Maytag Washers & Dryers

27people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with Maytag Washers & Dryers:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

Very disappointed with Maytag Bravos XL, four year old unit with bearings going out. Quoted $400 + for repair. With two in the house, wash demands are normal. Quality is questionable to have bearings & seal going out in four years. Also you cannot buy the bolt which holds the Washer Motor Rotor Cover on without buying the whole $130 assembly. Daughter has Whirlpool brand with same problem. Seems to me this is a problem Maytag/Whirlpool should address. My old unit (that I wish I still had), worked for 25 years. Would not recommend these machines.

Bought this washer back in March of 2016. This is the biggest piece of garbage that I ever came across! That washer does not clean clothes, when they are dirty. If I stand in the rain dressed in dirty clothes, they get cleaner than in the washing machine. In 5 month I have tried every possible variation of washing to no avail. I have to handwash the clothes that I wear to work in the garden, or any other dirty job, because the washing machine does not do the job! I bought that washer at ABC warehouse, I paid almost $400 for the thing, and I have to handwash my dirty clothes!!! Shame on you!!!

We used to own a Neptune Model. After always leaving the door opened and following the recommended monthly cleaning and many extra cleanings with diluted bleach and water, we could not get the smell out. We paid for a new seal, Advice from Washing Machine Repair service even though we paid a lot for an extended warranty. We had to pay for this ourselves. We also had our year to year maintenance. Because we could not fix the issue, nor would MAYTAG, we donated the set to donated it to Salvation Army.

We decided to give MAYTAG another chance, so we purchased a brand new FRONT-LOAD WASHER and DRYER in 2014. As I would repeat the same regiment, I would notice little black specks, so I would clean it an extra time with Afresh. I have continued to this date, repeating the same regiment of keeping my washer clean and serviced as we should, I now have the whole tray dispenser spotted with LARGE black goo that smells. So I have continued to clean my Washer.

After returning home from the Cleveland Clinic, I was ready to do our laundry from the trip, more black goo and smell coming from my Maytag front-load washer. My sister had stayed with my 86 year old mother and had wash a load of towels while we were gone. She left the door opened also as she was instructed many times, and that is how we found it. So I took the dispenser tray out as usual and bleached it and scrubbed it. As I did this I noticed bigger areas of goo. I looked in the dispenser housing and OMG it was covered with black mold. I am appalled that our $900.00 Washing Machine is like this. This IS BLACK MOLD, There is no way to remove this mold. I have the sides and bottom cleaned with bleach, BUT I cannot get into the multiple crevices.

I called Maytag and I was initially told by a Maytag Customer Service Person said that it sounds like BLACK MOLD and MAYTAG COULD DO NOTHING! I asked to speak with a supervisor. At first she seemed a little put off, but as we talked she became more pleasant, I offered to send pictures or a video of the WASHER WITH THE BLACK MOLD and she said no. She told me to pour bleach into each dispensing compartment and the drum. Then run a wash with no clothes on all HOT WATER 2 times, then rinse 2 times and this should get rid of it and to also leave the dispenser drawer open a crack as well as the door after each wash.

The Supervisor said ok and thanked her for her help. Then she said good luck and thanks for calling MAYTAG. I've did and already do everything our Washer manual says to do on cleaning and maintenance of my expensive Maytag Washer and dryer. The manual says nothing about leaving the dispenser drawer open a little so it dries. The bottom of the housing looks great from doing this, along with me scrubbing it until 5:00 am with diluted bleach water. However, in the MANY SEAMS, CREVICES, THE SCHUTE AND POSSIBLY THROUGHOUT THE WASHING MACHINE IS BLACK MOLD that we cannot access without disassembling the machine and voiding our extended warranty.

MOLD GROWS RAPIDLY and causes many illness. I already have an ongoing illness since childhood, I take care of my 86 year old mother, my husband just finished cancer treatment in January. We certainly do not need any other health issues. I called my local Appliance repair company and they said that they normally do not handle anything like this, but if my husband couldn't take the outside of the machine off then the top I could pay for a repair person to come out to take it apart then call and have them come back to put it back, pay them again to reassemble our Washer.

I believe Whirlpool in its purchase of Maytag has taken a Monkey on its back. Maytag will do nothing, why should they? They already have their money from when we purchased our machines along with money from many other consumers who also have ongoing issues with their WHIRLPOOL/MAYTAG Front-Load washing machines. It is undignified and deceitful how they treat their consumers with such disregard when we have filled their pockets by being loyal customers.

Word of mouth is good or bad advertisement for any company. Everyone who has unresolved issues of any kind can write a formal complaint to the CEO and President of Whirlpool/Maytag. The address is on the internet. Shame on Whirlpool/Maytag for taking many consumers hard earned money, when apparently some of Whirlpool/Maytag's money is ill gained by developing and manufacturing a consumer product that causes black mold and marketing it to sell to us, the consumer. THIS IS A SERIOUS ISSUE WHIRLPOOL/MAYTAG. OWN UP!!! My advertisement begins today!!!

Maytag Bravo XL -Model MVWB88OBWO. Washer quit after 13 months of light use. Repairman came, $148.00, worked on just a few setting for 4 loads. It has a bad controller and some other part. Total cost of repair, if I was stupid enough to make it, $650.00. Guess what's going to the trash. I guess that kind of negates the ECO-FRIENDLY, huh? I will NEVER own another Maytag appliance.

I'm have finally given up and purchased a replacement for my Maytag Bravos XL Top Loading High Efficiency Washer! The Maytag was 2 years old and I have ALWAYS had trouble with it. My towels became sour after 1 or 2 uses (sometimes they smell sour even before use!). My dark clothes ALWAYS came out of the wash LOADED with lint. I researched online to determine whether these were common problems and found several sites with suggestions such as: don't use more than 1-2 spoons full of high efficiency detergent (which recommendation I followed), Use white vinegar or liquid fabric softener. (I tried both with only minimal results.)

ALSO use a dryer sheet in the dryer (I did this but it seemed like a waste since I was already using fabric softener in the washer). Don't overload the washer. (I didn't, but if I couldn't fill it, then why did I buy a washer with such a large tub ?!) Clean the washer monthly. (I faithfully did so, and tried alternating Affresh and bleach to see if there's any difference in the result... not really. Make sure you are fully drying the towels (I ALWAYS DID!).

We had a Sears repair technician come to the house the last time my frustration level was overflowing and she only made me feel like an idiot, repeating some of the above recommendations and insisting they would solve the problem -- which, if they had worked, would have precluded my need to call a repair technician!!! The repair technician provided no other service or ideas to fix the problems. My husband decided we should go back to the tried and true agitator-type washer... bye-bye, Maytag Bravos.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maytag Washers & Dryers?

This machine (Top-Loading High Efficiency MVWB755DWO) does not clean, it only leaves soap and moldy residue on clothes. The Whirlpool company refuses to assist even though it was delivered less than a year ago. So much for warranties! Wrinkles clothes, wrings incorrectly and does not give you freedom to manage independent of technological controls.

I bought this washer brand new in 2011 for $650. I had bought a Maytag washer before in 1967 and it was still running in 1995 when I gave it away. Considering my first Maytag lasted me nearly 30 years (Last I heard the machine was still running in 2005), I never thought my new Maytag would give me any problems, until it was at least 10 years old. (I did know Maytag had been bought by Whirlpool but didn't expect any difference in quality). Boy, was I wrong! After using it for a month the machine broke down and it had to have the clutch and gear box replaced. Last week July 2016 the machine broke down again. It was the internal computer (referred to as the electric control unit) a printed circuit board that retails for approximately $300 (A ridiculous price given that much more complicated laptop and tablet computers today can be brought for $100, the circuit board should retail for no more than $40).

With labor the repair bill came to $550, which was nearly as much as a new machine and did not justify the cost. Supposedly the electric control is susceptible to current surges and power outages. Given that this is the case, it makes no sense whatsoever that a machine billed as eco-friendly would carry a part that will doom it to the junk pile because of a power surge or outage and does not carry a surge protector. After learning of my experience Maytag called me the next day and offered to sell me a new Maytag at a discount price, which of course I flat-out refused.

I would never ever again own a Maytag appliance or one made by its new owner (as of 2005) Whirlpool. With such susceptible electric units these appliances will sooner or later result in electric fires that will end the life of its owners. The US govt needs to protect US citizens from these predatory companies that make over-prized, throwaway products labeled as eco-friendly that are potentially dangerous. My advice for anyone that is thinking of buying a Whirlpool or Maytag washer don't do it. For those that already own these machines do not run them without a heavy duty surge protectors. It is not worth your life.

Back a couple years ago, Dec. 29, 1983, I purchased a Maytag washer, model A209, and a Maytag Dryer, model DG110. I'm still using them daily. The washer has given NO problems, other than the brake has taken to squealing. This causes nothing more than a notice that the load is done, so no repair is necessary. The dryer has proven more problematic, as I have had to replace the ignitor three times, the blower fan twice, and the motor (and belt) once. I still think I have gotten my money's worth.

Two years ago I bought a matched set of Maytag Neptune washer and dryer. Although I bought really liked the front loading and large capacity, I bought them because they were Maytags. I remember my parents grumbling that they couldn't afford a decent washer or dryer like Maytag and had to settle for Kenmore or some other brand that they figured was inferior. I noticed that they "struggled" through 20-25 years of maintenance free use of their inferior appliances. So when I found a pair of Maytag, I thought I had finally arrived. I was 60 years old and I knew this would be the last washer and dryer I would ever have to buy.

It is now 2 years later and we developed dryer problems. The repairman found the computer malfunctioning and suggested it would be cheaper to replace than to repair. We asked him to check the washer while he was here and his diagnosis was similar. The drum bearings were gone and probably too expensive to repair. The Maytags are now in some scrap yard and I now have an "inferior" washer and dryer and I am looking forward to many years of maintenance free "struggles." I used to think that "Maytag repairmen are the loneliest people" because their machines were reliable. I now know that they are lonely because all of the "Maytags are garbage and not worth fixing."

We purchased a washer and dryer, spent in the neighborhood of 1000.00 hard earned $$... extended warranty, the whole enchilada. Maytag. dependable, lonely repair man, ha.. that is just so much stuff. Well anyway it was a Centennial set. What junk. Never really worked that well to begin with. I trashed them both after exhausting all avenues to make it right. Well I got the hair to report the mess to consumer affairs and see if they are what they claim to be. This is more of a warning to all consumers.

The stuff you consume today isn't worth the money you pay for it. The money isn't worth the time you spent to earn it. I am gonna try to find a old washer and rebuild it, and a dryer as well. Or just use solar. Best to keep the old stuff repaired and running. I don't know how many people I have spoken to about this problem. Our infrastructure is crumbling. A consumer based economy. Only there is not anyone to service the products we consume... pitiful. I guess my wife will be out back with a tub and washboard before it is all said and done... she will not like it, I guarantee that. I could not even begin to repair the washer. It was a computer operated board that did not work correctly from the beginning. The dude came out from the repair shop and fixed it while still under warranty. It died a slow painful death shortly after that. I disassembled it with a screwdriver and now have potatoes growing in the tub.

The dryer has not met the same fate yet. It just sits there, anticipating the moment when I remove it and dissect it with a Sawzall. And I guarantee that day is coming. Do not buy anything from Maytag or its subsidiaries, think long term. We have become a bic lighter economy. I have been on the forefront of that movement. I did not realize it at the time. I do now. and for that I am sorry. I always expect something to work when I need it and if it doesn't, I try to repair it. Cannot fix this stuff now. The support we used to take for granted has been outsourced as well as the production of the product. Bob Dylan said it best in the song "union sundown"... Thank you and e pluribus unum.

This is the WORSE POS I have ever owned/used/etc.... our clothes are dirty, w/ a scummy film, really bad in most cases. Some have weird stain appear that weren't there. Electric & water bills up. Have to always use deep water wash, double rinse. My clothes are wet when I put them in due to "sensor" fill (extra weight), also a zillion mesh bags. Clothes are getting trashed, faded so bad & smell bad. Having to use a cleansing product monthly, in one aspect, should encourage the engineers that signed off on this POS to change careers. Maytag customer service says "no complaints have been filed!!!" Horse **!!! $ 800.00, trashed, unclean, wrinkled "to the point of almost needing to iron all your clothes". I have been going to the laundromat. Engineers should have been FORCED to use this machine at least 2 months.... good reviews my **.

I am 86 years old and have happily owned Maytag washers for many years. I just recently purchased the front loading model for ease of access. After using it for sometime, I could not be more disappointed. The clothes come out smelly, stained and gray. I tried using affresh washer cleaner on hot setting and the tablet did not even dissolve. There is black mold growing and must be cleaned constantly. I am so sad that my favorite company has let us down. I cannot afford to buy another washer so I am stuck with this lemon!

We purchased a set of Maytag appliances (our third set) in February. We noticed that lint was being spewed in front of our and our neighbors front doors and throughout the landscaping. We live in a condominium and share our front area with 8 other units. We had our vent cleaned out twice and are still having the same issue. We have had at least 4-5 dryers in the past and have never had this issue before. We finally contacted Maytag and requested service. Gary from Brandt's Appliance came out and checked it out and after taking apart the housing found the screen left a gap and that lint was getting past the screen. He brought in a new screen and tried that and it did the same thing, left a gap. So he said he would order a new housing and see if that would solve the problem.

There are 8 other units that share our front area, all with dryer vents that don't spew out lint. Gary returned today and checked the new housing with the screen and the same issue was present, a gap where lint would get by. He went to his truck and made a call to Maytag for further instructions. They gave him a file number (**) to give me and said there was nothing else they could do. I then called customer service and talked to three people and explained the issue three times and each one stated there was nothing wrong with lint being spewed out of the vent.

Now, we have never had this issue before and have owned Maytag dryers in the past. Gary even stated he did not feel this was normal, but was told by tech support that it was. We feel also this is not normal and also is a fire hazard by letting lint gather in the duct unnecessarily. It is also a constant eye sore to us and our neighbors. Since lints blows out, it lands not just at the front doors but in landscaping where it is difficult to remove. After my final chat with Tanya #**, she said there was nothing to be done that it was buyers remorse!! Nowhere in the Maytag manual/guide that came with the dryer does it state the it is normal to have lint come out of the exhaust hood. In fact in the manual it says not to use it if the screen is loose.

I asked Tanya if I could talk with next person up the chain and she said she was it, so that is why I'm contacting you. This is just unacceptable for a company as large as yours not to resolve an issue as important as this. This is truly a design flaw and we are left holding the bag because your team says there is nothing wrong. So we and our neighbors are suffering because of it. We would like a quick resolution because it not fair to litter up our common areas with lint. This is a hardship because we are limiting the use of the dryer and cannot pick up all the lint off the landscaping. We will be happy to exchange this dryer with a different model with a different lint trap design.

I purchased a Maytag washer and dryer three years ago. They both were taken to recycling and I received eleven dollars for both of them. They were both horrible. The transmission went out on the washer. The repairman said not worth fixing since it would cost $600.00 to repair. He said Maytag appliances are being outsourced and are not what they used to be. Even before the transmission went out it took forever to wash and the clothes smelled when I took them out of the washer. The dryer quit heating a few days after the washer went out. The repairman said it wouldn't be worth repairing it either. I will never buy another Maytag!!

I bought my Maytag about 3 years ago. Have had continuous problems and now the whole barrel has broke and dropped down. I was treated with disrespect from the repair man and will never buy another Maytag washer.

This is the most horrible washer ever. Within 3 months it would not go beyond sensing mode and never fill or wash. Tech came and fixed it... 3 times. It still happens and I have to jiggle it all around to activate it. Clothes are never clean, dog hair is never washed out... My broken old agitator machine was taken to the dump & I wish I had it back! How do the stores give this machine a good rating?? I can't do light quick washes, I have to wait forever... Our water bill is 2x higher than ever because if I don't fill the tub with deep water, the clothes don't even all get wet. Hate, hate, hate this thing.

This washer is awful. We had repair guy out within year one 3 times. Changed the door gasket because it was a "known problem". That did not fix problems. We have to drain and clean out hard to reach filter monthly, socks get caught in drain filter constantly. Horrible, horrible, horrible. Hate it.

I have only had this machine for 2 weeks after having a Maytag since 1994. Even broken, my old machine was far superior to this one, a Maytag Bravos. Fortunately, the salesman noted that I wouldn't be happy with this machine but, thanks to a government mandate, all new machines behave in a similar manner to save water and energy. This agitator-less machine neither washes nor rinses the clothes/bedding/towels properly. It takes four times as long to wash the items but doesn't get them nearly as clean.

Today, I put 2 pairs of shorts, 2 T-shirts and a standard bed-sized mattress cover in to wash. The mattress cover never even got thoroughly wet even though I used the deep wash and extra rinse settings. Last week I put sheets in the sheet setting only to have them come out totally wrinkled and stiff as a board with soap even though I used the recommended amount of detergent. This is a disaster. Shame on Whirlpool/Maytag and the U.S. Govt. A river and a flat rock would work better!

Belt broke in inside under tub after 13 months $150. Now another year and I am getting an error message F51 and it stops washing. I'm done. Old Maytag lasted 14 years. This is done in 2. I'm not paying any more to have it fixed for whatever F51 is. I'm cutting my losses now. Hate this machine the way it washes anyway. Always feel like it's gonna take off for Mars to join Matt Damon. HA. I try to laugh to stop being mad. Don't buy these. It gets no stars. And after reading other reviews, it deserves none. Shame on this company! Ugh, it's making me put a star rating. But I say none.

We purchased this Maytag washer. My wife liked it at first, but after a few months she kept complaining the wash stinks, and I can also say that. I complained to my wife about the smell of our wash, especially the wash towels. The wash was turning colors and some we threw away. My wife has been complaining about all this for months and years and said she will never buy another washer like this. Then about two years ago, she was having trouble with codes coming up. We called service, but didn't get any help, so I looked on internet and found the problem with the code. I took the washer apart and cleaned the tube out and the washer worked, but every now and then my wife needs to climb over washer and unplug, let sit, then replug back in and start it to get rid of code. My wife and I are very upset with this washer!

SO SO disappointed. I thought by purchasing a Maytag washer and dryer that I was purchasing quality products. Not so. After only 3 yrs, the dryer is broken. It needs a new heating element assembly at $139 plus a visit from the technician and installation. In total, it will cost about $300 to repair. The washer is slowly going also. It takes about 2 minutes before it starts. Never used to do that. The technician told me that these do not last and that the computer is likely to go in another couple of years which will cost $400 to repair. I called Maytag to see what they could do for me. They offered the part at 1/2 price but insisted on another diagnosis even though I've already had one. That along with their labor cost was going to cost more than anyone else. So no more Maytag products for me.

Not only does the water not drain properly causing an insane amount of stench of moldy water being trapped, but this washer has had nothing but problems since we got it. Error code after error code, problem after problem. So disappointed. My husband wanted an LG and I said it had to be Maytag because Maytag was the best. Thanks for making me a liar Maytag!

I bought the Maytag MVWX700XL1 (Bravos X) model in 2012 from Home Depot. I paid over $800 for this washer. I knew I was in trouble when I found dry spots on clothes after the washing completed. I started using the "Bulky" cycle. So much for saving water. It has not been overused, it's only two of us. Today the spin cycle sounds like a train. The washing cycle has stopped working completely. I'm very dissatisfied with this washer.

Worst washer ever. My clothes I have to wash a few times before they all get wet. Not a good washer at all. Has all the bells and whistles. Lets me know when the washer is done or its unbalanced... my washer is crap. I've had it maybe a year now. I now have to buy another one. Why? Because this one sucks literally... it's Maytag commercial technology.

Our new washing machine (Maytag Maxima XTLM Front Load Steam Washer & Dryer w/ Pedestals) has developed a loud knocking while running which the authorized whirlpool repair provider said was due to internal ball bearings. He said that the washing machine caused the pedestal to become "warped" and the only way to stop the knocking was to replace the pedestal. Whirlpool refuses to replace the pedestal saying that the pedestal must have come that way or was installed incorrectly or was overloaded. There are only two of us and we never "overloaded" at all. The knocking started several months after the installation. If the pedestal was defective (came that way), why won't Whirlpool replace it under their warranty?

I'm living in a shop lot area and it's near a university school. It has different laundromat stores here, and the cheapest is the one who have Maytag washers. So I've been going there to wash clothes and as time passes, I noticed that the clothes have been getting stains after washing and these stains cannot be removed easily. I've read reviews about clothes getting stained using Maytag washers and I can't believe that it happened to me. I don't know what's with Maytag that makes the clothes dirty/stained. I went to other laundromat stores that are not using Maytag washers. It's quite expensive, but it really makes your clothes clean.

Purchased a new Maytag washer and dryer in November 2015 after having a old set not Maytag for 25 years with no repairs. WOW. Then the new washer went out in Feb. 2016, now the dryer in May 2016. Very unhappy. Is it because the machines are now made in Mexico? Cheap labor and cheap parts. ICK!!! Thank god for the extended warranty.

This was my first Maytag, will definitely be my last. I purchased the combo washer and dryer from Home Depot in 2014. So far it has broken down 4 times needing major parts replaced. The first 2 times it broke within 3 months of owning the machine, so I called Maytag and made very irate complaints and was able to get the 1-year factory warranty extended by another 6 months. This month (May) marks the end of their extended warranty and lo and behold, the machine broke again! I called Maytag again, asking to speak with supervisors instead of customer service reps. They refused to put me on the phone with anyone higher up. I got as far as a customer service manager and she wouldn't budge. Her response was: "If the machine breaks again, call us back and we will be happy to review your case at that time."

I assured her that the machine would definitely break again, because it is a lemon and has broken 4 times already and wanted satisfaction NOW!! She refused to continue speaking with me and told me to call back if and when the machine breaks again. I am deeply disappointed in Maytag as a company. They had a wonderful reputation way back when, but their customer service department is sorely lacking along with selling a sub-standard product that they will not stand by. I plan on taking this matter further. I am a business owner as well as a single mom, and have no time for broken down machines and nonsense.

I have recently purchased a washing machine. Within the first week I was calling a repair person to fix it. I HATE this machine, and I don't think that it's fair that I get stuck with it because of the way it was made. I have to constantly redo the load because it doesn't drain and rinse. When the load is done the clothes are still soaked. I don't understand how technology can go backwards when it comes to washing clothes. SOOO DISAPPOINTED!!!

MVWX655DW1 - Just arrived. Clothes on top barely get wet and moved around. I could do a better job hand washing in a bucket!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Maytag has been inside American homes for over 100 years and continues to provide innovative technology and great customer service.  The company is especially famous for its Maytag Man, a symbol of the company's dependability and dedication to service. Maytag continues to build success, with nearly five billion dollars in revenue generated in 2014. Their washers and dryers are available as top loading or front loading and can be configured to fit your laundry room’s space. Maytag’s innovative technology ensures your clothes get just the right amount of clean and just the right amount of dry, all while saving you time and money.

• Energy Star qualified: All of Maytag’s washers and dryers are Energy Star qualified, meaning they are energy efficient and will save you money compared with a machine that is not Energy Star qualified.
  • Size capacity: All of the front loading and top loading models range from medium to extra large capacities, so you can buy one that works best for you based on the size of your average laundry load.
  • Quiet: Maytag washers and dryers are quiet, so you can put them anywhere in your house, including closets and near bedrooms, without worrying about noise.
  • Advanced Moisture Sensing: Maytag’s Advanced Moisture Sensing makes sure every article of clothing gets dry, from socks to towels. The sensor strips located inside the dryer measure moisture levels around the fabric of the clothes in the dryer. At the same time, inlet sensors determine air temperatures to stop the load at the appropriate time.
  • Best for Value hunters, families, individuals and customers who want a dependable brand.

Compare Washers and Dryers