Kirby Vacuum Cleaners
Kirby Vacuum Cleaners
2.41/5
Based on 119 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

For nearly one-hundred years, The Kirby Company has manufactured superior, American-made home cleaning systems. Kirby does not sell directly to the public but continues a long tradition of distributing its home cleaning systems through independent distributors, who are responsible for running their own businesses. Over the years, this distribution system has afforded thousands of men and women the opportunity to live the American dream of owning and operating their own businesses.

Experience has taught us that customers prefer to try our premium cleaning systems in their own homes before purchasing. Customer satisfaction is our top priority. If customers have any questions or concerns regarding the in-home demonstrations of Kirby cleaning systems or the cleaning systems themselves, please email us at consumer@kirbywhq.com, or call us at 800-494-8586, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., EST.

View More View More

1633 Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 15, 2018

Two representatives showed up today and kept harassing my elderly mother to the point of illness despite her asking them to respect the no soliciting sign and explains she owns a Kirby and what model and that she doesn't need a Kirby. They continue for over 5 minutes beyond her asking them to leave again. I had to come from over 100 ft away stacking firewood out back to stop these two and demand they follow the law, obey the sign and leave. They tried conning me into believing a solicitor's permit allows them to do as they please. I was polite until this point at which I demanded they leave due to trespassing. They refused and harassed us both for 10 minutes straight lying outright about the laws while continuing to trespass.

They then finally left after I kept laying down state law and city ordinances the whole time. They then phone their van and have them harass us by stopping in the middle of the street cussing, screaming, hollering, catcalling and being racist for several minutes. Being outnumbered 8 to 1 I demanded they leave or I'd be forced to protect myself against their violent behavior as they kept trying to intimidate me and act like they were going to start an altercation. They sped off and came back twice more. Police were called to report the incident and they hid out for 15 minutes approximately and came back to the neighborhood. Police were called again. They tried to file a false report and lied to officers when two squads rolled up on them catching them. All 8 are blacklisted. I will never buy anything Kirby and next time Kirby drops by they will be greeted by police each time without discussion anymore. Shady, illegal practices.

Original review: June 11, 2018

These are the best vacuums on the market. I've owned 3 in 30 years and they are built to last. The best vacuums for pet homes, top quality built. Never ever clogs. I own 6 german shepherds who shed like crazy and the Kirby kicks butt every time. No vacuum on the market can compete with a kirby, I've had the Dyson, the Hoover and the Shark and there is no comparison. They all clogged on me and couldn't handle the dog hair. Not my kirby. Always easily suctions up all the hair. These are amazing vacuum cleaners. My only complaint is they are a heavy vacuum.

Get expert buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I have had my Kirby for four years now. Had it refurbished twice now, only because it was looking dingy. I have not had to pay a dime since my warranty covered it all. I LOVE MY KIRBY. It cleans very well and yes a little heavy. But if you know how to use it it is a wonderful product to own.

Original review: May 31, 2018

On April 3rd 2018 my wife and I had people come to the door saying they would clean a room of carpet for free, needless to say they were selling vacuums. They were quite pushy and stayed about 3 to 4 hours. My wife kept saying we were not going to buy the vacuum, well I finally said ok and bought one. My wife asked about the bags that went in the vacuum because we have a lab and with our other vacuum we have to replace the bag about every month due to the fact that dog hair will start to smell. The salesman told my wife this vacuum would not have a odor and we would only have to replace the bag every 6 months as the Kirby bags cost $10 per bag. Well let me tell you this is the worst machine we have ever owned. The shampoo for this machine has made my carpet smell like vomit and Kirby is suppose to be the elite vacuum.

I have recleaned my carpets three times and cannot get the odor out and if Kirby is so great why can I put a new bag in this machine and vacuum my carpets and my wife will go right behind me with a Hoover bagless and the cup is full of dust, dirt and dog hair. I feel this company is very misleading about the performance of their products. They also charge different prices for different people, not to mention they took a Bissell carpet cleaner and a Hoover wind tunnel from my house when they left, saying that was part of the deal they gave me on this worthless machine.

I have owned Hoover vacuums and just bought the Bissell carpet cleaner about a year ago and I am going out today to buy another Bissell machine to get the puke smell out of my carpets. I still own a Hoover upright vacuum, so I won’t have to replace that. I think Kirby is the most uncaring and non customer friendly co. Please anyone who reads this review should never purchase a Kirby, worst product and worst co, ever!!! Oh and if you do buy one from the very pushy sales people and you own a pet, you will be spending $120.00 a year for bags. If I option to rate 0 I would.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I had a shady experience with Kirby this evening, so I went online to look into renting one to give it a try before my father purchased it. I ran into these reviews, which completely mirror my own experiences and explain why I was not comfortable with their presentation. I was on my way to an appointment when they arrived in the evening, around dinner time. I was actually having a bite to eat when they came. Since they said that they were going to clean the carpet and couch, I removed the clean laundry off of the couch so that they could clean it right.

I take care of my father whose reasoning skills are inhibited due to age and medical issues. Kirby reached out to him one day when I was not home and set up an appointment to clean the carpets. Today, they came around 5:45 pm to sale the vacuum under the guise of cleaning the carpets. As a spoiler alert, the carpets were never cleaned, sans the entryway to my dad’s bedroom that served as the demonstration of the vacuum’s abilities as a necessary insurance for our most prized possessions in our house.

This is what I did not like: 1) They stayed for three hours! 2) It was obvious that they prey on people that seem like they’ll take the bait and purchase this over-priced product. 3) Way too pushy! He must’ve asked my dad roughly about 20 times if he was ready to purchase the vacuum today. I had to be aggressive with my father until he finally told the young salesperson “no” and tore up the contract that he had began signing. The guy had a clear attitude that he didn’t get the sale and then began cleaning the entire vacuum from the presentation on our carpet without asking. I thought it to be presumptuous and rude. It also made an awkward situation even more awkward!

4) They left the salesman at my house, giving him no way to leave earlier than their desired time that they clearly set. 5) He gave the same spiel/sob story about wanting to earn a vacation for his 19th birthday that is similar to other scenarios that I read here. He also stated that he was trying to earn money for college tuition, but when I mentioned other resources for obtaining financial aid, he actually looked dumbfounded. Our customer satisfaction should not be centered around his vacation goals, with the product being the driving force.

6) They tore the mattress cover on my father’s bed using the Kirby. When I presented this to the manager, he gave me a card... FOR RECRUITING! He thought he was slick when he did not give me his cell number, as he pretended to not have any more of his own business cards. Instead, he told me to contact Ashley and have her connect me to the owner, Nick. He actually wanted me to give him my receipt. I suggested taking a picture of it and sending it to the person who could refund us the value of the mattress cover. To see that it was an issue for them to even do this, demonstrated to me that I do not want to do business with the company. The salesperson’s response to tearing the mattress pad was, “my bad..” He was young and needed to learn that when you make those types of accidents, you must be responsible for it. I’m not holding my breath that someone will actually replace the mattress pad, but it would be the right thing to do.

7) For each time I stated reasons for not wanting the vacuum, the salesperson shot back with his pre-scripted reasons for why it is a great purchase. Anyone who has dealt with a number of sales knows that if a product is that good, they don’t force you to buy it. They give you the information and allow you to make a decision. GREAT PRODUCTS SALE THEMSELVES!!! What I didn’t hear in their presentation is that, given that my father is a senior, they’d give him time to think about the offer and decide if it was something that he could even afford! 8) I found the free carpet cleaning deceptive and am glad that I was home to derail the purchase of this vacuum. There’s got to be something else on the market that can clean similarly and make house chores much easier.

9) Overall, it felt like they were targeting my father because he is a senior and sickly. There are many seniors in this neighborhood. Let’s be vigilant to protect our loved ones against people/companies like this who do not respect one’s time or freedom to say “no”. I missed an appointment dealing with these people, and also wondered if I’d have to call the police to get them out of our house! 10) **Check your windows and doors! I found the front window used in the demonstration was unlocked and opened. After an experience like the one we had today, it makes me feel unsafe in my own neighborhood.

11) Side note: The sales person had to keep calling into the contest desk in order to show us what the vacuum could do. I actually heard the manager on the other end telling the novice what to say to my father! I was right there to respond to his statements. I kept my cool because I wanted them gone, but it was THE WORST sales experience that I’ve ever been a part of in my life! I do not recommend this product because of their shady techniques. IF it sounds too good to be true, it’s probably because it is! Buyer, beware. Do your research before you purchase a Kirby vacuum cleaner.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby?

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 27, 2018

A lady came to our door telling us she was our new neighbor and was starting her own business. She said she contacted the police to ask if she could go door to door to hand out flyers for free services. They told her she could do that. She gave us the bright pink flyer which stated they would clean one of the following: carpet, tile, grout, hardwood, laminate, at NO CHARGE but this offer was only for today. She came in and looked at our floor and I told her I would like my grout cleaned and treated. She said she would also fluff up the carpet.

The workers were at another house and would be here in about 15 minutes. I said that was fine. Two minutes later there was a knock on the door and she said the workers were here sooner than she thought. One guy came in and proceeded to get his Kirby out of the box. I asked what he was doing because I was supposed to get the grout cleaned. He didn't know anything about that but that since he was here, he might as well show us the Kirby. I told him we are not purchasing anything, we saw this demonstration years ago. After half an hour, he finally packed up and left. I never saw any grout cleaners like they said. This is just a big scam to me. I found out she was not my neighbor; she misrepresented herself because the street she told me she lives on is not in my development. They gave some information on the bottom of the slip: Call Go Distributing 209-518-7819. I tried calling but got no answer.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Betty, we are disappointed to hear about your experience with an independent distributor and your Kirby system. Please contact our Consumer Relations department at 1-800-494-8586 for further assistance. Thank you!

Original review: May 23, 2018

We have been using Kirby Vacuums for over 40 years. The last one was bought less than 18 months ago. We only used this vacuum about 2 or 3 times contingent upon the fact that, we are in an advanced stage of aging. At the time of purchasing this was not an issue, however, circumstances do alter cases. I have made about 10 calls to several departments and asked them to kindly consider the circumstances and either; take back the Vacuum and cancel the sale or, support us in a way that all parties will be satisfied. The account is paid up to November 2018, and of course, we are in the month of April, therefore, we are in excellent standing with the company financially.

Over the past 40 years of doing business with Kirby, we found them to be excellent. Suffice it to say, over this period we never asked them any favour/s. Reflective upon this period of negotiation we have just found out that many of the senior people with whom we have to speak are: very abrupt, unapproachable, have no tolerance other than to effect a sale. We are disappointed. Many times we call we end up with abrupt people who immediately toss us to another department. "The products are good but management tactics are corrupt". We would like Kirby to amicable settle our account. (Many of the people with whom we speak told us to give away the product and continue paying for the product.)

After 40 years, we hereby conclude that Kirby is somewhat fraudulent, deceptive, or uniquely unscrupulous. Kirby! You have fooled us in certain ways for over 40 years. You have a very good business however, you are killing it. We are sorry that we have ever done business with you. Reflective upon all these specificities, you should concur with us that, the organizational cultures of your company is rotten and needs to be reorganized. Kirby, we are awaiting your new decision, be credible and make one now.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Too heavy. Any minor issue breaks the vacuum belt. Too many multi layers to accomplish one such as a hose for individualize cleaning spots such as spider webs. Purchased from a nice door to door sales person. Have door ringer now and will not answer if sales.

Resolution response: June 7, 2018

The Kirby Company answered my complaint. They left a phone # to Consumer Relations and I called them that same day. I told them that I wanted to return my Kirby Vacuum and get a full refund under their policy the "Golden Ager/Disabled Consumer Purchase Cancellation Procedure". Monica from Consumer Relations asked me some questions and wanted me to fax copies of proof of disability and a letter from my doctor. After I got those copies to Consumer Relations. In 1-2days I got a phone call from MAX Sales, Inc. on June 6, 2018 telling me that they were coming to pick-up the Kirby Vacuum Cleaner in the afternoon. MAX Sales, Inc. received the vacuum and I will be getting my full refund.

Original review: May 20, 2018

On December 23, 2017, I purchased a Kirby Vacuum Cleaner. I was so happy about getting the vacuum cleaner, I did not think about all the lifting of the vacuum cleaner I would be doing (I am disabled and being treated for a neck and lower back injury). From day one I have not used the vacuum cleaner. I've been thinking of a way to cancel my vacuum cleaner and returning it. After 4mos., I found a policy you have. The Golden Ager/Disability (Regardless of age) which restricts or prevent the consumer's use of the Kirby System, may cancel and rescind the purchase transaction up to 9 mos. after the date of purchase.

I called MAX Sales, Inc. (the company the salesperson worked for, Mike **) on May 8, 2018, in the morning and talked to someone named Max (he told me he would call me back in the afternoon). Then on May 19, 2018, I called in the morning and left a message for Max and a phone number. I'm still waiting for that phone call. Now it's May 19, 2018, no word yet. Is this the type of Distributor you want, selling your brand name product in the state of Hawaii. I'm very sad and disappointed. ALOHA and MAHALO!!

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Kyle, we are disappointed to hear about your experience with an independent distributor and your Kirby system. Please contact Consumer Relations at 1-800-494-8586 for further assistance. Thank you!

Original review: May 16, 2018

So my husband recently started working to sell the Kirby. He was told 500.00 a week guaranteed plus 15 sales calls Monday through Friday and during training that if they set their own practice appointments their gas would be reimbursed. He was told that for every Kirby he sold her get 200.00. He was also informed that he would only be working from 9 am to 6 pm at the latest. I say B.S.! Everything was a lie. They said they'd give us the 35.00 we put into gas back for his appointment they handed me a 10.00 bill and said that it should get me home after dropping him off as we were on empty and that's all they could do for now and that they'd make sure my husband had a ride home after work. This was a lie too.

They gave him a ride back to town about 5 miles from my house and dropped him off at 9:45 because they didn't want to get lost dropping him off at home, (so they can make it to their appointments but they can't use the GPS to get to it house?) so I had to wake up my kids and go pick him up. The next day they worked him from 9:00 am until 11:30 pm. And I had to find a way to get gas to go up to Columbia again wake up my children because they use their company car and he's not the one driving To pick him up (40 minutes each way for me to drive). He found out yesterday the following: They are not giving the remaining gas money they said they'd pay us back, the 500.00 that was supposedly guaranteed he's only paid if he sells 5 vacuums a week or if he makes it to 15 appointments (which he has no control over how many he makes it to, as the canvassers make their appointments).

Well the canvassers only set 13 appointments for the week so unless he sold 5 he wouldn't get any of the 500.00 payment. He made his first sale yesterday. However the commission because it was a used Kirby they wanted the one that was being used for demo was given to them for 900.00 so my husband because he was the sales rep Only gets 90.00. Shoo again another lie. It's a 10% commission all of a sudden. So say he didn't make a sale or commission aside; Say the canvassers set the 15 appointments. At 500 a week with the hours they have him running it's still under minimum wage.

Minimum wage in Missouri is 7.85 an hour. He had never gotten off before 9 pm and the one in charge when my husband explained and questioned what was going on and that he has children to support that he can't work like this with the deception and not even the possibility of pay my husband asked him if he was even going to see the commission from his sale and he said that he'd get paid but after our experience and that they couldn't even pay us the 30.00. This is worse than any sales company I've ever encountered and I will be reporting this on every site.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I had a door to door salesman come at around 7:30 one evening. Said he wanted to come in and clean my carpets for me. I said no. Then he gave some sob story about how he needed one more house to do to get a $500 bonus. So I let him come in. Long story short he did his demonstration then wouldn’t leave till I said ok. He was here until 10:30 at night on a school night! Then I’ve used it now for a couple months and I hate it. I call to see what kind of satisfaction guarantee they have and guess what? They don’t have one! They give you 3 days to cancel the order. So we pay tons of money for their product for them to not even have a satisfaction guarantee? I hate my vacuum and I’m stuck with it. I will never recommend this vacuum company to anyone. They are crooks. I should have just kicked that guy out of my house that night.

Original review: May 9, 2018

This weekend Newport hosted a loyalty day parade, which was one of the reasons this person gained access to my home. Unfortunately I answered the door to a fast talking man holding a free bottle of room spray for me, who claimed to be from a cleaning company. Because of loyalty day and Mother’s Day, their company was being paid to go into 50 peoples homes and carry out a cleaning of something. No fee, a free service, just pick something to be cleaned. He told me my neighbor was having it done and so I thought ‘what’s the harm, it’s free’. BIG MISTAKE.

I told him OK, yes, maybe the carpet, because I have a cat and the house had previously been rented to dog owners. But I was heading out in an hour for the parade. He told me he would text someone and get them to come over immediately. 10 minutes later a guy turns up, and that’s when the sales pitch started. He asked me how long I had lived in the house and how old the carpets/rugs were. Whilst trying to give information I thought was pertinent to the free cleaning, he started using all this information against me whilst taking out the Kirby Vacuum cleaner.

After all the usual sale tactics and me saying I didn’t want to buy a vacuum cleaner he kept pushing, asking me why not, and could I not just consider buying one whilst he was in my house. Basically saying he wasn’t leaving unless I did. I continued to say no, even through his lame attempt to guilt trip me because he was trying to win a holiday to Las Vegas, and me buying one would get him even closer to this.

I continued to say no, coming up with every excuse I could think, but he fired them straight back at me. I told him I had to leave and so he needed to go. He then said he had to shampoo the carpet. I asked how long it would take to dry because I needed to go out and I have an indoor only cat and didn’t want to leave when it was wet. He told me the stuff they use is children safe and pet safe, I asked to see the bottles and there is no information stating this on the bottle. He said the sales staff ‘do shots’ with it and rub it in their eyes. I told him no. My cat is indoor only and I can’t have something go down that might upset him or his environment. At this he got visibly annoyed, stating, ‘I only get paid if I shampoo’ and that the dirt on my floor was worse for my cat than anything he would put down!!! That was the last straw.

Finally he left and I did not buy his stupid vacuum cleaner, but I have to say this was a very long and uncomfortable situation that I did not need on my Saturday morning in my own home. I do not care for pushy salespeople or companies that have staff who work for commission. It is not my responsibility to pay their salaries. I have read other reviews that are similar to mine and feel for the people who were not able to get out of this without buying one. Do not let these people into your home and just say NO. There is no such thing as ‘free’ and his opening phrase of ‘I’ll just show you - no pressure at all’ was complete garbage.

Original review: May 8, 2018

My experience with the Kirby sales rep was similar to the others I read. They get in with the offer to clean an area for free and then never leave. They just don't take no for an answer, and had to be here 3 hours. They kept dropping the price every time we said no. They knew they had my wife hooked, but I was the problem. I was in our bedroom changing clothes with the door shut and the guy just opened the door and walked in. I was standing there in my underwear. How do you just walk into someone's bedroom like that. Instead of the Kirby responding with their same standard answer maybe they should do something about it.

Original review: May 4, 2018

My experience with a Kirby rep was quite similar to the 10 I have already perused. However, this Kirby rep had a package of paper towels and a small bottle of laundry soap and said they were opening a new store next to a nearby Walmart that would target housecleaning products. I talked to him thru my locked storm door and said I didn't have much time as I just got home from the dentist and was tired. He said I could pick the product of my choice just to look at some info about their new store (nothing about a vacuum cleaner, Kirby or carpets at this point).

To make a long story short, even though the rep was persistent and even drummed up a sob story about wanting to win the vacation to FL for him and his drug-addicted sister who was still in "NA", I kept saying "no, I cannot afford that right now." By the end of his pushing and pushing, he lowered the price to 898, payments deferred for 3 months, 12 months same as cash and I could keep my old vacuums (I still did not buy the Kirby. It is impressive in its ability to get the dirt, but I am disabled and could not see having to pick the upright unit up). BTW: legally, most states allow a consumer to get out of a signed contract within 3 days, so I would check with your State's "Secretary of State" office about your state's policy. It is sad that these independent reps have to sully the name of Kirby, but doesn't Kirby do any vetting of distributors? Just sayin'.

Original review: April 26, 2018

This predatory company came into my neighborhood which clearly has a sign that says no soliciting. Talked my autistic family member into buying this overpriced crap. When I found out and told them to call and return it they would not allow it. I'm going to have to get a lawyer now to settle this. I'm beyond angry. I have to close my checking account so the money doesn't come out. I checked the address on the receipt and it's a tow company. I looked up the corporate address in the fine print and it's a low class residential area in Pace FL. Hardly the way a successful company that sells $1500 vacuums operates. How is this scam not shut down?!

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi James, we are disappointed to read about your experience with an independent distributor. While we at The Kirby Company are not a party affiliated with the agreements to these sales people or their distributorships, we take situations like yours very seriously. Please contact our Consumer Relations department immediately at 1-800-494-8586 so we can further assist you. Thank you!

Original review: April 22, 2018

I was making dinner tonight and was home with my 4 year old when I heard a knock at the door. I was expecting company so I had my little one answer the door and heard “is your mommy or daddy home?” I went to the door and found the sleazebag that would infest my home with lies and leave it smelling like an ashtray after loitering long past his welcome.

He told me that he was part of a small business that was setting up shop locally and that to do so they needed to perform 45 free cleanings in order to get the best feel for where to locate the store. Fair enough, I like free stuff and I like local business so I directly asked how long it would take and said I had thirty minutes tops because I had company coming over for dinner. That’s when stuff got stupid really fast. Some 18 year old kid comes in and he’s a fast talker but a really bad one. His favorite trick was to ask about interests and then really sink his time into painting me as some great American hero for liking things like baseball and dogs and for making bacon.

30 minutes in is when he STARTED cleaning the sofa he said he would. By this time I was absorbed in making dinner and lost track of time. I asked him to leave a couple of times politely but saying “We are not interested in buying a vacuum cleaner, but thank you for the demonstration.” He must have graduated with honors from the school of how to make people hate you by not listening. Whatever the opposite of winning friends and influencing people is, that’s this guy. He continued for 2 hours to try and sell me a vacuum. I put dinner on the table and these jerks WOULD NOT LEAVE MY HOUSE!! I should add that my friends had arrived and the vacuum people basically restarted the pitch with them. I eventually ran out of patience and told them: “Look, nobody here wants what you’re selling and we are tired of you being here, so please go.”

Did that work? Not a chance!! The kid (who mentioned being in Seattle usually and having just finished up a turn through Arizona selling these atrociously heavy vacuum cleaners, so, no, they were not a local business looking to set up shop down the block) didn’t leave; he called his manager who showed up and wouldn’t listen to anything but instead launched into cornering and badgering sales tactics: “how much can you put down today?” Me: “Nothing; leave.” Salesjerk: “We have payment plans...” Me: “Get. Out. “ Salesmoron: “Okay guys, show them the shampoo demo so we get credit for the demonstration.”

Ah yes, the contest. The entire duration of the demonstration, these sales guys mentioned some stupid contest no less than 7 times combined. See, their story was that one of them was only three vacuum cleaners away from a free trip to Wisconsin Dells. Odd—was it a contest or an incentive program? These guys didn’t strike me as the type that would know the difference. I was told late in the demo that if they weren’t allowed to finish the shampoo and some other God-forsaken cleaning process that Mr. I-need-to-sell-just-3-more-Kirby’s-before-I-can-earn-my-vacation wouldn’t get credit for his time and would get in trouble with his boss.

By this time, I was to the blurting-things-out stage so I did just that. HA!! I laughed out loud. “You spent the last two hours doing who knows what; it’s not my problem that you squandered your precious shampooing time chattering in for half hours at a time about nothing while you could have been getting credit for your demonstration. Nope, not my issue. You’re done. Get out.”

He actually responds by turning to his trainee and saying: “This is the awkward part where we have to pack everything up because they’re mad and they just want us to leave.” Un-be-freaking-lievable!!! I see that Kirby responds to these comments here and says things like: “...while we aren’t affiliated with our third party resellers...” WELL MAYBE YOU SHOULD BE!! For crying out loud!! Never again, Kirby, and regardless of your relationship with your resellers, I will NEVER recommend your sleaze-driven products. Ever. I’d rather live in hazardous waste than deal with another of your “I’m just a local business owner looking to"—Nope. Lies. Too bad. I actually liked the vacuum a bit.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I was unhappy with the way thing went down. First they tricked their way in. I told them no many times kept on with showing me what it could do. Finally husband says yes which he should not. We really cannot afford this. They dont want to take it back. They have extended payment till Sep. They took my vacuum that I had bought less than a month ago. The price is too high. Not saying it is not a good machine. It's heavy to lift. I would like them to come and take it back. Have called several times. They are extending when first payment is due but I am look down the road and the price and not sure we can pay all those payments. It adds up to a little over 2000. Too much that we cannot afford to put out at this time yet they put us in a position of paying out these monies that we cannot afford.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I had a similar experience as most of the reviewers. The guys were nice, but not willing to take no for an answer. They made it sound so good and easy to use that I ended up purchasing it. Right away we were not thrilled with it. It is difficult to use especially when changing from vacuum to shampooer. The roller keeps stopping and not we're not sure why. I called to say I was unhappy with it and of course, you cannot return and get any kind of refund. So, now we are stuck with a vacuum that cost thousands of dollars and nothing to be done about it. Never again!

Original review: April 13, 2018

Not satisfied with the Kirby Vacuum. Had it for a year and still miss my old one they supposedly gave me credit for and took with them. The guy cleaning our carpets even was nervous because at first he couldn't find dirt. And asked what kind of vacuum we had. Wish I could sell it back to them. If so please message me back.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I bought a new machine after the cleaning. They are very pushy and make you feel like you can’t live without it. They gave me a credit and took my perfectly good vacuum. I am disabled and can’t even put the front of the vacuum itself on. I had to go out and buy a broom and can’t even afford to buy a new vacuum. I can’t lift it. I can’t move it. I can’t bring it up and down the stairs. My floors are disgusting and there should be a law against people selling these machines, especially to the elderly and disabled. I pay $140 a month for a machine I can’t even use. My daughter and I can’t even breathe at night with the amount of dust and dirt on our floors. I have called the number of the “manager” who left his card... like 20 times. The one time he did answer he said the best he could do was send someone out to “assist” me with using the machine and to look at the attachment that was already broken. He scheduled me for 4pm the next day.

Two days later at 1pm, I got a call from a lady who said she was outside my house and was wondering where I was. I have tried to sell it to at least pay off the balance, since I live on my limited social security income, and no one wants it. Warren Buffett should be ashamed of himself. I nearly killed myself trying to move this from my kitchen to my bedroom. I sit and cry because I answered the door that day. Please everyone beware. I’ve also called the 800 number countless times.

After sitting on hold, I eventually get sent to a voicemail where I leave my information, and no one gets back to me. In a few years, I’ll pay it off, it will cost me about 5k when all is done, then I’ll throw it in the trash. I hope Warren Buffett feels good about himself. This is the worst scam I've ever seen. Don’t answer the door people. If your company really believed in your machines, you wouldn’t have to force people to buy them, you would answer your customers calls and take them back from the people that can’t use them. Instead, you leave countless victims in your wake. :(

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Jamielee, we are disappointed to read about your experience with an independent Kirby salesperson. Even though The Kirby Company is not a party to the agreements between the salespeople or "dealers" that were at your home and the independent distributorships with which they affiliate, The Kirby Company still takes matters like yours seriously. Please contact our Consumer Relations department for further assistance at 1-800-494-8586. Thank you!

Original review: April 12, 2018

It all starts with an offer to clean your carpets for free. Then I ask how long it will take and he replies 30 minutes. Two hours later he is still in my apartment. In retrospect, at this point your best plan of action if he continues to pester you is to CALL THE POLICE. I am the owner of a puppy so of course a carpet cleaning was something that I could use. The salesman (his name was Brian) did clean my carpets, but as I mentioned he took forever and all the while I was forced to listen to this very canned hard-sell spiel.

My vacuum was over 15 years old so eventually I decided to purchase a vacuum. The price started at $2300 and it ended at $800 for a lesser model vacuum. I wrote him a separate check for cleaning my carpets so needless to say I was a dream customer for this clown. Once he got the check he couldn't get out of the door quick enough. He had promised to return to give me a tutorial on the lesser model vacuum but I tried to chase him down for 2 weeks and he always had a lame excuse to not return. Bottomline while the vacuum is decent they are way overpriced and the lousy customer service is not worth the terrible experience. As I opened with "RUN don't walk away from these fast talking carnival barkers."

Original review: April 12, 2018

Shady business practices. They come to your door acting like they are offering you a free cleaning service; no purchase required, but they are hoping you'll use them in the future and refer your friends. Once you agree to that, someone else comes in carrying a Kirby. They probably are good vacuums, but I wouldn't buy from them because of their deceitfulness in getting in the door.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I normally never allow sales reps to come into my home, but I was somewhat interested because I was in need of a new vacuum cleaner/rug cleaner, and since the Kirby system offer both, I gave the demonstration a try. As it turned out, it was the worst experience that I had ever had with a company, its sale reps, and the independent owner.

For starters, I was at home alone with my 11 years old son when I invited two sales reps to show me the product. The demonstration on the Kirby system was going great and I had instantly fallen in love with the product. All of sudden, the demonstration took a turn for the worst. One of the sales rep made a racial slur which took me by surprise. He asked me if I liked bugs and I had replied no. Then he asked, "What do I do to bugs when I see them"? I said that I would kill them sometimes. Then the sales rep said that he can tell that I was from St. Louis because I loved killing roaches and bugs.

At that point, it seemed as though time has stopped. The second sales rep and I looked at each other as if we could not believe what we had heard from the first rep. Then the second rep just at the floor and started shaking his head in disgust. It wasn't until later, after talking to their boss/independent owner told me that the first rep was not trained to make such a comment to me. But, since I own a property management company and loved the Kirby system so much and wanted to learn more about the system, I had ignored the remark and allowed him to continue the demonstration... THAT WAS A REGRETTABLE HUGE MISTAKE on my part because it got worse from there!

During the demonstration, I learned that the first rep was actually training the second rep. It became obvious that first rep took pride in bossing around his new trainee. And the trainee did not appreciate being bossed around, especially since it was done in a very unprofessional manner. Anyway, once I agreed to purchase the system, which was $2100, the first rep went to retrieve an application for financing purpose.

During this time the second/trainee rep because to pace around my house as he rubbed his hand together as if to release some tension, due to the fact he felt disrespected and bossed around. He started to sweat really bad. That when I became afraid in my own house because I saw anger in the second rep's eyes, but I immediately wanted to take control of the situation because my husband was at work and I was at home with my young son.

Therefore, I felt trapped in the middle and I did my very best to try to calm him down because I did not want things to escalate any further between the two reps. I told him to ignore him and to just let it go and just finish his day on a good note, especially since he was new on the job. But my attempt fell on deaf ears. Instead, he told me that he hates the first rep and thought that he was a "** snake", (his actual words). I could not believe he had cursed right in front me! Then, the first rep came back in the house and rudely told the second rep to start vacuuming my carpet. He replied, "No, because I don't have a vacuum bag". That's when the first rep got up in the second's rep face and demanded him to do it. At this point, I got scared because they both looked like they were about to fight in my living room. Then my husband came through the door and I felt that was the only reason why they did not go to blows.

I must have had a look of terror on my face because my husband asked me if there was anything wrong and if I was okay. I simply told him yes, which was a complete lie. I told the second rep at that point that he did not need to vacuum and I would do it later. I just wanted to sign the contract and get them two out of my house.

I still wanted the Kirby system after that madness that went on in my home, only because I thought was a AWESOME system and on top of that, I was able to finance the purchase and knew I would get great use out of it. But when I told my husband what had happened in our home and about the terrible experience and how afraid I was, he immediately wanted me to return it. My husband was pissed and said that we will not purchase or support anything from the Kirby company ever again! So I called the finance company the next day to make a complaint and to cancel the contract and request them to return my vacuum cleaner as well as pick up theirs.

A few days later, the independent owner called me and was very apologetic. We made arrangements for him to personally pick up the Kirby system and he had promised to bring my vacuum with him on the same day. But on the day he came to my home, he did not bring my vacuum cleaner at all. Instead, he tried to sell me the latest version of the vacuum cleaner, which left me in awe. I was so upset and so was my husband. Then the independent owner made a second promise to me to return the next day with my vacuum, which that was another lie because he had failed to make good on his promise. I did not even receive a courtesy call from him. I waited for another day just to see if he would come back to my home and he did not. WOW!!! It all made sense to me then. I thought the apples (the reps) did not fall too far from the tree (the owner).

At this point, I was totally DISGUSTED and just had enough of the Kirby company and its representatives because I was treated with disrespect and lied to in my own home. It wasn't until three days later, I was contacted by another rep. This rep left me a voicemail to inform me that he was head to my home to pick up the Kirby system and to return my vacuum cleaner. Unfortunately, my family and I were out of town to celebrate my husband's birthday for the weekend. On the following Monday, I called in independent office to setup arrangement to get my vacuum back and to return the Kirby system. I must have called four times. Each time I called, I was immediately sent to a voicemail system and could not leave a message because of it being full. Now, I was thinking that I was scammed!

That is when I called the corporate office and spoke to a very understanding rep took down my complaint and listened to my worries. He assured me that he would get in touch with the independent owner for. I can only assume that he did because the independent owner sent me a text message to arrange a third attempt to follow through with returning to my home. So, tomorrow I am really looking forward to getting this system out of my house and to put the disastrous experience behind me, hopefully. But, I am not going to hold my breath because I have a better chance of dying than anything else! Now, my husband told me that I cannot make any big purchase without his consent first, which is crazy because out of 15 years of marriage, this is the first time he has ever demanded that of me. I no longer have purchasing power. Thanks Kirby for having a negative impact on my life!

Original review: April 6, 2018

The finance contract was mishandled by Merchants Acceptance. It was set up to be an automatic deduction, but they lost the information. I got a call telling me my payment was late. I gave them my debit card information they were to use each month. Once again I received a call saying I was late and tried to add a late charge. That did not happen!!! I suggest Kirby get another finance co. to handle the accounts. DO NOT ALLOW KIRBY TO FINANCE YOUR UNIT WITH MERCHANTS ACCEPTANCE.

Original review: April 6, 2018

A relative received a demo and gave our name as a possible interested party. It's true we purchased a new home that has about 2500 sq feet of carpet. A woman called and offered a free cleaning. A nice respectful man showed up. I was appalled by how much dust and grime the vacuum was pulling up. Like anything the price is up for negotiation. I paid $1295. I cut the demo short as our toddler was done and ready for bed. Even after he had the sale he still wanted to finish cleaning our carpets! He took the time to make sure we could assemble and disassemble the attachments. The salesperson was great.

The vacuum is super heavy and clunky for sure but the amount of dust it was pulling out and we had a Dyson! It’s worth the effort and price for me. We have owned for about a month and after thorough cleaning and regular maintenance my asthma and allergies has greatly improved. I know several people who have owned their machines 30+ years. I hope ours last as long. Currently I am very satisfied overall.

Original review: April 5, 2018

They sold a vacuum for 3000 dollars to my 74 year old grandmother. I'm taking her to their building to cancel tomorrow. Please do not get scammed by them. It's a shame, it's a really nice vacuum. 3000 is way too much for it though. They tried to X out the, "Notice of Cancellation" as well.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Eric, we are disappointed to read about your experience with an independent distributor. While we here at The Kirby Company are not a party to the agreements between the distributors, we take matters like yours very seriously. Please provide us with a good number to reach you at to pass along to our Consumer Relations department to further assist. Thank you!

Original review: April 2, 2018

I got my Kirby Avalir 2 vacuum cleaner an week ago. I had not used it. So I got ready to used the different parts and all of the parts had been used on someone else floors. The shampoo container had been used.

Original review: March 29, 2018

During sale Steven ** made so many promises. Now when calling and asking for a call back he hasn’t the time. Called customer service and very brash also no time to hear my issue. I informed her I was an engineer and didn’t need to be talked down to, which she replied she had been doing this for 40 years. I’m guessing all those years she never learned customer service care. I hung up to collect my thoughts.

If you’re interested in purchasing a Kirby just rethink your choice of whom to buy from. Kenny Family Enterprises lacks customer service. I now have a vacuum I wish I had not spent $3000.00 to buy. When my mom purchased a Kirby in the 70’s their customer service was exceptional and the vacuum is still working, that’s why I chose the Kirby to begin with. The company selling this vacuum is questionable and only interested in the sale. If returning the vacuum was an option and full refund available I definitely would take it. I would also continue to buy a BISSELL just for their awesome customer service even if it meant spending $4000.00 in my lifetime.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Where do I begin?!? The guy shows up to my door with my "free dish soap" and begs me to come inside because he's cold. The nice person I am, I accept. BAD IDEA. He said he would vacuum a small area then shampoo a spot, make it quick, maybe 30 minutes and if I'm not sold on the vacuum there was no pressure. **! He not only stayed about an hour is past when he said he would, I politely declined several times and he would not take no for an answer. I explain my husband and I are swamped in bills we do not need to add to our expenses. Blowing off what I said he keeps calling his boss for a discount. Even tries buying off my new Shark vacuum I just got 2 weeks ago for a trade in - even after I said I was not getting rid of it. I kept asking him to leave, come back later, etc. He kept pulling out more stuff for a demo I told him I was done with.

All this is happening while my husband is at work. My brother finds out what's going on, he shows up to help kick the annoying pest of a salesman out of my house. He started being rude to us, then calls his boss and says "looks like the customer got her husband to call his boyfriend to kick me out." I tell him that's enough, he needs to get his crap together and get the hell out. He keeps dragging his feet and saying rude things to my brother. His boss shows up and lets himself into my house. He's also trying his scam of a pitch. I tell them I was not interested in the vacuum so stop pushing. To make a long story short, they finally leave but leave their dirty rags from the demonstration all over my floor and there's dirt all over my carpet. My brother goes outside to tell him he forgot his rags, he says they are not his.

I say you brought them and used them with YOUR vacuum, it's your rag. He refused to pick it up, dropping the F bomb, my bro goes to give them to the guy, he refuses to take them, calling us names, his boss is cackling like a witch, pulling out his phone recording what was going on. This was not how this should have been handled. They were completely unprofessional, and I'll never buy a Kirby vacuum even if it was on clearance for a penny. I also called the cops after the rude bunch left so they were aware of what was happening. They also drove a red van with tinted windows. It just all in all was a very sketchy and out of control situation and I'm highly disappointed in the way the Kirby salesman acted, it was extremely immature and unprofessional. I'm also contacting the Better Business Bureau.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Danielle. We are very disappointed to hear about your experience you described below with an independent distributor. Please provide us with your contact information so we can pass it along to our Consumer Relations department to further investigate this situation. You may also call 1-800-494-8586. We take situations like yours very serious even though The Kirby Company is not a party to the agreements between the independent distributorships. We look forward to speaking with you. Thanks.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Salesperson pushes their way into house says they are out in the neighborhood giving free sample of washing detergent. I tell her I do not have time right now but before I could say another word the Kirby salesperson was in my house. I told him I did not have time and was not buying a vacuum cleaner. He then pulls all of the equipment out and starts the demo. I kept telling Nick that I was not buying a vacuum cleaner and then he starts talking about my husband saying he did not care about me, he is not a very good husband. I call that slander and I think my lawyer will call this slander. If anyone from this company comes back to this address I will call the law and my lawyer. Nick took my vacuum cleaner laid it down and pushed it out of the way. Very rude. Will never buy a vacuum even for 50 cents.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Nora, we are disappointed to hear about your experience with an independent salesperson. While The Kirby Company is not a party to the agreements between the salespeople that were in your home and the independent distributorships with which they affiliate, we take situations like yours serious. Please contact us at 1-800-494-8586 for further assistance and so we can further look into the situation with the distributor who was in your home. Thank you!

Kirby expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The Kirby Company is a division of the Scott Fetzer Company, which was founded in 1914. It is named after Jim Kirby, who designed the company's early vacuum cleaners.

• Scheduled demonstrations: Potential buyers can schedule demonstrations to help them decide whether they want to own Kirby vacuums.

• Useful tools: Kirby home care systems have tools that let them convert into everything from air pumps to carpet shampoo systems.

• Customer service: Kirby offers a wide range of customer services, including online how-to videos and phone support.

• Limited warranty: All Kirby vacuums come with three-year limited warranties.

• Maintenance services: Rebuild and maintenance services are available to lengthen the life of Kirby vacuums.

• Best for: Kirby's flexible vacuum system makes it useful for homeowners, renters, landlords and drivers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs