Kaiser Permanente Insurance

3550people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with Kaiser Permanente Insurance:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

I had been with Kaiser for a few years, and during that time was diagnosed with an ascending aortic aneurysm, pulmonary aneurysm, aortic valve leakage and mitral valve leakage. I am also overweight. Their advice was to lose weight, which I am in total agreement with. Now, trying to get any help, nutritional guidelines etc out of Kaiser was impossible. I spoke with my primary, my cardiologist, another covering cardiologist who told me flat out when I asked for help losing weight "There is no help for you, get out of my office", and got no assistance whatsoever. They did tell me about a medical weight loss program they offered, which is not covered at all by Kaiser, and would have cost me $2,700.00 for 3 months.

I switched to a PPO plan with a different insurance carrier and now see a cardiologist (read one of my previous posts about my fight with them about my heart conditions) and a nutritionist in the cardiology department, and in one visit I have all the proper nutrition guidelines I need, and am on my way to a healthy weight and BMI. Do not go to Kaiser for help with nutrition, weight loss, heart problems - or anything. They won't help you, but they will be glad to take your premiums every month for what adds up to nothing.

Kaiser Permanente is the worst healthcare available in this country. The personnel is incompetent. Since joining six months ago, I have experienced nothing but frustration with the smallest of things. Getting someone on the telephone is impossible. You cannot even leave a message because voice mail boxes are full. No one returns calls. I have requested films/X-rays that got lost and/or took 3 weeks to show up. I have been "lost" while sitting in waiting rooms waiting for my name to be called. My prescriptions have been "lost." My doctor has ordered extra tests for which I have been billed during routine exams. The list goes on and on. INCOMPETENCE is the only way to describe this organization. Poorly run and poorly managed. Cannot reach anyone by phone. You are not allowed to walk in and speak to anyone. They insist that you "email or call." No one responds to calls or emails.

I was sold a bill of goods. As a retired senior on Medicare I was with United Health Care. A salesperson told me how good KP was and that my hospital coverage would be less with KP than my United plan (not true). So I got on board. BIG MISTAKE! First thing is I told them to take my payment out of my Social Security. They said fine. Then got a bill and called them. They told me they were having problems with SS so I best pay the bill direct. Gave her a credit card. They hit the card not one time but two times!! Two days later Social Security sends me a letter that they were withholding funds and paying KP as I had agreed. So now they were billing me and being paid by SS!! Took weeks and long time on hold to fix this problem they created! My co pays are higher.

Also when you see a doctor pay that co pay just wait. You will get a bill for more very soon! You never can call your Dr's office as you would. You have to call some 800 number and talk with someone that seems clueless most of the time. I made a big mistake. Now I must wait until October to sign back onto United Health Care and that will not take effect until Jan. So as of now I will avoid using KP and hope I can hold on until Jan without needing heath care. I have zero trust in KP. Be very aware before you make the same mistake as me!

An 18 year KP veteran experiences a pre-identified, pre-disposed anticipated back surgery scheduled 6 days from now. Requires primary care provider visit to get a referral to back surgery for. The soonest available primary care provider appointment in 11 Days!!! Poor Management; Overworked/overscheduled staff.

They agreed to reimburse me for a bill inconsistent with their original quote. To me, that remedies the problem.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaiser Permanente?

I signed up with Kaiser Permanente through Marketplace. For last year everything went fine but this year after May 2016 my monthly premium jump 200%. I called and was told they received info from Marketplace. I did a conference call with KP and MP, spent 3.5 hours on phone and Marketplace confirmed no change was made on their side since 1/1/2016. See billing logs for record: 05/01/2016 $398.47; 04/01/2016 $108.73; 03/01/2016 $108.73; 02/01/2016 $108.73; 01/01/2016 $108.73.

For month of June they fixed the billing but remove my dependent (my wife) from my policy. Again I called, spend few hours with KP. They hang up on few times saying I have to call Marketplace as they send the change request. I called Marketplace, spent 45 min on phone. They confirmed no change on their side and they escalated the case for someone to look into this.

Please do not sign up with KP. They make unauthorized changes to your account and will hold you responsible for payments. They will not see you no matter how serious sick you are. In my case my wife is suffering like fish without water for lower stomach pain but these money hunger devil will not see her because her policy is deactivated when it should not be. I wish to move away from them as soon as open enrollment and trust me 50+ of my families and friends will do the same! Externally disappointing to see your loved one suffering and can't do much. :(

I have been changing HMOs every year since my doctor retired about 5 now and Kaiser is the worst. You have to do everything yourself. My old doctor took care of me, let me know when I needed test or whatever, talked about my problems. These guys do nothing. You have to tell them, diagnose yourself, they'll look up on the computer to see what to do and print out a paper of what you are supposed to do (could of done that online. GOOGLE). And then they say everything in one place. Why do I have to travel 10 miles to see a specialist. I live 5 mins from the main hospital and closer to other facilities, how is this all in one place. In conclusion, I HATE KAISER PERMANENTE.

Kaiser used to be good, if not very good. It has been two years now that from mostly what we believe is they damaged my nerve during the surgery, and of course they won't take responsibility. For two years, they keep misdiagnosing me with every kind of condition there is. First they told me I have Lyme disease. Took a month worth of medication, then they said I never had it. One spine doctor said "You may have a tumor in the spine." That was false! I was told I may have MS. That was also false. Now they are saying I may have a autoimmune neuropathy, which I have to get tested still. Anyways the runarounds. I have to visit the ER so many times, because the pain gets so intense, and they just prescribe neuropathic medications, which I don't get any use out of so far. I am close on cancelling my insurance with Kaiser.

I have had a number of jobs where fortunately I have always had PPO. My latest company only offered Kaiser. My husband who had Kaiser for years and decided that he would go with the insurance carrier that I had with my previous employer. He was shocked how incredibly efficient the doctors who accepted my PPO. When I took on a new role with this another company, it was my first-hand experience with Kaiser. My husband who by this time loved the PPO remembered why he never went to the doctor previously when he had Kaiser. My doctor which is the same as his told me that I had gallstones and that I needed surgery to take them out. I asked if there was an alternative solution to surgery. He said no. Then I asked, "What happens when you go untreated?" His immediate answer was "You die." Really??? Is THAT what doctors are suppose to say?

My husband had to go in to the same doctor for a knee injury. Not only did the doctor provide the wrong prognosis on what was wrong - he sent my husband to the X-ray office and marked the wrong leg for X-rays. When he got to the hospital they said they could not take him because the doctor needs to correct on paper that it was the wrong leg and my husband would have to come back when it is corrected. He was not allowed to just simply tell them that it was the other leg. Lastly when my husband was told by the Kaiser customer service representative on the phone to go to the Kaiser urgent care on Saturday. When we got there, and he had to painfully hobble to the counter, the lady behind it said, "Oh sorry, we can't accept you because our facility closed 5 mins ago. You will have to go to our affiliate hospital." Little did we know that we would have to pay $4K to go to that one. Kaiser really does SUCK!

On Tuesday June 28 a phone conference was held concerning my wife's medical coverage (Donna **) who is currently in a nursing facility here in Florence, Oregon (Regency Florence). Kaiser has determined that my wife should be discharged from Regency. My wife had surgery in March that inserted a drain tube into her stomach, removed her gall bladder, sectioned her intestine, and then operated on her brain to repair the damage that resulted from a stroke she had the same day. All of this occurred within a 4 hour period on March 17. My wife is paralyzed on her right side, she cannot toilet herself, needs total hands on assistance for daily activities, and has a feeding tube to her stomach. How can Kaiser believe she is ready to be discharged?

Since her stroke and surgeries she has only been outside a nursing facility once and that did not go well. I would love to hear the reasoning behind Kaiser's decision to discharge her. I know that there is no way in the world that I can provide the level of care that my wife needs. I've been a member of Kaiser since 1974. I have always supported and spoke highly about Kaiser. I think that is coming to an abrupt end. I will be posting my feelings of my wife's treatment everywhere possible. With everything we've been dealing with, Kaiser's refusal to continue her treatment/rehab is something I never expected. Fool me once...

We pay thru our employer. We pay thru our pay check. We pay a copay. We pay for services that are overpriced. No in house financing. We need to get approved for outside financing. What if we can't get approved? Can't afford to pay more.

For at least 8 months prior to Sept. 2015, my fiance and I had tried to get Kaiser to acknowledge something was wrong with my fiance's father's mental state. He was a danger to himself and others. IE: Erratic driving, causing accidents. Set fire to his kitchen and tried to put it out with bug spray. His roommate stopped him. His personal hygiene was atrocious, he reeked of urine and feces with stains all down his pants. Taking medication not prescribed to him, belonging to his girlfriend who has schizophrenia. We witnessed this!

He was missing for over a week and had moved 2 times to new residences within that 2 weeks. He was very paranoid. Police had to help us locate him. Kaiser wanted to do psych eval and told us since he goes to AA, they would send a team to the AA meeting but we had to have police with us. We set that up, called Kaiser in the morning to tell them we were ready to do this. They then told us they don't do that. We eventually got him into the ER on Sept. 4/2015. He had stomach pain and called us to take him in. They were refusing to do the psych eval. Had a social worker talk to us, who seen nothing wrong with the accidents, fire, buying random people iPhones or giving random people his bank account numbers, etc.

I threatened to sue them. We were not leaving until they did the psych eval. They did the eval and determined he was not capable of being on his own and admitted him to the Jewish Home for the Aging which is hour drive one way from where we live. We were up to see him almost every day, when we weren't, we were cleaning his apartment out which was full of mold. We fought with that facility's social worker to be able to get him to sign POA to his son. I went above social worker's head and found out he was lying to us and cannot deny him legal representation which this social worker was also doing. Even his attorney friend got into it with this social worker. It took us over half of Sept. to get this signed.

We had to clean out his apt. and get his stuff into storage and the other apt. he had as well. He was diagnosed with dementia, psychosis with behavioral disturbances. He was released to our care on October 4th, 2015. It's been a constant fight with Kaiser. The stomach pain they said at first was two small hernias while he was in Reseda but they were not going to do anything about it. It was not, it was one big hernia that we had fixed after he came home with us, along with cataracts on both eyes. We had a cyst removed that he was pulling at and aggravating it. It was growing fast. We asked them to remove another one on his lower back he kept messing with but they refused, saying it would not cause issues.

It then became inflamed overnight with pustules on it. Called Kaiser to make appt. No call back as they said they would. Called Kaiser Urgent Care the next day as it was worse. Nurse wanted him in asap and said it was infected. Took him in, it was too infected to drain. Medication given. It broke open. Called Kaiser, no appt. Called Urgent Care, got him in, again. They cleaned and bandaged it. Gave us some supplies, changed medication to stronger medication and a pain med.

When it could be removed, finally got him into surgery. His health is going fast. He was complaining of back pain in his spine. We took him to Dr. several times and they said they didn't know what was causing it. He keeps leaning to the left and has gait ataxia really bad. Took him to chiropractor who said his spine was very out of alignment, adjusted it and it lasted for a week. Come to find out, he has arthritis in his spine and several disks that disintegrated and Kaiser had known this for 6 years! We found out he is supposed to see neurology once a year and missed last apt. in 2014.

Got him apt. Dr. was nice. Frontal lobe dementia was determined and were told most aggressive form. He has diffuse brain atrophy so the parts that control inhibition is damaged. He gets violent. Psychiatrist put him on medication for aggression. It made him sleep constantly to where you couldn't wake him at all. He wouldn't drink or eat during this. Kept telling them he was fecal hoarding, they said no. He's just manipulating. WHAT? We gave him stool softeners and laxatives they prescribed. It wasn't working. Had to call 911 for an intervention on 2 occasions as he got violent.

Second time, we get call from social worker at Kaiser the following day, who immediately told us on the phone that if we did not pick him up they were going to charge my fiance with abandonment. No one had said anything to her except, "hello," when we answered the call. That social worker was way out of line. We had been told that they were keeping him for a few days to run tests and IV for dehydration. We even called up there several times a day to check on him and his son visited him, taking him clothing, prior to that call from her.

They keep pressing us to put him in a home and keep saying they can monitor him 24/7. There is nothing a home can do that we can't do here at ours. This month, June 2016, we woke him up one morning and he had these marks on his skin and a huge water blister on his inside elbow. We thought maybe some kind of reaction to the medications caused the blister and we keep telling them he picks at his skin, saying there are strings in his skin or something crawling on him. I and the psych nurse thinks it's some kind of neuropathy. I have neuropathy, so I know it can feel like that. Kaiser had him go to Sunnyside nursing facility for rehab. He was in fact, fecal hoarding and required enemas and such several times a day. It was blocking his intestines, exactly like I had told them he was doing.

Just because I am not a doctor does not mean that I am an idiot either. I had even told them his pain was what was causing his aggression, time after time. We had a meeting with a social worker, doctor and nurse at Sunnyside. I reiterated my issues with Kaiser and no one seemed to be on the same page. The doctor at the meeting assured us if we put him in a home, they could keep him from falling. Her and I slightly argued about this. They also said that doctors told them that we wanted to put him in a home, which was never said by us. They would not tell us which doctor said this. They NEVER do. I inquired about a hospital bed because on one of the papers we got from Kaiser after an appt. clearly said under INSTRUCTIONS: Bed bound, wheelchair bound. She said that's not what that means.

How else can that be interpreted? We then met with the physical therapists who did not understand why they would have given him a cane or even do physical therapy because he cannot retain the information. He could only walk 30 feet with a walker and even then, there were 2 people holding him up to do it. I had inquired about a hospital bed in the meeting so it would be easier for him to get up when he could and such but we were told no, that there was no reason for that bed.

After we had left, we got a call from Sunnyside about an incident where he got up from his wheelchair and bolted after a non-existent child, fell and cut his eyebrow above his right eye and had other contusions. That blew the doctor's theory out of the water that they can prevent falls. We told them it was not their fault because he does exactly the same thing at home when he gets those hallucinations like that and we even told them in the meeting we just had. Upon his release, they were going to have a nurse come by our home and physical therapist.

The nurse was just here, June 28/16 and even she says it is clearly obvious he cannot walk and does not understand why they had given him a walker and that he does need a hospital bed but that physical therapist would have to request this. He was not coherent enough to even talk to the nurse. Kaiser had told us that the nurse would be here in the morning and the physical therapist in the afternoon. Nurse said that wasn't accurate, that the physical therapist would call us within 48 hours to schedule a time to come and if they don't, to call them.

The medication is making him like a zombie. He barely eats or drinks and is having issues with chewing and swallowing. He sleeps almost constantly. He yells if you try to lightly touch him, that it hurts. We think he hurt his shoulder when he fell at the facility, he is complaining of shoulder pain and cannot move that arm hardly at all. What blows our mind most of all, is the psychiatrist's view of this. First meeting with him, I think was October of 2015. He said to not say or do anything to create fear, talk softly to him. Then right after he said that, right in front of my fiance's father, like he isn't even there, he said... "He has dementia. He is going to die," and shrugged. WHO DOES THAT?

I looked at his father and he sunk down into the chair with this terrified look on his face. Now every time we have to see the psychiatrist, he fights us and cries, real tears. He begs us not to put him away in a home and thinks that is what we are planning when we tell him he has an appointment with the psychiatrist. Kaiser set us up with a wheelchair rental with Apria but every time we try to pay for it online, it won't go through. The first payment went through, fine. Then it won't work and it has locked my fiance out of it.

We didn't know it had not gone through the second time. It looked like it had gone through. We had Apria reset the pw for the account and still cannot access it. The bank says there were no requests for the payment to even be denied by the bank. My fiancé went in person to talk to the bank. Originally we had gotten the wheelchair delivered at the end of January but it was defective so it took them a couple weeks to give us a different one. It's a mess and hard to know what is even going on with that because you try to call them and you can never get through so you leave a message.

Not many people have my fiancé's cell number. We use his for medical things to do with his father and mine for other friends and such to call. We get calls from blocked numbers, usually it's Kaiser or people affiliated with Kaiser and when we answer the call, either the person doesn't say anything and hangs up or they talk to us in Spanish and we can't understand them and they hang up. We think that's what's happening with Apria. We think it's them calling us but really don't want to deal with the payment issues on that wheelchair.

I am now looking elsewhere to purchase one instead of this renting. We are frustrated by the misinformation, lack of information we don't get that is detrimental to this man's well being. The nurse that was here told us that the departments don't have the same access to the medical history and records, that they are on different systems, between doctors and departments and that it was worse when everything was on paper. Their issues within their hospital should not reflect on what we do or try to do. People there need to get on the same page between each other and us. We are thinking about calling his old employer to see if we can't get a different medical coverage because Kaiser is horrible.

I would give this pigsty masquerading as a healthcare institution a zero star if this was an option. Kaiser Permanente in Southern California keeps sending me fraudulent charges. It took months for them to clear everything. I thought the worst was over until I noted on my recent credit card statement copay charges for service that was not rendered. I did not give them my credit card information. They must have stored this somewhere and automatically charged my card without my authorization. Please check your credit card statement closely.

There are a lot of wastage at Kaiser because the majority of their managers especially upper managers are so inexperienced and incompetent. Most of them got their degree from diploma mills like University of Phoenix. These folks wasted so much money in creating useless positions so others can do the work for them. They have layers and layers of bureaucracy. It is tough to get into Kaiser to work for them because their HR is retarded. They have so much staff in HR that they do not know what to do except going to meetings all day long. They do not take in experienced workers. Don't feel bad if you could not work for them. Consider yourself lucky.

Most of their union folks are conservative Republicans. What an oxymoron, right? They reap money for don't exactly nothing. They need to make more money so that they can waste more. They do this by ripping off their unsuspecting customers. Well, they finally struck the last nerve of this customer. If any attorneys want to contact me, please do. I post this in hoping to find more people like me who received fraudulent charges. We need to let them know that we are not their typical stupid consumers.

I have had Kaiser insurance my entire life. It used to be great, but it has really gone downhill. I just cancelled my plan. There are so many problems, I'll try to touch on a few of the worst ones. Care - I have received substandard care at Kaiser pretty much continuously over the last couple years. Many of the Drs seem completely incompetent, and the few that are not, seem equally as disappointed in the company as I am.

I was misdiagnosed, had serious problems go undiagnosed, had serious lab results go unchecked which landed me in the hospital, they continually try to push more drugs (pain pills, anti nausea pills and antidepressants) instead of actually curing the problem. I was told my low quality of life was the best they could do for me. I payed out of pocket to see a out of network Dr, and within two weeks of different medication and supplements after testing, I felt better than I had in years and have totally regained my life! I truly feel Kaiser would have just let me die rather than help me. Most Drs visits last only 5 minutes, the Drs refuse to listen to anything you say, and end with them trying to drug you up instead of running needed tests.

Billing - I had auto bill pay set up with Kaiser and multiple times a year they would over charge me by $200-$500. Trying to get the money back was always a nightmare and consisted of hours on the phone, multiple calls and over a month to be reimbursed.

Testing - Kaiser's policy is to not run certain tests. In my case they would never test my vitamin levels, full thyroid panels or hormones even though I had numerous symptoms of having these problems. (I had to go out out of network for both of these, and in both cases my levels for all were dramatically off, some simple meds and supplements were all I needed!)

Medication - Kaiser only prescribes certain brands and types of medications, (I assume the ones they make the most money on) and if those don't work for you, too bad.

All and all I feel like Kaiser almost killed me. My thyroid issues were so bad I was having heart problems, autonomic nerve dysfunction, my average body temp had dropped to 96.8, and I had pretty much completely lost all quality of life. Just a few visits to a different Dr have saved my life, and completely restored my health. I'm shocked I suffered so bad for over two years (had become almost completely bedridden) and the answer for me was SO SIMPLE. I'm now happy and healthy again and feel like my old self. It's criminal what Kaiser is doing to their patients. If anyone is having long term health problems and has Kaiser insurance, I urge you to cancel and see another Dr. It could save your life!

So for over 6 month my Girlfriend has been talking 400mg of ** thinking it was ** and vise versa, due to a complete lack of doing your freaking job correctly... Thank you Kaiser for completely messing her up physically and emotionally... not to mention the fights and constant sleeping, me telling her she is on drugs that were not prescribed (now I feel like a complete **) and almost wrecking the truck and car due to the fatigue... About to lose her job because they're also just not being understanding. She kept in contact with you for month informing you idiots of how she felt the weight gain, fatigue, the trouble she was having in her personal and work life... but did you give two **! No you pushed her aside demanding she continue this ** RX and just about killed her! You should all be ashamed of yourselfs.

Don't you know she is a recovering drug addict and she could have relapsed due to your negligence and altogether lack of giving a crap?!? Like how in the hell do you mix up a sleeping pill and **? They look almost alike but the numbers and texture are not the same... How is it her fault because you can't label correctly? You are disgusting, making her feel like she is wasting away mentally, can't remember anything or make new memories because her brain is pretty much fried!! Can't produce serotonin now because you overdosed her on ** sleeping pills for like 8 months... Now her job is giving her ** because of the repercussions of the last few months and the side effects of taking this stuff... In that dose it's like a damn controlled substance!!! How stupid are you people...

You think I having been keeping everything now, all those emails and that visit to the ER which of course was through Kaiser, for you to pretty much tell her "oh it's ok to take 400+ mg of ** a day for 6-8 months... no you dumb-ass not like that and then tell me 600mg is the max... um no ** for an in-patient being monitored and giving a 50mg updose every 3-4 days for an extended period of time... Not to mention all the other medications that interact with that ** on such a high dose... I could seriously die inside because of what you have done to her and us and her relationship with her mother... Go to hell KAISER and take your POS Pharm techs with you.

I write this so others may know of my experience which may help them to determine if Kaiser is the right insurer for them. First off, I very rarely see the doctor. I do see my gynecologist yearly, and also get a full exam and blood work up. I chose Kaiser because at open enrollment, they seemed to offer the best plan at the best price for me. I was impressed with their emphasis on preventative care and even offered Acupuncture. I thought - great - they are progressive, forward thinking and I also liked that I could go to one place for appointments, blood work, or x-rays should I ever need them, which happens to be a short drive from where I live.

