Maytag Washers & Dryers

Compare Washers and Dryers

Research top Washers and Dryers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We like the Maytag as we had one of these for 25 years before this one. So I guess with no breakdowns it does not owe us anything. This new one is much noisier but they tell us all the machines are this way now unless you buy a expensive one.

Same problems as everyone else. Water not soaking the clothes, questionable load capacity, shaky (we have engineers in the house so there is no way they did not look for floor evenness as the stores/Maytag will tell you that you may not have done, complete bs) etc. It's absolutely horrible that we're all now stuck with such a terrible machine. I really wish I had read these reviews before (I google'd the machine earlier but got generic stuff and didn't stumble upon these reviews until much later). Maytag should take responsibility on this as retail stores do not take back appliances unless they are defective. The Bravos is definitely a defective product from the get-go though.

The washer is not cleaning the laundry. It's a HE my butt. It's been looked at and "fixed" numerous times. It sits too long and it doesn't really agitate the laundry at all. Laundry is in the exact position when you loaded it when it's done. It's the worst washer ever! I can clean the laundry better in the sink!

So far after 5 calls and over two hours spent on calls IMPOSSIBLE to get an answer from Maytag about the correct fill levels of detergent. Consumer support simply do not know and refuse to direct me to anyone or have anyone call that does know answer. WHY SO IMPORTANT? Either you do not get clothes clean OR you damage machine and leave residue on clothes! Neither is acceptable. Using the fill level indicator on Bravos XL dispenser is in direct contradiction to any recommended levels on lids of high efficiency detergent manufacturers like Tide. Per Maytag manual only fill detergent to max fill LINE which is literally about two or three tablespoons of detergent. The lowest possible quantity of Tide per the lines on lid even for smallest load is two or three times the recommended fill level on the dispenser.

No one has to be an engineer to know two tablespoons of HE detergent in dispense is going to do same effective cleaning for one shirt or towel as it will with a queen size comforter or very large full capacity load. CORRECT ANSWER DETERMINES IF YOU DAMAGE WASHER OR IF YOU HAVE DIRTY CLOTHES. Googling online there is also no answer. Such a critical answer for Maytag washer to work and clean clothes that is simply not available and documentation is wrong is a huge concern about the viability of this machine and worse their support. Our machine is less than two months old but is obviously over-engineered to the point of just being silly. Tip to Maytag: start selling washboards. More energy efficient, more green except for red and blue bruised knuckles, uses one tenth as much water and users do not need to spend their nest egg savings to buy.

Not the first but will be the last Maytag product we will buy. Name may be same but the company is definitely not the company that used to enjoy that name with pride. SUMMARY: Maytag is adamant about using the correct amount of HE detergent OR damage and bad performance by washer and dirty clothes with a detergent residue. With all our best efforts we cannot get what that quantity of detergents is supposed to be. The user manual at best has ambiguous answer. The manual suggest horizontal measure of detergent in tray to max fill level which cannot be right. IF you instead use a vertical measure of how high detergent level comes up to the max fill line the quantity is radically different. It says dispenser holds 3 oz which would be beyond max fill level but nowhere near a vertical fill level.

We've had this washing machine for almost two years and it's the worst piece of crap waste of money of any appliance I own. We bought it on the basis that it's efficient and with the Maytag name you can't go wrong, right? WRONG. I'll never buy another Maytag machine again as long as I live. The issue is that almost every wash of dark clothes comes out with soap scum on almost everything. This is after numerous adjustments and reading the instructions over and over, and using minimal good quality liquid laundry soap and even running an extra rinse and trying different cycles like the Heavy Duty wash. Sometimes the scum works its way out in the dryer, but often I have to run the items through another cycle with no soap. It's extremely frustrating to pay top dollar for a machine that works so very badly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maytag Washers & Dryers?

Maytag washer Bravos MCT. Let me tell you your guidelines do not help at all. Would someone please tell me how to get my laundry clean when it doesn't even get all the clothes wet? Looks like I'll have to go to the laundromat at least I can get my clothes wet. You should be ashamed to put out such an inferior product. Worst washer ever.

We purchased a Maytag front load washing machine and dryer about 5 years ago. The front load washer is completely full of mold even though I have always followed the directions of wiping it out after each wash, leaving the door cracked, washing the machine with Affresh and even trying bleach and vinegar rinses. When I called customer service they refused to do anything about it. Then the dryer stopped working after 5 years and we had to get it serviced. Now, the door has completely come apart, as in every little piece has come off the handle and surrounding door frame. I have never seen anything like this on the oldest of machines and I have taken care of these appliances. I will never buy another Maytag...

My husband and I purchased this Maytag bravo washer in May 2014. It is not even three years old and the bearings went out. Call the repair man and it would cost over $300 to have it fixed. I paid a lot of money for this washer, expected it to last more than less than a little than three years and I think it's terrible. It's loud, water was leaking all over the floor, it's just a terrible terrible washer. Maytag's reputation is not as good as it used to be. Model number mvwx5008wq and ser number. C41430792. If you are planning on buying a washer do not choose Maytag!

This Maytag Neptune is great at first but as you use it a lot it starts leaking from the seal of the door and it doesn't wash as well. It also doesn't let you change the settings after a while of use either. It is not a brand I would recommend because it doesn't stand up to a lot of use and doesn't last very long.

We bought this Maytag Bravos XL machine in Sept 2016. It has never cleaned the clothes properly, you can't even tell they have been washed! It also shakes a lot. In January it shook so much it knocked a hose off, flooded my kitchen and downstairs bedroom. Home insurance had to pay to replace the kitchen floor and downstairs ceiling. We contacted Maytag. They said they don't have a repair person in our area. Home Depot won't take it back. We are stuck with no workable machine. We have to go to the laundromat and pay 70 a week for laundry, plus the time, and we are out all the money. We paid Home Depot (thousands) for a washer and matching dryer. Plus all the takeout we had to order while they repaired the kitchen, but the strain of this whole thing is ridiculous.

We have had this washer and dryer set for 5 years now and have never had a problem. The washer is top-load and does not have a central agitator but works like a front load - very easy of clothes and cleans well. The dryer has automatic shut-off when clothes are dry and also a wrinkle resist feature. And, due to the steam feature, we also use the dryer to refresh coats, pillows or anything else.

Purchase this machine Bravo XL Top Load Washer in Dec of 2016, noticed right away every load of dark clothes comes out of the washer with a scummy lint residue on them, some of the clothes are not completely wet when you take them out of the machine. Have talked to Maytag and tried their suggestions that did not work. Seems like a canned speech reading some of the other reviews. I am just at upset with the appliance store that we purchased this from after their sales pitch how these are the best machines made, made in Ohio, great company etc..etc.. Just one run around after another.

I absolutely love this Maytag Bravos XL washing machine... I bought this machine before doing any research because of a sale and then after reading multitudes of reviews... positive and negative... I thought I had made a mistake. The absolutely most important thing with this machine is to load it properly and select the proper wash cycles. You must stack your clothes around the outside of the drum leaving the center open. You must use HE detergent. This is a Commercial grade washer and is meant to be loaded. The twisting and wringing of clothes is because of the high speed nature of the spin cycle (commercial). If you have never been to a public laundromat then you should try it and see what those machines do to your clothes. I too was apprehensive about the water levels at first... So I stood there for an entire cycle multiple time and on diff settings.

The machine is constantly adding water as needed and each time after about 10 min... no matter the size load I put in. The clothes eventually were covered by water. Have had no issues with clothes that come out dry in spots. I suspect this is due to improper loading. Again my info on using this machine... loading techniques etc.. all came from positive reviewers stressing the importance of these key factors. This machine was not designed or intended for light or delicate use. So if you do a lot of those type loads perhaps this machine is not for you. As for the loudness and banging I have read about I have not experienced that. I have read reviews that the problem in some case ended up being metal or plastic drip pans used under the machine. Mine sits on concrete. Anyway hope this helps someone out.

I have used Maytag washer and dryer for over 20 yrs. I recently replaced the set we purchased in 1988 because the washer broke down but I have never had a great problem with it either. I do an average of 3 loads of laundry a week. I measure my detergents, mostly wash on warm or cold and I keep the filters and machines clean. I would buy the same maker should I need to replace them.

I love the way it can really handle large loads. The dryer is the best though. It actually dries your load without you having to turn it on more. There are many different choices that handle drying. So, no more "to the bone" drying.

Maytag Bravos top load washing machine - This is the worst washing machine I have ever used. Like some of the other complaints it leaves lint on your clothing. It does not put enough water in the machine. The so called smart technology that senses your load does a terrible job. Your clothing is halfway out of the water, with dry spots, even after 10 minutes of agitation. I am constantly adding 3 to 5 gallons of water to my loads to get things in the water. And if I want to let thing soak for a while you have to unplug the machine, because after 10 minutes it will automatically drain the water out. 2 years of dissatisfaction. I can't wait for it to die. I should have come to this site first. Never buy a machine without an agitator!

WORST MACHINE EVER! Besides the soap scum Maytag Bravos XL Washer leaves on all of our jeans and my husband's work pants, the machine decides when it wants to work and when it does not want to work. We've had repairmen over, we have called the 800 numbers, just like all of the other reviews on here. I've readjusted clothes in that thing more than I've done laundry in my life!!! I HATE this machine. I've memorized the manual from reading it so many times, have the correct detergents, tried washing large loads, small loads, lined up the clothes around the outside so the middle thingie is not covered, thrown clothes loosely in there. Every way possible. The machine senses, starts filling, then just stops. Today, no matter what I do with the load in there, it will NOT run, it keeps shutting itself down and I do not even know what else to do. NEVER EVER EVER buy this machine! We will never own another Maytag EVER.

We've only had the machines for about a year, but so far they operate perfectly. However, the washing machine seems to take much longer to operate than my prior machine and is much noisier. But, the cleanliness of our clothes is great!

My mother always said Maytags were the best but I never bought a washer and dryer until about 5 years ago and both are the worst appliances I have ever owned. The washer has rust all over the bleach container and smells to high heaven and I clean it with Affresh all the time. The dryer doesn't dry well and the washer doesn't wash well. I am trashing both and buying some new ones.

This machine may save water but I spend more time and money getting out the severe wrinkles it creates. I use my dryer and iron much more than with my previous washer. I never thought a new washer would make wash day more difficult.

I have been washing clothes in different washers for almost 4 decades and never had a terrible washer until now. It has total control of the water level and it NEVER has enough water added. I have to add at least 2 full dish pans of water to every load. My washer does not allow you to pick your level because it does it automatically and no there's way to bypass this problem. It moans and groans for almost an hour in slow motion at its best. It should be illegal to sell such crap!

If the intent was to save energy it fails when it runs twice as long as other washers. The instructions that are in the lid say that when you set it on deep water wash that it does not sense automatically-LIES! This lid must be generically made for other washers that they have because again, you cannot choose a water level. When a washer runs for almost an hour (this is not soak or extra rinse either) it is not saving energy over those that run for half that length of time. I wish I had returned it, but I listen to others who say that this is how washers are now. I still owe 150.00 on it and hate writing that check.

I love the front loading machines. Fabrics don't get beat up like they do with a top loading machine with an agitator. My Maytag front loader doesn't have as many bells and whistles as others, but I love it nonetheless. Reliability was very important to me when I bought it, so I talked to a couple repair men to see if this was one they worked on a lot. When I found out they didn't, I bought it.

Fifteen months after purchase, the lid lock and motherboard goes off. It was replaced with new parts and the machine still doesn't work. Cost of repair is equal to the cost of the machine. With or without an extended warranty, the expense is not worth the investment. While shopping to replace the machine, the dealer finished my sentences on Maytag washers.

I have a new HE (high efficiency) washer. It takes getting used to as it's a definite change from the old agitating system but I think I like it. It doesn't make much in the way of suds but everything still comes out really clean. The wash cycle is much longer than my old washer but it uses a lot less water.

My Neptune has been a great washing machine. I did have to change the door gasket twice and just recently changed the bearings. My machine sounded like a jet engine. I ordered the parts on eBay, watched a YouTube video, and fixed my Neptune washing machine. It's still working and runs quietly.

I am absolutely disgusted with this Maytag Bravos XL washer. Have owned it 6 months and can't wait to get rid of it. We live on a farm and have cattle. If jeans go in the machine with mud on them, they will come out with mud on them. I have tried soak, deep water wash, power wash. Nothing works. I might as well put a wash tub in my back yard and wash by hand. Anything black must be washed by itself as it will come out covered in lint. How did this machine ever go on the market? Expensive mistake. Please do not buy this machine.

I "just" got the washer 2 days ago! It's horrible! What type of quality assurance dept are running? Or is there even a QA team?? I put a big load and selected Hot & Power wash. There was hardly any water. It was cold. The detergent nor softener never dispensed. This is the worst washer ever!!!

Purchased this machine (Maytag Bravo Washer) in May, 2015. Drive motor blew Jan, 2017. 18 mo. old. 10 year parts warranty and a tag on the machine that reads MCT (Maytag commercial Technology), which leads the consumer to believe this heavy duty machine. I called the warranty number, as I had properly registered the machine on the day of install. Said he would have a new drive motor out to me in 7 to 10 weeks. Yes. WEEKS. Really? I advised the operator that 3 parts stores in my area had the part available, and asked if there wasn't something we could do. He said no they are back ordered. How is it that Maytag can't get their own parts. I purchased the motor for 118.00 and my clothes are now washing again. NICE job Maytag. I suggest finding another company to buy your appliance from. Promises made are not promises kept. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS MACHINE.

Maytag washing machine is the loudest machine I've ever heard. It doesn't wash the clothes well leaves spots. We had a new barrel put in and it still walks across the floor. The water level doesn't come up high enough, makes grinding noises and it takes forever for the wash to be done. How can you say it's an energy saver if it goes on for an hour or so. Very dissatisfied and pissed off.

We bought a Bravos washer 13 months ago and it's been problem after problem. We had 6 service calls and the problems continue. From bearings being replaced to sensors to error codes, and now the washer drips water. This is the worst washer I ever owned.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Maytag has been inside American homes for over 100 years and continues to provide innovative technology and great customer service.  The company is especially famous for its Maytag Man, a symbol of the company's dependability and dedication to service. Maytag continues to build success, with nearly five billion dollars in revenue generated in 2014. Their washers and dryers are available as top loading or front loading and can be configured to fit your laundry room’s space. Maytag’s innovative technology ensures your clothes get just the right amount of clean and just the right amount of dry, all while saving you time and money.

• Energy Star qualified: All of Maytag’s washers and dryers are Energy Star qualified, meaning they are energy efficient and will save you money compared with a machine that is not Energy Star qualified.
  • Size capacity: All of the front loading and top loading models range from medium to extra large capacities, so you can buy one that works best for you based on the size of your average laundry load.
  • Quiet: Maytag washers and dryers are quiet, so you can put them anywhere in your house, including closets and near bedrooms, without worrying about noise.
  • Advanced Moisture Sensing: Maytag’s Advanced Moisture Sensing makes sure every article of clothing gets dry, from socks to towels. The sensor strips located inside the dryer measure moisture levels around the fabric of the clothes in the dryer. At the same time, inlet sensors determine air temperatures to stop the load at the appropriate time.
  • Best for Value hunters, families, individuals and customers who want a dependable brand.

Compare Washers and Dryers