4.1/5 (687 ratings)

About Empire Today

Empire Today has provided carpet, hardwood, laminate, vinyl tile flooring, and window treatments to more than 2 million customers since 1959. The company brings hundreds of samples to your doorstep, and a sales representative helps you choose a floor, takes room measurements, and provides an all-inclusive price estimate. Professional installers can install in-stock styles as soon as the next day. The company offers competitive prices and comprehensive warranties.

Pros

• Professional measurements
  • 1-year limited installation warranty
  • Brings product samples to your home

Cons

• Limited financing options
  • Consultation required for estimate

Bottom Line

Empire Today brings the shopping experience to you with its in-home consultations and professional flooring specialists. Price quotes are only available after an appointment, but there is no obligation to buy.

Top Empire Today Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We had hardwood installed in my living room and hallway. The sales rep from Empire was pretty good. The installation took two days and it went very well. We had a lot going on tha...

Verified

… The installers did a good job. They came in and out, spent a lot of time, and took care of everything, moving my furniture easily. They took precautions not to break or damage a...

What is Empire Today?

Empire Today offers floor and window renovations for residential and commercial customers. To get started with Empire Today, visit its website to schedule a personalized shopping experience. All of Empire Today’s consultations take place in your home, which lets you find the samples that best match the decor in your home under your own lighting.

During the initial consultation, Empire’s independent contractor measures the room and provides a price estimate. Because measurements are taken before you purchase the materials, Empire Today can ensure that customers get the right amount of flooring needed for the job. All of the company’s installation services include a one-year limited warranty.

Empire Today also offers online tools to make interior decorating easier. The “See a Floor in Your Room” function on its website lets you upload a picture of your room and try different flooring options before scheduling a consultation. In addition, customers can see photos to use as inspiration for different rooms.

Empire flooring prices

While an in-home consultation is required to get an estimate of Empire Today’s products and services, the company does offer regular discounts, coupons and promotions on its website. New customers can get up to $250 off by signing up for Empire Today’s email service.

Financing options are also available. Empire Today’s credit card offers monthly payment options over 12 or 48 months with a 9.99% APR through Wells Fargo Bank.

Empire Today FAQ

Does Empire Today have showrooms or retail stores?

No. According to Empire Today, the company “brings the showrooms and retail stores to you.” Empire Today opts for a shop-at-home model instead of operating stores.

How do I shop with Empire?

To shop with Empire, book an appointment on its website or call the company to have a flooring specialist visit your home or business.

Is there any charge or obligation for an estimate?

No. In-home consultations through Empire Today are free, and there’s no charge or obligation to buy to receive an estimate.

Do the products have any warranty?

Yes, Empire Today’s products come with a manufacturer’s warranty and a limited installation warranty. It’s best to check with the company for specifics on the manufacturer’s warranty.

What type of financing options does Empire have?

Empire Today offers a credit card in partnership with Wells Fargo Bank. Currently, customers can choose from 12-month or 48-month payment plans.

Does Empire Today move furniture?

Yes, you can request furniture moving services through Empire Today. You’re responsible for moving small or breakable items.

How long does Empire take to install?

As long as products are in stock, Empire Today can install as quickly as the next day. The company works around your schedule.

Is Empire flooring a good deal?

We recommend Empire Today for homeowners and businesses who prefer to save on shopping time and see what flooring looks like in their space before purchasing. Customers praise Empire Today’s knowledgeable staff and the company’s quick service. Individuals with strangely shaped rooms or corners appreciate Empire Today’s in-home measurements, which make it easier to purchase the right type and amount of supplies before installation begins.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Empire Today?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

What got me was the website had the picture. Plus, Empire specializes in flooring. The salesman, I was okay with. But he didn't have much of a personality. I was in sales for a long time. And if I was coming to somebody's home, I would say, "Boy, this really is beautiful. This is gonna look fantastic.” But he was just a dud. I would have come in and said, "Wow. Look at this." Even if we're not getting paid that much or having a bad day or it's a bad commission month, you still want to show some enthusiasm. When you're selling something, you should be a bit more animated and talkative than just sitting there. When he was here, he gave me a bit of an incentive to sign up on that day. I just wanted to get it done. So, I just signed up for it.

I was supposed to get it done on a certain date. I followed the instructions. I took all the pictures off the wall. I took everything that was breakable upstairs. The sales manager called me and said, "We can't come out tomorrow." Because they didn't have enough of the product and it was a day before the installation. I've been in sales before. I know things can happen. I talked to the guy and said, "That's okay. I'm just glad you called." I had to move all of my stuff upstairs. For two weeks, the house was in disarray. But I said, “I think it would be fair if you would compensate me.” He did take some money off and he was a nice guy. It was handled very well. All that did not damper my feelings on the experience I had with the floor.

The workmen were polite and very professional. And they did a beautiful job on the floor. They did the whole downstairs. There was a kitchen involved with the refrigerator. There was a toilet they had to take out. They had to take out a door. They put it back perfectly. The only thing that happened was I had a pedestal sink, and I had to have somebody come in and replace it. It had to be put back in. It cost me a bit of money for that. I asked the guy, I have a slide-in stove and when he put the flooring underneath the slide-in stove, it was raised a bit above my countertop. So I talked to the guy and said that was not right. What he did was he very neatly cut a little hole around the flooring and I couldn't even see it, and now it's flush with the counter.

I love the flooring that I got. It's beautiful. I want the upstairs done. But Empire didn't help me out very much. I just want to make sure that the flooring stays in stock because it's going to take me a while to save up the money to get the upstairs done. They want somebody to come out and look at it, but I'm not ready. I would hate to have somebody have come out here and do a measurement when I'm not ready. We'll just have to try it and see and maybe I can email. I just want to talk to somebody about, "Hey, is this flooring going to stay in stock? How long will it be? Is it going to stop circulation?" If I could just get a definitive, "Well, this is a very high selling floor. We're probably going to have this in stock for the next year or two or three," I'd feel more comfortable because it would be at least $10,000 to $12,000.

Get buying tips about Flooring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

The sales rep was great. He was very thorough. He seemed very knowledgeable. The installation crew was great at first, and then not so much. We had the contract written up. We were told what was in the contract, and we were told that baseboard and quarter round was included in the contract. But it turned out that the quarter round was included, but not the baseboard. When the installation crew came, they had the quarter round, but they did not have the baseboard. So then, they partially installed the quarter round and said that they would have to be back for the baseboard. They came back with the baseboard. For what they didn't install, they forgot the quarter round on the second installation, so they had to come back for a third trip. It was very poor planning. Somebody dropped the ball at the warehouse and didn't make a note. It was frustrating that we had to schedule three appointments for one install.

I called Empire after the first install to talk about the baseboard. Then a regional manager called me and I missed it, so I called back. When I called back, I left a message on his voicemail. I got another call back from a call office saying, "Oopsie. Sorry. I'm sending an email right now and you'll get a call back from the regional." But I never got a call back from the regional, and that was when the miscommunication about the quarter round happened and the third install had to happen. So if a regional says that he's gonna call me back, I expect a call from the regional.

The sales rep showed us a place in the contract where the baseboard was included, but he misled us. We saw where it said quarter round, and we were able to go back and find that, it just didn't say baseboard. But Empire said, "Okay. Because he told you that it was included even though it wasn't written in the contract, because you were expecting it, we'll install it." It wasn't in the contract, but they did honor it because we said that that was what the rep told us. There was no fight about it, it was just done. So I was very pleased with how they handled that.

The installers were not expecting that last installation that they did with the quarter round. They weren't real happy about having to come back for a third time, and the installation on that part was a little sloppy. But we were able to fix it, and it's no big deal. It was just the result of somebody being tired of it and being ready to move on. But once the flooring was done, it looks good.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2021

We wanted something that was going to last us quite a long time that would look really nice. I asked a handful of coworkers, a couple of which who live in the area, who have dealt with some other companies around the area of Marengo, and a couple of other coworkers had really highly recommended Empire. So we did our research as far as pricing and what kind of products would be available to us. Given the supply chain shortages with some of the other smaller companies, Empire had pretty well what we wanted for about as reasonable of a price as we were going to get anywhere else.

Our customer service rep that came out was named Tom and he was a super nice guy. He was very punctual and very friendly. As a matter of fact, I saved his card because we will be doing floors again in the future in other rooms and we plan to go with Empire on that. I didn't feel like he tried to really upsell, per se and he wasn't pushy about getting us to buy the most expensive and the most up-to-date. He really listened to what my husband and I wanted in our floors, what we were looking for, and our budget. Then he helped us make the best decision possible for our floors.

As far as installation, the timeline was really fast. At the time, Empire was having a sale for what they had in stock in their warehouses, which also helped motivate us to pick the flooring that we did because we knew they had it, so it wouldn't take us months to get our floor put in. The installation happened about two weeks of having our appointment with Tom. The installers came and put our floors in. Tom was very clear that it should only take them about a day to get our flooring put in. But sometimes there would be hiccups here or there along the way, whether it's with the subfloors or materials. So he said he couldn't 100% promise that they'd have everything and be done in a single day. But usually, he said it didn't take more than a couple of days.

Our installers were very personable people but they were a little underprepared when they got here. We paid for a separate service where an antimicrobial spray would be put down before laying the flooring down and when the installers came, they said that they were not able to obtain that antimicrobial spray from Empire’s warehouse upon pickup. They couldn't really give us a clear answer why but they went ahead and drove to the nearest big box store. They were gone for quite a while and subsequently, they weren't able to get our floors done in a single day. It took them about a day and a half to get it done, which is really no huge deal. But it was a little bit frustrating that they didn't have everything that they needed when they got here.

When they did go to pick up the rest of the material they needed, they were gone for a close to three hours, maybe a little more, and the nearest store is only about 30 minutes away. So it took them some time. But the flooring that they installed seems to be very well done and we don't have any complaints as far as anything looking like it’s poor workmanship or buckling. The floors look great.

One of the other companies that we talked to tried to push a similar but not exactly the same flooring to us. They claimed that it was 100% waterproof and it was not. The top layer of it was waterproof, but if any water was to seep through the cracks in the floor, it would absolutely damage our floor. And that was something that I had brought up to Tom. He took very good care of us and he wasn't this kind of swindler salesman that sometimes people get a little worried about dealing with. I gave him my concerns and he was very attentive to those concerns. So if anybody is considering going with Empire, they should make sure to read the fine print on what their flooring needs are. If they're worried about scratch resistance, they should make sure that they talk to their sales reps about what it is as specifically as they can. But Empire takes care of people.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

We had a new house purchase and we had hardwood throughout except for three areas and we wanted to carpet them in a timely manner that was affordable. I looked at Lowe's and Home Depot, but Empire was a better price point and could do it in my timeframe. The salesperson that came out was very punctual. He had more samples available, but he only brought a few in based on what we talked about. I said that I wanted to do the quote and then think about it.

Then immediately, like Empire, a different part of the company reached out and tried to offer a better price, and that was called a rehash team. I was back and forth with this rehash team ‘cause Empire was about $700 over where I wanted to be at, and I was trying to get that price point where I wanted it. The person that kept reaching out didn't have the authority to do that. But they eventually figured out and talked with a supervisor, and the supervisor said, “That's fine.” Brian came back out and we did the contract. He was unable to put that price in his system, but he assured me that it'd be fixed on the backend. It would be nicer if that was smoother, plus if it didn't have to happen like if the person that shows up to the house can offer the best price instead of going back and forth with the main company in a different location.

When we did the install, it was scheduled. Moses, the installer, was coming a very long distance from picking up the carpet to his first job. Then his first job of the day took all day so he wasn't going to be able to do my carpet until about 5 o'clock on a Friday night. That would not work. He couldn't do it the next day, Saturday, but he could do it Monday. He showed up on that day and did a nice job.

But Brian didn't order enough carpet because when he measured the house, it was 660, and he said he uses 800 for overages. It was like the price that I was charged was based off of 800 square feet. But when Moses showed me the work order, he said that it's for 661, and he was literally 3 feet shy. No one could tell me how much I was actually charged for. That was a very annoying part ‘cause I tried to follow up on that. They had to wait an extra week to reorder the carpet and come back and do the last room. Again, Moses came, did his job, and cleaned up.

The whole process itself was aggravating on top of all the other jobs I have going on. Better communication could have been had from the beginning and I'm still wondering if I paid for an extra 140 square feet of carpet when I didn’t get it. Well, in the end, I did, because a whole new piece was ordered, which I wasn't charged for, which was good. But it was unnecessary. If I had based my deadline on the original install on Friday that never happened, what if I tried to move in the next day because the job should have been done? I had the flexibility not to do that because then I would have had to move furniture and all that stuff where I had a totally empty house. It was frustrating. But in the end, we've been in our house for a week and the carpet seems fine.

Original review: July 31, 2021

I had carpet installed in the bedrooms and the hallway. The rep was very good and the installation went well. There was a couple of confusion on things though. The installers told me that they would be out first thing in the morning but nobody came. So, I called the salesperson. I didn't get through to him right away so I called Empire themselves and they said that they were on another job and they would be there after. I waited and waited for a while and I finally got ahold of the salesman. He texted me and said he would check but he couldn't get through to anybody so I called again. The sales person said the installers were stuck on the job. They would have to reschedule. We went back and forth for a little while and finally, somebody ended up showing up late in the day. They were there until 9:00 o'clock at night but they finished.

The only thing that I didn't care for was instead of them moving something out of one room and then doing the room, they totally took everything and stuffed it in my living room so I had no place to go. I sat in my back area, which is like a screen room and it was chilly that night. I had to put a heater back there. But other than that, it was good and they were good.

I noticed a couple of days later that the carpet wasn't totally put against the wall on one of the back rooms but it wasn’t that big of a deal. Also, they had my front door open the whole the whole time, which I didn't care too much because I was in the back and I had my dog in the back. But when they started moving furniture back in, they left the door open. My dog ran out the front door so I had to yell to my dog to get back, which luckily, she did, because normally, she doesn't. Maybe she was more interested in them, wanting to see where they were. Otherwise, she would have been gone and I would have to chase her around the neighborhood. But that was just a couple of little things. Overall, it was fine. I like the durability of the carpet that I got for the back rooms where the kids are and the hallway and in my room. I upgraded the carpet so it's plush and nice.

Original review: June 12, 2022

Empire Today had the carpet that we liked, a Berber, and their price seemed fair. The installers came in, tore out the old carpet and padding, installed the new ones, and moved the heavy pieces of furniture around. They cleaned everything up. They did a good job. It took four hours.

Original review: June 11, 2022

The sales rep was very nice though we were not given much time alone to discuss whether we wanted to make the purchase. We knew we were in the market for new carpet but we wanted to talk financially to see if we were ready to commit to such a large purchase, but she was just there and saying that maybe we'd need a few minutes to discuss it. She stepped out to her car for maybe two minutes and then was right back in here. From a sales point, the whole thing is to not give people time. We got new carpeting and our billing was simple. We didn’t have any problems with Empire Today.

The installation team was fast. We painted our house before they got here and we pushed our install date back to make sure we got all of our painting done. But when they were ripping the carpet out, they scratched up a lot of our walls. It was just not large areas. But it was little scratches everywhere. So, we had to go back through and repaint. Also, when they ripped up the old carpet, they should have brought a ShopVac and cleaned up some of the dust and dirt that's underneath the old padding. I don't necessarily know that they did that. It just seemed like a very messy process. But in the end, they got the installation done very quickly and it looks good. They did a good job.

Original review: June 10, 2022

The installers were wonderful. The customer service rep was as nice as he could be.

Original review: June 9, 2022

There's just one glitchy thing and that was that the installers had to cut the carpet in the front yard and left a lot of pieces lying around on the grass and the porch. They didn't clean that all up when they left. But other than that, my experience is good. My husband loves our flooring and he lays on it all the time. It looks great too.

Original review: June 8, 2022

The quality is much better than other brands. On the installation day, I was called ahead of time. The tech told me the estimated time that he'd be here. Everything went well and they were very polite. The flooring has improved the look of the home in general. But the kitchen flooring has really made it stand out. I would recommend Empire. They are a company with longevity.

Empire Today Company Information