4.58/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Haven Life Insurance Agency, LLC is a life insurance startup that created an easy and affordable option for buying term life insurance (issued by MassMutual) online. Driven by a mission to make life less hard, Haven Life is transforming the typically time-consuming and confusing process of applying for life insurance into one that's easier, faster and just plain better. Haven Life is backed and wholly owned by MassMutual, a trusted life insurer with more than 160-years experience.

**MassMutual and its subsidiaries C.M. Life Insurance Company and MML Bay State Life Insurance Company are rated by A.M. Best Company as A++ (Superior; Top category of 15). The rating is as of April 1, 2018 and is subject to change. MassMutual has received other ratings from different rating agencies.]

AMBestRating
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

56 Haven Life Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I wasn't immediately approved but during the wait they were very informative. They stayed in contact at intervals letting know why more information was needed, an approximate time in which I would have a response and an apology for the wait (separate emails). I was very impressed.

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Applying with Haven Life was a simple process. At age 65, I didn't think it was possible to qualify for affordable life insurance. I was wrong. I qualified for $100,000 for $56/month! I did have to take an exam but that is understandable. Now I can rest easy knowing my family will be taken care of if something happens to me. Thank you Haven Life.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

The whole process was easy. I applied online, nurse came over to do medical part and then few days later I got approved for the rate I applied for. Just awesome. I can only speak of the process since I’m new.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I found the entire process of buying life insurance through Haven Life very easy and affordable. The online portion only took a few minutes and the medical examiner came to my house, which made it very convenient. Also, the monthly payment was exactly what I was quoted, which I appreciate.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Straightforward questioning and no nonsense. Great to see I didn’t need a health exam to qualify. My wife required a health exam and that was quick and easy. Very pleased with the service! I will recommend to everyone who needs life insurance.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Haven Life?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I will start by saying that the process of the application and medical exam are not as simple as Haven Life portrays it to be. It took almost 3 weeks until I was ultimately denied coverage. My medical screening came back perfect, I was told reason for denial was 10+ year old misdemeanor traffic violation(s). Therefore they wasted my time with the medical exam. Understand that the information that you must provide for this application is very in depth, it concerns me that I provided them with such sensitive information only to be denied coverage. If you are not in perfect health and your past is not squeaky clean this company probably will not approve your application.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I was skeptical at first because I thought the process could not be this fast and easy. It was!! This has been the easiest, painless and quickest process in purchasing Life Insurance. All of my questions were answered quickly and in a very pleasant manner. I highly recommend Haven Life!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

It was a easy process. They sent me to a place to get like an insurance physical that was a easy process. It didn’t take much time out my day. Got my result in like 2 days. I would highly recommend them. Premium are cheap also. I know this is a highly recognized company.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I was very pleased with the overall experience that I had securing life insurance for myself. The online website was very helpful and guided me to the proper items that I needed to address. I also had a very good experience with the nurse that came to my home to administer the physical exam. She was promptly on time, very courteous and respectful, and made me feel very comfortable. Overall, it was a very good experience.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I was pleased with the whole process, it was simple, straightforward and there was no pressure to purchase more life insurance. After receiving my results I was able to see my terms, cost and select what was best. The process was transparent and user-friendly.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I was very pleased to purchase additional life insurance at a fair price. The follow-up process for the physical and blood work was prompt, easy and NOT time-consuming. I also appreciated how the online process was easy to follow and included options in my coverage for me to select.

Original review: July 28, 2018

My experience with Haven Life customer service has been very positive. Paya provides excellent customer service and very thoughtful and caring. She is professional and wonderful. Also, Luis from customer service is excellent and very responsive also. Overall, I am very satisfied with Haven Life. Thank you!

Original review: July 28, 2018

The process was so smooth, intuitive and fast that I, for a moment got confused if the final offer was an estimate or the real offer. Just amazing!! The system electronically verified financial and medical fitness in real time and issued an acceptance. This is how insurance should be.

Original review: July 19, 2018

The quoting process was very easy and I was pleased with the underwriting results in that the quote matched the policy premium exactly. I gave the experience four stars instead of five because the whole process took a little longer than I feel like it should have taken.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I saw and add about Haven Life and I filled out a quick online questionnaire. Within minutes I had a new life insurance policy. I was amazed at the price which was nearly half of what I was paying for another policy. I also liked the interaction I had with the portal which was very pleasant. I highly recommend this service. I am also glad that it is part of Mass Mutual which is a great company.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Great rate for a term life policy provided by MassMutual. Better than agents were quoting for MassMutual policies. Process was easy. Medical is needed for 45+, but is only a 20 minute at home process. After approval provided, you can adjust your term and amount and see price changes instantly before you decide.

Original review: July 4, 2018

The online process application was very convenient. For the medical exam, it was easy as you can have it done in your own home and you can check your lab results online. Communication with Paya was always prompt and she helped to resolve all my concerns. Thank you Haven Life!

Original review: June 29, 2018

The online application process is well designed and the medical exam was convenient and straightforward. Haven Life gave me a great rate and it's good that the policy is really through Mass Mutual. Heads up: They only offer monthly payment options via a ACH bank account (at this time 6/2018). This was not completely clear to me at the start. A yearly payment option and a credit card option would be appreciated.

Original review: June 23, 2018

First, Haven Life is expensive. Second, Haven Life is a new company with not very strong finance compared to large insurance companies. That means it might not exist after 30 years. Third, Haven Life advertises that it does not require a medical exam. But, that is not true. After spending almost one hour on the application, you will meet the statement that you need to have a medical exam. Haven Life will lie anything to make people to apply. Haven Life does not care whether you wasted your valuable time or not. All Haven Life cares is to make you apply.

Haven Life response

Hi Steve,

We're sorry you weren't pleased with your experience. We've worked hard to streamline the application and approval process for many people but are aware that it can be time intensive for some. By nature, medically underwritten term life insurance is more detailed because it requires information about your lifestyle and health history. For many, this keeps pricing more affordable since the insurer isn't making any assumptions about your health.

To clarify the stability of the policy, Haven Life is backed and wholly owned by MassMutual, which has 167 years of experience in the insurance industry and has an A++ rating from A.M. Best, denoting superior financial strength. Every policy secured through Haven Life is issued by MassMutual.

Regarding a medical exam, we can offer a no-exam process for qualified applicants up to age 45 who are applying for up to $1M of coverage, provided we have enough information to make a decision from the application materials and other data we gather. If there is a detailed medical or prescription history, or if there is very little information to go on, we will require a medical exam to be taken. We strive to make it clear in our advertising that a medical exam may be required, and we are sorry to hear you feel this was not communicated to you.

Thank you for sharing your feedback, Steve. If you have further questions or concerns, please contact us at help@havenlife.com and we will be glad to help.

Best,

Alex, Haven Life Customer Support

Original review: April 22, 2018

Simple and easy to follow and understand process made the application like a breeze. Very impressed with the efficiency and clarity of material. The whole process is so self explanatory, never need any live personal help. Would highly recommend anyone for life insurance policies.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Good communication, my issue is it took 5 months to get an answer and it would have been longer if I did not contact them. I was in absolutely no rush but contacted them being curious. Good rate, happy deal with them.

Original review: April 17, 2018

The entire process was fast and easy, including the medical exam. I applied online and within a few days I completed the medical exam in the comfort of my home. I would definitely recommend Haven Life to my family and friends. I am so glad that I chose Haven Life.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I have been through life insurance applications with 2 other companies and they didn’t work out for one reason or another. Applying to Haven Life was the easiest by far!! They even had specialists follow up with me via email to check in and provide a personal contact in the case that I needed one to get through the process.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Navigating the website and applying online was very easy and simple. Live chat stands by to help with any issues and is friendly and helpful. There was an issue with getting the policy I wanted but after I explained my situation, the issue was resolved and I obtained exactly what I wanted - I could not be happier!!! The whole process has been the easiest I have ever been involved with - I am a very satisfied customer and will recommend this company and this online application to everyone I know!

Original review: April 11, 2018

It was very easy to navigate Haven Life’s online application process. I loved being able to do everything from the privacy of my own home when it was most convenient for me. Their rates are competitive and entire process was quick and easy.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Haven Life made the process very easy. Their online application and communication with me throughout the process was convenient. I was required to do a health exam but that was scheduled quickly and a nurse came to my home which made it easy.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I was looking for a modern approach to life insurance and I found it! All the forms are online and easy to use. The support team was easy to reach when I had a question. The entire process was super simple and straightforward. Highly recommended!

Original review: April 5, 2018

Want answers fast? Polite representatives that deliver on their promises. When I needed help with my medical exam, Paya said she would be looking out for it and she did! Didn’t have to take to twice. Haven Life Insurance was prompt, courteous, and diligent in the whole process of getting a new policy. They are modern and EASY! Loved the whole process!

Original review: April 5, 2018

I looked up Haven Life after attempting to sign up with another company that had horrible customer service. The online application was simple and easy followed by the medical exam. The process was quick and painless. My husband and I were approved in about a week (maybe less). Would absolutely recommend Haven Life to all and their families???

Original review: April 4, 2018

Haven Life worked with me to get underwriting, even though my doctor's office closed in the last year and provided a way to upload medical records securely. Everything was handled professionally and quickly. The new policy was issued in less about 30 days.

Haven Life Company Information