Compare Quotes and Save

Find Short Term Health Insurance

Shop Plans Today

1522 United Health Care Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 17, 2019

Overall they are pretty good - I haven't noticed many services that I have had (which are many) to be declined but I haven't received my last statement showing some very difficult situations. There are way too many things that you have to have exceptions done and 9/10 you are denied mostly with medications, And of course the cost of the medication is exorbitant. Once I get in the donut hole, I will have to go off the medication as $400 a month for a disabled 64 y.o. on SSDI is certainly something that I can't afford,

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have always had excellent experiences with UHC and Optum in the past, which makes this recent experience all the more outrageous and frustrating. My partner takes **, an ADHD med and controlled substance. He has lapsed in taking his medication for over a year because of difficulties filling his prescription after his company switched insurance providers (from Cigna to UHC). After experiencing a number of difficulties stemming from this lapse, he recently chose to begin his medication again. He had been told in the past that UHC would not cover a 90-day supply of a controlled substance; however, a UHC representative told him on the phone last month that a 90-day supply would be covered - IF he ordered through UHC's very own mail order prescription provider, Optum.

As a direct result of that conversation, my boyfriend acquired a 90-day prescription (rather than a 30-day) from his doctor, mailed it in to Optum with an additional payment for overnight delivery, and waited two weeks for their response. When he reached out to them, he found that there was an issue with his address that they had failed to contact him about. After he spent 45 minutes correcting that issue over the phone, he waited another week for his prescription to arrive. It did not. Neither Optum nor UHC reached out to him, so he called again. This time, he was told that the first representative was "misinformed," that he would need a prior authorization from his doctor for the 90-day supply, and that he would either have to get only 30 days of his prescription filled (leaving him 60 days without a daily medication) or pay out of pocket for the 90-day supply.

His doctor cannot cancel the prescription and rewrite a 30-day prescription because ** is a controlled substance. Please let this sit with you. A man with a diagnosed medical condition has sought out appropriate care and found a medication that helps him with minimal side effects. Unfortunately, an inept, greedy, and "misinformed" company has kept him from complying with his doctor's recommendation. This is NOT a regulatory issue. Optum is now happy to provide my boyfriend with 90 days of this controlled substance, nearly a month after his initial request but UHC won't be paying for it.

The full sticker price will be paid by the consumer, who is already paying for health insurance from a company that's riddled with hurdles, red tape, and staff who don't know their own policies. I've only ever gone out of my way to write a review if something is knock-my-socks-off wonderful, but this kind of misbehavior needs to be shared and censured. UHC is not taking its role as a health service provider seriously. They should be embarrassed by their internal inconsistencies and cutthroat capitalism. Until they take action, I suggest we take our business elsewhere.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I've had this insurance for over 10 years; changed Health insurance many times prior to enrolling in United Health Care and am very pleased to have done so -- there's not much that they don't cover, they assist with things like transportation, health and wellness programs and the customer service is above-average compared to many other health insurance options...

Original review: April 17, 2019

Cover more and lower the price! Better customer service would nice with English speaking people who can get your name right too. Hate a very poor English speaking person trying to get my issues fixed.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Employer provided but I pay a supplemental amount to cover nationwide out of network coverage. Never got money's worth for extra amount paid except in peace of mind. Claims have been a seamless, painless experience. Little to no interaction required. Not needing customer service is the best service possible.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Original review: April 15, 2019

Pay them thousands for insurance, was in an accident with over 8K damage to my car and they denied me physical therapy. Thank God for my auto insurance company (Amica) they took very good care of me. United Health Care just denied my need for help. Awful.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I get to use my own doctors usually without referrals and they always coordinate benefits with other health insurance providers. The call center Agents are very helpful and if they cannot give me an answer they refer me to a Supervisor to assist.

Original review: April 14, 2019

With United Health Care most of my needs have been met in a timely manner. I did have one primary care doctor that I really liked working with because he decided he no long wanted to be a participating provider. Otherwise I have been generally satisfied with them.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Their personnel are very helpful both on the phone answering questions or helping with real problems. The home visitors are excellent. They really know how to interact with others -- help you settled any misgiving.

Original review: April 13, 2019

The coverage with United is comparable to my others (Cigna and IHC), the claims are paid quickly, and cost is average. But the website is such a mess that it has become an administrative nightmare, and I don't know why anyone would choose this when comparable products are available where using the HSA and online claims payment is simple and straightforward. The user interface at UHC is horrible. I cannot even tell which claims I have paid. I can not easily access my statements to see what has been paid from my HSA, and if I pay online, the provider often never receives payment, so I get credited 2 months later and my account becomes past due. An administrative nightmare. UHC needs to hire some new computer science grads to redesign this. It is 2019, and the only excuse for not doing so is pure greed.

Original review: April 13, 2019

United Health Care is nice. Have been with them twice. I switched to another insurance and after being with them one year they decided not continue service. So went back to United Health Care. This is where I will stay.

Original review: April 13, 2019

UHC has given me outstanding service and assistance including providing plan documents and who I can see and where I can go for prescriptions. I don’t need a referral to see a specialist and one fee to see a specialist in or out of network.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I just had sinus surgery that required a compound antibiotic to protect me from infection. My doctor called, was given the runaround. I called was told on Monday they will decide. Given that an infection is more likely at the beginning days after any surgery, three days are too long. Yet within few hours they called me to deny my medications. Now I will have to pay out of my pocket $150 money that I do not have. And insurance companies complain when we call for public healthcare?!!! United Healthcare since its inception made a mockery of our healthcare. I will cancel that plan. My advice - stay away from any health plan that had United Health or AARP, they are bad news when you need them.

Original review: April 12, 2019

They offer $25.00 a month for gyms but they don't cover my gym Elmwood, it does not help me in any way and I have asked them to add it because I have been going to Elmwood since 2000 and is the gym that I love and I am happy with it.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I have had United Health Care for 14 years (it was originally Secure Horizons). Each year I compare this provider to all the other options but have never found a competitor to match United Health Care. Copays have constantly risen each year, but so have the other competitors' rates.

Original review: April 11, 2019

A third party administrator correctly sends my COBRA payment to UHC every month. UHC terminates their system retro to 1/31/19 every month. I have to call the TPA and UHC every month to get this resolved which takes 24-28 hours on UHC end to correct in their system. In the meantime, it looks like I have no insurance coverage since 1/31/19. Very problematic should I need medical care during UHC's incompetent administrative screw up. Totally unacceptable - why should I have to wait for them to clean up their mess in the system when I have paid my premiums through 5/31/19.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Tough to get requested info; software for communication very sub-par for national PPO; lack of understanding at customer service contact, reading script; lag in concern processing... list out of date and struggle to get exact details and trouble explaining cost without codes to start. Ask for your time in more situations than one likes...

Original review: April 11, 2019

Bait and switch. They cheat customers; do not cover you even 1/2 what they promise and short-change your physicians. They'd rather you see Nurse at pharmacy or urgent care center. When you try to reach somebody to complain, they hang up on you after you've been on hold for over 30minutes. They change a bunch of things on your formulary without telling you. At the pharmacy you are forced to use your credit card and pay out-of-pocket for medication you've been prescribed for years. They spend your money on executive salary, not on customer health care.

Original review: April 10, 2019

UHC also known as Pacific Behavioral Health (PBH) are liars, cheaters, and do not honor their word. I have them on recording saying they will pay an outstanding bill which I accrued because they told me the provider was in network. They refused to pay the bill, they denied telling me the provider was in network and despite multiple appeals with the recording as evidence they just denied and lied about everything. PBH are liars and cheaters. Regardless of my mental health status I will not access their services again. Which I'm sure makes them just plain happy. They care about their profit margins and not their customers.

Original review: April 9, 2019

The network of doctors is perfect because I was allowed to see my existing primary care doctor. The prescription drug coverage is excellent and low co-pays. The only down-side is prior authorization for urgent care clinic.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Health insurance doesn't cover much. When you try to get test done, it takes forever to get approved and then when the providers are paid it is 6 month or more later. In this instant, providers are sending bills or calling to get paid. I hate the prescription part D, don't get me wrong here, the 2nd and 3rd tier are to high and all meds are not covered when the doctor prescribes it. The doctor wouldn't prescribe the drug unless they thought it will work. I had this problem 2 months ago, which resulted in me not getting the medicine at all.

Original review: April 8, 2019

UHC’s Orwellian titled Behavioral Health (mental health) portion of the insurer’s providers IS ATROCIOUSLY INFERIOR AND SLEAZY AT BEST, MORE PROBABLY FRAUDULENT IN FACT. Do not ever choose UHC if you need any sort of psychiatric, mental health, psychologist, or other psychosomatic medical providers: They simply don’t exist and the databases are literally 90% incorrect - that means 90% of the mental health providers WILL NOT TAKE YOU.

UHC medical plans are on par with most other adequate insurers - hardly top-notch but you can find really good doctors with a lot of searching. However, the fact that they split mental health care off into a boiler-room ilk scam illustrates the arrant contempt they have for their mandated responsibility to provide equal psychiatric care. They have a bunko outfit named “Optum”, which is also associated with “Live and Work Well” tagline, scamming for the mental health side of their supposed “providers” of UHC insurance. IT IS AN ABOMINATION FOR PEOPLE WHO NEED TO AVAIL THEMSELVES FOR THE SERVICES *FOR WHICH THEY PAID. *

You cannot find *any* MD who is board certified, associated with a reputable (or even second-rate) hospital, better-reviewed than a huge herpes sore, competent, or even decent enough to call back. I’ve been trying to find a new psychiatrist in NYC: Should be easy with the population and demographics, right? IT’S BEEN A MONTH of exhausting their non-existent resources and not a single psychiatrist out of the ostensibly available 100 in NYC took the insurance or would call back - even the 20 crappy ones on there. I’ve been back & forth with the “management team” at UHC Behavioral health and THEY haven’t been able to find a good accredited, available, board certified psychiatrist yet! UHC for ANY psychological resources? RUUUN AWAY!!!!

Original review: April 8, 2019

Single and family deductibles are extremely high and almost no services are covered except for simple doctor's visit otherwise you have to pay out of pocket deductibles. More and more healthcare providers require this deductible upfront which put some people in a place where they will just deny medical attention even though they have insurance but do not have the deductible money upfront.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Apart from the fact that all these Medicare gap policies are expensive, this has been very good at covering all MDs, labs and procedures. I was not happy when they discontinued including free health club membership... That seems totally counterproductive to having health clients...and saving them money in the long run. I was ready to switch insurance, but options for this area were more than monthly health club fee difference.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I have a Medicare supplement (Plan F) with United Health Care. I like the way it covers everything, but I am not real happy with the price. I know that this plan cost the insurance company more to pay claims, but it seems to me, considering an advantage plan can be had from the same company for less than $50 per month, if you live in the right area, they could sell this plan for less than $192 per month.

Original review: April 7, 2019

I do not like primary care Dr that sends me out for small blood and urine test. And having confusion with copays at urgent cares. You guys referrals are not accurate. Most Dr's in my area have left you for Baylor Scott and White. And I need to see the gynecologist more in my plan.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I have an old Supplement-Plan J. I will never drop it. It was one of the best investments I ever made, year after year. It pays 100% of whatever Medicare does not. Any doctor, any Hospital, anywhere as long as they are Medicare approved. I have serious medical issues, cancer, broken femur, COPD, etc. I walk away from a hospital stay costing thousands, saying Thank You UHC!

Original review: April 6, 2019

Polite, professional, knowledgeable and they answer the phone on the first ring. They go beyond the call of duty to help. The rates are good, however they should keep us informed and up to date with changes i.e. they never notified us of discontinuing the SilverSneakers program.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I pay for the best coverage and United seems to be okay. I can't say they are better than any other given I pay for the "premium" package. I can say I have not had any troubles the one or two times I've contacted them.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I’ve been on Social Security disability for a long time and now these people are trying to get somebody else to pay for the damage that’s done to my neck trying to blame it on the accident or Worker’s Comp. I’m too sick to be working the refusing the painter beer ignorant about it they can’t legally make me pay for.

United Health Care expert review by Joseph Burns

UnitedHealthCare is the largest single health care carrier in the United States. It currently covers approximately 70 million Americans and contributes large amounts of money to medical research every year.

• Lots of options: UnitedHealthCare provides a wide range of plan options for individuals, families and employers.

• Offers Medicaid plans: Low-income consumers may be able to get Medicaid insurance through UnitedHealthCare.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Seniors may be able to get their Medicare insurance through UnitedHealthcare’s Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Senior citizens, heads of families, employees

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

United Health Care Company Information