Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

3036 Maytag Washers & Dryers Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Both work good. Washer could be a little lower and it has quit rinsing and I cannot use it. But it is 9 years old, I think for their age they were a good buy. I plan to get the washer repaired because have been satisfied with how clean it gets my clothes and it washes pretty quick. I got the large capacity and with a very large load the washer gets them clean. The dryer is very good. It is just as good on a large load as small, dries quick. I would buy this type washer and dryer again and would definitely recommend it to folks. I have been very happy with this washer and dryer. The paint is coming off the washer where you put detergent and fabric softener in and it has rusted out some but it is getting a little age on it so this is expected. I like it, I can throw my comforter in and it gets it clean and the large loads always come out great. I think anyone who bought the set would be very happy with it. It is also quiet which I like.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I purchased a 2006 model Maytag Top load Washer and Dryer used 9 years ago January 2010 to replace a 2009 Samsung front load washer/dryer. I had to replace the agitator on Maytag washing machine before I could use it. Fast forward November 2018 the washing machine stopped agitating the clothes, but would spin the water out. I replaced 2 belts and thoroughly cleaned underneath and inside washer to remove soap residue. Maytag washing machine has been used twice a week since 2010-2019 and still going strong. Maytag dryer has never had any issues. I also own a set of 25+ year old Maytag Washer/Dryer both still working.

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Bought the Maytag high efficiency washing machine with the auto-sensing and deep water wash feature. It took some getting use to because of all the washing choices and different noises it makes. Auto-sensing seems to use very little water which is strange but clothes seem to come out clean. Best bet for me is like the old school way and use deep water wash and "light" load which is shorter and that's most efficient power wise but will use more water which is fine by me. Also bought the matching dryer and that's a 5 star review. Excellent product.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

After seeing all the bad reviews about Maytag I decided to write my review, we purchased a Maytag washer and dryer 1990 when moving into our new home, and we still have the same set. Now it does not have a motherboard which I feel today is the major problem with most appliances. Get away from the motherboards. Turn the machine on and off when it's supposed to, or let it run its Cycles. Don't overfill, because this causes wearing motor parts. The dryer belt wore out on the dryer but that was an easy replacement. I'm a woman of 64 and get it myself. Maytag I hope that you get back to the plain ol' simple washer and dryer because mine is probably going to wear out which I hope not but I would so love to get the same set I got now.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

During 2018 we purchased Maytag Bravos top loader to replace antique KitchenAid. Very dissatisfied at first, but luckily found the settings that makes my machine work very well on every cycle. First add 1/2 gallon of water to empty tub. Add detergent. Set controls at: Soil Level-Heavy; Wash temp - Warm; Main dial - Bulky Sheets; Extra Rinse - ON; Fabric Softner - OFF. Can now load full tub of clothes and more detergent if desired. Press start button and water covers it entirely. It works so well now, that I went from I hate it to I love it. Been going for two perfect months with no issues. Weird but true. Hope this helps you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maytag Washers & Dryers?

Original review: July 20, 2019

Two years ago I purchased a Maytag commercial technology top-load washer. It only two options for water level, either deep water or Auto sensor. Because I live alone I have very small amounts of clothing to wash at a time. Therefore I was excited about the auto sense to save water. However when using the auto sensor there's such a small amount of water in the drum it does not cover the clothes being washed and often I have items of clothing come out of the wash cycle and rinse cycle with dry spots on them yet. The clothes don't get clean and begin to smell stale shortly after they've been washed. I contacted the business from which I purchased the machine and they were not able nor willing to do anything about my dissatisfaction. This is the worst Appliance I have ever purchased in my 64 years how's life. I hate this washer. It is totally ineffective. And now I'm stuck with it and dirty clothes.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I am replacing my second Maytag Bravos washing machine. My first had heavy use and I rationalized that the 5 year life span was due to the heavy use. The one that I am replacing now is only 3 years old and has only done laundry for one 67 year old woman. It suddenly needed two parts with a repair bill that was going to be over $600.00. I decided it was in my best interest to spend a couple hundred more and replace it. I will not be buy Maytag again. The appliance company that I have bought most of my appliances from recommends Speed Queen which ironically also has a full 10 year warranty on all parts and labor.

Original review: July 13, 2019

Purchased a non agitator washer 1 year ago. Constant frustration with the sensing technology. Cannot select a water level or load size. The expectation is that the machine will do that automatically. The water dispenses through the soap container adding soap to dry clothes which then leave white marks on dark clothes. All of the selections for loads do not have a water level close to covering the clothes. The only way to achieve coverage is to reopen the lid multiple times to restart the sensing feature.

Another option is to add wet clothes to increase the weight to “fool” the sensor. Some clothes have come out of the wash still dry in areas. Every load, no matter what size takes a full hour to complete! There is no quick load to be done! I have paused the cycle to leave the house and the water drains from the machine causing you to begin your 1 hour cycle again. Epic fail by the Engineers to provide a user friendly machine. This one, as time goes on, just becomes more frustrating and yes very noisy during the spin cycle.

Original review: July 3, 2019

This Maytag is about 7 years old now, at least, and is still running strong. The one thing I do miss, though, is the lint collector basket that used to be on GE washers I've had in the past. Kleenexes have a sneaky way to getting into the laundry and picking out the remnants is a royal pain! The lint basket on the GE would save me that task.

Original review: June 28, 2019

I purchased this machine and after 2 loads it started making a very loud and awful noise. Maytag sent a local service person and he found a screw that had come undone and was in the motor. Since then there are a few strange noises that the machine makes during different cycles, usually involving spinning. Called Maytag and then sent repair person. This young man was non-verbal, was probably 20 and it was impossible to communicate and try to figure this out. Person sat through a full cycle and he said the noises are because the machine is out of balance. Well, why did the sync system not balance at the beginning of the cycle. No answer to that. He reported to Maytag that nothing was wrong with the machine.

Machine is still making noises and I cannot wash a small load or it will still be wet at the end of the cycle. I am a widow and live alone. I don't wash large loads. So I called Maytag again. They don't care. Finally they agreed to send another "2nd opinion". I have a lot of videos of the machine making strange noises and the repair kid does not care...lots of blank stares from him. I highly suggest not going with Maytag. They don't back up their products and they leave you with a bad machine. My LG FL was perfect. Never an out of balance load. I could wash a single item with no problem. MAYTAG IS A TERRIBLE COMPANY.

Original review: June 26, 2019

Besides the fact that it barely agitates or turns over the clothes even on deep fill (which we need every time otherwise a whole HE cycle goes and the top clothes remain DRY), the oh-so-fancy power button stopped working at less than 2 yo! And guess what, because it is not a button or knob, but "control panel" sensor button you hover over to turn on, the fix is to replace the $400 little control panel box. On a $600 terrible washing machine! We trashed it and bought something else without a faulty button system. Very unhappy. Do not buy this.

Original review: June 21, 2019

First of all, Whirlpool owns the Maytag brand. I've seen a few reviewers on here say "I will never buy Maytag! I'm buying Whirlpool from now on!" I picture the executives smiling and nodding, "Good." Maytag used to be great - machines lasted 20 years or more. Now they last about three. After one year, the paint on the washer was bubbling and coming off, and now it's starting to rust. The warranty doesn't cover cosmetic defects beyond 30 days, and the warranty for the rest of the machine is only one year. There's a reason for that - the machine will undoubtedly have problems after that. Multiple calls to Maytag/Whirlpool and they do not care. Terrible product, terrible customer service. I tell everyone I know never to buy Maytag or Whirlpool.

Original review: June 20, 2019

Maytag Bravos XL MVWB980BGO. To start, I live on an acreage so some problems may be related to being on well water. The most annoying part is the washer doesn’t have a drain & spin without rinse. So, when my well pump started acting up, I had no way to just drain & spin off the load, so I had to try to lift thoroughly soaked clothes and try to dry them...which took about four hours. Another aspect that is a pain is uneven loads. It keeps trying to fill, instead of just stopping & letting me adjust the load myself. Then the damn thing won’t reset. I often have to resort to unplugging the machine and starting over.

High efficiency is a joke. I’ve had the machine about five years now and it goes low flow error, even though the flow is fine. I’ve tried running cleaners through the water line and it’s still doing the same thing. The only thing left to try is take the machine out and try and manually go through the lines. For the amount of money we spent on this machine, I am thoroughly disgusted with how it runs. It is the first & last Maytag washer that I will ever buy. Next time, I’m buying as cheap & basic a machine as I can buy. On the upside, the dryer works perfectly.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I bought a Maytag Centennial Top Loading washer 2-1/2 years ago. It's worked very well, but has started to roar so loud on high-speed spin that you have to leave that side of the house to be heard. The factory technician determined that it had a "bad gearbox" and that it wasn't anything I had done that caused it. He told me it was going to cost more for parts & labor than the machine was worth. I called Maytag and was told they wouldn't help me because it was after the one-year warranty. When I asked for a supervisor, he offered to pay for the parts, but not the service. That's kind of like Chevy offering to pay for the defective engine part, but not the installation. I have never bought a major appliance (or even a hair dryer) where I thought 3 years was a reasonable life expectancy. Lifelong Maytag Customer has left the building.

Original review: June 17, 2019

I purchased the Maytag Bravos XL washing machine because I wanted a top loader that was water saving. This washer boasts of a 10 year commercial capacity so I thought I was buying a decent machine. Unfortunately I have had a very disappointing experience. From the start this machine has not cleaned clothes properly. We circle clothes around the agitator and only fill the machine a third of the way full. This is the only way to ensure clean clothes. We use HE soap.

As if this hasn’t been bad enough, the entire motherboard seems to be glitching out. It throws a different code each load and sometimes won’t start. Other times it won’t stop. It isn’t safe to use when we aren’t home or are asleep, making the time delay feature useless. Last night the machine ran for 2.5 hrs on a 1hr 30 min estimated deep water wash. I finally turned off the power and let it drain out after it insisted it had 45 min for the last hour.... this thing is a total waste of money. Will never buy another Maytag!!!!

Original review: June 17, 2019

My experience over the past 2 years with my top loading Maytag washer is echoed in almost every review here. 1. Not enough water to clean the clothes 2. Clothes come out still dirty and covered with detergent 3. Barely agitates 4. Repeated repairs for leaking and computer board breakdown 5. Complete lack of interest by either Lowe’s and Maytag when contacted. I could write a long, detailed complaint but it has all been said quite well. We need to band together and file a class action lawsuit against Maytag. Any lawyers out there willing to take this on?

Original review: June 10, 2019

I called Maytag's customer service about an over the range microwave that was bought 2 years ago and barely used. The mechanism in the microwave on the latch for the door, clicked into the body of the unit and therefore the door does not register closed which doesn't allow it to come on. After explaining this issue to the customer service rep, she insisted that the only thing that Maytag would stand behind was the part if needed. A service call would be between $100 - $150. The microwave isn't even that old and why would Maytag not stand behind a like new unit? I bought 3 Maytag products and I am now regretting it. I had asked to speak to a supervisor and she just proceeded to repeat the same thing the sales rep did. They will only cover the "cheap" part if needed.

What happened to Maytag being top of the line? Apparently they don't care about standing behind their products and would rather you buy an expensive extended warranty to cover their cheaply made appliance. I think they should be under review as a company. I would somewhat understand paying if my appliance was 5 to 10 years old. But it's basically new. How is there no protection for customers when it comes to purchasing lemons from an appliance dealer? I will NEVER buy Maytag again and plan on selling my 2 other newly purchased appliances before they have issues. Maytag's reviews on social media are terrible. All they offer are the words "I'm sorry" and I understand your frustration. I assume that's just what they have written down in front of them to tell everyone who calls with issues. How do you not stand behind your products! I wish I could select no stars vs the 1.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I bought this POS and paid almost 1000. Out the door with tax, hoses, delivery, etc. And it is by far the worst most useless pile of crap I have ever purchased. It just does not work!!! It's a washer that does not wash. It uses enough water to wash one sock and that still comes out stinky.. All my clothes no matter what cycle I use including deep fill power wash or if I add my own buckets full of water to the 1.5 hour wash cycle still come out dirty, stinky, stained and caked with detergent...

Hey Maytag here's a hint. You need water to wash clothes and you need agitation to get out the soil, the dirt, the sweat, the stains, the stink and your washer does none of that. In fact I could get my clothes cleaner if I out them in the bath tub and swished them around with a broom stick for 3 mins. How could you go from the loneliest man on earth to the biggest scammer on earth by producing this boondoggle... P.S. It's only me and my wife. We are retired and our clothes are not even that dirty... It's just common sense. No water no action no clean. I'll never ever ever buy anything that says Maytag on it ever ever again and you can bet your life I'm telling everyone I know this story.

Original review: June 4, 2019

We recently purchased a Maytag Washer/Dryer set, but shortly after it arrived, we realized it was way too big for our needs, so traded it in for a smaller model (Model #MVWB765FC3). After a few washes, it developed a loud clicking noise during the entire wash cycle. Inquired about it at the retailer we purchased it from (showed them video of it) and was told it was not supposed to make that noise. Subsequently the Maytag Repairman paid us a visit and told us there's nothing wrong with the machine and that the retailer should not have told us what they did.

#1). The machine did not make that noise initially. It started after a few loads of laundry. #2). The first machine we brought home was the same model (only larger) and that one didn't make that noise. To add insult to injury, the repairman has the audacity to tell my husband, "Well, this visit didn't cost you anything". Really?! It cost him 4 hours of pay while he sat home waiting for you! In addition, we were delivered two cosmetically defective dryers that had to be returned. Furthermore, when I was washer/dryer shopping, I sent Maytag's Customer Service Dept. an e-mail through their website asking questions about the product. To this day, I have still not received a response. I had a bad experience about 20 years ago with Maytag, but thought I'd give them a second chance. I tell you...there will not be a 3rd time.

Original review: May 27, 2019

Should have researched before purchasing our Maytag Bravos MCT washer! We purchased it at Home Depot and it was delivered and installed by a certified technician. From day one it has been so loud and obnoxious with the way it “knocks” and “clicks” when it runs through a cycle. When it spins the whole machine shakes viciously, despite being balanced properly at installation.

We have owned this washer just short of two years and for the last 8 months we have had to keep unplugging it to reset it so that it will even run through one cycle. The most recent two months have been extremely frustrating, due to the fact that not even troubleshooting can aid in “fixing” the fact that this piece of crap washer will not complete a wash cycle! It either stays in sensing mode & doesn’t add water, or it adds water but doesn’t do anything but sit still for about 15 minutes and then drains all the water back out and stays stuck on “wash”. We are researching online and have found many similar complaints with the same negative experiences. Our next step will be to call a repair person! What a crock!!! Maytag gets a big “thumbs down” from us!!!!

Original review: May 24, 2019

This Maytag Dryer (Model #MEDP575GWO) was delivered January 29th and the paint on top of the dryer is bubbling and peeling. I haven’t even had the unit 4 months yet and they tell me the warranty for “cosmetic” reasons is on 30 days. This is completely unacceptable and I will sue them if necessary. I am in utter disbelief.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I bought a Maytag washer and dryer about 2 years ago. I’m on my second washing machine (one was replaced from Lowe’s not Maytag). The second washer has now gone out! First it was the lid lock and now who knows! The repairman can’t even fix it. Biggest piece of crap, stay clear!! My first set lasted 25 years. Poor quality workmanship and customer service!!

Original review: May 21, 2019

I bought a new Maytag dryer model # MEDC555DW2 18 months ago. Prior I had owned a Whirlpool for 22 years and the only expense on maintenance was that I replaced 3 belts. This new Maytag started making a terrible noise so I called the store where I bought and they sent out a tech. $76.77 they charged me to...remove a penny from where it got lodged in the edge of the drum somehow. Maytag refuses to do anything about it and I feel like I've gotten the shaft because I bought an inferior product. In 22 years I'd guess I dried on accident over 100 dollars in change since I have kids. Should have bought a Whirlpool again and so should you. I'll never buy another Maytag product. Ever.

Original review: May 21, 2019

Don't buy this machine. Although it is an HE machine and supposed to save on water, it does not give enough water to at least cover the clothes. I had repair come in and they changed the computer but no improvement. The cycles determine the water amounts not the type of clothes you are washing. So if I only a few things I use cold water wash, if I have a half load I use deep water wash and have to add water to it. It's ridiculous. Do yourself a favor and get an LG. I wish I had.

Original review: May 19, 2019

TRASH! Bad, Destructive, Dangerous. I am in awe of the worthless, destructiveness of this machine. This washing machine does not add enough water to even cover clothing. It agitates, tangles & tears clothing. You end up with dirty filthy tangled clothing. And this is after waiting for it to make some kind of idiot decision as to whether or not to wash your clothes at all. I frequently go out and it’s made a decision not to start at all. There also is no lint filter, so subsequent loads of laundry are dirtier than the first. You can’t wash clothes without enough water to cover them. I read online that it adds water depending on the weight of the clothing, so wet the clothing first to make it think it’s a heavier load. When you do that it spins the clothes first before it begins to wash them. Your clothes still come out of the machine dirty. If you’re looking for revenge, make someone a gift of this washing machine. Otherwise, put it out with the trash.

Original review: May 19, 2019

The computer in the machine gets confused multiple several 100,000 times. It fills the bucket up unlike the h2o saving technology it claims to have!! Since buying this machine already have had repairs with in 6 months of buying. It does not go thru the whole cycle without having issues!! When we call about issues they come out state. They can’t stay for a load and only do blank load!!

Original review: May 16, 2019

Maytag washer. The worst I have ever had... Never again. The tub does not wash, swish nor spin after 2.5 years. Absolutely a waste of our hard earned money... Never ever buy another maytag again. Had a tech come out and wanted to charge almost $500 to repair it. We told him to get out and never come back.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Machine is 2 years old and has been in need of significant repair 7 times. Granted, we did not buy the warranty because we have a plan from our local utility company in NJ. However, this Washing Machine is an absolute lemon and Maytag doesn't really care. The product was bought at Lowe's and they don't care either. I have been shut down by Maytag when I asked for a replacement machine. I will never buy another Maytag product and am telling everyone I know to avoid Maytag at all costs. MY calls to the corp office go unanswered...

Original review: May 15, 2019

Our washer ran great until last week. Had repairman in. User interface died after 18 months use. $250 for the part plus labor. This is a $1000 washer. Buyer beware. Maytag is just another name for any washer in the Whirlpool lineup. Uses the same parts. Has the same issues. Should have bought a Speed Queen.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I bought the Washer and Dryer. All I can say about this washer is that it does not use water enough to be considered a commercial type of washer. Its balance is poor also for being so deep. I have to pour a bit of water on the clothes so the sensor thinks it’s a heavy load and do an extra rinse. And I saw that on a video regarding this washer trick. But I’m wasting more water cause I have to rearrange the clothes when done. I put the top ones on the bottom and start over. To me it’s a waste of effort sometimes I just go to the laundromat. They should consider their products if we all are complaining about this they should really do something. To me the washer is really useless.

Maytag Washers & Dryers expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Maytag has been inside American homes for over 100 years and continues to provide innovative technology and great customer service.  The company is especially famous for its Maytag Man, a symbol of the company's dependability and dedication to service. Maytag continues to build success, with nearly five billion dollars in revenue generated in 2014. Their washers and dryers are available as top loading or front loading and can be configured to fit your laundry room’s space. Maytag’s innovative technology ensures your clothes get just the right amount of clean and just the right amount of dry, all while saving you time and money.

• Energy Star qualified: All of Maytag’s washers and dryers are Energy Star qualified, meaning they are energy efficient and will save you money compared with a machine that is not Energy Star qualified.

• Size capacity: All of the front loading and top loading models range from medium to extra large capacities, so you can buy one that works best for you based on the size of your average laundry load.

• Quiet: Maytag washers and dryers are quiet, so you can put them anywhere in your house, including closets and near bedrooms, without worrying about noise.

• Advanced Moisture Sensing: Maytag’s Advanced Moisture Sensing makes sure every article of clothing gets dry, from socks to towels. The sensor strips located inside the dryer measure moisture levels around the fabric of the clothes in the dryer. At the same time, inlet sensors determine air temperatures to stop the load at the appropriate time.

• Best for: Value hunters, families, individuals and customers who want a dependable brand.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs