United Health Care

Compare Health Insurance Companies

Research top Health Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

United failed to pay in-network rates for the emergency care my daughter received when she was 5 months old and presented with a rare, catastrophic, life-threatening seizure type. After 1.5 years, the provider is still after me for the money United was legally obligated to pay. What a worthless, unethical, thoughtless, unscrupulous company. They also purposely hire people who are not educated enough to understand the complexities of health care law and what is legally required so that the company can play dumb.

Just started having issues with UHC. Customer service does not know anything. I was put on hold every couple minutes while agent was researching my issue. After an hour of this I said that if I did not get a resolve to my problem I would be calling the insurance commissioner, then they got a supervisor on the phone, and I got some information. Beware if you want the new type of mammogram because they do not want to cover those even though 90 percent of the other insurance companies do cover them. Guess the CEO needs more money than the millions he already gets paid. If you have issues that they won't resolve write to your state insurance commissioner.

I completed my COBRA paperwork on 12/28/16 and have been fighting with UHC since Monday to get coverage. Every person I talk to tells me something different. Half of the people I've talked to had no idea what they are doing. For example, transferring me twice to the wrong department even though I told her she was wrong. After three days and 17 phone calls they finally confirmed I have coverage BUT they cannot give me a temporary card because of their system! I've told them numerous times I need to pick up a prescriptions that have been sitting at the pharmacy for three days but they don't care. Unless you absolutely have to have this company for your health care, I would run as fast as you can to another carrier. THESE PEOPLE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE DOING NOR DO THEY CARE.

Thinking that we had thoroughly researched our options, we went with UHC for 2017. A few days into the new year and we are finding out prescriptions we thought would be covered are not, or at the highest tier, which is $300. Some simplified background: one son has epilepsy that took multiple specialists 5 years to get under control, and has been under control for almost 4 years. He was having tonic-clonic seizures, often daily but at least 4 days a week. I cannot overstate what this does to a person. His cognitive abilities are not what they were before the seizures started. So it is fair to say that keeping control is paramount. The first problem was with UHC not covering an extended release version of **. They will cover the NON ER version for $5/month, but "approved" the ER for $300/month. Seriously??

One is dirt cheap and the other crazy high, that's hard to get my head around. The ER is preferred, so as to keep blood levels constant, especially because pharmacies often switch generics month to month. Next, they denied his **. Not placed it on highest tier, flat out denied it. (We were expecting a $150/month co pay on this.) This is the med that when was added to his other meds 5 years ago stopped his seizures. This will cost us $1000/month. Yes, we are appealing, so we will see what that brings. And yes, our son has been through most ALL epilepsy drugs which his epileptologist can document. I know not all with epilepsy have such a complicated history, but many do. I don't know how they can screw with serious medical conditions like this. I don't know how they can believe people can afford the drug costs they shift to us?!

To say nothing of the fact that just stopping a epilepsy drug can cause serious harm. Or go back to constant seizures because they won't cover, and we can't afford $1000 every 30 days for ONE medication. Our other son takes an ADD drug that was supposed to be covered at $50 a month. Surprise! Even though their 2017 drug book lists it as a tier 2, it's a "mistake" and that will cost us $277/month. Filed a grievance on that one (and it's only the first week on the plan!). l'll tell you what the mistake is...signing up with UHC. As for the customer service, they are polite and experts at explaining what the rejection letters and other materials mean. Since I can READ I don't need it re-explained to me...but they are of no real help. I have also found in my numerous phone contacts with them, it seems they start looking for ways to roadblock you.

I can only imagine the problems we will encounter and hoops we will have jump back and forth through if we actually have any hospitalizations this year. Or even what neurology visits will bring. BTW...my spouse searched the salary of UHC 's CEO...one hundred million a year! I could go on about that alone, but will leave it hoping he and all the other execs there sleep good at night, because clearly the people they insure can't.

