toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

From start to finish, I was extremely satisfied with the salesman (Mike) who sold me the carpeting for my basement. He was very professional and knowledgeable about the full carpet product line sold by Empire Today. He helped me to make a very good carpet selection as well as negotiate a very good price. On the day of installation, the installers were experienced and professional, they handled job with care, and arrived at my home on time. After the installation was complete, they reviewed the job with me to make sure I was completely satisfied and provided me with access information for Empire Today website and how to take care/maintain the carpet purchased. I am a very happy with how the carpet makes my home look stylish and comfortable. Thank you, Empire Today!

We looked around at a couple of different stores but a neighbor had used Empire Today and recommended them. We had them install the carpeting in our home. We started off with a set of stairs. We liked the carpet so much so we had them come back out to have a quote and do an entire second landing, another set of stairs and then into our master bedroom. It's so soft and we love the color which which we got throughout the whole house and we love it. We had to stay neutral because our house is up for sale. The service is great. The service and product are great and we love them.

I hired Empire to replace the carpet in the three bedrooms and hallway. I wanted the same thing I had there for the den but they no longer had that available, so I chose something else. I'm 83 years old and vacuuming is not that easy anymore. And what I had in the bedrooms and the hall was easier to vacuum than this one that I chose. But I still manage to do it. Then I had a new floor covering put in my kitchen and entrance way. I've been very pleased with the quality and the installation of the carpets and flooring. If I had to replace any of them, I would certainly call Empire back. Also, when I called for them to bring the samples for the kitchen, I asked for Mickey because he had been here when I replaced the den carpet. He's a very good representative, very pleasant, very mannerly and not pushy.

I've always gone with Empire Today in the past and my family has too so when we made the decision to have our kitchen floor done, I just called Empire and set it up. We bought the interlocking vinyl plank flooring and the wood grain pattern on the floor was our primary factor for making that decision. We also really liked the color. For the installation, I was very impressed with the work and they even came out a second time to do a repair. It was all fantastic. Plus, it's guaranteed for such a long period of time against crack and/or fading that was a huge bonus to find something that would meet those specifics. It's the best overall quality for the price and I like that Empire Today stands behind their flooring.

I was looking at other brands and I was looking for the most I can get for my money and quality. Since I could get the carpet done in a fairly short time with Empire Today, I decided on them. I had carpet installed throughout the house I’m going to sell except for the kitchen and bath. I have not sold it yet, but I haven’t had any complaints on the carpet. Everybody was there when they're supposed to be.

They came to measure the next day and installed several days later per our mutual needs. Everything was cleaned up and they're back doing another job as I'm writing this review. I certainly recommend them for any carpeting needs. We haven't tried out their window treatments yet.

Dear Kathryn,
We regret to hear that this was your experience, and understand that your order was cancelled per your request. If you continue to have questions and/or concerns please contact us at customersupport@empire-today.com.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I contacted Empire Today online to schedule an estimate for carpet. The sales person showed up on time. He however parked on my neighbor's lawn and caused a commotion that resulted in the two of them yelling at each other. I invited him in nevertheless. The sale person took measurements electronically and sketched the two areas. He asked what type of carpet I wanted and gave me two choices. I selected one and he went to do the estimate and told me that was no longer available. So really I had one choice. I asked him for the density of the carpet and he told me he did not know it. I asked him the face weight and he was able to tell me it was 64 oz. He gave me the estimate and we agreed to have them do the work. He had me sign at least 6 documents electronically and several paper ones. However, he did not give me anything before he left. Not even a business card.

He did tell me that I would receive the documents electronically and the date of installation (10 days from the appointment date) and time. 3 days later I had not received any documents so I called Empire Today and was told I had to contact the sale person. I asked for his phone number and stated he had not given me a business card. They first had to call him and see if it was okay to give me his number. They gave me his number. When I called him it went to voice mail, but he did return my call within 1/2 hour. However, he told me that I would have to call the company to get the e-mail. He no longer had access to it. So the next day I called Empire Today again and asked for the contract to be e-mailed to me. I was told that the e-mail would be sent in 1 - 3 business days. I inquired why it took this long and was told it was "their" procedure.

After I hung up I was still not sure I had made the right decision. I tried to find the carpet he had sold me to find out more specifications for it. After much searching I found the Pleasant Valley carpet listed on the Empire Today website only under warranty and discovered it was manufactured by Phenix. However when you go to the Phenix website there is no such carpet listed. The next day my husband received a voice mail from the installer asking to return the call and confirm the installation. I had asked the salesman to only use that number if they were not able to reach me. I had not received any call regarding the installation. I called the number left by the installer and was told the same appointment date but was told they would call me between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. on that date to let me know what time they would arrive to do the installation.

I asked for a smaller time frame and was told "this is our procedure". At this point I was sure I had made a mistake and asked for the order to be cancelled immediately. The person I was talking with said they would need to transfer me to the cancellation department. I was on hold over 5 minutes before "Davon" answered. He was a hard salesman and attempted to convince me not to cancel the order. Twice he asked me to hold while he processed the cancellation and each time he came back with an attempt to keep my business by lowering the price. The first was a $250 reduction in price from $2,600 to $2,350. The second time he offered $2,000. If they can afford to reduce the price by 23% at this point, they obviously are overcharging their customers. Davon made comments that he would be able to micro manage the installation from here and all would go well.

I stated that Empire Today should have all employees be willing to offer their best not just the last guy attempting to save the sale. I finally had to tell him that even if he gave it to me free I would not take the carpet due to the issues I had gone through in the last 5 days. He finally did process the cancellation and gave me a cancellation #, but when asked to e-mail it to me he told me that he had no way to e-mail me anything at this point. My experience was not that different from at least 10 others in Florida and I should have read the reviews prior to getting a quote. I am looking elsewhere for carpet in my own community with a store front and people who care.

Dear Kim,
Thank you for making us aware of your concerns. We'll be in contact with you soon to discuss your experience.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

Basically good work. Left some unfinished flooring in kitchen. Still trying to resolve the discrepancy with amount owed... Have eliminated carpet for hallways but can't seem to get an adjusted amount owed. Customer service/call center is great!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Empire Today?

Dear Jason,
We're disappointed to hear that your concerns have not been addressed, and assure you that we take matters such as this one very seriously. We'll be in contact with you soon to start working towards a resolution.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

The purpose of this correspondence is to express my disgust and disappointment with Empire. For a company that has extensive advertisements on television and stands firm by their mission to please customers, they have really shown me what customer service should never be. My first disastrous experience with Empire was on 7/8/2015 order #** (Owings Mills, MD). After shopping around and getting quotes from different companies to install carpet in my house I just purchased, I made a conscious decision to go with Empire because of the representation of the company over the phone, and in person when the representative came out to give me an estimate.

The initial meeting went great and I was given a date for installation. The installers, contractors that Empire uses and goes with the lowest bidder, came out and had to take cable wiring off of various parts of my wall throughout my house. After the carpet was installed, the gentleman informed me he was finished and asked me to sign some documents. Prior to signing the documents, I informed him I wanted to see the work that was done.

As I checked out each of the rooms, I noticed that the wiring, that was removed by Empire, was still hanging. I asked the gentleman if he was going to finish the work by placing the wires back where he found them, and he informed me that he would not. I could not understand his resistance, for he was the one that removed these wires. I asked him again to please put all the wiring back as he found it and he again said he wasn’t doing it. At this point I became upset and told him to get out of my house. I called Empire and informed them of this unprofessional behavior by a contractor they hired and told them that my install was not complete. Of course, they apologized for this experience and tried to send the installer back continuing to apologize. After that experience, I vowed I would not utilize Empire again.

Although I had a tumultuous experience the first time, I decided to give Empire another chance. I again shopped around for quotes on replacing my kitchen floors and because of the promises from the salesperson, I put my faith in Empire, unfortunately, again (order #**). The salesperson took measurements and gave me a price and date for installation after receiving my 10% down payment.

The day of the installation, I took off from work (losing money for the day), disconnected my gas stove, and disconnected my refrigerator placing the food items in a couple of coolers prior to the installers’ arrival. The installers arrived and were professional upon greeting me. Within a few minutes of their arrival, I noticed them looking at the floor and discussing something in Spanish. Shortly after I was informed that they were not going to be able to perform the installation because of an issue they observed, within minutes, with my sub-floor. Of course, this issue was going to cost me a significant amount of extra money. The installers stated that this was something the salesperson should have noticed and factored in with the estimate. I lost money for the day, had to reconnect my refrigerator, and lost various food items all for nothing.

As a consumer I just thought you should know that I have never experienced such an unprofessional inconsistent company in my life. Your attention to detail is horrible and all your company seems to care about is completing a sale. The sales personnel only cares about getting that commitment and could care less about the ending result. I was the fool for giving your company a second chance and I will inform everybody within my sub-division about my experience. This is a terrible representation of your company and your company as a whole should be ashamed.

We were pleased with the installation of our bedroom carpet. The representative came to our home and showed us many types of carpets with different prices. She was very helpful in our decision making for a nice carpet. The installation went well; workers were very good and respectful.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Empire employees were very professional from the Sales Man to the Appointment Confirmation Lady to the employees who did the installation. I am very happy with my plush carpet and dark laminate. I had a early appointment which was great. I had 2 crew working at the same time. Both crews worked well together especially with not much space to work with. "A Team" I was very fortunate to have a terrific crew!!!

Hard wood: We love the product, and it's made in U.S. The installer was professional and very gifted at his craft. He was fast and we love details on his work. I would recommend him anytime. He was courteous and neat as well.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I expected the price to be higher than local buddies who do flooring work, but wanted a contract for complete and outstanding service and product. I got that. The price was right and the installers were outstanding. I would highly recommend Empire over a cheaper alternative. Very happy with the final product. I intend to use Empire again for some blinds I need.

Dear Shawn,
Your concerns are important to us, and we're disappointed to hear that this was your experience. We'll be following up with you soon to learn more.

Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

You get what you pay for. It was the lowest price I could find around here. Paid over $3,600 for a high quality carpet. The installers completed everything in one day vs the 3 days that was given as an estimate. I know some rooms were very large but I wasn't expecting to be able to see the seam that easily. I ended up with a broken house fan, broken outlet covers and a damage foam mattress topper. Consider the things you will find broken over the next few days into your budget.

Rep never got financing option correct in my first order. I still have not heard from the rep, even though customer service in Chicago set up an appointment to meet. No Call. No Show. 2nd rep for a different order was perfect. The installers on both orders were OUTSTANDING!!! Been a customer since 1994, and never had a problem until now.

They did an outstanding job installing the carpeting. Very satisfied with the product. Sales did very well explaining the different brands and styles as well. They were quick to arrive and out in the carpet in a timely manner. The sales department beat all competitors in price.

Great customer service. He didn't push me to buy the most expensive one but instead helped me get a carpet in my price range and that works for our household. Love the carpets, very good quality. Definitely will use them again.

John, our sales rep, was very knowledgeable about the product and the different patterns he showed us during the quote process. We were so enlightened about the time that Empire could do it in a matter of a few days from what we were quoted by others. That sealed the deal for my wife and myself. Very professional installers with no problems and it only took about 2-3 hrs to install our area.

The 1st carpet people that came out were not prepared then left without doing the job. 2 days later others came back same thing they left. 1 week later a few men came and completed the job the right way and were courteous and seemed to know what they were doing. They are the ones I would give all the credit to. So it took 3 weeks in all when it was only supposed to take 2 days. The carpets look good but because of the people who came in last to do it. Nobody called us to let us know when the rest of them we're going to come back. We had to call. It was a very crazy two weeks.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Set up an appointment because I had a coupon. Coupon was not applied. When called to inquire, no one wanted to help and unable to apply. FALSE ADVERTISING! I still have no idea how to clean the floors. It was not explained to me what product to use on the new laminate flooring for cleaning/maintaining. I guess I have to Google it? The final price was not shown to me. When I called to ask, I kept being told to call Synchrony, the credit company. It is completely frustrating to get anything answered. How is it that Empire can't tell me what they charged? Very shady. It seems that as soon as I signed the contract, NO ONE WANTED TO HELP ME! Also, there was NO FOLLOW-UP on how the completion of the job was. I WOULD NOT USE THIS COMPANY AGAIN.

Empire did a very good job installing my outdoor carpet on my front entry. I would like to see a broader choice of carpeting, but the quality of carpet they did offer was good. Overall very happy with the service. The salesman was pleasant and presented the carpet well and explained the installation.

Remove old floor and install new one. Had to come back and repair dent in floor. They returned a week later and fixed the problem with the floor. The work was completed as I had expected considering they had to come from Mass. to Maine.

My wife and I were very pleased with the 1st job Empire did when they replaced our kitchen floor. However, when we called them back for a quote on replacing the carpet in our boys room, the guy who came out gave us one price which we thought was a bit too high but we decide to think about it. We were expecting him or a representative to call us back and discuss it (like the first job they performed) but they never did! My wife had to call back and when she did the representative said they had no record of the quote!! They then send out another guy who gave us a quote that was even higher than the first. (This led us to believe that the first guy did not give a quote the company was pleased with so they fabricating losing the records in order to give the quote they preferred). It was our intentions to use them for future jobs but given this experience we are inclined to just use someone more consistent and reliable in their pricing methods.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Empire Today has been such a pleasure to work with. Their staff is professional, courteous and genuinely cares about their customers. The sales staff always keeps our best interest in mind even if it means less money for them. The customer service staff has been very thorough and polite. The installers are very professional and always go above and beyond. We have had two rooms done and will have many more projects this year. We are lifelong customers!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Problems arose and were professionally dealt with. The morning of installation, we were told our selected carpet was out of stock. This was troubling. But the manager at the warehouse was remarkably helpful and Empire ended up giving us an upgrade in carpet for no extra cost. My only complaint is in regards to installation. We had spend two weeks painting the rooms to be carpeted, and when they installed the carpet in one of the rooms, they scraped up my baseboard trim pretty badly. I will now need to sand down the baseboards and repaint if I want a smooth finish. Not something I am looking forward to doing with brand new carpet.

From beginning to final installation this was easy and quick at a very good price. Very friendly associates. They listened to our specific needs and did not try to oversell their products. They worked within our schedule for all aspects of the job.

I thought the overall process was really great. Our sales rep was patient and kind and did all he could to help us get the carpet we liked at a price we were comfortable with. The only thing I have an issue with is the amount of carpet left over. We paid for a lot of extra carpet that we can't use! The reps should take better care to make accurate measurements.

Resolution In Progress

Installers weren't knowledgeable because carpet is buckling 2 years after installation. If carpet was installed correctly, using a power stretcher, then carpet would not be doing this. I called the company and they said 'sorry, they only stand behind it for 1 year.' Well guess what, buckling won't start 'til 2-5 years after being incorrectly installed. I've received 2 quotes from companies and for 2 rooms, stretching is going to cost us around $400. Both companies told us if carpet were installed right the first time this problem would have never occurred. The said 2 companies also told me they back their work with a lifetime warranty because when done right the carpet will not buckle. Customer service is one of the highest values of a solid company and the fact Empire won't budge to help us speaks volumes.

Consumer Changed Rating

Resolution response: Aug. 10, 2017

Now that I have had a company response I woulf like to lower my rating. It took a call back from cooperate , only to defend 1 of their misactions. I assure you if there was only 1 mistake I would not be writing this review. I definitely would tell anyone to avoid this company. Price is not as important as treatment to me. I have had different departments make promises or speculations without actually talking to me. It has been 2 days and no notification that my order was cancelled. I will be shopping with a local company so that my needs and questions,will be resolved with care and concern

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

After shopping several places I put my trust in my local Rep. He was kind and experienced, but this is where the review go south. I did not take on the first appointment, received an offer from Corporate to complete my special offer and receive a discount. Well, after 30 minutes my discount was a whopping 34 dollars. I went forward with the install and everything was ok, until I found out that I had to move my stove and turn the gas off myself. Long story short I removed a toilet and a sink thinking that this was my only items to remove. Now the company said they wanted more. Customer service was slow to call back and did not keep their promises. I have lost faith in this company, and tell people to be aware of potential issues.

I have had a ongoing issue with carpet that Empire Today installed that is buckling. I have had to call numerous times to be told that someone would call me within 24 hours. I then have to call after each 24 hour period to follow up to be told the same thing, someone will call me within 24 hours. I was then told by a customer service representative on August 4th that a free re-stretch was going to be offered to me and that the local market in Atlanta was working out the details, and that a manager would call me back within 24 hours.

I finally received a call from Michelle at phone number 866-588-2306 ext. ** who identified herself as a manager and told me they could complete the repairs at a discounted rate. I have now tried to call their main customer service number to be connected to their corporate office and have been disconnected several times. Stay away, they do not stand by their products or service and their customer service is poor.

I have purchased flooring from Empire Today in 2 different cities and NEVER experienced what I endured in North Carolina. I contacted Empire Today for new hardwood flooring and the salesman came out to show me their offerings within the designated timeframe. The salesman asked for $50 deposit and then full payment when the installer arrives given I was paying cash. The installers arrived and I paid the balance with a check. The installers went out to their truck for 1.5 hours and came back in the house stating 'the system was slow' and returned the check to me as a receipt. They proceeded with the installation of the floor.

After the 1st day, they started to have issues with the size of my steps and I had to call the salesman twice. Each time he promised to come out to the house within the hour and showed up 2 hours later. The installers spoke little English and struggled to articulate their concerns. Anyway, when the salesman showed up the last time, he gave me 2 numbers of individuals to call to handle repayment of a picture that was broken by the installers. He even supplied their email addresses. Of course, NO RESPONSE from those individuals. I ended up calling customer service to get a claim started.

Now the fun begins - I went on vacation which the salesman knew. I got a couple of calls while on vacation stating that the installers made a mistake in giving me back the check and when I return from vacation, they wanted to pick up the check. Fine. While still on vacation, I was contacted again asking me if they could come to collect the check. I explained I am still on vacation and it will wait until I return. I was then told, "you won't get your money for the picture until your balance is paid." Finally, the same woman called me with an attitude asking me if I was ready - which I replied yes, but to have the installer contact me directly as I will not sit around waiting for them to show up as we had to do with the salesman.

4 more days passed and finally the installer contacts me and he picks up the check on the same day! Empire Today processed the check on 0714 and it cleared my account 0717. Today is 08/07 and I have yet to receive my money back for the broken picture either by check or credit card. Tonight I was told, "well if you paid by check - they will issue a check, but oh- I see you paid the deposit with a ccard and the local company is closed and we will have to open a claim request." I have a vacation home that I contemplated using Empire Today to put the flooring in, but I can assure you this is not going to happen given this experience. They need to come into the millennium and figure out how to electronically process checks w/o requiring the hard form.

Additionally, some courses in customer service and honoring your commitments is in order! I shouldn't have to chase them down to issue repayment for damage in my home after the balance was paid in full 3 weeks ago. Viri confirmed they had notations they were to issue the refund when balance was paid in full and yet it did not happen. It's obvious their management team is not interested in providing exemplary customer experience. If you live in NC, find another flooring company. There are some good ones out there that care about their customers based on feedback from friends in the area. BTW - the installers did a great job, just left a lot of dust which was expected. Too bad their supporting team did not offer same quality of service.

I scheduled a flooring install measurement for Monday 5-7. The rep called and left a message. I immediately called back and he says “WHATUP PLAYA!” Either being disrespectful or thinking I was someone else. He asks if he can come now (which is around 4pm), and I said the appointment is between 5-7 and I am supposed to get a call ahead. We agreed on 5:30, so I get my realtor to open the door and me and my wife leave work early to get there.

5:45 rolls around and he isn't there. I texted him and he says “I will be there 8:30-9:00pm”, because he moved an appointment from 7-9 to my spot. What kind of business doesn't inform the customer that they are moving their appointment??? I should’ve looked at all the negative reviews and not made this appointment. This isn't the first time this has happened. I call and they offer a $50 credit. Lol. No thanks, I will go with a respectful company. Stay away from this company. Negative reviews should not be ignored.

Empire Today installed our carpet. We figured out that Empire had a couple of good things to offer at the time that we made the decision. One of the factors was that they had good pricing on the project that we had in mind. Their customer service was good as well. We were able to get someone at the house pretty fast since we have a bit of a time constraint with getting this project completed.

We just had a couple of hiccups along the way. Initially, the measurements taken at the time they did the first consultation was apparently incorrect. At the day when we had to get the installation done, the installers came out but due to bad weather, they couldn't do it, which I understand since it was not under our control. They had to reschedule and I had to take time off again the second time. They came by, started the work, and realized that they were short on materials because the measurements taken were not accurate.

So, I had to take a third day off from work to try and figure out how that could be handled. They had to come back in on a third day to complete it. What should have technically been a one day's job, ended up being in a span of three days. It was definitely not a very pleasant experience, only because I do have a tough time getting time off from work. It put a bit of pressure and that definitely worked against us. For three days, I was taking care of the needs at home, the family and the pets that we have. It was relatively inconvenient but we did get past that last stage.

The price and the quality of the product are good. Since the installation was done on the second floor of the house, we found out that the floor has been creaking a little bit in some spots after the installation. We're starting to find the issues in small pockets so there are just minor issues that we would like to have that looked at, at some point in time. The rest of the experience has been good. We would definitely consider Empire Today for future projects, hoping that things get better as far as the measurement and scheduling are concerned.

Empire Today Company Profile