2. Finance
  3. Life Insurance

AIG Life Insurance

AIG Life Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.69/5

AIG has insurance policies that protect your financial health, including life, travel and auto insurance. AIG isn't an InsuraMatch partner. Call InsuraMatch to get multiple auto insurance quotes and policy advice in just 10 minutes. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

AIG Life Insurance Reviews

Original review: July 3, 2020

Stay far away. Over the years that I've had these policies (one for me, one for my husband), I have an extraordinary amount of trouble with them. They lose payments, misfile payments, and make it extremely hard to pay or access information online. They're constantly cancelling policies due to their mistakes, and it can take months of pointless phone calls to straighten out (when they make a mistake, the burden of proof is on the consumer).

If you call to find out when the next payment is due (easy to lose track of a quarterly payment), the recording skips the next date and gives you one far in the future, causing a missed payment (actually, I've experienced many, many ways they try to trip up the consumer. The end result would be the consumer losing coverage and having to buy a new policy at a MUCH higher rate…. They can make millions doing this. The latest? Although it's been mandated by law that insurance companies must give consumers a 90 day grace period, they just canceled my policy (again!) in spite of my being within that limit. My next note will be to the attorney general of my state.

Original review: June 17, 2020

My father recently passed away at 101 years old and to the last hour of his life his mind was sharp. A few weeks before his death he asked the family to change a small life insurance policy from my sister’s name and use it for my mother’s care, who is on home hospice, so we hired a Notary Public to come to the house to witness Dad signing the changes. We called today and they said, essentially, too bad his signature doesn’t match the one from 30 years ago.

Also, last year when he was trying to change the policy, we found out that Dad’s Social Security number didn’t match the one on the form by one number so he called, with the help of family, to inform them of the error. They told us he needed to submit his SS card, which we did and received a confirmation number, and today they said they never received it. They were rude and kept telling us the conversation was being recorded which we were more than fine with, though I guess it isn’t used to improve the quality of customer service. Now my sister, who has mental health issues, may receive the small payout which she is incapable of using for her own care so we are, not only heartbroken, but extremely upset and wondering how to care for Mom and my sister.

Get buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 30, 2020

AIG in Dubai cheating with people. Earlier I had a policy name family safeguard but suddenly after 2 year later I receive a message they will not renew my policy. I'm working with salary of 2500 from there every month. I use to 22 dhs for my future in case I will face any accident in my life. But they cancel my policy without returning my money. It's really bad.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I got injured on the job at the end of September. I submitted a claim through my accident policy of which I’m still trying to get processed. Customer Service is RUDE & speak to you in a VERY unprofessional condescending tone. They give out ** information & speak to you as though you’re nothing. The insurance adjusters DO NOT return phone calls as their voicemail says they will. I injured my wrist & had to have surgery due to an accident. I was sent a letter a few weeks ago saying my claim will not be processed because my paperwork doesn’t indicate my injury was a fracture. The policy is misleading & I keep getting the run around. Clearly there was an accident related injury because I’ve been off for over 3 months. I wouldn’t recommend anyone purchasing a policy from AIG because they don’t care about the consumer. All they want is your money. If I could give a -10 star I would.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

RECEIVED A LETTER IN THE MAIL (Dec 13th 2019) asking for a copy of my sister-in-law death certificate. They found me and I had no idea about this policy. I called on the dec 14th and was told they couldn't give me any information on the policy until I sent the death certificate. I finally sent the death certificate and called again on Jan 3rd only to be told they still couldn't give me any information and that they would send out a death claim form. Today I called and was told they still couldn't tell me if I'm the beneficiary or not and if I didn't get the claim form then that means I'm not the beneficiary.

Now keep in mind, I didn't even know anything about this policy and was told that they had to find the next of kin because they couldn't get in contact with the beneficiary. (Which doesn't make sense.) Any calls I make to customer service I receive different answer. One person tell me one thing and another person tells me something else. So now my understanding from today's call was I'm not the beneficiary and the answers I received doesn't make any sense at all. This is a ongoing battle that I nobody should go through with a loved one. CUSTOMER SERVICE NEED TO BE RETRAINED ON THE POLICIES AND PROCEDURES WHEN DEALING WITH PEOPLE ON THE PHONES.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AIG?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

My husband and I had purchased an Old Line Life Term Insurance Policy 20 years ago. Unfortunately, AIG bought them out. The policy was ending in December of 2019, so we called on November 12 of 2019 to let them know we did not want to renew the insurance policy. The person we spoke with stated he terminated the policy and stopped the automatic monthly payment. He also told us to ignore any correspondence from AIG.

In early December, AIG withdrew $872.54 from our account, a sum that was 8 times what we had been paying. When I called to ask what happened, the woman at AIG was horribly rude and told me she did not know what I was talking about because the policy had been terminated. We stopped payment on the withdrawal and filed a complaint with the California Insurance Commission.

We just got two letters today, January 17, 2020, one to me and one to my husband. The one to my husband was cordial but stated they had never received any notice of cancellation from us. The one to me was completely rude, telling me I could not cancel the policy because my husband was primary (My husband talked to the person in November to cancel the policy.), they had never received any notice from us and was just generally nasty in tone. His letter had a person's name, phone number, and email address attached; mine was signed by Customer Service.

It was very apparent mine was hostile and condescending in tone. I guess AIG hates women and feels it has a right to try to demean the mere "wife". We will be contacting AIG and the California Insurance Commission to follow up. We never bought this policy from AIG and now we would never have anything to do with them. The proverbial right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, and they feel it is just fine to be hostile and demeaning to women.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I give ANY insurance company a one star is because they asked people out there insurance money. They do not have any regards about people feeling when they have lost a loved one. On March 6, 2019 I lost my brother who my mother purchased the insurance policy for him and named herself as the beneficiaries. My mother passed on 8/26/2014. I am the only survivor of my family which that fall under my mother estates. Been fighting with AIG since July 2019 when my father passed 7/01/2019 after finding all the insurance my mother had purchased. They are very irresponsible, nasty, unfriendly had attitude people I have ever deal with so if anybody have policies with AIG think twice about cancel your policies with them plus they are not under BBB. That should tell you something about the company.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

I have been paying on a life policy for my husband since January, 1989 and now get a letter telling me I haven't been paying the right amount of premium. I pay this quarterly and the billing shows a certain amount which is exactly what I pay. When I called them they told me it was "up to me" to send the correct amount -- what -- I pay the amount on the billing. Too bad they say his policy will lapse so too bad unless I send them $1600. My husband will be 80 and we are on fixed income so where will I get this kind of money. Supervisors are as stupid as their customer service team. Have been taught to rely on life companies to be there when you need them but this one is truly simply pitiful and crooked. Guess I can just kiss my $30,000 plus away because they have made all the money off me that I'm willing to give. Someone needs to put a stop to this kind of business practice.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

On Oct 7 2019 we got a letter from AIG with the 2 refund checks stated our life insurance has been cancelled because we did not pay since May 2019, I call the customer services with the very bad experience, all they said, "Your policy cancelled and we can not give you the same prices" if we want to buy it again, I call my bank and they don't know why these checks were returned and we had them auto payment for years from my checking account, now they send send forms to reinstate, I ask for my agent so they can help me out but the customer service said no, there are many things I don't understand.

English is not my first language and the forms are confusing, why do I have to do all of these, we paid 11 years with the total more than $20,000 for nothing, so much stress on this issue, can any one have any advice or any lawyer can help us out, I'm relly stress. The customer service is the worst, I will not advise any one to buy AIG life insurance. Please help.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

AIG is stonewalling claims and holding onto "your money" as long as they can. It's bad enough to have to deal with the DEATH OF A FAMILY member, then have AIG stonewall my POD (Pay on Death) claim by telling me they received it but lost it, or never received it, need another document that they never said anything about until later. The latest stonewall tactic was AIG telling me the documents I sent are not visible on their system. - I sent hard copy notarized originals! What are they talking about!! I'm sure they wouldn't want to be treated like this if one of their family members died. This is unethical and illegal ACTIVITY.

AIG Life Insurance Company Information