1.52/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1391 United Health Care Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 26, 2016

I am a primary care MD, who unfortunately has United/Oxford. As an MD I hated it, because they would make you get authorization for everything, even already cheap medications. It was cheaper to buy the $3 of medications out of my pocket than to spend an hour trying to get it authorized only to have it denied. As a subscriber, (am forced to have it via employer) it is the same thing. I have a 5000 deductible, but they are denying claim after claim, 1x they said requested more information - I never received a request. Another time, they said I submitted it too late, at 3 months, despite the fact that had not received from my doctor until 6 weeks after. If you can AETNA, CIGNA, BCBS are definitely better!!

Original review: June 23, 2016

United Health Care is one of the most unprofessional insurance providers I have had to work with thus far! The customer services representatives lack empathy and sympathy skills! It feels as if you're talking to a careless robot each time you call. Hold times are ridiculous on top of horrible billing and astronomical fees, copayments, and deductibles! My advice to anyone with UHC Insurance is RUN!!! I have had them for six months and I will be terminating my services at the end of the month. I would much rather deal with penalties of not having insurance and paying full price for health care than to continue to pay expensive monthly premiums and even more expensive bills after a visit with my primary physician! What a joke!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: June 20, 2016

Every time I need any help at all, United has failed me. It is going to take someone dying and I think they're trying to kill me. I just got out of the hospital, had back surgery, need home health care. Told them weeks ahead of time I needed someone to change bandages, and three months ago I needed shower chair because I can't walk, I got nothing. I fell in shower before operation and now I am home and can't take care of myself at all. It is very important not to get infection in my spine. I live alone in the county, no one near me to help.

All you get with United Health Care is the same failed policy over and over again. They will not fix it and refuse to fix it. Someone will die if they don't, but they just don't care. The hospital can't get anything done. My doctor can't get anything done, and I can't get anything done, even their own representative can't get anything done. It's a failed policy made to fail, has failed, will fail. I have told all in charge all the way to the top but they just don't care. Need to change name to United Don't Care.

Original review: June 15, 2016

I agree United is very expensive. I have only had them in 2015 and 2016. Premiums increased in 2016 and benefits went down. But, for anyone who does not know, they're canceling individual plans for 2017. I live in Virginia and thought it might just be this state but talked to a rep from the AVMA (I am a veterinarian) who told me they are canceling individual plans everywhere next year. I asked what will United be doing next year? He said they will be only providing plans through Medicare if I understood him right. The rep sounded very cynical about the insurance business in general - his opinion was that United was taking the money and running, now off to bilk the government through Medicare. He said at least I get to keep my plan through 2016.

Humana is dropping individual plans too but told their customers they are stopping immediately and their customers have to scramble for plans now. As for me, I will have to wait until open enrollment begins November 1st. Even if I don't enroll in an ACA plan, apparently I can't even shop for any plan at all for next year until then. It makes me wonder how the Humana people are getting plans for this year! It sound like options for people seeking individual plans have limited options. BTW, I am not sure what the future is for people who get UnitedHealthcare through employer's group plan…

Original review: June 14, 2016

An office visit for a brand new specialist was denied and I simply called to find out why. The correspondence sent stated that the "denial reason" is that "new patient qualifications were not met." It sounds like the three (3) key components were: Comprehensive HX, Comprehensive Exam and Med Decision High Complex. So, I called United Health Care on 14 June 2016 (1-800-493-4647). I was switched from Claims to Member Services where I told the representative that all I needed to know what "exactly" the three (3) key components meant. He simply started reading the correspondence to me. (I am not mentally deficient, I can read, write and comprehend perfectly well.)

At that point I told him I understood that I am not responsible for the cost of the office visit and repeated for the third time that I wanted to know what "comprehensive hx," "comprehensive exam," and "Med Decision High Complex" meant. He told me he did not know and no one at United Health Care would know! So he could not switch me to a manager or another department since no one working at United Health Care knows what language is put in their letters.

No one knows EXACTLY why a claim was denied. No one knows why or why not an insurance company should pay a doctor's office - especially when the doctor is treating a chronically ill person since childhood. When I told him (Jan-juy) that I was not satisfied with the call because my question(s) were not answered, he asked if I wanted to file a complaint and I told him I was supposed to fill out a survey, which would be the same thing. He then put me hold instead of switching me over to the phone survey.

P.S. I wanted to know their terminology for the denial because I wanted to file an appeal with them. How am I supposed to file an appeal without knowing what the criteria for the denial was to begin with? Of course, some may say that is the reason United Health Care will not tell me what the three (3) key components actually mean.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Original review: June 13, 2016

Had to call because Customer Care had no idea where to send me. After being switched to 5 other numbers, I finally called this one which was given to me. Thought I was speaking to a nurse and it was a very nasty "Health" Care Associate. Extremely rude and stated he could not help me. When I vented about my experience, he stated, "Are you going to continue to insult me, or do you want me to transfer you to the appropriate division." I explained the division he was switching me to was the one who gave me the number I just called. I asked him if he owned the company since he felt I was insulting him personally. He had no response other than, "Do you want to be transferred". Would not answer any of my questions, would not give me his name, was not helpful at all. Sounded like he "Hated" his job when he answered the phone. No pleasantness about him and ruder as the conversation went on. More like a "smug" attitude.

This is not the kind of experience you like when you need assistance with your healthcare. What if someone was just inquiring about your company and did not have insurance with you. Does that mean they cannot get any answers. I had to give my entire history before they would even speak to me. Shame on you United Healthcare for hiring individuals such as this. Glad you will be leaving Florida in December. If only the President could hear our complaints and how you treat us. Read on United. Too many of us are unhappy. Perhaps that is why you are leaving the state! Enough said!

Original review: June 11, 2016

United Healthcare Oxford mailed me a letter telling me I had to move my prescription to mail order or it would no longer be covered. I have no problem with using their mail order service. But when I went to their website and tried to follow their instructions to enroll their website does not match their instructions. How hard is this to write instructions that match the menu items on their website? When I called them the pleasant man who answered had no idea about the web problem or how I could do this online. Instead he explained how I could have my doctor fax them a prescription. Seriously not professional. When I asked for a supervisor they put me on hold for 30 minutes. Then ask for my name again. Then suggest they can opt me out of this service. I have asked for a supervisor again. I cannot believe they are still in business.

Original review: June 10, 2016

I have used many insurance companies and have worked for several heath insurances companies, and can honestly say that UHC is the worst. There were problems with computer glitches that caused payments not to post and that caused a double payment to be withdrawn from my bank account. It was difficult to keep track of how much of a credit I had but thought it would balance out when I did my taxes because it was a Marketplace plan.

The first time, I had made a 2nd payment to my account before going to the pharmacy when I realized my first payment didn't post, but I ended up paying full cost. I was later reimbursed by the pharmacy. In December, I realized I had a partial payment due when I received an invoice from UHC in the mail. Immediately, I paid it online. But I had filled some prescriptions for my prescriptions which had $5 and $10 copays and later realized the full cost (approx. $170) was debited from my bank account (I had my bank card on file with the pharmacy -- not a good idea, I learned the hard way).

After seeing my bank statement in January and finally tracing the mystery charge to the pharmacy, I tried to get reimbursement but the pharmacy said it was too late and I needed to get reimbursed by the insurance company. I have filed claims reimbursement forms with Optum 3 times, explaining that I paid full price for covered drugs. Each time, I receive a letter denying my request for reimbursement. So, I keep calling United Health Care. Usually, a representative with UHC speaks with someone from Optum (once, I spoke to someone who identified herself as an Optum employee) and then am assured a check for the full amount is being sent out the following week or that it is being processed. So far, I have been reimbursed $1.64.

Although all of the representatives I've spoken with at UHC and Optum have been pleasant, all have foreign accents. The last person was hesitant to address my issue and then was in a hurry to get off the phone. Apparently, "Customer Service" for UHC and Optum has been outsourced to a foreign country and the representatives are woefully undertrained. They are simply told to lie to customers and put them off indefinitely. I have been going through this process for 5 months.

Original review: June 10, 2016

I had a PPO United dental insurance. Most of the in-network dentists have worst reviews, and many of them are non-existent in the list. The dentist I visited did not honor the price chart given by the insurance company, they want to charge me more than promised in the insurance charge list. This is my first and last deal with United Health Care. I wish I had seen those reviews before.

Original review: June 10, 2016

I work for a healthcare billing company and try to help our patients get their claims paid. Whenever I have a question, I will call their insurance regarding unpaid claims. I have NOT been able to reach the right claims department on the first try - they ALWAYS transfer my call. I have been transferred and then hung up on repeatedly. I have asked to speak with a claim representative within the USA when I have had trouble understanding the rep. and they have ALWAYS refused! There seems to be basically one phone number on every patient's ID card and yet whenever I call that number, it is NEVER the correct number! I am convinced that UHC trains their employees to very nicely transfer calls or hang up on customers, SO they do NOT have to answer questions about WHY THEY DO NOT PAY CLAIMS!!!

I would have complained to UHC, however THERE IS NO ONE WHO WILL SPEAK WITH ME!!! I just get transferred and then disconnected!!! The ONLY way I have been able to speak with someone about my complaint has been to call the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services - Medicare Advantage complaint department. That took 5 days but someone finally called me back. If you are having this same trouble, call Medicare and complain! Because no one at United Healthcare will answer the phone.

Original review: June 9, 2016

Customer service is horrid. The call goes to the Philippines and then they tell you that they have a bad connection and need to call you back, I think that is because it disconnects you from the customer service survey process. I was with BCBS for a number of years and was prescribed a particular medication. I recently changed jobs, and the new health care company is UHC. The plan is allegedly a good plan but the service is horrendous. They are denying everything. The doctor completed the preauthorization form and sent it back. Denied.

They wanted me to take a cheaper alternative that I failed on 2 years ago. The doctor filed the appeal and included the information that I already failed on that medication. Denied. The doctor got a message back that I, the patient, don't exist in their system. When I call to figure out where UHC fell down, I keep getting the runaround. All the while, I am without a medication that has serious withdrawal ramifications. Suddenly, some dingbats in an office are now doctors and decide what my medical treatment will be. I will fight UHC all the way, and I am looking for a lawyer as I write this. UHC is the WORST healthcare provider out there.

Original review: June 8, 2016

Absolute worst terrible insurance. Let me just begin saying this insurance is complete BS. My father has been dealing with sleep apnea for the longest time and it keeps getting worse. He has been to 2 different doctors who have sent referral to this crap insurance stating that he NEEDS a sleep study done. Each time they deny my father. Why? Because according to them my father doesn't meet their criteria. So are you saying a patient has to be in ill critical condition to get diagnosed? A patient isn't going to lie about not being able to sleep, breath, performance daily properly! If anyone is reading this and you have been denied and your father, mother, whoever gets hurt or dies after being denied you have the right to sue.

Original review: June 6, 2016

I have sent in pre-authorization letters over a couple of months ago for both my daughter and I. We both have dental work that has to be completed and the doctor suggest putting us to sleep to perform the procedures. I was told that the insurance doesn't cover this. I sent in letter over 2 months ago. I received letters stating I would received a response over a month ago, but I haven't. I called and was told that the letters were forwarded to the wrong department and would be rerouted. It's been 3 weeks now, still no response. Now my daughter is 11 and she needs a root canal. I have 3 wisdom teeth that must be pulled. What do I do?

Original review: June 3, 2016

If I could give UHC 0 stars, I absolutely would! It's awful. extremely awful. Every time I call with a problem, I'm told my premium hadn't been met and EVERY single time I am told a different amount that I owe. Customer service isn't great either. My mom had to call them for me because I was at work and I needed an issue solved ASAP. Not once but twice they hung up on her, and the sad part is, it wasn't the first time they have done that to us. Maybe if everyone there would get their ** together my mom or I wouldn't have to call at least once a week!

It's a struggle getting my medicine too! Every month they have to contact my doctor for a preauthorization. I've been on this medication for over a year! It's not a narcotic or anything along those lines. It's a antidepressant so in order to get my medication on time, I have to contact the pharmacy a week ahead of time; I even went through withdrawal from the medication because of the ** they made my doctor's office go through. My doctor even told me to my face that my insurance sucks.

Also as I mentioned earlier, they keep taking all my money, but it's not applied to my account. They just keep telling me that I haven't met my premium and I need to pay right then and there if I need something. So where the hell is my money going?! Those are just a few highlights. I could go on and on about this company. Just plan on taking a whole day to talk to these people. Even though more than likely you won't get anywhere. DON'T USE UHC!!!

Original review: May 31, 2016

My family got United Health Care when we moved states and our previous insurance didn't reach our area. It was a very expensive policy with very little benefits. It seemed as if they never covered the things they indicated they would cover, or at least to the amount that they specified they would. The website is also very confusing and incredibly difficult to navigate. This makes it difficult to find any information to clarify if more should have been covered or how to estimate the amount of the bill you will receive. Ultimately in being insured by them, our premiums went up and our deductible went up, but our coverage seemed to go down substantially. I would never choose, nor recommend United Health Care to anyone looking for insurance.

Original review: May 31, 2016

Broke my foot Sunday over memorial day. My primary care physician was closed. Went to an urgent care center. Was told to see an orthopedic. Tuesday when offices were back open United Health Care rep told me I had to see my primary physician to get a referral for the orthopedic doctor to see me. It will now be Wednesday before I can get any help. This is a broken system. All the while as a paying premium client have to suffer with a broken foot. This is a shame and needs to be corrected.

Original review: May 31, 2016

We have had this plan since the first day of 2016. We have had NOTHING but problems! We have officially learned that before you are seen or before anyone touches your chart within an in-network facility, you have to call UHC and give them the billable tax ID number to see if they are contracted with you specific plan. We pay $1028 every month for coverage for my husband, myself, and our 2 children and have paid more out of pocket than UHC has actually paid in claims! This should not be the case with a $500 deductible that was met in the first month! We are VERY dissatisfied and will never use UHC EVER AGAIN. This plan was purchased off the Washington Insurance Marketplace.

Original review: May 31, 2016

I started work with a new company that uses UHC. I live outside of their main area in the Northeast and when I used their website to look up providers I found none in the area. When I contacted them about this they told me the same thing. I cancelled the coverage and went on the very expensive COBRA plan available due to my old job. My HR department eventually gets to me and after further research finds that a different third-party website shows that I do have providers in my area. It is unacceptable that their website does not work properly and that their staff is unable to provide the information I need to make my insurance choices. Their misinformation has cost me thousands of dollars, countless hours, and a fair amount of stress all while I've been trying to deal with an important recent medical issue. If UHC is this terrible at providing simple information I worry about relying on it for any serious medical issue.

Original review: May 30, 2016

According to UHC a CT Scan of the abdominal area is unnecessary after a radiologist stated it was needed. I called several times on this, my doctor did the test they wanted and it was not helpful at all. I called to see if the CT scan was approved before making the appointment and was told on the phone it was. I had the CT scan done and then UHC came back saying it was medically unnecessary. They paid for the radiologist to read the CT scan. I am now stuck with a 6000.00 bill. Then to top it off they did not even apply any of this to my out of pocket monies. I contact my congressman and reported them.

Original review: May 28, 2016

They are too expensive and not very helpful. You all confirmed that I should not even bother to proceed. I am curious however, if most of you purchased through the government health exchange or directly from the company, was it individual or group rate with your workplace? I purchased Blue Shield through Covered California and have had the same experiences and then some! I was turned over to collections through the chaos in addition to a variety of other battles.

At first my providers had contracted with them so I switched from my COBRA plan over to them but the doctors were just discovering that they were being reimbursed at a very low rate. Long story short, I had to go back and pay for all my received services although I paid my $300 monthly premiums simultaneously. I work in the public health sector as an educator and in policy/advocacy work. For many years I could not purchase insurance due to my pre-existing conditions. I nearly died from a diseased gallbladder until I traded my 3 part times jobs for one company.

By the time my benefits had kicked in the surgeon stated that he had never seen anything like it over his 32 year career. My children had pre-existing conditions as well and when they finally were accepted, I was charged a premium rate plus a half due to these benign health conditions! It was $981 a month for the two of them until the Affordable Healthcare Act prohibited the pre-existing condition clause for children on October 1, 2010, then it was dropped to $619 a month. My surgery cost me $8,500 out of pocket because my company only offered a high deductible plan with a 30% co-insurance until my out of pocket maximum was met.

Shame on these insurance companies for finding all the loopholes to side-step the new laws as they are implemented. They decided to jip the healthcare providers and punish the patients so that their insane profits did not take a hit. It is so frustrating that the ACA had to be negotiated down then had to be passed "as is" due to the opposition. Healthcare is a right not a privilege! My heart aches for all of you. These CEOs are heartless! Thankfully they finally took Blue Shields non-profit status away last year after they discovered the board members salaries and the surplus of funds that were stocked. It is absolutely insane!!!

Original review: May 25, 2016

We enrolled in the Silver Compass plan with UHC through the Marketplace starting Jan 2016. We have NEVER been late on paying our premiums and have always paid them BEFORE due date, but UHC keeps showing our acct online as terminated. Go to pick up Rx meds and was told our insurance was cancelled and that we had a new member ID number and some changes in coverage. WHAT??? Called UHC and after constant calls and speaking with everyone and their dog at UHC they decided that our account was mixed up with someone in TX that supposedly had the same name and birthday and birth year. We live in NC.

A couple of weeks later they claim to have it straightened out and yes, the member ID number and group number that we originally were issued is the correct one. Disregard the one given by phone to the pharmacist trying to get validation. Yearly checkup - won't pay for bloodwork even though the policy clearly states that it would. ENDLESS phone calls, no one knows what is going on. This denial of bloodwork claim payment is still being disputed.

I make UHC monthly payments online at their billing exchange website. Go to make my next month payment for June this morning and, you guessed it, it says account terminated. AGAIN call UHC, give them all pertinent info. Ask them if I can make my payment by phone as I wanted to be sure it was reflected as paid. Rep. says no. He doesn't want to do this. It will just make it more confusing for them while they are trying to straighten things out?? This is beyond absurd. So what's gonna happen if I go to the hospital and need immediate lifesaving treatment? Are they going to claim I don't have coverage even though I know that I have always made my payments on time and am current? I would NEVER NEVER recommend this insurance company to anyone. Poor to nonexistent customer service. Constant reasons to deny paying on claims submitted. A sham and a ripoff.

Original review: May 21, 2016

Before I get started I want to share a link to find your state's agency that regulates insurance companies so you can file a formal complaint. **. Also, Google your state legislators and contact them. If anyone knows of an attorney who specializes in class action lawsuits against large companies, please post that here too. Also contact any local newspapers or consumer advocacy groups and explain that you think this company has a widespread practice of abusive and possibly illegal practices toward consumers. If we each do our best, together we can get public attention focused on this problem.

My problem with UHC is that doctors are listed as in network on UHC website and are given to you when you call UHC as in network doctors, but when you try to see the doctors, they are not contracted with UHC. I spent hours trying to find a PCP who really would accept the insurance. He now needs to refer me to a specialist and I can't find one. I have talked to numerous people in the UHC customer service department who all promise to find a doctor and get back to me, including a supervisor, but they never do. When I called back and asked for the supervisor by name, they said they would get him, but left me on hold for 40 minutes. Now when I call, they hang up on me (you have to enter your insurance id and birth date on the phone tree, so they probably know it's me).

For the record, I have called and called and been left on hold for eternities, but I have never been rude or said anything but patiently asking over and over for a specialist, so there is no reason to avoid my calls. I was told by an employee who works for my son's former pediatrician (we can't go there now because they don't take UHC insurance, despite being listed on the UHC website as taking it) that UHC listed tons of doctors on their website as in network who had never signed contracts with them. One of the people I talked to at UHC said that the doctors were contracted, but refused to see patients because UHC kept the amounts they paid the doctor very low. Incidentally, many of the doctors do take United Healthcare's Choice plan which is not offered on healthcare.gov, but through employers.

I recently read in the Arizona Republic newspaper that United Healthcare will not offer plans on healthcare.gov next year because they lost a lot of money on these plans. I also had a protracted 2-month battle to get UHC to cover my autistic son's medications. It took two appeals and a request for an external review to get him his prescriptions.

Original review: May 18, 2016

United Health Care is a predatory business scam. They are not customer friendly and refused to place me with their supervisor. They are trying to extort me for over $200 & threatening with collectors.

Original review: May 17, 2016

UHC makes my blood boil. I FINALLY just resolved a claims issue that has been nagging at me since July of 2015. The customer service agents are pretty useless and can never resolve anything. I swear all correspondence customers send in just go straight to the trash. I have mailed and faxed in several claims and they continue to "lose" them or say they were never received. Weird! My $450 premium check every month was never once lost. I am lucky enough that no major illnesses occurred during the 7 months I had this horrible insurance. Because it is literally a second job to try to get anything with them figured out. All this hassle I had to go through for a $350 claim; I can't imagine the headache something bigger would have been.

Original review: May 17, 2016

I made the mistake of signing up for this one day a couple of years ago while standing in front of a food bank in Seattle. The claim was that it would help my medical situation. That was a total lie! I have been trying ever since then to "cancel" the account but they just refuse to do so. So, today, I let them know that I will just go to the VA Legal Department and ask for help and also write my senator, Senator Patty Murray, and report that they are harassing disabled veterans. DO NOT let them talk you into anything. They are a total scam. As soon as I signed up, I started getting massive bills that were covered prior to getting involved with them. They have nothing to offer you except grief.

Original review: May 16, 2016

Engages in predatory and corrupt practices. While paying close to $2,000 per month for myself and my husband, the insurance has denied every claim. They did not pay for Emergency room visit because they didn't consider it to be critical. According to them I should NOT have had emergency surgery and should have instead died. When I went through routine procedures and check ups, they didn't cover the costs of treatments or medicine citing pregnancy is NOT covered. When I went through a specialist, again, they did not cover anything. They are a waste of money with the worst customer service who do not hesitate to hang up on you. They must be stopped!!!

Original review: May 12, 2016

It is time to stand up against this for profit healthcare organization which clearly does not give a damn about the people they provide a service for. This is a call to action. Anyone who has paid for any services not rendered by United Health Care please respond to this post! United Health Care took my $$$, then nullified my healthcare with no notice whatsoever while in the midst of a medical emergency!!! Read again!!! They billed me and took my money, premium and deductible payments from procedures done, then nullified my insurance!!! They did nothing to try to make it right until I threatened legal action, and they denied, denied, denied!!! These people are criminals and deserve to be taken to court! This is breach of contract to wit: services that were paid for and not rendered!! They lost records of the payments I made and were asking me for screenshots from my bank account!!!

As a healthcare company, United Health Care works in the capacity of fiduciary to its clients, yet this is clearly not the case as this for profit monster pays their ceo a whopping $66m a year salary! They continue to take advantage of those who don't know to speak out against misconduct and injustice! Join me and let your voice be heard! Seeking a CIVIL liberties attorney willing to work pro-bono to build a class action suit in Colorado and perhaps nationally vs united healthcare for breach of contract and failure to render services paid for. This could be a pivotal case given the political climate, and I believe I am not the only one to experience such an injustice! Please email: **, and tell us your story. Lawyers interested in representing this case please put "injunction" in subject line.

Original review: May 10, 2016

Let me just start by saying that both my sister and girlfriend have also had issues with UHC ranging from billing issues, to double coverage/ wrong coverage... I thought surely United Health Care can't be as terrible as I had heard from everyone. They offered a plan that was not as overpriced as some of the other insurance companies so I thought I'd roll the dice. Unfortunately you get what you pay for, and in this case it doesn't even apply to the health coverage.

I first paid the monthly premium in December 2015 to begin coverage for the 2016 year on a Bronze HSA plan and set up for payments to be auto drafted from my account. February rolled around and I notice that they overcharged me $51.96. I called and inquired about the overcharge and they stated that is the premium, for the plan I have. (It was not). Somehow they changed the plan that I signed up for and had me on a new more expensive plan that I did not choose.

I tried to change it back to the correct plan but they directed me to the marketplace (also a complete joke). The marketplace stated that either they or United Health Care made a mistake (neither company would shoulder the blame for the error) but the market place asked UHC to change the policy back to the correct policy. I thought everything was resolved, then I was overcharged another 51.96 for February. I called in and escalated to a supervisor to try and get something done, they apologized and said that I would have 103.92 refunded to my acct, and not to worry the confusion had been resolved. I checked on Aprils payment and it went back down to the proper amount owed so I assumed as it is a big poorly run company it might just take a while...

Now May rolls around, still debiting payments from my acct like clockwork, but I receive a notice in the mail about the other more expensive "Silver" plan that I never should have had which says, "We did not receive payment in time for the plan listed below. Your coverage and any dependent coverage ended on 2/29/2016". As this was supposed to be canceled and I shouldn't be receiving a notice like this I decided to take time out of my day to make sure everything was okay. That's when I found out that although UHC has been taking money out of my account since the beginning of the year every month that they dropped my coverage (THE CORRECT COVERAGE) last month due to non payment claiming that I owe them more money.

I am in the process of trying to get someone who is halfway intelligent with authority to do something to rectify the situation but unfortunately I am getting nowhere... I will keep trying and maybe have to get a lawyer involved but long story short BUYER BEWARE. Do not choose United Health Care, run in the other direction. I would say it is a miracle that they are even in business but improperly/overcharging their customers is one way to stay in business... P.S. I still haven't received the $103.92 they overcharged me from 3 months ago.

Original review: May 6, 2016

MDIPA agents are NOT ABLE TO PERFORM TASKS. On that premise, it is unclear exactly the root cause for that inability which could imply: a) agents are not trained on MDIPA data retrieval services; b) agents have never used the internet for basic research; c) the MDIPA system does not provide agents with correct functionality; d) MDIPA as a business is so inept that they don't believe they exist to serve customers, etc.

Here is my case: I held 2 out of state office visits and 1 out of state imaging visit (MRI) all were considered in network, with referral numbers presented by my local physician, and, included full assurance by the out of state doctors office that everything was covered, before I consumed any service. I returned back in-state and received an MDIPA claim report for several thousand dollars stating a denial of each of 3 out of state events. I began over 3 weeks ago calling MDIPA, setting up the problem to be resolved and letting them do their job.

Today was my 5th and 6th attempts where my patience ended for a number of reasons: a) MDIPA agents had limited to no knowledge of activities performed by other agents up to that point in time; b) MDIPA agents could not state the problem they were attempting to resolve; c) MDIPA agents were calling incorrect doctors offices, getting false information, and not questioning it and worse, resolving in their notes that my doctors out-of-state appointments never occurred, regardless of my receipts from visits and imaging orders offered to the contrary; d) MDIPA agents were completely inept at using the internet for basic searches to identify and locate doctors, their offices, so as to obtain correct phone numbers to resolve the problem; e) MDIPA agents had little to no idea what activities to resolve the problem that former agents had engaged in and/or resolved.

f) It is apparently the responsibility of the customer holding the policy to take personal time from their work day that has to be repaid, so as to perform MDIPA agents activities on behalf of MDIPA. Shouldn't that imply MDIPA should be paying me? g) Is it apparently the responsibility for customers to engage MDIPA agents in a uni-directional conversation given that MDIPA agents have never returned calls or seem to find it important to contact customers, etc.

One thing is clear - Something in MDIPA is COMPLETELY INEPT AND BROKEN. It is also CLEAR that they do not care to provide industry best practice (if any) for customers, yet, have no issues collecting high premium charges for services not rendered. As a seasoned IT-Data Center and Systems Engineering Professional, it is CLEAR that either MDIPAs training, or supporting IT services, or both are BROKEN and that their business offices are either DISENGAGED or UNCONCERNED with customer service and support.

Original review: May 4, 2016

United Health Care joined the NY Marketplace (Obamacare in New York State) without signing on any doctors to take the plan. They charged hundreds of dollars monthly to their customers but failed to persuade their providers to take the Marketplace plans. I was a member for 2 months. During that time I had 2 miscarriages because I was unable to get a prescription for my Thyroid disorder. You see, I couldn't find a doctor who would take my plan. There weren't any. In desperation, I found a navigator to help me select another insurance company. Please understand that I spent AT LEAST 16 hours on the phone with these people. AT LEAST 10 hours calling providers to see if they took the plan. AT LEAST 5 hours trying to find out what was actually going on.

I'm a very intelligent person. I get what I want. I find answers quickly. I'm not a pushover and I ask the right questions. Just think about people with less resources, less confidence? It doesn't end there. Just this past week, I tried to fill a prescription but United Health Care was showing up as my primary insurance at the pharmacy. After 8 hours of phone calls, the Marketplace, United Health Care and I got a on a conference call, wherein the Marketplace asked UHC why they thought I was currently enrolled when I hadn't made a payment in over 15 months. UHC was unable to answer the question. I spent 8 hours trying to get my medication. Again, I'm intelligent enough to get to to the bottom of things quickly. 8 hours. The people who run this company are criminals. They steal money from people like me. Don't let them steal yours.

United Health Care Company Information