Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
1.54/5

3700 S. Stonebridge Drive, Dallas, TX

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

United American Insurance Reviews

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

Tremendous! That's the first word that comes to mind for United American. I had never heard of the company until my agent recommended it. I am thankful that she pointed me in the right direction. I've had the plan since July of 2018 and couldn't be happier; no networks and the freedom to see the doctors of my choice. I signed up for Plan F at a great rate---and no increases so far. With Plan F, I have no co-pays or deductibles---and all of my claims are processed automatically and timely.

United American Insurance response

Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience with United American! We're happy that our plans and coverage are meeting your needs and appreciate you letting us know how we're doing. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

I have been with United American for my medicare supplement since I turned 65 in October of 2015 and they have have been there for me every step of the way. With this policy I am able to see any doctor of my choice with no questions asked! No referrals or hassle, I go anywhere I want. During my time with United American they have never increased my rates, they actually reduced my rate in November of 2017. I was in shock to see a insurance company lower rates. I would highly recommend anyone who is looking for Medicare coverage to consider a Supplement plan with United American.

United American Insurance response

Keith, that’s what we’re here for! We’re happy to know we’re providing the best service possible. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we’re doing and we sincerely appreciate you choosing United American!

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

My husband and I signed up with Medicare Supplement policies from United American back in Jan. 2018 and since then we have had a super positive experience. Being with a supplement as opposed to an advantage plan gives us the freedom to go see any doctor we wish. United American picks up the balance of the 20% for all our claims. They pay the bills in a timely manner and we have had no issues with them to this point. Our agent Devin highly recommended them and we are glad he did. His website can help guide others. www.devinexplainsmedicare.com

United American Insurance response

Thank you for reaching out to United American! We’re glad we delivered the excellent coverage and service you deserve and expect. We sincerely appreciate you choosing United American and look forward to serving you in the future!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I have had United American since 2015. Having no knowledge with medicare and the options, I interviewed several different companies. Devin **, came from United American. I explained I was not sure what state I was going to move to and needed to have insurance that was nationwide, not for emergencies only. I also wanted a company that I didn't need permission slips (referrals) to go to a specialist. I also said I didn't want to have constant co-payments. I bought my policy from him. Since that date I have had two surgeries and several minor medical issues. To this date I have not had any billing problems. Whenever, I call him he responds immediately. I have recommended several other people with him and I know they haven't had any issues either.

I rarely ever do reviews but after seeing all the negative comments I felt I had to. When selecting a company you need to understand what you are buying. I did my due diligence. Yes, my premiums aren't the cheapest but I also have great coverage and so far my premiums have not increased. In fact, because we moved my premium went down.

United American Insurance response

It’s always a pleasure serving and protecting families! We appreciate you letting us know how we’re doing and thank you for choosing United American Insurance!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

It's funny reading these reviews how a lot of them don't make any sense. One person said that she changed her policy from a Medicare Supplement to a PPO. If you make the change thru Medicare and don't tell the insurance company that you made the change of course they're going to deduct your account and send you a bill that's what all insurance companies do. Yes, the customer service department can be slow, but at least it's here in the United States and not in the Philippines.

Unfortunately, some agents trying to impress their clients give out the wrong number for customer service and give out the agent only number. Those girls can't and won't answer your question it's your agent that has an active agent number is the only one that can. The Life ins side of things is crazy. if you notice that you're going to pay more in than you get out, take a paid up policy for the amount that you have and walk away. If you paid 8,000 into a 5,000 dollar policy then that's your fault for being stupid. United American might have its faults but most of these reviews sound like lazy people not being proactive in their own life's and now they're blaming others for their laziness.

United American Insurance response

Thank you for your feedback, John. We always encourage our customers to reach out to their agent but if a response isn't given in a timely manner our customers can always call our United American Customer Service number at 1-800-331-2512. They will be happy to help or direct you to someone who can.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United American Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

My mom and I are on the line to discuss correspondence that we received from United American Insurance Company. After being on the initial hold prior to speaking to a rep for 12 minutes, a rep comes on the line, I detail my request in less than 60 seconds and she has placed me on hold now for 45+ minutes. She has not come back to the line or anything. I have never experienced anything like this... I'm actually typing this review while I'm still holding. This is unacceptable. I will have to hang up, call back to get my answer, send a formal complaint to United American and BBB. This is unheard of. Please don't waste your time with this company.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

I purchased a supplement for my me and my wife from UA in Florida and when we needed to use it UA was there for me. They paid my claim in just a couple days. Easy to use online claim processing. Highly recommend.

United American Insurance response

Thank you for your review, Alan! Our goal is to provide affordable supplemental financial protection through a process that's easy for our valued customers. Your satisfaction is our top priority and we look forward to serving you and your wife for years to come. Thank you for choosing United American!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

My husband and I both enrolled in March 2019. First of all when the claims started coming in to them we received a plethora of mail from these folks. Every claim they wanted to verify it was not due to a pre-existing condition. Even things like imagining bills. Our doctor had to fill out about 25 or 30 forms. I got letters saying they were reviewing the claims. Finally they started approving the claims and were applying the payable amounts to the deductible. When my husband got pneumonia and sepsis that added a lot to the deductible, then he broke his ankle and had surgery followed by 20 days in rehab and now he is in the hospital getting PT three times a day.

This month they only took out the premium for my policy and they state they have voided his policy with a notation that they are refunding the premiums paid. It took 7 months for them to decide that something was inaccurate on his application. Funny that coincides with him reaching his $2,300 deductible. Also, they never notified us that his policy had been voided. Now, of course, my husband won't qualify for a different company due to new pre-existing conditions. Also they will not even tell his policy was voided, I have to send a letter by snail mail to get that. In the meantime, open enrollment slips away. Steer clear of these people.

United American Insurance response

Janice, please accept our sincere apology for the claims situation you've encountered with United American. Providing excellent service to our customers is a top priority for us and we're sorry we did not provide that for you. If you still have questions regarding your husband's coverage please call our customer service number at 1-800-331-2512 and a representative will assist you. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I have had a United American Medicare Supplement now since 2012. It was one of the best decisions I ever made. I was previously with a Medicare Advantage plan through Humana and what a nightmare that was. I was never able to see my doctor, I was always having to get referrals, and they made getting bills paid a complete hassle. I got into United American through my agent Devin ** and he explained to me that going with a supplement would allow Medicare to be primary and that I would be able to visit any hospital, doctor, or specialist nationwide without any referrals or hassle. Boy was he correct. I took a Supplement Plan F which is the best available plan and I have been able to see any doctor I want and United American has paid the bills for all my medical procedures. I would highly recommend them to any senior who is looking for Medicare coverage. I would recommend visiting my agent's website. www.devinexplainsmedicare.com.

United American Insurance response

Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience with United American Insurance! We appreciate you choosing UA and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

First, they tell you when you sign up, your policy cost will never increase. LIE. Mine has more than doubled since I took it out 18 yrs ago! Now my daughter is having to help me financially so we look into it. After FIVE calls, I keep getting told I have the wrong department. They can't give me the number, but will have this dept. call ME back. Each time it turns out they are not with the dept I need (LONG TERM CARE) WHICH HAS BEEN STATED EXPLICITLY! One more return call and I'm going to cancel. They keep pushing me off on the next person!

I went with this company because my mother had been with them in her older years and got excellent service (as far as I knew) I even had a sales rep call on me to sit down and GO OVER THE POLICY. I thought I had "assisted living" and was told no when I needed it and inquired about it - only "nursing home". I'm just not so stupid I would forget a thing like that because I saw my mother go through without LTC help and what it cost her! I WOULD DEFINITELY SAY STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY... I'm going to turn them into the insurance boards.

United American Insurance response

Janet, please accept our sincere apology for the unacceptable service you received in your latest transaction with United American. Providing excellent service to our customers is a top priority for us and we're sorry we did not provide that for you. Please email us your name, the reason for your inquiry, policy #, phone # and the best time to call to eservicecenter@unitedamerican.com. We'll have a supervisor contact you. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

United American Insurance expert review by Joseph Burns

United American began in 1947 as a one-man enterprise. Today, it is a national health care insurer based in Texas.

• Several Medicare plans: Senior citizens will appreciate being able to choose between a variety of Medicare plans; they can choose the plan that best meets their needs.

• Critical illness and cancer plans: Consumers who cannot work due to injury or serious illness can get critical illness coverage, which offers cash benefits for the duration of a disability.

• Short-term and supplemental insurance: Consumers can short-term insurance while waiting for their permanent insurance to take effect.

• Specialized insurance: United American specializes in Medicare and supplemental insurance, meaning those who are under 65 may not find plans that meet their needs, in part because most plans are geared toward seniors and those who just need a supplement to other health insurance.

• Plan limits: Due to the nature of its insurance plans, United American doesn’t offer much in the way of coverage for routine health care visits. Plans typically cover hospital visits and other emergencies.

• Best for: Senior citizens

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

United American Insurance Company Information