Call toll free
3.71/5
Based on 1,733 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1959, Empire Today® has provided Carpet, Hardwood, Laminate, Vinyl, Tile Flooring, and Window Treatments to over 2 million satisfied customers. Offering quality, name-brand products, Empire Today can help you find the product you want, within your budget. Empire brings hundreds of samples to your doorstep. During your free estimate, an experienced Sales Representative will help you choose a floor, take room measurements, and provide an all-inclusive price estimate. And, there’s no need to wait weeks - professional installers can install in-stock styles as soon as the next day. Offering competitive low prices and comprehensive warranties, Empire Today is committed to ensuring your Carpet and Flooring installation experience is top notch and handled by qualified and experienced contractors.

2016 American Business Awards:

The Stevies Company of the Year - Consumer Products - Bronze Winner

The Stevies Company of the Year - Customer Service Department of the Year - Consumer Products - Bronze Winner

Empire Today Video
Empire Today Gallery (5)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

5825 Empire Today Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I've been in this house for 38 years and I've been using Empire since I've been here. I have carpet on the living room, dining room, downstairs and two hallways. After a few years, they always get loose and I still go back to them the next time. They used different contractors every time they sent someone here but I like Empire. I said I wasn’t gonna buy carpet anymore and I'm gonna put wood floors down here because I'm really not satisfied with this carpet mess. Still, I got carpet in my bedroom and my son just put carpet in his bedroom upstairs from Empire. A friend of mine was over here, and she was up there with them. She and my son were very well-satisfied. He thought it was very nice.

Get expert buying tips about Flooring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I did quite a bit of looking around and Empire was the best price we got. I had them install hardwood flooring and the installers were very polite and nice people. They did an excellent job and the new flooring has been wonderful so far.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

The hardwood flooring we got for my living room and my dining room is easy to take care of. Everybody at Empire Today was excellent too. The salesman came here on a Saturday and we were really excited about it. Then two guys came and put the flooring in on a Wednesday, and they were really good. They worked hard. The experience was wonderful and I would totally recommend Empire Today.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

A friend recommended Empire Today because I had a terrible experience with Baker Brothers. A person from Empire came and the whole situation was wonderful. She came, measured and had samples. We agreed on what I wanted that went with the other carpet that I had and it was installed the next day. It was all very simple and as easy as pie. It was awesome. The installers did an excellent job. However, they didn't put a metal strip at the edge of the carpet that I'm afraid the edges may wear through vacuuming So, I hope it lasts. I have friends who said they were thinking about getting a carpet and I recommended Empire.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I liked the way Empire advertised on TV better than the other companies and the saleslady was very nice and helpful. We had vinyl flooring installed in the hallways five months ago and it was good. The installers did a nice job and they cared to make the job as best as possible. However, we had another contract to get the vinyl flooring done and we considered other companies, but we asked Empire to do the job they did before for us and they couldn't do it. When the guys were sent here, they thought the job was gonna be easy. Just put the thing on top of the tiles, but when they came originally for an order, nobody really checked if the floors are level or not. They also haven't thought about things like the doors not being able to open if they do the job.

Our house is very old and the floors are not level. To have this job done properly, they say even if they would have put the floor down, eventually it will come up because of the leveling and they didn't wanna do the job because it wouldn't look professional. They explained mostly in Spanish, but from what I understand, they told us the right thing. This was a big job that will cost extra money because our doors are very heavy and they have to be shaved from the bottom. The tiles that we had before would have to be removed too. I told them that we are not ready to do a big job, they left and that's the problem. The salesman should have at least looked at that before we ordered anything. The company is great, but we weren't happy with our second time with them.

Empire Today response

Mr. and Mrs. Daddi, we regret to hear that your installation did not meet your expectations. We understand that your order has been cancelled, and we'll be looking into this matter, thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Empire Today?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I had Empire Today install floorings on the main rooms. The sales rep showed me some samples of different colors and then I picked a color out of the different brands that were there. Empire has friendly staff all the way around and the new flooring that we have is perfectly fine.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I looked around at other flooring companies but I liked the deal of Empire Today since they had everything to offer. It was nice that and they were quick and timely. Also, their price was reasonable and I was happy with it. I had carpet installed in the living room, hallway, stairs, and downstairs family room. The installers did a great job and they cleaned up after themselves. It was a fast and painless process. The color and the texture of the carpet that I got are awesome. Empire was very interested in making sure that they could totally fulfill the job and that it was complete, so that was great. They're very professional and thorough, and I'll have them come out again soon to do the blinds.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

My wife’s sister had Empire put some carpeting down. So, we also had some kind of carpet installed in a tenant’s house. So far, we are happy with the way everything went.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

We had a salesman come to the house and he had a book or 2 of samples. We would pick out a vinyl that we liked, then he would say, "We don’t have that one in stock." This went on for three more picks. Then they had one that was in stock. So we told the salesman we had some unforeseen remodeling to do before we could have the flooring laid. He said, that was ok. They would hold the flooring amount that we paid for til we needed it. Well Empire would call from time to time to check on our remodeling. So the last set date for install was for September 12. We said come on. They said the installer would call the night before to schedule the time.

We got a call the night before from another salesman wanting to bring by more samples to look at, because they didn’t have any more flooring in what we had already picked out. They do not keep their word and salesmen don’t tell the truth. That is no way to run an honest business. We used Empire 40 years ago at our first home. We were very happy with their service and product. What happened? The kicker is they wanted a check on the day you purchased which I understand. But they ran that check immediately to see if it would clear.

I was drawing interest on the money in the account, which is one of the largest banks in New York. But after all this hassle with Empire Floors, we cancelled the whole $2126 worth of flooring. Then we have to wait for snail mail to get our check for the refund. They get their money that moment and we get to wait!!! Some bigger than them and us was looking out for us. We found a much better deal and a much much much reasonable price... Just hope when I get Empire's check, that it is GOOD! Then I will probability have to wait several days til the bank will clear it. Laugh! Be forewarned.

Empire Today response

Bill, thank you for making us aware of this matter. We'll be in touch with you shortly to discuss your concerns.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I'm 90 years and so the kids are fixing up the house to sell it after I pass on. We had Empire Today do carpeting in a couple of our bedrooms and we are very satisfied. The color of the carpet goes with everything.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

We used Empire Today before and they did a good job. This time, they installed carpet flooring in two bedrooms and a living room of the house. That house is a rental unit and nobody lives there, and nobody has been in it since the installation. Nonetheless, Empire did all right and the installation was great. We like that the carpet has a decent color and it's easy to clean. Overall, the experience that we had with Empire was good and we've recommended them to a friend.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I purchased carpet from Empire and it has faded and they refuse to replace it. Empire came out to retile bathroom floors and caused 11,000 in damage. Timothy ** of Empire carpets asked me not to call him. The carpet faded. Empire promise do you resolve the issue but then tried to charge me an additional $1,900. This is 2 years later and the problem is still not fixed. Empire sent installers into my home to put in Plank Floors in my bathroom. Ben ** forgot to get a ring for the toilet, cut a hole in my piping system. Water leaked all over my house. I had to pay a plumber $2,700 and Empire refuses to reimburse me even though they promised they would. My insurance company is trying to handle the physical damage. This matter happens on a Friday. Roto-Rooter came out and was going to charge me $5,000 but I found a cheaper plumber. Empire told me to get the work done and refuses to pay for it.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I asked someone who had some flooring done in his house who he worked with and he said Empire. Also, I would always see commercials of Empire Today and I thought about getting a quote. I liked the pricing and I wanted it to match the quality of what I was getting. The salesman asked me if I ever considered vinyl floor and I said no. He showed me a sample and I had it installed everywhere except the kitchen and the bathroom. I had carpet before and now that I have the vinyl flooring, it looks like a totally different house.

The installation was a little tedious at first. The previous owner had tile underneath tiles and we had to go through the whole check to see if there was asbestos. That delayed some of the flooring but the installer went ahead and did what he could. He called his supervisor, and he gave me the number to somebody in this area that does the testing. I was able to get in contact with the people that do the testing and they came out the same day. While the people were working, the person who checked for asbestos gave me the results over the phone and then sent me an email with the information. The installer called me and he was saying initially that he couldn’t get out here until after the next day. However, he called me the very next day and he said that if I had the results out, he would come and finish the floor.

We signed the contract for the quarter round and the installers were confused. We wanted the unfinished quarter round and they brought the wood quarter round and we said we didn’t want it. The next day, they brought the white and we told them we went with the unfinished. He said that they didn’t have it. Other than that, it was good. The installation team was here early in the morning and they were ready to go. They were patient we were told to move certain things and I could not do it all by myself. They helped me move it to another area and they moved to the side the stuff that was big. Then, they put it back with care after they did the floor.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

We chose Empire's luxury vinyl plank flooring and had it installed in three rooms. Their price was right and our next door neighbor was the sales rep. Plus they matched the texture and the quality seemed to be exactly what we were looking for. We have one issue that we'll probably have to call them about, but other than that, the flooring has been excellent. I'm happy with everything.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

The carpet install was good and the carpet is very nice. The vinyl install in the kitchen and art room is not acceptable. A representative came and checked it out and agreed. He said it would need to be redone. That was 3 weeks ago. Since then, I have tried to contact him and another person at their offices and have left messages. Still I have heard nothing. For this reason I would not recommend Empire Today.

Empire Today response

Shirley, we never want our customers to be disappointed with their installation. We've located your order, and we'll be in touch with you shortly to learn more.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I have normally done all the work in my house myself but decided to go with Empire to convert my small back room to laminate flooring. I paid more than triple the amount but wanted it done and was assured everything was guaranteed satisfaction. The T-molding they installed didn’t match the color of the flooring. They basically took a scrap piece from the back of the truck and used it. Obviously I was not satisfied. I left about 20 messages with the company and was placed on hold for hours trying to get someone to call me back. No joke, finally a month later a customer service rep called me back. I have never dealt with such a horrible, unprofessional company. Every time I called nobody was able to help me and was promised I would get a call within 24 hours... Well I finally got someone to call me back a month later! Based on my experience and how I was treated, I would not recommend Empire Flooring to anyone!

Empire Today response

Soley, we regret to hear your story and sincerely apologize for your experience. We'll be in touch with you shortly to learn more.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I like the carpeting installed by Empire Today in the bedroom. So far, it has met my expectations. Also, I liked the installation and the installers were nice. The price was reasonable as well. I’m very pleased with them. When my money gets better, I will definitely call them to have some flooring done.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I talked to a couple of different flooring companies and their timelines were too far out for me. In contrast, Empire Today was be able to get in there and get the work done the next day, and that was the selling point so I went with them. I had them install hardwood floors in my master bedroom and on my staircase. I chose that particular product due to its look and value. I had an excellent experience with Empire and the whole crew did a hell of a job. Relative to how all the projects went on in my new house, Empire's crew was the best. They were the most reliable and the nicest guys. No doubt about it, the work they did was by far the best job that was done for me.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Worst company ever! We had wood, LVP, carpet installed. What we had agreed on was not done and yet we were charged for it! Had damaged roof and 2 months now, just getting runaround. Nobody picks up the phone. When they pick up the phone, you are told someone will get back to you! A lie! Nobody has ever called us back. PLEASE save your time and money! It’s been a nightmare.

Empire Today response

Martha, thank you for letting us know about the issues you're experiencing with your installations. We’ll be in touch with you soon to start discussing possible solutions.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

We had a carpet installation for our church office that took all of Thursday and part of Friday. It was only 600 ft.². The worst part was that the job looks absolutely terrible! I find it hard to believe that the person installing the carpet was even trained properly. That aside I have been on the phone nonstop since Friday night trying to find a resolution only to be put on hold, put into people's voicemails and told an inspector needs to come and look first. The original rep who gave me his cell phone saying to reach out if there's anything has been unhelpful too, for a company as well known as Empire I am frankly stunned!

Empire Today response

Nici, we regret to hear this, and would like to look into your concerns right away. Please email us at customersupport@empire-today.com and include the street address where your installation took place, thank you.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

We had dealt with Empire Today before but every single time, we couldn't come up with the cash. So we decided to get another carpet when we had the money. When we got the carpet, we had it installed throughout the home, in all four bedrooms and the stairs. It was a good experience. They did what we wanted, cleaned up after themselves and got the job done as quickly as possible. They did a good job. The carpet is new and I like that it's clean. I would recommend Empire and if I decide to get some more work done, I'd call them again.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I needed some carpet installed in the bedrooms and I had some friends say that Empire Today was pretty good. The color of the carpet I got from them looked one way but when I got it, it looked lighter. Also, I was told that they couldn’t put the silver piece that they put around the edge of the carpet where it meets the carpet in the hallway. I didn’t put in a new carpet in the hall because I wanted to get hardwood in that part. However, in the bedrooms, they just put that carpet down and it doesn’t have those attachments, and I didn’t like the way it looks. I had somebody from Empire come here and they said they couldn’t put those tacks on. I feel like this carpet is coming up soon from the people going in and out of these bedrooms. Also, I paid too much for it to do that. Nevertheless, they did a good job.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I compared Empire Today's prices with other flooring companies and these were cheaper. I had carpet installed in my living room, bedroom and halls. The guy that installed it was highly professional and he did a really good job. I like that the carpet is comfortable and it has met my expectations.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I had Empire Today install ceramic tiles in my den, living room and hallway. I wanted a hardwood type of material but my husband wanted the ceramic so, we wound up with the lightest ceramic. Empire Today advertised that if I’d do one room, the other rooms would be $50 but it never came about and I paid almost $2,000. But the installation went smoothly. Once the installers got started, they did what they got to do and got it done. It was a little hard on the guys because we had to move stuff. Also, it was hard for me to take all the breakable stuff down and the dusting and cleaning up later on. So far, there are little spaces going around the door. I have to plug in the space to make it look like it’s not such a gap there. But other than that, the new flooring is doing okay.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

When my mom purchased the home, she said Empire was same folks that installed the carpeting, that’s why she didn’t hesitate to call them back. She enjoyed her experience with them. She had them install a wood laminate flooring in the living room, the entry into the doorway and into the living room of her home. She likes the style and the color of the flooring. The salespeople that she spoke with were pretty no-hassle. She enjoyed her time speaking with them, and they talked to her through the steps.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

We had Empire install our laminate floors. Installers were very friendly. However, most of the laminate floors started delaminating the next day. Called again about more boards delaminating and no one showed. Not even a call from the installer or company to let me know if he was gonna be late or reschedule. We had to deal with the customer service more than a few times to get this resolved. Ciera from the Nashville area was more than helpful to put request but I know she can only do so much.

Empire Today response

Timothy, we know your time is valuable and we sincerely regret to hear this. We'll be in touch with you shortly to learn more.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

When I had the salesman come out, I received an estimate from him. He had to redo the figures and it took 6 days, with phone calls, and then texts, because his voicemail was full, to get the corrected amount, one day before installation. When the installers arrived, there was push back from the start. He didn't want to move furniture, I paid for that. He didn't want to install laminate in one of the bathrooms, because he said it would look terrible. I was staying at a hotel overnight, and paid $200 for that.

I went the following morning and met the installer and the salesman. I picked out a vinyl flooring then. I had to text him to try to get an install time. That was 5 days after I picked it out. I then had to ask him about a price adjustment because the vinyl was less. The difference was they owed me about $235, as I had paid in full for my entire house. Over $9000. The installers came today, and wanted me to pay for the vinyl, which of course I refused to do. They had to leave and reschedule because no one in customer service was able to figure it out. I am now set for an install on Monday, the 10th. This is ridiculous. I will make sure all of my friends, relatives and neighbors know about this debacle.

Empire Today response

Julie, we’re sorry you had this experience and we’d like to help, but we’re unable to locate your account. Please email us at customersupport@emprie-today.com so we can further address your concerns.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I have had one bad experience after another with Empire. Laminate Floor measures wrong so couldn’t be finished, brought wrong material to finish, didn’t bring trim 3rd time here to finish, carpet came after laminate finally finished only to say boards stair step and he can’t match up with a straight line. 2 full weeks been here 5 times floor still not finished. Can’t get any answers, 800 is clueless and not helpful, installation manager stopped returning calls, can’t get anyone to talk to me about not having to pay full price for this level of service. Facebook comments get deleted when I ask for help. Worst experience I’ve had with a company hand down!

Empire Today response

Emily Oliver, thank you for letting us know about the issues you're experiencing with your installations. We’ll be in touch with you shortly to start discussing possible solutions.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

My wife has cancer and we're in a mobile home. If we ever had to have a wheelchair, I figured it would roll better on a vinyl floor. I had reps from different flooring companies come in and I talked to them. I liked Empire Today better. I liked the salesman and the way he presented everything. I had them install vinyl flooring throughout the whole house. Empire was great and I'm gonna have a neighbor call them about getting some flooring for themselves.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

We had hardwood flooring installed in two rooms and we had the vinyl installed in the kitchen. We had a little problem starting but it was taken care of. I like the appearance of our new flooring. We had Empire do other things so we had them come back. Buying from them was simple. Everything was done great. It was a great job. I would recommend it.

Empire Today expert review by Joseph Truini

The year 1959 saw the founding of Empire Today in Chicago. Since then, the business has grown into a true empire with locations in the majority of U.S. states.

• Products: Empire Today offers carpet, hardwood, laminate, resilient vinyl, tile, even window blinds and shades. Free-in-home estimates are available.

• Financing: Empire Today and Wells Fargo Bank offer financing, including an interest-free option, that charges no interest for 12 months. Another option gives you a 48-month payoff time frame at 9.99 percent interest rate.

• Warranties: Empire Today warranties run a lifetime in some cases, with a still-respectable 30 years in several other cases.

• Outdoor carpeting: Empire sells carpeting for porches, patios and decks. Their short pile height helps keep crushes and dents from forming.

• Installation: Installations are performed by independent contractors who work with Empire Today. Options include next-day installation and half-price deals.

• Best for: Luxury shoppers, budget seekers and people with pets and kids stand to find what they need from Empire Today.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Empire Today Company Information