United Health Care

Compare Health Insurance Companies

Research top Health Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I am new to this insurance and have had nothing but issues from the very beginning. I have taken a medication for over 10 years and when switching to this insurance I've had hurdle after hurdle to get authorization for it. Once I got authorization, which has to be authorized on a yearly basis, I had moved so I had to switch PCP's and now I am having to jump through the same hoops just to get authorized again. That is utterly ridiculous, I have now been at the pharmacy for almost two hours still waiting because I am out of my medication I can not go a day without.

I have stage 2 breast cancer. Have been under same doctor's care for 2.5 years. Recently my marker # has been rising, so my doctor suggested we do a PET scan to check for cancer elsewhere. However UHC denied me the PET scan, but approve for a CT Scan of the abdomen, and pelvis. Had to wait another week for approval for chest scan. Upon returning to doctor for results, it was recommended that I have a bone scan, and or PET scan. However they have denied me once again. It's a shame that they are allowed to play with people's lives in such a careless way. I'm beside myself with worry, wondering if I might have cancer somewhere else, and yet this so called insurance company doesn't even care. When it comes time to sign for renew, I won't hesitate to turn it down. How this company be allowed to play with people's lives. They should be investigated to the fullest.

I started AARP Medicare Complete insured thru United Healthcare in Jan. 2017. It has been a nightmare! My primary care dr. recommended a new cholesterol lowering medication. I have been on ** drugs with ** for several years and not achieving the desired results. DENIED. OPTUMRX would not transfer my prescriptions so all my drs. has to send them new ones and then wait for processing and mail delivery.

My biggest misunderstanding was about the catastrophic $4,950.00 out of pocket. I have spent approx. $4,800.00 so far in prescriptions so I called them to clarify future payments. I will still have copays of 5% of the prescription total. So then I asked about my copays on my medical because I pay $10 to see my primary and $50 to see a specialist. The medical is a DIFFERENT $4,950.00 catastrophic out of pocket. TOTAL OUT OF POCKET should be advertised as $9,900.00!!! Even that amount is incorrect because United Health does not pay everything after you have reached this level of expense. I pray I don't have to be hospitalized this year. There is something VERY WRONG with this insurance company.

I've had United Health Care coverage for about 5 years. My employer allows employees to change coverage once a year, as all companies do now, in November. Right after I selected my plan for 2017 and was locked in, UnitedHealthcare informed me the medication I have been taking for years for a long-term health issue will no longer be covered. They offered alternatives (which made no sense, because the alternatives were more expensive than the original drug). Since I had no choice, I asked my doctor to change the prescription to one on their "preferred" list. I haven't felt right since. I have gone from having no symptoms with a well-managed disease to feeling sick all of the time.

Forget trying to appeal. The answer is NO. Whatever sweetheart deal they have going with certain drug companies is more important than patients' health or saving money. Had these bottom sucking scum feeders told me before, instead of immediately after I was locked in to their plan, that my medication was no longer covered I wouldn't have signed on. One other thing to consider if you are considering this company: they will call you to the point of phone harassment, several times a week, trying to get you to use their mail-order prescription service, which has horrendous reviews. No thanks to that also.

I have a growth on my foot. I've had 2 specialists now look at it and they both agree if I don't do anything to it then it's just going to keep getting worse and eventually need surgery. Because of the location, they would prefer not to operate as there is a chance of paralyzing my foot. They recommended a cream. It costs $200 for about a months supply. United Healthcare refuses to help pay for the cream. Last year I had to spend $3,000 on a hearing aid as again United Healthcare refused to help pay for it. So I ask, why do I have insurance? I pay for everything anyways. Most worthless company on the planet.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

United Health Care has debt collection agencies calling me when my insurance was cancelled trying to collect on months unpaid. Now when I started my insurance with them I had to pay a month in advance to have coverage. This policy continued throughout my coverage. No if I hadn't paid a month in advance or payment crossed paths with their account receivables I would receive notices that my coverage would be discontinued. How am I in collections for November and December if my last payment was in September?

Services at emergency: terrible! I am pleasantly surprised, however, that TRICARE West/UnitedHealthcare's grievance process is an avenue beneficiaries can access to complain about medical services and care. I had Type A Influenza, fever, chills, etc., and due to chronic illnesses (asthma/hypertension), flu symptoms exacerbated my symptoms. I was hypoxic and vomiting. I was rushed to the local hospital, then transferred to a hospital with better resources/care. After lingering for upwards of 8-12 hours in the "better" hospital's corridors, constant PROMISES/ASSURANCES of admission to a ward, I voluntarily left the hospital. Bypassing the disturbing portions of my hospital, emergency room stay/care, suffice it to say, medical care administered to me was well, below average. At the end of this AMA departure, my insurance is billed for $15k+!

After recuperating at home-- took 3 weeks to recover-- I wrote a length, grievance letter to TRICARE West, now partnered with UnitedHealthcare, about substandard care I received at the hospital to which I was transferred. 30-days later, TRICARE West/UnitedHealthcare responded, saying further investigation is necessary because it did "appear as if there are medical care issues at this hospital." Wow! I recommend that anyone dissatisfied with ANY insurance companies, denied claims, or "screwy," provider billing generating denied claims, first contact the insurance company. Agents are usually willing to assist. TRICARE West had a few departments that were a little slow, but they eventually got the job done. I digress.

My point is that I wanted TRICARE to know I did not want future care at the subject hospital via a grievance, and they are actually investigating my visit. I think they should be commended. Lastly, always remember, everybody's got a boss. No satisfaction? Call the oversight for medical insurance. Every state has one. It seems kind of amazing how quickly questions are answered, and snags are resolved when you request assistance from THEIR (the insurance company's) watchdog! UnitedHealthcare has some communication problem solving in some department sort, so I only have them 3-stars. But if the response to my grievance is any indication of UnitedHealthcare's abilities, I think insured should give the company a chance.

We just had a baby and they are holding up the claims now for 2 months since receiving it. They claim that the claims are complicated and it takes more time. There were no complications. Having a baby is a standard procedure. Our in-network, UMR Top Tier pediatrician sent my son back to the hospital after being home for 3 days due to jaundice, yet another standard procedure. UMR denied the claim saying it wasn't medically necessary. Apparently UMR doesn't trust their TOP preferred providers to make the proper medical decisions. The provider has the medical degree not UMR. The provider is the one who actually physically evaluated my son not UMR. If they want to practice medicine then set me up with an appointment. This company is destroying healthcare insurance.

I cancelled my dental and medical insurance back in August 2012 because I was no longer self employed and had started work with another company and had new medical and dental through them. My medical had no issues with the cancellation (assume because it is against the law to have 2 medical plans at once). I just found out that United Health One/Golden Rule started at some point to deduct the dental insurance premiums back out of my checking account. I have gone back 10 months and they have been stealing monies out of my account without my permission after I had cancelled both medical and dental.

I called today and they say the best they can do is cancel it as of today but the monies I have paid will be lost. I told them it is against the law to carry 2 plans and they said on dental it is not. Imagine that?? They have screwed me out of at least $2,600.00 over the course of multiple months. BUYER BEWARE - DO NOT USE UNITED HEALTH ONE or GOLDEN RULE. I will be contacting the district attorney in the home state of United Health One to try and resolve this. They have never sent a policy premium update, never sent a notice of premiums going up. NOTHING. If I could give a negative rating I would. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!

I am absolutely disgusted with how United Health Care has treated me. First and foremost, they have randomly decided to drop the coverage on one of my medications (**). This was something that used to be covered, and now it is not. Secondly, EVERY SINGLE TIME I have gone to pick up my second medication (**) I am told to call and "opt out" of some sort of mailer? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Why can't I depend on this health care to cover the whole reason I need it? Some people don't have insurance yet the ones that do... Basically don't. There is nothing very "United" or "Caring" about United Health Care so far. Good luck to those who have it.

I have been taking a medication for my lower back, went to refill the medication, still had refills available, got denied by United Health Care OptumRX, no prior authorization. I have been taking it for over 2 years and had NO issues with Caremark. Doctor filed prior authorization, got denied, file appeal, got denied. I tried the suggested back medication, one did not work at all, the other gives me severe side effects, filed another waiver/appeal, got denied.

What is UP with this??? I am in intense pain, cannot sleep at night, all United Health Care OptumRX says "I'm sorry you're having so much pain and discomfort and cannot sleep". They tried blaming my healthcare team. BULL! Try to get approval for my asthma medication, running into the same issues. I will run out by the weekend. I am allergic to the suggested medication which causes cardiac issues. Still fighting this one. I refuse to pay for mail order meds. Why is United Health Care doing this to the retirees of the State of Texas partnering with OptumRX who are play games with our healthcare.

United Health Care is utter gutter garbage!!! This so called company is absolute garbage. I am counting the days until I can cancel this garbage and get something else except I fear the alternatives aren't much better. How evil this healthcare system is with these lowlife politicians neglecting and ignoring the American people, letting this disgraceful system decay and fester all these years and these slug doctors and medical companies profiting from this suffering.

United Health Care approved by AARP means nothing. AARP is just another paid payoff. Most doctors don't take this garbage insurance and those who do are garbage doctors. You must suffer with endless back and forth. If you call they won't give you any answers. They just keep sending cards. I have gotten 5 cards already and no service. Many reps don't even speak clear English. They are sending the calls to South America. Their guide to find a doctor is full of errors. Some numbers are disconnected or not the right specialty labeled. Most doctors aren't even taking new patients. How the heck can weak and sick people fight for care?? It is absolute cruel diabolic horror to be part of this system and let it continue to fester!!! Note to media: having insurance isn't healthcare if it is garbage insurance or not usable - which is what is offered in Medicare, Medicaid and Obamacare.

We have had continuous coverage from UnitedHealthcare for many years, I believe at least 5, probably more. Up until this January we have had very good service. As of January they have denied coverage for a RA medication that my wife has taken for 13 years. In fact she was part of the initial drug study 13 years ago. As of January United Healthcare decided to deny coverage of this medication she has taken for 13 years and has been covered after the study ended ten years ago.

After the denial of coverage was received the doctor recommended a new medication. In order to get this new medication approved it required us to engage in tens of hours on the phone for a period of 3 months. Each call resulted in a finger pointing game. United Healthcare pointed the finger to the doctor, the doctor confirmed they sent all information, United then pointed to the Specialty Pharmacy. The Specialty Pharmacy then in turn pointed to United Health Care as the roadblock in approval. This circle of blame dragged on for months and required hours on the phone day after day. During this time my wife had no medication and her condition deteriorated drastically and in turn she suffered intense pain.

The drug was finally approved however the side effects were terrible and resulted in my wife not being able to eat. The doctor recommended her to stop taking the medication immediately. There was one drug left the doctor recommended. Again we went through the circle of finger pointing for months and hours on the phone pushing this prescription through the approval process. United Healthcare has since denied this medication. The only medication left my wife can take for her severe condition. The doctor submitted the prescription a second time, again denied.

The physical and emotional toll the denial of medication coverage has taken my wife and family is enormous and cannot be overstated. We are at the end of a road with no solution. Denying all possible medications that treat her server RA has put my wife on quick path to disability. She will be unable to walk or type on the computer resulting in her inability to work. United Healthcare has in turn prescribed a death sentence. Without medication for severe RA severe pain will take over her ability to cope with life. The rapid deterioration of her joints is non reversible. They are inflicting great harm both physically and mentally.

I work for a dental office in Missouri and we have several patients that are insured through United Healthcare. For the past year we have been having major issues with United Healthcare paying on claims. We send the claims electronically and never receive payment. We first started receiving denials back stating the claim was denied because no X-ray was attached. They require an x-ray for every service so we started sending them along with the claims. Then, when I call to check on the claim status UH says they have not received our claim and we should resend the claim. The second time I send it I choose to send it by mail and then call after a couple weeks to make sure they have received it. Again, they say they still have not received the claim.

I ask for a fax number but they tell me they cannot receive claims by fax. Every time I call I verify the payer ID and mailing address and everything we have been sending the claim to is correct. This happens with every patient of ours and UH acts like this is no big deal. We finally had to stop sending claims for our UH patients and required the patient to file the claim themselves. I have noticed several other complaints for this same reason. I would not recommend getting UH for dental insurance and would not recommend that any other office be a participating provider. This insurance company sounds like a scam and they try as hard as possible to not pay on claims for insured members.

Since being demoted to the United Health Care Community Plan in February, I have had nothing but trouble with their prescription coverage. First, they would not cover one of my daily prescriptions, the only one in its class that did not come with side effects that I already struggle with naturally. I just had to stop taking medication for that problem because I could not afford it out of pocket.

This week, I was unable to have a prescription for diabetic test strips filled. After three days of going back and forth with the pharmacy, the doctor's office and finally calling UHC, I found out that UHC would not fill the original script (that originated with their company policy not two months ago) until a month from now, but would be willing change the entire glucose monitoring system (meter and strips) and fill that script, instead. Tell me how that makes sense? Meanwhile, I haven't been able to test for two days. This insurance has been nothing but a headache and I can't wait do be done with it.

Thank you for being the absolute worst insurance company in America and possibly the world. I wish my job cared more about its employees and not pick the absolute lowest bid. It's a shame that working people have go through the wait and pain of dealing with your company.

I am a 48 year old male who has being treated by a doctor for acid reflux for numerous years. In August 2016 my wife told me that I am stopping breathing while sleeping at night and she believed I might have sleep apnea. I contacted my doctor who agreed that because of my wife's observations and other risk factors that he would like to have me tested for Sleep Apnea at a hospital doing an in hospital sleep study. This information was sent to United Health Care who denied the in hospital sleep study for numerous reasons including my BMI was not over 50, there was not history of heart problems, and numerous other reasons that did not seem valid.

After getting the denial my doctor appealed the decision 5 times and the sleep study was denied each time but an at home sleep study was offered on the fifth denial. My doctor told me that the at home sleep study was basically useless and if it did show sleep apnea and in hospital study would still be required to properly set the CPAP mask. The at home sleep study showed moderate sleep apnea and proved that I stop breathing multiple times in an hour.

At this point you would think that United Health Care would be onboard to help me their customer but think again. According to a Nurse Practitioner (not a medical doctor) my Sleep Apnea is not suffer enough to warrant a in hospital sleep study and that my doctor can set the CPAP mask flow level using the limited results from the home sleep study. My doctor stated that the only way to correctly regulate the sleep apnea is to have the CPAP mask flow rate set by the tech during the in hospital sleep study. United Health Care has denied the in hospital sleep study again and there is no way left to appeal the denial. My work is changing insurance from United Health Care to Blue Cross and Blue Shield in September and hopefully they are better. At this point I am left hoping I don't die in my sleep since United Health Care is not concerned with my healthcare and is only worried about saving money. Worst health insurance in the company!

I called up United Health Care to try to find doctors in our area that they use. We could not find any in our search so we just wanted to narrow the search to their list. After I spent 20 minutes on the phone answering questions and being placed on hold. I gave up. IMHO, United Health should close its doors and the city should make its current location into a park to reverse the karma of this hideous place.

For a year now UHC is giving me the run around about a durable goods item that is covered, but that their primary provider does not carry, Preferred Homecare. So I am told that I need to get pre-authorized. I call preauth- they say the item does not need to be authorized since I don't need prescription, IT does if I want to get reimbursed! Over a year and my son still wears these patches to the tune of about $1.30 a day. It gets expensive! At this point I am told that a preauthorization must be called in from the Dr.'s office. The Dr.'s technician spent 50 minutes on the phone calling these people, and called me and said it was all set. Even insisted on a preauthorization after the person said I would not need one. When I called to confirm I can buy the patches for my son's eye, they said they had no record of the Dr. ever calling.

After an half hour they found record of a call, but not what was discussed. Explained that the only way I can get preauthorized is if Dr.'s office calls again! Then, to add insult to injury - they send me to escalations, who answer the phone, "Escalations" Really? You are going to act like I am the problem? Thank all the powers that be that my son is not dying because I do not think that UHC is capable of getting ANYTHING done for their clients. So far I got 2 checks reimbursing purchases from last year in February.

No kidding, I got info from the state of CA that they have had over $600 of my money for five years. I have not moved in 25 years, I have been using them (NO MORE) for over 20 years. So how is it that United Health Care can't find me? They HAD my address and supplied that to CA... I called them, and of course, a recording. I need to MAIL them the forms, etc... and it may take TEN WEEKS for them to process. I am furious. The lady at CA State Controller was nice, but said, "you might want to find another company to deal with". That made me laugh.

What the heck is the best thing to do when you receive a phone call asking “if you have An American Birth Certificate to be employed by us. If you are naturalized citizens we are sorry. You need an American birth certificate.” What!!! It's the new practice at United Health. Think before applications.

It's a good thing I'm not dying because waiting on their team is ridiculous. I'm so disappointed in this insurance. I should have never switched!!! It's been HELL. They're telling me it's the dr's office. No, it's their team. They need to get more experienced people! I've never had to deal with such ** in my life. I've been without and anyone that knows you can't go without medication when you have been on it for years! I should have just stuck with my other insurance! I'm so beyond upset! I could scream. I've literally stayed away from people so I don't hurt or cuss someone, or burst into tears! I'm a freaking mess! It's all BECAUSE I'VE HAD TO WAIT ON MY **!!! A week now.

United Healthcare (UHC) notified our office in February 2016 that it was time to re-credential our provider, who had been credentialed and re-credentialed every 3 years since June 1997. I sent UHC all of the information required to re-credential the provider. Three months later (May 2016), after not having heard from UHC, I called the credentialing department and found out that they had not begun to review the information sent to them. In August 2016, I again spoke with the credentialing department and found out they had still not begun reviewing the provider's information. Meanwhile, our patients who had United Healthcare medical coverage could not be referred to specialists for necessary treatments.

Only "in-network" primary care providers were allowed to refer patients. Therefore, our patients with uncontrolled diabetes, heart problems, kidney problems, asthma, COPD, head injuries, traumatic brain injuries, vascular problems and eye problems could not be further treated by specialists. In September 2016, I sent a complaint to the Oregon Insurance Commission regarding the inaction of United Healthcare to re-credential our provider. I received a letter from them stating that they have no authority over the credentialing process. From November 2016 through February 2017, I called to get status of the re-credentialing and was told each month that the application had been processed and approved and that If we have received the contract, to please sign it and return to the credentialing department. If we have not received the contract, we should expect it to take 30-45 more days.

In March 2017, I called the local United Healthcare representative, whose contact information was given to me by UHC customer service. She said that we were approved December 26, 2016 and since we didn't respond, the provider was deactivated. I asked her how we could respond when United Healthcare credentialing department did not send us anything via mail, e-mail, fax, or telephone. She apologized and said she would take care of it herself. Due to no response again, I sent a letter of complaint to the Oregon State Attorney General's office. They answered back with a letter stating that they will keep my complaint on file and when they receive more of the same complaints, they will act on it. Today is April 18, 2017 and we have not received any contract by mail, fax, nor telephone message about the provider's re-credentialing. My concern is for our patients who are put in jeopardy because they cannot receive necessary treatments.

I took this insurance the beginning of this year. They gave me a primary Dr other than the one I requested. My Dr for 10 years takes this plan. The Dr I was assigned was no longer even in practice and a non working phone on my new ID card. It took >1 month to get my primary back. They were stalling until I told them if I request new primary, it was to take effect the following month. Then I got my Dr back. Then I needed a referral from UHC United Health Care to see the neurosurgeon that fused my neck. It wasn't approved and every time I called I was given false information. I had to call my Dr and tell her I still hadn't been approved, and she said she has the approval - for a couple of weeks I was in limbo.

My surgery was a success and took ~80% of the neck pain away. Now I am weaning off of extended release medication, and my first request for 1 month is >$950 without insurance approval. It needed a prior authorization. My Dr called it in. A week went by... I was running out of medication, and a UHC representative suggested I have the Dr call a special number for an expedited 3 day approval process. I called on day 3 and the 3-day request is denied. I have to wait for 3 weeks--of working days to get my answer. I have to wait until April 26 or so to find out!!

They Suggest I take **. It's like **. I have been on the highest dose of extended release for a couple of years, and they want to experiment with the non extended version. They simply do not care!! That's why I want to tell people about this. I worked 30 years as a nurse, and I've never been treated so terribly! When I meet a $3300 deductible, everything will be covered... If they approve the referral or the medication... BEWARE the purchaser of UHC if you need any medical care!

When I signed up with UnitedHealthcare RX plans through AARP I was told that my prescriptions would be anywhere from 1 to $3 and the one description I have would be no more than $25 or a 30 day supply. Also I had to pay a $400 deductible. The first 30 days I paid the $400 deductible. The price of their medications was higher than what they quoted me. Now they are not lowering their prices to what they should be according to their quoted prices. Or a 15-day supply a low dose of my medicine is $35 and yes that's generic. Another medication called ** is a generic and they want to charge me $35. Also they now tell me that you have to go to certain Pharmacy. They never discussed anything about Pharmacy with me. They said they'd send out some type of Welcome package that explains everything. Well I guess I was unlucky and I didn't leave one.

I called customer service and I was told basically it's not their fault that these are different tier medications. I am on a fixed income Social Security and I was told that my medicine would be anywhere from 1 to $3 and the expensive one for my pain meds would be no more than $25. Just the two prescriptions I am trying to get are $35 each. That's $70 and I don't have it. I was told by their representative Kristine which is supposed to be a supervisor that there's nothing she can do about it that's just the way it is. I don't like being taken advantage of because I'm on Social Security and I have physical disabilities and medication disabilities and they are using that to discriminate against me with higher prices on their drugs than what was quoted to me.

The first month alone I cleared and pay the $400 deductible which was designated by them. They control there how much and when the pay it on prescriptions. Now they tell me that Rite Aid Pharmacy is the one who collected the $400 deductible and not them. So in a nutshell if I change Insurance RX companies I lost the $400. It wasn't supposed to be this way. Basically the supervisor told me I am up the creek without a paddle and there's not anything I can do about it. This is just how it is and they're going to charge me whatever they want. She told me one of the prescriptions for $35 is a $50 prescription and I asked her is that cost that Rite Aid is going to tell me it cost. Well she changed her story and she would not give me the price of what it would cost. Just the standard discount card that doesn't cost anything for Rite Aid to give to you is going to make the medication cheaper than $35.

This Christina was supervisor. Was evasive, unclear, unhelpful, uncaring, and plainly just did not give a hoot. He said that he can disenroll me from UnitedHealthcare plan. Hey you said that I would have to go to a cheap Pharmacy because Rite Aid is not there for pharmacy and their prescription cost is different. She said at $50 and they're only going to charge me $35 they paid $15 for this medication. My monthly premium's only $34. I don't know what to do. I'm disabled I'm on some heavy medications and I feel like I have been taken advantage of and just ran through the wringer and I don't know what to do. I'm on a fixed income and I just don't have the $70 for the two prescriptions I need around somewhere. UnitedHealthcare is not a place that I would recommend to anyone to do business with. I wouldn't even have them as a pharmacy plans for a pet.

If anyone out there has any suggestions would you please get in touch with me. I just don't know what to do next. I just know that they charge me so much money for my prescriptions the first 30 days that the $400 deductible was net. How can these companies used and abused our elderly people. I do not understand why we don't have better coverage, more affordable coverage and being told they correct things when we sign up for these programs. Again at no time was I in any way shape or form that I had to go to a bargain discount prescription store. I was told my prescriptions only be $3 and my pain medicine would be no more than $25 for a 30 day supply. It has gone to regular anxiety medicines to pay $35.

I guess since they were getting all these high prices with the deductible and mine they decide just to keep charging the customer an outrageous price so they can make the bottom line, they can make more profit at the expense or disability. Disabled people and the Social Security recipients' carry the load. Why cannot the government or somebody get involved and help us so we do not have these companies like UnitedHealthcare rape us, Rob us and basically put us in the poor house without anyone over seeing what they're doing and probably nobody cares. I care about me and I care about the other senior disabled people that have been hurt by UnitedHealthcare RX plans. It's supposed to be covered while it's supposed to be certified by our Social Security Department Medicare and also AARP.

I did talk to AARP and they were very helpful and lodging a complaint with UnitedHealthcare to try to resolve this problem but I'm sure that they're going to come up empty as I did. I do appreciate them trying but I don't see them able to do anything better than I've already tried to do. So listen UnitedHealthcare RX plans or anything to do with UnitedHealthcare is a bad idea period. UnitedHealthcare in any way shape or form is not in your best interest so do not take any plans policies with this company if you do not want to get screwed. They told me basically that take my silly problem down the hall, pay their price, do what they tell me to do and then everything will work out just fine.

I don't know how it works out fine for I guess that means them. UnitedHealthcare is just a proper cheering company that should not be trusted or believed in any way shape or form. UnitedHealthcare is a bad company in my view. I would not wish UnitedHealthcare on to anybody. Say no to UnitedHealthcare. Say no to UnitedHealthcare. I wish somebody would tell me that before I got suckered into UnitedHealthcare. Thank you. God bless. Happy Easter. Thank you again.

I have been with United for over 2 years now. I haven't had many complaints until the past few months. It started when we made the mistake of changing our FSA to automatic payment instead of getting debit cards. They fail to make it clear that the auto payment ONLY applies to your health insurance, not vision, dental, etc. So when we have those expenses we now have to pay out of pocket and manually submit a claim for reimbursement.

I submitted a claim in December, didn't hear anything back for a few weeks so I called to check in on this. I was then told that it can take 4-6 weeks for claims that are mailed in to be processed and added into the system. I was told to check back. I called back in January and was told that there is still nothing in the system so I needed to send or fax it again. I do not have access to a fax so I asked if there was any way that I could submit online or email, I was told no. So I mailed it again. Called again in February and was told again that nothing had been processed and to call again later. Called again and was told that it was never received and to send AGAIN. Finally I had to find someone that could fax this for me. It was sent on March 21 and I received a confirmation from the fax company that 4 pages were sent and received.

My husband was speaking to someone on a different matter on April 3 and asked about the status of our reimbursement. He was then told that they only received 1 page so they could not pay out. It absolutely baffles me that NO ONE could be bothered to call or email us to let us know that what they received was incomplete and they needed us to fax again. They were just going to not pay it.

I have never had to spend hours and hours on the phone over a 3+ month period just to get reimbursed from our FSA. This is ridiculous. Every time I call whoever I get says that they can't help and need to transfer me to someone else, I then ask what number I should use to call back (since the one on our insurance card isn't correct apparently) and when I call the different number I get the same story. I have now sent our claim reimbursement form in the mail twice and faxed twice, it concerns me greatly that my information is getting lost and that I have to babysit this company to make sure that things get resolved. After just spending another hour on the phone and getting transferred 3 times I was finally told that my entire fax was received but that it will take them up to another 30 days to get the check to me. I'll believe it when I see it... It is April 11 and I have been working on this since December. It should not be this difficult.

On another aggravating note, we are part of a program that allows you to get "lower" premiums if you complete an annual wellness assessment. Great idea! Too bad United is not accountable for that paperwork either! Somehow my assessment paperwork was not entered into the system by the third party company that handles it. Out of all the hours I was on the phone with United trying to get my reimbursement, not one person mentioned to me or my husband that my wellness assessment was marked incomplete. They told me I needed to get my "well woman exam" and do my health coaching, but not the assessment. We just received an email that our premiums are going up $500 a year because this was not entered into their system.

I called and asked who I needed to resend the paperwork to but was told that "Sorry, it's too late. There is nothing we can do". They then told me to call the third party company that receives and enters the information, but when I asked if they found my paperwork with the date of October 2016 on it if everything would be taken care of, I was told no. So now we are paying even more to them each month. There is no sense of accountability whatsoever.

My biggest advice to anyone who goes with United is to babysit every single thing that you submit. Do not think that because you sent something direct to the company or you don't hear that there is a problem that everything is fine. They will not contact you if there are any problems with your claims or accounts, they just won't pay it or will charge you more. It would be hard for me to be any more disappointed.

United Healthcare denied coverage of test strips to test 8 times per day as requested by the doctor. Then, they rejected covering CGM supplies because they said they didn't have proof of frequent testing. This is absurd. How can you reject frequent testing and then reject because you don't have proof of frequent testing. They are in the business of taking money in premiums and saying no. Denying coverage for covered items. They are the worst. Awful company. Awful policies. Awful people who don't care about what it says is covered. They don't know what's going on.

If you are considering using them for coverage - DON'T. You will be angry, frustrated, and feel like you are wasting money. Be prepared to spend hours and hours on the phone and writing letters to get what is supposed to be covered. They need to be investigated for fraud - they say they cover things and then they don't. Unless you are prepared to fight for EVERYTHING you are paying for, DO NOT USE THEM.

Don't use this insurance. Everyone at this company has only one purpose: how not to pay for the claims. They won't listen to you at all. Customer service is worst. I wasted my 2-3 hours talking to the customer service and they weren't even ready to listen. One of the customer service representatives even told me: "Sorry, it wasn't convenient for you to have fainted after 5 PM". I am not sure how they are surviving but I am sure they won't survive for long. Everyone working here is very unprofessional.

Worst. Insurance. Ever. My husband's employer's healthcare option changes every year (obviously, to save money). This year (Sept. 2016 - Sept. 2017) they chose United Healthcare's All Savers Plan. We've had several issues with them. I'll tell you about three of them. My husband tried to call them on a weekend in regards to going to an Urgent Care facility - they don't have weekend hours. There's just a recording stating their hours and days (Monday through Friday). Apparently, they don't believe anyone insured through them should or may have an emergency on weekends (or holidays, for that matter). If we have to go to Urgent Care or an emergency room on a weekend or holiday, it's likely that insurance verification won't be had.

Last year, my husband was due for a scheduled colonoscopy. It took 2 weeks to try to find out exactly what All Savers UHC would cover and what his co-pay would be. The day before the scheduled procedure, we were shocked to find out that it wasn't covered at AT ALL. Because of a previous colonoscopy some ten years' prior (different insurer) where they found and removed 4 polyps (he's had another clean colonoscopy before this last scheduled one), we were told that the procedure was deemed diagnostic and not preventative - therefore, they wouldn't cover it. I asked if, should my husband develop colon cancer, would treatment for that be covered; they couldn't (or wouldn't) answer that question.

The last incident I will tell you about concerns the injection to prevent Shingles. In February, he received a prescription from his physician authorizing the injection for Shingles through our local Walgreens. When we arrived at Walgreens and they checked his prescription, we were informed that his insurer would not cover the injection and he would have to pay the $250 out-of-pocket. We left at that point. Called a few other pharmacies to price shop but apparently the price is pretty fixed. We were told, however, that given my husband's age, the insurer should cover it. My husband called the representative that sold the policy to his employer and he was told to pay for the shot and submit a claim and he would be reimbursed.

After the claim was submitted, however (don't get me started on their useless website), we waited. And waited. They have 45 days to reimburse. Instead, we received a statement in the mail, showing that the cost of the injection had been applied to his deductible. He contacted the representative again, who stated they shouldn't have done that. The representative (he's an independent agent) contacted All Savers and instructed them to reimburse him directly. Again, we wait.

My husband calls All Savers again, as the website where his account is doesn't show you ANYTHING except your personal information - no claims status; nothing. He was informed by All Savers that the amount would be reimbursed to Walgreens and he'd have to go back to the pharmacy to receive his reimbursement. WHAT??? Walgreens has already been paid!! Again, call the representative. The rep calls back and says a check was cut for my husband that day and he should receive it in about a week. This was several days ago and we're still waiting.

Their customer service people have little to no information regarding what you're covered for; they read the status of your claim off their screen and cannot answer questions directly. They have no weekend hours. And they won't cover a colonoscopy that may prevent a very expensive-to-treat disease? Really, the worst insurance I've come across.

It is impossible to use their WEBSITE and I can never reset my password. It asks for security questions and when I enter the answers, it says they are wrong. And it is EXTREMELY hard to get in touch with a live person. It gives you a lot more options that I do not want and then it reads something about the IRS and then when you finally get to a representative, all they do is read whatever is in front of them. Like most people, I don't know much about insurance plans but I don't want to pay for everything out of pocket and that's why I have insurance. That's why I pay every month... I think I deserve an answer when I ask how my insurance policy works. Instead, all I get is smart ** cc agents who probably hate their jobs and cannot do it right. I shouldn't have to request to talk to the broker who helped me in the first place because customer care CANNOT do their job. This is ridiculous!!! I hate this company. Might have to look elsewhere. They suck!!!

Expert Review

Joseph BurnsHealth Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.    More about Joseph→

UnitedHealthCare is the largest single health care carrier in the United States. It currently covers approximately 70 million Americans and contributes large amounts of money to medical research every year.

• Lots of options: UnitedHealthCare provides a wide range of plan options for individuals, families and employers.
  • Offers Medicaid plans: Low-income consumers may be able to get Medicaid insurance through UnitedHealthCare.
  • Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Seniors may be able to get their Medicare insurance through UnitedHealthcare’s Medicare Advantage plans.
  • Best for Senior citizens, heads of families, employees