Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home
Whirlpool Refrigerators
1.15/5

Whirlpool Refrigerators

Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home

1524 Whirlpool Refrigerators Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

My side-by-side lasted 2 years 3 months. It stopped cooling. Lost all my food. Inconvenienced by waiting for repair service. Had to take a vacation day from work. This refrigerator replaced a 13 yr old GE and the one in my garage is 25+ years old and still going strong. No help from Whirlpool or Lowe's. I will never own a Whirlpool anything ever again.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I purchased a Whirlpool brand refrigerator from PC Richards two months ago. The compressor has stopped working causing my refrigerator to stop cooling and in turn all my food has gone bad. I reached out to P.C. Richards and they immediately credited me a check for the full amount of the refrigerator, with the option to get a new one delivered to me. I asked P.C.R. customer service if I would be credited for the food in my fridge and they suggested I reach out to the manufacturer. I reached out and, to my dissatisfaction Whirlpool will not credit me for the loss of the food in the refrigerator. I am completely disappointed.

As I mentioned before I purchased the fridge 2 months ago. This is clearly a manufacture issue. I purchased a lemon and I am getting no support from Whirlpool customer affairs department. As a person who works for a reputable company in the purchasing department, I will see to it that we never do business with this company again. A company that doesn’t stand for anything or even compensates their customer for a faulty product should not be in business. Forgot to mention the customer affairs rep. Offered me fifty dollars for my troubles. Which I turned down. Besides the fact that fifty dollars will not cover a third of the items in my fridge, money is no longer the problem. It is the lack of customer service for purchasing one of their appliances. I am completely disappointed and will never recommend or purchase this product again.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I bought a Whirlpool Refrigerator from Lowe's 2 1/2 years ago. I just noticed it's starting to rust on the stainless steel door. I purchased a 5 year extended contract for $169.00 from Lowe's. Nowhere in the contract does it say rust is an exclusion. When I called Lowe's for repair I was told rust was not covered under warranty. Obviously I'm not happy with Whirlpool appliances and Lowe's service.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

New Whirlpool Refrigerator makes roaring noise like a broken engine. Whirlpool's 2 technicians listened and confirmed but said that as the refrigerator works they can do NOTHING about it. Whirlpool management would not respond to repeated requests. Don't even get near ANY Whirlpool products!!!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Bought the refrigerator in december 2017. Called them 2 times already and just called them again on sunday. They are coming out friday the 15th again to fixed a leaking problem. The first time was the freezer was freezing up a lot of ice which they claimed it was the rubber on the bottom door of the freezer was not sealing tight enough. Second time the refrigerator was leaking so much water I was literally drying up water everyday and have towels on the floor to prevent my new floor from damage. Leaking starts again same problem. Completely frustrated now. Going to contact Consumers Affairs to see what further action I can take.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

This Whirlpool refrigerator/freezer Model W10314956B was purchased from Lowe's on June 29, 2012. Recently noticed rust appearing under ice/water dispenser tray. Requested warranty service, but was told the problem was considered "DUE TO WEAR & TEAR"! TOTAL COP-OUT! There are NO MOVING PARTS in this area; how can there be 'WEAR and TEAR'? To my mind, this can only be charged as SHODDY MANUFACTURING or INADEQUATE QUALITY CONTROL by the manufacturer.

This appliance is only 6 1/2 years old! Consumers expect refrigerators to last much longer than that. The only possible cause for this problem is as stated above: poor quality control by the manufacturing plant, and I completely discount being told the problem was due to 'WEAR and TEAR'! I will think long and hard before I ever even CONSIDER purchasing another Whirlpool product, and maybe YOU SHOULD TOO!

One issue that keeps gnawing at me is HOW, since this is supposed to be a 'STAINLESS STEEL' refrigerator, can it rust? The best answer I found on Google was that it's likely due to insufficient chromium in the mixture of metals used to make 'stainless steel'. To me this continues to point to shoddy workmanship at the manufacturing plant. I have pictures of the problem, but for some reason I'm unable to copy them to this complaint. Probably because Whirlpool is afraid of pictures that confirm their shoddy craftsmanship!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

The reason for the call was to find out how to file a claim after replacing the ice maker and paying for it the 3rd time, they were very argumentative and would not listen to me about the design flaw in the wire harness that burns up the motor for the ice maker. I found out about the design flaw from talking to the repairman that replace the ice maker who works for Dick Kearsley Clearfield UT. He told me that Whirlpool knows about the problem for the 22 cubic foot and 25 cubic foot refrigerator and that is why they have 2 different new wire harnesses in the box for replacement of the old wiring harness.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I have a 2 year old Whirlpool refrigerator with french door refrigerator on top & freezer on the bottom. I am now spending almost $700 to have a new compressor put in because Whirlpool won't back their products.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I only had whirlpool Fridge. Model # WRT318FZDM for 6 wks (bought at Home Depot) and have lost $300 worth of holiday groceries already due to freezer not freezing (ie: ice, ice cream, etc. melting). And when I made the adjustment to the ONLY higher setting avail., I then had a warming in the refrigerator section (apples room temp, water condensation forming on all other items, making them unedible). Problem is there is only ONE CONTROL KNOB that operates BOTH the freezer and frige areas, so if you make one colder the other goes warmer! I had it at normal setting from when they installed it, and only few wks ago started to notice my food going bad so did everything the manual stated (making sure vents cleared, is area overloaded = "NO it's not overloaded", etc. etc.) so the ONLY option was to put the temp control up one notch (and ironically it is the ONLY other setting above normal avail!).

Since you can't reset either the freezer or fridge separately from each other, you have a ridiculous choice of either having all your frozen items now OVER FREEZE, because you now had to bump it up past normal, while then having all your fridge items get all wet and room temp (because setting isn't on normal anymore), or if you leave setting at normal where fridge items start to normalize, then your freezer items now melt! I've read the massive reviews on this co. about awful experiences of sending out repair people 'many' times to fix the same issue, which would last only a short time before they would have to come out again, and again, and how this continued until warranty expired, and customer still dealing with issue only now at THEIR expense!

THIS IS A BRAND NEW FRIDGE and should NOT be having problems within the first month of using it! I have now had to file a claim thru PayPal to try to get my money back so I can purchase another (more reputable?) brand of fridge, since Home Depot won't let you return appliances after 48 hrs (which is an insane policy! But no doubt they are aware of Whirlpool's bad reputation (after seeing the never ending bad reviews that get posted about them all over the internet!) and Home Depot doesn't want to lose $ on the many returns they would have to deal with, if they changed their policy beyond their ridiculous 48 hr period. AVOID WHIRLPOOL ANYTHING (including their Washer/dryers...which I have had nothing but problems with as well!).

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

We purchased a Whirlpool side by side from Lowe's and an extended warranty. Immediately maybe a month the ice maker froze. Ice container in the door. Repairman said design is notorious for this problem. This was an ongoing problem. They replaced icemaker and it continued. Finally the warranty people told me it could be deemed a lemon if repaired for the same issue 4 times in a year. They deemed it a LEMON and I received a store credit for the purchase price less the warranty amount. I purchased a new LG French door. No issues and it's been 5 years. If you have an extended warranty do some checking on the lemon.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I had ancient appliances (refrigerator, microwave, range, and dishwasher) that were all mismatched and were in the house when I purchased it in the mid 1990's. I saved up my money and even though my old appliances were working fine, I wanted stainless steel and everything to match so I decided to go ahead and replace my refrigerator, microwave, range, and dishwasher. I decided on Whirlpool since the company has been making appliances for many years and I thought they made a good product. I bought those appliances in 2012.

In 2015, the microwave started to malfunction. At first, it would light up and act as though it was working, but it wasn't. I had it repaired - they said it was a fuse - and the fuse repair cost me about $75.00. It worked for about 2-weeks. I called the repair guy back and they didn't charge me, thinking it was something they did wrong when they fixed it. This time it worked for about a week when it went out again. Not wanting to miss any more work waiting on a repair guy, I went to Lowe's and bought a pack of the appropriate microwave fuses and replaced the fuse myself. This time it worked about three weeks - I noticed it was popcorn that seemed to kill the microwave. I finally gave up repairing it when I used up all the fuses in the pack from Lowe's. I bought a GE Microwave and it has been a dream. It does a better job all around and looks a lot better than the Whirlpool. I no longer have matching appliances but at least they work!

But that's not all. Now the Whirlpool refrigerator has been slowly dying. It has been groaning and creaking since I had it installed but it has gotten so loud that I have to sleep with white noise so that it doesn't wake me up. Yesterday, I took out a Drumstick ice cream cone from the freezer - they are the cones that have chocolate covered ice cream with nuts. I bit into the chocolate coating and the ice cream all spilled out like milk! Looks like Whirlpool struck again and I am not even going to bother to repair it. I just hope I don't get food poisoning until I can get it replaced. And...the dishwasher. Well, it won't dispense the Jet Dry liquid if I fill up the reservoir. I have to fill it only half way or it won't work. I had to use an eyedropper to get the tank down to half. It doesn't really get the dishes clean either. My 20+ year old one I got rid of was 100% better than this Whirlpool dishwasher.

Luckily, I hardly ever use the range...and when I do, it's a burner or two so I haven't had any problem with it yet. I am thinking of replacing it anyway simply because I don't want - ever - anything that says Whirlpool in my home. I was so excited when I decided to buy new appliances. I was finally going to have something new and nice in my home...or so I thought. Instead I wasted my money and got aggravation instead of joy. I don't know about others but I will never buy Whirlpool appliances again- never ever. And now I feel like my money was stolen from me -- and my joy definitely was stolen.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I got a French door refrigerator in 2013. The ice dispenser started to freeze up. The technician took out the ice bin and discarded a big chunk of ice. It worked for a while and would freeze, so I had to take out bin and put it back to get ice cubes. Later ice cubes fell on the floor. Five years later ice cubes started coming out of a vent on the inside of the fridge. The freezer got iced over and was leaking. So I put towels near the freezer to keep the floor dry. I had a repairman check the freezer after it had thawed out after four days. The fridge was leaking into the freezer, causing rust. I was quoted over $800 for a repair. The replacement part is no longer available. So I had my French door refrigerator hauled away. Using bags of ice and cooler for food. Not happy with Whirpool French door refrigerator.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Purchased this fridge just over a year ago WRF555sdfz for over 2K. The stainless steel is starting to come OFF. Advertised as stainless Steel. Must be fake! Called customer service. I was told they could do NOTHING because it was a cosmetic issue. Remodeled our entire new kitchen. Thank god other stainless steel appliance are made by other manufacturers with no “COSMETIC” ISSUES. Will never buy another Whirlpool product and I will tell everyone I know.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Do not buy a Whirlpool refrigerator. Worst product ever. Literally broke within 3 months. Needs a new compressor and evaporator. They will not exchange the product and the parts are on back order for 3 more weeks.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

We purchased a Whirlpool side by side refrigerator from a local appliance store in December, 2018. We immediately noticed a loud humming noise coming from the refrigerator when the motor is running, which is a lot. We can hear it from our bedroom on the other side of the house. The store replaced the motor and the fan, but the constant irritating humming continues. The store called Whirlpool for advice, and were told that side by side refrigerators are louder. They also said that since it is working there is nothing they can do. We had a Kenmore side by side in the very same spot for over eight years. Never noticed when it was running. We will never buy another Whirlpool product again!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I bought refrigerator in Feb 2017. Within 18 months internal surface got crack, contacted customer care but I would say Whirlpool India customer care department is worst across world, no courtesy towards customers, contacted them over phone very bad attitude, no response on email. Product quality is worst, it's better to buy Indian brands. They are much better in quality & service. Totally dissatisfied with Whirlpool approach, at the end Whirlpool customer care is not at all bothered.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Purchased this French door fridge with the freezer on the bottom in September 2017. Started having problems shortly after with the freezer not auto defrosting/ice damming on the evaporator unit in the freezer unit, which caused the fridge to warm up and food to spoil. Service came out several times and ultimately replaced the Jazz board 3 times, 2 harnesses in freezer, 1 Heater and the evaporator fan motor, with the same problem happening after a few weeks. Requested a replacement after the 3rd visit, but Whirlpool refused to back up their product.

Sent service a few more times to no avail. Demanded a replacement once again. They sent a new service company out 15 months after our original purchase and they FINALLY deemed it non-repairable and are FINALLY going to replace it (turned out to be a broken wire inside the walls of the fridge, likely was like that upon delivery). So now we will have been put out for a total of 16 months for a fridge that cost >$1000. If I'm spending that on an appliance I expect it to work properly or else be fixed/replaced in a TIMELY fashion.

And the best part: they refuse to compensate us for any of the food that was lost due to a faulty product and very poor customer service! That was a lot of money lost because of their incompetence. If they had just replaced the broken appliance in the first place I would have been satisfied. But since they refused to do anything beneficial to remedy the situation, I will NEVER buy another Whirlpool appliance again. And add in the inconvenience of scheduling a time to be home for multiple visits to greet the repairman. Oh yeah, plus our time wasted defrosting our frost-free fridge with a blow dryer to buy us time until it got "repaired". Buyer beware!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

We bought the refrigerator end of November 2017 but didn't start using till February 2018. March/April stopped working completely. Since it was on warranty, we got repaired. End of December stopped working completely again. Few days after the warranty expired. We got few Whirlpool products with our order in November. Washer was already repaired too. We will never buy Whirlpool again!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I bought Whirlpool refrigerators around one and half year ago. After 1 year the light of refrigerator was broken. I was contacting customer service and arranged the fix. However, the contractor never showed up. After I making the call several times, I gave up finally. The repair is really bad experience!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Avoid Whirlpool refrigerators and dishwashers. Fridge sounds like someone’s trying to get out. Repair person said it’s icemaker and typical. Dishwasher has little friction gaskets that keeps the door from falling open. They’ve been replaced twice and found one on floor today. Plastic end of slider for upper shelf keeps falling off repairman replaced it showed me how to put it back on. This falls off regularly. Range has coils underliner of oven. Takes forever to preheat and self cleaner cycle is a joke. Million dollar condo with upgraded crap appliances.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Refrigerator was delivered and icemaker never worked. Whirlpool refused to do anything but repair the unit. A "new" unit was purchased not a "repaired" unit. Reconditioned units are sold a steep discount. Terrible customer service. As an architect I usually specify GE or others. First and last time recommending a Whirlpool appliance.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Do not buy anything Whirlpool makes. I purchased a new home and new appliances. In less than 4 years motor is gone in dishwasher. 6 weeks later I have another leak that has ruined my hardwood floors. My fridge is making all sorts of weird noises and alarm is going off. They are coming to ‘look’ tomorrow. And my washing machine is no longer draining. Whichever you buy from check how the extended warranty works... Trail Appliances Calgary uses a company that is horrific to work with, doesn't have a human to talk to and won't acknowledge you unless you pay $149 upfront. RUN AWAY!!!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I Wish I had reviewed this refrigerator sooner. I bought a Whirlpool side by side refrigerator with ice and water dispenser in the door in 2016. Problem #1: Water leaks from the water dispenser and dribbles down the front of the door. I am as vigilant as I can be about wiping up the spills, but over time it has left a water stain. Stainless steel is not stainless! Problem #2: The freezer is too narrow. Too many frozen items that come packaged in boxes have to be wedged into it or stood on end. Problem #3: Ice cubes sometimes randomly drop out of the dispenser and melt on my hardwood floor. Problem #4: Even though the water is filtered, mineral deposits have built upon the well that collects the drips and I have yet to find any product that cleans it. It looks horrible and filthy. If I'd had any idea how awful this appliance would look after just a couple of years, I would have been in contact with Whirlpool immediately.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

We bought a Whirlpool side by side at the end of August 2017. In March of 2018 - the day after I got the letter about extending my warranty - they had to replace the diffuser - it was making a horrid noise and freezing my eggs and milk. This part went again in July. I insisted they extend my warranty which they did - until March 2019. The part went again in November. I again demanded an extension - now it is guaranteed until June 2019. I asked about replacement and was told that as long as it was reparable they would not replace it. This part is dying every four months. The first few times I called, the hold recording touted a repair app - that did not give me much confidence in the company.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Just bought Whirlpool refrigerator, stove, and dishwasher. So far, the icemaker doesn't work and so I have no water or ice in the fridge. After four visits from Lowe's it is still not resolved. Going on since 11/16/18. After waiting three weeks, the dishwasher came, and lo and behold - it doesn't work. Now I have to wait for one to be ordered! TAKE A WORD OF ADVICE - WHIRLPOOL ISN'T WHAT IT USED TO BE. DON'T BUY IT!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Purchased Model WRB322DMBM on 6-30-18 from Lowe's. Within two months both doors had surface rust breaking through. Called Whirlpool and registered the problem. Since Nov 1, 2018 nothing has been done about the doors. The service rep cannot get through to make his report. Whirlpool not responsive. I would not recommend any major Whirlpool appliance.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

We bought a 20.5 cubic ft Whirlpool refrigerator. 2 months later it started cutting off, and on in a constant repeated cycle then run normal for a while. We had 2 Whirlpool repair appointments. The first guy said he couldn't come fix it unless it was acting up while he was here which was a intermittent issue. Refrigerators don't perform on cue. The 2nd guy came out after the first guy messed around long enough for the warranty to expire. We went ahead, and replaced the startup relay (most common problem). He replaced the control board, and wire harness. He said if that didn't fix it he didnt know what else to do. 2 hours after he left the fridge was right back to doing the same thing. He failed to report back to Whirlpool that the fridge couldn't be repaired.

We contacted customer service, and their resolution was to get another repairman to come out, and replace the control board which had already been replaced. In the end they bailed on us, and left us stuck with a broke refrigerator, and we had to buy a new one ourselves. I might add it was not a Whirlpool. They spent $471 trying to fix a broken fridge, and wanted to send another repairman (another $100) to fix a $629 refrigerator how does that make any sense. It was a very disappointing experience, and Whirlpool should be ashamed.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I bought a Whirlpool refrigerator in April. The motor ran constantly. The company replaced it for me but it was back ordered until July. The one delivered in July kept freezing the items in my refrigerator. I had two service people come out to replace parts in the next couple of months. The entire time having to throw out frozen food. Finally, they had another one delivered in November. This one continues to freeze food in the refrigerator. Mind you, I just got it and they want to start again with service. Seems others are having the same issues. My 4 month old gas oven is also not broiling. Customer service is awful. Every time I call the wait time is over an hour and then they don’t really help. I would not recommended Whirlpool to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Bought this refrigerator in June 2018. Had issues with freezer section and service technician came July 19. Issue was resolved but only temporarily. Had another technician come in Oct 3 and was told he had to order a new freezer drawer which should take 3 days. Now being told the drawer won’t arrive until Nov 15. You call that service? It would have taken less time to get a new refrigerator. I would never recommend buying Whirlpool products to anyone. What’s the point in buying a product that you can’t get proper service on.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I'm a member of Costco. I trusted that they will sell me a decent refrigerator, wrong! I bought a French Door refrigerator by Whirlpool on March 2018. It freezes my food on the left compartment and on the middle compartment. I called since it's under the one year warranty. They came 8 times already and changed parts and promised me every time they came that this will resolved the problem... still the same. I have been in the phone with Whirlpool for one hour and a half for 5 times and they still want to do more tests. I will never buy another Whirlpool unit again! Costco should be ashamed of selling this brand! And they should paid for this also.

Whirlpool Refrigerators Company Information