3.8/5 (2065 ratings)
Shop Now  on ShortTermHealthInsurance.com
Call Now Toll Free
Shop Now on ShortTermHealthInsurance.com

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About United Health Care

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

United Health Care Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

So, I am 74 years old, retired with a pension from the Teachers Retirement System of Texas (TRS). I retired in 2002 and at that time TRS provided deal, vision and health insurance in different tiers of care. The higher the level you chose the more the premium cost. Three years into retirement and the dental and vision had gone away and the premiums for health care were more than I could afford. As soon as I was eligible for Medicare, I opted out of TRS and went with United Health Care the AARP program. Wow, what a difference. Health care, prescription drugs, dental and vision coverage all at a cost I could afford. All was well until I hit 73 years of age, now here I sit after three strokes and a heart attack. Still covered by the same policy.

Yes I have had to pay my share but I am able to do that thanks to my retirement and supplemental coverage by the Veterans Administration, Army Veteran 68-69, and the premiums have not gone up. If I have a question, or I think a doctor is gouging me, I call United Health Care and they take care of the problem. They are really more than my insurance provider, they are my advocate for my health care needs. I don't even think about my health insurance anymore. I know it is covered.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

I receive United Healthcare Medicare Advantage through my retirement from the State of Texas. I believe that it is the best healthcare offered in the state of Texas. I have been extremely pleased with all provisions so far. It is superior to the healthcare it replaced in January 2021 (Humana). There are many updated benefits aimed toward wellness that I believe will reduce healthcare cost in general for the company and for the individual client.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

My wife had a recent gynecologist procedure, which involved an outpatient stay in our local women's hospital and for her to be put under anesthesia. I delivered her to the hospital in the morning and picked her up in the afternoon. All was coordinated and facilitated by the caring doctors and nursing staff. To include calls prior and calls post op. The procedure was a success and kept my wife from needing a hysterectomy. Thus it was proactive. Additionally, all of this was covered with no copayments for either the hospital visit or the associated medical prescriptions. Overall, we're 100% satisfied.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

During the last 2 years, I have had serious health issues, requiring numerous hospitalizations and an organ transplant in 2019. United Healthcare was there for me every step of the way. Coverage was phenomenal, customer service was outstanding. They provided an RN to monitor my case and work with me throughout my journey. They provided T&E expense reimbursement for my travel to my hospital - Jefferson U. Hospital - which was a center of excellence. I can’t say enough about how fantastic UHC is. I will be sorry when I have to switch in January, 2021.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I have a lot of experience with United Health Care. The good is that they are accepted at a lot of places as being in network. However one issue I seen with this is I had to take my son to the emergency room and when I got the billing back, the emergency room is in network, however the attending physician is not and is considered out of network. That is really sad cause I cannot say I want the emergency room but not the doctor. I have to watch their billing a lot cause they did not credit me for all of my payments for prescriptions but after I pointed it out to them they rechecked and found like three of them they never credited and then I got a refund for those.

The rates they have negotiated with hospitals are ridiculously high. At the local hospital I went to get blood work. It was a full blood panel and an ASO titer test. At the hospital it cost me almost $900 for this bloodwork, and that was after the negotiated rate. Prior it was like $1500-1700. But I next had the exact same blood test, but this time had it drawn there and sent to Labcorp and my final price was $32. So when I complained about the hospital gouging me the insurance said well that is what they negotiated so it is acceptable for pricing.

As long as you keep following it and pay close attention then it works well. It is expensive but that is what our company had negotiated. Only other issue I have had with them is hitting the family deductible and the maximum out of pocket expense. My wife had surgery and that allowed us to hit her deductible and the family deductible. However when I got something done, I was charged the full amount not the discount after deductible. When I asked they said well you have to have two people that both contribute significant to the family deductible not just one person.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

I called to inquire about my payment. After being transferred 3 times and 45 minutes later I was told I was talking to the wrong department. I was then transferred to the prescription department and disconnected. I called back the next day and told the agent what I was calling about, transferred to billing who didn't speak clear English, put on hold 3 times and finally after 1,5 hrs have up and hung up.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

I called UHC last week to ask for counselling services. I was asked a series of questions then I was placed on hold without any notice just to be transferred from place to place for about 5 hours! Run!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

I contacted UHC for pre-approval for an appointment with Psychologist. They told me that all the "out of network" Psychologist services are fully covered in my plan. But after submitting the bills I was told that any consultation greater than 59 mins is not covered. Most of the consultation are for 1 hr so the limit of 59 mins was kept intentionally to reject the claims. That was also not explained during preapproval. Another issue mentioned by them to reject the claim was that the tax_id number should be of the doctor and not the facility. This was also not explained in advance.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

DO NOT USE THIS INSURANCE CARRIER if you plan on doing anything more than regular Dr. visits. Anything past routine Dr. visits will not be honored/covered, despite what they say. I have a Dr saying I need a surgery for my health and the chat rep said it was covered but when it came to the Dr. to verify coverage they have declined it twice. What am I paying for?!?!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

They told me my plan would cover extraction, found out from dentist it doesn't. So I called UHC again, got additional coverage, they said would cover extraction but not so again. So I went round and round with them and now they say the manager call me in 2 days. They didn't want to switch me because I changed once already but it's because of you people at uhc who do not know your own plans well at all. Bad experience.

United Health Care author review by Joseph Burns

UnitedHealthCare is the largest single health care carrier in the United States. It currently covers approximately 70 million Americans and contributes large amounts of money to medical research every year.

• Lots of options: UnitedHealthCare provides a wide range of plan options for individuals, families and employers.

• Offers Medicaid plans: Low-income consumers may be able to get Medicaid insurance through UnitedHealthCare.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Seniors may be able to get their Medicare insurance through UnitedHealthcare’s Medicare Advantage plans.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

United Health Care Company Information