Get a Quote

2. Finance
  3. Life Insurance

4.5/5 (101 ratings)

About Haven Life

Haven Life Insurance Agency, LLC is a life insurance startup that created an easy and affordable option for buying term life insurance (issued by MassMutual) online. Haven Life is dedicated to transforming the typically time-consuming and confusing process of applying for life insurance into one that's easier, faster and better. Haven Life is backed and wholly owned by MassMutual, a trusted life insurer with more than 160 years of experience.

Pros

• Additional riders
  • InstantTerm approval process
  • MassMutual coverage

Cons

• Only offers term life

Bottom Line

Haven Life sells term life insurance from MassMutual. It offers simple calculators, a quick approval process and extra protection through riders. Though it only offers term life insurance, Haven Life is competitively priced.

Top Haven Life Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I found the entire process of buying life insurance through Haven Life very easy and affordable. The online portion only took a few minutes and the medical examiner came to my hou...

Verified

Haven Life made the process of applying for and purchasing life insurance so simple! I might have spent five minutes on the entire process from start to finish. The monthly premiu...

What is Haven Life?

Haven Life sells term life insurance with up to $3 million in coverage to customers between 18 and 64 years old. It makes shopping for life insurance simple with its Online Life Insurance Calculator, a quote tool with a minimalist interface. Haven Life offers coverage directly from MassMutual Insurance, an insurance provider with almost two centuries of experience. Haven Life's prices are competitive, and InstantTerm approval is available for qualified, healthy applicants under 59 who need $1 million or less in coverage.

Haven Term is a term life insurance policy (DTC and ICC17DTC in certain states, including NC) issued by Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual), Springfield, MA 01111-0001 and offered exclusively through Haven Life Insurance Agency LLC. Policy and rider form numbers and features may vary by state and may not be available in all states. In NY, Haven Term is DTC-NY. In CA, Haven Term is DTC-CA. The company's agency license number in California is 71922 and in Arkansas, 100139527.

Haven Life Plus (Plus) is the marketing name for the Plus Rider that is included as part of the Haven Term policy. The rider is not available in every state and is subject to change at any time. Neither Haven Life nor MassMutual are responsible for the provision of the benefits and services made accessible under the Plus Rider, which are provided by third-party vendors.

How do I apply for Haven Life insurance?

Haven Life’s application process is simple:

1. Fill out its online life insurance questionnaire by answering a few questions, then choose the coverage amount and policy length you require.
  2. Once you’ve found coverage and a rate you’re happy with, fill out the 25-minute application to get the most accurate rate. For the application, you need your:
    • Driver’s license
    • Social Security number
  3. Finally, answer questions about your lifestyle, health history and family health history to finish your application.

Upon completion of your application, Haven Life’s tools make an algorithmic approval decision based on your health, age and coverage requested. The healthiest individuals younger than 60 who need $1 million or less in coverage may be eligible for InstantTerm, which means they receive coverage immediately. Those who don’t qualify for InstantTerm may need a medical exam and can opt into temporary coverage for up to 90 days.

What policies are offered by Haven Life?

Haven Life offers term life insurance that lasts for 10, 15, 20 or 30 years, although a 30-year term is only available to customers younger than 50. For customers under 60, every Haven Life term life insurance policy can include coverage up to $3 million, while customers from 60 to 64 can only receive coverage up to $1 million. Customers older than 64 cannot receive any coverage from Haven Life, and the company does not offer whole life insurance to applicants of any age.

Riders available for Haven Life policies

Every Haven Life policy comes with add-ons, called riders, that give the policyholder extra protection.

• Accelerated death benefit: If a policyholder becomes terminally ill and is diagnosed as having less than 24 months to live, they can use their coverage to pay for medical expenses while they’re still alive. In this instance, Haven Life subtracts the money used for care from the payout.
  • Guaranteed renewability: Every Haven Life policyholder is guaranteed renewed coverage at the end of their term. Prices may increase, but a policyholder never experiences an outright denial.
  • Waiver of premium: If a policyholder becomes disabled and cannot work for longer than six months, they do not have to pay premiums for the duration of the disability. Note that this rider requires an additional monthly fee and is only available for applicants younger than 50 in California, Washington D.C., Delaware, Florida, North Dakota, New York and South Dakota.
  • Haven Life Plus: Haven Life Plus is included in the purchase of any policy. It allows customers to take advantage of additional services and memberships, including an online legal service for creating wills, free access to fitness and jet lag management apps, secure online document storage and 15% off CVS MinuteClinics. Note that Haven Life Plus is not available in New York, Florida, South Dakota, Washington or North Dakota.

How much does Haven Life insurance cost?

Customers can use Haven Life's online insurance calculator to see a basic policy quote within seconds. If the customer wishes to know more, they can receive a precise rate by taking 25 minutes to fill out a detailed questionnaire. Generally, Haven Life insurance policies cost between $12 and $463 per month, depending on your age, health and family medical history.

A healthy, 40-year-old male can expect to pay:

• $18 a month for a 10-year, $250,000 policy
  • $46 a month for a 20-year, $500,000 policy
  • $118 a month for a 30-year, $750,000 policy

Haven Life determines your actual rates when you complete the application, which may include a medical exam for individuals with a higher risk for poor health. If you are more likely to have health problems, you may have higher rates.

Haven Life FAQ

What is Haven Life Plus?
Haven Life Plus provides additional services for all customers, including:
  • Trust & Will: An online will creation services
  • Aaptiv: An audio-based fitness app
  • Timeshifter: A customized planning service to alleviate jet lag symptoms
  • LifeSite: A secure online vault to store documents
  • MinuteClinic: A 15% discount off any service at a MinuteClinic in CVS or Target

Haven Life Plus is not available in NY, FL, SD, WA or ND.

Does Haven Life require a medical exam?
Unless you qualify for InstantTerm, you typically need to get a medical exam. Haven Life’s medical exams are paid for by the company and typically take about 20 minutes to complete. You can schedule the medical exam at the time and location of your choosing. Haven Life's medical professional reviews your family’s medical history and performs a physical.
Is Haven Life available in my state?
Yes, Haven Life is available nationwide, though Haven Plus services and the waiver of premium rider have state limitations.
What’s the maximum coverage available with Haven Life?

Haven Life bases its maximum available coverage on the applicant's age.

• Policyholders under 50 can take full advantage of Haven Life’s maximum coverage of $3 million with a 30-year term.
  • Policyholders between 50 and 59 can receive a 20-year, $3 million policy.
  • Policyholders between 60 and 64 can obtain a 20-year policy up to $1 million.
How quickly will my Haven Life insurance application get approved?
Many people receive immediate approval with InstantTerm, but others should expect an approval decision seven to 10 days after completing a medical exam.
Is Haven Life an independent insurance agency?
No, Haven Life exclusively offers life insurance from MassMutual Insurance Company.
Can I buy Haven Life whole life insurance?
No, Haven Life's maximum offering is a 30-year term life insurance policy.

Is Haven Life a good insurance company?

Because of its excellent reputation for customer service, simple application process and competitive pricing, we recommend Haven Life for customers seeking term life insurance. The company offers additional protection with the accelerated death benefit, waiver of premium and guaranteed renewability riders. Customers can also keep their health and legal documents in order with Haven Life Plus. The company also has competitive pricing and easy-to-use calculators, but customers seeking whole life insurance need to look elsewhere.

Haven Life Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Haven Life?

Original review: March 11, 2021

Just had my first child so was looking to add life insurance. With a newborn I didn't want to deal with the hassle of a traditional company. All the phone calls and in person visits, who has time for that? Haven was by far the easiest for me to apply to and gave me a better rate compared to others. They look at driving record, credit score, etc. to help make that decision. If you are lacking in those areas you might be better off with a traditional fully underwritten policy.

My only qualm is the policy legalise. To sign a policy you also have to allow access to personal medical records, including psychiatric notes, yet they don't have to follow HIPPA laws once in their possession, (according to the contract) which I am not a fan of as it seems like a bit of an privacy violation and possible way for medical records to leak out. I understand getting a medical baseline for people from records but the way it was written seemed overly broad and creepy. I still have a few weeks to back out, well see.

Haven Life response
Thank you for your thoughtful feedback, and congratulations on the birth of your first child! Customer privacy is a priority for Haven Life. We only gather information that is necessary for us to process your application and service our product offerings. We know that your information is sensitive, and we take the security of your information very seriously. As an insurance agency, we are governed by and adhere to the privacy and security standards in the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act and state-specific laws such as the New York Cybersecurity Requirements for Financial Services Companies. More information about the data we collect and our privacy and security practices can be found in our Privacy Policy. If we can answer any other questions that can help you rest safe and sound knowing that your information is secure, please let us know.
Best,
Paya

Haven Life Customer Success

Get buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 8, 2021

The process went pretty smoothly. The whole process was able be be handled on-line without having to wait to talk to a representative. Even the scheduling of the medical evaluation went smoothly. The whole process is integrated nicely, and rather surprisingly, went through the whole process without any glitches. The only part that was somewhat disappointing was that the final monthly rate that they came back with after the medical evaluation was almost double the price they quoted me initially, and I am a pretty healthy guy.

Original review: March 2, 2021

Getting coverage through Haven was one of the easiest experiences I have had with getting Life Insurance. The process felt non-invasive and efficient. Showing me my options on range of coverage and pricing had me even more excited, because I felt that peace of mind for my family was in reach; and that’s why I’m here. This is as important as investing in a home... and when I got the policy acceptance letter, I didn’t feel “naked” anymore; like something was missing. A weight was lifted in knowing my family will be okay going forward. Thank you, Haven!!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

I knew term life insurance was one of the best ways I could protect my family, but I had put it off for a while -- I thought it would be a long, unpleasant experience, and I didn't know if it would even work out in the end. Finally, I figured I might as well try. I looked at a number of places that reviewed term life insurance providers, and saw a number that had a positive description of Haven. I went through the questionnaire, which was detailed but not as bad as I expected. After that, the lab appointment was pretty easy to schedule -- they gave me the option of coming in, or them coming to me. Rates looked good to me, so I went for it!

Overall, I'm really happy with the process, and feel so much better that I have it in place. There were a few questions I had, and customer service got back to me quickly: 1) I did get access to my full lab results, and 2) after my application was approved, I had the opportunity of seeing rates for different amounts of coverage and time periods.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

After reading reviews on several popular money management sites of different life insurance providers, I decided that I wanted a term life policy and was looking for the easiest way to get it. Haven Life was it. The process was so fast and easy that I honestly thought there was more to do at the end, but there wasn't. No medical check, no phone call, no in-person visits. It was very convenient and safe. Afterwards, I realized I wanted to make a change and called the service line which was almost immediately picked up by a representative who was cordial and authentic. It felt like I was talking to a friend or family member. I highly recommend Haven and have already recommended them to many people.

Original review: April 4, 2021

I’m an introvert and don’t like talking to someone on the phone so the online process was very easy and convenient for me. I had my medical exam done at home by a very nice lady, got my results and quote within a week which was more or less the same than what I was quoted before the medical exam. Overall I’m satisfied with my terms.

Original review: March 31, 2021

I heard about Haven Life insurance company in a show. I checked online and found good customer rating. So I bought a life insurance from this company. I was very much impressed with Prompt service and easiness to buy a life insurance. I hope you keep high quality service and good long distance service as well. Thank you to all the employees of this great organization.

Original review: March 30, 2021

Haven Life provided a very efficient way to obtain term life insurance. I would recommend Haven Life term insurance to family, friends and colleagues. I also found their phone line customer service staff to be exceptionally helpful and informative. I was completely new to this process.

Original review: March 30, 2021

I had a wonderful experience applying for life insurance. The application process was easy and efficient. Responses were prompt and all contacts were helpful and friendly. The exam was easy and convenient. I would recommend this service to all my family and friends.

Original review: March 23, 2021

Really pleased with how easy it was to get a quote and interact with the underwriters. Would recommend this to anyone looking to get a Term Life policy. Only feedback is that it is difficult to see the fill-in fields on the website as everything is white. Correcting this would make the application process more user friendly.

Haven Life Company Information