1.45/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 22, 2018

1265 United Health Care Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 7, 2016

I've had UHC for a year now. I have a platinum family plan & one would think this would be good. I've had nothing but trouble with this company. Their customer service people are very pleasant on the phone but they don't solve any issues. The company is a bureaucratic mess. The system in which they have unskilled customer service representatives working in a joke. No one can really solve an issue once it gets into their system the wrong way, It's utterly frustrating. I'm seriously thinking about contacting the insurance commissioner in my state & see if I can lodge a complaint.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2016

It is the worst company ever in this country. They will do anything not to pay their bills. And their premium is higher than other companies and their copays is higher. I cannot understand why Tricare signed a contract with them. They do not want to cover medication procedures or labs, they make the patient and doctor life hell. THEY are being SUED by SEVERAL STATES in this COUNTRY and STILL this government use them, they must have a connection or someone in their pocket.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2016

On the phone, I was transferred 4 times to the wrong place. Called in 3 different times during the day. The first month was paid December 9th, 2015. Today, almost a month later we don't have cards and they have no clue what my membership number is. Worse service ever. If this is the trouble I have to go through to get my cards, I cannot imagine the hassle when we have a medical claim. Nobody has a clue and talking to a supervisor is impossible. I will be disputing the charge in my credit card and will go back to Blue Cross Blue Shield, they need a lot of improvement but this company is beyond help.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2016

Was unable to login to setup account and choose PCP 7 weeks after paying premium of $820 per month, which prevented me from using any insurance benefits. Called them regularly, but they always blamed the system and said to wait longer. Asked for prorated refund for the time I was denied services and they refused. When asked to speak to supervisor, got answering machine, and the answering machine message stated that they were 90 days backlogged in responding to messages - I should wait 90 more days. REALLY?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2016

To make a long story short and same complaint as others, going around in circles with (telemarketers) no one can seem to get a supervisor on the phone. Dr's offices saying that your policy is expired, cancelled, or closed when indeed you are looking at an online screen that shows that you ARE active and that you have paid. No one seems to have an answer but are all saying that they fixed the problem only for you to find out that it wasn't taken care of and no one seems to have any prior "notes" in the system. I'm becoming convinced that it is all a conspiracy on all of us. Of course through the Obama care. We were pretty much forced into taking on these "so called" insurance companies that are continuing to take our money and feeding us a line of BS in return.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2016

In 2015, I called this company passable, believing it wasn't any worse than what else was out there. Our 2016 experience has been simply outrageous. The fact that we pay 32k a year for nothing, is sickening. We can't even get answers from anyone, only vague letters that need explaining. After paying 32k last year also, they have "lost" our records and don't recall our policy either. We will be cancelling this asap and never again using United Healthcare. Our pediatrician has also said they will be reviewing their relationship with them as well, as they are disgusted with the lack of professionalism and complete disregard for human healthcare.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2016

I would like to thank United Health Care for providing such terrible customer service that it made my decision for which insurance company I should pick easy. I'm looking for plans through the healthcare marketplace and I had some questions about one of theirs that I was interested in. Called the number for United provided on the marketplace and I was transferred once and put on hold for over 50 minutes. When the rep answered he told me I had the wrong number and that they don't offer that specific plan anymore, but he had two others.

Since I was on hold for so long I let him tell me about the two plans he had available. He gave me a very brief summary. I have specialty medications that I take daily (probably for the rest of my life); the cost of those meds play a big part in which insurance I choose. So I asked him if he could tell me how much my meds would cost with one of the plans. The rep says, "I don't have time to look those up for you. This number is for people who wants to enroll. I have a lot more people in line waiting after you."

I'm sorry I thought I was a potential customer, willing to pay you hundreds of dollars per month. My bad. So I tell him, "Thank you very much" sarcastically and asked for the correct number I should call. Well he must not have appreciated my sarcasm because he gave me a number that had nothing to do with any insurance company. So again, thank you. I went with Ambetter and their customer service so far is stellar.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2015

Never in my entire experience in dealing with Customer Service have I ever run into anything like this. Not only is there NO ONE that can assist/guide one, that is after a wait of at least 1 hour (if you have the patience that is to call daily) but if you are lucky enough to actually get through to a "live" person then you immediately start getting passed around from dept. to dept. (by the way none of the departments have access to the same database so no one person can look up information to assist you) only to arrive back at the general "Help" number and back at the end of the queue for assistance, and the wait continues or rather starts all over again.

So on Dec. 8, I received a notice that my premium was going up by 25%. Fully understand that the cost of health care is going up, but by 25% in 6 months? Incidentally if you get one of these notices, check back online at UntiedHealthcare for your identical policy -- very interesting price discrepancy. Have I been able to have a conversation with a person yet? No! Am I going to change health care providers? Yes!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2015

United Healthcare took over Care Improvement Plus. I had ZERO copay, ZERO monthly charge. All of sudden, they are billing me monthly, and I have copays on my card. I am very alarmed. I have NEVER used the MEDICARE. Their service seems very poor. As many are saying, they just want to make a buck. Before they had advocates that called me and followed up on me. They made sure I was signed up to LiHeap and other services for the poor and elderly. NOW, I find that it is no longer, and I have to scramble to sign up for stuff myself. I am very nervous, very worried. They are RUTHLESS and I need to get rid of them right away! As I said, I NEVER used Medicare and am afraid to do so now with THESE guys!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2015

I ask to speak to a supervisor 10 times, I was told that she is very busy and she will call me back in 24 hours. I need to get this issues fixed now. I have been on the phone for over an hour... I keep asking questions about how to view the old website.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2015

I recently received a 1 year buyout from my employer. Along with the buyout I received one year of medical coverage. United Health Care deducts the premium from my account the first Tuesday of the month. I signed up for Medicare at age 65 which is required - Plan A, no premium, hospital coverage only. I semi-retired at age 68.

When my doctor or hospital submits a claim to United Health Care, they consider themselves the secondary payer and Medicare the primary payer because I have Medicare plan A, which you have no choice when you apply for Social Security. Medicare Plan A pays a minuscule amount so they kick back the balance to United Health Care. United Health Care consider themselves the secondary payer so they kick it back to Medicare. Medicare says that they paid what they are required which is correct. United Health Care tells me they are the secondary payer and are not required to pay anything. Their solution is that I signed up for Medicare plan B, at $121.80 a month. That way Medicare will pick up the bulk of the bill, I still pay their monthly premium and they don't pay anything towards the claims.

Great business model, shear profit, no overhead. I told them fine if they credit me $121.80 monthly towards my monthly United Health Care premium. That didn't fly at all. Their business model can't handle that. I called my former HR department to see if they can intercede and filed a complaint with the Attorney General Office. I think that neither one will do any good. Meanwhile, my credit rating is being slammed because of the late payments - if there are any at all.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2015

We have had UHCC for almost three years and aside from our $1,350+ monthly premium, we've been rather happy with it. Our daughter has type 1 diabetes, and they've been great covering a decent amount towards her insulin pump and continuous glucose monitor. We've also been pretty happy with the coverage of her prescriptions, namely insulin and glucometer test strips. Our daughter is on Novolog insulin, and a several months back, we received a letter asking us to consider a "less expensive" insulin, Humalog.

She has tried humalog in the past and is allergic to it. It is listed in her medical records as an allergy, and we had her endocrinologist send in a note stating that, so UHCC allowed us to continue getting Novolog, at our $50 per 30 day supply co-pay. Then we received a letter urging us to consider mail order pharmacy, which would be more cost effective for them (and now I know, us) I assume, however, I prefer having prescriptions filled at a physical pharmacy when we are dealing with something that is life or death.

My concern being, sometimes she uses more insulin and suppose she runs out before they send the next vial? Or what if it gets lost or stolen en route? Obviously, she needs insulin to live. There is no maybe about it. Without it, she will die. Anyway, UHCC seemed okay with us choosing to stay with the physical pharmacy, but then we went to pick up my daughters new prescription today and discovered that our co-pay is no longer $50 for a 30 day supply, it's now $100.

I understand this may seem like a "first world problem", because a vial (30 day supply) of Novolog without insurance is over $520, and I guess I should be thankful we only have to pay $100, but come on. We pay almost $1,400 a month for our premium as it is, and honestly, that $50 extra per month is a big deal. Type 1 diabetes is an extremely expensive disease to manage so every dollar matters. I'm assuming her test strips aren't going up in price, though I don't know yet. Because her insulin and test strips are both Tier 3, so if one goes up, I would think another would. I don't know. Like I said, I know it's not a big deal to a lot of people, but it just kind of blindsided us.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2015

This insurance company puts profits before patients and truly does not care whatsoever about your well being as a customer. I believe they have such a bad reputation that they are now using the name Optum which is the same company. So if you can possibly avoid buying any insurance from them you will save yourself big headaches down the road. They deny benefits and claims and don't want to pay providers which is why it will more difficult to find services too.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2015

Card indicates I have OptumRx. Mailed all scripts to mail order and pharmacy indicated I don't have mail order prescription coverage. I call UHC and they indicated my pharmacy in Arnold and I said that is an hour from my house. She said "okay use Dierbergs in Wentzville" and I call the pharmacist who called all my scripts over and filled for me and I go to pick up my card won't accept. I call UHC and they tell me try Target and Sam's club. I am what a joke. Target refuses to help me as they don't have a script to fill. Sam's helps and I got some meds filled but not all because some needed a pre-authorization now from the doctor???

Only took these meds for years. I get that done and stupid UHC only takes off $20 and thinks I am going to pay $271.00 for a thirty day supply. I call doctor and said get me something different that has a generic that may or may not work because I need meds. Now, I am making the fifth trip trying to get meds. I have three more months of this crap until I can get on Medicare and I will pick a plan that I don't have to do all the work and pay high premiums for nothing.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2015

Since March of 2015 I have called monthly to have a claim paid as I am on a Dual Complete Plan with United Health Care. I was assured that this claim would be paid. I have in network and out of network benefits at 100% as stated by the person who talked me into the plan and every representative I have spoken with since. My first visit to a doctor who was referred by a friend has still not been paid. After another Friday evening on the phone with them I was told I am not responsible for the balance but THE DOCTOR WILL NOT BE PAID. THEY WILL HAVE TO ACCEPT WHAT THEY ALREADY RECEIVED. They lied to me for 9 months and in turn had me tell the doctor that. Now I will not be able to return to this doctor as I am mortified by the fact that United Health Care did not pay this claim as they said they were going to.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2015

I moved from Florida on 04/2015, sold my condo at Deerfield Beach after 20 years living there. Since this date I am living in Texas, and I got a job here and health insurance also. Yesterday, I received a letter from United Health Care to let me know I went to see doctors in Florida on 11/05/2015, Dr. R. **, claim #**, copay, $141.00 and on 11/11/2015, Dr. E. **, claim #**, copay $90.00 and claim #**, $12.00. I was so frustrated and mad with this scam. I don't have this health insurance since 2010, and they use the old ID number to claim a fraudulent bill on my behalf. I called the insurance they said is not a bill, but I need contact the doctors, could be by mistake the use my ID # to bill these claims. Why United keep active my ID# from 5 years ago just to someone still the number and process a claim!!!

This call a fraud. I don't know who are they and if the United Health Care is keeping my ID# , someone maybe is stealing more ID# to process fraud claims.

Please, help me to clarify this all scam claim. I have plenty witness I don't live in Florida. It's ridiculous this insurance process I claim and don't check the person does not have the insurance since 2010, don't make a copy of ID# and driver's license, don't check the age the person and don't collect copay from the patient. Sounds to me very stranger this claim and suspicious.

My concerning if I did not have forward mail to Texas, I will never discover what is going on under my name in Florida. I am 60 years old, single and hard worker and I don't need this problem in my life. My problem now is to clarify this all trouble and United Heath Care told me I need to call this scam doctors and complaint about they are using my old ID# from 2010 and I don't have this insurance. The bill is their lost. Who knows if this scam is happening with more people innocent and pay the bill just because they don't pay attention? I received a letter from Chico Service Center, P.O.Box 740800. Atlanta, GA **, Member ID from 2010 was #**. Phone #**.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2015

I paid $800+ in insurance premium every month and they would not let me select the doctor from my area. They will assigned their own choice of doctor in a remote area and particularly one that would not provide good service. So naturally when it is matter of my kids health care, I went to local close by and good doctor for regular treatment. They would not approve the nominal doctor visit fee of $75. I requested them to change my preferred doctor who is within their network and accepts United Health Care insurance, but UHC would not do it and asked me to contact ObamaCare hotline to update the doctor on my insurance! It is a MESS, PLEASE LISTEN AND DO NOT NOT NOT Select UNITED HEALTH CARE Insurance even if they are willing to provide you the insurance for $10 a month. It is a waste of $10.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2015

I wonder why the government still allows UHC to insure people when all they do is find all kinds of ways to keep people in pain. I have a root canal and I am in EXTREME pain, feeling like my mouth is on fire, not able to sleep or swallow, and not a single endodontist is willing to help me without an authorization from UHC. UHC REFUSES TO APPROVE AN AUTHORIZATION FOR AT LEAST ANOTHER TWO WEEKS!!! Is this a normal way to run a company?! Allowing people to suffer in pain all for some authorization that THEY TOLD ME I'M APPROVED FOR, all for the sake of the process? I strongly feel that anyone out there who is considering using UHC should definitely NOT use UHC if they want to be helped when they are in pain.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2015

Average hold time for calling them in my experience is about 45 minutes. That alone sucks more than any consumer should have to deal with.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2015

I have spent two days trying to get my dental plan updated for the 2016 year. Today I spent a large part of my day on the phone with these incompetents. I have specific questions that I need to ask a representative. I was transferred six times over the course of over three hours. Every time the representative would tell me that this was the wrong department and that they would transfer me to the correct department. Six times this is what I was told. They ran me around for over three hours. I have never encountered anything close to this level of incompetence.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2015

This is to poorest excuse for an insurance company in the world. They fight every procedure and when you're sitting in doctor's office inform you that the in-office procedure is not approved. What is it we pay these scumbags for? If you sign up for their insurance you deserve what you get!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2015

My husband is stage 4 lung cancer and has a tumor on his spine, unable to walk or sit. I got a hospital bed from an out of network provider because none of the in network providers could supply one. Now I have to appeal to get them to pay the claim. Now he needs a hoyer lift and I was sent to Apria for this equipment. They don't have them even though it was confirmed they would deliver today...? I called UHC and they gave me several names to check, most of which no longer exist and none in the network has this equipment. UHC is terrible. They are supposed to cater to the elderly and disabled under this plan. The tv commercials portray them as such a great company. Don't be fooled.

They also denied my husband to a rehab center because they were reading from a script over and over again until his doctor said "You do know Mr. ** has cancer and is not going to rehab for a fractured ankle?" Well no she didn't know because she never bothered to read the record. This is who you are trusting your healthcare to. I think not think long and hard before signing up and please spread the word about this company. Shame on you United Healthcare. Your treatment of your subscribers is deplorable!!!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2015

I have a chronic medical condition requiring one doctor visit per month for medication maintenance. Every month there are issues with this health insurance deciding that the medicine that I've been prescribed to take every night is not approved by insurance. They only approve 28 pills per month of an anti-psychotic medication. There is not a person in the world whose doctor prescribes them 28 pills a year for chronic conditions requiring daily medication. Every single month I struggle with getting maintenance medication for my condition while paying for this insurance through my employer. It is completely unethical for insurance companies to make people go through hoops to get meds for chronic psychiatric conditions. This is one complaint of many.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2015

I had my annual check up with my doctor of 10 years. She performed a sonic of my neck arteries for any plaque build-up. The total amount of the billing for office visit and procedure was $1,150 of which UHC has to only pay $216. This was performed on September 16th and they are still reviewing. On my website it outlines entirely the procedure, shows processing and the amounts, as if they are going to pay. Now, four months later, it's being "reviewed by claims board". I was on the phone for over 45 minutes and my only question was "what are they reviewing?" What is it that needs to be reviewed? No answers. Hold, hold, hold to finally tell me that they will send an email to the "review team" and would contact me back. This is the most horrendous health insurance in the entire country. To think that this company is being promoted as a supplement to Medicare by AARP is beyond comprehension!!! Once I retire I will NOT sign up for anything with UHC.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

United Healthcare is by far the worst insurance company I have had the misfortune of having a policy with. I joined UHC 3/2015. 6/2015 I had to go to a family physician due to illness. Had to go to pharmacy to fill prescription for antibiotics. Denied for prescription because our account was showing one month past due. (Keep in mind every month our bank showing a debit of 256.00 to UHC at least one week prior to due date). On hold for over 30 minutes at the pharmacy and finally was told "yes, we are so sorry your account is up to date. Accounting department has made a mistake." I was then told it would take up to 36 hours to fix the problem!!! 36 hours to fix what?! UHC told me they made a mistake, I am sick and need to fill a prescription.

End story I filled prescription at full 48 dollar cost and was never refunded money by Walgreen's. This was the second... and wait... it gets better. UHC did it a 3rd time with our account but at least caught it and sent a letter apologizing. Not to mention the physician they did not cover the sick visit... I had to write an appeals letter for the claim. This took 3 months to resolve.

One more... my OBGYN, which UHC representative told me I did not need a referral for, guess what!? UHC did not cover, denied my claim. I am done with UHC and am going back to BCBS. I have never been so angry with a company. My husband and I make less than 48,000 a year combined and we pay 256.00 a month for our premium. 2 doctors visits are not covered and 3 accounting mistakes in 9 months. I am so sad that I did not research this company prior to signing up. I feel completely taken advantage of.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2015

I blacked out at work and ended up in the emergency room. Had several tests and seen my regular doctor who sent me to a spine specialist in the Twin Cities. Neurosurgeon found I have a bulged disk that is pinching my spinal cord and need surgery stat. I have this insurance through my job and it is the worst! My insurance said this has to go through review and it was submitted on 11/20/2015. I am in pain, cannot do anything and it still is not approved. When you pay for your insurance since when do they get to pick and chose what your doctor said you need. Please help!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2015

I kept calling to find out why my account was not active and I was sending my payments in. I couldn't get access to my online account to find out the problem. Kept calling representative and was told to wait 5 to 10 business days and it should be back clear. I had this go on countless amount of times. Two months of not being able to access information. Not knowing if my payments were received. Wasn't getting statements of the amount of my premium cause of my tax credit changing periodically. It was like a roller coaster ride from one representative to the next. I was frustrated until I was in tears. I came to my last pushing point, when I could not be seen by the doctor, after waiting for a 2 month for the earliest appointment. My account with UHC was showing that my insurance was not active.

I contacted UHC the same day to find out why. They had been telling me my account was ok. Every representative you speak with says something different I'm told "it's ok" and another "you're not." I kept calling and each time there isn't anything showing where the matter was address. You have to start over from the beginning. Even if you give them a reference # to the supervisor they make you think the situation is being taken care of and you call back for the same thing because your problem still is going on. I got tired and finally closed my account with UHC. I was sending my payment in for my premium and it was not being submitted and showing up that my premium was paid. They still couldn't give me a explanation for this. Their error messed me up from getting access to my benefits and I'm the one suffers from it.

I asked to be refunded my amounts for the months I couldn't use my insurance. They submit it and said I would be sent a refund for the months and the days it would take for the process. Waited the days and nothing ever came was told over and over it was being sent. Call to find out why I haven't received the refund. I got the run around countless amount of times. I was told to do this and that done it and once again it got to be too much back and forth. The last supervisor told me that I was not do a refund. I was in shock and I had no more fight in me. It made me feel like that was what the goal was to make me stop.

This company has no remorse for people's situation. There are couple that made a difference but the ones that came after destroyed what was corrected. Each time you call back to find out the status it's like you never called the first time. Their representative need to be more experienced. Most of them don't know what they are doing. I will never ever deal with insurance company again. It was a very emotional roller coaster ride. That drained me dry.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2015

While I receive none of the benefits of signing on through the marketplace, the only plan that was somewhat within reason had to be purchased through the marketplace. I was under a time constraint to be signed up for coverage beginning Dec 2015 as my old coverage (Health Republic) decided to close down with little notice. I got an agent to help sign me up (no easy feat) and then followed the required steps of setting up a bank account for automatic payment. I received a confirmation number from I thought it was a United Healthcare Rep in billing that Dec was covered and I would be receiving my card and would have insurance effective December 1.

Lo and behold, the company cannot locate the payment information. I get forwarded to call centers and placed on hold for lengthy periods of time only to have my phone battery die. To date, I do not have coverage and have not been able to reach my broker or any other employee of the state or united healthcare. The entire system is a disaster.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2015

I needed a routine physical. Checked their database of in-network providers. Found one. Called customer service to verify provider was in-network. Customer service rep verified. Went to physical. Received $1,000 bill for said physical (a physical is preventative care and is covered 100% by my plan). United wouldn't cover because they said the provider was out of network. I showed them their database listed the provider as in-network and they also had a record of my verification call. They finally said it was their bad and a manager would have the claim paid. 8 months later, I continue to call every 2 weeks and talk to a manager who re-recognizes the error and says they'll have the claim paid in 3-5 business days. Claim is still not paid. If you have a choice, choose another insurance provider.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2015 Ive been using dependent care FSA through UHC, and for some reason they have been rejecting my claims. Ive contacted UHC via contact center, and they cannot provide the reason. I've spend over 5 hours trying to resolve rejected claims. They asked me to resubmit, and so I did, but they rejected my claims again.
Call center experience is horrific. They cannot find your FSA account, and often don't see the claims. It's totally disconnected from the claim approval process.

UHC is the most horrific company I have dealt with in my life. I highly recommend you avoid it.

United Health Care Company Information