Kirby Vacuum Cleaners

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

2.2/5 (1605 ratings)

About Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

For nearly one-hundred years, The Kirby Company has manufactured superior, American-made home cleaning systems. Kirby does not sell directly to the public but continues a long tradition of distributing its home cleaning systems through independent distributors, who are responsible for running their own businesses. Over the years, this distribution system has afforded thousands of men and women the opportunity to live the American dream of owning and operating their own businesses.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby Vacuum Cleaners?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby?

Original review: June 30, 2022

Sales persons were pushy even though they seem like nice guys, promised all kind of things, never mentioned it was going to take long time for the demo.... I mentioned several times to the guys that the machine looked bulky and heavy...I am a senior citizen that I barely have strength to push around such a bulky machine... Also told them on various occasions that I am retired on a fixed income and every little penny is already budgeted and that I did not have any disposable income....

An medical emergency occurred in my immediate family that required me to contribute to the care of person (hospital bills and nursing home costs).. I called the company to explain my situation....they said they did not deal with that to call the financing company....Called the financing company, Merchants, they were not interested and kept enphazing that the contract was legally binding...so I inquire one more time if the company provided for emergency situations...

The company kept emphasizing that the contract was legally binding and did not volunteer any solutions...I mentioned that I could not meet the payments and they said was that if I defaulted I was going to be reported to the credit bureaus.... I will say stay away from the Kirby vacums and the financing company Merchants.... I believed I was taken advantage because of age....

Original review: June 14, 2022

Representative spends few hours demo vacuum and never shampoo. Worse shampoo after purchasing and never expect them to return to assist. Once paid never see return again had to contact company and waited few weeks for rest of products. Never trust a door salesman again.

Get buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 3, 2022

Over all I like the Kirby Vacuum for vacuuming the carpets but this Multi-Surface Shampoo System Avalir is of very poor design and I would not suggest purchasing it due to this. When it worked it did shampoo the carpets nicely but the issue is the support where the brush sets in is made of a very thin plastic and a part that is spinning at 1000's of revolutions per minute creates heat should clearly be made of metal not a thin plastic. The roller support and the ends of the roller are plastic, doesn't seem to be designed to last very long and that is what I am experiencing even with minimal use.

I have had the machine now for a few years and mostly used for carpet cleaning which works great. I have only used the carpet shampoo system a half dozen times during the time I have had the machine so the shampoo system doesn't have much use and should not have broken in the manner it did. I started shampooing the carpet machine was working and then a loud constant sound started and I immediately shut it off. Upon further inspection there was a little hair on the roller but no obvious reason why it was making the noise so I removed the whole unit off the machine and saw the one end of the roller was melted and the plastic support that houses the roller was almost completely melted rendering the Avalir Multi-Surface Shampoo System useless.

I called Kirby and explained what had happened and they offered to sell me a new one which I declined due to the poor design. I would suggest this machine as good to anyone but not recommend the Avalir Multi-Surface Shampoo System. I will not pay to replace it until they change the design with metal support for the roller.

Original review: May 11, 2022

First off, I am a single woman who lives alone. A rep showed up at my door, and offered to do a demonstration. I had a recent stain on my carpet so I figured, what the heck, at least I'll get a free cleaning out of it. After fiddling around forever, he then proceeded into one of the bedrooms, for whatever reason to show how it vacuumed.... No matter how many times I said I was uninterested in spending that kind of money on a vacuum, they wouldn't leave. The rep was in my home for hours and when I finally declined, for what I thought was the last time, his colleague showed up was non-stop coming at me to buy this vacuum, so I felt pressured to do so to get rid of them. I regretted buying this vacuum instantly c/ it is insanely expensive & bulky and in my opinion. My less expensive vacuum did an equally good job at cleaning. I think they are incredibly pushy and the cost is not worth it, at all!

Original review: April 5, 2022

Ok so one lady came up to my door, handed me a dish soap, told me it was free and then said she was going to be showing me cleaning products and asked if I was an honest person to be able to review her product and I said sure. I never invited them and they invited their selves in and then she was in my house for over an hour and I was trying to tell her to leave but she would not get the hint and she went from $3000 to 1400 and then tried to get me to trade my vacuum in. She would not leave no matter what. Even after saying I did not want to pay that much for a damn vacuum and kept asking what time my fiancé got home and asked us where we worked and then she was asking personal questions like if we rented or were homeowners.

Original review: March 17, 2022

This is about to be a pretty long one. If I could upload videos I would. Kirby came to my Apt for the first time around November. I live by myself and I am pretty small and I never have guest over unless I know they are coming. However, sometimes the leasing office will come and walk around or knock on the door to do Maintenance or change a filter.

At first it was a tall ** rugged man with no teeth that knocked on my door. I assumed it was a maintenance man. Luckily I had my sister and brother on the phone in case something had happened. Needless to say, I have bad anxiety and struggle to comprehend things at times. This man spoke extremely fast and shoved an extremely small tide bottle in my hand. He said something about he is asking people to do a quick survey and we get a free gift. He asked me if I had time to do the survey. I said sure thinking it was going to be on a card. He said, "Okay I’ll be right back." When he came back it was a total of 2 males and a short Asian female. I felt extremely overwhelmed and didn’t expect for them to have so many people. They brought the Kirby in the house and the ** guy left. Kirby was never mentioned at the beginning.

As soon as I could realize what was going on I voiced that I was not interested in buying anything. The ** guy said, "Okay but is it cool for me to still do the demonstration" and because I was scared I agreed. I immediately texted my brother and sister for them to stay on the phone with me. I also announced to them that they were on camera. (I was on Group FaceTime and the way the camera was facing it showed my entire living room).

The ** guy did the demonstration while the Asian girl just sat there. Although the ** guy was extremely nice and understanding when I kept expressing that I did not want to buy it, the ** guy just kept walking in and out of my apartment and was literally trying to pressure me into buying the stupid vacuum. I was becoming extremely annoyed and I told the ** guy that the other guy was about to get cursed out. So when the ** guy came back in for the last time the ** guy gave him something to do so that he wouldn’t come back inside. After they finally left I thought that was going to be the last of it because I expressed NUMEROUS times that I did not want to buy the vacuum. (The ** guy admitted to me that our Apt complex told them they were not allowed to come here to sell anything.)

Soon after that at approximately 9 pm, I hear a knock at my door and it was this female posted on these pictures. I didn’t open the door but I looked through the peephole to see her standing there. I walked away because again, I felt extremely uncomfortable, she looked like she was on some type of drug, and I don’t have people come here especially at night.

Roughly a month (maybe a little over) after that encounter, my neighbor (who has a Ring) brought to my attention that there was a ** male that walked by my door (her fiancé) and stopped to look at my mat. (It says ** don’t wear no shoes on my house) A couple days later is when the girl knocked. There was also a ** man (who’s been caught peeping through a neighbor on the first floor bedroom window) that knocked on my door while I was at work. When he realized her ring was recording him he left. At this point I decided to get a ring as well because now I am worried for my safety.

Today, there was a different ** girl and ** guy that knocked on my door instead of ringing the ring bell. You could hear them mumbling back to each other. My neighbor sent me her footage and I sent her my footage. The ** girl looked back at her ring and the ** guy asked her what she was looking at. When he looked back he says something about “I’m trying to get somebody” and they walk off. All the other people are confirmed to be working with Kirby, however I am not sure these two people today are. There are so many post on Facebook of how sketchy these Kirby people are. They are extremely rude, and don’t care about anything. At this point it’s harassment.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2022

I buy a new one on the home demonstration 3 month ago from a nice young man. House looks amazing now! The best vacuum in the world, I recommend to everybody which afford to buy one! Is not so cheaper. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

So this company came by my house about 2 months ago, trying to offer me a free cleaning product if they came into my house to demo the product. I had guests in the home and it’s Covid so I told them no twice before they would leave. Fast forward, they contacted me again, because the initial visit I had put my information on a registration form to register for a contest, and allegedly I won a free carpet cleaning for my master bedroom. I had just built my home and had bad allergies so I was okay with this, they said it would take an hour and half and they would not try to sell me anything, they showed up at 11:30 and started demoing this entire vacuum. I’ll admit I was impressed by the level of clean this machine had but as someone who is a salesman, no matter what the rep tried, I wasn’t interested in purchasing their product.

They cleaned a window. A pillow case. Baseboards, ceiling fan, lamp, my bed, under my stove, but left about 95 filters in various parts of my home that has the dirt and dust. Then they poured salt in my carpet and used my vacuum to clean and then used their Kirby to clean and showed me how “bad” my Shark vacuum was. They said they needed to sell the product to win the contest to get a wash for their husband they just married. Their manager got involved about 4 times and I could hear the manager having her repeat things back to me, to the point I answered without her repeating what her manager said. And she aggressively turned the volume down on the phone. I kept picking the filters up cause I’m like this is all over my dining table, guest bedroom, movie room, kitchen counter, living room. And master bedroom.

After the manager tried to negotiate the vacuum from 2500 down to 1500, she said, "Ok I’m going to finally do what I came here for." So she vacuums my bedroom and then begins to shampoo my carpet with the machine demoing as she goes. Not to mention her manager is trying to buy back my old vacuum within the purchase and she laid my vacuum down and put dirty filters on top of it… Lol. Finally after cleaning she gets manager back on phone for him to come inside the house. She proceeds to clean the machine in my sink, use my paper towels without asking and then dumped all the filters into my trash can, leaving some first in various spots.

After denying the manager in person after he tried to drop the price down to 1000 he asked if they could come back. Mind you it was 2:30 pm and the sales rep came at 11:30 am. She took a dump in my restroom, and then did all of this ** before actually doing what they initially offered me. After declining for the 5th time, the sales rep was visibly upset and started cleaning up quickly and hitting my walls with her machine parts etc. I feel bad for these sales people cause they have to do all of that, but the nerve they have to Bombard people homes. I almost felt like they weren’t going to leave and I was tempted to threaten them at one point with my gun because that’s how hard it was for them to take no as an answer. Glad I didn’t buy their product. But I got a decent clean out of it.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

These 3 salesman came into our home while I was at work and my wife is here alone and they invited their self into our bedroom and around our house and even into our backyard. Not knowing if they are scoping our home out. So now I've got to sleep armed not knowing if anything could come of it or if I'm just being paranoid. Just a very weird situation and I have a family to look after.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

We have an older model that has been amazing, and we recently purchased a new one. We have had it less than 90 days and it started having problems. I called the company for support and after sitting on hold almost an hour I was told to "take it to the closest service center". No one did any type of troubleshooting or asked any questions about what might be wrong. They just direct me to have it look at it. They don't cover diagnostic cost or labor to fix it. Its limited 3yr warranty only covers parts that are manufacture default.

So now I get to waste time trying to get a $1000+ vacuum fixed, when if I would have just purchased a new one from almost anywhere else I could just go exchange it. Also, my sales rep told me they have a "great inexpensive lifetime rebuild program." When I called on it we decided against it since it would have cost me as much as buying a new refurbished one by the time I paid shipping and fees. Not to mention I was quoted 3-4 MONTHS before it would be returned.

Kirby author review by Sandy Baker

The Kirby Company is a division of the Scott Fetzer Company, which was founded in 1914. It is named after Jim Kirby, who designed the company's early vacuum cleaners.

• Scheduled demonstrations: Potential buyers can schedule demonstrations to help them decide whether they want to own Kirby vacuums.

• Useful tools: Kirby home care systems have tools that let them convert into everything from air pumps to carpet shampoo systems.

• Customer service: Kirby offers a wide range of customer services, including online how-to videos and phone support.

• Limited warranty: All Kirby vacuums come with three-year limited warranties.

• Maintenance services: Rebuild and maintenance services are available to lengthen the life of Kirby vacuums.

by Sandy Baker Contributing Writer

Sandy Baker has written for ConsumerAffairs since 2021. Along with the advice and information her articles provide to consumers, she’s written several books that focus on topics such as retirement planning, bankruptcy, business finance, estate planning and personal credit health.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Company Information