Call toll free
3.80/5
Based on 1,852 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1959, Empire Today® has provided Carpet, Hardwood, Laminate, Vinyl, Tile Flooring, and Window Treatments to over 2 million satisfied customers. Offering quality, name-brand products, Empire Today can help you find the product you want, within your budget. Empire brings hundreds of samples to your doorstep. During your free estimate, an experienced Sales Representative will help you choose a floor, take room measurements, and provide an all-inclusive price estimate. And, there’s no need to wait weeks - professional installers can install in-stock styles as soon as the next day. Offering competitive low prices and comprehensive warranties, Empire Today is committed to ensuring your Carpet and Flooring installation experience is top notch and handled by qualified and experienced contractors.

2016 American Business Awards:

The Stevies Company of the Year - Consumer Products - Bronze Winner

The Stevies Company of the Year - Customer Service Department of the Year - Consumer Products - Bronze Winner

Empire Today Video
Empire Today Gallery (5)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

5505 Empire Today Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 13, 2018

We were to have numerous types of flooring removed and carpet installed Thursday July 12, 2018. When the gentlemen showed around 2:30 they said they would not do everything as they didn’t show removing certain flooring (our paperwork showed everything) but they could do some but we would have to pay in full showing the work was completed.

Customer service kept saying paperwork didn’t show certain flooring being taken out. Again my paperwork clearly shows it to be done. Can never get through to customer service Tampa office no matter what extension you try. I planned my carpet install around my moving furniture. I get a call Friday July 12th saying someone will be there this morning to remove ceramic tile. Called customer service at 12:30 and they robotically said between 8-6 (even though I got a call saying this morning). Even the salesperson is unable to help us get this resolved. Still dealing with such an incompetent company. No compassion or understanding or trying to make it right. They definitely would want to be treated this way.

Empire Today response

Marianne, we apologize for your experience and we'll be in touch with you soon.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 13, 2018

I purchased carpet a few weeks ago for my mother's home. We explained to the salesperson that it’s a high traffic area and the carpet has to be sturdy. We were assured it was and we were picking a great carpet. The salesperson was nice but the price was cheaper in Home Depot for the same exact carpet and the only reason we went with them is because they guaranteed fast delivery.

The install date came and the installers were also very nice but warned my mom that the carpet was very fragile and will pull. The carpet actually had pulls it in after they left... I called for someone to come look at it and the installer came back, cut the pulls with scissors and said it will happen again but just keep cutting... this is not acceptable to me. I paid over 1700 for carpet that is of poor quality and I have to cut it with scissors when it pulls? I have tried to get someone to call me back of authority. I do not want the installer back and have called 4 times. Every time the call center operator was polite and would escalate my complaint and it has been two weeks no call... it’s disgusting the way this company thinks it can treat its customers.

Empire Today response

Joyann, we regret to hear that your carpet is not meeting your expectations. We'll be in touch with you shortly to learn more.

Original review: July 12, 2018

Empire Today installed vinyl plank flooring in our living room, bedroom, kitchen and dining room. From their commercials, we heard that it was a good product and indeed the quality was good. The cost was a little high but it looked nice and durable.

Original review: July 12, 2018

We had a laminate flooring put in through the whole house by Empire Today. I actually had another person come in and their price was cheaper before going to Empire, but I didn't like how the rep explained it. But the Empire guys did an excellent job at explaining everything. I like the dark color and stain-resistance of the flooring. Nothing stains on it and I just have to use the Swiffer. But it shows a lot of dust especially in the summer with the windows open. The dust settles on it so we're sweeping every day.

The guy from Empire gave me a whole bunch of cards, so I gave my friends his card. He's an older gentleman and takes the time to explain stuff to us older people and I appreciate that. He didn't put everything at, "Well, you should go on a computer." We don't do a lot on computers, so he took the time to explain stuff. The installers came in at 10 o'clock in the morning and they were here until 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning. It was a long day but I expected that. On the second schedule, I was already at work and he came in with my husband. And he was already finished by the time I got home from work.

Original review: July 12, 2018

Empire Today used me for an asbestos removal and I used them in return to install the laminate, the linked and plank flooring in my front sun porch and my kitchen. Although the flooring looks very nice, I’m actually not impressed with the whole flooring. For some reason, they put the wrong trimmer on the outside of the flooring. The guys that put it in said that whoever loaded their truck from the shop didn’t load the right material so it has different color quarter rounds. There are different colors of them around my floors so it looks super stupid. They’re supposed to come back out to fix a couple of things, but it's been three weeks and they still haven’t come out to do it. Other than that, I’ve used Empire all the time and had them do other stuff and rentals for me. They’ve done a good job before and it was just this incident that I’m not real happy about and hopefully, they get it fixed up. Still, I’ll recommend Empire Today.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Empire Today?

Original review: July 11, 2018

Stay far away from this company. We had LVT tile (which I was not told is NOT tile but vinyl just with a fancy name) installed in November 2017 and by MAY 2018 it was lifting, and peeling away and several soft areas. I informed them that the sales rep should not have installed this material in my bathroom if it’s not safe or waterproof. When I finally spoke to someone in the San Diego branch (Gilbert) he said “who told you that?! That’s a lie. We install in bathrooms and kitchen all the time”... Ummm your website told me!!! It says it can barely get wet?! Ummm. How do you keep kitchen and bathroom with showers and tubs and kids safe from splash? We had ceramic tile in there and the sales rep said we should match the rest of our rooms with this tile. Needless to say we were duped!!! It was a total upsell to make a sale and was very dishonest by Lynda **. Shame on you!

The communication is impossible. You call and they take 3 “business” days to return the call, then it’s a week or 2 to get someone out. Save yourself the headache and find someone local. This is like the McDonald’s of flooring with a Ruth’s Chris price tag. I didn’t even get to discuss what happened at installation but the 3rd party contractors had to go buy trim/border because they screwed up and didn’t measure before removing old carpets.

Empire Today response

Elaine, thank you for making us aware of this matter. We're sorry to hear that your floor is not meeting your expectations. We'll be in touch with you shortly to learn more.

Original review: July 11, 2018

We called a place that's like Angie’s List and they recommended Empire Today to us. We had the living room carpet installed by Empire and the cost and quality were really good. The carpet is also pet resistant. My purchasing experience with Empire was good.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I got a very good grade carpeting from Empire Today. They were very pleasing to show me different things and I selected the carpet. And when they were supposed to come, they came and did the installation within three hours. They did a good job and I had a very good experience.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I had Empire Today put carpeting on some stairs and everything went fine. I always buy from them because they come in, do the job in a hurry, and then you're done.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I have a friend that sells for Empire Today, but she's in the Bay Area and she suggested I call. I had a very good experience with Empire Today's salesperson and installer. They were a bit more expensive than others but with the discount I had gotten, it worked itself out. I had hardwood floors installed in my dining room, living room, and hall. It has met my expectations and I'm very pleased.

Original review: July 10, 2018

The rest of my house was hardwood so I wanted to continue with the same flooring throughout the house. Empire Today seemed to be the right brand from advertisement to credibility so I went with them. They installed hardwood in the bedroom and went beyond my expectations. The installers were very efficient and they did a great job. Ever since they were done, everything's been fine.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I have a small house and I needed laminate flooring from the front door to the back door. Empire Today’s price was reasonable and I had a professional experience with them. They satisfied the task that I had at hand as far as installing the floor and leaving my need for a new-looking floor. I’m enjoying the floor now. I had a great experience with Empire Today and I’m looking forward to doing some future work.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I love hardwood and we had hardwood flooring installed in two bedrooms and a little library room. The flooring was very nice and put in very professionally. The workers were kind, considerate, and professional and working with Empire was a good experience. I would use them again should the need arise, which may be in the next few months.

Original review: July 9, 2018

My wife and I wanted to have hardwood flooring installed in our dining room and master bedroom. We scheduled an appointment with Empire. The sales rep arrived late, but quickly got down to business. The first cost estimate was for $10,500, which alarmed me. I said it was outside my budget. The sales rep asked what my budget was and I said $6,500. She quickly said "Well you are in luck... We can do it for $6,300." I felt ripped off after that, but felt it was a good price based on my research. The sales rep told me the install would take one day, and was scheduled for a Friday. I later received an email saying the team would arrive between 0800-1600.

The morning of the install I received a phone call at 0810 from an automated service saying the install team would arrive between 0915-1015. I figured I had time to drop my daughter off at swim team practice which was just a 5 minute round trip. As I was about to leave at 0815, I get a knock at the door. The install team arrived. The individual at the door said his team didn't show up this morning, so it was just him. He would not be able to finish the job in one and would need to reschedule or add another day (Saturday or Monday). This frustrated me because I already took a day off work to be here for the install and I had plans on Saturday and Monday. I felt like I had no choice at this point, so allowed him to start the work today and said to plan for Saturday to finish it.

I then called Empire customer service. I was on hold for over an hour. At 0930 I spoke with a human about the situation. They said they would contact the install manager and the install manager would get back to me in 20 minutes. At 1230 I called customer service again. I was on hold for an hour. They apologized, and said they would contact the install manager, and the install manager would contact me before the end of the day. At 4:30 I called customer service and was on hold for 45 minutes. They apologized, and said they left messages for the install manager to call me as soon as possible. I didn't hear from anyone the rest of the day.

The next day the installer arrived at 0815 and continued work. I called Empire customer service. After being on hold for 30 minutes, the service desk said the install manager doesn't work on weekends, and would call me within 1 business day. Since I called on a Friday, the next business day would be Tuesday. As of today, Monday, 10 days after the initial call, I haven't heard at all from Empire. I filled out the customer survey saying I was dissatisfied and indicated I wanted to speak with someone from Empire about my experience. Still haven't heard back.

The installer did a GREAT job on the install. The floor looks fantastic, and I'm very happy with the professionalism of the installer. However I am completely dissatisfied and disappointed with the overall experience from Empire and the poor customer service. They claim to strive for World Class customer support. They fall way short.

Empire Today response

John, we regret to hear about your experience, and we'll be further reviewing your concerns.

Original review: July 9, 2018

On May 15th, 2018, two installers arrived at my home to install vinyl tile in my kitchen and hallway bathroom. As the work was being done I asked one of the installers should my flooring have what appeared to be spots - color defects in it. His response, "Yes this is the way it should look." I did not think it should look this way. After the installers left I really looked at the tile and noticed how poorly it looked. The tile look nothing like I expected. It has a dull look - with spots -discoloration throughout! I tried to clean by wiping the spots with water then cleaning with Bona Tile cleaner but nothing changed. I have called Empire weekly - talking to customer service resulting in no assistance with my flooring.

Each time I was told the representative was sending an email to someone who would contact me within 24-48 hours to discuss my complaint which never happened. I was so frustrated I called the salesperson who I met with initially and was told Empire has had several complaints recently about the flooring. I was encouraged to contact Biana ** I called Biana ** and she was no help either. My last conversation with her was Empire can come to install Laminate Flooring that I requested as a correction but it will be at an additional cost to me! I could not believe what I was hearing. Empire already charging me 2400.00 for flooring that clearly has defects in it and if I want it corrected I must pay more money. I am not happy at all. I am receiving no assistance from Empire. I refuse to pay for it. I am so disappointed. Every day I am looking at a mess on my floors. I will never use or suggest Empire again!

Updated on 07/10/2018: Today 7-10-18, I received a phone call from Empire Representative Tanzanine **. She indicated she wanted to discuss my concerns involving the tile recently installed in my kitchen and bathroom. I explained once again my concerns. Once again I was informed Laminate flooring can be installed but at a Discount Price to me. So again I am being told if I want something different installed I am going to have to pay more money. This is not something I am willing to do or think I should have to do. I have to pay more money to correct a problem that is clearly an Empire Today problem. I was informed again that what I am seeing is what the tile should look like. I do not agree! Again my issue is not being resolved. Consumers beware of Empire Today. I will never use them again. Again I am not satisfied with the outcome of my phone contact today!

Empire Today response

Kay, we regret to hear that you're not satisfied. We'll be in touch with you soon.

Original review: July 9, 2018

Don't buy these overpriced blinds. The paperwork I signed said lifetime warranty. I got blinds in 2010. I called in November 2017. Diane at customer care told me they were covered for life. She sent someone out in December to make the repairs. They did a ** job fixing them. What I mean by that is they just repaired 2 of the 3 strings. I called back in January 2018 the 3rd string broke. I was told the guy who would repair them quit and they were hoping to have someone start in March. Then I would be on top of the list to get fixed. I called back in June and was told I needed to open a new claim. I get another call back from Diane and now being told it will cost me $65 because they now use a third party to do the repairs. I wasn't happy with that so she sent it to the office. They now say they are only covered for 7 years and now I'm out of warranty. Empire you not only lost my personal business but you also lost my commercial business account.

Empire Today response

James, we're sorry to hear that your window treatments are not meeting your expectations. We'll be in touch with you shortly to learn more.

Original review: July 9, 2018

This is the worst customer service experience I have ever encountered and I will never use Empire again (having used them twice before with satisfaction.) Ordered $14K of new flooring -vinyl plank and carpet for entire rental property. Was told it would be installed on Friday (hard plank) and Saturday (carpet). The installers arrived on Friday and worked for 10 hours - looks great however, they were missing the connecting “cove” so there is a gap between flooring and kitchen cabinets. He told me to call the 800 # to handle getting it finished. On Saturday carpet guys arrive to do half the job as they say it is too much for one day (although my salesman assured me it would take one day.)

Installer tells me he will return on Monday morning to complete. He does not. I call him and he tells me I have to call 800 #. After waiting for 46 minutes on hold for a customer service rep, I am told they are unsure when they can finish. I have already had to postpone renters for a day and now it will be more. So I lose that income ($850) and no one will get back to me. My only resource is an 800 number. I will never use them again! The customer service is atrocious and the “next day” installation is a lie! For the considerable cost and purchase, I would have expected at least a human contact person who could handle my issues not an incompetent 800 number system that I must continually call and still has not solved my rather large problem!

Empire Today response

Becky, your concerns are important to us. We'll be in touch with you shortly to learn more.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I have linoleum flooring from Empire Today installed in our kitchen and family room and so far, it looks nice. I like the texture of the linoleum but I made a mistake with the color. I got the darker one and I needed the lighter color. The floor used to be white and I tried dark this time but it doesn’t look good in there as it darkened the kitchen. Still, Empire Today did a good job.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I kept seeing commercials and I figured that Empire Today is a good reputable company. We love the new carpets they installed in our living room and hallway! It's nice, thick and plush, and it has a very nice padding underneath. When you walk on it, it’s like your feet sink down into it.

Original review: July 9, 2018

We sold our house and we had it carpeted with Empire and they were great. I shopped around and got the best price for the best product from them. I also liked the carpet's color. The installation was very easy and it was done in a day. If I'll have my carpet replaced where I'm currently living, I'll consult Empire Today again.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I got some custom wood blinds through Empire Today for all the rooms of my apartment. I needed something quickly and they came out and showed me the options. I waived the cost and decided to pull the trigger. The salesperson and the installer were both very pleasant and answered all the questions that I had. Both of them did a very good job. The installer put up with me asking multiple times for as many discounts as he could give me and he gave me what I think everything that was available. I feel like I got a good deal. The experience was quick and easy. And I love them.

Original review: July 8, 2018

I used Empire Today a few years ago. This time, I had them install laminated flooring in my family room and it went well. The new flooring is very nice and easy to clean. I am pleased with it. Empire Today is very good and I’m gonna use them again in one of the apartments. I would also recommend them.

Original review: July 8, 2018

I bought carpeting from Empire Today. I went with them because they have the best value and I like the convenience of having someone come to the house. I had the carpeting installed on our steps and so far, so good. It makes the steps less slippery and I like that the most.

Original review: July 8, 2018

We've used Empire Today and we really like the salesperson, Trent, so over the last three years, we continue to order from him. Recently, we had luxury vinyl planks installed in an office of ours and it went really well. Empire did a great job. I also like the floor’s color and texture. I refer Empire Today to other people.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Had install done poorly. Noticed worker not cutting carpet to fit on stairs well and saw him add pieces of carpet to cover mistakes. Installers did not come with ladder to reach outside stairs to second floor or vacuum to clean floors before install of new carpet and could not remove tile as promised by sales person before installation because they did not know how to do and no tool's to do job. I had to provide all these tools. Then after they left job I noticed stains from their shoes on new carpet on stairs but when I tried to get someone from Empire to come back they made no effort to call me back and kept giving excuses for not having someone to come and no time worked for them... etc. I will never recommend them to anyone and I will definitely tell all how bad they are to customers. I hate this company.

Empire Today response

Stephen, we're sorry to hear about your experience. We'll be in touch with you shortly to learn more.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I had carpeting installed by Empire Today in my family room and two bedrooms. The carpet has been here for eight years and I liked that they were multicolored and it blended in so I didn’t have to paint. The salesgirl did an excellent job and I was impressed with her. She was patient and called me on the phone. I felt comfortable and I called her back. She came back out again, brought me the sample again, and told me to hold on to it, put it down on the floor and see how I liked it. Then she offered me a little discount. She told me I could call the company and see if they would bargain with me and if they had any other specials. A week or two later, I called and asked if they could lower it another $100 and they said yes.

I was kind of surprised with the ones that came out to put it because they were two guys. One was an older gentleman and they were kinda petite. They were not big strong guys and I was fearful of them hurting themselves. But they did a good job. But I had some stripping put down on the old ones and they took those up and they put it down but they missed a couple of the tacks. I didn’t know because it blends in with the carpet where it was laying. I head on the house without slippers and I felt something on my foot and it was one of the little tacks that nail down the stripping. Then I went along the hallway and I felt a couple more. I told Empire that the stripping wasn’t put down solid and I’ve been finding some tacks.

I got the vacuum and cleaned out. But they said they’ll come out and have the guy tack it back down. I thought it was gonna be the same guy but it was someone different but he was nice. He came on the house and went through all over where the stripping was. And he felt it and made sure. I have picked up about four of them and he put them back. Also, I bought an electrical recliner and it had a shortage in it. It burnt my carpet and Empire is taking care of that. There was a little round spot about the size of a 50 cent. It didn’t do any damage but right there where the wire was touching. Other than that, I’ve recommended Empire. My neighbors asked and they know. They saw the truck and I told them I was really pleased. One of them was thinking about moving and they’re gonna try to fix the house up, put carpet, and try to sell it.

Original review: July 7, 2018

My daughter had some work done and she recommended that we use Empire Today to have our carpeting installed in the family room so we did. We picked the carpet for its durability and it was something in a neutral color. The installers brought some carpet out but it had a big hole in the center and they couldn’t use it so they took it away and brought another one back the next day which was beautiful and in good condition. The flooring installed looks good and we enjoy it.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I had to upgrade my flooring because of Hurricane Harvey. Three other companies came out and gave me bids but I chose to go with Empire Today because I like their warranty and products. Plus their guy came to us. I had some vinyl flooring and some carpets installed, with the vinyl flooring being installed in the kitchen, bathrooms and laundry room and the carpet being installed in the bedrooms and living room. The installation of the vinyl flooring was up and down because in the middle of that, we had an ice storm. The guy also said that the products for my house got in an accident coming from Dallas so they had to work around that.

Also, we had a dispute because they said I needed the 1/4-inch laminate, although I put down 1/2-inch on top of the old floor. And in the bathroom and the larger room, the guy didn’t use the 1/4-inch laminate. It was an experience trying to get that resolved because I kept getting the runaround. I talked to one person and he said he got to talk to another person so it was really a hassle on that. Even so, the flooring has met my expectations. The carpet went flawless and the installers were in and out in less than six hours.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Empire Today is more like Empire Someday. Horrible company. Signed a contract on 5/19 for new flooring with install to be done on 6/16. We were called that morning (a month later) and told material was not in. Rescheduled for today, 7/6/18, and got a call this morning at 8:30 and told material wasn't in yet. No one cared and no one could tell me where the material is and what happened. Took 4 hours to finally get contract cancelled. Awful experience. I'm better off going to a mom and pop place in a strip mall. At least they would care about their client.

Empire Today response

Mary, we regret to hear about your experience and understand that your order has been cancelled. If you continue to have questions and/or concerns please contact us at customersupport@empire-today.com.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Well had new carpet put in my family and dining room. Went to vacuum and the fibers rolled on my vacuum cleaner about 3 rolls. They are about a foot and a half away from the door. Paid too much for that to happen.

Empire Today response

Daisy, we're sorry to hear that you're unsatisfied. We'll be in touch with you soon to learn more.

Empire Today expert review by Joseph Truini

The year 1959 saw the founding of Empire Today in Chicago. Since then, the business has grown into a true empire with locations in the majority of U.S. states.

• Products: Empire Today offers carpet, hardwood, laminate, resilient vinyl, tile, even window blinds and shades. Free-in-home estimates are available.

• Financing: Empire Today and Wells Fargo Bank offer financing, including an interest-free option, that charges no interest for 12 months. Another option gives you a 48-month payoff time frame at 9.99 percent interest rate.

• Warranties: Empire Today warranties run a lifetime in some cases, with a still-respectable 30 years in several other cases.

• Outdoor carpeting: Empire sells carpeting for porches, patios and decks. Their short pile height helps keep crushes and dents from forming.

• Installation: Installations are performed by independent contractors who work with Empire Today. Options include next-day installation and half-price deals.

• Best for: Luxury shoppers, budget seekers and people with pets and kids stand to find what they need from Empire Today.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini

Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Empire Today Company Information