Call toll free
3.12/5
Based on 1,345 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1959, Empire Today® has provided Carpet, Hardwood, Laminate, Vinyl, Tile Flooring, and Window Treatments to over 2 million satisfied customers. Offering quality, name-brand products, Empire Today can help you find the product you want, within your budget. Empire brings hundreds of samples to your doorstep. During your free estimate, an experienced Sales Representative will help you choose a floor, take room measurements, and provide an all-inclusive price estimate. And, there’s no need to wait weeks - professional installers can install in-stock styles as soon as the next day. Offering competitive low prices and comprehensive warranties, Empire Today is committed to ensuring your Carpet and Flooring installation experience is top notch and handled by qualified and experienced contractors.

2016 American Business Awards:

The Stevies Company of the Year - Consumer Products - Bronze Winner

The Stevies Company of the Year - Customer Service Department of the Year - Consumer Products - Bronze Winner

Empire Today Video
Empire Today Gallery (5)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

6692 Empire Today Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

My daughter and my son had Empire Today, and I saw their carpets. I figured if they went with Empire, I would too, and I did. We had carpeting installed and we had it done twice. First, we had the family room downstairs, and then we had the living room and dining room done. Our interactions with the reps the first time were really good, but the second time, I didn’t know what was going on and it wasn’t that great. I called for the second project as I was going to get the bedroom done and the stairs, and they called to see why I got the estimate, what was wrong and why I didn’t get the carpet. I told the lady rep that the salesman told me it wasn’t on sale and he gave me a price over the phone, which was way too much. We got our carpeting on sale before and we got a premium carpet. But the carpet that was offered by the salesman cost twice as much and we weren’t getting as much.

The lady rep had someone else come out and measure. She was supposed to be giving us special pricing. However, the salesman that came was supposed to put in a change order because of the difference in price. That went on for almost two weeks. He was supposed to have the correct amount on it, and instead of $2,400, it would be 1,400. That never took place, however, until the morning of the installation. I called and said that if I did not see proof that it was only going to be $1,400, I wasn’t getting it. The installers called them in the morning and told them that they couldn’t understand me. But they weren’t speaking much English, so it was kind of hard to get them to understand what was going on. That situation took a lot of time and a lot of calls.

I felt good about the first two guys that came and installed the floor. They were both Mexicans, and one spoke very good English while the other one hardly spoke at all. But that was fine because I could communicate. Then with the second group of installers that came, one didn’t speak any English while the second one spoke minimal English. It was hard to communicate with them as well. When someone asked me about Empire, I told them that I would recommend it. But I also told them about the miscommunications. I would recommend to Empire that there should be one person that can really speak good English when the crew comes out to install the carpet. Still, I really like the carpet and I was pleased with the installation. I would go with Empire again because I also need a kitchen floor and a bathroom floor.

Get expert buying tips about Flooring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I asked someone who had some flooring done in his house who he worked with and he said Empire. Also, I would always see commercials of Empire Today and I thought about getting a quote. I liked the pricing and I wanted it to match the quality of what I was getting. The salesman asked me if I ever considered vinyl floor and I said no. He showed me a sample and I had it installed everywhere except the kitchen and the bathroom. I had carpet before and now that I have the vinyl flooring, it looks like a totally different house.

The installation was a little tedious at first. The previous owner had tile underneath tiles and we had to go through the whole check to see if there was asbestos. That delayed some of the flooring but the installer went ahead and did what he could. He called his supervisor, and he gave me the number to somebody in this area that does the testing. I was able to get in contact with the people that do the testing and they came out the same day. While the people were working, the person who checked for asbestos gave me the results over the phone and then sent me an email with the information. The installer called me and he was saying initially that he couldn’t get out here until after the next day. However, he called me the very next day and he said that if I had the results out, he would come and finish the floor.

We signed the contract for the quarter round and the installers were confused. We wanted the unfinished quarter round and they brought the wood quarter round and we said we didn’t want it. The next day, they brought the white and we told them we went with the unfinished. He said that they didn’t have it. Other than that, it was good. The installation team was here early in the morning and they were ready to go. They were patient we were told to move certain things and I could not do it all by myself. They helped me move it to another area and they moved to the side the stuff that was big. Then, they put it back with care after they did the floor.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I got cheap carpet from Empire Today for our rental house. It was cheap and it was a good deal. I trusted that because I knew the salesman, if there were any issues then I could always get him to help me. In fact, there was an issue but I didn't have to get him to help me. The company took care of it just fine. I received a call about five minutes before 8:00 AM, telling me that the installers would be at my house within the next two hours. But they didn't show up until after 4:30. That had everything to do with how I scheduled my workers at the house that day and it cost me money. I explained that to someone at Empire Today and he asked me what I thought it cost. I told him that it probably cost me $111 and he said, "Well, how about we take off $150." I told him that was fine and he did it so I'm completely satisfied.

I really want them to correct that scheduling problem though. I got the impression that this was just how they do things. But a company as good as Empire shouldn't be doing something like that. That was not respectful of me and my time. When they told me they were gonna be there by 10:00 o'clock but they didn't show up until 4:30, they ruined my day. They had taken a whole day instead of a couple of hours of my day. So many companies act like nobody else is working but everyone else is working.

But the mistake was made with whoever did the scheduling and sent out that automatic call. I wasn't gonna be upset with the workers because someone in the office made a mistake. I was just happy to see them when they finally got there. Plus they did a very good job and were very friendly. They worked with a good attitude and they seemed to enjoy what they were doing. They carpeted over my under-the-house access and I caught that. When I asked them to correct something, they did it with a smile. They didn't act at all like they were a little put out, and they did a nice job of correcting that. To this point, the carpet has been fine too. I expect to have to replace it but it seemed like it would be there for a few years. When it's done, I'll call Empire Today to put in new flooring. I've recommended the company to someone else too.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I’ve been doing business with Empire for a lot of years. They always give me what they say they’ll give me when they say they’ll do it. Plus, the people who do the work have always been excellent. They do a great job and clean up after. There was only one time when I had an issue with Empire. Many years ago, I had my family room, kitchen, and hallway done with tile. In the kitchen, around my cupboards, they put the molding down. A couple of years later, one piece of the molding swelled up really bad and had to be replaced. Since it’s a molding that only Empire Today carries, I contacted them about getting this piece of molding which was exactly two and a half feet long. I was told that they would have to send a repairman out with that and that it was gonna cost me some ungodly amount of money.

I told them that I could replace it as there were only two nails holding it. I asked if I could just purchase the piece of molding. They told me no. At that point, I told them to take me off their list and I would never do business with them again. The next day, they called back and said they were gonna send a service person out to replace my piece of molding and that there was no charge. The next day a young gentleman came out and he had the molding. He replaced it at no charge to me. He also had a couple of extra pieces that he left with me in case it ever happened again.

I do all my business with Empire. I’m in a two-story colonial and the record would show everything on my floor in my home has always been Empire and even my window treatments at one time. To charge me that kind of money for this little piece of molding was absurd, but, they made it right. I was happy, which was why I called them back to do the carpet and hard flooring. The hard flooring was for our living room and the carpet was for the stairs and hallway going upstairs. I recommended Empire Today for my son’s home a few years back too and I would recommend them to anybody that asks me.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I had carpeting installed by Empire Today in my family room and two bedrooms. The carpet has been here for eight years and I liked that they were multicolored and it blended in so I didn’t have to paint. The salesgirl did an excellent job and I was impressed with her. She was patient and called me on the phone. I felt comfortable and I called her back. She came back out again, brought me the sample again, and told me to hold on to it, put it down on the floor and see how I liked it. Then she offered me a little discount. She told me I could call the company and see if they would bargain with me and if they had any other specials. A week or two later, I called and asked if they could lower it another $100 and they said yes.

I was kind of surprised with the ones that came out to put it because they were two guys. One was an older gentleman and they were kinda petite. They were not big strong guys and I was fearful of them hurting themselves. But they did a good job. But I had some stripping put down on the old ones and they took those up and they put it down but they missed a couple of the tacks. I didn’t know because it blends in with the carpet where it was laying. I head on the house without slippers and I felt something on my foot and it was one of the little tacks that nail down the stripping. Then I went along the hallway and I felt a couple more. I told Empire that the stripping wasn’t put down solid and I’ve been finding some tacks.

I got the vacuum and cleaned out. But they said they’ll come out and have the guy tack it back down. I thought it was gonna be the same guy but it was someone different but he was nice. He came on the house and went through all over where the stripping was. And he felt it and made sure. I have picked up about four of them and he put them back. Also, I bought an electrical recliner and it had a shortage in it. It burnt my carpet and Empire is taking care of that. There was a little round spot about the size of a 50 cent. It didn’t do any damage but right there where the wire was touching. Other than that, I’ve recommended Empire. My neighbors asked and they know. They saw the truck and I told them I was really pleased. One of them was thinking about moving and they’re gonna try to fix the house up, put carpet, and try to sell it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Empire Today?

Original review: May 22, 2019

I looked into Yellow Pages for carpet installers and I was getting some price checks. I happened upon Empire Today's phone number and called them. The samples that the guy brought in were right to my liking. The carpeting I picked matched the paint scheme that I had in the room real well. He also left me an extra piece of carpet that I could use as a placemat for a walkway. The installers were professional. They came in and knocked it out. It took about 20 minutes to do one room. It was done quickly, and I'm totally satisfied. It was a pleasant experience. The carpeting is nice and it definitely met my expectations. I like the foam padding. It's real cushiony to walk on, that’s why I chose carpeting over hardwood floor. Empire Today did right by me. I didn’t have any arguments about their work or the quality of the carpeting. If that’s who someone chooses, I would definitely recommend them.

Original review: May 19, 2019

Empire Today installed carpeting in my bedroom. I like the cost and that they move the furniture. I don’t have to hire somebody. The quality of some brands were a little different, but I ended up liking Empire's. I like the thickness and the feel of the carpeting. My new flooring is great. It’s what I wanted. It's soft and it matches and it looks very nice. The installation was also great. They were very nice and they cleaned up. And they put back my items into place, which was great. Empire Today was very good. They did what they said they were gonna do, and they came later than they said. But they came the day they were supposed to come.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I had several friends who bought carpets from Empire, and that made me decide to go with them. I really liked their salesperson, too. I had them do the carpeting in two bedrooms and a hallway upstairs, and I liked it. I got everything I wanted. I like the color of the carpet. It was a speckled carpet with a very light background. I like it a lot with my furniture. The installers did an excellent job putting it in. They never missed a mark. They never stopped working while they were here, and then they cleaned up everything. I'm very happy with the whole thing. I'm very satisfied.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I contacted Empire because of recommendations from a family member who had carpeting installed. I recently moved into a large manufactured home and wanted to have waterproof vinyl planking installed since I have cats. The sales rep was great and very responsive to my needs so I agreed to have Empire install vinyl planking in multiple rooms. I paid close to $6000 and was very happy with the installation. They were prompt, did a wonderful job and the sales rep even left me his local number if I needed anything.

Several weeks later however, while having a disability accessible shower installed, the contractor discovered the new shower pan was a few inches narrower than the original tub and he needed a few vinyl planks to fill in the small gap. I called the sales rep who left me his phone number and left a message, but never heard back. I then called Empire directly and it took two days before I got a response. In the meantime I desperately searched other companies to locate matching planks for the contractor to install while he was still here. I was unsuccessful and the contractor had to leave without being able to fill the gap in the bathroom floor.

When I finally did speak to customer service at Empire I explained the situation fully expecting them to help me out since it was a very small request and my floor installation had been done so recently. I was shocked when I was told Empire does not provide or sell additional planking after completing their jobs. I asked why they didn't leave a few extra planks from the same lot as is standard in the flooring industry and was told I purchased only what was installed and no more and they take the rest.

I then asked what my options were because I couldn't find any place that has planks to match the ones Empire installed. They said they didn't know and then advised me to not void the warranty by leaving the area open. So I was stuck!!! How in the world could this small gap be closed without the same planking??? This effectively has left me with no options. I could have tile installed, but it would ruin the continuity of the floor and I certainly can't afford to totally redo the bathroom because of such a small gap.

I am a senior on a limited income and since Empire installed my floor so recently, I feel my request is entirely reasonable especially since there is no way to obtain the same planking anywhere else. Empire was more than happy to take my money to install the floor but as I'm sadly learning, they certainly don't seem to care much about customer satisfaction once the work is done. The disability shower situation was a legitimate and unforeseen need and I am extremely disappointed with Empire's customer service. I even said I was willing to pay for the planks but was told they do not sell to the public.

Needless to say, in light of this experience I will never use Empire for any flooring needs in the future and certainly will not recommend them to others. It's truly sad when a company gets so large customer service goes into the toilet. Even if I have to pay more I think I would much prefer to use to a smaller local company that is responsive and genuinely cares about its customers.

Empire Today response

Patricia, We want every customer to be satisfied, and we're not happy that you've had a bad experience. We've located your account information, and we'll be contacting you shortly to discuss your concerns.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Do not leave a deposit and shop elsewhere. Nightmarish customer service, a truly horrible experience. They will not refund deposit after conflicting sales rep advice vs their rip off policy of trying to lock you in. Rep told me deposit was refundable as long as the work hasn't been done yet and there were no special order carpets on the order (which there weren't). I called to cancel a week later after finding better carpet at a better price and Empire will not refund my deposit. No work had been done, no installation date had been set and all they wanna do is fight with me and incessantly just keep trying to sell me more stuff.

Empire Today response

Marc, thanks for bringing this to our attention. We’ve located your account information and will contact you so we can speak with you further about your concerns

Original review: May 16, 2019

I have nothing but great things to say about Empire Today! My salesperson David ** was an absolute wealth of knowledge, even when the subfloor was discovered to be faulty, he had the fix! David also knew what would look good in my house, and it really does!!! Valentin and his crew absolutely worked miracles on my LVP! As stated above, the subfloor was a total joke, from the original builders, but Valentin made it BEAUTIFUL!!! The 3 guys worked 'til 8pm the first day, just so my son and I could use our beds! The carpet on the stairs was just installed an hour ago - BEAUTIFUL!!! I will recommend Empire Today to everyone!!! Fantastic!!!

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: May 16, 2019

We got carpet, laminate, and tile from Empire Today and it was a pretty good buy. I was happy with it. I like the laminate in the kitchen, and the carpet is really soft. However, it shows all kinds of footprints wherever you walk. It is so plush that it shows footprints, but that's all right. I like the floors, but I just don't like the way other things were left.

They moved a cabinet that was right beside our refrigerator, and some of the trim separated from the actual cabinet. So that was kind of frustrating. The guy said he would fix it, but then he never did. The other thing was when they were pulling the carpet up in the kitchen and also in the bathroom. When they pulled the carpet up in the kitchen, they also pulled carpeting off the baseboards and they pulled some trim off of one of my cabinets under the oven. They also did this in the bathrooms, and they just left without finishing that up. It looks real tacky. Now, it's just there and there are carpeting stuff on it. It takes away from the beautiful look of it.

Empire Today response

Laura, We’re sorry to hear about the problems you've had with your installation. That's not how we want our installations to go. We want to learn more about what happened and work with you to make things right. We’ll be contacting you directly to help.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 15, 2019

Had an entire house install. Had three men from Equador showed up late to do the job. Upon questioning them why they would run a seam right down the middle of my large living room, The only one that spoke English assured that it would be invisible. Well, it’s not. They spilled glue and just left a giant spot in my bedroom, which is hard to walk on and a complete eyesore. My spiral staircase seemed to stump them. It took three men hours to do 10 steps. They were unprofessionally wrapped and all the corners are fraying. The most egregious complaint, Is the salesman assured me that they would be installing the most Premium padding they offer. Come to find out, they installed the Thinnest padding they offer.

We lived all winter with cold floors, Our upstairs floors creak so bad, like you’re walking on bare plywood and our dogs nails go right through to the subfloor. Have sent them over 100 emails, and have left over 50 voice messages. THEY WILL IGNORE YOU! They have now made three appointments, and just don’t show up. No call, NOTHING. You get what you pay for. They have Thousands of the same complaints as mine. THEY DO NOT CARE. Will be filing complaints against them with every agency that matters. Spend a couple extra bucks and hire a Reputable Company that will back their work.

Empire Today response

Denise, we never want our customers to feel this way, and we sincerely apologize for your experience. We'll be further reviewing your concerns, thank you.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I originally called to have the ceramic tile in my bathroom replaced. I made an appointment and the salesman came out. At that point he informed me they do not install ceramic tile, but why not tell me that when booking appointment. To make a long story short the salesman advised me they could install vinyl tile directly over my ceramic tile, no tear out, no mess. Sounded good to me so I selected a product and scheduled an installation date. They called the morning of installation and said the installers would be there between 10 and noon. The installers arrived at 2:00 and when I showed them the bathroom they looked puzzled and said they could not install over ceramic tile.

I was not a happy camper after taking a day off from work and traveling 1:45 in each direction (my daughter lives there and was out of the country). I called the office and after much discussion they promised to come the following week to do a tear out and new sub floors prior to the vinyl installation. The following week I again traveled 1:45 in each direction to be there for what I anticipated would be an early morning appointment. The installer called and said he was on his way at 10:00 am, they arrived at 2:30 pm. Upon showing them the bathroom they stated they could not install the tile over the ceramic floors, I stated, "I found that out last week, that's why you are doing a tear out and new sub floors." They stated they knew nothing about that, that they had no laun on the truck and were not prepared. They were just going to leave and I advised them that they had better get their manager on the phone before doing so.

They called their manager and explained the situation and I could hear their manager through the phone telling them to just leave! Thanks to the installers they did not listen to him and decided to stay and do the job and even went and bought the laun out of their own pockets, I'm sure later to be reimbursed. Because of the late start the installers left my home at 1:45 AM! I cleaned up and drove home 1:45 to arrive about 4:00 for 2 hours sleep before work. To sum this up it was a CLUSTER! I have called weekly asking to have a manager call me about my experience. The install was on April 8th. Every time I call I am promised a manager will get back to me by the following Monday, obviously not the case. Last week I asked for corporate office contact info and they said they are not provided with that information. Do yourself a favor, hire anybody except Empire!!!

Empire Today response

Joe, we apologize for the miscommunication that you've received. We've located your order, and will be in touch with you soon.

Original review: May 14, 2019

First off, I want to start by saying we had a very good sales person come to our house and work with us on different options for our flooring needs. We chose to lay down new tile in the kitchen and bathrooms, as well as new ("durable" as he stated) carpet in our half basement. Installation went pretty well, even though they took longer than anticipated (they forgot some material and had to come back the next day to finish). So about a week after having everything finished, I was in the basement vacuuming the carpet when part of the carpet starting coming up.

Obviously something was wrong with this new "durable" carpet that I had been sold. So I call into Empire and tell them what happened. They have me send them a picture of the damaged area. A couple of days go by and finally get a callback from them saying it is not covered under warranty and they want to charge me $1,700 to replace it. They state that it is not covered under warranty because something caused it pull up and that not all carpets can be vacuumed with a standard vacuum. So to sum it all up, I have two week old carpet that is partially defective and am stuck with it. Sad thing is that I was going to have my upstairs carpet replaced in a few months and now I WILL NOT EVER use Empire again. Such a joke of a company.

Empire Today response

Joe, thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We'll be in touch with you shortly to discuss your concern. Thank you for your patience.

Original review: May 14, 2019

On or around January 9, 2017, Empire Today installed flooring throughout my entire home. The laminate flooring installed on the stairs closest to the main level had massive gaps between the edge of the laminate plank and the stair nose molding within the first few weeks of the initial installation. Upon discovery, I immediately contacted Empire, they never returned my calls. They acknowledge receipt of my call regarding the flooring issue by sending me a letter dated February 27, 2017 to confirm receipt of my concern related to my order. The letter requested for me to contact them at 847-583-2290 ext. 2, which I did immediately upon receipt of the letter. Once again, I left several messages and nobody ever returned my calls. Needless to say, out of frustration I stopped contacting Empire and the issue was never resolved.

It's now 2 years later, the same stair nose moldings that had a gap between it and the laminate flooring on my stairs is now detaching from the stairs that were built out as well as several other stairs have gaps and the trim between the family room and kitchen has a gap between the laminate flooring and the trim as well. Some of these issues existed immediately after installation, so the care of the flooring had absolutely nothing to do with the poor work quality. For the record, I do not have any pets, small children, no excessive water, nor do we have high traffic in our home so there is no reason for these issues. I have followed their care instructions meticulously.

