1.24/5
Based on 139 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Hoover Vacuum Cleaners

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 3, 2017

235 Hoover Vacuum Cleaners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Purchased a vacuum a week ago and used it twice and it stopped working. It wasn't picking up anything. I checked everything, took vacuum apart, cleaned filters and still wouldn't work. I called customer care where I waited 25 minutes with no answer so I decided to go online. I talked with a man who said I needed to take the vacuum to a Hoover service center. I informed him that the closest service center was over an hour away, he didn't care and said that's where it needs to go to be serviced. I told him, "Thanks for your time but I will just return the item to the store and pick a different brand", he said, "Thanks for contacting Hoover." They clearly do not care about the customers, I am just one. Maybe I didn't purchase a good enough vacuum for them to even worry about but either way I returned the vacuum that did not work and went with a Bissell. I wouldn't recommend Hoover to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I found that this company (Hoover Vacuums) was the worst that I've had to deal with in the last 50 years. I bought a new Hoover Vacuum cleaner and found a broken piece on the lid of the canister the first time I used it. Ask customer service for a replacement under the warranty. I was told to send the receipt of purchase which I did. (And picture) Then I was told I had to get replacement part through a local dealer and not through them. The company itself would not repair or replace it even under the warranty. Then I found out that the part was even no longer being manufactured. I wrote to the company CEO, customer service and the public relations officer and they have never even had the courtesy to write back. MY RECOMMENDATION, DO NOT PURCHASE ANY HOOVER PRODUCT.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Hoover Vacuum customer Service "Mary" - Purchased a Hoover Vacuum from Hoover.com. When it came parts we're missing to assemble Vacuum. After 1 hour and 7 minutes on phone request for a supervisor over 11 times. She refused. She transferred call and in between said, "This woman is a raving **," to other person near them.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I had bought Hoover Vacuum from Walmart and it have 5 years manufacturer warranty and I put with Walmart 3 years insurance material and labor. Just after two years, my Hoover vacuum Clung and no more working. I called Hoover and they refer me to Bank Vacuum after they verify the warranty. Two days later they call me and said nothing covered by the warranty nor the issuance. It is damage not defect. They required me to pay a $90 to fix the motor and clean it in addition to replace filters. I paid for this vacuum $200. And it worth nothing, when I call Hoover customer service their answer was (YOU NEED TO READ THE (500 PAGES) MANUAL BEFORE YOU BUY THE VACUUM). I really waste my money and my time call them. So If you need to waste your money and then spend more money with no precept go ahead and buy Hoover product.

Original review: July 7, 2017

I purchased a Hoover and it broke quickly in less than 6 months. Hoover told me to take it to the local shop to be repaired and would probably be covered under warranty. The part was not, even though the repair shop said the vacuum was in excellent shape and there was no appearance of misuse. What a complete disappointment. Hoover is not standing by their quality claims. Why should I buy a part that will not last another 6 months? Better for me to just buy a different vacuum from a better brand. I won't buy Hoover again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hoover?

Original review: July 6, 2017

The Main issue causing the problem is hair and dirty getting clogged in the hose and the clear face inside just above the spinning brush. The hose connects at to sites from the base to the body of the vacuum and the end of the hose to the body or to vacuum attachments. The hose (which otherwise seems very high quality and made with good materials) has problems clogging at the base before entering the catch basin. Removing debris from the hose is challenging. Equally challenging and time consuming is the need to remove the pet hair and debris clogging the suction just above the spinning brush. Basically the "Pet" vacuum has trouble handling pet hair. There may not be a great solution except that the company could design and include a "pipe cleaner" type of device to unclog these areas. They need cleaning about every other use... So it's a resolution is quite needed.

Original review: June 24, 2017

Air lift deluxe vacuum - This vacuum needs to be recalled... First I have only had it for 6 months, it will be returned to Walmart today. First thing is the motor that spins the brush to actually clean your floors fast, stopped working correctly after using twice a day for 5 months, yes I've been using it for a month taking 30 min at a time. Going over the same spot over and over. Sometimes it works when it wants to and only when I'm pulling the vacuum backwards. I have to vacuum... And who wants to spend another $150 or more plus tax on a good vacuum when they just did a few months ago.

So anyways called Hoover, I was told to take it back to the store or to a repair center which is 30 min from my home. Well today the handle snapped off... WT heck. How does that even happen. I will just return this and get a different brand. Also the vacuum is not sold in stores anymore... I wonder why? Humm. Too many people returning the poorly made items.

Original review: May 28, 2017

I got the Windtunnel UH30310 a year ago and have been very disappointed with the continual breakage of the belts. I've read all about there being two models (of the Pet variety) but regardless of which belt I use it continues to break after two uses. I have also checked the things that enable the brush to roll and they are fine. I have noticed many others (on Amazon and elsewhere) seem to be in a twilight zone trying to find a belt that actually works for more than one or two uses. These things are not cheap when having to buy them every month or so. I love the suction on the sweeper and have other minor complaints but having to pop the thing open after 2 uses and replace yet another belt is ridiculous.

Original review: May 28, 2017

Bought the Hoover Airlift 1 year ago. Hate having to take everything apart to wash it and clean it out. Roller brush spins only when pulling vacuum backwards. Watched all the videos, did as they said and still doesn't work. Emailed Hoover and they said warranty good for 6 months and gave me list of vendors to repair it. I am guessing it would cost more to fix the vacuum than to repair it. I would certainly think a vacuum should last for more than a year. We had an old Kenmore upright that lasted 15 years. It was heavy but worked great. No more Hoovers for us.

Original review: May 16, 2017

Hoover Vacuum Cleaner Air Steerable WindTunnel Bagless. It blew up on me after 6 months of light use. Purchased it on Amazon. That was the first mistake since they don't honor the warranty. Hoover sent me to a local rep who said that it will take 4 weeks to determine if it qualifies for "repair due to manufacturing defects." Not sure what happens after that. But my advice is don't buy this product and don't buy anything from Amazon that might need to be returned.

Original review: May 9, 2017

Bought the new React model Uh73100 self-adjusting sensor floor vacuum. Started vacuuming my hardwood floors and it worked fine but when I moved onto the carpet, things weren't right. The self-adjusting floor sensor sensed that I moved to the carpet which is of medium thickness, and beater brush was activated, but after vacuuming for 10 seconds the beater brush shut off and red light came on. Made several attempts but same thing kept happening. On/off sensor switch did not work. I called Hoover customer service for advice but was kept on hold for over 30 minutes with no response, so decided to e-mail company. Left my concerns but no response. Customer service is very very poor or non-existent. Made another attempt to operate vacuum with no success so boxed it up and returned to the store. I will never buy another Hoover product ever. Poor quality control.

Original review: May 1, 2017

This is the 3rd Hoover I bought and they all keep losing suction after about a week of using and then they just shut off on their own... I was laid back about it at first figuring I just got some faulty sweeper. Luck of the draw... But no it's not just a random bad sweeper. This happens to all of the ones I got. After trying to vacuum about 10 min ago and basically getting nowhere with it I decided to write this complaint. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THESE!!! It's a shame that companies run business this way these days... I remember my parents having one sweeper and it lasted my entire childhood and then some. Not these days and it's a shame. Steal our money pretty much and give a handful of junk.

Original review: April 15, 2017

My central vacuum is out of service since 2 months and that's the third time it happen. The company keep saying that the broken part is back order and nobody answer to my complaint even if the people at the service swear that I will received a phone call the day after. Completely rotten. Never again.

Original review: April 1, 2017

I love this little vacuum! It's very light and maneuverable yet picks up like a big vac! It has no attachments but it does a good job of picking up even along the edges of rooms, on floors and carpets. The handle flattens down very close to the floor so you can get the vacuum head under beds and furniture. It has a very long and pliable cord so you can do a large room without unplugging and moving the cord. I have a bad back and pushing a full size vac is difficult for me. This one is great and easy to carry up and down stairs. I liked it so much. I bought a second one for our camper. It's small enough so I can store it under the bed in the camper.

Original review: March 8, 2017

Bought an upright wind tunnel, put it together myself, Husband had a major stroke and I needed a vacuum. 2 years in, the on/off switch just stopped working altogether. I've had to use a strong screwdriver to knock the switch, just to run it. Now, nothing! Vacuum works fine, but no on/off switch! Just I bought a cheap Bissell and it works just fine, even better. But I love the weight and features of the Hoover, will NEVER buy another Hoover!

Original review: March 6, 2017

I bought this last year after being conned into buying it at £2.000. I very rarely use it as it's useless. Last week I got it out switched it on, and it switched itself off. It does this all the time now. Tried ringing the company but nobody answers the phone. This is absolutely no good to me, as I'm still paying for it & it don't work. DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE, you have been warned.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

In September 2016 we purchased an awesome Hoover Sprint QuickVac Bagless Upright Vacuum, (UH20040 - Corded). Hands down, best vacuum we'd ever had -- and for under $40, best value we had ever seen! Beginning of December, it stopped working. We purchase and keep items literally for decades, and are very aware of best practices for maintenance. I read the manual, online troubleshooting, checked every inch for any clogs, but all was clean. We had emptied the collector and filter after every use, and had fewer than 60 minutes on the machine itself, with normal household use. I searched for Warranty repair options, and was given a local place to take it. Hoover - up to this point, your part was "stellar"!!

I took our sweeper, a copy of our receipt (dated), contact information to: Clean Sweep Vacuum And Sewing, 208 U.S. Hwy 1 N, North Palm Beach, FL 33408. A less than enthusiastic person received our sweeper and info, giving me a claims ticket. Said we'd get a call. After 4-5 weeks, I stopped by & was told it'll take 7-8 weeks.

After 8 weeks, I called but phone got cut off and my attempts to immediately redial was met with voice mail - several times. 9th week - I called, leaving yet another voicemail. I finally got a return call, telling me that my sweeper was clogged, therefore required repair, $40 for one part and that's when I stopped them from going further. Explaining that I looked through the sweeper, seeing no clog, I was told I wouldn't be able to see it. What? And I was told that my warranty had expired and that she had my receipt right there, so it would require repair anyway. I explained my purchase was September 2016, to which I was told was incorrect, and that until I called all they had was an address, which was why they didn't call.

Well USPS still operates, but no attempt to send a postcard was made either. So, I was to pay for repair I had not approved, and would not be able to receive my sweeper back unless I were to pay their bill, which was more than the sweeper itself! I told them to keep the damn thing, to which they replied, they'd throw it away. Right. I am sure it will show up in their showroom along with the other 150 used, repaired sweepers from other customers they have scammed the same way they scammed me. TAKE THIS PLACE OFF YOUR LIST!!! They represent you horribly!! I would have rather shipped my sweeper to China, paying shipping myself than to have dealt with the rudeness and lack of professionalism of this place! Now I'm out a great sweeper and 100% of my patience.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

Below is a complaint I tried to post in the comments section of Hoover's Website. They rejected it, saying that it did not meet their guidelines. Their guidelines apparently mean "praise."

I live in Mexico. Bought Hoover Wind Tunnel 3 Pet Vacuum Cleaner about four years ago. After a few months it started making a loud noise and losing suction. No warranty centers in this area, so I brought it back to Costco and got another. After a few months the belt broke. Bought new belts for it through a friend visiting from the States. After a few more months the same thing happened as with the first one: loud noise and loss of suction, and also for no reason the hinge on the dirt cup broke. I corresponded with Hoover via email for a while, and sent photos of the machine's ID tag with serial and model numbers on it. Customer rep then asked me for a video so she could hear the noise for herself, and that's when I gave up. Asking for a video is absurd. We don't all have the means to provide one. If the company is going to sell its products in Mexico it has an obligation to provide a way to honor its warranty.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

I have a Hoover floormate. I have used it monthly but not daily and have had it about 1 year. Today I tried to use it and it didn't work. I stayed on hold with Hoover for over an hour! I have all the purchase information but I do not have the receipt for the purchase. I'm not super organized but I kept all of my warranties in a file. Cassandra told me I had to have the receipt for the warranty or else it is void. So I guess I'm SOL, next time I will buy a Bissell!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

I have called 14 times. Been on hold from 114 minutes to 40 min. They have never picked up their phone. Their call back request option does not work. I have emailed them several times from their website with my vacuum info and order receipt. The wheel fell off my vacuum after three months because a plastic piece broke off. I have had no response. I don't know what to do.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

Dont waste your money. Within ONE HOUR of first use, the thing died. First let me state that the floor cleaning width is a joke (as is same with ALL newer vacs now. I am noticing they are MAYBE 10 inch and the amps were lowered to 9 or 10, NOT THE 12 all vacs used to have), so you have to make many more passes on a carpet/floor area. Next, the suction is horrible. I was doing the same AREA on carpet at least 3 times in order to get it clean. NO height adjustment for low pile/no pile carpet is part of the problem. The dust cup is very small, so you have to empty it more often. Very annoying/time consuming. NO EDGE CLEAN or handle height adjustment and the whole thing felt awkward to use/push.

Hoover has gone the way of all other brands though. Cheaply made product with less quality. The only GOOD feature: nice long cord. I wouldn't spend a dime for another 'NEW' hoover product. I have replaced it with a Bissell (I was fortunate to find an OLDER MODEL, wider cleaning path of 13 inches, super suction, easier to find and clean filters, LARGER capacity cup that also empties very simply, also with nice long cord and comparable price). Hoover... you have done a great disservice to former loyal consumers. Too bad you chose to go cheap instead of QUALITY and FUNCTION.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2016

Two Hoover floormates have had the same problem in less than six months. First I bought a refurbished floormate in June this year from Walmart and after less than two months and very little usage one day I pushed the start button and the motor tried to start then died, then nothing. I thought that is what I get for buying refurbished and threw it away.

Apparently I don't learn from my mistakes. So off I went to another large retailer, Home Depot, and bought a new one. That was in August this year... it is now the middle of December and I went, once again to clean a very tiny area (doggie piddles), this thing has maybe cleaned 10 square feet ten times and that's a generous guess, and once again the starter tried to start the motor and like an old car it just died. Now I have the pleasure of taking it to be repaired at no cost to me, just the inconvenience. What a piece of garbage they are making. I bought two this year from two different retailers and both with the exact same malfunction! Obviously this is not rare. This is the last time I buy Hoover! I will provide an update if it ever gets fixed!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2016

We had been very happy with the Flair Vacuum but when it broke I tried unsuccessfully to call Hoover's 1800 number. Never had a person answer but I agree with another caller that the classical music was enjoyable. Online I began a "chat" about the broken vacuum and wanted to know if parts were available to repair it ourselves. The operator typed that he could not understand my question and could only tell me to contact a repair store and abruptly ended our "chat." Needless to say that he didn't even say "goodbye." My assumption is that the operator was not capable in English and for that reason could not understand the question. I suggest that Hoover hire operators who have passed a customer training AND English course. We'll be replacing it with a non-Hoover product. I grew up with the Hoover name so it is sad and frustrating.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2016

Hoover Cruise - Very disappointed!!! I dropped it and broke the dirt cup. I called and they said no parts were available!!! So that means I paid almost $200 and it can't be used. Now it's sitting in my closet.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

Have had this vacuum for one year. Got it as a Christmas present from my son. This thing overheats constantly at a very short period of use. The suction is terrible and the hose is useless. I'm trashing this thing, will not buy another Hoover!!! Ever! There are no bristles on the "brush" attachment. It doesn't pick up anything. I have a small dog that sheds, but not a lot. I try to vacuum about every 2-3 days. I borrowed my neighbor's vacuum because I was expecting company, and the bloomin' vacuum overheats after one room. I was so mad! Hate to tell my son it's a piece of trash!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2016

I purchased a carpet cleaner from Hoover on 8-9-16, returned the machine on 8-9-16 because I didn't like it... The suction was not as good as my old Hoover (I paid the postage to return the cleaner myself.) (Hoover received it 8-12-16.) Despite multiple calls to customer service (I called 9-12-16, 9-13-16 (because I didn't receive promised return call), 10-17-16 (didn't receive promised call from Cassandra who said she would call me when the refund was issued) I never received my refund... 11-12-16 STILL NO REFUND. I sent Hoover Customer Service an e-mail today, posted a negative review on their website and am also mailing a letter. They could collect my money the day I ordered but cannot issue a refund in 3 months? Risking their reputation and losing a loyal Hoover customer all to keep less than $150?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2016

Long Story Short, my house is ALL SOLAR. With that said I still have to clean/vacuum. After looking for a while, I finally decided on this HOOVER LINX CORDLESS VACUUM. WOW just love it. Charges fast and ready to go again. It's bagless, operates with an lithium-ion battery, wind tunnel, so easy to empty and clean. I also have 2 small dogs that do shed time to time. Who knew vacuuming could be fast and fun? Will be ordering a 2nd one later. THANK YOU HOOVER VACUUMS.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2016

The products work when they are new. However since they are made in China, it take longer to get repair parts, if they are even kept in stock. They do not warehouse any of repair parts and rely on 3rd party dealers or distributors. This puts their dealer and distributors in the middle.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2016

After nearly 40 years of using a Hoover Vacuum Cleaner, I am very dissatisfied with the design changes made in the hose and handle of canister models produced after Hoover was sold to Hong Kong-based Techtronic Industries. Two problems: 1) VERY POOR AND CHEAP CHOICE OF MATERIALS for the hose. I received my S3670 Wind Tunnel as a Christmas gift in 2013; it's hose is made of stiff plastic. It's like trying to clean with piece of jagged PVC attached to the wand. The outer tubing grinds away at corners on my furniture or walls as it passes; it doesn't twist and turn with my movements and it doesn't protect the wiring between the engine and the wand. I had to replace the hose after only 2 years of normal to light use at a cost of $80 because the internal wiring broke.

The pre-2006 USA-made models incorporated a durable and flexible-like-fabric material which never had these failures! I kept my old vacuum from the 1980's and even though it is consigned to the sporadic car and garage jobs, it is still a pleasure to use. 2) BAD DESIGN ON THE HAND GRIP. Who did you think was going to use your vacuum cleaners? André the Giant? The Hand Grip is far too large for a lady's grasp and ergonomically speaking (and I am a classical pianist; ergonomics matter!!) it is very awkward... forcing your hand into an uncomfortable angle. I have to walk away from cleaning after no more than 15 minutes so that I can massage my muscles out of a cramp.

The muscles to which I am specifically referring are the Lumbrical of the index finger, the Adductor pollicis, the Flexor pollicis brevis, Abductor pollicis brevis and the Opponens pollicis. I usually end up using both hands on the handle or trying to use the machine while avoiding the hand grip. It's really too bad that you were so foolish to shave off a few dollars in the cost of construction of this machine because I will, in the future, go out of my way to avoid purchasing any other appliance from Techtronic. (By the way, you ought to remove the "Hoover" name from your products. Own up to your own work and don't run down the reputation of folks who made excellent vacuum cleaners for 98 years.)

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

I am 55 years old. I remember when this great company used to make a great product. In the past twenty or more years they create and produce **. Nothing works longer than a few times, they should be ashamed of their horrible products. I have three dead soldier rug cleaners and two vacuums. I refuse my adult kids even look at anything they produce. We should all get a major consumer law suit against these thieves, maybe if they have a couple of million people go to court and sue these bastards for selling products that only work a couple of times and fail. They should be accountable!! DON'T BUY HOOVER!!!

Hoover expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Hoover is a large manufacturing company that has been making vacuum cleaners since 1908. The American segment of the company was owned by the Whirlpool Corporation until 2006.

• Free shipping: All vacuums sold through Hoover's website include free shipping.
    • Diverse designs: Hoover has a range of designs, including upright, canister and stick vacuum options.
    • Affordable prices: Most Hoover vacuum cleaners cost less than 500 dollars.
    • Numerous attachments: Consumers who purchase Hoover vacuums can expect numerous attachments that help them clean upholstery, vehicles and stairs.
    • Best for: Hoover makes durable vacuums that homeowners, renters, landlords and drivers should find useful.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs