Shop on Appliances Connection

Order new appliances for your home

Shop top brands on Appliances Connection

Visit Website

Speed Queen Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Speed Queen?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Speed Queen?

Original review: May 23, 2020

Quiet running, cleans well, runs an average load in about 30 minutes. Spin is especially effective, resulting in shorter drying times as compared to our old Whirlpool. It has an upright agitator, a feature we wanted. Since Speed Queen has done away with the transmission, the agitator is fixed and the drum moves to swirl the clothes thru the water. It runs with a gentle whooshing sound instead of the old thrashing sound. So far, it has worked well. Our machine has analog controls, not the digital control panel. All the controls are marked understandably and are easy to use. My wife likes the delicate and hand wash cycles, something our old machine did not have.

Original review: May 21, 2020

We really love how simple this machine is to operate. I love that you can fill up the tub and soak stuff without it automatically getting rid of the water you have in the tub soon as you decide to shut off. The other type that are top-loading but are similar to front loaders they would always empty out the tub in. That isn't what I wanted to do. I love this machine because it works like the machines I grew up on where you can start and stop it wherever you want without it emptying. Does a great job washing our clothes no matter what cycle we use. Definitely would recommend.

Get buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 18, 2020

I bought my Speed Queen TR5 in December, after having several lackluster Whirlpools over the years. Before I made my decision I looked at more washing machines than I'd like to admit - reading reviews, comparing features, watching YouTube videos of people reviewing and washing clothes in various machines. Really. My head felt like the spin cycle.

I finally settled on the TR5. Speed Queen is pricey, but so are some other high end machines. The TR5 build is solid and it is reliable. It's made in the USA, too, if that makes a difference to you. I do several loads a week and have had no issues. It's quiet, efficient, and fast - loads are done in no more than 45 minutes depending on the cycle. Love this machine and hope it's the last one I'll ever need to buy. So if you're looking for a dependable washer, add Speed Queen to your list to research.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

My wife & I had a top-load Sears Kenmore (manf. Whirlpool) Heavy Duty Series 60 washer we bought (along with the dryer) 2nd hand & used for 20+yrs, along the way replacing agitator dogs & 2 lid switches, and a couple of other things I can't even remember, keeping it going long after many would've given up & tossed it. Finally, sometime in 2017, it got to where it would cycle fully on only 1 of the main switch settings, so I had to decide whether to chance buying a new main switch at roughly $140 & installing it correctly, or take the plunge & get a new washer entirely.

After doing online research & reading many reviews, I decided to buy a Speed Queen AWN432S mechanical switch (no friable electronics) top loader, and while more expensive than most, this thing is a beast that easily handles anything we throw at it. The delivery guy brought it right to our back door, I dollied it inside, hooked it up & it's great. Aside from our regular use, my college-age daughter brings her laundry home, fills it to the brim & it doesn't even break a sweat handling those big loads. They're made in America, built to last, have agitators (which actually get clothes clean) & so far, our experience with this washer has been nothing but positive.

Except for the bigger initial $ outlay, which will likely be offset by fewer repairs and/or buying new ones, the SQ AWN432S (and which, btw, I understand was manufactured prior to May 2018 Congressional mandates on appliance water usage amounts) is an outstanding washer. It doesn't have many bells & whistles; it's simply an old-school, solid performer that gets the job done. We are very pleased with the SQ AWN432S & I expect it to last 20+ years. Plus, our 20+yo Kenmore HD 60 series dryer is still going strong, having replaced the door switch & the main on-off switch, which are easy repairs for a diy'er.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

My family is very active. My daughter rides horses and works in a barn so we have a lot of very dirty, smelly laundry, including horse blankets and saddle pads. When my Maytag broke I went to a small local store that had several brands of appliances for sale. I told the salesman our situation and said I did not want anything fancy, I just wanted a "workhorse" of a washer and dryer. He recommended Speed Queen. I had never heard of Speed Queen but I trusted him and made the purchase.

THEN came home and read reviews. I saw the consumer report review that the washer didn't clean very well and of course I got very nervous. So the very first day, while I could still send the washer back, I put the dirtiest, nastiest saddle pads I had in it. These things were so awful, they stayed on the porch until time to wash. I washed them in Tide, and they came out perfectly clean! My first thought was how anyone could say this washer didn't clean well. It cleaned wonderfully well. I love my Speed Queen washer and dryer. This is a solid product that does its job well.

Original review: July 1, 2020

We bought our Speed Queen washer & dryer in 2016. We were looking for something that would last & be durable. Even though the speed queen was smaller than other washers we thought the durability would be worth doing smaller loads. We were wrong! We have had numerous issues. In the beginning we would call customer support with no help. We needed to get a technician. We called several places, but only certain people work on them. I finally found a ace close, but because I did not buy it from them they would not repair it.

The washer constantly leaks. Socks are constantly getting stuck in the rubber ring where it’s suppose to drain water. It’s disgusting! When you pull them out they are soaking wet & grimy. The little holes where the water drains get clogged so they have to be cleaned out constantly. There is an odor that lingers. We have tried to switch detergent to see if it helps which it does not. You can’t do many towels or blankets because it will throw an error code & water won’t drain. You have to unplug it to reset it. This usually leads to flipping the breaker because can’t get it pulled out to unplug it.

The dryer is supposed to have an auto shut off when the clothes are dry, but it does not work. I was told to get it fixed I would have to pull it out in a regular basis & reset the auto sensor. Sometimes the clothes are dry & sometimes they are still damp. It takes over an hour to dry a normal load of clothes. Please don’t make the same mistake we did. Buy something else, anything else! A wash board would be better.

Original review: May 31, 2020

While I'm pleased with the washing ability, I feel that the cycle takes way too long to complete. Not "speed"y at all. We've had it for 2 years now and have had no issues whatsoever aside from the length of time it takes to complete a washing cycle.

Original review: May 30, 2020

I really like my Speed Queen. I had a new LG front loader before. My clothes just kept getting dingier and dingier. But when I switched to speed Queen they were so much cleaner. It has all the settings you could want. From gentle cycle to permanent press to regular. You just can't beat the good old agitator.

Original review: May 29, 2020

I paid a little more, but I LOVE my Speed Queen. It's reliable, I can wash a big load and it gets my clothes clean - it fills up with water. The washer I had before this one was a "water saver", filling up only about half way. My clothes didn't smell clean, so I started washing only half a load at a time. Not much on energy savings, uh?

Original review: May 28, 2020

I've had this Speed Queen front loader washer for almost ten years. It has never broken down or needed any parts replaced or repaired. I do at least two loads a day and some are heavy towels and sheets. If you want a reliable, energy efficient machine that takes in large loads and gets it done - this is the machine for you!

Speed Queen Company Information