Accredited Partner

3700 S. Stonebridge Drive, Dallas, TX

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.05/5

United American Insurance was founded in 1947 on four core values: stability, service, quality and commitment. Today, United American Insurance offers life insurance, cancer and critical illness insurance and Medicare Supplement Insurance policies. The premiums for its whole life policies never increase. The company works with local and home office agents to sell policies.

United American Insurance Reviews

Original review: April 25, 2020

We have a home down in Florida. We met a guy there when we moved 20 years ago and we started being real close friends. He turned 65, and I was still about 63 at that time. He told me about United American. It just so happened that two doors down from them was David, who was a representative for United American. My wife was born a year ahead of me. She was turning 65 in a couple of months. So, the guy came over to our house where we live a couple blocks away, he explained the insurance to us and we went ahead and took it out for her. Six months later, I became 65. So then, I told David, "Look, I wanna get down on that also, the F plan," and he said, "Okay."

Back here in New Albany, where I was born and all, I knew a bunch of insurance guys and I asked them about it. They said, "Look, that F plan is probably not gonna be available in a couple years from now. It's really a good plan." And I said, "Well, I went ahead and got it down there." My company paid for my insurance and my wife's insurance for Medicare and drug program and all that kind of stuff. January 23rd of last year, I had to have a pig valve put in my heart. Medicare and United American paid every penny and my doctor told me it was probably about a half a million dollars that they put out. Plus, I had to go to rehab center for 10 days. I never paid a dime of that.

Between my Medicare and my health care insurance, United American, and my wife's and the few drugs plans we had through Social Security, it runs $800 a month. And what they paid just for my heart surgery, no matter how much money my company pays for my insurance, just in all the insurance, I'm way ahead of the game. It's not that I wanted to be ahead of the game, but people that don't go out and buy Humana or somebody in the drug program, you got a $500 deductible. My company pays through Humana $50 a month. That's $300 a year. I have a $500 deductible. If I didn't have one of my pills it would cost me $1700 for 90 pills which would take me for three months. And I'm already paying $50 a month to get that drug program through Humana.

When we went back to Florida, I even told David, "What you talked me into buying was fantastic." And he said, "Yeah. I told you it was good." So, I told a lot of other people. Then I found out from a friend of mine who I had spoken with that he got involved in selling it about two years ago. And he said he still sells it up here in New Albany, Indiana and it was because I told him about it, which I thought was coincidental. I'm totally satisfied with United American.

United American Insurance response

Joseph, that’s what we’re here for! We’re happy to know we’re providing the best service possible! Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we’re doing. We sincerely appreciate your kind words and we look forward to serving you again in the future!

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 14, 2020

They pay my supplement and I've never had a problem. They do a good job. The Medicare switches over whatever is left over and they automatically send it to United American and they pay the supplement. I'm satisfied. I spoke with them a couple of years ago when one of the doctor’s offices didn’t send the supplement. I had to call them up to tell them that they were gonna send it, and they said, “Fine, no problem.” So they sent it and that was taken care of. They're a good company.

United American Insurance response

Herbert, thank you for choosing United American! We sincerely appreciate you and the trust you’ve placed in our company for your supplemental insurance protection. Our goal is to always provide prompt and courteous service to our customers and we're glad your experiences reflect that. We look forward to serving you in the future.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

When I was working, I had Blue Cross Blue Shield. Then I went out on disability and I got a supplemental to my Medicare for about 15 years now with United American Insurance. Until about six months ago, I hadn’t had any unpleasant experience with United. But I had a problem when I moved into supplemental housing. I lost my home in the hurricane last year in Florida then I moved to Mississippi in a little apartment. Your income affects your rent and when I needed a letter from United stating what my monthly and quarterly payments were, I had a heck of a time getting that. It cost me three months rent and an increased rate simply because it was a couple of days late getting the information I needed. But I tried for three weeks.

One guy claimed he’d provided the information and he hadn’t. Then the next one was rude because he said the other guy had emailed the information. But evidently, he talked to the other guy and at the same time, I received the information from both of them on the same day. I was upset not because it hadn’t got done or that there was a problem, but that I was treated like that. He refused to email it to me because he said the other guy already had, and evidently, I didn’t know how to get an email. I had checked my deleted, my trash, and junk mails but I didn’t get their email. And regardless of that, he didn’t have to treat me like I was an idiot.

Aside from that, the premium is so terrifically high. It shouldn’t cost more than my rent and my utilities. Also, that one policy is a third of my monthly income, and I have no residual. And once I lost everything in the storm, that was a big deal. But I have not ever checked around to compare prices, if someone offered disability to retirement, simply because the policy did what it was supposed to do. Also, I’ve been sick and I should probably focus more on the pricing, but I’ve just hung in there with them.

United American Insurance response

Janet, we sincerely apologize the service you received wasn't completed in a timely manner. Providing our customers with excellent service is a top priority for United American and we're sorry that we didn't deliver the service you deserve and expect. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this or any other UA policy please send us a private message and we'll have a representative reach out to you.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

I have been with United American for my medicare supplement since I turned 65 in October of 2015 and they have have been there for me every step of the way. With this policy I am able to see any doctor of my choice with no questions asked! No referrals or hassle, I go anywhere I want. During my time with United American they have never increased my rates, they actually reduced my rate in November of 2017. I was in shock to see a insurance company lower rates. I would highly recommend anyone who is looking for Medicare coverage to consider a Supplement plan with United American.

United American Insurance response

Keith, that’s what we’re here for! We’re happy to know we’re providing the best service possible. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we’re doing and we sincerely appreciate you choosing United American!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

It's funny reading these reviews how a lot of them don't make any sense. One person said that she changed her policy from a Medicare Supplement to a PPO. If you make the change thru Medicare and don't tell the insurance company that you made the change of course they're going to deduct your account and send you a bill that's what all insurance companies do. Yes, the customer service department can be slow, but at least it's here in the United States and not in the Philippines.

Unfortunately, some agents trying to impress their clients give out the wrong number for customer service and give out the agent only number. Those girls can't and won't answer your question it's your agent that has an active agent number is the only one that can. The Life ins side of things is crazy. if you notice that you're going to pay more in than you get out, take a paid up policy for the amount that you have and walk away. If you paid 8,000 into a 5,000 dollar policy then that's your fault for being stupid. United American might have its faults but most of these reviews sound like lazy people not being proactive in their own life's and now they're blaming others for their laziness.

United American Insurance response

Thank you for your feedback, John. We always encourage our customers to reach out to their agent but if a response isn't given in a timely manner our customers can always call our United American Customer Service number at 1-800-331-2512. They will be happy to help or direct you to someone who can.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United American Insurance?

Original review: May 14, 2020

I’ve been with United for about 30 years and I’m very happy with them. They’re just a wonderful company and I will have them for the rest of my life. I love them. They take care of whatever if there’s any need immediately. Everything is a plus and I’ve recommended them to many people.

Original review: May 9, 2020

United American has been terrific. We've had them for years and when Medicare started, we started with United American, too. We’re elderly, and their insurance we had in addition to Medicare. There haven’t been any serious issues. I’m sorry I didn't have insurance for a few others things, like dental, when your mouth starts falling apart. But as far as I’m concerned, we have not had additional money we’ve had to pay. I’ve been in the hospital in the last couple of years for a few times. Medicare and the United American come and say, “You maybe have to pay such and such.” We’ve never been asked to pay any more.

United American Insurance response

Jane, thank you for your feedback regarding your experience with United American! We appreciate you choosing us for your supplemental insurance needs and we look forward to serving you again in the future!

Original review: May 7, 2020

United American Insurance was suitable for me and I continued to keep it. I like it and I’m satisfied with it. So far, everything has been okay. If I need something, it’s usually taken care of.

United American Insurance response

Violet, it’s always a pleasure serving and protecting families! We appreciate you letting us know how we’re doing and we thank you for choosing United American for your supplemental insurance needs.

Original review: May 6, 2020

I tried to call United American to find out how I could get some insurance on the medications, but I didn't get satisfaction from it. But everything's working out beautifully with United American. I’ve had them since way before Medicare. I paid straight 7,000 a month. I had a broken ankle, which sent me into rehab in the best place in San Francisco, the Towers. It didn't cost me one penny for 10 weeks. It’s been perfect with United American. My husband and I paid them a lot every month and I can’t complain about one thing. I tell the kids, “You should get that one.”

United American Insurance response

Dorothy, that’s what we’re here for! We’re happy to know we’re providing the best service possible! We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we’re doing and we thank you for choosing United American for your supplemental insurance needs.

Original review: May 5, 2020

My husband took care of all the things with United American and got medical supplement insurance from them. He’s been gone five years now and I just continued on with it because it was good to help with medical things. I was very satisfied with the program.

United American Insurance response

Reta, we send our sincere condolences to you and your family on the loss of your husband. We appreciate you and the trust you’ve placed in United American and we're honored that you chose to continue with us for your supplemental insurance coverage. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to serving you in the future!

United American Insurance author review by Joseph Burns

United American began in 1947 as a one-man enterprise. Today, it is a national health care insurer based in Texas.

• Several Medicare plans: Senior citizens will appreciate being able to choose between a variety of Medicare plans; they can choose the plan that best meets their needs.

• Critical illness and cancer plans: Consumers who cannot work due to injury or serious illness can get critical illness coverage, which offers cash benefits for the duration of a disability.

• Short-term and supplemental insurance: Consumers can short-term insurance while waiting for their permanent insurance to take effect.

• Specialized insurance: United American specializes in Medicare and supplemental insurance, meaning those who are under 65 may not find plans that meet their needs, in part because most plans are geared toward seniors and those who just need a supplement to other health insurance.

• Plan limits: Due to the nature of its insurance plans, United American doesn’t offer much in the way of coverage for routine health care visits. Plans typically cover hospital visits and other emergencies.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

United American Insurance Company Information