Kaiser Permanente Insurance

Kaiser Permanente Insurance

3.8/5 (657 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Kaiser Permanente Insurance

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Kaiser Permanente Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaiser Permanente?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2023

I HIGHLY discourage you from Kaiser. The care was always below par, but after Covid, I noticed it went even further down in quality. Medical standards that they follow are the absolute minimum they can get away with. For example, I requested to have a mammogram since I am in my 40s. They told me that "THEY changed the guidelines. You don't qualify for one anymore." Okay. Odd. I then switched to Premera Blue Cross, and requested the same test. They ordered the test for me, and told me that the guidelines have NOT changed within the American Gynocology Organizations but with a Medical Insurance provider. So it's a money issue, and Kaiser decides to follow the Insurance guidelines rather than the Medical Field guidelines. That's a red flag.

I mentioned to my dr that I felt like I needed to drop a few pounds after Covid lockdowns. She looked at me and said "You look fine." I asked for a referral for mental healthcare. They provided me with a code, but they didn't pay any amount for coverage. OVERALL, terrible care. I hate to say that because I'm sure the people who work there care about their patients to some extent. But I am beginning to think that Kaiser hires the lower half of the graduating classes of Medical School... it's also no shock that they (locally) bought out another healthcare facility that was renowned for horrific care (Group Health) and was nicknamed Group Death.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2023

I called them twice. They hung up on me twice while I was asking them nicely about an issue. I haven’t experienced these in any other insurance before! Why would you be called customer service if you guys don’t wanna talk? If you guys don’t wanna do your job then don’t answer calls and just hang up. That is rude. I would understand if a caller/customer is yelling at you for you guys to hang up. Be nice!

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2023

Kaiser Sacramento doctors and staff are terrible, they do not care about patients as actual people, we're treated as a number to receive inadequate "health care" from a corporate service. The doctors are sub-par and most are so young they lack real experience. The staff are rude and treat patients with disrespect. Patients cannot get appointments, responses to messages, all doctors are full so we can't switch to a different doctor. Test results are incorrect and it takes enormous convincing just to get any answers and further testing. Kaiser is a corporate system not at all in service to patients. Kaiser employees, especially the doctors, should be ashamed of the poor quality "health care" they provide.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2023

By far the worst health insurance and care provider I have ever had. I've had so many bad experiences with them, so I’ll just provide the top 6.

1. Want to see you psychiatrist? You'll only be able to see them 2 or 3 times a year because they're booked out 4-6 months between appointments. Each psychiatrist has about a thousand patients.

2. Want to see a specialist? Good luck. I told my primary doctor that I wanted to see a dermatologist about a couple skin conditions. He insisted I didn't need to and that he was good enough to handle it himself. Another time, I went in because my knee was hurting, which I had surgery on a few year prior. My primary said it was just because I'm overweight and just need to exercise more. I said I really would like to make sure it's not something more serious like so he wrote me a referral to get an x-ray. I scheduled it, went in to get it and found out I was going to have to pay $500. I left, then called to see why I was being charged so much. They said it was because he coded it a certain way and if he coded it differently, it would have only cost me $50.

3. I went to see a my primary doctor (different one than before) because I found a lump I was concerned about. He agreed it was very concerning and was going to write me an urgent referral so I could get an ultrasound. When I called to schedule it, the earliest appointment was over 2 weeks away. Call me crazy, but that doesn't seem like a very appropriate timeline.

4. Kaiser's online portal and general software system is awful. When I have a video appointment, they don't have a way to join from the online portal. I have to wait for them to send me a link to join. That doesn't sound too bad, right? Well, they have either sent me the link only via text message or not at all. So I have to copy the link over to my computer to do the appointment. Still not the worst? Well, when they have sent me the link, I get it 5-10 minutes AFTER my scheduled appointment time.

5. The pharmacy - what a disaster. When nothing goes wrong, it's fine. Unfortunately, I've had multiple terrible experiences with the pharmacy. One time, they said I couldn't fill one of my prescriptions because it was too soon, even though their system texted me saying it was time to fill. I told them I always pick up my prescriptions together so they should either both be available to fill or neither should be. They looked through their records and said I hadn't filled one of them for over 6 months, which I knew wasn't correct since I take these meds every day and get a 90 day supply every time. Plus, these meds require my doctor to write a new prescription every time I have them filled, which they shouldn't do if I was requesting a refill too soon. I ended up picking up the meds that were ready and having to come back a few days later to get the other.

6. My employer-sponsored coverage started at the beginning of the year. I hadn't received my Kaiser membership cards yet so I called Kaiser. I spent over an hour talking to 2 people from Kaiser, which ultimately ended with them saying, "you'll need to work with your company's HR because we don't see you in the system."

The next day, I asked my company's HR if there was an issue. They said it looked like everything was correct on their end and even sent me a screenshot of my info in Kaiser's system. I was now able to login to Kaiser's portal, but could only access Northern California, where I used to live multiple years ago. I had been a member of Kaiser Southern California for a couple years since then so I was very confused by what was going on.

I called Kaiser back, spoke with a total of 4 people over a couple hours. The call ended with them telling me, "we changed something on your account so you should be able to access it now." I confirmed I was still not able to access Southern California and they said, "give it 24 hours and it should be fixed." The next day, it seemed to have been fixed so I went ahead and requested refills on my prescriptions. Later that day, I get a text saying one of my prescriptions is out of stock. Fine, I'll just go pick up the other prescriptions that are marked as ready.

I go in to pick them up. The price is way higher than usual so I ask why. The pharmacist looked and said, "weird, for some reason it didn't go through the insurance. Do you want me to do that?" Obviously, I said yes. He then takes a while to try to run it through insurance with his manager, comes back and says my insurance only covers a 30 day supply so I'll have to pay out of pocket. I said, "I've been getting 90 day supply for years and it's always gone through." He looks and sees that's true so he talks to his manager for a while, comes back to tell me there must have been a change in the policy in the new year. I said, "fine, I need the prescription so I'll just pay out of pocket."

10 mins goes by so I ask what's going on. He replies, "Oh, we need to re-process it without the insurance." More time goes by. I see his manager talking to someone else about it. He comes back to tell me that they actually can't give me the 90 day supply at all and will need to completely start over to only give me 30. Needless to say, I will not be staying with Kaiser any longer. I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2022

Saw my Dr one time for a very serious condition. Was on lots of medicine. Was not listened to. Was not checked up on. It is a medical factory line. If you are slightly diff from the normal patient and need individualized care you will not receive it here. This is an insurance company out to only make money. Please I beg you do not support them. Thank you for reading.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2022

Two years ago I had major joint pain. My doctor took X-rays and told me “there’s nothing wrong, it is psychological.” (No psych referral though.) Then, a year and a half later…. I had a physical with my new Primary Care Provider (PCP) in May. He made a comment that I’d “be a diabetic in 10 years.” I didn’t give it thought, until July, when I sent him an email in the KP App. No reply. Every week, for four weeks, I emailed with no reply. Again, I changed doctors. The new doctor had a “first available” in November, three months away. I waited. My KP app showed my appointment, until a week before, when it disappeared. I email a note, asking if it was still on. No reply. Two notes later, and two days before my assignment, I got a phone call. “Unfortunately, we have to cancel that appointment. His next first available is February.” Glad I emailed.

At this point I settled for any doctor that could see me, and got in to meet a very nice resident that spent time with me and even looked at my joints. The referral I was given for my joints got me to a person that could identify swelling and painful areas just by comparing sides. One wrist has fewer wrinkles, since it’s inflamed. Same with my elbows. So, I could have gone six months waiting for an appointment with my PCP, in hopes it would not be canceled again. Things that could have been treated as soon as discussed were discounted and treatment was seriously delayed. I’m the expert on my body and know when it’s not working right. The doctor is the expert on the human body. But, with Kaiser, it seems that people get only urgent treatment anymore. We are told to wait six months for an appointment, but pay our monthly premiums on time. It’s not right.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2022

From what I have been made aware of and it was backed up by the pulmonary doctor my problem started on June 15 2021. I was not aware that I had fluid in my lung then but it states that in the info on their website. I was never treated for that or informed of it either. I was treated for a POSSIBLE blood clot but they said they thought it was a blood clot but not for sure. They put me on blood thinners and hospitalized me for 3 days.

I talked to the pulmonary doctor and she agreed with me. She said she did not think it was a blood clot I had back then and took me off the blood thinner because of the kind of work I do. Because an injury could cause me to bleed out faster. She figure it was the lesser of two evils because the downside of that is that in putting me on a blood thinner and taking me off them I am now more likely to a blood clot than if I had not been put on them. I was not aware of this until I started checking the info on my doctor visits starting with June 2021 when I was hospitalized for a POSSIBLE blood clot.

Anyways now onto the rest. I had multiple visits after the being hospitalized as follow up appointments. I went in on Sept 21, 2021 to the urgent care with swelling in my legs. They treated me but it never really went completely away. Then on Dec 8 2021 I went to the urgent care who sent me to the er because I was suffering from shortness of breath. All they did was prescribe me more meds & sent me home. They never did a chest x-ray. It kept getting worse to the point that on April 12, 2022 I again went to the urgent care complaining of shortness of breath. They prescribed me more meds and sent me home. Again they never did a chest x-ray. And again it got worse not better and I went back to the urgent care on April 26th with the same complaints. They prescribed me more meds and sent me home. Again they never did a chest x-ray.

We waited thinking that maybe it was kidney related and since I had an appointment with my kidney doctor on May 16th. Nothing came of that and it kept getting worse. It got so bad that I could not walk half a block without gasping for air. I had to be pushed in a wheelchair by my girlfriend from the parking lot when I had to go in for my MRI because I could not walk that far without having an attack. After that we waited hoping that my phone appointment with Dr ** would be able to get some results because the urgent care visits were a waste of time since all they would do is prescribe more meds and send me home without doing a chest x-ray.

I missed the phone appointment because I could not answer the phone in time. I waited 30 minutes for him to call again and he did not call again so I called to try to let his office know what happened and the person I talked to could not get hold of anyone in his office so I left a message telling what happened. I got another appointment with Dr ** for June 10th, 2021. Meanwhile my girlfriend and me as well as her son had called his office trying to get help at least twice so he aware there was a problem. On June 10th, 2022 I got a call early in the morning cancelling my phone appointment with Dr ** and they rescheduled it for the end of July.

On June 11, 2022 I went back to the urgent care with the same complaints as well as complaining my shoulder hurt when I fell down from having a problem breathing. I basically passed out when that happened. They finally did a chest xray but did not contact me with the results. On June 15th 2022 I came home from work and felt really bad, so bad it scared my girlfriend who told me, "You are going to the urgent care again" so I went back to the urgent care and the doctor there took one look at the xray from my last visit and sent me to the er where they hospitalized me. One lung was almost completely full of fluid. Obviously it had been building up for the last year and until the one doctor saw the xrays they did nothing to treat me for it, just gave me more pills & sent me home each time.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2022

I am so frustrated with Kaiser in Northern California and the service that I am receiving. They are horrible, it takes months to get in to see someone, to get a specialist is almost impossible and the doctors just don't seem to care if you are hurt or in pain.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2022

Kaiser Folsom is the worst insurance to have. Doctors prescribe meds without even examining you. When you have a urgent matter they don’t return your calls. I have been sick for 3 weeks now and they keep prescribing meds and have not seen me once. They need to be investigated.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2022

Kaiser doctors do not give adequate consideration to the symptoms you report. Instead, the symptoms are brushed off based on statistics and age believing that everything is ruled out and advising to take better care of yourself. When you already take care of your health and body and practice a healthy lifestyle but still have certain symptoms that are dismissed, something is wrong with the system. Kaiser is not for people with real concerns, nor is it a good health insurance provider. The doctors having the power to decide whether referral is warranted for a specialist or specific test is detrimental to one's health.

Kaiser Permanente author review by Joseph Burns

Kaiser Permanente is a unique health care management program that is located mainly in the western United States. In California, Colorado and seven other states, patients who have Kaiser coverage get health care services, including hospital stays, at Kaiser health facilities.

• Offers low-cost health plans: Kaiser offers several different levels of service with varying premiums, deductibles and co-pays.

• Kaiser offers all services itself: This company provides health care services as well as health care coverage, making it easier to get needed services and file claims.

• Online application process: It’s easy to get a quote and sign up for Kaiser.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Advisor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Kaiser Permanente Insurance Company Information