Kirby Vacuum Cleaners
Kirby Vacuum Cleaners
2.18/5

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

For nearly one-hundred years, The Kirby Company has manufactured superior, American-made home cleaning systems. Kirby does not sell directly to the public but continues a long tradition of distributing its home cleaning systems through independent distributors, who are responsible for running their own businesses. Over the years, this distribution system has afforded thousands of men and women the opportunity to live the American dream of owning and operating their own businesses.

Experience has taught us that customers prefer to try our premium cleaning systems in their own homes before purchasing. Customer satisfaction is our top priority. If customers have any questions or concerns regarding the in-home demonstrations of Kirby cleaning systems or the cleaning systems themselves, please email us at consumer@kirbywhq.com, or call us at 800-494-8586, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., EST.

View More View More

1668 Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

The people who came and sold us our Kirby were great. I have yet to use it yet but my concern and question is the salesmen took our old vacuum with them and I thought that was odd because what if I don't like it and want to return it now I have no vacuum at all. So did anyone else have this happen?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

After reading all these reviews it seems like their sales strategy is exactly the same. I am in the military and already live on a low budget and I feel like I was honestly taken advantage of as far as the price goes. I wasn’t aware that’s how we treat people who serve our country. I can’t lie I am impressed with the Kirby so far, multiple things you can do with it but he swindled me. Said he would help me out since he was a prior vet and has kids too blah blah blah. Not to mention the fact that after they give you a hard price they totally forget to mention the fact that the interest rate is outrageously high! Any help or answers would be greatly appreciated.

Get expert buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I have paralgesia from the chest down and trouble using my hands. This year I have learned to walk. The sales people stopped at night and I should not have let them in living alone but I had a new bed coming the next day and they said they would scrub the carpet. I don't know what I was thinking. The next day I tried to use it and ended up at the doctors with a sore shoulder. It is way too awkward and heavy and had to have the caregiver in with her vacuum. I was able to do my own with the little one they took. The caregiver told my family so they are having a meeting about controlling my income. I explained to the sales people that I would not have any available money until Nov. so they set the 1st payment for then. My family feels I was taken advantage of and now I understand. Can you please help.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Two salespeople showed up at my door 3 years ago and, despite the fact that I told them I was not feeling well, insisted on coming in to demonstrate this vacuum/carpet cleaner. I ended up purchasing one after they had several conversations (outside) and I have used it maybe 5 times. It is heavy, hard to maneuver, hard to adjust to the different types of flooring and a real pain to use. Today I pulled out my Bissell and it vacuumed my carpet better than the Kirby ever has. I am going to try to sell it, but actually feel bad about doing that because it is a piece of trash.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I have multiple dogs & have had to vacuum and literally comb the carpet to pick up the hair. I got a Kirby and it is by far the best vacuum I've ever used & it's essentially a steam cleaner and vacuum all in one. Here is what I found. The good: It is heavy & industrial. Has great suction, picks up everything & I only have to go over it one time. It has two wheel drive which makes life easier. It can shampoo carpets, pet attachments & more. The bad: It's heavy. Slow transition between tools. It uses bags. The cost: I would not pay over $1200, there is a substantial mark up for the new models similar to cars. Regarding the salespeople, it's like buying anything. Do your research first & present them with facts & more often than not you'll get a fair price.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

GO Distributors is the company that sold me a Kirby. Completely took advantage of me... Overpriced me tremendously. I am beyond words of how horrible my experience has turned out to be. Never never never buy Kirby. Very complicated, very heavy and not worth the money and now they won’t allow me to return it because I’m a day and a half over return date. Come on really?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Bought the vacuum close to 2 years ago, it is very heavy and hard to move around the house as well as having to switch out the vacuum head for the hose attachment is not very convenient, plus it has never really cleaned that well. Lately the brush has not been turning and we have tried several time to reinstall to make sure the belt is on. We have not had success. We have called 3 times but have never received a callback. Very disappointed with this whole process. I'd suggest not buying one.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

As I'm scrolling reading these comment regarding customers' experience with the sales people, I had a similar experience Sept 11, 2018 in Newnan, Georgia. A woman by the name of Bri who's ** mixed came to my door and ask if she could shampoo my carpet for free due to a promotion. I told her that it wasn't a good time because I was busy, and if we could just schedule for another day. She stated that the free shampoo was only for today and I could really help them out because they get credit for shampooing the houses. She ask if she could call me to set up appointment for later today so I said, "Yes that's fine." I get the call and she says to me that someone will be at my home shortly to shampoo the 1 room carpet.

