2.38/5

AIG Life Insurance

AIG has insurance policies that protect your financial health, including life, travel and auto insurance. AIG isn't an InsuraMatch partner. Call InsuraMatch to get multiple auto insurance quotes and policy advice in just 10 minutes. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

186 AIG Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 27, 2018

AIG is a good company that knows how to treat its customers like family and makes life a little easier for me. Their prices are decently done so that it's easy for me to figure out what I need to do to make sure everything's set if anything happens to me. the company is pretty awesome at making me understand what they are actually doing with the money I send every month. But there should be some cheaper options with amazing coverage so that people aren't screwed if they can't afford the cheapest option. They also need more representatives in Ohio.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I have been satisfied with the overall coverage of AIG Life Insurance. I know them as a leader in the industry and they've given me no reason to think otherwise. I went with them because of their net promoter score and I would always provide positive feedback on my experience. I like knowing that my family and loved ones will be taken care of. AIG is very transparent about the coverage and I know what to expect with them. My customer experience has always been a pleasant one as well. But I feel there could be more options. I like using insurance companies that offer a certain level of flexibility. It is also slightly more expensive than some of their competitors.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I had a heart attack this year February (2018). I put in a claim with AIG. They refused it on the grounds that my troponin (proteins released in blood for heart attacks/cardiac arrest) were not high enough. In other words my heart attack needed to be a big one. As a qualified nurse when a patient comes in as a medical emergency, the Dr will treat as he/she sees fit. It’s almost as if AIG are saying, either the patient should, tell the Dr to wait until troponin levels have risen enough before treatment or they need to advise Dr they could be voiding clients policies. I did not see in the policy where it said to advise the Dr of this clause. It may be seen as it being ethical as Doctors take an oath to do no harm, in which case the policy itself is not fit for purpose. Not a company to be recommended. Hazardous to health and finances.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I like that the insurance monthly rate is low compared to others and they have competitive ranges that vary to fit my lifestyle and price range. It was very easy for me to recently add on children, hassle-free. I like this company very much and it has good customer service. I have a good relationship and have insurance with them for over 10 years now and have never encountered any issues.

Original review: April 24, 2018

My step mom's husband died in Feb, 2018. We have found policies and have requested policy information. She got a letter from AIG for one of several policies with the policy information on it, yet AIG claims they have no such policy. We have been calling for weeks, only to be transferred around to department after department. Then they say it's a special policy being handled by the Dallas, Texas location! It must be a script because we always end up calling the Dallas location. The kicker is that several amounts are being taken out monthly for these policies. This should be against the law to do. They can't find any policies, yet the money is being automatically taken month after month! But, if there is no policy, how did we get this letter dated April 12, 2018???

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AIG?

Original review: April 24, 2018

I like the amount I am paying for a high quality life insurance. The fees are very good and reasonable. Their many features I find helpful in knowing more about their policy. I have always found everything I needed to find in the policy and if I can't find it their website helps me answer my questions. I love this company. It is one of the leaders in life insurance and they have always been able to assist me should I have any questions or concerns about my policy. I am pretty much happy with what I have.

Original review: April 21, 2018

My family was with AIG Life Insurance. I got it when I had my first job out of high school. I've been with them ever since, going on ten years. My life insurance give me tons of reassurance for me without sky high policies. It puts me at ease and gives me a peace of mind. It would make anyone feel better knowing their loved ones will be taken care of, in case of the unexpected. I wish it was easier to get loans or take money out in the case of an emergency. I would consider other options if I got a better price. Other than that, I like it overall.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I like that they offer numerous types of plans such as life insurance, supplement insurance, employee benefits and I can buy policies for my private needs as well as my business needs. They offer all that I need and at a great price. Plus, it was easy to do. On the other hand, I would suggest that they offer policies for children or maybe accidental insurance. Other than that, the customer service was outstanding and they answered all my question. They took the time to explain everything and was very caring.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I choose AIG Life Insurance for many reasons. I like their insurance policies that provide the best for people, the flexible payment options that allow you to pay when you are in a bind and the overall attention to how it affects the people under it. I also like the various plans they offer and the quality of service is great. Many times before I failed to find the right insurance for me but this one provides all the coverage I am looking for. I like their wide insurance coverage as it allows for me to know that I have all the precautions for daily life. But I don't like that the support is a bit non-fluid at times.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I called AIG and they had the best rates of the places I called. It was easy to get things together and they had many different options you can pick from. I liked the options they offered the best. It was also easy to sign up and get everything filled out. But I had to fill out a lot of paperwork and some of that was a bit confusing so I was worried I would have filled something out wrong.

Original review: April 15, 2018

After purchasing my policy, I realized their customer service was horrible. When I contacted AIG by phone, the representatives could not assist me. I wrote AIG only to receive a letter back telling me they can not assist me and told me to contact a rep and gave me the exact same number. I already have and I had been calling for weeks only to receive zero assistance. Finally, my persistence paid off and my issue was resolved. I would not recommend this company for life insurance.

Original review: April 11, 2018

My husband passed on Feb 7th, his father had a small $1K insurance policy on him, but has passed away himself. The funeral home contacted the company who said the policy was not enforce. My BIL contacted the company and they said yes it was enforce and would send me the paperwork. 1st they wanted a death certificate for my husband and a notarized statement they had sent for me to complete, BUT I couldn’t send it until 30 days after he passed, so I waited and sent it out on March 12th, then I contacted them when I received a request for proof of death AGAIN.

They said that they had received the paperwork and that that letter and what I had sent in passed in the mail, but I needed to send a death certificate or the official obituary notice on my father in law before they could process the claim. So, I sent them that, then on 3/24/2018 I got another letter saying that I needed to complete a proof of death to be filled out by the funeral home director, coroner or attending physician, (so I guess a original copy of his death certificate wasn’t adequate even though it had the state seal on it, the attending physician's signature and cause of death) they now need that done again on THEIR form and now they need a HIPAA form filled out.

This should have been contained in the first batch of paperwork that I received 2 months ago!! I called and asked each step of the way what was required and they have either deliberately withheld the info and are attempting to delay as long as they can to not pay or they are totally incompetent!! Either way it doesn’t speak highly of their level of integrity. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE CLOWNS!!!

Original review: April 5, 2018

Seriously this company is the worst. How can they get away with not paying out money that’s owed to you. I made my contract with AIG not the 3rd party provider to who represents them and badly I might add. I was told on more than one occasion what my dividend balance was by AIG employees. Now suddenly I have no dividends. So I canceled a policy I’ve been paying on and would have continued to pay on for another 25 years. I have lost all confidence and feel as though I’ve been ripped off. Do not buy anything from this very very shady company.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Worst insurance company I've ever seen. They have a totally arbitrary and opaque claim process. At the end, a claim was denied on my policy for dubious reasons (but they already intended that). No appeal process. No customer service. No Ombudsman. Wasted premiums. Anyway, to those who were lucky enough to never have to file a claim, I ask... were you really covered in the first place? Really? Buyer beware with these misleading crooks and tricksters! Shop for clear insurance elsewhere.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I hired agent to hook me up with Insurance with different company and life insurance with AIG Life Insurance for 17.33 a month. Found out they been taking out payments for 3 policies without authorizations. My policy says one payment every month for an 100,000 payout of life insurance. Without my permission AIG created 2 more policies that I have no records of but have been automatically taking not only the 17.33 I agreed on but a additional 94.03 for a policy I didn’t ask for and another policy for 29.06 that I never knew about.

Because I have been recouping from a injury that has me on the highest dose of painkillers I didn’t see the additional charges until recently. My bank is investigating it. I called AIG. They claim we have no policy with them. That’s as far as I got since you can’t be helped when they have no record of your policy. AIG is a fraudulent corrupt thieving company who take money adds policies onto your bank records for multiple payouts for policies you never asked for agreed to or authorized. I called my agent. He said only one policy was created and they shouldn’t be taking out additional payments for additional policies that were never authorized or requested. Fraud! Fraud! Fraud! Time for a national lawsuit?

Original review: March 29, 2018

Parents had about 10 paid up policies. My dad died October. Will be 2 years ago. We still have not resolved nor gotten money from several policies. We have filled out numerous form, send death certificates and nothing. All numbers called in different locations. They refer to another. My advice DO NOT BUY ANY KIND OF INSURANCE FROM AIG. I do realize these policies were with other companies that was acquired by AIG. No excuse.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I had a Life insurance policy through "AIG Life insurance in the city of New York" on my wife who passed away in May 2017. I've called them 11 times and they failed to provide a reason why I have not received the life insurance pay out. 2 certified letters were sent explaining the issue, which were signed for but not responded to. I've requested the Life policy documents to sign several times but received nothing. Would you have a direction I can go to resolve this issue?

Original review: March 29, 2018

Been working on this for over a year. Company reps are beyond incompetent. Have not been able to get consistent requirements, phone call to phone call. For a $1250 policy... Will never in my life ever do business with these bozos for any reason.

Original review: March 24, 2018

My sister and I have been trying to settle a claim for a year. Customer service is barely understandable and completely useless. They claim that documents that we sent and were signed for by them were never received. They claim that I contacted them 4 years ago and I didn't even know the policy existed then. It appears they hope we'll just give up so they won't have to pay. Scam company.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I have a good experience with AIG overall. They are very professional and do their job well. I would recommend them to everyone I could. I have done my research and I would give them a overall score of 99 and that was because of the incident I had with them one time. They are very kind and they have help me with several things and are very nice. They are respectful and they care a great deal about their customers and their needs. But they should keep closer look and handle on their records because I have had a experience with them that my record has gotten lost but they had found it and called me right away to let me know that they had misplaced the record.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I like that AIG Life Insurance is very popular and has a good reputation. My policy was well maintained and I felt that I could easily reach their customer service team if I needed to. My experience, when I had a policy, was a positive one. The only reason I ended my policy with them was because I found an equal policy with another company at a lower rate so I decided to switch.

Original review: March 12, 2018

It was easy for me to sign up. It's pretty cool. The customer service was/is great. Every time I call and ask questions they are very polite, answer me in every possible way. They seemed they care. Overall it sounds great in what they are saying they offer but we will see in the long run. It does have bad reviews overall when I check it online. I just bought so I have it. I hope it will be helpful.

Original review: March 11, 2018

I like that the company's been around for a long time and that I don't have to wait a long time for my policy to activate. And everyone I have talked to about really liked it. They had better reviews for their company than a lot of the other companies I looked at and I feel as though I can trust them with my future. It's very important to have this with recently losing my father. But the customer service is not reviewed well. I have had trouble getting in contact with them from time to time. IT is very important to be able to get a hold of them.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I like everything about AIG. They're excellent because they offer a good payment system and flexible in case you need to adjust your savings' future. Their payment plan and the customer service are awesome. They try to solve issues as quickly as possible. Plus, they are very polite and enthusiastic. But nothing too special.

Original review: March 9, 2018

AIG insurance is the best hands down and is in a class by itself. Insurance companies are nothing like AIG insurance. I like everything about the company including their rates and types of insurance offered like permanent, whole life and term. They also have multiple forms of payment. Also, policy writers are phenomenal and the best in the business. However, I wish it were free and that the rates did not have to increase over time. But, I still think they are awesome. They are a great company and I will be with them for a lifetime.

Original review: March 8, 2018

AIG worked with me and worked around getting everyone there. Identified, signed and help on getting paperwork filled out and with what family members to put in it, who had to be there and what paperwork had to be brought to them and what it detailed. Getting it stamped. And getting copies for everyone. Then getting everyone where they needed to be. But, it was hard to get someone to meet with you and be exact with what paperwork you needed and what people you needed and what identification they needed to bring.

Original review: March 7, 2018

AIG Life was able to give us the best product at the best price and their customer service was outstanding. I love the quality of customer service that they provide. They are always there to answer any questions you may have and never make you feel like a burden for asking them. The representative made sure that all of our questions were answered and we were comfortable with the product we had chosen.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Policy was purchased as a supplemental life insurance to help cover expenses while caring for my 80-year old mother. One and one half times payment guaranteed to be paid out if death occurs within two years of initial coverage. She passed away before the end of the 2 year initial coverage period. Payout was efficient and customer service was excellent and efficient as well. If I didn't have a policy of my own, I would purchase for myself.

Original review: March 4, 2018

AIG almost went bankrupt year or two ago. Not instilling confidence in me. But, if I cancel I lose coverage, and have to shop again, higher prices. I fear they won't be around to pay up in the end.

Original review: March 3, 2018

The policy is good, I've had it for going on three years. The price is decent, I would recommend that you get it while you're young. You can get more Bang for your Buck. They automatically get payment straight from the Bank, so it's never really noticed. The first thing they should leave you with a very clear contact number. I had to call so many numbers before I actually was put in contact with the company. The second thing is being able to borrow against your policy. I was told it was available after two years, but it's not... It has to be three years. They need to make information like this readily available. Don't need to hunt. I had dealing with this company back in 1990s. They were fabulous... so I went with them. All in all they're a great company, very helpful, and patience... they have loads!!! Rates are steady, and the agent that came out was a real helper. I tell all my friends.

AIG Life Insurance Company Information