1.45/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

951 Kaiser Permanente Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I added my son to my policy after I initially applied. I spent an hour on the phone giving information. At the end, I was told he would be covered and was given a confirmation number. Fast forward - they have no record of adding him... And have spent the last 52 minutes on hold being moved around. This coverage stinks.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I injured my foot in a fall from a ladder in December, 2016. I went to Kaiser Urgent Care 5 times between then and May of 2017, had several X-Rays, and was finally told I had flat feet and needed arch supports. I had continuing pain and went back in September, when I finally got a doctor who knew what he was doing. He found that I had ripped off the entire band on ligaments across the bottom of my foot and pulled off a 3" long piece of bone, which was clearly visible in the earlier X-Rays that had been taken. He also said that the ligaments had started making their own attachments, so nothing could be done except to put me in a post-surgical boot for a month. Also, the toe (the one that now has a big growth on the top of the joint) apparently had been broken and left to heal on its own.

Fast forward. I started having more significant pain in my left ankle, and went back to Kaiser Urgent Care in December 2018. Two more X-Rays (which no one has bothered to read yet), and a referral for a CT scan and a visit with the doctor I had seen in September of 2017. I just canceled the appointments. I'm not going to waste my time, only to be told to shut up and suffer once again. My foot will either get better or it will completely fail. If it's the latter, Kaiser should have no problem identifying the issue, and hopefully it will be something that will cost them a whole lot more than the proper care earlier would have.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I have been going to Kaiser for over 2 year and getting an injection every quarter. They change the billing to whatever they want and they give you no explanation as to why they charge it. My injection price jumps from 800 to over 5000 within 3 months. Called and asked for explanation and no one can answer and they send your bill asking you to pay it because you are responsible for this bill. I get an injection ONLY and no other tests. But on the statements there are charges for other tests which again give you no explanation as to why I'm being changed except for, "You must pay it." Kaiser Permanente is the worst to be with.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I went to my GP with the hope to finally get a diagnosis for a range of symptoms that have plagued me my whole life. Was referred to rheumatologist. Rheumatologist said he suspected Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. Referred to a geneticist (Kaiser's version of one, at least). Genetecist gave me a score on the diagnosis criteria and said "you meet criteria for EDS but I'm not giving you a diagnosis" and also lied blatantly to my face and said there is no genetic testing.

There is testing for all types of EDS except for hypermobile EDS. She refused to look at even Google to prove me right. Told me to exercise more. I have severe fatigue and get exhausted from the smallest things. I can't go to the gym for an hour a day. Thankfully left Kaiser for my husband's insurance through the local university hospital, and am on the path to a diagnosis and actual treatment for my symptoms. When I have my diagnosis I will be pursuing Kaiser for malpractice and suffering.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Was referred to Michael ** for my TMJ. Gave me botox for muscle pain in face but also gave me steroid injections in the joints and told me to wear night guard night and day, however it caused more pain in my joint. Was told shots are beneficial to me, was not happy with him so we complained to Kaiser who referred me to the dept head Dr. ** who is a dentist.

He looked at my MRI and was my disk were pushed out from grinding my teeth for so long and night guards do not stop you from grinding your teeth. Said wearing a anterior reposition splint but would help with pain and heal the joint but I had to go to an outside dentist. Guess what? I tried to get but none of the dentist wanted to make it. I was told they are supposed to be temporary and people have complained of pain. You also have to have it adjusted. $$$. One thing ** did do that ** did not was warn me about the steroid shots and now I believe the condyle is gone and when I emailed him about it I was ignored.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaiser Permanente?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I have a dislocated jaw. Doctors and medical assistants don't know who handles this. After many calls, a referral to a specialist outside of Kaiser was approved. It was never sent because Kaiser staff failed to find the fax number. No notification to me that it was ever sent and after 3 weeks and 7 calls to the hospital and Kaiser Member Services, I find this out. The wait to get through the first Kaiser message on a phone call is 2.04 minutes. The wait to actually talk with a person takes between 8 minutes and 4 hours. Kaiser says they have phone problems.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I tried to reach this company on the phone many times, no success. Eventually, found a correct phone number after many times called, the lady could not answer my questions and hanged up on me. I just started Kaeser Permanente Health Insurance Company last month, tried to ask some questions since I am new, employees are not familiar what they are handling. If they do not know the answer, they just simply hanged up on me couple of times. Really frustrating, and interesting too. I do not trust them. I asked email confirmation after my payment, she said she cannot send email. It is not allowed. I thought that we use email confirmation lot lately. They give different information about what you asked for. Do not trust them.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I have been a member of Kaiser since November 1. I have yet to be able to access any services. I was told my prescription could be renewed temporarily by their plan presenter and their published literature only to find out because my prescription was from a military base in Okinawa it would not be honored. I tried to get online to choose a doctor and mysteriously I was locked out which requires a verification code that can only be mailed to you. The code came and I still cannot get on. It seems odd especially if you consider I complained about the unsophisticated system and the fact they had mined so much private data as to be obnoxious (you have to remember every real estate transaction you ever made for example). Then I was assigned to a doctor who does not exist at the clinic, then asked to choose another over the telephone and when I made a choice

I was told that doctor was not available and another doctor could see me in two weeks. Add to that all the documentation they required after signing up and paying money to prove part D eligibility and they even lost my husband's paperwork (or as one rep told us, put all the paperwork under my membership and we have different last names). Yet these same people can find that in 1998 you failed to have some test a second-rate doctor prescribed (I had actually gone for a second opinion which I followed) and they tell you you can remove that information and then tell you that you cannot remove it from your record. These are just a few of the examples of total lack of care I have received. DO NOT sign up for Medicare Advantage with Kaiser. They do not deserve anyone's money. They think because we are old we will not notice the shabby treatment. I suggest seniors unite and choose other plans.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

This review is straight and to the point. My CPAP supplies were free until July 2018 when Kaiser sent me a bill. Bill - Mask $135. Hose $25. Filters $8. Covered - Mask $27 Hose $5. Filters $1.60. CPAP Supplies online at cpapsupplyusa... Mask $99. Hose, Filters and Wipes $21.95.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

After misdiagnosed by my Kaiser primary MD with a heart issue (he thought). I was referred to a cardio MD, who terrorized me with her ignorance. Told me I had CHF AND WAS SUBJECT to sudden death (later proven false) and put ME thru an ablation procedure at LAMC, which even though aborted cost Medicare $58,000.00. I was then put on **, and even though told by pharmacist I had no business taking this drug, the ARROGANT/IGNORANT cardio MD insisted "Who are you going to listen to, the pharmacist or your MD?" she said. Stayed on it till on stumbling feet. Was rushed to LAMC Urgent Care Unit with ATAXIA. Their drug was stopped but too late. Ended up crippled FOR LIFE, lost thyroid to be on hormone therapy for life, peripheral NERVE damage void of use of hands to write/button shirt, feet to drive steady gait, tremors etc. Both of my MDs were totally IGNORANT of drug prescribed.

Such a crime would be punishable by jail time if done by NON-MDs. Instead Kaiser unabated is now collecting from Victim & Medicare for injuries therapy costs for damage to victim by its own MDs. My complain to CMS send me back to my HMO. "A fox is asked to guard the hens." Where does one go without the $ for a good lawyer. BE AWARE OF MEDICAL INCOMPETENCE.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Call hold time generally in excess of 2 hours. Waiting on hold is useless, since the Kaiser phone representative typically cannot solve the billing problem. Website is not useful in solving billing problems. Prices have skyrocketed out of control. Difficult to tell how much of the problems at Kaiser are caused by fraud verses. Pure incompetence.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

KP hires the lowest quality (cheapest) staff they can find and it shows. Doctors who don't seem to know what they're talking about, and don't LISTEN to what a patient is telling them - and this has been every doctor I've seen with them. Nurses who treat patients like inmates in a prison rather than people who are paying for health care. Robotic calls that nag you to report for screening tests even after you've had them. People on the "help" line - once you get through a lengthy automated system to reach them - who couldn't care less about your problem and don't "help" at all.

I was told by a nurse that I was rude and needed to "lose the attitude" when I declined to answer a very personal, irrelevant, and inappropriate question during a sick visit. I am an older person, there for an ear infection, and was asked if I'm sexually active. The nurse told me I MUST answer the question, and bullied me over it even though I was clearly in pain and not feeling well and it had nothing whatsoever to do with why I was there. That was the last straw, and I'm DONE with KP. The worst excuse for "health care" I've ever had.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I went for blood 7 times to figure what I had. I ate something funny overseas and then one day I got really sick. Now to this very day they don't know what's wrong with me. I'm at wits what to do. Thank god I decided to go traditional Chinese medicine route. At least I get some relief from my symptoms. I no longer trust Kaiser. I'll go in for ** and giggles. Get a good doctor at Kaiser is like Russian roulette.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Do NOT believe the fraudulent commercial of 5 stars on tv. Promise to provide specialty plan for disabled & homebound, do not. Filed bad faith health insurance practices with US Dept of Inspector General, Ref# **, which also included United Healthcare, Physician Housecalls & Aetna for the same fraud. Currently, the Office of Attorney General-Pennsylvania, Public Protection Division-Health Care Section FILE NO: ** is starting an investigation. I have a long road ahead as the 3 insurance companies above + the assigned providers for each will each get their own complaint. I have been refused 15 meds, including ones that control my daily seizures, and any treatment of any kind. The only care I got was when I fell & sprained/broke my ankle, called 911 & went to the hospital. Kaiser even refused to send their in-house ambulance service.

For the record, Medicare.gov/fraud does NOT do anything to the insurance companies, so don't waste your time as I did. Why am I being deducted $135 a month for Medicare? The only attorney I found in the nation who would take on Kaiser Permanente is in California (Google lawsuits against KP, see $28 million suit). He courteously referred me to a local one in Colorado, but that attorney stated, "Yeah yeah, you want to save the world! Get on with your life, forget about KP & start taking care of yourself!" When I locate this attorney's name in my email, I will attempt to add it later. He's in Boulder, Co, supposedly a bad faith insurance lawyer. These details are only a "subtitle" to everything I've dealt with. Hope it helps someone! No matter where you are, I would use the Pennsylvania Attorney General department I mentioned above. The Denver District Attorney's Office said they don't handle it.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Kaiser employees constantly violate HIPAA Privacy Act. I've had it done to me too many times, & have had them call me & leave other individuals health info. They push pills, & they misdiagnose all the time. When you become healthy you consider throwing back the prescriptions that your provider overprescribes that are hurting us all - you become more happy, not believing in your provider & they will become angry, which isn't about you at all! The employees cause too much drama & more trauma than it's worth! They even have manipulated Police in order to defend their false fantasy bond with our society at large, in order to falsely cause harm to the ones that understand their BS! They are unprofessional. I left. Kaiser will need better object to survive - They have a long way to go.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I had moved to a new area and was out of network for PacificSource. I chose Kaiser Permanente because I thought how could I go wrong with them. Well, on my first visit they yanked my meds and one is an anticonvulsant which you can't just stop! The appointed GP then ordered a drug test on me and just slipped it in because they took my blood for my thyroid test. I received a bill for $178.00 for the drug test. When I called asking about it, his nurse told me he was very happy with the result. I am a very healthy looking 62 year old who doesn't drink, smoke, or take drugs. I was very annoyed. My second experience was I had kidney stones and had to go to an ER hospital that wasn't a Kaiser hospital. I lived in a very large city with Kaiser clinics everywhere but if you have an emergency you can't see anyone. You are told to go to a Hospital.

My share of the bill was $1300.00. I was there at the hospital for 5 hours vomiting the whole time. I assume if you are insured by Kaiser you are beneath other patients. I then went to the gynecologist and told her about the GP taking my meds away and she wrote me the prescriptions for the whole year. She was a new nurse practitioner and was very kind. I believe the doctors are told to take away everything possible to save the money because Kaiser is an insurance company. To top it off I had a mammogram done and was told to come back in three years instead of one year. When I asked I was told the screening laws had changed. That was the last straw. I knew better. Kaiser causes early death for their patients.

Also, You are not allowed to talk to a doctor and everything is an 800 number. Towards the end of the year I wouldn't even bother making an appointment. What for? They wouldn't have done a thing except lie and try to get away with not treating me. I just surrendered to the fact I had no health care. I am sure lots of patients do the same thing. You just continue to pay the premiums and wait it out. Fortunately, I moved and was able to go back to my real doctor and she couldn't believe that Kaiser didn't want to do another mammogram for three years. Do yourself a favor and never make the mistake I had by choosing Kaiser. I was really pretty scared thinking about what would happen if something went wrong with my health. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

So I had Kaiser, moved a county over, had to re apply, did got a letter saying I'm covered Dec and 2019. Pre-op on Monday and guess what. No longer covered. They treat medicare advantage customers horribly. Day of surgery after a long day of I was pushed in a filthy room and left. Medicare patients are treated like dirt. While others are put in clean maintained rooms with nurses. And just who is going to take staples out and check surgery site?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

So beyond livid and disappointed. I for the most part have had positive experiences with Kaiser, except for perhaps a few cases of being misdiagnosed/ diagnosing something much later than normal with conditions that should have been easy to spot or figure out - however that is irrelevant as my main complaint is with the actual billing department. I had a CT scan, surgery, and some appointments all scheduled from last spring to this past fall. Before my surgery I had called to set up a payment plan, somehow managed to pay the CT scan fees in all its entirety on time, and then had my surgery and follow ups - and was left with a hefty hospital bill and professional bill afterwards, which I was happy to pay although was not aware of the professional part of the bill until a little later.

I started getting letters saying I was owing money, so I called again and was told I was set for a payment plan on both bills. At that time I had been paying both parts online for what I owed each month as arranged and confirmed to me by phone. Before I knew it I got yet another letter saying my "unpaid bills" were being sent to collections, and that I owed collections $150-some dollars on top of the whopping bills I already had - though it was confirmed to me on at least 3 separate (if not more) occasions that I had a payment plan set up for both hospital and professional bill, I called yet again and this time was told that I in fact did not and that I was indeed in debt.

Now I submitted a grievance but was told that even though this was not my error, I would not be getting a refund for the sudden amount I had paid to collections (as was advised to me on that last phone call) to ensure they wouldn't come after me with any other fees. Thank you Kaiser, for stealing from a patient who has been a Kaiser member most of their life, and already has a hard enough time coming up with the money to pay rent. I won't make the mistake of trusting this corporation ever again.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have Kaiser for a year. I only saw my assigned Dr. once after that I couldn't make appt because everything was book. I have to go way out to see a Dr. I'm going back to Health Net. Personally never have a problem with them. Kaiser can go to hell.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I called Kaiser to see if the urgent care near us was open because that is my mother’s insurance and she is very ill. The terrible woman on the line could not answer if the urgent care was open unless I gave her my mother’s information. After that she said she had to talk to her because she needed to make an appointment to go to urgent care. I got her on the phone and I was translating and explaining things to her. This representative then says she needs to get a translator on the phone for privacy issues (though she could’ve easily asked my mother if she consented I translate...she does understand English it’s just hard to speak). We wait for the translator. This translator could use Spanish classes because he was even getting numbers wrong.

After being HORRIBLY treated by the woman on the phone and having to schedule her urgent care appointment for 1.5hrs later, I asked to speak to her supervisor. She ignored me. I asked her name. She ignored me. I asked again. Ignored. I asked the translator for her name. He ignored me too. They hung up the phone while we were still there. Terrible!!! For someone ill!!! I can’t believe them. I called to file a complaint and they’re making me jump through hoops saying they have to mail a form for me to fill. In short, run from this hell. It’s not worth it.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

To start with, I have had both good and bad experiences with Kaiser. Over the 5 years I've been on Kaiser, I've been on 3 different plans. Two very different employee plans, and now Medicare for over a year. I've had both good and bad doctors. Good and bad PAs and nurses. The things I like best about Kaiser are: 1. Easy - I live maybe 5 minutes from the facility that has urgent care, my primary doctor, and my eye doctor. The website, when it's working, is great for downloading most lab tests. And, most of my doctors are quick to respond to email. 2. I love my primary care doctor, and most of my specialists, but it took 4 of my 5 years with Kaiser to finally get doctors I think know what they are doing. 3. The formulary for drugs covers 2 of my 3 regular meds at affordable pricing.

The things I've struggled with at Kaiser: 1. Lack of choice of hospitals and urgent care. The one hospital they approve on my side of town has a bad reputation, and I've known two people who either almost died there or got a staph infection, within a short time of each other last year. If I travel outside my immediate home area, north or south of Denver, the choices are thin to none. There is no urgent care in Boulder County, for example. 2. If I travel outside the Front Range of Colorado or out of state, I am only covered in an emergency, and only if they consider it so.

3. I have occasionally had issues with care. One example was with a chronically bloody nose. I was treated by a PA who was a one trick pony. She only wanted to cauterize. That didn't work, in fact, made it worse, but that's all she had in her knowledge base, and she refused to let me see a doctor. When I broke my hand in a car accident, it was handled quickly and well. However, when, the same year, I broke my ankle, I had to fight tooth and nail and wait for long periods to actually see a doctor. Both of these were in the downtown Denver facility.

4. When I was working, there was practically a staff uprising about Kaiser to the point where our CEO convened a meeting for Kaiser to hear the staff complaints. The people they sent knew nothing. They were completely useless and had no solutions. They finally set us up with a special "hotline," but it only worked to solve issues rarely. 5. They have no doctors that have any kind of holistic learning. They are by the book, and sometimes not even that. My current doctor is great because he listens and is fine with the alternative treatments that I get in addition to their care. He's the first one I've gone to there who is like this. He also wants to be sure I am clear on what is being treated and how before I leave. And, since several of my doctors have either retired or quit, I don't trust that I'd find another if he leaves.

I know this is a long review, and mixed. I also know that treatment outside Kaiser can also be spotty or bad. I just want the ability to have more choice. I guess I'll put up with more inconvenience and lack of unity of care when I go elsewhere next year. I keep my own health records anyway, so I should be fine. Especially since 90% of the time, Kaiser people don't even check history other than drug allergies. Their computer system must be difficult to navigate, because I don't think the problem in that case is the doctors.

I think they want to know, but it's easier to ask the patient than to wade through their system. I've asked them to look for specific records, and they can't find them, though I know they're in there... Whatever insurance/plan you choose, you need to weigh your options. With Kaiser as with other companies, be prepared to have to advocate for yourself and if you don't like the answers you get, contest them. These days, you have to be persistent to get what you need in healthcare. Sad, but true.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I had San Francisco Kaiser 40+ years ago and had always been healthy. After giving a normal birth in the early 1980s, I dropped Kaiser due to very poor service and aging inadequate facility. They brought me the wrong baby to breastfeed! I've returned to Kaiser for over 5 years now, after a good experience working with a wonderful Kaiser doctor for my in-law.

Kaiser has gone thru a major overhaul, new buildings (beautiful Mission Bay campus but on the other side of city for me)/remodel, procedural changes (I'm sure partly gov't mandated) and also invested heavily in their IT systems. Hopefully they've eliminated the horrible doctors who refused to care for patients and didn't address their complaints (or at least try to). Staff are attentive to patients and no longer ignoring patients, especially at the front desks. Two thumbs up on their online patient portal.

For myself, I found the right, caring doctor(s). I've used their 24x7 Advice Nurse line and found them to be caring and responsive. Even short notice appoints with my non-attending physician (Geary Blvd OP), hit the DX right on the nose, verified with RX-ray same FRI afternoon, and waited for me afterwards to see the results after 6 pm, so she could order the prescription and not wait over the weekend. Now that is service! Another short notice appointment with an optical specialist after I idiotically poked my eye bending over an orchid plant late night, was also efficient. Not much bedside manners, but I was so concerned as the eye was bleeding initially. The graveyard adviser nurse even consulted a doctor and tried to get me a followup morning visit rather than ER visit, as good to ensure I did not damage my vision.

The option for video appointments with my primary doctor is great and they finally fixed the sporadic bug in their pharmacy refill system. I had retired from IT in a county hospital so I feel I have a basis for comparison. I am very very happy with SF Kaiser (Northern California). I had been dual-insured with HealthNet for many years and it was also good, depending on the doctor you get, but like the one stop Kaiser health service as I normally research the background of the specialists anyways. I also appreciate reading the issues other patients on this website. It's always good to hear both sides and to be aware, which is why I am writing this. Finding the right doctor to fit you and your personality/demeanor is key. Also remembering medical staff are not perfect.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I contracted contact dermatitis from an unknown source recently. Because it was limited to isolated small areas I used calamine lotion and took ** according to the dosing schedule. I apparently underestimated the persistence of the exposure and it spread and quickly became problematic. I went to the “urgent” care and was really put off by the attitude of every employee I encountered. The PA seemed to be bored with my description of symptoms, and advised me to change laundry detergents, and prescribed anti-itch meds and ointment for use up four times a day, with follow up in two weeks. I followed the directions and realized the ointment would not last through the day! Since the pharmacy was closed I used the directions I found online and took oatmeal baths and Vaseline to cover the affected areas.

After a horrible night, I called the pharmacy and was informed I couldn’t refill the ointment because not enough time had passed since the original prescription. At eight AM I contacted the my doctor's office and was told, "We might be able to return your call, sometime this afternoon." I am still waiting for the call. My symptoms have not abated, I have no means to seek treatment elsewhere. I am astounded by the lack of empathy, the poor treatment plan and unprofessional attitude of the staff and physicians at Kaiser Permanente, I urge anyone reading this review to carefully consider another health care provider before settling on this rude, robotic and uncaring conglomerate.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Thereʻs nice staff but Many are extremely sarcastic, rude, condescending, sassy, passive-aggressive, & apathetic/robotic. I even seen it with a few children and elders & they usually seem to be very unhappy, or angry to be working. At one point a staff member gave a semi-threatening tone to me to dare file a complaint against her after I asked for her name. I understand the frustration of having a bad day or dealing with rude people for years but when it comes to patients I have more sympathy because of the pain or medical problems they are going through.

My family and myself always wait for a while but with many physicians we are treated in a very short time, for example 15 mins after waiting for over an hour or 2. Being a member for 10 years I know that Kaiser use to be good and efficient before but over the years the quality and the staff/nurses are changing and some staff donʻt seem to be well trained enough so we will be changing insurances soon.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I'm switching away from Kaiser for a few reasons - I have high expectations: 1. my doctor wasn't up for discussing the scientific literature for my chronic illness. 2. doctor told me to keep taking a drug that made me sick. 3. closed network, so can't go find the best specialist in the world. 4. medical records are all in PDF and I want machine-readable. 5. Kaiser delayed my seeing a specialist for a month; luckily, my situation wasn't in the most dire but it still sucked.

Overall, Kaiser could improve their IT systems but their people seemed to care and I did seem to get a decent and affordable medical workup. I'll be switching to United Healthcare and hopefully that doesn't suck as much as everyone says it does... Reason of review: Bad quality. Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution. I liked: Price. I didn't like: Website, Lack of specialist options.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

My co-pay should be $55 which I paid before ultrasound. Later on I received a bill of $1100, the original cost was $2600, from which insurance paid $1500. The ultrasound was not even made by a doctor, but by a radiologist who only knew how to make bunch of pictures without being able interpreted them. I don't understand why in USA we have such enormous prices for such services. In Costa Rica this exact procedure is done by a real doctor who knows what he is doing without very long waiting time (I waited almost an hour) for $25-$35. These $1100 would nicely cover all my expenses for a ticket of a whole 1 month stay at Airbnb private house by a beach in a tropical forest including delicious organic fruits and veggies (self cooked at my private villa). I really want to stay away from all this insurances now.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I have come to dread making appointments to see Kaiser doctors. The nurses are always robotic; they don't make much eye contact and just type away the responses to their questions. My doctors haven't been much better. They ask for a very brief description of my history with my medical concern before prescribing medication and launching into surface level quick-fixes (that aren't fixes) and they always push hormonal birth control-- even when I have told them it's been pushed on me and I'm not interested. One young doctor who couldn't seem to monitor her facial/body responses was sarcastic, condescending and rude, as I tried to describe my years with unresolved, unaddressed, undiagnosed pelvic pain.

When I asked her to step out so I could get dressed (because I was irritated and didn't want to be half-naked and vulnerable while continuing that conversation), she refused to see me and complete our visit. When I asked to see a supervisor, the nurse insisted on standing there like a bodyguard, arms crossed and fuming, while I explained my frustration to the supervisor (who was nice but could do nothing beyond kindly apologize and refund me my Co-pay... Which later became an issue with billing but that's another story).

I had to go back and see a different doctor. A very nice nurse called me in response to a complaint I left regarding that visit and she made me a new appointment. The next doctor was slightly better but still a bit of a power-trip and not very warm, did most of the talking (encouraged birth control). When I asked for hormone testing she approved it but made it known that she is the one with the authority to order testing.

Still don't have answers, still dread walking into Kaiser. Member Services reps and Billing reps have been nice and willing to give me their time and try to answer my questions. My only frustration with these services is that I get conflicting answers. I asked basic questions like how my benefits cover pregnancy and labor/delivery costs and I get mixed answers. I was on the phone with them the other day for over an hour to get an estimate for an endometriosis treatment and she couldn't find the answer to how much I should expect to pay out-of-pocket. Very frustrating.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Kaiser Permanente has the worst customer service, doctors don't listen to their patients and their website is useless!!! I came in to see my general doctor and ask her to give me a referral to a dermatologist about these spots on my back, she told me it is not needed because it was only a rash and all I need to put on it is calamine lotion. I told her it was not that because I had this when I was younger but she still didn't give me the referral. Very awful experience.

Second, I had upgraded my plan and put in my card for automatic payment due to travel reason and can't get to mail sometime. There was a hiccup when they tried to charge the card (even though I had money in the bank) so instead of trying to charge the card again, they put a hold on the card and sent me "one" letter to my residence. After a couple of months, I check the website and I accumulated over a thousand dollars in monthly payment. I checked the website on what happen to my automatic payment and it said that my card was "active".

And here is the third strike, I called their call center and talked to them about my situation, they told me about my card being on hold and they sent "one" letter around February. I told them, I travel and I didn't look at letter because I thought it might be a bill for $0. I asked them why they didn't contact me through phone, email, or even through their website which has an inbox. I asked for a supervisor, not around so I told the operator to have him/her to call me or email me. No response. A week later they sent me an "email" (which I responded right away and this wouldn't have happen if they made the effort to use all means of communication with me) to say they had cancel my membership due to non-payment. I could go on about what was the outcome which resulted in still being bad. So once open enrollment comes, I will be going to their competitors.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

What's happened to me at Kaiser, letter to my doctor... "I don’t really appreciate your subtle condescending slightly sarcastic attitude when you write me in emails. Doesn’t matter how many tests I have had done. If you were doing your job correctly and thoroughly I would not have to request tests done myself that should come from you being that you are my primary physician who is responsible for my health. It’s good I had the tests done as they showed some problems that were not known about before, but in reality I guess it really doesn’t matter what they found in the tests. Nothing seems to get addressed.

"Since my health is your direct responsibility, what have you done if anything to address my many health issues? Let’s go down the list. Have you done anything for my heart? No! Have you done anything for my liver or pancreas? No! Have you done anything for my edema that has been increasing which I told you and
other doctors about before? No! And since my edema has not been monitored and addressed properly for many years now the skin on my feet is compromised

and now has a skin condition that bleeds sometimes which might get infected causing me to maybe lose my feet possibly.

"Have you done anything for the painful varicocele vein in testicle area which probably needed surgery? Just take pain pills for that which did nothing. Anything done for chronic vein insufficiency and circulation? No! Anything done for chronic constipation that is worse now than ever? Just take Benefiber and drink water! Anything for the painful bulge in left side abdomen? No! Conflicting reports on this bulge, one doctor says it’s my colon, one says the bulge is in my abdomen, and you one time said it’s a hernia and the ER doctor said it is due to infected diverticulitis. Either way not much is done about this except guesses that it may be this or that. Just take some antibiotics for 10 days which did nothing at all.

"I had many primary physicians since 2007, only maybe 2 of them were any good that seemed to care about me. Their names were Dr ** and Dr **. Both ended up leaving Kaiser and quite frankly I cannot blame them at all. I am actually sorry that I stayed with Kaiser for my healthcare but for like 7 years I was busy taking care of my parents who eventually died from Alzheimer’s. I should have switched to Blue Shield or Blue Cross. I probably would not be in the shape I am right now. But It is too late for me now to switch as the damage has already been done.

"You made a comment before that it seems I don’t have much faith in the Kaiser system. That is a correct statement from you. How can anyone have faith in a

healthcare systems that does little to help you or neglects a person’s health issues and ends up making the person feel sicker because certain health issues just keep getting ignored or just swept under the table? To be honest, it’s at the point now that I am thinking, “Well what’s the use to go to Kaiser at all.” They don’t do much of anything and I will just come back home feeling bad and no improvement. The 2 things that are bothering me the most are my feet and my abdomen and this bulge and the fact that I can hardly digest food and take normal bowel movements. To me these things are serious. I can hardly sleep due to the discomfort of this bulge and not sleeping is also bad for my health.

"It does not matter if I keep you as my doctor or get another new doctor. I don’t think that any doctor at Kaiser will help me or my issues. As you said before many things are old age related and that’s seems to me an excuse not to do hardly anything to help the patient when they get past a certain age. It does not matter if a patient is 20 years old or 80 years old, it’s the doctor's job to help them with health problems after all that’s why we pay you. Did you take the Hippocratic Oath when you first became a doctor because it seems that today many do not follow that oath are more concerned with money and making money from pharmaceutical stocks than the patient's well being and showing them heartfelt compassion. You said yourself to me, "Why would I tell someone to take herbal medicines. There is no profit in that!" I can say this because of the way I have been treated by some Kaiser doctors and Kaiser nurses.

"People that come to Kaiser are sick and looking for help. They should never have to experience non-caring, rude or condescending attitudes. And I have

experienced all of this before a few times now. But I have come to a point now in my life that I will not accept bad treatment or abuse from anyone especially not from my healthcare providers who are supposed to take care of me and improve my health and treat me with compassion. Anymore I report any doctor or nurse that tries to do that to me. So you can quit as my doctor or not. Or I can find another doctor but like I said before I do not think anyone is going to help me and my health will just keep declining as it is right now. As a patient I have the right to be treated fairly with compassion and I also have the right to voice my opinion which I just did like it or not.

"The times that I went to the ER or the walk-in clinic was either on the weekends or late at night when I had those problems. And many times I tried to make appointments to see you but they told me that you were out of the office and that happened to me often. You are all getting paid from what you charge the patients yearly and with co-pays. Why are patients not receiving the care they deserve from Kaiser? Giving someone a band-aids, ointments and a bunch of pills is not correcting their health issues! The reason my health is declining is because I have been neglected many times by various doctors and this is shameful at best! Oh and I can also add that on my health record there are things on there that are not correct like the dates and such.

"For instance they have the wrong date for my edema. They have 2017 listed, they were made aware of my edema back in 2007 but someone has the wrong

date. Low back pain has been since 2007 not 2016. Testicular pain has been since 2016. Low potassium levels has been since at least 2010. Nonsmoker since 2002 and I told them this in 2007 not 2010. So whoever put the dates in on my records needs to correct what is wrong! And who is the one that has to pay the price for this neglected treatment I have been receiving? The answer to that question is me! Day after day month and month sitting at home in pain and discomfort wondering what’s going to happen next or how long can I last in this condition. The quality of my health is not good and it’s not my fault!

"I will not apologize for this letter at all. I have a right to express my feelings concerning my health and what has happened to me or not happened for me at Kaiser! Kaiser's motto is "Live well and thrive". I really think Kaiser should change that motto as it is not true! Most of my poor treatment all has happened at Kaiser Panorama City in the ER and with different specialty doctors and primary physicians and ER nurses. It’s very odd, the last time just recently I decided to go out to Woodland Hills ER and all the nurses and the doctor treated me with great respect and compassion. Panorama City could stand to take some bedside manners lessons from Woodland Hills. They could learn a lot!!!

"Shame on Kaiser and Kaiser doctors who year after year take money from patients and do little or nothing for the patient's health issues putting them through hell, risking their lives while in the meantime people are suffering daily in pain and discomfort. It use to be that employees earned their pay by doing a good job, taking care of business the way they are supposed to be doing but to be very honest I don’t see this being done much at Kaiser Panorama City. I am a prime example of that. Because I stayed at Kaiser all these years now my health has declined so much that I doubt it's going to come back and the quality of my life is at its lowest point now ever in my life. It is shameful at best.

"I paid you people all year after year to take care of me but am sorry to tell you that this did not happen. The way I feel now is the direct result of lack of compassion and caring. I am not saying that all Kaiser locations are bad but my experience with Kaiser Panorama City many times has not been the best at all for years now."

Now it has been about 2 or 3 weeks since I sent my doctor this letter and also forwarded a copy to Membership Services. Membership services called me back, left a message they were looking into it. Then I got no response at all from my doctor after 2 weeks. Some nurse in his office sends me an email saying, "We are assigning you another doctor. Name's Dr **." I don’t even know this guy or request this. If I want another doctor I can choose one on my own. And not even an apology from my doctor at all (now ex doctor). See what I mean about the way Kaiser treats its patients? And I been loyal to Kaiser since 2007 and this is how they treat me. This is shameful at best!!! I hope my story helps someone make a decision. Thanks.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

The worst of all health care insurance I had. I was rushed to the ER in Nevada for emergency care. I was vomiting, having nausea, headache, stiff neck. The bill was around $21,000 but Kaiser only paid $14,000. I work with the government and I know I am covered in full. Until now Kaiser has not paid the bill. I am put in a collection agency now. Last September, I spoke with Kaiser Case Manager based in Oakland (name is Britney) and she told me Kaiser will pay them. I just need to send her all the bills, etc. I did faxed the billing statement and the documents she asked. To my disappointment, I receive a letter from a collection agency about this bill.

Kaiser has not yet paid and I am screwed because it is in the collection now and sooner will mess up my financial records. How can Kaiser do this? How could a case manager reassure me they will pay for it but never do it? And now I am calling them but no answer. Kaiser does not help you with your health issues, they give you health problems including making you sick worried about things they should handle better. I hope one day Kaiser shuts down.

Kaiser Permanente expert review by Joseph Burns

Kaiser Permanente is a unique health care management program that is located mainly in the western United States. In California, Colorado and seven other states, patients who have Kaiser coverage get health care services, including hospital stays, at Kaiser health facilities.

• Offers low-cost health plans: Kaiser offers several different levels of service with varying premiums, deductibles and co-pays.

• Kaiser offers all services itself: This company provides health care services as well as health care coverage, making it easier to get needed services and file claims.

• Online application process: It’s easy to get a quote and sign up for Kaiser.

• Best for: Students, employees, heads of families

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Kaiser Permanente Insurance Company Information