1.85/5
Based on 225 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1323 United Health Care Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 1, 2016

In December I signed my wife and son up for a UHC Gold Plan in Texas. At that time I verified that their doctors and medications were covered by this plan, which was confirmed. At that time I was told that we could choose their primary care doctors. My wife's choice for PCP was her gynecologist, which they confirmed was fine. Well, that was the first lie. We found out in late January, when I called UHC that she could not use her gynecologist, even though he's on her plan. Then, UHC billed us twice around January 20th, 2016. Billing said they would send a refund check.

It's been almost 6 weeks, and we've received no check, no credit, no confirmation of one coming. Thirdly, and this is the most harmful fraud of all is that even though I verified my wife's prescription medications in December before signing up with them, and even though their two Apps (myUHC and OptumRx) showed her medications as being covered for her plan after putting her ID card registration in, which I have pictures of, they have denied coverage, and since my wife just ran out 5 days ago, her psychological health is in jeopardy.

These are medications that she's been on for 15 years and were covered by Golden Rule and Cigna, but UHC has fraudulently denied them, blaming no prior authorization from her psychiatrist, them blaming OptumRx, who in turn blames UHC. My wife's psychiatrist has filed an appeal, but according to her, UHC will drag this out for months, and they are the worst healthcare company to deal with. If this were a cancer or diabetes drug, she'd be dead! As it is, I may have to have her committed. So, I will take this to the insurance board of Texas, the Texas attorney general's office, the BBB, and all internet complaint sites.

Original review: Feb. 29, 2016

Enrolled in Bronze Compass 5500 plan with United Health Care through Marketplace Exchange. Online payment made but never made it into system. Coverage terminated without notice. UHC admits it was done in error but after spending 2 weeks making numerous phone calls nothing has changed. UHC billing page shows coverage in terminated status. Benefits page shows coverage still in effect. UHC will only accept phone payment directly from my banks accounts, which I refuse to do. They will not accept debit card or credit card payment on phone. When I go to webpage to pay online it won't let me because my coverage says "terminated." It's a total Catch-22.

None of their customer service specialists have been able to reinstate my coverage despite claiming they have initiated reinstatement many times. There was a 5-day waiting period that is long passed. I can't get another healthcare plan because open enrollments are all done. We are totally screwed. We will pay, no problem! We should not have to give UHC direct access to our bank accounts to do so! This is criminal.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2016

Clearly United Healthcare is well aware of the insurmountable issues they have in customer service. They use call centers in other countries for healthcare!! Additionally they unknowledgeable employees, specifically in the "prior authorization" department. Because of my employer group plan, we are with United Health. A prescription I have filled for 5 years with no issues AND other insurance providers have covered, United customers service says "no DENIED". I am advised (after paying the full cost charged by the pharmacy) by United customer service (AFTER 3 1 hour phone calls) to call the prior authorization department. The first call I followed the instructions of phone agent. Again United denied. I called back to prior authorization, followed their instructions which included a form filled out by my dr/staff and then I call again. I'm told it is the incorrect form. I requested the form. I am told rudely, the dr will know which form.

By this time I am extremely frustrated. The lack of consideration for the health care professionals is inexcusable. I call my dr's office and they have no idea why the form is incorrect. I call United back again. Prior authorization refused to fax or email the correct form to my doctor. I found a very helpful United customer service rep that escalated and found someone to help. United Healthcare behaves as though this is my job, my career to make sure the correct forms are being used. They act as though the healthcare professionals have nothing better to do than to create ways of wasting their precious time.

Every time I see one of their commercials I think why are spending money there instead of improving their system? They could care less about any of us and clearly there is a group that is gaining from what the members are losing. My hope is that there will be continued investigations into their poor, unprofessional treatment of the members.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2016

Husband is an retired iron worker - we had to change to United. We're very upset - but no problems whatsoever. Very satisfied. They have sent information to us. Calendars silver sneaker cards... using same dr. No problem with any meds. And we take some very expensive ones.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

United Health One consistently fails to automatically process payments, and sends out "Final Notice" for payments. The "Contact Us" page provides a phone number to an IVR - no option to email, let alone chat. Talking to an actual human can take upwards of an hour or more on hold. As a monopoly in my area, the cost is astronomical to begin with.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

I have recently become an independent contractor and signed up for United Health Care COMPASS insurance through open marketplace for 2016. It cost $1200 a month for my husband and I. I spent 3 hours yesterday calling all the doctors on their provider list looking for a primary care physician. No doctor takes this insurance! I called customer service and they just keep sending me their provider list. I feel like I am losing my mind. I am paying a lot of money for an insurance that I cannot use and the insurance company keeps sending me the list of the same providers that I already called. I live in downtown Manhattan. The latest provider list I received lists doctors in New Jersey and in Brooklyn. I think it is an unreasonable expectation that a person seeking medical care will travel across state border to receive medical help or a referral to a specialist. I am absolutely stunned by this situation and, honestly, don't know what to do.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

In June of 2015 I had a surgical prostate procedure. The hospital wanted over $500 before I even had the surgery. We used my wife's flex spending account to pay the hospital. When the claim processed, it was denied and deemed experimental. The hospital and I both appealed the decision. At the end of October, I got a letter from United stating that they accepted the appeal and would pay the hospital and the surgeon. All of this time, the hospital has been holding the money which we paid them in June. Two surgeries later, I met my maximum out of pocket which was $2,500, and that meant that the hospital was not entitled to any of that money.

After numerous calls to the hospital and United, I thought that I was finally getting a resolution in January. Sadly that was not the case. I was told that the checks would be mailed out, and I believe that they were. Rachael was the name of the United employee that helped me and told me that since I had met my maximum out of pocket, nothing would be due from me. When I received the explanation of benefits for the hospital bill, I was shocked to see that I could be billed for over $5,900 for supplies that were not allowed. After talking to another United employee, I was relieved when she told me that it was coded wrong and that I owed nothing.

I was bummed about the fact that it would take up to three weeks to send out the explanation of benefits to myself and the hospital. Of course every time that I spoke with the reps at United, it was made clear that this was a very important issue to me because the hospital would not give the money back until they had the EOB and this could be a closed case. Well after speaking to Rachael today, I found out that no letters have even been sent out yet, even though it is now several days past the three weeks that I was told. As I sit here typing this, the hospital has now been holding our money for over 8 months! Rachael told me that the letters will be mailed next Monday. Even knowing that I have been waiting for several months to get the money returned to us, the best that she could do is to mail it out 6 days from now. DISGRACEFUL!

It is obvious to me that United does not care at all to ensure that things are done correctly. They also do not have any concern for the people that they are supposed to be serving. I truly hope that an attorney sees what has gone on here and contacts me about what has gone on here. It should not be legal to hold onto money when it is not yours. I am being punished because of the incompetence of the employees at United. I have been lied to on numerous occasions. The lack of caring and the speed at which they handle claims is truly mind boggling. I'm confident in saying that it will be at least 9 months after the surgery until we get our money back. I would find this whole thing hard to believe if I was not dealing with it myself.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2016

I've been looking for an in-network mental health provider for YEARS. Went through 3 UHC professionals who dropped UHC after 4 months of starting work with them. Recently had an emergency situation, and spent over an hour on the phone (after ** around on the website trying to find what I needed for a half hour, complete with multiple time-outs and needing to log in again and again) to be shuffled from one barely comprehensible, thickly-accented, useless, impatient, grumpy peon to another.

Note - each of these grumpy peons had a completely different website that WASN'T LINKED TO THE MAIN UHC WEBSITE that I had to type in manually. And each of these websites had technical difficulties which were obviously "on my end" according to the huffy "support" personnel. Count: 5 escalations, 60 minutes combined phone time, not including the initial 15 minutes on hold waiting for a real person to answer the phone. The last person I spoke with was finally able to tell me she just couldn't help me. Die in a fire, United Health Care. You're completely useless. Why am I paying premiums? Why isn't there a class action lawsuit against you quacks yet?

Original review: Feb. 21, 2016

I needed two teeth capped. There was no dentist in this area in their system. I called and they said to get the work done and they would pay me back. It cost $4000.00. I sent them all the bills. After two months, they sent me a check for $25.00. Stay away from them. They are crooks, liars, thieves and a lot more but I am trying to be nice.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2016

I had been prescribed a daily medication by a family doctor and again by a specialist who called in a prescription for 30 days. When I got it home, I found out that these people agreed with the daily dosage but only allowed 3 pills per month. Repeated calls by my pharmacist, Doctors and me failed to change their mind - the only advice that they could give my was to buy it online at my own expense. I found a source online which was only 1/2 of what these people were charging me on the copay for the 3 pills they gave me. They also refused a prescription for a medication which is only manufactured in a sixty day supply. That approved the drug but only for 30 days even though nobody manufactured it in 30 day dosages. These are totally dishonest people who manufacture reasons to avoid paying legitimate claims.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2016

I made this account so that I could review United Healthcare specifically. Almost everyday there is an issue with United, either canceling my plan for no reason or not processing my payments. I have spent COUNTLESS HOURS on the phone trying to fix my insurance plan because of mistakes on their end. Last year, I had to file a formal complaint with the Division of Consumer Services because they had enrolled me in two healthcare plans at the same time, and were insisting that I pay the premiums for both for five months. This went on from July until November. After trying everything through their customer service and billing phone numbers I eventually compiled my payments in a credit card statement and what they showed online, along with a letter detailing my frustration and the situation. It was finally resolved by the state.

I should have known to cancel my plan with United then, but I don't want to find new doctors because of different insurance so I have stuck with them. The problems have only continued. This January (two months after that last issue), United Healthcare canceled my insurance without any authorization. I was still in the grace period, when I asked why it was canceled they said they didn't know. My insurance was reinstated but I still had to pay premiums for January and February despite not "technically" being insured because of their constant mistakes.

To give you an idea of what having a plan with United is like: Today I could not get my prescription at the scheduled time because United still reflected that I had not paid my premium. The $588.11 that I owed for January and February was taken out of my account on Wednesday, February 17th. I had to call United and ASK THEM to please update their system to reflect those payments. Do not, under any circumstances, opt into a plan with United. You will face constant problems, poor customer service, and ridiculous answers to the most basic questions. Worst company I have ever dealt with in my life.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2016

I was insured by United Healthcare for most of 2015. During open enrollment I found a new and better policy that fit my needs for 2016. I went online and "unchecked" the box that allowed United Healthcare to automatically withdraw the monthly payment to them from my bank account. I then paid my last premium via credit card. I never rechecked the automatic payment option. I checked my bank statement and saw that UHC withdrew the next month's payment from my bank without my permission. When I called the gentleman (Kim) acknowledged the error and said for some reason their system reverted back to the auto payment option. He saw where I opted out but said he would have to submit a form to their Finance Dept. requesting reimbursements for the funds that they withdrew from my bank account WITHOUT MY PERMISSION.

I followed up about a week later and they said that they are denying my refund because I did not officially cancel my policy through the Maryland Marketplace. I told them I tried to cancel with The Maryland Marketplace but could not get through to them. (When you call you just stay on hold forever.) I understand that I did not cancel through The Maryland Marketplace but that does not allow them to withdrawal an automatic payment without my permission. I then spoke with a Supervisor (Terry) who said there was nothing she could do and has no idea how or why their system "popped back on" the option for automatic payment. So she admits their system "pooped back on" that option without my knowledge. I pleaded with her because the payment is quite high. She finally admitted that she does not have the authority to give me a refund. She said I had to talk to her Finance Department.

I asked for their phone # and she said she doesn't know it and has no way of finding it for me. So a Supervisor in United Healthcare's Customer Service Department acknowledges that their system in error reverted or in her words "popped back on" the option to automatically withdraw a payment from my bank. She then has no authority to refund what is owed to me. She also has no access to the Finance Department who she says is the Department that I need to speak to to get the refund owed to me. UHC admits their error but still refuses to refund me the high monthly payment owed to me. I will be lodging a formal complaint with the Maryland Insurance Board and with any other agency I can find to report that United Healthcare withdrew money from my bank account without my permission and admitted it but they still refuses to reimburse me!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2016

On February 1st 2016 I made a payment to my daughter's health insurance premium online through the United Health Care Billing website. I attempted a payment and it didn't go through and I never received a confirmation number. So I waited a few minutes then I attempted to make the payment again and it went through and I received a confirmation number. The next day I noticed upon checking my bank account online they had charged my account twice for the premium amount of $368.12 which was still pending.

On February 3rd I contacted the UHC billing department about the pending charges. They said there was nothing they could do and I would have to wait until it posted to my account. I called back later that day and spoke with another representative and they put in a ticket number for the pending refund to be reviewed. I was told to call back in 5 business days to check on the status of the refund.

I called again on February 11th and the representative that I spoke with checked with the resolution/accounting department and told me that I should see the refund credited back to my account between February 15th-17th, which I did not receive. On Feb. 18th I called again to let them know that I still have not received my refund. They kept asking me if I wanted to just use it for the next month's premium. I made it clear to them that I wanted a refund and not a credit for next month's premium. This time I was told by a supervisor that I would have to wait another 5 business days before I would receive a refund. I told her that was not good enough but was told that there was nothing more she could do. So I attempted to contact someone at the Corporate Headquarters to file a complaint and I believe I was rerouted back to the Billing Department.

The representative that I spoke with this time, (after putting me on hold to find out more information on the status of my refund) proceeded to tell me that I would not be getting my refund back until Feb. 29th. Again, I told them it was not acceptable and how frustrated and upset I was over this matter. I also told them that I would be looking into reporting/filing formal complaints against their billing practices. I was told different dates by different reps ever time I called.

The supervisor that I personally spoke with (which is the last thing these reps want you to do) was not helpful at all and was not very nice about it. This was an error in their computer system and not an error on my part. It should NOT take more than 5 business days to refund a fraudulent charge. They caused my bank account to overdraw. I'm afraid it will happen again and again. I'm going to look into changing to a different company (especially after reading all the negative reviews). Not sure if it's possible though for this year.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2016

I have had several bad experiences with this company. I specialize in sleep disorders. The studies I request are capriciously denied, and UHC requires the physician to call, and often I must remain on hold for the better part of an hour. It can take them over a month to review a case for authorization for a study, and then, when it is denied, they will give a reason that suggests they did not read the documentation that they sent. The only way to overturn a denial is to have a "peer to peer" review, which means another wait for a phone call. I have a strong feeling that they deliberately create barriers to care, so that less tenacious requests will simply give up. I can't stand working with this company!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2016

I have been nothing but disappointed since I began with United Healthcare in October of 2015. So much so that I am willing to put my son back on my work insurance and pay 100 dollars more a month for any other company. My plan was cancelled without my notice (I have paid all my premiums on time) and I had to call more than 7 times to get it reinstated in order to take my son to the doctor. I can't wait until April 1st so my son can be on other insurance. Avoid this company at all costs!!!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2016

Worst customer service I've ever dealt with in my whole life. They owe me a reimbursement of 2 premiums. I've sent in the proof they've required. They don't return phone calls, or my money - so far. I don't have time to make constant phone calls/emails. I'm absolutely appalled at their lack of professionalism. Changing companies ASAP.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2016

Have been with Part D company. This year they doubled my rates (hello there was no cost of living) denied 80% of the medication I have been taking the last 6 years. It's very sad when dictatorship overrides a person's health and well being. They are crooks and bullies. Made a phone call, asked the rep for a supervisor and a racial slur was made towards me. HUNG the phone up, was not going to get my BP through the roof!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2016

Ok so this is our second year with United Health Care and so far they really don't do their job! So my husband has a pre existing condition Gout and he has been taking Uloric, Colcrys and Meloxicam for years to manage his Gout levels and pain. In January 2016 we send for a refill and It was denied. I call United Health care and they told me the Doctor needs to call them to do a pre-approval for all medication and that Colcrys will no longer be covered because is a plan exclusion (by the way I am paying for the best PPO plan they offered). I called my doctor and I explain to him, he called the insurance. They said it would take between 2-15 days to get it approved.

2 weeks later I called again. They said the doctor never called. I called my doctor once again. He called them. Once more they said "he didn't". So on the 3rd time the doctor called and called me right back to tell me they talked to them already. So I wait 6 days to make sure they approve the medication. I called today and they tell me it is denied and they have no reason for the denial. At this point my husband is in a lot of pain, can't work, can't move and I am so frustrated and have no idea how to proceed. I need help!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2016

I have had the unfortunate experience of health insurance "coverage" through United for the past two years via my employer. They are a complete scam. They won't cover anything or even accept/process claims because they falsely state that I have primary care through another provider. I have no other insurance, nor a spouse or any situation by which I could obtain other insurance. I have called them many times about this issue and they keep saying they will fix it but they have to "hack their system" to do it... Seriously!?! What kind of obnoxious system do they have?!?

I will tell you their system... It is to make profit and deny any coverage and make lame excuses until you are sick to death. They say they will call back... Nope, never do. I have to keep calling them and every time, it is the same story and they say they will fix it. This company is the worst. Because they falsely claim not to be my primary insurance, I don't even get the discounted insurance rate for my out-of-pocket expenses. It is as if I don't have insurance at all while paying about $400/mo in premiums.

The only fortunate thing for me is that I am in amazingly good health so have not had to deal with them much because I rarely see a doctor. That, and I have changed jobs and moving on to hopefully better insurance. I pray for all the people out there dealing with them and may God send us a lawyer who will take on a class action lawsuit against this criminal company... I know the case would be won easily seeing and hearing about the similar cases out there.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2016

I switch plans with my employer who offer UHC as our primary plan and it would be less expensive for me. In November 2015 my doctor prescribed me an antibiotic, which UHC did not cover and I had to pay out of pocket. Here we are in February and I am need for some other type of medications and UHC did not cover my prescription again.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2016

I am insured by UnitedHealthcare and they refuse to cover my bills. I have had a supervisor refuse to help me. They have spoken to the old insurance carriers and verified that I was not covered and still refuse to cover my bills.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2016

I signed up for UHC through the Market Place. I called on Jan 11th to pay my premium thinking it was due on Jan 15th 2016. I was informed I was cancelled due to non-payment on the 1st of January and I had to call the Market Place to reinstate me. I received a letter days letter dated on the date I called stating I was cancelled due to non-payment. Coincidence? I called the Market Place - they submitted a claim to their Health Plan Specialist. I got a phone call from the Health Specialist saying everything was taken care of. Then I received a letter from UHC saying they reviewed the request and cannot be reinstated effective 1-1-2016 and I will owe a penalty at tax time for not having health coverage. I called them and asked why I could not be reinstated. They said it was because the Market Specialist put reinstatement date for January 1st and not the following month for February.

I need to contact the Market Place and let them know to date it for Feb 1st. I did and the lady gave me a 411 on when you apply on the Market Place when payments are due. I tried to tell her what UHC representative told me about reinstatement for the following month of Feb. She said there was nothing she could do because it was up to the Market place specialist and it shows I am active. Called UHC again before Feb 1st to see if it was fixed to pay my premium and they said no I was still cancelled.

Called the Market Place again. The young man informed me that there was nothing that could be done and I should have paid by January 1st. Frustrated I started crying and he was like "sorry Ma'am nothing can be done about it" and sign up for coverage in November. I called back to talk to someone else and she was nice but re-submitted my claim to the Health Specialist Department. I said, "okay but I already did this and UHC refused to reinstate once before." What do I do if they refuse me again? She said they wont. I still have no coverage for my children.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2016

My mother-in-law was rehabbing in a nursing home from a broken ankle. United Healthcare stopped paying benefits as soon as she passed the bridge and at that time UHC would be responsible for 100 percent of her daily nursing home stay up to day 100. They denied her benefit stating that she did not need nursing home care. Nobody at the nursing home agreed with this assessment. We appealed this having to go by their process. It took six months to complete this difficult process but we finally got our hearing in the firm. I had a conference call with an administrative law judge. I was very sure that I would win.

I did win but not in the manner that I expected. As soon as the hearing began the UHC representative conceded the case so I won without uttering a word on behalf of my mother-in-law. I was very surprised especially considering how difficult they made the appeal process. They try and intimidate you and placards lot of roadblocks in the way but just follow the appeal process and don't give up. I did this by myself and it worked. I saved my in-laws about $7,500 in spite of UHC.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2016

I went through the Healthcare.gov in Dec 2015 to insure my wife and had to choose United Healthcare of Alabama, premium was $405 paid Jan 1st. Went for a Doctor visit and Bam! NO INSURANCE! Made phone call to Obama care and they said all application were complete and if payment was made, I should have coverage. Called UHC approx the middle of Jan and was told that my payment did not process due to high volume of enrollment, after about a hour on the phone explaining how to get reimbursement for out of pocket payments they said problem was corrected and coverage was confirmed. Well another doctor visit said differently, NO COVERAGE! (More $ paid out of pocket.) Another phone and they told me I had coverage and gave me a ID# to show the doctor until my papers and ID card came in the mail.

Today Feb 9th 2016 went to local pharmacy to have some meds refilled and the pharmacist told me he needed Bin # and group # so I called UHC and got the #'s thinking she was covered. After filling the prescription he informed me she had no ins. I called and after talking to a lady for approx 30 mins who acted like she was confused or trying to make up a story about my payment I ask for a supervisor, on hold for 30 more mins the line was disconnected! Called back and ask for a supervisor who stated that my Jan 1st payment was not processed until Jan17th and then cancelled by the market place for some unknown reason.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2016

We signed up and made our first payment for the coverage of United Healthcare in December 2015. On January, we called UHC for access the primary healthcare listings. Made an appointment and when we tried to verify our PCP online we found that we were not registered. When called UHC, we were informed that we were no longer covered due to "lack of payment" when we had already paid in December for January's premium. The customer representative informed us that we short $2. We then made the payment immediately over the phone, this was Jan. 23. Today is February 7 and we still have no coverage. This company had drop us after the fact that we prove to them that the funds were already collected. We had to contact our bank to verify payment via statement. My husband is a diabetic, he needs his check ups on regular basis. He also needs to see a Sports Medicine Physician as well as a Urologist and a Ophthalmologist.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2016

They told me on joining I would have a $20.00 to pay on my doctor bills and I would never have to pay more. Ha ha THEY DON'T PAY ANYTHING! Left me with thousands in bills and to make things worse after canceling their service they are still taking money out of my bank. They claim they can't stop taking my money for another cycle and they won't put a manager on the phone with me... Living on less than a $1000.00 a month and having them take 20% of my income and pay out nothing is to me unbelievable. I am down to 1 meal a day because of these lying thieves... I can’t believe how they have scammed this old man.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2016

I recently called my pharmacy to refill a prescription for Cipro. My prescription regimen has not changed in 15 years. However in this case United Healthcare denied to pay for the prescription and instead recommended another antibiotic. Even the pharmacist told me that what they recommended would not treat the anything near what Cipro was prescribed for. I then called United Healthcare and they said there was a drug interaction rejection (which they didn't know what drug it was). That CVS would have to call my doctor and then call them back. I reminded them that my doctor was the one that prescribed the medication in the first place. They wouldn't budge. So it's a Friday, so they are going to deny an antibiotic for the full weekend and let me get worse in my illness until Monday causing who knows what damage.

They have not only inconvenienced me to call them, they now want to inconvenience CVS to call my Dr. and then call them back and deny me the medication for a full weekend just to try to get out of paying for something I have used for years. This should be criminal and when they insert their ridiculous processes onto other people they should have to pay a surcharge to every single company or individual they make take time out of their day to cater to their ridiculous processes. United Health Care should be sued and forced out of business! I'll be posting this to every social media around. They deserve the one star rating they have.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2016

I signed up with UHC late December via Healthcare Marketplace. I called UHC and made my payment over the phone. The rep I spoke with applied it to someone else. It has been a nightmare from there. After twice weekly phone calls, 20+ hours they are REFUSING to fix it. I have submitted proof more than once. I have never worked with such an inept company. Frankly I hope they go out of business - that is how bad their systems plus customer service is.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2016

Prior to going to my doctor on 10-23-2014, I used the UHC estimator on their website to verify coverage for a shingles vaccine. I was told that for a 57 yr. old, it was 100% covered & "Good Job" on preventive care. That information was absolutely INCORRECT! I have been fighting with UHC for 16 months now. They state that it was only covered if I was 60 yrs. old (which is not what their estimator said). It stated that I would have $0 out of pocket cost. If they would have told me that it was only covered for 60 yr. olds, I would have waited the 3 yrs. to get the vaccine.

I appealed their decision that the bill was processed correctly. They kept changing whose responsibility the $210 was. I had asked for an external review 4 times & was never given this option. All the reviews were internal reviews done by UHC so what would you think the outcome would be, of course in their

favor. I had informed UHC that my pharmacist told me, after the fact, that had I gotten the shingles vaccine from him, that it would have been covered. My 57 yr. old husband did get the vaccine from our pharmacist & it was indeed 100% covered. I asked why UHC didn't tell me this because I would most certainly have gone to the pharmacy to get the shot & saved myself all this grief.

I have 100 pages of documentation with UHC & about 50 phone calls & emails to them. On 9-23-2015, they sent me a letter stating "You have no responsibility for this claim. The provider cannot bill you for the difference between the contracted rate and the billed charges". I forwarded this information to the provider & thought the case was finally settled. Imagine my horror when I received a call from a collection agency stating that I owed the $210 & that UHC reprocessed the claim again & now I was responsible for the bill. UHC didn't even have the decency to contact me to let me know. I had to find out from a collection agency. The agency informed me that they would report me to the Credit Bureau & ruin my credit if I did not pay the $210 by 2-14-16. My credit score is 840 & I have never had an issue with bad debt prior to this nightmare.

I was at my wit's end & sent a letter to the CEO of UHC. He forwarded the letter to their Consumer Affairs dept. I just received a letter from them again stating they would not pay. In the letter it states "You may wish to check with your pharmacy regarding whether they will reimburse you for the charges." Because
I have been fighting this for 16 months, we don't even have the same pharmacy provider anymore. Like I said, had they told me to go to my pharmacy to get the vaccine, I would absolutely have done that. I have been given the runaround by UHC & they will not accept responsibility for their error. The letter I

received from their Consumer Affairs dept. is a joke. She states "If you have a question on what your plan will cover, call your medical claims administrator's customer service dept."

I have had many, many conversations with "customer service" & they have been absolutely no help whatsoever. They tout their estimator as a great tool to be used by subscribers. How great is it when it gives INCORRECT information. Her statement to call customer service after using the estimator basically tells me that they have no faith in the accuracy of their estimator. How do you run a business like that? I feel I did everything I was supposed to prior to getting the shingles vaccine & I relied on the information I was given by UHC, which turned out to be false. Isn't it reasonable to expect that the information you are given on the company's website is accurate & shouldn't they stand by that information?

"Under the law of most jurisdictions in the U.S., insurance companies owe a duty of good faith and fair dealing to the persons they insure". I do not believe UHC is meeting that obligation. They have basically given me the runaround time & time again. They are exhibiting "bad faith" all around. I do not want my credit ruined because of this. I have worked in the healthcare field for 33 yrs. & am very knowledgeable about insurance. I give patients estimates as part of my job & if I feel the estimate is not accurate, I will not give the patient the estimate. I do that rather than give them wrong information. Unfortunately I cannot go to the Office of the Commissioner of Insurance for our state because this is a self-funded plan.

I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I find it interesting that UHC's score is "D-" according to the BBB & rightfully so. You cannot believe how frustrating this has been dealing with UHC. If I had a choice, I would never choose UHC as my health insurance carrier & would never recommend it to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2016

Recently I have been diagnosed with a health issue that is causing compression on a nerve. It has been affecting my life since May 2015. My surgeon recommended surgery and put in a pre-authorization. UHC has denied it on 2 occasions wanting to see muscle weakness or nerve damage before approving. I have been suffering for months and UHC doesn't seem to care! Insurance companies have gone downhill so far, it's not about the patient anymore, if it even ever was, it's about how much money they can keep within the company. Meanwhile, I am at the point where I can no longer wash my hair without pain. I guess we just keep trying. I mean, what's a little nerve damage and blood clotting?

United Health Care Company Information