AIG Life Insurance

Compare Life Insurance

Research top Life Insurance recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

ANNETTA of Wheeling, IL on

Everything said by others is true. In fact they are being kind. This is a elder abuse. We pay all our lives my case 1984 only to find out that now I am 64 my premiums are going to quadruple and they say too bad so sad. No wonder Hank Greenberg is gone and he took all the money we paid them with him. We need a MURPHY'S act in ILLINOIS and attorneys who can fight it. I think this is a class action suit if I ever heard of one BAIT AND SWITCH.

Madelene of Fountain Valley, CA on

We need to change the bank where the monthly premium was withdrawn automatically due to identity theft. It took us over 3 months and still not resolved yet. We submitted the required form. However, when reviewing our bank account and seeing the premium not taken out, make a call and to learn that they need another form due to the account under a trust. The worst thing is they do not call us back to let us know if they need additional form or information. It is our job to monitor our bank account and call them to follow up. This is a poorly ran and highly bureaucratic company. We also have policies with Prudential and TransAmerica and they took care of the issue seamlessly on the first call. AIG Management Team needs to look into your operations and change to be more efficient.

Vineet of Dublin, CA on

I too was paying like a good customer for 10 yrs and all of a sudden 15 times higher withdrawal in Jan. I called and was told the same thing - I had spoken to a representative in a November, but she directed me to another agent and despite me telling her I am not interested she did not cancel the policy. I have sent in my fax as well so please let me know what you find out Patty.

I am willing to join in the better business bureau complaint. I think these guys are running a scam. If they change the terms (15 times higher premium) how can they expect automatic renewal or no cancellation - should customers have a say on renewal and silence or denial on phone or misdirected letter should not mean they automatically withdraw! I am going to remove all companies from auto withdrawal - I was being a good citizen but looks like they have all the power in such cases. I am willing to file a lawsuit if this does not get resolved. Please let me know your progress Patty.

Gabriela of Grapevine, TX on

Null, keep your money, invest it in a personal bank account. A pity I didn't search to see early on that this insurance firm has so many dissatisfied customers; I believe all the one stars and am in disbelief at the high stars here based on what I've been going through for the past 2 months. A 0-star fits best. I have been paying for AIG accident and critical illness insurances for a long time -- WASTED MONEY (3000+). My reason for choosing this insurance is that I opt for alternative medicine, not traditional medicine -- as such, I seek homeopathy, home remedy, chiropractic help, diets, etc -- a big expense nonetheless! -- instead of X-rays, doctor visits, medication, etc etc, if it is possible to heal via alternative medicine. AIG promised a lump sum per accident seriousness: as decided by their assessors based on my medical report and independent of any additional insurance I receive.

On Nov. 7, 2016 I actually had a small accident - a sprained ankle. I refused X-rays, medication and have healed with aqua therapy, home rest, sports therapy, unguents, diet (vitamins/minerals), etc. The doctor cost me $180, no more, it would have cost $1000+ if I had pursued the doctor's suggestion... AIG is saying now that they MIGHT compensate me the amount that is not being covered by my primary provider (like $70) because this is "supplemental insurance". THEIR POSITION AFTER THE FACT IS CONTRARY TO THEIR INITIAL PROMISE of taking into account the event's seriousness to compensate by a lump sum from $25000 and irrespective of my medical insurance or any other insurances. SUCH UNPROFESSIONAL LIES!

Their customer service is fully unsatisfactory, too: automatic system rejects me because my date of birth is not matching and nobody has yet fixed that issue; the foreign staff is not trained nor efficient (their servility is simply useless...); time wait and time waste... I have cancelled both AIG insurances, belatedly, am only bitterly-glad that I learned about it via a minor accident not a big one.

Patty of Elizabethton, TN on

I had American General Life insurance (AIG) for 10 years. Had automatic withdraws set up. Like clockwork every month the payment was taken from my checking account. Then all of a sudden a withdraw of 6 times my normal payment was withdrawn! ($85 to $517). That hurts any normal person on a fixed income. I called and was told that a letter went out stating there would be an increase in my premium. I explained I did not receive any such letter and ask where it was addressed to. It was sent to my previous address of over 7 years ago which is a vacant house with no mail service. I stated that AIG should have received their mail back undeliverable. The person on the phone said she did not have that information and took my current address to update their records. I ask how do I get my money back and instructed her to cancel this policy. She said I would need to do that in writing and gave me AIG's fax number.

