Call toll free
3.52/5
Based on 1,522 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1959, Empire Today® has provided Carpet, Hardwood, Laminate, Vinyl, Tile Flooring, and Window Treatments to over 2 million satisfied customers. Offering quality, name-brand products, Empire Today can help you find the product you want, within your budget. Empire brings hundreds of samples to your doorstep. During your free estimate, an experienced Sales Representative will help you choose a floor, take room measurements, and provide an all-inclusive price estimate. And, there’s no need to wait weeks - professional installers can install in-stock styles as soon as the next day. Offering competitive low prices and comprehensive warranties, Empire Today is committed to ensuring your Carpet and Flooring installation experience is top notch and handled by qualified and experienced contractors.

2016 American Business Awards:

The Stevies Company of the Year - Consumer Products - Bronze Winner

The Stevies Company of the Year - Customer Service Department of the Year - Consumer Products - Bronze Winner

Empire Today Video
Empire Today Gallery (5)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

6348 Empire Today Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I had Empire Today install laminate flooring and everything was fine. The people were wonderful and they cleaned up after themselves. They fixed everything that they had to fix after putting the molding down because they would hammer the molding and then the top part would pop out. I love the flooring itself and it's easier to clean than vacuuming carpeting. It’s also easier to either vacuum it or do a quick dust mop. I can dust it really quickly if somebody happens to be coming over and I need a quick fix.

Get expert buying tips about Flooring delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

We had used Empire before on the first ground floor apartment and we didn't have a problem. They were very reasonable throughout. Recently I had a carpet done upstairs in three bedrooms and a corridor. My only concern was when I asked the guys who came in with the carpet to fix the flooring. It was supposed to be all put in a report. The floor seemed to crack a bit at times, so I had asked if it would be a problem and if it could be fixed. The initial rep said it shouldn’t be a problem and that it would probably be a little extra, which wasn't a big deal compared to what I wanted done to one of the bedrooms.

When the tech guys came, it appeared to be that they didn’t know that they had to do that. They took pictures of my house and sent it to their boss, and I was very upset. Their boss told them to charge me extra money because they had to move stuff. I have a dresser and they'd have to put it on something to slide it. But the next crew that came tried to make things as simple as possible. They came in and said it was not a problem. The carpet is good and I appreciate the work that the guys did, and they were respectful of everything. The only holdback was when I tried to get the original rep, it was hard to get to him. It was a lost-and-found situation.

Empire Today response

Jacquelene, we take your concerns very seriously and we sincerely apologize for your experience. We'll be in touch with you shortly to discuss your experience.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I had two issues with Empire. Pricing issue - The representative gave me a price that was not the same when the installers came to complete the installation. When I spoke to the customer service rep he was rude and I had to speak to a supervisor to get the issue resolved. When the installers finished, they left the bedroom and closet doors uninstalled. They said they cannot fit. Now I am stuck getting this fixed. When the representative first came in he did not mention anything about this. This is not right to do to customers. Have I known this I would have not used you to start with. You refer to the contract that is 12 pages to say it was mentioned in the contract. You try to protect yourself vs. taking care of your customers. I know that I will never use you again and I will never refer you to anyone else. If there is a rating lower than 1 I would have selected it. 01/18/2019.

Empire Today response

Lamees, we regret to hear that your concerns have not been addressed. We'll be looking into your concerns and will be in touch with you shortly.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I've always had Empire Today. They've done a nice job and they were fast. I know they have to work with outside companies and I had some problems with that which was frustrating. I had the flooring done on three different occasions. One of them was great and the other one was saying something about the floorboards needed to be completely replaced. I sent in two other people and there was a huge difference, like a couple thousand dollars difference. So, I wasn't happy with that. The other time, I had hurt my back really bad and I had to run to the chiropractor. The contractor called me and said he was done and he wanted me to get home. But when I got there, he hadn't cleaned anything up. So, I was irritated. There were other problems but Shane, the sales guy, followed through on stuff, more than he was required to. He made sure that I was happy. I really like him. I wanted to finish the rest of my house and I'd get Empire Today again.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

If I could give 0 stars I would. They are real great during their "sales pitch"- promising licensed/bonded installers, quality work, professionalism... We spent $7000 on laminate and about another $5000 on carpet- which is a lot of money! But again, we thought we were paying for quality. The install occurs- a requested change I put in was not made in time though I was told it would, and was also told we had room in our approval to make that change without any out of pocket costs. I had to spend hours back and forth getting it corrected. It took 2 more days for the installer to obtain the product after he complained he had to keep driving down to San Diego for nothing to try and obtain it.

Install begins, halfway through the first day, he leaves to go collect some money that is owed to him, leaves his apprentice behind who is not experienced so he spends some time trying to rip out the carpet, and some of the time sitting on our $2000 couch. Needless to say, the laminate took days longer than we were told it would, our thresholds squeak like they are 50 years old, the surrounding area around our fireplace seems to have to padding and if you step on it, you sink down.

This also concerns me because our dog door is right there and it has been pouring rain. Our carpet crew was timely, quick and very professional. But what gets me is when you are promised a licensed person to come in your home and the installer flat out admits he is not licensed, to me that should be illegal!!! This company is crooked. I highly advise you to go somewhere else and actually end up happy been the thousands of dollars you spend... I called 3 days ago to complain about our floor sinking and was promised a call back within 24 hrs by a manager, no call. So we will raise hell so everyone knows to keep shopping.

Empire Today response

Ashley, this is not the experience that we wish for our customers and we sincerely apologize. We'll be in touch with you shortly to learn more, thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Empire Today?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Salesman did not know the scope of work and said it would be no problem to install the "luxury" vinyl plank throughout our home. Two independent contractor installers did not want to do the job. One installer made a 3-4" cut in my carpeting for some reason. It has not been repaired. So far we have only received a partial refund. We were looking forward to an update in our home. Had to cancel the entire job.

Empire Today response

Vicki, we sincerely apologize for your experience, and understand that your orders were cancelled. If you continue to have questions and/or concerns please contact us.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

My entire home flooring was done by Empire Today. Total cost over $12,000.00. I love my carpet and new tile. When the installers of the tile were ripping up my old tile, They did not seal the rooms well enough and the temperature outside in Florida was hot, so I had the A/C on. Needless to say, there was a ton of dust all over my home. I was very upset over this and I told the installers that if I had know it was going to be this bad, I would never have had the new tile installed.

I contacted the sales person Jennifer and she assured and promised me that Empire would pay for the cleaning of my home and she even cleared it through her manager. She asked me how much I thought it would cost to clean my home and I said around $300.00. She said go ahead and have it cleaned and submit the invoice to her via email and she would send it on to have Empire pay for the cleaning. I had my home professionally cleaned for $300.00 months ago and submitted the paid invoice only to be told by Empire that they were not going to pay it.

I also had to have my A/C ducts professionally cleaned at a cost of $600.00 because the dust was so thick in my duct work. My 95 year old dad lives with me and before I had all of this cleaning done, he and I were sneezing and coughing all of the time. I will not recommend Empire Today to any of my friends and I am sorry that I trusted them. I can not believe that I spent over $12,000.00 with them on flooring and they would not pay $300.00 for house cleaning. Live and learn. I will be suing them in small claims court over this matter. It is not about the money, it is about lying to me.

Empire Today response

David, we sincerely apologize for your experience and we'll be further reviewing your concerns, thank you.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Purchased LVP flooring from Empire Today less than 5 months ago. After installation the flooring was making a smacking noise when walked on certain areas. Upon contacting the installer they eventually came out and redid the floor. Myself and the installer noticed when they pulled up the LVP there were many many areas where these same installers did not properly lay the floating material during the original installation thus causing the LVP to make the smacking noise when you walk on certain areas.

Unfortunately after the installers redid the floor most of the original areas were fixed, but NEW areas making the smacking noise surfaced. Upon contacting the installer he came out and basically said there was nothing else he could do and that I would need to contact Empire Today. After contacting Empire Today they sent the installer out again who reiterated what he previously told us, however at this point he indicated the installation manager would be in contact with us.

Well the installation manager T ** came to our home checked the floor with his leveler and indicated the floor was level and within INDUSTRY STANDARDS and there was nothing Empire Today could do except send a 3rd party associate to check the floor and this 3rd party associate would basically conclude the same as what T ** had already informed us. ** did offer to have new installers come out (at the cost of Empire Today) and touch up the areas making the noise but also indicated we would have to sign off as satisfied the same day even though we would not have time to check the floor to confirm actual satisfaction. Meaning we would not have an opportunity to verify the previous issues were fixed and that no new issues are present.

** informed us if new issues arose as a result of the 2nd redo it would be a lengthy process for us to have those areas fixed by Empire Today because the floor is leveled based on industry standard and because he did not hear or see these issues when present in our home (after all of our furniture had been moved out for the redo it was difficult to point out all the noise issues). Our complaint HAS NEVER BEEN that the floor was not leveled but that the floating material underneath was not properly or professionally laid under the LVP once again, especially since new issues arose after the first redo.

** tried to indicate the noise was the result of the floor shifting because it is not glued down. 1) We were told gluing the LVP would void the LVP manufacturers warranty. 2) We were NEVER informed the floor would make noise due to poor installation of the floating material. The noise was not due to shifting as it was discovered within the first 1-2 days after install upon which we immediately contacted Empire Today within the week. We waited over month before having the installers come out to ensure the noise would not change after acclimating to our home and environment.

Please beware of this company while there is a warranty on the workmanship the warranty has a major loophole. Empire does not care if the customer is satisfied, they only care about installed within industry standards. There are numerous other issues wherein I would have expected better from trained professional installers. After having installers to our home 4 times we only received 1 redo, because there are no major dips in our floor but if there is noise where the professional installers did a poor job laying the floating material you will have to accept it after the first redo because additional redos are nearly impossible as long as there are no noticeable dips in your floor. And any redos after that could potentially result in the same shoddy work and you may have to jump through hurdles to get Empire Today to redo your floor a 3rd time.

I will never purchase from nor recommend Empire Today to anyone as it is my belief they have deceptive business practices and use industry loopholes to take advantage of consumers. Nowhere in the contract was it mentioned the floor would make these sounds. Nowhere in the contract did it state the floor would not be completed to customer satisfaction but based on industry standard. We spent over 5k to live the next 15 yrs with floors that make noise due to poor installation or we could pay another 5k to have another company come out and redo the flooring and cross our fingers that they have more professional less rushed installers than Empire Today, this is not acceptable.

I would greatly like to return this product and receive a refund but ** basically informed us that Empire Today would rather drag you through court for years rather than refund your money— according to ** there is basically too much work from past hurricanes for Empire and their installers to spend too much time redoing any home to customers actual satisfaction.

Empire Today response

Tammie, thank you for making us aware of your concerns. We apologize for your experience, and we'll be in touch with you shortly to make things right.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Don’t make the same mistake I did by choosing Empire Today for carpet. It starts with the sales representative who will lie and tell you everything you want to hear. After purchasing carpet, the company stood me up and didn’t show up to install my carpet the first time. Left my wife sitting at the house for 2 hours before calling me telling me they weren’t showing up. Second time to install carpet the installers showed up started taking up my carpet & pad. 2 hours into job the installers call me to tell me there’s a large cut in the new carpet and they can’t install it. So now it’s been 2 weeks before getting more carpet to install and I’ve had to take 3 days off from work to get one installation of carpet. Lost money and time from work, this company gave me a lousy $100 discount that I have never seen. Do Not Buy from these folks, terrible service and customer service should be fired.

Empire Today response

Bob, we know your time is valuable and we apologize for the delay. We've located your order, and we'll be in touch with you shortly.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

The flooring from Empire Today comes in a roll and it looks like wood, but it's not. It was installed in one bedroom and a bathroom. But, I was supposed to have two bedrooms done. After the carpeting was taken off in the other bedroom and the installers saw the 8 x 8 tiles, they wouldn't touch it. It was the one floor that really needed to be done. And I just wanted them to put the new flooring over it, but they said they couldn't do it because it could be asbestos. Those guys were really nice, but they didn't know anything. Also, I can't find anybody that can tell me whether it's asbestos or not so that I can get that bedroom done. Other than that, I'm not having any issues with the new flooring.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I had Empire Today install carpet in our family room. I liked the color of the carpet and I was impressed that they had next day service. I checked with Home Depot and theirs was two weeks until they ordered the thing, which was something that I didn't need to do at my age. Empire Today came quickly and installed the carpet. They are a good company to use and I was very satisfied with my experience with them. I would use them again.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I used Empire Today three or four years ago, and back in April, I had them install some carpet in all the three bedrooms of our home. The installation went very well and I love the carpet. I would recommend Empire Today.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

We had to have our guest bathroom floor replaced. We had original tile from when the house was built. We decided to go with Empire and have them install vinyl. Installation day came and went without incident. About a month later we noticed the edge of one on the vinyl tiles was lifting. This led to two tiles lifting. After finally getting in contact with someone from Empire, a repair was scheduled. I took a day off of work to wait for the repair as we were given a time frame of between 8 am and 6 pm. At 4:00 pm I was still waiting as no one had called. I left several messages and sent emails as well.

No one ever showed up. I finally was able to contact someone and they were able to see that we were scheduled, but not sure why the repair/installer never showed. Rescheduled for next day. Next day comes, repair guy shows up, lifts edge of tile and simply states whole floor needs to be replaced. Someone will call me. No call received. I, again, had to initiate communication to get repair done. Second repair guy comes out, is much more knowledgeable, but was unable to complete job because he was only given enough for repair, not whole floor replacement. So now I am waiting for yet another call to reschedule a full floor replacement. Let’s hope 3rd time's a charm, not holding my breath. This has been going on for 3 months.

Empire Today response

Hara, we want every customer to be satisfied, and we're not happy that you've had a bad experience. We've located your account information, and we'll be contacting you shortly to discuss your concerns.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I hired Empire to do a vinyl install. The contractors they sent out a month later did a horrible job. Not only did they go over the time of the install by almost 2 hours (I have HOA rules no construction after 5), they left all their mess. I came home to shards all over my floors, nails, fragments, etc. all while holding my crawling baby and dog by myself. The dog ended up with bloody paws, my baby was cut on his hands and feet while I was rushing around trying to vacuum up the mess. The installers just watched and offered to help. They then had the audacity to ask for a tip before they left. I was so busy cleaning up the mess and tending to my family I didn't have time to go over the completed work before the installers abruptly left after I refused to tip them.

As soon as baby and dog were settled I realized they had done a horrendous job. They left baseboards missing, nails were shooting up from the carpet to vinyl transition and none of the transition pieces were installed correctly, were coming up, vinyl wasn't cut straight and was very noticeably crooked and pieces of baseboard and transitions weren't cut to size. Gaps were left between my doorway showing that not only did they not put down underlayment but leaving a 3 cm gap exposed from my front entryway.

I called immediately and talk to a manager and someone named Anita called the next day saying she was shocked and that she had multiple complaints about the installers they had sent out to my home and was going to let them go. She was extremely apathetic and set up someone to come out to do the repairs within a few days.

Well, weeks went by and not a word. More calls to the direct line of Anita to no avail. Meanwhile multiple injuries had been happening in my household due to the dangerous install. I eventually went over Anita's head to complain and amazingly she got back to me within 24 hours. She set up a crew to come within a few days to do the work. Guess what? They cancelled. This happened a couple more times, then once again going over Anita's head to get a response she sent another crew who did show up and once they saw how much work had to be done to fix they didn't want to do so they flaked on me twice. Finally, I got their head repair contractor Sebastion to come out. He was shocked at how bad they left my home and for how long and his team did the repairs. This took over a month.

Anita, had promised me due compensation (Empire initially offered me $100 which was not fair compensation for my ordeal) once Sebastion and his team had completed the work (I have this conversation recorded by the way because of how my experience had been with hours on the phone trying to get help). It has been over 2 months of dozens of calls to Anita with messages and she has not gotten back to me. I am about to sue for breach of contract and liability. I don't understand how Empire Carpets is still in business when I have searched reviews from them and have had read dozens of similar stores. I'm wondering if a class action could be formed at this point? There must be thousands of customers that have been taken advantaged of and injured in the process.

Empire Today response

Sharlyne, thank you for making us aware of this matter. We'll be in touch with you shortly to learn more.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

The price that Empire Today gave me was lower than the other companies and I had them install carpet in three bedrooms, the hallway and the living room. I used three different colors and it took the installers between five to six hours. They did a good job and what they did was excellent.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I learned my lesson well, and I will not use Empire today in the future, because when I needed a small repair (small 1 inch patched), and because they are not here locally, they told me it was going to cost $250. So not a happy customer.

Empire Today response

Clair, we're disappointed to hear that you were unsatisfied with your experience. We'll be in touch with you shortly to discuss your concerns.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Empire Today got the carpet done in the living room hallway, carpet in the main bedroom, tile in the master bath, tile in the small bath, linoleum in the kitchen and hardwood floor in our den. All in all, they did six of our rooms but we’re having trouble with the living room. The backing is coming away from the carpet and it’s making it tear. It looks like it had a seam. We’ve been calling them for two months now and they've sent somebody out twice. The last guy was here on Thursday and he said that he’d have to do the whole hallway again. He said that they’d get in touch with us but nobody has ever gotten in touch with us. We never had any trouble with Empire until now. In fact, we even referred my sister to get it and they got it in their room. I’d recommend them again if they call us back about our carpet.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have Empire carpeting installed throughout my condo which we purchased in 2016. Due to some wear by the previous owners, I had Empire come out in 2016 to replace the carpeting in the master bedroom and on one set of stairs (15 stairs) from the front door up to the living room. Fast forward two years later... The carpeting in the master bedroom is buckling in a few places, and the carpeting on the stairs is separating on each stair since it was apparently installed in two pieces on each step.

I called Empire Customer Service and they sent out 2 carpet installation inspectors to assess the issue. They both told me that the replaced carpeting was not installed properly in 2016... It was not stretched adequately, the edges of the carpeting are coming up, the carpeting on the stairs should not have been installed in two pieces, and the patterned carpeting was not aligned properly with the door seam in the master bedroom and the hallway. The inspectors TOLD me this, they were very professional, and also spent about 45 minutes on the phone with somebody at Empire while they were here. That was on January 3, 2019. It is now January 9, 2019 and I have heard NOTHING back from Empire.

It cost me $95 to have the inspectors come out (and interestingly enough the check was cashed that same day). I have called Customer Service repeatedly without any feedback as to what Empire is going to do to resolve this. Today the Customer Representative told me that she had no record of the Inspector's findings and will have to reach out to the Installation Department for their decision on how to move forward. I am beyond frustrated and disappointed with Empire's total lack of organization and accountability.

Empire Today response

Diane, we're sorry to hear that your carpet installation is not meeting your expectations. We've located your order, and we'll be in touch with you shortly.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Last June we had laminate and carpet installed in our home. The laminate installation crew were awesome and our floors look beautiful. The carpet installation crew was another story. Walls in one of our bedrooms were damaged in 5 different areas from the carpet installers. Called Empire and sent them pictures and they gave us a credit of a $150 to fix the wall. They did not bring our baseboards which we ordered for the whole house so another crew had to come out to install them on another day. These guys left stickers just thrown around the rooms from the baseboards they had peeled off. Very unprofessional.

We were not happy how the carpet was installed in our bedroom and someone came out to inspect the situation. He ended up just tearing up half of the room of carpet and not even removing the baseboards or threshold strips. He put foam padding over the uneven floor and just tucked the carpet back under the baseboards and threshold strips. We thought in time the foam padding would flatten out a little but it did not. Feels like a bunch of lumps under the carpet. Not happy at all.

Our salesman originally told us if for any reason we are not happy with our carpets they will come and replace them And the manufacturer Mohawk would pay us. This is how highly he praised the carpet. Well called Empire and expressed our concerns and wanted to have the carpet removed and replaced with laminate to match what we currently have in our home. We were told that there is no such warranty and it would cost us over $2000. Just a reminder to anyone getting anything from Empire, GET IT IN WRITING... Very sad to learn this after all the money we paid to have this done. They did not even honor anything we were told by this salesman. Done doing business with them and will definitely spread the word.

Empire Today response

Pamela, we regret to hear that your carpet installation is not meeting your expectations. We've located your account, and we'll be following up with you shortly.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Based on their reputation, I got Empire Today's services over other companies. I had them put down a lot of beige rugs in our living room and bedroom as well as in my business. Their installers did their job and were neat. The rugs are good and I like them. I'd recommend Empire Today.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I contacted Empire Today in order to receive a FREE estimate. To most, this means they will leave you with a quote (whether written or emailed) on company letterhead. An estimate should include pricing, breakdown of cost and an expiration date. The first salesman told me he could not leave a price without a downpayment. Stated this was "Company policy". After numerous phone calls and complaints, they agreed that this is NOT company policy and that they could absolutely provide a quote in writing.

So, they sent a second salesman. He came in and offered to send me a 'screenshot' of pricing (which doesn't even list who the quote is from). This is appalling! I will never do business with a company that falsely advertises and refuses to leave an estimate. What a scam. Any reputable company would never have an issue with leaving a quote in writing for you to compare prices and options. I will be contacting the BBB as well, but wanted to share this information. Complete false advertising and ridiculous customer treatment and service. I will be sure to tell everyone I know about my experience with this company.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Back in February, I had purchased carpet for my entire house. I used half cash and took advantage of the zero % interest for a year. Because we were happy with the service we decided to have Empire come out again in April to carpet our basement that we just finished. Then my mother-in-law bought a new house in August and my husband had Empire come out to her house and install new carpet as well. She had opened a Credit Card as well.

In October when I went to make my CC payment, I noticed a charge on there in the amount of 3,000.00! So when I called I was bounced around several times and finally connected to someone who had some answers for me. He had told me that for some reason the sales rep had (Linked) attached my Mother in law's account to mine? So they added her balance to my loan??? Not even sure how that happened when I do not even have the same last name as my MIL not to mention we do not live in the same house or have the same SOCIAL SECURITY #!!

I was told that they would take care of this asap and to give them a week. I logged back into my account a week later and the 3,000 balance was still there! So I had to call again and explain the WHOLE thing all over again to another customer service rep. This time I was told that they would rush my request to fix the issue and even gave me a name and # to another person who would handle it from there. I called a person name Joellen and left her a voicemail. She called me back a week later and said that she would personally take care of my issue.

A week later my balance went back to where it should have been, but my monthly payment is still where it was at when my balance was over 5K! I called Joellen again and left another message and called her manager as well to only be ignored! I called the 800 # again and demanded to speak to a manager and I was connected with a Mandy who then told me that I need to take this up with Wells Fargo and not Empire. I told her that she was wrong and that this was a MERCHANT issue and I wanted it fixed asap. Here we are now in JANUARY and my issue is still not resolved. I have taken time out of my day while I am at work and this has affected my credit score. Their customer service is HORRIBLE and I will NEVER use Empire again not to mention I will never refer business to them.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Horrible!!! They cancelled on me 4 times. Yes, four times, and then they issued partial refund to me. Yes, you are reading this right, partial refund. I lost 2 days of work and 2 days of holidays and they did not care about that. I have never seen a company that treats potential consumers this way. Just horrible. I figured that there are local carpet companies who treat you much better, are cheaper, and do the work better.

Empire Today response

Florent, we understand your frustration and sincerely apologize for your experience. Your satisfaction is important to us, and we understand that we've spoken to you in regards to this matter. We'll continue to review your concerns, thank you.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I've used Empire Today before in other buildings and they usually do a half decent job. A year ago, I got the wood floor and had them put it in my kitchen and dining room floor. I’m not happy because it was down only for a few months. I called them back because I noticed there was buckling in one area in the dining room. They sent somebody out there and this guy was trying to tell me that it was water damage. I said that it would have been all over the floor and not just one spot. He said that was what he was gonna recommend. When I called Empire to talk about it, they told me that he was their expert and that if I wanted another opinion, I would have to pay for it and have them come and write something up. In case it was something different, then they would still have to take it into consideration and decide whether or not they would fix it.

I had another floor put in. I had the kitchen and bathroom done with vinyl. The bathroom floor was buckling up and although it was not super bad, it was bad enough to notice. The contractor who put in my walk-in tub said that the reps from Empire put it too tight which was why it was going up. When we mentioned it to them, they said that their rep said that it was water damage. I asked them why he didn’t pull off the baseboard and why he didn’t look and see how tight the floor was put down. Also, there was a corner in the kitchen that my brother noticed as spongy. I saw it was bad underlaying and they didn’t replace it when they put the floor in. So, when I called them, they came out and pulled all that up. They put new underlaying in and did it the right way. However, they wouldn’t do anything for the dining room floor.

Empire Today response

Christine, thank you for making us aware of your concerns. We'll be in touch with you shortly to learn more.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Vinyl floor was to be installed in my basement. My concerns, 85 yr old home, asbestos tiles, new sewer line recently installed. I was assured by salesman, Sam, no problem. Day of install, I was called and asked if anyone had been in touch with me... No one had. Trey advised me, based on pictures, that vinyl probably would not work. They sent out Charlie who concurred, and told me Empire's objective was to have me "sign off" releasing them from obligation when the vinyl would most certainly start coming up, creating a situation underneath like "potato chips".

I called Trey back, distraught, who then offered to come by and assess. He said carpet was the only option. I was very reluctant. This is a basement, but I was desperate, as party was in a couple days. New salesman came out, tried to be helpful, in fairness, and gave me the rules on distance from furnace, hot water heater, etc. Next day, install, 2 guys arrived. 1 polite and quiet, the other bullying and rude, asking me what he was supposed to do. I broke down. It is not my job to tell him the specs and parameters, as I do not know the rules and guidelines. Very long story short, he refused to install, my family Christmas party had to be cancelled, they still have my 2000$, and all the food I bought is going to waste. DO NOT DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY.

Empire Today response

Linnae, this is not the experience that we wish for our customers and we apologize for the experience. We'll be following up with you shortly to discuss your concerns, thank you.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I recently had Empire install vinyl flooring for me. I have decided to go with someone else for carpet. The installation looks like I did. The reason I hired someone was so it would look like a professional installation. When the other company came for my estimate they noticed the new flooring, they did not laugh but were somewhat appalled at the job and installation techniques. Explained how they would have done it and I believe it would have come out much nicer. That being said I am sure it would have cost more but I was hoping for something that look nice.

Biggest complaint was the use of 1/4 round that did not match molding. Salesman assured me it would look nice when finished. NOT!!! During the quote I was rushed because he was late for another appointment, That should have been my sigh. I wish I had taken more time and gotten more estimates so that's on me. Will not use them again, might pay a little more but probably worth it. Just to let everyone know never had them install carpet, maybe they do a better job with that.

Empire Today response

Allen, thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We'll be in touch with you shortly to discuss your concerns and start working on a resolution, thank you.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

The sales rep came on time. I picked the carpet. They sent the wrong color. The men that came to install agreed it was wrong. I got a report number with promises of a call back that day. No call. Called again. No call next day. Called later finally got someone. He insisted it was the right color. Gave a ton of excuses. Even had the nerve to say, "It would look different when you see whole roll as opposed to a piece." It’s not paint. It doesn’t dry darker. I was on a time crunch.

I then had to wait 2 days for them to come back. New men came. Wrong color. Same one as first time as if I’m color blind. They agreed it wasn’t the same color. Now I’m forced to postpone a trip. The in charge person they had me speak with had the nerve to say he showed it to people at Empire and they say it’s the same. He is totally difficult to deal with. Not an apology. I sent pictures side by side where you can clearly see the difference and yet he insisted it’s the same. I sent the same picture to people and they all said it’s not the same, just in case. I never ever have I dealt with such an arrogant person. I used Empire before with no problems that’s why I called again. The females that answer in customer service are extremely kind. I cannot believe what a nightmare this has turned into.

Empire Today response

Roseann, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. We'll be following up with you shortly to discuss your concerns.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Do not give this company money. They will not let you out of a contract, even if they tell you they will. I was given 3 days to cancel for full refund of my deposit. They kept extending my cancellation date to give me more time to decide. I decided not to use them. When I called to request my deposit be returned, they refused. The customer service representative lied over and over and over again.

Empire Today response

Shana, we're disappointed to hear this! We'll be looking into your concerns, thank you.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I had laminated hardwood flooring installed everywhere there was carpet on the first floor and the second floor. I purchased from Empire Today since it is a known company. I felt more inclined to use them. Plus they've been around for a long time so I trusted the brand. They have very good customer service too. They were very professional, informative and quick. They came out one day and after the next, in that same week, my floors were done.

The product I got was cheaper than the real hardwood floor. But because it's dark, everything shows up, like animal hair. What I don't like about it also is that it's not as durable as I thought it would be. There's already a chip on one of the panels and that happened a week after I had them. My two-year old just dropped her cup on the floor and it chipped it. I have a warranty though so I need to call them and have them replace that floorboard. On the other hand, what I like about the floor is that it is easy to clean.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

When the carpet installers showed up 3 hours late, we should have known things would not go well. We are in need of a minor repair (saddle replacement) which should be covered under warranty and take about 10 minutes max. Called customer service to have repair done and scheduled a date. The installer never showed (not surprised). I have been calling customer service for the last 5 days, no resolution. Customer service seems to be nice but all they do is transfer the call to some voicemail that nobody checks. After leaving over 10 voicemails, still no response. Very frustrating, unprofessional is an understatement!

Empire Today response

Sincere, we sincerely apologize for the missed appointment, and completely understand your frustration. We'll be in touch with you shortly to learn more.

Empire Today expert review by Joseph Truini

The year 1959 saw the founding of Empire Today in Chicago. Since then, the business has grown into a true empire with locations in the majority of U.S. states.

• Products: Empire Today offers carpet, hardwood, laminate, resilient vinyl, tile, even window blinds and shades. Free-in-home estimates are available.

• Financing: Empire Today and Wells Fargo Bank offer financing, including an interest-free option, that charges no interest for 12 months. Another option gives you a 48-month payoff time frame at 9.99 percent interest rate.

• Warranties: Empire Today warranties run a lifetime in some cases, with a still-respectable 30 years in several other cases.

• Outdoor carpeting: Empire sells carpeting for porches, patios and decks. Their short pile height helps keep crushes and dents from forming.

• Installation: Installations are performed by independent contractors who work with Empire Today. Options include next-day installation and half-price deals.

• Best for: Luxury shoppers, budget seekers and people with pets and kids stand to find what they need from Empire Today.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Empire Today Company Information