Kaiser Permanente Insurance

Kaiser Permanente Insurance

1.2/5 (31 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Kaiser Permanente Insurance

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Kaiser Permanente Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaiser Permanente Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaiser Permanente?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

I have a special needs child who will be 18 soon: with an intellectual disability/autism. I needed a VERY routine form filled in as I need to gain limited conservatorship (medical powers). It has a question where it asks if my child is capable of making informed medical decisions. Mind you this doctor chose to write a letter in lieu of the form. I explained to her that the form is a document that must be signed by her medical doctor and that the letter will not hold up. I know no one who has had this issue so I do know this is doctor specific. She had the audacity to call and say she won’t sign it because “I could sue her.” I asked for my child to be referred to someone who would. Many psychs in this department called me to say “Why won’t she do it? She is her doctor.”

I brought in all her latest assessments that prove she is unable to make her own medical decisions (This she knows because she did write the letter. She is not against it) but she did not sign the legal form. This form is 100% necessary and there is no “not filling it in.” Because of this my child’s medical care beyond 18 is up in the air. If you have a special needs child run far far away. No one waiting Kaiser has any idea on how to care for autistic children and now even adult!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

I have been with Kaiser for years. I have always had a good experience until this year and it's more than 1 bad experience. In January my son had a Cat Scan for a medical issue. A cysts was found on an Organ. The Kaiser MD is the responsible Dr to report this to us and did not. Then again in May he had a Cat Scan again, and again the cysts was reported in the paperwork to the kaiser Dr. and again the same Dr failed to tell us. If I had not started reading all the hospital reports and lab work for other appointments I would not have known about it, and it does need to be seen to. The same Dr had 2 opportunities to look at his medical report correctly and didn't. This is just neglect. I filed a grievance with Kaiser in mid July and was told I would get a letter. I got no letter. I called back, they said they will resend. I got no letter. I sent an email to notify them that I would like to talk to someone about this, that no one has reached out to me.

The person that received that email just assigned a new case number and filed another grievance against that grievance. So I called and escalated to a manager, they sent an email to the case manager and the case manager's manager and told me they will call or reach out to me. It’s been over a week, no one has bothered to reach out.

In another incident, I just tried to get an appointment for my child but they are booked up at all facilities today, no appointments when I call at 7am. He needs to be seen today so I pay to go private outside of Kaiser. My son needed a prescription filled. I took the prescription to Kaiser and they refused to fill it because one of their Dr's didn't write it! But they take my monthly premium for prescription services! So now I have to pay 100% of the cost of the medicine- it makes no sense. They also canceled 2 appointments back to back the morning of the appointment with different Dr's and my son ended up in the emergency room. They really have gone down as a service provider.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

I’m here unfortunately writing a review on Kaiser in Virginia. I’ve had one bad experience after another. I’m sorry to say this is the absolute worst insurance in the area. My son, with disabilities, could not get any services, and we were left to go out of network. Their mental health capabilities are atrocious. Beyond that their customer service is subpar. Please I know the price is right, but try to find another provider.

Original review: July 29, 2022

Kaiser Permanente has to be the worst insurance that has been my biggest displeasure of doing business with! I have had nothing but problems with them ever since I signed up in August 2021. First, let me start with my prescriptions. Transferring prescriptions from your old pharmacy to Kaiser’s mail order pharmacy is a joke! I called their mail order pharmacy and had to wait 45 minutes for someone to call me back because I didn’t have time to wait on hold. I had to babysit them for a month before they were finally transferred to AllianceRX. I was so frustrated that I had to get my former employer involved, and they were even getting frustrated.

Fast forward to March: I had trouble with their mobile application not letting me send e-mails to my doctor. I called technical support the first time, and they weren’t able to figure it out, so they escalated this issue to a “Tier 2” concern. I waited a week, and they still hadn’t fixed the issue, so I called back a second time. The woman on the other end told me I needed to call my doctor directly if I needed help, and she wouldn’t let me speak to anyone else, telling me they don’t take calls for Tier 2 concerns. So in other words, they are unable and unwilling to do their job, so I have to put up with the inconvenience! I called back again, and they raised my concern to a “Tier 2” again. Weeks passed, still no action.

I finally got my employer involved, who investigated the matter. They told me that Kaiser mentioned that since I switched to a PPO from an HMO, I wasn’t allowed access to e-mail my doctor since their database store information only for HMO patients. This makes zero sense because I had a PPO since August and I was able to use their e-mail in the app back in January! To top this all off, each time I seek care from them, I am told that I don’t have an active policy when this is clearly not the case. I highly recommend against doing business with this insurance company. They apparently care more about making a profit from their customers than they do providing the quality care they deserve!

Original review: July 19, 2022

I am very disappointed as a returning Kaiser Patient. I am a cancer and heart transplant patient and had to pay $2000 out of pocket for my medication. After being on the phone for almost two hours speaking to about seven different representatives I still got nowhere, no one could help me. I pay $500 a month for the HSA flex choice plan and feel like because I am not using Kaiser doctors they are give me a hard way to go. If my employer offered anything else I would change ASAP. They Suck.

Original review: July 16, 2022

A total nightmare on every level. Weeks or months to get a basic appointment. Appointments must be made online or via the 1-800 call center, which is a joke. Every person you talk to tells you something different. There's zero accountability across the board. No one cares and it's glaringly obvious. Appointments are often canceled without warning hours before you're scheduled to arrive. A courtesy text message will be sent advising you to call the 800 number to re-sched.

Know going in that if you do call, it will likely take a good 45 minutes to an hour of being transferred to a number of absolutely useless phone operators. These people work either from home or in giant call centers that are nowhere near your providers location. Be prepared to give the same basic personal information dozens of times, regardless of you entering your info through the automated system at the beginning of your call. It's a miserable and frustrating process that is often stretched out over the course of two or three days. I've received better customer service at the DMV.

If you love wasting time and receiving mediocre care - then Kaiser is the place for you. The doctors are lousy if you ever get to actually see one. You will often be forced to take appointments with nurse practitioners rather than an actual doctor because of staff shortages. I'd leave a less than zero star rating if possible. Horrible.

Original review: July 8, 2022

My husband and I have had to wait so long for appointments (since March 2020--when they started laying off people and closes facilities and cutting hours of operation by maybe 30%. In Dec. 2021 my husband's BP was dropping so low it was scary. We called for an immediate appointment and were put off to Dec. 18th. On Dec. 17th he had a stroke. In May 2022 he quit walking well and had incontinence and tons of pain. Back to Kaiser--3 week wait for appointment. They took labs and x-rays and sent him home. He got worse fast and Google said spinal pain w/ incontinence is an Emergency. I took him to the ER. He had the MRI the PCP's refused him--blood clot on the spine.

When they sent him home they told me I needed two nurses or he had to go to a nursing home. But they won't even send us home PT. They say he can't drive. But to avoid providing the home PT they designated him "Not homebound". Not homebound, but in diapers, can't drive, and needs 2 nurses! Yet they bill like crazy. Your bill is never weeks late. In fact they then send extra bills you don't owe. I hear they are about to lose their 5-star medicare rating for all the "balance billing". YUCK!

Original review: June 21, 2022

I've been defaulted into Kaiser Insurance since that was the choice my parents made, however I'd like to point out that I spent so much money on appointments that were pointless or not helpful in the slightest. I've had my fair share of doctors here and I've only met one therapist who genuinely seemed like they cared about me back in 2018. Other than that it's just, "Oh, you think you have a problem? Let me gaslight you into thinking otherwise," that's how it feels at least ("You're just overreacting," That's something you talk to them about not me," "Only time will tell," etc).

I came in with a psychiatric emergency and doctors just glared over me just trying to figure out how to get me out of there the quickest. Doing ultrasounds and whatever to "satisfy" me then kicking me out the door asap. I was furious when they called me a couple hours later admitting to had glossed over something in my ultrasound to which they said to come back, and when I did they just again said, "Nope. Never mind. You're fine," teehee (keep in mind I have to pay a fee EVERY TIME I come in, so to have a pointless appointment is just SO FUN for me, a broke college student).

For YEARS I've been trying to get a diagnosis on my mental illness, been struggling with symptoms and I'm pretty darn sure I know what I have but whenever I try to talk to someone about it they say "make an appointment here, no you were suppose to make an appointment here, didn't you know that?" All coming from my doctor only to be rewarded with a, "Sorry. You called the wrong number. You're suppose to GO HERE INSTEAD."

I'm so tired of running around, I know what I struggle with and I know they can just write me one little note and I'll be on my merry way but no, "I can't declare what I have" because I'm not a professional, oh please you don't live in a constant state of pure lack of motivation, brink of tears for no ga damn reason or my favorite just straight up sleeping because I have nothing better to do than cry or stare at the ceiling, not like I have a ** ton of work I need/want to do, I'm just a lazy sack of crap isn't that right? I have to fall in line to whatever they tell me. Doesn't matter who tells me what. It's just a big roulette wheel of who will I "need" to talk to next and who are they gonna send me to. I just want help, and I feel like I'm never going to get it... I hate this place.

Original review: June 20, 2022

Kaiser has the worst health care and horrible billing. The doctors never have any answers and just seem to not care. The doctors have repeatedly let me down from not being able to diagnose my heart condition, to causing my miscarriage and now having no answers to my severe joint pain. I was also forced to see two unnecessary specialist before sending me to the one I requested and needed. They downplay every concern and brush you off unless you need surgery or are actively dying.

The nurse practitioner prescribed me a medication that most likely caused my miscarriage. Studies have shown a link to the relation and other countries don’t prescribe it to pregnant woman. Many OBs here won’t use it either. One week after taking it, I started to have miscarriage symptoms. I went to the ER and they said I was fine. Two days later I was worse and back in the ER. One week later I lost my baby at 18 weeks! Had I not been put on that medication or had been put on bed rest sooner, I’d probably be holding my baby.

On top of our loss we had to deal with their horrible billing. We kept getting multiple bills with different balances. After being sent three bills over the course of a month with different balances due each time, we called. The representative couldn’t even explain the bill or tell us what we really owed. They even randomly charged my credit card $477 and denied ever doing it, though it clearly went through on my statement of charges.

They have a ton of facilities but none that you can just get the simple things all done at once. I have to get X-rays at one place, get meds at another, see the eye doctor at another, and a regular check up at another. It’s ridiculous how much of a run around circus they have. As a kid I had kaiser through my father's insurance. It seemed great. Now it's a complete letdown with every experience medically and financially. Nightmare of a company!!!!

Original review: June 12, 2022

My husband's work switched him to a union position and we were forced to move from Regence BC/BS, which was a fantastic company in terms of helpfulness and coverage, to Kaiser Permanente, who was similar to a cult, only paying for Kaiser doctors, Kaiser prescriptions, Kaiser referrals etc. I lost my naturopathic doctor I had been seeing for years, as well as my endocrinologist, neither of which Kaiser would reimburse, and they immediately removed me from two of my medications saying they were too expensive. My blood sugars which were controlled and staying in the low 100's, have been in the 300's since they took over my care, my eyesight has become blurry, and I cannot focus at work.

This insurance company absolutely does not care. Their doctors have even attempted to write prescriptions for the 'non-covered' medications which the company denies the same day, and I have had to utilize urgent care multiple times and pay cash for everything to get what I need to stay alive and not be disabled (still cannot afford the medications that Regence had been paying for for years). I have never been so disappointed in a company and if you are someone with any kind of chronic health conditions, do whatever it takes to avoid this insurance company. Even with the intermittent fasting, keto dieting, and daily exercise, I'll be lucky to be alive in five years because of this forced change. I cannot overstate how upset I am at this company, and I hope and pray that we will be eligible for Regence again in the near future, or the damage being done will likely be irreversible.

Kaiser Permanente author review by Joseph Burns

Kaiser Permanente is a unique health care management program that is located mainly in the western United States. In California, Colorado and seven other states, patients who have Kaiser coverage get health care services, including hospital stays, at Kaiser health facilities.

• Offers low-cost health plans: Kaiser offers several different levels of service with varying premiums, deductibles and co-pays.

• Kaiser offers all services itself: This company provides health care services as well as health care coverage, making it easier to get needed services and file claims.

• Online application process: It’s easy to get a quote and sign up for Kaiser.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Advisor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Kaiser Permanente Insurance Company Information