Avalon Flooring (formerly known as Avalon Carpet Tile and Flooring)

Ocean City, NJ

Compare Flooring

Research top Flooring recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

In Nov. 2015, I had Armstrong laminate flooring installed by Avalon's professional installers. I was told that they were in-house installers trained by the flooring manufacturer. When they arrived only one spoke English. He lined up the men and left to return only after the job was done. Noticed that the flooring creaked. Called installation dept. After waiting a few weeks, they sent someone out to look at floor. His recommendation was to replace floor but he would have to notify his supervisor. The supervisor came out and checked floor. Agreed that it should be replaced. Faulty material. Finally filed complaint with Armstrong. They denied it twice. Said it was an installation problem. I guess I will have to live with it. I would not recommend Avalon or anything. They do not stand by their installation or products. They just get your money and could care less about your satisfaction. Please shop elsewhere.

OC location... Very rude, not very helpful, would not give breakdown of estimated costs despite me having measurements, major attitude with salesperson I spoke with, gave me one estimate for installing an under layer for engineered hardwood of 1800.00 not including installing the actual floor. Had gotten other estimates for less than (1500.00) that to do the entire under lay and hardwood install including 4 stairs. No thanks.

I went Avalon to price 5 bathrooms in a house I am having built in Ocean City!!! After two weeks I still don't have a quote on the 5 bathrooms, I did however get a price on a travertine tile floor that was $10,000 higher than another Tile store. Don't take my word for it just be sure to shop their pricing before you agree to do business with them. By the way I even called their manager who could care less. I guess when you overcharge people that much you can afford to upset those people looking for a fair price from a reputable business. I have asked them to simply give me the names of the tile we have picked for the bathrooms since they didn't price the job, they haven't done that either. So everyday I will find a new review site to share my unpleasant experience. The Egg Harbor store is where I went but again after talking to one of the corporate manager customer service is not important to these people!

We ordered a floating vinyl, cork floor for our kitchen. When the first guy (22 yrs old) showed up, I was concerned because the appliances are heavy. He said he could handle it. I noticed when he was putting in the floor, he was breaking off the tongues that would fit into the groove. He said, "it doesn't matter it happens all the time." He had trouble moving the fridge which he did damage as a result and a Maytag repairman had to be called. His work was sloppy, miter cuts were off, and seams were not tight. I asked Avalon to come back and take out the floor and return my money. They said they would give me a new floor and a new crew. When they showed up, they only were told to replace some boards. I never agreed to have some boards replaced! The guy looked at it and told Avalon the floor was not installed properly. Avalon now agreed to replace the floor. The crew comes out now a third time, do a stellar job but were not given enough materials.

Now I have to wait for a fourth trip. Keep in mind each trip with the exception of the last, I had to hire a plumber to disconnect the stove and fridge and then come back to connect it. The job was finally completed today. In between all this, I was given time frames that were not honored, installation mgr. forgets that she is reimbursing me for fridge repair, plumber visits, and sending me a bill. I have lost time and money from my job (I am a contracting person and when I don't work, I don't get paid). Avalon - 4 visits for a stupid kitchen floor!!! Never again. BTW. They use subcontractors which we were not aware of from the beginning.

I ordered green tile, it came in white. They refuse to admit the error ed by not giving me the correct tile or a correct sample of the tile that they had. The manager was rude and made no attempt to fix his error. I would stay away as far as possible.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avalon Carpet Tile and Flooring?

Still waiting for my floor to be fixed 5 years later. Was told they warranty their work for 12 years. That's a load of bull. Was told their installers work in house. That's a load of bull. They subcontract their work to foreign speaking folks who don't speak any English. Buy from here at your own risk. Poor! Would not recommend to anyone. They take your money and that's all they care about.

As an architect I am sorry to have to report that AVALON FLOORING has an erratic record for service and installation. They left my recent installation in a state of filth. The floor was damaged by them during installation, there was glue dripped on the surface, glue oozing out of joints and the entire work area left with a thick layer of sawdust and pieces of uninstalled floor boards. AS A PROFESSIONAL, I STRONGLY ADVISE CONSIDERING AN ALTERNATIVE INSTALLER TO AVALON FLOORING.

Purchased glue down wood floors for a condo. High quality as backed by salesperson. My contractor had to tear up 60 sq. ft. after not being able to use substantial amount due to warping. Avalon did take back what turned out to be a 5/16th a very thin base and not really recommended for a concrete floor install. We were not advised of this. We subsequently purchased a much "higher quality" flooring for 40% more of cost. NO PROBLEM. We were not about cheaping out. Just wanted a beautiful floor that would last the 25 years of warranty.

Floor was installed by certified installers. 2 weeks later - floor boards began to crack!! My installer believes that flooring is cracking from underneath. I am now faced with the ordeal of having Avalon do the right thing and take up and replace floor --- I don"t want their product which I find out is manufactured in China and may have lots of defects in each carton.. I went to Avalon expecting a high quality product.. I feel stupid - taken advantage of - and am faced with a long litigious/horrible ordeal to make right. (At my own cost.)

My bathroom has been torn apart for six weeks. When I ordered my tile I was assured a time table for delivery of trim tile. All I get is excuses regarding back order, back order, back order. Do not and I mean do not buy anything here unless you actually see what you are ordering. Excuses, excuses, excuses. I'm sick and tired of their weak excuses.

I contracted with Avalon Flooring to install vinyl flooring in my kitchen based on a plan and estimate the company developed. On the scheduled date for installation, their installer determined that Avalon's installation plan was not feasible due to the width of the existing board in my kitchen supporting the flooring. The installer advised Avalon would revise their plan, but that additional materials would be required and the kitchen doors would have to be shaved after installation. He assured me that because Avalon acknowledged its error, they would complete the project without any additional cost or risk to me.

Avalon returned three weeks later and installed the flooring. However, Avalon refused to cut the doors, as had been promised by their representative when I agreed to go forward with the revised plan of installation. They disclaim any responsibility for this task, notwithstanding that I relied on their promise in deciding to proceed following their mistakes in estimating requirements for the project.

What compounded this problem is that one of the doors opens on to an unheated basement, and I was left without any notice with temperatures in the low forties to find a carpenter who will complete the work and allow me to close off the basement before it gets any colder. Avalon Flooring was penny-wise but pound-foolish in refusing to complete this work. One wonders if their reputation means anything at all to them.

Walked in greeted by a friendly desk person in front, then it all went downhill from there. I was looking around at tile samples and finally came across some that I liked. Looked around and there was hardly any associates around except for a woman who had just finished writing a sale, and I stood by the desk awaiting her to finish the conversation. She continued to drag out with the customer even after she noticed me standing there with tile samples and the customer kept trying to end the conversation with her. So I walked around and looked for another associate, yet another woman sitting at a desk working on the computer as I stood there, and a guy sitting at a laptop in another section acting oblivious.

So this 3rd woman comes from upfront looks at me and turns her head and then calls out to the woman at the desk who I am standing there waiting for and says "Hey _____ who else is working in tile today. These people need help," as she goes over to an older white couple who had just walked in... Hmmm. I said to her "yeah I need help also..." She ignored the statement and told the woman I was waiting for to go help those people.. I was livid!!!! I put three tiles back and left.. This was the most ignorant disrespectful place I had ever seen.. and the older woman they went to help looked at me and shook her head in disbelief as her husband was talking to the associate.

I was really aggravated at that point and really don't like to cause a scene, and usually just never come back to a place with bad service, but this was so over the top and all around on ALL levels of ignorance, it took me an hour to calm down and call the store and speak with some manager named Brett. Now I'm sure nothing will be done to any of those associates, because I can tell you first hand, ignorance like that starts at the TOP! People don't act like that unless they know it's okay. It is Obvious in this location that "ignorance and disrespect are ok" with that management staff.

I need everyone to know This Cherry Hill Location is very Prejudice and disrespectful. I didn't even see an African American associate, come to think of it. STEER CLEAR!!!

We purchased through a local contractor extensive hardwood flooring from Avalon Tile of Ocean City, NJ for installing throughout our living area. The product was called "Armstrong Performance Plus Cherry in Woodside Brown color". This was installed in the Spring of 2013 at a cost of over $12,000. The salesperson knew this was our 2nd home, and would be rented to others throughout the summer months. After only a few weeks of tenants that first summer, we arrived in early August that summer to find dozens of scratches throughout the entire floor consisting of many different types of scratches, i.e., not from the same source or cause. We used it occasionally ourselves off and on until June 2014 and the scratches got more plentiful and we still cannot figure out from what.

We have had hardwood floors for over 20 years in our main home and there are hardly any scratches despite raising 3 kids and having 2 dogs. The Armstrong "repair" kit was useless. All home improvement store products have failed. This product is defective. Armstrong denied our claim for repair saying that scratches were not under warranty. I just wonder why Avalon did not tell us to stay away from this product? They told us this is a "first" for them for this product, which I always find hard to believe whenever anyone tells me that. Nevertheless, no one is taking responsibility. Meanwhile, literally everyone who enters this home says "What's up with this floor?"

Our Vacation Home was flooded by Hurricane Sandy and we were advised to shop at Avalon Tile. We met with Paul ** (Salesman). To make a long story short, we selected the tile and placed a deposit. When the Tile arrived at the store 4 weeks later, I was notified by Paul that he made a mistake on the tile price and my contractor would not be able to pick up the tile until I paid him an additional $435.46. He would not honor the contract price that my wife & I had agreed on. My contractor informed me that this was not the first time he had seen Avalon Tile pull a fast one with the customer, as I was now pinned into a corner. I was also informed by Paul ** that my Listello order was short 4 pcs and he would not be able to get the Tile in stock for 2 weeks and no other Avalon Tile store had stock.

Well, now my contractor had started the job only to be delayed again. I took it upon myself to call the Avalon Tile (Cherry Hill Store) and spoke to Bruce in Sales and he informed me that they had 13 pcs in stock and he could deliver them the following day. We were so unhappy with our experience with Paul ** @ the Egg Harbor store. Paul cheated my family out of $435.46. We have just completed a Bathroom project and had a wonderful experience with Dal-Tile. Their prices and customer service are 1st class...

Carpet and wood laminate from Cherry Hill store: Let me start off by saying, when the woman came to the house to measure, she measured inaccurately how much rubber (that goes under the cabinets) they would need for the wood laminate job in my kitchen. This could not be finished with the installation of the flooring. Therefore, I withheld my 20% balance until someone came back to finish this. A few days later, someone came back to fix it. I gave my credit card number over the phone and paid the balance. About 5 phone calls later and an apology, I am still getting phone calls from them telling me to pay my balance! The latest call is today, which is 19 days after the floor was installed. I have a written receipt that was mailed to me saying I owe 0. So, there is lack of communication somewhere.

Let me backtrack. When the team came to do the kitchen floor, the foreman who spoke English left to go to Phila. and never came back in! I was left to communicate with a man who only spoke Portuguese. He did beautiful work though I must say. He cut the first piece of wood in my kitchen, with a carport/work area right out the kitchen door. Fine dust was flying everywhere. No need for this. He was about to lay the floating floor on the dirty old floor under the refrigerator. Luckily I walked by; I had a bucket and mop already out to clean under here.

The worst part is, the worker put a whole box of uncut wood minus one piece out at the curb, either for the trash men or to put back in the van that picked him up, eventually!!! I dragged it back to my patio. I said, "What are you doing? This is my wood. I paid for this!!!" The carpet upstairs was nicely laid, but the worker lost a clip to the shoe bag on the door. A shoe bag is useless with only 1 clip that fits the hole. You can't hang it! I won't use Avalon again, although I did receive an apology. After this apology, the phone calls keep coming about my bill!

We purchased Travertine tile that was displayed on the store wall. We purchased the product based on the contrast of the tiles. When we got the tiles home, there was absolutely no contrast at all. The tiles were all the same. They also had many chips and were broken. The company would not replace the tiles and said they cannot guarantee any contrast in the tiles. They should not display what they do not sell. Do not do business with this company.

My grandparents went there and were completely taken advantage of. They were sold crap carpet at a really high price. The carpet is completely worn through from two old people who barely walk around in their apartment. I am just so upset with their business practices. Seniors beware!

My 85yr.old mom purchased a berber carpet for our LR,DR.and hallway back in March 2009.They started with a price at $2,200.00.Came down to $1,600.00 for the same carpetwe wanted.When their installers came to lay the carpet,they were putting the seam in from of the front door.I tpld they right away I did not want the seam there to show in front of the entrance.They said had no choice.I Called the store to complaint about the seam.they said has to be this way.We were so angry,and disappointed.

They called the installers to show them.Not only with the seam being in the wrong place,they covered the double socket on the floor I tolded them about that.They cut a square out for that but did not put the plat over the square for the socket.I had to call the store to tell them no plat on socket and we are not happy with the carpets at all due to the seam being in front of the front door.They came back to put the plat on but did not screw it down to the floor.

So,when I moved the sofa I had this lose plat under the sofa.In fact it is still that way as I type this letter.Two weeks ago I vacuumed the carpet and 3ft. of the seam came apart.Now we have 3ft. of seam that is 1/4 inch wide.I stopped the vacuum right away and could not believe my eyes.The vacuum pulled up a long thread and took it apart at the seam.This is not normal for this to happen.Now,I stay away from the seam with the vacuum.Is this crazy or what.The guy that figures out the layout of the carpet and draws the diagram of the layout came over to see what happened .

They offered to mend it and fix it but,I"am not willing for them to just fix it.I told him I was taking him to court.He said fine,see you in court. So,he did about face and out the door.He was very nasty to us.We are still very unhappy with the carpets.We hate the seam and now it is wider in front of the door.We do not have money to waste,and that is my 85yr.old moms money she worked very hard for.Could you please help us to get new carpets put down without the seams in front of the door.Why would this seam come apart as it did.We want them to make good for this carpet.I do not want a piece of carpet put there at the seam to cover up their mistakes

Avalon Flooring (formerly known as Avalon Carpet Tile and Flooring) Company Profile

Avalon Carpet Tile and Flooring