Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
Kaiser Permanente Insurance
3.32/5

Kaiser Permanente Insurance

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

1033 Kaiser Permanente Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 13, 2019

My husband and I have Kaiser insurance through our employers and we are very happy with our plans. I have a facility close by my work if I have a doctor's appointment, need lab work, x-ray, or the pharmacy it's all right there. Kaiser has all health history online and computers in each exam room. My husband had back surgery 3 years ago, and shoulder surgery 1 year ago he had excellent doctors and care both times. Kaiser health plans are the most expensive HMO plans offered by both our companies, however they are so efficient it's worth it.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I really like Kaiser. When I see a doctor or go to Urgent Care all tests are done in the same building, and results are fast. I also love that Kaiser is very proactive about health. It is easy to get all results via the web. My husband and I have had excellent care at Kaiser. I appreciate that they are not for profit, and more about patients care. The only downside is that they are not located everywhere, so I often have to buy separate insurance when I travel, however, you can always get emergency care within the US.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I had San Francisco Kaiser 40+ years ago and had always been healthy. After giving a normal birth in the early 1980s, I dropped Kaiser due to very poor service and aging inadequate facility. They brought me the wrong baby to breastfeed! I've returned to Kaiser for over 5 years now, after a good experience working with a wonderful Kaiser doctor for my in-law.

Kaiser has gone thru a major overhaul, new buildings (beautiful Mission Bay campus but on the other side of city for me)/remodel, procedural changes (I'm sure partly gov't mandated) and also invested heavily in their IT systems. Hopefully they've eliminated the horrible doctors who refused to care for patients and didn't address their complaints (or at least try to). Staff are attentive to patients and no longer ignoring patients, especially at the front desks. Two thumbs up on their online patient portal.

For myself, I found the right, caring doctor(s). I've used their 24x7 Advice Nurse line and found them to be caring and responsive. Even short notice appoints with my non-attending physician (Geary Blvd OP), hit the DX right on the nose, verified with RX-ray same FRI afternoon, and waited for me afterwards to see the results after 6 pm, so she could order the prescription and not wait over the weekend. Now that is service! Another short notice appointment with an optical specialist after I idiotically poked my eye bending over an orchid plant late night, was also efficient. Not much bedside manners, but I was so concerned as the eye was bleeding initially. The graveyard adviser nurse even consulted a doctor and tried to get me a followup morning visit rather than ER visit, as good to ensure I did not damage my vision.

The option for video appointments with my primary doctor is great and they finally fixed the sporadic bug in their pharmacy refill system. I had retired from IT in a county hospital so I feel I have a basis for comparison. I am very very happy with SF Kaiser (Northern California). I had been dual-insured with HealthNet for many years and it was also good, depending on the doctor you get, but like the one stop Kaiser health service as I normally research the background of the specialists anyways. I also appreciate reading the issues other patients on this website. It's always good to hear both sides and to be aware, which is why I am writing this. Finding the right doctor to fit you and your personality/demeanor is key. Also remembering medical staff are not perfect.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

We've had Kaiser Permanente insurance for 3 years. Our son was born last year, but other than that we are relatively healthy. We've had a very positive experience with KP during that time. We love our doctors and pediatrician. It's extremely convenient to talk to an on-call nurse, and we can almost always get same-day appointments in urgent care when we have a problem. The system is very convenient -- everything under one roof. You can get referrals and see a specialist on the same visit! (And pick up your medicine in the pharmacy.) And we can e-mail our pediatrician anytime and get responses in under 24 hours; great for unexplained rashes or fevers. We loved pre-natal classes as well. My only complaints are -- expensive (but everything is expensive), and the website is a little clunky and can be tricky to figure out. (But the website is also great because it has all your records stored there.)

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I just have to share how amazing everyone at Kaiser in Roseville is. I went in the other day at 3am, sadly having to drag my poor daughter with me. I ended up having really painful side effects from my IUD. Everyone I came in contact with went out of their way to make my daughter and I as comfortable as possible. They got us in right away, and brought us an extra bed for her ♡. They also brought her crackers, apple juice, and coloring stuff. They ran a bunch of test to make sure I was ok and it wasn't anything serious. Test came back fine, then finally the OBGYN Dr came down and helped me remove the IUD, which they could have said, it wasn't an emergency and to come back. But she wasn't busy, so she came down. And like I suspected, that was the root to all my pain. Thank you, to all the employees at Kaiser for all their top service. Especially those who were able to make my daughter and I so comfortable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaiser Permanente?

Original review: May 10, 2019

I have been trying for months to get my and my new wife's accounts combined. Twice, they said they would mail me a form, which didn't happen. Then I finally complained online and someone who was very nice called me. She faxed me the form and I filled it out and faxed it in. They didn't bother to read the cover letter describing what I needed, and the form was very vague, so they sent me right back to customer service. I've gotten the runaround twice. Their customer service is really very poor. Kaiser works great, if you dont ever intend to make a change to your account. If that happens, then watch out, they suck.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Trying to pay Kaiser is something of nightmare for me. 50/50 they lose my co-payments. They then charge me extra for not paying them. With no notification. They send me to collection. With no notification. I call them and, after a lengthy conversation which always sounds like the Kaiser staff don't know how their own system works, pay. 50/50 this works. Otherwise, I continue to receive external alerts that Kaiser says I owe them money. This has become a nightmare. The problem isn't my bank. The problem isn't me the user. The problem is either a glitch with their payment system or the incompetence of their staff.

Original review: May 7, 2019

We live in an area where the only Kaiser Pharmacy is clear across town. We have used a local grocery store pharmacy for years, and Kaiser will not cover any of my medications if we use that pharmacy. I have type II diabetes and high blood pressure. So, we are forced to use their pharmacy. For a couple of years, my doctor prescribed a medication, in addition to my **, which helped keep my blood sugar numbers within a controlled state. It also helped lower my A1C level to pre diabetic numbers. Apparently, Kaiser felt this drug to be too expensive to approve, and superseded my doctor's prescription. Now, my levels are once again uncontrolled and my A1C is high. My diet has not changed one bit, and I do not consume sugar or carbs. I guess my life is not worth more than the mighty dollar. Thanks for nothing, Kaiser.

Original review: May 4, 2019

For two years Kaiser misdiagnosed my bilateral hip dysplasia. The only way to fix hip dysplasia is through a surgery called a PAO, which reshapes the pelvis. There are only three surgeons in the state of Colorado that can perform this specialized surgery, and none of these are Kaiser surgeons. For my right hip, I had a wonderful surgeon that was not Kaiser, but the hospital was a Kaiser covered hospital, so Kaiser paid out of network to have my right hip repaired. Now I need to have my left hip repaired, but my surgeon changed hospitals to a hospital that is not covered by Kaiser. Since I am a teacher, it is important that I get my surgery in the summer so that I miss the least amount of school because this is a 13 week recovery period. I had scheduled my left PAO surgery in January for a June surgery date.

I am now being DENIED my SURGERY because my surgeon is working in a non-Kaiser hospital. There are NOT ANY KAISER surgeons and Kaiser hospitals that cover this surgery. Kaiser claims that they will cover conditions that Kaiser doesn't have specialists for. However, they need to put their actions where their mouths are. In the meantime, I am having a lot of hip pain and suffering. Currently, I am fighting to get this lousy insurance to approve my surgery next month. I am disappointed with Kaiser. They misdiagnosed me, and they don't have the proper specialists to fix certain problems. Kaiser is too limiting, and you can't get the proper treatment you need.

Original review: May 4, 2019

Good luck... with your membership if you are a senior in Northern Ca. I would have rated my Kaiser experience a 4 star just a few years ago, but what a difference a few years make. From threatening to cancel my senior care advantage, (I used an out of area facility once, and they incorrectly insisted that I needed to change my area membership), sending a bill to an address out of state, and 7 years old... then sending me to collections because I was totally unaware of their mistake, to denying that they had sent me to collections, to advising me on a regular doctors visit that spritzing a small actinic keratosis spot on my face would cost $150 because it is considered "cosmetic". (I had recently had a similar spot removed and sent to the lab as precancerous).

After moving from Oregon (wonderful care), to No Cal, I had to choose a new doctor. She refused to renew the prescriptions from my previous doctor because "I might forget how many I had taken, take more and die... All old people do this type of thing. She also could not diagnose a very basic problem that I managed to do myself by going online... Aura migraines. Now I have to choose a new doctor. I have severe back problems and have been managing pain with no more than one ** a week for approx 20 years.

Guess what? No more ** management for me... I am too old... and yes, I am very aware that there is an opioid crisis. Only extra strength ** now. It does no good. Only upsets my stomach. All this in only 7 months. Can't wait to what else is in store for this member of Medicare. Would switch to another plan, but it is just too much trouble. By the way, my recent care in Oregon would be rated a 5+. Has Medicare actually rated Northern California recently?

Original review: May 3, 2019

After many years as a member of Kaiser, I can attest to their poor health care services. It seems that too many of their doctors (and pharmacists) receive questionable training overseas, and they don't speak English as a first language. I've been subjected to the doctor "behaving inappropriately," being forgotten while waiting at the pharmacy, and carelessly prescribed meds to which I'm allergic. All of this has happened to me not once, but several times over the years. When scheduled for surgery to repair a prolapsed bladder, the surgeon insisted on also doing a complete hysterectomy, to which I balked. He did it anyway, once I was sedated! His reasoning was that I didn't need those organs anymore so why not remove them in case they cause trouble down the road?! Within a few years of that, unexplained bleeding occurred.

At first misdiagnosed as simply aging, a second opinion from a different OB/GYN revealed sutures from the unwanted hysterectomy causing the bleeding. A second surgery had to be done to remove the sutures, and that surgeon was just as arrogant and uncaring as the urologist who had performed the original surgery. (I had refused to return to the first urologist/surgeon, needless to say.)

The most recent example of medical incompetence by Kaiser was my being diagnosed with a thyroid disorder; however, no one bothered to tell me about it until a year later when I saw an optometrist for new glasses, and he mentioned it to me while reading from my medical record. My overall feeling about Kaiser is that they hire cheaply. Though they tout their vast selection of doctors and centrally located services as a big plus, what this really boils down to is quantity over quality. And that's not anyone's idea of good health care, is it?

Original review: April 27, 2019

I have had KP for 25 years, my Mother for 10 years, & my daughter for 10 years. It is especially easy to get a referral to a specialist. My Mother had 13 medical conditions & 4 spinal surgeries. KP took over a MRSA infection in her leg. They kept her in the hospital long enough to finally cure it. Previous insurance did not.

Original review: April 26, 2019

If you are seeking to have people in the medical field who are more trained in being actors/actresses, then their actual skill set and compassion. This is the place for you. Being a patient of Dr. Faith **, has been the worst experience. Her inappropriate treatments, forgetting to order pain medications at an appointment, not responding to emails, and very poor bedside manner. These are Some of the few reasons to make an appointment with anyone else if you need to see a PCP in Pinole, CA.

I was scheduled for an MRI for an MVA injury causing severe neuropathies. I was told to make an appt at a specific location, and then would be able to see a spinal MD. The wait time was over a week and a half for an MRI appt, and then I could contact the MD to schedule my appointment. In summary this leaves me without treatment for over two weeks, with severe neuropathies, pain, muscle spasms, and limited range of motion.

I was advised by a very rude MRI personnel in Oakland to call other MRI locations and see if they had sooner availability. She told me the operator would assist me in obtaining those numbers and transferred my call. The operator answered, was even rider then the MRI personnel, talking poorly about other staff at Kaiser. I was given a number for call at another location, called and was met with even further miscommunication and rudeness. Apparently, the physician has to specify the location for the MRI and it is only good at that location. So even though there were sooner appt it could not be scheduled, without waiting 4 days. The other option is to have the PCP put in a new MRI referral. However, if Dr. ** is your PCP, chances are she will not be reached.

In conclusion, as patients, we are customers (this the corny superficial attempts at impersonating compassion). After interacting with several personnel, I can not say just how appalled I am with my entire Kaiser experience (from the medical mismanagement, poor interpersonal skills, & downright rudeness). I was told to go to an ER so I can “actually be treated,” which is such a waste of ER resources, backing them up further, because outpatient services are so poor. RUN.

Original review: April 22, 2019

I went in for a check up in January for anxiety. The dr was interrupting me as I was describing my what I was feeling, I had started seeing a wonderful therapist OUTSIDE of Kaiser, and I told him she was really helping helping but I wanted to just set my mind at ease and get my vitals tested so I knew I was still healthy physically. He instead prescribed me a bunch of medication and ONLY HAD MY BLOOD TESTED FOR STDS. Also when I went to the office for my disability forms for work (my panic attacks were so bad my boss told me to take a leave of absence), THE DR HADN'T PUT IN A REPORT ABOUT ANYTHING I WAS EXPERIENCING. It was only listed I was in the office the day I went.

I had asked him multiple times to sign the forms I needed signed for my leave and he refused and said their disability office would have everything after he filled out the report. Then recently I was trying to see if my therapy could be covered by my insurance, I was told over the phone multiple times it was and I'd get a call back with a reference number. They never called, so I had called multiple times to get it and when I finally got on the phone with someone THEY SAID I WASN'T COVERED FOR THERAPY.

Oh and during my drs visit the nurse who called me in originally was supposed to call an older man in but she mixed up the paperwork and entered in all my symptoms and why I was there under the wrong file, and had showed me some of his file. A lot of other little things happened in between (like an advice nurse telling me I could go off the medication I was supposed to be taking with no further info other than I didn't ask for it). No respect for people, absolutely no focus or care on what they are doing. Kaiser sucked in the 90s when I was a kid and my parents warned me about it and holy ** they have not improved at all. I am definitely switching as soon as I can. Kaiser is terrible. Do not trust your health with this terrible business.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Kaiser is a cheaper and more inclusive all in one program. It's easy to get things done when the doctor can prescribe without an additional approval by an insurance company. It is a bit industrial though. You get lines and huge facilities with massive amounts of people there.

Original review: April 17, 2019

In the 35+ years that Kaiser has taken care of us has almost always been at a high level, specifically when my wife was treated successfully for ovarian cancer. I believe the people we have dealt with are compassionate and caring for all their patients.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I love my coverage with Kaiser. Everything is in one place, I don't have to get a referral to see a specialist, I never wait more than 5 minutes from my scheduled appointment time, and the staff is always very friendly and helpful. I also get reminders when I'm due for any preventive care such as flu shots, mammogram, etc. I'd recommend anyone looking for insurance to check out Kaiser Permanente.

Original review: April 15, 2019

They would rather sell you drugs than cure you, worse than a pusher. Rude and lofty. Expensive and unhelpful. If a Dr is any good, they leave. Most of their drs are only there to collect and paycheck, they do not care for you at all.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Quality care at a reasonable price. Prescriptions delivered by mail. Appts. made on internet or by phone. Tests results available online. Can contact physician and or specialist online by email with questions or concerns.

Original review: April 13, 2019

This company does not care at all about their members. The provider that I want to see is not "allowed" on the Kaiser Plan because the Kaiser Plan has "been full for years". What a weak excuse. Open the plan up to providers that your members want to see!

Original review: April 12, 2019

I feel it is a decent value and comfortable for my health and finances. It is expensive for someone living on social security. They respond in a reasonable time. Too many papers, however. I don’t need them to tell me they do not discriminate every week of the year.

Original review: April 12, 2019

The locations and facilities are excellent. The staff cares. The cost especially of drugs is reasonable. The website and emails are good. They remind you about preventative care.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Easy to access care. Go to one place for all needs. Pharmacy and lab are quick and efficient. Wide choice of PCPs. Every dept is always on time. Little wait for care and service. No deductible on medical or prescriptions and prescription fees are much less than I had elsewhere.

Original review: April 10, 2019

It seems like between the deductibles and copays, the cost is really high for the Senior Advantage Plan (Medicare). It does not even provide transportation benefit. But it is the only plan rated 5 stars according to Medicare itself, which supposedly takes cost into account.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Kaiser has some very worthless docs, by that I mean I honestly don't know how they keep their license, I have been denied treatment for several issues and they also missed a concussion and I had to go to Fairfax ER for diagnosis, they also were not able to treat many of my issues and I am having to go outside of network. Even though they say they cover alternative treatments, I can't find anyone within 100 miles of my house that takes them. As long as you only have the could here and there and are relatively healthy you would think they are good, but if you have more health issues they are terrible.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I am on Medicare and need partial dentures for my missing teeth. According to the procedure code D5214, supplied by Kaiser, I have to pay $722.00 but the network dentists I met demanding $1350.00 to $2000.00, When I contacted benefits department they blamed it on Dominion National dental insurance company.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I love Kaiser, anything I have needed done they have taken care of it. I would not be as comfortable with anyone else. When I had cataracts they took care of it and also got rid of the excess skin above my eye. They did my appendix and my gall stones. When my husband got cancer they did everything possible to save him. His Dr. even sent me a sympathy card. Everything you need is in one location that you need often. Other things like place to pick up a walker could be in a building close by.

Original review: April 8, 2019

The doctors, nurses and technicians have always treated me with respect and kindness. Prescriptions are filled quickly. Appointments for urgent care are easy to get. Emergency room gets crowded by urgent care patients but the triage teams arrange treatments according to the urgency of the care required.

Original review: April 7, 2019

Have suffered several misdiagnosis with Kaiser "team". Several medical and medication error. Alter phone, email, and office visits. Push antidepressants for pain rather than spending money to look for health concerns. Pharmacy shorts medication if it is expensive. Radiologist don't know how to read scans. They are horrible.

Original review: April 7, 2019

Efficient. Practical. Fair priced. Actually more than fair. My yearly premium is now much less than I used to pay. Prescription drugs are a fraction of what I used to pay. Copay for procedures is also a fraction of former charges.

Kaiser Permanente expert review by Joseph Burns

Kaiser Permanente is a unique health care management program that is located mainly in the western United States. In California, Colorado and seven other states, patients who have Kaiser coverage get health care services, including hospital stays, at Kaiser health facilities.

• Offers low-cost health plans: Kaiser offers several different levels of service with varying premiums, deductibles and co-pays.

• Kaiser offers all services itself: This company provides health care services as well as health care coverage, making it easier to get needed services and file claims.

• Online application process: It’s easy to get a quote and sign up for Kaiser.

• Best for: Students, employees, heads of families

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Kaiser Permanente Insurance Company Information