AIG Life Insurance

AIG Life Insurance

3.6/5 (137 ratings)

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

About AIG Life Insurance

AIG offers high-end home insurance policies to cover luxury homes. The company specializes in serving those with a high net worth, including several individuals on the Fortune 400 list. It’s a large company with various assets and resources, but its policies are fairly expensive for the average homeowner.

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

AIG Life Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AIG Life Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about AIG?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

Public service announcement: Do NOT under any circumstances purchase insurance from American General Life Insurance, also known as AIG. I haven't been as dissatisfied and completely disgusted with the customer service from a company in many, many years, and yes, I have dealt with Comcast multiple times. This is worse. I won't go into details because of privacy issues, but please heed my warning and tell your friends and family.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

My father passed away February of 2020. All of the beneficiaries received the paperwork from AIG. We submit the paperwork back with the death certificate. We have been getting the run around, each time we call it's a different story like I have read on the past reviews. I am surprised how a company can take advantage of families during their time of sorrow and they appear to have no one governing this agency. I have called over 20 times and each time it seems the next representative is worse than the last one. I don't understand how this company is still in business. I also have and insurance policy with AIG and after this experience I will be canceling. I would not recommend this company for any type of insurance services. The company has ethical issues when you view all of the complaints and the company is located in a few states.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

I bought this policy in 1991 for $300,000 paid $100 a month..It is what the agent said...As time went on I had to increase it to $2000 then $300 a month...It was a universal policy....Now at age 70 it would have taken a $1000 a month to keep it in effect...The gove has banned this type of policy...I eventually was able to sell it to a broker...But it was a terrible experience. The agent lied right to my face about it....It was an AIG product....Don't be fooled....Life insurance agents are not to be trusted.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

I got the policy when I was 19 or 20, got worse service for the last year I had it. Insurance man ALWAYS came to house til the last one. Spent 4 months trying to catch him or meet him at various spots and decided to cancel, was told had to meet in Chattanooga to verify name change so I did that, then asked to cancel, signed documents and left. Started getting bills, in mail over a year later. I called and was told policy was never cancelled, they still have wrong name on file so asked, Chattanooga office closed less than a week after my visits mailed another form. 6 months later got another bill, was told I didnt notarize it? Was due cash but guess that's how they keep it. Not paying another nickel and was a very incompetent person who was in charge of my policy, would never do business with them again. Over 18 years of pmts gone....

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

Purchased a travel insurance policy through their subsidiary TravelGuard. When we cancelled the trip due to illness, they stonewalled our claim for 4 months, refused to update us (I made 10 calls to confused representatives who gave false information) then settled the claim for 25% of the trip value. Do not use AIG or TravelGuard.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

I had been meaning to obtain life insurance for my wife and I for quite some time. Did some research and for our particular needs/situation AIG was suitable. They even sent someone to our home to conduct the medical portion; which was a few questions and a blood draw. See no real reason to change.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2020

They are very helpful and do most of the hard work. They are a good hardworking company and listen to what you want and need. They don't try to talk you into stuff you don't want or need.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

I had the life insurance after my late husband passed away. The cost was very little but about a year ago, I found out the amount had decreased to $500.00. I wasn't aware that the amount would be decreasing as I aged.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

Thank God I haven't had to file a claim! Compares to New York Life and Mutual of Omaha for companies that offer no physical policies. Got it for buried insurance. There is a two year waiting period to fully cash in.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

I purchase 2 policies in 1987. They keep getting the payment amounts wrong and the due dates. They cancelled one of my policies returning no money. They are still getting the payment amounts wrong and due dates. What a scam!

Original review: July 7, 2020

I filed a claim on April 10th and have waited nearly three months for a response. While I realize that a global pandemic slows business I feel this timeframe is completely unacceptable and purposely delayed. Today I finally received an email back explaining that my claim was denied as it did not fall under their listed reasons. I was directed to view an attachment that was not there and when I emailed the adjuster back I received an outdated out of office reply stating the adjuster wouldn't be back in the office until July 6th (yesterday). I would like to see an explanation on how a global pandemic is not one of the listed reasons for filing a claim. It seems like AIG is just like any other insurance company and not interested in paying out when it's time for them to. I will be posting this message on numerous social media sites and filing a claim with the BBB and Consumer Affairs.

Original review: July 3, 2020

Stay far away. Over the years that I've had these policies (one for me, one for my husband), I have an extraordinary amount of trouble with them. They lose payments, misfile payments, and make it extremely hard to pay or access information online. They're constantly cancelling policies due to their mistakes, and it can take months of pointless phone calls to straighten out (when they make a mistake, the burden of proof is on the consumer).

If you call to find out when the next payment is due (easy to lose track of a quarterly payment), the recording skips the next date and gives you one far in the future, causing a missed payment (actually, I've experienced many, many ways they try to trip up the consumer. The end result would be the consumer losing coverage and having to buy a new policy at a MUCH higher rate…. They can make millions doing this. The latest? Although it's been mandated by law that insurance companies must give consumers a 90 day grace period, they just canceled my policy (again!) in spite of my being within that limit. My next note will be to the attorney general of my state.

Original review: June 17, 2020

My father recently passed away at 101 years old and to the last hour of his life his mind was sharp. A few weeks before his death he asked the family to change a small life insurance policy from my sister’s name and use it for my mother’s care, who is on home hospice, so we hired a Notary Public to come to the house to witness Dad signing the changes. We called today and they said, essentially, too bad his signature doesn’t match the one from 30 years ago.

Also, last year when he was trying to change the policy, we found out that Dad’s Social Security number didn’t match the one on the form by one number so he called, with the help of family, to inform them of the error. They told us he needed to submit his SS card, which we did and received a confirmation number, and today they said they never received it. They were rude and kept telling us the conversation was being recorded which we were more than fine with, though I guess it isn’t used to improve the quality of customer service. Now my sister, who has mental health issues, may receive the small payout which she is incapable of using for her own care so we are, not only heartbroken, but extremely upset and wondering how to care for Mom and my sister.

Original review: April 30, 2020

AIG in Dubai cheating with people. Earlier I had a policy name family safeguard but suddenly after 2 year later I receive a message they will not renew my policy. I'm working with salary of 2500 from there every month. I use to 22 dhs for my future in case I will face any accident in my life. But they cancel my policy without returning my money. It's really bad.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I got injured on the job at the end of September. I submitted a claim through my accident policy of which I’m still trying to get processed. Customer Service is RUDE & speak to you in a VERY unprofessional condescending tone. They give out ** information & speak to you as though you’re nothing. The insurance adjusters DO NOT return phone calls as their voicemail says they will. I injured my wrist & had to have surgery due to an accident. I was sent a letter a few weeks ago saying my claim will not be processed because my paperwork doesn’t indicate my injury was a fracture. The policy is misleading & I keep getting the run around. Clearly there was an accident related injury because I’ve been off for over 3 months. I wouldn’t recommend anyone purchasing a policy from AIG because they don’t care about the consumer. All they want is your money. If I could give a -10 star I would.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

RECEIVED A LETTER IN THE MAIL (Dec 13th 2019) asking for a copy of my sister-in-law death certificate. They found me and I had no idea about this policy. I called on the dec 14th and was told they couldn't give me any information on the policy until I sent the death certificate. I finally sent the death certificate and called again on Jan 3rd only to be told they still couldn't give me any information and that they would send out a death claim form. Today I called and was told they still couldn't tell me if I'm the beneficiary or not and if I didn't get the claim form then that means I'm not the beneficiary.

Now keep in mind, I didn't even know anything about this policy and was told that they had to find the next of kin because they couldn't get in contact with the beneficiary. (Which doesn't make sense.) Any calls I make to customer service I receive different answer. One person tell me one thing and another person tells me something else. So now my understanding from today's call was I'm not the beneficiary and the answers I received doesn't make any sense at all. This is a ongoing battle that I nobody should go through with a loved one. CUSTOMER SERVICE NEED TO BE RETRAINED ON THE POLICIES AND PROCEDURES WHEN DEALING WITH PEOPLE ON THE PHONES.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

My husband and I had purchased an Old Line Life Term Insurance Policy 20 years ago. Unfortunately, AIG bought them out. The policy was ending in December of 2019, so we called on November 12 of 2019 to let them know we did not want to renew the insurance policy. The person we spoke with stated he terminated the policy and stopped the automatic monthly payment. He also told us to ignore any correspondence from AIG.

In early December, AIG withdrew $872.54 from our account, a sum that was 8 times what we had been paying. When I called to ask what happened, the woman at AIG was horribly rude and told me she did not know what I was talking about because the policy had been terminated. We stopped payment on the withdrawal and filed a complaint with the California Insurance Commission.

We just got two letters today, January 17, 2020, one to me and one to my husband. The one to my husband was cordial but stated they had never received any notice of cancellation from us. The one to me was completely rude, telling me I could not cancel the policy because my husband was primary (My husband talked to the person in November to cancel the policy.), they had never received any notice from us and was just generally nasty in tone. His letter had a person's name, phone number, and email address attached; mine was signed by Customer Service.

It was very apparent mine was hostile and condescending in tone. I guess AIG hates women and feels it has a right to try to demean the mere "wife". We will be contacting AIG and the California Insurance Commission to follow up. We never bought this policy from AIG and now we would never have anything to do with them. The proverbial right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, and they feel it is just fine to be hostile and demeaning to women.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I give ANY insurance company a one star is because they asked people out there insurance money. They do not have any regards about people feeling when they have lost a loved one. On March 6, 2019 I lost my brother who my mother purchased the insurance policy for him and named herself as the beneficiaries. My mother passed on 8/26/2014. I am the only survivor of my family which that fall under my mother estates. Been fighting with AIG since July 2019 when my father passed 7/01/2019 after finding all the insurance my mother had purchased. They are very irresponsible, nasty, unfriendly had attitude people I have ever deal with so if anybody have policies with AIG think twice about cancel your policies with them plus they are not under BBB. That should tell you something about the company.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

I have been paying on a life policy for my husband since January, 1989 and now get a letter telling me I haven't been paying the right amount of premium. I pay this quarterly and the billing shows a certain amount which is exactly what I pay. When I called them they told me it was "up to me" to send the correct amount -- what -- I pay the amount on the billing. Too bad they say his policy will lapse so too bad unless I send them $1600. My husband will be 80 and we are on fixed income so where will I get this kind of money. Supervisors are as stupid as their customer service team. Have been taught to rely on life companies to be there when you need them but this one is truly simply pitiful and crooked. Guess I can just kiss my $30,000 plus away because they have made all the money off me that I'm willing to give. Someone needs to put a stop to this kind of business practice.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

On Oct 7 2019 we got a letter from AIG with the 2 refund checks stated our life insurance has been cancelled because we did not pay since May 2019, I call the customer services with the very bad experience, all they said, "Your policy cancelled and we can not give you the same prices" if we want to buy it again, I call my bank and they don't know why these checks were returned and we had them auto payment for years from my checking account, now they send send forms to reinstate, I ask for my agent so they can help me out but the customer service said no, there are many things I don't understand.

English is not my first language and the forms are confusing, why do I have to do all of these, we paid 11 years with the total more than $20,000 for nothing, so much stress on this issue, can any one have any advice or any lawyer can help us out, I'm relly stress. The customer service is the worst, I will not advise any one to buy AIG life insurance. Please help.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

AIG is stonewalling claims and holding onto "your money" as long as they can. It's bad enough to have to deal with the DEATH OF A FAMILY member, then have AIG stonewall my POD (Pay on Death) claim by telling me they received it but lost it, or never received it, need another document that they never said anything about until later. The latest stonewall tactic was AIG telling me the documents I sent are not visible on their system. - I sent hard copy notarized originals! What are they talking about!! I'm sure they wouldn't want to be treated like this if one of their family members died. This is unethical and illegal ACTIVITY.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I went through an insurance agent who connected me to AIG for life insurance on the house. When I realized we couldn't meet the monthly payment anymore, they told me my agent had to cancel it and that I, the policy holder, could do nothing. I originally wanted to switch it to a cheaper monthly plan but they said I would have to wait a whole year before doing that. What kind of business goes by rules like these?? Since they didn't want to take my money at all, I decided to cancel permanently and go elsewhere. I thought they would at least refund me the first monthly payment since I was only with them for one month, but they wouldn't even do that. I'm VERY disappointed in AIG and the fact they basically stole my money. I will not be recommending their services to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I had taken travel medical insurance and gone thru emergency medical during trip. These guys cheated me after providing all medical reports with no pre-existing conditions. After flight cancellation (non refundable), this fraud insurance team said, they do not help. I'm looking for lawyers to file a lawsuit.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

I've been on the phone with AIG multiple times a week over the last three months trying to resolve a very simple issue. It takes 10 minutes or more to get a customer service representative on the line. That representative spends most of their time telling you how their computer takes 24-48 hours to update, how they can't talk to other departments that make decisions or have needed information, etc. It takes an act of congress to find your way to a supervisor. The supervisors, if you can reach them, give you the same sad story of how they can't do anything and have to rely on computers.

The decision makers in other departments can only be reached internally by email. The supervisors and customer service agents can't speak to these other department. And, customers, certainly can't speak to them or email them. The above is indicative of my experience with AIG (and the company they acquired, Valic) for the last two decades. AIG is indifferent, apathetic and helpless and unhelpful. On a more positive note, The University of Alabama is now changing their Retirement Service provider away from AIG to another company.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I had the EXACT same experience as Tish of Whitney, TX. This company is scammy beyond belief. I will never work with them again. Notices of termination despite sending them checks. No way to get customer service. They claimed we were sending our checks to the wrong address despite them cashing the checks. Con artists.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I bought travel insurance for my air travel. I has my work schedule change, I contacted AIG for a claim. They denied the claim saying it would not cover until someone is involved in accident, death or some other stupid reasons. The purpose of travel insurance should cover unexpected travel situations. Bottom line is the whole AIG is a fake and trash cheating company who deceives with their policies by not clearly mentioning what is covered and what is not at the time of purchase.

Consumers needs to know what exactly is covered but they make you go to the long and confusing pdf documents where consumers has to click and view, most of the time consumers will not have enough time to go through while booking a ticket and insurance companies such as AIG take advantage out of it. What is the purpose of buying travel insurance when it’s time to use it and AIG don’t pay and deny it!! Worthless!!!! They took more than 2 months to respond. Worst company ever.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I purchased travel insurances for my trip to Mexico. When my travel plans changed I filed a claim which they denied stating my reason was not covered. What's the point of buying insurance if you're gonna lose the money regardless? Filed complaints with the BBB AND CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF INSURANCE.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

I bought travel insurance for my hotel stay for work. When my work schedule change, I contacted AIG for a claim. They deny the claim!! Bottom line is, what is the purpose of buying travel insurance when it’s time to use it, the company don’t pay!! Worthless!!!!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

Started a new $250K life insurance policy with AIG, application, medical review and implementing banking info for auto-pay was all easy. It went downhill from there. I never received an email advising the start dates for auto-pay or a link to access the site for eService. A month had gone by before I realized I hadn't heard from them. I started searching their site, stumbled upon the eservice and began making payments myself. Several months later I received an email stating my policy was about to lapse. WHAT?! Yep, the payments somehow hadn't been applied. I checked my bank statement, they'd all cleared my checking. So I called and yes the customer service sounds as it's been outsourced from US - after getting nowhere with the initial rep, I asked for a supervisor who sounds like she's locally based in TN where cust service calls are routed to.

I explain the situation and she seems concerned - promises to review the bank statements proving payments were made/cleared and call back. NO call. I call again and basically have to get angry - I don't understand how a company this large can have a payment process that allows payments to fall into limbo and not be applied. Reading the other reviews, not sure it's just an oversight. Feels intentional. Finally get it resolved, policy is reinstated, previous payments have been applied. Several months later - it happens again. I call, start this ** all over again. And during the three days of calls, AIG deducts 4 payments from my checking account that I DID NOT authorize. Customer service has no idea how this could've happened. I've demanded a refund. If it doesn't happen by tomorrow - next step is the BBB. They're too large of a company to be this inept.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I have been waiting on my payout from them for almost 2 years. I lost my fiancee and daughter in Dec 23, 2017. He had life insurance on himself and my daughter down as a child rider. I've been going back and forth through emails and calls. The last person I talk to is on vacation. That must be really nice. I have no idea what that is like (I'm too much in debt) (1 funeral is not cheap, much less 2). I understand it's in contestable period okay. You need his medical forms. Okay. His sister, his daughter and myself have filled out at least 2 release forms each to get this done. Finally I was told, "this is great."

4 months later, guess what. Still no medical forms. So I inquire about my daughters claim. Oh we don't have a claim form for her. A year later you say that. Yet I sent it in with her death certificate. But you have her death certificate and 3 reps before you said they did. They do not want to pay, they do not care that you have so much debt from putting your family to rest your at Christmas, they do not care about you. All they want is your money and lie to you the rest of the time. I have Omaha Mutual Life Insurance. They are truly a blessing. They have made my life so easy. Let me borrow against my policy 4 months early to help with my bills because I'm so debt from this.

If you go with AIG they will make your family's life hell trying to process the claim. I cry every time I hang up with them because deep down I know they are just going to keep messing with me. I just want this behind me. AIG all I want is you to hurry and process my claims. It has been dragging on too long. If it took me this long to pay you. You would close my account and keep what I have paid. Be a good honest company and help me get this behind me. Stop making it harder for me then what it already is. I would hate to see any of you to lose 2 major people in your life at Christmas then constantly have to deal with greedy careless butts. Just help me please! I just want to pay these Credit cards and loans off so I don't lose everything I own. Conf # **.

AIG Life Insurance Company Information