3700 S. Stonebridge Drive, Dallas, TX

4.6/5 (75 ratings)

About United American Insurance

United American Insurance was founded in 1947 on four core values: stability, service, quality and commitment. Today, United American Insurance offers life insurance, cancer and critical illness insurance and Medicare Supplement Insurance policies. The premiums for its whole life policies never increase. The company works with local and home office agents to sell policies.

Pros

• Nationwide coverage
  • Strong critical illness policy
  • Several Medicare supplement choices

Cons

• Limited selection of policies
  • No online or live support

Bottom Line

United American offers Medicare Supplement Insurance and has limited policy choices for other insurance types, including life insurance and supplemental cancer insurance. It's available all throughout the U.S.

Top United American Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We’ve been happy with United American. Every time I take my mother somewhere, United American is accepted no matter where it is, and I don’t have to deal with referrals. Anything ...

Verified

I’ve been with United for about 30 years… They’re just a wonderful company and I will have them for the rest of my life. I love them. They take care of whatever if there’s any nee...

What is United American?

United American is a nationwide insurance company that offers Medicare Supplement Insurance, life insurance and supplemental cancer, accident and critical illness policies. Because its Medicare Supplement Insurance is accepted by all providers who take Medicare, it has no provider network. Policyholders can use United American in any state.

United American offers guaranteed renewal for Medicare supplemental policies as long as you pay the monthly premium on time. Its accident policy provides either a lump-sum payment or hospital stay coverage for up to 25 weeks. Its cancer and critical illness policies feature a lump sum for medical expenses at the patient’s discretion. Its critical illness policy is a good option for those with a personal or family history of major illness.

How does United American work?

United American offers insurance to groups and individuals in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Its local agents work with customers to select appropriate and affordable coverage. It offers individual Medicare Supplement Insurance, life insurance and supplemental policies for cancer, accident or critical illness, as well as group retiree health policies for employees and unions.

The company offers Medicare supplement policies A, B, D, G, K, L, N, C and F, but plans C and F are available only to those eligible for Medicare prior to 2020.

United American rates

United American’s supplemental Medicare policy costs vary from state to state and according to individual factors (e.g., gender and age). While you can request a customized rate, in general, monthly costs range from $80 to $200. Plans with copays or high deductibles have lower monthly premiums than other comprehensive plans.

United American Insurance FAQ

Where is United American available?
United American is available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Its Medicare coverage is accepted nationwide by all doctors who take Medicare.
What kinds of insurance does United American offer?
United American offers Medicare Supplement Insurance, life insurance and cancer, accident and critical illness insurance.
Who owns United American?
Globe Life Inc., a publicly traded insurance holding company, owns United American Insurance.
How do I apply for Medicare with United American?
You can apply for Medicare with United American Insurance through a local insurance agent. To request a consultation with an agent, visit the company's website.

Is United American Insurance worth it?

United American provides a variety of insurance policies at several price points. If you’re looking to buy Medicare Supplement Insurance, you’ll probably find coverage that fits your needs and your budget with United American. For those who wish to purchase more than one type of policy, such as a Medicare supplemental policy and life insurance, United American offers fewer options than other companies.

United American Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United American Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

When I was working, there was a fellow that had this plan for his mother, and he sold it. He told me that it was very good and you'll never get a bill. He explained the whole process so I bought it. The couple of times I've talked with the representatives, I've never had a problem. They’ve been able to answer my questions that they didn't know they would find out. So far, I've had them several years, and I've never gotten a bill. I've been in the hospital a couple of times.

When choosing a provider, people should understand the plan, what it covers and what it doesn’t. If Medicare doesn’t approve something, then United American won't cover it. As long as your primary takes care of it, they’d pick up the rest. They raise their rates time to time, but that should be expected. They've done everything they're supposed to do. In fact, when my mother's insurance expired, they wouldn't cover, I bought the same plan for her. Since she's older, it's a little more money. But she's very happy with it also.

United American Insurance response

Thomas, it’s always a pleasure serving and protecting families! We're glad you're satisfied with the supplemental health coverage we provide and we appreciate you letting us know how we’re doing. Thank you for choosing United American!

Get buying tips about Medicare Supplemental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 27, 2021

We've been with United American Insurance for 30 years and so far, we haven't had any problems.

United American Insurance response

JD, thank you for your review. We appreciate you and the trust you’ve placed in United American for the supplemental health protection of your family. Our goal is always to provide excellent service and protection to our policyholders and we're happy you're a loyal and satisfied customer. We look forward to serving you for even more years to come!

Original review: June 3, 2021

United American Insurance has always been there and I've never had one bill. I get the reports monthly and never any out of pocket expenses.

United American Insurance response

Deborah, that’s what we’re here for! We’re happy to know we’re providing the best service and supplemental coverage possible! Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we’re doing and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Original review: April 30, 2021

I had United American at work and I've kept it ever since I retired in '99. I keep on paying and I haven't gotten much lately, up 'til now. It was extremely good. I got caught by that COVID-19, and it hit me hard, but I'm about to get well now.

United American Insurance response

Carol, we hope and pray you're doing well and continue to recover from COVID. We sincerely appreciate you and the trust you’ve placed in United American over the years. Thank you for being a loyal customer and we look forward to serving you again in the future!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

United American pays Darlene's bills. Her main concern is they pay the bills. United helps pay for her dialysis. If she was with the new Advantage Medicare, she would be stuck with the 20%. And that's not good because each one of those sessions are over $5,000. If she was to go into the hospital or get lab work, having to take care of her bills when it comes through has been smooth. And if I had a question, I can always call United. Or first I call Medicare and they make me understand what the bill is. And that's when they would say, “Well, her second insurance should take care of it.” And when I do, it doesn't come back to us. We're happy.

From the very beginning, their person who did the seminar was amazing, because it made me understand. Taking care of Darlene, I'm looking out for her benefits as if it was for me. How most elderly people look at their insurance is they don't want to pay so much. They want the cheapest. But the cheapest doesn't always pay everything in advance. For example, even when I tried to tell Darlene about it, she did not want to change because she’s used to being deducted 70 some dollars out of her Medicare to pay for her insurance. And then when this United came in, it went from 78 to 100 and some dollars.

I said, “Okay, here. You weigh it out. Write down how many times you go into the emergency room, go to your doctor's appointment and pay your co-pay, and you have to go in and pay for your lab works. You tally all those up for the whole year, not including the times you go into the hospital as far as your emergency coverage. Is it less than this 100? Take this 100 and some odd dollars, times 12 for one year, and you tell me which is cheaper.” And when she did, she said, “You're right. It's a lot cheaper.” I said, “Look. You get in the ambulance, you don't pay anything. You go to the hospital, you don't pay anything.”

She had to go to a home for physical therapy. Medicare only pays the first 21 days. Thereafter, you are responsible for the remainder if you still need physical therapy. And by having United health insurance, it was the best insurance she ever invested. We not only use this here in Florida. When we were in Albuquerque, she had her own room. She could eat in her own room. If she doesn't want, she can go out to the dining room. And the utensils were not paper plates, paper cups and plastic forks. It was forks, knives, spoons and dinnerware. That's how good the insurance was, that she was able to use it. And that was the most peaceful mind that I didn't have to worry about who was going to pay what. It was all taken care of. United is great.

United American Insurance response

Zita, we sincerely appreciate you choosing United American for your supplemental health coverage! It’s always a pleasure serving and protecting our valued customers and happy that you're satisfied with the time you've been with us! We appreciate you letting us know how we’re doing and look forward to serving you again in the future!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

When we got the insurance, the guy that we talked to was excellent and explained everything very well. I've recommended United American to multiple people and I explained to them why I use this insurance and how good it is.

United American Insurance response

Karol, thank you for taking the time to let us know how we're doing! Excellent customer service is a top priority and we're happy that the information was explained well and in a thorough manner. We look forward to serving you in the future and we appreciate you choosing United American for your supplemental health coverage!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

This company has done everything in its power to prevent paying out a very small $4000 life insurance policy that my mother had. They have lied to me, hung up on me and made it as difficult as possible. They told me to VOID the check they sent me and they would send one made out to her and guess what - they sent back the voided check that is not able to be used at all. After dealing with them SINCE MARCH they told me I was giving them the wrong address - and hung up on me. Somehow - they will pay this money she worked so hard for all of her life!

United American Insurance response

Tina, we're very sorry for the passing of your mother and we send our sincere condolences to you and your family. We'd like to investigate your mother's death claim further but need you to please send us via PRIVATE response your mother's name, her policy #, your phone #, and the best time to contact you. We apologize for this unacceptable interaction with our UA representative and look forward to hearing back from you with the needed information.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

United American Insurance just went up a whole bunch of money on me, but I guess that's because of my age. I’ve had it that long. Also, I'm legally blind. They didn't need to send me a whole lot of stuff to read because I can't. But it's okay. If I had a question, I just call a phone number I've got and ask questions if I want to know something.

United American Insurance response

Dianne, we appreciate your review of United American because listening to your feedback will allow us to improve the process of helping secure and deliver supplemental financial protection for our customers. Thank you for reaching out to us and we look forward to continuing to serve you for many years to come.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

I've been with United American for many years and when I go to the doctor, the bill gets submitted and they pay for it.

United American Insurance response

Maxine, it’s always a pleasure serving and protecting families with our supplemental financial coverage! We appreciate you letting us know how we’re doing and look forward to serving you again.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

United American has made going through them so easy. Sometimes, I get their payment sooner than Medicare's. Also, I can pay them by the year, quarterly, or half of it. And they let me know in plenty of time when I have to pay. One time, I skipped and called them. They said "okay", and they put me back on. I have been with them for many years since I was 65. I'm 88 now. They take care of everything. I have nothing but good things to say about them.

United American Insurance response

Barbara, thank you for your review. We appreciate you and the trust you’ve placed in United American for your supplemental health protection. Our goal is always to provide excellent service to our policyholders and we're happy you're a satisfied customer. We look forward to serving you in the future!

United American Insurance Company Information