4.56/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Haven Life Insurance Agency, LLC is a life insurance startup that created an easy and affordable option for buying term life insurance (issued by MassMutual) online. Driven by a mission to make life less hard, Haven Life is transforming the typically time-consuming and confusing process of applying for life insurance into one that's easier, faster and just plain better. Haven Life is backed and wholly owned by MassMutual, a trusted life insurer with more than 160-years experience.

**MassMutual and its subsidiaries C.M. Life Insurance Company and MML Bay State Life Insurance Company are rated by A.M. Best Company as A++ (Superior; Top category of 15). The rating is as of April 1, 2018 and is subject to change. MassMutual has received other ratings from different rating agencies.]

AMBestRating
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

43 Haven Life Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: July 28, 2018

The process was so smooth, intuitive and fast that I, for a moment got confused if the final offer was an estimate or the real offer. Just amazing!! The system electronically verified financial and medical fitness in real time and issued an acceptance. This is how insurance should be.

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 19, 2018

The quoting process was very easy and I was pleased with the underwriting results in that the quote matched the policy premium exactly. I gave the experience four stars instead of five because the whole process took a little longer than I feel like it should have taken.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Great rate for a term life policy provided by MassMutual. Better than agents were quoting for MassMutual policies. Process was easy. Medical is needed for 45+, but is only a 20 minute at home process. After approval provided, you can adjust your term and amount and see price changes instantly before you decide.

Original review: July 4, 2018

The online process application was very convenient. For the medical exam, it was easy as you can have it done in your own home and you can check your lab results online. Communication with Paya was always prompt and she helped to resolve all my concerns. Thank you Haven Life!

Original review: June 29, 2018

The online application process is well designed and the medical exam was convenient and straightforward. Haven Life gave me a great rate and it's good that the policy is really through Mass Mutual. Heads up: They only offer monthly payment options via a ACH bank account (at this time 6/2018). This was not completely clear to me at the start. A yearly payment option and a credit card option would be appreciated.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Haven Life?

Original review: June 23, 2018

First, Haven Life is expensive. Second, Haven Life is a new company with not very strong finance compared to large insurance companies. That means it might not exist after 30 years. Third, Haven Life advertises that it does not require a medical exam. But, that is not true. After spending almost one hour on the application, you will meet the statement that you need to have a medical exam. Haven Life will lie anything to make people to apply. Haven Life does not care whether you wasted your valuable time or not. All Haven Life cares is to make you apply.

Hi Steve,

We're sorry you weren't pleased with your experience. We've worked hard to streamline the application and approval process for many people but are aware that it can be time intensive for some. By nature, medically underwritten term life insurance is more detailed because it requires information about your lifestyle and health history. For many, this keeps pricing more affordable since the insurer isn't making any assumptions about your health.

To clarify the stability of the policy, Haven Life is backed and wholly owned by MassMutual, which has 167 years of experience in the insurance industry and has an A++ rating from A.M. Best, denoting superior financial strength. Every policy secured through Haven Life is issued by MassMutual.

Regarding a medical exam, we can offer a no-exam process for qualified applicants up to age 45 who are applying for up to $1M of coverage, provided we have enough information to make a decision from the application materials and other data we gather. If there is a detailed medical or prescription history, or if there is very little information to go on, we will require a medical exam to be taken. We strive to make it clear in our advertising that a medical exam may be required, and we are sorry to hear you feel this was not communicated to you.

Thank you for sharing your feedback, Steve. If you have further questions or concerns, please contact us at help@havenlife.com and we will be glad to help.

Best,

Alex, Haven Life Customer Support

Original review: April 22, 2018

Simple and easy to follow and understand process made the application like a breeze. Very impressed with the efficiency and clarity of material. The whole process is so self explanatory, never need any live personal help. Would highly recommend anyone for life insurance policies.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Good communication, my issue is it took 5 months to get an answer and it would have been longer if I did not contact them. I was in absolutely no rush but contacted them being curious. Good rate, happy deal with them.

Original review: April 17, 2018

The entire process was fast and easy, including the medical exam. I applied online and within a few days I completed the medical exam in the comfort of my home. I would definitely recommend Haven Life to my family and friends. I am so glad that I chose Haven Life.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I have been through life insurance applications with 2 other companies and they didn’t work out for one reason or another. Applying to Haven Life was the easiest by far!! They even had specialists follow up with me via email to check in and provide a personal contact in the case that I needed one to get through the process.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Navigating the website and applying online was very easy and simple. Live chat stands by to help with any issues and is friendly and helpful. There was an issue with getting the policy I wanted but after I explained my situation, the issue was resolved and I obtained exactly what I wanted - I could not be happier!!! The whole process has been the easiest I have ever been involved with - I am a very satisfied customer and will recommend this company and this online application to everyone I know!

Original review: April 11, 2018

It was very easy to navigate Haven Life’s online application process. I loved being able to do everything from the privacy of my own home when it was most convenient for me. Their rates are competitive and entire process was quick and easy.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Haven Life made the process very easy. Their online application and communication with me throughout the process was convenient. I was required to do a health exam but that was scheduled quickly and a nurse came to my home which made it easy.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I was looking for a modern approach to life insurance and I found it! All the forms are online and easy to use. The support team was easy to reach when I had a question. The entire process was super simple and straightforward. Highly recommended!

Original review: April 5, 2018

Want answers fast? Polite representatives that deliver on their promises. When I needed help with my medical exam, Paya said she would be looking out for it and she did! Didn’t have to take to twice. Haven Life Insurance was prompt, courteous, and diligent in the whole process of getting a new policy. They are modern and EASY! Loved the whole process!

Original review: April 5, 2018

I looked up Haven Life after attempting to sign up with another company that had horrible customer service. The online application was simple and easy followed by the medical exam. The process was quick and painless. My husband and I were approved in about a week (maybe less). Would absolutely recommend Haven Life to all and their families???

Original review: April 4, 2018

Haven Life worked with me to get underwriting, even though my doctor's office closed in the last year and provided a way to upload medical records securely. Everything was handled professionally and quickly. The new policy was issued in less about 30 days.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Exam was fast and results were immediate. Great Doctor relationship and policy was easy to navigate. Customer service was also within reach and they answered the most challenging questions that I had in mind for them. I will recommend families to patronize them.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I was trying to get life insurance with this company and they had me filled out all these question and all this work and even came to my house and took blood. And a complete waste of time and patient be aware this company isnt clear at all because I stated from the start that I was diabetic and after all the trouble and the test and answering question I didnt get accepted without any explaining or consideration whatsoever from either the tech that came to my house or the company itself. Do not try this company. Not trustworthy or honest or clear on anything they do. Stay away and be aware.

Hi Raymond,

Thank you for your feedback, and apologies that we were unable to offer a policy. We do our best to convey decisions as soon as possible, but in some situations, it is challenging for the underwriting team to make a decision on the application information alone. The underwriting team may then need to review current medical information in the form of lab results in order to ensure the decision they make takes into account all pertinent information. It is not the intention of the underwriters to decline coverage, but sometimes coverage cannot be offered with the current MassMutual underwriting guidelines. We do apologize for the disappointment regarding the time you were waiting for a decision, and we are working on extending the variety of coverage options in the near future.

Thank you again for your feedback, and if you have any other suggestions, please feel free to email us at help@havenlife.com.

Alex, Haven Life Customer Support

Original review: March 22, 2018

When I started looking at adding a term life policy there were a lot of options. I chose Haven Life because of its association with Mass Mutual. The online application was simple. I called for clarification of a item, the customer service rep was very prompt with a reply. The only shortfall was the physical. Read more at the end. After the physical, the turn around time for my approval was just over a week. I was approved at the original quoted price. Be honest on your application questionnaire for similar results.

Their testing company (3rd party) scheduled me for a in lab physical. Once I got there they told me they couldn't do it. Not a happy camper (I had fasted and scheduled off from work). I recontacted their testing company and rescheduled a in home physical. The technician called to say she was running late, which I appreciated. Her estimated time of 1/2 hour turned into an hour. It's all over and the results were good, I just wish it had gone smoother.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I am a shop before I buy 60 year old man. I research reviews, value, quality and ease of acquiring my term life insurance purchase. Haven Life had the lowest quoted price on the internet, and a breeze to apply online. I quickly got email replies, then set up a health exam to my house like clockwork. Here's the best part, my checkup was so good, they lowered my quoted rate per month. I was quoted twice as much with other well known companies, even AARP sponsored insurer. I don't work for any insurance companies nor am I paid to review Haven Life, but I'm Happy and it's all for my Wife.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Hi, I compared Haven/Mass Mutual with two other life insurance companies and found they had the best rate by a significant margin. I asked a bunch of pesky questions and was always given a prompt response. I also like their paperless system, which streamlines the process and reduces waste. I strongly recommend Haven Life for anyone looking for term life insurance.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

It was super easy from start to finish. Great for people who like to do most things online. Great for people who busy and don't have time to be on the phone. I would recommend for anyone who is internet savvy because everything except the medical exam is done online.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Very quick and easy process. Blood work was easy to schedule and quote was available shortly after. Enjoyed the online application and process. It was nice not having a pushy salesperson, but instead given the information for you to make a decision yourself. I would recommend this to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

The online application process is well designed and each stage went very smoothly. The medical exam occurred in a timely manner and the process was wrapped with an online payment setup. My only complaint is that there seems to be only monthly payments versus annual.

Haven Life response
Great minds think alike, Rich. We hope to add additional payment options in the future.

Paya, Haven Life Customer Support

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I was looking for insurance for my wife and me. Both of us are in our late 30's, non-smokers, ideal weight, and no chronic health issues or family history of issues. I qualified for the ultra-preferred (non-smoking) plan for Haven Life. I say this to point out that this process should have been pretty simple. The Haven Life process was quick and painless. I completed the physical (not everyone needs to do this for Haven) component for both providers on the same day, by the same person. Haven Life was able to get me a quote 3 weeks before Zanders. Both quotes were comparable with Haven being slightly better.

My wife went with Zanders and had her physical (Zanders requires physicals) done at the same time I did. She still hasn't gotten a quote and has had Zanders return to her multiple time saying they need extra paperwork. I've had my life insurance for a month, and my wife is still going through the Zanders process with additional information requests. For reference, we both completed the physical on December 9th, and I was insured by January 11th with Haven Life, and I could have been insured by late December, but I was giving Zanders more time to give me a quote. As of January 24th my wife still hasn’t gotten a quote.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

My previous term life policy expired and was set to triple in cost. Haven Life gave me more coverage, for a longer term, at a much lower cost. Getting the physical locally and the coordination with Haven Life by the lab was totally problem free.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I'm 53 and in great health. Not overweight. Work out 5 times/week. No alcohol or tobacco. No prescription drugs. No dangerous sports. Yet, once I went through the extensively personal questionnaire giving a LOT of personal info, Haven Life stated that they would require a physical exam. Since Haven is more expensive than others, and a new company, and don't have the long-standing reputation of other companies, why would I go through the same extensive process to get life insurance through Haven vs. another well-known company? Disappointed and feeling misled by Haven's advertising. Not a good thing for a new company trying to build a reputation in this industry it seems.

Haven Life response

Hi Steven -- Thank you for sharing this feedback. We sincerely apologize that you are disappointed with your experience and felt the advertising was misleading. Our InstantTerm, no medical exam process is available to qualified applicants under 45, and we make a conscious effort in our advertising to not overpromise "no medical exam" for that very reason. If you are willing to email help@havenlife.com and share where you saw the ad, we would be eager to revisit the messaging to ensure we're clear.

In regards to the dependability of Haven Life, we are backed and wholly owned by MassMutual - a leading life insurer. They also issue our Haven Term policy. While the questionnaire may have seemed detailed, the questions and information needed are industry standard. We simply lead with it as we try to receive all the information necessary for underwriting up front, instead of coming back later with these questions.
Many insurers offer a general quote on websites, which requires less information, but does not take into consideration important, price impacting insights about the customer to be accurate.

Again, please do share with us where you found the ad because we want to do anything possible to reduce frustration for our customers later in the process.

Sincerely,

Paya

Original review: May 24, 2017

I'm turning 50 this year, and am a father to 3 beautiful children, and one fantastic wife. I've owned life insurance in the past, but due to a change in jobs, needed to secure new life insurance. I searched the internet for providers, and found Haven Life, by Mass Mutual, to be the easiest to fill out an application online, and get the process started. Within days, they had set me up to have my medical exam completed, sent me the results online, whereby I could see all my history, and approved me for coverage within a week of my exam. The entire process was professional, easy to understand, and seamless from start to finish. I would highly recommend their services.

Original review: May 23, 2017

I thought this process was efficient and pain free and I feel that I got the best policy for my needs. Came out exactly at the quoted rate. I would definitely recommend Haven Life. The required medical exam was set up so conveniently for me - they came to me at a time that was easy for me... Thank you!!

Haven Life Company Information