Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

92 Speed Queen Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

My family is very active. My daughter rides horses and works in a barn so we have a lot of very dirty, smelly laundry, including horse blankets and saddle pads. When my Maytag broke I went to a small local store that had several brands of appliances for sale. I told the salesman our situation and said I did not want anything fancy, I just wanted a "workhorse" of a washer and dryer. He recommended Speed Queen. I had never heard of Speed Queen but I trusted him and made the purchase.

THEN came home and read reviews. I saw the consumer report review that the washer didn't clean very well and of course I got very nervous. So the very first day, while I could still send the washer back, I put the dirtiest, nastiest saddle pads I had in it. These things were so awful, they stayed on the porch until time to wash. I washed them in Tide, and they came out perfectly clean! My first thought was how anyone could say this washer didn't clean well. It cleaned wonderfully well. I love my Speed Queen washer and dryer. This is a solid product that does its job well.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I love this washer. It is the same washer they put in coin operator cleaners. The drum is made of steel and takes a lot of heavy clothes. I am amazed at how quiet it is. What I like best is that if I forget to add something, I can open the top and add it. Many washers lock the door once it starts. This washer is the only one made totally in the USA and comes with a three year guarantee. I have heard people say that their Speed Queen has lasted the 20 or more years.

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

We have a Speed Queen top loader, the washer works very good, it has 4 wash modes, and three temperature settings. It also has an Eco mode that minimizes water usage. I use bleach and ammonia to sanitize my laundry and the laundry turns out well. The Speed Queen gas dryer is very good, too, but I don't like that the default setting is near dry, and typically the clothes are not dry enough for our liking, so we use the time dry and dry the laundry longer. The default setting for dryness is near dry for all heat ranges and load types.

We still love both of our Speed Queen products. In the past we had two highly rated front loaders that had significant issues, one where the drum came loose, it was cheaper to buy a new washer than repair the front loader. The second front loader had to have several of the computer boards replaced. Both of these washers were less than 3 years old when these problems came up in them. That is why we purchased the Speed Queen items with old school controls and simplicity.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

We have owned expensive LG front load and numerous top load washers and dryers over the years. I read several negative reviews of the 2018 Speed Queen washers and dryers, following its redesign. Made in America means a lot to me, this along with the 5-year parts and labor warranty is the reason we decided to pay up for the Speed Queen 5000 series washer and dryer and give them a try.

We decided to purchase this model because it has 6 cleaning cycles and easy to use knobs vs. the push button control board. We are very pleased with the performance of our new appliances. The washer is quiet, and exceeded our expectations in cleaning our clothes. Every load has came out clean and smells nice. I believe this is the result of adequate water usage and Speed Queen's design to push water along with the cleaning agent through the cloths. The only con I see with the washer is it has a safety lock while in use that requires you to pause the cycle to add items to your wash. The dryer is efficient, my clothes are usually dry in 35 minutes.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

After doing much research I wanted a modern somewhat efficient washing machine but with better build quality and durability than the big box stores. I love the fact that the new washing action is easier on my clothes. Some people are having a hard time with that, but this is the future. Sure the washing machines in the 70s lasted forever BUT they beat up clothes, cleaned yes, but beat up in the process. I also like the fact that they removed the transmission, one less failure point in the future. This is also the most quiet washing machine I've ever experienced. Looking forward to getting many years of service from this unit.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Speed Queen?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

Bought a Speed Queen washer at Tasco Brampton in 2018 and it's broken down 3 times. Under warranty repairs take at least 3 days for the repair technician to contact me and then over a week to actually attempt to repair. Will never deal with tasco or speed queen ever again.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

When I received my first dryer, all was good except that neither autodry cycles would advance unless set on cool down. The dryer ran as long as 4 hours without ever advancing. I stopped the dryer after the 4 hours - never tried longer than 4 hours. I exchanged that dryer only to receive one (same model) that was worse. Exact same problem, but also runs very noisy sounds kind of like there are shoes or a ball in the dryer. The first dryer was very quiet. The noise comes and goes. Then before I had time in my schedule to have a service person come out for those problems, the heat stopped completely. The service person replaced the igniter and which fixed the lack of heat problem, but was unable to fix the other problems (replaced a few other things, etc.).

Speed Queen refuses to replace this dryer. Says to have service tech come out again or use someone else and have them speak with their tech. My service tech did speak with their tech, and went over the wiring on the machine. Speed Queen customer service still refuses to replace dryer and insists that I must continue to have service technicians continue to come out to repair the machine until it is fixed. This dryer is 2 months old and never has functioned properly. Seems they have a manufacturing defect that they are not owning up to.

Original review: June 19, 2019

Purchased my set 1-8-18, was told by the salesman this set is laundry mat quality and it’s backed by a 10 yr warranty. If it breaks Speed Queen will have a repairman in your house the next day. I said man that’s good, the set was pricey but I liked the warranty. Well, as usual that turned out to be horse **, the dryer went out. I called Speed Queen and was told, “We don’t fix nothing.” We look for somebody local to fix. Speed Queen should pay me the 3000, I have in their overpriced fake warranty that they are selling.

Original review: June 4, 2019

I really don’t want to give this rating a star but I had to select at least one. My one star is under duress. This machine doesn’t even deserve one star. I bought a top load Speed Queen washing machine a year ago and used the “eco” setting which didn’t rinse the soap out of my clothes and I developed a terrible skin rash that I had to treat with **. The customer service rep at Speed Queen said the “eco” setting is to comply with government regulations and I should not use it and I should always use the “auto fill”.

My clothes never were clean, in fact they became dingy. The biggest test of all was that none of my dog toys ever came out clean, they came out with the same dirt they had when I put them in the washer. I called customer service at Speed Queen 3 times to discuss the machine's disappointing performance... “Don’t use eco setting”. “Small loads won’t get clean if there’s not enough clothes in them”. “The machine is designed so that the clothes rubbing against each other will clean”. In the end after a year of frustration I bought an Electrolux and my clothes are clean again.

Original review: May 25, 2019

Bought this piece of crap washer in August 2018. Since then I have had service on it 7 times and 2 complete drum and all the inside of tub replaced. Called Speed Queen and they said it was the technician's fault that it was not working right. So they sent another tub and tech replaced that too. This machine sounds like a jet airplane is taking off and you better have headphones when you do the wash. Why bother washing. You're better off just wearing your clothes inside out as they would be cleaner than what this piece of $1000 crap would get it.

Customer service specifically John in residential washers got his feelings hurt when I expressed my animus to him. He acted like a baby and threatened to hang up if I wasn't nice to him. I asked him to call Speedy Appliance and call me back when he did. I was told they had to get approval to call me back from his boss. My comment to him at Alliance was to ask him if he needed permission to use the phone.

Please please DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT. I feel like throwing it on the highway with a huge sign of do not buy Speed Queen so everyone on the highway can see what a terrible product this is and let them know that Alliance who owns Speed Queen is a consumer nightmare. It appears that our dealer washed his hands of this situation. Why are they still in business if they cannot stand behind their product.

Speed Queen Company Information