United Health Care

Compare Health Insurance Companies

Research top Health Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

United Healthcare (UHC) notified our office in February 2016 that it was time to re-credential our provider, who had been credentialed and re-credentialed every 3 years since June 1997. I sent UHC all of the information required to re-credential the provider. Three months later (May 2016), after not having heard from UHC, I called the credentialing department and found out that they had not begun to review the information sent to them. In August 2016, I again spoke with the credentialing department and found out they had still not begun reviewing the provider's information. Meanwhile, our patients who had United Healthcare medical coverage could not be referred to specialists for necessary treatments.

Only "in-network" primary care providers were allowed to refer patients. Therefore, our patients with uncontrolled diabetes, heart problems, kidney problems, asthma, COPD, head injuries, traumatic brain injuries, vascular problems and eye problems could not be further treated by specialists. In September 2016, I sent a complaint to the Oregon Insurance Commission regarding the inaction of United Healthcare to re-credential our provider. I received a letter from them stating that they have no authority over the credentialing process. From November 2016 through February 2017, I called to get status of the re-credentialing and was told each month that the application had been processed and approved and that If we have received the contract, to please sign it and return to the credentialing department. If we have not received the contract, we should expect it to take 30-45 more days.

In March 2017, I called the local United Healthcare representative, whose contact information was given to me by UHC customer service. She said that we were approved December 26, 2016 and since we didn't respond, the provider was deactivated. I asked her how we could respond when United Healthcare credentialing department did not send us anything via mail, e-mail, fax, or telephone. She apologized and said she would take care of it herself. Due to no response again, I sent a letter of complaint to the Oregon State Attorney General's office. They answered back with a letter stating that they will keep my complaint on file and when they receive more of the same complaints, they will act on it. Today is April 18, 2017 and we have not received any contract by mail, fax, nor telephone message about the provider's re-credentialing. My concern is for our patients who are put in jeopardy because they cannot receive necessary treatments.

I took this insurance the beginning of this year. They gave me a primary Dr other than the one I requested. My Dr for 10 years takes this plan. The Dr I was assigned was no longer even in practice and a non working phone on my new ID card. It took >1 month to get my primary back. They were stalling until I told them if I request new primary, it was to take effect the following month. Then I got my Dr back. Then I needed a referral from UHC United Health Care to see the neurosurgeon that fused my neck. It wasn't approved and every time I called I was given false information. I had to call my Dr and tell her I still hadn't been approved, and she said she has the approval - for a couple of weeks I was in limbo.

My surgery was a success and took ~80% of the neck pain away. Now I am weaning off of extended release medication, and my first request for 1 month is >$950 without insurance approval. It needed a prior authorization. My Dr called it in. A week went by... I was running out of medication, and a UHC representative suggested I have the Dr call a special number for an expedited 3 day approval process. I called on day 3 and the 3-day request is denied. I have to wait for 3 weeks--of working days to get my answer. I have to wait until April 26 or so to find out!!

They Suggest I take **. It's like **. I have been on the highest dose of extended release for a couple of years, and they want to experiment with the non extended version. They simply do not care!! That's why I want to tell people about this. I worked 30 years as a nurse, and I've never been treated so terribly! When I meet a $3300 deductible, everything will be covered... If they approve the referral or the medication... BEWARE the purchaser of UHC if you need any medical care!

When I signed up with UnitedHealthcare RX plans through AARP I was told that my prescriptions would be anywhere from 1 to $3 and the one description I have would be no more than $25 or a 30 day supply. Also I had to pay a $400 deductible. The first 30 days I paid the $400 deductible. The price of their medications was higher than what they quoted me. Now they are not lowering their prices to what they should be according to their quoted prices. Or a 15-day supply a low dose of my medicine is $35 and yes that's generic. Another medication called ** is a generic and they want to charge me $35. Also they now tell me that you have to go to certain Pharmacy. They never discussed anything about Pharmacy with me. They said they'd send out some type of Welcome package that explains everything. Well I guess I was unlucky and I didn't leave one.

I called customer service and I was told basically it's not their fault that these are different tier medications. I am on a fixed income Social Security and I was told that my medicine would be anywhere from 1 to $3 and the expensive one for my pain meds would be no more than $25. Just the two prescriptions I am trying to get are $35 each. That's $70 and I don't have it. I was told by their representative Kristine which is supposed to be a supervisor that there's nothing she can do about it that's just the way it is. I don't like being taken advantage of because I'm on Social Security and I have physical disabilities and medication disabilities and they are using that to discriminate against me with higher prices on their drugs than what was quoted to me.

The first month alone I cleared and pay the $400 deductible which was designated by them. They control there how much and when the pay it on prescriptions. Now they tell me that Rite Aid Pharmacy is the one who collected the $400 deductible and not them. So in a nutshell if I change Insurance RX companies I lost the $400. It wasn't supposed to be this way. Basically the supervisor told me I am up the creek without a paddle and there's not anything I can do about it. This is just how it is and they're going to charge me whatever they want. She told me one of the prescriptions for $35 is a $50 prescription and I asked her is that cost that Rite Aid is going to tell me it cost. Well she changed her story and she would not give me the price of what it would cost. Just the standard discount card that doesn't cost anything for Rite Aid to give to you is going to make the medication cheaper than $35.

This Christina was supervisor. Was evasive, unclear, unhelpful, uncaring, and plainly just did not give a hoot. He said that he can disenroll me from UnitedHealthcare plan. Hey you said that I would have to go to a cheap Pharmacy because Rite Aid is not there for pharmacy and their prescription cost is different. She said at $50 and they're only going to charge me $35 they paid $15 for this medication. My monthly premium's only $34. I don't know what to do. I'm disabled I'm on some heavy medications and I feel like I have been taken advantage of and just ran through the wringer and I don't know what to do. I'm on a fixed income and I just don't have the $70 for the two prescriptions I need around somewhere. UnitedHealthcare is not a place that I would recommend to anyone to do business with. I wouldn't even have them as a pharmacy plans for a pet.

If anyone out there has any suggestions would you please get in touch with me. I just don't know what to do next. I just know that they charge me so much money for my prescriptions the first 30 days that the $400 deductible was net. How can these companies used and abused our elderly people. I do not understand why we don't have better coverage, more affordable coverage and being told they correct things when we sign up for these programs. Again at no time was I in any way shape or form that I had to go to a bargain discount prescription store. I was told my prescriptions only be $3 and my pain medicine would be no more than $25 for a 30 day supply. It has gone to regular anxiety medicines to pay $35.

I guess since they were getting all these high prices with the deductible and mine they decide just to keep charging the customer an outrageous price so they can make the bottom line, they can make more profit at the expense or disability. Disabled people and the Social Security recipients' carry the load. Why cannot the government or somebody get involved and help us so we do not have these companies like UnitedHealthcare rape us, Rob us and basically put us in the poor house without anyone over seeing what they're doing and probably nobody cares. I care about me and I care about the other senior disabled people that have been hurt by UnitedHealthcare RX plans. It's supposed to be covered while it's supposed to be certified by our Social Security Department Medicare and also AARP.

I did talk to AARP and they were very helpful and lodging a complaint with UnitedHealthcare to try to resolve this problem but I'm sure that they're going to come up empty as I did. I do appreciate them trying but I don't see them able to do anything better than I've already tried to do. So listen UnitedHealthcare RX plans or anything to do with UnitedHealthcare is a bad idea period. UnitedHealthcare in any way shape or form is not in your best interest so do not take any plans policies with this company if you do not want to get screwed. They told me basically that take my silly problem down the hall, pay their price, do what they tell me to do and then everything will work out just fine.

I don't know how it works out fine for I guess that means them. UnitedHealthcare is just a proper cheering company that should not be trusted or believed in any way shape or form. UnitedHealthcare is a bad company in my view. I would not wish UnitedHealthcare on to anybody. Say no to UnitedHealthcare. Say no to UnitedHealthcare. I wish somebody would tell me that before I got suckered into UnitedHealthcare. Thank you. God bless. Happy Easter. Thank you again.

I have been with United for over 2 years now. I haven't had many complaints until the past few months. It started when we made the mistake of changing our FSA to automatic payment instead of getting debit cards. They fail to make it clear that the auto payment ONLY applies to your health insurance, not vision, dental, etc. So when we have those expenses we now have to pay out of pocket and manually submit a claim for reimbursement.

I submitted a claim in December, didn't hear anything back for a few weeks so I called to check in on this. I was then told that it can take 4-6 weeks for claims that are mailed in to be processed and added into the system. I was told to check back. I called back in January and was told that there is still nothing in the system so I needed to send or fax it again. I do not have access to a fax so I asked if there was any way that I could submit online or email, I was told no. So I mailed it again. Called again in February and was told again that nothing had been processed and to call again later. Called again and was told that it was never received and to send AGAIN. Finally I had to find someone that could fax this for me. It was sent on March 21 and I received a confirmation from the fax company that 4 pages were sent and received.

My husband was speaking to someone on a different matter on April 3 and asked about the status of our reimbursement. He was then told that they only received 1 page so they could not pay out. It absolutely baffles me that NO ONE could be bothered to call or email us to let us know that what they received was incomplete and they needed us to fax again. They were just going to not pay it.

I have never had to spend hours and hours on the phone over a 3+ month period just to get reimbursed from our FSA. This is ridiculous. Every time I call whoever I get says that they can't help and need to transfer me to someone else, I then ask what number I should use to call back (since the one on our insurance card isn't correct apparently) and when I call the different number I get the same story. I have now sent our claim reimbursement form in the mail twice and faxed twice, it concerns me greatly that my information is getting lost and that I have to babysit this company to make sure that things get resolved. After just spending another hour on the phone and getting transferred 3 times I was finally told that my entire fax was received but that it will take them up to another 30 days to get the check to me. I'll believe it when I see it... It is April 11 and I have been working on this since December. It should not be this difficult.

On another aggravating note, we are part of a program that allows you to get "lower" premiums if you complete an annual wellness assessment. Great idea! Too bad United is not accountable for that paperwork either! Somehow my assessment paperwork was not entered into the system by the third party company that handles it. Out of all the hours I was on the phone with United trying to get my reimbursement, not one person mentioned to me or my husband that my wellness assessment was marked incomplete. They told me I needed to get my "well woman exam" and do my health coaching, but not the assessment. We just received an email that our premiums are going up $500 a year because this was not entered into their system.

I called and asked who I needed to resend the paperwork to but was told that "Sorry, it's too late. There is nothing we can do". They then told me to call the third party company that receives and enters the information, but when I asked if they found my paperwork with the date of October 2016 on it if everything would be taken care of, I was told no. So now we are paying even more to them each month. There is no sense of accountability whatsoever.

My biggest advice to anyone who goes with United is to babysit every single thing that you submit. Do not think that because you sent something direct to the company or you don't hear that there is a problem that everything is fine. They will not contact you if there are any problems with your claims or accounts, they just won't pay it or will charge you more. It would be hard for me to be any more disappointed.

United Healthcare denied coverage of test strips to test 8 times per day as requested by the doctor. Then, they rejected covering CGM supplies because they said they didn't have proof of frequent testing. This is absurd. How can you reject frequent testing and then reject because you don't have proof of frequent testing. They are in the business of taking money in premiums and saying no. Denying coverage for covered items. They are the worst. Awful company. Awful policies. Awful people who don't care about what it says is covered. They don't know what's going on.

If you are considering using them for coverage - DON'T. You will be angry, frustrated, and feel like you are wasting money. Be prepared to spend hours and hours on the phone and writing letters to get what is supposed to be covered. They need to be investigated for fraud - they say they cover things and then they don't. Unless you are prepared to fight for EVERYTHING you are paying for, DO NOT USE THEM.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Don't use this insurance. Everyone at this company has only one purpose: how not to pay for the claims. They won't listen to you at all. Customer service is worst. I wasted my 2-3 hours talking to the customer service and they weren't even ready to listen. One of the customer service representatives even told me: "Sorry, it wasn't convenient for you to have fainted after 5 PM". I am not sure how they are surviving but I am sure they won't survive for long. Everyone working here is very unprofessional.

Worst. Insurance. Ever. My husband's employer's healthcare option changes every year (obviously, to save money). This year (Sept. 2016 - Sept. 2017) they chose United Healthcare's All Savers Plan. We've had several issues with them. I'll tell you about three of them. My husband tried to call them on a weekend in regards to going to an Urgent Care facility - they don't have weekend hours. There's just a recording stating their hours and days (Monday through Friday). Apparently, they don't believe anyone insured through them should or may have an emergency on weekends (or holidays, for that matter). If we have to go to Urgent Care or an emergency room on a weekend or holiday, it's likely that insurance verification won't be had.

Last year, my husband was due for a scheduled colonoscopy. It took 2 weeks to try to find out exactly what All Savers UHC would cover and what his co-pay would be. The day before the scheduled procedure, we were shocked to find out that it wasn't covered at AT ALL. Because of a previous colonoscopy some ten years' prior (different insurer) where they found and removed 4 polyps (he's had another clean colonoscopy before this last scheduled one), we were told that the procedure was deemed diagnostic and not preventative - therefore, they wouldn't cover it. I asked if, should my husband develop colon cancer, would treatment for that be covered; they couldn't (or wouldn't) answer that question.

The last incident I will tell you about concerns the injection to prevent Shingles. In February, he received a prescription from his physician authorizing the injection for Shingles through our local Walgreens. When we arrived at Walgreens and they checked his prescription, we were informed that his insurer would not cover the injection and he would have to pay the $250 out-of-pocket. We left at that point. Called a few other pharmacies to price shop but apparently the price is pretty fixed. We were told, however, that given my husband's age, the insurer should cover it. My husband called the representative that sold the policy to his employer and he was told to pay for the shot and submit a claim and he would be reimbursed.

After the claim was submitted, however (don't get me started on their useless website), we waited. And waited. They have 45 days to reimburse. Instead, we received a statement in the mail, showing that the cost of the injection had been applied to his deductible. He contacted the representative again, who stated they shouldn't have done that. The representative (he's an independent agent) contacted All Savers and instructed them to reimburse him directly. Again, we wait.

My husband calls All Savers again, as the website where his account is doesn't show you ANYTHING except your personal information - no claims status; nothing. He was informed by All Savers that the amount would be reimbursed to Walgreens and he'd have to go back to the pharmacy to receive his reimbursement. WHAT??? Walgreens has already been paid!! Again, call the representative. The rep calls back and says a check was cut for my husband that day and he should receive it in about a week. This was several days ago and we're still waiting.

Their customer service people have little to no information regarding what you're covered for; they read the status of your claim off their screen and cannot answer questions directly. They have no weekend hours. And they won't cover a colonoscopy that may prevent a very expensive-to-treat disease? Really, the worst insurance I've come across.

It is impossible to use their WEBSITE and I can never reset my password. It asks for security questions and when I enter the answers, it says they are wrong. And it is EXTREMELY hard to get in touch with a live person. It gives you a lot more options that I do not want and then it reads something about the IRS and then when you finally get to a representative, all they do is read whatever is in front of them. Like most people, I don't know much about insurance plans but I don't want to pay for everything out of pocket and that's why I have insurance. That's why I pay every month... I think I deserve an answer when I ask how my insurance policy works. Instead, all I get is smart ** cc agents who probably hate their jobs and cannot do it right. I shouldn't have to request to talk to the broker who helped me in the first place because customer care CANNOT do their job. This is ridiculous!!! I hate this company. Might have to look elsewhere. They suck!!!

I filed a refund request in Feb for glasses following cataract surgery. First of all was given erroneous information from 4 different reps as to what vision comp would accept the card. Walmart was the #1 to go to. I was told that they do not accept this insurance as it won't pay. After attempting to use their providers, who the providers denied acceptance of insurance I paid cash for the glasses. I filed in Feb for reimbursement as the cs reps told me to. Every time I contact cs to check on status of claim I am given different information as to where the claim is and if it is being processed or not. It has been 8 weeks and 1 day and last night got even different information. I am a retired nurse of 43 yrs so I know if it isn't document it is not done so I have documented every call with name of cs and information given will be filing complaints today with state and national bureaus and BBB. This is ridiculous.

I recently had a reverse shoulder replacement and UHC has been horrible to deal with. My surgeon wrote an RX for 3 times a week for 12 weeks. Well, our wonderful UHC approved a total of 17 sessions and refuse to approve any more. Who are these people making our medical decisions. Do they actually know more than our surgeons? NOT!!! These are lay people with no medical training. So sad that we have to deal with this crap. I have never wished ill will on people, but in this case I wish someone in the approval department would go through what I have gone through.

Consumer Increased Rating!

The company assigned someone to our office to handle all of our issues, so I am cautiously optimistic!

Tracy of Glenview, IL on

Original Review

I work at a doctor's office and regularly call United Health Care to resolve issues with patients' claims. United Health Care is the ONLY insurance company we deal with that regularly does things to avoid paying claims. They routinely deny claims and will then do everything possible to prolong the appeal process, requesting more and more records and forms until you finally give up. I just called their customer service about a check of theirs that bounced and was on the phone with them for an hour and ten minutes, transferred 8 times. NO ONE it seems can even look the check up. I was transferred from provider services to OptumID to their Recovery Department and round and round again. They are unbelievable.

Agents will put you on hold forever, hoping that you'll get tired and hang up. You're on hold with the agent that you just spent fifteen minutes explaining the problem to, and after a ten-minute hold someone new picks up saying the call was transferred to them. They'll tell you that there's nothing they can do. Nothing?? Your check bounced and there's nothing you can do?? Unfortunately, the patient will probably be responsible for paying what United Health Care has AGREED to pay because they won't acknowledge that their check bounced. One of our patients died and his wife is trying to handle all the medical bills from various facilities. She called last week crying because she's getting the same run around that I get from them. I feel so sorry for her because after burying her husband, she's going to be left paying bills she shouldn't have to. What they're doing is criminal.

I would never in a million years use this insurance company for my own insurance and our office is considering not allowing their patients for service because of the nightmare that ensues when we try to get paid. This last encounter is par for the course with this company. If given a choice, I would advise people to STAY AWAY from this horrible company. You will end up paying out of pocket what your insurance company should be paying.

I have had issue after issue with this horrendous company. I have never had such a difficult time with the simplest task until I switched to United Health Care after starting with a new employer. FSA reimbursements for dependent care have always been a breeze in the past with other insurance companies. I submitted my itemized receipts online, could easily track my claim after submitting, and would have my money deposited into my account typically within a week! This has NOT been my experience with United.

The first claim I submitted online, I never received any other notifications afterwards. I waited two weeks before contacting United, because I couldn't even see my claim submission online to be able to track its progress. It wasn't until after calling multiple times did I find out the claim had either been denied or suspended (I was told varying stories) because there seemed to be a problem with the dates submitted, and they were "reviewing" them. After I pushed back several times to find out WHAT exactly was wrong with the dates, I was told that a mistake had been made on their part, and the claim was moved to approved status.

Even then, it took another 2 weeks to receive my reimbursement. When it finally came through, I noticed it was not for the full amount! I contacted United again, and was told a portion was denied because the "services were not covered charges per my plan". I had only submitted weekly childcare expenses! So I responded asking specifically WHAT PART of my claim was denied, because I only submitted weekly childcare expenses, and if part of that claim was denied it wouldn't make sense. So the next response I received was that the entire claim had been cancelled and could I please resubmit!! HOW was my claim CANCELLED when I had already received a partial reimbursement?! The incompetence is outrageous.

I gave up trying to sort that out, because I pay more in childcare for the year than I allocated to be withheld, so I knew I would still get my total reimbursement by the time I submitted all expenses. I submitted my remaining expenses for 2016 before the March 2017 deadline. The website changed, and I could no longer even see my 2016 dependent care plan, although I could still see my medical FSA plan. This was mid March, so the problem wasn't that the March 31st deadline had been reached and 2016 was no longer visible.

So I submitted my receipts without even knowing how much I had left in my plan. Again, I couldn't see my submitted claim. I knew all too well they probably wouldn't contact ME, so I promptly contacted them to ask why I couldn't see my plan or my submitted claim. I was first told nothing had been submitted. I had to push back to get them to even look any further because I definitely HAD submitted my claim. Then I was told I needed to resubmit with the "correct date of service and charge amount". I submitted itemized receipts like I always do! They are prepared by the childcare provider and meet every single requirement.

So I called customer service again to see what the problem was. The next lie I was first told was that I needed to resubmit an itemized claim. I explained I did that the first time, so could they please tell me WHAT EXACTLY needed to be changed, otherwise I was going to submit exactly what I submitted before. Then I was told they just couldn't see it, so it must be a website problem, and I needed to contact the tech support team. They connected me with this team, and I was told I DIDN'T EVEN HAVE a 2016 dependent care account in my plan!! HUH, that's funny, because my allocation was taken out EVERY PAYCHECK and I had already received a reimbursement!!

So the next lie they came back with was that as long as I submitted it, everything was fine. I told them NO, I was told it had been denied (WITHOUT GIVING ME ANY NOTIFICATION AGAIN), and I needed to resubmit. Finally after all the back and forth, the lady said she would have to contact Operations. THESE PEOPLE HAVE NO FREAKING CLUE WHAT'S GOING ON!! I left feedback that it really seemed as if United was trying its best to ensure I wasn't reimbursed for MY money that's taken out of MY paycheck. I SHOULD NOT have to jump through hoops, hunt people down like it's my freaking day job to get answers about something so simple!! I SHOULD NOT have a claim denied and NOT be notified about it!!

This "company" deserves to be sued. This is outrageous mishandling of the claims process and I am FED UP!! I am complaining to my HR department and requesting they look into switching insurance agencies. I cannot go through this every single time I submit a reimbursement claim, and I know I am not the only one having so many problems with them. Such an awful, awful company.

I am a professional driver and because of that I am required to take a DOT physical. Because of raising health cost my employer switched us from a different company to United Health Care. The DOT doctor ordered that I had to take a sleep study and without it I would be denied my physical card and would not be allowed to drive.

When my regular doctor sent in the request for a preapproval for the sleep study I was informed I was denied coverage. When I called to ask why this was happening I was informed that the sleep study was a Job Requirement procedure. When I asked what that meant I was informed that any procedures that were required to fulfill a job requirement such as needed shots or an ordered sleep study was not covered. I imagine there are many drivers who are discovering that they will be unemployable because they can't afford a $5000 plus medical requirement to work. I can't imagine any future employer willing to hire me when I tell them I can't meet the DOT requirements.

They told me I owed one more bill. I called in January. They said ok it was their fault. Then they called me in March. They then told me it was done and I didn't owe anything. Then a week later someone called and told me they were sending the papers to close out the bill. Today I get a phone call and telling me I have to appeal it.

I have a AARP MedAdvantage policy from United Healthcare. When the provider I had been using for years (and the one UHC had been paying), without notice refused to do so. UHC gave me 5 other "In Network" providers. The first 4 or these refused to do business with UHC. Four different "Specialists" at UHC stated McKesson was in their network. What was really disheartening was that neither UHC or McKesson would tell the truth about why McKesson discontinued in the UHC network because each phone call resulted in a different reason. Some of them were hilarious. In fact to date I still do not know why!!! I am aware of another individual with the same coverage McKesson just sold products to.

After my hip surgery I was directed to go to physical therapy twice a week for 6 weeks. When I searched the United HC website for providers, I found I was limited to a couple of providers in my area. One of the providers that was listed didn't even offer PT so I was stuck with a single choice. I went to my first appointment and the experience was so bad that I never went back. That would have been the end of it, but then I got the bill. This facility had charged $371 for a physical therapy appointment. After insurance, my part was $245.77. This seemed outrageous so I started calling other PT providers in my area but who were out-of-network for United HC.

I wanted to see what I would have paid if I had used a provider of my choice and paid out of pocket. I found the going rate was $100 per visit. In order to compare apples-to-apples, I called the facility where I had received services and asked for their self-pay PT rate. I was quoted $300-$400 with a 30% discount. I thought the whole point of being in-network was to receive a better deal. Why would United HC even contract with a facility that charges 4 times the going rate? It makes me wonder what "arrangements" they have with facilities. Even though this is my company's group plan, I'm going to try and make other arrangements at open enrollment. I don't trust them.

We have already been dissatisfied with United health but this takes the cake. They have been dragging their feet getting ABA therapy started for our son. Now, he just had an EGD and colonoscopy done with results that warrants medication. Because of his autism and sensory processing disorder, the doctor prescribed a granular medicine. United Health denied the medicine saying there were cheaper OTC pills. His doctor explained to them that he cannot take a liquid or swallow pills and needed the granular. They compromised on a dissolving tab and my doctor called it in but when the pharmacy confirmed it with United health, they yet again denied this medication because there are cheaper OTC pills.

I have called them four times to explain that my son has a disability but they do not care because they don't want to pay for the medication that will be easiest for him but instead discriminate against his disability and make him try to swallow a pill. I did go to the store tonight to try to get the over the counter and I cannot even crush the pills since they are big time release capsules. They are discriminating against my son's disability, their communication and customer service is horrible, and they do not care about their customers. Stay away from United Health!!

I will not be subscribing with AARP once this subscription runs out and will be looking at other options for supplemental health care for my husband other than United Health Care because I am highly disappointed and dissatisfied with them and the mail order pharmacy OptumRx. Why? Medicines that were supposed to be covered are not covered. It takes weeks to get a prescription filled when you have to go through the pre-authorization (PA) process. We got a PA on a prescription for my husband and they said it was not and they did not have a prescription sent from my Dr. She had to fax the same one two or three times and then they did not find the prescription.

We are paying $73 a month for our premiums for my husband. We were told he has to pay over $900 for a 90 day supply for one of his meds because the price of this tier 3 med went over his yearly allowance. So why do we have insurance? I assure you that we were not told when we signed up that he would only be allowed $3700 a year coverage. We were only able to get one month of this med because it would cost $35. Bear in mind also that we got estimates from $90-$4003 for the same medication. Let's see... We have paid $219 of $876 for the year and are at the end of our coverage unless we hit the $4000 stop gap and then we get help. This was not how this part d plan was explained to us. We are both medically retired and on a fixed income. AARP and UnitedHealth should be drummed out of business. How dare they take advantage of us! I am forced now to call drug companies and try to get help from them.

We are still trying to find a way out of this plan. OptumRx has got to be the lamest excuse for a Mail-order pharmacy. Please, people, think twice about using them. They are confusing, unhelpful, and annoying. They lose prescriptions and anything else you need to get your meds. Look. We are in a bind here. To get out of the stop gap is going to take money we don't have. This plan is a disaster and a ripoff. I can't tell you what to do with your money, but I would be cautious with this plan. They did not explain to us how it really works. I am experienced and educated so I really feel for those who have no one to help them with this. I mean, it should not happen to anyone. So, United Health, AARP, and OptumRx, you got us this year. Won't happen next year.

I wish I could give a negative star. I opted for a United Health Care Compass plan on the NYS Exchange. Note, this is a Compass plan which is different than other plans with United--and this is a problem with the Compass plan, not with the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare). On choosing the plan in November 2016, I confirmed with my primary care physician that they accept the plan--I arrived for an appointment in March 2017 and learned they cancelled the plan in February 2017. As a long-term patient, my primary has always accepted my insurance, but said that in this case it is not possible.

I have since called 75+ doctors listed on the United Health Care website searching for a new primary care physician and NOBODY is accepting this plan--all of the major hospitals, practices and clinics in New York City have stopped taking the plan. Reportedly--and this is based on a conversation with a hospital referral line--the industry thinks the plan is going to fold soon, so doctors don't want to risk getting stuck with unpaid invoices. The doctor list on the MyUHC.com website is not accurate.

I found two practitioners still accepting the plan--but appointments are 4+ months out and they cannot guarantee that they will still be accepting Compass when the time comes for the appointment. Customer service at UHC has been friendly enough--they have given me numerous phone numbers from their internal database and have made calls on my behalf--but they are not able/willing to consider the larger picture or comment on the situation. I requested a supervisor callback yesterday morning--but have not heard from anyone yet. DO NOT, I cannot say it loud enough, sign on to a United Health Care Compass plan in New York.

This is the second preauthorization that United HC has required for my 12 yo's prescription. The issue is not only the inconvenience of when I drop off his monthly hand written prescription (due to being a controlled substance) within one year but, the pharmacist relays I need another authorization. Who determines that we need another preauthorization again and why?! I proceed to have the prescription filled and call the insurance company and get an attitude for the inquiry. $10 says the young fella that was so very snide with me wouldn't get away with it if we were in person to put it politely.

These people don't even like their jobs, my guess is that they may have a conscience or did at one point and it's eating away at them doing people wrong. Corporate greed... Trickling down to everyday people in need of medical care... Corporate wins, typical David vs Goliath scenario. We the people should start class action lawsuits against for profit insurance companies that create delays for healthcare. Corporations should not profit from people with healthcare needs. Totally wrong and it's dragging/keeping America down.

Nov of last year my spouse had to have emergency surgery for a hernia. Went to Florida Hospital in Tampa, FL which is an In-Network Hospital. Surgery was postponed till the next day. No problems till now. Received statements from two surgeons billing us $27,000.00 each (the Hospital was $42,000.00). United Health Care paid the hospital but not the surgeons as they were Out-of-Network. Was not told this by them or the hospital. Florida Governor Rick Scott signed HB 221 preventing outrageous bills and surprising medical bills. Will have to contact all agencies about this. Not fair to seniors or anyone.

I've been paying for their short and long term disability for longer than 10 yrs through work. I developed an inoperable tumor bigger than a golf ball between my pancreas and liver and am on pain management that won't allow me to work anymore. I submitted all paperwork they asked for and was denied. I appealed. The 3rd party that examined my case cleared me, but now they have my claim in a vocational department to see if I can do another job. This has been 4 months and I haven't received a dime. None of this was explained when they took my money. Now I have to sue at my expense and lose 25% of what they owe me. I'm writing the insurance commissioner in Florida and am contacting the 4 major news agencies in hopes to shed light on these crooks. I went on social media and told everyone what they're doing to people.

Since Jan 27 my GYN has attempted to get a prior authorization for an HYSTERECTOMY! It has been denied several times and is now unfortunately in appeals. Called for a status today and was told policy is they have until March 31 to make a decision! My surgery was initially scheduled for March 3 and obviously has been cancelled. Prior to the appeal being filed, my GYN did a peer-to-peer (my Dr consults with a UHC Dr). UHC physician told my OB if we did an endometrial biopsy they would approve. She then noted my file differently and states she told my Dr a biopsy was needed and it would begin the appeals process. March 2nd I filed the appeal.

My surgery has been CANCELLED, I now have had the opportunity to sit in agony and wait for them to decide just how crucial this procedure is. I have a cyst on my left ovary, excessive thickening of endometrial tissue and an enlarged uterus. None of which can be "fixed" without surgery and an official diagnosis can't be determined without surgery but UHC don't give a rat's ass about anything other than their premiums. $140+ a WEEK we give them for NOTHING! Today is March 13, we've had insurance with them since Jan 1st. It's going to be a long year! Oh let me not forget to mention, I've sought out an attorney. I'm going to make them suffer like they've done me in 3 short months! They've run across the wrong person this time. I don't back down and I don't give up! Ball is in my court!

So disappointed! Since I got insured with them couple of month ago their website is not working probably. Today I visited my primary care doctor and she sent me to a specialist but apparently their website is not working so my doctor is not able to get the referral form and send it to them. I waste one day. Many people were trying to fix it with my insurance and finally we could not!

My husband has diabetic nerve pain in this feet. He has been on ** for 2 years and has been very successful... This year we had to change to United Health Insurance. I have been trying to refill his ** for the past 2 weeks. I get passed around and around. Now the RX has been denied, because someone at the Insurance company wants him to try at least 3 different ones. Well if our doctor had wanted him to be on these other medications she would have put him on them. Why does this insurance company have the power to determine my husband's health condition. Also we were forced to use the 90 mail program, which am not please with being forced to use it. We have used Optum Pharmacy before and have excellent service from them... I am NOT happy with this insurance plan.

I also had a problem with medical cards showing the correct names and plan. It took about 2 months to fix, but it didn't prevent any treatments. Now, our son has a heart condition, Tetralogy of Fallot. He had a stent put in at birth, then had reconstructive open heart surgery at 6 months, then had a seizure 2 weeks after coming home. All together he was in the hospital 3 months in his first 7 months of life. United Health Care nurses call every couple of week just to check up on our son. We get in home care, prescriptions are covered, the total stay was covered, and we recommend them to any family.

Our son's medical bills from the surgery alone exceeded $150,000. We've never had any push back from the insurance agency. My wife is type 1 diabetic and her insulin is a $50 co pay with endo's costing $40. Healthcare is frustrating and it sounds like the majority of the problems listed here are a customer service issue. From the standpoint of saving our son's life, we recommend United Health Care and its nurses who call just to see how the family is holding up.

My son who has Down's syndrome recently started receiving a bill for part D Medicare coverage from United Health Care. Upon inquiring I learned that because he did not opt out of part D when we first signed him up that he is now stuck paying this. The thing is when he signed up (or failed to opt out) it was because his part of the premium was $0, free. Now the premium has gone up and he is being billed for the difference of what Medicare will pay and the new premium, which is almost triple what the initial enrollment amount was, yet he cannot opt out until open Enrollment in the fall.

We would have opted out if we had known the premium could and would change. I will quote from a letter he received. "A medicare beneficiary's silence is deemed to be consent to enrollment." Since the government covers part of this cost, if he does not pay his part, he will billed for the entire amount which is even higher, which they will tap out of his Disability social security. Upon checking, I see that there have been thousands of other complaints against this company for bait and switch. Shame on this company for taking advantage of a man who has a second-grade reading level and has neither the IQ or means to resolve this matter himself.

United Health Care continuously stalls on their claims and tries to do everything to prevent paying claim to their customers. I have had several providers and they are by far the rudest and sleaziest of any medical insurance claims company. If you have them hound them every day and I advise taking them to court quickly. I submitted a legitimate receipt and documentation for FSA claim which should be easily approved. They denied the claim and more importantly they state that they process claims within 7 days but after 7 days they didn't even notify me or show it was denied.

I signed my kids up for UHC child health plus through the NY state website and was given a premium amount of 153/month/per child for 12 months with no financial help that started on 1/1/2017 and was told by UHC my premium is due by the 10th of each month for it to remain active. In February I call to make my premium payment and they tell me I have nothing due which is impossible so I literally force them to take my money. That same day they I receive a bill for $1k from them and when I call them they explained this is just a billing error everything is fine and in-fact my premiums are going down just call again and make next month's payment.

Come this month in March when I call to make my payment I'm told I owe them over $700 and my premium has increased to 200/month/child. After spending over 4 hours of my day trying to get it resolved it turns out the following occurred. UHC was illegally trying to force me into a higher premium by dropping my coverage and re-instating it on a new higher premium plan... When I spoke to the state they informed me my premium should not change from my contracted amount and my enrollment status has not changed. UHC on the other hand was telling me my premium is going up because I failed to make payments on time and they have been re-enrolled into a now higher premium rate due to rate hikes this March for all Child Health Plus members and if I don't pay the new rate I can't continue having coverage. They also informed me that my coverage is now terminated and I would need to speak with.

UHC refused to do anything about honoring the original contracted price and would only accept the now increased rate simply because I failed to make a payment on time even though when I spoke to the reps on the phone I was told my premium is due by the 10th of each month. I will be filling a complaint with the NY Department of Health and the Attorney General against UHC for the complete and total fraud being committed by them. This is absolutely ridiculous that companies are getting away with doing these kinds of things when this was supposed to be getting fixed. How is this considered fixed? This doesn't even consider the fact they NEVER sent me an actual bill for the correct amounts the entire time I had the insurance, signed my kids up for a doctor that isn't even accepting new patients and it took 3 weeks into January to actually get me my kids insurance cards even though I signed up for the coverage in December.

UHC is using pre-authorizations as a scheme to delay and ultimately outright avoid paying for services through untoward and illegitimate pre-authorization procedures that are so slow and cumbersome that people give up and do something differently. UHC's pay avoidance scheme makes it virtually impossible to obtain medical services since health providers are refusing to accept them or if they do they will not provide services in a reasonable time frame. For example, one medical provider showed me without revealing any patient information a recent and ongoing UHC prior authorization scheme where UHC had already given prior authorizations for a set period but denied authorization well before it expired then demanded prior authorizations for a different substitute medication, which after submitted and a lengthy approval period UHC just denied them outright, which clearly was their intent from the start.

This was not just one isolated case but HUNDREDS of cases. UHC is SIMPLY jerking people around. My case IS dental - a cracked molar that must be pulled; it hurts. Clearly, all agree it needs extracted, which is covered, but UHC requires a prior authorization. THEY HAVE NO FAX OR EMAIL AND NO PROCEDURE TO EXPEDITE THIS. Since UHC is jerking people around no dentist will simply pull my tooth and expect to get paid since UHC will most likely deny it even though it is covered because it will have been performed prior to the authorization.

A WEEK LATER HERE I SIT IN PAIN DESPITE EXTRACTIONS PROVIDED UNDER THE PLAN. Nobody should be expected to endure tooth pain because UHC won't timely approve a necessary and covered procedure. Just as justice delayed is justice denied so is healthcare delayed at the point UHC is exercising the delay is simply healthcare denied. I sat in the dental chair of an oral surgeon OVER A WEEK AGO that takes the UHC. I should have been able to get that procedure done that day or certainly by the next day. UHC is terrible. I cannot wait to switch. Run from UHC as if your life depended on it since it just might and no way I want to have to depend on UHC.

Expert Review

Joseph BurnsHealth Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.    More about Joseph→

UnitedHealthCare is the largest single health care carrier in the United States. It currently covers approximately 70 million Americans and contributes large amounts of money to medical research every year.

• Lots of options: UnitedHealthCare provides a wide range of plan options for individuals, families and employers.
  • Offers Medicaid plans: Low-income consumers may be able to get Medicaid insurance through UnitedHealthCare.
  • Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Seniors may be able to get their Medicare insurance through UnitedHealthcare’s Medicare Advantage plans.
  • Best for Senior citizens, heads of families, employees