Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
1.14/5

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

Amerihealth Reviews

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Ms ** was very helpful to confirm the renewal of our policy for the year 2020. She made sure that All the information was satisfactory and was willing to be of further assistance to find a primary doctor.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

I've been dealing with billing issues with AmeriHealth since late 2018. I make my payments every month. They cancelled my policy due to "non-payment." I sent them proof of payments. They discover that my payments were being misapplied to an old policy I had through the marked place. They send me a check for $2800, the credit balance on the old account, because they said they couldn't apply it to the correct policy. I was instructed to then send them a payment of $2400 to reinstate the cancelled account. I did exactly what they said. Then I call to make the next month's payment, because the patient portal information is wrong again, and I don't feel comfortable making the payment via the patient portal. They tell me that they sent me the check error and I owe them over $3,800!!! Once again, I send them all my proofs of payments. I was finally able to make that month's premium over the phone.

This month, October, I call to pay my premium, because the patient portal payment site is still wrong, and I'm told my policy was cancelled due to non-payment! Once again, we can't get our prescription medications, bloodwork, and medical tests due to their incompetence!!! I've spent close to 20 hours or more on the phone with AmeriHealth from late 2018 to the present trying to resolve these issues. Every month, the same problems. Right now I'm waiting for them to call me back. Not holding my breath. Something has to be done about this! I pay close to $20,000 a year out of pocket for my health insurance and deductibles and co-pays because I'm self employed. I tried calling the NJ Division of Consumer Affairs today, but it's a holiday and they're closed. I will call them again. We are consumers, we have rights. Need to find a better health insurance company.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

I had blood work and my physical in September. The lab called Amerihealth and got approval, my Dr's office called and got approval. When they received the invoices they denied and retroactive 2 months canceled my coverage. Over the phone they say everything is OK and call a week later to say coverage was canceled. Never refunding me or paying my claims. Buyer BEWARE.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

First of all, this company will not accept credit card or auto payments. You can only pay your premiums over the phone or their website, with checking account or prepaid debit card. This is ludicrous. I am going to choose another company because I needed cardiac tests. They charge more if it is not done "inside the doctor's office." How many doctor's offices have Echo Labs? My cardiologist is located in a large medical center and the test are done in the same building. I don't understand how they can get away with this practice. They may be cheaper in premiums but it is not worth it.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I paid through marketplace and they barely covered primary care or podiatrist or ER visit. I had to report them to department of Banking and Insurance and barely amended. They receive tax credits and money, and should have covered. I will report again to Dept. Of Insurance and Banking.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amerihealth?

Original review: April 5, 2019

I've had AmeriHealth for several years now, without a problem, but I never had any issues. I had a biopsy done for skin cancer when it came back positive. I called the company and explained that I needed to have a MOHS procedure done and wanted to make sure it was covered and the doctor was in their network. I was told yes, he was and yes, I was covered and it was just a $75 copay. I wrote the name of the girl, I spoke with, the date, the time. They refused to pay it saying at first that it was done at a surgery center (which it was not) it was done in the doctor's office.

I explained all that, gave them the date, time and person I spoke with and told them to listen to the recording of the call. They got back to me and said that the person I spoke with was from "Accolade" and they no longer use that company. They did listen to the recording and said the girl thought I was having another biopsy, which is ridiculous! Why would I need another biopsy if the first one came back positive? They still refused to pay it and today I will call them and I am requesting a copy of the recorded call to give to my attorney. I am livid. They are fine until you need to have a procedure done. They have no problem accepting your monthly payment.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

This is the worse insurance company anyone could chose, including myself. I was hospitalized for 3 days and they are not covering services! In the hospital! All of my medications (I am a type 1 diabetic) are not covered by this insurance AT ALL. Customer service is a JOKE, just horrible.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Too funny these people...after speaking with them they confirmed that my additional (scheduled) payment that was received for December would be refunded to me due to Accolade billing nightmares/payment processing and overall deplorable customer service; today I receive an invoice of negative (1) month premium again.

I certainly hope that they did not realize that they screwed up again and decided to re-instate me because I specifically told them to send my (on time) December payment back to me - I want nothing to do with Amerihealth and/or Accolade, I want my money back and if I kept a running call time (on average you are on hold for at least an hour, then another half hour to speak with someone that has half a clue to navigate their total b.s. system) I would say that I have easily 3 hrs. each month of my wasted time X 9 months = 27 hours (which is light and very generous, I am sure) at my time that I value at $250.00 per hour = $6,750.00. Waiting for my premium back and will be on the phone with them for another hour + tomorrow so add $250.00.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Where to begin is really all I can say without writing a book. From day 1 choosing to have coverage with this company was the worst decision I ever made. Besides the worst customer service I have ever experienced, they have an outside billing company called Accolade; this company has no clue what is going on. Every month my payment was submitted prior to due dates, I would then get an invoice/bill that stated I owed (1) month payment... A few days later I would receive an invoice stating negative balance; no payment due... Another few days, get another stating that I owed (1) month.

Every month... literally every month that I received an invoice I would be on the phone waiting for an hour to straighten out Accolade... Ridiculous and they should all be locked up - they ended up canceling my policy due to non-payment; but they sent my payment back to me... How no payment when you sent me money back? FOOL ME ONCE, KARMA IS A ** AND YOU WILL GET YOURS... CORPORATE GREEDY **!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I was hospitalized with a fractured vertebrae on Memorial Day weekend. The Orthopedic Group that saw me in the hospital doesn't take my insurance local value network. I went home in a back brace and thank god my daughter was here to help me find another orthopedic. She was on the phone with the 3rd party provider accolade for over an hour and on a another line calling the doctors they were saying accepted this plan. Most of them did not. Since then I have been referred by my Primary Care Physician to an Ear Nose and Throat Doctor who take some AmeriHealth plans but not mine.

Today I attempted to get on their website and it wouldn't load. I am waiting on line for a callback. This plan doesn't accept any out of network doctor unless it's the emergency room. I pay 655.00 a month for a plan almost no one in my area accepts. So here I sit in a back brace waiting for accolade to call me back and give me more names of doctors that aren't in the network. I live in Monmouth County NJ and I am sure they will try and send me out of state in a back brace.

Amerihealth Company Information