3.07/5
Based on 56 reviews that contain star ratings

Need a washer and dryer?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

56 Speed Queen Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I purchased a Speed Queen top load washer 5/14/2018 ran 60 loads and it broke. Called Speed Queen and they said I have to get service thru the selling dealer which is 200 miles away. They have no authorized service company within 200 miles of me. Don't buy Speed Queen!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I bought a commercial machine for our spa and honestly have never experienced a worst performance out of any brand at any price. It literally broke in the first week. There was some sort of top crown defect whereby the drum tore away from the frame and plastic shards fell into the bottom of the machine making funny noises.

The repair folks came by (Martin & Harris in Marin County, CA) and took most of the shards out but didn't replace the drum and said it would still work. It did for a while but then began making horrible noises like an animal was being tortured in the back room. They ordered the wrong part twice while we went to the laundromat spending hundreds of dollars. I finally called the manufacturer myself and they'd never heard of the problem as Martin & Harris hadn't filed a claim against the warranty even though the parts were being ordered from the manufacturer. I request a replacement since this machine is surely a lemon, and they refuse.

I then let them listen to the noise which shocked them, and they immediately called their chief repairman who'd been with the company for many years. Instead of sending the part he recommended, they sent another part. In the meantime the drum and belt are replaced which did nothing. It's been 2 months and we're still waiting for some relief. Finally the store takes the necessary part - the drive belt assembly - from a new machine in the store and installs it into our machine. They clean out the rest of the shards which had gotten underneath the shaft and the machine worked well again for about a week.

The same noise started again after the top crown tore away again from the frame. They came over from Martin & Harris to confirm that the improbably was true and finally requested a replacement. That's been a month ago. It's the third week in January and we've been dealing with this since early October 2018. It's just not worth the hassle to take a risk on this machine. It may have had a good reputation at one time, but at this point I'd never buy another one, especially since the service is abysmal.

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Three years old, already washer circuit board replaced twice, now balance sensors and wiring harness await delivery and installation. Dryer belt already replaced, usually after a 10 day wait for service. We are 2 people, 6 loads per week. Can't be that we are using it too much. We were sold on the size (we had a space problem) and the great warranty. Too bad we have to have parts and service on speed dial. Luckily we have a local laundromat. Factory rep says ours is an anomaly but doesn't really have an answer for when the 5 year warranty is up. Make sure you really want this over some other brand, although results could be the same.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

We have owned expensive LG front load and numerous top load washers and dryers over the years. I read several negative reviews of the 2018 Speed Queen washers and dryers, following its redesign. Made in America means a lot to me, this along with the 5-year parts and labor warranty is the reason we decided to pay up for the Speed Queen 5000 series washer and dryer and give them a try.

We decided to purchase this model because it has 6 cleaning cycles and easy to use knobs vs. the push button control board. We are very pleased with the performance of our new appliances. The washer is quiet, and exceeded our expectations in cleaning our clothes. Every load has came out clean and smells nice. I believe this is the result of adequate water usage and Speed Queen's design to push water along with the cleaning agent through the cloths. The only con I see with the washer is it has a safety lock while in use that requires you to pause the cycle to add items to your wash. The dryer is efficient, my clothes are usually dry in 35 minutes.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

We bought the SpeedQueen 'Commercial Heavy - Duty' grade Washer (AWNE82SP113TW01) & Dryer (ADGE8RGS113TW01) in Feb 2018. Washer Cons: Short wash cycle does not get clothes clean. Additionally, the timed wash counts down even as it fills. It may use up 5 mins of the 'wash' time before even being full. Cannot chose 'warm' in its default ECO mode- essentially very cold only. Ridiculously loud wash cycle.

Dryer Cons: Wetness Sensor doesn't do anything. However wet the clothes are at the end of the timed cycle - that's how they'll sit. Clothes are often damp after cycle finishes. If we're not home to immediately start the 'Fluff' cycle, clothes sit damp for hours/days. In short, the limited number of cycle options don't dry clothes. I'm very concerned about energy efficiency, but not drying clothes doesn't make it a better unit.

I did a good deal of research on this product before purchasing and really hoped for a better than box-store experience. (My wife has been very kind in not complaining about my 'well-reasoned' choice.) Technically, the units work; we have not had any non-functional issues as some have reported here. And we make adjustments to get clothes clean & dry. In short, I wouldn't recommend either product and we regret our purchases. I hope the American made brand can get their act together going forward.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Speed Queen?

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Very first use of this dryer with only a light, partial load, and either the belt or the pulley broke! Actually, for the record, not VERY first use, as I tried it briefly after installing it with no load just to make sure all was well. It survived that initial test, but not with clothes in it. Very disappointed. The seller is going to make it good, but that's besides the point. For $950 I expect a product to actually work.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I had this same washer before they redesigned it and it was the best washer I had ever had, LOVED it! But the redesigned washer is awful. I hate to say that, but it is true. I have had it less than a year and the spin cycle doesn't work. Nor does it clean clothes! It may be easier on clothes, but who cares if they are dirty. It doesn't spin the water out and clothes have to be dried twice. How is this easier on them? I wish they would bring back the old washer! Since my expensive Speed Queen has been a total disappoint, I have purchased a new washer with no computer parts and an agitator that isn't just for looks!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I purchased a new set of Speed Queens on 2/28/17. These are commercial grade Washers & Dryers. I have NEVER had a problem with other dryers and a friend raved about her new Speed Queen product so we decided to look into them. Since purchasing this “High Efficient” washer and dryer I have had to dry my clothes, towels, etc. twice each time. How efficient is that? I had a repairman come out. He told us the problem was in the vent. My husband had cleaned out the vent before he showed up so afterward he did it again and was given the ‘all clear’ from another service. The Speed Queen repairman came a second time.

The only thing he could tell us was that there was nothing more he could do and it’s something we have to put up with. What??? Put Up With??? Not acceptable. Today we had another repairman come out to test the heating element. His answer was the heating element was not running as it should. He will order a new part. WHAT??? A new part on a brand new Dryer? Now I realize I said it was purchased in February and this is November but please take into consideration that we are gone from June-October so this dryer was not in use at that time. This is totally ridiculous. I can’t believe Speed Queen, a company that is supposed to be the Number 1 seller of Washers & Dryers, would not replace this unit. So wrong. I will NEVER buy another one.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

We bought this commercial washer for our apartment complex which we manage. Within 10 days of installation the machine was smoking and flooded the basement. When we contacted customer support, they said they would come out to repair it. It has now taken 3 service trips, and 6 weeks to try and fix the machine. Our tenants have been without a washing machine for nearly 2 months now, and they still refuse to simply replace it. I am extremely dissatisfied with this washer, and believe it is a LEMON! Customer service should replace it, as this is a huge inconvenience for us - but they still refuse! We are very frustrated over here.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Bought matching set in April of '18 after much research. Was not aware of redesign which changed everything! Reviews were based on '17 models and older. This washer is loud... Filling, running, just loud! Does OK job of washing... Just OK. Failed to start several times. Technician says sometimes computer board "goes to sleep..." That's nice. Paid way too much to have sub-par performance right away. Better honor that long warranty they have. Thought we had made a long term purchase. Don't take my word for it. Check the web and YouTube videos. Made in U.S.A. used to mean something. Too bad.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

After doing much research I wanted a modern somewhat efficient washing machine but with better build quality and durability than the big box stores. I love the fact that the new washing action is easier on my clothes. Some people are having a hard time with that, but this is the future. Sure the washing machines in the 70s lasted forever BUT they beat up clothes, cleaned yes, but beat up in the process. I also like the fact that they removed the transmission, one less failure point in the future. This is also the most quiet washing machine I've ever experienced. Looking forward to getting many years of service from this unit.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

We LOVE our Speed Queen TR7 washer and dryer system. Don't be misled by negative reactions based on "how" it washes. This washer does not drag expensive clothing through the washer like machines of the past. Rather, it moves the water at high speed around the tub and through the garments. The end result is the best wash AND gentler on clothing. We've had fantastic results. Heavily soiled clothes from yard work and gardening came out beautifully.

The machine is very sophisticated with so many options for wash settings. I'm enjoying the process of discovering how to wash different clothing in the best manner possible - which this machine does. There's an extended soak option available along with a pre-wash cycle. You can even delay start the machine so that the washer "sleeps" until you want it to start. This allows for the ability to have the wash finish just as you arrive home which in turn eliminates standing wet clothing. Then just toss the clothes immediately in the dryer and the wash is done! (Not leaving the clothes in the dryer after they dry helps greatly reduce wrinkling.) Thorough cleaning PLUS preserving expensive clothing makes this the best washing system available.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

After buying washers from big-box stores and poor service/quality, I elected to purchase a 2018 top load washer from Speed Queen. Decided to support products made in USA and a brand known for quality and integrity. Within 2 weeks after purchase of new washer, it would not turn on. Started keeping log of events and now (week later) the same occurrence. It has been reported there are known issues with control panel and I am very disappointed that Speed Queen would sell washers under this circumstance. I only hope that I can get a repair or a refund.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

We bought the Speed Queen front load washer and dryer in the fall of 2017. It's now almost a year later and we are absolutely as pleased as is humanly possible with them. The washer is fast and quiet and the dryer does an amazing job of drying. Doing laundry has never gone this fast! Zero problems, using less detergent than ever and saving $$$. Thank you Speed Queen!

Original review: July 15, 2018

Tried to wash clothes this week, burning smell is coming from washer. Does not spin. Machine is 4 years old. Bitter Neumann tells me it is no longer under warranty. Warranty should be at least 5 years for this kind of problem. Disappointed. Poor design. Will not buy another Speed Queen. Machine is extremely heavy and very hard to take up and down stairs.

Original review: July 3, 2018

Two weeks after I got the set the washer would randomly not turn on. If I let it sit for awhile it would start but this happened constantly. Turns out this is a known problem with some of the control panels. Why on earth would they continue to sell washers that they knew might not work! I have been waiting almost 3 weeks for a replacement part but no end in sight. If Speed Queen had any integrity they would give me a new machine. Quality workmanship and putting the customer first is a thing of the past.

Original review: June 26, 2018

We bought our Speed Queen washer (TR3000WN) through Amazon in Oct. 2016. This is the "old school" model; not "computerized." Formerly we went through several brands and models of different big-name washers, some of which were rather expensive, and most of which lasted only a few years at best. While many of the reviews of the newer Speed Queens seem to indicate that the brand is no longer as good as it once was, I can attest that so far ours has been WONDERFUL. IT WASHES THE CLOTHES. We live on a farm and have lots of dirt. The Speed Queen does not play around, but washes the clothes quickly and gets them clean. Our former "eco-friendly" washer took FOREVER and still did not do as good a job. I recommend this particular model of Speed Queen, if you can find one.

Original review: June 19, 2018

It has been 4 weeks and still have no working machine. I bought it in 2015 and have had no trouble with it until now. It seems it is impossible to get parts and when Kettle Moraine Appliance gets the parts they are shipped wrong or just can't get them. Not sure who is to blame but going to the laundry when there is a perfectly good washer right here in the house is frustrating and expensive. Machine works good, just POOR service and no help from either company. Would I buy another Speed Queen, NEVER.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Purchased the new 2018 TR7 Speed Queen Top Load Washing Machine after reading rave reviews on the Speed Queen washers. Unfortunately, Speed Queen changed the agitation mechanics of the 2018 models and this machine does a terrible job of washing clothes. It does not remove dirt or stains no matter what cycle you run it on. I've tried everything to get my clothes clean and bright but after 2 1/2 months of trying, I gave up. The local dealer told me I had to get resolution with Speed Queen.

Speed Queen told me I had to get resolution with the local Dealer. I sent pictures, made phone calls to SQ and the dealer, multiple trips to the dealer, comments on SQ Facebook and website etc. Working with the local dealer didn't get me any suitable resolution until I suggested that I would call the BBB and local TV station. Finally, SQ and the dealer got together and they decided to give me a full refund and take back the machine. Warning to anyone planning to buy the 2018 Models of Speed Queen...buy something else.

Original review: May 3, 2018

We purchased a Speed Queen washer and dryer for our new home in December 2017. I was surprised to see that we're making these for home use as I used to work for a man who had several commercial washing centers in Philadelphia. These were the best machines ever. Now after using this for a few months it takes so long to dry towels and when washing new towels this week they came out with all kinds of pulled loops on towels, hand towels and washcloths. Very disappointed with this dryer. Washer also does not have a longer time to wash. Only 29 minutes max for heavy duty. What’s up with that?

Original review: April 8, 2018

After being told by several washer repair personnel, and being told by the appliance salesman, that if I wanted to buy the best available washer, even though it was much more expensive, to buy the Speed Queen that they had on display. (Model AWN43RSN115TW01 from Edwards Appliance in Depew, NY). Delivery was made exactly on time and after the installation was completed, the delivery man said "load her up and enjoy your new washer". The first several loads were, I would say, average loads, but eventually I "loaded her up" with a large load of colored clothes. Washing process worked well and the tub drained for the most part but would not spin. Even after removing some of the wet clothes, there is still no spin cycle.

I will contact Edward's, (whom I am not blaming for the problem) to send out a repairman. In my opinion, THIS SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING TO A TOP-RATED, EXPENSIVE WASHER IN THE FIRST MONTH OF USE. I would caution anyone considering this Speed Queen washer. I will gladly change my rating if this situation improves.

Original review: April 7, 2018

Purchased our Speed Queen top load washing machine based on reviews and the excellent recommendation from our expert neighborhood appliance store. This has been the worst purchase. I agree with the other reviews. Great - wash cycle is only 30 minutes but the clothes are not clean which is unacceptable. I have been left with smelly kids' clothing, stains and loads. I couldn't tell have even been through a wash cycle, plus it’s noisy. There are even times when globs of the detergent have been left on the clothing. Not sure about the previous history of Speed Queen (which apparently was great at one time) as some have mentioned a contrast between older and newer versions. Our old front load Maytag cleaned just fine. Wouldn’t recommend but if you insist, you can buy mine (humor).

Original review: April 5, 2018

Purchased our washing machine May, 2017. Having problems with the unit. It has been to the service for 2nd time now at the Meyer Appliance where we purchased it. Since the unit is less than one year old, I have called the Speed Queen directly if we can get a new unit, but they denied our request. The unit has been in service since March 22, 2018. The first time was last year October-November, 2017. Very frustrated that we got the defective unit and they are still trying to fix it. Serial No.: 1704003888. Model: AFNE9RSP113TW.

Original review: April 1, 2018

I recently was given an almost new Speed Queen electric dryer that was discarded due to a problem that was going to cost over $400 to repair. The problem was definitely a factory defect. The problem involved the factory leaving a component out when it was assembled. This model ADEE8RGS173TW01 was repaired by me using new parts and now works properly... I have an older Speed Queen washer and gas dryer in my house and they work great but this factory defect situation on an almost new unit makes me wonder if the factory has the proper QC in place to make sure new units will indeed last a long time. I work on washers and dryers daily and I have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. Hope they correct this type of problem...

Original review: March 13, 2018

2018 washer redesign has destroyed a once-great brand. Agree with all the other reviewers who are horrified at Speed Queen's stupidity in turning their backs on their many years of embracing the traditional agitator washing machine design. Had a new model for a couple days and sent it back. Was lucky to find an old 2017 model. It's sad to see a great thing end. What were they thinking?

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I used my neighbor's brand new Speed Queen top load washer they had just bought to try it out. I was shocked at how really poorly it washed my clothes. The dirt and stains on my clothing were all still there when they came out of their new 2018 washer. There was even some undissolved soap still on my clothes. I immediately went to the local laundromat, which I dread having to ever do and rewashed my clothes to get them clean and took them home to dry them. Needless to say, I will NOT be buying a speed queen when I replace mine. Amazing that Speed Queen would make something that this bad.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I've gone as far as to check with engineers at parent company Alliance Laundry. The only water temperature options for regular cycle are HOT and WARM. Up until now, I've used cold water for most loads for a lot of years and now just waiting for my clothes to disintegrate because they haven't figured this out. Absolute worst commercial washer.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I purchased a New Speed Queen Electronic Front Load Washer and matching dryer in 12/16. I have had problems with them since day 1. The washer is not wringing out the clothes causing issues with the dryer. The washer drops fabric softener into the wash cycle so the clothes do not come out soft. I have had 8 service calls so far and they have fixed NOTHING! I am getting ready to contact the Attorney General's Office to see what can be done. This washer is supposed to last for 25 years and be fully warrantied for 5. I am so unhappy with Speed Queen and Fred's Appliance who sold me this JUNK.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I purchased a Speed Queen. Supposedly they were the best most reliable, inner parts metal not plastic. It lasted 5yrs. Now it will cost me as much to purchase a new one as it will to fix A 5 YR old machine. Supposedly last 25 yrs... ha. Shame on you...

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

When we married in 1997, my wife had a Kenmore 500 series W/D set she had bought second hand. I kept it working for years past its expiration date by installing new agitator dogs & 2 new lid switches, learning how to do so from YouTube videos. It got to where it would only work on the heavy duty setting, so we used it like that for about a year or so. Unfortunately, a few months ago it reached the point where it wouldn't drain at all so I had to empty the tub by hand (major pain) using a plastic water pitcher (regular bucket wouldn't fit).

I think the problem was the timer switch b/c nothing else seemed out of whack - the 'brain' apparently wouldn't tell it what to do when (fill/agitate, drain, spin, refill/rinse, drain, spin). In any event, a new timer switch runs around $125 & I just couldn't justify spending that much on a 20+yo machine plus we have 4 kids now so time was of the essence. After reviewing many washers, I took the plunge to purchase the SQ AWN932SP & although pricey, man, is this thing a beast. It has ample capacity & although it has a shut-off lid switch, that is easily defeated, which I also learned how to do from YT, in order to add detergent or softener anytime during the cycle. It has analog switches (no friable electronics), a real agitator, a 3-yr full warranty & 5-yr parts only warranty, it's solid & American made. It works like a washing machine should.

My only minor fuss is the spin cycle (perhaps because it either doesn't spin long/fast enough) so items come out a bit more damp than with the Kenmore, but I hope SQ is listening so that can be corrected. And that's not even a big deal - many things we hang up to air dry anyway. You'll pay more on the front end, but you'll be glad on the back end. I highly recommend this machine. I also hope the new administration will scale back many of the ridiculous regulations previous administrations imposed on manufacturers so they can make machines that work again & aren't subject to the whims of rule-making PC bureaucrats.

Speed Queen Company Information