2.53/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

350 Shark Vacuums Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Mid-September we purchased the IONFlex 2X directly from Shark's website and it was delivered a little over a week later. We tried the vacuum once and were highly dissatisfied with the product's quality and performance. The two fully charged batteries barely lasted 10 minutes each regular speed on a mix of carpet and vinyl floors. Not even enough time to clean our small 1000 sq ft home. It also overheated and kept shutting itself down. We didn't pay $400/$500 for something that can only be used as a handvac. The advertisements all claimed whole house cleaning without the cord. Per the 60 Day Money Back Guarantee, we returned it via USPS, paying postage ourselves. There was no damage to the vacuum, having only used it once. We boxed it in the original vacuum box with all its accessories (none of which were used), as well as included the emailed receipt and the list of reasons for the return.

The return was confirmed as received by Shark. We've been calling and emailing Customer Service about our refund. We were told by Customer Service it takes 7-10 business to process. It's been 30 business days since the return was received by Shark and we still have no refund. Credit Memos emailed to us much later than their posted dates show a credit value applied to an original order and total amount refunded as $0. There is no original order or remaining balance that a credit should be applied to. We already paid for the vacuum.

We've been told we'd be contacted by the Escalation department within 3-4 business days. It's been 16 business days and we still haven't heard from the Escalation department. All continued contact with Customer Service has been the same runaround - be patient, the refund has been issued, wait to hear from the Escalation department. We filed a complaint with the credit card but we aren't shown SharkNinja's response. Only that the credit card has 8 more business days to review. So we filed a complaint with the BBB today. 30 business days is long enough and we want our refund. We own a Shark Rocket Pet that works great but we'll never buy another product direct from the SharkNinja company ever again. They don't honor their own 60 Day Money Back Guarantee.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have a Shark rotator vacuum. I had it for a few years now and within the 1st year the motor stopped working and I called Shark and they sent me the new part that was working but now the button on the wand broke off. I have called the Shark customer service and paid for them to send the new wand because the lady told me they don't sell the button by itself. So I went ahead and purchase what I thought was the wand and a few days pass and I receive the hose and the handle a completely different part than the one I was calling for.

Keep in mind I had to pay like $7 for shipping so I called them and I told them they shipped me the wrong part. I never mention nothing about a hose. I need the wand so the girl told me, "Ok you need to ship that part we sent you back". (I have to pay to shipping to them). The lady told me she would sent me an email to the address to send it to. Fast forward 2 days later I called again. I never receive no emails and I made sure they had the correct on even spelling it out and now this lady tells me they do not sent emails with pre pay label. I have to send it back if I want my money back and then call them again to ask for my money. Bottom line is I will never purchase a Shark product again. They do not know what they're doing. One says one thing. Other says a different thing and here I am $80 less and no working machine.

Get expert buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Rubber gasket fell out from canister/container when lower lid was opened to empty collected debris. Didn't realize gasket has fallen out until today when less suction was noticed. Called Manufacturer, they don't sell or make or provide gaskets. Their only remedy was for me to buy another canister because they don't have gaskets to provide. THIS IS SO ABSURD!!! I regret owning this vacuum when got can't replace a gasket! To me, it's more about this company dipping their hands into your hard earned money. Incomprehensible!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

The gentleman I spoke with at Shark was kind, but the warranty for a the Shark product is very poor. I purchased a Shark Rotator in 1/2017 because they stated on QVC that it was a great product for pet hair, and it was for the first few months. About four months in it started not picking up the pet hair anymore but sweeping it into a pile and backing up into the beater bar. I finally had a chance to call Shark today, and they told me that they would have to replace the beater bar unit and they would only charge me $95.00. When I explained that this item should work longer than 11 months when you spend over $400, he offered to give me a 50% discount. REALLY!!! If I am going to pay that kind of money for an item it better last more than one year, or they better replace it for free. I will not be purchasing another Shark item and I will be letting people know about my experience with Shark.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

If anyone is shopping for a new vacuum cleaner, based on my recent experience with Shark, I would NOT recommend them. ONE OF THE WORST! I should have gone with my gut and stuck with Dyson. Shark sent the wrong cleaner (after spending over an hour on the phone trying to decide the best cleaner to fit my needs). Called 3 different times to let them know I received the wrong cleaner. Long story short, after 5 days of calling, still wasn't resolved. Sent it back, hoping I get a refund... Dyson came through in a pinch... Getting it Friday. :D

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shark?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Hate this vacuum cleaner. This vacuum is heavy, will not stand by itself. Very very annoying. I have tried since April 2018 to like this product, I am now trying to sell it for a cheap price, will never buy another Shark product.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Purchased the UV795 at Costco November 2016 and by November of 2017 the power head brush roller was practically useless. At that time under the 5 year warranty, they did replace the whole floor power unit for shipping only. Well, here it is November 2018, and of course the brush roller is practically useless again since it is worn out. I tried again to get another warranty replacement, but was told that their "policy" has changed and that the roller unit is a "wear & tear" item not covered by warranty, and that I would have to purchase a new one for $95. UNACCEPTABLE! If they would design this unit so that the brush roller could be replaced (a usually $20 item on most vacuums) it would make better sense than ripping customers off for a wear and tear item. NO MORE SHARKS!!!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

November 2018. Completely dissatisfied! Not only with Product, Product Warranty, also with customer service after sale! We purchased this Duo Clean vacuum after researching warranties. We decided to purchase because of the 5-year v.i.p warranty. The vacuum worked for 4 months. The power head stopped working. The 5-year v.i.p warranty is a scam! After owning this vacuum for 4 months, we are told the power head is a “wear & tear” item. Which means it is not covered by warranty.

Legal context of “wear & tear”. Legal context used for such areas as warranty contracts from manufacturers, which usually stipulate the damage from wear & tear will not be covered. ‘Wear & Tear”, form of depreciation which is assumed to occur even when an item is used competently and with care and proper maintenance. As a potential customer, understand that this $300+ unit will not last more than 4 months. In addition, manufacturer will not stand behind their product for as little as 4 months.

Up until this experience we have been happy with Shark / Ninja products. (Rosenzweig Co.) (Euro-Pro) Mother company. Not only have we decided as a family to no longer support this company and its products and false warranties. * We spoke to customer service about this product. The customer service rep hung up on us after we asked why this was considered a “wear & tear” item if the power head is part of the motor workings? Very misleading warranty. Shark/Ninja warranty scam! Even worse customer service.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

We bought this vacuum 2 years ago at Best Buy. Within the first 12-14 months, the lower power head failed. We weren't overly concerned because the warranty covered 5 years. Today, Nov. 12, 2018 I called the customer service department and was told that the power head unit is classed as a part subject to "normal wear", which is excluded by the warranty. Well, I wonder what parts on a vacuum are not subject to "normal wear"? Everything is making the 5 year warranty worthless. Not happy with this vacuum and will not buy another Shark.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Having bought my Shark Lift Away 14 months ago, it has stopped working in hard floor or lift away mode, I contacted Shark customer's service and was told it sounded like the motor had gone and because they no longer produce that model, I was entitled to a new replacement. All I had to do was forward proof of purchase, and return the offending vacuum, I should then expect a brand new vacuum in 48 hours. Can’t fault customer service, just waiting for my new vacuum which is actually £100 more than I paid for my original vacuum.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I purchased a Shark vacuum in May 2018 and it stopped working recently. I was shipped a part that was to fix the problem and it didn’t. I have since called and spoken with 2 representatives that tell the vacuum needs to be replaced, but unfortunately they informed me it’s out of stock and won’t be in stock for 4 to 6 weeks. I’m to be without a vacuum for this long. Their only other advice was to call Best Buy or wait until the vacuum is in stock. No other options for us. It’s very disappointing because the vacuum was great when it worked. I won’t buy any Shark products in the future.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

We bought 2 Shark vacuums (Canister and Stick) and the results were terrible. 'Exercise in Futility' best describes both of them. The filters plug in the first minutes of use and (once plugged) there's no cleaning them. The 'Hepa' filter is nothing more than a piece of dense foam with a felt pad beneath it and it's disgusting to service. Opening the vacuum to empty it means - you need a shower. The dirt goes everywhere as soon as the compartments are opened (there's no containment system). These vacuums won't even pick up a pine nut or dried garden pea let alone heavy dirt like sand. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

This vacuum did not work from the day I received it. I phone customer service and was assured I would receive a replacement. The replacement never came. Shark Ninja was charging my card $19.99 for a return sticker. I stated I should not have to pay for a return sticker. They continued to charge my credit card. I phoned my credit card company disputing the charge. I stopped paying for the Shark Ninja due to not having a new replacement like promised and still not having a $387.00 vacuum that did not work.

The battery heats up and the vacuum stops running after 5 minutes. This would continuously happen. I now am receiving threatening email communication demanding payment for a product that I cannot use. I phoned Shark Ninja again, customer service informed me that they will not assist in a return unless I start paying on the vacuum again and fulfill my monthly payment agreement. Again I stated I will not pay for a product that I cannot use. Customer service stated, "Well I can't help you!" I will never purchase another Shark product ever again. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I bought the Shark Lift Away because of the 5 year warranty that they offer for their products. However, they really do not offer a 5 year warranty! I have been completely dissatisfied with the vacuum ever since I purchased it. It has very low suction and 2 different parts on the unit broke, 1 being the floor nozzle & the other was the little button on the handle that releases the hose to use the attachments. When I called Customer Service to file a warranty claim, she informed me that it was not covered & I would need to pay $69.95 + shipping just for the floor nozzle and that it was on back order for 6-8 weeks! I don’t know how they are getting by with their bogus claim of a 5-year warranty! Wish I would have returned the unit the day I bought it! Complete JUNK!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I bought this vacuum from Bed, Bath and Beyond 3 months ago. Now the floor nozzle stopped working. It seems to get no power, but the light on the wand never turns off, even after putting it back into the nozzle. I called customer service and they made me go through all the troubleshooting steps, which by the way are completely asinine. When they decided it was the floor nozzle that needed to be replaced (I'm not even sure that's what wrong, as the customer service representative had the hardest time understanding what we were trying tell her, as if shes never even seen one of these vacuums).

Anyway, she finally said that unless it's the WHOLE unit that doesn't work, she has to charge us for parts. I told her no way, we bought the vacuum 3 months ago, and it has a 7 year warranty. She basically said sorry, too bad, and offered us the part at half retail price plus shipping charges. After 30 minutes of arguing with a supervisor we finally got the part for only shipping costs as a ONE time courtesy. So, clearly no 7 year warranty. Our Dyson lasted 12 years, and was still working when we gave it away. This company is a joke!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I bought a Shark Rocket Deluxe Pro 2 years after I had bought a Navigator Lift Away. I love the Lift Away. Still have and use. I've only had the Pro about 6 months. It's broke. Unusable. The roller brush is broke and makes a horrible noise! Warranty only covers the motor is what they are telling me. I bought because it lightweight. I wish I had kept my money. Biggest mistake I've made. These are made cheap. Don't last. Very disappointed with this Shark vacuums.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Bought a Shark NV95 upright vacuum cleaner, very poor suction from day one. Cleaned the lines and emptied the dust collector, no help. Checked the technical help section on their website and followed all the recommended steps, no help. Called them up, told them the vacuum was only 4 months old, has no suction, and the switch on it (for carpet to bare floors) only worked for carpets and did nothing in bare floor mode. Not even lights came on. A woman stayed on the phone with me for 45 minutes while I went through all the procedures on the web page that I'd already done, to prove it still didn't work. Eventually they said I could send it back (on my dime) and they'd replace it. They took my credit card number to pay for the shipping, and told me they'd send me a shipping ticket (return goods authorization) for it. Never happened. Called a 2nd time and got less satisfaction from a rude customer service rep. Piece of junk, don't buy one.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

My (wonderful) Electrolux is 23 years old and still in excellent condition. However, because my husband said it hurts his back to use it (canister), we decided to invest in an upright and decided on the Shark because I had read the (rave) reviews and my girlfriend said she has 3 Shark vacuums (she has a split level) and would never be without a Shark vacuum. So, in September 2016, we purchased the Shark Upright Lift-Away from the QVC Channel for $279, which included all the attachments including the roll-about caddy upon which you put the canister and which rolls around with you so that you don't have to hold the canister while you vacuum under beds, tables, etc.

This is one of the WORST vacuums I have ever used. Probably, because I was so used to a canister vacuum, I had a very hard time adjusting to the upright. Just vacuuming the kitchen and the bedroom, the sweat was pouring off of me even though I had the A/C on (we live in Florida). I had a terrible time maneuvering the power nozzle, however, now, after owning this vacuum for 2 years, I can maneuver it much better. When vacuuming the bathroom rugs with the power nozzle, it ate the rugs. (I later learned to use one of the brush attachments.)

Every time I "stretched out" to vacuum, the canister fell over (and it hurts when it hits the back of your leg). The hose DOES NOT STRETCH OUT and I have tried numerous times to try to stretch out the hose so that it will not curl back into a tight hose, but that doesn't work. Also, there is a ring going around the hose and I have tried to move the ring from the top of the hose (and handle) to the bottom of the hose to see if this would stretch out the hose, but the ring won't move. I had such a horrible time with this Shark, I called the company and asked them if they had classes on how to use it!! They gave me a Website to go on and view videos of how to use the various attachments, etc. Well, that was a waste of time because the man explaining what to do and how to use the vacuum had about as much enthusiasm and personality as a dead fish. There were about 5 videos and they were all useless.

If there is a speck of something, like a crumb, stuck to the floor, you have to use one of the rug settings so the beater brushes will (maybe) loosen it from the floor. Also, because the blower/suction is so powerful (a pro for this product), sometimes I find that instead of picking up the particle on the floor/rug, it blows it away - especially with dog hair. Taking the long handle out to use it with a brush attachment is relatively easy; however, when taking the short handle out, you have to have the strength of "The Rock" to pull it out. Sometimes, when I try to pull the short handle out, I pick up the whole vacuum cleaner.

Also, there are times I have to press the button to start the vacuum at least 3 or 4 times. I press the Start button, the vacuum turns on and then immediately turns off, so I have to do it again and again and again until it finally stays on... This also happens when turning the vacuum off. When vacuuming rug (area rug or scatter rug) to floor, there's no problem; however, when vacuuming floor to area or scatter rug, this vacuum gets stuck and does not easily slide onto the rug - you either have to lift the vacuum or shove (or pull) hard to get it onto the rug. The above are my "cons" for this vacuum. The "pros" for this vacuum are: The suction is excellent. The very long cord is a plus (just be careful because it can trip you if you're not careful). The light is also a plus, especially seeing dog fur on the floor and crumbs on the floor under the bottoms of cabinets.

After we purchased this Shark, I checked on the Electrolux vacuum cleaners. Yes, they were more expensive than this Shark vacuum cleaner, however, the reviews were (also) excellent and the newer Electrolux vacuums are very quiet. I still love my 23-year-old Electrolux and do use it occasionally. I'm glad that this Shark vacuum cleaner cannot talk because, even though I am more used to it, I still have issues with it (even after 2 years) and it is frustrating. I don't know if I'd ever own a Shark vacuum again. I sincerely believe that When this Shark stops working, I will definitely check out and probably purchase another Electrolux. We do have a Shark dustbuster, which is probably 10-12 years old and it is phenomenal. We certainly would purchase this item again. Possibly, my age (75) has something to do with my negativity towards this Shark vacuum, but I doubt it.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Parts not covered under warranty. The Shark model NV803 that I purchased 15 months ago has a five year warranty they say but after having a problem and calling customer service or five, they tell me that the powerhead which is the brush assembly that contacts the floor, the motor has gone bad and that is not covered under warranty. It is called a consumable parts by them or $90 plus shipping. They will sell me one but since I paid $350 for what I thought was going to be a five year warranty product very unhappy to be told that I need to be spending money on parts I feel should be covered under the warranty.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I like the Shark nv360 vacuum and its accessories, but dislike the dust cup design and low quality plastic latch hinges. The hinges crack and break off while I am cleaning the dust cup. After which the latches have to be taped to prevent the dirt/dust from leaking out while vacuuming. The way that the dust cup's 2 lids are hinged on same side makes it clumsy to wash. The canister/cup lids are hinged on with good quality and design hinges which should also be used for the dust cup latches that lock the dust cup to the vacuum system. I have had to replace the dust cup twice in three years since I purchased the vacuum new. That is three dust cups for one vacuum! I will give away my unit and buy another brand because of the dust cup lid design and breakage of dust cup latch hinges.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I really loved this light, easy to use, vacuum until after about two years I noticed the coil hose inside the power attachment was rotting away and splitting between the metal parts. According to the website only the motor is guaranteed and the replacement part would be 68 dollars not including shipping etc. I will never purchase another one of these vacuums for this reason.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Bought the Shark Duo that came with two batteries. After several months, one of the batteries will not hold a charge and lasts only a few minutes in the machine. Called for warranty replacement and they told me it would cost me $20.00 to ship another battery to me. Plus the other one had to be shipped back! No wonder it comes with two batteries, you get one good one and an obvious reject battery for the second one! Don't bother buying from this company, they don't stand behind their "warranty."

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Previously owned a Dyson, bought Shark to save a little money. DuoClean broke after 1 month. Replacement has been a nightmare, after 2 months I still don't have a vacuum. Save the trouble, BUY THE DYSON! And for the record, my Dyson broke after a year. Dyson overnighted me the replacement part at no cost with zero questions.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I bought a Shark vacuum. It works well, however, eventually you need new filters, attachments, etc. Well, after ordering the parts I needed numerous times, the wrong parts were sent to me. Good luck getting a hold of someone to talk to. Live chat is non existent. The wrong part was sent to me twice, although, I had the orders saved, screenshot. I paid to send the parts back and received less than half refund for each part that was sent (not what I had ordered). Never will I ever buy a Shark vacuum again. Customer service is completely horrendous.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I had a different kind of Shark Vacuum which I loved, too bad it did not even last 2 years. So, this time, I bought the model that was a little more expensive, thinking it would be better than the first. Wrong! This one feels like a whole different vacuum cleaner, the detachments are bulky, heavy, do not stretch, I cannot reach the ceiling without picking the whole thing up, and that bothers my arms. The upright vacuum, just rolling it on the carpet works good, but the cord is too short, I have to unplug it from room to room. I am disappointed.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I bought this product specifically because it looked like the lady in the photo on the box was cleaning her staircase with ease. Guess what? The part she is using doesn't come with this product!!! Misleading and false advertising! When I spoke with the phone representative, he said it was a common problem people experienced! Change it Shark! Sheesh!!! Hey investors, don't invest here, the company must be broke if they can't afford to make a different box for each product!!! $200 mistake!!!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

DON'T BUY THIS VACUUM. I bought the vacuum for 400 dollars and tried it. The batteries will not charge. The vacuum will not turn on and they will not refund me my money. I hope that someone can do something about these people ripping people off. I live on a very limited income and bought the vacuum because I thought it would be lighter and I could vacuum my couch by myself. But if a vacuum doesn't work what good is it. I just don't want to see others taken advantage of.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

There is a warranty but the parts they replace with may not match in color. My vacuum is red and gray and they can only get me a purple base. This is not right at all. Will file with the BBB for misleading in warranty.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I have had my Shark since May. At first it was okay, now it isn't anything more than a piece of junk, a very expensive piece of junk that is. I have spent two days pulling every filter and piece that detaches to clean and still I can't use it. I wouldn't suggest this vacuum to anyone. I have had several expensive vacuums in the past and never had an issue, they just wore out but this is nothing but a joke.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Belt broke on vacuum. Called customer service and they don't have replacements; can only replace/sell base! I might as well just buy a brand new vacuum. The product itself is pretty good but the customer service sucks! Won't be buying another Shark product! Buyer beware!!

Shark expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Shark is a family business in its third generation of ownership. The company makes a diverse range of household products and appliances.

• Lightweight design: Shark Navigator vacuums have lightweight designs that make cleaning easier.

• Customer reviews: Customer reviews on the Shark website help potential buyers decide which models are right for them.

• Available accessories: There are plenty of accessories that make Shark Navigator vacuums useful for cleaning vehicles, stairs, furniture and hard-to-reach surfaces.

• Customer service: Shark has strong customer services that include a lengthy online FAQ, live chat and Web support.

• VIP Warranties: Buyers can add five-year or lifetime warranties to their orders.

• Best for: Shark's range of vacuum cleaners makes it an attractive option for homeowners, renters and drivers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs