Kirby Vacuum Cleaners

For nearly one-hundred years, The Kirby Company has manufactured superior, American-made home cleaning systems. Kirby does not sell directly to the public but continues a long tradition of distributing its home cleaning systems through independent distributors, who are responsible for running their own businesses. Over the years, this distribution system has afforded thousands of men and women the opportunity to live the American dream of owning and operating their own businesses.

Experience has taught us that customers prefer to try our premium cleaning systems in their own homes before purchasing. Customer satisfaction is our top priority. If customers have any questions or concerns regarding the in-home demonstrations of Kirby cleaning systems or the cleaning systems themselves, please email us at consumer@kirbywhq.com, or call us at 800-494-8586, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., EST.

Compare Vacuums

Research top Vacuums recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

A gentleman and his boss came to my house. My niece referred me to them. The young guy who was showing the product was talking very fast. The other man only stayed for a few minutes. The young guy kept calling the other man every 20 mins telling him what step he'd completed. I had just came home from work and was very tired. I put $25.00 on my TV stand - a twenty and a five dollar bill. The other guy came back after a hour or so. Mind you my fiance was in the bed sleeping at the time.

I stayed downstairs with the 2nd guy while he finished the carpet upstairs. Once he was finished he came downstairs. I referred 2 people for the cleaning. I was finally able to take my shower. After getting dressed I went to put the $25.00 in my pocket and the 5 dollar bill was gone. My fiance was still sleeping. I woke him up. He didn't have the number to call the Kirby guy back to let the boss know. How petty. He was also walking around lurking. Beware. They steal.

I will skip the details of the transaction... I reluctantly let a very "nice" "student earning a scholarship and a trip which he wanted to win to propose to his girlfriend" into my home for a demo. I fell in love with vacuum and they hit me with the price of $2,995... I signed contract. After he left did research and promptly cancelled contract on time!! Side note the salesman asked if he could take the box the Kirby came in because "sometimes other boxes get damaged and they need to recycle them." Lies. I have gotten no help or response while trying to return this Kirby... I finally left a message threatening to take legal action.

Today I came home to a Kirby box on my porch. I'm guessing to return the vacuum in? Anyway listed right on the side of the box is a breakdown of the entire home cleaning system WITH PRICES!!! MANUFACTURERS SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE = $1,798.00. That's why that idiot took the box with him!!! And was careful that I didn't see it! Don't let these crooks in your home!!

My experience is like many others who have complained about Kirby vacuum salesman. A tall, very skinny ** guy came to my door on a Wednesday afternoon about 1:00pm on 6/8/16. The guy spoke so fast and handed me a piece of paper. I don't remember what was on it but he asked could he come in. I said yes. Now I was already preparing lunch for my two kids; one who is diabetic and blood sugar was low and he needed to eat. The next thing I know this other ** guy comes in and immediately starts unpacking this large box with a vacuum and many parts. He asked me have I ever heard of Kirby vacuums? I said no. He went to explain how the vacuum was created by NASA and tried to demonstrate the various parts.

The guy vacuumed small spots on my carpet leaving these disks all over floor. He made the comment that only ** people could afford this vacuum and they are trying to make them affordable to ** people. I am ** with great credit and good job. I could afford it if I wanted to. He tried to make conversation by saying he had a college degree and it took him 4 months to learn how to work this machine. I told him several times this vacuum looks complicated. I was trying to tell him I needed to feed my diabetic son but he kept right on vacuuming. I was so naive. I should have told the fool to leave. At one point, he stopped and used my bathroom. He also took the vacuum in my bedroom without my permission.

I tried to stop him but he right on saying the dust on those stupid disk were dust mites and dead skin. I had bought this bed two months prior. He even got on his cheap phone with boss and tried to get me to agree that I liked the vacuum. He lied to his boss about how many disks he used. My BF walked in during the demonstration. He was weak and liked the stupid vacuum. My Bf said these were the guys that had came before but I was in bed and had to go to work that night. When the guy was finished in the bedroom, he went back to the living room and started talking price of $2699 and then started shampooing a section of the living room. So my BF and I started discussing the price. The tall, very skinny guy happen to walk in without knocking and then sat on my couch without asking. He also started listening to our conversation. My BF really wanted the vacuum, I didn't.

So I said I need some time to think this over. They even said we have payment plans and came up with $90 down and $100 a month. I still didn't feel right so I said I needed sometime to think about this. The skinny guy got on his phone and then came back and lowered the price $2400. I said "no, I need time to think about this, like about two weeks." The tall guy said "this is the only day you can get it at this price." They came up with a new payment plan $40 down $60 month for 36 months. The demonstration guy immediately started filling out a credit application. The tall guy got back on his phone and came back with $2200. My BF really wanted this vacuum so I told him "why don't you get on your credit?" I'm trying to save up for a house. I don't want my credit to be ran. My BF credit is bad and wouldn't be approved.

I finally gave in and said "will you take $2000." The skinny guy got back on his phone; came back and said this price is way below our market value but you can have it for $2020. My BF said he would pay me back the $2020. I agreed but I used my credit card and signed the agreement and they left. I was told I had a lifetime warranty but there is actually a three year limited warranty.

I was not happy. I was actually pissed. My BF tried to figure the vacuum out but couldn't. So this vacuum sat in my living room untouched. I just looked at it for 4 days and I finally said to myself; something is not right. So I pulled out the contract and ready about the 3 day return policy. The guys didn't say anything about the 3 day return policy. I also looked up reviews which I should have done at first. I told my BF that I saw the vac online for $400 brand new. I told him we've been scammed.

So on day 5 immediately sent in the contract and a certified letter to LA Cleaning Systems saying if I didn't receive my money back, I would contact the BBB and the Consumer Protection Agency. I also disputed the charges with Capital One. The tall skinny guy called me back two days later saying "I thought you said you were happy with Kirby." I never said I was happy with Kirby. I yelled at him and cursed at him to come and get this POS out of my house. He went on to say he was out of town but showed up at my door about 10 minutes later. He didn't ask questions. He got on his phone and reversed the charges to my credit card and hand wrote a new agreement which I took a photo. He took this vacuum and all parts and left. I am hoping Kirby salesman come back to my home. I will slam the door in their face or play them.

I purchased my Kirby in late 2013 while my husband was deployed. We knew we were moving to Japan right after he returned, and I told the sales rep that we would not purchase something so expensive ($1300) without ensuring that the warranty would cover us in Japan. The rep assured multiple times that we would be able to get the cleaner repaired in Japan if anything ever happened to the device. After not even having it for 4 months, it started to shut itself off while vacuuming, and the front piece that holds the roller brush on would fall off the rest of the time. I contacted the company, who told me to go to a Japanese dealer and have them repair it. When I got to the dealer, he told me that he couldn't repair it, because the voltage was different.

When I told the company this, they told me I would have to send the entire device back to a company in America to get it repaired, instead of offering to ship the part needed to the Japanese company. When I went to the local post office to ship it back to the states, they told me that I could not ship it without paying for freight charges because it was outside the biggest size box they would let me use, and outside the weight allowed.

This company then pretty much told me "tough luck" when I explained the situation, and asked what they could provide to allow me and my family, who move back to the states in 2 months, to get the vacuum repaired once we get back to the states without paying $1300 again just for repairs. I was sent over to another guy at the company, about returning my device, in which I was told that they wouldn't accept my device back, as it was outside of their 3 day option. This company is an absolute joke. An outrage. How they have been able to still operate is beyond me. The way they treated me, made me feel horrible. Please, if you're considering buying anything from this company, please don't. Save your money and get a Dyson.

Approximately 8 pm this evening a man (his name was Don) and a woman came to my door asking to demonstrate a vacuum. We allowed them in because the man said "you do not have to buy", he just needed to show his boss a few pads that he had demonstrated on. A few minutes into the presentation the woman left and another man came in. After an hour I asked him to end the demo and he ignored my request and continued the demo.

After I had enough I said, "Please leave" and he started cursing and saying how I took food out of his newborn baby mouth. I was very upset and told him I was calling the police. The second guy said, "Ma'am please don't call the police. We will leave." The first guy took his time gathering his equipment. I made them take it outside to finish packing it. The white van came a few minutes later to pick them up. I could not get a tag number. I am making a complaint with the local police as well. After asking for credentials, none given but he cursed me and my husband out because he didn't make sale.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby?

I bought my Kirby G5 over 18 years ago. My ex-wife set up the meeting with sales. It was a good experience even though I thought I paid too much at the time. Looking back, I'd do again in a heartbeat. When I first bought it I lived in a 1600 square foot house, I got it because my daughter was just starting to crawl and I wanted the carpets to be as clean as I could get them. Fast forward to now: my house is 4600 square feet and my Kirby G5 is as bad ass as the day I bought it. I can't imagine what all these bad reviews are about, show me a Dyson, Shark, or Hoover that's got that kind of mileage?

Sure, I've had to make a few repairs over the years. Someone ran over the cord one too many times while vacuuming and I had to swap that out. The beater bar has been replaced once and I think one of my boys let it fall down the stairs and I had to replace a plastic piece on the handle. So? That's not even the worst of it, I've used it as a shop vac for a couple of years, until my current wife put a stop to that by buying me a real shop vac. Does anyone know how long a $200 Shark lasts? 3 years maybe? Can it suck up a penny off a tile floor? My Kirby is 18 years old and will pick up a quarter.

Yep, I got snarled in. Not only is this Avalir vacuum the worst and so insanely complicated and it doesn't even work after barely using it in a month or two but it will now ruin my credit because you cannot return it. I've driven a car longer and had an OPTION to return it. Nope, not Kirby! They will just repossess it and ruin your credit. I HATE this vacuum, the guy who cunningly sold it to me, and the Kirby company slash family, LOL. Just plain mad, frustrated, and extremely unsatisfied. Only regret and anger.

I had no problem with the salesperson cleaning my floors... a deep clean is always better for me if done by someone else. After the next few days that I used it w/in 27 days the belt broke which I could not get on by myself. I talked with the company that sold it to me. The company would not let me speak to anyone in charge. Then when I finally got to speak with someone he told me that I had only 3 days to return the vacuum. By this time I had lost it and asked “What kind of business are you that I had bought a vacuum and now before the month upon buying, you will not tell the buyer nor will you work with your customer.” He went on to say that he was well aware of my case... Looks like he had put off talking to me.

When the salesman sold this vacuum he crossed out the part NOTICE OF CANCELLATION. I actually hate this thing!!! He stated that his men would be out to fix it. No one has come yet. Now, I am still paying for this Kirby vacuum and looking to buy a brand that will stand behind its product!!! As it said if you mark below, this is saying you are not trying fix your problem so I ask you how can you fix something without talking them? I do not have an order # but I do have serial #.

I would like to start off by saying that this stupid vacuum cleaner is the bane of my existence. Here is the short version of how it came to be in my home. My husband is generally a pretty easy going guy unless something breaks in our house. Then in his attempt to fix it he becomes a very irrational version of himself and goes into some sort of trance where the only words he knows are curse words. Usually during these times, I either find a YouTube video and calmly explain to him what he is doing wrong, or tell him I'm going on a walk and that I'll be back when he's done swearing at the toilet, washing machine, crack in the wall, etc. On this particular day, the day when our 10-year-old $35 Dirt Devil finally decided to crap out, he was home while I was at work. The Dirt Devil broke mid vacuum and from what I understand, put on quite the show before it took its final dying breath.

Probably fueled by his anger at the vacuum, he decided it needed to be replaced as soon as possible. My husband is also very nostalgic and recalled his parents having a Kirby when he was a kid that was a pretty reliable vacuum, so instead of doing his research first, he, for whatever reason, decided to take it upon himself to call Kirby directly and actually invite one of their sales people into our home willingly... By the time I got home the deed was done. I could tell something was off, because he walked outside of our house to my car as soon as I pulled into the driveway and started off by telling me he had done something that I was probably going to be unhappy about.

He went on to tell me the story of how the Kirby man came over, gave the same crap story that seems to be in ALL of the negative reviews, about how he was one sale away from winning a big trip through the company and blah blah blah. While I wasn't very impressed with the stupid thing anyway, I figured it couldn't have been that expensive and if it was, it had to have been worth it or he wouldn't have paid for it.

Another thing about my husband is that he is VERY frugal. He is a saver and always thinking about having money for the future, which I actually like about him and has made me more financially responsibly myself. So when he told me the amount of money he dropped to purchase the vacuum, I almost ** myself. I mean, seriously, over 2k for a vacuum?! In what world?! Especially when you can buy a perfectly fine, well-rated, lightweight, easy to use Shark for under $200.

Anyway, I thought I'd at least give the thing a chance, since it already seemed to have cast some sort of spell over my husband. After all, it was ours now, right? From the moment Kirby and me first connected in an attempt to clean, I hated it. The weight of this vacuum alone is insane. I am a 31-year-old, fit woman, who should be more than capable of lifting a vacuum, and I want nothing to do with this Kirby. Aside from the weight, I honestly don't feel like it gives me the best vacuum experience of my life, which surely it should do for the price. We have cats, which means cat litter, and I can rub my hands over the rug in the area of a litter box after a vacuum and find several remnants of litter. I figured a 2k-3k vacuum would be able to take on cat litter and win hands down, but nope.

Then there are all of the gadgets. Who needs 25 different attachments for a vacuum and how is that convenient in any way? The "caddy" they give you to store these parts is made of cheap plastic, not sturdy and takes up a lot of space. And if you don't take off some of the parts correctly by turning off the belt, they don't work when you reattach them and have to be reset. Also, the vacuum is so bulky. It doesn't even fit under my bed, like most vacuums do. It just bangs the bed-frame, as if it's laughing at me.

There is also the issue of them promising to send us the steamer so we can clean areas of our carpet. It was supposed to be mailed within 3 business days of the sale. I think it took us about 4 months to get it, and that was after I made my husband start calling them every few days to get a status update. They kept telling us we were at the top of the list for the next shipment. I didn't understand? Do they have a factory make them hot off the press as the Kirby's are sold? When we finally did get it, they forgot to send a crucial part that is required to actually use the steam cleaner portion of the vacuum. At that point I pretty much gave up.

The thing that sucks the most is that I have to pretend I tolerate the damn thing. I know my husband feels guilty about his splurge and really thought he was doing something great for our household. I am currently working on a way to "accidentally" destroy it. Lucky for me, I am unbelievably clumsy and good at truly accidentally breaking things that are meant to be pretty solid, so I know one day I will win the war against the Kirby. My advice to anyone and everyone, is DO NOT BUY THIS VACUUM. It will come back to haunt you over and over again.

My recent experience with these independent Kirby dealers was similar to Joan of Trumbull's. This happened yesterday and I basically had to threaten the Kirby folks to leave. Initial encounter was someone ringing my doorbell. I was expecting a package and only answered assuming it would be the delivery person. It turned out to be a young lady asking if I was the man of the house and pitching a promotion for a "free vacuum cleaning service" that would "only take 30 minutes max". I told her it's been a long day and still have things to do before bed so I would only let her in if she will be done within 30 minutes as stated. She promised "it wouldn't take more than 30 minutes". I begrudgingly agreed to let her do the "promotional cleaning".

The young lady tells me she'll be right back. I didn't see her again. I was greeted a few minutes later by another young lady (going to refer to her as Lady B) and a guy instead. Here's where things went downhill. Lady B introduced herself and her sales guy (the Lackey) and left. It took the lackey nearly 2 hours to finish. Like Joan's situation, the lackey left dirty paper discs all over my carpet. He was going to put them on my kitchen table at first, but I instructed him not to. He kept trying to stall time and convince me how this vacuum cleaner was essential to my house even after my refusals every time. I told Lackey to hurry up with the cleaning and leave.

Lackey then called his "manager" after receiving his 10th or so rejection. Lady B comes back within a few minutes of this call and tried her sales tactics on me. She boasted about all her signatures and sales numbers and how she "already won her trip", but wanted to help Lackey win his "trip". I could care less about their "trips". They were taking up my time now because they went well beyond the "30 minutes" and I was getting irritated. I told Lackey and Lady B that I get up really early for work and they're putting me behind my schedule. They ignored that and went on about getting me a "good deal" that's "affordable" for me. I shot down their offers again and told them to leave. They ignored that too and tried working another "affordable deal" with me. I rejected them again and told them I was getting upset because they're now messing with my time.

Lady B explained that they could not leave until Lackey performed the "carpet washing" in my house so he'll get credit. She insisted that he needed to clean all my carpet areas in the house. I told her ** he's doing that. That would take another hour or so. She did not specify how much Lackey had to "carpet wash" to get credit, but only recommended for me to let him clean all my carpet areas. I should have kicked them out at this point, but let my "caring side" get the better of me. If all he needed to do was perform this "carpet washing" to get credit, then he can wash a small designated area of my choosing and be done within 5 minutes or so. They agreed and were allowed to do their "carpet washing", but took around 10 minutes to clean a very small portion of a corner area.

Lackey then suddenly goes uninvited to my nearby restroom and washed his ** dirty vacuum pieces in my bathroom sink. What's worse? He left a mess in there while Lady B distracted me by attempting another failed deal. I was fired up at that point and told these ** to get out of my house because they already wasted enough of my time. Lady B said I was walking away from a "great deal" many of her customers don't get. I told her I didn't care and instructed her to leave. She left, but not with Lackey. She said he'll leave when he's done packing his stuff.

Lackey took his sweet time packing his stuff and tried again to make me feel like I was losing out on a good product and a "killer deal". I told Lackey that if he wasn't out of here with all his ** within 5 minutes, he's going to regret stepping foot in my house because he was now trespassing. Lackey became more quiet, but tried making friendly conversation with me at this point. I kept my responses short and to the point to prevent further conversation. Lackey packed up his vacuum and was getting ready to leave, but I told him to pick up ALL his stuff including the dirty paper discs. He acted like it was okay to just leave those dirty things behind and I told him to grab those discs with him or I'd shove it down his throat because he already left a mess in my bathroom. Lackey grabbed his paper discs and left.

These Kirby dealers were completely unprofessional and inconsiderate. They lacked basic customer service skills and should not be working in this type of job. As a salesman, you don't go and create a mess in someone's home and not clean it up. You don't argue with the customer and you don't go to places in someone's home you're not permitted to go. If Kirby is a reputable company, people like these dealers will definitely tarnish their reputation. I was close to calling the police to get these ** off my property.

I may have considered purchasing their vacuum cleaner at a later date/time had they been professional and considerate. I'm on a busy schedule Mon-Fri and they set me back at least two hours all because I was being the considerate one allowing them to do their thing (on my time) so they could get "credit" for whatever earnings. Lackey was so unprofessional that I almost ended up attacking the guy just to get him out my house. I've always been leery of solicitors, but made this mistake by falling for their "free promotion". I will never let solicitors in my home again. There's too many possibilities that a catch is always included in their "free promotions".

I was robbed by this company. I called them within 3 days of purchase. They said they would refund my money and they never did and won't answer or return my calls. How in the hell do they get away with that. I never even got my receipt for the purchase. Wish I could see these crooked ** again.

I am living in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. One day I received a call from representative manager of Kirby products in UAE, asking me if I will authorise his people to come to my house, make a demonstration of their new product, which enquiry I afford to them. Two persons came to my home and told me that they come for demonstration. The sales director left after 5 minutes and left the other person to do the show, which started at 1:30 pm til 5 pm. After showing me the performance and the benefits of the vacuum, he called his director who joined us within minutes. He asked me about the equipment, I told him it looks fantastic, offering many options and can make life easier and more healthy at home.

He continued showing me the number of customers who purchased the equipment and who are satisfied with. And later on, he showed the price! My goodness! 12,950.00 Dirham, the equivalent of 3,532.50 USD. I apologise immediately and told that I cannot afford such a price for vacuum but he was too pushy and made a lot of proposals as well as easy instalment schedule, plus extra gifts coming with... After one hour more, he convinced me and I accepted to close the deal. We agreed that he will send me someone to teach me how to use it and to enjoy my new gadget. At night, I couldn't sleep and I felt I was scammed by the way he was pushing me to buy it, because even when I tried to get them out of my home, asking for some time to think and take my decision, he didn't give up and continued till he got what he wanted.

Next day, I called the director, told him that I don't want anymore the vacuum and asked him to cancel the transaction. He came within one hour, tried to convince me, but I was firm. However, I was seen paying 4,000.00 Dirhams equivalent of 1,086 USD, which he took cash, refusing a cheque. Finally, I lost 4,000 Dirhams but I saved 9,000 Dirhams. Now, I am confused what to do? The first thing, I wrote this comment and I will think to take any action to avoid scamming other people.

Door to door salesman gave good pitch. I now know the price of product was overstated. Started out as over 2400.00 dollars. Talked down to 1600.00 dollars. I fell for it. I am a retired employee of the Federal Government and should have known better. These people should be ashamed.

Around 7 PM, I was sitting in the living room playing some video games when I heard my doorbell ring. I have a window in the living room looking out to the front door and didn't recognize the person, but I figured I needed to see who it was as they were able to see me. A lady in her 30's told me that she was going door to door advertising a new product and that she only needed to demonstrate to one more home to meet her quota. She offered a free product in return and claimed that she would get paid for just giving a demonstration, and that she was not selling anything. I really didn't want to let her in, but I figured I would be nice and let her do her thing, especially as she said it would only take a few minutes.

She walked out to her van where she came back with a younger guy, probably mid-20's. I noticed he was dressed in a white button up shirt with a tie and black pants, and I honestly thought that they were Jehovah's Witnesses for a moment. As they got closer to the door, I saw that the box he was carrying said "Kirby". My brother had went through the same thing about a year ago and I knew the troubles he had; he spent around $3000 for a vacuum that was way too heavy, had too many attachments, and he never used it. I already decided that I didn't want it before they walked in the house.

After they come inside, she walks out to the van, where I assume she goes to get more stuff. However, she ends up driving away, leaving this guy in my house. He starts off with the whole, "I'm selling these for a trip to the Dominican Republic and I only need 2 more sales to go." I figured it was just a scam to get people to give in to buying the vacuum. He started in my living room by showing the air blower, the car shampooer, and the various vacuum pieces. He then moves on to our bedroom, where he proceeds to vacuum the bed. He tries to say that the stuff he was sucking up was dead bugs and their excrement, but anybody who knows anything realizes that it's just dead skin that is in every bed.

He then goes back into the living room, where he tries to vacuum and show the amount of dirt. He doesn't have much luck though, as I already pay to have my house cleaned weekly. About that time, the woman, which I found out to be his supervisor, and another man, her boss, shows up and let themselves in my house. He finished the demonstration by showing the sweeper attachment for hardwood floors. The top boss asks if I would be willing to purchase the Kirby if we could find a good price. I reluctantly agree, as I found some of the attachments to be handy for cleaning the cars and some upcoming projects, like painting. He goes through the list of possible discounts and finally settles on a price of $2,142.48.

I decided to take the plunge and bought it outright on a credit card, as I thought it would be a very handy device. They made sure to say that I had 3 days to return the Kirby if I was unsatisfied, but that it would cost the salesman $300 if I did. I thought to myself, whatever, that's probably his commission. That's the way it goes. They also made sure to take my old vacuum and give me $200 credit for it. Oh, and the entire demonstration took about 2.5 hours, way longer than the "few minutes" the original lady claimed it would take. Once they all left, I tried the Kirby in my bedroom and I did like the way it handled, but it was way too heavy. As I laid in bed that night, I could barely sleep as I had a great deal of buyer's remorse. I couldn't believe the fact that I spent over $2000 on a vacuum cleaner. I read reviews of other people's experience with the company, and felt that I had been scammed.

All of the experiences everybody else had were identical to mine: the "big trip" prize, the haggling of prices, just all of the same stuff. I honestly felt that if I had declined buying the vacuum, I would have received a barrage of insults like many others. I decided that I didn't care who it affected, I was taking the vacuum back the next day. It took me a while to figure out which building they were in, but I finally showed up the following day with the Kirby and full intentions of returning it and getting my old vacuum back. I walked in the door and they asked how they could help. I stated that I bought a Kirby the night before and wanted to return it. The guy asked me why I wanted to return it, in which I said that I didn't think that I needed it anymore. After that, the guy proceeded to look at me and say, "Yes, you do." I looked directly at him and firmly said that I just want to return the Kirby.

He dropped the salesman pitch, brought me back my old vacuum, and we signed the paperwork to void the purchase. He told me that they would issue the refund today and it might be a few days until the money was credited to my card. I thought to myself, they were sure fast taking the money out, but they like to take their time putting it back in. And I was right. Three days later, I called to see if they had issued my refund yet. A hateful woman answered and just said that it will take 7-10 days for the refund to hit my account, and that was the end of the conversation. The Friday of the following week, the money still hadn't been refunded. I called again, where they said that it had been submitted and the money should be in my account any day. Monday morning, exactly 2 weeks after I purchased the Kirby, the manager of the store called me and said that he didn't realize that the return never went through.

He came to my house and gave me a check for the refund, but postdated it for that Thursday, 3 days later. All I have to say is DO NOT BUY A KIRBY! The salespeople are far too pushy, they tell the same lies to try and gain sympathy from the homeowner, they sell the vacuum for many various prices, and they beat around the bush when you try to get a refund. I'm going to take the money I spent on that Kirby and put toward some needed house renovations. The vacuum cleaners may be nice, but they are definitely not worth $2000, or whatever price they try to haggle you to.

I have just read the reviews for Kirby vacuum cleaners and had no idea that people have independent owned companies. I didn't like the fact that when the salespeople call they refer themselves to "carpet cleaning" companies. Why not just say, "I'm demonstrating the latest Kirby cleaning system in your area this week and would like to show you the benefits of this all in one cleaning system, starting with your carpet!"

This is my third Kirby. The first was a Sentria II, which I will not part with. I love it! I purchased two more, two years later for family members at a fund-raiser. Now have to convince them that this is a great product. The problem lies within the lies of the raunchy sales people. Do they not understand that they are ruining the reputation of a perfectly good, overpriced product? The salespeople should be well trained in the area of selling a great product to the right demographics. I have no complaints about the product and I had two very knowledgeable, non-pushy salesman, who convinced me with their demonstrations that I want them to live with me and spring clean my whole house!

I got a call from a Kirby rep saying a friend of mine referred me for a free carpet cleaning. I should of stuck to my gut feeling and said no but I said it's a free cleaning I could use. Yesterday the rep arrived on time asking for the "woman of the house." When I told him I was the woman of the house and he laughed and said, "Boy y'all gettin' younger and younger." (I'm 26 but look 15.) He came in and said, "Hey I'ma show you my product. If you wanna buy it fine. If not cool."

So long story short he began to show me how filthy my carpet was and began to talk about dust mites and their poop, so on and so forth. He showed me all the gizmos and gadgets, and attachments. He vacuumed my floor and my floor WAS nasty I must admit. But anyway he tried to sell it to me. I declined. I told him me and my husband are trying to get OUT of debt. But he came with his tactics. "Your husband will buy a TV but nothing for your children's health?" I told him if I bought it my husband would be upset. He then said, "Haven't you pissed off your husband before? Didn't he get over it?"

I guess because I asked for a cash price he thought he had me wheeled in. He went on about this trip to Jamaica and if I don't help him he won't win. And I can't get it later because I wouldn't get a discount. He also told me he could give me the "wife alone discount." He started from 3200 dollars to 1600 dollars then he said he could hook me up for 1100. I told him, "But you sold it to my friend for 900." He said, "No I didn't. He got it for this much and tried to act like he didn't buy it for that much."

After he realized I wasn't budging he started to insult me on the sly like "Most people who don't buy it have bad credit and their floors are normally the nastiest." I asked who was the competition. He said there is none. "Of course you going to say that but who else is out here selling these glorified vacuums Mister?" After I told him it's getting late he called his loudmouth manager and put him on speakerphone. He didn't know he was on speaker and cursed. He said **. Anyway after my mind was made up he stop talking to me and I was fine with that. He packed all his ** and said, "I usually leave my vacuums. I don't know how to put it back together. We'll figure it out." He ask me when my husband would be home. I said, "A while." And I guess he said, "She is young and gullible. I'ma get her. No problem." Ha nobody bullies me into spending my money.

I felt so good seeing him leave. He was tough but I was tougher. I KNEW he bullied his way into other people's pockets not mine. I learned my lesson. NO SOLICITING will be up outside TOMORROW! Don't let these trigger-happy sales rep scare you into buying something you will regret. His name was L.T. **, older guy. Slam the door if this creep comes by.

After working a 9 hour shift at work and no more than 10 minutes of stepping in my home and sitting down, I noticed a young lady peeking in my front door. After I noticed her (she did not ring the door bell) she said "hello are you the lady of the house". She explains that she is from a carpet cleaning company (handed me a flyer) and she was out promoting business. She said the company was offering 1 room of carpet cleaning for free with no obligation to pay for anything and in the end if I like the job I can call the number on the flyer and schedule for a carpet cleaning. I told her I had just arrived home and was very tired and was not interested. She pleaded that she was a college student and that with every home that she got to sign up she gets $40 dollars. I then agreed. She goes away for about 30 minutes and brings back this guy with very bad English.

She quickly introduced us (Patrick was his name) and ran out the door. I asked her "what if I like the job do I call you" she yells over her shoulder "just talk to him". I then knew I had gotten myself into something. I looked at the box and saw Kirby and could have kicked myself. I began to tell the guy before he unloaded all the crap he had that I had a demonstration in the past and could not afford it then and cannot afford it now and I did not want him to waste his time. Patrick said "oh it's ok just let me clean your carpet". Well 3 hours later he was trying to sell me a 3500 dollar vacuum cleaner. More like pressuring me into buying one. Before walking out the door he had gone all the way down to $600 dollars for a refurbished one. I still declined. He made me feel bad about not buying one. He began to be really rude.

He said to me if I want to be a real housewife I would buy one and continued to talk crap but I couldn't understand a whole lot because of his accent. I finally just said, "look I'm not interested and I'm sorry". He says "why are you sorry I did my job. If you want your kids to be on dirty carpet that fine." I was appalled. I then apologized again and explained to him that the young lady that came to my door never mentioned he would be selling a vacuum cleaner. Never mentioned Kirby. And said that my carpet would be cleaned. He says to me "well she just gets us the appointments and she gets paid to do that, she don't care". WOW. The machine itself was very impressive but I will never buy one because of this experience. And you can't even make any direct complaints to the Kirby company. And on top of it all the flyer the girl gave me he snatches it off my table and said "you won't be needing this".

My mom is 82 years old with beginning stages of dementia and I was on the phone with her today and someone knocked on the door, she put the phone down and I heard a guy talking to her about what kind of vacuum she has currently. Then I could hear that she had invited him in and her two little dogs were terrorizing the guy as they usually do when someone comes over. I was trying to get my mom to pick the phone back up but she was off talking to this guy about vacuums. I had just purchased her a new one within the last two weeks, so luckily I live less than a mile away from her so I drove over quick to make sure she didn't buy a new one. When I got there this guy had all his stuff all over her family room. I nicely told him we can't afford to buy another vacuum and really didn't want to see a presentation on his Kirby.

He was preparing to do whatever it is they do to show comparisons. After going back and forth with this guy for over 10 minutes I asked him to please leave. We were not going to buy a vacuum from him. He mumbled something about me kicking him out because of the color of his skin, then proceeds to get on the phone and call his 'manager.' He's claiming to this person that I am being unreasonable and he has been asked to leave (yet not making any moves to do so) and then he tries to hand me the phone to discuss this with his manager. I said no and then I said you need to pack your stuff up and leave now. He states he cannot until his manager arrives. Two minutes later Manager is at the door. I explained again to this guy that we cannot afford to buy a vacuum and had no need to even see the demonstration.

I was then hit with race baiting like I have never seen before. Both the manager and the salesman started in stating that if they had been say Mormon or white they would not have been asked to leave. I was shocked. This had absolutely nothing to do with skin color. I was on the phone with my mom when he showed up I had no indication of his skin color as if that would have made a difference as I drove over to tell a salesman that we could not afford to buy a vacuum. While they packed their stuff up I had to listen to non-stop race baiting. I am so disgusted that a company would allow their salesmen/managers to conduct themselves in this way.

I wanted a Kirby vacuum because I think they are a great vacuum, but after reading all the reviews out there, I was pretty nervous about the sales process. I was very pleasantly surprised. I called Kirby to schedule a demo and I live about 1.5 hours away from their office. A very nice lady came that had worked for Kirby for almost 20 years. She was knowledgeable and pleasant to talk to. She did glance over the usual things like the vacation trip, dust mites, how bad our vacuum was (And it really was!) and dirt wearing your carpet. I believe all of those to be at least partially true. When she wanted to demo the Kirby on our bed we nicely said that we weren't prepared and she couldn't come into the bedroom. She graciously let us take the vacuum up by ourselves to vacuum the bed. It did pull a lot out of our couches, bed, and floor.

When it came to the actual purchase, my wife and I had already agreed on a price. There were no manager calls or insults, and I did not feel overly pressured. Obviously she did try to make the sale, but she was polite and I feel like she was honest. After about 20 minutes of haggling and mostly chatting, we did agree on a price and make the purchase of a "demo model with full warranty." When we were all finished I ended up with the new one for only about $25 more. I was also very polite and explained that we don't purchase on credit, and couldn't afford 2-3k for a vacuum. I also pointed out, that since the vacuum is made to last 30 years, I could purchase a used one for about $600 and maybe have it last 15 more years. Not all salesmen for Kirby are rude and try to take advantage of people. As I expected, the whole process did take about 3.5 hours including training us how to use it.

For the Vacuum, we have hardly used it much, but I think it is very good. I expected it to be much heavier than it was. We are about 30 years old and neither my wife nor I had and trouble holding it and cleaning the stairs. It was actually a little bit lighter than my 5-year-old hoover. As far as the attachments, I'm very mechanically inclined and had no issues learning how to switch between attachments. My wife is more average on the mechanical scale and just needed a few pointers to figure it out. It was NOT a heavy confusing nightmare like I'd read.

When two salespeople from Noble Industries in Grand Rapids MI talked my son into letting them into my home to do a demonstration they used carpet cleaning solution that may void my warranty without my permission even after my son told them he is not the homeowner. My attempts to resolve the issue with the manager of Noble Ind and Monica from Kirby's customer service area have gone nowhere as they refuse to provide me with the information I have requested to determine if my warranty is voided. I would not recommend either company based on my poor experience and do not feel they are trustworthy.

For the most part Kirby vacuums are a great product but considering how much they cost, they should be! As a matter of fact I wouldn't consider them a good value except for the affordable extended warranty program which allows you to return the vacuum for rebuilding as often as you want. This cost of this service is $99 each time plus shipping to and from Ohio. In addition to rebuilding the motor they replace almost all of the parts that wear and buff out all of the chrome. It truly comes back looking and running like new. My Heritage II is now 29 years old and after having it rebuilt for the fifth time is running like new.

So why am I dissatisfied? Two reasons: First, it takes a month and a half for them to rebuild it. They say 30 days but it's actually 30 business days after they acknowledge receipt of your vacuum. Throw in shipping and it's easily 6 weeks. So you need to have a back up vacuum cleaner to take up the slack every few years while they're putzing around rebuilding your Kirby.

Secondly, although the basic vacuum and beater brush is genius, the attachments are cheap plastic junk. Most times the only reason I rebuild my Kirby is to get replacements for the crappy attachments that have long since broken or worn out. To compound this problem they update the vacuum every 2-3 years often times modifying how the attachments fit. This leads to short production runs of their attachments and ultimately not being able to provide replacement parts for their older machines. Shame on you Kirby! For this reason I wouldn't recommend a Kirby to anyone that doesn't have all wall to wall carpeting. If Kirby really wanted to make a stellar vacuum they would engineer quality attachments that could support their machines year after year.

First of all the man who came selling this was lying so much saying NASA build this. Um yeah right... And all this talk about dust mites and poop all lies... This thing has like 50 pieces that takes hours just put together. You can't clean under things like you could easily with a normal vacuum without figuring out what piece goes to what... And it's so extremely heavy you can't even move it without feeling you're going to break your back. I think it's horrible. You can't take it back after you realise they were lying and this thing is a nightmare. Why the ** does this run for 3000? I've seen better easier vacuums for under 200... Kirby needs to understand people need easy. No one has all day just to freaking vacuum... These salespeople should be illegal and be charged for harassment.

First off I'd like to say that I have owned several Kirby vacuums and I love them. So, when a salesman came to my door, I told him that I already have a Kirby and am not looking to upgrade. He offered to show me the "half hour demo" anyway. He stated that he just had to "show" one more demo and there was no obligation to buy. I told him that about thirty minutes is all I had and I was for sure not going to purchase one.

Well, he came in, set up his equipment and went to work on the demo. About thirty minutes in, I told him his time was up and he had to leave. He ignored me and continued the demo. I told him that he had about two minutes to grab all of his vacuum parts and leave or I was going choke him out and he would wake up next to his vacuum face down on the curb. It was then, finally, that he called for the van that dropped him off, to pick him up.

I post this because I know that salesmen like this guy probably prey on older folks like my parents. Had this guy been in my parents living room, it would have been hell for them to get him to leave. So they would have called me, then he would be paying hell for not leaving. Why does this company promote these sales tactics?

I was a salesperson in 2004 and really did like being around the people I was working under. I did not make a whole lot of money nor did I got on the trips. I was just having fun learning how to get people to agree with me and be more confident in myself. I sold only 3 vacuums in 5 months. I meet a lot of nice people who want it but their credit was bad. I was not pushy. When you get 3 nos I would ask if I could use the phone to call my boss to come get me and go wait outside. Sometimes I would just sit in the people because they did want the demo done. They just felt sorry for me having to do that type of job as a female. They did teach us to lie and to be pushy because some people would say no first thing if they knew who we were. Some people don't like salesperson at their door and in their home.

Had a girl come to my door. Just said someone was coming advertising a cleaning service, and that it was a no cost demo, and that'd it take no more than an hour tops. Had a "manager" drop a kid off who then proceeded to express the importance of a contest to mexico. Spent about 3 friggin hours after a series of "one more thing" he had to show me. I kept saying no. I was exhausted. Kept waiting for the "manager" to come back and when he finally did he roped me in at a 1500 (closer to 2000 with interest) with their family and friends discount which after reading further in realize is b.s. PLEASE help with advice on getting my awesome Bissell returned to me and ending the contract!!!

I let a Kirby Dealer demonstrate this machine in my home and it seemed to work so I purchased it. Since then it has not been nothing but a glorified vacuum cleaner. I have had to rent a Bissell machine twice to clean my carpet, I have a Hoover Elite to vacuum with. I spoke with a rep from Kirby that stated there is a recall on this model, however when I called Kirby they said that was incorrect. They asked if I wanted to speak with a tech to walk me through using the machine. I am a college graduate so I think I know how to operate a vacuum cleaner. Kirby is a Piece of Junk, I advise anyone thinking of buying one not to.

When I was introduced to my Kirby when the salesman (Cody ** from Boise ID) had came to my door. He showed me how it worked and how it got everything out my carpet. I was pleased with it. I actually wanted it. When it came down to it and I purchased it I asked him about the cancellation policy. He responded back saying that if I cancel or want to return it, it was going to affect his trip to Las Vegas! Was that all he was worried about? So I already had signed my agreement form & I've been wanting to cancel and return my Kirby since the day I bought it.

I've been calling Kirby as well with my financing company that I went through & they just now called me back a month later telling me I am not able to return it after several calls. I am so upset & really disappointed at this point. Cody, did not show us how to connect anything or show us how we can assemble our Kirby. A night when I needed to use it, it took me about 3 hours to figure out how to make my Kirby work & how to put the parts together. Now I don't even want to take anything off to wash my carpets because it might take just as long!

First off honestly, to say I can't believe some of the reviews on the Kirby what's being said on this site. I don't consider them accurate at times. Yeah I agree to some, that the Kirby company is really messed up forcing people to buy their vacuum and taking advantage of the elderly and everything else with Kirby company being a billionaire company. Honestly there are more problems with the marketplace and business with Kirby than the vacuum itself, so please don't tear down about the vacuum. Yes I agree it's not for everyone, since it's really heavy.

Now I have owned a Kirby Heritage II for near three years and never had any problems with it and know very well it's the best performing vacuum you can ever have but I did not buy it from the Kirby company. I am extremely happy with it. Yeah it needs belts and bags time to time but that normal for owning a vacuum. The belts with me usually last 4-5 months until it needs replacing.

Also this is my personal belief that the vintage Kirbies are better than the new ones. To me, the Kirby company has changed a lot from the last 40 years, and how I see it's not good. Now when it comes to me and my strong opinion owning a Kirby, I advise is not get a Kirby from the Kirby company and don't believe it's a good idea to directly buy from them but just buy one from eBay or Amazon. Don't pay the overprices for one - that part is absurd. Max one should pay for a Kirby is 800.00 if near new but I won't buy any higher. This same goes for a Rainbow.

Yeah, I know if you don't buy from Kirby you don't get warranty or you can't bring a Kirby to them if anything goes wrong, so what! Take responsibilities to fix them yourself and save money if you can! Example, eBay has brand new Kirbies time to time and they are usually 400.00-700.00 with shipping, depending where you live. I am done talking about Kirby but that's my review.

I purchase a Kirby vacuum a few months ago. I fell one month behind on payments, they called everyday and pretty much every hour. As I was getting my kids ready for the day. A Kirby employer was knocking at the door. I didn't hear the knocking, so due to that the work just walked in my house and started searched for the vacuum. I told him he's breaking and entering and that I'm going to call the cops. He told me to go right ahead **. I asked for his name or business card. He said he didn't need to give that information and called me a ** again. Got the cops involve and made a report and got the license plate ** New Mexico plates. He said he would be back, I now do not feel safe in my house. Not satisfied at all with the Kirby employees. I do not know what kind of employees you are hiring to have someone do that to a single mother.

First of all I will state that I have sold Kirby products myself, when I was in a desperate situation and this was the only job I could find. It is very hard work, it is hard to be invited into a home, this is one reason salesmen work so hard once there. But, work earnestly, not deceitfully once you have the privilege of showing your product. This product is extremely overpriced. I understand there are many players that get a cut of that pie, so inevitably, some must pay the highest price. But they do have the ability to negotiate a much lower price to seal the deal. There is also free financing if you do not opt for the auto payments and low low payments. Ask for this option and you save a ton on finance fees. There was a statement from a person in AL that rang true with my sales experience.

My salesmen were from Tuscaloosa AL. The salesman told me if I changed my mind within ** amount of days, I want to say 50 days, I could return it. So while on the phone with finance Co. I mentioned this and they said no way. So I caught him in a lie... which was a deal breaker for me. He was pissed. But after they left I decided to buy it, they offered it to me at a price I can't even mention on here. Very low, having ceramic I needed it, to replace my older Kirby. But the other "boss" had to come back from Tuscaloosa the next day to bring it to me. Don't be afraid to haggle for the lowest possible price and zero interest. Don't listen to lies. That's my rant.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

The Kirby Company is a division of the Scott Fetzer Company, which was founded in 1914. It is named after Jim Kirby, who designed the company's early vacuum cleaners.

• Scheduled demonstrations: Potential buyers can schedule demonstrations to help them decide whether they want to own Kirby vacuums.
  • Useful tools: Kirby home care systems have tools that let them convert into everything from air pumps to carpet shampoo systems.
  • Customer service: Kirby offers a wide range of customer services, including online how-to videos and phone support.
  • Limited warranty: All Kirby vacuums come with three-year limited warranties.
  • Maintenance services: Rebuild and maintenance services are available to lengthen the life of Kirby vacuums.
  • Best for Kirby's flexible vacuum system makes it useful for homeowners, renters, landlords and drivers.

Compare Vacuum Cleaners