1.45/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 23, 2018

1266 United Health Care Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 23, 2018

I've been subjected to this company off and on for the better part of two decades. Their website interface hasn't changed in twenty years. I agree with those complaining that the provider search, is next to useless in terms of returning accurate results (I do grant that when I called in person and asked a customer service rep, they gave me good results. They must know some secret I don't, because my searches always result in doctors from the wrong specialty categories, or doctors who don't accept my plan.)

The site has never had a working link to indicate your in-network and out-of-network account balances over the course of twenty years - I've been seeing the same bogus legend stating the "systems are down, contact our Help Desk by phone" - apparently the system is 100% nonfunctional and United hasn't bothered to hire coders in 20 years. I always have to call to find out where I am in terms of meeting my deductible amounts, and once when I was speaking to a rep and told them about the Help Desk legend, they couldn't restrain their half-laugh of surprise. (Just think how much more smoothly the call system would run, and how much money they could save on reps, if the reps weren't constantly required to take calls daily from people inquiring about their progress in meeting their deductibles!)

Out-of-network claims take weeks, sometimes months, even to show up in the network widget (the page for New York Optum filing, does nothing more than provide a blank page after you press "Submit", cheerfully telling you "Thanks! Would you like to upload another claim?"). No claim number, no personalized details, no nothing. I see an occupational therapist, and some of the therapist's claims are going on three manual upload attempts and three weeks without making their way into the website widget - maybe United is hoping I get so confused I don't bother with submitting the claims for processing, because I can't remember which have and haven't been paid? Avoid at all costs. If my employers didn't contract with UHC, I certainly wouldn't be doing so.

Original review: April 22, 2018

In November I sign my myself, my child, and my husband up for health insurance. I sent all the paperwork. No problem. I got our card in January. The amount was taken out of my paycheck. End of January I got letter say was husband was going to be drop for insufficient paperwork. I called the number and spoke to someone who told me that my marriage license appear blurry on the computer. So they told me send another copy. I did. I was told he would be reinstate. They still have not reinstated him. I was also told that the department that makes this decision does not accept phone call or make them so I can not talk them. I have to customer service. All customer service can tell me is they cancel him due to insufficient paperwork even though they have the paperwork. You can see it in the system. Avoid this company.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 19, 2018

I do not understand how and why an insurance company, NOT your doctor, gets to decide that the proper medication is for patients. I've taken a medicine for 17 years and was denied as it's not a prescribed course of treatment. Spoke with the rudest, most uncaring human alive who, on autopilot, continued to repeat how this was not covered, had to take a generic. Explained I had tried that and had side effects that the other didn't have. You need a note from your doctor (yes, that would be called a prescription), actually what needed to be done was to submit an appeal from my doctor to these idiots. Was literally in tears over the frustration at having to go through all these hoops.

Do those stupid companies think we want to take medicine, that it's something frivolous or unnecessary to maintain our health and well being??? I most certainly do not want to fill my body with drugs; however, the only way that I can live as normal and less pain-free with that medicine. How does someone other than a caregiver, long term physician know what works best for that individual. I've spent 2 hours trying to get this fixed, and another 2 and counting to find another plan for myself outside of my work coverage. Disgusting and despicable human beings playing with the lives of their so-called customers.

Original review: April 18, 2018

70 days ago I purchased a CPAP machine to replace an existing one that had quit working. UHC required a sleep study even though I had been dealing with apnea for over 20 years and had a sleep study previous. Had the sleep study, got the results and Rx and primary care referred me to local supplier. Supplier wanted my credit card information and I asked to pay my co-pay in advance rather than provide them with c.c. information. They said they couldn't do that. I went to two other suppliers in network and they all wanted the same info. I ultimately purchased the same new equipment from a supplier outside the network at less than half the price for cash.

I submitted for reimbursement and received a denial for the sales tax portion approximately 30 days later. I then called to ask about the cost of the machine reimbursement. I was told that I had apparently written down the wrong date on the reimbursement form so I needed to resubmit. Invoice and credit card statement showed the correct dates but this was a way to delay payment. I was assured then that as soon as I submitted the forms with the correct dates I would be reimbursed. So I resubmitted all documents again and waited 30 more days with no acknowledgment.

Called again and got a different customer service representative. She put me on hold for 5+ minutes then came back on to inform me that my claim had been denied for not having prior authorization. I asked her why I had not been notified and when had this been decided. She said the day before so I probably had not received it yet. Duh!

I argued that my Primary Care Physician had received authorization to send me to the supplier, the only difference being that I went outside the network so I wouldn't have to give my c.c. information and paid less than half what I would have had to in-network. She said their records indicate I did not have prior authorization, I could appeal the decision.

Don't let price alone determine what supplement plan you get to augment Medicare. Read the customer experience reviews. This company uses deceptive tactics to avoid paying. The device is covered in my plan, I jumped through all the hoops they required, then they say they don't have all the information. They attempt to wear you down with paperwork and delays in hopes you give up in frustration.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Called my Insurance company to help find a doctor, after looking on their website in which 6 out of 10 doctors DID NOT USE United Health Care, but we're on their website. So I called to get some help on was put on hold for 53:25 and after writing this I am still on hold. What does this say? I work hard in a labor position and pay bi-weekly for insurance, a lot for my insurance. I need a special doctor and cannot get help. What is a consumer to do?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Original review: April 14, 2018

I enrolled Jan 2017, and was immediately sorry I did. My main interest was mental health, and they have no providers in directories, you have to call, wait while they look up, then write down info. Half are not accurate, including their licensing. None accepted new patients. Trying to get a provider for an eye exam was a waste of time, since those listed were almost all at 1 address and didn't accept United. Customer service often listed people in El Paso - 50 miles away - in another state. They paid $2000 MORE than charged by a hospital that should not have been paid for unnecessary, duplicate claims, abusive doctors, etc. I filed several complaints that took my time, then never were found, and asked to report again and again. But, Dec 7, 2017, I DISENROLLED!! - BUT they refuse to let me out. First, they blamed me. Then, made me send a letter. Then another form to request a disenroll, as if I never did it.

MEDICARE got me results: A letter from United stating retroactive disenrollment to Dec 31 2017. Didn't matter. Now, I'm bombarded with calls, letters wanting to know about my "grievance"!!! MEDICARE still shows I have United, preventing me from getting a doctor, or having claims accepted by MEDICARE. They will disconnect you, transfer you, do anything except provide healthcare. And I paid so much more for so much less than original MEDICARE. United is a total ripoff trying to make investors think people stay with them, when the truth is United refuses to release people, and continues to harass them!

Original review: April 12, 2018

My work phone number is listed incorrectly on the United Health Care (UHC) website and I receive 2-3 phone calls each week from UHC patients and/or UHC staff. This has been going on for 3 years! I have tried and TRIED to have my number removed. The phone calls have nothing to do with my position - I've had this same phone number since my hospital was built, 13 years ago. I feel like I've entered the twilight zone when I call - they won't talk to me unless I give them my tax ID #. I tell them they don't need my tax ID#. Their customer service is very limited in the ways of critical thinking.

I pled "just listen to what I am saying - your website is incorrectly posting my phone number" - still I've been told they cannot talk to me unless I give them my tax ID #. Every. Single. Time. It's an UHC staff person calling me, I tell them the same sad story. They always seem concerned and that they're "writing a note". They always "write a note". Nothing changes. I would never have UHC as my personal insurance company. If, after 3 years, I cannot get them to cooperate by removing incorrect information from their website - I can just imagine how difficult it would be to try to navigate their crazy system as a client.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Back in October 2017 I saw an interventional radiologist for a problem I was having. Turned out I needed an arteriogram which found a 90% blockage in the iliac artery. Since this procedure I have felt 100% worse. I have unexplained pain in my hip and in the IT band area that is chronic and constant. I can’t walk without limping, can’t cycle, has completely sidelined any exercise. Doctor kept telling me it would get better with time that he’s done a lot of work. Hasn’t gotten better and now the pulses aren’t as great as he wants. He suggested another arteriogram. I said absolutely not because there are other diagnostics that are less invasive and can detect a problem. So he ordered an MRI of two areas. I have been trying to get this procedure done for the last 5 weeks. Diagnostic center I’m using is usually pretty on the ball.

Three weeks ago they called me two days before the procedure to tell me they didn’t have insurance authorization. Got on the phone with the doctor. Got on the phone with the insurance company. Did a three-way call with the doctor's office, with the authorization department. Turns out they’re saying the doctor hadn’t submitted for one of the procedures. It was approved. I was going to go reschedule so I rescheduled. Supposed to have it tomorrow. Get a call from the business office today telling me that they’re still pending a peer to peer review on the one procedure. Call the insurance company back. She can even find me in the system. Says I don’t exist. Fabulous! Gave the case number from last phone call (which was 45 minutes between all departments) and voila! Pulled it up and she said their notes showed that it’s not approved. Still pending peer to peer with the doc.

Sooo, what was accomplished in that 45 minute call? And this one was snarky today because I requested a supervisor which I guess was her and I must’ve interrupted her lunch because she had a huge attitude the whole time. Couldn’t find me which seemed to annoy her more. “Are you sure you’re giving me the correct number?” "I am, are you sure you’re entering it correctly?" It’s kind of funny that there was the case and me!

In any case you can’t email them. I pm’d on Facebook. Very generic. They couldn’t respond to anything because of Hippa. WTF is that messaging system for then? To send compliments, lolol? I’m sure they don’t get too many of those. I’m trying to be the judicious cost-conscious consumer by using an interventional radiology instead of using a vascular surgeon but guess what? I’m going for a second opinion and I’m going to a vascular surgeon and let the $$$ add up because my health comes first and my time is money.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I have nerve damage from diabetes of 24 yrs. They have covered my pain medicine for the 14 yrs I have been with them. This year they denied coverage for 71.5% of my medicine. Causing me to go into withdrawal ( my god that hurts and is awful) and to live with tremendous pain every day compared to having it under control all those years. They risked my life and are torturing me. That is only the beginning, too many more complaints to list. They SUCK.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Of course there was a bill that they would not cover any of. We called them and they started blaming us and trying to get us to buy something else. But the real kicker is that we talked to the certain Dr. and it turns out that UHC has a contract with them that states we, being UHC members, will be charged over a hundred dollars more than others. Everyone we talked to at the doctor's office said not to file anything through UHC ever again, but of course nobody told us that upfront and nobody is changing the bill price now that we are aware of this discrimination.

Original review: April 9, 2018

United Health Care is the worst company EVER! They continue to DENY medication that I DESPERATELY NEED! I wonder when I end up in the hospital will they like a 200K bill instead? I have met ALL The criteria for this medication YET THEY STILL DENY! What is wrong with them. I would like to give ZERO Star but that is not an option.

Original review: April 8, 2018

My daughter graduated from college in mid December 2017. During that time, I contracted for short term insurance for her, from 1/4- 2/12/2018, with payment from my credit card, I am the parent. Now we are billed, every month regularly, although cannot speak to them due to 1) 20 minute wait, 2) they will not acknowledge any of my emails due to privacy laws. Getting very little support via credit card, and unable to get my daughter to call since 1) don't have member ID, 2) she is 3 time zones away and cannot call due to the 20 minute wait on any given day. I have the time, but they will not speak to me or acknowledge anything even though it is my credit card.

I can imagine if their call center is that busy, how do you even contact them for billing questions, or claims, or any other day to day activity. Myself, I had to join AARP, just to get a quote for supplemental insurance and they inundate you with paperwork and finally realized how worthless both United Health and AARP can be.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I was laid off last year and got insurance through the ACA. I got a new job last August and became eligible for benefits in January of this year; however, for several reasons I wasn't able to finally select a (least crappy) plan and submit my paperwork to them until late February. I was then told I would have to pay the January and February premiums, although I wasn't signed up for benefits through them (still on ACA), received no benefits through them, and have STILL not used their benefits. They didn't even know who I am, yet they insist I pay them. I asked to cancel my plan because screw that, I'm staying with my ACA insurance; however, they're insisting I still pay two months of those premiums. How is this legal? Where do they get off forcing me to pay for services I didn't receive and hadn't been signed up for?

Original review: April 6, 2018

We are a small company and had health insurance with United Health Care. Every year they do an audit to see if a company is still active or not. They send the audit to an employee who had left our company and got no response. They decided to end our health insurance. We did not know anything! One of our employees had to go to the doctor and needed to pay. We found that strange and found out that we were not insured anymore. We had to call our "representative" and after 2 days she called us back. We need to go through the whole process again to get health insurance. We are choosing a different provider. That's for sure!!

Original review: April 5, 2018

Terrible service, will deny claims just to see if you will fight them even though it IS covered. Customer service cannot answer a simple question. Website is a joke, they made it so you cannot upload documents... the only way is by mail.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I've had so many claims screwed up, it is unbelievable. Anytime I'm owed a reimbursement, it takes forever. Typically I submit my claim, call 4 or 5 weeks later only to find that someone has screwed up and then it takes an additional 30 days for me to receive my funds. Trying to speak to an actual human is near impossible, and when you do, they have no idea what they are talking about. This is the worst company I have ever had to deal with. And to think, our health care is in their hands. ROFL!

Original review: April 4, 2018

Very undependable service, have missed 2 appointments 'cause they either don't have me on the schedule, or they just plain DON'T SHOW UP! Not gonna use them anymore. Might even cancel United Health Care; refused to let me choose my transportation company. **. Very upset about an appointment missed today. I'm an amputee--both legs and my right hand.

Original review: April 3, 2018

In 2009 a Dr. ** was operating as an Oral Surgeon in Phoenix, AZ. Around that same time he closed his office and left AZ to continued his practice in UT. His website lists him as operating at the following locations: 3648 W 9800 S South Jordan, UT 84095, 485 N Market Place Drive Centerville, UT 84014, 275 W 200 N #175, Lindon, UT 84042, 1434 E 4500 S #202, Salt Lake City, UT 84117. NONE IN ARIZONA!

In 2010 the phone number previously used by Dr. ** office was given to another local Phoenix business. Since that time United Healthcare has been calling repeatedly and although I have informed them each and every time they call to please update their records, to date they have not. As a matter of fact, I am writing this because in the last week they have contacted my office 3 separate times, even though we have requested numerous times that they remove our phone number from their system.

We have patients contacting us, patients needing to schedule appointments, etc. It is not only unprofessional, but highly alarming that after EIGHT years, dozens upon dozens of requests to update their records and still patients are unable to locate a healthcare provider because of United Healthcare continually refusing to update their provider roster.

What if a UHC client was calling to schedule an appointment and gave their "personal information" out to the individual that UNITED HEALTHCARE referred them to call? Could it possibly be a bad situation for the patient to provide personal information to a random individual? United Healthcare is aware this is not the correct number, they are aware that this Dr is not practicing here, yet they are still negligent in updating the records. I wonder how many other phone numbers on their roster are incorrect. Alarming to say the least with all this identity fraud going on! They should take more care to protect their clients. PLEASE REMOVE the listed phone number on the associated AZ record from your records PLEASE!!!

Original review: April 3, 2018

The first page received from Golden Rule A United Healthcare Company started with the words "Thank you for your application for insurance". Further down the page it read "call us at 1-800-657-8205". I called twice that number. The first time, the voicemail claimed I had a 30 minute wait time. I thought I would call back later in the day so approximately 1:30 pm ET, I called the number again. I held patiently for 70 minutes with no live person just music. This is no way to operate a business in the Health Insurance Industry. I really have serious doubt about the legitimacy of this company now and have even called my representative whom sold me this insurance leaving her a voicemail about my concerns.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I had a heart attack March 3rd 2018 and my doctor put in a stent. Called United Health to try and get me a life vest and said I needed one because I am at risk of a sudden cardiac arrest. They refused it. Then they would not pay for my ** or **. Switched it to a new cheaper brand of insulin which the ** was working great but no they switch it to ** which my sugar is still running high. Then my doctor had me on ** for a month. Had me stable and United refused to cover it. Told my cardiologist to switch my med to something else so it got switched to ** which I haven't gotten yet 'cause I need to talk to Dr because it has sulfur in it and I am allergic to sulfur. I am sick and tired of my meds being changed when I am stable and tolerating a med well and because another med's cheaper. They refuse to cover what docs prescribe. What? I have no say in my care or my meds?

So I guess if I die my children will have a lawsuit? I get UHC through the state. Why does it matter though. My health should matter first and foremost. I stopped going to Drs and taking meds for a year 'cause I was tired of my insulin being switched and it cost me a heart attack which yea my fault there but my previous Dr was thinking I wasn't taking my meds and I was then but the meds they switched me to was not helping. This is sad and a shame. No value for human life at all. Shame on you UHC.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I used to have Cigna which by are amazing but I got married and got on my husband's insurance who have UHC as the carrier for all medical, dental and vision. I'm extremely disappointed at their customer service when I've asked for help. They don't care. The worse for any help! Their response is do it yourself response instead of helping by contacting the doctor's office to get the coding corrected or help locate a provider that's in network instead of directing me to their website. They are just terrible! I'll never use them again and will definitely go back to Cigna!

Original review: March 30, 2018

Optum Behavioral Heatlh - I didn't know this company existed until I received a letter from them a couple days ago. The letter said they noticed I didn't cash a reimbursement check for $65 and to sign the piece of paper and return it. Went on to say "if you need more information to contact them at "Member services or Provider services" dept. NO PHONE #.

There was no Member #, no TAX ID #, no Group # or Provider # posted on the form. I located a number on Google which showed Utah State. I called the #, and they gave me another #. Of course this is after all the darn prompts - you know the ones, "before I can help you further please select from the following ..." And forced to select an option. Surprise, after selecting an option another one "before I can help you further..." And more options. Finally, I get to a live person in "Claims dept" and he tells me I need to speak with the billing dept as he is unable to locate any info by the Check #.

He transferred me to what I thought was the "Billing dept" only to have been transferred to the "WEB team" lol. Now 20 minutes has gone by. I finally said, "I m done. If you don't have a signed check showing cashed by me, and it's been since 5/17/17 when you issued it to me, good guess I didn't get it. Anyway, I DO NOT RECOMMEND this company, if they can't help the customer aside from giving them the runaround, how can they possibly run their business sufficiently. Secondly, they are outsourced, and one support person named Kajurrie said he couldn't understand me. Wow!

Original review: March 29, 2018

I work in healthcare field - This has to be THE WORSE company when it comes to responding to reconsiderations! Some woman named Lissette that does the reconsiderations for UHC I had never spoken to her until I started leaving bad surveys - they closed recons, do not send denial letters, then when you try and fight it they upheld it even though by LAW they are untimely - I wouldn't recommend anyone doing business with them!!!

Original review: March 29, 2018

I had a C-section because my baby was breech. UHC denied paying my claim for the anesthesiologist because they were Out Of Network. I went to an In Network hospital and did not expect to have to check benefits on every person that treated me, nor did I have time. I had no choice in who performed my spinal block. It doesn't even look like any anesthesiologists are In Network at my hospital. I appealed the claim twice and was denied both times.

They also say I am not eligible for an external review, so I can't even appeal to the state. The anesthesiologist won't negotiate either. No one should have to worry about this when they go to an In Network Hospital. If you have United Healthcare, use caution before going to a hospital for any services. They will not cover anything Out of Network. I wish I had known, although I don't think it would have mattered. I still had to have a spinal block either way. Something must be done to end this surprise billing.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Worked for a few small things. Promised coverage for medical expenses now I'm responsible for payments. What is the point of having insurance then? Seeking reimbursement has been a surreal exercise in wild goose chases, jumping through hoops, sending and resending paperwork with no results. Being put off, stories changed, requirements changed even hung up on now by "customer service." Avoid this company. Organized crime.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I recently received another rate hike from United Health Care on my premium. The claim for the increase: "health costs have increased, so we need to adjust our rates". Personally, I am 50 and perfect health. I have no claims, never have had. Perfect health is what I can claim. I was encouraged by United Healthcare 6 months ago to lower my premium by increasing my deductible. Within 6 months my premium went back up to what it was, + another $25. When I called to ask about this increase, they said there was nothing they could do. No explanation. No other program to offer me. Nothing. I am grandfathered in from an old Golden Rule premium. It is clear the United Healthcare and any other carrier will be looking to squeeze as much out of us on our current premium, or squeeze us out of a grandfathered program.

Six months ago, United Healthcare had an opportunity to help me with my premium, to make me a customer and build some trust. Instead, they chose to raise my deductible, save me $50 a month for 6 months, then come back and recoup the money 6 months later. I have no say in this. The rate is locked in for one year thanks to Obama Care and the thoughtlessness of the loopholes built for insurance companies. United Healthcare said they did not have a plan for a 51 year old single woman who owns her own business, that I needed to seek an insurance agent and find new insurance. I ask you, is that good business practice?

Original review: March 27, 2018

Nothing comes out and grabs me about the pricing or the service except United Health Care has improved on the robotic voice. I have no complaints but it seems they take a very long time to approve billing. I use Vanderbilt and they may be the problem with that. It does seem there is not much of a discount when I use their clinics.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Besides long wait times on the line when making phone calls, I had an experience recently that makes me think the UHOne is not reliable in term of providing necessary information to its clients. I purchased a HSA health plan in 2013 and since I was not familiar with that system and had been receiving almost zero information after that, I thought there would be monthly contributions automatically transferred into my HSA account. After almost four years when I canceled my plan due to some other problems, I realized that it was "HSA compatible" and there were no account and no contributions in the past 4 years!!!

I do not want to accuse anybody, but I feel there is an intention to mislead the people by not providing detailed information. If you are seeking a good plan with an affordable/reasonable premium, I do not recommend UnitedHealthOne/GoldenRule at all, unless you are well-aware of the health insurance system in the U.S. and are able to raise questions about everything necessary right at the beginning of process.

Original review: March 25, 2018

United Healthcare fulfills my needs. I like the low co-pays due at time of service and promptness with paying claims. Due to United Healthcare coverage, I have continued to use this carrier for a number of years (with no complaints).

Original review: March 24, 2018

Do not get this health coverage as they don't cover much and if you have a question or concern through their customer service, they will put you on hold for an hour. I tried to cancel my healthcare and when I finally got to an agent about canceling my policy, they just said, "you want to drop us just like that?" Then hung up. Worst coverage I've ever had. I may consider suing.

United Health Care expert review by Joseph Burns

UnitedHealthCare is the largest single health care carrier in the United States. It currently covers approximately 70 million Americans and contributes large amounts of money to medical research every year.

• Lots of options: UnitedHealthCare provides a wide range of plan options for individuals, families and employers.

• Offers Medicaid plans: Low-income consumers may be able to get Medicaid insurance through UnitedHealthCare.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Seniors may be able to get their Medicare insurance through UnitedHealthcare’s Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Senior citizens, heads of families, employees

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns

Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

United Health Care Company Information