KitchenAid Washers & Dryers

Compare Washers and Dryers

Research top Washers and Dryers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased my KitchenAid washer, model #KAWE800T, and matching dryer in 1988. These machines took me through raising two daughters, their diapers, them learning to do their own laundry, their putting as many pairs of jeans in the load as humanly possible and now, their visiting from the dorms to do laundry. Last week, I made my very first service call for a vacuum seal that was replaced in minutes. The lint screen is worn, but it's 25 years old. This washer and dryer have paid for themselves many times over and I will mourn their loss when I purchase new high efficiency machines.

I bought a new KitchenAid washer and dryer from Nebraska Furniture Mart in Omaha, Nebraska, and they were installed 10 March 2000. The washer is a Model KAW7505T. Both machines are now twelve and a half years old. Neither the washer nor dryer have ever needed any repair, and have performed perfectly the entire time. The dryer still runs perfectly. The washer just developed a leak, which is its first problem, and I debated whether to have it repaired or buy a new one. I opted to buy new as opposed to fixing this one due to its age. Since I cannot find a new KitchenAid washer locally, I bought an LG top loader new design washer, which will be installed tomorrow, but am very pessimistic that it will perform as good as the old KitchenAid washer. I am upgrading to a unit without an agitator. If I could buy the same exact model that I have been using for a dozen years trouble-free, I would certainly do that. Perhaps it is because the older products were better constructed and made to last longer and more trouble-free, but in any case, I have nothing but rave reviews about my experience with KitchenAid products.

We bought a KitchenAid Washer and Dryer approximately five years ago. Both units have broken down. The dryer had bad solenoids for the gas valve and with the washer, it was a coupler that was made of plastic. This is what pulls the drum and it was made of plastic. I will never buy another KitchenAid product again.

Also, with the washer, I asked the company (Whirlpool) to put it out there, that this coupler was plastic and should be metal and to at least notify customers. They told me that they do not do this. What a company!

My first washer/dryer lasted over 17 years. I only bought new as I was moving. And it was easier to just purchase a new one instead of moving the old, so I left it with the house that I sold. I purchased a KitchenAid washer/dryer. Just ten days past the warranty, the heating element went out of the dryer. John's Appliance (who I purchased it from) said that they couldn't honor the warranty and they were going to charge me $80 for just the service call. Since they were already out there, what could I do? The total cost was about $220. Last week, the shut off button on the dryer quit, so when you open the door, it is still tumbling. It will shut off by using the dial on the top--well, for now, anyway. This morning, the light inside the dryer quit. What's next?

KitchenAid and Maytag service is hell on wheels. My washer drum broke few weeks after we got it. They would not replace it. They told us to use it till they fix it. Weeks went by and no parts came. I asked them to replace it. They told me they have to fix it three times and they were very nasty. Well, it came. All parts were broken into pieces. Home Depot, the store where we got it from, replaced it. They got nowhere with KitchenAid and Maytag. Now, my refrigerator is less than a year old. The ice maker has gone south and rust has formed. It will not work. Six weeks have gone by and there were no parts to be found. I told them to send me a new ice maker bucket. They said they can't do that and they have to find the parts. And they were nasty to me. It's a piece of junk. Do not buy KitchenAid or Maytag. Buyer, beware. KitchenAid is no longer a customer friendly company. They do not stand behind their product. If they resolve this, I will report back. But as my husband is on the phone and it doesn't sound promising, you probably will not be hearing anything more on this piece of junk!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KitchenAid?

I purchased My Kitchenaid Washer and Dryer from Hansen's Appliance on 8/31/2010. I already have had my Washer repaired. Then today, I had to have the Dryer repaired when a belt, which is not even a year old, broke at a cost of $116.53. I always thought Kitchenaid was the top of the line in appliances. I guess I was wrong. Either that, or Hansen's is doing something to make money on parts.

In 2003, I purchased three new KitchenAid appliances, one of which was the Superba washing machine model KAWS850LE0. From the very beginning, the machine would occasionally overflow on a frequency of about once every six months. I assumed it was my error, since I would let the tub fill with water and soap slightly before adding the clothes. So, I never called the manufacturer about the warranty. I started putting clothes in first, then filling with water; but the problem persisted. It appears that the wash water does not drain before the rinse water comes into the tub.

Then, we moved in 2006 and took the washer with us since it was only 3 years old. The problem came with us, and I then decided to contact the manufacturer. Whirlpool would not honor the warranty, since it had lapsed by the time I decided to contact them. But they offered to consider some help if we used their authorized repair centers. We did that on several occasions, paid for the trip charges, only to have the repairmen unable to replicate the problem. We replaced a few parts that they thought were possibly causing the problem at our expense, of course. Still, the problem persists.

I am done with the repair centers. Whirlpool has been unwilling to concede that this machine has a serious flaw and has not paid for any repair visits but offered me a token, which was 15% off a new appliance. I passed on the offer. I really thought washers fell into the category of "durable goods," which should last in excess of 10 years. Obviously, not Whirlpool or KitchenAid products.

Two weeks ago, our 4 year old dryer stopped working. It took 6 days for the factory authorized repairperson to come out. A part had to be ordered. As of a week later, the part hasn't even been shipped. So it'll be about 3 weeks, without a dryer, going to the Laundromat, not to mention the expense of having the dryer fixed, and the expense and inconvenience of going to the Laundromat. Several years ago, we bought a KitchenAid dishwasher. It came with defective parts and didn't work from the beginning. Can this complaint at least be posted on your website, and other sites, to discourage people from buying KitchenAid products?

We built a new retirement home and moved in April 2001. We filled the kitchen with Kitchen Aid appliances... We thought they were top-of-the-line. To date, we've had the refrigerator worked on four or five times with freezer problems, a new motor had to be put in the dishwasher the first or second month we had it. The wall oven continually stops working, asking us to insert the thermometer orb/probe. I just paid a repairman last week over 200 dollars to repair our washer and dryer, agitator part broke on washer and fell out onto floor, dryer needed new timer replaced (washer and dryer are approx. 8 months older than kitchen appliances) and today I opened the microwave oven door and it made a horrible loud pop and a broken blue steel bar popped out... I think it broke from inside the door somewhere... That's the final straw, I think... This is ridiculous! We have probably 7 thousand dollars worth of Kitchen Aid appliances and it's falling apart. What is our recourse??? I've told anyone that will listen how bad these appliances have been.

Whirlpool delivered my KitchenAid clothes washer. I paid extra for installation. Their service technician did not check to make sure the washer was working before leaving. The VERY FIRST wash I tried to run the washer would not agitate. Called KitchenAid customer service and they sent out a repair technician. Besides cutting himself and bleeding inside and outside my new washer and and on my laundry room wall, he did nothing to fix the item. He said the motor was bad and would have to order the part. So looks like about 5-7 days to get the part and then another 3-5 days to schedule yet another 4-hour window to repair a brand new KitchenAid product. Obviously I was not happy about this so I called KitchenAid "Customer Service". Unbelievably they said they would not replace the product but would only repair it even though they delivered a broken useless product. Still waiting on the product to be fixed and still watching my dirty clothes pile up in the corner of my bedroom.

Re: washer model #KAWS777EQO purchased 3-7-1997. After 2 years use the plastic teeth on the bottom of the motor broke off. I had an extended warranty so Sears repaired it at no cost to me. Now after 5 years of use the same thing happened again. The Sears repairman replaced the transmission under limited warranty and also replaced the broken plastic teeth from the motor. This time the cost to me was $105.56. He said the reason for the problem was the machine was spinning before the water drained out of the tub, thus being too heavy a load for the transmission and motor to handle.
After he left, I noticed the machine was doing the same thing, spinning with a full load of water. At this rate I will need to pay for another service in 2 years. Today I called kitchenaid repair and was informed the problem was the timer, not the transmission. According to the Sears Tec, they are repairing this problem a lot. when I called Kitchenaid, their answer was I should have an extended warranty to cover the problem. I believe Kitchenaid knows they either installed the wrong timer or a defective timer in this model when it was new.

I purchased a kitchenaid Superba because I thought it would be of excellent quality, and last our family for many years. Now I can only look forward to more bills for repair or pay for an expensive warranty. This is not the accommodation I had expected from a company like Kitchenaid. I can look forward to more expenses in the future for a top of the line product.

I purchased a KitchenAid dryer from Sunrise Appliance & Fireplace Shop (Hwy 70 SE, Hickory, NC), and it was delivered to my home on April 13, 2001. Since my purchase, this dryer has worked incorrectly. Mind you, this dryer has been in my home two months today. I was expecting that this dryer would work correctly for about 10 years!
The dryer makes a piercing whine intermittently throughout the cycle. I have been treated VERY POORLY by both Sunrise Appliance and by Whirlpool. Sunrise has its own internal maintenance staff that they use to service the products that they sell. I have now had one of their technicians in my home on May 17th, May 31st, and June 11th. They do not know what is wrong with the dryer. I have had the motor and the belt replaced on the dryer. My thoughts are, "What else is there to replace?"
I asked Sunrise Appliance & Fireplace Shop to replace my dryer. They said that they can not replace the dryer without permission from Whirlpool. They instructed me to call Whirlpool's Customer Service line. I followed instructions. On June 8th at 9:10 a.m. I spoke with Marianna Hill at 800-253-1301 ext.7797. She input my complaint in the computer, and told me that was all that she could do. I then called Sunrise and spoke to the woman in their maintenance department. I told her that I want a new dryer. She said that they can not replace the dryer without consent from Whirlpool. I called Whirlpool again. They told me that the technician needs to call the Whirlpool tech line FROM MY HOME, just to make sure that the technician has thought of every possible solution.
The first time that the technician was in my home, he called Whirlpool's tech line and there was a 15 minute wait. The technician did not want to wait. He also was using MY phone! We only have digital service and that would have been a minimum of 15 minutes taken from my "peak-time" minutes. So, the technician told me that he would call the tech line later from his home, order the parts, and replace them. Hence, no phone calls have been made by any technician in the THREE visits to my house to the Whirlpool tech line.
My question, "Why does any of this have to be my business?" I AM THE CUSTOMER! I just want a dryer that works correctly!

I then received a phone call from Pitts Appliances in Hickory, NC, wanting to schedule an appointment to come to my home and give Whirlpool a second opinion on the dryer. This would have been the FOURTH time that someone would have been in my home to diagnose this dryer. I refused! I have already missed THREE days of work to deal with this dryer situation. I then called Sunrise Appliance & Fireplace Shop and asked to speak to the owner. He wasn't there, so I spoke with the Sales Manager, Tom Zuppa. Tom listened to my complaint, apologized for the inconvenience, and told me that someone (either he or one of his "higher ups") would be getting back to me before 10:30 a.m. on June 13th. At 10 a.m., Eric (Service Manager, I believe) from the Maintenance Dept (not Tom and not one of his "higher ups") called me to inform me that "his hands are tied." Whirlpool will not issue a new dryer, and Sunrise will not replace it.

I just wanted to write about my experience with "the way it's made" KitchenAid. I purchased a top of the line dishwasher, the KitchenAid Superba at Sears in July of 1998. I also purchased an extended maintenance agreement from Sears.
Not too long ago I noticed that the plastic housing around the digital control panel on my dishwasher had two cracks in it around the top edge. These cracks can not been seen unless the door is open. They appear to be stress cracks. A friend had mentioned that he had read that some of the digital models did have this happen.
I called KitchenAid and they said they had never heard of it. I then called Sears for maintenance. I even gave them the part # for the plastic piece so they could bring it with them. I took a day off work while Sears Maintenance Tech John came over. He did not have the part with him. John immediately said "I've seen hundreds of these cracks in the same spot ... I can guarantee you that if you get this fixed you will be calling back in two years because it will crack again." Then he proceeded to tell me it was a "cosmetic" problem and was not covered.
I mentioned that when I purchased the maintenance agreement I was told cosmetic parts were covered yet how could he call it cosmetic if he had seen 'hundreds of cracks like this'. He said it was considered cosmetic and no they were not covered. I got my Sears salesperson on the phone and he told the repair person it was covered. The repair person said "Listen young man, I've been in this business for 30 years and I know it it not covered. Do you want me to send the bill to your store? - that is the only way I'll order this part."
The salesperson agreed to have the charge sent to the store. The maintenance guy then told me I would probably have more problems after he replaces this piece and the whole fix might take 3 or 4 visits to fix these other problems caused by him taking the digital controls apart. My problem is: 1) If the maintenance person has seen this '100 times or more', why isn't KitchenAid standing behind their product and its manufacturing defect? 2) Even if it is repaired by this pessimistic maintenance person, what am I going to do in 2 years when it cracks again and my maintenance contract no longer covers this problem. 3) The Sears salesperson swears that even cosmetic parts are covered for the 1st 3 years of ownership and I have a brochure which states this is so. Why do I have to be put in the middle between the Sears store and their repair people?

Days off work and emotional distress trying to get this resolved. I paid for a warranty and feel I am getting duped by KitchenAid and Sears Maintenance. Don't know how to resolve this so that I am protected for future damage (based on the maintenance guy's predictions).

KitchenAid Washers & Dryers Company Profile