Kirby Vacuum Cleaners
Kirby Vacuum Cleaners
2.60/5
Based on 111 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

For nearly one-hundred years, The Kirby Company has manufactured superior, American-made home cleaning systems. Kirby does not sell directly to the public but continues a long tradition of distributing its home cleaning systems through independent distributors, who are responsible for running their own businesses. Over the years, this distribution system has afforded thousands of men and women the opportunity to live the American dream of owning and operating their own businesses.

Experience has taught us that customers prefer to try our premium cleaning systems in their own homes before purchasing. Customer satisfaction is our top priority. If customers have any questions or concerns regarding the in-home demonstrations of Kirby cleaning systems or the cleaning systems themselves, please email us at consumer@kirbywhq.com, or call us at 800-494-8586, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., EST.

Read More Read More
Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 22, 2018

1620 Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 22, 2018

I was making dinner tonight and was home with my 4 year old when I heard a knock at the door. I was expecting company so I had my little one answer the door and heard “is your mommy or daddy home?” I went to the door and found the sleazebag that would infest my home with lies and leave it smelling like an ashtray after loitering long past his welcome.

He told me that he was part of a small business that was setting up shop locally and that to do so they needed to perform 45 free cleanings in order to get the best feel for where to locate the store. Fair enough, I like free stuff and I like local business so I directly asked how long it would take and said I had thirty minutes tops because I had company coming over for dinner. That’s when stuff got stupid really fast. Some 18 year old kid comes in and he’s a fast talker but a really bad one. His favorite trick was to ask about interests and then really sink his time into painting me as some great American hero for liking things like baseball and dogs and for making bacon.

30 minutes in is when he STARTED cleaning the sofa he said he would. By this time I was absorbed in making dinner and lost track of time. I asked him to leave a couple of times politely but saying “We are not interested in buying a vacuum cleaner, but thank you for the demonstration.” He must have graduated with honors from the school of how to make people hate you by not listening. Whatever the opposite of winning friends and influencing people is, that’s this guy. He continued for 2 hours to try and sell me a vacuum. I put dinner on the table and these jerks WOULD NOT LEAVE MY HOUSE!! I should add that my friends had arrived and the vacuum people basically restarted the pitch with them. I eventually ran out of patience and told them: “Look, nobody here wants what you’re selling and we are tired of you being here, so please go.”

Did that work? Not a chance!! The kid (who mentioned being in Seattle usually and having just finished up a turn through Arizona selling these atrociously heavy vacuum cleaners, so, no, they were not a local business looking to set up shop down the block) didn’t leave; he called his manager who showed up and wouldn’t listen to anything but instead launched into cornering and badgering sales tactics: “how much can you put down today?” Me: “Nothing; leave.” Salesjerk: “We have payment plans...” Me: “Get. Out. “ Salesmoron: “Okay guys, show them the shampoo demo so we get credit for the demonstration.”

Ah yes, the contest. The entire duration of the demonstration, these sales guys mentioned some stupid contest no less than 7 times combined. See, their story was that one of them was only three vacuum cleaners away from a free trip to Wisconsin Dells. Odd—was it a contest or an incentive program? These guys didn’t strike me as the type that would know the difference. I was told late in the demo that if they weren’t allowed to finish the shampoo and some other God-forsaken cleaning process that Mr. I-need-to-sell-just-3-more-Kirby’s-before-I-can-earn-my-vacation wouldn’t get credit for his time and would get in trouble with his boss.

By this time, I was to the blurting-things-out stage so I did just that. HA!! I laughed out loud. “You spent the last two hours doing who knows what; it’s not my problem that you squandered your precious shampooing time chattering in for half hours at a time about nothing while you could have been getting credit for your demonstration. Nope, not my issue. You’re done. Get out.”

He actually responds by turning to his trainee and saying: “This is the awkward part where we have to pack everything up because they’re mad and they just want us to leave.” Un-be-freaking-lievable!!! I see that Kirby responds to these comments here and says things like: “...while we aren’t affiliated with our third party resellers...” WELL MAYBE YOU SHOULD BE!! For crying out loud!! Never again, Kirby, and regardless of your relationship with your resellers, I will NEVER recommend your sleaze-driven products. Ever. I’d rather live in hazardous waste than deal with another of your “I’m just a local business owner looking to"—Nope. Lies. Too bad. I actually liked the vacuum a bit.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I was unhappy with the way thing went down. First they tricked their way in. I told them no many times kept on with showing me what it could do. Finally husband says yes which he should not. We really cannot afford this. They dont want to take it back. They have extended payment till Sep. They took my vacuum that I had bought less than a month ago. The price is too high. Not saying it is not a good machine. It's heavy to lift. I would like them to come and take it back. Have called several times. They are extending when first payment is due but I am look down the road and the price and not sure we can pay all those payments. It adds up to a little over 2000. Too much that we cannot afford to put out at this time yet they put us in a position of paying out these monies that we cannot afford.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 17, 2018

I had a similar experience as most of the reviewers. The guys were nice, but not willing to take no for an answer. They made it sound so good and easy to use that I ended up purchasing it. Right away we were not thrilled with it. It is difficult to use especially when changing from vacuum to shampooer. The roller keeps stopping and not we're not sure why. I called to say I was unhappy with it and of course, you cannot return and get any kind of refund. So, now we are stuck with a vacuum that cost thousands of dollars and nothing to be done about it. Never again!

Original review: April 13, 2018

Not satisfied with the Kirby Vacuum. Had it for a year and still miss my old one they supposedly gave me credit for and took with them. The guy cleaning our carpets even was nervous because at first he couldn't find dirt. And asked what kind of vacuum we had. Wish I could sell it back to them. If so please message me back.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I bought a new machine after the cleaning. They are very pushy and make you feel like you can’t live without it. They gave me a credit and took my perfectly good vacuum. I am disabled and can’t even put the front of the vacuum itself on. I had to go out and buy a broom and can’t even afford to buy a new vacuum. I can’t lift it. I can’t move it. I can’t bring it up and down the stairs. My floors are disgusting and there should be a law against people selling these machines, especially to the elderly and disabled. I pay $140 a month for a machine I can’t even use. My daughter and I can’t even breathe at night with the amount of dust and dirt on our floors. I have called the number of the “manager” who left his card... like 20 times. The one time he did answer he said the best he could do was send someone out to “assist” me with using the machine and to look at the attachment that was already broken. He scheduled me for 4pm the next day.

Two days later at 1pm, I got a call from a lady who said she was outside my house and was wondering where I was. I have tried to sell it to at least pay off the balance, since I live on my limited social security income, and no one wants it. Warren Buffett should be ashamed of himself. I nearly killed myself trying to move this from my kitchen to my bedroom. I sit and cry because I answered the door that day. Please everyone beware. I’ve also called the 800 number countless times.

After sitting on hold, I eventually get sent to a voicemail where I leave my information, and no one gets back to me. In a few years, I’ll pay it off, it will cost me about 5k when all is done, then I’ll throw it in the trash. I hope Warren Buffett feels good about himself. This is the worst scam I've ever seen. Don’t answer the door people. If your company really believed in your machines, you wouldn’t have to force people to buy them, you would answer your customers calls and take them back from the people that can’t use them. Instead, you leave countless victims in your wake. :(

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Jamielee, we are disappointed to read about your experience with an independent Kirby salesperson. Even though The Kirby Company is not a party to the agreements between the salespeople or "dealers" that were at your home and the independent distributorships with which they affiliate, The Kirby Company still takes matters like yours seriously. Please contact our Consumer Relations department for further assistance at 1-800-494-8586. Thank you!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby?

