2. Finance
  3. Life Insurance
Accredited Partner

Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.49/5

Haven Life Insurance Agency, LLC is a life insurance startup that created an easy and affordable option for buying term life insurance (issued by MassMutual) online. Haven Life is dedicated to transforming the typically time-consuming and confusing process of applying for life insurance into one that's easier, faster and better. Haven Life is backed and wholly owned by MassMutual, a trusted life insurer with more than 160 years of experience.

**MassMutual and its subsidiaries C.M. Life Insurance Company and MML Bay State Life Insurance Company are rated by A.M. Best Company as A++ (Superior; Top category of 15). The rating is as of April 1, 2018 and is subject to change. MassMutual has received other ratings from different rating agencies.]

AMBestRating

BOTTOM LINE

Haven Life sells term life insurance from MassMutual. It offers simple calculators, a quick approval process and extra protection through riders. Though it only offers term life insurance, Haven Life is competitively priced.

PROS

• Additional riders
  • InstantTerm approval process
  • MassMutual coverage

CONS

• Only offers term life

Top Haven Life Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Haven Life?

I found the entire process of buying life insurance through Haven Life very easy and affordable. The online portion only took a few minutes and the medical examiner came to my house, which made it very convenient. Also, the monthly payment was exactly what I was quoted, which I appreciate.

Haven Life made the process of applying for and purchasing life insurance so simple! I might have spent five minutes on the entire process from start to finish. The monthly premium amount is also substantially lower than other companies I had priced. This was a win on all fronts.

Haven Life Get a Quote

What is Haven Life?

Haven Life sells term life insurance with up to $3 million in coverage to customers between 18 and 64 years old. It makes shopping for life insurance simple with its Online Life Insurance Calculator, a quote tool with a minimalist interface. Haven Life offers coverage directly from MassMutual Insurance, an insurance provider with almost two centuries of experience. Haven Life's prices are competitive, and InstantTerm approval is available for qualified, healthy applicants under 59 who need $1 million or less in coverage.

Haven Term is a term life insurance policy (DTC and ICC17DTC in certain states, including NC) issued by Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual), Springfield, MA 01111-0001 and offered exclusively through Haven Life Insurance Agency LLC. Policy and rider form numbers and features may vary by state and may not be available in all states. In NY, Haven Term is DTC-NY. In CA, Haven Term is DTC-CA. The company's agency license number in California is 71922 and in Arkansas, 100139527.

Haven Life Plus (Plus) is the marketing name for the Plus Rider that is included as part of the Haven Term policy. The rider is not available in every state and is subject to change at any time. Neither Haven Life nor MassMutual are responsible for the provision of the benefits and services made accessible under the Plus Rider, which are provided by third-party vendors.

How do I apply for Haven Life insurance?

Haven Life’s application process is simple:

1. Fill out its online life insurance questionnaire by answering a few questions, then choose the coverage amount and policy length you require.
  2. Once you’ve found coverage and a rate you’re happy with, fill out the 25-minute application to get the most accurate rate. For the application, you need your:
    • Driver’s license
    • Social Security number
  3. Finally, answer questions about your lifestyle, health history and family health history to finish your application.

Upon completion of your application, Haven Life’s tools make an algorithmic approval decision based on your health, age and coverage requested. The healthiest individuals younger than 60 who need $1 million or less in coverage may be eligible for InstantTerm, which means they receive coverage immediately. Those who don’t qualify for InstantTerm may need a medical exam and can opt into temporary coverage for up to 90 days.

What policies are offered by Haven Life?

Haven Life offers term life insurance that lasts for 10, 15, 20 or 30 years, although a 30-year term is only available to customers younger than 50. For customers under 60, every Haven Life term life insurance policy can include coverage up to $3 million, while customers from 60 to 64 can only receive coverage up to $1 million. Customers older than 64 cannot receive any coverage from Haven Life, and the company does not offer whole life insurance to applicants of any age.

Riders available for Haven Life policies

Every Haven Life policy comes with add-ons, called riders, that give the policyholder extra protection.

• Accelerated death benefit: If a policyholder becomes terminally ill and is diagnosed as having less than 24 months to live, they can use their coverage to pay for medical expenses while they’re still alive. In this instance, Haven Life subtracts the money used for care from the payout.
  • Guaranteed renewability: Every Haven Life policyholder is guaranteed renewed coverage at the end of their term. Prices may increase, but a policyholder never experiences an outright denial.
  • Waiver of premium: If a policyholder becomes disabled and cannot work for longer than six months, they do not have to pay premiums for the duration of the disability. Note that this rider requires an additional monthly fee and is only available for applicants younger than 50 in California, Washington D.C., Delaware, Florida, North Dakota, New York and South Dakota.
  • Haven Life Plus: Haven Life Plus is included in the purchase of any policy. It allows customers to take advantage of additional services and memberships, including an online legal service for creating wills, free access to fitness and jet lag management apps, secure online document storage and 15% off CVS MinuteClinics. Note that Haven Life Plus is not available in New York, Florida, South Dakota, Washington or North Dakota.

How much does Haven Life insurance cost?

Customers can use Haven Life's online insurance calculator to see a basic policy quote within seconds. If the customer wishes to know more, they can receive a precise rate by taking 25 minutes to fill out a detailed questionnaire. Generally, Haven Life insurance policies cost between $12 and $463 per month, depending on your age, health and family medical history.

A healthy, 40-year-old male can expect to pay:

• $18 a month for a 10-year, $250,000 policy
  • $46 a month for a 20-year, $500,000 policy
  • $118 a month for a 30-year, $750,000 policy

Haven Life determines your actual rates when you complete the application, which may include a medical exam for individuals with a higher risk for poor health. If you are more likely to have health problems, you may have higher rates.

Haven Life FAQ

What is Haven Life Plus?
Haven Life Plus provides additional services for all customers, including:
  • Trust & Will: An online will creation services
  • Aaptiv: An audio-based fitness app
  • Timeshifter: A customized planning service to alleviate jet lag symptoms
  • LifeSite: A secure online vault to store documents
  • MinuteClinic: A 15% discount off any service at a MinuteClinic in CVS or Target

Haven Life Plus is not available in NY, FL, SD, WA or ND.

Does Haven Life require a medical exam?
Unless you qualify for InstantTerm, you typically need to get a medical exam. Haven Life’s medical exams are paid for by the company and typically take about 20 minutes to complete. You can schedule the medical exam at the time and location of your choosing. Haven Life's medical professional reviews your family’s medical history and performs a physical.
Is Haven Life available in my state?
Yes, Haven Life is available nationwide, though Haven Plus services and the waiver of premium rider have state limitations.
What’s the maximum coverage available with Haven Life?

Haven Life bases its maximum available coverage on the applicant's age.

• Policyholders under 50 can take full advantage of Haven Life’s maximum coverage of $3 million with a 30-year term.
  • Policyholders between 50 and 59 can receive a 20-year, $3 million policy.
  • Policyholders between 60 and 64 can obtain a 20-year policy up to $1 million.
How quickly will my Haven Life insurance application get approved?
Many people receive immediate approval with InstantTerm, but others should expect an approval decision seven to 10 days after completing a medical exam.
Is Haven Life an independent insurance agency?
No, Haven Life exclusively offers life insurance from MassMutual Insurance Company.
Can I buy Haven Life whole life insurance?
No, Haven Life's maximum offering is a 30-year term life insurance policy.

Is Haven Life a good insurance company?

Because of its excellent reputation for customer service, simple application process and competitive pricing, we recommend Haven Life for customers seeking term life insurance. The company offers additional protection with the accelerated death benefit, waiver of premium and guaranteed renewability riders. Customers can also keep their health and legal documents in order with Haven Life Plus. The company also has competitive pricing and easy-to-use calculators, but customers seeking whole life insurance need to look elsewhere.

Haven Life Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Haven Life?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

I knew term life insurance was one of the best ways I could protect my family, but I had put it off for a while -- I thought it would be a long, unpleasant experience, and I didn't know if it would even work out in the end. Finally, I figured I might as well try. I looked at a number of places that reviewed term life insurance providers, and saw a number that had a positive description of Haven. I went through the questionnaire, which was detailed but not as bad as I expected. After that, the lab appointment was pretty easy to schedule -- they gave me the option of coming in, or them coming to me. Rates looked good to me, so I went for it!

Overall, I'm really happy with the process, and feel so much better that I have it in place. There were a few questions I had, and customer service got back to me quickly: 1) I did get access to my full lab results, and 2) after my application was approved, I had the opportunity of seeing rates for different amounts of coverage and time periods.

Get buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

After reading reviews on several popular money management sites of different life insurance providers, I decided that I wanted a term life policy and was looking for the easiest way to get it. Haven Life was it. The process was so fast and easy that I honestly thought there was more to do at the end, but there wasn't. No medical check, no phone call, no in-person visits. It was very convenient and safe. Afterwards, I realized I wanted to make a change and called the service line which was almost immediately picked up by a representative who was cordial and authentic. It felt like I was talking to a friend or family member. I highly recommend Haven and have already recommended them to many people.

Original review: April 17, 2020

I shopped around a bit and found that Haven's prices were right for me for the amount of term coverage I was seeking for my family. I was drawn to check them out by a consumer advocate site that indicated that they offered a streamlined process to obtaining life insurance, and Haven did not disappoint. Should the policy ever need to be paid out, I only can hope that the process will be as easy for my loved ones as it was for me to get signed on.

Haven Life response

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts, Kevin! We know protecting your loved ones is incredibly important and we value your choice to use Haven Life.

Please know we're always here if you need!

Elle

Original review: March 29, 2020

Haven Life is a good, fast, friendly company. They really care about you as an individual and will give you their undivided attention. They also have a money back policy. You can look over the policy if you're not satisfied you can return it for refund. I would recommend Haven life to anyone looking for life insurance.

Haven Life response

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts, Vanessa! We know protecting your loved ones is incredibly important and we value your choice to use Haven Life.

Welcome to the Haven Life family and please know we're always here if you need!

Elle

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

Haven Life has been very supportive throughout the application process. Their procedures are clear and to-the-point, yet friendly. There's no urgency to agree. The ability to complete life insurance process online is absolutely fantastic. All my questions were answered using their online chat. Documentations were clear and concise, so be sure to read through your premiums, benefits and conditions. I hope my satisfaction with Haven Life lasts. Thanks to the staff there.

Haven Life response

Thank you for sharing your experience, Ferlin! We're honored to have been able to provide you with an easy process. Please know our team is always here for you whenever you need.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

I think the whole experience was very quick and simple and easy. With so much going on right now, I really appreciate that. I have a peace of mind knowing I handled my insurance needs. And the rates on the term policies are wonderful!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

Everyone did an amazing job. I probably wouldn't have gotten around to setting up life insurance if it wasn't for the excellent customer service at Haven Life. They sent someone to my house for my medical exam, making it very convenient.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

I've obtained the term life insurance policy in a few days from the online application I made. No agent was needed, everything was online, and the procedures have been clear. So far so good, let's see how everything will go.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2020

This was the easiest process I have ever experienced. It was super user friendly, quick, and easy to follow. I would highly recommend Haven Life Insurance to anyone looking to buy life insurance. Only suggestion for improvement would be to make it clear the monthly payment will stay the same for the life of the policy term chosen once you give the quoted monthly payment. Very happy customer????

Original review: Aug. 25, 2020

Signing up for Haven life insurance was a great experience for me. It took a few minutes to get my quote and then only a few more minutes to finish signing up! Everything was very easy. I am very happy with Haven Life!

Haven Life Company Information