2. Homeowners
Kirby Vacuum Cleaners

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

4.0/5 (281 ratings)

About Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

For nearly one-hundred years, The Kirby Company has manufactured superior, American-made home cleaning systems. Kirby does not sell directly to the public but continues a long tradition of distributing its home cleaning systems through independent distributors, who are responsible for running their own businesses. Over the years, this distribution system has afforded thousands of men and women the opportunity to live the American dream of owning and operating their own businesses.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby Vacuum Cleaners?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby?

Original review: July 10, 2021

Sentiment was my motive; mom had a Kirby forever. When it works it works well. I spend more time reattaching the belt that I do vacuuming, I've owned this kirby for 5 years. What should taked 30 minutes to clean up for tomorrow's company takes 2 hours, just disassembling and attaching the components and fixing the belt. I can't sell it and sleep at night. I'm leaving at the curb for the scrappers.

Original review: May 15, 2021

I love Kirbys. I always have done. I have an Ultimate G that is 19 years old and it’s runs flawlessly. I do stand behind Kirbys and I always will. They are truly one of the best vacuums you can buy. However I bought it used. If Kirby comes knocking at your door, DO NOT ANSWER! Often, they won’t tell you they are representing Kirby. They will offer you a free carpet cleaning or something of the like. They say it’ll take 15 minutes tops. They will stay in your house usually until you agree to buy the egregiously overpriced vacuum, I’ve heard they can be in your house up to 3-5 hours.

I had Kirby show up at my door and I immediately knew who it was when they offered me a free carpet shampooing. I told them I was not interested but they kept trying to come in. I told them I’ll be right back and closed the door. I came back with my Kirby I already owned and said, I’m not buying your Kirby. Leave my property. They kept trying to say “Well don’t you want to upgrade your old Kirby to a new one?” I said for the final time, “Get the ** off my porch!” They immediately left. The Kirby sales tactic is absolutely disgusting. Especially in the times we live in with COVID-19. Bottom line, don’t answer the door for Kirby and if you want one, get a good used one or a rebuilt one from one of the several websites that sell ones that are reconditioned and such.

Get buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2021

On March 24th 2021, a girl came to my door saying that her and her partner were new in town and have a cleaning business. Could they come clean one of my floors, no strings attached, 15 minutes tops? Sure. Then a man comes and helps another man bring the vacuum into the house. He was a nice guy, but told me he was trying to win this contest for a trip, that he was a dad with a child the same age as my youngest, etc. I bought it. $1800. Immediately regretted it. The next morning I sent the cancellation form. I also got a hold of the main headquarters to let them know my situation. I was advised to send a certified copy of the cancellation request so that I have proof that I cancelled within the 3 day cool off period. When they finally called back, the girl that first came to my door let me know that they would be here at noon on April 5th to get the vacuum.

At around 2:30pm that day I had not seen/heard from them. I called and she didn't know who I was, said they were in an accident and hung up. She called back and says, "You are in Manchester right?" No. About 150 miles from there in fact. At 5:00pm they come and she tried to get me to keep it for $1000. Oh wait!! She says, did I say $1000? I meant $995. That $5 almost swayed me haha. The next day when I checked to see how long it might be for a refund, she tells me 3-5 business days.

That time passed, so on April 15th, I call and again she tells me, it has been sent. The bank processing times vary. I have never had much of a wait time before, so on April 16th I call to find out when the refund was sent and while ringing, he calls me and this is where I take issue. Daniel ** (manager/distributor) calls me with an attitude and tells me he has sent the refund, he does not control how fast the bank processes, he understands car issues (because when pestered as to why I didn't want it I said my car repair bill is more important) and needing the money back, but it is out of his control now. He then says he has screenshots of when he refunded. I said, great. That is all I need to know, go ahead and send me those. I hung up.

He calls me back. He tells me the bank has up to 14 business days to refund. Fine. "When did you send the refund?" He tells me had I paid in cash I could have had it in hand that day of the pick up. He also tells me most people don't buy things and change their minds. He begins saying, "I can't hear you. Must be when you hung up on me before or the phone cut out, the service got bad." I asked, "What was the date you authorized the refund?" He goes off an another tangent from when I had asked why it wasn't on the contract about specific time periods to save customers any anxiety and to save himself from uncomfortable phone calls. Every time I am now screaming into the phone, "WHEN DID YOU SEND THE REFUND?" He says he can't hear me. I said,"You can hear me," and he says, "No I can't". I reported him for this disgusting exchange. All I want is my money back and an answer from him to a simple question.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Disgusting business tactics. Their "independent" distributor harassed me for weeks so that I would allowed him to come in a do a cleaning of my house-supposedly free of charge. They said that a friend was gifting me a free cleaning. I finally accepted which turned out to be a huge mistake. He was in my home for 3 hours!!!! Over the phone they said that it would only take 1 hour and that it was not a sales pitch. After 3 hours of this, I agreed to get the vacuum, but as he explained it I could return it if I changed my mind. He made it sound as if the return period was 30 days! My financial situation has changed and I haven't even been able to use the vacuum since it's so complicated to put together!

For a company that has been around for so long, I would think that you were more responsible and honest. I need to someone to get back to me about returning this vacuum and this distributor needs to stop harassing my friends as well. My friends are constantly calling me to tell me how they won't take no for an answer! I will be putting in a complaint with the Federal Business Bureau.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

A Kirby salesman came to my house and left dirty filters all over the floor. When asked if he was going to pick those up he told me no and left. This was after writing feedback on a form. Up until this point he was polite and professional. I can provide pictures of the mess as well as the salesman and the driver that picked him up from my home. Considering the incredibly unprofessional nature of the salesman I can only imagine what the customer service with the actual machine would be like.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

This is so awkward and difficult to change the power head. I have to put it up on the counter to change it and get it on right. It does get the pet hair and dirt up, but it's not worth the struggle at all. Everything about the Kirby is time consuming and irritating to me.

Original review: June 10, 2020

A rep, from what I assume is a local distributor, called me to schedule a free demonstration. They offered to clean the floors of any room of my choice in our home, preferably the one with the highest amount of traffic, so that they could show me how well the product works. I agreed because I am in the market for a new vacuum as it appears my 5 year old Shark has run its course. I also have wanted to get the carpet cleaned in all 4 of my bedrooms but hadn’t found anyone that I felt was reasonable for a one time job.

Anyway, fast forward to today, a sales rep came to our home at the scheduled time. She was very nice and demonstrated the product very well. It took a couple of hours but that’s to be expected due to all of the moving parts and the things this system can do. We were impressed enough that we wanted to buy. She handed us a laminated sheet with the total price of $2995 and a break down for payment options then called the lady in charge. We told her that the options on the paper weren’t in our budget so they asked for our ideal payment arrangement. We told them and just like that they agreed! They even told us they’d lower the price to $1700. I was thrilled because I felt like I was getting a deal especially since I knew this particular product was used.

The rep made a statement of how they use disposable filters so that they don’t carry dirt from house to house using the bags that you would normally attach. We agreed to finance for 36 months at about $65 a month with $100 down. Everything was all good until I saw the suggested retail price on the side of the box....$1749. Ultimately, we were about to pay full price for the product. That, however, was not the problem. The issue was in the fact that I thought they were giving us a discount when in reality they were gouging the price in order to make us think we were getting a discount. Mind you, this was a used product. One that has been used probably on several houses daily for demonstration purposes and you were going to try to sell it to us for full price.

I asked the sales person why they were trying to sell us a product for $1200 more than the suggested retail price. Her response was, "My boss just tells me that we have to get paid somehow." I asked her to call her boss...the same lady who agreed to our payment arrangement terms...because I wanted to ask her myself and hear her give me that same response. She called her and it appears she may have text her prior to calling to give her a heads up but when she answered I asked her to put the lady on speaker the lady declined stating that her background was loud and I wouldn’t be able to hear her. This was funny because I felt like if the sales rep could hear her then so can I but, nonetheless, I continue to ask why they were price gouging and they kept giving me comparisons to cars and other items being sold in the store above the suggested retail price.

I proceeded to tell them that stores are not selling items for more than half of the suggested retail price. I know that this product is not even worth the suggested retail price but I hoped it would prove to be over time with a lifetime warranty. After going back-and-forth and seeing how unprofessional the lady on the other end of the phone was I decided not to move forward with my agreement to purchase the Kirby vacuum and instead opted to sign the bottom of the paper in order to cancel my agreement. I took it upon myself to also call the company that they reached out to for financing so that I could make sure they did not send me any documents or payment paperwork relating to this product. I let them know that I decided to sign the bottom of the application basically foregoing any agreements that were previously made.

I am upset because I feel like I almost made a stupid decision allowing someone to get over on me in order to fill their own pockets. And based on other reviews they make it very hard to get out of the contract even if you change your mind within the allotted 3 days. I work at a law firm that fights against this very thing...It’s unethical...It’s deceptive...It’s fraud! Times are hard enough in this current state and, as I’m sure others feel, we work hard for our money. We don’t want to feel like someone is getting over on us or taking advantage of us when we do decide to invest...especially when the sellers only concern is getting paid rather than focusing on client/customer satisfaction. I will be sure to discourage anyone I know from being tricked into buying this product!!

Original review: May 15, 2020

My Kirby has really good suction.That's why bought it after comparing it with vacuums. I have both pets and stairs and needed something that would work for both. I've needed only minor repairs since buying it. The bag is easy to remove and replace.

Original review: May 8, 2020

This is the king of vacuums. It handles small linoleum up to carpet cleaning large carpeted areas. Love this vacuum, made a mistake and purchased a Dirt Devil when a 30 year old Kirby had to keep getting bearings replaced and I could not afford to replace it. I later was able to finance a new Kirby so the Dirt Devil that was not a good vacuum cleaner at all went into the dumpster and I have had the new Kirby for 14 years now without any service needed on it whatsoever and it works as if it were new! Will never own anything but a Kirby!

Original review: May 8, 2020

Expensive in the beginning but last forever and it can be renewed or repaired. Does a good job of cleaning on all surfaces and is self-propelled. We have ours for twenty years and other than changing the bag we've only replaced the power cord drive belt and roller brush. I have no expectation that it will not work and if it does, it can be fixed.

Kirby author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

The Kirby Company is a division of the Scott Fetzer Company, which was founded in 1914. It is named after Jim Kirby, who designed the company's early vacuum cleaners.

• Scheduled demonstrations: Potential buyers can schedule demonstrations to help them decide whether they want to own Kirby vacuums.

• Useful tools: Kirby home care systems have tools that let them convert into everything from air pumps to carpet shampoo systems.

• Customer service: Kirby offers a wide range of customer services, including online how-to videos and phone support.

• Limited warranty: All Kirby vacuums come with three-year limited warranties.

• Maintenance services: Rebuild and maintenance services are available to lengthen the life of Kirby vacuums.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Company Information