1.34/5
  • 1 star
Based on 1,500 ratings submitted in the last year
Show rating distribution
Need a washer and dryer?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 20, 2017

2630 Maytag Washers & Dryers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

This is the noisiest washing machine ever manufactured - cannot do laundry at night or no one sleeps, during the evening it overpowers the television. Dark washes are a nightmare as there is a white smear (soap scum?) on everything (guess you don’t see it on whites) - extra rinse does not help. What happened to this “reliable company”???

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

Maytag HE Top Loader Washing Machine: I have regretted buying this piece of garbage since my first wash. This washing machine is complete waste of money and a piece of garbage. The Auto Sensing doesn't work and doesn't cover the clothes with enough water. When the deep water wash is chosen the clothes just float around but the agitator doesn't get them clean. Don't waste your money hoping it will work, because it won't. Maytag used to signify quality that is no longer the case. I am going to also give a bad review to the place I purchased this piece of garbage because all stores need to discontinue selling this junk.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

This washer (Model# MVWB765FW1) will not wash your clothes. It's not designed to give enough water for washing. That means some clothes will still be dry after agitator cycle; seriously. Thank you Maytag for going green! The repairman will tell you the machine is working according to design. That is true but the machine is a fraud as a clothes washing machine. The weight of the clothes in the tub tells the computer how much water to apply; good luck with that. We learned that if we add a bucket and a half of water, the clothes will come clean. Do you want to do that? Maytag used to be a good name.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Maytag and Home Depot do not back their products or assist customers. While repair my father's home in Grand Junction Colorado, Home Depot workman grabbed the 30 year old washer and dryer by the controls and promptly destroyed the machines. No - Home Depot didn't do anything despite complaints. I bought a brand new Maytag Washer and Dryer for the Grand Junction, Colorado home. The famous Maytags that are called "dependable" only lasted 3 months. When I went to complain at the Grand Junction Home Depot - the manager - Cheryl - called me a "lair" when I said I left phone messages for her.

Cheryl seems to represent the best of Home Depot when she doesn't assist customers - is nasty and calls them "liars" when they say they left phone messages for her. No - Home Depot would not back their selling Maytag, and worse, they won't assist you in finding how to contact Maytag. Cheryl's response was - "Contact Maytag. Good bye." I was not given a contact or phone number - nothing. I spent over $32,000 at Home Depot fixing up my father's home and rentals and this is how Home Depot treats customers. Worse I have a worthless Maytag that ceased working after just 3 months. Yes - you may contact me, yes - you may use my name and yes - I will blog on the internet the nastiness of Home Depot in Grand Junction, and the poor quality and poor customer service with Maytag.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I purchased a Neptune set in the late 90's when they first came on the market. I remember my delight - after the first use my clothes looked like new. Most impressive was I never needed to iron anything. Incredible. After 20 years of maintenance free operation, I finally decided they were getting too loud and was afraid they'd break down and spill water. Of course, I bought the latest version of Neptune again. What a disappointment. These machines are terrible. My clothes come out a wadded up, wrinkled mess. I have tried every "recommendation" in the book - the wrinkle free, the steam fresh, you name it. I have never ironed more "iron free" clothes before. It's added hours a week to my chores and we all look a frumpled mess. I really regret my choice. Strange that I can't wait for these new machines to break down so I can justify a do-over.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maytag Washers & Dryers?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

It was alright for a while. Then it started ripping up my clothes. The machine is not overloaded, enough water has been added but, when I take the clothes out they are torn. Not a good experience. I have seen several reviews on the Centennials, none of them good. What is the problem. I am hoping my experience gets resolved.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

Do not recommend any top loader. The washer don't wash at all. My clothes just sits there floating in the water on deep fill. I have some white with metallic like marks. I've have soap left in my clothes. I watched one load of clothes. It had a neon shirt, the shirt stayed on top with the bubbles, it just floated along around in circles. The service was crap too. I called about the metallic markings. They said it was normal and should go away after 15 - 20 loads. I can't afford to replace my clothes.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I didn't think spending that kind of money would be worth it however it has served us well. In fact it had served other people well too because some people come over to borrow our machine.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

We purchased our Maytag Bravos X when we purchased our new home in Florida. We had never purchased a Maytag before and felt we were making a huge step up in quality. Purchase date July 7, 2013 - totaled November 8, 2017 after 4-1/2 years of 2-person use. The gears are stripped and it would cost over $600 to replace the transmission and gearbox. None of this is covered by Maytag's warranty. I will never buy Maytag again. They may have been a good company once, but I no longer feel that way. When I contacted Maytag I requested they call me back. Every time they called, I was disconnected. Their customer service is very poor and I'm totally dissatisfied with the outcome.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Come on people are you serious! I'm talking about all those people who give this washer great reviews or even mediocre reviews. This washing machine sucks! Thank God for the glass lid so you can see how terrible it washes. No water in this thing. Clothes that sit on the edge of the bowl do not agitate enough to be washed if there was water in the wash cycle. Bleach that you use in your white wash cycle is left over and gets onto your colored cycle if you wash it the color cycle next. I ** you not, mark my words that stains are left on clothes even in a cycle that has lots of water in it. If you think I'm high or crazy take a look at your local Home Depot or Lowe's store. Check the area for washing machines that are for sale that have been used. You will find this Maytag Bravos XL machine there.

They look good and are practically brand new and they will be there for weeks on and because people return them if they get lucky to return them. I called my store and they refuse to take it back and told me to call the manufacturer. I did just that... I called the manufacturer and they told me they can send out a serviceman to check the washing machine. Butt...and a big butt, if they find nothing wrong with the washing machine that I will be charged a service fee. Bunch of **! For all of us that get stuck with this pile of garbage we can thank the tree huggers for trying to save the world with low water consumption water washing machines.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I purchased a 5 Maytag appliances in the last year. Stupidest thing I have ever done. The clothes washer being the worst. Front Load, model # MHW3505FW1. Last night I threw 5 small, lighter weight things in the washer on normal cycle, med temp, max extract... like usual. An hour and thirty-eight minutes later (normal cycle time), I opened it to find most things never even got wet. One scarf was still folded in fourth - the way I put it in! I called service even though I know there is nothing "wrong" with the washer, other than being so poorly designed, it can't get clothes wet with a damn tub and a hose.

After I told her the problem, she puts me on hold, comes back to tell me she researched this everywhere and she found that this is a symptom of a NEW washer! It's SOO efficient that you can't even tell it was wet! Bull. Most of the items were brand new and you could see the original creases and smell the new smell. They CLEARLY were never wet. They wanted to set up an appointment for servicing, so now I have to be here for them to tell me nothing it's not broken. I will never buy another Maytag again.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I, too, have had a lousy experience with this washer – it does not correctly sense the amount of clothing in the load, and often fails to get everything wet. Once the cycle starts, it does not necessarily pull everything into the water. You must ball each item up around the center or have sleeves and legs of clothing end up very twisted. Clothing is often very wrinkled and I do not feel that enough water is used to achieve clean clothes. I did get a good response from Maytag, who sent a repairman free of charge after the one year warranty period. He was very gruff and condescending – implying that I am buying the wrong kind of clothing. He reset the washer which improved the water levels, but now it is back to its old tricks. Hate, hate, hate this washer. Now it is failing to start unless lid is slammed shut! May get a new one in a black Friday deal, but have to figure out how to ditch this one while retaining my integrity/honesty to buyer.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

The washer has been inconsistent and had required five warranty visits. The computer that runs it has often malfunctioned requiring frequent restarts by unplugging the machine. Stay away.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I bought this Maytag MCT washer and dryer set brand new from Lowe's October 31st, 2016. When I washed the first load it made so much noise I thought it was broken. Called Lowe's and they said it is just noisier than the older ones. This is the water/load sensing model, supposed to be great. I am usually here by myself, so at most I wash one load of clothes a week. I have a queen size mattress pad in there washing right now. This pad fills up the drum pretty much, I have it on 'deep water' but that only gives me maybe 1/4 of the drum that has water in it. The pad is wet from wicking, NOT from the water covering it. How is this supposed to clean anything when the water is not covering the items?

When it spins out, it gets off balance easily. The manual says to not worry about balancing load as you put it in there, but doesn't make any sense to just cram on one side as the water isn't going to float the cloth around to balance. The settings for Bulky does nothing more than the setting for Deep Water, you still do not get enough water to wash your clothes.

It also does not do any good to add fabric softener to the machine, as it seems to just take it all out, you cannot smell any fabric softener on your laundry when you are transferring it to the dryer. And the laundry when dry isn't soft like it was with the old machines. I will be 62 in December 2017. My parents always had Maytags, never a problem. This is the 4th set of Maytags I have had. And bought a set for my daughter in 2013 also. And this by far is the worst. Their quality is completely gone now. Nothing but cheap made products that are predestined to fail. Friend across the street said she had looked at this set when she was in market to get a new set. She has an friend who works on appliances and who works for stores selling these models and he told her, they were not worth buying. Wish I had known that. Do not waste your money.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I purchased the washer 12 months ago. I liked large tub size and Maytag name. Thought I had made a good purchase. Boy am I am sorry. The washer overflows my large utility sink for drainage on large load setting and clean setting, ruining the flooring in an adjoining room. You can't wash black clothes in it leave white residue spots all over clothing. You can't use pod soap. Doesn't dissolve totally. Just on your clothing so you must wash again. So now I am trying to figure out what I can do but afraid I am going to replace it. Would Not recommend this product. Bravos XL MCT MVWB835DW1.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I bought a Maytag Centennial Commercial washer, 3.8 cubic feet, Model # MVWC425BW on September 17, 2014. My clothes were never clean and barely wet. The machine took almost 2 hours to do a load of clothes and they weren't even clean! I bought the 3-year extended warranty through Lowe’s. Three years and 8 days later the machine stopped working. Serviceman came out and told me the washer was fatally wounded. He said the transmission failed. He also told me the replacement part would be $400.00 and that it wasn't worth it.

He said these machines are junk and Maytag has had all kinds of issues with them. So Maytag knows these machines fail and yet do nothing for their consumers. Maytag, you will only ride on your name for so long; consumers are catching on. Maybe back in my Mom's day you were the go-to brand but I'm afraid that ship has sailed. I've always gone with Maytag but now I question that choice. I came on Consumer Affairs page to see what brand I could buy other than Maytag. Seems Kenmore gets high marks.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I have bought 2 high end top loader models (Maytag centennial commercial), brand new both from Home Depot. The problem is Maytag is making them cheaper! Suspension is coal springs that suspends the load so if you fill it up, it lowers the drum to the floor, instead of a bottom bracket that supports the weight from lowering the drum to the floor! Second is the pulley system with the belt drive that wears through the plastic casing. You know some people don't have $900 or $1,000 for a machines that says commercial or heavy duty that only last 4 years when you have a family of six! Very very sad, will never buy another Maytag.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Washer Bravo MVWX655DW0 - Maytag has shipped the wrong part twice, sent me the right part which is faulty and the 4th one arrived today. I have not had a washer since 9-16 October 9, 2017. I am writing to tell you about my experience that I've had with Maytag over the last 30 days. I have owned several Maytag and Amana appliances in the past; along with owning several currently. Over the years, we've had a wonderful experience owning these appliances however the last 30 days is one that has been unbelievable. On September 18 on a Monday early in the morning I called Maytag service line. I spoke to a young lady who had difficulties finding me in the system and did not know how to make an appointment to have a Maytag repairman come to my house to look at my washer. I did not take down her name as I thought and trusted that the company was acting on my behalf and would take care of me.

I spent several minutes explaining to her that I did not live in Indiana that I lived in Iowa and that I would need a repairman who is close to my hometown. She continued to give me phone numbers with area code 407 in Indiana and then kept repeating some type of a ZIP Code 49 something for Indiana. I explained to her four different times that the zip codes in Iowa start with a five and the area code would be a 515 number in the area she was looking at. She finally gave me two phone numbers, one that did not work. I asked for a repairperson out of Jefferson. She told me Cranston Repair and gave me the phone number. She told me to call him. I told her that I would go with the Cranston repair since Jefferson with my hometown and it was close to where I lived.

I then asked her if she would make the appointment. She told me she didn't know how to make the appointment and she kept messing up with the system. Not sure if it was her first day or not but that was fine so I said “never mind I will set the appointment up myself." I then asked her to double-check to see if our new Maytag refrigerator that we just purchased was registered. She told me she did not see it but all I needed to do was call back the next day with the model and serial number and anybody I spoke to on the phone could go ahead and get that registered. I thought I had registered online; I only wanted to double-check but she didn't see it so I assumed I did something wrong and then would make the call back the next day.

I called Cranston repair and scheduled an appointment with the repairperson for the next day Tuesday, September 19. Repairman came the next day on time, looked at the washer and found that the transmission had gone out. I had purchased the washer just shy of two years ago. The repairman said that he would have to order the part and would let me know how long it would take and would return to fix the washing machine. He called from my house and was told that the part was on backorder until October 5. After the repairman left the house I decided to call Maytag back and express my disappointment in the product as Maytag says they stand behind their products and the fact that it was not even two years old and that a transmission would go out. The individual I spoke to this time, Antcwaniqua? Not sure about spelling, listened to my story. She also told me the part the repairman ordered was not correct.

I needed part W1 1132267. She said that was a substitute part for the correct part that I needed which was W11035204. I told her that the part number ending in 204 we were told was on backorder until October 5. She said no, the part may show that in the system for repairmen but Maytag can locate the part in a warehouse, it would be shipped in 3 to 5 days. I told her that he had called a place in Davenport, Iowa. What she would do because of all the issues I was having was she would go ahead and ship the part out to me at no cost in 3 to 5 days.

I wasn't sure about that warehouse thing. It didn't sound convincing but at that point I had to go along with it. What was shipped out to me was the substitute part W1 113-2267. At this point she told me that I would have to pay to have the part put in; I agreed to that on I want a new washer or I want my washer repaired within 72 hours at no cost. I have not had a washer for 3 weeks plus. Repairman in coming Friday and I am not confident that the 4th gearcase part that came today will work either.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Maytag washer not draining properly. Called Aug 15 for help. First tech in on August 23, makes a diagnosis, orders part; no news, I call, am given Sep 15 as next date. Come 9/15, I take off from work, only to find out tech cannot come that day, to reschedule. Next tech comes 9/25 with a different diagnosis and different part to order. By October 3, an announcement that part came in, to make an appointment. By now, it's been a month and a half, I am so angry. I call a friend, who fixes it in 15 minutes by simply clearing a clogged drain filter. This is unacceptable: the inordinate wait, incompetent techs, unresponsiveness from customer service. I cancelled my contract with Maytag Warranty/AIG.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I thought it was just my machine that sounded like an airplane taking off in my laundry room. Upon reading these reviews I see there is a real problem with this machine. My parents and grandparents trusted and swore by Maytag products. Maybe then, but certainly not now. Maytag for me stands for landfill. I have had 2 Maytag certified service companies come to repair my washer that is only 6 years old and it's the same part both times which I am told by these service providers has been a problem and Maytag knows about it. But when I call Maytag all I get is some sound bite advising me there has been no recall and since I have an extended warranty I will have to take it up with them since that is who my contract is with. Of course they are only obligated to make a repair and cannot replace a defective unit. Of course not.

Far be it for Maytag to step up and really stand behind the promises they are making all over our television channels with the new Maytag man. The top of the washer is also all rusted out around the soap, bleach, and softener openings. It is a poorly made machine with known issues by a manufacturer that I will never buy from again. It's a sad day that manufacturers are not held accountable for inferior products and even sadder that this Maytag manufacturer boasts it's made in the USA for this machine. So is it back to China we go??? If you want America back you better support your product to your buyers.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I bought Maytag Bravos X in 2014. I bought a set. The dryer is fine. Right after the warranty was up the washer started having problems. Maytag was no help. One sensor after another went bad. Now I have to unplug it to get it to start and then again to get it to spin. It hasn't spun on it's own since 2015. It just recently won't start on its own. I have appliance repair people out and they can't fix it. They say everyone has problems with them. My mother swore by Maytags and had a set for twenty years or so, but now they are garbage.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Maytag claims to be the most dependable company and my machine just broke 2 months after the 1-year warranty. How convenient. Now I have a $600 pile of metal in my house that does nothing. It stops after about 12 minutes of washing. The machine then drains, and shuts itself off. DO NOT BUY!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

The washer is so loud it can be heard all over my home (my home is 2700 sq.). It sounds like metal to metal grinding. I was told that's how the run and the first bit of water isn't enough to even wet the clothes. I'd never buy another one (even though this is my 3rd Maytag washer. I'm 78 yrs.old).

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

This is was my first time experience to purchase Maytag Bravos XL (MWWB835DW) 5.3-cu High Efficiency Washer. I need it fast replacement to my front loader Samsung washer as it was recalled and had mold issues. I was looking for a High Efficient and Star Energy digital, glass top reliable machine. I may say that I was fooled by advertisement and promotion from the Advertisement and promotion from Home Depot. I did not know much about Maytag Brand but I was convinced by sales person and price promotion. Big Mistake! Huge! I am extremely dissatisfied with this washer, it doesn’t use enough water to cover the clothes! No matter which cycle you use, the clothes don’t come clean.

I wash and re-wash my clothes and ending up paying huge water and electric bills as I have to use deep hot water wash each time and after rewash again! Not so High Efficient! After using this machine for just over 6 month all my white expensive towels turned gray and all my whites is no longer white. This washer ruin my clothes. Another problem that this machine doesn’t have small load quick wash and if you have a small load it will go through 50 minutes cycle and I still need another wash after all! If I would wash my king size comforter I still have to do it twice and it does NOT rinse all the water out! I thought I can do big load but this machine cannot handle big loads!

My laundry days became a nightmare! I would not call this machine High Efficient at all! Company does bogus advertisement just to fool and attract consumers. This is terrible washer which make me think how possibly this machine is on the market and allowed to be sold? I did not notice problem till very late and I missed my 90 days return policy. Now I have to find another replacement. What a waste of money! I do not recommend this machine to my enemy. Please read reviews before buying this horrible machine. Do not miss your 90 days policy returns. Save your water and electric bills by avoiding Bravos XL. I am hoping that Consumer Protection will step in and evaluate numbers of complaints and will help those who were fooled and ripped off by such a false advertisement.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I bought the Maytag Centennial Washer a year ago. I have had nothing but problems. The clothes never get fully wet so you have to wash clothes 2 or 3 times. The lid does not open when running. So you can't put soap after the clothes are damp. I say damp because they don't get wet. Right now the sensing light has been on for 2 hours. I need to catch a flight in the morning and I cannot wash my clothes! My white clothes never get clean. I have to wash 2 or 3 times. Actually 4 time would work better. The water and electric wasted with washing over and over again is nuts. Stay away. I've warned you!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I would not recommend a Maytag front load washer to anyone. I bought a Maytag Maxima 4 years ago and it looks like it's not even available any longer so I'm writing my review on a similar machine because after much research I'm finding that all the Maytags have a similar issue. I have an MHW7000XG1 model large capacity washer. After 4 years the MCU went out and the cost to repair is $500. I looked up the error online and sadly there are so many others with the same problem. I had always thought that Maytag was built to last, however, after lots of research I am finding that 3-5 years is all you get before either the MCU or CCU (or both) have to be replaced.

After replacement most people get another few years and then it has to be replaced again. By that time I could have purchased a brand new washing machine. The appliance repair company told me to get a Speed Queen. That's the washer/dryer he has. They are built to last up to 20-25 years. I'm a single mom and can't afford to repair my washer or buy a new one so it looks like I'll be doing laundry at relatives house for a while. Terrible product and definitely not worth the $1500 I spent on it 4 years ago.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

This set is a GREAT ONE! I love my HQ washer and dryer. The washer has so many settings to choose from for all different loads of clothes. It washes and spins everything great. My dryer is so nice! I can dry a load of whites: towels, washcloths, hand towels etc in record amount of time. I would highly recommend them both.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Bought washer and dryer as a pair and I've owned for 8 years with zero issues. Everything works as built and promised. Why would I expect anything less from a brand like Maytag?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Purchased a Maytag Centennial Washer from Lowes. This is the NOISIEST WASHER I HAVE EVER HAD. Self Balancing, pretty much the way it is, YOU lift that heavy wet laundry and re-arrange to balance. It just "slams around" even moving the washer, until you do. This washer also doubles as a "BLENDER." It SHREDS laundry. The agitator does not go all the way down and thus, clothing, towels, rugs... get stuck under the agitator, wind around and RIP. Have had hundreds of dollars worth of laundry shredded such as: shirts, towels, new rugs and it even ripped the waist off a pair of my jeans!

The other laundry gets tied up on the stuck laundry and you end up with a twisted, ripped, tied up "Laundry Ball." It will not wash or rinse well when it does this, naturally. Lowes: The salesman knew about all this, and sold it anyway! "He had one and got rid of it." Gee thanks Lowes and Maytag, for the worst washer I have ever had the misfortune of owning.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I really love my front loader and it has no agitator to rip pockets and tear off buttons. The tub is very large and I can wash king quilts. I do miss being able to fill the tub and put in additives and then add the clothes to soak.

Maytag Washers & Dryers expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Maytag has been inside American homes for over 100 years and continues to provide innovative technology and great customer service.  The company is especially famous for its Maytag Man, a symbol of the company's dependability and dedication to service. Maytag continues to build success, with nearly five billion dollars in revenue generated in 2014. Their washers and dryers are available as top loading or front loading and can be configured to fit your laundry room’s space. Maytag’s innovative technology ensures your clothes get just the right amount of clean and just the right amount of dry, all while saving you time and money.

• Energy Star qualified: All of Maytag’s washers and dryers are Energy Star qualified, meaning they are energy efficient and will save you money compared with a machine that is not Energy Star qualified.

• Size capacity: All of the front loading and top loading models range from medium to extra large capacities, so you can buy one that works best for you based on the size of your average laundry load.

• Quiet: Maytag washers and dryers are quiet, so you can put them anywhere in your house, including closets and near bedrooms, without worrying about noise.

• Advanced Moisture Sensing: Maytag’s Advanced Moisture Sensing makes sure every article of clothing gets dry, from socks to towels. The sensor strips located inside the dryer measure moisture levels around the fabric of the clothes in the dryer. At the same time, inlet sensors determine air temperatures to stop the load at the appropriate time.

• Best for: Value hunters, families, individuals and customers who want a dependable brand.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs