2.66/5
Based on 76 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

AIG Life Insurance

AIG has insurance policies that protect your financial health, including life, travel and auto insurance. AIG isn't an InsuraMatch partner. Call InsuraMatch to get multiple auto insurance quotes and policy advice in just 10 minutes. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

174 AIG Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 16, 2018

This company is beyond a joke. I'm sure my agent recommended it on for his commission in hindsight. I needed to close out a policy for the money to pay for college. I put the request in May of this year. Was sent a letter the check would be following shortly in a different envelope. Never received it, called them. They nicely said no problem we will stop payment on it and reissue with urgency. Still nothing, now dealing with supervisor Lorraine **. She finds out they never issued a check at all, lied about stopping payment on a non-existent check but promised to help me. Then calls back and tells me I need to fill out papers for her, email them right back and she will take care of it.

Now we are in July mind you for this lousy check. She confirms she got everything and is expediting it. TODAY July 16th, I get a letter in the mail telling me they can't issue the check without the papers filled out that are enclosed which are the same damn papers I sent Lorraine. This is getting me sick and I'm tired of it. Will complain and files complaints anywhere I can. If you hear AIG... RUN the other direction.

Original review: June 30, 2018

What a joke of a company! I travel every year to Europe with my family and always get travel insurance, because I have a Pacemaker and a Defibrillator. This year I got 2 tickets to Europe for $2300.00 for June 2 2018. I got these tickets earlier this year. In May I had heart problems and had to have surgery and could not go. On submitting my claim A.I.G wanted proof so I sent in my complete report (typed) with a CD. I was then informed they needed it in long hand. On going back to my Cardiologist and asking for this I was embarrassed, but he did it. After sending in this form I was informed they don't cover pre-existing conditions and would not pay anything. I'm beyond upset.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 28, 2018

Use this company at your own risk! I'm a beneficiary for a life insurance, unable to get payment on a loss check. I have called their support team this year on 5/18, 6/4, 6/15, 6/21, and 6/28 so far. I have been told the money was deposited into my bank, my bank has no knowledge of this deposit. This company just wants me to call back every 2 weeks with no solution. Right now they say they're waiting on my bank to give them a tracing number, funny how can my bank give them a tracing number, when it was their company who deposited the money. I also had one support person tell me my bank needed to return the money (my bank did not receive) so they could reissue it. All you need to do is look at their reviews and you will see I'm not the only with problems with this company.

Original review: June 26, 2018

Targeting ** people. My mother died a few years ago, AIG refused to honor her policy! They are the most horrific Company out there! STAY AWAY from this company. If you don't take heed and realize, the complaints from people are REAL, you deserve to get scammed!

Original review: June 12, 2018

I have been spending about 2 years trying to get my name and beneficiaries changed on my policy. They want like every proof of information possible for the name change (WAY more than social security did) and refuse to change the beneficiary, so it still all goes to my ex... Called them today to try to fix it because I am unable to create an account on-line and change that way, they said they created an account for me and emailed the password, but of course, it hasn't appeared. Customer service people don't speak English and they pretty much refuse to help with what they are asked to do...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AIG?

Original review: June 4, 2018

I like the very positive features of the policy like money back after every 5 years and at the end, I will get my full policy money back with some extra bonus. But till then, I have some anxiety about future of my policy. My experience is very satisfied so far and I always remain optimistic about the company and am sure that they will fulfill all the promises made to me. However, I am slightly afraid that I may not get all the benefits that has been mentioned in the policy. This is just my internal feeling only and may not be true at all.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I like everything about this company. It is a great company. It has so many different types of options as well as many different policies. My parents bought the policy for me when I was a child and they have always been good to me. My experience has always been awesome.

Original review: May 31, 2018

It has great rates for the coverage provided, also it has low deductibles. And whenever I spoke with the reps, they were quick, courteous and professional. I can cover myself without breaking the bank, and that really speaks to me. I never had to use the coverage, but I would have been fully covered if so! However, I dislike that I have to do everything over the phone and CPU, I would love to go in and hammer everything out at once. Being in the mountains I have grown accustom to not having branches or physical locations here though. Overall, great experience.

Original review: May 30, 2018

They are well known and they are someone to trust. They are experts in the life insurance and I really appreciate the company. I feel adequately covered and I have all the confidence in the world for them.

Original review: May 23, 2018

My dad died and had a small life insurance policy of 1000.00. We went in everything required and they acknowledged they had it. When nothing came of it as called. We talked to 4 different people through the months and received four different answers. The last one said they didn't have anything on my father. Yet each letter we have received have the same claim number. Shame on AIG! I am reporting this company.

Original review: May 22, 2018

AIG can not accommodate my date of birth 02/29 (leap year) in their System. I find it ridiculous and suspicious that a company of that caliber does not have that capability. Every institution that I have dealt with do not have this easy to fix issue. Upon my complain and stating it’s unacceptable, they have now taken my date of birth completely out of my policy... at least I don’t see it when I log in to check my policy. I have paid into this policy for over 11 yrs and I am afraid if a claim is to be made somewhere along the line there will be an issue. It's unacceptable and I feel betrayed. I was not made aware of this when I sign up for this policy 11 yrs ago.

I demand their system updated to fix this fundamental issue or will have to take legal action. Not that I want to die but if I do my dependent should not suffer in making a claim. Their customer service is not able to give me reasonable answer. I need someone call me ASAP to tell me why their system is obsolete for that matter. I am an IT personal and it does not make sense to me to have a system of that deficiency. How did AIG manage during Y2K era?

Original review: May 18, 2018

AIG provides insurance for airline flights, supposedly to assist if you require a flight change, among other coverage. My sister had to change her flight due to a personal matter involving my 90 year old mother. They have been completely uncooperative. AIG needed "proof" mom was ill. We sent her proof that she required constant care and has dementia. As one might guess, she has a host of other medical issues as well. If ever there were a claim AIG needs to cover it is this one, but unfortunately they are more interested in making us jump through 1000 hoops and will not provide any assurance that after we have completed all this work, that we will be refunded. Why by airline insurance, the airline washes their hands of the whole and says call the insurance company. The insurance company says, "we see you always buy our insurance when you fly, but we don't believe we need to cover it"

In order to get coverage you have to prove that someone is ill. The company is aware of my mom's dementia, diagnosed 10 years ago, and it really hasn't gotten better. Mostly because no one recovers from dementia. I am livid that in the midst of this family crisis we are having, our insurance, which we gladly paid for, is giving us the runaround, and seems disinterested in helping. The lack of compassion, the lack of cooperation, the lack of doing your JOB - you are an insurance company and you don't want to reimburse claims.

Original review: May 16, 2018

This company has no intention of honoring the agreement it made with you. I have been paying my premium for years, only to be blindsided by it's denial of my claim when it came time to use the policy for an accident I incurred. I am so confident that I have a valid claim against my policy, that I will have to go through the trouble of filing a complaint with the Texas Department of Insurance and the Texas State Attorney General to determine if they can be of help. One star is too generous a rating for AIG, and I would be leary of taking out a reverse mortgage or applying for any other insurance underwritten by AIG.

Original review: May 2, 2018

AIG offers me the coverage I want for the price I want and they are super duper helpful. I can't argue with what they are offering me and I think that it is truly outstanding. I love my company currently and it has been a very great experience. I haven't run into any problems with them or with the account routine calls. The repayments each month are low enough to where I don't really pay attention to it.

Original review: May 1, 2018

AIG is able to provide unique and quality products to meet my needs and wants. It is conveniently located and has programs that are easy to understand and it catches my eye. Have high quality care products, they are introduce new products to fit my needs and are innovative. They are good with their customers and they are well organized and easy to understand the products they offer. Always have someone available to explain.

Original review: April 29, 2018

AIG Life Insurance is recommended by our financial advisor and we know others who have the same policy. We have had policies with AIG for several years and we are confident in the management of the company. I had some policies with AARP but have discontinued them due to their political pandering. I do not trust AARP anymore and question whether they are really looking out for the interests of Seniors. Their medical and investment goals are not looking out for my interests.

With AIG we are notified about the companies goals and views on a regular basis, both online and in mailouts. The company has a good track record and the results are not volatile. I feel that AIG is well managed. I also have investments with this company and the investments have grown and I feel that they are safe investments.

Original review: April 28, 2018

They came highly recommended to us from co-workers as well as our financial planner. We have been very well taken care of by them over the whole time with them as our carrier for insurance. Our life insurance with AIG is a term life plan that meets our needs for this time in our life when we need protection. They have great plans and customer care Dept is very responsive to our inquiries when this need arises. The term life plan has all the best features to best meet our needs for now and until it expires at age 72 for us. They have an excellent reputation for all of their products and are highly rated by the Better Business Bureau. I am highly satisfied with them so far with our policies.

Original review: April 27, 2018

This company has been the worst company to deal with customer service at there is for policies on an account and my mother passed away and trying to get these accounts separated to the proper people that she was paying for. Has been a horrible horrible horrible experience with your customer service. I'm not trying to get any information. I'm trying to give information so that we can continue with these policies and they are just, "Duh nothing I can do for you. I can't help you out early." Ridiculous. I would never recommend this company for anything if my mother had already had these policies in effect. I would cancel them right now so that this company would never get another cent of my money. I can't believe she continued on paying you guys. You are the worst people I have ever dealt with.

Original review: April 27, 2018

AIG is a good company that knows how to treat its customers like family and makes life a little easier for me. Their prices are decently done so that it's easy for me to figure out what I need to do to make sure everything's set if anything happens to me. the company is pretty awesome at making me understand what they are actually doing with the money I send every month. But there should be some cheaper options with amazing coverage so that people aren't screwed if they can't afford the cheapest option. They also need more representatives in Ohio.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I have been satisfied with the overall coverage of AIG Life Insurance. I know them as a leader in the industry and they've given me no reason to think otherwise. I went with them because of their net promoter score and I would always provide positive feedback on my experience. I like knowing that my family and loved ones will be taken care of. AIG is very transparent about the coverage and I know what to expect with them. My customer experience has always been a pleasant one as well. But I feel there could be more options. I like using insurance companies that offer a certain level of flexibility. It is also slightly more expensive than some of their competitors.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I had a heart attack this year February (2018). I put in a claim with AIG. They refused it on the grounds that my troponin (proteins released in blood for heart attacks/cardiac arrest) were not high enough. In other words my heart attack needed to be a big one. As a qualified nurse when a patient comes in as a medical emergency, the Dr will treat as he/she sees fit. It’s almost as if AIG are saying, either the patient should, tell the Dr to wait until troponin levels have risen enough before treatment or they need to advise Dr they could be voiding clients policies. I did not see in the policy where it said to advise the Dr of this clause. It may be seen as it being ethical as Doctors take an oath to do no harm, in which case the policy itself is not fit for purpose. Not a company to be recommended. Hazardous to health and finances.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I like that the insurance monthly rate is low compared to others and they have competitive ranges that vary to fit my lifestyle and price range. It was very easy for me to recently add on children, hassle-free. I like this company very much and it has good customer service. I have a good relationship and have insurance with them for over 10 years now and have never encountered any issues.

Original review: April 24, 2018

My step mom's husband died in Feb, 2018. We have found policies and have requested policy information. She got a letter from AIG for one of several policies with the policy information on it, yet AIG claims they have no such policy. We have been calling for weeks, only to be transferred around to department after department. Then they say it's a special policy being handled by the Dallas, Texas location! It must be a script because we always end up calling the Dallas location. The kicker is that several amounts are being taken out monthly for these policies. This should be against the law to do. They can't find any policies, yet the money is being automatically taken month after month! But, if there is no policy, how did we get this letter dated April 12, 2018???

Original review: April 24, 2018

I like the amount I am paying for a high quality life insurance. The fees are very good and reasonable. Their many features I find helpful in knowing more about their policy. I have always found everything I needed to find in the policy and if I can't find it their website helps me answer my questions. I love this company. It is one of the leaders in life insurance and they have always been able to assist me should I have any questions or concerns about my policy. I am pretty much happy with what I have.

Original review: April 21, 2018

My family was with AIG Life Insurance. I got it when I had my first job out of high school. I've been with them ever since, going on ten years. My life insurance give me tons of reassurance for me without sky high policies. It puts me at ease and gives me a peace of mind. It would make anyone feel better knowing their loved ones will be taken care of, in case of the unexpected. I wish it was easier to get loans or take money out in the case of an emergency. I would consider other options if I got a better price. Other than that, I like it overall.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I like that they offer numerous types of plans such as life insurance, supplement insurance, employee benefits and I can buy policies for my private needs as well as my business needs. They offer all that I need and at a great price. Plus, it was easy to do. On the other hand, I would suggest that they offer policies for children or maybe accidental insurance. Other than that, the customer service was outstanding and they answered all my question. They took the time to explain everything and was very caring.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I choose AIG Life Insurance for many reasons. I like their insurance policies that provide the best for people, the flexible payment options that allow you to pay when you are in a bind and the overall attention to how it affects the people under it. I also like the various plans they offer and the quality of service is great. Many times before I failed to find the right insurance for me but this one provides all the coverage I am looking for. I like their wide insurance coverage as it allows for me to know that I have all the precautions for daily life. But I don't like that the support is a bit non-fluid at times.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I called AIG and they had the best rates of the places I called. It was easy to get things together and they had many different options you can pick from. I liked the options they offered the best. It was also easy to sign up and get everything filled out. But I had to fill out a lot of paperwork and some of that was a bit confusing so I was worried I would have filled something out wrong.

Original review: April 15, 2018

After purchasing my policy, I realized their customer service was horrible. When I contacted AIG by phone, the representatives could not assist me. I wrote AIG only to receive a letter back telling me they can not assist me and told me to contact a rep and gave me the exact same number. I already have and I had been calling for weeks only to receive zero assistance. Finally, my persistence paid off and my issue was resolved. I would not recommend this company for life insurance.

Original review: April 11, 2018

My husband passed on Feb 7th, his father had a small $1K insurance policy on him, but has passed away himself. The funeral home contacted the company who said the policy was not enforce. My BIL contacted the company and they said yes it was enforce and would send me the paperwork. 1st they wanted a death certificate for my husband and a notarized statement they had sent for me to complete, BUT I couldn’t send it until 30 days after he passed, so I waited and sent it out on March 12th, then I contacted them when I received a request for proof of death AGAIN.

They said that they had received the paperwork and that that letter and what I had sent in passed in the mail, but I needed to send a death certificate or the official obituary notice on my father in law before they could process the claim. So, I sent them that, then on 3/24/2018 I got another letter saying that I needed to complete a proof of death to be filled out by the funeral home director, coroner or attending physician, (so I guess a original copy of his death certificate wasn’t adequate even though it had the state seal on it, the attending physician's signature and cause of death) they now need that done again on THEIR form and now they need a HIPAA form filled out.

This should have been contained in the first batch of paperwork that I received 2 months ago!! I called and asked each step of the way what was required and they have either deliberately withheld the info and are attempting to delay as long as they can to not pay or they are totally incompetent!! Either way it doesn’t speak highly of their level of integrity. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE CLOWNS!!!

AIG Life Insurance Company Information