Shark Navigator Vacuum

Compare Vacuums

Research top Vacuums recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had my Shark replaced after years of use. Now the new one shocks us every time we use it. I called Shark. They say rub it with a dryer sheet. Still months later no better. They say no electrical going in the handle so should not shock.

Got home with my new Rotator Speed. Brush roll not working. Went through the troubleshooting steps twice, still nothing. Called Shark "customer support". Service rep insisted on walking me through all the steps I had already done. At one point, she asked me to let her know when I turned on the vac. I said "ready" and she said in a rude tone "I don't hear a vacuum running." Well lady, I'm standing right here and it IS running. So let's proceed. Long story short, like I thought, it was defective. I was told to return to store. Gee, thanks. I could have done that without 15 minutes on the phone.

My son bought me this vacuum from Amazon in January 2016. The bottom wheels disintegrated in 10 months time. I called customer service which I might add has to be the rudest customer service I've ever dealt with. I explained I needed the wheels and was told that I have to pack up the vacuum and send it back. They will send me a mailing label but I have to pay for the vacuum to be shipped back which will be 19.95 not to mention what it will cost me for the packing of a large vacuum to send it to them. My vacuum is still under warranty so this is ridiculous for wheels that cost maybe a dollar. I refused to send my vacuum back. It would cost me entirely too much. I will never buy another Shark product.

Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional (NV356E) - I bought this in February of 2016 from Amazon and it just stopped working on me last week. I bought a warranty with it. I called the warranty company who referred me to the manufacturer Shark. Customer service was horrible. They told me I would get a replacement part in 2 day. Never got a replacement part. Called back and they said the part is on back order til December. So I have to be without a vacuum for 3 months. I asked for a supervisor 'cause that was unacceptable and they said someone will call me back but they still haven't. So pissed I spent close to $200 for this vacuum cleaner and it just stop working and I can't even get it fixed or get a replacement. Don't buy from Shark. The vacuum is crap and the customer service is crap.

I received a Shark professional rotator vacuum as a gift 2 years ago... LOVE this vacuum and LOVE Sharks customer service. I dropped the vacuum twice over the past few months and called Shark directly. They immediately sent me replacement parts, for FREE, no questions asked! This company truly backs their products!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shark?

I ordered a vacuum directly from Sharkclean.com. I subsequently received an email letting me know they order had been cancelled. I contacted them via chat and they indicated Scot. "Thank you for your patience. I'm so sorry, for our mutual protection your order has been cancelled as the billing information on file was deemed invalid. I am afraid that I must inform you that no further orders will be processed for your account. This is a security procedure in place to protect card holders. For privacy reasons I am unable see the specific error which triggered this security software, however I would have to direct you to purchase this unit at a retail store as further orders on your account will be cancelled automatically."

Really? No reason and my account is cancelled? I have bought from 100's of online companies and I had never ever had something as ridiculous as this happen to me. I did apply a $25.00 discount to the order. I believe this is the real reason they cancelled my order.

I've never received better customer service than I did today, when I called Shark. The wheel fell off my Shark Rotator vacuum. To start with, I was put through right away to service rep Gage. He was knowledgeable, polite and efficient. He said that because my vacuum was within the five year warranty, they would gladly replace the floor nozzle unit. Not only is Shark paying for the shipping cost but they also emailed a convenient return label. And I'm not even required to send in my original purchase receipt (they confirmed my purchase by looking it up on their computer). Thankfully, their label is designed to mail your parcel at any of the well known package delivery companies, which means I can mail it at the post office, (there are no UPS or FedEx stores here in the boondocks). I'm so pleased that I'll able to keep my Shark. I've become spoiled in owning such a versatile machine and have no desire to own any another brand. It does it all!

I had a fault with my Shark Vacuum cleaner (which I purchased an year ago) and it stopped working since June/July 2016. I called in customer service and was able to speak to them after several attempts. The customer service person told me that I need to return my unit so they can ship me a new one in a week or so. I was told there will be $20 shipping charge to send the non-working unit but I ended up paying $20 more for wrapping the product to FedEx it. I am still waiting for more than a month to get my new unit yet and when I called in couple of weeks ago, they said the product is in warehouse picking status (as the product may be no more in stock) and they will escalate and send a product which is similar or greater in value.

I called in customer service this Monday (3rd week) as well as Friday (today) and they were rude in saying the same thing that this is already escalated and they are not giving me a date when the new product will be shipped. The worst customer service I have ever experienced so far. Please DO NOT BUY any SHARK products. Their product and customer service is the worst than anything.

I have had a Shark NV3598E for about 4 years and it has worked flawlessly. I vac just about everyday having 5 cats and a dog. My daughter has a Shark powered Lift-Away TruePet and we could not find the number on her machine, only a serial number. Her dog ate her brush and we wanted to replace it with something a little stiffer. There are 4 models of this Lift-Away TruePet and we did want a pet tool brush, how difficult can it be? I called without having the machine in front of me, I know my fault. She does live 5 hrs away and neither her nor her husband could find the model number, maybe the dog chewed that off too? Not knowing if this pet tool fits a TruePet or just a Rotator or maybe a 57 Chevy.

Right from the get go I got the rudest lady imaginable. If you have a bad day at home you don't take it to work, if you have a bad day at work you hide it on the phone. I needed to have the machine in front of me she said (kind of thought that) but it is a hand held pet tool. I was ready to give her the number of the pet tool to see if it would fit any of these 4 machines. I even had the number of the machines or the hand tool handy but she did not even give me a chance. I think she could have tried to cross reference those numbers, as many times she told me to call back. The other day I talked to the nicest lady from Sirius XM, but that is another story. I only mentioned this to show there are some very nice people in the trenches answering phones.

I really loved my Shark rotator, & would recommend shark to everyone. Until about a year after I received my vac or steam shark the steam quit heating, so when I called the Customer Support # I was told to return the vac & steam & it would be replaced. Afraid I would not get the same or equal to in return, I asked how this worked & what would I be getting in return? At which time I was told that the rotator vac or steam was no longer available, so I would get the rotator Lift away and a steam mop of equal or greater value. Which I would of been happy with that. If that would of been what I received.

Instead I was shocked to see what I was sent in return. the Cheapest steam mop they have, model # S3251 N2A and the vacuum was the same, model #NV105. I have never been so disappointed & let down in my life. Now I won't recommend shark to anyone! And every time I have to Vac or mop it really upsets me & I feel very ripped off because what I received was in no comparison to what I had returned to them.

Have 2 Shark sweepers, paid $36.00 each, very good sweepers. Worked great for the money I paid. The battery packs went out and they wanted $28.95 per battery pack. Telling me that the sweeper rest of the sweeper was only worth $7.05. However if you looked for another replacement part on the same sweeper it was over $30.00 - something wrong with their math. Again the sweepers worked fine for the 9 months before the battery pack went out. No one in customer support knew anything, was informed to buy new sweepers. I'll just go back to the broom and dust pan. Would advise anyone buying from Shark to review their replacement parts first. The battery pack I needed was XB2700 = 4 aa rechargeable battery pack.

Well my last vacuum, green cleaning machine from Shark, that I had for a long time, decided it was time to die, I didn't even check if I could fix it, and I'm sorry for that. The suction on this machine was unbelievable. I researched a lot for a new good vacuum, wanted to find an equal suction vacuum. The rotator was praised highly and was compared to Dyson (that is considered a great vacuum and it was double the price), plus I was happy with my previous Shark, why change? That is what I thought. I was wrong.

I got the Rotator nv750w, with a lot of extra parts. At the moment I find no great use for them but if you are already getting a new machine you might as well get the extras, how can it hurt? Well the suction is poor, all this YouTube reports and comparisons made me believe that it was better than it really is. The hose that connects the vacuum with the sweeper is too short, everything is too heavy, even with the caddy that is being wheeled behind taking care of the canister weight, the hose should really be longer. Set aside the inconveniences of the product which I'd be willing to ignore if only the suction would have been like my previous vacuum.

I'm not returning product cause it's a huge inconvenience and stupidly enough I threw the box away cause I really expected to be happy with this vacuum (that's why I love shopping on Amazon, no problem with returns, no hustles, even if its a couple of extra bucks). Bottomline, go to the store to check product live before spending $450 (Yes, I paid extra $99 + $15 shipping to get a few extras "a gift"). Hope this was helpful, not trying to say don't get it. Just check it out before you do. Maybe my expectations were high but then again, why shouldn't they be? In one word, disappointed.

Same exact experiences as other customers, purchased (wasted my hard earned money) on the Navigator swivel. Had it 3 months and the motor (that turns the rollers) burnt out. How nice they replaced a cheap $1.00 belt for a $70.00 part!!! Called customer service, that's a joke, customer service. The only service I received was from behind with no lube!!! My question is this, with all the complaints how or why is this so called company still in business or at least not being held accountable? Very angry hard working consumer!!!

I bought a shark navigator vacuum a year ago. A few weeks ago it just wouldn't turn on. I am constantly cleaning the rolls, filters, and canister as I use it for work. So, it had been well maintained. Anyway, disappointed I called Shark and was told it has a 3 year warranty. They sent me a label, I packed, sent original receipt and shipped last saturday and today Saturday one week later my new Shark is here! I am so happy they stand by their products! I call it my little buddy because it is so lightweight and easy to clean. Very happy. Now the test to see how long this one will last. Happy for now though. It was an easy process... start to finish!

I purchased a Shark 500 3 years ago and never had a problem. It totally quit working last week. Customer service was excellent! I had a choice of sending the old one back at their expense or purchase a new one at a greatly discounted price. I chose the discounted price. They sent the Shark 700 at a price of 100.00, although I didn't get the small rotating brush I like to use on the stairs. When I called again they sent one at no charge.

I have used this vacuum cleaner a total of 10 times. Now, the brush roll will not work. I have cleaned out the hair and debris and it still will not work! I watched a ridiculous Youtube video with a lady taking about 15 screws out of the head, unplugging a small digital wire, taking more screws out and then finally, ''carefully" pulling the head apart, then more screws and finally, you can check to see if the belt is ok.

The whole time the simpering woman is saying how simple it is. She had to to use two sizes of screw drivers, a pointy thing to ''carefully pry'' (her words, not mine) the wheels off and a ''coin'' to turn some more locks!!! I'M SO SORRY I EVER PURCHASED THIS STUPID VACUUM, AND I'M TAKING IT BACK AND getting a HOOVER, EUREKA or some normal vacuum cleaner!!!

I bought the Shark Professional Rotator model NV501 4 years ago. In that time I have had to replace the floor nozzle, the piece the tank attaches to when used as an upright, 2 times. The hot wheel tires they use on the floor nozzle are cheap and fall after 1.5 years or so. I try to reattach to no avail. Once rod that holds the wheel on the floor nozzle falls off, there is no way to reattach. I have tried on both. Each time Shark charges you $90 to replace the floor nozzle. The motor still works great, the plastic parts just fall apart.

I've only had the Shark DC41 for 1 year. The roller does not work. According to the comments this seems to be a problem with this vacuum. Why does it not work and how do I fix it without paying 50 $100.00 to repair?

We made the mistake of buying this at a retail store, and when the roller stopped working, we took it to a local Shark repair shop. They said they could not get the parts to repair it, and charged $50 for this information. The repair shops are as broken as the Shark company itself.

I had only emptied the collection chamber once since I purchased my Shark Professional Vacuum circa summer 15' where the handle snapped off while I was using the vacuum in my apartment. And because it has been over 60 days since I purchased my Shark I will not be getting a refund/exchange. The machine seems to be designed well excluding the toy like thickness of the plastic handle ;( It is almost as if it was intentionally designed to break keeping demand up?

I bought a Shark vacuum and loved it at first but I have had it less than 1 year and have taken good care of it and one day it just broke no reason at all. The rotation device just stopped rotating. I am very disappointed in this product and will NEVER buy another Shark product!! When you pay almost $200, it should last more than one year.

Bought a shark cordless hand vacuum model SV75Z_N14. Barely used it a dozen times before the vacuum could not be recharged and needed to buy a new battery. Guess how much Shark's replacement battery costs? $36. The vacuum itself costs about $34 from Wal-Mart. So the replacement battery costs more. And what does the replacement battery look like? A collection of 6 AA batteries tied together with electrical cords running out of it. Do not buy! Terrible quality and terrible company!

I bought two of the Shark Rotator Lift Aways. When the cord separated from the vacuum I thought it was just a fluke but when it happened with the second one I realized this may be a problem with their vacuums. The second one even sparked. Paying over $250.00 for a vacuum cleaner you would think would last over 6 months and the manufacturer would back up their product. Very unhappy customer...

I cannot recommend the vacuum or the company. Please do not waste time or money on them. First, the vacuum is overpriced, very heavy, cumbersome, difficult to use, and poorly made -- in China. I do not like to struggle with a heavy item, that works poorly before I even begin cleaning. The customer service and ordering department is awful! The rep spoke very quickly in an effort to sell more items, sign me up for magazines, and confuse me. I also had to pay $58.00 to ship the junk to my home, then another $53.00 to send it back! Since Shark REFUSED to send a shipping label, I had to transport the heavy item to a UPS location 20 miles away to have it weighed and shipped. They do not refund shipping and charged a 10% restocking fee. I will never ever buy from them.

I have been super impressed with how the Shark upright vacuum works, and satisfied with the handheld cordless's performance. The upright is light, has several functions, great suction, easy maneuverability, etc. The problem is - they don't last. I have now owned three uprights and four cordless Shark products in about 3 years. They have so many problems and as far as I can tell, an average lifespan of about six months with normal use. Each time I have declined the store warranty, believing a product should work without needing the warranty necessarily. I believe the Shark policy is "if you want this to actually serve you for a fair amount of time, you will have to pay extra."

Because I declined store warranties, I dealt directly with Shark. They have been decent in listening and attempting over the phone troubleshooting, but ultimately, have needed to either send me a new product at a slightly discounted price, or send me parts where I pay for part and shipping - some of the time I may as well purchase another new unit for the price it would cost. Twice the replacement part was not the culprit of the issue and I ended up having to rebuy anyway, only with a long delay in the meantime. I think the Shark vacuums work as well as the Dysons I've tried, and for less money, so I keep wanting to try them again. This time around, I am going through Costco or BB&B where I know they will stand behind the products they sell without charging you an additional 25% and weeks of waiting.

I had received a notice from a collection agency saying that I had a past due amount of $99.88. I called the Shark customer service center in an attempt to correct the mistake that they had made. I made four calls each time asking the CSR to speak with a supervisor and 4 times I was given excuses and never was able to speak with a supervisor to clear up the mistake that they had made.

Call 1. I was told no supervisor was available and that they would call back within 4 hours. This never happened. Call 2. When I asked to speak with a supervisor I was told they were all busy. I indicated that I would hold and the representative said she could not tie up her line as she needed to be taking calls. Call 3. This time the CSR told me that all the supervisors were at dinner. Call 4. I asked the CSR to speak with a supervisor. I was placed on hold for awhile and finally when the CSR came back to the phone she said she spoke to a supervisor and was told to tell me to contact my financial institution and never got to speak with a supervisor to clear up the error that Shark had made.

To make this short version. They had the wrong person. There is another person with the same name as me in another part of the country. The effort was not put into this matter to ensure that they had the right person to send the collection notice to. This whole matter was handled very un-professionally and to top it off not even an apology for the error that they made!! I will make sure all my family and friends know how I was treated. It is sad to see how quick the finger was pointed at the wrong person.

Very unhappy with Shark not replacing my NP 320 Lift-Around® Portable Vacuum, it's under warranty and they got the broke one back. I can't get them to tell me where I can buy another one. This is the best little vac I have ever owned - it's lightweight and has the floor attachment, had a 3-5 year warranty, but they quit making them I assume since I can't seem to find them anywhere. No other product can replace this vacuum. I am very upset that you can't let me know if and when I will get it replaced. I own several Shark products and highly recommend them to others, always leave a 5 star rating, can't believe your customer service is looking like all the other companies who just don't care about their customers.

Heavy vacuum. Very noticeable over my last cheap Eureka. I can easily deal with the weight, however someone older or with less muscle would have to wrangle this vacuum whether in normal vacuum mode or detached. After vacuuming the house twice I had to sit down, take a knife and cut off all the hair that was heavily wrapping around the brush. I called about the problem, waited on long time to speak to someone and the girl basically said "Oh, well, that is too bad", no way to fix that. There must be a trick to this or I am just out of luck. I no longer have the box to return and I hate the fact of paying shipping for something that doesn't work.

Well I have called 6 times and nothing has been done correctly. I just need a shipping label sent to my email but that is way to hard for any of them to handle. I got hung up on by Brier after I ask to send me to the survey line. I called back again to speak to a manager but it's a 4-hour wait. I will never buy a Shark again. I knew I should just stick with my Kirby, their customer service is there for you and not just taking up space and hating their job. I would save the time and stress of dealing with this company and their ** employees.

Shark needs to offer a 6 month online course in the confusing array of options and WHAT IS INCLUDED in the model you might be considering. If you look at the infomercials available on YouTube, you'll likely be very excited. You'll see folks using this vacuum in "lift-away" mode, taking off the canister and using the vacuum with just the wand."Oh that looks great" you think. Wrong!!! This model doesn't have that option!!! It's touted as a wonderful thing!!! I'm sure it is!!! Why sell a model that doesn't do what it's advertised to do??? The people at Shark are liars!!! They're thieves!!! You'll see folks using the vacuum in "canister mode". You'll see them vacuuming under appliances. You'll see them vacuuming upholstery. You'll hear them say "this vacuum can do anything". Bull!!!

All of the accessories have to be purchased SEPARATELY! A canister dolly, the under appliance tool, the wide upholstery tool, NOT INCLUDED. Furthermore, if you want them (and who wouldn't want them) those accessories are hard to find and bloody expensive! This leads me to conclude that the people at Shark have no integrity! They're vile **! If I met someone who worked for Shark I would have to assume that he or she worked for Bernie Madoff before he (Madoff) was sent to prison. I hate liars! If you're going to advertise what this vacuum can do include all of the tools! Include everything! Otherwise be known as a Liar, a Thief! The Shark employees should all be dragged out of their homes, their noses shoved into gravel and their brains blown out of their facial orifices!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Shark is a family business in its third generation of ownership. The company makes a diverse range of household products and appliances.

• Lightweight design: Shark Navigator vacuums have lightweight designs that make cleaning easier.
  • Customer reviews: Customer reviews on the Shark website help potential buyers decide which models are right for them.
  • Available accessories: There are plenty of accessories that make Shark Navigator vacuums useful for cleaning vehicles, stairs, furniture and hard-to-reach surfaces.
  • Customer service: Shark has strong customer services that include a lengthy online FAQ, live chat and Web support.
  • VIP Warranties: Buyers can add five-year or lifetime warranties to their orders.
  • Best for Shark's range of vacuum cleaners makes it an attractive option for homeowners, renters and drivers.

Compare Vacuum Cleaners