I have gold plan with my organization. Last year I was in standard plan. At that time copayment for tablets is low. This year I changed to gold plan and the price of the medication should actually reduce but they are increasing. I asked why they told to check with hr. No proper update from customer care. Very poor and bad support. They are not able to check with previous year report which is really bad.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

I have had United in the past and recently returned and although I don't feel their service is any worse than other insurance. Their nepotistic relationship with the drug prescriptions program OptumRx, a subsidiary, leads me to strongly recommend you avoid this vendor if possible if you have to rely on the drug coverage of their coverage. If you have questions take the time to read the over 1,000 negative reviews of OptumRx on this site. OptumRx is a pariah that preys on those that need medicine and the symbiotic relationship, makes in my opinion, United just as compliant in price gouging on prescription drugs!

This complaint is on blatant corruption and nonsense. The insurance sales rep comes into our company and we are offered a strictly PPO only dental plan. I signed up and she hands us a sheet of what the insurance covers, it clearly states United will cover up to $1500 dollars for old amalgam removal. That's the work I done, I receive the claim letter a month later and lo and behold United paid literally zero dollars for anything. That's my complaint, plain and simple absolute disregard of our agreement. How are these people still here? Has our whole country turned into cowards that we can't fight off these parasites? I'm so disgusted with this country, the entire medical industry and the entire ideal of law.

Do they really think I am going to let this go unanswered? What do we pay them for? I guess they are just gambling on the fact that most people will be too lazy to file an appeal? I shouldn't even have to deal with the process and wait to see if someone else is going to do something about it. If it wasn't for the pathetic legal system and indoctrinated police and society people would go down to these companies with guns in their hands. The scum owners of these companies would never screw another person again, I can guarantee you that. Obviously the thousands of complaints and horror stories have accomplished nothing. When is it going to be enough?

This company obviously care about one thing and only one thing, PROFIT! Their web site is horrible and when I had login problems I called their Customer Service several times and every time I got very polite people that don't have a clue what they are doing. The first two times I was promised a follow up call back to fix my login issues, NEVER EVER RECEIVED and call back. At the end of the second call, the rep asked me what I was logging in for, I replied that I was trying to see what Dentist were included in their network, and she say "well, that's no problem. You don't have to be logged in to get that information." She said "just go to myuhcdental.com, click on location and put in your zip code, click on providers and the list will pop up."

I was surprised but also relieved since no one in the first two calls had any idea how to fix my log in problem, I thought I could at least get a Dental office name and phone number. So I go to that site and immediately realize that I was once again given incorrect information from one of their employees. That site required a LOG-IN before I could put in a zip code. So here I site, unable to log in, unable to get any helpful information from their company and in essence, I can't schedule a Dental appointment that I am in urgent need of. To made it even worse, today a week after my UHC Insurance took effect, I finally get their handbook. Now my former outstanding insurance company HealthNet send this information in bound book for, easy to read and store.

Pathetic United Health Care sent me a stack of about 200 loose pages because they are too cheap and poorly managed to BIND this reference BOOK. To make it worse, they could have at the very least punched holes in them with a 3 hole punch allowing their CUSTOMERS go BUY a BINDER for the BOOK that they were too cheap to bind. I have absolutely nothing good to say about United Health Insurance and would clearly tell anyone looking for a Medicare Advantage plan to choose any plan except United Health Care. They do not deserve 1 Star. I can't imagine how my experience could have been worse to this point. Avoid United Health Care!!!

They don't cover what they should. If you want to call them make arrangements to be on the phone half the day. I am trying to talk to someone now. I've already been waiting for an hour and a half!!! Then when you finally get them they transfer you to another person and you wind up it the end of another line. I guess they are hoping you'll get tired and hang up so they don't have to deal with them. When you finally get someone on the phone they can't help you!! I wish there were 5 NEGATIVE STARS! I feel cheated that I have to give them even one star. I would like to say more but it just makes me mad.

I have severe asthma and found myself without **. I called in a refill and the pharmacy called back and told me it was rejected. My last refill of this drug was a month ago. There is no generic equivalent for **. I tried calling the prescription unit and was unable to speak with a live person. I was simply left hanging. I was desperate enough to call the nursing helpline. I spoke to a nurse who was bored and audibly yawning over the phone. She told me I should just pay out of pocket for the inhaler. I went to the current list of approved drugs and ** was included. Fortunately, I have an angel for a pharmacist and she persisted with UHC. She told me that all ** inhalers were rejected but she was able to get the prescription approved. She was told that the rejection was due to a "computer glitch". Pretty scary. ** is a lifesaving drug that must be carried at all times. They are looking at a major lawsuit if they don't get their act together.

Very restrictive prescription coverage. I have had to drop or change prescription meds that I have been taking for 5 years and my health under total control. They force you and your doctor to jump through hoops for them.

We have had an awful time with our Healthcare coverage we purchased directly due to Obamacare and pay a healthy monthly premium in turn however we have had the worse coverage we have ever encountered and I highly recommend anyone thinking of using this company to stay away! We have had to jump through hoops to get anything covered and then the final straw was my husband had carpal tunnel surgery on his left hand beginning of December. The right hand scheduled for the end of December, the day before the right hand is to be done and the insurance denies the surgery. (Mind you they approved the left hand and it has already been done. Doctor just did not want to do both at the same time.) So now it is time for the right hand and the Insurance company denies due to wanting an EMG test that the Doctor requested prior to both surgeries, however, the insurance company would not pay for and denied the test.

At this time the Doctor has spoken to them. I have spoken to them and they said we have to appeal - of course it is the end of the year. An appeal even if we would win wouldn't matter as a new deductible and new insurance since they are no longer offering this plan we already had to purchase elsewhere. Not fair at all - the Doctor said their hands are tied - insurance said we have to go through the Doctor and they have to appeal with the Insurance. Seems like they just wanted a way out of paying a claim - and they won.

This insurance is terrible. For over 40 years I have had good coverage through many other providers. I have an EPO with no co-pays until I spend $3000 out of pocket. When this was presented to me all they tried to do is tell you how to avoid going to the doctor and where not to go. They explained that I should shop around to find the best cost.

I have been seeing the same healthcare providers for over a decade but now I need to find one that is in their network. Most providers don't even want to deal with them! If I needed to see a doctor on my previous insurance I had a $30 co-pay but now I need to pay the full charges up to my deductible. My medications now cost me five times more than before. My twice a year blood work that was covered 100% will now cost me hundreds and I will have to switch to their recommended provider. What I should have done is shop around for better insurance instead of shopping around for cheap healthcare. This insurance actually makes you not want go to the doctor or have tests performed even when you should go.

I've had UHC for 2 years. It has been nothing but trouble from the start. From their very restrictive prescription coverage, to their totally lack of understanding. Most recently our plan was renewed on 12/1/16. With the renewal on 12/1/16 our deductible, which is based on a calendar, year went up $100. I had met and well exceeded our deductible in Sept. After the policy renewal UHC required I meet yet another $100 of my deductible. Never mind I had exceeded even the new deductible in out of pocket cost by hundreds of dollars prior to the renewal. Their excuse is that everything after I met my deductible was applied to "out of pocket" and not to "deductible". Yes. Because that's what happens after you meet a deductible. Basically, they are abusing the policy change to avoid paying for services. I have a very high deductible so it is only after thousands of dollars that they pay anything at all.

It's pathetic to me that after taking months and months and months of premium payments and not paying a dime they totally ignore out of pocket expenses in relation to the new deductible. UHC is a great example of what is wrong with healthcare in America. They are not there to help you when you are sick. They are there to squeeze every last penny out of you without lifting a finger to your benefit. This is why people with chronic illness, sudden seriously illnesses, and trauma struggle financially. It's so sad that in 2016 insurance companies are still being allowed to take such advantage of people who actually need to use their insurance. You are now REQUIRED to have health insurance or you will be penalized. When are the insurance companies going to be penalized for the treatment of policy holders?

If I could ditch UHC tomorrow I would. I had Anthem for years prior to this and never had a single issue. Everything was covered, minimal pre-authorizations were required, and the premium wasn't that different from what I pay now. With UHC every other script I get either has to be totally pre-authorized or needs a request for a quantity limit increase, or isn't covered at all. If you can help it, stay far, far away from UHC.

