toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

The Home Service Club

Thank you! Your feedback is greatly appreciated. We are happy to hear all is well.

Original review: Feb. 29, 2016

From start to finish, nearly no time passed at all. We filed a claim to have the HVAC unit checked at our renter's request. Renters were immediately called by the servicing company and were out to the house. After a thorough check a part was ordered and an appointment made at renter's convenience to have the part replaced and the unit fully operational again. Would definitely recommend both the home warranty company and the servicing company!!! Crazy fast and efficient!

The Home Service Club

In addition: HSC has contacted Sears and learned that the unit was under a protection plan with the manufacturer and was covered by them for parts and labor. Meaning it is definitely not subject to coverage with HSC and the customer cancelled as soon as he found that out as this is specifically what he signed up for initially with a bad unit.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2016

Problem: Our 4 year refrigerator suddenly stopped working. Being new customers with Home Service Club and reading very favorable reviews about them we did not expect what was to come. The following day after submitting an online service request I was given a call by HSC club stating that I would be contacted by a repairman for service. By late afternoon I had not heard from anyone and gave the repair company a call to found out the status of our repair. To my dismay I was told that they had refused the offer as they were too busy and could not come for a least 7-9 days. Being without a refrigerator for that long was an unbearable thought. HSC never contacted me about the cancellation.

I then called HSC to tell them about the refusal and with no apology they scheduled another serviceman for the next day. The repairman showed up did an inspection of the appliance and said that there was a leak in the freon and they could not fix it because they are not licensed to do freon replacement. I then called HSC to get me someone who do this required service and was told that they would not be able to assist as this was a "pre-existing condition" as was thus exempt from coverage. What an absolute crock. They then told me that they had made an appointment with Sears the original manufacturer of my refrigerator as a solution. I had already done the same and told them that their solution/service was dreadful.

I couldn't be more dissatisfied with their apathetic customer service representatives to their specious claim of a pre-existing condition exemption. When the Sears repairman showed up (a true professional) he told us that the compressor had failed and that there was nothing wrong with the freon. We were so disgusted with their disingenuous coverage and incompetence that we immediately cancelled our policy. This is our second bad experience with a home warranty company and we would never use one of them again.

Factual basis uncertain

This company is a joke. They run a scam by denying claims without good reasoning. They should be sued and put out of business. I don’t even know where to begin with my awful experience with this company. After 2 months of follow-up (yes I called almost every other day, and was either on hold or got the same response from different people or was directly to a voicemail) and not having a working AC, I was told my equipment was not covered and that they can't do anything about it. There was nothing mentioned in the agreement that my equipment was not covered. Basically they are very good at coming up with reasons to deny any claim. The staff at the company, especially Stacey, Amanda and Samantha are awful and rude and don’t care about their customers. The company is very dishonest and wouldn’t recommend to anyone. There should be a lawsuit against them.

Factual basis uncertain

Very bad first ever experience with home warranty company. Bought the warranty as per the advice from my realtor as we are planning to sell the house in very near future. Well as it turned I bought the warranty (where I was promised that all the existing systems are covered) on phone. ~45 days into warranty my central AC unit stopped cooling the house after serving us throughout the brutal summer we had this year in Upstate NY.

Called the HSC and got a contractor to come home and inspect the issue. He mentioned that there is no charge and since it is an old unit. It is best to replace the system as there is a leak somewhere which is not worth finding in such an old unit. House was built in 2002 so I think the unit is ~14 years old. I had annual service done on the HVAC and no issues were highlighted during my last service. The contractor who came out also said there is nothing I could have done to cause this damage. This is due to regular wear and tear.

Well he called HSC and came back to me saying that HSC will review the information with their HVAC dept. and get back to me. I got a call in couple of days saying that HSC won't cover the damage as it is outside the policy. They claim it as a preexisting condition. I don't understand how is it a pre-existing condition if everything was fine through out the summer. In a 14-year-old house every damage can be deemed as pre-existing condition as there is always some wear and tear. Didn't people buy these warranties to cover the sudden damage coming from these regular wear and tear. Please stay away from these home warranty scams. Save the monthly premium and pay for the damage as needed as these companies won't cover most of the large damages.

Factual basis uncertain

My house is built in 1997. So I figured its systems and appliances are getting old and may start giving up any time so it would be wiser to protect against the unexpected. My main concern was my AC system specially in the heat waves of the south when it works the hardest. A few months ago I decided to go for a home warranty coverage. I did some research and Home Service Club (HSC) stood up as a good option. First because they clearly stated that "The Home Service Club Home Warranty covers the repair and replacement of many home system and appliance breakdowns" and they listed A/C among these systems. Second, I believed them and also believed the 5 star consumer rating that I saw in this and other websites.

A couple of days ago our 2nd floor A/C unit stopped cooling so I gave them a call yesterday and they promised to send someone to look at the issue and fix it. The technician came today and said the unit is working fine but is low in the refrigerant (Freon) but there might be a leak somewhere. So he called them back and I overheard him discussing replacement costs with them. I then received a call from HSC and they told me since my contract with them is rather new they think this problem is pre-existing and they will not cover it but they can have the technician refill the refrigerant and they will pay part of the cost. Not only that but they said for coverage to continue I will need to replace the unit with a new one and they started the sales pitch. At this point I stopped her and asked to talk to a supervisor who called me a couple of hours later and more or less repeated the same thing.

I paid the technician his service fee basically for doing nothing to fix the issue. At this point I realized I am not getting the service I expect and deserve from them so I asked for my contract with them to be cancelled. The supervisor called me later and said she will gladly do so and will refund my $45 cancellation fee and even pay me back some of the fees I paid and not used. She sent me a cancellation contract confirming these refunds but wanted me to promise not to write any negative reviews about their service and not to sue them for failing to provide the service they were obligated to provide. No wonder most of the ratings are positive if the company has a policy of buying consumers silence this way. But of course I refused to sign that contract and I am willing to eat up that cost if it will help someone else not to fall in their deceptive practice.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Home Service Club?

Consumer Increased Rating!

Our AC stopped cooling and we made a call to HSC on a Monday. Called the contractor assigned myself and he came out on Wednesday. After a quick look and 45 min on the phone with HSC he left, saying he can't do anything until approved. Told us we had a bad A coil and a Freon leak. Apparently told HSC we need an entire new unit (to include a 3 year old furnace that is fine). It's now Wednesday of the FOLLOWING week, HSC is still in the "approval process" because it's such a big job. Every time I call to find out what is going on I get disconnected and have to call back. It was 92 degrees in our house, we have small children and a dog, so I called a different company despite HSC and got the leak patched and Freon recharged so we could at least survive the rest of the season (something the HSC contractor didn't even offer to do for the time being). Not looking good as of now, I'll update if they actually decide to cover anything.

Based on other reviews I'm reading, they will likely not cover much if anything. All the HVAC companies I spoke to said to "Save your money - don't pay any of these companies monthly!" All of them said they don't like to work with home warranty companies because they don't pay and they take a frustrating amount of time to do anything even when they say it's a "priority" and it's been "expedited". Cancelling service as soon as they tell me what they will and won't do for my current claim.

Resolution response: Oct. 14, 2016

Issue resolved.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

Today marks 5 weeks since our AC stopped cooling in this scorching heat of South Texas. I submitted a request with The Home Service Club and after multiple followups the technician finally stopped by after 2 weeks. With one casual inspection (about 5-7 minutes) he said he will send a report to the company and the company will get back to us. After 3 weeks and at least 12 calls, here we are waiting for The Home Service Club to get back to us. Every time we call them, it's the same response, "it is being evaluated and we will get back to you." I always thought getting a Top-Secret Security clearance had the longest wait time. I guess I was wrong... I am tired of explaining to my 2 kids why fixing AC is taking so long and why they have to spend their life in this 86F chamber everyday. Disappointed with the pace with which my request is moving....

