3.22/5
Based on 50 reviews that contain star ratings

Need a washer and dryer?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

50 Speed Queen Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I had this same washer before they redesigned it and it was the best washer I had ever had, LOVED it! But the redesigned washer is awful. I hate to say that, but it is true. I have had it less than a year and the spin cycle doesn't work. Nor does it clean clothes! It may be easier on clothes, but who cares if they are dirty. It doesn't spin the water out and clothes have to be dried twice. How is this easier on them? I wish they would bring back the old washer! Since my expensive Speed Queen has been a total disappoint, I have purchased a new washer with no computer parts and an agitator that isn't just for looks!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I purchased a new set of Speed Queens on 2/28/17. These are commercial grade Washers & Dryers. I have NEVER had a problem with other dryers and a friend raved about her new Speed Queen product so we decided to look into them. Since purchasing this “High Efficient” washer and dryer I have had to dry my clothes, towels, etc. twice each time. How efficient is that? I had a repairman come out. He told us the problem was in the vent. My husband had cleaned out the vent before he showed up so afterward he did it again and was given the ‘all clear’ from another service. The Speed Queen repairman came a second time.

The only thing he could tell us was that there was nothing more he could do and it’s something we have to put up with. What??? Put Up With??? Not acceptable. Today we had another repairman come out to test the heating element. His answer was the heating element was not running as it should. He will order a new part. WHAT??? A new part on a brand new Dryer? Now I realize I said it was purchased in February and this is November but please take into consideration that we are gone from June-October so this dryer was not in use at that time. This is totally ridiculous. I can’t believe Speed Queen, a company that is supposed to be the Number 1 seller of Washers & Dryers, would not replace this unit. So wrong. I will NEVER buy another one.

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

We bought this commercial washer for our apartment complex which we manage. Within 10 days of installation the machine was smoking and flooded the basement. When we contacted customer support, they said they would come out to repair it. It has now taken 3 service trips, and 6 weeks to try and fix the machine. Our tenants have been without a washing machine for nearly 2 months now, and they still refuse to simply replace it. I am extremely dissatisfied with this washer, and believe it is a LEMON! Customer service should replace it, as this is a huge inconvenience for us - but they still refuse! We are very frustrated over here.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Bought matching set in April of '18 after much research. Was not aware of redesign which changed everything! Reviews were based on '17 models and older. This washer is loud... Filling, running, just loud! Does OK job of washing... Just OK. Failed to start several times. Technician says sometimes computer board "goes to sleep..." That's nice. Paid way too much to have sub-par performance right away. Better honor that long warranty they have. Thought we had made a long term purchase. Don't take my word for it. Check the web and YouTube videos. Made in U.S.A. used to mean something. Too bad.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

After doing much research I wanted a modern somewhat efficient washing machine but with better build quality and durability than the big box stores. I love the fact that the new washing action is easier on my clothes. Some people are having a hard time with that, but this is the future. Sure the washing machines in the 70s lasted forever BUT they beat up clothes, cleaned yes, but beat up in the process. I also like the fact that they removed the transmission, one less failure point in the future. This is also the most quiet washing machine I've ever experienced. Looking forward to getting many years of service from this unit.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Speed Queen?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

We LOVE our Speed Queen TR7 washer and dryer system. Don't be misled by negative reactions based on "how" it washes. This washer does not drag expensive clothing through the washer like machines of the past. Rather, it moves the water at high speed around the tub and through the garments. The end result is the best wash AND gentler on clothing. We've had fantastic results. Heavily soiled clothes from yard work and gardening came out beautifully.

The machine is very sophisticated with so many options for wash settings. I'm enjoying the process of discovering how to wash different clothing in the best manner possible - which this machine does. There's an extended soak option available along with a pre-wash cycle. You can even delay start the machine so that the washer "sleeps" until you want it to start. This allows for the ability to have the wash finish just as you arrive home which in turn eliminates standing wet clothing. Then just toss the clothes immediately in the dryer and the wash is done! (Not leaving the clothes in the dryer after they dry helps greatly reduce wrinkling.) Thorough cleaning PLUS preserving expensive clothing makes this the best washing system available.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

After buying washers from big-box stores and poor service/quality, I elected to purchase a 2018 top load washer from Speed Queen. Decided to support products made in USA and a brand known for quality and integrity. Within 2 weeks after purchase of new washer, it would not turn on. Started keeping log of events and now (week later) the same occurrence. It has been reported there are known issues with control panel and I am very disappointed that Speed Queen would sell washers under this circumstance. I only hope that I can get a repair or a refund.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

We bought the Speed Queen front load washer and dryer in the fall of 2017. It's now almost a year later and we are absolutely as pleased as is humanly possible with them. The washer is fast and quiet and the dryer does an amazing job of drying. Doing laundry has never gone this fast! Zero problems, using less detergent than ever and saving $$$. Thank you Speed Queen!

Original review: July 15, 2018

Tried to wash clothes this week, burning smell is coming from washer. Does not spin. Machine is 4 years old. Bitter Neumann tells me it is no longer under warranty. Warranty should be at least 5 years for this kind of problem. Disappointed. Poor design. Will not buy another Speed Queen. Machine is extremely heavy and very hard to take up and down stairs.

Original review: July 3, 2018

Two weeks after I got the set the washer would randomly not turn on. If I let it sit for awhile it would start but this happened constantly. Turns out this is a known problem with some of the control panels. Why on earth would they continue to sell washers that they knew might not work! I have been waiting almost 3 weeks for a replacement part but no end in sight. If Speed Queen had any integrity they would give me a new machine. Quality workmanship and putting the customer first is a thing of the past.

Original review: June 26, 2018

We bought our Speed Queen washer (TR3000WN) through Amazon in Oct. 2016. This is the "old school" model; not "computerized." Formerly we went through several brands and models of different big-name washers, some of which were rather expensive, and most of which lasted only a few years at best. While many of the reviews of the newer Speed Queens seem to indicate that the brand is no longer as good as it once was, I can attest that so far ours has been WONDERFUL. IT WASHES THE CLOTHES. We live on a farm and have lots of dirt. The Speed Queen does not play around, but washes the clothes quickly and gets them clean. Our former "eco-friendly" washer took FOREVER and still did not do as good a job. I recommend this particular model of Speed Queen, if you can find one.

Original review: June 19, 2018

It has been 4 weeks and still have no working machine. I bought it in 2015 and have had no trouble with it until now. It seems it is impossible to get parts and when Kettle Moraine Appliance gets the parts they are shipped wrong or just can't get them. Not sure who is to blame but going to the laundry when there is a perfectly good washer right here in the house is frustrating and expensive. Machine works good, just POOR service and no help from either company. Would I buy another Speed Queen, NEVER.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Purchased the new 2018 TR7 Speed Queen Top Load Washing Machine after reading rave reviews on the Speed Queen washers. Unfortunately, Speed Queen changed the agitation mechanics of the 2018 models and this machine does a terrible job of washing clothes. It does not remove dirt or stains no matter what cycle you run it on. I've tried everything to get my clothes clean and bright but after 2 1/2 months of trying, I gave up. The local dealer told me I had to get resolution with Speed Queen.

Speed Queen told me I had to get resolution with the local Dealer. I sent pictures, made phone calls to SQ and the dealer, multiple trips to the dealer, comments on SQ Facebook and website etc. Working with the local dealer didn't get me any suitable resolution until I suggested that I would call the BBB and local TV station. Finally, SQ and the dealer got together and they decided to give me a full refund and take back the machine. Warning to anyone planning to buy the 2018 Models of Speed Queen...buy something else.

Original review: May 3, 2018

We purchased a Speed Queen washer and dryer for our new home in December 2017. I was surprised to see that we're making these for home use as I used to work for a man who had several commercial washing centers in Philadelphia. These were the best machines ever. Now after using this for a few months it takes so long to dry towels and when washing new towels this week they came out with all kinds of pulled loops on towels, hand towels and washcloths. Very disappointed with this dryer. Washer also does not have a longer time to wash. Only 29 minutes max for heavy duty. What’s up with that?

Original review: April 8, 2018

After being told by several washer repair personnel, and being told by the appliance salesman, that if I wanted to buy the best available washer, even though it was much more expensive, to buy the Speed Queen that they had on display. (Model AWN43RSN115TW01 from Edwards Appliance in Depew, NY). Delivery was made exactly on time and after the installation was completed, the delivery man said "load her up and enjoy your new washer". The first several loads were, I would say, average loads, but eventually I "loaded her up" with a large load of colored clothes. Washing process worked well and the tub drained for the most part but would not spin. Even after removing some of the wet clothes, there is still no spin cycle.

I will contact Edward's, (whom I am not blaming for the problem) to send out a repairman. In my opinion, THIS SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING TO A TOP-RATED, EXPENSIVE WASHER IN THE FIRST MONTH OF USE. I would caution anyone considering this Speed Queen washer. I will gladly change my rating if this situation improves.

Original review: April 7, 2018

Purchased our Speed Queen top load washing machine based on reviews and the excellent recommendation from our expert neighborhood appliance store. This has been the worst purchase. I agree with the other reviews. Great - wash cycle is only 30 minutes but the clothes are not clean which is unacceptable. I have been left with smelly kids' clothing, stains and loads. I couldn't tell have even been through a wash cycle, plus it’s noisy. There are even times when globs of the detergent have been left on the clothing. Not sure about the previous history of Speed Queen (which apparently was great at one time) as some have mentioned a contrast between older and newer versions. Our old front load Maytag cleaned just fine. Wouldn’t recommend but if you insist, you can buy mine (humor).

Original review: April 5, 2018

Purchased our washing machine May, 2017. Having problems with the unit. It has been to the service for 2nd time now at the Meyer Appliance where we purchased it. Since the unit is less than one year old, I have called the Speed Queen directly if we can get a new unit, but they denied our request. The unit has been in service since March 22, 2018. The first time was last year October-November, 2017. Very frustrated that we got the defective unit and they are still trying to fix it. Serial No.: 1704003888. Model: AFNE9RSP113TW.

Original review: April 1, 2018

I recently was given an almost new Speed Queen electric dryer that was discarded due to a problem that was going to cost over $400 to repair. The problem was definitely a factory defect. The problem involved the factory leaving a component out when it was assembled. This model ADEE8RGS173TW01 was repaired by me using new parts and now works properly... I have an older Speed Queen washer and gas dryer in my house and they work great but this factory defect situation on an almost new unit makes me wonder if the factory has the proper QC in place to make sure new units will indeed last a long time. I work on washers and dryers daily and I have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. Hope they correct this type of problem...

Original review: March 13, 2018

2018 washer redesign has destroyed a once-great brand. Agree with all the other reviewers who are horrified at Speed Queen's stupidity in turning their backs on their many years of embracing the traditional agitator washing machine design. Had a new model for a couple days and sent it back. Was lucky to find an old 2017 model. It's sad to see a great thing end. What were they thinking?

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I used my neighbor's brand new Speed Queen top load washer they had just bought to try it out. I was shocked at how really poorly it washed my clothes. The dirt and stains on my clothing were all still there when they came out of their new 2018 washer. There was even some undissolved soap still on my clothes. I immediately went to the local laundromat, which I dread having to ever do and rewashed my clothes to get them clean and took them home to dry them. Needless to say, I will NOT be buying a speed queen when I replace mine. Amazing that Speed Queen would make something that this bad.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I've gone as far as to check with engineers at parent company Alliance Laundry. The only water temperature options for regular cycle are HOT and WARM. Up until now, I've used cold water for most loads for a lot of years and now just waiting for my clothes to disintegrate because they haven't figured this out. Absolute worst commercial washer.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I purchased a New Speed Queen Electronic Front Load Washer and matching dryer in 12/16. I have had problems with them since day 1. The washer is not wringing out the clothes causing issues with the dryer. The washer drops fabric softener into the wash cycle so the clothes do not come out soft. I have had 8 service calls so far and they have fixed NOTHING! I am getting ready to contact the Attorney General's Office to see what can be done. This washer is supposed to last for 25 years and be fully warrantied for 5. I am so unhappy with Speed Queen and Fred's Appliance who sold me this JUNK.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I purchased a Speed Queen. Supposedly they were the best most reliable, inner parts metal not plastic. It lasted 5yrs. Now it will cost me as much to purchase a new one as it will to fix A 5 YR old machine. Supposedly last 25 yrs... ha. Shame on you...

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

When we married in 1997, my wife had a Kenmore 500 series W/D set she had bought second hand. I kept it working for years past its expiration date by installing new agitator dogs & 2 new lid switches, learning how to do so from YouTube videos. It got to where it would only work on the heavy duty setting, so we used it like that for about a year or so. Unfortunately, a few months ago it reached the point where it wouldn't drain at all so I had to empty the tub by hand (major pain) using a plastic water pitcher (regular bucket wouldn't fit).

I think the problem was the timer switch b/c nothing else seemed out of whack - the 'brain' apparently wouldn't tell it what to do when (fill/agitate, drain, spin, refill/rinse, drain, spin). In any event, a new timer switch runs around $125 & I just couldn't justify spending that much on a 20+yo machine plus we have 4 kids now so time was of the essence. After reviewing many washers, I took the plunge to purchase the SQ AWN932SP & although pricey, man, is this thing a beast. It has ample capacity & although it has a shut-off lid switch, that is easily defeated, which I also learned how to do from YT, in order to add detergent or softener anytime during the cycle. It has analog switches (no friable electronics), a real agitator, a 3-yr full warranty & 5-yr parts only warranty, it's solid & American made. It works like a washing machine should.

My only minor fuss is the spin cycle (perhaps because it either doesn't spin long/fast enough) so items come out a bit more damp than with the Kenmore, but I hope SQ is listening so that can be corrected. And that's not even a big deal - many things we hang up to air dry anyway. You'll pay more on the front end, but you'll be glad on the back end. I highly recommend this machine. I also hope the new administration will scale back many of the ridiculous regulations previous administrations imposed on manufacturers so they can make machines that work again & aren't subject to the whims of rule-making PC bureaucrats.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Purchased a matched set Speed Queen washer/dryer in June of 2013. We experienced burning smells from the dryer from day one, but really didn't think much of it. Finally, in September of 2017, the smell got really bad so we called the repairman. When he opened it up, he couldn't believe the mess he saw inside. The machine had bad connectors from day one and they had finally gotten to the point where they burned so badly inside, they almost started a fire. The repairman said it was a manufacturer defect and to contact the company. We did, and they did nothing. They didn't even apologize that they almost burned our house down.

Considering I frequently run the dryer during the night, a fire could have easily started while we were sleeping. I am stunned by the lack of customer service and am afraid to continue using the unit. The washing machine has made a noise from day one, as well, but the repairman cannot figure out where it's coming from. I am so upset that all my long research to find the best, longest lasting machines still turned up junk.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I checked this site to see if the newer model Speed Queens are as good as the old ones. Kind of mixed reviews here so I'm not sure what to think. I'm not really in the market for a new washing machine -- the one I have now is absolutely fine and has never had a repair -- but you never know what's in the future. My current machine is 28 years old. My kids are out of the house now so it isn't used daily anymore but I still run it four times a week. Since they took phosphates out of laundry detergent I do notice a lower level of cleaning, but that's certainly not my washing machine's fault. My previous machine was also a Speed Queen. I bought it used from a neighbor -- had no idea of it's age -- and it ran seventeen years. And I was doing multiple loads in those days! So are the new ones as good? I doubt it. Hope I don't have to find out for a while!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

CR never seems to review SQ products. They are expensive but built to last and perform excellent. Hard to find but worth every penny. Outside drums are steel too. Made in USA. I am so happy with mine. Newer models now have electronic controls. Buy Speed Queen! Only complaint I have is that I wish the detergent drawer came out easier for cleaning.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Our Speed Queen washer and dryer are separate units, bought at different times (washer 4 yrs, dryer 2 yrs). Both very ample capacity, perform well, and have been reliable so far. The only negative thing is they are more expensive than many other brands, but maybe they will last longer, too.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

In the 2 weeks we have had the front-loader (AFN50RSP113TW01), it has ruined 10 pieces of clothing. It is gentle but doesn't get out the stains produced by our 2 boys. Our previous washer from a big-box store lasted only 8 years, but at least it cleaned the clothes. Now we're stuck with this well-built but poor performer for a very long time. The customer service personnel at Speed Queen were very nice, but very disappointed that the company won't replace the machine with a better model at this price point.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I have had several washing machines and dryers in my life. I bought a Speed Queen washer and dryer last month thru recommendation of my appliance repair man. He told me if people would buy them they would never go back, he said I would get at least 20 years out of them. Thank goodness for him. I got the top load commercial and it is wonderful. You can actually adjust from mini loads to extra large loads. It takes 30 minutes to wash a normal soil load of clothes instead of the 116 minutes on the other. The clothes are much cleaner. The energy and water savings are great. You can have any appliance in my house. Just don't take my Speed Queens.

Speed Queen Company Information