Term Life Insurance Quotes

Protect your loved ones. Check rates against other carriers.

Compare Rates
AIG Life Insurance
3.55/5

AIG Life Insurance

AIG has insurance policies that protect your financial health, including life, travel and auto insurance. AIG isn't an InsuraMatch partner. Call InsuraMatch to get multiple auto insurance quotes and policy advice in just 10 minutes. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Term Life Insurance Quotes

Protect your loved ones. Check rates against other carriers.

Compare Rates

207 AIG Life Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 21, 2019

I get billed quarterly for my life insurance premium. I always pay it online the same day I get it and every time I get a letter about a month later saying my policy has lapsed due to payment not being received. Seems like what they're doing is trying to set up a fake paper trail so they have a reason not to pay out when the day comes.

Original review: July 12, 2019

I have been lied to on two separate occasions by customer service which resulted in a financial loss to me. I am questioning whether this company will actually pay Seth benefits to my beneficiary upon my death. I do not recommend this company. I would cancel my policy but I would lose the money I've already paid in. Someone in upper management needs to correct the problems with customer service, however I am highly doubtful this will happen. They continually say they are a reputable company having been in business for over 100 years. That only means 100 years of deceiving and preying upon consumers. Please, please take my advice and do not do business with this company.

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 28, 2019

I completed the required paperwork to file a claim for a special needs cousin who passed away suddenly. She had no parents or siblings still living, so all of the funeral expenses fell upon me and my mother, which required a second mortgage on our home. After a month of NO RESPONSES, I called every day to find out the status of the claim only to be told, it will take another 48-72 hrs. As I started to read the other reviews posted on this site, I started to notice a pattern. This must be the mode of operation for AIG, to delay or avoid paying claims. They seem to cash the premium checks very quickly, however, distribution is quite another situation altogether!

Original review: June 7, 2019

Absolutely terrible company, do not use them for anything. I filed a claim and they didn’t even consider it. Customer service is like talking to robot. Do not use them. SCAM. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. SCAM SCAM SCAM. ** THIS **.

Original review: June 4, 2019

At 69 yes my life policy would expire at 74 but at 74 Insurance could is unaffordable, AIG came to my home with my financial guy to present an annuity/life policy. The AIG agent misrepresented the program where if I used the money as an annuity I would still provide the full investment as a life policy to my wife. And my annuity would be life long (both very important as my wife was younger). My agent filled out my application incorrectly to submit to AIG. AIG would not allow my wife on the annuity so when I pass she has no Inuits income.

I was given a guarantee of a min of 6% per year regardless of market. At 74 after my other policy lapsed due to age I learned from my broker that the AIG agent misrepresented the policy as they say he was talking about another company. I filed a complaint with AIG - no result - I filed a complaint with state Insur Comm, they Claim I can only get my initial investment returned with NO INTEREST over the five years they held my funds. I WOULD LIKE TO FIND OTHERS FOR A CLASS ACTION SUIT.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AIG?

Original review: May 17, 2019

If AIG is considered one of the better insurance companies, we are in serious trouble. Customer service is a complete nightmare. The company does very well for taking your money but struggles to resolve problems/issues. If you have to call customer service for any reason, God help you! The incompetence is very obvious from the minute they answer the phone. I would rather speak to a robot than to listen to the representative stammer and stutter to resolve my issue - which is still not resolved by the way. If I didn't have enough reasons to live, I need to live so that my family doesn't have to deal with this incompetent company. If you searching for life insurance, I truly encourage you to look elsewhere. You do not need the headache that will come with these idiots.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I have been trying for 6-months to settle a death claim on my late mother's accounts (2)! These small settlements are the only thing holding up the final settlement of my late mother's estate. We get no explanation of what the problem might be, just "stonewalled": with the phrase "your death claim is still under review in the legal department"! Is AIG stalling on all claims so that they can show a profit for the quarter? Based on my family's experience with this claim, one of my sisters is considering moving her account to another investment firm, and for sure, I would not invest with AIG, in any form!

Original review: April 26, 2019

Formally, my retirement account was with Valic. AIG assumed Valic and this is where the problems began. The once kind representative became nasty and began forgetting scheduled appointments. I put in paperwork with the Plan With Ease Part that is a part of CPS. The next thing I knew varied information was required that was not written before. I have completed the paperwork, emailed and faxed other work. I have received three word emailed replies to my questions. I have been ignored when emailing for clarity. At this point being almost a month since my request, I am seeking out my attorney as to why the money I saved for retirement is being stalled and no information provided. I am also going to contact the BBB. I am finally going to contact the teacher’s union to advise teachers not to use them as a retirement prospective.

Original review: April 14, 2019

I was trying to cash in an insurance policy that had matured after 62 long years. So I did all the necessary paperwork expecting a check to arrive in 14 to 21 days. After 27 days had passed I contacted the company and they said they never received all of the paperwork. So I overnighted (25.50) the paperwork in question. Called AIG the next day and was told they had received it and that I would receive my check in 10 to 14 days. Gave them the allotted time still no check.

Spoke to customer service again, they informed me the check was in the system waiting to be printed and that all they could do was to put in the system to expedite it. I should receive the check in 10 to 14 days. Then instead of a check I received another letter stating that they had not received all the paperwork necessary. So once again I called, they out of the blue found the paperwork and my check was in the system waiting to be printed. Which is the same thing I have been told time and time again. So then I asked for a supervisor to find out why I am getting the runaround. Why can’t I get my money owed to me from this company? What is the problem?

Finally after I had to get angry, raise my voice and almost to the point of screaming did I get a hold of the customer service line supervisor in Nashville named Beverly. She promised me that she was personally going to get a hold of the senior analyst to find out what the problem was. Beverly would not give me her last name nor would she give me a phone number or even an extension to follow up with her. She was going to without fail going to call me back and inform me as to what and where my check was and when to expect it. Beverly said that if I did not hear back from her to call customer service back and ask to be transferred to her. Well, I tried that! That most certainly was a joke. When I called back I got a hold of Latasha a member of the customer service escalation team. She said she would look into it and call back that same day no matter what. Never heard from her either!

Called back the same afternoon and went around with them until I was connected to Stefan a supervisor of the escalation team and he told me that Latasha had entered my problem into the computer. That someone was looking into the problem. That there was nothing else he or anyone else could do. Now I’m to the point that I’m tired of messing with this company. I’ve been patient even after 3 months have passed which I feel is ample time for this to have been settled. I have filled out all the necessary paperwork even sent it overnight, I have called somewhere around 20 times.

I finally told Stefan if I did not have this check by this Wednesday April 17 I would be contacting an attorney. I don’t want to do that. I don’t like operating that way but this company has left me no other choice. I have been lied to over and over. I just want the money owed to me. After this long talk with him about 10 minutes had passed when I received a phone call back from Jessica who is a member of the priority support group (which is the 1st in 3 months) informing me they would email me next Wednesday with information on the problem but no promises of an answer only information. So I explained to Jessica once more if I do not have a check in my hands by Wednesday April 17, 2019 whether it be by overnight or what that I will be contacting an attorney, plus the Better Business Bureau and whatever other means I have at my disposal. Thank you, Doug **.

Original review: March 19, 2019

My mother was harassed by this company's cold calling, financial advisor over three or four days to take out one of their policies which costs more than the other company she has been with for years. I have lodged a formal complaint with them, and will also be doing so via FSA. Their financial advisor became quite aggressive in tone, and did not like the fact that I would be as mums appointee be cancelling this cold called pressure sold product.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I needed to pull out my policy. They told me it would take two months. 2 1/2 months they told me it was sitting on a desk and they forgot about it. I called and called and called trying to push this through going on six months and still have not received my money that was just going to my account. I keep calling but the only answer they will give me is, "We are working on it!!!" I asked to talk to a manager or someone in charge but was told no.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Updated on 03/04/2019: After writing my initial review here I decided to file a complaint with the BBB. Within five days of the BBB notifying me that they had contacted AIG, I received notice from AIG that a refund had been made to my credit card. Then today I actually received an apology letter for their "inadvertent" (yeah right) delay in processing my refund and being sorry that I had to contact the BBB. Maybe a complaint to the BBB might help others here.

Original Review: I took out a policy because it was required with the health insurance I was buying. I cancelled both within the five day grace period. This was three months ago. I was told the refund would come in a check. When that didn't arrive in four weeks, I called and was told it would go back to my credit card within ten days. That was six weeks ago. When I called again, I was told they would "expedite" the refund and it would be done in 1-2 days, That was a week ago. The number I was given for the agent to handle the cancellation at the start was not the right number, when they gave me another number for the agent, it went to voicemail with no mailbox set up. I have decided I will never get the refund and hope I never have to deal with this company again.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

AIG is an insurance scam. While traveling from Italy to Germany my 1 year old fell sick for a day, no alarming reason to go to a hospital or any kind of physician. So we missed our 0900 flight to Sweden, the airline proceeded to cancel all our tickets because of this, including our return flights. I had to (on my birthday) fork up most of the money my family and I saved for this specific trip and buy all new tickets so we could continue our trip and be able to make it home. AIG Insurance sold me FULL coverage flight insurance and has refused to pay. I did everything I was supposed to, I called before the missed flight, I called after, I submitted my claim, I asked for guidance and just always got the same answer, “I’ll annotate there was no physician's note.” Wow. Thanks for your help. AIG is an insurance scam.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I called them in November 2017, Have them start a policy. They dropped the ball. Emailing back and forth by signed the papers, scanned it and they never received it. Scanned it twice and then a third time. Christmas came. Nothing. No policy. Emailing back and forth, calling occasionally. Meanwhile my policy with another company cancelled at age 57. Now I have no insurance. Contact them again and here we are another three and a half weeks later and they still have not activated a policy. Always emailing back and forth. Phone assistance never available. Agent never available. Speaking with customer service is helpful. However, they can't even see the policy once the other agent has locked it in. They are the absolute worst!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I had a heart attack Feb 2018? I told AIG about it, went through all the paperwork, healthcare professionals statement etc. AIG said my heart attack was not big enough! I have canceled my policy and good riddance, to the con artists. People start saving your pennies the old fashion way. You won’t need anyone’s permission for payout, should anything happen to you. Leave it with your family and tell them where to find it. If you save your money yourselves, it still will be better than paying into a black hole, where the insurers profit and leave you and your family, out of pocket. Come on let’s take back control. There will not be a need for solicitors or ombudsmen.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Read the fine print. I purchased my air travel through Expedia and they offered travel insurance which I always purchase separately, but this time, I purchased it through Expedia for almost $300 - it was through AIG. Our baggage never made it to Europe and we didn't have baggage for four days. We had to purchase clothes and toiletries amounting for about $139. I filed a claim under baggage delay and they denied it. They said since our bags weren't lost or stolen they denied the claim. I've never heard such crap from any other insurance that I purchased. Horrible company.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I am a 27 year old, hard working person with a full time government job and two parents that tragically passed due to 8- and 13- year battles with cancer. My firefighter husband has worked hard at the CA wildfires which has supplemented our income so that we could afford my parents' residual bills, but his extra income can only go so far. The frustration and mistreatment that we have experienced from AIG is so very sad, and I would never in my life recommend using them for life insurance if you, like my parents, have the intention of financially taking care of your kids upon your passing.

Today is December 3, 2018. I submitted claim paperwork for my father's life insurance policy on October 14, 2018. To ensure efficiency and accuracy, since the death of my parents placed mortgages into my responsibility that I cannot afford, I filled out the claim paperwork with an AIG representative on the phone. They went through the claim paperwork line-by-line with me. "Great customer service," I thought.

It took AIG until October 30th to notify me that the claim paperwork had been filled out incorrectly, even though I completed it with the help of staff. I was able to send in the missing information via email at my urgent request, again, due to looming inherited bills that I simply could not afford. They obliged and on October 30th, I submitted the paperwork to **.

I continued to receive "incomplete claim" letters from AIG, so on November 19 or 20, I called to confirm that the missing information had been received by AIG. Until I provided the date on which the email with the missing information was sent, all AIG staff claimed that it had not been received. Finally a claim examiner confirmed its receipt, and ensured I would receive my check by November 28 - in time for the next round of mortgages.

Since not receiving the check on the 28th, I have spent over three hours on the phone with AIG - most times starting the conversation completely from the beginning because my account notes seem to never get updated by AIG staff. I have been promised return phone calls from claim examiner Caroline **, and an overnighted check from claim examiner Treasure, neither of which delivered on their promises. Staff repeatedly claims that "they cannot transfer me to a supervisor," or "I am the supervisor," or that they cannot give me written proof of our conversations.

My parents did not pay for their life insurance policies so that my sister and I could experience this totally avoidable debt after their passing. My parents did not trust AIG with their policies so that my sister and I could struggle financially for months after their passing. Yet this is the reality we are facing, and AIG has simply given us the runaround.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

AIG would not honor my claim. I was traveling to Wilmington NC and Wrightsville Beach. Hurricane Florence hit the week before my travel. Of course the whole area was essentially shut down. Therefore we had no reason to travel there - nowhere to stay, nothing to do, etc. Because flights were still traveling into and out the airport AIG denied our claim.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I am a father-in-law of a service member who has just been deployed. I had the task of flying to New York to drive home with my daughter so she would not be alone during her husband's deployment. As you can guess with the Army things change so plans have to change. I had the unfortunate task of having to change my flight plans several times to accommodate the Army timetable. I purchased the AIG flight insurance expecting the insurance to protect my investment in the plane ticket. I was very disappointed to be told that my claim was denied. The flight insurance was useless. This is most disturbing news that the company will not support the extend family of our service members.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

After using AIG to insure a short trip to visit an active duty military family member stationed here in the US, I am completely and utterly disappointed in the handling of my claim. Me and my girlfriend went to visit my brother, who is active military, stationed in VA. We were going to fly there, get picked up by my brother and stay at his home there. We also planned on traveling with him and exploring the area with him. A few weeks before our departure date, my brother got called on deployment. After seeing the policy says it covers “traveling companions” who are called to military service I tried to file a claim. After filing the claim and patiently waiting a week to hear back from somebody, nobody called or emailed me. So I call to check on my claim. They said they never got the documents.

Back to square one with the claim. I sent all the documents in again. Unfortunately it took over 3 weeks for them to process my paperwork and to tell me that some of the files were corrupted and to send the documents again. Back to square one, AGAIN. So after sending documents for the third time, and about a month later, they finally email me to deny my claim. Telling me my brother does not count as a “traveling companion” since I did not have any documentation proving he was a “traveling companion”. My girlfriend is a government employee also, way to take care of your military and government employees and families!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Had to cancel my flights due to work related issues, and didn't go through the policy carefully before purchasing the plan. The CANCELLATION PLAN was recommended on Expedia, so I purchased this in case I need to make changes to my original plan. But then I was denied coverage because you have to be LAID OFF from your work to be able constitute a "work-related" reason. EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED, DO NOT RECOMMEND.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I do not have any experience with AIG other than a recent medical screening at home this past weekend but after reading all of these horrible, horrible reviews I think I have to pass. My heart is breaking for all of those that have been getting such a run-a-round for months and months. Reading all of these make me feel really sick to my stomach. Sounds like this company needs to be to looked at very carefully.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

AIG consistently asked for medical information that I had given half a dozen times. Full medical access was granted yet AIG could never get the information needed. Asked me the consumer to get several times and three months into process they were asking more questions than at the beginning concerning my relatively healthy 47 year old wife. They seem to want customers that have never been to see a doctor or have no plans to see one.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

AIG Life Insurance, through its technology, made it very easy and convenient for me to acquire the life insurance that I think I want and always needed. It is a great company, able to dispense quick and instructive responses in the application process for new clients like me.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I paid a little over $100 to insure a short trip to Mexico to attend a friend’s engagement party. I got severe poisoning on a Friday night and was supposed to fly out on Sunday, but still felt far too sick to go on the trip. My claim was completely denied because I didn’t go - on a weekend - to a doctor for food poisoning, which I’ve had more than a few times in my life. This insurance is a complete and total waste of money. The level of documentation and other things that are needed in order to have a claim fulfilled are ridiculous and the insurance DOES NOT pay if something happens to you. Buyer beware.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I purchased a AIG policy for 300,000. My premium payment has been deducted from my bank every month since 10/2012. The policy included a cancer policy rider. I called the company to get some information on the policy. I was told the policy was cancelled Oct 2013. I was never notified and AIG continued to take the payment from my bank account up to this 8/25/2018. AIG customer service rep told me they would call me back they never did. I received a form letter today that clearly is a indication of deception. The letter states the policy was 100,000. It is in fact 300,000 and that the policy had increased payments that were not met. I was never notified of any increased payments. The letter also indicates the policy was cancelled 2013. I was never notified. I am 55 now and out thousands dollars/. I will contact Dept Insurance and my lawyer.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Every month, and I do mean every month, we pay our insurance premium on time and every single month we get a lapse notice from them threatening to terminate our insurance if they do not receive payment by a certain date. Mind you, their notice is received 4 days after payment is due and 2 after their check has ALREADY cleared our bank. Another time, they did terminate our insurance, yet we had paid the bill. As it turns out, they formerly had 4 billing centers and consolidated them into one and failed to tell people who pay their bills online of the new mailing address. It took a lot of screaming and talking to their 4 supervisors to get it straightened out. What a mess.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I will be looking For a lawyer. They cancelled my 30 yr. policy that I was told by my agent whom was retiring at the time due AIG did not to use agents anymore. So I stop making premiums however I applied for reinstatement which was DENIED after catching up $675.00 premium. Denied due to health issues that I have NOW. Policy is 30+ yrs old!! And there were no medical questions asked at that time and they also advertise right now that you can obtain a policy with no medical questions asked. This is BS!!! I NEED A LAWYER!!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

My experience with AIG isn’t a good one. I have been with AIG for many years, but since the closure of offices in Atlanta, I have had the worse experience ever. Customer service rep are rude and very disrespectful. Not to mention that they have no knowledge of what you are explaining to them. Furthermore, myself and my mother have both been paying on a loan for the longest, but the balance hasn’t decreased at all. When we ask AIG where the payments are going, they say they are being applied, but I’m sure my balance should go down, not remain the same. I don’t recommend them to anyone at all.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

My husband and I have canceled everything with AIG due to the headache it has caused us just to get signed up for life insurance. My husband and I were wanting a life insurance plan of $500,000 for both of us. From the beginning we completed everything immediately. I even completed the medical exam part the exact same week upon request and my husband the week after I believe. After that he sent 3 emails to our agent Ryan **, in which we never heard back from nor ever received anything from the company. After a few weeks we got letters in the mail stating that because we have not completed our forms, our insurance request has been cancelled. I was in shock! We never received a thing in the mail, email, or via our agent.

My husband had another party through his employer to try and contact our agent Ryan at that time and his excuse was, "Everything has gone into my junk mail." So clearly he didn't try to follow up with anything and requested our insurance be canceled. After that, Ryan and my husband got together to complete the process and my husband was informed at that time his premium would be 3 times the amount quoted from the beginning. He wanted Ryan to double check on that before proceeding with his so after weeks of waiting yet again, my husband all of a sudden noticed my premium taken out of his account (which was fine as I was all set up now) but AIG also took out 2 previous months of premiums as well!!

Why would 3 months be deducted when this was 100% Ryan's responsibility for not getting us signed up until the past month? Not to mention they increased my premium from the beginning to when it was taken out as I was "older now". My birthday is not until November and it is August right now but because I'm a bit older from when we started, they felt a need to increase. Like I stated from the beginning. AIG has been HORRIBLE to work with and nothing but trouble. We tried going higher up to find out why it's been so difficult with Ryan but he stated that AIG only speaks with their agent directly and not the customer.

AIG Life Insurance Company Information