Save on Appliance Repairs

With the Best Home Warranty

Compare Quotes

2972 Maytag Washers & Dryers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 19, 2019

I purchased a washer & dryer from Lowe's on December 3rd. On February 20th, my washer stopped filling up. I called customer service and had someone come out a few days later. The repairman said the sensor broke & it would take 10 days for part to come in. After 2 weeks, I tried calling repair company and they would not answer phone for Maytag, or me. Maytag called another service provider, and it will be another week before part comes in. Never could get in touch with anyone who was helpful! Now it’s been a month, and still not fixed!

Original review: March 19, 2019

Maytag washer model MVWC416FW1. This is the worst washer ever. I only had this washer for 1 year and 2 months. Oil leaks from the bottom all over my floor. The washer is soooooooo loud you can probably hear it down the street when it is on spin cycle and the start button works when it wants. I called Maytag and they told me if a service man come it may not be covered and I will have to pay out of pocket. The 10 year warranty listed on top of the washer and dryer only covers the parts not the labor. Very disappointed. It's a good thing I purchased an extended warranty but I don't know what will they do. 1 year and may be buying another washer. It DEFINITELY won't be a Maytag. If I could rate this a 0 I would.

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 14, 2019

This Maytag Centennial with commercial technology washer has ruined a couple of thousand of dollars of clothing, maybe 10 to 12 of my favorite shirts (ripped holes around the top of the pockets), bath towels and sheets and comforters and hand knitted small blankets that can never be replaced. It tore holes in nearly everything that was made out of cotton, I was doing spring cleaning and I normally wash most of my summer clothing, but this time this washing machine destroyed nearly all my summer clothing. This washing machine came with the house I just purchased. (I gave my older Maytag washer and dryer to some needy folks which worked great when I moved here). Disappointed in MAYTAG. Will never buy another Maytag!

Original review: March 9, 2019

Purchase washer and dryer January 26th, had delivered said February 2nd. Had a horrible delivery service, delivery men were very rude and scratched the dryer. Washer never worked correctly, called and had exchange set up for February 9. Washer was delivered on February 9 and again we had a horrible experience with the delivery drivers. They scratched the washer. The owner of the delivery company came to our home making sure everything was correct. Washer worked well for two and a half weeks. Then I noticed the water was slowing down when it was filling. Then this morning the washer completely stopped filling. We called Maytag and they told us we could not get anybody here until next Saturday. They were rude on the phone. We then called Home Depot where we purchased it and said we want to return the washer and dryer. They said we cannot return it. We are stuck with it.

Now we've been arguing with Home Depot and Maytag all morning trying to get someone to my home to get the washer fixed. This set cost $1,400 and Maytag is not supporting us on selling us 2 lemon washing machines. We are stuck because we can't return them or exchange them. Home Depot gave us an option to exchange for a lesser model that they have in stock. When you read the reviews for that model the reviews are terrible. I would highly recommend that you do not purchase a Maytag or Whirlpool product. Their company does not stand behind their products or their workmanship. If I had the opportunity I would return these to the store. But it has been over 30 days and I believe that is not an option. Stuck with a lemon. Very sad that customer service is so crappy on an American-made product.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I am retired and have always had dogs in my life. My recent purchase of a new Maytag top loading washer has been very frustrating. There is barely enough water to measure in an oversize tub. The placard on the lid, and in the owner manual clearly show three levels of water. Each load takes twice the time as I am used to with my older Kenmore washer. I am forced to cut my loads in two or three, and use more water and energy to do a job that used to take less than half the time, water and electricity. I have had warranty repair to replace the control board twice, but nothing has changed. The repair techs both said there is one program on new washers, the knobs and settings do nothing, and recommended I "get used to it". They explained the EPA is responsible for all changes to 'Protect consumers from harm'. WHAT???

I wish I had never bought this unit - if I could get my Kenmore back I would, in a hot minute! What a waste of a large tub to properly wash pet bedding and bedspreads/pillows, when there is only 3-4 inches of water! I wasted an entire paycheck, when I could have gotten my other unit repaired or rebuilt. I am seriously frustrated, I am searching for an older washer unit to get back to doing my laundry without being forced into a laundromat for pet bedding and larger items!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maytag Washers & Dryers?

Original review: March 5, 2019

We bought this Maytag washer 3 mo. ago and now need work done on it. We were told that they could not find anyone willing to come work in this area. We live in the Mississippi Delta, 30 miles so. of Greenville, 50 miles no. of Vicksburg or 90 miles from Jackson. So I guess the Maytag repairman is not just lonely anymore, he doesn't exist.

Original review: March 5, 2019

We have had a Maytag Bravos washer for a while, which has a see-through top load lid and a very small or low agitator. I have to say that I really miss the old fashioned agitator which makes all the clothes being dragged underwater and scrubbed well. We have watched the loads being washed in this washer many times and the clothes are not being swished around very effectively. You feel like you need to help it getting the clothes washed as it seem like it just sit in the same place throughout the cycle.

The clothes ends up in big knots around the edges, and you can see the same towel sitting on the top during the 2-minute rinse cycle, never getting completely under water. During the wash cycle, the lid gets locked, so you are not able to open it up to untangle or move towels around if it has gotten unevenly distributed. The wash cycle is very quick, so all in all, I'm not sure how clean the laundry really is when it's done. We will never buy this kind of washer again.

Original review: March 4, 2019

Bravos XL MCT model#MVWB835DW. Bought this new. After 2 weeks called Maytag. Washing machine did not work. I called off and on for 7 months to Maytag customer service. During this time they tried to do troubleshooting over the phone. Sent technician out. He said that there was problems with this model, that they were working on updates and would get back to me.

10 months after installation, technician came out. Washing machine worked, but still took 2 to 3 hours to wash one load of clothes. Started calling Maytag again. Washer now take 3 to 5 hours to wash load of clothes. You also have to do extra spin cycles (1 to 9 times) to get water out. A year later they send technician out. He tells me that this machine wasn't made to do loads larger than medium, that it cannot wash heavy items such as sweaters, sweatshirts, towels, blankets or comforters. That the normal cycle is not to be used. This is not a working function on this model. It is there because of regulations. Called back to Maytag. They said it was out of warranty and that there was nothing that they could do.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I purchased the Maytag Bravos XL MVBW755DW Washer and MGDB755DW Dryer in July 2016. Shame on me for not making my complaint sooner. They offer the Tide Pods for use but they don't completely dissolve and leave a residue/stain on the clothing. I have to wash everything on "Deep Water Wash" just to try to get them to come clean. Clothes will come out dry in some spots, they will have fabric softener stains on them, the pre-treated stains are still there once washed. Lint residue will be left on just about every piece of clothing. The fabric softener/detergent dispenser's left side is rusting and I have to pull it out and clean it once a week. I can't get to the track on the inside to try to clean it and soon that will deteriorate and the dispenser will no longer slide into place. If I could attach pictures I would. Now moving on to the dryer, it dries clothes great.

My only complaint at this point is that when the cycle is getting ready to shut off it sounds like a jet engine and rattles terribly. To sum this up, I called customer service this morning. They said nothing that I am explaining to them sounds as though it is a manufacturer's defect. They said they will send a tech out to review at a fee of $99.95 plus the cost of any labor associated with the repair. They did however offer to pay for the parts. Now my question to them is if none of my issues are a manufacturer's defect then why would you offer to pay for the parts? The unit(s) are no longer under warranty... Think twice, gather as much information as you possibly can prior to making a major purchase. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I bought a brand new Maytag washer and dryer at Home Depot and did not use until a week later when I found out that the washer did not spin out the water and the machine turned off automatically when cycle was not finished. As a result my load was soaking wet. I called Maytag customer service and they sent the technician. I was standing next to the technician to see what was wrong with the washer. After checking several things and seeing the unresponsive of the washer the technician told me the control unit failed and the clutch also failed. He had to order the parts and it will take at least a week for him to come back and fix it.

I called Maytag customer services and complained about the brand new washer and ask them to replace it with a new one as I don't know if the problems returns and it doesn't have just one failing part. Both the controlling unit and the clutch were failed. Also i bought a brand new products I expect it to work. I don't want to pay for brand new washer and I could not use it plus it took so much of my time going back and forth between Home Depot and Maytag. It was so stressful and I had tons of laundry that need to be done. I also had to take half a day off to call the Maytag customer services and Home Depot.

During my first call with Maytag customer services I asked them to call my local Home Depot so Home Depot will allow me to exchange for another Maytag washer. They had refused at first but when I told them all the reasons above they agreed to call Home Depot and allow the replacement. They asked to hang on the phone while they were calling Home Depot and finally confirmed with me that I could go there and do the replacement.

Surprisingly when I came to Home Depot they said they did not get any notes or call from Maytag regarding my PO# and the replacement. I had to wait for 1hr and 15 minutes for the Home Depot to be able to connect to Maytag customer services and we had to wait for their supervisor to approve the replacement. I was so disappointed later to hear Maytag supervisor telling Home Depot that I had to wait for the repair and they did not approve the replacement. It's really a waste of time and money to buy Maytag products and they don't honor what they said to customers. Once you pay them they take your money and don't really care whether their product is worth the money consumers spend on them. In general it's a rip-off!!! Stay away from Maytag products if you don't want to waste your time and money!!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

These are the issues, Water level is ridiculous, clothes often have dry spots, I use only the high water level which is a joke. The tub bottom is very hard to reach because it is too deep even for a man with a long reach. The tub itself is about 16” deep but never fills more than 4” of water on the high water setting. Why such a deep wide tub when you can only put 4” of water? Cleaning is poor, the machine is very noisy, very.

The worst machines we have ever purchased with ridiculous sensors, bells and whistles. The dryer takes forever to dry clothes and again the sensors are a joke. The high efficiency of the units means you work much longer for clothes that are wrinkled, spotted, less clean looking and sometimes damaged. Where is the savings? And don’t say hydro and water as the washer cleaner cost, wipes that out and more. We gave our 26 year old machines to Habitat, neither machine was ever serviced and were in perfect condition, they were Maytag. They have destroyed their name. So sorry we decided to modernize our laundry room.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

We purchased a new Maytag washer and dryer from Home Depot; a couple months later the dryer started to rattle so we contacted Maytag and they sent a service tech out who stated this was normal as the dryer was settling and parts are not as tight as they are when new. This was a garbage response and he was asked to leave. I contact Maytag again, told them of the problem and the tech response and they offered to send another tech out except I would have to pay for the service call since they already sent someone out. I sent them an audio file of the rattle, no reply. Eventually Home Depot ended up replacing the dryer as Maytag refused to help me despite it being in the warranty period.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

When I attempted to contact Maytag about an issue in my 3 month old washer all I received is an automated email back saying to contact one of the repair places on their website. There was one, so I notified Maytag I would contact them. I contacted them. They said Maytag had not notified them that this was a warranty repair and if I wanted them to come out I would have to pay for it. I have attempted to contact Maytag several times to get this straight. Guess they are trying to wait out the warranty to respond. Will NOT EVER buy another Maytag. Too bad they used to be a good product.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I specifically bought the washer because it has an agitator and you have a setting for more water if you need it. My previous washer had no agitation and really miss that. Seemed like clothes got cleaner. On this machine the agitator is certainly helpful, but there is so little water sometimes I find a pair of jeans with dry spots when load is complete. No, I do not overload the machine. If I change the setting to add more water I don’t see a difference in the amount of water that comes in. I find myself frequently adding an extra rinse. I feel that while making the new washing machines eco friendly they have cut back on water conservancy too much. At the very least the consumer should have more options as to levels of water. I would not buy this brand again.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

It washes extremely well. It's reliable. The wifey loves it and that's enough for me!!! I have had no major mechanical issues. Since 2012 we use it heavily and every other day. I would purchase same brand if need be but I'm confident that would probably be in 2024.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I would not recommend the Maytag washer with the large tub. It does not clean your clothes. I called Maytag and they do not care as long as it uses as little water as possible! Not a good value for the money!! That was the first time and last time I buy a Maytag... That's the last $5000 they will get from us!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Bought a Maytag front load washer. When it is operating it is very loud. Some parts of the washer are made of cheap plastic. The Optimum detergent dispenser also of cheap plastic failed after 1 month. Disappointed in finding out only the outside metal box was made in America. All inside components are made in China which raised the cost $300 due to recent tariffs.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

My washer is great. It get the job done. Have no agitator so I can wash 2 comforters. I really like Maytag Heavy Duty. Can get the job done right the first time. Self clean itself also. Also it is a efficiency.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Maytag is owned by Whirlpool and seems not to be that same dependable machine it once was before Whirlpool bought them. The old Maytags lasted for decades. Mine lasted less than a month after the warranty expired before needing to be repaired.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

This Maytag washer and dryer are far more superior than the units I had before. It is also made in USA which makes me feel like it will not fail me as soon as the others. The agitation when washing anything is something else I love. I will buy more Maytag in the future.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Bought a Maytag Washer & Dryer and after only 4 years the front panel went...cost to replace part only $653.55. After expressing concern about the price Maytag cut the cost of the part in half - now installed $475.00. Disposable dryer. Choked on it and decided to go ahead with the repair. Part was to be in in a week and it is now been a month. Maytag/Parts supplier no idea where the part is and doesn't return phone calls. Have to use the laundromat (family of 5). More money out of pocket. Not to mention time. Called Maytag again to complain about the service and having to pay more money out of pocket to use the laundromat. They basically told me, "Too bad." Have used Maytag appliances over the years and always been satisfied but the company is clearly going downhill.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I bought this new washer and dryer pair at Lowe's August 2018. I chose this brand because of the very large wash tub (5.3 cu ft) since I have king size bedding. My previous washer was a front loader, and there were problems with the door seal molding and stinking, and loads had dry spots on them after washing. So within a very short time, I realized I hated this new washer. Very noisy, no agitator, very long cycles. You cannot adjust the time or water levels, and the biggest problem... I CANNOT REACH THE BOTTOM OF THE TUB! I had to steal the grabby toy out of our toy box to pull the wet load out! The laundry comes out all tangled up and horribly wrinkled, even when using the "wrinkle-free" setting. I line dry a lot of my clothes and now have to iron everything. Never had to do that before. I know I'm stuck with this set, but will look forward to the day when it dies and I can buy new ones again.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Both my washer and dryer are Maytag. Dryer element shorted out but was still under warranty so was fixed. Washer is very loud and now makes a rattling sound. Every so often it will hang in the middle of a cycle and the lid won't open until I unplug it.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I bought a set of Maytag. I love the look of them!! But I'm finding that they don't wash my comforters very well. I've tried different washing products, different water temps etc. Any suggestion????

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I have Maytag Neptune washer and dryer that was purchased in 2002. They're still going strong. It's a great size for empty nesters like us, but if you have a big family, you might want to consider a larger capacity.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I bought a used Maytag for $150. It was a heavy duty washing machine. Excellent machine. I ended up giving it to my son. He still has the washing machine and it's working just fine. I couldn't have asked for a better machine. As of now, the washer is about thirty years old. I would say that's excellent.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Washer is noisy and water does not saturate clothes on normal wash. Have to use sheet setting for small or large load. Washer changes gears and it is so loud and clanks like something is falling apart.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I have a gas dryer from Maytag that works very well. Very easy to use and economical using it with propane. I'm pleased with my purchase. I've had it now for about 8 months. I would recommend buying another one.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

The HE version of Maytag washer leaves the clothes smelling bad. There are suggestions to remedy this, but why do these type washers cause this? The suggestions don't work. No more HE washers of any brand.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I had my Maytag washer and dryer just barely over 30 days. My washer sounded awful and I had to get a new motor. Then my clothes would come out with dry spots. Not enough water. The computer was replaced and within a few months of purchase, all the major parts of my washer were replaced. I hate it! My clothes still come out with dry spots and it is loud. Worst major purchase I made. Dryer so far has been ok.

Maytag Washers & Dryers expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Maytag has been inside American homes for over 100 years and continues to provide innovative technology and great customer service.  The company is especially famous for its Maytag Man, a symbol of the company's dependability and dedication to service. Maytag continues to build success, with nearly five billion dollars in revenue generated in 2014. Their washers and dryers are available as top loading or front loading and can be configured to fit your laundry room’s space. Maytag’s innovative technology ensures your clothes get just the right amount of clean and just the right amount of dry, all while saving you time and money.

• Energy Star qualified: All of Maytag’s washers and dryers are Energy Star qualified, meaning they are energy efficient and will save you money compared with a machine that is not Energy Star qualified.

• Size capacity: All of the front loading and top loading models range from medium to extra large capacities, so you can buy one that works best for you based on the size of your average laundry load.

• Quiet: Maytag washers and dryers are quiet, so you can put them anywhere in your house, including closets and near bedrooms, without worrying about noise.

• Advanced Moisture Sensing: Maytag’s Advanced Moisture Sensing makes sure every article of clothing gets dry, from socks to towels. The sensor strips located inside the dryer measure moisture levels around the fabric of the clothes in the dryer. At the same time, inlet sensors determine air temperatures to stop the load at the appropriate time.

• Best for: Value hunters, families, individuals and customers who want a dependable brand.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs