Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
3.09/5

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

1614 United Health Care Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

Dr failed submit documentation ♿. He approved need min 365 days. Complained no ♿ after waiting a month. When complained Dr abruptly discontinued medication without weaning DEADLY WITHDRAWS. 7 months later and still NO ♿ PERMANENT. Deformation may need amputating digits (fingers toes). Medicare fraud covered up by United Health Care. UHC not accountable **. Grace of God I did not die.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I helped my parents choose United Healthcare for their Medicare supplement. My dad passed away and the premium was cancelled with much work on my part. My mom passed recently and they will NOT refund the premium! And, the premium was taken from her checking account 6 weeks after her death and I had called to report her death two days after it happened. I'm not sure if they are just that unscrupulous or if everyone is nowadays. We went through her agent, provided all the information such as name, address, social security number and death certificate. The woman I spoke with at United Healthcare could not have been colder and ruder and I've worked with the public for many years. I would NEVER get a policy with them and will be happy to spread the word.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

UHC SUCKS, take forever to approve claims due to wrongful coding. Sucks, took 3 months to get my payment for a free preventative exam cleared. Dental sucks, denies a repair because dentist didn't send a FULL MOUTH x-ray, just the tooth damaged. I am dropping this piece of crap insurance for sure!!!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I am new to United. I called to get information about my plan, I spoke with an Alex in dental customer care. He was very condescending, more so an **. United need to train their employees on how to talk to Customers, which is basic skills. On the other hand maybe hire people who wants to be there. I am very displeased. I will be leaving the company pretty soon. This was just the icing on the cake. Thank you to everyone who took my call today, you guys who transferred me to someone in different departments. Who had no idea who I was, and what I needed. I truly hope you guys learn how to communicate better before it too late.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I picked this insurance through my employer so I could go to the same clinics I had been going to for years with my previous insurance. The day before I was going for a check up the insurance company dropped the clinic/provider I was going to go to. UHC sent me a new provider and they were in a town 20 miles away. The customer service people were not familiar with my area so they were not helpful in referring me to a new provider. Once I finally found one I went to a yearly check up. My provider found a lump in my breast so they sent me for a mammogram. Long story short, I ended up having a very painful breast biopsy. I talked to UHC before my appointment and was on the phone with them for 45 minutes to make sure I would be covered for the appointment. Guess what. They denied my claim.

I have called them twice and all the customer service people said yes that should be covered, but nobody can reverse the charge. They covered the hospital I had to get the biopsy done at but did not cover the doctors doing the biopsy. Now I'm on the hook for 6k in bills, and I have medical insurance and they told me to go to this hospital. I have spent countless hours on the phone with them. DO NOT EVER GET THIS INSURANCE. I have had several nurses that were helping me navigate this insanity, tell me that this insurance is known for doing this. They said "I hate this insurance, it's the worst". Wish I would have known that before I picked them. Needless to say I WILL be switching during open enrollment. I will continue to fight this as well.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I got United Health Care from the company I work with, and I decided to get birth control. I did my research and found OBGYN doctor that was in-network. I also checked if the birth control was covered, which it says in the app that it is in-network and that the insurance will pay for the birth control I wanted. I come to find out that United Health Care does not cover certain birth controls...but it’s very confusing when it clearly says on the app that it covers for it??? Also, I think it’s not worth your money if you don’t reach $1,400 to get deductible. So, basically you pay your medical bills if it’s less than $1,400...what’s the point of having health insurance if they don’t pay for a simple office visit with other service fee that cost $700 or more??

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

I have done a lot of research to find a fair Healthcare provider and UHC has been that until recently. I called today because the allowed UHC discount was significantly higher for my visit with the same doctor for the past 18 months. After the rep was on hold for about 15 minutes she came back on and said they now review all charges in my area code and base their discounts on that. I find this very sneaky without first notifying me (the patient) so I could choose another doctor. As far as my family is concerned they have now gone from hero to zero!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

Never select UHCP for medical insurance and do not recommend it to anyone as well. They find ways for rejecting your claims. This is the first company that rejects claims for maternity expenses. They won't first say that they have rejected your claim. They will keep torturing you asking for reports 1 by 1. You will send all the reports. After so much struggle you had to take to get all the reports and you send it to UHCP, they will say that they don't trust the reports, they want a letter from the doctor stating the reason for hospitalization. The doctor in the hospital has no other work other than writing letters for us for the hospitalization that has happened 3 months back. Claim Reference No. **. UHCP ID - **.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

These guys are crooks. Initial Premium at the beginning of the year - $1053.60 a month. Come June 7th, I receive a letter with bogus justifications for why my premium will be increasing by 23.8% next year (the numbers didn't nearly add up to 23.8%). Same week I read that their quarterly dividend went up 20%... Taking more of my money for no additional coverage while dropping agreements with a bunch of hospitals and giving the money to their investors? No thank you.

Original review: July 28, 2019

I just got on with United Health Care-All Savers plan through my work. I finally got in at the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Arizona. I was told that The Mayo Clinic was an approved In-Network provider and would be covered. As it turns out some was and and some wasn't. When I got my initial blood work done through the Mayo Clinic Lab, United Health Care suddenly decided that Mayo Clinic was was not an in-network provider, even though the covered claims submitted prior to AND after the blood work was done. Upon contacting their claims dept on multiple occasions, they could not offer ANY explanation for why they coded the lab claim as out-of-network and refused to cover it even though they say that Mayo is clearly an in-network provider.

I got nowhere with any of the Claims people they have working there. If I could fire United Health Care as my insurance provider I would in a second and Highly recommend that anyone that has a choice on the healthcare insurance provider NOT go with these idiots - they will cost you money by sticking you with bills they should have clearly covered like mine. Now since I can't count on them covering any of my future visits to The Mayo Clinic, I am now forced to fire Mayo and go back to my old worthless doctors.

United Health Care Company Information