2.47/5
Based on 81 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

AIG Life Insurance

AIG has insurance policies that protect your financial health, including life, travel and auto insurance. AIG isn't an InsuraMatch partner. Call InsuraMatch to get multiple auto insurance quotes and policy advice in just 10 minutes. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

180 AIG Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I will be looking For a lawyer. They cancelled my 30 yr. policy that I was told by my agent whom was retiring at the time due AIG did not to use agents anymore. So I stop making premiums however I applied for reinstatement which was DENIED after catching up $675.00 premium. Denied due to health issues that I have NOW. Policy is 30+ yrs old!! And there were no medical questions asked at that time and they also advertise right now that you can obtain a policy with no medical questions asked. This is BS!!! I NEED A LAWYER!!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

My experience with AIG isn’t a good one. I have been with AIG for many years, but since the closure of offices in Atlanta, I have had the worse experience ever. Customer service rep are rude and very disrespectful. Not to mention that they have no knowledge of what you are explaining to them. Furthermore, myself and my mother have both been paying on a loan for the longest, but the balance hasn’t decreased at all. When we ask AIG where the payments are going, they say they are being applied, but I’m sure my balance should go down, not remain the same. I don’t recommend them to anyone at all.

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

My husband and I have canceled everything with AIG due to the headache it has caused us just to get signed up for life insurance. My husband and I were wanting a life insurance plan of $500,000 for both of us. From the beginning we completed everything immediately. I even completed the medical exam part the exact same week upon request and my husband the week after I believe. After that he sent 3 emails to our agent Ryan **, in which we never heard back from nor ever received anything from the company. After a few weeks we got letters in the mail stating that because we have not completed our forms, our insurance request has been cancelled. I was in shock! We never received a thing in the mail, email, or via our agent.

My husband had another party through his employer to try and contact our agent Ryan at that time and his excuse was, "Everything has gone into my junk mail." So clearly he didn't try to follow up with anything and requested our insurance be canceled. After that, Ryan and my husband got together to complete the process and my husband was informed at that time his premium would be 3 times the amount quoted from the beginning. He wanted Ryan to double check on that before proceeding with his so after weeks of waiting yet again, my husband all of a sudden noticed my premium taken out of his account (which was fine as I was all set up now) but AIG also took out 2 previous months of premiums as well!!

Why would 3 months be deducted when this was 100% Ryan's responsibility for not getting us signed up until the past month? Not to mention they increased my premium from the beginning to when it was taken out as I was "older now". My birthday is not until November and it is August right now but because I'm a bit older from when we started, they felt a need to increase. Like I stated from the beginning. AIG has been HORRIBLE to work with and nothing but trouble. We tried going higher up to find out why it's been so difficult with Ryan but he stated that AIG only speaks with their agent directly and not the customer.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Ok so I have been looking to get life insurance and this comes to my email...Thru the VFW great term life prices. I fill out the application and they call, the guy asks me I have a few questions... Ok shoot. "Do you smoke?" No, ok. "Do you drink?" No. Even better... "Ok are you a disabled vet", Yes...ok. What for I explain and gets down to anxiety and depression and PTSD, he says, "Oh so sorry you are not eligible... any veteran with PTSD, Depression, it unable to be accepted for our insurance." WTF.

Who represents the VFW and has that kind of denial clause. I am so mad I could explode right now. Then don't be a part of a Veterans group offering life insurance... or put healthy vets only. I called National VFW and they said there is nothing they can do until Senate passes a bill that PTSD or depression cannot be used to deny veterans of life insurance. Sorry about the rant, but please share as many times as you can to make legislators notice this type of stuff.

Original review: July 23, 2018

We handled a service for a family on May 16, 2018 and had them sign an insurance assignment form as well as all claim forms required that we received from AIG. We faxed back all of the paperwork that was received back to AIG with proper signatures shortly thereafter. Having not heard or received anything from AIG, we followed up with a call the week of July 2 asking why the claim had not been processed and payment had not been sent out. We were informed that we needed to have a HIPAA form to be signed, which was never requested by the agent during our initial contact. After the HIPAA paper was signed by the wife and faxed back to the claims division, we waited again. Then we received a letter on July 20 requesting we send a copy of the insurance policy.

We had a conversation with the agent today and was informed that either a copy of policy had to be sent in because you, the insurance company, had no information on the beneficiary, or we need to have the wife sign a letter stating that there was a lost policy. Again, this was not requested during the first discussion with the agent. We are in the process of getting the wife to sign a letter that the policy has been lost. What I cannot understand is why AIG does not know anything about this policy, but had no problem taking the payment out each month for the premium. I also cannot understand how come it has taken so long and we had to be the one to initiate the conversation why payment on the claim had not been paid out. If there was information that you needed, a phone call should have been made immediately to either our funeral home or to the wife to inform everyone that further information was needed.

We are into the 3rd month and the claim has not yet been processed. This is not fair to the wife, leaving her hanging out like this. We feel that this is very poor service for the family and does not reflect positively on your company. We really would like to see this issue expedited. We have been willing to hold out for the family and I know that the insurance company would not want to be responsible for any late charges that the family is too likely to incur because of AIG's agent's incompetence in handling this claim.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AIG?

Original review: July 20, 2018

I had an insurance for a flight and I needed to cancel it. I booked it through Expedia with AIG insurance. When I called Expedia, they said they can't cancel it and they suggested I call AIG and see if they can offer something. Mid-July, 2018 I called AIG customer service and a representative answered (I don't remember his name). The representative explained that the cancellation is not covered for the reasons I gave and when I said that, "This insurance policy is useless and I'm never gonna buy another insurance from AIG," he told me (with a sneer) next time I should read the conditions of the insurance, he LAUGHED OUT LOUD at me and he hung up.

I may not be eligible for reimbursement, but since I am a paying customer, I'm eligible to a little courtesy and politeness from the customer service. LAUGHING OUT LOUD at customers is certainly NOT what they paid for. This kind of attitude and behavior is unacceptable - one more reason, to never buy insurance from AIG...

Original review: July 16, 2018

This company is beyond a joke. I'm sure my agent recommended it on for his commission in hindsight. I needed to close out a policy for the money to pay for college. I put the request in May of this year. Was sent a letter the check would be following shortly in a different envelope. Never received it, called them. They nicely said no problem we will stop payment on it and reissue with urgency. Still nothing, now dealing with supervisor Lorraine **. She finds out they never issued a check at all, lied about stopping payment on a non-existent check but promised to help me. Then calls back and tells me I need to fill out papers for her, email them right back and she will take care of it.

Now we are in July mind you for this lousy check. She confirms she got everything and is expediting it. TODAY July 16th, I get a letter in the mail telling me they can't issue the check without the papers filled out that are enclosed which are the same damn papers I sent Lorraine. This is getting me sick and I'm tired of it. Will complain and files complaints anywhere I can. If you hear AIG... RUN the other direction.

Original review: June 30, 2018

What a joke of a company! I travel every year to Europe with my family and always get travel insurance, because I have a Pacemaker and a Defibrillator. This year I got 2 tickets to Europe for $2300.00 for June 2 2018. I got these tickets earlier this year. In May I had heart problems and had to have surgery and could not go. On submitting my claim A.I.G wanted proof so I sent in my complete report (typed) with a CD. I was then informed they needed it in long hand. On going back to my Cardiologist and asking for this I was embarrassed, but he did it. After sending in this form I was informed they don't cover pre-existing conditions and would not pay anything. I'm beyond upset.

Original review: June 28, 2018

Use this company at your own risk! I'm a beneficiary for a life insurance, unable to get payment on a loss check. I have called their support team this year on 5/18, 6/4, 6/15, 6/21, and 6/28 so far. I have been told the money was deposited into my bank, my bank has no knowledge of this deposit. This company just wants me to call back every 2 weeks with no solution. Right now they say they're waiting on my bank to give them a tracing number, funny how can my bank give them a tracing number, when it was their company who deposited the money. I also had one support person tell me my bank needed to return the money (my bank did not receive) so they could reissue it. All you need to do is look at their reviews and you will see I'm not the only with problems with this company.

Original review: June 26, 2018

Targeting ** people. My mother died a few years ago, AIG refused to honor her policy! They are the most horrific Company out there! STAY AWAY from this company. If you don't take heed and realize, the complaints from people are REAL, you deserve to get scammed!

Original review: June 12, 2018

I have been spending about 2 years trying to get my name and beneficiaries changed on my policy. They want like every proof of information possible for the name change (WAY more than social security did) and refuse to change the beneficiary, so it still all goes to my ex... Called them today to try to fix it because I am unable to create an account on-line and change that way, they said they created an account for me and emailed the password, but of course, it hasn't appeared. Customer service people don't speak English and they pretty much refuse to help with what they are asked to do...

Original review: June 4, 2018

I like the very positive features of the policy like money back after every 5 years and at the end, I will get my full policy money back with some extra bonus. But till then, I have some anxiety about future of my policy. My experience is very satisfied so far and I always remain optimistic about the company and am sure that they will fulfill all the promises made to me. However, I am slightly afraid that I may not get all the benefits that has been mentioned in the policy. This is just my internal feeling only and may not be true at all.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I like everything about this company. It is a great company. It has so many different types of options as well as many different policies. My parents bought the policy for me when I was a child and they have always been good to me. My experience has always been awesome.

Original review: May 31, 2018

It has great rates for the coverage provided, also it has low deductibles. And whenever I spoke with the reps, they were quick, courteous and professional. I can cover myself without breaking the bank, and that really speaks to me. I never had to use the coverage, but I would have been fully covered if so! However, I dislike that I have to do everything over the phone and CPU, I would love to go in and hammer everything out at once. Being in the mountains I have grown accustom to not having branches or physical locations here though. Overall, great experience.

Original review: May 30, 2018

They are well known and they are someone to trust. They are experts in the life insurance and I really appreciate the company. I feel adequately covered and I have all the confidence in the world for them.

Original review: May 23, 2018

My dad died and had a small life insurance policy of 1000.00. We went in everything required and they acknowledged they had it. When nothing came of it as called. We talked to 4 different people through the months and received four different answers. The last one said they didn't have anything on my father. Yet each letter we have received have the same claim number. Shame on AIG! I am reporting this company.

Original review: May 22, 2018

AIG can not accommodate my date of birth 02/29 (leap year) in their System. I find it ridiculous and suspicious that a company of that caliber does not have that capability. Every institution that I have dealt with do not have this easy to fix issue. Upon my complain and stating it’s unacceptable, they have now taken my date of birth completely out of my policy... at least I don’t see it when I log in to check my policy. I have paid into this policy for over 11 yrs and I am afraid if a claim is to be made somewhere along the line there will be an issue. It's unacceptable and I feel betrayed. I was not made aware of this when I sign up for this policy 11 yrs ago.

I demand their system updated to fix this fundamental issue or will have to take legal action. Not that I want to die but if I do my dependent should not suffer in making a claim. Their customer service is not able to give me reasonable answer. I need someone call me ASAP to tell me why their system is obsolete for that matter. I am an IT personal and it does not make sense to me to have a system of that deficiency. How did AIG manage during Y2K era?

Original review: May 18, 2018

AIG provides insurance for airline flights, supposedly to assist if you require a flight change, among other coverage. My sister had to change her flight due to a personal matter involving my 90 year old mother. They have been completely uncooperative. AIG needed "proof" mom was ill. We sent her proof that she required constant care and has dementia. As one might guess, she has a host of other medical issues as well. If ever there were a claim AIG needs to cover it is this one, but unfortunately they are more interested in making us jump through 1000 hoops and will not provide any assurance that after we have completed all this work, that we will be refunded. Why by airline insurance, the airline washes their hands of the whole and says call the insurance company. The insurance company says, "we see you always buy our insurance when you fly, but we don't believe we need to cover it"

In order to get coverage you have to prove that someone is ill. The company is aware of my mom's dementia, diagnosed 10 years ago, and it really hasn't gotten better. Mostly because no one recovers from dementia. I am livid that in the midst of this family crisis we are having, our insurance, which we gladly paid for, is giving us the runaround, and seems disinterested in helping. The lack of compassion, the lack of cooperation, the lack of doing your JOB - you are an insurance company and you don't want to reimburse claims.

Original review: May 16, 2018

This company has no intention of honoring the agreement it made with you. I have been paying my premium for years, only to be blindsided by it's denial of my claim when it came time to use the policy for an accident I incurred. I am so confident that I have a valid claim against my policy, that I will have to go through the trouble of filing a complaint with the Texas Department of Insurance and the Texas State Attorney General to determine if they can be of help. One star is too generous a rating for AIG, and I would be leary of taking out a reverse mortgage or applying for any other insurance underwritten by AIG.

Original review: May 2, 2018

AIG offers me the coverage I want for the price I want and they are super duper helpful. I can't argue with what they are offering me and I think that it is truly outstanding. I love my company currently and it has been a very great experience. I haven't run into any problems with them or with the account routine calls. The repayments each month are low enough to where I don't really pay attention to it.

Original review: May 1, 2018

AIG is able to provide unique and quality products to meet my needs and wants. It is conveniently located and has programs that are easy to understand and it catches my eye. Have high quality care products, they are introduce new products to fit my needs and are innovative. They are good with their customers and they are well organized and easy to understand the products they offer. Always have someone available to explain.

Original review: April 29, 2018

AIG Life Insurance is recommended by our financial advisor and we know others who have the same policy. We have had policies with AIG for several years and we are confident in the management of the company. I had some policies with AARP but have discontinued them due to their political pandering. I do not trust AARP anymore and question whether they are really looking out for the interests of Seniors. Their medical and investment goals are not looking out for my interests.

With AIG we are notified about the companies goals and views on a regular basis, both online and in mailouts. The company has a good track record and the results are not volatile. I feel that AIG is well managed. I also have investments with this company and the investments have grown and I feel that they are safe investments.

Original review: April 28, 2018

They came highly recommended to us from co-workers as well as our financial planner. We have been very well taken care of by them over the whole time with them as our carrier for insurance. Our life insurance with AIG is a term life plan that meets our needs for this time in our life when we need protection. They have great plans and customer care Dept is very responsive to our inquiries when this need arises. The term life plan has all the best features to best meet our needs for now and until it expires at age 72 for us. They have an excellent reputation for all of their products and are highly rated by the Better Business Bureau. I am highly satisfied with them so far with our policies.

Original review: April 27, 2018

This company has been the worst company to deal with customer service at there is for policies on an account and my mother passed away and trying to get these accounts separated to the proper people that she was paying for. Has been a horrible horrible horrible experience with your customer service. I'm not trying to get any information. I'm trying to give information so that we can continue with these policies and they are just, "Duh nothing I can do for you. I can't help you out early." Ridiculous. I would never recommend this company for anything if my mother had already had these policies in effect. I would cancel them right now so that this company would never get another cent of my money. I can't believe she continued on paying you guys. You are the worst people I have ever dealt with.

Original review: April 27, 2018

AIG is a good company that knows how to treat its customers like family and makes life a little easier for me. Their prices are decently done so that it's easy for me to figure out what I need to do to make sure everything's set if anything happens to me. the company is pretty awesome at making me understand what they are actually doing with the money I send every month. But there should be some cheaper options with amazing coverage so that people aren't screwed if they can't afford the cheapest option. They also need more representatives in Ohio.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I have been satisfied with the overall coverage of AIG Life Insurance. I know them as a leader in the industry and they've given me no reason to think otherwise. I went with them because of their net promoter score and I would always provide positive feedback on my experience. I like knowing that my family and loved ones will be taken care of. AIG is very transparent about the coverage and I know what to expect with them. My customer experience has always been a pleasant one as well. But I feel there could be more options. I like using insurance companies that offer a certain level of flexibility. It is also slightly more expensive than some of their competitors.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I had a heart attack this year February (2018). I put in a claim with AIG. They refused it on the grounds that my troponin (proteins released in blood for heart attacks/cardiac arrest) were not high enough. In other words my heart attack needed to be a big one. As a qualified nurse when a patient comes in as a medical emergency, the Dr will treat as he/she sees fit. It’s almost as if AIG are saying, either the patient should, tell the Dr to wait until troponin levels have risen enough before treatment or they need to advise Dr they could be voiding clients policies. I did not see in the policy where it said to advise the Dr of this clause. It may be seen as it being ethical as Doctors take an oath to do no harm, in which case the policy itself is not fit for purpose. Not a company to be recommended. Hazardous to health and finances.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I like that the insurance monthly rate is low compared to others and they have competitive ranges that vary to fit my lifestyle and price range. It was very easy for me to recently add on children, hassle-free. I like this company very much and it has good customer service. I have a good relationship and have insurance with them for over 10 years now and have never encountered any issues.

Original review: April 24, 2018

My step mom's husband died in Feb, 2018. We have found policies and have requested policy information. She got a letter from AIG for one of several policies with the policy information on it, yet AIG claims they have no such policy. We have been calling for weeks, only to be transferred around to department after department. Then they say it's a special policy being handled by the Dallas, Texas location! It must be a script because we always end up calling the Dallas location. The kicker is that several amounts are being taken out monthly for these policies. This should be against the law to do. They can't find any policies, yet the money is being automatically taken month after month! But, if there is no policy, how did we get this letter dated April 12, 2018???

Original review: April 24, 2018

I like the amount I am paying for a high quality life insurance. The fees are very good and reasonable. Their many features I find helpful in knowing more about their policy. I have always found everything I needed to find in the policy and if I can't find it their website helps me answer my questions. I love this company. It is one of the leaders in life insurance and they have always been able to assist me should I have any questions or concerns about my policy. I am pretty much happy with what I have.

AIG Life Insurance Company Information

AIG
1919
www.aig.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business