AIG Life Insurance
1.95/5

Looking for a life insurance company?

AIG Life Insurance

AIG has insurance policies that protect your financial health, including life, travel and auto insurance. AIG isn't an InsuraMatch partner. Call InsuraMatch to get multiple auto insurance quotes and policy advice in just 10 minutes. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

197 AIG Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I needed to pull out my policy. They told me it would take two months. 2 1/2 months they told me it was sitting on a desk and they forgot about it. I called and called and called trying to push this through going on six months and still have not received my money that was just going to my account. I keep calling but the only answer they will give me is, "We are working on it!!!" I asked to talk to a manager or someone in charge but was told no.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I took out a policy because it was required with the health insurance I was buying. I cancelled both within the five day grace period. This was three months ago. I was told the refund would come in a check. When that didn't arrive in four weeks, I called and was told it would go back to my credit card within ten days. That was six weeks ago. When I called again, I was told they would "expedite" the refund and it would be done in 1-2 days, That was a week ago. The number I was given for the agent to handle the cancellation at the start was not the right number, when they gave me another number for the agent, it went to voicemail with no mailbox set up. I have decided I will never get the refund and hope I never have to deal with this company again.

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

AIG is an insurance scam. While traveling from Italy to Germany my 1 year old fell sick for a day, no alarming reason to go to a hospital or any kind of physician. So we missed our 0900 flight to Sweden, the airline proceeded to cancel all our tickets because of this, including our return flights. I had to (on my birthday) fork up most of the money my family and I saved for this specific trip and buy all new tickets so we could continue our trip and be able to make it home. AIG Insurance sold me FULL coverage flight insurance and has refused to pay. I did everything I was supposed to, I called before the missed flight, I called after, I submitted my claim, I asked for guidance and just always got the same answer, “I’ll annotate there was no physician's note.” Wow. Thanks for your help. AIG is an insurance scam.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I called them in November 2017, Have them start a policy. They dropped the ball. Emailing back and forth by signed the papers, scanned it and they never received it. Scanned it twice and then a third time. Christmas came. Nothing. No policy. Emailing back and forth, calling occasionally. Meanwhile my policy with another company cancelled at age 57. Now I have no insurance. Contact them again and here we are another three and a half weeks later and they still have not activated a policy. Always emailing back and forth. Phone assistance never available. Agent never available. Speaking with customer service is helpful. However, they can't even see the policy once the other agent has locked it in. They are the absolute worst!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I had a heart attack Feb 2018? I told AIG about it, went through all the paperwork, healthcare professionals statement etc. AIG said my heart attack was not big enough! I have canceled my policy and good riddance, to the con artists. People start saving your pennies the old fashion way. You won’t need anyone’s permission for payout, should anything happen to you. Leave it with your family and tell them where to find it. If you save your money yourselves, it still will be better than paying into a black hole, where the insurers profit and leave you and your family, out of pocket. Come on let’s take back control. There will not be a need for solicitors or ombudsmen.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AIG?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Read the fine print. I purchased my air travel through Expedia and they offered travel insurance which I always purchase separately, but this time, I purchased it through Expedia for almost $300 - it was through AIG. Our baggage never made it to Europe and we didn't have baggage for four days. We had to purchase clothes and toiletries amounting for about $139. I filed a claim under baggage delay and they denied it. They said since our bags weren't lost or stolen they denied the claim. I've never heard such crap from any other insurance that I purchased. Horrible company.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I am a 27 year old, hard working person with a full time government job and two parents that tragically passed due to 8- and 13- year battles with cancer. My firefighter husband has worked hard at the CA wildfires which has supplemented our income so that we could afford my parents' residual bills, but his extra income can only go so far. The frustration and mistreatment that we have experienced from AIG is so very sad, and I would never in my life recommend using them for life insurance if you, like my parents, have the intention of financially taking care of your kids upon your passing.

Today is December 3, 2018. I submitted claim paperwork for my father's life insurance policy on October 14, 2018. To ensure efficiency and accuracy, since the death of my parents placed mortgages into my responsibility that I cannot afford, I filled out the claim paperwork with an AIG representative on the phone. They went through the claim paperwork line-by-line with me. "Great customer service," I thought.

It took AIG until October 30th to notify me that the claim paperwork had been filled out incorrectly, even though I completed it with the help of staff. I was able to send in the missing information via email at my urgent request, again, due to looming inherited bills that I simply could not afford. They obliged and on October 30th, I submitted the paperwork to **.

I continued to receive "incomplete claim" letters from AIG, so on November 19 or 20, I called to confirm that the missing information had been received by AIG. Until I provided the date on which the email with the missing information was sent, all AIG staff claimed that it had not been received. Finally a claim examiner confirmed its receipt, and ensured I would receive my check by November 28 - in time for the next round of mortgages.

Since not receiving the check on the 28th, I have spent over three hours on the phone with AIG - most times starting the conversation completely from the beginning because my account notes seem to never get updated by AIG staff. I have been promised return phone calls from claim examiner Caroline **, and an overnighted check from claim examiner Treasure, neither of which delivered on their promises. Staff repeatedly claims that "they cannot transfer me to a supervisor," or "I am the supervisor," or that they cannot give me written proof of our conversations.

My parents did not pay for their life insurance policies so that my sister and I could experience this totally avoidable debt after their passing. My parents did not trust AIG with their policies so that my sister and I could struggle financially for months after their passing. Yet this is the reality we are facing, and AIG has simply given us the runaround.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

AIG would not honor my claim. I was traveling to Wilmington NC and Wrightsville Beach. Hurricane Florence hit the week before my travel. Of course the whole area was essentially shut down. Therefore we had no reason to travel there - nowhere to stay, nothing to do, etc. Because flights were still traveling into and out the airport AIG denied our claim.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I am a father-in-law of a service member who has just been deployed. I had the task of flying to New York to drive home with my daughter so she would not be alone during her husband's deployment. As you can guess with the Army things change so plans have to change. I had the unfortunate task of having to change my flight plans several times to accommodate the Army timetable. I purchased the AIG flight insurance expecting the insurance to protect my investment in the plane ticket. I was very disappointed to be told that my claim was denied. The flight insurance was useless. This is most disturbing news that the company will not support the extend family of our service members.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

After using AIG to insure a short trip to visit an active duty military family member stationed here in the US, I am completely and utterly disappointed in the handling of my claim. Me and my girlfriend went to visit my brother, who is active military, stationed in VA. We were going to fly there, get picked up by my brother and stay at his home there. We also planned on traveling with him and exploring the area with him. A few weeks before our departure date, my brother got called on deployment. After seeing the policy says it covers “traveling companions” who are called to military service I tried to file a claim. After filing the claim and patiently waiting a week to hear back from somebody, nobody called or emailed me. So I call to check on my claim. They said they never got the documents.

Back to square one with the claim. I sent all the documents in again. Unfortunately it took over 3 weeks for them to process my paperwork and to tell me that some of the files were corrupted and to send the documents again. Back to square one, AGAIN. So after sending documents for the third time, and about a month later, they finally email me to deny my claim. Telling me my brother does not count as a “traveling companion” since I did not have any documentation proving he was a “traveling companion”. My girlfriend is a government employee also, way to take care of your military and government employees and families!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Had to cancel my flights due to work related issues, and didn't go through the policy carefully before purchasing the plan. The CANCELLATION PLAN was recommended on Expedia, so I purchased this in case I need to make changes to my original plan. But then I was denied coverage because you have to be LAID OFF from your work to be able constitute a "work-related" reason. EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED, DO NOT RECOMMEND.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I do not have any experience with AIG other than a recent medical screening at home this past weekend but after reading all of these horrible, horrible reviews I think I have to pass. My heart is breaking for all of those that have been getting such a run-a-round for months and months. Reading all of these make me feel really sick to my stomach. Sounds like this company needs to be to looked at very carefully.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

AIG consistently asked for medical information that I had given half a dozen times. Full medical access was granted yet AIG could never get the information needed. Asked me the consumer to get several times and three months into process they were asking more questions than at the beginning concerning my relatively healthy 47 year old wife. They seem to want customers that have never been to see a doctor or have no plans to see one.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

AIG Life Insurance, through its technology, made it very easy and convenient for me to acquire the life insurance that I think I want and always needed. It is a great company, able to dispense quick and instructive responses in the application process for new clients like me.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I paid a little over $100 to insure a short trip to Mexico to attend a friend’s engagement party. I got severe poisoning on a Friday night and was supposed to fly out on Sunday, but still felt far too sick to go on the trip. My claim was completely denied because I didn’t go - on a weekend - to a doctor for food poisoning, which I’ve had more than a few times in my life. This insurance is a complete and total waste of money. The level of documentation and other things that are needed in order to have a claim fulfilled are ridiculous and the insurance DOES NOT pay if something happens to you. Buyer beware.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I purchased a AIG policy for 300,000. My premium payment has been deducted from my bank every month since 10/2012. The policy included a cancer policy rider. I called the company to get some information on the policy. I was told the policy was cancelled Oct 2013. I was never notified and AIG continued to take the payment from my bank account up to this 8/25/2018. AIG customer service rep told me they would call me back they never did. I received a form letter today that clearly is a indication of deception. The letter states the policy was 100,000. It is in fact 300,000 and that the policy had increased payments that were not met. I was never notified of any increased payments. The letter also indicates the policy was cancelled 2013. I was never notified. I am 55 now and out thousands dollars/. I will contact Dept Insurance and my lawyer.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Every month, and I do mean every month, we pay our insurance premium on time and every single month we get a lapse notice from them threatening to terminate our insurance if they do not receive payment by a certain date. Mind you, their notice is received 4 days after payment is due and 2 after their check has ALREADY cleared our bank. Another time, they did terminate our insurance, yet we had paid the bill. As it turns out, they formerly had 4 billing centers and consolidated them into one and failed to tell people who pay their bills online of the new mailing address. It took a lot of screaming and talking to their 4 supervisors to get it straightened out. What a mess.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I will be looking For a lawyer. They cancelled my 30 yr. policy that I was told by my agent whom was retiring at the time due AIG did not to use agents anymore. So I stop making premiums however I applied for reinstatement which was DENIED after catching up $675.00 premium. Denied due to health issues that I have NOW. Policy is 30+ yrs old!! And there were no medical questions asked at that time and they also advertise right now that you can obtain a policy with no medical questions asked. This is BS!!! I NEED A LAWYER!!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

My experience with AIG isn’t a good one. I have been with AIG for many years, but since the closure of offices in Atlanta, I have had the worse experience ever. Customer service rep are rude and very disrespectful. Not to mention that they have no knowledge of what you are explaining to them. Furthermore, myself and my mother have both been paying on a loan for the longest, but the balance hasn’t decreased at all. When we ask AIG where the payments are going, they say they are being applied, but I’m sure my balance should go down, not remain the same. I don’t recommend them to anyone at all.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

My husband and I have canceled everything with AIG due to the headache it has caused us just to get signed up for life insurance. My husband and I were wanting a life insurance plan of $500,000 for both of us. From the beginning we completed everything immediately. I even completed the medical exam part the exact same week upon request and my husband the week after I believe. After that he sent 3 emails to our agent Ryan **, in which we never heard back from nor ever received anything from the company. After a few weeks we got letters in the mail stating that because we have not completed our forms, our insurance request has been cancelled. I was in shock! We never received a thing in the mail, email, or via our agent.

My husband had another party through his employer to try and contact our agent Ryan at that time and his excuse was, "Everything has gone into my junk mail." So clearly he didn't try to follow up with anything and requested our insurance be canceled. After that, Ryan and my husband got together to complete the process and my husband was informed at that time his premium would be 3 times the amount quoted from the beginning. He wanted Ryan to double check on that before proceeding with his so after weeks of waiting yet again, my husband all of a sudden noticed my premium taken out of his account (which was fine as I was all set up now) but AIG also took out 2 previous months of premiums as well!!

Why would 3 months be deducted when this was 100% Ryan's responsibility for not getting us signed up until the past month? Not to mention they increased my premium from the beginning to when it was taken out as I was "older now". My birthday is not until November and it is August right now but because I'm a bit older from when we started, they felt a need to increase. Like I stated from the beginning. AIG has been HORRIBLE to work with and nothing but trouble. We tried going higher up to find out why it's been so difficult with Ryan but he stated that AIG only speaks with their agent directly and not the customer.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Ok so I have been looking to get life insurance and this comes to my email...Thru the VFW great term life prices. I fill out the application and they call, the guy asks me I have a few questions... Ok shoot. "Do you smoke?" No, ok. "Do you drink?" No. Even better... "Ok are you a disabled vet", Yes...ok. What for I explain and gets down to anxiety and depression and PTSD, he says, "Oh so sorry you are not eligible... any veteran with PTSD, Depression, it unable to be accepted for our insurance." WTF.

Who represents the VFW and has that kind of denial clause. I am so mad I could explode right now. Then don't be a part of a Veterans group offering life insurance... or put healthy vets only. I called National VFW and they said there is nothing they can do until Senate passes a bill that PTSD or depression cannot be used to deny veterans of life insurance. Sorry about the rant, but please share as many times as you can to make legislators notice this type of stuff.

Original review: July 23, 2018

We handled a service for a family on May 16, 2018 and had them sign an insurance assignment form as well as all claim forms required that we received from AIG. We faxed back all of the paperwork that was received back to AIG with proper signatures shortly thereafter. Having not heard or received anything from AIG, we followed up with a call the week of July 2 asking why the claim had not been processed and payment had not been sent out. We were informed that we needed to have a HIPAA form to be signed, which was never requested by the agent during our initial contact. After the HIPAA paper was signed by the wife and faxed back to the claims division, we waited again. Then we received a letter on July 20 requesting we send a copy of the insurance policy.

We had a conversation with the agent today and was informed that either a copy of policy had to be sent in because you, the insurance company, had no information on the beneficiary, or we need to have the wife sign a letter stating that there was a lost policy. Again, this was not requested during the first discussion with the agent. We are in the process of getting the wife to sign a letter that the policy has been lost. What I cannot understand is why AIG does not know anything about this policy, but had no problem taking the payment out each month for the premium. I also cannot understand how come it has taken so long and we had to be the one to initiate the conversation why payment on the claim had not been paid out. If there was information that you needed, a phone call should have been made immediately to either our funeral home or to the wife to inform everyone that further information was needed.

We are into the 3rd month and the claim has not yet been processed. This is not fair to the wife, leaving her hanging out like this. We feel that this is very poor service for the family and does not reflect positively on your company. We really would like to see this issue expedited. We have been willing to hold out for the family and I know that the insurance company would not want to be responsible for any late charges that the family is too likely to incur because of AIG's agent's incompetence in handling this claim.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I had an insurance for a flight and I needed to cancel it. I booked it through Expedia with AIG insurance. When I called Expedia, they said they can't cancel it and they suggested I call AIG and see if they can offer something. Mid-July, 2018 I called AIG customer service and a representative answered (I don't remember his name). The representative explained that the cancellation is not covered for the reasons I gave and when I said that, "This insurance policy is useless and I'm never gonna buy another insurance from AIG," he told me (with a sneer) next time I should read the conditions of the insurance, he LAUGHED OUT LOUD at me and he hung up.

I may not be eligible for reimbursement, but since I am a paying customer, I'm eligible to a little courtesy and politeness from the customer service. LAUGHING OUT LOUD at customers is certainly NOT what they paid for. This kind of attitude and behavior is unacceptable - one more reason, to never buy insurance from AIG...

Original review: July 16, 2018

This company is beyond a joke. I'm sure my agent recommended it on for his commission in hindsight. I needed to close out a policy for the money to pay for college. I put the request in May of this year. Was sent a letter the check would be following shortly in a different envelope. Never received it, called them. They nicely said no problem we will stop payment on it and reissue with urgency. Still nothing, now dealing with supervisor Lorraine **. She finds out they never issued a check at all, lied about stopping payment on a non-existent check but promised to help me. Then calls back and tells me I need to fill out papers for her, email them right back and she will take care of it.

Now we are in July mind you for this lousy check. She confirms she got everything and is expediting it. TODAY July 16th, I get a letter in the mail telling me they can't issue the check without the papers filled out that are enclosed which are the same damn papers I sent Lorraine. This is getting me sick and I'm tired of it. Will complain and files complaints anywhere I can. If you hear AIG... RUN the other direction.

Original review: June 30, 2018

What a joke of a company! I travel every year to Europe with my family and always get travel insurance, because I have a Pacemaker and a Defibrillator. This year I got 2 tickets to Europe for $2300.00 for June 2 2018. I got these tickets earlier this year. In May I had heart problems and had to have surgery and could not go. On submitting my claim A.I.G wanted proof so I sent in my complete report (typed) with a CD. I was then informed they needed it in long hand. On going back to my Cardiologist and asking for this I was embarrassed, but he did it. After sending in this form I was informed they don't cover pre-existing conditions and would not pay anything. I'm beyond upset.

Original review: June 28, 2018

Use this company at your own risk! I'm a beneficiary for a life insurance, unable to get payment on a loss check. I have called their support team this year on 5/18, 6/4, 6/15, 6/21, and 6/28 so far. I have been told the money was deposited into my bank, my bank has no knowledge of this deposit. This company just wants me to call back every 2 weeks with no solution. Right now they say they're waiting on my bank to give them a tracing number, funny how can my bank give them a tracing number, when it was their company who deposited the money. I also had one support person tell me my bank needed to return the money (my bank did not receive) so they could reissue it. All you need to do is look at their reviews and you will see I'm not the only with problems with this company.

Original review: June 26, 2018

Targeting ** people. My mother died a few years ago, AIG refused to honor her policy! They are the most horrific Company out there! STAY AWAY from this company. If you don't take heed and realize, the complaints from people are REAL, you deserve to get scammed!

Original review: June 12, 2018

I have been spending about 2 years trying to get my name and beneficiaries changed on my policy. They want like every proof of information possible for the name change (WAY more than social security did) and refuse to change the beneficiary, so it still all goes to my ex... Called them today to try to fix it because I am unable to create an account on-line and change that way, they said they created an account for me and emailed the password, but of course, it hasn't appeared. Customer service people don't speak English and they pretty much refuse to help with what they are asked to do...

Original review: June 4, 2018

I like the very positive features of the policy like money back after every 5 years and at the end, I will get my full policy money back with some extra bonus. But till then, I have some anxiety about future of my policy. My experience is very satisfied so far and I always remain optimistic about the company and am sure that they will fulfill all the promises made to me. However, I am slightly afraid that I may not get all the benefits that has been mentioned in the policy. This is just my internal feeling only and may not be true at all.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I like everything about this company. It is a great company. It has so many different types of options as well as many different policies. My parents bought the policy for me when I was a child and they have always been good to me. My experience has always been awesome.

AIG Life Insurance Company Information

AIG
    1919
    www.aig.com
    Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.