3700 S. Stonebridge Drive, Dallas, TX

4.8/5 (93 ratings)

About United American Insurance

United American Insurance was founded in 1947 on four core values: stability, service, quality and commitment. Today, United American Insurance offers life insurance, cancer and critical illness insurance and Medicare Supplement Insurance policies. The premiums for its whole life policies never increase. The company works with local and home office agents to sell policies.

Pros

• Nationwide coverage
  • Strong critical illness policy
  • Several Medicare supplement choices

Cons

• Limited selection of policies
  • No online or live support

Bottom Line

United American offers Medicare Supplement Insurance and has limited policy choices for other insurance types, including life insurance and supplemental cancer insurance. It's available all throughout the U.S.

Top United American Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We’ve been happy with United American. Every time I take my mother somewhere, United American is accepted no matter where it is, and I don’t have to deal with referrals. Anything ...

Verified

I’ve been with United for about 30 years… They’re just a wonderful company and I will have them for the rest of my life. I love them. They take care of whatever if there’s any nee...

What is United American?

United American is a nationwide insurance company that offers Medicare Supplement Insurance, life insurance and supplemental cancer, accident and critical illness policies. Because its Medicare Supplement Insurance is accepted by all providers who take Medicare, it has no provider network. Policyholders can use United American in any state.

United American offers guaranteed renewal for Medicare supplemental policies as long as you pay the monthly premium on time. Its accident policy provides either a lump-sum payment or hospital stay coverage for up to 25 weeks. Its cancer and critical illness policies feature a lump sum for medical expenses at the patient’s discretion. Its critical illness policy is a good option for those with a personal or family history of major illness.

How does United American work?

United American offers insurance to groups and individuals in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Its local agents work with customers to select appropriate and affordable coverage. It offers individual Medicare Supplement Insurance, life insurance and supplemental policies for cancer, accident or critical illness, as well as group retiree health policies for employees and unions.

The company offers Medicare supplement policies A, B, D, G, K, L, N, C and F, but plans C and F are available only to those eligible for Medicare prior to 2020.

United American rates

United American’s supplemental Medicare policy costs vary from state to state and according to individual factors (e.g., gender and age). While you can request a customized rate, in general, monthly costs range from $80 to $200. Plans with copays or high deductibles have lower monthly premiums than other comprehensive plans.

United American Insurance FAQ

Where is United American available?
United American is available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Its Medicare coverage is accepted nationwide by all doctors who take Medicare.
What kinds of insurance does United American offer?
United American offers Medicare Supplement Insurance, life insurance and cancer, accident and critical illness insurance.
Who owns United American?
Globe Life Inc., a publicly traded insurance holding company, owns United American Insurance.
How do I apply for Medicare with United American?
You can apply for Medicare with United American Insurance through a local insurance agent. To request a consultation with an agent, visit the company's website.

Is United American Insurance worth it?

United American provides a variety of insurance policies at several price points. If you’re looking to buy Medicare Supplement Insurance, you’ll probably find coverage that fits your needs and your budget with United American. For those who wish to purchase more than one type of policy, such as a Medicare supplemental policy and life insurance, United American offers fewer options than other companies.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United American Insurance?

Original review: April 8, 2022

I like United American. Their customer service has been somewhat of a problem but it’s not one that I can’t deal with. Once they sign you up, you never hear from them again. Now, each year, I request out of their office an update on comparison shopping, which they send to me. And then, they highlight, “Stay with”. They make that recommendation. But at one time, when I first signed up with United American, I had both health and pharmaceutical. At that time, I was taking a medicine and United American dropped it. They would not cover it so I had to find another insurance. I ended up going to an outside broker and almost canceling all my insurance with my broker because they didn't follow up. The rep finally came to my house and got it all straightened out and I ended up going with SilverScript on pharmaceutical.

I've had a lot of people say that I ought to go with that one that is pushed by AARP and I tell them that I've never had a problem with my medical. United American is very good. Sometimes, Medicare won't pay but the plan does. So, my monthly is atrocious. It's up to 300 and some dollars a month for coverage. It's horrible. But I don't know what else to do because I do know that if I land in the hospital, I'm covered. I couldn't ask for better insurance as United American.

United American Insurance response

Barbara, thank you for choosing United American! We sincerely appreciate the trust you’ve placed in our company for your supplemental medical protection. Our goal is to always provide prompt and courteous service to our policyholders and listening to your feedback will help us do that more efficiently. We look forward to serving you in the future!

Get buying tips about Medicare Supplemental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

When I was working, there was a fellow that had this plan for his mother, and he sold it. He told me that it was very good and you'll never get a bill. He explained the whole process so I bought it. The couple of times I've talked with the representatives, I've never had a problem. They’ve been able to answer my questions that they didn't know they would find out. So far, I've had them several years, and I've never gotten a bill. I've been in the hospital a couple of times.

When choosing a provider, people should understand the plan, what it covers and what it doesn’t. If Medicare doesn’t approve something, then United American won't cover it. As long as your primary takes care of it, they’d pick up the rest. They raise their rates time to time, but that should be expected. They've done everything they're supposed to do. In fact, when my mother's insurance expired, they wouldn't cover, I bought the same plan for her. Since she's older, it's a little more money. But she's very happy with it also.

United American Insurance response

Thomas, it’s always a pleasure serving and protecting families! We're glad you're satisfied with the supplemental health coverage we provide and we appreciate you letting us know how we’re doing. Thank you for choosing United American!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

United American has made going through them so easy. Sometimes, I get their payment sooner than Medicare's. Also, I can pay them by the year, quarterly, or half of it. And they let me know in plenty of time when I have to pay. One time, I skipped and called them. They said "okay", and they put me back on. I have been with them for many years since I was 65. I'm 88 now. They take care of everything. I have nothing but good things to say about them.

United American Insurance response

Barbara, thank you for your review. We appreciate you and the trust you’ve placed in United American for your supplemental health protection. Our goal is always to provide excellent service to our policyholders and we're happy you're a satisfied customer. We look forward to serving you in the future!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

United American has been great, because otherwise, I really couldn't afford my medical care. I was pretty bad off when my mom helped me sign up for United American. The guy from the insurance agency drove up. I was living out in California at that time, and he drove 50 miles to our house.

United American Insurance response

Jennifer, it’s always a pleasure serving and protecting our valued customers and we're glad you're satisfied with our coverage and service. We appreciate you letting us know how we’re doing and look forward to serving you again in the future!

Original review: June 27, 2021

We've been with United American Insurance for 30 years and so far, we haven't had any problems.

United American Insurance response

JD, thank you for your review. We appreciate you and the trust you’ve placed in United American for the supplemental health protection of your family. Our goal is always to provide excellent service and protection to our policyholders and we're happy you're a loyal and satisfied customer. We look forward to serving you for even more years to come!

Original review: June 11, 2022

Any time we've looked to use the insurance, we've never been told no. Since everything's been going all right, we haven't had reason to change providers.

United American Insurance response

Lynn, we’re glad to hear that you’re satisfied with your recent experiences. Thank you for choosing United American for your supplemental health coverage needs and we look forward to hearing from you soon!

Original review: May 31, 2022

We've been with United American Insurance for many years and they take care of all of our insurance such as homeowners, car, and health. My wife and I are both on Medicare. They've been excellent and every year, they go through a review of all the insurance. The rate is definitely affordable. We're very happy with United American Insurance.

United American Insurance response

Kenneth, while we're happy to hear from you with such a positive review United American doesn't offer homeowners or car insurance. We specialize in supplemental health insurance. Thank you for your feedback!

Original review: May 30, 2022

My husband worked for a bank and we had a life insurance policy through them. When he retired, the bank dropped the retirees that had earned that right for paid for insurance. They put us with an insurance agent to represent getting us new insurance. We did supplemental insurance through United American Insurance. I had a heart attack in November and I paid $92, so far. I found that I get statements monthly as to what's been paid out. My insurance agent told me that I was going to be extremely happy that this is one of the best insurance policies out there.

United American Insurance response

Nancy, thank you for choosing United American! We hope and pray you are doing well and are glad we delivered the excellent service you deserve and expect. We sincerely appreciate you choosing United American and we look forward to serving you in the future!

Original review: May 29, 2022

United American carries our secondary Medicare insurance. Compared to the one we had before, United American is superior in every way. Their monthly premiums are a bit high as a secondary carrier for Medicare. But I've had lots and lots of medical issues since I went on Medicare when I was 65 five years ago, and I have never received a bill from them. They've covered everything secondarily that Medicare didn't pay. They keep us up to date on what the charges and everything is going through. That's been paid.

United American Insurance response

Thomas, it’s always a pleasure serving and protecting families! We appreciate you choosing United American for your secondary health insurance needs! We look forward to serving you again in the future!

Original review: May 28, 2022

Applying was relatively easy.

United American Insurance response

Brenda, thank you for taking the time to let us know how we're doing! We look forward to serving you in the future.

United American Insurance Company Information