Kirby Vacuum Cleaners
2.52/5

Quit paying for costly home repairs

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

For nearly one-hundred years, The Kirby Company has manufactured superior, American-made home cleaning systems. Kirby does not sell directly to the public but continues a long tradition of distributing its home cleaning systems through independent distributors, who are responsible for running their own businesses. Over the years, this distribution system has afforded thousands of men and women the opportunity to live the American dream of owning and operating their own businesses.

Experience has taught us that customers prefer to try our premium cleaning systems in their own homes before purchasing. Customer satisfaction is our top priority. If customers have any questions or concerns regarding the in-home demonstrations of Kirby cleaning systems or the cleaning systems themselves, please email us at consumer@kirbywhq.com, or call us at 800-494-8586, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., EST.

View More View More

Quit paying for costly home repairs

1782 Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

Firstly I have read previous reviews of the sales pitches by 'independent' sales people and they all use the same tactics so the method must come directly from 'Kirby'. But if not perhaps you should take over your own sales. In our instance the two sales ladies 'invaded' us, that's the only way I can describe it. They handed me a bottle of cleaner leading me to believe that was what they were selling but that was just a distraction. Next thing we know they are in our house trying to sell us a vacuum. Before we know it is out of the box and the demonstration begins but not before the highly talkative one then said she had to take care of other customers and left in the car leaving the young girl with us...for nearly 2 hours.

She proceeded to vacuum showing how much dirt was in our house (shame, shame). Asked to see my vacuum which I got grudgingly and told her I couldn't be much longer as I was trying to cook supper. My husband told her that was enough but she didn't give up and he told her 5 minutes more only. Finally she packed everything up but slowly, cleaning every piece of the vacuum first before returning to the box. She called and texted for someone to pick her up but it was an HOUR before they came. This is the most disgusting sales pitch I have experienced, taking liberty of our time and inconveniencing us leaving a stranger in our house waiting for over an hour. We did not buy the vacuum and I will never buy a Kirby. Way too expensive and very bad sales.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hello Noella, Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your experience with an independent distributor. We take feedback such as yours very seriously, and have passed this on to our Consumer Relations department. If you wish to further speak on this matter and your experience, please give us a call at 1-800-494-8586 so we can gather even more information and further assist you. Thank you again for your time. -The Kirby Company

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

They knock at my door. Just finish installing tile all downstairs. Told them I wasn't interested!! Offered to do my carpet for free. He went on about wanting to win a trip. Would not leave my home until I bought one. After almost 4 hrs from 3000 down to 1300 and took my 2 vacuums I owned. Decided that it was way too heavy and too complicated to work so I called to cancel..huh you think they answered or returned my call!! Nooo. Now I'm stuck with vacuum that I can't even use. Had to buy a new one!! Yet still paying for this 1300 dollar Kirby. Imagine if I would have agree at 3000!! Warning. Do not buy these vacuums. They are thieves..and trust me you won't like them and will be sorry.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Brenda, we are very concerned with your review. Could you please provide us with a good number to reach you at so we can further assist and gather more information about the independent distributor you purchased from? We look forward to hearing from you! - The Kirby Company

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

One the vacuum cleaner is heavy very heavy for a woman that has a big two story house. They lie, you call and tell them what need to be done - two room carpet clean walls, a floors done from front to back of my house. He said they just told him one carpet and that's it. Ok, called to set up the next cleaning as before had to wait and a no show because the guy quit. Called to set up. The same thing, no show or call. Next he landed calls me, said he is coming and can I do him a favour and vacuum for him so I did. He came but I can't get the walls done. "Don't do that," the guy said.

I told non-stop telling people that buy this vacuum, that you come a do walls. Ok next I asked him why did I have to use my stuff for cleaning, he said the guy should not have did that sorry. [I had him clean my floors. It was not done right at all. It was still had dirt on it in the corners and place on the floor. He told me to buy a mop so he can come back and do it right]. I had a company in good standing come out to do my floors before and wax them and was very clean. So next I just had the vacuum cleaner a month and the belt breaks ok, but it's suppose to last a long time. It don't I use another vacuum to clean because it's so heavy for me to use, so I only bring out the Kirby to do heavier cleaning and I still have someone else to do it for me. So I had got two chairs and one couch beige in color, good and well built.

The only thing it was Stains on it so I called to get it clean. She came out, she seen it and told me I needed a zip brush that I did not have and other stuff I needed. I asked her how much, she said she will get that for me. Then she left and where she parked her car was way inside in my yard so I know she had to get out just right. Ok. She hit a park car right next to my driveway and took off, never left a note at all. Now I go out with my son law the next day and he sees it and so do I. She hit it hard, my daughter's car put a good size hit in it. My daughter's car is a box car, that what it looks like and the girl drives a med size car. Text her, she said yes but gave my daughter the run around about her car insurance number and she was never on.

While that was happening they called me a the next week saying that my stuff was not there yet. Ok and she will be out the next day. Ok please don't have me waiting if she don't show up. No one came or called me so I had to call. I was told that they were short of people and they will call me back soon. I text the girl that hit my daughter's car and told her she text my daughter and told her the guy that own the company told her that he dried the stuff I need off to me which was a lie. I called them up, told them why is this man losing saying that he gave me my stuff already and I told and not to have him come to my house anymore so I had to wait another week. I called up Kirby company told them in a week they called me telling me the cleaning company that they would have someone, come out to drop off my stuff I need.

I asked about what I needed to be done awhile back, "Oh sorry but we are short staff again." The guy came out just to drop off the stuff, that was done because if they are short staffed why bring it if the job couldn't be done right. So I had to wait for a call from the cleaning company to get more staff but Kirby company call and ask me did I get what I needed, yes can no yes. He dropped off the stuff but no he did not clean my crouch or two chairs. The lady said she would email them. They called and set up appointment that took close to a month to come out. And guess who shows up. The owner which I told them awhile back please not to send this man to my house for losing on me so by this time I gave up and just to get it done I let him one he used my cleaning soap that she gave me and more, that the other guy to use on my couch and my two chairs then asked me for a towel.

Ok then he just vacuum the couch and the two chairs without leaving the cushions at all of the back of the cushions off. Then I had to tell him, "You know that they can come off, they can move." He moved one back pillow down. I can't believe what I am seeing. Then he stay a little spray on a small stain and started to scrub, when I am looking at him when there are bigger stains but he start the top part then in the seat, then took the towel I gave him and wiped it off. Now I am looking at him. Do this he was just seeing the stray that came out the vacuum and shipping it down the whole time. They ask me, "Wow you have stains." I said yes then he ask me, "Do you think that bleach can go on here? I think I can get it out with bleach." I told him, "No you can't. It will destroyed the material of the couch and it is beige not white." Oh well then I told him to read the tag and see for himself.

Then he said that I can go on the Kirby web and buy some heavy carpet cleaning stuff that he can come back. The funny thing is he did not try at pre spray the big stain at all or try to scrub the big stain at all. He just did a very small one and where they was a stain it he did not spray anything at all. At the bottom of the couch or both chairs did not remove the back pillows on all of them or clean the whole arms or sides of couch or chairs at all but was done. That was crazy. He looked like he came, use up what was given to me, spray and a whip down with soap. At the end he had the nerve to say I need to call the Kirby company and tell them what I did and for me to hold on. I told him to leave my house now and he said, "I need to call them." I told him to leave my house right now.

This I had to look up how to clean a couch with a Kirby on YouTube channel. Wow the man from Kirby did it the right way and showed how to scrub stains everything the correct way not the wrong way like this man came and done to me today. After seeing this YouTube on how it's to be done I am so upset I can let out a mad scream right now and on top of that so many people have bad thing to say about this vacuum cleaner and the people behind them out there saying them don't buy it. It's not worth the time or the servers at all. Get a tray cleaning company or a maid services to come like it will. And now I know why he wanted to call Kirby and tell them so he can say that he came and did the job. No you did not do the job at all. That was the worst thing I have ever seen in my life ever.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Latrice, we are very concerned with your message about your experience with an independent distributor and Kirby System. Could you please provide us with a number to reach you at so we can gather some more information to best assist you? We have passed this information along to our Consumer Relations department in the meantime. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and look forward to hearing from you!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

This overpriced vacuum was sold to me by a door salesman, he sold me on the “lifetime warranty and great customer service”. I bought the Kirby Avalir 2 in April 2019, it stopped working in July 2019. The belt came off while I was vacuuming my rug and left a huge black stain. I tried replacing the belt and it won’t stay on. I’ve called the service department several times in the last month. They keep telling me they will get ahold of the dealer near me who sold me the vacuum, because the number on my contract is not the correct number. In fact, every number they give me is not the correct number!

It’s been months that I have not been able to vacuum. I have kids and a dog and this vacuum was supposed to be the best! I even traded in my Dyson Ball which was a huge mistake because I’ve had that vacuum for years and never had any issues with it. This purchase has been a biggest mistake. I will NEVER recommend this product or this company to anyone. Don’t waste your money in this scam, they will sell you a $2,000 vacuum and when it’s not working they don’t do anything to help fix it.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Tiffany, we are very concerned about your review! Did you call our Kirby World Headquarters Consumer Relations department? If not, could you please give us a call directly so we can gather more information and further assist you? Our number is 1-800-494-8586. If you tried that number and it doesn't work, please private message us a good number to reach you at so we can have one of our representatives contact you directly. We appreciate your patience and look forward to hearing from you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

A man came to our home, pushing his way in my house. We told him we immediately we didn't want to purchase anything. He said he promised his family a vacation & talked about his wife & kid who is at home crying to go on vacation. He went on & on about a discount. He promised a "female" discount then a discount for our current vacuum. This scheming low-life left my home with cash & my credit card info.

The worst part is when we changed our minds. This vacuum was too difficult to operate. I don't have time to take parts off & read some 20 "how-to" on working a vacuum. I want to plug it in & go... On their contract it said 3 days to cancel & it was 2 so we canceled. The company who handles their accounts is called Jean-Gilles & Associates. I was shocked to see a name runs it that barely speaks English because Kirby salesman talked about all their American made parts, etc... This J & Gilles Assoc. never gave us our vacuum back. They asked that we go pick up our vacuum even though on their contract it said they would return it w/in 10 days!...

After 15 days I still don't have my vacuum & noticed my credit card was debited 1300.00!!! I had to call again & try to understand the man at Jean-Gilles & Assoc. He told me that people usually stop payment so he never would of credited back my card. I now hate Kirby and what they stand for. They are hustlers & sneaky snakes. I have since read reviews & will get maybe a Shark or Dyson because they seem just as good and they are less expensive and I won't have to deal with the garbage at Kirby.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Molly, we are very disappointed to read about your recent experience with an independent salesperson. We take our customer feedback very seriously, so we appreciate you sharing your experience so we can review and look into this further. If you'd like to further discuss any more, please don't hesitate to reach out to our Consumer Relations department. Thank you! - The Kirby Company

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby?

Resolution response: Aug. 24, 2019

Hi Timonthy, we are sorry to hear about your recent experience with an authorized independent salesperson. We take consumer feedback very seriously, and appreciate your review so we review. If you would like to further discuss, don't hesitate to reach out to our Consumer Relations department directly at 1-800-494-8586. Thank you again! - The Kirby Company

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

Salesman stated lifetime warranty and all attachments included. Started at 3000. Worked down to $1818. Super expensive price. Wife wanted it so I caved in to purchase. Found out it is a 3 year limited warranty. So I have been lied to. Found out that some attachments he said we will get with our purchase were not present. Salesman followed the general routine you see in reviews. I agree that I would never recommend a company that can't list an MSRP for their product anywhere. The vacuum does perform good. Is it worth the price? No it is not. The way the vacuum is sold is the most shady way I've seen. It is worse than dealing with a car dealership. I would rate this vacuum as an $800 vacuum. But I spent more. I have 2 days to cancel. I will discuss this with my wife.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

I am very disappointed in Kirby and the sales company that sold it to me. This guy came to my house and said they just opened a carpet cleaning business and if I wanted one of my carpets cleaned. We decided we would let him in to clean the carpet. Then he brings in this big box with the vacuum in it and starts showing me how my vacuum is not picking up everything. I admit I was amazed. It took almost 3 hours before he finally cleaned my carpet because he was trying to sell me the vacuum. I finally said I would buy it. I did monthly payments because it was over $2500. He told me how it was a great investment and that I would never have to buy another vacuum.

After 3 days I realized I didn’t want the vacuum, so I sent in the cancellation. The only problem was it was a Sunday and I could not certify it to them. Therefore I didn’t have any proof that I sent it in. I called and called and left messages and no one ever called me back. My payment came due so I made the payment because I didn’t want it to show up on my credit. So I still didn’t know what to do. I have RA and it was so hard to move this vacuum around. Also it didn’t work that great on my laminated floors. I finally had to go out and buy another vacuum because the sales rep took my old vacuum. I feel like my hands are tied behind my back but I did find out that I have 6 months to return it under California State law because I have a disability.

I continue to call the sales office and continued to leave messages. I finally decided to call the credit company. They gave me a lecture that I should have called as soon as I sent in the 3 day cancellation notice but I told them I didn’t know I should’ve called them, I thought I needed to call the sales office. They finally gave me Kirby’s number and I called. The only problem with calling Kirby customer service is it takes well over hour almost 2 hours to get a hold of someone. I finally got a hold of someone and I was told to fax in my contract, a letter from social security and a letter from my doctor. I faxed my documents but I had to do it a few times because the lady from Kirby said she didn’t receive them. I also had my doctor fax a letter but the lady at Kirby keeps saying she didn’t receive it. Finally she said she received it but it didn’t have the doctors signature.

I called my doctor and he faxed in a doctor’s letter with a signature but now I am trying to get a hold of the lady at Kirby to see if she got it. Now I am told she is out until Monday. I feel like I am just getting the runaround. Oh ya did I mention that after I contacted Kirby customer service that a lady from the sales office finally called me back. I said, "I been trying to get a hold of your office and never received any calls back." She then begin to call me a liar saying she only received one call from me. I also told her no one called me back after I sent in the 3 day notice. She again said she never received it and there is nothing she can do. I told her that I have RA and that I have 6 months to return the vacuum if they don’t want to acknowledge the 3 day notice that I sent in. I told her that I spoke with the lady at Kirby and that’s when she rudely said, "Then you will have to talk to her", that she can’t talk to me anymore.

I am to the point where I feel like I am not getting anything accomplished. I am about ready to put a lawsuit in against the sales office and Kirby. I don’t want to do this but I feel like I don’t have any other choice. I have RA and this type of stress makes my RA flare. I just want to resolve this issue. I not even using the Kirby vacuum and I am still having to pay $89 a month on it.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Maria, our Consumer Relations team is working on your case so we can further resolve the situation. Thank you so much for reaching out!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

When you have to be trained on how to sell a product, it might be a good indicator that it’s not a worthwhile product. 2 men came to my home, immediately asked to come inside to do a demonstration, claimed it wouldn’t take longer than 15 minutes (yet they were in my house for over 3 hours), and were incredibly condescending in their pitch (“you’ve been LIVING in this dirt?! How can you be okay with turning down something that cleans dirt out of your carpet”). They would not leave my house unless I agreed to buy one. 3 days after the pitch, I go to vacuum my carpet again, and the belt immediately breaks. So now I have a broken vacuum, that I paid $1300 for, AND am going to have to regularly replace parts on. Complete **.

The vacuum itself is heavy and cumbersome. My Shark had infinitely better results, even if it left a lot of unseen dirt in the carpet. I’ve been living 27 years with dirt in my carpet. I think I’ll continue to survive using a vacuum that doesn’t get every microscopic piece up. The big pieces are all I worry about and the Kirby wouldn’t even get that. Return policy is its own slice of hell. Decide to take it back on Tuesday (bought 4 days before on Friday afternoon) and they said my 3 day grace period was expired. I didn’t get to vacuum my carpet a single time without it breaking. I will be seeking legal counsel on the matter because there's no way their predatory sales tactics and the false advertising is legal.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Anna, we are deeply concerned about your experience with an independent distributor and your Kirby purchase. We would love to gather more information to further assist you and investigate this matter. Could you please provide us with a good number to call you at or call us directly so we can further assist? We look forward to hearing from you and appreciate you coming forward with this matter. Thank you for your time. - The Kirby Company, Consumer Relations Department.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

A Kirby Sales rep came to our home to demo and sell their vacuum. Presentation was great and vacuum seemed like a great product but we were hesitant to spend so much money and financing at 22% interest so the sales rep said you have three days to change your mind and cancel it. No hassle return. We changed our minds, contacted the vendor that the sales rep worked for and sent in our signed cancelled contract receipt within the three allowed days. Never heard back from anyone at the company so we continued to call and send emails without any response. At this point, we were concerned so we started researching this company and their practices to find out that the credit application we signed was not for the company that showed up on our credit report. Once we finally tracked down the finance company to attempt to cancel our transaction we were told this happens all the time with Kirby vendor.

We were still making constant calls and emails to the company without any response so we dove into the actual contract we signed. Lo and behold there was a neat little clause that read once we submit the cancellation receipt to the company, the representative has 20 days to contact us and make arrangements to pick up the machine or it is ours free and clear. We were just at the 20 day mark with no response from the sales rep or the company he worked for so we sent them an email with a screenshot of the contract and let them know by all rights this vacuum was now ours free and clear of any charges.

The following day the company and the sales rep was calling us to arrange pick up of the vacuum. The rep let us know that he apologized for not getting back to us but that if we kept the machine he had to pay for it out of his pocket although he didn't seem to mind ignoring us for the last 20 days and sticking us with payments. Regardless of how these people tried to mess us around on this whole transaction, we did the "right" thing and returned the vacuum to the representative. Hopefully he will think twice before he tries to screw hardworking people out of their money.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Rikki, we are concerned with your experience with an independent distributor. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Could you please give us a call so we can gather some more information to further assist you and investigate? We look forward to hearing from you. Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

Had an experience today with a Kirby vacuum cleaner salesman, Alonzo ** out of Morganton, NC. He approached me by saying he was giving free samples just to make everyone aware of new store opening in Marion, NC. He wanted to demonstrate Kirby to a 91 year old female who didn't what he was saying. He offered to clean one room of carpet for her without any obligation to buy. After 2 hours I had to ask him to leave due to his high pressure salesmanship. Started out asking $2800 and his final offer was$999 after he called his boss to make me a deal.

He also stated he couldn't offer me any deals once he left the house. I told him I wanted to do research on the Kirby before making any commitments. He didn't appreciate me wanting to research and kept telling me I didn't understand. I liked the Kirby but would refuse to buy one based on this person's performance. How can a product that's suppose to be superior start at $2800 and come all the way down to $999? Too many attachments for an elderly person to contend with. I would not want Alonzo ** to demonstrate anything to me and I do not feel he represents Kirby effectively.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Teresa, we are concerned with your experience with an independent distributor. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Could you please give us a call so we can gather some more information to further assist you and investigate? We look forward to hearing from you. Thank you!

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Company Information