2. Homeowners
  3. Flooring
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.27/5

Empire Today has provided customers with carpet, hardwood, laminate, vinyl tile flooring and window to more than 2 million customers since 1959. The company brings hundreds of samples to your doorstep, and a sales representatives helps you choose a floor, takes room measurements and provides an all-inclusive price estimate. Professional installers can install in-stock styles as soon as the next day. The company offers competitive prices and comprehensive warranties.

Empire Today Video
Empire Today Gallery (5)

BOTTOM LINE

Empire Today brings the shopping experience to you with its in-home consultations and professional flooring specialists. Price quotes are only available after an appointment, but there is no obligation to buy.

PROS

• Professional measurements
  • 1-year limited installation warranty
  • Brings product samples to your home

CONS

• Limited financing options
  • Consultation required for estimate

Top Empire Today Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Empire Today?

We had hardwood installed in my living room and hallway. The sales rep from Empire was pretty good. The installation took two days and it went very well. We had a lot going on that day and their installers worked their butts off. It’s beautiful and I really like it. It’s much easier to take care of.

… The installers did a good job. They came in and out, spent a lot of time, and took care of everything, moving my furniture easily. They took precautions not to break or damage anything. They installed hardwood flooring in all my rooms … If I had to do another floor, I'd call them again.

What is Empire Today?

Empire Today offers floor and window renovations for residential and commercial customers. To get started with Empire Today, visit its website to schedule a personalized shopping experience. All of Empire Today’s consultations take place in your home, which lets you find the samples that best match the decor in your home under your own lighting.

During the initial consultation, Empire’s independent contractor measures the room and provides a price estimate. Because measurements are taken before you purchase the materials, Empire Today can ensure that customers get the right amount of flooring needed for the job. All of the company’s installation services include a one-year limited warranty.

Empire Today also offers online tools to make interior decorating easier. The “See a Floor in Your Room” function on its website lets you upload a picture of your room and try different flooring options before scheduling a consultation. In addition, customers can see photos to use as inspiration for different rooms.

Empire flooring prices

While an in-home consultation is required to get an estimate of Empire Today’s products and services, the company does offer regular discounts, coupons and promotions on its website. New customers can get up to $250 off by signing up for Empire Today’s email service.

Financing options are also available. Empire Today’s credit card offers monthly payment options over 12 or 48 months with a 9.99% APR through Wells Fargo Bank.

Empire Today FAQ

Does Empire Today have showrooms or retail stores?
No. According to Empire Today, the company “brings the showrooms and retail stores to you.” Empire Today opts for a shop-at-home model instead of operating stores.
How do I shop with Empire?
To shop with Empire, book an appointment on its website or call the company to have a flooring specialist visit your home or business.
Is there any charge or obligation for an estimate?
No. In-home consultations through Empire Today are free, and there’s no charge or obligation to buy to receive an estimate.
Do the products have any warranty?
Yes, Empire Today’s products come with a manufacturer’s warranty and a limited installation warranty. It’s best to check with the company for specifics on the manufacturer’s warranty.
What type of financing options does Empire have?
Empire Today offers a credit card in partnership with Wells Fargo Bank. Currently, customers can choose from 12-month or 48-month payment plans.
Does Empire Today move furniture?
Yes, you can request furniture moving services through Empire Today. You’re responsible for moving small or breakable items.
How long does Empire take to install?
As long as products are in stock, Empire Today can install as quickly as the next day. The company works around your schedule.

Is Empire flooring a good deal?

We recommend Empire Today for homeowners and businesses who prefer to save on shopping time and see what flooring looks like in their space before purchasing. Customers praise Empire Today’s knowledgeable staff and the company’s quick service. Individuals with strangely shaped rooms or corners appreciate Empire Today’s in-home measurements, which make it easier to purchase the right type and amount of supplies before installation begins.

Empire Today Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Empire Today?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

Note: Empire Today erases all of its negative reviews on Social Media and online if they can. The common response is "please contact us and we will look into it," or "someone will be contacting you soon." They NEVER do. This is a very detailed interaction. You also can never file a complaint with their office and there is no dispute resolution. If you call the corporate office you will be required to have an extension to reach someone but customer service will not give you that extension. So you cannot go up the ladder. You are stuck.

If I could give this review a NEGATIVE FIVE I would. Poor quality carpet, always sales consultant, no follow through, installation was bad (only realized it after a few days), and once they get your money you can forget about them honoring what their salespeople or managers promised. The rating is an A+ but only because the BBB does not take reviews into account. The only requirement I wanted and stated from the very first call of making my appointment to the sales rep was a carpet that would show no lines and no foot traffic. It was THE MOST IMPORTANT item and I was promised to get it. Instead I got a carpet that shows all the traffic and I have more work to do around the house. I chose Empire after looking for carpet for months.

The experience has been the worst regarding their sales representative Coleton, their customer service member Christian, their manager Caitlyn, and her assistant Shay. Coletan called me to say he would be to our appointment in 20 minutes. An hour later I called him to ask where he was. He said 5 minutes away. He finally arrives 40 minutes later explaining that he was closing on a new home and his realtor called about a problem. At first we turned him away, but since he was there already we decided to let him come in. HUGE MISTAKE. He showed me 3 samples. We picked a color we like and Coleton guaranteed it would not show lines or traffic. I ran my hands across the sample I did not see any. We were satisfied.

Later he said that he had more samples usually but they were at home packed in boxes. I thought what we got was a good price, $2700, and I liked the color so we were fine. Installation day. I was asked to confirm that the installers had the carpet I picked. It was rolled up but it was the right color and carpet. Christian called to ask me how installation was going. I explained they hadn't not started installing yet, only tearing up. She told me to call back to the number she called me from if there were any problems. We waited in the car since there was nowhere to sit in the house. I checked on the progress and saw that the carpet had their footprints. One guy was in the living room working and only half the carpet was laid.

I IMMEDIATELY called Christian at the number she gave me 4 times. No one ever picked up. I called and left a voicemail that there was a problem. My installation was a Saturday. She called me back on the following Tuesday. I explained the problem. She said a manager would call me. End of week and still no call. I called back again and explained the situation. Caitlyn finally called. I explained the problem. She offered me to get another carpet type and to pay for it but I would get a 50% discount. I would still owe the $2700 from the first installation. She went on to explain all of the things that the sales person should have explained, even telling me I should have went with a Berber carpet.

That was never an option offered. Then we discussed giving me a discount on the carpet that I already had. She said she would call me in two days to inform what discount I could get. She never called. I responded to the survey Empire sent via email and a man called me. I explained the problem and he said that he would have the manager call me. Instead she had her assistant Shay call me. Shay made me feel hope again. She apologized and told me that I did everything that I was supposed to do. She said that they have been short staffed and that was why no one answered the phones on the day of installation.

She said that normally the policy is to allow the customer to change the carpet but get a 50% discount but in my case it was not my fault and I would have no way of knowing the carpet would show lines because the sales person said it wouldn't, the sample didn't show it, and then no one answered my call when I tried to fix it. She scheduled an appointment for an inspector to come back and look over everything and find a solution. She said the manager would be calling me to make everything right. That was a Friday. On Monday Shay called completely different attitude and told me there was nothing they would do because I signed a contract and agreed to the carpet and I should've stopped the installation in progress even though no one answered the phones.

She said someone would have eventually contacted me to pick out new carpet but she did not know how long it would take. Meanwhile, I would have been in my house with exposed nails, subflooring and cement. I explained that Caitlyn promised to discount my carpet but Shay said that Caitlyn never told her that and she would check with her. I asked her to have Caitlyn call me back. She never did. Today I received a call from Shay telling me that I owe the full amount and I could pay to choose between the two Berber options they had, but it nothing would be done from Empire. I have attempted to reach corporate, I have filed a complaint with the BBB, I have disputed the amount on my card. No result.

Get buying tips about Flooring delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

Had my LVP installed in May 2016. Last month I noticed buckling of the floors (less than 4 years of light use). Contacted customer service support and was advised that it will be $100 for them to come over and evaluate what was wrong. After evaluation, I was advised that although couple of planks needed to be replaced due to product issue, but since it was 4 years, they will have to redo the whole room for the discounted price of $700. A little prior me noticing it, I had the adjacent room remodeled with using Empire Today as well.

One of the installers asked me whether the floors of the room in question were installed by ET. I said yes, and he never said anything, but now I realize that he has seen the issue and failed to tell me the truth. Highly disappointed in how they treat repeat customers. The room is not very big. I paid $1,200 in May 2016, and now I have to pay another $700. Poor practice, dishonest treatment. PS: at some point representative responded to my concern that installation warranty is only one year... "We have to take our of our installers". And all those years I thought it was all about customers.

Empire Today response

Darya, we apologize for your experience and will be in touch with you shortly.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

We had wooden floors installed in August 2020. The salesperson was very nice. When the installers came to the house, they were were acceptable. Unfortunately, I wasn't there when they were finished and within an hour of their departure, I noticed a piece of the wooden floor was chipped in the living room. I called immediately and I called and I called and I called. I even called the Salesperson. No response to my problem and still have not heard from them concerning standing by their product. The installers also left materials on our patio for us to clean up. The floors are beautiful except for the problem. I really can't believe they will not stand by their product. I would never purchase anything from them again.

Empire Today response

Susan, we take your concerns seriously and will be in touch with you shortly to learn more.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

Installers were quick and completed the install of 3 rooms in 2 days leaving the floor fairly clean. In one week I fount a damaged piece, two days later I found 6-8 pieces that are manufactured bad. The texture is damaged by manuf. 2nd call, waiting two weeks, 3rd call, the hung up on me; 4th conversation they stated they have no knowledge of the bad materials (even though installer saw it and we both took pictures). After the 4th call again... they have to come see it (AGAIN, 2nd time). I've lost over a $1000.00 in wages waiting for these people. HORRIBLE Company Communications!

Empire Today response

Marc, thank you for making us aware of your concerns. We sincerely regret to hear that your floor is not meeting your expectations. We've located your account and will be in touch with you soon.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

All seemed good when they installed my carpet. We were not to move in until the following week. The very first night in our new home, I took my grandson into the bathroom to brush his teeth. Unknowingly, there were at least 15 spikes sticking up in the threshold. My grandson received 2 deep puncture wounds to his foot and I received 3 deep puncture wounds to my foot. We both had to get tetanus shots. Now I am afraid to walk anywhere in my house in my socks. Did I mention my grandson is 6 years old. THANKS EMPIRE!

Empire Today response

Roger, thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We sincerely regret to hear that your installation did not meet your expectations. We've located your account and will be in touch with you soon.

Original review: April 1, 2020

Somebody that we were talking to had at least had heard about Empire. We told her that we've been to a number of different places, checking out different carpets. The installation went fine. Everybody was good. They were well-qualified and did well. They were kind, courteous and helpful and did what they needed to do at that point. They had to come back because it was such a monumental thing. We had to move everything in the house and we had way too much stuff in the house. So, it was a monumental deal to just move it and then move it from where you moved it to so they could put more down. But other than that, they did what they said they were gonna do. Even the salesman was courteous, kind and was good.

I communicated with the salesman and told him that we liked the carpet mats, and yet at the same time, I didn't realize that it would mat that much. And so, as far as tracking and anything laying on it, shows. Just every step you take shows. Every print and whatever. And so, it's just unique. Some carpets do that and some don't. But I didn't realize this was going to do that. But we've done what we could do. We can't change it. We'll live with it, but it's just the fact that we just somehow didn't realize it was gonna have that tracking ability just profoundly. I even sent the salesman a couple of pictures. I could send him another one, but I guess he knows that we got what we asked for.

The fact that he showed us a sample and we walked on it and so forth and felt it. You just stood on it. It wasn't long enough to walk on, but you stood on it, then made a decision. He said it was like king of the walk and is wonderful and people liked it. A little bit of carpet we have in a lower room doesn't do the tracking at all. We just didn't have enough money to do it. I wouldn't wanna have it laid. If I had something to where you'd have both in the same place, if I could get something to put it down so it didn't have the contrast. That would be helpful.

I hope and pray the quality is all it is cracked up to be. We like the color and we chose that. I'm walking on the carpet now and we're learning to live with it. It gives you a good feel and it's not abrasive like some. If you roll a chair that has rollers on it or if you sweep, it's interesting. As far as what we had picked out, both as far as flooring and carpet, we put down the flooring in the kitchen area, and then we put carpet throughout everything else basically, and I told my wife with what we were doing, if we would've gone that route, we would've had two different issues but we would've saved a couple of thousand dollars if we did what we were thinking about.

So we paid a higher price, paid more funds for what we have, and there's a possibility it may be better. We surely were not being skimpy. We looked at several places. We looked at Lowe's and Home Depot, and then we also looked at a discount place in Georgia. And so, if we had gone with what we were actually picking out, then it surely wasn't by any means the bottom of the line. It was quality, both as far as pad and carpet, but it would've actually been a couple thousand dollars less.

The fact that Empire at least allowed us to purchase it and pay for it over the year with no interest, then I made the choice to do that just so we didn't have to spend all the money at one time. But in actuality, what we were gonna buy would've been a couple thousand less than what we put in this. We put 7,300 and some dollars in this. I don't have complaints with the personnel or the people or the installers. It's just the fact that we did not discern how it was gonna end up looking.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

There was another company that was advertising but I checked with Empire first. Somebody said I should’ve checked with those and compared. I had vinyl plank installed in every room in the whole house although I wish that I stayed with my Hickory laminate. I let the rep from Empire talked me into the vinyl because of the bathroom. The Hickory laminate was my pick before the man ever showed up and even after he showed the other ones, I said that I liked my Hickory. I wanted it in the whole house including the bathroom. The rep said no because of the water. He said that we had to put something else in there. So, they showed me the vinyl plank and it looked like my Hickory but I have a picture that I took of his board, and he showed me a little square that he has on the board. I took a picture of that and I took a picture of the floor that was beside it on their picture. Everything looked shiny.

After I got back here and Empire had it all done, there was nothing shiny to it though. It looks just like my Hickory. It was the same basic color, just a little bit redder or darker than the Hickory. But that doesn’t bother me because I love the color. It’s just the smoothness of it shows all your footprints and it's hard to clean. You are constantly wiping around it or trying to dust it with dust mop. I’m 70 and I have congestive heart failure and my kids wanted me to do it so that I wouldn’t be cleaning the carpets and getting down on that floor that I had because it was all white. I wish I had stayed with the Empire Hickory instead of going with this, but I can’t do my whole house over again.

The installation team was wonderful. They were young and I was worried about that but there was enough of them so that my little dog and I could get back in. I was worried about how many days it might take them and what problems they might run into. But they had it all done in one day and they were straight through lines, which was great. The only thing is, they’re not plumbers. I had to have the commode looked at twice after they left because they had a problem with one commode. We were on the phone with their boss before they left because it wasn’t sealed. It moved when you sit down on it and so, it wasn’t straight. They went over to tighten the other one and that one began to leak a little. So, he talked to the guy on the phone again and then, they took something, fixed it and they had to saw the nuts off.

I had to call my plumber in because I didn’t wanna call them back because I knew they weren’t plumbers. I wanted a real plumber who knew what they were doing. My plumber tightened both of them for me and then, when I went to run the washer, the water wasn’t coming in. So, the plumber did that. I’m glad I tried the washer the night before the plumber come or I wouldn’t have known that and I had to call him back. But as far as the workmanship, the guys did a good job. I walked around with them and even the trims look decent. I was worried the trim was gonna be all marked up.

Also, I had to call and file a problem with Wells Fargo because my Empire contract had me down for 9.99 for 48 months. It was the contract that I signed and I have a copy of but when they gave me the bill for one year, after that, it goes 28%. I called Wells Fargo and they said that that’s not what Empire gave them. So then, I had to call Empire. I was supposed to contact them because the bank didn’t do anything. When I called the bank, the rep said that Empire hasn’t gotten a hold of them. I set up a dispute between us and right now, I’m waiting on somebody to get me started on my payment plan at 9.99 that I agreed to. I just want Empire to get this straightened up.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

My sister had done some carpeting at her home in Indiana, and I thought it was fantastic in the price she had paid. So I called Empire and a gentleman came out. The salesman was very kind. He did the initial measurements and went over everything with me. He took his time and answered all my questions. On the day of installation, the crew came out. They were very professional and did everything. We did run into a problem at the end. When it came time to sign the completion papers, I noticed that there was nothing due from me. I couldn't understand that as when the initial salesman came out, we had talked about financing. I told him I wanted to put a certain amount down. When he wrote the receipt from Empire, he had written down the balance that was due. He informed me that when the service people come out, I would give them the check for the money I wanted to put down. That was when things got crazy.

The guy couldn't understand why I was trying to give him the money, since I'm not supposed to collect anything. I told him it was not the agreement we had agreed on. I got my receipt and showed him. I said that this was almost a $1,900 job here and I was putting $1,000 down and left the balance of 895. And that's the way the salesman had written it up and I showed him that receipt. I told him that I was supposed to give him a $1,000 check that day. He was still confused. He would not take my check, and he ended up calling some office. And then I got very angry and upset. I thought that what he did next was very rude.

The gentleman who came in to do the work was Hispanic, and there's nothing wrong with that. He had been here for about a hour or so, and had talked English to me the entire time. But when he gets on the phone to begin talking to whoever it was he was talking to, he stood in my living room and the whole conversation is in Spanish. I didn't understand what he was saying. So I told him that I needed to understand what he was saying.

He ended up having to get my banking information and my card number, so they can get the payment. I ended up writing him a check. At any rate, we did get it worked out because I did talk with the young lady and I explained to her what we had gone through with the initial salesman and what I was expected to pay. She told that I was okay for $8,000. I said her I understood all of that. And then she told me that I was down for the full amount to be financed. But I argued with her that I didn't want it financed for that much. I told her I'm putting it down, and then finance it. That was when I got upset. It went absolutely crazy in the end. I felt like I was being pushed to finance the entire amount, and I kept telling the young lady that was not what I wanna do. But other than that, their salespeople and the crew that came out were fantastic. I like Empire's product and the service was great.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

We were gonna do a whole house remodel and I started searching on Google. I found that Empire Today had very good responses. People were very happy with Empire, which was probably the main reason we chose them. We did a wood plank that's waterproof that has a cushion back on it. When the installers came, they said that we bought the top-of-the-line. We had it put in the living room, dining room, kitchen, hallway, utility room and two bathrooms. We had it in everything except for two bedrooms and then we had carpet put there.

At first, when the rep brought his samples in, he wanted to sell us some linoleum and we didn't wanna go that way. We wanted it to look nice. My wife said we wanted some kind of a planking. So, he went out and that was the piece that he brought in. It was a light gray color and that's what we picked. He seemed to know a lot about it. He only brought us in one piece to pick from and that was kind of different. He would have brought us several but we told him ahead of time that we were going with light gray walls and white ceilings, and we already had the white kitchen in blackish gray granite, so he kinda knew the color scheme and he was good about it.

We had a problem part way through the installation. We took for granted that every piece of what the rep brought us was gonna look that way. The crew started laying it and they had four light pieces together and then a dark piece, and it just didn't look right. So, we stopped and called the rep. The crew, in turn, pulled it up and started mixing the boxes so we wouldn't have such a variance and the floor turned out great. They were here five days. When they put the gray trim down, when they cut it, the ends weren't gray, and I wasn't happy with that.

We had this whitish, light brownish color on the end of the trim going down the hallway when it would bump up to a door casing. Finally, after a couple more times of coming back, they took some kind of a gray pencil and colored the ends of them and it made it look a little bit better, but we still have some that weren't all the way completed. But it's not bad. They had to match an existing door trim and the quarter round trim was just too big for it, so it would kind of stand out. It was a $10,000 job and it turned out very nice. We've had several people compliment us on it.

This was a 1985 manufactured home that sits on a slab. You're used to seeing light brown walls and paneling looking stuff. We completely changed it all up into light gray walls and charcoal beams, and then we also had the new white kitchen and the flooring. We got all new blinds in now and switching all the ivory outlets and switches over to white, and we're going with the panels just to kinda make it look nice. It will probably be a home that me and my wife live in for the rest of our lives, so we figured we might as well fix it up the way we want. We're very happy.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

When we had put some carpeting in our home a couple of years ago, we looked at a couple of different people and got some different estimates. We went with Empire. I also stayed with them when I chose carpeting for two bedrooms in a rental home that we own. The carpeting needed to be replaced and that was done beautifully.

A representative was assigned to us and we were given an appointment window, as a lot of companies do like from 8:00 to 10:00 or 10:00 to 12:00, and also a date for him to come. He contacted us early in the morning at that date to confirm the appointment window then met us at the property. First of all, he asked us what we were considering and what price range we wanted. He had noted that it was a rental home, so he didn’t really try to convince us that we needed huge, expensive carpeting for those two bedrooms. He said it was in a really reasonable price range. He showed us several alternatives, discussed the carpeting and the padding with us, the turnaround time, and the possible delivery times. After we had wrapped up, we had chosen the one that we liked.

We were having the house painted at the time, so it was easy to match the carpet with the color of the new walls because they were being made new simultaneously. We chose the carpeting and he checked on a couple of possible installation dates. He found one a couple of days later in that same week then set our schedule and their schedule. The only thing that I was curious about was paying the deposit with a check, which got photographed and sent over the internet, then handed back to me and voided. It was a procedure I had not ever used before. It was a little crazy to do it over the computer that way rather than just handing the check and have them turn it in. But it seems that the payment went through very smoothly, and the same method was used two days later when we had the carpeting installed.

We had a window of what time that the gentleman would be coming to install the carpet, and they arrived in the first portion of that window in the day. But I don’t think they called ahead of time. They just appeared without making us wait all day long for them. They were in and out of the home in a very quick and efficient manner. They measured, organized, cut the carpet, and put it down. They did a beautiful job and they finished within about two hours for the two bedrooms. We’re very happy with the product.

In both instances that we’ve talked with the people who have come out to make the sale, they’ve been really interested in what we wanted to do and how we perceived redoing the house. They didn’t try to convince me to carpet my entire house since I told them I only wanted to carpet the upstairs and leave the wood floors in the downstairs. They didn’t try to twist my arm to change my mind. They just sat right down and got to business with what I wanted. In our recent one, they didn’t say they could carpet the bathroom or they could do the adjacent room and add to this. They just said, “This is what you want, and these are our products.” They gave the price ranges and made recommendations for our rental because a certain type of fabric may hold up better than something else in the line. I thought that they very much took into consideration the audience they’re selling things to and didn’t try to oversell.

Empire Today Company Information