3.40/5
Based on 1,386 ratings submitted in the last year
Call toll free
(844) 329-2663 Visit Website

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1959, Empire Today® has provided Carpet, Hardwood, Laminate, Vinyl, Tile Flooring, and Window Treatments to over 2 million satisfied customers. Offering quality, name-brand products, Empire Today can help you find the product you want, within your budget. Empire brings hundreds of samples to your doorstep. During your free estimate, an experienced Sales Representative will help you choose a floor, take room measurements, and provide an all-inclusive price estimate. And, there’s no need to wait weeks - professional installers can install in-stock styles as soon as the next day. Offering competitive low prices and comprehensive warranties, Empire Today is committed to ensuring your Carpet and Flooring installation experience is top notch and handled by qualified and experienced contractors.

2016 American Business Awards:

The Stevies Company of the Year - Consumer Products - Bronze Winner

The Stevies Company of the Year - Customer Service Department of the Year - Consumer Products - Bronze Winner

Empire Today Video
Empire Today Gallery (5)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

7146 Empire Today Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: July 2, 2019

A friend of mine used Empire in North Carolina and had very good results. My friend said the pricing was very good and I was already gonna go that way. I knew what I wanted to get done and it was a pretty quick sale. We did all the prep work. I took all the old carpet out that had been in for 40 years. I had four rooms and a 13-stair carpeted hallway. Everything went well. My salesperson was fine. The people that came in to do the work didn't always speak very good English so sometimes communication was a little bit difficult, but they knew what they were doing. They were fast and efficient.

Empire did a beautiful job with the installation. I love the finished result. It was like a new install for them. We didn’t get much off for doing all of the prep work though. I thought maybe more should have come off. But Empire did take all the old carpet and I'm grateful for that. The only thing was I was expecting some scuff marks, but I thought they did an excessive amount of damage on the woodworks in the room. I had wood and paint and all that kind of stuff. Once you have a light colored flooring in, it's hard to go back and to paint because you're paranoid you're gonna get something somewhere. They could have put some plastic over the banisters and done a little prep like when you go to get your car done and put a mat down to prevent some of the damage that could have been prevented. The packing of the carpet is very scratchy and that can definitely scuff walls and wooded areas.

But I was able to fix everything. I just would have felt bad had it been some older couple that would have hired painters then had to have all those people come back out to fix what had happened. In my case, it probably took a day to fix everything that was damaged like the wood that had to be resanded and restained. There was a lot. But the end result was very good for the carpet itself. I look at my flooring now and I'm happy with what happened. I like that my flooring is all the same color carpet throughout. The carpet is great. I got what I ordered. I would recommend Empire to a friend, but I would definitely let them understand what they would get so there would be no surprise at the end.

Get expert buying tips about Flooring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 28, 2019

I purchased the laminate wood floor for my first floor and new carpet, the best carpet I had, for my upstairs. I checked with Empire Today first and I did get another quote from Lowe’s. It was really out-of-control price so we went with Empire Today. I had a great experience with my sales guy. He was very nice. He told me that I’d have to remove the toilet so I had that done. But when the guys came to do the wood floor, they told me I also had to remove my pedestal sink. It would've been nice if I knew that. I had it rushed and got somebody to my house to remove that or they weren’t gonna put my flooring on the day they arrived. That was a little disheartening. I called my guy and told him about it and he was sorry.

The guys that did the hardwood floor were fabulous but they showed up with not enough product to do my home that morning. They were short of like six boxes. It might’ve been better if they had a little bit better communication with the warehouse so they knew what they were bringing to my house. That was the only negative. And the thing that upset me with my salesman is he said they should have had the product because I made these arrangements two months ago.

Other than that, everything was great. Even the guy that did my rug was fabulous too. He was really good. His team was great to do the rug. The rug guys were out of my house by noon while the poor guys were there until 7:00 that night and had to come back Monday with the rest of my flooring. They were embarrassed and upset. They were really sorry. They made sure that they came back that Monday. They called me when they were five minutes out. I left work and went right to the house. They were done in two hours just as they told me. They did a great job. They put all my furniture back. They worked straight through lunch. I kept trying to offer them water and they said, “No, no, no. We’re good.” They got as much as they could get done. They cleaned everything up before they left. I’m very happy with everything Empire Today did.

Original review: May 25, 2019

Empire did everything. They were nice, they brought things to the house and they showed us everything. We're not able to go out and look at these things in different stores that's why we chose them. They installed laminate flooring in five bedrooms and a foyer. The quality of work performed by the four installers on the first day was excellent. However, they put white quarter-inch molding all around in all the rooms and they never asked me about it. I told them that they're supposed to be putting oak quarter round, I didn't want that white so the next day, the guy came back and redid it. He had to remove the bookcases and book things again that was against the wall that they put back. When he came in, he said he would be finished in an hour and a half but he was finished in five hours. It was just really time-consuming and draining. He did a good job of putting the molding in though.

The installers also didn't clean up after themselves 'cause they had to cut doors down. It took me four days to get all that sawdust up. They wrote me a little thing, "Just go to Home Depot and buy this stuff and you can clean the floors." I was upset with that. Thn my biggest concern was that the salesman kept changing the amount of money. He was not clear on any of the things. He drove me crazy and he wanted an answer that day. I thought it was under $9,000. I figured $2,000 a room, that would be good, and less with the foyer 'cause I thought they were going through 59 boxes of the laminate. The salesman forgot to add tax and he then added it. The price wound up to be $9,900 and I don't know why. I gave him two checks and I don't even know what they're for.

Another thing, I had wanted to have shades put in in my family room and the salesman said okay so he took all of the information down. The man came out, he measured, and that was the last I've seen him. No more shades and I didn't hear from anybody. That's a big project too because that was $1,200. But I love the new flooring. The color is beautiful and I'm hoping that it does what it's supposed to be, no scratches, no water damage. So far, it works.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

My daughter and my son had Empire Today, and I saw their carpets. I figured if they went with Empire, I would too, and I did. We had carpeting installed and we had it done twice. First, we had the family room downstairs, and then we had the living room and dining room done. Our interactions with the reps the first time were really good, but the second time, I didn’t know what was going on and it wasn’t that great. I called for the second project as I was going to get the bedroom done and the stairs, and they called to see why I got the estimate, what was wrong and why I didn’t get the carpet. I told the lady rep that the salesman told me it wasn’t on sale and he gave me a price over the phone, which was way too much. We got our carpeting on sale before and we got a premium carpet. But the carpet that was offered by the salesman cost twice as much and we weren’t getting as much.

The lady rep had someone else come out and measure. She was supposed to be giving us special pricing. However, the salesman that came was supposed to put in a change order because of the difference in price. That went on for almost two weeks. He was supposed to have the correct amount on it, and instead of $2,400, it would be 1,400. That never took place, however, until the morning of the installation. I called and said that if I did not see proof that it was only going to be $1,400, I wasn’t getting it. The installers called them in the morning and told them that they couldn’t understand me. But they weren’t speaking much English, so it was kind of hard to get them to understand what was going on. That situation took a lot of time and a lot of calls.

I felt good about the first two guys that came and installed the floor. They were both Mexicans, and one spoke very good English while the other one hardly spoke at all. But that was fine because I could communicate. Then with the second group of installers that came, one didn’t speak any English while the second one spoke minimal English. It was hard to communicate with them as well. When someone asked me about Empire, I told them that I would recommend it. But I also told them about the miscommunications. I would recommend to Empire that there should be one person that can really speak good English when the crew comes out to install the carpet. Still, I really like the carpet and I was pleased with the installation. I would go with Empire again because I also need a kitchen floor and a bathroom floor.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I got cheap carpet from Empire Today for our rental house. It was cheap and it was a good deal. I trusted that because I knew the salesman, if there were any issues then I could always get him to help me. In fact, there was an issue but I didn't have to get him to help me. The company took care of it just fine. I received a call about five minutes before 8:00 AM, telling me that the installers would be at my house within the next two hours. But they didn't show up until after 4:30. That had everything to do with how I scheduled my workers at the house that day and it cost me money. I explained that to someone at Empire Today and he asked me what I thought it cost. I told him that it probably cost me $111 and he said, "Well, how about we take off $150." I told him that was fine and he did it so I'm completely satisfied.

I really want them to correct that scheduling problem though. I got the impression that this was just how they do things. But a company as good as Empire shouldn't be doing something like that. That was not respectful of me and my time. When they told me they were gonna be there by 10:00 o'clock but they didn't show up until 4:30, they ruined my day. They had taken a whole day instead of a couple of hours of my day. So many companies act like nobody else is working but everyone else is working.

But the mistake was made with whoever did the scheduling and sent out that automatic call. I wasn't gonna be upset with the workers because someone in the office made a mistake. I was just happy to see them when they finally got there. Plus they did a very good job and were very friendly. They worked with a good attitude and they seemed to enjoy what they were doing. They carpeted over my under-the-house access and I caught that. When I asked them to correct something, they did it with a smile. They didn't act at all like they were a little put out, and they did a nice job of correcting that. To this point, the carpet has been fine too. I expect to have to replace it but it seemed like it would be there for a few years. When it's done, I'll call Empire Today to put in new flooring. I've recommended the company to someone else too.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Empire Today?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

Our sales rep came to the house and couldn’t be more friendly. He even played with the cats. Showed us samples and we chose. I told him and made it a point that I wanted good 8+lb padding. After all of the insanely negative reviews I started panicking. There was absolutely no need to panic. After seeing the reviews and what to look for I walked up to look while they literally vacuumed all other stairs in our house (3 sets of 14 stairs each). I inspected the seam, the cuts around the trim, looked at the trim for marks, made sure all walls were as we had left them- freshly painted. And sure enough it was PERFECT. Upon arrival I asked to see the padding lb and the carpet in the truck. All looked like what I ordered. The 3 guys were so nice. I offered them water and other goodies but they nicely declined.

All in all I am SO INCREDIBLY pleased. I would recommend if you are in the Chester County area of PA. We were so pleased he tipped them as well. Don’t let all of the negative reviews deter you. It depends on the contracted company that arrives. We lucked out big time. A 460 sq ft area was completed in just under 2.5 hours with removal of old carpet and padding to the time of the walk through. Love. Love. Love.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

Nice carpet but not installed as requested. Empire's agent said he would look into my concerns and get back to me soon. At this point, I have been playing phone tag over several weeks trying to get my concerns resolved.

Empire Today response

James, thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We'll be in touch with you shortly to learn more, and start working on a resolution.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I had a very nice experience with Empire Today. I had carpet put in two rooms and I appreciated how quickly it was done. The installer did a great job. We love the carpet and I have no complaints. It was very nice and it cost about as much as I thought it would. I have already recommended Empire Today.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I had carpet installed by Empire Today in the big living room, hallway, bedroom, and stairs, and then a little hallway upstairs. I was kinda disappointed with the carpet. I thought it was actually thicker than it was because I didn't want a carpet that thin, but that’s the way it was. And another thing, I would assume it’s because the carpet is not hefty. The tackless that goes around, you’re stepping on the tackless. It’s coming right through the rug.

I was going with Home Depot, and it was a good carpet. I should’ve stayed with it, but it was 5,000. And Empire Today came up with 2,300. I said I want the good padding. And the rep said that with the good padding down, it’ll make a difference. So, I trusted him and went with it. He also had two color samples only, which I thought was very strange. And we wanted a certain color, but we couldn't get it. We either had to pick the one or the other. And that I wasn’t pleased with. But he was very good and polite.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I had two carpet jobs over the last month with Empire Today. I did a Google search and I didn’t get any other quote from anyone else. And the lady I worked with at Empire was really good and kind. She was also very informative and she answered all my questions. I’m a first-time homeowner so I really didn’t know that I was getting myself into and she kinda helped me pick some realistic options, let me know I could get what I wanted without breaking the bank. But it didn’t feel like she was just trying to only show me their most expensive option. She was very thorough and she showed me different price points and how I could get the look I wanted for a price that was satisfactory. Talking to her made me feel like I was in good hands and I wasn’t about to get ripped off. She was honest about what all the options were and I knew then that I didn’t wanna get any other quotes from anybody else.

I had the carpet installed in the bedroom and the den and so far, the flooring is incredible. The carpet in my bedroom is a nicer carpet and really comfortable. It looks nice. Also, the crew who came to set it up did a really good job. I left the tacks down so they didn’t have to put in new tacks, and it was a pretty simple installation. I like the texture of the carpet and it feels really good on bare feet. It seems like it’s gonna last a long time,too. It's sturdy as well and I’m very satisfied with my experience. It was worthwhile and informative, and I got everything I wanted at a price I could afford. I would recommend Empire Today to friends.

Empire Today expert review by Joseph Truini

The year 1959 saw the founding of Empire Today in Chicago. Since then, the business has grown into a true empire with locations in the majority of U.S. states.

• Products: Empire Today offers carpet, hardwood, laminate, resilient vinyl, tile, even window blinds and shades. Free-in-home estimates are available.

• Financing: Empire Today and Wells Fargo Bank offer financing, including an interest-free option, that charges no interest for 12 months. Another option gives you a 48-month payoff time frame at 9.99 percent interest rate.

• Warranties: Empire Today warranties run a lifetime in some cases, with a still-respectable 30 years in several other cases.

• Outdoor carpeting: Empire sells carpeting for porches, patios and decks. Their short pile height helps keep crushes and dents from forming.

• Installation: Installations are performed by independent contractors who work with Empire Today. Options include next-day installation and half-price deals.

• Best for: Luxury shoppers, budget seekers and people with pets and kids stand to find what they need from Empire Today.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Empire Today Company Information