1.75/5
Based on 228 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1338 United Health Care Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I'm an RN and started having severe, disabling, knee and lower extremity bone pain. I took 2 weeks off administering conservative home treatment and finally had to go to the physician. Xray was negative. MRI was ordered by doc and denied by UHC because of "lack of medical necessity". 4 weeks of Physical therapy is required by UHC before they will consider an MRI and since I was unable to walk, I was unable to do therapy. I was also very concerned about doing additional knee damage without the guidance of diagnostics. After 8 weeks, multiple phone calls, and a steroid injection, I'm still limping around, trying to keep working, taking meds to get me through each 12 hour shift, not knowing what the cause is. UHC has denied 2 MRI's (the 2nd from the ortho doc) and now advises the "prior authorization" for the physical therapy will take about 15 days.

So the ordered tests that two physicians have placed have been overruled by the "medical review committee" with their decision results essentially saying my doctors don't know what they are talking about! So, this Medical Review Committee, who has not seen or assessed me personally, dictates my medical care! They also are developing control over my income, as the pain has not subsided and I'm not sure how much longer I can continue being a hospital nurse because of United Healthcare! I don't know how a health insurance company can deny needed medical care, but United Healthcare DOES appear to do just that! On the contrary, There has NOT been any reluctance from UHC in accepting the $800 month premium for myself!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I have had the United Healthcare supplemental insurance for Medicare for almost 20 years. Last year I was in Europe for vacation, broke my knee cap and while in the hospital they determined a problem in my lower intestines. No European doctor or hospital accept Medicare, so I charged $ 56,399 to my credit cards. Despite the many bills United Health Care processed my claim very promptly and mailed a check for 80% of the charges. I am impressed!!!

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

More than six months ago, I enrolled with United Health Care as my primary insurance, premiums being paid on time through payroll withdrawal. In that time, they have denied multiple claims, stating that Medicare is my primary insurance. I'm not even old enough for Medicare, nor have I ever enrolled in Medicare. I've placed multiple calls to United and sent certified letters. Each time that I speak to their "customer service" they admit that it's a mistake and say it will be investigated and corrected within 30 days. Obviously, that hasn't happened.

This morning, my pharmacy called to say they can't refill my blood thinner ** because United denied coverage. I have a life threatening illness associated with blood clots and have suffered blood clots in the past. Without the meds, my life is in jeopardy. But, all United says it that it's a mistake and they will "eventually" get it corrected. I guess "eventually" I will die due their mistake. Avoid United Health Care at all costs!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Nancy ** my wife now was visited by rep. Promised new dentures if she left Viva and signed with United. She was told by rep that her doctors would not change. She switched because she needed them. The sales representative put in in the program that did dental with no copay. She continues to see her doctors until they would not see her because of insurance the sales rep. Was holding the paperwork back because she did qualify for that service. When bills start coming late charges and all. She couldn't at and could understand what was happening. I got involved. He needed her to get the dental asap and to call when teeth was completed. Time of the essence. But she was put in mental health for 5th time and the plan kind of failed. She didn't see any doctors for several months and when I got her set up correctly she had small cell lung cancer.

She may have been cured if she had access to doctors and understood that she had to change all of her doctors to UNC network. The rep. even filled out some papers without her knowing. I think she was some of the first for that plan and was totally misled by rep. Also when diagnosed. We switched providers while doing so and waiting for start date. The rep sent new provider letter saying we had changed our minds and would continue with UNC. Luckily I was sent letter canceling new sign up.

And when I asked Medicare who did so UNC was named I started a complaint and investigation. This is wrong. She has several thousand in bills and approximately 7 to 9 months could not see doctors. Her cancer could have been detected much earlier and her life saved. She's on her deathbed now. I know that they misused her and she and I have dealing with the cancer. The rep even told me she didn't qualify for dual health plan. He knowing that and not doing his jobs and filling out documents. And not making sure she understood that her doctors would not be able to treat her. Has to me caused her death.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

California United Health Mailings seem to come with each sun rising. Needless, meaningless regardless that I have set up electronic communications only. They write pages and pages, one page to say they are no longer writing, one page in 4 languages, 1 page for my name and address, and one page of crap. They just keep coming. Saturday one, Monday another, they just won't stop... Guess they love killing trees and making California paper, envelops, and someone pays for the postage (you and I in the premiums). Did anyone audit this crap out of California, I'd fire about 50% of UHC employees, last year I bought a CPAP they didn't cover, I finally agreed no pay but they wrote me for 9 months about it! Wow, a factory of paper. United Paper Company... No problem, raise the premiums.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I have been wearing the ** Patch for over a year. I was told by my pharmacist that UHC refused to pay for the pain medication even though we jumped through their hoops for hours. I was told by a rep that if my pharmacist called in (for the 3rd time) my prescription would be approved in 2 minutes. Didn't happen. Retail is over $700 per month. UHC/Express Scripts sent the denial letter Friday evening. I did not receive any prior communication from UHC that my refill would be denied. The pharmacist said that UHC will likely require a preauth for a different pain med that my doc will hopefully prescribe Monday, so because of UHC's heartless decision I am forced to quit this maximum dosage opiate medication cold turkey and will be in severe pain for several days before a replacement is prescribed and approved.

I am experiencing withdrawal symptoms and pain is worsening and I know this is only the beginning. I wonder if the employee who made this decision would have done the same to her mother or her daughter or sister... Or if a family member would have been given the opportunity to gradually wean off this medication as is recommended. I dread the next few days; I pray the withdrawals aren't as hellish as I have been reading about. And I hope the pain doesn't become unbearable as the medication gradually wears off. I wouldn't wish this on anyone and I will certainly never understand how a human being can lack so much empathy as to intentionally make a decision that will certainly put another person in severe pain and experience miserable withdrawals.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Thru a new employer I got insured with UNITED Health Care. All over sudden I was no more allowed to use the pharmacy next door but was directed to use CVS. At CVS they couldn't supply the medication because now UNITED Health required 90 days prescriptions. Back to my Doctor, getting new prescriptions and again CVS couldn't help. Now UNITED denied coverage because I would have another health insurance. What? I am still with the same employer at that time. Tons of calls with co employer and United, even CVS called them and it took them 45 min to talk to somebody, and they still insisted that I have another insurance. Then they suddenly denied because I would be on Medicare. I never qualified for Medicare, never applied for it but UNITED denied again.

After weeks they agreed that I had no other insurance and I have never been on Medicare. Now I moved from Tx to SC and guess what, I tried to get my refills from CVS and UNITED denies again because they believe I am in Medicare. They try again and again to deny coverage and just fabricate a reason. There's absolutely nothing to it. I discussed the matter with my employer and they helped me to join another insurance company. Since yesterday I am no more client of UNITED Health Care, thank God. The only thing they do really good is collecting the premium. And a nice webpage doesn't help much when you need your medication.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

My primary health plan is United Health Care (United). United provides limited dental coverage. To supplement United's limited coverage, I obtained a secondary plan that requires dental claims be by United before they will process dental claims. To circumvent any coverage, United does not decline coverage that would automatically be submitted to my secondary plan. United "games" the claims process by taking the maximum time permitted to respond to the claim and then responds with a frivolous request for additional information that probably be denied.

When my dentist responds to the request from United claims processing, United waits the maximum time allowed to respond with another request for additional information. My secondary plan refuses to process the claim until United has denied the claim. I just received a notice of delinquent account by the dentist requesting payment for the claims United is playing games with. I get no denial of payment that my secondary insurance would then cover. My dentist say United will eventually respond to the claim after exhausting the delays they create. My dentist says I am not the only patient this is happening to.

Original review: July 27, 2018

This company will think of every reason to deny a claim. My husband and I recently had flu shots done at a local pharmacy that is in-network with United Health Care. I paid for it out of pocket and have been trying ever since to get reimbursed by United Health Care. I submitted all the paperwork they require, have made several phone calls to follow-up and still the claims get denied. I am beyond frustrated and have decided to write this review to let anyone out there know that if you have a choice of insurance companies, go with another one. Their premiums are not cheap and the customer service people are incompetent and don't return phone calls when they say they will. I have had several insurance companies over the years (Cigna, Aetna, UHC, BCBS) and I can honestly say that BCBS is the best!

Original review: July 26, 2018

The worst mental health insurance. It’s tragic that with everything that’s going on in our country this insurance company can operate with no moral compass. What they do is illegal. I have been struggling for help for 2 years. It is impossible to speak to anyone. No one returns calls. The information you receive is inaccurate and their advocates do anything but help. This company should be closed. They have and continue to cause needless suffering when they are in place and paid to treat patients not create worse ones. How any person can work for this company is beyond me. When will this stop?

Original review: July 26, 2018

I have been trying to speak with someone about mental health concerns for a family member, and it was nearly impossible to even get someone on the phone, after endless phone prompts you just be transferred around and no one will be able to help you. The most frustrating thing is that what these people tell you over the phone is not accurate. Their information about Dr's is not accurate. You will spend so much time trying to find Dr's who will take United Health. I have called over 20 from UH website, who have either left the state or do not take UH insurance. It's just one of those situation where they don't care, they get your money, and there literally is nothing you can do about it except complain. If I had a choice, I would never use United Health Care.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I had such a bad experience that after only 4 months on this coverage, I got a new job! I don't even know where to begin - Optum/UBH is an unscrupulous entity. I was on their coverage for only 4 months when they started harassing me and requesting a utilization review. They discriminated against my provider because she is an LCSW and not an MD, which is illegal, and paid her 35% less.

I have second level appeal pending requesting reimbursement for the thousands of dollars I've had to pay my therapist to make up the 35%. I have PTSD and was in residential treatment twice for 3 months each time in the past 4 years, yet UBH doesn't want to pay even for outpatient therapy. I suffer from sex addiction, self-harm, anxiety, and have severe attachment issues from significant childhood sexual and emotional abuse. UBH does NOT care. At all.

Now that I don't have to spend time appealing them and stressing over their threats to deny coverage, it is my life's mission to see them go down. I call every day to harass them about their request for a utilization review. I call their Alerts department just to tell them how much they suck. I will join the class action that went to trial in 2017 if they deny my appeal again.

Original review: July 23, 2018

After repeated tries to log in and being directed everywhere else there is no reasonable way to find providers and then after searching their site says it was down... There is no chat feature once you are logged in... called and they put you thru a ridiculous automated process only to finally get a representative that asks you all the same questions again... then put you on hold for 5+ mins. Ridiculous process. Look elsewhere.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Be warned that UHC will not pay any lab. No X-rays. Nothing. It did not used to be this way with insurance. You paid a copay, saw your doctor and were out the door. NOW... you will be billed a month later for any lab done. It's right there in their manual. It goes toward your deductible. I had a few simple shoulder X-rays done... not covered. Paid $500 out of pocket. I went in for something as simple as a UTI, and was billed $230. for the urine culture. A stupid urine culture. A simple UTI that used to cost me a copay only now costs me $300 and will every time I go in it looks like. I want it noted that we pay around $1200 a MONTH for health insurance, too. And we have no medical conditions and don't even really use it except for doctor visits and simple everyday things. And our doctor is on the approved list in network. Lovely, isn't it?

I have also had issues with what meds they will and will not cover. It is a mess to deal with. Just what you want to do every time you have to go to the doctor and don't feel good. What good is having health insurance coverage if you are never covered and always paying out of pocket a copay plus all costs for anything done on top of high premiums? The only good it does is if you were to have something catastrophic happen and you meet your deductible... even then it doesn't look like you'll get benefits without a fight, if even then, from other reviews. And premium costs are not reflective of catastrophic only coverage. It is racket and it is ridiculous.

We only have UHC because, for now, that is what company my husband's employer went with and everyone was complaining about the high premiums. It used to be BCBS and they were much better. I am going to have a talk with them and see about checking back into BCBS and see if they are doing the same way or not vs premium costs because this is NOT cost effective. I could not even imagine something serious happening. I am calling our star insurance commissioner too.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Cobra issues through United Health care: Failed to give me all programs I was entitled to per my previous employer. Failed to invoice me for retro Plus forward, so would have put me in arrears with no forward coverage. Failed to "apply" my online payment for 3 weeks, causing more time with no coverage. My Dr was going to refuse service due to no coverage and kindly alerted me why.

Told me to throw out my FSA card as it would no longer work, then 3 weeks later told me it worked. Does not have a relationship with Express Scripts - you are on your own. Fighting for reimbursements, fighting for coverage. Ridiculous. Company should seriously be reviewed by the Better Business Bureau due to complete incompetence. Glad I have no work, so I can spend hours on the phone sorting out the mess they have created.

Original review: July 15, 2018

Months ago I was forced to change to United Health Care so I could keep my present PCP. Prior to the change I was with Aetna but I could not remain with Aetna because Multicultural was shut down. Now with UHC my co-pays are much higher and I am not able to easily get my lab results. With Lapcorp I used to get an email telling me that my results were available at a specific time and date. I would log in and my results were visible and printable. Now with UHC I have to drive 20 min one way to either my PCP or my nephrologist to get my results. This is ridiculous! The results are mine! I'm afraid that we will be changing providers as soon as possible.

Original review: July 11, 2018

We got insurance this year through my husband's work, so we went from Blue Cross Blue Shield to this worthless insurance. Our deductible is $1500, which it seemed a little high, but that's what we got, but we thought $1500 for both of us, I guess it's ok! But NO! it wasn't for both of us. And unfortunately we learned the rough way. After we saw doctors, and did all the checkups we needed we ended up having to pay out of pocket for everything, and still do not meet our deductible.

At this point for the money we pay a month, we are better off without it. We could have just paid the doctor and have money left over. Also, trying to get an approval from insurance was insane! Be aware that if they think doctor is not ordering something you need (an office person determines this - not a doctor), then they deny even though more than one doctor have recommend it. So please, do yourself a favor and DO NOT go with United Health Care... they aren't very helpful at all either!

Original review: July 10, 2018

My provider sent in a referral to United Health Care in March 2018 because I had a painful ankle problem, and wanted to see orthopedic surgeon. I am still waiting to get referral approved by United Health Care. Every time I check, they tell me it is still pending. Over the last few months I have finally walked off the pain. Now my wife is trying to get a referral for her shoulder pain, she had our provider call in a referral on 3 July 2018, and is still waiting for referral to be ok'd, today 9 July 2018. Talked to someone called Bryan, and can't get anywhere on that issue either. She was told that she should get different medical coverage. This is the worst service for medical I have ever dealt with. They claim it is the doctor's fault, not sending it to proper office. I think they are hoping we die before they have to pay for service. I think it is a shame that United Health Care will let senior citizens suffer with pain, while they wait forever to get medical help they really need.

Original review: July 9, 2018

This is the worst possible insurance anyone can have. I cannot stand this insurance company. I was a caregiver. The gentleman who had this insurance was screwed over by them. I cannot believe how wrong they did this man. They denied him at least twice for a special rehab program. Then they denied at least 3 times the other program the hospital wanted to put him in that I truly believed would kept him alive. But thanks to UHC he is dead. Get any other insurance but this. Trust me this one would rather see you dead.

Original review: July 3, 2018

Every time I have to deal with this company it's a nightmare. Whether it's getting a prescription renewed or something outside a normal office visit, our claims are instantly denied and it takes a ridiculous amount of time to get it straightened out. I had an MRI visit scheduled via a referral from my PCP. The MRI facility is part of the same network. There was some minor description difference in the MRI ordered that could have been easily resolved with a simple message or phone call to the provider. But no, they denied the MRI, the appointment was cancelled and now I get to wait for another 2 months to get an appointment and figure out why they denied the claim. There was no message in the record by the internal radiology department at United... just denied.

They operate in an industry that is so protected and regulated, there is nothing a normal consumer can do. I'm an otherwise very healthy adult with the exception of some developing back issues I would like to address before it turns into something worse. United Health Care doesn't share in this preventive strategy, just deny claims and collect our 12,000 in insurance payments per year and we never come close to our deductible.

Original review: July 2, 2018

Let's see here. Number 1, every time you call you get a different answer... Some of the reps sound like they are either on ** or hungover. They want you to take what is on their list not what the doctor prescribes. They must have a call center with untrained staffers. PLEASE FOLKS DO NOT USE THEM.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Company refuses to pay for once a week therapy for patient with numerous mental health diagnosis. Says that patient with BPD, OCD, major depression, severe anxiety and disabling social phobia has not proven need for treatment. They should try functioning with such disabling diagnosis and then tell me there is no need for support. Once a week therapy not required? Counseling provider has done 2 case evaluations and they still say there is no need. They conveniently started to deny the claims when we hit our first tier deductible. The services were fine as long as we were paying for them. As a person with disabilities, my daughter is part of a protected class which UHC perpetually discriminates against. They know that most people in this situation won't advocate for themselves and are knowingly taking advantage.

We will fight for her until we take our last breath and if we wind up living in the streets because of it, or worse if something happens to her because we can't pay for her therapy we will hold them responsible. My premiums are supporting their management's inflated salaries when they should be providing the requested VERY BASIC healthcare. There are numerous complaints against this company. PLEASE TAKE ACTION.

Original review: June 28, 2018

This was the only option available with my new employer. Its an HMO with a high deductible. They drag their feet on every claim that you submit. You get the runaround on referrals. They do not disclose any information as to why they deny your claims as a stalling tactic. I have never had this much of a problem with health insurance. You will jump through more hoops than a circus just to get some standard procedures done. I don't know how doctors deal with them? They deny everything. I am not trying to get them to approve illicit drugs or some service I don't need or haven't been diagnosed with. I just wanted to get my CPAP titration study done so that I can breathe at night at stop waking up out of my sleep which happens for me 85 times per hour. That equals severe sleep apnea.

The customer service people are friendly and don't tell you much as they seem to be protecting their greedy useless company. The next job I negotiate for, I will find out if they have United Health Care and I will opt out and take my chances on the market. I have never been treated so poorly by an insurance company. Even my doctors are sympathetic to my cause. "I am sorry that they are your health care provider, they really suck." What's the point in having healthcare coverage if they don't cover anything? They do not care about their customers/patients. Stay far, very far from them. Or at least get some really good life insurance because this company doesn't want you healthy.

Original review: June 26, 2018

My child is a Type 1 Diabetic, and has been on an intensive insulin therapy regimen for the past 6 months that has brought his A1C levels into a "normal" range and his blood glucose levels have been completely controlled. We recently had to switch to United Health Care insurance, and they promptly have denied my child his brand of insulin. The physician contacted United and filled out all of the pre-authorization paperwork, and they are still denying his prescription. When I called to discuss my options, the customer service agent only read directly from the letter I was sent, and offered no guidance on any other options of appealing; he was completely unemotional and didn't acknowledge my concerns for my child's health.

United is requiring that my son try two different brands of insulin for 3 months each, and document why they fail. For 6 months, United Health Care is requiring that my child risk Diabetic ketoacidosis and severe hypoglycemia. We have to completely change our life around and hope that one of these work, and if they don't, my child will have gone 6 months + of uncontrolled diabetes. This is a life-threatening disease that requires hundreds of split-second decisions each day. This is abhorrent and immoral.

I had Cigna before, and when a similar denial came up, their customer service had empathy, listened to my concerns and understood why changing an insulin regime could be life-threatening. the doctor's office and I still had to fill out all of the prior-auth, but Cigna helped us through the process. United Healthcare has no concern for patient safety or welfare, and their customer service agents are not trained to even give the impression that they care.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I have one of the better plans through my employer, and I have got to say this medical family coverage is one of the worst. High copays for children's doctor visits, denials for medication and Dr ordered procedures. If you need medical insurance, look for another rather than this one.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I am at end stage COPD with congestive heart failure and chronic lung failure. I recently had a test done that shows my oxygen stats are falling well below 88% while I sleep so my doctor prescribed me a trilogy machine to assist my lungs in working. United Health Care denied the machine because these conditions don't qualify. If they don't then what does??? It is hard enough trying to breathe and the stress of knowing I am nearing the end of my fight without the stress caused by insurance! They are pathetic.

Original review: June 20, 2018

Am having back issues so tried to get an MRI after they refused to pay. I paid myself to find out have 2 discs that have deteriorated in my back. Have been living on painkillers for months, walk with a cane and yet they still won’t pay to fix my back. Now last option to get lawyer involved. Ridiculous. I pay for insurance for years and when you need them they won’t cover anything. Avoid them at all costs!!!

Original review: June 20, 2018

Already had 1 specialist cancel my appointment because he doesn't accept Select Plus, after I was told by UHC there would be no problem. Now I’ve asked for a list specific specialists in my area that accept Select Plus so I can start all over again. What I got was numerous emails of hundreds of doctors that don't apply. Now I get to sift through hundreds of pages to find an orthopedic specialist in my area, decide on 1 that has decent reviews, and then go through the tedious hassle of trying to get someone to confirm if that doctor will accept Select Plus. What a pain in the **. In the meantime, my knee is in pain, and my appointment this afternoon was cancelled because of incompetence. We’ll see if I can find a decent doctor that can see me before September…very angry…

Original review: June 19, 2018

This company is awful, every month they stop covering what prescriptions I was on the previous month. So I need the Dr. to write me a new prescriptions EVERY month until they stop covering any form of my medication altogether. I am a diabetic, if I don’t get my medicine, I die. This company is slowly killing me, without a care for anyone.

Original review: June 13, 2018

UHC used to be a good healthcare insurance carrier. As a member and as a provider, I noticed that, since they sent their business to the India and Asia (primarily when I call as a provider I speak to someone in India) they have yet to process claims in an efficient manner. Most claims have to be re-processed and appealed. Phone calls are usually 45 - 1 hour wait and then nothing get resolved! As I write this I can feel my BP rise since they are beyond frustrating. Last week they sent me 2 checks, both less than $200.00 for payment due. Today I discovered they put stop payment on BOTH checks and my bank charged me a cancellation fee! I am beside myself! I will be filing a formal complaint -- but buyer beware, appeals and complaints take hours and hours of your time!

United Health Care expert review by Joseph Burns

UnitedHealthCare is the largest single health care carrier in the United States. It currently covers approximately 70 million Americans and contributes large amounts of money to medical research every year.

• Lots of options: UnitedHealthCare provides a wide range of plan options for individuals, families and employers.

• Offers Medicaid plans: Low-income consumers may be able to get Medicaid insurance through UnitedHealthCare.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Seniors may be able to get their Medicare insurance through UnitedHealthcare’s Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Senior citizens, heads of families, employees

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns

Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

United Health Care Company Information

www.uhc.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business