1.63/5

1379 United Health Care Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I am a diabetic; hereditary, I eat right and try to exercise. Very bad heel pain and subsequent back pain. Part of aging but it wacks out my A1C with inflammation and pain. Went to foot Dr.; custom shoe inserts for support are $500 cash. No credit cards accepted. Insurance does not cover. Dr. called and I called 3 times. Was told that they would however, cover diabetic shoes with lesser custom insert 100%. And multiple pair each year. Didn't make $$ sense but I will work within the system. I called back to confirm because of the cost, didn't want any misunderstandings. Yes! Approval letter from insurance company. Called to confirm. Now after Dr. orders all of it. The insurance company denies the claim. I pay them $1000+ a month. They approve "in error" apparently because of the state I live in. These types of items are not covered. How can that be, what does the state I live in have to do with it? It shouldn't. They sent out an approval letter.

Now I am going to be billed for something that I don't have money for, cash only no credit cards, AND here is the best part. I get billed the full amount not even what the Dr. would have accepted from the insurance company as full payment. So this error in approval could cost me thousands of dollars. OPP's really? "I'm so sorry" doesn't cut it. Too bad I actually have a job and pay for my insurance. I wouldn't have this problem on public assistance now would I; hello America what's wrong with this picture? Vote in people who will stop handing out better care than what working people are able to purchase. I had Blue Cross Blue Shield until they pulled out of NY. I am paying for one of the top level tiers. I guess I should have went with the lowest level and saved my money for the things they don't cover.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

My credit score dropped 100 points because of a $100 claim that went months unpaid by UMR. I contacted them multiple times to confirm that the claim was not denied and that it would be paid. They "missed" it, and I had to spend 8+ hours on the phone fighting between debt collectors, billing, and UMR to get the mark removed from my credit report (but it was still there for three months). In addition, I self-submitted a claim for reimbursement, which they admitted sat in their system for over 5 weeks, before they found it (and note I again called multiple times to follow up on this claim).

It still has not been "received" 5 weeks after submission, and claims CANNOT HELP ME OR PROVIDE A CLAIM NUMBER? Then, let's talk about their phone system. Call the number on the back of your card. If your phone call doesn't fit into their "box" (i.e. you don't have a claim number, it doesn't recognize your birthday, there might be some reason why you don't have the information the automatic system wants hence why you're calling...), the automatic line says "It seems like you're having trouble. Please try again later. Goodbye." And hangs up.

When I finally get through by pretending to be a doctor, or magically hitting the right buttons, after 30 or 40 minutes of trying to get to a representative, the representative tells me there is no direct line to contact a representative... so I will just have to continue to get hung up on by the automatic system, or spend 30-40 minutes solving some kind of puzzle or pretending to be a doctor to get through to someone. It's awful. I ask to speak to a supervisor, and the rep hangs up on me. I'm absolutely disgusted with the customer service aspect of this company.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Optum should not be allowed to advise patients - they are incompetent and dangerous! They provided me with the wrong information about "in network" providers and wasted hours of my time having me reach out to providers personally only to get nowhere. Every customer service rep you speak to tells you a completely different story. After days of them putting me through wasted efforts I tried to file a complaint, and the recorded calls I had made and notes in their system about my inquiries suddenly ceased to exist! This is unethical. When I again tried to file a complaint they mailed me a letter saying "it was addressed" and if I wanted to follow up I could fax them or again call them (and spend how many more hours on the phone). It's 2018: be a responsible company that is accessible to your patients (especially outside of typical hours - not everyone can call during the day if they are working). Provide an email address!

This company takes advantage of the patient & does not fulfill requests, even when they have already delayed patient needs. When I told them I was out of medication due to their incompetence (after 2 weeks of not getting the provider info I needed), they simply told me to go to the emergency room (where, by the way, this medication is unavailable). Offhandedly telling a patient to go to the ER without having an understanding of their insurance coverage, or if the ER can even help them, is completely unacceptable! I was also told by one of their employees during a phone call that $100 "isn't that much money to see a therapist." She was trying to advise me to see someone out of network, as Optum had not addressed my issue after 3 weeks. Instead of helping with a solution, she told me to pay out of pocket and made assumptions about my financial status.

The people I spoke to in the behavioral health department in September 2018 were Tony (who also goes by Anthem - be careful of him, he tells complete lies regarding their process & will delete your records in their system), Erica, and Marjorie. I also received a letter from grievance counselor Susan ** which was completely unhelpful; she could not be bothered to reach out to me via a phone call.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

United Health Care is by far the worst. Went to the dr on 9/4/2018 and I had insurance the day of my appointment (lost my insurance on the last day of month, 9/30/2018), even tripled checked with United Health Care the day of and the dr office. Everyone said I was good to go. Even told me, "If your employer terminated you you still have 30 days of insurance," a month later I get a huge bill from dr. When I called the dr he advised me to call insurance so I did. I asked if there was record of my call a month before and she said yes, I asked what was said and she said that I called to make sure I had insurance the day of and she had no record of what the representative said to me so I asked to speak to someone higher.

After being on hold she said, "Oh yes. I see now where they told you yes you are covered but let me get you to talk to my supervisor" so I spoke to someone else that said, "I don’t know why the rep told you this, it only applies to the state of Texas." I told him I was indeed from Texas and he said, "Hmm that it should apply up. You let me find out". Puts me on hold and comes back and says, "No it’s not covered whoever here lied and you're still responsible for that bill even though we told you you would be covered." So now I’m stuck with a bill after I was told I would be covered and it only applies to my state and now someone else at the company is a liar. On top of that I was on hold for the 1 hour and 22 mins for NOTHING.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

The official Medicare & You handbook says (bottom of page 42) that Medicare will help pay for medical equipment covered by Medicare. Of course, you have a co-pay and deductible. I called AARP United Health Care to find out if a particular piece of exercise equipment prescribed by my cardiologist is covered. I was told "Yes." A couple days later I called again to see if I had to buy a brand new one from a medical equipment business or if I could buy a slightly-used one from a private party. I was told that it was not on "the list" and it would not be covered at all. I asked if I could get a copy of "the list." I was told "No." I asked if my cardiologist could get a copy of "the list." I was told "No."

I pointed out that being denied access to "the list" causes me, my doctor and United Health Care personnel a lot of wasted time and asked if I could lodge a formal complaint. I have been on hold for most of the hour and sixteen minutes call. She finally came back and said they would mail me a copy and I should get it in seven to ten working days. I hope so. They don't want to let you or your doctor know what is covered.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

THE ABSOLUTE WORST, DO NOT BUY THEIR BAD INSURANCE. First, super expensive premiums. Second, denied payment of medically necessary tests (MRI) that were ordered by Dr. - this was not an elective test. Third, they have an arbitrary and mysterious system for applying your out of pocket cost to the deductible, which is never explained. Out of $3,000 I had to pay out of pocket, only $500 was "allowed" and applied to my 3,000 deductible. This is really the worst thing since it makes this company a fraud, actually scamming us. Under their scam system, no one will ever reach their deductible or out of pocket maximum, and they will NEVER pay your health costs. Which is what happened to me. We have been bleeding money since we've been on United Health Care, and we can't wait to get rid of them. Horrible.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

It seems that everything requires a prior authorization. You show up at a scheduled appointment at the hospital and are sent home because a prior authorization is required. They drag their feet saying the prior authorization takes 15 days. Then they want to switch you over to something else that doesn't make sense instead of what the doctor is recommending. Instead of receiving care for your medical condition you end up in an endless maze of bureaucracy.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I have United Health Care coverage through my employer and every time I need to use insurance, it’s such a headache. When I moved here from Canada, I had to get a new prescription for birth control - and then United suddenly required that this go through their OptumRx dispensary instead of letting me use the drugstore. Once my Rx expires, I had to go through the process of getting my doctor to fax them my updated Rx, but in the meantime, I couldn’t get ahold of my doctor to do this for weeks. Whatever, I finally get my pills and am okay for a year. Rx expires, and I go back to doctor for a new prescription to give to United/OptumRx. But suddenly they’re not covering this type of birth control because of “an ingredient” without any other information.

Keep in mind, I’ve already paid for my visit to the doctor for a useless prescription. So I’m trying to contact her to write me a new one and surprise, she’s unreachable for both me and the drug dispensary. I actually gave up after months of this because I have a busy job and can’t be bothered to find a new doctor, so I haven’t been on the pill for months, having to deal with a crapload of post-pill issues. Thank you United for making simple things so difficult! I can’t WAIT until I can move back to Canada where I don’t have to deal with this garbage. I can only imagine what people with real illnesses have to go through with your awful excuse for a company that clearly does NOT have the best interests of the paying members in mind.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

For nearly a year I have been unable to look up providers of any type on the UnitedHealthCare website. I log in & within seconds I get logged out. I've reported this problem many times and get nowhere. This is unacceptable. All I'm trying to do is a normal query any website is able to handle. It is ridiculous this has not been fixed for all these months. I will not recommend United Healthcare to anyone based on this simple unresolved issue. I call to report the problem and am asked what I want done about it. Simple. I want it fixed.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

United Health Care does everything they can not to cover procedures. They will claim the doctor's office submitted the wrong codes or that billing units were incorrect, anything to stick you with the bill. Avoid this health insurance company. They are the worst!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Our doctor ordered home health services. I called United Health Care to have them refer me to their recommended provider of home health aides covered under the home health services option. They referred me to their preferred provider in my area. We received the services. When the bill came, United Health Care declined to pay them. It's to the point where patients are calling United Health Care for pre-approval and claims still gets declined. Look at United Health Care's stock price. It's up over 100 percent in the last twelve months. This insurer is making money off of sick people by declining services that they are covered for. They are in the sickness for profit business. I'm sure that there will be litigation in the future, resulting in long term prison sentences for executives for fraud and money laundering.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

It is simply outrageous that regulators have done nothing to reprimand this firm. They deliberately have their customer service rep make you circle around yourself for years until you give up. The put you on hold for an hour at a time, hang up, and when they finally admit they have no in network providers because half of the list is bad phone #'s and the other half are full or have a specialization that doesn't apply to your condition. When you insist on gap exception, years have passed and 99% of population gives up and pays out of pocket. This is a strategy that I have seen repeatedly. Reporting them will likely yield you nothing because regulators have befriended this big powerful company. They look the other way and pretend they don't see any of this. The delaying and denying while they pocket billions. Where is justice?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Got sick in Italy. When I returned home, I called UHC to get directions for filing a claim. They sent link to form. Filled out form and waited 30 days. Got letter from WellMed rejecting the form. Called UHC and they said Advantage Plans in my area of Florida were given to WellMed and they had no knowledge of the claim and there was no online access to EOB's or claims status. They gave me WellMed's number. WellMed refused to speak to me but allowed me on a conference call while UHC rep spoke to WellMed on my behalf. This is a total fingerpointing time delay. UHC has no idea what WellMed is doing even they you signed up for UHC plan and they gave it to WellMed. WellMed has no online support - only can wait a long time for each paper mail correspondence. Changing insurers at renewal time. UHC has ruined their Advantage Plan support.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I wonder why in 2018 this company can not send you information online to an e-mail if you wish. Or if you make payments send the payment to your e-mail. I have had all of my mail gone through open or whatever living in an apartment complex. I requested everything online but it seems they don't have the capability to do so. After I moved in one week I got 8 mailings of the identical same thing in each one. Then the following week 6 more. Then we wonder why are healthcare cost are so high or information is stole. Then they call and try asking a hundred questions so you can identify yourself. But how do we know who they are. My caller I.D. never shows UHC or are the numbers ever the same. I worked and paid taxes so my Medicare is not an entitlement. It was something I was made to pay and I still pay. This company should get with the present and us who prefer everything done in e-mails or billing should be done.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

With open-enrollment upon us, I urge you to stay away from United Healthcare/OptumRx. UHC does not care about the well-being of their members. They only care about their profit margin. UHC has decided to make one of my medications "non-formulary". What specifically does that mean? It means UHC employs a committee of people at their corporate headquarters who determines which medications your particular plan will cover and at which tier level. Tiers can go as high 6 levels. The higher the tier level, the higher your copay will be. This is true of any medication the committee chooses, even generics.

In my case I have a debilitating auto-immune disease. My physician has prescribed the necessary medication to treat my condition, yet when I went to the pharmacy, I was informed my copay will be $80 each month because UHC/OptumRx deemed it "non-formulary". This medication is not rare, nor expensive. There is no reason to be charging me this much. There is no reason this medication can't be lowered to a tier-1 level which means my copay would be $4.80 month.

After making several calls to UHC's member service department and after several requests, I was finally given the phone number to the Appeals Dept. UHC keeps the Appeals Dept phone number a closely guarded secret. I'd like to share that phone number with you now. The Appeals Dept phone number is 800-291-2634. You can ask for Kathy **, RN. Please be aware that only an automated system will answer your call and you have to leave a message. When they call you back, the direct phone number of Kathy **, RN or her manager, Mark will blocked out so you can't see their direct phone number. They do this because they are snakes and don't mind making it very difficult for suffering members/patients to get their medication.

A second phone number and contact person at UHC's Appeals Dept is 952-202-5635. Apparently this is the phone number for Linda **, Appeals Supervisor. Be advised, I've left messages but no one has bothered to call back yet. At this time, I will be contacting the Department of Managed Health Care for my state (California) to file a formal complaint against the greedy company that is UHC/OptumRx. If anyone else has had a similar experience, here is the contact info: www.dmhc.ca.gov or 888-466-2219. I'll also be contacting California's Attorney General to file a complaint against this fraudulent company. United Healthcare/OptumRx = CORPORATE GREED. BEWARE - AVOID UNITED HEALTHCARE.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I believe I have a urinary tract infection and need to find a clinic, today. I go to the UMR website to find a provider. I get to a page which shows a list of Network Medical Groups. Top of the list is "Affinity Medical Group" with a location nowhere near where I am, but there is a link which says "View Additional Locations (85)" which I would think would give me the locations, preferably on a map, so I can find one near where I am, at work. I click on the link, and get a list of 160 phone numbers, WITHOUT A LOCATION. At the top of the page it states "160 Locations" but there are no locations, just a list of phone numbers. I work in IT. Providing this type of information is easy. The only way it can be this difficult is if it is intentionally made to be difficult. United Health Care BLOWS!!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I looked into the Golden Rule through United Healthcare (after the sticker shock on a regular health care plan for a family) and purchased a plan for around 365 a month. Ultimately I got a physical and my mammogram. The policy did not cover my daughter’s physical because it had to be set for earlier than 6 months into the policy. The only other thing I had on this plan was my wellness visit. Which includes the doctor's visit, lab work and results, and the mammogram. The data page includes outpatient lab and x-Ray and outpatient diagnostic imaging services, but don’t be fooled by the wording.

On the bottom very end of the second data page is wellness. All of which this golden rule will pay $100 for. So you are on the hook for basically everything. You are not going to be covered for anything just about on this policy so don’t waste your money. I am out of pocket for over 2500 for the plan and they pay 100 bucks. I then pay over $500 for the discounted remainder to the places where the work was done. So bottom line is one would do much better going elsewhere as they cover nothing.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

You cannot get a live person on the phone and they take A WEEK to PRE APPROVE old school antibiotics, antivirals and antifungals like **. I have almost died several times from high fevers, convulsions and seizures due to their delays in pre approving old school, routine medications. If you value your life choose any other company rather than United Health Care.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I wanted to get a flu shot. I went to Giant Pharmacy and they said it was $40 because my insurance did not cover it. They suggested I go to CVS because they bill UHC differently. CVS said I needed a separate vaccination insurance card or I had to get a pre-authorization. Why does UHC make it so difficult to get preventative healthcare... something as common as the flu shot! I went to the UHC website to find info about this and I could not even get to the page where you enter your userID and password. I only got the Pre-Welcome page and no links to log-on.

My therapist submitted my claims 4 times and it kept getting rejected but UHC did not provide a reason. It was only after she spoke to her counterpart that she learned she had to use a different code. Then UHC would only cover 30 minutes when sessions have always been 1 hour. Bottom line... UHC has set barriers in place couched as policy to prevent members from receiving their full covered benefits.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I got this insurance last year and when I needed hearing aids due to hereditary hearing loss, UHC fought my audiologist tooth and nail because they didn't want to pay for them. This is medically necessary but they did not want to pay for them. My audiologist stood strong and they grudgingly paid for the hearing aids this past March. Fast forward to now and I have a filling on my front damned tooth that has come loose. It is chipping away (my tooth) more each day and I have appealed to have a root canal and crown done for this tooth but they will not approve it. Deems it not medically necessary despite me telling them I am having pain and sensitivity issues with the tooth.

I am unemployed and trying to get disability for the hearing loss, so I don't have money to pay for this tooth out of pocket. I can't talk to people because of the tooth, I can't smile at people because of the tooth not to mention IT HURTS. I will never, ever again in my life deal with this. My dentist told me that their practice is to deny every single root canal, always, no matter how bad it is to the patient. I have never seen an insurance company go so much out of the way to avoid paying! You may as well have nothing for all the good it does.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

After two years of service they denied a claim saying I have a secondary insurance, which I do not. They said they would change that in my file and reprocess the claim. Now it has been over sixty days and they have not reprocessed it. They will not call me back or update me on the status.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Both my wife and I work for the same school district. We have insurance through the school district with UMR. Both plans are the same. A deduction for health insurance would come out of her paycheck on a monthly basis and a deduction for health insurance would come out of my paycheck on a monthly basis for me and our kids. Due to poor health, I retired from teaching this summer so the health insurance for me and our kids were transferred to my wife's insurance. I had met my deductibles for the year. But now that my health insurance has been transferred to my wife's health insurance, United Health Care wiped my deductibles clean and now I have to start over at zero. Still very sick and I can't afford to go to the doctor. United Health Care, never again. We're going back to Kaiser.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Subject: Fraudulent charges by Sarasota Medical Center’s (SMC) Dr. Claude ** Posted By Dana **, Office Mgr. (941)927-1234. Denied emergency medical attention on 1/23/2018 during a scheduled emergency appointment until I paid a fraudulent $125 charge from 12/2016 for physical therapy (PT) that I and other SMC patients of Dr. Mason, PCP, were told, at the time, was free since he was our as SMC was starting a new PT unit with inexperience young counselors. SMC’s inexperienced staff, resulted in my cancelling the PT appointments as I could do better on my own or at my gym and did not need to travel to the PT unit’s location. Dana ** 18 months later tried to get Florida Blue to pay for the services and was denied. Ms ** then decided to ambush patients when they appeared for scheduled appointments without any prior notice, in my case 18 months later.

Denied any explanation for charges. Ms ** said I had to submit a request for reimbursement, which was never responded to. I had subsequently submitted portal, voice mail, letter of 7/26/2018 complaints, which were apparently intercepted by Ms Pierce and never responded to by Dr **. Also denied scheduled medical attention on 2/5/2018 and 7/12/2018 until I paid an additional $62.50 and $25, respectively based on additional charges from 12/23/2016.

SMC’s Dr ** and Ms ** have wasted a considerable amount of my time by avoiding any response from my attempts to get an understanding of their rational. Currently SMC owes me $150 for fraudulent charges. Note, SMC’s Billings lack any specificity as to what the charges were for. Obviously, I did not get four sessions on same date. I have also filed fraud charges with United Healthcare (Member ID # **). Called United last Friday (9/7), they were reviewing my case and have never gotten back with me.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Receive care from a pain clinic, and last visit gave me an injected muscle relaxant and pain medication for the muscle that seized in my neck. This is related to the 3 level cervical fusion performed 3 years ago. One level did not heal and is further complicated by the screw that is broken. However, the doctors and I use this term loosely, on UHC medical review board have determined this was medically unnecessary, and payment was denied. All was performed during routine office visit in office. Was the medical review board there? Now it is up to me to get my doctor to call UHC and explain why these are necessary.

Unfortunately, he may or may not decide to do this, as what the hell, they can collect from me or insurance, but they will collect. Sadly, we pay for coverage, but we are at their mercy that they pay the bills. Not sueable, as they are not denying the treatment, they are denying the payment. If you have issues with claims being denied, please contact your state's insurance commissioner and file a complaint. Provide copy of policy, medical records and all EOBs. This also puts a mark on their company and enough marks will make it so they cannot sell that type of insurance coverage in that state anymore.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I had surgery a month ago, I am unable to walk and need help taking care of myself in my home. The Dr. handed in all the paperwork necessary for me to get the services. The Insurance company keeps refusing to approve, claiming it can take up to 20 day to approve. I NEED HELP NOW. I CANNOT TAKE CARE OF MYSELF... They do NOT WANT TO PAY SO THEY KEEP PUTTING IT OFF UNTIL I DON'T NEED SERVICES. IF I get hurt because they are not giving me the services I need to be safe they will be sued.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I recently contacted UHC to see which labs are within their plan and they gave me the name LabCorp and 4 phone numbers, every number I called had been disconnected and when I went online it said out of business. I even drove to one of the locations and it had been changed to a LabCare out of plan. I got frustrated and had my blood work done at LabCare. I even did a search on their site and those locations were only ones on there. When I returned to work I found out there is a LabCorp in Akron general hospital from a coworker and this was not mentioned on the website or by my the customer service rep. Now I am probably going to be stuck with the entire lab bill or half of it at least. So frustrated with UNITED HEALTH CARE!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

UHC is micro-managing my healthcare and causing me and my providers to spend countless hours completing forms and jumping through hoops for services that I pay for, and in the end denying some charges. Days without response; long holds; outright lying, one provider told me. UHC denied an MRI of my neck, when I have years of documented neck conditions and am a candidate for neck surgery. UHC has caused me so much stress and time spent fighting for what I pay for - they do the opposite of health care, they make you crazy with frustration and anger, causing high BP and stress.

In all my years I have never experienced or dealt with such a horrible insurance company. I pray for the day my company switches from them. I have been stuck with UHC for more than 1 year now and it has been the worst ever. I continually receive letters from Optimum, with some Dr. on paper behind a desk, saying what I don't need. How do they know? My providers of 21 years know what I need! The time spent by me and my providers is not cost effective - it is no wonder they want to drop UHC.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

UHC says I am covered for a yearly flu vaccine as is recommended by the CDC. I am told that I am 100% covered and yet they denied coverage twice based upon it being an exclusion to my plan. I made several calls between Optum and UHC who ping-ponged me between until I got UHC saying they did not cover it. I was told that it must be billed as medical and cannot be billed as a pharmacy claim and that the only formulation that they paid for is 'Fluzone 2018 .5ml Dose IM'. How does any of that make any sense?

I have NEVER heard of a reputable insurance company refusing to pay for a basic preventative yearly flu shot. This company is scammy... DO NOT TRUST in them as a company with your health care. They have refused all of my claims thus far. They say they cover stuff but then refuse payment to the claims and you the consumer get stuck with the bill. I will be asking the insurance commissioner to look into this issue as I feel it is fraud and that they should not be allowed to do business in the US.

On Sept 6th, 2018, I attempted twice at two different locations to get my basic flu shot... WALMART pharmacy and Costco... Both big retailers well known. After rejection at WALMART, I called UHC and ask for details as to how to get this paid for... They told me it had to be billed medical not a pharmacy but that I did not need to be at a clinic? They gave me this number 800-797-9791 and said the pharmacy would need to call them to get the code to justify payment. Second attempt, Costco tried and was subsequently denied as well (and they followed the mandates given by the UHC rep).

The next morning I called that number and spoke to a rep who told me that they (Optum 800-979-9791) had nothing to do with this issue and that I needed to call UHC and resolve it. So I called UHC and spoke with another rep who said I am covered but that the vaccine is not covered. This is a deceptive practice. It is like saying you have money in the bank but you can't use it as you are barred. How is this even legally feasible? If it is just about the formulary that is understandable but they will refuse it even if I find a pharmacy who carries Fluzone rather than Afluria or whatever.

The plan says its covered to get a yearly flu vaccination...100%. But apparently, they won't pay for the vaccine even if you can get the specific formulation. I call bullcrap on this and say that it is a scammy behavior that should be shown to the public. Businesses like this should be discredited and disallowed from practice in the states. They have no problem taking my money but they won't help me cover anything. BAD COMPANY... And I am being told I am not the only party who has this complaint. I want to file a complaint with the insurance commissioner.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

As a primary care provider, it is often necessary for my office to obtain "pre-certification" which is prior approval required for outpatient procedures I have ordered for my patients. If this authorization is not obtained, the medical facility may not be reimbursed for the testing. Unfortunately, United Health Care recently forced my medical assistant to spend valuable office time repeatedly calling to request pre-certification for an outpatient procedure I recommended to the patient. My assistant repeatedly was placed on lengthy telephone holds and for 3 days was unable to obtain an answer. When she was refused a request for peer to peer discussion (conference between the insurance company's clinical director and me the provider), I finally had to inconvenience the patient by referring her to the emergency room to expedite the procedure.

Despite my request for a callback from the clinical director, no call was received. Instead, an approval was faxed to our office overnight without notification. This approval came the day the patient was sent to the ER. Even if this was an unintentional delay of response, it demonstrates a potential compromise in patient care related to delays in United Health Care's precertification process. Aside from the frustration experienced by my office, I would recommend patients research insurance company client satisfaction surveys before making a decision on which insurance company plan to choose from.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Just now I’ve never felt so frustrated dealing with a healthcare provider. Talked to them 4 times over past 4 hours because wrong information is given by their helpdesk every single time I talk to them and they made me travel to three different clinics for something as simple as a vaccine! Not sure what’s up with their staff but everyone provides different information and starts off with “I apologize for the previous person you were talking to...” If you want to save your time I suggest you verify the information they provide you before wasting your time visiting a provider.

United Health Care expert review by Joseph Burns

UnitedHealthCare is the largest single health care carrier in the United States. It currently covers approximately 70 million Americans and contributes large amounts of money to medical research every year.

• Lots of options: UnitedHealthCare provides a wide range of plan options for individuals, families and employers.

• Offers Medicaid plans: Low-income consumers may be able to get Medicaid insurance through UnitedHealthCare.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Seniors may be able to get their Medicare insurance through UnitedHealthcare’s Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Senior citizens, heads of families, employees

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

United Health Care Company Information