I called Empire Today mid-February requesting to speak with someone regarding this matter. Holly at Empire gave me a service request number, stating a supervisor would call me back within 48 hours. Needless to say, no one called me back yet again. So, I called again on March 1, 2019, spoke with Anissa who gave me another service request number. She stated a supervisor would call me back within 48 hours. She claimed the information wasn't entered correctly when I called in a few weeks prior which was the reason I never received a call back.

As of March 14, 2019, I still hadn’t received a call back so I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau of Chicago. By the next day, March 15, 2019 SURPRISE!!! I received a call from Kathy at Empire TODAY corporate office at 12:15pm on Friday, March 15, 2019 regarding the complaint I had filed with the Better Business Bureau of Chicago, she left a message in my voicemail. I returned her call within an hour of her leaving me a message, she NEVER returned my call. By Tuesday, March 19, 2019 since I still hadn’t received a call back, I called Kathy again at 10:51am and left another message for her to call me back. She returned my call the same day at 11:04am; she wanted to schedule an appointment for someone to come out to my home to inspect the issues I had mentioned in my complaint. We scheduled the inspection for Saturday, March 23, 2019.

Saturday, March 23, 2019, the representative from Empire TODAY came out at approximately 8am to inspect my floors and take pictures. Tuesday, March 26, 2019 at 9:05am, Mandy from Empire TODAY called to let me know that she received the inspection results and pictures. She wanted to move forward with scheduling an appointment to repair the flooring. Since I was going to be out of town the two weekends to follow our conversation, we scheduled the repair appointment for April 13 between 8:00am and 6:00pm. She stated someone would call me the day before the appointment to narrow down the appointment window they would be out to make the repairs.

Friday, April 12, 2019, the day before the appointment came and of course no one called me to narrow down the appointment window, so I called them on Friday, April 12, 2019 at 2:35pm. I was told that they don’t narrow down the appointment window; someone would be out on Saturday, April 13 between 8:00am and 6:00pm.

Saturday, April 13, 2019, I called Empire TODAY at 12:15pm to get an update on the time someone would be out to repair my floors, they were not able to give me a specific time. At 4:43pm, the same day I called them back again as I had been waiting since 8:00am Saturday morning, I had not received a call nor had anyone shown up and it was close to 6:00pm. I was very upset because they gave no explanation as to why they hadn’t come out, but it was safe to say they wasn’t coming since it was nearly 5:00pm when we were having the conversation. They told me someone would call me on Monday to reschedule.

Monday, April 15, 2019 at 3:41pm, Kathy from Empire TODAY called to reschedule. She had no explanation as to why they failed to show for the appointment on April 13. I explain the Kathy that we could reschedule for the upcoming Saturday, April 20 but I needed a shorter appointment window because it wasn’t fair to me that they tied up my entire day and didn’t show nor call to let me know they were not coming. She stated she could call scheduling to set up the appointment and she would call me back.

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at 9:59 Kathy called me to confirm the NEW appointment was scheduled for Saturday, April 20. So I asked again, what time will they be out to my home because I was not going to be able to wait there all day like I did the weekend before. She said she needed to call scheduling to reconfirm the appointment window.

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at 10:24am, Kathy called and left me a voicemail message stating the NEW appointment was scheduled to be a first call for April 20, 2019 from 8:00am to 11:00am. They would call when they were on their way. Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 7:44am, I received a call from Empire TODAY’s automated system stating someone would be out to my home in 1-2 hours from receipt of the message.

Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 10:09am, 10:10am, and 10:11am I called Kathy at Empire corporate office and left her a message to let her know that it was NOW more than 2 hours after receiving the automated message and still no one from Empire had shown up. I continued to wait since it was more than 2 hours after the call; it still wasn’t 11:00am (the end of the appointment window).

Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 12:00pm and 12:02pm I called Empire TODAY again because I’m furious now that Empire has wasted my time yet again. No call or no show once again. The person I spoke with had no explanation as to why I received a first call message and nobody showed up. I requested a call back from upper management because this was unacceptable. First Empire poor work quality when the flooring was initially installed, now the company lacks competence and common courtesy when scheduling appointments and mostly valuing customers and their time.

Monday, April 22, 2019 at 3:17 I received a voicemail message and email from Julio **, Customer Service Supervisor stating, “I am reaching out concerning the missed repairs of your floor. I do apologize for the inconveniences that have occurred, please allow me to reschedule the repairs for day you are available.” I called Julio back at 3:22pm and left him a voicemail message as well as replied to his email as follows:

Monday, April 22, 2019 at 3:35pm my reply, “I just returned your call. I’m not interested in rescheduling, as your company has wasted my time 2 consecutive Saturdays. It’s very clear to me that it’s not of priority to your company. I’m not going to keep rescheduling every week until your new customer business slows down and someone finally shows up. Clearly you don’t value my time. I want my money back so I can get my floors done correctly with a company that has time to honor their product warranties. I wish your company had displayed this lack of customer value before I had any work done with your company.” Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 12:12pm Julio ** replies, “I am unable to refund the amount of your floor, I can forward your information to my manager so he can reach out to discuss your refund request.”

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 1:16pm my reply, “I will await a call from your manager.” Friday, April 26, 2019 at 7:16am I received a voicemail message from Rob, Customer Service Manager. He was calling to see if I wanted to reschedule the appointment for the repairs. He also offered a “discount” for the inconvenience. I advised him that his “discount” was not sufficient for my inconvenience and he still couldn’t assure me that someone would show up if we rescheduled the appointment for a third time.

After all of this, still no explanation as to how two appointments were scheduled and missed by Empire TODAY. Then, they call to reschedule as if everything is ok and they didn’t just miss two appointments nor did they bother to call either. This is totally unacceptable; we spent more than $15,000 for Empire to do all of the floors in our home. I want the flooring throughout my home that is the same as the flooring that needs to be repaired to be removed and installed by another company that valued their customers, provides quality work and honors their product warranty. I initially wanted Empire to repair my floors but after all of this I want a full refund since Empire TODAY is not capable or competent enough to repair their work. It amazes me how Empire is quick to notify the Better Business Bureau each time the appointment was rescheduled as an indication that the issue had been resolved, when in fact it still hasn’t.

I’m very disappointed; Empire has been around since before I was born. I had never heard any negative issues regarding the company so I would’ve never thought to check for other customer reviews or the company’s rating on the Better Business Bureau. I’m still trying to understand how Empire TODAY has an A+ rating on the Better Business Bureau website when numerous customers have had similar issues with the company. Disappointed Customer.

Empire Today response

Karen, we regret to hear that your concerns have not been addressed. We assure you that we take matters such as these very seriously, and we sincerely apologize for your experience. We'll be in touch with you shortly to discuss your experience.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Hello, they did a great job, but when they left did not leave extra padding we paid for. Customer service was called numerous times with no reply to my issue... Installation team gets {A}... customer service gets {F}. Thank you. Joe

Empire Today response

Joe, thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We'll be reviewing this matter further and will be in touch with you soon.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I would like people to think twice before calling Empire Today. I am sorry that initially I had cancelled the order and should have stuck to that. The sales person called me back and offered me a good price and I said ok. That was a big mistake. I gave two sets of date April 23rd, 24th, 25th and May 8th, 9th and 10th. The work started on April 23rd and in between twice they ran out of product and finished their job on May 10th. The installers and contractors are ok but management need to do oversight and be more professional. Today I was looking for the product warranties, my google search came up with no such page found. Good grief.

Empire Today response

Badrul, we’re not happy to hear this, and we'll be calling you soon to make things better for you.

Original review: May 13, 2019

We had a laminate Flooring install 8 years ago at the cost of 7500.00. Recently I have been going back and forth with Empire because in several areas of the floor we have buckling and warping. In the contract the floor is warranted for 30 years. Empire is telling us that they do not stock the floor anymore? So we are out of luck. I have filed a complaint with BBB, and we have been going back and forth over this issue. When the floor was installed they left a box of flooring that was extra. I requested that an installer come and put down the flooring that was left in the areas that were bad.

When this installer came he claim that the pieces we had were no good and that Empire will offer us a deal on new floor, well what about the warranty. I received a call from Empire from a lady who said she was from Corporate and someone will contact me, that was a month ago, this issue to this day is still unresolved. When Empire contacted me that wanted to charge me $125 to have an inspector come out to inspect the floor. I refused because if he works for Empire why would I pay him to come out. I sent Mandy ** photos of the floor and she decided that my damage was caused by moisture. She stated it "looks like" moisture, what home doesn't have moisture.

Another EXCUSE to not honor their warranty. Finally last week we agreed to have the installer come and put the remaining floor down that we were in possession of. Last week two guys came out and I could tell that one of the gentlemen was the inspector because of the questions he was asking. This person asked me about the cleaner I was using because the floor had a shine to it, I showed him that and he took a photo. This person told me that we did not have enough of spare flooring to cover the area that needed to be done, he left and he stated that Empire will call me. Today I received that call from Mandy ** and she stated that my damage was caused by the cleaner I have been using and it would not be covered by the warranty. Another excuse to not honor their warranty!! Shame on you Empire!!! I will be seeking legal restitution, we will let a judge decide this case.

Empire Today response

Gregory, this is not the experience that we wish for our customers and we sincerely apologize for your experience. We'll be in touch with you shortly to further discuss your concerns.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I’ve had Empire for at least a half dozen times in two or three different houses. I recently got them to do carpeting for the master bedroom. The sales rep was very helpful in selecting a carpet for me, the color and the quality that I needed. She was very professional and very knowledgeable. She was the most helpful out of any of the consultants that has come. The installation was well done. The installers were very careful with my place, and that everything was very clean and done just perfectly. Empire Today met all of my expectations. I have recommended them to a lot of people.

Original review: May 12, 2019

It’s the first time I used Empire Today and I was impressed. We were getting the house ready to sell, and they were quick and easy. It was the convenience that made us select to go with them. The sales rep was great. He knew his stuff. The installation went fine too. The guy came in, moved my furniture, put the carpet down, and put the furniture back. He installed carpet in two bedrooms and we like the color. It was very easy to find the particular color that met our need. I already recommended Empire Today to my brother-in-law.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Empire Today installed a carpet in our sunroom and it has very well met my expectations. I like that it's stain resistant. Empire had a little problem getting the right carpet because it was backlogged, but once they got it and got it in, it came out well. The installers were very polite. They were very efficient and did a good job.

Original review: May 10, 2019

We called and a representative came out. We thought everything was going okay. We wanted to have our whole upstairs done in hardwood flooring. The representative took a picture of our subfloor and sent this to the company. The rep said that we had a certain type of subfloor that was acceptable for hardwoods after speaking with someone at the company. The job was supposed to be done in 1 day. HAHA.

The installers showed up and took a look at our subfloor and found that we could not have the hardwood we had picked out because of the subfloor. They simply prepped the rooms and left with no flooring done because now they had to order a floating floor for us which was okay and meant a difference in the price. They were supposed to come back the next day and did but with only one installer instead of three as was indicated to us. The installer also was supposed to do our staircase but could not because the appropriate material was not ordered for that as well.

We called him after a day of no one showing up and he said the company was supposed to call us to explain why the material was not available. They did not call us. It has now been a week and we still do not have the total flooring done on our floors and no staircase done at all. We have e-mailed the company with complaints only to get an e-mail back saying someone will be in touch.

Since I work at home and one of the rooms being floored is my office this has been a major inconvenience to say the least. We feel that the representative made too many mistakes to count and lied to us. Our house is all upside down because everything from our upstairs is now downstairs to accommodate the install. I also cannot work due to the office not being used from the flooring not being done.

We are truly sorry we called Empire to do this job and will tell everyone we know not to use them. They couldn't pay us to use them again and we had planned to do our downstairs after the upstairs was done. Actually we feel they should compensate us in some way due to the crap we have had to put up with. The only positive thing I can say about this company is that the installation team are extremely nice. DO NOT USE EMPIRE!!!!

Empire Today response

Esthe, we regret to hear about your experience and understand your frustration. We'll be in touch with you shortly to discuss your concerns, thank you.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I paid in full to have a couple staircases carpeted and vinyl installation for small bathroom and landing. They brought the wrong materials twice and I had to argue with the representative about what I chose. I took pictures at the time I placed the order, I know what I ordered. It has been two months now and the job is still not done. The last time they brought the wrong material there was supposed to be a rescheduling. No one ever reached out and I have called several times only to be told "they will call you back" but they don't. I asked for a refund but they said they would not give a full refund. 10/10 would rather learn to install flooring myself than ever go through this company again.

Empire Today response

Natasha, we apologize for the inconvenience. We'll be in touch with you shortly to discuss your concerns.

Resolution response: May 10, 2019

A gentleman from the company called, and rescheduled my installation for next week and offered $ off the total price. As long as installation goes smoothly, I am satisfied.

Original review: May 10, 2019

OK, so I seen a deal on carpet installation and called a rep to come out and give me a price. We selected the "Pastry" colored carpet, for 2 living rooms, hallway, stairs and a bedroom. All the same color. Signed the contract and scheduled for install on May 5th. Well middle of April my rep calls and asks if we can do install end of April instead, they would knock some off the price. I agreed, Scheduled other appointment's on the 6th. A few days beforehand the rep calls me back, they have no installers available on the 30th of April and have to move back to the 6th. So I agree, reschedule appointments remake all arrangements I already had etc.

Well the 6th comes and I do not receive a call telling me when they will be there, so I call, get a estimated time, to which they were 30 minutes later than that which is no big deal. At this time, I have my house torn apart ready for install. The installer gives me a swatch for the carpet. I immediately notice that this is much lighter than the color I picked out. I show the installer the color I chose and they compare it to what I have and agree that it is indeed much lighter. I call my rep. He tells me to go with the next shade darker than what I wanted because the swatches sometimes look darker than they do when they arrive. ALSO they did not have enough carpet to do the job. They were short the required amount! So I agree with the darker color because nothing could be done on the 6th anyway cause they don't have enough carpet. They tell me someone will call to reschedule the next day.

Next day comes, finally at 5pm I call them to ask what is going on. I am told that they now have me scheduled on the 20th, but NO ONE ever contacted me to ask if this date was ok or not. I tell them, "No, it needs to be done sooner." So we schedule for the 9th. The 9th comes, no call on when they will show (I did receive the confirmation email stating that I was scheduled for the 9th). So finally at 2pm I call, the rep tells me that they were AGAIN short the amount of carpet and would have to reschedule. AGAIN NO ONE CALLED ME!!!!

I had purchased to furniture so it could be delivered after the carpet was installed, so that messed up all those plans. SO now, I have paid to put my daughter with a babysitter 2x at $50 a pop, plus taken 2 days off work for install without vacation time so taking a hit in pay, overall their missed appointments have cost me between $600-$700. Again I am told someone will call to reschedule, and that a "discount request" has been submitted. I should hear from someone within 24 WORKING hours. So waiting to see if I hear from them. If they think a $50 credit is going to make me happy, they have another thing coming. Sad part is, I planned on having 2 kitchens, 2 dinning rooms, and 4 more bedrooms done in the near future.

Empire Today response

Desirae, this is not the experience that we wish for our customers and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. We'll be following up with you shortly to further discuss your concerns.

Original review: May 10, 2019

An Empire salesman came to my house and showed me samples. I didn't have to go to the store. He told me that they could do the job in one day. I had laminate flooring installed in one bedroom and carpet in another. The work took two or three days. Although I didn't really expect that they would be doing and finishing the work in one day, I felt like the salesman kinda misled me a little bit. Other than that, I'm satisfied with the service especially the installation part. The guys were very good about moving the furniture around and they did a lot of special things for me.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Please do yourself a favor and don't shop with Empire, no matter what the salesperson tells you or how nice/knowledgeable they are. I ordered the same color (grey) carpet for 4 bedrooms and stairs. Arranged delivery/took day off work and made day care arrangements for my dog. Installers show up with a roll of grey and a roll of beige. They blame dye-lot variation. Paperwork on their end shows the warehouse and the installer both signed for the incorrect carpet. I took a swatch of both rolls of carpet to compare to my initial order. Only the grey one was correct. Spent next 2.5 hours on phone with customer "service" and ultimately the installer manager, Rafel, who assured me they would cut all 1100 sq ft from the same roll so there would be no doubt about color mismatch or mislabeling.

Took another day off work and make day care arrangements for my dog. A new group of installers shows up with THE SAME EXACT 2 incorrect color/not what I ordered rolls from 3 days prior. I know this because the carpet swatches I took from the installers' van on day of first scheduled install MATCH EXACTLY LIKE PUZZLE PIECES. Contacted my "nice" salesperson, who said to cancel order and I should get refund. A few hours of phone calls later, Empire states NO REFUND since beyond the 3 day refund policy of signing the contract. I have no words to you other than RUN VERY FAR AWAY FROM EMPIRE and save yourself all kinds of grief.

Empire Today response

Julie, thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We sincerely apologize for your experience, and assure you that we take matters such as these very seriously. We'll be in touch with you shortly to further discuss your concerns.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I had Empire install new carpet in my townhouse in 2017. Unfortunately I didn't purchase a warranty but had I known that my toddler would have been injured a couple of months ago I would have. My experience with the technician was fine when the carpet was first installed until the edges of my carpet started lifting so Empire had to send out a subcontractor to fix what the technician did incorrectly. Now we are in 2019 and my son was walking on the edge of the carpet right by an end table and the tip of a nail went through his foot. So I contacted Empire's corporate office and they basically told me since I didn't have a warranty they would have to charge me 100 dollars to come out to take a look at it but can't promise that it could be fixed and they said that they don't even make my carpet any longer.

I'm furious because I don't feel as if this is just a normal wear and tear issue. I feel this is a hazard from unprofessional workmanship and should be repaired at no cost to me. Period. I spent over 600 dollars on a very small area and they can't even fix this for free as a courtesy. I'm not asking for new carpet. I'm asking for them to fix their mistake but unfortunately they don't seem to agree. So now I will have to try and figure out a way to fix it myself. I'm a single mom and can't just keep installing new carpet which they asked if I wanted to do that instead. I will never deal with Empire again. I will use any of their other competitors if I ever decide or can afford to install new carpet again. If you use Empire make sure you get the warranty because they will be of no help otherwise and the lady Angie I spoke to was very rude and not helpful at all nor was the corporate headquarters. If I could give zero stars I would.

Empire Today response

Misty, we regret to hear that your carpet is not meeting your expectations. We'll be in touch with you shortly to further discuss your concerns.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Empire Today installed flooring and did a good job, however, I was Double Billed 2,865.00 and was treated Horribly. Their customer service and accounts department have been Negligent in resolving and refunding my money! I will Never do business with this company again! Please be careful and Beware of this Non-Ethical establishment! They Acknowledged the mistake, but aren't doing anything to resolve it promptly!

Empire Today response

Crystal, thank you for making us aware of this matter. We apologize for your experience, and will be further looking into your concerns.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: May 8, 2019

Ordered carpet on 4-29. On day on installation received a call midday that they had to cancel my scheduled appointment BECAUSE ONE INSTALLER CALLED OUT AND THEY DIDN'T HAVE ANYONE ELSE TO REPLACE HIM. A large company like Empire because one installer called out means can't fulfill a commitment, hard to believe. Mine was one small room to be carpeted. Had to reschedule for the next day, when I had furniture coming out, I asked for a early appt was told would put that request down - obviously, that doesn't count came out mid day. Installers very nice did a good job. Would I recommend Empire - NO.

Empire Today response

Eleanora, we apologize for your initial missed appointment. We'll be further reviewing your concerns, thank you.

Empire Today expert review by Joseph Truini

The year 1959 saw the founding of Empire Today in Chicago. Since then, the business has grown into a true empire with locations in the majority of U.S. states.

• Products: Empire Today offers carpet, hardwood, laminate, resilient vinyl, tile, even window blinds and shades. Free-in-home estimates are available.

• Financing: Empire Today and Wells Fargo Bank offer financing, including an interest-free option, that charges no interest for 12 months. Another option gives you a 48-month payoff time frame at 9.99 percent interest rate.

• Warranties: Empire Today warranties run a lifetime in some cases, with a still-respectable 30 years in several other cases.

• Outdoor carpeting: Empire sells carpeting for porches, patios and decks. Their short pile height helps keep crushes and dents from forming.

• Installation: Installations are performed by independent contractors who work with Empire Today. Options include next-day installation and half-price deals.

• Best for: Luxury shoppers, budget seekers and people with pets and kids stand to find what they need from Empire Today.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Empire Today Company Information