3.78/5
  • 1 star
Based on 1,740 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1959, Empire Today® has provided Carpet, Hardwood, Laminate, Vinyl, Tile Flooring, and Window Treatments to over 2 million satisfied customers. Offering quality, name-brand products, Empire Today can help you find the product you want, within your budget. Empire brings hundreds of samples to your doorstep. During your free estimate, an experienced Sales Representative will help you choose a floor, take room measurements, and provide an all-inclusive price estimate. And, there’s no need to wait weeks - professional installers can install in-stock styles as soon as the next day. Offering competitive low prices and comprehensive warranties, Empire Today is committed to ensuring your Carpet and Flooring installation experience is top notch and handled by qualified and experienced contractors.

2016 American Business Awards:

The Stevies Company of the Year - Consumer Products - Bronze Winner

The Stevies Company of the Year - Customer Service Department of the Year - Consumer Products - Bronze Winner

Empire Today Video
Empire Today Gallery (5)
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 16, 2017

4465 Empire Today Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Our experience with the Empire has been great from start to finish. The work (floor installation) that was completed was great. I would use them again for any projects in our home. I would refer anyone to them. The thing that stands out the most is how quickly and efficient that worked.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

The workmanship superior. I was very satisfied with the everything. The only complaint is that the sales lady that came to my home never called back to see if I was satisfied. I would think she should have checked to see that I was. I would recommend EMPIRE to everyone. I even do a ad for you.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

Carpet installation after water pipe break in wall - They did exactly what they said they would do, when they said they would do it and at the price they gave me. Completely satisfied. I had heard some sketchy stuff. None proved to be true with this installation. I would definitely use them again. The company that did the clean-up suggested I call them and give them a try. He said, "If you do not like what you hear, you don't have to use them." So I called and 7 days later, I had carpet.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I love the tile I picked, it is very unique and beautiful. The installers were very informative and ready for work everyday. The one thing I don't understand is that the salesman, Jed, told me that there is very minimal grout lines when installed. After installation, it looks like the average grout of any tile, the planks are not butted together as he said they would be.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I had nothing but good things to say about the men that installed my new flooring. They were amazing, and helpful. Very polite and easy to talk to. They were done in no time at all. Clean and cleaned as they went.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Empire Today?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I have been watching the ad of Empire Today on television for a while and I felt that they were doing a pretty good work. And then, somebody that I know had used them and she was very happy with them. I purchased a carpet from them for the three bedrooms, a hallway, and the stairs. The carpet is mainly beige and I like the color. The installers that were here were very nice, did a very good job and didn't hang around. They were in and out in about four hours. I'm very happy and delighted that I called and arranged for Empire to come in and put the carpet down.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I was extremely happy with my carpet purchase and installation. They installed the carpet the next day after I placed my order with the salesman. Very quick service. The installers were very nice and professional. The only complaint I have is that they did scratch some paint off my stairway banister and spindles. So I had to fix that with touch up paint. Otherwise it was an overall good experience. I love the new carpet. It really makes a huge difference in our home. Would use Empire again.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

If you can, do not bother with this company. I had Empire come out with lady to give me a estimate on carpet for my home. This lady was not so friendly and pushy. The consultation began with the needed measurements for my home and viewing of some carpet samples... When I found the color of my choice she typed in some numbers in her tablet and gave me an extremely high price. I told her that I was not paying that amount for the carpet and I will be looking into more estimates. She then went down, again and again to a good deal that I was sold on. Moving on to installation day, Empire came with a young gentleman that looked about 18 years old (if that) and a adult about mid-thirties maybe... They came and put the carpet down which look nice once they were done. But, when they left I found that carpet was not laying right at a threshold that meets into one of my bedrooms.

I had a repair guy come out to do the repair and they found that the previous installers did not change my carpet padding on the second level of my home. Now if I never would have gotten the repair, I would not have known this even occurred. So, I called Empire again for the second time to report this and I get a runaround until finally I get a set date to have the padding that I paid for installed and they also had to give me new carpet for the second level of my home.

