1.5/5 (57 ratings)
Shop Now  on ShortTermHealthInsurance.com
Call Now Toll Free
Shop Now on ShortTermHealthInsurance.com

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About United Health Care

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

United Health Care Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

Have had this insurance for years and now when I need the catheterization they are stalling. Case was marked URGENT and it’s been 14 days of stalling, miscommunication, and confusion on United’s part. Customer service tells me computers are not updating. Called again and said nothing was submitted. Doc said did submit. Third call took 56 minutes!! And was told now they want more info and a peer to peer call (as if my doc office has nothing to do but talk with them when they have 50 other patients to schedule.) Called again was told didn’t need ANY authorization due to cardiac issue. Still getting run around. When their staff forgot to put their phone on mute, I heard them say “This is why people are pissed at us. WE don’t even know what we are doing”. POOR Recommendation.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

I had a stroke in 2017, May. It took the right side out at 75% leaving me with left side foot drop and left arm negotiation problems. Recently I have been able to, with a walker, get up and down steps, mow my grass with a zero turn mower and get back to the woodworking shop. I had to explain to UHC via their support line why we thought Botox Shots would help, they finally said they would help pay for it. I was thankful for that help. Unfortunately it didn't help long term. It is a must to push yourself and trust yourself that it can be done. I don't know what I would do without UHC as they have helped me with other things also. Thanks for listening. Insurance under any circumstances is a must. Fortunately I am retired.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

Medicare takes a big bite out of my income whether I choose UHC or not. The customer service even during Covid era, has been great, where other companies are extremely lacking. They haven't been able to lower my co-payments for specialist visits, but they do try to encourage me to maintain better health with $ quota of free OTC merchandise as well as bonuses for annual physicals and flu shots. I believe this company has been very customer focused when others have not.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

High deductible plans have created the atmosphere that we feared the most. More cost sharing is not what the people wanted. We wanted more freedom to decide what health services we wanted and our physicians to decide what is needed. Some procedure are arbitrarily denied based on algorithms that were created based on conditions that don't necessarily apply for everyone. The human body is complex and should not be looked at as a one size fits all model

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

So, I am 74 years old, retired with a pension from the Teachers Retirement System of Texas (TRS). I retired in 2002 and at that time TRS provided deal, vision and health insurance in different tiers of care. The higher the level you chose the more the premium cost. Three years into retirement and the dental and vision had gone away and the premiums for health care were more than I could afford. As soon as I was eligible for Medicare, I opted out of TRS and went with United Health Care the AARP program. Wow, what a difference. Health care, prescription drugs, dental and vision coverage all at a cost I could afford. All was well until I hit 73 years of age, now here I sit after three strokes and a heart attack. Still covered by the same policy.

Yes I have had to pay my share but I am able to do that thanks to my retirement and supplemental coverage by the Veterans Administration, Army Veteran 68-69, and the premiums have not gone up. If I have a question, or I think a doctor is gouging me, I call United Health Care and they take care of the problem. They are really more than my insurance provider, they are my advocate for my health care needs. I don't even think about my health insurance anymore. I know it is covered.

Original review: June 23, 2022

After having a stroke and being in the hospital, I contacted customer service to inquire about my coverages. I received 3 different answers to the same coverage questions by 3 different customer reps. After leaving the hospital with a heart monitor I called again to check my coverages for the unit. I was told by the same rep the unit was covered, then told it was not covered and then was told I was covered in the same conversation minutes apart.

After asking for a supervisor I explained to her I have been given false health coverage information from several customer reps and made some poor decisions because of it, she just said, "Sorry" and then asked if there was anything else I needed. I said, "Yes. Would you please listen to my previous 6 calls I made to the reps" to prove to her the false coverage information I was given.. She stated only certain people can do that. (As a supervisor it is her duty to get to the bottom of misinformation.) She then asked if there is anything else I needed. I stated, "I will not renew my coverage with UHC when enrollment period returns due to your corporation's poor and false coverage details.."

Original review: June 8, 2022

Since the fist day I started with this company I been experienced the worse customer service. All visit to doctors, laboratories and pharmacy have been issues and issues to be covered! I am an HIV patient and they push me and push me to change my medication after been on it for the last 8 years (with no issues with Florida Blue Cross), they do not care about health, they just want your money. They claim pharmacy rush appeals will be handled in 72 hrs, and is a TOTAL lie, they start to handle them AFTER the 72 hrs, meaning a prescription that is urgent can take more than a week. At the end my doctor find for me 6 months of medications supplies because he got exhausted of calling (with me on the phone) with no luck to receive at least an answer. Be aware of finding another insurance when you have to renew or find a new company, THINK TWICE before choosing United Health Care.

Original review: June 7, 2022

I have deep vein thrombosis in both legs and now compression stockings no-longer work and after suffering an injury to my ankle and unable to walk found a vein specialist to assist. I've yet to gain approval for remaining treatment and suffering with extreme pain and I can't wear shoes. Rely on cane and getting tired of the excuses. At this point in time I've begun the process of searching for a new provider and would not recommend UHC to anyone. I need to work but due to current situation can't and I feel UHC is not listening to me.

Original review: May 23, 2022

I don’t usually leave online reviews but I feel it is my duty to warn others how vile and evil this organization is. While they routinely deny cataract surgeries or even an OBGYN checkup, their CEO and mid-tier MBAs make bank at the expense of their consumer’s health. Don’t even bother calling customer service or complaining to your state. The hand-in-glove corruption knows no bounds. How on Earth this corporation is legal confounds me. Evil personified. Horrific.

Original review: May 16, 2022

After over 4 hours of calling United Health Care to enroll in a plan, getting transferred 7 times throughout my various calls, being placed on hold for periods of up to 40 minutes, and talking to agents that communicated as if they were on drugs, not one of them had the capability to handle a simple call, to provide basic information, nor to enroll me.

After this nightmare, I called the corporate office and asked to talk to management. I briefed the receptionist on what had been taking place, and said that I had to bring my experience to their attention. Just as all of the other employees I had the misfortune to talk to, this corporate office receptionist said that she was going to transfer my call to a "Sales Agent". She immediately transferred and left the call without allowing me to say anything, even though I had been very clear when she answered that I needed to talk to someone in management, because of all that I had been going through for almost 5 hours of trying to get help and not getting it. Turns out she transferred me to an automated message that said: "Please enter your writing ID". What in the world is wrong with the employees at United Healthcare????

I dialed the corporate office number again, and another receptionist answered. This one asked for my name and said nothing else. I was waiting to hear that she was going to transfer me to a supervisor or manager, but after a few seconds of silence, the call was disconnected. Absolutely shocking!!!! And what's even worse is that there's no way for me to let the leaders know about what their employees are doing (and not doing) on their jobs. Very truly, every single one of them, and I must have talked to approximately 10 employees in a 4 to 5 hours period, displayed complete and total incompetence, disregard, carelessness, ignorance and disrespect.

United Health Care author review by Joseph Burns

UnitedHealthCare is the largest single health care carrier in the United States. It currently covers approximately 70 million Americans and contributes large amounts of money to medical research every year.

• Lots of options: UnitedHealthCare provides a wide range of plan options for individuals, families and employers.

• Offers Medicaid plans: Low-income consumers may be able to get Medicaid insurance through UnitedHealthCare.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Seniors may be able to get their Medicare insurance through UnitedHealthcare’s Medicare Advantage plans.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Advisor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

United Health Care Company Information