1.23/5
  • 1 star
Based on 201 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 9, 2017

1164 United Health Care Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I pay a lot for United Health Care and they will not allow me to choose my own Pharmacy! They FORCE me to use ONLY Optum and pay a higher price for my prescriptions to get my medications. Since I can't LIVE without taking my medications I have to pay through the nose. How can they get away with it? They are creating a nice little monopoly for Optum. Where is the government regulations on THAT? Unfair! I want to use my own pharmacy! They are going to drive local pharmacies out of business with these tactics! My pharmacy charges a fair price and I don't want to pay Optum more money!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

United Health is only out for your money and NOT the patient. They refuse to cover MUCH NEEDED medications that my boyfriend needs for his diabetes and my boyfriend has had polyps before and they REFUSE to pay for his colonoscopy because he is 49 and not 50! Stay away from United Health Care!!! If he gets cancer because they refuse the colonoscopy they won't even pay for that when it could have been prevented from the start!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

UHC has the worst possible service: their salespeople don't know the answers to commonly asked questions, and are unable to think for themselves. They put you on hold multiple times to find answers-and don't always have an answer. Customer service is non-existent, you're put on hold and then you are hung up on. These people have a prepared speech like a parrot and if you ask them a question that's not on their prescribed script-they repeat the same dumb answer. You get different answers from different people for the same question and are given the run-around and transferred from person to person, and disconnected. This has happened multiple times.

The insurance premiums and drug costs are outrageous - they're just after your money and all they want is to screw you over. If you ask for adjustments, appeals they're automatically denied and then they lie about the reason it was denied. My doctor's office called for a tier exception for a medication and told them I have Celiac disease, soy and corn allergies, and gave them a list of other meds I've tried in the past that didn't work and why the meds didn't work. DENIED AGAIN! I received a letter and a phone call from UHC saying that my prior authorization was denied because the drug is covered. My doctor's office didn't ask for a prior auth, they asked for a tier exception.

This took place over 4 days after my coverage began, and I've had enough of their BS. On day 5 I dis-enrolled from the plan by phone, but it couldn't be completed because their computers were over-loaded. They mailed me the form to sign and fax back. I refuse to sign it, because they want to illegally hold me responsible for things that don't apply to me or the case. I didn't pay the premium or use the drug coverage plus they don't have a credit card number or checking account number for me, so they can go straight to **!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

UHC is all about making money. Changed coverage of medication without notification to patient. Stop covering medication that had been prescribed by doctor for over a year without any notice. Covering a new medication that has horrible side effects which have been reported numerous times by other patients. UHC is doing this for “money.” No interest in patient care.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

United Health Care increased the full cost of my medications after enrollment was closed. They more than tripled the full cost pushing me into the donut hole making my drugs so expensive I did not refill the 4th quarter. I filed a complaint and they said "sometimes costs go up." You cannot rely on the information they provide during open enrollment. Typically bait and switch. I have been defrauded. Stay away from United Health Care.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

United Health Care has denied a power wheelchair for my son for 3 years. He has a degenerative neuromuscular disease called Friedreich's Ataxia (FA). He can't walk, has 2 titanium rods in his back due to spinal fusion, has a tremor, has a fine motor disability which makes it difficult to eat, write, button, zip, lift anything over 20 lbs and tires easily because it takes all his energy just to maneuver a short distance. This disease is progressive and there is no cure. It affects his heart and will shorten his life. His pediatrician, neurologist, cardiologist, orthopedist, teacher, and anyone else who has treated him has stated that he needs a power chair but UHC continues to deny. Why?

We appealed their decision and had asked for all the information they used in making that decision, which according to them we were entitled to, but never received. UHC keeps stating that the chair has to be needed "in the home". Of course he needs it in the home. He needs it for everyday use, everywhere, including to make it to the bathroom in time. Does UHC ask people that have to use oxygen if they need it "in the home" before allowing coverage for that? We have jumped through every hoop this company has asked of us and it's just ridiculous that they are turning their backs on a disabled child.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Absolutely worse customer service ever! If you want to pay sky high premiums and then out of pocket if you go to the doctor United Health Care is the company to use. The PCP that they sent me to sent me to a specialist. I had a paper referral though they said the PCP was suppose to submit it electronically and would not take it or pay even a penny of my bill. I spent over a month trying to get it straight and they pretty much told me it happens all the time and to go screw myself.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I just received a bill for $71 from United Health Care. I haven't had United Health Care since 2016. I even received a letter in 2016 letting me know that United Health Care was withdrawing from the healthcare Exchange. When I had United Health Care I opted for no subsidy because my income changes. And I didn't want to bill from the government at the end of the year. So far I haven't been able to get through to a person at United Health Care. And I'm unable to login to the website.

I suspect that most people who get a bill would just pay it because United Health Care it's such a hassle to deal with. There is no billing for this bill. No explanation of what it's for. I truly suspect it's fraudulent. I would be interested and hearing from anyone else who receives a bill like this. I would like to start a class action suit against United Health Care for overcharging customers. They have two other lawsuits at this time for overcharging the government and also for overcharging for prescriptions.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

This company insists on doing everything by regular mail and phone; no email. I would get letters asking me to call an 800 number. When I called, at least half the time, the person would not know what was needed and we would have to start over from scratch. A few months ago; they notified me by mail that I had not made a payment and my insurance was cancelled. I sent proof that the payment was made; but they still didn’t restore my insurance. Meanwhile they were still auto billing my account. I’m now with Humana which does use email and I can go online to resolve anything. I’m so happy now. I heard the CEO of United receives double the pay of any other healthcare company; it feels good to have fired him.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I am a member of UHC through my company. My rates, deductibles and co-pays have increased year over year and my coverage has decreased year over year. In my personal experience the insurance offered is below a standard I would recommend to others. I do not have a choice of health coverage within my company and have found decreased satisfaction and increased frustration due to rate increases and over-inflated medical costs UHC does not cover. In my specific case, it was an Emergency Room visit that turned into inpatient surgery. I went to an in-network facility. I am still responsible for thousands of dollars and my company and I pay thousands to UHC. Their coverage is inadequate.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Had UHC and added the dental plan for 35 or 36 dollars a month extra. Had look for a reasonable dentist but my choices were limited to Aspen Dental. Oh what an operation that is. Get em in get em out as quick as possible. Wouldn't send my dog there and I don't even have a dog. Anyway I wrote to UHC to cancel my dental plan a number of times and I was still getting billed. What a deal I got. 477.00 dollars later still getting billed. Not a happy camper. Get it right UHC.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I offer this perspective as a mental health provider in the UBH network: UBH pays mental health professionals an abysmal rate. Specifically, they pay 30-35% the going cash pay rate in California. $60 per session (most therapists get $150 per session). Also, they refuse to pay the industry standard one hour session (90837), only agreeing to the 90834, or 35-45 min session, which is not what happens. Imagine if you only saw all clients for half hour sessions, and then told them it is all their insurance would allow. Clients often wonder why it is hard to find a therapist under their insurance, that is because they cannot keep the lights on if they took only insurance cases from companies like United. It is just wrong, and only the tip of the iceberg.

Also noteworthy is, if they call you to discuss a case because you saw a mental health client once a week for 15-20 consecutive weeks, and you are unavailable to answer, they will send threatening letters to your clients, (scaring them) with disparaging comments about the clinician, and they will deny all claims for that client. Mental health clients are often in a fragile state, and do not need their irresponsible insurance carrier adding to their trauma. If this happens, and you try to call them back, they will then not take your call, and force your client to designate you as their delegate, and complete a 10 page document, before even considering re-opening your case, which they will then not pay retroactively. They have traumatized 4 of my clients, this year alone, in this way. DO NOT CONTRACT with them if you can avoid it at all.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

We pay $300 A WEEK for a platinum plan, specifically for better prescription coverage. Repeatedly, I am denied coverage for 2 medications. When they finally approve a substitute, it is ineffective, and the process starts over. Each time the meds need refilled, it is the same scenario again. This last time, the Dr. has contacted them 3 times, and they still need more information. Pathetic!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Seldom go to the doctor. But knew something was wrong. Went to doctor and had very high blood pressure and an abnormal EKG. Doctor scheduled a stress test for two days later. MyUHC denied the claim! Now I have to wait multiple days more with high BP, abnormal EKG, and now chest pains. Thanks for giving me something else to stress about. Decision probably made by some pinhead behind a computer with no knowledge at all of circumstances. If I have a heart attack prior to being approved - my family will own MyUHC.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

All I wanted was a quote to compare rates. They are the biggest waste of time. Absolutely worthless company in my opinion. I wasted probably an hour waiting to speak to one of their retards and dealing with their faltering phone system. The phone transfer system doesn't work. Constantly saying they are having phone service issues. I call the number direct that someone provided. I gave the idiot all my personal information including my address, state, etc. Then he says he will now transfer me.

So an agent picks up to give me a quote. Then he says United no longer provides individual insurance in the state of Maryland. But they do provide group plans. How weird. So he transfers me to group. And you hold and hold until disconnected! LOL. A worthless company indeed. Why would anyone put their health in their hands? And I hear their rates are about the same as Blue Shield. But trying to confirm it just cost me an hour of my time playing around on the phone.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Having trouble catching my breath and chest pains for 2 weeks prior to doc visit. Set up for stress test and submitting on 3 different occasions before turning down the request. In meantime shortness of breath has gotten worse. More chest pains and no energy. What do I do now 4 weeks later.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

In the past I have bad experiences with the hospital and United Health Care helped me straighten it out. Hospital insurance People are sometimes not listening. The United agent will get to the bottom of the problem and see what they can do to fix it. They have always been helpful and courteous as well.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

UHC has stated that I am allowed to have certain Rx for my chronic pain but when I try to use a prescription, I am denied. I have been told, in writing, that I had to have end of life pain and terminal cancer in order to obtain a medication that I had taken for over 7 yrs. I have resorted to PAYING for meds in cash, outside of insurance, because UHC doesn't want to cover me. Why have insurance at all? My Dr has even written to UHC on appeal stating that I need long term care and that ceasing my meds can result in my death, to no avail. Can anyone help me?

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Our son is requiring residential treatment because of severe RAD along with multiple diagnoses related to living most of his life in an orphanage. He is just now making some progress after 60 days and now Optum is denying claims stating he doesn’t meet criteria for further treatment. He DOES meet THEIR medical necessity requirement, but we are learning that Optum will deny 97% of all behavioral claims after 60 days. It won’t matter to them what the patient needs or what the clinicians and psychiatrists report in peer to peer review. United and Optum will NOT meet the needs of the patient. They will line their pockets first while their clients suffer. Why is this allowed to happen in this country?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Anyone want to know why health care costs so much? INCOMPETENCY is the exact reason why. People answering the phone that do not have a clue. So, my experience began wasting away because my old company was sold. I am on Cobra because I had to have a major operation and was out for 8 months. Anyway, United opens a totally new account, without telling me, never sends me cards, never gives me anything. After repeated calls and speaking with "Managers" (what a joke) they came to the conclusion after 5 phone calls, hours wasted on hold that I needed to re-register... Wow it was that easy? Sure, got to my account and the amount owed was wrong and showing that I owed 2 months, but paid on the first month already on the OLD ACCOUNT.

On the phone again... Next up, NEVER GOT REGISTERED for the prescription plan... paid for it, not registered. Hours on phone again calling everyone in the universe to go back to... You guessed it. UHC!!! They put a ticket in and finally got number... no card yet, now CVS tells me I need 2 other numbers now!!! INCOMPETENCE is what is costing us so much money!!! Holy smokes, back on the phone again, I am about to blow my cork over this!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I'm paying more for less. I can't make sense of their claims process, and neither can their reps when they painstakingly seek an answer for me. I've gotten wrong information about a prescription that resulted in an overpayment by me for 2 months before I discovered their mistake, their provider directory is useless when I find out they aren't part of the plan. I've even had a rep double check one, yet when I called they said they don't accept insurance. Their mental health services are handled by a completely different company that I've been transferred to, only to be told they can't help. What a nightmare!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

United HealthCare is crap! They don't cover anything. Their premiums are outrageous, mainly because they don't cover anything. You can't get anyone on the phone that knows anything. They keep you on hold for 20-30 minutes. Don't buy this insurance. It's total crap.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Terrible website and support. Half of the time the single sign on from my United Health Care medical site fails. When I get to the site, I cannot complete any mail order medications for my son who is away at college; it errors out selecting payment method or shipping address. I can order for myself however. I've tried contacting them via the "contact us" link. They responded that, in order to assist, they needed my son's name, date of birth, and insurance ID. He doesn't have an ID - it is my insurance, and there is already an insurance ID field when you contact them. They said I could respond to their message by hitting the 'reply' button above the message - there isn't one. There's a 'delete' button above and below the message, but no way to reply.

So I tried to write a new message including my son's name, birth date, and the problem I'm having. However, their messages only allow 250 characters, so it is hard to include all the relevant data. I tried to locate an email address I could send a more detailed message. I did find an info@optum.com, but my message to that address was not replied to.

I've called their helpline too. Actually, they have an option via the site to have them call you for help. I selected that option and I got an automated call immediately. It said to press a key to connect to an agent. After two minutes on hold, it dropped my call. I found a number online and was connected to a 'specialist'. They admitted the site was having issues, but that it should be fixed soon. That was 3 weeks ago.

I tried calling a few times since then, but no agent could assist me in ordering for my son. During the last call, the agent indicated the site should be fixed. Nope. He seemed confused and I think he was talking to someone in the background who was coaching him what to say. Obviously another 20 minutes wasted talking to him. Their site is a joke, and they should be ashamed of how poorly designed and unstable it is.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I have United Health Care Medicare supplemental insurance. The company has made my life easier. Their coverage enables me to have less worries about my health problems. The few times I've interacted with them have been both informative and pleasant. Coverage was adequately explained in understandable terms.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

My father was referred by PCP to have sleep study as he has current diagnosis of IS A for last 20 years and needs either new machine or pressure settings adjusted on current machine. United Health Care is denying a sleep study to be conducted as basically, "he's not sick enough." This is not appropriate practice as insurance is denying this person access to quality healthcare. So now he has to begin the process of contesting the denial. There is no reason to have to jump through so many hoops when a medical professional is ordering the procedure due to medical necessity.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Every time I went to my primary care doctor they would change it and bill me like I was going to a doctor that was not my primary care doctor. I would have to call them and tell them again who my primary care doctor was. The first time I thought it was a mistake but when it happened over and over again I was just hoping that I did not have anything major happen. BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I have had United HC Oxford through my employer for four years. The network of doctors and specialists is very diverse and comprehensive. The co-pay for my primary doctor is $20 per visit and $40 for everyone else. I think $40 is high as I have had to see numerous specialist. There must be better policies out there but I am thankful to have coverage.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

The insurance is great, it's Physicians Choice Medical Group who is the "middle man" here on the Central Coast of CA that is the problem. They take the insurance and twist it to their liking and it doesn't resemble what I'm paying for. I'm sent off site for lab tests that are supposed to be covered at the hospital, etc. This is ridiculous!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I am a patient who lives with rare, incurable cancer. While it tends to be slow-growing, it is something that has required management for over 10 years. Over the years, they have repeatedly denied claims for other portions of my health care, minor things. They deny the claim, my doctors appeal and they still deny, or claim they never received the information. It goes round and round. Lately, my cancer has kicked back up and my doctor prescribed a course of chemo that is typical for my disease. UHC IS DENYING CHEMO TO A CANCER PATIENT. Seriously. They just reported $53 billion dollars last quarter for revenue and they can't pony up medication for me? If I could switch insurance, I would, but, it's the only thing my employer provides. Run as far away from this company as you can.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Very difficult to navigate their policies and figure out coverage. Customer service is very polite but many times they will not commit to a specific answer. I am constantly surprised by unexpected bills from providers. Maybe my expectations are too high.

United Health Care expert review by Joseph Burns

UnitedHealthCare is the largest single health care carrier in the United States. It currently covers approximately 70 million Americans and contributes large amounts of money to medical research every year.

• Lots of options: UnitedHealthCare provides a wide range of plan options for individuals, families and employers.

• Offers Medicaid plans: Low-income consumers may be able to get Medicaid insurance through UnitedHealthCare.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Seniors may be able to get their Medicare insurance through UnitedHealthcare’s Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Senior citizens, heads of families, employees

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns

Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

United Health Care Company Information