Save on Appliance Repairs

Save on Appliance Repairs

With the Best Home Warranty

Compare Quotes

84 Speed Queen Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 21, 2019

Hello. Wanted to replace our mid 80's vintage Speed Queen washer and dryer, and were horrified to learn that you guys changed the whole wash design. Investigated further, and decided the new design sucked, and was nowhere near the effectiveness of the old design. We will not buy another Speed Queen set until you go back to the tried & true proven design. If it works - LEAVE IT ALONE. Moving to Maytag for now. Sorry. FYI - back in the early '80s I used to deliver appliances, and the best units and oldest working washers we used to haul away were always the Speed Queens. Please get it together and re-issue the old design. If you don't, I'm afraid you will fail miserably in the residential market. I would welcome any feedback you might have on this issue.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I know a lot of people start by saying this but, I RARELY write reviews. Good or bad. After becoming frustrated with our Whirlpool Cabrio washer's lack of cleaning ability I took the advice of our repairman and purchased a SET of Speed Queen's washer and dryer. That was less than 8 months ago. Didn't even NEED the dryer but hey "Get the matching set". Speed Queen has always had an impeccable reputation for quality and reliability. Short story about the washer- Speed Queen washer does average to poor at cleaning on any temperature. Control knobs are basic and there is no way of telling how long your cycle will take. I mean NONE.

Long story on the dryer- After just a few weeks the dryer knob was not lining up correctly with the corresponding cycle and it was taking a minimum of 2 full cycles to dry most anything. I was literally guessing where I was in a cycle and hoping for the best. The dials are all made of cheap plastic (unlike their older, more reliable models) I have now had the same knob, timer and other parts replaced FOUR TIMES. The last time was one week ago and it has already happened again! FIVE TIMES in 8 months. I am beyond frustrated. Hence my review. I called the only number I can find for Speed Queen that seems to relate to customer service. I was told that to get a replacement machine I had to go to the dealer and not through Speed Queen. No one wants to take responsibility for an obviously defective machine.

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 5, 2019

Bought two new speed queen dryers. Both starter buttons are defective. After time button came apart inside. Tried to repair, but came apart once again. Now have it put together with plastic wire ties.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I “inherited” the Speed Queen dryer with the bed and breakfast business I bought 9 months ago. It’s commercial grade, heavy duty. It drives me to distraction! Despite buttoning up the duvet covers (I live in Australia) things still manage to get caught up inside and from time to time, the duvet cover even manages to get turned inside out, as do the pillow cases. How on earth can this happen??? And then there are the many, many times the sheets get twisted up like corkscrews. How can that happen?? I’ve had many dryers in my lifetime, none as expensive as this one, but every single one of them was 100% better than the Speed Queen. I HATE IT! Do not buy one! Rosie **, Australia.

Original review: March 31, 2019

Purchased a Speed Queen washer & dryer from Gerrit's Appliance in Grand Rapids Michigan. Both appliances have all of these light brown spots on them. Gerrit's came out once to clean them but they only returned. Have been trying to get Speed Queen/Gerrit's to take them back to no avail. Also, when drying clothes when you open the dryer door the lint gets all over the clothes. SQ sent me something but I already had one which does not work. Also, the timers are so quiet you cannot hear them when the cycle is done on either the washer or dryer. I have never had such poor service from either place, but especially SQ. I spoke with a man by the name of John and he did absolutely nothing. I then left two messages for him but he never returned my calls. I would not buy another SQ. Both appliances and customer service are worthless. Be very careful before you buy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Speed Queen?

Original review: March 27, 2019

I bought a stackable Speed Queen after reading about the reliability and longevity of the machines. I had read that they are workhorses and well built. Unfortunately, they are not that well designed and it is a daily frustration when I use mine. First of all, the upper dryer door is not round, it is flat at the bottom. This seems like it is a trivial detail, but because of the shape of the door opening, it is about 2-3 inches higher that I need to reach in the grab the dry clothes and for me at 5'1" that is the difference between being able to reach the back of the machine or not. Presumably this was done to have a straight edged lint catcher, but that is a foolish compromise.

The lint catcher brings me to my next complaint. You cannot remove the lint catcher without unscrewing it! To remove the lint, you just need to swipe your hand and grab the lint - no big deal, BUT if you want to clean it properly with a brush every so often, like I do, you cannot. Most people may not clean the lint catcher and the exhaust tube from there, but I always have and I can see that there is plenty of dust that gets through the catcher and is in the tubing beyond where I can reach without breaking out my screwdriver. That is a fire hazard and a ridiculous inconvenience to the average homemaker, housecleaner or working mother.

Next issue is the soap dispenser. It is so poorly designed that unless you close the dispenser immediately it leaks down the front of the machine and not only that, it tracks to yet another spot where it is difficult to reach and clean! When I take my soap dispenser out to clean, about every two weeks, the inside of the space where it fits also has dried liquid detergent in the corners and edges. This is poor design, it is not because I am using too much detergent - I am not. The lower panel at the bottom of the machine also needs to be cleaned/serviced, according to the manual every 6 months. Well this is also a major pain in the neck requiring the machines to be pulled out from their built in cabinetry positions and a couple of hex screws to be undone. Really? Couldn't they make it so the access was all from the front?

As for their functionality - it is fine. They are pretty quiet machines, they do the job, though I don't believe the auto-sensor works for dryness, and they certainly haven't broken, though I have only been using them for 1 year. Leaving the washing machine door open after using it has prevented any bad odors, BUT the glass insert in the door accumulates a weird soapy grime that requires a scrubby sponge to clean each week. I use the same regular eco-safe detergent (Persil) I used in my previous machine and never had that problem, which makes me believe it is the shape of the glass design. Of course also, these are a bit smaller than many of the big machines out there, but that is well stated in their literature and was no surprise.

Realistically, you cannot do two sets of sheets in one load though. The machine is just stuffed then and the dryer takes forever to dry if it is that full. This is an issue if you have a cleaning lady coming to do all the sheets in one day. It will take forever. Luckily, we just change our sheets on different days, but I no longer have a house full of kids - If I did - this would NOT be family functional washing machine and dryer

Original review: March 26, 2019

We purchased a new washer and dryer set from Albee's appliances in Los Angeles in October of 2018. We have had Speed Queens throughout the years with little issue. Sadly, both the manufacturer and seller no longer stand by their product, 5 months after purchase the washer is not working, they will cover parts, not labor.

Original review: March 24, 2019

Brand new commercial grade dryer bought new in Summer 2018. Consistently will not dry clothes in one cycle. My salesman highly recommended Speed Queen along with many friends. Inefficient to have to dry clothes 2 cycles on a high end machine.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Our machine is less than eight months old or machine and we have two major problems. First the inner plastic ring is falling apart. We have chunks of plastic in our clothes. Eventually the entire ring is going to break down. Our second problem is we have a internal water leak in the tub. Fortunately we have a plastic liner under the machine, otherwise our wood floors would be ruined. We are called Speed Queen twice and talk to someone by the name of Tim, who seems to have absolutely no information on anything. We had someone come out to repair the machine and we were told we should just get a new one. It’s in pretty bad shape.

He came out again the following week and was told that he had to replace the tub the liner and and find where the leak in the tub is. Today a week later we called Speed Queen. Spoke with Tim once again to find out what the status of our parts and repair was. He knew nothing. We called the appliance repair place directly and they are trying to track our parts but they said Speed Queen sends things through some super cheap delivery service not a UPS or FedEx and it’s hard to even find out where the parts are since there’s no tracking number. Meanwhile every time I do a load of wash there’s white chunks of plastic in my clothes. Oh and I forgot to add the machine makes these horrible clanking noise as well. That’s important. Anyway I thousand dollars for this machine what a joke customer service from Speed Queen. Disgusting. Do not buy this machine or actually anything from Speed Queen.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I purchased a 2018 Speed Queen washer in Sept of 2018. It was delivered mid October. I have not had a single load of clean clothing since. It has had problem after problem, and the repairman has been out four times in the last month alone. The washer fills with water, but doesn't agitate half of the time. When a load is finished, the soap and scent booster is still on the top of the clothing. We have been working without dealer, and Speed Queen, but so far all I have had is disappointment. I do believe they desire to help, but they have no idea why the machine isn't working, and would rather replace parts weekly than replace the machine. Never again!

Original review: March 8, 2019

I have to say something because I'm disgusted with this machine. Probably the most sturdy machine out there but simply does not clean good. My wife's dress clothes come out with the white marks on blacks. We have tried different soaps, and every possible setting to no avail. Extra rinses and all. Forget about my work jeans. They come out of this machine looking just as dirty as I put them in. I wish I kept my good perfectly running old washer with the good old agitator. I seriously don't know what Speed Queen was thinking of when they designed this machine. Think about this review before you buy this $1000 machine.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I find when using the washer it is extremely noisy. My worst complaint is that even using (1) king size sheet (not the full set) to wash, it comes out in a tied up knot. It's put in loosely. It's really bad if I put in the full set. What in the world is the agitator doing?

Original review: March 4, 2019

I wanted a heavy duty dryer and bought this on the recommendation of the salesman. It was professionally installed by the dealer who confirmed proper ventilation. Drying takes at least one hour per load. The sensor cycles do not work. The clothes are still damp even when set to "dry." After talking to the manufacturer's representative, the repairman said the dryer is functioning properly.

I contacted the company who wrote, "During the first 6 minutes of the cycle the machine takes readings of how wet the load is. During this time the control calculates how much time will be needed to dry the load. It also takes into account, with the current options selected, the average of the last 5 loads with the same settings selected. The time will vary with load size, type of fabric, amount of moisture in the load, air flow and the laundry room environment. After the initial 6 minutes when the time is calculated, the machine then runs for that amount of time."

In other words, the sensor does not "sense" the present load but stops at some predicted time regardless of the dryness of the load. Further, the representative said only "delicates" should be dried on the delicate setting. Jeans, sweaters, and other items that would shrink at high temperature are not "delicates." He suggested drying them on the timer on low temperature. While this does work, it means the sensor settings are useless.

Original review: March 4, 2019

September 2018 we purchased the new washer. We had heard that they were a top notch machine since they were considered commercial. Well last night we had the machine shred plastic into our drum. We have no idea what happened. Today is Sunday so I have to wait until tomorrow to contact the supplier for service. Since the shredding of plastic was so bizarre I decided tonight to read some reviews to see if anyone else had this issue. Lo and behold sure enough Suresha of San Anselmo, CA posted a review about this exact same issue on Jan 20, 2019. Seems this machine is a lemon and defective.

I will be taking this information to the store where we purchased our machine. I do not even want to go thru what she already went thru. I will see what our distributor does to correct this problem but I don't see anything other than replacing it with a new machine and even that based on the other reviews I have read about Speed Queen I don't want to stay with Speed Queen but I may have to just to try and get some of my money out of it.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Speed Queen are worth the money and are great in performance. Are fully made in the USA and are easy to install and use. Service from the seller was very clean and great and should I ever have to move will take them with me.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

We bought this because it was big and the salesman said it was reliable and it fit our budget. So far so good. It seems to do a pretty good job cleaning our clothes. Our old washer and dryer were Maytag and they lasted 22 years and cleaned well. At the time we were buying new ones we needed something less expensive. They seem to be doing a good job.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

This dryer consistently takes at least two cycles to dry clothes. The exhaust duct has been checked to be clean and Speed Queen serviceman has stated there is nothing wrong with this dryer. We bought this brand because they are the brand you see in laundromats and it has been reliable but I hate to think of the money wasted on drying each load at least twice.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

Speed Queen is a commercial grade washer that sells to residential customers. Commercial washers require the hottest water temps so Speed Queen can draw hot water separately. It has a stainless steel drum, and the parts are constructed to handle large, constant laundromat loads. If a buyer is looking for a machine with aesthetics, this isn’t it, but I happily sacrifice style for the hottest wash and cleanest clothes.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I wanted a good reliable washing machine, like the good old days! It didn’t matter about looks, or fancy stuff, I needed a workhorse that would clean clothes with heavy usage. I couldn’t take a chance. Speed Queen is the brand used in laundromats. I got a Speed Queen, and couldn’t be happier!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I purchased a Speed Queen top load washer 5/14/2018 ran 60 loads and it broke. Called Speed Queen and they said I have to get service thru the selling dealer which is 200 miles away. They have no authorized service company within 200 miles of me. Don't buy Speed Queen!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Agitator is too slow - doesn't clean clothes. Not enough depth on the fins on agitator to move back and forth either. Spin cycle is too slow - some clothes are dripping wet and other clothes are too wet to put in dryer. I thought with a tall agitator, it would move back and forth quickly to actually get a clean wash. Some of my clothes have residue left.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

My Speed Queen washing machine works great! My clothes come out much cleaner than with the last two washers I used. The Speed Queen dryer is fine. I wish it had a moisture sensor to prevent me from over drying my clothes. They could really use a styling makeover for those people who care about the appearance of their washer/dryer.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I live in a remote area and have difficulty getting service personnel to come to my location. After reading so many reviews of computer boards failing, mold problems with front loaders, and front loaders failing to clean, I knew I wanted a RELIABLE washer that CLEANED. Speed Queens have an excellent reliability record. Although my washer is only 3 years old and maybe "old school" with no digital computer boards, it does a great job cleaning.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Love the fact that Speed Queen is the only that is made in the USA. The brand is known for lasting 20 years. Let be the steel tub and how quiet it is. I also like that once the machine has started, I can open the lid and add that sock that did not make it. Other machines lock you out. I would buy it again in a heartbeat!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Every model had different features and it was hard to define why there were so many choices. Some had tops that were too tall, with deep wash baskets that I could not reach over and into. We bought them by the size and price. They seem to do the job, nothing special about them.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I can choose the amount of water I need for the size of laundry I’m washing. It cleans a very large or a small delicate load equally! It is quiet and very user friendly. And best of all, it’s faster than the average washer even when I use the twice rinse cycle.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I love this washer. It is the same washer they put in coin operator cleaners. The drum is made of steel and takes a lot of heavy clothes. I am amazed at how quiet it is. What I like best is that if I forget to add something, I can open the top and add it. Many washers lock the door once it starts. This washer is the only one made totally in the USA and comes with a three year guarantee. I have heard people say that their Speed Queen has lasted the 20 or more years.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Speed Queen are a little more expensive compared to Whirlpool products (Whirlpool owns just about everything) but made here in Wisconsin, USA... Unlike all other brands which are designed to fail, Speed Queen is truly designed to perform and last. Best warranty in the market! (No need to buy "The other brands extended warranty") These home units are designed around the laundromat version. I encourage you to check out their website.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

We have a Speed Queen top loader, the washer works very good, it has 4 wash modes, and three temperature settings. It also has an Eco mode that minimizes water usage. I use bleach and ammonia to sanitize my laundry and the laundry turns out well. The Speed Queen gas dryer is very good, too, but I don't like that the default setting is near dry, and typically the clothes are not dry enough for our liking, so we use the time dry and dry the laundry longer. The default setting for dryness is near dry for all heat ranges and load types.

We still love both of our Speed Queen products. In the past we had two highly rated front loaders that had significant issues, one where the drum came loose, it was cheaper to buy a new washer than repair the front loader. The second front loader had to have several of the computer boards replaced. Both of these washers were less than 3 years old when these problems came up in them. That is why we purchased the Speed Queen items with old school controls and simplicity.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I bought a commercial machine for our spa and honestly have never experienced a worst performance out of any brand at any price. It literally broke in the first week. There was some sort of top crown defect whereby the drum tore away from the frame and plastic shards fell into the bottom of the machine making funny noises.

The repair folks came by (Martin & Harris in Marin County, CA) and took most of the shards out but didn't replace the drum and said it would still work. It did for a while but then began making horrible noises like an animal was being tortured in the back room. They ordered the wrong part twice while we went to the laundromat spending hundreds of dollars. I finally called the manufacturer myself and they'd never heard of the problem as Martin & Harris hadn't filed a claim against the warranty even though the parts were being ordered from the manufacturer. I request a replacement since this machine is surely a lemon, and they refuse.

I then let them listen to the noise which shocked them, and they immediately called their chief repairman who'd been with the company for many years. Instead of sending the part he recommended, they sent another part. In the meantime the drum and belt are replaced which did nothing. It's been 2 months and we're still waiting for some relief. Finally the store takes the necessary part - the drive belt assembly - from a new machine in the store and installs it into our machine. They clean out the rest of the shards which had gotten underneath the shaft and the machine worked well again for about a week.

The same noise started again after the top crown tore away again from the frame. They came over from Martin & Harris to confirm that the improbably was true and finally requested a replacement. That's been a month ago. It's the third week in January and we've been dealing with this since early October 2018. It's just not worth the hassle to take a risk on this machine. It may have had a good reputation at one time, but at this point I'd never buy another one, especially since the service is abysmal.

Speed Queen Company Information