Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
3.14/5

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

1586 United Health Care Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 7, 2019

I LOVE this insurance SO FAR. I have only used it within network providers and have had no issues with service provided. This includes, scheduling appointments, physical or billing. There are various types of insurance provided and I chose the one with vision and dental. The FREE plan is exactly the same with the exception of the above choices. For those additional services I pay a total of $21.20 which is automatically deducted from my social security check. I have NOT used these services to date. I have chosen the 90 day prescription option, which is cheaper than having my scripts filled locally. The doctor DOES call in a month of local amount of meds while the company fills and mails my medicine to me. Cost of the service is NOTHING! I hope this information is helpful.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Overall they are pretty good - I haven't noticed many services that I have had (which are many) to be declined but I haven't received my last statement showing some very difficult situations. There are way too many things that you have to have exceptions done and 9/10 you are denied mostly with medications, And of course the cost of the medication is exorbitant. Once I get in the donut hole, I will have to go off the medication as $400 a month for a disabled 64 y.o. on SSDI is certainly something that I can't afford,

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: May 9, 2019

I'm completely satisfied with this review.

Original review: April 13, 2019

United Health Care has provided my wife and I some of the very best healthcare coverage we've ever experienced. We were first introduced to United through the AARP, who recommends this company, and we would also highly recommend them as well! We have NEVER been refused care/coverage for any illness or surgery that either one has had! United Health Care even provided me a home health aide when I was discharged from a hospital after a 3 week stay. We BOTH highly recommend United Health Care!

Original review: April 10, 2019

I was forced to enroll in a health care plan in order to obtain Medicare Part D due to late enrollment penalty. I had not signed up upon retirement as I did not have any prescription meds. I'm trying to obtain coverage for ** ophthalmic solution which is nearly $500/month without insurance. With insurance there's copay plus first month totaling $425 for Tier 4 prescription. I've been trying to get it reclassified to a lower tier and affordable copay as I'm on Social Security. Due to a small Teachers Retirement payment, I'm not poor enough to qualify for payment assistance. This option provided the best option for the prescription (not the most affordable).

Original review: April 3, 2019

Fortunately, I have not had to contact customer service much. I can only comment on the RX portion which has GREATLY improved. When I first joined and had a need to call them I would be on hold FOREVER. Over an hour. And then they never had an answer. RX is 100% better now although website could be improved for easier use. Too confusing sometimes trying to determine how many refills you have and when looking up a drug price it never works. Not once. Communication regarding orders via text is a great feature.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Original review: June 19, 2019

UHC offers Tier 1 to companies. MOST of the Tier 1 providers on MYUHC.COM is either incorrect information (doctors that no longer operate out of locations - for 2 years or longer) OR the doctors flip back and forth from Tier 1 at UHC's discretion. They disappear from Tier 1 when you are billed for service, don't adhere to copay amounts, and then UHC likes to blame the doctor's office for services rendered. Appeal? Don't bother unless you have proof, it'll be denied or they'll tell you to appeal with your employer. UHC Tier status is useless. Recommendation: USE A DIFFERENT INSURANCE COMPANY THAT KNOWS WHAT THEY'RE DOING.

Original review: June 11, 2019

My cardiologist and nephrologist recommended having an echo categorization done to take care of a blocked coronary artery. However due to additional risk to the kidneys both doctors wanted this procedure done as in patient. Unfortunately after 7-8 calls to the insurance company, and 3 requests put in by the cardiologist, the approval was denied. Unbelievable - after 22 years of paying high end premiums, and the one time I needed an urgent procedure done, United Health Care customer service was terrible... No empathy for the patient, all they were concerned about was the cost of in patient care. I wish now that I had not elected United Health Care as part of my medical benefits. When it comes down to it - they never care about patients!!

Original review: June 11, 2019

I am a senior citizen on Medicare & my insurance is through United Healthcare. I’m a diabetic & have been taking medicines for it. Today I go to my pharmacy to pick up my regular diabetic medicine, & find to my surprise that my medicine has gone up from $8 for 3 months to $500. It's totally preposterous & ridiculous that they would even think that I would pay that amount. Talk about medical expenses & insurance scams!! I have spoken to a couple of the customer service agents at United Health care & not got any acceptable response.

Original review: June 10, 2019

Basically, they will deny claims over and over, and force you to call them and spend hours if not days and weeks on the phone in the hopes you give up. Eventually, they will pay, but you have to basically quit your job to be a full-time claims debater. At one point they even declined my daughter's vaccines! Just get any other company.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I asked United Health Care if they covered a specific CPT code. This information is not in the plan documents; so, the only way to know if you have coverage is to get it in writing. They initially paid benefits, but after nearly a year they told me they had made a mistake and forced me to pay them back.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I broke my ankle at home on 1/20/19 just before midnight so I called an ambulance and was taken to the ER. I was directed to see an orthopedic specialist the next morning because there was a wound on my ankle and the ER doc suspected an open fracture. The next morning was Martin Luther King Jr day so the orthopedist the ER had referred me to was off for the holiday. So I went to the local orthopedic urgent care center. My plan is supposed to have an urgent care co-pay of $30. UHC wants me to pay $179.

I had surgery on the ankle (after the swelling subsided) on 2/1/19. UHC is charging me co-pays for my pre-surgical visit the day before surgery and my post-surgical visits. I researched this and downloaded the CMS Federal Medicare "Global Surgery Booklet". Page 5 of this booklet defines the "Global Surgery" periods as 1 day before the surgery, the day of surgery, and 90 days following the surgery. United Health Care claims that, because the cast had to be removed each time for x-rays, the visit is not covered under the "Global Surgical" definition. On page 6 of the "Global Surgery Booklet" (ICN 907166) it lists services included under the Global Surgery payment in addition to the surgery. Under bullet 7, miscellaneous services, "casts, and splints" are specifically listed.

In addition, this plan states in its publications that medical transport is part of the benefits they provide. I set up wheelchair transportation for 4 separate doctor appointments. This is a tedious and arduous process that, literally, took several hours on the phone. I jumped through all of their hoops including calling the day before the appointment between 4:15 and 5:00 to confirm. No one ever showed up. This is an advertised benefit of this plan but they do not actually provide the benefit. So this is fraud. I have spent MANY hours on the phone with UHC about these issues. All to no avail. They make up reasons, they lie, and then they lie some more.

Original review: June 6, 2019

UHC MRI request has been PENDING for 2 months. I called UHC they they lied to me saying the George Washington University Medical Center was not in their network of approved providers. I called again after talking to GWU and "Lashanda" said that she would email me the listing showing GWU as an approved provider. No email has arrived. It is clear the UHC has a priority of making $$$$. Over 2 months to get an approval? Never choose UHC if you have a choice.

Original review: June 3, 2019

Don't walk away from United Health Care. Run. As fast as you can. My disabled son needed a $11,000 medical device to hear. Because it's UHC I spent a lot of time getting the pre approval in writing so there would be no problems. It took six months and over 30 hours of my time to get UHC to pay for it after they pre-approved it, and I am actually in the medical billing profession so I know what I'm doing. They are horrible. They stalled by saying they needed proof that it had been delivered to us, then they wanted the packing slip, and then they had no reason at all and just decided not to pay it 4 months. It took a serious threat of a lawsuit to finally get someone to pay the bill. This Is Not Unusual. It is the norm for UHC. If you can, get Blue Cross Blue Shield.

Original review: May 29, 2019

I have the option to set aside money for medical expenses and childcare through my employer. They are very slow to pay claims and frequently reject claims unless everything is exactly correct. For instance, a recent claim was rejected because the paperwork submitted included one date that predated the claim year. There was no claim for that money - the date just happened to be on the itemized receipt from the daycare service. Customer service was extremely unhelpful in resolving the issue. They insisted I start over again with new paperwork. This meant I had to go to my daycare provider and have them provide me with a new receipt for the same dates without the one offending date on it. I'm still waiting to resolve this. I would not recommend this "service" to my worst enemy.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I went to my regular doctor and United Health Care did not pay the bill. They made clerical error on which Dr ** I should have coverage with. Even though I put in the correct MPI number they are saying it is my fault. They sent the wrong Dr ** of the insurance card. WTF....

