4.2/5 (521 ratings)

About Empire Today

Empire Today has provided carpet, hardwood, laminate, vinyl tile flooring, and window treatments to more than 2 million customers since 1959. The company brings hundreds of samples to your doorstep, and a sales representative helps you choose a floor, takes room measurements, and provides an all-inclusive price estimate. Professional installers can install in-stock styles as soon as the next day. The company offers competitive prices and comprehensive warranties.

Pros

• Professional measurements
  • 1-year limited installation warranty
  • Brings product samples to your home

Cons

• Limited financing options
  • Consultation required for estimate

Bottom Line

Empire Today brings the shopping experience to you with its in-home consultations and professional flooring specialists. Price quotes are only available after an appointment, but there is no obligation to buy.

Top Empire Today Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We had hardwood installed in my living room and hallway. The sales rep from Empire was pretty good. The installation took two days and it went very well. We had a lot going on tha...

Verified

… The installers did a good job. They came in and out, spent a lot of time, and took care of everything, moving my furniture easily. They took precautions not to break or damage a...

What is Empire Today?

Empire Today offers floor and window renovations for residential and commercial customers. To get started with Empire Today, visit its website to schedule a personalized shopping experience. All of Empire Today’s consultations take place in your home, which lets you find the samples that best match the decor in your home under your own lighting.

During the initial consultation, Empire’s independent contractor measures the room and provides a price estimate. Because measurements are taken before you purchase the materials, Empire Today can ensure that customers get the right amount of flooring needed for the job. All of the company’s installation services include a one-year limited warranty.

Empire Today also offers online tools to make interior decorating easier. The “See a Floor in Your Room” function on its website lets you upload a picture of your room and try different flooring options before scheduling a consultation. In addition, customers can see photos to use as inspiration for different rooms.

Empire flooring prices

While an in-home consultation is required to get an estimate of Empire Today’s products and services, the company does offer regular discounts, coupons and promotions on its website. New customers can get up to $250 off by signing up for Empire Today’s email service.

Financing options are also available. Empire Today’s credit card offers monthly payment options over 12 or 48 months with a 9.99% APR through Wells Fargo Bank.

Empire Today FAQ

Does Empire Today have showrooms or retail stores?

No. According to Empire Today, the company “brings the showrooms and retail stores to you.” Empire Today opts for a shop-at-home model instead of operating stores.

How do I shop with Empire?

To shop with Empire, book an appointment on its website or call the company to have a flooring specialist visit your home or business.

Is there any charge or obligation for an estimate?

No. In-home consultations through Empire Today are free, and there’s no charge or obligation to buy to receive an estimate.

Do the products have any warranty?

Yes, Empire Today’s products come with a manufacturer’s warranty and a limited installation warranty. It’s best to check with the company for specifics on the manufacturer’s warranty.

What type of financing options does Empire have?

Empire Today offers a credit card in partnership with Wells Fargo Bank. Currently, customers can choose from 12-month or 48-month payment plans.

Does Empire Today move furniture?

Yes, you can request furniture moving services through Empire Today. You’re responsible for moving small or breakable items.

How long does Empire take to install?

As long as products are in stock, Empire Today can install as quickly as the next day. The company works around your schedule.

Is Empire flooring a good deal?

We recommend Empire Today for homeowners and businesses who prefer to save on shopping time and see what flooring looks like in their space before purchasing. Customers praise Empire Today’s knowledgeable staff and the company’s quick service. Individuals with strangely shaped rooms or corners appreciate Empire Today’s in-home measurements, which make it easier to purchase the right type and amount of supplies before installation begins.

Empire Today Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Empire Today?

Original review: July 28, 2022

We had some kitchen flooring put in but the guy left some little strips. Then, there was tile that was all messed up and the grout was coming out. When I asked him about it, he told me that that he left them there until the carpet got installed. They knew, at the time, that we were discussing to put new carpet in each bedroom too. A month and a half later, we had the carpet man come out here. He telling my husband that he couldn't fix that as he didn't have materials. The guy showed me that all they were here to do was do the carpet and that no one told them that they were going to have to fix what the other guy left. So, I had to call Empire and I had to send some pictures of what I was talking about because they didn't really know what they had left. Then, Empire sent someone out here to fix it like we wanted it.

After that, the next day, I noticed when I was sitting in my bathroom that one of the little planks was sticking up way high that went into one of my bedrooms. So, I had to call back and get them to fix that. And they came back out this past Saturday and fixed that. As far as the products and everything that they did, things looked good. Looking at the carpet and the floor, we love them. And every time I called and had anything that needed to be done, they were right there. So overall, we were pleased with our experience.

