Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
1.17/5

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

135 WellCare Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 22, 2019

I am so sorry I didn't read all the reviews before purchasing a policy with WellCare! They are the worst to deal with. They can't get anything correct and I can't wait for the year end to drop them! Aside from the language issues they put you on hold to then transfer you to another person that can't help either. How on earth do they stay in business??? The first time I went to get a prescription filled for cough syrup the pharmacy said I was cancelled. I called them and they said they didn't have complete information after billing me for 2 months premiums and sending 2 mail order scripts to me already. Really? Just horrible customer service!

Original review: March 22, 2019

This has to be the worst insurance anywhere it should not be permitted to have a license. Every other week there is another problem with WellCare. Not even the Government is as messed up as this. The customer service disgraceful. No one there knows what's going on. Keep getting transferred from one incompetent person to another. What a nightmare this is.

Original review: March 21, 2019

This company is the WORST! My Husband was assigned this company as his Part D Medication Service through Medicare in January, 2019. THANK GOD they put me with Cigna instead. We have paid more for his meds than we could have paid with NO coverage. But now we are stuck till October open enrollment. They are rude, DO NOT SPEAK proper English, and treat you like garbage. Do yourself a favor and DON’T sign up with them.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Florida's Gov DeSantis put me on Staywell Medicaid in January 2019. I tried using Staywell all over Panama City and Bay County but all the doctors and pharmacies haven't accepted Staywell for years. I lost my free clinic because of Mr. DeSantis' generosity and now I need blood thinners for my mitral valve. I went to Gulf Coast hospital's er today and got blood thinner refill while I wait for right/wing Florida to switch me over to Lighthouse HMO on April 1. Florida just sucks as a state in everything.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I enrolled with WellCare as my first attempt to entered the Medicare world. What a disaster it has been. First enrolled for a specific date and that was changed upon attempting to communicate with the Philippines agents. Was told they had fixed change. Now three weeks later and having received at least 15 letters for WellCare this evening attempted to (again) try to have "Reich" Supervisor at WellCare stop the madness. Was not satisfied with her response and attempted to speak with Manager "Norman". After holding for 10 minutes was told Norman was on another call however he had time to tell her that they would handle it. If I had to do this over I would not go with WellCare due to their poor customer service and inability to handle concerns and issues. Please if looking at this company do your homework better than I did.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WellCare?

Original review: March 12, 2019

After signing up for their drug coverage, receiving a prescription card, paying premiums, and even getting a prescription filled, when we went back for the refill we were informed the policy had been canceled. Like other reviews state, these folks do not speak English as their primary language and do not understand what you are trying to tell them. I was transferred 3 times and each person was just as ignorant as the first. When we signed up for coverage we were not taking medications, now that we are the policy gets canceled. This is my first posting and tomorrow the letter writing and phone calls will begin. My first call will be to my agent, then Medicare, and then insurance fraud.

Original review: March 11, 2019

WellCare prescription drug plan for Medicare should change its name to Death care. They will deny medications prescribed by your doctor, they will waste time always asking for prior authorizations from your healthcare provider. My mother was prescribed a medication by her Dr to prevent pneumonia and choking, and they denied her this medication. Their help desk is located in the Philippines, and is totally useless. I strongly advise anyone thinking of using this prescription plan to not do it.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I am a long time member who is current in the middle of a health crisis. My plan has failed me because it requires too many people to sign off and get specific benefits approved, it takes too long to get a specific issue moved from one desk to another, it takes too long to get to customer service on the phone, it takes too long to find someone who understands the issues, benefits and what needs to be done. Meanwhile, if you are sick or experiencing some health issue, you just keep getting sicker because your health plan with this company is aggravating and frustrating you along with the fact that you are not getting the specific benefit you have been expecting and waiting for. Even when you final a grievance, that, too, takes too long to move through the complicated and very, very slow process to get to a resolution. I never can talk to anyone who understands or reports any of the problems I report to them about my frustrations with their operation.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Spoke with local doctors in Rochester NY to find that none of them will accept WellCare. Most will not even grant an appointment if you have them. Providers say WellCare doesn’t pay well and difficult to even reach customer service. I had to change to get providers that would see me.

Original review: March 6, 2019

You spend hours on the phone trying to get your problem solved and you are just transferred from one person to another with hold lasting 15 to 20 minutes to 30 minutes and never get to anyone who can provide an answer or even understands what you are asking. I will be looking for alternatives to WellCare AdvantageCare next year. I was with Texan Plus and had no problems but this co. bought them out and I have issued complaints with no solutions.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Everyone who has Wellcare needs to leave now while there is time. This is the penultimate WORST CS I have experienced in my life-as a customer and as a Nurse Practitioner. The reps cannot speak OR understand English; they are clueless, inept, incompetent and dumb as rocks. They are unable to answer even simple questions so they just hang up--this has happened to me repeatedly. I cannot express how disgusted I am. I'm leaving this company. I called Medicare and filed a complaint and the rep said she has heard several complaints about this "company".

Original review: March 4, 2019

Called 5 times and spent over two hours on phone. And one of those call was from my doctor's office. They change their story each time I called. No dosage, two scripts, ran out of refills. This was the worst company I have ever dealt with in my whole life. Each person I talked with did not know what to do. I will run out of medicine tomorrow. After over a month I have no results. Good luck if you have to deal with this company.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

The out-of-pocket cost for any script (brand or generic) is well above other carrier providers. Premium amounts are also well above average. Customer service over-the-phone is a nightmare. Reps are poorly trained for phone calls, have no knowledge of their own company services or insurance regulations in general. Misinformation is a constant problem when calling in. The members' website is as basic as it gets. No online support is available for account self-service so contacting CSRs by phone is the only way to get problems or updates resolved. My advice to anyone seeking PDP coverage: Do not use this provider.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I find it hard to believe that this company is actually certified by Medicare to offer Part D. It has to have the worst customer service EVER. I signed up for WellCare after three years with a different company because that company's premiums became too high. I take no medications whatsoever but know that I need to have some sort of coverage because I will pay a penalty if I ever do need Part D and don't have coverage. It took me more than a month to pay these people. I didn't even get an email stating how to set up an online account. I got a response to an email more than a month after sending it. Figuring out how to weed through their website is difficult. I cannot imagine a company that does less to get business. I would hate to have to deal with them if I ever actually needed any sort of medication and had a problem getting it.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Started with the Elite Medicare Advantage Plan on January 1, 2019. The plan's formulary is not as mainstream as most other plans. They would not cover my wife's diabetic drugs with the prescription the primary care had written. My dermatologist wrote a prescription for a cream for me to use and it was not covered but for 30 days and I had to pay over $58.00 to have it filled. My Gastroenterologist ordered an MRI which they denied. The customer service is the pits. I never got answer why, just that they did not have the request. I still have not received a written explanation as to why. Just today my GI ordered another procedure which they also denied because I had decided to return to Optimum Medicare Advantage plan before it was too late.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I agree with everyone who has said that the customer service is very poor. The representatives are very hard to understand and they have a problem understanding you. I was transferred three times and still did not have a resolution. So far my husband and I have received our medications. I hope we have no major issues before the next Open Enrollment. Inexpensive premiums are not always worth it.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Two months ago, after completing the arduous task of enrolling my mom in Medicare, I was asked to sign her up with one of five supplemental carriers. I chose the one her doctor accepted. I called and mailed in the application on her behalf. United Health Care... Because her doctor accepts them and they are darned good at what they say they do. Today Laguisha ** from Wellcare sashays into my mom's room at the nursing home and starts interviewing her and then asks her to sign up. These folks try the end-around with the poor souls in nursing homes who do not have an advocate. Their service is abysmal and their practices are predatory.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Do not sign up for this company. Their agents lie about the benefits this company provides. My mother had Medicare for more than 5 years. In December, we made the horrible decision to switch to WellCare. People, PLEASE DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THIS COMPANY. We have invested more than 50 hours, no exaggeration, with various people that work for this company and with prescription companies, as this company says that my mom is not eligible for a prescription that she has been taking for 4 months before we switched.

Also, we have tried to cancel in January and still are unable to get back into Medicare as of Feb 18, 2019. They told us "you can cancel anytime and at the end of the month, your insurance switch back to Medicare", we are well past the end of the month - still haven't switched. This cheating company is only after making money off of the State of Texas without providing any service. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I've had the same frustrations with Wellcare Customer Service, and I just started on January 1. Instead of complaining here, I did some research on the Medicare site: **. There, I found the contact info for the Senior Director of WellCare Customer Service, Jason Bollent, for my state (Maine) and found his name associated with other states as well. I sent him an email outlining my CS issues, and he did respond promptly. Time will tell if this is an effective method of complaint, but it looks promising. If he hears enough of the horror stories outlined here, maybe they will take some action and make some changes. His contact info: **, or something similar to that. Good luck.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

We have over 4 hours invested and they still can’t get it right! The plan came back with the wrong effective date. We have called in 4 times - each one at least an hour. These people are incompetent! I don’t think we will ever get to the point of using the coverage. If they can’t even issue a policy correctly how in the world will they be able to make insurance payments. I wish 0 stars was an option.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Contacted Wellcare to find out pricing on my drug plan. Was on the phone for over an hour to get pricing on five meds I take and still didn't get the information I needed. I ask where the lady from the call center was located as she could not speak good English and could not understand English. I had to repeat and spell every drug at least 4 or 5 times. She was from the Philippines. I was promised a call back from her supervisor but have yet to get one two days later. Found out today from our local CVS some of the information she gave me was not correct. Worst customer service I have ever experienced. This is frightening as they are dealing with people's lives. Horrible.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Terrible. No one signed up for this but somehow my 95 year old mother is enrolled. I told them she does not need or want this and yet they sent a payment book. Told them it's not getting paid. Simple. Told them to call me when they figure out what they are doing. I told them she is on Medicaid long term care and she does not need it. And again they speak in broken English. Hard to understand? Stay away. They will drive you crazy.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

As many other reviewers have stated, there is no way to communicate with these people! I have tried for weeks to register online, but the registration page will not take my information. I tried calling, but as others have said, I reached someone who barely spoke English and was no help at all. I am having to MAIL my monthly premium in. There is no way to pay online. Totally unacceptable!!! Like many others, I switched to WellCare this year for the cost savings, but this is the worst service I have ever experienced.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

If you want answers to any questions, call the person who sold you the policy. I tried to get some information on a policy to make my first payment since I didn't receive my policy or member number. The first person, who barely spoke English, told me she can't help without my member number and put me on hold. I finally hung up after 11 minutes. The second girl was even worse, she spoke some ** language and was pretty nasty, she also put me on terminal hold after asking for my SS#. I only held for 9:45 minutes this time. The third time was exactly like the other two.

When attempting to sign up online you have to have your account number so that wasn't much help. I will wait until I get a notice of cancellation, if I get one, and try to sign in online. The customer service is the absolute worst I have ever seen, that includes from the old days of offshore Microsoft help. I would rather pay for the prescriptions without a plan than to endure the WellCare people.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Worst customer service I EVER experienced in 50 years of business. Customer service passes you from one dept. to another & clearly have not been trained. Service is an off-shore & comments delivered in terrible English in phone lines that remind me of the 1980s when it rained. Wish I could give less than 1 star. Took me 4 hours over a 2 day period & still lacking info I need.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

My husband NEVER signed up for this plan, yet they have sent him a bill monthly for the past 3 years. He has tried repeatedly for the past 3 years to get this cancelled. After finally being able to get a customer service rep on the phone last night, we spent an hour trying to get this cancelled, and still NOTHING! They said he has to put cancellation request in writing. What happened to the other 36 that he has mailed in?

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Don’t try to call them. I have talked to three people and not one of them was trained properly. My question was simple. I just needed to know what my co pay would be on a medication. This doesn’t seem to be too much to ask. They simply couldn’t give me an answer that was understandable.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I was recommended to get WellCare by my Medicare Insurance Advisor because of the cost savings for me. I tried to register online and at the end of the registration confirmation it states "Your temporary password will be e-mailed to ** within 24 hours." It has been 36 hours and still no password. I emailed them 3 times asking where is my temporary password. No response. I phoned them. I was put on hold for an hour after which I simply hung up. I have a life to lead and can't be running around with this phone playing horrendous music while I WAIT ON HOLD. I hung up and called back and the operator seemed to feel that 1 hour was NOT excessive hold time and now that I called back, I would be placed at the end of the line again. After another hour on hold, I just hung up and have given up.

I also feel I made the mistake of signing up for mail delivery of my maintenance drugs. Honestly, if I had not phoned them, I would have hung up because the call was like a SPAM phone call! The girl who was taking my information could not be heard due to a HORRENDOUS phone connection. She didn't know what to do to get me signed up for mail delivery. Her name was Debby **, by the way. So if you ever get her, hang up and call back and pray you get someone else!!! She didn't know if she should take my credit card number to charge for mailed drugs until I suggested she do that! Every time I gave the number, she got it wrong.

Immediately after hanging up from that call, I regretted trying to do mail pharmacy. So I called my local CVS pharmacy and made sure I could still get prescriptions through them and just walk in there to pick them up. Of course, when they checked, WellCare had NOT tried to refill any of my scripts. I honestly believe it would take WellCare at least 6 months to figure out how to do that if ever.

WellCare, in my opinion, if the most inept company I have dealt with. Sometimes when people get the least expensive drug program, they get what they pay for. Now I am STUCK with this horrible company for the next year. I will NOT renew with them. If anyone knows how I can change plans, please let me know! After reading all of the other reviews here, I see that I'm not alone!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I understand that companies use cost savings tactics in order to boost profits but please don't in the expense of the consumer. It is quite clear that Well Care outsourced their customer service to The Philippines, fine and dandy, but at least contract with a company that has employees with an excellent command of the English language. November 16, 2018 at 23:19:52, I called Medicare and enrolled in the Well Care Value Script (PDP). Since I had not received my ID cards from Well Care, I called Well Care 888-550-5252. I was advised that my application was declined because had not provided proof that I have Medicare Part A and Part B.

Since I had enrolled thru Medicare, I thought that would have that information, then I discovered that my surname was just the letter "C", not even the beginning of my surname. After three weeks of dealing with ignorant, not knowing anything, individuals in "Customer Service", I asked to speak with a supervisors and was transferred to a representative in the good old USA, had an excellent command of the English language however I was advised that I would have to speak to the enrollment department which was in The Philippines.

I went along the charade and was transferred to Natalie who assured me that my account would be activated by noon today. She gave me confirmation number. I called today, Saturday, afternoon and was told that I was told that I would have to wait until Monday because the escalation department was closed on the weekend. I stayed on the line after the call to participate in the survey which at the end of the survey I was asked if I would recommend Well Care and I replied, "NEVER!!!"

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

A medicare representative recommended WellCare to my mother as the plan that would best suit her, and enrolled her. We thought all was well until we received a letter from WellCare telling us that she was cancelled. I have spent in excess of 5 hours on the phone with them, only to be put on hold, disconnected, or being transferred. I don't know why they are called "customer service" because they do absolutely nothing but transfer the call to another foreigner who also does absolutely nothing. They are dealing with senior citizens' health and well being and obviously don't care who they hurt. 0 stars is my review.

WellCare Company Information