3700 S. Stonebridge Drive, Dallas, TX

4.7/5 (53 ratings)

About United American Insurance

United American Insurance was founded in 1947 on four core values: stability, service, quality and commitment. Today, United American Insurance offers life insurance, cancer and critical illness insurance and Medicare Supplement Insurance policies. The premiums for its whole life policies never increase. The company works with local and home office agents to sell policies.

Pros

• Nationwide coverage
  • Strong critical illness policy
  • Several Medicare supplement choices

Cons

• Limited selection of policies
  • No online or live support

Bottom Line

United American offers Medicare Supplement Insurance and has limited policy choices for other insurance types, including life insurance and supplemental cancer insurance. It's available all throughout the U.S.

Top United American Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We’ve been happy with United American. Every time I take my mother somewhere, United American is accepted no matter where it is, and I don’t have to deal with referrals. Anything ...

Verified

I’ve been with United for about 30 years… They’re just a wonderful company and I will have them for the rest of my life. I love them. They take care of whatever if there’s any nee...

What is United American?

United American is a nationwide insurance company that offers Medicare Supplement Insurance, life insurance and supplemental cancer, accident and critical illness policies. Because its Medicare Supplement Insurance is accepted by all providers who take Medicare, it has no provider network. Policyholders can use United American in any state.

United American offers guaranteed renewal for Medicare supplemental policies as long as you pay the monthly premium on time. Its accident policy provides either a lump-sum payment or hospital stay coverage for up to 25 weeks. Its cancer and critical illness policies feature a lump sum for medical expenses at the patient’s discretion. Its critical illness policy is a good option for those with a personal or family history of major illness.

How does United American work?

United American offers insurance to groups and individuals in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Its local agents work with customers to select appropriate and affordable coverage. It offers individual Medicare Supplement Insurance, life insurance and supplemental policies for cancer, accident or critical illness, as well as group retiree health policies for employees and unions.

The company offers Medicare supplement policies A, B, D, G, K, L, N, C and F, but plans C and F are available only to those eligible for Medicare prior to 2020.

United American rates

United American’s supplemental Medicare policy costs vary from state to state and according to individual factors (e.g., gender and age). While you can request a customized rate, in general, monthly costs range from $80 to $200. Plans with copays or high deductibles have lower monthly premiums than other comprehensive plans.

United American Insurance FAQ

Where is United American available?
United American is available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Its Medicare coverage is accepted nationwide by all doctors who take Medicare.
What kinds of insurance does United American offer?
United American offers Medicare Supplement Insurance, life insurance and cancer, accident and critical illness insurance.
Who owns United American?
Globe Life Inc., a publicly traded insurance holding company, owns United American Insurance.
How do I apply for Medicare with United American?
You can apply for Medicare with United American Insurance through a local insurance agent. To request a consultation with an agent, visit the company's website.

Is United American Insurance worth it?

United American provides a variety of insurance policies at several price points. If you’re looking to buy Medicare Supplement Insurance, you’ll probably find coverage that fits your needs and your budget with United American. For those who wish to purchase more than one type of policy, such as a Medicare supplemental policy and life insurance, United American offers fewer options than other companies.

United American Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United American Insurance?

Original review: June 27, 2021

We've been with United American Insurance for 30 years and so far, we haven't had any problems.

United American Insurance response

JD, thank you for your review. We appreciate you and the trust you’ve placed in United American for the supplemental health protection of your family. Our goal is always to provide excellent service and protection to our policyholders and we're happy you're a loyal and satisfied customer. We look forward to serving you for even more years to come!

Get buying tips about Medicare Supplemental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 3, 2021

United American Insurance has always been there and I've never had one bill. I get the reports monthly and never any out of pocket expenses.

United American Insurance response

Deborah, that’s what we’re here for! We’re happy to know we’re providing the best service and supplemental coverage possible! Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we’re doing and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Original review: April 30, 2021

I had United American at work and I've kept it ever since I retired in '99. I keep on paying and I haven't gotten much lately, up 'til now. It was extremely good. I got caught by that COVID-19, and it hit me hard, but I'm about to get well now.

United American Insurance response

Carol, we hope and pray you're doing well and continue to recover from COVID. We sincerely appreciate you and the trust you’ve placed in United American over the years. Thank you for being a loyal customer and we look forward to serving you again in the future!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

United American pays Darlene's bills. Her main concern is they pay the bills. United helps pay for her dialysis. If she was with the new Advantage Medicare, she would be stuck with the 20%. And that's not good because each one of those sessions are over $5,000. If she was to go into the hospital or get lab work, having to take care of her bills when it comes through has been smooth. And if I had a question, I can always call United. Or first I call Medicare and they make me understand what the bill is. And that's when they would say, “Well, her second insurance should take care of it.” And when I do, it doesn't come back to us. We're happy.

From the very beginning, their person who did the seminar was amazing, because it made me understand. Taking care of Darlene, I'm looking out for her benefits as if it was for me. How most elderly people look at their insurance is they don't want to pay so much. They want the cheapest. But the cheapest doesn't always pay everything in advance. For example, even when I tried to tell Darlene about it, she did not want to change because she’s used to being deducted 70 some dollars out of her Medicare to pay for her insurance. And then when this United came in, it went from 78 to 100 and some dollars.

I said, “Okay, here. You weigh it out. Write down how many times you go into the emergency room, go to your doctor's appointment and pay your co-pay, and you have to go in and pay for your lab works. You tally all those up for the whole year, not including the times you go into the hospital as far as your emergency coverage. Is it less than this 100? Take this 100 and some odd dollars, times 12 for one year, and you tell me which is cheaper.” And when she did, she said, “You're right. It's a lot cheaper.” I said, “Look. You get in the ambulance, you don't pay anything. You go to the hospital, you don't pay anything.”

She had to go to a home for physical therapy. Medicare only pays the first 21 days. Thereafter, you are responsible for the remainder if you still need physical therapy. And by having United health insurance, it was the best insurance she ever invested. We not only use this here in Florida. When we were in Albuquerque, she had her own room. She could eat in her own room. If she doesn't want, she can go out to the dining room. And the utensils were not paper plates, paper cups and plastic forks. It was forks, knives, spoons and dinnerware. That's how good the insurance was, that she was able to use it. And that was the most peaceful mind that I didn't have to worry about who was going to pay what. It was all taken care of. United is great.

United American Insurance response

Zita, we sincerely appreciate you choosing United American for your supplemental health coverage! It’s always a pleasure serving and protecting our valued customers and happy that you're satisfied with the time you've been with us! We appreciate you letting us know how we’re doing and look forward to serving you again in the future!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

United American was recommended to me by a gentleman when I was still working. I was going on Medicare because I worked till I was 75. I was still with the other company that had group insurance. But there were some confusing things like who pays first on stuff. I took the plan that the gentleman recommended and was told to pay the extra money that it cost to have United American do the paperwork. I would then never have to look at another thing again. That has been the best investment that I've ever made in an insurance product.

With United American, it's automatic and you don't do anything. I pay for whatever it cost the whole year at the start of the year so I don't get a monthly bill. I paid them recently for 2021. I never get billed unless it’s some really weird off the wall thing where I'm in a hospital and suddenly Medicare doesn't cover it. United American is not cheap but you get what you pay for in this world. I have no qualms about what it cost and I intend to stay with them till the day I die. If everything in the world is as easy, convenient, and dependable as United American, it should be a great place to live. If people have any doubts in their mind on who to go with, they should pick United American if they have the money to pay for it.

United American Insurance response

Gary, thank you for choosing United American! We sincerely appreciate the trust you’ve placed in our company for your supplemental health coverage. Our goal is to always provide prompt and courteous service to our policyholders and we're happy that has been your experience. We look forward to serving you in the future!

Original review: July 9, 2021

United American is complimentary to the regular insurance that we have and it has helped out financially. Once in a while, I'm surprised that something isn't covered, but I haven't felt like complaining about it. I’ve been satisfied with their services.

United American Insurance response

Doris, thank you for choosing United American! We sincerely appreciate the trust you’ve placed in our company for your supplemental medical protection. Our goal is to always provide financial coverage through prompt and courteous service to our policyholders and listening to your feedback will help us do that more efficiently. We look forward to serving you in the future!

Original review: June 24, 2021

United has been good to my mother. She never owed a bill when she leaves the hospital. She's 97 years old and she has had that policy for many years.

United American Insurance response

Selest, it’s always a pleasure serving and protecting our valued customers with our supplemental health coverage. We appreciate you letting us know how we’re doing and we look forward to serving your mother in the future!

Original review: June 18, 2021

United American’s customer service has been good so far. I don't go to doctors often, but when I do, they accept my insurance. Everywhere I've gone, it has been accepted, which is helpful. I haven't had any out-of-pocket expenses.

United American Insurance response

Ann, thank you for choosing United American! We sincerely appreciate the trust you’ve placed in our company for your family's financial protection. Our goal is to always provide prompt and courteous service while offering comprehensive coverage to our policyholders. We look forward to serving you in the future!

Original review: June 12, 2021

United American Insurance is the best and I wouldn't even change if I get the opportunity. I only say nice things about them and I'm really the first one to say something nasty. Everybody's been wonderful when I've ever had to talk to anyone. The only thing I don't like is that they don't cover any drugs. I have to have a separate program for that.

United American Insurance response

Judith, thank you for choosing United American for your supplemental coverage! We sincerely appreciate the trust you’ve placed in our company for your financial protection. Our goal is to always provide prompt and courteous service to our policyholders and we're glad you're a satisfied customer. Also, listening to your feedback regarding our offerings will help us improve our coverage in the future. We look forward to serving you again soon!

Original review: June 4, 2021

I got the Medicare plan from United American Insurance and that's a great plan.

United American Insurance response

Dalys, it’s always a pleasure serving and protecting our valuable customers! We appreciate you letting us know how we’re doing!

United American Insurance Company Information