3700 S. Stonebridge Drive, Dallas, TX

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.76/5

United American Insurance was founded in 1947 on four core values: stability, service, quality and commitment. Today, United American Insurance offers life insurance, cancer and critical illness insurance and Medicare Supplement Insurance policies. The premiums for its whole life policies never increase. The company works with local and home office agents to sell policies.

BOTTOM LINE

United American offers Medicare Supplement Insurance and has limited policy choices for other insurance types, including life insurance and supplemental cancer insurance. It's available all throughout the U.S.

PROS
  • Nationwide coverage
  • Strong critical illness policy
  • Several Medicare supplement choices
CONS
  • Limited selection of policies
  • No online or live support

Top United American Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about United American Insurance?

We’ve been happy with United American. Every time I take my mother somewhere, United American is accepted no matter where it is, and I don’t have to deal with referrals. Anything we’ve been billed, between Medicare and the supplemental, has been fair.

I’ve been with United for about 30 years… They’re just a wonderful company and I will have them for the rest of my life. I love them. They take care of whatever if there’s any need immediately. Everything is a plus and I’ve recommended them to many people.

What is United American?

United American is a nationwide insurance company that offers Medicare Supplement Insurance, life insurance and supplemental cancer, accident and critical illness policies. Because its Medicare Supplement Insurance is accepted by all providers who take Medicare, it has no provider network. Policyholders can use United American in any state.

United American offers guaranteed renewal for Medicare supplemental policies as long as you pay the monthly premium on time. Its accident policy provides either a lump-sum payment or hospital stay coverage for up to 25 weeks. Its cancer and critical illness policies feature a lump sum for medical expenses at the patient’s discretion. Its critical illness policy is a good option for those with a personal or family history of major illness.

How does United American work?

United American offers insurance to groups and individuals in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Its local agents work with customers to select appropriate and affordable coverage. It offers individual Medicare Supplement Insurance, life insurance and supplemental policies for cancer, accident or critical illness, as well as group retiree health policies for employees and unions.

The company offers Medicare supplement policies A, B, D, G, K, L, N, C and F, but plans C and F are available only to those eligible for Medicare prior to 2020.

United American rates

United American’s supplemental Medicare policy costs vary from state to state and according to individual factors (e.g., gender and age). While you can request a customized rate, in general, monthly costs range from $80 to $200. Plans with copays or high deductibles have lower monthly premiums than other comprehensive plans.

United American Insurance FAQ

Where is United American available?
United American is available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Its Medicare coverage is accepted nationwide by all doctors who take Medicare.
What kinds of insurance does United American offer?
United American offers Medicare Supplement Insurance, life insurance and cancer, accident and critical illness insurance.
Who owns United American?
Globe Life Inc., a publicly traded insurance holding company, owns United American Insurance.
How do I apply for Medicare with United American?
You can apply for Medicare with United American Insurance through a local insurance agent. To request a consultation with an agent, visit the company's website.

Is United American Insurance worth it?

United American provides a variety of insurance policies at several price points. If you’re looking to buy Medicare Supplement Insurance, you’ll probably find coverage that fits your needs and your budget with United American. For those who wish to purchase more than one type of policy, such as a Medicare supplemental policy and life insurance, United American offers fewer options than other companies.

United American Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United American Insurance?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

United American pays Darlene's bills. Her main concern is they pay the bills. United helps pay for her dialysis. If she was with the new Advantage Medicare, she would be stuck with the 20%. And that's not good because each one of those sessions are over $5,000. If she was to go into the hospital or get lab work, having to take care of her bills when it comes through has been smooth. And if I had a question, I can always call United. Or first I call Medicare and they make me understand what the bill is. And that's when they would say, “Well, her second insurance should take care of it.” And when I do, it doesn't come back to us. We're happy.

From the very beginning, their person who did the seminar was amazing, because it made me understand. Taking care of Darlene, I'm looking out for her benefits as if it was for me. How most elderly people look at their insurance is they don't want to pay so much. They want the cheapest. But the cheapest doesn't always pay everything in advance. For example, even when I tried to tell Darlene about it, she did not want to change because she’s used to being deducted 70 some dollars out of her Medicare to pay for her insurance. And then when this United came in, it went from 78 to 100 and some dollars.

I said, “Okay, here. You weigh it out. Write down how many times you go into the emergency room, go to your doctor's appointment and pay your co-pay, and you have to go in and pay for your lab works. You tally all those up for the whole year, not including the times you go into the hospital as far as your emergency coverage. Is it less than this 100? Take this 100 and some odd dollars, times 12 for one year, and you tell me which is cheaper.” And when she did, she said, “You're right. It's a lot cheaper.” I said, “Look. You get in the ambulance, you don't pay anything. You go to the hospital, you don't pay anything.”

She had to go to a home for physical therapy. Medicare only pays the first 21 days. Thereafter, you are responsible for the remainder if you still need physical therapy. And by having United health insurance, it was the best insurance she ever invested. We not only use this here in Florida. When we were in Albuquerque, she had her own room. She could eat in her own room. If she doesn't want, she can go out to the dining room. And the utensils were not paper plates, paper cups and plastic forks. It was forks, knives, spoons and dinnerware. That's how good the insurance was, that she was able to use it. And that was the most peaceful mind that I didn't have to worry about who was going to pay what. It was all taken care of. United is great.

United American Insurance response

Zita, we sincerely appreciate you choosing United American for your supplemental health coverage! It’s always a pleasure serving and protecting our valued customers and happy that you're satisfied with the time you've been with us! We appreciate you letting us know how we’re doing and look forward to serving you again in the future!

Get buying tips about Medicare Supplemental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

I went through a broker who analyzed my medical needs and matched them up best with the plan from United American Insurance. I've had the insurance with them for several years and everything seems to be working fine. But it would be nice to get a summary every year of what is included.

United American Insurance response

Paul, that’s what we’re here for! We’re happy to know we’re providing the best service possible for your supplemental insurance needs. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we’re doing and please feel free to send us an email at eservicecenter@unitedamerican.com with your name, policy #, the reason for your email, and the best time to contact you. We'll have a representative reach out to you about the year-end summary inquiry.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

I’ve had United American for several years and they’re very good. The premium is high but it’s worth it. They pay out, which is all that matters to me. I don't have to worry. I appreciate their service and I've never had any problems with anything. After Medicare pays, the insurance picks up and does what they're supposed to.

United American Insurance response

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, Wilma! We're glad you're happy with the efficient process we have of paying out claims and appreciate your constructive feedback on our premium prices. We look forward to serving you in the future and we appreciate you choosing United American!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

United American was recommended to me by a gentleman when I was still working. I was going on Medicare because I worked till I was 75. I was still with the other company that had group insurance. But there were some confusing things like who pays first on stuff. I took the plan that the gentleman recommended and was told to pay the extra money that it cost to have United American do the paperwork. I would then never have to look at another thing again. That has been the best investment that I've ever made in an insurance product.

With United American, it's automatic and you don't do anything. I pay for whatever it cost the whole year at the start of the year so I don't get a monthly bill. I paid them recently for 2021. I never get billed unless it’s some really weird off the wall thing where I'm in a hospital and suddenly Medicare doesn't cover it. United American is not cheap but you get what you pay for in this world. I have no qualms about what it cost and I intend to stay with them till the day I die. If everything in the world is as easy, convenient, and dependable as United American, it should be a great place to live. If people have any doubts in their mind on who to go with, they should pick United American if they have the money to pay for it.

United American Insurance response

Gary, thank you for choosing United American! We sincerely appreciate the trust you’ve placed in our company for your supplemental health coverage. Our goal is to always provide prompt and courteous service to our policyholders and we're happy that has been your experience. We look forward to serving you in the future!

Original review: April 25, 2020

We have a home down in Florida. We met a guy there when we moved 20 years ago and we started being real close friends. He turned 65, and I was still about 63 at that time. He told me about United American. It just so happened that two doors down from them was David, who was a representative for United American. My wife was born a year ahead of me. She was turning 65 in a couple of months. So, the guy came over to our house where we live a couple blocks away, he explained the insurance to us and we went ahead and took it out for her. Six months later, I became 65. So then, I told David, "Look, I wanna get down on that also, the F plan," and he said, "Okay."

Back here in New Albany, where I was born and all, I knew a bunch of insurance guys and I asked them about it. They said, "Look, that F plan is probably not gonna be available in a couple years from now. It's really a good plan." And I said, "Well, I went ahead and got it down there." My company paid for my insurance and my wife's insurance for Medicare and drug program and all that kind of stuff. January 23rd of last year, I had to have a pig valve put in my heart. Medicare and United American paid every penny and my doctor told me it was probably about a half a million dollars that they put out. Plus, I had to go to rehab center for 10 days. I never paid a dime of that.

Between my Medicare and my health care insurance, United American, and my wife's and the few drugs plans we had through Social Security, it runs $800 a month. And what they paid just for my heart surgery, no matter how much money my company pays for my insurance, just in all the insurance, I'm way ahead of the game. It's not that I wanted to be ahead of the game, but people that don't go out and buy Humana or somebody in the drug program, you got a $500 deductible. My company pays through Humana $50 a month. That's $300 a year. I have a $500 deductible. If I didn't have one of my pills it would cost me $1700 for 90 pills which would take me for three months. And I'm already paying $50 a month to get that drug program through Humana.

When we went back to Florida, I even told David, "What you talked me into buying was fantastic." And he said, "Yeah. I told you it was good." So, I told a lot of other people. Then I found out from a friend of mine who I had spoken with that he got involved in selling it about two years ago. And he said he still sells it up here in New Albany, Indiana and it was because I told him about it, which I thought was coincidental. I'm totally satisfied with United American.

United American Insurance response

Joseph, that’s what we’re here for! We’re happy to know we’re providing the best service possible! Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we’re doing. We sincerely appreciate your kind words and we look forward to serving you again in the future!

Original review: March 29, 2021

I called UA before my husband, a Vietnam Vet, went to Korea to visit an old army buddy. He was to be gone for 3 months. He left on October 27th, 2020 and was to return on January 19th, 2021. I called UA to find out if he was covered for any medical issues while he was gone. They said yes, he was covered, and whatever Medicare may have covered here in the US, that's what they would cover there, at 80%. I felt secure in my decision to have him go on his trip. As it was, a terrible thing happened to him. Two days before he was to return home to the US, he was outside by himself, and he fell on the ice and cracked his head. His occipital bone was fractured, he was rushed to the hospital by ambulance, and had to remain there for 7 weeks. He had a severe brain injury, and was finally sent to rehab 6 weeks in.

The total hospital bill was $44,000 (this was for all ICU, ambulance, full hospital stay and rehab). I began sending the bills to UA and started the claim process. But every time I called to check on the disposition of the claim, I was told they would not speak to me, they needed to speak to my husband, who could not speak. During this very dismal time that I could not be with him due to Covid, this insurance company refused to speak to me. All bills have been sent in. My husband is now home, after receiving exceptional care at the hospital in S. Korea. My calls to UA go unanswered. I see that no claim has been filed that I am aware of. Even though I FedEx'd all reports and bills to them.

One CS rep said to me: Well, the accident needed to happen within the first 60 days of his trip. I was NEVER told this when I called to see if he would be covered. NEVER. So here I sit, still without so much as an email or a phone call from UA providing me with any sort of a disposition at all. During this very dark time, I have been treated cruelly and without empathy by this company. I still have not been contacted by them. I started sending papers in on February 5th, and the last papers on March 11th. I plan to contact the Insurance Board and the Attorney General's office about this horrendous treatment. I have been a customer for 5 years, and I can't believe how unprofessional this organization is. Shame on them! Seriously!

Original review: March 26, 2021

It's very, very expensive, but I get my money's worth. I don't have to fight them to pay the supplemental bills. They've paid the bills.

United American Insurance response

Anne, it’s always a pleasure serving our valuable customers! We appreciate you letting us know how we’re doing and we look forward to serving you in the future!

Original review: March 13, 2021

My mom had this insurance for like 11 years when my dad used to work for Bethlehem Steel, and then they lost her insurance. At that time is when they had to look for something else. She got United American Insurance. Between all the ones that she had checked out, that was the one that must have been most suitable at the time. I've been sending checks for her. The people from United American Insurance have been great. I call them and it's like they understand. They give you a grace period with COVID. They were very polite and very nice to me. So, when I call them, I never expect to have any kind of issues. They're really good to work with.

United American Insurance response

Brenda, thank you for taking the time to let us know how we're doing! We sincerely appreciate your mom choosing United American and the trust she placed in our company for her financial protection through our insurance coverage. Our goal is to always provide prompt and courteous service to our customers and policyholders. We look forward to serving you and your mom in the future!

Original review: March 12, 2021

I spoke to a representative and everything was done right. The one thing I love about it is that the doctors aren't limited. That's very important. Some of the other plans, they get you and then they knock off the doctors that you use, and then you have to go find a doctor within network or get a new doctor. Neither one of those are good answers to the problem. So I like the fact that doctors are covered, everybody gets paid, we're all happy, and my life is easier.

United American Insurance response

Rebecca, that’s what we’re here for! We’re happy to know we’re providing the best service and coverage possible! Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we’re doing and we look forward to serving you in the future!

Original review: March 11, 2021

It was great when I signed up with United American. I went to an independent insurance agent and she asked me the names of my doctors, what pills I take, and how often I go to the doctor. Then from that, she came out with what she then recommends is the best company for me to go with, and it was United American.

United American Insurance response

Pamela, thank you for your review. We appreciate you and the trust you’ve placed in United American for your supplemental health coverage. We look forward to serving you for years to come and we appreciate you choosing United American!

United American Insurance Company Information