Original review: May 22, 2019

I receive EOBs on a regular basis that post the same claim multiple times. (i.e. I picked up a prescription for $15 and it posts 3 times.) When I call to investigate (if I get a knowledgeable rep or escalate to supervisor) they tell me 2 claims have been reversed in the "medical system" but not in the "pharmacy system". So the first problem is that many reps don't know how to check both systems to see the discrepancy, so they don't know the answer or give you the incorrect information about the claim. This requires another call or escalation to supervision.

The second problem is why don't both "UHC Medical Systems" and "UHC Pharmacy System" have the same information??? Unfortunately I have yet to find someone who can help me report the problem to the IT dept. Representatives also tell me that EOBs don't post reversals (It's like having a credit card charge you 3 times and never post the 2 credits to correct the problem, so the customer has to call the service center and waste both our time and the service centers time for a system problem). But again no one can tell me who to forward this problem to.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I had previously used this website, but somehow Username and password had become corrupted on their site. I tried to log in today May 21 2019 and things didn't match and try and I might for over 30 minutes I tried to get things done, but to no avail. Right now they are the most pathetic medicare operation that I have seen. It should have been an easy fix since I have had problems with this type of thing in the past and it was fixed quickly. In their internet change it is not thought out thoroughly, and now it is a nightmare to make any changes.

Original review: May 20, 2019

UHC has been my insurance provider for many years. They write and phone constantly urging that patients use their other services such as phone a nurse or chat with a nurse online. I have tried using this service and found it to just be another bureaucratic layer in a large insurance company that provides little benefit. I don't know if they are trying to second guess the medical professionals or what. They rarely will answer a specific question saying that they are not allowed by UHC to offer any opinions or information. I have tried to make use of this service as it is one of my plan benefits. I believe this service is merely a waste of time and effort. I will simply take my questions and concerns to my primary care physician.

Original review: May 17, 2019

First, they deny every single claim that comes in from a specialist, always say no referral, and every time when they look they find the referral. They deny authorizations on tests the Dr wants. It's terrible, come on open season so I can get out.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I was fine and everything was working fine, when I received a letter terminating my autopay through Social Security deduction and instructing me to contact their service rep to pay my premium. That began a nightmare that has consumed three days wasted and I still have not received any help to make any progress. All I want to do is pay the company, yet they make that IMPOSSIBLE to do.

Between disconnects, faux autopay links on their website that do not work, arbitrary changing passwords, failing to recognize correct answers to security questions this company is an ABSOLUTE nightmare I would not wish on my worst enemy. And that is in a massive effort to pay them. I shudder to think what shall transpire if I ever receive a denial of service that I need to appeal. AVOID UNITED HEALTH like your life depended on it!

Original review: May 15, 2019

How is it possible that these insurance companies charge retired people the same amount in copays premiums as those who are still working? How do you expect the senior citizens feel good about being retired when faced with exorbitant copays and premiums and live on fixed incomes. The seniors in this country are treated like second class citizens.

Original review: May 8, 2019

Every month this year, I had to call United Healthcare or mail them a letter to send me a prescription summary each month. Last year they had been sending the summary for every month. I noticed this year you have to run them down for a summary. I had to call and write for a summary. They are one of the worst healthcare organization in the US. The people who a answers the phone act like goobers. They can't give you straight answer. They don't know what you are saying. They talked like the finished third grade. They need to get out Medicare business. I will be changing insurance for the new year. Can't do it now. New Medicare patients need to go elsewhere for benefits.

Original review: May 8, 2019

This is a joke! They pay for nothing, and finding a dentist in network is impossible! I dropped it in October of 2018 but continued being billed. Then find I owe huge amount to, dentist they refused to pay. Terrible service, no one knows what is going on. Never again will I purchase a Ryder!

Original review: May 6, 2019

My Mom has dementia and is in Stage 7. She is bedridden and we need a hospital bed to be able to raise and lower her and put her in different positions. UHC has told me any Medicare approved supplier can do it. But when they try, UHC tells them they are not a UHC approved provider. When UHC is asked who are their providers, they give me on in Ohio and 1 in NJ. I am in Florida. I feel they are trying not to give us the help we need. Up to now we haven't made any claims and paid out of our own pocket. So help us now!!!

