Kirby Vacuum Cleaners
Kirby Vacuum Cleaners
2.07/5

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

For nearly one-hundred years, The Kirby Company has manufactured superior, American-made home cleaning systems. Kirby does not sell directly to the public but continues a long tradition of distributing its home cleaning systems through independent distributors, who are responsible for running their own businesses. Over the years, this distribution system has afforded thousands of men and women the opportunity to live the American dream of owning and operating their own businesses.

Experience has taught us that customers prefer to try our premium cleaning systems in their own homes before purchasing. Customer satisfaction is our top priority. If customers have any questions or concerns regarding the in-home demonstrations of Kirby cleaning systems or the cleaning systems themselves, please email us at consumer@kirbywhq.com, or call us at 800-494-8586, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., EST.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1688 Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

KIRBY Vacuums are HANDS DOWN the BEST VACUUMS OUT THERE. First of all I want to say all those people complaining about Kirby Vacuums are way too LAZY to learn how to use the vacuum properly. If you actually take the time to learn how to use the vacuum properly, most of these reviews would be 5 star reviews. Clearly in reading these negative reviews people are not putting the belt on right. I use my Kirby almost daily and my belts last for months.

As far as the comments about the attachments being hard to use and supposedly hard to change. AGAIN most of these people are LAZY. Yes the Kirby's are heavy but that is simply because they are made very well hence the reason they last forever. They clean the best, and are very versatile. I WOULD NOT buy from a salesperson. You can buy a used one for the price you would pay for a piece of garbage at Walmart. Take the time to learn how to use your Kirby and you would be pleased. Kirby is the only way to go.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

This is the worst vacuum I've ever invested in. The day the salesman showed it to me, hmm, works fantastic. A week into, I went to use it and it's terrible. I moved and it barely picks crap up off my carpets and rug. Worst money ever spent!!! Now I'm stuck for 2 years with this monstrosity of a bill. Stupidest vacuum ever. I hate it. Like with a passion. The deepest passion. It ruined my mental stability dealing with this thing. Don't buy it if you're even thinking of buying it. Just stop and don't.

Get expert buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

Clearly the reviews other than how Kirby's are sold on here are caused from owner operator. Btw let me begin by saying we had a Dyson, Hoover & Dirt Devil and all are in our dump now. Wife had a Dyson when we married. After owning Kirby of my own for almost 20 years and using my mom's old design in the 60/70's I absolutely know the do/don'ts on them and I'll explain.

If the owners saying they don't have suction would only go to Youtube and watch vids or read how to set the machine upright, maybe even paid attention to the demonstration if they ever had one they'd know it's not set correctly so it will indeed fail to pick up dirt & small particles of paper. Its nozzle has to be set correctly or it will fail because Kirby aren't designed to just skim above carpet like a Dirt Devil, Hoover or Dyson etc.

Kirby are deep cleaning units that "when" set up right actually lift the carpet up off the actual floor in front of the suction head. So' if you don't see it lifting carpet you're not setting it right. Having said this Kirby does miss a serious step when teaching operation and so my own trial and error came into play. Missed step? Oh yes' because if you have small paper/plastic/food pieces lying all over the room then one must start with the Kirby vacuum just above the carpet like a cheap vac runs at first. This is where the above mentioned cheap vacs are set even at their lowest settings and why people "think" they clean so great when they actually miss the deep down dirt/sand that destroys all your carpet fibers over time.

Oh yes cheap vacuumed carpets look clean and you see the dirt in the canister but your deep dirt remains unless a Kirby gets it out. In truth "No" vac built today will get it all out not even built in wall vacs but nothing gets you as close to this as a Kirby. NOTHING! Now after what I call the top skimmer setting is ran, I set my Kirby to its "advertised" normal setting position as shown in the Kirby videos.

The reason for an extra step is there is no room between the roller brush and carpet for the larger pieces so it pushes them around since a Kirby actually lifts the carpet up. It's why it cleans under carpets too and others will not come close to that. So I just set mine exactly how Kirby says but I'll raise it a click or two as I encounter any larger pieces sitting on top of the carpet to allow it to pass between brush/carpet. Nothing hard about that and it makes a world of difference. Kirby must know it & should include it.

So if a Kirby working good/bad is all about the setting folks! Also there are several aftermarket bag companies selling bags too restrictive so buyer beware on your bags. Had some bad ones myself. Heavy? Not at all after learning how to use/pick it up correctly. I have 7 bad discs in my back and it's not an issue. I don't have stairs though but learn on vids how to pick one up right. It's not bad.

It's heavier built to last and have real power. Truth is lightweight electric motors have very little copper windings inside and why they simply wear out after a few yrs. Many today now use junk China copper plated aluminum winding even. This is for any electric motor btw, it need the copper to last. It's why Kirbys are passed down generations but many who inherit them have no idea how they even work and leave bad reviews everywhere and touting Dyson's rule when they don't.

They don't mention how many times the cheap vacs been to a shop or they're on their 3rd unit or motor in ten yrs. Simply stop in and ask any vacuum repair shop to see their back room you'll see what truly keeps them in business. Hoovers & Bissels but mainly Dysons line these shops. WATCH A KIRBY VIDEO OR READ UP ON THEM IF YOURS IS NOT VACUUMING, IT WILL HELP IN OPERATION. I ASSURE YOU... By far Kirby makes the best vacs made in over 100 yrs if you know exactly how to operate one. I can only hope these people never ever inherit bulldozers.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I could write a book about how awful this vacuum is. Way too heavy and difficult for almost anyone to operate, especially a middle age woman. I am not an invalid. Awkward and difficult to move and change out attachments. Cord does not stay in handle. Extensions always work their way loose. Runs over the cord. Stinks. Assured that it would not, that the hepa filtered vacuum bags would take care of. Not true at all.

I have pets. Vacuum bags do not contain the odor like I was promised. Loud. Loud. Loud. Cuss every time I use it. Height is wrong for anyone under 5'3". Salesmen are full of lies and markup financing is ridiculous. I have never in my 62 years of life been more disappointed in an expensive and worthless purchase. Do not make the same mistake I did. Don't buy this poorly designed piece of equipment!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

A salesman showed up on my doorstep (which I hate) and I told him I was UNABLE to purchase anything at this time so he asked if he could shampoo one room and that the company would pay him $25 to do it so I agreed. Never happened! He came in and went right to demonstrating the vac which I STUPIDLY purchased due to being told I qualified for zero int on the financing and that I would be able to get $800 for my 'old' Kirby and not to take any less. Again DIDN'T HAPPEN! I can't even get $700 for it or any offers even! I'm not that impressed with the NEW vac (the hatch keep falling off even though I DO twist them on!) and wish I had kept the Simplicity (that he took on trade in) which out-sucked the Kirby! I'm screwed now looks like! Wish I'd read the reviews BEFORE falling for this sales pitch!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Please take my warning! Spend your money elsewhere! Sure this Vacuum can do a lot but it can't do anything well. Just after a few months our carpet cleaner is broke (It really didn't clean that well) and we are back to renting a cleaner. The vacuum itself is nothing like it was the first few weeks. (At this point it's as good as a $50 one from Walmart.) I regret this purchase 100%!! If there is one thing I regret the most is letting them take my Bissell ProHeat 2X I bought just weeks before.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

If you read these reviews, it does make you wonder why Kirby continues to sell door to door. I happened to be visiting a friend when they showed up and did their demo. When I told them I had the cash to buy it but a vacuum cleaner was not a priority to me, they called for reinforcements. Long story short, got the cleaner, all the attachments and the shampooer for $900... By holding out.

That was in 2003. Here I am writing a review in 2018. Yes. 15 years. This machine is a tank!! Heavy, well built, and sucks like no other machine. I have a Shark that I use upstairs (which I thought was a good machine) but when I compare the cleaning job done by the Kirby, there is no comparison. It is heavy, switching from upright to using attachments is a pain... Unlike the more "convenient" machines available. But if you want a workhorse that in 15 years all you replaced were belts and a brush... and it can lift your carpet and really clean the dirt... this is it.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Please do not buy the Kirby Vacuum. I purchased my Kirby Avalir almost 2 years ago and I hate everything about it! The first problem is the suction is horrible, after vacuuming I still have to pick up by hand all the particles the vacuum leaves behind. Second, the vacuum is extremely heavy and it not convenient when using it to clean stairs. Finally, the price is definitely not worth it, base on the vacuum performance.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I just purchased my Kirby vacuum. It's amazing. I have tons of dog hair because I have several dogs and I couldn't find anything that would take the dog hair away. Salesperson was awesome. He showed me how the machine goes from a vacuum to his carpet shampooer which was exactly what I was looking for. I couldn't believe how dirty my floors were until he showed me a demonstration. Believe me it sucked up all of the dirt and hair that was in my carpets. I used it to vacuum my bed sheet on my bed. Hair is all gone. My dog had an accident on the carpet. I use the shampooer and it was gone completely. No smell nothing!

Yes the carpet shampooer and vacuum system is pricey. But it is a high-pressure suction that I was looking for and you cannot get that with a regular $60 vacuum. I have nothing to complain about with this product. It is heavy but it needs to be because it's powerful like an engine. It does the job. All the attachments that it comes with I can even clean my windows. So if you're looking for a vacuum carpet cleaning system that will suck up the deep down dirt and pet hair I don't mind paying $1,600 for my vacuum.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

For anyone wanting to buy a new vacuum cleaner, please avoid this brand! Where to start? When we moved into our new home, we were approached by 2 or 3 Kirby salesmen. They only sell door to door... This is not an old fashioned technique... It is a technique to lock you in so that it is virtually impossible to return this product. After the pitch, they presented us with the price... with financing, around $2000. At this point, I wanted to throw them out of the house, but they had suckered my missus in. She was convinced that this was a lifelong product that you could pass generation to generation. That is absolute BS and who wants a vacuum cleaner as an heirloom?

Other sales pitches included blowing my leaves with the attachments and blowing up balloons. What garbage. Anyways, I would have nothing to do with it but my poor wonderful better half signed on the dotted line, and they ended up taking my better, lighter vacuum cleaner with them as a trade in. Never, ever buy this product! It is heavy, clunky, and very old school. The upstairs hardly ever gets vacuumed now because it is a pain to lug this 30 pound monstrosity upstairs. About every 2nd vacuuming, the belt begins to snap and I have to change it. And I am very mechanically minded. This is an absolute pain in the **, dismantling this piece of trash and hoping the belt catches on their swivel lock system. Perhaps if there is someone you dislike, give them your Kirby and that would solidify your never reconciling the relationship.

Oh, how sweet the day will be when we replace this piece of junk and I am allowed to put this Kirby in a bonfire!!! Remember, for the price of this model, you literally could buy a new vacuum every three years for the rest of your life! Do the math! This is not worth a tenth of its ridiculous price. And by the way, go talk to your local independent vacuum cleaner repairman. He will definitely steer you away from this product and verify it is NOT truly American made. ** you, Kirby! Go Dyson, or Oreck, or any other brand!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

This woman came to my door and said she just needed to demonstrate on a small area carpet to win a trip. We let her in and she was here for hours. I told her that I couldn't do it, so she twitched her attention on to my husband. He convinced him to try and get the credit even though he does not work. She said he could use me for income. I said that I didn't want my name anywhere on this application as I can trying to buy a house and didn't want the hard pull on my credit. She said I did not have to even provide my SS number. I did not supply my SS number or my birth date, but less than 30 minutes later I got an alert that a hard pull was done. This is so illegal! I called and complained and they said they would have it taken off, but 3 months later and it is still there. I am getting a lawyer.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Cheryl, we are so sorry to hear about your experience with an independent distributor. Please give us a call at 1-800-494-8586 so we can further assist you. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

After reading other reviews about the Kirby company I just want to cry. I don't even know where to begin. I ABSOLUTELY HATE THIS VACUUM! It was a Sunday, my husband was outside doing yardwork and changing the oil in our vehicles, and I was inside taking care of our 6 month old daughter. They got to him before coming to the door, which is usually a good thing because he will not let a salesperson near me. I am too nice, gullible, and I guess you could say I always look at things on the positive side. So the lady came up to him and promised that she wasn't here to sell anything. I'm not sure what she said for him to agree to let her knock on the door, but here she was, now in my home.

I'm a mess, running on no sleep, trying to clean and deal with the baby. She says, "We're just going to show you something and at the end you tell us a yes or no..." Ok... well here comes another lady with this damn vacuum... says she wants to clean our floors. Um ok, knock yourself out. SHE WAS HERE FOR 5 HOURS! Our only day we have together as a family, and she would not leave! My husband wouldn't come inside until she left so he just found more stuff to do outside. So she's told me all this awesome stuff this vacuum can do and "how dirty my house is" "you don't want your little baby breathing this stuff in" making me feel like a complete failure as a mother.

ANYWAYS long story short I bought this vacuum! No matter how many times I told her we really couldn't afford it and I couldn't justify to my husband spending that much on something like this. Well she got it down to $40 a month so I figured we could do that. Here I am almost 3 months later and every time I look at this vacuum I want to kick it and throw it out of the window! Yeah it "can" do all this "cool stuff" but really it's a bunch of BS! My husband isn't going to lug this big vacuum outside to do the cars, we're not going to use it to spray paint? I can't use the hose while it's in the upright position, I can't stop tripping over it and having to pick it up every 2 mins when it's in sweeper mode.

It's just a completely ridiculous product. Haven't even attempted to try and clean grout or shampoo my furniture, for the worry that I will break the damn thing. It's so complicated. DEFINITELY NOT WORTH WHAT I OWE! $1600 DOWN THE DRAIN. I could buy the Dyson sweeper I wanted, Shark Rotator AND Bissel shampooer for less than what I owe and I would have loved them all! DO NOT FALL FOR THIS HORRIBLE COMPANY.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

The belt broke the first time I used it. Called the office that I bought it from. I was told I would be shipped a few belts right away. It's been over two months and still no belts. Sorry support. Had trouble replacing the belt. The site I was sent to wasn't much help. I had to find a site that explained it myself. If this is Kirby support for this price it just isn't worth it.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi John, please visit www.kirby.com and head over to our Support tab. From there, go to the How-To videos. There is one posted about replacing your belt. If this doesn't help, please give us a call at 1-800-494-8586 so we can walk you through the process. Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

The salesman immediately noticed how naive I was and quickly took the fact I have OCD and used it against me. He showed me terrifying images of dust mites and everything to get me to freak out. When I said I couldn't afford it they said I wouldn't have to pay till that February. By the time it came to start payment I had used the vacuum once a month. So like 4 times. I'm indebted 5000$ and since I've moved the vacuum has collected more dust then it's cleaned in the entire time I've owned it.

I wish I could get rid of it. I bought a small vacuum from Walmart for 22$ and it works just as well if not better. Every time I look at the damn machine I want to cry because I now have to pay 150$ for a vacuum I can't use (I DON'T EVEN HAVE CARPET ANYMORE) and struggle to find help to get food. I'm on disability welfare. I can barely afford my bills and that's before groceries. I regret ever opening that door and now I have a fear of answering doors. I hope that trip to Hawaii for the salesmen was worth ruining a young woman's life. I just want it gone and the debt to be over with. No one is even stupid enough to buy it from me.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

It was 6 pm on a Saturday when they knocked on my door and I assumed it was a neighbor needing something. Instantly a women tricked me, she said, "Would you give a honest review?" I thought okay I got a free air freshener I would just do their survey and be done. Nope this guy jumped out of this van that was parked at my neighbor's house, rushed in my home, started setting up this vacuum cleaner, did one demonstration. When I said, "No. Thanks." He left with the van.

Beware women because I was left with the woman salesperson for hour and half trying to convince me to buy this product. I mean it was nice but not for 2 grand regardless what it can do. Then instantly when I said I needed to discuss it with my husband, the salesperson said, "Okay. Here's the spouse isn't home discount and have it for free start paying on it in 80 days." I said no constantly. The salesperson kept using scare tactics like, "Do you know how far Indianapolis is because that's where they're from." "You're not cleaning your home well enough for your children." I finally told the salesperson to leave or the cops will be coming. I informed the salesperson, "You're being recorded from my security cameras. I have been texting with 911. I will give you 2 minutes to pack up your things."

Then the salesperson said, "I be back in the morning to speak with your husband." Of course my husband being my husband answer the door with the gun. But the moral of the story is the way the company use a tactic of leaving this woman salesperson in my home and driving off is very clever but so disrespectful. Why I would never buy from this company because it was morally wrong. The company knew most women wouldn't make her sit in the cold waiting for a ride or walking in the dark unfamiliar location with this heavy equipment.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Ok, I let the salesman in and he said he could show me he could clean my whole house in less that 20 minutes! He was quick because he had used it before. He said he got all the bed bugs! So then I was hooked, so I bought it. The finance rates outrageous. Too late to cancel at the time so I was stuck but really I wanted 2 figure out was the shampooer never got to use it or any of any attachments because it's too difficult. So it does vacuum. If you have 2 hours to put back together when trying to figure out the instructions on converting from vacuum to shampooer. AND he took my old vacuum cleaner THAT I WISH JUST HAD BACK!! With the finance rates a 1800 dollar vacuum cost me 3000.00 and that's with not a late payment. Oh it was also a demo. I'm just a fool I guess.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I have owned the Avalir Kirby vacuum for approximately 2 years now and every time I use it I say to myself I must have been out of my mind to purchase it. It is extremely awkward and heavy. I am in my late sixties and in good health and physical condition, and yet I find this vacuum impossible to use. I have always owned Electrolux vacuums and was always happy with their ease and performance. The salesmen who came to my door made it look easy to use but in reality it is not. Their high-pressure sales technique eventually worked on me and I regret the purchase every time I use it. I will be purchasing a different vacuum in the near future which will certainly not be a Kirby!!! This was a waste of money.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Living out in the country in my cottage, I was extremely surprised to hear have a Kirby salesman arrive on my doorstep. He said he was “starting a new company and wanted to demonstrate the product.” In return he gave me a roll of paper towelling. He never said it was a Kirby. The lady driving the car spoke with me for minute and then she said she would be leaving. I’m assuming for another potential sale. So he entered my home and unpacked his box and much to my surprise it was a Kirby.

It was a very long demonstration. He kept telling me that I was a very smart woman. It was concerning for him to say “I get a strong sense there is not a man in your life.” I did not tell him I was widowed but wondered if the price varies based on marital status. It was also concerning that he did not ask permission to go into my bedroom to demonstrate mattress cleaning feature. That seemed over the line.

4 1/2 hours later I told him the demonstration was over. Coincidentally I do not have cell service so it was interesting watching him attempting to depart. Interestingly, he did not asked me if I wanted to make a purchase. He said what I like to pay for this with cash check or charge card. I just looked at him. Any company that sells exclusively door to door and not in stores and online is suspicious to me. Vacuum cleaner company that can all of a sudden drop their price by $500 because my son is a veteran, I am a senior citizen et cetera et cetera et cetera is suspicious. He also told me he was shocked that I could not make one recommendation since I have had my cottage for 35 years and would not recommend a single person. Don’t do I know anybody up here? How rude. How insulting. I don’t need a Kirby salesman to tell me I’m a very smart woman.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

The first Kirby my family ever purchased was back in the early 90's. I remember the vacuum salesman coming in and my dad being a bit annoyed. We had that particular one for about 10 years before he bought a new one around 2002. Fast forward to 2016. I have been through pretty much every cheaper brand of vacuum from Bissell to Hoover to Dirt Devil to Shark. I have used Dyson's at work and they don't last very long. Actually most store bought brands do not last long at all with proper care. I decided I wanted a Kirby like I had growing up. It was always reliable as actually cleaned.

I found a person selling a used one for $50 because they had just bought the newest version. The version I got was the Sentria, so not that old at all. It has been well taken care of. I got home and I vacuumed the whole house. The new bag I had put in ended up getting completely full—that's how dirty our carpet was even though I vacuumed religiously. I've had this vacuum for two years now and today I used the shampooer on a stinky rug that my dog vomited on. It cleaned it well and took the smell out. I want to now list the pros and cons of the system.

PROS: It doesn't just vacuum. You can shampoo, use as an air pump, sand things, and a ton more... Kirby's last forever. They are the Toyota of vacuum cleaners. Changing the bags are easy. Putting on basic attachments and using the regular head is easy. Finding parts is easy since you can find pretty much anything in Amazon. Great suction. Versatile. Durable (I spent the same amount of money in vacuums over a 7 yr period when I could have just bought the Kirby). CONS: It's clunky and heavy. There are tons of parts so reading the manual is a must if you want to do more than basic vacuuming. It's hard to find a system that isn't being sold by a salesman. Sales tactics suck when you come in contact with a salesperson. (JUST BUY USED AND SKIP THE MAN.)

Most of the reviews I read had more to do with the sales tactics than the actual machine. The ones where people had complaints about the machines was because they didn't want to do the work to put the attachments on or didn't read the instructions. You actually don't even have to read now. There's tons of videos on YouTube with how to use the Kirby. Overall, Kirby is a great product. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. It cleans better than store bought vacuums and it lasts forever. I'd recommend buying used or going to a vacuum/sew shop and purchasing—skip the salesman. They are independent sellers and can price things how they want.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Why does Kirby vacuum cleaner door to door sales even exist? I had no idea it was a thing! Kirby is a great vacuum cleaner, so why allow these people to lie in order to get into your house? First off, from my experience with the Kirby vacuum from the "presentation" I find it to work like an amazing machine but there's so many parts to take off and put on and it just looks so complicated, I just could never own one. I like my simple easy to use Meile.

Anyway, a man knocked at the door and has holding a bottle of Method All Purpose Cleaner. We just moved into this house so I thought it was a neighbor before opening the door. Not a neighbor. He said he owns a carpet cleaning business and was offering a free carpet cleaning for 1 room today only as a promotion so I can spread the word about his business. Well, we did want our carpets cleaned because we just moved in and the carpet is stained. So, I said, "Ok but why free?" He said, "Because I'm promoting my business."

I let him in, only because my husband was also home. He pulled out a Kirby and was telling me this is what they use to clean carpets. Ok cool, I thought that's nice, they have a nice expensive carpet cleaner to use. He starts showing me how it works. Ok, I guess he wants me to know that they use the best carpet cleaners. Nope! He wanted me to pay $3500 for it! After 2.5 hours of him trying to clean my carpets we tell him that we are not going to spend that much on a vacuum cleaner.

He proceeds to tell me that he is helping out a friend and he has 48 free Kirbys for selling 600 of them and that he can give me this one for $1,000 plus a private $200 cash tip. Ok that's weird! Really weird! Drop the price magically by that much huh? We still ended up saying no. I literally just bought my Meile 2 weeks ago for $500 so I wasn't going to buy another expensive vacuum cleaner. He tried telling me that my Meile was no good and that it just smashes dirt into my carpets. He offered to purchase my old vacuum cleaners from me in exchange for purchasing the Kirby. No no no! I didn't want to spend that much money on a vacuum cleaner!

Finally we told him we will tip him for his time, so he would leave. Wrote him a check. I did cancel the check though because he came to my house and entered my house in a fraudulent manner. He lied about why he was there! He said FREE carpet cleaning. Well if I felt forced to pay him to leave, then it wasn't free! So, now it's free because I stopped payment on the check.

These salesmen I'm sure do not work for Kirby, I really don't know. He said he was the general manager and that he just bought a house for $450k. Whatever dude, I'm sure it was all lies. Why would he tell me how much he spent on a house? To impress me? He also told me that he just sold 12 Kirbys in my town. Yeah right! Nobody here can afford that much for a vacuum cleaner. Kirby vacuums are super high quality, just don't buy from these people that knock on the door. I'm sure you can buy them from a vacuum cleaner shop or on the internet from a legit source.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

The people who came and sold us our Kirby were great. I have yet to use it yet but my concern and question is the salesmen took our old vacuum with them and I thought that was odd because what if I don't like it and want to return it now I have no vacuum at all. So did anyone else have this happen?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

After reading all these reviews it seems like their sales strategy is exactly the same. I am in the military and already live on a low budget and I feel like I was honestly taken advantage of as far as the price goes. I wasn’t aware that’s how we treat people who serve our country. I can’t lie I am impressed with the Kirby so far, multiple things you can do with it but he swindled me. Said he would help me out since he was a prior vet and has kids too blah blah blah. Not to mention the fact that after they give you a hard price they totally forget to mention the fact that the interest rate is outrageously high! Any help or answers would be greatly appreciated.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I have paralgesia from the chest down and trouble using my hands. This year I have learned to walk. The sales people stopped at night and I should not have let them in living alone but I had a new bed coming the next day and they said they would scrub the carpet. I don't know what I was thinking. The next day I tried to use it and ended up at the doctors with a sore shoulder. It is way too awkward and heavy and had to have the caregiver in with her vacuum. I was able to do my own with the little one they took. The caregiver told my family so they are having a meeting about controlling my income. I explained to the sales people that I would not have any available money until Nov. so they set the 1st payment for then. My family feels I was taken advantage of and now I understand. Can you please help.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Cynthia, we are so sorry to hear about your experience with one of our independent distributors. Please call us with all details you have regarding your experience at 1-800-494-8586. Thank you, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Two salespeople showed up at my door 3 years ago and, despite the fact that I told them I was not feeling well, insisted on coming in to demonstrate this vacuum/carpet cleaner. I ended up purchasing one after they had several conversations (outside) and I have used it maybe 5 times. It is heavy, hard to maneuver, hard to adjust to the different types of flooring and a real pain to use. Today I pulled out my Bissell and it vacuumed my carpet better than the Kirby ever has. I am going to try to sell it, but actually feel bad about doing that because it is a piece of trash.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I have multiple dogs & have had to vacuum and literally comb the carpet to pick up the hair. I got a Kirby and it is by far the best vacuum I've ever used & it's essentially a steam cleaner and vacuum all in one. Here is what I found. The good: It is heavy & industrial. Has great suction, picks up everything & I only have to go over it one time. It has two wheel drive which makes life easier. It can shampoo carpets, pet attachments & more. The bad: It's heavy. Slow transition between tools. It uses bags. The cost: I would not pay over $1200, there is a substantial mark up for the new models similar to cars. Regarding the salespeople, it's like buying anything. Do your research first & present them with facts & more often than not you'll get a fair price.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

GO Distributors is the company that sold me a Kirby. Completely took advantage of me... Overpriced me tremendously. I am beyond words of how horrible my experience has turned out to be. Never never never buy Kirby. Very complicated, very heavy and not worth the money and now they won’t allow me to return it because I’m a day and a half over return date. Come on really?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Bought the vacuum close to 2 years ago, it is very heavy and hard to move around the house as well as having to switch out the vacuum head for the hose attachment is not very convenient, plus it has never really cleaned that well. Lately the brush has not been turning and we have tried several time to reinstall to make sure the belt is on. We have not had success. We have called 3 times but have never received a callback. Very disappointed with this whole process. I'd suggest not buying one.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

As I'm scrolling reading these comment regarding customers' experience with the sales people, I had a similar experience Sept 11, 2018 in Newnan, Georgia. A woman by the name of Bri who's ** mixed came to my door and ask if she could shampoo my carpet for free due to a promotion. I told her that it wasn't a good time because I was busy, and if we could just schedule for another day. She stated that the free shampoo was only for today and I could really help them out because they get credit for shampooing the houses. She ask if she could call me to set up appointment for later today so I said, "Yes that's fine." I get the call and she says to me that someone will be at my home shortly to shampoo the 1 room carpet.

So Felipe who was Hispanic, shows up and I notice he was carrying a Kirby. He takes the machine out and does his speech and proceeded to demonstrate on my ceiling fans and vents, then he goes to my couch and demonstrates vacuuming, then to my kitchen chairs, and my area rugs. I'm very impressed with the machine as he doing his demonstration. He finally gets to vacuuming the 1 room and he even vacuum the bed which was really weird. He shampoo the carpet which is only a year old, but it did smell good. Afterwards, he ask me what did I think, I told him I like it, but I had to wait for my husband to get here because he was the only one working in the home.

So my husband gets home and by then it's dang there 8 p.m. and he's still in our home. To make a long story short, my husband said no, and the Closer who was from Ukraine, his name was Anatolio was trying really hard to get my husband to change his mind and even went as far as saying, "I talked to my supervisor and he said to discount it from $2995.00 to $1500.00." My husband still said no, and the Closer wouldn't give up, asking my husband all kinds of personal questions regarding his finance and by then my husband is irritated and wants them gone. Finally after 1.5hrs later, they finally leave.

I KNOW THAT KIRBY is responding to these complaints and stating: “...while we aren’t affiliated with our third party resellers...” which is a LIE because as I'm reading through all these complaints, everyone of the complaints are similar and from different STATES, which tells me that KIRBY is training all these harassing Kirby sellers to be aggressive and to lie by any means, using different competitions as their sales pitch. Now I know why KIRBY won't sell to the public, it's because they can have a third party do it for them and then lie and say they're not affiliated with the third party.

KIRBY YOU'RE TRAINING DECEITFUL LIARS AND RUDE THIRD PARTIES. Kirby you should be ashamed of yourself!!! You know YOU'RE AFFILIATED WITH THESE SCUMS and training them... People if you get a knock or call asking to shampoo a room for free. Slam your doors and hang up the phone. They're selling refurbish Kirby not new Kirby. Don't give into harassment from them. I hate even giving them 1 star.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I know the whole spiel Kirby's been around for years and in the last 20 years. Nothing has changed. Not the price, not the product, not the people selling it. I once considered a job selling Kirby but I don't believe in selling something I wouldn't recommend. The product is way to bulky. It doesn't eliminate dust it spread it my partner is a chronic asthmatic and so the it's a health hazard. The price is insane as is the finance. I got so fed up with it I parked it up in the spare room and stopped paying for it. They consequently repossed it which was an absolute blessing and I bought a $500 Shark vacuum cleaner which does a way better job and one I highly recommend for all uses. Car cleaning, house cleaning, allergy sufferers the works but years later the Kirby is still haunting me.

I know have 3 separate debt collection issues #1 the repossesion #2 Bordeaux finance (the company who financed the purchase and #3 Jade financial services who have been allocated the task of recovering the cost. the last two seem to keep changing the prices oh and it's not just a problem for my name but also my partner so under his name the bill is for $3115 with jade financial services and with me its $4130 with Jade with Bordeaux Finance.

I have not clue the amount they have but it does come up under both. Then I read a bill last night for $3600 and my partner opens one last night for $4900. I don't deny that we were under a contract but I refuse to pay any money until that is cleared up and if Kirby is sooo good at what they do perhaps they could drop the amount for all the hassle or clear the damn bill all together as it's an overpriced piece of junk!!! Highly unhappy New Zealand customer.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Donna,we are disappointed to read about your experience! While we here at the Kirby Company are not a party to the agreements between these salespeople and the independently owned distributorships of Kirby products, we still take situations, like yours, seriously. Please call us at 1-800-494-8586 for further assistance!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I answered the door to a man saying that he was starting a new carpet cleaning company and if I would allow them to, they would clean two room of carpet or a piece of furniture for free. He said he was just trying to get his business started and was relying on referrals and recognition of the quality of the cleaning product. He seemed nice enough so I agreed and scheduled the service for the following week. He said it would take about an hour as they would give a demo of how the product worked. Having just recently purchased my home, I thought it was a carpet cleaning service and it would be nice to have a business to call when I needed a cleaning. He comes at the scheduled time and brings in the vacuum and all the gadgets. I felt like I had gone back to the 1950's. What's next? Encyclopedias? So he proceeds to unpack this vacuum and ask me a bunch of dumb no-brainer questions like I'm 6 years old.

The whole ordeal lasts 2 1/2 hours and he comes down in price from 2995.00 to 1500.00. Even going so far as to "call his supervisor to get me the best deal". I didn't go for it and immediately looked for reviews and pricing online after he left. Finding a used one for sale for 300.00 from a private owner and a couple on Overstock.com for around 500.00. I used to date a heating & Air conditioning salesman, so I knew a lot of the tricks they use to make you think you're getting this great one of kind, one time deal. No way! Now after seeing that others had this experience, I am absolutely not buying this product.

Kirby expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The Kirby Company is a division of the Scott Fetzer Company, which was founded in 1914. It is named after Jim Kirby, who designed the company's early vacuum cleaners.

• Scheduled demonstrations: Potential buyers can schedule demonstrations to help them decide whether they want to own Kirby vacuums.

• Useful tools: Kirby home care systems have tools that let them convert into everything from air pumps to carpet shampoo systems.

• Customer service: Kirby offers a wide range of customer services, including online how-to videos and phone support.

• Limited warranty: All Kirby vacuums come with three-year limited warranties.

• Maintenance services: Rebuild and maintenance services are available to lengthen the life of Kirby vacuums.

• Best for: Kirby's flexible vacuum system makes it useful for homeowners, renters, landlords and drivers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs