Maytag Washers & Dryers

Compare Washers and Dryers

Research top Washers and Dryers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Recently I purchased a Maytag Bravo Washer and Dryer. These two items are the single worst appliances I have ever purchased. They are loud, ball the clothes into a knot and run forever. I plan to sell them on Craigslist and buy a Speed Queen.

Water level is totally inaccurate, if you do get enough water in it, it will not spin clothes dry. This is the worst purchase I have bought in my entire life. This washing machine fails in every aspect period!! AND the matching dryer is a waste of space as well, clothes come out damp regardless of setting or time period. When I was younger, Maytag meant something, not anymore! I have searched to see if there are replacement sensors, or upgraded components to make these machines work properly, that I would even be willing to pay for myself and get them installed to make them functional, but NO they don't even offer that... we are just stuck with them.

My water bill is higher and my electric bill is higher too! From these machines. I wouldn't even sell them used to another person. I wouldn't want them to inherit these problems, but as soon as I can save up enough money {being disabled} I will get these hauled off and buy a set of Speed Queen machines. My wife and I are so repeatedly disgusted!! I wish I had the receipt so I could post it for more proof.

Maytag washer mvwc565fw: You have heard about how noisy they are & don't fill up enough water unless you set it on deep water wash. I can't get the right water temp. It's cold, cold warm. No hot at all. Sorry I ever bought the piece of junk. Only have had it a month too. The last washer I had it at least lasted 4 years. Wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.

The Maytag Bravos washing machine (Model No. MVWB75OWQ1 Type 580) is the worst I've ever owned. The low water level obviously is not sufficient to clean the clothes as the clothes come out still dirty. I pre-treat stains carefully and follow all of the directions and 9 times out of 10, my clothes come out with the stain still there.

The clothes never smell clean. In fact, they have an odor. My t-shirts still have a smell of BO under the arms and some of my clothes still smell like my perfume. They just aren't clean. I feel like we put our dirty clothes in this machine and they agitate around in a little pool of water for an hour and they come out still dirty. The machine frequently gets off balance and shuts down too. If I had the money to trash this one and go buy another one - I'd do it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately - I'm stuck with this piece of junk until I can afford to buy a new one. This was a total waste of money and Maytag should be ashamed that they have not recalled it and given its customers a replacement option.

I bought this dryer 3 years ago and the fuse has blown three times. The dryer gets really hot and blows a fuse. The entire back of the dryer is clean and free of lint, the hose on the back, and the ventilation pipe running out of the house are completely clear, but the dryer continues breaking down. The Whirlpool NC folks have been out here three times yet it has broken down once again. I should not have to purchase another dryer after only three years!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maytag Washers & Dryers?

Maytag washer, top loader, Bravo series: We purchased Maytag washer and dryer 4 years ago. Last week, the washer started sounding like a 747 was landing in our laundry room. Maytag sent a service representative and informed us that the bearings were faulty and it would cost at least $800 to fix. It is appalling that a 4 year old appliance should fail like this. We will buy a different make and we will never buy any Maytag appliance again. This is such poor quality and worse service. Maytag would only offer a 30-40% off a washer, but only if we bought it directly from them. We can get a better offer from any local store. They also said we could get a discount on the part we need, but not the service. Do not, I repeat, do not buy Maytag anything. You will regret the purchase.

Why is it when you wash dark clothes they come out with white spots which looks like soap. I have put very little soap and it still appears. I usually wash in cold water so I tried warm water - same result. I have had a Maytag for a least 40 years never had this problem - what is it I am doing wrong? I have to wash and rinse at least 2 more times. I would appreciate a answer so I can fix this.

Bad decision, Purchased in 2013 a Bravos by Maytag. After 3 years, it sounds like a jet engine taking off. The bearing is failing, sad as Maytag advertises to be the best. In 35 years, this is our 4th washer, actually the 1st was a hand-me-down that lasted longer. Unfortunately, we thought spending more and believing that Maytag would last longer was a mistake. Cost to repair is over half of the cost, so we have elected to run to fail. Then replace the Maytag that should have lasted at least 10 years. Warning. Purchase at your own risk. DO NOT buy this machine or any by Maytag, could be the same results. Or it could be that they are manufactured under Lowe's specifications. From all the complaints the Maytag repair technicians are working, not setting around as they advertise. Only blaming myself for the purchase.

I purchased a washer/dryer, Maytag from Home Depot Nashville. It was delivered and set up. 02/24/17 the date of purchase, delivered 03/07/17. I have tried in every way to get the washer to wash properly, but to no avail. The water level doesn't cover the clothes, it takes 10 to 15 minutes for the wash to begin its cycle. It doesn't spin the clothes dry enough to put into the dryer. The washer makes all kinds of sounds that's drives you nuts while setting up to not wash your clothes clean. I have contacted Maytag on several occasion about this problem, they sent out someone to service the washer. Now, why would a brand new washer need servicing. Something's wrong. It isn't functioning up to standards and they should give me another washer.

Now on 05/18/17 the washer was serviced, I have called them again to do something about this piece of **. I was told that the only thing they could do is come service it again. Why, must this brand new washer be serviced every week. It doesn't make sense... I don't want this machine, I want my money back so I can purchase a machine that will wash my clothes properly. I purchased a secondhand washer and dryer from a used appliance store, it lasted my family 10 complete year. The only reason I don't have it now is because I wanted to upgrade, since I have never had a brand new set. What a disappointment. Everything that looks good from Maytag isn't good. I don't understand why they won't stand behind their product.

Something's got to be done about this. Maytag will not take my money 1,200 and force me to keep this malfunctioning piece of nothing. I'm going to Youtube this product so the consumer can see how this product doesn't work properly, therefore they won't waste their hard earned money. I will be contacting the BBB Nashville, and wherever I need to. I will let the consumer know the make and model of this product and where it was purchased from. Maytag I want every penny back. And, should hold you responsible for ever time I have had to go to the wash house because my brand new set won't work, and your company wants to service it every time I try to wash. I purchased this appliance on the strength of the well known name, that was the wrong thing to do.

I purchased a Maytag Front-Loading Washing machine. It was purchased on 11/30/15. Approximately this January, 2017 the spin cycle stopped getting all the water out of the laundry. Towels came out wet, shirts came out wet and I tried washing a small bathroom rug that came out of the washer dripping with water. My husband called Maytag to tell them about this issue. They told him I didn't know how to load the washer machine. Wow, I have only been using washing machines for 45 years and now I don't know how to load a machine. Then they said they will send him a video to watch on how to load a washing machine. I watched it. I wasn't doing anything incorrectly. (Maybe someone should send them a video on how to build a proper washing machine.)

I previously had a Maytag Neptune machine that lasted twenty years until there was a class action suit against the machine. The clothes came out fine from that machine. I just purchased an Electrolux front loader that works beautifully. Now I have a Maytag machine that is nothing but a piece of junk in my opinion. It cost $824.21. I will never buy a Maytag machine EVER. MHW7100DW.

I'm currently standing in front of my washing machine waiting for the 13-minute drain and spin cycle to finish because once again my load didn't drain and finish right. Except it has already been 40 minutes and it claims there is still 9 more left as it continues to sit there doing nothing while it hasn't even started spinning yet. It Sat on 13 minutes while "sensing" for over 5 minutes, then 12 for 10 minutes while doing nothing, then it changed to 11 minutes and made some weird noises but didn't actually do anything for 15 minutes, and now the timer randomly changed from 11 to 9 without any noises or movement happening and now continues to sit here.

I stupidly thought I could spin my clothes real quick to throw them in the dryer before bed and now I stand here extremely tired and very irritated. I also have no doubt some of the clothes will have holes in them when they're done because they always do, my family looks like we're homeless and ratty half the time we get dressed now. Also it never deep cleans thoroughly even on the toughest settings, I swear our socks can be washed 3 times in a row after being soaked all day and still come out crusty or a lot of times the armpits of shirts will still smell or be ultra stained with deodorant marks still.

This technology is almost too advanced and everything is decided by sensor, regardless of the registered functions on the buttons it will still do what it wants as the sensors see fit and run when they decide everything is perfect and ready, including taking 10 minutes just to unlock the lid when you pause a load cuase a small child may drown in the foot of water or a person may have their life completely altered by getting a little bit wet if the machine isn't completely drained and in pristine condition before you open the door. This machine is terrible. This company is terrible. And worst of all they drain your wallet for these horrible contraptions. I wish I could rate this 0 stars.

Maytag HE Top Load Washer - We bought our whole house lot of Maytag appliances 6 months prior to when we would need them, in Nov of 2015. There was a great Canadian Black Friday sale event special, so we purchased the whole lot at Home Depot thinking we had got a great deal, however back then there were very little reviews on the washers, as they were fairly new. This is the absolute worst washer, I have to pause the washer after the water level that the sensor allows finishes and add at least a bucket more of water to cover the clothes and clean them properly and rinse them twice to make sure the residue from the soap gets washed off (I use HE pods, so not using too much soap).

Certainly not what you would expect when you buy a high-end appliance. I'm going to replace it, but I cannot even try to recoup any money back, as I couldn't/ wouldn't be able to sell it to anyone knowing that it is just garbage!! You would think that a high-end appliance company like Maytag would admit that this appliance is a mistake and offer the consumers that purchased this junk a credit towards a washer that will do what is expected!! Think about it Maytag... you have lost a lot of future business by ignoring the fact that this machine is not what you advertise as a company that stands behind their name. I am sure to tell everyone that I know about the disappointment in this product. I have a friend that has a LG HE washer and it works great... so no excuses about water consumption regulations... it's just not designed properly!!

Consumer Changed Rating

A Maytag repairman came out and replaced the gasket at Maytag's expense and found two broken baffles which he could not repair. The machine was not tested following the repair and when I tried to use it two days later, the on/off switch would not work. I am still waiting for Maytag's response 4 days later.

Robert of Richmond, VA on

Original Review

I purchased a Maytag Front End Loader from Home Depot five years ago with a two year extended warranty. After about a year I noticed water on the vinyl floor around the washer and dryer. The gasket developed a tear in the gasket center where the door shuts. Four years later I closed the door and the end of a knit shirt was caught where the inside of the door meets the gasket. The other four knit shirts wrapped around the one that was caught in the door and the weight and force of the shirts pulled the gasket out of its socket during the wash cycle causing the floor to fill with water again. This time it was out warranty so I ordered the new gasket and called a serviceman. The service company suggest I call Maytag who indicated they had no problems with this issue. It appears that Maytag is about to send someone out to make the repair.

I have had KitchenAid and Whirlpool my whole life - lots of them - NEVER EVER have I had so much trouble with a washer. This front loader is the worst possible machine. My former Whirlpool was a front loader too - Never a problem. I purchased this Maytag set simply to have a matched set because our Whirlpool dryer died. This washer has to be babysat. The washer holds water and it gets musty - never ever before have I had this problem. Maytag says it is designed this way and I have to continue to buy AFFRESH (which is also very expensive). I have to use this two to three times a week and the pkg says once every 6 months - DON'T DON'T BUY MAYTAG. LOUSY.

I'm not sure that the guys who designed this unit ever actually tested it. During the wash cycle, if you have something like a fitted sheet it will actually stuff all of the surrounding wash items into the sheet until it forms one huge, round ball. Then it gets really interesting because the vicious spin cycle sends the machine marching around the laundry room and this happens even if the wash has not balled up. I now try to evenly distribute the wash within the tub prior to starting the wash cycle but it doesn't work. So now I grab a cup of coffee and newspaper and sit with my washer throughout the entire spin cycle to make sure that the hoses don't tear out of the wall.

This Maytag Centennial is the WORST piece of junk I ever purchased and I received the same uninterested response from Maytag as everyone else. Maytag sent a service man out who said it was functioning as it was intended. Once started, this washing machine can't stop if you forget to add an item. It dumps out all the water and starts the hour-long cycle over. All settings are an hour-long cycle. Unless "Bulky" or "Delicate" is selected you only get 2 inches of water -- Even for "Heavy Duty." No matter what the setting, the clothes do not come out clean. You must hand wash them first. Maytags are no longer a desired product.

Bought Maytag dryer in December 2016. Worked fine for first 3 months. Then blue coloring showed up on back of drum and came off on white clothing. Had tech come out. He took pics and send to Maytag. They said it was "normal". Further talks with customer service brought statements that we caused problem by drying blue jeans. Funny we never had. They just continued to say this discoloration was normal and we did something to cause problem and nothing they could do. But at least they were sorry for our problem. Whirlpool does not stand behind products. Don't buy.

Purchased Maytag Bravos Washer in 2013. Used a little over a year and had to put it in storage for 2 years. Biggest piece of junk I've ever had. I've had cheap washers that lasted more than 20 years! Repairman said all diagnostics read normal. I put a very small load in to show him the water was not even wetting the clothes and only swishing them around a little. The shirt on top never got wet and was still in its same position when it went into the final spin. He said this is normal. He recommended I dump the machine and find an old NON Maytag model with the tall agitator!!! I've tried using all the settings combinations; and the water level never gets all the clothes wet and clothes do not get clean. Will NEVER buy a Maytag product again.

I have had and worked on many washing machines over the years. The worst design and complete failure of parts to easily align in Maytag front end washers is nothing short of staggering. Creating a tension wire to wrap a rubber seal that requires Hercules to install and easily tears the rubber is beyond ridiculous. Avoid front end Maytag washing machines like the plague since they may cause it given the mold and growth from excessive moisture when the seals tear.

Maytag Bravos XL - I am having the same problem as everyone else with this washer. My clothes do not get clean and they smell. Maytag advertises tumbling, rubbing action to get clothes clean but my washer does neither. The clothes lay in the bottom of the tub and never move except when in the spin cycle. I am going to file a complaint with Maytag and if they do not refund my money am going to file a DTPA claim against them for false, misleading and deceptive advertisement. They will have to pay up to three (3) times the purchase price of the washer. Maybe everyone else should consider the same.

So I read the reviews when I bought this Maytag Bravo Washer and figured stuff happens. We bought the top load Maytag Brava in 2013. We bought the Home Depot warranty, 2 years later the washer was leaking water. 5 repair visits and 3 attempts to fix the leak before it was repaired. As of 4-25-17 the wash machine displayed un-level errors and started vibrating with a thundering noise. Called out warranty repair and they stated we need new bearings. Repair is scheduled in 2 days and now the wash machine is thundering and spewing oil so it is shut off. 4 years old, and like the other complaints clothes come out with dry patches and not clean. This is a bad machine, we are saving for our next washer. It will have an old style spindle/agitator, no California efficiency and probably not Maytag.

I purchased this machine (Maytag Bravos XL MVWX700XL2 ) about 18 months ago. I was so excited with the looks and the reviews I found on the machine at that time. For the first 14 months I was happy. All of a sudden, it has become the washer from Hades! It twists and almost ruins my clothing. Not to mention, I think it is permanent wrinkles that it puts into things. I washed our comforter on "Bulky". The part that must have been at the bottom is completely wrinkled and it also wrecked all of the fill. This was a comforter that it is supposed to be fine to put in the washer. I am attaching pictures in which you can almost plainly see where the comforter was at the bottom.

I had a serviceman out a few weeks ago. He said Maytag knows that there is a problem, however, there is no service bulletin that is out yet on it. In addition, he ran all of the codes and told me there is nothing wrong with my machine. That must be why I have to iron almost every piece of clothing in this house. Maytag will hopefully give me decent customer service on this, or I will come unglued. For the price of this washing machine, I expected much more.

I purchased the Maytag Model MVWC565FWO from Lowe's on Apr. 5. It was installed Apr. 8. Worked good for 10 days then it would not finish cycle from wash till you manually put it on spin and drain. Brought out another one with same model today 4-23-17. I will try this one. If it fails I will take it back and get my money back and do something else.

My husband purchased the Bravos XL washing machine less than a year ago at Benson's Maytag in Peoria, Illinois. Within months of purchase we noticed our clothing coming out with stains they didn't have prior to washing. After hundreds of $$'s of clothing ruined we realized it was due to the fabric softener dispenser. We cleaned the machine multiple times & ceased using fabric softener. No luck.

Today I finally had enough & called Benson's service department. The fellow I spoke with told me, "You are not supposed to use fabric softener with the Bravos XL." I asked why a $1000 washing machine would have a dispenser you were supposed to use. He told me it was because "people like to use it" BUT you weren't supposed to use it. I asked, "Why would there be a dispenser if you weren't supposed to use it." He told me the salesperson should have explained it during the transaction or I should have read the owner's manual more thoroughly. I asked how I needed to go about correcting the problem & he told me to clean out the machine with really, really hot water. I explained we had multiple times.

He didn't have any other suggestions so I asked about setting up a service call & requested he access my information so we could verify the warranty. He confirmed the unit was under warranty. I asked to schedule service & was told there would be a $50 service call fee. I told him, "I would figure that would be under warranty" to which he explained it would only be under warranty if it was the machine ruining my clothes. I asked, "What other reason would there be for my ruined clothes" and he told me if the laundry was being ruined because I used fabric softener it would not be under warranty. So I repeated that saying "So you are telling me if the machine is ruining my clothing because I used fabric softener it will not be under warranty?" and he got flustered and basically said he didn't exactly say that and they couldn't confirm anything until a tech took a look at the machine. I told him I would have to speak to my husband.

So this is my question... why on Earth do we have a company building $1000 washing machines WITH A FABRIC SOFTENER DISPENSER if you are not supposed to use it? I have never, ever, EVER had a washing machine do such a lousy job. I have never, ever, EVER been afraid to put clothing in a washing machine... not even in a cheap, crappy laundromat. Shame on you, Maytag!

We had a Maytag washer and dryer for over 32 years, the same washer and dryer. Finally our washer failed. We thought it would be a good idea to stick with Maytag. My husband purchased the Bravos XL Maytag washing machine. It is the worst washing machine ever and I regret the purchase. The washing machine doesn't clean clothes. If you use a powdered soap of any kind it leaves residue all over your clothes due to the fact it doesn't use enough water.

It binds everything up. It becomes unbalanced with any larger load. Completely ties your sheets and your pants into knots. Yes literally I pull my clothes out and they are in a knot. The washer started to leak about two months ago after having it for a year-and-a-half. We couldn't locate the leak so we had to call a repairman and it cost us over $240 in parts and labor.

My Maytag top loading washer, 4 years old, stopped working in the middle of a wash cycle. Registered Maytag repairman did a diagnosis and finally identified the problem with the control board. The cost of the control board would have cost almost as much as the original wash machine especially since I had to pay for the current service call and labor (to diagnose the problem). After having read a number of other reviews from dissatisfied customers, I will not buy another Maytag product. I was under the impression that Maytag produced a superior appliance but was disappointed by this experience.

Worst product I ever purchase. I have four kids which are boys. This washer does not clean very good. I usually soak the clothes first before I put it in the washer. Never purchasing their product again. Now I am stuck with this washer because I cannot afford to purchase another one. Hate it.

My husband and I just purchased on 4/8/17 a BRAND NEW MAYTAG 4.3 CUBIC FEET CAPACITY FRONT LOADING WASHER WITH STEAM AFTER OUR PREVIOUS 15 year old washer that we both used just finally started having issues. So we decided to go new and with front loader with good brand. How sadly I was wrong! We brought our washer home, hooked it up and turned it on with 1/2 load of tiny laundry. It didn't even make it through one load! This POS started throwing error codes E1, E2, F8, F9, Suds and wouldn't drain any water.

We reviewed the manual again, checked the filter hoses and detergent. All was fine but washer wouldn't work! I called Maytag 2 days later on Monday and after repairman came to look at it Thursday said it needs new drain pump and today now power won't turn on and nothing will work on front of machine, mind you this machine is brand new! I am so disgusted and angry that any company would sell this quality to anybody and at the prices they charge! NEVER AGAIN WILL I PURCHASE ANOTHER MAYTAG!

Was assured the washer could do comforters, etc. Well, I took a video of the washer doing 5 t-shirt, 1 pair of pants, and 3 pairs of socks on the power wash cycle. Nothing tumbled. All the plate did was swish some water around on the bottom. Clothes weren't clean at all. Check my Youtube video, and you can watch the leg of the pair of pants sticking up out of the water and never getting back down in to get wet. Horrible horrible machine. With that said, called the company I bought it from, and they arranged for a front loader since I'd only had the machine for a couple hours. Stuck me for a second delivery fee though, which I wasn't happy about. We'll see when the new one gets here Tuesday.

Maytag top loader washing machine - Worst appliance purchase ever made. Does not clean laundry, takes all day to do 5 or 6 loads. Not enough water to properly wash or rinse load, even using the "deep water" setting (a joke). A load of 2 king size sheets and 4 pillow cases wadded up in a ball and rattled around so hard in the spin cycle, it pulled the plug out of the wall.

Maytag sent out technician who conducted diagnostic testing, which did not include any actual laundry. Technician said machine was operating as intended and verified I was using the machine properly. I have tried to return this machine since the first load was done and realized it was a disaster. Maytag refused to help. In fact, their phone agent had the audacity to suggest I wash one sheet at a time to prevent the machine from moving across the floor so far the plug came out of the wall. Maytag surely is not what it used to be. I'm sorry I did not know they, like so many other companies, don't care about their reputation or customer service, not to mention producing a quality product. I would say they are actually misleading their customers by calling this product a washing machine.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Maytag has been inside American homes for over 100 years and continues to provide innovative technology and great customer service.  The company is especially famous for its Maytag Man, a symbol of the company's dependability and dedication to service. Maytag continues to build success, with nearly five billion dollars in revenue generated in 2014. Their washers and dryers are available as top loading or front loading and can be configured to fit your laundry room’s space. Maytag’s innovative technology ensures your clothes get just the right amount of clean and just the right amount of dry, all while saving you time and money.

• Energy Star qualified: All of Maytag’s washers and dryers are Energy Star qualified, meaning they are energy efficient and will save you money compared with a machine that is not Energy Star qualified.
  • Size capacity: All of the front loading and top loading models range from medium to extra large capacities, so you can buy one that works best for you based on the size of your average laundry load.
  • Quiet: Maytag washers and dryers are quiet, so you can put them anywhere in your house, including closets and near bedrooms, without worrying about noise.
  • Advanced Moisture Sensing: Maytag’s Advanced Moisture Sensing makes sure every article of clothing gets dry, from socks to towels. The sensor strips located inside the dryer measure moisture levels around the fabric of the clothes in the dryer. At the same time, inlet sensors determine air temperatures to stop the load at the appropriate time.
  • Best for Value hunters, families, individuals and customers who want a dependable brand.

Compare Washers and Dryers