Kirby Vacuum Cleaners

For nearly one-hundred years, The Kirby Company has manufactured superior, American-made home cleaning systems. Kirby does not sell directly to the public but continues a long tradition of distributing its home cleaning systems through independent distributors, who are responsible for running their own businesses. Over the years, this distribution system has afforded thousands of men and women the opportunity to live the American dream of owning and operating their own businesses.

Experience has taught us that customers prefer to try our premium cleaning systems in their own homes before purchasing. Customer satisfaction is our top priority. If customers have any questions or concerns regarding the in-home demonstrations of Kirby cleaning systems or the cleaning systems themselves, please email us at consumer@kirbywhq.com, or call us at 800-494-8586, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., EST.

Compare Vacuums

Research top Vacuums recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I can't speak of the price because I bought it in 2002, but it is the best vacuum for sure. It's heavy for me so I have bought some over the years to keep upstairs, and they do not compete with the Kirby. So if you don't want a heavy vacuum this isn't for you. But it's great to vacuum with every day. I have pets so it's necessary. I came across this review site because I need bags and saw the bad reviews. I always know my house is clean.

Let me start off by saying that this is totally my fault. I should have paid more attention to the contract. The salesperson told me that I would pay one price for the vacuum but then after finally receiving the first monthly bill, I noticed that I am paying a set price for the installments that increase the total price by almost $900. I should have paid closer attention to the final price and to the fact that that is actually what I am financing, to include set finance charges. Beware!

I have always wanted a Kirby after the in home demonstrations. I could not believe that I would vacuum with my generic Hoover or whatever brand and they would come right behind me and collect even more dirt from the carpet. I also could not believe the bedding needed to be vacuumed. But we relocated to a new rental house and we moved in and my wife had a serious allergy attack and needed to take an allergy pill to get to sleep. Once we bought the Kirby and vacuumed the house she was fine.

The Kirby is heavier and less convenient than many of the canister with hose attached units. But they do not work as well. I had a good sales experience but I also knew they were here to sell me something so make them get the price down. I am glad I bought the Kirby, it is an investment and I will not be buying another vacuum for a many years. So do with what you will the Kirby is a good device and legitimate reviews will not be the junk that I have read through here. People want to complain about the sales experience that is not relative to the function of the device. I am glad I own a Kirby and would purchase it again.

So, unlike a lot of the reviews here, I did not purchase this product. There were 3 salespeople. They started the price at NZ$35 per week, over 3 years. That's $35 x 156 weeks, which in total is $5,460. I calculated it, on my phone, right in front of them. They dropped the price to $27 per week. Again, I proceeded to calculate. $4,212. So I said "OK, let me look at few retail prices online" and what do you know I could not find a set going for any less than $1,500. Even at their lowest negotiated price, that's almost 3 times what they go for elsewhere. And I also came across these reviews, which was very helpful. Overall... too pricey, lengthy contract (for a vacuum), salespeople did not understand the term "we're really not interested, but thank you" - very pushy. The product itself looked great as shown in the 2 hour long demonstration (that is not even exaggerated)???

Bought this machine under pressure. Very expensive. Since bought care plan $199 with customer service not informing me I need to have service before plan is up. Want to charge me $350 to repair, what every year I have to pay hundreds to have a machine that cost me thousands to begin with? I would never recommend this vacuum and never let them in my house again. Put it down to money wasted. Buyer beware!!! Get yourself a Dyson. Much cheaper, better clean, last forever. I had one for 15 years. Still going. My husband uses in shed. Well I suppose a new Dyson is in order for the house???

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby?

I am very surprised at the reviews I have read. If the guy that came to my house was rude, pushy or disrespectful I would have thrown him out. My wife and I were both home at the time and he asked to come in and show us what he was selling. Yes he told us up front why he was there. I said, "Well I just vacuumed yesterday," and he said that was even better. He then pulled out a brand new Kirby G series diamond edition. He showed us how much our cheap vac from Walmart was missing. The whole time I thought my wife will never buy this. He continued with cleaning a part of our bedroom carpet and my wife was impressed. He also cleaned our mattress and vacuumed the whole house and even let us use it also and I vacuumed everywhere and they both laughed at me.

He never once called anyone or pushed us into buying and even walked outside so we could talk about it. He even cleaned up the parts knowing we were buying and put everything back very neat and organized. He also went over everything about taking it apart, changing the belt, and did this several times to make sure we knew how everything worked. We did not have to do a credit app we just put it on our credit card. I have not had any problems out of this unit and it was 12 years ago. I have changed the belt every 6 months like he said I would have to and they are 5 bucks for 3 belts. You can get bags at a great price on Amazon. I just changed the wooden roller brush and it was 18 dollars. We paid 1500 dollars and it has been well worth the price.

