Shark Navigator Vacuum

Compare Vacuums

Research top Vacuums recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I thought I had mad a good choice in buying a shark. However the roller bar is inaccessible unless you unscrew the entire bottom to remove all the hair. I am disappointed that I did not check this out closer at time of purchase and I can assure you I will never buy another one. Poor design with no way to completely clean the roller bar unless you take the entire bottom apart. Disappointed is an understatement.

Well I bought this vacuum and after 2 months it blew out. And supposedly it has a lifetime warranty so I had to send them my old unit. And the staff didn't send my new unit. Shark is full of crap. I will never buy a vacuum from them again. I'd rather use a broom than to use a Shark Vacuum???

I have owned my Shark NV42 for two years. I would say the first year it worked very good. Now I have cleaned it and cleaned the filter. It loses suction within vacuuming 1/4 of a room. I have to empty the vacuum body all the time. I check the hose to see if I have suction and I don't. I do not recommend buying a Shark vacuum. I will be buying something else soon. I have a two bedroom apartment and it doesn't even keep that cleaned.

About three years ago I purchased a Shark vacuum cleaner from a discount department store. When I opened the box I noticed some attachments were missing. I called the CS number on the instruction sheet and was surprised to get a live person right off the bat, unheard of these days. They were very courteous and professional and sent me exactly what I needed. They asked me to make sure there wasn't anything else missing. The parts arrived within the week, no charge! No receipt needed or proof of purchase, they just asked me some info over the phone. Could not be happier. Incidentally the vacuum works perfectly and I have since purchased one for my parents as well. Great company with great products.

I received a Shark Navigator lift away as a gift a few months ago. After only using it for about a month I started to get shocked. I contacted customer service and all they could tell me was to wipe it down with a dryer sheet and dont wear wool while vacuuming. I have never in my life had to wear a certain type of clothing to vacuum. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Apparently they arent too worried about fixing anyones problem.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shark?

Extremely high-pressure sales people that will not take no. It was definitely the worst experience I have ever had in ordering a product. She continued to talk very fast and go on and on about all these free trials and extra products when I kept telling her no I was interested in nothing but the sweeper itself. She continued to go on and on about free stuff and memberships that were automatically going to happen and I had to call back to cancel them. I told her if she did not stop after about 30 to 40 minutes I was going to hang up and not order the sweeper... Will never order a Shark off of the phone again!!!

We purchased our Shark vacuum to help keep up with our two labs and their shedding. Less than 6 months after purchasing the vacuum we noticed a significant leap as of suction. We cleaned the beater bar, the canister and filters but the problem continued. Upon further examination my husband discovered cracks and holes in the tube connected to the head. We contacted Shark and we're told that although the vacuum was under warranty, the replacement part was back ordered until January 30 (6-week wait). When we still hadn't received the part by mid-February we called back and were told by an automated recording that the part was now back ordered until April. When I complained to a customer support representative I was told that the shipment with the replacement part had arrived that very day (a Sunday...?) and we would receive it in 3-5 days.

A week later, no part. I called and got another automated recording stating the part was back ordered until April. When I confronted a customer support representative I was told the part was scheduled to come in on Thursday. When I asked to speak with a supervisor I was first told that there was no supervisor on duty and then, after threatening to call corporate, the BBB, and the attorney general I was told the supervisor was on break and would call me back in 1-2 business days. After refusing to accept that as an option I was placed on hold for 10 minutes and then told that a replacement unit would be sent out to me and I should receive it in 3-5 days. I have zero faith in the credibility or integrity of this company and I would warn consumers against purchasing their products.

I purchased a Shark NVS360 vacuum and shortly after it stopped operating. When we called the company we were told that they would replace the malfunctioning part. It has been months and we keep getting the classic runaround. They keep you on the phone on hold for a very long time with hopes that you will just go away. Every agent keeps repeating the script. That the part is in back order. Buyer beware. There are a lot of bad reviews on this company -just check around. Please don't purchase any of their items since they do not stand behind their product. Avoid being taken advantage of by this company as we were.

Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional - My wife had bought a Shark vacuum cleaner from Walmart several months ago. Maybe about 7-9 months ago. It's a very well vacuum until the shocking has become more persistent. She had mentioned to me several months ago that the vacuum had shocked her and I thought nothing of it that maybe it was a freak one time thing. About month ago I was home with her while she was using the vacuum and came into the living room and said it's doing the shocking again and to look at it to prove she wasn't crazy. As I turned it on nothing happened, no shock. As I went to engage the floor brush I started to feel the shocking. I also could see the arcing coming from the hinge of the canister on top arcing to the pipe (which is stainless steel). The arcing look liked something you would see a spark plug do on an engine.

I do heating and air for a living so appliances are like second nature to me because they utilize some of the aspects of operation. I've completely took the vacuum apart looking for frayed wires and such. Found nothing to point the culprit. One thing I noticed is that there is no ground wiring throughout the vacuum and that the only ground there might be goes to the handle where your hand rests. In my opinion it's beyond me why they would put some kind of ground at your hand of all places. Literally no grounds for motors or anything inside this vacuum. Look under a car hood and you will see grounds going everywhere. But none on a Shark.

Customer service hasn't been any service to this customer and I guess their recall didn't fix the underlying issue. We are currently going through their process of rectifying the problem by sending random parts which has been over a month since we've talked and no parts yet and is no guarantee that's the fix. I'm a American Standard dealer and I stand behind their product because they believe in their product. Shark doesn't seem to have that attitude. To have that prompt, go out of their way to make things right when things don't go right is something I believe in and hold myself to. Shark has an excellent product but seems to be putting the money into their pockets instead of the H.R. department and development. Every time we vacuum now it's like playing Russian roulette with electricity.

I ordered a replacement roller for my parents (in their 90's) Shark vacuum back in November. I was assured shipping within 2 weeks. I have contacted Shark once a month since then, same response, part is being shipped from China, and I will be notified when it ships. Great, except it never ships, and the vacuum is useless without it. Strange that you can still buy the vacuum at almost any retailer, and any tv channel. Buy another brand, something that has good service even if it costs more, learn from the mistakes of those that have already messed up and purchased Shark.

My Shark Rocket stopped working after one month. I contacted customer service. The young man said my replacement parts would take three weeks to arrive. I thought that was a long time, being the beginning of January 2017. However, better than buying a new one. When I did not receive the replacement by February 1, I called them back. They said the item was back ordered until mid-April. I don't believe a company that intended to stand behind a vacuum cleaner can expect you to wait four months for the item. Nor do I believe they ever intended to satisfy me. Better to continue selling disposable products to Home Depot, Target, Walmart...

When ordering by web few items not discussed or mention. Set up payments... when took first one out charged my account 3.99... not going for it. Called customer service and what a waste of time. Also didn't know this is evidently made in Canada... am planning on returning, turning in payment as a scam, and letting my enormous Facebook friends. What a bunch of crap.

I purchased the Shark Vacuum 2 months ago. In 3 weeks I couldn't get the power to start. No power. Called customer service. After doing the troubleshooting they said to send back. They would send a replacement. I sent the vacuum back 3 weeks ago. Still no replacement, now they tell me it's backordered. But they still sell them on QVC. I can't reach anyone to get assistance. Very poor quality to have loss of power in 3 weeks. Very poor customer service. Buy another brand.

I bought a new Shark Navigator Vacuum in 2015 with a lifetime warranty. Their warranty is a joke. The plastic hose in the vacuum has several holes in the base. When I called and told Shark about this I was told a replace part would be shipped within 9 days. I now have a notice that this part is backordered and will take 3 months to be shipped to me. The interesting part is that Shark has at least 4 channels on DirecTV to sell their Shark Vacuum but it takes a 3 months waiting period before they can replace and deliver a defective part? I don't care how good any product is if the manufacturer can not stand behind what they sell. NO MORE SHARK VACUUMS for me. My advice look somewhere else for a Vacuum that the warranty is honored by the company that makes it.

