1.50/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1404 United Health Care Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Bottom line, they are hard to reach. My employer chose this provider for employee health insurance. There's no way to email United Health Care or submit a message on their website. Support is not available weekends. When chat is offline, you can't use it to leave them a message. Their website has a feature where you enter your phone # and they'll call you back, but it's not working today, and maybe for longer than just today. You have to enter a subject (required field), but the field is missing, so you can't enter it.

They said a tax document was available if I logged in. It was in fact not there. This reduces members' trust in the company, and its credibility. It's not urgent to have the form, but it wastes members' time to say something is available and then as a member you take the time to log in and navigate to the right place only to find that last year's tax document is the only one there. They want your money but they don't do a good job of helping members with questions.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

My baby has small airways and was diagnosed with Trisomy 18. They won't even cover his CPAP and G-tube supplies, with their platinum level insurance nonetheless! Ridiculous! Are they just wanting our baby to die? Why would they make us pay for all of the supplies and services? What's the point of having insurance then?

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

In the last 3 days I've tried on numerous occasions to make contact with United Health Care, and every day I've been on hold over 1.5 hours and then get disconnected when they pick up. This is typical for United Health Care as I terminated my insurance with them a couple of years back due to poor customer service and I can only say it's gotten a lot worse than it was 3 years ago.

There are way too many insurance companies out there, however I find that the bigger they get the poorer the customer service and they have an I don't give a ** attitude towards the customers. For anyone thinking of using this company look at the reviews they get as everyone on here say basically the same thing. POOR SERVICE. DON'T GIVE A ** ATTITUDE. Look for other companies that will #1 answer the phone quickly, don't keep you on hold for hours on end, we all pay a lot of money for insurance and if I can get good customer service I don't care how big the company is. I'm taking my business elsewhere which I did.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Hi, I have had UHC for about 3 years and am finally getting to the bottom of their tactics of denying claims. There has been a good 10+ claims that they have falsely denied. They seriously find problems with everything and try to make it as difficult as possibly for you to get things approved. Suddenly in-network procedures become denied as out of network, and in office procedures are being turned into outpatient services falsely. You HAVE to challenge them. Don't accept denials without digging deeper. Read your document benefits thoroughly. If they won't resubmit your claim, appeal it!!! They will probably deny that too! Then you MUST do an EXTERNAL appeal. Even mentioning that word to them will probably cause them to want to take you more seriously.

Finally was able to stop this after my husband saw the same doctor for the same similar issue and we both had blood tests and an X-Ray. His blood test was denied and his X-Ray was accepted. My blood test was covered and my X-Ray was denied. Same office, same types of blood tests and X-Rays. I knew something didn't match up. The first person I talked to said it was "because one of the blood tests were sent off". After calling the billing department at the clinic, they said they were both sent off, and that the only difference is that the insurance processed his blood test and the clinic processed mine. So we called UHC again. The 2nd lady said there was nothing that could be done, and then we mentioned appealing it, and that I wanted a summary of my benefits emailed to me. She said finally said she could resubmit my X-ray claim as it should have been covered but my husband's blood test is still not.

Called a 3rd time and the 3rd lady had some sense into her is "working" on getting the billing department to correct it because the bill I received showed it was an "in-clinic" procedure and we never even received a bill from an outpatient hospital. Hopefully they will fix it but it took 4 hours on the phone to get to the bottom of this, and she says it will take a few days to process and a few times to call the billing department to get it fixed. This is not the first time I have had these issues. If you can avoid UHC please do! I will NEVER recommend them. They are a scam.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I'm in a buy in program with Medicaid. Meaning I can't afford insurance through work. So I pay a minimum every week for insurance. I go the eye doctor once a year for eye exam because of my diabetes. I need glasses, so my doctor writes me script for glasses. I pick out my frames at Sterling Optical. They tell me 2 weeks. Oh, They also have to be sent directly to United Health to be made by them. Now, I really need them to drive. It’s been 3.5 weeks, and no glasses. I called United Health and it was denied. I got no notification from them. I'm dropping them ASAP. So please do not go to this insurance company. You will regret it. They are the worst. Worst insurance pay 70% out of pocket.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Went to get my medicine yesterday (I have breast cancer and on chemo). My insurance is "inactive." (JUST USED it Friday) Spent 4 hours on the phone trying to resolve. WAS hung up on, lied to, not called back... NEVER GOT A SUPERVISOR. Had to borrow money for my medicine. UHC wouldn't cover it or help - my insurance should be just fine. Have NEED A round of RED DEVIL chemo in 48 hours. MY insurance better get fixed. EMAILING all media and contacting the attorney general. Have 2 small kids. I've taken on a bullet and won. I've taken on cancer 2 other times and won. Do you think I won't take you on UHC??? Supervisor us to call today... will see...

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Have been out of work for 4 months and UHC will not cover a 1/3 of the medicine I've been prescribed. Instead of letting the Drs. do their job, they tell the Dr. what medicine I need. I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND UHC TO ANY COMPANY EVER!!!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

As a seasoned mental health provider, I am disgusted with the poor coverage and the inadequate care for the insured people. The reimbursement rates are extremely low (60% of most insurance plans), so generally only new or desperate providers are willing to participate. They also require precertification and limit the session time to 45 minutes, which is not standard for psychologists. Very frustrating customer service. I strongly recommended against this insurer if you require mental health coverage.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I had surgery on my right hand in November 2017. The Mayo Clinic in AZ contacted UHC for pre authorization of procedure. UHC did not require pre authorization for the procedure so I went ahead and had it done. After all bills were filed UHC paid some but not others. When I contacted them to find out why they declined the coverage but kept changing the reason why. One year later they claim it was medically unnecessary. The supervisor at Mayo has been great but to no avail. They are trying to stick me with $21,000.00. Why? I switched to new insurance in December 2017 just after procedure when I was offered a new position with a new company. I am no longer with UHC but I was covered through the end of the year 2017. I no longer pay premiums to UHC and they simply do not want to pay my claims. Stay away from this company. They will ruin your life.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

The UHC insurance rep told the hospital that we were in network. The UHC rep told me twice on the phone we were in network and covered. We have a letter from UHC saying my daughter's operation was medically necessary and covered. We went to the hospital and the hospital told us again that we were covered and that we were in network. After we had the surgery we got a bill $300,000 claiming we were out of network... Now they want the hospital or us to pay for it...

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

You’re on your own and you’re paying for it. The worst customer service I’ve ever experienced. Wait times can go on for hours. Different rote answers from different representatives. It’s really only paying for a high deductible.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I visited an urgent care clinic (Piedmont Urgent Care by Wellspring) in February 2018 and have just received an ebill. I had the flu, a very basic visit required to get an antibiotic. Amongst the other charges listed on my bill, is the eval charge; the charge to be seen by a doctor. Keeping in mind, this is not a primary care physician or a specialist; the charge is $320!!! Of which UHC only covers $54.

When I called to question the amount, I was told that Piedmont Urgent Care do not set up the charges but rather, United Healthcare sets up the contract prices with the providers to charge United Healthcare patients. If I had paid cash, the cost would have been $154 but whether or not I had met my deductible or not, United Healthcare makes sure that I am charged the unethical cost of $320. Appalling and shameful of United Healthcare Choice Plus Network. There is also no way possible to get in touch with any one in the contract department and I would absolutely NOT recommend United to anyone considering taking out insurance with this company.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I have been with UHC for a little over a year now. Just about every claim that is submitted on my behalf is a mess. I have spent time appealing most of my claims only to find out UHC staff did something wrong. I spent one hour and a half on one call with them today and got nowhere. So, now again, am filing another appeal. Member services thinks they are right and sometimes they are not. On my way to Humana for open enrollment. My sister has it and has no problems as I have been having with UHC. I am trying to find some places to write letters that can be effective so they wake up.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I applied for Medicare Supplemental Insurance in May, and was told I should have a response within 6 weeks. 6 weeks came and went and when I called, they said, yes I would be accepted for coverage and they had sent me a welcome package. I received no such package. This phone conversation took place about 8 times, when, finally, I received a bill for 4 months of coverage with late charges because I never paid a bill I didn't receive. I finally sent a letter in October to never contact me again, as I never want to do business with such an inefficient company again.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

My wife was hit by a teen driver, putting her in intensive care for one week. She suffered a brain injury which cause her to lose her driver's license and her job. The driver had a $25,000 personal injury policy, we have been with UHC for 40 years and now they have put a lien on the settlement, they claim it's their money. We have lost her 35,000 income, ran up our credit cards and gone into debt. The only drug made, that can help her cost $1000.00 a month. So who deserves the settlement money, UHC or my wife. She needs it to pay off debt. I have played them 5 times that in premiums.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

My former employer offered to donate $100/month to offset my Medicare Supplement Plans with United Health Care. It wasn't worth it. When they took my application over the phone on November 6th, the agent told me that she would make sure my application became effective on November 1st so that I wouldn't have any lapse between my employer's coverage (which cut off at the end of the month BEFORE my birthday - which makes no logical sense). It was also essential if my wife (who is five years younger) was to have any medical coverage for the next five years.

The problem is that the agent that made the promise to me never followed-through and the agents I spoke to subsequently couldn't have cared less. They have one goal at United Health Care - to taken your money and do nothing in reaction to customer requests but transfer you from one department to another. My advice is to find a better-rated provider, no matter what kind of insurance you are looking for!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

This company is the absolute worst when it comes to actually making decision to help the patient. They denied claims for a cheaper generic medication forcing me to take a medication that costs 700 a month and they will not contribute until my entire OON OOP is met. Which I understand are the terms of the policy but the denial and exclusion of a significantly more inexpensive generic is on the market. Clearly the only reason this would not be in the best interest of both UHC and the patient is some sort of deal made between UHC and the pharmaceutical company.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I would never recommend United Health Care Medicarecomplete Choice Plan 1 (Regional PPO) to anyone. I suffered with this plan for 3 years and I cannot wait until January 1st to change. Every single time I went to the Doctor, there was a problem with incorrect payments due to the poor computerized billing system that they have. I spent more time with phone calls and e-mails than I care to even mention. It was beyond ridiculous.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Would rate UHC zero stars if it were possible. Their premiums are far too high. They are shady about hiding third-party fees. They aren't clear about what they will/will not cover and what the patient will be required to pay out-of-pocket. Their customer service wait time is excessively long. Their customer service representatives are unhelpful because they are not knowledgeable about their products/system. You just get a run-around of circle talk and absolutely no resolution. Be warned - avoid these crooks!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

This insurance company basically took 125.37 from my account two times under false pretenses. My specialist office never heard of them. I barely had this insurance a month. Am unable to use it. Red flags all around. I would recommend no one to get insurance through them and feel like I should get all my money back.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

This company sold me a major medical policy and now claims it is a "Limited Liability" policy. They pay for basically nothing. Every claim is denied for various stupid reasons. They have stolen money from me for three years and none of my claims have been paid. The agent said I had a $5,000 deductible and 80/20 coverage - Not true! This was a bait and switch scam. Please change the rating from one start to zero.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I have had United Healthcare from 2-1-2009 - 10-31-2018 and United Healthcare always denies my health claims and they refuse to pay but they can get more money each month from me. They're unacceptable and I am glad they lost their contract with Medicare and I am returning back to HumanaChoice PPO 01/01/2004 - Current.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I have been a member of United Health Care for over 5 Years. I have never ever had them pay a claim on time or without denying the claim the first time around. It has been a challenge to get them to pay any claims to any of my medical providers or even dental providers without months of constant calling and demanding on my part that they pay the claims. This has resulted in many of our medical claims being turned into collections and others sent to the court system for payment. They even denied my chemotherapy treatment. This resulted in me having to use a out of network provider for treatment with our second insurance.

Yes, we have dual coverage from Both Humana and United Health Care and they still refuse to pay any of the medical bills. I reported this to the Health Insurance Commission and United Health Care told them that there was a mix up and they would reprocess the claims as soon as possible. These claims are now 16 months old and still not paid. If you purchase insurance with United Health Care, please do so with caution.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I'm suffering in pain. Two years ago I had surgery. Now there are complications causing a lot of pain. My surgeon needs a CT scan to proceed and I had one scheduled for today. Unfortunately, United Healthcare has not yet approved the CT scan so I lost my appointment and continue in pain. When the imaging center called to tell me my appointment was canceled, they said it was no surprise and it happens to everyone with United Healthcare.

This is modern America. You can have a job. You can pay an arm and a leg for top-tier insurance. But you can't get the medical care you need because it would cut into United Healthcare's $91.2 billion (with a "b") annual profit. Yes, that was UHC's 2017 annual profit. My pain is affecting my work, and my family life. My doctor and the radiology people are ready to help but UHC won't pay. If you have any choice, don't get United Healthcare! Their motto should be, "Profits Over People."

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

First of all fewer and fewer providers accept United Health Care. I spent two hours on the phone with them to get an approval to pay an in network copay to an out of network provider. I got a rep in the mail that said two visits were approved. I showed it my provider and they said it had no information on it that would be helpful for them to pay the lower copay. They were right. I called their billing department several times and they finally said they would call United Health Care even though calls to them took hours. When they got ahold of United Health Care they said they had no record of that approval. I gave up.

The latest problem is I got a letter from a collection agency trying to collect 4 bills that weren’t paid by United Health Care. When I called the billing department they said it was I was being billed as an out of network even though both United Health Care and the provider had told me they were in network. When I called United Health Care they told me once again the provider was in network and that they would fix the mixup right away. Today I got a letter from United Health Care that they were answering my question about what I owed. What they said I owed was the out of network cost! Once again I had to call them. It took an hour for them to tell me that they looked at the name of the Billing agency as the provider and needless to say the billing agency wasn’t in network.

They once again promised to take care of it, but if my provider’s office wouldn’t send a bill instead of the billing agency I would have to file an appeal! The next problem was I was charged an additional $95 dollars for physical therapy. United Health Care in each of several phone calls told me a different reason why I owed that. The provider said none of those reasons made sense. It’s still in limbo. They have also been saying I owe something on every other procedure I’ve had because they cover so little. Don’t use this company. They cheat and they lie and cost so much money. Stay away!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I am a diabetic; hereditary, I eat right and try to exercise. Very bad heel pain and subsequent back pain. Part of aging but it wacks out my A1C with inflammation and pain. Went to foot Dr.; custom shoe inserts for support are $500 cash. No credit cards accepted. Insurance does not cover. Dr. called and I called 3 times. Was told that they would however, cover diabetic shoes with lesser custom insert 100%. And multiple pair each year. Didn't make $$ sense but I will work within the system. I called back to confirm because of the cost, didn't want any misunderstandings. Yes! Approval letter from insurance company. Called to confirm. Now after Dr. orders all of it. The insurance company denies the claim. I pay them $1000+ a month. They approve "in error" apparently because of the state I live in. These types of items are not covered. How can that be, what does the state I live in have to do with it? It shouldn't. They sent out an approval letter.

Now I am going to be billed for something that I don't have money for, cash only no credit cards, AND here is the best part. I get billed the full amount not even what the Dr. would have accepted from the insurance company as full payment. So this error in approval could cost me thousands of dollars. OPP's really? "I'm so sorry" doesn't cut it. Too bad I actually have a job and pay for my insurance. I wouldn't have this problem on public assistance now would I; hello America what's wrong with this picture? Vote in people who will stop handing out better care than what working people are able to purchase. I had Blue Cross Blue Shield until they pulled out of NY. I am paying for one of the top level tiers. I guess I should have went with the lowest level and saved my money for the things they don't cover.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

My credit score dropped 100 points because of a $100 claim that went months unpaid by UMR. I contacted them multiple times to confirm that the claim was not denied and that it would be paid. They "missed" it, and I had to spend 8+ hours on the phone fighting between debt collectors, billing, and UMR to get the mark removed from my credit report (but it was still there for three months). In addition, I self-submitted a claim for reimbursement, which they admitted sat in their system for over 5 weeks, before they found it (and note I again called multiple times to follow up on this claim).

It still has not been "received" 5 weeks after submission, and claims CANNOT HELP ME OR PROVIDE A CLAIM NUMBER? Then, let's talk about their phone system. Call the number on the back of your card. If your phone call doesn't fit into their "box" (i.e. you don't have a claim number, it doesn't recognize your birthday, there might be some reason why you don't have the information the automatic system wants hence why you're calling...), the automatic line says "It seems like you're having trouble. Please try again later. Goodbye." And hangs up.

When I finally get through by pretending to be a doctor, or magically hitting the right buttons, after 30 or 40 minutes of trying to get to a representative, the representative tells me there is no direct line to contact a representative... so I will just have to continue to get hung up on by the automatic system, or spend 30-40 minutes solving some kind of puzzle or pretending to be a doctor to get through to someone. It's awful. I ask to speak to a supervisor, and the rep hangs up on me. I'm absolutely disgusted with the customer service aspect of this company.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Optum should not be allowed to advise patients - they are incompetent and dangerous! They provided me with the wrong information about "in network" providers and wasted hours of my time having me reach out to providers personally only to get nowhere. Every customer service rep you speak to tells you a completely different story. After days of them putting me through wasted efforts I tried to file a complaint, and the recorded calls I had made and notes in their system about my inquiries suddenly ceased to exist! This is unethical. When I again tried to file a complaint they mailed me a letter saying "it was addressed" and if I wanted to follow up I could fax them or again call them (and spend how many more hours on the phone). It's 2018: be a responsible company that is accessible to your patients (especially outside of typical hours - not everyone can call during the day if they are working). Provide an email address!

This company takes advantage of the patient & does not fulfill requests, even when they have already delayed patient needs. When I told them I was out of medication due to their incompetence (after 2 weeks of not getting the provider info I needed), they simply told me to go to the emergency room (where, by the way, this medication is unavailable). Offhandedly telling a patient to go to the ER without having an understanding of their insurance coverage, or if the ER can even help them, is completely unacceptable! I was also told by one of their employees during a phone call that $100 "isn't that much money to see a therapist." She was trying to advise me to see someone out of network, as Optum had not addressed my issue after 3 weeks. Instead of helping with a solution, she told me to pay out of pocket and made assumptions about my financial status.

The people I spoke to in the behavioral health department in September 2018 were Tony (who also goes by Anthem - be careful of him, he tells complete lies regarding their process & will delete your records in their system), Erica, and Marjorie. I also received a letter from grievance counselor Susan ** which was completely unhelpful; she could not be bothered to reach out to me via a phone call.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

United Health Care is by far the worst. Went to the dr on 9/4/2018 and I had insurance the day of my appointment (lost my insurance on the last day of month, 9/30/2018), even tripled checked with United Health Care the day of and the dr office. Everyone said I was good to go. Even told me, "If your employer terminated you you still have 30 days of insurance," a month later I get a huge bill from dr. When I called the dr he advised me to call insurance so I did. I asked if there was record of my call a month before and she said yes, I asked what was said and she said that I called to make sure I had insurance the day of and she had no record of what the representative said to me so I asked to speak to someone higher.

After being on hold she said, "Oh yes. I see now where they told you yes you are covered but let me get you to talk to my supervisor" so I spoke to someone else that said, "I don’t know why the rep told you this, it only applies to the state of Texas." I told him I was indeed from Texas and he said, "Hmm that it should apply up. You let me find out". Puts me on hold and comes back and says, "No it’s not covered whoever here lied and you're still responsible for that bill even though we told you you would be covered." So now I’m stuck with a bill after I was told I would be covered and it only applies to my state and now someone else at the company is a liar. On top of that I was on hold for the 1 hour and 22 mins for NOTHING.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

The official Medicare & You handbook says (bottom of page 42) that Medicare will help pay for medical equipment covered by Medicare. Of course, you have a co-pay and deductible. I called AARP United Health Care to find out if a particular piece of exercise equipment prescribed by my cardiologist is covered. I was told "Yes." A couple days later I called again to see if I had to buy a brand new one from a medical equipment business or if I could buy a slightly-used one from a private party. I was told that it was not on "the list" and it would not be covered at all. I asked if I could get a copy of "the list." I was told "No." I asked if my cardiologist could get a copy of "the list." I was told "No."

I pointed out that being denied access to "the list" causes me, my doctor and United Health Care personnel a lot of wasted time and asked if I could lodge a formal complaint. I have been on hold for most of the hour and sixteen minutes call. She finally came back and said they would mail me a copy and I should get it in seven to ten working days. I hope so. They don't want to let you or your doctor know what is covered.

United Health Care expert review by Joseph Burns

UnitedHealthCare is the largest single health care carrier in the United States. It currently covers approximately 70 million Americans and contributes large amounts of money to medical research every year.

• Lots of options: UnitedHealthCare provides a wide range of plan options for individuals, families and employers.

• Offers Medicaid plans: Low-income consumers may be able to get Medicaid insurance through UnitedHealthCare.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Seniors may be able to get their Medicare insurance through UnitedHealthcare’s Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Senior citizens, heads of families, employees

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

United Health Care Company Information