1.34/5
Based on 193 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

United Health Care

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 20, 2018

1214 United Health Care Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I have United Health Care insurance for last 4 yrs. I called them today 2/20/18 to ask them when was a certain last test conducted as the insurance doesn't cover the test more than once in 2 yrs. Rep was absolutely discourteous. I explained to him that my records don't show the description of the claims made, so I needed help. He asked me how is he supposed to look it up if I didn't know when I got it done...duh! That's why I am calling. I asked him he could generate a pdf of the claims and search for the short description I gave him and he said "no I cannot". Absolutely rude. People like this should be fired- clearly in the wrong job.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Very simple, and along the same lines of nearly every other complaint. I take a specialized medication, and due to "contracting", basically greed, they decide that an alternative will work for me. My doctor disagrees, but United HC does not care. If their stakeholders get an extra penny and I die, they seem fine with that. Pathetic!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I have Narcolepsy, and the ONLY med that worked, they denied when my other Medicaid paid for it. These people & this company SUCK!!! I can't believe they would destroy my life like this. I'm falling asleep at my job...

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

All insurance companies are terrible today because they fail to offer a coverage option that is growing by leaps and bounds the integrative/functional medicine and naturopathic categories, and we all know why... There has got to be collusion going on between the docs and the pharma companies. That category treats the whole body with better options and we all wonder why it is growing... The insurance carriers need to wake up about this and offer these options. I have struggled and fired four docs in my plan... So frustrating!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I'm trying to use the UHC website, but it's so full of script (Windows task manager = 2,133,522k+) it's not usable. All transactions need to be done through their website, but is so slow you can't use it. I would guess this is by design.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I have insurance In-Network Only (INO) and with it I pay for everything but if I could take the money spent on Premiums and put it in an HSA I would be set.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

We never have had a problem with UH either paying for covered procedures or helping out when a mistake was made by a provider or Medicare. They also have given us good information when needed.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

They just made you use mail pharmacy instead of you choose what pharmacy do you want. When you have lifetime medications prescription they don't let you have them at your local pharmacy and if you go you have to pay almost the total of the medication cost.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

We have United Health Care Medicare supplement plan F and have paid no co-payments for any services for the 4 years we have had it. It is a pricey supplement but totally worth it in my opinion.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Constant runaround with ‘prior authorization’ claiming they only will cover ‘Drug A ER’ then deny at pharmacy... say will only cover ‘Drug B ER’ submit prescription. Denied again. They say, "No we only cover ‘Drug A non-ER’." Submit prescription and denied again. At this point I've been without ANY MEDICATION for over a week now. And people wonder why there’s a mental health crisis.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

So, basically, we signed up for insurance through my husband's jobs and he received a welcome packet and was told that coverage would start on the 1st. We hadn't received any ID cards yet but we expected to at least be able to sign in. Nope. Not only can we not sign in, when we called, no information came up either. We emailed the agent we went through, named Tanya several times and called but no answer back except "it can take a week or two to go through". He told her it had been almost 4 weeks and she said she would check it and get back to us. She never did.

We never received a call or an email. I'm guessing she just didn't care enough about her job or she knew she screwed up. This is unacceptable. Also, I have to pay out of pocket to see my oncologist due to Miss Can't Do Her Job. Needless to say, I'm furious, my husband is furious, and his boss is furious. According to his boss, she has 24 hours to complete the task before suing her and having her fired. No one should have to threaten to sue or have someone fired to force their lazy butts to do a simple job. Tanya seems to be an exception.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Over The Counter Essentials benefit dropped. I have been with UHC for several years. Until 2018, we have been given a quarterly benefit for over the counter items. I just tried to place my first order for 2018 but am told that my plan, Secure Horizons, no longer offers this benefit. I received no notification of this change from UHC. In addition they also greatly raised the cost of several of my medications. Stay away from this pathetic excuse for a healthcare company!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

My company that I have worked for, for 19 yrs went with United Health Care after being with Blue Cross/Blue Shield for all other years, except the last 4 or 5, and we have been with UHC, since then. I have never had any issues with BC/BS. When I see a doctor that is out of network, I have to send in the receipt where I paid and also the paper with all the medical codes that claims needs to process. Well, they never receive faxes that I send, that comes back saying ok on my end, UHC, doesn't receive, really? What did it do? Disappear in mid air? You have to stay on top of YOUR CLAIMS, don't expect that they will. If you fax something, you should call the next day and make sure they got it. I'm still waiting on a refund from a Dec, 6th, 2017 office visit, and had I not called to see whats going on, I still wouldn't know anything.

They don't communicate with you to let you know of any issues, They will put processed on the website, when it's not! Then after, getting refunds, from the same doctor, same medical issue, same place, everything the same, all year long, the last month of the year, they decide they need a place of service code, and cant process until they have! Funny, they processed every one before with no issues, It's always something with this company. I'm so upset that my employer went with this company, I miss BC/BS so very much!! So, if you can get insurance somewhere else, I would def recommend elsewhere, not here! ONE VERY UNHAPPY CUSTOMER, WISHING I HAD ANOTHER CHOICE WITH MY HEALTHCARE NEEDS AND INSURANCE COMPANY! OH, Ps, every agent tells you something different.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Once again I am an idiot to think that you can get insurance and have honesty at the same time. Took money out of my account and the ink was not even dry. Hell to cancel, agent mad, no help at all. Now I have to wait for almost 2 weeks to get money back and they pushed it through last night. Jan. 30 did app, Feb. 1 cancel, that is how fast they rob you. Tell you every Dr. and/or hospital takes, they DO NOT!!! I read reviews and ignored, shame on me! Please do not take this out, please!!! Thieves, sad state of affairs when this is what we have become as a people. I will do without any coverage, I am not taking any more chances. This was through an agent, a real insurance company. :( 1/30/2018

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

My son has Medicaid and he had an appointment to be seen by his dentist. We don't have dentists nearby that accept Medicaid so I had to schedule transportation services, considering that I'm disabled myself and that the facility where we had to go is an hour away. So I did, I called Medicaid and they booked the service for the right day. However, they called me back the next day to tell me that I had to book it through United Health Care and that's when my nightmare started. So I called United and they told me that because it was not a medical emergency, they couldn't book the trip, that it was too late. I explained to Dotty ** and Becky ** that the delay was because I was not given the right information and that I couldn't reschedule the appointment for a near date, considering that they take forever to schedule an appointment for Medicaid patients.

I also explained to them that even it's not a life threatening event, my son has a real problem with his teeth and that he also had already a cavity but they just didn't care at all. I'm changing my son out of United Health Care because they are actually United We Don't Care. All their customer service people are trained to not give their names and their service is all but caring. Very horrible and frustrating experience. That's when you see a different treatment when you're a disabled person who sadly depends on Medicaid.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Here is the corruption/scam schema. Beware! When they rips off people, when they get into Emergency situation, what makes it even more unethical and outrageous. I used the United Health Care website to find "in-network" hospital and selected it for the visit. After I've got a bill, I found that 3 doctors were charged/billed as "out-of-network". In this case, the United Health Care covered only the maximum allowable, applicable for their "in-network" doctors and made me responsible to pay the rest of the bill, so that I had to pay something like $500 more, than I was supposed to!

All attempts to appeal within a company failed. UHC ** me that repeating that "we processed it correctly", chronically ignoring the part that they lied that the facility is not fully "in-network". I requested an external appeal and they simply said that they are not dealing with it and advised me to use a private lawyer. So, why am I supposed to be responsible for this? They didn't say any kind of information that the facilities which they list as "in-network" can still have "out-of-network" doctors. I believe they simply don't want to pay them and this is how they do this "optimization" of their expenses. The most outrageous part is that they do that to patients, which are in emergency situation and have no way to check status of each doctor, as well as I found this totally illogical that why their "in network" hospitals have "out of network" doctors.

And what is a point of medical insurance in this case, if some doctors can be easily out of network and you can't control it, since you are in emergency situation? What if 50% or 75% of doctors can be "out of network" in their facilities which this list as "in network"??? It's a new way Americans found how to scam and rip off people, so that more and more people get unexpected expenses and would be stuck with huge bills and get into debt. How I hate United States, that there is no protection for people from this scam/corruption and I no longer want to live here. I am shocked how far the system went scamming people like that! Got to hell!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I tore my left hamstring, no in-network orthopedic doctors will see me, due to no in-network doctor treats torn hamstrings. 4 weeks so far, UHC keeps denying the referral to go out of network for me to get treated, due to, "Doctor is out of network". They are sooooo stupid. So basically... They are denying me medical treatment. If they do not have any in-network doctors to treat me, they MUST approve me to go out of network and pay for it... But they keep giving me the runaround. So now I just live on pain pills... Gee, maybe I will get addicted and then I can also sue them for that!!!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I just joined UHC because of AARP recommendation. Sadly have come to realize AARP is only a sales vehicle. I am new to Medicare and the "system". All I, to date, have attempted to do was to establish doctors in my new city. Easy task: right? The UHC web site is antiquated (sorry: "we have been having problems") and the information once you get to it is out of date. The list of doctors (including the one they put on my card) aren't accepting new patients. Had the same success when I contacted one of the many customer service numbers. I can't wait to be able to leave UHC and AARP. Sadly I have to wait for the open enrollment period.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

Most is done on website and the site is well done. I had better coverage as an employee of Verizon, but all things considered I am happy with the service and grateful to have it.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

When I decided to sign up for this plan for 2018 I did some research to make sure that my doctors accepted this plan. It a plan that bills Medicare first, and the balance is picked by Medicaid (Ohio). Not until I had gone to the doctor twice did I get a bill wanting me to pay what Medicare didn't pay. When I called them they said that they do not bill Medicaid. Of course they did not tell me that when I signed up. I think anyone would assume that if you accept a dual plan for Medicare and Medicaid that this would be normal policy. No one will help me now. Not the doctors office, not UHC, not Medicare, not Medicaid. They tell me I am stuck with the bills, which are not small. I have no means to pay this so they will not allow me to see my doctor until I do. I am at a loss as to what to do about my meds. What can I do? Any advice? Thanks much.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

United Health Care is the worst insurance company ever! Here's the story so far... My mom is a massive stroke survivor and lost the ability to fully function as a individual. She now needs 24 hour care to help her live life. I decided to become her caregiver so we applied for a CDPAP program called Freedom Care. Unfortunately Freedom Care didn't accept the insurance she had, but UHC was 1 they did accept so we switched on 12/1/17. All the paperwork was approved and completed for Freedom Care by 12/6/17. All that was left to start was to get a home nursing assessment to determine how many work hours her case gets each week. There's local nurses that could easily had completed the assessment that same week, but UHC won't accept a 3rd party assessment, so they have to provide it with 1 of their nurses. All was to be done is have my mother's doctor sent pre or prior authorization in order for UHC to schedule the assessment.

This was 12/6/17 and today is 1/30/18 and we still in the same position. Every time we call UHC half the people don't know what we be talking about and the other half gave us bad information. Her doctor sent the pre/prior authorization multiple times over the last 2 months but each time UHC said it was sent to the wrong place. The places he sent it to was provided by multiple UHC employees and they all gave different answers. UHC they provided my mom with a case manager which suppose to handle situations like this but even she provided my mom's doctor with bad information. I never been so stressed out talking to customer service in my life. When I asked employees to tell me the exact location that her doctor needs to send the pre/prior authorization they either give me the same bad information or tell me her doctor should have his contacts within UHC. What the hell does that mean?

I mentioned that to him and he said he don't have a contact for pre/prior authorizations and was using the numbers we gave him from the UHC employees. I truly don't understand why it's so hard just to schedule a assessment that won't take more than 10 minutes to complete. To make a long story short, UHC is terrible! How they been around so long is comical and goes to show they been stealing money for decades. The sad part is I can't switch her insurance again until 12/1/18 so we gonna have to keep getting the runaround, bad info and incompetence until then. Has anyone else been through this with UHC? If so how did that turn out? I'll repost as soon as the pre/prior authorization eventually goes through but I'm assuming that'll be like 3 or 4 or 5 months from now because UHC is that terrible.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Just began Medicare due to disability. United Health Care offered opportunities and opened doors that Medicare at this time is not able to offer. United Health Care gave me hope things will be ok in many areas of concern.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

The nurse who came to my house was very nice and knew what she was doing. All the reps I have talked to are very knowledgeable and very kind. Also I found that the services provided are less expensive than other insurance companies.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

The agent we chose, Stephen **, made United Health Care Advantage sound like this was an answer to our prayers, that nothing compared to this coverage that is totally free. It's the answer to get free medical and drug prescriptions coverage. We continuously were told that it costs nothing, that all drugs will be free, etc, etc. Well one month into this coverage we already spent over a $1,000.00 and afraid to think what the rest of the year will look like. My husband's eye drops for pre and post cataract surgery has cost us over $700.00, cataract surgery deductible $200.00 and that's without hospitalization. The day of my husband's eye surgery we find out from his doctor that we do not have Medicare, that we replaced it with United Health Care. So, us thinking that United Health Care was our supplement insurance, covering what Medicare will not, we are told by the surgeon that that's not the case. That was a total shock to us.

We consider ourselves to be reasonably intelligent people but oh boy how we were misled. We were never told all these things and never received proper plan information books. So mostly we are blaming the agent, Stephen **, for either his neglect or lack of knowledge of the product or not giving a darn about the people like us what he was selling or what he wasn't telling. We also blame ourselves for totally believing in what we were told without asking more questions. And we also blame United Health Care for having people like Stephen ** misrepresenting their company.

We are not the only ones that feel tricked for enrolling in this plan, there are few others on our street alone who are furious with him and United Health Care. We all feel tricked and we all agree that none of us knew that United Health Care Advantage will replace Medicare and that we will be left without supplemental coverage. This agent is only looking out for himself and the commission he pockets. Now we and few are stuck with this coverage for a whole year. I am angry beyond words!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I have been forced to use Briova that is owned by United Healthcare. I am waiting on my transplant medication right now. I was under the impression they call into the doctor and get the prescription. I had to do that myself. SO tell me what is the benefit I am getting. They messed up last month and I had to fill it through my local pharmacy which took 6hrs, once UH goes through the "proper" process. The process was that they kept calling me to see if I got my meds. I did not. Now yesterday I went refill and was told I needed a new prescription, even though the bottle said 3 refills. Got the prescription and now I'm told I have to wait 24-48hrs for pharmacy to review the doctor’s prescription. This has been an ongoing since I have been forced to use them. My pharmacy is a block from my house and I think it’s not right that I don't have an option.

I am forced to use them because United Healthcare is not only my insurance provider but they own Briova. I think that should be a clear conflict on interest. When I had my transplant 12 years ago, ** and ** were not specialty drugs. Pharma decided that because they were not making any more profit in regular medications, another way to screw sick people these drugs all of a sudden became specialty. I am so fed up. I am so frustrated. I have had to literally chase down a FedEx van for my medication. They leave it at the wrong place. The service is terrible. UPS is even worst. I do not need the stress. I have SLE with renal failure and Sjogren's and I need heart surgery in a few months. I am only 46 yrs old. Plus I have to fight with my insurance company/Briova each month and fight for my life.

All I want is the option to pick up my meds at my local pharmacy, they know who I am, seen me for the last 13yrs. If my doctor calls in prescription I can pick it up in an hour not 3 days and then it gets lost. When I call Briova they say they need to ask compliance question about my condition, has it changed, any new allergies, last I check customer services are not qualify to ask those question "compliance". This is such a farce. Unfortunately that is the only insurance employers are offering today. SAD.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Needed a MRI with contrast after DVT. My doctor submitted the request and I was pre-approved. I am claustrophobic so I have always had open MRI and never had a problem from UHC. This time I could not find a open MRI so UHC assisted me in finding a facility with stand up. My old facility was out of network as on previous occasions and UHC would still pay if the facility accepted the amount. The facility declined and UHC found another facility without stand up but with a bigger bed and UHC gave me the number. I got my preapproval paper and made my appointment and did the MRI, now 3 months later UHC denied the claim and I was billed $2200.

The facility say that UHC said in their deny letter that I was not approved and the MRI was unnecessary. When I talked to UHC in October they were very pushy for me to have the MRI to find out if my DVT had moved from my leg to my pelvic area. Now when the results was ok they refuse to pay. They also say that preapproval don't mean they will pay for the service. A big question for me is why do you need to waste 2 week to wait for preapproval if they still don't pay for the service. This is unacceptable for me.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

We had Kaiser which was a big disappointment so we change to United. My wife was in an accident and lost her ability to walk. We live in a rent controlled apartment in San Francisco. United will not help us get her to doctors' appointments (she needs to be carried down the stairs). Kaiser provided this but United has been even a bigger disappointment - they will not help at all. So now, she can't even get to the doctor even though we pay monthly fees for this discriminatory practice. They act like this is the most unusual request they ever had. So this has never happened to another person? Screw you United non-Health Care.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I had a dental insurance with UHC. I tried to call the customer care for cancellation of the policy. I was on hold for mins and received no response. I was instantly connected to the department who provides new insurance policy. They connected me to the different department for cancellation and I was once again on hold for 30 mins. The service was poor and there is nobody to help me. I wasted 2 hours of my time reaching just the customer care team.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I was prescribed a ** inhaler for COPD to be used 4 times a day. United Health will only let me have enough for two times a day which means I will not have medication to breathe for 15 days of a month. Yet two months ago they sent me a letter saying they would pay for gender reassignment is definitely something wrong with the system that will pay for an elective surgery over a necessity for breathing.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

My husband suffered prostate cancer and his cancer doctor requested a PET scan to find possible metastatic recurrences. The doctor explained why the test was so needed. Evicore who declines ever test, medications, medication amount and everything in between. They have no concern except for taking our money!

United Health Care expert review by Joseph Burns

UnitedHealthCare is the largest single health care carrier in the United States. It currently covers approximately 70 million Americans and contributes large amounts of money to medical research every year.

• Lots of options: UnitedHealthCare provides a wide range of plan options for individuals, families and employers.

• Offers Medicaid plans: Low-income consumers may be able to get Medicaid insurance through UnitedHealthCare.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Seniors may be able to get their Medicare insurance through UnitedHealthcare’s Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Senior citizens, heads of families, employees

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns

Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

United Health Care Company Information

www.uhc.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use