3.7/5 (1217 ratings)
Shop Now  on ShortTermHealthInsurance.com
Call Now Toll Free
Shop Now on ShortTermHealthInsurance.com

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About United Health Care

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

United Health Care Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

So, I am 74 years old, retired with a pension from the Teachers Retirement System of Texas (TRS). I retired in 2002 and at that time TRS provided deal, vision and health insurance in different tiers of care. The higher the level you chose the more the premium cost. Three years into retirement and the dental and vision had gone away and the premiums for health care were more than I could afford. As soon as I was eligible for Medicare, I opted out of TRS and went with United Health Care the AARP program. Wow, what a difference. Health care, prescription drugs, dental and vision coverage all at a cost I could afford. All was well until I hit 73 years of age, now here I sit after three strokes and a heart attack. Still covered by the same policy.

Yes I have had to pay my share but I am able to do that thanks to my retirement and supplemental coverage by the Veterans Administration, Army Veteran 68-69, and the premiums have not gone up. If I have a question, or I think a doctor is gouging me, I call United Health Care and they take care of the problem. They are really more than my insurance provider, they are my advocate for my health care needs. I don't even think about my health insurance anymore. I know it is covered.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

I receive United Healthcare Medicare Advantage through my retirement from the State of Texas. I believe that it is the best healthcare offered in the state of Texas. I have been extremely pleased with all provisions so far. It is superior to the healthcare it replaced in January 2021 (Humana). There are many updated benefits aimed toward wellness that I believe will reduce healthcare cost in general for the company and for the individual client.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 29, 2021

Great connection network. Easy way to make appointments with specialists. Nice reviews and recommendations. I am new to this insurance, but it is working perfectly so far. I totally recommend this insurance because it is very practical and rated.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

We are members of the UHC Advantage plan2. My wife’s doctor prescribed ** topical GEL 0.75% for her. At CVS pharmacy it was charged $122.93, the UHC search shows $96.41 for a retail chain pharmacy. Why is such discrepancy please?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

My wife had a recent gynecologist procedure, which involved an outpatient stay in our local women's hospital and for her to be put under anesthesia. I delivered her to the hospital in the morning and picked her up in the afternoon. All was coordinated and facilitated by the caring doctors and nursing staff. To include calls prior and calls post op. The procedure was a success and kept my wife from needing a hysterectomy. Thus it was proactive. Additionally, all of this was covered with no copayments for either the hospital visit or the associated medical prescriptions. Overall, we're 100% satisfied.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

Got a new account via the exchange. Can't sign in to new account because it defaults to old one. Been trying to get a hold of customer service for a week and a half. More than eight hours on the phone with various customer service agents from various departments, from old department to new one to IT to web services. No one can fix it. No one offers any kind of solution. At most they tell me to keep trying and maybe it'll be fixed next time. No solutions. They simply do not care.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

Ask what's going on and you tell them, but they don't get it unless you are about to jump off a bridge or hurt yourself, if none apply it's like, "How can we help you" and but not if it was their family or love one. This alone may send you to the bridge to jump. All that's wants to be really answered is, "Are you thinking about hurting yourself or someone." In having started/had my own support group for women, there's a lack of understanding that someone's life in your hands could mean the difference between life and death for that person. I felt like I had no one to really listen to what I was saying [I'm mentally, emotionally and physically broken-exhausted]. WHO cares not many health care professionals.

After that call it put energy back into my soul to try and help anyone man or woman to learn to encourage yourself because you never know who the other person on the other side of that line is or their intent. Are they getting you off the call for a break or lunch or the end of their day to go home. Are they there just to have a income or is it truly from their heart and something they enjoy doing. Have they ever experienced a mental breakdown, which not even required a ER visit. What was it like to truly lose someone that they loved with their whole earthly being. No most are beyond feeling for anyone that they don't know personally except their own, calmly thinking next.

Yes they don't know us from Adam or Eve, they wouldn't know us if we walked right up to them. True therapist/counselors feel with their heart/mind and not their want to just take the next call although we wouldn't know it, but they are there looking you in your face watching your reactions. Not these persons, although there's some very good counselors whom you will never meet but they will always stay in your heart because of the empathy and kindness through their voice and voice only, because you never meet them. Everyone and anyone has to be mindful of the powers, we have within our selves without having to rely on persons whom may not have our best interests at heart and my call to the behavioral mental health department today brought it back to me full circle. I will never ever again give???? that power again, no matter my outcome, life or death. Only God has that will and power.

My life good and/or bad means more to me than the paycheck???? makes off of having me as a client. I truly hope that the recording is pulled and listened to. Someone's family whom may have the fund's and ability to address these types of insults and injustice practices will not let it just go and their love one is no longer a part of this earthly world as a result of neglect on???? We have put an end to negativity when it comes to our health care and well-being. Good Luck as we all go about making better health care systems & plans. I wasn't really sure if I could use the name of the health care company so I removed it to try and be safe and make all aware of the powers we have within ourselves until we can get to trusted professionals with taught education to guide me along the way. Good emergency help is out there so keep a backup plan just in case you're ever in a mentally dysfunctional state of mind.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

BTW, I AM STILL SLEEP DEPRIVED. My prescription from my doctor was on 11/18/2021. It is now December 10th and UHC continues to block paying for it. THAT’S 28 DAYS. WTF? BTW, I AM STILL SLEEP DEPRIVED. Have been on the phone multiple times for hours trying to get United Health Care to approve payment on my prescribed medicine. Originally my doc wrote a script AND pre-authorization for ** to Walgreens pharmacy. Unfortunately, Walgreens errored and sent in a request to UHC for payment of a “generic” **. Good catch, or so I thought.

After even more time spent on the phone with a UHC customer service rep last night, everything was supposed to be “Resolved”. He called Walgreens, explained the situation and said he verbally gave the go ahead. You can imagine my shock and anger when Walgreens put in the request for payment for ** to UHC this morning and it was DENIED. More phone calls. Then they just told me to START ALL OVER AGAIN. I’m to call my doctor and have her write the same prescription again and write the same pre-authorization. EVEN THOUGH THEY HAVE THE ORIGINALS! BTW, I AM STILL SLEEP DEPRIVED.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

Health insurance world is complex and United Health Care Company makes it more convoluted. I UHC took my monthly premium payment of $1,349 and refused to cover a much needed double hernia surgery. I am attaching the "paragraph" in my United Health insurance policy that they are hanging their theory on for not covering the cost of my hernia surgery. They claim that unless it is an emergency hernia surgery is not covered. My condition met the criteria of emergency based on their definition.

They define "Emergency" as defined as: 1.) recent onset and severity including but not limited to severe pain (my pain began and has increased over the last few months causing me to see Dr. ** for his professional medical advice), diagnosed and call for correction coming from a prudent layperson, (Dr ** would qualify...lol, and his recommendation is to take care of the condition sooner than later), failure of me addressing the issues can result in placing my "health in serious jeopardy" (Dr. ** told me that if I did not address this problem that it can become strangulated. Doctor **, and every article I read online, states that strangulation is serious and even life threatening.) Based on the above evidence and United's own definition for emergency I believe that this surgery should be covered but I was wrong. They stole over $13,000 in ten months from me and would not cover the needed hernia surgery. Should be criminal!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

I went to my in network dentist in october 2021 for dental work. United Health Care contract with my dentist expired in June 2021. Like I am suppose to know that!! Who terminates a contract in mid year. I spent over 2 hours on the phone trying go get them to pay. I had to pay out of my own pocket!!! I am running away from this company. Going to either anthem or devoted. They have better coverage anyway.

United Health Care author review by Joseph Burns

UnitedHealthCare is the largest single health care carrier in the United States. It currently covers approximately 70 million Americans and contributes large amounts of money to medical research every year.

• Lots of options: UnitedHealthCare provides a wide range of plan options for individuals, families and employers.

• Offers Medicaid plans: Low-income consumers may be able to get Medicaid insurance through UnitedHealthCare.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Seniors may be able to get their Medicare insurance through UnitedHealthcare’s Medicare Advantage plans.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Advisor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

United Health Care Company Information