1.34/5
  • 1 star
Based on 1,524 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a washer and dryer?

Maytag Washers & Dryers

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Jan. 16, 2018

2654 Maytag Washers & Dryers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

Purchased a Maytag Bravos XL less than 3 years ago Model MVWB725BW0. We have had several repair calls. From reading complaints from others, I have the same: clothes balloon, clothes rip, dark clothes have a scum on them, even a blanket goes off balance and it is hard to start the cycle. It goes off balance all the time, makes a squeaky sound when "agitating" and the housekeeper can never figure out what cycle to run the clothes on because they always go off balance, there is a loud vibration, etc. The last repair call was for an actual leak on the floor!

The appliance company charged us $95 for the service call, did nothing, and told us the parts would be more expensive than a new washing machine. Went to Home Depot today and purchased an LG washer and dryer for over $1500. I am not even going to try to recoup anything from Maytag because this is the second Maytag that I have had a bad experience with and didn't learn a lesson in the first place. Junk. :(

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

We purchased this washer (MHW05500FWD) and dryer set in 09/26/2016 and have had nothing but issues. I have had the repairmen out twice. The first time the washer wasn't rinsing out clothes, when the repairman came out he couldn't find anything. In June of 2017 the same thing happen. Once again the repairman came out. I found out that there was a recall on the part which was on Backordered. Now the matching dryer model MED5500FWD is not drying. This is the worst washer and dryer I have ever own. I will NEVER own another front loader again. Buyer Beware!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Only 2 months after purchasing the Neptune Washer I required a service call as the washer was not draining. Technician replaced the pump and cleaned the drain filter. 4 months later the same issue happened. 3 months later the computer board was replaced and filter cleaned. Since purchasing this washer I have had to have 5 service calls to have it fixed. I called Maytag and they told me it is my fault the filter is clogged. Although the things in the filter are from my family's laundry the filter is located in the middle of the machine which requires the machine to be torn apart to clean the filter. This is a TERRIBLE design flaw which is NOT covered under the maintenance agreement as the service technician said this problem was caused by us. Maytag was the absolute worse to deal with as I have spoken to two levels of customer support managers and all of them said it's my fault.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

This is not my first Maytag. Bought this one in August 2017 from Home Depot. Now all it does is make a grinding sound. No lights. Not anything but noise. I bought one without all the digital because I thought that could be more problems. The only part that is digital is the start/pause button. I liked the idea of less water and no center. It balloons the clothes when it is finished spinning. Didn't start out that way. I use the right detergent and wash it every 30 days as it suggests. Can't afford to call a repairman on such a new washer.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

First we bought the washer and not even a month after it was ruined. In the span of the year that we've had it, it has broken down about three times. Then we bought the matching dryer in August and by the beginning of December it has broken down. Called customer service and they are not coming until January 18. Have me waiting over a month to fix it. Worst brand ever and even worse customer service. Never again will I buy anything from this brand.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maytag Washers & Dryers?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Dryer doesn’t wash all the clothes and the dryer doesn’t dry anything correctly. All, regardless of materials or size of load, comes out damp. Repairman’s excuse was that it’s a learning curve(?) and our dryer vent was the cause (which it wasn’t as we had it checked out and there was nothing in it) and that was it. Very disappointed in the washer and dryer and now the company where we bought them as it seems that we’re stuck with over $2K worth of equipment that doesn’t wash or dry well. We’re awaiting to speak with manager for a replacement of anything not Maytag. Not holding our breath and definitely not a happy customer.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

DO NOT BUY A MAYTAG BRAVOS MCT WASHING MACHINE!!! I have had the machine for two and half weeks, it HAS NOT WORKED EVEN ONCE!!! Service was scheduled - again for a BRAND NEW machine - through Maytag/Whirlpool - and the service ordered never happened. We waited an entire day, 8 am - 4 pm, only to discover the "service desk" of Maytag doesn't work either. My service is now booked for another week away and I am working on returning this AWFUL Maytag washing machine which never worked even one time!!! Warning: Do not buy Maytag/Whirlpool appliances!!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Maytag washer MVWC565FW - Clothes do not wash. They just get pushed around and the soap scum is left on the clothes even with the water at the highest level. I bought the washer override lid switch at a appliance parts store just to observe the washer cycles. The washer did not wash the clothes. I took the washer back. I like Maytag products but this washer has to be engineered.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Purchased a Maytag Bravos washing machine. DO NOT BUY THIS MACHINE. Disaster as the cycling is hit and miss. The clothes can take 4 hours or more to wash a load. And even then the clothes may still be soaking wet. Grandma's old wringer washer was better. DO NOT BUY MAYTAG. DO NOT BUY MAYTAG BRAVOS.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

My husband and I purchase both Maytag Washer and Dryer 7 month ago 2017, because we have purchase Maytag washer before and were very happy with it. But this new Washer does not clean clothes at all, it is worthless. We will not purchase another Maytag Washer again.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

We bought new appliances when we moved to our new house last June (2016). Sears recommended the Maytag 600S pair (HE washer and dryer). We have contacted Sears numerous time to have service people out because many times (75%) the washer does not fill with enough water to wet all the clothes and there is a layer of dry clothes at the top when the wash cycle ends.

I do not believe that dry clothes get clean because they are near wet clothes in the washer. But Sears insists this is by design. Some service people tell us that the top loading HE washer will be gone soon because of the complaints but we have to struggle on. Sears seems to hope we just get tired and stop calling as their Customer Service policy. I have to dump 1-2 buckets of water into almost every wash that we do. As a side note, the 600S series has a slanted top rather than the traditional flat top. It looks cute but things fall/roll off of it. It would be nice to put things on top of the washer or dryer while doing the laundry but they roll/slide/fall off. The design is not so "cute" anymore. Actually, really a stupid idea.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I was always told the Maytag was the best, to my surprise not so. We purchased a washer at Home Depot and it’s been a bad experience. Loud noise compilation in operation. Turns on then off so many times /not sure if that’s what’s its suppose to. Can’t get an answer. Disappointed for the least. Not what I expected out from this purchase.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Bought a Maytag top loader washer from Lowe's in July 2017. Have had nothing but problems due to faulty computerized guts. Worked intermittently and took a long time to wash compared to older machine. Repairman out twice... replaced computer board and still have problems. The machine was made in Canada according to the label. Hey Canada, what is going on making junk? Too bad that we did not know beforehand what junk the Maytag brand has become. Lowe's should not sell this junk to help its reputation and valued customers.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

My Bravos XL is worthless!!! This lack of agitator design is totally ineffective. Dark clothes come out with white powder on them and I use the liquid detergent. Whites I soak with detergent and bleach then full wash cycle. Still stains on dish towels and socks. Never had a problem with the old agitator Maytag. And yes the wrinkle free cycle creates wrinkles. Deep water wash is only cycle that even comes close to cleaning and it's far from perfect. Horrible waste of money, buyers beware!!! I thought all those negative reviews were overblown and since I couldn't find a large enough machine with an agitator, I ignored warnings and bought this garbage. Matching dryer is fine.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

We have been married 50 yrs. We have never had a Maytag, we bought one 4 days ago, Dec.13, 2017. This is the worst wash machine (Maytag Bravos XL MCT) we have ever had, the clothes come out wet with white soap marks on the dark clothes. Lowe's said we can exchange it for another washer, it will not be a Maytag.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I purchased this machine (MVWB765FW0) because I had a good experiences with Maytag in the past. There is a manufacture defect in this particular machine. If I were you, I would not buy it. I’ve lost two sets of bedsheets and my wife had a dress that she loved that got ripped up at the bottom between the agitator and the base of the machine. Maytag knows about the problem and does not have a solution.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I Hate this machine. It does an inferior job and I wish I never bought it. Our Bravos XL washer was purchased in spring. It left white residue constantly on my clothes. Even WORSE, the machine wrinkled the permanent press so the clothes had to be ironed before wearing. (I rarely had this with my last washer). I used the machine settings correctly and I called the company and basically...was told, "You're out of luck." I hoped that it would improve but No Way! Don't purchase this machine, dont waste your $$$.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

We bought top load washer model # MVWC425BW1 at Lowe's brand new 9/22/14 for $493.93. On 11/23/2017 it stopped working and would not even come on after lid locked. Found out it needed new parts that would cost us over $300 to fix and we could buy another new washer for $400. We are very disappointed that this washer with only two people only worked three years when we thought we had bought a reliable product that would last. Sent several messages in November but no response till today 12/13/17 after filing. BBB complaint filed and they decline to do anything. So this company just wants to sell products but has no customer service. They only give a year warranty. Of course if the product is not going to last they want you to buy more.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I am 65 years old and for all of my life there has always been a Maytag washer and Dryer in our home. My great grandmother and great grandfather had a gasoline powered Maytag. My maternal grandmother had wringer-Maytag and my parents have always purchased Maytags. When I was on my own I purchased Maytags. In November of 2012 I purchased a Maytag Bravos XL washer and dryer. I had no reservations because it was "Maytag". In October of this year (2017), the washer starting roaring and I had purchased an extended warranty. I called a reported this. A local appliance repair provider was sent out after I called the 800 number on the warranty agreement. I waited several days and finally called the repair provider and was told the parts needed were backordered. Time rocked on several weeks with no communication until I began calling both repair provider and warranty company. Still no washer repair.

Ultimately, the resolution was not to repair or replace the washer, but to refund the purchase price and sales tax. The Home Depot salesman that sold us the washer and dryer, as well as the extended warranty coverage assured us that should either the washer or dryer fail it would be repaired or replaced, neither occurred. This left me without a washer for more than a month. Then finally I called the warranty company used by Home Depot and I was told a refund check would be sent for the washer, along with laundry reimbursement check. My difficulty with this is even though I got my money back on the washer and some of my expense on having the laundry and dry cleaning done elsewhere, it does address the issue. Simply, I see the "Maytag" commercials all the time and they are simply noise on TV now.

I am still wondering how this could happen to a washing machine that had less than two and half years of use, never abused, cared for could fail in five years. I was used to having "Maytags" last decades with little or no repairs. Given the fact this machine was top of the line and well taken care of, I so very disappointed and not buy another "Maytag" of any kind again. By the way, I have a home in the country with a 27 year Maytag washer and 20 year old Maytag dryer that come from my home in town that Bravos XL dryer replaced.

My research during all of this has led me to conclude this is not an isolated incident, but far larger problem with these washing machines. Why has there not been a recall on these inherently defective washers been issued. Where is the justice in this, even though the refund and small laundry reimbursement has been received it does not make any happier. I have lost my confidence in Maytag and I thought that could not happen with Maytag.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

We purchased our Maytag Bravo XL in 2012. Over the past year and a half we noticed the inside of the top lid is rusting as well as the bleach dispenser area. I called Maytag about the lid and they said there was nothing they can do and that we could buy a new lid replacement. Really??? My parents had only Maytag in their home for over 50 years with little to no repairs needed ever! We were a family of five back then. Because my parents always bought Maytag products so did we. This is the first time in 40 years that I have ever seen this happen! I was hoping for a recall for these issues but don't find any online. The washer and dryer were not cheap and purchased from a reputable retailer.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

High dollar front load washer, less than 2 years old, just a waste of time & energy to run it, clothes come cleaner, if you leave them out in the rain! DON'T buy Maytag, I never will again!! The customer service SUCKS even more than the product, 3 hours of my life spent today e-mailing, calling, live help, NO response? They must have shut down customer support due to the overload of calls from UNHAPPY customers!! NEVER again!!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I bought a Maytag washer 1 year and 1 month ago (MVWB835DW1), Hated this washer since day one. It does not wash clothes very well, does not even cover them fully with water. The mini agitator at the bottom does not move he close it just spins on the bottom of them. Now it started making a very high pitch squeal when it spins and of course it is one month past the manufacture warranty so I call a repairman and the first thing he says to me is "I'm sorry for your purchase, it was a bad one" and it will cost me 600$ to repair because the bearing is bad. And my bad for not getting an extended warranty but I have never had a washing machine work this bad and break within the first 13 month of owning it??? Lesson learned I guess!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Maytag top load washer. I don't understand why Maytag would make such a piece of crap. It takes so long to wash, that I can only wash a couple of loads a day. It doesn't fill. It doesn't get the clothes clean. My electric bill is higher. It's so noisy too. Never thought Maytag would make such garbage.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

We received our new Maytag washer MHW8200FC on Saturday 11/18/17. We washed 2 loads on Saturday and on Sunday it didn't start. Not only did it not start but it was locked with clothes in it. We finally got it to open but it wouldn't start to wash. We had the distributor, Warners' Stellian, schedule a service tech. He came out on 11/21/17 and determined the "board" was bad and that he would order one and be back on 11/29/17. A week without a washer doesn't work for a family of 5. This isn't like a lawn mower I use once a week, we use it daily. Whatever happened to quality control? A brand new expensive product breaks in 2 days? Maytag says it's "Made in the USA", which I'm all for... Only if it works. USA or China, broken is broken so I don't care where it's made. Whether it's planned obsolescence or just a plain faulty product, Maytag is now another brand that I will avoid buying in the future.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

This is the noisiest washing machine ever manufactured - cannot do laundry at night or no one sleeps, during the evening it overpowers the television. Dark washes are a nightmare as there is a white smear (soap scum?) on everything (guess you don’t see it on whites) - extra rinse does not help. What happened to this “reliable company”???

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

Maytag HE Top Loader Washing Machine: I have regretted buying this piece of garbage since my first wash. This washing machine is complete waste of money and a piece of garbage. The Auto Sensing doesn't work and doesn't cover the clothes with enough water. When the deep water wash is chosen the clothes just float around but the agitator doesn't get them clean. Don't waste your money hoping it will work, because it won't. Maytag used to signify quality that is no longer the case. I am going to also give a bad review to the place I purchased this piece of garbage because all stores need to discontinue selling this junk.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

This washer (Model# MVWB765FW1) will not wash your clothes. It's not designed to give enough water for washing. That means some clothes will still be dry after agitator cycle; seriously. Thank you Maytag for going green! The repairman will tell you the machine is working according to design. That is true but the machine is a fraud as a clothes washing machine. The weight of the clothes in the tub tells the computer how much water to apply; good luck with that. We learned that if we add a bucket and a half of water, the clothes will come clean. Do you want to do that? Maytag used to be a good name.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Maytag and Home Depot do not back their products or assist customers. While repair my father's home in Grand Junction Colorado, Home Depot workman grabbed the 30 year old washer and dryer by the controls and promptly destroyed the machines. No - Home Depot didn't do anything despite complaints. I bought a brand new Maytag Washer and Dryer for the Grand Junction, Colorado home. The famous Maytags that are called "dependable" only lasted 3 months. When I went to complain at the Grand Junction Home Depot - the manager - Cheryl - called me a "lair" when I said I left phone messages for her.

Cheryl seems to represent the best of Home Depot when she doesn't assist customers - is nasty and calls them "liars" when they say they left phone messages for her. No - Home Depot would not back their selling Maytag, and worse, they won't assist you in finding how to contact Maytag. Cheryl's response was - "Contact Maytag. Good bye." I was not given a contact or phone number - nothing. I spent over $32,000 at Home Depot fixing up my father's home and rentals and this is how Home Depot treats customers. Worse I have a worthless Maytag that ceased working after just 3 months. Yes - you may contact me, yes - you may use my name and yes - I will blog on the internet the nastiness of Home Depot in Grand Junction, and the poor quality and poor customer service with Maytag.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I purchased a Neptune set in the late 90's when they first came on the market. I remember my delight - after the first use my clothes looked like new. Most impressive was I never needed to iron anything. Incredible. After 20 years of maintenance free operation, I finally decided they were getting too loud and was afraid they'd break down and spill water. Of course, I bought the latest version of Neptune again. What a disappointment. These machines are terrible. My clothes come out a wadded up, wrinkled mess. I have tried every "recommendation" in the book - the wrinkle free, the steam fresh, you name it. I have never ironed more "iron free" clothes before. It's added hours a week to my chores and we all look a frumpled mess. I really regret my choice. Strange that I can't wait for these new machines to break down so I can justify a do-over.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

It was alright for a while. Then it started ripping up my clothes. The machine is not overloaded, enough water has been added but, when I take the clothes out they are torn. Not a good experience. I have seen several reviews on the Centennials, none of them good. What is the problem. I am hoping my experience gets resolved.

Maytag Washers & Dryers expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Maytag has been inside American homes for over 100 years and continues to provide innovative technology and great customer service.  The company is especially famous for its Maytag Man, a symbol of the company's dependability and dedication to service. Maytag continues to build success, with nearly five billion dollars in revenue generated in 2014. Their washers and dryers are available as top loading or front loading and can be configured to fit your laundry room’s space. Maytag’s innovative technology ensures your clothes get just the right amount of clean and just the right amount of dry, all while saving you time and money.

• Energy Star qualified: All of Maytag’s washers and dryers are Energy Star qualified, meaning they are energy efficient and will save you money compared with a machine that is not Energy Star qualified.

• Size capacity: All of the front loading and top loading models range from medium to extra large capacities, so you can buy one that works best for you based on the size of your average laundry load.

• Quiet: Maytag washers and dryers are quiet, so you can put them anywhere in your house, including closets and near bedrooms, without worrying about noise.

• Advanced Moisture Sensing: Maytag’s Advanced Moisture Sensing makes sure every article of clothing gets dry, from socks to towels. The sensor strips located inside the dryer measure moisture levels around the fabric of the clothes in the dryer. At the same time, inlet sensors determine air temperatures to stop the load at the appropriate time.

• Best for: Value hunters, families, individuals and customers who want a dependable brand.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

www.maytag.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use