1.63/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

AIG Life Insurance

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 10, 2017

112 AIG Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

We had a travel policy (Gold level) with this company for a cruise that had to be canceled due to emergency surgery. The company refused to pay the full premium coverage as stated in the gold policy. Found out later that someone at the company reduced the coverage without my or travel agent’s permission. But we still had paid for the Gold coverage. This is against the law to reduce your coverage without your permission and not refunding some of your premium money back. I would not even give them one star but I have to!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I do not need to go online except with address changes. The premium is withdrawn from my account. The rates are good and the company is highly rated.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Have life insurance, wanted to pay by credit card, for 2 days they gave me the runaround until they said I can't pay with credit card. If they give me so much grief for trying to pay them, heaven forbid if I have to make a claim!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

AIG Life Insurance is refusing to pay a life insurance policy claim. Proceeds allegedly have been sent to the treasurer's office but no one seems to have the assets.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I purchased term life when company under investigation. Got a great rate as I know this is a great company and if the govt. had not made matters worse, it would be a great company again. Mr. Greenberg was a super founder.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AIG?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I canceled my life insurance policy after having it for over 25 years and have never been late with a payment. It had a value that I was supposed to receive within 10 working days. It is now over 60 working days and still have not received a check. That is not the bad part. The bad part is dealing with customer service which they told me is off shore. After 14 days I called and was told they switched over their computer system and to allow for 14 more days. Then when I called they told me I had made an extra payment and they have to decide whether to refund that payment to me. Then they told me I left out a date on paperwork and I had to resubmit paperwork. Then they told me they didn't have my street address. Then they told me that I requested an address change and they were processing that request. Now the supervisor is involved and he will call me back. Terrible company to deal with.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

A so, so company. I found another with better renters insurance coverage and medical coverage. I believe my new more comprehensive coverage is very valued by me.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

American National Insurance/American General Life Insurance is dependable, honest, and down-to-earth. The few times I contacted them about something, I received information I needed. I still carry a "whole life policy" which I was able to borrow against during a tough time; and they have never bugged me about repaying because adjustments will be made in the policy amount if necessary.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

My husband and I had life insurance with American General Life Insurance for 24 years. In June we received a letter telling us that they were going to triple my husband's premium. The agent that we took out the insurance with has been dead for years so I called an agent in Winston-Salem to see what was going on. I ask how much cash value that we had and they told me how much I had and said that my husband didn't have any because they had been taking it along with what we paid each month. They had increased his premium and not notified us. When we bought the policy we told our agent we wanted whole life and he said that that was what this was. Now I have been told that it is a universal policy. So after 24 years of paying them we have no life insurance because we couldn't pay that high of premium. They are a bunch of crook.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Since Aug. of 2005 $21.90 has been coming auto out of my checking acct. I thought it was part of my Safeco Ins. until I went to close my Wells Fargo acct & transfer auto payments, this one stayed behind. Three months ago I started to try to find out how/what/why this had been instigated. I'm getting the 'run-around' from AIG; they've even faked an audio (they say) of me excepting this National Fire Insurance policy; which I know that I did NOT! I already have full coverage & would not have added anything else to it. Total is over $3,100.00. I'm not going to let them get away with this fraud; BBB, local TV media, lawyer; I will call them all.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

My brother passed away April 28, 2017. I am the administrator of his estate. I have been trying to process two claims since early May and it is now the end of August. Every time I send paperwork in I get a letter back two weeks later saying something is wrong with it. If I call for assistance and have a representative help me over the phone, tell me it is now correct, I still will get a letter saying something is wrong with it. I've written 7 letters, had 5 phone conversations, and submitted 6 official documents and still they have not settled the claim. Every time I call I get a different customer representative who will tell me something different from the last one. AIG has sent me 8 identical form letters requesting a claimant form even though I've already submitted it 3 times and their representative acknowledges they have it over the phone. A terrible, terrible company.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

AIG - Worst EVER Business Experience - Run Far - Run Fast. 10 years into a 15 year term insurance policy I was offered a new replacement policy, lock in your rate now for the next 15 years. This is where the trouble began. After being approved and being assured that the new policy would replace my old policy, I discovered after 5 months that I was making double payments for both policies. Since they will only accept automatic payments from your bank account it quite easy for them to take what they want when they want.

After weeks of calls, multiple customer service contacts, and finally 2 calls from the "domestic relations" office (thanks for nothing Andrea), both accounts were taken off of autopay, but no refund was allowed for the second policy as it was past 60 days-although they had not take taken payments out for that policy until after 60 days and then took 4 PAYMENTS for policy 2 and 1 PAYMENT for policy 1 the same month.

Still trying to resolve the issues, I authorized an auto pay on the second policy for the August 2017, and the company processed the transaction for 6 months worth of payments out of my account. So much for groceries this month. As far as getting a response from AIG, I am unable to sign in to the website (again),

Most days after a considerable time on hold you get someone who will "file a service request".

Today (was worse than the even the bad usual) I spent 2 hours on hold only to finally get someone reading that they are having technical difficulties call later in the week and then hang up on me. I have now lost not only over $500 on the second policy, not to mention the 10 YEARS in premiums on the first policy which they have refused to re-instate, and I am scared to death to do any further business with this company. I have paid my bank to put a stop payment on all AIG transactions coming from my accounts, and do not know when and if anyone will ever respond to the issues of duplicate and overpayments taken directly from my accounts. I would love a return call on these issues from any of the Customer Service people I have spoken to in the past: to name a few names. Wendy **, Beth **, Joe **, Rose, Carlina #**, JL #**, Jen #**, Andrea at "domestic relations".

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I reached out to AIG as they were still charging a family member the monthly fee. Unbeknownst to me I was supposed to call AIG on the day the family member died in order to stop the fees. It is now months after the death and AIG will not give the refund. They did request the death certificate notarized which I provided out of pocket only to get a reply saying because it was not accidental no monies will be given on a policy. Today I spoke with three people all of whom ask several questions and each did not have any answers for me. The policy number which the family member has been paying for years to, AIG says no such account exists. I assume this happens on every single of their policies and by them not being honest in giving a refund they profit heavily on others losses.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I signed up for a life insurance policy with AIG and I was to have a medical examination done at my home. I started fasting at 7:30 p.m., went to bed hungry, drank tons of water, and was ready for my appointment the next morning, at 7:30 a.m. It's going on 8:00 a.m., and nobody shows. I call my health examiner's number and no answer. I leave a message stating I can wait only for 15 more minutes then I'm eating breakfast. I started to feel sick. Now it's going on 8:30 a.m... No calls, no nothing. I called again and still no answer. Just a voicemail recording.

I got to the point where I said "screw this, I'm eating breakfast", so I ate. I was so hungry I could not wait any longer. I get a phone call at around 9:30, and it was the health examiner! She stated "she overslept" and "slept through her alarm" and "did not hear the phone ring", and said, "I do not have a habit of oversleeping; I don't know what went wrong". I'm not sure about that. I went through that fasting for nothing. Whatever happened, it caused an inconvenience for me and I am not risking it happening again. So I am going with another company that does not require medical exams. No way can I put myself through that again.

Original review: July 1, 2017

I contacted AIG because I had not received a statement for payment. I was told me address had been changed, and I know I have not made any changes. I've been a customer of AIG for a long time and don't deserve the treatment I received when I called this office. The guy I spoke with had an accent so bad I couldn't understand and he refused or said that no one else was there for me to talk to. I was told that my name had been removed from my own account and my son's name was on the account. I have several accounts with this insurance and my Mother does too. Something underhanded is going on with this insurance company and it's time for AIG to be investigated.

Original review: June 20, 2017

I have been corresponding and phoning AIG since my husband passed away in March 2017. He has had this life ins. policy with AIG since early 1970's. They have been playing games with me for close to 3 months. Promises to call back (several times) actually happened only once. The only people you can talk to are underlings who must be reading from a script, cannot give you any information or connect you to someone who can. What they can do is have someone call you back in 24 to 48 hours, which doesn't happen. Last 3 calls I was told check was mailed. Small problem, wrong address. They actually came up with 3 wrong addresses. Still no check. Still no conversation with someone in charge. Stay far away from this company and any of its subsidiaries!

Original review: May 23, 2017

I just submitted my story and have read on to see what others had to say. It strikes me that a lot of crap is going on with this company and a lot of it started in October 2016. So what do we do? How do we get these guys to straighten up and fly right or give us our money back?? One story about was from a person who had their payments automatically withdrawn from their bank account every month. AIG just drew something like 5 times the amount without notifying them. Now I know why I don't like automatic withdrawal! I'm serious! How do we get these "people"? Do we need to organize a class action suit?

Original review: April 9, 2017

Mother passed in Feb, filed paper with death certificate like customer service told me after waiting on paperwork for almost two weeks. Had to call and get them to email mail them to me. After receiving claim number and waited 14 days on processing of policy. They tell me after I call them to check it, that I have to redo paperwork because I had the wrong policy number on claim paper but it was being processed! Resent and got letter from AIG stating that they needed paper filled out that was attached but there was no paperwork attached! A month and half with calls and paperwork! I haven't got anywhere with this company and I am the beneficiary on mothers policy. I don't understand Why?

Original review: April 7, 2017

So I just got off the phone with AIG, just getting a quote. I'm shopping around for a whole life policy for my disabled child. Money I can leave behind to take care of him. While answering the health questions the agent was asking me, I was explaining how I have another policy through the military and one through my employer. The agent was getting frustrated because I wasn't answering the health screening questions fast enough I guess, then all of a sudden I hear him say, "I don't care anyway." I couldn't believe it.

Here I am planning out my autistic sons future... and I have some ** from AIG on the phone getting upset because I'm not being screened fast enough for him... He was hella rude. I hope this recorded call gets reviewed. This company is a Joke! Please shop around before you do business with these guys. I already knew they had a bad rep to begin with, don't know why I even answered the phone.

Original review: April 3, 2017

When there was a death in the family I only had to contact them once. The phone was answered promptly and courteously. They sent me the form with the information they needed and once they received it everything was resolved within 2 weeks. I had no problems or issues with them. When I needed to take out a small loan against my policy again, there were no issues. They are a wonderful company to do business with.

Original review: March 28, 2017

I have been working with AIG to refund my money in a whole life insurance policy. I had the Virginia State Commission investigate about it. They had a hard time getting information from the company to do the investigation. The company did not notified me of any changes to my policy that I have for 20 years. I paid $55.00 a month in and it was a suppose be worth $55,000.00. They use the money to keep their company going for expenses. I did not receive any yearly updates to tell me how the policy was doing until I called about a bill wanting me to pay more money of $337.90 to make the policy current. I have not missed a payment. The customer service representative do not know anything. They give out wrong information. The supervisor are not any better. They tell you the check in the mail. Guess what. Nothing happens. So my advice do not invest in AIG if you don't want to lose you MONEY.

Original review: March 24, 2017

I called for a simple quote on the amount I needed. Was then told "Do you want to try and raise a child on ** amount a year?" I guess because I am a woman I must have a houseful of small children who would be mired in poverty should I not purchase an incredibly high policy. First, shouldn't the agent have asked me first if I had or even plan to have children. Second, I don't like being talked down to because I am not trying to get rich off of the death of my spouse but simply wanted a small policy. I will never call them for a quote or purchase a policy thru AIG after what was only a three-minute phone call. Very disappointing...

Original review: March 23, 2017

This place... like so many complaints before mine. All true. Life insurance policy expired end of Dec. 2016. No problem. Not going to renew. They auto draft without my consent from my bank account in January and February $1804 each month. That's a 1,555% increase. My previous monthly payment for 10 years was $109. What the HECK people!!! I've called, faxed, emailed, you name it. First customer support agent was sympathetic and gave me FAX number stating, "AIG did not have authorization to draft that amount" and to state that in the FAX letter and I would have a refund in 5 business days. JOKE! They will tell you anything. I am now I go into the black hole with no response, Supervisor, "TOM" telling me today, pretty much, “Sorry, we didn't have to contact you about it because we show we mailed you a letter in November telling you to write us back if you didn't agree.” JOKE.

OK. Folks, I take escalated calls all day long and deal with disgruntled people trying to resolve issues. AIG does not care about their customers. They don't care if they have made mistakes. They don't want to communicate or have a respectable business that tells you if you want to renew your policy it's going up 1,555%. NO THEY WANT TO TRAP you into their system and pray you don't have the tenacity to fight them forever to get YOUR money back. Class Action lawsuit? Count me in. These guys need to be stopped. $3608 illegally drawn from my account in 30 days!!! Ya, that was part of my daughter's tuition payment. I have to work 2 months to net that. Someone contact me.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

Everything said by others is true. In fact they are being kind. This is a elder abuse. We pay all our lives my case 1984 only to find out that now I am 64 my premiums are going to quadruple and they say too bad so sad. No wonder Hank Greenberg is gone and he took all the money we paid them with him. We need a MURPHY'S act in ILLINOIS and attorneys who can fight it. I think this is a class action suit if I ever heard of one BAIT AND SWITCH.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

We need to change the bank where the monthly premium was withdrawn automatically due to identity theft. It took us over 3 months and still not resolved yet. We submitted the required form. However, when reviewing our bank account and seeing the premium not taken out, make a call and to learn that they need another form due to the account under a trust. The worst thing is they do not call us back to let us know if they need additional form or information. It is our job to monitor our bank account and call them to follow up. This is a poorly ran and highly bureaucratic company. We also have policies with Prudential and TransAmerica and they took care of the issue seamlessly on the first call. AIG Management Team needs to look into your operations and change to be more efficient.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

I too was paying like a good customer for 10 yrs and all of a sudden 15 times higher withdrawal in Jan. I called and was told the same thing - I had spoken to a representative in a November, but she directed me to another agent and despite me telling her I am not interested she did not cancel the policy. I have sent in my fax as well so please let me know what you find out Patty.

I am willing to join in the better business bureau complaint. I think these guys are running a scam. If they change the terms (15 times higher premium) how can they expect automatic renewal or no cancellation - should customers have a say on renewal and silence or denial on phone or misdirected letter should not mean they automatically withdraw! I am going to remove all companies from auto withdrawal - I was being a good citizen but looks like they have all the power in such cases. I am willing to file a lawsuit if this does not get resolved. Please let me know your progress Patty.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

Null, keep your money, invest it in a personal bank account. A pity I didn't search to see early on that this insurance firm has so many dissatisfied customers; I believe all the one stars and am in disbelief at the high stars here based on what I've been going through for the past 2 months. A 0-star fits best. I have been paying for AIG accident and critical illness insurances for a long time -- WASTED MONEY (3000+). My reason for choosing this insurance is that I opt for alternative medicine, not traditional medicine -- as such, I seek homeopathy, home remedy, chiropractic help, diets, etc -- a big expense nonetheless! -- instead of X-rays, doctor visits, medication, etc etc, if it is possible to heal via alternative medicine. AIG promised a lump sum per accident seriousness: as decided by their assessors based on my medical report and independent of any additional insurance I receive.

On Nov. 7, 2016 I actually had a small accident - a sprained ankle. I refused X-rays, medication and have healed with aqua therapy, home rest, sports therapy, unguents, diet (vitamins/minerals), etc. The doctor cost me $180, no more, it would have cost $1000+ if I had pursued the doctor's suggestion... AIG is saying now that they MIGHT compensate me the amount that is not being covered by my primary provider (like $70) because this is "supplemental insurance". THEIR POSITION AFTER THE FACT IS CONTRARY TO THEIR INITIAL PROMISE of taking into account the event's seriousness to compensate by a lump sum from $25000 and irrespective of my medical insurance or any other insurances. SUCH UNPROFESSIONAL LIES!

Their customer service is fully unsatisfactory, too: automatic system rejects me because my date of birth is not matching and nobody has yet fixed that issue; the foreign staff is not trained nor efficient (their servility is simply useless...); time wait and time waste... I have cancelled both AIG insurances, belatedly, am only bitterly-glad that I learned about it via a minor accident not a big one.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

I had American General Life insurance (AIG) for 10 years. Had automatic withdraws set up. Like clockwork every month the payment was taken from my checking account. Then all of a sudden a withdraw of 6 times my normal payment was withdrawn! ($85 to $517). That hurts any normal person on a fixed income. I called and was told that a letter went out stating there would be an increase in my premium. I explained I did not receive any such letter and ask where it was addressed to. It was sent to my previous address of over 7 years ago which is a vacant house with no mail service. I stated that AIG should have received their mail back undeliverable. The person on the phone said she did not have that information and took my current address to update their records. I ask how do I get my money back and instructed her to cancel this policy. She said I would need to do that in writing and gave me AIG's fax number.

I sent my requests by fax and I have called 2 more times, each time the person on the phone can't tell me what is going on just that they have received my fax (3 of them to be exact). The last phone call I was told that a management team would have to make a decision. When I ask, don't know the reply. I have since contacted Better Business Bureau and awaiting a reply.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2016

I became disabled through my as of 4/6/2016. AIG was the short/long term insurance carrier thru my job. I was having Open Heart Surgery 4/14/2016 so my initial claim for 12 weeks short term was approved and the checks came regularly thru 7/5/2016. After that the experience became horrible!! My doctor still had me off because I had to do 12 weeks of cardiac rehab and I was still very weak due to my weak heart and also due to my incision I was having problems moving my right arm and my right side.

Even though I was already on std they said they had to do another review to determine my long term disability. They stopped my checks in July and I had 0.00 income coming in to pay my rent, lights, or my co-pays for the many prescriptions I was on. I am single with no kids. Both parents are deceased so I had very little help. I could not drive and was under TREMENDOUS STRESS while trying to get better. They took over 90 days to make a decision to DENY my ltd.

My Doctor personally called to explain why I was still disabled and they acted like his word meant ABSOLUTELY NOTHING and he is a prominent heart surgeon with many years of experience. They based their decision on the results of my cardiac rehabilitation which showed them that I was tolerating the exercise which consisted of doing things at a very slow pace and also I could barely work the exercise machines so they kept me on the same ones. They did not push you to do more than you were physically able to do.

This stupid company took the notes from rehab techs and not my cardiologist who is a medical doctor. I was receiving eviction notices, had no money for food and suffered severe depression and anxiety and these heartless animals at AIG did not give a damn! Thank GOD I got help from social services and the manager of my apartment complex had compassion about my situation. I told my doctors that I just was not feeling any better, even after the surgery. I felt weaker! I am still not back to work...

I was readmitted to the hospital on Nov 5th for atrial fibrillation and they had to shock my heart back into normal sinus rhythm. On Nov 17th I was told by my cardiologist that my heart has gotten weaker since my surgery and I am now in danger of "Sudden Death Syndrome" and I need a defibrillator/pacemaker implanted and connected to my heart so if my heart slows down to a dangerous level it will shock my heart back to normal (hopefully).

I also have been approved and deem disabled by the US Government Social Security Disability agency. But AIG told me I was ok to go back to work!! This company is INCOMPETENT, UNPROFESSIONAL, NON-COMPASSIONATE AND GREEDY! They are more concerned about keeping your money than paying you when you need it the most. If you have any type of policy with this company... I would suggest you cut your losses now and find another company because when you are in need... The vultures at AIG will not give a damn!!! I am telling everyone I know and using every means necessary to tell the world. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH AIG!!! Sincerely Ms. Totally Dissatisfied.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

As the other reviewers mentioned, I was a loyal paying customer for years and when a payment lapsed I was put through a 4 month wait to hear back from their underwriters. They ask for items to be faxed. 20 years ago that might have been quick but this is 2016. I was even told that a form had to be emailed to me and that would take 24 hours. What email takes 24 hours to go through? Then I was told I would only hear from them by mail, regular snail paced mail! The customer service is from Manila. When you speak there is a delay on the call. I could go on and on. I can't imagine how bad it will be the day I might need to make a claim.

AIG Life Insurance Company Information