Shark Vacuums

Quit paying for costly home repairs

Shark Vacuums

Quit paying for costly home repairs

Shark Vacuums Reviews

Original review: July 19, 2019

Love Shark vacuums. I had believed that my carpet was clean when I was using another brand vacuum. The day I brought my Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional Model UV540 26. (That model number was made for Costco. But it is the same as models NV350 series.) I vacuumed the carpet again using the Shark and it picked up half a canister of dirt and hair. I was stunned. It is lightweight and excellent suction and the headlight is great. They are sometimes sold with extra extensions and tools, but I only have the minimal. My only wish is that the hose was a bit longer. I need to purchase the extension, want to do my cobwebs and vents. Be sure to empty the canister when it reaches about 3/4 full and clean the filters often. Love this vacuum and all Shark products I have tried.

Original review: July 6, 2019

This vacuum cleaner picks up the animal hair along with everything else. It is super easy to empty into the outside trash bin and the filters are easy to clean the dustout and wash by hand. The beater bar is easy to clean and as long as you take care of it, it will take care of you. It has great suction and is easy to push around, almost self driven making it easier on those of us with joint and muscle problems. We have had other vacuums and the Shark is my favorite. We have owned this for more than 2 years and it works the same now as it did when we first got it. No bags, does not put dust into the air, washable filters...no complaints.

Get expert buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 5, 2019

We bought our Shark Lift-Away even though we had much higher priced vacuums (Dyson, Rainbow and even a Roomba) because we had purchased a lake home and had taken our Dyson there. This Shark actually blew my mind! So easy to use, so portable with quick change features and above all so powerful! I asked a local vacuum repair shop about their thoughts on the Shark when I took a vacuum to them (3rd time) for warranty repair and they rated it low because of getting parts... That proved untrue when I broke one of the hose connectors (my fault) and went online to order. Not only fast service but the part was inexpensive. That is why the repair shop didn’t like Shark; they will sell you the part and at a decent price! Plus these parts are easy to attach. I would refuse ANY vacuum cleaner offered to me for my Shark! That is how I feel about Shark!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

It all started when my wife washed the entire vacuum. I came home from work not knowing it had water in it. I tried to start it up and sparks flew so I shut it off. Waited 2 days, started it up again, sparks flew and this time It smelled like I burnt the motor up, after taking it apart the fuse wasn't blown and when I ohmed out the motor checked out good so I hooked it all back together and it's been running good ever since. The kicker is Shark told me it was shot and needed replaced with a new vacuum. They are quick to make you buy a new one when there is a safety somewhere in it that makes it act as if it's shot. Don't trust the company. Take it apart and fix it yourself.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

The brush on my Shark Navigator NV353 stopped working and I am within the 5 year warranty period. I was surprised to learn the warranty only covers not moving parts so I had to pay for a new brush head unit (the entire lower part of the vacuum). It was 50% off and only cost me $35 so I wasn't that upset. I received the unit quickly and found out that wasn't the issue with the vacuum as the brush still did not engage.

I called Shark back and they are sending a new vacuum (4 week turnaround due to being out of stock) and refunding me for the part I bought while allowing me to keep it. I do have to find a box to ship my old unit back (at their expense). All in all I am satisfied with this solution and process though I thought the warranty should cover the actual moving parts not just the plastic covering and hoses.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shark?

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

I bought the Shark Navigator last year December. Within 3 months the wheel would occasionally fall off. I called them as this should be under warranty and was told that I would have to pack up my old unit and once it scanned at FedEx they send new one arriving in a week or so. I decided to not do it at that point but note the wheel falls off every time and I'm losing suction as well. I call back today and I was told that I would have to pack it up and send it to them with the shipping label that they will send me but I have to provide the Box and it'll take 4 to 6 weeks. What am I supposed to do without a vacuum. So now they said they will send me the motors and the parts but I have to assemble it myself. I will never buy another shark item again. Read the fine print, on the warranty just because it's covered doesn't mean it's covered.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2019

I love Shark vacuums and have had many. Just bought a Shark Powerhead Vacuum. It works fine but unless you have an empty room it really isn't the great product they make it out as. The vacuum doesn't come apart at all so doing stairs, couches or chairs is a big problem, anything that requires vacuuming with an attachment is out of the question. The "powerhead" doesn't fit under the cupboards so unfortunately you need 2 vacuums to do this. I feel that Shark blew it! Why would you make a vacuum that only does half the job?!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

We purchased a new Shark recently and the customer service to replace/exchange the unit was dismissive and very disappointing, truly my experience is unacceptable. I have owned Shark vacuums for years and have loved them. We recently moved and I ordered the Shark Apex DuoClean PLA with Zero-M from the TV info commercial. We received the vacuum before we received our furniture from the moving company. The first time I used the vacuum it was so heavy I could hardly move it. I thought it may be the exhaustion from the move, packing and unpacking for weeks, etc. After trying it now on 5 different occasions, I reached out to Shark to discuss the possibility of an exchange as I spent $491 on the package purchase! I was informed I would have had to call within the first 90 days to return it and now we are at 5 months, even though I explained I have only used it 5 times now.

My husband and I are retired and in a limited budget. I will be turning 70 in a couple of months and consider myself fit, but this is more than a ‘workout’ for me—I simply cannot use the unit for fear of injury. Shark customer service was not interested in my issue and were completely unwilling to work with me in any way. Very disappointed, I would never recommend this vacuum but more importantly, because of their dismissive response to a real problem I experienced, I will never do business with Shark in the future. Unacceptable customer service.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

Very disappointed with my Shark Rotator Lift Away. I have to cut the hair out of the roller regularly or the vacuum will not work. I have shoulder length hair which should not be an issue for a vacuum. I had my Dyson Animal for 10 years and it survived two labs that shed every day, teenager with long hair, me with shoulder length hair, my husband and boys with short hair. After our labs passed decided to try the Shark and am disappointed with the roller. I called Shark and was told to use my tweezers to dig out the hair - gross. I have owned this vacuum for less than 6 months and have had to clean hair out often. I have never had to do this with my Dyson or the Hoover I owned before that. I think Shark needs to improve this on their vacuums.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I've wanted a Shark for a long time but since I only have Social Security I didn't think I could ever get one. Then about a year ago, Macy's had them on sale. Mastercard and I bought a red Navigator. I have a very small house and no pets. The Shark worked fine at first. Then it just quit. I emptied the canister, though it wasn't full, and let it rest. As per instructions. It started but instead of cleaning, it DEPOSITED dirt. I got so frustrated I thumped it on the floor and a big pile of dirt fell out. From where?? Obviously, I can't just go buy another vacuum. I'm so very disappointed.

Shark expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Shark is a family business in its third generation of ownership. The company makes a diverse range of household products and appliances.

• Lightweight design: Shark Navigator vacuums have lightweight designs that make cleaning easier.

• Customer reviews: Customer reviews on the Shark website help potential buyers decide which models are right for them.

• Available accessories: There are plenty of accessories that make Shark Navigator vacuums useful for cleaning vehicles, stairs, furniture and hard-to-reach surfaces.

• Customer service: Shark has strong customer services that include a lengthy online FAQ, live chat and Web support.

• VIP Warranties: Buyers can add five-year or lifetime warranties to their orders.

• Best for: Shark's range of vacuum cleaners makes it an attractive option for homeowners, renters and drivers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs