Call toll free
3.64/5
Based on 1,657 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1959, Empire Today® has provided Carpet, Hardwood, Laminate, Vinyl, Tile Flooring, and Window Treatments to over 2 million satisfied customers. Offering quality, name-brand products, Empire Today can help you find the product you want, within your budget. Empire brings hundreds of samples to your doorstep. During your free estimate, an experienced Sales Representative will help you choose a floor, take room measurements, and provide an all-inclusive price estimate. And, there’s no need to wait weeks - professional installers can install in-stock styles as soon as the next day. Offering competitive low prices and comprehensive warranties, Empire Today is committed to ensuring your Carpet and Flooring installation experience is top notch and handled by qualified and experienced contractors.

2016 American Business Awards:

The Stevies Company of the Year - Consumer Products - Bronze Winner

The Stevies Company of the Year - Customer Service Department of the Year - Consumer Products - Bronze Winner

Empire Today Video
Empire Today Gallery (5)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

6086 Empire Today Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Carpet keeps bucking and was knee kicked twice, once for free and once I paid for. Every year it buckles. You have to pay 100.00 dollars every time you need service. Called Mohawk company since that is the make of my carpet to make a claim about this carpet's problem. They told me by Mohawk guidelines the carpet should have been power stretched. Told Empire about this and all they can say is that it will cost 100 dollars!!! They only care about their money and not that the carpet was stretched improperly on their part, which in turn I may not had all these problems!!!

Empire Today response

MaryJo, we regret to hear about your experience. We've located your account, and we'll be in touch with you shortly to learn more.

Get expert buying tips about Flooring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I’d be giving zero stars if that was an option. I’m so dissatisfied with Empire and their customer service that I will NEVER use their services again. All I wanted was new carpet installed and my doors cut down so I could use them with the new carpet. That is WAY too much to ask. It started with the sales person telling me I could leave big furniture in the room and the installers would move it around as necessary... that’s not true. Then, a separate team needs to come out to cut down your doors. They will literally NEVER show up and not call to tell you their other jobs took too long so they won’t make it. I’m on my third appointment and it’s going on almost 2 weeks after the carpet install and my doors aren’t cut down. I’ve escalated to several managers and they don’t care. They won’t even give me a discount for all of the trouble they caused me. I would highly discourage anyone from using this Empire.

Empire Today response

Kelly, we apologize for the inconvenience. Your concerns are important to us, and we'll be in touch with you shortly.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Stay away! I set my appointment and paid my deposit 2 weeks prior to installation. When making my appointment I was told the installers would be able to remove the pedestal sink in the restroom to install flooring. On the day of installation, the installers came into my home and never greeted me just spoke to each other in Spanish. They then told me they couldn't start the installation because they couldn't remove the pedestal sink and left. After a week of calling Empire and trying to speak to a supervisor, I finally was able to speak to one. The supervisor apologized and reset my appointment for another day. On my second appointment the installers told me that they too were unable to remove the sink and left. I called Empire to cancel and get my deposit back.

After 2 days I reached back out to confirm the cancellation. I was told that a cancellation was never submitted! I reached out to the salesman Zach who signed me up. I let him know how displeased I was since he told me the installers would be able to remove the sink. He apologized and assured me on the next appointment & on another day they would make sure the installers were capable of removing the sink. Today the 3rd installer came. He was able to remove the sink and install the floor but, Empire didn't supply him with all needed material and I was sent to Home Depot to spend my money after, already paying Empire $1000. The job today took 9hrs! NIGHTMARE!

Empire Today response

Brittney, we understand your frustration and apologize for your experience. We'll be following up with you shortly, thank you.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

The sales contract guy showed up, gave us a quote for a laminate flooring install. Just for a reminder we lived in the Syracuse NY area and had a contractor install a laminate floor in our dining room. Fast forward to our house in NC... Installer shows up this AM with the "quality flooring product." I looked it over and found the quality of a poor grade. The piece I looked at was a mere 1/4 to 3/16 thick and the exposed fiber tongue, broke off with little effort. I remember the quality of the floor installed in my home in NY, which was at least a half inch thick and was of much better construction and was solid to the touch.

The sample that the sales guy had didn't show this poor quality and the price was equitable to the product used in the NY home. I'm not sure why this flimsy product was not properly displayed, by the salesman. We surely would not have selected this product. Please check the quality of the samples the salesman shows you before selecting inferior materials, and causing undue stress and wasted time. We had to select a different product and wait to have the sales guy requote it, and adjust the budget for the entire bottom floor of our NC home.

Empire Today response

Walt, we understand your frustration and regret to hear about your experience. We've located your order, and we'll be in touch with you shortly to start working on a resolution.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I scheduled a free estimate on 10/7. On that day I picked the flooring of my choice. It was originally scheduled to be installed on 10/14. On that day no one showed up. The scheduler called and said the installer had food poisoning and could not make it. I understood and rescheduled for the following day. Although I was told it would only take a day to install I had planned two days off of work because I suspected it would take at least two days so I was not alarmed. On the next day I waited at home from work no one showed up. I got a call by the end of day asking to reschedule for the following day, with an apology from the scheduler.

I explained I could not take off another day in a row. The scheduler promised someone would be there on the third day, because I have to work for a living taking off three days in a row would possibly put my job in jeopardy. So I rescheduled for 10/23. The floors were finally installed and looked beautiful with one problem the installer left three boxes of flooring at the warehouse and I had to reschedule again for the completion of the job. Again I am understanding I said ok. This time rescheduling for 11/6, on that day no installer showed, by this time I am frustrated and decided to go to work on the following day and wait until the installer contacted me before making sure I was home for the install.

The following morning I get a call from the installer saying he had a problem the previous day when would be a good time for him to install the flooring. My response was because it was a storm this morning I don’t have any lights but he could come anytime today. He assured me he would have his generator and had to pick up the flooring and would be on his way. I again stay off work waiting this day no one showed up no call or anything. I called the scheduler and left a message then called customer service. So here it is a fifth day I am waiting for the finalization of this project.

If I keep taking off for this I may not even have a job to pay for the flooring that I am under contract and obligated to pay for in full. I regret choosing Empire Today but 85 % of the job is complete and it would look too bad to have this unfinished. I am so frustrated with this process and the time I have invested for a job I was told would be completed in one day; now that one day has turned into 4 weeks.

Empire Today response

Tameka, this is not how we want our installations to go. We'll be looking into your concerns shortly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Empire Today?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Empire Today installs tile. They do. They eventually did install tile. However this took 7 DAYS of waiting 8 am-7 pm for them to show up. Admittedly one time this was the installers coming and saying, "Hey it rained all day. We can't install tile today." Sounds reasonable. It was a variety of interesting silence - I'd get a call around 8 am to say my tile will be installed today... And then nothing. No calls, no show. Take off work? Better devote a week or two of vacation days to use this company. And the fun only starts then. So they install your tile. Found a water leak made my slab totally saturated with water in one corner. Remember that bit about rain? Now it doesn't apply and they say the tile will go down no problems. Moisture meter to measure concrete water saturation levels? Ha! They came back the next day (around 5 PM!) to grout.

They make mistakes - no transition strip, moldings installed inconsistently. The installer didn't have a measuring tape so eyeballed the trim moldings after the tile was installed. You can guess how that looks after they left. And oh? My toilet is overflowing after they took it off and put it back. Aw shucks, I understand must be unrelated right? Plumber augers the toilet and removes GOBS of wax stuffed into the toilet. My nice new floors are covered my swirled feces. Great. Empire says they'll reimburse me. I notice some pieces of my toilet are missing too. Installers threw them away! So I have to order new plates to the toilet, (covers the bolt holes). So I work with corporate they apologize sound nice, and schedule service. No call no show. Call corporate again, they apologize, and guarantee the repairman for the toilet will be here by 5.

4 rolls around, and the guy calls me and says he'll be around 6-7. I'm unhappy but after almost ten visits for 120 square feet of bathroom tilework, I acquiesce. It's 8 PM now. No show. Go figure. I feel ** more than serviced. 80 hours of my time wasted for $15 a square foot tilework I could get done by others. I thought using a big company would be a good idea. I will never trust them again. It's not over though, I still need the installation finished.

There's a gash in the floor between my admittedly nice looking tile and my other flooring, (which is another story - the salesman promised a tile pattern transition strip, but plain metal is all the company says they have now.) I'd be happy to have anything, the job is undone almost two weeks later and I have nothing but wasted time and annoyance, poorly installed trim, and questions whether this flooring install is going to last. No warranty is given for the tile staying down, only for the pattern not wearing off... I wouldn't trust them if you want to retain basic self respect.

Empire Today response

Aryeh, thank you for making us aware of this matter. We'll be looking into your concerns right away.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Empire rep came 10/31, gave estimate of nearly $9000 to replace old hardwood floors and subfloor on 1st floor. We put down $50 deposit "to lock in the rate." 11/5 salesman returned and we put 1/2 down and applied for and received financing through Wells Fargo - pay in one year, no interest. Installation to run two days, set for 11/8. So far, so good.

Installer/sub-contractor came on 11/7 to "make sure there'd be no problems." It's an old house, has been settling over time. There is definitely a slope in the front room. It's part of the reason we contracted for removal of old floor and sub-floor and new installation. Contractor claimed it would be an additional $2100 to "level the new subfloor." That's some expensive wood on top of the to-be-exposed beams - that makes it an $10,000+ job. We said we'd pass, and initiated cancellation process. Surprise! The start date for our job was suddenly 10/31 (the "lock in the rate" day) rather than 11/5 (the day we actually made the downpayment and were approved for financing), or 11/7 (the day the actual contractor tried to upsell us for $2100) or 11/8 (the day work was to begin).

There is a 3 day Buyer's Remorse window on electronic cancellation (but no email address in the paperwork to which to send) and 5 day for Empire to receive (not for us to send) by mail. So we missed that boat. Called Empire to cancel. Was told they would refund $3100 of the $4000 downpayment to the card we paid on. Or, and this is the kicker, they could lower the additional charge to $100 and we could go ahead with the job. So, lose $900 or pay $100 more - unless additional problems arose once the work started. Have to say, we weren't feeling very trusting at this point. Canceled the job, filed dispute with the credit card company. We'll see.

Empire Today response

Steve, we’re disappointed to hear about your experience, and we’re having trouble locating your account. Please email your contact information including: street address and phone number listed under your order to customersupport@empire-today.com. Be sure to mention Consumer Affairs in the subject line.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I'm absolutely disgusted with my entire process with Empire. From the beginning the customer service was the worst. Had flooring and baseboards installed in my half bathroom. 3 months later the paint on the baseboard is bubbling up. Contacted Empire only to be passed around. Submitted pictures and I had to call back every other day until someone would help me. Only for the lady to tell me that it looks like moisture damage and I may have a leak in my walls. I just purchased my home, full inspection and just had all plumbing done in that bathroom, no leaks! But it's also a bathroom so if the baseboard cant withstand moisture why install it in a bathroom? It's a faux wood baseboard. The bathroom doesn't have a bath or shower and the damage isn't behind a sink or toilet. Save yourself the headache and go with a company who will stand behind their customers and not use cheap products in your home. A complete waste of my money.

Empire Today response

Cassandra, we regret to hear about your experience. Your concerns are important to us, and we'll be in touch with you shortly.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Our floor was installed in July, 2017, and by July, 2018 it was falling apart. There are several planks that are peeling along the edges (like contact paper!), and some planks look like they are going to pop up. Trying to get service is a nightmare. Appointments have been set and missed, phone calls scheduled and not received. I am an elderly consumer and have dealt with many business over the years. Never have I had such poor service.

Empire Today response

Philana, we thank you for bringing this matter to our attention, and regret to hear that your floor is not meeting your expectations. We've located your order, and we'll be in touch with you shortly to learn more, thank you.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I have pages of details about why you should never give this company your business, but long story short, my bank refunded me because Empire Today wouldn't and now they have sent me to collections because they won't honor the refund. The customer service is a disgrace, the product is a cheap knock off, and the "warranty" is a joke. I can't get a single installer to come repair the numerous issues with our carpet. Empire Today was supposed to send a sample of our carpet to the Shaw Mill in Georgia, which would have required a claim number, guess what, no sample sent, no claim number, no record of Empire sending a sample, just a lying customer service manager named Ashley ** telling me they sent it to the mill and all came back fine, yet she is offering a full tear out and reinstall of the same carpet for 1000$ off... NO THANKS.

I refuse to do business with Empire Today after the crap they have put me through for 4 months. Not to mention the sexual harassment from the installers. I have 7 claim numbers and pages of notes from my ordeal with Empire Today with no resolution. They are even refusing to come do any repairs now that I got my money back from my bank! DEPLORABLE BUSINESS! RUN FAR AWAY! If a rep that's willing to do something about this wants to call me, or email me, please do! It would shock me to get some answers and real customer service!

Empire Today response

Jillayne, we're sorry to hear about your experience and apologize for this matter. We'll be in touch with you shortly to learn more, thank you.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I ordered window treatment for my home! I didn’t get the blinds I want and when I got a person on the phone to resolve this problem! They wanted to charge me more money to get what I ordered in the first place! They took the salesman word over me! Don’t order anything from this company.

Empire Today response

Joan, thank you for making us ware of this matter. We'll be further reviewing your concerns, thank you.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

This was the absolute worst experience I've ever had with a contractor. Empire Today came out and gave me a quote, the following day a rep called to say they could come down on the original quote because the materials were in stock. I said the quote was great and asked if they could honor the $250 coupon offered online for signing up for their emails. The rep said absolutely, and that he would call to confirm. I called him on Friday to confirm and he said there were no issues and our installation date on Tuesday was good to go as well as the quoted price to include the coupon. He then calls me first thing Saturday morning, when none of their offices have a manager/supervisor available, and says he can't honor the quote given and it would go up. I was told a supervisor would call me first thing Monday morning.

I can't get Empire Today to answer me, I can't get me in touch with a supervisor, and now they are telling me there's no way to honor my installation date. Every time I ask to speak to someone they put me on hold and when they finally get back on the phone they tell me that "someone will contact you in about 24 hours". Empire Today is a SCAM, DO NOT GO WITH THIS COMPANY. RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN.

Empire Today response

Christina, we sincerely apologize for the miscommunication that you received. We've located your order, and we'll be in touch with you shortly.

Resolution response: Nov. 10, 2018

Friday they arrived at my home, took up my floor and replaced it. Installers were great, floor looks great and Empire stands behind their word. Thank you Empire. I will use Empire again.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

They came out to install over 400 sq feet of hardwood late afternoon 1 person. I told him 2 day job. He said, "I will finish today." He was dumping boxes of flooring in the middle of the room and then trying to match up pieces. He was throwing pieces and grabbing other. When I came home my wife said he was there to 130 in the morning. I have 3 kids. I was like, "Look at this floor it was scratched up all over." My wife told him the entrance way was part of the floor so he then took up old and put floor in. And it was raining out now at midnight. There are stains like drops on the entrance way in. Can't get them out. Tried everything. Can't get it cleaned up and scratches all over. I need 2 more rooms done in wood so I told the salesmen to wait and see what happens.

The first call they told me to send pics. I did. 2nd they said someone was coming out to look. No show no call. 3rd they say they are coming out Monday between 8 am and 6 pm. I have never had this problem. I've used Empire for 20 years or more on 4 of my houses. Never had a problem. I hope they do the right thing and redo the floor they did and I have 2 more for them and a staircase to do too. Like I said they always did great work. This is the 1st time I had a problem. Installer was a young man. Good worker but just like to throw and dump the flooring.

Empire Today response

Raymond, we're sorry to hear that your floor is not meeting your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us, and we'll be in touch with you shortly to discuss your concerns.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I ordered window treatments from Empire Today. They did a good job on the shade but an awful job on the vertical blinds, I had them come back 4 times and they still don’t work. The slats fall down when you open and close the blinds. I should have gone to Blinds To Go. What a waste of $600. Then they call to tell you they are running a special and I tell them, "Your product sucks," and that I would never use you again, the representative says, "Ok have a nice day." A big thumbs down from me.

Empire Today response

Angela, your concerns are important to us and we'll be in touch with you shortly, thank you.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I've always had Empire Today out in my houses. They did my house in Williamstown about 15 years ago and it was wonderful. This time, I had them in Hammonton. Their salesman did very well. My wife liked their ceramic flooring and I liked it too, so we got it together. Their installers were very nice people. We had them install the flooring in the living room, dining room, hallway, two bedrooms, and two closets. They cleaned up after and they did a good job. It was perfect and the product is beautiful. However, after they put the flooring in, they told us to watch it and don't get it wet because it's gonna get messed up. We thought it was good and a little waterproof, so now we're keeping it dry and there are no problems. I'd probably get rugs in and scratch guard as well because I got a puppy.

Also, the floor was for $8,400. Good thing Empire Today was a nice shop, but it's a lot of money for a couple of floors. When they did my house 15 years ago, I had whole rugs put in my whole house and they only charged me about $2,000. Now, I'm in debt. I gave them around $1,140 and I still owe $7,200. Other than that, I'd recommend Empire Today. We love the floor. When we shine it, nobody walks on it for an hour. We look forward to doing business with them in the future.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I love the carpeting I had put in. I got real good padding underneath in it and it's real soft when I walk. I also had a good experience with the people who installed it. They did everything well and they cleaned up, which I liked. Empire Today is good and I would tell others to call and see what they can get.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I had two bathroom floors and I had the whole carpeted by Empire Today. Timing is a big factor for me and I like that they could do the job all in one day. The salesman we dealt with showed and explained everything to us and the installers were very helpful. They were very nice, neat and clean, and they did everything they were supposed to do. Everything looks great and I'm happy with it. I'm very pleased with Empire Today and I've been telling people about them.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

We had two of our rooms installed with laminate flooring through Empire Today. The flooring was installed a month ago and it was done in a day.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I had my bedroom floor installed by Empire but they didn't put any insulation down under. They only thing they laid down was black paper and I wasn't satisfied with that. The flooring is okay, but the insulation makes the floor not squeak. Still, it didn’t take them long to install.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I was looking for something that was durable and inexpensive for a rental unit. I have been using Empire Today since the mid-90s and I’ve always had good luck with them. I like that they do things fast and it's done well. I could call and tell them that I want to see some carpet, and they could make an appointment right away. Within 48 hours, I have an appointment and a representative would be here quickly. And it's the same way with the installation. It took about four days to get it done, and my new flooring looked nice. They’re thorough, they work neatly and they take all their garbage out, what more can I ask? I have recommended them to folks.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Had Empire come to my home and install my VPF. Love the color. It is history oak Anise by Vallette. The installers told me they did not need to put a moisture barrier down between my wood floor and the VPF. My floors started buckling. All except for the kitchen. Can you guess why? They laid the VPF on top of the linoleum, which acted as a moisture barrier. Empire came out and told me if was not their problem, I had a moisture problem. So I call a home improvement man out to fix my floors. He ask that a get another box of this flooring in case we need it when he tears the floor up and put it back down. EMPIRE REFUSE TO SELL ME A BOX OR TELL ME WHERE I COULD BY A BOX OF THE FLOORING!!! I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Empire Today response

Brenda, thank you for making us aware of your concerns. We'll be looking into this matter right away, thank you.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I had a carpet installed by Empire Today in our living room and dining room. They also installed vinyl in the kitchen and utility room. We had Empire once before, and they had a special on, so we decided to try them. Empire's salesperson came and we talked to him and picked out what we wanted. They were supposed to be here the following day, but they didn't show up. When they came, they ripped my floor out. We were gonna put wood down, and they found a problem, and they said they couldn't do that. So, the salesman had to come back and redo it. Then they were supposed to come back and put it in. They didn't show up.

I kept on calling but there was no response. So, my son finally called and in two days, they were up here and had it put in. I also had to have them come back one time because somehow there was a crack in the kitchen. They had to come back and replace it. But other than that, I like the product. My experience wasn't a very good one, but you could take a chance on Empire and hope you'll have good luck with them.

Empire Today response

Patty, thank you for making us aware of this matter. Your feedback is important to us, and we'll be looking into your concerns.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Empire Today did a nice job with my flooring. Initially, I considered buying from a different company. But because my neighbor had Empire Today and loved what they did at her house, I didn't fool around and I just went to Empire. The salesman who came in had a beautiful patch and I just fell in love with the rug. I had that done as well as had Empire put in laminated flooring.

The only thing with the installation was they said they would be here at 8 o'clock in the morning and yet they came at noon time. They put the laminated flooring in the kitchen, then they did the living room and the hall. So, they were here until 7:00 PM. Then, they came back the next day and four hours later, they were done with installing in the rest of the house. Other than that, I liked the color of the flooring and it matches my wall. The brand was similar to what I had in here as it was manufactured by the same company. I'd tell anybody to go to Empire.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Everything worked out pretty well with Empire Today. We gave them a call and saw what they had. My wife liked the samples that the salesman brought in, she picked out the particular ones she liked, and that was what we got. We had rugs installed in the downstairs parlor, dining room, and upstairs hallway. Two men were here for the installation and they were both very good. Also, the new rugs are very comfortable and they look very good. We’re very happy with the whole situation.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I wanted two black runners installed. Salesman showed me the samples of the Falling Star series and pointed out Night Vision would be as close to black as I could get, it's a dark charcoal color. I was incredibly disappointed to see that green carpet runners were installed. I did not order green carpet, I ordered charcoal gray. And who would name a green carpet Night Vision??? Shouldn't that have been Empire's first clue??? I've called them every day since the installation. I haven't received one call from Empire to talk to me about fixing this issue. Such an incredibly disappointing experience.

Empire Today response

Jodi, we're disappointed to hear that you're unsatisfied with your carpet. Your concerns are important to us, and we'll be in touch with you shortly.

Resolution response: Nov. 5, 2018

After two separate reviews and an online response from the company requesting to send further information to the customer contact email, Empire Today addressed my concerns and issued a full refund.

I did not raise their rating to 5 because I am still not happy with the service that I received with our no-show installers and multiple manager's reluctance to issue a refund for an error on their part. However, I am satisfied with their rapid response to my email and online reviews.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Absolutely horrible experience, DO NOT hire this company and DO NOT sign their contract. After being told we had to reschedule our initial appointment, they did NOT show up at the next scheduled appointment that we received ample notifications for. We had to call the company to ask where their guys were and we were apologized to because THEY HAD DELETED OUR APPOINTMENT. We were told they would contact us for a refund by a manager and never received a call. Upon calling back again for the expected refund, they REFUSED to refund us the $400 that we put down due to the contract we signed even though they failed to show up. We will be reporting to the BBB.

Empire Today response

Kirstin, we apologize for the inconvenience, and we'll be looking into your concerns right away.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

There were two flooring companies out here, Empire Today and another one. And Empire did the best work. They did rugs and wooden floors, and they did a good job.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

J.B came out on Monday 10/29 and showed us some samples for flooring. After picking out flooring, he scheduled us for the next day install, Tue 10/30 and installed it. My husband was home and the installer showed husband the floor and left. When I arrived home, and our son took a shower, the rubber frame between the bathtub and floor slid off!!! They removed it to install the floor and left a one-inch gap between the floor and bathtub, with blue underlayment showing and water has seeped into the floor within the first 4 hours of it being installed!! I deiced to take a closer look at everything and realize they left another gap behind the toilet!! We were charged for them to "flatten our floor" but the contractor did NOT do that, so now we have squeaking floor in the kitchen, gaps in the restroom (wet area), holes on the quarter round base.

I called the same Tuesday and was told I'd receive a call back within the next 2 days, I did not! I called back today, 11/1 and spoke to Ian at customer service who was so disgustingly rude I hope he never finds a job again. He had no answers, kept huffing, and kept interrupting me. When I asked to speak to someone else, he rudely replied no one else can help, they'll tell you the same thing. He did not care about being rude. I decided to call J.B and he told me the same thing, he has no control over the situation, he has no connection between operations and himself. Seriously? What kind of company do you work for if you are less helpful than the people on the phone? I'll let this roll into collections, they won't get one dollar from me, because I'd rather pay for good customer service and installation the first time not this.

Empire Today response

Johany, this is not the experience that we wish for our customers, and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. We'll be following up with you shortly to start working on a resolution.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Wife took off work to be there for install. We were called by Empire for our installation on preset date of 10/30/18 at about 9:00 Am and told installers would be here between 3:00 pm and 4:00 pm-they finally showed up at 6:00 pm and started installing carpet in 2 bedrooms. After they had the old carpet removed I was informed they didn't have enough carpet to finish installing in one of the closets and they would have to come back another day to finish. Was not happy that wife took off work and didn't need to, not there in time frame was told and then could not finish job.

Two days later was called and told they would be back between 5:00 pm and 6:00 pm, then called by installer at about 6:45 pm and told running late and would still be here at about 8:30 pm, then get another call at 7:40 and told not coming and would have to reschedule. Where is their priority as to customer service? Is not our fault they don't measure properly and their scheduling sucks!!

Empire Today response

David, we know your time is valuable and we sincerely apologize for the delay. We've located your order, and we'll be following up with you shortly.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I was in charge of cleaning a home for sale. It needed carpeting, and a friend suggested I call Empire Today. I had a good experience then, and so when I needed my bedrooms done, I went with them. I really wanted laminate flooring, but it was too much money. I then decided to go with carpet. I like how you clean it. The guy who did the installation was well-informed, courteous, and thoughtful of what my needs were. It was a good experience.

Empire Today expert review by Joseph Truini

The year 1959 saw the founding of Empire Today in Chicago. Since then, the business has grown into a true empire with locations in the majority of U.S. states.

• Products: Empire Today offers carpet, hardwood, laminate, resilient vinyl, tile, even window blinds and shades. Free-in-home estimates are available.

• Financing: Empire Today and Wells Fargo Bank offer financing, including an interest-free option, that charges no interest for 12 months. Another option gives you a 48-month payoff time frame at 9.99 percent interest rate.

• Warranties: Empire Today warranties run a lifetime in some cases, with a still-respectable 30 years in several other cases.

• Outdoor carpeting: Empire sells carpeting for porches, patios and decks. Their short pile height helps keep crushes and dents from forming.

• Installation: Installations are performed by independent contractors who work with Empire Today. Options include next-day installation and half-price deals.

• Best for: Luxury shoppers, budget seekers and people with pets and kids stand to find what they need from Empire Today.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Empire Today Company Information