I have a United Health Care Medicare Advantage plan - one which offers medical transportation if needed. (At least it is advertised in their Benefit Booklet.) I had a routine colonoscopy this year and requested transportation to and from the hospital site. UHC told me that transportation should be arranged via the local healthcare provider. WRONG! I contacted the local clinic, the clinic's main office, my primary provider, the specialist, the hospital site, and assorted nurses - all of which were confused and referred me to one of the others.

Because the colonoscopy involves anesthesia I was cautioned against driving myself. I'm single and couldn't find a volunteer driver so - what to do??? I was attempting to avoid expensive taxi fares. I contacted UHC again and was again advised to arrange this "free" transportation myself... with no specific instructions. I later discovered that the UHC advisors simply don't know how if identify the procedures for arrangement of such transportation. Local organizations actually exist for medical transportation but UHC was not able to identify them. The ignorance of the UHC "Help" personnel have caused me to waste several hours of time in telephone calls.

I have had United Healthcare for years. When I purchased healthcare insurance through the Marketplace for the remainder of 2016 for my newly immigrated husband, the prompts directed me to submit my banking information to pay for his first month. I submitted the information and clicked on the "pay" button. That was November 19. Fast forward to today--December 14. Since his travelers' insurance was about to expire, I tried to locate his United Healthcare ID card to print.

Reason #1: Failure to Process Submitted Payment with No Notification. What I discovered stunned me. Not only had United Healthcare not withdrawn my first payment, but they had also reneged on their pledge to "contact you in the next few days with details about how to pay," as their contract with the Marketplace required. I had no clue that they had not processed my payment until today. My husband had no healthcare insurance. All because they neglected to contact us as required, nor did they process my payment.

Reason #2: No Follow-Up Calls, No Bills, No Communication. Not only that, but when I called to complain and make a payment, the person, "Rain," that I spoke to told me that they never process the first payment by bank withdrawal. Yet United Healthcare did not bother to inform me of that fact until today. I received nothing from them. No emails, nothing. Reason #3: Lack of Knowledgeable, Honest Customer Support. When I found out that my payment had not been processed, I asked to pay immediately to get my husband under coverage. Not only did "Rain" give me false information (she provided me with an ID number, a policy number, and a confirmation number that a follow-up call proved to be false: no such numbers were in the United Healthcare System. My husband still had no account, according to their records.

Not only that, but "Rain" could barely communicate in the English language, nor had she any knowledge of even the basic facts about the Marketplace system--or of the United States, for that matter. For instance, she repeated back numbers several times incorrectly before getting it right. She didn't even know that Ohio was a state, nor did she know that the Marketplace was a government agency. She seemed to think that it was a partner company! In all, I spent over three hours on the phone with "Rain" and her equally incompetent supervisor. I pay over $500 per month to United Healthcare for my own individual coverage. Before today, I planned to keep my coverage with them. No longer.

Anthem--who processed my payment for my husband's 2017 coverage the day I made it--who sent me all of the information I needed to log in to his account immediately, will have a shot at my business. But before I sign on the dotted line, I plan to ask the company about their customer support service. Never again do I want to risk my coverage on a system so shoddy as that of United Healthcare.

United intentionally makes the process of having an out-of-network provider covered as in-network as difficult as possible to ensure that they don't have to pay and puts the onus on the patient to deal with their network's shortcomings. They don't even have common specialists, like psychologists, available in metropolitan areas, despite advertising the "widest network of healthcare professionals." In total, I have spent more than $4,000 out-of-pocket on my psychologist because they don't have one in-network that is accepting patients and meets my fairly basic needs even though I live in the DC metropolitan area.

Additionally, they refuse to put anything in writing that's discussed over the phone, making it impossible to guarantee that the information their representatives provide is true. You often get contradictory or incomplete information and their representatives will not give out full names, ID numbers, or direct contact methods. Furthermore, I routinely hear of doctors leaving United because they reimburse at such low rates (comparable to Medicaid, meaning they don't have the most specialized, highest quality, or experienced doctors). Avoid this insurance company at all costs! (More details below).

I am a young professional with a chronic, degenerative, disabling illness. I see a psychologist for stress management as part of a comprehensive team of doctors. After my employer switched insurance companies in March 2016, I had to find a new mental health provider as my psychologist was now out-of-network. I went through the appropriate appointment search process with United to find an in-network psychologist who could meet my needs. My criteria were fairly basic: a female provider, someone with a doctorate (not a social worker due to the complexity of my health needs), and someone within a six-mile radius since I cannot drive due to my disability (this includes all of DC and a large portion of northern VA).

After six weeks, United told me that they could not find a professional who was accepting new patients that met these criteria. I asked to have my out-of-network psychologist considered in-network. They said that this would be possible. I provided them with my psychologist's information. At the time, it was not made clear to me 1) I had to inform my psychologist to contact United (I thought by exhausting the appointment search process the switch from out-of-network to in-network would be noted in their system and United would contact my provider directly to negotiate costs); 2) There was a time limit in which the provider had to contact United to have appointments covered; and 3) That the case exception arrangement had to be granted before any appointments in order to have them covered.

I then realized the claims from the psychologist were still being applied to out-of-network deductibles, not in-network deductibles. I called United and was informed that in fact it was my responsibility to tell the provider to call United, not United's responsibility. My psychologist called after my next appointment in early September to form a case agreement starting with appointments back in April and continuing forward.

At which point, United took a while to review the case arrangement request and denied coverage. They stated that they were denying coverage because my provider did not contact them in a timely manner. I have since appealed the case and was denied again, despite telling United that their process is very opaque and their representatives failed to inform me of the correct process or that there was a time limit. Note that you can appeal a coverage decision for 180 days and this is the typical timeframe for appealing for coverage for most things (like experimental tests, etc.).

I then asked if it would be possible to at least have the appointments from September (after my psychologist called) covered as in-network, but they said no as the provider requested for appointments starting in April, not September, and the case arrangement would have to be approved prior to appointment coverage (another detail I was not informed of originally). Now United said that my provider has to contact them again in December to have the case arrangement started so I can get appointments covered starting now.

United makes the process so complicated and opaque hoping that patients will make mistakes or providers won't follow up so they can stick the patients with the bill instead of compensating for their own problems. Luckily I have all my mental faculties intact, but still find fighting United's bureaucracy nearly impossible, as I need to work full-time to maintain my benefits while juggling a complex, evolving, and debilitating medical condition.

I have met my deductible and out-of-pocket insurance amounts. Earlier this year it was noted that I had three liver tumors. During the time frame, my PCP of 25 years was no longer part of the Compass program. UHC changed my PCP to a cardiologist. (There happens to be a internal med doctor with the same name, just different initial.) I called UHC and they said that this is the correct doctor. I finally called the cardiologist's office to ask if they could get me a referral to a liver surgeon and they were shocked that they were my PCP.

Finally changed PCPs and got a referral to a liver specialist but not a surgeon. He referred me to a liver surgeon at UNMC and I checked, UHC does not have any liver surgeons in network, if I want to see one, I can pay for it. I called and asked for a gap exception, and they refused that too. So I paid for two CT scans and an ultrasound, and the radiologist report states that it is at high risk for hemorrhage, and that a biopsy it not recommended because it would either rupture or hemorrhage. The radiologist believes a liver resection is required. It sucks not knowing or being able to afford to get this taken care of while I am healthy. So after my family has paid premium, deductible, and out-of-pocket expense, we were "lucky" to only pay $20,000.00 for one year of coverage. I am not sure how this is affordable if it doesn't take care of your medical needs.

I had United Health Care for two years and it was a complete nightmare from the start. To begin with I set up automatic payment on the website. After two months, I received a letter stating I was behind on my payment. After I called the person on the other end said that automatic payment was never set up. So I paid the last two months and set up automatic payment with him.

Two months later the same thing happened. I called again and set up automatic payment with a representative. Two months later this kept happening and no one could tell me why. After this automatic payment was set up. I should also mention that I was paying $199 a month. When it came time to renew my insurance they increased the price to $267 a month for the exact same plan. Nothing I could really do about it so I just sucked it up and paid it.

Three months later I'm at my pharmacy picking up a prescription and my pharmacist told me that I don't have health insurance. I called United Health Care right away and the women on the phone told me that I haven't been paying my bill. Come to find out that United Health Care had been automatically withdrawing the $199 from my original payment but they had not updated my file to withdraw the $267. I had to make a payment right then and there for the missed months plus the current month and the next month as well and I had to wait 24 hours and go back to the pharmacy, on my lunch break again, to pick up my prescription.

Now every month I see my dermatologist. United Health Care sent me a list of approved dermatologists. Most of the doctors on that list had either retired, died, or did not accept my insurance. Finally after six weeks of searching I finally found a dermatologist that accepted my insurance. The first few visits were fine. Every month I have the same thing done at the dermatologist. On my fourth visit the receptionist told me I wasn't covered. I called UHC and they said I was covered and that the dermatologist used a different tax id number. The billing department at the dermatologist had no idea what they were talking about. My next visit was covered. The visit after that was not covered. This went on for awhile and every other visit I was paying over $200 out of my own pocket so that I could be seen.

I kept calling UHC about this. Sometimes they would say that they would reimburse me for my out of pocket expenses and that they would send it to my dermatologist. They never did. Sometimes they would say they would look into it and call me back. They never did. One time the woman hung up on me. Obviously I was mad and perhaps a bit rude on the phone but I was still calm and she hung up on me. After all of this I cancelled my insurance policy with them and went with a different insurance company. I called after my insurance was cancelled to make sure it was cancelled. I also called my bank and informed them that my insurance had changed and that I no longer gave approval to UHC to remove money from my bank account.

Fast forward three months later I get a voicemail from UHC that I'm behind on my payments. I called and talked to a girl and explained that I don't have health insurance anymore with them. I gave her my name and she looked up my account and said that my account had been closed and I do not have a balance and she's not sure why someone called me. I asked her to send me a statement stating that my balance is zero because next month someone different would be calling me and telling me I have a balance. I feel like there are a few other unprofessional things that happened in the last two years that I just can't remember. But as you can see I was never happy with them and I'm never going back to them again.

After several months of paying premiums for my AARP United Health Care Part D Prescription Meds program I have come to the conclusions that the "tier" system of rating prescription medication costs is designed to assure that I LOSE! EVERY TIME! EVEN WITH RELATIVELY INEXPENSIVE MEDICATIONS! I have spent hours on the phone with customer service and have officially requested special consideration only to later be denied.

My wife has United Health Care through her employer. She pays a high premium for the best plan they offered at her job. On top of this she has a very high deductable before they pay anything. Her Doctor and Doctor Doctor want her to have surgery on her legs due to varicose veins that have appeared. They think these veins may be causing her heart problems and are worried a blood clot could develop and go to her heart. After all the pre test she had (which we paid for under her deductable) that the doctors said met all requirements to have surgery the insurance denied coverage. With just a small amount left on her deductable this year. Even if the insurance company changes their mind (very doubtful) it will be next year and she will have to meet all of her deductable amount before they pay anything.

We asked United Health Care for the Doctors name and credentials and all they would say is their medical director. We asked for their name and credentials and were refused an answer. This insurance company has cost our family lots of money for insurance premiums and cost of Doctors visits, blood test, medicines, etc. with no payments on their part. This company is the worst, useless and greedy company I have ever dealt with.

I can't help but think the SYSTEM at UNITED HEALTH CARE is CONNIVING. I feel like I was tricked, and while customer service goes out of their way to sound nice, there was truly no sympathy for my situation. As I recall, the lady in the phone, in the nicest and sweetest voice ever said, "I'm sorry, there's really nothing I can do to help you out."

My situation: I was pregnant and chose a doctor under the network. Every time I had an appointment, every time I had to go for a blood test, every time I had to go for an ultrasound, every time they sent me to the hospital, every time I had to pick up a prescription, I called. I called to make sure that I was covered. I'm just that type of person. I didn't want to risk not being covered by insurance, so every time something came up, I CALLED. Every single time I called, they said it was ok, and that I was covered. Every single time I called, there was a sweet sounding person who seemed to reassure me. They are good at that, SOUNDING NICE... so you move forward with confidence.

Then one day, I receive a bill. A bill for blood work sent to a hospital. I called up United Health Care to find out what this was all about, and the lady on the line, again with a sweet voice, told me I didn't have to worry about it. That the hospital was passing it on to me for "some reason" -- yes, she used those exact words. I asked what the reason was, and she said that it was a bill United Health Care sent to the hospital and that the hospital should cover it but sometimes they pass it off to the patient (she even made the hospital sound bad), and that she would take care of it for me. She didn't take care of it. Now, in hindsight, this bill was sent to me because the hospital isn't covered by United Health Care. This is the same hospital that I gave birth in. This is the same hospital that I had check ups in. And mind you, every time I went, I called first to see if it was ok, and they said YES it was.

So now, after having had all those checkups, and my birth in that hospital, I call up UNITED HEALTH CARE to follow up on that bill for blood work sent to the hospital. They say it's not covered. That I have to pay for this myself. This made me ask about all the other services I had at that hospital. The woman, in the sweetest voice ever, told me that none of my check ups were covered. Nor were the births. Mind you, my doctor is IN-NETWORK and this hospital is the only hospital she practices in. How convenient for them that I know this all now AFTER THE BIRTH, AFTER THE CHECK UPS. They couldn't tell me this before I went to this hospital?! Why, all of a sudden, are they telling me that this hospital isn't covered AFTER TELLING ME IN THE PAST THAT IT WAS.

And now, it's their word against mine? What happened to all those calls I made with recordings that told me that the call was being recorded for quality assurance? WAS IT FOR THEIR ASSURANCE? And all the lady could tell me, in her sweetest voice ever, was, "I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do for you. The bill is yours and you have to pay it." So after paying over $750/month for insurance, I get no help in paying for my birth!?

I talked to my doctor about this and even she felt it was ridiculous. She is standing behind me all the way, and I am filing for an appeal, which the customer service representative told me was my only choice, even though she felt I had no chance of winning the appeal (yeah, she told me that). To the people at UNITED HEALTH CARE... may you receive the KARMA you all deserve for your trickery and fake sympathy.

It's a good thing UHC has pulled out of the Marketplace coverage because they are so poorly administered (note when we had them through an employer they were amazing!). It seems once UHC made the decision to leave Wisconsin, my claims and account were poorly administered! There is no logical explanation to how they make their decisions to pay or not pay a claim. One day they approve a claim only to disapprove the next, without telling the consumer. Sometimes they will pay for a PCP (personal care physician) visit and other times deny it. It took me 5 months to get 3 physical therapy claims paid after repeated calls to get it done.

One out of ten agents you speak to understands what is going on. The others muddle through the process, giving you vague answers. Unless you stay on top of your claims, you will never know if they are paid until months later. I diligently play by their rules and constantly follow through with my account. All parties need to be paid! For instance, prior to a necessary follow-up surgery for an emergency condition, the preauthorizations needed were sent to UHC. Within a reasonable time frame, I received, from UHC, their letter of medical necessity approving this procedure for both the admitting doctor and hospital.

Today I discovered they denied the bill for the admitting doctor because my PCP hadn't put in an request (wrong, she did and I have the approval number), but they did pay the hospital bill portion for the service. When questioned about this, the agent "Joe" said he saw the approval and will resubmit it and to wait 10-15 business days for an answer.

A PCP visit and CT Scan bill for the same medical issue are in limbo. My PCP had called in a "STAT CT scan" for a preauthorization and was given permission, but now UHC stated they don't have enough information from the doctors to pay it. This is another case where they approved it one day and then denied it the next. When called about this they say they need more information and when I call the doctor's billing, I am told they never received this request! It's a constant battle to get things done!

Another complaint I have is about the totals for your deductible and out of pocket costs on your "myuhc.com" account site. They are often miscalculated them and you need to question their accounting. Finally today when I called the corporate phone number to find out whom I could contact about whom to complain to about the inconsistencies in my account, I was informed UHC does not own the Marketplace company using the UHC name, they sell their product to someone else under their name. They couldn't help me and only gave me the same phone numbers that they publish on their website for the marketplace accounts. Well, isn't that a surprise! Another dead end for the consumer! So good riddance UHC, I'll take my business elsewhere to a company who administers their clients in the USA!

After paying premiums for years our son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. His blood sugars drop rapidly and when they become too low he could have a seizure or die. United Healthcare has denied coverage of a life-saving device that would monitor his blood sugar even after our pediatric specialist called the insurance company. What a scam! With a $10,000 deductible they are playing games and making us wait and appeal to move the case to a new calendar year so we have to start over with our deductible. This company has no morals!

This the worst healthcare company in the Untied States with the worst customer service not just in the healthcare industry but of any company operating in the United States. My wife and I have had to spend over 20 hours on the phone, have received inaccurate information, have been told we would be called back and were never called back as promised. If you have an opportunity to use any other health care provider other than United Healthcare - do it as fast as possible as United Healthcare is the worst company I have ever dealt with.

Subpar coverage compared to the providers I encountered at comparable previous employers. On my first phone call to them, I was rerouted 6 times. The 1st department said they would redirect me, then the second department said I actually needed a third department. The third department told me the second department would have the answers I need. It was embarrassing on UHC's part. I'm just hoping I don't need to use my coverage any time soon, which is sad.

After paying monthly health insurance premiums (which are ENORMOUS and that is considering my husband company also paying even more on top of what we are paying) we still have to pay outrageous amount of money for anything and everything. They would not even cover MRI required after an accident. It was with an in network provider. We paid 100%. Prenatal coverage is a rip off and anything else in between we still have to pay outrageous amount of money and that is with a PPO Choice plus plan. Worst insurance ever and I had several before. I cannot complain about their customer service since they have been helpful every time I called or contacted them. This review is toward the organization/owners who is ripping off their customers.

Call centers in Philippines and Jamaica - Good luck trying to get answers to any questions. And there are many. After you go through the older than dirt ladies voicemail cues-she sends you out of the country! Unable to understand. Also you'll receive emails from UHC stating to open your secure message center and when you call because there is no way to do this, they tell you you never received an email from them! Make sure you leave plenty of time to waste-1-1/2 hours should do it.

This is the worst insurance I've ever had. The online provider directory is frequently incorrect. They've dropped a major hospital group, mid year even though I can't switch insurance companies mid year. I'm required to have a referral from my PCP but they list doctors who aren't really in network, so I have referrals for visits that don't get paid because the tax IDs don't match even though there's no tax ID on the referral and even though the doctor's name, address and phone number match. I spend hours on the phone trying to get things resolved. I've been in tears several times because I don't feel well and I'm having to hassle with referrals using an extremely inaccurate online system and phone reps who are difficult to understand and don't even have access to accurate information. They have to call the doctors to see if their tax IDs match what they have in the system to find out if they're really in network or not!

I've never experienced anything like this in my life. Thank goodness I'm switching back to Anthem next year. Stay away from UHC. Even a doctor's office said they're the most difficult insurance company to deal with. There was even a time when my medication was on backorder at one pharmacy, so I went to CVS because they had it in stock just to find out they dropped CVS a few days earlier... also mid year. Then after more than an hour on the phone, the rep could only find 1 pharmacy in a 20 mile radius, which was the one that was out of stock. He finally said to just go to Target and see if it works. It did, but why did it take an extra hour for that??? LOTS of wasted time and frustration.

They tell you what prescriptions they will cover over the phone. After you go to pick it up, then you find out they deny it. They dictate what medicines you should take that only a doctor can do. They should not be allowed to change a medication that has worked for you especially after you have already tried several. They don't cover what they say they will cover. Their customer service is terrible and will give you a different story each time you call. They outsourced as well so there is big communication difficulties. I would not recommend using them. Worst one I have dealt with in 15 years.

Compare Health Insurance