4.0/5 (1241 ratings)
Shop Now  on ShortTermHealthInsurance.com
Call Center Open
Shop Now on ShortTermHealthInsurance.com

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About United Health Care

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

United Health Care Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

Have had this insurance for years and now when I need the catheterization they are stalling. Case was marked URGENT and it’s been 14 days of stalling, miscommunication, and confusion on United’s part. Customer service tells me computers are not updating. Called again and said nothing was submitted. Doc said did submit. Third call took 56 minutes!! And was told now they want more info and a peer to peer call (as if my doc office has nothing to do but talk with them when they have 50 other patients to schedule.) Called again was told didn’t need ANY authorization due to cardiac issue. Still getting run around. When their staff forgot to put their phone on mute, I heard them say “This is why people are pissed at us. WE don’t even know what we are doing”. POOR Recommendation.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

I had a stroke in 2017, May. It took the right side out at 75% leaving me with left side foot drop and left arm negotiation problems. Recently I have been able to, with a walker, get up and down steps, mow my grass with a zero turn mower and get back to the woodworking shop. I had to explain to UHC via their support line why we thought Botox Shots would help, they finally said they would help pay for it. I was thankful for that help. Unfortunately it didn't help long term. It is a must to push yourself and trust yourself that it can be done. I don't know what I would do without UHC as they have helped me with other things also. Thanks for listening. Insurance under any circumstances is a must. Fortunately I am retired.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

Medicare takes a big bite out of my income whether I choose UHC or not. The customer service even during Covid era, has been great, where other companies are extremely lacking. They haven't been able to lower my co-payments for specialist visits, but they do try to encourage me to maintain better health with $ quota of free OTC merchandise as well as bonuses for annual physicals and flu shots. I believe this company has been very customer focused when others have not.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

High deductible plans have created the atmosphere that we feared the most. More cost sharing is not what the people wanted. We wanted more freedom to decide what health services we wanted and our physicians to decide what is needed. Some procedure are arbitrarily denied based on algorithms that were created based on conditions that don't necessarily apply for everyone. The human body is complex and should not be looked at as a one size fits all model

Original review: Nov. 28, 2022

I was requesting for my new prescription and was always declined. Made several call to Angela for 3x about their request of prior authorization and so I need to call my physician many times and immediately they took the action of providing prior authorization thru the number of their FAX machine.. But Optum Rx keep saying non was receive for 3x of follow-up. I made another call this time at 1514 11/28/22 to ** (who said it's illegal for him to give his last name). He said the same thing again. That they need a prior authorization. I was also billed for 3 items when in fact I only received 2 items.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2022

I have had a very bad experience with this company regarding a disputed claim and the unwanted barriers this company has created to solving the problem. My disabled 89 year old mother is on UHC insurance and we have a disputed claim involving nursing home care. I pay nearly all of my mother's medical bills so this affects me enormously.

During early October of 2022 Mother suffered a fall and injured her hip. She was hospitalized for 4 days, then discharged to a nursing home. While at the nursing home she contracted an illness that caused her to vomit. She was hospitalized again and diagnosed with COVID. She stayed at the hospital for 3 days and was released back to the nursing home for a period of time.

I was lied to and misled regarding the nursing home coverage. A totally unexpected bill for 8 days of private-pay nursing home care arrived in the mail. The bill was for over $1100. I was previously told that the 20-day clock for nursing home care restarts when there is re-hospitalization for another condition not related to the original medical problem. This is what the government Medicare office says is true. However the insurance company processed it differently and refused to apply the reset of time.

I ran into very thorny problems attempting to contact UHC regarding this problem. I soon found that I could only talk to sales people who are trying to sell new policies. They transfer you to the claims department. Then you get a recording saying that there is no one available for you to talk to in the claims department. You have to go online to contact the claims department. You go online and they route back to the same worthless customer service number you just called and to Facebook and Twitter. What good is Twitter? If you don't have a Facebook account you can't contact them. It boggles the mind why they won't let you contact them from your Gmail account regarding such problems when they also won't let you talk to anyone in the claims department via telephone.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2022

We've had UHC AARP Medicare Rx and Medicare Supplement plans since 2015. I recently tried to update my autopay checking account because of fraudulent activity affecting my old account. Nightmare!! UHC's website does not open on my PC, so I spent 35 minutes on the phone with an agent updating Part D Rx autopay. There is absolutely no excuse for this level of time commitment just to change an account number! I received a confirmation and payment was processed by my bank.

Since each type of account requires interacting with a separate department, I had to contact UHC again to change the account on my Part B Supplement. After a 24-hour sanity break, I called again and spent another 30 minutes on the phone with the separate Supplement Part B plan agent to update my checking account number for that autopay. I have a confirmation number, but the bank has not shown any request for payment. I have no idea where the transaction is sitting. I still have to call the Reimbursement department to update my account for deposits of my employer's reimbursement funds. And I need to try again to get technical support for the website issues. I simply cannot face a follow up call plus another 2 phone calls with them!! My guess is that their sales department is quick and efficient in answering phone calls, but God help you if you need actual customer support. I don't know how a company can be so insensitive to customer needs.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

I completed an application for a United Healthcare Supplement Plan G on 7/27/2022. I was losing my employee health insurance benefits on 8/31/2022. My application was accepted and I was issued a Membership Effective 9/1/22. I went to my doctor for a routine checkup on 9/26/22 and blood work on 9/16/22.

I was told that I did not have proper insurance at my doctor's visit. The blood work was not questioned. I received a bill of $306.02 from my doctor and $564.78 for the blood work. In checking why I was billed it was explained by Medicare that Part B was never arraigned for by anyone. They also said the application should have been denied. When I contacted United Healthcare they apologized and terminated the policy. I then called Medicare to sign up for Part B effective 11/01/2022.

When I called another insurance company to add an advantage plan they cannot make it effective until 01/01/2023 because technically I did not have insurance for 60 days. Yet I had a policy and was paying a premium. United Healthcare should never approved the policy, which so far has costs me $870.80 to date. This does not include the premium. Thank You, Vincent

Original review: Nov. 8, 2022

I have Medi Cal and Medicare and was trying to enroll with UHC and they told me I could keep my same Dr. then when they called me to verify my enrollment they had assigned me a Primary Care Dr, I'd never heard of, I told them their representative had told me I could keep my same Dr, and they said I couldn't so I immediately disenrolled, they kept me on hold for 48 minutes... What a pain. Hopefully no one else gets caught up in their lies.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

This insurance SUCKS….Read the other reviews….UH is complete trash….Customer service is garbage …Good luck getting anything covered…Tried to use when I needed it most. Everything was denied ….This insurance is perfect if you just want to waste your money and never ever get sick!!!! Otherwise run away from this disgusting fake insurance company…

United Health Care author review by Joseph Burns

UnitedHealthCare is the largest single health care carrier in the United States. It currently covers approximately 70 million Americans and contributes large amounts of money to medical research every year.

• Lots of options: UnitedHealthCare provides a wide range of plan options for individuals, families and employers.

• Offers Medicaid plans: Low-income consumers may be able to get Medicaid insurance through UnitedHealthCare.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Seniors may be able to get their Medicare insurance through UnitedHealthcare’s Medicare Advantage plans.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Advisor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

United Health Care Company Information