Call Now Toll Free
Shop Now on ShortTermHealthInsurance.com
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.89/5
Based on 2,693 ratings submitted in the last year

United Health Care Call Now Toll Free (844) 841-5363 Shop Now on ShortTermHealthInsurance.com

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now
Call Now Toll Free

United Health Care Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

My wife had a recent gynecologist procedure, which involved an outpatient stay in our local women's hospital and for her to be put under anesthesia. I delivered her to the hospital in the morning and picked her up in the afternoon. All was coordinated and facilitated by the caring doctors and nursing staff. To include calls prior and calls post op. The procedure was a success and kept my wife from needing a hysterectomy. Thus it was proactive. Additionally, all of this was covered with no copayments for either the hospital visit or the associated medical prescriptions. Overall, we're 100% satisfied.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

I've been with United Health Care for quite some time, I only use it as a backup insurance for when I can't be seen by the VA, United healthcare has taken care of me when I needed them to, although my primary insurance is the VA, I still use United healthcare somewhat, they do a good job on providing me with good healthcare, I feel pretty comfortable with United healthcare as my secondary insurance.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

During the last 2 years, I have had serious health issues, requiring numerous hospitalizations and an organ transplant in 2019. United Healthcare was there for me every step of the way. Coverage was phenomenal, customer service was outstanding. They provided an RN to monitor my case and work with me throughout my journey. They provided T&E expense reimbursement for my travel to my hospital - Jefferson U. Hospital - which was a center of excellence. I can’t say enough about how fantastic UHC is. I will be sorry when I have to switch in January, 2021.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

United Healthcare has friendly people. They call regularly to check up on you and see if you need help. They remind you of shots should get to stay healthy. Their prescription plan is unbelievable, extremely affordable. The extra money for over the counter supplies are good to have I save $60 every 3 months for daily necessities. You get rewards for Dr. Visits, mammograms, flu shots. So many extra benefits!!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I have a lot of experience with United Health Care. The good is that they are accepted at a lot of places as being in network. However one issue I seen with this is I had to take my son to the emergency room and when I got the billing back, the emergency room is in network, however the attending physician is not and is considered out of network. That is really sad cause I cannot say I want the emergency room but not the doctor. I have to watch their billing a lot cause they did not credit me for all of my payments for prescriptions but after I pointed it out to them they rechecked and found like three of them they never credited and then I got a refund for those.

The rates they have negotiated with hospitals are ridiculously high. At the local hospital I went to get blood work. It was a full blood panel and an ASO titer test. At the hospital it cost me almost $900 for this bloodwork, and that was after the negotiated rate. Prior it was like $1500-1700. But I next had the exact same blood test, but this time had it drawn there and sent to Labcorp and my final price was $32. So when I complained about the hospital gouging me the insurance said well that is what they negotiated so it is acceptable for pricing.

As long as you keep following it and pay close attention then it works well. It is expensive but that is what our company had negotiated. Only other issue I have had with them is hitting the family deductible and the maximum out of pocket expense. My wife had surgery and that allowed us to hit her deductible and the family deductible. However when I got something done, I was charged the full amount not the discount after deductible. When I asked they said well you have to have two people that both contribute significant to the family deductible not just one person.

Original review: April 25, 2021

Great Benefit Emulators (See The Rainmaker novel/film). Mircromanaging my treatment plan and denying the prescribed meds because of the price alone. Despite the expertise of my specialists, after 3 years on the right combination of meds, Great Benefit, I mean UHC, wants me to try cheaper therapies that we have already tried without success. My health is clearly not their concern, just the cost of my health. Customer service reps: it's always a different dept that must handle some other detail, an endless wait to be transferred and an accidental disconnection during the transfer. Every time I call.

Original review: April 13, 2021

UnitedHealthcare is the worse health care. My doctor send three times authorization for my med and United Health care rejected and now I am not able to take my medicine. It’s a horrible company. Even for genetic you need authorization. You pay all these money and can’t get your medication.

Original review: April 12, 2021

When I purchased my United Healthcare supplement policy I was told "We are the best when it comes to yearly increases," that is a ''big fat lie". Not true at all. Almost $20.00 in two years, that's not counting the yearly deductible. Gary **, the truth.

Original review: March 29, 2021

This company was more interested in $$$, vs actual or welfare and outcomes! They could care less, we often avoid medical care in general as too expensive because of their consistent incorrect procedure quotes. They don't $$$ cover what they are liable for or their $$$ mistakes. The patient/ client pays the inflated prices!

Original review: March 29, 2021

I have had United Healthcare on and off for a number of years. In the past, I found them overall to be easy to work with. Having reached Medicare age, I find myself covered by them once again but with a difference. Seeing my primary care physician is generally no problem but, actually visiting any other specialist even with a referral from my physician is a pain in the **.

First - you need a referral it must come from the primary care physician and only the primary care physician. Second - you need an approval letter to have a consult with the specialist. UH makes sure you know that you have permission to see the specialist but, that doesn't mean THEY will PAY for the visit. Third - Specialists are savvy to UH. They won't schedule a consult with you until THEY receive a go ahead from UH.

Fourth - Specialists under contract with UH seem to float on and off the "Approved Provider List". For example, I worked through (operative word here is WORKED) the above steps and actually had a consult scheduled with a specialist only to have my appointment cancelled because UH decided they didn't want to work with the specialist anymore. So for me - back to square one. Getting old is not for babies.

United Health Care author review by Joseph Burns

UnitedHealthCare is the largest single health care carrier in the United States. It currently covers approximately 70 million Americans and contributes large amounts of money to medical research every year.

• Lots of options: UnitedHealthCare provides a wide range of plan options for individuals, families and employers.

• Offers Medicaid plans: Low-income consumers may be able to get Medicaid insurance through UnitedHealthCare.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Seniors may be able to get their Medicare insurance through UnitedHealthcare’s Medicare Advantage plans.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

United Health Care Company Information