So Felipe who was Hispanic, shows up and I notice he was carrying a Kirby. He takes the machine out and does his speech and proceeded to demonstrate on my ceiling fans and vents, then he goes to my couch and demonstrates vacuuming, then to my kitchen chairs, and my area rugs. I'm very impressed with the machine as he doing his demonstration. He finally gets to vacuuming the 1 room and he even vacuum the bed which was really weird. He shampoo the carpet which is only a year old, but it did smell good. Afterwards, he ask me what did I think, I told him I like it, but I had to wait for my husband to get here because he was the only one working in the home.

So my husband gets home and by then it's dang there 8 p.m. and he's still in our home. To make a long story short, my husband said no, and the Closer who was from Ukraine, his name was Anatolio was trying really hard to get my husband to change his mind and even went as far as saying, "I talked to my supervisor and he said to discount it from $2995.00 to $1500.00." My husband still said no, and the Closer wouldn't give up, asking my husband all kinds of personal questions regarding his finance and by then my husband is irritated and wants them gone. Finally after 1.5hrs later, they finally leave.

I KNOW THAT KIRBY is responding to these complaints and stating: “...while we aren’t affiliated with our third party resellers...” which is a LIE because as I'm reading through all these complaints, everyone of the complaints are similar and from different STATES, which tells me that KIRBY is training all these harassing Kirby sellers to be aggressive and to lie by any means, using different competitions as their sales pitch. Now I know why KIRBY won't sell to the public, it's because they can have a third party do it for them and then lie and say they're not affiliated with the third party.

KIRBY YOU'RE TRAINING DECEITFUL LIARS AND RUDE THIRD PARTIES. Kirby you should be ashamed of yourself!!! You know YOU'RE AFFILIATED WITH THESE SCUMS and training them... People if you get a knock or call asking to shampoo a room for free. Slam your doors and hang up the phone. They're selling refurbish Kirby not new Kirby. Don't give into harassment from them. I hate even giving them 1 star.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I know the whole spiel Kirby's been around for years and in the last 20 years. Nothing has changed. Not the price, not the product, not the people selling it. I once considered a job selling Kirby but I don't believe in selling something I wouldn't recommend. The product is way to bulky. It doesn't eliminate dust it spread it my partner is a chronic asthmatic and so the it's a health hazard. The price is insane as is the finance. I got so fed up with it I parked it up in the spare room and stopped paying for it. They consequently repossed it which was an absolute blessing and I bought a $500 Shark vacuum cleaner which does a way better job and one I highly recommend for all uses. Car cleaning, house cleaning, allergy sufferers the works but years later the Kirby is still haunting me.

I know have 3 separate debt collection issues #1 the repossesion #2 Bordeaux finance (the company who financed the purchase and #3 Jade financial services who have been allocated the task of recovering the cost. the last two seem to keep changing the prices oh and it's not just a problem for my name but also my partner so under his name the bill is for $3115 with jade financial services and with me its $4130 with Jade with Bordeaux Finance.

I have not clue the amount they have but it does come up under both. Then I read a bill last night for $3600 and my partner opens one last night for $4900. I don't deny that we were under a contract but I refuse to pay any money until that is cleared up and if Kirby is sooo good at what they do perhaps they could drop the amount for all the hassle or clear the damn bill all together as it's an overpriced piece of junk!!! Highly unhappy New Zealand customer.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Donna,we are disappointed to read about your experience! While we here at the Kirby Company are not a party to the agreements between these salespeople and the independently owned distributorships of Kirby products, we still take situations, like yours, seriously. Please call us at 1-800-494-8586 for further assistance!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I answered the door to a man saying that he was starting a new carpet cleaning company and if I would allow them to, they would clean two room of carpet or a piece of furniture for free. He said he was just trying to get his business started and was relying on referrals and recognition of the quality of the cleaning product. He seemed nice enough so I agreed and scheduled the service for the following week. He said it would take about an hour as they would give a demo of how the product worked. Having just recently purchased my home, I thought it was a carpet cleaning service and it would be nice to have a business to call when I needed a cleaning. He comes at the scheduled time and brings in the vacuum and all the gadgets. I felt like I had gone back to the 1950's. What's next? Encyclopedias? So he proceeds to unpack this vacuum and ask me a bunch of dumb no-brainer questions like I'm 6 years old.

The whole ordeal lasts 2 1/2 hours and he comes down in price from 2995.00 to 1500.00. Even going so far as to "call his supervisor to get me the best deal". I didn't go for it and immediately looked for reviews and pricing online after he left. Finding a used one for sale for 300.00 from a private owner and a couple on Overstock.com for around 500.00. I used to date a heating & Air conditioning salesman, so I knew a lot of the tricks they use to make you think you're getting this great one of kind, one time deal. No way! Now after seeing that others had this experience, I am absolutely not buying this product.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Allowed salesman into my home under guise of a lie. 2 hours and three men later, finally purchased the vacuum to get rid of them. Mailed the cancellation form the very next day and phoned the company that I had done so. A week passed and I only heard from the actual salesman asking what was going on. Nothing about my refund. In the following 3 weeks, my phone conversations have gone in circles. The company will not honor the 3 day refund policy because they claim never to have received the piece of mail. I sent them a faxed copy, but they won't accept that because "anyone could just write dates down and fax it." I needed to have sent it prior to the 3 day deadline.

Problem with that is: I didn't know they hadn't received the mail until a week after the deadline and, there isn't a fax number given with the sale information. They keep saying they can't do anything until the "lost" piece of mail shows up proving I mailed it within the 3 days. The issue I have with that is they acknowledge my intent to cancel the sale (phone calls from the salesman) and how do I know they haven't received the paperwork? Their response to that is that they don't "run our company that way." Yet, they run a company that makes a profit on extreme pressure sales. If you are going to purchase the Kirby to get the salespeople out of your house, be sure to send the cancellation of purchase via registered mail so the company can't claim they never received your paperwork.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

The Kirby salesmen, saleswoman, instead of cleaning my floor as promised, applied a waterbased finish to my white oak floor. I will have to have it refinished to remove it. Do not let these fools in!!!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Too heavy. I have bad wrists and we rang the company within time frame of when you can return it and all they did was come and reshow us how to use it. Now am stuck with a cleaner I do not like or want.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

This is one of the worst sales pitches I’ve ever experienced. Someone knocked on our door at 5pm offering us a free gift; Glade air freshener. We took it and said thank you. The overly excitable man said “This is Tammy and she would like to take a moment of your time to do a quick free floor cleaning free of charge! We only ask that you advertise to your neighbors and friends!”

Ok sure whatever. I expected it to take like 10 minutes. He proceeds to go grab a huge box full of Kirby vacuum equipment and leaves it and Tammy alone with us in the house. He says he’ll be back in just a few minutes. She starts showing us the vacuum and all it can do. I’m like fine. She tells us we’re her last house for the day, and she needs a certain amount of houses on her schedule to get a company trip so she’s VERY thankful we’re letting her do this. She starts vacuuming all my stuff. 1 hour later, she’s still vacuuming. I’m like...uhhhh. It’s nearing 7 pm and she’s still there. This lady has been cleaning our floors for 2 hours and trying to pitch us a vacuum after I’ve made it pretty dang clear we do not want the vacuum.

I finally tell her after 3 hours “hey, not to be rude, but we have a fitness class in like 15 minutes...” and she’s like “... :( ok it would take me way longer than 15 minutes to finish this demo. Ok, let me do one last thing.” She proceeds to carry this vacuum down my hallway and kicks open my bedroom door. She starts cleaning my mattress without asking.

20 minutes passes and I’m Like “um excuse me please we are going to be late” and she’s like “ok let me call my manager to pick me up”. She’s there for another half hour waiting for him. I ask her if this still counts as her final demo of the day, and she sighs and laughs sadly. “No, unfortunately if we don’t finish the 4 hour demo it won’t count”.

He shows up and tries to pitch us the vacuum for another half hour. We tell him no at least 15 times. The price goes down from $2,300 to $700 in a matter of minutes amidst “phone call deliberations” with his manager on the phone. Finally, he says “this is our final offer”. I’m like “no thank you”. He says ok. Packs up the stuff to leave. Then he’s like “can we please take the free gift back? We need it to advertise to other neighbors”. Very odd and wasted 4 hours of my time.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

There needs to be changes to the Kirby Vacuum cleaner to go with baby bombers. It’s still too heavy, too big for small home. We don’t need all those parts and be honest when showing them. The Vacuum is too wide. Cut them down for a smaller home. Yes I bought one 3 years ago because it was supported to be easier to handle. I just had both knee replaced and was having to have the hip replaced also. But the Vacuum was going to help me. Well after a long sales talk we got one. Now it sits in a closet because I can’t handle it. It won’t go under my kitchen cabinet but it was suppose to. I bought a Dyson wireless and love it. But if they would ever remodel the Kirby it might be a great Vacuum again.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

First of all I do like Kirby. I have had Kirby many years. The guys were going from door to door selling these. I told them to let me see if I could afford this but they were so persistent in me getting it. I was scared and told them over and over. No. But they left the Kirby there. I thought I was just saying I had the vacuum. I did sign the paperwork but told them I could not pay this much for a vacuum cleaner. I called up the Kirby and my bank and told them I felt too pressured to get it. I did not want it. I have not used it. They cleaned the rug but I did not use it. The same day they left it I called to cancelled it. It is in my house but you need to come get it. I cannot afford it. I already cancelled it with the Kirby lady and told her I tried to tell them but they did not seem to care. Just come and get it. I think they used it on another house because it had used rug it’s. I want a written letter I returned paper. I never had a person do that before. I DO Not Want IT. Sorry.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Yesterday I was relaxing in my living room when someone knocked on my door at 1pm. Normally I wouldn't have answered the door when I'm not expecting anyone but I was sitting in view of the front door window so the person knocking on the door could clearly see that I was home. I opened the door to a woman offering me dishwasher soap and initially thought she was a nice neighbor offering a house-warming gift since my fiancé and I had just moved in. She said something about asking if I could review a product for her and that I would get a free cleaning out of it, stating that her partner was finishing up at my neighbor's house and would be over in 10 minutes to do mine.

She left and I was immediately sketched out and quickly started moving any valuables I had out to my spare room as I was nervous these people might try to take something while in the house. I considered leaving my house with my dog quickly while she was gone but within one minute she was already back with her partner before I really had time put away all of my stuff and get out of the house. They come in with this huge box and tell me that they will be using a Kirby vacuum to clean and I knew then this was a huge mistake. They both stank of cigarette smoke and the guy looked sketchy. I tried to be polite and let the guy do his demo but made it very clear I would not be buying from him and I figured he would be gone within 10 minutes. HUGE MISTAKE.

One hour later he is still demonstrating the vacuum and he then asks to go in my bedroom to show off a different attachment. I politely say that I would like him to keep the demo to the living room and that I was not comfortable having him in my bedroom. I was also keeping my dog in the bedroom while he was doing this demo and I did not want to have to move her. He refused to take no for an answer and insisted he had to go in the bedroom for the demo despite me saying several times I did not want him to go there. I even lied to him saying that my German Shepherd in the bedroom was aggressive and may attack a stranger (in reality she's a sweetheart but I was desperate to get this man out of my house) and that didn't work either.

I was extremely uncomfortable with him insisting to go in my bedroom and didn't know what to do. I eventually let him in to clean the mattress but looking back I am really mad at myself for giving in to his demands and at him for continuing to pressure me to let him in despite me clearly saying no. The product seemed fine but I was very annoyed at this point that after repeatedly telling him I was not going to buy from him and could not afford it he would not stop.

I am a 23 year old graduate student with no income, paying out of pocket for my tuition so it should be pretty clear I cannot afford a nearly $3,000 vacuum. The guy would not give up and kept offering me lower deals that I kept declining. Even when he finally was packing up and seemed to be leaving him and the woman came back with 2 more offers trying to get me to buy going all the way down to $800. I continued turning them down and was so relieved when they were finally out of my house more than two hours later. Moral of the story, once these people are in your house they will not leave so don't give them that opportunity in the first place. They do not listen when you say no and will try to force themselves further into your house when you clearly do not want them to. The product itself seems fine but it is way over-priced and I will never purchase one in the future due to their misleading sales tactics.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

They came to our house, promising to clean a room for free as long as we advertise this service to our friends and families. At this time we were in the process of finding a cleaning company to come and clean our carpets so I agreed. The older guy said there was a younger guy finishing up a neighbor's home and will get to mine as soon as he can. After an hour, the older guy along with the younger guy comes to the house and brings in all their equipment. I asked them how much it would be to clean a room if we wanted to clean the other rooms. The older guy then says, well they are not an actual carpet cleaning company but are advertising for the Kirby vacuum cleaner.

The older guy then leaves and the younger guys starts handing me all these flyers, how he is trying to win a free vacation if he sells so many of these vacuum cleaners, almost trying to guilt trip me into buying one. My wife finally arrives and she was not interested in listening to any of his sales pitch. He would vacuum one little section of the carpet and shows me how much dust he collected. He would continue doing this for every little section of the living room and took him over an hour, leaving these little pieces of white papers everywhere. At the same time he would constantly engage me in small talk like he was interested in my life. (Keep in mind after I said, "No we would not buy." he stopped talking to me altogether).

Anyways he cleaned the bed in our bedroom and said look at all the dead skin he picked up from the vacuum, which my wife was not really impressed. He initially told me the vacuum would be 2800, but then he would call his boss (which I'm assuming was the older guy), and update the boss that I was interested which clearly I wasn't. He lowered the price to 2100 and gave me an estimated monthly payment. After I said no again, he called his boss again and this time lowered to 1800 and said they are giving me the family discount price. After I said no, he shampooed part of the carpet and said it would dry in 20 minutes (actually took like 8 hours to dry). He packed up everything and left after 3 hours.

I'm glad we didn't get scammed into buying this product, but upset because it took so long after telling me he just wanted to quickly clean my carpet and ending up trying to sell me this vacuum. I felt like I was stuck at a timeshare presentation and there was no way out, since they were in my home. My suggestion is to not let them into your house, unless you have 3 to 4 hours to spare and like your carpet wet without any real change.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Purchased Avalir complete vacuum & shampoo system back in October 2016, and have used the shampooer several times. Let me begin by saying it’s a chore just to lock down lever changing vacuum head to shampooer unit. You have to make sure belt is on roller brush or it will not clean. It's heavy. The Avalir Shampooer is not at all what I expected. You fight the machine just to get the water tank on... Unit does not pick up all the water. You see puddles and streaks and unit does not dispense shampoo evenly. Shampooer roller brush disengaged off unit grinding off one end of roller and damaging inside slot where brush sits leaving behind burnt plastic bits on my carpet.

I had to call Parts and Supplies at 1-800-437-7170, my Shampooer unit is broke “roller brush disengaged” chewing up unit/brush. I need Shampooer head/roller replaced. I spoke with Linda, I wanted to pay by check. "Well as soon as we receive your check will order your parts." I sent check out on July 26th 2018. I had to call. I left VM with Linda - no callback. I called today 8/7/2018, "We have not received your check." “WHAT.” Impossible. Ohio is not that far from California. "If you pay by credit card I can get your order." I’m not using credit card. I sent a check. Bottom line it cost me $20.00 to stop payment on the check. I have no shampooer at this point. No one told me it was this hard to order replacement parts. What difference does it make how I choose to pay. Don’t buy a Kirby.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I purchased my Kirby a year ago. First, you are told you are not obligated to buy. However, when told I didn't want it, I was told they had opened box and could not sell to anyone else, it would have to be scrapped. The purpose of doing the current sale was a promotion to give sales people opportunity to go to professional football game. I was put to the point of feeling guilty if I didn't make purchase. I purchased with much regret. First it's too heavy. I do not have strength in my hands so I am unable to get shampoo attachment in place correctly. I called and received a visit and was told to just use another attachment instead.

In my opinion, this vacuum cleaner is not at all worth the money I'm paying. Most times, I pull my old one out. The bags, are 12.00 for two and have to be ordered. I would sell it but would never be able to get the amount I owe. If I had not felt pressured, I would not have purchased. I was given an opportunity to get a scrap value because of pushing promotion. I had to respond by a certain time. I got dates mixed up, did not receive any type of follow call so missed the opportunity. However, it still, in my opinion, would not have been worth amount.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

My experience is not ended yet so I will update when I try to return this vacuum. Had a woman come to my door and say they wanted to clean and they could only get points and commission if I let her in to clean, she just wants to clean for me, after handing me a dollar tree bag of trash bags. I declined, told her I was working and had no time. At that point decent salespeople would back off, but no she kept pushing. By this time my roommate had come to the door and she talked her into letting her in. We had both figured they were selling those non-toxic cleaners which have bought in the past and like. I went back to my home office and the next thing I know when I walk out there is now a man in my house with a Kirby.

Ok for a short demo we will let him show us. It was hours. We told him he didn't need to show us anymore. We were tired and it was now hours later almost 10 pm but he insisted he had to. He was in training and required to show his boss all he did. It became grueling and at that point. and we kept trying to rush him on. My roommate who was not home when I bought my rainbow, was so impressed. Kept trying to explain that the rainbow demo had all the pads and showed us all the same dirt, no difference there. The Kirby has more tools and comes with the shampooing attachment whereas the rainbow it was separate and you would have to refer 3 people who would agree to let the rep do a demo to receive that.

For an hour my roommate kept asking the price, was interested and ready for the demo to just end, everyone has a life and time is money, but wouldn't give it until finished. So hours later he calls his boss, gives an initial offer, then his boss comes in and now I have 3 Kirby people in my house. They are negotiating price when they offer to take our rainbow, shampooer and vacuum to lower the price. NO, I am not stupid, stay away from my rainbow! The red flag of predatory sales practices. Roommate ask them to call her in a few days so she can think about it.

The lady said, "We are only here today, this the only chance we can give you to buy it." So the roommate ended up buying it but we now have company, come visit and these 3 Kirby people who spent another hour in our home and I just wanted them gone! The lady showed no manners or care that I was trying to entertain guest and just kept on. They took the other machines except MY rainbow. Then their pushy selves finally got the hell out of our home. They had said there is a lifetime warranty, anything breaks it is fixed or replaced at no cost. Not true, after they left we read through everything thoroughly and that is only true for the first 3 years, then there is portions that you have to pay. The guy doing the demo said if you lose a tool they replace for free. His boss said, "You lose a tool you can get new one for $10," don't believe that now.

Then the bags, said, "Two bags will last you 6 months to a year." Sorry but if the dirt is not escaping common sense would tell you that is impossible unless you live in a sterile environment. So my final assessment of the sales pitch? HORRIBLE, PUSHY, Invasive and dishonest. We have tried to use it since they left. Yes it picks up good, not sure any better than my rainbow which is light, and easy to use. This machine is bulky and difficult to use. My roommate will be calling today to return it since she has 3 days. It is a nice machine but then she wants her equipment back also. I felt they want to trade all your machines in so you will feel stuck. Why else? We are cringing on what we might experience when we try to return it.

Kirby sells a good machine, though very pricey, but the sales practices leaves a very very bad taste in my mouth. When I purchased my rainbow the saleswoman was polite, she didn't try to steal hours and hours from my day. She told me upfront how long the demo would be and tried to stick within that time, yet showed me adequately everything I needed to see. The Kirby practice felt almost like they were making it take forever so you would buy it to make them leave! Rainbow rep was honest in all the claims about warranty, etc. Kirby should be ashamed of how they sell their machines. A good machine sabotaged by predatory sales practices.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

They actually pushed their way into my home and sold me a cleaner that is not needed and when they cleaned my carpets, the padding underneath bunched up. I have several spots that it happened in my living room and dining room. The company they deal with to finance with are liars and I paid it off early and now they continue to harass me. I refuse to pay any more money to this company in behalf of Kirby dealers. My advice is to not let them come in for any reason. They lied and said the company had a dealer store here in my area but refuse to give me the address. Don't buy from them. I have also contacted the Consumer Affairs, Federal Trades Commission, and the Attorney General's office. Please all those who have issues please do the same as this kind I of unfair trade practices will stop.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I got a call a day or so ago asking us if we'd like 3 rooms of carpet cleaned free. I told the lady we don't have 3 rooms of carpet and we just moved into a new house 2 weeks ago. She said they could also do 3 pieces of furniture. We just happened to be looking for a product to use or someone to hire very reasonably priced to clean 3 items. So I told her that and asked her some questions. She said she could have someone come Thurs and absolutely free they would clean our items and no pressure because they were not trying to sell us anything. They just wanted to clean these items then ask our opinion like a survey on what we thought about this product. I asked more questions and she assured me it would not cost us one cent and no pressure to buy because they were not selling anything... so I agreed on between 4-5 come to do this.

She was pleasant and seemed honest. Why do I always believe people? I should know better by now. I asked the name of the product and she said Avalaire or something like that I had never heard of. I also asked her the name of the company and she said Brilliant Shine. So I agreed. We looked forward to getting the few spots off our furniture for no cost. They arrived around 4:30 and a man came in with a lady and left her off to pick her up later so she had no way to leave. Well... they lied to us big time. It was a Kirby vacuum cleaner and they stayed over 3 hours even though we repeatedly told them, "NO. We did not want to buy anything." And I told them everything the lady who called us said. NO pressure and nothing to buy. We were so frustrated and I am surprised my husband did not lose his temper. I was getting very close to losing mine.

They just kept on giving us other offers over and over for price and payments We had told them right out we are not interested and won't be interested and we did not want to buy it. Nothing we said made any difference... They kept showing us more things the Kirby does and kept saying how bad our Oreck vacuum is and on and on and on. I was getting sick and a headache. We had not eaten yet and they stayed till after 7:30... closer to 8:00 pm. My husband and I kept our tempers under control all night but we both were ready to kick them out if they had not finally left after a long long time. We only have one small room of carpet and don't need it or want it. We were honest right off and told them that but they didn't care no matter what we said. They kept pressuring us and making other offers. It was so annoying and upsetting.

I will never ever believe another person who calls with an offer to do something free for us. I am upset with the lady who called because obviously she knew that we would be pressured and that they were trying to sell us something... yet she said, "No, nothing to buy and no pressure to do anything." LIES, LIES, LIES. I am reading all these reviews and they all say the same thing. How can they expect an average retired couple to afford the price of over $2,600 for a vacuum. If I had that money I'd not buy that vacuum anyway. I think it is way too much for a vacuum. I'd buy something we needed or wanted before that. Actually I'd never pay that. The final offer they gave us was $1499.00. What? So if someone was pressured into buying that vacuum when they first came in... you would pay almost twice that price? That just shows me how much of a mark up they have.

I'm sure at the lower price they still would pay the lady doing the work and make a profit on this item. What a rip off and what a Liar the lady is that called us. Besides the lady that was here... (she was pleasant and I'm sure doing her job) but she was pressuring us and when her boss returned to get her he kept trying to pressure us more. Shame on them. You cannot believe anyone anymore or trust their word as true. I will never ever allow another person selling a Kirby vacuum in my house... not even in the front door. EVER!

This was a horrible experience and wasted over 3 hours of our time... And we never led them to believe we would change our mind and buy it. In fact we told them the opposite of that. I am so frustrated and upset now and I have enough to worry about since my dad just died recently and a lot is going on with us just moving. I have a good mind to try that lady's number who originally called and give her a piece of my mind. Do not be fooled by someone calling and telling you what they told me.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Let me start off by saying that this is my first vacuum cleaner I've purchased over $100 and I fell in love immediately with the suction power and array of capabilities of this machine. My husband and I have been shopping around for a new vacuum and also looking for a shampooer so when the salesman knocked on the door I was more than willing to hear and see the demonstration.

However, I needed to discuss the price with my husband who was at work at the time so they left after the demo and I called them back to make the purchase and sign the agreement. While I was doing the paperwork a gentleman came in with the vacuum, unpacked, set it up and said he would dispose of the box for me which I thought was helpful and also odd but paid no mind. I was told there were no bags available at the time and that they would be returning tomorrow to drop off bags and do a proper installation of the machine, which I agreed was fine as it was dinner time and with 3 boys you don't keep them waiting for supper.

After dinner I went to "play" with my new machine and noticed not only was the machine knicked up and scratched but also the buffing bin was still wet and the filter is filthy! I am now upset and feel like I just signed up to pay all this money for a used machine which I could have purchased off of eBay for half the price. The blemishes on the machine wouldn't be a huge deal because I understand how to polish but I feel I shouldn't have to be doing this before I've even had a chance to use it!

I also surrendered my old vacuum so feel I can not back out of the sale because who knows how long it would take to get my old vacuum back and it's not the machine I'm upset with, it's the condition! I am hoping that I can get a new vacuum tomorrow when they show up with my bags and hopefully a user manual. I would have rather just ordered from the Kirby site for this price and have a brand new vacuum! If they do not show back up tomorrow with what I require I will be contacting Kirby and the finance company as I believe if I am stuck with a used machine I should not be paying full price!!

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Meghan, Thank you for contacting us about your situation. If you still have not heard back from the distributor in which you purchased your Kirby from, please contact us at 1-800-494-8586. Thank you!

Original review: July 30, 2018

At first I loved it (Kirby Avalon vacuum) and then I realized how much better my older $60 vacuum was. It is such a pain switching this and switching that! The first salesman was great but then his boss came in and annoyed the crap out of me. Didn’t show me certain features, cleaners they gave me were half empty, noticed just how used the vacuum was after The salesman left, and they were in my house for the longest time. Even after They knew I had just gotten off of work and I was tired. Very inconsiderate on their part. Biggest mistake buying this thing and even worse it costs more than a couple cars I’ve owned. Hate this vacuum!

Original review: July 30, 2018

I'm sure the vacuum itself works well, but I will never buy a Kirby product due to the sales tactics used by the door to door salesmen. They tricked my wife into letting them in the house by offering an air freshener for free. Then a second salesman came in with the vacuum and didn't leave for an hour and a half. It took him half an hour to leave after I demanded that he end his sales pitch and leave the house. He then tried to guilt trip me into buying the vacuum by saying that I didn't care about my wife to give her the best tools to keep the house clean. He then used foul language in front of my daughter. It was a terrible experience.

Original review: July 23, 2018

We purchased a Kirby Avalir vacuum system January 9, 2016, and exchanged the G5 Kirby I had purchased 25 years ago for this new model. I never had one single issue with the G5 so thought it would be a solid upgrade. Within weeks, the new machine started smelling funny and often sounded louder than usual. I called the distributor who told me to change the belt. I did so, however, noted I hadn't had to change belts often on the old machine. The new machine continued to behave erratically-- smelled hot, seemed too loud, green light flickered on and off, seemed more difficult to push, etc.

Having been a Kirby owner, I am very particular about keeping the machine clean of debris buildup and assuring the bags are secure and belts are in good shape; but as time passed, the issues seemed to increase. In April of this year, the machine stopped working. I contacted Kirby directly because the local distributor from where I purchased it has closed and there are no local distributors. I also wrote to an address that the finance company directed me to contact requesting service.

Each response I've gotten has been to take the machine to a distributor. The closest distributor is 100 miles away, but I did load up the machine and attempt to take it once, only to find out they were closed. I have asked Kirby to send for pick up. It is poor customer support to not provide such service for a heavy duty machine that costs over $2000. My husband refuses to continue payments for the machine until Kirby replaces it.

The last time I called again, I was told my machine was most likely a "demo", and the representative said I shouldn't have waited so long to get it repaired! It is not easy to load up a heavy machine, take time out of my work week and drive it 100 miles to have someone tell me it is broken! I believe Kirby should arrange to pick it up and replace it--no questions-- when they charge the money they do for a machine! We would appreciate any assistance on our behalf to get this resolved.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi David, we are deeply disappointed to read about this, and are very sorry you had a frustrating experience with an independent distributor selling Kirby products. While we here at The Kirby Company are not a party to the agreements between these salespeople and the independently owned and operated distributorships of Kirby products with which they affiliate, we take situations likes yours very seriously. Please call us at 1-800-494-8586 for further assistance! Thank you!

Original review: July 23, 2018

I had a demo done in my home and have owned it for 3 years. I love this power of suction the vacuum has. It has lifted heavy dirt on the stairway. I did use the cleaner great for freshing up the carpet, but my carpet was really bad from the prior owner. I purchased a different cleaner to lift those stains. It has made the carpet stay really clean and has great tools for shutters, sofa, etc. I love the attachments. It helped me fluff back up the pad underneath the carpet and I didn't have to replace all the carpeting. It has the suction I needed for the stairs with the short handle to really pull all the dirt up. I am extremely pleased with it, and hope I never need a new vacuum again. The horse power is unreal.

Original review: July 19, 2018

Casey knocked on my door yesterday, it was vacuum day, so I let her in! It was such a great experience. She was truly excited to show me what it could do, she was so personable, friendly, and seemed truly interested in my family, and talked about her life. She was here about 4 hours, and I felt like I made a friend. I was truly interested in this vacuum and wanted to help her out, winning the trip, and getting commission. Then we start talking numbers, she had no authority on changing numbers to better suit my life.

In walks the manager, closer, pushy, and rude. He made me feel belittled, and ashamed because I couldn't make the decision to invest in this Kirby without talking to my husband. After all this talk about how his wife would do it, most women would make that decision without talking with their husband, is this true? Finally. I had so much frustration with him, I went and called my husband. My daughter stayed in the room with them, and I was back in the bedroom for privacy. My daughter Said he kept saying quiet, so he could hear my call. When he heard something my husband said, he crumpled the paper, and threw it in the piles of dirty filters. He kept saying, "I told you he would say no!" Very high pressure, shamed me, made me feel stupid because I needed my husband's permission. Which was not true, we discuss all major purchases together. Went great without him! What a jerk!

Original review: July 18, 2018

I have never had an experience like this before. Similar story as most. I live in a no solicitation community, but that did not stop the sales person from ringing my doorbell. Long story short, I wanted to cancel my contract, so on the last day I had to cancel I went to the address on my contract. It was an empty building as they had not moved in yet. So, I called the number and the phone just rung and rung. Next step, I called the finance company and got a message that they were closed. Today I called the number again and finally it's a working number and they have moved in the building. However they will not let me cancel my contract because it is outside of the 3 days. I haven't had this thing for a week and it was not my fault that the building was vacant. This is poor customer service and I will be telling everyone I know to stay clear of this company.

Kirby expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The Kirby Company is a division of the Scott Fetzer Company, which was founded in 1914. It is named after Jim Kirby, who designed the company's early vacuum cleaners.

• Scheduled demonstrations: Potential buyers can schedule demonstrations to help them decide whether they want to own Kirby vacuums.

• Useful tools: Kirby home care systems have tools that let them convert into everything from air pumps to carpet shampoo systems.

• Customer service: Kirby offers a wide range of customer services, including online how-to videos and phone support.

• Limited warranty: All Kirby vacuums come with three-year limited warranties.

• Maintenance services: Rebuild and maintenance services are available to lengthen the life of Kirby vacuums.

• Best for: Kirby's flexible vacuum system makes it useful for homeowners, renters, landlords and drivers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs