1.37/5
Based on 31 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a home improvement contractor?

Porch

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experienceDissatisfied with the experienceSatisfied with the experienceHappy with the experienceWould recommend to a friend
    Last updated: April 17, 2018

36 Porch Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 17, 2018

My mother went through Porch.com to get a carpenter to refinish her hardwood floors for her. Porch.com assigned her an individual by the name of Chris **. Mr. ** was informed from the beginning that we needed to have our floors done within a two to three week time period. He said he could do it and promised he would have the floors completed within a week and a half. He verbally promised he would have them done last Wednesday (April 11). During the time that Mr. ** has begun his work for us, he has began work but has refused to finish the job. He quoted us that the job would cost $1200 and we agreed to pay him at the end of job completion. We have given him, at his request, approximately $450 to get materials. As of today, the job is still not completed.

During the two weeks since we hired him, Mr. ** would often work sporadically, saying he would come and then not ever showing up on some days. When my older mother would tell him she was concerned that he wasn’t going to finish the job Because of his frequent absences and hire someone else to finish, he would intimidate her by saying he “was going to get paid one way or another.” As of recently he was supposed to come yesterday (Monday April 16) to finish work and did not show up. She has texted and called him asking when she should expect him to return to work and he does not respond.

I am very concerned that Porch.com is connecting people who need work in their homes completed to individuals who are taking deposits from innocent customers with no expectation to complete the work. I hope Porch.com is thoroughly investigating contractors before connecting them to customers and sending them out to their homes. I’m afraid that this is not happening and would like to know what process is taking place from Porch.com to do this. I would also like to know that there are repercussions in place so that Mr. ** no longer is sent on referral from Porch.com to another person’s home to take a deposit without completing the work.

Original review: April 13, 2018

We have used Porch for over a year now and continued to provide feedback to help them improve their systems. Unfortunately we have found that they are not going to change because they require the confusion in the lead quality and refunding in order to get paid. Porch claims they have "partners" who provide them with leads. Porch "buys" those leads from their "partners" then sells them to contractors (3-5 at a time). The contractors call the lead to earn the work. All of our leads are put into a CRM that helps us track the lead quality and we have found that over 70% of the leads are invalid. On most of those invalid leads we are told that they have no idea why we are calling them, they have not filled out information or requested anyone call them for work. Then we need to go through Porch to get a "refund". Those refunds are at the discretion of Porch and do not come easily.

I have requested Porch to update their dashboard so that it is easier to track the leads so that we know which refund requests they have granted and which they have disapproved. We continue to get the same run around answer that the engineers are busy with other aspects. It should be a very simple thing, especially since they can see exactly how many times we reached out to the customer, when we reached out and how long the calls lasted.

I asked Porch if when we communicated to them that the customer told us they never filled out any information online and requested that we not contact them again if they refunded the other contractors that they charged for the same invalid lead but they do not because the customer may have lied to us about requesting the lead. That is have I realized that Porch only cares about making money, not about helping us to get quality leads, a service that I am happy to pay for. I do not understand what causes people to feel they have to cheat customers to get ahead!

Finally we concluded that Porch was not for us and requested to cancel our account. We were then told that we had to spend the balance of our account on their bogus leads (close to $1,000) and that they could not get a refund. I challenged this and a few minutes later I was told that I could get my money back minus the amount that I have been refunded, a number that they have yet to disclose to me. I took the time to write this review to keep my peers from wasting their time and money with Porch. My advice is that if you have a very strong tracking CRM in place give Porch a try. If you have this sophistication in place you are most likely not a cheap company and you will find that your competition is a less sophisticated entity that pushes price over quality/value.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Resolution In Progress
    Original review: April 9, 2018

I hired RC construction thru Porch and it has been the worst experience of my life. It started off with a promise of the owner and his brother painting my house which did not happen, from there it was excuses of employees not showing up, car stolen etc. It has taken 2 weeks and my home is still not finished, the first painter he sent must have just started painting that day because it was terrible so another contractor came in behind him to do proper paint job. My planters were broken and cracked in the process, the screens under my eaves have yet to be replaced, he broke my shutters and replaced them with an off color that doesn't match my trim but argued with me that they did and still didn't finish the job.

He was to show up Sunday to finish my door only to text later that it was too late, he then text the next morning and after a dispute he told me to keep the money I haven't paid and hire someone else. 5 hours after last text he told me I owe him $800 and that he was going to place a lien against my property since I refused to pay full price for incomplete job. I would not recommend this company to anyone, it has been so stressful for a project that I was so excited about doing and now wish I would have never started.

Leslie,

We are so sorry to hear about the experience you had with a pro you found through Porch. We would like to ensure this doesn't happen again, and will reach out to you directly to learn more.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: April 7, 2018

I had an appointment for March 31 @10 AM. No one came. I called the company 6 times. Each time I was sent to voicemail. Finally @ 3pm I get a call from the general manager "Diageo." He asked if I could reschedule till the next weekend. He'll give me a 10% discount, he claims the contractor had a loss in his family. I agreed, the next week two contractors called and one arrived to my house around 9:45. He asked me to sign paperwork which had a cost for $60.00 more than what I was told. We called Diageo and he told me he never spoke with me. Needless to say I lost it and I hung the phone up and sent the contractor away. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. THEY ARE A SCAM!!!

Robin,

We apologize for the experience you had with our services. We will reach out directly to get more information.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: April 3, 2018

I booked a handyman service for a 9am visit. What I got was an aggressive, unshaven guy wearing a Hawaiian shirt with a hangover with no evident skills, tools or experience rocking up 4 hours late. I would of been better picking someone up from outside Home Depot which to be honest is where they got this guy. There is zero vetting of who they use. He didn't do the job and lost critical spare parts and sat around in the sun for 2 hours. The job coordinator "Victor" has been impossible to contact although I have tried multiple times. Porch don't want to know and don't want to help. All they care about is charging you money. This is an unethical company and they don't care about customers in the slightest.

Ben,

We apologize for the initial experience you had with a pro in our network. Since that visit, we have worked with you to send out a new pro and complete your project. We appreciate your patience during the process and hope you will consider using Porch again in the future.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Porch?

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: March 30, 2018

This company takes people’s money for construction leads and gives you wrong information and wrong phone numbers. The people they refer you to have never even heard of PORCH!!! It’s a complete scam... BUSINESS OWNERS DON’T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!! They have sent me to 4 jobs that have no idea that they were in the website. I am going to make sure this company can’t rip anybody else off... And Lowes actually endorses this terrible company!!! Their customer service is non existent. They just put you on hold for 15 minutes and then hang up on you.

Richard,

We're sorry to hear you have not had a positive experience working with Porch. We will reach out directly for more information.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Here's hoping for the best. I had an appointment confirmation with Porch this morning for a kitchen floor install. Yet no one showed, I called to confirm it was still happening and was assured it was the first two calls. The next two calls resulted with confirmation of a return call of an ETA. The next call resulted in a voicemail. Now my call was returned with an offer of 15% off along with an offer to reschedule. I was told I would get a call back to confirm the reschedule time decided upon. Nothing yet. I purchased tiles at Lowe's and was referred to Porch for install. I flew in from AZ to be present at my Grandma's for the install. Now I am afraid I will have to return to work in AZ after failing to accomplish the reason I flew in.

Here's hoping for the best. I had an appointment confirmation with Porch this morning for a kitchen floor install. Yet no one showed, I called to confirm it was still happening and was assured it was the first two calls. The next two calls resulted with confirmation of a return call of an eta. The next call resulted in a voicemail. Now my call was returned with an offer of 15% off along with an offer to reschedule. I was told I would get a call back to confirm the reschedule time decided upon. Nothing yet. I purchased tiles at Lowes and was referred to Porch for install. I flew in from AZ to be present at my Grandma's for the install. Now I am afraid I will have to return to work in AZ after failing to accomplish the reason I flew in.

Jennifer,

We are sorry to hear that this time-sensitive project was delayed. We hope that the project has now been completed and will reach out directly to discuss further.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Purchased an attic ladder from Lowe's and the installation services from Porch.com through Lowe's. What a disaster! After Porch.com had rescheduled the handyman 5 times he finally showed. He had no experience installing an attic ladder and had to watch a YouTube video first. Furthermore, this is a two person job so he needed my help, or Porch.com indicated I would have to pay for another person. In removing the old ladder, I was almost struck with the old ladder as it crashed down from the ceiling. Furthermore, he destroyed part of the ceiling drywall in the process. I asked if he would fix his damage and he indicated only at extra cost and that "I should expect damage to occur during a demolition project".

The ladder was installed crooked, resulting in us having to repair the ceiling with duct tape. The ladder installation is still a disaster and I am afraid to use it. He never cleaned up his mess, and the cost was twice the estimate. Porch.com offered to have the same guy come back, but I indicated that I could not afford any more damage. Also there is no way to report this on either the Porch.com or Lowe's website. I will never use Porch.com again, and I avoid shopping at Lowe's ever since.

Jim,

We apologize for the experience you had with a pro from our network. We will reach out directly to get more information.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: March 27, 2018

I had arranged for one of Porch.com's handyman to install an attic ladder. I booked the appointment a week earlier and waited for them to arrive the scheduled day. They did not show up on the arranged time so I called Porch.com and they said they had the appointment and confirmed it but did not schedule anyone for the job. They never called me to let me know they were not going to show up and wasted a lot of my time. I will never use them again and would not recommend them to anyone.

Bradford,

We are sorry to hear this has been your experience with Porch. We've contacted you directly to get more information.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: March 23, 2018

I scheduled a wall mounted dog door install. The day prior to my appointment time, a representative with Porch.com called to confirm the appointment. The appointment time came and passed, so I called Porch.com. After jumping through some hoops, Porch.com contacted the contractor scheduled to do the service. The contractor "Tony" apparently lied and said he was unable to reach me via telephone the previous day (I had my phone with me and there was no voicemail message left). Porch.com responded by offering service on the following day. I told Porch.com that I was unavailable the following day. After a couple phone calls, "Tony" agreed to come to my home later in the afternoon. I accepted that offer.

Well, "Tony" never showed up in the afternoon. Porch.com called me and offered to reschedule once again for the following day. I declined. Though I don't think this is Porch.com's direct fault, they have a responsibility to contract with responsible/ reliable people. Hopefully Porch.com removes "Tony" from their contractor list.

Brady,

We apologize for your experience with one of our pros, as this is not typical or the experience we aim to provide homeowners. We've contacted you directly to get more information so we can ensure this does not happen in the future.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I am owner of a remodel/repair company. I had an issue where our leads stop coming to us and Porch gave me quick and fair resolution. They are improving the quality of their leads when a lead is poor and justifiable for a credit. So I like their customer service and their leads are improving. We've landed $120,000 of work through them in just over a year.

Original review: March 19, 2018

This company is Advertising with my business name. They are listing their phone number below the listing. I have called them to remove my listing from their website and they refused. They do not have my permission to use my business name for their advertising purposes especially if they are using their phone number below it. I am not getting the business from this listing. They are the ones getting the benefits from using my business name. As far as I am concerned this is stealing!!!

Porch response

Thank you for letting us know, Gary. The Porch directory lists publicly available information to provide homeowners access to professionals that can help them with their projects. We'd be happy to help get things fixed if there is incorrect information listed for your business. We will follow up with you directly to get this resolved.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Had them assemble a chest. Worker was rough with parts. When assembled showed us scratches on front but said it must be manufacturer. If so why would he have not inspected and found prior to assembly. We had to return unit to store but are out the assembly fee. Plus they have a two hour $160 minimum. We could have hired a local worker for $50 to do this. They are overpriced and have poor customer service.

Original review: March 10, 2018

Hired a sub that came from Porch. His quote was 'too good to be true' so I contacted them for a review. They said their work is guaranteed. The sub did terrible work - it would not pass inspection and he ran off with my money without fixing it. Porch said, "Sorry, our guarantee does not cover the quality of the work". They DO NOT vet their subs. Also got a plumber from them whose work was bad. They don't care. Selling leads is their game. Their subs pay $65 to Porch per lead they accept. Porch does not care what happens after that. It's a joke.

Original review: March 10, 2018

We lost over 30k in contracts due to reviews posted to Porch this week. When I tried to dispute reviews their website wouldn't allow access. Porch posted these defamatory statements without notifying me of their existence. Then they solicit their contractors as they've posted unverified and uncontested slander.

Original review: March 8, 2018

So frustrated with contractors from Porch.com. They were sent to put up a backsplash for my recently widowed mother. The job was so poorly done, she asked them to leave. Unfortunately, this was after she had paid nearly $1200. She was charged 11 hours overtime at $60 an hour for this work. The small section (about 3'x3') that was actually completed has holes with sheetrock showing through. The rest of her kitchen is undone. We have asked for help for three weeks from this company which "guarantees" its work. The only thing offered has been to send the original worker out to finish the job.

Original review: March 5, 2018

The unprofessional man who showed up answered three phone calls while on my time. Wasted time going back and forth to his truck (on the phone) and left ALL the trash and packing material from the job on the floor of my garage. The job took one hour although he dragged it out for an hour and a half huffing and puffing about... Then had the nerve to charge me for two hours time! When I asked him to continue working since I paid for two hours, he replied “It DONT work like that”. And he left! I HAD USED DONE.COM 7 TIMES IN 2017 with excellent service, since they were bought by Porch I gave them a try... NEVER AGAIN... BEWARE.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I hired Porch to have a drip pan installed under our washer and dryer. The repairman did not hook the washer back up. We contacted Porch several times over 48 hours and was given the runaround. They kept referring us to other people and the people were unable to send someone back out. On top of all that, the repairman did not stay the full two hours as I had paid for saying he had been asked to do too much for the first service.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

On Tuesday, February 20th, two painters retained via this service arrived at commercial interior site in Chicago, Il. Project description: Paint ceiling and two walls at commercial space. Less than 1000 square feet. Fee: $529 for 4 hours. Two hours later, the painter called to inform that it's going to take more than four hours to paint just the ceiling. Immediately, I dismissed the painters because I knew the painters were purposely being slow to extend the painting cost etc. In addition, the painter arrived an hour late and I understand from the Manager took more time talking than working etc. In two hours, there was only a corner of the ceiling painted and paint was all over the floor. No drop cloths were used to protect the floor.

I was charged $200 for absolutely nothing. I informed "Victor" a representative who contacted me for payment that this was totally unacceptable and I feel I was scammed. This painter knew he was not capable or professional for this painting assignment. I am requesting my $200 refund returned to my Visa credit card. I am prepared to dispute this via small claims court, inform Better Business Bureau and notified my Visa about this erroneous and fraudulent charge.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I ordered a resin cabinet for my pool area online and was directed to Porch.com to put it together. They contacted me very quickly and we settled on a date of 12/21/17. The tech arrived on the date, (although about 1 1/2 hour late). She proceeded to put the cabinet together and in the process broke it in 2 places because she was not reading the instructions correctly and tried to put it together wrong and then she actually tried to fix it with glue, which obviously did not work (see pictures). It is now 2/1 and I am still trying to get this resolved with Porch.com and the tech. I have an unusable cabinet just sitting there. Many texts and phone calls to them and getting the runaround. I would definitely not recommend them at all!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

After purchasing drapes from West Elm, I chose to have a representative from Porch contact me to schedule installation. Over the next few days, a Porch agent reached out to me and we scheduled a time and date. So far, so good! On the scheduled date and time, no one showed up. I called the Porch.com customer service line who told me that they had no record of any interaction, even after I read verbatim emails from Porch.com and provided the name and email address of the person I had been talking with. They then told me that I didn’t understand how their service worked and they couldn’t be responsible for whether or not anyone actually showed up. Terrible experience.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I was supposed to be contacted through Install Inc. to reschedule my assembly but my numerous emails and phone messages went unanswered by Amanda **. So I went through HomeAdvisor and ended up with Porch.com but got an appointment scheduled and had a call from the assembled within an hour. The last job I had them do was excellent.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

Bought from Overstock.com & they referred to Porch as their installation affiliate. I booked their services for my mattresses for Mon 12/04/17 at 2:pm. They called me the Sun 9:30 to see if I would change Mon at 11am. I changed my schedule to accommodate them. They were a no show. Booked a new appt Tues 3pm. They were a no show. A 4th confirmed appt on Thurs sent only 1 guy who couldn't do the job (carrying a mattress and box spring upstairs and removing old set) alone. A 5th confirmed appt on Fri was cancelled when I called back and there was no one present to take my confirmation, but I was assured I was confirmed for Sat. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, I was told there were none.

When I asked to speak to someone in the executive office I was told they have no access to it. When I asked them to give me the main office number, I was told he didn't have it. When I insisted, he said OK, but only switched to Gabriel, who cancelled my order saying they were unable to accommodate my area. Why didn't say that in the first place? And what kind of company has no supervisors and no main office. There was NO ONE to follow-up any apps and I wasted a full week of my time on what looks to me like a scam! Shame on Overstock and Lowe's! I thought you were more professional than to tie yourselves to such a disreputable company!!!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I am the owner of Premier Building Solutions of NWF LLC and have been in business for 33 years. Porch advertise my business on their site without my consent and I have contacted them on multiple occasions to remove the information. They insist that I opened the site and that I'm the only one that can take it down but yet there's no way to delete a site once it's put up on Porch dot-com. The information that they have posted on my company's name is 70% and correct and lists jobs that I allegedly do that require a specific license that I do not have.

Once again I've contacted them on multiple occasions. They tell me that they will not remove it because the public has a right to know the information since it is public information even knowing that it is incorrect information. I have turn this over to my attorneys. Anybody wanting to get in on the lawsuit feel free to contact me at my office at **. Once again they have refused to do anything about it. I have emails also. All communications have been surrendered to my attorney.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Eight days ago, I accessed a website for someone to install and replace a new dog door. Someone from PORCH called me within an hour and we discussed the specifics of the project. A time and day was confirmed for this past Saturday. At some point during the week, I received a text from someone identifying himself as the person who will be coming to install my dog door and he confirmed, in the text, the time and day previously agreed upon. He requested I contact him to review a few details. I tried to call him multiple times but got a customer service rep instead. He assured me he would have the person contact me. It was nearing the end of the day and I had not heard. I called PORCH and they said they would see what was going on and call me back. They didn't. I called again and was told the person was in L.A., "having knee surgery so he wanted to postpone the job until this Monday”.

I was not happy. I received several other phone calls, confirming this person's commitment to getting my project done today, in addition to an email of the same. No one called, no one came. The "project manager" called me to say that he spoke with the handyman personally and he was coming, no one called and no one came. I am very busy. My time to get home projects completed in limited. I wasted 8 days, trusting the PORCH would get my project done. TWICE - TWICE, they blew me off! No dog door. Two big dogs, vermin chomping at the bit to get through the torn flap on the old dog door. What a nightmare. DO NOT EVER USE PORCH.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

We recently used Porch to have 8 shutters installed on the front of our house. Let me start by saying that only 4 are actually on, and only 3 are actually installed somewhat properly. Emphasis on somewhat. We have a stucco sided house and stated that in our initial request. We also stated we have 2 stories. The HIGHLY UNQUALIFIED individual who showed up through porch.com did not have a ladder nor sufficient equipment to drill into the side of our house. We were charged for equipment rental and extra drill bits on top of Porch's fee. This job did not get finished and the person they contracted basically scammed us and as a result our "contract" with Porch was voided. Porch does nothing to vet out the people they are sending to your house and they will likely not be qualified to complete the task. As with other reviewers, we are having to pay more money now to fix this problem. SCAM, SCAM, SCAM.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

This company will hire anyone off the street and refer to them as a handyman. It's a scam and the handyman does not have the experience required to fix your problem. They made matters worse and damaged my dishwasher by trying to use cut boards to set my dishwasher and not brackets and bent all 4 legs back. See picture. I had to call a professional company to fix it and porch services. Said they couldn't cancel my payment. I had to call the bank and request to cancel it. I wouldn't ever use this company again!!!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Contacted Porch to replace bathroom faucets and shower handles. Person they sent was slow and obviously not qualified. After 7 hours he did manage to replace three faucets however he could not replace the shower handles and it appears that he has broken some pipes in the shower. Had to shut water off and call someone else. Porch charged me $474 and don't know how much more I will have to pay to fix what he messed up. Terrible experience. Don't waste your time or money on these scam artists.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

On 10/18, I booked a handyman for 10 hours for 10/21. I called to confirm on 10/19 and they had no record of my appointment. On Friday, I received 8 email confirmations for a 9 am start time. I called at 9:40 am and they said that they had it booked for 10 am and apologized for error. At 11 am I called again and rep mentioned that they called my work line at 10 am to confirm service as that's the number on file. They had no record of my call 1 hour before hand and stated that I was unresponsive. The rep was rude and overtalked me. He then asked if I wanted to reschedule. I told him to cancel the request.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

My goal was to have four ceiling fans installed in my home. I was going to have Lowe's do the job as they were the company who sold the fans. Unfortunately they recommended Porch. I contacted Porch and they recommended another group. I assumed the group was well vetted and trustworthy. Their website boasted that they had experts for the job. Needless to say, after six hours of frustration and only two fans installed with one that wasn't balanced, I told the experts I was done.

I appealed to the company only to be told I was in the wrong and that there was nothing that could be done. I understand that Porch did not do the work and can't be held responsible for someone else's work. They recommended these people and vouched that they could get the job done, but the job isn't done. After everything that has happened in August and September, looking for a group you can trust is paramount in the region after Hurricane Harvey. Unfortunately I can't recommend anyone placing their trust in this company to find an expert to help them as they may find themselves in the same position I am in with no concern from either party. Best of Luck.

Porch questions and answers

What problem is Porch trying to solve?
    We are trying to help people love their home by helping them care for, manage and buy/sell their home.
    What sets Porch apart from the competition?
    Our data. We are a data driven company with 3.2 million professionals and 130 million home improvement projects in our system. We are able to truly know who your neighbors and friends have used and loved.
    What needs do your products or services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
    We help homeowners connect to trusted reliable professionals that their neighbors and friends have used.
    How does Porch measure success?
    Delighting our customers is our number one goal. To date, we have raised over $100 million dollars, have a strategic partnership with Lowe's and our Porch Home Report is available on over 25,000 real estate websites.
    What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry? Your company?
    That reviews are gamed. We brought in verified reviews so that homeowners know that a certain professional did work on a specific home.
    How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
    Mobile has definitely changed the way people book services.
    What is something you wish every consumer knew about Porch?
    That we are helping small business professionals by taking away the work of marketing and letting them focus on what they love to do best.
    Has your business received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
    Our CEO was named USA TODAY Entrepreneur of the Year and we have been on Seattle's fastest growing companies list as well as Best Place to Work for Seattle Business.
    How has Porch grown or evolved?
    We were 25 employees and now we are over 400.

Porch Company Information