4.16/5
Based on 999 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For more than two decades, Lumber Liquidators has been committed to providing millions of customers with quality flooring that is sustainable, affordable, and beautiful. That’s why we’ve become the market leader. We take pride in our products, we are proud to use them in our own homes, and we are proud to sell them to you.

In 2015, questions were raised about some of our Chinese-made laminate flooring products. So that our customers could be confident in the laminate flooring in their homes, we voluntarily implemented a free customer in-home air testing program in May of 2015. Working with the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), we committed to continuing the testing program in June of 2016.

Through the test program, we have tested over 1,600 floors without a single floor testing above the CPSC’s remediation guideline levels. This means that not a single floor has needed to be replaced. Despite these results, we encourage all customers who are concerned about their Chinese-made laminate floors to visit the "Quality" page under Helpful Information from our website.

Lumber Liquidators Video
Lumber Liquidators Gallery (1)
B+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 25, 2018

3084 Lumber Liquidators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 25, 2018

I’m building three new houses and I got nailed down flooring from Lumber Liquidators. They came out, gave me a quote and increased my material by 150 square feet per flooring and added a bunch of extra stuff. When I went to pick it up, they said, “Oh, what about all this other stuff?” I said I didn’t order those, which increased my bid by $3,000. The rep said, “No. Well, we came out and we measured and this is what they said you needed.” I said I didn’t need that and so, I started canceling stuff off. We went back and forth for a while and I said, “This is all I’m taking out. This is it.” And then they forgot to tell me that they charged me $25 per house to give me a bid on. I ordered the stuff on March 12th and it came almost three weeks later. And I had them change the shipping from FedEx to the store to FedEx to my house so I didn’t have to go pick it up. Overall, I would rank Lumber Liquidators up with Home Depot, that I don’t want to go there again.

Get expert buying tips about Flooring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I bought a new house and wanted to update the flooring before we moved in. I purchased a prefinished hardwood from Lumber Liquidators. So far, I love the quality of the flooring. The finish is high quality and the installation was easy. The people there at Lumber Liquidators were helpful and knew what they needed to know, and worked with us quickly.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I was on a time crunch and Lumber Liquidators had exactly what I needed in stock. The salespeople were helpful and knowledgeable too, and our interaction was pretty easy. I was able to pick up the prefinished maple flooring and get the job done. My contractor did the installation and the quality of the product is great.

Original review: April 24, 2018

The service of Lumber Liquidators was outstanding. We ordered a bunch of custom ordered Engineered Hardwood that the home owner wanted, and we brought it here, and started putting them down, but the owner didn’t want it. She said she didn’t like it. Lumber Liquidators took the flooring back even though it was a custom order, and ordered exactly what the owner wanted. And now the home owner is happy, and as long as the home owner’s happy, I get paid. I’d recommend Lumber Liquidators to anybody.

Original review: April 23, 2018

My company installed there Morning Star Bambo Flooring and within months it started lifting and separating away from the glue. Of course it's everyone else fault. The product is so bad there is class action lawsuit and product that was installed by Lumber Liquidators all is failing and listed on lawsuit. I would buy anything from them. They don't stand behind there products.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lumber Liquidators?

Original review: April 23, 2018

We had carpet and linoleum on our floor and they were all torn up, so it was time to remodel. I went to Lumber Liquidators about three times during my lunch hour and the sales rep didn't make me wait around. Every interaction we had was real quick and I was able to get everything done quickly. The rep was very thorough too. Aside from answering the questions I had, he also gave me additional information. He talked about the underlayment and told me the difference in the finish. It was really easy to purchase from them. We bought bamboo flooring and from what I've seen, I like the product. I would go back to Lumber Liquidators again.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I was renovating the second floor of my house and I purchased hardwood flooring from Lumber Liquidators. Their sales agent was great. When I went in their store, he showed me everything. He showed me different products and got my order set up. Then they shipped it here. Our transaction was real easy and the flooring looks pretty good. I’d recommend Lumber Liquidators.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I purchased a three quarter oak flooring stained black from Lumber Liquidators for a work project. My interaction with their sales rep was good. They were very professional and they had a wide variety of products.

Original review: April 21, 2018

We have an older house and the carpet was just horrible. We also repurposed the room, so we wanted something serviceable. When we went to Lumber Liquidators, we knew what we wanted to buy and the sales rep showed us what we needed and where to look. He was nice. We also asked questions which he answered. We purchased nails, the underpad and bamboo flooring but they didn’t have the product in stock, so they called the Kentucky location and we drove down there then picked it up. My husband installed the flooring and it was as he expected. Although it was a lot of hard work, he was able to do it. I just wish I have been warned about the smell of the flooring. When I walk into the room, it just smells. I've vacuumed and scooted things across the floor as well and it does scratch easily, so we must not have gotten a very good quality. Other than that, the flooring is very pretty.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I added a new room in my home and I needed floors. Lumber Liquidators's reps took me out and I made the choices. I bought hardwood floors from them and I'm unhappy with what I got. They don’t match the floors that they’re next to. They’re close but it’s like buying a chip of paint. You buy it, you love it, then you make it large on the wall and you realize it's the wrong color. That’s what happened to me. Lumber Liquidators' reps could have helped me but they didn’t. It's like a Home Depot issue because nobody likes to go to Home Depot because nobody there knows really what they’re doing. So I'd be reminded for the next 20 years that that was a lousy choice.

Also, their ad was deceptive. I bought from the Salinas store and I didn’t buy a big enough floor to make a difference in the price. They said it was gonna be X but when I got there, it was three times Y. Other than that, the floors look fine. So, I'm not dissatisfied with my experience but I wouldn’t recommend them and I am gonna shop differently next time. Consumer beware.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I bought bamboo floor for the new construction of my home. Lumber Liquidators had a good product so I decided to buy from them. Their sales reps were very good. They helped in purchasing and in holding the floor for a while. The manager there deserves a lot of praise, too. The flooring's price and quality were excellent as well.

Original review: April 19, 2018

We bought the Morningstar Bamboo flooring and within a month it separated. Then it separated 4 more places. The tongue is snapping! It’s too thin! It was installed by an experienced professional installer.

Original review: April 19, 2018

We moved to the house and it had carpets. We wanted to get rid of that so we bought some engineered hardwood from Lumber Liquidators. We also bought some flooring for the rest of the house from another company and Lumber Liquidators had the one that we wanted to match with that. Their products looked similar. Lumber Liquidators' sales reps were great and they helped us a lot. We went there several times and all the time, they had somebody to help us, give us advice, and ask us the correct questions about our floor. But Lumber Liquidators charged us right away after we placed our order and our flooring arrived a week and a half later. In other places, we got charged after the products were in the warehouse and ready to be picked up. Other than that, Lumber Liquidators have really good but limited options and I like that about them. It’s not overwhelming when you go there because other places have three thousand billion options.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I recently purchased a bamboo flooring from Lumber Liquidators for the bedroom that we were remodeling and we’re probably gonna do the whole house in that same floor. The quality was good and we installed it ourselves. However, out of the 200 square feet, there were four or so pieces that were bad on the ends. It was cracked 10 inches or so down but we were able to cut that part off and use the rest.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Just a suggestion. When a previous customer places an order and pays upfront, please have your salesman be truthful about delivery time, especially if it is back ordered. We were told seven days from April 6, now being told May 3rd. Normally I wouldn't care but I have seven adopted kids, six who are handicapped, with one in a wheelchair trying to navigate around with three rooms of furniture piled up all over the place, after tearing up flooring. Hopefully, when the company has a product back ordered, communication from warehouse will be a little more realistic. We would have held off tearing up the flooring. Hoping that communication improves as I really like Lumber Liquidators and am living in a real mess right now. Thank you and I really do like your product.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I wanted to get rid of my carpet and I purchased bamboo flooring from Lumber Liquidators. My interaction with the sales representative was fine. He told me that I had to have my old flooring taken out two weeks before I got somebody to put the wood flooring in. I had the flooring installed by Lumber Liquidators. I’ve only had the flooring in now for a week but its quality seems fine at this point, and I really liked that I could throw out the carpet. The only problem is that Lumber Liquidators needs to have better coordination with the people that they’re working with to put in the wood. I got the flooring one week after I ordered it, but it was two weeks later before it was put in. It was sitting around in the hallway of my house for two weeks and it was a bit uncomfortable to walk around with a family.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I had a carpet down in my family room and it was between 15 and 20 years old. I had trained a puppy and I had babies on it, but I wasn’t comfortable letting the little one crawl on it. So, I put the wood flooring down and I love it. I bought the Gunstock wood from Lumber Liquidators and they were great. I always asked for a little guy when I went in there because everybody else would stand around and I just had a connection with him. He was charming and he helped me match the flooring up because I already had some wood that my ex had left in the basement.

Lumber Liquidators wanted me to pay for the flooring upfront to make sure that they had it when I needed it. But I waited until the last minute when I had talked with the guy that was gonna put the floor down to make sure how many boxes I needed. I got four boxes and the little guy allowed me to return one unopened box, and Lumber Liquidators was so good and credited it back to my credit card.

My son-in-law and his young friend installed the flooring for me in one day. They got out here at seven in the morning and they helped move all the stuff outside. The dishwasher and everything went out of the kitchen, except the refrigerator which they had to move around a couple of times. Then they were out of here by seven in the evening and had actually come back in and put some molding around the family room. They were great and they did a beautiful job. But, at this point, I don’t know yet if the flooring is gonna scratch. I would recommend that Lumber Liquidators check the flooring out first and make sure about scratches and that it has the same finish on it.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I bought wood floors from Lumber Liquidators and the quality was good. They cost $5 a square foot less compared to the Home Depot floor and I see no difference in quality. I installed it myself and it was a good experience. It has only been installed for a few weeks and I hope it'll hold up.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I bought reasonably priced flooring from a very courteous group at my local Lumber Liquidator's (LL) store. This positive start has ended terribly because of the unprofessional level of service delivered by the installer associated with the company and run around from the Customer Care department. In spite of calling repeatedly no resolution has been provided or identified. If good customer service means that flooring installation is done right then the Customer Care dept seems happy to fall significantly short of that goal. I wish I could turn back the hands of time. I am providing this review to advise people to go elsewhere when selecting who to install your LL flooring- they sell great products and should stick with what they do well. Now I'll have to pay someone else to fix it.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I ordered flooring from Lumber Liquidators in Durham, N.C. First, they told me that they do not deliver and that I would have to come and pick up 2000 pounds of flooring myself, even though their own website said they did deliver. Then, when we showed up with the truck and trailer (that I had to pay for), they would not let us have our materials until we paid for the installation in full. I had already paid for the materials and some of the installation prior to ordering the materials.

Apparently, this company makes a bundle off of their customers' money by demanding payment in FULL before ANY work is done. Then they take that money and put it into an escrow account until the flooring is installed and then they "pay" the installer. Then they sit on this money and make interest off of it. I would not be surprised if they also end up paying less money to the installer than the customer is forced to pay. The customer has NO leverage if anything goes wrong because they have all your money. What a rip off. Plus the manager was sarcastic and rude when I questioned why I was having to pay the entire installment amount upfront. I will NEVER do business with them again.

Original review: April 16, 2018

The Lumber Liquidators reps were very helpful. So far the quality of their product is okay, but we have not laid it down yet as we’re having somebody put it in for us. But it was priced appropriately and I would recommend them overall.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Product listed as coming in 24” to 48” lengths. Not true. Boxes came with high content of 16 inch lengths, I would say upwards of 18%..! Far too many to weave in without the job looking choppy as it is a busy pattern with many dark to light variations. It wasn’t simply 16’s packed with 32’s to make 48 inches which would make sense, it was three 16’s packed together (double rows side by side and backed by another double row of 16’s at that!). I had purchased 22 boxes figuring in 10% for waste but had to buy 5 more boxes to complete the job! (I have a half box left) I tried to complain but was met with indifference, “It comes in random lenghts...”

Original review: April 15, 2018

Installing the flooring we got from Lumber Liquidators was harder than I expected it to be. We had carpeting in the house and when we pulled it up, we found out there was a different kind of subfloor than we expected. So, we had to put some plywood over it. In getting the first line started and getting it straight before you could use the swing hammer, you had to get several rows out and that was difficult. Once we got it going straight, then it was pretty good. We used the two and a quarter inch and our room was 14x22, so it took a long time to go just one row. It ended up taking the whole day to do the bulk of it and then because it’s raised, we decided to take it off the base mold again and replace that with new base molding. Then we had to get a new quarter round, so it turned into a bit more of a project than we thought it would be.

But we knew it would be more than just calling to have a carpet put down. We decided we would do this and it wasn’t that bad. We’ve renovated the whole house and this was the first time either me or my wife were laying hardwood floors. About a third of the way, we got into a rhythm of hammering them in. The bad thing is that when you have nice hardwood compared to hardwood that hadn’t been refinished in years, it makes the old floor look yellowy. So, we had another company sand the old one down and they redid the hardwood. We're in the middle of that right now and they’re supposed to come out today for another coat of the poly urethane that makes it shine. Overall, we had a pretty good experience with Lumber Liquidators and everybody was pretty nice.

Original review: April 14, 2018

We purchased bamboo flooring as a sample to see if we were gonna like it in the house. The Lumber Liquidators reps were very helpful and it was a great experience. We haven’t installed anything yet, but I’ll be installing it myself and it's gonna be great stuff. I’d definitely give the gentleman’s name we worked with to others and tell them to go check it out.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I wanted to do a hard floor and Lumber Liquidators seemed to be the most knowledgeable about it. Plus they had the most variety to offer. Everybody else was just doing every different thing. I purchased a Bellwood teak product and it's beautiful. Though the price was a little high, they worked with me a little bit and it was decent. The team in Kenosha was terrific and very helpful. However, their installation team was really slow getting back to me. I was potentially gonna use them, but they didn't call me for two or three days and I needed to make a decision, so I just went to my contractor. But I have some wood to bring back and Lumber Liquidators said they were gonna take it back and work with me on that. Overall, they're worth giving a crack at any project people are working on. They were patient, they worked with me and I liked them a lot.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Lumber Liquidators had the size 3 ¾ that I needed and their service was good. It was an easy transaction with them. I called on the phone, and the guy told me what I needed to know. Then I went in, and bought a little bundle of hardwood floors, and they put it in the van. I brought it down in Mississippi, and put it in the house.

Original review: April 10, 2018

We were patching up a small area and we got some flooring from Lumber Liquidators. The flooring was one of the open box things they had on sale and the quality so far is good. The sales representative was helpful and the installation was fine too.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I recently purchased utility-grade, 5-inch, cut-out flooring from Lumber Liquidators. We had wood that was pulled out of our old house and I was looking for a rustic type of wood, and I was gonna go and buy some. Other floor retailers were charging anywhere from two and a quarter dollars to as much as $4 a board for it. But Lumber Liquidators was selling that utility-grade, beat-up, good quality, rustic wood flooring that I was looking for and they were charging $1.49 a board for it, also, I could purchase and install it at any time, and that made more sense to me.

The sales reps there really know what they’re talking about and my interaction with them was very good. I installed the flooring myself and it was easy, but I’m 43 years old and it beats up the body. I put up the flooring in an office room that was like a bedroom and which measured 4' x 10', and it took me four hours to install it. It's good quality flooring and it will be there for the rest of my life. I had a good experience with Lumber Liquidators. I’d tell friends to go and see this flooring company where I bought my floor.

Original review: April 7, 2018

Beautiful floors. I love the honey distressed bamboo flooring. Easy to install. I would highly recommend. Very great customer service, would definitely be a returning customer for needs In The future. Wish Lumber Liquidators had a reward for friend request.

Lumber Liquidators response

Hello Rebecca,

Thank you for choosing Lumber Liquidators for your flooring project. Bamboo is affordable and is one of our ECO friendly products. Find more information on the care for your new floor on our website under the Flooring 101 tab. Enjoy and thank you for choosing Lumber Liquidators!

Sandra H.

Social Media Specialist, Customer Care

Original review: April 7, 2018

I liked the price so I got hardwood bamboo flooring from Lumber Liquidators. My old carpet made me decide that it was time to update my floor. Everything went really well with the sales representative. He was professional and informative. I installed the flooring myself and that was easy. I’m actually finishing the trim right now. I just got the flooring in and its quality seems good, and I like that it's easy to clean. Lumber Liquidators was professional and everything was good in my experience with them.

Lumber Liquidators expert review by Joseph Truini

Lumber Liquidators founder, Tom Sulivan, began reselling excess and unwanted wood in 1993, and the first Lumber Liquidator store opened in 1996. The company now has stores in almost every state and is headquartered in Virginia.

• Cost: Lumber Liquidators purchases their products directly from mills and manufacturers, so they can sell flooring products for less than many of their competitors. They also have sale items at further reduced prices, and interested consumers can sign up for email discounts.

• Environmentally conscious: The company only purchases wood from suppliers who have sustainable harvesting practices. They also offer a wide variety of eco-friendly flooring materials like bamboo and cork.

• Blog: Interested consumers can visit the company’s blog to get tips on choosing and installing flooring. They can also see before and after pictures from other consumers for ideas about their own flooring project.

• Price guarantee: Lumber Liquidators will match any competitor's price on the same quality of product. Consumers can receive a refund if a similar product goes on sale at a competitor's location within seven days of their purchase. If a product goes on sale at Lumber Liquidators within 30 days of a customer’s purchase, the company will also refund the difference.

• Live chat: Customers who wish to make a purchase online can receive the same service and advice they would in a brick-and-mortar location. The website features a live chat tool so customers can get immediate answers to their flooring questions.

• Best for: Budget seekers, those with pets and children, online shoppers and environmentally conscious consumers.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini

Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Lumber Liquidators Company Information