3.3/5 (112 ratings)

About Speed Queen

Speed Queen Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Speed Queen?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Speed Queen?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

I used to believe that Speed Queen was like Toyota. Pay more, but get a better product. After reading these reviews plus my own experience I have abandoned this view and am looking at their competitors to meet our demands. I have a Speed Queen only a few years old that makes awful clunky sounds as well as a dryer which recently needed extra parts. When the parts department told me my warranty didn't cover my issues and sent me the wrong parts they then charged ME to ship them back. They also charged over $23 to replace what looks like a 50 cent light bulb. Unbelievable...

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

I bought the Consumer Reports top rated washer and dryer last March; my husband and I are retired and do not do a lot of laundry but wanted a new set to replace our Maytag 20 year old set. I have mostly been pleased other than the fact that there is no "small or low-water" setting for a tiny load. This past weekend we had guests from out of town. As they departed on Sunday she ran the sheets through the wash and set the dryer - just as we left for church and we all were going to a beach hotel for four days. I checked the load as I left the house; they were still damp and I left the dryer on as she had set it....

My husband arrived home Wednesday night to a dryer that was hot and still running 4 full days later. The lint filter was full of white snow from the endless eating of our percale sheets 24/7 for 4 days on heated air - and there was one pillowcase that was shredded from the endless cycle. I am sure our electric bill will be enormous. I saw that the setting was on "perma Press" and on the "More Dry" setting when I came in and discovered the hot dryer still tumbling. I usually use a timed dry (creature of habit) on anything I am drying; and we seldom leave the dryer going when we leave home.

Today I called to see if there was a warranty or an issue with this and an agent from the factory explained that they had found that the older timers were faulty if the consumer turned the knob to the left - that it skipped the timer cycle and could heat and tumble "indefinitely". There is nothing about this in the manual I have; and he said it has been corrected but there is no "FIX" available to those of us who bought the models that are affected by this timer glitch.... Only to always turn the knob to the right to keep the timer in synch with the cycle asked.

I went in today after several timed loads of beach towels and etc; and I see that the setting is (after a complete "TIMED" cycle) the setting is exactly where my friend must have pushed the START button. Right on Perma Press "more dry" - as we found it 4 days X 24 hours later stuck. I pushed "start" and she started right up. I guess if I was foolish enough to let her go on - she would go on "INDEFINITELY" even though I have done a full rotation to the RIGHT ONLY in the time I have been home.

I am pretty unhappy that I did all the research on CR and went for the BEST - only to have this timer issue raise its ugly head and the agent for the company advise me to NEVER LEAVE THE DRYER RUNNING when you leave home... And to put a label on the machine to "ALWAYS TURN TO THE RIGHT when you choose a cycle - the LEFT negates or cancels the timer feature." Yet it is a KNOWN ISSUE and has been fixed in subsequent models. This is the "more detailed review" asked for and that which I would most appreciate as a consumer. Now I want to have Speed Queen replace my unit or my timer since this is clearly an issue that should have been a recall in any normal world.

Get buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

I am very disappointed by the performance of this washer. It is not quite 2 years old and tonight the lid lock refused to disengage. The machine uses various blinking light confirmations to indicate errors. So the rinse and lid lock kept blinking at the end of the spin cycle. I had to go to the circuit breaker to turn off machine as it is in a small laundry room and I cannot reach the plug behind the machine. I have to shut the circuit off manually at least once a month. The lid lock is a royal pain. I don’t think the clothes come out that clean and the cycles are very limited - ie there is no soak cycle. They say to clean water inlet filters once every 6 months but they are awkward and difficult to reach. I will never buy another Speed Queen again. It used to have a great reputation but the machines they are making now are not great.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

First off, I bought a commercial washing machine so I could wash rugs and bedspreads. My mistake in not doing my research!! Not only did I purchase the expensive washer, but I bought the extended warranty. Which was an even bigger mistake and waste of money. The regular warranty on the machine was for a year. Just after 13 months the washer was leaking inside the drum. The retailer I purchased from said it's in the extended warranty. So I called Speed queen, they sent a repairman out. He said the washer needed a part. Easy enough, right? Not at all!!! So that was 12 weeks ago!! So I called Speed Queen 2 weeks ago and asked what was going on, I was told that they would find out and call me back. And then with no response.

I call back today and was told that the repairman had tried to get ahold of me for 6 weeks and had the wrong number. Really, HE called me when he came to my house and looked at the washer originally. So they gave me his NEW number so I could call him. He said since he couldn't reach me, so he sent the part back. OMG I've tried to get my commercial washing machine repaired after 13 months of use by the extended warranty repaired for 4 months and it is still leaking!!! So please learn from my mistake and do your research and don't purchase a Speed Queen. I will never again!!!

Original review: June 1, 2022

We bought a Speed Queen washer and dryer 2 years ago as we were told from many repair guys that these were the best in the business. It has only been 2 years and the dryer has stopped working. Trying to get a repair has been a nightmare. Took a week for the warranty company to send a repair company to look at the problem. Now the warranty company states the parts are on back order with no ETA. It has already been 2 weeks with a family of 5 having no dryer. Upon hearing parts are on backorder with NO ETA I asked to speak with a supervisor in regards to a replacement instead of a repair at which point I was told this was not possible and was hung up on! TERRIBLE customer service. My repair company has stated that they have reached out to the warranty company three different times in the past 4 days with NO RESPONSE. DO NOT BUY SPEED QUEEN!!

Original review: May 11, 2022

This dryer is supposed to have a 5 year warranty. Don’t fall for it!!!! After 3 years and 11 months the heating element and timer went bad. Warranty did not cover this. Alliance said this warranty did not cover anything other than the cabinet and drum. Everything that I read in the warranty stated that this model was covered for a full five years. Don’t buy Speed Queen!!!

Original review: April 16, 2022

Customer service was terrible. Last time we had it fixed it took 2 months to fix. The first time was a couple of months after we had the machine. They fixed it but the 2nd time we had it fixed it took 2 times to fix it correctly. It turned out to be a seal that leak and ruined the bearings and we needed a new drum along with the bearings, gaskets and seals. Now it is doing the same thing. We only owned this machine since August of 2018. It is now out of warranty but I feel that it was a lemon from the start. It is going to cost about $400.00 to fix. The last time they fixed it it only lasted a year.

Very disappointed in the customer service and warranty. I only bought a Speed Queen because of recommendations from other. I would Never buy a Speed Queen again. Called again and told them we had the same problem and they told me that we were out of warranty. It was an expensive washer to begin with but I thought I was getting quality. Not the case.

Original review: March 24, 2022

I purchased a Speed Queen washer 1 year ago. What a disappointment. US made, 3 year parts & labor warranty. Don't fall for it as I did. Have had nothing but problems with this machine since day one. It washes fine but the fabric softener does not dispense properly, is all over the clothes once the cycle has completed. Have been in touch with Alliance which is the warranty service and we have tried several things to correct the issue, such as cleaning the dispenser even though clean, running extra rinse with every wash, avoiding the normal wash cycle, technician came out was not helpful or friendly nor fixed the problem.

Have been told by several individuals at Alliance not to use Downy fabric softener. So I have diluted my downy until is it like water and I am still having issues. So I have a washer that I cannot use the normal cycle and I cannot use downy. Also, due to my rural location, they do not have any technicians in my area to fix. I have requested a refund but they refuse. DO NOT BUY SPEED QUEEN.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

I bought the Speed Queen for several reasons, their reputation, it was made in the USA (I thought) and the reliability. I've had this washer over two years. It washes without issue. I can wash a large comforter with no problem and I haven't had any service needs. HOWEVER, it DOES NOT get clothes clean. I've tried switching detergents, smaller loads, everything. It simply doesn't get the clothes clean.

Also, on Normal Wash, they should tell you that that means COLD WASH. There is no way to wash Normal on hot or warm, even if you have the temperature setting on hot or warm. It washes cold, ice cold. Prior to purchase, I did research and there was another Speed Queen that had reviews of not getting the clothes clean, but it was not this model. Add the TC5 to the list of disappointing washers. This washer was 3 times the price of washer with these options. Speed Queen is very basic. No fancy bells and whistles. What a huge waste of money. I do not recommend this washer and after my experience and I don't recommend Speed Queen.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2022

I purchase a Speed Queen because I had the last one for over 30 years. I wish I had researched the new machines better. I bought a top load TC5003WN and it is terrible. It has very few options you can choose for yourself. For example, you cannot control the water level. It has a small and large load water level, nothing in between. The autofill barely covers the clothes in the tub. I've had to wash my clothes twice and we are only 2 adults here who do not get that dirty.

Secondly, the fabric softener gets on my clothes and again, I had to wash them again. There is no "rinse only" cycle on this machine. I have added water to the fabric softener to dilute it, but it still stained a nightgown. I wish I had my old machine back. I'd spend whatever it took to get a new tub on it, at least I could control the washings. I really hate this unit. The only good thing I will say is that it is very quiet. Unbelievable that this made in America product from this company is so bad. Sorry to be so negative, but I wish someone had warned me about these details before I bought.

Speed Queen Company Information