3.9/5 (685 ratings)

About Empire Today

Empire Today has provided carpet, hardwood, laminate, vinyl tile flooring, and window treatments to more than 2 million customers since 1959. The company brings hundreds of samples to your doorstep, and a sales representative helps you choose a floor, takes room measurements, and provides an all-inclusive price estimate. Professional installers can install in-stock styles as soon as the next day. The company offers competitive prices and comprehensive warranties.

Pros

• Professional measurements
  • 1-year limited installation warranty
  • Brings product samples to your home

Cons

• Limited financing options
  • Consultation required for estimate

Bottom Line

Empire Today brings the shopping experience to you with its in-home consultations and professional flooring specialists. Price quotes are only available after an appointment, but there is no obligation to buy.

Top Empire Today Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We had hardwood installed in my living room and hallway. The sales rep from Empire was pretty good. The installation took two days and it went very well. We had a lot going on tha...

Verified

… The installers did a good job. They came in and out, spent a lot of time, and took care of everything, moving my furniture easily. They took precautions not to break or damage a...

What is Empire Today?

Empire Today offers floor and window renovations for residential and commercial customers. To get started with Empire Today, visit its website to schedule a personalized shopping experience. All of Empire Today’s consultations take place in your home, which lets you find the samples that best match the decor in your home under your own lighting.

During the initial consultation, Empire’s independent contractor measures the room and provides a price estimate. Because measurements are taken before you purchase the materials, Empire Today can ensure that customers get the right amount of flooring needed for the job. All of the company’s installation services include a one-year limited warranty.

Empire Today also offers online tools to make interior decorating easier. The “See a Floor in Your Room” function on its website lets you upload a picture of your room and try different flooring options before scheduling a consultation. In addition, customers can see photos to use as inspiration for different rooms.

Empire flooring prices

While an in-home consultation is required to get an estimate of Empire Today’s products and services, the company does offer regular discounts, coupons and promotions on its website. New customers can get up to $250 off by signing up for Empire Today’s email service.

Financing options are also available. Empire Today’s credit card offers monthly payment options over 12 or 48 months with a 9.99% APR through Wells Fargo Bank.

Empire Today FAQ

Does Empire Today have showrooms or retail stores?
No. According to Empire Today, the company “brings the showrooms and retail stores to you.” Empire Today opts for a shop-at-home model instead of operating stores.
How do I shop with Empire?
To shop with Empire, book an appointment on its website or call the company to have a flooring specialist visit your home or business.
Is there any charge or obligation for an estimate?
No. In-home consultations through Empire Today are free, and there’s no charge or obligation to buy to receive an estimate.
Do the products have any warranty?
Yes, Empire Today’s products come with a manufacturer’s warranty and a limited installation warranty. It’s best to check with the company for specifics on the manufacturer’s warranty.
What type of financing options does Empire have?
Empire Today offers a credit card in partnership with Wells Fargo Bank. Currently, customers can choose from 12-month or 48-month payment plans.
Does Empire Today move furniture?
Yes, you can request furniture moving services through Empire Today. You’re responsible for moving small or breakable items.
How long does Empire take to install?
As long as products are in stock, Empire Today can install as quickly as the next day. The company works around your schedule.

Is Empire flooring a good deal?

We recommend Empire Today for homeowners and businesses who prefer to save on shopping time and see what flooring looks like in their space before purchasing. Customers praise Empire Today’s knowledgeable staff and the company’s quick service. Individuals with strangely shaped rooms or corners appreciate Empire Today’s in-home measurements, which make it easier to purchase the right type and amount of supplies before installation begins.

Empire Today Reviews

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

The sales rep was great. He was very thorough. He seemed very knowledgeable. The installation crew was great at first, and then not so much. We had the contract written up. We were told what was in the contract, and we were told that baseboard and quarter round was included in the contract. But it turned out that the quarter round was included, but not the baseboard. When the installation crew came, they had the quarter round, but they did not have the baseboard. So then, they partially installed the quarter round and said that they would have to be back for the baseboard. They came back with the baseboard. For what they didn't install, they forgot the quarter round on the second installation, so they had to come back for a third trip. It was very poor planning. Somebody dropped the ball at the warehouse and didn't make a note. It was frustrating that we had to schedule three appointments for one install.

I called Empire after the first install to talk about the baseboard. Then a regional manager called me and I missed it, so I called back. When I called back, I left a message on his voicemail. I got another call back from a call office saying, "Oopsie. Sorry. I'm sending an email right now and you'll get a call back from the regional." But I never got a call back from the regional, and that was when the miscommunication about the quarter round happened and the third install had to happen. So if a regional says that he's gonna call me back, I expect a call from the regional.

The sales rep showed us a place in the contract where the baseboard was included, but he misled us. We saw where it said quarter round, and we were able to go back and find that, it just didn't say baseboard. But Empire said, "Okay. Because he told you that it was included even though it wasn't written in the contract, because you were expecting it, we'll install it." It wasn't in the contract, but they did honor it because we said that that was what the rep told us. There was no fight about it, it was just done. So I was very pleased with how they handled that.

The installers were not expecting that last installation that they did with the quarter round. They weren't real happy about having to come back for a third time, and the installation on that part was a little sloppy. But we were able to fix it, and it's no big deal. It was just the result of somebody being tired of it and being ready to move on. But once the flooring was done, it looks good.

Get buying tips about Flooring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2021

We wanted something that was going to last us quite a long time that would look really nice. I asked a handful of coworkers, a couple of which who live in the area, who have dealt with some other companies around the area of Marengo, and a couple of other coworkers had really highly recommended Empire. So we did our research as far as pricing and what kind of products would be available to us. Given the supply chain shortages with some of the other smaller companies, Empire had pretty well what we wanted for about as reasonable of a price as we were going to get anywhere else.

Our customer service rep that came out was named Tom and he was a super nice guy. He was very punctual and very friendly. As a matter of fact, I saved his card because we will be doing floors again in the future in other rooms and we plan to go with Empire on that. I didn't feel like he tried to really upsell, per se and he wasn't pushy about getting us to buy the most expensive and the most up-to-date. He really listened to what my husband and I wanted in our floors, what we were looking for, and our budget. Then he helped us make the best decision possible for our floors.

As far as installation, the timeline was really fast. At the time, Empire was having a sale for what they had in stock in their warehouses, which also helped motivate us to pick the flooring that we did because we knew they had it, so it wouldn't take us months to get our floor put in. The installation happened about two weeks of having our appointment with Tom. The installers came and put our floors in. Tom was very clear that it should only take them about a day to get our flooring put in. But sometimes there would be hiccups here or there along the way, whether it's with the subfloors or materials. So he said he couldn't 100% promise that they'd have everything and be done in a single day. But usually, he said it didn't take more than a couple of days.

Our installers were very personable people but they were a little underprepared when they got here. We paid for a separate service where an antimicrobial spray would be put down before laying the flooring down and when the installers came, they said that they were not able to obtain that antimicrobial spray from Empire’s warehouse upon pickup. They couldn't really give us a clear answer why but they went ahead and drove to the nearest big box store. They were gone for quite a while and subsequently, they weren't able to get our floors done in a single day. It took them about a day and a half to get it done, which is really no huge deal. But it was a little bit frustrating that they didn't have everything that they needed when they got here.

When they did go to pick up the rest of the material they needed, they were gone for a close to three hours, maybe a little more, and the nearest store is only about 30 minutes away. So it took them some time. But the flooring that they installed seems to be very well done and we don't have any complaints as far as anything looking like it’s poor workmanship or buckling. The floors look great.

One of the other companies that we talked to tried to push a similar but not exactly the same flooring to us. They claimed that it was 100% waterproof and it was not. The top layer of it was waterproof, but if any water was to seep through the cracks in the floor, it would absolutely damage our floor. And that was something that I had brought up to Tom. He took very good care of us and he wasn't this kind of swindler salesman that sometimes people get a little worried about dealing with. I gave him my concerns and he was very attentive to those concerns. So if anybody is considering going with Empire, they should make sure to read the fine print on what their flooring needs are. If they're worried about scratch resistance, they should make sure that they talk to their sales reps about what it is as specifically as they can. But Empire takes care of people.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

We had a new house purchase and we had hardwood throughout except for three areas and we wanted to carpet them in a timely manner that was affordable. I looked at Lowe's and Home Depot, but Empire was a better price point and could do it in my timeframe. The salesperson that came out was very punctual. He had more samples available, but he only brought a few in based on what we talked about. I said that I wanted to do the quote and then think about it.

