Call Now Toll Free
Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.70/5

Kaiser Permanente Insurance Call Now Toll Free (855) 651-9886 Compare Quotes

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now
Call Now Toll Free

Kaiser Permanente Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaiser Permanente Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaiser Permanente?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

I've had Kaiser as my insurance for three years now. The first two years were good. Professional doctors and good coverage. Then the third year hit. My husband and I were going through some health issues that required help outside of KP. KP referred us to the clinic we needed to go through and after that everything went downhill. There has been so many horrible experience. I don't know where to start...

1) The worst part of the whole experience has been trying to get test results back. The ordering doctor (outside of KP) is not getting any of the tests results he ordered. So I, the patient am having to call KP, check the app multiple times a day, and go as far as to e-mail my husband's urologist and have him send me the results via IM which I then screenshot and send to the ordering doctor. ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS that the patient is having to do all of this. They didn't even call to give us the test results!

2) Every time I call KP I am transferred 2-3 times after an original HOUR WAIT. Then, once someone finally picks up I have had to re-explain our circumstances to each person who picks up the phone. Every time I have to call KP it is guaranteed to be a lesson in frustration.

3) The coverage plan for anything OUTSIDE the KP buildings is horrible. Meaning 0 coverage.

I am so disappointed in KP. I pay a lot of money out of every check and don't appreciate the rudeness, lack of empathy, and overall absolutely horrible customer service. I will NOT be choosing KP for my healthcare again in November and HIGHLY, HIGHLY encourage anyone that has a health issue more than routine medical care to NOT choose KP as their health insurance.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

I was a patient of Kaiser Permanente for years until I finally decided to terminate this insurance. I have many stories of ineffective and limited treatment I received there, but the last one finally got me leave Kaiser for good. To make a long story short (and this one was long as it took almost 4 years), I went to Kaiser with a tiny wart on my finger. After 4 years, I ended up with a gigantic wart and Kaiser still continued to provide me with the same conventional treatment. They were not going to offer me anything else. Needless to say, I left them and went to see the Center for Dermatology at St. Vincent. After only 2 treatments the wart was gone, but none of the treatments I received there were what Kaiser was willing to offer. If another doctor asks who was my doctor before, this speaks for itself. I wish I could download the pictures for comparison, anyone would be in shock. I will never go back to Kaiser and I recommend anyone to avoid it at all costs.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

Please, please, please beware when you visit Kaiser. Ask exactly what tests the clinical staff are performing and how much their tests cost. When my blood was drawn for a routine checkup, Kaiser performed an additional procedure on my blood without my knowledge or approval based on an order from a physician I have never met. They then sent me a $5,000 bill.

Nobody at Kaiser could tell me specifically what procedure had been performed. Eventually, I learned that a hematologist, I had never even spoken with, conducted a study regarding my genetic bleeding disorder. The report appeared on the Kaiser portal weeks later. I appealed the charge, not covered under my high-deductible plan, and Kaiser denied my request without an appropriate response. I am now communicating with lawyers and the media. However, I am also concerned about the wider community.

If you do not have resources and you have a high deductible plan with Kaiser, you have to be a strong advocate for yourself. If your physician wants to send you for any tests, get all costs upfront. Baltimore, please be careful. It is a scary world when a company can take your blood, send it to another company for analysis without your knowledge, and then bill you nearly $5,000 without a satisfactory explanation. I feel violated, yet I am also concerned for people who cannot advocate for themselves. I will be speaking with the media and everyone else I know about this unconscionable act. Protect yourselves, your friends, and your families.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

Kaiser sent my $70 bill to a collection agency during a pandemic. In the last few months, I paid $60 toward $130 bill. None of those payments are reflected in the online bill I can see. The paper bill shows a different amount. How am I supposed to know the exact amount when the two don't match and payments made are not accurately reflected? Thrive is a misnomer. They're greedy and don't care how their greed effects their members. One can't thrive under that kind of greed. I have two great doctors (it took me awhile to find a good PCP, but I have to drive across town to see her because one's I've seen closer to where I live were awful), but I won't stay with an insurance company that is based on greed.

Original review: July 7, 2020

Overall Kaiser insurance gets the job done but with average doctors. I've been with Kaiser for about a year and have had issues with every doctor I've seen. They are not very knowledgeable or skilled. It appears that Kaiser hires substandard doctors to cut their costs. For example, I asked my main doctor to refer me to a chiropractor, he said he does not believe in chiropractic and referred me instead to a physical medicine doctor who told me the same thing. The thing is that Kaiser provides chiropractic care and these doctors are stopping patients from getting it. Then, after doing some digging I discovered that I did not need their referral for chiropractic care, I could just self refer. Someone is apparently not paying attention.

Another fun experience was when I went to get a cortisone shot in my thumb for arthritis. The doctor had to stick a hypodermic needle in my thumb joint four times before he got it right! Just one time is painful, but four is torture. Another experience by an average doctor was with a Podiatrist. I had an ingrown nail. All the doctor had to do was use a scalpel and cut the top of the nail off. He said he could not do it, which means he is not skilled enough to cut a nail. Instead he said he could remove the nail entirely. Permanently remove my toenail for an ingrown nail problem, really? Here's a good one. When I went for the referral to the Podiatrist, the doctor put in my medical record that I had an upper respiratory infection. What? How is that possible unless my big toe is sicker than I thought. I think you get the picture now.

Original review: June 22, 2020

Kaiser Permanente is not worth it.. We have the insurance through SD County employee.. All I say for my experience I rather get different health insurance than keep paying more than 1k a month. It's okay if the service is good but it's not..Yes, they are good employers to their employees but not to their patients. For example, I've been trying to get an appointment for 6 months due to a pain I've been having but they still did not wanna see me due to a covid19 but this pain and feeling that I'm having I feel that it's getting worse... They won't take me in not unless it's covid19 symptoms or related to it... I am very disappointed???? So, they don't accept other sickness just coronavirus? The **?

Original review: June 18, 2020

Kaiser decided to make all their dialysis patients to pay 20% for their treatment. Their claim is it’s costing them too much. Wow! Now especially for ESRD patients they are forced to go into another health plan uprooting everything and there is no guarantee with the other plan what you will even get leaving you to possibly pay a high premium. Those who have no income or have employers paying maybe in good position. Then you have those on SOcial Security and they annually make too much annually. Sad, all about the money.

You got Fresenius that charges like $160K for their services which leaves me to question why so much? I have my sis in a good position and she is thriving doing good. We pay nothing until NOW and I would have to try and figure out a way to change my schedule and my life to start all over again by changing everything. If anyone out there is going through a similar situation I would love to hear your response. To hear my story in detail will make you cringe. Shame on Kaiser for not caring more about their patients. I guess the almighty dollar wins. Blessings!??? ❤️

Original review: June 12, 2020

I’ve been with Kaiser 16 years. Yes used to like them but something has changed. They are now profit driven and say no to most reasonable requests to save money. They pressure their doctors to save money and you aren’t allowed access to your medical record unless you remain a member. After 16 years, I will be switching plans to a Cigna at open enrollment.

Original review: June 10, 2020

I’ve been dumbfounded by how awful Kaiser is at communicating. The doctors office seems to have no current information regarding their coverage (I was told I was insured when I wasn’t on multiple occasions). Letters informing me about lapses in coverage arrive weeks too late (no emails, no phone call) and they are doing everything in their considerable power to shirk paying my emergency medical bills. Excuses buried in their policy are there to screw you when you’re in trouble. This company is the kind of operation that will wind you up bankrupt and homeless from medical bills.

Original review: May 12, 2020

Didn’t take responsibility of their mistake taking my kids out of the insurance without notice. Kaiser took my kids out of my family plan, and left my husband and myself with insurance. Now I’m stuck with a 3000 dollars bill for one day of service. Alana was the representative of Kaiser.

Kaiser Permanente author review by Joseph Burns

Kaiser Permanente is a unique health care management program that is located mainly in the western United States. In California, Colorado and seven other states, patients who have Kaiser coverage get health care services, including hospital stays, at Kaiser health facilities.

• Offers low-cost health plans: Kaiser offers several different levels of service with varying premiums, deductibles and co-pays.

• Kaiser offers all services itself: This company provides health care services as well as health care coverage, making it easier to get needed services and file claims.

• Online application process: It’s easy to get a quote and sign up for Kaiser.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Kaiser Permanente Insurance Company Information