3.83/5

339 Hoover Vacuum Cleaners Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 3, 2019

Bought this vacuum in September 2018. In May of 2019 I was using it and I unplugged it from one outlet and plugged it into another. When I plugged it in it wouldn't work. It says on the vacuum not to bring it back to the store, call the 1-800 number, which I did. It turns out there are no authorized dealers in my area of Newfoundland to service the machine, and I have to ship it back to Ontario, before they will give me a new one. However, the catch is I have to pay the shipping. I paid $118.99 for the machine on sale at Canadian Tire and if I ship it through Canada Post it will cost me a little over $100.00 and if shipped by courier I will have to pay $304.00. A little much! Why can't I just bring it back to Canadian Tire and exchange for a new one like other products I have purchased!

They stated that this is stated in the MANUAL, however, when you purchase the item the MANUAL is in the box so how in !!!! are you suppose to know that before you purchase it. So all Hoover upright buyers, beware, have the store open the box so you can read the manual warranty policy before you purchase! Otherwise, you be like me holding a vacuum that is useless and has to throw out good money for another, because it is cheaper than sending it back. I guess I am getting a late April fool! No more Hoover products for me, not because of their performance, but because of the warranty clause.

Original review: May 29, 2019

I was told theres no repair within 100 miles, so I HAD TO SHIP THEIR FAILED VACUUM< AT MY EXPENSE, TO TENNESSEE. I DIDNT BUY IT IN TENNESSEE. The customer service supervisor agreed it's a horrible policy, but apparently still works for them....Have some self respect....

Get expert buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I bought a Hoover FH50150CA in three months and the seal is broken. Now, it cannot suck anything in. We called the company for replaced part and was told that warranty only cover motor. What are waste of money.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I bought Hoover Vacuum cleaner from the Best Buy. In less than a year it stopped working. I tried to contact Hoover customer care at all the numbers they mentioned on their website as well as on the product. But call was put on hold for more than one hour. Even email communication was not successful. My worst customer care experience. I will not recommend buying Hoover products.

Original review: March 30, 2019

Has got to be the worst vacuum, I've ever had! Only bought at beginning of month and its belts already snapped, doesn't have much power to pick stuff up. This morning the handle fell off! As screw wasn't even tight. Never buying from Hoover again. Waste of money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hoover?

Original review: March 25, 2019

3 months old the cheap plastic hose at the top tore off. By the way the cord attaches to the bottom of the vacuum. Just pulling the handle down is a problem in itself. A 10-year-old must of designed this and that's being generous. They sent me an empty box to mail it back. Never received that. They don't sell the part. Never does Amazon or eBay. Purchasing a Bissell.

Original review: March 20, 2019

This is my third Hoover Windtunnel vacuum. Based on the price it's a half decent vacuum. The warranty is crap so if you're buying based on warranty...don't. This is the third time that the starter toggle switch went out on all three of the vacuums. This first two was out of warranty, however the switch on the third one failed within eight months. I was advised by Hoover that I would have to package up the whole vacuum and send it to their office at my own expense to their office in Ontario. The switch is $7 and replace it myself or spend $50+ to have it 'covered under warranty'. Sent a second e-mail requesting a local company take care of it and no response. DON'T purchase this appliance expecting it to be fixed under warranty. Also purchased a Hoover Carpet Washer and it broke within 6 months. Used it three times. Not good customer service Hoover.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Trust and believe I will not purchase another Hoover vacuum cleaner. Two of these uprights have conked out on me. Additionally, I purchased a Dirt Devil and that one died on me as well. I did not bother to contact customer service as I was not about to give the Hoover company any more of my hard earned money. Don't waste your money folks.

Original review: March 4, 2019

Hoover product: Replacement Belt Item Number 440005136. I was pleased to find the replacement belt I needed for my vacuum, despite Hoover no longer manufacturing the particular canister vacuum I own. The website provided a good description of the item, but I was unable to enhance the image in order to read the serial number on the belt, which I thought might be the correct item. As a result I had to contact customer service for assistance. The representative with whom I spoke was very helpful and knowledgeable and friendly; she was able to verify the correct belt I needed and I ordered the item from the website.

Shipping was RIDICULOUSLY expensive ($6.99) for such a small item, which cost only $3.00. After initial e-mail confirmation of the order, I never received shipping notification, which would have been helpful since the time between placing the order and delivery was almost two weeks. Nevertheless, the belt was the correct item and the correct size and it was easy to install and the vacuum now works as it was designed. I have used Hoover products for years and I have found them to be consistently reliable despite lesser quality parts & construction in recent years.

Addendum: The above comments refer to an order which was placed on February 1, 2019. On February 22, 2019 Hoover sent a follow-up e-mail asking me to provide feedback on my order and my experience with their company. My submitted review & comments are the same as those above with the addition of the following comment made on their online questionnaire: Submit additional feedback to Customer Care: Would you recommend Hoover to a friend? 0-10 - (I rated Hoover a 7). Why?: I have used Hoover products for years and I have found them to be consistently reliable despite lesser quality parts & construction in recent years.

The following day I received another e-mail from Hoover with the following message: "Your Review has been moderated. Our staff has read your review and values your contribution even though it did not meet all our website guidelines. Thanks for sharing, and we hope to publish next time!" Apparently, Hoover is only interested in publishing 100% positive reviews on their website. Good-bye Hoover & good luck!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Hoover products cannot be relied and I would not advise people to buy their products simply for 2 main reasons: 1. Product Quality - poor and 2. Warranty support - pathetic. I purchased the product in 2016, which comes with battery that failed within 2 years. A battery with 5 years of warranty failing in its 2nd year is too bad a quality. On contacting Hoover, I was asked to return the old battery, which I gladly agreed, but they wouldn't pay for the return shipping.

Now as a consumer, I trust a product at least to last its warranty period. If the product fails before that, then the manufacturer needs to replace or fix it for FREE of cost and not charge anything to the consumer. Consumer has already paid for the product and for its shipping as the case may be. Now for the manufacturers defect and fault, why should I pay the shipping every time it fails. Who knows in the remaining warranty period it fails again, then again I need to pay for its shipping. That's ridiculous.

2ndly, when I agreed to ship on my cost, post FEDEX would not ship a lithium battery without proper box label. This company doesn't know that lithium products needs to have proper lithium label and the customer service boasts that they have thousands of returns of battery and no one asked for a label. Well, people may have shipped without disclosing or maybe it's a new rule or maybe some postal carrier is enforcing this rule, still they should know. In fact their boxes have those UL labels, and they cannot send a proper label to affix on the return box. If a company cannot product a product which lasts at least to its warranty period, then such product should be avoided. Don't buy Hoover due to poor product quality and pathetic customer service.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Our nearly new Hoover vacuum cleaner runs for about 3 minutes then cuts out, not long enough to vac one room. We then have to wait over half an hour before it will run again. I have tried to buy a new thermal cut out switch without success. We will have to buy another vacuum cleaner but it will not be a Hoover.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Ordered a rug scrubber. Also got the vacuum and handheld vacuum. The handheld didn't work. I called and they wanted me to pay to return it. 2 more calls to finally get a shipping label. Then 3 weeks later they send me confirmation they are sending me a Dirt Devil? Those in the past have never been that great so I call again and they tell me they don't have any handheld vacuum cleaners. How does Hoover, as big of a company as that have no handheld vacuum cleaners??? All of the customer service people act like they don't care. Or like I am bothering them when I call. I will never deal with these people again. I should have stuck with the Shark.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I bought at Costco the Hoover Linx cordless vacuum on 3/24/2018. This product is only used between regular vacuuming with an Electrolux. The product is still under warranty. The battery went completely dead and will not charge in the charger. It’s been terrible dealing with Hoover.com and their customer service department. I’ve called and waited on hold for 45 mins the first time I called. Then if you send emails they never respond until the next day, or later and only provide tidbits of information at a time. What could have been resolved in a single phone call, or a couple of emails has taken at least 2 two phone calls (which I hung up after waiting 15 mins on the 2nd call...was not going to waste another 45 mins trying to get my problem resolved), and at least 8 emails. My first email I explained my problem... After a few days they finally responded wanting my receipt which I sent.

Well that wasn’t enough... They then after a day sent another email giving me troubleshooting to try... Received two letters different days telling me how to troubleshoot. After I did the troubleshooting it was known that the battery was defective and dead. Had to once again send yet another email, who then told me I had to send back at my expense the defective battery before they would do anything. Luckily I had kept the dead battery once determined that battery was dead... Because I almost took it to a store that recycles. So I then had to send them another email with the tracking number and carrier I used for returning the dead/defective battery.

Once again...waited another day for another email from Hoover. I will never, ever buy another Hoover product because of their terrible customer service. As I stated this could have been resolved in a phone call if they bothered to answer, or in a few emails, but they continued to drag it along and take forever to honor the warranty. I’ve had a useless product for weeks and received yet another email from Hoover stating my replacement battery may arrive in 7 to 14 days... Don’t buy a Hoover product as it’s a nightmare to get them to honor a warranty.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I have spent over 1000 dollars on this garbage over the last two years - and somehow I always get suckered into buying a new one. NO MORE. I will never buy Hoover products again - the vacuum cleaners work for no more than 2 months and then they die - and it's a big piece of trash that clutters of my house for no purpose - and then it dies a rightful death in the landfills. But it's a drain on my wallet, a waste of product, it's absolutely useless and I'm sick of calling customer service and getting NOWHERE. How this business is still on the market I can't know, because it's not just bad luck when the third vacuum gives up after only months. It's got to be a company wide systematic problem.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

Vacuum for a 60+ female to vacuum hallways & small spaces. One wheel's plastic housing broke internally in 6 months & could not be fixed. Replacement also broke internally in 6 months. Arguing with Hoover resulted in them hanging up on future calls to them. Obvious product defect since I now see these vacuums being sold off in various product closeout stores. Not the Hoover my parents & I always bought from in the past. Now have 2 Shark vacuums which are awesome! Bye bye Hoover!!!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

This is a great vac if you can get your clean-up done in 3 to 5 minutes, because it won't run for longer than that. It seems that Hoover is going the way of Sears and Toys "R" Us... Great American companies that can't keep up with the times. This thing is a month old and they want ME to pay the return shipping. Their customer service is a joke.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I purchased a Hoover hardwood floor cleaner off Amazon back in June. I noticed that the cleaner was using more and more liquid each time I used it. The last time I had the item on DRY which should not produce any liquid and it still leaked. I contacted Hoover as my return and service window with Amazon is up. Hoover will not warranty my 6 month old unit due to having purchased from a 3rd party seller. Best they would offer me is to call their customer support directly to receive a discount on a new item. The one I have is very new!! Hoover does not stand by their products and does not offer the same one year warranty that everyone else does. I want everyone to know not to buy their crap products; that they don't last. Hoover doesn't stand by the products they sell and they don't offer a warranty.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I purchase the Rouge Vacuum at Target almost a year ago. The front brushes stop spinning. Knowing there is a year warranty, I reached out to Hoover to replace. Could not get anyone to answer customer service line. Sent an email with issues that no one responded to. Went to nearest repair shop on Hoover’s website. Was charged 60 dollars, then told they could not fix it. Motor for brushes burned out and Hoover told them they would not warranty it. Called Hoover. Had to wait almost 20 minutes on hold to be told unless I can get the receipt they will do nothing. Told them I bought it on my red card from Target, have statement. Still refuse to do anything without the receipt. Called Target, requested a copy of my receipt. They refused stating they can only go back 90 days. So out 600 hundred dollars, and still don’t have a working vacuum.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I have purchased the Hoover - WindTunnel 3 Pro Bagless Pet Upright Vacuum less than a year ago, it stopped working so I contacted the customer service. Item is still under company’s warranty however they were not accommodating by fixing or replacing. Terrible customer service, not only they will not assist or transfer me to a manager they said my only option (if I choose not to travel to a service center 2 hours away from where I reside) is to ship the vacuum to them - shipping charges on me and even then they’re not sure they’ll be able to replace it. Absolutely unacceptable. Mind you there’s still 1 year plus left for warranty. I’m stuck with a broken vacuum and feel completely cheated! Don’t waste your money, poor quality of items (nothing like what they seem to advertise). It’s not worth the headache. Plenty other brands I’m sure will have a better customer service and of course a product that works.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I purchased a Hoover Cordless FloorMate. 6 months later it quits working and makes loud grinding noises. Contacted Hoover since it was under warranty. After sending videos and emails and a couple of phone calls they agree to replace the unit if I return it at my cost. I have never had to pay shipping to return a defective item that is under warranty. Shipping for a vacuum is not cheaper. Poor customer service. This is the 3rd FloorMate I have owned. They all broke under 2 years. Hoover makes throw away products. After this experience I will not buy another Hoover product.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I used this vacuum once a week for 11 weeks, 11 times. It is now separating at a place where it is not supposed to come apart. I would think that since they have a manufacturer's warranty that this would be covered. I submitted a claim to them, pictures and receipt, per their email, I should hear back in 2-3 days. 12 days later and 6 requests for an update and still nothing. Should have purchased another SHARK, but that's what I get for trying to save some money. It is unacceptable for a company to completely ignore their customers and I will make sure that everyone I know never even considers purchasing a Hoover.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I bought a Hoover UH72630 Windtunnel 3 High performance. The latch that hold the bottom canister came off and I called Hoover and they were very abrupt about not cover a dirt cup assembly. When I looked at their warranties it doesn't cover bags, lights or belts. Well this is bagless and they won't cover their products when it malfunctions. So here is to Hoover. You suck. I advise anyone that buys a Hoover don't not unless it’s a cheap one so you don't mind threw 30.00 away. When you spend 200.00 you expect more than a, "Well we got another sucker."

Original review: July 23, 2018

I argued with my husband about not buying a cordless stick vac for weeks. I finally gave in and we bought one. ABSOLUTELY loved it, then within a year of buying it, it quits working. I have looked for receipt, contacted Hoover and went to Target where I bought it (like Hoover said) with no luck of getting the receipt. Contacted Hoover several times and tried to get it fixed and they refuse to even discuss that with me. I have always liked Hoover but after spending $200 and not even getting a year's worth out of my vac, I will never by Hoover again and I will make sure I share my dissatisfactory with anyone looking to buy a vacuum.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I had a Dirt Devil Breeze for 25 yrs. It finally broke down after a lifetime of messes and dirt. I tried to replace my "dirt devil" but oh my gosh the new ones are more trouble than the cost for sure. After two attempts to replace my vacuum with a "dirt devil" both machines ended up being taken back to the store. I thought I was really going to have a challenge finding a proper vacuum. WELL!! I thought wrong! I seen an ad on Amazon for a Hoover canister bag-less vacuum w/ power-head for carpet and floors. I took a chance that this machine would perform better than my previous vacuum had. AGAIN, WELL!! This Hoover machine out-performed in every way. Strong suction, light-weight, easy-to-use, strong power-head, great for carpets, great for pet hair and last but not least really easy to empty. I give this Vacuum an 11 outta 10. Great job Hoover!!! My floors and carpets are cleaner than ever.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I have been a housekeeper for 25 years. I did a lot of research before buying the Hoover Windtunnel 3. I found out it has 3 air chambers to keep it from clogging the filters as fast. The Shark, Dyson, and Eureka vacuums only have 1 air chamber. They clog up fast, requiring constant emptying of the canister, and the filter too often. I give the Hoover Windtunnel 3 5 stars all across the board.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Efficient but the Cleaner is very noisy, a tad on the heavy side for a slender or more Senior woman this could be an issue. But cleans good and has many good tools.

Original review: May 9, 2018

Hoover has great suction power, easy to push. But I get upset at times when canister won’t stay locked. I still haven’t been able to get to be more steady. Best for bad back.

Original review: May 8, 2018

It is an upright. It has no attachments. It did not cost as much as the more expensive models. It is too heavy to carry upstairs. Bags are expensive too.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Hoover Elite is affordable and sleek with a self-wind cord pick up could be better but for under a 100 bucks it does the job. Also has bagless and accessories.

Original review: May 7, 2018

The only reason for not give them 5 is because there is not too much places in Mexico where I can buy filters. I bought it 7 years ago and, so for me the performance is great, sometimes I used for industrial purpose.

Hoover expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Hoover is a large manufacturing company that has been making vacuum cleaners since 1908. The American segment of the company was owned by the Whirlpool Corporation until 2006.

• Free shipping: All vacuums sold through Hoover's website include free shipping.

• Diverse designs: Hoover has a range of designs, including upright, canister and stick vacuum options.

• Affordable prices: Most Hoover vacuum cleaners cost less than 500 dollars.

• Numerous attachments: Consumers who purchase Hoover vacuums can expect numerous attachments that help them clean upholstery, vehicles and stairs.

• Best for: Hoover makes durable vacuums that homeowners, renters, landlords and drivers should find useful.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs