1.32/5
Based on 1,697 ratings submitted in the last year

Need a washer and dryer?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2825 Maytag Washers & Dryers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

The machine runs and runs and runs and still the clothes come out dirty. Clothes are often not even wet all over. The Maytag HE water-saving washer is a terrible Hoax. The dryer also is faulty. It rolls the clothes into a big, undried ball of dirty clothes.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

In the first year, the up shelf has been broken twice. Their service is awful. It took 2 months to be replaced. Second year, the shelf has been broken again. They said They requested me to pay 100 dollars plus tax just for service. NEVER MAYTAG AGAIN.

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

We purchased a Maytag brand thinking it would be a quality long lasting machine. Wrong, the washer shakes from day one, We complained to Lowe's, they brought out and installed a second unit, it does the same. The clothes dont get clean, sometimes you can see the blue HE Tide still on the clothes (sheets) after cycle is complete. Junk, waste of money, I'll never buy another Maytag product again. Don't waste your money on a Bravos Maytag top loading HE machine.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Bought this as W/D set brand new from Home Depot. Had been noticing incredible wear and tear on clothes, as things get so tangled up and need to be practically ripped apart before going into dryer. Cycle times are crazy long, up to over an hour in some cases. Doesn’t have a “Speed Wash” cycle. But WORST of all, after less than 3 years, it just stopped draining properly. Tried all the Codes test, etc. Finally called a repairman just to be told repair costs would probably cost more than the machine is worth. $125 to be told we ought to just buy a new washer. Not happy.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I bought the Maytag Bravo XL washer and dryer at Lowe’s on sale spending almost $2000. Loved both of them until the washer stopped with a load of laundry in it. No power to unit. Called for service. Could not provide serial number as locked in washer. Service company able to order parts without the serial number but part put on back order. Washer needs a master board. After 1 week of wet laundry stuck in the washer called store manager at Lowe’s. I contacted Maytag Service and had a rude customer service clerk who finally listened to me after I got angry with her. She contacted the appliance repair company and got the back ordered part sent to the appliance repair company.

We are now 10 days out. Still do not have the part; just talked to appliance repair company supervisor. The appliance repair company supervisor said he would schedule installation as soon as he had the part. It will probably be 14 days when I get the washer fixed. I am dreading opening the washer to get the load out that I will have to throw away. When I called for service at Lowe’s the representative said, "We have had a lot of issues with this." A 2 month old new washer should not have the control board go out. Shame on Maytag.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maytag Washers & Dryers?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

The bearings and motor went out in less than 3 years. The warranty good - the dealer I purchased from Siano Appliance gave me credit to purchase another Maytag washer - which I had to purchase an additional warranty for $320. The new Maytag is less than 5 months old - the motor has been replaced and waiting on a tech now to fix it. It would not come on. SO in warranties I have paid over $640 and am still having issues with the new washer. The first time I purchased a warranty for 10 year - when the machine was replaced I had to purchase another warranty for that machine - now if I have to replaced this one that will be an additional $320. IS this legal?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

First I would like to thank the salesman who has worked diligently to solve the problem I am having. The first load of dark clothes I washed came out with what looked like lint on them. It has to be scraped off. Yes I am using HE detergent. Yes I am using the minimum amount recommended by the manufacturer. & yes to all the other questions I have asked. The solution was to wash the dark clothes on power wash with an extra rinse. Very energy efficient! This was NOT the answer so I was given a 1-800 # to call.

After giving all the necessary information & answering all of the questions about detergent etc. the conversation became a little more in depth. Does it happen with dark clothes? Do you dry your clothes outside or in a drier? It was becoming obvious to me that Maytag is aware of this problem. By this point I was even unhappier as no solutions were being offered. Finally after several would you mind holding the line again for just a minute he said he couldn't tell me to do this but some of his "friends" add a cup of vinegar to their wash.

At this point I told him I was sorry I had ever bought this machine. He then said he would have a technician arrange an appointment. He arrived & declared I was using too much detergent even though by then I was using half on the manufacturer's recommended amount. Buying an energy efficient washer where I have to use POWER WASH, EXTRA RINSE, VINEGAR & DRIER is not a good answer for a problem Maytag must be aware of as I read the reviews today. I have just done 2 loads of dark laundry with no detergent & the pants are marked so I WANT AN ANSWER.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Bought "top of the line" Maytag Commercial Technology washer because it was supposed to be the most advanced on the market. My experience has taught me that "advanced" does not equate to efficient, effective, and expedient. The washer settings for an average load (sheets or towels or clothing) is about 111 minutes per load (nearly 2 hours!!). To adjust to what would be a "quick wash" is about 25-30 minutes BUT the washing part of that is only about 5-7 minutes. I feel like a Pioneer Woman because I must spend most of a day to run four (4) loads of laundry (sheets, towels, dark clothing, white clothing). This is extremely frustrating!! I am sorry I purchased this product.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Maytag MHW3505FW Washer and dryer were purchased 13 months ago. I purchased and spent $2,000 because the Lowe's salesperson and the stickers on the machine said they had a 10 year GUARANTEE AND "commercial quality/technology". Exactly 2 weeks after 12 months the washer started flashing erratically when I was able to turn it on. Wouldn't react to any of the touch controls and stopped working. Called Lowe's who told me because I hadn't bought an extended warranty they would do nothing. When I told them I was told a 10 year warranty was in place they said they only cover a year. I was told to call Maytag. Maytag said the 10 year warranty only covers the steel drum and motor! Nothing else is covered after one year. I was offered an extended warranty for $600. Not something I will be doing. I will replace with non-computer washer and dryer and will NEVER BUY MAYTAG again. They should be sued for false advertising.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I paid a lot of money for this washer. It was recommended by a service guy from Sears. It is only 3 years old. I don't think it cleans well at all. Energy efficiency? Not seen on this machine at all. It takes at least an hour for a cycle. It is super loud on the spin cycle. Now it is leaking and has that stagnant odor that front loaders get. Really! Waste of money. Will never buy a Maytag again.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

We purchased our Maytag through Sears. We wanted a very basic machine, and that's what we found at Sears, yay! Fast forward eight years and it suddenly quit agitating. We tried fixing it ourselves by replacing a plastic gear part, which, later on our appliance technician said was totally logical, but it still wouldn't work. We got our appliance repairman out here and he took it into the shop and fixed the problem, which turned out to be part of the motor or something like that.

The thing that bothers me the most is that he asked if we had bought a refurbished washer, but we hadn't, it was brand new. He gave us a part that was swapped out that wasn't made for the machine and also said the safety guard for the cord was missing. This keeps it from pulling out of the machine in case it gets jerked. I feel deceived and just wanted to vent because there really isn't anything I can do about it now. Buyer beware, yes, but I know we have to be our own technician sleuths to be sure we're getting what we paid for?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

We purchased the Maytag Bravos MCT in July 2017. Just passed the 1 year warranty and the glass door just shattered. No reason for it really other than it must have been defective. Nothing dropped on it and it wasn't cold or hot in the room. I got nothing. Maytag said they didn't know why it would happen, and would have to send service tech out. A lid for this type of washer alone is $200-$300. Buyer beware. Don't get a glass top loader.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Not long after the 1 year warranty expired the washer started making noise while agitating. Long story short, the transmission is making the noise and should be replaced. It is a $200+ part. While it is still working ok, I'm waiting for it to fail completely. Not good for an expensive washer. I don't think I'll buy Maytag again.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

My 20 yr old Kenmore washer broke last month so I replaced it with a Maytag I bought from Lowe's. I wanted a simple washer that would maybe last 10 years. The Maytag has a sensor for everything. So you can’t fill the washer, it determines how much water to use and it never fills enough to cover the clothes. It doesn’t agitate really. It’s more like a slow on & off movement. It does everything in an on & off way. The water fill goes on & off, it “washes” on & off. Even the spin is a spin, slow to almost stop - spin again - almost stop - spin again. It also stops filling if you open the lid, I tried to let some water fill before adding clothes (so the liquid detergent could dilute a bit) but every time I opened the top there was no water in the drum, I heated the water running and the drum was wet but it wouldn’t gill at all. I think it only puts water enough to “sense” the clothes have been soaked. I will call Lowe's and try to return it.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Within the first 2 years, the dryer stopped heating. After a $300, a few parts and a few attempts to repair the dryer worked again. The sensor still kept saying check the vent and we gave up and removed the outside vent cover. Works great now. The washer worked great until year 4 when it began to sound like a helicopter. It got so bad that it literally hurt my ears and could be heard outside. It also leaked. Called repairman and they couldn't even remove the drum because it had rusted solid. After a total of 4 years we are replacing the set. Do not WASTE your money!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Purchased a Maytag washer and dryer 6 years ago and everything was fine until 3 weeks ago when the washer stopped spinning. We knew we were out of the 1 year warranty and contacted a repair service, who told us the bearing was no good. Contacted Maytag who offered in goodwill to pay for the parts and we would pay for the labor. A different repair person came in and told us the washer has no bearings but a transmission, which went bad. They ordered the transmission and today the repair person was in to install it. He installed the transmission, but while trying to take out the old one he dented the drum.

According to my husband the repair person banged so hard that it sounded as if something could have been damaged, sure enough it was the drum. Contacted Maytag to see if anything can be done as now we still have no washer, and the repair person was their selection not ours. All we got from Maytag was they are not responsible and there is not much more they can do. I cannot believe the last Maytag product we had lasted over 20 years and this one is less than 6 years with problems. Will not purchase another of their products again.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

This machine is not backed up by Maytag unless you purchase an extended warranty. I tried to contact Maytag regarding this machine breaking in less than two years. This machine has all the bells and whistles but don't expect to use them all because as soon as I used hot water or steam, it affects the lid lock assembly. This should be a recall from Maytag. They know it happens but aren't doing anything to improve or remedy the situation. I was only able to use this machine with cold water after this happened. I spent more money getting this washing machine fixed than it deserved. I'm so disappointed with Maytag's customer service and their product.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I purchased an LG (white) washer last year, but my husband upgraded all appliances to stainless, including Maytag washer and dryer. The washer does not fill with enough water to cover the clothes. It barely agitates them to wash. Some clothes even come out with dry spots on them at times! They smell and are still dirty when done. I have tried every setting hoping that was the issue. Normal, power wash, none work any better! Had to resort to the soak function which does not add fabric softener or drain the water completely. Thankfully I didn't sell or get rid of the LG. Putting the LG back in asap. Nevermind the mixed color finishes of white and stainless between the washer and dryer. Clean clothes most important! Piece of garbage and complete rip off!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

This washer is the WORST washer we have ever owned. I should have returned it when I attempted and Lowe's talked me into keeping, stating I was just "overfilling". I put only a few items and the jeans came out with dirt still all over them!! I have photos. Pathetic. Not enough water, not enough agitation. DO NOT waste your money!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

This machine is awful and a waste of money. Don’t trust the reviews with “workarounds.” That’s crazy! Doing laundry is difficult enough in my house so I need to add extra work? And they don’t work anyway. Water is barely 1-2 inches deep. But the real issue is the clothes don’t come out clean. Of course, they smell clean because all the soap hasn’t rinsed out but they are not. I spilled coffee on a white tee. Dabbed it up with a wet napkin. Threw it in the laundry. Did whites and added extra bleach and extra water because I know how much this machine sucks. Not only are my clothes yellow but the coffee stain is still there. I can’t imagine how it will wash tough stains like blood and wine and grease. I cannot even believe they are allowed to rip people off with this product.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

During 2018 we purchased Maytag Bravos top loader to replace antique KitchenAid. Very dissatisfied at first, but luckily found the settings that makes my machine work very well on every cycle. First add 1/2 gallon of water to empty tub. Add detergent. Set controls at: Soil Level-Heavy; Wash temp - Warm; Main dial - Bulky Sheets; Extra Rinse - ON; Fabric Softner - OFF. Can now load full tub of clothes and more detergent if desired. Press start button and water covers it entirely. It works so well now, that I went from I hate it to I love it. Been going for two perfect months with no issues. Weird but true. Hope this helps you.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Almost immediately after the 1 year warranty expired, the control panels that run the unit died. They are not covered by Maytag’s 10 year warranty and the cost to replace is almost the price of a brand new unit. Built to fail.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Replaced a Maytag Bravos xl washer and dryer in 2015. First year was fine but almost right after the warranty period, the spinning cycle was loud. You can't even have a conversation near the washer. I put up with it after calling the repair department. Because I was told that it will cost as much to repair than buy a new washer. Now the washer does not drain when a small amount of cloth are in the washer. Don't buy this washer and dryer. Maytag is not as good as it once claim.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I wish I could post the picture of a pair of sneakers... unreal how it only took off dust! Dirt did not come off the sneakers AT ALL! I o lot had two towels and a sheet in with the sneakers, thinking they have got to get clean with the small amount I had in. WRONG!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Replaced my leaking Samsung washer with a Maytag and I really regret the switch. What a piece of garbage. It has been service twice (thankfully within the first warranty year) due to Main control board failure. Seriously, these washers are good for nothing. Also, the Sanitize cycle doesn't do a good job from day one. Save your hard earned money and buy something else.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Worst customer service ever. I ordered my washer and dryer from home depot 2 weeks before a possible delivery day. The day before delivery I receive a call that they don't have them and I must wait 1 more week. After 3 phone calls I am promised a credit to my account. A week after delivery I am wondering where my credit I was promised is so I call. I'm told the most I can be given is $100. I state that I feel my time is worth more than that. A supervisor is brought in and I'm told we will get $150 credit. Then put on hold. She reviews account (why didn't you do this first) and told because we didn't call within 48 hrs of delivery the most they can give us is $75.

So I call back very frustrated. Then I'm told it's our word against theirs that we were offered that?!? What?!? Well I am sure you record conversations and that's total BS. I explained how you can't offer something then take it back. I was told the week before I was getting a credit and my account already notated. No one said, "Call within 48 hrs to dispute again to get it." Why would I have to I mean seriously.

So after a total of at least 2hrs on the phone before and after delivery I am forced to settle with $75. I feel very unappreciated. I purchased and paid for $1633 worth of appliances that were a week later than promised. Called less than 24 hrs before expected delivery and told they don't even have them. Then told I'm getting a credit of $150 to be told sorry now just $75. The lady proceeds to say that she doesn't think it was because of the phone call not being made. What? Are you serious. WELL THAT WAS THE LAME EXCUSE I WAS GIVEN SO I COULD CARE LESS IF IT WASNT THE REAL REASON. THAT JUST MEANS I WAS LIED TO. I promise I will never buy Maytag Whirlpool again. One customer may not mean much to you but good customer service means everything to me.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Took delivery of this machine 9/24/2016. Started having problems several weeks ago. Repairman came out today and said it needed a new board $475. He said not worth repairing. Can buy new one for about $100 more. Said issue could be the fact that it is in a non climate controlled room. Beware when purchasing this machine. Did not expect to have to replace in just over 2 years. Will not be purchasing another Maytag!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I have had a number of Maytag washing machines in my life and have never disliked a machine as much as the last one I purchased! The bleach dispenser is awful and any bleach that happens to land on the outer rim has ruined many clothes. I took them to my dealer to show him the ruined clothes and was told bleach does not evaporate do must be wiped off each time. With no soap dispenser I find I have to put the soap in first and keep trying to fill the machine some before I add the clothes. This takes forever but if don't do this my clothes are stained. I purchased this machine on April 11, 2017 and can not afford to go buy another washer at this time. The Dealer can not help me and when I called Maytag they were not interested! Buyer beware!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Well bought this washer a little over 1.5 years ago in 2017. The display started going haywire, flashing, going on and off and would only go to the normal setting, most of the time. Called Maytag and had service come out and Maytag would cover parts and labor. Turned out the control panel went bad. About a week later found out today part was still back ordered and not available with no ETA. So was told Maytag would replace the unit. So until I find out whether or not they will actually replace it, I'm giving one star. Been holding for customer service for over 35 minutes now to verify what I was told. It's a shame because this washer was given a good review. It is a front loader.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

We bought a top load washer and the matching dryer. A thermal switch (I think it’s called) blew in the dryer at about two years. Luckily my husband is an electrician, so he took care of that. WASHER-A little after 2 years the plastic “driver hub” stripped And the agitator has stopped working, the door is having trouble locking and it won’t spin fast enough to get the water out of the clothes. I’ve ordered a new “driver hub” for $53! It is a cheap plastic part. Probably 1 cent to make in China. Robbery. This will hopefully resolve all 3 issues I’m having with the washer. They even charged me 9.99 shipping. $2000 later Maytag/Whirlpool should treat their customers like royalty. I will never ever buy another Maytag or other brands associated with Whirlpool ever again.

Maytag Washers & Dryers expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Maytag has been inside American homes for over 100 years and continues to provide innovative technology and great customer service.  The company is especially famous for its Maytag Man, a symbol of the company's dependability and dedication to service. Maytag continues to build success, with nearly five billion dollars in revenue generated in 2014. Their washers and dryers are available as top loading or front loading and can be configured to fit your laundry room’s space. Maytag’s innovative technology ensures your clothes get just the right amount of clean and just the right amount of dry, all while saving you time and money.

• Energy Star qualified: All of Maytag’s washers and dryers are Energy Star qualified, meaning they are energy efficient and will save you money compared with a machine that is not Energy Star qualified.

• Size capacity: All of the front loading and top loading models range from medium to extra large capacities, so you can buy one that works best for you based on the size of your average laundry load.

• Quiet: Maytag washers and dryers are quiet, so you can put them anywhere in your house, including closets and near bedrooms, without worrying about noise.

• Advanced Moisture Sensing: Maytag’s Advanced Moisture Sensing makes sure every article of clothing gets dry, from socks to towels. The sensor strips located inside the dryer measure moisture levels around the fabric of the clothes in the dryer. At the same time, inlet sensors determine air temperatures to stop the load at the appropriate time.

• Best for: Value hunters, families, individuals and customers who want a dependable brand.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs