Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Speed Queen Reviews

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

My wife & I had a top-load Sears Kenmore (manf. Whirlpool) Heavy Duty Series 60 washer we bought (along with the dryer) 2nd hand & used for 20+yrs, along the way replacing agitator dogs & 2 lid switches, and a couple of other things I can't even remember, keeping it going long after many would've given up & tossed it. Finally, sometime in 2017, it got to where it would cycle fully on only 1 of the main switch settings, so I had to decide whether to chance buying a new main switch at roughly $140 & installing it correctly, or take the plunge & get a new washer entirely.

After doing online research & reading many reviews, I decided to buy a Speed Queen AWN432S mechanical switch (no friable electronics) top loader, and while more expensive than most, this thing is a beast that easily handles anything we throw at it. The delivery guy brought it right to our back door, I dollied it inside, hooked it up & it's great. Aside from our regular use, my college-age daughter brings her laundry home, fills it to the brim & it doesn't even break a sweat handling those big loads. They're made in America, built to last, have agitators (which actually get clothes clean) & so far, our experience with this washer has been nothing but positive.

Except for the bigger initial $ outlay, which will likely be offset by fewer repairs and/or buying new ones, the SQ AWN432S (and which, btw, I understand was manufactured prior to May 2018 Congressional mandates on appliance water usage amounts) is an outstanding washer. It doesn't have many bells & whistles; it's simply an old-school, solid performer that gets the job done. We are very pleased with the SQ AWN432S & I expect it to last 20+ years. Plus, our 20+yo Kenmore HD 60 series dryer is still going strong, having replaced the door switch & the main on-off switch, which are easy repairs for a diy'er.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

My family is very active. My daughter rides horses and works in a barn so we have a lot of very dirty, smelly laundry, including horse blankets and saddle pads. When my Maytag broke I went to a small local store that had several brands of appliances for sale. I told the salesman our situation and said I did not want anything fancy, I just wanted a "workhorse" of a washer and dryer. He recommended Speed Queen. I had never heard of Speed Queen but I trusted him and made the purchase.

THEN came home and read reviews. I saw the consumer report review that the washer didn't clean very well and of course I got very nervous. So the very first day, while I could still send the washer back, I put the dirtiest, nastiest saddle pads I had in it. These things were so awful, they stayed on the porch until time to wash. I washed them in Tide, and they came out perfectly clean! My first thought was how anyone could say this washer didn't clean well. It cleaned wonderfully well. I love my Speed Queen washer and dryer. This is a solid product that does its job well.

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I live in a remote area and have difficulty getting service personnel to come to my location. After reading so many reviews of computer boards failing, mold problems with front loaders, and front loaders failing to clean, I knew I wanted a RELIABLE washer that CLEANED. Speed Queens have an excellent reliability record. Although my washer is only 3 years old and maybe "old school" with no digital computer boards, it does a great job cleaning.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I love this washer. It is the same washer they put in coin operator cleaners. The drum is made of steel and takes a lot of heavy clothes. I am amazed at how quiet it is. What I like best is that if I forget to add something, I can open the top and add it. Many washers lock the door once it starts. This washer is the only one made totally in the USA and comes with a three year guarantee. I have heard people say that their Speed Queen has lasted the 20 or more years.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

We have a Speed Queen top loader, the washer works very good, it has 4 wash modes, and three temperature settings. It also has an Eco mode that minimizes water usage. I use bleach and ammonia to sanitize my laundry and the laundry turns out well. The Speed Queen gas dryer is very good, too, but I don't like that the default setting is near dry, and typically the clothes are not dry enough for our liking, so we use the time dry and dry the laundry longer. The default setting for dryness is near dry for all heat ranges and load types.

We still love both of our Speed Queen products. In the past we had two highly rated front loaders that had significant issues, one where the drum came loose, it was cheaper to buy a new washer than repair the front loader. The second front loader had to have several of the computer boards replaced. Both of these washers were less than 3 years old when these problems came up in them. That is why we purchased the Speed Queen items with old school controls and simplicity.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Speed Queen?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

I purchased a TR5 Speed Queen Washer in December 2019. It started malfunctioning even before the delivery truck was out of my driveway. The whole control panel was then replaced at the end of December 2019. Today, January 12, 2020, it is malfunctioning again. The lid locking mechanism works sometimes, but not other times. I'm afraid that this will cause the machine to stop working completely as did the prior problem. This machine is not living up to its reputation. Maybe this one is just a lemon, but hopefully I can get a replacement or a working machine at some point. This was a $1,000 machine.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

I bought a Speed Queen washer in January of 2014. What convinced me was the warranty. But less than 5 years later I need to replace this washer or fix it for 600$. Finding out the bearings were not covered under the warranty. I previously owned a Maytag that lasted 22 years. Replaced it with an LG front loader that was horrific because of the smell but it was running after 7 years at least. The technician told me I just got a dud because this really doesn’t happen with the speed queen but lucky me. Speed queen informed me they could not help. A washing machine should last longer than this so no I can no longer recommend this product.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I should have did more research before I bought this product. I was looking for a top loader with an agitator that actually agitated like the washing machines we use to buy back in the 70's & 80's. Machines that were made to wash your clothes and not give them a soothing bath. First of all with this washer the lid locks and I feel that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. I would give anything to break it off and shove it up the persons butt who came up with this stupidity. If parents today cannot control their kids and keep them away from things that are not there for them to play with, then we should not have to have a locking mechanism on the lid.

Secondly, I would like to be able to open the lid and see if there is enough soap as the machine is working; this does not happen. And as for cleaning the clothes; not frigging likely. It is a bigger piece of crap than my front loader was. I would gladly send these pieces of garbage back to Speed Queen and get my money back and go and buy back my front loader. I am so upset every time I use this machine it gives me a headache. I am tired of dealing with all the stupidity that there is in this world. Something seriously needs to be told to these so called engineers to try and stop re-inventing the wheel. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Leave the damn thing alone. It was working fine without your intervention. As for the dryer; not to impressed with that either. Stupid place for the lint screen; at the front of the door and wide open. Not too bright.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

Not happy with the washer. Purchased to replace LG that was destroyed when my home burned during the N. Calif wild fires. Completely new home and just moved in. The washer has suds coming up the Drain, "stand pipe" during the spin cycle which overflow down the wall and onto the floor. The rubber adapter supplied to defuse this problem lessens but does not eliminate it. Online search shows this is a common problem with this washer as does the fact that Speed Queen has developed a adapter to defuse the suds problem. Unfortunately the solution is inadequate. I'm considering taking the 2K loss paid for the washer and dryer to save on home repairs down the road. My suggestion is to look elsewhere for your washer.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

My husband surprised me with the Speed Queen washer (TR7) and dryer (DR7). The washer is fabulous. The dryer is awful! The metal plate in the back immediately turned black as it was burning our clothes. We cleaned the vents, replaced the panel and started drying everything on delicate and it is still burning our clothes. Called the store we bought it from and a technician called us and said it would be $150 to come out and basically told my husband it was user error and all the panels turn black. I am not spending a 1/3 of a new LG or Samsung for a tech to come out and tell me user error. All my boys underwear, socks, multiple shirts, countless blankets/comforters and 3 sets of sheets are burnt and ruined. Do not spend the grand on this dryer! My 8 year old Samsung dryer ran circles around this one - we should have never gotten rid of it!

Speed Queen Company Information