Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.09/5

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

WellCare Reviews

Original review: March 28, 2020

If you know the Philippine language you will be fine, but English is a second language at Customer Service. You must INSIST (their words) for them to transfer to an English speaking person. For the money I dish out this is a shameful way to save the company money. At another location this company received three stars. I bought their insurance based on that. It should never have received that rating. For me they are zeroes.

Original review: March 23, 2020

My husband sent Wellcare two electronic funds transfer (ACH payment) for both his drug plan and mine. The payments covered us both for the entire year, through to the end of 2020-- each payment was 158.40. The two separate payments were designated for each of us on the memo line of the ACH payment. However, only one ACH payment was posted - it was to my husband's account. No ACH payment was posted to my account. In fact, Wellcare insists no payment was made to my account. However, my banks has proof that Wellcare deducted two ACH payments from our checking account--One from my husband with his name on it and one from me with my name on it. I repeat, Wellcare only posted one of the two ACH payments.

Two weeks ago, Wellcare sent me a notice saying my account was overdue and if I do not pay it immediately, they will terminate my drug plan. We have spent the last two weeks getting the runaround from Wellcare -- over the phone – waiting on line for hours on end and then, when we finally reach a person, they send us to their accounting department where we wait again to speak with someone. and then, the accounting department claims only one ACH payment was received -- namely my husband’s. They did not post the second ACH payment to my account – which, I emphasize, had my name on it. We have proof that Wellcare took the ACH payments out of our account. They tell us we must pay them again. I will not. Wellcraft MUST give us an accounting of my ACH payment they took from our account. Buyer beware is all I have to say.

Original review: March 20, 2020

Well Care was the insurance that essentially took over from Aetna between 2018 and 2019 for my father is on Medicare and was using Aetna and then Well Care for his prescription drug coverage. When I called in January to confirm that the transition was handled smoothly, the customer service agent told me that everything was fine and he could get his prescriptions. About a month later, I find out that the pharmacy is unable to accept his prescription drug coverage. Odd, because WellCare accepted a payment and they informed us everything was fine.

The first time we call customer service, we were informed that because Aetna was showing non-payment before the transition, that WellCare would not cover my dad. They had already accepted payment. Furthermore, upon calling Aetna billing department, they discovered the non-payment issue was a mistake. This is about 2 hours into a phone call with WellCare customer service. They inform us that the issue will need to be escalated to a manager to handle and they would return our call in 24-48 hours.

24 hours later, we do get a call back but the issue is not fixed, as the management team has not even opened the escalation. They promise to call us back in 24-48 hours. 48 hours later they call back. The new customer service agent though, didn't have any idea on what the original problem was (like he didn't read all the notes), and then once the situation was explained again, he still couldn't solve the problem. It needed to be escalated. He promised an agent would call back in 24-48 hours. It has now been 5 more days of waiting with no news, no solution. My father has now been without meds for over a month. WellCare is still accepting our money and not providing the service they are paid for.

Cumulatively my father and I have been on the phone with WellCare customer service for over 8 hours, and still no solution. To a problem that is not our fault, and was a mistake from the beginning. I am so overcome with dissatisfaction and fear that my father is not getting the prescription drugs he needs for his health, and we don't have the money to pay for the drugs out of pocket, in hopes of getting refunded later. WellCare has been a NIGHTMARE to deal with since the beginning, I feel like they are blowing smoke, and I DO NOT recommend them at all. We are still waiting on a solution.

Original review: March 19, 2020

I asked for a record of monthly premium payments. I changed banks and the old bank wouldn't supply the records without a stiff charge. I contact Wellcare and told them I needed the record. They said it would take 14 business days. Over 14 business days later - nothing. I called again and was told they would expedite it. I would receive a call the following day. No call. This is for my tax preparation and the refund amount is crucial due to the virus emergency. I was told they would email me the needed documentation.

Called again and after long waits the person came on and said they would expedite it and what was my address. My tax appointment is tomorrow. The sooner I get the claim in the sooner I'll get a return. I switched coverage this year because of consistently poor service like this. Avoid at all costs unless you like waiting on hold, being given wrong information.

