2.56/5
Based on 25 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

54 Oreck Vacuums Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I bought a Hoover FloorMate for $160 in April 2017, which was used only a handful of times. On the most recent occasion that I attempted to use it in July 2018, it no longer worked. Having had such little use of such an expensive machine, I took my Hoover FloorMate to the Oreck storefront on Polaris Parkway for assistance. The representative at Oreck accepted my defective machine, and set my mind at ease, stating that 95% of his customers receive a new unit as replacement.

As time passed and I hadn’t received a status update from the Oreck representative, I emailed Oreck support on July 31, 2018 for assistance and was told that a replacement order was never submitted, thus the order had been “flagged as abandoned due to inactivity." Oreck provided a replacement with a lesser model, the Oreck FK40100 Surface Scrub, stating it was a similar model given to me as they were denying my warranty claim.

I did attempt to use this replacement model to clean my hardwood floors and was very disappointed with the results. The result using the Oreck FK40100 Surface Scrub pales in comparison to the Hoover FloorMate, my original purchase. I emailed Oreck support again to request that my Hoover machine be returned to me so that I may attempt to fix it personally, but was told they had disposed of my unit. I find this to be unacceptable and am requesting assistance to resolve this matter. The only acceptable solution, in my opinion, is to be provided with a new replacement model of my originally purchased Hoover FloorMate.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I think that the Oreck personnel are trained to convince you to buy an "upgrade" and that the repair promise is a joke. I brought in a carpet shampoo device to the local Oreck dealer where I purchased it. The very prickly person managing the store IMMEDIATELY started on the worst case scenario. But first, she had to plug in the hose used to clean the couch and she didn't even know where to plug it in. "Well, I have NEVER seen one of these units because we discontinued this style..." (I have owned the machine for four years. I purchased it NEW!) I showed her how to put the hose on. Then, she plugged it in and sadly said that, "The motor is loud, it will probably have to be replaced and this model is discontinued..." I reminded her that it is loud because there is no detergent or water in the tank.

The cleaner has always been that loud. (All Oreck machines sound like a Boeing 707 taking off.) She sadly shook her head and looked skeptical. I heard that the technician would not be in until the end of the week and that there were "vacuum cleaners of all kinds" ahead of my order waiting to be repaired. I hauled it back into my car, went to a mom and pop vacuum repair shop. In spite of the fact that they are reluctant to repair Oreck machines (This is a family consumer site, so I cannot type their exact adjectives that they used to describe Oreck) they showed me where the clear tubing from the water tank and detergent canister had been pinched and was blocking the flow of water. He fixed it in three minutes.

One of my friends had pulled the cord loose from the vacuum cleaner. All that needed to be done was put a new cord on or reattach the old one. Same experience... She was told that "the model was discontinued and that there were no parts." No electric wall cord? "The repairman will be in at the end of the week, but he is very backed up. I don't think that this is fixable." My friend took it to an appliance repair shop and they also fixed it in five minutes. Run, don't walk away from Oreck. As soon as my current machines, both vacuum cleaner and carpet shampooer, wears out (won't be long, judging by how poor the workmanship is) I will purchase something else for less money and better service.

Get expert buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I bought an Oreck floor scrubber which quit working after less than a dozen uses and when I returned to store I was told it would be fixed and returned in a week to two. Then the nightmare began, the guy who fixes is gone , waiting on new guy, can't get parts, they're on their way, no parts, discontinued so we'll send a new one, then back and forth on all these stories. No returned calls half the time and more lies. I wouldn't get anything from these people if it was free. Now it's out of warranty and next time I'll have to throw it out. I want a refund but they won't. Do not buy from this company, they don't stand behind their product.

Original review: June 4, 2018

When I started purchasing Oreck vacuum cleaners it was because of the "free" service for 10 years. I was told when I purchase my last machine a couple of years ago that the store that I would usually go to was closing but they were going to open another store in the "galleria mall" or close by in Cheektowaga. Well that was two years ago. AND still nothing and the reply I just received was in fact...it's a "no go" for a new store that I would have to go to Hamburg??? Really??? Now I have to PAY for any service through a company closer to my home. THAT'S BS!!!

Original review: March 1, 2018

Bought my Oreck Upright in 1979 AND it is still running strong. It's a keeper in my book. Super efficient on wood floors, tile, and carpet.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Oreck Vacuums?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

We loved the simple design and efficiency of this product. It is lightweight and easy to maintain. But, it's an ugly 'Betty', no doubt about that. Don't waste your time with the other vendors.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

The Oreck Halo is not a good value, it's utterly too expensive (& too big & heavy) for its performance. The handle has broken on it numerous times because it is too heavy & difficult to maneuver. I would never buy one again. I gave it to my daughters to use at college; they disliked it as well. Would have been better off just buying them a new inexpensive (on sale) vacuum at a dept store - which would have performed just as well.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Low weight helps maneuverability; as does long power cord. But only has average suction. Not at all powerful suction when cleaning bare floors. Does not have good vibration/suction process on carpet to effectively dislodge and vacuum up dirt/debris. Manufacturing quality leaves much room for improvement. Single screw securing handle to lower section easily comes loose, requiring frequent tightening. Cheap looking. Would not purchase again.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Excellent cleaning power and ability from a super lightweight cordless vacuum. The battery lasts long and charges up super-fast. It is easy to empty and change the filter. It picks up pet hair much better than my full-size more expensive vacuum.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

It's the best vacuum cleaner I have ever used. I've had it for 8 years and have NEVER had an issue. Change bag when needed and have replaced the belt only once. I love it!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Oreck has good sucking power but the paper bags tend to disconnect and create a mess. It is a heavy duty machine so it is on the weighty side to carry around.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I have osteoarthritis in my back and vacuuming is really stressful. The Oreck is lightweight and cleans well, plus it bothers my back less than a heavier brand.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Very lightweight with the an aggressive motor. Great warranty but has fewer locations to get service. Oreck vacuums are known for their lightweight and relatively small size which makes it easy to handle for my wife (primary reason we bought this brand and model).

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I read every single negative thing written about Oreck Vacuums, I was homeless not long ago and with help got my own apt and a puppy. I started to notice at least 3 times a week a vacuum by the dumpster for trash. I decided to bring one home and fix it. I gave it to my neighbor. 3 years later and over 100 vacuums rescued fixed and given away, never once did I find an Oreck. I saw one at a thrift store for 20 dollars I bought it. It was the best vacuum I had ever used. I fell in love. It’s simple. It’s efficient. It’s lightweight and cleans my carpets well. That said I am now on my third Oreck because the other two had the motor burn out or the belts melt.

Now I could never afford a new Oreck and everything will fail if not taken care of. My latest one I’ve had three years. I built it from all the pieces of the old ones. I clean it every week and tighten the screws weekly and change the belt every 6 months. Oreck is a wonderful expensive delicate vacuum. But treat it right and you’ll own it forever. I only hope one day I can buy a brand new one.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Bought an Oreck 15 years ago because I had 3 dogs and rugs and a lot of hair to clean up. And the advertisement was catchy. Their little handheld vacuum could pick up a bowling ball! Which, PS it DID NOT!!!! Always had a problem with it. I bought an Oreck because they were "highly recommended". Now, 20 years later, I work in an office which has an Oreck. Same story. The dust that comes out of the bag (which by the way, never stays connected to the hose). Same problem I had with mine. For the money, a very BAD DEAL!!! I cannot recommend another vacuum, as I do not have rugs anymore. I sweep and mop now! But recommend you do research because I know there are other vacuums out there that are a LOT CHEAPER and do a BETTER JOB!!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Called Oreck corporate office, they said since I serviced a Dyson vacuum they cannot do anything in the matter. How come they gave me repair bill under my Oreck stores? Strange & fishy. I already written to channel 11 let see their response. Folks beware of this ripoff store. I was ripped off by the Oreck store on FM 1960 & champions in Houston Texas. Based upon a free coupon I took my Dyson vacuum for servicing, the tech there said I needed a filter to be replaced which he quoted $ 49.99, I agreed, when I went to pick up the vacuum they charged me $ 79.99 saying the earlier price quoted was an error. I checked online & got a price of $ 20.39 for both the filters of the vacuum, please beware of this shop & the bunch of unprofessional people. They will rip you off.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Ironman handheld vacuum that Oreck is no longer making. Bags are supposed to fit in their new vacuum that replaces Ironman - so we were told by Oreck store salesman. Vacuuming small area and bag completely blew apart inside the machine while vacuum was on, spewing debris through the rear fins of the vacuum and throughout the room. Bigger mess cleaning up Oreck mess than the actual mess I was vacuuming up. So NOT impressed with their bags.

Original review: July 29, 2017

I purchased a $400 upright Oreck vacuum cleaner. It was a bagless upright model, the BU 10000, having a filter that supposedly only had to be rinsed and then reused. After using the vacuum cleaner for only a few months, it overheated and would turn itself off. It would not work again unless I replaced the supposedly rinseable filter with a new filter. No amt. of "rinsing" would make the filter function. Clearly, the filters were not rinseable, but had to be replaced, a difficult process to say the least. To make matters impossible, Oreck, realizing there was a problem, discontinued both the vacuum AND the filters, leaving me with an almost new vacuum that could not be used. It would not turn on without a new filter, now unavailable.

When I contacted Oreck, they offered to replace the cleaner with a comparable vacuum. What they sent was a cheap piece of garbage, that was not even worth the postage to send it. The piece of junk they sent DID NOT EVEN HAVE A HOSE - no way to clean in corners or under cushions, etc. It had no attachments, was hard and clunky to use, and the unadjustable brush scratched my hardwood floors, clearly not adjustable for different surfaces, and had very poor suction. The $400 vacuum I purchased had tools, was adjustable for different surfaces, had a hose, and was easily maneuverable, with good suction. The Oreck co. is a fraudulent sham of a co., that sells defective vacuums, steals consumers money, and thinks customers are stupid. Do not do business with this co., ever.

Original review: July 29, 2017

Mine is great, where I had it served after 6-8 years. Told me that the UPDATED version was breaking down & clogging easily. I want another one for my Ohio house. Won't buy the UPDATED one. Now what do I do??

Original review: April 11, 2017

Oreck really is a joke! I received a vacuum for Christmas and started having problems with the brush motor the next year. I called in to customer care and explained that I didn't have a receipt. I was told after reading off the serial number that my vacuum was still under warranty and to take it to a local Oreck vendor. Weeks later I was told that they no longer carried the motor for my model??? I went back to the local vendor to find that now the main motor was making a funny noise and the associate had the nerve to say, "That shows you how much I know." I was told by customer care that I could get a replacement vacuum for an additional cost??? Then told by the local vendor that since I didn't have a receipt he would Not do anything for me. I called customer care back and asked for a manager to call me several times and Nobody ever returned my call. Oreck Is A Joke and I can't believe they treat their customers with such disrespect.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

Oreck is a JOKE and will not honor their warranties! I bought an Oreck bagless upright vacuum two years ago. Since then this vacuum has been discontinued due to multiple problems. They claim it has a five year warranty. The motor on mine sparks when you run it. I took it to an authorized dealer and they sent it Oreck. My claim has been denied due to no longer making the vacuum and having any motors to fix it with. They will not replace the vacuum since I did not buy it from an "authorized retailer." My problem is...it is a genuine Oreck vacuum that has been maintained very well.

Who cares who I bought it from. It was brand new still in the box and I assembled it. If you buy a Ruger gun and something goes wrong they pay for shipping and handling both ways, fix your gun free of charge. If you buy a Shark vacuum and have a problem with it they replace it free of charge no questions asked. This vacuum was a flop to begin with. If this was a reputable company they should replace it for the consumer. I did not pay almost 300.00 for a company to refuse to honor the warranty. Yes I do have the receipt with original date of purchase.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2016

Do not waste your time dealing with this company. I purchased a Miele upright vacuum for over $500 from a local dealer. After several trips taking it back for various reasons, it still doesn't work and since it's out of warranty, they want to charge me $150 to fix it. There are several other machines out there for much less that will do a much better job!

Original review: July 24, 2015

Oreck Magnesium - Black rubber bumper left black scuff marks on my white baseboards. New corporate ownership could not have cared less. Cannot recommend this product. Note newer models now have a white bumper! Replaced Oreck with a Dyson, and am happy with it.

Original review: March 10, 2015

Oreck XL auto vacuum. The filter is torn. I emailed Oreck and was told they do not carry a replacement filter. They still sell this product and it's also sold on Amazon. All I requested was a part number to purchase a new filter. It's no more than a paper type dust bag. Later customer service told me to go to a Oreck dealer as this model is discontinued, but the Oreck site still sells this model. It's only a year old. My email to Oreck was why sell a product when you can't buy a Filter Dust Bag?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2013

Oreck XL Silver Vacuum - I purchased this item online direct from Oreck. I used the item for one year, at which time I observed that the original bag was not even half full. I took the item to an Oreck service center for an annual servicing and was told the vacuum was working as designed. After reviewing a recommendation from Consumer Reports re: the Bissell Helix vacuum, I bought one and was amazed how much dust it sucked from the carpets. After one cleaning it almost filled up dust collector. I would never recommend the Oreck vacuum. It is a useless piece of equipment. Also the Bissell vacuum was less expensive than the Oreck.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2010

I purchased the Oreck Platinum XL with a special 20% discount offer. My order form stated $508.75, but my credit card was charged $635.95. Oreck customer service stated the 20% was not credited and they would credit my account . After waiting the 10 days, this credit is still not being handled by Oreck.

This complaint is not so much about the credit due as it is how this company handles their business. The customer service agent stated that she was about as far as I was going to get with my complaint and would not supply the name of any manager. Beware of this company. They are quick to take your money and slow to refund. If you return the vacuum, a refund will take 30 days.

Original review: April 19, 2010

Own an Oreck vacuum cleaner, will never buy another one. The docking station for the bag does not stay on the vacuum. Bag comes off inside and then dirt is all inside the docking station. Don't waste your time telling the customer service they just want you to purchase another one. Please save your money and buy some other vacuum cleaner.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2010

My wife purchased an Oreck XL Vacuum. At first it seemed to perform well, but after about one year it began to fall apart. It is mainly built from cheap plastic, and has no wheels. So, the sled it slides on is made to wear out. You can only get bags and belts at the Oreck store or by ordering them. I would not tell anyone to buy this garbage.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2009

I ordered a new commercial vacuum from Oreck. They didn't tell me that I couldn't find any vac. belts for it. This is not right. The people at the Oreck store told me that they didn't know when or where I could find any. The lady at the Oreck store has lost four families' business. I own a janitorial company and I was trying out the Oreck commercial vac. It works great except it burns the belts up so fast. So I thought that you should know that you have a very upset customer. I don't know if I will ever buy another Oreck vac. Thank you.

Original review: March 24, 2009

I bought an Oreck Air Purifier and Oreck Vacuum in November 2008 while attending a trade show. I received the Air Purifier in a timely fashion, but did not receive the vacuum as promised. I was then told the model I ordered was discontinued and that it could be replaced at a higher cost, with a new version of the original. I didn't think the value was good, so I cancelled the vacuum order all together. Oreck STILL shipped the item anyway in January 2009 and debited my bank account for the total amount.

I called customer service to complain and to return the unwanted item, and they agreed to send a call tag for the return of the vacuum and agreed to credit my account for the amount charged. The call tag came within a week and the item was shipped back to Oreck. It is now March 24, 2009 and I still have NOT received my refund for the charge against my bank account, and Oreck seems to have conveniently LOST all of my ordering information so they are claiming they cannot give me my refund. I have been back and forth in emails with excuse after excuse, and no one cares to help me with this matter and nothing has been resolved. Anyone who orders and returns merchandise should be given a prompt refund as a company promises without having to go through this kind of aggravation to get a refund.

Oreck Vacuums expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Oreck is an American vacuum manufacturer founded in 1923. It currently manufactures products in China and finishes most assemblies in the U.S.

• Retail stores: Oreck sells many of its vacuums through local retail stores so consumers can inspect them before buying.

• Online sales: A secure, convenient e-commerce site lets consumers purchase vacuums online if they prefer.

• Free shipping: Vacuums sold on the Oreck website include free standard shipping.

• Affordable prices: Most Oreck vacuums cost between 250 and 500 dollars.

• Customer service: Oreck offers diverse customer service options that include Live Chat and a call center.

• Best for: Oreck makes affordable vacuum cleaners for homeowners, landlords and renters.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

TN
(800) 219-2044
www.oreck.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business