Save on Appliance Repairs

Save on Appliance Repairs

With the Best Home Warranty

Compare Quotes

3000 Maytag Washers & Dryers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 24, 2019

Bravos XL top loading washer looks nice and very large, but that's about how deep it goes. It leaves even a small load half-unwashed unless you select "deep water wash" and even then it FAILS TO USE ENOUGH WATER. I tried to go and fill it up once with tap water and it totally DRAINED THE WATER AND SOAP before it unlocked! It was on "Deep water wash" and the top of the load was totally dry as I dumped the hot water onto it.

It is a bad design and it should have never been sold. I know it has special places designed only for "HE" detergents but when you try to use a Tide Pod the detergent NEVER FULLY WASHES OUT OF THE CLOTHES.... Too small a load, too big a load, exactly 5 pounds or exactly 10 pounds it really doesn't work very well - AT ALL! I was thinking that I might like to get some SHOS at the low price it is but now I can see why they are definitely not getting back into business.

Original review: April 23, 2019

Do NOT buy a Magtag washer. I purchased a brand new washer from Lowe's in 2017. The washer gets stuck in the wash cycle. When I called Lowe's, they said to call Maytag, who sent a service person out. The service person "recalibrated the machine" never ran a cycle and left. We had to call two more times after this for the same reason with the same result where the serviceman left without running a cycle. This was all while the product was under warranty. Since I had three service calls, I called Maytag frustrated that this kept happening to a new product. I was told there was nothing they could do, but if it happens again to have the service guy come back out. When the warranty runs out, I will have to pay for the service tech. Unbelievable. Save your time, money and frustration and buy a Whirlpool! I don't know how Maytag gets away with selling defective products.

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I wish I had researched high efficiency washers before buying because of a name we trusted implicitly. Our washer does not get our clothes clean & cleaning it with Affresh is not enough. I have never had to work so hard at getting clothes clean! Towels smell musty, stinky. My husbands sweaty workout & gardening clothes smell worse, even with subsequent washes & his shirts have white spots from the detergent not even being washed out.

The rinse cycle water just washes out the bottom of the machine while the clothes are plastered against the side of the machine. I do not wash my husband's clothes with anyone else's or it all smells and if he washes them twice, they still have that odor that comes from being dank. Even if I stop the washer to arrange the clothes on the bottom so they will get rinsed properly (gotta wait two hours for a load to finish) I have bought every HE laundry detergent on the market, every odor remover, vinegar, baking soda, bleach.

For a year I've been chasing my tail to do the dance that I never had to do with a top loader agitator Maytag that we had for 7 years and never had to clean once, but used unscented detergent that got the worst smells and stains out without much thought. Even reviews that I read about their amended top loader with an agitator are not very good.

Original review: April 22, 2019

Maytag Washer Model#MVWC465HW2, just purchased it 1/30/2019, leaves white stains on dark colored clothes. I use liquid soap. I don’t use softener nor bleach. I use OxiClean on my whites and sheet softener in the dryer. Someone please out there help, I can’t return it, it’s past 30 days. I have extended warranty but they can’t help. It’s not broken. I hear a lot of bad reviews/complaints, but no answer if it’s been solved or how to solve it. Please someone help???

Original review: April 19, 2019

Model# MVWC200BW1 bought in 2015 tangles/stretches clothing. This machine is/has been a true disappointment. The agitator "wings" are not attached at bottom allowing clothing to get caught and as the agitator turns, so does the clothing causing stretching and severe tangling. Poor design compared to the agitator that would rise and fall - those got clothing clean and did not ruin them. I cannot trust this machine to moderately cost clothing for fear of their demise. The "lock-down" mode is not convenient for those last minute added items. Will not be buying Maytag/Whirlpool ever again when another machine is purchased. This is a piece of rubbish!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maytag Washers & Dryers?

Original review: April 19, 2019

Very helpful, great value for family, amazing how much it fits our family.... I would purchase all Maytag products are reliable and worth the price and will guarantee the product is great for a big family.

Original review: April 18, 2019

We bought the Maytag Bravos washer & dryer combo from box store. I wanted an extra large capacity washer to accommodate king sized bedding, and having fewer wash loads in general. Cons: 1 - This machine is not energy efficient when each wash load takes 1:30 to 1:50 each load. 2 - The detergent/fabric softener/oxi dispensers are a joke. Water dumps into every compartment at once. And if there’s still detergent left by the rinse cycle, well you get the picture.

3 - The “Bedding” setting is the only one which will provide enough water in the tub to get anything wet. Since there isn’t any type of agitator the clothing/bedding just floats on the surface in dirty perfumed water. 4 - With any of the other settings the water level is so low it doesn’t always get everything wet so items are not being washed properly. At most maybe 2 pairs of jeans or just a few t-shirts can be washed on the “Normal” or “Power Wash” settings. 5 - Because there isn’t an agitator, clothing gets knotted up. Dress shirts, dress pants, jeans, towels, you name it, everything comes out of the washer in a knotted mess.

The Bravos XL Dryer: My only complaint with the dryer is that it allows a good amount of lint to pass through into the machine. Then it’s difficult to get any type of lint brush into the vent area to remove the lint. Dampened lint in the machine can make clothing smell musty and nasty. I had to call a service to remove lint from the dryer & ducting because of the odor lingering from the inside the dryer.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I wish that I had looked up reviews before purchasing my washer 6 months ago! No matter which setting I use, the washer never fills up with enough water!! I have pulled clothes out that haven't even gotten wet, due to not enough water in machine! All due to the government regulated water levels on the sensors!!!! So, I had my plumber put in hot and cold water faucets, then he put a short "Y" hose on, so this way I can add water to the machine.... The only thing is, you have to wait for the machine to fill with what it "thinks" is enough water to get your load clean.... stop the washer, then add the water you need. But if it reaches a certain point, it will automatically start draining. So you have to watch and make sure you stop adding the water, before reaching that point!

Original review: April 17, 2019

Bought this because of the load capacity and it seemed like it would be a good purchase to help save on water. But worst mistake ever. The water level barely touches the clothes on top. It barely has any water whatsoever. All my dark colored clothes come out with residue. It’s disgusting and cleaning with Affresh does no good either. Very disappointed with the company.

Original review: April 11, 2019

It sounds like an old threshing machine... I have to close the laundry door it is so loud. People can't believe it's a new machine. So saving water is the big deal we hear so much about...but water is the main cleaning agent and it hardly covers the clothes even on a full load coverage. Do not use bleach in the machine unless the load contains ONLY WHITES. It just destroyed a new pink top as it spurts out the bleach without any controls. It does not get whites or clothes clean and just twists the clothes to the point everything you wear has to be ironed. There is not one good thing I can say about this pair of appliances except BUYER BEWARE~ I wish I had read the reviews... Buy the old...tried and true.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Wish I had read the reviews! I have had Maytag before and they were awesome. New purchase is horrible! Doesn't clean the clothes, leaves a residue on clothing and dryer does not dry properly. Called Maytag and they said use Affresh. Spent $10 on a pack of 5, and it did no good. My dark clothing is getting ruined! The washer is also incredibly LOUD! Very disappointed in this company and would never recommend them to anyone! I had purchased at Lowe's, but had a delayed delivery, so I can't take them back, or I would.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Purchased a Maytag top loader. Hand wash clothes leaves a soap residue on clothes. Called Maytag they sent service out. Service tech said (off the record) the design of the machine does not produce enough water, but reported that machine works. Called Maytag again and they said they would need to send out a "Master" technician. So I set up another appointment (had to take more time off from work) with the "Master" technician. It was the same guy that came the week before! He didn't bother coming in to look at it!

Called Maytag again and they said they would only be able to schedule a service call and if they come out and there is nothing wrong with machine, I would have to pay for the service call!!! I asked for a supervisor and explained why would I do that and he said they would send out another service technician from another service company and I wouldn't have to pay for it. He also offered me an extended warranty for a year for free. That's great, but my machine is not fixed. This service technician said (off the record too) top loader machines are no good, do not buy, not enough water. He was there less than 5 minutes.

Just got off phone with Maytag again and they can no longer do anything else, that the machine is working. I explained to the gentleman that yes the machine fills with a little bit of water and drains the water but it does NOT clean the items! Not going to let this happen to someone else. Plan on spreading the word to everyone to NOT BUY A MAYTAG TOP LOAD WASHING MACHINE. DOES NOT CLEAN YOUR CLOTHES. CONSTANT RESIDUE LEFT ON CLOTHES!

Original review: April 7, 2019

First, the machine is a wrinkle monster no matter what I try. I wash my clothes on delicate cycle to keep the colors longer and so my clothes last longer. This has never been a problem with previous washers. I take them out IMMEDIATELY as soon as the door unlocks and shake them out and hang everything to dry. This worked great previously and I never had to iron anything or put anything in the dryer to get wrinkles out. Now, this washer wrinkles my clothing to an unbelievable extent so that they need to be ironed or a round in the dryer to relax them. This is true on Wrinkle Guard and using the delicate setting, set between medium and none on the spin cycle. Wrinkle Guard? I don’t think so. This thing wrinkles my No Iron shirts so they will have to be ironed or steamed.

The washer leaves lint like residue most all of the time on dark clothing from day one. I most recently did a load of black only clothes that I did on delicate, soil level between med to extra heavy, spin speed between med and none, and, because of the dirty clothes issue, I had the extra rinse on. The clothes came out dirtier looking than they went in and looked like I washed them with a box of tissues and too much soap. They looked dirtier than before I washed them and had a whitish and lint like residue on everything. So I ran them through the same cycle/extra rinse again but WITHOUT any soap. Unfortunately I didn’t watch to see how much water the machine sensed that these loads needed and I didn’t see how much water was there - but I did for other loads after - see the next problem below. After the second identical cycle, the clothes had the same residue which I photographed and have enclosed below. (And still a wrinkled mess.)

We have found that the water sensor can’t sense the proper water level needed and is likely not functional. Sometimes it seems like it might almost be be appropriate and sometimes not at all. Specifically, after I ran the black load through, I decided to try a small red load before my usual large blue load just to see how much water there was. Same settings as above, 6 small items that barely covered the bottom of the drum and the washer sensed a medium load. Certainly by volume of clothing this was not a medium sized load and if it goes by weight, it was the smallest load possible! Medium water level…

These clothes seemed to agitate ok because they were completely submerged in water and came out clean. Then I did the much larger blue load that filled the drummer then halfway. This had so many more items than the red load and weighed way more. I tried the same settings as above and this time the machine sensed a SMALL load and the water level was barely halfway up the clothes, if even that much. So half of the clothes were out of the water and we watched and witnessed that the clothes did not agitate properly.

This load came out like the black load so I ran the whole cycle again including the double rinse. This time, the same load was sensed to be a MEDIUM load although NOTHING changed except that the clothes were damp and lower in the tub as they were compressed from having gone through the entire wash cycle. They came out mostly clean, after the second wash, again, likely because this time they were almost covered by the water (2/3rds or so) and could move around a little better but still not great agitation.

There almost never seems to be quite enough water so that the clothes are not able to move by the agitator and sometimes we watch and can see that the clothes above the waters never get pulled into the water. I understand that this machine may not completely cover the clothes but this seems way short on water and the fact that things usually come out dirty means something is wrong. There is often so little water that the agitator can’t possibly work the clothes into the water. So, next I ran an Oxi cycle and witnessed that about half of the items were not in any water and were only wet because of the filling cycle not because they were moved around by the agitator. How can the oxi do its job if the clothes aren’t in the solution of at least wet from the solution which I didn’t see as likely as the clothes didn’t seem to move through much if at all?

Along with the same water sensing problem, why on earth isn’t there a manual water adjustment? If the water sensor doesn’t work, the other option is only the high fill setting. After finding my clothes still dirty when we first got it, I tried the high fill setting to see if this would help but the clothes still came out with that residue. This was the very first few loads I ran and was assuming it was just user error so I studied the manual and tried everything as recommended. Since reading that residue can result from too much water, I use the recommended sensing feature now. So, we can either have too much water or barely any at all…

Original review: April 6, 2019

Maytag is supposed to be the best. I wanted a top loader again. This washer is almost worthless because of the water control. I have to add buckets of water before I start the washer. Otherwise the clothes are not clean. The cycles are strange with the amount of agitation. I will continue looking for an OLD model. DO NOT BUY THIS WASHER.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Purchased a high-efficiency washer and dryer from Maytag in November 2018. Having difficulty with both of them. Washer does not wash clothes properly. Clothes come out with Lint and soap residue dryer does not dry properly as clothes turn into one big ball if a blanket or sheet is put into the dryer and the clothes are not dry properly. Have to run the cycle twice, sometimes three times. This happens even when the setting is too bedding and high heat.

Contacted customer support to basically be told that although they have received other calls with the same issues there is nothing that they're going to do about it. I was told I have to give myself time to get used to the technology. I told the gentleman that that is what I had done and now that it's been several months the problem persists. At this point I was told I only had a month and now it was too late for them to do anything about it. My advice to people is please read all the reviews. Doesn't look like many of them are good ones by something different than this product.

Original review: April 2, 2019

This machine actually gets my towels dirtier during the wash cycle. If I put any towels in with dirt on them it just transfers the dirt to other towels that are lighter in color. New towels have come out with dirt on them that cannot be washed out. I was a long time Maytag believer but not anymore. This machine is awful and now I’m stuck with it cause who can buy a new one after spending so much on this machine, especially since I’d like to just take it to the dump!

Original review: March 30, 2019

I reviewed lots of reviews, and decided that the negative reviews ones were sour grapes or uninformed customers! WRONG! Do not buy this washer. I replaced a 16 year old Frontloader Bosch! Should have had the Bosch repaired, but wanted a topload for a change, new look etc. From day 2 the washer began to squeal during the early cycle and at the end as well. Maytag repair was out for an unrelated repair on another appliance. I told the tech about it and he suggested it's brand new etc, give it time to settle in.

Now 4 months in and another service call to tell me it's nothing!! It squeals so loud I can not run it while in the next room. I have videoed it and sent it to the Maytag repair in Glenwood Springs, and he said I should load it only full enough to see the impeller at all times!!!! Forget a full load of work clothes or a pillow or blanket. Which is to be expected to be able to wash. He said I needed to spread the clothes out manually along the outer sides of the TUB only, prior to washing the clothes! not over the impeller. I am not kidding! This is a open tub, so the impeller is the little thing in the middle on the bottom. I advised him, I videoed the event and even with three socks in it for a test it still squeals like a (well you get the idea). Trying to get Maytag help, but nowhere. Matching dryer door hinge broke first week, it has been repaired. Not good quality at all for the top of line Maytag. Then Maytag Man must be busier these days, than of old.

Original review: March 28, 2019

6 week old High Efficiency Washer leaves lint and soap lines. I've tried deep water wash plus the 2 rinse settings and I still have to wash the load twice to get rid of the lint lines and soap lines. I've also tried every combination of settings to no avail and I follow the guide to a tee because this machine actually weighs the clothes to determine the water level. Maytag customer service was polite but useless. I'm assuming it's the poor design but customer service says I will be charge for the warranty service call if no problem is found. Maytag, another fine company down the drain. PS, parts are made in China.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I hate my $500 Maytag washer that looks like a regular agitator washer but isn't & doesn't even fill up halfway with water. It definitely doesn't clean my clothes well enough either!

Original review: March 27, 2019

If you are considering this product...RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN!! This is the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned!! I would be more than happy to take back my 20+ year old washer over this JUNK!! It is 2-2 1/2 years old tops. I cannot count how many times my husband has already had to repair this garbage!!! I will NEVER purchase another Maytag appliance! My stainless steel dishwasher isn't any better!!

Original review: March 27, 2019

This washer was the biggest disappointment I have ever had. When I looked at it in the store I was excited that the tub was so big and the Maytag Label has always been trustworthy to me and my family. This machine certainly has disillusioned me against Maytag. I can only wash clothes on the bulky sheet cycle because even with "deep water wash" it only puts about 2" of water to wash clothes. Clothes on top don't even get wet! It doesn't take an engineer to figure out that you can't wash clothes without water.

Big mistake! Would never recommend this washer to anyone! I complained directly to Maytag and never received a response. I have had to rewash clothes because they did not get clean. Even with an extra rinse the clothes still have enough soap in them to make my skin irritated. My whites are not white even though I use hot water and follow all of the directions provided with the machine. If there was any way I could afford it, I would throw this machine out to the garbage and get one that actually cleans the clothes. I will never buy another Maytag machine in my life.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I like Maytag but my low water no agitator washer does not do the job as well as it could. Also if a coin gets in the washer it is very hard to get out of the crevasse in the tub area. Most people from time to time have some change ending up in the washer...it should be easier to retrieve.

Original review: March 25, 2019

We bought a new commercial Maytag washer. It’s deep, it has the agitator, suppose to be the top of the line. I can do sheets and the top ones are dry when done. It doesnt get clothes clean especially if they are really dirty. So I add water to this wonderful machine——anyone wanting pictures of finished clothing I would be glad to send to you. Dirty jeans come out dirty jeans. If I forget and don’t add water it’s worse. So I watched it. It fills up to maybe halfway on clothes and this is on heavy soil and deep fill. I complained about it at the store and was told “he had one and it did fine” and you can’t get any that do any better.

Original review: March 23, 2019

We have had this machine for too long. It starts banging and making tremendous amounts of noise. We have balanced it and tried loading it in different ways but when it starts to spin it apparently tries to 'even' the load somehow that results in very loud noises and movement of the washer in the laundry room. Terrible machine. If we could afford it we would trash this one in a heartbeat and buy a different brand.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I bought my washer just over 3 years ago and it started making loud clicking noises and it seems like the agitator function is not working at all. I have a repairman coming over in a few days. I knew I should have gotten the extended warranty!

Original review: March 19, 2019

I purchased a washer & dryer from Lowe's on December 3rd. On February 20th, my washer stopped filling up. I called customer service and had someone come out a few days later. The repairman said the sensor broke & it would take 10 days for part to come in. After 2 weeks, I tried calling repair company and they would not answer phone for Maytag, or me. Maytag called another service provider, and it will be another week before part comes in. Never could get in touch with anyone who was helpful! Now it’s been a month, and still not fixed!

Original review: March 19, 2019

Maytag washer model MVWC416FW1. This is the worst washer ever. I only had this washer for 1 year and 2 months. Oil leaks from the bottom all over my floor. The washer is soooooooo loud you can probably hear it down the street when it is on spin cycle and the start button works when it wants. I called Maytag and they told me if a service man come it may not be covered and I will have to pay out of pocket. The 10 year warranty listed on top of the washer and dryer only covers the parts not the labor. Very disappointed. It's a good thing I purchased an extended warranty but I don't know what will they do. 1 year and may be buying another washer. It DEFINITELY won't be a Maytag. If I could rate this a 0 I would.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I bought the Maytag Bravo XL washer and dryer several years ago after reading many reviews. I like the glass top of the washing machine and the front door glass on the dryer. The dryer is fine it's the washing machine that does not perform like the old machines. Whoever came up with the bright idea of saving water by cutting down the volume in your machine to about 6 inches for a good size load probably have never used a washing machine in their life. It does not get your clothes clean and does not get the soap out of a clothing to my satisfaction. Who made this suggestion? Could it be the same branch of government that made everybody use those spiral light bulbs years ago? The fluorescence that give off loads of EMF?

Original review: March 17, 2019

The washer makes holes in my shirts. Odors like perfumes are still on the shirts when they come out. Does not wash great. The dryer is good but does not take out cat hair. My old machine washed a lot better than this new one. I have mold in where you dispense the cleaning product and the way it is made I cannot clean it. I am so disappointed with this product.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I bought the Maytag because of its reputation and as a washer it hasn't disappointed me.. It gets my clothes clean with a minimum amount of effort on my part and it doesn't use a lot of water... I love my washer.

Maytag Washers & Dryers expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Maytag has been inside American homes for over 100 years and continues to provide innovative technology and great customer service.  The company is especially famous for its Maytag Man, a symbol of the company's dependability and dedication to service. Maytag continues to build success, with nearly five billion dollars in revenue generated in 2014. Their washers and dryers are available as top loading or front loading and can be configured to fit your laundry room’s space. Maytag’s innovative technology ensures your clothes get just the right amount of clean and just the right amount of dry, all while saving you time and money.

• Energy Star qualified: All of Maytag’s washers and dryers are Energy Star qualified, meaning they are energy efficient and will save you money compared with a machine that is not Energy Star qualified.

• Size capacity: All of the front loading and top loading models range from medium to extra large capacities, so you can buy one that works best for you based on the size of your average laundry load.

• Quiet: Maytag washers and dryers are quiet, so you can put them anywhere in your house, including closets and near bedrooms, without worrying about noise.

• Advanced Moisture Sensing: Maytag’s Advanced Moisture Sensing makes sure every article of clothing gets dry, from socks to towels. The sensor strips located inside the dryer measure moisture levels around the fabric of the clothes in the dryer. At the same time, inlet sensors determine air temperatures to stop the load at the appropriate time.

• Best for: Value hunters, families, individuals and customers who want a dependable brand.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs