Compare Quotes and Save

Compare Quotes and Save

Find Short Term Health Insurance

Shop Plans Today

1442 United Health Care Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

When I went to pick up my prescriptions the pharmacist told me that United refused to pay. I contacted them and after an hour on the phone they told me that my coverage (AARP Medicare Rx Plan through United) had been terminated. I had not received any notice of termination from them and had previously sent them a request for automatic payment. They furthermore stated that they could not re-enroll me and that they sent me a reimbursement which I have not yet received. It has been very upsetting and now I'm stuck and don't know what to do.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

United Healthcare is the worst insurance of any provider. I am scheduled to have surgery on tomorrow and the approval has not been finalized. My physician submitted the original documents on February 1st, 2019. They are not forthcoming nor professional. This is the second time I’ve had to wait until the last minute for their approval. I wouldn’t recommend them to any corporation nor individual. If there were an option for zero stars I would rate them as zero. Horrible Horrible Horrible!!!

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

My parents have United Health Care supplement to Medicare. They have for years. They have paid well on their surgeries. However the premiums have went up so often and so much they can't afford it. On January 14 they cancelled. It was to go til January 31. They still took a bank draft the first of February. Nearly $600. I called and spoke to SEVERAL people. It was their mistake not my parents. They will not return the money they have to cut a check and mail it in 7 to 10 business days. My parents need their money! They need to cut the check and overnight it. They stole or borrowed $600 and my parents can't afford that. This is such bad business! I understand mistakes but they can make it right faster. Given voice mail to a manager twice and she won't call me back. Dirty business!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I recently had a fall and fractured my tibia. As a result, I needed to find an orthopedic surgeon. I don't work due to other issues so I am under United Health Care community plan. While trying to find one, I was told by all of the doctors' offices on the list provided by UHC that none of them will accept United Health Care. When calling them to ask what to do, as I couldn't find one to accept me since they will not accept United, they told me to get prior authorization for my primary. I then called back to the offices I had previously spoken to, I was told they refuse to deal with this insurance. I have had multiple problems finding specialists with this insurance. I am finding many offices refusing to deal will this company. And calling the member services was no help at all.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

UHC was sued in 2018 (along with AARP) for accepting kickbacks on drug rebates offered by drug companies. These rebates are intended to benefit the consumer, not the insurance company. As a result, UHC committed to ensuring that these rebates were passed along to the consumer effect 1-1-19, especially benefiting those in HDHP plans. I take the biological drug **, of which Janssen Drug company offers a high rebate to help consumers pay for these drugs. UHC along with Express Scripts, processed my claim for this drug and did not apply it to my deductible. I was told by multiple UHC reps, supervisor and a plan manager that this was supposed to be applied to my deductible and my claim was processed in error.

After multiple calls with these companies, I now received a call stating that ‘oh, we just realized that this drug is a preventative drug’ and they are refusing to correct the claim. When asked for the Preventive Drug list indication this, I was told that ‘it is on the list, but not a list’ so they have nothing to provide. The supervisor who called me told me that the whole thing feels fishy to her. My employer, Wells Fargo, is contracted with both of these companies and has done nothing to address the unethical behaviors occurring with these companies. I have no doubt that UHC and Express Scripts are engaged in illegal kickback activities and are finding ways to keep from passing these rebates along to the consumer. You say you fixed your unethical practices UHC? I think not.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Worst insurance in the market. I have FEHB and me and the government pay almost $1500 a month and we still get a bill for every doctor's visit. Don't use this. Highly dissatisfied. Their LAB is ridiculous. $50.00 for every single lab no matter what it is.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I receive long-term disability after being injured at work. They try every conceivable way to not pay. They kept me in limbo almost six months before I received my first check. They will pretend to be your friend on the phone and ask questions that are designed to trick you into saying something they can use against you to deny your benefit. For instance, I was asked if I would like to work in the future and I jokingly stated, “My wife would love to get me out of the house”. The denial letter said that my wife was actively encouraging me to find employment. There are many other examples I could tell you about and some were outright lies as well.

The payments are paid willy-nilly and you cannot count on them being consistent. Forget trying to schedule paying your bills with this. Sure, it has helped but I never know from one month to the next if I will even be getting my benefit. I have a permanent disability and I still have to see a doctor every few months so he can look at me and rewrite what he already wrote the last time. This is designed to wear the doctor’s staff out so they drop you.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

We allege that UnitedHealthcare Community Plan is indifferent to the well-being of a disabled senior patient by ignoring the urgency of medically necessary dental diagnosis and treatment, and by a policy of protracted refusal to approve critical member needs. Because of UHC/Dual Complete adherence to non-approved solutions, the potentially fatal consequences of massive dental infection will lie at the doorways of UHC. Moreover, we believe that this member-patient is totally justified in seeking the compounding judgments against UHC Community Plan for negligent malpractice from the ended time frame of appeals.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

For a reason that no one at United Health Care can explain why you have separate data based and policy and procedures for prescription and supplemental policies. There should be a common database for a customer info. This would cut your expenses and improve your service to customers. Examples: I was changing my address and my bank accounts for EFT payments. It took a while and a lot of frustration when I tried to make these changes. I thought one call should do it. NO. I have to call each department separately and give them the address change and when I tried to change banks on the EFT process, prescriptions department took the information over the phone but the supplemental department refused to do so, and insists that all requests be made in writing on a form that they produce and will mail.

Not a single employee can tell me why the difference. And you apparently have multiple addresses in different parts of your prescription department to store your customer addresses. You did not send me any documentation on prescriptions for over a year and I lost track of the calls I made trying to figure out why until I was told you had made multiple address fields and your department changed my permanent address, but did not update my mailing address. This is pretty simple business. Why do you make it so difficult for your customers.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

My company switched from Blue Cross and Blue Shield to this United Health Care because is supposed to be better. Well it is not. Besides paying more on the monthly premium, I know have to pay $40 for a doctor visit and $70 for specialist visit because none of the doctors that I've had for over 10 years are in the Tier 1 program. When searching in the portal to what providers are Tier 1, they all have under 3 star rating and the choices are slim. Only one dermatology available under tier 1 with 2 stars. I even put over 100 miles from me to find a decent Dermatologist that may have over 3 stars and there is none available. The same goes for Neurologist. I can no longer go to my regular neurologist because they are not part of the Tier 1. I wish our company would have done a better research on this Insurance as it is Horrible.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

This is the all time worst insurance company that I have ever had to deal with. I spent almost two weeks appealing and fighting with them over coverage of my insulin and I am a type 1 diabetic. The best option they said I would get was paying over five hundred dollars out of pocket for a month's supply. I don’t see how a disgusting company like this can even manage to stay in business with the way they treat their patients. People are actually dying from lack of insulin if they choose to go with United. I dropped their joke of a policy after only one month and have nothing but hatred towards this horrible company, avoiding it entirely would benefit your physical and mental health.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I have been insured with UHC via Medicare for about 18 months. In that time, I have called them numerous times regarding coverage that was denied. In each situation, one representative will give completely different information than the next. It's as if they have no way of corroborating a client's information in their system. It's been a nightmare. How a company with this lack of knowledge and incredibly inept customer service can stay in business is beyond me. I even tried to visit one of their corporate offices in Los Alamitos, California to clarify a claim, and was denied entry to the building. The guy at the front door told me to "call the number on the back of your card. Clients are not allowed in this building." If I had a choice, I'd find another insurance company.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

We changed to an advantage plan due to cost of premium. They withdrew both premiums from our account on the first of the month. It is now almost a month later and we have been unable to get the $600 refunded to us. Advise everyone to have premium taken from your social security check and not your bank! No way to stop them from taking money once you sign the draft!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I had no health insurance for almost a year and was paying almost $300 a month for my medications on top of my monthly dr visit, and it was taking a tremendous toll on my bank account, and I barely was getting by paying my bills as it was. Finally 2 months ago I went and talked to an insurance rep and decided to sign up for United Health Care insurance because it covered not only medical, but dental and vision also for $40 a month.

I was beyond excited and finally felt relieved that I finally had insurance and that I wouldn't be as financially strapped due to my prescriptions. Well biggest mistake of my life!!! Both the medications I'm on and have been on for years required a prior authorization and they were denied 3 times by United Health Care!!! These are medications I need to be on and my doctor emphasized this and it still made no difference. So I was stuck paying $300 this month for my prescriptions that I thought my insurance would cover. This insurance company is an absolute joke and a ripoff!!! I never in my life would of ever thought that when a person has health insurance, especially one that they're paying for would be in no better off than when they had no health insurance at all. My advice to anyone reading this that doesn't have health insurance or is thinking about switching to United Health Care...don't do it. I assure you that you will be utterly disgusted!!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I submitted an FSA claim to UHC and received notice that the payment had been sent. After a month went by and I still hadn't received a check, I called multiple numbers, was transferred multiple times, and generally given the run-around regarding the whereabouts of the check. This is literally the first negative review I've ever written about a company because I'm so disgusted with how they handle customer service (with a clear aim of just never sending you your own money. Money which was set aside specifically for medical expenses).

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Expensive high deductible plans which claims to cover preventative at 100%. Called to see why my annual eye exam was not covered. First rep told me it was coded as diagnostic. Had docs office resubmit with correct coding. Waited a couple weeks. Not covered again. Called UHC again. Was told I don't have coverage when I pay for vision insurance! Rep said to call UHC at another # which was not on my insurance card. Spoke to someone in UHC Vision who said the eye doc I saw was in network for medical but not vision! Out of network I could be reimbursed $40 bucks. Rep said I could call to see if a provider was in network which is what I did prior to my visit. On the EOB it says, "thank you for using an in network provider." More game playing and backpedaling with this company. Not worth the hassle.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

No one notified me that I needed a new prior authorization for a prescription I have to have. I'm on disability and it cost me almost $60 instead of $1.25. Called to complain and they told me that they can't do anything about it. I will never do business with them ever again and I suggest no one else either!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

This is the worst insurance company I have ever had to deal with, we have been trying to get an authorization since 9/2018 and nobody has a clue on how to obtain this P.A. This has been our worst experience from management to customer service.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I switched my 98 year old mother in December (she has low income assistance so I didn't have to wait until January) to UHC Supp. Plan F (with no problems) and got their Part D prescription insurance because I thought it was a good idea to keep everything under one roof. Besides the fact that I had to do the application 4 times over the phone because they lost applications or deleted them, she was insured Dec. 1. 2018. I had to send my POA at least 3 times to them because every time I called, they said they weren't authorized to speak to me about my mother - even though they had my phone number, zip code, and mailing address on file.

At least, sometimes they did. I even had to get my mother on the phone to authorize me, (after I had been earlier authorized, of course), but they didn't have a record of it after that phone call. I would say over the past 2 months, this has been a problem AT LEAST 25 times. My mother has been taking inhalers for years that were covered until January 1. I never received a notice/formulary list that coverage was being discontinued - until they declined to fill the script last week. Why wasn't there 30 days notice letting me know, so I could change insurers?

After several calls last week, I was finally told by someone, there had to be a prior authorization submitted. My mother's primary care doctor submitted the form and was (of course) declined! So now my mother has to pay $50 every 10 days for the inhaling solution. This was 7 hours wasted, just today! And I was told ALL of the substitutions for this drug, also needed prior authorization. They clearly now don't want to cover people who have pulmonary issues. And after speaking to 3 different people on 3 different calls, the next 2 tries - the SAME DAY - TODAY - they told me they didn't have a record of me, so they wouldn't talk to me. That was enough. That was too much.

So I also called Medicare today - January 14 and asked if I could switch plans. Because my mother gets assistance, it was possible to do this. So, as of February 1, my mother will be insured with SILVER SCRIPT, which covers her inhaling solution and all of her other drugs. Dealing with United Health Care and Optum was truly one of the worst experiences of my life. If you're looking at Medicare Part D Plans - you'd be smart to avoid them at all costs.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I went to sign up to my local YMCA and was told that United Health Care no longer is participating in the Silver Sneakers program. For the company to save a bit of money it discourage Seniors to participate in a healthy lifestyle. Which will most likely incur more medical payments paid out for avoidable physical health problems. I always felt secure in my choice of United Health Care but will definitely shop around in October 2019. I wonder what else change this year that I didn’t notice.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Attention Women With Breast Cancer... UHC is NOT behind women with Breast Cancer and will fight you every step of the way NOT to pay when you have exhausted every provider they insist you see. I thought our company had excellent coverage and pay a very high price for it for each of us and now to only learn when it comes down to pay for services they will run the other way... Even our insurance broker is at a loss for words as to how I have been treated with my breast cancer...To the point where we have had to file a formal complaint with the Virginia Bureau of Insurance and the Virginia Department of Health!!!

UHC will continue to put you through more hell than just the hell of your cancer and treatments you must go through!!! I am fighting with every ounce of energy and life I have left in me for my care and it is falling on deaf ears. UHC only cares about their bottom line and not patient care!!! Additionally, don't even bother with their cancer support program... Useless and a total waste of time!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

It's been over a week, they changed my plan/policy on me. All my co-pays, etc and don't know how to fix it or why they changed it on me. Called IT for the site to be fixed too to reflect my actual plan and have been told off and refused a manager on every occasion. I've spend an hr on the phone for over a week and still cannot get help on this issue. I NEED TO SEE A DOCTOR.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I submitted a claim to United Health Care after my daughter completed her Neuropsych. The bill says paid in full. Gives the number of hours billed as well as every test performed. United Health Care will not pay the bill because no one in the claims department can figure out how to divide the number of hours into the total bill. For months they have been sending me from person to person in order to avoid paying my claim.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

It is normal to not get to speak to insurance companies, banks, etc. when we call, but a healthcare company? I would think answering phones for medical reasons would be important, and it is but only for the patient, I mean fools like me who went with these jokers. 10+ minutes on hold after being transferred after 12 minutes on hold.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

My former employer changed my Medicare coverage from Aetna to UHC in January 2018. From that time all my submissions have been paid except for my chiropractor. Many phone calls, letters, still no solution.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I was SO DISAPPOINTED to learn that United Health Care has stopped SilverSneakers. My husband (who has dementia) & I were enjoying using that privilege at the West Carrollton YMCA in Dayton, Ohio. It was very important to us. Why has this happened? I would hope to get a response to this.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

United Healthcare is a company that refuses to be held accountable for their words or actions. We started exploring fertility treatment and our Dr. called to verify our coverage - they were told we were covered for IVF with unlimited tries. We moved forward with treatment - our DR.'s office received a letter approving the treatment only to receive another letter the next day saying it was a mistake and we were not covered. United Health Care also had me enroll in their fertility program where they set me up to speak to a nurse who reviewed my coverage with me echoing that I had great coverage and it was unlimited for IVF.

Once we received the news they had been wrong about their coverage a cycle of trying to hold them accountable including providing call numbers where they in fact told us we had full coverage - the only “accountability” we received from them was telling us we weren’t covered. This is actually a very good reason to not cover a treatment - what is not okay is telling someone they are covered - sending a letter of approval and then telling them to stop treatment if they don’t want/can’t pay for the treatment they already started based on United Healthcare telling them they were covered.

This company is a liability to itself and people need to know they cannot be trusted to do fundamental tasks such as review coverages - even when you’re speaking to people whose job it is to do so. United Health Care - I am going to make sure this story is out there. If you refuse to be accountable on your own terms I am going to make sure you’re accountable with the public.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I am having to pay a lot of out of pocket money at the fitness center because United Healthcare has canceled the Silver Sneaker benefit! I am very unhappy with UHC and will be looking for a replacement provider. UHC obviously does not care for its members!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

How do you update your dependent's SSN from the United Health Care website? I didn't know and certainly couldn't easily find the option to do so, so I called their support number. The first person I spoke to asked for my information (full name, member ID, policy or group number) first to verify I am me (I am!), then told me that I called the wrong number. The number that I called was provided to me by my benefits coordinator at work, so not sure how that happened. Regardless, she transferred me to someone else, but not before I was prompted to input my information into a phone prompt system.

The second support person then asked me to verify my information (full name, member ID, group number, date of birth, phone number), again, and after I explained what I was trying to accomplish (update SSN for new child), she said I again called the wrong number (HOW?) and would transfer me to their tech support line (WHY?).

I'm now 15 minutes in and am being asked by the phone prompt system to re-verify my already verified information again. The third person picks up the phone, not expecting a call (WHAT!?!) and not introducing himself, then asks me to verify my information (full name, policy number - not group number, member ID, date of birth, address, start date of employment, start date of original policy coverage). It's now been 29 minutes. He says "click on Account Settings, click on the link [in the middle of the screen], click on Update, type in SSN, click submit." This is a ridiculous way to provide support to your customers. How do I give 0 stars on this website?

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Why must I travel from Louisiana to Massachusetts in order for United to cover the total knee replacement. United stated that if I have it done in LA. it will cost me 100%. Has anyone else had this problem?

United Health Care expert review by Joseph Burns

UnitedHealthCare is the largest single health care carrier in the United States. It currently covers approximately 70 million Americans and contributes large amounts of money to medical research every year.

• Lots of options: UnitedHealthCare provides a wide range of plan options for individuals, families and employers.

• Offers Medicaid plans: Low-income consumers may be able to get Medicaid insurance through UnitedHealthCare.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Seniors may be able to get their Medicare insurance through UnitedHealthcare’s Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Senior citizens, heads of families, employees

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

United Health Care Company Information