3.5/5 (511 ratings)

About Speed Queen

Speed Queen Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Speed Queen?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

I bought a Speed Queen washer and has been the worst washer I have ever owned. Clothes do not get clean. The door lock doesn't disengage. Wish I would had gone to Home Depot or Menards and bought sale one.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

From the time our Speed Wueen washer was installed in our house it would occasionally run water out of it at the spin cycle. That was over two years ago, countless service calls, and many phone calls to the company where we bought it and it still has the same problem. It seems when the service man is here and runs it it does not spew water out. I might go 6 loads and never have a problem. Then it will do it again. Sometimes only a small amount of water but many times nearly covering my laundry room floor. It seems rust is part of the warranty and the outside of the tub is starting to rust. Of course, because of all the water that has ran over the top of the tub and dumping onto our floor.

So the company we bought it from decided they can replace the tub....since rust is under the 5 year warranty. I told them I am doubtful it will fix the problem of the water running over it in the spin cycle. But here they come with a new tub for it. Repairman didn't have the right tool to get the tub out and felt it was a two man job to get the tub out. So supposedly he put the washer back together and told me it was ok to go ahead and use it. So I did the next day. NOT put back together and all the water that was going in was flowing back out and flooded the laundry room and into the next room. Note it is not a concrete floor and no drain.

That was well over a week ago and they have been called several times to ask when they are sending a service man out. No word. Seems they hadn't even told him there is a problem. SpeedQueen washers are junk and their service even more. They are not worth the extra money to buy them. It does no good to have a 5 year warranty if they can't or won't fix the problems they have.

Get buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2022

Simply put, the Speedqueen product is awful, and the customer service is awful and uncaring as well. As explained to me by the local appliance repair company that tried to help me, Speedqueen was good in the past, but anything after around 2017 is complete garbage. So when people recommend Speedqueen to you, they probably have had their machine a while. My machine was broken from the moment I got it. Control Board. Went out on me again after about four years, and now no help from Speedqueen to fix it. And the machine wasn't great when it worked anyway. My wife always complained the clothes did not smell clean.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2022

We purchased our Speed Queen washing machine 6.5 years ago after a thoroughly researching various companies. Speed Queen was quite the stand out! What we didn't see in any of the reviews was an issue with the electronics. If you were to go to Google Search and type in 'Speed Queen Washing Machine CM ER', results are rather shocking. This is a communication error between the two controller boards. If one of the two electronic boards fail (output controller board, part number 202508P $305 or top control board, part number 202770 $398 - both of which are made in Mexico (stamped on the boards)) your machine is out of business! Very very costly repair!! And this has nothing to do with the mechanics of the washer!! In our opinion, this Speed Queen is not a good value of the dollars spent!!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2022

After spending $1600 on a TR7 washing machine, I am simply sick to my stomach. The machine leaves thousands of wrinkles on every item that do not come out, it does not clean well at all, and after I went through all the steps that they told me to go through to have less wrinkles and cleaner clothes, nothing at all changed the situation. My old Maytag was 500 percent better than this piece of garbage. They said I could call back and maybe the RPMs needed to be adjusted if those things did not work that they suggested. However, when I called back, the woman on the phone, Andrea, threatened that if there was nothing wrong with my machine, then I would be charged if a service person came out.

When I asked her about the warranty and how horrible this was to promise people seven years of a warranty, covering everything, she said “Well, if I send someone out there and there’s nothing wrong, you will pay for it." I asked her for a supervisor, and she said it would take 48 hours for one to call me back. She also continually talked over me when I was asking for a supervisor. Awful, awful, machine, and terrible customer service. As I said, I am simply sick over this, and what I spent.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2022

I just purchased a Speed Queen dryer, actually the only dryer that would fit into my basement even after it was taken apart outside the house. Unfortunately, there are basically only two settings that I feel work for me-30 min or 60 min. Also there is no signal to notify me when the dryer is finished, which I have no idea once I have gone upstairs. I used to be able to wash hand washables on my old dryer (a Maytag) but there is no setting for that. Buy another brand if you can.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

I used to believe that Speed Queen was like Toyota. Pay more, but get a better product. After reading these reviews plus my own experience I have abandoned this view and am looking at their competitors to meet our demands. I have a Speed Queen only a few years old that makes awful clunky sounds as well as a dryer which recently needed extra parts. When the parts department told me my warranty didn't cover my issues and sent me the wrong parts they then charged ME to ship them back. They also charged over $23 to replace what looks like a 50 cent light bulb. Unbelievable...

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

I bought the Consumer Reports top rated washer and dryer last March; my husband and I are retired and do not do a lot of laundry but wanted a new set to replace our Maytag 20 year old set. I have mostly been pleased other than the fact that there is no "small or low-water" setting for a tiny load. This past weekend we had guests from out of town. As they departed on Sunday she ran the sheets through the wash and set the dryer - just as we left for church and we all were going to a beach hotel for four days. I checked the load as I left the house; they were still damp and I left the dryer on as she had set it....

My husband arrived home Wednesday night to a dryer that was hot and still running 4 full days later. The lint filter was full of white snow from the endless eating of our percale sheets 24/7 for 4 days on heated air - and there was one pillowcase that was shredded from the endless cycle. I am sure our electric bill will be enormous. I saw that the setting was on "perma Press" and on the "More Dry" setting when I came in and discovered the hot dryer still tumbling. I usually use a timed dry (creature of habit) on anything I am drying; and we seldom leave the dryer going when we leave home.

Today I called to see if there was a warranty or an issue with this and an agent from the factory explained that they had found that the older timers were faulty if the consumer turned the knob to the left - that it skipped the timer cycle and could heat and tumble "indefinitely". There is nothing about this in the manual I have; and he said it has been corrected but there is no "FIX" available to those of us who bought the models that are affected by this timer glitch.... Only to always turn the knob to the right to keep the timer in synch with the cycle asked.

I went in today after several timed loads of beach towels and etc; and I see that the setting is (after a complete "TIMED" cycle) the setting is exactly where my friend must have pushed the START button. Right on Perma Press "more dry" - as we found it 4 days X 24 hours later stuck. I pushed "start" and she started right up. I guess if I was foolish enough to let her go on - she would go on "INDEFINITELY" even though I have done a full rotation to the RIGHT ONLY in the time I have been home.

I am pretty unhappy that I did all the research on CR and went for the BEST - only to have this timer issue raise its ugly head and the agent for the company advise me to NEVER LEAVE THE DRYER RUNNING when you leave home... And to put a label on the machine to "ALWAYS TURN TO THE RIGHT when you choose a cycle - the LEFT negates or cancels the timer feature." Yet it is a KNOWN ISSUE and has been fixed in subsequent models. This is the "more detailed review" asked for and that which I would most appreciate as a consumer. Now I want to have Speed Queen replace my unit or my timer since this is clearly an issue that should have been a recall in any normal world.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

I am very disappointed by the performance of this washer. It is not quite 2 years old and tonight the lid lock refused to disengage. The machine uses various blinking light confirmations to indicate errors. So the rinse and lid lock kept blinking at the end of the spin cycle. I had to go to the circuit breaker to turn off machine as it is in a small laundry room and I cannot reach the plug behind the machine. I have to shut the circuit off manually at least once a month. The lid lock is a royal pain. I don’t think the clothes come out that clean and the cycles are very limited - ie there is no soak cycle. They say to clean water inlet filters once every 6 months but they are awkward and difficult to reach. I will never buy another Speed Queen again. It used to have a great reputation but the machines they are making now are not great.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

First off, I bought a commercial washing machine so I could wash rugs and bedspreads. My mistake in not doing my research!! Not only did I purchase the expensive washer, but I bought the extended warranty. Which was an even bigger mistake and waste of money. The regular warranty on the machine was for a year. Just after 13 months the washer was leaking inside the drum. The retailer I purchased from said it's in the extended warranty. So I called Speed queen, they sent a repairman out. He said the washer needed a part. Easy enough, right? Not at all!!! So that was 12 weeks ago!! So I called Speed Queen 2 weeks ago and asked what was going on, I was told that they would find out and call me back. And then with no response.

I call back today and was told that the repairman had tried to get ahold of me for 6 weeks and had the wrong number. Really, HE called me when he came to my house and looked at the washer originally. So they gave me his NEW number so I could call him. He said since he couldn't reach me, so he sent the part back. OMG I've tried to get my commercial washing machine repaired after 13 months of use by the extended warranty repaired for 4 months and it is still leaking!!! So please learn from my mistake and do your research and don't purchase a Speed Queen. I will never again!!!

Speed Queen Company Information