United Health Care

Compare Health Insurance Companies

Research top Health Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

This place is a scam. You need insurance but you can only get meds from whoever this company is in bed with, at the time. I go to get a script filled... they won't cover it. They tell me what they will cover under my plan, I get the new script and they won't take it. This place is a joke. It's only going to get worse.

I let them know in plenty of time I DID NOT WANT to continue their $65 a month prescription plan into 2017. They said I had to submit a SIGNED FORM and of course by the time they mailed it to me and I returned it they said it was too late. TOO LATE THEY WERE NOTIFIED IN TIME. Even though I contacted them WELL before the deadline they REFUSE TO let me cancel. Saying they will ruin my credit rating if I stop paying. So I sent in all the $ they requested or all the money they extorted from me. Now to punish me for trying to cancel their FRAUD PLAN they're saying they never got the money and to send more money. I already paid it. DON'T SIGN UP UNLESS YOU PREPARED TO KEEP IT FOR LIFE.

I have cancer. We've paid our premium and the check has cleared. Despite talking to dozens of UHC contacts, I do not show up in UHC's system as having any insurance at all. This is so frustrating. We get assurances every time, yet every time nothing changes. This is incredibly stressful. I don't need this right now. Wish we would've gone somewhere else.

United Health Care having the worst customer care unit ever. I am following a claim for more than 1.5 years. I made 150+ phone calls to United Health Care people and their Supervisors. They will simply respond in the call and 0 actions from their end. I am too much frustrated with the service provided by United Health Care.

Last year with their Student Health Insurance, they rejected every basic annual blood test my doctor ordered. The reason they gave was that she used preventative codes and should have used diagnostic codes. So this year I told her what happened and she tried using diagnostic codes. Of course I had to call and make sure stuff was covered first and turns out they won't cover a basic cholesterol test.

After having to call them FOUR times I give up. They kept giving circular excuses and saying it should have had a preventative code instead of diagnostic code, and I asked them to explain how was everything from last year rejected because they said preventative codes shouldn't have been used. They couldn't explain it and just told me the same circular nonsense and to get my provider to call them. I guess in India maybe there are doctors who are willing to call the insurance companies but not in America. So if you like paying for coverage that doesn't get you basic blood tests and Indian customer service that doesn't want to answer your questions and help you, you'll love United Health Care!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

I hate United Healthcare!!! What is the point of paying over $10,000 a year in insurance and they won't even approve me getting a shingles vaccines, because I am not old enough? Well, guess what?? I was old enough to get shingles, so I'm old enough to get the vaccine. If I get shingles again, United will pay for my pain and suffering!

This insurance sucks. You are doing your employees and family a disservice to choose this for your company or family. You will be transferred 5 times at least every time you call, denied coverage for everything and will have to drive over 30 miles for any kind of specialist plus high deductible. They have never not once solved any issue for me. When you advise them you have been transferred 5 times they don't take responsibility for crap service. They are rude to you and tell you why they can't help you for the 15th time. Sorry is an understatement, I would fire them all, but I am convinced the goal here is not to pay, so transfer, transfer, transfer. Stock shares are up profit great. All things come to an end. I hope this company sees theirs soon.

Worst health insurance carrier I've ever encountered. The latest (of many) is a representative told me on the phone that a certain hospital was covered. They even sent a precertification letter. Only after the surgery did they say "sorry, not covered". Apparently if you know where to look on their website, there's a place where certain hospitals are excluded. The website listed this particular hospital as in-network, but then they go on to exclude them... But again, you have to know where to look for exclusions. So UHC makes the mistake of telling me verbally the hospital is covered, and then they send a precert letter. And then oops, they made a mistake, and now I'm going to have to go through the appeals process and hope I can get them to pay it.

Let's start by me disclosing I have 35 years' experience working in the health insurance industry. Since most people don't really understand insurance, I am frequently helping others, including my family members, to understand their coverage & help resolve claims and billing issues. I never sold insurance, but I usually managed Call Centers & trained reps how to work effectively with customers. My specialty was resolving escalated situations. I have never worked for United Health Group, nor would I in its present state of confusion & Customer DIS-Service!

My Dad is 95 years young, one of the few remaining WW2 veterans and a very good man. He has had the SAME coverage through United Health (usually called AARP Medicare Complete or Secure Horizons) for 10+ years. In the past, I have been able to call the Customer Service Department & resolve issues or claim mishandling with little problem. And remember, I UNDERSTAND insurance terminology & contracts! No longer can I reach a rep & effectively correct matters.

My Dad was hospitalized February 3, 2017 after a bad fall, resulting a in broken hip & shoulder. Hip replacement surgery is not a good option, so the Orthopedic Specialist recommended Monday Feb 6 that we transfer Dad to a Skilled Nursing Facility, control his pain & reevaluate surgery in 2 weeks. So Internet whiz that I am, I brought up Dad's policy info on the United Healthcare website to view contracted Skilled Nursing Facilities (SNFs). I have done this many times before, with few problems. This time the website said there were ZERO approved/contracted SNF's in the area, which I KNOW is incorrect. I didn't want to call Customer Service, but I had no choice. I explained to the rep, Chad (he spoke perfect English with no accent!) that there was a system problem on United Healthcare's end, since we are in Dallas TX & there are many UHC approved SNF's. I asked him to look some up, including a specific one we were considering.

After his insistence (his system showed the same thing) that there are NO approved SNF's in Dallas, I begged, I pleaded, I cried - "PLEASE write this up & escalate it to your superior." I am trying to save my father's life, he's been your customer over 10 YEARS & I know Dallas has SNF's contracted by your company. He refused, saying I should call facilities myself & ask them, while I am at the hospital every day at my Dad's side. I was on the phone with Chad (he should be fired) for over 1 1/2 hours & he would NOT write this up for resolution or take my cell number for a Supervisor to call me back with an answer. I know you are HUGE, United Health & it is obvious what my Dad means to you - NOTHING!

During this conversation, which drove me to tears and rage, I happened to notice that the provider search function on United Heath's website re-directs you to some company called Rally Health. It appears United Health has subcontracted this function AND others to Rally Health. So the Provider Search Function is botched up, not working, hospitalized client's family member is TOTALLY disrespected & the UHC rep never heard of Rally Health, nor was Chad interested in getting any answers for me!

All I can say is, GOOD LUCK to any client of theirs without an aggressive advocate like me that is insurance savvy! Even the Orthopedic Specialist told me to get true Medicare for myself when I qualify, NOT UHC Medicare replacement. I will NOT recommend this company any longer! I'll also be reporting this fiasco the State Board of Insurance.

And as to Dad? He's still in the hospital, waiting 2 days now for United Health's approval to transfer to a CONTRACTED SNF that I found on my own, even though UHC says there are none in Dallas Texas! Wonder how long before they figure it out & get it approved! I'll also post this to my contact at forbes.com. UHC owes their customer a little respect & maybe the benefits stipulated by their contract!

I am a patient with a history of 5 heart attacks, quadruple bypass, 9 stents, 16 trips to the cath lab and a pacemaker and I'm only 45 years old. I have been battling heart problems for almost 15 years. In November last year I was finally diagnosed with Familial hypercholesterolemia prior authorization submitted, test results and everything require to get approve for **. Was done by my cardiologist in Tampa and I was approved for 12 months of the medication in November. I went through the training for the medication with a specialty nurse and started treatment. To my surprise my cholesterol was down from 250 my LDL or bad cholesterol was 331. I move to Lehigh Acres FL and went back to the same cardiologist that I had before moving to Tampa the year before and my nightmare started, they canceled my medication.

First they said that it was because I change providers which doesn't make sense because if that's policy you should be allowed to see your new provider to make the necessary changes before canceling the medication approval, then they said that since the medication was denied I had to file an appeal even though it was them who messed up. I was promise that someone with authority in the company will contact me, somebody from corporate office named Nicholas ** called me on Monday February 6 at 9:48 in the morning and told me that my appeal went through and I was again approved. I waited a day before calling pharmacy and I called today and was told that I still wasn't approved. I called United Health Care back and was told that my appeal was denied because I didn't have the right to an appeal with no explanation. After much complaining I was told again to expect a call from corporate. Still waiting.

All of this has been happening after many hours on the phone with 20 customer service reps that have apparently no training, 20 supervisors that only can read what's on the screen and have nothing else to say other than "we are sorry, we apologize" and corporate moguls that think that they are above the people who pay their salary and don't care about people's health cause we are only a money sign. It's all about revenue. I am also contacting an attorney because this people don't care about patient rights and something has to be done. I also didn't described in detailed the rudeness of some of the employees, the lack of consideration and much more.

I am a single mother. I make a relatively decent wage, in that I can afford food, a roof over our head, a car, but that is about it. When my company switched over to UHC this year, we all thought it was a great deal. They were able to keep our premiums at the level they were the previous year with an insurance company we had used for years.

I received the shocker of my life when I found out (and believe me, I have scoured my paperwork high and low. This information is ONLY on the WEBSITE) that I had to pay my ENTIRE $10,000 deductible, before ANYTHING would be covered. Not even preventive care doctors visits. I make $32,000 a year, before taxes. Between my premiums, the insanely high deductible (for 2 people), rent, car insurance, electric bill and child care (totals $23650). I'm left with $8,350 to live on for the year. Now consider that out of that $8,350 I still have to pay taxes, food, phone, gas in the car, oil changes, car registration, school registration, field trips, school books, medication, co-pays, the list goes on. It kills me how in this "first world" country, we have the WORST healthcare coverage and premiums in the WORLD! UHC is the worst, absolutely worst.

I woke up one morning to discover I had a wisdom tooth poking through my gums. UHC is my dental provider. I had just recently gotten UHC and did not have a dentist in network yet, so I searched on the website for an oral surgeon within 30 miles (I live in the Detroit area so a densely populated suburban area). I was 11 phone calls in to the list before I found an oral surgeon that actually took my insurance from UHC (again, a list provided by UHC specifically for my plan). She told me that they have to do an initial consultation, and then send paperwork to UHC to approve the procedure.

When I asked how long that takes, she said it would be a week before they could get me in for a consultation, and about 10-14 days to receive approval from UHC. About 3 weeks. I'll just remind you, I have a wisdom tooth visibly poking through my gums, pressing in to my back molar, causing a decent amount of pain and difficulty eating. Something a 5-year-old could tell needs to come out soon before it gets infected. And my insurance company thinks its acceptable to wait 3 weeks.

So I tried to call UHC for help, at 9am ET. First I looked on the company's website, where I could not find a customer care phone number anywhere. The only option was to submit a form with a question and they would contact you the next day. Ha. Then I remembered there is usually a phone number on the back of the card so I found that and called it. I had to speak to a human being for my problem, but apparently 9am ET is outside of business hours and I need to call back during business hours, only they don't tell you what business hours are. Awesome. I ended up just going to an oral surgeon I had used in the past and paying for it out-of-pocket. There was no way I was waiting 3 weeks. That is unbelievably ridiculous. I was lucky enough that open enrollment was still going on. I cancelled my UHC insurance while I still numb from the surgery.

Do not do it. I made the HUGE Mistake of switching to Dual Complete One... Now I can't get a doctor. They lied. There's no extra Dental. Nothing!!! And now I have no Medicare A/B. They take over... THE WORST EVER!!!! All the Dr. on their list are Dead or Retired. Now I can't get out without forms that I can't get !!! It's insane.

This insurance is the worst. You need to keep verifying the doctors are in network if you can find one. Just because the insurance website might state they accept this insurance every time you go VERIFY. Also be prepared to constantly call the customer service number to find out why the bills aren't being paid. This insurance isn't worth the alleged cost savings. So far to date no claim has been paid.

United Health Care, it almost killed my 7 month old son because it did not want to approve a surgery to let him breathe! My son was forced to get so ill that he was brought to the ER and they sent him right to surgery! How dare an insurance company who has never seen my son, dictate what he should or should not have done! It is the worst insurance company! Parents fight for your loved ones because United Health Care does not care about you or you loved ones. They only care about how big their wallet is!!!!

Husband fractured 1 of his lumbar vertebrae & is developing degenerative disc diseases in his lumbar spine. He has been having severe pain for the last 2 1/2 months. He is taking muscle relaxer & pain medication but it not helping. His primary care doctor says he needs physical therapy. We called United Health Care to find a in network PT, gave that info to primary care who then put in for a referral.

After 10 days we finally got the referral. It is for a foot and ankle institute & they do not even take UHC yet UHC customer Service gave us this doctor knowing it was supposed to be for a back injury. I have spent the past 3 days on the phone calling UHC Customer Service & different therapist to find one that will take Navigate HMO. This is very frustrating & time consuming. Now that I have finally found a PT that will take this insurance, I have to give info to primary care doctor so she can start the 10 day referral process all over. This is so wrong, we pay our premium but can not get any services. Their customer service is no help either. My husband is still in pain.

If I could rate them a minus I would!!! This company has got to be the all time worse company I have ever had in my 38 years of being an adult and having health care. They do not provide Health Care they provide additional stress and issues for you the consumer to figure out. They make you jump through an enormous amount of paperwork, "that they mail to you because they cannot provide it electronically". I am appealing a pre-authorization that was done 3 days prior to appointment and then on the evening of the surgery they call to let 4:35 he was denied!!! I have had other issues from the first day of our policy transfer not just this one isolated incident! They are not concerned about anyone's Health except for their own bank account.

I had a dental claim that I called United Healthcare the day before to confirm Services would be paid and recorded the phone call knowing it was questionable whether it would be covered. The first person stated yes it would be covered for sure on the recording. Just to be sure I called a second time and got another person and they said the same thing that it would be covered. Then my dentist office emitted the claim and they covered it. 3 months later they sent a claims denial demanding a refund from my dentist office, and my dentist office had to pay it or they stated they would not cover anyone else with United Healthcare at that office until paid back.

I have contacted my college roommate who happens to be a lawyer to go after the $575 bill. Just a side note I am an executive currently with an insurance company and know how Insurance works that is why I got it my I's and crossed my T's, but still got screwed over. Just look at their one-star rating before doing business with these Crooks. Do yourself a favor and go with Blue Cross Blue Shield if you have any option.

I have had a complex foot injury for 14 months. I have been to four orthopedic specialists at Brigham & Women's Hospital and Mass General Hospital. They all inform me my injury is too complex for them. There is ONE doctor that was recommended who can perform the surgery, as he is a specialist who treats my complicated injury. (Dr. **) Dr. ** is Out of my network in his private practice where he could perform the surgery. He is IN-NETWORK as a physician affiliated with a hospital. According to the Doctor, in order to treat me and perform the surgical procedure needed, he needs to get in network approval.

I sent a letter stating this and UHC responded and denied my request for GAP EXCEPTION, (term used to get a dr. in network that presently is not) UNC said Dr. ** is in network and can treat me, and provide the same services as Dr. **. I called Dr. ** and got an appointment, and sent my medical records to her in advance, so she would understand the complexity. Dr. ** called me two hours before the appointment and said she could not handle my case. I told UHC, and they said I needed a note from Dr. ** stating she couldn't treat me. Dr. ** said she wouldn't issue me a letter. UHC said I would have to file another appeal stating this and they would review my claim again.

In the meantime, they called and stated there were two other doctors in network that could perform the same procedure. I spoke to Dr. ** office and he said he is only in network when associated with a hospital, but not in his private practice, where is where he would have to see me. (SAME STORY, SAME RESULT) UHC is preventing me from seeing a doctor (Dr. ** or **, for that matter) that has already committed to me that he can treat me, as he looked at my medical records. My heel is twice the size it should be, I'm unable to walk on it, and have been like this since Nov. 2015. It has now been 15 months without any relief. My foot is turning purple, swollen, numb, hot, then freezing cold. It hurts every day. I can't wear a shoe, and lately can't even fit a sock over it. They are causing undue harm due to their negligence. This is just so wrong and I don't know how or where to go from here.

I had originally canceled my membership over a year ago and just checked my statement. Till this day I was still getting charged, decided to give them a call assuming it was a mistake and I was going to get my money reimbursed. Obviously that didn't happened, basically they said I was out of luck, so I basically gave them my money for over a year for no services provided!! I never once used the plan!! So disappointed with them!!! Will never ever use them again. They lost me as a customer!

I have an overactive bladder and fibromyalgia, I have to go to the doctor pay the expensive copay. I get a prescription for medicine, if doesn't work, after paying the high copay for the medicine, I have to go back to the doctor and pay another copay to get a script for another medicine and pray this one works. Well you find one that finally works, they pay for it, with a $50 copay. Well one day United Health Care says "we aren't paying for that medicine anymore!" So you have to start the vicious cycle over and over!

For both of my health problems they have done this to me! I call to ask why? "If this medicine finally work, why would you make me pay more money? You more money? I don't understand!" Their reply, they didn't tell us why, they just won't pay for it any longer! Just start over! They put me on hold, hung up on me, transferred me numerous times, didn't help me at all! I am so fed up with this company! It is through my employer is the only reason I keep it! Do not get United Health Care if you have a choice! They are basically worthless!

I had the opportunity to remove a small cyst as part of an in-office procedure by an in-network physician specialist. I asked my UHC representative what would be the expected costs for this procedure according to my UHC coverages. The UHC representative said "your only costs would be the co-pay for the specialist visit of $60". I asked the UHC representative if they were sure and they said "yes - because it is an in-office procedure and you do not need to go to the hospital for surgery."

A month later I received invoices for nearly $900 for the procedure, biopsy, etc. So, I started calling UHC in early November 2016 and was informed that I have a special supervisor that would handle my case due to the type of plan my company has with UHC. Over the next month I must have spoken to a half-dozen or so representatives and left multiple messages for my "special supervisor" - she never returned any of my calls. Finally, in December, a UHC representative said I could file an appeal and explained the process to me. So, in mid-December I wrote a letter to the UHC Appeals Department explaining all the details and to why UHC should pay the ~$900 in medical expenses. (After reading some of the other complaints about UHC on this ConsumerAffairs website - you can probably guess the outcome of my letter and efforts.)

I received a response letter a month later than the date it was received by UHC and of course my appeal was denied by a "Resolution Analyst"... I wonder what education level and training is required to achieve that qualification...? The response was that "information given by a UHC customer service representative is not a guarantee of payment." How irresponsible.

So now I am going through another level of the UHC appeal process with the... Wait-for-it... "Central Escalation Unit". Sounds important. But I'm assuming another 1-2 months of runaround to receive a second impersonal computer generated denial letter - unsigned by a UHC representative whose name is typed at the end of the letter as to be somewhat official... Just like the first letter I received from UHC's Appeals & Grievances Department. Good luck to my fellow citizens in battling your insurance company... They must have some powerful lobbyists to make sure they avoid providing excellent treatment of citizens and to avoid any serious repercussions.

My United Healthcare Silver 4000 Plan account was "never allowed" to be utilized after numerous recorded attempts in a 5 month time frame to get the technical/administrative issues corrected. United Healthcare directly cost me hours of time on the phone trying to correct technical/administrative issue with no resolve and United Healthcare never provided the services of "basic peace of mind/security of medical insurance". I never received insurance cards after four separate 30 day attempts and the online system would not allow me to pick a primary care doctor because it would error that the account was not active.

The administrative issue started when the first plan (United Healthcare Silver 5000) was canceled January 2016 when the first initial sign up payment was late arriving for January activation. The late payment was received and deposited into an escrow account and the Silver Plan 5000 was terminated.

The marketplace then required me to apply for a new plan and would not allow the Silver 5000 to be reactivated for the February deadline using the money being held by United Healthcare in escrow. I chose the United Healthcare Silver 4000 plan as the new plan and made all payments moving forward for February sign up. United Healthcare keep the escrow account money for 60 days before moving to my Silver 4000 plan. During this time my account showed 30 days pass due because it believed I owed for January Silver Plan 5000 and the Silver 4000 plan never really activated, no cards would be sent to me and the system would not allow for website self-serve like picking a primary care etc. United Healthcare never provided any basic insurance services, but they did provide 5 months of instability and more than a few hours of phone time.

I made three or four phone calls with United Healthcare and the Marketplace which required me to fill out a new application to make address change. Always being told the problem would be corrected in 30 days and check back. The “no services rendered” is not just about a card or instructions/benefits or even competent customer service. The reality is the system would not let me even pick a primary care giver for me or the family. It would error out. The system kept trying to see the Silver 5000 plan and would not give me insurance under the Silver 4000.

When you pay premiums as a customer you should have the basic security that if something medical were to happen then medical insurance is active, you have cards, you have a primary physician etc.. My family and I never received that security or peace of mind. Then I receive a notice from United Healthcare informing me the company is pulling out of Alabama and I need to find a new provider. United Healthcare received $2,468.35 from me and nearly $4600.00 from government subsidy and never gave me basic administrative needs or even access to the services.

After we met $3000 annual deductible for the year (mid 2015), our son ended up in ER on Dec 7 2015. United Healthcare refused and still refuses to pay in-network rates for an emergency room visit our son received on Dec. 7th 2015. After 2 years, the provider is still after us for the money. United Healthcare was legally obligated to pay. After MANY calls, and being on hold “while they research the issue” their customer service is useless. They even say "yes we should pay for this. I don't know why it's not" and they never do. I filed complaints and still nothing. United Healthcare is the most UNETHICAL company and even our employer said that they are switching providers for that reason.

My family of 5 have been members for barely a month. Will pay over $10,000 per year in the premium, plus a $2,800 family deductible and cannot get generic prescriptions covered despite doctors' office letters and phone calls. One Rx is for my 12 year old daughter who was diagnosed with ADD 6 years ago and has been on the same medication for the last 4 1/2 years. United Healthcare will not cover it unless she tries 3 alternatives first! She is in the middle of her school year, underweight, and cannot swallow pills. They want her to try **, or 2 other medicines first, one of which cannot be opened and sprinkled on food, which is the only way she can take her medicine. The 3rd one they want her to try lasts barely 1/2 as long so she would not have it in her system by the time she does her homework and gets tutored so would have to take another pill and then be up all night.

She already has to take ** some nights to fall asleep on the ** that she has been taking for 4 1/2 years successfully! She was held back one year due to falling behind and her ADD. She is now getting all A's and B's and United Healthcare does not want to pay for this generic drug until she tries cheaper alternatives. This is criminal negligence in my opinion and my husband and I are both lawyers. What's worse is that her doctors office appealed their decision on 12/12/16 and here we are, 1/24/17, and no decision has been made. When I call they say that there is no record of a pending prior authorization and to call my doctor's office.

When I finally pressed the issue with United Healthcare today, they told me that it was in the appeals dept. since 1/17/17 and they had 48-72 hours to make a decision from the time they receive the appeal. She could not explain why a decision had not been reached and she could not give me a phone number to call nor a fax number to write to. We have already paid out of pocket for the last refill when coverage was denied. The cost was just over $200!!

I selected UHC as my managed health care plan for Medicaid in NE. From the beginning, they have NOT been able to CORRECTLY send my member card with the CORRECT Primary Care Physician whom I have been seeing as his patient for 17 years and wish to keep. They have arbitrarily assigned me to a Dr in ANOTHER STATE! TWICE!!! Despite the fact I spoke to and complained to a Supervisor at UHC who said she would personally CORRECT the problem. She lied to me.

The UHC staff had called my Dr. who is in Network and I have been a patient of his for 17 years. UHC misled the Dr's office staff and they denied me from being a "new" patient. I called UHC and they called his office back and gave them the correct information. UHC sent me a new Member ID with my Dr.'s name on it. The same day in the mail, they sent me card assigning me to a Dr. in another state!

I called and complained to a Supervisor AGAIN. They said my Dr. I selected is my Dr and they would correct the card and send me a new card - even though they already sent me one. Today, I received a new Member ID card. With the name of the other/WRONG Dr. in another state!!!! AGAIN!!! So, this morning I have to do battle with our nation's most incompetent employees AGAIN and listen to them AGAIN worm their way out of responsibility for the continued ** ups. And then have to wait for a new card AGAIN.

How on earth do these incompetent people hold a job when they don't pay attention to detail AND do their job RIGHT??? I am seriously ill with several fatal conditions. UHC is ENDANGERING MY LIFE by not allowing me to go to the Dr of my choice who has kept me alive for 17 years. If you are choosing a managed Health Care plan in NE to receive medicaid care, please be aware of how poorly managed health care is provided by incompetent nincompoops who can't follow simple requests, simple instructions so their consumers can receive consistent medically necessary health care. Be prepared to self advocate strongly and aggressively and hold them accountable for their ** ups. Or you may risk death through the fault of poorly handled managed health care.

United forces us to get our medication through OptumRx. OptumRx, has one star and over 1000 complaints on consumeraffairs.com, for good reason. OptumRx messes up my children's mail-order prescriptions EVERY time so that we run out of medication. My husband, my doctor, my pharmacist and I have to spend a few hours, collectively, every month just to get refills. These are not rarely prescribed medications.

Since mail-order is a large part of Optum's business, I don't know why they cannot get it right. They also frequently reject our prescriptions saying that they do not have the proper doctor authorizations. I call United and United can see the proper authorizations, so why can't Optum? Optum made us switch from a generic to a pricier brand-name medication for my children's daily medications. Doesn't that seem backwards for an insurance company to do? I wish United would see the harm (literally) they are doing to their customers by forcing OptumRx upon us.

Ok, first, the company CPP Bloomington who could care less about the employees, turns off light to save money in below 0 temperature so that would tell you a lot right there and #1 ratings, is the other companies comparable reason, besides my husband only given this one option and me having a disability insurance have really suffered severely, much more than I ever did before they became primary over my medicare, treating their members like people waiting on food in deprived countries.

A customer service people that won't let you get in to talk to the staff that is necessary to talk to to get the care you need. I really hope people make this joke of a place exempt from their choice since we now have the freedom to choose who we desire and I do pray that Donald keeps his word. Now I'm saying hats off to Donald Trump on the insurance every person have the right to choose who they want as their provider. Bye bye United Health Care. I believe you're the first to go Saranac **. Now go to the unemployment line all of you disrespectful customer service losers.

Over the past 7 years, I have experienced poor customer service, violation of my HIPAA Rights, low level Tech's offering prescription advice, with no medical training or formal pharmaceutical training. I have reported these violations to United Health Care and was told they would've addressed. Nothing was addressed. Today, I called in reference to a prescription I knew was in my queue to refill and was TD by Jesse **, CS Rep, that my Dr. TD them to discontinue the medication. I had already contacted my doctor and knew that was not true. Then, he changed his story and said, since my doctor prescribed a different medication, the system discontinued it. What a load of crap... I asked to speak to a Supervisor and he immediately told me that nobody was available, but he would have one contact me within the next 72 hours. How can a company run a business under these pretenses??? Maybe, they need to be investigated...

Furthermore, I have reported that OptumRX online system has not worked at all for as long as I have been enrolled they program. Today was no different. When I asked to speak to a Technical person, Jesse TD me that he could not let me speak to the technical Dept. They did not take calls from clients. I would just have to know that most of their clients were not having issues and would have to try again later. I am a techy person, build computers, work on everybody's computer and probably have the faster internet speed in my area, but I was treated as though I had no clue and I was nice. This is it... No more...

The worst insurance company on planet Earth! Useless staff, everyone will tell you a different story when you call. My doctor submitted an appeal (STAT) exactly a week ago, come to find out they do not have it in their system when they DID last week! I am on chemotherapy and stopped it because UHC dropped it since Jan 1st of 2017 without NOTIFICATION. Oh I hope you can sleep at night monsters!

Expert Review

Joseph BurnsHealth Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.    More about Joseph→

UnitedHealthCare is the largest single health care carrier in the United States. It currently covers approximately 70 million Americans and contributes large amounts of money to medical research every year.

• Lots of options: UnitedHealthCare provides a wide range of plan options for individuals, families and employers.
  • Offers Medicaid plans: Low-income consumers may be able to get Medicaid insurance through UnitedHealthCare.
  • Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Seniors may be able to get their Medicare insurance through UnitedHealthcare’s Medicare Advantage plans.
  • Best for Senior citizens, heads of families, employees