1.48/5

403 Shark Vacuums Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Do not EVER order online from this company. After never receiving my order and going back and forth with the company, I was told they would really. I got the item completely torn up and told they would not refund the shipping. They mailed a piece with a hollow middle with nothing to hold the shape in an envelope. Of course it was flattened. So now I paid shipping for an item I ordered a month ago that I can’t use.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Mere months after purchasing my Shark Apex, the roller brush portion quit working. There is a cover that snaps into place. That was always very finicky, but not the problem this time. The entire floor assembly Kaput. Not covered under warranty. Cost over $100 and took approximately SIX weeks. The first backorder was already spoken for. Yeah. They break that regularly. The part showed up when they said it would. I got to use it EXACTLY one time. One time. Dead again. Same issue. I am livid. I will never buy one of their products again.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I am 73 years old and have owned many vacuums over the years. This Shark which cost $250 is the worst I have ever owned. It is HEAVY! Suction is almost non-existent. Do not waste your money! Stuck with it.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I purchased the Shark NV752 in May 2016. It retails for close to $400, and claims to have a 7-year limited warranty. The warranty information states that it covers defects in workmanship and non-wearable parts. In the exclusion section, it lists several of the "wearable" parts. After 2.5 years, a section of hose that is almost fully encased at the bottom of the vacuum suddenly developed slits, and therefore the vacuum would not suction properly. It is not a "wearable" portion, as it is at the base of the unit, protected by plastic housing, and not the portion of hose that is stretched or handled with use. It appears as though the plastic used in that portion of the hose became hardened and brittle, causing the cracking.

I called Shark, and was told that the only thing "possibly" covered by the warranty is motor failure. If that is the case, it should clearly state that in the warranty information that consumers rely on when evaluating and comparing for purchase. I was told that I could not just replace the hosing, that it required purchasing the entire base (to include the motor) for $119. When I argued that I shouldn't have to pay for a defective part, I was offered 50% off - $60. I paid more for this brand and model of vacuum, trusting that it would function fully, without repairs, for a reasonable period of time. 2.5 years falls short of that expectation by several years.

Every other brand of vacuum that I have ever purchased, at a much lower price point, has lasted a minimum of 5 years without requiring repairs or replacement parts. The part of my vacuum that is defective is but accessible to be replaced on its own, so I have to purchase an entire bottom half (which happens to include the motor). This defect should absolutely be covered by warranty. Their customer service almost seems to be "sales" driven, in pushing for the purchase of the part. So disappointed and frustrated! Definitely feel cheated by this company.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Shark why would you take the LED light off of the Handheld part of the Shark F80 MultiFlex Cordless Stick Vacuum. Honestly, this feature on my old corded Shark Rocket HV324Q. I like the cordless feature of the new Shark vacuum and the suction seems to be powerful enough to get the job done. Quite a lot of my house cleaning would entail detaching the floor nozzle from the wand. When I would do this to clean along baseboards or hard to reach areas I still had the bright LED light to help me to find the dirty places. I miss this feature quite a bit! Too bad something so small that is missing could make such a large impact on the overall enjoyment and usability. Big mistake Shark for such a little feature.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shark?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

After 4 months the power head stopped working. Called for service and offered to replace powerhead for 100+ shipping. When I questioned about 5 year warranty I was told the warranty didn't cover wearable parts. The owner's manual only referred to wearable parts at the filters. No mention was made in owner's manual about not covering powerhead. After I complained they offered 50% off on a new power head. Still not in spirit of warranty. Am buying a Dyson.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Let me start by saying that for 10+ years, I have been a loyal Shark Vacuum cleaner customer. I have purchased several vacuums, not only for myself but also as gifts for family and friends. Not only was the product superior to all others I have owned (including Dyson), but the customer service was second-to-none. I can recall numerous times calling about issues with my vacuums, and was always pleased with the response – and it was usually above and beyond. However, my recent experience with their off-shore customer service call center was not only less than I am accustomed to, but was absolutely insulting. I purchased the Shark Powered Lift-Away Speed DuoClean Vacuum (NV801) on May 12, 2017 at Kohl's. It was on sale for $279.99. I purchased this model because I have both hardwood floors and carpet, and several pets.

The vacuum it was replacing was a Shark Rotator Lift-Away (Model NV502) purchased on July 5, 2015. The DuoClean feature was the main reason for my upgrade – the NV502 was (and still is) running perfectly. I have been very, very pleased with the performance of the NV801 – the Lift-Away and DuoClean features have lived up to expectations. Please note that I have purchased a replacement front brush roller and filters, so I am well aware that “wear items” are not covered under the warranty and am more than willing to pay for them. We also own a Shark SV1106 Navigator Freestyle Cordless Vacuum and recently purchased a new battery.

A couple of weeks ago, the NV801 stopped performing on carpet – the brush rollers were simply not spinning when vacuuming on the carpets. The suction in the hose and on the hard floor option was fine. We proceeded to clean the rollers, filters and checked for blockages – also watched videos from their website and on YouTube in an attempt to fix the problem, to no avail. So, it was time to call customer service – but I was confident – this won’t be a problem – Shark’s customer service is amazing!

It is an understatement that my experience did not live up to my expectations. The first person I spoke with was finally able to diagnose that the problem was the floor nozzle assembly – basically the entire bottom section of the vacuum (everything but the hose/pole, canister and motor) and that it was a “wearable part” and would cost $89 + shipping and handling for the replacement. This was unacceptable! The entire floor vacuum component of the unit is faulty after only 1.5 years of use, and I have to pay for it?? Even with the “courtesy” offer to reduce the cost to $44.72, I still asked to speak to a supervisor. This conversation was on Tuesday, January 8th at approximately 6 PM Eastern time. I was told I would receive a return call in 2-4 hours. No call that night, and when the call was returned the next day (Wednesday, January 9th), it was to my home phone, not my cell phone, and I was at work.

I called back and was abruptly told – “you didn’t answer our call – so you can now wait 24 to 48 hours for a callback." I waited until I arrived home that evening, and called customer service at 5:30 PM Eastern. After insisting to speak to someone – that a 24 to 48 hour call back time was unreasonable, I was connected to a supervisor – who once again stated that there was nothing that could be done. I asked to speak to her manager, and was told no one was available.

After ending that discussion, I called back and after waiting on hold for 40 minutes (it's now 7:50 PM), was connected to the “floor manager”. When I once again explained my disappointment in the service, I received the same response. I have a limited warranty, which I was told I should read (in a very condescending tone) and the floor nozzle is not covered under the warranty. I asked how it was possible that the second most important part of the vacuum (after the motor) was not covered, he actually had the nerve to tell me that the floor nozzle assembly is “not required to use the vacuum”. REALLY??!! Are you kidding me? He proceeded to say the vacuum functions without the floor bar – I could use the hose to do my vacuuming.

I could not believe what I was hearing!! I asked him if he actually saw the infomercials and advertisements – that the main selling feature of the “DuoClean” is the floor capabilities. And this is not a canister vacuum – it’s an upright vacuum sold to clean floors!!! When I asked to be directed to someone who set these policies, I was told there was no one – really??? No one in the Global Headquarters in Needham, MA? He absolutely refused to give me a phone number, email address or to have someone else call me back – he was the final authority. Absolutely outrageous – over 1,200 associates and no one else is responsible for customer service??!! Unbelievable!!!

So, I visited the SharkNinja website at www.sharkninja.com and I was taken back by their Vision & Growth statement: “SharkNinja is a relentless innovator in the housewares industry because we sweat the details. We obsess about consumer satisfaction. We build up our company by building up our people. We seize opportunities—individually and collectively—to be competitive with our products and attract the most talented people in the world. Through an unrelenting focus on solving for consumer’s pain points, SharkNinja has built a loyal and passionate following that continues to garner us 5 star ratings on our products. It’s that unwavering consumer focus that has enabled Shark to become one of the top brands in vacuum cleaners, and for Ninja to become one of the market leaders in the kitchen category.”

I actually laughed when I read that. Clearly, they no longer obsess about customer satisfaction based on their call center’s treatment of customers. After one more set of phone calls and emails, I was told the best they could do was to give me the part for “free”, I just had to pay shipping and handling of $18. I basically gave up – and agreed. I was told the part would be delivered in 3-5 business days. I received a receipt via email, but no tracking information. When the part did not arrive, I emailed and was told the part was on back order – I should receive it in 4-6 WEEKS! Really – and you didn’t know that when I called. Clearly if this part has a 4-6 week back order, there is a quality problem.

It is so, so disappointing that Shark has devolved into just one of many companies who refuse to stand by their products. And by the way, I also found complaints on the Better Business Bureau website, many of which concerned the exact same problem as mine! Clearly, they have a quality problem and are unwilling to take responsibility.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I purchased this vacuum 1/16/2018. The brushroller stopped working on 1/15/2019. I called and talked to the supervisor and their answer was for me to pay $54 for a new part. They were not helpful at all. Not happy!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

About a month ago, my husband purchased a Shark Navigator. The first time I used it, I was amazed!! Then I noticed as the month went on that it was starting to clog behind the roller brush every time I used it. I took it apart accordingly and made sure there were no other clogs in the rest of the hose as well. My house is pretty clean and it's not like I am vacuuming up anything huge. If you vacuum up a little fuzz or just every day vacuuming, it clogs. Doesn't even make it to the dirt cup. We have a 7-month-old Lab and even the tiniest bit of dog hair clogs the vacuum. For the amount paid for it, I expected a better product.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I bought the Shark Navigator Professional Lift-Away. The belt broke, so when we went to replace it, it's like trying to get into Fort Knox. We have to special order screwdrivers that would fit this thing! I'm so disappointed. I will never buy a Shark product again.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I had an issue with my Shark Ion flex unit. The unit was not suctioning properly. Followed the steps on the troubleshooting guide, no luck, called the shark service department, followed the phone instructions, they determined that the issue was with the motor. Since it was less than 6 months old, the tech advised that it needed to be replaced and had to pay $19.95 for shipping. I proceeded to provide my CC info and a return label was supposed to be issued by email, waited a couple days since I didn't receive the label, called again, a new customer service person said that they were having issues with the labels. Called a 3 time and I finally received the label, shipped the unit on December 12th.

However the initial contact was on November 23rd. Today is January 9th, called to find out the status and the customer service said that because I did NOT called to find out the status prior to today that the order had been canceled and I had to pay another $19.95. This is ridiculous and a bad business practice. The lady informed me also that they did not had any units in stock and that it was going to be another 5 to 6 weeks. I will add to the review in 5 weeks to inform of the status.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Purchased Rocket TruePet in 2016 via company direct hotline. Used it about 4 months then it stopped working. Called company and they sent me a whole new vac including the head and accessories. Great...so I thought. Plugged in new vac...it was substantially louder in operation but whatever. Fast forward 2 years and I noticed the flexible corrugated pickup tube on the vac head was halfway severed. Called company directly and they stated that the vac head is not covered under warranty but they would give me 50% off a new vac head totaling $50 not including shipping. For the amount of money I spent originally adding $50 to replace the head seemed a bit unfair as they claim to have a "LIMITED lifetime Warranty". I guess we know what "Limited" entails now! Would NEVER purchase from Shark again. Buyer Beware!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Third time using my Apex Shark vacuum the front roller stopped working and it started making a horrendous squealing noise. I called Shark and they said I had to pay to have it fixed because the warranty only covers the motor? If you buy an Apex Shark vacuum hope that it doesn't malfunction or you'll be stuck with a paperweight unless you want to pay for it twice.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

We purchased a Shark Navigator in 2014, within a few months the power nozzle stopped working. I called about it I was told I had to purchase this piece because it was not covered under the 5 year warranty that Shark brags about. I did buy this piece at that time. The following year we had to replace the canister and hose, the canister fell apart and the hose developed several holes in it. Now the power nozzle has stopped working again, I called and I was told that I would have to pay for this piece again. I tried to talk to two different people and explain I shouldnt need to pay AGAIN for the same piece that failed previously, I was told that I couldnt be help. One of the customer service people (Robert) hung up on me and the next time I called the female customer service rep would not let me talk to a supervisor. SHARK VACUUMS ARE JUNK... I will never buy another one... BUYER BEWARE. THE WARRANTY DOESNT MEAN A THING!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

We enjoyed this vac but in turbo mode. It stopped working after 11 months. So sent it back to Very. They refunded straight away and we purchased a new one as when it worked it was very good. This one has lasted only 26 days with same problem so it’s going back and we need to purchase something else. Anyone got recommendations?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Several years ago, we replaced our vacuum with a Shark Lift-Away Navigator and it was fantastic for the first year. Fortunately, before the warranty ended, our vacuum would not turn on and Shark replaced it. That vacuum is still working, thankfully. Shark products are phenomenal within the first year but with each of our Shark products (vacuum, hand-held vac, and professional floor steam cleaner) after the warranty expires, the products also either expire or they don't work properly. This is the case with our steam cleaner. I loved this product until it failed to produce steam. I called Shark and also contacted the company through Facebook and they refused to replace the cleaner because the warranty expired. Instead, they offer me a discount on a new steam mop. The hand-held vac runs but the dog hair remover attachment also stopped working. I'm "underwhelmed" by the products' durability and the company's return policy.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I bought the hand vac to clean furniture, hard to reach places. I can't even finish two cushions on the sofa without the vac shutting off because it is overheating and it takes at least 45 minutes to an hour to cool down. I will never waste money on a Shark product again.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Despite excellent customer service and warranty processes in the past SHARK now claims that their advertised warranties are only for customers purchasing directly from Shark contrary to the language in the included documentation and on their website which states "The Five (5) Year Limited Warranty applies to purchases made from authorized retailers of SharkNinja Operating LLC". In my case the brush head stopped turning although the remainder of the unit works correctly and Shark concluded the brush assembly was defective through their own troubleshooting processes. They would only offer me a discount on the purchase of a replacement assembly.

I had the brush assembly and attaching hose replaced on my last Shark vacuum without incident but was assured the warranty had since changed. This supposed change is not reflected in the paperwork on this 6 month old vacuum nor their own website. Upon further investigation this tactic has been well documented through complaints to the BBB and Consumer Affairs. Given my experience and findings I can no longer recommend Shark products.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Terrible Customer Service! Purchased the blue lift away three years ago with five year warranty. Recently quit working. Brush quit working, grinding and black soot from motor. Contacted Customer Service, three orders later and many Shark customer Reps later, all these promises were given, but never honored and I still have no vacuum or a shipment of one! I was told today, for the third time, that a new vacuum will ship. They haven’t stood behind their own warranty, as of yet. I haven’t had my vacuum in over a month. We have had family here for the holidays, we have animals, small kids and a secondary carpet is growing over the real carpet.

This has been a nightmare to get parts, get a replacement or a new vacuum. I shipped my vacuum back after requesting twice. First time I was denied and they would ship parts that I had to pay for plus shipping. They never shipped. I requested to send it back again and they finally provided me a label. I shipped it back, it was delivered. I was suppose to get a confirmation when they received my vacuum, no confirmation ever came. Had to call again today, they finally accepted my old vacuum for repair or replacement. They never entered it as received and in turn, a new order for a vacuum was canceled. A new order was put in today. I wrote to them via Facebook messenger and by commenting on their posts. No response so far. We will see!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I have owned Shark Vacuums in the past. I have also owned two Dysons. We have a big family and two dogs, so LOTS of vacuuming goes on at our house! Anyway, I have always loved my Shark Vacuums and they consistently outperformed and lasted longer than my Dysons. I told my husband, “why spend the money on a Dyson, when a Shark is SO much better” However, a few months ago, we purchased a Shark DuoClean and loved the promises behind it. (Deep cleaning with double roller bars). We bought it at Target. Within three weeks, the bars quit working and although we could get it going for a little bit, but it quickly cut out. We returned it to Target and decided to give it another go. Awful, this time the vacuum broke down within 10 days. We returned it again. So sad, I used to love the quality of the Shark.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I bought the Shark DuoClean Lift-Away 6 months ago. Small front roller brush quit working. Large roller makes a horrible noise. I am really disappointed at calling Shark and like everyone else on here they do not want their product. Same song and dance about half off roller assembly which will likely break in 3 months again. You pay over $300 for a vacuum and expect it to last a little longer. Biggest piece of junk ever. Never again shark. Will be filling a consumer complaint with the attorney general and BBB. Sickening. Here's a clue shark... if the replacement part is on backorder for the past several months for 4-6 weeks, you've got Problem. HONOR YOUR PRODUCT.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I bought a Shark ION in March of 2018 and thought it was the bomb until...uh...4 months later it started shutting itself off with a fully charged battery. I went thru all the maintenance procedures but nothing changed. I called Shark and they sent me a replacement two months ago. One month later...same issues. I loved the thing when it was working but it just don't work now do it. Looking for a new vac now and as a guy who works with power tools daily, I want a tool that works.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I purchased a Shark vacuum in the summer of 2017. I was not displeased with the performance of the vacuum itself. However when the product stopped working and literally would not turn on, I called customer service. My purchase included a full seven year replacement warranty. My experience has gone as follow; First phone call, the CSR couldn’t find my information under my phone or email address. I provided a second email address and he was able to find my info. Although I told the rep that my unit would not turn on, he asked me what kind of sound the motor was making and what color was the light, was it green or was it red.

Finally he did say that they would take the unit back and replace it, however I never received the email he said he sent that would include shipping label for the return of my unit, although he did receive the 19.95 I had to pay for the return shipping. I requested a confirmation number and was put on hold and after approximately 15 minutes I was hung up on.

Second phone call, the CSR couldn’t find my information under the second email address I had given the first CSR. But found it under the first email address I gave the previous CSR. Consequently put me on hold after 20 minutes and I was hung up on. Third CSR was a little bit better but after I requested a confirmation number was hung up on after a lengthy 15 or 20 minutes on hold.

All three of the CSRs requested my email address which I painstakingly spelled out for them many times, yet I never received an email from any of them. If you go to the website there is no contact number for customer service or any kind of support that will help you out. Any time I’ve called, my call was picked up by a CSR and there are so many voices in the background it is hard to hear the CSR you are speaking with. I’m not done with this thing, I spent good money for this vacuum with a warranty. Wish me luck.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

We purchased this vacuum in May 2018. Warranty is awful and powerhead is poorly made. We have several cats and dogs and noticed that the despite cleaning the accumulation of hair on the vacuum head that the vacuum pushes dirt around. We noticed the roller was not spinning. We gently took the roller off to clean and noticed that one of the circular pieces that hold the roller on to the assembly had crumbled. We contacted the company and after a song and dance about how even though it wasn't a year old and was still under warranty, we would have to pay for an entire powerhead as it was not covered under warranty and was subjected to wear and tear. The price was 99.00$ with shipping, they would waive shipping and sell us it to us at 50% $42.77. Prior to this we had a Dyson and they replaced the entire powerhead.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Mid-September we purchased the IONFlex 2X directly from Shark's website and it was delivered a little over a week later. We tried the vacuum once and were highly dissatisfied with the product's quality and performance. The two fully charged batteries barely lasted 10 minutes each regular speed on a mix of carpet and vinyl floors. Not even enough time to clean our small 1000 sq ft home. It also overheated and kept shutting itself down. We didn't pay $400/$500 for something that can only be used as a handvac. The advertisements all claimed whole house cleaning without the cord. Per the 60 Day Money Back Guarantee, we returned it via USPS, paying postage ourselves. There was no damage to the vacuum, having only used it once. We boxed it in the original vacuum box with all its accessories (none of which were used), as well as included the emailed receipt and the list of reasons for the return.

The return was confirmed as received by Shark. We've been calling and emailing Customer Service about our refund. We were told by Customer Service it takes 7-10 business to process. It's been 30 business days since the return was received by Shark and we still have no refund. Credit Memos emailed to us much later than their posted dates show a credit value applied to an original order and total amount refunded as $0. There is no original order or remaining balance that a credit should be applied to. We already paid for the vacuum.

We've been told we'd be contacted by the Escalation department within 3-4 business days. It's been 16 business days and we still haven't heard from the Escalation department. All continued contact with Customer Service has been the same runaround - be patient, the refund has been issued, wait to hear from the Escalation department. We filed a complaint with the credit card but we aren't shown SharkNinja's response. Only that the credit card has 8 more business days to review. So we filed a complaint with the BBB today. 30 business days is long enough and we want our refund. We own a Shark Rocket Pet that works great but we'll never buy another product direct from the SharkNinja company ever again. They don't honor their own 60 Day Money Back Guarantee.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have a Shark rotator vacuum. I had it for a few years now and within the 1st year the motor stopped working and I called Shark and they sent me the new part that was working but now the button on the wand broke off. I have called the Shark customer service and paid for them to send the new wand because the lady told me they don't sell the button by itself. So I went ahead and purchase what I thought was the wand and a few days pass and I receive the hose and the handle a completely different part than the one I was calling for.

Keep in mind I had to pay like $7 for shipping so I called them and I told them they shipped me the wrong part. I never mention nothing about a hose. I need the wand so the girl told me, "Ok you need to ship that part we sent you back". (I have to pay to shipping to them). The lady told me she would sent me an email to the address to send it to. Fast forward 2 days later I called again. I never receive no emails and I made sure they had the correct on even spelling it out and now this lady tells me they do not sent emails with pre pay label. I have to send it back if I want my money back and then call them again to ask for my money. Bottom line is I will never purchase a Shark product again. They do not know what they're doing. One says one thing. Other says a different thing and here I am $80 less and no working machine.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Rubber gasket fell out from canister/container when lower lid was opened to empty collected debris. Didn't realize gasket has fallen out until today when less suction was noticed. Called Manufacturer, they don't sell or make or provide gaskets. Their only remedy was for me to buy another canister because they don't have gaskets to provide. THIS IS SO ABSURD!!! I regret owning this vacuum when got can't replace a gasket! To me, it's more about this company dipping their hands into your hard earned money. Incomprehensible!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

The gentleman I spoke with at Shark was kind, but the warranty for a the Shark product is very poor. I purchased a Shark Rotator in 1/2017 because they stated on QVC that it was a great product for pet hair, and it was for the first few months. About four months in it started not picking up the pet hair anymore but sweeping it into a pile and backing up into the beater bar. I finally had a chance to call Shark today, and they told me that they would have to replace the beater bar unit and they would only charge me $95.00. When I explained that this item should work longer than 11 months when you spend over $400, he offered to give me a 50% discount. REALLY!!! If I am going to pay that kind of money for an item it better last more than one year, or they better replace it for free. I will not be purchasing another Shark item and I will be letting people know about my experience with Shark.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

If anyone is shopping for a new vacuum cleaner, based on my recent experience with Shark, I would NOT recommend them. ONE OF THE WORST! I should have gone with my gut and stuck with Dyson. Shark sent the wrong cleaner (after spending over an hour on the phone trying to decide the best cleaner to fit my needs). Called 3 different times to let them know I received the wrong cleaner. Long story short, after 5 days of calling, still wasn't resolved. Sent it back, hoping I get a refund... Dyson came through in a pinch... Getting it Friday. :D

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Hate this vacuum cleaner. This vacuum is heavy, will not stand by itself. Very very annoying. I have tried since April 2018 to like this product, I am now trying to sell it for a cheap price, will never buy another Shark product.

Shark Vacuums Company Information