4.12/5
  • 1 star
Based on 25 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution
Need a washer and dryer?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 27, 2017

25 Speed Queen Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Purchased a matched set Speed Queen washer/dryer in June of 2013. We experienced burning smells from the dryer from day one, but really didn't think much of it. Finally, in September of 2017, the smell got really bad so we called the repairman. When he opened it up, he couldn't believe the mess he saw inside. The machine had bad connectors from day one and they had finally gotten to the point where they burned so badly inside, they almost started a fire. The repairman said it was a manufacturer defect and to contact the company. We did, and they did nothing. They didn't even apologize that they almost burned our house down.

Considering I frequently run the dryer during the night, a fire could have easily started while we were sleeping. I am stunned by the lack of customer service and am afraid to continue using the unit. The washing machine has made a noise from day one, as well, but the repairman cannot figure out where it's coming from. I am so upset that all my long research to find the best, longest lasting machines still turned up junk.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

CR never seems to review SQ products. They are expensive but built to last and perform excellent. Hard to find but worth every penny. Outside drums are steel too. Made in USA. I am so happy with mine. Newer models now have electronic controls. Buy Speed Queen! Only complaint I have is that I wish the detergent drawer came out easier for cleaning.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Our Speed Queen washer and dryer are separate units, bought at different times (washer 4 yrs, dryer 2 yrs). Both very ample capacity, perform well, and have been reliable so far. The only negative thing is they are more expensive than many other brands, but maybe they will last longer, too.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

In the 2 weeks we have had the front-loader (AFN50RSP113TW01), it has ruined 10 pieces of clothing. It is gentle but doesn't get out the stains produced by our 2 boys. Our previous washer from a big-box store lasted only 8 years, but at least it cleaned the clothes. Now we're stuck with this well-built but poor performer for a very long time. The customer service personnel at Speed Queen were very nice, but very disappointed that the company won't replace the machine with a better model at this price point.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I have had several washing machines and dryers in my life. I bought a Speed Queen washer and dryer last month thru recommendation of my appliance repair man. He told me if people would buy them they would never go back, he said I would get at least 20 years out of them. Thank goodness for him. I got the top load commercial and it is wonderful. You can actually adjust from mini loads to extra large loads. It takes 30 minutes to wash a normal soil load of clothes instead of the 116 minutes on the other. The clothes are much cleaner. The energy and water savings are great. You can have any appliance in my house. Just don't take my Speed Queens.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Speed Queen?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I purchased this machine new in late June 2017. However, Monday, August 7, 2017 I put a load in the washer, it gets off-balance and I find my garage full of smoke. The repairman later informs me that a belt broke, wrapped itself around the pulley and broke that as well. Here I am 6 days later, brand new BROKEN washer in my garage next to the growing mountain of dirty linens and clothes. Speed Queen apparently feels little incentive to get the parts to us as the appliance store is still waiting for them to arrive. Wow, I would say this is exactly the circumstance I hoped to avoid by buying this so called "reliable" brand. Yet it couldn't even handle a small off balanced load. Never been so unhappy with a purchase.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I purchased a Speed Queen washer and dryer set costing $1500. Reviews were great and that's how I made my choice. After installing the dryer, it never worked - would shut off after 3 minutes. After calls to the retailer and to Speed Queen, I was given, by Speed Queen, the names of 4 service technicians to call to service the dryer, all of whom refused. Speed Queen referred me back to the retailer and said to tell the retailer to contact their distributor. The distributor said they do not offer repair service. The retailer replaced the dryer. New dryer works great. I used the washer 4 times. The 4th time it would not agitate, spin or empty the water. I had to wring out the load of laundry by hand and suck the standing water out with a shop vac, taking about 12 trips to empty it. I am 67 years old-this was not pleasant.

Again Speed Queen was contacted, this time by the retailer. Again SQ customer service referred the retailer to the same service technicians who again refused once they found out I live outside their city. Again SQ told the retailer. It would not authorize replacement and honor the SQ warranty which accompanied my washer and dryer. Why is a manufacturer's warranty not the responsibility of the manufacturer? $1500 and at this point all I have is a working dryer. This is going all over social media if Speed Queen fails to come through and honor the warranty on this product. This is extremely poor customer service.

Original review: March 30, 2017

I inherited my dryer with my house 22 years ago, and I love its simplicity and reliability. However, it's starting to need replacing. Now, sometimes a piece will get caught in the exhaust filter now, and I doubt that there will be replacement parts available for this antique. I like its simple dial for time and/or cycle, clothes get dry, and the lint trap is in the front and very easy to clean out. I also like that it's a gas dryer and not an electric. I wish that I had a separate lower heat setting for delicates - the air-only setting gets nothing dry. Other than that I wouldn't change a thing, and when I get a new dryer, I will definitely get another Speed Queen.

Original review: March 29, 2017

I have a Speed Queen top load washer with settings that ranged from delicate and heavy duty washing functions. It was large capacity so it met all my needs. I was able to wash everything from blankets and comforters to delicates in small load. The worst thing about it was that it was not whisper quiet. But I never had any problems and never needed repair service. After 6 years of use, they still appeared new and functioned as such.

Original review: March 28, 2017

I used a Speed Queen triple load washer at the laundromat. I think they work well and takes about 25 minutes to wash everything. I like the size of it. I can fit a lot of clothes in the triple size washing machine, and it seems like it holds a good amount of clothes. I try to put as much stuff as possible in there so I don't have to pay as much money. But when it's full it doesn't seem to want to wash all the clothes.

Original review: March 27, 2017

My mother normally used the Speed Queen ringer washer to wash clothes for 7 people on a regular basis and there were no problems with it as I recall. She was hospitalized for a while and that was when I used it when I was 18 years old -- I'm now 65. It was a pretty basic ringer washer, but its features were fine at the time because me and my family lived on a small farm in the country. There really wasn't space for what was referred to back then as an 'automatic washer.' So the ringer washer suited fine. The main features were a stainless-steel tub and the ringer. It was of course portable (on wheels).

Original review: March 26, 2017

I used Speed Queen at a laundromat, and they are amazing! You can get more into your loads without worry. You know all of your clothes will come out clean. Sometimes I go to the laundromat to use their machines for my bedding. With the ones I have used it was nice to have a presoak option. Plus I like the high speed cycle of removing water. You don't have to worry about your clothes being so heavy with water when you go to dry. However, the ones at the laundromat take forever because of the presoak cycle. It would be nice if it went a tad faster and it would be cool if it cleaned itself out after every use LOL!

Original review: March 25, 2017

I love Speed Queen. I like all the features. They have advanced in the technology of the world today. They are one of the oldest and new brands of all times. I can wash any size load and the washer and dryer adjust itself to whatever capacity that I have in them. I can never over load or under load using this brand. They have come a long way. I love the fact that it seems like it knows the level of clean that I require. My kids and husband used these items and they are very please each and every time they use it.

Original review: March 24, 2017

When washing Speed Queen does an amazing job. Its super fast and has multiple settings for washing. The dryer dries fast and doesnt take a long time to dry. Its just a little too expensive for my taste. This washer and dryer have amazing settings and multiple settings when it comes to washing and drying. One of the favorite things about it is the length of time it takes to dry. The cost of the Speed Queen washer and dryer is on the more expensive side for me. It does a good job but I could find something cheaper that could do the same job just less money.

Original review: March 22, 2017

There were SQ washer in a laundromat I visited regularly, plus I owned one-inexpensive to buy. My 3.42 cubic feet washer AWNE92SP113 is dependable, no nonsense and gets the clothes clean. It comes in white which reminds me of clean laundry. It wasn't heavy like some and was easy to move when I moved from an apartment to a house. It also has top loading, two rinse cycles, I could select the water temperature and the agitator strength. I also liked the cycle only took about 20 minutes. The one I had didn't used a timer and I wish it did. I would add a mini-basket. It wastes water when you have a smaller load than the washer's select small load. Make sure each Speed Queen washer has a timer.

Original review: March 21, 2017

The Speed Queen was an excellent machine. I never had any problem with it and it cleaned the clothes completely. I liked that it had different levels to choose from. From light to heavy duty. My beddings were cleaned safely. The dryer worked well and dried my clothes quickly which was great for me. I always like to finish with my laundry as fast as possible. I was completely satisfy. The clothes came out great, not too much wrinkles. The dryer did its job and would consider using it again in the future or even buying one for my personal use. For what I needed the Speed Queen delivered. All and all great features.

Original review: March 20, 2017

I really loved Speed Queen. I bought it because that is what my mother used and I am a traditional person, she was so pleased with her machine and is one I knew and grew up with so I knew I would love to be the owner of a Speed Queen washer and dryer. When I married and began my family we used it daily when the children came along and loved the experience of being owners. I enjoy that it is simple to use and so easy to operate, I could hold my child in one arm and add the softener when needed, I could unload and place in dryer with child in my arms, my husband could and was able to use this machine with ease and enjoyed the fact that it was very easy and simple to use, he never messed up the clothes he washes or dried. I was so grateful for that.

I would love it to have an alarm or bell to tell when wash is completed and would love a signal for when to add the softener so that I could do other things while waiting for the chance to add. I would love to see it improved for the younger generation and also my two sons will know what brand to purchase when they marry or move out on their own.

Original review: March 19, 2017

I think they are very good machines to use. Have used them at same washteria and were excellent in cleaning the clothes. Only once in awhile they were unreliable when were out of order!! They are dependable in getting the clothes washed and cleaned!! The machines are so quiet you don't even know that they are running until the light goes out and know that the clothes are done and ready to be put in dryer!!! The machines are so reliable and dependable that you simply cannot think of anything that will make you dislike the machines. I understand the clothes have to go in different cycles to get cleaned but you have to be patience until the machine stops!!

Original review: March 18, 2017

Speed Queen was front loading and very modern looking, and worked very well. My clothes were very clean and soft. I liked it but it had a lot of different settings which I didnt understand. But for someone who cares it would be a dream to use. I wish it had a 'just wash the stuff' mode. For someone who doesnt get too involved, it would be very confusing to use. Otherwise everything was great.

Original review: March 17, 2017

I had these appliances when my family was young (in diapers through grade school), and found them to be reliable and dependable. They were purchased more than 30 years ago in Columbus, NE and I chose them because the laundromat had that brand. I remember there was an extra prewash cycle that worked well for doing cloth diapers. I really liked the prewash cycle for rinsing diapers before doing their regular wash cycle. Alas! Few people use cloth diapers anymore! Then, as my sons got older, and into sports, I found the prewash cycle handy for tough, messy dirt and spills on their clothes. But when we moved to Sheboygan WI, we decided we would buy new appliances rather than move the ones that were over eight years old. The store in Sheboygan did not carry the Speed Queen brand.

Original review: March 16, 2017

I love my washer Model # AWN412SP111TW01. It washes great and it is much better than the ones with all the fancy technology features on them. This washer operates more like the washers I used to have and it washes in an appropriate length of time. I love the fact that this washer does not have the feature that locks your lid when you start your wash. My washer is more like the way washers used to be built years ago and not just some fancy technology that quits working right after your warranty goes out. The only thing that could be improved is that the water could be spun out a little more so that the clothes are not quite as damp when the wash cycle is over. This isn't really a problem but just a preference for me.

Original review: March 15, 2017

It worked great. A super machine that lasted for years with no maintenance and never broke down. It was the perfect machine from day one until it outlived its usefulness. The only reason it was replaced was that it had become out of date. I liked the permanent press cycle. It always was gentle on my clothes and never faded them or caused any tears or rips. I still love it today. I would recommend it to anybody.

Original review: March 15, 2017

Speed Queen worked quite well for me and for many years. It was an older model which may have been the reason it worked for so long and so well since older things seem to have staying power compared to today’s appliances. It was nothing special or brag about, just your average washing machine. It washed the clothes and spin them close to dry and that's all I or anyone needs in a washing machine.

Original review: March 14, 2017

I had a Speed Queen for many years and I was very happy with its performance. It didn't spin too long like some washers do but it still spun out good. It lasted a good many years without any problems. My Speed Queen washer had just one feature that I really liked and that was the permanent press feature so clothes wouldn't wrinkle. Best as I can tell it would wash in warm and rinse in cold or something to that effect. Its transmission worked fine the entire time I had it so therefore I can't think of any improvements that would be needed for this particular brand of machine.

Original review: March 12, 2017

I like the timer on the Speed Queen because it lets you know how long you have left until you have to deal with your laundry. I also like the large size of the machines especially when you go to wash blankets and comforters. But, I hated my washer, nothing came clean and the dryer never dries everything. The only place I have ever used one of these was at the laundromat so it might have been bad up keep on the machine. I would make it that it washed better and maybe increase the heat in the dryers so they dry better. I would also move the area that you add the detergent. It is always on the top and really hard for someone who is not tall to reach it.

Speed Queen Company Information