1.32/5
Based on 1,672 ratings submitted in the last year

Need a washer and dryer?

2800 Maytag Washers & Dryers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Worst customer service ever. I ordered my washer and dryer from home depot 2 weeks before a possible delivery day. The day before delivery I receive a call that they don't have them and I must wait 1 more week. After 3 phone calls I am promised a credit to my account. A week after delivery I am wondering where my credit I was promised is so I call. I'm told the most I can be given is $100. I state that I feel my time is worth more than that. A supervisor is brought in and I'm told we will get $150 credit. Then put on hold. She reviews account (why didn't you do this first) and told because we didn't call within 48 hrs of delivery the most they can give us is $75.

So I call back very frustrated. Then I'm told it's our word against theirs that we were offered that?!? What?!? Well I am sure you record conversations and that's total BS. I explained how you can't offer something then take it back. I was told the week before I was getting a credit and my account already notated. No one said, "Call within 48 hrs to dispute again to get it." Why would I have to I mean seriously.

So after a total of at least 2hrs on the phone before and after delivery I am forced to settle with $75. I feel very unappreciated. I purchased and paid for $1633 worth of appliances that were a week later than promised. Called less than 24 hrs before expected delivery and told they don't even have them. Then told I'm getting a credit of $150 to be told sorry now just $75. The lady proceeds to say that she doesn't think it was because of the phone call not being made. What? Are you serious. WELL THAT WAS THE LAME EXCUSE I WAS GIVEN SO I COULD CARE LESS IF IT WASNT THE REAL REASON. THAT JUST MEANS I WAS LIED TO. I promise I will never buy Maytag Whirlpool again. One customer may not mean much to you but good customer service means everything to me.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Took delivery of this machine 9/24/2016. Started having problems several weeks ago. Repairman came out today and said it needed a new board $475. He said not worth repairing. Can buy new one for about $100 more. Said issue could be the fact that it is in a non climate controlled room. Beware when purchasing this machine. Did not expect to have to replace in just over 2 years. Will not be purchasing another Maytag!

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I have had a number of Maytag washing machines in my life and have never disliked a machine as much as the last one I purchased! The bleach dispenser is awful and any bleach that happens to land on the outer rim has ruined many clothes. I took them to my dealer to show him the ruined clothes and was told bleach does not evaporate do must be wiped off each time. With no soap dispenser I find I have to put the soap in first and keep trying to fill the machine some before I add the clothes. This takes forever but if don't do this my clothes are stained. I purchased this machine on April 11, 2017 and can not afford to go buy another washer at this time. The Dealer can not help me and when I called Maytag they were not interested! Buyer beware!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Well bought this washer a little over 1.5 years ago in 2017. The display started going haywire, flashing, going on and off and would only go to the normal setting, most of the time. Called Maytag and had service come out and Maytag would cover parts and labor. Turned out the control panel went bad. About a week later found out today part was still back ordered and not available with no ETA. So was told Maytag would replace the unit. So until I find out whether or not they will actually replace it, I'm giving one star. Been holding for customer service for over 35 minutes now to verify what I was told. It's a shame because this washer was given a good review. It is a front loader.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

We bought a top load washer and the matching dryer. A thermal switch (I think it’s called) blew in the dryer at about two years. Luckily my husband is an electrician, so he took care of that. WASHER-A little after 2 years the plastic “driver hub” stripped And the agitator has stopped working, the door is having trouble locking and it won’t spin fast enough to get the water out of the clothes. I’ve ordered a new “driver hub” for $53! It is a cheap plastic part. Probably 1 cent to make in China. Robbery. This will hopefully resolve all 3 issues I’m having with the washer. They even charged me 9.99 shipping. $2000 later Maytag/Whirlpool should treat their customers like royalty. I will never ever buy another Maytag or other brands associated with Whirlpool ever again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maytag Washers & Dryers?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

We purchased a high capacity washer (MVWB835DW), along with the matching dryer, two years ago from Lowe's. This review is not about Lowes. They did the best they could to make things right. The review is about the Maytag washer (made and serviced by WhirIpool). It has been nothing short of a debacle. The first two washers did not work and had to be replaced. The third and current washer has been repaired three times, including the drum and motor. We have been without the use of the washer for over a week each time while waiting for parts and Whirlpool to approve the repair.

The washer is not high capacity as advertised. Filling the drum even half way results in the washer stopping mid cycle whereupon we have to adjust the contents back into balance. In addition, the machine leaves a lint residue on dark clothing that has to be wiped off by hand. We have asked Maytag/Whirlpool to replace the machine but they say it has to fail for the same issue four times in order to qualify for replacement. We are done and will purchase another washer from a different manufacturer. It’s easy to understand why Samsung and LG have become such a dominate force in the laundry sector. Whirlpool/Maytag does not care about you or the problems with their product. Buyer beware!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Before you purchase a Maytag washing machine...from anywhere (I got mine at Home Depot), think again. This "machine" doesn't wash clothes, it doesn't rinse clothing. What it does is takes forever to fill up the tub then it doesn't even come close to filling it to where all the clothing is covered for rinsing or washing, then it just stops and sits there for a few minutes (??) and then it proceeds to empty the tub and you're supposed to feel like your clothes were cleaned.

Not in a million years will your clothing get cleaned in a Maytag washing machine. You've been warned...don't waste your money. Go to a used appliance shop, but the best one they have that does NOT have the Govt. regs built into it, and be happy you saved as much money and did NOT have to go through all the frustration and hassle everyone else has that bought a new Maytag washing machine.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

If you have a second floor laundry room, DO NOT, and I repeat, DO NOT acquire this washing machine!!! The Bravo MCT model washer is TOO loud (during spinning cycle), and for some reason, the clothes come out all tangled up. Some cycles are a waste of a cycle, and most cycles take a bit longer than my former washer. I miss the cycle choices I used to have on my former GE Profile washer (GE does not make that model anymore hence my changing brands). For the most part, clothes come out clean; that's why I give it a two-star rating instead of one. The dryer: Must dry every load in "low heat" so it doesn't come out "extra crispy" and wrinkled up. Although I generally have to run a second drying cycle, low heat does work great and the clothes come out ready to be folded/put away.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

Stay away from Maytag Bravo washer. We bought one a year ago and fought with them this whole year. It leaves lots lint on clothes. We've had 2 technicians here 4 times. Now they finally said we can replace but will only get a prorated credit even though it's been junk since day one and we contacted them immediately. If we would've known they wouldn't stand by their warranty we would've hauled it back to store for full refund. They dragged us along a year and now warranty is no good but they will prorate. Not fair at all.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I wish I had found this website before I bought my new Maytag washer and dryer from Home Depot on March 7, 2018. I replaced a 30 year old Maytag washer that I should have kept. I wash two loads a week so has not been used that much and now it will not drain. I tried everything, canceled the cycle out, checked the circuit breaker, unplugged it, removed the clothing, bucketed out the excess water, tried the drain and spin cycle, etc. Just will not drain or spin. Repairman is coming next week... Still under first year warranty but if it is not the “fault” of Maytag I was told there will be a $90+ minimum service charge.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

We purchased a Maytag 4.2-cu ft High Efficiency Top Load Washer from Lowe's. The pump went out within 6 weeks of purchase. Maytag could not get a technician to come to our area to fix the washer. They finally told me they would give me $150.00 for labor if I found someone to fix it. We ended up taking it to a Maytag certified repair shop. It cost us a $99.00 service fee. They ordered a new pump from Maytag, part cost 137.46. I called to get a reimbursement from Maytag and they denied my claim. Their reason I was told was because I didn't call the part in myself. I don't understand why they didn't even reimburse the $99.00. The washer was a lemon and Maytag did not honor their offer, nor the warranty. Very time consuming and bad experience.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Maytag won't fix new washer. Service person came 3X, but it still won't go to rinse cycle. Last 2X Maytag said service scheduled, but no one showed. MT mgr said can't help & to just keep calling back.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I spoke to Destiny today at the Resolution Center, she knew one phrase, 'it's a low usage washer'. I would reply, '3 inches of water in a drum does not wash my family's clothes. Every load is covered in white soap specks, whether powder, liquid or pods are used.' Again, I'd hear, 'its a lower usage washer'. Ok, I got it.

The machine has been cleaned with Affresh.

This washer cannot clean a single shirt let alone a full load of wash. Maytag (actually made by Whirlpool) should be ashamed to produce such a shoddy product and expect to the consumer to keep paying for repairs. From reading the reviews on a couple of websites, consumers have to keep repairing this washer time and time again. Destiny told me she would send a technician out at my expense. The machine will be in the landfill on Saturday. Never again Maytag/Whirlpool.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Yesterday I was using my washer (small load of clothes), I was with my baby in the laundry room when suddenly there was a horrible noise and the door of the washer opened, he hit my back, something fatal could have happened. I do not know how it happened but a piece of concrete was inside the drum. I do not want to imagine what would have happened if that piece came out and hurt my baby. I spoke to the company and explained what had happened to me, but they do not want to be responsible for what happened because the washer is in Tijuana (border with San Diego), I bought the washer in Pirch San Diego California in 2015. Maytag United States is responsible for this defect. Don't buy this model:mhw8100dc extra large capacity washer with steam and powerwash® system-4.5 cu. Ft.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

We purchased this washer 3/25/15 for $873.77, we also got the matching dryer, for the same amount. This washer, never washed good, it is simply a bad design, I don't know, what type of mind altering products the designer was on at the time, but it must of been some good stuff, since all brands jumped on the wagon. This is a POS, I have contacted Maytag, and they just ignore me. We need a class action lawsuit against them, they think they can take our money, and laugh at us.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

We bought a Maytag Bravos XL MCT Washer from Lowe's in Oct of 2016. We had cycle issues with it in Sept of 2018 and called the Appliance Repair Service. IT was determined that the Electronic Control board and UIC was bad and needed to be replaced. Estimated cost - +$700.00. We bought Maytag because we thought it was dependable. Not so. Less than two years of use and repairs are more than we paid for machine ($639.00). Receipt would not upload.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

This product was purchased in March. In September, the agitator broke off. That's a new one on me with a washer. Every other one I've bought tended to last 10 years or so, then something like a motor wore out. It was an obvious design flaw on a topheavy agitator held on by a flimsy plastic sleeve. To make matters worse, their warranty service seems mostly geared to selling extended warranties, necessitated by the poor quality and bad design of their products. So, for a mere $182, I can have it covered for the next six or seven times the agitator breaks. No thanks, I'll figure out how to fix it myself when it's no longer under warranty, or just cut my losses by buying another machine, and never another Maytag or Whirlpool product. I had a similar experience with a Whirlpool refrigerator purchased in April 2017, which had a defective module that went fortunately just before it was out of warranty.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Bought a Maytag HD top load washing 11/4/17. Within the first month the machine began to make a loud squealing noise during the wash cycle. A repairman came out 2 times before finally replacing the gearbox and tub. Within the last month or so the problem began again, another repairman came out twice, and once again, had to replace the gearbox and tub. When he left I ran a load and the machine sounded like a war was occurring inside of it. Very loud banging and grinding... heck I was wishing for just the squealing back! Maytag refuses to replace the machine and just keeps sending out repair people. The Maytag name once stood for quality but that was long ago.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Just replaced a washer that lasted over 7 years thru 3 renters with the Bravos top loading washer. There is nothing efficient about a cycle to take 73 mins to wash 20 articles of clothing (t-shirts, socks and underwear). The machine don't wash the top of the load. Also the deep clean feature isn't deep cleaning. I recorded a video of 20 mins of the machine not washing properly before going into rinse cycle. If this item don't produce refunds of the amount of water wasted RE-WASHING and electricity because it doesn't clean on first wash, then it's time for Maytag to pay my utilities. For the money spent on the machine, going to the laundromat every other week with 1 roll of quarters each trip comes to be I can wash for 4 years and will outlast the longevity of the machine before it breaks! Also bulky mode is how you get more water in the machine but will take 63 mins to wash.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Maytag will not fix 2 major issues with new $700 Maytag dryer bought from Home Depot who takes no responsibility. They won't return it. Maytag won't replace defective dryer unless technician from totem appliances cannot fix problem. The tech ordered a control board and timer. Only installed the timer. He did not fix 2 issues. Dryer never stops at OFF. Dryer leaves damp spots on any clothing whether small or medium large load. Was told by Maytag if damp spots then it's OUR problem... our ventilation. No it is your sensor. Our model is ymedc465hwo serial m820. 07331. Bought in late Oct. 2018. Two supervisors later we are being sent to tech or tech company and played games with. All I know is Maytag sells defective dryers then won't replace them or fix main issue.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Maytag MVWB835DW was less than 2 years old (purchased 1-14-16) when it began to fail. Maytag sent repairman out, he declared it beyond repair. Machine locks, washes and adds more and more minutes and can't turn it off without unplugging 5-10+ times... sometime takes a week to get clothes out of machine because of locking itself. I have extended warranty and yet when I try to contact Maytag, to have them honor this, there is eternal wait on phone, online, no help whatsoever. I read via Consumer Affairs that there are almost 3,000 reviews on this specific machine being a problem yet amazingly the "Maytag man never responds!" I have spent many many hours with no resolution. Amazon says so many reviews have been written about this, that they are unable to take my review because of excessive reviewing.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I just purchased this Maytag Commercial Technology Washer and Dryer on August 31st, 2018 and We hooked it up today Sept 4th 2018. I put a small load of towels in this machine and it said it would take an hour and thirty seven minutes to wash. I added my detergent and pressed all of the necessary buttons and started the load. the machine started spinning and testing and adjusting. I waited to hear the water start to come into the washer but nothing. I then checked my water lines thinking they are not on but they were. Through the smokey glass on the washing machine, I could see water dripping as if it is hooked up to a slow drip IV Machine.

I am taking this thing back ASAP!!! First thing in the morning on Sept 5th 2018 I do not need to call Maytag Customer Service because they know it is a piece of junk, so I do not need to waste a moment with this crap on my property. I see Maytag does not believe in a QUALITY ASSURANCE DEPARTMENT because that department would put a stamp of approval on this Junk for distribution.

No Washing machine should take more than 30 minutes (40 mins max) to wash no clothes. I will have to invest in an old school scrub board and rocks, then I can understand an hour and thirty minutes worth of wash time. I have set the timer on my phone when I started this load and My towels have been in the washer for an hour so far and I can still hear the slow IV DRIP OF WATER going. I just checked the machine and the digital reading is saying it has an hour and thirty three minutes to go. there is no water in the tub of this washing machine. The towels are wet from the IV drip and the machine is now pretending to agitate the dirty towels but it is only going in one direction. It is truly a sad state of affairs, your hard earned money gets you nothing but junk and a runaround.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

This is an awful product. I bought this product from Best Buy at the beginning of August 2018, and can no longer return it because it’s past their 14 day return policy. This washer does not wash clothes well. No matter what setting it’s on, clothes come out looking dirtier than prior to washing. Maytag should do what is right and refund customers for this worthless purchase.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I purchased this Maytag Bravos XL Washing Machine at Lowe's in California, MD for about $800 on April 8, 2018. What a disappointment for a Made in America product! BUYER BEWARE - DO NOT BUY! I agree 100% with the reviews and comments. This washing machine is a "PIECE OF JUNK"! It does not clean clothes! It does not provide enough water to get all clothes wet! All it does is shake the clothes back and forth and stays in the same order you put the clothes in. I agree with one of the reviews that "it does nothing but crumple/wad the middle items together and rub them". And the clothes are DIRTY!! I will be calling Maytag 1-800-344-1274 and demand for my money back!! Lowe's should STOP selling this product!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I have bought a new Home Depot Maytag Impeller HE washer. After 6 repeat washings of 2 items that are lightweight dark brown it was obvious after drying they had soap and lint and lot hairs on it. I reached with no he detergent. The last 4 times the water level filled to 1" depth even for high level water setting to extra rinse or power wash settings. I went to Home Depot and they suggested I call Maytag repair center on Tuesday after the labor day holiday to have them check it out. I will also call the supervisor at Home Depot as I do not feel paying $600 for a faulty machine is acceptable.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I just bought this piece of junk... Like everyone else I guess I didn't do enough research! I have had this washer for less than 3 weeks and just like everyone else I am so disappointed in how it tries to wash without water! I too have tried different settings. I had to wash a load 3 times... pausing it while trying to get the rest of the items wet. It's ridiculous... of course now to try and see if I can return it! Yah right... Home Depot does not have a good return policy and I'm afraid I will be out 800+ with this washer. This is ridiculous! It really is.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

We have a 2 year old Maytag washer and dryer. 10 year warranty may I add. Well, we get 2 frantic calls that say, “They heard an explosion and the bottom of the house is flooded.” An explosion so violent that it shook our 3 story house and sounded like a bomb went off. Our washer and dryer are on the main floor. When we get there we found the washer top was dented so bad that it dented the bottom of the dryer that sat on top of it - blew the dryer door open! Blew the front of the detergent compartment and blew the side apart! Scared my mother and father in law who lives downstairs and who is bound to a wheelchair! Not to mention the fact that it flooded the basement and ruined the ceiling and Maytag says they will replace the washer!

Are you serious? Who wants another washer which may or may not explode! What about the damage to my house! This just happened a couple of hours ago! We are very ticked off and not happy with "We will replace the washer!" Bad, bad business. This is not where it ends! I want my house repaired and won’t settle for anything less! Shame on you Maytag for putting profit above quality! Consumers beware!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

We had a Fisher & Paykel Washer that lasted 14 years. This Maytag Bravos XL washer has been the worst machine I have ever owned. The clothes come out dirtier than ever. In todays world all technology is becoming disposable, Where is the Maytag repairman now? I have tried all of the settings, to have a decent wash. I am ready to throw this out. Lowe's you need to do something about this. It may be made in America but now we know why Japanese and Korean electronics just work! Damaged Clothes/Clothes not being washed thoroughly enough are my biggest pet peeves with this washing machine.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Washer needs to be recalled and also you keep always replacing the spin bucket all the time and bolt due to it does not want to stay in place at all. Also does not stay clean or is like they say uses less water at all. Uses more water than anything.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Bought in July 2015, brand new from Lowe’s or Sears. When working to its full potential it never cleaned clothing very well, had no designated spot for detergent or softener, just bleach. Just last 3 years and it’s a piece of crap that has to be replaced. Going to argue with the company to tomorrow to get them to replace the broken transmission which may or may not be considered part of the drive motor - all **. This is a very expensive machine that didn’t last a month beyond 3 years! The 10 year warranty covers the 2 most rugged parts of any washer... the agitator never truly cleaned my clothes and now it is fused to the wash basket and cannot even be replaced without being chiseled off. Worst machine, purchase, and brand ever???

Maytag Washers & Dryers expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Maytag has been inside American homes for over 100 years and continues to provide innovative technology and great customer service.  The company is especially famous for its Maytag Man, a symbol of the company's dependability and dedication to service. Maytag continues to build success, with nearly five billion dollars in revenue generated in 2014. Their washers and dryers are available as top loading or front loading and can be configured to fit your laundry room’s space. Maytag’s innovative technology ensures your clothes get just the right amount of clean and just the right amount of dry, all while saving you time and money.

• Energy Star qualified: All of Maytag’s washers and dryers are Energy Star qualified, meaning they are energy efficient and will save you money compared with a machine that is not Energy Star qualified.

• Size capacity: All of the front loading and top loading models range from medium to extra large capacities, so you can buy one that works best for you based on the size of your average laundry load.

• Quiet: Maytag washers and dryers are quiet, so you can put them anywhere in your house, including closets and near bedrooms, without worrying about noise.

• Advanced Moisture Sensing: Maytag’s Advanced Moisture Sensing makes sure every article of clothing gets dry, from socks to towels. The sensor strips located inside the dryer measure moisture levels around the fabric of the clothes in the dryer. At the same time, inlet sensors determine air temperatures to stop the load at the appropriate time.

• Best for: Value hunters, families, individuals and customers who want a dependable brand.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs