Kirby Vacuum Cleaners
1.91/5
Based on 69 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners

For nearly one-hundred years, The Kirby Company has manufactured superior, American-made home cleaning systems. Kirby does not sell directly to the public but continues a long tradition of distributing its home cleaning systems through independent distributors, who are responsible for running their own businesses. Over the years, this distribution system has afforded thousands of men and women the opportunity to live the American dream of owning and operating their own businesses.

Experience has taught us that customers prefer to try our premium cleaning systems in their own homes before purchasing. Customer satisfaction is our top priority. If customers have any questions or concerns regarding the in-home demonstrations of Kirby cleaning systems or the cleaning systems themselves, please email us at consumer@kirbywhq.com, or call us at 800-494-8586, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., EST.

FIND OUT MORE FIND OUT MORE
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 14, 2018

1563 Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I was contacted and told my number was given by a friend. The Kirby rep said I was qualified for a $75 dollar free cleaning. The rugs and sofas will be vacuumed. I agreed and had them come in the next day. They entered the house and immediately it was a sales pitch. Nothing about a cleaning. The salesperson bent my arm forcing me to sign up for this vacuum. I called them up the next day to get info on how to cancel the order and all I got was the runaround. Claiming a manager will call back but it was all a scheme to let the timeframe past so I couldn’t return it anymore. I feel like I was ripped off and got scammed. Don’t ever let these people in your house! Very poor customer service! No help from the Local distributor in the Bronx on Magenta Street.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Recently my wife and I purchased a Avalir/Kirby System from a couple that the lady showed up at our door. The lady asked if her and her husband could show us a vacuum and would only take a few minutes of our time. I told them I was on my way to work but the wife could see it. This couple said it would only take a moment (which took more than an hour) and would allow us to see the vacuum in action which the husband proceeded to take over. They said that if they sold it they would get "a trip to Colorado and they needed 15 sales to get the trip, and we would be the ones to make it fifteen"... as this was all they needed to qualify. That was lie number one... research online shows that is a line they use to get you to feel like you are helping a young couple to get a free vacation!

We allowed them to demonstrate the product in our living room and dining room. After seeing what a "horrible job our vacuum did" we were interested in what they were offering if the price was right. We were told that in purchasing a 20 year warranty, we would get everything we needed including any upgrades to the Kirby except any liquids ie, shampoo for carpet and hardwood floor cleaner and polish. Lie number two... the bags were never sent, although we have tried several times to reach them, and only get excuses from the salespeople (out of Texas Galveston area or so the area code says). We have been told that they are six bags for $10! No free bags here as stated!

We have tried to contact the individuals that sold the product to us, but only get a "song and dance" around why we haven't gotten to you, or why our phone no longer works". Finally reaching their supervisor we were told that he was in route to a meeting and would return the call at 2 pm. He hung up without taking our number! All I can say so far for this company is buyer beware and don't let them talk you into something you don't need or want to "help someone out". NEVER EVER let these con people into your home unless you can afford to be taken complete advantage of, with no way out!!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Totally unacceptable. The doorbell rang. I answered it. It was an energetic fellow saying he wanted to offer a free cleaning. I was skeptical, very skeptical. After reassuring me 10 times and pushing his way through I said ok. Made it clear to him I had to get back to work in 5 mins, he said no problem. Very shady and I suspect he was drunk or under the influence of drugs or both. After using my vacuum cleaner he said his buddy was coming. Before I could respond a thug barged into my house with a huge box. He said, "did he give you the run down?" I said, "I thought this was just a cleaning..." He said, "good" and left. Weird. Shady. The guy opens the box pulls out the vacuum and starts ** on my vacuum and bragging about how great his is. 15 mins in he's trying to clean my whole house. I don't have time for this. Thanks but no thanks. He doesn't listen.

He goes into my room after I said don't go in there. Tells me he a chemistry major and the reason I'm not getting good sleep is because I'm sleeping in dust mite feces and 2 pounds of my yellow skin I've been shedding... LOL. This guy really would make a good storyteller, because he could tell them for days it seemed. Half hour later, throwing these stupid white discs around my house with tiny bits of dust he told me he wanted to start shampooing. I said nope, no way, times up. He started giving me a sob story about how his poor dad has pancreatic cancer and he needs to sell the vacuum to support him... Really... This is a new low, pathetic. Then as he's packing up taking his sweet sweet time he makes a pretend phone to one of his Kirby buddies, probably from the video game lol. He said, "we want to start the new month off right, how about instead of $2,300.00 we discount it for an amazing one-time-offer for only $1,500.00" LOL.

Kirby was trying to rip me for $800.00. Wow this company is ripping everybody left and right. I said, "nope I'll just buy mine on eBay for $300.00, see ya later!" Then another guy walks in, says he's the general Kirby manager of Massachusetts like I'm supposed to bow before him. The guy doing the demo looked like he was his butler or slave. The guy says, nice house, tries to make small talk and asks me again if I wanted to buy. I had to try really hard to keep my composure from not bursting out in laughter. Most average Joe's don't have over $2,000 to drop on a vacuum to clean. I'm not Oprah so no, not interested, get away. Finally they left an hour later. This company is horrible. Do not trust them, do not let them in your house. They want to waste your time, that's all. These people need to do normal advertising for the 21st century like everybody else and leave people alone. Stay away from my home Kirby.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I love the Kirby. The only reason people ** about it is that they either don't pay their bills or buy from a scam artist conman whatever. It comes with a lifetime rebuild program. It's only 175$ to rebuild it completely which is way better than any other vacuum out there. They make you pay anywhere from 80$-$3500 for vacuum with no real warranty plus you have to pay for new vacuum in 2-3 years after you buy it including rainbows which lie about what they can really do. Vacuum companies get away with false advertisements by SAYING RIGHT ON THE FRONT, "VACS NEVER LOSES SUCTION." Funny ** NOT, and it leave so much dirt in your carpet. Plus if you have hardwood floors you either using a steamer or a swiffer or something like that.

Maybe you're still using a mop, by the way you're either messing up your floor or just spreading dirt around till you can't see it. And all of you peeps are sick lately and don't know why cause you're not CLEANING. Kirby has been around for 104 years. Spend ** tons of money improving their product to help clean and all of the dirt and micro dust cause you to get sick. And helping you breathe so you don't have to suffer. Yet people complain. I'm sorry maybe you should think about what really cleans your floors and furniture and THINK ABOUT HOW MUCH YOU WASTE ON ** THAT DOESN'T REALLY CLEAN. JUST LIES TO YOUR FACE.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I'd like to say it's not worth the price I'm paying, I'm in debt for just accepting that contract, I'll be honest at the time it sounded great; like everything else that gets talked up to be top shelf an affordable (Biggest lie ever). No one to blame but myself because I signed a contract to pay for a 12 in 1 vacuum cleaner. It sounds good people. Don't get me wrong but I have just only now been told they're not even popular and they really ain't. Majority feedback has been negative. It was shown to me how to use very easy, you also get a booklet and CDs. Oh they are available for extra cost... Not free. Anyways I also want to say seriously who has time to be changing all the little pieces to that vacuum cleaner. It also needs part to repair if they break (not cheap).

I know I don't have time to be switching and putting pieces together to build a vacuum cleaner when I have kids but it's okay. Like I said it's my own fault for falling for something that doesn't clean the floors properly. It blows the dust away. It takes me nearly over an hr maybe longer specially on carpet somehow to use it, compared to my cheap Kmart vacuum cleaner it works amazingly great. You get into all the corners and with a Kirby you cant because it's so massive. I understand there's another piece to connect to get into smaller areas but its just time consuming. Who wants to be twisting pieces left right and center. It's just crap for something that cost nearly $4000 is a ripoff.

I was lucky to get my price cut down to $3500 which is still a lotta money. The Kirby also steam mops the floor. OMG, to get a clean floor you have to do it at least 3 time. It leave wet strikes you cant get into small areas. There is no spare parts for getting into small areas unless you uses your own mop. The Kirby is terrible at Cleaning carpets. You can shampoo the floors over and over and they don't even pick up stains.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I absolutely detest this vacuum. It is awkward with the bag hanging off the side, cumbersome and doesn't turn corners well, complicated to use (engage the belt, set the height, put it in drive), changing attachments requires an engineering degree, there are way too many loose parts None of which are stored on the vacuum, it is the heaviest vacuum I've ever used, and it doesn't clean the floor well at all (my little Roomba does a better job than the Kirby vacuum). This vacuum won't save me money long term because the bags are so expensive.

The attachments do come in a storage bag, but they are way too complicated to set up and use. The shampoo attachment is next to worthless because the small capacity tank will only clean a few square feet before requiring the water to be changed. I was promised that the shampoo attachment would clean without leaving my carpet wet, however, it leaves the carpet soaked taking hours to dry. This is a terrible, poorly designed, overpriced vacuum. Don't waste your time or money on it.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I absolutely hate this vacuum! You have to take the whole front end off to then attach the hose. The salesman makes this look so easy, but trust me it is not! I got so fed up that my husband just left to go to Lowe's and buy me a Shark! I loved my Shark and wish I had never bought the Kirby! Now I'm out $1700 for a vacuum that will sit in the garage! Worst purchase I ever made! It's very heavy too and with my age and shoulder issues, just UGH!!!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

I know it sounds strange, when discussing a vacuum. I took the day off work to clean and had just vacuumed. I had just been ready to clean, yet again, a terrible cat stain on the old almost worn out carpet with a toxic cleaning solution of my own making because well, we are dealing with cat pee. Gross. When then I could hear my husband talking to someone in the garage. He was turning down this salesman when I peeked around the door on my hands and knees again! Cleaning a mess. It was a wonderful surprise to have someone, anyone offer to help me. This guy comes in, like the other reviews, and cleans. For three hours. Like anything I needed that involved cleaning. Cobwebs from the ceiling, the floor, I had just vacuumed, the kitchen floor, and last but not least that awful stain I’d been fighting for weeks.

All I can say is, I was never uncomfortable having this man in my home. But also, my 6’2” husband was home, busy cleaning in the garage. He was lovely and spent three hours cleaning my home. It would have cost me $350. To have the carpets cleaned once a year, another $350. I was going to replace my vacuum cleaner, a Shark, which I used once or twice a week for two years and was worn out. They gave me $400 credit towards the purchase of the Kirby. That’s double what I paid for it and it didn’t actually clean. I was so impressed by the work this machine did, I would have paid to send this guy on a cruise. Not only was my carpet clean, stain absolutely gone, but my husband was no longer complaining about the smell, priceless. My sanity was saved by a very, very expensive vacuum/carpet cleaner.

I might have purchased a Dyson though the reviews are terrible, and it’s expensive too. I would have had to spend no less than $1,000 for two machines to do the job this one does. I paid more, much more and I’ll tell you why. My mother owned a Kirby for 25 years. For 25 years she owned a heavy, reliable piece of equipment which was only a vacuum. I have to say, mine is better with the carpet cleaner. I can clean terrible embarrassing cat stains without robbing me of my sanity when the cat does it again. I know not everyone can afford such a luxury. Even with what I make it’s a lot. It’s almost unbelievable what I paid for this machine. But the awful, smelly embarrassing stain is gone on my old almost worn out carpet. My husband isn’t complaining, (a true Christmas miracle) and I have an amazing piece of equipment for life. But like I said the price is eye popping. If you purchase one, you won’t be disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Opened my door to a young girl and she came into my house talking about this vacuum that works wonders and is the best in business. I live in Baltimore, Maryland. She placed a call to her boss a guy called Ty and he came with the vacuum and some younger boy too. So the woman and the boss left my house and the boy was to do the demonstration and as he went ahead, he showed me how dirt's coming off my carpet. And then he went to clean my mattress and suddenly I noticed the vacuum has ripped and destroyed my mattress. At this point, I asked the guy to leave. He called his boss and all he can say is "ok" like wtf do you mean ok?! My normal vacuum could do a better job. Plllsss don't bother, it's not worth your time and money. Period!!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I have never seen a piece of machinery do so much. This product is amazing and worth every penny. Lifetime guarantee and I use it for everything. We are removing dust mites on our mattresses, improving the overall health of our home, cleaning our blinds, stairs, ceilings, Cars, removing lint from our clothes, blowing leaves off of our porch, using it on camping trips as an air pump, cleaning our furniture and carpet. I will never use a broom or crappy vacuum ever again. Kirby for Life.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

If I could I'd give more stars. The quality of a Kirby outstanding. I just gave way 2 Dysons, Hoover owner before that. If you’re serious about cleaning get a Kirby. I use my Kirby in the canister form, the cleaning power is so much more superior. The adjustable suction on the handheld in full capacity can pick up my gel kitchen mat. No more fighting with the awkward Dyson wand, I now have a wand that I can adjust and reach any part of my wall or ceiling not to mention the hose is extremely long reaches across my large kitchen. AND doesn't tip the vacuum over when trying to clean high areas. Yes, the attachments are not on board however the caddy can be set out for easily changing the wands and tools.

We have recently replaced our carpet with a hard surface. As a canister vacuum the Kirby is wonderful. I no longer need more than one vacuum and a carpet cleaner. Yes it’s heavy if you lift it but it glides wonderfully and doesn't get caught on the littlest object. The quality of materials used is worth it. I'm done with inferior plastic products that chip crack and need replacing often. Even the dusting tools are made so well. Yes I suppose bagless is more convenient but I can handle putting up with changing of bags in lieu of performance.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I was completely caught off guard by a vacuum being brought into my home. I answered the door (Irony- I was vacuuming at the time and my child told me someone was at the door as I couldn't hear the knock or doorbell.) anyways, I was greeted with a free bottle of Glade air freshener (who doesn't like free!!!), I was told that they were offering product and demonstrations in return for reviews (I am not the best at remembering and sometimes like to just hear what I want and not ask further questions as I was to have once again confirmed for me, in a good way). It was freezing out so I immediately asked if he would like to come in. He said, "Yes, just let me go grab my stuff." I almost slapped myself, but instead took a deep breath and tried to remember that I was raised better than to just, kick someone out because they were trying to do their job.

I was so glad that I had invited him in when I saw Kirby on the box. Not that I thought I would actually purchase one myself, it brought me back to lugging my grandma's vacuum up and down the stairs, dealing with so many attachments, being taught as a child about how to work the ins and outs of it. Back then all I cared about was this is too difficult. Not that the weight would undoubtedly equal better durability/ quality, or that there were so many attachments that it could do anything... anything, and you didn't need to also buy this and that to other stuff around the home. It was all in one.

My husband came home about an hour into the demonstrations and explanations (The guy was working his bottom off and not wasting time fyi). I had already told the salesperson that the probability of us buying was less than 1%. Not due to us not liking it but due to the fact that it was literally 5 days before Christmas and I'd just done a surprise purchase with a puppy. So we also had to buy everything for the puppy before we were to pick him up and plan out future very bills. The salesman did not miss a beat though. Even knowing he wasn't going to make a sale he still continued with the same energy as before. Explained in depth to my husband what he had already explained to me. He was extremely efficient, never wasted a breath, was fast talking, luckily both my husband and I are used to that and he would ask if we understood afterward to clarify for himself that we were not misunderstanding.

Lo and behold we are now owners of a Kirby with all the fixings (all of them) plus they are 15lbs lighter than my grandma's days but still come with the lifetime warranty, for an extremely reasonable price (Less than what my grandma paid for hers). They even bought our other two vacuums off us (one was the kid's vacuum, a Shark, as I was tired of having to declog vacuums if I asked them to vacuum). I'm a person that enjoys cleaning and knowing things are clean. I'm so excited for the kids to go to school tomorrow so I can play!!!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Yesterday about mid morning I opened the door to a man holding a card showing different cleaning services such as tile and carpet cleaning. He said he would like to do a demonstration on one room in the hope that we would consider using his services in the future instead of Mr Steamer. As I had one carpet that I had been thinking I would replace as my husband's ex housemate had left it so dirty, and as I was also thinking of getting a deep clean on the tiles, I agreed. I actually thought I would be getting a 'patch test' clean but that was okay. It would give me an idea if getting the carpet fully cleaned would be worthwhile. So I agreed.

The man, whom I have now learned was her Kirby supervisor then called a young woman over and she came into the house with a box, asked to see the room and unpacked the box asking me if I had heard of Kirby. Well I had, many years ago, in the UK, and while the vacuum had been efficient it had also been very heavy and very expensive. After a couple of minutes of vacuuming the carpet the young lady asked me to look at some little pads with dust and dirt on them and explained that in addition to the cleaning she was doing a Kirby demo. I told her at this point that I would NOT be considering buying as I was new to the country and was just about to start my new job.

Melinda told me several times about the holiday she was in line for if she sold enough products. As someone who has worked in sales I was almost amused by the sales chat. I will add she was never bullying or unpleasant. She is a lovely girl and at times even seemed like there was a bit of pressure on her. She worked her SOCKS off cleaning not just the carpet in that room, which between vacuuming and shampooing she has got to a condition where I am now keeping it, but also showing me various other features of the machine. I was impressed with things like the flexibility of the hose and the power of the suction. I also love the variety of height changes from carpet to hard floor.

I had been going to buy a new vacuum. Most likely the Dyson Pet, as the one I had was completely rubbish. However I was also going to buy a carpet washer and floor mop, and the Kirby does all of this. I did some thinking and calculating and some online research. I had also been looking to take some finance if possible to give me a credit rating in the USA. The young lady had also given me information on the guarantee. I compared this with what I had read online for reconditioned models and it looked far better. I found reconditioned models for around $800-$1000. I decided to buy the vacuum with the full guarantee. My husband had to go in as second buyer on this.

We got the price down from the $1782 before tax to $1600 before tax. The interest rate on the finance was bad but we were told that if we paid it off early we would only be charged for the time we had had the finance. In the last stages of the purchase we were told that this was not certain. The finance company said that we might pay less depending on how long we kept the finance and the possibility of early repayment penalties. I considered backing out at that point but the young lady looked so earnest and from the calls she had been having with her boss, I felt I could not (Yes I guilt tripped a bit). This was MY choice at this stage though.

However, when she was going over the guarantee again I have found that the 'bumper to bumper' only lasts three years and there is a cost for any rebuild, currently about $140, which will go up with inflation. The purchasable guarantee on the reconditioned at Walmart was $89.99 for 5 years total. I awakened this morning almost ready to exercise my right to cancel but did not, for 3 reasons. I could not do that to my young salesgirl. I KNOW it would reflect badly on her (Yes some people could think me stupid for this, but I have been in sales jobs with pressured targets). I actually LIKE the machine and think I will get very good use from it. I don't know what effect it would have on my attempts to build a credit history.

However I did spend the night reflecting on the fact that I had been deceived into letting someone into my house and I am DAMNED angry at the supervisor and myself for that. I also am well aware now that the guarantee is NOT what you are led to believe at the beginning of the sales pitch. Also, from something the salesgirl said, I believe that the club med trip she was trying to win may also have been another deceit, designed to stir sympathy in a customer. Also in looking at Kirby's own website, they seem to distance themselves from the distributor and the customer, although I may be misreading that. All in, I am now pretty sure people looking to buy a Kirby MIGHT be better just buying reconditioned with a purchased guarantee from somewhere like Walmart.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

We bought our Kirby vacuum when they came to demonstrate. We were told we would be getting some free bags, which we never got, and that we would have a warranty if something went wrong. This vacuum is the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned. It wouldn't run after 7 months. We called Kirby and they told us that we would have to pay to have it fixed. We paid over $3,000 For this vacuum and it didn't even last a year! They didn't care at all! NEVER AGAIN!!! Stick with one you can get from Wal-Mart. They work better and don't cost as much.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

Sighs. Where did I go wrong? Last year, at 12: AM. 2 guys knocked on me and my girlfriend's door. They said, "Can we show you the Kirby vacuum?" Well, I said, "No... I'm okay sorry." One guy kept saying, "Look, ma'am! It will work, you have so much dirt no other vacuum would clean. Please, let us in!" I said again, curious, "Look, Sir I don't want anything to do with what you're selling. Good day!" As I was trying to slam the door, the 2 guys walked in... And said "Okay, let's unbox this machine." I got really mad. I said "Sir, this is MY house. MY property. I paid for this land... Get out of my house or I'll call the police for trespassing." He immediately said "No, no. It's okay! Do not call them you **, I mean, you don't wanna do this is a very very nice tool."

My girlfriend said "Fine. Show us your good "Item"." He used some of the pads and placed them by my kitchen carpet. And, poured water and soap "Kirby special soap at the matter" on the floor and on the pad. I swear I was gonna be mad and say, "What a mess, you're not good." But no, I just watched. Apparently it worked, very well. Still mad that I have to clean up the soap and mess. "Alright," I said. The guy started looking around my house looking for, "A broom." Me and my girlfriend were very uncomfortable. I said "S-Sir, please stop! I'll get the broom myself." Nope, he ignored me and kept looking. Finally, I called the police and kicked him out.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

My husband and I bought a Kirby 3 years ago... My complaint to the salesmen was our current vacuum leaves the room smelling like dog. After a few months with Kirby it started doing the exact same thing. The bags fill up too quick and we have never been able to actually get the shampoo cleaner to work. Today I had a Kirby salesman come in. I made it clear that I was not interested but they ''get paid just to clean a room'' even without a sale. Also he stated they will give me vacuum bags and a new belt. So I allowed them in.

He went over the sales pitch as usual and kept pushing the sale. I kept explaining that I was not interested. He then cleaned the room while his partner watched TV. He also stated that they were two sales away from winning a trip. Basically trying to guilt trip me. Trying to knock down the price more etc... They finally left without giving me the belt and bags. But a few hrs later came back with a supervisor with an even lower price etc... I politely declined and from this day forward no Kirby person will be allowed back in my house. I don't liked to be guilt tripped and pushed into something that I don't want to buy.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

First and foremost, I really think there should be a time cut-off for any door-to-door salesmen. I understand that this is a way of life or, at best, a job "to get by" for some people. I can respect anyone who most likely gets more doors slammed in their face than parents of angsty teenagers. That being said, the following is a not so brief account of my Kirby experience. The young man was very nice. He was professional and polite. However, when he came up to my porch, he offered me a "free gift" and said he had a "product" called the "Avalir" that he wanted to demonstrate. Before I knew it, he was coming into my house even though I was reluctant to let him in.

He walked to my living room and set his magic box down. Before he opened it, I specifically said, "We do not have any money and we do not have good enough credit to finance anything." He said something along the lines of, "That's ok, we won't need any money from you today." He proceeded with his demo and was very good at pitching the vacuum and comparing it to our old one. He did prove, at least to our eyes, that the Kirby does seem to work very well. The suction power comparison alone is what did it for me. Now, I have known people who have owned various Kirby models and I know they are good.

Fast forward to the end of the demo and now we are finally talking money. The ENTIRE time he was doing his demo (he did it very well might I add), I told him that literally today was my first day on my job. My boyfriend has his first day on the job tomorrow. Neither one of us have remotely good credit. I really don't want a company to try to run my credit and it not go through or get approved and then have that negative outcome drag it down even more. But, I gave it a shot.

What to my wondering ears did I hear? A big, fat NO THANKS from the Kirby people. Then our fearless demonstrator says, "Well, l can call my boss and see if there is something else we can do." So, he steps outside and talks to his boss. He returns and says, "I'm sorry. There is nothing we can do." My "I told you that it wasn't going to work before you even took that thing out of the box" face was probably a mix between being upset, being sad and being embarrassed. Being embarrassed is not something I am comfortable with at ALL. I told him that all of our bills are due and we literally have $0.00 in the bank. We literally have NO credit cards. We literally, honestly, truthfully have BAD credit. All of these things that I kept repeating were not being listened to.

I understand it is their job to put pressure on people, but after he found out from his boss that there was absolutely nothing they could do to get the vacuum for us, his demeanor completely changed. This once happy, chatty, high-fiving young man suddenly became quiet. He very quietly packed his things up. The whole experience was irritating (because I knew we couldn't afford nor be financed for the vacuum), it was embarrassing and it was almost 2 hours of my life that I'll never get back.

The "deal" we were offered started out at $2298 with an upfront total purchase price -or- $808 down and $248 a month. THEN I say (for the hundredth time) that we absolutely cannot afford that. THEN he says, "Let me see what I can do." So, our next deal is $1700 with 0 down and 36 months of $70 payments. We say we could probably afford that but we still won't get it due to our credit history. In the end, it did not work for either of us. Seriously. In all fairness, I warned him before he opened the box. I told him I couldn't afford it.

What is the moral of the story? I will be putting a "No Soliciting" sign on my door. Side note: Congratulations if you've read this entire thing. He was very well trained. He was very nice until his mood shifted at the end. Also, you can get a refurbished model of the same exact item for around $800 if you do your research without having to go through all of that.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

When I let the distributors in home the gentleman that did the cleaning was very nice. However for the sales guy was very pushy about getting me to buy the vacuum to where he kept lowering the price and then when I received info on payments I was shocked to see that I was not paying the price I was told and that they didn't give me credit for the vacuum I traded in and now I can even use it because mice chewed through the bags.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Can't believe this company is still in business. While the basic product itself isn't bad if someone is looking for a very heavy vacuum that does have a lot of suction power. Would be worth maybe 159$. But that is where it ends. Their basic business model is use high pressure... take no for an answer door to door sales. Do anything to get in the door. Then they use what they call dirt pads... the more dirty pads they show you the better for them. Looks impressive, but believe me, any decent vacuum would show same results.

One of their claims is they eliminate the middleman by selling door to door... wrong. The poor guy doing the demo is low man. He does the demo, then the closer comes in. He or she is the high pressure sales person. He or she is the distributor who works for a wholesaler, or in turn works for regional wholesaler. Each one taking a cut. While the wholesale prices are somewhat set, the salespeople have a set cost, and can charge as much as they can get to the consumer. I'm sure the figures aren't exact and don't claim to know the exact details. But I sold these things for about a year, and felt guilty to anyone who ever bought one. The manufacture cost is about 79$, the regional wholesale price is about 160$, so far, that's pretty standard. But then it starts to get crazy. The wholesale price is around 350$.

The wholesaler go out and hire as many people as they can get to do the door to door. Knowing that 95% won't make a dime. But maybe get lucky and find one or two people who can do the high pressure. The people at your house can literally charge whatever they can get. Sometimes start out as high as 3000$, then when they cut down to 2000$ some uneducated people think, get I must be getting a deal. I've seen them sold for anywhere between 600$ up to one poor old lady paid 2400$ for a vacuum she couldn't lift. Have been to a few regional meetings for this company... it's like a pep rally. Sell sell sell... doesn't matter who or how much... just hope someone someday puts this company out of business. They are like vultures.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Yesterday afternoon my doorbell rang and usually I don't answer unless I'm expecting someone but I answered and regretted it. They told me they were a cleaning service and wanted to do a demo so I thought why not. I wanted my rugs done so I thought it couldn't hurt. Well I was lied to. They came into my home with this big vacuum and did the demo. The girl who did the demo was great and did a good job. But I was surprised to find out it cost $3,000. I then told her I would not be buying their vacuum. After all that's what they were selling not a cleaning service.

I had already explained I'm currently looking for work and my husband is on disability. This was way out of budget for us. She said, "What about financing". I said, "I can't. I don't have good enough credit and really didn't want to run a credit check because it ruins your credit", she said, "It won't. I said, "Sorry not taking the chance and I don't have the money for payments". She said, "What if I pushed them back 5 months." I said, "How do I know I'll be working in five months. If I'm not then I end up screwed." She finally after 2 hours got it and left. By the way this was false representation. They lied about who they are just to get into your house to sell you an insanely overpriced vacuum.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

To Michelle of Mansfield: Are you the original owner of your Kirby? If you have your original receipt showing that you are, you can return your Kirby to the factory for a rebuild for $42.50 (according to my warranty and instruction book) plus the cost of any broken parts that are not part of normal wear and tear. I have had mine rebuilt 3 times. Shipping was cheaper years ago but it is still the best deal going if you love your Kirby like I do! In 2001 it cost me $68 ($17. in additional charges for a broken part). In 2009 it cost me $13.66 ($48.30 in additional charges for broken parts). In 1985 it cost me $73.90 ($22. in additional charges for broken parts). I originally purchased my Kirby in 1973. Not bad for 44 years. If you have your Kirby warranty and instruction book, your serial # and date of purchase should be in it. I don't know if that will do it but you can call and speak to someone at 216-433-7797. Best to you!!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

My Kirby is 10-month-old and I already start to have problems with it. The shampoo adapter doesn’t work, and every time I turn on the vacuum smoke comes out of it. I have call the distribution center and their phone number come up disconnected. I found another distribution center close to my house. However, they don’t answer the phone. I call the technical assistance number and they told me that they cannot help me. In other words, it has to be throughout their distribution centers. Please don’t purchase this product. It’s not worth it. They are good knocking at your door to sell you the product. However, when it comes to the warranty they don’t even answer the phone.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

When we purchased our Kirby, we were given a $250 trade in as our old vacuum we traded in was expensive. We noticed instead of giving us CREDIT for the trade in they ACTUALLY added it to the balance of our LOAN!!! What a joke!! Vacuum eats belts, was told we would only use 1 bag a year. LOL. We are on our 4th. LOL. They are all liars.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I was lied to when I bought my Kirby, and just found out it's not a lifetime warranty. Also, I haven't seen a bill since I bought the vacuum cleaner in 2015. The hose broke under the cap, and they're telling me I have to take it somewhere to have it fixed. When I was being pushed into buying the vacuum cleaner one of their pitches is that there were no Kirby stores, and I would only receive this offer that day in my home.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Do not let sales people push their way into your door... or even on your property. You will be sorry if you have warranty problems or even a simple replacement, plus not given any consideration to working out a agreement to make everyone happy. They do want to be bothered after they take your money and done. And said they would leave extra cleaning shampoo only to find flooring shiner instead, in a rental home with carpeting.

If you purchase one I wish you luck and hope you have better time and experience with this product and do not think of complaining, asking for the box or give them your other vacuum, you will wish to have back. Prepare yourself. And I was still being courteous, yet was given an attitude. I guess the company does not have salespeople give you a clear explanation of warranty because they do not follow it anyway. And if I called a day late when told lifetime warranty well then I guess I am wrong. Other companies have more courtesy and considerations. Win some and lose some, I am in no position to win with my health issues. I give up. No energy. Just a warning.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

14 years ago (2003) I bought the Kirby Ultimate G diamond along with pet and shampoo attachments. The only problems I have ever had were from regular wear and tear. I vacuum everyday sometimes twice. It is heavy to take up and down the stairs. I don't use the shampoo component, it never worked right - maybe I did it wrong. No other vacuums I have ever used clean like my Kirby. I also have the Dyson ball (bagless, purple, pet). Hated it from the first time I used it. I purchased it because my Kirby was getting old and I had heard great things about the Dyson. Guess what - it's on a closet now and I am back to my Kirby. I would like a new Kirby now though since mine is so old.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

The carpet cleaning unit does not work. I found this out after taking 1/2 day to put it together. Now I have to pay $1000.00 for something I can't use because it over the 3 day period and the contractor JD & Associates phone number is no longer a working number so I can't get this issue resolved.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Had two Kirby salesmen come to my door around 2pm and asked if I ever heard of Kirby and I said no. That's when he waved to the other guy to go to his van. I thought they were going to give me information papers on it or something, HELL NO. The dude came back with this huge box and I'm like oh god, I knew right then what they were. But I'm nice so I let them demonstrate. And I liked it but I told them repeatedly I don't have any money. But they would not take no for an answer. They refused to leave, kept talking in their pushy salesperson talk. It's now around 6 or so when my husband got home from work, and they started on him. I walked away. They didn't leave until 8pm. Which was 6 ** hours. To me that is just ridiculous. I hate that kind of people. Never again.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Don't get me wrong. I like my Avalir, I was given almost every attachment available, except the grout brush and the shining/polishing brush. But this van pulls up while I have two attack dog out to use the restroom. I'm in Kansas, we can't own Pitts in certain cities, so I have Merle American Bulldogs. 2 females... very protective of me (on purpose). Anyway my dogs don't like people of race. Idk why, they don't like uniforms or strangers, so I'm outside and this young ** boy asks me if I want some tide pods...

Well heck yeah, I'm on a budget and could use those pods right now. Then I turn around and some lil bitty ** dude was coming into my home dog and all, I had to kennel my girls because they felt threatened. Well he starts blabbing and showing all this dirt, well yeah I have 3 very large dogs, he says, "Oh this attachment is for fleas and ticks lol it to clean your rugs in your car," then proceeds to tell me he needs this sell so he can go to Hawaii...

He wanted 3500$ I said, "Naw man. I'm in enough debt." He proceeds to show me all the 86 things this thing does, now I'm impressed by the vacuum, I did buy it but only for 1880$ with payments. The unit was brand new all in plastic, but the problem is every time I use it, it's like a Harley. I gotta work on it... the sales dude lied and said I had a daycare and made 2000$ a week, cash.

I am a stay at home mom and fighting for disability, him using my social for "credit" not a loan!, that can cost me my lawsuit by lying about my social security number and money I don't make, but yet they approved me... with a co signer lol like it's a car... your salesmen suck. Oh and to top it off my husband asks how do I know you're not some con, he hands my husband an inmate id and his social, I'm glad it's open carry here. I stayed protected!! Never again Kirby, never again, and p.s. Your salesman was smoking ** in my yard with children there... Ridiculous.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Kirby is only as good as their distributors. I purchased a Kirby vacuum May 15, 2017 through Teho Inc. in West Chicago, IL. I called to cancel my order on May 18, 2017. Teho Inc., did not pick up the vacuum until June 7th. It is now October 10th and I have not received my money back. What's more is that Teho Inc. has changed all of its phone numbers. I contacted Kirby when I could not reach Teho Inc. I was assured by a Consumer Relations Senior Specialist that I will receive a full refund. I received a letter from Kirby on August 18, saying that they were advised that the matter that was brought to their attention has been resolved to my satisfaction. I called and told them that, "no I have not received a refund and I am not satisfied." I was told that the money was going through a third party. Even if I receive a refund for the vacuum I am still out the interest I am paying each month on my credit card.

Kirby expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The Kirby Company is a division of the Scott Fetzer Company, which was founded in 1914. It is named after Jim Kirby, who designed the company's early vacuum cleaners.

• Scheduled demonstrations: Potential buyers can schedule demonstrations to help them decide whether they want to own Kirby vacuums.

• Useful tools: Kirby home care systems have tools that let them convert into everything from air pumps to carpet shampoo systems.

• Customer service: Kirby offers a wide range of customer services, including online how-to videos and phone support.

• Limited warranty: All Kirby vacuums come with three-year limited warranties.

• Maintenance services: Rebuild and maintenance services are available to lengthen the life of Kirby vacuums.

• Best for: Kirby's flexible vacuum system makes it useful for homeowners, renters, landlords and drivers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

www.kirby.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use