2. Homeowners
  3. Flooring
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.13/5

Empire Today has provided customers with carpet, hardwood, laminate, vinyl tile flooring and window to more than 2 million customers since 1959. The company brings hundreds of samples to your doorstep, and a sales representatives helps you choose a floor, takes room measurements and provides an all-inclusive price estimate. Professional installers can install in-stock styles as soon as the next day. The company offers competitive prices and comprehensive warranties.

Empire Today Video
Empire Today Gallery (5)

BOTTOM LINE

Empire Today brings the shopping experience to you with its in-home consultations and professional flooring specialists. Price quotes are only available after an appointment, but there is no obligation to buy.

PROS

• Professional measurements
  • 1-year limited installation warranty
  • Brings product samples to your home

CONS

• Limited financing options
  • Consultation required for estimate

Top Empire Today Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Empire Today?

We had hardwood installed in my living room and hallway. The sales rep from Empire was pretty good. The installation took two days and it went very well. We had a lot going on that day and their installers worked their butts off. It’s beautiful and I really like it. It’s much easier to take care of.

… The installers did a good job. They came in and out, spent a lot of time, and took care of everything, moving my furniture easily. They took precautions not to break or damage anything. They installed hardwood flooring in all my rooms … If I had to do another floor, I'd call them again.

What is Empire Today?

Empire Today offers floor and window renovations for residential and commercial customers. To get started with Empire Today, visit its website to schedule a personalized shopping experience. All of Empire Today’s consultations take place in your home, which lets you find the samples that best match the decor in your home under your own lighting.

During the initial consultation, Empire’s independent contractor measures the room and provides a price estimate. Because measurements are taken before you purchase the materials, Empire Today can ensure that customers get the right amount of flooring needed for the job. All of the company’s installation services include a one-year limited warranty.

Empire Today also offers online tools to make interior decorating easier. The “See a Floor in Your Room” function on its website lets you upload a picture of your room and try different flooring options before scheduling a consultation. In addition, customers can see photos to use as inspiration for different rooms.

Empire flooring prices

While an in-home consultation is required to get an estimate of Empire Today’s products and services, the company does offer regular discounts, coupons and promotions on its website. New customers can get up to $250 off by signing up for Empire Today’s email service.

Financing options are also available. Empire Today’s credit card offers monthly payment options over 12 or 48 months with a 9.99% APR through Wells Fargo Bank.

Empire Today FAQ

Does Empire Today have showrooms or retail stores?
No. According to Empire Today, the company “brings the showrooms and retail stores to you.” Empire Today opts for a shop-at-home model instead of operating stores.
How do I shop with Empire?
To shop with Empire, book an appointment on its website or call the company to have a flooring specialist visit your home or business.
Is there any charge or obligation for an estimate?
No. In-home consultations through Empire Today are free, and there’s no charge or obligation to buy to receive an estimate.
Do the products have any warranty?
Yes, Empire Today’s products come with a manufacturer’s warranty and a limited installation warranty. It’s best to check with the company for specifics on the manufacturer’s warranty.
What type of financing options does Empire have?
Empire Today offers a credit card in partnership with Wells Fargo Bank. Currently, customers can choose from 12-month or 48-month payment plans.
Does Empire Today move furniture?
Yes, you can request furniture moving services through Empire Today. You’re responsible for moving small or breakable items.
How long does Empire take to install?
As long as products are in stock, Empire Today can install as quickly as the next day. The company works around your schedule.

Is Empire flooring a good deal?

We recommend Empire Today for homeowners and businesses who prefer to save on shopping time and see what flooring looks like in their space before purchasing. Customers praise Empire Today’s knowledgeable staff and the company’s quick service. Individuals with strangely shaped rooms or corners appreciate Empire Today’s in-home measurements, which make it easier to purchase the right type and amount of supplies before installation begins.

Empire Today Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Empire Today?

Original review: April 3, 2020

I used Empire before and was always happy with them. Recently, I had them install carpet in the two bedrooms including two closets, hallway, upstairs, and stairs up the steps to the upstairs. The sales representative was wonderful. Not only he knew that we wanted carpet, but he also offered these other services. Just to have him go through that due diligence, that he was used to just selling carpet and have to sell other things, I thought he was really good at it. He was also good from a carpet perspective, he didn't try to sell us on one thing. He understood what our need was. We wanna leave in a couple of years so we didn't want some high-end things. He didn't try to sell us something more than what we needed and I thought that was really nice.

The installers were very good about calling, 'cause I asked to call me and let me know the window that they were gonna be there. They came. One guy had the badge of Empire on and he did not speak English. He had another guy with him and then he had this kid. The one guy spoke broken English and the young kid was the translator. That didn't bother me and I could deal with that, but if you have an elderly person, that might be a little bit confusing for them. However, they were very professional. They put all their rugs down to make sure that they didn't ruin my floors. They were also respectful when I said that we had our bathroom redone and it cost us $10,000 and that they should not put anything in our bathroom furniture-wise. They kept us informed about the status of where they were.

But we had a little bit of a problem before they could start. For some reason, Empire thought that we owed them a check. We did the 12 months finance. The guy said to give him a check and I told him I won't. He wasn't mean about everything and was just following his rules so he told me to talk to his boss. He had to call this boss that spoke Spanish and had to go through all of these hoops because Empire did not have it written down right that my husband and I were approved for the financing and I didn't have to pay anything at the time. Then the translator had to say that this is what's going on. So that kind of thing was a little bit of a hiccup. They were really quick though and put everything back the best that they could. I did not expect them to do that. We ran the vacuum a couple of times on the carpet and everything's holding up well. There's nothing peeling off or coming off the walls. They did a really good job.

Get buying tips about Flooring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 1, 2020

Somebody that we were talking to had at least had heard about Empire. We told her that we've been to a number of different places, checking out different carpets. The installation went fine. Everybody was good. They were well-qualified and did well. They were kind, courteous and helpful and did what they needed to do at that point. They had to come back because it was such a monumental thing. We had to move everything in the house and we had way too much stuff in the house. So, it was a monumental deal to just move it and then move it from where you moved it to so they could put more down. But other than that, they did what they said they were gonna do. Even the salesman was courteous, kind and was good.

I communicated with the salesman and told him that we liked the carpet mats, and yet at the same time, I didn't realize that it would mat that much. And so, as far as tracking and anything laying on it, shows. Just every step you take shows. Every print and whatever. And so, it's just unique. Some carpets do that and some don't. But I didn't realize this was going to do that. But we've done what we could do. We can't change it. We'll live with it, but it's just the fact that we just somehow didn't realize it was gonna have that tracking ability just profoundly. I even sent the salesman a couple of pictures. I could send him another one, but I guess he knows that we got what we asked for.

The fact that he showed us a sample and we walked on it and so forth and felt it. You just stood on it. It wasn't long enough to walk on, but you stood on it, then made a decision. He said it was like king of the walk and is wonderful and people liked it. A little bit of carpet we have in a lower room doesn't do the tracking at all. We just didn't have enough money to do it. I wouldn't wanna have it laid. If I had something to where you'd have both in the same place, if I could get something to put it down so it didn't have the contrast. That would be helpful.

I hope and pray the quality is all it is cracked up to be. We like the color and we chose that. I'm walking on the carpet now and we're learning to live with it. It gives you a good feel and it's not abrasive like some. If you roll a chair that has rollers on it or if you sweep, it's interesting. As far as what we had picked out, both as far as flooring and carpet, we put down the flooring in the kitchen area, and then we put carpet throughout everything else basically, and I told my wife with what we were doing, if we would've gone that route, we would've had two different issues but we would've saved a couple of thousand dollars if we did what we were thinking about.

So we paid a higher price, paid more funds for what we have, and there's a possibility it may be better. We surely were not being skimpy. We looked at several places. We looked at Lowe's and Home Depot, and then we also looked at a discount place in Georgia. And so, if we had gone with what we were actually picking out, then it surely wasn't by any means the bottom of the line. It was quality, both as far as pad and carpet, but it would've actually been a couple thousand dollars less.

The fact that Empire at least allowed us to purchase it and pay for it over the year with no interest, then I made the choice to do that just so we didn't have to spend all the money at one time. But in actuality, what we were gonna buy would've been a couple thousand less than what we put in this. We put 7,300 and some dollars in this. I don't have complaints with the personnel or the people or the installers. It's just the fact that we did not discern how it was gonna end up looking.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

There was another company that was advertising but I checked with Empire first. Somebody said I should’ve checked with those and compared. I had vinyl plank installed in every room in the whole house although I wish that I stayed with my Hickory laminate. I let the rep from Empire talked me into the vinyl because of the bathroom. The Hickory laminate was my pick before the man ever showed up and even after he showed the other ones, I said that I liked my Hickory. I wanted it in the whole house including the bathroom. The rep said no because of the water. He said that we had to put something else in there. So, they showed me the vinyl plank and it looked like my Hickory but I have a picture that I took of his board, and he showed me a little square that he has on the board. I took a picture of that and I took a picture of the floor that was beside it on their picture. Everything looked shiny.

After I got back here and Empire had it all done, there was nothing shiny to it though. It looks just like my Hickory. It was the same basic color, just a little bit redder or darker than the Hickory. But that doesn’t bother me because I love the color. It’s just the smoothness of it shows all your footprints and it's hard to clean. You are constantly wiping around it or trying to dust it with dust mop. I’m 70 and I have congestive heart failure and my kids wanted me to do it so that I wouldn’t be cleaning the carpets and getting down on that floor that I had because it was all white. I wish I had stayed with the Empire Hickory instead of going with this, but I can’t do my whole house over again.

The installation team was wonderful. They were young and I was worried about that but there was enough of them so that my little dog and I could get back in. I was worried about how many days it might take them and what problems they might run into. But they had it all done in one day and they were straight through lines, which was great. The only thing is, they’re not plumbers. I had to have the commode looked at twice after they left because they had a problem with one commode. We were on the phone with their boss before they left because it wasn’t sealed. It moved when you sit down on it and so, it wasn’t straight. They went over to tighten the other one and that one began to leak a little. So, he talked to the guy on the phone again and then, they took something, fixed it and they had to saw the nuts off.

I had to call my plumber in because I didn’t wanna call them back because I knew they weren’t plumbers. I wanted a real plumber who knew what they were doing. My plumber tightened both of them for me and then, when I went to run the washer, the water wasn’t coming in. So, the plumber did that. I’m glad I tried the washer the night before the plumber come or I wouldn’t have known that and I had to call him back. But as far as the workmanship, the guys did a good job. I walked around with them and even the trims look decent. I was worried the trim was gonna be all marked up.

Also, I had to call and file a problem with Wells Fargo because my Empire contract had me down for 9.99 for 48 months. It was the contract that I signed and I have a copy of but when they gave me the bill for one year, after that, it goes 28%. I called Wells Fargo and they said that that’s not what Empire gave them. So then, I had to call Empire. I was supposed to contact them because the bank didn’t do anything. When I called the bank, the rep said that Empire hasn’t gotten a hold of them. I set up a dispute between us and right now, I’m waiting on somebody to get me started on my payment plan at 9.99 that I agreed to. I just want Empire to get this straightened up.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

My sister had done some carpeting at her home in Indiana, and I thought it was fantastic in the price she had paid. So I called Empire and a gentleman came out. The salesman was very kind. He did the initial measurements and went over everything with me. He took his time and answered all my questions. On the day of installation, the crew came out. They were very professional and did everything. We did run into a problem at the end. When it came time to sign the completion papers, I noticed that there was nothing due from me. I couldn't understand that as when the initial salesman came out, we had talked about financing. I told him I wanted to put a certain amount down. When he wrote the receipt from Empire, he had written down the balance that was due. He informed me that when the service people come out, I would give them the check for the money I wanted to put down. That was when things got crazy.

The guy couldn't understand why I was trying to give him the money, since I'm not supposed to collect anything. I told him it was not the agreement we had agreed on. I got my receipt and showed him. I said that this was almost a $1,900 job here and I was putting $1,000 down and left the balance of 895. And that's the way the salesman had written it up and I showed him that receipt. I told him that I was supposed to give him a $1,000 check that day. He was still confused. He would not take my check, and he ended up calling some office. And then I got very angry and upset. I thought that what he did next was very rude.

The gentleman who came in to do the work was Hispanic, and there's nothing wrong with that. He had been here for about a hour or so, and had talked English to me the entire time. But when he gets on the phone to begin talking to whoever it was he was talking to, he stood in my living room and the whole conversation is in Spanish. I didn't understand what he was saying. So I told him that I needed to understand what he was saying.

He ended up having to get my banking information and my card number, so they can get the payment. I ended up writing him a check. At any rate, we did get it worked out because I did talk with the young lady and I explained to her what we had gone through with the initial salesman and what I was expected to pay. She told that I was okay for $8,000. I said her I understood all of that. And then she told me that I was down for the full amount to be financed. But I argued with her that I didn't want it financed for that much. I told her I'm putting it down, and then finance it. That was when I got upset. It went absolutely crazy in the end. I felt like I was being pushed to finance the entire amount, and I kept telling the young lady that was not what I wanna do. But other than that, their salespeople and the crew that came out were fantastic. I like Empire's product and the service was great.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

We were gonna do a whole house remodel and I started searching on Google. I found that Empire Today had very good responses. People were very happy with Empire, which was probably the main reason we chose them. We did a wood plank that's waterproof that has a cushion back on it. When the installers came, they said that we bought the top-of-the-line. We had it put in the living room, dining room, kitchen, hallway, utility room and two bathrooms. We had it in everything except for two bedrooms and then we had carpet put there.

At first, when the rep brought his samples in, he wanted to sell us some linoleum and we didn't wanna go that way. We wanted it to look nice. My wife said we wanted some kind of a planking. So, he went out and that was the piece that he brought in. It was a light gray color and that's what we picked. He seemed to know a lot about it. He only brought us in one piece to pick from and that was kind of different. He would have brought us several but we told him ahead of time that we were going with light gray walls and white ceilings, and we already had the white kitchen in blackish gray granite, so he kinda knew the color scheme and he was good about it.

We had a problem part way through the installation. We took for granted that every piece of what the rep brought us was gonna look that way. The crew started laying it and they had four light pieces together and then a dark piece, and it just didn't look right. So, we stopped and called the rep. The crew, in turn, pulled it up and started mixing the boxes so we wouldn't have such a variance and the floor turned out great. They were here five days. When they put the gray trim down, when they cut it, the ends weren't gray, and I wasn't happy with that.

We had this whitish, light brownish color on the end of the trim going down the hallway when it would bump up to a door casing. Finally, after a couple more times of coming back, they took some kind of a gray pencil and colored the ends of them and it made it look a little bit better, but we still have some that weren't all the way completed. But it's not bad. They had to match an existing door trim and the quarter round trim was just too big for it, so it would kind of stand out. It was a $10,000 job and it turned out very nice. We've had several people compliment us on it.

This was a 1985 manufactured home that sits on a slab. You're used to seeing light brown walls and paneling looking stuff. We completely changed it all up into light gray walls and charcoal beams, and then we also had the new white kitchen and the flooring. We got all new blinds in now and switching all the ivory outlets and switches over to white, and we're going with the panels just to kinda make it look nice. It will probably be a home that me and my wife live in for the rest of our lives, so we figured we might as well fix it up the way we want. We're very happy.

Resolution response: Nov. 21, 2020

The sales manager contacted us after we asked the installation team to get involved. He explained what had actually happened so it made sense and we're moving on. We still won't be back, we don't trust the way they train sales on how to resolve issues because of this.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

We scheduled the in home consultation for 11/12/2020. During the appointment, I asked Georgia if she was new because she seemed very confused and not able to operate the iPad very well. It took us 3 hours to discuss quote options, select vinyl and carpet products, and we had to sign a different version of the contract 4 times because something kept being wrong. At one point she said she had forgotten to add something to the pricing but when we pushed back it just disappeared somehow. Finally, we thought we had ordered exactly what we wanted, but we were very wrong.

The installers showed up on Saturday 11/14/2020 with the wrong material. We were upset because Jamie had called out of work on Friday to ensure he packed and moved everything as suggested in the pamphlet she gave us. Because it was the wrong material we tried to call Georgia. She only replied via text and let us know that we would have to wait until Tuesday 11/17/2020 to reschedule now. We agreed and asked her to send us a photo of the corrected material because we didn't want to have the same thing happen again. She never replied to that text or called.

On Thursday 11/19/2020 the install of vinyl was done but everyone was confused because they had a lot of excess materials. We contacted Georgia to ask how to schedule the carpet install now that the floor was done. She told us we only ordered vinyl. We told her that was not the case and asked how that was possible since she had a note we selected 'Astonish' pattern carpet. We asked to speak with a manager.

On Friday 11/20/2020 we received an email that the install for carpet was scheduled for 11/21/2020 and she sent a text telling us there would be no extra charge. We replied that we were concerned because vinyl is much more expensive so if anything there should be a refund on the amount we financed. She never provided the managers contact or had them call us and never addressed the refund.

At 6:20am on 11/21/2020 I was woken by a phone call to inform me the installer would be there in about an hour, but that it was only 1 single person and so they wouldn't be able to move the furniture (despite the pamphlet she gave us stating we only needed to move breakables and smaller items). So we rushed to get out of bed and start moving things.

I will say the one helpful person was Mary the installation team manager. She listened to my concerns and said she would pass it along to the sales manager.

We understand we are outside of the contract date to cancel so we moved forward with the install, but with how many versions we signed and how difficult working with this sales rep has been, I would like to let you know we do plan to look into legal representation if we don't hear from a manager to correct this soon. We expect that we were overcharged close to $3,000 based on the pricing difference of vinyl and carpet. Although, they didn't ever provide me with an itemized bill, I just had to take Georgia's word on that.

Empire Today response

Maggie, we sincerely apologize for your experience and are currently reviewing your concerns. Thank you for your update.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

I am so disappointed and beyond frustrated. We placed our order for a carpet install new version 7 weeks ago. We could have had it installed the next week, but we are remodeling and I wanted to coordinate with construction, so we scheduled further out. Two days prior to our scheduled installation date, we received a phone call stating the carpet was out of stock and would not be IN stock for another week. Mind you, putting carpet in can take a lot of prep work, but we had not moved the big stuff yet so ok, no problem we can wait another week.

They were scheduled to come today between 8 and 4. I received a confirmation email 5 days ago and again yesterday. Knowing installers could be here 8am, we were up and disassembling beds and moving Everything, including clothing, out of the bedrooms to facilitate ease of install. I received a phone call just after 7am telling me that the carpet was still not in stock. I am a pretty understanding person and I know things could be affected by COVID or life happens, but waiting until less than an hour before notifying me of an out of stock product that comes from LA is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE. When I shared this with person delivering the message, she said “I’ll make a note in your file.” I have reached out to the salesperson who has not yet returned my calls. I am happy to write a different review if and when we receive our carpet.

Empire Today response

Tammie, it’s disappointing to hear about the issues you had with your installation appointment. We know your time is valuable and would like to make this right. We’ll follow back with you to work with you towards a resolution.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

Absolutely ridiculous at every step of the process. The salesman was nice and lead us to believe we were getting a good deal by taking a “middle of the road” (his words) product that they had in overstock. Turns out, we were sold utter junk carpet that is so thin you can feel the nails they use to tack it down THROUGH THE CARPET! When I called to ask what could be done, I was told by a very rude person that someone would come to tack the nails down by that’s it. Nothing for my inconvenience or to compensate for the fact that more strangers would need to be coming into my home during covid. I posted on Twitter about my experience and was told someone would reach out. No one did.

The “fix” was also horribly botched. No one gave me a time frame, they just said “Saturday”. I received a phone call at 7:30 a.m to tell me the technician would be there in 10 minutes. Again, 7:30 a.m on a Saturday. The technician then proceeded to do everything in his power to avoid fixing the problem, saying things like “well you don’t walk around the edges of a room” and “your old carpet was thicker”. So, basically, Empire sells a product so bad, you could injure yourself on it and it’s your fault for buying it. Oh, and about 20 minutes after they left, I got an automated phone call saying someone was on their way. After about 15 minutes on hold, that issue was solved. I’ve got two small children, one of whom has special needs. The last thing I need is more hazards in my home. So, stay as far away from Empire as you can because they will disappoint (and potentially injure) you at every turn.

Empire Today response

Amanda, we take your concerns seriously and we'll be in touch with you shortly to start working on resolution.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

Received a quote to replace master BR carpet. We cleared out 90% of bedroom including wall hangings before they arrived. Came to install and was told they didn’t have enough carpet unless they made 6 seams. Called customer service and was told they had to reorder because measurements from THEIR agent were wrong. And it would be another week before they had carpet in stock. Tried to cancel order but was told I couldn’t because 3 days had passed after accepting price. If I cancelled I would lose my deposit. Then I received a call from installation manager and was told they did have enough carpet and the installers made a mistake thinking our carpet in the van was for another installation. The manager said they could come the next day to install. They did show up and AGAIN was told they didn’t have enough carpet unless they made 6 seams.

I called customer service 6 times and they never answered, but I left messages. They finally returned my call and I simply said “we are done, Cancel the order.” I then called the bank and disputed the down payment! So rude and unprofessional at the office. The installers and estimate lady were fine but their company is as unprofessional and rude beyond belief b

Empire Today response

Leigh, we regret to hear that your installation did not take place as planned. We've located your order and will be in touch with you soon.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

I had carpet and stair runners installed by Empire previously that I was very satisfied with. So when I decided to remove the tile flooring in two rooms and replace with laminate flooring I decided to go back to Empire. After settling on a product and price, I was shocked when the installation team showed up a few weeks later and told me (after tearing all the existing flooring up) that it was going to be $400 more because they were gong to have to level the floor (which was level before the tile was torn up). I battled against this new charge but I was kind of stuck as my original floors were torn up and discarded.

We settled at each taking $200 of the new charge. 3 years later I started noticing the very place where the floor had to be "evened out". The planks were beginning to buckle!!! After having customer service schedule an appointment and confirming that the floor was buckling where it was supposedly repaired. Empire agreed to repair the floor although they would have to replace all of the flooring because the floor was discontinued. So after two more visits to choose replacement flooring and another month passing we were at installment day. Let me add I have to move a 150 gallon aquarium for the install to happen - not an easy task

The installers arrive and say, "If we install this you are going to have the same problem. The items they are selling will not work for this installation." He tells me the only thing that is gong to work is something called VPN. Long story short (this is covering a 6 month period from the time of my initial complaint til now). I was told that they would install the Correct flooring for this job for either an additional $2000 or $5000 depending on the product I select. I told them, "The lesser of the two but am feeling like I'm having to pay for another floor because the one you sold me originally with the additional fee to level the floor" (which is now unleveled). Feels like a scam. Not sure if I'm going to cancel.

Empire Today response

James, we regret to hear that your laminate flooring is not meeting your expectations. We've located your order and will be in touch with you shortly.

Empire Today Company Information