3.37/5
Based on 43 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a washer and dryer?

43 Speed Queen Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

We bought the Speed Queen front load washer and dryer in the fall of 2017. It's now almost a year later and we are absolutely as pleased as is humanly possible with them. The washer is fast and quiet and the dryer does an amazing job of drying. Doing laundry has never gone this fast! Zero problems, using less detergent than ever and saving $$$. Thank you Speed Queen!

Original review: July 15, 2018

Tried to wash clothes this week, burning smell is coming from washer. Does not spin. Machine is 4 years old. Bitter Neumann tells me it is no longer under warranty. Warranty should be at least 5 years for this kind of problem. Disappointed. Poor design. Will not buy another Speed Queen. Machine is extremely heavy and very hard to take up and down stairs.

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 3, 2018

Two weeks after I got the set the washer would randomly not turn on. If I let it sit for awhile it would start but this happened constantly. Turns out this is a known problem with some of the control panels. Why on earth would they continue to sell washers that they knew might not work! I have been waiting almost 3 weeks for a replacement part but no end in sight. If Speed Queen had any integrity they would give me a new machine. Quality workmanship and putting the customer first is a thing of the past.

Original review: June 26, 2018

We bought our Speed Queen washer (TR3000WN) through Amazon in Oct. 2016. This is the "old school" model; not "computerized." Formerly we went through several brands and models of different big-name washers, some of which were rather expensive, and most of which lasted only a few years at best. While many of the reviews of the newer Speed Queens seem to indicate that the brand is no longer as good as it once was, I can attest that so far ours has been WONDERFUL. IT WASHES THE CLOTHES. We live on a farm and have lots of dirt. The Speed Queen does not play around, but washes the clothes quickly and gets them clean. Our former "eco-friendly" washer took FOREVER and still did not do as good a job. I recommend this particular model of Speed Queen, if you can find one.

Original review: June 19, 2018

It has been 4 weeks and still have no working machine. I bought it in 2015 and have had no trouble with it until now. It seems it is impossible to get parts and when Kettle Moraine Appliance gets the parts they are shipped wrong or just can't get them. Not sure who is to blame but going to the laundry when there is a perfectly good washer right here in the house is frustrating and expensive. Machine works good, just POOR service and no help from either company. Would I buy another Speed Queen, NEVER.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Speed Queen?

Original review: June 3, 2018

Purchased the new 2018 TR7 Speed Queen Top Load Washing Machine after reading rave reviews on the Speed Queen washers. Unfortunately, Speed Queen changed the agitation mechanics of the 2018 models and this machine does a terrible job of washing clothes. It does not remove dirt or stains no matter what cycle you run it on. I've tried everything to get my clothes clean and bright but after 2 1/2 months of trying, I gave up. The local dealer told me I had to get resolution with Speed Queen.

Speed Queen told me I had to get resolution with the local Dealer. I sent pictures, made phone calls to SQ and the dealer, multiple trips to the dealer, comments on SQ Facebook and website etc. Working with the local dealer didn't get me any suitable resolution until I suggested that I would call the BBB and local TV station. Finally, SQ and the dealer got together and they decided to give me a full refund and take back the machine. Warning to anyone planning to buy the 2018 Models of Speed Queen...buy something else.

Original review: May 3, 2018

We purchased a Speed Queen washer and dryer for our new home in December 2017. I was surprised to see that we're making these for home use as I used to work for a man who had several commercial washing centers in Philadelphia. These were the best machines ever. Now after using this for a few months it takes so long to dry towels and when washing new towels this week they came out with all kinds of pulled loops on towels, hand towels and washcloths. Very disappointed with this dryer. Washer also does not have a longer time to wash. Only 29 minutes max for heavy duty. What’s up with that?

Original review: April 8, 2018

After being told by several washer repair personnel, and being told by the appliance salesman, that if I wanted to buy the best available washer, even though it was much more expensive, to buy the Speed Queen that they had on display. (Model AWN43RSN115TW01 from Edwards Appliance in Depew, NY). Delivery was made exactly on time and after the installation was completed, the delivery man said "load her up and enjoy your new washer". The first several loads were, I would say, average loads, but eventually I "loaded her up" with a large load of colored clothes. Washing process worked well and the tub drained for the most part but would not spin. Even after removing some of the wet clothes, there is still no spin cycle.

I will contact Edward's, (whom I am not blaming for the problem) to send out a repairman. In my opinion, THIS SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING TO A TOP-RATED, EXPENSIVE WASHER IN THE FIRST MONTH OF USE. I would caution anyone considering this Speed Queen washer. I will gladly change my rating if this situation improves.

Original review: April 7, 2018

Purchased our Speed Queen top load washing machine based on reviews and the excellent recommendation from our expert neighborhood appliance store. This has been the worst purchase. I agree with the other reviews. Great - wash cycle is only 30 minutes but the clothes are not clean which is unacceptable. I have been left with smelly kids' clothing, stains and loads. I couldn't tell have even been through a wash cycle, plus it’s noisy. There are even times when globs of the detergent have been left on the clothing. Not sure about the previous history of Speed Queen (which apparently was great at one time) as some have mentioned a contrast between older and newer versions. Our old front load Maytag cleaned just fine. Wouldn’t recommend but if you insist, you can buy mine (humor).

Original review: April 5, 2018

Purchased our washing machine May, 2017. Having problems with the unit. It has been to the service for 2nd time now at the Meyer Appliance where we purchased it. Since the unit is less than one year old, I have called the Speed Queen directly if we can get a new unit, but they denied our request. The unit has been in service since March 22, 2018. The first time was last year October-November, 2017. Very frustrated that we got the defective unit and they are still trying to fix it. Serial No.: 1704003888. Model: AFNE9RSP113TW.

Original review: April 1, 2018

I recently was given an almost new Speed Queen electric dryer that was discarded due to a problem that was going to cost over $400 to repair. The problem was definitely a factory defect. The problem involved the factory leaving a component out when it was assembled. This model ADEE8RGS173TW01 was repaired by me using new parts and now works properly... I have an older Speed Queen washer and gas dryer in my house and they work great but this factory defect situation on an almost new unit makes me wonder if the factory has the proper QC in place to make sure new units will indeed last a long time. I work on washers and dryers daily and I have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. Hope they correct this type of problem...

Original review: March 13, 2018

2018 washer redesign has destroyed a once-great brand. Agree with all the other reviewers who are horrified at Speed Queen's stupidity in turning their backs on their many years of embracing the traditional agitator washing machine design. Had a new model for a couple days and sent it back. Was lucky to find an old 2017 model. It's sad to see a great thing end. What were they thinking?

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I used my neighbor's brand new Speed Queen top load washer they had just bought to try it out. I was shocked at how really poorly it washed my clothes. The dirt and stains on my clothing were all still there when they came out of their new 2018 washer. There was even some undissolved soap still on my clothes. I immediately went to the local laundromat, which I dread having to ever do and rewashed my clothes to get them clean and took them home to dry them. Needless to say, I will NOT be buying a speed queen when I replace mine. Amazing that Speed Queen would make something that this bad.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I've gone as far as to check with engineers at parent company Alliance Laundry. The only water temperature options for regular cycle are HOT and WARM. Up until now, I've used cold water for most loads for a lot of years and now just waiting for my clothes to disintegrate because they haven't figured this out. Absolute worst commercial washer.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I purchased a New Speed Queen Electronic Front Load Washer and matching dryer in 12/16. I have had problems with them since day 1. The washer is not wringing out the clothes causing issues with the dryer. The washer drops fabric softener into the wash cycle so the clothes do not come out soft. I have had 8 service calls so far and they have fixed NOTHING! I am getting ready to contact the Attorney General's Office to see what can be done. This washer is supposed to last for 25 years and be fully warrantied for 5. I am so unhappy with Speed Queen and Fred's Appliance who sold me this JUNK.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I purchased a Speed Queen. Supposedly they were the best most reliable, inner parts metal not plastic. It lasted 5yrs. Now it will cost me as much to purchase a new one as it will to fix A 5 YR old machine. Supposedly last 25 yrs... ha. Shame on you...

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

When we married in 1997, my wife had a Kenmore 500 series W/D set she had bought second hand. I kept it working for years past its expiration date by installing new agitator dogs & 2 new lid switches, learning how to do so from YouTube videos. It got to where it would only work on the heavy duty setting, so we used it like that for about a year or so. Unfortunately, a few months ago it reached the point where it wouldn't drain at all so I had to empty the tub by hand (major pain) using a plastic water pitcher (regular bucket wouldn't fit).

I think the problem was the timer switch b/c nothing else seemed out of whack - the 'brain' apparently wouldn't tell it what to do when (fill/agitate, drain, spin, refill/rinse, drain, spin). In any event, a new timer switch runs around $125 & I just couldn't justify spending that much on a 20+yo machine plus we have 4 kids now so time was of the essence. After reviewing many washers, I took the plunge to purchase the SQ AWN932SP & although pricey, man, is this thing a beast. It has ample capacity & although it has a shut-off lid switch, that is easily defeated, which I also learned how to do from YT, in order to add detergent or softener anytime during the cycle. It has analog switches (no friable electronics), a real agitator, a 3-yr full warranty & 5-yr parts only warranty, it's solid & American made. It works like a washing machine should.

My only minor fuss is the spin cycle (perhaps because it either doesn't spin long/fast enough) so items come out a bit more damp than with the Kenmore, but I hope SQ is listening so that can be corrected. And that's not even a big deal - many things we hang up to air dry anyway. You'll pay more on the front end, but you'll be glad on the back end. I highly recommend this machine. I also hope the new administration will scale back many of the ridiculous regulations previous administrations imposed on manufacturers so they can make machines that work again & aren't subject to the whims of rule-making PC bureaucrats.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Purchased a matched set Speed Queen washer/dryer in June of 2013. We experienced burning smells from the dryer from day one, but really didn't think much of it. Finally, in September of 2017, the smell got really bad so we called the repairman. When he opened it up, he couldn't believe the mess he saw inside. The machine had bad connectors from day one and they had finally gotten to the point where they burned so badly inside, they almost started a fire. The repairman said it was a manufacturer defect and to contact the company. We did, and they did nothing. They didn't even apologize that they almost burned our house down.

Considering I frequently run the dryer during the night, a fire could have easily started while we were sleeping. I am stunned by the lack of customer service and am afraid to continue using the unit. The washing machine has made a noise from day one, as well, but the repairman cannot figure out where it's coming from. I am so upset that all my long research to find the best, longest lasting machines still turned up junk.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I checked this site to see if the newer model Speed Queens are as good as the old ones. Kind of mixed reviews here so I'm not sure what to think. I'm not really in the market for a new washing machine -- the one I have now is absolutely fine and has never had a repair -- but you never know what's in the future. My current machine is 28 years old. My kids are out of the house now so it isn't used daily anymore but I still run it four times a week. Since they took phosphates out of laundry detergent I do notice a lower level of cleaning, but that's certainly not my washing machine's fault. My previous machine was also a Speed Queen. I bought it used from a neighbor -- had no idea of it's age -- and it ran seventeen years. And I was doing multiple loads in those days! So are the new ones as good? I doubt it. Hope I don't have to find out for a while!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

CR never seems to review SQ products. They are expensive but built to last and perform excellent. Hard to find but worth every penny. Outside drums are steel too. Made in USA. I am so happy with mine. Newer models now have electronic controls. Buy Speed Queen! Only complaint I have is that I wish the detergent drawer came out easier for cleaning.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Our Speed Queen washer and dryer are separate units, bought at different times (washer 4 yrs, dryer 2 yrs). Both very ample capacity, perform well, and have been reliable so far. The only negative thing is they are more expensive than many other brands, but maybe they will last longer, too.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

In the 2 weeks we have had the front-loader (AFN50RSP113TW01), it has ruined 10 pieces of clothing. It is gentle but doesn't get out the stains produced by our 2 boys. Our previous washer from a big-box store lasted only 8 years, but at least it cleaned the clothes. Now we're stuck with this well-built but poor performer for a very long time. The customer service personnel at Speed Queen were very nice, but very disappointed that the company won't replace the machine with a better model at this price point.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I have had several washing machines and dryers in my life. I bought a Speed Queen washer and dryer last month thru recommendation of my appliance repair man. He told me if people would buy them they would never go back, he said I would get at least 20 years out of them. Thank goodness for him. I got the top load commercial and it is wonderful. You can actually adjust from mini loads to extra large loads. It takes 30 minutes to wash a normal soil load of clothes instead of the 116 minutes on the other. The clothes are much cleaner. The energy and water savings are great. You can have any appliance in my house. Just don't take my Speed Queens.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I purchased this machine new in late June 2017. However, Monday, August 7, 2017 I put a load in the washer, it gets off-balance and I find my garage full of smoke. The repairman later informs me that a belt broke, wrapped itself around the pulley and broke that as well. Here I am 6 days later, brand new BROKEN washer in my garage next to the growing mountain of dirty linens and clothes. Speed Queen apparently feels little incentive to get the parts to us as the appliance store is still waiting for them to arrive. Wow, I would say this is exactly the circumstance I hoped to avoid by buying this so called "reliable" brand. Yet it couldn't even handle a small off balanced load. Never been so unhappy with a purchase.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I purchased a Speed Queen washer and dryer set costing $1500. Reviews were great and that's how I made my choice. After installing the dryer, it never worked - would shut off after 3 minutes. After calls to the retailer and to Speed Queen, I was given, by Speed Queen, the names of 4 service technicians to call to service the dryer, all of whom refused. Speed Queen referred me back to the retailer and said to tell the retailer to contact their distributor. The distributor said they do not offer repair service. The retailer replaced the dryer. New dryer works great. I used the washer 4 times. The 4th time it would not agitate, spin or empty the water. I had to wring out the load of laundry by hand and suck the standing water out with a shop vac, taking about 12 trips to empty it. I am 67 years old-this was not pleasant.

Again Speed Queen was contacted, this time by the retailer. Again SQ customer service referred the retailer to the same service technicians who again refused once they found out I live outside their city. Again SQ told the retailer. It would not authorize replacement and honor the SQ warranty which accompanied my washer and dryer. Why is a manufacturer's warranty not the responsibility of the manufacturer? $1500 and at this point all I have is a working dryer. This is going all over social media if Speed Queen fails to come through and honor the warranty on this product. This is extremely poor customer service.

Original review: March 30, 2017

I inherited my dryer with my house 22 years ago, and I love its simplicity and reliability. However, it's starting to need replacing. Now, sometimes a piece will get caught in the exhaust filter now, and I doubt that there will be replacement parts available for this antique. I like its simple dial for time and/or cycle, clothes get dry, and the lint trap is in the front and very easy to clean out. I also like that it's a gas dryer and not an electric. I wish that I had a separate lower heat setting for delicates - the air-only setting gets nothing dry. Other than that I wouldn't change a thing, and when I get a new dryer, I will definitely get another Speed Queen.

Original review: March 29, 2017

I have a Speed Queen top load washer with settings that ranged from delicate and heavy duty washing functions. It was large capacity so it met all my needs. I was able to wash everything from blankets and comforters to delicates in small load. The worst thing about it was that it was not whisper quiet. But I never had any problems and never needed repair service. After 6 years of use, they still appeared new and functioned as such.

Original review: March 28, 2017

I used a Speed Queen triple load washer at the laundromat. I think they work well and takes about 25 minutes to wash everything. I like the size of it. I can fit a lot of clothes in the triple size washing machine, and it seems like it holds a good amount of clothes. I try to put as much stuff as possible in there so I don't have to pay as much money. But when it's full it doesn't seem to want to wash all the clothes.

Original review: March 27, 2017

My mother normally used the Speed Queen ringer washer to wash clothes for 7 people on a regular basis and there were no problems with it as I recall. She was hospitalized for a while and that was when I used it when I was 18 years old -- I'm now 65. It was a pretty basic ringer washer, but its features were fine at the time because me and my family lived on a small farm in the country. There really wasn't space for what was referred to back then as an 'automatic washer.' So the ringer washer suited fine. The main features were a stainless-steel tub and the ringer. It was of course portable (on wheels).

Original review: March 26, 2017

I used Speed Queen at a laundromat, and they are amazing! You can get more into your loads without worry. You know all of your clothes will come out clean. Sometimes I go to the laundromat to use their machines for my bedding. With the ones I have used it was nice to have a presoak option. Plus I like the high speed cycle of removing water. You don't have to worry about your clothes being so heavy with water when you go to dry. However, the ones at the laundromat take forever because of the presoak cycle. It would be nice if it went a tad faster and it would be cool if it cleaned itself out after every use LOL!

Not sure about Speed Queen?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Washers and Dryers for you.

Speed Queen Company Information

www.speedqueen.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business