3.19/5
Based on 106 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

319 Shark Vacuums Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I have my Shark Navigator Lift-Away for 2 yrs. I had to call customer service today for a part that broke and I must say on a scale of 1 to 10 I will give them a 10 for being the best service I ever had. Thank you Shark. Oh and by the way, best vac I ever had in the 51 yrs I'm married.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I bought this new vacuum about a year ago and thought I really liked it. Eventually hair got tangled in the wheels on the bottom and on the roller bar. There are 10 screws that need to be removed in order to clean the roller bar. Maybe that wouldn't be so bad but some of them are very deep and are not Philips like the instructions say. They are 6-sided star screws. The amount of time it takes to clean the roller bar is ridiculous. I would not recommend this vacuum.

Get expert buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I purchased Shark Vacuum Navigator Lift Away Professional August 31, 2016. On August 21, 2017 dust cup cracked. Plastic broke off that latch to hold in place attaches to. Had to replace. Only paid shipping. May 29, 2018 plug broke. Had to replace. July 24, 2018 plastic release on handle for attachments broke. I had to replace. Also again dust cup same thing happened; piece broke off and cracked. Had to replace also. I find this vacuum is made with cheap plastic parts and breaks easily. I'm very dissatisfied with vacuum.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I purchased a Shark handheld vacuum cleaner a little over a year ago. Several weeks ago it started losing its suction power. As of this week, it stays on for a second or two and shuts off. I have contacted Shark customer service about this issue several times. Their recommendation is to purchase a new battery for $40, which I feel is ridiculous given that a new one cost $60. The representatives that I have talked to have been unhelpful and the last one was downright condescending and rude.

Original review: July 9, 2018

The two year warranty is over on my vacuum and I called to get a part for my vacuum expecting to pay for it. They only charged me shipping which was only $7. Here I knew my warranty was up and I need a part and was expecting it to be more and they only charged $7 as a courtesy. They had awesome customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shark?

Original review: July 4, 2018

Bought my Shark NV681 from Kohl's online in December 2016. Purchased based on reviews in CR and it really was - and still is - a pet hair eradicating machine... but I know I'm on borrowed time. First thing that breaks two weeks into use; part of the plastic on the dust bin cracks off simply bumping against a piece of furniture. This thing is built to "lift away" to be shoved under beds etc. - shouldn't it be a bit tougher? Being as I have two dogs and three cats, I clean the roller, dust bin and filters monthly; coil the cord etc. - I need vac power daily so I take care of my "tools".

Imagine my surprise a few months down the road when my Shark gets caught on a rug, sucks it up tearing out a chunk of fiber. Flip it over and discover that one of the tiny front wheels has broken and the rough edge snagged the rug leading to the fibers winding around the brush roller. Guess what - no replacement for that tiny wheel - lucked out with a trip to a hobby store - a black craft bead was just the right size.

Today while cleaning I hear click/grind noise and surprise - my vacuum which was in an upright position falls forward. No matter what I do the only way I can keep it standing is to lean it forward against a wall. Turn it over and find that the plastic housing of the vac head has cracked at the rear screw points and there's a tear in the hose leading from the vac head up to the dust bin. Mine has a 7 year warranty so I first check the CA site to get a feel for what I may be facing from Customer No Service. I bite the bullet and call for warranty service expecting the worse.

Oddly enough the customer service rep advised me that as a, "one time courtesy" they would send me a replacement vac head gratis but I'd have to pay for shipping ($16). Found it doubly interesting that the rep mentioned that the replacement part will fix the standing problem and the torn hose... except I never mentioned the hose! Bet they're getting a number of similar complaints. Here's another tip - before the customer service rep came on the line I was asked if I'd participate in a short survey at the end of my call. I said "Yes" - wonder if the rep knows when a customer agrees to the survey and bases his/her service on that fact? Will update my review when I receive the "replacement" part.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I purchased a Shark a little over a year ago. A little over a week ago I noticed that the vacuum was no longer picking things up. I started checking everything to find what might be the problem and found that the flexible hose inside the part that runs over the floor had split. A hose inside the vacuum should not be splitting under regular use. Anyway, I call the company about this and they tell me that replacing the hose is not possible but that they will sell me the whole floor piece for $95 plus shipping. This is utterly ridiculous, that hose should NOT be splitting. DO NOT purchase this model and buyer beware if anything goes wrong.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I have had my Shark Professional Lift-Away for almost 3 years now. I loved this vacuum & even purchased one as a gift. Problem is, every time we use it lately, it trips breakers around the house. I have tried plugging other vacuums in to the same outlets & they all work fine. I had an electrician out too & he confirmed it is the vacuum. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Original review: June 6, 2018

I called to purchase a tube adaptor. After talking to a CSR she said she had an accessory that met my need. I gave her my cc info and was happy with that experience. All was well until the purchase information arrived by email, it wasn't at all what I asked for. It was an accessory bag! I called at the next opportunity to cancel the order but was advised that the order had been picked and was on its way, that I should call back when the item arrived. I did that. Shark refunded the accessory price but refused to refund the shipping cost. I am not a happy customer.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I bought the Shark Rocket last April from the Shark website, in March I could smell burning then smoke. Called Shark. They sent a new motor which looked reconditioned. (Scratches, dents, etc.) The other day the second one from just a few months ago buggered. The motor was going fast then slow and I could smell burning. I took the filter off to look, turned it on and actual flames burst out. I completely ** myself. So I'm getting another new one tomorrow and when I asked if it was reconditioned like the other she was shocked and said they do not give reconditioned hoovers. They're new and when I got the one in March I should have called right away but I didn't know. I don't understand why this has happened twice in a year when they are confident enough to give a 5 year warranty. Please note by motor I mean the actual main unit. They don't replace it all unless they need to.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I have had the best experience with Shark customer service. They have helped me replace the parts I need without proof of purchased. I bought my vacuum a year ago and just now starting to have problems with it but the company is sending me a whole new one for shipping cost. I will be a Shark customer for life. The company is great.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I purchased a Shark duo clean cordless vacuum costing £350. It couldn’t cope with a long pile carpet and stopped working every few inches. The vacuum through the brush bar was blocked but it wasn’t, it just wasn’t big enough to cope with the long pile. To cut a very long story short, even though they say they will refund your money if it does not give satisfaction, they are extremely reluctant. You phone up and after waiting to speak to someone for ages you get cut off. When I did get through, as soon as I said I had a product which as not suitable I got cut off at that point several times. Eventually when they speak to you they try every ridiculous excuse to not give you a refund and when that fails they try to get you to buy a different product instead.

To return something they have to email you a label and you then take the parcel to a DPD office and when they get it back it takes 10-14 days to refund your money. I needed a label posting out as my printer has broken. It is now 6 days later and no label. I phoned and they said they will post it again but it takes 3-5 days for it to get to you and with no post on Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday it is going to be another 6 days before it arrives. With the up to 14 days they can take to refund this could be 4 weeks to get my money back.

In comparison I ordered a G-Tech Air Ram K9 and Multi K9 at the same price, the following day after Shark said they would post out the returns label. Sadly this had the same problem as the Shark, but when I phoned them they were very apologetic and helpful. They arranged the courier (same one Shark use) to collect it from my house the next day (it was not costing me anything). They said that once it is scanned by the courier they will authorize my refund which will take 3-4 days (big difference from Shark).

The courier didn’t collect it and when I phoned it seems the return had failed after the lady had exited her screen and she hadn’t noticed. They were very sorry and immediately rearranged it for the day after and because of the inconvenience the (very pleasant lady) authorised the refund of my money immediately, even though it hadn’t been collected yet. It took 3 days following delivery of the G - Tech to get a refund. If they can do it why can’t Shark?

After my label didn’t come I phoned Shark and tried to get them to send the next one out using Special Delivery (next day delivery) from Post Office but they wouldn’t. They were unpleasant, bordering on just plain rude. Initially refused to allow me to speak to a supervisor. Eventually I did but he was just as bad as the customer service person. I asked to speak to someone with more authority but was told there is nobody on those premises. The only way to do it is to get them to email a manager, and in his words “if they decide they want to call you back, it will be about 3 -5days”. I asked for a direct phone number and he said “I don’t have that information”. Obviously either he was refusing to give it to me or they are not allowed to. He was quite arrogant in his manner. All in all dealing with Shark customer services is unpleasant and stressful.

There vacuum itself has good and bad points. I only tried it for about ten mins on normal power and the battery that should last 22 mins ran out. I bought the one with two batteries fortunately. The dirt collection bin is ridiculously small. I could cope with it if everything else was brilliant but there is a maximum fill line and above that there is no side on the container seperating it from the cyclone thing and the hairs etc go over the top and wrap around it. When you empty it you have to get your fingers in to get anything that went over the top and when you tilt it from the upright e.g. to go under the sofa or to use as handheld the dirt can go over the top as well. Also there is a filter at the front near the top and it isn’t like other machines, it is simply a piece of cream colour sponge which after only ten mins of use was filthy, full of loose dust and hairs which fell out when you took the front off to check it.

It pulls itself forward so you don’t have to push which could be good but it’s impossible to clean small or lightweight rugs as it screws them up in the roller. It is very light and easy to maneuver. Its flexi handle is excellent for going under the sofa without bending down to the floor. It has 3 ways to charge and you don’t need to fix it to a wall. In summary, it wouldn’t matter if it was the best machine in the world. I’m still not sure I would buy it because of the bad customer service. I can’t add receipt as all I have is the delivery note. I tried to take photos which seem good but not looking at them on this page. Hopefully you can get the full picture on your screen.

Original review: May 10, 2018

The Shark is lightweight. Suction is great and it's very easy to clean up and dump the bucket. The cost is very reasonable too. It's also easy to use by my entire family.

Original review: May 10, 2018

The Shark Navigator Vacuum has unsurpassed suction power. I would rate it a "5" except that it is slightly awkward to glide around and under furniture and its head is too narrow. Otherwise, this is a superior machine.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I purchased the Shark Rocket # HV302 26 at a retail store on 1/3/2015 and have loved it from day one. However recently I noticed it was not picking up as well as before. Upon examination of the powerhead I found that it had a large crack in the short hose that directs the section from the powerhead to the pipe up to the motor. So now no suction was reaching the floor. I tried to take it apart and could not get the hose out. I then went online to Shark and found no help. So I googled Shark Rockets Complaints and found a number of sites, including one where there were many people with the same complaint. Many of them had the same results that I did when I called. The powerhead is not included in the 5 year warranty, it is a normal wear & tear item??? But they would sell me a replacement for 90.00+ dollars.

I said, "Ridiculous, the whole package only cost $162.73 including sales tax." So he says, "Let me see what I can do," short pause then he offers me, like many other reviews, a 50% discount or $45.00+ and shipping, about $19.00. I told him I would have to think about it because I think it is worthless warranty. He said he was sorry but that all he could do. I said, "I understand, you have to stay with your script of answers." I then told him to hang up so I could say more in the allowed review of my call experience. And surprise surprise I got disconnected like many others. Bottom line, like many other things today, when they work they are great... But when they don't, time to buy a new one. But being handy, I think I can make a patch and keep it going. Wish me luck.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I like it but not near the suction power I thought it would have. The bristles get clogged and have to clean them quite a bit. Overall it's good but at the same time disappointing.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Shark Vacuums works great actually sucks does what a vacuum should do! Would recommend this vacuum to all. Good vacuum cleaner, actually a great vacuum cleaner! Try this vacuum out. Won't be dissatisfied.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Shark Vacuum is flexible & easy to maneuver, lighter than some, simple to clean out. I've used many vacuums & stumbled onto this one second-hand. Now it's my favorite.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Had three corded Dysons that were junk! The Shark upright and the canister have both performed a lot better. Easy to maneuver and suction a lot better than the three Dysons I had purchased. I have a two story home so had to have a couple each time I bought! Very disappointed in The Dysons I have purchased!

Original review: May 5, 2018

Shark Rotator - This was one of the poorest purchases I ever made. Stuff gets stuck in it and I have to unscrew it to take it apart and get out the clog. Suction gets clogged up at times and when I have to clean it more stuff winds up on the floor than in the garbage and I have to vacuum it up again. To clean it thoroughly you have to open the top and bottom and clean it out with your hands. Yuck!

Original review: May 5, 2018

I get shocked every time I use my Shark vacuum because I think it is so cool. It is portable and not heavy and comes apart to use everyplace it works super on my hard floors as well as my carpet and even picks up kind of big stuff.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I really like the Dyson and the Shark Rocket. The Shark Rocket was recommended by friends and I gave it a try for our basement. It is great. I wish the dirt collector was larger but once you have your flooring well cleaned it would be fine.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Plastic casing clips on the Shark broke and needs tape to secure reducing suction. Manufacturer said I have to pay to ship and can pay to buy a new one. Customer service is crap and vacuum was expensive for cheap ** plastic. Garbage is what this is and I won't purchase another. To pay for shipping and receive a refurbished piece of crap I can buy a new vacuum. Not recommended. Save money. Buy Kirby.

Original review: May 3, 2018

This vacuum is our second Shark. It’s wonderful as it’s gotten our rugs much cleaner. It’s a smaller machine so it has to be emptied frequently but otherwise it’s terrific.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Shark Vacuum has had good suction since day one. It's got rinsable filters. The belt is really touchy so be careful not to run over anything other than dirt! It also has a easy to empty dust cup.

Original review: May 1, 2018

I was hoping the self-propel would be helpful, but you still have to pull it backwards and that takes strength I do not have. Otherwise Shark Vacuums has all the bells and whistles.

Original review: April 30, 2018

The suction hose from floor unit to motor head developed cracks & has reduced suction. This unit is less than two years old. Called Shark Rocket for warranty service. Manual indicates five years, however they said that is only for the motor & that a replacement part would cost just under a $100. When I objected they offered to let me have it for half plus shipping. I still didn't think this was good enough since it is suppose to be a five year warranty. They just hung up, no good bye, nothing. Just a dead line. I would not recommend this product based on their service.

Original review: April 30, 2018

Have owned Dyson but this Shark is better in every way!! Have also had other Shark vacuums but this Liftaway is the best. Owned it for about a year before I tried swapping the brush heads from carpet to hard floors and it is truly an amazing feature. Vacuuming under couch is easy since the Shark handle moves to a horizontal position, instead of having to use attachments.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Shark Rocket is by far my favorite vacuum ever. It swivels under the furniture and around corners easily. Picks up an unbelievable amount of dust. And cat hair!

Original review: April 29, 2018

I really LOVE my Shark vacuum for the cost and ease of use. However, there is a design flaw where it loses suction when the curvature at the hose joints get clogged. Also, I've had to dismantle it twice to clear clogs under the brush. It wasn't difficult, but a YouTube instructional video was required.

Shark expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Shark is a family business in its third generation of ownership. The company makes a diverse range of household products and appliances.

• Lightweight design: Shark Navigator vacuums have lightweight designs that make cleaning easier.

• Customer reviews: Customer reviews on the Shark website help potential buyers decide which models are right for them.

• Available accessories: There are plenty of accessories that make Shark Navigator vacuums useful for cleaning vehicles, stairs, furniture and hard-to-reach surfaces.

• Customer service: Shark has strong customer services that include a lengthy online FAQ, live chat and Web support.

• VIP Warranties: Buyers can add five-year or lifetime warranties to their orders.

• Best for: Shark's range of vacuum cleaners makes it an attractive option for homeowners, renters and drivers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

Newton
MA
www.sharkclean.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business