3.34/5
Based on 1,437 ratings submitted in the last year
Call toll free
(844) 329-2663 Visit Website

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1959, Empire Today® has provided Carpet, Hardwood, Laminate, Vinyl, Tile Flooring, and Window Treatments to over 2 million satisfied customers. Offering quality, name-brand products, Empire Today can help you find the product you want, within your budget. Empire brings hundreds of samples to your doorstep. During your free estimate, an experienced Sales Representative will help you choose a floor, take room measurements, and provide an all-inclusive price estimate. And, there’s no need to wait weeks - professional installers can install in-stock styles as soon as the next day. Offering competitive low prices and comprehensive warranties, Empire Today is committed to ensuring your Carpet and Flooring installation experience is top notch and handled by qualified and experienced contractors.

2016 American Business Awards:

The Stevies Company of the Year - Consumer Products - Bronze Winner

The Stevies Company of the Year - Customer Service Department of the Year - Consumer Products - Bronze Winner

Empire Today Video
Empire Today Gallery (5)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

7011 Empire Today Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: July 2, 2019

A friend of mine used Empire in North Carolina and had very good results. My friend said the pricing was very good and I was already gonna go that way. I knew what I wanted to get done and it was a pretty quick sale. We did all the prep work. I took all the old carpet out that had been in for 40 years. I had four rooms and a 13-stair carpeted hallway. Everything went well. My salesperson was fine. The people that came in to do the work didn't always speak very good English so sometimes communication was a little bit difficult, but they knew what they were doing. They were fast and efficient.

Empire did a beautiful job with the installation. I love the finished result. It was like a new install for them. We didn’t get much off for doing all of the prep work though. I thought maybe more should have come off. But Empire did take all the old carpet and I'm grateful for that. The only thing was I was expecting some scuff marks, but I thought they did an excessive amount of damage on the woodworks in the room. I had wood and paint and all that kind of stuff. Once you have a light colored flooring in, it's hard to go back and to paint because you're paranoid you're gonna get something somewhere. They could have put some plastic over the banisters and done a little prep like when you go to get your car done and put a mat down to prevent some of the damage that could have been prevented. The packing of the carpet is very scratchy and that can definitely scuff walls and wooded areas.

But I was able to fix everything. I just would have felt bad had it been some older couple that would have hired painters then had to have all those people come back out to fix what had happened. In my case, it probably took a day to fix everything that was damaged like the wood that had to be resanded and restained. There was a lot. But the end result was very good for the carpet itself. I look at my flooring now and I'm happy with what happened. I like that my flooring is all the same color carpet throughout. The carpet is great. I got what I ordered. I would recommend Empire to a friend, but I would definitely let them understand what they would get so there would be no surprise at the end.

Get expert buying tips about Flooring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 28, 2019

I purchased the laminate wood floor for my first floor and new carpet, the best carpet I had, for my upstairs. I checked with Empire Today first and I did get another quote from Lowe’s. It was really out-of-control price so we went with Empire Today. I had a great experience with my sales guy. He was very nice. He told me that I’d have to remove the toilet so I had that done. But when the guys came to do the wood floor, they told me I also had to remove my pedestal sink. It would've been nice if I knew that. I had it rushed and got somebody to my house to remove that or they weren’t gonna put my flooring on the day they arrived. That was a little disheartening. I called my guy and told him about it and he was sorry.

The guys that did the hardwood floor were fabulous but they showed up with not enough product to do my home that morning. They were short of like six boxes. It might’ve been better if they had a little bit better communication with the warehouse so they knew what they were bringing to my house. That was the only negative. And the thing that upset me with my salesman is he said they should have had the product because I made these arrangements two months ago.

