Shark Navigator Vacuum
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Shark Navigator Vacuum

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 17, 2017

233 Shark Navigator Vacuum Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I have replaced 3 Shark vacuums in 4 years. It starts off very powerful, but loses its power within months. God forbid you accidentally get a shoelace or something you did not see under your couch caught in the roller. You can remove it but your roller will never work right again. Sure they will send you a replacement after you ship the old one back. Who enjoys that type of hassle? I will not buy another vacuum from Shark. I am investing in a vacuum that will last.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I went on the Shark website and ordered a Ionflex DuoClean cordless vacuum. 24 hours later my order was canceled with no explanation. I called customer support and spoke with Mona. She told me there is nothing I could do and to go to a retail store. I asked why my card was rejected - could not tell me. I asked to use a different card - would not take it. 24 hours earlier I ordered a $1,000.00+ generator online with this card and it has over $15K credit remaining. Going to a retail store (e.g. Walmart or Target) means I would pay approx $100.00 more.

I find this astounding - I am trying to give them my money and they refuse to accept it. Mona was useless. I then went on the company's website and filled out a customer support "claim" - so far I have heard nothing. I have been told by Shark Execs I happen to know that they want to do business via their website - they make more money with a direct sale. Could of fooled me... The irony is we own 3 Dyson between 2 homes and I wanted to give the Shark a try. These folks have proven their incompetence and Dyson will get another sale!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I bought my Shark NV801 in Aug. of this year, here we’re in November and it stopped suctioning. I troubleshooted and then I called customer service and they did all the same troubleshooting I did. They said I most likely got a defective hose. She said they can send me a new hose but I would have to pay for 19.99 for shipping. Why should I have to pay for shipping? Unreal, I had a Dyson since 2007/2008 and it barely gave out this year 2017. I decided to buy a Shark and I haven't even had it a year and it stopped working. I will never buy a Shark again.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I loved Shark so much and then... I'm on my 3rd Shark in 3 years. For this Navigator from Lowe's only 2 months ago and it's overheating. No receipt or box now so no idea if I can exchange. Seems to me that 3 in 3 years is extreme. I vacuum daily, but seems we should be able to. Shad is the deal Shark?!!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I tried several times to order a vacuum as a gift for my daughter. Three times the order was cancelled with no explanation given to me except that 'my credit card was rejected'. My credit card was NOT rejected as I carry no balances. I left it alone and went to the store and purchased the vacuum for her. Some months later I 'attempted' to replace the hose on my Shark Vacuum. I went online and tried to place the order, again being rejected.

I called customer service and was told: 'PLEASE DO NOT CALL US AGAIN, DO NOT TRY AND PLACE AN ORDER WITH US AGAIN AS WE WILL NOT DO BUSINESS WITH YOU'. I asked why??? I was told, "You and your account were flagged for fraud." Fraud??? I am not a criminal. I have never committed or been accused (until now) of committing a fraud. I have excellent credit so I have NOOO idea where this is coming from. I will be sending a letter and contacting a lawyer as I want to come to the bottom of this. I don't want my good name slandered by some incompetents.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shark?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Do not buy or get for free--this is the worse experience I ever got... No help. Never will buy again any products and I am IT professional, will go online and chat room to display my runaround and troubles and denial for warranty repairs. I was denied repairs under warranty. Did not allow to speak to supervisor. It's less than 1 year and broke and no repairs. Supposed to be 5 years warranty. And they sent wrong parts, and when you speak to them they cannot help. Said cannot find my model number, they find when they diagnosed using me for 2 hours on phone, and ask for supervisor they hang up... I will be contacting attorney general office in all states including Consumers Affairs for this frauds. Lady denied to speak to supervisors.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

This vacuum lasted 15 months. Within the first few months the plastic vent on the front broke off and I rigged it. Then the whole brush broke off all the plastic on the side cracked. I clean the brush with each use because hair would get caught. I bought it at Walmart and the model number is NV351.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

My Shark vacuum had a motor failure after 16 mos. While looking for warranty info online, I was disappointed to see so many negative reviews about warranties not backed up, back ordered parts or never arriving. I called Shark, explained what our vacuum was doing and was told to put the vacuum parts in a box, send it with a prepaid label they emailed me and once it was scanned by FedEx, an entire new vacuum would be shipped. That was on a Tuesday. My new vacuum arrived in my driveway 4 days later, on Saturday. I am very pleased with the customer service and support Shark provided.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I bought this vacuum cleaner, which am very disappointed. I had to wait 2 weeks to replace a part. Still am waiting. Wouldn't give me a refund. I had to go and buy another vacuum cleaner. Had I have a dog. Told me part wasn't in, that would take 24 hours to 48 hours. Rang them again still part wasn't available and told them wanting a refund. Wouldn't give money back, so I told them wanting a new Hoover as this wasn't my fault... guess what, wait for it... had to wait 3 working days, But yet. You buy a new vac. They send it out next day. Shame on you, SHARK. Not very good customer service... PLEASE REMEMBER WE DO HAVE RIGHTS.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Have had the Shark vacuum for less than a year. It stopped working today. We called customer service and the only way to fix it is to have it replaced due to some sort of manufacturing issue. So WE have to pay to have it shipped to us, but have to wait until after we find a box big enough to ship this beast back to Shark. It's horrible customer service to force people to jump through hoops to have a product they spent hundreds of dollars on replaced because the product failed to meet basic expectations. Never again will I buy any kind of Shark product. I asked to speak to a manager or have an exception since we can't afford to pay to have it shipped and the customer service rep said there is no chance of a supervisor approving that, but I can still wait two or four hours to have one call me back.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I ordered everything they offered me, as I am doing renovations on my home. Lots of dust and no large debris. I received the Shark duo vacuum one evening, was too tired to open, so I did so the next day. The power for the agitator did not work. I called SHARK. I was then told I would need to pay to have replacement shipped, as well as pay to return unused vacuum to SHARK! OUTRAGEOUS! I then called Wells Fargo credit card services, and was sent to a specialist, and informed that he has dealt with SHARK dozens of times, and they are horrible to deal with.

I then called SHARK again, told a different person what was going on, and to send me a shipping label to return the garbage I spent a fortune on. That was a week ago. I have yet to get a label. AVOID BUYING SHARK ANYTHING. I also have a 5 month old Mac Daddy coffee maker and frappe machine that will not turn on! GARBAGE SHOULD REPLACE THE SHARK NAME, AS SHARKS ARE BOTTOM FEEDERS!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I bought a Shark handheld vacuum a few months ago, and it just stop working. I call Shark customer service line, and they employ the worst customer service agents ever. They are very rude, they hang up in your face and refuse you the right to speak to a manager. The agent Lashawna ** employee I'd **, she told me... “We are out of those vacuums and you will need to visit a retailer and buy another one.” I said, “What are you talking about. I'm under warranty,” and she thought it was funny and laughed. This is the worst experience with a company ever! I want my money back or the unit replaced.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I tried placing two orders from Sharkclean.com, but Shark canceled both orders with no explanation. They won't allow me to purchase directly from them like I am some sort of criminal. They won't allow me to speak to anyone in management or any other department to try to get this rectified. I spoke to customer service two times trying to get to the bottom of the issue and all I get is they don't have information as to why, just that the orders are cancelled and I am able to purchase from a retailer but not them directly as they will just automatically cancel anything I try to order from them.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I contacted Shark and let them know that my steam mop was no longer heating. They told me as a 1 time "courtesy" they'd send me a new mop for $1 plus shipping once I returned the old one back. I was told that as soon as the tracking number was scanned, they'd send out a new one. I called last week to ask what my tracking number was for the new mop since they'd be getting it the next day, and they said I'd have it in 2-4 days. Fast forward to today, and I was told they are doing inventory and won't get my mop until 10/16. A MONTH after I sent the mop back.

They refused to give me back my money for the replacement mop, refused to give me a coupon to purchase another one, and refused to reimburse me for a "temporary" mop that I wouldn't need to even purchase had they done their job correctly the first time. I have now had to file a dispute with my bank in order to get my money back. The "supervisor" Tina, has a disgusting attitude and did nothing to help remedy the situation. Whoever promoted her is an idiot.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

After reading nothing but negative reviews on Consumer Affairs, I was rather surprised. I'm not surprised by the number of manufacturing flaws that lead to bad experiences being posted, but I am surprised to ONLY find negative reviews. My Shark experience has been the opposite, with all of the Shark products I've purchased, including Euro Pro and Ninja. In every case, I've had no issues with performance or warranty.

I purchased a Shark Navigator Lift-Away Model NV352 31, with plug serial number 2313 (yes, their plugs have a 4-digit code on them?!) direct from Shark when it first debuted on their TV infomercials. I ended up with the upgraded Lifetime Warranty and their floor cleaner, as part of a combo offer. My Shark has seen a lot of serious use; I have cats. Recently, the swivel ring at the hose-to-canister J-tube junction cracked; so I used a metal hose clamp, like you'd use on your car or the back of your washer or dryer hoses.

But the design is flawed, in my opinion, because it puts too much pressure on the coupling whenever you detach the hose to use to accessories; it gets pulled backwards and the strain is all at this one connection point at the top of the coupling where it's pinned to the canister. Mine cracked there, which led to suction loss, mainly when using the hose and accessories, but there was also some degree of loss when using it as an upright vacuum, even though the separation was not as great as when using the hose.

So I called tonight, after going to the website. In less than 15 minutes (including the time for the customer survey that I elected to take), I had a replacement headed for shipping, due to arrive in 3-5 business days. I won't lie... I was in shock, as that had to be the easiest warranty call I've ever made. The hardest part was trying to describe the location of the cracks, as I did not take the time to review the parts section of the users manual online, prior to calling.

The service rep immediately found me in their system and immediately knew what I was talking about and was able to determine that the entire motor section needed to be replaced in order to take care of the issue. My service rep spoke perfect English and knew the products, as well as the Shark Warranty program. There was nothing holding up my warranty claim except me going to get the vacuum and then trying to describe the location of the crack. I was not asked to supply pictures or proof. I was not asked to return the defective part. I was not charged a single penny. No one tried to sell me anything, perhaps because I own everything??? LoL.

I will admit that the Navigator was not a high-end vacuum like the ones today with sealed anti-allergen systems, but it's done everything advertised and stood up to the test of time in service to me... And it's still going strong. I'll probably experiment with some methods of repair on that plastic coupling site and hold onto that motor section since it still rocks a challenge like Marciano.

I'm sorry not everyone has had a great experience; I'm typically one of those people, but not in this case. If you're interested in any product out there, always understand exactly what it is and can do. Most people's reviews on products indicate an ignorance of the product's capabilities and specifications, which led them to purchase the wrong tool for the job, or to misuse the product, because they failed to read and comprehend what it was made to do and how to use the product to do what it's made to do.

Always check on TV infomercials offers that will upgrade the Warranty to a Lifetime Warranty, and make sure you carefully read the Warranty. There are limitations, including the life of the warranty, if for example they provide a complete replacement. In that case, the Warranty might end in two years, because they've legally warrantied the original item and are now giving you a replacement that has a two-year warranty. Most folks fail to read or understand a lot of that.

If you go into business for yourself, selling your own products, you'll suddenly understand and be offering the same kind of warranties. You can't give a lifetime warranty on the original AND every replacement, or you'll go broke, because people will find ways to break your products, and you'll often just have to Warranty them, because you have to assume normal wear and tear. Best of luck in your shopping and with your Shark products!!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

Purchased Shark Rotator NV680. The power button stuck after 2 months usage. I got around to mailing it back for a replacement a month later. It was a lot of trouble to package it up and mail it back but Shark told me it was my only option and they paid the postage. A new vacuum arrived and that one had a faulty motor which stopped working after 4.5 months. When I called Shark they will not give me a refund and want me to pay postage ($19.95) to send it back to be fixed. I don't want to send it back; I just want my money back because their products are junk and I can't keep sending them back every few months (at my expense). No one is able to be flexible in any way at Shark. This is a fraudulent company and I am a victim of it. I don't know where to take this but this is wrong. What can I do?

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

Shark Rotator Professional NV510 31 Model - I purchased this unit about 2 years ago and have not used it very much since I have a cleaning lady who brings her on supplies and vacuum. I got it out today to vacuum and the brush will not turn. Called Shark Clean and was told I would have to buy another brush attachment as this is not covered under warranty. I paid $249 for this piece of junk. Warranty does not state this part is now covered but customer service person said it was not covered. What a rip off.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

Paid for express delivery of a new Shark Rocket vacuum, received the box on our front porch and brought it in about 10-15 minutes later. It felt very light, upon opening we found attachments and a roll of AMC Theater posters, no vacuum. I called the customer service but they were closed so I sent an email with pictures of the box. Called customer service the next morning and was treated like I lived in the slums. They will send out another vacuum but not refund my express delivery fee. Was told they didn't know what happened to the vacuum in the minutes it sat outside of my house.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

In 2012 I upgraded my vacuum to the Shark Rotator Pro Lift Away and there were no shipping fees with this order. Since 2012 I have had the entire vacuum cleaner replaced more than once and the motorized floor nozzle replaced more than once and the dust cup replaced more than once. I have also had the flexible hose replaced as well. All these items were shipped without any shipping fees due to my extended 10 year transferable warranty that was on this product.

However as of August 2017 I have been told that since I require yet another motor part due to the lack of suction again... I will have to pay $20.00 for the shipping cost of this warranted part. I asked why and customer service explained that this has always been a rule and that the other customer service agents were not doing their jobs by letting me have free shipping with my warranty parts. Therefore... for five years customer service agents were not doing their jobs? On principle alone I will not ever buy another Shark product again.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I am unhappy with the excuses this company gives for the lack of honoring the warranty. The vacuums are cheaply made and don't last. My vacuum has a manufacturer defect and they offered to sell me new power head for 119. 00. I will never be a Shark person again.

Original review: July 27, 2017

My belt continues to break. I have had to have repaired 6xs. every time is a problem. This time they tried to charge me 85.00 to fix. I told them I'd throw in the garbage so they said they will waive one more time. I said good because you are not standing behind your warranty of 5 years and next time it will hit the garbage. Worst vacuum cleaner I have ever had.

Original review: July 26, 2017

5 Year Warranty worthless - I just got off of the phone with Shark after being told by vacuum retailer that Shark doesn't allow warranty work done by others. The brush roll motor is dead and costs $100 for part, shipping and handling -- not really worth it on a $160 vacuum. The service person had a very "I don't really care, that's just the way it is" attitude. A most unpleasant experience so I will not replace either the brush roll nor the entire vacuum with a Shark. I wish I had read reviews on this site before purchasing.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I have tried multiple times to order from the Sharkclean.com website. They are currently offering deals on the website you cannot find in stores. My orders have gone cancelled without notification or as to a reason why. Not only did they cancel my order but they flagged my account to never allow me to purchase from the company website. I tried paying both through PayPal and with my credit card as well. The customer service would also not allow me to speak to anyone to clarify why the order was cancelled and to fix the issue. They said I am welcome to go purchase at a retailer but never from their site.

I am a hard working person with a very stable job, no credit card debts, and an outstanding citizen yet they have treated me like a criminal for no reason and won't even communicate with me as to why or how to remedy the situation. I am very sad to have this experience as my family and I have used their products for years. I hope they do not continue to treat their customers so poorly and get these issues resolved as well as clean up their customer service to where they communicate properly and actually resolve issues.

Original review: June 29, 2017

I ordered the Shark Rotator power lift 3-in-one vacuum from QVC. This has to be one of the worst purchases I have ever made. I have no pets and only a few area rugs. The vacuum got so clogged after about 3 uses that it could no longer be used when the motor shut down. This was in spite of cleaning out the dust collector after each use. I called Shark and got a gal with an attitude that kept saying what a wonderful machine it is. After all her suggestions the machine still did not work. She suggested that I wash the filter but then said I would have to wait at least 45 minutes for it to dry before I tried to make the machine work again. This vacuum is going into the trash since I cannot plan on a refund because Shark does not stand behind their products. The next vacuum I can promise you will not be a Shark. Buyer beware, and stay away from Shark.

Original review: June 27, 2017

I had my husband, on my urging, purchase a SharkNinja Vacuum for Christmas 2016. By February 2017, I had been in countless phone conversations with unskilled customer service reps and their management just to get a replacement for the less than stellar product we got, it did not work at all. We then get a replacement, you have to do all the legwork by the way (they will not have their defective product picked up, you must take it to a FedEx).

The replacement has now broken down 4 months later. I have reached out to this company again, going through all their "checks" on their list with their not too "with it" representatives and upon finding out I have to take the 2nd replacement back I will have to pay for the shipping of their 3rd replacement?! Really, for a product of yours that does not work, you again, penalize your customer and have the audacity to have them pay for a 3rd replacement of your faulty product. Shame on you. Save your money and get a Dyson, lifetime warranty and they stand behind their products and assist the customer,.

Original review: May 29, 2017

Purchased Shark Vacuum cleaner Professional approximately two years ago. The entire metal hose pipe connected to the container completely broke off. I've never been pleased with this vacuum cleaner since day one as it is difficult to maneuver around furniture and the cord is cumbersome to manipulate. This is definitely a manufacturer's defect and I should receive complete refund for the equipment. I purchase machine at a discount store and most likely can retrieve credit card receipt if necessary. Please let me know how to go about obtaining compensation for this worthless product! Pictures are available of the default!

Original review: May 20, 2017

I have called in the Shark three times for two weeks trying to get a replacement part and every time I called and they told me they don't find the order. So I reorder again and tell me it's going to be five days, and still no part has come in. I am going on my third week with still no part and every time I asked to be transferred to a manager they say one moment and hang up on me. Very poor customer service.

Original review: May 12, 2017

We bought the Shark Rotator NV500 on 02/2013. In October 2014, the power head quit working. We called and they sent us a new power head. It arrived in November 2014 and was installed on November 10, 2014. Now, a little over two years later the power head has once again quit working. At the time we got the new power head in November 2014, the person we talked with told us this would be the ONLY TIME they would replace it. I guess we are now stuck with a useless $300 ($200 for the Rotator, $60 for the dust eliminator pack & $46 shipping) unit that only has suction (which is now less than when new). I have put in a request for a replacement under the 5 year warranty, but based on the previous experience and comments from others, I am not holding my breath to get it. That is, unless I pay $84 plus S&H for it. I would not recommend this to company to anyone!

Original review: May 2, 2017

Spoke to customer service about my clogged Shark Ninja and they were able to diagnose that it was obstructed and offered to send me another of $50. I agreed and with shipping and tax it came to $79. BUT the caveat is that it is on backorder and will not arrive for 4 - 6 weeks. Not sure how a vacuum cleaner company can be out of a vacuum cleaner and it ships from Chino, CA. When I complained because one cannot live without a vacuum for 4 - 6 weeks, the rep said there is nothing she can do. Does not sound right to me, they could have offered another vacuum or a solution. Felt calling them was a waste of time.

Original review: April 24, 2017

I've had my Shark for 2 years. Last time I emptied it the dust cover fell off, the hinge broke. I am totally done with this company. If anyone from corporate reads this and can fix or replace. That would be great.

Shark expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Shark is a family business in its third generation of ownership. The company makes a diverse range of household products and appliances.

• Lightweight design: Shark Navigator vacuums have lightweight designs that make cleaning easier.

• Customer reviews: Customer reviews on the Shark website help potential buyers decide which models are right for them.

• Available accessories: There are plenty of accessories that make Shark Navigator vacuums useful for cleaning vehicles, stairs, furniture and hard-to-reach surfaces.

• Customer service: Shark has strong customer services that include a lengthy online FAQ, live chat and Web support.

• VIP Warranties: Buyers can add five-year or lifetime warranties to their orders.

• Best for: Shark's range of vacuum cleaners makes it an attractive option for homeowners, renters and drivers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs