AIG Life Insurance
  • 1 star
Based on 35 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

AIG Life Insurance

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 9, 2017

119 AIG Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I chartered a boat for $3,800, boat was destroyed in the hurricane, trip insurance dissected the line items of the charter invoice and didn't pay for the boat insurance line item, a mandatory item. (Of course the boat has insurance, the charter company won't allow the boat to leave the dock without it, just like every passenger plane has plane insurance you don't see AIG deducting plane insurance from the payment of a claim for cancelled flights.)

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

My wife passed away early in 2017. It is now November and they are still reviewing the claim. It is a paid up policy from 1969! Lie after lie. Checks in the mail... lie. Sent the check to the wrong address... Lie, Check sent to your daughter... Lie, Forms not filled out in the proper way Lie, lie, lie. Now they have outsourced customer to another country. They suck.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I was trying to get a partial withdrawal on my insurance policy and I never received it after three months of getting the run around from this company. They lie and tell you that the request will be processed in 5 to 7 business days and this never happens. No one has a clue on what's going on in the company. Not even the so called supervisors. My advice is to STAY CLEAR OF THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I'm giving anyone fair warning. Do not let this company be your company to take care of your final stuff or send money to your surviving family members because they will do anything they can not to pay them let online your final expenses. They won't get paid. My family are still waiting on the money that is owed to us as well what is owed to others. Please stay away don't waste your time or money on this fake company. They are not out for anyone but themselves. IF I KNEW IF IT WOULD WORK I WOULD GET A LAWYER AND SUE THEIR ASS.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

After my dad passed away I notified AIG. They sent me a packet of 7-8 pages of paperwork which completely overwhelmed me. I sat for 3-4 days just staring at it then decided to call, a rep walked me through every page, several times saying "don't worry about that part" <= ?? My mom suffered anoxic brain damage so I am now the DPOA in fact as outlined in my parents' DPOAs. I provided all the forms, POA, notarized affidavit and a letter from my mom's MD to the fact she is unable to make any decisions. 16 days later I get a letter telling me the paperwork was completed correctly (girl on phone) & dated wrong?? I had to complete ALL the forms again, get 2 forms notarized and now they want another copy of both my mom & dad's DPOA. Sent them both.

18 days later here comes another BS letter and now I'm getting angry. I had to get another affidavit notarized because I put my mom's DOB 01/01/01 instead of 01/01/1900. Not her DOB but you get my point... I called and tore this rep up... and FYI after each BS "We require more info letter" I called and all you get is the girl that answered, you can't talk to anybody other than these girls & I swear they're reading from a script!!! Sooo again I provide the info. On Oct 16th I received ANOTHER letter, now they want 2 letters from my mom's MDs attesting to her be incapacitated AND they tell me the DPOA is a springing DPOA. Cmon!!! But wait it gets better. They want 2 letters... they send me 1 form!! This BS goes on and on.

Again I called. Now I'm completely irate and ripped this girl who answered a new one!! She says, "Ohhh well I can mail you another one." Damn it. If they want 2 letters send 2 forms + they wanted ANOTHER notarized affidavit of DPOA, OMG at this point I'm in tears and can't believe these people and their practices. Like losing my dad isn't bad enough now I've had to hired 24hr live in caregiver, she (my mom) needs constant supervision. Live in caregivers are very expensive, the money is running out. :( PLEASE do not do business with these people, go with Prudential who settle a claim 7 days after submitting LESS information than AIG wants. I have now been jacked around to the point of being so stressed out I don't know what to do. This has been going on since August, I'm now waiting to see what else they want lie about what they need!!! RUN AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AIG?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

The representative sold me the insurance claiming that it was the same as Aflac. I paid my premiums and months later I was hospitalized for knee surgery and I later filed a claim. I was told by the claims department that their program is not like Aflac and that the salesman should not have presented it as such. I had text messages between me and the salesman, but that did not make a difference. My claim was still denied.

If you get a solicitation call from AIG, hang up. They will tell you anything to make a sale and when the time comes to file a claim, you will be denied regardless of what you were told. It is my personal opinion after reading similar complaints, that this is a regular scam being run by the salesperson and the claims department, a company wide scam.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

This company is a 'RIPOFF'. They will find any reason to deny you. I was recently in Michigan when I was suffering from chronic back pain due to osteoarthritis. I explained to them that I could barely move let alone try and go to an ER and I was away from home. I further explained that if at home it wouldn't cost anything to see my physician but away it would be $75.00. And besides it's not like I hadn't been diagnosed and I sent all my paperwork from all the doctors that I've seen since 2014.

Of course it wasn't good enough and even the idiot Supervisor that contacted me she was just as stupid as the Rep that I talked too. No matter what, this company doesn't want to pay. When I was waiting for the callback, I went online to see how they were rated and unfortunately it was 99% all bad. So buyer beware and just suck it up when you purchase an airline ticket because your claim will most likely be denied. If I could give AIG a negative rating, something with a minus star, believe me I would. From my experience NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER EVER EVER BUY INSURANCE FROM THESE CLOWNS. AND YOU MAY QUOTE ME.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

We had a travel policy (Gold level) with this company for a cruise that had to be canceled due to emergency surgery. The company refused to pay the full premium coverage as stated in the gold policy. Found out later that someone at the company reduced the coverage without my or travel agent’s permission. But we still had paid for the Gold coverage. This is against the law to reduce your coverage without your permission and not refunding some of your premium money back. I would not even give them one star but I have to!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I do not need to go online except with address changes. The premium is withdrawn from my account. The rates are good and the company is highly rated.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Have life insurance, wanted to pay by credit card, for 2 days they gave me the runaround until they said I can't pay with credit card. If they give me so much grief for trying to pay them, heaven forbid if I have to make a claim!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

AIG Life Insurance is refusing to pay a life insurance policy claim. Proceeds allegedly have been sent to the treasurer's office but no one seems to have the assets.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I purchased term life when company under investigation. Got a great rate as I know this is a great company and if the govt. had not made matters worse, it would be a great company again. Mr. Greenberg was a super founder.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I canceled my life insurance policy after having it for over 25 years and have never been late with a payment. It had a value that I was supposed to receive within 10 working days. It is now over 60 working days and still have not received a check. That is not the bad part. The bad part is dealing with customer service which they told me is off shore. After 14 days I called and was told they switched over their computer system and to allow for 14 more days. Then when I called they told me I had made an extra payment and they have to decide whether to refund that payment to me. Then they told me I left out a date on paperwork and I had to resubmit paperwork. Then they told me they didn't have my street address. Then they told me that I requested an address change and they were processing that request. Now the supervisor is involved and he will call me back. Terrible company to deal with.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

A so, so company. I found another with better renters insurance coverage and medical coverage. I believe my new more comprehensive coverage is very valued by me.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

American National Insurance/American General Life Insurance is dependable, honest, and down-to-earth. The few times I contacted them about something, I received information I needed. I still carry a "whole life policy" which I was able to borrow against during a tough time; and they have never bugged me about repaying because adjustments will be made in the policy amount if necessary.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

My husband and I had life insurance with American General Life Insurance for 24 years. In June we received a letter telling us that they were going to triple my husband's premium. The agent that we took out the insurance with has been dead for years so I called an agent in Winston-Salem to see what was going on. I ask how much cash value that we had and they told me how much I had and said that my husband didn't have any because they had been taking it along with what we paid each month. They had increased his premium and not notified us. When we bought the policy we told our agent we wanted whole life and he said that that was what this was. Now I have been told that it is a universal policy. So after 24 years of paying them we have no life insurance because we couldn't pay that high of premium. They are a bunch of crook.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Since Aug. of 2005 $21.90 has been coming auto out of my checking acct. I thought it was part of my Safeco Ins. until I went to close my Wells Fargo acct & transfer auto payments, this one stayed behind. Three months ago I started to try to find out how/what/why this had been instigated. I'm getting the 'run-around' from AIG; they've even faked an audio (they say) of me excepting this National Fire Insurance policy; which I know that I did NOT! I already have full coverage & would not have added anything else to it. Total is over $3,100.00. I'm not going to let them get away with this fraud; BBB, local TV media, lawyer; I will call them all.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

My brother passed away April 28, 2017. I am the administrator of his estate. I have been trying to process two claims since early May and it is now the end of August. Every time I send paperwork in I get a letter back two weeks later saying something is wrong with it. If I call for assistance and have a representative help me over the phone, tell me it is now correct, I still will get a letter saying something is wrong with it. I've written 7 letters, had 5 phone conversations, and submitted 6 official documents and still they have not settled the claim. Every time I call I get a different customer representative who will tell me something different from the last one. AIG has sent me 8 identical form letters requesting a claimant form even though I've already submitted it 3 times and their representative acknowledges they have it over the phone. A terrible, terrible company.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

AIG - Worst EVER Business Experience - Run Far - Run Fast. 10 years into a 15 year term insurance policy I was offered a new replacement policy, lock in your rate now for the next 15 years. This is where the trouble began. After being approved and being assured that the new policy would replace my old policy, I discovered after 5 months that I was making double payments for both policies. Since they will only accept automatic payments from your bank account it quite easy for them to take what they want when they want.

After weeks of calls, multiple customer service contacts, and finally 2 calls from the "domestic relations" office (thanks for nothing Andrea), both accounts were taken off of autopay, but no refund was allowed for the second policy as it was past 60 days-although they had not take taken payments out for that policy until after 60 days and then took 4 PAYMENTS for policy 2 and 1 PAYMENT for policy 1 the same month.

Still trying to resolve the issues, I authorized an auto pay on the second policy for the August 2017, and the company processed the transaction for 6 months worth of payments out of my account. So much for groceries this month. As far as getting a response from AIG, I am unable to sign in to the website (again),

Most days after a considerable time on hold you get someone who will "file a service request".

Today (was worse than the even the bad usual) I spent 2 hours on hold only to finally get someone reading that they are having technical difficulties call later in the week and then hang up on me. I have now lost not only over $500 on the second policy, not to mention the 10 YEARS in premiums on the first policy which they have refused to re-instate, and I am scared to death to do any further business with this company. I have paid my bank to put a stop payment on all AIG transactions coming from my accounts, and do not know when and if anyone will ever respond to the issues of duplicate and overpayments taken directly from my accounts. I would love a return call on these issues from any of the Customer Service people I have spoken to in the past: to name a few names. Wendy **, Beth **, Joe **, Rose, Carlina #**, JL #**, Jen #**, Andrea at "domestic relations".

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I reached out to AIG as they were still charging a family member the monthly fee. Unbeknownst to me I was supposed to call AIG on the day the family member died in order to stop the fees. It is now months after the death and AIG will not give the refund. They did request the death certificate notarized which I provided out of pocket only to get a reply saying because it was not accidental no monies will be given on a policy. Today I spoke with three people all of whom ask several questions and each did not have any answers for me. The policy number which the family member has been paying for years to, AIG says no such account exists. I assume this happens on every single of their policies and by them not being honest in giving a refund they profit heavily on others losses.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I signed up for a life insurance policy with AIG and I was to have a medical examination done at my home. I started fasting at 7:30 p.m., went to bed hungry, drank tons of water, and was ready for my appointment the next morning, at 7:30 a.m. It's going on 8:00 a.m., and nobody shows. I call my health examiner's number and no answer. I leave a message stating I can wait only for 15 more minutes then I'm eating breakfast. I started to feel sick. Now it's going on 8:30 a.m... No calls, no nothing. I called again and still no answer. Just a voicemail recording.

I got to the point where I said "screw this, I'm eating breakfast", so I ate. I was so hungry I could not wait any longer. I get a phone call at around 9:30, and it was the health examiner! She stated "she overslept" and "slept through her alarm" and "did not hear the phone ring", and said, "I do not have a habit of oversleeping; I don't know what went wrong". I'm not sure about that. I went through that fasting for nothing. Whatever happened, it caused an inconvenience for me and I am not risking it happening again. So I am going with another company that does not require medical exams. No way can I put myself through that again.

Original review: July 1, 2017

I contacted AIG because I had not received a statement for payment. I was told me address had been changed, and I know I have not made any changes. I've been a customer of AIG for a long time and don't deserve the treatment I received when I called this office. The guy I spoke with had an accent so bad I couldn't understand and he refused or said that no one else was there for me to talk to. I was told that my name had been removed from my own account and my son's name was on the account. I have several accounts with this insurance and my Mother does too. Something underhanded is going on with this insurance company and it's time for AIG to be investigated.

Original review: June 20, 2017

I have been corresponding and phoning AIG since my husband passed away in March 2017. He has had this life ins. policy with AIG since early 1970's. They have been playing games with me for close to 3 months. Promises to call back (several times) actually happened only once. The only people you can talk to are underlings who must be reading from a script, cannot give you any information or connect you to someone who can. What they can do is have someone call you back in 24 to 48 hours, which doesn't happen. Last 3 calls I was told check was mailed. Small problem, wrong address. They actually came up with 3 wrong addresses. Still no check. Still no conversation with someone in charge. Stay far away from this company and any of its subsidiaries!

Original review: May 23, 2017

I just submitted my story and have read on to see what others had to say. It strikes me that a lot of crap is going on with this company and a lot of it started in October 2016. So what do we do? How do we get these guys to straighten up and fly right or give us our money back?? One story about was from a person who had their payments automatically withdrawn from their bank account every month. AIG just drew something like 5 times the amount without notifying them. Now I know why I don't like automatic withdrawal! I'm serious! How do we get these "people"? Do we need to organize a class action suit?

Original review: April 9, 2017

Mother passed in Feb, filed paper with death certificate like customer service told me after waiting on paperwork for almost two weeks. Had to call and get them to email mail them to me. After receiving claim number and waited 14 days on processing of policy. They tell me after I call them to check it, that I have to redo paperwork because I had the wrong policy number on claim paper but it was being processed! Resent and got letter from AIG stating that they needed paper filled out that was attached but there was no paperwork attached! A month and half with calls and paperwork! I haven't got anywhere with this company and I am the beneficiary on mothers policy. I don't understand Why?

Original review: April 7, 2017

So I just got off the phone with AIG, just getting a quote. I'm shopping around for a whole life policy for my disabled child. Money I can leave behind to take care of him. While answering the health questions the agent was asking me, I was explaining how I have another policy through the military and one through my employer. The agent was getting frustrated because I wasn't answering the health screening questions fast enough I guess, then all of a sudden I hear him say, "I don't care anyway." I couldn't believe it.

Here I am planning out my autistic sons future... and I have some ** from AIG on the phone getting upset because I'm not being screened fast enough for him... He was hella rude. I hope this recorded call gets reviewed. This company is a Joke! Please shop around before you do business with these guys. I already knew they had a bad rep to begin with, don't know why I even answered the phone.

Original review: April 3, 2017

When there was a death in the family I only had to contact them once. The phone was answered promptly and courteously. They sent me the form with the information they needed and once they received it everything was resolved within 2 weeks. I had no problems or issues with them. When I needed to take out a small loan against my policy again, there were no issues. They are a wonderful company to do business with.

Original review: March 28, 2017

I have been working with AIG to refund my money in a whole life insurance policy. I had the Virginia State Commission investigate about it. They had a hard time getting information from the company to do the investigation. The company did not notified me of any changes to my policy that I have for 20 years. I paid $55.00 a month in and it was a suppose be worth $55,000.00. They use the money to keep their company going for expenses. I did not receive any yearly updates to tell me how the policy was doing until I called about a bill wanting me to pay more money of $337.90 to make the policy current. I have not missed a payment. The customer service representative do not know anything. They give out wrong information. The supervisor are not any better. They tell you the check in the mail. Guess what. Nothing happens. So my advice do not invest in AIG if you don't want to lose you MONEY.

Original review: March 24, 2017

I called for a simple quote on the amount I needed. Was then told "Do you want to try and raise a child on ** amount a year?" I guess because I am a woman I must have a houseful of small children who would be mired in poverty should I not purchase an incredibly high policy. First, shouldn't the agent have asked me first if I had or even plan to have children. Second, I don't like being talked down to because I am not trying to get rich off of the death of my spouse but simply wanted a small policy. I will never call them for a quote or purchase a policy thru AIG after what was only a three-minute phone call. Very disappointing...

Original review: March 23, 2017

This place... like so many complaints before mine. All true. Life insurance policy expired end of Dec. 2016. No problem. Not going to renew. They auto draft without my consent from my bank account in January and February $1804 each month. That's a 1,555% increase. My previous monthly payment for 10 years was $109. What the HECK people!!! I've called, faxed, emailed, you name it. First customer support agent was sympathetic and gave me FAX number stating, "AIG did not have authorization to draft that amount" and to state that in the FAX letter and I would have a refund in 5 business days. JOKE! They will tell you anything. I am now I go into the black hole with no response, Supervisor, "TOM" telling me today, pretty much, “Sorry, we didn't have to contact you about it because we show we mailed you a letter in November telling you to write us back if you didn't agree.” JOKE.

OK. Folks, I take escalated calls all day long and deal with disgruntled people trying to resolve issues. AIG does not care about their customers. They don't care if they have made mistakes. They don't want to communicate or have a respectable business that tells you if you want to renew your policy it's going up 1,555%. NO THEY WANT TO TRAP you into their system and pray you don't have the tenacity to fight them forever to get YOUR money back. Class Action lawsuit? Count me in. These guys need to be stopped. $3608 illegally drawn from my account in 30 days!!! Ya, that was part of my daughter's tuition payment. I have to work 2 months to net that. Someone contact me.

AIG Life Insurance Company Information