Oreck Vacuums

Compare Vacuums

Research top Vacuums recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Oreck Magnesium - Black rubber bumper left black scuff marks on my white baseboards. New corporate ownership could not have cared less. Cannot recommend this product. Note newer models now have a white bumper! Replaced Oreck with a Dyson, and am happy with it.

Oreck XL auto vacuum. The filter is torn. I emailed Oreck and was told they do not carry a replacement filter. They still sell this product and it's also sold on Amazon. All I requested was a part number to purchase a new filter. It's no more than a paper type dust bag. Later customer service told me to go to a Oreck dealer as this model is discontinued, but the Oreck site still sells this model. It's only a year old. My email to Oreck was why sell a product when you can't buy a Filter Dust Bag?

Oreck XL Silver Vacuum - I purchased this item online direct from Oreck. I used the item for one year, at which time I observed that the original bag was not even half full. I took the item to an Oreck service center for an annual servicing and was told the vacuum was working as designed. After reviewing a recommendation from Consumer Reports re: the Bissell Helix vacuum, I bought one and was amazed how much dust it sucked from the carpets. After one cleaning it almost filled up dust collector. I would never recommend the Oreck vacuum. It is a useless piece of equipment. Also the Bissell vacuum was less expensive than the Oreck.

I purchased the Oreck Platinum XL with a special 20% discount offer. My order form stated $508.75, but my credit card was charged $635.95. Oreck customer service stated the 20% was not credited and they would credit my account . After waiting the 10 days, this credit is still not being handled by Oreck.

This complaint is not so much about the credit due as it is how this company handles their business. The customer service agent stated that she was about as far as I was going to get with my complaint and would not supply the name of any manager. Beware of this company. They are quick to take your money and slow to refund. If you return the vacuum, a refund will take 30 days.

Own an Oreck vacuum cleaner, will never buy another one. The docking station for the bag does not stay on the vacuum. Bag comes off inside and then dirt is all inside the docking station. Don't waste your time telling the customer service they just want you to purchase another one. Please save your money and buy some other vacuum cleaner.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Oreck Vacuums?

My wife purchased an Oreck XL Vacuum. At first it seemed to perform well, but after about one year it began to fall apart. It is mainly built from cheap plastic, and has no wheels. So, the sled it slides on is made to wear out. You can only get bags and belts at the Oreck store or by ordering them. I would not tell anyone to buy this garbage.

I ordered a new commercial vacuum from Oreck. They didn't tell me that I couldn't find any vac. belts for it. This is not right. The people at the Oreck store told me that they didn't know when or where I could find any. The lady at the Oreck store has lost four families' business. I own a janitorial company and I was trying out the Oreck commercial vac. It works great except it burns the belts up so fast. So I thought that you should know that you have a very upset customer. I don't know if I will ever buy another Oreck vac. Thank you.

I bought an Oreck Air Purifier and Oreck Vacuum in November 2008 while attending a trade show. I received the Air Purifier in a timely fashion, but did not receive the vacuum as promised. I was then told the model I ordered was discontinued and that it could be replaced at a higher cost, with a new version of the original. I didn't think the value was good, so I cancelled the vacuum order all together. Oreck STILL shipped the item anyway in January 2009 and debited my bank account for the total amount.

I called customer service to complain and to return the unwanted item, and they agreed to send a call tag for the return of the vacuum and agreed to credit my account for the amount charged. The call tag came within a week and the item was shipped back to Oreck. It is now March 24, 2009 and I still have NOT received my refund for the charge against my bank account, and Oreck seems to have conveniently LOST all of my ordering information so they are claiming they cannot give me my refund. I have been back and forth in emails with excuse after excuse, and no one cares to help me with this matter and nothing has been resolved. Anyone who orders and returns merchandise should be given a prompt refund as a company promises without having to go through this kind of aggravation to get a refund.

I just want to say that I think it's funny that people that have a problem always make their voices heard but people that are pleased don't. I want to change that. I purchased my first Oreck vac in 1999 and still have the original machine. I don't use it as a shop vac but as a vacuum cleaner. I don't pick up toys or screws or leftover dinner and it has NEVER let me down. I also own the Orbiter and 4 Air Purifiers. If you follow the directions and take care of these machines the way that they are supposed to be taken care of, you will be very pleased. I think it's funny that there are people that think that you never have to do anything to maintain a machine and yet when it breaks, somehow it's the machine's fault. Must be like prison, everyone inside is innocent.

Over the past many years, I have been thoroughly pleased with the Oreck vacuum products and would like to give you a chance to answer my problems with my Oreck XL21 vacuum cleaner. I have used Oreck vacuum cleaners in my professional offices with complete satisfaction for as long as I can remember. The Oreck vacuum cleaners have been a staple also in my homes over the past many years. About 2 1/2 years ago, we purchased an Oreck XL 21 vacuum cleaner for our home at ORECK CLEAN HOME CENTER, 151 W. MINERAL SUITE #113 LITTLETON, CO 80120 to replace an older Oreck model and on the flat carpets we had, it worked perfectly; also on the wood flooring.

This past summer, we replaced our flat carpets throughout the house with shag carpeting and our satisfaction immediately and completely ceased. The effortless and easy self-propelling/gliding XL21 over the shag carpeting immediately turned into a terrible chore. With my wife and I, both having the beginnings of arthritis in our arms and wrists, it was almost impossible to push the Oreck XL21 across the shag carpet.

I took the vacuum back to my Oreck store and was told, "We are having many complaints of the same problem since shag carpets have become popular. Our solution is to take out several tufts from the roller so the vacuum cleaner doesn't drag across the carpet. (?)" We had that procedure done, without much improvement, if any at all. So, we brought our XL21 back to the store and were told, "Let's take out more tufts. Oreck is coming out with a solution to attach to the bottom of the vacuum sometime soon which will stop this problem."

Thus, we had more tufts removed, which decreased the efficiency of the vacuum and did not rectify the original problem. A month later, we picked up the new part (?) to attach to the bottom of the vacuum which was supposed to rectify the shag rug problem. This plastic shim raised the vacuum and roller slightly from the surface of the carpet and basically slid the vacuum across the shag carpet... literally eliminating any cleaning efficiency by either the vacuum suction or the beating of the carpet by the roller tufts... even when we bought a new roller for $39.95.

On this date, I went back to the Oreck store for replacement bags (CCPK80F); $39.99 plus tax for 8 bags... for a vacuum cleaner that does not work as advertised. This is kind of sick since I can go online and purchase the exact same bags for $28.95; and the roller for $29.95. While I was at the Oreck store, I brought up the original problem of the XL21 not working on shag carpet and was told, "The only way you can solve this problem is to purchase another Oreck (which was demonstrated to me) which was made specifically to address this problem. But, if you have wood floors (which we still have), this new Oreck will not work on bare floors or non-shag carpets so you will need 2 vacuums, one for the shag carpet and one for the regular carpet (which we still have in the basement) and your wood floors." Is this your new bait and switch scam?

As you can tell, I am completely dissatisfied with the function of the XL21 product, the so-called solutions to solve the problem which now include the salesperson's pitch to sell another vacuum cleaner, and the exorbitant pricing of replacement parts and vacuum bags, which I can find cheaper. If I cannot get a response that will satisfactorily clear up my existing problems as stated in this letter, I will no longer be an Oreck customer and will look forward to seeing my complaint aired over the Internet. A company as well respected as yours, specifically being in the business of vacuum cleaning all types of carpets and flooring should not be fleecing the public with products that do not work as advertised.

About 10 months ago, I purchased a vacuum cleaner from Oreck on their 12 month 0% payment plan. The vacuum cleaner's great. But after a few months, something strange began to happen. On the regular billing date, the 7th of the month, they made an authorization on my Visa account for the regular $33.80 monthly payment. Fine. But then, on the 9th, they made an identical authorization. The second was the one they processed. This left $33.80 on my Visa debit account pending and unavailable to me until it simply dropped off. They have been doing this ever since.

In other words, in order to pay Oreck the $33.80 I owe them monthly, I have to provide them with access to $67.60 half of which they seem to feel entitled to tie up in a pointless pending authorization. I have four other recurring monthly payments - two of which are for larger amounts - and they all use my card information once a month. Now that makes sense to me. The Oreck system just makes no sense at all. Frankly, it seems to me that they are messing around with Visa information that I only want them to use once a month and with funds that aren't theirs at all.

I have contacted their Customer Service people several times. Twice the representatives seemed unable to comprehend my complaint altogether. The third time, I did get something of a response in the form of, We discourage debit cards. I couldn't care less what the Oreck Corporation discourages or encourages in regard to anything at all. I know that hotels and rental car agencies routinely place large authorizations on customers' accounts. But a vaccuum cleaner company? Basically, I want to know how they justify this practice, whether or not they are actually entitled to engage in it and if there is any way that I can get them to cut it out.

On a monthly basis, this practice sets in motion a process that deprives me of the use of $33.80 of my own funds for about nine business days. As well, I am uncomfortable about having my Visa information used in any way that is not absolutely necessary. I was the victim of debit card fraud several years ago and clearing that up was a nightmare. Any pointless use exposes customers to risk.

I purchased an XL vacuum cleaner in 2004 and it stopped working and the motor was smoking. I contacted Oreck and they replaced it in 2006 under the 2 year warranty. The replacement worked for a while, but a month ago it started smoking and caught fire. They will not replace it or repair it because the warranty is for 2 years only based on the FIRST purchase. So I'm stuck with this piece of junk that I paid almost $400.oo for. I also bought 2 so called air purifiers which have never worked and they won't replace or repair them.

I am out over $800.00 for products that are unreliable and undependable.

I don't know about their air purifiers but I purchased an intellasheild xl upright vacuum cleaner from Oreck and paid a little over $500.00 for the vacuum and supplies......it's the biggest piece of crap. I had a dirt devil I paid around $50.00 for that worked 10 times better than this Oreck. For as much as I paid you would think it would pick up something a little heavier than hair and dust.

I took the vacuum back to the store I purchased it from and the sales lady said I didn't have the bag inserted correctly and she put a new bag in for me. It still doesn't work any better than it did before. My 30 day trial was up so I've not tried to do anything farther. I will just never purchase or recommend an oreck again. Will strongly encourage people not to purchase an Oreck.

I received a certification with my vacuum entitling me to 5 free tune-ups, one per year. After having 2 tunes-ups completed (the first was one year and one month after my purchase date, the second was 2 years and 2 months after my purchase date), they informed me that since I was bringing it in four months after my purchase date, that I forfeited a year. However, I was still within the calendar year of the third year, and it did not say that on the certificate. Three Customer Service employees would not admit that there was an error made, but all said that even though it did not say the tune-ups needed to be completely within a year of the purchase date, that is what it meant. All three were sarcastic and rude. My Oreck vacuum is average in its performance and certainly not what the company claims it to be. I will never buy another one and will never recommend one.

I purchased an Oreck XL 21 silver Titanium off of the TV on 6/2/07. It was 749.00 with a 21 year warranty. When I took it to the service center above and went to retrieve my vacuum I immediately noticed that it wasn't my vacuum. It was very obvious to me that it had been switched to one that looked like it ran into a lot of furniture-- mine was practically brand new. Paul Hill told me that that was impossible because the serial number was imbedded in the machine and he could'nt have switched it.

When I looked closer at the place where the serial number on the machine was, it was nothing more than a silver sticker that was easily removable and it could have easily been able to be switched to another machine. I found out that Oreck does not have imbedded serial numbers . Because all of his paper trail records were in order as of this point ORECK customer care is not believing me that this man switched my machine.

To make matters more complicated I found my exact model on a JC Penney site-- look under vacuum cleaners and ORECK will pop up and my exact model is there but it is a Silver Titanium model and according to one customer rep that was the 600 series not the 700 series which according to them I received.

Bought vacuum and tried using it, it did not pick up as it should. I e-mailed the company, I called the company. They just say, "Take it to one of our stores," which means I would pay to have it looked at, even with guarantee. They also told me to take certain parts off and check them. I hate this vacuum. I tell everyone not to buy one.

REF: refusal to stand behind manufactured product. My wife and I are on our 2nd Oreck Vacuum machine purchased here in Honolulu. The first one functioned pretty well and we had no real complaints. The second one, however, has been a problem from the start. When we first began using the machine it seemed very heavy and hard to push. We took it to the dealer and were told there was nothing wrong with it, it must be our carpet. So we took it home and tried again. I called and questioned the dealer again and was told the carpet must have a high humidity and that is making the machine hard to push. So for nearly 2 years we have struggled with the lightweight easy-to-use Oreck and felt more and more that we should have returned it right away.

A few weeks ago we had the occasion to take the machine in to get a bag replacement and the technicians did something to the machine and when we brought it home it worked unbelievably well! But, within 2 weeks it was back to the old push problems. Again we are told it is working properly. It appears that the unit is not functioning with the belt properly. The wooden roller has scorched and turned black on one end and the machine simply does not perform well at all.

I am aware that we did not purchase this machine from your factory. Instead we purchased it from your authorized dealer. Nowhere in your advertising do you advise clients to purchase from the factory in order to receive satisfactory customer service. But that is the latest reason given us for your representative refusing to make good on your product.

I bought my Oreck Vacuum Cleaner in May of 1999. It was a model XL-2100 Blue Base Commercial at a cost of $429.90. For over $400.00, I would expect the vacuum to at least do a minimally efficient job. The Oreck may be able to pick up a bowling ball, but what good is it if it can't even pick up a pill of fabric or a dust bunny from the carpet? When I've brought it in for service the last couple of times, a very snotty woman told me that I just had to have regular maintenance and replace the belts. I've done this each of the last two years and am still experiencing the same problems.

Oreck has a real racket going on. You pay over $400 for the vacuum, a package of bags costs $18, and then they want to charge you $50 a year for maintenance. It seems that the only people who benefited from this sale are the Oreck dealers themselves. For that kind of expenditure, I should at least be happy with the product. You can be certain that I will never buy another Oreck, and I will discourage my friends and associates from buying one also.

We moved out to end of the earth Montana. After years of hearing how wonderful their vacuums are, I decided to buy one. It finally arrived and I could not wait to use it. I worked great for about a month and then it was downhill all the way. I had to wait to the one year anniversary to take it to my LOCAL dealer 250 MILES AWAY, when I brought it home it worked even WORSE than when I took it to the shop. I have not received any assistance from Oreck even though it is still under warranty. Don't buy an Oreck. They need to be X'd out.

In 2002, I bought a XL 3600 vaccum cleaner from Oreck. Page 3 of their warranty says 10 years on housing, 3 years on all else. Page 4 has a diagram with each part pointed out with an arrow and numbered. #14 points to exactly the part on my vacuum cleaner that is cracked in several places, and states Fan housing. Moreover in their own diagram there is NO other part labeled housing. I called Oreck and they told me it was covered under warranty and to take it to the closest Oreck store. I did. It is 20 miles away. They refused to honor the warranty.

So I returned home and called Oreck again. This time they refused too. I spoke to a Supervisor of customer service at Oreck: Dean, ID#1668. He refused to replace it under warranty stating the fan housing is not part of the housing, it is part of the motor. It is not part of the motor. It is a plastic tube, and moreover it is the only part with the word housing in their own description! He still refused. Days before all this, my daughter just asked me which vacuum cleaner she should buy. I told her Oreck. I just called her and said don't ever buy an Oreck.

I ordered my second Oreck in November of 2004 to be sent to a new address. When I called to see why I had not received my vacuum, I was informed they shipped one to my old address (had not lived there for several months at time of new order). I was sent a new unit and told that they would put a trace on the other unit and I would not be responsible. I have since received three past due notices and threats to sent it to collections! I have a spotless credit rating and this is harassment by the Oreck Corporation. I have sent them another letter today stating that if I do not get a written reply taking this off my account by August 1, I will lodge complaints with the BBB and go to my local TV consumer advocate group. But I found this site and decided not to wait.

In December 2003 I order an Oreck upright vacuum from the Internet which had 2 FREE gifts--a handheld vacuum and an iron. The advertisement said that if you returned the upright before (I think) 30 days, the handheld vacuum and iron were yours to keep AT NO COST TO THE CONSUMER. I returned the upright in January 2004 because I didn't like the way it cleaned. I wanted something with more suction. I kept the two free gifts. In October 2004 charges started to appear on my credit card from the Oreck Corp. I called in January 2005 to see what the charges were for. I was told that it was an error. Sometimes the computer had glitches. The charges would be removed and my credit card would be reimbursed.

Today, March 26, 2005 I receive a letter from the credit card company stating that Oreck Corp. is charging me $330.00 for the handheld vacuum that I didn't return. The vacuum is not worth $330. I kept it because the advertisement at the time (Dec. 03) said it was FREE. I have tried to contact Oreck Corp. again and cannot get a response from them. I am mailing a letter with copies they sent to my credit card company. I feel like Lori in the story of the Oreck air purifiers.

I purchased an Oreck vacuum cleaner through an American Express offer mailed to me by Oreck to Amex customers. I had never heard of them before or had any contact with the company prior to that time. I agreed to a special offer of 14 month equal payments billed to my Amex card. About 9 months into the billing, I upgraded my Amex card to a Rewards card and my account number changed. I contacted Oreck and gave them the new number to bill. They informed me at the time that I had a back payment that had been refused by Amex because of the card change. I agreed to a one time payment debited out of my bank account to protect my credit and promptly gave them the new Amex card number for billing.

Instead of billing my Amex as agreed upon, Oreck debited my bank account a second time the next month. I notified them of the error. They promised it would not happen again and proceeded to debit my bank account again two weeks later. I contacted them a third time. They apologized and said it was an accounting error. They admitted they had my new number on file and even called it back to me. I confirmed the Amex billing number a 3rd time. Oreck debited my account two more times. I finally had to close the account to get them to stop stealing from me.

I sent them a letter in December asking for a full accounting of what happened. They sent me a standard notice threatening collections if I did not pay in full for the missed payments. They still refuse to bill my Amex account and will not respond to any correspondence or tell me why they continued to take cash from my bank account without authorization.

Bought a Oreck XL vacuum in Paramus, NJ, 2004. Spent aprox. $350.00. Have had to replace belt several times, motor smokes to almost fire. Very scary, even after replacing belt. Called customer service 12/4/04, they told me it has a defective brush. Called Oreck Floor Store in Paramus, NJ to get copy of invoice. They told me no warranty, even if it's defective. Not to mention how expensive it is to buy vacuum bags, $17.00-18.00 for 3-4 bags, and the inconvenience of trying to find a specialty vacuum store that carries the bags. I guess vacuums are only built to last 2 years.

Also bought Oreck Air Cleaner, which took 3 months to get. Ordered in April, not sent until July 2004. We moved in July 2004, it was forwarded to the wrong address. By the time I got it my 90-day trial period was up. Now, they won't let me return the air cleaner or mini-vac unless I pay a $104.00 re-stocking fee. All this for waiting on their customer service line for almost 10 minutes the first time and 5 the next. So, they stink like the melting rubber on their lousy overpriced machines, spend less on advertising and more on customer satisfaction.

I purchased a vacuum cleaner from Oreck and it came with a free Iron and a free canister Vacuum cleaner. If I tried out the vacuum and was not satisfied within the 30 days I could send the vacuum back and receive a full refund and keep the iron and canister vacuum. I called them a month later after sending the vacuum back and I was told that I could not get my money back unless I sent the free canister vacuum back. I told the customer service agent that their order stated it was free just like the iron and that is what had made the order attractive, but she insisted I return it. Please let me know how I can go about getting my money back. Thank you.

A defective vacuum cleaner was replaced by Oreck. The old one was returned. Now ORECK says that it was not returned and is threatening with collection for the price of a new cleaner.

I have had ongoing problems with Oreck for about 2 years and am at my wit's end. I bought a vacuum which literally fell apart and ONLY after hours of correspondence with the LA BBB, did Oreck replace it free of charge. They were supposed to send a prepaid box to return the original vacuum and FINALLY they sent me a box but I have not had time to return the original and also need to ensure they included a prepaid sticker.

For the past 6 months, they have been sending me threatening notices (and jeopardizing my credit) indicating I OWE them $369.95 for the replacement vacuum - which is not the case and I wonder if this is even legal??? NOW they have actually billed my credit card (without my approval) for this amount. I am now forced to spend countless more hours with the LA Better Business Bureau and my credit card company disputing an illegal charge! Have I any further legal recourse in this matter? Frankly, their practices are fraudulent if not illegal and I am hoping that someone can do something about this. Thank you for any help!

I took the Oreck challenge. And a challenge it was! After two weeks we decided that it didn't work any better than our $60 vacuum, so we peeled the label and returned it. And kept getting billed. We called, we wrote, and all they said was "Well, we never received it." We had written down the confirmation number, but it got lost when we moved.

I purchased an Oreck vacuum through an ad in a magazine in October of 2002. The sales lady said I would have 30 days with no payment. Two weeks after receiving the Oreck, I got a "minimum payment bill". They also sent me a canister vacuum & iron "free" with the vacuum purchase. Whether I kept the vacuum or not--they were supposed to be free. As the bill for the Oreck vacuum came from Household Bank, I called them & Oreck about the early bill. They each passed the buck back & forth. I got another bill with a late fee on it. I couldn't get either company to work with me. I decided to make a payment over the phone because I didn't know what else to do. The minimum payment was $20.00. I made a payment of $100.00 to give me time to figure out how to get one or the other of the companies to listen to me.

After numerous calls and dissatisfaction with the vacuum itself, I sent it back to Oreck. I then got a bill from Household Bank with a $320.00 balance owing. I called and they said to dispute this charge, they needed written proof that I sent it back. I sent the postal receipt to them. Household Bank then sent me a statement saying it was not their problem and it was between Oreck and me. On the bill, Oreck credited me $109.07 toward the overall $400.00 vacuum. Household Bank says I still owe $320.00 on a vacuum I don't have. I'm so frustrated at this point, I don't know what to do. The vacuum was not doing what it was supposed to do & I can't get this resolved on my own. Please help me with this.

We bought the upright vacuum 3/22/01. While I am happy with its performance, other than it won't go under kitchen cabinets, the belt breaks at least once a week which is too often and paying what we did for the sweeper, this seems to be very irregular and it is a pain to clean the sweeper every time you vacuum. I know we have had it a little over a year, however I do not believe it should start acting up quite so soon. I would like to know what can be done about this problem. Thank you.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Oreck is an American vacuum manufacturer founded in 1923. It currently manufactures products in China and finishes most assemblies in the U.S.

• Retail stores: Oreck sells many of its vacuums through local retail stores so consumers can inspect them before buying.
  • Online sales: A secure, convenient e-commerce site lets consumers purchase vacuums online if they prefer.
  • Free shipping: Vacuums sold on the Oreck website include free standard shipping.
  • Affordable prices: Most Oreck vacuums cost between 250 and 500 dollars.
  • Customer service: Oreck offers diverse customer service options that include Live Chat and a call center.
  • Best for Oreck makes affordable vacuum cleaners for homeowners, landlords and renters.

Compare Vacuum Cleaners