1.55/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

922 Kaiser Permanente Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

The worst of all health care insurance I had. I was rushed to the ER in Nevada for emergency care. I was vomiting, having nausea, headache, stiff neck. The bill was around $21,000 but Kaiser only paid $14,000. I work with the government and I know I am covered in full. Until now Kaiser has not paid the bill. I am put in a collection agency now. Last September, I spoke with Kaiser Case Manager based in Oakland (name is Britney) and she told me Kaiser will pay them. I just need to send her all the bills, etc. I did faxed the billing statement and the documents she asked. To my disappointment, I receive a letter from a collection agency about this bill.

Kaiser has not yet paid and I am screwed because it is in the collection now and sooner will mess up my financial records. How can Kaiser do this? How could a case manager reassure me they will pay for it but never do it? And now I am calling them but no answer. Kaiser does not help you with your health issues, they give you health problems including making you sick worried about things they should handle better. I hope one day Kaiser shuts down.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I was obligated to switch to Kaiser through my current job from having state health insurance. I thought it would be great since I am actually paying monthly and get better care. I got pregnant and not once was I told congratulations or acknowledged. I was treated like I was just another person they had to care for. Luckily my pregnancy itself is easy, no complications, but the whole entire staff at the Tacoma hospital made me stress out my mind, each visit I had a new midwife, them always asking what is my visit for (pregnancy). Duh. I had alerts on every test that came back saying I had cancer, my baby has a cyst in her brain, but let's run more tests to be sure when it turned out to be completely nothing, but I had to wait a week or 2 to speak to an actual Dr. about anything. Not to mention each test ran was a couple hundred dollars. I'm starting to think they're just out to do whatever just to collect money.

It's been a complete nightmare but I am glad to say I won't be delivering my daughter with this insurance, luckily my husband is able to add me to his (we just got married right before the first enrollment of his insurance ended). I would never recommend Kaiser to anyone. My son has it as well and they told me he had a heart murmur (after being perfectly fine for 4 years with state insurance). Made us do an echocardiogram and turned out, it went away! Once again, wanting to do unnecessary things to scare me and more money out of pocket. If it's not considered a big deal, why make it sound like it in the first place? I had a colposcopy done, while pregnant, each phone call I made I had asked "how will this affect my pregnancy?" And every one I spoke to said "wait, you're pregnant" even right before the procedure. It's a hell of a insurance, the whole medical staff is not sympathetic or caring and act like workers at McDonald's. Get in, get out.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

In researching the Kaiser Bronze HSA insurance plan, I followed the phone number (available Monday through Friday, from 5 a.m. to 7 p.m.) listed under "Experienced Support" in the Kaiser Health Savings Account info page, first to a representative that was not able to help me with insurance questions (so clearly the wrong phone number, for starters). That representative then directed me to a support agent in the Billing department. This representative seemed confident he could answer my questions. He had never before read the aforementioned HSA info page, and had no knowledge of the fees listed on that page. When asked other questions regarding the plan, I was met multiple times with "I'm not sure the answer to that" and similar responses.

Eventually, after 14 minutes of inadequate and unconfident answers, the representative says "we have another department that would have the answers to these questions". So I asked to be transferred to a representative in that department. The representative says "of course, let me transfer you over to that department." I'm then met with an automated message, saying the office is now closed, and the call hangs up on me. I see that it is now 5:02 pm, and suspect this specific office closes at 5:00pm.

Essentially, had the phone number on the info page directed me to the right department, I might have had the chance to reach someone able to answer my questions. Even still, if either other two representatives had transferred me to the right department in a timely manner, instead of wasting my time attempting to give incomplete and unsure answers (in the case of the 2nd representative), I might have had the chance to reach someone able to answer my questions. Worse still, is the fact that the representative confidently transferred me to a closed department that would hang up the phone on me, either intentionally or out of sheer cluelessness. The complete lack of professionalism and organization leads me to believe being a customer of Kaiser insurance would be an incredibly unclear and difficult to navigate experience, with inadequate support and reassurance.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

11-3-2018 Called 911 to KP LaCienega ER. Three-ring circus. MD, nurse, social worker. All three apathetic, stupid, rude, insulting etc. 911 didn't bring my walker. I need it to walk. Nurse offered NO assistance. Lend cane or Walker to get home!!! Refused to call in prescription. Refused to give names, and hid badges! I had seizure, concussion, fall injuries, bladder infection affecting my kidneys (have kidney, liver disease). Four days try get script. MD CANCELLED because I complained. Hallelujah for the pharmacist(s)...the low level workers who are caring, concerned. Even security woman in front who helped. I won't forget. I WILL NEVER COME BACK. Thirty three years member. Canceling membership!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

We purchased a small business policy from Kaiser. We have had nothing but terrible experiences. Our employees were taking more days off just to get a simple doctor visit or procedure taken care of. I had to go to the hospital. Even though there is a written protocol for treating a pre-existing condition in my health record, KP doctors could not be bothered to read and follow it. They nearly killed me. They did cripple me. Their legal dept. is so large they will crush anyone that attempts to sue them. You just can't sue them because they will make it too expensive legally to pursue arbitration. On that note, do you have $75,000 in your bank account to pay for the experts to assist your arbitration? No? Then DO NOT TAKE OUT KAISER PERMANENTE INSURANCE. THEY WILL KILL YOU.

Kaiser Permanente has the biggest collection of burned-out, drug-addicted, and just plain incompetent doctors anywhere in the world. Any Third-world medical system is better than anything Kaiser has to offer. Try an 8-month wait for a simple colonoscopy. How about KP's policy of NOT TREATING PRECANCEROUS CONDITIONS UNTIL THEY ARE FULL-ON CANCER. Simple things take forever. You will be treated like cattle. Try 45-minutes just to get signed in to see a doctor that has less than 10 minutes to see you before he has to move onto the next patient. Truly third-world medicine is much, much better than Kaiser Permanente.

Think about it: Every doctor at KP is over-worked and very much underpaid. They attract the worst of the worst physicians. They attract physicians that cannot make it as a doctor in a standard medical practice. You will run into incompetence at every department you go into. YOU ARE AN ABSOLUTELY FOOLISH IF YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT TAKING OUT KAISER PERMANENTE INSURANCE. Don't do it. You will be sorry!!! Contact me directly. I will give you more information about the horrible medical practices that go on at KP. I will tell you exactly what they have done to me and my family.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaiser Permanente?

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I have been a member for many years and had even asked prior employers to offer it so I could stay with them. HOWEVER they have really grown and do not care about patients in general. My doctor died and they assigned me to someone - it has been impossible to change. I am paying for non-existing care. I have had nausea and vomiting for over a month. They misdiagnosed vertigo. Then I was told, "No. That isn’t what this is." What is it? No idea and the doctor I am assigned to is on a 2-week vacation. Good luck getting help. I am taking anti-nausea pills around the clock. They won’t give me the patch again. I have never had anything like this. It is like a horrible nightmare. I am just trying to work every day since I am self-supporting. I don’t know how long I will last this way. It is wearing me down physically but most importantly psychologically.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

We've had Kaiser Permanente insurance for 3 years. Our son was born last year, but other than that we are relatively healthy. We've had a very positive experience with KP during that time. We love our doctors and pediatrician. It's extremely convenient to talk to an on-call nurse, and we can almost always get same-day appointments in urgent care when we have a problem. The system is very convenient -- everything under one roof. You can get referrals and see a specialist on the same visit! (And pick up your medicine in the pharmacy.) And we can e-mail our pediatrician anytime and get responses in under 24 hours; great for unexplained rashes or fevers. We loved pre-natal classes as well. My only complaints are -- expensive (but everything is expensive), and the website is a little clunky and can be tricky to figure out. (But the website is also great because it has all your records stored there.)

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I have been trying to get the correct plan information for Medicare Senior Advantage new sign up. I have had to request a mail packet five times. It has taken 20 days to receive. I was finally sent only the 2018 packet when it came and will only have this plan for two months - a prudent mailing would have included 2019 plan also. I then signed up for a plan by mistake that doesn't include part D but it should not have been offered for my county but Kaiser has an error with my zip code relative to county and actual location. When I called to change from the mistake plan I did so by phone - the representative had to read ABSOLUTELY every word on every page and was unable to transfer information once provided as each line item was being recorded... over an hour on the phone. I provided my email and have not received any confirmation since the call two days ago.

The contact numbers are also frustrating as the ** number if you are not a member sends you to 888-901-4600. When they answer they send you back to **. My phone representative mentioned above who asked for my email and name multiple times (as she could not transfer due to recording) gave me her number **. I just called it today and could not get the phone tree to connect to her. First it hung up on me and the second time I was told I had the California office and had to contact the Washington office at 206-901-4636 - they are closed. I just want to get signed up for the Harbor Plan and I want to know it is in the "works". I don't want to spend more days and hours on the phone and waiting for mail that never comes. I have to hope that this process will not be an indicator of how Premera will provide my medical care.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I’ve been trying to have my daughter’s medical claims paid by Kaiser for over 4 months now. It’s a long story but I have a unique situation. I called member services as soon as I received her nursery charges from the hospital and was told for 2 months by multiple reps/managers that her charges weren’t covered. I literally read them verbatim from the 2018 summary of benefits from OPM’s website (it's a federal health care plan) that all routine nursery charges are covered. I was finally told by someone to submit an appeal (never was mentioned this before) and was contacted by the appeals department in Rockville that her charges are covered, she needed to pre-enroll my daughter, and would request the claims be submitted to Kaiser from the hospital.

I follow up a month later since my POC at the appeals department said it could take a few weeks for processing, only to learn they were never received from the hospital! This lady never followed up with GBMC when she didn't receive them, and didn't even request ALL of the claims to be submitted to them (hospital/physician). These people are rude, have no care for their customers, never respond to emails, and are a complete nightmare to work with. Incompetent is the only way I know how to describe the people they hire... And I am still fighting this with them.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

This is the most uncaring experience I have ever had. After waiting for months for this appointment and after driving for 1.5 hours, the nurse for Dr. ** would not allow me to be seen. I was 20 minutes late but could not reach them because they don’t answer phones in the building until 30 minutes after their first appointment. Despite begging to be seen, this nurse cruelly told the clerk to not schedule me for today. Unprofessional is the kindest thing I can call her. Vindictive more aptly describes this person. Perhaps, it was her first day, and she is unaware that customer satisfaction is a real thing. NCQA will hear of my member services complaint filed against her requesting empathy training. Kaiser is not the place for her.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I am trying to do better with my life after dealing with 6 car accidents and losing 6 relatives in 4 years. I am trying to build up my strength so that mile I have to walk at the prison where I work isn't so bad. The psychiatrist and last doctor I saw agree with my plan. The doctor I saw today totally disregards my pain physical and emotional. I see inmates in prison get better treatment and this what I pay for. I feel like I am going to be going ** again at this rate. I can't take this no more.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Kaiser misdiagnosed three times. They lie. Customer service sucks. Doctors do not know what they are doing. Hope Kaiser gets shut down. Going to sue them in court. Hope they get what the deserve and get shut down by Medicare.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Customer service is lacking in the billing and medical records departments. If I could give zero stars I would. The yearly physical was a joke compared to other doctors I have gone to. Did not even check blood pressure. Five minute chat and a great big bill.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I started attempting to physically transition several years ago, but when I called Kaiser over four times I was told by the service member that they did not do hormone therapy at Kaiser. It wasn’t until much later when I met another transgender individual that I found out I had been lied to. After being on the phone for over two hours, I finally had an appointment with my new primary care doctor. However, this doctor had no idea about any kind of transgender healthcare despite the fact that that was what I specifically asked for with the servicemember.

After a significantly long time at figuring out what we needed to do I was finally referred to a behavioral health office. After having to make this appointment because I did not get a call despite my referral, I thought my troubles were over. However, this doctor had no idea about any kind of transgender health care despite the fact that that was what I specifically asked for with the servicemember. After a significantly long time at figuring out what we needed to do I was finally referred to a behavioral health office.

After having to make this appointment because I did not get a call despite my referral, I thought my troubles were over. The therapist that reviewed me was very kind and said they would refer me to an endocrinologist to start my hormone therapy. However, this did not happen. I have spent so much time on multiple phone calls attempting to try and get my referral to the endocrinologist but no one is helping me and I simply am going in circles. The communication at Kaiser is ridiculous. It is confusing and no one wants to help you. I don’t know if this is due to transphobia or simply a bad Kaiser system.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Don't choose Kaiser...unless you have zero medical concerns. I've had knee problems for a while, so they sent me to PT. Great, except the PT didn't help, even after I followed their exercises daily for 2 months. When I asked for next steps, doctor said to try a steroid shot. I didn't want to do that because of negative side effects. I asked, "Is there an alternative?" The doctor's response: "PT." When I pointed out that it hasn't helped and asked is there something else to try, the doctor said: "No."

That's Kaiser's policy in a nutshell: No to helping, no to providing guidance, no to thinking. They want you to Thrive because they certainly don't want to take care of you. Their doctors should be replaced by bots because they have to follow generic, scripted, computer-generated protocols anyway. This has been my experience across multiple departments at Kaiser. The only reason I've had them is because they are the only affordable insurance option for me, and I hope that they are better than nothing in a dire emergency (but based on my experience, I'm not sure if that's true).

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

At first I thought Kaiser was great! Everything under one roof, blood work, x-ray, doctor, Pharmacy etc... Yeah, that's great and all but if you can't see your Dr when needed what is the point of having a Dr. Today I hurt my back and I mean hurt!!! I couldn’t even walk, couldn't put weight on my legs, they would just collapse, couldn't stand up straight, had to crawl and they said they could get me in in a WEEK. A week, really! Or I could go to Kaiser er she said, Kaiser doesn’t even have an er in Stockton, you have to go to another hospital. A few months ago I had kidney stones and went to another hospital associated with Kaiser and got prescribed medication there that I was allergic to. My face was swollen and my eyes were swollen shut.

I contacted my Drs fill in through email and she suggested I should POSSIBLY see someone. Really, possibly, no apt, nothing! When I called the other hospital he changed the meds right away without being seen and said stop using it right away and that my airway could have closed off. Also I was sent to a dermatologist who misdiagnosed me. I handed over my money just for them to tell me I have something that I don’t and not treat what I did have, which was obvious. The list goes on and on...

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

This medical facility Kaiser Permanente is about as weird crazy non-caring worst Healthcare negligent delayed diagnosis medical facility I've ever experienced in my life. I won't even go into my detail. It's too long of a story and it would take way too long to say, type, read, etc. Portland Oregon Clackamas in particular has no doctors that help people at all. I have had an acute issue on top of my chronic problems and they have yet to see me after 14 months in regards to that they have not even scheduled a surgery for it. They put all kinds of stipulations on you in order to get your health care and if you can't get into those stipulations you can't abide by the rules they send you to a psychiatrist opiate addiction counselor or smoking counselor a weight-loss counselor.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

It's amazing to me that Kaiser can come back with their debt collectors (Rawlings Company LLC) more than a year from when a claim occurred and they only give insureds a short timeframe to dispute charges. From the time the police called and told us she was a passenger in an accident, we contacted Kaiser on our way to the hospital where she was taken. They KNEW where she was and the circumstances involved (this happened 03/30/17). We received a letter 09/17/18 that we owe Kaiser a dollar amount that will take us about 4 years to pay. Oh, and, we issued a complaint with the State's Attorney's office regarding another issue and out of the blue, Rawlings Company LLC sends the letter I referred to above. Kaiser is the least expensive plan being offered - it isn't the same as it was years ago.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

My daughter was injured in an accident while away at school which is approximately 200 miles away from home. Due to this accident, she experienced issues with her knee and ankle. Kaiser refuses to give her a referral to see a doctor near the school. They rejected the request. My daughter is suffering from these issues and Kaiser, a cruel, ruthless and evil organization, refuses to help my daughter. So now we have to make a trip to bring her home to see her doctor to get a referral which means it could be another 2 to 3 weeks before she will be able to see an orthopedic doctor. How cruel can an organization be? They don’t care about your health. It is all about their processes and no flexibility. Kaiser is fake. They don’t care about you. It is all about money.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Waste time running to appointments, paying co-pays, needing pain meds - not getting any prescriptions! Still in pain - BUT have MRI results with a torn meniscus with swelling! Really - home exercises! In excruciating pain and waited a month for an appointment just to be seen be a PA - not the Orthopedic Surgeon! Co-pay after co-pay! This is really a scam!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I have been a member of this service because the union is the only service that offers us and it really makes fun of people for more than a year that I have been telling my doctor about a treatment and the truth is that they only deliberate the coas for another side saying I do not have anything. That is fine and the truth I took the medicines of pain and now I do not know what to do since again I have to weigh the treatment again mind and not know what to do now with this injustice.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

My family had KP in the past around 15-10 years ago. I started w/KP again this year w/my employer. Today, my step-father received a letter from KP of a "professional bill summary." This letter was addressed to him and w/information of MY services stating that I owe KP. My step-father does not use KP and has not had KP as an insurance for 10 years. Why is he receiving a letter w/my personal information? Lastly, I have checked the estimate generator if I owed anything to KP, I do not owe anything. I filed a grievance immediately. I called member services twice; during the first call the rep asked me to hold and after 16 mins of holding the call disconnected. KP completely bungled this whole situation.

Resolution response: Sept. 27, 2018

I was able to speak with someone at length today who was helpful and who will be following through. So hoping for the best and grateful for the help today.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I have been a member of Kaiser since 1990 and have always raved about the many good aspects of their care. But now I could write a book on how Kaiser Dental had mistreated me, not once apologizing for mishandling a situation that caused me great suffering. However, to even repeat that experience in detail would only re-traumatize me. I will simply mention my recent attempt to obtain a refund for overpayment. I talked with countless people, sent letters, was transferred numerous departments and had my bank send documentation.

When calls that were accidentally lost (after repeating my story to countless people)- I got no callback, no one cared to follow through. I get sent the same letter telling me what to do- when they did not even read the letter I sent to them explaining I had already taken those steps and nothing has been done yet. This is the worst I have ever been treated by any business- my assumption is they don't want my business or they would invest in HUMAN BEINGS (as they once did) who would take the time to resolve your matter. Terrible service as opaque as it can be - no transparency here. Buyer beware.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

My husband had had Kaiser for years, but I have always had PPO, and he said his insurance was "fine". It was not until got onto mine that he realized the extremely poor Kaiser really was. With Kaiser you can only see you own primary doctor, which was not necessarily a bad thing, however, when you have to wait months just to see the doctor it becomes an issue. One time he was in so much pain due to a soccer injury, it was "off" hours, so they told us to go to another hospital that is approved, upon getting there we were told that they were closed and that we could not be seen. We were then referred to another hospital for ER. We went there and was not told by Kaiser or the hospital that the insurance would not cover the expenses and it cost us $4000.

After moving to my PPO, my husband was astonished to find out that all you have to do is call and you can get seen the same day more often than not. Which was not available with Kaiser. The service was so bad with them that he just avoided going whenever he was sick because it was such a hassle. My experience with Kaiser was not too dissimilar, hard to be seen, slow or delayed surgery times, poor or incorrect information from customer service. It is amazing to me that a company as large as Kaiser could be so incredibly bad, that they are as bad as some of the government offices that really only care about getting through the day for a paycheck. Kaiser should close its doors or fire all their executives with people that actually can do healthcare right.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I received a letter from Kaiser one day that they had terminated my health insurance because I had a balance passed due of... 1 cent! Yes, no kidding, $0.01. When I tried to understand why I wasn't notified about this "debt" it turned out that Kaiser has sent me notification... to an old e-mail address that I was not using for months. I had updated the e-mail address in my profile on Kaiser's web site months ago but they kept sending messages to the old address. And every department I call at Kaiser give me the same robotic answer of reading me the policy that they can cancel my coverage if there is a balance due for more than 3 months. No one there seems to care that they made a mistake and the balance past due is a freakin' 1 cent!!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

It's cheap, but you get what you pay for. And that's very little. Every time I really need a doctor I can't get an appointment. I'm usually healthy, but when I'm not I'd like to be able to see a doctor. This is apparently too much to ask of Kaiser. They have no problem taking my money every month, but big problems whenever I need anything from them.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I had surgery on the 15th of last month, and immediately after, I filed a request for my medical records for that day as no one was telling me all that went on other than 'Here are some pills, go home'. This is not the first time I have been refused my records either. I had the same issue getting my records last year, as well as my sons records. Oh don't get me started on my son’s records. Those took me SIX MONTHS of arguing and threatening to get his records. He is a member of Kaiser as well, so there is no reason why those would be restricted to me.

Is it not against the law to refuse records? I pay this company to help me stay healthy, and they turn around and refuse a copy of what I paid for. Don't get me started on their treatment of me for the actual surgery and after care, that is a whole different reported issue. For the past four days, member services has told me "we will have someone call you tomorrow to get this taken care of" only for no one to call. If I call in myself, no one can be found who can help me. This is horrible treatment, and I will keep reporting and demanding my information wherever I can for it to be done.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Kaiser Flu Clinics do not open until late September. I am leaving for Alaska on 9/13/18. Kaiser will not provide my needed flu shot prior to 9/13/18 nor will they pay for one provided by Walmart, Safeway, Walgreens, CVS, etc. What happens if I come down with the flu in Alaska? Will Kaiser pay for my treatment? I think not. Kaiser is not into medical care. They are into making money and screwing people on Medicare (Medicare Fraud???). How disgusting.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I have been seeking treatment for hip pain since January. I was told by an outside physician I needed a double hip replacement. Kaiser of Tacoma has 1 surgeon and NO appointments or openings for surgery until at least December. I found a physician outside their network that had time and space to treat me. I pay for insurance and expect to get the care I need WHEN I need it - not be left to suffer more pain and possibly lose my job because they cannot hire enough physicians. What's the point of having insurance if they won't give you the care you need? Disgusting money grabbing pigs.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

The so called radiologist RO, Kyung ** told me wrongful information and misguided me, totally abused my trust in a physician. She intimidated me and made me believing that I was at the risk of cancer when she knew it’s just microcalcification. RO Kyung ** tricked me into taking biopsy procedure, which is very painful and costly. RO, Kyung ** is not qualified to be a doctor, the worst physician I have encountered.

Kaiser Permanente expert review by Joseph Burns

Kaiser Permanente is a unique health care management program that is located mainly in the western United States. In California, Colorado and seven other states, patients who have Kaiser coverage get health care services, including hospital stays, at Kaiser health facilities.

• Offers low-cost health plans: Kaiser offers several different levels of service with varying premiums, deductibles and co-pays.

• Kaiser offers all services itself: This company provides health care services as well as health care coverage, making it easier to get needed services and file claims.

• Online application process: It’s easy to get a quote and sign up for Kaiser.

• Best for: Students, employees, heads of families

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Kaiser Permanente Insurance Company Information