Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
1.23/5
Based on 150 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Hoover Vacuum Cleaners

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 12, 2018

246 Hoover Vacuum Cleaners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I bought a Hoover Vacuum and it constantly overheats. I spent a lot of money on crap! I would save your money and not buy! I can't believe how I can't even finish my vacuuming. I have to wait another 30 mins for it to turn back on! Who wants to sit around for a half hour to finish cleaning. I know I sure don't! Never again will I buy this product! And customer service didn't help and just hung up on me. Grrrrr...

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Unreal, nothing but problems since Jan 8, 2018. Clog light is on, the brush sensor does not work, rollers would stop and go and stop and go. The roller stopped working. There was hardly anything on the roller that could have gummed it up. Very unhappy with this product, I cant even find the model and serial number on it.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

Calling this a pet vacuum is a joke. We have a German Shepherd that sheds a lot. I have to not only clean out the cup every few minutes, but also reach into the suction area to pull the hair out. It's a bad design - where the hair gets sucked in and down into the cup is not nearly enough room for it to pass through. Also, the attachments are hard to take on and off, and the collection cup and filter are too small. I previously owned the Hoover Air Cordless, but it stopped working, so my husband bought me the REACT Cordless Pet Vacuum for Christmas. The Air Cordless was far superior. It never got clogged; the collection cup was large; it had 2 large filters and 2 batteries! I truly miss it.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I bought Hoover WindTunnel2 Elite upright bagless vacuum from Walmart located in Valley Ranch, Irving, TX, in September 2017 and its roller brush stopped working in Dec 2017. My usage is limited to a small living room only. In 3 months this stopped all of a sudden. Took it to a repair shop and he replaced the belt saying that the belt has a slight burn mark so it would have stopped. Then again in 2 days of getting it repaired it stopped working again. I ordered Hoover original belts from Amazon to replace the belt that I got 2 days ago and see if it works, but nope...it didn't work!!! I checked the suction hose which is clear and no blockage. I am very disappointed with this product.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

We bought a Hoover Whole house Windtunnel 2 channels of suction. After two weeks we lost vacuum, I called a representative who went through the same procedure with me again, and still didn't work, she asked us to take it to their service agent 100 miles away at our expense. I refused, and called back a week later to be told the same story, 2 weeks later I tried head office, a lady told me they don't fix things at head office, contact Best Buy and they will sort it out. I had already contacted them first, they said all warranty work is done by Hoover. We only fix things if you bought an extended warranty from us. We have a useless Hoover that we can't get fixed without driving a 100 miles at our expense, and there is no redress? In Europe all electrical equipment is covered for 3 or 5 years by law and they have to replace or refund by law. Why are we getting such a bad deal from manufacturers in the USA?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hoover?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I purchased a Hoover Linx 2 months ago. It worked for a couple of times and then quit working. Their service warranty is not very valuable at all. I have spent hours on the phone and they believe it is the battery. I had to return it at my expense and only then will they send a new one out.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

My 2nd cleaner from Hoover the motor died 22 months. I replaced it with this. You can't even tell I cleaned the 5x5 foot area. I stopped cause why bother killing my back. The cons are you can't see the machine picking up, the spinning brushes don't do diddly squat (my last one had a roller brush which I believe picked up the pile and the cleaning solution therefore went into the carpet instead of laying the solution and rinse on the surface), it's heavier than the last machine.

Don't waste your money or time. This is my third and I'm returning it. Spent 2 hours on the phone with Hoover and they are the worst company I've ever dealt with. The drying heat is a nice addition as before I used 20 dry strokes and my carpet was dry usually 12-18 hours. The spin brushes are useless on their own. Or perhaps there aren't enough of them. The path is too narrow which means more effort to cover the same area as my older ones. I'm 5'4" and the handle is low even for me as well as the spray release gets in the way when trying to do dry strokes. I think I'm done with Hoover for good.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I have to vent my extreme disappointment in #Hoover. I purchased a Hoover SpinScrub 50 at the end of June. Just to back up a moment this purchase was totally unnecessary. I had a machine that an incompetent customer service rep told me was done, my brother took it apart and tightened something near the scrubber. It has been working perfectly since. This morning I went to use the hose accessory part and the machine is not pumping water. I am now expected to drive 30 miles to an authorized repair store to find out what is wrong. This is the third time I am using the machine since purchase and I am extremely annoyed, this company deserves a minus 10 rating.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I use this vacuum for my floors and I love/loved it! I called Hoover when I first purchased my BH50110 cordless vacuum cleaner because one of the batteries died, they sent me a new one right away. I called again last week because my vacuum won't stay on. I went through all of the troubleshooting with the rep over the phone. The problem is in the motor. She tells me I have a 5 year warranty -- but she can't send me the part directly. She wants me to take it to a service center and have them look at it, so they can diagnose it. Well didn't we just do that?? But here's the catch - You have to have your receipt for the warranty coverage. Good thing we paid on a credit card and I can get a bank statement for proof of purchase. The manufacture date code G14A tells them I am within warranty. Nothing like running through hoops to get this fixed! Poor customer service for Hoover.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Paid over $200 for this new unit. Out of the box battery dead and it won't charge when put in charger. Round and Round with Hoover Customer Service. They did nothing to resolve. They started deleting my post on FB. No wonder Dyson and Shark have kicked their rear ends. They act like they want to help but do not honor their warranty. Run don't walk from buying a Hoover vacuum.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

Hoover INC is by far the worst company to purchase vacuum cleaners. I purchased a vacuum cleaner (Vacuum Cleaner model UH72511) from Target. Worked fine for a while. Stop working properly. No suction. Called company. Referred me to repair shop. Took and was fixed. Now again with the same problem. Today repair shop says they no longer work with HOOVER and will not fix the vacuum cleaner. Hoover can take my money and sell me a vacuum cleaner with a 5 year warranty that useless to me. By the way vacuum has about a year of use. Thievery...

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Purchased a vacuum a week ago and used it twice and it stopped working. It wasn't picking up anything. I checked everything, took vacuum apart, cleaned filters and still wouldn't work. I called customer care where I waited 25 minutes with no answer so I decided to go online. I talked with a man who said I needed to take the vacuum to a Hoover service center. I informed him that the closest service center was over an hour away, he didn't care and said that's where it needs to go to be serviced. I told him, "Thanks for your time but I will just return the item to the store and pick a different brand", he said, "Thanks for contacting Hoover." They clearly do not care about the customers, I am just one. Maybe I didn't purchase a good enough vacuum for them to even worry about but either way I returned the vacuum that did not work and went with a Bissell. I wouldn't recommend Hoover to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I found that this company (Hoover Vacuums) was the worst that I've had to deal with in the last 50 years. I bought a new Hoover Vacuum cleaner and found a broken piece on the lid of the canister the first time I used it. Ask customer service for a replacement under the warranty. I was told to send the receipt of purchase which I did. (And picture) Then I was told I had to get replacement part through a local dealer and not through them. The company itself would not repair or replace it even under the warranty. Then I found out that the part was even no longer being manufactured. I wrote to the company CEO, customer service and the public relations officer and they have never even had the courtesy to write back. MY RECOMMENDATION, DO NOT PURCHASE ANY HOOVER PRODUCT.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Hoover Vacuum customer Service "Mary" - Purchased a Hoover Vacuum from Hoover.com. When it came parts we're missing to assemble Vacuum. After 1 hour and 7 minutes on phone request for a supervisor over 11 times. She refused. She transferred call and in between said, "This woman is a raving **," to other person near them.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I had bought Hoover Vacuum from Walmart and it have 5 years manufacturer warranty and I put with Walmart 3 years insurance material and labor. Just after two years, my Hoover vacuum Clung and no more working. I called Hoover and they refer me to Bank Vacuum after they verify the warranty. Two days later they call me and said nothing covered by the warranty nor the issuance. It is damage not defect. They required me to pay a $90 to fix the motor and clean it in addition to replace filters. I paid for this vacuum $200. And it worth nothing, when I call Hoover customer service their answer was (YOU NEED TO READ THE (500 PAGES) MANUAL BEFORE YOU BUY THE VACUUM). I really waste my money and my time call them. So If you need to waste your money and then spend more money with no precept go ahead and buy Hoover product.

Original review: July 7, 2017

I purchased a Hoover and it broke quickly in less than 6 months. Hoover told me to take it to the local shop to be repaired and would probably be covered under warranty. The part was not, even though the repair shop said the vacuum was in excellent shape and there was no appearance of misuse. What a complete disappointment. Hoover is not standing by their quality claims. Why should I buy a part that will not last another 6 months? Better for me to just buy a different vacuum from a better brand. I won't buy Hoover again.

Original review: July 6, 2017

The Main issue causing the problem is hair and dirty getting clogged in the hose and the clear face inside just above the spinning brush. The hose connects at to sites from the base to the body of the vacuum and the end of the hose to the body or to vacuum attachments. The hose (which otherwise seems very high quality and made with good materials) has problems clogging at the base before entering the catch basin. Removing debris from the hose is challenging. Equally challenging and time consuming is the need to remove the pet hair and debris clogging the suction just above the spinning brush. Basically the "Pet" vacuum has trouble handling pet hair. There may not be a great solution except that the company could design and include a "pipe cleaner" type of device to unclog these areas. They need cleaning about every other use... So it's a resolution is quite needed.

Original review: June 24, 2017

Air lift deluxe vacuum - This vacuum needs to be recalled... First I have only had it for 6 months, it will be returned to Walmart today. First thing is the motor that spins the brush to actually clean your floors fast, stopped working correctly after using twice a day for 5 months, yes I've been using it for a month taking 30 min at a time. Going over the same spot over and over. Sometimes it works when it wants to and only when I'm pulling the vacuum backwards. I have to vacuum... And who wants to spend another $150 or more plus tax on a good vacuum when they just did a few months ago.

So anyways called Hoover, I was told to take it back to the store or to a repair center which is 30 min from my home. Well today the handle snapped off... WT heck. How does that even happen. I will just return this and get a different brand. Also the vacuum is not sold in stores anymore... I wonder why? Humm. Too many people returning the poorly made items.

Original review: May 28, 2017

I got the Windtunnel UH30310 a year ago and have been very disappointed with the continual breakage of the belts. I've read all about there being two models (of the Pet variety) but regardless of which belt I use it continues to break after two uses. I have also checked the things that enable the brush to roll and they are fine. I have noticed many others (on Amazon and elsewhere) seem to be in a twilight zone trying to find a belt that actually works for more than one or two uses. These things are not cheap when having to buy them every month or so. I love the suction on the sweeper and have other minor complaints but having to pop the thing open after 2 uses and replace yet another belt is ridiculous.

Original review: May 28, 2017

Bought the Hoover Airlift 1 year ago. Hate having to take everything apart to wash it and clean it out. Roller brush spins only when pulling vacuum backwards. Watched all the videos, did as they said and still doesn't work. Emailed Hoover and they said warranty good for 6 months and gave me list of vendors to repair it. I am guessing it would cost more to fix the vacuum than to repair it. I would certainly think a vacuum should last for more than a year. We had an old Kenmore upright that lasted 15 years. It was heavy but worked great. No more Hoovers for us.

Original review: May 16, 2017

Hoover Vacuum Cleaner Air Steerable WindTunnel Bagless. It blew up on me after 6 months of light use. Purchased it on Amazon. That was the first mistake since they don't honor the warranty. Hoover sent me to a local rep who said that it will take 4 weeks to determine if it qualifies for "repair due to manufacturing defects." Not sure what happens after that. But my advice is don't buy this product and don't buy anything from Amazon that might need to be returned.

Original review: May 9, 2017

Bought the new React model Uh73100 self-adjusting sensor floor vacuum. Started vacuuming my hardwood floors and it worked fine but when I moved onto the carpet, things weren't right. The self-adjusting floor sensor sensed that I moved to the carpet which is of medium thickness, and beater brush was activated, but after vacuuming for 10 seconds the beater brush shut off and red light came on. Made several attempts but same thing kept happening. On/off sensor switch did not work. I called Hoover customer service for advice but was kept on hold for over 30 minutes with no response, so decided to e-mail company. Left my concerns but no response. Customer service is very very poor or non-existent. Made another attempt to operate vacuum with no success so boxed it up and returned to the store. I will never buy another Hoover product ever. Poor quality control.

Original review: May 1, 2017

This is the 3rd Hoover I bought and they all keep losing suction after about a week of using and then they just shut off on their own... I was laid back about it at first figuring I just got some faulty sweeper. Luck of the draw... But no it's not just a random bad sweeper. This happens to all of the ones I got. After trying to vacuum about 10 min ago and basically getting nowhere with it I decided to write this complaint. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THESE!!! It's a shame that companies run business this way these days... I remember my parents having one sweeper and it lasted my entire childhood and then some. Not these days and it's a shame. Steal our money pretty much and give a handful of junk.

Original review: April 15, 2017

My central vacuum is out of service since 2 months and that's the third time it happen. The company keep saying that the broken part is back order and nobody answer to my complaint even if the people at the service swear that I will received a phone call the day after. Completely rotten. Never again.

Original review: April 1, 2017

I love this little vacuum! It's very light and maneuverable yet picks up like a big vac! It has no attachments but it does a good job of picking up even along the edges of rooms, on floors and carpets. The handle flattens down very close to the floor so you can get the vacuum head under beds and furniture. It has a very long and pliable cord so you can do a large room without unplugging and moving the cord. I have a bad back and pushing a full size vac is difficult for me. This one is great and easy to carry up and down stairs. I liked it so much. I bought a second one for our camper. It's small enough so I can store it under the bed in the camper.

Original review: March 8, 2017

Bought an upright wind tunnel, put it together myself, Husband had a major stroke and I needed a vacuum. 2 years in, the on/off switch just stopped working altogether. I've had to use a strong screwdriver to knock the switch, just to run it. Now, nothing! Vacuum works fine, but no on/off switch! Just I bought a cheap Bissell and it works just fine, even better. But I love the weight and features of the Hoover, will NEVER buy another Hoover!

Original review: March 6, 2017

I bought this last year after being conned into buying it at £2.000. I very rarely use it as it's useless. Last week I got it out switched it on, and it switched itself off. It does this all the time now. Tried ringing the company but nobody answers the phone. This is absolutely no good to me, as I'm still paying for it & it don't work. DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE, you have been warned.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

In September 2016 we purchased an awesome Hoover Sprint QuickVac Bagless Upright Vacuum, (UH20040 - Corded). Hands down, best vacuum we'd ever had -- and for under $40, best value we had ever seen! Beginning of December, it stopped working. We purchase and keep items literally for decades, and are very aware of best practices for maintenance. I read the manual, online troubleshooting, checked every inch for any clogs, but all was clean. We had emptied the collector and filter after every use, and had fewer than 60 minutes on the machine itself, with normal household use. I searched for Warranty repair options, and was given a local place to take it. Hoover - up to this point, your part was "stellar"!!

I took our sweeper, a copy of our receipt (dated), contact information to: Clean Sweep Vacuum And Sewing, 208 U.S. Hwy 1 N, North Palm Beach, FL 33408. A less than enthusiastic person received our sweeper and info, giving me a claims ticket. Said we'd get a call. After 4-5 weeks, I stopped by & was told it'll take 7-8 weeks.

After 8 weeks, I called but phone got cut off and my attempts to immediately redial was met with voice mail - several times. 9th week - I called, leaving yet another voicemail. I finally got a return call, telling me that my sweeper was clogged, therefore required repair, $40 for one part and that's when I stopped them from going further. Explaining that I looked through the sweeper, seeing no clog, I was told I wouldn't be able to see it. What? And I was told that my warranty had expired and that she had my receipt right there, so it would require repair anyway. I explained my purchase was September 2016, to which I was told was incorrect, and that until I called all they had was an address, which was why they didn't call.

Well USPS still operates, but no attempt to send a postcard was made either. So, I was to pay for repair I had not approved, and would not be able to receive my sweeper back unless I were to pay their bill, which was more than the sweeper itself! I told them to keep the damn thing, to which they replied, they'd throw it away. Right. I am sure it will show up in their showroom along with the other 150 used, repaired sweepers from other customers they have scammed the same way they scammed me. TAKE THIS PLACE OFF YOUR LIST!!! They represent you horribly!! I would have rather shipped my sweeper to China, paying shipping myself than to have dealt with the rudeness and lack of professionalism of this place! Now I'm out a great sweeper and 100% of my patience.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

Below is a complaint I tried to post in the comments section of Hoover's Website. They rejected it, saying that it did not meet their guidelines. Their guidelines apparently mean "praise."

I live in Mexico. Bought Hoover Wind Tunnel 3 Pet Vacuum Cleaner about four years ago. After a few months it started making a loud noise and losing suction. No warranty centers in this area, so I brought it back to Costco and got another. After a few months the belt broke. Bought new belts for it through a friend visiting from the States. After a few more months the same thing happened as with the first one: loud noise and loss of suction, and also for no reason the hinge on the dirt cup broke. I corresponded with Hoover via email for a while, and sent photos of the machine's ID tag with serial and model numbers on it. Customer rep then asked me for a video so she could hear the noise for herself, and that's when I gave up. Asking for a video is absurd. We don't all have the means to provide one. If the company is going to sell its products in Mexico it has an obligation to provide a way to honor its warranty.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

I have a Hoover floormate. I have used it monthly but not daily and have had it about 1 year. Today I tried to use it and it didn't work. I stayed on hold with Hoover for over an hour! I have all the purchase information but I do not have the receipt for the purchase. I'm not super organized but I kept all of my warranties in a file. Cassandra told me I had to have the receipt for the warranty or else it is void. So I guess I'm SOL, next time I will buy a Bissell!

Hoover expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Hoover is a large manufacturing company that has been making vacuum cleaners since 1908. The American segment of the company was owned by the Whirlpool Corporation until 2006.

• Free shipping: All vacuums sold through Hoover's website include free shipping.

• Diverse designs: Hoover has a range of designs, including upright, canister and stick vacuum options.

• Affordable prices: Most Hoover vacuum cleaners cost less than 500 dollars.

• Numerous attachments: Consumers who purchase Hoover vacuums can expect numerous attachments that help them clean upholstery, vehicles and stairs.

• Best for: Hoover makes durable vacuums that homeowners, renters, landlords and drivers should find useful.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

hoover.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use