I bought the Shark vacuum from Target for quite a hefty price thinking that it would last for years. It lasted well for a couple months and degraded rapidly. It wasn't even six months later and it clogged almost each time I vacuumed! The worst part was the suction loss it simply wasn't doing its job anymore. I like to use carpet powder and the Shark could not even suction it at all! I literally would put the Shark on top of the powder and wait a whole minute and it would barely get any off my carpet! We called Shark customer care, and like many other unfortunate Shark customers received terrible Shark customer service. The representative said to us to check for clogs, we did and there was none, his next answer was pretty much we were explicit out-of-luck. Luckily for us, my boyfriend's parents gave us their 20 YEAR OLD Miele vacuum. That old Miele got the job done.

This company is the absolute worst. I bought the vacuum and it was defective. They ordered me a replacement part that still hasn't been delivered... I have been waiting for 2 months already. I called customer no service and he said he couldn't help me that I could order a new one, but not return, no credit, no help whatsoever!!! Very frustrating. Do not purchase from this company!

I bought my Shark Rotator Lift-Away just over two years ago. I gave my previous vacuum, a Shark Navigator, to my aunt because it was light and easy for her to use (she's 81). My current Shark has more suction than any other vacuum I've used including my sister's Dyson. It has been very reliable and durable with one small exception, and Shark's customer service made that a non-issue. The carpet sweeper was causing the circuit breaker in my basement to trip. It didn't happen when I used it upstairs. Shark sent me a new one under warranty without hesitation. I couldn't ask for more.

I had been very happy with my Shark Vacuum, and even recommended it to others. I bought directly from the company because they provided a Lifetime Warranty. Well, after about 1 year, the vacuum lost suction and the roller stopped rotating. I called the company and they said they'd send replacement parts. A few weeks later I still hadn't received the parts. An email said they were on back order but no date. Today (1 month after my first call) I called the company and the automated system said I can expect to receive the parts in MARCH!! 4 months from now.

I spoke to a representative who said they should come at end of January - so now, who knows??? I have lost trust. I requested they just send me new vacuum instead but she said that was not possible. However, a reviewer from just 2 weeks ago, sounds like they had a new vacuum sent. So now I don't believe anything they are telling me. I like the vacuum a lot but not when its not working and when the company doesn't stand up to its products. Disappointed, and a dirty house!

I purchased this vacuum on April 15 2015. It no longer works and in order to get any warranty you must purchase a box, take time off work to ship this and then be without it for who knows how long. What a rip off. Was a long time Shark user and now 2 out of our three Shark products do not work properly. Well will not make the mistake of buying any other Shark products.

I bought a vacuum from Shark that is supposed to be a "Lift-Away." It says that on the vacuum itself. However, it does not do what they show on commercials. I have written to Shark a couple times and they are not interested in helping me. You see, the vacuum has started clogging. I have to lay the machine down, turn the two plastic locks on the beater/roller bottom to allow the vacuum tube to straighten, and then pull all the clog (dog hair, dirt, whatever) out as best I can. It then runs ok until the next time. I am so tired of unclogging a vacuum that is not suppose to lose suction, but it does every time it clogs which is most every time I use it.

My wife was going to buy another Shark vacuum after a 1 1/2 years when the vacuum motor quit. I call Shark customer service and they sent a replacement unit fast no hassle. NO charge. My wife really likes her Shark and was prepared to buy a new one but that didn't happen because of the great customer service. Thanks Shark.

In November of 2016 I purchased a new vacuum. I chose the Shark Lift Away due to the lightness of the vacuum and the seemingly easy options for use. The price was also not bad and comparable to others. I'd seen Sharks products advertised on TV and felt it was a safe buy. I was wrong. When I got home my children used the vacuum to clean their rooms. They told me that the vacuum had shocked them. They didn't want to use it anymore. I brushed it off thinking that maybe it had just been once and they just didn't really want to vacuum their rooms. Tonight I used the vacuum for the first time and felt for myself that this was NO joke!

About every 3 seconds or more I was delivered a significant shock into my hand. If my legs happened to make contact with the vacuum as well then they would receive a shock as well. It was not a small shock too. It was actually quite painful. I couldn't even finish vacuuming my bedroom. I immediately looked up Sharks customer service number and I also did a search on the product and saw article after article about recalls for the Shark Lift Away vacuums. CNN even had story after story and news reports about the recalls stating that the product was delivering shocks to people. With that information I contacted Shark.

I told the customer service agent about my problems and she acted surprised. I didn't mention at that point that I was aware of an on going problem. She then told me that she was not able to find any information about any problems for the vacuum, however their recommendation was for me to not wear polyester while vacuuming, and before I vacuum, I should wet the unit down with a damp cloth and make sure that my hands are damp while vacuuming. I should also wipe the unit down with a dryer sheet.

At that response to my problem I replied that I was 42 years old and I have NEVER had to do anything while vacuuming to prevent myself from being delivered a painful shock before and I certainly did not intend to start now. I also pointed out that customers should not have to prevent themselves from being shocked and hurt by a product they paid for. I then told her I was aware of a recall, and also multiple news stories by CNN. She told me she was not aware of any recalls or stories by CNN. I told her all she had to do was research it on the computer and she would find the articles easily. She put me on hold eventually to see "what else they could do".

When she came back to the phone she asked if I had tried to return the unit to the store. I said I had not because I didn't have the receipt anymore. Was afraid they wouldn't take it back. She told me that her manager told her that the recalls were on older models of the Shark Lift Away but there was no recall on the newer ones. I told her that there needed to be because obviously the problem was not fixed. She told me to try to take it back to the store and if they wouldn't take it back then I should call them back at Shark and they would take the vacuum back but I would have to pay for shipping the defective one to them and pay a shipping charge of $20.00 to have a replacement shipped to me. They would be sending me the exact same unit as well.

I informed her that first of all, I should not have to pay to send back THEIR defective vacuum, and I shouldn't have to pay to send a new one out. Also, why would they replace it with the same kind of vacuum when obviously the Shark Lift Aways have had continual problems and even if it was an older model that was recalled, was I REALLY expected to believe that out of ALL the newer models, only mine was accidentally defective? I informed her that good companies stand beside their products. I would call the store I bought it from and see if they would help me, however since I had called THEM directly at Shark and it was THEIR product then THEY should be handling the problem... not putting it off on the store.

I didn't call the store first, I contacted Shark and it was very poor service to have them deny the problem and to put me out by not handling it. I informed them that I would be writing Consumer Affairs as well. She did nothing to try to appease the situation at all and I was not ugly to her in any way. After I hung up I called Walmart where I purchased the vacuum. To my extreme pleasure, they took the problem VERY seriously and agreed to help me. I WILL be shopping at Walmart again and again. I will be buying a new vacuum from Walmart. I WILL NOT be buying a Shark vacuum or any other Shark product again however!

I bought the Lift-Away professional 3 years ago for about $200. I never spent so much on a vacuum cleaner, but given the good reviews, I thought it was worth it. True, the vacuum has a lot of functions. I like that it cleans well and comes with many attachments. However, the design is flawed. It is top-heavy when you use the roller as a base. When you use the attachments while using the roller base at the same time, the vacuum would fall over. I hold onto it as much as I can while using the attachments, but it still falls sometimes.

Due to this poor design, the entire piece of plastic that holds up the canister cracked apart. When I called Shark, it said since it is not a manufacturer failure, it is not covered. They would be happy to give me a discount on a new vacuum cleaner. Really? The vacuum before this cost me only $80 and lasted 10 years. This Shark lasted only 3 years (and I used it infrequently, since my cleaning lady uses her own.) I declined the coupon, as I will never ever purchase a Shark or any product made by Shark (including Ninja) again. It is made with cheap plastic and with its poor design, it is not worth the cost. Stay away from this cheaply made product.

I do NOT recommend this vacuum for anyone with long hair or pets as you cannot remove the roller bar for cleaning. I have 4 girls and 2 dogs. Trying to clean that bar while still in the machine is crazy. If you must make it where it cannot be removed at least make it accessible without the divider bars across the bottom. VERY poor design for anyone with a need to clean regularly.

I have only had this vacuum for 18 months. Already I have to buy a new vacuum. The handle has broken twice now, the hose broke a few weeks ago and the canister clip broke the first month I had it. I would NOT recommend this vacuum to anyone. It is made poorly.

I bought this vacuum for my wife about a year and a half ago, before that she's always had an OREC. Not even two years later this SHARK product doesn't work half as good as our 10 yr. old OREC. I paid over 300.00$ for it, on payments, and it not even picking up cat hair anymore. As far as I'm concerned we were ripped off. I don't get no response from anyone. I will never buy another one of these. Again total disappointed. Over charged and under quality.

I have owned this sweeper for approx 3 months. From the first day I had issues with the top handle that has the hose attached to it - would not stay attached to the sweeper. When the concern become so constant that the only way I could use the sweeper was by tying it together I called and registered a complaint. They diagnosed the problem over the phone and I have found their shipping practices with FedEx have been terrible. No parts yet even though tracking number at one point showed it should arrive 3 days ago. Now number shows no current information. I contacted Shark today and requested a new sweeper. Needless to say I was blown off and told parts should arrive in 3 more days.

I bought this Shark 4 month ago. I do look at reviews to make a decision. At first it was fine. Here the problem. It's only clean so much. It's doesn't get the job done so I purchased a Kirby and the sell guy and I did a test. The Kirby pick up dirt I did even know that was. They disgusting. I am extremely disappointed with this Shark vacuum for the reason people go out and spend their money think they are getting a good product. Nope. Here pictures from the new vacuum. Thanks a lot Shark family.

I bought this vacuum about 6 months ago and the internal hose that is in the power head cracked and the suction is weak because of it. It is under warranty and they said they would send a new power head to me. I waited 10 days and called them and was told it would be 6 weeks and then I get an email it would be around February 17. That is 8 more weeks??? I have 2 dogs and no vacuum for 8 weeks??? Beware when you think of buying a Shark vacuum.

Last fall we purchased our first Shark Navigator. We had had two Dyson's animals (we have Labs, who shed a lot) and we were not happy with them. They are very clumsy to use, no light on it and above floor is almost impossible to do. Had seen the Shark Navigator and said "Let's try it". Well we had vacuumed the house with the Dyson then went over it with the Shark... wow. Could not believe all the dirt and dust we got in the Shark. It is so easy for me to do the stairs with the Shark because the canister comes off. Yes I would recommend this vacuum to anyone. As a matter of fact we told our daughter, who also had a Dyson, about the Navigator and she did buy one. Glad we switched. Satisfied customer.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Shark is a family business in its third generation of ownership. The company makes a diverse range of household products and appliances.

• Lightweight design: Shark Navigator vacuums have lightweight designs that make cleaning easier.
  • Customer reviews: Customer reviews on the Shark website help potential buyers decide which models are right for them.
  • Available accessories: There are plenty of accessories that make Shark Navigator vacuums useful for cleaning vehicles, stairs, furniture and hard-to-reach surfaces.
  • Customer service: Shark has strong customer services that include a lengthy online FAQ, live chat and Web support.
  • VIP Warranties: Buyers can add five-year or lifetime warranties to their orders.
  • Best for Shark's range of vacuum cleaners makes it an attractive option for homeowners, renters and drivers.

Compare Vacuum Cleaners