3.9/5 (2766 ratings)
Shop Now  on ShortTermHealthInsurance.com
Call Now Toll Free
Shop Now on ShortTermHealthInsurance.com

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About United Health Care

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

United Health Care Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

My wife had a recent gynecologist procedure, which involved an outpatient stay in our local women's hospital and for her to be put under anesthesia. I delivered her to the hospital in the morning and picked her up in the afternoon. All was coordinated and facilitated by the caring doctors and nursing staff. To include calls prior and calls post op. The procedure was a success and kept my wife from needing a hysterectomy. Thus it was proactive. Additionally, all of this was covered with no copayments for either the hospital visit or the associated medical prescriptions. Overall, we're 100% satisfied.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

I've been with United Health Care for quite some time, I only use it as a backup insurance for when I can't be seen by the VA, United healthcare has taken care of me when I needed them to, although my primary insurance is the VA, I still use United healthcare somewhat, they do a good job on providing me with good healthcare, I feel pretty comfortable with United healthcare as my secondary insurance.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

During the last 2 years, I have had serious health issues, requiring numerous hospitalizations and an organ transplant in 2019. United Healthcare was there for me every step of the way. Coverage was phenomenal, customer service was outstanding. They provided an RN to monitor my case and work with me throughout my journey. They provided T&E expense reimbursement for my travel to my hospital - Jefferson U. Hospital - which was a center of excellence. I can’t say enough about how fantastic UHC is. I will be sorry when I have to switch in January, 2021.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

United Healthcare has friendly people. They call regularly to check up on you and see if you need help. They remind you of shots should get to stay healthy. Their prescription plan is unbelievable, extremely affordable. The extra money for over the counter supplies are good to have I save $60 every 3 months for daily necessities. You get rewards for Dr. Visits, mammograms, flu shots. So many extra benefits!!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I have a lot of experience with United Health Care. The good is that they are accepted at a lot of places as being in network. However one issue I seen with this is I had to take my son to the emergency room and when I got the billing back, the emergency room is in network, however the attending physician is not and is considered out of network. That is really sad cause I cannot say I want the emergency room but not the doctor. I have to watch their billing a lot cause they did not credit me for all of my payments for prescriptions but after I pointed it out to them they rechecked and found like three of them they never credited and then I got a refund for those.

The rates they have negotiated with hospitals are ridiculously high. At the local hospital I went to get blood work. It was a full blood panel and an ASO titer test. At the hospital it cost me almost $900 for this bloodwork, and that was after the negotiated rate. Prior it was like $1500-1700. But I next had the exact same blood test, but this time had it drawn there and sent to Labcorp and my final price was $32. So when I complained about the hospital gouging me the insurance said well that is what they negotiated so it is acceptable for pricing.

As long as you keep following it and pay close attention then it works well. It is expensive but that is what our company had negotiated. Only other issue I have had with them is hitting the family deductible and the maximum out of pocket expense. My wife had surgery and that allowed us to hit her deductible and the family deductible. However when I got something done, I was charged the full amount not the discount after deductible. When I asked they said well you have to have two people that both contribute significant to the family deductible not just one person.

Original review: July 23, 2021

*Absolutely Horrible*. My employer switched providers from Aetna to United HealthCare in January. I work for a great company who has always taken amazing care of its employees. However, after the 27th time HR tried to convince us that we would have the same effective coverage, I grew suspicious. These clowns epitomize what is wrong with medicine today. They are the ones who are trying to keep patients from going to Emergency Rooms: **.

Here's what's prompting me to write this review: My wife woke up with extreme lower back pain 17 days ago. She's been going to physical therapy, and her primary care provider prescribed Oxycodone. Her pain specialist can and will treat her, but not without an MRI. We have been going back and forth with United Healthcare for 2 and a half weeks trying to get the MRI approved. They denied it. repeatedly. Her doctor had a "peer to peer" follow up conversation with United Healthcare, but they continue to deny coverage.

I am going to pay for the MRI with my own cash because my wife's pain is important to me, and I want her to be able to get treatment. The amount I pay will not even count toward my out of pocket maximum because they didn't approve the procedure. So, we've wasted 17 days waiting for insurance to pay for a test to diagnose the problem causing the pain.

I am now exploring secondary coverage beyond what me and my employer pay United Healthcare monthly so that we can have real coverage. United Healthcare is a red-tape machine engineered and deliberately constructed to PREVENT THE PAYMENT OF ANY CLAIMS. Their policy may look good on paper, but in practice they are ABSURD. They will not help you, and they do not care about people--only money. Please save your money and pick a better logical, fair, compassionate insurer.

Original review: July 18, 2021

I went to the ER when I could not get into my primary care doc for extreme pain in my torso. (They wouldn't have been able to do anything other than send me to the ER.) Turns out I had acute pancreatitis from a reaction to an antibiotic. The ER doc admitted me to the hospital because I needed to be on IV fluids (lots of them) as I was not allowed to eat or drink anything and were very concerned my pulse was extremely high. United Healthcare said they are denying the claim for the hospital stay because I was considered "stable."

It appears that as long as you are awake and not flatlining, UHC won't cover your hospital stay because you are "stable." They say I should not be charged by the hospital (yeah right) and to call their 800# if I receive an invoice. This letter came yesterday, just waiting on the hospital bill which I KNOW I will get. What is the point of insurance if the one time in a decade you go to the ER and are actually admitted to the hospital because the doctor says you need to be admitted and they won't cover it?

Original review: July 8, 2021

For 8 days I have been battling with these people for my prescription, over that period of time my doctors office has been in contact with them on at least 3 different occasions to express the urgency, my pharmacy 2, 3, 4 times a day, I myself everyday for 8 days. Still no authorization, yet from day one I am told 24 to 48 hrs, here I am a week later and still nothing. I've gotten a different lie each time, I've been through the wringer with these liars. Amanda, William, Kevin, are the latest today alone. I have just paid out of pocket AGAIN for prescriptions that they are supposed to cover. Prescriptions they've covered in the past. Almost $400.00 a month in premium payments on top of the employer payments and they are the worst, corporate thieves in healthcare. Do yourself and your wallet a favor go elsewhere for insurance. I will be.

Original review: July 7, 2021

My insurance was canceled due to New York State of Health stating that I have an open insurance policy with United Health Care. They told me that to reinstate my insurance, I would need either a letter of cancelation or a letter that states that I do not, and have never had an open insurance policy with United Healthcare. I have been calling United Healthcare for over 4 weeks now. They tell me I do not have an active claim with them but the only person who can help get me the letter is a supervisor. Every single time they cannot connect me to one and they just state that a supervisor will call me to help me with the letter I require. A supervisor to this day has never called. I have been calling every day or every other day for 3-4 weeks+ and all United Healthcare does is bounce me around different departments and then hang up on me. At this point I'm wondering if the only thing that I can do is proceed legal action because I am at the end of my rope.

Original review: July 6, 2021

My husband has a needed medical procedure. The medical clinic sent in paperwork on June 25 to get authorization, as of July 6th he is still waiting to be approved. Spoke with a supervisor and she stated it could take up to 14 days. I can't believe it can take that long, he could be dead by before it gets approved. At least the clinic gave me warning sign to look for and if they appear to get him to the emergency room. This is not good!!!

United Health Care author review by Joseph Burns

UnitedHealthCare is the largest single health care carrier in the United States. It currently covers approximately 70 million Americans and contributes large amounts of money to medical research every year.

• Lots of options: UnitedHealthCare provides a wide range of plan options for individuals, families and employers.

• Offers Medicaid plans: Low-income consumers may be able to get Medicaid insurance through UnitedHealthCare.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Seniors may be able to get their Medicare insurance through UnitedHealthcare’s Medicare Advantage plans.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

United Health Care Company Information