Then immediately, like Empire, a different part of the company reached out and tried to offer a better price, and that was called a rehash team. I was back and forth with this rehash team ‘cause Empire was about $700 over where I wanted to be at, and I was trying to get that price point where I wanted it. The person that kept reaching out didn't have the authority to do that. But they eventually figured out and talked with a supervisor, and the supervisor said, “That's fine.” Brian came back out and we did the contract. He was unable to put that price in his system, but he assured me that it'd be fixed on the backend. It would be nicer if that was smoother, plus if it didn't have to happen like if the person that shows up to the house can offer the best price instead of going back and forth with the main company in a different location.

When we did the install, it was scheduled. Moses, the installer, was coming a very long distance from picking up the carpet to his first job. Then his first job of the day took all day so he wasn't going to be able to do my carpet until about 5 o'clock on a Friday night. That would not work. He couldn't do it the next day, Saturday, but he could do it Monday. He showed up on that day and did a nice job.

But Brian didn't order enough carpet because when he measured the house, it was 660, and he said he uses 800 for overages. It was like the price that I was charged was based off of 800 square feet. But when Moses showed me the work order, he said that it's for 661, and he was literally 3 feet shy. No one could tell me how much I was actually charged for. That was a very annoying part ‘cause I tried to follow up on that. They had to wait an extra week to reorder the carpet and come back and do the last room. Again, Moses came, did his job, and cleaned up.

The whole process itself was aggravating on top of all the other jobs I have going on. Better communication could have been had from the beginning and I'm still wondering if I paid for an extra 140 square feet of carpet when I didn’t get it. Well, in the end, I did, because a whole new piece was ordered, which I wasn't charged for, which was good. But it was unnecessary. If I had based my deadline on the original install on Friday that never happened, what if I tried to move in the next day because the job should have been done? I had the flexibility not to do that because then I would have had to move furniture and all that stuff where I had a totally empty house. It was frustrating. But in the end, we've been in our house for a week and the carpet seems fine.

Original review: June 24, 2021

Our experience with Empire Today was amazing from start to finish. We started the process by scheduling a consultation online and the appointment was set shortly after. I was incredibly impressed with the sales person Ryan C. who came to our home. I have found that through this process the sales reps for some companies aren't as knowledgeable as the installation techs. This was not the case with Ryan. You could tell Ryan was confident and knew what he was talking about. He was also not pushy at all - I didn't feel like he was just there to make a sell but to also ensure we were truly happy with what we received. He gave us the time to consider our options and really went above and beyond to make sure we understood what we were getting, how to care for it, etc.

We had received quotes from multiple companies and ultimately went with Empire Today and Ryan due to their beautiful variety of flooring, pricing, and Ryan's knowledge and caring. We eventually decided to get the Luxury Vinyl Plank flooring with him because it best fit our needs. From the point that Ryan left until the installers came and finished was amazing. I was able to reach out to Ryan and ask a LOT of questions before our install and I never felt like I was bothering him. He always went out of his way to ensure I was heard and my questions answered - even when he was extremely busy with other appointments/etc - he always made sure to call me back by end of day.

The installers were amazing as well. They arrived on time and quickly got to work. You could tell they efficiently/expertly divided the work between themselves to ensure they got the work done quickly but beautifully/professionally. They were polite, friendly and helpful the whole time they were in our home. We were also working from home at the time - so they took extra care to work around us - as well as be mindful of where we were in the home and sound. I was so impressed at how quickly the floor was installed and how great it looked and how well done it was. They left all areas really clean and well done and checked with us multiple times before leaving that we were ok with how everything looked/etc. We are now a week past our install and I'm literally still in awe of how good our flooring looks and how well done it was.

I have one last note and this is again for Ryan - after our install Ryan took the time to answer questions about protecting our floor and has checked in on us to ensure we were happy. I don't think I've ever been more impressed with a sales person. You can tell Ryan takes pride in what he does and that his customers are satisfied. I can't speak for all salespeople at Empire Today but if all of them are like Ryan - you can count on having the company and its employees/contractors care for your home.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

There was an ad for 70% off of flooring. So, I initiated the call to Empire. I didn't buy the 70% off carpet because the salesman said that there was something else available, several other things that would be about $100 and $150 more. I went with one of the other ones that he showed me, and it's fine. It looks good. The installers were good. The gentlemen who came to my house had to go out to his car about four different times to get me different samples. He showed me the ones that were 70% off and some of the other ones that he had available that would be in the price range but a little bit more after discounts.

I had a little difficulty with the installation experience because I know the date that I gave the gentleman to schedule it for, and then I got an email telling me they were coming the next day, which was fine but I have a part-time employment right now. I need to leave the house at 4:00 o'clock. So, I called, and they said the first one starts at 8:00 to 10:00, and then 12:00 to 2:00, but I was on tap for the morning. It should be fine, although I would hear from the installers. I didn't hear from the installers, and it got to be just before noon, and I called. They said they'd be there between noon and 2:00. I called back again, and I didn't get a response. About 1:30, the installers called me and told me they would be here in about 25 minutes, which they were, and they did get it done. They were out by about 10 to 4:00.

It was only one room. It wasn't a lot but I spent virtually all day, and then had to be concerned. The installers told me if they would have known, they would have put me on their schedule for first thing. I told that to the gentleman who came to the house. I told that to the person on the phone. And the person on the phone, in the scheduling process, told me that I was scheduled for first thing in the morning. So, I was at my house all day. I was afraid to leave. That was a little too over-the-top for me.

The other thing is I had just contracted with a roofer and he put me through Wells Fargo, and Wells Fargo did not approve me for the full amount. So, I had to go and then get credit from another company.When the salesman from Empire came in, I told him, “I think I should qualify for your credit. But if this already hit, I wouldn't qualify.” He even asked me, “Was one of them Wells Fargo?” I said, “Yes.” He said, “Do you wanna go through us?” I said, “Well, yeah, I'd like it.” It was a very good deal for financing. There will be no interest to pay in 12 months. So, I said, “Yeah, I’d really like that.” Lo and behold, he put me through Wells Fargo. So, it's a mark on my credit for running it through Wells Fargo, and then being declined.

So, I pulled out one of my credit cards, and I had to put down 50%. I can pay it off and I'm not worried about the interest. It’ll take me two or three months to pay it off but it's worth it. I have the carpet. I'm happy with it. I'm happy with the job that the installers did. It's just that that really kind of ticked me off. I was ready to say, “Okay, forget it.” But now, since I’m this far through the process, you get to the point where you don't wanna shop around anymore. I would recommend Empire with stipulations like, “Watch out for this. Watch out for that.” I would say, “Yes. I would recommend that you at least have them come in and give you an estimate and stuff like that. But be leery, one, of the financing. Because not everybody is approved.” Even though my credit score was in the high sixes in one, and over 700 with the other, I didn't qualify because it was Wells Fargo. Wells Fargo had just given me $10,000 a couple of days before for my roof.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

I had carpet installed in two spare bedrooms and the cost was on the higher half, but the quality was good. It's met every expectation I've had.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 2, 2022

On December 4, a sales representative from Empire Today came out to give us a quote on replacing our carpet with laminate flooring. We paid a large sum of money, equal to about 50% of the entire quoted price. We were wary of starting this project close to the holidays, but we were told it would be a one-day completion and guaranteed complete before Christmas. On the 15th, the installers showed up 4 hours late and made us pay 100% upfront before they would even unload any materials from the van, which is in violation of our contract, which states that the work would be “substantially complete” before we would pay the remaining balance and that we would owe no more than 30% upfront. I should have seen this as a red flag right away, but I didn’t know any better and was basically interrogated into paying in full; they said it was “company policy” and that “everyone does it,” so we (regretfully) complied.

That day, they only finished about half of the “work,” saying they miscalculated the materials needed by 8 full boxes and would be back the next day to complete it. Meanwhile, they had torn up all the carpet on our staircase, leaving exposed plywood and sharp nails sticking out of the floor, on which we stepped and injured ourselves, after being told it was “clean and safe to walk on.” The next day, they never showed up and postponed for another week. The following week, they were late yet again, and when they did come, they put down half of the flooring on our staircase and left the entire second staircase unfinished yet again! They said they miscalculated again by 6 more boxes and would be back the next day to fulfill the guarantee that it would be finished before Christmas.

We took off work to be home for them, and when half the day went by and no one showed up, we tried contacting the closest branch to us, and they said they would not be coming. They just no-called, no-showed with no notice, so we missed more work for nothing. We were told a “glitch in their system” cancelled the job by accident and that they would return Christmas Eve to finish. Christmas Eve went by and, YET AGAIN, no one showed up, and they postponed for another week. We ended up having to cancel our Christmas plans because it was unsafe for children (or anyone) to be walking on the unfinished flooring with exposed nails. We respectfully asked that they send a different installer to complete the work, as it was not done professionally at all, and the installers urinated all over our bathroom toilet seats and did not flush the toilets - so disrespectful and disgusting!

We were guaranteed by email that a new crew would be sent out and that they would send an “inspector” to look at the work, but the same people showed up again, failed to provide credentials when asked, and there was no inspector. We only agreed to let them continue because we were so far along at that point and couldn’t just leave plywood and sharp nails down to walk on and needed something while we waited to have it done correctly.

When they said the work was “complete,” we were appalled at what we found. There were nail holes sticking out all throughout the house where the quarter round was installed; the nose pieces on the stairs were installed incorrectly and are, to this day, wobbling back and forth and unsafe; they installed damaged products (we found several chipped pieces of the new flooring upon installation); they damaged our preexisting tile flooring, trim, staircase, walls, and furniture; they were completely careless and slid heavy furniture across the floor and dropped a 700 pound treadmill onto the floor (we provided sliders to put beneath the furniture and requested they use them, but they did not); the “click-lock mechanism” was installed incorrectly, so there are gaps between the planks, exposing the preexisting wood beneath the new flooring; they inappropriately placed caulk into the large holes they created in our staircase, which look absolutely horrendous and unprofessional; they removed and threw away our door stoppers, so I had to buy new ones, etc.

The manager at the local location told us that we needed to get “two quotes” from contractors stating the cost of damages so that we could be reimbursed. When I told him we were getting those, he changed his story and now wants 3 quotes. We have tried over and over to contact customer service, but no one ever returns our calls to resolve the issue. All we wanted and asked for was top quality, durable, waterproof flooring, but we got a cheap product that was already damaged upon installation, and they did not install it properly. We paid $13,000 for this garbage, and the manager said he would give us “$350 for the inconvenience.” What a joke!

We are pursuing this legally, as they falsely advertised their product, breached the contract by making us pay 100% upfront, installed the product incorrectly, were unreliable throughout, caused us to miss work and injure ourselves due to carelessness, stole some of our belongings, failed to provide credentials when asked, and overall did a horrific job. This is the worst company and “customer service” I have ever experienced, and they should not be in business. Please, PLEASE read reviews and do not let this poor excuse for a company scam you as they have us! We are seeking a full refund so that we can have our floors redone properly by a local, highly reputable flooring company with licensed contractors.

Empire Today response

Emma, we understand your frustration and sincerely apologize for your experience. We'll be in touch with you soon to start working on a resolution.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

Ordered flooring for 2 rooms (carpet). 2 weeks later they showed up to demo my tile (Note! I was having carpet removed from two rooms and replaced). 10 more days and 3 missed appointments an installer that appeared to be from a street corner arrived with about 1/2 enough carpet for the job. 4 days later the same guy arrived with enough product. Drove through my landscaping with tire spinning and left black marks on driveway. After working all day he left the premise atrocious with little cleanup. Many calls and written complaints and no returned communication. Very subpar vendor and I recommend that one seek services from anyone else as this is not the route you want to go.

Empire Today response

Mike, thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We've located your order and will be in touch with you soon.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

When I reached out to Empire, it was decent. The installation took one day.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2021

We purchased the laminate floor for our living room from Empire Today. Installation was great. The guys did a really good job. I was very satisfied with the installers. However, I wasn't impressed with the salesman at all. He only brought in a couple of samples. We had to keep asking for more.

Empire Today response

Bill, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We're glad to hear the installation went well. If you have further questions or concerns please email us at customersupport@empiretoday.com.

Empire Today Company Information