Original review: March 18, 2020

Attempted to get 4 Rx transferred to them vs. Kroger. After over a half hour wait for a live person, the employee got disconnected (their end) and did not call me back. As a healthcare exec, I find this service to be abysmal. Having someone wait 30 minutes for a live body is bad. Disconnecting the customer and not calling back when they have my number is worse.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WellCare?

Original review: March 13, 2020

Like many on here I transitioned in from Aetna. I was told three different things about how they were handling previous prior authorizations from Aetna, first that they would just be covered and rolled over and that was not the case when February 2020 came around and I started receiving denial letters for all my meds. Every time I call the prior auth department it seems like they just hire people off the street who have no knowledge of the WellCare computer system or how PAs work and just read off a script so if you have any questions it will completely throw them and they just give you the wrong answer to try and get rid of you. This is life and death for a lot of us and for WellCare to hire incompetent staff is irresponsible and inexcusable. They need to be investigated for fraud as they need to be held responsible for the misinformation their representatives are communicating to customers.

Original review: March 10, 2020

I paid my plan for 1 full year (my check was cashed). Then, I received a second payment book. I called the customer service and spoke to a supervisor who was an offshore person. He told me the reason I received 2 payment booklets was due to my address.... My address was the same on both booklets. Plus, the supervisor could not tell me what the address discrepancy was (since both were the same). I have a strong feeling this company is receiving double payment from members. Not to mention the waste of paper, which is passed on to - us the consumers. You bet next year Medicare enrollment comes around, I will not be signing up with this company again. They need audited and $ returned to those who paid double!!

Original review: March 9, 2020

WellCare is in the top 5 worst companies I have ever dealt with in 60 years. Promised smooth transition from Aetna, which I had 15-20 years with no problem, but even after hours spent on the phone, Wellcare can still not fix the problem. This is extremely serious. I cannot and should not have to pay for my medication. I will go into withdrawal if I can't get a couple of my medicines. I've spent $$$, that I shouldn't have needed because pharmacies say my PDP is terminated. This has been going on since the first of the year! Why is it still going on? I could die from this - no joke. I wonder if anyone else had this problem or if it is just me? Wellcare get your damn act together. This is absolutely ridiculous and shows a complete disregard for people like me.

Original review: March 8, 2020

Over two weeks of ** calls to Well-care Authorize Dept. In order for them to provide a ride to to a hospital that is 120 miles away. I live in a rural state. The two specialist I need to be seen by locally are want to be doctors that can't be anywhere else. They left a a deep hole in my leg open wound. It hasn't healed now going on five months. The wound has now spread and is affected elsewhere. Left from misdiagnosed treatment by their local specialist. They keep telling me everything is all set to go. So I call transportation that day to call they say it is outside their 30 mile radius. Will not provide transportation. So far three appointments have been canceled. Meanwhile my wound is spreading like wild fire from the size of a silver dollar to now four inches wide by six inches. Do they care. No.

They sent me a lot gauze pads that are useless. The tread gap is large. You are better off just using sewing thread and wrapping the wound that way. So stay away from their pharmacy over the counter. You will do just as good going to to the Dollar Tree. Nothing but the cheapest Chinese garbage they could find. Thank god I rejected their offer on wrist braces. They most likely fall apart removing them their packaged. Well-care Medicare, Medicaid, MaineCare, insurances is not accepted by real doctors. Worst care providers around only accepts their insurances.

Original review: March 4, 2020

I called their customer service AGAIN because of an ongoing issue--I can't log in to the portal to order OTC items. The call took 45 minutes and I was asked for my Member ID and state I was in 4 or 5 times because the incompetent rep kept closing herself out of the screen she was on. Anyway, she told me that my username was all lower case letters and they had since changed the criteria, requiring an upper case letter. (For USERNAMES?) She said that usernames "stay with you forever" and that nobody can change it, that customer service can only change passwords. I laughed and asked her if she was telling me I could never log into my account again, which she confirmed! She said something like "you'll just have to call when you want to order OTC." Un-freaking-believable. You have to be ** kidding me. I filed a grievance immediately after talking to her. Great customer service, WellCare! Keep it up!

WellCare Company Information