2.88/5

334 Shark Vacuums Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Bought a Shark NV95 upright vacuum cleaner, very poor suction from day one. Cleaned the lines and emptied the dust collector, no help. Checked the technical help section on their website and followed all the recommended steps, no help. Called them up, told them the vacuum was only 4 months old, has no suction, and the switch on it (for carpet to bare floors) only worked for carpets and did nothing in bare floor mode. Not even lights came on. A woman stayed on the phone with me for 45 minutes while I went through all the procedures on the web page that I'd already done, to prove it still didn't work. Eventually they said I could send it back (on my dime) and they'd replace it. They took my credit card number to pay for the shipping, and told me they'd send me a shipping ticket (return goods authorization) for it. Never happened. Called a 2nd time and got less satisfaction from a rude customer service rep. Piece of junk, don't buy one.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

My (wonderful) Electrolux is 23 years old and still in excellent condition. However, because my husband said it hurts his back to use it (canister), we decided to invest in an upright and decided on the Shark because I had read the (rave) reviews and my girlfriend said she has 3 Shark vacuums (she has a split level) and would never be without a Shark vacuum. So, in September 2016, we purchased the Shark Upright Lift-Away from the QVC Channel for $279, which included all the attachments including the roll-about caddy upon which you put the canister and which rolls around with you so that you don't have to hold the canister while you vacuum under beds, tables, etc.

This is one of the WORST vacuums I have ever used. Probably, because I was so used to a canister vacuum, I had a very hard time adjusting to the upright. Just vacuuming the kitchen and the bedroom, the sweat was pouring off of me even though I had the A/C on (we live in Florida). I had a terrible time maneuvering the power nozzle, however, now, after owning this vacuum for 2 years, I can maneuver it much better. When vacuuming the bathroom rugs with the power nozzle, it ate the rugs. (I later learned to use one of the brush attachments.)

Every time I "stretched out" to vacuum, the canister fell over (and it hurts when it hits the back of your leg). The hose DOES NOT STRETCH OUT and I have tried numerous times to try to stretch out the hose so that it will not curl back into a tight hose, but that doesn't work. Also, there is a ring going around the hose and I have tried to move the ring from the top of the hose (and handle) to the bottom of the hose to see if this would stretch out the hose, but the ring won't move. I had such a horrible time with this Shark, I called the company and asked them if they had classes on how to use it!! They gave me a Website to go on and view videos of how to use the various attachments, etc. Well, that was a waste of time because the man explaining what to do and how to use the vacuum had about as much enthusiasm and personality as a dead fish. There were about 5 videos and they were all useless.

If there is a speck of something, like a crumb, stuck to the floor, you have to use one of the rug settings so the beater brushes will (maybe) loosen it from the floor. Also, because the blower/suction is so powerful (a pro for this product), sometimes I find that instead of picking up the particle on the floor/rug, it blows it away - especially with dog hair. Taking the long handle out to use it with a brush attachment is relatively easy; however, when taking the short handle out, you have to have the strength of "The Rock" to pull it out. Sometimes, when I try to pull the short handle out, I pick up the whole vacuum cleaner.

Also, there are times I have to press the button to start the vacuum at least 3 or 4 times. I press the Start button, the vacuum turns on and then immediately turns off, so I have to do it again and again and again until it finally stays on... This also happens when turning the vacuum off. When vacuuming rug (area rug or scatter rug) to floor, there's no problem; however, when vacuuming floor to area or scatter rug, this vacuum gets stuck and does not easily slide onto the rug - you either have to lift the vacuum or shove (or pull) hard to get it onto the rug. The above are my "cons" for this vacuum. The "pros" for this vacuum are: The suction is excellent. The very long cord is a plus (just be careful because it can trip you if you're not careful). The light is also a plus, especially seeing dog fur on the floor and crumbs on the floor under the bottoms of cabinets.

After we purchased this Shark, I checked on the Electrolux vacuum cleaners. Yes, they were more expensive than this Shark vacuum cleaner, however, the reviews were (also) excellent and the newer Electrolux vacuums are very quiet. I still love my 23-year-old Electrolux and do use it occasionally. I'm glad that this Shark vacuum cleaner cannot talk because, even though I am more used to it, I still have issues with it (even after 2 years) and it is frustrating. I don't know if I'd ever own a Shark vacuum again. I sincerely believe that When this Shark stops working, I will definitely check out and probably purchase another Electrolux. We do have a Shark dustbuster, which is probably 10-12 years old and it is phenomenal. We certainly would purchase this item again. Possibly, my age (75) has something to do with my negativity towards this Shark vacuum, but I doubt it.

Get expert buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Parts not covered under warranty. The Shark model NV803 that I purchased 15 months ago has a five year warranty they say but after having a problem and calling customer service or five, they tell me that the powerhead which is the brush assembly that contacts the floor, the motor has gone bad and that is not covered under warranty. It is called a consumable parts by them or $90 plus shipping. They will sell me one but since I paid $350 for what I thought was going to be a five year warranty product very unhappy to be told that I need to be spending money on parts I feel should be covered under the warranty.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I like the Shark nv360 vacuum and its accessories, but dislike the dust cup design and low quality plastic latch hinges. The hinges crack and break off while I am cleaning the dust cup. After which the latches have to be taped to prevent the dirt/dust from leaking out while vacuuming. The way that the dust cup's 2 lids are hinged on same side makes it clumsy to wash. The canister/cup lids are hinged on with good quality and design hinges which should also be used for the dust cup latches that lock the dust cup to the vacuum system. I have had to replace the dust cup twice in three years since I purchased the vacuum new. That is three dust cups for one vacuum! I will give away my unit and buy another brand because of the dust cup lid design and breakage of dust cup latch hinges.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I really loved this light, easy to use, vacuum until after about two years I noticed the coil hose inside the power attachment was rotting away and splitting between the metal parts. According to the website only the motor is guaranteed and the replacement part would be 68 dollars not including shipping etc. I will never purchase another one of these vacuums for this reason.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shark?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Bought the Shark Duo that came with two batteries. After several months, one of the batteries will not hold a charge and lasts only a few minutes in the machine. Called for warranty replacement and they told me it would cost me $20.00 to ship another battery to me. Plus the other one had to be shipped back! No wonder it comes with two batteries, you get one good one and an obvious reject battery for the second one! Don't bother buying from this company, they don't stand behind their "warranty."

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Previously owned a Dyson, bought Shark to save a little money. DuoClean broke after 1 month. Replacement has been a nightmare, after 2 months I still don't have a vacuum. Save the trouble, BUY THE DYSON! And for the record, my Dyson broke after a year. Dyson overnighted me the replacement part at no cost with zero questions.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I bought a Shark vacuum. It works well, however, eventually you need new filters, attachments, etc. Well, after ordering the parts I needed numerous times, the wrong parts were sent to me. Good luck getting a hold of someone to talk to. Live chat is non existent. The wrong part was sent to me twice, although, I had the orders saved, screenshot. I paid to send the parts back and received less than half refund for each part that was sent (not what I had ordered). Never will I ever buy a Shark vacuum again. Customer service is completely horrendous.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I had a different kind of Shark Vacuum which I loved, too bad it did not even last 2 years. So, this time, I bought the model that was a little more expensive, thinking it would be better than the first. Wrong! This one feels like a whole different vacuum cleaner, the detachments are bulky, heavy, do not stretch, I cannot reach the ceiling without picking the whole thing up, and that bothers my arms. The upright vacuum, just rolling it on the carpet works good, but the cord is too short, I have to unplug it from room to room. I am disappointed.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I bought this product specifically because it looked like the lady in the photo on the box was cleaning her staircase with ease. Guess what? The part she is using doesn't come with this product!!! Misleading and false advertising! When I spoke with the phone representative, he said it was a common problem people experienced! Change it Shark! Sheesh!!! Hey investors, don't invest here, the company must be broke if they can't afford to make a different box for each product!!! $200 mistake!!!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

DON'T BUY THIS VACUUM. I bought the vacuum for 400 dollars and tried it. The batteries will not charge. The vacuum will not turn on and they will not refund me my money. I hope that someone can do something about these people ripping people off. I live on a very limited income and bought the vacuum because I thought it would be lighter and I could vacuum my couch by myself. But if a vacuum doesn't work what good is it. I just don't want to see others taken advantage of.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

There is a warranty but the parts they replace with may not match in color. My vacuum is red and gray and they can only get me a purple base. This is not right at all. Will file with the BBB for misleading in warranty.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I have had my Shark since May. At first it was okay, now it isn't anything more than a piece of junk, a very expensive piece of junk that is. I have spent two days pulling every filter and piece that detaches to clean and still I can't use it. I wouldn't suggest this vacuum to anyone. I have had several expensive vacuums in the past and never had an issue, they just wore out but this is nothing but a joke.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Belt broke on vacuum. Called customer service and they don't have replacements; can only replace/sell base! I might as well just buy a brand new vacuum. The product itself is pretty good but the customer service sucks! Won't be buying another Shark product! Buyer beware!!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

Bought vacuum Nov 2017. Belt broke Aug 2018. You need special tools to replace belt. Customer service said only alternative is to buy the basic vacuum part for $89, with shipping and tax, $111. I have owned many vacuums which all lasted for more than 10 years. I would donate them in good working condition, when I wanted an updated model. This is the first time I have ever had this problem and having to replace the vacuum for a belt seems Ridiculous. It would be the perfect vacuum if they did not make it cheap. If they made it where the consumer could replace minor parts like the belt, they might sell more. I am very disappointed. I really liked the vacuum until this problem.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I have my Shark Navigator Lift-Away for 2 yrs. I had to call customer service today for a part that broke and I must say on a scale of 1 to 10 I will give them a 10 for being the best service I ever had. Thank you Shark. Oh and by the way, best vac I ever had in the 51 yrs I'm married.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I bought this new vacuum about a year ago and thought I really liked it. Eventually hair got tangled in the wheels on the bottom and on the roller bar. There are 10 screws that need to be removed in order to clean the roller bar. Maybe that wouldn't be so bad but some of them are very deep and are not Philips like the instructions say. They are 6-sided star screws. The amount of time it takes to clean the roller bar is ridiculous. I would not recommend this vacuum.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I purchased Shark Vacuum Navigator Lift Away Professional August 31, 2016. On August 21, 2017 dust cup cracked. Plastic broke off that latch to hold in place attaches to. Had to replace. Only paid shipping. May 29, 2018 plug broke. Had to replace. July 24, 2018 plastic release on handle for attachments broke. I had to replace. Also again dust cup same thing happened; piece broke off and cracked. Had to replace also. I find this vacuum is made with cheap plastic parts and breaks easily. I'm very dissatisfied with vacuum.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I purchased a Shark handheld vacuum cleaner a little over a year ago. Several weeks ago it started losing its suction power. As of this week, it stays on for a second or two and shuts off. I have contacted Shark customer service about this issue several times. Their recommendation is to purchase a new battery for $40, which I feel is ridiculous given that a new one cost $60. The representatives that I have talked to have been unhelpful and the last one was downright condescending and rude.

Original review: July 9, 2018

The two year warranty is over on my vacuum and I called to get a part for my vacuum expecting to pay for it. They only charged me shipping which was only $7. Here I knew my warranty was up and I need a part and was expecting it to be more and they only charged $7 as a courtesy. They had awesome customer service.

Original review: July 4, 2018

Bought my Shark NV681 from Kohl's online in December 2016. Purchased based on reviews in CR and it really was - and still is - a pet hair eradicating machine... but I know I'm on borrowed time. First thing that breaks two weeks into use; part of the plastic on the dust bin cracks off simply bumping against a piece of furniture. This thing is built to "lift away" to be shoved under beds etc. - shouldn't it be a bit tougher? Being as I have two dogs and three cats, I clean the roller, dust bin and filters monthly; coil the cord etc. - I need vac power daily so I take care of my "tools".

Imagine my surprise a few months down the road when my Shark gets caught on a rug, sucks it up tearing out a chunk of fiber. Flip it over and discover that one of the tiny front wheels has broken and the rough edge snagged the rug leading to the fibers winding around the brush roller. Guess what - no replacement for that tiny wheel - lucked out with a trip to a hobby store - a black craft bead was just the right size.

Today while cleaning I hear click/grind noise and surprise - my vacuum which was in an upright position falls forward. No matter what I do the only way I can keep it standing is to lean it forward against a wall. Turn it over and find that the plastic housing of the vac head has cracked at the rear screw points and there's a tear in the hose leading from the vac head up to the dust bin. Mine has a 7 year warranty so I first check the CA site to get a feel for what I may be facing from Customer No Service. I bite the bullet and call for warranty service expecting the worse.

Oddly enough the customer service rep advised me that as a, "one time courtesy" they would send me a replacement vac head gratis but I'd have to pay for shipping ($16). Found it doubly interesting that the rep mentioned that the replacement part will fix the standing problem and the torn hose... except I never mentioned the hose! Bet they're getting a number of similar complaints. Here's another tip - before the customer service rep came on the line I was asked if I'd participate in a short survey at the end of my call. I said "Yes" - wonder if the rep knows when a customer agrees to the survey and bases his/her service on that fact? Will update my review when I receive the "replacement" part.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I purchased a Shark a little over a year ago. A little over a week ago I noticed that the vacuum was no longer picking things up. I started checking everything to find what might be the problem and found that the flexible hose inside the part that runs over the floor had split. A hose inside the vacuum should not be splitting under regular use. Anyway, I call the company about this and they tell me that replacing the hose is not possible but that they will sell me the whole floor piece for $95 plus shipping. This is utterly ridiculous, that hose should NOT be splitting. DO NOT purchase this model and buyer beware if anything goes wrong.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I have had my Shark Professional Lift-Away for almost 3 years now. I loved this vacuum & even purchased one as a gift. Problem is, every time we use it lately, it trips breakers around the house. I have tried plugging other vacuums in to the same outlets & they all work fine. I had an electrician out too & he confirmed it is the vacuum. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Original review: June 6, 2018

I called to purchase a tube adaptor. After talking to a CSR she said she had an accessory that met my need. I gave her my cc info and was happy with that experience. All was well until the purchase information arrived by email, it wasn't at all what I asked for. It was an accessory bag! I called at the next opportunity to cancel the order but was advised that the order had been picked and was on its way, that I should call back when the item arrived. I did that. Shark refunded the accessory price but refused to refund the shipping cost. I am not a happy customer.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I bought the Shark Rocket last April from the Shark website, in March I could smell burning then smoke. Called Shark. They sent a new motor which looked reconditioned. (Scratches, dents, etc.) The other day the second one from just a few months ago buggered. The motor was going fast then slow and I could smell burning. I took the filter off to look, turned it on and actual flames burst out. I completely ** myself. So I'm getting another new one tomorrow and when I asked if it was reconditioned like the other she was shocked and said they do not give reconditioned hoovers. They're new and when I got the one in March I should have called right away but I didn't know. I don't understand why this has happened twice in a year when they are confident enough to give a 5 year warranty. Please note by motor I mean the actual main unit. They don't replace it all unless they need to.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I have had the best experience with Shark customer service. They have helped me replace the parts I need without proof of purchased. I bought my vacuum a year ago and just now starting to have problems with it but the company is sending me a whole new one for shipping cost. I will be a Shark customer for life. The company is great.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I purchased a Shark duo clean cordless vacuum costing £350. It couldn’t cope with a long pile carpet and stopped working every few inches. The vacuum through the brush bar was blocked but it wasn’t, it just wasn’t big enough to cope with the long pile. To cut a very long story short, even though they say they will refund your money if it does not give satisfaction, they are extremely reluctant. You phone up and after waiting to speak to someone for ages you get cut off. When I did get through, as soon as I said I had a product which as not suitable I got cut off at that point several times. Eventually when they speak to you they try every ridiculous excuse to not give you a refund and when that fails they try to get you to buy a different product instead.

To return something they have to email you a label and you then take the parcel to a DPD office and when they get it back it takes 10-14 days to refund your money. I needed a label posting out as my printer has broken. It is now 6 days later and no label. I phoned and they said they will post it again but it takes 3-5 days for it to get to you and with no post on Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday it is going to be another 6 days before it arrives. With the up to 14 days they can take to refund this could be 4 weeks to get my money back.

In comparison I ordered a G-Tech Air Ram K9 and Multi K9 at the same price, the following day after Shark said they would post out the returns label. Sadly this had the same problem as the Shark, but when I phoned them they were very apologetic and helpful. They arranged the courier (same one Shark use) to collect it from my house the next day (it was not costing me anything). They said that once it is scanned by the courier they will authorize my refund which will take 3-4 days (big difference from Shark).

The courier didn’t collect it and when I phoned it seems the return had failed after the lady had exited her screen and she hadn’t noticed. They were very sorry and immediately rearranged it for the day after and because of the inconvenience the (very pleasant lady) authorised the refund of my money immediately, even though it hadn’t been collected yet. It took 3 days following delivery of the G - Tech to get a refund. If they can do it why can’t Shark?

After my label didn’t come I phoned Shark and tried to get them to send the next one out using Special Delivery (next day delivery) from Post Office but they wouldn’t. They were unpleasant, bordering on just plain rude. Initially refused to allow me to speak to a supervisor. Eventually I did but he was just as bad as the customer service person. I asked to speak to someone with more authority but was told there is nobody on those premises. The only way to do it is to get them to email a manager, and in his words “if they decide they want to call you back, it will be about 3 -5days”. I asked for a direct phone number and he said “I don’t have that information”. Obviously either he was refusing to give it to me or they are not allowed to. He was quite arrogant in his manner. All in all dealing with Shark customer services is unpleasant and stressful.

There vacuum itself has good and bad points. I only tried it for about ten mins on normal power and the battery that should last 22 mins ran out. I bought the one with two batteries fortunately. The dirt collection bin is ridiculously small. I could cope with it if everything else was brilliant but there is a maximum fill line and above that there is no side on the container seperating it from the cyclone thing and the hairs etc go over the top and wrap around it. When you empty it you have to get your fingers in to get anything that went over the top and when you tilt it from the upright e.g. to go under the sofa or to use as handheld the dirt can go over the top as well. Also there is a filter at the front near the top and it isn’t like other machines, it is simply a piece of cream colour sponge which after only ten mins of use was filthy, full of loose dust and hairs which fell out when you took the front off to check it.

It pulls itself forward so you don’t have to push which could be good but it’s impossible to clean small or lightweight rugs as it screws them up in the roller. It is very light and easy to maneuver. Its flexi handle is excellent for going under the sofa without bending down to the floor. It has 3 ways to charge and you don’t need to fix it to a wall. In summary, it wouldn’t matter if it was the best machine in the world. I’m still not sure I would buy it because of the bad customer service. I can’t add receipt as all I have is the delivery note. I tried to take photos which seem good but not looking at them on this page. Hopefully you can get the full picture on your screen.

Original review: May 10, 2018

The Shark is lightweight. Suction is great and it's very easy to clean up and dump the bucket. The cost is very reasonable too. It's also easy to use by my entire family.

Original review: May 10, 2018

The Shark Navigator Vacuum has unsurpassed suction power. I would rate it a "5" except that it is slightly awkward to glide around and under furniture and its head is too narrow. Otherwise, this is a superior machine.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I purchased the Shark Rocket # HV302 26 at a retail store on 1/3/2015 and have loved it from day one. However recently I noticed it was not picking up as well as before. Upon examination of the powerhead I found that it had a large crack in the short hose that directs the section from the powerhead to the pipe up to the motor. So now no suction was reaching the floor. I tried to take it apart and could not get the hose out. I then went online to Shark and found no help. So I googled Shark Rockets Complaints and found a number of sites, including one where there were many people with the same complaint. Many of them had the same results that I did when I called. The powerhead is not included in the 5 year warranty, it is a normal wear & tear item??? But they would sell me a replacement for 90.00+ dollars.

I said, "Ridiculous, the whole package only cost $162.73 including sales tax." So he says, "Let me see what I can do," short pause then he offers me, like many other reviews, a 50% discount or $45.00+ and shipping, about $19.00. I told him I would have to think about it because I think it is worthless warranty. He said he was sorry but that all he could do. I said, "I understand, you have to stay with your script of answers." I then told him to hang up so I could say more in the allowed review of my call experience. And surprise surprise I got disconnected like many others. Bottom line, like many other things today, when they work they are great... But when they don't, time to buy a new one. But being handy, I think I can make a patch and keep it going. Wish me luck.

Shark expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Shark is a family business in its third generation of ownership. The company makes a diverse range of household products and appliances.

• Lightweight design: Shark Navigator vacuums have lightweight designs that make cleaning easier.

• Customer reviews: Customer reviews on the Shark website help potential buyers decide which models are right for them.

• Available accessories: There are plenty of accessories that make Shark Navigator vacuums useful for cleaning vehicles, stairs, furniture and hard-to-reach surfaces.

• Customer service: Shark has strong customer services that include a lengthy online FAQ, live chat and Web support.

• VIP Warranties: Buyers can add five-year or lifetime warranties to their orders.

• Best for: Shark's range of vacuum cleaners makes it an attractive option for homeowners, renters and drivers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs