3.78/5
Based on 1,653 ratings submitted in the last year
Show rating distribution

Empire Today

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1959, Empire Today® has provided Carpet, Hardwood, Laminate, Vinyl, Tile Flooring, and Window Treatments to over 2 million satisfied customers. Offering quality, name-brand products, Empire Today can help you find the product you want, within your budget. Empire brings hundreds of samples to your doorstep. During your free estimate, an experienced Sales Representative will help you choose a floor, take room measurements, and provide an all-inclusive price estimate. And, there’s no need to wait weeks - professional installers can install in-stock styles as soon as the next day. Offering competitive low prices and comprehensive warranties, Empire Today is committed to ensuring your Carpet and Flooring installation experience is top notch and handled by qualified and experienced contractors.

2016 American Business Awards:

The Stevies Company of the Year - Consumer Products - Bronze Winner

The Stevies Company of the Year - Customer Service Department of the Year - Consumer Products - Bronze Winner

Empire Today Video
Empire Today Gallery (5)

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 18, 2017

4151 Empire Today Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Empire Today had installed the laminate wood floors on our first floor. I like its color and they did it all in one day. I had a great experience. However, we lost the floor and the rest of the house in the flood two weeks later.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

The laminate wood flooring and the vinyl flooring installed by Empire Today got lifetime warranty on them. The laminate was installed in the front living room, the dining room, and the hallway, while the vinyl was installed in the kitchen area. The color is nice. We like it because it matches everything that we’re doing in the house. My wife loves it. It was a pretty good experience.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

After I’d seen a lot of Empire Today's ads on TV, I went on their website and found the color that I was looking for. I had them install a carpet in my living room and hallway. It was a really smooth operation, and the installers were very good. Empire met my expectations and I already told many of my family members and friends about them.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I have an older house and I had that old white floor with the little pocky holes in it with the dirt wood. I would scrub it with an iron brush but the dirt never came out so it looked like my floor had freckles. I wanted wooden floors for the kitchen and I saw the Empire Today's commercial about half off prices so I called them. Bryan came out and I picked out exactly what I wanted.

It was absolutely stinking hilarious that the installers went to South Hickory Trail instead of South Hickory Road so every time they'd hit North Degree Trail, they thought they were going too far so they kept going back looking for me way down the road. They called and I couldn't understand a word they were saying. I kept telling them to come towards 59, and they finally followed me. They finally got here an hour late.

Ali and Solom were great guys but we had quite the conversation. I was expecting the floors to be one piece, not interlocking, and it took them five hours but they did a great job. They took their lunch in the van because of the fresh air and they came back in. They kept working and they never really stopped or even talked. I watched them and even when they were only a quarter of the way done, I knew I was going to love it. The floor is smooth and pretty, and it matches my cabinets almost perfectly so it looks like a new kitchen. I should have done it years ago. They also did a step-in where you come in from the garage then you step up into the kitchen and then they did a small bathroom also so everything matches and I'm very happy with it.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Empire Today installed carpet in our living room and the stairs about a month ago. We needed it done quickly. They came out and measured on a Friday. By Monday, they were installed and everything was great. It was awesome.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Empire Today?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I had my carpeting done by Empire Today before so I reached out to them again. I'm happy with the carpet they installed in my living room and dining room. The carpet people were good and the job was a success. This time, I had them install vinyl flooring in the kitchen and bathroom, but something was wrong with the bathroom so they had to redo that. I'm not 100% positive about the flooring job, but they did most things correctly. I wanted it to cost a little less but all in all, they're good people and easy to work with.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I was looking at what Costco had but there was a person at work who had some work done by Empire Today and they were happy with it. That swayed me to go and use Empire Today, too, though their products were a little more expensive that Costco's. I had them install wooden, laminated flooring at my home. It’s different from rugs and I like the look of it. The working shift was good and the installers broke their bones and did a nice job.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Empire Today’s pricing and explanations appealed to me and I had them install hardwood laminates in the living room, dining room and in the hall. The cherry color is my favorite feature but I had a little concern about the opening of the door wherein the part that goes in front of the door kind of raised up. They came out, looked at it, and explained to us that it was normal and that it had to swell. I liked the way they got back to me and how fast they did it.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I appreciate Empire Today's professionalism. I shopped around with Home Depot, Lowe’s, and what people called Flooring Direct or Flooring America. However, I had dealt with Empire before a number of years ago. They did a house full of carpet. I liked the way they did business and I knew I could rely on them. I had them install carpets of two rooms, the hallway and a laminate flooring in the extended living room. I liked the carpet's combination of price and color and the way it went together with what I had already had.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I had Empire Today install a new carpet and my expectations were met. I had used a different company many years ago for my hardwood floor and I was not happy with them. We have blinds from Empire so I did not even look at other companies. The only thing I was not happy with my recent experience with them was the salesperson. When he came in, he wore shoes on my carpet to measure it. Only the installer put the covers. So, if I hadn’t changed it, that would’ve annoyed me. Other than that, it was a good experience.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I liked the presentation that Empire Today gave me. Their prices were similar to other brands, but the color of their carpet was a major factor in my going with them. They installed the carpet and padding downstairs and up the stairs. They even gave me the installation date and time that I wanted. But I forgot that I was going to paint and my other carpet still had paint on it, so I told them to put the carpet in after I was done with the painting.

Another good thing about Empire was that the contractor they used to put the carpet in was very efficient and they cleaned up after themselves. So, I was very pleased with the contractor that they used. But what I didn’t like about Empire was that they wanted me to pay even before they had put the carpet in. I was working with contractors and didn't have a problem paying, but I needed to see the work before I completely paid them. For me, that’s the way to do business. If Empire had confidence in their business, then they should be able to say, "Okay, fine. The check is right here." Other than that, everything else was good and I've already recommended them.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

We had Empire Today install wood floors in three bedrooms and a hallway on the second floor of our 1,800-square-foot home. The price was good and the engineered wood that we got is holding up very nicely, but the molding or trim that they used to finish up the floor was of poor quality. We spent $1,000 for the new trim to be put on the baseboard. The salesman who came told us that if we wanted a certain kind of trim, we should go and buy it. He made it sound like they were going to take the old trim, but they didn't. The installers pulled all the carpet out and put in the planks of wood, but they left the old trim.

Once the installers had ripped out the carpet, the floor was a lot deeper, and the trim that we picked out and bought was too short. That was partly our fault since we didn’t get the trim measured and we listened to a salesman who did not know what he was talking about when it came to that. We returned what could be returned, but we took a $200 loss on what we couldn’t return. Then we painted the new trim to match. Now we’re telling anyone and everyone who will listen to get a professional to come in and evaluate the trim and anything else that they want to tweak their wood floors with. But the workmen who did the floors were very nice and courteous, cleaned up very well, and did everything they could to make the transaction very smooth.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I needed a carpet installed in a rental property and had the property’s wall all painted before I had Empire lay the carpet in it. However, I had to repaint the walls in every room that they did it because the workers scratched it up when they laid, rolled and cut the carpet. It wouldn't have been so bad if it was at the bottom, but it went from the center of the walls down to the floor and made impressions on it. I was a little discouraged there, I didn't reach back to anybody and just redid it. I wasn't very happy with the experience and I wouldn't go back.

Dawn,
    Your concerns are important to us, and we'll be further investigating this matter.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I’ve used Empire four times before and this time, they installed carpet in our family room. We got the least expensive carpet and its quality was comparable to other brands. Our experience was pretty rudimentary.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I used to do carpet years ago so I looked at Bishops, Armstrong, and different ones, but Empire Today had been around for a while and both my nieces work for them so I went with Empire Today. In terms of the quality, it is up there with the other brands and it should be a good 15-year carpet. The installation went smoothly except that they should have put a better strip at the bottom of the stairs. Other than that, Empire did pretty well.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

My wife and I have been wanting laminate wood flooring in our house for about 10 years now. I decided this was the year we were going to get the wood floors - just in time for my wife's birthday on the 24th. A guy by the name of Lawrence came out to meet with us. We picked out the laminate we wanted (scratch proof and waterproof) and applied for financing which we were approved for. Lawrence explained that a benefit of going through Empire is that they hire people to work directly for them as opposed to places like Home Depot and Lowe's who sub-contract out projects and you never knowing who you are going to get to do the job. We got "cold feet" at the end because of the total cost of the project.

Approximately 2 days later we had a voicemail from a lady named Lisa who stated that they could come down in price while still giving us the same product we wanted. We were very excited and pleased that they wanted our business enough that they were willing to come down in price. We set an installation date for Saturday, October 14, 2017. The guy did a good job calling us on Friday to confirm our installation and twice this morning letting us know when they would arrive.

From there things went downhill. The guy knocked on our door one time and let himself in. He didn't not introduce himself. He just said he was here to install our floors. Since he did not introduce himself we do not have his name but he appeared to have a Bosnian accent. Less than 5 minutes of being here he announced he couldn't install the floors. The guy said he did not have the proper baseboards (he said they loaded the van with 3 inch baseboards and he needed 8 inch baseboards. He also did not have transitions from the hallway to the living room and the entryway into the living room). He also said he did not have the proper saw to cut the baseboards. I was told that there would be approximately 27 cartons of flooring to do all the areas needed but there were less than 16 in the van.

At this time, I called Lawrence and left a message. While I was waiting for Lawrence to call back the guy with the Bosnian accent told me my house was "built wrong" and it was "** up". (Saying this in regards to our sunken living room.) I could not believe that a man that was in my house to provide a service told me my house was "** up." About 20 minutes later I received a call back from Lawrence and I explained the problem with the baseboards and saws and Lawrence then asked to speak to the Bosnian guy. Once I got back on the phone with Lawrence he asked me if I'd be willing to do the kitchen floor as well since the kitchen flooring also drops down into the sunken living room. I told him that was not what was in our contract and no, we did not have the money to include the kitchen. Lawrence than said we would have to reschedule because it is a "special project" and they will need to send out another team to do it.

He told me that he was going to call the Installation manager (Aaron) and if he couldn't get a hold of him today then he would talk to him on Monday. Lawrence called back 5 minutes later and said that he DID get a hold of Aaron and that Aaron should be calling us right away. This was around 9:30ish and it is now 2 p.m. and we haven't heard anything.

We are hoping Empire makes this right. If what Lawrence said is true about your company hiring people to work directly for you then you need to consider some training for the people you hire. I would never in a million years knock once on someone's door and let myself in and not given a handshake or introduce myself. I MOST certainty not use the word "**" to describe a customer's home. Also, it should have been explained to us that it would have been beneficial to do the kitchen at the same time as the living room prior to signing a contract for the work that was to be done. If in fact our house is "** up" because of a sunken living room then you guys may want to consider not doing business in our neighborhood, Idlewood Acres, because there are many homes in our neighborhood with sunken living rooms.

Also, we were also told by Lawrence that they would be responsible for moving our furniture which was a plus for me as I have recently had knee surgery. Upon receipt of the contract we saw where it said WE are responsible for moving the furniture. Disappointing that the information we received in order to make a decision about going through Empire is different than the wording in the contract.

At this point we are wondering if it had been better to go with Lowe's or Home Depot. We are hoping this gets resolved prior to receiving the first billing statement as I refuse to pay for work that hasn't been completed in my house. The Empire sign is NOT in our front yard as we cannot at this point and time recommend your company to others.

Charles,
    We're disappointed to hear about your installation experience, and assure you that this is not the level of service that we expect for our customers. We'll be in touch with you soon to learn more.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

All of the carpet in our house is from Empire and recently we got carpeting installed in our basement by them as well. Going through the experience with Empire before, we were satisfied so we really didn't look anywhere else. We were considering doing tile down the basement but when we thought about making it more of a homey place and if we have sleepovers, then it would be a much more softer textile. Empire has been fast and efficient and if we're going to do carpet, we're going to go right with them.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Empire had been in my mind over time after all the commercials they used to run. And when I needed new carpeting, they're the first person I thought of even though I don't see the commercials as often as I used to. I had them lay a carpet in our living room and hallway, and I love it. The workers did a great job. If I needed anything else, I would want the same two guys here.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

At the time I looked at Empire Today, they were being advertised on the television, so I picked them to install carpeting in our dining room, living room, and family room. The people that installed it were so good. The new flooring is much better than what I was walking on before. Everything was perfect and I was very satisfied with the experience.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I heard Empire was a good company. The other companies were going to take a month to get to me, and I don’t have time to waste. Empire was able to do it earlier so two days later, I decided to go with them. The installers were very professional and installed the carpet for the whole house. I liked the color and shade of the carpet and for the price, it's good. I would definitely recommend them to a friend, family or anybody. I was very happy with Empire. They were very professional and did an awesome job.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I’m enthusiastic about the service that Empire Today has provided me. I had carpet installed in the hallway, the family room, and the dining room. I heard Empire’s ad, and of course, the half-price factor somewhat convinced me that it was good, price-wise. I was very happy to decide on them. The color was close to what I had before which I liked. I just have to block now the entrance to those rooms with the carpet because of my little Yorkshire Terrier. I had her perfectly trained but she’s having some problems and was wetting on the carpet. I love the carpet so much, I don’t want her to stain it. I’m very satisfied with Empire Today.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I initially made a purchase for the living room to be done and then decided to redo the basement so we did the whole house instead. We've been strung along for a while by Home Depot. First, they ordered the carpet then they didn't order the carpet. They had to go through their distributor and then they couldn't install it for another four weeks after that. So we cancelled them and decided to buy carpet from carpet people. I needed to get the house on the market and Empire Today could get the job done right away. Also, their salesman and installers are really good. The salesman was very nice and he told me what carpet they've got and what I can do. I also didn't have to explain on the colors.

Empire installed carpeting for the upstairs and downstairs. The guys didn't tear up any walls or anything and did the installation quickly. The carpet looks professionally installed and cannot go with the seams. The carpet held up very well and fitted so well on the house. We also picked the carpet with the short nap so it's easy to keep clean. So, I'm a happy customer and I've already recommended Empire Today to somebody else.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

We had vinyl flooring and carpet installed in the kitchen by Empire Today. The installers were very professional, did what they were supposed to do, and cleaned up after themselves. We had a very good experience with Empire and they met my expectations.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

We had Empire Today install the carpet for a duplex after we’ve seen and liked the carpet they installed for a family member. We were also given the impression that we would get some sort of discount on it if we also chose Empire Today. We like the product now that's in the facility, especially the color and the price because it was discounted. However, we didn’t get the discount that we thought was in the works, that was supposed to be refunded to our card. I’ve contacted them but I haven't heard anything other than, "Oh yes, it will be credited on the 18th” which was fully two weeks after it was installed and yet we've seen nothing.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Empire Today had a sale and we purchased laminated floors from them. We had them install it in the bedrooms in our house. I like the color and it’s pretty easy to clean. The installation team was on time and they did what they had to do. They were quick and very professional, too, and I am very pleased with the job.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

We had Empire Today install carpet, hardwood, and tile into our home. Compared to other brands, the cost was better and overall, we're happy with our experience.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I had carpeting installed and everything was great until I noticed that seam between the two rooms was coming apart so I called and was told I had to pay $80 service call. A man arrived on Aug 24 2017 and took pictures of the carpeting and said it would take 7-10 days. I waited 2 weeks. Made numerous calls with no call back.

Finally talked with someone that stated it can take up to 3 weeks for review, so waited another two weeks. Made numerous calls and no call back, finally talked to someone on Oct. 5 2017 to hear that my carpeting could not be fixed that I could have my carpet replace and since my carpet was discontinued I would have to select the new carpet. Was told a rep would be at my home Oct 10 2017 to select carpet. Well to no surprise no one showed, called later in the day and was told I would get a call back. No call, called again today. Finally talked to someone. They couldn't tell me why no one showed but would have taken care of by Friday which is October 13. Was told I would get called back. Guess what? No call... Very disappointed and considering never doing business with Empire again.

Lisa,
    We're sorry to hear that you're unsatisfied, and sincerely regret the inconvenience. We've located your account, and we'll be in contact with you soon.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I had carpeting, luxury tile and linoleum installed by Empire Today. They worked on our living room, bathroom and an entry. I like their warranty and the price that the other brands couldn’t touch when compared to. Also, the items were wonderful and the colors were fabulous. I love my carpeting as well. However, I had an issue with the workmanship that was put in the bathroom. The gentleman who came at 7:30 at night was overworked and when he did the bathroom, some of the tiles had spaces in them. For a small bathroom at $730, they could've done a better job and I'm not happy with the finish the longer I look at it.

In addition to that, he was a day late when he got here. I had the automatic call that said I was on schedule for that day, but I felt like I was held hostage because there were no phone calls to say that no one would be here. So, that was set up for three days because they said installation would be done by a different person. It was one of the things that they need to work on. On the other hand, they were good at contacting the customers.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I researched and found that Empire had a good price and they stood behind their product. They installed a palm tree-colored carpet in three bedrooms. I picked out the thickest padding and it was nice and soft. It was a professional experience.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Empire had put down hardwood floors and carpeting in our house a couple of years ago, and I went back to them. I called them and when their representative came out, I showed her what I had down. My husband wanted the hardwood floors before he passed away, but I can’t stand them, so I wanted Empire to be able to cover it and to match the carpet as well as they could. The rep was very helpful and she made telephone calls to the people that she needed to find out if they still have the same carpet.

And this time, which was the fourth time we’ve had Empire do something in our homes, they put carpet in my living room and hallway. I like its color, and it matches what’s in the rest of my house. The people that did the work are very conscientious. They had accidentally covered a couple of outlets on my floor, but they were very helpful and they came back out. They found them and made sure they’re visible for me to use, so I appreciated it.

Empire Today Company Information