Kaiser Permanente Insurance
  • 1 star
Based on 120 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Kaiser Permanente Insurance

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 13, 2017

768 Kaiser Permanente Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

We signed up for Group Health last year and they switched to Kaiser Permanente. We rarely use our insurance and the 1 time we needed to go in because my husband had impacted earwax we looked up where we could go that was covered by Kaiser. We found that the care clinics at Bartell Drugs are Kaiser doctors and accept Kaiser insurance. We went in there and the doctor was quick. Removed the ear wax. We paid our co pay and were told the rest should be covered. 2 weeks or so later we get a bill in the mail and they charged us 165 dollars for ear wax removal. When I called and talked to them I asked how much the same service at the clinic would be without insurance and they told me 75.

Why is Kaiser charging their members more for services than they would someone who has no insurance at all? When I asked the representative she said because we have insurance once our deductible is met they cover everything. Uh yeah I get that. Still does not justify Kaiser charging their members more and as I pressed her on it she said she didn't know why. So I asked for someone who could answer my question and she told me she didn't know anyone who could. Definitely switched insurance the next day. Thank god the open season was still open. Will never go back to Kaiser.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I've been with the Kaiser Permanente Senior Advantage Plan in Georgia for a few years and am very happy with the staff and services. I have found KP to be very efficient in reminding me about appointments, following up with information after every appointment, and keeping on-time with the appointment schedule. Physicians have all been board certified and knowledgeable with good bedside manner and responsive via email. For procedures requiring anesthesiology, a team from Emory is under contract. Co-pays are reasonable and coverage is excellent. Yes, there have been a few glitches, but aren't there always? I would highly recommend KP in Georgia for the Senior Advantage Plan.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I paid insurance premium (deducted from my paycheck). Kaiser kept the premium but stopped my insurance coverage three weeks early. My understanding is that Kaiser can't keep the premium without providing service. I filed a grievance for two times for the premium refund but the request was denied all times. It is very ridiculous that Kaiser keeps saying to provide a quality healthcare services without actual service but keeps the money.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Amidst a major depressive episode with massive suicidal ideation appointments with my therapist were available at 90+ and 100+ days out. Fantastic therapist, no flippin' access. Two other family members with the same complaint and experience. We pay huge amounts for almost Cadillac healthcare that's currently engineered as unavailable. This is on top of the hour commute (bus-line free) each way to get to them since they like to centralize everything.

Two other KM facilities - one a full clinic and the other a large medical center including Urgent Care are far, far closer but inconveniencing more people while serving the least seems to be the M.O. Can't say enough good things about the actual therapist; but her employer sucks monkey butts at what it takes to actually yield any kind of positive outcome here. Research indicates/recommends weekly and biweekly therapy for folks in non-functioning chronic depressive episodes. Wondering how this standard of care would look to a national board...

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Had a very disappointing day. Was sick for last 10 days with cough and cold and called Kaiser to inquire on the bill they sent me. Kaiser let me use a Chinese translator to communicate. For some reason, the translator was not translating properly and when I said the translator is not explaining correct, he said ** and hung up on me... What a shame Kaiser!!! I don’t know how Kaiser is deploying these guys as translators!? When already the patients like me are suffering and calling for help, these guys are intensifying our worries. I can’t do any work and now I can’t even sleep thinking about this hurtful incident. Need to take counseling for me to get back to normalcy. Hope no other Kaiser member and other patients goes through this pain.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaiser Permanente?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

My mother and I arrived for a routine appointment at Kaiser's Sunset clinic. I was running a little late so I went ahead into their clinic for my appointment while my mother locked up the car walked around to the passenger side door to put up our handicap sign. Just as I was checking in over their intercom was a code red of someone in the parking lot, I had a weird feeling it might be my mother and to my shock and horror I saw my mother face down on the ground next to our vehicle as soon as I got there, there were approximately 10 to 12 Kaiser employees and one PCP internist Catherine ** all standing around and offering no assistance at all. I then witness one of their employees forcibly yanking and pulling on my mother to get her to stand up while she was screaming in agony begging them to stop.

I at the same time was yelling at them to stop this and repeatedly stated to them, "You never move an injured person like that at all." Then the employee near my mother started again forcing her up while I'm yelling at her, "Stop this. You're hurting my mother." I then noticed just to my right Catherine ** PCP internist was motioning for her employee to do this, I demanded to get her name and she refused to tell me, I then demanded why nobody was offering any kind of assistance to her except making her situation worse, after repeating this a few times I was then told this quote- She is a liability, Not our concern, and was someone else's problem. "This is our policy like it or not." Unquote. I couldn't believe how absolutely cruel these people were considering she slipped on wet leaves and pavement, in a handicap parking spot no more than 30 yards away from the clinic's entrance.

Approximately 20 minutes went by and I then found out no one called emergency out of all things I demanded for this to be done and finally one of their employee's called. Thank GOD the ambulance was just across the street getting coffee and they were there in less than a minute. As the emergency crew was approaching I turned to inform them of what had just happened and to my shock and horror Kaiser employees had quickly forced my mother into standing up while she was screaming in pain. The emergency crew immediately took charge and rendered emergency assistance to her. In the ambulance they were absolutely disgusted on how my mother was mistreated by these Kaiser employees. We arrived at Westside hospital just next door to their Sunset clinic and went in.

Then adding more to this situation none of the medical staff were checking her over for injuries which she had such as swollen and bruised knees, bruising all over her left side and back, bruised and swollen hands, bruised and swollen feet, along with several cuts and abrasions all over. I had to insist on them to give the basic medical attention while they refused several times until they finally checked her left arm and literally nothing else. She had a fractured Humerus bone in the left arm, severely sprained right foot and she still had other injuries they would not check.

The doctor refused to prescribe pain meds even though her pain level was 9+ gave her a flimsy cloth sling instead of putting a cast on her arm, hurried her out like they couldn't wait to get rid of her and sent to home only to have her condition worsen that night and had to be taken by an ambulance back to the Westside hospital again to be treated for her injuries and yet again they placed an Ill fitting orthopedic sling on her arm instead of a cast, the doctor did prescribe pain meds this time but the overall treatment of her was still poor.

For me personally witnessing how my mother WAS mistreated when she fell and injured herself through no fault of her own, in a handicap spot on their property no more than 30 yards from the clinic's entrance, offered no medical assistance but still forcing my mother up in pain and against her will while telling me she is a liability, not their concern,and someone else's problem and the overall mistreatment of her I can't believe how heartless and cruel Kaiser's so-called medical staff was to my mother and my only hope is that others don't get mistreated like this...

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Kaiser says you can make appointments online & that is true. They will still call rather than email (in their email system). No matter how many times I beg them to use their email system, they still insist on calling. I don't usually answer because of my own auditory processing challenges. I haven't given up & turned to the system for the deaf, since I'm not actually deaf. I wish Kaiser would honor their online system, especially for people who really need it. My dentist office uses email for everything for me!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Kaiser is the worst possible place to be treated for pain! I fell and hurt my back and spine. As a result I could not sleep because of the pain. I went in and was looked at and x-rayed and was given no pain medicine besides otc. Kaiser must have malpractice lawsuits all the time. Do not use Kaiser if you need specialty services.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I acquired Kaiser through Obama Care for 2017. Paid my premiums and my coverage was terminated for nonpayment. So they have basically stolen my money and cancelled my insurance. A coworker who had the same insurance and is ** was terminated as well and her given reason was they needed proof she was an American citizen!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

These people will lie straight to your face, refuse to treat you, refuse to refer you to a specialist, bully you, slander you, CAUSE your mental and physical health to decline, laugh at you WHILE you're having a seizure in THEIR ER, stalk you on social media and accuse YOU of insurance fraud, read and alter YOUR medical records without your consent or knowledge and destroy you and your reputation!!! If you want to be treated like a human being and save YOUR health? Stay far far away from these PEOPLE!! Thank God I have recorded every conversation with these people, collected my medical records and NEVER went to an appointment alone!!! ALL of these things have happened to me and I'm warning ALL of YOU before this ** happens to YOU.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I was insured by Kaiser through my spouse's employer. Other than being very expensive, they have horrible communication (doctor/patient). I went to the dermatologist to have my skin tested for skin cancer. The doctor removed curious moles and sent them to the lab for screening. I was under the impression I would receive a call within two weeks with the results. I did not hear from the doctor's office with any results. When I eventually called wanting answers, I was told that "they forgot." Thankfully the results were negative once I finally heard back from them.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

The main thing I like about Kaiser Permanente Insurance is that all the services are under one roof. For Blood test, X ray it is all in house. One don't have to go around. Doctor's are good.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I am very lucky to have the kind of medical insurance to be able to pick what plan I want to be on. I have been going to Kaiser since I was eight years old so that's all I have really ever known and when it came time for me to pick on my own I just continued along with it even after they made some poor medical decisions and mistakes. My father and I have both been victims of Kaiser at one time or another. They have brought both of us pretty close to death by their actions, not listened to us when we knew more about our bodies than them and caused some terrible reactions. I have a permanently nonfunctioning finger because of an ER doctor not taking X-rays and only doing a halfway job.

Every time my father has to go into the hospital for something, he is 94 and disabled, he goes from a controlled by diet non-insulin diabetic to them shooting him with insulin to control his blood sugar because they won't listen to him or me about his proper diet to maintain his health. I have over the years ran into some doctors there that I know immediately don't know what they are talking about when they make certain diagnosis about something I have. I looked up my latest doctor after I started questioning her competence when she prescribed a medication that was completely wrong for me because of my other medications, allergies, and heart disease.

I looked her up and then some of the other ones I had seen, they were all nothings. None had any published works, had any specialized medical interest or field. There were no special commendations or top of the class, no further education, nothing. I realized that they just went through medical school to get a job that pays well. After I had an emergency and wound up in the ER, desperately dehydrated from having a bad case of the flu they pumped me with way too much fluid and gave me Congestive Heart Failure, I began to realize that they were going to kill me if I kept going there. I was too weak and ill for quite a while to do anything about it though. I stayed on, broke my toe badly, my doctor couldn't see it in the X-rays so I suffered for a week before she finally showed the X-rays to a specialist who immediately saw the break.

That's another thing about Kaiser, all the doctors make you wait too long before they will let you go see a specialist. They only give you 15 minutes of their time too, I hate both of those restrictions and I know it has to be Kaiser's policies. It was this last time with what happened that finally convinced me to get out now. My father stopped a year ago, my mother still thinks they walk on water. I was having trouble with my heart, not breathing right, ankles and feet swelling too much and not reducing at all overnight, so I went in for blood tests. I was due anyhow for the full round of tests, I have to do it once a year for my heart. No big deal. I was scheduled for surgery on my right hand a little more than a month away for arthritis so it was a good idea to get everything checked out. All the tests came back looking normal to me, my doctor's nurse called and said my heart was fine, but they hadn't gotten all the results in yet.

Because of my arthritis, which I also have in my back, I have been taking pain pills for years. Kaiser started a new round of policies for anyone who had a prescription for opioids, which to me seem stupid, but I am not an addict. For some reason my body flushes out opioids quickly and she had been testing my usage as one of Kaiser's new policies to make sure I wasn't selling them. They weren't showing up in my system like they should, but she had been aware of this for quite some time. I even brought in my pills each time to prove the amounts taken at the time of the month tests were taken. This time was no different and that was the test they were waiting on, which was strange, it doesn't take any longer than the others.

I finally got a call from my doctor’s nurse of the day and she tells me what to me is the normal reading, no drugs, and that my doctor is very disappointed in me. I was surprised, she knew about that. I was accused of selling my opioids and my surgeon cancelled my surgery. I have to go through drug testing for 3 months and now test, get this, clean each time, before I can have my surgery. I can't have any narcotics for my pain because I broke my contract and my doctor of more than 5 years dropped me. I still can't believe this, it is absolutely ridiculous. Tried and convicted without even being present, no jury, to me no proof.

I told them to lock me in a room and monitor me and they could administer the drugs and test me. I still have half of the prescription left since two months ago. I think what made me the angriest was, whatever happened to doctor patient confidentiality? There is none at Kaiser. Every email I write to my doctor can be read by any doctor who feels like it. Any of my tests can be read by any doctor who wants to check it. I no longer trust a single doctor in the Kaiser system and will be changing plans as soon as open hits next month.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Kaiser is OK if you have something minor like a sore throat, or hard wax in your ears but they cannot handle anything more serious. I think doctors who cannot get a job anywhere else go to Kaiser. I was scratching my scalp and both ears so hard that they bled. Went to Kaiser, doctor told me I had a fungus. Gave me cream for athlete's foot! Even I know that a fungus only grows in dark, warm, moist conditions. My ears and scalp are warm but NOT dark and moist. I thought I might have psoriasis. Went to a dermatologist outside Kaiser and within two minutes he said "You have PSORIASIS!" I have no medical training but even I knew I DID NOT have a fungus. I'm leaving Kaiser in January!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I was using Sharp for the last couple of years. I recently switched to Kaiser & the PCP I was assigned to flat out denied something that was granted to me by my former PCP. To further top everything off, I injured my finger the same day I was supposed to see a specialist & they refused to treat the finger stating that I wasn't sent there for that. So then, what are you good for? I needed a splint & couldn't get one. Kaiser also made me wait over an hour just to cancel my 'walk-in' x-ray on the same finger. I pay more out of pocket for lesser service. Very dissatisfied.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

DO NOT GO HERE! Kaiser severely injured me during surgery and did everything to cover it up. They abandoned my care, told me the nerve damage was all in my head, and left me to suffer. It has been 2 years and I am still in so much pain sitting, standing, and walking. In my medical records, they refused to connect my nerve damage to my operation and always wrote that I was not in pain or in any kind of distress. The doctors and physical therapist lied, altered my records, attacked my personal character, and told me my pain was all in my head. I was left in severe pain and received no real treatment from Kaiser.

When I finally got out of that Kaiser HELL, my doctors requested records from Kaiser and they sent them stating that I was perfectly healthy, never mentioned the nerve damage, and any pain was in my head. Kaiser harmed me again by refusing to send accurate records to other doctors; thus, I could not get properly treated. I have been in severe pain for 2 years, cannot work, am devastated, and my life is over. Kaiser is a deceitful, corrupt business, erases medical errors, and doesn't care if they hurt, maim, or kill you. It's all about the money.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I have experience poor care with every MD or DO I have had contact with at KP. Presently I have an infection in my foot that KP has been treating for over a week now with no improvement. KP does the minimum response to any ailment. If, in this case an oral antibiotic, doesn't work, well let's try a different one, which hasn't worked. My discomfort and inability to do normal tasks is not a concern. I have consulted a physician outside the KP network who feels that an IV antibiotic is needed. Already I have spent three doctor copays on this problem with zero benefit. Tomorrow will add a fourth. I am leaving KP Dec.1, 2017 before they do me any further harm.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Fell and hurt my hip. Was taken to Kaiser Anaheim for treatment. I have a severe reaction to **. It was all over my chart and my family reinforced the reaction history to the doctors and nurses, they even hung a sign over the bed. When my family left to go eat I was given **. I had a horrible reaction to it. When I figured out what happened I tried to call my husband. The nurse took the phone out of the room, grabbed my arm and shoved a pill in my mouth. When I spit it out she shoved it back down my throat then gave more IV drugs. They wouldn't let my family come in to my room. I woke up the next morning in a locked nursing home and my family had no idea where I was. I didn't know where I was. When my head cleared and the nursing home doctor saw me, the nursing home called my husband and sent me home. I am a nurse. If this happened to me, what are they doing to people who have no one?! This happened in 2010.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I have had coughing for 15 months. Kaiser's doctors kept prescribing ** even I tested negative for allergies. I did not show any issues with sinus and lung CAT-scans, Kaiser ENT told me that I had not any sinus problem as per CAT-scan but if I wanted he could prescribe a high dose antibiotic. Of course I declined. In desperation, I went to an ENT doctor outside Kaiser paying out of pocket. After a test; he diagnosed silent acid reflux. I am dealing with it and Kaiser now. DO NOT ENROLL IN KAISER PERMANENTE!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I have a couple fractured ribs on my left side (from when I was 10) and minor scoliosis. I was in pain and went to the Kaiser ER. It hurt to move and the pressure was immense. They got me to the back and into a chair. The ER doctor came in and asked me why I was there. I explained to him that I had shooting pain in my ribs and it hurt to move. He sent me off to x-ray and 10-15 minutes after I came back he came in, said that it's just a spasm and I would be fine to go home.

I urged that it didn't feel like just a spasm. He said he could give me a ** shot. I explained to him I took an anti-inflammatory prior to my arrival so I declined. I asked if it could be due to my scoliosis in which he responded, "having scoliosis doesn't cause pain." I left the ER in tears. Felt uncared for and unheard. Turns out my ribs refractured and that's why I was in immense pain. Also I still have yet to find out why I have an edema. I'm only 28. No tests done to see why. Kaiser needs to pay more attention to their patients instead of a treating us as a herd of cattle.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Dr. Beverly ** (Manor Care, Arlington) forced the release of my Mom while she had a pulmonary embolism and pneumonia - both acquired while at Manor Care. She is a horrible human being. And now, Dr. ** is forcing the release of my Mom from Potomac Falls Health and Rehabilitation Center with a gaping leg wound that was acquired due to a botched cardiac catheterization surgery that Kaiser performed. No one is able to be with my Mother during the day and the wound needs skilled nursing care. They don't want to pay for her rehabilitation until the wound heals, so they have modified the protocol on changing the seeping wound dressing from 2 to 3 times per day to 2 to 3 times per week in order to claim that "skilled nursing" isn't needed. This is contrary to advice provided by other doctors at Kaiser.

Due to the nature of the wound they created, and the lack of a sufficiently sterile environment to bring her back to, the unavoidable outcome will be that she will acquire an infection, and due to her age will not be able to sufficiently fight it and will die. Would be great if we could fight this - but our family has no money so we are at the mercy of an uncaring medical company like Kaiser Permanente. I am posting this review as I want everyone to know about the heinous practice of Kaiser Permanente to not take responsibility of their mistakes and not properly care for the elderly.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I have fibromyalgia, Sciatica pain in my right leg, pelvic area, and lower back. I recently had to go to the ER and that is when I learned that my Sciatica pain problems have flared up again but this time it has spread and is causing severe pain. I have done every single thing Kaiser has told me to do to help myself with my Fibromyalgia. But since my Sciatica pain is so severe that I finally had enough of dealing with everyday pain, numbness down my right leg, I cant bare weight on my right leg along with shooting pain that go all the way to my toes. My ** is great! She referred me to Pain management where at first I had a great doctor. He started with ** injections first on the right side then bilateral in my lower back areas. Sadly this didnt help with the pain and everything else I feel in this area.

I go to email my doctor but he is no longer with Kaiser so now I'm dealing with a ** of a doctor who will only do phone appointments and not office visits. This is where I finally had enough of KAISER!! This doctor Dr. ** that works in Stockton doesnt seem to care that I was seen in the ER for severe pain for my Sciatica problems that have now spread and have caused me to walk around like I'm 80 years old and I'm 40! I have an MRI scheduled but this same doctor stated to me over the phone that he will see me in 3 to 4 weeks after the MRI RESULTS come back. I said 3 to 4 weeks!!! So if you do all the things Kaiser tells you to do and you're still left in severe pain they will make it as though you being in pain is nothing to them. I have worked in the medical field almost my whole life and the doctors I've worked for would never expect a patient to wait 3 to 4 weeks before getting any actual help from a doctor.

It doesnt matter if you have to go to the ER because thats how bad my pain was then and still now. My husband's medical insurances only carry 2 Kaiser and a PPO that is too expensive so of course we get stuck with Kaiser. I would think by now Kaiser would do more than waiting for a patient to fall apart instead of helping them to have the pain you see control somewhat. 5 years I've been patient with all the things Kaiser tells me to do and I have done them all 3 times over. Why is it that when a patient needs help the most that Kaiser is only interested in saving and protecting their money than to try to help their patients!! I'm not the only one that feels this way. There are so many people that are stuck with Kaiser and do all they are suppose to and then get slapped in the face when you need medical attention the most!!

It's time I look into seeing a lawyer. My husband is over at Kaiser right now in the business office filing a complaint to start this process... So please be careful with Kaiser if you end up costing Kaiser money because they choose to ignore the underlying medical problem and left me to suffer! Kaiser isnt worth all this pain! I wish I would have done the more expensive health insurance. Maybe then I wouldnt have been ignored so severely. And when You do start to take action stay with it because Kaiser has no right to do this to anyone thats their patient!!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I went into the emergency room because I was experiencing rapid heart rate and palpitations. The attending Dr **, Russell M was very rude from the beginning. As a patient I have the right to ask questions and his response to a question was laughter. So when I told him not to laugh at me he told me to get out. He basically kicked me out of the room. I pay hundreds of dollars a month on medical insurance and this is the service I received. This is patient negligence.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

KP billed 32k for an appendectomy and totally disregarded my plan benefits summary. I have the Silver 70 which lists $300 copay for a CT Scan and $350 ER copay that's waived if you're admitted to the hospital... According to my plan I should have paid $300 total for those services but they billed them at nearly 4K! The cherry on top is that I filed a grievance and received a letter saying I had until 9/18/17 to submit documentation then received a denial letter dated 9/16/17... They literally denied my appeal before my window was up!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I had to drive myself to a Kaiser ER due to the fact that I was in agony due to hemorrhoids. I waited over twenty minutes in a hospital cubicle before the male nurse - who looked no older than 17 - took a quick look at me. Then, after another twenty minutes, a doctor came in and spent less than two minutes with me. Another twenty minutes go by, and finally another, female nurse, shows up with my prescription. I am directed to the pharmacy counter. I drive myself home, still in pain. Now, I get the bill - Over $1,200!!! I am already pay a $460 a month! Thieving, lying crooks!!! We need single payer now!!! Put these crooks out of business!!!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I have several health issues. Since I was 4 years old. I had thyroid cancer, TB. During my life I have a learning disability and mild scoliosis and asthma and hormone problems called PMDD. In 2015, I was very fortunate to have a full coverage in Kaiser because of my husband. In 2015 I was having issues of carpal tunnel symptoms. For several months I was complaining they took blood work. Nothing was showing up. I could continue going to urgent care and complaining about my symptoms for 1 year and several months. Into I told them my shoulder was hurting me.

Thank God they take a Xray. It take them 1 year and 9 months... into they found a mass in my right dominant arm and shoulder. It's was chondrosarcoma (bone cancer). Because of my insurance, they were able to do the surgery. Aftermath was a different story after 3 months later. The doctor take me off of medication. Which I still have pain in my arm mostly every day. He suggested over counter **. I continue working even though I will never be able to lift my arm ever again and I can't tell my employer that I have a partial disability which the doctor says and I'm not disabled. I had a Oncology Genetic Test Report which states I have BRCA 1 risk of cancer in the future and now Kaiser OB/GYM disagree with Radiology report about ultrasound and wants me to retest again.

Prolonged the issues with ovaries and uterus. I'm in borderline of get cancer again. I was so disappointed today with my primary doctor. She requested several blood work tests. I asked her, she can add 1 more to my blood work. The doctor denied taking my request saying... "She won't know what to do with test if she gets it back." That made think. Doctor could of suggested a second opinion and request another referral to another doctor. She just said simply said "no. I can't help you." I lost faith in Kaiser Doctor. I'm just a paycheck for them. Physically and mentally it does have a big impact in your life. I simply smile and continue every day to live my life normal as I can regardless what's going on with me. Kaiser doesn't care. Good luck!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Just remember for each bad review on this site there are thousands of HAPPY KAISER MEMBERS who are not taking a moment out of their day to tell you how happy and grateful they are to be Kaiser members! I am one of the happy Kaiser members. Yes in the 20 years I did run into two weird and crazy doctors... both surgeons and both "dismissed discretely" after written complaints from customers helped Kaiser to get rid of them. I have moved from Northern to Southern California and find the positive experience to be in both the north and the south! It is important to know that each individual is in control of their health, who their doctor is and if and when they need a second opinion. I highly recommend Kaiser and would never even consider changing my healthcare after 20 years of highly professional, expedient, knowledgeable and kind care received.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

If this review saves even one person from signing up with Kaiser it will have been worth writing it. You'd be wise to stay away from this corporate nightmare of a place (and this is a corporation, make no mistake about it). The doctors literally work for the insurance company, not for you, and you will see that often. If you need tests done they will try to skirt around it if they possibly can. It will be pulling teeth just to get an MRI, a CAT scan, even just to get certain hormonal levels checked can be a fight. They don't want to order tests unless they have no choice as they are in the business of saving the insurance company money and the Drs. receive bonuses at the end of the year if they do so. If you need a specific medication that Kaiser doesn't carry because it's too expensive you're out of luck, you'll have to go to a private doctor to get your meds.

Also, if you need a referral beware that Kaiser will often make you take a "class" first. Yes, they expect you to take time out of your day to attend an hour long class in order to get your referral (they're banking on you just opting out, saving them more $$$). The worst thing they did that truly made me see them for the crooks they are is when one of the Drs. hit a nerve in my face during an injection (I was getting injections for TMJ/jaw clenching). After the injection I knew something was very wrong. I kept complaining and telling them it affected my speech and my smile. They insisted it would get better, give it time, it may take 10 months to a year to heal back to normal. Well my nerve was completely dead and when I finally paid money out of pocket to go to a private Dr., he said Kaiser really messed up.

By the time I called a lawyer the lawyer told me "You let a year go by, the statute of limitations for suing is 1 year, you missed the window, sorry". So Kaiser knew they messed up, told me to wait a year and it would get better. It doesn't take a genius to put 2 and 2 together and see they just didn't want me to sue, they knew that nerve wasn't coming back. To add insult to injury they won't even treat the problems that my nerve damage is causing, even though THEY caused it! It's been devastating and has affected my entire life.

I was totally screwed over and then treated like dirt afterward. And trying to go after them is a David and Goliath situation, pointless, they hold all the power. Also, their mental health care is famously abysmal. They're always getting sued for not providing adequate care. My sister has severe depression and Kaiser will only do the bare minimum. This place is all about their bottom line, period. I would never ever recommend it and I hope that I've saved someone from the nightmare that I (and my family) have gone through with this place.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I have been on Kaiser for 7 years and actually like my doctor. I find though, consistently, that not only must I be my own advocate. I actually need to research my symptoms online to feel updated. I know most doctors don't like people who overuse the internet to self-diagnose. However, appointments are only 20 minutes, if you are lucky. I feel like I need to be informed to ask questions that are never brought up by the many physicians I've visited. As I said, I do like my PCP, but I often get the "pass the buck" feeling. I'm constantly being referred when it involves something other than a head cold, and that's when the long wait times come into play.

My biggest complaint is the wait time for certain appointments, including referrals/specialists. An ortho/neuro specialist... usually 2-3 months out for an appt. Some procedures... several weeks. Mental Health... up to a FOUR month wait! Are you kidding me? I've found if I complain, insist, even cry, I can get one sooner, but I shouldn't have to do that! Calling on a Monday... almost impossible to get through to anyone. Physical Therapy... usually the next week! Or they give you some papers with the exercises on them and tell you to do them at home, which most won't do. I realize I need to take control of my health, but sometimes Kaiser makes that difficult. They say they're into preventative health, yet they don't offer the cutting-edge treatments/procedures that other facilities do, nor do they offer certain medications I was able to take prior to being on Kaiser.

I'm told it usually has to do with costs. I understand they want to streamline healthcare to cut costs, but my plan has gone up 8% for each of the past 2 years. With these increases, I feel that at least the pharmacies should be open on most holidays. I understand Kaiser employees deserve days off, but even now they seem understaffed in many departments... Other companies either rotate employees on holidays or offer time and a half.

On a final note, I do appreciate that most Kaiser employees are kind and caring, and that I don't have to wait more than 15 or so minutes before seeing the doctor. While Kaiser does offer surveys often, the questions are skewed to things they know in which they are competent. Surveys never ask about phone wait times, or getting into specialists in a timely manner.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

Ok here we go. First I tore my pinky finger tendon playing basketball the second week of August. The finger is stuck forward as if I'm bending it. Now I went to the urgent care office the very next day. After 3 hours, the doctor told me that I have a tendon tear and that I need to follow up with the orthopedic to get a professional opinion due to the nature of my injury. The doctor told me that of course it will take 4 to 6 weeks for this injury to heal. Now they checked to get me a better splint than the Walgreens splint I bought and wrapped myself. She then came back and said that they didn't have a better splint than the one I have on. She also told (me) to make an appointment with orthopedic at the front desk on my way out so I can get a better splint and better opinion. Now I found that a bit strange since usually the doctor puts in that request, but what the heck I gave it a try.

Of the course the females at the counter looked at me strange and said they cannot make appointments for specialty visits. So I went home, waited until the next day around 2:00 pm and called the orthopedic office to make an appointment. The female I spoke with said that the closest appointment she had available was on September 16, 2017, pretty much a whole month away. So I'm telling her that it takes 4 to 6 weeks for my finger to heal, by that time it would have healed in a downward position. She constantly said that's all they could do and that she checked but there aren't any more appointments available until then. I asked her if she checked another location other than the Southwood location and she said she checked. So she sets the appointment a month out. I immediately call member services and got transferred several times until I was hung up on.

I called back and explained the problem again and gave my member number again just for them to tell me there is nothing else that can be done. I then google the corporate number for Kaiser, calls it, and to my surprise the number is to member services. I then tell the lady that I need the number to corporate. She of course said that she needs my member number, date of birth, and the nature of my complaint. I give my info and explain the situation again. She then transfer me to a male in member services who I tell the story to again and give my info to again. He tells me, “Oh your doctor was supposed to make that appointment for you. She is the only one that can request an urgent appointment”, which I already knew that. So now after being on the phone for 50 minutes, he then tells me that they are going to send a message to my doctor for her to request an immediate orthopedic appointment.

He then told me that it takes about 4 hours for the doctor to get the message and respond back to (me) in reference to that request. I waited and waited for 24 hours, yes the next day. I then called them back after 24 hours and spoke with someone who told me that I could try to contact my doctor myself online. Someone then told me that they sent that message to the wrong doctor so they have to send it again. By this time I have a headache and my eye is twitching. I then get transferred to gastroenterology which is the study of the stomach of course. She of course transfer me finally to orthopedic who then schedule me an appointment for the 28th on a Monday morning at 9:00 am all the way in Glenlake. I explained that I live past Conyers, that drive will be pure hell at 9:00 am. She of course said that's the only thing she have. Now I go to bed early the night before so that I can get up early to try to make the appointment.

I left home at 7:15 am and my GPS said that my drive was one hour and forty seven minutes long. God help me. After battling traffic for an hour and 10 minutes my GPS said that I still had an hour and nine minutes left on my route. I called member services again and spoke to Debrah who was able to check and get me an appointment switched to the Southwood location at the same time. Debrah thank god for you so much. You were the only help I had.

Ok back to the story. So I go to the appointment, didn't wait for too long to be seen, thank god. The doctor came in and took off my Walgreens splint that I bought and had on since the injury and told me that of course I have a tendon tear and that I need to keep my finger straight at all times through the healing process. He tells me that they don't have a better splint than the one I had on so I need to keep what I had on if it was comfortable.

I honestly was expecting them to give me an Oval-8 splint or something more effective than the Walgreens splint I had on. He tells me that I can order the Oval splint on Amazon. Now I really thank him for being honest and I don't think it's his fault that they don't have the proper updated medical tools and gadgets. I couldn't believe that I have to order a proper splint myself on Amazon. I used to think highly of Kaiser, I really did. I thought that Kaiser was one of the best. What am I paying insurance and co-payments for if I have to order my own splint. Where is the money going to, the Thrive commercials?

Kaiser Permanente expert review by Joseph Burns

Kaiser Permanente is a unique health care management program that is located mainly in the western United States. In California, Colorado and seven other states, patients who have Kaiser coverage get health care services, including hospital stays, at Kaiser health facilities.

• Offers low-cost health plans: Kaiser offers several different levels of service with varying premiums, deductibles and co-pays.

• Kaiser offers all services itself: This company provides health care services as well as health care coverage, making it easier to get needed services and file claims.

• Online application process: It’s easy to get a quote and sign up for Kaiser.

• Best for: Students, employees, heads of families

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns

Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Kaiser Permanente Insurance Company Information