2.68/5
Based on 73 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

AIG Life Insurance

AIG has insurance policies that protect your financial health, including life, travel and auto insurance. AIG isn't an InsuraMatch partner. Call InsuraMatch to get multiple auto insurance quotes and policy advice in just 10 minutes. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

170 AIG Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 29, 2018

I had a Life insurance policy through "AIG Life insurance in the city of New York" on my wife who passed away in May 2017. I've called them 11 times and they failed to provide a reason why I have not received the life insurance pay out. 2 certified letters were sent explaining the issue, which were signed for but not responded to. I've requested the Life policy documents to sign several times but received nothing. Would you have a direction I can go to resolve this issue?

Original review: March 29, 2018

Been working on this for over a year. Company reps are beyond incompetent. Have not been able to get consistent requirements, phone call to phone call. For a $1250 policy... Will never in my life ever do business with these bozos for any reason.

Original review: March 24, 2018

My sister and I have been trying to settle a claim for a year. Customer service is barely understandable and completely useless. They claim that documents that we sent and were signed for by them were never received. They claim that I contacted them 4 years ago and I didn't even know the policy existed then. It appears they hope we'll just give up so they won't have to pay. Scam company.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I have a good experience with AIG overall. They are very professional and do their job well. I would recommend them to everyone I could. I have done my research and I would give them a overall score of 99 and that was because of the incident I had with them one time. They are very kind and they have help me with several things and are very nice. They are respectful and they care a great deal about their customers and their needs. But they should keep closer look and handle on their records because I have had a experience with them that my record has gotten lost but they had found it and called me right away to let me know that they had misplaced the record.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I like that AIG Life Insurance is very popular and has a good reputation. My policy was well maintained and I felt that I could easily reach their customer service team if I needed to. My experience, when I had a policy, was a positive one. The only reason I ended my policy with them was because I found an equal policy with another company at a lower rate so I decided to switch.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AIG?

Original review: March 12, 2018

It was easy for me to sign up. It's pretty cool. The customer service was/is great. Every time I call and ask questions they are very polite, answer me in every possible way. They seemed they care. Overall it sounds great in what they are saying they offer but we will see in the long run. It does have bad reviews overall when I check it online. I just bought so I have it. I hope it will be helpful.

Original review: March 11, 2018

I like that the company's been around for a long time and that I don't have to wait a long time for my policy to activate. And everyone I have talked to about really liked it. They had better reviews for their company than a lot of the other companies I looked at and I feel as though I can trust them with my future. It's very important to have this with recently losing my father. But the customer service is not reviewed well. I have had trouble getting in contact with them from time to time. IT is very important to be able to get a hold of them.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I like everything about AIG. They're excellent because they offer a good payment system and flexible in case you need to adjust your savings' future. Their payment plan and the customer service are awesome. They try to solve issues as quickly as possible. Plus, they are very polite and enthusiastic. But nothing too special.

Original review: March 9, 2018

AIG insurance is the best hands down and is in a class by itself. Insurance companies are nothing like AIG insurance. I like everything about the company including their rates and types of insurance offered like permanent, whole life and term. They also have multiple forms of payment. Also, policy writers are phenomenal and the best in the business. However, I wish it were free and that the rates did not have to increase over time. But, I still think they are awesome. They are a great company and I will be with them for a lifetime.

Original review: March 8, 2018

AIG worked with me and worked around getting everyone there. Identified, signed and help on getting paperwork filled out and with what family members to put in it, who had to be there and what paperwork had to be brought to them and what it detailed. Getting it stamped. And getting copies for everyone. Then getting everyone where they needed to be. But, it was hard to get someone to meet with you and be exact with what paperwork you needed and what people you needed and what identification they needed to bring.

Original review: March 7, 2018

AIG Life was able to give us the best product at the best price and their customer service was outstanding. I love the quality of customer service that they provide. They are always there to answer any questions you may have and never make you feel like a burden for asking them. The representative made sure that all of our questions were answered and we were comfortable with the product we had chosen.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Policy was purchased as a supplemental life insurance to help cover expenses while caring for my 80-year old mother. One and one half times payment guaranteed to be paid out if death occurs within two years of initial coverage. She passed away before the end of the 2 year initial coverage period. Payout was efficient and customer service was excellent and efficient as well. If I didn't have a policy of my own, I would purchase for myself.

Original review: March 4, 2018

AIG almost went bankrupt year or two ago. Not instilling confidence in me. But, if I cancel I lose coverage, and have to shop again, higher prices. I fear they won't be around to pay up in the end.

Original review: March 3, 2018

The policy is good, I've had it for going on three years. The price is decent, I would recommend that you get it while you're young. You can get more Bang for your Buck. They automatically get payment straight from the Bank, so it's never really noticed. The first thing they should leave you with a very clear contact number. I had to call so many numbers before I actually was put in contact with the company. The second thing is being able to borrow against your policy. I was told it was available after two years, but it's not... It has to be three years. They need to make information like this readily available. Don't need to hunt. I had dealing with this company back in 1990s. They were fabulous... so I went with them. All in all they're a great company, very helpful, and patience... they have loads!!! Rates are steady, and the agent that came out was a real helper. I tell all my friends.

Original review: March 2, 2018 AIG was my Health Insurance provider for Short Term Disability. Admitted into the Hospital June 20th 2017 for a Descending Aortic Aneurysm, two weeks in ICU.

One month in the Hospital with one week in patient Rehab. My Vascular Surgeon would not allow me to return to work until November. AIG paid for one month Disability, I have been on the phone numerous times with AIG representatives to no avail. I was in Rehabilitation for a total of five months per my Vascular Surgeon. Definite RIPOFF.

Original review: March 1, 2018

My husband and I went in without knowing a lot about life insurance, what we needed, how to go about it, and they helped us with each step of the way. Our purchase and study of life insurance was simple because of the employees. This is a amazing company. We had never heard anything really about MoO, but we still took the leap and went into to office and met with them. It was a great experience from the beginning all the way to the end.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I got AIG life insurance from my employer and union. They want me to get one. I like the plan because it is automatically taken out of my paycheck every pay period. It leaves me some sort of peace of mind but I would still not want to spend much. I dislike the high premium of the plan because I am still in my 20's so it is ridiculous. Also I like that they used to sponsor my favorite soccer team Manchester United but I don't like that they don't anymore. They should sponsor Manchester United again. They are getting better and it will fit them.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I took out a life insurance policy with Franklin Life Insurance nearly forty years ago. My Franklin policy was bought out by AIG decades ago. Many years ago my policy reached a point where I was earning enough dividends that I could pay my annual premium with my dividends. Each year I would simply call AIG and request they pay my annual premium from my dividends. It took 5 minutes and I received email confirmation that my premium was paid. Two years ago when my annual premium was due, I called AIG and requested my premium be paid from my dividends. I was told I can no longer do that over the phone and was told they would mail me a form. The form never arrived and my 30 day grace period was approaching so I sent a check afraid they would cancel my policy before I could utilize my dividends to pay.

My annual premium is again due for 2018 and I called AIG 1/29/18 to request they use dividends to pay my premium. The person answering the phone is from "Insurance Services Alliance One". Again told I cannot do this over the phone and they would mail me a form. No form received. I called again 2/5/18 (answered by Insurance Services Alliance One) and was told I would have it in my mail on 2/7/18. 2/7/18 came and no form. I again paid my premium with a check and sent the check via certified mail to assure they received the check before my 30 day grace period expired.

Today 2/16/18 I called as I still have not received the form. (The phone number on my premium 1-800-633-6259 is always answered by Insurance Services Alliance One). I again was told the form was mailed. I asked who Insurance Services Alliance One is and was told they are a third party provider for AIG. I requested to speak to someone from AIG and was told AIG has turned over my account to them. I Googled AIG and called them directly. (Each time I call I speak to someone from the Philippines). AIG told me my account has been turned over to Insurance Services Alliance One and that AIG no longer has any info on me. I said I wanted to speak to a supervisor and was transferred to you guessed it, back to Insurance Services.

After realizing I was again speaking to Insurance Services I demanded to speak to AIG. Again told AIG does not have my info, only Insurance Services does. I asked if Insurance Services Alliance One is an insurance company and was told no, only a third party provider handling my account. I again demanded to speak to AIG and again was told AIG has turned over all info to Insurance Services Alliance One who is not my insurance company. So I cannot speak to anyone from AIG about my own account, only a third party provider who has all my personal info i.e. S/S number, date of birth, address, phone etc. How the hell does that happen. AIG is my insurance company but I am not allowed to talk to them and even if I did, they no longer have my account info? Something is seriously wrong here.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I use Expedia for all my Company and employee travel. They offer you the choice to buy trip insurance when you purchase your airfare. I had made a reservation for one of my employees to fly from Georgia to Oklahoma City and purchased the trip insurance. Well my employee twisted his ankle and was unable to make his flight. I filed a claim with AIG and what a mess and horrible experience. I finally decided to lose the $400 airfare and the $30 I paid for the stupid insurance and move on. They wanted documentation from everyone except the brain surgeon. It was only a sprained ankle. Well no more AIG and no more Expedia. Since they endorse AIG they lost my business as well!!! 1 Star is as low as it goes or I would give them zero.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

We were on a trip that was completed in Cambodia in October 2017. Upon leaving Cambodia, the plane had a mechanical failure, which subsequently caused us to miss a flight and a planned hotel stay. We submitted the claim to AIG for missed connection which was covered by our Travel Insurance. Because we did not receive a letter from the Cambodian airline detailing the issues surrounding the mechanical failure, AIG refused the claim. Furthermore, AIG would not accept an email receipt from Delta Airlines concerning the additional flight that we had to pay for ourselves.

It seems to me that our claim was well founded, appropriate and well documented. If an insurance company requires unreasonable documentation, then I don't think that they will ever have to pay. Thus, to me at least, AIG is a fraud, and I will definitely never buy their insurance again. After all, why buy insurance, when it won't pay a claim.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I've been trying to get the cash value of my policy for the last 10 years+. AIG sent me a letter in October stating they were working on settling my claim. I've have not heard from them since. They also stated they have no idea where my agent was transferred. AIG is eager to take your money, but not so eager to repay it. My wife and I thought we would have money to retire on, but I have to continue to work.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I chartered a boat for $3,800, boat was destroyed in the hurricane, trip insurance dissected the line items of the charter invoice and didn't pay for the boat insurance line item, a mandatory item. (Of course the boat has insurance, the charter company won't allow the boat to leave the dock without it, just like every passenger plane has plane insurance you don't see AIG deducting plane insurance from the payment of a claim for cancelled flights.)

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

My wife passed away early in 2017. It is now November and they are still reviewing the claim. It is a paid up policy from 1969! Lie after lie. Checks in the mail... lie. Sent the check to the wrong address... Lie, Check sent to your daughter... Lie, Forms not filled out in the proper way Lie, lie, lie. Now they have outsourced customer to another country. They suck.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I was trying to get a partial withdrawal on my insurance policy and I never received it after three months of getting the run around from this company. They lie and tell you that the request will be processed in 5 to 7 business days and this never happens. No one has a clue on what's going on in the company. Not even the so called supervisors. My advice is to STAY CLEAR OF THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I'm giving anyone fair warning. Do not let this company be your company to take care of your final stuff or send money to your surviving family members because they will do anything they can not to pay them let online your final expenses. They won't get paid. My family are still waiting on the money that is owed to us as well what is owed to others. Please stay away don't waste your time or money on this fake company. They are not out for anyone but themselves. IF I KNEW IF IT WOULD WORK I WOULD GET A LAWYER AND SUE THEIR ASS.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

After my dad passed away I notified AIG. They sent me a packet of 7-8 pages of paperwork which completely overwhelmed me. I sat for 3-4 days just staring at it then decided to call, a rep walked me through every page, several times saying "don't worry about that part" <= ?? My mom suffered anoxic brain damage so I am now the DPOA in fact as outlined in my parents' DPOAs. I provided all the forms, POA, notarized affidavit and a letter from my mom's MD to the fact she is unable to make any decisions. 16 days later I get a letter telling me the paperwork was completed correctly (girl on phone) & dated wrong?? I had to complete ALL the forms again, get 2 forms notarized and now they want another copy of both my mom & dad's DPOA. Sent them both.

18 days later here comes another BS letter and now I'm getting angry. I had to get another affidavit notarized because I put my mom's DOB 01/01/01 instead of 01/01/1900. Not her DOB but you get my point... I called and tore this rep up... and FYI after each BS "We require more info letter" I called and all you get is the girl that answered, you can't talk to anybody other than these girls & I swear they're reading from a script!!! Sooo again I provide the info. On Oct 16th I received ANOTHER letter, now they want 2 letters from my mom's MDs attesting to her be incapacitated AND they tell me the DPOA is a springing DPOA. Cmon!!! But wait it gets better. They want 2 letters... they send me 1 form!! This BS goes on and on.

Again I called. Now I'm completely irate and ripped this girl who answered a new one!! She says, "Ohhh well I can mail you another one." Damn it. If they want 2 letters send 2 forms + they wanted ANOTHER notarized affidavit of DPOA, OMG at this point I'm in tears and can't believe these people and their practices. Like losing my dad isn't bad enough now I've had to hired 24hr live in caregiver, she (my mom) needs constant supervision. Live in caregivers are very expensive, the money is running out. :( PLEASE do not do business with these people, go with Prudential who settle a claim 7 days after submitting LESS information than AIG wants. I have now been jacked around to the point of being so stressed out I don't know what to do. This has been going on since August, I'm now waiting to see what else they want lie about what they need!!! RUN AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

The representative sold me the insurance claiming that it was the same as Aflac. I paid my premiums and months later I was hospitalized for knee surgery and I later filed a claim. I was told by the claims department that their program is not like Aflac and that the salesman should not have presented it as such. I had text messages between me and the salesman, but that did not make a difference. My claim was still denied.

If you get a solicitation call from AIG, hang up. They will tell you anything to make a sale and when the time comes to file a claim, you will be denied regardless of what you were told. It is my personal opinion after reading similar complaints, that this is a regular scam being run by the salesperson and the claims department, a company wide scam.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

This company is a 'RIPOFF'. They will find any reason to deny you. I was recently in Michigan when I was suffering from chronic back pain due to osteoarthritis. I explained to them that I could barely move let alone try and go to an ER and I was away from home. I further explained that if at home it wouldn't cost anything to see my physician but away it would be $75.00. And besides it's not like I hadn't been diagnosed and I sent all my paperwork from all the doctors that I've seen since 2014.

Of course it wasn't good enough and even the idiot Supervisor that contacted me she was just as stupid as the Rep that I talked too. No matter what, this company doesn't want to pay. When I was waiting for the callback, I went online to see how they were rated and unfortunately it was 99% all bad. So buyer beware and just suck it up when you purchase an airline ticket because your claim will most likely be denied. If I could give AIG a negative rating, something with a minus star, believe me I would. From my experience NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER EVER EVER BUY INSURANCE FROM THESE CLOWNS. AND YOU MAY QUOTE ME.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

We had a travel policy (Gold level) with this company for a cruise that had to be canceled due to emergency surgery. The company refused to pay the full premium coverage as stated in the gold policy. Found out later that someone at the company reduced the coverage without my or travel agent’s permission. But we still had paid for the Gold coverage. This is against the law to reduce your coverage without your permission and not refunding some of your premium money back. I would not even give them one star but I have to!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I do not need to go online except with address changes. The premium is withdrawn from my account. The rates are good and the company is highly rated.

AIG Life Insurance Company Information