I can tell you, what a NIGHTMARE!! The issue was fixed but Empire customer service is terrible. With the hassle like this, you would think that they would compensate the customer in some type of way...nope, just a repair and move along. Now I have another issue found with the install and with the customer service department being such a headache, I don't even want to bother! Go elsewhere to get your carpet, laminate done. Ripoff/ higher prices than most and customer service is terrible.

Lesilee,
We're disappointed to know that your installation did not meet your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us, and we'll be in touch with you shortly to learn more.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I've used Empire Today before because of the cost and the quality carpeting. They also did a good job of installing the carpet and it was a nice detailed work. That has been a good experience so I purchased from them again. This time, they installed carpets in two bedrooms and in the basement playroom of an investment home that I have and I'm going to sell.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I had some bad experiences with other companies and Empire Today was reasonably priced. I purchased a carpet as well as some wood flooring for our living room and three bedrooms. The flooring was installed a month and a half ago and the installers were able to finish the job in one day. The carpet is nice and soft while the wood flooring is very durable, scratch-proof and wet-proof. I like both of them and I can’t ask for anything better than that. As a matter of fact, I’m thinking about getting the kitchen done with the wood flooring and have the same guys back, too.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Installers showed up. Didn’t have all the material, told me it was not part of project, showed them my contract where it was clearly part of the project, they had wrong color trim, told me that was the color we picked, again on my contract it stated it was to be white not rosewood, they immediately said they could not do the floor. Didn’t even try to get material from the shop which was only 30 min away, then I called customer service got the runaround, called the salesmen Pete.

Got the runaround, the installers just left without telling me, no return call from anyone from Empire and salesmen wouldn’t answer his phone to give me some answers, called a number of times and left message after message, I have my kitchen torn apart and I have to cancel my countertop appt for the template, they totally inconvenience me and messed up my schedule,I also took off work so I am losing money now!! I paid in full at time of sale and was promised job would be completed to my satisfaction!! I will not recommend them to anyone. So disappointed!!! More like pissed off!! Very unprofessional!!

Bill,
We understand your frustration, and we assure you that we take matters such as these very seriously. We'll be further investigating your concerns.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Empire Today had half price off sale. The rep was very nice and accommodating. When I changed my mind and took out a room and added something, he didn’t act like it was a big deal. He didn’t make me feel bad about changing stuff after I ordered it. Also, the installers were quick, efficient and they cleaned up. Empire was really good but their price was high, even the half price off is a high price compared when trying to get something really cheap. That aside, I’m happy with Empire Today.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I recently purchased $7,000 in new floors for my house and nothing but issues...The vinyl has air bubbles everywhere and have seams that were done sloppily. Then they had to shave my doors after they put in a subfloor I did not need. When they shaved the door it is uneven and needs replaced. Looks like a child with a saw got a hold of it. They left the old vinyl in the house and installed new over instead of tearing out as they said they would. Carpet was even worse experience. They scuffed my walls and now need a painter to touch them up.

They didn’t bother to cut out the vents. I had to and they threw one of my vents away. Luckily I found it. They also never installed the runner on the stairs as they were supposed to and I PAID FOR!!!! And to top it off I've been fighting for three weeks to get someone to fix it and compensate me for the damage and issues and no one wants to call me back or fix their mistakes and I fear I will need to find a lawyer and sue for damages and not providing the service I PAID for! Spend a little more and have it done right. Save yourself the headache.

Allen,
We're read your review and we're sorry to hear about your installation experience. This is not the level of service that we expect for our customers, and we'll be in touch with you shortly to learn more.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Louis, the sales rep who guided my purchase, was not pushy and was very easy to speak to. He went above and beyond by measuring all rooms we were thinking about doing and then listened to me and helped craft a product and plan that was exactly right for my needs. I experienced a hiccup during my installation process whereby I scheduled an installation for a Saturday and unfortunately their truck broke down. This caused me to have to reschedule to a day I was working and was not able to oversee the installation.

I took the liberty of removing most of my furniture as I thought it would benefit me in cost and benefit the installers by making the job go faster and easier. After the installation I have not been contacted by Empire except by email. I have since found four carpet tacks that I surmise were not properly hammered down. It was not painful to find them barefoot but thankfully no other person was hurt. I would appreciate a call back to see if I can perhaps have a slight discount due to the scheduling mishap, found tacks. Thank you for time.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I considered two brands other than Empire Today and they were similar but we were really impressed with the Empire salesman. He was helpful and knowledgeable, and we felt confident going with him. They installed carpet in my living room and I like the feel of it.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

The whole installation (Carpet - Living room flooring - Kitchen flooring) and quality of work was very good. The only problem I had was getting the final payment getting taken out. I spent many phone calls to numerous people to finally get the carpet payment paid, it was quite a bit of hassle for me. This portion of the deal was the only problem I had, it took 3 weeks to get it squared away. I finally called Jeff ** the consultant and he got it taken care of for that final payment. (Thanks Jeff).

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Empire Today has caused me so much stress. THEY are the worst COMPANY I have ever dealt with. THEY gladly took our money and we are so unhappy with the flooring and called them the very day it was completed. No one there cares nor has bothered to come back to our home to see the work that has been done, they lie frequently. This company should be ashamed at the way they treat people. Just look at the reviews. So many unhappy consumers with the same story. Why can’t someone stop them?

Dear Bonnie,
We're saddened to hear that this was your experience, and we assure you that we take matters such as this one very seriously. We'll further review your concerns, and we'll be in touch with you soon.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Had a vinyl floor installed in an upstairs bathroom and also had the old floor removed. Every bit of this project went well from sales to installation. This usually does not happen with home improvement projects so we were very pleasantly surprised. Also everyone we had dealings with was very professional. Will definitely use Empire again.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

A month ago, I had Empire Today install a new carpet. I looked at others but Empire Today matched their prices. They were great and very nice to let me reschedule the installation since I wanted to finish painting. The installers came at about 2 pm and worked until they got it done at almost 9 pm. They did a good job.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I had my carpet installed by Empire Today. It was for a summer home that we have. I like their price and availability. Also, the installation people were fine. I wish they got there a little earlier but besides that, they did a great job. I would recommend Empire Today to others.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I had a very nice experience with Empire! The quality of the carpet is very nice and the installers were very professional and quick. I love the design of the carpet, which is so modern. The light gray color was just what I was looking for. It matches perfectly with the color of the walls. I didn’t know that Empire had carpet with such a contemporary style.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

When calling for an appt, customer service could not be more helpful, however when I needed them to help me with a problem, they were useless. My blind needed repair under warranty, I was charged 75.00 for them to come to my house. The blind was removed, and almost 3 months later and at least 8 phone call to customer service, I still have no blind. I was told that Empire does not deal with the manufacturer anymore, and I was responsible to have the repair myself. So helpful to get the order, but any problems they are awful! My claim #**. I can not add an image because they still have my blind.

Susan,
We're disappointed to hear that about the lack of follow up that you've received. We thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention, and we'll be following up with you shortly to start working towards a resolution.

Resolution response: Dec. 11, 2017

I previously wrote a review on my experience with Empire Today that was less than favorable. I had issues with lack of remnants left in case of any future emergency, with a screw that was not reinstalled appropriately which allowed my puppy to get it and luckily I was able to retrieve it before any damage was done, and lack of follow up on requests from me by your sales rep.

After receiving that review Susan from customer service (Wilsonville) contacted me and went out of her way to make sure my issues were addressed promptly. When I say "went out of her way", I mean to say she went above and beyond by even coming to my home to address the screw issue on a Saturday after her work had finished. She ordered and brought me a segment of remnant and dealt with the screw issue. She completely changed the tone of my experience by her extra efforts. I've updated my "rate your experience" stars from 2 - 4 just based on her amazing follow up. Kudos to Susan for rocking the customer service provided to me.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Ehsam was very quick to follow up with my request for an estimate. He was personable and seemed knowledgeable. I ordered through him and when I determined that I wanted to take advantage of your 12 month no interest loan, he was quick to see that was processed. The products were ordered appropriately and I got good follow up from the website regarding arrival of the installers. The installers appeared on time, but had the wrong order in their van. One stayed behind to start removing existing flooring while the other returned to the warehouse to get my order. Once he returned they got to work and used their time well. Because they had another job scheduled the following day (?) they needed to cram through mine and worked until after 9 p.m. that night. Because it was late and they were needing to get home, my review of the final job was done very quickly.

Now that it has settled in a bit I will say the following: 1. I like the products that I received. 2. I appreciated that the installers also moved my furniture as needed. 3. There are a lot of fibers breaking away from the carpet which is requiring more clean up than expected. (I'm not sure if this is normal or not - probably is.) 4. I found that the heat vent in the kitchen was not reinstalled appropriately and my new puppy was working on a screw that was about to fall out - but I luckily caught her before she could swallow it. I've tried to screw it in myself, but it appears the hole is blocked with flooring. 5. Immediately after the installers left I realized they had not left behind any remnants of the products so that if I ever had an emergent need in the future I would have the appropriate product available for the needed repair or replacement. I texted Ehsam and he replied he would see what he could do.

I didn't hear from him after that, so I texted him again 2 weeks later (on 11/30) asking if he had been able to get me the needed remnants. Again, no reply by him, so I texted a request that he at least have the courtesy of replying to my inquiry four days later and he responded with apologies and asked for my "patience" until he could check with the office in the morning. Here we are... 3 more days after that and Ehsam has chosen to not follow up. So although the initial contact with Ehsam and Empire Today was excellent, things have steadily gone south from there.

I'm now very concerned that the installation may still have issues and I will not be able to address them without remnants and hugely disappointed that Ehsam has chosen to disregard my repeated requests. I think I've been patient enough and so my feeling about this experience at this point is definitely less than my original 5 stars. Good quality installation and follow up by your sales representative are things that are very important to your customer's overall experience. I'm disappointed.

Diana,
Your satisfaction is important to us, and we're disappointed to hear that your overall experience was not a positive one. We'll be in touch with you shortly to learn more.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I was looking for somebody who knows good carpets and knows what they're doing, and Empire Today's sales team was very knowledgeable and friendly so I chose them. We had them install carpet in my living room and bedroom. The carpet has met my expectations and I'd recommend Empire Today to friends and family. One gets their money's worth.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

A man from Empire Today came to the house and they have the carpet my husband and I agreed on. We got it at a good price and we had them install carpet in our living room, hallway, entryway and upstairs foyer. However, they did not do right in one bedroom and when we closed the door, it bent both the door. My husband had to do something himself ‘cause we never got a callback. He laid something down and it’s okay now.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

We are very satisfied with our carpet and installation from Empire. The only thing that would have made it better is if it had not been delayed by a guy calling in sick on the installation date. The carpet looks great and is holding up very well so far.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

My experience with Empire all around was outstanding. Thank You! I will recommend Empire to family and friends. Customer service was great. The salesman was on time and detailed about ordering. Service crew was very pleasant and courteous. Thanks again.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Let's be clear as far as the carpet I received from Empire it's Great and worth every penny. Now as far as the installation it was awesome. You do see that I said it was because I am now able to close any door not a bedroom nor bathroom and when I informed customer service I was told that someone would contact me. Well it's been almost if not a month and no one has called me yet.

Dear Corey,
Thanks for your feedback. We're sorry to hear that your concerns have not been addressed, and we apologize for the inconvenience. We'll be in touch with your shortly to further discuss your experience.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Nice carpet and install! However baseboards are marked up. Would use Empire again! But other installers. Carpet looks beautiful and color is good. Thank you! Very good texture and feel of carpeting! Ok thank you.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Everything from the initial consultation, communication, and installation were excellent. The consultant didn't try to up-sell us into a product we didn't need and was respectful of our timelines and preferences. Carpet looks great! Wish we had done it sooner!

Empire Today Company Information