Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
1.05/5

3700 S. Stonebridge Drive, Dallas, TX

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

104 United American Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 31, 2019

I am 78 years old. Been paying on my policy for 20 years. I called them and said I would have to pay until I was 100 years old. The policy was for 5,00.00 I have paid in $8000.00. I asked to surrender the policy and stop bank drafts and send me a refund. They took all my information. Said I would get a check in 7-10 days.

No check. Called back. 2nd time same response. No check. 3rd time told to go online and send information. No check. 4th time same message but said couldn't read information. To resend. This has been going on for 1 month. No check. No response. Getting runaround. I have mailed everything no response. Anita **. I think it is a scam.

Original review: March 22, 2019

We have a Medicare supplement insurance with this company, I thought it was a good program and a good value, that is until you have a problem and need customer service to follow through. Their policy is to make excuses and get you off of the phone as fast as possible. "There is a glitch in the system,", "That department is out to lunch", "I promise to return your call within the hour", are just a few of the excuses they have to get you off of the phone and not help. I have had a simple issue with them for 4 months now and it is still not resolved, terrible customer service. Based on that I would not recommend this company.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I just tried to look online for the provider phone number. I have a Medigap policyholder also. I called my policy holder's number. I put my ins number in as requested, a recording came on and then I was hung up (tried 3 times). People ask me all the time for a good supplement insurance, never will recommend them again. There is no excuse to treat your customers this way. I am changing my ins to another company and that I do not to pay for CROSSOVER FROM MEDICARE. WHY IN THE WORLD AM I PAYING TO HAVE MEDICARE CROSSOVER TO UNITED AMERICAN INS??? Their customer service has destroyed my respect for the company. You are only as good as your employees!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

In 2003 I purchased a Renewable Term Policy, a Surgery and Hospitalization Policy and a Cancer Policy. My premiums have been drafted always so never missed one or was late. It was $348 a month for all three. I didn’t realize it at the time but now I know they are super expensive to what is available out there. Shop around, don’t buy from this company. Most importantly because they don’t pay their claims. I did not do due diligence and just now come to find out I’m paying $98 dollars a month since 2003 for benefit of $48,000. That’s highway robbery. Today in 2019 sixteen years older and I got $500,000 term for 20 years for only $112 a month. Shop around please.

On the Surgical policy I filed a claim in 2012 because I had a surgery. I filed in April of 2012 and up to today nothing was processed on my claim. I called many times and they always told me that they would call me back but they would not. I mailed, faxed, and emailed docs many times and they said they had nothing but yet would know how much the surgery was. Finally today I was told that they CANNOT do anything with claim unless I have a CMS 1500 form. Why did they not tell me that when I initiated my claim? After 7 years and I have continued paying. I have paid over $28000 dollars and they have not done anything to pay my claim of $16000. Please look elsewhere. AIG is good and so is Metlife for life insurance in my experience.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

This complaint involves Nick **, CLTC Independent Medicare Health Consultant #** State of FL Agent Number. Several months ago I contacted him in reference to health insurance as I would be retiring 01-31-2019. He was very helpful until I began asking pointed questions and expressed concerns about United American Health Insurance. Due to personal and unexpected medical issues I stopped communicating with him. This week I began to receive demanding text messages from him. I explained my reasons for not getting back to him and the final message that I received was beyond anything I could imagine.

Below is his final response to me. "Let me say this about your entire message is full of baloney. I still have all our messages and you texted me NUMEROUS TIMES in Nov and Dec. Your last sentence tells me all about lack of class (phone calls and mail too). I gave you COUNTLESS times of knowledge expertise and valuable information. It doesn't bother me that you went elsewhere because that happens. WHAT BOTHERS ME THAT YOU LIED AND LIED and try to cover it up. You had many many months to prepare and your cancer analogy is BEYOND LAUGHABLE. So happy you are NOT my client?" I explained to him that I am dealing with a breast cancer diagnosis and the above is how he responded. This is upsetting, callous and extremely unprofessional. I do want anyone else to go through what I am going through.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United American Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

They kept sending us bills. We cancel them in Dec. We picked another ins. co. They had the nerve to send us a bill for Dec and Jan. We spoke in Dec. and they still send us bills. I stop them from going into my bank acct. Whatever you do do not let them take the fees out of your bank acct. Also it takes forever to talk to anybody. I am so glad I got rid of them different plan. I now have Harvard which was cheaper. And easy to call and work with.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

They refuse to take themselves off as a secondary of mine to Medicare. I worked for a company that they provided insurance. That company went bankrupt and United hasn't had me as an insured since 12/1/08 and is not a secondary, but are still on Medicare. Medicare says United has to remove themselves. They can't do it. Over all these years whenever I need medical Medicare is billed and United still has me as their secondary. I now have cancer which means many bills which my secondary doesn't receive. I then get dunning letters from the doctors et al. Reading these other reviews proves to me they should not have a license.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Had an Agent who lives in Lake Worth Florida contact me through a family relative. "TRUST ME I will take good care of you". I should have known just then to hang up on him. I turned 65 last August and he advised me that I HAD to go on Medicare. I advised him I was still employed and had a Company Hospitalization Plan. "You're 65 and you're entitled to this program. You worked for it," he tells me. What about my wife who is 3 years my junior?? "Oh she can go on Cobra the next three years. Don't worry." I sign up for Medicare at his direction and he sells me this top notch supplemental plan that I would never have to pay out of pocket for anything.

Shortly thereafter I go in for a routine Doctor's visit and they take all of my Medical Cards. Blue Cross, Medicare and of course the super duper plan that Old Ben sold me. Weeks later I am notified that nothing is covered and I owe for the visit out of pocket due to the fact I have yet to me my Co-pay for my group health Insurance. Contact my Great Found Friend Ben and he tells me not to worry. It's just a mix up and he will get it handled. Week goes by I contact him again and he tells me to get in touch with him later next week and WE will call Medicare together. I am now paying Medicare quarterly $403.00, Supplemental policy for $272.95 and my group coverage for $308.00 per month. I reach out to him again and am told he will get it corrected. It is just an error. Not to worry.

Another trip to the doctor and it as the last visit is not covered. Now I'M angry. A year has passed and I am paying monthly all these fees and have yet to hear from good old Ben. Being frustrated I meet with a couple of agents locally as I live in Ohio. They immediately advise me I have been clearly misled and I need to cancel the policy, remove myself from Medicare as I have a Company Sponsored Health plan and demand my premiums be refunded. I start with my outstanding new found friend Ben the agent who told me to TRUST HIM. I lay it out in black and white and minutes later he responded by e-mail telling me to CALM DOWN. He understands I am upset however he can cancel the policy and get all of my premiums refunded.

Minutes later he leaves me a voicemail 4 minutes and 7 seconds telling me the same thing and not to get upset because he will have to Lawyer Up!!! Well here we are weeks later and he doesn't respond to e-mails, United American does not respond and I have now filed a complaint against he and the Company with the State Of Ohio Department of Insurance. Both of these folks will soon be listed in a lawsuit due to the fact I have been lied to and paid out nearly $6,000.00. Do yourself a favor and stay clear of one or both of these businesses. The agent simply states it was a MISUNDERSTANDING!!! He clearly lied to me, misled me and totally misrepresented the product.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

My sister-in-law is in a long-term facility at $3200 a month. A claim was filed with UA for the 4th month (must be in facility 90 days before claim can be filed at end of 4th month). A claim was faxed to UA with confirmation by the long-term care facility. Ten days later they say they have not received it. It was faxed and mailed again when they could find no record of them receiving the first one. Another 10 days later, they say they have not received a claim. I asked to speak to a supervisor today and got a recording. You are put on hold for hours just trying to talk to someone. To anyone trying to make a decision on a policy for long-term care, YOU DO NOT WANT THIS COMPANY! This has to be insurance fraud at its worse. Consumers pay for years for these policies while insurance companies get rich by not paying up. Note the other reviews - NO 5's, NO 4's, NO 3's, only two 2's and multiple 1's.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I have had insurance with United American since 2007. Fortunately for me, I have been relatively healthy and not had to file claims. Unfortunately, I needed surgery last summer to repair a torn rotator cuff. With about $20,000 in bills, UA is leaving me with over $16,000 to pay. I have made multiple calls and written letters without much help or even a satisfactory explanation. Their policy is worthless. I would owe less if I had negotiated a self pay cost. Stay away from UA!

Original review: March 29, 2018

This place is horrible!!! Please don't feel like you're desperate enough to give this crap hole one penny of your hard-earned income!!! I am soooooo thankful I have "real" health insurance now... so literally not that much more per month. I have a family history of breast cancer... I now owe a collection agency over 3 thousand dollars because of a series of tests. Please read the very tiny fine print before signing anything for this insurance company!!! They cover NOTHING. They don't even deserve one star.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Please read the small print before you buy. The price might be within your price range, but may not cover you in case of a claim. Customer service should be another concern if you are looking at coverage with this company.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2017

When I signed up for this plan through an agent, I was told I had to have the payments deducted automatically from my bank account. After a year I switched to a Medicare advantage plan, having been told by Medicare that enrolling in a new plan meant being taken off the old one. I was shocked to find, in my Jan bank statement, that United American deducted payment for January ($309). I called them the next day and finally spoke to someone after a 45 minute wait! I told them I was on another policy and demanded a refund. Fortunately, I called my bank and told them not to allow any more deductions. The next week I received a bill from United American - for February.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

I have had a life insurance policy on my mom for 13.5 years with United American. While waiting for the death certificate for my mom to be issued, I called United American Insurance to find out what they needed from me. I was told @ that time that it takes approximately 15 days to process a death benefit claim. I sent the requested documents on 10-18 via PRIORITY mail. I was under the misguided notion when your client sends something to you Priority it goes to the top of the pile. I got over that. I called to check the status of my claim on 11-04 & spoke to Ebony. She told me that claims take up to 3 wks to process but that she would check the status & return my call. She did not. I called her back, that is when I found that my documents were 'received' 10-24.

I called to check the status of my claim a few times during the week of 11-07 & everyone says up to 3 wks to process a claim. One person even put me back in the queue of calls. On 11-10, Marduk acted as if she was doing me a favor by taking my call & not hanging up on me. On 11-11 I called & asked for a supervisor. Shantrell told me that all of the supervisors were in a meeting all day. She asked for my contact information so that someone would call me later. I asked the name of the supervisor that would be returning my call, she told me Kim. Kim did not call. 11-14 would be 3 wks, by their count.

I called 11-17, to find out the status of my claim. I cannot express how undone I am when Renee` informs me that it is being processed 'accordingly'. I asked according to what!? She informed me that it is being processed 'accordingly'. 11-18 I called & asked for a supervisor, Justin would like to know the details so that he can let the supervisor know. I gave him the details, but he doesn't have clearance to view my policy. He speaks with a team lead, & whomever he was speaking with doesn't have clearance either. Oh! And all the supervisors are in a meeting all day, but he will send an urgent email so that I will be priority.

I asked him the name of the supervisor that would be returning my call, he says Kim **. She did not return my call. 11-21 I called & asked for the superior of Kim **. LaSheema would like to know the details. I am hesitant to go through this again with someone who doesn't have any authority, but I do. Again I am told that it takes up to 3 wks. I inform her that it is PAST 3 wks & again I ask for a superior. She told me that Kim was not in the office 11-18. I told her that is not what I was told, & again I ask for a superior. She transferred me to someone's vm. I left a msg & I said that I would be contacting the NC Dept. of Insurance, that I wanted the check sent to me via next day air.

This company has made the death of my mom more traumatizing than what it already was. They take their payments like clockwork, why is it this difficult to get death benefits? What makes this more difficult is I posted ALL of this last night on their FB page & shared it on my page. Not 10 minutes later, they commented, apologizing & wanted my contact information so that they could reach out to me. I thought to make things right. Nope, this morning they deleted the posts & all comments.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2016

Reading these horror stories made me realize just how lucky I was. I was scammed out of $30,000 in premiums from 2010 through 2013 and learned when I had back trouble that their policy was totally worthless. When Obamacare came in in 2014 I quickly dumped these crooks and bought a Blue Cross Gold Policy. The next year I turned 65 and bought a Blue Cross Blue Shield Medicare Advantage Policy. Just last month I was hospitalized 7 days for pneumonia. My Medicare Advantage Plan has a yearly out of pocket cost limit of $3500. I shudder to think what I would have owed had this happened just 3 years before. UA are nothing but thieving crooks.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2015

I needed pain medication for surgery and post surgical. This company denied coverage as medically not necessary. Both my surgeon and my regular doctor appealed as I was in great pain from lumbar surgery. They called with a ridiculous password ID system while I was on my recovery bed in great pain. When I finally got the info they needed their message was they were declining my appeals as the RX for pain medication they claimed was not necessary and not covered.

United American thus knew more about my condition and what I needed that my surgeon and medical team taking care of me. I could not afford the medication without insurance so I had to go without it. This is a rotten, stinking company. Do not use them for your Plan D coverage as they will screw you in your time of need just as they screwed me. Open Enrollment is around the corner and you can bet I will dump them ASAP. They are horrible.

Original review: July 11, 2015

I recently had to change drug plans so I contacted Medicare and the representative helped me find a comparable nationwide plan which would cover my medications in all states. Well I get a letter stating that I should find a replacement medication for the medicine ** XR Caps. I am aware that this medication is usually prescribed to children and/or with ADD/ADHD. I have Multiple Sclerosis and my one debilitating symptom is fatigue. I have already tried several other drugs to combat this symptom and many were antidepressants that made me so sleepy that I would sleep the day away or I looked like a doped up zombie. I also tried ** and it worked until it messed up my stomach so bad, my doctor discontinued it for me. It didn't make sense that it did nothing for the fatigue except to say, I could not sleep when I needed to.

So going thru more 'step therapy' is not the answer for me since I have been experimented on enough at this point. I have been on the generic form of ** for at least 7 years and it is noted in my medical records so why not request them instead of making me jump through the same exact hoops again. I'm also aware that this is a highly sought after drug of pill poppers on the street across the nation, though I am not abusing my meds. I do not tell anyone what I take for fear it would be stolen. With that said, it is always hidden and not kept out of its hiding place.

Original review: June 1, 2015

I have had insurance through United American since 2008 which means that I have paid them at least $15,000. I have never had any major surgeries until April and May 2015. The one surgery alone costs $20,765 and it shows that United American will only pay $3000. In my opinion, that is definitely a rip off considering how long I have been with this company and the amount that I have paid. I will definitely be looking for a new insurance company. It's pretty sad that there are so many bad reviews and this place is still in business.

Original review: May 5, 2015

My wife has not yet received the check. Been over two months and is getting nowhere with the people she calls.

Original review: April 28, 2015

2013 - signed up with UA for 2014 Part D. All was fine. Fall 2104 signed up for a new UA plan. Trusted UA to coordinate with Social Security to deduct from my SS check and pay UA. Failed to happen. I paid Jan and Feb. out of pocket. Learned today (4/28/15) that SS had paid then took money back from UA for those two months. I kept getting reassurance from US/customer service that SS would pick up payments, not to worry, but then would receive letters of non-payment. UA was unclear from the get-go about the process and failed to help get things squared with SS. I was just told by their Resolution specialist that I owe them for an unpaid month. The saga with UA is time consuming and totally inefficient. Did SS fail or UA? UA claims that they have no responsibility to resolve issues with SS and specifically to demand payment. I have not had any previous problems with SS. I will change insurers this coming Fall.

Original review: April 16, 2015

I purchased their Medigap insurance policy. After purchasing, I was informed that it would cost an additional $6.95 to have them do the "crossover" with Medicare or I would have to file all claims myself. I have had Medigap insurance for many years and this is the first time I was charged to have the claims processed. I'll be leaving United American as soon as I can. Real rip off artists. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Original review: March 23, 2015

Signed up after going over costs, formulary etc. Was denied a medication that I had been getting for over 10 years. Called customer service (45 minutes on hold) and was told that it was taken care of and the medication was approved. This turned out to be a lie. What followed was a barrage of robo calls from UA that required an input of Medicare #, AU account #, and date of birth.

What followed was the info that the medication was denied. I also received 8 letters from CVS Caremark telling me the same thing (this took place in the space of 4 days). When I called customer service to inquire as to why my bill due 3/1 had not yet arrived as of 2/26 the agent said the billing period was for 2/10 and it could take up to 14 days to generate. Anyone on Medicare knows it begins on the first day of the month of your 65th birthday. I can't wait for 1/16.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2015

In October I signed up for Medicare part D. After a in-depth review of the formulary drugs covered on each plan the government website stated that United American Prescription would be the best choice. I enrolled and thus far every script I have had filled has resulted in a formal letter stating that drug which is generic is no longer on the formulary list. More recently, I was informed by my pharmacy that I did not have any prescription coverage. After again contacting the company I was told that I was given new group and bin numbers. It had changed names to CVS /Caremark. This seems illegal and I do not know how formulary drugs can be removed monthly from the list.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2015

Rx Problem 1: I switched my Part D coverage from Blue Shield to United America as of 1/1/15 based on premium and drugs costs on the medicare.gov website. One of my drugs was listed as $3 for a 30 day supply at a local retail pharmacy with United American. This is what I paid under my previous plan. When I picked up the Rx, the cost was $24.51. When I accessed the website of UA, the drug was listed as $24.51, not $3. I was told by my pharmacy to clarify this directly with UA. I have placed a call to them and I have now been on hold for 45 minutes.

Rx Problem #2: My doctor changed the dosage of a generic drug I have taken for years. It was submitted to CVS Caremark, the mail order pharmacy for UA. When I received the Rx, I received the brand drug and not my usual generic. In addition, I was charged $14.61 for a prescription for which I used to pay $0. I emailed Caremark and received an automated reply that it was the policy to use substitute this brand name drug when the generic drug on my Rx was prescribed.

Naturally, I was perplexed because I had been prescribed a generic. So I spent more than an hour on the phone with Caremark. The rep explained that UA's policy is to substitute Rx's with a generic equivalent drug and that in this case, the generic equivalent is the brand drug! This seems unethical to me. When I complained, Caremark didn't bat an eye and said they would fill the Rx with what was actually prescribed (generic) and would send me a mailer to return any unused pills of the brand name drug. When they received the mailer, they would issue a refund. I am so upset that I have to deal with this company for a year and will examine every Rx transaction very carefully. I cannot warn you enough to research plans prior to subscribing. I leaned my lesson. Jan 2016 can't come soon enough.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2015

I have tried to get information about policy benefits that were not addressed in the booklet. Four times I have waited on the telephone line for over half an hour and get nothing except that monotonous message saying I will be helped momentarily. Is there really people working at the end of these phone lines? Such poor service if you need a question answered. Can't wait to switch! I also want to question the premium taken out of the bank account, which is much higher than what the online chart says it should be. Sure would like some help with these questions.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2014

Gave them my drug list and they said they covered them. They took out their monthly fee and when I went to get my prescriptions, SURPRISE. "We don't cover that." Claimed it was a new policy even though I had just joined days prior. Then when I want to cancel it, get the run-around. "We have to mail you a form" which takes a week for me to get. Then I fax it back and a week later, they call and say it is unreadable. Fax again and told it takes 3 days to receive a fax. Call back 3 days later and, "we can't find it." Ask to speak to someone in charge. Well only 1 person in that department can help me, they are not in and have no boss. No direct # to that department and I can't be transferred. They are a scam!!!!

Original review: July 3, 2014

They took extra money $4.00 a month out of my checking account. When I got this life insurance policy it was supposed to be for $5,000. When I received the policy it was for $3500. I should have realized it was a bad deal then. This bunch of legal thieves out to be in jail. DON'T USE THIS CO. They will get you.

Original review: April 24, 2014

They promised no donut hole gap in 2014 when they raised the prices last year. Boy did they lie. Spiriva went from $35 in March to $140 in April And Percoset went from $12 to $80 in one month. Try to talk to them is Insane.

Original review: March 22, 2014

Does the term Bait and Switch mean anything to you? Remember Jim Carrey In Liar Liar? Is it a training issue, is it a scripting issue? If an anal, cranial-ectomy was possible I would schedule one for the entire executive board and senior management team of this company. How can you do so much wrong to so many good people. SHAME ON YOU AND YOUR CEO. Its time for a customer satisfaction survey and ask for real feedback on your opportunities for improvement. Make sure it's postage paid. You are raping and pillaging your customer base. They will not be able to afford the stamp to return it to you. Listen to your customers before the population learns how you operate and the downsizing of your company begins and you are bought out by a private equity group who will break you up and sell you off like crickets for snakes.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2014

I'm reading the same type of complaints about United American over and over. I have had the same problem in getting for one of my providers. The tactics that United American uses to delay payment are repetitive. Always asking for either different paperwork, or resubmission of the paperwork that has already been submitted. They illegally cancelled my Medigap policy last year. My written contract gives two ways that my policy can be cancelled, either by non-payment of the premium or by a WRITTEN notice from me. When I realized that I hadn't received my monthly bill, I called only to be told that I had cancelled my policy.

They never gave me a real reason for the cancellation. They did tell me that I had CALLED them three weeks earlier and cancelled my policy, which was a complete fallacy. They have told me that if I want my providers to be paid in a timely manner that I must pay a "crossover" fee of $6.95 a month to coordinate benefits with Medicare. They can't send me an application in a written format, but they will take my money over the phone if I give them an account to charge it to.

I have contacted my State Representative’s office via email and they are now doing a Congressional Inquiry into United American's business practices. I urge everyone who has had or who is having problems with United American Insurance Company to contact their State Representative so that this company can be exposed and either fined, or put out of business. They haven't had any problems cashing the checks I send in every month. They just have a problem with paying for the services even when every piece of "proper" paperwork has been sent in.

It's my opinion that they illegally cancelled my policy last year because I actually use my health insurance benefits. If I hadn't been paying attention to my monthly bills, they would have been able to get away with a legal cancellation because my premium would have gone unpaid beyond the "30 day grace period". They were ever so kind to offer to take my banking information and take my monthly premiums from my bank. Did I trust them to take automatic payments on a monthly basis? Absolutely NOT. This is a non-trustworthy bordering on scamming company. Policy holders - BEWARE!

United American Insurance expert review by Joseph Burns

United American began in 1947 as a one-man enterprise. Today, it is a national health care insurer based in Texas.

• Several Medicare plans: Senior citizens will appreciate being able to choose between a variety of Medicare plans; they can choose the plan that best meets their needs.

• Critical illness and cancer plans: Consumers who cannot work due to injury or serious illness can get critical illness coverage, which offers cash benefits for the duration of a disability.

• Short-term and supplemental insurance: Consumers can short-term insurance while waiting for their permanent insurance to take effect.

• Specialized insurance: United American specializes in Medicare and supplemental insurance, meaning those who are under 65 may not find plans that meet their needs, in part because most plans are geared toward seniors and those who just need a supplement to other health insurance.

• Plan limits: Due to the nature of its insurance plans, United American doesn’t offer much in the way of coverage for routine health care visits. Plans typically cover hospital visits and other emergencies.

• Best for: Senior citizens

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

United American Insurance Company Information