2. Homeowners
  3. Flooring
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.05/5

Empire Today has provided customers with carpet, hardwood, laminate, vinyl tile flooring and window to more than 2 million customers since 1959. The company brings hundreds of samples to your doorstep, and a sales representatives helps you choose a floor, takes room measurements and provides an all-inclusive price estimate. Professional installers can install in-stock styles as soon as the next day. The company offers competitive prices and comprehensive warranties.

Empire Today Video
Empire Today Gallery (5)

BOTTOM LINE

Empire Today brings the shopping experience to you with its in-home consultations and professional flooring specialists. Price quotes are only available after an appointment, but there is no obligation to buy.

PROS

• Professional measurements
  • 1-year limited installation warranty
  • Brings product samples to your home

CONS

• Limited financing options
  • Consultation required for estimate

Top Empire Today Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Empire Today?

We had hardwood installed in my living room and hallway. The sales rep from Empire was pretty good. The installation took two days and it went very well. We had a lot going on that day and their installers worked their butts off. It’s beautiful and I really like it. It’s much easier to take care of.

… The installers did a good job. They came in and out, spent a lot of time, and took care of everything, moving my furniture easily. They took precautions not to break or damage anything. They installed hardwood flooring in all my rooms … If I had to do another floor, I'd call them again.

What is Empire Today?

Empire Today offers floor and window renovations for residential and commercial customers. To get started with Empire Today, visit its website to schedule a personalized shopping experience. All of Empire Today’s consultations take place in your home, which lets you find the samples that best match the decor in your home under your own lighting.

During the initial consultation, Empire’s independent contractor measures the room and provides a price estimate. Because measurements are taken before you purchase the materials, Empire Today can ensure that customers get the right amount of flooring needed for the job. All of the company’s installation services include a one-year limited warranty.

Empire Today also offers online tools to make interior decorating easier. The “See a Floor in Your Room” function on its website lets you upload a picture of your room and try different flooring options before scheduling a consultation. In addition, customers can see photos to use as inspiration for different rooms.

Empire flooring prices

While an in-home consultation is required to get an estimate of Empire Today’s products and services, the company does offer regular discounts, coupons and promotions on its website. New customers can get up to $250 off by signing up for Empire Today’s email service.

Financing options are also available. Empire Today’s credit card offers monthly payment options over 12 or 48 months with a 9.99% APR through Wells Fargo Bank.

Empire Today FAQ

Does Empire Today have showrooms or retail stores?
No. According to Empire Today, the company “brings the showrooms and retail stores to you.” Empire Today opts for a shop-at-home model instead of operating stores.
How do I shop with Empire?
To shop with Empire, book an appointment on its website or call the company to have a flooring specialist visit your home or business.
Is there any charge or obligation for an estimate?
No. In-home consultations through Empire Today are free, and there’s no charge or obligation to buy to receive an estimate.
Do the products have any warranty?
Yes, Empire Today’s products come with a manufacturer’s warranty and a limited installation warranty. It’s best to check with the company for specifics on the manufacturer’s warranty.
What type of financing options does Empire have?
Empire Today offers a credit card in partnership with Wells Fargo Bank. Currently, customers can choose from 12-month or 48-month payment plans.
Does Empire Today move furniture?
Yes, you can request furniture moving services through Empire Today. You’re responsible for moving small or breakable items.
How long does Empire take to install?
As long as products are in stock, Empire Today can install as quickly as the next day. The company works around your schedule.

Is Empire flooring a good deal?

We recommend Empire Today for homeowners and businesses who prefer to save on shopping time and see what flooring looks like in their space before purchasing. Customers praise Empire Today’s knowledgeable staff and the company’s quick service. Individuals with strangely shaped rooms or corners appreciate Empire Today’s in-home measurements, which make it easier to purchase the right type and amount of supplies before installation begins.

Empire Today Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Empire Today?

Original review: April 1, 2020

Somebody that we were talking to had at least had heard about Empire. We told her that we've been to a number of different places, checking out different carpets. The installation went fine. Everybody was good. They were well-qualified and did well. They were kind, courteous and helpful and did what they needed to do at that point. They had to come back because it was such a monumental thing. We had to move everything in the house and we had way too much stuff in the house. So, it was a monumental deal to just move it and then move it from where you moved it to so they could put more down. But other than that, they did what they said they were gonna do. Even the salesman was courteous, kind and was good.

I communicated with the salesman and told him that we liked the carpet mats, and yet at the same time, I didn't realize that it would mat that much. And so, as far as tracking and anything laying on it, shows. Just every step you take shows. Every print and whatever. And so, it's just unique. Some carpets do that and some don't. But I didn't realize this was going to do that. But we've done what we could do. We can't change it. We'll live with it, but it's just the fact that we just somehow didn't realize it was gonna have that tracking ability just profoundly. I even sent the salesman a couple of pictures. I could send him another one, but I guess he knows that we got what we asked for.

The fact that he showed us a sample and we walked on it and so forth and felt it. You just stood on it. It wasn't long enough to walk on, but you stood on it, then made a decision. He said it was like king of the walk and is wonderful and people liked it. A little bit of carpet we have in a lower room doesn't do the tracking at all. We just didn't have enough money to do it. I wouldn't wanna have it laid. If I had something to where you'd have both in the same place, if I could get something to put it down so it didn't have the contrast. That would be helpful.

I hope and pray the quality is all it is cracked up to be. We like the color and we chose that. I'm walking on the carpet now and we're learning to live with it. It gives you a good feel and it's not abrasive like some. If you roll a chair that has rollers on it or if you sweep, it's interesting. As far as what we had picked out, both as far as flooring and carpet, we put down the flooring in the kitchen area, and then we put carpet throughout everything else basically, and I told my wife with what we were doing, if we would've gone that route, we would've had two different issues but we would've saved a couple of thousand dollars if we did what we were thinking about.

So we paid a higher price, paid more funds for what we have, and there's a possibility it may be better. We surely were not being skimpy. We looked at several places. We looked at Lowe's and Home Depot, and then we also looked at a discount place in Georgia. And so, if we had gone with what we were actually picking out, then it surely wasn't by any means the bottom of the line. It was quality, both as far as pad and carpet, but it would've actually been a couple thousand dollars less.

The fact that Empire at least allowed us to purchase it and pay for it over the year with no interest, then I made the choice to do that just so we didn't have to spend all the money at one time. But in actuality, what we were gonna buy would've been a couple thousand less than what we put in this. We put 7,300 and some dollars in this. I don't have complaints with the personnel or the people or the installers. It's just the fact that we did not discern how it was gonna end up looking.

Get buying tips about Flooring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

There was another company that was advertising but I checked with Empire first. Somebody said I should’ve checked with those and compared. I had vinyl plank installed in every room in the whole house although I wish that I stayed with my Hickory laminate. I let the rep from Empire talked me into the vinyl because of the bathroom. The Hickory laminate was my pick before the man ever showed up and even after he showed the other ones, I said that I liked my Hickory. I wanted it in the whole house including the bathroom. The rep said no because of the water. He said that we had to put something else in there. So, they showed me the vinyl plank and it looked like my Hickory but I have a picture that I took of his board, and he showed me a little square that he has on the board. I took a picture of that and I took a picture of the floor that was beside it on their picture. Everything looked shiny.

After I got back here and Empire had it all done, there was nothing shiny to it though. It looks just like my Hickory. It was the same basic color, just a little bit redder or darker than the Hickory. But that doesn’t bother me because I love the color. It’s just the smoothness of it shows all your footprints and it's hard to clean. You are constantly wiping around it or trying to dust it with dust mop. I’m 70 and I have congestive heart failure and my kids wanted me to do it so that I wouldn’t be cleaning the carpets and getting down on that floor that I had because it was all white. I wish I had stayed with the Empire Hickory instead of going with this, but I can’t do my whole house over again.

The installation team was wonderful. They were young and I was worried about that but there was enough of them so that my little dog and I could get back in. I was worried about how many days it might take them and what problems they might run into. But they had it all done in one day and they were straight through lines, which was great. The only thing is, they’re not plumbers. I had to have the commode looked at twice after they left because they had a problem with one commode. We were on the phone with their boss before they left because it wasn’t sealed. It moved when you sit down on it and so, it wasn’t straight. They went over to tighten the other one and that one began to leak a little. So, he talked to the guy on the phone again and then, they took something, fixed it and they had to saw the nuts off.

I had to call my plumber in because I didn’t wanna call them back because I knew they weren’t plumbers. I wanted a real plumber who knew what they were doing. My plumber tightened both of them for me and then, when I went to run the washer, the water wasn’t coming in. So, the plumber did that. I’m glad I tried the washer the night before the plumber come or I wouldn’t have known that and I had to call him back. But as far as the workmanship, the guys did a good job. I walked around with them and even the trims look decent. I was worried the trim was gonna be all marked up.

Also, I had to call and file a problem with Wells Fargo because my Empire contract had me down for 9.99 for 48 months. It was the contract that I signed and I have a copy of but when they gave me the bill for one year, after that, it goes 28%. I called Wells Fargo and they said that that’s not what Empire gave them. So then, I had to call Empire. I was supposed to contact them because the bank didn’t do anything. When I called the bank, the rep said that Empire hasn’t gotten a hold of them. I set up a dispute between us and right now, I’m waiting on somebody to get me started on my payment plan at 9.99 that I agreed to. I just want Empire to get this straightened up.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

My sister had done some carpeting at her home in Indiana, and I thought it was fantastic in the price she had paid. So I called Empire and a gentleman came out. The salesman was very kind. He did the initial measurements and went over everything with me. He took his time and answered all my questions. On the day of installation, the crew came out. They were very professional and did everything. We did run into a problem at the end. When it came time to sign the completion papers, I noticed that there was nothing due from me. I couldn't understand that as when the initial salesman came out, we had talked about financing. I told him I wanted to put a certain amount down. When he wrote the receipt from Empire, he had written down the balance that was due. He informed me that when the service people come out, I would give them the check for the money I wanted to put down. That was when things got crazy.

The guy couldn't understand why I was trying to give him the money, since I'm not supposed to collect anything. I told him it was not the agreement we had agreed on. I got my receipt and showed him. I said that this was almost a $1,900 job here and I was putting $1,000 down and left the balance of 895. And that's the way the salesman had written it up and I showed him that receipt. I told him that I was supposed to give him a $1,000 check that day. He was still confused. He would not take my check, and he ended up calling some office. And then I got very angry and upset. I thought that what he did next was very rude.

The gentleman who came in to do the work was Hispanic, and there's nothing wrong with that. He had been here for about a hour or so, and had talked English to me the entire time. But when he gets on the phone to begin talking to whoever it was he was talking to, he stood in my living room and the whole conversation is in Spanish. I didn't understand what he was saying. So I told him that I needed to understand what he was saying.

He ended up having to get my banking information and my card number, so they can get the payment. I ended up writing him a check. At any rate, we did get it worked out because I did talk with the young lady and I explained to her what we had gone through with the initial salesman and what I was expected to pay. She told that I was okay for $8,000. I said her I understood all of that. And then she told me that I was down for the full amount to be financed. But I argued with her that I didn't want it financed for that much. I told her I'm putting it down, and then finance it. That was when I got upset. It went absolutely crazy in the end. I felt like I was being pushed to finance the entire amount, and I kept telling the young lady that was not what I wanna do. But other than that, their salespeople and the crew that came out were fantastic. I like Empire's product and the service was great.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

We were gonna do a whole house remodel and I started searching on Google. I found that Empire Today had very good responses. People were very happy with Empire, which was probably the main reason we chose them. We did a wood plank that's waterproof that has a cushion back on it. When the installers came, they said that we bought the top-of-the-line. We had it put in the living room, dining room, kitchen, hallway, utility room and two bathrooms. We had it in everything except for two bedrooms and then we had carpet put there.

At first, when the rep brought his samples in, he wanted to sell us some linoleum and we didn't wanna go that way. We wanted it to look nice. My wife said we wanted some kind of a planking. So, he went out and that was the piece that he brought in. It was a light gray color and that's what we picked. He seemed to know a lot about it. He only brought us in one piece to pick from and that was kind of different. He would have brought us several but we told him ahead of time that we were going with light gray walls and white ceilings, and we already had the white kitchen in blackish gray granite, so he kinda knew the color scheme and he was good about it.

We had a problem part way through the installation. We took for granted that every piece of what the rep brought us was gonna look that way. The crew started laying it and they had four light pieces together and then a dark piece, and it just didn't look right. So, we stopped and called the rep. The crew, in turn, pulled it up and started mixing the boxes so we wouldn't have such a variance and the floor turned out great. They were here five days. When they put the gray trim down, when they cut it, the ends weren't gray, and I wasn't happy with that.

We had this whitish, light brownish color on the end of the trim going down the hallway when it would bump up to a door casing. Finally, after a couple more times of coming back, they took some kind of a gray pencil and colored the ends of them and it made it look a little bit better, but we still have some that weren't all the way completed. But it's not bad. They had to match an existing door trim and the quarter round trim was just too big for it, so it would kind of stand out. It was a $10,000 job and it turned out very nice. We've had several people compliment us on it.

This was a 1985 manufactured home that sits on a slab. You're used to seeing light brown walls and paneling looking stuff. We completely changed it all up into light gray walls and charcoal beams, and then we also had the new white kitchen and the flooring. We got all new blinds in now and switching all the ivory outlets and switches over to white, and we're going with the panels just to kinda make it look nice. It will probably be a home that me and my wife live in for the rest of our lives, so we figured we might as well fix it up the way we want. We're very happy.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

When we had put some carpeting in our home a couple of years ago, we looked at a couple of different people and got some different estimates. We went with Empire. I also stayed with them when I chose carpeting for two bedrooms in a rental home that we own. The carpeting needed to be replaced and that was done beautifully.

A representative was assigned to us and we were given an appointment window, as a lot of companies do like from 8:00 to 10:00 or 10:00 to 12:00, and also a date for him to come. He contacted us early in the morning at that date to confirm the appointment window then met us at the property. First of all, he asked us what we were considering and what price range we wanted. He had noted that it was a rental home, so he didn’t really try to convince us that we needed huge, expensive carpeting for those two bedrooms. He said it was in a really reasonable price range. He showed us several alternatives, discussed the carpeting and the padding with us, the turnaround time, and the possible delivery times. After we had wrapped up, we had chosen the one that we liked.

We were having the house painted at the time, so it was easy to match the carpet with the color of the new walls because they were being made new simultaneously. We chose the carpeting and he checked on a couple of possible installation dates. He found one a couple of days later in that same week then set our schedule and their schedule. The only thing that I was curious about was paying the deposit with a check, which got photographed and sent over the internet, then handed back to me and voided. It was a procedure I had not ever used before. It was a little crazy to do it over the computer that way rather than just handing the check and have them turn it in. But it seems that the payment went through very smoothly, and the same method was used two days later when we had the carpeting installed.

We had a window of what time that the gentleman would be coming to install the carpet, and they arrived in the first portion of that window in the day. But I don’t think they called ahead of time. They just appeared without making us wait all day long for them. They were in and out of the home in a very quick and efficient manner. They measured, organized, cut the carpet, and put it down. They did a beautiful job and they finished within about two hours for the two bedrooms. We’re very happy with the product.

In both instances that we’ve talked with the people who have come out to make the sale, they’ve been really interested in what we wanted to do and how we perceived redoing the house. They didn’t try to convince me to carpet my entire house since I told them I only wanted to carpet the upstairs and leave the wood floors in the downstairs. They didn’t try to twist my arm to change my mind. They just sat right down and got to business with what I wanted. In our recent one, they didn’t say they could carpet the bathroom or they could do the adjacent room and add to this. They just said, “This is what you want, and these are our products.” They gave the price ranges and made recommendations for our rental because a certain type of fabric may hold up better than something else in the line. I thought that they very much took into consideration the audience they’re selling things to and didn’t try to oversell.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

Long story short, we had LVP installed in a small 55 sq. ft. walkway by our front door, replacing traditional ceramic subway tile. We knew we would need a new subfloor so that was factored into the quote. What these idiots didn't do was measure the amount of flooring needed and installed a single sheet of 1/4 inch when 3/4 inch was needed, so now the floor they installed sits a noticeable half inch lower than the rest of my floor with huge gaps under the trim. On top of that they didn't bring enough quarter round to finish the job.

When questioned about why more floor wasn't added their response was "you didn't pay for more floor". These idiots have the absolute nerve to blame the homeowner for their installers' screw up and dodge our calls for resolution, claiming, "We can't do a chargeback" because we signed a "contract" which also states they need to come to an agreement with us with fixing any screw ups before we go the legal route. Well it's been 3 weeks and they aren't offering any resolution, or even affording us a call back, so we are going the chargeback route, along with contacting the BBB and the AG.

Empire Today response

Eric, this is not the experience that we wish for our customers and we sincerely apologize for your experience. We'll be in touch with you shortly to further discuss your concerns.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

I originally ordered 2 pair of blinds for my front/patio doors and one for a skylight from Empire Today. After weeks of waiting for someone to come out and measure, the order was finally placed. I was promised delivery in 2-6 weeks. 13 weeks went by, I called the customer service department multiple times to inquire about my order with little or no response. Finally on August 18th the order arrived. The installer delivered the blinds and started the install. I noticed that the blind for my front door was the wrong color after it was already hung. The installer then advised me that the skylight blind was also incorrect because it was not meant for a skylight. He then advise me not to worry he would take care of the mishap and then proceeded to leave.

I contacted empire the same day to advise them of the mix-up, and was assured someone would reach out to me within 2-5 days. I have called Empire over 10 times since August 18 to inquire about my order, I have yet to receive a callback from anyone. The customer service department is basically useless, they have no info or power to assist the customer. All they are capable of doing is sending tickets and emails. I have since requested a refund for the Skylight blind, and as usual, no refund and no contact. This whole nightmarish process began back in May and is still unresolved. I used this company before to install laminate floors in my basement and that process was ok. However, it seems that the company has declined in its ability to service its customer. This will be my last time doing business with them, and if you the reader of this review is considering hiring them, PLEASE think twice before you do.

Empire Today response

Del, we regret to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations, and understand that your order has been cancelled per your request. We'll be further reviewing your concerns. Thank you for your feedback.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

Called Empire as repeated customer for new carpet. We picked the carpet and install was scheduled for 10/19/2020. We woke up early and cleared the room. No one came and no one called. When we called them they said their system made a mistake and now it is scheduled for 10/20/2020. They come to install and now they don't have enough carpet. Installer says he is short by 20 feet. And they don't have more of the same carpet at warehouse. That means now I have to pick another carpet and reschedule another delivery date. I have elderly parents in 80s whom I had to send to my sister house so they could install carpet. They have already vacated all furniture from bedroom and now I or my 3 children won't have a bed to sleep till this is taken care off. They have no courtesy and horrible customer service. This is the last time I am using them. Will not recommend them to my friends and families.

Empire Today response

Siraj, we understand your frustration and sincerely regret to hear that your installation was not completed as scheduled. We've located your account and will be in touch with you shortly to discuss your experience.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

I've used Empire once before to put in laminate on the first floor of my home. I had no problems with the first time I used them but this time the financing was a disaster. The salesman was the same man who came the first time, super nice and knowledgeable. The installer who came was awesome as well. He discovered a problem with the leveling on my second-floor hallway and did what needed to be done to correct the issue so that my new flooring could be installed correctly. Great guy. However, when it came to the financing I was screwed. I told the salesman to put it all on the account from Synchrony from the first time which had the full available balance.

On the day of install, the installer came and told me that the full balance was due and I told him that it was being financed on the Synchrony card. The work was completed. I received a call a couple of days later from the Houston office stating the financing didn't go through because there was no available credit. I checked my account and it said differently. The next day, she called back and said that they still didn't approve of the financing. I told her to check again since there was still a credit line of $2,000. She called the following day to say that Synchrony wanted me to call them. Come to find out, Empire preauthorized $1,350 the day before the install and then didn't push the authorization through after the install.

Two days after the install, they charged my account $638. They told me that I was going to pay the remainder at the time of install, which I clearly did not say I would do. I apparently said this even though they had already preauthorized the full amount. At this point, I immediately locked down my Synchrony account, which Synchrony ignored. After 4 days of ignored emails and phone calls from the Houston office, they called me and said that the $638 was refunded back and the original $1,350 was charged. My account doesn't currently reflect that, however. My question as to why the preauthorization was not pushed through and why $638 was charged in place of it was still met with lies and bull. No explanations. Just, "Here, have a nice day." Screw Empire Today. Never use this company if you value your money and credit.

Empire Today response

Patrick, we take your concerns seriously and sincerely apologize for your experience. We'll be in touch with you soon to start working on a resolution.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

Received call after 4 PM day before carpet was to be installed, advised carpet was not in stock in CA. And would be at least two weeks before it would arrive. This after removing all furniture from all rooms to be carpeted.

Empire Today response

Frank, we understand your frustration, and sincerely regret to hear that your installation was not completed as scheduled. We'll be reviewing your concerns and will be in touch with you shortly.

Empire Today Company Information