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

We purchased a home and bought a home warranty with the Home Service Club in The Savannah Ga area 1/2016. Our Air conditioning failed so we called for Service 6/24. 2 days later we were referred to a local contractor who never made contact, after 3 days I called them and they stated they no longer work with HSC because they don't pay their bills. I called back and was referred to another contractor.... They never made contact either...

After several days I called HSC and they said that company was no longer an option either and referred us to a 3rd contractor. They came out 7/8 (14 days) after first call... Today 7/13 (5 days) later my claim was denied stating that my coil was old and corroded leading to the failure which is not covered. Worst experience I have ever had - 19 days to tell me they're not paying anything and then referred me to GOODWILL! I guess they might fix your AC if it's new with no corrosion but new Ac unit have a 10 year manufacture warranty so why bother?

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

HSC basically told us that our A/C unit was too old to repair but needed to be replaced. They refused to cover any cost of repairs because the "compressors fail slowly over time and, therefore, this is a pre-existing condition." This is despite proof our regular A/C servicing in the past. Awful, awful, just awful.

Factual basis uncertain

Where do I begin? I purchased this home warranty because I had become dissatisfied with my 2-10 Home Warranty. My home is less than 5 years old and I haven't had any problems with it beside a small leak under my bathroom sink. I had only been with them for less than a month and my A/C stopped cooling my home. Needless to say, I called and they sent out a contractor. This contractor drained all of my Freon out of my system and told HSC that I had a leak that would cost @ $1200 to repair. He came to my home on Tuesday and HSC had not called me by Thursday so I called them. They claimed they were in the approval process on Thursday but when I called back on Friday, they claimed it was a "pre-existing condition" and since I hadn't been with them but for a short time, they refused to cover it.

I canceled my contract immediately and called an authorized Carrier (brand of my HVAC) contractor. Wouldn't you know that after he informs me that my system had been drained, recharges my system and completes his diagnostics - that there was NO LEAK!!! He walked me through what the issue was and my system is running better than it has the last 4 years. I have decided to report the company to the BBB and every other review outlet I can for their scheisty practices. But for HSC to boast of utilizing the BEST contractors as the justification for charging you $64.95 a month and a $95 service charge is a bogus lie.

I think what saddened me most was that they were not even willing to send out another contractor for a 2nd opinion if they felt that estimate was too high; they just chose to assume it was the customer trying to get over. Needless to say I ended up paying out of pocket less than half of what THEIR Contractor was trying to charge and walked away satisfied. Do yourself a favor, keep your money in your pocket or find you an established reputable Home Warranty Company that is WILLING and ABLE to provide you with the service your money pays for!!!

Consumer Increased Rating!

This company does not communicate clearly or treat its contractors or customers well. (If you're shopping around and doing your research, ask to talk to the contractors too to see if they're happy!) I paid for the same, recurring problem with my oven four different times. Every time, the service contractors who came out did not know that they were fulfilling a service via paid insurance. It was confusing everytime and I didn't know I'd have to pay the contractor for the additional costs (as there were always certain parts of the oven door that were not covered, which I learned after the fact). So that's about $400 for each call out including deductible of $125.

To replace the oven (double wall ovens are around $1500), I'd not only have to pay for the oven myself and get a refund from HSC, but they will only cover $750 cash value -- not even half of market value! I wish I'd never paid $40 a month for nearly two years. I could have bought the damn oven myself with less aggravation already. Oh, and if they come to fix your air conditioning, be prepared to cover a few hundred bucks for Freon, also not covered. What a complete waste of money!

Resolution response: June 30, 2016

A representative from HSC contacted me and offered to compensate the cost of the part I needed replaced, so I am quite satisfied with them now.

Original review: June 26, 2016

Our swimming pool control board broke down, so I started a warranty case. They called me the next day referring me to a contractor. Not having heard from that contractor in a couple more days, I called them, and turns out that contractor has nothing to do with Home Service Club, and flat out refused to do a warranty service. It took several more phone calls to get Home Service Club to start looking for a different contractor.

