Shark Vacuums

Quit paying for costly home repairs

Shark Vacuums

Quit paying for costly home repairs

514 Shark Vacuums Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 19, 2019

Love Shark vacuums. I had believed that my carpet was clean when I was using another brand vacuum. The day I brought my Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional Model UV540 26. (That model number was made for Costco. But it is the same as models NV350 series.) I vacuumed the carpet again using the Shark and it picked up half a canister of dirt and hair. I was stunned. It is lightweight and excellent suction and the headlight is great. They are sometimes sold with extra extensions and tools, but I only have the minimal. My only wish is that the hose was a bit longer. I need to purchase the extension, want to do my cobwebs and vents. Be sure to empty the canister when it reaches about 3/4 full and clean the filters often. Love this vacuum and all Shark products I have tried.

Original review: July 6, 2019

This vacuum cleaner picks up the animal hair along with everything else. It is super easy to empty into the outside trash bin and the filters are easy to clean the dustout and wash by hand. The beater bar is easy to clean and as long as you take care of it, it will take care of you. It has great suction and is easy to push around, almost self driven making it easier on those of us with joint and muscle problems. We have had other vacuums and the Shark is my favorite. We have owned this for more than 2 years and it works the same now as it did when we first got it. No bags, does not put dust into the air, washable filters...no complaints.

Get expert buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 5, 2019

We bought our Shark Lift-Away even though we had much higher priced vacuums (Dyson, Rainbow and even a Roomba) because we had purchased a lake home and had taken our Dyson there. This Shark actually blew my mind! So easy to use, so portable with quick change features and above all so powerful! I asked a local vacuum repair shop about their thoughts on the Shark when I took a vacuum to them (3rd time) for warranty repair and they rated it low because of getting parts... That proved untrue when I broke one of the hose connectors (my fault) and went online to order. Not only fast service but the part was inexpensive. That is why the repair shop didn’t like Shark; they will sell you the part and at a decent price! Plus these parts are easy to attach. I would refuse ANY vacuum cleaner offered to me for my Shark! That is how I feel about Shark!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

It all started when my wife washed the entire vacuum. I came home from work not knowing it had water in it. I tried to start it up and sparks flew so I shut it off. Waited 2 days, started it up again, sparks flew and this time It smelled like I burnt the motor up, after taking it apart the fuse wasn't blown and when I ohmed out the motor checked out good so I hooked it all back together and it's been running good ever since. The kicker is Shark told me it was shot and needed replaced with a new vacuum. They are quick to make you buy a new one when there is a safety somewhere in it that makes it act as if it's shot. Don't trust the company. Take it apart and fix it yourself.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

The brush on my Shark Navigator NV353 stopped working and I am within the 5 year warranty period. I was surprised to learn the warranty only covers not moving parts so I had to pay for a new brush head unit (the entire lower part of the vacuum). It was 50% off and only cost me $35 so I wasn't that upset. I received the unit quickly and found out that wasn't the issue with the vacuum as the brush still did not engage.

I called Shark back and they are sending a new vacuum (4 week turnaround due to being out of stock) and refunding me for the part I bought while allowing me to keep it. I do have to find a box to ship my old unit back (at their expense). All in all I am satisfied with this solution and process though I thought the warranty should cover the actual moving parts not just the plastic covering and hoses.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shark?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I like my Shark handheld vac but I'm very disappointed in Shark. When product is older and not the newest model you can no longer get replacement parts for their vacuums. So I'm forced to purchase a new vac or use an old filter. Will never buy a Shark again. They force people to buy new instead of continue to use a good vac because I cant replace the filter. CRAP COMPANY THAT RIPS OFF CONSUMERS.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I have had 4 top of the line Shark vacs so far. Every single one develops the same problem - the lower hose in the powerhead separates in places after about a year and the vacuum ceases to function properly. You would think this known problem would have been corrected by now. Do not buy a Shark vacuum unless you plan on replacing it every year. I will never purchase another Shark product.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

With seven dogs and three cats and a big pet hair problem, I was very excited to receive the Shark Ninja Apex Duo Clean vacuum cleaner. First, let me say that it really does clean as promised. It sucked up so much hair from my rugs that I was embarrassed. I have no problems with its ability to clean or the array of attachments that come with it.

My issues are with the heavy weight of the thing. It is truly a monster and difficult for the average woman to manage. It is very difficult to push and pull and it does not maneuver well at all, continually smashing into and damaging my furniture. My husband tried it out and he also said it is way too heavy and clumsy. My other issue is that the hose for the various attachments is too short, requiring me to bend way over when using the attachments, which bothers my back. There is also a learning curve involved with using the attachments. But that's the least of the problems. Unfortunately, I have no choice but to return it. But bear in mind, that it DOES clean very very well. But be prepared to get your daily workout when using it.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

This vacuum is very top heavy and anytime you try to use the hose and attachments the entire body wants to tip over. The unit tipped over three or more times the very first time I tried to vacuum the couch. The suction power was good for getting up lots of dust. When I used the hose to try and do stairs it’s not long enough to stretch to all of the stairs. I had to do bottom stairs first then do top stairs. I only went down to third step down and even propped the vacuum against the wall to keep from tipping. The entire unit fell on my head rapidly and busted my head open and cut me and dented my forehead. This vacuum weighs almost 20 pounds so it hurt a lot! My head was bleeding and I felt dizzy. It cut me pretty good. There is no possible way to complete the stairs doing from the bottom. The picture of lady with long hose on box is misleading. I returned the vacuum and have been icing my head since!

Original review: July 27, 2019

I absolutely love my Shark Duo Ultra lift pet vacuum. Unfortunately after owning for a year the bristle roll brush stopped spinning. When I looked at it, it seemed as though the wheel bearing had seized up. When researching I found that you can purchase a new bristle roll brush for $12.95. I called Shark customer service to see if this was under warranty but they claimed it was not because it was considered wear and tear. She had me run a series of tests with my vacuum while on the phone and then decided I would have to purchase a new part. So I asked them if I needed to purchase a new bristle roll brush.

I was informed that I would have to purchase the entire base of the vacuum for $90. I told them I was not prepared to spend that much money and they offered to cut it in half without shipping. I again declined and told them I would wait. I did order the $12.95 roll brush and was actually able to carefully remove my wheel bearing area and clean it out. When I popped it back in the vacuum worked like new. Highly disappointed that instead of just selling me the $12.95 part, they try to upsell me and almost made me purchase half of a new vacuum.

Shark expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Shark is a family business in its third generation of ownership. The company makes a diverse range of household products and appliances.

• Lightweight design: Shark Navigator vacuums have lightweight designs that make cleaning easier.

• Customer reviews: Customer reviews on the Shark website help potential buyers decide which models are right for them.

• Available accessories: There are plenty of accessories that make Shark Navigator vacuums useful for cleaning vehicles, stairs, furniture and hard-to-reach surfaces.

• Customer service: Shark has strong customer services that include a lengthy online FAQ, live chat and Web support.

• VIP Warranties: Buyers can add five-year or lifetime warranties to their orders.

• Best for: Shark's range of vacuum cleaners makes it an attractive option for homeowners, renters and drivers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs