Call toll free
3.32/5
Based on 1,199 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1959, Empire Today® has provided Carpet, Hardwood, Laminate, Vinyl, Tile Flooring, and Window Treatments to over 2 million satisfied customers. Offering quality, name-brand products, Empire Today can help you find the product you want, within your budget. Empire brings hundreds of samples to your doorstep. During your free estimate, an experienced Sales Representative will help you choose a floor, take room measurements, and provide an all-inclusive price estimate. And, there’s no need to wait weeks - professional installers can install in-stock styles as soon as the next day. Offering competitive low prices and comprehensive warranties, Empire Today is committed to ensuring your Carpet and Flooring installation experience is top notch and handled by qualified and experienced contractors.

2016 American Business Awards:

The Stevies Company of the Year - Consumer Products - Bronze Winner

The Stevies Company of the Year - Customer Service Department of the Year - Consumer Products - Bronze Winner

Empire Today Video
Empire Today Gallery (5)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

Empire Today Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

When we had put some carpeting in our home a couple of years ago, we looked at a couple of different people and got some different estimates. We went with Empire. I also stayed with them when I chose carpeting for two bedrooms in a rental home that we own. The carpeting needed to be replaced and that was done beautifully.

A representative was assigned to us and we were given an appointment window, as a lot of companies do like from 8:00 to 10:00 or 10:00 to 12:00, and also a date for him to come. He contacted us early in the morning at that date to confirm the appointment window then met us at the property. First of all, he asked us what we were considering and what price range we wanted. He had noted that it was a rental home, so he didn’t really try to convince us that we needed huge, expensive carpeting for those two bedrooms. He said it was in a really reasonable price range. He showed us several alternatives, discussed the carpeting and the padding with us, the turnaround time, and the possible delivery times. After we had wrapped up, we had chosen the one that we liked.

We were having the house painted at the time, so it was easy to match the carpet with the color of the new walls because they were being made new simultaneously. We chose the carpeting and he checked on a couple of possible installation dates. He found one a couple of days later in that same week then set our schedule and their schedule. The only thing that I was curious about was paying the deposit with a check, which got photographed and sent over the internet, then handed back to me and voided. It was a procedure I had not ever used before. It was a little crazy to do it over the computer that way rather than just handing the check and have them turn it in. But it seems that the payment went through very smoothly, and the same method was used two days later when we had the carpeting installed.

We had a window of what time that the gentleman would be coming to install the carpet, and they arrived in the first portion of that window in the day. But I don’t think they called ahead of time. They just appeared without making us wait all day long for them. They were in and out of the home in a very quick and efficient manner. They measured, organized, cut the carpet, and put it down. They did a beautiful job and they finished within about two hours for the two bedrooms. We’re very happy with the product.

In both instances that we’ve talked with the people who have come out to make the sale, they’ve been really interested in what we wanted to do and how we perceived redoing the house. They didn’t try to convince me to carpet my entire house since I told them I only wanted to carpet the upstairs and leave the wood floors in the downstairs. They didn’t try to twist my arm to change my mind. They just sat right down and got to business with what I wanted. In our recent one, they didn’t say they could carpet the bathroom or they could do the adjacent room and add to this. They just said, “This is what you want, and these are our products.” They gave the price ranges and made recommendations for our rental because a certain type of fabric may hold up better than something else in the line. I thought that they very much took into consideration the audience they’re selling things to and didn’t try to oversell.

Get expert buying tips about Flooring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

I’ve had Empire carpet come out thrice in 10 years. I’ve had carpeting and laminate, called LVP, put in. The pricing was very good. I had them put flooring in the kitchen, dining, laundry room, and then I called back and had them come do the living room. My husband is out of town a lot, and I asked for a female salesman, and they sent her out. I told her that when we schedule the first room to be done, that I needed to make sure that there was somebody there because I don’t like strangers coming into my house with me being alone. They sent out this wonderful crew. And my son was there. I loved the flooring from Empire Today so much that I wanted all the rooms to match.

I called the salesman back but she was out of town. They then sent me another saleslady. She came out. We measured, scheduled, and we had to reschedule twice. I got everything scheduled for the Friday ‘cause that was my one day off. I had everything set, Jaime was gonna be home, and they called me Thursday afternoon to reschedule. That week, we had Imelda, the storm, and that one was nobody’s fault. But I kinda yelled at George on the phone saying if they could not get the installers out here the third time, the deal was gonna be off. I remember telling them distinctly who the installers I wanted, and they said that was not a problem and that they knew I was comfortable working with the first installer.

The phone calls started to get a little less and less. They used to call me all the time letting me know my schedule was coming. There was lack of communication and they sent out somebody totally different. They did not call me and tell me that they were not sending out the first installer that I had. But it all went well because my husband showed up about an hour and a half after they showed up. I spent $3,600 and it was over. The second guys did a great job. They were in and out in about five hours. The room was less than 300 square feet, so it was pretty easy to do and they did a really good job. I’d still have Empire Today come out. But there’d be specific rules because I’m alone a lot, and I don’t like strange people that I don’t know in my house. Things are just bad nowadays and I don’t trust anybody.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

We had carpet installed in our family room and master bedroom. I was replacing frieze and I really liked the carpet from Empire Today. I had the frieze for almost 20 years, so I really wanted a good carpet that I knew would last again. I had gone into a store, but it was kind of overwhelming. There was so much to choose from. I had replaced the carpet in the master bedroom once before already, and I was not happy with the choice. So, I wasn’t trusting and I didn’t wanna make the same mistake again.

I really liked the guy who came out. It was good that he came here because he could see what we already had, and that we wanted something good and something that would last. So, he understood that completely and that was a very positive thing for me. But he was late. When I made the appointment, they gave me a two-hour window to which he would be here. And 15 minutes before the end of that two-hour window, I got a telephone call from somebody that told me that he would be here within 30 minutes. So, 30 minutes went by, and he still was not here yet, and I had chosen the window 4:00 to 6:00. It was right around the dinner hour. So then, when he wasn’t here by 6:30, I decided that I was going to make dinner.

He was 45 minutes past the ending of my window time. And when he came to the door, I told him that he was late and that I just put dinner on the table and he was gonna have to come back in 30 minutes. And he honored that. When he came back, it was later than expected. I felt like he was really hyper and rushing. He was talking very fast. So, I felt like it was a little bit rushed.

The installation guys were absolutely amazing. They worked so hard and they were in and out here in two hours. They understood what we wanted and how we wanted it handled. We did pack everything up, but they did move the heaviest furniture and moved it right back in. They were very professional and they knew what they were doing. It went very smoothly. We love the carpet. The color is very similar to what we already had. I like the feel and look of it. It’s so professional-looking. It’s perfect. Once it was done, I probably should’ve done this five years ago. I was very, very pleased.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

I had Empire do the carpet on my steps and the upstairs hallway. I then wanted to rip the carpet up out of the living room. I had Empire do the flooring in the living room and the spare room down here. But I wasn't very happy with the installer and with his boss. From carpet to flooring, there’s a gap between the foyer and the living room. I wanted that wood put down to kinda make it so it wasn't too much of a drop so my husband wouldn’t stumble. The installer started doing it and I was at the hospital at that time. I had a heart attack in July and my husband had one two weeks later. He also has kidney failure, Parkinson’s, and dementia. But I ordered everything before I had the heart attack and before my husband did too.

My daughter and son-in-law were here. The installer was told to stop because the luan wasn’t put down and he called his boss. His boss said to go ahead and do it anyway. My son-in-law had to kick the installer out. It wasn’t the installer’s fault so much as it was his boss. I felt sorry for the kid. They came back to take it out and put that in. But when the installer opened up the box, something was scratched. A different guy then came back and kinda scraped that off where it was cut. He colored that in which was okay because I needed everything done now. I just wasn't very happy. I have more floors and more carpet that I’m going to do but not real soon.

I would like to go back with Empire. The installer of the carpet was absolutely wonderful and I can’t praise him enough. But as for the wood, I’m having an issue with that because I wanted it done and done right. It seemed like the young installer should have had help with him because they were told that I had a couple of cabinets. Two guys could have done it. If my son-in-law wasn't here, the installer couldn’t have done the floors. I emptied out the cabinets of all the glass and everything. But he couldn’t have moved those by himself. That could be an issue whenever they know ahead of time they are gonna have to be moved. It took several weeks to get the work finished.

I had to bring my husband home with everything in the dining area because it’s the door we come in and had to make a path to get him in. I thought for sure that everything would have been done because I didn't wanna cancel. I wanted it done for the reason that I wanted to bring my husband home and be able to put a bed in there, but it didn't happen. But as far as personality, the installer was good. I gave him a hug and tried to smooth things over. But his boss needs retraining. The installer just seemed scared to death of him. I’d love to meet this boss because I’d take him down a notch. All issues aside, I have and would recommend Empire.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

My daughter and my son had Empire Today, and I saw their carpets. I figured if they went with Empire, I would too, and I did. We had carpeting installed and we had it done twice. First, we had the family room downstairs, and then we had the living room and dining room done. Our interactions with the reps the first time were really good, but the second time, I didn’t know what was going on and it wasn’t that great. I called for the second project as I was going to get the bedroom done and the stairs, and they called to see why I got the estimate, what was wrong and why I didn’t get the carpet. I told the lady rep that the salesman told me it wasn’t on sale and he gave me a price over the phone, which was way too much. We got our carpeting on sale before and we got a premium carpet. But the carpet that was offered by the salesman cost twice as much and we weren’t getting as much.

The lady rep had someone else come out and measure. She was supposed to be giving us special pricing. However, the salesman that came was supposed to put in a change order because of the difference in price. That went on for almost two weeks. He was supposed to have the correct amount on it, and instead of $2,400, it would be 1,400. That never took place, however, until the morning of the installation. I called and said that if I did not see proof that it was only going to be $1,400, I wasn’t getting it. The installers called them in the morning and told them that they couldn’t understand me. But they weren’t speaking much English, so it was kind of hard to get them to understand what was going on. That situation took a lot of time and a lot of calls.

I felt good about the first two guys that came and installed the floor. They were both Mexicans, and one spoke very good English while the other one hardly spoke at all. But that was fine because I could communicate. Then with the second group of installers that came, one didn’t speak any English while the second one spoke minimal English. It was hard to communicate with them as well. When someone asked me about Empire, I told them that I would recommend it. But I also told them about the miscommunications. I would recommend to Empire that there should be one person that can really speak good English when the crew comes out to install the carpet. Still, I really like the carpet and I was pleased with the installation. I would go with Empire again because I also need a kitchen floor and a bathroom floor.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Empire Today?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I was definitely not happy with the fact that when I booked my appointment there was a sale going on but once the rep came he stated that sale was over. They should really state that on their website. I still decided to get the work done. I had my floors installed right before Thanksgiving last week on 11/26. I didn't know Empire just subcontracted workers to do their work, so that was a bit startling, just 3 men and a white van in plain clothes. They finished the work in 2 days. The finished product I was not happy with the actual floors look amazing, the "quarter rounds" look unsightly, the piece to put between my carpets and the LVP flooring was on back order so they have not been placed yet, I was not told that before the install.

I left a message for my sales rep, surprise surprise no callback. I spoke to the flooring supervisor, Tony, after the job was done and told him my concerns. Due to my work schedule I told him they would have to come back the following week, he said he would reach out to me to set it up. Well he did not. I thought I would get a call that Friday to set up for the following week and that didn't happen. So I called him on Monday 12/2, he said "oh yeah we have the piece in. I just have to reach out to the carpet guys to see when they can come out, I will call you back to let you know what works for them." Well no call back on Monday, no callback yesterday.

I think that is very poor customer service, I should not have to keep calling to get my work completed. My time is just as valuable as theirs. This Tony person comes off very unprofessional because he is not true to his word. All aspects of the job should be reported before the job is started. They were very happy to take my money, but a 2 day job is now flowing into a 9 day ordeal with crickets on their end. I am being very patient but I don't want my patience to run out. I probably would not recommend my friends or family to Empire. I should have chosen a different company.

Empire Today response

Kisha, we never want our customers to feel this way, and sincerely apologize for your experience. We'll be further reviewing your concerns and will be in touch with you soon.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

One lone guy showed up and I was a little bit miffed because I knew it was going to take forever. Boy was I wrong!!!! He was awesome professional and wow was he efficient. Took about 6 ish hours for two rooms and hallway. Looks wonderful. So very happy with his work, and everything.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

Phone service was great. Sales was patient, informative and supportive. Carpet installers were quick, but did damage some of our new tiles and scraped the walls a bit more than I expected (they also seemed a little annoyed that I wanted things to be clean). The tile installers were very helpful, hardworking, and skilled, unfortunately, they got rushed by the project manager and left a lot of bad cuts in corners and other edges.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

My installation was smooth, nice installers. But.. Be sure to take your measurements from Empire in writing. I made a mistake not doing it. How I know: 1. There was too much carpet left with installers (I confirmed it was cut for me only). 2. Sales guy verbally told me my area was ~800 sf and for the same rooms HomeDepot guy measured it to 575 sf (yes they gave the official measurement). That is way too much difference, and I paid for that extra sq without any work. There is no mention of sqf calculation in any of the official documents, so there is no way for me to go back ask. In my opinion All empire's offered price discounts etc are manipulated by giving you lump sum quotes and by hiking price so always compare your quotes.

Empire Today response

Neel,we understand your frustration and regret to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. We'll be in touch with you shortly to learn more.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

I had a contract to have 2 rooms of carpet installed on 11-27-2019. The day of I never recorded a call saying who would be coming, when they would be coming, etc... I called the service center and was told it would be from 8am - 6pm, and I should receive a call from installer by 10:30am. They called while I was on hold, only to come back and say installer didn’t answer. I was the. Put on hold another 20 minutes only to have a totally different operator answer and go through the whole thing again! Still no answer from installer. Tracked to a supervisor who put in a ticket to have installer call me immediately, which didn’t happen.

The installer never called and never showed up!! I called again and talked to another supervisor who was putting in a ticket to have a manager call me this morning, that (as I had figured out by now) didn’t happen either. I called again and finally after waiting 45 minutes got the cancellation department that told me they would refund my down payment. Ummm what about the other $1,321 I paid up front? After finally getting that cleared up I was told my money would be refunded in 7-10 business days. I am not holding my breath that will happen either, so far nothing I have been told has been true!!! I will give it time then I guess I will need to go to a much bigger step.

Empire Today response

Eddie, we regret to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. We'll be in touch with you soon to learn more.

Empire Today expert review by Joseph Truini

The year 1959 saw the founding of Empire Today in Chicago. Since then, the business has grown into a true empire with locations in the majority of U.S. states.

• Products: Empire Today offers carpet, hardwood, laminate, resilient vinyl, tile, even window blinds and shades. Free-in-home estimates are available.

• Financing: Empire Today and Wells Fargo Bank offer financing, including an interest-free option, that charges no interest for 12 months. Another option gives you a 48-month payoff time frame at 9.99 percent interest rate.

• Warranties: Empire Today warranties run a lifetime in some cases, with a still-respectable 30 years in several other cases.

• Outdoor carpeting: Empire sells carpeting for porches, patios and decks. Their short pile height helps keep crushes and dents from forming.

• Installation: Installations are performed by independent contractors who work with Empire Today. Options include next-day installation and half-price deals.

• Best for: Luxury shoppers, budget seekers and people with pets and kids stand to find what they need from Empire Today.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Empire Today Company Information