Ten days later they call me back and tell me they won't cover the service because the cap on pool repair ($500) has already been reached. Well, OK, that would've been nice to know two weeks earlier instead of being given the runaround and assigned to a wrong contractor. Now my pool is broken AND algae-infested because they couldn't tell me earlier they won't fix it. It will take a lot of time and money to get the water to good condition again, and it's HSC's fault. I cancelled my auto-renewal and will not be getting warranty from them again.

Factual basis uncertain

Don't use this company if you care about your home. I recently purchased a 1/2 million dollar house with an HVAC system that was less than 6 years old. About a month ago, under sweltering temperatures my AC was not adequately cooling the house. I found out it had low refrigerant, and this is how the company tried to fix my air conditioning unit.

Contractor 1: "I would just spray some EZ seal into the unit, and that should get you through the season." Uh, no guy. Why don't you find out why it's low on refrigerant? IT'S ONLY 6 YEARS OLD. Contractor 2: "Yeah it's low on refrigerant. But I don't have a large enough tank to empty all the 410-A and diagnose where it's leaking from. I'm just going to fill it up with refrigerant." (Tells me after he does it). Don't you think you should find out why the unit is low on refrigerant first, before you just fill it up?? Contractor 3: "What's going on with it?" When I explain what others have done, he refuses the job. "I don't want to work with someone who tells me what I should be doing." Like guy, if you don't want to know. Don't ask!

Contractor 4: "I was just diagnosed with gallstones and can't come over." I sympathize with your medical condition, but why don't you tell the insurance people, instead of calling me the morning you're supposed to show up?? Contractor 5: "You just have a dirty filter. It's up and running. There's nothing wrong with it." Well I would expect that after the previous contractor just filled it up, when it was low on refrigerant. Home Warranty Company: "We're not going to replace any parts on an HVAC unit that is working fine. We just get the AC units up to working condition."

Examples of the stellar five-and-dime techs they have contracts with. Any reasonable HVAC repair company would have diagnosed WHY a 6 year old unit like mine is low on refrigerant. And then repaired or replaced the parts which are causing the problem. But that's not what The Home Service Club is interested in doing. They want to pour oil into a leaky engine of a car and then tell you it's fixed. Is that the warranty you want for your house?

Resolution response: June 3, 2016

Samantha ** resolved the issue to my satisfaction.

Original review: May 31, 2016

On May 28 I had put a request to fix my air conditioning unit. I was expecting a call from contractor but that did not happen. I had to call him on 5/31/2016 and He then came to the property and diagnosed that there is a leak in the coolant and proceeded to put in the coolant. I was not provided with the estimate for how much extra it would cost me. Nobody asked for my approval for the extra cost (Neither the company nor the contractor). I later got a call saying that since contractor had put more coolant (a lot more) than what was covered I had to pay extra for the service. Also the coolant leak was not fixed.

Resolution response: May 13, 2016

The issue has been resolved thanks to Stacy **.

Original review: May 12, 2016

Been paying their service for a few months now. Tenant had an issue with a bad water heater, and they sent a technician. He comes over, check it, and says it needs to be replaced. (Great news, NOT!) Now all of a sudden there are "caps" on how much they cover and they are telling me I have to pay $666 "deductible". The water heater cost $435. If my deductible is $666 what exactly are they paying for?!?! Been trying to get a supervisor on the line, good luck with that... Should have gone with AHS - they cover the ENTIRE THING, you only pay the trade call.

So listen. I don't have a lot of money and when they were called to come out to my home they saved me a lot of money. I paid what I had to and it saved me much more money. It was great. I am so grateful to what they did for me and when the serviceman came to my house he didn't make a mess. He cleaned up everything he did and touched. He was amazing. He didn't have to but it was nice of him. If you are in the look out for a new home warranty you should for sure go with them.

We made a claim with The Home Service Club about our heating. It wasn't coming on. My husband called in a claim on the spot because we didn't have the heat. They sent a repairman out for the next day and they explained what was going on. They were professional and experienced (you knew this company knew what they were doing). They repaired it and told us what to do if it happened again. They had our heat back on and running. The contractor was very knowledgeable. We had no problem at all. I've not been with them since we bought this house and wouldn't have it any other way.

The dishwasher was not working good. Everything they do has been good so far. HSC has good contractors and they have excellent service.

This one time, I needed somebody right then and there because I have children and my oven wasn't working and they sent someone a few hours later that same day. It was just amazing of them.

They stopped the leak and gave good performance. We had a plumbing issue in the sink. The Home Service Club's claims rep was very business professional. The contractors they sent did a good job and were also professional.

Computer board in heating furnace fried and with this on and off weather we didn't want to wait. Sarah took care of us and made sure we were good in a timely manner. Tech came and had the board with him already!

I had an issue with my washer and it just went out. The switch went out and it wouldn't shut off when you opened the lid. I submitted a claim with The Home Service Club and it was very easy. The rep I spoke with on the phone was very nice and very helpful. I didn't have to wait. The contractor that they sent out was real good and I liked him. He had to order a part and followed up on that as well. Since the repair, the washer has been working great. Any claim I've had has been very easy to place the service call and I've been very happy with the contractors that they had sent.

Resolution response: March 10, 2016

After I posted the Consumer Affairs Review, I was contacted by The Home Service Club. The issue has been resolved.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2016

Late December I called The Home Service Club (HSC) and spoke with sales representative Mr. Ronnie **. Mr. ** informed me that HSC was a five star company that prided themselves on customer service. After hearing Mr. ** information on the warranty and stellar HSC customer service, I purchased a home warranty contract. Mr. ** told me if I had any problems in the future to contact him directly. I called him to inform him about my current situation with HSC and he said there was nothing he could do. He forwarded my call to customer service. On Jan. 25, 2016 I notified HSC that my dishwasher was not working and my garbage disposal was leaking water onto the cabinet beneath. I was informed by HSC that there would be two separate contractors dispatched to make the repairs.

On Jan. 26, 2016 a local contractor called me and set an appointment for the dishwasher repair. The local contractor diagnosed my dishwasher and informed me that the wiring harness needed to be replaced. On Jan. 27, 2016, I contacted HSC and notified the customer service rep that I did not receive a call from a contractor for the garbage disposal. I was assured by HSC customer service that they local contractor would call me on Jan. 27, 2016. No call. On Feb. 2, 2016, I contacted HSC customer service again and informed them that a local contractor had not contacted me. I was told on Feb. 2, 2016 that they would call me and that I still would be responsible for the trade service call fee. I requested to speak to a supervisor in reference to the issue. I was told that a supervisor would call me back.

On Feb. 2, 2016, I received a phone call from Miss Stacy **. She stated that she is a supervisor with HSC Warranty. Stacy ** gave me a list of reasons why it was taking so long. Excuse such as: the contractor was on vacation, they did not have my correct phone number. Stacy ** also stated that after waiting over a week to receive a phone call from a local contractor, that I still would be responsible for the trade service fee. While on the phone Stacy ** stated that my account had locked her out and she could no longer view my account. Stacy ** put me on hold and returned to the call informing me that my account had been flagged.

FLAGGED. Miss Stacy ** informed me that the wiring harness for my dishwasher would not be fixed and that HSC refused the repair stating that the wiring harness was pre-existing. Stacy ** also informed me that The Home Service Club was looking at canceling my contract for making two service claims. Not did Stacy ** inform me that my contract may be cancelled, but I would also be responsible for an early cancellation fee. The tone that I received from HSC was very confrontational and accusatory. Stacy ** repeatedly made a statement that HSC is not a home remodeling company and that's probably what I needed. I informed her that I have no need for a remodeling company, just a home warranty company that covers repairs when needed. Stacy if I wanted to cancel, and they would waive a fee for cancelation and told her no. I just want my warranty coverage and my repairs fixed.

Stacy ** informed me that my account is flagged and that ANY other service a call I made to HSC would be looked at with a magnify glass. Stacy ** informed me that she contacted the garbage disposal contractor and they would call me the same day Feb. 2, 2016. Stacy ** also informed me that I would be responsible for the service call fee of a dishwasher they would not fix and for the garbage disposal. Stacy ** informed me that if I had any other issues to contact her directly at her extension. No call from local contractor. Feb. 3, 2016-NINE days after my initial call to HSC for service, I called the contractor myself and informed them of my HSC warranty and a need for repair. They informed me that HSC contacted them on Feb. 2, 2016 and authorized a garbage disposal replacement. I set an appointment with the local contractor for the following day.

Feb.4, 2016- I meet the local contractors at my house at 9:30AM. The contractor diagnosis my leaking garbage disposal and he informed me that it needs to be replaced. The contractor contacts HSC for approval and then I receive a phone call from HSC. HSC notified me that the company that HSC made contact with was charging too much to replace the garbage disposal. This is a local company that HSC contacted. I was told that HSC would not authorize this company to make the repair and they (HSC) would contact a different local plumber to replace my garbage disposal that I had been waiting 10 days to be repaired. I called Supervisor Stacy ** and left a voicemail on her direct extension asking for her to call me back in reference to the on-going situation. No call back from HSC supervisor Stacy ** (that told me to call her directly). I was told that HSC would notify me later that day of who the new contractor would be.

I received a call from HSC later that afternoon. I answered the phone and no one spoke. Several minutes later, I called HSC back and asked if they tried to call me. I was informed yes we tried, but your voicemail is not set up. Not true. I asked the name of the new local contractor for the garbage disposal repair. I contacted the local contractor directly and made an appointment. The local contractor met me at my home and replaced my leaking garbage disposal TEN DAYS after my initial call to HSC for service. I had to pay $200.00 to the contractor that finally replaced my disposal. A portion I was told by Stacy ** was for the service call fee for the dishwasher that HSC did not authorize for repair. I pay a monthly fee for The Home Service Club Warranty. I notified The Home Service Club Warranty of needed, covered repairs that occurred under the terms of my contract.

The Home Service Club took me on a TEN day nightmare ride of back and forth and denial of service. I have never been treated so disrespectful and rude by a company in my life. To not only deny service to me as an HSC customer, but to then accuse me the client of needing a home remodeling service and not a warranty company by Supervisor Stacy ** is unconscionable. My dishwasher is still not working and HSC still has not returned my messages. In the past I have been a customer of other home warranty companies such as American Home Shield and 2-10 Home Buyers warranty. Neither of which, EVER dragged me along for ten days to then deny service and over-charge, or accused me of needing a home remodeling company like The Home Service Club did. If you are shopping for home warranty service, please learn my mistake. Thank you.

I recently submitted a claim with The Home Service Club for a plumbing issue. The water heater was old and the plumber said something about having a lot of sediment in it and it wasn't heating right and it was leaking. The plumber called The Home Service Club claims rep who was very nice and helpful and the contractor was fabulous. Everything was fine. My heater was replaced and I've been really, really happy with everything so far.

It hadn’t had any previous repair and now it stopped working. Customer service is very polite as well as the contractor that came in to do the repair. They replaced some parts and original Maytag parts too. Since then, we haven’t had any problems with it. My experience with the company is by far satisfactory.

Great work. This is a nice company. Will for sure be renewing my contract next year.

AC wasn't the way it was before so I had HSC come out and they were great.

A couple months ago the AC just wasn't cooling properly. I submitted the claim online (I didn't even know you could, and so it was real easy). The contractors sent by HSC were great and did a really good job. It ended up being a whole big deal because it would've been really expensive to fix it and HSC took care of all the costs. We were happy with the vendor that they sent out. They were better than other vendors that we had previously dealt with over the years with air conditioners. We felt like we got a pre-qualified, trusted vendor. I certainly can't complain. It was great. It was quick. It was professional.

My recent claim was for my air conditioning. It was a maintenance deal that we pay for twice a year. When he came to check the system out, he found a burnt plug and a burnt receptacle up in the attic, so he went ahead and replaced that and HSC paid for it. I'm glad he found it because it could have caused a fire.

I received a voice mail from the HSC customer representative stating a contractor will call me regarding my claim. The contractor called the next morning to set an appointment to fix my garbage disposal. Needless to say, they arrived the next morning, replaced my garbage disposal with a new one.

The Home Service Club Company Profile