Since I signed up online, it has been nothing but trouble. First of all billing: I signed up to have auto-pay via my credit card. The first payment went through fine then I got a new credit card (same #) with a new expiration date, and it didn't occur to me to update my record on Kaiser. So the next billing cycle, I got a letter saying my credit card was denied. After waiting 30 - THIRTY minutes on the phone to get to a customer service rep, they updated the expiration date, and took my payment over the phone to bring me up to date. I thought all was well. The next month I get another letter that I am past due, and the credit card was declined.

I call Kaiser again. I was on hold a LONG time. There was NO option like some agencies have where when they are experiencing high call volume, they will simply call you back later the same day. I had to wait and wait. Got another customer rep who saw the notes on my expiration date being fixed, confirmed everything was in the system correctly and told me it may just be that it sometimes takes 2 billing cycles for billing issues to resolve. She took my payment over the phone for the outstanding balance and assured me it should correct by the next billing cycle. It did not! Same thing happened AGAIN and now my outstanding balance has grown!

So I call again (another frustrating wait on hold), this time asking to speak with a manager. A manager came on the line and explained to me that clearly there was something wrong with my financial institution (Chase) and that I should call them to find out why they were declining the charge. After explaining to him that I use that credit card regularly, including for online vendors such as Amazon, and had never once had any problems with it, he considered this and concluded that maybe their billing system needed yet another cycle to "clear" whatever problem was happening. He took my payment over the phone for the outstanding balance, and assured me all would be well. This time of course my confidence was not good so I went online and saw that my payment was in "pending" status at Chase and I thought at LAST it is fixed! but it was NOT!

I need to close up this part of the problem by saying that in order to resolve this, I sent numerous emails via their internal system to their complaint/grievance department, I sent a certified letter to the address/person listed on my paper bill and "credit card declined" letters; and all I got back was emails and letters stating that a specialist would be in touch. Eventually someone determined that it was their own systems causing the problem. One system had me on auto pay via credit card, and another had me on paper billing. The paper billing system was overwriting the auto pay system so that's why the charge would show up on my bank as "pending" then disappear.

Their OWN system was the problem and it took 5 months of extensive time and work on my part to get it fixed. Someone did call me back after it all to ensure I was "completely satisfied" with the resolution and I said to her "if this is a known problem in your systems I would suggest you coordinate with the first line team who handles billing problems to let them know so they can resolve it on first call!" But I could see she didn't really want to do anything, just make her call, and wish me well. Dealing with Kaiser on this I felt like I was dealing with a corporation and employees who were doing whatever was required of them by Kaiser- key thing being to close out any phone call as quickly as possible.

As I considered this I wondered god forbid I should have an actual medical issue will they treat me as robotically and systematically as they did with billing? My next issue is medical. I had an issue going on and needed to see a dr. I picked whoever was "taking new patients" and made an appointment. Luckily though their online system I was able to see open times and kept checking and got lucky to get an appointment quickly due to a cancellation. This part of Kaiser worked extremely well. The issue I had is one I have had in the past - several years ago - and so I described what was going on, and what I had been prescribed in the short term that helped me.

One issue is that I had not been sleeping well for many months and it was taking its toll. I asked for ** as that has worked well for me in the past. She said "Kaiser doesn't like to prescribe that because of problems people have had, so let me give you this other drug." I told her I am sensitive to medications, I hardly ever take prescriptions (it's been over 2 years since I needed anything) and I would prefer to take something that I know has worked for me in the past. I had a very bad reaction to ** (another sleeping pill) and did not want to take chances trying new things. Not doing. For my other issues, same thing.

She would not prescribe me a medication that I know has worked well in the past, a very common medication that has been around for years and years. Instead she gave me a list of books to read, and a list of supplements to buy at Vitamin Cottage. She is an MD and acted like a naturopath. I love natural medicine. I have no problem with supplements. But for the issues I was having I needed basic medical prescriptions for an immediate issue short-term that she refused to provide. I tried the sleeping pill she recommended, and next day I was groggy, head fog, couldn't get out of bed and my stress levels further agitated. I was so angry. I felt like she didn't really listen to me, she had her own agenda, and stuck with it.

By email she finally agreed to give me the medication I had previously requested and that I told her has worked for me but only a very very small quantity and said she would not ever give me any more. She treated me terribly and made me feel horrible. I haven't been on any prescription meds for over 2 years and when I have been on them it's always been short term and I end up throwing out the leftovers. She apparently didn't believe me and treated me like a drug addict on the mission to get some **.

Needless to say I will never go back to her as a doctor and if I can I will drop Kaiser. I did hear from others that at Kaiser everything depends on your PCP. I am told there are good ones but those usually are not taking new patients. So for any of you seeking services bear this in mind. After these experiences I simply cannot trust that should I have a medical emergency or diagnoses of any kind that Kaiser will treat me as anything but a number with a list of symptoms for which there is a pre-defined path to follow. Might as well be seen by a Robot.

I am a current Kaiser member that needed umbilical hernia surgery. I had a appointment on June 13th 2016 to be evaluated by the surgeon. The hernia was verified and surgery was recommended. I was told a scheduler would be contacting me sometime in the future. I was contacted the same day scheduling my pre-op on June 15th 2016 and the surgery on the June 17th 2016. I put in for the time off from work to address this matter. I went in for the pre-op testing, which they asked me about my medical history - heartbeat and lung sounds. No EKG was done, and I was not informed to run by the lab on my way out. The following day I called Kaiser about not having my labs done. They told me that my labs were drawn on June 9th 2016. That is literally impossible due to the fact that my first appointment at the surgery center was on June 13th 2016.

At this point I am getting concerned about the ability of Kaiser to result labs under the correct patient record. I call and talk to a Kaiser rep concerning my labs and I was directed to the closest Kaiser facility near my house. The following day, June 17th 2016 my check-in time for surgery was at 12:30. I check-in to pre-op on June 17th 2016, and get ready for surgery, (IV etc.). My nerves at this point are elevated waiting for the surgery to get underway. Surgery was scheduled for 14:00 and I waited until 16:15 at which my surgery was cancelled due to unforeseen reasons. I do not understand why no other surgeon was on call. I was told I would be a priority and that I would probably be contacted the next day to reschedule.

I was not contacted until Monday June 20th 2016, and they were calling me to see how my recovery was going. I could not believe it! The right hand does not know what the left hand is doing!!! I was told by the scheduler that the soonest they could get me in would be around the end of July 2016 due to my surgeon education/vacation time. I have lost ALL confidence in Kaiser's ability to perform the simplest tasks, like paperwork, pt record files etc. I am no longer going to patronize your so call medical facilities. I hope the corporation I work for pulls our account in the future, which I have issued a formal complaint to benefits. I feel like my rights have been violated and I am seeking my legal rights.

May 15th 2015 at 11:30 am - This CLAIRE ** MD works for Kaiser at their Irvine location. My son has a goiter which is nodular and is quite obvious. Dr. ** bedside manner is nonexistent, she is abrasive with a frigid personality. CLAIRE ** MD walked into the room my son and I were waiting in with an attitude as if we were wasting her time. She look at my son and said, "Stop so much eating Mcdonalds." Really? I replied, "We don't eat fast food" and she gave me the most scornful glare. I insisted she check his neck to understand what I am talking about, which she did but said... "it normal for some people to have goiters..." My son cried as we left her office.

When I tried to make a dental hygiene and check-up appointment, I was told that there were no appointments available and they would call me when they opened up the schedule three months in the future. I did not receive a call even though I was supposedly put on a waiting list. I called back two times in an attempt to get an appointment and was told not to call back. I was very polite each time. I submitted a complaint to Membership Services and filled out the form for a complaint to the Insurance Consumer Fraud Division. The attorney at the State Department advised me to do so as my insurance payments were all on time and Kaiser's Patient's Rights state that I have a right to timely treatment. The third time that I called requesting a dental appointment, I politely told the representative what I had done for being denied services for which I had paid. Within minutes I had an appointment.

I'm a senior, and a mental health patient who's been with Kaiser on my wife's policy. I'm going to apologize up front my memory for dates is bad. I'll do my best and if you need more I can call my daughter and see if she remembers. I am a Southeast Asia war veteran; diagnosed with Bi-polar, anxiety, nervousness, ADHD, sleep troubles, highly agitated, memory problems, anti-sociable with extreme mood swings with a dash of Diabetics and high cholesterol. My wife and I went to Kaiser member services around the first of the year to check out my options. We were divorcing and I had to be taken off my ex wife's policy. A nice lady told me about Kaiser senior advantage and cost of approx. 80.00 per mo. actually it didn't seem all that bad. It seems that if you fight in a war you have certain rights. One of these is Health Care for free.

I explained that to her and she totally understood why I was declining. She never explained that I was to sign anything! My Mental State around Dec. & Jan. was really bad. My 15 yr marriage dissolved, lost my home and my medications were so screwed that I was hallucinating and could barely function, my memory and comprehension, balance were at the worst ever! I was not competent at this time to the point where my daughters were trying to have me committed. They had to fly in from LA and Phoenix to move me into a temporary residence. During this time I guess Kaiser says they were trying to reach me and it was my responsibility to let them know my new address? Why, I had gone to membership services. As far as I knew Kaiser and I were through. Apparently they had sent me some correspondence stating that I had to sign some form? I had already handled this at Kaiser Membership.

Several months later I started receiving letters that had the wrong address (Caymus Dr. Sacramento) I lived at **, Citrus Heights, Ca. I have no idea where Caymus is and why we're trying to contact there? I was starting to smell trouble so I called Kaiser Membership and they began to explain to me that I was delinquent on my Senior Advantage program which they put me on without my permission and I owed them $261.00 in back payments. I explained that I had declined that program months ago. They insisted that that I owed. My case was sent to a case mgr. Daniel @ **. We talked and she said she had to check things out and would get back to me soon. No reply after 1-1/2 weeks so I called her to see what's happening (this was Friday). She informed me she had a few more things to check out and she would let me know.

The next day (Saturday) a letter came from Daniel said it was legal to sign me up without my permission and they could dis-enroll me without the stated letter. From this point on I left 3 messages to Daniel, not only would she not call me back; it became obvious that she had caller ID; she would never pick up no matter what time I called, but it was clear I had no choice but to pay $261.00. I'm a senior citizen living on SSi disability and small VA disability and that's it. This leaves me about $400.00 discretionary income to live on, so you see if I pay $261.00 06/15/16 which doesn't leave me much. I don't want any problems so I paid it. I feel ripped off and I don't feel this was appropriate!

Kaiser is the worst insurance possible. It seems for the past 5 years their service is diminishing and their costs are increasing. It is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to get an appt. It is like the Drs are always booked. Their parking is also horrible. I know the Fontana and Ontario locations tell you to arrive 30 minutes for your appt to allow for parking. What place does that? They build and expand but don't add parking. Where do they expect all these people (equals $$) to park? I complained to Member Services and was told they are adding Valet parking with a charge. Of course, to make more money. Taking away parking from the people that either can't afford parking or don't want or feel they need to pay for it.

Kaiser states they care for their members. They do not. I have a friend who works for Kaiser and she does not like Kaiser. She does not even have their insurance even though it is free to her. Her husband pays for insurance. She says she only works there and sees that Kaiser will do ANYTHING not to pay any claims that are filed against them. I want to change Kaiser once open enrollment comes up. I have been with Kaiser since I was a kid over 25 years but this is no longer the Kaiser that I grew up with. Kaiser is just money hungry.

My mother who is 80 and suffers from dementia had an appointment at Kaiser Medical Center at Downey. We arrived and checked in 15 minutes early. After not being called for 40 minutes and watching others who arrived after us leave before us, I inquired when would she seen. She was immediately seen after that. When I wrote an email complaint on the kp.org account for her which I set up and only I use, I get a reply email not saying they would look into the matter but they are going to cut off the account because only my mother who is 80 and has dementia can use it. Somehow this seems like a threat for reporting fault with their methods.

I was informed (5/2016), that Kaiser executives has made an executive decision to reduce the use of ** with ALL its patients. I am 52 post menopause. My RX was reduced from 30 per month to 3 per week. Menopause does not take 4 days off per week and it is ludicrous to think so or prescribe based on that thought process. Kaiser board members, did you ever think about your patient's individual needs? No you did not. Kaiser went general on the reduction of this drug class. Kaiser never considered why the patient is taking the medicine. Kaiser generalized us. Kaiser, thanks for being God, judge and juror for me and my individual medical needs. THRIVE by Kaiser is LAUGHABLE.

I was injured in a ski accident at Mammoth, California. I broke my leg when I had a run in with a tree. There is no Kaiser facility at this location. I was taken by ambulance to Mammoth Hospital and had surgery. Kaiser approved the procedure and hospital stay, no problem. After a few days, I needed to be transferred to a rehabilitation facility. I have three flights of stairs in my home and could not live there alone. Kaiser authorized my transfer to Bishop Care Center (the closest rehab facility). I was a guest of Bishop Care Center for 7 weeks. I received excellent care. The physical therapists were great. The nursing staff caring and there were activities to pass the time. Kaiser approved my stay without any hesitation. I was discharged. I was also 300 miles from home. Kaiser did not provide transportation home.

I live in Los Angeles. I had a friend pick me up and I went to stay at my friend's house in Las Vegas (for a week to allow some more time for healing and mobility). A week before my departure, I contacted my primary care doctor. I arranged for continued physical therapy and a follow up visit with an orthopedist. I also asked for a walker to be provided prior to discharge from Bishop Care Center, so I could ambulate. I had a phone appointment with my primary care doctor. He approved my requests. In a couple of days, I was contacted by both the orthopedist and physical therapy and I was able to schedule appointments for dates close to my return date to Los Angeles. I was contacted by APRIA, the durable goods provider for Kaiser about delivery of a walker to me in Bishop prior to the discharge date and was assured I would receive it by FedEx. The walker did not arrive as promised despite several follow up phone calls.

When I was discharged, my friend went and bought me crutches, so I could walk. We arrived in Las Vegas. APRIA was contacted repeatedly for a few days and they kept promising, but failed to deliver the walker. Out of frustration, I wrote to the CEOs of both APRIA and Kaiser. Never got a response from CEO of APRIA. But I got a response from Mr. Tyson, CEO of Kaiser within 10 minutes although it was Memorial Day. He assured me it would be resolved. Long story, but next morning at 9 am, I got a phone call from APRIA that the walker would be delivered that day. (Had been getting that promise for 5 days already, but no walker). I was given a Fed Ex tracking number and the personal cell phone number of the person calling me. By 2 pm, my walker was delivered. I received a phone call thereafter from Mr. Tyson's secretary wanting more detail about the problems with APRIA. Yesterday?

I received another nice email from Mr. Tyson making sure everything was ok. Most people write in with complaints. If they got what they expected, it's just taken for granted. I wanted to write a review expressing my appreciation to Kaiser for everything they have done to provide me with a worry free recovery. My care is still ongoing and I hope it will continue to go as smoothly as it has so far. Only word of warning is that APRIA is unreliable and don't believe their promises. Keep on top of them until they deliver.

I have been a member of Kaiser for 10 years. At first I was Kaiser Added Choice, which meant I could use outside doctors. When I became 65 Kaiser dropped me from this plan and put me on the Medicare Advantage Plan. That one is an HMO and all services must be within Kaiser. After suffering a bout with cancer I became aware of how politically this system is. I needed Physical Therapy for lymphedema in my arm, but the only person who performs this service is not in town, but an hour away from the population center. I was too sick to make this trip so I was unable to get the service. I have not been able to find a good Primary Care Physician. Kaiser says you have a choice, yes, BUT few of the doctors are taking new patients, and those are the doctors people don't want. The good ones are taken.

Since the advent of electronic medical records, the PCP's just sit behind the computer and look at your tests. At most they will listen to your lungs. Even when you have a complaint, they only have 10 minutes and they just order a prescription or test. If that doesn't work, they give you another one to try. It seems like diagnosis by prescription trial. My PCP misdiagnosed a basal cell carcinoma on my nose until I cried for her to refer me to dermatology. I now have a scar that runs from between my eyebrows, down the bridge of my nose, and across to my cheek. The PCP's are the gatekeepers to the specialists. You can't see one on your own. Kaiser is mired in outdated medical practices. They will not use the cologuard stool test, which is 99% accurate because their standard is the outdated FIT test or a colonoscopy.

The doctors' areas are all behind locked doors. The patients sit in waiting rooms until someone lets them in. When I had surgery, my family was waiting for me in the surgery waiting room. The surgery ran into past midnight, but my family was told to leave the waiting room at 9 p.m. and it was locked. I have complained and complained throughout the Kaiser system and nothing gets changed. When open enrollment comes up I am going to change my plan.

The reason for this bad review is to warn other patients of what Kaiser doctors will do to you if you get angry and complain about them, as I have in the near past. I hate Kaiser because of all the pain, and suffering, they've caused me and my family, and friends. Their blatant negligence has caused many deaths and they are allowed to get away with it, to this day! Therefore, I complain all the time because nothing has changed since I was a kid in the early 1960's, when they made my mother suffer needlessly! Yet, nothing is better! I've been forced to become a Kaiser member, again, because that's all my employer offers. And, this is to let you all know that they manipulate our medical records to suit them when they've misdiagnosed us, and if we complain in anger! Oh, yes they do! I have complained about the blatantly rude, and arrogant doctors I've had to suffer in the past 6 years, and I have written scathing reviews of several of them.

Now, all of the sudden, there's an entry that states a condition that I do not have! I have never been seen for it, and none of the lousy doctors I have seen, practice that wing of medicine! So, now I am on the hunt to try and track down the creep who entered that into my medical records! I am pretty sure it was a female doctor at one of the Marin County, CA clinics who I complained about because she was extremely arrogant, and had a crazy glare in her eyes. I ended up seeing her when I went in because one of my legs was really painful, and it felt like it was going to explode. I told her I was afraid it might be a clot. Wow, she went off on me, and yelled that if I truly had a clot, my leg would be red, and swollen, and in pain! Well, it was in a lot of pain.

I argued back to this woman that she was wrong because my sister had gone to her private doctor to remove varicose veins in her legs. She's a body builder and wanted to look good. She had NO pain, OR symptoms. She purely went in for cosmetic reasons, yet her doctor found several clots in each leg! I told that arrogant woman that, and she got even more angry, and crazy! The story goes on, so when I got home I immediately sat down, in anger, and sleep deprived, because I work nights, and I wrote a long and very accurate complaint. So, now I have this illness on my med record, and it is a blatant falsehood!

So, my warning is this: I URGE ALL PATIENTS TO GET A COPY OF WHATEVER THE KAISER DOCTOR SAW YOU FOR, THAT VERY DAY. Then go back and periodically recheck your med records because they do make changes to them without your knowledge! They do it to protect themselves by altering, and adding verbiage so they can deny any wrong doing, and they will enter their "opinion" of you personally to be vindictive if you complain. So, when I get off work on Friday morning I'm going to have to travel 40+ miles to begin the painstaking ordeal of trying to find out who entered that illness into my records. I will have to waste gas, bridge fare, and time to deal with this but I am not going to stop. I will keep you posted!

Billing is deliberately confusing in an effort to generate more revenue. At first I assumed that they were just behind on crediting accounts. However, on my most recent statement Kaiser combined money due for the current month with money due for the next month and labeled the entire balance as being past due. When I called Member Services to clear up the situation, they had the nerve to attempt to get another month's payment from me stating that the month of June would be paid while in actuality I would have been paid through the month of July.

Hi. Just got a letter from KP saying my bill is past due and will be sent to collection agency in 10 days. I went online to check if I can pay it or appears on any of my accounts. The bill does not does show up on any accounts. How consumers are suppose to pay such bills? Kaiser's payment systems seems to be buggy. It may be a good candidate for class action lawsuit.

I advise that users be careful in taking advice about benefits from representatives that you do not know or trust. I suggest you document all the details you were given so you have a way back to those who advised you. I have a great dr. that I know and trust very much. I would never turn her advice down. As it turns out I had to go in and my dr. was not available. I seen an alternative dr. who suggested that I go to the emergency room for more tests. I specifically and at least two times asked if this was covered by insurance and I would try and get this procedure done another way than the emergency room. I was told that this was obviously covered by insurance and that I should go... Big mistake. I now have a bill of biblical proportions that must be paid and it was my responsibility. I hope other members do not have to suffer the consequences as I do. BEWARE.

I had insurance with Kaiser for a year. When an automatic withdrawal payment didn't process, they didn't notify me. I learned a month later that I owed for the prior month. This is all due to my debit card expiration changing. I changed it online before the date and thought it was all good. I called once I realized I owed for an extra month to make sure they had the right card on file and they did.

A month later, my insurance was cancelled. I called customer service and they admitted fault by saying it was a computer error and that they would take care of it. Nothing was taken care of. They told me I had to file an appeal (which could take up to 6 weeks) to get my insurance reinstated. I told them I wasn't going to do that. I wanted a letter stating that they were at fault for cancelling. They said I would have to file a complaint. This was back in March.

Here we are, almost June, and they told me that they wouldn't take any responsibility for cancelling my insurance, which basically won't allow me to get insurance with anybody. I have an 8 yr old daughter, and I'm a single dad. They better believe I'm getting lawyers involved, because, at this rate, me and my daughter will be without insurance for almost a year. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. I heard horror stories before I had their insurance and I disregarded it. Please don't make the same mistake I did.

Expert Review

Joseph BurnsHealth Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.    More about Joseph→

Kaiser Permanente is a unique health care management program that is located mainly in the western United States. In California, Colorado and seven other states, patients who have Kaiser coverage get health care services, including hospital stays, at Kaiser health facilities.

• Offers low-cost health plans: Kaiser offers several different levels of service with varying premiums, deductibles and co-pays.
  • Kaiser offers all services itself: This company provides health care services as well as health care coverage, making it easier to get needed services and file claims.
  • Online application process: It’s easy to get a quote and sign up for Kaiser.
  • Best for Students, employees, heads of families