Other than that, everything was great. Even the guy that did my rug was fabulous too. He was really good. His team was great to do the rug. The rug guys were out of my house by noon while the poor guys were there until 7:00 that night and had to come back Monday with the rest of my flooring. They were embarrassed and upset. They were really sorry. They made sure that they came back that Monday. They called me when they were five minutes out. I left work and went right to the house. They were done in two hours just as they told me. They did a great job. They put all my furniture back. They worked straight through lunch. I kept trying to offer them water and they said, “No, no, no. We’re good.” They got as much as they could get done. They cleaned everything up before they left. I’m very happy with everything Empire Today did.

Original review: May 25, 2019

Empire did everything. They were nice, they brought things to the house and they showed us everything. We're not able to go out and look at these things in different stores that's why we chose them. They installed laminate flooring in five bedrooms and a foyer. The quality of work performed by the four installers on the first day was excellent. However, they put white quarter-inch molding all around in all the rooms and they never asked me about it. I told them that they're supposed to be putting oak quarter round, I didn't want that white so the next day, the guy came back and redid it. He had to remove the bookcases and book things again that was against the wall that they put back. When he came in, he said he would be finished in an hour and a half but he was finished in five hours. It was just really time-consuming and draining. He did a good job of putting the molding in though.

The installers also didn't clean up after themselves 'cause they had to cut doors down. It took me four days to get all that sawdust up. They wrote me a little thing, "Just go to Home Depot and buy this stuff and you can clean the floors." I was upset with that. Thn my biggest concern was that the salesman kept changing the amount of money. He was not clear on any of the things. He drove me crazy and he wanted an answer that day. I thought it was under $9,000. I figured $2,000 a room, that would be good, and less with the foyer 'cause I thought they were going through 59 boxes of the laminate. The salesman forgot to add tax and he then added it. The price wound up to be $9,900 and I don't know why. I gave him two checks and I don't even know what they're for.

Another thing, I had wanted to have shades put in in my family room and the salesman said okay so he took all of the information down. The man came out, he measured, and that was the last I've seen him. No more shades and I didn't hear from anybody. That's a big project too because that was $1,200. But I love the new flooring. The color is beautiful and I'm hoping that it does what it's supposed to be, no scratches, no water damage. So far, it works.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

My daughter and my son had Empire Today, and I saw their carpets. I figured if they went with Empire, I would too, and I did. We had carpeting installed and we had it done twice. First, we had the family room downstairs, and then we had the living room and dining room done. Our interactions with the reps the first time were really good, but the second time, I didn’t know what was going on and it wasn’t that great. I called for the second project as I was going to get the bedroom done and the stairs, and they called to see why I got the estimate, what was wrong and why I didn’t get the carpet. I told the lady rep that the salesman told me it wasn’t on sale and he gave me a price over the phone, which was way too much. We got our carpeting on sale before and we got a premium carpet. But the carpet that was offered by the salesman cost twice as much and we weren’t getting as much.

The lady rep had someone else come out and measure. She was supposed to be giving us special pricing. However, the salesman that came was supposed to put in a change order because of the difference in price. That went on for almost two weeks. He was supposed to have the correct amount on it, and instead of $2,400, it would be 1,400. That never took place, however, until the morning of the installation. I called and said that if I did not see proof that it was only going to be $1,400, I wasn’t getting it. The installers called them in the morning and told them that they couldn’t understand me. But they weren’t speaking much English, so it was kind of hard to get them to understand what was going on. That situation took a lot of time and a lot of calls.

I felt good about the first two guys that came and installed the floor. They were both Mexicans, and one spoke very good English while the other one hardly spoke at all. But that was fine because I could communicate. Then with the second group of installers that came, one didn’t speak any English while the second one spoke minimal English. It was hard to communicate with them as well. When someone asked me about Empire, I told them that I would recommend it. But I also told them about the miscommunications. I would recommend to Empire that there should be one person that can really speak good English when the crew comes out to install the carpet. Still, I really like the carpet and I was pleased with the installation. I would go with Empire again because I also need a kitchen floor and a bathroom floor.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I got cheap carpet from Empire Today for our rental house. It was cheap and it was a good deal. I trusted that because I knew the salesman, if there were any issues then I could always get him to help me. In fact, there was an issue but I didn't have to get him to help me. The company took care of it just fine. I received a call about five minutes before 8:00 AM, telling me that the installers would be at my house within the next two hours. But they didn't show up until after 4:30. That had everything to do with how I scheduled my workers at the house that day and it cost me money. I explained that to someone at Empire Today and he asked me what I thought it cost. I told him that it probably cost me $111 and he said, "Well, how about we take off $150." I told him that was fine and he did it so I'm completely satisfied.

I really want them to correct that scheduling problem though. I got the impression that this was just how they do things. But a company as good as Empire shouldn't be doing something like that. That was not respectful of me and my time. When they told me they were gonna be there by 10:00 o'clock but they didn't show up until 4:30, they ruined my day. They had taken a whole day instead of a couple of hours of my day. So many companies act like nobody else is working but everyone else is working.

But the mistake was made with whoever did the scheduling and sent out that automatic call. I wasn't gonna be upset with the workers because someone in the office made a mistake. I was just happy to see them when they finally got there. Plus they did a very good job and were very friendly. They worked with a good attitude and they seemed to enjoy what they were doing. They carpeted over my under-the-house access and I caught that. When I asked them to correct something, they did it with a smile. They didn't act at all like they were a little put out, and they did a nice job of correcting that. To this point, the carpet has been fine too. I expect to have to replace it but it seemed like it would be there for a few years. When it's done, I'll call Empire Today to put in new flooring. I've recommended the company to someone else too.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Empire Today?

Original review: July 12, 2019

Overall I am satisfied. The salesperson was very professional. My disappointment is the fact the the carpet they installed was not the color I chose. Was same style but wrong color. They should ensure colors are correct before sending out the installers who are coming from 2 states over.

Original review: July 12, 2019

The installers were prompt, courteous and professional; they knew their job and cleaned the areas inside and out. We had a few visitors as they were working and everyone spoke highly of them, I believe they may have another customer soon; keep up the good work Empire. Our guys came from the Tidewater area. We can't stop smiling.

Original review: July 8, 2019

Cannot get an itemized invoice. We had Empire install carpet and laminate installed in a rental property we owned. At the time, they were holding a promotion of buy one room, get two rooms for $50 each. The estimate seemed high and we questioned the sales rep. He indicated it was the right amount and said we would see all of that on the itemized statement/contract. When we received our signed copy of the contract..it showed the estimate amount..but no itemization. I have been on the phone with Empire Today Customer service six times now, trying to get an itemized statement so that we can verify that we did get the promotion and were charged correctly. The first time I called, they said, "No problem, we will email it to you." All we received was another copy of the contract with just the total as was given us as an estimate. Second call, "oh..we are so sorry..we will email it to you". We never received it.

Third call, "Well, they were supposed to email it to you, I can see that. But we do not have an email on file for you". I confirmed my email on both previous calls. This same person then asked me, "Oh, is your email address" and proceeded to read my email address. So she said she would email it to me again. Fourth call..again "Oh, we are very sorry, here, let me send it over right now." I waited on the phone with the customer service rep, but no email came through. So I asked her to mail me a copy which she said she would do. Three weeks have passed and no itemized invoice in the mail. Fifth call.."Oh well, we don't have that information available here. I see that you financed your carpet through " ". You need to call them. They will have an itemized invoice..we don't have it here". I disagreed with her and said, "I don't believe they will have that info"..and she assured me they would.

Called the credit card company..of course they didn't have it. Called Empire back and spoke with another customer service rep..she couldn't come up with it and told me her supervisor advised her to tell me they do not have access to that information. I asked to speak with her supervisor..her supervisor told me that they can only provide the contract with the estimate/quote on it and that all the estimates are the same. I told her that was not possible because people have different size rooms, buy different products, etc. I also said that they must have the information because how else could they produce a quote. The supervisor said she would contact our local office and ask them to contact me.

I simply cannot believe that they cannot supply me with the detailed information to support the total they charged me..and at this point, it makes me suspicious that they are hiding something. Great product..good installation service..but I should be able to see what they are charging me for specifically with regards to the promotional "sale" we purchased under. Very frustrated and at this point..would not recommend this company to anyone.

Empire Today response

Christie, we regret to hear that your experience was not what you expected. We'll be in touch with you soon to discuss your concerns.

Original review: July 8, 2019

Installers did not have the binding ready for the stairs. They stated they would come back in two days to install the stairs. They did not show and would not answer the phone. I called Empire’s 1 800 number and after an hour on the phone, was told that there was no info on them needing to finish installing the carpet but would call me back when they had more information but could not tell me when they would call back. They have my 4300 dollars and left me with old carpet on the stairs and no info if or when they will finish the stairs. An absolute fail of a company and professionalism.

Empire Today response

Jeremy, we apologize for your experience. We've located your order, and will be further reviewing your concerns.

Original review: July 7, 2019

Scheduled an appointment about a week in advance. Was given July 7th, with a 2 hours window from 1 to 3 pm. Received a confirmation email with a reminder on Friday 7/5/2019. July 7th arrives and at 3:15 no salesman is at my home. I called and after having to verify all my information, including my phone number which the agent already knew and said it to me, I finally learned that no one was going to show up at my home. Apparently the agent or a supervisor could not state what the conflict was. No phone call, no text, no email to let me know that no one was coming. I wasted my entire day waiting around for a completely unprofessional, unreliable salesperson from this company.

I was told I could go ahead and reschedule and they would offer me a whole $100.00 off my order. Seriously, why would I want to waste my time, reschedule and give this unprofessional company another two hour window. I was told a sales manager would contact me the next business day. Well that is tomorrow. I informed the supervisor that my time is just as valuable to me. I should bill them for my time of waiting around all day. I am sure they will offer some excuse for their lack of reliability and unprofessional display of common courtesy!

Empire Today response

Anthony, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. You will hearing back from us soon to discuss your experience.

Original review: July 7, 2019

The carpet people installed it fast and accurate. The carpet was a good deal and we love it. I would recommend Empire to friends and family. The salesman was a great help in picking out the type of carpet we liked and the best deal.

Original review: July 7, 2019

Beautiful carpet installation. We love it! Color and quality is exceptional. We had a excellent experience with Empire. We will definitely be telling our friends to use Empire for their flooring needs. Our salesperson was very nice and professional and had exactly what we were looking for in our 1st home! Trusting Empire in our new home we felt confident and they delivered. Thank you so much for everything!

Original review: July 6, 2019

Sales was courteous and informative. Installation was 3 days after order. Install team was great, respectful of property and furniture and did a quality installation. They were quick and they told me what they were doing and then did it.

Original review: July 6, 2019

This crew was exceptional. Victor was polite and informative. Great job. If only the scheduling had lived up to the actual installation. We were truly bounced around on the actual scheduling time by customer service who had little or no power to tell us when installation would occur from 0630 to 1600. I got proactive to make the installation occur the next day.

Original review: July 5, 2019

Empire Today had something done for my sister-in-law’s house. I was told that they were good so I called them and had a wood floor installed. I liked the guy that helped me. When I had questions, I called him and he called me back right away and explained everything. I have wood floors in my main living room and family room, and the floor I had installed is almost the same as the floor I have. My old floor was glued and when you walked, you could feel that it was flat. The one that they installed in my mom’s bedroom was a floating one. But it’s okay though.

Original review: July 5, 2019

I've been in my house for 13 years and never had the floors done. So, it was time to do it and I had Empire Today install waterproof floors in my bedroom and bathroom. They wound up being a little more affordable for what I needed, especially since I didn’t have to install it myself. The installation team was pretty cool, too. They were at their job and they didn’t like to mess around or sit around. They were moving and I like how they did the borders. It looks so professional. I also liked the product that they gave me and my favorite feature is that it's waterproof. I thought it was a different texture though, but it’s okay and I’m grateful for what I have. In fact, I want the rest of my house done and I want the same guys that came before. All in all, my experience went really well and I recommended Empire Today to my co-worker. They wanna have their whole house redone and their whole house is bigger than mine.

Original review: July 4, 2019

I liked the look of the flooring from Empire Today. I also like the lifetime warranty and the durability of the flooring. We had them install the flooring in every room of our home. Everybody was so professional and well-mannered. They came in and did what they were supposed to do. They were in and out in a timely manner. They told me it would take two and a half days but it only took them two days to finish the job. So, they were very good.

Original review: July 4, 2019

I've used Empire Today in the past and I was happy with the work. We used them again and this time, it was the hardwood floating floor. It went from the foyer to the kitchen to the powder room. Then, I also had another bathroom done upstairs. It was a challenge in the foyer because of the weight that they had to take out or some kind of stone. The boards underneath were the original from the house but all in all, it worked out well. The customer service rep, Andrew, was awesome. He explained everything that they had to do when they ran into some problems, and the whole crew was very courteous and polite. They were very good and I would have them again. The setup time was quick as far as how long it took to get it installed. The prices were good and all in all, I'm very happy with Empire Today.

Original review: July 4, 2019

Everything went fine with Empire Today. I liked that they came to the house so I went with them. They did laminate flooring in the halls and bedroom, and the flooring is more than my expectations. The crew was also very good. They were very professional.

Original review: July 4, 2019

We had two different visits from Empire and two different things were done. We converted my ex-husband’s old office into a bedroom for my 81-year old mother so we put carpet there. We also put carpet in the family room. We then had Empire put laminate flooring in the kitchen, the hallway, and the laundry room. I knew my brother-in-law probably could have done the flooring for us but he was busy. I've been divorced for 15 years so there's no handyman around here to help me with the flooring. I just decided to go wing it and try Empire. It was a little expensive, but I'm happy with the way it turned out so it's worth it.

My salesperson was from Pennsylvania which is right next to us. We're in Delaware. He came down and he was very pleasant and helpful. He suggested that I ask if there were any extra pieces from the workman in case I ever need them for future repairs to the flooring. We had carpet remnants. Overall, the flooring is fine. But I didn’t realize that with the laminate, I gotta be careful. It started showing indentation marks from the kitchen chairs and stuff. I didn’t know I had to put stuff on the bottom of the chairs. I bought some kind of stuff but they are not staying on too well.

Original review: July 4, 2019

We were trying to sell our house and we got the carpeting from Empire Today because it was quicker. The sales rep was very people-oriented and was a very nice guy. We got a very popular color they had it in stock. It's good and it looks great. I recommend Empire.

Original review: July 3, 2019

The product is cheap, rips, chips, tears and is a hazard. The installers do not know what they are doing. It has been just over a year and they have had to come repair their mistakes or problems with the (bad) product 5 or 6 times (I have lost count). Do not throw away your money.

Empire Today response

Macie, we regret to hear that you feel this way. We'll be looking into this matter right away, thank you.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: July 3, 2019

Not at all happy with the financing situation we were told by salesman would occur. It took nearly 2 weeks to get it straightened out (and much worrying during that time, as we had to place entire balance on a credit card which needed to be paid off in full). Spent hours on phone trying to get matter resolved. Workmanship not as good as what we had previously, which is why we called Empire to begin with!

Empire Today response

Fran, thank you for making us aware of your concerns. We've located your order and will be in touch with you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I had somebody that recommended Empire. I went to their website and set up an appointment. I had them install carpet and I like the pet guard part of it. The saleslady was a nice lady. However, she spent a long time on the stairs. But she was very positive and informative. The installer came early too. They called me in the morning, but I bought the house that day, so I didn’t have the keys yet when they called me and said they were here. And I was like, “I don’t have my keys yet. You have to wait.” But they were nice guys. There was one stair where they didn’t tuck it down so I showed it to them, and they fixed it right away. I didn’t have any issues. I’m happy.

Original review: July 3, 2019

We had a very good experience with Empire Today. They had many options and the carpet we got is soft. I like it and I’m very satisfied.

Original review: July 3, 2019

We needed to get our flooring done quickly. We looked at other flooring companies but we weren’t satisfied with how quickly they were getting it done. With Empire Today, they got the job done quickly and efficiently and the carpet was fairly easy to set up. The room is currently being used as an office and the carpet has met our expectations.

Original review: July 3, 2019

The initial person who showed me the sample was very nice, very well-versed on the products she was putting across to me and knew quite well what to do. I stayed out of her way and let her do whatever she had to do. The carpet seems to be a good product and I'm very happy with it. I will refer them and if I need them, I’ll use them.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I had used Empire in Arizona and they redid the entire house floor. They did a great job that's why I called them again for this job. It was great pricing. The workers were fabulous and they did it in great timing. They did a wonderful job and I'm super happy with it. The whole process just went really great from the lady that came over to the day they installed it. Everything was perfect.

Original review: July 2, 2019

Updated on 07/10/2019: Where do we start, hmm... damage 3 feet up on walls. Seems, more seems going in different directions against grain of carpet, damaged ceramic tile from installation, carpet cut short everywhere and no working solution from company. We have had a run around from the start and now they have come back to say we will replace a 12 foot section. We were even told by Juan when he came out to inspect it there was no repair for it, all had to be replaced. Beware! Beware! Before you get involved with this company!! We have now had to retain an attorney. They do not want to do the right thing and replace it all.

Original Review: Installers, rude, didn’t listen even after I told them it was newly painted... Their comment, "Well you still need to touch up right?" No! Big rooms and piecemealed the carpet everywhere and seams very noticeable! We even discussed the seam placement and they did the opposite! Cut a corner too short, their comment, "Well you're putting baseboards down right!" NO! And a gap that big won’t be covered! Damage to ceramic tile, mess left in garage everywhere, paint tore up on every corner, scrapes on new painted wall for just be careless and not giving a crap about our property!!!! Beware of their installers!

Empire Today response

Jennifer, we're disappointed to hear that your carpet installation did not meet your expectations. We take your concerns seriously and will be following up with you shortly to discuss your experience.

Original review: July 2, 2019

Our county is contracted out with Empire Today. We had them install laminate and carpeting in our home. Their sales rep was very nice and helpful. Their installer did a really good job on the carpeting. So far, the flooring looks really good and it cleans up easily.

Empire Today expert review by Joseph Truini

The year 1959 saw the founding of Empire Today in Chicago. Since then, the business has grown into a true empire with locations in the majority of U.S. states.

• Products: Empire Today offers carpet, hardwood, laminate, resilient vinyl, tile, even window blinds and shades. Free-in-home estimates are available.

• Financing: Empire Today and Wells Fargo Bank offer financing, including an interest-free option, that charges no interest for 12 months. Another option gives you a 48-month payoff time frame at 9.99 percent interest rate.

• Warranties: Empire Today warranties run a lifetime in some cases, with a still-respectable 30 years in several other cases.

• Outdoor carpeting: Empire sells carpeting for porches, patios and decks. Their short pile height helps keep crushes and dents from forming.

• Installation: Installations are performed by independent contractors who work with Empire Today. Options include next-day installation and half-price deals.

• Best for: Luxury shoppers, budget seekers and people with pets and kids stand to find what they need from Empire Today.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Empire Today Company Information