4.45/5
Based on 20 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Haven Life created an easier and affordable option for buying term life insurance entirely online in minutes. With Haven Life's groundbreaking InstantTerm process, many qualified, healthy applicants can even finalize their coverage without the need for a medical exam - and without the need to pay more for the convenience. Haven Life is backed and wholly owned by MassMutual, a trusted life insurer with more than 160-years experience.

AMBestRating
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 21, 2018

20 Haven Life Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Hi, I compared Haven/Mass Mutual with two other life insurance companies and found they had the best rate by a significant margin. I asked a bunch of pesky questions and was always given a prompt response. I also like their paperless system, which streamlines the process and reduces waste. I strongly recommend Haven Life for anyone looking for term life insurance.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

It was super easy from start to finish. Great for people who like to do most things online. Great for people who busy and don't have time to be on the phone. I would recommend for anyone who is internet savvy because everything except the medical exam is done online.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Very quick and easy process. Blood work was easy to schedule and quote was available shortly after. Enjoyed the online application and process. It was nice not having a pushy salesperson, but instead given the information for you to make a decision yourself. I would recommend this to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

The online application process is well designed and each stage went very smoothly. The medical exam occurred in a timely manner and the process was wrapped with an online payment setup. My only complaint is that there seems to be only monthly payments versus annual.

Haven Life response
Great minds think alike, Rich. We hope to add additional payment options in the future.

Paya, Haven Life Customer Support

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I'm 53 and in great health. Not overweight. Work out 5 times/week. No alcohol or tobacco. No prescription drugs. No dangerous sports. Yet, once I went through the extensively personal questionnaire giving a LOT of personal info, Haven Life stated that they would require a physical exam. Since Haven is more expensive than others, and a new company, and don't have the long-standing reputation of other companies, why would I go through the same extensive process to get life insurance through Haven vs. another well-known company? Disappointed and feeling misled by Haven's advertising. Not a good thing for a new company trying to build a reputation in this industry it seems.

Haven Life response

Hi Steven -- Thank you for sharing this feedback. We sincerely apologize that you are disappointed with your experience and felt the advertising was misleading. Our InstantTerm, no medical exam process is available to qualified applicants under 45, and we make a conscious effort in our advertising to not overpromise "no medical exam" for that very reason. If you are willing to email help@havenlife.com and share where you saw the ad, we would be eager to revisit the messaging to ensure we're clear.

In regards to the dependability of Haven Life, we are backed and wholly owned by MassMutual - a leading life insurer. They also issue our Haven Term policy. While the questionnaire may have seemed detailed, the questions and information needed are industry standard. We simply lead with it as we try to receive all the information necessary for underwriting up front, instead of coming back later with these questions.
Many insurers offer a general quote on websites, which requires less information, but does not take into consideration important, price impacting insights about the customer to be accurate.

Again, please do share with us where you found the ad because we want to do anything possible to reduce frustration for our customers later in the process.

Sincerely,

Paya

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Haven Life?

Original review: May 24, 2017

I'm turning 50 this year, and am a father to 3 beautiful children, and one fantastic wife. I've owned life insurance in the past, but due to a change in jobs, needed to secure new life insurance. I searched the internet for providers, and found Haven Life, by Mass Mutual, to be the easiest to fill out an application online, and get the process started. Within days, they had set me up to have my medical exam completed, sent me the results online, whereby I could see all my history, and approved me for coverage within a week of my exam. The entire process was professional, easy to understand, and seamless from start to finish. I would highly recommend their services.

Original review: May 23, 2017

I thought this process was efficient and pain free and I feel that I got the best policy for my needs. Came out exactly at the quoted rate. I would definitely recommend Haven Life. The required medical exam was set up so conveniently for me - they came to me at a time that was easy for me... Thank you!!

Original review: May 17, 2017

The process of obtaining life insurance with Haven Life was simple, efficient, and convenient. Scheduling the medical exam was easy and you can have it done at your home. Given my good health, I received an excellent premium for a 20-year term policy. I recommend checking out Haven Life.

Original review: May 16, 2017

My husband and I recently had a baby and we decided to get term life insurance, Haven made this process effortless and efficient. They are professional, friendly and their email correspondence arrives in a timely and accurate format. I would definitely recommend this company to my family and friends.

Original review: April 26, 2017

The Haven Life online application process was simple and straightforward. I received a quick response and wonderful hand-holding from their customer service all the way through. The total time involved was minimal and moved forward efficiently. Scheduling the physical was easy too. I'm happy with my rate as well. Great process!

Original review: March 19, 2017

I apply my life insurance in Haven Life company and it is very reasonable price. Very easy to get approve and all their staff is very helpful and I recommend this company to all my friends and I am very glad to have one now.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

Was provided initial quote based on my current health, and referred to a physical exam. This process took nearly a month. The physical supported the information provided on my application, basically that I am a type 1 diabetic with an A1C below 7.0. For those familiar, this is exceptional control, yet this is the reason I was denied coverage, and is the exact information provided on my application. Sure, it's their "right" to deny for any reason they want, but also our rights as consumers to call out companies that won't stand behind their marketing BS.

Haven Life response

Hi Brian - thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your experience. We sincerely apologize for the frustrations regarding your policy decision. As a new company, we are constantly working on improving our process. I did want to let you know that we have addressed the issue with our underwriting team and are confident we can avoid situations like this in the future.

Sorry we let you down.

- Paya, Haven Life Customer Support

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

I've applied so many times with different companies only to be denied months later. Haven Life kept me updated every step of the way and even emailed me reminders for pending issues. I am so happy to finally have coverage and peace of mind.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

Both my wife and I signed up. The online process was fast, and their decision quick. She didn't require a medical exam, but I did; it was done quickly and efficiently at my home. Overall just a great experience compared to the usual agent method. I'd recommend Haven Life to anyone!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

Seamless way to buy life insurance. If you are looking for a term policy, and don't want the hassle of having a blood draw and lab workup, this is the way to go. You can insure up to 1 million dollars for a 30 year term. Hopefully soon they will allow clients to stack multiple policies.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

It took over a month for them to decide. In fact it took so long I had to resubmit another application because the original one expired. I had perfect lab exam results and in spite of that the amount I have to pay each month is more than a person with health issues. No explanation on why the premium is so much, even with perfect lab results.

Haven Life response

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We sincerely apologize for your unfortunate incident. What you have described is far from the positive customer experience our company strives to provide.

One of our main goals as a company is to provide immediate decisions on applications with accurate quotes up front so we are sorry we weren't able to deliver on those aspects for you.

We would be happy to discuss your policy details with you directly. Please email us directly at: help@havenlife.com or call us at 1-855-744-2836.

Again, thank you telling us about your experience. As a new company we really value and appreciate the feedback you provided so we can ultimately avoid similar situations and truly bring buying life insurance into the 21st century.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

I was delaying getting life insurance because of the long and manual process. Life insurance was the only type that you couldn't purchase online - you could do quotes, but everything else had to be completed in person and via paper. This is 2016! I then finally found Haven Life - it was a new company, but owned by Mass Mutual which is A+ rated. Plus the rates were less than all the other "brick & mortar" companies, and the signup process was super easy! 15 minute application, instant approval, amazing process! Definitely will recommend them and hope other insurance companies take light.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

I was very pleased with Haven Life. True to their word, I was approved and covered immediately. Scheduling the medical test was simple and, shortly thereafter, I received the results and got my insurance in place at the same premium I was initially offered.

Haven Life Company Information

havenlife.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use