Original review: May 6, 2019

United Health Care mailed me a card cancelling notices and future information sent through the mail without my authorization. I went to their website and could not make changes to receive my notifications through the mail. I understand their need to save money by making all correspondence online, but they should request authorization first. This leaves us shutout from possible important information that may be needed for our health and to save costs.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I purchased a temporary plan between jobs. I needed to see a doctor. When I tried to use it I called every doctor on their list within 50 miles of my home. I was told a minimum of 45 up to 75 days to be seen. And in many cases they refused new patients on a temporary appointment plan altogether. I was forced to seek public health options which was completely demoralizing and embarrassing. I immediately canceled my policy three days after purchase. It is now 20 days later and I have still not received a refund. Customer service told me 5-15 business days to be paid. This is the worst experience I have ever had with any insurance company. I will tell you now do not buy from this company. They are a joke!

Original review: May 2, 2019

Why did AARP’s UnitedHealthcare cut Silver Sneakers? Fitness and fellowship is so important for seniors. Very misleading to state they have replaced it with something better when they have NOT. Online and telephone services and/or a discount are nothing compared to free gym memberships. Why make this terrible choice then fabricate excuses. Shame on you. Let’s protest and find a company who carries his great benefit.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I have dealt with customer service on two occasions for my mom. Once for chiropractic which I called for preapproval and they said we were good to go and then reengaged. The office manager after 6 months got them to admit mom had coverage but would not say where. My mom is a senior she cannot afford bills that should not be hers to pay. The other day I called to update her MD...it was 45 min and finally I thought we had it. I got the card today and it was totally wrong. The person that was taking the info said my mom was not registered with her former MD in their computer... And yet they have sent us cards previous with the right doctor. I am partial caregiver to my mom I do not have time to waste. Tonight my brother tried to go online and do it and the website would not save any of the info... I use chiropractic and I am 65. I would never go with this company and I am telling everyone who will listen.

Original review: April 30, 2019

My Deducible 2,500.00 + Co-pays + Premiums. Why have it...? I'm so confuse in regards how this insurance operated. It seems like every time I go to the doctors I get a bill and I end up paying more than the insurance company. All my life I have been healthy out of the hospital, I haven't need to use insurances as much but now I'm getting old and some issues pop up, I wonder if car's insurance give users credit to good drivers why healthy people don't get bonuses or credit to their deducible. If my case I never had any need to use any major medical service until now I'm 53, so for the last 33 years I have been paid insurance via my employees. I haven't use it. Money in the trash...

Original review: April 30, 2019

I have never had so much frustration from an insurance company trying to get my medications, the preauthorization process which has already taken 4 weeks because they continually request one more thing from the doctors over & over. Then after you have the preauthorizations & go to fill your medications they deny the preauthorization number that just issued you & tell you that they need to reevaluate the previous authorizations as a whole & your doctor now needs to make a direct call & provide the same information in order for United to issue a new preauthorization for the already preauthorized medications; have I lost you yet? Yeah me too, as well as my Doctor being frustrated with United (they are now evaluating whether to accept new patients covered through United due to this garbage), my Pharmacy has had it with them, all have said they have never had so much problem with an insurance company.

We are now going on two months in this review process for medications that I have been on for 10 years, something is wrong with their system. I don’t have enemies but you know how they say “I would not wish them on my worst enemy” I would have to wish them on themselves. I was once on Medicaid & in my humble opinion these guys are 10 times worse, I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THEM & would advise you to RUN THE OTHER WAY!!! JR **.

United Health Care expert review by Joseph Burns

UnitedHealthCare is the largest single health care carrier in the United States. It currently covers approximately 70 million Americans and contributes large amounts of money to medical research every year.

• Lots of options: UnitedHealthCare provides a wide range of plan options for individuals, families and employers.

• Offers Medicaid plans: Low-income consumers may be able to get Medicaid insurance through UnitedHealthCare.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Seniors may be able to get their Medicare insurance through UnitedHealthcare’s Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Senior citizens, heads of families, employees

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

United Health Care Company Information