AIG Life Insurance

Compare Life Insurance

Research top Life Insurance recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

As the other reviewers mentioned, I was a loyal paying customer for years and when a payment lapsed I was put through a 4 month wait to hear back from their underwriters. They ask for items to be faxed. 20 years ago that might have been quick but this is 2016. I was even told that a form had to be emailed to me and that would take 24 hours. What email takes 24 hours to go through? Then I was told I would only hear from them by mail, regular snail paced mail! The customer service is from Manila. When you speak there is a delay on the call. I could go on and on. I can't imagine how bad it will be the day I might need to make a claim.

AIG is the best, I love this company. Customer service very nice, helpful. Well sometimes it might take you a few minutes get thru them, that 's normal. In life you got to be patient... My mother died. I call them to make a claim. They treat very nice with respect. In little 3 weeks I received my check... Thanks AIG to stand with me. GOD BLESS AIG, I love you guys.

We have had AM Gen, now AIG, insurance since 1987 and have a policy we have paid since then. AIG has since said we have to cancel our policy and now they just sent us a cancellation. This is not right. We have not missed a payment or anything. We took this policy in good faith as a young couple and now nearly 30 years later they say "oh we can't afford to cover you at the rate this policy was written for!" That's illegal isn't it! I am sitting here for over 30 minutes waiting to get hold of a real person on the phone from AIG!

My mother passed away in April. I have sent AIG all of the information they requested and they still want more. This is the worst customer service I have experienced.

I paid for 11 years always on time. One month, they did not bill me. I noticed a few weeks later and sent in my payment along with my next quarterly payment. They sent it back. They claimed they sent me a lapse notice, which I never got, and they said they had billed me, which they did not. I am going to double check with my bank to see if I was on auto payment or not, but I paid religiously for 11 years and they did not even have the courtesy to see if I was dead or alive. They gave me forms to fill out to get reinstated and after months, they denied me and told me to reapply. My rate was not low, so they just wanted to lose me for some reason. I am pissed and I hope I can sue them. This company should never have been bailed out with my tax money. They truly SUCK and my guess, most insurance companies cannot be trusted, just as the banks. They do wrong things and they get slapped on the wrist. Many belong in jail!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AIG?

My husband passed away this past March. Prior to his passing he had become disabled and had applied for the disability rider on his life insurance policy. He had submitted the required paperwork but they requested additional information. He continued to be unsuccessful in obtaining the benefit and became frustrated with the process and so had given up. Since his passing I have been trying to gain information on behalf of my children and reopen the case as had been stated in a letter to him. I also at the time of his death had been advised that the information needed could be resubmitted.

I have called several times asking for assistance in what information is still needed and been told that the matter is being escalated and referred to senior management and that I should expect a callback. This has not happened and the last rep I called gave me conflicting information and would not let me speak to a manager. He was unsympathetic and completely unhelpful. This is who they let represent their company? I will be filing a complaint with DFS and canceling my own policy with this company as I am not confident that at the time of my passing my children can depend on a benefit to be paid to them. I'll take my chance elsewhere.

I signed up for a 30 year lock on my life insurance in 2003. I set up auto bill pay from same account for 13 years with no issue. This year they say they never received payment even though my bank said it was mailed and proved it. They sent an e-mail 2 months later and never called. They cancelled my insurance, forced me to fill out all sorts of forms, made it painful and lengthy but I did it. Then they just sent me back my money back saying they denied my application. This was a ply all along to get out of a long term contract. I called 5 times and the shortest I waited was 24 minutes and hung up. Typical big company screwing the little guy any chance they can.

My step-mother passed away in May 2016. Paperwork was filed before end of May. We received something back stating we needed another document... filled it out and sent it back the next day. Here it is end of August, and STILL nothing. My dad called them for status. The person he spoke with said everything appears to have been processed and isn't sure what the hold up was, said he would push it on through. Now my dad got a call stating another document needs to be done and it's being sent through the mail. WHY in the world would they not have looked through everything and done it all at the same time, instead of doing it piece meal? WHY put people through this? Isn't the death of a loved one hard enough on them, then to have to go through this just to get their death benefits? It's WRONG! Something needs to be done to correct the process and make it easier on the loved ones.

My father passed away March 30, 2016. I got all of the paperwork together and mailed the claim form in mid-April. It was the middle of July before they paid and every time I called, it was a 20-25 minute wait to speak with someone, and they each gave me a different excuse. I think the only reason they paid when they did is because I threatened to contact the insurance commissioner's office. I am now waiting for them to mail my mother her cash surrender value of her policy because AIG's customer service is the absolute worst I have ever experienced, I never want to deal with them again. When I called to verify they had all of the documents needed to cash out the policy, I was told that they did not receive the documents to process the payout, just the termination notice. THEY LIE. It was all sent together and when I told him that, he said my mother would receive her check in 10 days. This company is pure SCUM, at its finest.

After reviewing a life insurance policy, we decided not to keep it. Returned the policy and cancelled in writing per AIG cancellation guidelines. When I called 13 days later to confirm receipt of cancellation notice, I was told refund would be processed within 5 days, and I would receive a check in the mail. 35 days later, a supervisor apologized for the excessive delay, said the problem would be resolved quickly, and I would receive the refund back on my credit card. 8 days later, I was told it would be 73 days (from the previous week) to refund the premium via check. I have decided that I must call every week to confirm the status of the refund until I receive it. I am done being polite and patient.

My daughter is in Japan and has an ear problem while she happens to be out of the country. We made what we thought was the full payment over a month before the trip but somehow there was additional charge of about $7.00 that we didn't realize that we had to make bc we had to adjust the dates of the trip. Now her AIG plan, which was expensive, has now defaulted to a secondary insurance bc we were unaware of the additional $7.00 we had to pay. Now she has to suffer until Aug. 10th. I am pretty sure the Japanese won't take the basic insurance that she has in the states. So ** AIG. Zero stars for you. Now she has to suffer. Policy plan **.

I am aware that customer can be wrong and they are not always right, however as a customer today with over 20 years of experience in the field I was appalled at the type of customer service AIG allowed a customer to respond to an angry client (me). Today a customer service rep. (what I now know was from the Europe call center company) would take the time out to leave a message telling me that I was rude. I do not believe it was right for this person to return a call to a client for anything other than to speak about their account/policy. This person used personal information for their own needs.

If I could find an insurance company with the same benefits that you supply or better yet when I do find another company I will be leaving your company. I do not know if this customer service rep. used your telephone line or their personal phone due to the number came into my phone as restricted. Should you find this person I hope that he/she is reprimanded accordingly.

I am very disappointed and if a rude client gets the best of your CSR to prompt them to call back a customer to tell them they were rude, then they do not have the thick skin of a customer service rep and is in the wrong profession. For the record I was rude - it annoys me to speak to a person that do not understand me and blames it on a bad connection. If a person did not hear you they would not reply with an answer (wrong answer that is). I am disgusted at this customer service. I cant wait to leave your company.

I have had a 10-year term life insurance policy that I paid $652.05 annually. The 10 years is up and they raised the premium to $2573.76. I waited for 25 minutes to speak to a person and then I asked to speak to a supervisor. She said she would put me on hold for a few minutes while she got a supervisor for me. I waited 45 minutes and no one picked up. That is disgraceful! I am now getting quotes from other companies, which have way lower premiums and I do not need a medical exam for any of those companies. I have never had a company treat a 10-year customer, who always paid on time, so disrespectfully. You will not be getting any recommendations from me.

I like my policy. I do not like the 45 minute plus wait on the phone. When I have paid online, they told me that I owed the money because it did not go through. I am not liking the long waits whenever I call. It does not make a difference what time a day I call. I just want to pay my premium.

Shopping for insurance, filled out a form online just for a free quote. Customer service rep called. She was very pleasant. She asked several questions and then transferred me to a totally non-professional male. I told him I had received several quotes and I'm going to compare and make my final decision. He asked me how did I get quotes without seeing a nurse, and what was my hubby's income which I gave him the information and told him. I just want a quote based on the info needed. I totally understood that the quote could changed based on the final review. This clown became aggressive over the phone to the point that my husband heard him through phone and advise me to hang up and not to deal with this company ever. So I am a witness to the negative reviews. Yes they are true and it only takes one bad apple to spoil the entire company.

Spoke with a rep over two weeks ago who set me up with an appointment today for a nurse. Nurse was supposed to show at 10:30 today. No contact was made and the nurse was a no show. I fasted for 3 hours. Mind you I am pregnant. The company did not answer the phone numbers provided. I will not work with this company. Very upset.

On hold for over a half-hour both times I've called. Call center overseas somewhere. Reps are nice enough but hard to understand, partly because of the connection.

When I started work for a large county in Oklahoma as a database administrator, part of my compensation package was short-term disability through AIG. Also offered was a "buy-up option to long-term disability, or "LTD". I opted for this coverage, even though I never expected that I would ever need it. Two years into my employment, I suffered a devastating stroke that was nearly fatal and left me with major paralysis on my left side. Even though AIG promised benefits up to 2/3's of my yearly salary, because I now draw Social Security benefits, they deducted the amount of my SS benefits. I have never received more than around $700/month from them. Also, in order for my benefits to continue, they demand that I provide them with a voluminous document proving my disability on an annual basis.

Owing to my paralysis, I am barely able to write, and then with only my right, non-dominant hand. Due to this, I was unable to provide them with the documentation they demanded by their deadline, and my benefits were suspended until I complied with their demand. After sending them their documentation, my benefits resumed, however, I only received one check before they suspended them again, this time because they are now demanding an "injury/illness status report" from my doctor, which they sent to the wrong recipient two times.

Now, I have supplied them with the correct number to fax their demand to, and called back to insure that it was sent. The only people I can get on the line are call-center flunkies who know nothing and care less, and when I demand to speak with my "case manager" can only get voicemail. This company cares nothing about their responsibilities or the people they're supposed to be serving. It is obvious to me that their main goal is to get out of paying rightly owed benefits by any means at their disposal. If this issue is not resolved immediately I will have no option other than to contact an attorney. Please, do not do business with this company unless you enjoy foot-dragging, stalling, unreturned phone calls and headache after headache. These people are crooks.

Never let AIG Insurance take auto bank withdrawals from your bank account. In June of 2013 we had decided to let my husband's 10-yr term policy lapse because rates were much lower and we could get a better rate by shopping a new policy. We didn't realized AIG had not cancelled our policy as requested and we had already purchased a new policy. They claimed our agent had apparently retired and was supposed to contact us personally when a policy is about to lapse or renew. AIG claims to have sent a letter stating this increase would occur though we NEVER received a letter.

For 8 months they withdrew $557.96/mo for a policy that we originally paid about $50/mo. This was an egregious increase and because we signed an agreement allowing them to withdraw automatic payments from our account they claim they were justified in doing so. I had sent a letter and made numerous phone calls without any resolution. They switched compliance analyst on us and I tried to contact him for four months leaving messages every month with no returned calls. He claims he had been calling the wrong number and also had an address for us in another state that we had never heard of. All of this is convenient to AIG because it allows them to steal from their customers without any accountability for having inaccurate information. It's no wonder we never received a notice of the increase if they had our address completely wrong as well as our phone number.

When we bought our $50,000 life insurance for $35.00/month in 1991 from American General Life now called AIG, we didn't realize that in 2005 our rates would start to skyrocket. Every year on husband's birthday in Sept. and again in January, the rate increased to the point that in 2013 we would have to spend over $250.00 per month to keep this $50,000 policy. So we canceled the policy. My husband was born in 1948. Talking to others age 60 or so we heard the same complaint. They take our money each month but when you might need the insurance because of age, they stick it to you. The St Louis branch was very condescending to us when we questioned the increase 2 times a year. They don't care. I would NEVER want anyone else to go through what we did.

Do not do business with this company. In 2010 I took out accidental life for me and the wife which I cancelled soon after. Well I check the statement online one day and I realize they have been deducting premiums for 4 the years. I check my policy online and they show have been cancelled back in 2010. After chewing them out and demanding my money back and letting them know to stop taking premiums I looked at my bank statement and they are still taking out premiums. I had to close my checking account because of them. This company is no good.

AIG provides reasonable rates for good coverage. I have had no issues, but I haven't tried to make a claim. I bought term coverage because whole life was too expensive.

I took out a life insurance policy and stated it must be a fixed premium and death benefit. Agents I dealt with were Wendy ** and Dana **. I had doubts when policy was issued about the fixed premium but they kept assuring me that was what I had. I paid policy one year advance upfront $5700. Months later after continual questioning of Dana and Wendy plus company compliance department I found out I was lied to and was a victim of bait and switch. The illustration of the policy was totally different than the policy. Only the policy matters. The illustration doesn't count. Wendy and Dana were quoting from illustration. Jeff ** and his supervisor have done nothing to remedy the matter. I have made dozens of phone calls and none of them returned.

I am now out $5700 and have a policy that's worthless. I will contact the Illinois attorney general's office and the Illinois dept of insurance. This is a clear case of Bait and Switch and just plain theft and fraud. There also was a lady in the consumers dept who also blew me off. Her name was Adriene **. She sent me a letter confirming I did in fact get a bad policy but she just kicked the can down the road back to Jeff ** who has done nothing nor will he answer my phone messages. Take my advice. Do not deal with this company. You will get burned. If they do send you a policy. Read it closely. If you have any questions; cancel it, don't ask the agent or the company anything. They will lie!

AIG seems to think they do not have to regulate 3rd party advertisers. They refuse to cease and desist with daily email harassment for products and services. They have already been informed they are one of the last insurances companies I would ever deal with, yet they continue their harassment. They must be totally desperate.

I have a simple Daily in Hospital Plan with AIG that pays - wait for it $23 USD a day if I am in Hospital. Have had the policy for 12 years. Have made on claim on it previously and only after having to visit their offices on 4 occasions and plenty phone calls never being phoned back they finally paid me out $150 on the claim after 5 months of hassles. I claimed again 4 months ago total of claim $100 after the same run around more than $100 spent on time fuel and hassle than the claim is worth they exclude it on some lame excuse that a detached retina and the time in hospital is not covered.

The treatment I got from our local office was laughable one excuse after another. Then when it comes to the end they refuse to pay 100 lousy $. All the while putting me off and collecting premiums. Now just to cancel the policy I will have to make another 40 km trip to see them. The worst and most unhelpful company I have ever dealt with. If one company did not deserve to be bailed out, it is AIG. They should have been allowed to fail because in my experience they have failed in every respect.

I've never had to think about buying travel insurance because usually I am pretty sure about being able to take a flight. I booked a Virgin America flight this past week for a last minute flight up to Seattle and was fighting allergies but decided in case it turned into a cold, to opt into the Insurance. You get travel insurance so you can cancel a flight if you have to right?? A safety net or a peace of mind, they say. I called yesterday as I officially transitioned from having allergies to being sick, and they said in order for me to get my refund I would have to go to urgent care and get a signed physician's note and submit it.

How do you expect someone to be able to do this all the day before a flight? I purchased insurance so I could get refunded for a flight if need be and it even said when I selected to opt into the insurance "in case of ..", and even Virgin America customer service said the policy visibly says "travel insurance" but it is really baggage insurance, which it does not state it exclusively baggage. I WILL BE FIGHTING THIS.

Customer service is good, website is helpful, plans are easy to understand, cost is affordable and coverage is fair for value. I have had poor customer service experience and rising rates with other companies in the past as a homeowner and AIG is really a good value and takes time to explain a policy and when a claim is submitted it is responded so fast and settled quickly as well.

A lot of insurance companies have given me quotes on life insurances and so far Amica was the best I wanted to be sure that it will help me in the long run and that I wasn't just pouring my money down the drain. Having a family and child it's very important to me to know they can depend on my insurance later on and this insurance company definitely was there for me. There are so many scammers out there so one has to be very careful when picking up a company to be with them for a long while. It is just as important as family is, my husband and I have chosen this company and been with the company for the past 5-6 years. I can't say more than how much I love and appreciate this company. I would definitely recommend this to my friends, family and anyone out there. Not looking to get scammed.

I pay money and they tell me I am covered for XX amount of dollars. I really cannot say much else about my experience because I am still alive and I am relying on a company which I do not know anything about or anyone within which makes me question the validity of the policy and if they will follow through with what they are supposed to.

This company doesn't give you much problem. Their product coverage is usually much more comprehensive compared to the other insurance company. However, this come with a downside - the cost. Their price are usually steeper compared to the rest of the company. In term of customer services, I must said so far I have no complaint on this area. They are in general efficient. Their documentation process are fast, with minimum form filling. They had used the technology to help them to speed up the whole process. In conclusion, I would recommend this insurance company for people who are looking for life insurance and fast and efficient processes.

AIG Life Insurance Company Profile