Shark Navigator Vacuum
1.42/5
  • 1 star
Based on 67 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Shark Navigator Vacuum

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 9, 2018

248 Shark Navigator Vacuum Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I purchased two Shark vacuum cleaners one in Feb. 2017, and one earlier. The handle snapped in two pieces. It is made of plastic. I called Shark and got a customer service representative. I explained my problem. The operator said to me read the warranty on parts are covered except the motor. You cannot find out what is covered until you open the box. Both models are the same. The part is available with shipping for about $27.00. I will never purchase another Shark product. Terrible customer service.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Don’t buy a Shark vacuum. The worst vacuum I ever owned. Front roller always clogging up. Have to stop vacuuming. Clean roller won’t even pick up cat litter. Sucks up then when you turn off vacuum all falls out. Took all apart. No clogged tubes. Very weak suction. Also very small collection container.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Shark Rotator Professional Vacuum - This is my second one - a $300 vacuum should last more than 2 years. It starts to overheat and then the motor gets really high pitched whiney sounds and conks out. No authorized dealers in case you don't know that. I clean it regularly!!! We are going to try to fix it ourselves if not - another new vacuum but this time NO MORE SHARKS!! Also having trouble with brand new steam mop that craps out after 10 minutes. Shark if you are listening, you need to make better products and better service options!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I have a Shark HV300 Rocket Ultralight that I've owned for 8 months and used as my everyday house vacuum. The small 6 inch hose in the brushroll attachment cracked unexpectedly when vacuuming recently. The design of the attachment is flawed as any hose that bends constantly simply from using the vacuum is going to crack. I called Shark as I believed I was under a 1 year warranty. They did not ask any information about a warranty and instead attempted to sell me a whole new attachment for $100 as the hose is not replaceable by itself. I was firm and stated that I would not be purchasing anything as the hose should not have cracked from normal use after 8 months.

Eventually the customer service agent stated he could give me half off (now $50) for the part which I continued to state would not work for me. Finally he said he would give me the attachment for free and I would just need to pay shipping. Shark should be ashamed of running their customer service line like a car salesman operation. They sell a faulty part and then try to make you pay for a replacement by playing a ridiculous salesman game. I love the Shark vacuum but they need to work out these flaws in their system. The hose should not crack after normal use in less than a year and they should not make the entire attachment need to be replaced as a result. Lastly, making customers pay for your faulty parts by playing salesman is not a good way to create a loyal backing.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

They claim this Shark Rocket Ultra Light w/ TruePet vacuum will last 5 years with no problems. Well mine lasted less than 2. I spent $299 plus tax for this vacuum thinking it would last for a long time. I was so wrong. I use this vacuum daily to clean my living room area and once a week clean the rollers and empty the canister daily. Imagine my surprise when I turned the vacuum on and it started smoking on the side and the belt came thru the plastic! No warning light. Nothing. Now I have a $300 piece of crap and have to go buy another vacuum. Don't waste your money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shark?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Love my little Rocket Shark vacuum till the inner hose that sucks up broke in half. I try getting it at vacuum stores to find out nobody sells Sharks parts. They're not allowed to. Then I tried calling Shark several times had no luck. Kept getting cut off. So, I gave up and went on the Internet and found one that said it would fit on my vacuum on eBay. I looked at the reviews. They were good reviews, hose came and did not fit to wide. Finally after several attempts I called Shark to find out that they don’t sell the parts. They only sell the whole bottom part. They don’t sell the hose. It’s a little 6 inch hose. They can only sell me the bottom part for $100. So after talking to her for a good while she said, "Well I can make the exception to sell it to you for $19.95 this time." Not sure if I would ever buy a vacuum from Shark anymore if you can’t buy small parts like that.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I have only had Multi flax cordless IF 201 vacuum for 20 days and the headlights went out on left side. I called Shark and they wanted 79.00 to replace the head. When I said no, the lady said, "Well I can offer it to you for 40.00." Their warranty sucks. So, if you buy a Shark, just know you are buying it, AS IS!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

One of my primary reasons for purchasing a Shark Vacuum is their claim that if ANYTHING goes wrong with the vacuum within 5 years they will service it at their expense, including shipping. In September of 2017 my 2 year old Shark Vacuum stopped picking up anything and emitted a terrible burning smell. I contacted Shark via email and after about 5 emails back and forth they asked me to call them. By that point, I didn't want to waste more time "discussing" the issue and ordered a vacuum from their competitor. But I really want to use the Shark and so having a day off I finally had the time to sit down to call Shark and discuss the problem.

As I suspected, the CSR wanted to "walk me through some simple steps" to see if I couldn't fix the machine myself. I informed the rep that I was 63 years old with arthritis in my hands and that I was not capable of repairing the machine myself and that's why I had purchased the Shark. He insisted I get the machine and try a few simple steps. By the time I returned to the phone with the vacuum he had hung up! I would suggest you only purchase a Shark if you are able to repair it yourself... or purchase it thru a local retailer that offers repair services.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

This is our 3rd Navigator we had for the year 2017! We absolutely loved it the 1st couple of 2 months then it stops the suction and won't suck up anything. We take the whole thing apart and it's not clogged with anything. I'm very disappointed that we yet again chose to buy the same vacuum 3x already.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

My wife bought this. Didn't use this for awhile being that we have hardwood floors, but we used the handheld nozzle part like twice, 2x, 2 times only, & then this conks out. Tried off/on, unplugging, & still nothing. Looks like everything made today is on a 50/50 basis. It may last, or it may not.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

In using my Shark Navigator Vacuum, within weeks after having it, the vacuum cuts off because motor constantly overheats. Therefore not able to finish the job at hand. Must wait as little as 1/2 hr for vacuum to cool down. With I would have bought a different vacuum.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I was impacted by the Harvey flood and my shark vacuum (~6 mo old) went under 4 ft of water. Called Shark and was told not covered by warranty, but that I could purchase a new Shark vac at 50% off. I told the Shark rep that I would check back later. Called back about a month later and was told that I had to send the inoperative vac back to shark. I was not informed of that in the original call and had thrown the vac away. If informed that the vac had to be returned to Shark, I would not have thrown it away.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Went online on Saturday, 2 Dec 2017 and ordered a Shark IONFlex 2X Duo Clean vacuum cleaner. Was so excited that I was finally getting a cordless/lightweight house cleaning tool. I received an email receipt and it showed the purchase on backorder. No date was given for future shipment. My order included my additional purchase for priority processing of 5-7 days. I checked my online bank statement this morning and saw that a deduction of $470.51 was already made. I contacted Sharks customer service center immediately. The receipt states that I would not be charged until the items are shipped.

Shark states that we would not be charged until the order is shipped. I have a copy of my email receipt. My bank statement literally shows a charge of $470.51 with my balance reflecting that deduction. So, their statement of it only being “pre-authorized” is incorrect. To offer priority processing 5-7 day delivery at an ADDITIONAL charge and then have a back order is unacceptable. To then be told by a customer service rep that it will take 4-6 weeks is incomprehensible. Why even offer this service? Why would they process my payment when shipment would not be for another 4-6 weeks.

I went to Amazon.com this morning and found exactly what I would have purchased directly from Shark. Everything was in stock - the vacuum cleaner and all attachments. I’m curious as to how they would have these in stock and Shark, the manufacturer, does not have these items in stock. Their response to my email addressed to their corporate office said absolutely nothing. There was nothing on how to resolve this issue. Nothing.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

SHARK ROCKET HV293QBL 26 - I've owned this unit for less than a year. The unit worked very well and I had little concerns about's functionality. We have cats and recently the motorized brush attachment failed to spin. Assuming it was clogged, and as a retired engineer, I tried to find a manual online which could help with the disassembly. I couldn't find the unit anywhere, even on the Shark site. Thus, I called Shark. They couldn't find my model either. The model is clearly displayed on my unit. The lady I spoke with suggested I purchase a new motorized brush end for a similar model Shark Rocket HV292. Cost about $50. Note whole new vacuum would be about $100. In the end, and with some difficultly, I took it apart with no instructions or assistance from Shark. It now is working. No thanks to Shark. Their website and support sucks, but they do make a fairly good unit.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I have 3 Shark Vacuums and am a strong believer in their products. I had an issue with our newest model the Rocket. Their customer service was phenomenal and a new replacement part is on its way at no cost. You get what you pay for and when it comes to Shark this is very apparent. They stand behind their product and have the very best customer service. I would never consider any other brand.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I have replaced 3 Shark vacuums in 4 years. It starts off very powerful, but loses its power within months. God forbid you accidentally get a shoelace or something you did not see under your couch caught in the roller. You can remove it but your roller will never work right again. Sure they will send you a replacement after you ship the old one back. Who enjoys that type of hassle? I will not buy another vacuum from Shark. I am investing in a vacuum that will last.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I went on the Shark website and ordered a Ionflex DuoClean cordless vacuum. 24 hours later my order was canceled with no explanation. I called customer support and spoke with Mona. She told me there is nothing I could do and to go to a retail store. I asked why my card was rejected - could not tell me. I asked to use a different card - would not take it. 24 hours earlier I ordered a $1,000.00+ generator online with this card and it has over $15K credit remaining. Going to a retail store (e.g. Walmart or Target) means I would pay approx $100.00 more.

I find this astounding - I am trying to give them my money and they refuse to accept it. Mona was useless. I then went on the company's website and filled out a customer support "claim" - so far I have heard nothing. I have been told by Shark Execs I happen to know that they want to do business via their website - they make more money with a direct sale. Could of fooled me... The irony is we own 3 Dyson between 2 homes and I wanted to give the Shark a try. These folks have proven their incompetence and Dyson will get another sale!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I bought my Shark NV801 in Aug. of this year, here we’re in November and it stopped suctioning. I troubleshooted and then I called customer service and they did all the same troubleshooting I did. They said I most likely got a defective hose. She said they can send me a new hose but I would have to pay for 19.99 for shipping. Why should I have to pay for shipping? Unreal, I had a Dyson since 2007/2008 and it barely gave out this year 2017. I decided to buy a Shark and I haven't even had it a year and it stopped working. I will never buy a Shark again.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I loved Shark so much and then... I'm on my 3rd Shark in 3 years. For this Navigator from Lowe's only 2 months ago and it's overheating. No receipt or box now so no idea if I can exchange. Seems to me that 3 in 3 years is extreme. I vacuum daily, but seems we should be able to. Shad is the deal Shark?!!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I tried several times to order a vacuum as a gift for my daughter. Three times the order was cancelled with no explanation given to me except that 'my credit card was rejected'. My credit card was NOT rejected as I carry no balances. I left it alone and went to the store and purchased the vacuum for her. Some months later I 'attempted' to replace the hose on my Shark Vacuum. I went online and tried to place the order, again being rejected.

I called customer service and was told: 'PLEASE DO NOT CALL US AGAIN, DO NOT TRY AND PLACE AN ORDER WITH US AGAIN AS WE WILL NOT DO BUSINESS WITH YOU'. I asked why??? I was told, "You and your account were flagged for fraud." Fraud??? I am not a criminal. I have never committed or been accused (until now) of committing a fraud. I have excellent credit so I have NOOO idea where this is coming from. I will be sending a letter and contacting a lawyer as I want to come to the bottom of this. I don't want my good name slandered by some incompetents.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Do not buy or get for free--this is the worse experience I ever got... No help. Never will buy again any products and I am IT professional, will go online and chat room to display my runaround and troubles and denial for warranty repairs. I was denied repairs under warranty. Did not allow to speak to supervisor. It's less than 1 year and broke and no repairs. Supposed to be 5 years warranty. And they sent wrong parts, and when you speak to them they cannot help. Said cannot find my model number, they find when they diagnosed using me for 2 hours on phone, and ask for supervisor they hang up... I will be contacting attorney general office in all states including Consumers Affairs for this frauds. Lady denied to speak to supervisors.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

This vacuum lasted 15 months. Within the first few months the plastic vent on the front broke off and I rigged it. Then the whole brush broke off all the plastic on the side cracked. I clean the brush with each use because hair would get caught. I bought it at Walmart and the model number is NV351.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

My Shark vacuum had a motor failure after 16 mos. While looking for warranty info online, I was disappointed to see so many negative reviews about warranties not backed up, back ordered parts or never arriving. I called Shark, explained what our vacuum was doing and was told to put the vacuum parts in a box, send it with a prepaid label they emailed me and once it was scanned by FedEx, an entire new vacuum would be shipped. That was on a Tuesday. My new vacuum arrived in my driveway 4 days later, on Saturday. I am very pleased with the customer service and support Shark provided.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I bought this vacuum cleaner, which am very disappointed. I had to wait 2 weeks to replace a part. Still am waiting. Wouldn't give me a refund. I had to go and buy another vacuum cleaner. Had I have a dog. Told me part wasn't in, that would take 24 hours to 48 hours. Rang them again still part wasn't available and told them wanting a refund. Wouldn't give money back, so I told them wanting a new Hoover as this wasn't my fault... guess what, wait for it... had to wait 3 working days, But yet. You buy a new vac. They send it out next day. Shame on you, SHARK. Not very good customer service... PLEASE REMEMBER WE DO HAVE RIGHTS.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Have had the Shark vacuum for less than a year. It stopped working today. We called customer service and the only way to fix it is to have it replaced due to some sort of manufacturing issue. So WE have to pay to have it shipped to us, but have to wait until after we find a box big enough to ship this beast back to Shark. It's horrible customer service to force people to jump through hoops to have a product they spent hundreds of dollars on replaced because the product failed to meet basic expectations. Never again will I buy any kind of Shark product. I asked to speak to a manager or have an exception since we can't afford to pay to have it shipped and the customer service rep said there is no chance of a supervisor approving that, but I can still wait two or four hours to have one call me back.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I ordered everything they offered me, as I am doing renovations on my home. Lots of dust and no large debris. I received the Shark duo vacuum one evening, was too tired to open, so I did so the next day. The power for the agitator did not work. I called SHARK. I was then told I would need to pay to have replacement shipped, as well as pay to return unused vacuum to SHARK! OUTRAGEOUS! I then called Wells Fargo credit card services, and was sent to a specialist, and informed that he has dealt with SHARK dozens of times, and they are horrible to deal with.

I then called SHARK again, told a different person what was going on, and to send me a shipping label to return the garbage I spent a fortune on. That was a week ago. I have yet to get a label. AVOID BUYING SHARK ANYTHING. I also have a 5 month old Mac Daddy coffee maker and frappe machine that will not turn on! GARBAGE SHOULD REPLACE THE SHARK NAME, AS SHARKS ARE BOTTOM FEEDERS!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I bought a Shark handheld vacuum a few months ago, and it just stop working. I call Shark customer service line, and they employ the worst customer service agents ever. They are very rude, they hang up in your face and refuse you the right to speak to a manager. The agent Lashawna ** employee I'd **, she told me... “We are out of those vacuums and you will need to visit a retailer and buy another one.” I said, “What are you talking about. I'm under warranty,” and she thought it was funny and laughed. This is the worst experience with a company ever! I want my money back or the unit replaced.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I tried placing two orders from Sharkclean.com, but Shark canceled both orders with no explanation. They won't allow me to purchase directly from them like I am some sort of criminal. They won't allow me to speak to anyone in management or any other department to try to get this rectified. I spoke to customer service two times trying to get to the bottom of the issue and all I get is they don't have information as to why, just that the orders are cancelled and I am able to purchase from a retailer but not them directly as they will just automatically cancel anything I try to order from them.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I contacted Shark and let them know that my steam mop was no longer heating. They told me as a 1 time "courtesy" they'd send me a new mop for $1 plus shipping once I returned the old one back. I was told that as soon as the tracking number was scanned, they'd send out a new one. I called last week to ask what my tracking number was for the new mop since they'd be getting it the next day, and they said I'd have it in 2-4 days. Fast forward to today, and I was told they are doing inventory and won't get my mop until 10/16. A MONTH after I sent the mop back.

They refused to give me back my money for the replacement mop, refused to give me a coupon to purchase another one, and refused to reimburse me for a "temporary" mop that I wouldn't need to even purchase had they done their job correctly the first time. I have now had to file a dispute with my bank in order to get my money back. The "supervisor" Tina, has a disgusting attitude and did nothing to help remedy the situation. Whoever promoted her is an idiot.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

After reading nothing but negative reviews on Consumer Affairs, I was rather surprised. I'm not surprised by the number of manufacturing flaws that lead to bad experiences being posted, but I am surprised to ONLY find negative reviews. My Shark experience has been the opposite, with all of the Shark products I've purchased, including Euro Pro and Ninja. In every case, I've had no issues with performance or warranty.

I purchased a Shark Navigator Lift-Away Model NV352 31, with plug serial number 2313 (yes, their plugs have a 4-digit code on them?!) direct from Shark when it first debuted on their TV infomercials. I ended up with the upgraded Lifetime Warranty and their floor cleaner, as part of a combo offer. My Shark has seen a lot of serious use; I have cats. Recently, the swivel ring at the hose-to-canister J-tube junction cracked; so I used a metal hose clamp, like you'd use on your car or the back of your washer or dryer hoses.

But the design is flawed, in my opinion, because it puts too much pressure on the coupling whenever you detach the hose to use to accessories; it gets pulled backwards and the strain is all at this one connection point at the top of the coupling where it's pinned to the canister. Mine cracked there, which led to suction loss, mainly when using the hose and accessories, but there was also some degree of loss when using it as an upright vacuum, even though the separation was not as great as when using the hose.

So I called tonight, after going to the website. In less than 15 minutes (including the time for the customer survey that I elected to take), I had a replacement headed for shipping, due to arrive in 3-5 business days. I won't lie... I was in shock, as that had to be the easiest warranty call I've ever made. The hardest part was trying to describe the location of the cracks, as I did not take the time to review the parts section of the users manual online, prior to calling.

The service rep immediately found me in their system and immediately knew what I was talking about and was able to determine that the entire motor section needed to be replaced in order to take care of the issue. My service rep spoke perfect English and knew the products, as well as the Shark Warranty program. There was nothing holding up my warranty claim except me going to get the vacuum and then trying to describe the location of the crack. I was not asked to supply pictures or proof. I was not asked to return the defective part. I was not charged a single penny. No one tried to sell me anything, perhaps because I own everything??? LoL.

I will admit that the Navigator was not a high-end vacuum like the ones today with sealed anti-allergen systems, but it's done everything advertised and stood up to the test of time in service to me... And it's still going strong. I'll probably experiment with some methods of repair on that plastic coupling site and hold onto that motor section since it still rocks a challenge like Marciano.

I'm sorry not everyone has had a great experience; I'm typically one of those people, but not in this case. If you're interested in any product out there, always understand exactly what it is and can do. Most people's reviews on products indicate an ignorance of the product's capabilities and specifications, which led them to purchase the wrong tool for the job, or to misuse the product, because they failed to read and comprehend what it was made to do and how to use the product to do what it's made to do.

Always check on TV infomercials offers that will upgrade the Warranty to a Lifetime Warranty, and make sure you carefully read the Warranty. There are limitations, including the life of the warranty, if for example they provide a complete replacement. In that case, the Warranty might end in two years, because they've legally warrantied the original item and are now giving you a replacement that has a two-year warranty. Most folks fail to read or understand a lot of that.

If you go into business for yourself, selling your own products, you'll suddenly understand and be offering the same kind of warranties. You can't give a lifetime warranty on the original AND every replacement, or you'll go broke, because people will find ways to break your products, and you'll often just have to Warranty them, because you have to assume normal wear and tear. Best of luck in your shopping and with your Shark products!!

Shark expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Shark is a family business in its third generation of ownership. The company makes a diverse range of household products and appliances.

• Lightweight design: Shark Navigator vacuums have lightweight designs that make cleaning easier.

• Customer reviews: Customer reviews on the Shark website help potential buyers decide which models are right for them.

• Available accessories: There are plenty of accessories that make Shark Navigator vacuums useful for cleaning vehicles, stairs, furniture and hard-to-reach surfaces.

• Customer service: Shark has strong customer services that include a lengthy online FAQ, live chat and Web support.

• VIP Warranties: Buyers can add five-year or lifetime warranties to their orders.

• Best for: Shark's range of vacuum cleaners makes it an attractive option for homeowners, renters and drivers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

www.sharkclean.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use