2. Homeowners

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.78/5
Based on 1,311 ratings

For nearly one-hundred years, The Kirby Company has manufactured superior, American-made home cleaning systems. Kirby does not sell directly to the public but continues a long tradition of distributing its home cleaning systems through independent distributors, who are responsible for running their own businesses. Over the years, this distribution system has afforded thousands of men and women the opportunity to live the American dream of owning and operating their own businesses.

Experience has taught us that customers prefer to try our premium cleaning systems in their own homes before purchasing. Customer satisfaction is our top priority. If customers have any questions or concerns regarding the in-home demonstrations of Kirby cleaning systems or the cleaning systems themselves, please email us at consumer@kirbywhq.com, or call us at 800-494-8586, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., EST.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby Vacuum Cleaners?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2021

If you appreciate a well built, engineered product and never plan on buying a vacuum again for the rest of your life, then a Kirby is for you. My Kirby has the power to literally lift my rug off the floor, it makes our lesser plastic vacuums look pathetic in terms of suction and air volume. Nothing cleans like a Kirby.

While it looks heavy, in reality it is made of cast aluminum and is light.. a little Noxon metal polish takes care of outward blemishes and the self propelled transmission makes navigation easy.

Original review: May 8, 2020

This is the king of vacuums. It handles small linoleum up to carpet cleaning large carpeted areas. Love this vacuum, made a mistake and purchased a Dirt Devil when a 30 year old Kirby had to keep getting bearings replaced and I could not afford to replace it. I later was able to finance a new Kirby so the Dirt Devil that was not a good vacuum cleaner at all went into the dumpster and I have had the new Kirby for 14 years now without any service needed on it whatsoever and it works as if it were new! Will never own anything but a Kirby!

Get buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 7, 2020

Our Kirby is a really solid product. The suction of this vacuum is the best we have ever seen. It's amazing and there's an attachment for everything. We use mainly on hardwood floors throughout our home. When we want a REALLY thorough cleaning we use it for under beds and furniture. It's amazing how powerful it is. The Kirby's bag has multiple layers and no dust escapes out of it. Our Kirby rolls easily and has a light that helps spot dirt or dust. The only downside is it's a bit noisy.

Original review: April 27, 2020

I got my Kirby over 30 years ago as a present from my mother-in-law over 20 years ago. I've had many vacuums that I purchased in over 40 years of my marriage. All the others fell apart or broke down while my Kirby keeps on going. The attachments are very sturdy. Although new replacement parts are made from a hard plastic the older attachments were sturdier, they were more flexible not so stiff. I noticed that the stiffer replacement parts, due to less give, crack easier. I have hard floors and it's great on the floors, when I had rugs the rug cleaner shampooer attachment cleaned the rugs well. Upholstery attachments work really well. I love my Kirby. It's really sturdy. It's heavier than a lot of other vacuums. That's because it has a great motor. I believe that's why it has lasted so long.

Original review: April 25, 2020

I was buying a new vacuum every few months since the ones I was getting before were always breaking. I would try new brands and always had to get a new vacuum. I had someone knock on my door one night to give me a presentation of the Kirby. I was dumbfounded by how much dirt they were picking up on each surface since I clean and vacuum daily. I couldn’t be happier about the purchase I made with them.

Original review: April 16, 2021

On March 24th 2021, a girl came to my door saying that her and her partner were new in town and have a cleaning business. Could they come clean one of my floors, no strings attached, 15 minutes tops? Sure. Then a man comes and helps another man bring the vacuum into the house. He was a nice guy, but told me he was trying to win this contest for a trip, that he was a dad with a child the same age as my youngest, etc. I bought it. $1800. Immediately regretted it. The next morning I sent the cancellation form. I also got a hold of the main headquarters to let them know my situation. I was advised to send a certified copy of the cancellation request so that I have proof that I cancelled within the 3 day cool off period. When they finally called back, the girl that first came to my door let me know that they would be here at noon on April 5th to get the vacuum.

At around 2:30pm that day I had not seen/heard from them. I called and she didn't know who I was, said they were in an accident and hung up. She called back and says, "You are in Manchester right?" No. About 150 miles from there in fact. At 5:00pm they come and she tried to get me to keep it for $1000. Oh wait!! She says, did I say $1000? I meant $995. That $5 almost swayed me haha. The next day when I checked to see how long it might be for a refund, she tells me 3-5 business days.

That time passed, so on April 15th, I call and again she tells me, it has been sent. The bank processing times vary. I have never had much of a wait time before, so on April 16th I call to find out when the refund was sent and while ringing, he calls me and this is where I take issue. Daniel ** (manager/distributor) calls me with an attitude and tells me he has sent the refund, he does not control how fast the bank processes, he understands car issues (because when pestered as to why I didn't want it I said my car repair bill is more important) and needing the money back, but it is out of his control now. He then says he has screenshots of when he refunded. I said, great. That is all I need to know, go ahead and send me those. I hung up.

He calls me back. He tells me the bank has up to 14 business days to refund. Fine. "When did you send the refund?" He tells me had I paid in cash I could have had it in hand that day of the pick up. He also tells me most people don't buy things and change their minds. He begins saying, "I can't hear you. Must be when you hung up on me before or the phone cut out, the service got bad." I asked, "What was the date you authorized the refund?" He goes off an another tangent from when I had asked why it wasn't on the contract about specific time periods to save customers any anxiety and to save himself from uncomfortable phone calls. Every time I am now screaming into the phone, "WHEN DID YOU SEND THE REFUND?" He says he can't hear me. I said,"You can hear me," and he says, "No I can't". I reported him for this disgusting exchange. All I want is my money back and an answer from him to a simple question.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Disgusting business tactics. Their "independent" distributor harassed me for weeks so that I would allowed him to come in a do a cleaning of my house-supposedly free of charge. They said that a friend was gifting me a free cleaning. I finally accepted which turned out to be a huge mistake. He was in my home for 3 hours!!!! Over the phone they said that it would only take 1 hour and that it was not a sales pitch. After 3 hours of this, I agreed to get the vacuum, but as he explained it I could return it if I changed my mind. He made it sound as if the return period was 30 days! My financial situation has changed and I haven't even been able to use the vacuum since it's so complicated to put together!

For a company that has been around for so long, I would think that you were more responsible and honest. I need to someone to get back to me about returning this vacuum and this distributor needs to stop harassing my friends as well. My friends are constantly calling me to tell me how they won't take no for an answer! I will be putting in a complaint with the Federal Business Bureau.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

A Kirby salesman came to my house and left dirty filters all over the floor. When asked if he was going to pick those up he told me no and left. This was after writing feedback on a form. Up until this point he was polite and professional. I can provide pictures of the mess as well as the salesman and the driver that picked him up from my home. Considering the incredibly unprofessional nature of the salesman I can only imagine what the customer service with the actual machine would be like.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

This is so awkward and difficult to change the power head. I have to put it up on the counter to change it and get it on right. It does get the pet hair and dirt up, but it's not worth the struggle at all. Everything about the Kirby is time consuming and irritating to me.

Original review: June 10, 2020

A rep, from what I assume is a local distributor, called me to schedule a free demonstration. They offered to clean the floors of any room of my choice in our home, preferably the one with the highest amount of traffic, so that they could show me how well the product works. I agreed because I am in the market for a new vacuum as it appears my 5 year old Shark has run its course. I also have wanted to get the carpet cleaned in all 4 of my bedrooms but hadn’t found anyone that I felt was reasonable for a one time job.

Anyway, fast forward to today, a sales rep came to our home at the scheduled time. She was very nice and demonstrated the product very well. It took a couple of hours but that’s to be expected due to all of the moving parts and the things this system can do. We were impressed enough that we wanted to buy. She handed us a laminated sheet with the total price of $2995 and a break down for payment options then called the lady in charge. We told her that the options on the paper weren’t in our budget so they asked for our ideal payment arrangement. We told them and just like that they agreed! They even told us they’d lower the price to $1700. I was thrilled because I felt like I was getting a deal especially since I knew this particular product was used.

The rep made a statement of how they use disposable filters so that they don’t carry dirt from house to house using the bags that you would normally attach. We agreed to finance for 36 months at about $65 a month with $100 down. Everything was all good until I saw the suggested retail price on the side of the box....$1749. Ultimately, we were about to pay full price for the product. That, however, was not the problem. The issue was in the fact that I thought they were giving us a discount when in reality they were gouging the price in order to make us think we were getting a discount. Mind you, this was a used product. One that has been used probably on several houses daily for demonstration purposes and you were going to try to sell it to us for full price.

I asked the sales person why they were trying to sell us a product for $1200 more than the suggested retail price. Her response was, "My boss just tells me that we have to get paid somehow." I asked her to call her boss...the same lady who agreed to our payment arrangement terms...because I wanted to ask her myself and hear her give me that same response. She called her and it appears she may have text her prior to calling to give her a heads up but when she answered I asked her to put the lady on speaker the lady declined stating that her background was loud and I wouldn’t be able to hear her. This was funny because I felt like if the sales rep could hear her then so can I but, nonetheless, I continue to ask why they were price gouging and they kept giving me comparisons to cars and other items being sold in the store above the suggested retail price.

I proceeded to tell them that stores are not selling items for more than half of the suggested retail price. I know that this product is not even worth the suggested retail price but I hoped it would prove to be over time with a lifetime warranty. After going back-and-forth and seeing how unprofessional the lady on the other end of the phone was I decided not to move forward with my agreement to purchase the Kirby vacuum and instead opted to sign the bottom of the paper in order to cancel my agreement. I took it upon myself to also call the company that they reached out to for financing so that I could make sure they did not send me any documents or payment paperwork relating to this product. I let them know that I decided to sign the bottom of the application basically foregoing any agreements that were previously made.

I am upset because I feel like I almost made a stupid decision allowing someone to get over on me in order to fill their own pockets. And based on other reviews they make it very hard to get out of the contract even if you change your mind within the allotted 3 days. I work at a law firm that fights against this very thing...It’s unethical...It’s deceptive...It’s fraud! Times are hard enough in this current state and, as I’m sure others feel, we work hard for our money. We don’t want to feel like someone is getting over on us or taking advantage of us when we do decide to invest...especially when the sellers only concern is getting paid rather than focusing on client/customer satisfaction. I will be sure to discourage anyone I know from being tricked into buying this product!!

Kirby author review by ConsumerAffairs

The Kirby Company is a division of the Scott Fetzer Company, which was founded in 1914. It is named after Jim Kirby, who designed the company's early vacuum cleaners.

• Scheduled demonstrations: Potential buyers can schedule demonstrations to help them decide whether they want to own Kirby vacuums.

• Useful tools: Kirby home care systems have tools that let them convert into everything from air pumps to carpet shampoo systems.

• Customer service: Kirby offers a wide range of customer services, including online how-to videos and phone support.

• Limited warranty: All Kirby vacuums come with three-year limited warranties.

• Maintenance services: Rebuild and maintenance services are available to lengthen the life of Kirby vacuums.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team