1.32/5
Based on 1,637 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a washer and dryer?

2765 Maytag Washers & Dryers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

DON'T BUY! We purchased the Maytag Bravos CMT about 3 years ago. After using it I was thoroughly disappointed in the HE technology as it used almost no water. I found that the Bulky Sheets cycle at least filled the tub 2/3 of the way so I started using it for everything. Unfortunately the machine has gone through 3 impellers at close to $100 ea. and now it has stopped washing once again. This will make the 4th impeller I've had to order bringing my total to almost $400 out of pocket after my initial purchase of $700. That's great Maytag, I've wasted $1,100 on a piece of junk you're responsible for manufacturing. Never again! DON'T BUY!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Like the other poor reviews here- this Bravos top load washer is the worst. So wish we had returned it!!! There is never enough water in the machine on normal cycle to get all the clothes wet so how in the world would anyone expect the clothes to get clean? Just ridiculous - and whoever invented this machine, plus those who tested it, need to have their head examined! Hate it so much.

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Buy this washer! It has the best features! No matter what the setting, your clothes will come out as dirty as you put them in, only with even more odor! I just cannot believe how many different settings they managed to program into this washer, each one delivering the same miserable results. I am so happy that I spent so much money on a washing machine, that in some cases, doesn't even get my clothes wet. Truly amazing technology!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I mistakenly purchased the Bravo XL top load washer. I only wish I could give it a zero rating. I have only tried to wash 3 loads of clothes. It is almost beyond belief that anyone could possibly think this could clean anything. My husband actually watched it “work”, and insists I call Maytag because they must have forgot a part! It does nothing but crumple/wad the middle items together and rub them...and only them...together. There is no movement of the outer items until it spins. Maybe Maytag should enlist people who actually do laundry to “test” the items they put their brand on. I know the government and the energy rules have added to the complex problem of buying something as simple as a washing machine...but this piece of junk is almost laughable to watch as it destroys your laundry. I’m almost embarrassed to let anyone know I bought it. Thankfully, I have 30 days in which to return it.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Maytag Bravos what a fail. I may as well have thrown 700$ out the window. At least I would have my old washer back. No matter how you slice it YOU CANNOT WASH CLOTHES WITHOUT WATER. Maytag company, what are you thinking making and marketing a machine like this. Sometimes there are even dry spots on my laundry. Seriously, how does a person start a class action lawsuit to get our money back. I can’t imagine anyone being happy with this machine.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maytag Washers & Dryers?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

After having a Maytag washer/dryer set that lasted 20 years, I decided to go with Maytag again. Big mistake! Centennial Dryer has already broke down and the parts, before the overcharged shipping, was over $100. I wish I had done some research. Maytag is no longer Maytag, it was purchased by Whirlpool. Hence the lack of quality. Not only that, I dislike doing business with heartless companies that just close shop & let loyal employees go while paying upper management fat severance pay. Then Whirlpool changed the vested lifetime benefits of the Maytag retirees. Will not buy another Maytag appliance and will never purchase a Whirlpool product.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I had a stackable Maytag dryer that was bought in 2016 but only used during the summer of 2017. Last May the dryer stopped heating. I contacted Maytag and they sent a repairman a week or so later. He identified the problem in the electronic control and ordered a replacement part. The part came and he installed it a week later. The part was faulty and he ordered a replacement for the replacement. It arrived a week later and also did not work. He said he had problems with replacement parts but contacted the technical service department at Maytag as he did the first time. The technical service person said there were problems associated with new software being not compatible with dryers in the last year and we needed a new control panel.

I contacted Maytag again waiting the usual hour to get through on the phone. They agreed to replace the parts for free and ordered a control panel that arrived a week later. The technician installed both parts but they did not work. I contacted Maytag again and after waiting the required hour talked to a person who said she would contact the department who could arrange a replacement. They contacted me a few days later and said they would supply a replacement for $250. This was delivered a week or so later but they did not have a stacking kit and returned to the delivery company with the dryer. A week later they returned with the stacking kit but forgot the dryer. A week later they returned with both the dryer and stacking kit but the installer (always a different person) said he was too big to get in the space behind the dryer and that the venting supplied was wrong.

I bought new venting from Home Depot and a new installer arrived a week later. He said the new venting was not necessary and in fact wrong and installed the dryer. It ran but foolishly I did not check to see if it heated and neither did the installers or if they did took off without letting me know that the dryer, like the one that was replaced did not heat. I discovered this a couple of days later when I tried to use it. I contacted Maytag and they setup an appointment for a new service technician to visit. I contacted Maytag again today hoping to get some explanation of what might happen next or some explanation. They had no idea but did inform me that they would not replace the new dryer but would start repairs again.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

We first purchased a Maytag Neptune washer and dryer set. We loved them. Had them for 15 years with no problems. When we decided to get a new washer and dryer, we were loyal to the Maytag brand. I was immediately drawn to the Maytag Bravos XL due to the extra large capacity. What a mistake! This washer and dryer pair take more than two hours to complete a single load of laundry. It often takes more than one wash to get clothes clean. If you wash an extra drum large load of laundry, often times there is not enough water and agitation to even get all of the clothes wet.

I have a one-year-old boy and a six-year-old boy, their clothes get very dirty. This washer Does not get food off of my one-year-old’s bibs. And my six-year-old’s clothes come out looking as if they haven’t even been washed. What a disappointment! My husband and I are going out today to purchase a new washer and dryer set after having just purchased these Maytags in April last year. What a waste of money! Please include me if a class-action suit it’s taken.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Maytag, you are still trading on your good name but that will not last! I owned a Maytag, agitator style, for 20 years and it was still running just fine when we built a new house. I thought it would be wise to buy new appliances for my new laundry room so I chose the beautiful and expensive Maytag Bravos XL. I regret that decision. The washer lasted 4 years and began to have problems draining last week. The liquid that stayed in the washtub until the repairman could get here was so foul smelling! He came back today to replace the drain pump and now the washer is showing that the interface and CCU are not communicating. So now we are ordering another CCU and I hope this fixes the problem. I agree with all of you who say you will NEVER buy another Maytag again. Maytag, are you listening?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I have a Maytag Centennial washing machine which is about 3 years old. In the past 6 months I have to replace the actuator twice. I have had Maytag washers for about 40 years. I will never purchase another one unless it is the old style. That would mean that it would be a used one. This machine is a bad purchase. Maytag use to stand for quality, but not anymore.

Original review: July 29, 2018

We are on our 2nd Bravos XL. The first washer lasted 6 years and there was a part going out that kept making it stop in the process. Basically the repair guy said it will just go out one day so it was up to us to repair or replace the machine. The machine didn’t have an agitator and we had been having issues with white residue on the clothes for a long time but thought it was related to the other part. So we bought a new one, with an agitator. It was the new model. We’ve had it around 6 months and we have lots of issues with the white residue. The only success we have with not getting white residue on darks is using deep fill and very little detergent.

We use powder because the liquid makes dark spots on our dark clothes. So either way, there’s a problem. So we are using a lot of water when it’s supposed to be water saving. And we are using much less detergent that the company says. I think it’s the machine that has problems. I’ve read a long thread on Facebook and it appears that Maytag tells you to use Affresh regularly. It also says to follow their instructions. But everyone seems to follow instructions but Maytag takes no responsibility for their product. Makes me sad because Maytag was the best on the market at one time and we will never buy again. Our dryer works fine but the washer sucks. And that was a lot of money that I paid. I hope that Maytag decides to make it right and help their “customers” enjoy their products once again.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I do not have a problem with Lowe's; the problem is this crummy washer. Any digital anything is only as good as its programmer, and it seems that all digital stuff suffers from the same malady. I long for the old top loader I had 30 years ago. It actually did get the clothes cleaner and they did not smell after being washed. Plus, I could customize each load just exactly the way I wanted to with the knobs and dials. This Maytag goes to "Error" when adding water because I have an old well which does not supply enough water fast enough for the way it was programmed. I have to fill two two-gallon buckets and carry them to the laundry room and pour them into the washer. Every time. "Hot", "cold", or "warm", it doesn't matter. And I, too, have to pre-wash some dirtier items. The old gasoline Maytag did a better job than this one. And this is progress!!!

Original review: July 23, 2018

I owned a Maytag Neptune washer and dryer for 13 years and never had a problem. The only one thing I would say about them is that since the washer had no agitator it would often tangle the clothes, but they were clean and not damaged so I was ok with that. We moved to another house in July 2016, and the moment we plugged in our dryer there was a spark and smoke under it. Our dryer was fried and it was because the previous owner put in the 220 outlet and wired it wrong. So our dryer was dead and cannot be fixed.

Since the washer had the small problem with tangling clothes together, I convinced my husband to get a whole new set, not just a dryer. We went to Lowe's and picked out a new Maytag Bravos XL, thinking that the brand was reliable and they were so big I didn't have to worry about doing bedding in it. Like ALL of the other reviews of this set, DO NOT BUY THEM! The washer does not use enough water to wet the entire load and you will be left with soap residue on your clothes and they will not smell fresh and clean at all. In fact, my son sometimes wets the bed or has dirty underwear and that is what my entire load of laundry will smell like when I wash them. Imagine taking a load of dressy work clothes out of your dryer and they smell like dirty underwear!

I have tried other settings, different types of soap (liquid versus pod, etc) and doing smaller loads. None of this fixes the issue. It is obvious that Maytag and Lowe's will do nothing about this issue, according to other reviewers, so I'm not even going to bother to have them come out here to do a service call and charge me for it. So I'm stuck with a $1,500 garbage laundry set! (Actually the dryer is fine, it just takes longer to dry than I'm used to). I'm all for a class action suit to get our money back and force them to stop producing such crappy products! Also, if you are considering this set, keep in mind that they have just over a 1-star average rating on this site, and that is because every reviewer is forced to add a rating of at least 1 star. If not, I think we'd all pick the zero.

Original review: July 21, 2018

We purchased the Bravos XL Washer (top loader) and dryer about a year ago and have had issues with it since it was installed. Please note, we live between two homes so the machines are not heavily used at all. Our $250 machine we have in our Florida home works a million times better and is several years old. We purchased at the ABC appliance store and they have sent out a technician 4 times in the first few months.

Bottom line, these are just pieces of crap machines. They cannot be returned! It is really a shame for the money spent and your clothes does not get clean on any cycle. The technician told us we should use the Deep water wash for all cycles which still does not work. I bought this machine for the XL capacity but also for the delicate cycle and stains do not come out, undergarments are still dirty, white power residue from OXI is left on the clothes etc... DO NOT BUY. This would get zero stars if I could. So disappointing and frustrating. If class action suit does happen, I would want to be part if it.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I bought a Maytag Bravo without an agitator. Regretted from the 1st load. Some of my clothes do not even get wet and I bought the commercial grade. My 20 year washer that was on its last leg washes better than my brand new Maytag. Please do not waste your money, your clothes will not come out clean.

Original review: July 12, 2018

So sad, purchased brand new Maytag washer and dryer, Commercial technology (MVWB766FW) labels. Looked and appeared impressive. Machines cost almost $1,000 each. Had twenty year old machines that still worked, I didn’t want to face a unexpected breakdown and decided to replace. What a mistake. I’m 67 and all my life from grandma through my mother Maytag was the best, not anymore. Once my equipment was installed I washed a load checking frequently, noticed almost no water in the huge tub and my clothes being beat by the agitator but not enough water to move the clothes. I tried to change to high water setting but had to cancel this load to do so.

Once on high water setting I started the load again, water still very low and agitator just rubbing the clothes directly next to it, no movement of the clothes at all. Ran completely through the wash cycle but when moving to the dryer noticed some light blue shorts had dry spots, many, which had never been wet even through the wash, rinse, and spin cycles. Had a warranty service call and was told this is how the machines work. I told the serviceman had I known that I would have never bought the machines.

He told me the salesman should have explained this to me which he did not. The only way I can wash my clothes in the new, expensive machine is on bedding cycle with high water setting on. Sad day when American companies can legally sell such crap. Also, called the company where I purchased and ask about return. To that I was told once I made the purchase they were mine and Reid’s Appliance in Santa Barbara didn’t take returns. Reid’s Appliance can’t be trusted. Buyer Beware, this stuff is junk. I will be throwing these machines out soon as they aren’t even sale-able on the used market. MAYTAG RIPPED ME OFF.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I bought this washer and dryer (Bravos MCT MA655LDY) after receiving several notices from Hydro that I was consuming more electricity than my neighbours! It was delivered March 31, 2018. On July 5th 2018 I tried to use the washer. It lasted exactly 3 months! I called The Brick who sent a technician out, he said the control had gone. Not sure what that is, but 3 months? This is absurd. I would like them to replace this washer.

Original review: July 11, 2018

MCT commercial technology washer Bravos XL - HORRIBLE product, NEVER worked right! Maytag misrepresented this washer. DON'T buy it! Lie after lie! It's suppose to be high efficiency... conserve water and energy. I have to use 3 times the amount of water and energy because it doesn't wash the first time correctly. Leaves soap in clothes, just doesn't wash properly. I have done EVERYTHING they have recommended NOTHING works! I will NEVER buy another product from them. Even the repair people and Customer people say they have nothing but problems. I'm going to small claims court. I'm sure with all the problems we could get a class action lawsuit. No stars.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I purchased a Maytag Centennial washer a few years ago. In my opinion it hasn't worked properly from the start. We went on the low end of price, because we spent a small fortune for GE products that broke after a year and a half. This Maytag hasn't been a much better experience. First it didn't drain and spin clothes, and I was told I was using too much soap. Cut back on the soap and it started working better and going through the full cycle but the clothes never felt or smelled fresh and clean.

Now 2 1/2 years in, it doesn't complete the full cycle on its own, AND there is dirt in my washer after every load. My clothes come out with streaks of dirt on them. The picture below is of a pillow case I just took out of the wash! I've cleaned the washer multiple times, but it doesn't drain properly so it doesn't help. Maytag charges a service fee just to come out and troubleshoot and charges you again to come and do the repair. I'm running out of reputable companies these days with washers.

Original review: July 11, 2018

We have a Maxima washer which is about two years old. The tub around the barrel cracked and flooded the laundry room. The repair person said it would cost more to fix than replace. Very unsatisfied. We are trying to deal with the company but not optimistic.

Original review: July 10, 2018

Bought the Maytag Bravos new in March of 2017. By July 2018 it died. The circuit board was fried. I found out that is very common. Wish I knew that before buying. Repairman recommend a Whirlpool. Don't take your chances.

Original review: July 9, 2018

MAYTAG BRAVOS WASHER - Biggest mistake I have ever made, like all the other complaints, washer does not clean the clothes. This washer and dryer are in our vacation home. Only used on weekends we are there, now the washer is broken, will not spin and UL light comes on, even with no clothes in it. DO NOT BUY!!! Like others have stated, we need to start a class action lawsuit against Maytag for fraud and knowingly selling junk.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I purchased a new washer and dryer from Lowe's a few months ago. I had my former washer and dryer for nearly 20 years and although the dryer started to have some issues, the washer worked wonderfully. To have a matching set, I decided to purchase both a new washer and dryer. I was told the Maytag Bravos XL model was the top of the line and could handle large loads. After just a few washes I realized this machine does not add enough water to get the top clothes wet and there is no agitator to pull the clothes into the water. I returned to Lowe's and was told to use the deep water wash. I tried that and still had clothes coming out from the wash still dry and dirty.

Unfortunately Lowe's would not take the machines back and I was told to call Maytag. Maytag said there was nothing they could do except send out a technician for a service fee of $98 to help me determine if the machine is functioning correctly. I could not dislike a washer and dryer more! The dryer catches clothes on one of the screws inside and pulls fabric pieces out. This is in my opinion the worst washer dryer set I could imagine having. I will share my experience with as many people as I can to help others avoid making the costly mistake of purchasing a Maytag product. Maytag does not seem to care they have designed and sold a dysfunctional product!

Original review: July 5, 2018

First of all how you wash a load of laundry with a cup full of water? I got this washer and dryer (XL Bravos) as a birthday gift from my husband. This is the worst washer I've ever had. It takes forever to wash and the laundry is still dirty, it only has a cupful of water in it. I'm so disappointed at Maytag for selling something like this. If anyone is doing a class act lawsuit please include me in.

Original review: July 4, 2018

This Bravo Top Loading Washer does not thoroughly clean my clothes. It doesn’t fill properly with water, and it leaves soap residue on my clothes, because it’s not using enough water. I’m using the 2 rinse cycle trying to prevent this, and it’s still not enough. It has actually ruined a few of my items. It is the WORST washing machine I’ve ever purchased. I’m disappointed in Maytag for producing such an awful machine and Sears for selling such a sub par product.

Original review: July 1, 2018

I'm an 78 year old man, married in 1962. In all the years and two kids we have had just three Maytag washers. To me the gold standard of quality washers. When the motor went out in our 15 year old Washing machine I considered replacing the motor, which is well within my capability. I am a journeyman industrial machine repairman formerly with Ford Motor car company before retirement.

Instead, my wife and I bought a Maytag top loader high efficiency washer from Best Buy. I was skeptical when I examined the new machine with paddles instead of the agitator. Trusting that Maytag had engineered a water saving washer using paddles, I made the very poor decision to buy it. I regret not replacing the motor in my old machine. Boy was I wrong. Given the chance I would trade my new machine for the old in a heartbeat...

The old machine washed everything we could throw at it. The new machine won't wash anything to my satisfaction. The bedding deep fill cycle is the only one capable of a passable job. Even then I would like a soak cycle which, in my opinion, would vastly improve results. In all I would characterize this as a total engineering failure. Why Maytag would allow this POS to be sold, where the reputation of Maytag is totally destroyed, is beyond my comprehension.

Original review: July 1, 2018

I am a Baby Boomer... just like so many of us, I watched those lonely Maytag Repairman television commercials. Yes, silly me I purchased our top loading Maytag Bravos XL because of the "brand" name and because the machine was large enough to wash our bedding. Well, like so many fellow purchasers have found, this machine does not get the clothes clean and leaves soap spots all over the clothes. It's embarrassing. Additionally, there is that "funny smell" after the clothes come out of the wash. Well, Maytag has really done a number on us all. Kudos to their research & development department for creating a washing machine where the clothes come out dirtier. Has Maytag thought about a RECALL? I will tell everyone I know to NEVER buy a Maytag.

Original review: June 27, 2018

We bought the Maytag 2000 series washer and dryer stackable set in 2012 from Home Depot. My husband was smart enough to buy an extended warranty and year after year we renewed it. Guess what?? Year after year the dang washer broke. This machine was a nightmare! Now that the drum spider is broken they will not honor our warranty but want to give us $300 and guess what? I can't find a replacement for my good working dryer. We bought this set because we live in tiny space and needed them stacked. Maytag really put us in a corner and we have no money to replace both appliances. Horrible customer service. Horrible machines. Just a horrible situation. We don't know what to do.

Original review: June 25, 2018

The Maytag Washer Model # MVWB835DW is the worst I have EVER had!! I have 6 kids, my husband and myself who I do laundry for and this was supposed to be a XL washer so I can do large loads! It does not do anything to stains and all my clothes come out with clumps of powder and if I use liquid it leaves greasy residue on them! Everyone in our home has had rashes from the washing powder not getting rinsed out and my husband who gets grease and oil on his clothes has all stained clothing because of this washer that does NOT clean anything!

I used to be able to get every single grease and oil stain out until I purchased this washer! My 9 yr old now has a scalded skin from the washing powder not getting rinsed no matter how much I use!! I even tried using vinegar to make it dissolve and it does not help! No matter what we do it does not fill up nor wash the clothing properly!! This washer needs to be discontinued immediately and anyone who has it have the option of exchanging it with a better washer! It is absolutely ridiculous that they know this washer does this yet keep selling it!

Original review: June 23, 2018

Maytag Bravo XL - We bought the set about a year ago, after high recommendations from the salesman at Best Buy. This washer does not clean clothes - they come out with soap & spots & white stuff, even after I use the deep water or the extra rinse cycles. These cycles take well over an hour. When they are finally finished, my clothes are twisted into ropes that have to be unwound & taken apart before putting in the dryer. I hate to think what it's doing to more delicate clothing, getting stretched & tied up like that. This washer is awful - can't wait to get a new one. The dryer isn't much better - can't believe a $900 dryer doesn't have a steam refresh cycle! And the controls are so touchy - if you actually push them, they don't work. If you lightly hover over the button & barely breathe on it, it does - very strange.

Not sure about Maytag Washers & Dryers?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Washers and Dryers for you.

Maytag Washers & Dryers expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Maytag has been inside American homes for over 100 years and continues to provide innovative technology and great customer service.  The company is especially famous for its Maytag Man, a symbol of the company's dependability and dedication to service. Maytag continues to build success, with nearly five billion dollars in revenue generated in 2014. Their washers and dryers are available as top loading or front loading and can be configured to fit your laundry room’s space. Maytag’s innovative technology ensures your clothes get just the right amount of clean and just the right amount of dry, all while saving you time and money.

• Energy Star qualified: All of Maytag’s washers and dryers are Energy Star qualified, meaning they are energy efficient and will save you money compared with a machine that is not Energy Star qualified.

• Size capacity: All of the front loading and top loading models range from medium to extra large capacities, so you can buy one that works best for you based on the size of your average laundry load.

• Quiet: Maytag washers and dryers are quiet, so you can put them anywhere in your house, including closets and near bedrooms, without worrying about noise.

• Advanced Moisture Sensing: Maytag’s Advanced Moisture Sensing makes sure every article of clothing gets dry, from socks to towels. The sensor strips located inside the dryer measure moisture levels around the fabric of the clothes in the dryer. At the same time, inlet sensors determine air temperatures to stop the load at the appropriate time.

• Best for: Value hunters, families, individuals and customers who want a dependable brand.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

Benton Harbor
    MI
    www.maytag.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business