3700 S. Stonebridge Drive, Dallas, TX

4.8/5 (90 ratings)

About United American Insurance

United American Insurance was founded in 1947 on four core values: stability, service, quality and commitment. Today, United American Insurance offers life insurance, cancer and critical illness insurance and Medicare Supplement Insurance policies. The premiums for its whole life policies never increase. The company works with local and home office agents to sell policies.

Pros

• Nationwide coverage
  • Strong critical illness policy
  • Several Medicare supplement choices

Cons

• Limited selection of policies
  • No online or live support

Bottom Line

United American offers Medicare Supplement Insurance and has limited policy choices for other insurance types, including life insurance and supplemental cancer insurance. It's available all throughout the U.S.

Top United American Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We’ve been happy with United American. Every time I take my mother somewhere, United American is accepted no matter where it is, and I don’t have to deal with referrals. Anything ...

Verified

I’ve been with United for about 30 years… They’re just a wonderful company and I will have them for the rest of my life. I love them. They take care of whatever if there’s any nee...

What is United American?

United American is a nationwide insurance company that offers Medicare Supplement Insurance, life insurance and supplemental cancer, accident and critical illness policies. Because its Medicare Supplement Insurance is accepted by all providers who take Medicare, it has no provider network. Policyholders can use United American in any state.

United American offers guaranteed renewal for Medicare supplemental policies as long as you pay the monthly premium on time. Its accident policy provides either a lump-sum payment or hospital stay coverage for up to 25 weeks. Its cancer and critical illness policies feature a lump sum for medical expenses at the patient’s discretion. Its critical illness policy is a good option for those with a personal or family history of major illness.

How does United American work?

United American offers insurance to groups and individuals in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Its local agents work with customers to select appropriate and affordable coverage. It offers individual Medicare Supplement Insurance, life insurance and supplemental policies for cancer, accident or critical illness, as well as group retiree health policies for employees and unions.

The company offers Medicare supplement policies A, B, D, G, K, L, N, C and F, but plans C and F are available only to those eligible for Medicare prior to 2020.

United American rates

United American’s supplemental Medicare policy costs vary from state to state and according to individual factors (e.g., gender and age). While you can request a customized rate, in general, monthly costs range from $80 to $200. Plans with copays or high deductibles have lower monthly premiums than other comprehensive plans.

United American Insurance FAQ

Where is United American available?
United American is available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Its Medicare coverage is accepted nationwide by all doctors who take Medicare.
What kinds of insurance does United American offer?
United American offers Medicare Supplement Insurance, life insurance and cancer, accident and critical illness insurance.
Who owns United American?
Globe Life Inc., a publicly traded insurance holding company, owns United American Insurance.
How do I apply for Medicare with United American?
You can apply for Medicare with United American Insurance through a local insurance agent. To request a consultation with an agent, visit the company's website.

Is United American Insurance worth it?

United American provides a variety of insurance policies at several price points. If you’re looking to buy Medicare Supplement Insurance, you’ll probably find coverage that fits your needs and your budget with United American. For those who wish to purchase more than one type of policy, such as a Medicare supplemental policy and life insurance, United American offers fewer options than other companies.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United American Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

We were with Cleveland Clinic and when they stopped taking HMO, United American Insurance was there to pick up the pieces. I've had them ever since and they've always been extremely good with me. When I asked them a question, they gave me an answer. They've been fair too and I have never had anybody question me. All this time, I've had three back surgeries and two other major surgeries. I've never had them deny a claim that I had to go back for.

Sometimes United American Insurance is a little more expensive than HMO. But they have the same things as an HMO. I had to have my eyes examined and they do a refractory that insurances don't pay for. A gentleman went too and he had insurance for the eyes. He gave a card and was told, “We're sorry, we don't take that anymore because they don't pay their bills.” I have never had anyone tell me they wouldn't take United American Insurance.

United American Insurance response

Marilyn, thank you for your feedback regarding your experience with United American! We appreciate you choosing us for your supplemental health insurance and we look forward to serving you again in the future!

Get buying tips about Medicare Supplemental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 30, 2022

My husband worked for a bank and we had a life insurance policy through them. When he retired, the bank dropped the retirees that had earned that right for paid for insurance. They put us with an insurance agent to represent getting us new insurance. We did supplemental insurance through United American Insurance. I had a heart attack in November and I paid $92, so far. I found that I get statements monthly as to what's been paid out. My insurance agent told me that I was going to be extremely happy that this is one of the best insurance policies out there.

United American Insurance response

Nancy, thank you for choosing United American! We hope and pray you are doing well and are glad we delivered the excellent service you deserve and expect. We sincerely appreciate you choosing United American and we look forward to serving you in the future!

Original review: April 8, 2022

I like United American. Their customer service has been somewhat of a problem but it’s not one that I can’t deal with. Once they sign you up, you never hear from them again. Now, each year, I request out of their office an update on comparison shopping, which they send to me. And then, they highlight, “Stay with”. They make that recommendation. But at one time, when I first signed up with United American, I had both health and pharmaceutical. At that time, I was taking a medicine and United American dropped it. They would not cover it so I had to find another insurance. I ended up going to an outside broker and almost canceling all my insurance with my broker because they didn't follow up. The rep finally came to my house and got it all straightened out and I ended up going with SilverScript on pharmaceutical.

I've had a lot of people say that I ought to go with that one that is pushed by AARP and I tell them that I've never had a problem with my medical. United American is very good. Sometimes, Medicare won't pay but the plan does. So, my monthly is atrocious. It's up to 300 and some dollars a month for coverage. It's horrible. But I don't know what else to do because I do know that if I land in the hospital, I'm covered. I couldn't ask for better insurance as United American.

United American Insurance response

Barbara, thank you for choosing United American! We sincerely appreciate the trust you’ve placed in our company for your supplemental medical protection. Our goal is to always provide prompt and courteous service to our policyholders and listening to your feedback will help us do that more efficiently. We look forward to serving you in the future!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

At first, the insurance company wouldn’t pay for any prescription. But now, my insurance agent went back and refiled my claim. I also had to go back and pay some back penalty. But currently, I have United American Insurance Company paying some of my medicine for me. My agent suggested I carry that particular policy and he liked it really well. He also had very good luck out of it. I really like the company and I have no difficulty with them whatsoever. If I have any problem, I go through my agent, then work with him to further disclose anything I might have a problem with. I pay them annually with one check for the whole year and I want to continue to do that. Some of the other companies want you to pay it monthly and that’s hard.

United American Insurance response

Don, that’s what we’re here for! We’re happy to know we’re providing the best service possible! Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we’re doing.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

I've always been satisfied with the response when I have talked to United American. But the hospitals and the doctors have basically up to a year to report for the billing to the insurance company. As a result, we're paying the deductible way over the deductible by the time that it actually kicks in. I don't really know how that works. But I would have liked to have not paid all these high deductibles if they were in a timely manner to where my deductible would be covered.

I tried to find doctors that were accepting this insurance and it was a big problem because all the doctors that they recommended were out of business or out of the area. So there wasn't a lot of choice for the doctors. They didn't have doctors to recommend when I needed them. So I have to start going through the website and get all these calls back. You get 100 calls from all kinds of agencies that want you to go there and it's really disturbing. It would be nice if they could explain the policies and benefits after I've signed up to what I could actually do. But nobody does that. Once they get you, good luck.

United American Insurance response

Lawrence, thank you for your feedback. We apologize that you aren't completely satisfied with your UA experience. We always encourage our customers to reach out to their agent but if a response isn't given in a timely manner our customers can always call our United American Customer Service number at 1-800-331-2512. They will be happy to help or direct you to someone who can.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

My client has been with United Health Insurance forever and she's always been satisfied with it. According to her paperwork, automatic claims are effective in 1995. I spoke with United Health Insurance because I had to send the paperwork for a power of attorney and my client's claims. They've been processed. We did automatic billing when the payment comes due.

United American Insurance response

Nancy, it’s always a pleasure serving and protecting our valued customers! We appreciate you letting us know how we’re doing!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

I called up one of United American's salespeople, Bill, and he was more than helpful. He got me everything I wanted. If I had a problem, I called up Bill. He came over immediately. United American is an excellent insurance company. Don’t look any further, go with them.

United American Insurance response

Matthew, it’s always a pleasure serving and protecting our valued customers! We appreciate you letting us know how we’re doing and thank you for choosing United American!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

My insurance broker recommended United American Insurance and told me why they were good. I went with them and my experience has been excellent. I would tell friends to consider them.

United American Insurance response

Leonard, we’re glad to hear that you’re satisfied with your United American experience! Thank you for choosing us and we look forward to serving you for many more years!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

I switched to United American Insurance several years ago. They have very good agents. I'm very satisfied with my plan and I would recommend this company.

United American Insurance response

Billy, we’re glad to hear that you’re satisfied with your United American experience! Thank you for choosing us and we look forward to serving you for years to come!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

I have Medicare supplement with United American. I did my research and it was the best for me and my wife. This insurance is very valuable and my experience with them has been a very good one. I will continue to recommend United American wherever it is possible.

United American Insurance response

Donald, we’re glad to hear that you’re satisfied with your United American experience! Thank you for choosing us and we look forward to serving you for many more years!

United American Insurance Company Information