1.86/5
Based on 223 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1307 United Health Care Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 13, 2018

UHC used to be a good healthcare insurance carrier. As a member and as a provider, I noticed that, since they sent their business to the India and Asia (primarily when I call as a provider I speak to someone in India) they have yet to process claims in an efficient manner. Most claims have to be re-processed and appealed. Phone calls are usually 45 - 1 hour wait and then nothing get resolved! As I write this I can feel my BP rise since they are beyond frustrating. Last week they sent me 2 checks, both less than $200.00 for payment due. Today I discovered they put stop payment on BOTH checks and my bank charged me a cancellation fee! I am beside myself! I will be filing a formal complaint -- but buyer beware, appeals and complaints take hours and hours of your time!

Original review: June 12, 2018

I submitted a claim for short term disability due to complications involving a back injury. I received a letter indicating that they had received my claim and would call me within some time frame. They did not. I called their robot line. After sorting me through 3 minutes of options, the robot told me that the office was closed in my time zone. I called back in business hours the next morning. 16 minutes into robots and three layers of humans, I was put on hold, transferred to a survey, my survey responses invalidated and the call was ended. I called back. One robot and one human later I was told that there was no record of my previous 16 minute call in the system and that I was now to wait up to 48 hours for a response from my claims specialist Andrea. At least I have a claims specialist. Her unwillingness or inability to communicate with me is disturbing. I intend to call back and make sure that my latest call has been logged in the system.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 2, 2018

My United Health Care insurance is great. Last June and July I spent almost a month in the hospital and another month in a nursing home and they covered every penny of it. My room and care in both facilities was top notch. How could you ask for more. Needless to say it took a load off my wife not having to sort thru and pay bills. A VERY GOOD COMPANY.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Got the insurance back in August. They told me they covered up lotta stuff. Got a couple of test done in April and it cupboard nothing. It’s already $5000 out of my pocket. Thanks United Healthcare. I do not recommend them to anybody. I recently moved and canceled their insurance.

Original review: May 30, 2018

My policy is with United Health Care as the plan D for Medicare. The plan only covers what Medicare approves. Getting tests done is a slow labor intensive trial, and only approved by an RN unless you contest the denial of a claim. The Rx prices are all over the place, many of them can be found cheaper using GoodRx.com, or checking with the pharmacy without involving your insurance company. The premiums are free, and better coverage can be purchased, but with a high cost!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Original review: May 26, 2018

From the very beginning of my interactions with United Health Care I wouldn't even give them one star. I have had health insurance since I was a child. With many different healthcare companies. From the first they imputed my information incorrectly, ie: DOB, SS#, set me up with doctors who weren't even on their network. Also I called repeatedly to get my information changed and was sent the wrong subscription number. Apparently they made multiple accounts with my information. I was having to constantly call their customer support line. Many of the support staff give out misinformation.

I had to relocate on the last month I was with them and they wouldn't cover me anymore out of state. I attempted to reach them and every time I tried to call them my call was disconnected. My payments were 175.00 per paycheck. The most I have ever paid for health insurance. The experiences I have with United Health Care were the worst ever. If you are choosing United Health Care for your employees please don't. I would choose to pay more on a premium as long as I don't ever have to use United Health Care again.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I submitted a claim and it turned out am missing some information on the claim. I have submitted some of the missing info and explained why I don't have the rest of the information and also provided clear explanation on what the claim is for. Whenever I call to follow up, the representatives I speak to do not see much of anything about the several follow up calls I have made. Basically no notes are left on account or the reps do not know where to look. I usually have to speak with a supervisor to be able to get somewhere.

And even with the supervisors I speak with, sometimes one will tell me the claim is not covered, at other times another will tell me it is covered and tell me they are still waiting on additional information from me. I am always getting conflicting information and it is really frustrating. I am very disappointed that a company like United Health will not have its acts together. This is supposed to be the core of their business and it does appear they have competent people handling their core products and services. I am really disgusted by the level of service I have received this far from the company.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I did blood work for my dependent from Quest Diagnostic. Quest Diagnostic accepted UHC PPO insurance before going for blood work but United Health Care did not pay the claim invoice number **. When I received the Quest Diagnostic invoice then I called UHC customer care, they told that Quest Diagnostic is not in their network. It's kind of cheating with customers.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I don't have United Health Care personally, but I am a healthcare provider who deals with them. I would drop out of their network in a heartbeat if it wasn't for some long term patients who would lose the ability to see me. My complaints are two fold: United pays less than half my rate (which is comparatively low) and half of what BCBS pays for the same service. The other is that I have to fight to get paid by them. For instance, I will receive an explanation of benefits denying a legitimate claim, with a misleading explanation as to why. In other words, they tell me my diagnosis code is invalid (when it isn't), so I resend the claim and have it denied again.

Then I call them (waiting on hold for long stretches, only to be told I have the wrong department) and when I finally speak to a live person, they can't fix the problem. So I'm denied again. Only after my FOURTH phone call (and waiting for the rep to research my claims for about 20 minutes) do I learn they want a newer version of a billing form. WHY they couldn't tell me that in the first place would be a mystery if I didn't think that denying claims for obscure reasons is a business model designed to make the provider give up trying to get paid. If you, as consumers, have noticed fewer providers accepting United insurance, this will go a long way to explain why.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in December 2017. I went on leave on January 17. Today is May 9th and I have yet to receive my benefit checks. I am now back to work. United Health has offered the worst service I have ever received in my life. Beware! I really want to bring awareness to the treatment I received.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I had multiple problems with UHC so I dropped the insurance in November of 2017. But, before I had dropped the insurance I had gone over the maximum out of pocket expenses for both drugs and healthcare by $347.91 and $45.57 respectively. I received a letter on the 12th of December saying that I would receive a refund in 7 to 10 days. I did not receive it and on 5 February I called them about it. They said that it would take 60 days to review. I waited and on the 2 of May called back. Once again they said I would have to wait another 60 days for review. I asked for a Supervisor and found out that they had originally sent the check to an old PO Box, I had formally changed the address with them in Feb. of 2013, which they acknowledged.

I was told the money would be sent to me urgently overnight and waited 6 days for the money. I called again and was told that I would have to wait another 30 days! I was overcharged in October 2017 and now am told that I Must wait until June for the refund. Actually I have little confidence the refund will be sent. I have been told 4 times the refund is on the way but did not receive it. They suffer NO penalties for these actions, NO fines and NO interest. This is an interest-free loan for them and there is no motive to change this business model of delay and may I say confiscation because each time I call I am on the phone 90 to 120 minutes, many would not pursue their refunds because of the efforts, delays and poor response. And, Yes, I believe they sent it to the wrong address on purpose since all correspondences were being sent to my current address, why the incorrect address when it's money they owe me.

Original review: May 5, 2018

My elderly mother came to visit my family in CO from TX 5 months ago and every single day has been a health nightmare ever since, with A LOT of the frustration being with UHC. At first, I would call them nearly every day trying to figure out her supposed "coverage" with the confusion between two States. At this point, I could probably go on forever with details of our awful journey, but honestly - I am so sick of telling people about our very painful journey, that I will just summarize: My 73 year old mother was and is still a very Ill lady. She now has 5 specialists working to figure out her auto-immune issues.

UHC is cutting some of those specialists out of their network, for no good reason according to her doctors. EVERY freaking turn, we are beating our head against the wall just to get ANYTHING done! When I've called UHC for help, their representatives seemed nice - enough and I would think - yay, we are getting somewhere only to be shut down AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN. Honestly - can't take anymore! UHC obviously only cares about their money - forget the people.

Original review: May 4, 2018

When an insurance company not only drags its feet but the representatives actually lie to slow down an appeal process, that's a clear sign to get out! Unfortunately, this is the health care coverage that my employer provides, otherwise I would have been rid of them. Anyone considering health care coverage should avoid this company like the plague -- because if, in fact, you contract the plague, they will deny your coverage. I can't wait until it's time to elect coverage for next year. I will opt out and pay more to select a better company.

Original review: May 1, 2018

United Health Care deductible is too high to even cover medical problems. My Medicare covers the first 80% of my medical bills and even paying under $200 per month on a fixed income plus Medicare it is quite high.

Original review: May 1, 2018

My recent experience with United Health Care was very good. They settled/approved claims quickly and provided excellent customer service when I contacted them with questions. This was my first experience with several claims (emergency surgery) and I can't think of a thing that United Healthcare could have done better. Their website is full of good information and easy to navigate. The only shortcoming is that they list doctors who are taking new patients but when calling the doctor, they are not taking new patients... It's a little frustrating but probably impossible to keep up to date.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I love my insurance company which is United Healthcare. We get it through my husband's job. At first on paper I was very scared cause I have a lot of medical problems etc and when you're on top of this I was able to answer everything. But I was wondering if you can send me all the samples you're ready to send. Feel free to send me whatever samples you can to make this price affordable. Thanks.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I been using United Health Care for about ten years And have never had a problem! Their service is good, their rates are fair, and they treat their customers well.

Original review: April 29, 2018

United Health Care is a GREAT company to deal with. They call me on a monthly basis to see how I am doing. Any questions I may have are answered Promptly and Clearly.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I have used United Health Care a few different times in the past 20 years, both as an employee benefit and now as a Medicare supplement plan. They have always covered my claims without any questions, including several surgeries, family health and specialties. I would recommend them.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I wish United Health Care covered senior exercise like SilverSneakers. Also I have a weight problem that I need help with. Is there anything in this insurance to help me?

Original review: April 27, 2018

I have had United Health Care as my supplement to Medicare for 10 years. I am 100% satisfied with this company. They pay all claims with no co-pays ever and they pay their claims on time. I researched, before signing on with them, with my different doctors to see if they did pay their claims, and they came out on top! I would highly recommend United Health Care supplement.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I was a member of the federal program (MDIPA) and I stayed with it much too long. For the most part, I received the care that I needed but the problem with getting referrals was a nightmare. I would not recommend them to anyone.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Customer service is amazing. They put me on hold and called for preapproval when I needed help asap. They are always pleasant, helpful and understanding. Best service ever from a healthcare provider in my life.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Rates are high, especially if you need to go on COBRA. For 2 people is over $1900! Always received non-payment letters, so calling them was a monthly thing. I did speak with a few reps who were very helpful and nice. I used this as a secondary policy but it was my husband's primary.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Ok so I'm writing this because after customer service I was supposed to do a review of how they were doing and I completely forgot! I feel terrible so I hope they see this. I wanted to say that they did a wonderful job. In my frantic state I forgot the nice lady's name who took care of me but she was wonderful! Very nice and helpful in getting my dilemma taken care of and I'm so greatful??? Awesome customer service.

Original review: April 25, 2018

United Health Care is very proactive when it comes to making sure its participants are getting an annual physical and annual tests such as a mammogram. They also will do an in home health check for free! I am extremely pleased with United Health Care.

Original review: April 25, 2018

For the most part I like the insurance but a while back I had a broken tooth and they referred me to a dentist. The dentist said that they accepted the insurance but lo and behold not covered for X-rays or fillings. I want to keep the teeth. I have not always ready to pull the tooth out and now I’m in debt with the dentist for a $180 bucks and I don’t have that.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I chose United Health Care for my primary insurer under the Affordable Care Act for the year of 2016. I paid premiums, and the coverage was very weak, and I paid more out of pocket than I expected. In 2017, I began receiving bills from providers that needed money back for claims that were paid by United Health Care in 2016. One afternoon, on July 10, 2017, I received a letter from UPMC of Pittsburgh Provider Business Services, date June 30th, stating that due to a Coordination of Benefits, I had to update my information with United Health Care in 5 business days. UPMC wouldn't return my calls, and I had to call United Health Care, and they informed me that I was covered by Cigna and they withdrew every claim they paid in 2016, beginning in 2017.

I then called Cigna, my previous insurer under an employer, and Cigna provided to me a letter of coverage that stated my coverage lapsed in October, 2015, because I opted out of COBRA due the excessive costs. One provider finally gave me a copy of the letter that United Health Care, deliberately falsified to recapture lost funds by their participation in the Affordable Care Act. They stated I was covered by Cigna from March 1, 2016 until December 31, 9998. I would be 8,024 years of age and still covered by Cigna. I then filed a formal complaint with the Better Business Bureau, and United Health Care had an external organization conduct the communications on their behalf. It's Optima conducting business, not United Health Care. A man named Mike ** called to tell me that they received the information from Cigna, but he refused to reply through the Better Business Bureau.

I had full documentation on everything, and most members under the Affordable Care Act do not. I rejected 3 of Mike ** replies, and I provided details as to what I was seeking. He continued claiming he could not provide information to the Better Business Bureau due to privacy reasons. My final request was that I wanted full communications between United Health Care and Cigna, whether that be electronic mail, paper mail, or a recorded conversation. Mike ** had no documentation, and the communications ceased there. The Better Business Bureau replied a few days later that they were unable to satisfy my complaint to meet my requirements, but that my comments remain public. I referred to is as a "Meeting a Sales Quota," like Wells Fargo creating fake accounts to capture more money than they are owed. United Health Care Was an ENORMOUS MISTAKE, and it remains a HORRIBLE business for SCAMMING consumers.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Their list of doctors accepting policy was inaccurate. I selected the policy for a specific doctor, and canceled when doctor's office refused to accept.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I've been subjected to this company off and on for the better part of two decades. Their website interface hasn't changed in twenty years. I agree with those complaining that the provider search, is next to useless in terms of returning accurate results (I do grant that when I called in person and asked a customer service rep, they gave me good results. They must know some secret I don't, because my searches always result in doctors from the wrong specialty categories, or doctors who don't accept my plan.)

The site has never had a working link to indicate your in-network and out-of-network account balances over the course of twenty years - I've been seeing the same bogus legend stating the "systems are down, contact our Help Desk by phone" - apparently the system is 100% nonfunctional and United hasn't bothered to hire coders in 20 years. I always have to call to find out where I am in terms of meeting my deductible amounts, and once when I was speaking to a rep and told them about the Help Desk legend, they couldn't restrain their half-laugh of surprise. (Just think how much more smoothly the call system would run, and how much money they could save on reps, if the reps weren't constantly required to take calls daily from people inquiring about their progress in meeting their deductibles!)

Out-of-network claims take weeks, sometimes months, even to show up in the network widget (the page for New York Optum filing, does nothing more than provide a blank page after you press "Submit", cheerfully telling you "Thanks! Would you like to upload another claim?"). No claim number, no personalized details, no nothing. I see an occupational therapist, and some of the therapist's claims are going on three manual upload attempts and three weeks without making their way into the website widget - maybe United is hoping I get so confused I don't bother with submitting the claims for processing, because I can't remember which have and haven't been paid? Avoid at all costs. If my employers didn't contract with UHC, I certainly wouldn't be doing so.

United Health Care expert review by Joseph Burns

UnitedHealthCare is the largest single health care carrier in the United States. It currently covers approximately 70 million Americans and contributes large amounts of money to medical research every year.

• Lots of options: UnitedHealthCare provides a wide range of plan options for individuals, families and employers.

• Offers Medicaid plans: Low-income consumers may be able to get Medicaid insurance through UnitedHealthCare.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Seniors may be able to get their Medicare insurance through UnitedHealthcare’s Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Senior citizens, heads of families, employees

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns

Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

United Health Care Company Information