Compare Quotes and Save

Find Short Term Health Insurance

Shop Plans Today

1463 United Health Care Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

My company switched from Blue Cross and Blue Shield to this United Health Care because is supposed to be better. Well it is not. Besides paying more on the monthly premium, I know have to pay $40 for a doctor visit and $70 for specialist visit because none of the doctors that I've had for over 10 years are in the Tier 1 program. When searching in the portal to what providers are Tier 1, they all have under 3 star rating and the choices are slim. Only one dermatology available under tier 1 with 2 stars. I even put over 100 miles from me to find a decent Dermatologist that may have over 3 stars and there is none available. The same goes for Neurologist. I can no longer go to my regular neurologist because they are not part of the Tier 1. I wish our company would have done a better research on this Insurance as it is Horrible.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

This is the all time worst insurance company that I have ever had to deal with. I spent almost two weeks appealing and fighting with them over coverage of my insulin and I am a type 1 diabetic. The best option they said I would get was paying over five hundred dollars out of pocket for a month's supply. I don’t see how a disgusting company like this can even manage to stay in business with the way they treat their patients. People are actually dying from lack of insulin if they choose to go with United. I dropped their joke of a policy after only one month and have nothing but hatred towards this horrible company, avoiding it entirely would benefit your physical and mental health.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I have been insured with UHC via Medicare for about 18 months. In that time, I have called them numerous times regarding coverage that was denied. In each situation, one representative will give completely different information than the next. It's as if they have no way of corroborating a client's information in their system. It's been a nightmare. How a company with this lack of knowledge and incredibly inept customer service can stay in business is beyond me. I even tried to visit one of their corporate offices in Los Alamitos, California to clarify a claim, and was denied entry to the building. The guy at the front door told me to "call the number on the back of your card. Clients are not allowed in this building." If I had a choice, I'd find another insurance company.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

We changed to an advantage plan due to cost of premium. They withdrew both premiums from our account on the first of the month. It is now almost a month later and we have been unable to get the $600 refunded to us. Advise everyone to have premium taken from your social security check and not your bank! No way to stop them from taking money once you sign the draft!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I had no health insurance for almost a year and was paying almost $300 a month for my medications on top of my monthly dr visit, and it was taking a tremendous toll on my bank account, and I barely was getting by paying my bills as it was. Finally 2 months ago I went and talked to an insurance rep and decided to sign up for United Health Care insurance because it covered not only medical, but dental and vision also for $40 a month.

I was beyond excited and finally felt relieved that I finally had insurance and that I wouldn't be as financially strapped due to my prescriptions. Well biggest mistake of my life!!! Both the medications I'm on and have been on for years required a prior authorization and they were denied 3 times by United Health Care!!! These are medications I need to be on and my doctor emphasized this and it still made no difference. So I was stuck paying $300 this month for my prescriptions that I thought my insurance would cover. This insurance company is an absolute joke and a ripoff!!! I never in my life would of ever thought that when a person has health insurance, especially one that they're paying for would be in no better off than when they had no health insurance at all. My advice to anyone reading this that doesn't have health insurance or is thinking about switching to United Health Care...don't do it. I assure you that you will be utterly disgusted!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I submitted an FSA claim to UHC and received notice that the payment had been sent. After a month went by and I still hadn't received a check, I called multiple numbers, was transferred multiple times, and generally given the run-around regarding the whereabouts of the check. This is literally the first negative review I've ever written about a company because I'm so disgusted with how they handle customer service (with a clear aim of just never sending you your own money. Money which was set aside specifically for medical expenses).

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Expensive high deductible plans which claims to cover preventative at 100%. Called to see why my annual eye exam was not covered. First rep told me it was coded as diagnostic. Had docs office resubmit with correct coding. Waited a couple weeks. Not covered again. Called UHC again. Was told I don't have coverage when I pay for vision insurance! Rep said to call UHC at another # which was not on my insurance card. Spoke to someone in UHC Vision who said the eye doc I saw was in network for medical but not vision! Out of network I could be reimbursed $40 bucks. Rep said I could call to see if a provider was in network which is what I did prior to my visit. On the EOB it says, "thank you for using an in network provider." More game playing and backpedaling with this company. Not worth the hassle.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

No one notified me that I needed a new prior authorization for a prescription I have to have. I'm on disability and it cost me almost $60 instead of $1.25. Called to complain and they told me that they can't do anything about it. I will never do business with them ever again and I suggest no one else either!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

This is the worst insurance company I have ever had to deal with, we have been trying to get an authorization since 9/2018 and nobody has a clue on how to obtain this P.A. This has been our worst experience from management to customer service.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I switched my 98 year old mother in December (she has low income assistance so I didn't have to wait until January) to UHC Supp. Plan F (with no problems) and got their Part D prescription insurance because I thought it was a good idea to keep everything under one roof. Besides the fact that I had to do the application 4 times over the phone because they lost applications or deleted them, she was insured Dec. 1. 2018. I had to send my POA at least 3 times to them because every time I called, they said they weren't authorized to speak to me about my mother - even though they had my phone number, zip code, and mailing address on file.

At least, sometimes they did. I even had to get my mother on the phone to authorize me, (after I had been earlier authorized, of course), but they didn't have a record of it after that phone call. I would say over the past 2 months, this has been a problem AT LEAST 25 times. My mother has been taking inhalers for years that were covered until January 1. I never received a notice/formulary list that coverage was being discontinued - until they declined to fill the script last week. Why wasn't there 30 days notice letting me know, so I could change insurers?

After several calls last week, I was finally told by someone, there had to be a prior authorization submitted. My mother's primary care doctor submitted the form and was (of course) declined! So now my mother has to pay $50 every 10 days for the inhaling solution. This was 7 hours wasted, just today! And I was told ALL of the substitutions for this drug, also needed prior authorization. They clearly now don't want to cover people who have pulmonary issues. And after speaking to 3 different people on 3 different calls, the next 2 tries - the SAME DAY - TODAY - they told me they didn't have a record of me, so they wouldn't talk to me. That was enough. That was too much.

So I also called Medicare today - January 14 and asked if I could switch plans. Because my mother gets assistance, it was possible to do this. So, as of February 1, my mother will be insured with SILVER SCRIPT, which covers her inhaling solution and all of her other drugs. Dealing with United Health Care and Optum was truly one of the worst experiences of my life. If you're looking at Medicare Part D Plans - you'd be smart to avoid them at all costs.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I went to sign up to my local YMCA and was told that United Health Care no longer is participating in the Silver Sneakers program. For the company to save a bit of money it discourage Seniors to participate in a healthy lifestyle. Which will most likely incur more medical payments paid out for avoidable physical health problems. I always felt secure in my choice of United Health Care but will definitely shop around in October 2019. I wonder what else change this year that I didn’t notice.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Attention Women With Breast Cancer... UHC is NOT behind women with Breast Cancer and will fight you every step of the way NOT to pay when you have exhausted every provider they insist you see. I thought our company had excellent coverage and pay a very high price for it for each of us and now to only learn when it comes down to pay for services they will run the other way... Even our insurance broker is at a loss for words as to how I have been treated with my breast cancer...To the point where we have had to file a formal complaint with the Virginia Bureau of Insurance and the Virginia Department of Health!!!

UHC will continue to put you through more hell than just the hell of your cancer and treatments you must go through!!! I am fighting with every ounce of energy and life I have left in me for my care and it is falling on deaf ears. UHC only cares about their bottom line and not patient care!!! Additionally, don't even bother with their cancer support program... Useless and a total waste of time!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

It's been over a week, they changed my plan/policy on me. All my co-pays, etc and don't know how to fix it or why they changed it on me. Called IT for the site to be fixed too to reflect my actual plan and have been told off and refused a manager on every occasion. I've spend an hr on the phone for over a week and still cannot get help on this issue. I NEED TO SEE A DOCTOR.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I submitted a claim to United Health Care after my daughter completed her Neuropsych. The bill says paid in full. Gives the number of hours billed as well as every test performed. United Health Care will not pay the bill because no one in the claims department can figure out how to divide the number of hours into the total bill. For months they have been sending me from person to person in order to avoid paying my claim.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

It is normal to not get to speak to insurance companies, banks, etc. when we call, but a healthcare company? I would think answering phones for medical reasons would be important, and it is but only for the patient, I mean fools like me who went with these jokers. 10+ minutes on hold after being transferred after 12 minutes on hold.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

My former employer changed my Medicare coverage from Aetna to UHC in January 2018. From that time all my submissions have been paid except for my chiropractor. Many phone calls, letters, still no solution.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I was SO DISAPPOINTED to learn that United Health Care has stopped SilverSneakers. My husband (who has dementia) & I were enjoying using that privilege at the West Carrollton YMCA in Dayton, Ohio. It was very important to us. Why has this happened? I would hope to get a response to this.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

United Healthcare is a company that refuses to be held accountable for their words or actions. We started exploring fertility treatment and our Dr. called to verify our coverage - they were told we were covered for IVF with unlimited tries. We moved forward with treatment - our DR.'s office received a letter approving the treatment only to receive another letter the next day saying it was a mistake and we were not covered. United Health Care also had me enroll in their fertility program where they set me up to speak to a nurse who reviewed my coverage with me echoing that I had great coverage and it was unlimited for IVF.

Once we received the news they had been wrong about their coverage a cycle of trying to hold them accountable including providing call numbers where they in fact told us we had full coverage - the only “accountability” we received from them was telling us we weren’t covered. This is actually a very good reason to not cover a treatment - what is not okay is telling someone they are covered - sending a letter of approval and then telling them to stop treatment if they don’t want/can’t pay for the treatment they already started based on United Healthcare telling them they were covered.

This company is a liability to itself and people need to know they cannot be trusted to do fundamental tasks such as review coverages - even when you’re speaking to people whose job it is to do so. United Health Care - I am going to make sure this story is out there. If you refuse to be accountable on your own terms I am going to make sure you’re accountable with the public.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I am having to pay a lot of out of pocket money at the fitness center because United Healthcare has canceled the Silver Sneaker benefit! I am very unhappy with UHC and will be looking for a replacement provider. UHC obviously does not care for its members!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

How do you update your dependent's SSN from the United Health Care website? I didn't know and certainly couldn't easily find the option to do so, so I called their support number. The first person I spoke to asked for my information (full name, member ID, policy or group number) first to verify I am me (I am!), then told me that I called the wrong number. The number that I called was provided to me by my benefits coordinator at work, so not sure how that happened. Regardless, she transferred me to someone else, but not before I was prompted to input my information into a phone prompt system.

The second support person then asked me to verify my information (full name, member ID, group number, date of birth, phone number), again, and after I explained what I was trying to accomplish (update SSN for new child), she said I again called the wrong number (HOW?) and would transfer me to their tech support line (WHY?).

I'm now 15 minutes in and am being asked by the phone prompt system to re-verify my already verified information again. The third person picks up the phone, not expecting a call (WHAT!?!) and not introducing himself, then asks me to verify my information (full name, policy number - not group number, member ID, date of birth, address, start date of employment, start date of original policy coverage). It's now been 29 minutes. He says "click on Account Settings, click on the link [in the middle of the screen], click on Update, type in SSN, click submit." This is a ridiculous way to provide support to your customers. How do I give 0 stars on this website?

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Why must I travel from Louisiana to Massachusetts in order for United to cover the total knee replacement. United stated that if I have it done in LA. it will cost me 100%. Has anyone else had this problem?

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

This so called health insurance provider by the end of November had consumed a little over 18% of my gross income in premiums and I make less than $40k a year. This is not an insurance company. They are a black hole and they just take take and hardly cover anything. I cant even get a simple X-ray covered as they gobble up my month to month income. To hell with them and their King Obama who forced the life (ACA mandate) tax on everyone.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

My wife has a bad back, they have canceled her MRI appointment 3 times due to United Health Care will not approve it. Every time we call them we get a different person that gives us a different reason why it is not approved. Call A lawyer, they are a scam, I pay $15,000.00 a year for insurance that doesn't work, it is affecting my marriage and relationship with my wife.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Every time I've had a question with them, I get an idiot for a customer service rep. I usually ask for a supervisor. I am able to converse with on an intelligent level. However today I called and asked for a supervisor directly. I got possibly the poorest excuse for a supervisor. Alyssa is her name. I had a claim I called on 2 mos ago and had a supervisor tell me the hospital was out of network and she would send a grievance to the hospital for not telling me they were out of network. 2 mos went by and no follow up as promised so I called back and got this Alyssa or Alicia (supervisor). Was on the phone for over an hour and all she could tell me was the claim was processed correctly. At this point after the previous supervisor told me it was not, I deserved some satisfaction for filing a grievance with United Health Care. She was really very rude and kept repeating herself over and over.

I finally was so disgusted I asked her if she was going to file a grievance or not because I had been on the phone for over an hour. She was the rudest, nastiest person. Talked over me, yelled into the phone and told me I was behind on my premium payment. I will not pay for their servcie when they are total screwups. I finally told her I would take the survey after the call so would she just release the call. She put me on hold indefinitely until their phone system routed me back into the service center and cut me off.

I would like United Health Care to know not only do they have the poorest customer service in the insurance field but they do not have enough supervision of their own supervisors! The call was today 12/19/2018 about 1:30 Central Daylight Savings Time and her name was Alicia or Alyssa. I called from Missouri. She refused to give me her last name, initial or any identifying information. It's idiots like her that give United Health Care a bad name. If anyone from United Health Care would like to contact me, I welcome it. My advice is to stay as far away from United Health Care as possible. Idiots, just idiots.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Do not trust. These guys are liars. They do not provide proper service and take away monthly premium with bad service. Had a bad experience with them, really frustrated with the service canceling the service. Looting money from common people.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Do not trust United Health Care Sales Representative. They lied to sign you up not matter if you can or cannot paid the plan is part of their skimming. I was trick into changing my Humana for UHC. The first thing was denial of my medications and second paid only partial payment to the Dr. and lab. I was with this company for a month and I'm still suffering stress and disgusted with the manipulation of their tactics. This is a SCAM insurance company. DO NOT go to it. You will regret it every minute thereafter.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I have never been this disappointed with customer service. I have been put on hold for hours and this is the fourth time. I had short term insurance. They were supposed to cancel it and they are still charging on my credit card. I just wanted to call them to cancel the payments but so hard to reach. Pissed off.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 1991 and am on a medication called **. This medication cost $5,300 per month. I am unable to afford this medication on my own and so I am on a copay assist program with Shared Solutions where they pay my copay. This is not a 'coupon' like United Health Care calls it, this is actual cash money that the pharmacy (UHC's pharmacy) takes out of an account set aside for me to pay my copay. When I first started on this copay assist program, United Health Care applied it to my deductible, as they should have, since they are getting actual money & not just giving off a discount. This year United Health Care has created a policy that they will not longer apply copay assist money to a patient's deductible. When I talked to United Health Care they told me the following:

That to continue to apply this money to my deductible is not fair to the healthy people. If I would just pay it myself and the copay assist plan can reimburse me, then they would apply it to my deductible. That it isn't right that I would reach my out of pocket maximum early in the year and the remainder of my medical/pharmacy benefits would be paid at 100% and that isn't fair. What seems to be happening here is that United Health Care does not want to fulfill their obligation to pay 100%, when a patient reaches their out-of-pocket maximum. Here is a statement from United Health Care to Cindy St. Clair from Get Gephardt on KUTV 2 News, when they did a story about this issue:

“As I mentioned, this decision to not allow coupons to apply to a member’s deductible is based on similar policies and precedents already implemented by all government-sponsored health plans. The Federal government already forbids the use of manufacturer coupons by anyone enrolled in Federal health care programs, such as Medicare, Medicaid, Tricare and the Veterans Administration." In general, drug coupons contribute to rising health care costs by incentivizing patients to choose a higher-priced option even when a lower-priced alternative is available. Following is a statement for your story.

“United Health Care is committed to providing our members with affordable access to the medications they need. For members that need assistance with their cost-share, our specialty pharmacies will work with them and can help members identify needs-based copay assistance programs that may be available to them.”

When I asked him how much it would be to pay out of pocket with your insurance for that drug *without* a coupon, he estimated about $3200.00. What is interesting about this is that I have another medication I am on that is not as expensive as ** but still is several hundred dollars. United Health Care will only cover the name brand of ** and won't cover the cheaper generic. If they truly cared about the costs of medication then they would cover the generic brand and not force me to get the more expensive name brand of **.

Also, even though $3,200 is $2,000 cheaper than the $5,300 that my ** costs, I still can't afford it. And now that they don't apply the money they get from Shared Solutions to my deductible, I can no longer afford some of the other medications that I need and I can no longer afford the medications that my husband needs for his Type 2 diabetes because of the high deductible plan that we are on. We have to pay 100% of all of our medications until we reach $4,000 when we could start paying 20%.

So if they think it isn't fair to the healthy people they need to think again. What isn't fair is that one of my medications is $5,300 per month plus the other medications like ** are several hundred dollars each & my husband's medications run about $1,500 per month. When someone who has the luxury of being healthy, gets sick, their medications might be a between $30-$100 maybe 1-2 times a year but my family's medications will be around $7,000 per month. That is what isn't fair.

I didn't ask to be sick, I didn't ask to have Multiple Sclerosis and now I feel like United Health Care that doesn't apply money they are getting on my behalf to my deductible, is profiting from my copay assist plan. They are misappropriating money they are getting. This is not only illegal but it is unethical and there is no accountability for the insurance companies. The important points are the following:

Shared Solutions copay assist program is NOT A COUPON, United Health Care is getting actual money from Shared Solutions. The Federal Government's policy, that they refer to, applies to discount 'coupons' not actual money. I understand if I wanted them to apply a discount to my deductible, but that is NOT what my copay assist program is. They are calling all programs coupons so that they can profit from these programs.

Medications are so prohibitively expensive that people aren't able to afford them and, for millions of people, this will mean an early death. These insurance companies and pharmacies are playing with people's lives, millions of people's live & as patients we should be frightened that there is no accountability for the insurance companies.

If, as a patient, I tried to profit from my insurance company, I would be in jail. Right now the insurance companies & pharmacies are, not only profiting from their patients with no repercussions but it is like extortion. If we, as patients, complain about what is happening then the insurance company makes things more difficult and if we try to regulate what they want to do, at the expense of the patient, they may just pull out of offering insurance in our state, which leaves us with even less options.

After making a complaint to the Utah State Insurance Department here is the conclusion from United Health Care to the Insurance Department: "Copayment assistance from third parties is intended to help members with copayments of medications that are typically a financial burden due to the high cost. The Shared Savings copayment assistance is fulfilling its intended purpose in assisting Ms. ** with her copayments for **. If the full $12,000.00 granted amount collected from Shared Savings was used towards the out-of-pocket maximum, this would provide Ms. ** with zero copayments for all other services under her insurance policy, including those not related to **."

Basically, what this is saying is that United Health Care does not want to fulfill their policy obligation to pay 100% after the out of pocket maximum is met and they have created a policy that will allow them to do this and not fulfill their part of the policies they offer their insureds. United Health Care has no accountability when they force insureds to purchase the name brand of medications rather than the generic brand, like my **. But claim they want to bring prices down.

United Health Care told me that if I paid the copay myself and then got reimbursed from Shared Solutions, they would apply it to my deductible. This is the same money that they aren't applying to my deductible. Will they then have the power to look into my personal information & tell me that if I get reimbursed for what I pay that they still won't apply it to my deductible? What United Health Care is doing is trying to find ways to profit more from their insureds and it is unethical and illegal with no accountability.

Today, I got a letter from United Health Care saying they no longer cover **. I have been fighting this for a year now and did an interview with the Wall Street Journal, who contacted United Health Care a week ago about my story. How odd that this letter came a week after the Wall Street Journal contacted them about my story. This company is unethical and only cares about profiting from their insureds regardless of the consequences. I'm doing what I can to continue this fight because it isn't only about me but about millions of other people out there who are suffering because of this same situation.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Bottom line, they are hard to reach. My employer chose this provider for employee health insurance. There's no way to email United Health Care or submit a message on their website. Support is not available weekends. When chat is offline, you can't use it to leave them a message. Their website has a feature where you enter your phone # and they'll call you back, but it's not working today, and maybe for longer than just today. You have to enter a subject (required field), but the field is missing, so you can't enter it.

They said a tax document was available if I logged in. It was in fact not there. This reduces members' trust in the company, and its credibility. It's not urgent to have the form, but it wastes members' time to say something is available and then as a member you take the time to log in and navigate to the right place only to find that last year's tax document is the only one there. They want your money but they don't do a good job of helping members with questions.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

My baby has small airways and was diagnosed with Trisomy 18. They won't even cover his CPAP and G-tube supplies, with their platinum level insurance nonetheless! Ridiculous! Are they just wanting our baby to die? Why would they make us pay for all of the supplies and services? What's the point of having insurance then?

United Health Care Company Information