Maytag Washers & Dryers

Compare Washers and Dryers

Research top Washers and Dryers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I bought the Maytag Bravo XL MVWB725W washing machine and dryer pair in August of 2015. 2 months after I bought the pair the thermostat went out on the dryer. It was under warranty so it was fixed and no problems after that. In July of 2016 I have my first stainless steel hose break at the fitting because of corrosion flooding my laundry room. I thought it was a fluke so I put another one. The next hose started to corrode in September 2016. We thought there was some weird chemical reaction going on between the hose and the filter on the back of the machine. So we changed to rubber hoses in September. Since then we have gone through 6 sets of rubber hoses.

We have had the water company out, they say our water is fine. A plumber out, our new water heater is fine as is our plumbing. An electrician, who changed an outlet and put a grounding wire on our house water line. And an appliance repair man, he found the problem so he called Whirlpool who makes Maytag. There is corrosion on the water temp control. However nobody has EVER seen this problem and doesn't know how to fix it. Not even Whirlpool. And Whirlpool says it's my house. I'm at a dead end with a washer that is constantly going through hoses. It really doesn't wash clothes very well either unless you put a lot of stain remover on the clothing before and wash it in hot water. And yes it is noisy. Don't buy this product.

Bought a new Maytag High Efficiency washer. I followed the directions closely, using the proper type and amount of soap, and the proper settings for the soil level. The clothes come out of the washer smelling almost the same way they went in. I contacted Maytag by email. Their response was to send me instructions on how to operate the washer. I responded again. Their response was basically "Sucks to be you." This is the worst washer I've ever owned, and the customer service is truly awful.

I sold my 20 year old Maytag set and upgraded to this Maytag Bravos washer. This machine takes almost 1 hour to do a load and they come out dirty. Only way to get clean is to set on bulky sheet which uses twice as much water as old machine. This unit should have never been put on the market.

Bought a Maytag washer MVWC415EW in 4/2015. We don't use the washer heavily but over that time span the paint on the top cover and the side where the cover comes down has bubbled up. It looks like a bad rash but only on a washer. I think the company used inferior paint which can bubble up with the heat of the hot water during the wash cycle. I called the company but they do not cover "cosmetic" items on the warranty. I think since this was a flaw in the paint used they should at least replace the cover portion which would be an easy fix. Maytags are not what they use be! Last Maytag lasted 17 years with no paint problems or mechanical problems.

I am extremely unhappy. This is a terrible washer (Maytag washer MVWC565FW). I am so sorry I didn't buy a GE. Terrible loud noises, shakes and vibrates like a plane taking off. Funny smells as if something is burning. Repairman came 1 week after purchased and stated nothing was wrong. A huge waste of money, I HATE, HATE this horrible machine!!! Totally unsatisfied, I would never purchase anything with the Maytag name again!! Wish I could get my money back!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maytag Washers & Dryers?

This is the worse thing I have ever purchased!!! Every time I use horror washing machine I want throw it out!! Doesn't get clothes wet, much less clean. I have tried different settings. Does not help... I have to take sheets and bath towels to laundromat. Don't buy this machine Serial # C40431812 Model # WTW4900BW. Store says they have many complaints! I am not happy with Home Depot either!!

Bravos XL was costly. Mistake! I owned my first Maytag for 20 plus years. The sticker shock of buying a new Maytag 4 years ago was pushed aside knowing how long my previous model lasted. The salesperson at Lowe's closed the deal with his explanation of an improved gear driven system vs the old belt and pulley version. Oh how wrong! I too have the jet plane from hell landing in my home for over 2 years now everytime the spin cycle engages. This is a two person family and it failed at 2 years?!?!?

As for water conservation... if I don't include the additional rinse cycle, my clothes don't get clean. Watched the YouTube on how to repair this unit... but what guarantee do I have that it won't go back to the same problem in another year? Can't afford another big investment like this now that I am retired, so I will run this baby until it seizes up. Don't wash clothes if company is coming or if you want to enjoy evening TV programs. Not sure why this unit hasn't been recalled based on all the complaints I have read on this site?? Worst decision I ever made! I bet the Maytag Repairman is spinning in his grave!

My new 2017 Maytag washer Bravos XL MCT top load purchase has been very disappointing. I now regret I didn't try to return it in the first month as offered. It makes these horribly loud sounds that shake the house and make it impossible to sleep as you can hear throughout the house. You'd think new technology and $650 machine would be quiet. Several times we've had to restart because the rinse didn't get all the water out, and you can't select spin only. You must do a whole new rinse cycle. Stains don't come out, now we have to scrub before, where our 15 year old GE did a better job.

Surprisingly you don't even get stainless steel for this price, the most expensive and largest model they sold. We have 3 teenage boys and thought we would be able to wash large loads, in fact you can't or it won't spin them dry or clean them. When you select power wash it only uses hot water & takes over an hour (minimum 107 minutes, 120 with two rinse cycles) to wash with one rinse. I now wish I had bought a less expensive washer with a agitator, just glad I didn't buy the dryer now.

I had a tub failure on my washer Whirlpool Duet, which I bought brand new and it lasted 12 years with no problems. The dryer is still in use at my son's house. However, this failure lead me on a search for a set to replace the duet. I did some research and found the Maytag 6.2 Cu. Ft top loader and huge Dryer to match. The set was not cheap and it did have high marks for a great washer. So, I bought them both and had them delivered on 12/30/16. I have read all the owners manual and watched YouTube videos to see how to use this machine with all its pretty lights and sounds. I will concede that the machines look great, very impressive in my laundry room. I would bet it would even be a plus when I go to sell the house.

THAT is all the nice stuff I can say. The machine does not clean clothes and I have done all the settings. I have changed laundry detergents, and even tried to add a little more water with a bucket at the start of the wash. (Saw that one on YouTube.) REALLY. That did not work, nor should I have to do that to get it to clean well. The answer seems to be, set the machine on FULL tub of water. So, I tried that for a couple of times and found that the clothes just float around and since they do not touch the Wear Plate they don't get clean. My wife (yes, I am a man that does most of the laundry) said she hates the washer and I was an idiot for buying this expensive piece of metal that does nothing but take up space and leaves spots on your clothes. Have you heard the term Happy Wife-Happy Life. Well not so much for me now.

Spending money even $2,500.00 on a washer and dryer seems a little crazy. But I had the extra money and I have always wanted a MAYTAG. These guys know how to make a washer. Boy was I wrong, this machine must be an embarrassment to Maytag. I know I am really shocked that you would sell this machine as top of the line. I am not sure what Maytag will do, but I thought I would give you a chance to make this right. I have attached pictures of the machines installed and pictures of the model number plates. I have faith that Maytag will step up. My wife said this was a waste of time. The ball is in your court Maytag. (Come on Maytag let me win this one.) - Just a man and his dirty clothes.

Buyer Beware! This is by far the WORST washing machine (Maytag Bravo) I have ever owned! The complaints are almost too numerous to list. Among them: Noise level is atrocious, water level is always low and cannot be adjusted, suds do not wash off, clothes do not come clean and get beaten up, takes an hour plus to do a load of laundry, frequently comes unbalanced, do not feel I can leave the house with this running, service calls have provided no fix, Maytag does not care. Do not buy! Saving my pennies to buy a different brand, will never touch a Maytag product again, Surprised there is not a Class Action lawsuit pending. When there is, I'll be right on board.

In October 2016 I purchased a New Maytag washer (Model# MVWC565FWO) from LOWE'S. I bought an extended 5 year warranty with it as well. I have my invalid, totally incapacitated Sister living with me. The situation requires several loads of washing each day due to her conditions. TWO WEEKS after starting to use it we began having issues with the washer. It would stop in the cycle, lights flashing, only way to restart is to unplug it, move control from wash cycles setting to drain and spin... then within the next 3-4 loads it would do it again. Sometimes it sat for awhile I would smell like an "electronics Odor" getting hot... I called Lowe's. They replaced it. Approximately 3 weeks later the NEW washer began doing the SAME THING...

Lowe's would not replace it with a different Model or brand... only send a repairman out. Long story short, he has been here 4 times, replaced the "Computer Control" with NO IMPROVEMENT!!! NOW Lowe's is sending him out again and saying that if this doesn't fix the problem they will refund my money... My problem with it all is this... IF MAYTAG is having these type issues, WHY PRAY TELL, has a recall or solution been found and passed on to the repair folks??? I bought this Maytag due to #1 Reputation, #2 It was "Assembled" in the USA, NOT South Korea like the Samsung with recalls... Now all this is going on. I WANT A WASHING MACHINE THAT WORKS RIGHT!!! This is totally unacceptable and totally uncalled for. WHY could these Gov't agencies and Manufacturers not LEAVE the washers alone? Computer technology... PLTTT. The old timers controls gave no problem in over 40 years of using them. Now this crap.

I have a Maytag Bravos washer bought 6 years ago. Recently, it started giving trouble by stopping at spin stage. I contacted a local service company and they immediately told me even without looking at machine, that it is a control board problem and will cost a lot to repair and suggested to buy some other company washer instead of repairing. They told it is the third similar complaint this week. But I contacted Maytag and they suggested their factory authorized technician who could not correctly locate the problem but charged for the visit. Later he also came to the same conclusion. Thus my previous washer from another company lasted for more than 20 years (Still in working condition), this washer required a service with a cost same as its price!!!

Purchased this Calypso machine as a second machine for my ranch to handle really dirty clothes. Purchased from Sears Outlet as a refurb machine would be fine for the purpose. Machine was alleged to work by Sears. Paid several hundred for the machine, brought it home, and voila it does not work. New hoses, ran all the checks, and will not fill. Called Sears and, despite the statements of the manager, was told that I have to have a 3 day old machine repaired and not replaced. This POS did not even work out of the box. Years ago I had a Calypso which is now a flower pot. Junk, Junk, Junk. NEVER buy anything from Maytag or Whirlpool.

We are now empty nesters and bought a better machine, for more money with stainless inner drum and energy efficiency. Many of the settings are not manual and give you fewer choices. The Maytag Bravos XL 850 Washer lasted just 4 years, and then started sounding like an Airplane, LOUD Airplane starting up as it went into spin cycles.

According to the repairman and the parts diagnostics online, it would be about $400 in parts and $200 in labor and is NOT COVERED in Warranty. Yes $600 of repairs after 4 years.. Not doing it. They say the inner drum is covered, (what goes wrong with a stainless inner drum really) but the bearings, seal and outer drum is NOT covered. So don't bother with extra years of warranty. Like Ron Paul said, "we have toilets that don't flush and washers that don't wash thank you environmentalists." No agitators I suppose were to reduce energy too. Well our cloths seldom smelled fresh and we were careful not to put in too much soap because heaven knows, that is the first thing a dishwasher or washer tech will tell you.. IT'S YOUR FAULT.. You used two tablespoons instead of one. This is all BS.

We just bought a GE for 35% less money, has manual dials, has PREsoak settings in 15 minute increments, has an agitator, has dials that let you set whatever levels you want and not preelectronic programmed. When it breaks, We won't call a repair man. We will fill the frigging Landfills with more of this crap so I hope you environmentalist are happy. We used to get 20 years or more out of our appliances. I hope they are proud of their work. I think Donald might say, for every two environmentalist washers we throw away, we need to bring back machines that will last that with both wash clothes CLEAN, and have replaceable affordable parts.

I purchased the Top Loading Maytag Washer and have had nothing but an awful experience with this washer. The dark clothes come out with soap on them. I then need to take a wet towel to wipe out the soap stains. I have had a repairman in 2 times so far and there is nothing he can do to fix it. Maytag said I must wash all the towels with towels, all jeans with jeans, roll clothes into a loose ball before putting in machine, use the extra rinse cycle and the longest wash cycle and do not load clothes more than 5-6 inches high in the tub plus 7 other things I must do to get a clean load and none of those things have worked yet. If the salesperson would have told me all this, I never would have purchased a Maytag and nor should you!

Bravos XL washing machine is the worst washer I have ever used. IT DOESN'T GET THE CLOTHES CLEAN! There is not enough water when filling up, and you can't control it. I put a load of dog blankets in the washer and at the end, they were in the same order as I put them in; they hadn't moved! All the stains were still there and there was soap scum everywhere. Also, while I appreciate a large drum, it is so large that I can't even reach down to get the clothes on the bottom, I have to use a stick to get them up. I am so irritated that I spent $1636 for the washer and dryer (dryer works fine but same trouble with the huge drum). I got mine from Sears online after checking the Consumer Reports which put it in the top 5 washers!!! Don't buy this washer. Waste of money. Will probably just have to throw it out and it's brand new.

Bravos washer purchased Sept. 2016. I purchased the Maytag washer based on experience and reputation. I am so disappointed in this washer. I have had the control board replaced after only 3 months and it vibrates, shakes and is very noisy. It does not fill with enough water and the clothes are tangled at the end of the wash. I will never buy another Maytag.

Bought the top load water saving washer 3 years ago and paid around $500 dollars for it. It will not operate correctly. I always thought Maytag was the best!! My main complaint is I cannot get no one on the phone to ask questions about what might be wrong with it!! Now I'm angry, it's like you buy it, it's yours, we aren't worried about you after that!! I am on a fixed income and no one cares!! I'll never buy anything manufactured by Maytag ever again!!

I have never been so disappointed in purchasing an appliance for my home. The Maytag Bravo XL large capacity top loader, has never worked properly, and I have many ruined pieces of clothing. Although it has a very large capacity, the water barely fills to a 1/4, and clothes are sticking out of the water, while they are supposed to be submerged/being washed IN the water. Clothes come out of the washer smelling foul. WORST WASHING MACHINE EVER.

Purchased this washer (Maytag Washer Model MVWC565FWO) from Lowe's on Nov 11, 2016. This is the worst washer I have ever had in my life and it will be out of my home soon. It is so loud when we first used it even my dog sat there and barked at it. I tell me people it sounds like a rocket launching from Cape Canaveral. The clothes come out all twisted and hence when dried are all wrinkled. It does not give me the option to control the water level. On the auto level it barely puts enough water to cover the clothes. On the deep water wash same thing not enough water to wash the clothes properly.

The soak cycle is the worst. It soaks for only 20 minutes and then dispels the water... if I turn it off it still dispels the water. If I want to soak things I also emailed Maytag one week after I purchased this and guess what no response whatsoever from them. Overnight I have to unplug it from the wall. I am so upset over this washer it has to go. Stay away from this model. Guess the Maytag man died. I say stay away from this model.

Bought this Bravo washer from a Sears Outlet Store. Had trouble the first 2 weeks and did all the troubleshooting to no avail. Just when I was ready to return it to the store I decided to try one more thing. The guys who hooked it up had reversed the water hoses - cold was hooked up to the hot intake, and hot water was hooked up to the cold intake. Took all of 5 minutes to switch the hoses to the correct intake and the machine works like a charm. MAKE SURE THE WATER IS HOOKED UP CORRECTLY.

First let me say I have used Maytag products for 46 years. A little over a year ago bought a new Maytag Centennial Washer (Model MVWC555DW) for a cousin which was responsible to looking after as he had been brain damaged since birth. Needless to say when I started having trouble with clothes not washing and having to bring to my home and wash was not satisfactory. This machine never worked right but until after the 1 year warranty could get by. Needless to say I will never buy another Maytag appliance but now have a Maytag washer/dryer, stove and dishwasher in my home. Maytag is Not the quality that is use to be. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS MACHINE AND ALSO UNDERSTAND FROM LOWE'S THEY HAVE HAD A LOT OF TROUBLE WITH THIS MODEL.

One month after warranty we had our first issue which cost us $380. Kinda my fault I was told by repair guy... My bra underwire came out during wash and destroyed the part we had to replace. Then a year later during spin cycle it sounds like an airplane taking off for about 10 minutes. It's so loud we can't even hear our TV! So guessing its bearing's gone bad now? Which is a very difficult part to replace. And pricey. So guessing a new washer is in our future.

We previously owned a Maytag washer and had it for 15 years and it still worked fine, we just wanted to upgrade. Big mistake! I wouldn't wish this washer on my enemies. I think the repair guys sets it to mess up when they do this "reset" thingy. Lol. Cause within a month of the renewed warranty we purchased was expired is when the 2nd issue began. I think the older washer are better because all this newer technology stuff is crap!! My advice do not buy Maytag Bravos series washer unless you've got lots of cash for repairs!!

We like the Maytag as we had one of these for 25 years before this one. So I guess with no breakdowns it does not owe us anything. This new one is much noisier but they tell us all the machines are this way now unless you buy a expensive one.

Same problems as everyone else. Water not soaking the clothes, questionable load capacity, shaky (we have engineers in the house so there is no way they did not look for floor evenness as the stores/Maytag will tell you that you may not have done, complete bs) etc. It's absolutely horrible that we're all now stuck with such a terrible machine. I really wish I had read these reviews before (I google'd the machine earlier but got generic stuff and didn't stumble upon these reviews until much later). Maytag should take responsibility on this as retail stores do not take back appliances unless they are defective. The Bravos is definitely a defective product from the get-go though.

The washer is not cleaning the laundry. It's a HE my butt. It's been looked at and "fixed" numerous times. It sits too long and it doesn't really agitate the laundry at all. Laundry is in the exact position when you loaded it when it's done. It's the worst washer ever! I can clean the laundry better in the sink!

So far after 5 calls and over two hours spent on calls IMPOSSIBLE to get an answer from Maytag about the correct fill levels of detergent. Consumer support simply do not know and refuse to direct me to anyone or have anyone call that does know answer. WHY SO IMPORTANT? Either you do not get clothes clean OR you damage machine and leave residue on clothes! Neither is acceptable. Using the fill level indicator on Bravos XL dispenser is in direct contradiction to any recommended levels on lids of high efficiency detergent manufacturers like Tide. Per Maytag manual only fill detergent to max fill LINE which is literally about two or three tablespoons of detergent. The lowest possible quantity of Tide per the lines on lid even for smallest load is two or three times the recommended fill level on the dispenser.

No one has to be an engineer to know two tablespoons of HE detergent in dispense is going to do same effective cleaning for one shirt or towel as it will with a queen size comforter or very large full capacity load. CORRECT ANSWER DETERMINES IF YOU DAMAGE WASHER OR IF YOU HAVE DIRTY CLOTHES. Googling online there is also no answer. Such a critical answer for Maytag washer to work and clean clothes that is simply not available and documentation is wrong is a huge concern about the viability of this machine and worse their support. Our machine is less than two months old but is obviously over-engineered to the point of just being silly. Tip to Maytag: start selling washboards. More energy efficient, more green except for red and blue bruised knuckles, uses one tenth as much water and users do not need to spend their nest egg savings to buy.

Not the first but will be the last Maytag product we will buy. Name may be same but the company is definitely not the company that used to enjoy that name with pride. SUMMARY: Maytag is adamant about using the correct amount of HE detergent OR damage and bad performance by washer and dirty clothes with a detergent residue. With all our best efforts we cannot get what that quantity of detergents is supposed to be. The user manual at best has ambiguous answer. The manual suggest horizontal measure of detergent in tray to max fill level which cannot be right. IF you instead use a vertical measure of how high detergent level comes up to the max fill line the quantity is radically different. It says dispenser holds 3 oz which would be beyond max fill level but nowhere near a vertical fill level.

We've had this washing machine for almost two years and it's the worst piece of crap waste of money of any appliance I own. We bought it on the basis that it's efficient and with the Maytag name you can't go wrong, right? WRONG. I'll never buy another Maytag machine again as long as I live. The issue is that almost every wash of dark clothes comes out with soap scum on almost everything. This is after numerous adjustments and reading the instructions over and over, and using minimal good quality liquid laundry soap and even running an extra rinse and trying different cycles like the Heavy Duty wash. Sometimes the scum works its way out in the dryer, but often I have to run the items through another cycle with no soap. It's extremely frustrating to pay top dollar for a machine that works so very badly.

Maytag washer Bravos MCT. Let me tell you your guidelines do not help at all. Would someone please tell me how to get my laundry clean when it doesn't even get all the clothes wet? Looks like I'll have to go to the laundromat at least I can get my clothes wet. You should be ashamed to put out such an inferior product. Worst washer ever.

We purchased a Maytag front load washing machine and dryer about 5 years ago. The front load washer is completely full of mold even though I have always followed the directions of wiping it out after each wash, leaving the door cracked, washing the machine with Affresh and even trying bleach and vinegar rinses. When I called customer service they refused to do anything about it. Then the dryer stopped working after 5 years and we had to get it serviced. Now, the door has completely come apart, as in every little piece has come off the handle and surrounding door frame. I have never seen anything like this on the oldest of machines and I have taken care of these appliances. I will never buy another Maytag...

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Maytag has been inside American homes for over 100 years and continues to provide innovative technology and great customer service.  The company is especially famous for its Maytag Man, a symbol of the company's dependability and dedication to service. Maytag continues to build success, with nearly five billion dollars in revenue generated in 2014. Their washers and dryers are available as top loading or front loading and can be configured to fit your laundry room’s space. Maytag’s innovative technology ensures your clothes get just the right amount of clean and just the right amount of dry, all while saving you time and money.

• Energy Star qualified: All of Maytag’s washers and dryers are Energy Star qualified, meaning they are energy efficient and will save you money compared with a machine that is not Energy Star qualified.
  • Size capacity: All of the front loading and top loading models range from medium to extra large capacities, so you can buy one that works best for you based on the size of your average laundry load.
  • Quiet: Maytag washers and dryers are quiet, so you can put them anywhere in your house, including closets and near bedrooms, without worrying about noise.
  • Advanced Moisture Sensing: Maytag’s Advanced Moisture Sensing makes sure every article of clothing gets dry, from socks to towels. The sensor strips located inside the dryer measure moisture levels around the fabric of the clothes in the dryer. At the same time, inlet sensors determine air temperatures to stop the load at the appropriate time.
  • Best for Value hunters, families, individuals and customers who want a dependable brand.

Compare Washers and Dryers