I sent my requests by fax and I have called 2 more times, each time the person on the phone can't tell me what is going on just that they have received my fax (3 of them to be exact). The last phone call I was told that a management team would have to make a decision. When I ask, don't know the reply. I have since contacted Better Business Bureau and awaiting a reply.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AIG?

Roxanne of Detroit, MI on

I became disabled through my as of 4/6/2016. AIG was the short/long term insurance carrier thru my job. I was having Open Heart Surgery 4/14/2016 so my initial claim for 12 weeks short term was approved and the checks came regularly thru 7/5/2016. After that the experience became horrible!! My doctor still had me off because I had to do 12 weeks of cardiac rehab and I was still very weak due to my weak heart and also due to my incision I was having problems moving my right arm and my right side.

Even though I was already on std they said they had to do another review to determine my long term disability. They stopped my checks in July and I had 0.00 income coming in to pay my rent, lights, or my co-pays for the many prescriptions I was on. I am single with no kids. Both parents are deceased so I had very little help. I could not drive and was under TREMENDOUS STRESS while trying to get better. They took over 90 days to make a decision to DENY my ltd.

My Doctor personally called to explain why I was still disabled and they acted like his word meant ABSOLUTELY NOTHING and he is a prominent heart surgeon with many years of experience. They based their decision on the results of my cardiac rehabilitation which showed them that I was tolerating the exercise which consisted of doing things at a very slow pace and also I could barely work the exercise machines so they kept me on the same ones. They did not push you to do more than you were physically able to do.

This stupid company took the notes from rehab techs and not my cardiologist who is a medical doctor. I was receiving eviction notices, had no money for food and suffered severe depression and anxiety and these heartless animals at AIG did not give a damn! Thank GOD I got help from social services and the manager of my apartment complex had compassion about my situation. I told my doctors that I just was not feeling any better, even after the surgery. I felt weaker! I am still not back to work...

I was readmitted to the hospital on Nov 5th for atrial fibrillation and they had to shock my heart back into normal sinus rhythm. On Nov 17th I was told by my cardiologist that my heart has gotten weaker since my surgery and I am now in danger of "Sudden Death Syndrome" and I need a defibrillator/pacemaker implanted and connected to my heart so if my heart slows down to a dangerous level it will shock my heart back to normal (hopefully).

I also have been approved and deem disabled by the US Government Social Security Disability agency. But AIG told me I was ok to go back to work!! This company is INCOMPETENT, UNPROFESSIONAL, NON-COMPASSIONATE AND GREEDY! They are more concerned about keeping your money than paying you when you need it the most. If you have any type of policy with this company... I would suggest you cut your losses now and find another company because when you are in need... The vultures at AIG will not give a damn!!! I am telling everyone I know and using every means necessary to tell the world. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH AIG!!! Sincerely Ms. Totally Dissatisfied.

Jill of Hamikton, NJ on

As the other reviewers mentioned, I was a loyal paying customer for years and when a payment lapsed I was put through a 4 month wait to hear back from their underwriters. They ask for items to be faxed. 20 years ago that might have been quick but this is 2016. I was even told that a form had to be emailed to me and that would take 24 hours. What email takes 24 hours to go through? Then I was told I would only hear from them by mail, regular snail paced mail! The customer service is from Manila. When you speak there is a delay on the call. I could go on and on. I can't imagine how bad it will be the day I might need to make a claim.

joseph of Holtsville, NY on

AIG is the best, I love this company. Customer service very nice, helpful. Well sometimes it might take you a few minutes get thru them, that 's normal. In life you got to be patient... My mother died. I call them to make a claim. They treat very nice with respect. In little 3 weeks I received my check... Thanks AIG to stand with me. GOD BLESS AIG, I love you guys.

Cindy of Corning, AR on

We have had AM Gen, now AIG, insurance since 1987 and have a policy we have paid since then. AIG has since said we have to cancel our policy and now they just sent us a cancellation. This is not right. We have not missed a payment or anything. We took this policy in good faith as a young couple and now nearly 30 years later they say "oh we can't afford to cover you at the rate this policy was written for!" That's illegal isn't it! I am sitting here for over 30 minutes waiting to get hold of a real person on the phone from AIG!

judith of Knoxville, TN on

My mother passed away in April. I have sent AIG all of the information they requested and they still want more. This is the worst customer service I have experienced.

Robert of Coral Springs, FL on

I paid for 11 years always on time. One month, they did not bill me. I noticed a few weeks later and sent in my payment along with my next quarterly payment. They sent it back. They claimed they sent me a lapse notice, which I never got, and they said they had billed me, which they did not. I am going to double check with my bank to see if I was on auto payment or not, but I paid religiously for 11 years and they did not even have the courtesy to see if I was dead or alive. They gave me forms to fill out to get reinstated and after months, they denied me and told me to reapply. My rate was not low, so they just wanted to lose me for some reason. I am pissed and I hope I can sue them. This company should never have been bailed out with my tax money. They truly SUCK and my guess, most insurance companies cannot be trusted, just as the banks. They do wrong things and they get slapped on the wrist. Many belong in jail!

Lisa of Holtsville, NY on

My husband passed away this past March. Prior to his passing he had become disabled and had applied for the disability rider on his life insurance policy. He had submitted the required paperwork but they requested additional information. He continued to be unsuccessful in obtaining the benefit and became frustrated with the process and so had given up. Since his passing I have been trying to gain information on behalf of my children and reopen the case as had been stated in a letter to him. I also at the time of his death had been advised that the information needed could be resubmitted.

I have called several times asking for assistance in what information is still needed and been told that the matter is being escalated and referred to senior management and that I should expect a callback. This has not happened and the last rep I called gave me conflicting information and would not let me speak to a manager. He was unsympathetic and completely unhelpful. This is who they let represent their company? I will be filing a complaint with DFS and canceling my own policy with this company as I am not confident that at the time of my passing my children can depend on a benefit to be paid to them. I'll take my chance elsewhere.

markie of Anywhere, MA on

I signed up for a 30 year lock on my life insurance in 2003. I set up auto bill pay from same account for 13 years with no issue. This year they say they never received payment even though my bank said it was mailed and proved it. They sent an e-mail 2 months later and never called. They cancelled my insurance, forced me to fill out all sorts of forms, made it painful and lengthy but I did it. Then they just sent me back my money back saying they denied my application. This was a ply all along to get out of a long term contract. I called 5 times and the shortest I waited was 24 minutes and hung up. Typical big company screwing the little guy any chance they can.

Amanda of Grand Prairie, TX on

My step-mother passed away in May 2016. Paperwork was filed before end of May. We received something back stating we needed another document... filled it out and sent it back the next day. Here it is end of August, and STILL nothing. My dad called them for status. The person he spoke with said everything appears to have been processed and isn't sure what the hold up was, said he would push it on through. Now my dad got a call stating another document needs to be done and it's being sent through the mail. WHY in the world would they not have looked through everything and done it all at the same time, instead of doing it piece meal? WHY put people through this? Isn't the death of a loved one hard enough on them, then to have to go through this just to get their death benefits? It's WRONG! Something needs to be done to correct the process and make it easier on the loved ones.

Dodie of Jane Lew, WV on

My father passed away March 30, 2016. I got all of the paperwork together and mailed the claim form in mid-April. It was the middle of July before they paid and every time I called, it was a 20-25 minute wait to speak with someone, and they each gave me a different excuse. I think the only reason they paid when they did is because I threatened to contact the insurance commissioner's office. I am now waiting for them to mail my mother her cash surrender value of her policy because AIG's customer service is the absolute worst I have ever experienced, I never want to deal with them again. When I called to verify they had all of the documents needed to cash out the policy, I was told that they did not receive the documents to process the payout, just the termination notice. THEY LIE. It was all sent together and when I told him that, he said my mother would receive her check in 10 days. This company is pure SCUM, at its finest.

Rhonda of Smith Center, KS on

After reviewing a life insurance policy, we decided not to keep it. Returned the policy and cancelled in writing per AIG cancellation guidelines. When I called 13 days later to confirm receipt of cancellation notice, I was told refund would be processed within 5 days, and I would receive a check in the mail. 35 days later, a supervisor apologized for the excessive delay, said the problem would be resolved quickly, and I would receive the refund back on my credit card. 8 days later, I was told it would be 73 days (from the previous week) to refund the premium via check. I have decided that I must call every week to confirm the status of the refund until I receive it. I am done being polite and patient.

Jane of Summersville, WV on

My daughter is in Japan and has an ear problem while she happens to be out of the country. We made what we thought was the full payment over a month before the trip but somehow there was additional charge of about $7.00 that we didn't realize that we had to make bc we had to adjust the dates of the trip. Now her AIG plan, which was expensive, has now defaulted to a secondary insurance bc we were unaware of the additional $7.00 we had to pay. Now she has to suffer until Aug. 10th. I am pretty sure the Japanese won't take the basic insurance that she has in the states. So ** AIG. Zero stars for you. Now she has to suffer. Policy plan **.

Shannon of Greensboro, NC on

I am aware that customer can be wrong and they are not always right, however as a customer today with over 20 years of experience in the field I was appalled at the type of customer service AIG allowed a customer to respond to an angry client (me). Today a customer service rep. (what I now know was from the Europe call center company) would take the time out to leave a message telling me that I was rude. I do not believe it was right for this person to return a call to a client for anything other than to speak about their account/policy. This person used personal information for their own needs.

If I could find an insurance company with the same benefits that you supply or better yet when I do find another company I will be leaving your company. I do not know if this customer service rep. used your telephone line or their personal phone due to the number came into my phone as restricted. Should you find this person I hope that he/she is reprimanded accordingly.

I am very disappointed and if a rude client gets the best of your CSR to prompt them to call back a customer to tell them they were rude, then they do not have the thick skin of a customer service rep and is in the wrong profession. For the record I was rude - it annoys me to speak to a person that do not understand me and blames it on a bad connection. If a person did not hear you they would not reply with an answer (wrong answer that is). I am disgusted at this customer service. I cant wait to leave your company.

Mary Ann of Pleasantville, NY on

I have had a 10-year term life insurance policy that I paid $652.05 annually. The 10 years is up and they raised the premium to $2573.76. I waited for 25 minutes to speak to a person and then I asked to speak to a supervisor. She said she would put me on hold for a few minutes while she got a supervisor for me. I waited 45 minutes and no one picked up. That is disgraceful! I am now getting quotes from other companies, which have way lower premiums and I do not need a medical exam for any of those companies. I have never had a company treat a 10-year customer, who always paid on time, so disrespectfully. You will not be getting any recommendations from me.

Barb of Amarillo, TX on

I like my policy. I do not like the 45 minute plus wait on the phone. When I have paid online, they told me that I owed the money because it did not go through. I am not liking the long waits whenever I call. It does not make a difference what time a day I call. I just want to pay my premium.

N of Little Elm, TX on

Shopping for insurance, filled out a form online just for a free quote. Customer service rep called. She was very pleasant. She asked several questions and then transferred me to a totally non-professional male. I told him I had received several quotes and I'm going to compare and make my final decision. He asked me how did I get quotes without seeing a nurse, and what was my hubby's income which I gave him the information and told him. I just want a quote based on the info needed. I totally understood that the quote could changed based on the final review. This clown became aggressive over the phone to the point that my husband heard him through phone and advise me to hang up and not to deal with this company ever. So I am a witness to the negative reviews. Yes they are true and it only takes one bad apple to spoil the entire company.

Amy of Snohomish, WA on

Spoke with a rep over two weeks ago who set me up with an appointment today for a nurse. Nurse was supposed to show at 10:30 today. No contact was made and the nurse was a no show. I fasted for 3 hours. Mind you I am pregnant. The company did not answer the phone numbers provided. I will not work with this company. Very upset.

Peter of Los Angeles, CA on

On hold for over a half-hour both times I've called. Call center overseas somewhere. Reps are nice enough but hard to understand, partly because of the connection.

Floyd of Henryetta, OK on

When I started work for a large county in Oklahoma as a database administrator, part of my compensation package was short-term disability through AIG. Also offered was a "buy-up option to long-term disability, or "LTD". I opted for this coverage, even though I never expected that I would ever need it. Two years into my employment, I suffered a devastating stroke that was nearly fatal and left me with major paralysis on my left side. Even though AIG promised benefits up to 2/3's of my yearly salary, because I now draw Social Security benefits, they deducted the amount of my SS benefits. I have never received more than around $700/month from them. Also, in order for my benefits to continue, they demand that I provide them with a voluminous document proving my disability on an annual basis.

Owing to my paralysis, I am barely able to write, and then with only my right, non-dominant hand. Due to this, I was unable to provide them with the documentation they demanded by their deadline, and my benefits were suspended until I complied with their demand. After sending them their documentation, my benefits resumed, however, I only received one check before they suspended them again, this time because they are now demanding an "injury/illness status report" from my doctor, which they sent to the wrong recipient two times.

Now, I have supplied them with the correct number to fax their demand to, and called back to insure that it was sent. The only people I can get on the line are call-center flunkies who know nothing and care less, and when I demand to speak with my "case manager" can only get voicemail. This company cares nothing about their responsibilities or the people they're supposed to be serving. It is obvious to me that their main goal is to get out of paying rightly owed benefits by any means at their disposal. If this issue is not resolved immediately I will have no option other than to contact an attorney. Please, do not do business with this company unless you enjoy foot-dragging, stalling, unreturned phone calls and headache after headache. These people are crooks.

Stacy of Wichtia, KS on

Never let AIG Insurance take auto bank withdrawals from your bank account. In June of 2013 we had decided to let my husband's 10-yr term policy lapse because rates were much lower and we could get a better rate by shopping a new policy. We didn't realized AIG had not cancelled our policy as requested and we had already purchased a new policy. They claimed our agent had apparently retired and was supposed to contact us personally when a policy is about to lapse or renew. AIG claims to have sent a letter stating this increase would occur though we NEVER received a letter.

For 8 months they withdrew $557.96/mo for a policy that we originally paid about $50/mo. This was an egregious increase and because we signed an agreement allowing them to withdraw automatic payments from our account they claim they were justified in doing so. I had sent a letter and made numerous phone calls without any resolution. They switched compliance analyst on us and I tried to contact him for four months leaving messages every month with no returned calls. He claims he had been calling the wrong number and also had an address for us in another state that we had never heard of. All of this is convenient to AIG because it allows them to steal from their customers without any accountability for having inaccurate information. It's no wonder we never received a notice of the increase if they had our address completely wrong as well as our phone number.

Christine of Saint Louis, MO on

When we bought our $50,000 life insurance for $35.00/month in 1991 from American General Life now called AIG, we didn't realize that in 2005 our rates would start to skyrocket. Every year on husband's birthday in Sept. and again in January, the rate increased to the point that in 2013 we would have to spend over $250.00 per month to keep this $50,000 policy. So we canceled the policy. My husband was born in 1948. Talking to others age 60 or so we heard the same complaint. They take our money each month but when you might need the insurance because of age, they stick it to you. The St Louis branch was very condescending to us when we questioned the increase 2 times a year. They don't care. I would NEVER want anyone else to go through what we did.

Tony of Conyers, GA on

Do not do business with this company. In 2010 I took out accidental life for me and the wife which I cancelled soon after. Well I check the statement online one day and I realize they have been deducting premiums for 4 the years. I check my policy online and they show have been cancelled back in 2010. After chewing them out and demanding my money back and letting them know to stop taking premiums I looked at my bank statement and they are still taking out premiums. I had to close my checking account because of them. This company is no good.

B of Saint Louis, MO on

AIG provides reasonable rates for good coverage. I have had no issues, but I haven't tried to make a claim. I bought term coverage because whole life was too expensive.

tom of Niles, IL on

I took out a life insurance policy and stated it must be a fixed premium and death benefit. Agents I dealt with were Wendy ** and Dana **. I had doubts when policy was issued about the fixed premium but they kept assuring me that was what I had. I paid policy one year advance upfront $5700. Months later after continual questioning of Dana and Wendy plus company compliance department I found out I was lied to and was a victim of bait and switch. The illustration of the policy was totally different than the policy. Only the policy matters. The illustration doesn't count. Wendy and Dana were quoting from illustration. Jeff ** and his supervisor have done nothing to remedy the matter. I have made dozens of phone calls and none of them returned.

I am now out $5700 and have a policy that's worthless. I will contact the Illinois attorney general's office and the Illinois dept of insurance. This is a clear case of Bait and Switch and just plain theft and fraud. There also was a lady in the consumers dept who also blew me off. Her name was Adriene **. She sent me a letter confirming I did in fact get a bad policy but she just kicked the can down the road back to Jeff ** who has done nothing nor will he answer my phone messages. Take my advice. Do not deal with this company. You will get burned. If they do send you a policy. Read it closely. If you have any questions; cancel it, don't ask the agent or the company anything. They will lie!

ds of Chicago, IL on

AIG seems to think they do not have to regulate 3rd party advertisers. They refuse to cease and desist with daily email harassment for products and services. They have already been informed they are one of the last insurances companies I would ever deal with, yet they continue their harassment. They must be totally desperate.

AIG Life Insurance Company Profile