2. Finance
  3. Life Insurance
Accredited Partner

Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.47/5

Haven Life Insurance Agency, LLC is a life insurance startup that created an easy and affordable option for buying term life insurance (issued by MassMutual) online. Haven Life is dedicated to transforming the typically time-consuming and confusing process of applying for life insurance into one that's easier, faster and better. Haven Life is backed and wholly owned by MassMutual, a trusted life insurer with more than 160 years of experience.

**MassMutual and its subsidiaries C.M. Life Insurance Company and MML Bay State Life Insurance Company are rated by A.M. Best Company as A++ (Superior; Top category of 15). The rating is as of April 1, 2018 and is subject to change. MassMutual has received other ratings from different rating agencies.]

AMBestRating

BOTTOM LINE

Haven Life sells term life insurance from MassMutual. It offers simple calculators, a quick approval process and extra protection through riders. Though it only offers term life insurance, Haven Life is competitively priced.

PROS

• Additional riders
  • InstantTerm approval process
  • MassMutual coverage

CONS

• Only offers term life

Top Haven Life Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Haven Life?

I found the entire process of buying life insurance through Haven Life very easy and affordable. The online portion only took a few minutes and the medical examiner came to my house, which made it very convenient. Also, the monthly payment was exactly what I was quoted, which I appreciate.

Haven Life made the process of applying for and purchasing life insurance so simple! I might have spent five minutes on the entire process from start to finish. The monthly premium amount is also substantially lower than other companies I had priced. This was a win on all fronts.

Haven Life Get a Quote

What is Haven Life?

Haven Life sells term life insurance with up to $3 million in coverage to customers between 18 and 64 years old. It makes shopping for life insurance simple with its Online Life Insurance Calculator, a quote tool with a minimalist interface. Haven Life offers coverage directly from MassMutual Insurance, an insurance provider with almost two centuries of experience. Haven Life's prices are competitive, and InstantTerm approval is available for qualified, healthy applicants under 59 who need $1 million or less in coverage.

How do I apply for Haven Life insurance?

Haven Life’s application process is simple:

1. Fill out its online life insurance questionnaire by answering a few questions, then choose the coverage amount and policy length you require.
  2. Once you’ve found coverage and a rate you’re happy with, fill out the 25-minute application to get the most accurate rate. For the application, you need your:
    • Driver’s license
    • Social Security number
  3. Finally, answer questions about your lifestyle, health history and family health history to finish your application.

Upon completion of your application, Haven Life’s tools make an algorithmic approval decision based on your health, age and coverage requested. The healthiest individuals younger than 60 who need $1 million or less in coverage may be eligible for InstantTerm, which means they receive coverage immediately. Those who don’t qualify for InstantTerm may need a medical exam and can opt into temporary coverage for up to 90 days.

What policies are offered by Haven Life?

Haven Life offers term life insurance that lasts for 10, 15, 20 or 30 years, although a 30-year term is only available to customers younger than 50. For customers under 60, every Haven Life term life insurance policy can include coverage up to $3 million, while customers from 60 to 64 can only receive coverage up to $1 million. Customers older than 64 cannot receive any coverage from Haven Life, and the company does not offer whole life insurance to applicants of any age.

Riders available for Haven Life policies

Every Haven Life policy comes with add-ons, called riders, that give the policyholder extra protection.

• Accelerated death benefit: If a policyholder becomes terminally ill and is diagnosed as having less than 24 months to live, they can use their coverage to pay for medical expenses while they’re still alive. In this instance, Haven Life subtracts the money used for care from the payout.
  • Guaranteed renewability: Every Haven Life policyholder is guaranteed renewed coverage at the end of their term. Prices may increase, but a policyholder never experiences an outright denial.
  • Waiver of premium: If a policyholder becomes disabled and cannot work for longer than six months, they do not have to pay premiums for the duration of the disability. Note that this rider requires an additional monthly fee and is only available for applicants younger than 50 in California, Washington D.C., Delaware, Florida, North Dakota, New York and South Dakota.
  • Haven Life Plus: Haven Life Plus is included in the purchase of any policy. It allows customers to take advantage of additional services and memberships, including an online legal service for creating wills, free access to fitness and jet lag management apps, secure online document storage and 15% off CVS MinuteClinics. Note that Haven Life Plus is not available in New York, Florida, South Dakota, Washington or North Dakota.

How much does Haven Life insurance cost?

Customers can use Haven Life's online insurance calculator to see a basic policy quote within seconds. If the customer wishes to know more, they can receive a precise rate by taking 25 minutes to fill out a detailed questionnaire. Generally, Haven Life insurance policies cost between $12 and $463 per month, depending on your age, health and family medical history.

A healthy, 40-year-old male can expect to pay:

• $18 a month for a 10-year, $250,000 policy
  • $46 a month for a 20-year, $500,000 policy
  • $118 a month for a 30-year, $750,000 policy

Haven Life determines your actual rates when you complete the application, which may include a medical exam for individuals with a higher risk for poor health. If you are more likely to have health problems, you may have higher rates.

Haven Life FAQ

What is Haven Life Plus?
Haven Life Plus provides additional services for all customers, including:
  • Trust & Will: An online will creation services
  • Aaptiv: An audio-based fitness app
  • Timeshifter: A customized planning service to alleviate jet lag symptoms
  • LifeSite: A secure online vault to store documents
  • MinuteClinic: A 15% discount off any service at a MinuteClinic in CVS or Target

Haven Life Plus is not available in NY, FL, SD, WA or ND.

Does Haven Life require a medical exam?
Unless you qualify for InstantTerm, you typically need to get a medical exam. Haven Life’s medical exams are paid for by the company and typically take about 20 minutes to complete. You can schedule the medical exam at the time and location of your choosing. Haven Life's medical professional reviews your family’s medical history and performs a physical.
Is Haven Life available in my state?
Yes, Haven Life is available nationwide, though Haven Plus services and the waiver of premium rider have state limitations.
What’s the maximum coverage available with Haven Life?

Haven Life bases its maximum available coverage on the applicant's age.

• Policyholders under 50 can take full advantage of Haven Life’s maximum coverage of $3 million with a 30-year term.
  • Policyholders between 50 and 59 can receive a 20-year, $3 million policy.
  • Policyholders between 60 and 64 can obtain a 20-year policy up to $1 million.
How quickly will my Haven Life insurance application get approved?
Many people receive immediate approval with InstantTerm, but others should expect an approval decision seven to 10 days after completing a medical exam.
Is Haven Life an independent insurance agency?
No, Haven Life exclusively offers life insurance from MassMutual Insurance Company.
Can I buy Haven Life whole life insurance?
No, Haven Life's maximum offering is a 30-year term life insurance policy.

Is Haven Life a good insurance company?

Because of its excellent reputation for customer service, simple application process and competitive pricing, we recommend Haven Life for customers seeking term life insurance. The company offers additional protection with the accelerated death benefit, waiver of premium and guaranteed renewability riders. Customers can also keep their health and legal documents in order with Haven Life Plus. The company also has competitive pricing and easy-to-use calculators, but customers seeking whole life insurance need to look elsewhere.

Haven Life Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Haven Life?

Original review: April 17, 2020

I shopped around a bit and found that Haven's prices were right for me for the amount of term coverage I was seeking for my family. I was drawn to check them out by a consumer advocate site that indicated that they offered a streamlined process to obtaining life insurance, and Haven did not disappoint. Should the policy ever need to be paid out, I only can hope that the process will be as easy for my loved ones as it was for me to get signed on.

Haven Life response

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts, Kevin! We know protecting your loved ones is incredibly important and we value your choice to use Haven Life.

Please know we're always here if you need!

Elle

Get buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 29, 2020

Haven Life is a good, fast, friendly company. They really care about you as an individual and will give you their undivided attention. They also have a money back policy. You can look over the policy if you're not satisfied you can return it for refund. I would recommend Haven life to anyone looking for life insurance.

Haven Life response

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts, Vanessa! We know protecting your loved ones is incredibly important and we value your choice to use Haven Life.

Welcome to the Haven Life family and please know we're always here if you need!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

Process is easy to set up painless and great experience. Very content with the whole procedure. The rates are reasonable and can be customized to one's needs and preference. I would definitely recommend Haven Life to anybody looking for a term life insurance.

Hi Elenith,

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

Haven Life has been very supportive throughout the application process. Their procedures are clear and to-the-point, yet friendly. There's no urgency to agree. The ability to complete life insurance process online is absolutely fantastic. All my questions were answered using their online chat. Documentations were clear and concise, so be sure to read through your premiums, benefits and conditions. I hope my satisfaction with Haven Life lasts. Thanks to the staff there.

Haven Life response

Thank you for sharing your experience, Ferlin! We're honored to have been able to provide you with an easy process. Please know our team is always here for you whenever you need.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

I tried another company 1st, and they were terrible (Protective Life Insurance - STAY AWAY!). So I canceled them, googled a bit to find out a good company and Haven Life Insurance was at the top, for a good reason. It was easy, fast and reliable. Combine that with good customer service and I'm a believer!

Hi Christopher,

We're so happy to hear we were able to provide a smooth experience for you. We really appreciate you choosing Haven Life and we're always here to help. Thanks for joining the Haven Life Family!

Elle

Original review: June 23, 2020

As a whole, it was a great process. The registration was very simple and easy to understand. Ran into a few issues but customer service was great with everything. Exam was quick and easy, respond and processing time were good.

Original review: May 19, 2020

The application process was informative, transparent, and quick. I did a bit of research prior and the premium is very competitive. Lastly, it was all done electronically! After having an experiment with a pushy insurance agent this was a dream. Being backed by Mass Mutual is an additional bonus.

Haven Life response

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts, Syrina! We know protecting your loved ones is incredibly important and we value your choice to use Haven Life.

Please know we're always here if you need!

Elle

Original review: May 5, 2020

This was really quite easy to do, all from home. The questions were easy to understand, and there are even automatic information bubbles that pop up if you're unsure, simply by hovering over the "yes/no" answers on the site. Highly recommend based on the process. The pricing seems to be similar or better than other companies.

Haven Life response

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with Haven Life, Josh! We're so happy to help you protect those who matter the most.

Elle

Original review: April 16, 2020

Haven Life had the most friction-free on-boarding experience of all life insurers for sign up. Haven Life policy can be bought online without needing to talk to a policy agent. I really liked the swiftness in decision making and low premiums compared to other similar insurers.

Haven Life response

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with Haven Life, Vikram! We're so happy to help you protect those who matter the most.

Elle

Original review: April 7, 2020

Process smooth and efficient. The process was user friendly. Easy to access online application. Approval process was quick. Questions were not very personal and invasive. Payment method was quick and easy. I felt my information was secure. Would recommend this life insurance to family and friends.

Hi Crystal,