Accredited Partner

3700 S. Stonebridge Drive, Dallas, TX

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.78/5

United American Insurance was founded in 1947 on four core values: stability, service, quality and commitment. Today, United American Insurance offers life insurance, cancer and critical illness insurance and Medicare Supplement Insurance policies. The premiums for its whole life policies never increase. The company works with local and home office agents to sell policies.

BOTTOM LINE

United American offers Medicare Supplement Insurance and has limited policy choices for other insurance types, including life insurance and supplemental cancer insurance. It's available all throughout the U.S.

PROS

• Nationwide coverage
  • Strong critical illness policy
  • Several Medicare supplement choices

CONS

• Limited selection of policies
  • No online or live support

Top United American Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about United American Insurance?

We’ve been happy with United American. Every time I take my mother somewhere, United American is accepted no matter where it is, and I don’t have to deal with referrals. Anything we’ve been billed, between Medicare and the supplemental, has been fair.

I’ve been with United for about 30 years… They’re just a wonderful company and I will have them for the rest of my life. I love them. They take care of whatever if there’s any need immediately. Everything is a plus and I’ve recommended them to many people.

What is United American?

United American is a nationwide insurance company that offers Medicare Supplement Insurance, life insurance and supplemental cancer, accident and critical illness policies. Because its Medicare Supplement Insurance is accepted by all providers who take Medicare, it has no provider network. Policyholders can use United American in any state.

United American offers guaranteed renewal for Medicare supplemental policies as long as you pay the monthly premium on time. Its accident policy provides either a lump-sum payment or hospital stay coverage for up to 25 weeks. Its cancer and critical illness policies feature a lump sum for medical expenses at the patient’s discretion. Its critical illness policy is a good option for those with a personal or family history of major illness.

How does United American work?

United American offers insurance to groups and individuals in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Its local agents work with customers to select appropriate and affordable coverage. It offers individual Medicare Supplement Insurance, life insurance and supplemental policies for cancer, accident or critical illness, as well as group retiree health policies for employees and unions.

The company offers Medicare supplement policies A, B, D, G, K, L, N, C and F, but plans C and F are available only to those eligible for Medicare prior to 2020.

United American rates

United American’s supplemental Medicare policy costs vary from state to state and according to individual factors (e.g., gender and age). While you can request a customized rate, in general, monthly costs range from $80 to $200. Plans with copays or high deductibles have lower monthly premiums than other comprehensive plans.

United American Insurance FAQ

Where is United American available?
United American is available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Its Medicare coverage is accepted nationwide by all doctors who take Medicare.
What kinds of insurance does United American offer?
United American offers Medicare Supplement Insurance, life insurance and cancer, accident and critical illness insurance.
Who owns United American?
Globe Life Inc., a publicly traded insurance holding company, owns United American Insurance.
How do I apply for Medicare with United American?
You can apply for Medicare with United American Insurance through a local insurance agent. To request a consultation with an agent, visit the company's website.

Is United American Insurance worth it?

United American provides a variety of insurance policies at several price points. If you’re looking to buy Medicare Supplement Insurance, you’ll probably find coverage that fits your needs and your budget with United American. For those who wish to purchase more than one type of policy, such as a Medicare supplemental policy and life insurance, United American offers fewer options than other companies.

United American Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United American Insurance?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

United American pays Darlene's bills. Her main concern is they pay the bills. United helps pay for her dialysis. If she was with the new Advantage Medicare, she would be stuck with the 20%. And that's not good because each one of those sessions are over $5,000. If she was to go into the hospital or get lab work, having to take care of her bills when it comes through has been smooth. And if I had a question, I can always call United. Or first I call Medicare and they make me understand what the bill is. And that's when they would say, “Well, her second insurance should take care of it.” And when I do, it doesn't come back to us. We're happy.

From the very beginning, their person who did the seminar was amazing, because it made me understand. Taking care of Darlene, I'm looking out for her benefits as if it was for me. How most elderly people look at their insurance is they don't want to pay so much. They want the cheapest. But the cheapest doesn't always pay everything in advance. For example, even when I tried to tell Darlene about it, she did not want to change because she’s used to being deducted 70 some dollars out of her Medicare to pay for her insurance. And then when this United came in, it went from 78 to 100 and some dollars.

I said, “Okay, here. You weigh it out. Write down how many times you go into the emergency room, go to your doctor's appointment and pay your co-pay, and you have to go in and pay for your lab works. You tally all those up for the whole year, not including the times you go into the hospital as far as your emergency coverage. Is it less than this 100? Take this 100 and some odd dollars, times 12 for one year, and you tell me which is cheaper.” And when she did, she said, “You're right. It's a lot cheaper.” I said, “Look. You get in the ambulance, you don't pay anything. You go to the hospital, you don't pay anything.”

She had to go to a home for physical therapy. Medicare only pays the first 21 days. Thereafter, you are responsible for the remainder if you still need physical therapy. And by having United health insurance, it was the best insurance she ever invested. We not only use this here in Florida. When we were in Albuquerque, she had her own room. She could eat in her own room. If she doesn't want, she can go out to the dining room. And the utensils were not paper plates, paper cups and plastic forks. It was forks, knives, spoons and dinnerware. That's how good the insurance was, that she was able to use it. And that was the most peaceful mind that I didn't have to worry about who was going to pay what. It was all taken care of. United is great.

United American Insurance response

Zita, we sincerely appreciate you choosing United American for your supplemental health coverage! It’s always a pleasure serving and protecting our valued customers and happy that you're satisfied with the time you've been with us! We appreciate you letting us know how we’re doing and look forward to serving you again in the future!

Get buying tips about Medicare Supplemental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

We have United American Insurance as my father's supplemental on top of Medicare. He recently went through a year of care after an open heart surgery. United has been wonderful through it all. They did what they said they would do at a fair price.

United American Insurance response

Donald, we sincerely appreciate your feedback! Thank you for the trust you’ve placed in United American for your father's supplemental insurance. Providing affordable protection through a process that is simple and easy for our policyholders is our goal and we're happy that this was your experience. We look forward to serving you and your family in the future!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

I’ve had United American for several years and they’re very good. The premium is high but it’s worth it. They pay out, which is all that matters to me. I don't have to worry. I appreciate their service and I've never had any problems with anything. After Medicare pays, the insurance picks up and does what they're supposed to.

United American Insurance response

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, Wilma! We're glad you're happy with the efficient process we have of paying out claims and appreciate your constructive feedback on our premium prices. We look forward to serving you in the future and we appreciate you choosing United American!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

United American was recommended to me by a gentleman when I was still working. I was going on Medicare because I worked till I was 75. I was still with the other company that had group insurance. But there were some confusing things like who pays first on stuff. I took the plan that the gentleman recommended and was told to pay the extra money that it cost to have United American do the paperwork. I would then never have to look at another thing again. That has been the best investment that I've ever made in an insurance product.

With United American, it's automatic and you don't do anything. I pay for whatever it cost the whole year at the start of the year so I don't get a monthly bill. I paid them recently for 2021. I never get billed unless it’s some really weird off the wall thing where I'm in a hospital and suddenly Medicare doesn't cover it. United American is not cheap but you get what you pay for in this world. I have no qualms about what it cost and I intend to stay with them till the day I die. If everything in the world is as easy, convenient, and dependable as United American, it should be a great place to live. If people have any doubts in their mind on who to go with, they should pick United American if they have the money to pay for it.

United American Insurance response

Gary, thank you for choosing United American! We sincerely appreciate the trust you’ve placed in our company for your supplemental health coverage. Our goal is to always provide prompt and courteous service to our policyholders and we're happy that has been your experience. We look forward to serving you in the future!

Original review: April 25, 2020

We have a home down in Florida. We met a guy there when we moved 20 years ago and we started being real close friends. He turned 65, and I was still about 63 at that time. He told me about United American. It just so happened that two doors down from them was David, who was a representative for United American. My wife was born a year ahead of me. She was turning 65 in a couple of months. So, the guy came over to our house where we live a couple blocks away, he explained the insurance to us and we went ahead and took it out for her. Six months later, I became 65. So then, I told David, "Look, I wanna get down on that also, the F plan," and he said, "Okay."

Back here in New Albany, where I was born and all, I knew a bunch of insurance guys and I asked them about it. They said, "Look, that F plan is probably not gonna be available in a couple years from now. It's really a good plan." And I said, "Well, I went ahead and got it down there." My company paid for my insurance and my wife's insurance for Medicare and drug program and all that kind of stuff. January 23rd of last year, I had to have a pig valve put in my heart. Medicare and United American paid every penny and my doctor told me it was probably about a half a million dollars that they put out. Plus, I had to go to rehab center for 10 days. I never paid a dime of that.

Between my Medicare and my health care insurance, United American, and my wife's and the few drugs plans we had through Social Security, it runs $800 a month. And what they paid just for my heart surgery, no matter how much money my company pays for my insurance, just in all the insurance, I'm way ahead of the game. It's not that I wanted to be ahead of the game, but people that don't go out and buy Humana or somebody in the drug program, you got a $500 deductible. My company pays through Humana $50 a month. That's $300 a year. I have a $500 deductible. If I didn't have one of my pills it would cost me $1700 for 90 pills which would take me for three months. And I'm already paying $50 a month to get that drug program through Humana.

When we went back to Florida, I even told David, "What you talked me into buying was fantastic." And he said, "Yeah. I told you it was good." So, I told a lot of other people. Then I found out from a friend of mine who I had spoken with that he got involved in selling it about two years ago. And he said he still sells it up here in New Albany, Indiana and it was because I told him about it, which I thought was coincidental. I'm totally satisfied with United American.

United American Insurance response

Joseph, that’s what we’re here for! We’re happy to know we’re providing the best service possible! Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we’re doing. We sincerely appreciate your kind words and we look forward to serving you again in the future!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

My wife runs a dentist's office and besides being a dental assistant, she deals with umpteen hundreds of insurance companies and their minor nightmares. So, she knew which insurance company to take. We went through a good hour and a half meeting with the insurance people two years ago when we started this. I love United American Insurance. I don't worry about co-pays and the most I have to pay for is antibiotics and any strange blood pressure medicine. When they see that card if I'm going to a doctor, I never hear from them. I go to the doctor and then I go home.

United American Insurance response

William, we sincerely appreciate your feedback and for choosing United American! Our goal is to provide this important supplemental financial protection and great service to our customers and policyholders and we're glad your experience has reflected that. We look forward to serving you and your wife in the future!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

My experience with them has been very positive over the years. I've been with them for 40 years, selling and using their products. Right now, I'm a stage four cancer patient, and I’ve used their product a lot.

United American Insurance response

Peggy, we hope and pray that you're doing well. We appreciate you and the trust you’ve placed in United American and we're honored that you've chosen us for this important financial protection. We look forward to serving you for many years to come and we thank you for being a loyal customer!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

To be fair, I don’t use my insurance very often. With that in mind, I do appreciate the ease of use when I do need to use my insurance. I have had other insurance companies, and there always seemed to be some sort of hassle or complication. As of now, with five year under the same insurance, I have had absolutely no issues.

United American Insurance response

Branden, we sincerely appreciate your feedback! Thank you for the trust you’ve placed in United American for your financial protection. Providing affordable insurance protection through a process that is simple and easy for our policyholders is our goal and we're happy you're a satisfied customer. We look forward to serving you in the future!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

Everything was fine when we applied with United American. We purchased supplement insurance from them. We've had a very good experience with this company.

United American Insurance response

Clarence, thank you for taking the time to let us know how we're doing! Excellent customer service is our top priority for United American and we're glad your experience has reflected that. We look forward to serving you in the future!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

My primary insurance agent got me the United American insurance. The application process was seamless. My agent took care of everything. She knew I was going to go in the hospital for some more surgery. She told me that this could be an ideal plan for me if I was going to be in the hospital any amount of time. The way it turned out, something unexpected happened and I spent quite a bit of time in the hospital. I've been very pleased. I love an insurance company like United American because I didn't hear anything from them and all my bills have been paid. That’s why I renewed it for this year. For a supplement, it’s expensive, but it's well worth it if you're going to have any kind of hospital stay or surgery.

United American Insurance Company Information