1.85/5

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

For nearly one-hundred years, The Kirby Company has manufactured superior, American-made home cleaning systems. Kirby does not sell directly to the public but continues a long tradition of distributing its home cleaning systems through independent distributors, who are responsible for running their own businesses. Over the years, this distribution system has afforded thousands of men and women the opportunity to live the American dream of owning and operating their own businesses.

Experience has taught us that customers prefer to try our premium cleaning systems in their own homes before purchasing. Customer satisfaction is our top priority. If customers have any questions or concerns regarding the in-home demonstrations of Kirby cleaning systems or the cleaning systems themselves, please email us at consumer@kirbywhq.com, or call us at 800-494-8586, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., EST.

View More View More

1708 Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 18, 2019

After reading other reviews about the Kirby company I was so happy I didn't fall for misleading sale pitch at the end. It was a Sunday, my husband and I was relaxing watching TV. A lady knocked on the door and promised that she wasn't here to sell anything. She was an intern and needed to ask some questions about Glade air freshener. I'm not sure why I opened the door but next thing I know she was in my house.

She says, "We're just going to show you something and at the end you tell us a yes or no..." Ok. Well here comes a guy with this damn vacuum... says he wants to clean our floors. Um ok, knock yourself out. HE WAS HERE FOR 5 HOURS! Our only day we have together as a family, and he would not leave! My husband left and stayed in the bedroom throughout presentation after the gentleman won't take no for an answer. He told me all this awesome stuff this vacuum can do and "how dirty my house is" "you don't want your family breathing this stuff in" making me feel like my housekeeping was a failure. I told the gentleman we really couldn't afford it and I couldn't justify to my husband spending that much on something like this. Well he got down to $40.00 per month full cost $999. I didn't buy vacuum and I'm so happy especially after reading all the the reviews. Please don't let anyone from this company in your home.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Salesman stayed at my house way too long but of course it was to break me down. I bought the machine months ago and have only used it twice. I hate it and of course now I'm stuck with it. Way too much work in switching everything around. Complete buyers remorse! Should never have let him in my house and definitely should not have let him take my reliable Hoover. This machine is extremely heavy and does not have the ease of use the salesman said it does. I can't say enough how angry I am with myself that I paid so much money for something I'll never use. Of course I can't return it since it's longer than 3 days so I am stuck with it.

Get expert buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 13, 2019

This is long... But so was my stupid meeting with this man. First off, I want to preface that I did NOT purchase a Kirby vacuum, but I had a less than comfortable experience with the salesman that came to my door. Not less that 10 minutes after I got home from work, I got a knock on my door and it was a woman. She asked me how I was doing, told me her name and that she was asking neighbors questions. She asked if I have received a gift today and handed me a trial size of hand sanitizer. I took it and she immediately walked out of my door, saying she was going to let her boss know that I was willing to talk to them. I was confused, but continued. She came back with a gentleman that had two large boxes. They both walked in and the woman said that she was going to let him talk to me because he was much better at it. Okayyy, whatever I guess.

So he starts unboxing and asking if I have heard of Kirby, I say yes I have somewhere but cannot recall where. He explains how long they have been around, asks me what kind of vacuum I have and continues on about his "demo". Mind you, I had no idea this was going to happen, they just sort of rushed me, but it was my fault for letting them in.

He makes a lot of small talk while taking all of these pieces out and assembling them. Speaking to my 5 year old son, talking about and showing me pictures of his daughter, asking what I do for work and saying he was in the military and had been overseas, blah blah... So he finally gets it all put together and has me use my vacuum then goes over it with his. I kid you not... This man vacuumed just about everything he could! Hardwood, carpet, ceiling, bed, pillow, stairs, windows, drapes, blinds, lightbulbs... Talked to me about shampooing, cleaning and waxing my car, being a snow and leaf blower, HE SAID IT ALL!

We finally get to talking about the price and he starts off with saying it would be $61/month for 36 months. I do some math and realize that is almost $2200 (that is after I get the military discount and am not nor do I know anyone in it, the police discount and am definitely not affiliated with police, the homeowner discount which I told him I am renting, as well as discounted for turning my other vacuum in). I'll admit, it was an impressive piece of equipment... But that much for a vacuum just did not sit well with me. He then said he could get it lowered three to four different times. I told him that I wanted to talk to my boyfriend before making that large of a purchase. He asked who does the cleaning me or him, who would pay for it me or him, and just made me quite uncomfortable.

After TWO HOURS, I finally got him out of my house and let him know my boyfriend would be home in about an hour (which I lied about) and I would talk to him and give him a call. He even offered to wait on my porch... How nice of him... NOT! I was finally able to relax after a long day of work (or so I thought), and got in the shower. AS SOON AS I got out, he was knocking at my door again, saying his boss lowered the price and didn't want me to miss this because he just really doesn't want me using my old one anymore and it's a great deal. I told him, again, I wanted to wait. He said when will my BF be back, I said I don't know. I also told him that I wanted to research the reviews and would call him when I could purchase, even if it means I miss the deal.

Another 30 mins goes by and he is KNOCKING AT MY DOOR AGAIN saying they lowered the offer even more. He said I could just start the paperwork so that I do not miss the deal, and decide upon it later. Plus, there was a two week return policy. I was intrigued, I admit. So I mistakenly let him in again to talk through his offer. First thing he said when he sat down was... "So I just want to make sure you are ready because once you sign here, it is yours and you own it." I said, "Sooo I don't have time to think about it?" He said no. Not sure what changed in those three seconds, smh! He also said he wanted to check on the return policy to make sure it was two weeks. Lord.

He "calls" his "boss" to talk through what they can do for me and the final offer they presented me was the full price would be $1099. He was literally repeating what someone on the phone said, verbatim, pausing after every 2-3 words. It was so awkward. At this point, I am getting online and checking reviews and he is still talking and asking me questions... He repeats whatever I say back to the OZ on the phone and comes back with another choppy response. I am absolutely not buying at this point. He asks what I am looking for online and I tell him reviews, prices, etc. He tells me that if I find any online it is likely stolen. LOL, right.

I start standing up to try to get him out and he is still sitting down... I tell him I need to wait for my BF to see this if I am going to be paying $1100 and he still tries to weasel me into it! I want him GONE. I finally get him out after another 45 minutes and he said he will come back in a half hour. I said NO, I will give you a call. I think he must have known I saw something I did not like online, because he finally left me alone. If he comes back today, I am going to have my 6'5" 250lb boyfriend give him a large piece of his mind! This is NOT okay for them to keep doing, especially after he assured me he was not trying to pressure me to buy and gets paid for the demo. I am SO glad I did not buy this, and I may just go and get me a very nice $200 vacuum just because. :)

Original review: March 13, 2019

Two days ago, I answered a knock on my door. He introduced himself and said he was cleaning carpets in the area. He said he would like to clean a carpet for me at no charge. I asked if he was from a carpet cleaning company and he said no. He's from Kirby. He practically begged me to let him in to clean my carpet. He said he gets paid for every carpet he cleans and that I would be helping him to earn a paycheck. He promised no sales pitches. I showed him the 3 x 5 carpet I wanted cleaned. My first mistake was allowing him in my home. Trying to get him out was another completely different story. I told him straight out I wasn't buying. I said I need a vacuum cleaner but in no way am I buying one on the spot with researching it. He continued to take each piece out, explain its purpose, connect it to the device, etc. I had a price of $495 in mind. That was the most I was going to spend on a new vacuum cleaner.

When he told me this machine was $2,000.00, I think I laughed. Then during the demonstration he kept talking about how the company was going to send him to Anaheim to Disneyland if he sold six units. And of course he sold five. So, I would be his sixth unit. I said I am sorry. I am saving to take my grandchildren there as well. If I purchase this I may never get there. So, he runs the figures. The price drops to $1499.00 plus taxes. I think I laughed again. He then dropped some salt on a box and placed another box over the salt and used the vacuum cleaner to suck the salt up. He used different filters. He knew what to use a black filter on vs his white filter. Whether demonstrating on a hardwood floor, carpet, or walls and vents. I told him I wasn't buying the unit.

Now the hard sell comes. "Can you afford $1.00 day," he asked me. I said, "Most certainly." He said he could finance it over several years so it wouldn't cost me more than $1 a day. I said it would upset me to see a bill for a very expensive item come in month after month and year after year. I have enough to deal with seeing my mortgage payment. Again, he runs the figures. Now I see him eyeing things in my house. He liked a painting, a statue, etc. He offered to reduce the price further if I would part with some of my treasures. If I purchase this unit right now, not tomorrow, but right now, he can sell me this demo model for $1299.00. Minus my paintings, a figurine, etc.

By the way, I was promised a lifetime guarantee; that Kirby supposedly stands by their product (which from what I researched is false). (I still have my hoover canister which is now 20 years old and never had a problem with it; I think I paid about $249 at the time). I told him I was happy with my Hoover. Well now he offered to reduce the price again if I traded in my hoover. I saw his face getting red in anger that I wasn't buying this unit. I felt his tactics getting more aggressive with his comments. His final pitch was that I'd get the Avalir with all the extras for only $908.00. And, he would get his trip to Disneyland. A win-win for both of us!

Not so fast! I said, "Does that price say $495.00." If I were to purchase a new vacuum, that would be all I would budget for and at that price it would have to cook me dinner. So he cleaned the carpet he had been standing on; NOT the one I asked him to clean, and continued. Now he asked me, why won't I buy this? Why won't I buy this unit and help him get to Disneyland. Pressuring me by saying things like, "You really never intended to buy this unit. (I told him straight out I wasn't buying it). Why? I said I am saving for a trip for my family to take to Disney. If I buy this it will just set me back that much more.

He finally finished his demo of this Avalir. Four hours of my life was wasted putting up with this bullying, guilt-tripping, aggressive sales pitching pressure. FOUR HOURS! It took him five minutes to run that machine over the carpet he was standing on. Ultimately, I did not give in to his bullying me. Do NOT let these people in your home. Go to Craigslist. All the unhappy buyers there are unloading them for under a hundred bucks.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Contacting and flirting wife after sale. This group from Maryland came to our home. During the sale my wife contacted me (I work out of town). She needed a new vacuum and so I said sure. Well about three weeks later Mike one of the sales reps contact my wife and asked her to call him some time to chat. She of course thought it would be the lie by but no he wanted to see her again. She said no. So he started texting her selfies and such. Very unprofessional. Don't let these people in your house.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby?

Original review: March 1, 2019

My mother had a Kirby sales person come to her door in a neighborhood where solicitation is strictly prohibited. That didn’t stop them. They sold her a Kirby for over $800 more than the price I could find the same one for online with all of the same attachments. We had to file a small claims lawsuit against the company selling them to get them to negotiate with us and refund $600 of the $1400 they charged for the vacuum and shampoo attachments but we had to return those attachments. If Kirby comes to your home, they are trained to be extremely pushy and will try to rip you off. You should threaten to call the police if they won’t leave your property the first time you ask them to.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I got a phone call from Bright and Shiny saying that they will come out and clean my carpet for free. I asked if they were selling anything because I was not going to be buying anything. The lady on the phone stated, "No. It is just to get their company out there by word of mouth," a young man came out and I told him if you're selling something you might as well leave because I'm not buying anything. The gentleman said, "No. Just here to clean your carpets," then I see him bring this vacuum out and I was like great here we go. Long story short he did his demo. I said no I'm not buying anything then his manager comes into my house and bullies me for 2 hours till my husband finally caves and gets it and we have only used it 4 times. It does not vacuum it. The belt is always burning and I have gone through 4 belts. DON'T BUY A KIRBY.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

My story is similar to many others. A woman knocked on the door saying she was in college and had partnered with a new cleaning company to get money for school. (She said she received money for each demonstration she scheduled.) She said the company was just looking for exposure and an opportunity to demonstrate their cleaning services, and they would clean 2 rooms for free. I let her in, and she called a group of men to come to my house to demonstrate the vacuum. I'm going to do a lot of fast forwarding here, because they were at my house for over 3 hours. Long story short, after a lot of pressure, lies, and false advertising, I decided to buy the Avalir 2.

After using it just once and reading the owners manual, I realized I had made a mistake. Many of the features were falsely advertised during the demonstration, and I asked a lot of questions that were answered with blatant lies to get me to buy the vacuum. The vacuum has a limited 3 year warranty, not a lifetime warranty as I was told. One of the features I was interested in was being able to shampoo furniture. After reading the manual, I discovered that in order to shampoo furniture, you just spray cleaner all over it and then vacuum it once it's dry. Not exactly what I had in mind.

I was also interested in the blower feature, as I planned to use it to clean my garage. After reading the manual, I discovered the blowing feature can only be used for 60 seconds at a time and using it longer than that voids the warranty. Not as convenient as advertised. The carpet shampoo seemed to remove embedded pet smell from my carpets, but after about 2 days the perfume wore off and I realized the smell had only been masked, not removed. I thought having one machine to do it all would be more convenient, but it's actually more convenient to have multiple machines and just grab the one you need rather than having to switch out attachments.

Luckily, I was able to return the vacuum within the 3 day return window. The vacuum was picked up, but my vacuum they took for a trade-in was not returned. I have been assured that I will not be charged, but with how many lies I have been told by this company I'm not very confident that's true. In the end, I felt very uncomfortable with the sales tactics used, and I wasn't thrilled with the vacuum itself either. My old one was much easier to use, and I don't actually care if it leaves some dirt behind.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I had a knock on my door late last night by a Kirby salesman who said, "I’m here to Scotchgard your new carpet. It’s already been paid for." So since I bought a brand new home I assumed maybe it was part of what the builder does for you so I let him in at that point. He drags out this Kirby vacuum cleaner and said, "Have you ever heard of Kirby," and I said, "If I don’t known it was for Kirby I would not of let you in. I thought that the builders had sent you here." I told him I was not interested in the vacuum cleaner and he persisted on showing me this new 2019 model. He said only take 20 minutes to do that.

After telling him several times I did not want the vacuum he still proceeded to do his little demonstration on top of that he put his hose, his shampoos, his box and all his accessories to the vacuum on my brand new couch! I moved it off of my couch and set it on top of his Kirby box he proceeded to ask me personal questions where I live who’s in the military because he obviously saw the stickers on my car telling me he had military discounts, new homeowner discounts on anon, complemented me about my bedroom set and wanted to know if I was a single parent. It was all very personal and very unnerving.

I could not get that man out of my house fast enough. I cannot stand the pressure tactics. He also said to help him out because he was trying to win a trip Kirby may be a good vacuum cleaner but it’s not worth $3000 and then he tells me that he can turn in my other new vacuum and carpet cleaner and with the military and homeowner discount. I don’t to be paying about 1400 out the door box price but of course it cuts into his commission. I don’t like the persistence of these people and then if you tell them, "No thank you," they still want to bring their manager in to talk to you and get personal information. I will never ever buy a Kirby vacuum.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

We received a phone call asking us if we would like our carpet cleaned for £30, as our dog had just passed we agreed, a young lady turned up nice as pie, until it came to the buying part, my partner had enough and decided to go out, leaving me with 5 hrs of bullying tactics and she had eaten half tin of biscuits. In the end I agreed just to buy just to get rid of her, I felt violated after she left and just cried, 3 yrs later I’m struggling to pay for the Hoover it is sat in garage, don’t ever fall for the scam.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Updated on 03/04/2019: On 2/26/19 Kirby responded to my review, apologizing for the problems and indicating they were interested in correcting the situation but needed more information. On 2/28/19 I called them citing their request but was told they knew nothing about the response by Kirby. This is a clear example of Kirby trying to make themselves look good when in actual fact they have no intention of correcting the problem. (Confirmed by the following) Today I received a letter from the investigative branch at Kirby saying that since I bought the vacuum from a individual who is not a authorized salesperson (how was I to Know) because he is not a Kirby salesman.

The truth is I did not buy the vacuum from the person they named. Through my own investigation I have determined the name of the dealer/location yet Kirby denies they exist. It is further apparent to me that they will tell lies and manufacture phony evidence (the salesman they named) to save them a dollar. I notified the Kirby representative today that I intend to file suit in small claims court.

Original Review: Yes my first mistake was letting the salesman in my home to do a carpet shampoo free. After paying too much I bought the sales pitch for my wife. She has rheumatoid arthritis badly in her hands and a few months she gave up trying to use the machine and went back to the Dyson. The attachments are so difficult that I can hardly make the changes. In the 10 month of ownership I approached the company wanting to return the machine under the (SENIOR) program, When I learned that the salesman was not a legitimate Kirby representative (so they say) hence they could not help me. The bottom line is Kirby is not interested in protecting their good name, only your money. So beware!!!

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Jimmie, We are very disappointed to read about your experience. Could you please give us a call so we can gather more information regarding this encounter you had with an independent salesman? We look forward to hearing from you and appreciate you reaching out.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

After using this product for 3-4 years, my opinion has not changed. It is the most difficult product to use. I only use it to vacuum my carpets. To use the carpet cleaner is not easy. Too much disassemble/reassemble time spent. Every part of this machine weighs a ton!! I have offered to give it away for FREE but nobody is interested. Also very expensive to buy bags, shampoo. Not worth a penny I spent.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I bought my Kirby vacuum in 2000. I do not know how I end up meeting a representative from Kirby when I buy a new home. I loved the way it worked and all the features and I bought it. Later on I realized that it was a little pricey but I really liked the potency in this vacuum. After twenty year, I am still in love with my vacuum. I have not found a vacuum that works the way this vacuum work after so many years. It is worth paying more for a vacuum that will last so many years and will do the work. I will recommend this vacuum to everyone!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

This is by far the best vacuum you can buy for your home. It has 3 times the suction power of a Dyson, will pick up 2 or three times as much dirt out of your carpet as a Dyson, or any other brand. The Kirby will last for 25 or more years. They have a lifetime warranty. This is fantastic American made product. I have used a Kirby all of my life. I have used other machines that call themselves vacuums, but none of them compare to a Kirby. It is so frustrating to use another vacuum because they just don't work like my Kirby. They may be a little heavy, but they are easy to push and bottom line, you vacuum to get the carpet clean. If you want clean get a Kirby.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Okay a friend of mine gave this salesperson my number. We talked on the phone and they said will get our carpet cleaner for free so I was excited. They came at 7 pm because I wanted my husband to be around too. So we invited them in, They told us to first vacuum with our own vacuum. Later they used their vacuum. It was really impressive. The vacuum does a good job. This scammer explained to us how he wants to win a Trip if he gets 15 people to buy the vacuum. She were surprised because we thought they were coming to clean the carpet and go.

Later he called his boss and said that we'll be purchasing the vacuum. Mind you he had not even told us the price of the vacuum. Later he told us it was 2695, so I told him, "Let's first do some research about this vacuum then we'll buy it." He refused and told us that we get it today on a cheaper price which was 2100. He kept insisting, he even showed us a video of Oprah and how bugs' feces end up on our mouths. That's why when people wake up their mouth stinks. We kept insisting we don't have that money. He said we can put 0 down as long as we have a good credit. We told him "Right now we can't buy it." He reduce the price to 1500. The other thing the vacuum he wants to sell to us was the same one he goes around with it to people houses for demonstration. We told him no and he got very upset. He made me very uncomfortable. Am lucky my husband was there, they want to get me to buy something I don't need for 2695. Thank God.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I had a very skilled salesman come to my home and swindle me into buying this hunk of junk. Now I am stuck in ridiculous payments for years. I didn't realize how hard this vacuum is to use until after the 30 days, so now I am stuck.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I've had my Kirby Sentra for 6 years now. It's the best vacuum cleaner I've ever owned. I've had every other type of big box retail cleaner - Dyson, Shark, Toshiba, Sharp, Bosch, Dirt Devil, Hoover, and every type of shop-vac imaginable - and all have worked fine, however nothing compares to the Kirby. The Kirby is by far, one of the best vacuum cleaners made worldwide.

A few notes; a brand new Kirby is like a brand new Mercedes - they're expensive brand new. If you're looking to buy a Kirby, do what I did and buy a used one from eBay or Amazon. A Kirby is not some Chinese made piece of plastic junk - it'll last a lifetime and there are thousands of testimonials to back that up. It's a solid, heavy duty piece of American made machinery and the company has been in business since 1906. The brand has an international reputation for quality and performance that is over a hundred years old - so for those that don't know the history of the company and product, it's sold on a door-to-door basis, however you can find dealers that repair them and sell used ones.

Many reviewers seem to be in sticker shock at the price of a new Kirby, but put it in perspective. An iPad or tablet computer would set you back the same amount and you'd be lucky if the thing lasted 3 years. Used Kirby's are usually in fantastic shape, however there may be one that was used by some idiot to vacuum gravel driveways, so do your homework just like you would with a used car. Once you've familiarized yourself with your Kirby use it properly - don't lug it up and down the stairs, use the proper disposable cloth bags which do an excellent job of catching dust. The suction power on a Kirby is amazing as well. Once a year, just like your car, take it to a Kirby dealer for a major tune up and cleaning. You'll be glad you did. Your Kirby will last you for much longer than any other vacuum cleaner you've ever bought. I know, because every brand of vacuum cleaner I mentioned above, I don't have anymore. They all broke.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

When my father passed away in October, I got his and my mom's Kirby Sentria. All I can say is, “WOW !! !” It puts my other upright and all others before it, to shame. And the proof is in the dirt collection bag. I vacuum 2 to 3 times a week. Other vacuum’s bags would have to be replaced after many, many uses. But when I started using the Kirby, the carpet and floors were so filthy (I had no idea), I went through 3 bags in the first use. It made me sick to know that all the effort that I had been putting into keeping my floors clean was so pointless.

I liked it so much, I have bought a second Sentria, identical to it. Not because I had a problem, but because I have a large, single story, 4 bedroom, 2800 sq foot home. My spouse helps with the vacuuming and he was having to use the POS vacuum. So, now we both are vacuuming with the same awesome machines. Are they heavy? Yes, very. I would not recommend “one” for a multi story home. Definitely, get one per floor. But hey, it’s a good thing because these beasts are all metal. There’s very little plastic to break on or in a Kirby vacuum. They are built to last generations. They have suction like no other vacuum I’ve ever used. But it’s true, they do appear be be designed for dust, dirt and crumbs only. They do not pick coins or other small plastic or metal objects. I guess Kirby doesn’t want you to vacuum up something that accidentally made it’s way to the floor. It will spit it back out. Another good thing in my opinion.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

We really wished we had seen this website earlier. We recently were offered by the company Bright and Shiny a “free” carpet cleaning if we would allow a sales rep to demonstrate a Kirby Vacuum/carpet cleaner. We were assured there was no pressure to buy and that they would clean two full rooms They just wanted to highlight their machine. He did the demo using white & black filters which appears very impressive. But my $60 vacuum would do the same thing as we do live in the Coachella Valley which is surrounded by desert. He left the filters lying around to prove how good this machine was.

He then asked for a towel to prove that the cleaning fluid mixed with water would not soak into your carpet but would dry within 45 minutes and you would just have to vacuum the powder up. It took over 24 hours and even with fans on, the carpet was still damp in some places. There are black blotches all over the carpet, that the vacuum will not take out. Not only that, our tile floor had water marks all over it from the cleaner, so we had to wash the floor again plus clean out the sink he used.

The carpet is now such a mess, we have to hire a carpet cleaning firm to fix it so much for a “free” carpet cleaning. He started out with a high figure for the cleaner, but said he could give us a better deal as he needed the sale to win a ski trip to Tahoe. Because he was unable to make a deal with us, he made four more offers and the end figure ended up 60% less than the starting price. He was not happy when he left and roughly packed his gear up and left. Lesson learned... Nothing is free.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Kirby Avalir vacuum is literally the worst investment I have ever made. When the distributor comes to your house and shows you how to use the vacuum, he does a great job showing you how it picks up baking soda from your carpet. But when it comes to general use of this vacuum it is extremely difficult and heavy. It vacuums deep into your carpet. I will give it that much but anything on top of your carpet does not get vacuumed up. It will not do fuzzy cat hair as well as dog hair in anyway. It will not vacuum up small crumbs from under your table. You will go over it and over it and over it wasting your time vacuuming things that will not vacuum up. I am extremely disappointed with this vacuum. I called the distributor a couple months after I bought the vacuum, and he never returned any of my calls. I have contacted Kirby and haven’t heard back from them yet either.

The heaviness of the vacuum is ridiculous. There are plastic connectors to the heavy-metal vacuum part. Every time I pick it up I feel like the handle is going to break off. Carrying it up and downstairs is quite the task. You will be hit in the shins three or four times as you take steps while lifting it. It’s swings around and has no rigidity to the frame of the vacuum. I am not a small woman. I can lift heavy weights. But the effort that this vacuum takes to move from one room to the next or up and downstairs is beyond ridiculous.

I could go all day about how hard it is to put all the attachments on to it. I have read past reviews who said as soon as you get to know the vacuum you will love it. My question for them is, "How much time do you have to play with your vacuum?" Because it is quite intense to put everything together just to vacuum a corner out or a drawer out or stairs off. My suggestion is stay way away from Kirby and their vacuums. You could buy three or four good vacuums for the cost of this one. That would be at least 20 years of vacuums. Don’t buy it.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

KIRBY Vacuums are HANDS DOWN the BEST VACUUMS OUT THERE. First of all I want to say all those people complaining about Kirby Vacuums are way too LAZY to learn how to use the vacuum properly. If you actually take the time to learn how to use the vacuum properly, most of these reviews would be 5 star reviews. Clearly in reading these negative reviews people are not putting the belt on right. I use my Kirby almost daily and my belts last for months.

As far as the comments about the attachments being hard to use and supposedly hard to change. AGAIN most of these people are LAZY. Yes the Kirby's are heavy but that is simply because they are made very well hence the reason they last forever. They clean the best, and are very versatile. I WOULD NOT buy from a salesperson. You can buy a used one for the price you would pay for a piece of garbage at Walmart. Take the time to learn how to use your Kirby and you would be pleased. Kirby is the only way to go.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

This is the worst vacuum I've ever invested in. The day the salesman showed it to me, hmm, works fantastic. A week into, I went to use it and it's terrible. I moved and it barely picks crap up off my carpets and rug. Worst money ever spent!!! Now I'm stuck for 2 years with this monstrosity of a bill. Stupidest vacuum ever. I hate it. Like with a passion. The deepest passion. It ruined my mental stability dealing with this thing. Don't buy it if you're even thinking of buying it. Just stop and don't.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

Clearly the reviews other than how Kirby's are sold on here are caused from owner operator. Btw let me begin by saying we had a Dyson, Hoover & Dirt Devil and all are in our dump now. Wife had a Dyson when we married. After owning Kirby of my own for almost 20 years and using my mom's old design in the 60/70's I absolutely know the do/don'ts on them and I'll explain.

If the owners saying they don't have suction would only go to Youtube and watch vids or read how to set the machine upright, maybe even paid attention to the demonstration if they ever had one they'd know it's not set correctly so it will indeed fail to pick up dirt & small particles of paper. Its nozzle has to be set correctly or it will fail because Kirby aren't designed to just skim above carpet like a Dirt Devil, Hoover or Dyson etc.

Kirby are deep cleaning units that "when" set up right actually lift the carpet up off the actual floor in front of the suction head. So' if you don't see it lifting carpet you're not setting it right. Having said this Kirby does miss a serious step when teaching operation and so my own trial and error came into play. Missed step? Oh yes' because if you have small paper/plastic/food pieces lying all over the room then one must start with the Kirby vacuum just above the carpet like a cheap vac runs at first. This is where the above mentioned cheap vacs are set even at their lowest settings and why people "think" they clean so great when they actually miss the deep down dirt/sand that destroys all your carpet fibers over time.

Oh yes cheap vacuumed carpets look clean and you see the dirt in the canister but your deep dirt remains unless a Kirby gets it out. In truth "No" vac built today will get it all out not even built in wall vacs but nothing gets you as close to this as a Kirby. NOTHING! Now after what I call the top skimmer setting is ran, I set my Kirby to its "advertised" normal setting position as shown in the Kirby videos.

The reason for an extra step is there is no room between the roller brush and carpet for the larger pieces so it pushes them around since a Kirby actually lifts the carpet up. It's why it cleans under carpets too and others will not come close to that. So I just set mine exactly how Kirby says but I'll raise it a click or two as I encounter any larger pieces sitting on top of the carpet to allow it to pass between brush/carpet. Nothing hard about that and it makes a world of difference. Kirby must know it & should include it.

So if a Kirby working good/bad is all about the setting folks! Also there are several aftermarket bag companies selling bags too restrictive so buyer beware on your bags. Had some bad ones myself. Heavy? Not at all after learning how to use/pick it up correctly. I have 7 bad discs in my back and it's not an issue. I don't have stairs though but learn on vids how to pick one up right. It's not bad.

It's heavier built to last and have real power. Truth is lightweight electric motors have very little copper windings inside and why they simply wear out after a few yrs. Many today now use junk China copper plated aluminum winding even. This is for any electric motor btw, it need the copper to last. It's why Kirbys are passed down generations but many who inherit them have no idea how they even work and leave bad reviews everywhere and touting Dyson's rule when they don't.

They don't mention how many times the cheap vacs been to a shop or they're on their 3rd unit or motor in ten yrs. Simply stop in and ask any vacuum repair shop to see their back room you'll see what truly keeps them in business. Hoovers & Bissels but mainly Dysons line these shops. WATCH A KIRBY VIDEO OR READ UP ON THEM IF YOURS IS NOT VACUUMING, IT WILL HELP IN OPERATION. I ASSURE YOU... By far Kirby makes the best vacs made in over 100 yrs if you know exactly how to operate one. I can only hope these people never ever inherit bulldozers.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I could write a book about how awful this vacuum is. Way too heavy and difficult for almost anyone to operate, especially a middle age woman. I am not an invalid. Awkward and difficult to move and change out attachments. Cord does not stay in handle. Extensions always work their way loose. Runs over the cord. Stinks. Assured that it would not, that the hepa filtered vacuum bags would take care of. Not true at all.

I have pets. Vacuum bags do not contain the odor like I was promised. Loud. Loud. Loud. Cuss every time I use it. Height is wrong for anyone under 5'3". Salesmen are full of lies and markup financing is ridiculous. I have never in my 62 years of life been more disappointed in an expensive and worthless purchase. Do not make the same mistake I did. Don't buy this poorly designed piece of equipment!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

A salesman showed up on my doorstep (which I hate) and I told him I was UNABLE to purchase anything at this time so he asked if he could shampoo one room and that the company would pay him $25 to do it so I agreed. Never happened! He came in and went right to demonstrating the vac which I STUPIDLY purchased due to being told I qualified for zero int on the financing and that I would be able to get $800 for my 'old' Kirby and not to take any less. Again DIDN'T HAPPEN! I can't even get $700 for it or any offers even! I'm not that impressed with the NEW vac (the hatch keep falling off even though I DO twist them on!) and wish I had kept the Simplicity (that he took on trade in) which out-sucked the Kirby! I'm screwed now looks like! Wish I'd read the reviews BEFORE falling for this sales pitch!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Please take my warning! Spend your money elsewhere! Sure this Vacuum can do a lot but it can't do anything well. Just after a few months our carpet cleaner is broke (It really didn't clean that well) and we are back to renting a cleaner. The vacuum itself is nothing like it was the first few weeks. (At this point it's as good as a $50 one from Walmart.) I regret this purchase 100%!! If there is one thing I regret the most is letting them take my Bissell ProHeat 2X I bought just weeks before.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

If you read these reviews, it does make you wonder why Kirby continues to sell door to door. I happened to be visiting a friend when they showed up and did their demo. When I told them I had the cash to buy it but a vacuum cleaner was not a priority to me, they called for reinforcements. Long story short, got the cleaner, all the attachments and the shampooer for $900... By holding out.

That was in 2003. Here I am writing a review in 2018. Yes. 15 years. This machine is a tank!! Heavy, well built, and sucks like no other machine. I have a Shark that I use upstairs (which I thought was a good machine) but when I compare the cleaning job done by the Kirby, there is no comparison. It is heavy, switching from upright to using attachments is a pain... Unlike the more "convenient" machines available. But if you want a workhorse that in 15 years all you replaced were belts and a brush... and it can lift your carpet and really clean the dirt... this is it.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Please do not buy the Kirby Vacuum. I purchased my Kirby Avalir almost 2 years ago and I hate everything about it! The first problem is the suction is horrible, after vacuuming I still have to pick up by hand all the particles the vacuum leaves behind. Second, the vacuum is extremely heavy and it not convenient when using it to clean stairs. Finally, the price is definitely not worth it, base on the vacuum performance.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I just purchased my Kirby vacuum. It's amazing. I have tons of dog hair because I have several dogs and I couldn't find anything that would take the dog hair away. Salesperson was awesome. He showed me how the machine goes from a vacuum to his carpet shampooer which was exactly what I was looking for. I couldn't believe how dirty my floors were until he showed me a demonstration. Believe me it sucked up all of the dirt and hair that was in my carpets. I used it to vacuum my bed sheet on my bed. Hair is all gone. My dog had an accident on the carpet. I use the shampooer and it was gone completely. No smell nothing!

Yes the carpet shampooer and vacuum system is pricey. But it is a high-pressure suction that I was looking for and you cannot get that with a regular $60 vacuum. I have nothing to complain about with this product. It is heavy but it needs to be because it's powerful like an engine. It does the job. All the attachments that it comes with I can even clean my windows. So if you're looking for a vacuum carpet cleaning system that will suck up the deep down dirt and pet hair I don't mind paying $1,600 for my vacuum.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

For anyone wanting to buy a new vacuum cleaner, please avoid this brand! Where to start? When we moved into our new home, we were approached by 2 or 3 Kirby salesmen. They only sell door to door... This is not an old fashioned technique... It is a technique to lock you in so that it is virtually impossible to return this product. After the pitch, they presented us with the price... with financing, around $2000. At this point, I wanted to throw them out of the house, but they had suckered my missus in. She was convinced that this was a lifelong product that you could pass generation to generation. That is absolute BS and who wants a vacuum cleaner as an heirloom?

Other sales pitches included blowing my leaves with the attachments and blowing up balloons. What garbage. Anyways, I would have nothing to do with it but my poor wonderful better half signed on the dotted line, and they ended up taking my better, lighter vacuum cleaner with them as a trade in. Never, ever buy this product! It is heavy, clunky, and very old school. The upstairs hardly ever gets vacuumed now because it is a pain to lug this 30 pound monstrosity upstairs. About every 2nd vacuuming, the belt begins to snap and I have to change it. And I am very mechanically minded. This is an absolute pain in the **, dismantling this piece of trash and hoping the belt catches on their swivel lock system. Perhaps if there is someone you dislike, give them your Kirby and that would solidify your never reconciling the relationship.

Oh, how sweet the day will be when we replace this piece of junk and I am allowed to put this Kirby in a bonfire!!! Remember, for the price of this model, you literally could buy a new vacuum every three years for the rest of your life! Do the math! This is not worth a tenth of its ridiculous price. And by the way, go talk to your local independent vacuum cleaner repairman. He will definitely steer you away from this product and verify it is NOT truly American made. ** you, Kirby! Go Dyson, or Oreck, or any other brand!

Kirby expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The Kirby Company is a division of the Scott Fetzer Company, which was founded in 1914. It is named after Jim Kirby, who designed the company's early vacuum cleaners.

• Scheduled demonstrations: Potential buyers can schedule demonstrations to help them decide whether they want to own Kirby vacuums.

• Useful tools: Kirby home care systems have tools that let them convert into everything from air pumps to carpet shampoo systems.

• Customer service: Kirby offers a wide range of customer services, including online how-to videos and phone support.

• Limited warranty: All Kirby vacuums come with three-year limited warranties.

• Maintenance services: Rebuild and maintenance services are available to lengthen the life of Kirby vacuums.

• Best for: Kirby's flexible vacuum system makes it useful for homeowners, renters, landlords and drivers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs