2. Homeowners

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.03/5

Quit paying for costly home repairs

For nearly one-hundred years, The Kirby Company has manufactured superior, American-made home cleaning systems. Kirby does not sell directly to the public but continues a long tradition of distributing its home cleaning systems through independent distributors, who are responsible for running their own businesses. Over the years, this distribution system has afforded thousands of men and women the opportunity to live the American dream of owning and operating their own businesses.

Experience has taught us that customers prefer to try our premium cleaning systems in their own homes before purchasing. Customer satisfaction is our top priority. If customers have any questions or concerns regarding the in-home demonstrations of Kirby cleaning systems or the cleaning systems themselves, please email us at consumer@kirbywhq.com, or call us at 800-494-8586, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., EST.

View More View More

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

Original review: July 11, 2019

Kirby has been on the market for many years. Kirby is quality guaranteed. It's value for money and a definite investment. Clean carpets, tiles, curtains, hardwood and many more. In fact this is a 12 in one machine which make it so unique and way in advance from its competitors. After sales is great and spares available at a store near you, (whereever you are). What's great about this machine is its sleek design and can serve as your helper in and around the house.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Xavier, thank you for taking the time to write a review of your Kirby experience! We appreciate it greatly. Make sure to check out our site and sign up for the e-newsletter for more product knowledge, coupons and sales!

Original review: July 4, 2019

Is a Kirby vacuum bulky and industrial compared to lightweight plastic competitors? Yes it is, however, this vacuum will literally last a lifetime and beyond. Kirby stands by their products and will correct any problems you ever have with the vacuum. As far as usage, this vacuum will pull everything out of what is in your carpets no matter how deep it is. I have been using mine for 15 years and it works like a well oiled machine. Yes you have to periodically maintain this machine but that is a small price to pay for a piece of equipment that works well and is a workhorse. As a comparison, you could easily spend as much on on a nice mattress that would last you five years or so before you need to look into replacing it. Bottom line is if you want to make a sound investment in a tool that will deep clean your house for decades or more, you should seriously consider a Kirby vacuum. They don't have the reputation they have for no reason.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Steve, thank you for taking the time to write a review of your Kirby experience! We appreciate it greatly. Make sure to check out our site and sign up for the e-newsletter for more product knowledge, coupons and sales! Also, download the Kirby Owner Resource app to help you find the right attachments, access how-to videos, and so much more!

Get expert buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 17, 2019

First, I'll comment on the salesman experience since that seems to be the main reason Kirby has gotten so many low reviews. Yes, it was very long. I'd say around 4 hours, however, to be fair this vacuum does A LOT so it would be very difficult to see what all it can do in a super short amount of time. The gentleman that did our demonstration was super nice. I'll throw in here that I had 9 kids at the time who were all into the demonstration and he was really cool about it and even let them use it. He was very thorough and in the process vacuumed my sofa, loveseat, walls, curtains, ceiling and mattress as well as cleaned a couple of windows. Even if I hadn't bought it, it was worth the time just to get all that cleaning done for free!

Now, onto what the Kirby can do. What really sold me on it was the fact that I had literally just washed and dried my sofa and loveseat cushion covers and put them back on about 10 minutes before he arrived. The dirt that the Kirby was sucking out when I had just cleaned them really amazed me. It even pulled a tremendous amount of dirt out of the living room area rug I had just bought that day! Besides all that, this vacuum does it all...vacuums, shampoos, air cleaner, inflator, window cleaner, unclogs sinks...you can even paint with it (spray). It has tons of attachments for basically anything you'll ever need to do in the cleaning world. I've kept my vehicle upholstery looking brand new and cleaning curtains while they are still hanging and vacuuming ceilings are a breeze. I have had my Kirby for almost 2 years now and it is by far the smartest purchase I have made for all my cleaning needs.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Rhonda! Thank you so much for your review! We are pleased to hear you had such a positive experience with the independent distributor who demonstrated the Kirby.

Original review: June 15, 2019

Remember family having one that was probably 20 years old when I was 7. They replaced it over something stupid without letting me look at it (I was already repairing lamp cords and other kids toys lol). Found a Heritage II dumped out for the trash 5 years or so ago. This vacuum would have been brand new when I was 7. Couldn’t pass it up. $40 and I did a complete rebuilt including replacing the broken plastic part that connected the bag to the vacuum. This machine blew me away. I have never seen a vacuum work as well as it did. I had a Shark professional that it replaced as a daily cleaner. I had no attachments so I decided to make the plunge and get a new one. Contrary to what rumors spread these can be purchased for a lot less than the price usually seen floating around on reviews.

In comes my Avalir 2. Put it all together and it’s absolutely awesome. It makes a much more stable vacuum when using the hose and not as an upright than the shark. It’s extremely powerful, and even comes with power assist. Using this is nowhere near clunky like a mower. It’s butter smooth requiring you to do absolutely nothing. It has a transmission in it and it senses when you push forward and pull back. It’s literally butter smooth. You don’t know it’s powered. You just click it on and it simple makes the vacuum feel 1/4 the weight it is. The attachments are well thought out and useful rather than some crappy junk thrown together to say it has a bunch of features. The Kirby’s are well designed and useful. I have no problems reaching my 10 foot ceiling without it being uncomfortable. In canister mode it rolls around with me easily I don’t have to constantly pick it up and move it a few feet. The ability to adjust height is great and easy to use.

Needless to say there is no better vacuum made. I’ve seen and or used about all the other so called top of the line ones and they felt cheap and were almost all plastic. When you buy a Kirby, you buy it for life. The maintenance is even simple enough anyone what can change oil would have no trouble at all keeping one going for decades without ever needing serviced at a shop.

Typically I would run my shark over the wood floor and then follow up with a mop. The mop would always be filthy. After a good pas with the Kirby and running the brush quickly around the corners I went back with the mop to shine it and get some stick spots up. The mop was so clean I didn’t have to wash anything off it before putting it up. Basically it just added floor shine and removed some sugary drops that got sticky. I have not received the shampoo, grout and tile, and wood floor cleaning parts, at that point it will replace the old shampooer I have and the little Swiffer like mop. You might think you bought a Cadillac vacuum at 300 bucks, but a Kirby is the Rolls Royce of vacuums, and no you don’t have to pay 3000 dollars for one, you can get one under a grand. They are also extremely nice looking with polished aluminum bodies.

There are two types of people in the world, ones with clean houses and others who don’t yet own a Kirby. It’s worth every cent and it will stay with you for life, and that counts for something today when everything is designed to be disposable. After you buy 2 sharks, you have basically paid for a Kirby. Just get the Kirby.

I cannot rate the salesman service as there weren’t any within 300 miles of me so I had to order it online and assemble it myself, and I don’t get the special Kirby perks. I dont work for Kirby or own Kirby stock. It’s the truth. The Kirby is not all just hype. It’s worth every penny, both my 40 something year old heritage II and the new Avalir 2 both prove it. They are built the same with the same high quality parts. In fact if it wasn’t due to Kirby adding a safety switch on the new model to keep it from turning on the motor without something covering the suction fan all the attachments and heads would be interchangeable. The parts to keep it alive forever are dirt cheap, and easy to change.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Ash, thank you for your review on your Kirby experience! We are pleased to hear you are happy with your new Avalir 2!

Original review: May 8, 2019

I have had a Kirby for over 30 years and love it. I would use no other vacuum. My grandmother had a Kirby while I was growing up and loved it. I agree with other reviews that if you learn how to use it you would love it too. Remember to push to lever with “D” on it and it just glides across the carpet. My Kirby picks up every little thing, even on tile and hardwood. On carpet it does wonderful, even little threads are no match for my Kirby. Love It!!!!

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Charlene, we are so thrilled to hear about your experience with your Kirby! Thank you so much for sharing, and happy cleaning!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
          Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

Promised it is an amazing built machine, that does all kinds of different things. The power head ain't sucking up properly, didn't receive all prices I was promised! It's a nightmare to vaccine! It's huge, it's bulky, it's over rated and over priced. My machine is less than a year old and is absolute rubbish!! Spending 1000s for what? To yell and swear at the damn thing every day for always turning off, falling over, not sucking up! Absolute rubbish!! Don't fall for it! Dyson is way better!! This is a real review from a real customer who has felt ripped off!!

Hello,

Sorry to hear that you are having frustrations with your Kirby. Is there anything we can do to help in terms of usage, trouble shooting any issues with the power head, etc? Please send us a private response.

The Kirby Company

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

I wasn't going to bother writing a review for my terrible experience with Kirby, but I decided I should after they came to my house a second time a couple days after I already told them I wasn't interested. The sales tactics this company uses are sleazy to say the least. I had a salesman come to my house and claim he was there to do a free carpet cleaning. He said it would take 15 minutes. I didn't really care for the carpet cleaning, but he begged that I let him do it so he could "secure his paycheck". Instead of cleaning the carpets for 15 minutes he spent over 3 hours in my home telling me my house is dirty and trying to convince me to buy a ridiculously priced vacuum.

After he finally got the hint that we weren't interested and left I did some research on the company. To no surprise to me or my wife we found that the company has an awful reputation for exactly the kind of things that we experienced, and much much worse. I can't believe that this company has existed for 100 years. That to me is just a testament to how good they are at lying and brainwashing their sales people.

To further add to my annoyance three days after this happened another Kirby salesman came to my door. He gave me almost the exact same routine as the last guy (they even both commented on my shirt and tried to use it to relate to me somehow). Clearly they left no record on their own side that they had already wasted 3 hours of my time. The only purchase I made as a result of this was buying a "No Soliciting" sign for my front door. I would NEVER buy a Kirby vacuum, and my condolences to anyone that was tricked into doing so.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
          Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I just found out my daughter was harassed into buying a Kirby vacuum for over 3500 dollars. Two salesman came into her home and bullied their way into the door. She was frightened and intimidated and they would not leave her home without her purchasing this monstrosity. They made her feel very unsafe in her home. This is a big mistake on Kirby's part to have these kind of practices. My daughter is in the Military and I know plenty of people who don't take kindly to the military being preyed upon. Just so your company is aware if they don't rectify this immediately you're in for a very unpleasant surprise.

I have two lawyers in my family who will work endless hours to ensure this does not happen again and based on your reviews it appears to be common practice. All it takes is 3 people to start a class action lawsuit. Which based on your reviews above I can find many more. How dare your company make women feel intimidated in their own homes? How dare you have someone preying on young vulnerable women? Make no mistake Kirby, you woke up the wrong sleeping giant.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

A sales rep from Gold Enterprises came to door offering a free rug cleaning to review their product. We have white carpets and use 8x10 rugs on top. Sales rep pulled up area rug and proceeded to demonstrate the vacuum for over 2 hours before he even shampooed the carpet. After 3 hours he started his sales pitch which was restless. We did purchase vacuum and was told not to vacuum for a week.

Upon using I found the vacuum does not work on our area rugs, is extremely hard to use. You have to take apart to use the attachments and vacuum is very heavy. I am 66 and by the time I was done cleaning, my back was killing and it took three times as long to clean. We contacted the company a few weeks later to express our issues (were not told about 3 day cancellation, and they told us not to vacuum for a week). After a couple calls from the manager of Hold Enterprises, he said he would get our contract cancelled and pick up vacuum. Made arrangements 3 different times and he never showed. Have tried calling his number, company number, sent messages, but no response. Drove to the company store and to our surprise, store is no longer there. So now We Have an expensive vacuum that is completely worthless to us.

Diane,

We are sorry to hear about your experience with this Independent Distributor. Would you pleas send us a private message with your contact information so that we can reach out and gather some additional details?

The Kirby Company

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

A girl named Jessica came to my door and wanted me to buy a Kirby. I love Kirby's. I have the diamond already. I told her I do not want to finance to give me her number, and when I come up with enough money I'll call her and purchase the vacuum Kirby Avalir 2. So she comes sell me the vacuum when I call her, and left. The vacuum is used. It has a bleach stain on bag. The Kevlar fan is caked with dirt, from someone vacuuming while wet, and is cracked. It is scratched to hell, and dirty, and missing the shampooer and half the attachments... I called her immediately, and she said I will have you another one tommorow. nope not that day, the next day, the next day, the next day. Talked to her repeatedly, and received the run around...

Finally I call Kirby. They give me the number to Gc Distributors in Conyers, Ga. I called and spoke to them only to find out the serial number she sold me was one that she won in a contest, and used, and she pocketed the money I gave her. I called police and they said it is a civil matter, but did call her and told her she might want to take care of this immediately... I was told by gc that they cannot replace it, due to that it didn't come from their inventory, and only Jessica can fix problem, so she hasn't showed up to work or anything, and isn't answering the phone so we think she ran off with my money and frauded me w/ intent....

The receipt she gave me is on the financing paperwork, and not on the right receipt for gc distributors... I want Kirby to make this right. I am so disappointed, and upset. I have had almost every model of Kirby's, and a huge fan, but if this issue isn't rectified Kirby lost a life customer, and alot of my family that are customers, and I'm going to put this review on every website that has to do with kirby, and call every news station I can think of.... Thanks. Jonathan

Not sure about Kirby Vacuum Cleaners?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Vacuum Cleaners for you.

Kirby expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The Kirby Company is a division of the Scott Fetzer Company, which was founded in 1914. It is named after Jim Kirby, who designed the company's early vacuum cleaners.

• Scheduled demonstrations: Potential buyers can schedule demonstrations to help them decide whether they want to own Kirby vacuums.

• Useful tools: Kirby home care systems have tools that let them convert into everything from air pumps to carpet shampoo systems.

• Customer service: Kirby offers a wide range of customer services, including online how-to videos and phone support.

• Limited warranty: All Kirby vacuums come with three-year limited warranties.

• Maintenance services: Rebuild and maintenance services are available to lengthen the life of Kirby vacuums.

• Best for: Kirby's flexible vacuum system makes it useful for homeowners, renters, landlords and drivers.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team