4.7/5 (164 ratings)

About Ethos Life Insurance

Ethos takes a modern approach to life insurance policies, with no medical exam requirement and same-day coverage from top carriers. Policies can be customized to a budget, and sales agents don't work on commission, so there's no pressure to upsell or provide products you don't need. Term life and whole life policies are available. Get started with a free online quote.

Pros

• Same-day coverage
  • No medical exams or tests
  • No pressure
  • Free online quote

Cons

• Age limitations
  • Limited riders

Bottom Line

Ethos life insurance is a modern provider that offers free online quotes and fast approvals. Medical exams and blood tests aren't required for term life or whole life insurance. Policies include a 30-day money-back guarantee.

What is Ethos life insurance?

Ethos is an online life insurance provider that offers term life and whole life policies through trusted insurance carriers. Provide information to get a free quote online, then purchase a policy with no medical exams required. The fast, automated underwriting process means coverage can start as soon as the same day. If you aren't satisfied with your purchase, you can get a full refund within the first 30 days.

Ethos life insurance policies and coverage

Ethos offers term life and whole life insurance policies through top carriers including Legal & General America, Ameritas Life Insurance Corp., TruStage and AAA Life. Each policy type includes extra features. Term life policies are guaranteed to be renewable and have level premiums. Whole life insurance plans include an accidental death benefit, accruing cash value, policy loans, reduced paid-up or extended term insurance options and a waived annual fee for AAA members.

Here are the details of each type of Ethos life insurance policy.

PlanTerm lengthBenefit amountIssue ages
Term life10, 15, 20 or 30 years$20,000 to $1.5 million20 to 65
Whole lifeLifetime$10,000, $15,000, $20,000 or $25,00065 to 85
Term length10, 15, 20 or 30 yearsLifetime
Benefit amount$20,000 to $1.5 million$10,000, $15,000, $20,000 or $25,000
Issue ages20 to 6565 to 85

Ethos quotes

The cost of your Ethos policy is based on your age, sex, health, lifestyle and the policy terms. For example, a 25-year-old smoker might pay an average of $123 per month for a 10-year term life policy with a death benefit of $1 million, while a nonsmoker would pay $58 per month for the same policy. Complete Ethos’s online quote form to receive a personalized price in minutes. You can also request a quote over the phone, and since sales reps don't work on commission, you won't be pressured to buy anything you don't need.

Ethos FAQ

Does Ethos require a medical exam?
No, Ethos doesn't require a medical exam or any blood tests. There are some exceptions; if you're asked to complete a medical exam, it won’t cost you anything.
Does Ethos have a waiting period?
There is no waiting period with Ethos policies. Coverage begins as soon as you accept the terms and are charged for your first premium.
What is Ethos’s cancellation policy?
Ethos has a 30-day money-back guarantee, during which you'll receive a full refund if you cancel for any reason. After the first 30 days, you can still cancel at any time with no cancellation fees.
How do I apply for Ethos life insurance?
You can apply for Ethos life insurance online or over the phone. Have your driver’s license, Social Security number, personal and family health history and current medication information ready.
Is there an age limit for Ethos life insurance?
Term life policies have an issue age limit of 20 to 65, while whole life policies have an issue age limit of 65 to 85.

Is Ethos life insurance legit?

Ethos provides a convenient, low-pressure way to purchase term and whole life insurance. No medical exam is required to purchase a policy, and there's no waiting period before coverage kicks in. Get a quote on Ethos's website to determine if your personalized rate is within your budget. If you do purchase a policy, remember that you have 30 days to get a full refund if you change your mind.

Ethos Life Insurance Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ethos Life Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ethos?

Original review: April 22, 2022

Why should any consumer have life insurance? For asset protection and passing down your legacy to your children instead of passing them down bad memories. I'm a life insurance agent and I advocate that 24/7. It was easy to sign up with Ethos. It was just the online process of filling out the application then it was payment and coverage and there it was. I did it myself as an agent and a policyholder.

Speaking from experience, the policy is one of the better tools out there because you get the coverage and it's right there. One thing I would like to see, though, is an indexed universal life policy, but I see why Ethos can't issue them right now. It’s a requirement for them to send the policyholder or the investor a print out of potential earnings or some kind of outlook as to what the projected earnings is gonna be. That requires more steps and a little more process, and it's nothing that Ethos can do right now, unfortunately. Overall, it's not the best price point because of the selection process of getting people covered, but that'll change in due time.

Ethos Life Insurance response

Hi Jermaine- We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review! Thank you for joining Ethos in our mission to protect the next million families! We appreciate your choice to work with us to protect your family, friends, and neighbors and looking forward to growing our policies and plans we offer in the near future. - The Ethos Team

Get buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 27, 2022

The policy that I had was going to be the same dollar amount per month, but it was less coverage. I went with Ethos and the price was lower compared to comparable coverage from other companies. Their process was very straightforward. However, the price that’s put out there is very different when you go through the questions. The rep told me the biggest thing was my weight. There might be too much emphasis on BMI, which I find that’s the way it is a lot in the insurance industry and other industries too. I am overweight, but I don't have any other problems. By BMI scales, I’m almost morbidly obese. But I'm not. They all go by that BMI standard and it's out of date. It should be a more holistic view of health. They could look at other factors like blood pressure, cholesterol, etc.

Ethos Life Insurance response

Hi Kimberly- thank you for providing us with some feedback! We are happy to hear you found our process very straightforward- it's what we are striving for! We understand that each applicant's rate is subject to change once an application is submitted. If you have more feedback or would like to speak further with someone on our team, we encourage you to reach out to support@getethos.com or call (415) 915- 0665. - The Ethos Team

Original review: March 20, 2022

Been looking at so many companies including Ethos. Came back to Ethos after researching and saw rated as one of the best overall. Received an affordable quote which I was very pleased with. Means a lot to have coverage that doesn’t break the bank. Spoke with Dana who was very helpful in my trying to move forward with my husband’s application as found out he started one back in December which he forgot he done. Needed his permission to clear. Was able to call by conference calling him. She also told me what to do if happens again.

Troy a licensed agent called & texted soon after my application was approved to ask if I needed any assistance. He was very nice and helpful in answering my question. Said feel free to call if I had any questions or problems. Feel I made a very good decision even more in choosing Ethos. Would definitely recommend to family/friends who are in need of life insurance. The whole team was very helpful. Thank you very much for giving me and my family peace of mind! Don’t have much more to say other than that.

Ethos Life Insurance response

Hi Concetta- thank you for leaving us this review. We are so happy that you and your husband both found a policy that fits your needs. We are here if you should ever need anything! - The Ethos Team

Original review: Dec. 17, 2021

As a 55 year old American man, I have faced some relative minor health issues (imagine that) - but otherwise I'm healthy. When I first left the corporate world, I went out to look for coverage. After a few months and a lot of actual paper work, mailings and doctor visits, I was rejected by several insurance companies for really minor or insignificant health reasons.

My doctor was amused at one of these upon review, as one was reported back to me as "rejected" due to a 4 month late test on a PSA test she marked as "a consideration to move from 2 year to 1 year tests after 55." Basically I had done everything my doctor requested in the last 10 years, had been even given a doppler vein test for detecting early blockage (the most likely issue for a 55 year old) and was rejected for a test she had simply moved up from an every other year test to a test at each years physical. Nothing unusual and was a very prudent decision. I thought wow, this is way too intrusive and buffoonish of an action by what I assumed was a reputable insurance company. I was very concerned and disappointed by the old tired broken processes.

I was not happy with the process to simply find a small policy for 250k coverage as a middle-aged American. So I found Ethos on an internet search. Ethos went out and found me 250k insurance at a pretty good price. I can tell you it was about as easy as you can make it. You simply determine the coverage, fill out a 5 minute questionnaire about who you are and health, you allow the insurance companies to contact your doctor to match the questionnaire (just a verification you're telling the truth) and presto an email to select your coverage and make an initial payment. Thanks ETHOS! Well done and I will recommend to many others. RMW.

Ethos Life Insurance response

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate you leaving us this feedback and telling us about your experience! We are so happy to hear that you found a policy that fits your needs. We strive to make the process of receiving life insurance as seamless as possible. We are grateful to have you as part of the Ethos family. - The Ethos Team

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

I have a prior policy through Ethos with Assurity. The prior experience was so easy, that I came back to Ethos. The communication this time was more difficult. I got a couple of requests for details and replied right away. Then a questionnaire was needed. I kept replying that the attachment said the questionnaire was no longer available without response. Then I started getting replies that I had 3 days and my application would close if I didn’t reply. I ultimately called in and was told I would get a call back by the end of the day. No one called and I thought “forget it… I will go elsewhere when I have time to apply elsewhere”. Then yesterday I got an email that I was approved. Not sure why things were not as easy as last time.

Ethos Life Insurance response

Hi Tracy- thank you for leaving us some feedback. Due to Ethos having various products, each product contains different processes of underwriting. Customer service is of the utmost importance to us and we value quick, transparent communication with each customer. We're more than happy to answer any questions you may still have about the underwriting process for the product you received. If you would like us to explain further call (415) 322- 2037 or email reviews@getethos.com - The Ethos Team

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

The application for Ethos was an incredibly simple process. The rates are relatively competitive to others and, in fact, even beat some of those companies. Making it better, I didn't have to go through the drawn out medical exam process, which is not only inconvenient but doesn't exactly correlate with better rates with excellent results. I would definitely recommend giving Ethos a try for your life insurance needs.

Ethos Life Insurance response

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your feedback, Marc. We are thrilled to hear you found our application process simple, it's what we are striving for! We are grateful to have you as a customer. - The Ethos Team

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

I Definitely would love to recommend to anyone whether friends or family members. Everyone needs to be protected from the unexpected curve balls that come our way. This was super easy and less painstaking than any other way of purchase used in the past to buy a policy.

Ethos Life Insurance response

Hi Marilyn- thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. We know your time is valuable which is why we strive to offer an easy process of receiving a policy. We are grateful to have you as a customer! -The Ethos Team

Original review: July 31, 2022

The application process was very easy. I got my quote right after I replied to the questions and finalized everything in less than an hour. The representatives were very efficient and followed through afterwards making sure that I have resources to contact if I have some questions and clarifications throughout the process. I rate is also not expensive with the coverage that I chose. I will definitely recommend to my friends and family.

Ethos Life Insurance response

Hi Jennifer- thank you so much for taking the time to leave us this review. We know your time is valuable which is why we strive to offer a quick and easy process to receive a policy. We are grateful to have you as part of the Ethos family! - The Ethos Team

Original review: July 6, 2022

The online application was very easy follow and complete. I had a phone call before I finished the application. Then I had follow up texts welcoming me. I found the coverage I needed at a decent price. The whole experience was fast and easy.

Ethos Life Insurance response

Hi Melaine- thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We are thrilled to hear you found your experience fast and easy--it's what we are striving for! - The Ethos Team

Original review: July 4, 2022

Ethos made it simple and easy for someone who hasn’t dealt with life insurance before. I was able to apply, pay, and set up my policy all on my phone. The approval process was quick and easy as well. I would absolutely recommend Ethos to friends and family.

Ethos Life Insurance response

Hi Antony- thank you for taking the time to leave us with your feedback. We know your time is valuable which is why we strive to offer a simple and easy life insurance application and approval experience! We are grateful to have you as a customer. - The Ethos Team

Ethos Life Insurance Company Information