1.93/5

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

For nearly one-hundred years, The Kirby Company has manufactured superior, American-made home cleaning systems. Kirby does not sell directly to the public but continues a long tradition of distributing its home cleaning systems through independent distributors, who are responsible for running their own businesses. Over the years, this distribution system has afforded thousands of men and women the opportunity to live the American dream of owning and operating their own businesses.

Experience has taught us that customers prefer to try our premium cleaning systems in their own homes before purchasing. Customer satisfaction is our top priority. If customers have any questions or concerns regarding the in-home demonstrations of Kirby cleaning systems or the cleaning systems themselves, please email us at consumer@kirbywhq.com, or call us at 800-494-8586, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., EST.

View More View More

1722 Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I've had my Kirby Sentra for 6 years now. It's the best vacuum cleaner I've ever owned. I've had every other type of big box retail cleaner - Dyson, Shark, Toshiba, Sharp, Bosch, Dirt Devil, Hoover, and every type of shop-vac imaginable - and all have worked fine, however nothing compares to the Kirby. The Kirby is by far, one of the best vacuum cleaners made worldwide.

A few notes; a brand new Kirby is like a brand new Mercedes - they're expensive brand new. If you're looking to buy a Kirby, do what I did and buy a used one from eBay or Amazon. A Kirby is not some Chinese made piece of plastic junk - it'll last a lifetime and there are thousands of testimonials to back that up. It's a solid, heavy duty piece of American made machinery and the company has been in business since 1906. The brand has an international reputation for quality and performance that is over a hundred years old - so for those that don't know the history of the company and product, it's sold on a door-to-door basis, however you can find dealers that repair them and sell used ones.

Many reviewers seem to be in sticker shock at the price of a new Kirby, but put it in perspective. An iPad or tablet computer would set you back the same amount and you'd be lucky if the thing lasted 3 years. Used Kirby's are usually in fantastic shape, however there may be one that was used by some idiot to vacuum gravel driveways, so do your homework just like you would with a used car. Once you've familiarized yourself with your Kirby use it properly - don't lug it up and down the stairs, use the proper disposable cloth bags which do an excellent job of catching dust. The suction power on a Kirby is amazing as well. Once a year, just like your car, take it to a Kirby dealer for a major tune up and cleaning. You'll be glad you did. Your Kirby will last you for much longer than any other vacuum cleaner you've ever bought. I know, because every brand of vacuum cleaner I mentioned above, I don't have anymore. They all broke.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

When my father passed away in October, I got his and my mom's Kirby Sentria. All I can say is, “WOW !! !” It puts my other upright and all others before it, to shame. And the proof is in the dirt collection bag. I vacuum 2 to 3 times a week. Other vacuum’s bags would have to be replaced after many, many uses. But when I started using the Kirby, the carpet and floors were so filthy (I had no idea), I went through 3 bags in the first use. It made me sick to know that all the effort that I had been putting into keeping my floors clean was so pointless.

I liked it so much, I have bought a second Sentria, identical to it. Not because I had a problem, but because I have a large, single story, 4 bedroom, 2800 sq foot home. My spouse helps with the vacuuming and he was having to use the POS vacuum. So, now we both are vacuuming with the same awesome machines. Are they heavy? Yes, very. I would not recommend “one” for a multi story home. Definitely, get one per floor. But hey, it’s a good thing because these beasts are all metal. There’s very little plastic to break on or in a Kirby vacuum. They are built to last generations. They have suction like no other vacuum I’ve ever used. But it’s true, they do appear be be designed for dust, dirt and crumbs only. They do not pick coins or other small plastic or metal objects. I guess Kirby doesn’t want you to vacuum up something that accidentally made it’s way to the floor. It will spit it back out. Another good thing in my opinion.

Get expert buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

Clearly the reviews other than how Kirby's are sold on here are caused from owner operator. Btw let me begin by saying we had a Dyson, Hoover & Dirt Devil and all are in our dump now. Wife had a Dyson when we married. After owning Kirby of my own for almost 20 years and using my mom's old design in the 60/70's I absolutely know the do/don'ts on them and I'll explain.

If the owners saying they don't have suction would only go to Youtube and watch vids or read how to set the machine upright, maybe even paid attention to the demonstration if they ever had one they'd know it's not set correctly so it will indeed fail to pick up dirt & small particles of paper. Its nozzle has to be set correctly or it will fail because Kirby aren't designed to just skim above carpet like a Dirt Devil, Hoover or Dyson etc.

Kirby are deep cleaning units that "when" set up right actually lift the carpet up off the actual floor in front of the suction head. So' if you don't see it lifting carpet you're not setting it right. Having said this Kirby does miss a serious step when teaching operation and so my own trial and error came into play. Missed step? Oh yes' because if you have small paper/plastic/food pieces lying all over the room then one must start with the Kirby vacuum just above the carpet like a cheap vac runs at first. This is where the above mentioned cheap vacs are set even at their lowest settings and why people "think" they clean so great when they actually miss the deep down dirt/sand that destroys all your carpet fibers over time.

Oh yes cheap vacuumed carpets look clean and you see the dirt in the canister but your deep dirt remains unless a Kirby gets it out. In truth "No" vac built today will get it all out not even built in wall vacs but nothing gets you as close to this as a Kirby. NOTHING! Now after what I call the top skimmer setting is ran, I set my Kirby to its "advertised" normal setting position as shown in the Kirby videos.

The reason for an extra step is there is no room between the roller brush and carpet for the larger pieces so it pushes them around since a Kirby actually lifts the carpet up. It's why it cleans under carpets too and others will not come close to that. So I just set mine exactly how Kirby says but I'll raise it a click or two as I encounter any larger pieces sitting on top of the carpet to allow it to pass between brush/carpet. Nothing hard about that and it makes a world of difference. Kirby must know it & should include it.

So if a Kirby working good/bad is all about the setting folks! Also there are several aftermarket bag companies selling bags too restrictive so buyer beware on your bags. Had some bad ones myself. Heavy? Not at all after learning how to use/pick it up correctly. I have 7 bad discs in my back and it's not an issue. I don't have stairs though but learn on vids how to pick one up right. It's not bad.

It's heavier built to last and have real power. Truth is lightweight electric motors have very little copper windings inside and why they simply wear out after a few yrs. Many today now use junk China copper plated aluminum winding even. This is for any electric motor btw, it need the copper to last. It's why Kirbys are passed down generations but many who inherit them have no idea how they even work and leave bad reviews everywhere and touting Dyson's rule when they don't.

They don't mention how many times the cheap vacs been to a shop or they're on their 3rd unit or motor in ten yrs. Simply stop in and ask any vacuum repair shop to see their back room you'll see what truly keeps them in business. Hoovers & Bissels but mainly Dysons line these shops. WATCH A KIRBY VIDEO OR READ UP ON THEM IF YOURS IS NOT VACUUMING, IT WILL HELP IN OPERATION. I ASSURE YOU... By far Kirby makes the best vacs made in over 100 yrs if you know exactly how to operate one. I can only hope these people never ever inherit bulldozers.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

The first Kirby my family ever purchased was back in the early 90's. I remember the vacuum salesman coming in and my dad being a bit annoyed. We had that particular one for about 10 years before he bought a new one around 2002. Fast forward to 2016. I have been through pretty much every cheaper brand of vacuum from Bissell to Hoover to Dirt Devil to Shark. I have used Dyson's at work and they don't last very long. Actually most store bought brands do not last long at all with proper care. I decided I wanted a Kirby like I had growing up. It was always reliable as actually cleaned.

I found a person selling a used one for $50 because they had just bought the newest version. The version I got was the Sentria, so not that old at all. It has been well taken care of. I got home and I vacuumed the whole house. The new bag I had put in ended up getting completely full—that's how dirty our carpet was even though I vacuumed religiously. I've had this vacuum for two years now and today I used the shampooer on a stinky rug that my dog vomited on. It cleaned it well and took the smell out. I want to now list the pros and cons of the system.

PROS: It doesn't just vacuum. You can shampoo, use as an air pump, sand things, and a ton more... Kirby's last forever. They are the Toyota of vacuum cleaners. Changing the bags are easy. Putting on basic attachments and using the regular head is easy. Finding parts is easy since you can find pretty much anything in Amazon. Great suction. Versatile. Durable (I spent the same amount of money in vacuums over a 7 yr period when I could have just bought the Kirby). CONS: It's clunky and heavy. There are tons of parts so reading the manual is a must if you want to do more than basic vacuuming. It's hard to find a system that isn't being sold by a salesman. Sales tactics suck when you come in contact with a salesperson. (JUST BUY USED AND SKIP THE MAN.)

Most of the reviews I read had more to do with the sales tactics than the actual machine. The ones where people had complaints about the machines was because they didn't want to do the work to put the attachments on or didn't read the instructions. You actually don't even have to read now. There's tons of videos on YouTube with how to use the Kirby. Overall, Kirby is a great product. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. It cleans better than store bought vacuums and it lasts forever. I'd recommend buying used or going to a vacuum/sew shop and purchasing—skip the salesman. They are independent sellers and can price things how they want.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Alright... Let me first start by saying my grandmother and my mom have both owned Kirby's. So I've heard of them and have used older models. 2 younger men came to our home, said they were just in the area and wanted to clean a room for us and that we weren't obligated to buy anything at all. Come on now... anyone that comes to your door wanting to give away free stuff or wants to just show you something is obviously going to try to sell you something. But anyway, we let them come in and do the demo. The guy that did the demo said he was new and he couldn't explain all the attachments, all he did was talk about needing to sell 14 more to win his free trip. Whatever... idgaf. I bought one anyway.

I don't write many reviews about products because I've never seen the need to. But I've read a LOT of these reviews and the vast majority of them do a LOT of complaining about the salespeople. SO WHAT!?! Those people... even if they are annoying or pushy... are just trying to make a living. The point I want to make in this review is the fact that everyone seems so concerned with how the salespeople act or what they say or supposedly lie about, that they lose focus on what the review should be about. THE ACTUAL VACUUM/CLEANER. My thoughts on the demo/salespeople wasn't great at all. The company needs to come up with a better strategy for their distributors. My thoughts on the Kirby (Avalir 2) itself. There are many pros and many cons, but to name a few...

PROS... 1. All in one. Vacuum, shampooer, carpet, hardwood, grout, tile, fans, windows, etc. With all the attachments.... anything can be cleaned. 2. Space. With it being all in one... all the attachments and cleaning supplies can be kept in 1 place, depending on your storage. 3. Its light weight movement when it's in drive... it glides very easily across carpets and floors. 4. The company will detail the machine for free once a year. 5. It does do a great job with vacuuming and shampooing. It wasn't at first but after a few YouTube videos... I found out that I wasn't taking and putting the attachments on correcting (green to green, red to red) and the belt wasn't letting the rollers move. 6. Warranty.

CONS... 1. It's heavy, I didn't weigh it but I watched a YouTube video of a guy putting it on a scale and it weighed 22.6lbs. It's interesting that it can be so heavy yet move so easily. 2. Having to take it apart and back together for different areas or attachments. (BUT I will add that it gets easier once you learn how to use it properly it doesn't take as long and doesn't seem as overwhelming.) 3. The price!!! 4. Bags. This is the first I've owned that needed bags and I'm not fond of that but it's easy to replace and they aren't expensive. (And for those reviews that complain about the bags being $10-13 each... who buys a 1,500-2,000 vacuum that doesn't have the 10 bucks to spare every few months. It's like buying a 50k car and then complaining about needing to spend 30 bucks on an oil change.)

5. Wear shoes while using it. I can't count how many times I've backed it up right into my feet. I've never done that with other vacuums but for some reason I do with this and it hurts... lol. Basically... just like with anything, the Kirby may or may not be for you. I'm keeping mine. I love it. But I can see why some others don't like it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby?

Original review: May 8, 2019

I have had a Kirby for over 30 years and love it. I would use no other vacuum. My grandmother had a Kirby while I was growing up and loved it. I agree with other reviews that if you learn how to use it you would love it too. Remember to push to lever with “D” on it and it just glides across the carpet. My Kirby picks up every little thing, even on tile and hardwood. On carpet it does wonderful, even little threads are no match for my Kirby. Love It!!!!

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Charlene, we are so thrilled to hear about your experience with your Kirby! Thank you so much for sharing, and happy cleaning!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 28, 2019

First off. Let me start by saying I am a disabled 51 year old grandma. I live in a college town and when someone was banging on my door this morning at 9amish I saw a young college looking kid standing there with an umbrella. On both sides of me, my neighbors are college kids. I thought it was one of them coming to borrow something as they sometimes do here and there. Even though it is April, we were having a snowstorm today, and the guy was standing there with an umbrella and I said, "OMG. Come in!"

He handed me a bottle of Gain Dish soap and said, "Are you an honest person?" I laughed and said, "Yes I hope so!" For a moment I thought one of these kids must of borrowed dish soap from me and I didn't remember. So the guy goes, "I'll be right back," and quickly leaves. I was so confused. Then a different young man comes back. He said he was 21 and trying to sell vacuums. I said, "Oh I dont have any money, I live on disability." He said, "It's ok, if you just allow me to do the demonstration I'll get $50." So I say ok, thinking it will be some fifteen minute thing and I will have helped someone.

So the kid comes in and starts talking then started to gag. I was like, "Are you ok?" He says, "Yes. I just have stomach problems." He continues to keep talking but keeps gagging. It was so strange. He eventually uses the bathroom which I offered a couple times because he looked like he was going to be sick. I give him some water then some juice as he said they were in Chicago the night before on a business trip and they haven't eaten since. I felt bad. This kid hadn't eaten anything.

Well a good hour and a half later he's still trying to sell me this vacuum. I tell him my dog is having surgery on Monday and that will the last of anything left on my credit card, I simply don't have money. He then makes a phone call to someone and is saying, "She doesn't have money cuz of her dog," and the guy on the phone hangs up on him. So now I realize the guy who dropped him off has left and this guy is just sitting here at my house. I'm sick and just want to go lie down but now I have this young kid stuck at my house in a snowstorm with nowhere to go and he's sick too. So he asks if he can just sit on the couch and watch tv with me.

So as we awkwardly sat there the boss finally calls back and seems like he's giving this kid a hard time. I honestly felt really bad for this young guy. I mean I'm sure he didn't want to be stuck sitting there with me as much as I didn't want to be stuck sitting there with him. So his boss is telling him to ask me all these questions. Dumb pushy questions that are so obviously insulting and rude. He hangs up again and then a bang on my door and some new guy walks in. This is the third guy now that has just come into my house. He starts yelling and running around the house saying, "Look at this dirt, look at this filth" (talking about the dirt that was on the white paper things that they collect when vacuuming.)

He says, "Would you want your kids or grandkids to be playing in this filth?" He made me so nervous like he was yelling at me that I was disgusting or something. I was getting scared. He then started saying all these things like if I can put away four quarters in a coffee can a day that I could afford this vacuum. He totally did not care that I was sick, on disability, taking care of two blind animals, my dog and cat and one other sick cat. He just kept cutting me off and saying how dirty it was and that I was making a choice to live in filth. (This little house I live in was completely remodeled just a couple years ago and nothing is old, dirty or gross.)

The young kid kept gagging randomly throughout this whole time, he was clearly sick and I hope I don't catch anything! So then the guy starts running around my house again, and he's like, "Let me clean up these paper things" that they gathered from vacuuming up dirt. And he's like, "Where is the garbage can." I said, "Right there next to the fridge," I'm in a tiny house that the living room and kitchen are kinda one big room. He is like, "Is that a garbage can or cat litter?" I'm like, "I don't think cat litters would be four feet tall," like wtf. He was so weird!

So then he's like, "Let me put the vacuum and steam cleaner way." (They had gotten all my stuff out of the storage room to compare.) He kept calling my steam cleaner old even through I just had bought it a couple months ago. So anyways, he puts the steam cleaner away then says should I put the vacuum cleaner away too? I'm thinking, "Well obviously since you guys came here and pulled all this crap out you should now put it away." But I didn't answer quickly and he said, "Ok if you don't want me to I won't" and just left it sitting there.

So finally after an obnoxious two hours at least, they leave. I was honestly scared they were not going to leave. I am even nervous writing this review and double locking my doors now. It was a scary experience. When the third and last guy that came in finally left, I said quickly to the young 21 year old, "Get a different job." He said, "See what I have to deal with" and left.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Lisa, we are very concerned with your experience with an Independent Salesperson. While The Kirby Company is not affiliated with the agreements of the distributorships, we take matters like this very seriously. Could you please give us a call so we can gather a few more details to look into this? We appreciate your time and look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I own a Heritage II Legend and it still runs like it was built yesterday. The G series need transmission repairs but the motors won't die. The side vent on G series blows too hard. I'll only use a Kirby.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Donald, we are so happy your Heritage II Legend is running like new still! Happy cleaning!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 16, 2019

I fell for the same sales pitch that apparently works so well on gullible people. As such I traded in my Dyson to get a discount form the inflated price of the Kirby. The Kirby cost more than double what I paid for my Dyson and I so wish I had never made the switch. I put the Dyson through hell and it never broke or disappointed me at all. The Kirby, on the other hand, has had a broken power switch for 90% of the time I've owned it. It now sits in a closet as a reminder to be a smarter consumer.

One might well ask "well why didn't you have it fixed?" That's a great question. I live in Maine (where Kirby somehow easily found me) but there are no Kirby repair centers in my state. I contacted the Kirby Support Team who's only suggestion was to bring it to the nearest Kirby Repair facility to get it fixed at my own expense. (The repair facility said that it would be a minimum of $100.) So I'd have to spend roughly $200 in travel and repair costs (not to mention my time) to get it fixed. So in an attempt to offset my losses I now own a $50 throw away vacuum cleaner. Don't buy a Kirby!!!

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Jack, While The Kirby Company is not affiliated with the agreements of the distributorships, we greatly appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Thank you for your time and writing a review to provide us some insight.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 3, 2019

A young lady came to my door and begged me to do a demonstration. She was new here, from Arkansas and desperately needed to make her numbers. Being a single mom, I said she could clean one carpet. Then it went to hell. She then went and got a guy from her car and I was instantly uncomfortable. Then she left him there! I kept saying I needed to go get my daughter and he said she would be back soon. Three hours later he calls his supervisor and his supervisor keeps telling him to ask me questions. Finally when I agreed to hear the sales speech did the supervisor agree to come over and pick up this guy. But then I couldn't get them to leave. They made all these statements like, for just a $1 you can try it for a month. You have an entire month to return it if you don't like it.

Kirby is a family company, they want you to like the products. So desperate to get them out, I said yes, and gave them $1.50. I followed all their instructions on returning the vacuum. The vacuum doesn't even work anymore! It smells like burnt rubber and turns off after just a couple of min. The receptionist at the main office told me to return the bottom of my contract and write out why I was returning and someone would come pick up my vacuum.

After two weeks, nobody came and I called back and some visiting manager told me I signed a contract and there was nothing they would do. I told them the contract even says "oral notification of cancellation rights". He was extremely rude and basically hung up on me. From then on it has been nothing but hell. I have exhausted every resource trying to get them off my credit. The company even changed its name because it had so many complaints. The creditors call me at all hours of the weekend and talk down to me. I have called the BBB and legal aid and have no idea what else to do. I am a single mom and don't have the money to fight them in court and now my credit is ruined.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Telle, We are very concerned with your message. While The Kirby Company is not affiliated with the agreements of the distributorships, we take matters like yours very seriously. Could you please give us a call so we can further assist you? We look forward to hearing from you!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 2, 2019

I own a Kirby and when I bought it, I wanted to buy into the idea that these vacuums are made here, by Americans and sold by the underdog that lives in my community. I paid around 1000$ for this idea believing that I was buying a superior product... I now had my Kirby for less than five years the Kirby vacuum doesn’t want to stay on anymore. I called the Kirby company to find out that Kirby is a company that manufactures vacuums, and a 1000$ vacuum made by them is only good for a 3 years warranty... Hmmm this right here shows you how much they believe in their product. I was told by the Kirby company that was normal wear and tear and Kirby referred me to a local shop so I can get it fix at my cost.

Now brace yourself, I use this vacuum in my house 3-4 a month, and I will use it maybe 2-3 times a year to detail the interior of my car, so there is no overuse here. Well when I looked for a new on/off switch for a Kirby vacuum I about pooped myself! A on/off switch is around 50$ folks and that not even installed! So we are paying 50$ for a on/off switch that can only withstand 300-500 uses?!? My light switch cost less than a 1$ and as been is use since 1968 with not issues!!

Kirby then will tell you that they will rebuilt your vacuum too! The only thing is that you have to pay for sending it, that’s a 120-140$ round trip, oh and let’s not forget the rebuilding fee which does vary depending on which system you own... mine is is 178$. So, just with these 2 charges I could buy 2 spanking new vacuums that are just as powerful if not more than the Kirby with lifetime warranties!! I hope my review can save a least one person from ever buying this waste of money of a vacuum. Kirby will need to evolve if it wants to survive, the word is out and the reviews are low! If they don’t step up and start paying attention they will lose it all.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Sebastien, While The Kirby Company is not affiliated with the agreements of the distributorships, we take reviews like this very seriously. We appreciate you sending us your feedback about your experience.

Original review: March 31, 2019

I have owned my Kirby vacuum since 2000 when I purchased it new. Yes, it is not cheap but it is worth the money if you have allergies. I still use my vacuum cleaner all the time. The vacuum has a self propelled option by clicking the foot pedal. My allergist doctor also said that it is a get vacuum for me to have due to the HEPA filter.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Allison, thank you for your awesome review! We are so happy to hear about this experience with your Kirby, and glad your also doctor gave it the stamp of approval for your allergies!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 29, 2019

Last night around 7pm I got a knock on the door, I open and it’s a man claiming to be part of a homeowners business and he needs an honest opinion, he then asked if I consider myself an honest person which I answered yes, and he says. "Well here’s this free Glade air freshener can compliments of my company". He asks if he can do a “free quick demonstration” and I knew immediately it was a scam. I told him I was in the middle of making supper, I literally had a butter knife with butter on it, in my hand and showed it to him, to which he says he’s just the door to door person and Shawna or Shana does the demonstrations, and wants to know if I’ll STILL do the demonstration (I assume because I’m a woman and I was the only one home, he thought I was nervous at the thought of a random guy in my home) to which I said, "No. I don’t have time".

He asks for his Glade air freshener back and I told him, "No problem, I don’t use those and I was going to throw it out anyway." (Air fresheners are bad for you!!) The more I said no, the more info he gave me, he didn’t mention till my second No that he was with Kirby vacuums which my mom made the mistake of buying back in 1996 so I knew immediately he was there to sell though he claimed he wasn’t selling anything (and he wasn’t, Shana or Shawna was). He acted all surprised when I told him no to a free demonstration and said “you don’t want a free cleaning?” I said I have a Meile (spelling might be wrong) vacuum and no. And he finally left. I can’t believe door to door sales pitches are still common, watch out especially come spring and summer 'cause that’s when they come door to door the most.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi R, While The Kirby Company is not affiliated with the agreements of the distributorships, we appreciate reviews like yours that provide us with your feedback on your experience. Thank you for your time to share your feedback.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I hate Kirby. The vacuum is decent. It does do better than our Bissell did. The Sentria 2. The salesman are sneaky as all get out. They DO NOT leave unless you buy. I had this happen before years ago. Bought one. Returned it next day. This time was different. 4 yrs ago it happened again. This time. I kept it. They trick you with dust mites. The scary horror stories and pictures of nasty bugs and sicknesses you can get without it.

This vacuum is BIG, HEAVY, Clunky, and a pain in the **. If you are not very strong. This is not for you. (They will tell you it is their lightest model) You literally have to disassemble it to switch to the hose. Which is a nightmare on its own. You have to switch to go from hard floors to carpet. You have to find the right setting for your carpet height or you will smell burning rubber. Or you will see all the dirt from your carpet bouncing out of the carpet not being sucked up. We also received the "shampooing" package. No idea how to use that. Or how you can shampoo anything with the attachments you get. You do not get a "tank" for the dirty water. We also did not receive any manuals which they said would be in the box.

One problem! You can not EVER reach them. They literally have to contact you if you want any service. Their website is a nightmare. Their auto payment set up is a headache. The belt set up is horrible! It snaps easily. The customer service is awful. Our last payment is due in a week. Auto pay. Just received a phone call. Apparently we are "11 days" late. Yet... no notice and we are set on THEIR auto payment plan. It was pay today or deal with the late payment consequences.

It took 4 yrs to pay it off. Keep that in mind! The other thing. They trick you by saying you get a discount because it is "their display" model. NO. They grab a NEW vacuum each time they sell one so that they can say it is the model. So that you feel like you are getting a HUGE discount. If I could rate this negative stars...it would be NEGATIVE 5+ stars. This company is not worth the vacuum. Not worth the price. Not with the hassle or headache. Not worth the hit to your credit.

It isn't so much the salesman's fault. It is after all their job. Cannot really knock a person who is actually trying to work. But, this company is 100% garbage! If you do decide to buy a Kirby keep these things in mind. MAKE SURE YOU DECIDE AN OWNER'S MANUAL! I hope this review has helped. Whether you decide it is the vacuum for you or not. Just keep all things in mind. T.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Tiffanie, we are deeply concerned about your experience with your Kirby. While The Kirby Company is not affiliated with the agreements of the distributorships, we take these matters very seriously. If you'd like more help with your Kirby and for us to address more of these questions/concerns, we would love to assist you. Please give us a call. Thank you!

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: March 28, 2019

I had a lady come to my house and gave me 4 hours pitch on the great vacuum cleaner and all the things it did. I was impressed with the demonstration but I was not looking to buy a vacuum any time soon. Especially one so heavy and expensive. She kept insisting and telling me all the things that a salesman would say, and to put the icing on the cake the last thing she did was telling me that if I purchased the vacuum I was going to have my house cleaned once a month for the next five years. They would come and vacuum the house and every 6 months they would do a thorough cleaning including mattress and ceiling fans...shampooing the carpets, anything the vacuum would do. That caught my attention.

Getting too old to do this on my own, that was the bait...and believing her I acted in good faith and paid her in cash the amount of 2,000.00. Yes, naive and stupid, guess that happens when you get old. Don't know if the agreement is no longer valid, or she left the company without letting us know. The phone calls are unanswered and that is that. Perhaps my mistake besides trusting her was paying that amount of money in cash for something that was too good to be true. There were a few skipped months last year, but this year, January was skipped, and now March, no answer either and no show. The vacuum? Just another overpriced, heavy vacuum that Works well, but so many other less expensive.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Gloria, we are deeply concerned about your experience regarding a Kirby Independent Salesperson. While The Kirby Company is not affiliated with the agreements of the distributorships, we take these matters very seriously. Would you please give us a call so we can further assist you in your questions addressed in your review? We look forward to hearing from you and appreciate you reaching out! Thank you!

Original review: March 28, 2019

We just had purchased a Kirby vacuum system worth 3500 USD/13500 AED here in Dubai UAE after a grueling 4.5 hours of sales pitching from their sales agent. We had repeatedly say NO to their sales agent as we don't have money but ended up purchasing by their sales tactic of one time big time promotions etc. However after 2 hours we had thought that we made a terrible mistake by purchasing the expensive item and immediately called up their sales agent and as well email Kirby company for return. However they said that once the item is sold it could not be returned back and they were hiding under UAE the consumer law that that we can only return item if it's faulty as per signed contract.

We had filed a complaint at Dubai Economic Development Customer Protection (DED) and to make the long story short Dubai Government instructed them to cancel the contract and have the item returned. The Company rep was insisting that we had signed the contract under UAE law but gladly Dubai Government looks after the welfare of the consumer. Now item had been happily returned to them and we had vowed not to entertain sale rep from this Company. So to all UAE residents that had opted to return the item immediately lodge a complain case at DED.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Camilo, we are sorry to read about your experience regarding a Kirby Independent Salesperson while trying to return your Kirby. While The Kirby Company is not affiliated with the agreements of the distributorships, we take these matters very seriously. Thank you for providing us with this feedback on your experience.

Original review: March 28, 2019

It is so long of a story to provide details, but it is so interesting reading all of these negative reviews. I remember back in the 50s when I was a teenager, a Kirby salesman gave my dad a very difficult time when he insisted he would not buy the vacuum. Then again in the 60s one of them came to my home and tried the same gimmicks. Once again, my husband was given a very bad time when he insisted he was not going to buy that vacuum. Then jump to the 90s. I was living alone after my divorce, and I got snookered!

I finally purchased a vacuum. What a mistake. The first pitch was that a friend of mine sent them to me because she was asking them to clean the carpet in one of my rooms as a gift. I thought that was a bit odd, since I really didn't know her that well, but they came in and "cleaned" the carpet. Lousy job. I bought the shampooer to go with it, and that shampooer was worthless. Then I realized that I had purchased a used vacuum, probably one that had been used many times for demonstrations. I know. I've always been a bit gullible. I went through hell trying to get some compensation. I finally gave the vacuum to the local Salvation Army store. This company has been using these tactics for YEARS!! And I have been warning people about them ever since! NO VACUUM CLEANER IS WORTH OVER $2,000!

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Elizabeth, While The Kirby Company is not affiliated with the agreements of the distributorships, we greatly appreciate your feedback on your experience. Thank you again for reaching out and providing feedback on your experience.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: March 24, 2019

A lady was in the neighborhood passing out fliers stating she was new in neighborhood, moved in around the corner and started a new carpet cleaning business in the area and asked if we wanted our carpet cleaned for free. Stated she made a deal with the city (as a new vendor) to clean 50 carpets. Given I have pets, I said Yes. An hour later she showed back up and dropped off a guy with 2 boxes. I assumed he had the carpet cleaning tools in there. He came in, introduced himself and started assembling a vacuum, by Kirby. Maurice was his name. I said "Oh that's the catch".

I allowed him to show me the product. He explained the product detail and demonstrated all its functions as he was putting together. He did a full demo and he actually did a GREAT job. Had he had been the original person I interacted with, I would've bought the vacuum. The product itself was worth having, just not for $1800. I was very close to swiping my credit card...then I read reviews...and seen I could buy it on eBay for $900. I really like the product but the price point is high. That said, the sales lady Hannah needs more training, honesty training.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Debra, While The Kirby Company is not affiliated with the agreements of the distributorships, we greatly apprecaite your feedback on your experience. Thank you again for reaching out and providing your experience.

Original review: March 21, 2019

One day I was working out in my garage when my daughter comes to the garage and says a lady is outside. I walked over to the door and she said she has her own business. Shampooing carpets. She said, "Can I have someone come in and show you how good this machine works? We will do it for free". I said, "What is the catch?" And she said, "Nothing." I said, "Do you Guys clean car carpets?" And she said, "Yes." She also told me that they were going to shampoo my stairs, upstairs, my car for free. I said ok. So I went back to work out and they came over 15 minutes later and as I was resuming my workout they were waiting for me inside my house to finish. I told my kids, "Let them clean the carpets for free. I don't need to be there. And boy did I make a mistake by letting them in.

The presentation took like 3 hours. The guy was very pushy saying things like, "Can you afford 99 a month," I said no and he said, "Well if the rent went up here 99 bucks would you move?" I said yes. He was also saying, "Who cleans your house?" I said I do. He said, "Then It’s your choice whether you buy this vacuum and not your husband's." I said, "Actually it is. We make decisions together." I told him I hate pushy sales people. He cleaned a little stain on my carpet upstairs and that was it. He handed me the application and I told him I wasn’t buying anything. He said, "Help us. Win a trip to SF." I said, "What do I win?" He said we win a trip. He ran my husband's credit and my credit and I told him we don’t want our credit ran because we are trying to buy a house and now it’s on both our credits.

The vacuum is nice and it cleans really well. I ended up buying the vacuum but he took the box it was in and I thought I was going to get a brand new never used vacuum and I didn’t. He gave me the used vacuum from other houses that people didn’t want to buy and I didn’t even notice until a few days later. I have always known Kirby Vacuums to be heavy which is really annoying. I received 2 wood floor cleaners but no shampoo for the carpets and I had to buy some on the Kirby website. It took about 1 month to receive.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Angelica, we are concerned with the experience you experienced with an independent distributor. Could you please give us a call so we can gather more information to further investigate and assist you? We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 18, 2019

After reading other reviews about the Kirby company I was so happy I didn't fall for misleading sale pitch at the end. It was a Sunday, my husband and I was relaxing watching TV. A lady knocked on the door and promised that she wasn't here to sell anything. She was an intern and needed to ask some questions about Glade air freshener. I'm not sure why I opened the door but next thing I know she was in my house.

She says, "We're just going to show you something and at the end you tell us a yes or no..." Ok. Well here comes a guy with this damn vacuum... says he wants to clean our floors. Um ok, knock yourself out. HE WAS HERE FOR 5 HOURS! Our only day we have together as a family, and he would not leave! My husband left and stayed in the bedroom throughout presentation after the gentleman won't take no for an answer. He told me all this awesome stuff this vacuum can do and "how dirty my house is" "you don't want your family breathing this stuff in" making me feel like my housekeeping was a failure. I told the gentleman we really couldn't afford it and I couldn't justify to my husband spending that much on something like this. Well he got down to $40.00 per month full cost $999. I didn't buy vacuum and I'm so happy especially after reading all the the reviews. Please don't let anyone from this company in your home.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Jennifer, we are concerned with the experience you experienced with an independent distributor. Could you please give us a call so we can gather more information to further investigate? We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Salesman stayed at my house way too long but of course it was to break me down. I bought the machine months ago and have only used it twice. I hate it and of course now I'm stuck with it. Way too much work in switching everything around. Complete buyers remorse! Should never have let him in my house and definitely should not have let him take my reliable Hoover. This machine is extremely heavy and does not have the ease of use the salesman said it does. I can't say enough how angry I am with myself that I paid so much money for something I'll never use. Of course I can't return it since it's longer than 3 days so I am stuck with it.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Diane, we would love to help you understand and use your Kirby system more so you get the best use for it in your home. Please give us a call so we can further assist you. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 13, 2019

This is long... But so was my stupid meeting with this man. First off, I want to preface that I did NOT purchase a Kirby vacuum, but I had a less than comfortable experience with the salesman that came to my door. Not less that 10 minutes after I got home from work, I got a knock on my door and it was a woman. She asked me how I was doing, told me her name and that she was asking neighbors questions. She asked if I have received a gift today and handed me a trial size of hand sanitizer. I took it and she immediately walked out of my door, saying she was going to let her boss know that I was willing to talk to them. I was confused, but continued. She came back with a gentleman that had two large boxes. They both walked in and the woman said that she was going to let him talk to me because he was much better at it. Okayyy, whatever I guess.

So he starts unboxing and asking if I have heard of Kirby, I say yes I have somewhere but cannot recall where. He explains how long they have been around, asks me what kind of vacuum I have and continues on about his "demo". Mind you, I had no idea this was going to happen, they just sort of rushed me, but it was my fault for letting them in.

He makes a lot of small talk while taking all of these pieces out and assembling them. Speaking to my 5 year old son, talking about and showing me pictures of his daughter, asking what I do for work and saying he was in the military and had been overseas, blah blah... So he finally gets it all put together and has me use my vacuum then goes over it with his. I kid you not... This man vacuumed just about everything he could! Hardwood, carpet, ceiling, bed, pillow, stairs, windows, drapes, blinds, lightbulbs... Talked to me about shampooing, cleaning and waxing my car, being a snow and leaf blower, HE SAID IT ALL!

We finally get to talking about the price and he starts off with saying it would be $61/month for 36 months. I do some math and realize that is almost $2200 (that is after I get the military discount and am not nor do I know anyone in it, the police discount and am definitely not affiliated with police, the homeowner discount which I told him I am renting, as well as discounted for turning my other vacuum in). I'll admit, it was an impressive piece of equipment... But that much for a vacuum just did not sit well with me. He then said he could get it lowered three to four different times. I told him that I wanted to talk to my boyfriend before making that large of a purchase. He asked who does the cleaning me or him, who would pay for it me or him, and just made me quite uncomfortable.

After TWO HOURS, I finally got him out of my house and let him know my boyfriend would be home in about an hour (which I lied about) and I would talk to him and give him a call. He even offered to wait on my porch... How nice of him... NOT! I was finally able to relax after a long day of work (or so I thought), and got in the shower. AS SOON AS I got out, he was knocking at my door again, saying his boss lowered the price and didn't want me to miss this because he just really doesn't want me using my old one anymore and it's a great deal. I told him, again, I wanted to wait. He said when will my BF be back, I said I don't know. I also told him that I wanted to research the reviews and would call him when I could purchase, even if it means I miss the deal.

Another 30 mins goes by and he is KNOCKING AT MY DOOR AGAIN saying they lowered the offer even more. He said I could just start the paperwork so that I do not miss the deal, and decide upon it later. Plus, there was a two week return policy. I was intrigued, I admit. So I mistakenly let him in again to talk through his offer. First thing he said when he sat down was... "So I just want to make sure you are ready because once you sign here, it is yours and you own it." I said, "Sooo I don't have time to think about it?" He said no. Not sure what changed in those three seconds, smh! He also said he wanted to check on the return policy to make sure it was two weeks. Lord.

He "calls" his "boss" to talk through what they can do for me and the final offer they presented me was the full price would be $1099. He was literally repeating what someone on the phone said, verbatim, pausing after every 2-3 words. It was so awkward. At this point, I am getting online and checking reviews and he is still talking and asking me questions... He repeats whatever I say back to the OZ on the phone and comes back with another choppy response. I am absolutely not buying at this point. He asks what I am looking for online and I tell him reviews, prices, etc. He tells me that if I find any online it is likely stolen. LOL, right.

I start standing up to try to get him out and he is still sitting down... I tell him I need to wait for my BF to see this if I am going to be paying $1100 and he still tries to weasel me into it! I want him GONE. I finally get him out after another 45 minutes and he said he will come back in a half hour. I said NO, I will give you a call. I think he must have known I saw something I did not like online, because he finally left me alone. If he comes back today, I am going to have my 6'5" 250lb boyfriend give him a large piece of his mind! This is NOT okay for them to keep doing, especially after he assured me he was not trying to pressure me to buy and gets paid for the demo. I am SO glad I did not buy this, and I may just go and get me a very nice $200 vacuum just because. :)

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Cesalie, we are concerned with your experience with an independent distributor. For us to further assist you and gather more information, could you please give us a call. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Two days ago, I answered a knock on my door. He introduced himself and said he was cleaning carpets in the area. He said he would like to clean a carpet for me at no charge. I asked if he was from a carpet cleaning company and he said no. He's from Kirby. He practically begged me to let him in to clean my carpet. He said he gets paid for every carpet he cleans and that I would be helping him to earn a paycheck. He promised no sales pitches. I showed him the 3 x 5 carpet I wanted cleaned. My first mistake was allowing him in my home. Trying to get him out was another completely different story. I told him straight out I wasn't buying. I said I need a vacuum cleaner but in no way am I buying one on the spot with researching it. He continued to take each piece out, explain its purpose, connect it to the device, etc. I had a price of $495 in mind. That was the most I was going to spend on a new vacuum cleaner.

When he told me this machine was $2,000.00, I think I laughed. Then during the demonstration he kept talking about how the company was going to send him to Anaheim to Disneyland if he sold six units. And of course he sold five. So, I would be his sixth unit. I said I am sorry. I am saving to take my grandchildren there as well. If I purchase this I may never get there. So, he runs the figures. The price drops to $1499.00 plus taxes. I think I laughed again. He then dropped some salt on a box and placed another box over the salt and used the vacuum cleaner to suck the salt up. He used different filters. He knew what to use a black filter on vs his white filter. Whether demonstrating on a hardwood floor, carpet, or walls and vents. I told him I wasn't buying the unit.

Now the hard sell comes. "Can you afford $1.00 day," he asked me. I said, "Most certainly." He said he could finance it over several years so it wouldn't cost me more than $1 a day. I said it would upset me to see a bill for a very expensive item come in month after month and year after year. I have enough to deal with seeing my mortgage payment. Again, he runs the figures. Now I see him eyeing things in my house. He liked a painting, a statue, etc. He offered to reduce the price further if I would part with some of my treasures. If I purchase this unit right now, not tomorrow, but right now, he can sell me this demo model for $1299.00. Minus my paintings, a figurine, etc.

By the way, I was promised a lifetime guarantee; that Kirby supposedly stands by their product (which from what I researched is false). (I still have my hoover canister which is now 20 years old and never had a problem with it; I think I paid about $249 at the time). I told him I was happy with my Hoover. Well now he offered to reduce the price again if I traded in my hoover. I saw his face getting red in anger that I wasn't buying this unit. I felt his tactics getting more aggressive with his comments. His final pitch was that I'd get the Avalir with all the extras for only $908.00. And, he would get his trip to Disneyland. A win-win for both of us!

Not so fast! I said, "Does that price say $495.00." If I were to purchase a new vacuum, that would be all I would budget for and at that price it would have to cook me dinner. So he cleaned the carpet he had been standing on; NOT the one I asked him to clean, and continued. Now he asked me, why won't I buy this? Why won't I buy this unit and help him get to Disneyland. Pressuring me by saying things like, "You really never intended to buy this unit. (I told him straight out I wasn't buying it). Why? I said I am saving for a trip for my family to take to Disney. If I buy this it will just set me back that much more.

He finally finished his demo of this Avalir. Four hours of my life was wasted putting up with this bullying, guilt-tripping, aggressive sales pitching pressure. FOUR HOURS! It took him five minutes to run that machine over the carpet he was standing on. Ultimately, I did not give in to his bullying me. Do NOT let these people in your home. Go to Craigslist. All the unhappy buyers there are unloading them for under a hundred bucks.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Debra, we are deeply concerned about your experience regarding a Kirby Independent Salesperson. While The Kirby Company is not affiliated with the agreements of the distributorships, we take these matters very seriously. Would you please give us a call so we can further gather information on these salespeople you interacted with to further investigate? We look forward to hearing from you and appreciate you reaching out! Thank you!

Original review: March 12, 2019

Contacting and flirting wife after sale. This group from Maryland came to our home. During the sale my wife contacted me (I work out of town). She needed a new vacuum and so I said sure. Well about three weeks later Mike one of the sales reps contact my wife and asked her to call him some time to chat. She of course thought it would be the lie by but no he wanted to see her again. She said no. So he started texting her selfies and such. Very unprofessional. Don't let these people in your house.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Rich, we are concerned with the experience your wife experienced with an independent distributor. Could you please give us a call so we can gather more information to further investigate and assist you? We look forward to hearing from you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 1, 2019

My mother had a Kirby sales person come to her door in a neighborhood where solicitation is strictly prohibited. That didn’t stop them. They sold her a Kirby for over $800 more than the price I could find the same one for online with all of the same attachments. We had to file a small claims lawsuit against the company selling them to get them to negotiate with us and refund $600 of the $1400 they charged for the vacuum and shampoo attachments but we had to return those attachments. If Kirby comes to your home, they are trained to be extremely pushy and will try to rip you off. You should threaten to call the police if they won’t leave your property the first time you ask them to.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi J, While The Kirby Company is not affiliated with the agreements of the distributorships, we take these matters very seriously and appreciate your feedback on the matter. Thank you for your feedback.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I got a phone call from Bright and Shiny saying that they will come out and clean my carpet for free. I asked if they were selling anything because I was not going to be buying anything. The lady on the phone stated, "No. It is just to get their company out there by word of mouth," a young man came out and I told him if you're selling something you might as well leave because I'm not buying anything. The gentleman said, "No. Just here to clean your carpets," then I see him bring this vacuum out and I was like great here we go. Long story short he did his demo. I said no I'm not buying anything then his manager comes into my house and bullies me for 2 hours till my husband finally caves and gets it and we have only used it 4 times. It does not vacuum it. The belt is always burning and I have gone through 4 belts. DON'T BUY A KIRBY.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

My story is similar to many others. A woman knocked on the door saying she was in college and had partnered with a new cleaning company to get money for school. (She said she received money for each demonstration she scheduled.) She said the company was just looking for exposure and an opportunity to demonstrate their cleaning services, and they would clean 2 rooms for free. I let her in, and she called a group of men to come to my house to demonstrate the vacuum. I'm going to do a lot of fast forwarding here, because they were at my house for over 3 hours. Long story short, after a lot of pressure, lies, and false advertising, I decided to buy the Avalir 2.

After using it just once and reading the owners manual, I realized I had made a mistake. Many of the features were falsely advertised during the demonstration, and I asked a lot of questions that were answered with blatant lies to get me to buy the vacuum. The vacuum has a limited 3 year warranty, not a lifetime warranty as I was told. One of the features I was interested in was being able to shampoo furniture. After reading the manual, I discovered that in order to shampoo furniture, you just spray cleaner all over it and then vacuum it once it's dry. Not exactly what I had in mind.

I was also interested in the blower feature, as I planned to use it to clean my garage. After reading the manual, I discovered the blowing feature can only be used for 60 seconds at a time and using it longer than that voids the warranty. Not as convenient as advertised. The carpet shampoo seemed to remove embedded pet smell from my carpets, but after about 2 days the perfume wore off and I realized the smell had only been masked, not removed. I thought having one machine to do it all would be more convenient, but it's actually more convenient to have multiple machines and just grab the one you need rather than having to switch out attachments.

Luckily, I was able to return the vacuum within the 3 day return window. The vacuum was picked up, but my vacuum they took for a trade-in was not returned. I have been assured that I will not be charged, but with how many lies I have been told by this company I'm not very confident that's true. In the end, I felt very uncomfortable with the sales tactics used, and I wasn't thrilled with the vacuum itself either. My old one was much easier to use, and I don't actually care if it leaves some dirt behind.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I had a knock on my door late last night by a Kirby salesman who said, "I’m here to Scotchgard your new carpet. It’s already been paid for." So since I bought a brand new home I assumed maybe it was part of what the builder does for you so I let him in at that point. He drags out this Kirby vacuum cleaner and said, "Have you ever heard of Kirby," and I said, "If I don’t known it was for Kirby I would not of let you in. I thought that the builders had sent you here." I told him I was not interested in the vacuum cleaner and he persisted on showing me this new 2019 model. He said only take 20 minutes to do that.

After telling him several times I did not want the vacuum he still proceeded to do his little demonstration on top of that he put his hose, his shampoos, his box and all his accessories to the vacuum on my brand new couch! I moved it off of my couch and set it on top of his Kirby box he proceeded to ask me personal questions where I live who’s in the military because he obviously saw the stickers on my car telling me he had military discounts, new homeowner discounts on anon, complemented me about my bedroom set and wanted to know if I was a single parent. It was all very personal and very unnerving.

I could not get that man out of my house fast enough. I cannot stand the pressure tactics. He also said to help him out because he was trying to win a trip Kirby may be a good vacuum cleaner but it’s not worth $3000 and then he tells me that he can turn in my other new vacuum and carpet cleaner and with the military and homeowner discount. I don’t to be paying about 1400 out the door box price but of course it cuts into his commission. I don’t like the persistence of these people and then if you tell them, "No thank you," they still want to bring their manager in to talk to you and get personal information. I will never ever buy a Kirby vacuum.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

We received a phone call asking us if we would like our carpet cleaned for £30, as our dog had just passed we agreed, a young lady turned up nice as pie, until it came to the buying part, my partner had enough and decided to go out, leaving me with 5 hrs of bullying tactics and she had eaten half tin of biscuits. In the end I agreed just to buy just to get rid of her, I felt violated after she left and just cried, 3 yrs later I’m struggling to pay for the Hoover it is sat in garage, don’t ever fall for the scam.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Updated on 03/04/2019: On 2/26/19 Kirby responded to my review, apologizing for the problems and indicating they were interested in correcting the situation but needed more information. On 2/28/19 I called them citing their request but was told they knew nothing about the response by Kirby. This is a clear example of Kirby trying to make themselves look good when in actual fact they have no intention of correcting the problem. (Confirmed by the following) Today I received a letter from the investigative branch at Kirby saying that since I bought the vacuum from a individual who is not a authorized salesperson (how was I to Know) because he is not a Kirby salesman.

The truth is I did not buy the vacuum from the person they named. Through my own investigation I have determined the name of the dealer/location yet Kirby denies they exist. It is further apparent to me that they will tell lies and manufacture phony evidence (the salesman they named) to save them a dollar. I notified the Kirby representative today that I intend to file suit in small claims court.

Original Review: Yes my first mistake was letting the salesman in my home to do a carpet shampoo free. After paying too much I bought the sales pitch for my wife. She has rheumatoid arthritis badly in her hands and a few months she gave up trying to use the machine and went back to the Dyson. The attachments are so difficult that I can hardly make the changes. In the 10 month of ownership I approached the company wanting to return the machine under the (SENIOR) program, When I learned that the salesman was not a legitimate Kirby representative (so they say) hence they could not help me. The bottom line is Kirby is not interested in protecting their good name, only your money. So beware!!!

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Jimmie, our apologies. Please give us a call at 1-800-494-8586. Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.

Kirby expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The Kirby Company is a division of the Scott Fetzer Company, which was founded in 1914. It is named after Jim Kirby, who designed the company's early vacuum cleaners.

• Scheduled demonstrations: Potential buyers can schedule demonstrations to help them decide whether they want to own Kirby vacuums.

• Useful tools: Kirby home care systems have tools that let them convert into everything from air pumps to carpet shampoo systems.

• Customer service: Kirby offers a wide range of customer services, including online how-to videos and phone support.

• Limited warranty: All Kirby vacuums come with three-year limited warranties.

• Maintenance services: Rebuild and maintenance services are available to lengthen the life of Kirby vacuums.

• Best for: Kirby's flexible vacuum system makes it useful for homeowners, renters, landlords and drivers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs