1.98/5

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

For nearly one-hundred years, The Kirby Company has manufactured superior, American-made home cleaning systems. Kirby does not sell directly to the public but continues a long tradition of distributing its home cleaning systems through independent distributors, who are responsible for running their own businesses. Over the years, this distribution system has afforded thousands of men and women the opportunity to live the American dream of owning and operating their own businesses.

Experience has taught us that customers prefer to try our premium cleaning systems in their own homes before purchasing. Customer satisfaction is our top priority. If customers have any questions or concerns regarding the in-home demonstrations of Kirby cleaning systems or the cleaning systems themselves, please email us at consumer@kirbywhq.com, or call us at 800-494-8586, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., EST.

View More View More

1733 Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 15, 2019

Remember family having one that was probably 20 years old when I was 7. They replaced it over something stupid without letting me look at it (I was already repairing lamp cords and other kids toys lol). Found a Heritage II dumped out for the trash 5 years or so ago. This vacuum would have been brand new when I was 7. Couldn’t pass it up. $40 and I did a complete rebuilt including replacing the broken plastic part that connected the bag to the vacuum. This machine blew me away. I have never seen a vacuum work as well as it did. I had a Shark professional that it replaced as a daily cleaner. I had no attachments so I decided to make the plunge and get a new one. Contrary to what rumors spread these can be purchased for a lot less than the price usually seen floating around on reviews.

In comes my Avalir 2. Put it all together and it’s absolutely awesome. It makes a much more stable vacuum when using the hose and not as an upright than the shark. It’s extremely powerful, and even comes with power assist. Using this is nowhere near clunky like a mower. It’s butter smooth requiring you to do absolutely nothing. It has a transmission in it and it senses when you push forward and pull back. It’s literally butter smooth. You don’t know it’s powered. You just click it on and it simple makes the vacuum feel 1/4 the weight it is. The attachments are well thought out and useful rather than some crappy junk thrown together to say it has a bunch of features. The Kirby’s are well designed and useful. I have no problems reaching my 10 foot ceiling without it being uncomfortable. In canister mode it rolls around with me easily I don’t have to constantly pick it up and move it a few feet. The ability to adjust height is great and easy to use.

Needless to say there is no better vacuum made. I’ve seen and or used about all the other so called top of the line ones and they felt cheap and were almost all plastic. When you buy a Kirby, you buy it for life. The maintenance is even simple enough anyone what can change oil would have no trouble at all keeping one going for decades without ever needing serviced at a shop.

Typically I would run my shark over the wood floor and then follow up with a mop. The mop would always be filthy. After a good pas with the Kirby and running the brush quickly around the corners I went back with the mop to shine it and get some stick spots up. The mop was so clean I didn’t have to wash anything off it before putting it up. Basically it just added floor shine and removed some sugary drops that got sticky. I have not received the shampoo, grout and tile, and wood floor cleaning parts, at that point it will replace the old shampooer I have and the little Swiffer like mop. You might think you bought a Cadillac vacuum at 300 bucks, but a Kirby is the Rolls Royce of vacuums, and no you don’t have to pay 3000 dollars for one, you can get one under a grand. They are also extremely nice looking with polished aluminum bodies.

There are two types of people in the world, ones with clean houses and others who don’t yet own a Kirby. It’s worth every cent and it will stay with you for life, and that counts for something today when everything is designed to be disposable. After you buy 2 sharks, you have basically paid for a Kirby. Just get the Kirby.

I cannot rate the salesman service as there weren’t any within 300 miles of me so I had to order it online and assemble it myself, and I don’t get the special Kirby perks. I dont work for Kirby or own Kirby stock. It’s the truth. The Kirby is not all just hype. It’s worth every penny, both my 40 something year old heritage II and the new Avalir 2 both prove it. They are built the same with the same high quality parts. In fact if it wasn’t due to Kirby adding a safety switch on the new model to keep it from turning on the motor without something covering the suction fan all the attachments and heads would be interchangeable. The parts to keep it alive forever are dirt cheap, and easy to change.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I've had my Kirby Sentra for 6 years now. It's the best vacuum cleaner I've ever owned. I've had every other type of big box retail cleaner - Dyson, Shark, Toshiba, Sharp, Bosch, Dirt Devil, Hoover, and every type of shop-vac imaginable - and all have worked fine, however nothing compares to the Kirby. The Kirby is by far, one of the best vacuum cleaners made worldwide.

A few notes; a brand new Kirby is like a brand new Mercedes - they're expensive brand new. If you're looking to buy a Kirby, do what I did and buy a used one from eBay or Amazon. A Kirby is not some Chinese made piece of plastic junk - it'll last a lifetime and there are thousands of testimonials to back that up. It's a solid, heavy duty piece of American made machinery and the company has been in business since 1906. The brand has an international reputation for quality and performance that is over a hundred years old - so for those that don't know the history of the company and product, it's sold on a door-to-door basis, however you can find dealers that repair them and sell used ones.

Many reviewers seem to be in sticker shock at the price of a new Kirby, but put it in perspective. An iPad or tablet computer would set you back the same amount and you'd be lucky if the thing lasted 3 years. Used Kirby's are usually in fantastic shape, however there may be one that was used by some idiot to vacuum gravel driveways, so do your homework just like you would with a used car. Once you've familiarized yourself with your Kirby use it properly - don't lug it up and down the stairs, use the proper disposable cloth bags which do an excellent job of catching dust. The suction power on a Kirby is amazing as well. Once a year, just like your car, take it to a Kirby dealer for a major tune up and cleaning. You'll be glad you did. Your Kirby will last you for much longer than any other vacuum cleaner you've ever bought. I know, because every brand of vacuum cleaner I mentioned above, I don't have anymore. They all broke.

Get expert buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

Clearly the reviews other than how Kirby's are sold on here are caused from owner operator. Btw let me begin by saying we had a Dyson, Hoover & Dirt Devil and all are in our dump now. Wife had a Dyson when we married. After owning Kirby of my own for almost 20 years and using my mom's old design in the 60/70's I absolutely know the do/don'ts on them and I'll explain.

If the owners saying they don't have suction would only go to Youtube and watch vids or read how to set the machine upright, maybe even paid attention to the demonstration if they ever had one they'd know it's not set correctly so it will indeed fail to pick up dirt & small particles of paper. Its nozzle has to be set correctly or it will fail because Kirby aren't designed to just skim above carpet like a Dirt Devil, Hoover or Dyson etc.

Kirby are deep cleaning units that "when" set up right actually lift the carpet up off the actual floor in front of the suction head. So' if you don't see it lifting carpet you're not setting it right. Having said this Kirby does miss a serious step when teaching operation and so my own trial and error came into play. Missed step? Oh yes' because if you have small paper/plastic/food pieces lying all over the room then one must start with the Kirby vacuum just above the carpet like a cheap vac runs at first. This is where the above mentioned cheap vacs are set even at their lowest settings and why people "think" they clean so great when they actually miss the deep down dirt/sand that destroys all your carpet fibers over time.

Oh yes cheap vacuumed carpets look clean and you see the dirt in the canister but your deep dirt remains unless a Kirby gets it out. In truth "No" vac built today will get it all out not even built in wall vacs but nothing gets you as close to this as a Kirby. NOTHING! Now after what I call the top skimmer setting is ran, I set my Kirby to its "advertised" normal setting position as shown in the Kirby videos.

The reason for an extra step is there is no room between the roller brush and carpet for the larger pieces so it pushes them around since a Kirby actually lifts the carpet up. It's why it cleans under carpets too and others will not come close to that. So I just set mine exactly how Kirby says but I'll raise it a click or two as I encounter any larger pieces sitting on top of the carpet to allow it to pass between brush/carpet. Nothing hard about that and it makes a world of difference. Kirby must know it & should include it.

So if a Kirby working good/bad is all about the setting folks! Also there are several aftermarket bag companies selling bags too restrictive so buyer beware on your bags. Had some bad ones myself. Heavy? Not at all after learning how to use/pick it up correctly. I have 7 bad discs in my back and it's not an issue. I don't have stairs though but learn on vids how to pick one up right. It's not bad.

It's heavier built to last and have real power. Truth is lightweight electric motors have very little copper windings inside and why they simply wear out after a few yrs. Many today now use junk China copper plated aluminum winding even. This is for any electric motor btw, it need the copper to last. It's why Kirbys are passed down generations but many who inherit them have no idea how they even work and leave bad reviews everywhere and touting Dyson's rule when they don't.

They don't mention how many times the cheap vacs been to a shop or they're on their 3rd unit or motor in ten yrs. Simply stop in and ask any vacuum repair shop to see their back room you'll see what truly keeps them in business. Hoovers & Bissels but mainly Dysons line these shops. WATCH A KIRBY VIDEO OR READ UP ON THEM IF YOURS IS NOT VACUUMING, IT WILL HELP IN OPERATION. I ASSURE YOU... By far Kirby makes the best vacs made in over 100 yrs if you know exactly how to operate one. I can only hope these people never ever inherit bulldozers.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

The first Kirby my family ever purchased was back in the early 90's. I remember the vacuum salesman coming in and my dad being a bit annoyed. We had that particular one for about 10 years before he bought a new one around 2002. Fast forward to 2016. I have been through pretty much every cheaper brand of vacuum from Bissell to Hoover to Dirt Devil to Shark. I have used Dyson's at work and they don't last very long. Actually most store bought brands do not last long at all with proper care. I decided I wanted a Kirby like I had growing up. It was always reliable as actually cleaned.

I found a person selling a used one for $50 because they had just bought the newest version. The version I got was the Sentria, so not that old at all. It has been well taken care of. I got home and I vacuumed the whole house. The new bag I had put in ended up getting completely full—that's how dirty our carpet was even though I vacuumed religiously. I've had this vacuum for two years now and today I used the shampooer on a stinky rug that my dog vomited on. It cleaned it well and took the smell out. I want to now list the pros and cons of the system.

PROS: It doesn't just vacuum. You can shampoo, use as an air pump, sand things, and a ton more... Kirby's last forever. They are the Toyota of vacuum cleaners. Changing the bags are easy. Putting on basic attachments and using the regular head is easy. Finding parts is easy since you can find pretty much anything in Amazon. Great suction. Versatile. Durable (I spent the same amount of money in vacuums over a 7 yr period when I could have just bought the Kirby). CONS: It's clunky and heavy. There are tons of parts so reading the manual is a must if you want to do more than basic vacuuming. It's hard to find a system that isn't being sold by a salesman. Sales tactics suck when you come in contact with a salesperson. (JUST BUY USED AND SKIP THE MAN.)

Most of the reviews I read had more to do with the sales tactics than the actual machine. The ones where people had complaints about the machines was because they didn't want to do the work to put the attachments on or didn't read the instructions. You actually don't even have to read now. There's tons of videos on YouTube with how to use the Kirby. Overall, Kirby is a great product. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. It cleans better than store bought vacuums and it lasts forever. I'd recommend buying used or going to a vacuum/sew shop and purchasing—skip the salesman. They are independent sellers and can price things how they want.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Alright... Let me first start by saying my grandmother and my mom have both owned Kirby's. So I've heard of them and have used older models. 2 younger men came to our home, said they were just in the area and wanted to clean a room for us and that we weren't obligated to buy anything at all. Come on now... anyone that comes to your door wanting to give away free stuff or wants to just show you something is obviously going to try to sell you something. But anyway, we let them come in and do the demo. The guy that did the demo said he was new and he couldn't explain all the attachments, all he did was talk about needing to sell 14 more to win his free trip. Whatever... idgaf. I bought one anyway.

I don't write many reviews about products because I've never seen the need to. But I've read a LOT of these reviews and the vast majority of them do a LOT of complaining about the salespeople. SO WHAT!?! Those people... even if they are annoying or pushy... are just trying to make a living. The point I want to make in this review is the fact that everyone seems so concerned with how the salespeople act or what they say or supposedly lie about, that they lose focus on what the review should be about. THE ACTUAL VACUUM/CLEANER. My thoughts on the demo/salespeople wasn't great at all. The company needs to come up with a better strategy for their distributors. My thoughts on the Kirby (Avalir 2) itself. There are many pros and many cons, but to name a few...

PROS... 1. All in one. Vacuum, shampooer, carpet, hardwood, grout, tile, fans, windows, etc. With all the attachments.... anything can be cleaned. 2. Space. With it being all in one... all the attachments and cleaning supplies can be kept in 1 place, depending on your storage. 3. Its light weight movement when it's in drive... it glides very easily across carpets and floors. 4. The company will detail the machine for free once a year. 5. It does do a great job with vacuuming and shampooing. It wasn't at first but after a few YouTube videos... I found out that I wasn't taking and putting the attachments on correcting (green to green, red to red) and the belt wasn't letting the rollers move. 6. Warranty.

CONS... 1. It's heavy, I didn't weigh it but I watched a YouTube video of a guy putting it on a scale and it weighed 22.6lbs. It's interesting that it can be so heavy yet move so easily. 2. Having to take it apart and back together for different areas or attachments. (BUT I will add that it gets easier once you learn how to use it properly it doesn't take as long and doesn't seem as overwhelming.) 3. The price!!! 4. Bags. This is the first I've owned that needed bags and I'm not fond of that but it's easy to replace and they aren't expensive. (And for those reviews that complain about the bags being $10-13 each... who buys a 1,500-2,000 vacuum that doesn't have the 10 bucks to spare every few months. It's like buying a 50k car and then complaining about needing to spend 30 bucks on an oil change.)

5. Wear shoes while using it. I can't count how many times I've backed it up right into my feet. I've never done that with other vacuums but for some reason I do with this and it hurts... lol. Basically... just like with anything, the Kirby may or may not be for you. I'm keeping mine. I love it. But I can see why some others don't like it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby?

Original review: June 17, 2019

First, I'll comment on the salesman experience since that seems to be the main reason Kirby has gotten so many low reviews. Yes, it was very long. I'd say around 4 hours, however, to be fair this vacuum does A LOT so it would be very difficult to see what all it can do in a super short amount of time. The gentleman that did our demonstration was super nice. I'll throw in here that I had 9 kids at the time who were all into the demonstration and he was really cool about it and even let them use it. He was very thorough and in the process vacuumed my sofa, loveseat, walls, curtains, ceiling and mattress as well as cleaned a couple of windows. Even if I hadn't bought it, it was worth the time just to get all that cleaning done for free!

Now, onto what the Kirby can do. What really sold me on it was the fact that I had literally just washed and dried my sofa and loveseat cushion covers and put them back on about 10 minutes before he arrived. The dirt that the Kirby was sucking out when I had just cleaned them really amazed me. It even pulled a tremendous amount of dirt out of the living room area rug I had just bought that day! Besides all that, this vacuum does it all...vacuums, shampoos, air cleaner, inflator, window cleaner, unclogs sinks...you can even paint with it (spray). It has tons of attachments for basically anything you'll ever need to do in the cleaning world. I've kept my vehicle upholstery looking brand new and cleaning curtains while they are still hanging and vacuuming ceilings are a breeze. I have had my Kirby for almost 2 years now and it is by far the smartest purchase I have made for all my cleaning needs.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 10, 2019

My husband bought a Kirby Vacuum and gave our two other vacuums to Kirby. We couldn't afford the Kirby vacuum so we returned it. Kirby picked up the vacuum but didn't return our vacuums. We have tried calling and never got a voicemail and the salesman's phone is dead now. We also left a voicemail. It has been two weeks. I just want to get my old vacuums back. They stole my vacuums and I want them returned.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Niki, we are very concerned with your message. Could you please call The Kirby Company Headquarters so we can gather more information about the independent distributors you purchased your Kirby from to further assist you? Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 9, 2019

DO NOT BUY!!!! NOT WORTH IT!!!! Always breaks down. Just a year old. Gets clogged up so often, even with no traffic in the area. Wish I never bought it.

Waste of money. Can't get a human to talk to or even someone to call me back.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Wanda, we are concerned with your message. Could you please call The Kirby Company Headquarters so we can gather more information about the independent distributor you purchased from and the issues you're having with your Kirby to further assist you? We look forward to hearing from you!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 7, 2019

I don’t want to make this too long, but long story short, back in April I had 2 salesmen to show up at my door. They said they were gonna clean 2 rooms for free, which I really had been wanting to shampoo my carpets for a month or so. So, a few minutes into his “demo”, I went ahead and told him that my husband and I would not be able to get this, we were in bankruptcy. He said, that’s no problem, I also told him I was a stay at home mom, and don’t have income, only my husband. Anyway, yes, I was impressed with the vacuum, it’s great, but I know now how he got me approved. After 4 hours he said for me to fill out the application in me and my husband's name. It wouldn’t qualify, he made several calls.

So, I was actually glad, I knew that it couldn’t be approved in my name only, as I have no income. He told me to sign a blank application and he would take care of transferring all the info from the other application I had done in mine and my husband's name, as this only needed my info. So, I said sure, but I knew there was no chance of me getting approved. Well, that makes me a dummy. I had stepped away to go to the restroom and change my toddler's diaper. When I got back in my living room, he said I was approved. I was shocked. Skipping ahead a little, Monterey Financial is my financing place. Well, I have yet to receive my contract. I went to my storage room to get my owner's manual a couple of days ago, it was in the box with all my accessories.

I find the copy of the credit app folded in the book. Wow, was I in shock, I seen that he had added income in it. He had put that I was on disability and made 1200 monthly. I’m a very healthy 42 year old, no heath problems. How can they do this. So, Monterey Financial has yet to send my contract. I’m going on what the sales guy said, which is 72$ a month for 3 years, please everyone, add that up. He sold it to me for 2000, and I had to give him a voided check just to get the finance. They are gonna take it auto draft, already have taken 1st payment. Anyway, I called Monterey and asked for a copy of my contract, well, I have not received anything.

In fact, when I asked her to email it, she was so rude, asked me, "well didn’t you get one when you signed it," I never signed a contract, I only signed the agreement for them to debit my account for 3 years. Then she said, I’ll send it email. Okay, got an email with a file that is not able to be opened, I call back, get a different rude person. She said, "didn’t someone just email you a copy," I said yes, but it’s either empty or corrupt. Of course, I tried to open it on my desktop too, she asked, then she said, "Well we will mail one," she said she had no access to email!!!! I so mad at this situation, Kirby get this vacuum back!!! I was robbed 2 times!!!

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Terri, we are very concerned with your experience with an independent Kirby salesperson. Could you please give us a call so we can gather more information and further assist you? Thank you for your feedback, we look forward to hearing from you!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 2, 2019

I live in a no solicitation apartment complex but a man still came to my house. My husband and I are nice people so we let this guy demonstrate. 5 minutes ended up turning into 4 hours. It was 10pm by the time he left which happened after we finally said yes. He made it sound like we were getting a military discount and since my husband was just starting in the military we didn’t understand that interest would boost the price this high. I’ve used it very little and it just doesn’t get the job done. The attachments and stuff were cool but the vacuum itself just isn’t good. Kirby, come get your vacuum. I’m not paying $2,000+. It just isn’t worth it.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Kye, Could you please give us a call so we can gather more information from you and further assist you? Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you!

Original review: June 1, 2019

Upgraded from a Diamond to an Avalir 2. I made no mistake. Never again will shop for anything else. Salesman don't bother me none. (Seems the bad reviews are about that experience mostly.) Makes for a nice entertaining visit if you ask me. I like it. I'm sold before they get to my house. Lol. Not everyone is a Kirby owner, if that's you....head to Walmart and enjoy your dirt.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Julie, we are so pleased to hear you upgraded and are happy with your Avalir 2! Thank you for the review!

Original review: June 1, 2019

Today Kirby people came to our door. They said that it was just a promotional visit and a tech would just clean our carpet. The first rep stated that it was so they could win a trip to Hawaii or Jamaica. Once he started his demonstration, we realized it was a sales pitch. I don't how many times the tech took the same parts off his vacuum, which at first gave me the impression he didn't know how to use his equipment. During his presentation several times he stated that he lost his wife and he was caring for his kids. Even though we stated several times we were not interested in purchasing a Kirby Vacuum/ Carpet Cleaner he insisted on showing us prices, discounts, etc.

He then several times brought up that other homeowners he demonstrated for gave him a tip for cleaning their carpet making us feel pressured that we should give him one. Which we did to get him out of the house. It took him over 2 hours to get around to cleaning our carpet. He stated that the carpet would take only half an hour to dry. Actually, it took several hours to dry. The supposed "dry foam" system. After it finally dried, we have 3 brand new black streaks across our light brown carpet. Needless to say, we are very unhappy with our experience and will not be purchasing any Kirby Products.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Phillip, We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your experience with an independent Kirby Salesperson. We take this kind of feedback very seriously, and have passed this along to our Consumer Relations Department. Thank you again for reaching out.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 29, 2019

I had just put my toddler to sleep when there was a loud knock on my door and a "hello!" like someone I knew was at the door. My dogs were going bananas and I was trying to get my kid to sleep so I opened the door. A can of Glade air freshener was shoved into my hand and I was given a short sob story about how this girl is just a poor intern who needs to clean a rug in my house to get something for her internship and won't I please just help her get out of this heat? I told her I needed to let my dogs out (I live in an apartment) and asked them to come back in 15 minutes, and she said "sure!" then I noticed someone else getting out of a very large SUV. She dropped off two boxes at my door and then proceeded to try to "help" me take my dogs out. I was unnerved by her over-familiarity. She walked into my apartment like she owned it. She made a show of petting my dogs. I should have told her to go then.

I know about Kirby. A family member has one that I'm pretty sure Adam and Eve used to vacuum the Garden of Eden. But, sure, I'm up for a demo. Over the next three and a half hours I learned about Kirby. Sounded like a good machine. Seemed to vacuum well. Admitting that it appeared to be a good product was a huge mistake. I was repeatedly told my home was filthy and unsafe for my daughter. The salesperson kept inferring that I was a sheltered housewife unable to make her own decisions when I told her my husband wasn't on board with buying one. She suddenly became very interested in knowing the details of my husband's job and his schedule (probably to determine if we could afford her asking price, but who knows? maybe she also wanted to come back knowing that my husband takes call for work and I'd be home alone and more vulnerable).

I explained that I'm in the process of purchasing a historic home that's going to need significant repairs and don't need to buy a $2500 vacuum when I already have one that works just fine. "I would say that it doesn't," was her response. I explained that my husband and I make decisions jointly about purchases of this size. Her friendly demeanor started breaking. She was obviously getting upset. She would intermittently swear during her commentary like we were now buddies. I was alone with my daughter and knew she had a whole troupe of people with her. I was feeling coerced. I kept telling her no. Not right now. Maybe once I'm settled. She was relentless.

Over the course of 3.5 hours I will never get back, the price of a Kirby went from over $2500 to TWO Kirbys for the price of one and on and on until ending at $700. $15 a month with no prepayment penalty and I wouldn't have to start making payments for three months. There were repeated phone calls between the sales rep and her boss where she would act excited because she was just informed that she was only ONE SALE AWAY from winning an all-expense paid trip to a Club Med in Florida AND would have a chance to drive Lamborghinis (because other people ahead of her in sales numbers didn't have driver's licenses. Uhm, what?).

I explained that because I am in the process of buying a house with unforeseen expenses I wasn't willing to commit any funds to a vacuum cleaner when I already had one that worked. By this point, she had already told me that she was new to the area (but had literally no idea where some of the major landmarks were), and had a horrible living situation. Was trying to make money for her sick and disabled family members back home, several states away. She couldn't even bring her car here from Other State, it was too run-down. Wouldn't I just text my husband pictures of all the dirt? The great deal she was trying to give me for a Kirby Clean Home? Her boss was going to lose money on the deal - but they get paid by volume so he doesn't care! I could buy it and return it no questions asked within 3 days! She's been there for returns and they're so easy-breezy about it! If she makes a sale and I return it, she'll still get credit!

What I didn't tell her was that I've spent years in sales and I know a dirty pitch when I hear one. I'm not going to lie, if she had come in and professionally presented the vacuum and given me the $700 option off the bat, I may have bought one. But she rolled out literally every single underhanded sales tactic in the book. She tried tapping into mom guilt (am I really going to let my daughter play on these filthy floors?), trying to help someone else out (the contests she'd win! She's down on her luck, bad family and living situations, short on cash, new to town), making me feel like I was just a widdle housewife (do I really let my husband do the deciding for me?). She would intermittently take text messages from friends and family and remark on how they were encouraging her: "Keep at it! I know you can do it!" like I'm the only thing keeping her parents from finally saying "I'm proud of you."

Once I had finally convinced her I wasn't buying a vacuum (whoops, "they're not a ** vacuum, they're SO MUCH MORE, as the sales rep would say), she just started acting mean. I had already profusely apologized for taking up so much of her time when she had already told me she gets $10 per demonstration (which I'm sure is also untrue). When I first told her "no," she just smiled and assured me it was okay, but by the end she was visibly agitated. She tried to go upstairs to demo the Kirby on my bedroom mattress. I refused. She had already intruded enough. She asked me what else she could do to earn my business. Intimidated and, again, uncomfortable, I told her that her sales pitch was fine but that the timing just wasn't right. I swear at this point she rolled her eyes.

She then cleaned up the vacuum while still in my living room and packed it back up like it was brand new. I started wondering how many other homes that Kirby had cleaned. How disrespectful it was to introduce another home's dirt into my place (especially given her emphasis on how gross the homes are before they get a Kirby Clean). She took a phone call and said she needed picked up. When there was another knock on the door she just hollered "Come on in!" like it was her place to do so, and without any regard for my sleeping child upstairs.

Another rep walks in, doesn't bother removing his shoes, and they "tut tut" together as she explains that I won't pay just $15/month for a Kirby Clean Home because I don't want to upset my husband and can he believe I would turn down such a deal? She went on to say that I even asked "all the buying questions!" like making product inquiries suddenly obligates me to purchase. She made sure to ask me for a forwarding address so she can contact me again after I move. I just wanted it to be over.

So now I'm not only turned off by the whole Kirby brand, but I'm worried about this "distributor" group breaking into my house. I will be warning friends and neighbors about these scammers and you can be sure that the next time I see someone with a Kirby box, I'll be asking the local police to remove them from my property. Last thing - I keep seeing Kirby respond that they're not affiliated with "the agreements of their distributorships." I'd strongly suggest they start looking into it because these folks will kill their business.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi A, we are disappointed and concerned to hear about your experience with an independent Kirby Salesperson. Would you please give us a call so we can further assist you and gather more information regarding your situation? Thank you for reaching out. We look forward to hearing from you!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 27, 2019

Similar to many of the 1 star reviewers, it was a nice Sunday afternoon when the doorbell rang. My brother answered the door and a young guy handed us a hot pink flyer and said he’s trying to open up a carpet cleaning business and would love to clean a room or our stairwell just so we’d recommend him to friends. We shrugged and said "sure why not". He said he was finishing up an elderly lady’s carpets and would be back in 15 minutes. He came back and dumped another guy and two large boxes on us, saying the other guy was more experienced and we’d be in great hands. This other guy was really nice and conversational at first, while he was taking time to set up all these ridiculously complicated parts.

He cleaned a couple of the stairs and kept saying how abnormally dirty our newer carpets were even though we had 2 dogs. We were very friendly and conversational and pretty straightforward, saying that it did seem to be doing a great job cleaning, but we didn’t think we could afford such a fancy vacuum since we’re both in our mid-20’s and don’t make great $.

I think after around a half hour of us being insanely honest and saying it was something that not only was out of our budget, but that we would never really want to budget for, especially for 3 years worth of financing with high interest. He finally asked to use one of our phones to call his manager since his phone wasn’t working. While he waited for the manager to pick him up his demeanor completely changed and he became quiet and terse. Then the manager knocked on our door and we let him in. He said he’d take our golden retriever as a down payment and asked if we were buying 2 vacuums, one for each floor.

We said no at least a dozen times and said "thanks for the demo but we’re really not able to afford it." I had also googled Kirby vacuums while they were there and found the Consumer Affairs reviews so I knew for sure that they were scammers. I think it was only because there were 3 adults in my home at the time all saying no to the vacuum that they finally gave up on us and left. After vacuuming 3 of maybe 20 stairs. The salesmen (4+ guys) hung around our neighborhood until almost 11 at night in a sketchy white van and I think got a few of our neighbors. I wanted to go interrupt their sales so badly but it was late at night to knock on neighbors doors so I held back. Makes me so angry they’re dooming people to years of debt for a product that is mediocre and breaks easily.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Alissia, we are disappointed to hear about your experience with an independent Kirby Salesperson. Would you please give us a call so we can further assist you and gather more information regarding your situation? Thank you for reaching out. We look forward to hearing from you!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 25, 2019

On May 18th. I purchased a Kirby from a door to door salesman. What began as a quick demonstration turned into a two hour nightmare. I was told one date and price of monthly payments by the salesman. When I called to verify I was told another date and price to pay for monthly payments. (This is my fault.) I should've looked at the retail contract that evening. Because it had a third price and date for monthly payments. I have tried my best to contact customer service. And so far nothing. I do not normally leave reviews. But this was a nightmare. Please Please do not purchase a Kirby.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Verneda, please give us a call so we can further assist you and gather more information regarding your situation. Thank you for reaching out. We look forward to hearing from you!

Original review: May 8, 2019

I have had a Kirby for over 30 years and love it. I would use no other vacuum. My grandmother had a Kirby while I was growing up and loved it. I agree with other reviews that if you learn how to use it you would love it too. Remember to push to lever with “D” on it and it just glides across the carpet. My Kirby picks up every little thing, even on tile and hardwood. On carpet it does wonderful, even little threads are no match for my Kirby. Love It!!!!

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Charlene, we are so thrilled to hear about your experience with your Kirby! Thank you so much for sharing, and happy cleaning!

Original review: April 28, 2019

First off. Let me start by saying I am a disabled 51 year old grandma. I live in a college town and when someone was banging on my door this morning at 9amish I saw a young college looking kid standing there with an umbrella. On both sides of me, my neighbors are college kids. I thought it was one of them coming to borrow something as they sometimes do here and there. Even though it is April, we were having a snowstorm today, and the guy was standing there with an umbrella and I said, "OMG. Come in!"

He handed me a bottle of Gain Dish soap and said, "Are you an honest person?" I laughed and said, "Yes I hope so!" For a moment I thought one of these kids must of borrowed dish soap from me and I didn't remember. So the guy goes, "I'll be right back," and quickly leaves. I was so confused. Then a different young man comes back. He said he was 21 and trying to sell vacuums. I said, "Oh I dont have any money, I live on disability." He said, "It's ok, if you just allow me to do the demonstration I'll get $50." So I say ok, thinking it will be some fifteen minute thing and I will have helped someone.

So the kid comes in and starts talking then started to gag. I was like, "Are you ok?" He says, "Yes. I just have stomach problems." He continues to keep talking but keeps gagging. It was so strange. He eventually uses the bathroom which I offered a couple times because he looked like he was going to be sick. I give him some water then some juice as he said they were in Chicago the night before on a business trip and they haven't eaten since. I felt bad. This kid hadn't eaten anything.

Well a good hour and a half later he's still trying to sell me this vacuum. I tell him my dog is having surgery on Monday and that will the last of anything left on my credit card, I simply don't have money. He then makes a phone call to someone and is saying, "She doesn't have money cuz of her dog," and the guy on the phone hangs up on him. So now I realize the guy who dropped him off has left and this guy is just sitting here at my house. I'm sick and just want to go lie down but now I have this young kid stuck at my house in a snowstorm with nowhere to go and he's sick too. So he asks if he can just sit on the couch and watch tv with me.

So as we awkwardly sat there the boss finally calls back and seems like he's giving this kid a hard time. I honestly felt really bad for this young guy. I mean I'm sure he didn't want to be stuck sitting there with me as much as I didn't want to be stuck sitting there with him. So his boss is telling him to ask me all these questions. Dumb pushy questions that are so obviously insulting and rude. He hangs up again and then a bang on my door and some new guy walks in. This is the third guy now that has just come into my house. He starts yelling and running around the house saying, "Look at this dirt, look at this filth" (talking about the dirt that was on the white paper things that they collect when vacuuming.)

He says, "Would you want your kids or grandkids to be playing in this filth?" He made me so nervous like he was yelling at me that I was disgusting or something. I was getting scared. He then started saying all these things like if I can put away four quarters in a coffee can a day that I could afford this vacuum. He totally did not care that I was sick, on disability, taking care of two blind animals, my dog and cat and one other sick cat. He just kept cutting me off and saying how dirty it was and that I was making a choice to live in filth. (This little house I live in was completely remodeled just a couple years ago and nothing is old, dirty or gross.)

The young kid kept gagging randomly throughout this whole time, he was clearly sick and I hope I don't catch anything! So then the guy starts running around my house again, and he's like, "Let me clean up these paper things" that they gathered from vacuuming up dirt. And he's like, "Where is the garbage can." I said, "Right there next to the fridge," I'm in a tiny house that the living room and kitchen are kinda one big room. He is like, "Is that a garbage can or cat litter?" I'm like, "I don't think cat litters would be four feet tall," like wtf. He was so weird!

So then he's like, "Let me put the vacuum and steam cleaner way." (They had gotten all my stuff out of the storage room to compare.) He kept calling my steam cleaner old even through I just had bought it a couple months ago. So anyways, he puts the steam cleaner away then says should I put the vacuum cleaner away too? I'm thinking, "Well obviously since you guys came here and pulled all this crap out you should now put it away." But I didn't answer quickly and he said, "Ok if you don't want me to I won't" and just left it sitting there.

So finally after an obnoxious two hours at least, they leave. I was honestly scared they were not going to leave. I am even nervous writing this review and double locking my doors now. It was a scary experience. When the third and last guy that came in finally left, I said quickly to the young 21 year old, "Get a different job." He said, "See what I have to deal with" and left.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Lisa, we are very concerned with your experience with an Independent Salesperson. While The Kirby Company is not affiliated with the agreements of the distributorships, we take matters like this very seriously. Could you please give us a call so we can gather a few more details to look into this? We appreciate your time and look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I own a Heritage II Legend and it still runs like it was built yesterday. The G series need transmission repairs but the motors won't die. The side vent on G series blows too hard. I'll only use a Kirby.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Donald, we are so happy your Heritage II Legend is running like new still! Happy cleaning!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 16, 2019

I fell for the same sales pitch that apparently works so well on gullible people. As such I traded in my Dyson to get a discount form the inflated price of the Kirby. The Kirby cost more than double what I paid for my Dyson and I so wish I had never made the switch. I put the Dyson through hell and it never broke or disappointed me at all. The Kirby, on the other hand, has had a broken power switch for 90% of the time I've owned it. It now sits in a closet as a reminder to be a smarter consumer.

One might well ask "well why didn't you have it fixed?" That's a great question. I live in Maine (where Kirby somehow easily found me) but there are no Kirby repair centers in my state. I contacted the Kirby Support Team who's only suggestion was to bring it to the nearest Kirby Repair facility to get it fixed at my own expense. (The repair facility said that it would be a minimum of $100.) So I'd have to spend roughly $200 in travel and repair costs (not to mention my time) to get it fixed. So in an attempt to offset my losses I now own a $50 throw away vacuum cleaner. Don't buy a Kirby!!!

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Jack, While The Kirby Company is not affiliated with the agreements of the distributorships, we greatly appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Thank you for your time and writing a review to provide us some insight.

Original review: April 3, 2019

A young lady came to my door and begged me to do a demonstration. She was new here, from Arkansas and desperately needed to make her numbers. Being a single mom, I said she could clean one carpet. Then it went to hell. She then went and got a guy from her car and I was instantly uncomfortable. Then she left him there! I kept saying I needed to go get my daughter and he said she would be back soon. Three hours later he calls his supervisor and his supervisor keeps telling him to ask me questions. Finally when I agreed to hear the sales speech did the supervisor agree to come over and pick up this guy. But then I couldn't get them to leave. They made all these statements like, for just a $1 you can try it for a month. You have an entire month to return it if you don't like it.

Kirby is a family company, they want you to like the products. So desperate to get them out, I said yes, and gave them $1.50. I followed all their instructions on returning the vacuum. The vacuum doesn't even work anymore! It smells like burnt rubber and turns off after just a couple of min. The receptionist at the main office told me to return the bottom of my contract and write out why I was returning and someone would come pick up my vacuum.

After two weeks, nobody came and I called back and some visiting manager told me I signed a contract and there was nothing they would do. I told them the contract even says "oral notification of cancellation rights". He was extremely rude and basically hung up on me. From then on it has been nothing but hell. I have exhausted every resource trying to get them off my credit. The company even changed its name because it had so many complaints. The creditors call me at all hours of the weekend and talk down to me. I have called the BBB and legal aid and have no idea what else to do. I am a single mom and don't have the money to fight them in court and now my credit is ruined.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Telle, We are very concerned with your message. While The Kirby Company is not affiliated with the agreements of the distributorships, we take matters like yours very seriously. Could you please give us a call so we can further assist you? We look forward to hearing from you!

Original review: April 2, 2019

I own a Kirby and when I bought it, I wanted to buy into the idea that these vacuums are made here, by Americans and sold by the underdog that lives in my community. I paid around 1000$ for this idea believing that I was buying a superior product... I now had my Kirby for less than five years the Kirby vacuum doesn’t want to stay on anymore. I called the Kirby company to find out that Kirby is a company that manufactures vacuums, and a 1000$ vacuum made by them is only good for a 3 years warranty... Hmmm this right here shows you how much they believe in their product. I was told by the Kirby company that was normal wear and tear and Kirby referred me to a local shop so I can get it fix at my cost.

Now brace yourself, I use this vacuum in my house 3-4 a month, and I will use it maybe 2-3 times a year to detail the interior of my car, so there is no overuse here. Well when I looked for a new on/off switch for a Kirby vacuum I about pooped myself! A on/off switch is around 50$ folks and that not even installed! So we are paying 50$ for a on/off switch that can only withstand 300-500 uses?!? My light switch cost less than a 1$ and as been is use since 1968 with not issues!!

Kirby then will tell you that they will rebuilt your vacuum too! The only thing is that you have to pay for sending it, that’s a 120-140$ round trip, oh and let’s not forget the rebuilding fee which does vary depending on which system you own... mine is is 178$. So, just with these 2 charges I could buy 2 spanking new vacuums that are just as powerful if not more than the Kirby with lifetime warranties!! I hope my review can save a least one person from ever buying this waste of money of a vacuum. Kirby will need to evolve if it wants to survive, the word is out and the reviews are low! If they don’t step up and start paying attention they will lose it all.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Sebastien, While The Kirby Company is not affiliated with the agreements of the distributorships, we take reviews like this very seriously. We appreciate you sending us your feedback about your experience.

Original review: March 31, 2019

I have owned my Kirby vacuum since 2000 when I purchased it new. Yes, it is not cheap but it is worth the money if you have allergies. I still use my vacuum cleaner all the time. The vacuum has a self propelled option by clicking the foot pedal. My allergist doctor also said that it is a get vacuum for me to have due to the HEPA filter.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Allison, thank you for your awesome review! We are so happy to hear about this experience with your Kirby, and glad your also doctor gave it the stamp of approval for your allergies!

Original review: March 29, 2019

Last night around 7pm I got a knock on the door, I open and it’s a man claiming to be part of a homeowners business and he needs an honest opinion, he then asked if I consider myself an honest person which I answered yes, and he says. "Well here’s this free Glade air freshener can compliments of my company". He asks if he can do a “free quick demonstration” and I knew immediately it was a scam. I told him I was in the middle of making supper, I literally had a butter knife with butter on it, in my hand and showed it to him, to which he says he’s just the door to door person and Shawna or Shana does the demonstrations, and wants to know if I’ll STILL do the demonstration (I assume because I’m a woman and I was the only one home, he thought I was nervous at the thought of a random guy in my home) to which I said, "No. I don’t have time".

He asks for his Glade air freshener back and I told him, "No problem, I don’t use those and I was going to throw it out anyway." (Air fresheners are bad for you!!) The more I said no, the more info he gave me, he didn’t mention till my second No that he was with Kirby vacuums which my mom made the mistake of buying back in 1996 so I knew immediately he was there to sell though he claimed he wasn’t selling anything (and he wasn’t, Shana or Shawna was). He acted all surprised when I told him no to a free demonstration and said “you don’t want a free cleaning?” I said I have a Meile (spelling might be wrong) vacuum and no. And he finally left. I can’t believe door to door sales pitches are still common, watch out especially come spring and summer 'cause that’s when they come door to door the most.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi R, While The Kirby Company is not affiliated with the agreements of the distributorships, we appreciate reviews like yours that provide us with your feedback on your experience. Thank you for your time to share your feedback.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I hate Kirby. The vacuum is decent. It does do better than our Bissell did. The Sentria 2. The salesman are sneaky as all get out. They DO NOT leave unless you buy. I had this happen before years ago. Bought one. Returned it next day. This time was different. 4 yrs ago it happened again. This time. I kept it. They trick you with dust mites. The scary horror stories and pictures of nasty bugs and sicknesses you can get without it.

This vacuum is BIG, HEAVY, Clunky, and a pain in the **. If you are not very strong. This is not for you. (They will tell you it is their lightest model) You literally have to disassemble it to switch to the hose. Which is a nightmare on its own. You have to switch to go from hard floors to carpet. You have to find the right setting for your carpet height or you will smell burning rubber. Or you will see all the dirt from your carpet bouncing out of the carpet not being sucked up. We also received the "shampooing" package. No idea how to use that. Or how you can shampoo anything with the attachments you get. You do not get a "tank" for the dirty water. We also did not receive any manuals which they said would be in the box.

One problem! You can not EVER reach them. They literally have to contact you if you want any service. Their website is a nightmare. Their auto payment set up is a headache. The belt set up is horrible! It snaps easily. The customer service is awful. Our last payment is due in a week. Auto pay. Just received a phone call. Apparently we are "11 days" late. Yet... no notice and we are set on THEIR auto payment plan. It was pay today or deal with the late payment consequences.

It took 4 yrs to pay it off. Keep that in mind! The other thing. They trick you by saying you get a discount because it is "their display" model. NO. They grab a NEW vacuum each time they sell one so that they can say it is the model. So that you feel like you are getting a HUGE discount. If I could rate this negative stars...it would be NEGATIVE 5+ stars. This company is not worth the vacuum. Not worth the price. Not with the hassle or headache. Not worth the hit to your credit.

It isn't so much the salesman's fault. It is after all their job. Cannot really knock a person who is actually trying to work. But, this company is 100% garbage! If you do decide to buy a Kirby keep these things in mind. MAKE SURE YOU DECIDE AN OWNER'S MANUAL! I hope this review has helped. Whether you decide it is the vacuum for you or not. Just keep all things in mind. T.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Tiffanie, we are deeply concerned about your experience with your Kirby. While The Kirby Company is not affiliated with the agreements of the distributorships, we take these matters very seriously. If you'd like more help with your Kirby and for us to address more of these questions/concerns, we would love to assist you. Please give us a call. Thank you!

Original review: March 28, 2019

I had a lady come to my house and gave me 4 hours pitch on the great vacuum cleaner and all the things it did. I was impressed with the demonstration but I was not looking to buy a vacuum any time soon. Especially one so heavy and expensive. She kept insisting and telling me all the things that a salesman would say, and to put the icing on the cake the last thing she did was telling me that if I purchased the vacuum I was going to have my house cleaned once a month for the next five years. They would come and vacuum the house and every 6 months they would do a thorough cleaning including mattress and ceiling fans...shampooing the carpets, anything the vacuum would do. That caught my attention.

Getting too old to do this on my own, that was the bait...and believing her I acted in good faith and paid her in cash the amount of 2,000.00. Yes, naive and stupid, guess that happens when you get old. Don't know if the agreement is no longer valid, or she left the company without letting us know. The phone calls are unanswered and that is that. Perhaps my mistake besides trusting her was paying that amount of money in cash for something that was too good to be true. There were a few skipped months last year, but this year, January was skipped, and now March, no answer either and no show. The vacuum? Just another overpriced, heavy vacuum that Works well, but so many other less expensive.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Gloria, we are deeply concerned about your experience regarding a Kirby Independent Salesperson. While The Kirby Company is not affiliated with the agreements of the distributorships, we take these matters very seriously. Would you please give us a call so we can further assist you in your questions addressed in your review? We look forward to hearing from you and appreciate you reaching out! Thank you!

Original review: March 28, 2019

We just had purchased a Kirby vacuum system worth 3500 USD/13500 AED here in Dubai UAE after a grueling 4.5 hours of sales pitching from their sales agent. We had repeatedly say NO to their sales agent as we don't have money but ended up purchasing by their sales tactic of one time big time promotions etc. However after 2 hours we had thought that we made a terrible mistake by purchasing the expensive item and immediately called up their sales agent and as well email Kirby company for return. However they said that once the item is sold it could not be returned back and they were hiding under UAE the consumer law that that we can only return item if it's faulty as per signed contract.

We had filed a complaint at Dubai Economic Development Customer Protection (DED) and to make the long story short Dubai Government instructed them to cancel the contract and have the item returned. The Company rep was insisting that we had signed the contract under UAE law but gladly Dubai Government looks after the welfare of the consumer. Now item had been happily returned to them and we had vowed not to entertain sale rep from this Company. So to all UAE residents that had opted to return the item immediately lodge a complain case at DED.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Camilo, we are sorry to read about your experience regarding a Kirby Independent Salesperson while trying to return your Kirby. While The Kirby Company is not affiliated with the agreements of the distributorships, we take these matters very seriously. Thank you for providing us with this feedback on your experience.

Original review: March 28, 2019

It is so long of a story to provide details, but it is so interesting reading all of these negative reviews. I remember back in the 50s when I was a teenager, a Kirby salesman gave my dad a very difficult time when he insisted he would not buy the vacuum. Then again in the 60s one of them came to my home and tried the same gimmicks. Once again, my husband was given a very bad time when he insisted he was not going to buy that vacuum. Then jump to the 90s. I was living alone after my divorce, and I got snookered!

I finally purchased a vacuum. What a mistake. The first pitch was that a friend of mine sent them to me because she was asking them to clean the carpet in one of my rooms as a gift. I thought that was a bit odd, since I really didn't know her that well, but they came in and "cleaned" the carpet. Lousy job. I bought the shampooer to go with it, and that shampooer was worthless. Then I realized that I had purchased a used vacuum, probably one that had been used many times for demonstrations. I know. I've always been a bit gullible. I went through hell trying to get some compensation. I finally gave the vacuum to the local Salvation Army store. This company has been using these tactics for YEARS!! And I have been warning people about them ever since! NO VACUUM CLEANER IS WORTH OVER $2,000!

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Elizabeth, While The Kirby Company is not affiliated with the agreements of the distributorships, we greatly appreciate your feedback on your experience. Thank you again for reaching out and providing feedback on your experience.

Original review: March 24, 2019

A lady was in the neighborhood passing out fliers stating she was new in neighborhood, moved in around the corner and started a new carpet cleaning business in the area and asked if we wanted our carpet cleaned for free. Stated she made a deal with the city (as a new vendor) to clean 50 carpets. Given I have pets, I said Yes. An hour later she showed back up and dropped off a guy with 2 boxes. I assumed he had the carpet cleaning tools in there. He came in, introduced himself and started assembling a vacuum, by Kirby. Maurice was his name. I said "Oh that's the catch".

I allowed him to show me the product. He explained the product detail and demonstrated all its functions as he was putting together. He did a full demo and he actually did a GREAT job. Had he had been the original person I interacted with, I would've bought the vacuum. The product itself was worth having, just not for $1800. I was very close to swiping my credit card...then I read reviews...and seen I could buy it on eBay for $900. I really like the product but the price point is high. That said, the sales lady Hannah needs more training, honesty training.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Debra, While The Kirby Company is not affiliated with the agreements of the distributorships, we greatly apprecaite your feedback on your experience. Thank you again for reaching out and providing your experience.

Original review: March 21, 2019

One day I was working out in my garage when my daughter comes to the garage and says a lady is outside. I walked over to the door and she said she has her own business. Shampooing carpets. She said, "Can I have someone come in and show you how good this machine works? We will do it for free". I said, "What is the catch?" And she said, "Nothing." I said, "Do you Guys clean car carpets?" And she said, "Yes." She also told me that they were going to shampoo my stairs, upstairs, my car for free. I said ok. So I went back to work out and they came over 15 minutes later and as I was resuming my workout they were waiting for me inside my house to finish. I told my kids, "Let them clean the carpets for free. I don't need to be there. And boy did I make a mistake by letting them in.

The presentation took like 3 hours. The guy was very pushy saying things like, "Can you afford 99 a month," I said no and he said, "Well if the rent went up here 99 bucks would you move?" I said yes. He was also saying, "Who cleans your house?" I said I do. He said, "Then It’s your choice whether you buy this vacuum and not your husband's." I said, "Actually it is. We make decisions together." I told him I hate pushy sales people. He cleaned a little stain on my carpet upstairs and that was it. He handed me the application and I told him I wasn’t buying anything. He said, "Help us. Win a trip to SF." I said, "What do I win?" He said we win a trip. He ran my husband's credit and my credit and I told him we don’t want our credit ran because we are trying to buy a house and now it’s on both our credits.

The vacuum is nice and it cleans really well. I ended up buying the vacuum but he took the box it was in and I thought I was going to get a brand new never used vacuum and I didn’t. He gave me the used vacuum from other houses that people didn’t want to buy and I didn’t even notice until a few days later. I have always known Kirby Vacuums to be heavy which is really annoying. I received 2 wood floor cleaners but no shampoo for the carpets and I had to buy some on the Kirby website. It took about 1 month to receive.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Angelica, we are concerned with the experience you experienced with an independent distributor. Could you please give us a call so we can gather more information to further investigate and assist you? We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 18, 2019

After reading other reviews about the Kirby company I was so happy I didn't fall for misleading sale pitch at the end. It was a Sunday, my husband and I was relaxing watching TV. A lady knocked on the door and promised that she wasn't here to sell anything. She was an intern and needed to ask some questions about Glade air freshener. I'm not sure why I opened the door but next thing I know she was in my house.

She says, "We're just going to show you something and at the end you tell us a yes or no..." Ok. Well here comes a guy with this damn vacuum... says he wants to clean our floors. Um ok, knock yourself out. HE WAS HERE FOR 5 HOURS! Our only day we have together as a family, and he would not leave! My husband left and stayed in the bedroom throughout presentation after the gentleman won't take no for an answer. He told me all this awesome stuff this vacuum can do and "how dirty my house is" "you don't want your family breathing this stuff in" making me feel like my housekeeping was a failure. I told the gentleman we really couldn't afford it and I couldn't justify to my husband spending that much on something like this. Well he got down to $40.00 per month full cost $999. I didn't buy vacuum and I'm so happy especially after reading all the the reviews. Please don't let anyone from this company in your home.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Jennifer, we are concerned with the experience you experienced with an independent distributor. Could you please give us a call so we can gather more information to further investigate? We look forward to hearing from you.

Kirby expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The Kirby Company is a division of the Scott Fetzer Company, which was founded in 1914. It is named after Jim Kirby, who designed the company's early vacuum cleaners.

• Scheduled demonstrations: Potential buyers can schedule demonstrations to help them decide whether they want to own Kirby vacuums.

• Useful tools: Kirby home care systems have tools that let them convert into everything from air pumps to carpet shampoo systems.

• Customer service: Kirby offers a wide range of customer services, including online how-to videos and phone support.

• Limited warranty: All Kirby vacuums come with three-year limited warranties.

• Maintenance services: Rebuild and maintenance services are available to lengthen the life of Kirby vacuums.

• Best for: Kirby's flexible vacuum system makes it useful for homeowners, renters, landlords and drivers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs