Accredited Partner

3700 S. Stonebridge Drive, Dallas, TX

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.39/5

United American Insurance was founded in 1947 on four core values: stability, service, quality and commitment. Today, United American Insurance offers life insurance, cancer and critical illness insurance and Medicare Supplement Insurance policies. The premiums for its whole life policies never increase. The company works with local and home office agents to sell policies.

BOTTOM LINE

United American offers Medicare Supplement Insurance and has limited policy choices for other insurance types, including life insurance and supplemental cancer insurance. It's available all throughout the U.S.

PROS

• Nationwide coverage
  • Strong critical illness policy
  • Several Medicare supplement choices

CONS

• Limited selection of policies
  • No online or live support

Top United American Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about United American Insurance?

We’ve been happy with United American. Every time I take my mother somewhere, United American is accepted no matter where it is, and I don’t have to deal with referrals. Anything we’ve been billed, between Medicare and the supplemental, has been fair.

I’ve been with United for about 30 years… They’re just a wonderful company and I will have them for the rest of my life. I love them. They take care of whatever if there’s any need immediately. Everything is a plus and I’ve recommended them to many people.

What is United American?

United American is a nationwide insurance company that offers Medicare Supplement Insurance, life insurance and supplemental cancer, accident and critical illness policies. Because its Medicare Supplement Insurance is accepted by all providers who take Medicare, it has no provider network. Policyholders can use United American in any state.

United American offers guaranteed renewal for Medicare supplemental policies as long as you pay the monthly premium on time. Its accident policy provides either a lump-sum payment or hospital stay coverage for up to 25 weeks. Its cancer and critical illness policies feature a lump sum for medical expenses at the patient’s discretion. Its critical illness policy is a good option for those with a personal or family history of major illness.

How does United American work?

United American offers insurance to groups and individuals in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Its local agents work with customers to select appropriate and affordable coverage. It offers individual Medicare Supplement Insurance, life insurance and supplemental policies for cancer, accident or critical illness, as well as group retiree health policies for employees and unions.

The company offers Medicare supplement policies A, B, D, G, K, L, N, C and F, but plans C and F are available only to those eligible for Medicare prior to 2020.

United American rates

United American’s supplemental Medicare policy costs vary from state to state and according to individual factors (e.g., gender and age). While you can request a customized rate, in general, monthly costs range from $80 to $200. Plans with copays or high deductibles have lower monthly premiums than other comprehensive plans.

United American Insurance FAQ

Where is United American available?
United American is available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Its Medicare coverage is accepted nationwide by all doctors who take Medicare.
What kinds of insurance does United American offer?
United American offers Medicare Supplement Insurance, life insurance and cancer, accident and critical illness insurance.
Who owns United American?
Globe Life Inc., a publicly traded insurance holding company, owns United American Insurance.
How do I apply for Medicare with United American?
You can apply for Medicare with United American Insurance through a local insurance agent. To request a consultation with an agent, visit the company's website.

Is United American Insurance worth it?

United American provides a variety of insurance policies at several price points. If you’re looking to buy Medicare Supplement Insurance, you’ll probably find coverage that fits your needs and your budget with United American. For those who wish to purchase more than one type of policy, such as a Medicare supplemental policy and life insurance, United American offers fewer options than other companies.

United American Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United American Insurance?

Original review: May 14, 2020

I’ve been with United for about 30 years and I’m very happy with them. They’re just a wonderful company and I will have them for the rest of my life. I love them. They take care of whatever if there’s any need immediately. Everything is a plus and I’ve recommended them to many people.

Get buying tips about Medicare Supplemental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 25, 2020

We have a home down in Florida. We met a guy there when we moved 20 years ago and we started being real close friends. He turned 65, and I was still about 63 at that time. He told me about United American. It just so happened that two doors down from them was David, who was a representative for United American. My wife was born a year ahead of me. She was turning 65 in a couple of months. So, the guy came over to our house where we live a couple blocks away, he explained the insurance to us and we went ahead and took it out for her. Six months later, I became 65. So then, I told David, "Look, I wanna get down on that also, the F plan," and he said, "Okay."

Back here in New Albany, where I was born and all, I knew a bunch of insurance guys and I asked them about it. They said, "Look, that F plan is probably not gonna be available in a couple years from now. It's really a good plan." And I said, "Well, I went ahead and got it down there." My company paid for my insurance and my wife's insurance for Medicare and drug program and all that kind of stuff. January 23rd of last year, I had to have a pig valve put in my heart. Medicare and United American paid every penny and my doctor told me it was probably about a half a million dollars that they put out. Plus, I had to go to rehab center for 10 days. I never paid a dime of that.

Between my Medicare and my health care insurance, United American, and my wife's and the few drugs plans we had through Social Security, it runs $800 a month. And what they paid just for my heart surgery, no matter how much money my company pays for my insurance, just in all the insurance, I'm way ahead of the game. It's not that I wanted to be ahead of the game, but people that don't go out and buy Humana or somebody in the drug program, you got a $500 deductible. My company pays through Humana $50 a month. That's $300 a year. I have a $500 deductible. If I didn't have one of my pills it would cost me $1700 for 90 pills which would take me for three months. And I'm already paying $50 a month to get that drug program through Humana.

When we went back to Florida, I even told David, "What you talked me into buying was fantastic." And he said, "Yeah. I told you it was good." So, I told a lot of other people. Then I found out from a friend of mine who I had spoken with that he got involved in selling it about two years ago. And he said he still sells it up here in New Albany, Indiana and it was because I told him about it, which I thought was coincidental. I'm totally satisfied with United American.

United American Insurance response

Joseph, that’s what we’re here for! We’re happy to know we’re providing the best service possible! Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we’re doing. We sincerely appreciate your kind words and we look forward to serving you again in the future!

Original review: March 27, 2020

United American has been very good throughout the years. We first heard about them through our insurance agent. I had a corporation and my business used someone else. They were also very good. We have a wonderful insurance policy, but the only comment I can make about United American that they’ve taken very good care of us. We appreciate it. Application with them has been so many years ago and it was not a problem. The only thing that they do for us over the years is supplement our social security, Medicare.

United American Insurance response

Joel, it’s always a pleasure serving and protecting families! We appreciate you letting us know how we’re doing and we thank you for choosing United American. We look forward to serving you in the future!

Original review: March 14, 2020

They pay my supplement and I've never had a problem. They do a good job. The Medicare switches over whatever is left over and they automatically send it to United American and they pay the supplement. I'm satisfied. I spoke with them a couple of years ago when one of the doctor’s offices didn’t send the supplement. I had to call them up to tell them that they were gonna send it, and they said, “Fine, no problem.” So they sent it and that was taken care of. They're a good company.

United American Insurance response

Herbert, thank you for choosing United American! We sincerely appreciate you and the trust you’ve placed in our company for your supplemental insurance protection. Our goal is to always provide prompt and courteous service to our customers and we're glad your experiences reflect that. We look forward to serving you in the future.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

When I was working, I had Blue Cross Blue Shield. Then I went out on disability and I got a supplemental to my Medicare for about 15 years now with United American Insurance. Until about six months ago, I hadn’t had any unpleasant experience with United. But I had a problem when I moved into supplemental housing. I lost my home in the hurricane last year in Florida then I moved to Mississippi in a little apartment. Your income affects your rent and when I needed a letter from United stating what my monthly and quarterly payments were, I had a heck of a time getting that. It cost me three months rent and an increased rate simply because it was a couple of days late getting the information I needed. But I tried for three weeks.

One guy claimed he’d provided the information and he hadn’t. Then the next one was rude because he said the other guy had emailed the information. But evidently, he talked to the other guy and at the same time, I received the information from both of them on the same day. I was upset not because it hadn’t got done or that there was a problem, but that I was treated like that. He refused to email it to me because he said the other guy already had, and evidently, I didn’t know how to get an email. I had checked my deleted, my trash, and junk mails but I didn’t get their email. And regardless of that, he didn’t have to treat me like I was an idiot.

Aside from that, the premium is so terrifically high. It shouldn’t cost more than my rent and my utilities. Also, that one policy is a third of my monthly income, and I have no residual. And once I lost everything in the storm, that was a big deal. But I have not ever checked around to compare prices, if someone offered disability to retirement, simply because the policy did what it was supposed to do. Also, I’ve been sick and I should probably focus more on the pricing, but I’ve just hung in there with them.

United American Insurance response

Janet, we sincerely apologize the service you received wasn't completed in a timely manner. Providing our customers with excellent service is a top priority for United American and we're sorry that we didn't deliver the service you deserve and expect. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this or any other UA policy please send us a private message and we'll have a representative reach out to you.

Original review: June 25, 2020

Original review: June 20, 2020

My husband and I went to one company and we were able to get a Medigap policy at that time. It's a very good thing to have. Medigap pays the policy but United American pays promptly when it's eligible and sends a notice to me.

Original review: June 14, 2020

Mama had been using United American for years and I knew the insurance man too. The rep came to the house and he was thorough. It was just insurance when I first got it. I wasn’t old enough but it’s a supplement now. The experience has been very good and I will recommend it.

Original review: May 9, 2020

United American has been terrific. We've had them for years and when Medicare started, we started with United American, too. We’re elderly, and their insurance we had in addition to Medicare. There haven’t been any serious issues. I’m sorry I didn't have insurance for a few others things, like dental, when your mouth starts falling apart. But as far as I’m concerned, we have not had additional money we’ve had to pay. I’ve been in the hospital in the last couple of years for a few times. Medicare and the United American come and say, “You maybe have to pay such and such.” We’ve never been asked to pay any more.

United American Insurance response

Jane, thank you for your feedback regarding your experience with United American! We appreciate you choosing us for your supplemental insurance needs and we look forward to serving you again in the future!

Original review: May 7, 2020

United American Insurance was suitable for me and I continued to keep it. I like it and I’m satisfied with it. So far, everything has been okay. If I need something, it’s usually taken care of.

United American Insurance response

Violet, it’s always a pleasure serving and protecting families! We appreciate you letting us know how we’re doing and we thank you for choosing United American for your supplemental insurance needs.

United American Insurance Company Information