today and haven't heard a thing from him or the Falls Church Radiology Dept. My dad died from his carotid arteries being blocked and I'm on pins and needles STILL waiting for the test results. I hope mine aren't clogged like my dad's were because I'll be dead before Kaiser ever contacts me with the results of the test!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I was having trouble breathing. I called to make appt at the urgent clinic. I was put on hold several times. My inhaler was not working. I needed help. They told me to come in at 7 pm. I told them it was an emergency. The stupid nurse asked me if I was feeling difficulty breathing. I said yes. She told me the next appt was at 7pm. It was 9am when I called. I paid out of pocket for urgent care not Kaiser. They did a nebulizer tx with steroids **. It made a big difference. I almost died. I hate Kaiser. I pay all these money every month. They are worthless when you need them.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Kaiser almost let me die. As an adult I developed severe eosinophilic asthma. I could not breathe, and I talked to my PCP about it. She said it was postnasal drip. After several frightening episodes, and an ER visit (where the ER doctor said I was definitely having an asthma attack), they still insisted that I see a Kaiser Pulmonologist. She had me blow into an ancient spirometer, and determined based on one test that it was all in my head, that I was having panic attacks or bad reflux. A few weeks later I go back to the ER, the doctor wanted to admit me because he was so worried about how sick I was. Kaiser refused to admit me and wanted me to be transported to their facility for “observation”.

The ER doctor fought them, and got the hospital Pulmonologist to talk to Kaiser. I heard him yelling at them saying he would NOT transport me, that I could die on the way, and that he was not going to have that on his conscience. That was the end of December 2016, and fortunately I had already switched to Cigna Open Access for 2017. My husband told the hospital to send the bill, and the ER docs told me they would help me appeal it. One year later, we won the appeal and Kaiser had to pay the hospital for my stay, plus interest. I now have great doctors who have done all the appropriate tests to confirm my diagnosis. It is more expensive, but thankfully I am alive and under the care of knowledgeable doctors who value my health. Please do not use Kaiser!!!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

What does mean ER? ER is a life threatening, But Doctors seem like careless to patient in the ER. They didn't monitor my little one as more often like other hospital did in ER. Drs. and nurses didn't have many experiences. Dr. didn't know the exact diagnosis; he just guessed and administered him a lot of medications to treat one problem. Dr. ordered too much lab tests at once time with a little kid.

Dr. did a procedure was not on time and was delayed to 2 hours and another procedure was delayed 1 hour more. I couldn't not believe in the ER room they delayed some procedure like these. He wasn't concern to the kid. Just added more anesthesia to make my little one to sleep during 2 procedures. Too much anesthesia because of they delayed. They didn't explained exact what's happen to my little one. Also why did they have short staffs in the ER? When they took their break (for dinner time) no one on the floor! When we called code they acted too slow to help. They're favor about their benefits; they didn't treat us like a family. Now I am looking for a new health insurance.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

This is honestly the most unprofessional company I have ever done business with. We have had them for two years due to them basically being the only option we have through healthcare.gov. Many of the medical professionals and the office personnel have been rude and disrespectful. They seem to care much more about your records than they do what’s actually wrong with you. They spend a great deal of time looking at your information and entering information and very little talking to you in an effort to find out what’s wrong. They appear to be in a rush to get you out.

In November I went in extremely sick with coughing and I could not breathe and they were going to send me home with no treatment and I refused and told them my chest felt like an elephant was sitting on it. So they sent back to the place I checked in at and the cardiologist found the pneumonia from a chest X-ray. I am still not well 90 days later and I just went back today for the third time and they can make up their mind if they want to do another chest X-ray or CT scan and sent me home and said they would call me later after my blood work came back, which they did when I originally went in back in November. They act like they have no idea what they are doing. I told the Dr today when she was debating what to do, "I’m not the Dr, you are. Please get me some help" but they sent me home with no treatment.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I have been trying to get the results of my son’s skull X-ray for almost 3 weeks. We have their select plan that allows us to use our own doctor and KP diagnostics and testing. Our pediatrician wrote the order for the X-ray (which by the way took KP 3 weeks to authorize from the time we started trying to make an appointment). But they won’t release the report/scan to her! We had to go back and get the images on a disk. In today’s age of information technology they can’t email images to the requesting doctor? Mind boggling!

We brought the disc home opened to try to save and email to his doctor. There’s no Radiology report! That is why we had to come back to KP because they said we had to wait for radiologist to read the X-ray. We had to send a 2nd authorization! 5 days after this we still can’t access the report. Called yesterday, Left msg, no return call. Called today, spoke to 3, yes 3 people, each saying they were not the correct person/area and they would transfer. Last person said she was sending me to supervisor of Medical records, when she was not.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

The only thing I can say positive about Kaiser Permanente is that they have valet parking at my location. That is it. Every time I go I pay at time of service and every time I am also later billed for the same amount that I have already paid. It takes several phone calls to try to get it resolved and just trying to call to get an appointment is a whole other nightmare. You call and are told that it will be a 45 minute wait that someone will call you back then when they call you back it’s a recording saying that all agents are busy. Please hold. Then for some reason that person is not the one who can really help you. You were put on hold and transferred over and over with not ever getting anyone who can answer your question or assist. This is truly an awful experience.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I became a patient of Kaiser Cumberland Pkwy/Town Pk. Kennesaw, GA. 3 yrs ago. I have severe blood pressure, diabetes and at the time mild CKD. I was referred to one of their Nephrologist. He did not work with me to lowering my blood pressure. Same experience with Cardiologist. For three weeks my b/p was 110/98,or as high as 213/110. 2 urgent care visits and one ER visits for b/p within 3 weeks time. I went from mild kidney disease to now stage 3 Ckd... Beware of Kaiser. I sure there are some good doctors within network. My experience with the doctors I was afforded, they seemed rushed and not at all thorough. By the way, my diabetes are controlled, and was controlled during these episodes of my blood pressure being high.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Kaiser Permanente is the worst health insurance I have ever dealt with. They sent me a letter that I do not qualify to be enrolled with them this year so I called covered California and enrolled with Sharp. When I contacted covered California they said not to make any payment to Kaiser or call them because I will have to call the new healthcare provider and I did so, just last week I receive a letter from Kaiser that my insurance policy is active and I have to pay them $700 for January and February 2019 payment. I called and explain to them that I have received multiple letter saying that I do not qualify to re-enroll with them because of whatever reasons that doesn’t make any sense to me and I moved ahead and enrolled with a different company.

To make the story short they have no idea of what’s going on and they said I always had insurance with them even though when I called them January 1, 2019 they said I don’t have a choice with them and there’s no balance due at all so out of nowhere they decided to activate my insurance plan and send me a statement to make the story short they have no idea of what’s going on and they said I always had insurance with them even though when I called them January 1, 2019 they said I don’t have a choice with them and there’s no balance due at all so out of nowhere they decided to activate my insurance plan and send me a statement.

Stay away from this Kaiser and save yourself the headache. Even when you try to make an appointment to see a doctor it is very hard and they give you an appointment weeks after your phone call and if you want to see a specialist that will never happen unless you have a really bad disease, they wait until your health is in danger to treat you & and I did have this horrible experience with them in 2007 when I had to do an emergency surgery Because the specialist believe I don’t have to get treated until it got really really bad. Worst health insurance company in US????

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

You would think that Psychiatry notes and psychotherapy notes would be confidential. Not at Kaiser. Psychotherapy with a therapist are indeed confidential. But whatever you tell a psychiatrist MD is not. All his notes are on your chart, so that every doctor, nurse, nurse's aid, or other assistants that see you can read those notes. One nurse asked me about something in the psychiatrist's chart - meaning to be nice. I was so shocked I could not reply. Nurses in other departments have also commented on my psychiatric meds.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I loaded a trailer full of firewood and tore muscles and tendons on my right side. PCP opened the door and told me I had tennis elbow, never spoke to him or saw him before. No exam, no nothing! I told him I didn’t have tennis elbow because the pain was on the other side of arm, he just changed the diagnosis to golfer's elbow. I had to follow him out in the hall to ask what to do about the severe pain that doesn’t allow me to walk or drive a car. "Well a tennis strap should take care of that," he says. I was referred by the telephone operator to a elbow surgeon that I knew wasn’t the right referral but I want someone to listen to me.

Thing was I was forced to have elbow X-rays or I wasn’t allowed to speak to him! It was worth it though because he told me to put my elbow on a pillow like I have been doing for three months. Saw another PCP and PT, everyone has a different opinion. No diagnosis, severe pain, no plan of action! By the way the first PCP I insists I have a second pneumonia within six months of the first. Kaiser needs to call every patient she had do that because now they need to get a new dose because you need to wait at least a year for the second dose! Kaiser needs to learn to at least do no harm!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I went in to have a procedure done to remove 6 CIN3 areas from my cervix in the gynecology office. I was not able to handle the pain and the Dr. was very annoyed with me. She proceeded to tell me that my appointment was a "waste" and that I would have to be put under anesthesia. I apologized and felt extremely embarrassed that I had "wasted" her time according to her. She then told me that the surgery appointment center would give me a call to schedule the procedure. It's been 4 weeks since then and no one has called me. I called the appointment center and the request was never put in by the Dr. I've left two messages for the gynecology department and was told they would get back to me in 24 hrs or less. It's been 4 days and no one has called me. Mind you that I was diagnosed with CIN3 11/01/18 and it is not 2/1/19 and nothing has been done about it.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Takes a month to see a specialist for your problem. I go to a same day appointment to get care right away and get scolded for seeing different doctors and that I should stick with one treating doctor. How can I get care from one treating doctor if an appointment is a month away and I need medication now? I’m looking at other health plans through my work. Take my advice if you will listen, choose a different network.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I am a Kaiser patient in the Atlanta Georgia region. I am also a retired Kaiser nursing supervisor/manager. I have received excellent care from a number of providers in the past 2 1/2 years for a variety of health problems. My primary care provider is the best I’ve ever had. My problem, that is continuing, is access to specialty care. At times it is very good but at times it is unacceptably long. Recently, I needed to see a specialist for a simple followup appointment. The soonest appointment was nearly two months away! On top of that I will then have to wait weeks to a month or more for the treatment I am hoping that doctor will order. Sadly, this experience is all too common. I get my care at Kaiser for very little money because of my retirement status. However, if I had to pay what most people do for a plan even nearly as complete as mine, I would be looking elsewhere for my health care.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

At 1am in the morning I had to take my son to ER for severe pain in his belly button area and fever and diarrhea so I took him to the closest ER. We get there and they hook up an IV, do CT scan and the doctor tells us he needs surgery within 12 hours for his appendix. It’s about 3am now and they give him pain meds and fluids. He can’t eat and then I’m told because we have Kaiser he has to be transported to an hour away hospital. Meanwhile my son is in extreme pain.

I told Kaiser I don’t care. Bill it. I have a Kaiser rep very rude trying to threaten me that it won’t be covered and trying to read me a denial statement. Meanwhile I’m still in shock all this is taking place. I’m still adamant I’m staying. Then a Kaiser doctor who knows nothing about my case comes in (while I’ve been told this hospital doesn’t use Kaiser but a Kaiser doctor is there??) tells me we need to go and he is being transported and that he could have hours to days before it ruptures. Other doctor already said within 12 hours mind you.

My son is running a fever. Has started antibiotics and now has to transfer. Then I’m told if we stay surgery would be mid day and if we go can be 10am. So we transfer him which they didn’t send ambulance until 7:30am. So we transfer an hour away get to hospital. Kaiser works with VHC. Get put in a tiny hot room. They do not give him fluids. I have to ask.

Fever peaks back up and we are told surgery not taking place until 11:30 so we wait then they say 2:30. Moves to 3:30 then we wait. No communication so I walk to nurse station. They can’t tell me anything then I go off. My husband calls Kaiser then we get moved to a better room and surgery takes place at about 5:30. My son is so hungry and parched from nothing to drink or food since Friday dinner. We were told by anesthesiologist it ruptured. Doctor says it didn’t. After surgery my son still had high fever. He’s doing much better now but I’m looking for new insurance.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

My son has Cerebral Palsy, developmentally disabled, grand mal seizures, high blood pressure, blind and speaking difficulties. He came up with his own sign language to communicate. The doctor increases his HBP medication, my son, 27 year old acted like he was dizzy. PCP sent letter, no examination and reduced the medication. I inquired why, he said "It is not needed". He calls a couple weeks later and tells me his high blood pressure is not a problem. Then, "When it reaches 180/100 we'll think about treating it. Now, when he has a stroke what do you want us to do? Everything possible or just let him die"? I believe the Hippocratic oath required doctors to "not" play God and to treat people.

Now myself, in chronic pain for more than thirty years. Now groin and testical pain also. CT scan, blood test, blood test, and another blood test with an X-ray because CT scans are always unclear. I have been getting CT scans due to an injury since 1974, they were very clear then and are better now. Retired by disability, out $1,000, and the PCP says, "Stay at home and never leave unless you come to the doctor." No word from PCP in three months.

Kaiser Permanente expert review by Joseph Burns

Kaiser Permanente is a unique health care management program that is located mainly in the western United States. In California, Colorado and seven other states, patients who have Kaiser coverage get health care services, including hospital stays, at Kaiser health facilities.

• Offers low-cost health plans: Kaiser offers several different levels of service with varying premiums, deductibles and co-pays.

• Kaiser offers all services itself: This company provides health care services as well as health care coverage, making it easier to get needed services and file claims.

• Online application process: It’s easy to get a quote and sign up for Kaiser.

• Best for: Students, employees, heads of families

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Kaiser Permanente Insurance Company Information