A Kirby representative came in my home and demonstrated the new Kirby system, at the end of the demonstration he said he was selling me the sweeper at a deeply discounted rate. After all was said and done my price was $1099.99. A few days later my daughter in law's mother bought the very same system for $700.00. Needless to say I'm very angry about this. Is there any steps to take to get the same price offered to her? Very bad business practice!!!

I am writing this review due to the tactics and lack of customer concerns. Kirby representative came to my home in October as a door-to-door sales pitch without any prior interaction on my part. The initial representative handed me a small can of air freshener and said that I would be helping his young trainees out if I would let them demonstrate the Kirby vacuum. So, my husband and I agreed to help them with the demonstration for training purposes but, with no commitment to purchase. The representative left the two young men, one we learned a new recruit and the second a little more experienced and who was working on getting sales so he could take a company trip to Disneyland. The unskilled recruit gave the demonstration over a four hour period of time demonstrating all features, parts, accessories, ease of use, lightweight etc...

I informed them that although I've always wanted a Kirby because it was at one time a top of the company and customer friendly but, I have fibromyalgia and don't have the muscle strength that I once had. Both young men assured me that the machine was not difficult, was lightweight and wanted to get one for their own mothers and grandma. It's supposed to be a canister Vacuum as well as an upright. We were shown all the accessories that makes life easier and are built for specific purposes. That excited me as I mention more than once that we were looking at new flooring for the kitchen, hallway, and bathrooms but wasn't sure the type of material so having the different attachments for hardwood, tile, and carpets was great. When they gave us the cost of the vacuum, shampooer and accessories of a little over $2000. We told them we could not afford the machine and with my medical issue we weren't able.

However, the trainer reminded the learning recruit that if we had another vacuum to trade in that could get the price down. Well we had two an older Bissell and a Dyson that was still under warranty. They got the price down. My husband decided to finance it after letting them know that the loan may not go through and I would need time to see if I could manage the machine. We were given three days to take their loan which payments would start in January 2017. I informed them that if the machine was too difficult for me I would let them know when I did my Christmas cleaning the first week in December as we were planning on being out of state. At no time did either state the three day period was for a nonrefundable sale. They said it was for loan purposes. My husband did want the high-interest rate loan so, he got a low-interest rate loan from our credit union.

Well, at the end of October, I got the machine out, put the DVD in my computer and went over use of product a couple of times before plugging it in, as I mention to the men it has a learning curve so, anyone buying the machine would need time to learn the parts, taking it apart and putting it together. They agreed it had a learning curve. I opened the box of accessories started putting temporary labels on the pieces and realized three accessory parts were missing. I called the manager that brought the two sales recruits to the house and told him three accessory parts were missing, he came over that night October 31, Halloween night to see what I was talking about and when I showed in the manual the parts that were missing he said those are optional. I showed him all the accessories were optional and the salesmen demonstrated all of the accessories and implied that they were all part of the purchase.

He said "I can let you have one and I have to pay for it out of my (meaning his) own pocket," so I said I want the Turbo accessory... Haven't heard from him since. Called Kirby KOF &Associates LLC Fredericksburg, Virginia on January 6, 2017. Talked to customer service, explained that the machine is too difficult for me and I'm still waiting on the accessory promised. The customer service person said she would have the Kirby representative call. It's February 12, 2017 and haven't heard from anyone. We also talked to the Golden Ager/Disabled Consumer Relations Department explained the sales, the problems with use because the machine and attachments are too difficult for me. They referred us back to Kirby Fredricksburg. As I told the salesmen, the customer service and consumer relations I've waited a long time for a good vacuum so, I am really disappointed with how Kirby takes advantage of people.

They never corrected any misunderstanding during sales pitch, complaints or my purposely stating at each point during the demonstration and sales that I have fibromyalgia and do not good muscle strength so I may have to return the machine. The salesmen stated that Warren Buffet owned the company so, it had a good reputation. At the time we did not know that, the mention of Mr. Buffet's name gave us the incentive to go forward because people like him don't allow their name to be associated with a product that isn't in good standing.

After trying to use the vacuum I found it very hard to detach the head without getting down on the floor, the extension tubes are very long and unstable, I found it difficult to control them when trying to dust lighting on the stair landing, the canister does not allow use of powerhead on steps unless you hold the heavy canister with power head downward on the step and the body of the canister in your other hand which strains the back.

I like to vacuum the kitchen nightly but, I have to get down on the floor detach powerhead, attach hose and reverse operation so that I can vacuum the carpet. The extension pieces would slide apart as I attempted to use them to vacuum walls and other hard to reach areas. I haven't used the vacuum since December because it is too heavy, awkward and unwieldy for me. I bought an $80.00 Black and Decker, to do basic vacuuming. I asked customer service to just return the Dyson and I'd just let it go as I need something that would not wear on my health, she said that they don't keep the trade-ins. I told her that their sales representative said that they had to keep them for a certain time period and that they had a bunch of trade-ins stockpiled.

The sales people also pulled a fast one. They put my name as purchaser even though I told them I won't be able to get a loan, they said I would be secondary. The loan shows that I made the purchase and the owner registration has my husband's name as the owner. So on that premise the customer service representative dismissed my petition, the sales and management have made themselves unavailable and I now question the whole kit-in-ca-boodle from Buffet to the trainee. Unlike Buffet's chocolate choice I will never die for the need to fulfill my desire for a Kirby again...

I bought this shampooer/vacuum a year ago but I only use the shampooer as the damned thing is too hard to interchange and that was the main reason I bought it anyway. I own a Dyson vacuum and they just don't come any better than that. This thing sucked from the get-go but not in a good way. It just refuses to extract the water back out of the carpet after you shampoo, leaving your carpet looking dirtier than when you started! Expensive lesson learned.

Kirby's are $1200 worth of useless excrement. First off, the Kirby is like the Sherman tank of vacuum cleaners. That may be a "pro" to many users, and I appreciate that it could be run over by a monster truck and still work, but that doesn't outweigh the many negatives I've come to discover using this bothersome beast! They are cumbersome, they are heavy, and simply cannot maneuver or fit far enough under couches, chairs, coffee tables, or average kick space under kitchen cabinets to do a good job.

Unlike the cheaper and more convenient upright vacuums with onboard attachments, the Kirby requires a 3-4 step transformation from upright to canister (that takes too much time) for vacuuming under furniture, chairs, tables, kitchen kick spaces and upholstery/drapes. It seemingly only has 2 upright settings. Setting #1 Doesn't pick up **. Setting #2 sucks so GD hard you can't push it even in power-drive mode. The biggest con is the pain in the ass going back and forth between upright and canister mode. I would never recommend one of these 75 pound doorstops to my worst enemy. If another Kirby salesman ever darkens my door, I'll toss a bucket of cold piss on him.

It is unconscionable for a company to offer a "complimentary clean" and not identify it as a Kirby Sales organisation. Once inside the door they unpack and you are in for a long demonstration of a product you may have no interest in. The demonstration was excellent. The girl was thorough - well versed in the benefits and selling points of her product. That took more than an hour. Then she completed the vacuuming and shampooing of my bedroom. Another hour. Then her boss arrived and launched into his sales pitch. Enough. By then it was over 3 hours. I think the product is excellent but overpriced. On the positive side my bedroom carpet has come up a treat after a thoroughly professional and free clean!

What a disgraceful, deceptive action to get into a home!!! I had the experience for the first time about 20 years ago and vowed then that I would never subject myself to a Kirby onslaught again!! I failed to see the van with Kirby written all over it! The salespersons went back to the car to get the 'products' and the 'car' was not parked directly outside my house, so I failed to see the advertised 'product'. When I admitted these people to my home I stated at the very onset that I would not be purchasing the product. I repeated this several times throughout the enormously dragged out presentation.

I was FAR TOO NICE!!! How many times did Vanessa, the salesperson, ask me what I liked most about the product??? I lost count!!! There were many deceptions. I was told that Vanessa would be paid for executing her presentation and so when she asked me to take my Dyson out of my cupboard so that she could compare, I said no that it was not necessary. She replied that she needed to do this to be paid!!! This presentation went for over an hour and a half!!! What I don't have anything better to do with my day? I should have turfed them out as soon as I saw the advertisement on the van. Then came the phone call to the boss who reduced the price by $1000. Mm, I'm still not interested!!! Thanks Kirby, DO NOT CALL AGAIN... EVER!!!

This Kirby company caused so much stress on me and my boyfriend!! We were having a great evening together watching a movie when we get a knock on the door. An innocent friendly looking woman said that she gets points to go to Disneyland for every room she cleans for free and that she's NOT selling anything and doesn't want our money. She also asks if I'm the head of the household, which I say yes. I thought it was a carpet cleaning company honestly, and I thought why not. It was a horrible decision on my part. She leaves, and two other guys come into the house... Deante and Vladimir. They start cleaning the carpet and start bragging about all the amazing things the vacuum can do, and I was so confused cause the lady said they WEREN'T selling anything. I asked how much the vacuum was, and he said 3,500. In my head I was like HELL NO am I paying that much for a vacuum, I'm a 20 year old who doesn't need that right now.

Vladimir asked if I have a vacuum and I said yes, then he made me bring it out and started to tell me all the reasons why HIS is better than mine. All I wanted was a carpet cleaning for free!! He tells me to bring my boyfriend out so he can show me all the things it can do to him. I felt weird about that, but he was really persistent. My boyfriend has no money and is only 19 so I figured he'll just listen to the salesman babble and be done with. Well, I had to go to work, so I said goodbye and left.

When I get off work, I get a text from my boyfriend he bought the god damn vacuum!!! They took his credit card info and his social security number. They knew I was the head of the household, but they still felt the nerve to push my boyfriend to the limit when I wasn't home! I was furious. I also came home to find out, my boyfriend traded in my vacuum to lower the price to 2,800... which is still outrageous for a vacuum. He said he told them no he wasn't interested many times, but they pushed him to give him his personal information and SS just so they could "check to see if he qualifies for it." He then just demands that my bf signed it, which was a horrible decision on my bf's part to go through with it!

I was crying and called the seller back two hours after they sold it, and let them know that we want to cancel everything and they said they will be back in 30 minutes. We wait, and they never show up. I call Vladimir again two hours later, and he says he has nothing to do with the finances and that they will come back in the morning. AGAIN, THEY NEVER SHOW UP. I asked my boyfriend if they said we could cancel it when they were selling it to him. My bf said that Vladimir said that you can cancel it at ANY time. He straight up lied. You only have THREE business days after the vacuum is sold to cancel it. We called and called and called, giving many notices to the manager we want it canceled. He kept ignoring our calls and saying he was busy.

In the contract it was very unclear and said to "mail" the contract back to them, signed, but it had to literally be in their hands within the three days. Mail can usually take up to that many days to ship somewhere, so it would be too late. We wanted to deliver the mail ourselves. We went to the address, and all we saw was a big green shed that looked like storage units. No building that said "Kirby." No official businesses. Just a sketchy private building. We googled the address and it only popped up an AC company. We called the company and asked if they were in relations with Kirby, to which they replied "Absolutely not. Don't ever call us back!" and hung up on us. We assumed they must get a lot of calls from people that need to return their vacuums!!

On the LAST day that we had to cancel the contract, the only thing that helped us was that we decided to contact the cleaner Vladimir since Deante (the owner) was not being helpful at all. To our surprise Vladimir told us he's not working there anymore and he quit. The owner didn't pay him for his work, and Vladimir is planning on suing him!! Vladimir explained to us that the green shed looking building is the official office. We were finally getting somewhere and we felt some hope!!! We told Vladimir thank you and good luck with his case. Right after that conversation Deante finally called us back, and his first concern was "When did we sell it? It's already been three days right?" And we were like "We still have all day until midnight today, it says so on the contract." So it's clear these crooks want to make it as hard as possible to contact them until the three days are up!!!

Deante got mad and said we are "frustrating him" by constantly trying to contact him. Anyway we drive over there, and go into the sketchy ass green building and luckily did not have to see Deante, we saw one of his employees who was really nice and took the papers for us and said we were good to go. We are sooo lucky that we got out of this. PLEASE don't let this happen to you! I already ruined my boyfriend's credit score, and made him stressed to the core! If he had to pay them the 2,800 for the god damn vacuum, then he was planning on moving out to his parent's house out of state JUST so he can pay that off!

I purchased a brand new Kirby vacuum 6 months ago... We have always had issues with it. Replaced the belt 3 times and just broke another one. We were told that there would be a service center 5 miles away from our home, this helping us make the decision to purchase a 3000.00 dollar unit. That was a lie. The closest service center is 50 miles one way, which is total **. I am so unhappy with this piece of crap vacuum, and when you contact the company they are rude and more or less told me to deal with it. I have called several times to try and get different reps, but still doesn't work. I am not sure what to do now. I do not want this piece of ** any longer.

These sales people made me feel incredibly uncomfortable. The way they advertised to get into my house was wrong. After multiple attempts of asking them to leave they wouldn't. I really feel you need to train your sales team to listen to the customer. I am a single woman that lives alone. There was two men in my house. This made me feel really uncomfortable that they basically barged into my house. I will never buy one of these products due to this, and I will continue to leave a bad review. Thank you for your time, and please do not ever send one of your sales people to my house again.

Most of the reviews I have read concerning Kirby Vacuums mostly deals with the salesmen. NOT the actual product. I bought my first Kirby back in 1986 and it is STILL going strong! The only complaints I have is the wand attachment. If you are using the hose the wand might not stay attached. It will sometimes fall off. The other complaint is the bag that catches the dirt. Over time inside the bag gets dusty and dirty. Looks like they would have designed so you could wash it or better yet, a canister!

Overall the vacuum is a good one that can be used for many home projects like paint spraying or an air compressor to blow up an air mattress, but I mostly use it for vacuuming. My mother had one back in the '70s and my husband's grandmother has one that was purchased back in the 1930s and it is STILL running strong! If you want one, buy one off of eBay or Craigslist. Buying a new one today is way too expensive! Mine cost new $800 back in 1986. I am considering buying another one for the upstairs.

Kirby Vacuum is the WORST company to purchase a vacuum. They sell door to door and basically make you feel sorry for them and harass you into buying their product. Then when you finally give in and sign a contract and try to reverse it they avoid your phone calls and even the customer relations is NO help whatsoever. These filthy pricks convinced my mom to sign a second contract after I wanted to return it and had the nerve to FORGE my signature and still took money out of my account after I wanted out of the contract and so now I'm battling United Consumers Finance because apparently the signatures that don't even look remotely the same are supposedly similar and tells me I'm reliable for the payments still.

So for anyone even slightly interested in buying from this company or associating with United Consumers then you might want to think twice!!! WORST COMPANIES EVER!!! I have a 1 year old daughter I'm struggling to support because they stole my money over a FORGED signature. The top signature is mine and the bottom is FORGED. It's not even spelled the same!!!

I bought this Kirby 3 months ago. I am on medicare so not a lot of money. This dang Kirby has broken 2 belts. It has been broke down in my closet. I clean my floors on my hands and knees with a $40.00 shop vac. That is more dependable... So send someone to come get this piece of crap. $3000.00 for a paper weight!! When the belt breaks the green light stays on. Makes no sense!! I am not happy!! And will let people know, how I feel about this.

A very pushy and relentless salesman made his way through my door one Sunday night, clearly ignoring the "No Solicitors" sign on my door. Stayed for almost 3 hours demonstrating even though we kept saying we really weren't interested. Finally out of exhaustion and frustration, we bought this piece of junk vacuum for $2,000!!! We just wanted him out of our home.

This thing never worked right, is terribly inconvenient and extremely heavy. Not to mention, just to buy replacement bags is extremely expensive too. Who uses bags anymore!!! We ended up buying a cordless Shark for $75 and LOVE it. But I still can't get rid of this Kirby or the ridiculous monthly payment. They push through your door and wear you down until you crack. Kind of like military prison tactics! (Haha). But seriously, don't trust them. Turn the porch light off and pretend you're not home. It's not worth it.

First of all, let me state that I own two Kirby vacuum cleaners. One for the bottom floor and one for the top floor. I think they are really great vacuum cleaners. However, I did now pay the ridiculous asking price for a new one. The best way to buy a Kirby is to get a slightly used one on Craigslist. Instead of paying $2300 or so, I picked up a late model Sentria for $100 with all the attachments. My first Kirby, and older model, ran me about the same. They both work great and will last for years. This is the best way to buy a Kirby.

My experience with these Kirby Salesman was horrible. They came knocking on my door at 3:00 PM offering a "free steam cleaning" in one room. Casey, came in and I showed him what rooms I needed cleaned. He quoted $80! I thought what a great deal! He said he will be back in 20 minutes. They arrive 20 minutes later. I look out the window and see no van, but I see a dilapidated Chevy pickup truck. I immediately get suspicious. I then see Casey and his "helper" Howard at my door with a few boxes. This sure doesn't look like a carpet cleaning service to me. Howard starts unpackaging this box and lo and behold, a ** Kirby vacuum! I could've died!

Last time I checked I agreed to a professional steam cleaning, not a Kirby vacuum demo!! I have 6 kids so this was a major inconvenience for me. Casey, who was told I had less than an hour for all of this **, starts telling me about how he isn't trying to sell me anything, just explain the great benefits of the Kirby. So, he starts demonstrating to us his vacuum by inserting these white discs into the vacuum and cleaning a portion of my living room with it. He pulls the disc out and shows me all the dog hair and other nasty ** he pulled out of my carpet, then proceeds to set them on my coffee table. Ummmm, yeah, this is why I wanted a carpet shampooed, not a vacuum demonstration. He then did this 6 more times and then had the nerve to pour a bottle of sand all over my carpet without my permission. Totally uncalled for.

Howard was also lurking around "looking" at my house, probably scoping out things they could possibly steal. He continues on with the demonstration and then they FINALLY start the carpet cleaning. But this wasn't carpet cleaning, this was the vacuum spitting foam onto my carpet and then simply sucking it back up. He called this the "Kirby bubble bath". He did that in the rest of my rooms. The other guy Casey kept rambling on about his personal life like I cared while the other guy Howard was doing the vacuum cleaning. Not to mention, this vacuum was 2500 dollars. Absurd.

Once the cleaning was over Casey then cleaned the parts of this vacuum in my kitchen sink and left black pubs and whatever else from all the other houses he cleaned with this Kirby POS vacuum. And cleaned it with one of my towels. Don't open doors and definitely do not open them for Kirby. Very false advertising and invasion of my privacy and waste of time. Thank god my husband came home or these sales people scam artists would've been here until 2 in the morning trying to convince me to buy this stupid vacuum.

My poor wife had no idea what she was in for when she let these people into our home thinking it was just going to be a free cleaning of our living room carpet. So she gives the guy a chance and listens to the sales pitch as he cleans a section of the carpet. After she politely declined his first offer, they lowered the cost from $2,900 to $1,900, then proceeded to write up a payment plan for us. Then this lady knocks at our door and the sales guy lets her in. Backup salesman enters the house. She begins telling my wife about the history of the company and how this vacuum is the best thing in life and blah blah blah. My wife explains to her how we will not be purchasing the vacuum. Then the woman replies, "Well why not?!" Again, my wife politely tells the woman that we are absolutely not interested in purchasing the vacuum. At this point, I'm pissed. As she leaves I walk into the room and firmly tell the salesman to clean up and leave my house.

So he packs up and leaves. He knocks on the door again to ask me if he can use my phone to send a text to "someone" to come and pick him up because his phone was "acting up." I admit I don't know for sure, but this seemed like a shady sales tactic to get my number, because the whole time he was here, he was trying to get our phone numbers to make follow up calls, and he declined to leave his number with us. My friend was visiting from Mexico so I called the number from her phone and heard what seemed to be the saleswoman on the other end. I just didn't want there to be a chance for them to obtain my number. Be careful.

Love the Kirby vacuum. It's the best!! Happy to know I get to start the year "Fresh and Clean". Thanks to my new Kirby vacuum the house looks new and carpets cleaner than ever! I'm already showing family friends and neighbors how great this machine really is. I'm offering to clean for free. It's so satisfyingly fun for me. Thank you again Kirby company!

This people the work there are very rude. I went to them to return the Kirby vacuum back to them and just threw out. People like this should not have own business. Because the lady the sold me the Kirby no long work now I am stuck with this Kirby. So now I am calling Kirby company they even pick the phone and they even call back. Kirby vacuum cleaner is stealing people money. This is not right

Well this guy knock at my door talking about doing me a free cleaning in some areas of my house. So I like to read on people. Uno that's me. And I said to myself "Hell nothing ain't free. Life ain't." So something told me "Let's see what the guy talking about. He might have something." So I decided to do so. He comes in and start unpacking a Kirby which my father was an owner of one a few years back. I loved that thing man. My father always said "You pay for what you want in life son." So as such things that have quality you can't find anywhere else.

Anyway, I let the guy start his what he called his demonstration. Nice stand up respectful guy to me anyway so to say. And he started pulling out all these pad things. I was telling him that "we just got through cleaning and stuff and my wife gone look at this like you just making a mess." And we (my wife) already own a Dyson Ball and a Bissell so we don't need another vacuum. Now the guy wanted to go to my bed and clean. I'm like "No buddy. No way... My bed ain't the problem. We don't like no one in our room." Anyway, my wife said go ahead and I was impressed with what he had clean out the bed because I do have asthma.

Most of all, I like the attachments, the ability to reach up high on the walls and everything. I can paint my walls with this thing great and deep clean. Things when he compared it to my Dyson it kill it. The Dyson is just lighter but it doesn't clean deep like the Kirby. Don't know why the bad reviews. I bought mine straight out for 1-800. The extra grand is for the finance charge, if your credit good you could get it for I guess $100 a month. But overall I got mine and it works fine and I will pass it down to my son one day. It's a great product that been around over a hundred years and pushing. It's really for people who love long-lasting professional products I feel.

I bought this piece of junk a few years ago for $1,500 and have hated it ever since. If you are under 5'4" you are always getting slapped with the hose. The hose never stays on. You have to clean it before you can clean with it. The base is so wide it gets caught on every door jam. The person that sold it to me was more interested in a trip he was going to win and never showed me the correct way to run it (he had everything wrong). When I called to inquire about it I was told I could drive it 1 hour away and drop it off so they could look at it and then drive another hour back to pick it up. I had to go and buy another (Bissell) because they took my that worked just fine. The shampooer is a huge joke, it simply puts foam on the carpet to suck it back up. It does not clean the carpet in any way. And by the way I clean for a living!

My review will be as dissatisfied as everyone else's. I was spending the day with my 18 month old son when a man, who's name I can't recall, asked if I was the man of the house and if I had time for "super quick demo" to clean my carpet. I reluctantly agreed. A nice guy by the name of Pat came in and begin to unload the box and I saw the word Kirby. I immediately regretted this decision, however Pat was a nice kid. He admitted it was his 3rd day and if finished the demo he would get paid. I agreed to helping the man getting paid.

After every other demo he would call his "boss" and say, "Positive. This is Pat." The demo was hitting the 90 minute mark and please understand I was very impressed with the Kirby but I knew it was out of my price range. I asked Pat if I could just be given documentation because I knew his "boss" was going to try and sell me on the product.

When it came to the point where he wanted to vacuum the mattresses I declined. I was kind of OK where he was and that was in front of my front door. He asked me if I wanted to fill out a credit application. I declined. That's when he picked up his phone and called his boss. 5 minutes later his boss, Nicolas, came in the front door. Just by his attitude I knew he had his head up his rear end. Allow me to preface and say that I used to work at a Shoe store when I was younger. I know what selling on commission does to a person. This guy was the definition of a shark. I'm in my early 30s and these two are in their early 20s.

So back to the story. Nicholas comes in and starts trying to sell me on the Kirby. At this point I tell him I have no interest on buying a vacuum cleaner today. He said he was fine with that but asked if I would fill out the credit app just so they could find out what my monthly payments would be if I decided to get one in the future. I then informed them that I didn't want to "write in" my Social Security Number. Nicolas then informed me that they would tear up the credit app before they left.

I reluctantly filled out this credit app. While I was filling out this credit app I noticed the number they were dialing. (800) 222-8237. Pat, on his third day was calling in his 1st credit app. He didn't know their "distribution number". So the credit app lady scolded him over the phone. Pat has to call his "boss" Nicolas back. Nicolas gives him the instructions on how to call in the credit app. Once I noticed this I stopped filling in vital information, obviously less vital than my SSN. Pat asked me if I knew what my bank account number was. I admitted ignorance. He then said they wouldn't need it. He calls the credit app girl back and I then hear her over the phone say, "he's not approved."

I breathed a sigh of relief because finally they would leave right? Nope. Here comes Nicolas. He can get me an amazing deal. I informed him that definitely didn't want it and I was ready for the demo to be over. He said, "this Kirby can build you credit. " To which I rolled my eyes and just asked how much longer this would be because I was told this would be quick. He said, "not much longer", and walked out the door.

During the time Nicolas goes back to his car and comes back Pat & I have been talking about everything under the sun. We actually got along. He was legitimately a good guy. Then his phone rings and it's Nicolas. He feeding him numbers over the phone. The call ends and Pat says that Nicolas "worked his magic" and I was magically over approved. The Kirby would originally cost me $2700 dollars but now it's down to $2300. Once again I said that I had no interest in buying. Pat was kind of upset because he couldn't clean my mattresses and now he wouldn't get paid. I agreed to let him clean my son's mattress so he would get paid because he had a kid at home to take care of.

5 more minutes goes by and here comes Nicolas with all of his paperwork. I'm seriously upset at this point. He starts talking about if I purchased this Kirby he and Pat would be one step closer to their trip to Las Vegas. I once again informed him that I wasn't buying. He tries feeding me this long line of BS that this would be a great gift for my wife. I inform him that my wife handles the finances in our household because I'm the only one working and I work all the time. The price of the Kirby then drops from $2300 to $1600. He then asks me to fill out this paper to see how low he could get my payment.

At this point I tell him that I'm not putting my signature on anything. This bothers him. He tries every tactic in the book. "If you sign this, the Kirby is yours for 3 days so you can show it off to your wife." Every offer I replied with no. He then drops the price to $1300. I just laugh and tell him I'm not signing anything and asked for them to leave.

He begins to try and question my "man-hood". This kid is 5'9" and maybe 180 lbs soaking wet. I'm well over 6 foot tall and weigh around 290 pounds. I'm pretty sure I can take him if I needed to defend myself but the one thing he forgets. I'm holding my 18 month old son. I'm past upset at this point. I told him the deal Isn't going to happen. He attempts to cut me off and my son Is tired, hungry, & getting agitated because I'm getting upset. I then cut him off, remind him that he is a guest in my house, & tell him the deal isn't happening. He would need to pack up and leave.

Nicolas doesn't get the hint. I stand up and ask him to leave. He then asks when my wife will be home. I tell him to never think about talking to my wife. He then stands up and tells Pat, "I'm sorry you won't be able to go to Las Vegas. " I point at the door with a lot of anger. Nicolas tells me will leave but he has to allow Pat to clean up. I apologize to Pat for my attitude and he was only grateful he would get paid for the demo. It took him 10 minutes to pack up and leave. This whole "quick" demo lasted 4 hours! This was a day I was supposed to spend with my son. After everything was over I looked the Kirby up on Google. They only cost $900-$1000.

A pushy salesman called on my parents, who are both in their 80's demonstrating the Kirby. Although they are not vulnerable, they are not in great health. With total disregard to my parents' health the salesman carried on waffling for hours. They purchased this vac for 800.00 and have managed to use it once as it is too heavy to move and impossible to get upstairs unless you are very able bodied. This vac is now gathering dust. I did contact kirby on my parents' behalf, not to get the money back but to explain it should not have been sold to them knowing they would not be able to move the thing around. They were more interested in selling an extended warranty even though my parents were told there is a lifetime warranty on it. They are a heartless company and should be totally ashamed of their tactics.

I don't to be very harsh or unrealistic. I do like some features of the vacuum cleaner but not sure I can use all of the features. My complaint is the same as many with the sales tactics that takes much more time than they initially tell you, and they come late at night when you want to get your kids to bed. I am just wondering how they can keep doing that? What does the government do about it? I know that there are people who want to earn living, but I believe it's mere greed that is driving the owners. Greed leads to abuse.

They started me at $2700 for the Kirby. I told them that last time one of theirs stopped by, I didn't even accept $1500 for price. Eventually I took it for $1500 after it got so late at night and my wife started liking the machine. They also don't tell you how the interest works. If you try to pay it early, you still have to pay a good chunk of the interest. It's a ripoff and dishonest business dealing. The government should be on the owners' case.

I paid only $1500 plus outrageous interest. I feel bad for those who paid $2700 - $3000 plus the outrageous interest. Is this free enterprise or people abuse? Abuse in stating the price and abuse with interest calculation. Here is my advice: Don't let them in if it's not too late. Don' pay more than $1200. Stick to this price. (You and your spouse can play the same tactics they play by pretending, or may be really, getting in conflict about the machine and the price in front of the sales people. This will either convince them to go or give you the deal that works for you. Be real. Be wise). Pay cash if you can, or negotiate the interest. Otherwise they can either let you get your own loan or the deal is off. I have nothing against people doing business - it's a free country - but abuse and misinformation should not be allowed by people or the government.

I had purchased a Kirby from sales person but decided it wasn't for me a few days later and cancelled. That was on November 4, 2016. It's been hell and back trying to get somebody to come get it. Everybody that we had contacts for keep pushing me off, saying they will call or email me back and never do. All I want is for somebody to come get the Kirby out of my house like I requested and for it not to be charged since I did everything I was suppose to do. I am so disappointed with this company and all the lies and let downs they been doing ever since I let a representative from Kirby step foot in my house. This is so unexpectable from this company! I am a very pissed off customer!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

The Kirby Company is a division of the Scott Fetzer Company, which was founded in 1914. It is named after Jim Kirby, who designed the company's early vacuum cleaners.

• Scheduled demonstrations: Potential buyers can schedule demonstrations to help them decide whether they want to own Kirby vacuums.
  • Useful tools: Kirby home care systems have tools that let them convert into everything from air pumps to carpet shampoo systems.
  • Customer service: Kirby offers a wide range of customer services, including online how-to videos and phone support.
  • Limited warranty: All Kirby vacuums come with three-year limited warranties.
  • Maintenance services: Rebuild and maintenance services are available to lengthen the life of Kirby vacuums.
  • Best for Kirby's flexible vacuum system makes it useful for homeowners, renters, landlords and drivers.

Compare Vacuum Cleaners