Kaiser Permanente Insurance

Compare Health Insurance Companies

Research top Health Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I am writing this review concerning my experience at Santa Clara Kaiser. The reason for the review is that, after talking with someone who had to escalate their concerns for lack of treatment for arthritis, I realized that I am not alone in my experience. In 2014, I began to experience increasing pain in my groin, back and knee. I couldn't lift my knee very well and consequently, kept falling. I saw my doctor and received an x-ray. I was told that I had some arthritis and was given anti-inflammatory meds. It didn't help and the pain worsened. In 2015, I fell and the pain increased. I was told by my doctor that I probably had hip bursitis and was sent to an orthopedic doctor. He didn't see me but an assistant came in and gave me a shot that didn't help.

My doctor then recommended a physical therapist. The therapist told me that she felt that it was my back and not my hip. By this time, I could no longer place any weight on my leg. I walked with a limp and my hip joint clicked and made grinding noises when I tried to dress. The therapist recommended that I tried a stationary bike. I told her that the pain of getting my foot into the pedal was too much. I went back to my GP who sent me back to the orthopedic doctor. He told me that he agreed with the therapist that it was my back and I was sent to a back specialist and an MRI was performed. (I did look at the orthopedic "specialist" sideways when he said that he agreed with the therapist. He's the doctor for goodness sakes.)

I went to the back specialist and on two separate occasions, I was given shots into my back area and told that 80 percent of people who have what I have are not in pain. The last time I saw the back specialist he explained that he was only giving me the shot so that the orthopedic doctor would not send me back to him. January 2016 came around and I had just turned 61 and by now I could barely walk from my car into a grocery store. (I used to hike 10 miles at a time and went to the gym 3 times a week..) I had been laid off from my job but couldn't work and so I asked for temp disability and my doctor allowed this while reiterating that 80 percent of people with my issue have no pain.

I changed insurance companies. In March, I found an orthopedic surgeon out of Stanford who had an x-ray machine in his office. Inside of 30 minutes, I was diagnosed with hip dysplasia that he said, I had all of my life, severe arthritis and bone spurs and was given a date for surgery a month later. After a total hip replacement, I now feel so much better and I am so glad that I changed my insurance. The problem is, I had spent so many months compensating for that pain, I now have chronic back pain and arthritis in my other hip.

I am trying to figure out how Kaiser missed symptoms of severe arthritis and hip dysplasia. I can't help but think that they want people like myself to go away. Orthopedic surgery is costly and I am sure that there is a message trickling down from the top to keep those costs down. In other areas of Kaiser, I have received very good care but that was a low point and I could never trust their orthopedic department again.

The staff at Kaiser that I have met have all been nice, competent people. However, Kaiser has created a system that makes it as difficult as possible for the patient to get health care. Yes, it is highly efficient - for the administrators and accountants, but not for the consumer. I was never given any follow-up appointments. No single health care provider seemed to know who I was. Every attempted contact with Kaiser requires dealing with many layers of automated phone prompts and extended waiting. To be told by a machine (each and every time) "your phone call is very important to us" is an insult. If the call were important I would be speaking to a human.

I rarely go to the doctor because I'm pretty healthy. I chose Kaiser because it was the cheapest option and I have never had issues with any healthcare professionals. I thought that with my minimal visits with the doctor and past healthcare experiences it would be the best option but the cheapest option with Kaiser was not worth it. I had doctors rush me out of their office because they were being timed. I was misinformed on charges that I was going to receive. I have a minor rash under my eye that was misdiagnosed 2x which I have had since May (8 months ago). The rash cost me over 400$ in doctor's visits alone. I made numerous requests to compensate for the charges and get rid of the rash to no avail and eventually opted out of the insurance for a slightly more expensive option. Like I said, I have had very few medical issues in my lifetime.

I spent 3 years living in a developing country with no serious medical issues (saw a doctor 1 time the entire time) and was surprised with how poor the healthcare was with this particular organization. I think our healthcare system is headed in the right direction but it's a shame encountering organizations like this one. From a financial point of view I believe it will be much more advantageous to pay a little more for better quality healthcare to avoid some of the fees that you will encounter with routine medical problems with Kaiser.

I have been a Kaiser Permanente patient for over 20 years. We have always found Kaiser to offer the very best in healthcare. As a Senior on Medicare, I do not understand why Kaiser supports the YMCA which does not and will not offer accept the SilverSneakers program. Kaiser continually stresses exercise to their patients for good health, which benefits us, Kaiser and the government. The YMCA is one of the only places that offer water aerobics. This is a good way for seniors to exercise and does not stress the joints. The Kaiser and the Northside Hospital as major sponsors should be speaking out for the seniors. The Florida YMCAs take the SilverSneakers program which helps those on fixed incomes.

I have had Kaiser insurance since September 2016. I started looking for a doctor in October 2016, and I have been referred to a couple doctors so far. The first is really busy and has trouble scheduling appointments due to being booked up. The second has not yet returned my 2 phone calls in 10 days. Her answering machine did not indicate she was on vacation, and it said she returned calls in 2 business days, but I have not heard back from her. So now I need to look for a THIRD doctor in my area. Kaiser also outsourced my doctor visits to another insurance group, so I have to make multiple phone calls to get an appointment.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaiser Permanente?

I am not writing now about the care, but about the difficulty it is dealing with Kaiser. Whether it be obtaining records, or even trying to pay my bill, as I am now, this place is impossible. I have now been waiting 40 minutes - to pay my bill!

I have been a paying (not government subsidized) customer of Kaiser for 4 years now. It's done. It's over. I have had allergies for years and as the seasons change I get stuffed up and sometimes they get out of control and I get swollen tonsils, sore throat, fever, etc. I can't get sleep. I have a tough time breathing. I get miserable for at least a week. I used to have a good doctor when I had BCBS, when I had these issues about once a year I'd at least get some strong cough syrup so I could get some sleep to help me get over it a little quicker. But heck this last visit into Kaiser the doctor I was running a fever, my nose was plugged and I was limping by on Advil. The nurse said my pulse was high and my blood pressure was high.

I sat down with the doctor. He wanted blood tests and to put me on an iv fluids drop because he said I was dehydrated that was causing the elevated pulse as I pulled out two bottles of water and said I had to pee twice while waiting in your waiting room. He wanted to send me for chest X-rays etc. I told him my pulse and BP is high because of the fever. He told me, "No." The nurse wrote down my temperature was 98.7 that I'm not running a fever. I told him, "I checked my temperature before I left my house it was 101, I can feel when I'm running a fever." We argued about if I had a fever or not, rather than him re-checking my temp, or checking my BP the nurse took with my sleeve rolled down 4 times. I told him I don't want to be admitted overnight, I just want something to help me get some sleep. He said he can't give me anything, and he told me to go out to see the nurse she will give me my discharge paperwork.

I went out this time to a different nice nurse. I requested if she could check my temp, BP and pulse again. She said, "Gladly," and looked at my charts while checking my BP with my sleeve rolled up. My BP was 128/71 pulse of 100... I agree my pulse was high but my BP was great, my temp the second time was 101.3. She spotted Zyrtec on my chart, and asked me if I'm taking the Zyrtec D. I said, "Yes." She asked me when I last took it. I said, "A couple hours ago." She said, "Well a fever with Zyrtec D is going to elevate your numbers." It took one nice nurse to help this disastrous derailment of a doctor's visit. What a concept looking at a patient's records. Anyways, she went in to talk to the doctor and the doctor recommended Motrin and crap I could buy at Walgreens. Nothing to improve my sleep.

This is how it has been for the last 4 years. You have to fight them to get any care and they treat you for this once a year visit like you are a drug addict or trying to shake them down for prescriptions. The only pill I take is Zyrtec and when my allergies are bad I take a Zyrtec D to unplug my nose. So if you check my charts you'll see I don't have any prescriptions. I have one recommendation of Zyrtec. I pay almost $4,000/yr to see a doctor once a year for about 10 minutes to hopefully get a bottle of cough medicine or something to help me sleep when I get a cold and I don't even leave there with the bottle of cough syrup. Where is my money going. Anyways, thank you Obama for ruining the healthcare system. Kaiser is so bad I'm willing to opt for a high deductible PPO plan to just get away from this disaster. Stay clear of Kaiser.

The last 6 times I've tried to pick up a standard monthly refill of my daughter's Vyvanse there is always something screwed up. I feel bad for the pharmacy techs because the problems usually relate to some messed up system that Kaiser has put in place. Each time I learn some new part of the system that would have been helpful to know at the beginning. Customer service here really stinks.

I had a very bad experience with the call center as I was trying to renew my prescription. She was very rude, impatient, and I could hear her and the other workers laughing in the background. She spoke over me, interrupted me, and hung up on me as well. Very bad service! Time was 4:40 on December 14. Very disappointing for having been a patient for over 15 years.

My insurance is about to change. I checked in 15 minutes late for my appointment. Not only did the provider refuse to see me, but a staff member who clearly saw a patient, me, standing in the area had the nerve to say I should've been on time. I felt very disrespected and that she was very unprofessional. She was even rude enough to say she wasn't afraid to say it in front of me. If you have a choice, take your healthcare business elsewhere. You are just a number up Kaiser and their staff.

My mother recently had surgery at Kaiser Permanente off Sunset. I couldn't believe what horrible service was provided. We kept informing staff my mother was allergic to **. Instead of providing her with something less strong they were giving her a medication 2 times stronger than **. Anytime she complained she felt tired or that her sodium was low they'd dope her up on more pain killers. In the end I had to get into an argument with a nurse because she refused to check her sodium. Everyone's response we're not the doctor’s secretary. One day my mother yelled for over an hour to have someone come help her to the restroom. Finally after much argument with the nurses they finally check her other vitals and found we were not lying and she did in fact have her sodium low and her heart was sky rocketing. I couldn't believe they almost killed my mom. This hospital needs a complete personnel over haul. Worst than county hospital!

If you love being nickel and dimed, Kaiser Permanente is the place for you! Been a Kasier Permanente victim for over 10 years now. I can now honestly say they are now the worst healthcare provider my family has ever joined. Started out fine, progressively and steadily declined. My son, who is an avid rock climber, prone to forearm hernias, got a hernia. Easily diagnosed using google and google images. Figured he might need to see a doctor...Off we sent him to see Dr. ** at KP in Escondido, CA, where I had a similar if not worse encounter with a Dr. Mirwais ** (another one to steer clear of).

After spending 55.00, Dr. ** promptly told him just to "Keep an eye on it", that it could also be a "cyst", and sent him on his way. A cyst? How does that occur so quickly after a rock climb Dr. **? No follow up appointment was scheduled. This is just another in a developing line of poorly diagnosed afflictions our family endures with Kaiser Permanente. Save your hard-earned money and go with anyone other than these clowns.

I agree with another who wrote on Dr. Eric ** in Glendale, I only see one time about I need to stay on pain medication in order to stay out ER every other day. This stupid Dr. ** have some really issues wrong with him. He going to prescribed more pain medication and then prescribed some blood pressure medication name ** which I took that it had me feeling like I'm going to heart attack. And he do talk to you, he have the pharmacy to talk to you. Now he told me that my serious conditions is proven and it's is a daily constantly pain. I explained to him how I feel every day with serious condition because Kaiser doctors did this to malpractice. And now he put in my file that he wants me off pain medication so basically so I can be pain everyday, well see about because I'm going to Congress on Kaiser Permanente in South Bay too.

My primary doctor told me that everyone who has chronic pain will be taken off their medication due to some CDC guidelines and that not true. My family is doing the research on the Kaiser Permanente and is just their policy not the law. And before I leave this crooked hospital they're are not taking me off nothing. And how dare that dr. Eric ** giving me the ** and I told him I'm going to find out what this medication is use for he told me it for pain. He lie old b. My primary doctor told me different. She said they give that to people who is coming off of ** because they will have the shakes. I got mad and I'm reporting all if pain management doctors who just want to expert on me. Like putting in scs battery in me there are quacks and putting cells in pancreas now ing I will died on table.

Kaiser Permanente is going to sue big time for letting chronic disease patients suffer. Dr. ** tell me he is losing his patients because he stop their pain medication because of unknown cause of pain but yours is known and it is a fact. Please my mri show my pancreas is completely damage and it giving time I will die. They did to me and now they wanted me suffer with this. We will see about it. They are treating people like there are selling and addictive. You do know me.

My primary doctor I had for years she know me and if have to follow what Kaiser policy and stop prescribing my medication so I can somewhat be relief of my serious conditions we will see about that too. Something going on with Kaiser Permanente going broke because other hospital is not doing this. And I'm leaving Kaiser Permanente for I'm fighting for my life and I'm fighter with my type 2 diabetes on ** too. And thank you Kaiser for turning me to be diabetic. I sue you once and I will sue you again. One days doctors you will be sick too and in pain and you going to suffer too.

I am considered high risk with my pregnancy and unfortunately I'm stuck with Kaiser insurance, which is a joke. I am 30 weeks pregnant and they "forgot" to have me pee in a cup to check for protein in my urine... which is standard at every visit. I have not had one protein test in 30 weeks. Also, I have fibroid tumors in my uterus and my OB doesn't seem to care. I've asked to check them since during my last pregnancy I had a fibroid grow to the size of a grapefruit, but my OB is unconcerned and waiting for the standard 32 week ultrasound. (I was told it was because ultrasounds are very expensive and I can only have 3 of them).

I am having pain and tenderness near my cervix where the tumor is as I type this review. They're also mismanaging my thyroid disease so I'm paying out of pocket to go to my old doctor. Since having someone else help with my thyroid I am feeling much better in that department - NO THANKS TO KAISER! If you have a choice do not go with this insurance company. You would be better off with some voodoo witch doctor!!! Most of the physicians I have seen over the last few years are pompous jerks and I can't think of one scenario where they've actually helped with something important. AVOID.

KAISER does not care for the elderly. I'm Washington DC and my mom is being treated like crap. Went to ER for hallucinations and was told she was ok after doctor saw first hand. I believe they did not want to pay for her to get help. My mom is in her 80's. It's also a practice to tell ** there is nothing they can do for their loved one. THIS HAS TO STOP!!! People of other nationalities get priority treatment, all the help in the world. I'm putting this out there. Once they found out my was ** the treatment was downhill.

My primary messed up my thyroid a year ago, and keeps trying to push pills (medications) on me. She prescribes meds that interfere with my thyroid, and refuses to acknowledge her mistakes. She treats me like I am paranoid, and blames me for her mistakes. I am annoyed with their automated answering system because I've had to wait over a half hour on hold, and I can never reach the person that I've tried to call back. Their physicians and nurses keep bypassing my email messages and so my treating physician is not making informed decisions. I've requested a specialist (Endocrinologist) in order to get my thyroid medication and levels stabilized again, and she ignores my requests. I had to go to an ER to get my level rechecked and I'm surprised that I'm still alive because my levels are dangerously low.

The plan is overpriced, and the co-pay is increasing by $10 for 2017. I don't like having to travel long distances in order to be seen by one of their providers or to be seen at an urgent care or emergency room. Their support staff is rude, and not well-informed. There are too many telephone numbers and email addresses that have nothing to do with the area that I live in, and I've often been referred to these telephone numbers. The mail order pharmacy is not able to answer questions about how the local KP Pharmacy orders their medications. It's a JOKE!

My mother died of cirrhosis (sp) of liver due to Dr. Joanna **, assistant head of gastroenterology dept. at santa clara, Kaiser. She received excellent care until her doctor at the time resigned. Dr. **, if you can call her that, stopped checking her iron levels. She had been diagnosed with hemochromatosis. If iron levels are left unchecked it will become cirrhosis of the liver because there is too much iron in the blood. There was and is no excuse for committing my mother to a long and painful illness and early death. Please be aware of her lack of skill and compassion. This person should not be a doctor and certainly not assistant head of a major department.

Ever since I had Kaiser I cannot get an appointment with my primary care physician that was assigned to me Dr **. This doctor is never available, so I have to see another primary. They have messed up my Thyroid medication the last couple of times and now the physician will not refill it because I have not seen her. Why doesn't Kaiser document if a primary is not available and they sent patient to another primary??? This is extremely poor patient management. Doctor doesn't return my calls or pharmacy calls. Now I am in urgent care getting my Thyroid medication filled and I been here for 2.5 hrs. Unbelievable!! I strongly suggest if you have a choice DO NOT PICK KAISER!!

I have to start off by saying I am completely biased because I absolutely hate having Kaiser. Without a doubt, have hated it for years and have been on it since 2013. One would think having all of your health care in one building would be helpful but I have been consistently let down by Kaiser for years. They make phone appointments without your knowledge, hire some of the least professional staff I've ever encountered, frequently miscommunicate, and share health information without permission. This was my fault after seeking mental health services at Kaiser I wasn't explicitly made aware that I needed to keep filling out forms saying that I did not want my diagnosis of depression to be placed off of my medical record and I just feel like my signing of one form would have been enough but apparently not. It should have been made clearer but I suppose I also could have asked but why would I after filling out that form on my first visit?

Member services is perhaps (by far) the worst part about Kaiser as a phone call can take an average of 15 min (the average of my calls together, I kept track after the first year). I can get past the sheer amount of time that it takes to be on the phone with them but the miscommunication and unprofessionalism is so extreme that I dread calling them. It's not enough to just email. With Kaiser, the way you can contact them is limited and when you send an email message to the doctor's office it basically goes right to the doctor (I feel like I should be able to email front desk instead of medical records or a nurse not just the nurse advice line, etc.).

I understand lots of bureaucratic processes are a part of healthcare and as I work in healthcare I know how important documentation is but one would think again, having all of your healthcare together would limit how many forms and how many things you fill out. I know I literally just explained about the mental health services but right now I'm referring to the fact that I have to jump through one million hoops to get care. I would never in one million years choose this insurance again if I had the option (have to have it because of work because it's the cheapest option out there). Coverage is the only place Kaiser does well at and I have to say that's probably the most important aspect of insurance so I shouldn't complain too much.

However, I feel like I need to say something so someone, who is considering adding Kaiser to their company or someone looking for individual coverage knows the many, many MANY downsides to this insurance. I know it's cheaper than others and I really do like my providers and coverage but it is like pulling teeth to do ANYTHING and I am a person in good health who can't get the simple care I need. Also, be ready to go to the correct hospital if you do fall ill because you can receive huge charges if you don't pick the one they want you to.

I went in to Kaiser Permanente, San Marcos California in the morning of 11/1/16 feeling really sick requesting for an appointment. She said I cannot be seen until 2:50 and that I should've call them earlier. I told receptionist that I didn't start feeling really horrible until now. I had to come back at 2:50 pm because she said she had nothing. She even added that I should've called earlier if I wanted any appointments. The Physician Assistant assigned to me briefly spoke to me, did the regular stethoscope, checked my ears and throat visually and touched my lymph nodes. He didn't ask much questions or probed more and concluded I had Bacterial Infection. I was given ** and antibiotics ** & a doctor's note to take a day off.

I got worse and came back to urgent care on 11/7/16. I was told by the same receptionist that they have no appointment and that I would get a phone consult about 4 hours from that time. It was then that I asked "what if this is really serious, what options are you giving me." This is only when she suggested I go to Urgent Care. I saw Dr. David ** and explained how bad this could be and shared all my symptoms again. He claims I have Bronchitis to which I said "could it be Dengue fever since I told you guys that I just came from a tropical country and had mosquito bites." He also did not do anything extra but use his stethoscope. He said it's unlikely and was about to end our convo when I said that I would like to check so I need something done. He didn't do any extra tests to me either but thankfully he agreed to order blood work for me after MY suggestion.

After blood work, I was emailed by my actual primary physician, Dr. Richard **, on 11/10/16 and said that my antibody level for Dengue fever is elevated. Then he added that no specific treatment or follow-up is recommended per the people he consulted with. I emailed him back explaining how is this possible when people with Dengue fever had died! I demanded for a platelet count that evening via email. No one contacted me the next day so at 7:40 am, I called Kaiser and requested for blood work myself. The lab assistant was going to say no because my doctor didn't order it so I insisted that I at least have an email that can show them. Fortunately, she scheduled me at 9:40 am the same day. Before I got my blood drawn, Dr. ** finally emailed me saying he finally ordered what I recommended, as a patient, for myself.

I'm upset that I have been misdiagnosed two times. Been given antibiotics, then asked to continue this on another diagnosis that isn't supposed to take antibiotics and then after confirmation on MY OWN GUESS, was told that there is nothing that needs to be done. I could've died during the times both initially staff didn't take me seriously. This is not appropriate.

My Name is Asha and I've been taking care of my aunt Joyce ** for some time now. Picking up the pieces that Kaiser had broken apart. She has this terrible diabetes disease and heart disease. Kaiser has been administering/prescribing a high dose amount of insulin for my aunt to levels that caused her to go into diabetic shock. In November 2015 my aunt Joyce ** had been rushed to the ER while on In Home Support care through Kaiser, because of a pressure wound on her leg Kaiser failed to acknowledge.

With that ER visit she had stayed over a period of 6 months in the hospital. With Kaiser racking up her medicare bill and taking $900 a month from her retiree allotment insurance. While being treated for the pressure wound, one doctor at Kaiser noticed that she had CHF which is why she stayed so long in the hospital. They ran test and said it's inoperable and she has 6 months to live! Placed her on hospice.

Joyce ** was placed on hospice March-September at a Kaiser facility called Coming Home. There she did not die and was discharged from hospice after 6 months! The family refused to pay for any nursing facility because of Kaiser negligence, so Kaiser hospice social worker Erica, place my aunt at AgeSong, assisted living for one month where she was rushed to the hospital ER for her blood pressure and low sugar! (She needed nursing 24 hr care not assisted living). While at ER the doctors couldn't understand why she was taken out of hospice and referred her back.

The In Home care nurse and hospice director rejected THAT referral and placed her back at AgeSong. While at AgeSong they didn't bathe her nor take care of her. She acquired pressure wounds severely deep and painful. Kaiser - Erica hospice social worker - told our family they were only paying for one month at AgeSong and that we needed to figure out where to put my aunt who were still dying from her conditions. So Social worker Ericka placed my aunt in Omare a boarding care facility.

When visiting my aunt I noticed she didn't have a bath nor did her dressings get changed from her pressure sores she acquired at AgeSong. She smelled like feces and dressings on her legs were leaking and dirty. She acquired bed sores that were painful. While at this boarding care facilities, In Home support from Kaiser had been overseeing the care of these facilities and allowing the progression to continue without mentioning.

Joyce was sent to the ER for the last time from the abuse and neglected care received from Omare. The In home nurse finally reported her conditions and they sent her to the ER. She had bed wounds so deep she was heavily sedated with ** for her pain. Kaiser then placed her back on HOSPICE care. Sunday November 6, 2016 I visited with my aunt and she was feeling better and the pain had subsided. Tuesday November 8, was my aunt discharge date and before her discharge she was given 10 mg of **.

I later learned Kaiser were administering 10 mg of ** per hour for my aunt's pressure sores. The family wasn't notified of these procedures and when my aunt returned to her home for hospice care she was almost brain dead from the overmedicated doses received from Kaiser! It is now November 11, 2016 and my aunt is still delusional and incoherent from the dosage of ** received from Kaiser South City campus.

The family was given the ** to continue the care at home but my aunt is unresponsive, blood pressure extremely low, and not eating! This huge turn around happened in three days of just going to the ER for pressure sores and wound care! Kaiser failed! They overmedicated her with ** which caused an allergic reaction and now she almost brain dead! She was coming home to receive hospice care with CHF and diseased body from diabetes. Now we're dealing with yet another problem Kaiser caused from their neglected care!

Our family has filed grievance with Livanta and member services. We get to get compensated for what my aunt had endured and is now still enduring. We have a great hospice team from Vitas helping us take care of my aunt now, and we're seeking legal help to prevent Kaiser from doing this to another family! Please refrain from picking Kaiser as your healthcare. They're heartless and are now an entity for profit!

If I could give negative stars to this insurance company I would! While going through a painful miscarriage I had two horrible experiences with Dr. ** and Tina ** that will keep me from EVER using or recommending Kaiser again. First, I saw Dr. ** for a cold & requested a refill of an empty prescription bottle I brought with me and was then sent home with the wrong prescription and told to do a salt gargle. (I'm all about letting the body mend itself, but a salt gargle?) So I call back a day later after losing my voice and running a fever and am told I'll get a call back with a cough syrup prescription. Well I called back before they closed at 5 to find out my script was ready earlier in the afternoon. I get a call back 2 days later telling me my script is ready after I'd already picked it up. Talk about poor communication and customer service.

Secondly, I had to go to urgent care for the right prescription while Kaiser was closed on the weekend and once again received horrible customer service by Tina ** in member services who didn't return my call the day I filed my complaint for the correct medicine and then treated me as if I didn't matter. When I told her how horrible my experiences were, and asked her how this was acceptable she had NOTHING to say. Even when I threatened to drop them as my insurance, they made NO attempt whatsoever to rectify the situation or keep me as a client. These two staff members should be at a minimum ashamed of themselves.

I have had Kaiser insurance forever and now that I really need coverage, they will not cover. They will not even put a referral on the tab left for it can go somewhere else. After paying hundreds of thousands of dollars. I need this help. They refuse. I now have to look into another insurance company that this Dr will take. So Kaiser thank you for nothing.

I have more than 15 years KAISER for me and my family and NEVER received any bills therefore I always prefer having them as my health primary insurance. But this year I keep receiving long bills from my child as a collection fees w/o any previous email explaining what and why is now these bills. I called several times, spend hours on the phone their agents told me inc. the supervisor "don't worry about it. Ignore it because is our mistake, you are fine, you didn't change your policy premium, is okay." But the next 2nd months again I receive collection bills of pages with a due date of 6,000 and another of $333.

I called my job HR they are concern and they tried to make them provide me an explanation. I have to take a day off just to dedicate the clarification, but who pays me for that? Finally I was told that KAISER now becomes the second insurance and the primary is from my husband the Health Ins. is GEM another bad service with them. They said will mail the coordination of benefits in order to be completed by the employee beneficiary and have to be returned to them via classic mail, then they will verify the information and will follow up with KAISER. At the meantime the COLLECTION bill is against me and lower my credit score. They have power to damage credits but nobody put them a stop to pay a fee against themselves for doing this damage.

Please audit their business and besides KAISER keeps getting more people from different areas as customers, it's impossible now to get an appointment on the time wanted because they have more people and they use the same building. They charge more, they give collection bills without following the correct process and legal process.

Horrible HMO! We have had HORRIBLE experiences at the Kaisers in Orange County, CA. Most of the doctors are B rated, they are only into preventative care with happy, healthy families, they do not believe in chronic pain, say "we do not do disability," most surgeries are like an express car wash, and they want you out that day no matter what, and there is little follow up or caring. If you file a complaint, they will stick their disgusting lawyers on you, change your medical records, and tell you "you are crazy and it's all your fault." This is a ruthless corporate money making machine, where you are just a number, not a human being.

I joined Kaiser in June of 2016. I have never had an experience, with any insurance, that I have been a member of such as the ones I am going to share with you. To began I chose a PCP, which took 2 months to obtain an appointment. I need a referral to an ophthalmologist. I was referred to a doctor in Riverside, which is about 40+ miles, from my resident. When I joined I was told all doctors are in the same building. When I questioned the distance, I had to travel, I was told, "this is the closest one to you." I had to wait 3 months to see this Dr.

When I went there for a pressure check, and inquire about having a cataract removed from my left eye, he examined me and began to tell me, "whoever put that tube in your left eye, you need to go back to that Dr., because I cannot do cataract surgery on your eye. You might lose your sight." I was shocked to hear what this person had to say, because he calls himself a physician. Then he told me, "you have a cataract on one eye, and according to the girl that gave you the vision test, you are half blind in the right eye." I told him this was not true. This was a nightmare that I needed to wake up from.

This man is a rude narcissist and unprofessional. Why this so called doctor was so rude to me, I do not know, but I chose not to return for a follow-up, and informed Kaiser. When I called in to see another Dr., I was told "we are going to put you on a waiting list, and when we have an opening, we will call you." I have never heard of being on a waiting list to see a Dr. Well this was not the worst.

Today I went to pick up a refill that a customer service rep. was suppose to call in for me. She did not. When I arrived at the pharmacy, I was told "your refill is not ready, and has not been called in." I was told to wait, and they would refill it. Well she comes back, and tells me "your ins. has been cancelled." I was shocked. "So, if you want this rx, you will have to pay $100." I called Kaiser, and was told "you have 2 coverages," which I do not. I changed my plan to another carrier eff 1/1/17, which is the way Medicare does things, and these people have cancelled my coverage before 12/31/16. I was the phone for 2 hours or more, trying to correct their mistake, because I have no coverage, and it is their fault.

My premium is paid to these people out of my SS check, but they have sent me numerous letters of cancellation because of non-payment. I was told it would be corrected, but I am doubtful. At this point, I do not know what to do. Have reported them to Medicare, but it takes about 30 days, and I need my medication. Kaiser has abused me, and I am thinking about seeking legal counsel.

So I try this insurance through my employer, I check and the website says I'm covered and my kids are covered who live out of state. Well, that only applies to the medical insurance, not the dental. So I set my son up for cleanings and then I get stuck with the $480 bill because "Oh no, our dental is only in Portland Oregon, it's the medical that is covered out of state." So wonderful, a week's pay gone. Then I go to use it and I call to make an appointment on October 11th and get told I would get a callback. Wait a week, no call. Call back and they tell me it's a 2 month wait which is unacceptable.

I need work done and this first visit is going to be just someone peeking into my mouth and sending me home. So I call back and ask if they can schedule me for actual things I need and they tell me no, they won't schedule me for cleaning or other work until after someone peeks in my mouth. I know what I need. So I ask will it be another couple of months after the initial appointment and was told yes. 4 months to get a cleaning is nowhere near acceptable. Cannot cancel this crap insurance fast enough. Avoid.

I had blood work done a few times. They billed me 380,00 and they waited for all the bills to come together then send me the bill. My other insurances never billed me with extras, I just paid my co-pay and thats it. I will not go back. Im going back to my old insurance co.

They could care less about your health. YOU never get used to your pcp due to constant changing. Doctors are rude and arrogant. PAIN management is a joke. KAISER is the poor man's insurance. Good luck getting a appointment when you need one.

My patient review is about my personal experience with Dr. Eric Kim Pain Management with Kaiser in Glendale, Ca on Orange St. I have been experiencing chronic pain in my neck radiating to my shoulder for about 9 months now. When I went to see Dr. Eric Cheeho Kim he recommended me to get an MRI in which I did. I had to call them to get the results after a week because I didn't hear from them. It wasn't even the Doctor I spoke with it was his nurse and she told me I have arthritis but was not specific enough. I decided to make an appointment to see the Doctor to get the diagnosis in person. When I called in for an appointment... the appt center gave me one in a month so I had to wait another month.

Now when I saw the Doctor regarding my MRI... he wasn't even able to give me a professional opinion as to what it could be that's been giving me this tremendous dull pain. Nothing absolutely nothing was said on his part that made any sense... I wish I was more assertive as the patient to get better answers from him but that's my fault. Now what he recommended was an epidural shot which I was reluctant or I should say skeptical about it and so he said "you can try a cervical facet joint injection instead which can have less risks" and so I agreed to it. When I got my injection he told me to make a diary every day for a week and to call him if I see no progress and so I did.

The nurse calls me back instead of him and I gave her details as to the dull pain I've been having now worse in my shoulder and arm all the way to my fingers and asked her that I need pain meds to get through the day and so she told me she'll let me know and instead of calling me back she had a pharmacist call me which was NO help at all. I let them all know that this is unfair to let your patient who pays $425/month and going to this terrible pain and to leave me without any meds. Unbelievable!

Now I requested to have a second opinion on my MRI from another doctor which I'm waiting for a call to make the appointment. There is two sad and wrong things here... One is that a Doctor was unable to read or describe my MRI and leave his patient without medication. I do not recommend DR. Eric Kim to any patient especially for an MRI reading. I don't know how to explain all this better but it's coming out of my heart and experience so please believe me and my judgement about this Doctor. They always want the easy way out but cannot even determine what it is you have and yet they tell you you're a candidate for an injection which is not always the right way to go.

Expert Review

Joseph BurnsHealth Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.    More about Joseph→

Kaiser Permanente is a unique health care management program that is located mainly in the western United States. In California, Colorado and seven other states, patients who have Kaiser coverage get health care services, including hospital stays, at Kaiser health facilities.

• Offers low-cost health plans: Kaiser offers several different levels of service with varying premiums, deductibles and co-pays.
  • Kaiser offers all services itself: This company provides health care services as well as health care coverage, making it easier to get needed services and file claims.
  • Online application process: It’s easy to get a quote and sign up for Kaiser.
  • Best for Students, employees, heads of families