Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
3.01/5

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

United Health Care Reviews

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

This company is awesome. They go far and beyond to serve you. Rep. Ronald opened my account seen what I needed and even called my Dr. While I was on hold. Info was transferred and approval was done in minutes. I dont know his last name but RONALD was his first name. Very professional. Spoke clear with confidence takes care of business. Very helpful. I've been treated awesome by the employees that I've dealt with. 100% professional people. Being 60 years old I've had quite a few insurances before. United Health Care is by far the best hands down. Thank You very Much.

D. **
Retired Senior Mastersargent

United States Airforce

Original review: June 7, 2019

I LOVE this insurance SO FAR. I have only used it within network providers and have had no issues with service provided. This includes, scheduling appointments, physical or billing. There are various types of insurance provided and I chose the one with vision and dental. The FREE plan is exactly the same with the exception of the above choices. For those additional services I pay a total of $21.20 which is automatically deducted from my social security check. I have NOT used these services to date. I have chosen the 90 day prescription option, which is cheaper than having my scripts filled locally. The doctor DOES call in a month of local amount of meds while the company fills and mails my medicine to me. Cost of the service is NOTHING! I hope this information is helpful.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Overall they are pretty good - I haven't noticed many services that I have had (which are many) to be declined but I haven't received my last statement showing some very difficult situations. There are way too many things that you have to have exceptions done and 9/10 you are denied mostly with medications, And of course the cost of the medication is exorbitant. Once I get in the donut hole, I will have to go off the medication as $400 a month for a disabled 64 y.o. on SSDI is certainly something that I can't afford,

Original review: April 10, 2019

I was forced to enroll in a health care plan in order to obtain Medicare Part D due to late enrollment penalty. I had not signed up upon retirement as I did not have any prescription meds. I'm trying to obtain coverage for ** ophthalmic solution which is nearly $500/month without insurance. With insurance there's copay plus first month totaling $425 for Tier 4 prescription. I've been trying to get it reclassified to a lower tier and affordable copay as I'm on Social Security. Due to a small Teachers Retirement payment, I'm not poor enough to qualify for payment assistance. This option provided the best option for the prescription (not the most affordable).

Original review: April 3, 2019

Fortunately, I have not had to contact customer service much. I can only comment on the RX portion which has GREATLY improved. When I first joined and had a need to call them I would be on hold FOREVER. Over an hour. And then they never had an answer. RX is 100% better now although website could be improved for easier use. Too confusing sometimes trying to determine how many refills you have and when looking up a drug price it never works. Not once. Communication regarding orders via text is a great feature.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I have had United Health Care Medicare advantage plan for two years. For the first time I had a medical experience where I needed a prescription filled. The first prescription was part of United Health Care's formulary. After two days of using this prescription and returning to the doctor, the doctor voiced concern that the medication was actually exacerbating the issue, so told me to stop using it and prescribed a different one. United Health Care denied it. Told me to go back to using the first one. Yup! I challenged it, but it did no good. It's open enrollment right now, and you can be sure I will not be going back to United Health Care.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I encourage everyone researching medicare insurance companies to avoid AARP Medicare Advantage, United Health Care. I have had this company for a few years and have had the following challenges:

*Customer service does not know what they are doing 90% of the time or how to solve problems.
* The Provider Directory is 90% incorrect on the physicians listed for primary care. Physicians are tired of receiving calls for service when they either have never been part of the United Health Care plans or dropped them due to bad business practices.
*Every doctor I have had and their business staff hate dealing with the incompetence of United Health Care.

*My dental coverage was dropped w/o notice after my first claim.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

Run the other way if you can! The customer service is the worst. I have UHC as my health plan and I also do the billing for a large neurology group. I am also in charge of doing the Prior auths for medications. UHC will find any way to not pay your claim, they will give you an authorization and then cancel it a day later. When you call and ask to talk to a supervisor they don't allow you to. They will tell you "upon looking further into this situation..." They do not listen to the customer's needs or the doctor's office who is fighting for the patient's health. The only thing they care about is not paying out a claim by any means necessary.

Secondly, they signed this contract with Briova and let me tell you, I have over 100 patients just for 1 medication here and it is a complete nightmare every time I call. Just got off the phone with Briova. The lady tells me there is no script on file but they sent a fax asking for clarifications on the script. They don't bother to look through the notes. They just try to end the call as fast as they can without checking on anything. You want your doctor to like you don't use them, get Humana or Blue Cross. Humana is the best, I think. I have the least amount of problems with them but at any rate, use these people as your last resort. I even sent a letter to the CEO of UHC and to Briova about how bad everything is, I never heard from them. They honestly do not care about your well being.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I've worked in healthcare for over 25 years. Based on my experiences with United Health Care, I have to think all the positive review on here are fakes. UHC has become yet another company to outsource their customer service to the Philippines and/or India. These reps have no knowledge and even worse English language skills.

All they can do is read from a script in very broken English. Be prepared to sit on hold for ridiculous amounts of time, then when they do finally answer, you'll have to ask them to repeat themselves over and over, trying to decipher what they're saying. Not that it matters because what they're saying is usually completely useless. There's no accountability because they all use fake pseudonyms.

I've spent the entire morning being transferred to various departments, sitting on hold, transferred, being redirected to different numbers and hung up on. Asking to speak to a rep in the USA is useless. They say it's not an option. Speaking to a supervisor is equally useless. They have no better knowledge and they'll just leave you on endless hold or hang up, too. The automated prompts tell you to stay on the line after the call if you'd like to take a survey but, if you ask to be transferred to the survey, they just hang up on you. Disgraceful!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I work for a company that was absorbed through a merger into a much larger company. As an unfortunate result, my health insurance changed to United. For this reason alone I am stuck with this HORRIFIC insurance provider but I am currently working towards changing jobs just to be able to get proper insurance. (Not joking at all right not, that's how horrible United is.)

I've had two herniated disks for roughly 8 years now with pain so intense that I actually chipped my front teeth a few years back. Since that less than pleasant experience, I have been treated by a fantastic pain management center that combined PT, epidural injections and a medication regiment that's kept me stable enough to continue working my labor intensive job. Unfortunately surgery wouldn't do much good for my particular case so I regularly get injections and work on my physical therapy to help alleviate as much pain as possible. With Blue Cross & Blue Shield (insurance my previous company provided) there was never an issue with coverage for my involved care, whether it was the medications or the therapy, there was never any interruption with my treatment.

From the very first month of having United (AWFUL) as my new healthcare provider, I was told that the medications that were keeping me vertical are not approved because it's for terminally ill patients. I relayed the message to both my spine doctor and my GP and both were amazed that this was what was decided. I'll admit that I'm on some very strong medications but nowhere near the type and/or dosage needed for someone with a terminal condition. (Told to me by both of my doctors) Thinking that this may be some new method of the healthcare industry, I didn't worry too much and my doctor tried several different medications until we found one that was effective on my condition.

Fast forward about 4-5 months and again...same issue. "We have determined that this medication isn't needed for your condition and therefore we will not cover any expenses associated with it." When I asked how their doctor came to that conclusion without ever having even spoken to me, let alone see me in person and examine me....the supervisor stated that it's not doctors or medical professionals of any capacity that make these determinations but analysts. WHAT?! Some bean counter that has ZERO medical experience, has NEVER evaluated me, NEVER looked at my charts or know ANYTHING about me is going to tell me, AND MY DOCTOR, that I don't need certain medications?!

It would be bad enough if this only happened once or twice but imagine if this happened on 7 different occasions within the last 3 years!! It is unbelievable that this, this disgusting profit maximizing system is what United Healthcare uses to treat it's patients. Not only does the medication not get approved, but the appeals process and everything else involved to get me on another new regiment of medications takes weeks to sort out! Mind you, I'm in excruciating pain, taking time off work and unable to even walk while this disgusting, loathsome and hypocritical company's representatives tell me that they're sorry.

They increase their premiums like clockwork but when it actually comes time to help one of their customers, they try to do everything possible to make sure they don't pay out. I sincerely hope that United Healthcare is soon making headlines and being investigated by some Senate sub-committee. Their actions need to stop immediately because while they're trying to make their shareholders happy, regular hardworking Americans suffer because of some analyst wants to save the company a few cents. United needs to have oversight and absolutely needs to be held accountable for how they treat their customers.

If in any way possible, DO NOT, I repeat...DO NOT choose United Healthcare as your insurance provider. Should the time ever come for you to need them to help you in any way, all you'll get is an "I'm sorry" from some representative that couldn't care less about you. If you're reading this, thank you for looking over my entire review. I promise you that nothing I've written is embellished or exaggerated in any way. I am genuinely looking at employment elsewhere just so that I can get a different insurance provider. Please, I implore you to heed my warning and choose literally any other provider so that you don't need to go through this ordeal every few months.

United Health Care expert review by Joseph Burns

UnitedHealthCare is the largest single health care carrier in the United States. It currently covers approximately 70 million Americans and contributes large amounts of money to medical research every year.

• Lots of options: UnitedHealthCare provides a wide range of plan options for individuals, families and employers.

• Offers Medicaid plans: Low-income consumers may be able to get Medicaid insurance through UnitedHealthCare.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Seniors may be able to get their Medicare insurance through UnitedHealthcare’s Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Senior citizens, heads of families, employees

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

United Health Care Company Information