2.03/5

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

For nearly one-hundred years, The Kirby Company has manufactured superior, American-made home cleaning systems. Kirby does not sell directly to the public but continues a long tradition of distributing its home cleaning systems through independent distributors, who are responsible for running their own businesses. Over the years, this distribution system has afforded thousands of men and women the opportunity to live the American dream of owning and operating their own businesses.

Experience has taught us that customers prefer to try our premium cleaning systems in their own homes before purchasing. Customer satisfaction is our top priority. If customers have any questions or concerns regarding the in-home demonstrations of Kirby cleaning systems or the cleaning systems themselves, please email us at consumer@kirbywhq.com, or call us at 800-494-8586, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., EST.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1702 Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I got a phone call from Bright and Shiny saying that they will come out and clean my carpet for free. I asked if they were selling anything because I was not going to be buying anything. The lady on the phone stated, "No. It is just to get their company out there by word of mouth," a young man came out and I told him if you're selling something you might as well leave because I'm not buying anything. The gentleman said, "No. Just here to clean your carpets," then I see him bring this vacuum out and I was like great here we go. Long story short he did his demo. I said no I'm not buying anything then his manager comes into my house and bullies me for 2 hours till my husband finally caves and gets it and we have only used it 4 times. It does not vacuum it. The belt is always burning and I have gone through 4 belts. DON'T BUY A KIRBY.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

My story is similar to many others. A woman knocked on the door saying she was in college and had partnered with a new cleaning company to get money for school. (She said she received money for each demonstration she scheduled.) She said the company was just looking for exposure and an opportunity to demonstrate their cleaning services, and they would clean 2 rooms for free. I let her in, and she called a group of men to come to my house to demonstrate the vacuum. I'm going to do a lot of fast forwarding here, because they were at my house for over 3 hours. Long story short, after a lot of pressure, lies, and false advertising, I decided to buy the Avalir 2.

After using it just once and reading the owners manual, I realized I had made a mistake. Many of the features were falsely advertised during the demonstration, and I asked a lot of questions that were answered with blatant lies to get me to buy the vacuum. The vacuum has a limited 3 year warranty, not a lifetime warranty as I was told. One of the features I was interested in was being able to shampoo furniture. After reading the manual, I discovered that in order to shampoo furniture, you just spray cleaner all over it and then vacuum it once it's dry. Not exactly what I had in mind.

I was also interested in the blower feature, as I planned to use it to clean my garage. After reading the manual, I discovered the blowing feature can only be used for 60 seconds at a time and using it longer than that voids the warranty. Not as convenient as advertised. The carpet shampoo seemed to remove embedded pet smell from my carpets, but after about 2 days the perfume wore off and I realized the smell had only been masked, not removed. I thought having one machine to do it all would be more convenient, but it's actually more convenient to have multiple machines and just grab the one you need rather than having to switch out attachments.

Luckily, I was able to return the vacuum within the 3 day return window. The vacuum was picked up, but my vacuum they took for a trade-in was not returned. I have been assured that I will not be charged, but with how many lies I have been told by this company I'm not very confident that's true. In the end, I felt very uncomfortable with the sales tactics used, and I wasn't thrilled with the vacuum itself either. My old one was much easier to use, and I don't actually care if it leaves some dirt behind.

Get expert buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I had a knock on my door late last night by a Kirby salesman who said, "I’m here to Scotchgard your new carpet. It’s already been paid for." So since I bought a brand new home I assumed maybe it was part of what the builder does for you so I let him in at that point. He drags out this Kirby vacuum cleaner and said, "Have you ever heard of Kirby," and I said, "If I don’t known it was for Kirby I would not of let you in. I thought that the builders had sent you here." I told him I was not interested in the vacuum cleaner and he persisted on showing me this new 2019 model. He said only take 20 minutes to do that.

After telling him several times I did not want the vacuum he still proceeded to do his little demonstration on top of that he put his hose, his shampoos, his box and all his accessories to the vacuum on my brand new couch! I moved it off of my couch and set it on top of his Kirby box he proceeded to ask me personal questions where I live who’s in the military because he obviously saw the stickers on my car telling me he had military discounts, new homeowner discounts on anon, complemented me about my bedroom set and wanted to know if I was a single parent. It was all very personal and very unnerving.

I could not get that man out of my house fast enough. I cannot stand the pressure tactics. He also said to help him out because he was trying to win a trip Kirby may be a good vacuum cleaner but it’s not worth $3000 and then he tells me that he can turn in my other new vacuum and carpet cleaner and with the military and homeowner discount. I don’t to be paying about 1400 out the door box price but of course it cuts into his commission. I don’t like the persistence of these people and then if you tell them, "No thank you," they still want to bring their manager in to talk to you and get personal information. I will never ever buy a Kirby vacuum.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

We received a phone call asking us if we would like our carpet cleaned for £30, as our dog had just passed we agreed, a young lady turned up nice as pie, until it came to the buying part, my partner had enough and decided to go out, leaving me with 5 hrs of bullying tactics and she had eaten half tin of biscuits. In the end I agreed just to buy just to get rid of her, I felt violated after she left and just cried, 3 yrs later I’m struggling to pay for the Hoover it is sat in garage, don’t ever fall for the scam.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Yes my first mistake was letting the salesman in my home to do a carpet shampoo free. After paying too much I bought the sales pitch for my wife. She has rheumatoid arthritis badly in her hands and a few months she gave up trying to use the machine and went back to the Dyson. The attachments are so difficult that I can hardly make the changes. In the 10 month of ownership I approached the company wanting to return the machine under the (SENIOR) program, When I learned that the salesman was not a legitimate Kirby representative (so they say) hence they could not help me. The bottom line is Kirby is not interested in protecting their good name, only your money. So beware!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

After using this product for 3-4 years, my opinion has not changed. It is the most difficult product to use. I only use it to vacuum my carpets. To use the carpet cleaner is not easy. Too much disassemble/reassemble time spent. Every part of this machine weighs a ton!! I have offered to give it away for FREE but nobody is interested. Also very expensive to buy bags, shampoo. Not worth a penny I spent.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I bought my Kirby vacuum in 2000. I do not know how I end up meeting a representative from Kirby when I buy a new home. I loved the way it worked and all the features and I bought it. Later on I realized that it was a little pricey but I really liked the potency in this vacuum. After twenty year, I am still in love with my vacuum. I have not found a vacuum that works the way this vacuum work after so many years. It is worth paying more for a vacuum that will last so many years and will do the work. I will recommend this vacuum to everyone!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

This is by far the best vacuum you can buy for your home. It has 3 times the suction power of a Dyson, will pick up 2 or three times as much dirt out of your carpet as a Dyson, or any other brand. The Kirby will last for 25 or more years. They have a lifetime warranty. This is fantastic American made product. I have used a Kirby all of my life. I have used other machines that call themselves vacuums, but none of them compare to a Kirby. It is so frustrating to use another vacuum because they just don't work like my Kirby. They may be a little heavy, but they are easy to push and bottom line, you vacuum to get the carpet clean. If you want clean get a Kirby.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Okay a friend of mine gave this salesperson my number. We talked on the phone and they said will get our carpet cleaner for free so I was excited. They came at 7 pm because I wanted my husband to be around too. So we invited them in, They told us to first vacuum with our own vacuum. Later they used their vacuum. It was really impressive. The vacuum does a good job. This scammer explained to us how he wants to win a Trip if he gets 15 people to buy the vacuum. She were surprised because we thought they were coming to clean the carpet and go.

Later he called his boss and said that we'll be purchasing the vacuum. Mind you he had not even told us the price of the vacuum. Later he told us it was 2695, so I told him, "Let's first do some research about this vacuum then we'll buy it." He refused and told us that we get it today on a cheaper price which was 2100. He kept insisting, he even showed us a video of Oprah and how bugs' feces end up on our mouths. That's why when people wake up their mouth stinks. We kept insisting we don't have that money. He said we can put 0 down as long as we have a good credit. We told him "Right now we can't buy it." He reduce the price to 1500. The other thing the vacuum he wants to sell to us was the same one he goes around with it to people houses for demonstration. We told him no and he got very upset. He made me very uncomfortable. Am lucky my husband was there, they want to get me to buy something I don't need for 2695. Thank God.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I had a very skilled salesman come to my home and swindle me into buying this hunk of junk. Now I am stuck in ridiculous payments for years. I didn't realize how hard this vacuum is to use until after the 30 days, so now I am stuck.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I've had my Kirby Sentra for 6 years now. It's the best vacuum cleaner I've ever owned. I've had every other type of big box retail cleaner - Dyson, Shark, Toshiba, Sharp, Bosch, Dirt Devil, Hoover, and every type of shop-vac imaginable - and all have worked fine, however nothing compares to the Kirby. The Kirby is by far, one of the best vacuum cleaners made worldwide.

A few notes; a brand new Kirby is like a brand new Mercedes - they're expensive brand new. If you're looking to buy a Kirby, do what I did and buy a used one from eBay or Amazon. A Kirby is not some Chinese made piece of plastic junk - it'll last a lifetime and there are thousands of testimonials to back that up. It's a solid, heavy duty piece of American made machinery and the company has been in business since 1906. The brand has an international reputation for quality and performance that is over a hundred years old - so for those that don't know the history of the company and product, it's sold on a door-to-door basis, however you can find dealers that repair them and sell used ones.

Many reviewers seem to be in sticker shock at the price of a new Kirby, but put it in perspective. An iPad or tablet computer would set you back the same amount and you'd be lucky if the thing lasted 3 years. Used Kirby's are usually in fantastic shape, however there may be one that was used by some idiot to vacuum gravel driveways, so do your homework just like you would with a used car. Once you've familiarized yourself with your Kirby use it properly - don't lug it up and down the stairs, use the proper disposable cloth bags which do an excellent job of catching dust. The suction power on a Kirby is amazing as well. Once a year, just like your car, take it to a Kirby dealer for a major tune up and cleaning. You'll be glad you did. Your Kirby will last you for much longer than any other vacuum cleaner you've ever bought. I know, because every brand of vacuum cleaner I mentioned above, I don't have anymore. They all broke.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

When my father passed away in October, I got his and my mom's Kirby Sentria. All I can say is, “WOW !! !” It puts my other upright and all others before it, to shame. And the proof is in the dirt collection bag. I vacuum 2 to 3 times a week. Other vacuum’s bags would have to be replaced after many, many uses. But when I started using the Kirby, the carpet and floors were so filthy (I had no idea), I went through 3 bags in the first use. It made me sick to know that all the effort that I had been putting into keeping my floors clean was so pointless.

I liked it so much, I have bought a second Sentria, identical to it. Not because I had a problem, but because I have a large, single story, 4 bedroom, 2800 sq foot home. My spouse helps with the vacuuming and he was having to use the POS vacuum. So, now we both are vacuuming with the same awesome machines. Are they heavy? Yes, very. I would not recommend “one” for a multi story home. Definitely, get one per floor. But hey, it’s a good thing because these beasts are all metal. There’s very little plastic to break on or in a Kirby vacuum. They are built to last generations. They have suction like no other vacuum I’ve ever used. But it’s true, they do appear be be designed for dust, dirt and crumbs only. They do not pick coins or other small plastic or metal objects. I guess Kirby doesn’t want you to vacuum up something that accidentally made it’s way to the floor. It will spit it back out. Another good thing in my opinion.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

We really wished we had seen this website earlier. We recently were offered by the company Bright and Shiny a “free” carpet cleaning if we would allow a sales rep to demonstrate a Kirby Vacuum/carpet cleaner. We were assured there was no pressure to buy and that they would clean two full rooms They just wanted to highlight their machine. He did the demo using white & black filters which appears very impressive. But my $60 vacuum would do the same thing as we do live in the Coachella Valley which is surrounded by desert. He left the filters lying around to prove how good this machine was.

He then asked for a towel to prove that the cleaning fluid mixed with water would not soak into your carpet but would dry within 45 minutes and you would just have to vacuum the powder up. It took over 24 hours and even with fans on, the carpet was still damp in some places. There are black blotches all over the carpet, that the vacuum will not take out. Not only that, our tile floor had water marks all over it from the cleaner, so we had to wash the floor again plus clean out the sink he used.

The carpet is now such a mess, we have to hire a carpet cleaning firm to fix it so much for a “free” carpet cleaning. He started out with a high figure for the cleaner, but said he could give us a better deal as he needed the sale to win a ski trip to Tahoe. Because he was unable to make a deal with us, he made four more offers and the end figure ended up 60% less than the starting price. He was not happy when he left and roughly packed his gear up and left. Lesson learned... Nothing is free.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Kirby Avalir vacuum is literally the worst investment I have ever made. When the distributor comes to your house and shows you how to use the vacuum, he does a great job showing you how it picks up baking soda from your carpet. But when it comes to general use of this vacuum it is extremely difficult and heavy. It vacuums deep into your carpet. I will give it that much but anything on top of your carpet does not get vacuumed up. It will not do fuzzy cat hair as well as dog hair in anyway. It will not vacuum up small crumbs from under your table. You will go over it and over it and over it wasting your time vacuuming things that will not vacuum up. I am extremely disappointed with this vacuum. I called the distributor a couple months after I bought the vacuum, and he never returned any of my calls. I have contacted Kirby and haven’t heard back from them yet either.

The heaviness of the vacuum is ridiculous. There are plastic connectors to the heavy-metal vacuum part. Every time I pick it up I feel like the handle is going to break off. Carrying it up and downstairs is quite the task. You will be hit in the shins three or four times as you take steps while lifting it. It’s swings around and has no rigidity to the frame of the vacuum. I am not a small woman. I can lift heavy weights. But the effort that this vacuum takes to move from one room to the next or up and downstairs is beyond ridiculous.

I could go all day about how hard it is to put all the attachments on to it. I have read past reviews who said as soon as you get to know the vacuum you will love it. My question for them is, "How much time do you have to play with your vacuum?" Because it is quite intense to put everything together just to vacuum a corner out or a drawer out or stairs off. My suggestion is stay way away from Kirby and their vacuums. You could buy three or four good vacuums for the cost of this one. That would be at least 20 years of vacuums. Don’t buy it.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

KIRBY Vacuums are HANDS DOWN the BEST VACUUMS OUT THERE. First of all I want to say all those people complaining about Kirby Vacuums are way too LAZY to learn how to use the vacuum properly. If you actually take the time to learn how to use the vacuum properly, most of these reviews would be 5 star reviews. Clearly in reading these negative reviews people are not putting the belt on right. I use my Kirby almost daily and my belts last for months.

As far as the comments about the attachments being hard to use and supposedly hard to change. AGAIN most of these people are LAZY. Yes the Kirby's are heavy but that is simply because they are made very well hence the reason they last forever. They clean the best, and are very versatile. I WOULD NOT buy from a salesperson. You can buy a used one for the price you would pay for a piece of garbage at Walmart. Take the time to learn how to use your Kirby and you would be pleased. Kirby is the only way to go.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

This is the worst vacuum I've ever invested in. The day the salesman showed it to me, hmm, works fantastic. A week into, I went to use it and it's terrible. I moved and it barely picks crap up off my carpets and rug. Worst money ever spent!!! Now I'm stuck for 2 years with this monstrosity of a bill. Stupidest vacuum ever. I hate it. Like with a passion. The deepest passion. It ruined my mental stability dealing with this thing. Don't buy it if you're even thinking of buying it. Just stop and don't.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

Clearly the reviews other than how Kirby's are sold on here are caused from owner operator. Btw let me begin by saying we had a Dyson, Hoover & Dirt Devil and all are in our dump now. Wife had a Dyson when we married. After owning Kirby of my own for almost 20 years and using my mom's old design in the 60/70's I absolutely know the do/don'ts on them and I'll explain.

If the owners saying they don't have suction would only go to Youtube and watch vids or read how to set the machine upright, maybe even paid attention to the demonstration if they ever had one they'd know it's not set correctly so it will indeed fail to pick up dirt & small particles of paper. Its nozzle has to be set correctly or it will fail because Kirby aren't designed to just skim above carpet like a Dirt Devil, Hoover or Dyson etc.

Kirby are deep cleaning units that "when" set up right actually lift the carpet up off the actual floor in front of the suction head. So' if you don't see it lifting carpet you're not setting it right. Having said this Kirby does miss a serious step when teaching operation and so my own trial and error came into play. Missed step? Oh yes' because if you have small paper/plastic/food pieces lying all over the room then one must start with the Kirby vacuum just above the carpet like a cheap vac runs at first. This is where the above mentioned cheap vacs are set even at their lowest settings and why people "think" they clean so great when they actually miss the deep down dirt/sand that destroys all your carpet fibers over time.

Oh yes cheap vacuumed carpets look clean and you see the dirt in the canister but your deep dirt remains unless a Kirby gets it out. In truth "No" vac built today will get it all out not even built in wall vacs but nothing gets you as close to this as a Kirby. NOTHING! Now after what I call the top skimmer setting is ran, I set my Kirby to its "advertised" normal setting position as shown in the Kirby videos.

The reason for an extra step is there is no room between the roller brush and carpet for the larger pieces so it pushes them around since a Kirby actually lifts the carpet up. It's why it cleans under carpets too and others will not come close to that. So I just set mine exactly how Kirby says but I'll raise it a click or two as I encounter any larger pieces sitting on top of the carpet to allow it to pass between brush/carpet. Nothing hard about that and it makes a world of difference. Kirby must know it & should include it.

So if a Kirby working good/bad is all about the setting folks! Also there are several aftermarket bag companies selling bags too restrictive so buyer beware on your bags. Had some bad ones myself. Heavy? Not at all after learning how to use/pick it up correctly. I have 7 bad discs in my back and it's not an issue. I don't have stairs though but learn on vids how to pick one up right. It's not bad.

It's heavier built to last and have real power. Truth is lightweight electric motors have very little copper windings inside and why they simply wear out after a few yrs. Many today now use junk China copper plated aluminum winding even. This is for any electric motor btw, it need the copper to last. It's why Kirbys are passed down generations but many who inherit them have no idea how they even work and leave bad reviews everywhere and touting Dyson's rule when they don't.

They don't mention how many times the cheap vacs been to a shop or they're on their 3rd unit or motor in ten yrs. Simply stop in and ask any vacuum repair shop to see their back room you'll see what truly keeps them in business. Hoovers & Bissels but mainly Dysons line these shops. WATCH A KIRBY VIDEO OR READ UP ON THEM IF YOURS IS NOT VACUUMING, IT WILL HELP IN OPERATION. I ASSURE YOU... By far Kirby makes the best vacs made in over 100 yrs if you know exactly how to operate one. I can only hope these people never ever inherit bulldozers.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I could write a book about how awful this vacuum is. Way too heavy and difficult for almost anyone to operate, especially a middle age woman. I am not an invalid. Awkward and difficult to move and change out attachments. Cord does not stay in handle. Extensions always work their way loose. Runs over the cord. Stinks. Assured that it would not, that the hepa filtered vacuum bags would take care of. Not true at all.

I have pets. Vacuum bags do not contain the odor like I was promised. Loud. Loud. Loud. Cuss every time I use it. Height is wrong for anyone under 5'3". Salesmen are full of lies and markup financing is ridiculous. I have never in my 62 years of life been more disappointed in an expensive and worthless purchase. Do not make the same mistake I did. Don't buy this poorly designed piece of equipment!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

A salesman showed up on my doorstep (which I hate) and I told him I was UNABLE to purchase anything at this time so he asked if he could shampoo one room and that the company would pay him $25 to do it so I agreed. Never happened! He came in and went right to demonstrating the vac which I STUPIDLY purchased due to being told I qualified for zero int on the financing and that I would be able to get $800 for my 'old' Kirby and not to take any less. Again DIDN'T HAPPEN! I can't even get $700 for it or any offers even! I'm not that impressed with the NEW vac (the hatch keep falling off even though I DO twist them on!) and wish I had kept the Simplicity (that he took on trade in) which out-sucked the Kirby! I'm screwed now looks like! Wish I'd read the reviews BEFORE falling for this sales pitch!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Please take my warning! Spend your money elsewhere! Sure this Vacuum can do a lot but it can't do anything well. Just after a few months our carpet cleaner is broke (It really didn't clean that well) and we are back to renting a cleaner. The vacuum itself is nothing like it was the first few weeks. (At this point it's as good as a $50 one from Walmart.) I regret this purchase 100%!! If there is one thing I regret the most is letting them take my Bissell ProHeat 2X I bought just weeks before.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

If you read these reviews, it does make you wonder why Kirby continues to sell door to door. I happened to be visiting a friend when they showed up and did their demo. When I told them I had the cash to buy it but a vacuum cleaner was not a priority to me, they called for reinforcements. Long story short, got the cleaner, all the attachments and the shampooer for $900... By holding out.

That was in 2003. Here I am writing a review in 2018. Yes. 15 years. This machine is a tank!! Heavy, well built, and sucks like no other machine. I have a Shark that I use upstairs (which I thought was a good machine) but when I compare the cleaning job done by the Kirby, there is no comparison. It is heavy, switching from upright to using attachments is a pain... Unlike the more "convenient" machines available. But if you want a workhorse that in 15 years all you replaced were belts and a brush... and it can lift your carpet and really clean the dirt... this is it.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Please do not buy the Kirby Vacuum. I purchased my Kirby Avalir almost 2 years ago and I hate everything about it! The first problem is the suction is horrible, after vacuuming I still have to pick up by hand all the particles the vacuum leaves behind. Second, the vacuum is extremely heavy and it not convenient when using it to clean stairs. Finally, the price is definitely not worth it, base on the vacuum performance.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I just purchased my Kirby vacuum. It's amazing. I have tons of dog hair because I have several dogs and I couldn't find anything that would take the dog hair away. Salesperson was awesome. He showed me how the machine goes from a vacuum to his carpet shampooer which was exactly what I was looking for. I couldn't believe how dirty my floors were until he showed me a demonstration. Believe me it sucked up all of the dirt and hair that was in my carpets. I used it to vacuum my bed sheet on my bed. Hair is all gone. My dog had an accident on the carpet. I use the shampooer and it was gone completely. No smell nothing!

Yes the carpet shampooer and vacuum system is pricey. But it is a high-pressure suction that I was looking for and you cannot get that with a regular $60 vacuum. I have nothing to complain about with this product. It is heavy but it needs to be because it's powerful like an engine. It does the job. All the attachments that it comes with I can even clean my windows. So if you're looking for a vacuum carpet cleaning system that will suck up the deep down dirt and pet hair I don't mind paying $1,600 for my vacuum.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

For anyone wanting to buy a new vacuum cleaner, please avoid this brand! Where to start? When we moved into our new home, we were approached by 2 or 3 Kirby salesmen. They only sell door to door... This is not an old fashioned technique... It is a technique to lock you in so that it is virtually impossible to return this product. After the pitch, they presented us with the price... with financing, around $2000. At this point, I wanted to throw them out of the house, but they had suckered my missus in. She was convinced that this was a lifelong product that you could pass generation to generation. That is absolute BS and who wants a vacuum cleaner as an heirloom?

Other sales pitches included blowing my leaves with the attachments and blowing up balloons. What garbage. Anyways, I would have nothing to do with it but my poor wonderful better half signed on the dotted line, and they ended up taking my better, lighter vacuum cleaner with them as a trade in. Never, ever buy this product! It is heavy, clunky, and very old school. The upstairs hardly ever gets vacuumed now because it is a pain to lug this 30 pound monstrosity upstairs. About every 2nd vacuuming, the belt begins to snap and I have to change it. And I am very mechanically minded. This is an absolute pain in the **, dismantling this piece of trash and hoping the belt catches on their swivel lock system. Perhaps if there is someone you dislike, give them your Kirby and that would solidify your never reconciling the relationship.

Oh, how sweet the day will be when we replace this piece of junk and I am allowed to put this Kirby in a bonfire!!! Remember, for the price of this model, you literally could buy a new vacuum every three years for the rest of your life! Do the math! This is not worth a tenth of its ridiculous price. And by the way, go talk to your local independent vacuum cleaner repairman. He will definitely steer you away from this product and verify it is NOT truly American made. ** you, Kirby! Go Dyson, or Oreck, or any other brand!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

This woman came to my door and said she just needed to demonstrate on a small area carpet to win a trip. We let her in and she was here for hours. I told her that I couldn't do it, so she twitched her attention on to my husband. He convinced him to try and get the credit even though he does not work. She said he could use me for income. I said that I didn't want my name anywhere on this application as I can trying to buy a house and didn't want the hard pull on my credit. She said I did not have to even provide my SS number. I did not supply my SS number or my birth date, but less than 30 minutes later I got an alert that a hard pull was done. This is so illegal! I called and complained and they said they would have it taken off, but 3 months later and it is still there. I am getting a lawyer.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Cheryl, we are so sorry to hear about your experience with an independent distributor. Please give us a call at 1-800-494-8586 so we can further assist you. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

After reading other reviews about the Kirby company I just want to cry. I don't even know where to begin. I ABSOLUTELY HATE THIS VACUUM! It was a Sunday, my husband was outside doing yardwork and changing the oil in our vehicles, and I was inside taking care of our 6 month old daughter. They got to him before coming to the door, which is usually a good thing because he will not let a salesperson near me. I am too nice, gullible, and I guess you could say I always look at things on the positive side. So the lady came up to him and promised that she wasn't here to sell anything. I'm not sure what she said for him to agree to let her knock on the door, but here she was, now in my home.

I'm a mess, running on no sleep, trying to clean and deal with the baby. She says, "We're just going to show you something and at the end you tell us a yes or no..." Ok... well here comes another lady with this damn vacuum... says she wants to clean our floors. Um ok, knock yourself out. SHE WAS HERE FOR 5 HOURS! Our only day we have together as a family, and she would not leave! My husband wouldn't come inside until she left so he just found more stuff to do outside. So she's told me all this awesome stuff this vacuum can do and "how dirty my house is" "you don't want your little baby breathing this stuff in" making me feel like a complete failure as a mother.

ANYWAYS long story short I bought this vacuum! No matter how many times I told her we really couldn't afford it and I couldn't justify to my husband spending that much on something like this. Well she got it down to $40 a month so I figured we could do that. Here I am almost 3 months later and every time I look at this vacuum I want to kick it and throw it out of the window! Yeah it "can" do all this "cool stuff" but really it's a bunch of BS! My husband isn't going to lug this big vacuum outside to do the cars, we're not going to use it to spray paint? I can't use the hose while it's in the upright position, I can't stop tripping over it and having to pick it up every 2 mins when it's in sweeper mode.

It's just a completely ridiculous product. Haven't even attempted to try and clean grout or shampoo my furniture, for the worry that I will break the damn thing. It's so complicated. DEFINITELY NOT WORTH WHAT I OWE! $1600 DOWN THE DRAIN. I could buy the Dyson sweeper I wanted, Shark Rotator AND Bissel shampooer for less than what I owe and I would have loved them all! DO NOT FALL FOR THIS HORRIBLE COMPANY.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

The belt broke the first time I used it. Called the office that I bought it from. I was told I would be shipped a few belts right away. It's been over two months and still no belts. Sorry support. Had trouble replacing the belt. The site I was sent to wasn't much help. I had to find a site that explained it myself. If this is Kirby support for this price it just isn't worth it.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi John, please visit www.kirby.com and head over to our Support tab. From there, go to the How-To videos. There is one posted about replacing your belt. If this doesn't help, please give us a call at 1-800-494-8586 so we can walk you through the process. Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

The salesman immediately noticed how naive I was and quickly took the fact I have OCD and used it against me. He showed me terrifying images of dust mites and everything to get me to freak out. When I said I couldn't afford it they said I wouldn't have to pay till that February. By the time it came to start payment I had used the vacuum once a month. So like 4 times. I'm indebted 5000$ and since I've moved the vacuum has collected more dust then it's cleaned in the entire time I've owned it.

I wish I could get rid of it. I bought a small vacuum from Walmart for 22$ and it works just as well if not better. Every time I look at the damn machine I want to cry because I now have to pay 150$ for a vacuum I can't use (I DON'T EVEN HAVE CARPET ANYMORE) and struggle to find help to get food. I'm on disability welfare. I can barely afford my bills and that's before groceries. I regret ever opening that door and now I have a fear of answering doors. I hope that trip to Hawaii for the salesmen was worth ruining a young woman's life. I just want it gone and the debt to be over with. No one is even stupid enough to buy it from me.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

It was 6 pm on a Saturday when they knocked on my door and I assumed it was a neighbor needing something. Instantly a women tricked me, she said, "Would you give a honest review?" I thought okay I got a free air freshener I would just do their survey and be done. Nope this guy jumped out of this van that was parked at my neighbor's house, rushed in my home, started setting up this vacuum cleaner, did one demonstration. When I said, "No. Thanks." He left with the van.

Beware women because I was left with the woman salesperson for hour and half trying to convince me to buy this product. I mean it was nice but not for 2 grand regardless what it can do. Then instantly when I said I needed to discuss it with my husband, the salesperson said, "Okay. Here's the spouse isn't home discount and have it for free start paying on it in 80 days." I said no constantly. The salesperson kept using scare tactics like, "Do you know how far Indianapolis is because that's where they're from." "You're not cleaning your home well enough for your children." I finally told the salesperson to leave or the cops will be coming. I informed the salesperson, "You're being recorded from my security cameras. I have been texting with 911. I will give you 2 minutes to pack up your things."

Then the salesperson said, "I be back in the morning to speak with your husband." Of course my husband being my husband answer the door with the gun. But the moral of the story is the way the company use a tactic of leaving this woman salesperson in my home and driving off is very clever but so disrespectful. Why I would never buy from this company because it was morally wrong. The company knew most women wouldn't make her sit in the cold waiting for a ride or walking in the dark unfamiliar location with this heavy equipment.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Ok, I let the salesman in and he said he could show me he could clean my whole house in less that 20 minutes! He was quick because he had used it before. He said he got all the bed bugs! So then I was hooked, so I bought it. The finance rates outrageous. Too late to cancel at the time so I was stuck but really I wanted 2 figure out was the shampooer never got to use it or any of any attachments because it's too difficult. So it does vacuum. If you have 2 hours to put back together when trying to figure out the instructions on converting from vacuum to shampooer. AND he took my old vacuum cleaner THAT I WISH JUST HAD BACK!! With the finance rates a 1800 dollar vacuum cost me 3000.00 and that's with not a late payment. Oh it was also a demo. I'm just a fool I guess.

Kirby expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The Kirby Company is a division of the Scott Fetzer Company, which was founded in 1914. It is named after Jim Kirby, who designed the company's early vacuum cleaners.

• Scheduled demonstrations: Potential buyers can schedule demonstrations to help them decide whether they want to own Kirby vacuums.

• Useful tools: Kirby home care systems have tools that let them convert into everything from air pumps to carpet shampoo systems.

• Customer service: Kirby offers a wide range of customer services, including online how-to videos and phone support.

• Limited warranty: All Kirby vacuums come with three-year limited warranties.

• Maintenance services: Rebuild and maintenance services are available to lengthen the life of Kirby vacuums.

• Best for: Kirby's flexible vacuum system makes it useful for homeowners, renters, landlords and drivers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs