Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
3.13/5

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

1609 United Health Care Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 7, 2019

I LOVE this insurance SO FAR. I have only used it within network providers and have had no issues with service provided. This includes, scheduling appointments, physical or billing. There are various types of insurance provided and I chose the one with vision and dental. The FREE plan is exactly the same with the exception of the above choices. For those additional services I pay a total of $21.20 which is automatically deducted from my social security check. I have NOT used these services to date. I have chosen the 90 day prescription option, which is cheaper than having my scripts filled locally. The doctor DOES call in a month of local amount of meds while the company fills and mails my medicine to me. Cost of the service is NOTHING! I hope this information is helpful.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Overall they are pretty good - I haven't noticed many services that I have had (which are many) to be declined but I haven't received my last statement showing some very difficult situations. There are way too many things that you have to have exceptions done and 9/10 you are denied mostly with medications, And of course the cost of the medication is exorbitant. Once I get in the donut hole, I will have to go off the medication as $400 a month for a disabled 64 y.o. on SSDI is certainly something that I can't afford,

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: May 9, 2019

I'm completely satisfied with this review.

Original review: April 13, 2019

United Health Care has provided my wife and I some of the very best healthcare coverage we've ever experienced. We were first introduced to United through the AARP, who recommends this company, and we would also highly recommend them as well! We have NEVER been refused care/coverage for any illness or surgery that either one has had! United Health Care even provided me a home health aide when I was discharged from a hospital after a 3 week stay. We BOTH highly recommend United Health Care!

Original review: April 10, 2019

I was forced to enroll in a health care plan in order to obtain Medicare Part D due to late enrollment penalty. I had not signed up upon retirement as I did not have any prescription meds. I'm trying to obtain coverage for ** ophthalmic solution which is nearly $500/month without insurance. With insurance there's copay plus first month totaling $425 for Tier 4 prescription. I've been trying to get it reclassified to a lower tier and affordable copay as I'm on Social Security. Due to a small Teachers Retirement payment, I'm not poor enough to qualify for payment assistance. This option provided the best option for the prescription (not the most affordable).

Original review: April 3, 2019

Fortunately, I have not had to contact customer service much. I can only comment on the RX portion which has GREATLY improved. When I first joined and had a need to call them I would be on hold FOREVER. Over an hour. And then they never had an answer. RX is 100% better now although website could be improved for easier use. Too confusing sometimes trying to determine how many refills you have and when looking up a drug price it never works. Not once. Communication regarding orders via text is a great feature.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

Dr failed submit documentation ♿. He approved need min 365 days. Complained no ♿ after waiting a month. When complained Dr abruptly discontinued medication without weaning DEADLY WITHDRAWS. 7 months later and still NO ♿ PERMANENT. Deformation may need amputating digits (fingers toes). Medicare fraud covered up by United Health Care. UHC not accountable **. Grace of God I did not die.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I helped my parents choose United Healthcare for their Medicare supplement. My dad passed away and the premium was cancelled with much work on my part. My mom passed recently and they will NOT refund the premium! And, the premium was taken from her checking account 6 weeks after her death and I had called to report her death two days after it happened. I'm not sure if they are just that unscrupulous or if everyone is nowadays. We went through her agent, provided all the information such as name, address, social security number and death certificate. The woman I spoke with at United Healthcare could not have been colder and ruder and I've worked with the public for many years. I would NEVER get a policy with them and will be happy to spread the word.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

UHC SUCKS, take forever to approve claims due to wrongful coding. Sucks, took 3 months to get my payment for a free preventative exam cleared. Dental sucks, denies a repair because dentist didn't send a FULL MOUTH x-ray, just the tooth damaged. I am dropping this piece of crap insurance for sure!!!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I am new to United. I called to get information about my plan, I spoke with an Alex in dental customer care. He was very condescending, more so an **. United need to train their employees on how to talk to Customers, which is basic skills. On the other hand maybe hire people who wants to be there. I am very displeased. I will be leaving the company pretty soon. This was just the icing on the cake. Thank you to everyone who took my call today, you guys who transferred me to someone in different departments. Who had no idea who I was, and what I needed. I truly hope you guys learn how to communicate better before it too late.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I picked this insurance through my employer so I could go to the same clinics I had been going to for years with my previous insurance. The day before I was going for a check up the insurance company dropped the clinic/provider I was going to go to. UHC sent me a new provider and they were in a town 20 miles away. The customer service people were not familiar with my area so they were not helpful in referring me to a new provider. Once I finally found one I went to a yearly check up. My provider found a lump in my breast so they sent me for a mammogram. Long story short, I ended up having a very painful breast biopsy. I talked to UHC before my appointment and was on the phone with them for 45 minutes to make sure I would be covered for the appointment. Guess what. They denied my claim.

I have called them twice and all the customer service people said yes that should be covered, but nobody can reverse the charge. They covered the hospital I had to get the biopsy done at but did not cover the doctors doing the biopsy. Now I'm on the hook for 6k in bills, and I have medical insurance and they told me to go to this hospital. I have spent countless hours on the phone with them. DO NOT EVER GET THIS INSURANCE. I have had several nurses that were helping me navigate this insanity, tell me that this insurance is known for doing this. They said "I hate this insurance, it's the worst". Wish I would have known that before I picked them. Needless to say I WILL be switching during open enrollment. I will continue to fight this as well.

United Health Care expert review by Joseph Burns

UnitedHealthCare is the largest single health care carrier in the United States. It currently covers approximately 70 million Americans and contributes large amounts of money to medical research every year.

• Lots of options: UnitedHealthCare provides a wide range of plan options for individuals, families and employers.

• Offers Medicaid plans: Low-income consumers may be able to get Medicaid insurance through UnitedHealthCare.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Seniors may be able to get their Medicare insurance through UnitedHealthcare’s Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Senior citizens, heads of families, employees

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

United Health Care Company Information