1.49/5

406 Shark Vacuums Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 22, 2019

I own a cleaning company. I use my Shark quite frequently, it picks up really well and I recently noticed a hole in the hose. I called the company and they are sending a shipping label. It cost 20$ and I’m getting a new vacuum, I am waiting on the Shark duo, and I think it will be even better than the model I currently use, very excited!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

It all started when my wife washed the entire vacuum. I came home from work not knowing it had water in it. I tried to start it up and sparks flew so I shut it off. Waited 2 days, started it up again, sparks flew and this time It smelled like I burnt the motor up, after taking it apart the fuse wasn't blown and when I ohmed out the motor checked out good so I hooked it all back together and it's been running good ever since. The kicker is Shark told me it was shot and needed replaced with a new vacuum. They are quick to make you buy a new one when there is a safety somewhere in it that makes it act as if it's shot. Don't trust the company. Take it apart and fix it yourself.

Get expert buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

The brush on my Shark Navigator NV353 stopped working and I am within the 5 year warranty period. I was surprised to learn the warranty only covers not moving parts so I had to pay for a new brush head unit (the entire lower part of the vacuum). It was 50% off and only cost me $35 so I wasn't that upset. I received the unit quickly and found out that wasn't the issue with the vacuum as the brush still did not engage.

I called Shark back and they are sending a new vacuum (4 week turnaround due to being out of stock) and refunding me for the part I bought while allowing me to keep it. I do have to find a box to ship my old unit back (at their expense). All in all I am satisfied with this solution and process though I thought the warranty should cover the actual moving parts not just the plastic covering and hoses.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I googled to see how to try to fix my vacuum as it wasn’t picking up and after watching the tutorial. I had found the root of the problem within two minutes and resolved issue. Love my Shark Vacuum, had it two years and would never consider buying anything else. Thank you Shark for developing such a fabulous vacuum. My two daughters both have one now, one is the cordless and the other same as mine and they love them???

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Having bought my Shark Lift Away 14 months ago, it has stopped working in hard floor or lift away mode, I contacted Shark customer's service and was told it sounded like the motor had gone and because they no longer produce that model, I was entitled to a new replacement. All I had to do was forward proof of purchase, and return the offending vacuum, I should then expect a brand new vacuum in 48 hours. Can’t fault customer service, just waiting for my new vacuum which is actually £100 more than I paid for my original vacuum.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shark?

Original review: June 10, 2019

It took 6 calls and over 2 hours to get someone to send me the part to my vacuum that had been recalled due to possible shock. The first person I spoke with said he did not understand what "product recall" meant and could I please spell it for him....he explained that he is from another country and didn't understand. I in turn said that not only should he NOT be working in any sort of customer service if he has no understanding of the English language, but the fact that he didn't get it was a "You Problem and should not be a me problem". He would not allow me to speak to a supervisor and as I continued to insist to do so he came back to the phone and said the supervisor was ready for him to transfer the call and speak to me. Well, after waiting for 67 minutes they hung up on me. I knew they put me on hold just to mess with me, but I was prepared to wait as long as it took....I have unlimited minutes and another phone. I would have waited all day.

My 2nd call wasn't much better. Then I called the number for my Ninja Foodi. It turned out to be a sales dept in the same state I live in....Amazing. She stated I needed to talk to customer service....again. Said I would be transferred to someone in the USA. Didn't happen. Eventually, call number 6 who was in Canada (no customer service center in the USA) she actually checked into the issue of the recalled part and is sending to me. Well, at least that's what I was told. Although I love my vacuum and my Foodi I will NEVER purchase another Shark item. Shark customer service is the absolute WORST I have ever dealt with and trust me I've dealt with a lot of nasty and not so intelligent customer service reps in the past several years. Extremely Disappointed with your company's customer service!

Original review: May 28, 2019

Good product, horrible service. They sent me the wrong replacement pads. Now I have to pay shipping to return it plus have a 10% restocking fee deducted because of an employee's mistake. You're better off ordering off-brand pads instead of dealing with this bs.

Original review: May 27, 2019

Failure of brush head within 2 years. Soft roller quit. Settings on low floor, head/shaft tilted. Rollers clean and clear. Lights on vacuum body and green light on roller head on. Brush head is not covered by warranty. Replacement head $89 USD, works fine.

Original review: May 16, 2019

This is absolutely the worst. You are better off crawling around on your hands and knees and picking up the dirt because as soon as it picks up anything, it shoots it back out. It was the biggest waste of money. I am extremely disappointed.

Original review: May 16, 2019

We have bought several Shark products. Our newest is a Shark Navigator SV1106. It is a great vacuum but the battery is ancient history. They need to use NIMH or Lith batteries. It is a nuisance to have to wait until the battery is totally discharged to recharge it. You should be able to bring a battery up to charge without the total discharge. I'd happily buy an aftermarket one that can be charged anytime.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I have purchased 5 Shark stick vacuums within the last year... for my kids and myself. I have been totally happy with the product, but my daughter who has had hers the shortest time and uses the least had the lower unit quit working last month (unit was literally just 1 year old last month). She contacted them to request a repair under warranty (5-year) and was told the entire lower unit was a "wearable part not covered by the warranty". I couldn't believe it so I contacted Shark myself and was told the same thing. Basically EVERYTHING on ANY shark except the motor in the top IS CONSIDERED A WEARABLE part and not covered by the warranty.

I WILL NEVER recommend this product again to ANYONE. IMHO, that is FALSE and misleading warranty information. Filters, rollers... yes those are replaceable wearable parts and should not be included in the warranty, but the lower unit which is 50% of the vacuum to not work and be considered a replaceable part is not what anyone would expect as normal. This part costs $80. If it can't last longer than a year, then in 5 years you have paid $400 for the vacuum that initially cost under $300.00. That makes it a throw-away.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I’m giving 2 stars because I like the self cleaning brush roll and the vacuum’s power but this vacuum is heavy, difficult to maneuver, and the most awkward I’ve ever owned. Do not buy this if you are not strong or have a bad back because it’s extremely heavy. The hose is not long enough when lifted off the base so you cannot roll it around with you, you have to carry it (even the lift away is heavy and awkward). If I didn’t like the self cleaning brush I would have returned it after the first use.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I bought my Shark NV501 in 2016 and it worked fine for about a year and a half. Suddenly, the brush roll stopped working. I followed the manufacturer's recommendations to fix the problem (clean the brush roll, check for clogs, be sure that the green brush roll light is on, good electrical connection, etc). Still the brush roll would not work. I attempted to return the part on the Shark website, as it has a 5 year warranty. I found out that I cannot return the defective brush roll because I don't have the original receipt for the purchase. The manufacture date is on the plug and it is clearly within the warranty period. I even tried a fix from the internet whereby I changed the relay switch on the brush roll. That did not work either. Now I have a vacuum that doesn't work and can't be returned even though it is within the warranty period.

Original review: April 30, 2019

My initial vac had lifetime warranty. Just found out it did not transfer to replacement. All was offered were filters. Vac needs replaced, suction is weak and all checks were done, but nothing replaced. I thought and was assured that lifetime meant just that but nope. Now I have a Shark that's more of a guppie or plankton. I have medical issues and 3 animals that shed and I need to get it cleaned up and the way I did that was with the vac.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I will never buy another Shark. We had ours for 4 years without issue, then noticed that it was not sucking up anything more than light dust. Upon inspection I noticed that a flexible hose in the main motor unit was torn, likely due to constant flexing. The head was easy to take apart so I called Shark to order the part. THEY WILL NOT SELL IT TO YOU. They want to sell me an entire new motorized head unit. Total BS. Why throw away something that could work with a simple part replacement? I am done with Shark, I hope this review convinces others to avoid their products.

Original review: April 21, 2019

The Shark Duo Clean vacuum falls over when you use the wand -- which is much of the time, since it is too big to fit under furniture. I crashes to the floor if you're more than 2 feet away. Their suggestion? Detach the canister and carry it around or put it on the wheeled caddy they provide. IF I HAD WANTED A CANISTER VAC I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT ONE. They should refund or replace since this is a design flaw. I have since found MANY complaints about this issue, so they should warn you upfront or FIX THE PROBLEM.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I've called their customer support numerous times. Numerous times they had me take the vacuum cleaner apart which I did. Numerous times they told me it was fixed. Every time I call back I tell them it's still not working. Either it's making a loud noise or it has no suction so I call today one more time to get them to make it right and they told me that I need to buy the bottom piece. That piece will cost me $71.99 and I asked them why they are not supporting their product when it's their product that has a malfunction because to get it to do any suction I had to cover the intake valve even though the bottom piece is not sucking any longer.

The only way I could get it to suck was if I covered the intake valve which causes the motor to overheat so I can't really vacuum that way so they showed no customer support today and I have brought numerous products of theirs. I will no longer be shopping for Shark however they did tell me today if you buy their product it has better warranty if you buy it on the Internet. If you buy it from the store it has a very limited warranty so note to self don't buy from Shark.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Great vacuum but terrible customer service. I ordered two vacuums valuing $700 total. Waited two weeks and the order has not shown up. Called customer service to be told that one vacuum was on backorder. How long is backorder? Was told they don't know. Could be anywhere from one to two months. Really!! Asked what my options are and told cancel order or wait. That is terrible customer service. Asked to send the unit not on backorder and told can't separate orders!! Again, terrible customer service. Company obviously has lots of business and could care less if they lose a $700 order!!!! Give your business to a company that can give you customer support!! I guess next time order on Amazon!!

Original review: April 9, 2019

Went online to order a pet vacuum from them. Input my credit card and it said they wouldn't accept it. Tried half a dozen times to no avail. I know my card is good and had plenty of money to pay for it. When I went to my card statement online to make sure they didn't do numerous charges I find that they charged my card 25 cents five different times for fees. Just because their site was screwed up and didn't accept my card they charged me a "fee". This is total unsatisfactory customer service. I sent them a message telling them to refund my 1.25 total fee charge and also to make sure the 1 dollar pending fees DO NOT come out of my card. This company has a total lack of proper customer support. If you're looking to buy a vacuum I highly recommend going somewhere else. This company stinks!

Original review: April 9, 2019

Bought from Amazon. On unpacking dismayed to find it was flimsily made with brittle plastics and many of the interconnecting sealing rings damaged or displaced. Although nominated at 750 watts motor power, because of the restrictions and convolutions this equates to only 80 watts at the business end! The motor, wand and dust box clip together with small flimsy brackets and hopeless small springs. Very little suction and on switching off, the fluff and dust was trapped in all the pipes and fell out of the bottom of the machine! I live in the UK. The customer service centre is in Canada. Summary, badly designed, poorly made, hopeless after sales service. It has gone back to Amazon.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I have a Shark Rotator Professional sweeper NV400. Called to get a belt and they want me buy a whole new bottom. They have belts for other Shark sweepers. Hoover is looking good. Belt will not go around and light will not work. Needed for suction. HOOVER here I come.

Original review: April 4, 2019

After using Shark Vacs for about 10 years, my the brush roller on my 3 year old Shark Rotator stopped working in December of 2017. I could vac bare floors but carpets were left dirty. On March 16th of 2018 my husband and I decided to buy the newest Shark Duo Clean. Paid $465 at Lowe’s Home Improvements. On March 20th of this year, my husband was using our one year old Shark Duo Clean to vac an oriental rug that we had vacuumed many times before using the new vacuum.

I was sitting across the room watching him vac the center of the rug. When suddenly, there was a very loud breaking/cracking sound & debris flew across the room just in front of me. My husband immediately turned the vac off and I picked up the pieces of debris. We looked at the rollers and to our astonishment, the belt that worked the brush roller had exploded out the side of the “garage” (as they call it) part of the attachment. It was wedged in the side of it where the plastic had exploded out. The debris came from the exploded side and from one of the roller wheels.

If I had been 2 feet closer to my husband the exploding debris would have struck me. My husband immediately turned the vac upside down to try & see what had actually happened. But there was nothing in the rollers that he that could have done to cause it to explode. It was just spontaneous. He then called customer service at which time they told him that he must have let it overheat!

How ridiculous... He had just turned the vac on and had not been vacuuming more than 2 minutes. He was told that the entire roller attachment had to be replaced at the cost of about $96 dollars plus shipping & tax. And then the young man told my husband it was all “his fault”. Then basically he hung up on my husband when he told him that we could not afford it and that we feel it should be free since the vac was just a year & 4 days old.

After my husband hung up I was very angry as I was listening to the conversation. So I called back and got a different representative. I explained what happened again and told him that I expected something more than what the other very rude young man offered since the vac was only a year & 4 days old. He offered to sell it to me for 50% off & no shipping. I agreed with that offer and the part was ordered & he said we would receive it in 3-5 business days.

Then he said “I am so sorry, but I just realized this is on back order.” I ask him how long would it be & he said no more than 2 weeks. In the ensuing 2 weeks I became very ill & did not follow up on this order as I normally would have done. I knew I would receive a copy of the order and some tracking info. But since I have been ill I simply forgot.

Well, 2 weeks was today. This morning my husband said there is a box on the porch & we were assuming it was the part... It of course was NOT the part. So then I called customer service again and I was told by a nice young man that I had been told incorrectly because although it was on back order, the earliest possible ship date was June 15th!

He also told me that he had no idea why I had not received an email with the date. He asked me to hold while he checked something. He then came back and said that the computer HAD NOT SENT ME AN EMAIL and he could not understand why it was not sent. He then confirmed my email address & promptly sent me an email. I asked for a new vacuum and he said I was not entitled to one. And that I would just have to wait until June & then he hung up. So here I am with no vacuum cleaner for 2 & a half months and I can’t afford a new one. Shark has definitely lost a long time customer. SHAME ON YOU SHARK!!!

Original review: April 3, 2019

I have now purchased two Shark nv650 models. I was so excited to get my first Shark. I had it no more than 5 months when the head of the vacuum broke at the swivel. We looked into getting a replacement head but the part is not available. So we bought a new one and kept the old one for parts. Now a little more than 6 months after purchasing the second vacuum it needs new parts. The hose has had multiple holes where it connects to the vacuum. I have replaced it and again the hose is broken at the base of the hose that connects to the vacuum. It is not worth the problems. It does have amazing suction but the durability is horrible. I have had cheap vacuums from Walmart last longer.

Original review: April 1, 2019

We bought a professional Shark vacuum and one of their steamers a few years ago. And we liked them even though we had to replace the hose and main pet hose attachment which they charged us for but we brushed it off because it worked way better than our Bissell. It does have some weight to it and was no fun carrying downstairs so we bought a lighter separate one for basement which was a waste of money. We used it maybe 20 times before it stopped working. The brush stopped rolling and they refuse to replace it without a 69 dollar fee plus shipping and will be only warranted for three months.

When I told them the basement rarely gets used and the wife only uses that vacuum a couple times a month and I don't want spend that much every 20 times of use can I get a better warranty. I was rudely told no, apparently that is not a main part of a vacuum which baffles me. When I did not understand that the customer service supervisor treated me disrespectful and after I asked him to explain why I got hung up on.

Original review: March 22, 2019

After 1 year of use, the roller brush quit working. My husband was able to access the area and found that a small belt had stretched and would no longer turn the brush. Called Shark and was told the bottom of the vacuum was made in China and they did not provide parts. I had to buy a complete bottom in order to use a VERY EXPENSIVE vacuum. Needless to say, I would not recommend this vacuum to anyone!!! This should be covered under warranty.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I bought a Shark rotator lift away 7 months ago. The post that plugs into the lift away is burnt out. The rollers only work sometimes. Called the warranty department and they wanted to charge me to ship me a new part. I spent 350.00 for a new vacuum cleaner. I shouldn't have to pay for anything else. I spoke with a supervisor and he advised everyone has to pay for shipping. I loved the vacuum cleaner but I will never buy another Shark again. Terrible warranty.

Original review: March 14, 2019

If I could give negative stars for this vacuum I would. Please dont buy. I owned a Shark Vacuum before this purchase and decided to stay with the brand because I liked my old vacuum so much. The Duo Clean cordless however is just the opposite. Literally every 5 minutes it shuts off because the filter needs cleaned or it is clogged. I have to clean the filters after every use just to ensure I can sweep my whole carpet. Also larger than dust and this sweeper will get clogged inside the stick which I find ironic because they show a picture of the vacuum sweeping up cereal in their ad on website. Forget about sweeping up cereal. I spent 350.00 on this vacuum one year ago and now I am going to have to buy a new vacuum again. When I do purchase a new vacuum it won't be a Shark.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I like my Shark vacuum; however I have experienced the canister tipping over many times while trying to extend the hose using an attachment. Today I was using one of the attachments and the canister fell over striking me on the back of my lower leg and scraped a size of flesh about the size of a half dollar. The flesh was hanging off while I tried to stop the bleeding. What a mess and this wound being on my lower leg will take a while to heal. Something is very wrong with this hose that should be easier to use and not so dangerous to the consumer.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I'll give this vacuum one this. It definitely sucks. It'll clean the floor and all that but here's the main beef I have with it, It can hardly stand up on Its own in upright mode and It falls over or almost falls over multiple times every time I use it. I have countless dents and chips in my walls and furniture just from letting it sit for a moment or while using the attachments. Having said that, I've used it as a canister vacuum. Same issue, the the hose and vacuum head fall over even more often but thankfully it causes less damage when it falls. I've even leaned it up against the wall just to hear it fall over in the middle of the night. I swear, a fly could knock this thing over.

It blows my mind that the engineers that built the thing didn't see this as a potential issue or at least design something to hold the vacuum up when It's not in use. Other than that, the beater brush rattles around and sounds like It could break at any time and I'm actually quite surprised it hasn't yet. I could overlook that though and It wouldn't be such a terrible appliance if it could just stop falling all the time.

Original review: March 1, 2019

Purchased 95 days ago. Roller with brush starts and stops at will. Doesn't pick up well. No recourse with 60 day warranty. Do not recommend. I'm stuck. PROBABLY WILL YARD SALE. Company consumer dept. was no help and he hung up on me as I was talking.

Shark expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Shark is a family business in its third generation of ownership. The company makes a diverse range of household products and appliances.

• Lightweight design: Shark Navigator vacuums have lightweight designs that make cleaning easier.

• Customer reviews: Customer reviews on the Shark website help potential buyers decide which models are right for them.

• Available accessories: There are plenty of accessories that make Shark Navigator vacuums useful for cleaning vehicles, stairs, furniture and hard-to-reach surfaces.

• Customer service: Shark has strong customer services that include a lengthy online FAQ, live chat and Web support.

• VIP Warranties: Buyers can add five-year or lifetime warranties to their orders.

• Best for: Shark's range of vacuum cleaners makes it an attractive option for homeowners, renters and drivers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs