Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.68/5

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

United Health Care Reviews

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

My medicare is through United Health Care & the customer service is very good. Few days back, I received a penalty notice from united health care for prescription coverage. I was advised to contact SS & SS told me that no penalty for medicare b hence prescription should not have penalty. Medicare sent a note to united health care on my behalf and advised a time frame of 4 to 6 weeks to get it resolved. Interestingly, united health care case manager Loretta ** called me next day & assured me to resolve it asap. She called me today (third day) & informed me that the case is resolved in my favour. Is it not an awesome service? Thank you Loretta! Thank you united health care!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

I had called at least 6 other times in regard to a prescription being denied after being filled through this Insurance for almost 2 years. Unfortunately nobody I spoke to gave me accurate information. I tried one more time because I had to get this prescription filled and time was running out!! I got a customer representative named "Elizabeth" (she was from Ireland, I could tell by her accent). She stayed with me on the phone every step of the way. She took my number so she could call me back if we got disconnected!!! NO ONE HAS EVER DONE THAT BEFORE!!!!

She did a 3 way call to my pharmacy so we could all hear the same things being said and done. She put me on hold and made sure she got the job done! We did another 3 way call to my pharmacy to ensure it would work. She never said it's good call the pharmacy yourself and then have to call back when it didn't work like I had done the previous 6 times!! Take notice of Elizabeth, set yourself apart and do business like she did!! And your success will be a given. Because what Elizabeth did for me is a rarity which should be standard....Thank you Elizabeth you are inspiring!!!

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

This company is awesome. They go far and beyond to serve you. Rep. Ronald opened my account seen what I needed and even called my Dr. While I was on hold. Info was transferred and approval was done in minutes. I dont know his last name but RONALD was his first name. Very professional. Spoke clear with confidence takes care of business. Very helpful. I've been treated awesome by the employees that I've dealt with. 100% professional people. Being 60 years old I've had quite a few insurances before. United Health Care is by far the best hands down. Thank You very Much.

D. **
    Retired Senior Mastersargent

United States Airforce

Original review: June 7, 2019

I LOVE this insurance SO FAR. I have only used it within network providers and have had no issues with service provided. This includes, scheduling appointments, physical or billing. There are various types of insurance provided and I chose the one with vision and dental. The FREE plan is exactly the same with the exception of the above choices. For those additional services I pay a total of $21.20 which is automatically deducted from my social security check. I have NOT used these services to date. I have chosen the 90 day prescription option, which is cheaper than having my scripts filled locally. The doctor DOES call in a month of local amount of meds while the company fills and mails my medicine to me. Cost of the service is NOTHING! I hope this information is helpful.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I was forced to enroll in a health care plan in order to obtain Medicare Part D due to late enrollment penalty. I had not signed up upon retirement as I did not have any prescription meds. I'm trying to obtain coverage for ** ophthalmic solution which is nearly $500/month without insurance. With insurance there's copay plus first month totaling $425 for Tier 4 prescription. I've been trying to get it reclassified to a lower tier and affordable copay as I'm on Social Security. Due to a small Teachers Retirement payment, I'm not poor enough to qualify for payment assistance. This option provided the best option for the prescription (not the most affordable).

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

To all Employers who are considering United Health Care, please do not subject your employees to them. My company switched to them in October of 2019. At that time they said they required pre-authorization for a medication I have been on for over 10 years. They of course denied coverage. After three months of appeals, and many hours of work by my physician for which she was not compensated, they have given me a final denial. Please bear in mind, this is a very necessary medication due to a chronic medical condition with my lungs. I have been paying over two hundred dollars per month myself, plus my absolutely worthless insurance premiums. I have been with my Employer for many years, and we have had three other insurance companies before and this medication has NEVER BEEN DENIED. They should be ashamed of the way customers are taken care of.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

I’m with providers office and I haven’t been able to get anyone on the line in almost 2 weeks to verify eligibility. Their hold times are over an hour and when they do answer, they just say they’re having system issues and cannot answer calls. The website is also not working. It’s beyond frustrating. I even tried calling a higher line for support, no luck. They just say they cannot help.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

This company will take your money but will fail to provide the care that you need. Will approve a stress test for my heart but will not approve the second part of the test because THEY don’t feel I need it!! Hello chest pains seems like a good reason. Would Definitely try and find a different provider as these guys are only concerned about money.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

I absolutely LOVE UHC! I call their customer service line for many patients. Being in the medical field it is important to be prompt for our patients' health. This is the best insurance ever! Hands down! They always answer my questions and concerns. They are very efficient and great customer service. I honestly wish all insurance customer service representatives were like UHC. They have everything organized, coordinated and situated. They always know where to send you and exactly how to answer your questions. UHC you are amazing and the BEST!!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2020

I haven’t decided if it would better to be attacked by killer bees or have this parasite while being under the UHC Medical umbrella. I had them for almost a year and the best part is when United Healthcare UHC, knows you’re sick, you’ve been to doctors, the CDC, infectious disease specialist and in the 9th hour they deny medication that costs $29 in other countries but $1700 here. Now that’s some dirty BS. UHC, worst coverage, excuses and people ever. They’d stand there and watch you die if they knew it would save some cash and oh yeah let’s not forget their million dollar cash year end bonus. I’ll betcha if one of their children had this they’d be getting the good meds the same day. Discrimination at its finest. I swear people stay away from this company. You just stay sick and pay them a monthly premium for being sick. “Livin the Dream.”

JimmyO

Parasites are no joke.

United Health Care expert review by Joseph Burns

UnitedHealthCare is the largest single health care carrier in the United States. It currently covers approximately 70 million Americans and contributes large amounts of money to medical research every year.

• Lots of options: UnitedHealthCare provides a wide range of plan options for individuals, families and employers.

• Offers Medicaid plans: Low-income consumers may be able to get Medicaid insurance through UnitedHealthCare.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Seniors may be able to get their Medicare insurance through UnitedHealthcare’s Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Senior citizens, heads of families, employees

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

United Health Care Company Information