The girl that came out here also said something about making it good as far as compensating us on all the time we had left work. There was one time when they were supposed to come out here and put our carpet in that we took off four days of work and they cancelled because the contractor we had was sick. We did three bedrooms at the time and we had to get my son to come out here to help us move our stuff. But no one has done any kind of compensating so far.

Get buying tips about Flooring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 4, 2022

I placed an order and then changed it because Empire Today didn't have the selection I wanted. So, I took the credit and I was thinking that maybe I'll do window coverings. The same person came to my house. He was nice and he remembered me, which was always good. He was a funny guy and he was very helpful. I was doing the shed so, he changed what the choices were and we ended up with a light-colored wood vinyl that looks good in the room and doesn't make it dark and tiny. It's a 6x10 shed but it looks bigger. It was in grays and they had a little bit more variation. I got an upgraded choice in the color palette that is perfect. This flooring is a nice style that fits in with a small room.

The sales rep was knowledgeable. I liked him the first time. He had a good sense of humor and was very personable. Very modern measuring techniques were used so they got the real shape of the room and there were no surprises. It was quite impressive. I went with the least worst of the choices. I got a contractor I had doing my shower door take me to this place that was Granite Expo and they have a huge variety of floors and I saw what I really wanted. But there was no hassle about canceling and there's no hassle about having it corrected.

I'm using my shed for a sewing room and a friend of mine that knows about sewing machine said that I have to be able to be sure that I get it all less vapor, which was why I decided to put the floor in the shed. The guys who did it said they couldn’t go up to the wall. There were a lot of stuff they couldn't do and it was disappointing. But they went way beyond what they said they could do and I was so impressed by that. All I had to do was to caulk along the sides of the walls rather than filling places that were open. They were friendly and very nice. Empire very easy to work with, which was the nicest thing. I had a good experience with them.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

What got me was the website had the picture. Plus, Empire specializes in flooring. The salesman, I was okay with. But he didn't have much of a personality. I was in sales for a long time. And if I was coming to somebody's home, I would say, "Boy, this really is beautiful. This is gonna look fantastic.” But he was just a dud. I would have come in and said, "Wow. Look at this." Even if we're not getting paid that much or having a bad day or it's a bad commission month, you still want to show some enthusiasm. When you're selling something, you should be a bit more animated and talkative than just sitting there. When he was here, he gave me a bit of an incentive to sign up on that day. I just wanted to get it done. So, I just signed up for it.

I was supposed to get it done on a certain date. I followed the instructions. I took all the pictures off the wall. I took everything that was breakable upstairs. The sales manager called me and said, "We can't come out tomorrow." Because they didn't have enough of the product and it was a day before the installation. I've been in sales before. I know things can happen. I talked to the guy and said, "That's okay. I'm just glad you called." I had to move all of my stuff upstairs. For two weeks, the house was in disarray. But I said, “I think it would be fair if you would compensate me.” He did take some money off and he was a nice guy. It was handled very well. All that did not damper my feelings on the experience I had with the floor.

The workmen were polite and very professional. And they did a beautiful job on the floor. They did the whole downstairs. There was a kitchen involved with the refrigerator. There was a toilet they had to take out. They had to take out a door. They put it back perfectly. The only thing that happened was I had a pedestal sink, and I had to have somebody come in and replace it. It had to be put back in. It cost me a bit of money for that. I asked the guy, I have a slide-in stove and when he put the flooring underneath the slide-in stove, it was raised a bit above my countertop. So I talked to the guy and said that was not right. What he did was he very neatly cut a little hole around the flooring and I couldn't even see it, and now it's flush with the counter.

I love the flooring that I got. It's beautiful. I want the upstairs done. But Empire didn't help me out very much. I just want to make sure that the flooring stays in stock because it's going to take me a while to save up the money to get the upstairs done. They want somebody to come out and look at it, but I'm not ready. I would hate to have somebody have come out here and do a measurement when I'm not ready. We'll just have to try it and see and maybe I can email. I just want to talk to somebody about, "Hey, is this flooring going to stay in stock? How long will it be? Is it going to stop circulation?" If I could just get a definitive, "Well, this is a very high selling floor. We're probably going to have this in stock for the next year or two or three," I'd feel more comfortable because it would be at least $10,000 to $12,000.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

I had carpeting installed in the living room, dining room, and stairwell. The guy pulled up. He rang the doorbell. We went out to the carpet. We confirmed that that was in fact the carpet that I had signed for. We confirmed that the remaining balance was correct. And I was to call in for the remaining balance before they started their installation. And they brought it in. They moved the furniture and started installing. It was between three and four hours. Everything went fairly smooth. The quality of the installation, on a scale of 1 to 10, was 9.5, only because there were a few hiccups with the vents. At one point, the guy covered the vents. I was walking around every now and then, making sure everything looked good. And I figured out that he had covered the vent and an extra vent. So that was strange to me that I had to tell him. Surely, he fixed it.

The second thing was when they moved the furniture back into the dining room, the thing that they had to pull it back to the living room was plastic and they must have hit something on the outside of it, and it scratched my hardwood floors. That was disturbing. And the third thing was when he was doing the stairs, he didn’t do the same as he did on the third step, and he was working on the fourth. So I asked him, “Why did that step did not look the same as the second and third step?” He missed it. He did it a different way. All the other steps were what they called the Hollywood style. It’s a different way of how they installed them. On the first step, he didn’t do it like that. He did a fix, and it’s okay, but not as clean as I would like it. Other than that, I like the feel of the carpet on my bare feet. It was a good deal for the money. I would recommend Empire Today. Just make sure you’re keeping an eye on things.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

The sales rep was great. He was very thorough. He seemed very knowledgeable. The installation crew was great at first, and then not so much. We had the contract written up. We were told what was in the contract, and we were told that baseboard and quarter round was included in the contract. But it turned out that the quarter round was included, but not the baseboard. When the installation crew came, they had the quarter round, but they did not have the baseboard. So then, they partially installed the quarter round and said that they would have to be back for the baseboard. They came back with the baseboard. For what they didn't install, they forgot the quarter round on the second installation, so they had to come back for a third trip. It was very poor planning. Somebody dropped the ball at the warehouse and didn't make a note. It was frustrating that we had to schedule three appointments for one install.

I called Empire after the first install to talk about the baseboard. Then a regional manager called me and I missed it, so I called back. When I called back, I left a message on his voicemail. I got another call back from a call office saying, "Oopsie. Sorry. I'm sending an email right now and you'll get a call back from the regional." But I never got a call back from the regional, and that was when the miscommunication about the quarter round happened and the third install had to happen. So if a regional says that he's gonna call me back, I expect a call from the regional.

The sales rep showed us a place in the contract where the baseboard was included, but he misled us. We saw where it said quarter round, and we were able to go back and find that, it just didn't say baseboard. But Empire said, "Okay. Because he told you that it was included even though it wasn't written in the contract, because you were expecting it, we'll install it." It wasn't in the contract, but they did honor it because we said that that was what the rep told us. There was no fight about it, it was just done. So I was very pleased with how they handled that.

The installers were not expecting that last installation that they did with the quarter round. They weren't real happy about having to come back for a third time, and the installation on that part was a little sloppy. But we were able to fix it, and it's no big deal. It was just the result of somebody being tired of it and being ready to move on. But once the flooring was done, it looks good.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2022

The sales rep was a good dude and explained the whole process. The installer's work ethic was unbelievable. One guy did it all including moving all the furniture. Everything was very nice and perfectly done. He had little sliders to slide things around where he needed to get things out of his way. I was very impressed. He did a nice job. We even did the stairway down to the downstairs too and he did that perfectly.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2022

Empire Today was late getting to the rental property. They also seemed to be slow-moving to get started. But once they got started, they seemed to be okay.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2022

The Empire Today representative who came out initially was amazing. He was very friendly, forthcoming, specific, what would be done, and who would be here to do it. The installer did a good job. I like the quality. But it took over eight hours. The gentleman didn't come until after 2:00 in the afternoon. So, he didn't leave my house until after 10 o'clock at night. It should have been a two-man job. He didn't have a working vacuum cleaner, so when he left, everything was a mess. So, he was up until after 11 o'clock vacuuming.

Also, he didn't put in one of the strips between my bedroom and the hall that he was supposed to. And he didn't carpet inside one of my closets in the landing. So, I wasn't happy with it, but it's not a big deal because it's a closet. Nobody sees it. It’s got shoes on it. Empire Today said somebody would be in touch with me within the next couple of weeks. But I never heard from anybody.

Empire Today response

Lisa, we're unhappy to hear you've had this experience. We're looking into this and we'll follow up with you soon.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2022

We had three rooms done. The rep was informative, gave us lots of options, and prompt. The installers were very clean and efficient. It's a very good experience. We're very happy.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2022

We had appliances put in and the sales guy was great. Got along with him awesome. It was quick and we had plenty of selection. We had a second appointment where Empire Today had to remove ramps underneath the carpet. I called them and the salesman said, "If you need those pulled out, just let us know." We have a buyer for the house and they want it pulled out. So, the entryway was up a bit. That was the tile entryway. So, it will go into the hallway to the bedroom, and entering the living room, we had some ramps underneath there. It was a good experience and the whole install was great. It was a good value.

Empire Today Company Information