Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
1.05/5

3700 S. Stonebridge Drive, Dallas, TX

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

108 United American Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 19, 2019

I have been calling for 4 months for my 82 year old father in-law to get a copy of his invoice. We paid in January 2019 for 3 months but never received a copy again. I have called 3 times received different story every time. I am not asking for personal info. Just the darn bill. They can't take a payment over the phone, you can't pay online, so you are at the mercy of them sending you a bill. God forbid should something happen after paying all these years he would have no coverage. What all for a lousy $5,000 but when you're on a fixed income that is needed to cover expenses after you are gone.

I truly believe this company takes advantage of elderly people, as a lady stated she has already paid in 8,000 in premiums to only get $5,000 for a payout. It should not be this hard to pay a bill. I am not only posting this message but also notifying the BBB and a letter to my local congressman about how this is to me a total scam and advantage of the elderly.... RUN RUN RUN. Do not buy into this.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 15, 2019

I had my agent cancel my medical policy with United American after not receiving evidence of coverage and needing coverage on May 1. After cancelling, United American continued to auto withdraw the premium from my checking account. I have requested reimbursement of two months of premium twice and my agent has requested reimbursement 3 times over two months and still no response or reimbursement from United American. This company are crooks and the worst customer service I have ever experienced with any company I have dealt with. Beware!

United American Insurance response

Charles, we are very sorry to learn of your experience with United American and would like more information from you in order to investigate why you haven't received your reimbursement. Please send us an email and include your name, policy number, phone number and the best time to call you. We'll have a supervisor contact you. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 8, 2019

Run while you can. Horrible customer service. When you call they are rude, nasty & not helpful at all. They refuse to give you a phone number for the sales department when you ask and argue with you. The supervisor told me they are not allowed to give out that information. The only way you can get any information from is to talk to your salesperson. Customer service is not allowed to help at all. Such crap. Don't waste your time or money on this company.

United American Insurance response

Please accept our sincere apology for the unacceptable service you received in your latest transaction with United American. Providing excellent service to our customers is a top priority for us and we're sorry we did not provide that for you. Please call our customer service number and a representative will assist you. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 2, 2019

First of all I was never told that this policy was no longer with Globe Life but given to United Insurance Co. and the bills still come from Globe Life. The first 5 phone calls they had no record of policy! Finally realized it was an old one so gave me number for United American. It took me from October, 2018 until April, 2019 for them to find a payment I made that they didn’t have a record of. Talked to numerous people. They had me jumping through hoops to prove I paid it electronically. Had to email pictures of my bank account, had to go to bank and have them copy info from my bank account and have bank fax to them. This was all for a $30.74 payment!

They finally somehow found it after all that. Now I had a premium due May 21st, paid it May 7th electronically and now I get a letter insurance has lapsed for lack of payment! Same thing all over again. Tried several times to contact supervisor who handled last mess and no return call. I am going to find out how to report this company to the insurance board.

Original review: March 31, 2019

I am 78 years old. Been paying on my policy for 20 years. I called them and said I would have to pay until I was 100 years old. The policy was for 5,00.00 I have paid in $8000.00. I asked to surrender the policy and stop bank drafts and send me a refund. They took all my information. Said I would get a check in 7-10 days.

No check. Called back. 2nd time same response. No check. 3rd time told to go online and send information. No check. 4th time same message but said couldn't read information. To resend. This has been going on for 1 month. No check. No response. Getting runaround. I have mailed everything no response. Anita **. I think it is a scam.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United American Insurance?

Original review: March 22, 2019

We have a Medicare supplement insurance with this company, I thought it was a good program and a good value, that is until you have a problem and need customer service to follow through. Their policy is to make excuses and get you off of the phone as fast as possible. "There is a glitch in the system,", "That department is out to lunch", "I promise to return your call within the hour", are just a few of the excuses they have to get you off of the phone and not help. I have had a simple issue with them for 4 months now and it is still not resolved, terrible customer service. Based on that I would not recommend this company.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I just tried to look online for the provider phone number. I have a Medigap policyholder also. I called my policy holder's number. I put my ins number in as requested, a recording came on and then I was hung up (tried 3 times). People ask me all the time for a good supplement insurance, never will recommend them again. There is no excuse to treat your customers this way. I am changing my ins to another company and that I do not to pay for CROSSOVER FROM MEDICARE. WHY IN THE WORLD AM I PAYING TO HAVE MEDICARE CROSSOVER TO UNITED AMERICAN INS??? Their customer service has destroyed my respect for the company. You are only as good as your employees!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

In 2003 I purchased a Renewable Term Policy, a Surgery and Hospitalization Policy and a Cancer Policy. My premiums have been drafted always so never missed one or was late. It was $348 a month for all three. I didn’t realize it at the time but now I know they are super expensive to what is available out there. Shop around, don’t buy from this company. Most importantly because they don’t pay their claims. I did not do due diligence and just now come to find out I’m paying $98 dollars a month since 2003 for benefit of $48,000. That’s highway robbery. Today in 2019 sixteen years older and I got $500,000 term for 20 years for only $112 a month. Shop around please.

On the Surgical policy I filed a claim in 2012 because I had a surgery. I filed in April of 2012 and up to today nothing was processed on my claim. I called many times and they always told me that they would call me back but they would not. I mailed, faxed, and emailed docs many times and they said they had nothing but yet would know how much the surgery was. Finally today I was told that they CANNOT do anything with claim unless I have a CMS 1500 form. Why did they not tell me that when I initiated my claim? After 7 years and I have continued paying. I have paid over $28000 dollars and they have not done anything to pay my claim of $16000. Please look elsewhere. AIG is good and so is Metlife for life insurance in my experience.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

This complaint involves Nick **, CLTC Independent Medicare Health Consultant #** State of FL Agent Number. Several months ago I contacted him in reference to health insurance as I would be retiring 01-31-2019. He was very helpful until I began asking pointed questions and expressed concerns about United American Health Insurance. Due to personal and unexpected medical issues I stopped communicating with him. This week I began to receive demanding text messages from him. I explained my reasons for not getting back to him and the final message that I received was beyond anything I could imagine.

Below is his final response to me. "Let me say this about your entire message is full of baloney. I still have all our messages and you texted me NUMEROUS TIMES in Nov and Dec. Your last sentence tells me all about lack of class (phone calls and mail too). I gave you COUNTLESS times of knowledge expertise and valuable information. It doesn't bother me that you went elsewhere because that happens. WHAT BOTHERS ME THAT YOU LIED AND LIED and try to cover it up. You had many many months to prepare and your cancer analogy is BEYOND LAUGHABLE. So happy you are NOT my client?" I explained to him that I am dealing with a breast cancer diagnosis and the above is how he responded. This is upsetting, callous and extremely unprofessional. I do want anyone else to go through what I am going through.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

They kept sending us bills. We cancel them in Dec. We picked another ins. co. They had the nerve to send us a bill for Dec and Jan. We spoke in Dec. and they still send us bills. I stop them from going into my bank acct. Whatever you do do not let them take the fees out of your bank acct. Also it takes forever to talk to anybody. I am so glad I got rid of them different plan. I now have Harvard which was cheaper. And easy to call and work with.

United American Insurance expert review by Joseph Burns

United American began in 1947 as a one-man enterprise. Today, it is a national health care insurer based in Texas.

• Several Medicare plans: Senior citizens will appreciate being able to choose between a variety of Medicare plans; they can choose the plan that best meets their needs.

• Critical illness and cancer plans: Consumers who cannot work due to injury or serious illness can get critical illness coverage, which offers cash benefits for the duration of a disability.

• Short-term and supplemental insurance: Consumers can short-term insurance while waiting for their permanent insurance to take effect.

• Specialized insurance: United American specializes in Medicare and supplemental insurance, meaning those who are under 65 may not find plans that meet their needs, in part because most plans are geared toward seniors and those who just need a supplement to other health insurance.

• Plan limits: Due to the nature of its insurance plans, United American doesn’t offer much in the way of coverage for routine health care visits. Plans typically cover hospital visits and other emergencies.

• Best for: Senior citizens

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

United American Insurance Company Information