Original review: April 12, 2018

It all starts with an offer to clean your carpets for free. Then I ask how long it will take and he replies 30 minutes. Two hours later he is still in my apartment. In retrospect, at this point your best plan of action if he continues to pester you is to CALL THE POLICE. I am the owner of a puppy so of course a carpet cleaning was something that I could use. The salesman (his name was Brian) did clean my carpets, but as I mentioned he took forever and all the while I was forced to listen to this very canned hard-sell spiel.

My vacuum was over 15 years old so eventually I decided to purchase a vacuum. The price started at $2300 and it ended at $800 for a lesser model vacuum. I wrote him a separate check for cleaning my carpets so needless to say I was a dream customer for this clown. Once he got the check he couldn't get out of the door quick enough. He had promised to return to give me a tutorial on the lesser model vacuum but I tried to chase him down for 2 weeks and he always had a lame excuse to not return. Bottomline while the vacuum is decent they are way overpriced and the lousy customer service is not worth the terrible experience. As I opened with "RUN don't walk away from these fast talking carnival barkers."

Original review: April 12, 2018

Shady business practices. They come to your door acting like they are offering you a free cleaning service; no purchase required, but they are hoping you'll use them in the future and refer your friends. Once you agree to that, someone else comes in carrying a Kirby. They probably are good vacuums, but I wouldn't buy from them because of their deceitfulness in getting in the door.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I normally never allow sales reps to come into my home, but I was somewhat interested because I was in need of a new vacuum cleaner/rug cleaner, and since the Kirby system offer both, I gave the demonstration a try. As it turned out, it was the worst experience that I had ever had with a company, its sale reps, and the independent owner.

For starters, I was at home alone with my 11 years old son when I invited two sales reps to show me the product. The demonstration on the Kirby system was going great and I had instantly fallen in love with the product. All of sudden, the demonstration took a turn for the worst. One of the sales rep made a racial slur which took me by surprise. He asked me if I liked bugs and I had replied no. Then he asked, "What do I do to bugs when I see them"? I said that I would kill them sometimes. Then the sales rep said that he can tell that I was from St. Louis because I loved killing roaches and bugs.

At that point, it seemed as though time has stopped. The second sales rep and I looked at each other as if we could not believe what we had heard from the first rep. Then the second rep just at the floor and started shaking his head in disgust. It wasn't until later, after talking to their boss/independent owner told me that the first rep was not trained to make such a comment to me. But, since I own a property management company and loved the Kirby system so much and wanted to learn more about the system, I had ignored the remark and allowed him to continue the demonstration... THAT WAS A REGRETTABLE HUGE MISTAKE on my part because it got worse from there!

During the demonstration, I learned that the first rep was actually training the second rep. It became obvious that first rep took pride in bossing around his new trainee. And the trainee did not appreciate being bossed around, especially since it was done in a very unprofessional manner. Anyway, once I agreed to purchase the system, which was $2100, the first rep went to retrieve an application for financing purpose.

During this time the second/trainee rep because to pace around my house as he rubbed his hand together as if to release some tension, due to the fact he felt disrespected and bossed around. He started to sweat really bad. That when I became afraid in my own house because I saw anger in the second rep's eyes, but I immediately wanted to take control of the situation because my husband was at work and I was at home with my young son.

Therefore, I felt trapped in the middle and I did my very best to try to calm him down because I did not want things to escalate any further between the two reps. I told him to ignore him and to just let it go and just finish his day on a good note, especially since he was new on the job. But my attempt fell on deaf ears. Instead, he told me that he hates the first rep and thought that he was a "** snake", (his actual words). I could not believe he had cursed right in front me! Then, the first rep came back in the house and rudely told the second rep to start vacuuming my carpet. He replied, "No, because I don't have a vacuum bag". That's when the first rep got up in the second's rep face and demanded him to do it. At this point, I got scared because they both looked like they were about to fight in my living room. Then my husband came through the door and I felt that was the only reason why they did not go to blows.

I must have had a look of terror on my face because my husband asked me if there was anything wrong and if I was okay. I simply told him yes, which was a complete lie. I told the second rep at that point that he did not need to vacuum and I would do it later. I just wanted to sign the contract and get them two out of my house.

I still wanted the Kirby system after that madness that went on in my home, only because I thought was a AWESOME system and on top of that, I was able to finance the purchase and knew I would get great use out of it. But when I told my husband what had happened in our home and about the terrible experience and how afraid I was, he immediately wanted me to return it. My husband was pissed and said that we will not purchase or support anything from the Kirby company ever again! So I called the finance company the next day to make a complaint and to cancel the contract and request them to return my vacuum cleaner as well as pick up theirs.

A few days later, the independent owner called me and was very apologetic. We made arrangements for him to personally pick up the Kirby system and he had promised to bring my vacuum with him on the same day. But on the day he came to my home, he did not bring my vacuum cleaner at all. Instead, he tried to sell me the latest version of the vacuum cleaner, which left me in awe. I was so upset and so was my husband. Then the independent owner made a second promise to me to return the next day with my vacuum, which that was another lie because he had failed to make good on his promise. I did not even receive a courtesy call from him. I waited for another day just to see if he would come back to my home and he did not. WOW!!! It all made sense to me then. I thought the apples (the reps) did not fall too far from the tree (the owner).

At this point, I was totally DISGUSTED and just had enough of the Kirby company and its representatives because I was treated with disrespect and lied to in my own home. It wasn't until three days later, I was contacted by another rep. This rep left me a voicemail to inform me that he was head to my home to pick up the Kirby system and to return my vacuum cleaner. Unfortunately, my family and I were out of town to celebrate my husband's birthday for the weekend. On the following Monday, I called in independent office to setup arrangement to get my vacuum back and to return the Kirby system. I must have called four times. Each time I called, I was immediately sent to a voicemail system and could not leave a message because of it being full. Now, I was thinking that I was scammed!

That is when I called the corporate office and spoke to a very understanding rep took down my complaint and listened to my worries. He assured me that he would get in touch with the independent owner for. I can only assume that he did because the independent owner sent me a text message to arrange a third attempt to follow through with returning to my home. So, tomorrow I am really looking forward to getting this system out of my house and to put the disastrous experience behind me, hopefully. But, I am not going to hold my breath because I have a better chance of dying than anything else! Now, my husband told me that I cannot make any big purchase without his consent first, which is crazy because out of 15 years of marriage, this is the first time he has ever demanded that of me. I no longer have purchasing power. Thanks Kirby for having a negative impact on my life!

Original review: April 6, 2018

The finance contract was mishandled by Merchants Acceptance. It was set up to be an automatic deduction, but they lost the information. I got a call telling me my payment was late. I gave them my debit card information they were to use each month. Once again I received a call saying I was late and tried to add a late charge. That did not happen!!! I suggest Kirby get another finance co. to handle the accounts. DO NOT ALLOW KIRBY TO FINANCE YOUR UNIT WITH MERCHANTS ACCEPTANCE.

Original review: April 6, 2018

A relative received a demo and gave our name as a possible interested party. It's true we purchased a new home that has about 2500 sq feet of carpet. A woman called and offered a free cleaning. A nice respectful man showed up. I was appalled by how much dust and grime the vacuum was pulling up. Like anything the price is up for negotiation. I paid $1295. I cut the demo short as our toddler was done and ready for bed. Even after he had the sale he still wanted to finish cleaning our carpets! He took the time to make sure we could assemble and disassemble the attachments. The salesperson was great.

The vacuum is super heavy and clunky for sure but the amount of dust it was pulling out and we had a Dyson! It’s worth the effort and price for me. We have owned for about a month and after thorough cleaning and regular maintenance my asthma and allergies has greatly improved. I know several people who have owned their machines 30+ years. I hope ours last as long. Currently I am very satisfied overall.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 5, 2018

They sold a vacuum for 3000 dollars to my 74 year old grandmother. I'm taking her to their building to cancel tomorrow. Please do not get scammed by them. It's a shame, it's a really nice vacuum. 3000 is way too much for it though. They tried to X out the, "Notice of Cancellation" as well.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Eric, we are disappointed to read about your experience with an independent distributor. While we here at The Kirby Company are not a party to the agreements between the distributors, we take matters like yours very seriously. Please provide us with a good number to reach you at to pass along to our Consumer Relations department to further assist. Thank you!

Original review: April 2, 2018

I got my Kirby Avalir 2 vacuum cleaner an week ago. I had not used it. So I got ready to used the different parts and all of the parts had been used on someone else floors. The shampoo container had been used.

Original review: March 29, 2018

During sale Steven ** made so many promises. Now when calling and asking for a call back he hasn’t the time. Called customer service and very brash also no time to hear my issue. I informed her I was an engineer and didn’t need to be talked down to, which she replied she had been doing this for 40 years. I’m guessing all those years she never learned customer service care. I hung up to collect my thoughts.

If you’re interested in purchasing a Kirby just rethink your choice of whom to buy from. Kenny Family Enterprises lacks customer service. I now have a vacuum I wish I had not spent $3000.00 to buy. When my mom purchased a Kirby in the 70’s their customer service was exceptional and the vacuum is still working, that’s why I chose the Kirby to begin with. The company selling this vacuum is questionable and only interested in the sale. If returning the vacuum was an option and full refund available I definitely would take it. I would also continue to buy a BISSELL just for their awesome customer service even if it meant spending $4000.00 in my lifetime.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Where do I begin?!? The guy shows up to my door with my "free dish soap" and begs me to come inside because he's cold. The nice person I am, I accept. BAD IDEA. He said he would vacuum a small area then shampoo a spot, make it quick, maybe 30 minutes and if I'm not sold on the vacuum there was no pressure. **! He not only stayed about an hour is past when he said he would, I politely declined several times and he would not take no for an answer. I explain my husband and I are swamped in bills we do not need to add to our expenses. Blowing off what I said he keeps calling his boss for a discount. Even tries buying off my new Shark vacuum I just got 2 weeks ago for a trade in - even after I said I was not getting rid of it. I kept asking him to leave, come back later, etc. He kept pulling out more stuff for a demo I told him I was done with.

All this is happening while my husband is at work. My brother finds out what's going on, he shows up to help kick the annoying pest of a salesman out of my house. He started being rude to us, then calls his boss and says "looks like the customer got her husband to call his boyfriend to kick me out." I tell him that's enough, he needs to get his crap together and get the hell out. He keeps dragging his feet and saying rude things to my brother. His boss shows up and lets himself into my house. He's also trying his scam of a pitch. I tell them I was not interested in the vacuum so stop pushing. To make a long story short, they finally leave but leave their dirty rags from the demonstration all over my floor and there's dirt all over my carpet. My brother goes outside to tell him he forgot his rags, he says they are not his.

I say you brought them and used them with YOUR vacuum, it's your rag. He refused to pick it up, dropping the F bomb, my bro goes to give them to the guy, he refuses to take them, calling us names, his boss is cackling like a witch, pulling out his phone recording what was going on. This was not how this should have been handled. They were completely unprofessional, and I'll never buy a Kirby vacuum even if it was on clearance for a penny. I also called the cops after the rude bunch left so they were aware of what was happening. They also drove a red van with tinted windows. It just all in all was a very sketchy and out of control situation and I'm highly disappointed in the way the Kirby salesman acted, it was extremely immature and unprofessional. I'm also contacting the Better Business Bureau.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Danielle. We are very disappointed to hear about your experience you described below with an independent distributor. Please provide us with your contact information so we can pass it along to our Consumer Relations department to further investigate this situation. You may also call 1-800-494-8586. We take situations like yours very serious even though The Kirby Company is not a party to the agreements between the independent distributorships. We look forward to speaking with you. Thanks.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 28, 2018

Salesperson pushes their way into house says they are out in the neighborhood giving free sample of washing detergent. I tell her I do not have time right now but before I could say another word the Kirby salesperson was in my house. I told him I did not have time and was not buying a vacuum cleaner. He then pulls all of the equipment out and starts the demo. I kept telling Nick that I was not buying a vacuum cleaner and then he starts talking about my husband saying he did not care about me, he is not a very good husband. I call that slander and I think my lawyer will call this slander. If anyone from this company comes back to this address I will call the law and my lawyer. Nick took my vacuum cleaner laid it down and pushed it out of the way. Very rude. Will never buy a vacuum even for 50 cents.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Nora, we are disappointed to hear about your experience with an independent salesperson. While The Kirby Company is not a party to the agreements between the salespeople that were in your home and the independent distributorships with which they affiliate, we take situations like yours serious. Please contact us at 1-800-494-8586 for further assistance and so we can further look into the situation with the distributor who was in your home. Thank you!

Original review: March 25, 2018

We bought our Kirby Avalir about a year ago through a door to door salesman and paid an arm and a leg. The only reason I'm giving it 2 stars is because the vacuum aspect works, it's the best vacuum I've owned. However we were sold on all the attachments mostly. We have kids so messes and accidents happen. Recently my daughter had an accident and I spent 3 hours trying to clean up the mess with the carpet cleaner attachment. It did not even pick up an eighth of the water that got distributed. Not only that but it didn't even come close to getting rid of the smell. Probably because it was just soaking in my carpet. I cleaned all the parts after this and thought I'd give it a try on our living room since it needed to be cleaned as well. Nope. Living room smelled like urine now. I don't know how to get the smell out of the parts, afraid to use them anymore.

I feel like we got scammed. I know I used it right because when we had tile I used the mop attachment all the time until I got tired of having to spend an hour on my kitchen alone doing the process properly. I also checked the instructions a million times to be sure I was doing it right, because it didn't make sense that the dirty water only filled up the reservoir once. Having this Kirby was the only reason we agreed to have a place with carpet. Oh and they'll give you a terrible interest rate if you've got good credit.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I received a phone call stating I'd won a free clean of my choice... Carpets, lounge or mattress. I was pretty happy with this. They came over the next day to do this couch clean, where I found out it was actually a Kirby Vacuum Cleaner demo. I thought they were just coming over to do my lounge suite. I laughed when he said it was going to take 90 minutes because I thought he was kidding. He was not. They proceeded to give me a full demonstration of this vacuum, something I did not consent to. I needed to go out and was sucked into a review for TWO HOURS. And all he did was vacuum patches of my lounge room and vacuumed my lounge? I could have vacuumed my lounge. Then they tried to sell me the damn thing! I thought I was just getting my couch cleaned. I almost fell off the planet when he said it was $4,500. Called the boss, got a better deal. Still said no. Said no before he started, said no throughout, said no at the end.

He seemed annoyed that I said no. He was still alright and nice. But I'm so angry that this is their strategy. It's so sneaky. Based on the sneakiness alone, it was enough to not even consider buying the vacuum. To trick a person into a demo... And not even do the thing they said they were doing. TWO HOURS!!! Seriously! Life is short and I'll never get those two hours back! Such a stupid, sly, sneaky strategy, and if that's how they show you the product, then I imagine they'd be a nightmare to deal with if you actually went ahead and purchased one. Not happy.

Original review: March 20, 2018

They came to our door and just walked right in. They are very forceful even if you told them no 10 times. They will still try to get you to buy it. They were rude with me saying that I should be able to afford to buy when clearly I can't. We just moved to a new house and I even totaled my car a month ago and he still tried to get me to buy the darn thing. After TWO HOURS they finally packed up and left. They could of avoided all of this if they would have took no for an answer. I do not recommend. Do not answer door if it's them. They clearly don't have the decency to leave when you tell them to leave.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hello Becca, We are sorry to hear that you had a frustrating experience with a salesperson selling Kirby products. While The Kirby Company are not a party to the agreements between these salespeople and independently owned and operated distributorships of Kirby products, The Kirby Company takes concerns like yours seriously. Please call 1-800-494-8586 for further assistance and for our Consumer Relations department to look into this matter. Thank you!

Original review: March 19, 2018

Bought my Kirby after demonstration for $2125. Exact same Kirby demonstrated for my sister (living in different town) and offered for $1500. Shop around BEFORE you sign! Kirby company said they're allowed to do that. :-) Live and learn. Warned you. I feel totally ripped off...and foolish.

Original review: March 19, 2018

First of all, the way that Kirby is allowing the salespeople to approach and pitch their product is appalling. The salesman that came to my home was immediately forceful, obnoxious, and offensive. I was upfront with him in the beginning that I would NOT be purchasing a vacuum, but because he told me that he would get "credit" for a demonstration, I told him he could do that but that would be all. I also told him that my fiancé had just has surgery and did not feel good and I would have to get him some food so that he could take him meds, hoping that he would be considerate and speed the demo up. Over 3 hours later he was STILL at my home, going into rooms he had no business being in, making fun of my things and being completely loud and obnoxious.

I insisted that he needed to gather his things and go because my fiancé was feeling ill from not having any food or meds, but he just wouldn't leave! He continued to try and negotiate deal after deal upon me and I kept telling him that we simply could not afford a frivolous purchase such a vacuum after my fiancé being off of work for so long due to his surgery... he would not accept my answer. After half an hour of him trying to get ahold of his manager to come and pick him up, he made her come in and I again had to embarrassingly explain why we could not afford to purchase the vacuum.

They became rude and questioned me about why I wouldn't agree to the great deal they had offered me, to the point of harassment. You couldn't pay ME to ever use one of their products. I will NEVER give them a good review or recommendation due entirely to their use of con artists to harass and bully customers into purchasing the product. I can't imagine how many people give into them just to get rid of them and out of their home.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hello Jessica, We are sorry to hear that you had a frustrating experience with a salesperson selling Kirby products. While The Kirby Company are not a party to the agreements between these salespeople and independently owned and operated distributorships of Kirby products, The Kirby Company takes concerns like yours seriously. Please call 1-800-494-8586 for further assistance and for our Consumer Relations department to look into this matter. Thank you!

Original review: March 16, 2018

I do not like the Kirby vacuum that I purchased through a door to door salesperson. Firstly, I should not have allowed him into my house. The sales pitch is extremely aggressive, and I reluctantly agreed to purchase the Kirby, which I immediately regretted. I was told there was a lifetime warranty... There is not. I am having issues with it now, (basically it sounds like a jet plane), and I called the company and they said that they could rebuild it, at a cost to me, and all I would have to do is ship it to the company, as the closest company is more than 1 hour away. As far as the machine, it is the heaviest, most awkward vacuum that I have ever used, difficult to change attachments, and extremely dangerous to carry up and downstairs. The cord is manual, it does not wind up on its own. I HATE IT.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hello Darlene, We are sorry to hear that you had a frustrating experience with a salesperson selling Kirby products. While The Kirby Company are not a party to the agreements between these salespeople and independently owned and operated distributorships of Kirby products, The Kirby Company takes concerns like yours seriously. Please call 1-800-494-8586 for further assistance and for our Consumer Relations department to look into this matter. Thank you!

Original review: March 9, 2018

$3000 grand time it's paid for! No!!! It's nice and seems to work good IF you can get it upstairs. Ok I tried it once and dam thing gave me a workout. I've had it one day and I'm not going to fool with it so it's going back. If the price was lower and not so ** hard to take up/downstairs I'd keep it. I know why did I not think before I bought it. Hey if you have the money and don't like going to the gym then buy one.

Original review: March 9, 2018

These people are nothing more than con men and scammers!!! Calling our home telling my husband he'd been chosen to have our floors cleaned. These people will worm their way into your home with a lie!!! They started out with the price being 3,300 calling his boss to say he'd do his best to give us a deal. We said NO! Do you believe they ever cleaned the floors!!?? NOT! This guy played the good guy saying he'd call his boss to get us a good deal. LOOK ON EBAY. YOU CAN BUY ONE THERE WAY CHEAPER!!! People beware!!! We work hard for our money. Not to be scammed into buying something this outrageously overpriced!!! This company starts out with a lie. THEN ONE HAS TO WONDER IF THEIR WHOLE COMPANY IS BUILT ON LIES!!!???

Original review: March 3, 2018

Should have read Consumer Affairs (San Antonio/Cibolo area). It all started the same way as everyone else. They lie to get into our home. The very friendly 21 year old salesman named Jamal ** spends 4 hours talking us into how great this vacuum is. He plays on the fact that we are nice people. I didn't realized I was overpaying for this machine so $2100 out of my hard earned savings. He promised us extra stuff such as vacuum bags, belts, shampoos. Now I want that stuff and this little punk is ignoring my calls. People, DONT LET THESE LIARS INTO YOUR HOME. Best advice, post a NO SOLICITING SIGN. If they still bother you call the cops. I am working towards forgiving this person for what they did. Best thing I got out of this ordeal is a lesson, don't let salespeople into your home.

Original review: March 1, 2018

A Kirby vacuum always works well for cleaning carpets or anything that needs to be done. The only problem: they are heavy to lug around. But I have had one for years and love the way they clean.

Original review: March 1, 2018

This vacuum is overpriced and does not live up to its promises. It is heavy and hard to use when one gets older. They also have salespersons hawking this item.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

The Kirby is a good vacuum but it is just too heavy to push around. It would vacuum great and did a great job but it was a total workout to do the vacuuming. I hated that.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

Love the Kirby. But it’s hard to change over to the hose attachment. It’s very heavy and bulky. But metal parts are always nice, making it last. Cleans very well too. I can go from floor to carpet. I have an older model, hoping to get a newer one and maybe it will address some of the issues. The other models of vacuums Dyson, Hoover, etc. scare me even though commercials rate them good. They still have plastic parts which can break easily. I use my vacuum a lot. Being on a farm aids it all.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I saw a lot of negative posts. I had to fix our 2001 G6 as it had got left in the rain by my son next door. The drive was not functioning because the handle slide bearing surface had some rust. I disassembled it and oiled it. Works good as new. I see why it weighs so much. It is well machined and over engendered for the most part. The sales system is a pain and gives Kirby a bad rep, the attachments are hard to put on, and the unit is heavy when going upstairs. But it is built to last. We have been through several Dysons at the lake house in just 7 years. But they are bagless and super light but built cheap. We will look for a used Kirby.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

This vacuum is very heavy to lift and not as easy to use as the salesperson demonstrated. To use it as a canister you have to go through hoops to get the attachments lined up. It does come with a shampooer but difficult to use. If I had known better I would not have purchased this cleaner but you get caught up with hype and their demonstration.

Kirby expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The Kirby Company is a division of the Scott Fetzer Company, which was founded in 1914. It is named after Jim Kirby, who designed the company's early vacuum cleaners.

• Scheduled demonstrations: Potential buyers can schedule demonstrations to help them decide whether they want to own Kirby vacuums.

• Useful tools: Kirby home care systems have tools that let them convert into everything from air pumps to carpet shampoo systems.

• Customer service: Kirby offers a wide range of customer services, including online how-to videos and phone support.

• Limited warranty: All Kirby vacuums come with three-year limited warranties.

• Maintenance services: Rebuild and maintenance services are available to lengthen the life of Kirby vacuums.

• Best for: Kirby's flexible vacuum system makes it useful for homeowners, renters, landlords and drivers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs