Kirby Vacuum Cleaners
Kirby Vacuum Cleaners
2.17/5

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Reviews

For nearly one-hundred years, The Kirby Company has manufactured superior, American-made home cleaning systems. Kirby does not sell directly to the public but continues a long tradition of distributing its home cleaning systems through independent distributors, who are responsible for running their own businesses. Over the years, this distribution system has afforded thousands of men and women the opportunity to live the American dream of owning and operating their own businesses.

Experience has taught us that customers prefer to try our premium cleaning systems in their own homes before purchasing. Customer satisfaction is our top priority. If customers have any questions or concerns regarding the in-home demonstrations of Kirby cleaning systems or the cleaning systems themselves, please email us at consumer@kirbywhq.com, or call us at 800-494-8586, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., EST.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1684 Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

There needs to be changes to the Kirby Vacuum cleaner to go with baby bombers. It’s still too heavy, too big for small home. We don’t need all those parts and be honest when showing them. The Vacuum is too wide. Cut them down for a smaller home. Yes I bought one 3 years ago because it was supported to be easier to handle. I just had both knee replaced and was having to have the hip replaced also. But the Vacuum was going to help me. Well after a long sales talk we got one. Now it sits in a closet because I can’t handle it. It won’t go under my kitchen cabinet but it was suppose to. I bought a Dyson wireless and love it. But if they would ever remodel the Kirby it might be a great Vacuum again.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

First of all I do like Kirby. I have had Kirby many years. The guys were going from door to door selling these. I told them to let me see if I could afford this but they were so persistent in me getting it. I was scared and told them over and over. No. But they left the Kirby there. I thought I was just saying I had the vacuum. I did sign the paperwork but told them I could not pay this much for a vacuum cleaner. I called up the Kirby and my bank and told them I felt too pressured to get it. I did not want it. I have not used it. They cleaned the rug but I did not use it. The same day they left it I called to cancelled it. It is in my house but you need to come get it. I cannot afford it. I already cancelled it with the Kirby lady and told her I tried to tell them but they did not seem to care. Just come and get it. I think they used it on another house because it had used rug it’s. I want a written letter I returned paper. I never had a person do that before. I DO Not Want IT. Sorry.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Yesterday I was relaxing in my living room when someone knocked on my door at 1pm. Normally I wouldn't have answered the door when I'm not expecting anyone but I was sitting in view of the front door window so the person knocking on the door could clearly see that I was home. I opened the door to a woman offering me dishwasher soap and initially thought she was a nice neighbor offering a house-warming gift since my fiancé and I had just moved in. She said something about asking if I could review a product for her and that I would get a free cleaning out of it, stating that her partner was finishing up at my neighbor's house and would be over in 10 minutes to do mine.

She left and I was immediately sketched out and quickly started moving any valuables I had out to my spare room as I was nervous these people might try to take something while in the house. I considered leaving my house with my dog quickly while she was gone but within one minute she was already back with her partner before I really had time put away all of my stuff and get out of the house. They come in with this huge box and tell me that they will be using a Kirby vacuum to clean and I knew then this was a huge mistake. They both stank of cigarette smoke and the guy looked sketchy. I tried to be polite and let the guy do his demo but made it very clear I would not be buying from him and I figured he would be gone within 10 minutes. HUGE MISTAKE.

One hour later he is still demonstrating the vacuum and he then asks to go in my bedroom to show off a different attachment. I politely say that I would like him to keep the demo to the living room and that I was not comfortable having him in my bedroom. I was also keeping my dog in the bedroom while he was doing this demo and I did not want to have to move her. He refused to take no for an answer and insisted he had to go in the bedroom for the demo despite me saying several times I did not want him to go there. I even lied to him saying that my German Shepherd in the bedroom was aggressive and may attack a stranger (in reality she's a sweetheart but I was desperate to get this man out of my house) and that didn't work either.

I was extremely uncomfortable with him insisting to go in my bedroom and didn't know what to do. I eventually let him in to clean the mattress but looking back I am really mad at myself for giving in to his demands and at him for continuing to pressure me to let him in despite me clearly saying no. The product seemed fine but I was very annoyed at this point that after repeatedly telling him I was not going to buy from him and could not afford it he would not stop.

I am a 23 year old graduate student with no income, paying out of pocket for my tuition so it should be pretty clear I cannot afford a nearly $3,000 vacuum. The guy would not give up and kept offering me lower deals that I kept declining. Even when he finally was packing up and seemed to be leaving him and the woman came back with 2 more offers trying to get me to buy going all the way down to $800. I continued turning them down and was so relieved when they were finally out of my house more than two hours later. Moral of the story, once these people are in your house they will not leave so don't give them that opportunity in the first place. They do not listen when you say no and will try to force themselves further into your house when you clearly do not want them to. The product itself seems fine but it is way over-priced and I will never purchase one in the future due to their misleading sales tactics.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

They came to our house, promising to clean a room for free as long as we advertise this service to our friends and families. At this time we were in the process of finding a cleaning company to come and clean our carpets so I agreed. The older guy said there was a younger guy finishing up a neighbor's home and will get to mine as soon as he can. After an hour, the older guy along with the younger guy comes to the house and brings in all their equipment. I asked them how much it would be to clean a room if we wanted to clean the other rooms. The older guy then says, well they are not an actual carpet cleaning company but are advertising for the Kirby vacuum cleaner.

The older guy then leaves and the younger guys starts handing me all these flyers, how he is trying to win a free vacation if he sells so many of these vacuum cleaners, almost trying to guilt trip me into buying one. My wife finally arrives and she was not interested in listening to any of his sales pitch. He would vacuum one little section of the carpet and shows me how much dust he collected. He would continue doing this for every little section of the living room and took him over an hour, leaving these little pieces of white papers everywhere. At the same time he would constantly engage me in small talk like he was interested in my life. (Keep in mind after I said, "No we would not buy." he stopped talking to me altogether).

Anyways he cleaned the bed in our bedroom and said look at all the dead skin he picked up from the vacuum, which my wife was not really impressed. He initially told me the vacuum would be 2800, but then he would call his boss (which I'm assuming was the older guy), and update the boss that I was interested which clearly I wasn't. He lowered the price to 2100 and gave me an estimated monthly payment. After I said no again, he called his boss again and this time lowered to 1800 and said they are giving me the family discount price. After I said no, he shampooed part of the carpet and said it would dry in 20 minutes (actually took like 8 hours to dry). He packed up everything and left after 3 hours.

I'm glad we didn't get scammed into buying this product, but upset because it took so long after telling me he just wanted to quickly clean my carpet and ending up trying to sell me this vacuum. I felt like I was stuck at a timeshare presentation and there was no way out, since they were in my home. My suggestion is to not let them into your house, unless you have 3 to 4 hours to spare and like your carpet wet without any real change.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Purchased Avalir complete vacuum & shampoo system back in October 2016, and have used the shampooer several times. Let me begin by saying it’s a chore just to lock down lever changing vacuum head to shampooer unit. You have to make sure belt is on roller brush or it will not clean. It's heavy. The Avalir Shampooer is not at all what I expected. You fight the machine just to get the water tank on... Unit does not pick up all the water. You see puddles and streaks and unit does not dispense shampoo evenly. Shampooer roller brush disengaged off unit grinding off one end of roller and damaging inside slot where brush sits leaving behind burnt plastic bits on my carpet.

I had to call Parts and Supplies at 1-800-437-7170, my Shampooer unit is broke “roller brush disengaged” chewing up unit/brush. I need Shampooer head/roller replaced. I spoke with Linda, I wanted to pay by check. "Well as soon as we receive your check will order your parts." I sent check out on July 26th 2018. I had to call. I left VM with Linda - no callback. I called today 8/7/2018, "We have not received your check." “WHAT.” Impossible. Ohio is not that far from California. "If you pay by credit card I can get your order." I’m not using credit card. I sent a check. Bottom line it cost me $20.00 to stop payment on the check. I have no shampooer at this point. No one told me it was this hard to order replacement parts. What difference does it make how I choose to pay. Don’t buy a Kirby.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirby?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I purchased my Kirby a year ago. First, you are told you are not obligated to buy. However, when told I didn't want it, I was told they had opened box and could not sell to anyone else, it would have to be scrapped. The purpose of doing the current sale was a promotion to give sales people opportunity to go to professional football game. I was put to the point of feeling guilty if I didn't make purchase. I purchased with much regret. First it's too heavy. I do not have strength in my hands so I am unable to get shampoo attachment in place correctly. I called and received a visit and was told to just use another attachment instead.

In my opinion, this vacuum cleaner is not at all worth the money I'm paying. Most times, I pull my old one out. The bags, are 12.00 for two and have to be ordered. I would sell it but would never be able to get the amount I owe. If I had not felt pressured, I would not have purchased. I was given an opportunity to get a scrap value because of pushing promotion. I had to respond by a certain time. I got dates mixed up, did not receive any type of follow call so missed the opportunity. However, it still, in my opinion, would not have been worth amount.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

My experience is not ended yet so I will update when I try to return this vacuum. Had a woman come to my door and say they wanted to clean and they could only get points and commission if I let her in to clean, she just wants to clean for me, after handing me a dollar tree bag of trash bags. I declined, told her I was working and had no time. At that point decent salespeople would back off, but no she kept pushing. By this time my roommate had come to the door and she talked her into letting her in. We had both figured they were selling those non-toxic cleaners which have bought in the past and like. I went back to my home office and the next thing I know when I walk out there is now a man in my house with a Kirby.

Ok for a short demo we will let him show us. It was hours. We told him he didn't need to show us anymore. We were tired and it was now hours later almost 10 pm but he insisted he had to. He was in training and required to show his boss all he did. It became grueling and at that point. and we kept trying to rush him on. My roommate who was not home when I bought my rainbow, was so impressed. Kept trying to explain that the rainbow demo had all the pads and showed us all the same dirt, no difference there. The Kirby has more tools and comes with the shampooing attachment whereas the rainbow it was separate and you would have to refer 3 people who would agree to let the rep do a demo to receive that.

For an hour my roommate kept asking the price, was interested and ready for the demo to just end, everyone has a life and time is money, but wouldn't give it until finished. So hours later he calls his boss, gives an initial offer, then his boss comes in and now I have 3 Kirby people in my house. They are negotiating price when they offer to take our rainbow, shampooer and vacuum to lower the price. NO, I am not stupid, stay away from my rainbow! The red flag of predatory sales practices. Roommate ask them to call her in a few days so she can think about it.

The lady said, "We are only here today, this the only chance we can give you to buy it." So the roommate ended up buying it but we now have company, come visit and these 3 Kirby people who spent another hour in our home and I just wanted them gone! The lady showed no manners or care that I was trying to entertain guest and just kept on. They took the other machines except MY rainbow. Then their pushy selves finally got the hell out of our home. They had said there is a lifetime warranty, anything breaks it is fixed or replaced at no cost. Not true, after they left we read through everything thoroughly and that is only true for the first 3 years, then there is portions that you have to pay. The guy doing the demo said if you lose a tool they replace for free. His boss said, "You lose a tool you can get new one for $10," don't believe that now.

Then the bags, said, "Two bags will last you 6 months to a year." Sorry but if the dirt is not escaping common sense would tell you that is impossible unless you live in a sterile environment. So my final assessment of the sales pitch? HORRIBLE, PUSHY, Invasive and dishonest. We have tried to use it since they left. Yes it picks up good, not sure any better than my rainbow which is light, and easy to use. This machine is bulky and difficult to use. My roommate will be calling today to return it since she has 3 days. It is a nice machine but then she wants her equipment back also. I felt they want to trade all your machines in so you will feel stuck. Why else? We are cringing on what we might experience when we try to return it.

Kirby sells a good machine, though very pricey, but the sales practices leaves a very very bad taste in my mouth. When I purchased my rainbow the saleswoman was polite, she didn't try to steal hours and hours from my day. She told me upfront how long the demo would be and tried to stick within that time, yet showed me adequately everything I needed to see. The Kirby practice felt almost like they were making it take forever so you would buy it to make them leave! Rainbow rep was honest in all the claims about warranty, etc. Kirby should be ashamed of how they sell their machines. A good machine sabotaged by predatory sales practices.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

They actually pushed their way into my home and sold me a cleaner that is not needed and when they cleaned my carpets, the padding underneath bunched up. I have several spots that it happened in my living room and dining room. The company they deal with to finance with are liars and I paid it off early and now they continue to harass me. I refuse to pay any more money to this company in behalf of Kirby dealers. My advice is to not let them come in for any reason. They lied and said the company had a dealer store here in my area but refuse to give me the address. Don't buy from them. I have also contacted the Consumer Affairs, Federal Trades Commission, and the Attorney General's office. Please all those who have issues please do the same as this kind I of unfair trade practices will stop.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I got a call a day or so ago asking us if we'd like 3 rooms of carpet cleaned free. I told the lady we don't have 3 rooms of carpet and we just moved into a new house 2 weeks ago. She said they could also do 3 pieces of furniture. We just happened to be looking for a product to use or someone to hire very reasonably priced to clean 3 items. So I told her that and asked her some questions. She said she could have someone come Thurs and absolutely free they would clean our items and no pressure because they were not trying to sell us anything. They just wanted to clean these items then ask our opinion like a survey on what we thought about this product. I asked more questions and she assured me it would not cost us one cent and no pressure to buy because they were not selling anything... so I agreed on between 4-5 come to do this.

She was pleasant and seemed honest. Why do I always believe people? I should know better by now. I asked the name of the product and she said Avalaire or something like that I had never heard of. I also asked her the name of the company and she said Brilliant Shine. So I agreed. We looked forward to getting the few spots off our furniture for no cost. They arrived around 4:30 and a man came in with a lady and left her off to pick her up later so she had no way to leave. Well... they lied to us big time. It was a Kirby vacuum cleaner and they stayed over 3 hours even though we repeatedly told them, "NO. We did not want to buy anything." And I told them everything the lady who called us said. NO pressure and nothing to buy. We were so frustrated and I am surprised my husband did not lose his temper. I was getting very close to losing mine.

They just kept on giving us other offers over and over for price and payments We had told them right out we are not interested and won't be interested and we did not want to buy it. Nothing we said made any difference... They kept showing us more things the Kirby does and kept saying how bad our Oreck vacuum is and on and on and on. I was getting sick and a headache. We had not eaten yet and they stayed till after 7:30... closer to 8:00 pm. My husband and I kept our tempers under control all night but we both were ready to kick them out if they had not finally left after a long long time. We only have one small room of carpet and don't need it or want it. We were honest right off and told them that but they didn't care no matter what we said. They kept pressuring us and making other offers. It was so annoying and upsetting.

I will never ever believe another person who calls with an offer to do something free for us. I am upset with the lady who called because obviously she knew that we would be pressured and that they were trying to sell us something... yet she said, "No, nothing to buy and no pressure to do anything." LIES, LIES, LIES. I am reading all these reviews and they all say the same thing. How can they expect an average retired couple to afford the price of over $2,600 for a vacuum. If I had that money I'd not buy that vacuum anyway. I think it is way too much for a vacuum. I'd buy something we needed or wanted before that. Actually I'd never pay that. The final offer they gave us was $1499.00. What? So if someone was pressured into buying that vacuum when they first came in... you would pay almost twice that price? That just shows me how much of a mark up they have.

I'm sure at the lower price they still would pay the lady doing the work and make a profit on this item. What a rip off and what a Liar the lady is that called us. Besides the lady that was here... (she was pleasant and I'm sure doing her job) but she was pressuring us and when her boss returned to get her he kept trying to pressure us more. Shame on them. You cannot believe anyone anymore or trust their word as true. I will never ever allow another person selling a Kirby vacuum in my house... not even in the front door. EVER!

This was a horrible experience and wasted over 3 hours of our time... And we never led them to believe we would change our mind and buy it. In fact we told them the opposite of that. I am so frustrated and upset now and I have enough to worry about since my dad just died recently and a lot is going on with us just moving. I have a good mind to try that lady's number who originally called and give her a piece of my mind. Do not be fooled by someone calling and telling you what they told me.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Let me start off by saying that this is my first vacuum cleaner I've purchased over $100 and I fell in love immediately with the suction power and array of capabilities of this machine. My husband and I have been shopping around for a new vacuum and also looking for a shampooer so when the salesman knocked on the door I was more than willing to hear and see the demonstration.

However, I needed to discuss the price with my husband who was at work at the time so they left after the demo and I called them back to make the purchase and sign the agreement. While I was doing the paperwork a gentleman came in with the vacuum, unpacked, set it up and said he would dispose of the box for me which I thought was helpful and also odd but paid no mind. I was told there were no bags available at the time and that they would be returning tomorrow to drop off bags and do a proper installation of the machine, which I agreed was fine as it was dinner time and with 3 boys you don't keep them waiting for supper.

After dinner I went to "play" with my new machine and noticed not only was the machine knicked up and scratched but also the buffing bin was still wet and the filter is filthy! I am now upset and feel like I just signed up to pay all this money for a used machine which I could have purchased off of eBay for half the price. The blemishes on the machine wouldn't be a huge deal because I understand how to polish but I feel I shouldn't have to be doing this before I've even had a chance to use it!

I also surrendered my old vacuum so feel I can not back out of the sale because who knows how long it would take to get my old vacuum back and it's not the machine I'm upset with, it's the condition! I am hoping that I can get a new vacuum tomorrow when they show up with my bags and hopefully a user manual. I would have rather just ordered from the Kirby site for this price and have a brand new vacuum! If they do not show back up tomorrow with what I require I will be contacting Kirby and the finance company as I believe if I am stuck with a used machine I should not be paying full price!!

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Meghan, Thank you for contacting us about your situation. If you still have not heard back from the distributor in which you purchased your Kirby from, please contact us at 1-800-494-8586. Thank you!

Original review: July 30, 2018

At first I loved it (Kirby Avalon vacuum) and then I realized how much better my older $60 vacuum was. It is such a pain switching this and switching that! The first salesman was great but then his boss came in and annoyed the crap out of me. Didn’t show me certain features, cleaners they gave me were half empty, noticed just how used the vacuum was after The salesman left, and they were in my house for the longest time. Even after They knew I had just gotten off of work and I was tired. Very inconsiderate on their part. Biggest mistake buying this thing and even worse it costs more than a couple cars I’ve owned. Hate this vacuum!

Original review: July 30, 2018

I'm sure the vacuum itself works well, but I will never buy a Kirby product due to the sales tactics used by the door to door salesmen. They tricked my wife into letting them in the house by offering an air freshener for free. Then a second salesman came in with the vacuum and didn't leave for an hour and a half. It took him half an hour to leave after I demanded that he end his sales pitch and leave the house. He then tried to guilt trip me into buying the vacuum by saying that I didn't care about my wife to give her the best tools to keep the house clean. He then used foul language in front of my daughter. It was a terrible experience.

Original review: July 23, 2018

We purchased a Kirby Avalir vacuum system January 9, 2016, and exchanged the G5 Kirby I had purchased 25 years ago for this new model. I never had one single issue with the G5 so thought it would be a solid upgrade. Within weeks, the new machine started smelling funny and often sounded louder than usual. I called the distributor who told me to change the belt. I did so, however, noted I hadn't had to change belts often on the old machine. The new machine continued to behave erratically-- smelled hot, seemed too loud, green light flickered on and off, seemed more difficult to push, etc.

Having been a Kirby owner, I am very particular about keeping the machine clean of debris buildup and assuring the bags are secure and belts are in good shape; but as time passed, the issues seemed to increase. In April of this year, the machine stopped working. I contacted Kirby directly because the local distributor from where I purchased it has closed and there are no local distributors. I also wrote to an address that the finance company directed me to contact requesting service.

Each response I've gotten has been to take the machine to a distributor. The closest distributor is 100 miles away, but I did load up the machine and attempt to take it once, only to find out they were closed. I have asked Kirby to send for pick up. It is poor customer support to not provide such service for a heavy duty machine that costs over $2000. My husband refuses to continue payments for the machine until Kirby replaces it.

The last time I called again, I was told my machine was most likely a "demo", and the representative said I shouldn't have waited so long to get it repaired! It is not easy to load up a heavy machine, take time out of my work week and drive it 100 miles to have someone tell me it is broken! I believe Kirby should arrange to pick it up and replace it--no questions-- when they charge the money they do for a machine! We would appreciate any assistance on our behalf to get this resolved.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi David, we are deeply disappointed to read about this, and are very sorry you had a frustrating experience with an independent distributor selling Kirby products. While we here at The Kirby Company are not a party to the agreements between these salespeople and the independently owned and operated distributorships of Kirby products with which they affiliate, we take situations likes yours very seriously. Please call us at 1-800-494-8586 for further assistance! Thank you!

Original review: July 23, 2018

I had a demo done in my home and have owned it for 3 years. I love this power of suction the vacuum has. It has lifted heavy dirt on the stairway. I did use the cleaner great for freshing up the carpet, but my carpet was really bad from the prior owner. I purchased a different cleaner to lift those stains. It has made the carpet stay really clean and has great tools for shutters, sofa, etc. I love the attachments. It helped me fluff back up the pad underneath the carpet and I didn't have to replace all the carpeting. It has the suction I needed for the stairs with the short handle to really pull all the dirt up. I am extremely pleased with it, and hope I never need a new vacuum again. The horse power is unreal.

Original review: July 19, 2018

Casey knocked on my door yesterday, it was vacuum day, so I let her in! It was such a great experience. She was truly excited to show me what it could do, she was so personable, friendly, and seemed truly interested in my family, and talked about her life. She was here about 4 hours, and I felt like I made a friend. I was truly interested in this vacuum and wanted to help her out, winning the trip, and getting commission. Then we start talking numbers, she had no authority on changing numbers to better suit my life.

In walks the manager, closer, pushy, and rude. He made me feel belittled, and ashamed because I couldn't make the decision to invest in this Kirby without talking to my husband. After all this talk about how his wife would do it, most women would make that decision without talking with their husband, is this true? Finally. I had so much frustration with him, I went and called my husband. My daughter stayed in the room with them, and I was back in the bedroom for privacy. My daughter Said he kept saying quiet, so he could hear my call. When he heard something my husband said, he crumpled the paper, and threw it in the piles of dirty filters. He kept saying, "I told you he would say no!" Very high pressure, shamed me, made me feel stupid because I needed my husband's permission. Which was not true, we discuss all major purchases together. Went great without him! What a jerk!

Original review: July 18, 2018

I have never had an experience like this before. Similar story as most. I live in a no solicitation community, but that did not stop the sales person from ringing my doorbell. Long story short, I wanted to cancel my contract, so on the last day I had to cancel I went to the address on my contract. It was an empty building as they had not moved in yet. So, I called the number and the phone just rung and rung. Next step, I called the finance company and got a message that they were closed. Today I called the number again and finally it's a working number and they have moved in the building. However they will not let me cancel my contract because it is outside of the 3 days. I haven't had this thing for a week and it was not my fault that the building was vacant. This is poor customer service and I will be telling everyone I know to stay clear of this company.

Original review: July 15, 2018

Kirby vacuum cleaner. Need I say more? It stopped working in three days! Tried to contact the people who sold it to me. They did not call me back! They showed themselves to be unscrupulous. Can you help me get out of the contract? They worked much too hard to get me approved. The machine don't work so I don't want it!

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Regina, we are disappointed to hear about your experience. Please contact our Consumer Relations department at 1-800-494-8586 for further assistance. Thank you!

Original review: July 12, 2018

Worse Company EVER!!! And the product is Awful!! They come in make it big presentation of how great a product it is. Completely freak you out thinking your clean house is filthy. Con you into buying a vacuum/Shampooer only to find out that it is more difficult than they made it look. Plus the shampooer part is just an overrated Febreze. They tell you that you have 30 days to return when actually it is only 3. That is not even enough time to get over your initial shock that they put you through. DO NOT GET SCAMMED LIKE THE REST OF US!!

Original review: July 7, 2018

Alright... Let me first start by saying my grandmother and my mom have both owned Kirby's. So I've heard of them and have used older models. 2 younger men came to our home, said they were just in the area and wanted to clean a room for us and that we weren't obligated to buy anything at all. Come on now... anyone that comes to your door wanting to give away free stuff or wants to just show you something is obviously going to try to sell you something. But anyway, we let them come in and do the demo. The guy that did the demo said he was new and he couldn't explain all the attachments, all he did was talk about needing to sell 14 more to win his free trip. Whatever... idgaf. I bought one anyway.

I don't write many reviews about products because I've never seen the need to. But I've read a LOT of these reviews and the vast majority of them do a LOT of complaining about the salespeople. SO WHAT!?! Those people... even if they are annoying or pushy... are just trying to make a living. The point I want to make in this review is the fact that everyone seems so concerned with how the salespeople act or what they say or supposedly lie about, that they lose focus on what the review should be about. THE ACTUAL VACUUM/CLEANER. My thoughts on the demo/salespeople wasn't great at all. The company needs to come up with a better strategy for their distributors. My thoughts on the Kirby (Avalir 2) itself. There are many pros and many cons, but to name a few...

PROS... 1. All in one. Vacuum, shampooer, carpet, hardwood, grout, tile, fans, windows, etc. With all the attachments.... anything can be cleaned. 2. Space. With it being all in one... all the attachments and cleaning supplies can be kept in 1 place, depending on your storage. 3. Its light weight movement when it's in drive... it glides very easily across carpets and floors. 4. The company will detail the machine for free once a year. 5. It does do a great job with vacuuming and shampooing. It wasn't at first but after a few YouTube videos... I found out that I wasn't taking and putting the attachments on correcting (green to green, red to red) and the belt wasn't letting the rollers move. 6. Warranty.

CONS... 1. It's heavy, I didn't weigh it but I watched a YouTube video of a guy putting it on a scale and it weighed 22.6lbs. It's interesting that it can be so heavy yet move so easily. 2. Having to take it apart and back together for different areas or attachments. (BUT I will add that it gets easier once you learn how to use it properly it doesn't take as long and doesn't seem as overwhelming.) 3. The price!!! 4. Bags. This is the first I've owned that needed bags and I'm not fond of that but it's easy to replace and they aren't expensive. (And for those reviews that complain about the bags being $10-13 each... who buys a 1,500-2,000 vacuum that doesn't have the 10 bucks to spare every few months. It's like buying a 50k car and then complaining about needing to spend 30 bucks on an oil change.)

5. Wear shoes while using it. I can't count how many times I've backed it up right into my feet. I've never done that with other vacuums but for some reason I do with this and it hurts... lol. Basically... just like with anything, the Kirby may or may not be for you. I'm keeping mine. I love it. But I can see why some others don't like it.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I purchased an Avalir complete vacuum & shampoo system from an in-home demo. I am 75 year old and have owned numerous Kirbys. The new Avalir shampooer is a piece of crap. It does not pick up the water leaving very dirty brown streaks. Plus it does not dispense the shampoo evenly. I gave the 3 stars based on the vacuum cleaner part. It is still the best vacuum cleaner in my opinion. I have owned Kirbys since the early '60s. My Mom, Mother-In-Law, my Son & my Daughter all have owned Kirbys. What a shame they have put out a cheap plastic shampoo system.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I was cutting my grass and a salesman was already in my house showing my wife this very heavy and un customer friendly machine. This person was very pushy and stated he can win a trip if we buy. Last night my wife used this product and said it smells like dog, we do own a border collie. She used it on the hardwood floors and it looks like someone roller skated on my kitchen. She only weighs 110 pounds and it fell on her at least three times. I would not recommend this sweeper to my worst enemy. I would like to cancel my contract at any cost. We purchased this sweeper on June 14 2018.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Two representatives showed up today and kept harassing my elderly mother to the point of illness despite her asking them to respect the no soliciting sign and explains she owns a Kirby and what model and that she doesn't need a Kirby. They continue for over 5 minutes beyond her asking them to leave again. I had to come from over 100 ft away stacking firewood out back to stop these two and demand they follow the law, obey the sign and leave. They tried conning me into believing a solicitor's permit allows them to do as they please. I was polite until this point at which I demanded they leave due to trespassing. They refused and harassed us both for 10 minutes straight lying outright about the laws while continuing to trespass.

They then finally left after I kept laying down state law and city ordinances the whole time. They then phone their van and have them harass us by stopping in the middle of the street cussing, screaming, hollering, catcalling and being racist for several minutes. Being outnumbered 8 to 1 I demanded they leave or I'd be forced to protect myself against their violent behavior as they kept trying to intimidate me and act like they were going to start an altercation. They sped off and came back twice more. Police were called to report the incident and they hid out for 15 minutes approximately and came back to the neighborhood. Police were called again. They tried to file a false report and lied to officers when two squads rolled up on them catching them. All 8 are blacklisted. I will never buy anything Kirby and next time Kirby drops by they will be greeted by police each time without discussion anymore. Shady, illegal practices.

Original review: June 11, 2018

These are the best vacuums on the market. I've owned 3 in 30 years and they are built to last. The best vacuums for pet homes, top quality built. Never ever clogs. I own 6 german shepherds who shed like crazy and the Kirby kicks butt every time. No vacuum on the market can compete with a kirby, I've had the Dyson, the Hoover and the Shark and there is no comparison. They all clogged on me and couldn't handle the dog hair. Not my kirby. Always easily suctions up all the hair. These are amazing vacuum cleaners. My only complaint is they are a heavy vacuum.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I have had my Kirby for four years now. Had it refurbished twice now, only because it was looking dingy. I have not had to pay a dime since my warranty covered it all. I LOVE MY KIRBY. It cleans very well and yes a little heavy. But if you know how to use it it is a wonderful product to own.

Original review: May 31, 2018

On April 3rd 2018 my wife and I had people come to the door saying they would clean a room of carpet for free, needless to say they were selling vacuums. They were quite pushy and stayed about 3 to 4 hours. My wife kept saying we were not going to buy the vacuum, well I finally said ok and bought one. My wife asked about the bags that went in the vacuum because we have a lab and with our other vacuum we have to replace the bag about every month due to the fact that dog hair will start to smell. The salesman told my wife this vacuum would not have a odor and we would only have to replace the bag every 6 months as the Kirby bags cost $10 per bag. Well let me tell you this is the worst machine we have ever owned. The shampoo for this machine has made my carpet smell like vomit and Kirby is suppose to be the elite vacuum.

I have recleaned my carpets three times and cannot get the odor out and if Kirby is so great why can I put a new bag in this machine and vacuum my carpets and my wife will go right behind me with a Hoover bagless and the cup is full of dust, dirt and dog hair. I feel this company is very misleading about the performance of their products. They also charge different prices for different people, not to mention they took a Bissell carpet cleaner and a Hoover wind tunnel from my house when they left, saying that was part of the deal they gave me on this worthless machine.

I have owned Hoover vacuums and just bought the Bissell carpet cleaner about a year ago and I am going out today to buy another Bissell machine to get the puke smell out of my carpets. I still own a Hoover upright vacuum, so I won’t have to replace that. I think Kirby is the most uncaring and non customer friendly co. Please anyone who reads this review should never purchase a Kirby, worst product and worst co, ever!!! Oh and if you do buy one from the very pushy sales people and you own a pet, you will be spending $120.00 a year for bags. If I option to rate 0 I would.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I had a shady experience with Kirby this evening, so I went online to look into renting one to give it a try before my father purchased it. I ran into these reviews, which completely mirror my own experiences and explain why I was not comfortable with their presentation. I was on my way to an appointment when they arrived in the evening, around dinner time. I was actually having a bite to eat when they came. Since they said that they were going to clean the carpet and couch, I removed the clean laundry off of the couch so that they could clean it right.

I take care of my father whose reasoning skills are inhibited due to age and medical issues. Kirby reached out to him one day when I was not home and set up an appointment to clean the carpets. Today, they came around 5:45 pm to sale the vacuum under the guise of cleaning the carpets. As a spoiler alert, the carpets were never cleaned, sans the entryway to my dad’s bedroom that served as the demonstration of the vacuum’s abilities as a necessary insurance for our most prized possessions in our house.

This is what I did not like: 1) They stayed for three hours! 2) It was obvious that they prey on people that seem like they’ll take the bait and purchase this over-priced product. 3) Way too pushy! He must’ve asked my dad roughly about 20 times if he was ready to purchase the vacuum today. I had to be aggressive with my father until he finally told the young salesperson “no” and tore up the contract that he had began signing. The guy had a clear attitude that he didn’t get the sale and then began cleaning the entire vacuum from the presentation on our carpet without asking. I thought it to be presumptuous and rude. It also made an awkward situation even more awkward!

4) They left the salesman at my house, giving him no way to leave earlier than their desired time that they clearly set. 5) He gave the same spiel/sob story about wanting to earn a vacation for his 19th birthday that is similar to other scenarios that I read here. He also stated that he was trying to earn money for college tuition, but when I mentioned other resources for obtaining financial aid, he actually looked dumbfounded. Our customer satisfaction should not be centered around his vacation goals, with the product being the driving force.

6) They tore the mattress cover on my father’s bed using the Kirby. When I presented this to the manager, he gave me a card... FOR RECRUITING! He thought he was slick when he did not give me his cell number, as he pretended to not have any more of his own business cards. Instead, he told me to contact Ashley and have her connect me to the owner, Nick. He actually wanted me to give him my receipt. I suggested taking a picture of it and sending it to the person who could refund us the value of the mattress cover. To see that it was an issue for them to even do this, demonstrated to me that I do not want to do business with the company. The salesperson’s response to tearing the mattress pad was, “my bad..” He was young and needed to learn that when you make those types of accidents, you must be responsible for it. I’m not holding my breath that someone will actually replace the mattress pad, but it would be the right thing to do.

7) For each time I stated reasons for not wanting the vacuum, the salesperson shot back with his pre-scripted reasons for why it is a great purchase. Anyone who has dealt with a number of sales knows that if a product is that good, they don’t force you to buy it. They give you the information and allow you to make a decision. GREAT PRODUCTS SALE THEMSELVES!!! What I didn’t hear in their presentation is that, given that my father is a senior, they’d give him time to think about the offer and decide if it was something that he could even afford! 8) I found the free carpet cleaning deceptive and am glad that I was home to derail the purchase of this vacuum. There’s got to be something else on the market that can clean similarly and make house chores much easier.

9) Overall, it felt like they were targeting my father because he is a senior and sickly. There are many seniors in this neighborhood. Let’s be vigilant to protect our loved ones against people/companies like this who do not respect one’s time or freedom to say “no”. I missed an appointment dealing with these people, and also wondered if I’d have to call the police to get them out of our house! 10) **Check your windows and doors! I found the front window used in the demonstration was unlocked and opened. After an experience like the one we had today, it makes me feel unsafe in my own neighborhood.

11) Side note: The sales person had to keep calling into the contest desk in order to show us what the vacuum could do. I actually heard the manager on the other end telling the novice what to say to my father! I was right there to respond to his statements. I kept my cool because I wanted them gone, but it was THE WORST sales experience that I’ve ever been a part of in my life! I do not recommend this product because of their shady techniques. IF it sounds too good to be true, it’s probably because it is! Buyer, beware. Do your research before you purchase a Kirby vacuum cleaner.

Original review: May 27, 2018

A lady came to our door telling us she was our new neighbor and was starting her own business. She said she contacted the police to ask if she could go door to door to hand out flyers for free services. They told her she could do that. She gave us the bright pink flyer which stated they would clean one of the following: carpet, tile, grout, hardwood, laminate, at NO CHARGE but this offer was only for today. She came in and looked at our floor and I told her I would like my grout cleaned and treated. She said she would also fluff up the carpet.

The workers were at another house and would be here in about 15 minutes. I said that was fine. Two minutes later there was a knock on the door and she said the workers were here sooner than she thought. One guy came in and proceeded to get his Kirby out of the box. I asked what he was doing because I was supposed to get the grout cleaned. He didn't know anything about that but that since he was here, he might as well show us the Kirby. I told him we are not purchasing anything, we saw this demonstration years ago. After half an hour, he finally packed up and left. I never saw any grout cleaners like they said. This is just a big scam to me. I found out she was not my neighbor; she misrepresented herself because the street she told me she lives on is not in my development. They gave some information on the bottom of the slip: Call Go Distributing 209-518-7819. I tried calling but got no answer.

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Betty, we are disappointed to hear about your experience with an independent distributor and your Kirby system. Please contact our Consumer Relations department at 1-800-494-8586 for further assistance. Thank you!

Original review: May 23, 2018

We have been using Kirby Vacuums for over 40 years. The last one was bought less than 18 months ago. We only used this vacuum about 2 or 3 times contingent upon the fact that, we are in an advanced stage of aging. At the time of purchasing this was not an issue, however, circumstances do alter cases. I have made about 10 calls to several departments and asked them to kindly consider the circumstances and either; take back the Vacuum and cancel the sale or, support us in a way that all parties will be satisfied. The account is paid up to November 2018, and of course, we are in the month of April, therefore, we are in excellent standing with the company financially.

Over the past 40 years of doing business with Kirby, we found them to be excellent. Suffice it to say, over this period we never asked them any favour/s. Reflective upon this period of negotiation we have just found out that many of the senior people with whom we have to speak are: very abrupt, unapproachable, have no tolerance other than to effect a sale. We are disappointed. Many times we call we end up with abrupt people who immediately toss us to another department. "The products are good but management tactics are corrupt". We would like Kirby to amicable settle our account. (Many of the people with whom we speak told us to give away the product and continue paying for the product.)

After 40 years, we hereby conclude that Kirby is somewhat fraudulent, deceptive, or uniquely unscrupulous. Kirby! You have fooled us in certain ways for over 40 years. You have a very good business however, you are killing it. We are sorry that we have ever done business with you. Reflective upon all these specificities, you should concur with us that, the organizational cultures of your company is rotten and needs to be reorganized. Kirby, we are awaiting your new decision, be credible and make one now.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Too heavy. Any minor issue breaks the vacuum belt. Too many multi layers to accomplish one such as a hose for individualize cleaning spots such as spider webs. Purchased from a nice door to door sales person. Have door ringer now and will not answer if sales.

Resolution response: June 7, 2018

The Kirby Company answered my complaint. They left a phone # to Consumer Relations and I called them that same day. I told them that I wanted to return my Kirby Vacuum and get a full refund under their policy the "Golden Ager/Disabled Consumer Purchase Cancellation Procedure". Monica from Consumer Relations asked me some questions and wanted me to fax copies of proof of disability and a letter from my doctor. After I got those copies to Consumer Relations. In 1-2days I got a phone call from MAX Sales, Inc. on June 6, 2018 telling me that they were coming to pick-up the Kirby Vacuum Cleaner in the afternoon. MAX Sales, Inc. received the vacuum and I will be getting my full refund.

Original review: May 20, 2018

On December 23, 2017, I purchased a Kirby Vacuum Cleaner. I was so happy about getting the vacuum cleaner, I did not think about all the lifting of the vacuum cleaner I would be doing (I am disabled and being treated for a neck and lower back injury). From day one I have not used the vacuum cleaner. I've been thinking of a way to cancel my vacuum cleaner and returning it. After 4mos., I found a policy you have. The Golden Ager/Disability (Regardless of age) which restricts or prevent the consumer's use of the Kirby System, may cancel and rescind the purchase transaction up to 9 mos. after the date of purchase.

I called MAX Sales, Inc. (the company the salesperson worked for, Mike **) on May 8, 2018, in the morning and talked to someone named Max (he told me he would call me back in the afternoon). Then on May 19, 2018, I called in the morning and left a message for Max and a phone number. I'm still waiting for that phone call. Now it's May 19, 2018, no word yet. Is this the type of Distributor you want, selling your brand name product in the state of Hawaii. I'm very sad and disappointed. ALOHA and MAHALO!!

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners response

Hi Kyle, we are disappointed to hear about your experience with an independent distributor and your Kirby system. Please contact Consumer Relations at 1-800-494-8586 for further assistance. Thank you!

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners Company Information