1.32/5
Based on 1,715 ratings submitted in the last year

Need a washer and dryer?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2842 Maytag Washers & Dryers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I bought a Maytag Centennial HD washer and dryer. I have had no issues with the dryer but the washer is absolutely junk. I’ve had it 5 months and this is the second time it’s stopped spinning and I’m dipping my wet clothes out. Not only does it cost hundreds to fix it, it doesn’t wash well AT ALL. Your clothes still come out with deodorant stains and spots. It’s a complete waste of money and time. Run as fast and as far away from this worthless machine as possible.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

The functionality of this machine is so awful. I had the dealer replace it only to find that the awful noises that the machine makes, the fact that the clothes don’t get covered by the water and the clothes are so knotted after the spin cycle you have to untie them is normal for this awful appliance. In the sensing stage the machine groans like a laboring motor around 30 times, then stops with a jolt. My machine is next to the bedrooms and the noise wakes people up. Even in the “deep water” setting, the clothes are not covered by the water. The wash cycle is short and noisy and the spin cycle goes on forever. In the end I have to untie the legs of pants. Whoever designed this machine should be ashamed of herself or himself. Shame on Maytag.

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

The only reason I am giving 2 stars is because I didn't actually spend my hard earned money buying these machines, they came with our house purchase. At first I was excited to have a "good quality" washer/dryer... Now I understand why the previous owners left them behind. My complaints are like most of the others on here - takes way too long to do a load because of the stupid water sensor, it doesn't wash loads evenly so everything on top hardly gets wet and washed properly, lint all over our clothes, powder residue left behind even though I set it to 2 rinses, a lot of settings but missing useful ones like quick wash... just all around disappointing. At least one good thing has come out of this and we will not be buying Maytag for our new laundry room. Saying that I have also read so many bad/worrying reviews about Samsung and LG - can't any company make good, reliable, lasting products and stand behind a warranty anymore?!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Bought the Maytag high efficiency washing machine with the auto-sensing and deep water wash feature. It took some getting use to because of all the washing choices and different noises it makes. Auto-sensing seems to use very little water which is strange but clothes seem to come out clean. Best bet for me is like the old school way and use deep water wash and "light" load which is shorter and that's most efficient power wise but will use more water which is fine by me. Also bought the matching dryer and that's a 5 star review. Excellent product.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Bought this machine summer of 2018 when my old washer went out. This machine is impressive looking but that’s about it. Clothes don’t get clean. Half the time they don’t even get wet! I’ve had to wash sheets two or three times to get them clean and wet. When washing jeans there is always lint and white debris on them when the wash cycle is done. I’ve tried all different settings, I’ve tried different detergents always the same problem. Wish I’d never laid eyes on this model at Lowe’s last summer. Gotta say, worst purchase of an appliance I have ever made. Don’t waste your hard earned money on this piece of junk!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maytag Washers & Dryers?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

When we sold our home (to buy a new one), it had a really nice matching set Kenmore front load washer and dryer, which worked fantastic!!! We gave the Kenmore set to someone, since the new home had a brand new Maytag Bravo XL, and I'm regretting it... Our clothes are always full of lint, it does not remove any dirt and God forbid you spill something on your clothes, our white clothes are now yellow, and his work clothes (dress, shirts and pants) are ruined due to the harsh rubbing from the lack of water... I wish I would of done an Internet search on Maytag's Bravo XL before getting rid of our old washer... BUYER BEWARE is all I can say!!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

So the reviews for the Bravos MCT online were pretty decent. We purchased our set from Lowe's. However, the clothes don't turn over. I watched as long as I could (getting frustrated the longer I watched) to see how the clothes were going to get turned over and washed. All they did was get rubbed on the bottom of the pile where those agitator fins are. But they never got a good flipping so that the top of the pile was washed. I only had 4 normal size towels in there. So it isn't like I had too many clothes.

So I called Maytag to tell them what I was observing and the gentlemen explained that it was counter-intuitive technology and that it seems like they won't come clean but he promised me by the time the load was done they would be clean. Yet - they did not come clean! The dirt on the towel was still there on the top of the load with dog hair. NOT TO MENTION SUDS!! I'm so disappointed because the burden is on me to either take this set back or deal with it. Buyer beware - if you look at this machine and ask yourself how in the world will the clothes get clean - you are asking a great question! They don't!!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I purchased a new Maytag washer (Model# MVWC565FWO) from LOWE'S 18 months ago and the paint is bubbling on the inside of the door. Neither Lowe's nor Maytag would do a thing. We have spend many $1000s at Lowe's and considering the replacement cost is only $126 for a new door I can see Lowe's following Sears for their lack of customer service and diplomacy in matters like these.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I purchase the Maytag Bravos washer & dryer set 3 1/2 years ago brand new. I figured being a Maytag it would last for a long time but nope I was wrong??? I will never buy another Maytag product as long as I live and I will tell all my friends and family not to purchase a Maytag product also!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

For years I wanted a top loading Maytag washer. Last year I bought one at the cost of £720 plus VAT. Started using it last July and in November this year it broke down. The company I bought it from said, "Sorry, you're out of our warranty..." Really! Here’s some people who might fix it. Eventually Hotpoint took it on and honored a two year warranty. Since November I’ve had an engineer out twice. Still isn’t working. Won’t replace it because it’s now discontinued, so more parts ordered. Engineer advised me to go buy another washer. Thanks Maytag for totally disappointing me in what I thought would be my perfect washer. I will continue to email etc and hope that someone will help me. No point in phoning because no one listens. MY OPINION - DON'T BUY AMERICAN PRODUCTS IN THE UK AS NO ONE CAN REPAIR THEM PROMPTLY IF AT ALL.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

We bought this brand new washing machine just 6 years ago. Went with a Maytag because they are supposed to “last forever”. Ha! Last weekend it stopped spinning. Water would drain but no spin cycle. Had a recommended repair person come out and he said it was unfixable. The bearings were shot. This is crazy. There are only two of us using this machine how could it be totally unfixable 6 after only 6 years. The average washing machine life is supposed to be 14 years. No more Maytag for us.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Maytag Centennial Impeller HE Washing Machine - The seller left this piece of junk for us. I wondered why because it appeared brand new. After the first washing I knew why. I sure regretted leaving my old set behind. This washing machine won't let you add the amount of water you need. I had to add buckets of water and hope it didn't just empty it out because the sensor controls everything. Twice it just emptied it after I closed the lid and it locked. There is an impeller instead of an agitator. It moves slightly but not enough to move the clothes.

To top it off the spin cycle tears into the clothing and twists and wrings it so hard everything is wrinkled with soap residue remaining even on delicate. Each load takes over an hour and the clothes aren't even clean. It went to the dump after 4 washes. I went on Craigslist and purchased a used Kenmore and am in heaven. No lock, an agitator, 3 water levels, clean clothing, you can open it and add the missing sock, no sensor controlling how you want to do laundry and no more buckets. Don't buy a Maytag. Look at all of the reviews. They aren't exaggerating, they are really that bad. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Just had the repairman here. This machine is computerized so it won’t last. It does not have a setting that lets me do any load of laundry the way I need to do it. I have to use heavy duty to do a load and then it takes 2 hours. When I want to do a load of sweaters on delicate it will not put near enough water in the machine to wash them. The normal cycle does not add enough water to wash, let alone rinse the clothes. I can’t choose the size of the load based on how much I need to wash so I have to do more loads at 2 hours each or do everything on bulky. Whoever came up with all this needs to be fired. I am extremely unhappy with this machine and I have loved Maytag for years. No more.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Has had problems with machine being off-balance and clothes getting clean. 3 years and now the machine is broken. Too costly to get repaired. Warranty only covers very specific things. Have had Maytag's repair person come out and he did not access the problem properly. What a waste of time and money! Says it needs a very expensive part which with labor and parts cost almost as much as machine.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

One time at around yr 2 of our 10 yr warranty the repair guy removed my agitator, spline gone. Couldn’t find one anywhere! After a month of using a laundromat, I called the company in Montreal and they had the new agitator in my post office in 4 days. I am unable to wash anything that puts the Bravo washer out of balance ie: towels. The sides are busting out on the machine!! We have only had it 4 years so far. Not impressed! Does the warranty cover busting out sides? As it is a major part of the structure of the machine.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I purchased a Maytag Washer and Dryer about 3 years ago, they were under warranty for two years. Two years and 10 later the dryer breaks down, repair 310.00, two months later the washer breaks down again, 331.00, while I’m waiting for repair appointment the dryer breaks down, 130.00. Then I’m finally able to do laundry, turn on the washer for the first time since paying 331.00 and IT DOESNT WORK AGAIN, another SEVICE CALL!!! $$$ I'M EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED IN MAYTAG, ESPECIALLY AFTER VIEWING YOUR COMMERCIALS!!!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

The machine runs and runs and runs and still the clothes come out dirty. Clothes are often not even wet all over. The Maytag HE water-saving washer is a terrible Hoax. The dryer also is faulty. It rolls the clothes into a big, undried ball of dirty clothes.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

After seeing all the bad reviews about Maytag I decided to write my review, we purchased a Maytag washer and dryer 1990 when moving into our new home, and we still have the same set. Now it does not have a motherboard which I feel today is the major problem with most appliances. Get away from the motherboards. Turn the machine on and off when it's supposed to, or let it run its Cycles. Don't overfill, because this causes wearing motor parts. The dryer belt wore out on the dryer but that was an easy replacement. I'm a woman of 64 and get it myself. Maytag I hope that you get back to the plain ol' simple washer and dryer because mine is probably going to wear out which I hope not but I would so love to get the same set I got now.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

In the first year, the up shelf has been broken twice. Their service is awful. It took 2 months to be replaced. Second year, the shelf has been broken again. They said They requested me to pay 100 dollars plus tax just for service. NEVER MAYTAG AGAIN.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

We purchased a Maytag brand thinking it would be a quality long lasting machine. Wrong, the washer shakes from day one, We complained to Lowe's, they brought out and installed a second unit, it does the same. The clothes dont get clean, sometimes you can see the blue HE Tide still on the clothes (sheets) after cycle is complete. Junk, waste of money, I'll never buy another Maytag product again. Don't waste your money on a Bravos Maytag top loading HE machine.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Bought this as W/D set brand new from Home Depot. Had been noticing incredible wear and tear on clothes, as things get so tangled up and need to be practically ripped apart before going into dryer. Cycle times are crazy long, up to over an hour in some cases. Doesn’t have a “Speed Wash” cycle. But WORST of all, after less than 3 years, it just stopped draining properly. Tried all the Codes test, etc. Finally called a repairman just to be told repair costs would probably cost more than the machine is worth. $125 to be told we ought to just buy a new washer. Not happy.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I bought the Maytag Bravo XL washer and dryer at Lowe’s on sale spending almost $2000. Loved both of them until the washer stopped with a load of laundry in it. No power to unit. Called for service. Could not provide serial number as locked in washer. Service company able to order parts without the serial number but part put on back order. Washer needs a master board. After 1 week of wet laundry stuck in the washer called store manager at Lowe’s. I contacted Maytag Service and had a rude customer service clerk who finally listened to me after I got angry with her. She contacted the appliance repair company and got the back ordered part sent to the appliance repair company.

We are now 10 days out. Still do not have the part; just talked to appliance repair company supervisor. The appliance repair company supervisor said he would schedule installation as soon as he had the part. It will probably be 14 days when I get the washer fixed. I am dreading opening the washer to get the load out that I will have to throw away. When I called for service at Lowe’s the representative said, "We have had a lot of issues with this." A 2 month old new washer should not have the control board go out. Shame on Maytag.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

The bearings and motor went out in less than 3 years. The warranty good - the dealer I purchased from Siano Appliance gave me credit to purchase another Maytag washer - which I had to purchase an additional warranty for $320. The new Maytag is less than 5 months old - the motor has been replaced and waiting on a tech now to fix it. It would not come on. SO in warranties I have paid over $640 and am still having issues with the new washer. The first time I purchased a warranty for 10 year - when the machine was replaced I had to purchase another warranty for that machine - now if I have to replaced this one that will be an additional $320. IS this legal?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

First I would like to thank the salesman who has worked diligently to solve the problem I am having. The first load of dark clothes I washed came out with what looked like lint on them. It has to be scraped off. Yes I am using HE detergent. Yes I am using the minimum amount recommended by the manufacturer. & yes to all the other questions I have asked. The solution was to wash the dark clothes on power wash with an extra rinse. Very energy efficient! This was NOT the answer so I was given a 1-800 # to call.

After giving all the necessary information & answering all of the questions about detergent etc. the conversation became a little more in depth. Does it happen with dark clothes? Do you dry your clothes outside or in a drier? It was becoming obvious to me that Maytag is aware of this problem. By this point I was even unhappier as no solutions were being offered. Finally after several would you mind holding the line again for just a minute he said he couldn't tell me to do this but some of his "friends" add a cup of vinegar to their wash.

At this point I told him I was sorry I had ever bought this machine. He then said he would have a technician arrange an appointment. He arrived & declared I was using too much detergent even though by then I was using half on the manufacturer's recommended amount. Buying an energy efficient washer where I have to use POWER WASH, EXTRA RINSE, VINEGAR & DRIER is not a good answer for a problem Maytag must be aware of as I read the reviews today. I have just done 2 loads of dark laundry with no detergent & the pants are marked so I WANT AN ANSWER.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Bought "top of the line" Maytag Commercial Technology washer because it was supposed to be the most advanced on the market. My experience has taught me that "advanced" does not equate to efficient, effective, and expedient. The washer settings for an average load (sheets or towels or clothing) is about 111 minutes per load (nearly 2 hours!!). To adjust to what would be a "quick wash" is about 25-30 minutes BUT the washing part of that is only about 5-7 minutes. I feel like a Pioneer Woman because I must spend most of a day to run four (4) loads of laundry (sheets, towels, dark clothing, white clothing). This is extremely frustrating!! I am sorry I purchased this product.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Maytag MHW3505FW Washer and dryer were purchased 13 months ago. I purchased and spent $2,000 because the Lowe's salesperson and the stickers on the machine said they had a 10 year GUARANTEE AND "commercial quality/technology". Exactly 2 weeks after 12 months the washer started flashing erratically when I was able to turn it on. Wouldn't react to any of the touch controls and stopped working. Called Lowe's who told me because I hadn't bought an extended warranty they would do nothing. When I told them I was told a 10 year warranty was in place they said they only cover a year. I was told to call Maytag. Maytag said the 10 year warranty only covers the steel drum and motor! Nothing else is covered after one year. I was offered an extended warranty for $600. Not something I will be doing. I will replace with non-computer washer and dryer and will NEVER BUY MAYTAG again. They should be sued for false advertising.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I paid a lot of money for this washer. It was recommended by a service guy from Sears. It is only 3 years old. I don't think it cleans well at all. Energy efficiency? Not seen on this machine at all. It takes at least an hour for a cycle. It is super loud on the spin cycle. Now it is leaking and has that stagnant odor that front loaders get. Really! Waste of money. Will never buy a Maytag again.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

We purchased our Maytag through Sears. We wanted a very basic machine, and that's what we found at Sears, yay! Fast forward eight years and it suddenly quit agitating. We tried fixing it ourselves by replacing a plastic gear part, which, later on our appliance technician said was totally logical, but it still wouldn't work. We got our appliance repairman out here and he took it into the shop and fixed the problem, which turned out to be part of the motor or something like that.

The thing that bothers me the most is that he asked if we had bought a refurbished washer, but we hadn't, it was brand new. He gave us a part that was swapped out that wasn't made for the machine and also said the safety guard for the cord was missing. This keeps it from pulling out of the machine in case it gets jerked. I feel deceived and just wanted to vent because there really isn't anything I can do about it now. Buyer beware, yes, but I know we have to be our own technician sleuths to be sure we're getting what we paid for?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

We purchased the Maytag Bravos MCT in July 2017. Just passed the 1 year warranty and the glass door just shattered. No reason for it really other than it must have been defective. Nothing dropped on it and it wasn't cold or hot in the room. I got nothing. Maytag said they didn't know why it would happen, and would have to send service tech out. A lid for this type of washer alone is $200-$300. Buyer beware. Don't get a glass top loader.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Not long after the 1 year warranty expired the washer started making noise while agitating. Long story short, the transmission is making the noise and should be replaced. It is a $200+ part. While it is still working ok, I'm waiting for it to fail completely. Not good for an expensive washer. I don't think I'll buy Maytag again.

Maytag Washers & Dryers expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Maytag has been inside American homes for over 100 years and continues to provide innovative technology and great customer service.  The company is especially famous for its Maytag Man, a symbol of the company's dependability and dedication to service. Maytag continues to build success, with nearly five billion dollars in revenue generated in 2014. Their washers and dryers are available as top loading or front loading and can be configured to fit your laundry room’s space. Maytag’s innovative technology ensures your clothes get just the right amount of clean and just the right amount of dry, all while saving you time and money.

• Energy Star qualified: All of Maytag’s washers and dryers are Energy Star qualified, meaning they are energy efficient and will save you money compared with a machine that is not Energy Star qualified.

• Size capacity: All of the front loading and top loading models range from medium to extra large capacities, so you can buy one that works best for you based on the size of your average laundry load.

• Quiet: Maytag washers and dryers are quiet, so you can put them anywhere in your house, including closets and near bedrooms, without worrying about noise.

• Advanced Moisture Sensing: Maytag’s Advanced Moisture Sensing makes sure every article of clothing gets dry, from socks to towels. The sensor strips located inside the dryer measure moisture levels around the fabric of the clothes in the dryer. At the same time, inlet sensors determine air temperatures to stop the load at the appropriate time.

• Best for: Value hunters, families, individuals and customers who want a dependable brand.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs