Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
2.98/5

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

1576 United Health Care Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 17, 2019

I've had this insurance for over 10 years; changed Health insurance many times prior to enrolling in United Health Care and am very pleased to have done so -- there's not much that they don't cover, they assist with things like transportation, health and wellness programs and the customer service is above-average compared to many other health insurance options...

Original review: April 17, 2019

Cover more and lower the price! Better customer service would nice with English speaking people who can get your name right too. Hate a very poor English speaking person trying to get my issues fixed.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I did not like to be dropped as quickly because of state changes. I see on tv that they are taking new clients with the same programs I had for several years. I did not like to be abruptly dropped as a client and forced to find a new company that cost me over $75 more each month! I am on a fixed income and this caused tremendous stress and upset my health significantly!

Original review: April 16, 2019

I think it’s ridiculous that I get letters from the hospital that tell me I have to call you and verify my coverage with you before my bill is paid. Why should I have to verify my coverage when your payment is taken out of my check weekly?

Original review: April 16, 2019

They do what they do. They pick up where others leave off. These days nothing is cheap, so you just have to go with the flow and hope you have made the right choice. That's life "in the old age lane". I will stick with them until they "stick" it to me. Ciao!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Original review: April 16, 2019

Employer provided but I pay a supplemental amount to cover nationwide out of network coverage. Never got money's worth for extra amount paid except in peace of mind. Claims have been a seamless, painless experience. Little to no interaction required. Not needing customer service is the best service possible.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Pay them thousands for insurance, was in an accident with over 8K damage to my car and they denied me physical therapy. Thank God for my auto insurance company (Amica) they took very good care of me. United Health Care just denied my need for help. Awful.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Billing is a problem with the people in Arkansas who don't seem to understand who the customer is. It seems every month the monthly bill is late in getting to me and the recording of payments is very slow. The service on ordering and the processing of drug requirements is quite good.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I get to use my own doctors usually without referrals and they always coordinate benefits with other health insurance providers. The call center Agents are very helpful and if they cannot give me an answer they refer me to a Supervisor to assist.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Was told a procedure DID not need a precert. Had the $1000 CT and now it needs a precert. Was told the procedure DID not meet the criteria for a retro review. So now I have to appeal. Why is nothing easy with UHC?

Original review: April 14, 2019

My insurance covers my regular Dr. visits and labs well. Anything with prescription medication is irregular and sometimes expensive. The prices go up, but insurance isn’t covering that. Meds fluctuate because of manufacture whims to up the cost. Could maybe work with them or clients to give us better options.

Original review: April 14, 2019

With United Health Care most of my needs have been met in a timely manner. I did have one primary care doctor that I really liked working with because he decided he no long wanted to be a participating provider. Otherwise I have been generally satisfied with them.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Their personnel are very helpful both on the phone answering questions or helping with real problems. The home visitors are excellent. They really know how to interact with others -- help you settled any misgiving.

Original review: April 13, 2019

The coverage with United is comparable to my others (Cigna and IHC), the claims are paid quickly, and cost is average. But the website is such a mess that it has become an administrative nightmare, and I don't know why anyone would choose this when comparable products are available where using the HSA and online claims payment is simple and straightforward. The user interface at UHC is horrible. I cannot even tell which claims I have paid. I can not easily access my statements to see what has been paid from my HSA, and if I pay online, the provider often never receives payment, so I get credited 2 months later and my account becomes past due. An administrative nightmare. UHC needs to hire some new computer science grads to redesign this. It is 2019, and the only excuse for not doing so is pure greed.

Original review: April 13, 2019

United Health Care is nice. Have been with them twice. I switched to another insurance and after being with them one year they decided not continue service. So went back to United Health Care. This is where I will stay.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Used to have BCBS. Worst company ever. Now have United and what a wonderful difference. The customer service is awesome, the payments are accurate and timely. BCBS just paid a 2 year old claim. Still have not paid a Dr. for a surgery 2 years ago. United is my hero.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Their HMO is the worst plan ever. I just don't even want to go to the doctor. It's the only plan offered for us and It's the worst, too many red tapes. The amount of premium they charge for the service they provide is unbelievable. They can learn a lot from Kaiser.

Original review: April 13, 2019

UHC has given me outstanding service and assistance including providing plan documents and who I can see and where I can go for prescriptions. I don’t need a referral to see a specialist and one fee to see a specialist in or out of network.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I just had sinus surgery that required a compound antibiotic to protect me from infection. My doctor called, was given the runaround. I called was told on Monday they will decide. Given that an infection is more likely at the beginning days after any surgery, three days are too long. Yet within few hours they called me to deny my medications. Now I will have to pay out of my pocket $150 money that I do not have. And insurance companies complain when we call for public healthcare?!!! United Healthcare since its inception made a mockery of our healthcare. I will cancel that plan. My advice - stay away from any health plan that had United Health or AARP, they are bad news when you need them.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Have had this insurance for almost 2 years now. It is the Medicare advantage in my area. Lucky I am in good health and have not needed any medical conditions that require more than medications or office visits. No copay for office visits nor meds. Meets my needs at this time.

Original review: April 12, 2019

They offer $25.00 a month for gyms but they don't cover my gym Elmwood, it does not help me in any way and I have asked them to add it because I have been going to Elmwood since 2000 and is the gym that I love and I am happy with it.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I had basal cell carcinoma removed from my face. Because of the extensive surgery needed to get it all, I needed additional surgery in order for me to be able to see properly. It was denied. I have to pay out of pocket in order to see again. Shameful & disgusting.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Very happy with United Health (AARP) and do not wish to change. Wife and I have same coverage and United pays a lot of our visits.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I have had United Health Care for 14 years (it was originally Secure Horizons). Each year I compare this provider to all the other options but have never found a competitor to match United Health Care. Copays have constantly risen each year, but so have the other competitors' rates.

Original review: April 11, 2019

A third party administrator correctly sends my COBRA payment to UHC every month. UHC terminates their system retro to 1/31/19 every month. I have to call the TPA and UHC every month to get this resolved which takes 24-28 hours on UHC end to correct in their system. In the meantime, it looks like I have no insurance coverage since 1/31/19. Very problematic should I need medical care during UHC's incompetent administrative screw up. Totally unacceptable - why should I have to wait for them to clean up their mess in the system when I have paid my premiums through 5/31/19.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Tough to get requested info; software for communication very sub-par for national PPO; lack of understanding at customer service contact, reading script; lag in concern processing... list out of date and struggle to get exact details and trouble explaining cost without codes to start. Ask for your time in more situations than one likes...

Original review: April 11, 2019

I feel they really care about my health. They are really into preventive medicine and even pay you for taking care of yourself. I have had this insurance for about three years and I am so happy to have it.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Have had United since first of 2019. So far no problems, they have covered as expected for both me and my wife. We have both significant medical issues. No problems covering my wife's surgery. And I had an unexpected hospital stay and I am also on regular medical treatment. No problems with UHC in those cases either. At this point I would highly recommend.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Bait and switch. They cheat customers; do not cover you even 1/2 what they promise and short-change your physicians. They'd rather you see Nurse at pharmacy or urgent care center. When you try to reach somebody to complain, they hang up on you after you've been on hold for over 30minutes. They change a bunch of things on your formulary without telling you. At the pharmacy you are forced to use your credit card and pay out-of-pocket for medication you've been prescribed for years. They spend your money on executive salary, not on customer health care.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I pay a lot for this but have no choice with retired state employee sick-leave coverage. It was the least expensive of the two options we're offered. I would much prefer to direct my own funding toward my own choices. But, since I have to - this is a great insurance.

United Health Care Company Information