1.33/5
Based on 1,605 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a washer and dryer?

2733 Maytag Washers & Dryers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 17, 2018

WOW, I can't believe a group of "educated professionals" made, tested, and approved such a washing machine. What a piece of crap. I could put my clothes in a bathtub and let the kids jump up and down on them and they would come out cleaner. I would love to have a heart to heart talk with the engineers who designed this, to ask, "What were you thinking." What a waste of money, and a once good company, that will soon be going out of business.

Original review: June 7, 2018

My 1st machine cost $545.00 and lasted only 2.9 years. Maytag tech was horrible. Did not diagnose just stated $350 to fix, and I should buy a new one instead. He then charged $95 for his trip. Maytag stated a customer loyalty program to buy another then charged more than Home Depot for the same model. Too bad Maytag is losing its good reputation. My machine should be under warranty but they all get around that. Tech said the parts are under warranty but his labor is too high.

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Maytag Centennial washer - Bought this washer brand new and after the first 2 months started having issues. The washer took FOREVER to fill and to complete a basic load took literally an hour or more. Then within the next 7 months it stopped spinning out the final spin cycle. Spin light would flash as would lid lock but wouldn’t spin the water so I had to manually unplug the machine then plug in out cycle on drain and spin and that worked 50 percent of the time. Repairman came out and said could be a number of issues but he said honestly it would cost me a lot less to just go buy a new washer! This is INSANE! I grew up with the Maytag repairman commercials and thought Maytag was still top of the line but LEMME TELL YA, IT AIN'T! The Centennial is a total piece of crap so PLEASE don’t purchase this machine as I can promise you will NOT be satisfied! MAYTAG, STEP UP YOUR GAME BECAUSE YOU SUCK.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I have never given anything a negative review before, but this, by far, the absolute worst appliance I’ve ever had in my entire life. I bought it because I had an old leaky washer, but I’d take it back in a heartbeat because it could ACTUALLY wash my clothes. We spent a lot of money on this washer because we wanted something really nice that would actually work, but this washer is no better than me throwing my clothes in the sink and turning the water on. I’ve tried every kind of detergent and pretreatment that I could possibly try, and nothing helped because the actual machine don’t do nothing. Shirts come out still coated in mud, and half the load is dry??? Please, save your money, get your washer somewhere else. And I hate to even give this thing 1 star because it ain’t even worth that.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Is there any place to give a zero to this Maytag Front Load Washing Machine Model MHW5500FW1 and if there is a class action lawsuit please include us! We have owned other Maytag Washing Machines and never experienced such an epic failure as we have with this washing machine! We were so excited when we purchased our new Maytag washer/dryer set in March of 2018 we even remodeled our pantry/laundry room to accommodate them! As the chief operator of the washing machine, I have literally cried at what a mistake we've made! We have no complaint of the Maytag dryer.

Let me describe my "new" normal procedure for laundering a load of clothes. First, load the washer with clothes then press "power/cancel" then press "rapid wash" let the clothes get HOPEFULLY saturated with water then hit "hold to start" and then hit "power/cancel" this shuts off the washing machine. I then press "power/cancel" again and select "normal" and the water empties out of the washing machine from the prior load and then starts to refill, if the "add a garment" light comes on (when it wants too) and no I don't change any pre-set settings I am able to add extra water with a pitcher, if this procedure works I let the washer run its 1-hour and 48-minute cycle.

If not, I have to start over again because the "add garment" light wouldn't come on to allow the door to unlock. After the clothes are finished I again press "power/cancel" then hit "rapid wash" put my fabric softener in the dispenser press "hold to start" and let it run its 36-minute cycle making sure my clothes are rinsed appropriately and not stiff because of the lack of water.

I neglected to say that when I've tried tricking the washer and think I am able to add extra water, if I've added too much "the sensing" kicks in and the washing machine drains all the water out on its own and refills with the little water it allows! Which is maddening! I throw up my hands and sit down and cry!!! I have contacted Maytag/Whirlpool complaining about the lack of water and their "wacky water sensor"! I asked them how can you conserve water and electricity when you have to wash your clothes over and over with long wash cycles? This doesn't make sense! My white clothes are now dingy and stiff as well as the colored. Maytag says you can use powdered detergents if it's HE High Efficiency powdered detergents, but that's not true. The detergent doesn't dissolve and ends up on the clothes at the end of the long wash cycle because of the lack of water!

From the beginning I adjusted the amount of powdered detergent for the front load washer and have to dissolve it in hot water prior to washing and hopefully am able to add it to the clothes if the "add a garment" will let me! I have now resorted to extra cycles to rinse out any remaining detergent hoping my clothes will be soft and fresh smelling. I had planned to replace my old Maytag agitator washing machine with this piece of junk front loader, fortunately we kept our old washing machine as a back up!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maytag Washers & Dryers?

Original review: May 30, 2018

Big mistake. Worst purchase ever!! These high-efficiency washers (Maytag Washer Bravos XL) are the worst especially this one! I wash and wipe down the washer drum more than I was my clothes. I purchased it because it had a huge drum so I can wash my blankets and comforters. This washer leaves soap scum marks/residue on clothes and leaves it on the drum as well. I basically have to wash my clothes twice once with soap and then run again with just wash and rinse without soap, you tell me how efficient is that! Why not make a washer that put more water so the clothes can get washed properly. Don't worry about my water and electric bill. MAKE A WASHER THAT WORKS!

I called customer service she asked me if I use the deep water, now you tell me why am I going to use the deep water, if that is the only way the washer is going to clean the clothes then do NOT give me 11 other options the washer to use. ONLY HAVE DEEP WASH OPTION. I don't care about the bells and whistles, I do not need a different tune when I turn it on and a different tune when it's done washing my clothes. Make the washer the way it used to be WASHES CLOTHES WITH WATER AND LOTS OF IT. I will pay my bill not to worry. So I called customer service all they said was they will document my call! Well... like that's going to do me any good while I am stuck with your POS washer!

Original review: May 29, 2018

I wish I had read the reviews before selecting this Bravos XL washing machine. I bought these from Conn's Appliance as they were on sale 750. Rounded figure... They were delivered today and the company was professional and set them up, I have spent the last 4 hours washing the same medium load of children's clothes trying to get them clean. I've even separated them into smaller loads and am now into the 5th hour of laundering this same load... I'm returning them but it's gonna cost me 15% restocking fee. If there's a class action please count me in. I thought because our Maytag Neptune lasted so long we'd have a great outcome again with these, boy were we WRONG!

Original review: May 28, 2018

You would be better off going to the river and washing your clothes with rocks. Piece of junk. Maytag will have you believe that the six inches of water this washer uses to clean a comforter is enough. I would like to know which individuals in the dept of energy thought this water saving feature was a novel idea. What use is a giant washer tub if it doesn’t have enough water. Sorry Maytag, my clothes used to come out clean with your old model, now I spend hours trying to figure out ways to get this washer to clean. Currently I am using the clean washer cycle for my comforters and then using the deep water cycle. So it takes about four hours to do a load of clothes. Thanks Maytag! This Maytag Bravos XL washer stinks.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Maytag 765 Washer - What a disappointment after having a Maytag set for 2 decades only to get a new one that isn't worth much quality wise. 2 new washers in 2 weeks due to a ratcheting noise that they both have. The solution??? Have a third service call only to hear, replace it (which we did) or replace the transmission. The 3rd call coming up will be the same. What good is a new transmission going to fix it when the last 2 machines had "New" transmissions. Quality??? I don't think so. Oh, I had to buy the second replacement in order to get credit for the first one. This was at Lowe's. Is there even a quality washer out there anymore?

Original review: May 22, 2018

If I could give this a 0-Star rating, I would! I can't believe Maytag would make such an awful washing machine! Within the first 2 weeks I called their service department because (in my opinion) the washer wasn't washing properly. It took over a month and several calls to get someone out to look at the washer & dryer. According to the technician, both machines were operating properly. Apparently the washer is designed to destroy clothing and bedding! The "gentle" cycle set on "deep fill" will add just enough water to get the clothing wet, then agitates for about 10 minutes, then it fills up, agitates for 3 more minutes and drains.

During the 10 minute dry-run, I watch my clothes get destroyed! I have never seen anything like this! My sweaters are shredded, my tops are pilled up & in a garment bag this thing managed to destroy a sports bra! This machine has ripped my mattress cover in several places and pulled my sheets from excessive rubbing due to not enough water. And what is up with the slow fill? The technician informed me that the trickling water is also normal. If I could return this washer, I would! I will never buy another Maytag because my Bravos washer died after only 4 years, and this one is brutal!

Original review: May 22, 2018

Maytag MCT Dryer - The washer I purchase is great but the dryer doesn't dry worth anything. Don't but it takes me hours to dry one load and the only reason I purchased this was because my old dryer was drying less but actually was better than this one. The time sensored dryer isn't worth 5 cents. So disappointed! I have had it 2 months, paid cash at Lowe's and so unhappy!

Original review: May 19, 2018

I own an iron in case a guest needs to use it but I seriously haven't ironed in over 20 years. I moved into a home in November and the appliances stayed with the home. I am systematically destroying my clothes that I always washed and dried but NEVER IRONED. They come out of the Maytag washer already wrinkled. I try to unwrinkle them in the dryer. I took 2 items to the dry cleaners to see if they could steam them but no results yet. What gives Maytag???

Original review: May 7, 2018

Bravos XL washer- This is probably the worst purchase I have ever made, first off, at $1000 it was a pricey purchase however, I chalked it up to it will last many years without issue. After only 3 years, the unit leaked water and was so loud you couldn't stay indoors while it was on spin cycle. The bearings and seal were completely shot and needed replacement, after the sticker shock of having a good repairman fix the problem I decided to tackle the job myself. (Thank you YouTube). All was well for the next 2 years until it all happened again. Maytag is junk and will never get another dollar from me-ever! A Speed Queen TR5 now sits where that piece of crap used to reside. BUYER BEWARE!

Original review: May 3, 2018

Please save your money and do not purchase a the Bravos XL MCT Washer and Dryer! I am sickened by the fact that I spent $1,800 on the biggest pieces of junk there ever was. You'd think a company like Maytag would be able to build a product that worked properly. We are getting ready for our FIFTH visit by a service repair company that will only plug in their computers and say nothing is wrong. Well here is what is wrong: Washer does not rinse all of the soap and I have many, MANY, pieces of dark clothing that are ruined because of the white streaks all over. I have done EVERYTHING the service guys have said to do; use less soap; use the deep water wash cycle, etc. etc. There are only two of us in the household so my average load size fills the EXTRA LARGE drum maybe half full so all their advice hasn't worked.

It does not rinse the water out of a load of towels (remember there are only two us so not that many towels) and I have to run it through a rinse and spin cycle. Waste of time, energy, AND money. I washed a single coverlet and had to run it through a rinse and spin cycle twice to get the water out! If you use the bedding cycle, it runs for 90 minutes and still doesn't spin all the water out! The dryer is not better either. On average, it takes one hour and ten minutes to dry 3 bath towels, a couple of hand towels and a wash cloth. One of the service people that came out, checked our dryer vent and said everything was hooked up correctly. Talk about a waste of energy!! I would do anything to get rid of these pieces of junk but we spent so much money on them I'm stuck until I win the lotto or something! I cannot stress enough that you will be wasting your money if you buy any washer and/or dryer product from Maytag! Believe me, I regret it every day!

Original review: May 2, 2018

This is a top load washer, commercial series, high efficiency without any agitator. It doesn't use enough water to break down the soap, no matter what soap or amount is used. Clothes come out of the machine with soap patches. It is also virtually impossible to balance the load so when it spins, it bangs and thumps and walks across the room until it shuts itself down. Stirring and re-distributing the load, changing the size of the load, small or large (should you actually fill the tub to a full load per instructions) it simply doesn't distribute or balance itself at all. At the end of the day, clothes need more water for extra rinse and then doesn't seem to work with soap removal all of the time. You can't put a load in and walk away and do something else or it will bang around and turn off. A waste of money and time. Save yourself, buy something else.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Bought this (Maytag Washer MVWB955FC1) on 1/8/18, was delivered late in January as it was on back-order. On 4/30/18, during a cycle, the washer made a pop sound. There was glass everywhere. The glass had shattered and exploded onto the floor and washer. The glass is on the inside of the drum and all over the clothes. Contacted Maytag and they sent out a repairman the next day. Repair said there is a point of impact indicated I dropped something on it. NOTHING was dropped on it. There is a point of impact, from the inside. The glass is pushed up and out indicating pressure from INSIDE the washer.

Repairman says it's not covered under warranty and that I had to pay for his time as well. He also said there are no known issues with this lid and washer. The lid is out of stock and won't be available for a while. I called Maytag and they gave me the same response, "never heard of this.." and "lid is out of stock". I found SEVERAL reviews/complaints in which, for the exact same model, this has happened to other people. This glass lid is dangerous and poses a serious safety risk to households that contain it. If they replace the lid, there is no guarantee this will not happen again. A child could walk by the washer and at any moment the glass lid could explode, send tiny shards of glass everywhere. I want a refund for this dangerous washer.

Original review: April 30, 2018

Not only does dryer come with missing parts and are told by Maytag 1 to 2 weeks for delivery or drive 25 miles to pick up one. You do not qualify for rebate even though you do not receive washer and dryer for 5 days after rebate starts. Should have kept my old GE was faster and got clothes cleaner. Was looking at a Maytag refrigerator not anymore with their service.

Original review: April 30, 2018

In December 2017 I bought a Maytag Bravos (w/o agitator) based solely on past experience (56 yrs.) of buying from Maytag without any complaints. A friend told me I wouldn't be happy with my purchase and she was RIGHT! It doesn't get my clothes clean to my satisfaction, my towels are all getting snags as well as silky sheets and pillowcases and dark clothes have a soap scum line on them. I have slightly better luck if I wash everything with the "deep water level" option but I still need to wash dark clothes a second time without any soap or fabric softener to lighten the scum line.

I am very careful to use minimal amounts of high efficiency detergent but that doesn't help. I called Maytag and complained within the first month but then we were gone for the month of February and I just never followed up with them. Now I'm sure it's too late to do anything. I wish I had listened to my friend. Hopefully I can save another consumer from making the same mistake I made.

Original review: April 30, 2018

This one of the worst purchases I have ever made! Paid over $850 in March, 2015 for the Maytag Bravos XL. At first, we experienced leaking and now there is a terrible banging and clanging noise! Had an appliance repairman come to see what was going on. Apparently it needs a hub replacement and bearing replacement. Was told by two companies that it is not cost effective to fix it due to the amount of parts and labor.

Aside from this major issue, I never felt that the clothes came out clean. Many times, the clothes would come out with detergent all stuck to the clothes and had to be rewashed. The softener and bleach dispensers are not removable and it is nearly impossible to get all the way into the cup in order to clean the mildew that builds up. The fabric softener dispenser always had gummed up chunks.

Called Maytag several times to no avail. Was basically told - too bad it's out of warranty. I have never heard of a washer giving out after 3 years! The worst part is that I have searched many places on the Internet and apparently the bearing problem seems to be a common issue with this washer. I purposely bought an American made product and am extremely disappointed in not only this product, but the company as a whole. The customer service department is awful. I will NEVER purchase Maytag or Whirlpool ever again. They lost my business for putting a terrible product on the market and refusing to acknowledge flaws. Interesting that this model is now discontinued, but they refuse to acknowledge the problems. Stay away from Maytag and/or Whirlpool!

Original review: April 29, 2018

I was repairing this Maytag Maxima washer and was almost electrocuted. I simply grabbed the wrong screws which were too long for the door switch, one screw went through into the open/close switch and contacted voltage, thus causing a direct short to the chassis and me. It also damaged my control board (the most expensive one in the industry), now I'm out an extra $220 because Whirlpool made an engineering error. A screw should not be located so close (millimeters) to a voltage source where a simple mindless mistake could cause electrocution and possibly death.

As for the washers operation, the drain pump failed after just two years, it sometimes leaks water out the front because debris gets into the boot drain back holes. It smells like mildew even though we leave the door open, my clothes stink, Affresh is costly and really doesn't help much. It does a decent job of cleaning, not as good as the old top loaders but it saves water. I think next tax return time this machine goes up for sale and we get a better machine.

Original review: April 28, 2018

We bought a Maytag Bravos XL assuming that because of the brand name it would be a great machine. WRONG. This washer is truly awful. Every single load of darks comes out covered in soap scum. I always have to rewash every dark load with no soap for a full normal cycle in order to get the scum off. My whites are probably also scummy but often I just throw them in the dryer as I can't see the scum. It's just a very, very poorly designed machine that obviously wasn't tested before they started manufacturing and selling it. It's criminal how Maytag continued to sell this piece of junk, and I'll never trust their brand again.

Original review: April 27, 2018

At first the Maytag Bravos XL top load washing machine met all me expectations. After 3 yrs. the top where you load bleach and fabric softener began to rust. This is not covered under warranty. My last washer was a Whirlpool and had it 15 year and never had that issue. So it can't be from the water, just poor workmanship. Very disappointed. Now my lid came loose and is ready to fall off. Would not recommend.

Original review: April 26, 2018

We trusted the Maytag name to give us a good product that would last. After six weeks the Maytag Bravo stopped working. Having to wait 7 days before a service repair person came to our home. The main motherboard needs replaced. So currently, we are still waiting for the part to arrive and have it installed. 2 weeks without a washer after spending 600.00 for a new washer. There is more problems also, this machine takes 1 hour to complete a single load of laundry. Plus it does not get the clothes clean and the rinse cycle does not get all the soap out of the clothes. Very unhappy with the Maytag Commercial Bravo. Will not buy another Maytag product. Save your money and get another brand. We plan to get this one fix and sell it.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Maytag Commercial # MVWB765FW0: My husband and I wanted to get rid of our GE front load. It was horrible. Even constant cleaning and leaving the door open all the time, our clothes still smelled like mildew and musty. My hubby wanted an LG and I said no way. As a little girl my mom had an old wringer washer and her first electric washer was a Maytag in the late 50's. She passed away in 2001 and in her lifetime she had 2 electric washing machines both were Maytags. They were so dependable and built to last so naturally I wanted a Maytag. Wrong! I am so disappointed. We purchased it in Sept of 2017 for $695. I was so excited the first time we used it. It was a little noisy, but living in the county and having a well we were glad it was an energy/water saver. The first couple of months it was so refreshing to have clothes that did not smell musty and mildewy. I noticed they were really wrinkled but I still iron anyway so it was not a big deal.

However ironing over and over again on some items did not get rid of the wrinkles and the past 2 months I have been going thru lint rollers like crazy and it still does not come off. I have to use a slightly damp lint brush or go over the clothing with packing tape to get the lint off. It is horrible! I don't want my GE back but I don't want this one either! I wish I would have read reviews first and listened to my hubby. I won't ever have another Maytag and when this one goes I will certainly read reviews and go with something more dependable. Unfortunately for now we have wasted the money and it is ruining our clothes! I agree that we should all do the class action. There are just too many of us experiencing the same issues. Maytag should do right by the consumer! We have learned our lesson, review before you buy!

Original review: April 18, 2018

Maytag Bravo Washer - I recently purchase a fairly expensive washer built by Maytag. In my opinion it is the worst washing machine I have ever owned. Again in my opinion their advertising about being such a reliable company should be considered false advertising, and near criminal. If you had a lower rating I would use it. Absolutely you should never use the word 'Bravo' in a description of this washer. I will never purchase a Maytag appliance again. Check the internet for reviews before you purchase. I had just came out of surgery and in a wheelchair and trying to move back home and didn't do my homework.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Maytag washer Model #: MVWX655DW - I purchased this machine at Lowe's in May of 2016. Always was a loud machine but seemed to work ok. In April 2018 the machine stopped working correctly. The spin cycle would lock up and not finish leaving clothes soaked. Called Lowe's and waited for their repairman. He came and said it was the clutch and drive motor. Repair is over $400. Machine is worthless. Huge mistake. Never buy a Maytag. I called Maytag to see if they would warranty it. They basically said, "Sorry only a one-year warranty on it." I told them the reason I bought it was it had 10-year warranty on it. They said only certain parts but it's the drive motor that is clearly marked on the machine that has the 10-year warranty. I was told, "No sorry." What huge waste of money. I am out close to $600 and Lowe's only give you a store credit with their protection plan.

The credit is not enough to purchase another machine without more out of pocket expenses. I will never buy another Maytag and I would not recommend anyone else does. Their warranty is a huge joke. Their customer service is terrible. Maytag should not even bother sticking the 10-year drive motor warranty on their machines. They do not honor it. My advice do not even consider buying one. You will be out the money and be purchasing a new machine within two years.

Original review: April 17, 2018 I positively HATE the new BravosXL Maytag washer, which has no decent agitator. It is ruining my clothes, as it spins with little water and leaves soap residue all over the clothes. Additionally it puts large, long wrinkles in my knits, especially disfiguring slacks. Maytag must have known how rough and ruinous this washer was on knits BEFORE selling it to an unsuspecting public! I want my money back in order to purchase an "old-style", well-functioning agitator washing machine.

A class-action suit should be brought against Maytag. There was no way to know before buying and using that this machine is horrible!!!

Original review: April 16, 2018

If I want to line dry something, first I have to pick off all the lint. Even when I use the dryer, I still have to pick off lint and there’s often creases with dirt dried right in. I have to inspect everything that comes out of the washer to see if it is clean before I dry it. This doesn’t save water, as I often have to wash things at least twice. Awful! Also, ridiculous. A wash machine is supposed to get things clean.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Maytag used to make a great laundry machine. The barrel of the Bravos XL machine is very deep, and it is difficult to reach the bottom of the machine to get clothes out. My biggest complaint is that the clothes don't get clean; there is not enough water filling the machine to clean the clothes. The clothes get wet, but there is no agitator, and the water isn't deep enough to suspend the dirt and wash it away, even on the "deep wash" setting. There is also a lot of lint left on the clothes that can't rinse off. Why is the barrel of the machine so deep if it only fills up 1/6 of the height? I had great hopes, but I really regret buying it.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I purchased this on sale at Home Depot, 1 year later this washer top load doesnt clean clothes if the cycle does finish at all. I have to restart the cycle, re-rinse etc, theyre still dirty. I dont have time for that, I have four children and my husband works in construction and comes home with filthy clothes that are just wet and dirty when they come out of this washer. I dont usually write reviews but I hope I can save someone else the hassle. I wish I would have read the reviews beforehand, they all complain of the same thing. This washer altogether is BAD! IT'S LOUD, it bangs around if I dont put in the tiniest loads, even then, they come out dirty. Dont waste your time.

Maytag Washers & Dryers expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Maytag has been inside American homes for over 100 years and continues to provide innovative technology and great customer service.  The company is especially famous for its Maytag Man, a symbol of the company's dependability and dedication to service. Maytag continues to build success, with nearly five billion dollars in revenue generated in 2014. Their washers and dryers are available as top loading or front loading and can be configured to fit your laundry room’s space. Maytag’s innovative technology ensures your clothes get just the right amount of clean and just the right amount of dry, all while saving you time and money.

• Energy Star qualified: All of Maytag’s washers and dryers are Energy Star qualified, meaning they are energy efficient and will save you money compared with a machine that is not Energy Star qualified.

• Size capacity: All of the front loading and top loading models range from medium to extra large capacities, so you can buy one that works best for you based on the size of your average laundry load.

• Quiet: Maytag washers and dryers are quiet, so you can put them anywhere in your house, including closets and near bedrooms, without worrying about noise.

• Advanced Moisture Sensing: Maytag’s Advanced Moisture Sensing makes sure every article of clothing gets dry, from socks to towels. The sensor strips located inside the dryer measure moisture levels around the fabric of the clothes in the dryer. At the same time, inlet sensors determine air temperatures to stop the load at the appropriate time.

• Best for: Value hunters, families, individuals and customers who want a dependable brand.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs