AIG Life Insurance
2.27/5

Looking for a life insurance company?

AIG Life Insurance

AIG has insurance policies that protect your financial health, including life, travel and auto insurance. AIG isn't an InsuraMatch partner. Call InsuraMatch to get multiple auto insurance quotes and policy advice in just 10 minutes. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

190 AIG Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 7, 2018

AIG Life was able to give us the best product at the best price and their customer service was outstanding. I love the quality of customer service that they provide. They are always there to answer any questions you may have and never make you feel like a burden for asking them. The representative made sure that all of our questions were answered and we were comfortable with the product we had chosen.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Policy was purchased as a supplemental life insurance to help cover expenses while caring for my 80-year old mother. One and one half times payment guaranteed to be paid out if death occurs within two years of initial coverage. She passed away before the end of the 2 year initial coverage period. Payout was efficient and customer service was excellent and efficient as well. If I didn't have a policy of my own, I would purchase for myself.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: March 4, 2018

AIG almost went bankrupt year or two ago. Not instilling confidence in me. But, if I cancel I lose coverage, and have to shop again, higher prices. I fear they won't be around to pay up in the end.

Original review: March 3, 2018

The policy is good, I've had it for going on three years. The price is decent, I would recommend that you get it while you're young. You can get more Bang for your Buck. They automatically get payment straight from the Bank, so it's never really noticed. The first thing they should leave you with a very clear contact number. I had to call so many numbers before I actually was put in contact with the company. The second thing is being able to borrow against your policy. I was told it was available after two years, but it's not... It has to be three years. They need to make information like this readily available. Don't need to hunt. I had dealing with this company back in 1990s. They were fabulous... so I went with them. All in all they're a great company, very helpful, and patience... they have loads!!! Rates are steady, and the agent that came out was a real helper. I tell all my friends.

Original review: March 2, 2018

AIG was my Health Insurance provider for Short Term Disability. Admitted into the Hospital June 20th 2017 for a Descending Aortic Aneurysm, two weeks in ICU.

One month in the Hospital with one week in patient Rehab. My Vascular Surgeon would not allow me to return to work until November. AIG paid for one month Disability, I have been on the phone numerous times with AIG representatives to no avail. I was in Rehabilitation for a total of five months per my Vascular Surgeon. Definite RIPOFF.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AIG?

Original review: March 1, 2018

My husband and I went in without knowing a lot about life insurance, what we needed, how to go about it, and they helped us with each step of the way. Our purchase and study of life insurance was simple because of the employees. This is a amazing company. We had never heard anything really about MoO, but we still took the leap and went into to office and met with them. It was a great experience from the beginning all the way to the end.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I got AIG life insurance from my employer and union. They want me to get one. I like the plan because it is automatically taken out of my paycheck every pay period. It leaves me some sort of peace of mind but I would still not want to spend much. I dislike the high premium of the plan because I am still in my 20's so it is ridiculous. Also I like that they used to sponsor my favorite soccer team Manchester United but I don't like that they don't anymore. They should sponsor Manchester United again. They are getting better and it will fit them.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I took out a life insurance policy with Franklin Life Insurance nearly forty years ago. My Franklin policy was bought out by AIG decades ago. Many years ago my policy reached a point where I was earning enough dividends that I could pay my annual premium with my dividends. Each year I would simply call AIG and request they pay my annual premium from my dividends. It took 5 minutes and I received email confirmation that my premium was paid. Two years ago when my annual premium was due, I called AIG and requested my premium be paid from my dividends. I was told I can no longer do that over the phone and was told they would mail me a form. The form never arrived and my 30 day grace period was approaching so I sent a check afraid they would cancel my policy before I could utilize my dividends to pay.

My annual premium is again due for 2018 and I called AIG 1/29/18 to request they use dividends to pay my premium. The person answering the phone is from "Insurance Services Alliance One". Again told I cannot do this over the phone and they would mail me a form. No form received. I called again 2/5/18 (answered by Insurance Services Alliance One) and was told I would have it in my mail on 2/7/18. 2/7/18 came and no form. I again paid my premium with a check and sent the check via certified mail to assure they received the check before my 30 day grace period expired.

Today 2/16/18 I called as I still have not received the form. (The phone number on my premium 1-800-633-6259 is always answered by Insurance Services Alliance One). I again was told the form was mailed. I asked who Insurance Services Alliance One is and was told they are a third party provider for AIG. I requested to speak to someone from AIG and was told AIG has turned over my account to them. I Googled AIG and called them directly. (Each time I call I speak to someone from the Philippines). AIG told me my account has been turned over to Insurance Services Alliance One and that AIG no longer has any info on me. I said I wanted to speak to a supervisor and was transferred to you guessed it, back to Insurance Services.

After realizing I was again speaking to Insurance Services I demanded to speak to AIG. Again told AIG does not have my info, only Insurance Services does. I asked if Insurance Services Alliance One is an insurance company and was told no, only a third party provider handling my account. I again demanded to speak to AIG and again was told AIG has turned over all info to Insurance Services Alliance One who is not my insurance company. So I cannot speak to anyone from AIG about my own account, only a third party provider who has all my personal info i.e. S/S number, date of birth, address, phone etc. How the hell does that happen. AIG is my insurance company but I am not allowed to talk to them and even if I did, they no longer have my account info? Something is seriously wrong here.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I use Expedia for all my Company and employee travel. They offer you the choice to buy trip insurance when you purchase your airfare. I had made a reservation for one of my employees to fly from Georgia to Oklahoma City and purchased the trip insurance. Well my employee twisted his ankle and was unable to make his flight. I filed a claim with AIG and what a mess and horrible experience. I finally decided to lose the $400 airfare and the $30 I paid for the stupid insurance and move on. They wanted documentation from everyone except the brain surgeon. It was only a sprained ankle. Well no more AIG and no more Expedia. Since they endorse AIG they lost my business as well!!! 1 Star is as low as it goes or I would give them zero.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

We were on a trip that was completed in Cambodia in October 2017. Upon leaving Cambodia, the plane had a mechanical failure, which subsequently caused us to miss a flight and a planned hotel stay. We submitted the claim to AIG for missed connection which was covered by our Travel Insurance. Because we did not receive a letter from the Cambodian airline detailing the issues surrounding the mechanical failure, AIG refused the claim. Furthermore, AIG would not accept an email receipt from Delta Airlines concerning the additional flight that we had to pay for ourselves.

It seems to me that our claim was well founded, appropriate and well documented. If an insurance company requires unreasonable documentation, then I don't think that they will ever have to pay. Thus, to me at least, AIG is a fraud, and I will definitely never buy their insurance again. After all, why buy insurance, when it won't pay a claim.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I've been trying to get the cash value of my policy for the last 10 years+. AIG sent me a letter in October stating they were working on settling my claim. I've have not heard from them since. They also stated they have no idea where my agent was transferred. AIG is eager to take your money, but not so eager to repay it. My wife and I thought we would have money to retire on, but I have to continue to work.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I chartered a boat for $3,800, boat was destroyed in the hurricane, trip insurance dissected the line items of the charter invoice and didn't pay for the boat insurance line item, a mandatory item. (Of course the boat has insurance, the charter company won't allow the boat to leave the dock without it, just like every passenger plane has plane insurance you don't see AIG deducting plane insurance from the payment of a claim for cancelled flights.)

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

My wife passed away early in 2017. It is now November and they are still reviewing the claim. It is a paid up policy from 1969! Lie after lie. Checks in the mail... lie. Sent the check to the wrong address... Lie, Check sent to your daughter... Lie, Forms not filled out in the proper way Lie, lie, lie. Now they have outsourced customer to another country. They suck.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I was trying to get a partial withdrawal on my insurance policy and I never received it after three months of getting the run around from this company. They lie and tell you that the request will be processed in 5 to 7 business days and this never happens. No one has a clue on what's going on in the company. Not even the so called supervisors. My advice is to STAY CLEAR OF THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I'm giving anyone fair warning. Do not let this company be your company to take care of your final stuff or send money to your surviving family members because they will do anything they can not to pay them let online your final expenses. They won't get paid. My family are still waiting on the money that is owed to us as well what is owed to others. Please stay away don't waste your time or money on this fake company. They are not out for anyone but themselves. IF I KNEW IF IT WOULD WORK I WOULD GET A LAWYER AND SUE THEIR ASS.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

After my dad passed away I notified AIG. They sent me a packet of 7-8 pages of paperwork which completely overwhelmed me. I sat for 3-4 days just staring at it then decided to call, a rep walked me through every page, several times saying "don't worry about that part" <= ?? My mom suffered anoxic brain damage so I am now the DPOA in fact as outlined in my parents' DPOAs. I provided all the forms, POA, notarized affidavit and a letter from my mom's MD to the fact she is unable to make any decisions. 16 days later I get a letter telling me the paperwork was completed correctly (girl on phone) & dated wrong?? I had to complete ALL the forms again, get 2 forms notarized and now they want another copy of both my mom & dad's DPOA. Sent them both.

18 days later here comes another BS letter and now I'm getting angry. I had to get another affidavit notarized because I put my mom's DOB 01/01/01 instead of 01/01/1900. Not her DOB but you get my point... I called and tore this rep up... and FYI after each BS "We require more info letter" I called and all you get is the girl that answered, you can't talk to anybody other than these girls & I swear they're reading from a script!!! Sooo again I provide the info. On Oct 16th I received ANOTHER letter, now they want 2 letters from my mom's MDs attesting to her be incapacitated AND they tell me the DPOA is a springing DPOA. Cmon!!! But wait it gets better. They want 2 letters... they send me 1 form!! This BS goes on and on.

Again I called. Now I'm completely irate and ripped this girl who answered a new one!! She says, "Ohhh well I can mail you another one." Damn it. If they want 2 letters send 2 forms + they wanted ANOTHER notarized affidavit of DPOA, OMG at this point I'm in tears and can't believe these people and their practices. Like losing my dad isn't bad enough now I've had to hired 24hr live in caregiver, she (my mom) needs constant supervision. Live in caregivers are very expensive, the money is running out. :( PLEASE do not do business with these people, go with Prudential who settle a claim 7 days after submitting LESS information than AIG wants. I have now been jacked around to the point of being so stressed out I don't know what to do. This has been going on since August, I'm now waiting to see what else they want lie about what they need!!! RUN AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

The representative sold me the insurance claiming that it was the same as Aflac. I paid my premiums and months later I was hospitalized for knee surgery and I later filed a claim. I was told by the claims department that their program is not like Aflac and that the salesman should not have presented it as such. I had text messages between me and the salesman, but that did not make a difference. My claim was still denied.

If you get a solicitation call from AIG, hang up. They will tell you anything to make a sale and when the time comes to file a claim, you will be denied regardless of what you were told. It is my personal opinion after reading similar complaints, that this is a regular scam being run by the salesperson and the claims department, a company wide scam.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

This company is a 'RIPOFF'. They will find any reason to deny you. I was recently in Michigan when I was suffering from chronic back pain due to osteoarthritis. I explained to them that I could barely move let alone try and go to an ER and I was away from home. I further explained that if at home it wouldn't cost anything to see my physician but away it would be $75.00. And besides it's not like I hadn't been diagnosed and I sent all my paperwork from all the doctors that I've seen since 2014.

Of course it wasn't good enough and even the idiot Supervisor that contacted me she was just as stupid as the Rep that I talked too. No matter what, this company doesn't want to pay. When I was waiting for the callback, I went online to see how they were rated and unfortunately it was 99% all bad. So buyer beware and just suck it up when you purchase an airline ticket because your claim will most likely be denied. If I could give AIG a negative rating, something with a minus star, believe me I would. From my experience NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER EVER EVER BUY INSURANCE FROM THESE CLOWNS. AND YOU MAY QUOTE ME.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

We had a travel policy (Gold level) with this company for a cruise that had to be canceled due to emergency surgery. The company refused to pay the full premium coverage as stated in the gold policy. Found out later that someone at the company reduced the coverage without my or travel agent’s permission. But we still had paid for the Gold coverage. This is against the law to reduce your coverage without your permission and not refunding some of your premium money back. I would not even give them one star but I have to!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I do not need to go online except with address changes. The premium is withdrawn from my account. The rates are good and the company is highly rated.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Have life insurance, wanted to pay by credit card, for 2 days they gave me the runaround until they said I can't pay with credit card. If they give me so much grief for trying to pay them, heaven forbid if I have to make a claim!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

AIG Life Insurance is refusing to pay a life insurance policy claim. Proceeds allegedly have been sent to the treasurer's office but no one seems to have the assets.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I purchased term life when company under investigation. Got a great rate as I know this is a great company and if the govt. had not made matters worse, it would be a great company again. Mr. Greenberg was a super founder.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I canceled my life insurance policy after having it for over 25 years and have never been late with a payment. It had a value that I was supposed to receive within 10 working days. It is now over 60 working days and still have not received a check. That is not the bad part. The bad part is dealing with customer service which they told me is off shore. After 14 days I called and was told they switched over their computer system and to allow for 14 more days. Then when I called they told me I had made an extra payment and they have to decide whether to refund that payment to me. Then they told me I left out a date on paperwork and I had to resubmit paperwork. Then they told me they didn't have my street address. Then they told me that I requested an address change and they were processing that request. Now the supervisor is involved and he will call me back. Terrible company to deal with.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

A so, so company. I found another with better renters insurance coverage and medical coverage. I believe my new more comprehensive coverage is very valued by me.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

American National Insurance/American General Life Insurance is dependable, honest, and down-to-earth. The few times I contacted them about something, I received information I needed. I still carry a "whole life policy" which I was able to borrow against during a tough time; and they have never bugged me about repaying because adjustments will be made in the policy amount if necessary.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

My husband and I had life insurance with American General Life Insurance for 24 years. In June we received a letter telling us that they were going to triple my husband's premium. The agent that we took out the insurance with has been dead for years so I called an agent in Winston-Salem to see what was going on. I ask how much cash value that we had and they told me how much I had and said that my husband didn't have any because they had been taking it along with what we paid each month. They had increased his premium and not notified us. When we bought the policy we told our agent we wanted whole life and he said that that was what this was. Now I have been told that it is a universal policy. So after 24 years of paying them we have no life insurance because we couldn't pay that high of premium. They are a bunch of crook.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Since Aug. of 2005 $21.90 has been coming auto out of my checking acct. I thought it was part of my Safeco Ins. until I went to close my Wells Fargo acct & transfer auto payments, this one stayed behind. Three months ago I started to try to find out how/what/why this had been instigated. I'm getting the 'run-around' from AIG; they've even faked an audio (they say) of me accepting this National Fire Insurance policy; which I know that I did NOT! I already have full coverage & would not have added anything else to it. Total is over $3,100.00. I'm not going to let them get away with this fraud; BBB, local TV media, lawyer; I will call them all.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

My brother passed away April 28, 2017. I am the administrator of his estate. I have been trying to process two claims since early May and it is now the end of August. Every time I send paperwork in I get a letter back two weeks later saying something is wrong with it. If I call for assistance and have a representative help me over the phone, tell me it is now correct, I still will get a letter saying something is wrong with it. I've written 7 letters, had 5 phone conversations, and submitted 6 official documents and still they have not settled the claim. Every time I call I get a different customer representative who will tell me something different from the last one. AIG has sent me 8 identical form letters requesting a claimant form even though I've already submitted it 3 times and their representative acknowledges they have it over the phone. A terrible, terrible company.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

AIG - Worst EVER Business Experience - Run Far - Run Fast. 10 years into a 15 year term insurance policy I was offered a new replacement policy, lock in your rate now for the next 15 years. This is where the trouble began. After being approved and being assured that the new policy would replace my old policy, I discovered after 5 months that I was making double payments for both policies. Since they will only accept automatic payments from your bank account it quite easy for them to take what they want when they want.

After weeks of calls, multiple customer service contacts, and finally 2 calls from the "domestic relations" office (thanks for nothing Andrea), both accounts were taken off of autopay, but no refund was allowed for the second policy as it was past 60 days-although they had not take taken payments out for that policy until after 60 days and then took 4 PAYMENTS for policy 2 and 1 PAYMENT for policy 1 the same month.

Still trying to resolve the issues, I authorized an auto pay on the second policy for the August 2017, and the company processed the transaction for 6 months worth of payments out of my account. So much for groceries this month. As far as getting a response from AIG, I am unable to sign in to the website (again),

Most days after a considerable time on hold you get someone who will "file a service request".

Today (was worse than the even the bad usual) I spent 2 hours on hold only to finally get someone reading that they are having technical difficulties call later in the week and then hang up on me. I have now lost not only over $500 on the second policy, not to mention the 10 YEARS in premiums on the first policy which they have refused to re-instate, and I am scared to death to do any further business with this company. I have paid my bank to put a stop payment on all AIG transactions coming from my accounts, and do not know when and if anyone will ever respond to the issues of duplicate and overpayments taken directly from my accounts. I would love a return call on these issues from any of the Customer Service people I have spoken to in the past: to name a few names. Wendy **, Beth **, Joe **, Rose, Carlina #**, JL #**, Jen #**, Andrea at "domestic relations".

AIG Life Insurance Company Information