Kaiser Permanente Insurance

Compare Health Insurance Companies

Research top Health Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I'm posting this short review to help support many of the previously submitted reviews about the very poor customer experiences with many of the Kaiser Permanente processes, and procedures, and performances from right coast to left coast of the USofA. (Thanks for the news that they're incapable of handling all the new clients they have.) After being a 6 year customer of KP, and after reading others experiences on this ConsumerAffairs website, and after having 2 recent years of my own poor service experiences with KP, I'll be looking to opt-out of KP going forward in 2018.

Hard to get timely appointments, not feeling confident in KP's dermatology dept expertise & delivery - (kids, wear sunscreen). You can't get a referral unless you first wait in the long KP line first. KP has no escalation process. KP won't help to expedite a "worrisome" problem that is not an ER visit need. My positive views: Getting a flu shot is easy; as is a blood draw; my primary care physician is responsive to my small needs for a physical or cholesterol monitoring. Hope this helps someone.

This year, I switched to Kaiser Dental, because the benefit amounts looked great and when I asked the customer service agent about wait time, she said it was about two weeks, but emergency appointments could be obtained without wait. When I first called for a dental appointment in December, I was told I would be contacted by the local dental office. After waiting for two weeks with no callback, I called in a second time and waited another two weeks, before calling a third time, each time with no response.

In February, I had to go in for an emergency appointment, which cost more and was at a distant clinic. They started a root canal. A few days later, the temporary filling fell out. I had difficulty getting another emergency appointment and ended up with a terrible infection. When I called in, I was told to drive over an hour to their nearest hospital. Finally, I was able to get them to contact a dentist, who was willing to call in a prescription for an antibiotic. The only pharmacy open on the weekend, was at the distant hospital. I requested that it be called in to a local pharmacy, but was cautioned that I'd have to pay full price. The antibiotic caused side effects, which included severe digestive disturbances and a skin rash. Once again, I went through the time consuming phone process to obtain advice.

The only appointment I could obtain to replace the temporary filling, was a second emergency appointment at a distant clinic. While there, they said they'd have the nearer clinic call me with a follow up appointment. I asked if I did not hear back in a timely manner, if I had the option to walk in to make an appointment and I learned that indeed, that is an unspoken option.

This time, I didn't wait. I drove straight to the local clinic and set up an appointment. The receptionist was not exactly welcoming. I learned that the first opening was not until late May, so I had to return to the distant clinic to finish the root canal. I was then informed that I needed to have a check-up, before they could proceed with a crown. Initially, I was told they were booked through the end of August. The dentist told me that he would put in a note to try to get me in earlier and gave me a direct number.

When I didn't hear back, I called and was then called back by a woman who explained that it wasn't fair to other clients to give me an earlier appointment. I agreed with her that it wasn't fair to the other clients and affirmed that it was not fair to me either! That we had all purchased a product and that Kaiser was not providing that product in a timely manner. After a slightly negative comment, she gave me an appointment for the check-up in May. The crown was put in on July 11.

While visiting my father in S California in early July, the rash that began during the antibiotic treatment, intensified. I called an advice nurse at Kaiser in that area and was offered a same day appointment. I also had them look at a skin lesion I'd been concerned about. The practitioner prescribed a medication for the skin rash and offered me an appointment with a dermatologist for the following week. Unfortunately, I had to fly back to Oregon to have the crown put in, so I requested that the referral be transferred to Oregon. Once home, I learned that the first available appointment was not until mid September. I requested to be put on a list for a cancelation, but was told that was against their policy. This waiting game is dangerous, irresponsible, unreasonable and without integrity.

I have a neuro-autoimmune disease from a surgery. You guessed it Kaiser. They put me in a cast which caused the disease. It spread full body which has led to me losing my career of 20+yrs. Permanent Disabled with 100% unemployable. I was have neck problems with it locking up. Get MRI done on my cervical spine shows 4 herniated disc with the 5th one moderate bilateral. Neurosurgeon says there's nothing wrong. I have the MRI looked at by 2 doctors outside of Kaiser. Both say the C5-6 has no fluid and it's too close to my spinal cord. If I don't get surgery I can be facing permanent paralysis. I have Medicare and have Kaiser. Going back and forth with the neurologist and neurosurgeon.

Today the pain is horrific. Lots of pressure and both my arms are going numb. Just like the other 2 doctors said would take place. What's worse I can't even sleep for more than 4 hrs, I can't sleep with a pillow and now my legs are starting to get pins and needles when I'm laying down. I get up and it goes away. I freaking cannot believe how inconsiderate and how incompetent Kaiser's doctors are. They hire the bottom of the barrel and have practitioners treat patients. I'm like "dude my arms are going numb nothing." Even their physical medicine Dept tells me “Yeah we know your neck is bad and the numbing is caused by your neck but we can't do anything for you.” Freaking no EMG nothing. You can't leave nerves pinched nor compressed for a long period of time. That's what leads to permanent nerve damage which is irreversible.

Mind you I've been going back and forth with Kaiser's neurosurgeons for almost a year now. And yes I have Medicare. Then Kaiser can refer me outside of their network and choose not to. I'm getting out of there coming this enrollment in Oct. Kaiser is only good for educating pre medical awareness. When it comes to actually treatment you’re better off going to a car dealership. LOL. They are terrible yet protected by the government that's why they have what's called a arbitration because if they didn't they wouldn't be in business from all the malpractice law suits. Kaiser SUCKS REALLY BAD.

Be careful!!! They send you a bill even in the things that are covered like the ANNUAL PHYSICAL CHECK. In many years that I was with Health Net and Blue Cross never had received a bill for a physical and they did a lot more (EC, XR CHEST), here in Kaiser I have to beg the doctor to do my PAP. Also if it is needed do a test that is not covered they must to let you know before. They do not have idea what they are doing. People, OPEN YOUR EYES, DO NOT LET THEM TAKE YOUR MONEY!

In calling Kaiser for an appointment, I asked to schedule a behavior health appointment, in which I was denied saying they were closed and other representatives cannot schedule these appointments (lazy or uneducated on the system, or just inconvenient, I don't know). Then, when arriving for a physical appointment, I asked to schedule an appointment in the behavior health department once again. They said "Go upstairs to behavioral health and schedule it with them. We can't do it here." I'd like to point out that these departments are in the same building and they can pull up schedules for the doctors in behavioral health on these computers.

I went upstairs at 3:30 PM and saw the behavioral health department to be closed. I went back downstairs and they said to call their general number for making appointments. I was very dissatisfied with the fact that I went in a circle and was not informed of the department's (early?) closure or that they were not available to make appointments for a specific department when the receptionists are available to make appointments for every other department. I proceeded to e-mail my doctor through the Kaiser Permanente website and she directed me to the same hotline number.

When calling for the second time, the behavior health department was finally open. After waiting on hold for 30+ minutes, I was told I was considered a "new patient" because I had not been to behavioral health department after a year. New patients cannot make appointments after 2:30 or on the weekends. Tell me, as a full-time working adult, why I would schedule an appointment as a "new" patient to miss work because I am restricted to scheduling before 2:30 PM? I am infuriated that the process of setting up an appointment took so long and yet I cannot fit this into my schedule because of its inconvenience to my, and every other working adult's, schedule. My status as a "new" patient inhibits me from getting the healthcare I need when I have visited this doctor before and still have communications with her through e-mail in the Kaiser Permanente app and website.

Other than this instance, I have had multiple bad experiences with Kaiser in waiting on hold for extremely long periods of time (30 minutes to an hour). Also, a con is that they do not let you visit doctors outside of the Kaiser Permanente system, which means I cannot go see a behavioral health professional. I have repeatedly been disappointed with the customer service and care that Kaiser Permanente provides.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaiser Permanente?

Please, do NOT choose Kaiser for your health care needs. Unfortunately, Kaiser is the only health care offered by my employer. Here are three examples of the MANY negative experiences I've had while receiving medical care from Kaiser. 1. LONG wait times on the phone and phone representatives who do not listen carefully ~ One example: I told the Kaiser operator, I am taking **, and I am having severe side effects. I need to speak with my ob/gyn. "So, you're having an allergic reaction to **?" She laughed. "No. No. That is not what I said. I am taking **, and I am having severe side effects." Oh!

2. Under-Educated Medical Personnel: The young women in the ob-gyn office who took my vitals was pleasant, but she was not well trained. When she started to take my blood pressure, I told her (as I had been instructed by the radiation oncology nurse) to please take it on my left side, as I had received radiation treatment on my right side. "What was the radiation for?" She asked. "I had a lumpectomy," I replied. "What's a lumpectomy?"

3. Inexperienced/Unkind Technicians: During my 5th mammogram in two years, I was yelled at three times by the technician because she was having trouble conducting the procedure. I am a breast cancer survivor. I know how a mammogram works. I had the procedure done 4 other times by 3 other technicians. I remained calm and compliant throughout the procedure. This tech was having trouble getting the pictures she needed. She could have asked the other tech for help. Instead, she took her anger out on me. One of her remarks was, "You know this is all your fault don't you?!" If you have other options for medical care, please select those instead.

I really wish I could give 0 stars for their telephone service. Seeking any kind of help over the phone is a super tedious process. Speaking to operators is not fun at all. I was on hold for 20 minutes only to be directed elsewhere and then disconnected. The whole Northern/Southern California is a complete disaster when trying to get your questions answered.

I have been having the same conversation with the billing department at Kaiser Permanente for the past 3 months. They tell me one thing over the phone, then the billing statement is released for that month and what is represented in that bill is completely opposite of the conversations that have taken place. TIP: don't lie to your customers so they begin undergoing an ongoing, weekly treatment, just to go back later on and charge them an outrageous amount of money because 'the billing code used doesn't align with what's covered by your plan'.

A worker's comp which should have been assessed and closed quickly... is still on after 6 months! Countless calls to claim offices, member offices, financial offices, 3 certified with return receipt letters to 3 different Kaiser Permanente addresses... I still keep receiving bills, bills which should have been flagged (I was told they were) and sent to my claim examiner... Nothing. What in Hell is going on at Kaiser ** City?

OMG this is the worst company ever. To reach the provider you literally spend over 30 minutes on hold just to be told they can't take a message or they transfer you 5 times because no one knows who to take a message. Worst company ever!

October 9th 2016 - my daughter went to the Kaiser Vallejo ER for abdominal pain, was diagnosed with appendicitis and told it needed to come out. We were told that she was to be transferred by ambulance to Walnut Creek then left in a room for hours until the condition was so bad that her appendix had ruptured. They had forgotten to call the ambulance.

Jan-Feb 2017 My husband was having his eyelashes fall out and went in to see his DR. She ordered bloodwork then asked if he was gay because she said that syphilis was something that caused that and as per her- it's more common among gay people. Profiling at its worst.

5/8/2017 Pregnant, I was admitted to Vacaville ER with a severe migraine. Despite being listed in my chart as a medication I'm allergic to, the ER Dr fought to give me this medication and to offset the reaction suggested first giving me Benadryl. If my husband hadn't been there to stop him he was going to do this. They also took many vials of blood but no tests were ever run. 6/2017 Despite me asking repetitively about what blood tests I should have had done I am now 6 months pregnant and had my first pregnancy blood panel done 1 week ago, months later than I should have because no one ever ordered it.

First of all, I have been a patient at the Veterans Administration for 30 years -- Kaiser is much worse in every aspect of the game. Not making that up. 3 months to get appointments with PAIN specialists and other serious doctors like neurology and cardiology. I recently had been passing out/blacking out and falling in my bedroom and bathroom. Several times I was lucky I didn't die from my head hitting the bathtub and another the shower.

I went to visit my primary care doctor because I wasn't sure which specialist I should see. My PC doctor told me I should have gone to the emergency room because they would have done all the tests there in one evening -- instead, it's going to take you possibly months to get those appointments at Kaiser. Ok, it's a damn serious situation that could kill me and that's how they handle it? Good God. This should be enough information to get you not to join Kaiser or to drop them next open season.

I went to my first appointment which was ultra-sound for my neck arteries. The nurse there was great and she also told me that Kaiser has taken on 100,000 new patients this year -- thank you Obama Care -- and is laying off employees. She works 2 + more hours per day, into the night, because of the shortage of nurses. The lady at the blood lab who I've known for years told me the same thing. She mentioned it to me, I did not bring up the subject. They both agreed that Kaiser is opening themselves up for major lawsuits because of the time it takes to schedule appointments -- much longer than it takes me to schedule the same type of appointments at the VA. The phone/appointment system is much worse than any I've even dealt with. Again, much worse than the VA.

This is what happens when a liberal California company takes on a bunch of illegal and/or a bunch of non-paying patients. We actually pay figuratively and literally. Their customer service sucks! We keep getting billed for things we have paid for and have receipts for. We've never left a Kaiser facility without paying our co-pay. I think they do this to prey on older people who may not remember or keep records.

Today, I just got back from the cardiologist -- a much older, frail man who didn't even look at my records on the computer except my medications. The first thing he says is, "Do you want medicine?" I was thinking, "What the hell is wrong with me first." He wasn't sure. He looked up my VA medications on the computer (Kaiser also has the list) and he put them in his smartphone to look them up on the Internet. He told me one of them said that one of my medications COULD be causing the dizzy spells and blacking out. COULD? From the INTERNET? I told him I don't want any damn medicine until he finds out what is wrong. He said, "we could do a heart scan and stress test." COULD? I said, "I want both." So, I have to wait another month and two for appointments. My neurology appointment is 2.5 months away (from the time I made the appointment).

So, you can see why people are suing them. "You may have a serious problem that could kill you, but let's wait months to check it out." However, if you are an illegal alien or non-paying patient, you can go to the emergency room and get the tests right away. Folks, just the fact that I'm comparing them to the VA should be enough for you to drop these people in a heartbeat.

I know it's a lot to read and it's probably full of misspelled words and a lot of grammar mistakes. I am emotional and if I don't share this now I won't do it later because calm Carolina will take over and try to negotiate and make excuses for why this happened to me. On October of 2015 my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 36. In 2016 my best friend was also diagnosed with cancer. As you can imagine watching two beautiful and intelligent women you love and adore go through so much pain was very hard. I can't even put into words how your heart feels. My sister went months trying to get approval for a mammogram, after one of her clients was diagnosed with breast cancer and encouraged my sister to always be alert and know her body. She advised her not to take any change lightly. My sister had a small lump and knew in the back of her mind that it was not normal, she decided to do something about.

To this day she feels that she owes her life to not only God but to her client for encouraging her to go get a mammogram. In June 2016 I talked to my doctor and got approved for a mammogram. I never knew you had to have a referral from your doctor if you are not 40. I was bothered by that because, my sister was not 40 and she got it. It seemed a little ridiculous but I got a referral from my doctor and I was under the impression that I was ok to go every year now. On Friday the 26th I had lunch with my best friend, seen her was so amazing she didn't want anyone to see her. She has been going through a lot and cancer is doing the best it can to kick her butt. We talked a lot about what she was going through and about how she skipped a mammogram for one year and went she went in two years from her previous mammogram she was diagnosed with stage two cancer.

I went from not personally knowing anyone with breast cancer to the two closest people to me having it. On Sunday the 27th I am taking a shower and you better believe I am really checking, especially since my friend tells me she never felt anything because her lump was deep. I felt a small lump on my right side and thought to myself "It probably nothing". Being that I was a few days away from a year since I had a mammogram I called Kaiser to see if they can reach out to my doctor for an approval for a mammogram. I received a voicemail and an email with an appointment date and time for that same Wednesday the 31st. I arrived at Kaiser South Sacramento checked in filled the paper out. I waited to me called thinking I know it's nothing, but the other voice in my head "you never know."

When the tech called me and walked me in to the room I was nervous and scare not about the discomfort or the fact that my boobs are tiny and almost impossible to get in between the two plastics that will squeeze the you know what out of them, but of what will happen if I do have cancer? I am not brave, I have never been seriously sick and who will take care of my daughter? It's hard to explain how your mind goes crazy and you are just in a fog, unless you have been there. The tech confirmed all the information I had filled out, she gave me a gone and a wipe to clean my armpits since I had deodorant. She said she would be back in a few to do my mammogram.

When she got back she informed me that she would not be conducting a mammogram because my doctor had not felt anything in my last doctor’s appointment a few weeks back. That I would have to go to the women's clinic and have an exam that if they felt I need a mammogram that I could come back for it. I was so confused why are you asking me to do that? Didn't my doctor give me a referral? All she said was that it was protocol nothing she can do. I couldn't believe what she was saying. I was undressed for the waist up and sitting in a cold dark room. I usually don't cry easily but I felt it coming. She didn't care that I was going to break down.

I asked her for the paper I filled out when I checked in and for the receipt that prints out at checking. She rolled her eyes and said that is for me to keep. I was in a fog I couldn't believe what was happening I wanted to run and leave but I am not dressed. She just kept going on and on about protocol, I didn't care about protocol. I want to leave I probably yelled I don't remember. On my drive home I had to pull over I was so upset I didn't know what to do. I called my sister and my friend and vented and cried. This might not seem like anything big to some people but it was a big deal to me. I can pay to go to another facility and get a mammogram, I don't have a lot of extra money but could figured it out. What really bothers me is how many women have slipped through the cracks? How many women are made to believe that the doctor knows your body more than you?

I have had Kaiser since I was 16 years old. I gave birth to my daughter at Kaiser. I already put up with 10 to 15 minute doctor visits, but will not put up with this. I know this happens in other hospitals and not just at Kaiser. I know that me being upset is not going to change anything but I want to share what happened to me and encourage others to speak up.

I have filed a complaint with member services, I had not heard back from them as of today. I called to follow up and requested a letter explaining why they refused to conduct a mammogram even though it runs in my family. I also request to be refunded for a weight management program I joined since I really don't want to step into a Kaiser facility unless I have too. The lady at member services that I had the pleasure of speaking with today destroyed any hope I had of rekindling my relationship with Kaiser. She made me feel worst. Open enrollment can't come soon enough. Thank you Kaiser for making me feel like I don't matter.

As a new customer, they were already overcharging me an extra $300. After several hours wasted on the phone nothing was achieve. I've learned, pretty much they do and charge what they want! However they want! They have overcharged me and all they do is pass the ball to other agency, saying "Talk to them not us." They denied any wrongdoing. And yes, canceled my policy with them.

I live in CO, front range, a lot of people. And Kaiser has ONE facility in every town. One in Denver, Boulder, Longmont, etc. Thus I make appointments weeks out in advance. Which isn't terrible if you are flexible. But when you have something not so good on and need further testing each test is ANOTHER 3-4 weeks. So I sit in unknown and I tell them I will drive to ANY of them but does have to be after work but only 9-5 availability M-F. Which okay most doctor offices are like that BUT most insurance companies have 10+ facilities in each town. One Nurse Practitioner sympathized with me and said, "I know, and it's even worse around holidays because doctors all want a week off." So 4th July is here and still I wait and wait before I can get testing before I can make an action plan.

Short Hand Version. - Limited facilities per town (ex in Colorado 1 in Denver, 1 in Boulder, etc). - Limited hours despite having limited facilities. - No phone number to call your doctors office directly, every time you have to call the corporate number and press numbers and talk to operators before you can talk to your office. - Charged for things I was unaware of (not crazy prices, but please tell me if my insurance isn't covering something). - DISLIKED my physician, seemingly not caring, attentive, patient and yet because of limited times available somehow I'm stuck with her again. - General feelings of somewhat helpless and frustrated because of my limited options so I wait 3-4 weeks at a time in between Testing/appointments because of limited availability.

- My boyfriend's a nurse and has seen patients not transferred to Kaiser facilities so their insurance will cover it. And these people were not necessarily stable either, speaks to our still shitty healthcare, and the VERY Flawed kaiser company. I would seriously pay more per month to never ever have to experience this again.

If I could give it 0 stars I would. They keep sending me the bill that I paid long time ago by credit card, and neither multiple phone calls, nor sending mail helped to resolve the issue. Now they are threatening me with the collection agency. That's insanity. One phone call should have been enough to resolve an issue like that. And that's not the only issue, it's just the one I am still fighting with at the moment, although I am no longer their client, and I will never ever chose them as my insurance provider again, and I will warn as many people as possible on all the review sites that I can find, to stay away from them.

The actual care is actually pretty good. Administratively, however, they are the absolute most incredibly incompetent in my 66 years of experience. Most recently, resulting from a colossal by mail prescription refill debacle, Kaiser became "concerned" that I was out of and thus not taking my medication. They took to calling my WIFE via robo-calls to alert her to the issue. After calling and sending complaints via their online system, zero progress. I have assured them that I am still in possession of all my faculties and have and am taking my prescription properly and would they PLEASE stop this crap ASAP. The calls have continued. No evidence of customer service or anyone competent on the administrative end of Kaiser. Seriously considering jumping ship.

So, we've been with Kaiser for about three years total now. Honestly when you go into the actual facility everything is nice and great. People are friendly and the service is excellent. However ONE hospital visit will break your budget. Three and you're out of your mind. I had the Kaiser Platinum insurance for the entire family, and honestly I thought we were pretty well covered. Any hospital visit should be 250 dollar copay and that's it.

When my son was being born my wife had to go to the hospital on several occasions. Three in a month, and none of it was covered. Instead of being run through both insurances (her Cigna, and my Kaiser) it ended up that Kaiser completely washed their hands of the situation. Every time I call they say that the claim is processing, this was in June 2016 and it's processing until now, June 2017. The hospital bills came directly to me. Only Cigna paid their portion, on each bill that arrives you see Kaiser's portion, and then Kaiser saying they won't pay. Not only did they not pay, but each time we had to call to get approval to be seen, then we had to drive about 45 minutes away to the hospital they had a contract with, and even after all of that, it didn't help.

I left my job about a week ago, and when I did ALL OF THE CLAIMS came back denied, saying I was no longer a Kaiser-covered individual. This is ridiculous and I'm still dealing with it. If you're young and have no problems, Kaiser might be the way to go. If you have a family, or you want peace of mind, definitely don't pick Kaiser.

A terrible experience for my whole family. My granddaughter went in for a surgery and once released, within less than a half hour, started bleeding from the surgery performed; they never even checked her properly before she was released. My daughter had to rush her back to the ER and they had to do another procedure to stop the bleeding. They also found out that the pain medication was only then given in a small bottle for about two to three days. My daughter (mother of my granddaughter) tried to get more and the person they contacted (Monica) called the prescription into the wrong facility. It took too many hours to resolve it (during this process with my daughter calling many times, etc.) while my granddaughter was still in a lot of pain (without the medication that was called in early, but was not resolved until many hours later).

Once this is whole matter was finally handled, my son-in-law tried to get a hold of Kathy **, the manager of the nurses and when Kathy finally called him back, she did not even really care about the situation, but said to my son-in-law, and this is a quote from him, “Your daughter has her medication now, right?” Like that helped? It was not a good call and my son-in-law felt like nothing would be done or ever change. My son-in-law then also left two messages for Gail **, Kathy’s boss and the administrator of Kaiser, but he never got the call back to this day.

My son-in-law also spoke with a person named Armando at the pharmacy (in Bostonia) and he said he would help (seemed nice), but no one in our family even got a callback. My son-in-law also asked Armando to send a message to Gail ** stating he still wanted to still speak with her... but again, she never called back. For my granddaughter and our whole family, this was an awful experience. I let them know they should switch hospitals as soon as possible. Again, a terrible experience. My granddaughter is still trying to fully recover; this is the least I could do is to report what occurred so others can be aware of how they handle things.

The nurses on the ICU intensive care unit are very lazy. My mom's ventilator popped out and the alarm went off for 7 mins. I waited for someone to rush in as she was beginning to desat but no one ever came they just walked past her room and paid no attention that the ventilator had come off.

The customer service, health records, and referral department. I was transferred 5 times, each time they asked my son's information, and keep putting me through hoop. The rep with the name Kemnesha ** was very rude and disrespectful. She likes to cut me off.

Charging me 8k for 15 minutes doctor visit just for delivery doctor (normal delivery with healthy baby). Billed total 22k for whole delivery which was normal. Called CS rep department to know for what service they are charging 8k. CS rep said they cannot tell as doctor put the charges. I asked, "Can I/you talk to doctor to know why she is charging high," CS rep told me that they/or I cannot talk to doctor. Looks fraud to me. I asked rep to put this bill in dispute. Rep said they cannot put this bill in dispute. Rep couldn't find any record for my complain about this bill month back.

Should you trust and keep a doctor that doesn't listen, doesn't remember or review crucial information from your medical file each time you have a new appointment, doesn't coordinate with other specialists, recommends procedures even you know will be superfluous and not help provide any more diagnostic data, doesn't care about or examine your overall health, has no knowledge of/denies holistic approaches to treating underlying conditions such as dietary changes, supplements, etc, has no respect for your time, suggests invasive and unnecessary life changing procedures in an insensitive manner, leaves you in pain from her rough handling of an invasive procedure and walks away with no aftercare or offering of pain medication, has other reviews online where women sustained uterine damage and traumatic births in her care? Absolutely not unless you're nuts!

These are the modus operandi of many doctors at Kaiser Permanente, not just the OB GYN's. I could also go on and on about the primary care physician I was assigned to, but I've wasted enough time struggling to get decent care. It's the last straw for me!

I have been happy with Group Health for 29 years. Never had a problem. I have a policy through the Federal Employees. This year, without a clue that Group Health was for sale, I signed for my policy I get every year. I paid for Group Health for a year. Several months into 2017 Kaiser Permanente bought Group Health. So many people conveyed their condolences telling me what a corrupt outfit they were and how hard they were to deal with. Well, I just went in for a total hip replacement and see exactly what they meant. They now assign you a nursing home if you live alone and are unable to care for yourself after major surgery. The one they assigned me to was miles and miles on the other side of town.

It took several calls and much gut wrenching stress before they would even ok the SNF. Every communication with them is an uncertain outcome. They are not for their customers, sometimes actually against them. I never had any stress with Group Health. These people are liars and feel no remorse for lying to you. I was assigned to Manor Care in Spokane. I contracted an infection in the wound while at the SNF due to neglect. This was my third hip replacement and I was taking short walks down the hall to build up my strength and endurance. They told me if I could walk without an aid then I was ok to go home!!!

My wound began to drain in massive amounts, soaking my mattress. The home refused to change the bandage or my bedding regularly and I was forced to lay in the stinking discharge throughout the night and into the day. They always claimed they did not have anyone to change the sheets or bandage, or they ran out of bedding, etc. They forced all of my therapy into one day the day before I was discharged. I had been there two and a half weeks and only had 20 min therapy in the morning. No one would come to walk with me (their rules) so I was so weak. Then the last day before discharge they made me walk the halls and the stairs for 1 1/2 hrs in the morning and the exercises in the afternoon. I have never been so sore and unable to move! The therapist were wonderful, it was the director that forced these weird rules.

All of this to say each time I called Kaiser they said they had nothing to do with my discharge, it was the SNF. The SNF insisted it was Kaiser refusing to pay. Even with the wound in an area I was unable to reach they insisted I could do it at home myself!!! They gave my surgeon the runaround, "Have him submit the paperwork", etc. Then they would say, "No your primary care is who has to fill out the paperwork." Meanwhile, they refused to pay so I had to go home. Now I am scheduled for surgery to open the wound, clean it and staple it up again. Kaiser actually has stood in the way of my rehabbing from the surgery to lead a productive life.

I am writing a letter to the Congress and the Insurance Commissioner. Kaiser Permanente are the very worst people to do business with. This is our health and well being and they are playing God!!! How scary is that?! I plan to be a crusade against the likes of Kaiser Permanente, in the legislature, in the public voicing of my story and what we all have to look forward to as we become weaker and more vulnerable and have to place the outcome of our health in their hands.

I been with Kaiser since 2007 and why I stay with me is beyond me. Any more I complain when there is a problem but to tell you the truth when you complain to Member Services little or nothing gets done about it. All they do is assign a case manager then she will call you and leave a voicemail telling what she is going to do and look for a letter in the mail in the next few weeks. Most times when you get that letter all it basically says is that, "After our review of your case we have decided that this case is now closed." In other words, nothing is being done and who cares about your problem.

Most recently in the last 7 months I have developed a varicocele vein in my private area. It's a large vein that goes to your testicles and the penis. The vein becomes damaged and it leaks blood into that area. The leaked blood then pools and collects in that area and becomes toxic. That toxic blood can become infected and maybe cause problems in other areas of your body. Now I have terrible burning, stinging and pain in that area and I can hardly sleep due to this.

So I went to the ER about it last December 2016. That's when they referred me to Urology dept at Panorama City. I saw first this Dr ** where I was treated rudely and he and I argued for a while then apologized then he only said take 500mg ** (which gave me a liver problem, made me feel sick) and take warm sitz baths which did not help at all.

Time goes on now and this thing is really bothering me. So I go back weeks later and see another urologist named Dr **. And right from the start he had an attitude for me, very unfriendly. He starts off by saying, "And what are we here for today?" Then he says in a sarcastic manner, "Oh yeah, you are here for a second opinion." He talks to me a while then he leave the room for like almost 10 minutes and I just sit there.

He finally comes back and seems to be even unfriendlier than before. He then was talking to me in an unfriendly, condescending manner. I think he went to talk to Dr ** about me and also to pull up my file on the computer. He then started saying to me, "Oh I see you been to the ER a lot in the past year and a half and most of those visits were pain related." Why is this guy pulling up my file, that has nothing to do with this varicocele vein that they found when they did the sonogram on that area.

He then started to talk to me like a lecture and say, "Well I would not get any surgeries. Most surgeries fail and make things worse than before." He also said "And I don't advise you get any surgery on that hernia you have either." He then proceeds to tell me in a rude manner, he says, "Oh and another reason I won't authorize any surgery on this because if it goes bad you will sue us for malpractice and we can't have that!" What kind of rude, disrespectful doctors does Kaiser employ that they are allowed to talk to sick patients in an abusive manner such as this?!?

They tried to get me to go out to Woodland Hills now to go see that Urology Dept about this. To be honest I don't want to go to Kaiser Urology anymore. They are all rude in that dept. So I found out the UCLA Medical Center has dept that specializes in vein surgeries and they have a good record of success so I want to have it done there but after many dealings with Kaiser Member Services they flat out refuse to refer me to have this done. It is all about money with Kaiser. If I go out of network poor Kaiser will lose some of its all precious money. To heck with my health, that seems to not matter at all to them!

Meanwhile the clock is ticking on this varicocele vein problem I have. The pain and suffering I am going through with this is tremendous. I am almost certain there is infection now in there. Infection left inside a person's body can end up killing them. I don't want to die just because Kaiser will not refer me to UCLA for this surgery that is needed. Do the right thing Kaiser before it is too late and give me the referral that I am asking for.

Every time I interact with Kaiser, I feel like I'm lost in the post apocalyptic world of Brazil (movie directed by Terry Gilliam). Take a number, transfer to 3 different operators, go to the other website, we lost your number, fill out this paper work, stand in line. I'm a number and I get a total of 10 minutes with my overworked doctor who can't recall who I am. Kaiser is one of the best arguments to revamp our crumbling healthcare system. I just want to feel like a person when I interact with my care provider - I don't think that's a lot to ask for.

Waste of time and waste of co pay. I have been to PCP and noticed that I have been provided wrong diagnosis many times. Then finally after a lot of time wasted they refer you to specialist when you have been asking from the start. I need to see a dermatologist but they are asking me to go see a primary care before who will then make a determination if I should see a specialist or not. And usually PCP will not tell you anything you don't really know with all the info available and a little research. Waste of time and waste of money for busy moms.

I've never found a mainstream pharmacy I like. Kaiser pharmacies are far superior. Very accommodating, prices are great, although they don't have any rewards programs.

A test was supposedly done on 2/15/17, along with other testing that was not disclosed and was not authorized by myself or my wife. A day we did not even come in to the office. I am being charged/extorted for a total $2,784.70 worth of testing, one result which was never advised to us (81220- CFTR Gene Analysis Common Variants) and was charged $1928.30 for a single test! The terrible service from the doctor, nurses and the ridiculous billing came at the worst possible time. My wife is pregnant with our first child and instead of focusing on our new family and joy, we are faced with Kaiser trying to leave us poor and homeless by blackmailing us with outrageous bills and costs that were unknown at the time of testing. The stress from these bills are causing further complications for my pregnant wife and we were forced to seek other medical coverage so we do not accrue more costs.

There are many reasons to give 1 or even negative stars for this business if you happen to be a patient at Kaiser Permanente. I just can't wait until the next enrollment time so that I can switch to something else. I gave 1 star because that's the worst you can here. Anyway, out of many reasons I could give them negative reviews let me list a few here. (Which I can remember right now.)

Poor work ethics of the doctors who work at this facility. They never care for their patients. I wonder if they make more by rescheduling you for ridiculous unnecessary things and making you visit them often. They like to try all the different types of medications in their pharmacy. They might get commission there as well. In the last three years with them, I already tried 4 different doctors, none seem to care for me at all. Often times, it does not worth going to them. You spend so much time scheduling an appointment and waiting for them to see you in the empty room etc. but they would come in and out in a minute or less. You feel like you are at the super check out in a fast food restaurant or a store.

Once, at my annual physical (I am not sure if it means anything for the doctors there), doctor came in and out in less than 3 minutes. I had a few questions to ask from him but he never came back. I went to his office to see if I could ask my questions. He was staring at his computer and playing some card game. I said, "Can I ask a question?" He stared at me and said, "Why didn't you ask while I was in the office? Make another appointment with the nurse". I said, "I didn't know you'd spend less than 3 minutes for an annual physical check up. I thought you forgot something and coming back in." I already frustrated by the service I got and the attitude of that doctor, so I decided to leave instead. At that point he wouldn't answer my health questions with care anyway.

They never value your time. Do they understand what does appointment mean!!! Answer is No! You might call or sign up online and make an appointment, then you show up 15 minutes before your scheduled time. After check in and pay, you most likely wait about 30-90 minutes. Then, you get called by a nurse and she puts you in a room and check your temperature and blood pressure etc. Then, she tells you the doctor is on his way. You wonder if the doctor is coming from another state or from another planet. Seriously? Yes, seriously! I bet you wait minimum 30 minutes there as well (if you are lucky). This could be easily be an hour long wait.

Then, that supermarket check out machine (your doctor) comes in and out in less than 5 minutes even you have big issues. You probably been in the place 2-3 hours total to see that robot doc for 3 minutes. I want to say to all of the doctors there and their bosses, CEOs or whomever. When you make appointment just SHOW UP ON TIME! If your doctors' time is valuable, so does the patients', especially when they are in pain and need help. Patients need doctor's help. Does not mean the doctors can abuse their patients' time and rights. Remember doctors, you do get compensated for your services just like any other professionals do (actually you are compensated much better than other professionals).

Slow and unresponsive. I recently had a request for my doctor to fill out a simple form from my work. It took about a day to respond for his office but he said the Information Release Department will be faxing it. I waited but that didn't happen for a week. I called many times, no one answered instead it said agents are busy helping other patients, really?! **. Finally, I emailed them and shared my frustration. They responded to my email and sent me my form after 3 days. Hello!!! How long does take to fax a piece of paper? Do anyone work here?

Getting referred to an outside specialist is a nightmare. I was frustrated after going back to my doctor a few times for the same issue. I was tired of being his experiment project or money machine. Every time I go he would say, "Let's try this medicine or that medicine". Whatever, I am not your high school project Sir. I finally told him to refer me to a specialist. Well, he did and took about a week to get me referred to some specialist. Gosh! After another week.

I got a phone call from the Specialist Office for a consultation after one month. What? Yes, one month. I have been dealing with my pain and trying to see the specialist doctor but it has been taking me too long. I have already been trying to get a referral for about two weeks. Now, wait another month for the consultation. And if I need any treatment will they ask me to come back in the next life. Seriously?! It is because another Kaiser Permanente affiliate? Yes, because they would find the cheapest and worst places as your referral.

Gosh, I can not stop complaining about KP. I hope some government body will do something about them or some other business get them out of business. I hate to think about them. I wish I had money to build a hospital and provide 5-star service to every patient. I think health care organizations should seriously study their business - they provide services!!! And get compensated very well as well!!! But has the worst customer service.

Compare Health Insurance