4.0/5 (730 ratings)

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks:

ARW Home

ARW Home

About The Home Service Club

The Home Service Club, also known as HSC Warranty, sells home warranties in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. The company offers standard coverage, comprehensive coverage and optional add-ons. The Home Service Club doesn’t require home inspections, and there’s no age limit on covered systems and appliances. Annual costs for a home warranty with The Home Service Club start at around $400.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans partners near you

Pros

• 24/7 customer service
    • No age limit on covered items
    • Available nationwide

Cons

• High premiums

Bottom Line

The Home Service Club offers a variety of home warranty plans and add-ons. Its prices trend a bit higher than most of its competitors' costs, but it offers 24/7 customer service in every state.

Top The Home Service Club Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I was very pleased with the way the customer service manager Jimmy answered my questions and helped me make a very comfortable choice as to which plan I needed for basic coverage....

Verified

My recent claim was for my air conditioning ... When he came to check the system out, he found a burnt plug and a burnt receptacle up in the attic, so he went ahead and replaced t...

What is The Home Service Club?

The Home Service Club is a home warranty company. It offers two plans along with add-ons for utility line coverage and other home appliances and systems. The Home Service Club works with a network of more than 10,000 technicians across the U.S. to offer service in every state.

The Home Service Club plans

The Home Service Club offers two base plans. From there, you can add on coverage for utility lines or specific appliances and systems in your home. All plans are for one year.

• Standard Coverage: This plan covers 18 common systems and appliances.
    • Comprehensive Coverage: This plan covers everything that Standard Coverage does plus 15 more items.
    • Utility Line Coverage: This add-on covers the utility lines and pipes that run to and from your home.
    • Stand-alone options: The Home Service Club offers optional coverage for appliances and systems not listed in its plans, including pools, sprinkler systems and water softeners.

The Home Service Club coverage

We looked at sample plans in Texas for an example of what The Home Service Club’s plans cover.

Standard Coverage
    Standard Coverage includes the following systems and appliances:
    • Refrigerators
    • Outside gas lines
    • Sprinkler systems
    • Grinder pumps
    Add-on options
    Add-on options include coverage for:
    • Sprinkler systems
    • Pools and spas
    • Water softeners
    • Roofs
    • Jetted bathtubs
    • Free-standing freezers
    • Sewage ejector pumps

Coverage maximums from The Home Service Club vary depending on your location. Per-unit caps range between $300 and $2,500, and the annual maximum is between $6,000 and $9,000.

The Home Service Club costs

Expect to pay at least $400 a year for a home warranty from The Home Service Club. Most home warranties from The Home Service Club cost between $550 and $750 per year ( $46 to $63 a month). Service fees range from $65 to $125 and vary by plan but average around $95.

PlanAnnual cost
    Standard Coverage$551
    Comprehensive Coverage$731
    Note: These costs are for a house under 5,000 square feet in Houston, Texas.

We’ve also listed some annual costs for coverage add-ons below based on the same home in Houston:

• Utility and home service lines: $239.40
    • Additional dishwashers: $48.00
    • Jetted bathtubs: $179.40
    • Additional microwaves: $47.40
    • Additional freezers: $47.40

You can obtain a home warranty quote from The Home Service Club by entering basic personal and home information on its website and choosing a plan and any desired add-ons.

The Home Service Club FAQ

What is The Home Service Club’s recall period?
    The Home Service Club has a 30-day recall period for parts and a 90-day recall period for labor.
    Does The Home Service Club require a home inspection?
    No, The Home Service Club doesn’t require a home inspection or home inspection report.
    Does The Home Service Club have age limits for coverage?
    No, The Home Service Club covers systems and appliances regardless of age.
    Can I cancel a The Home Service Club home warranty?
    Yes. Customers who cancel in the first 30 days receive a full refund, minus a $45 processing fee. After 30 days, customers who cancel receive a prorated refund, minus the $45 processing fee.

Is The Home Service Club worth it?

We think The Home Service Club is worth it for many consumers. The Home Service Club tends to have higher prices than its competitors, but consumer reviews mention an easy claims process and quick repairs. We like that its customer service is always available and that there’s no age limit for covered systems and appliances.

The Home Service Club Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Home Service Club?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2022

I submitted a claim online for a leaking pipe that was flooding a bedroom. I got one email that said they would be in touch about a technician, but HSC couldn't find a technician so they canceled the claim without calling or sending an email - zero communication. Of course we fixed the leaking pipe! And now they are saying that they don't reimburse work done. Ridiculous -- don't count on them if you have an emergency.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

I used Home Service Club to support my Rental in Rhode Island. I renewed my warranty for 6 years, but ended up selling the home halfway into the 1st year. Initially, I called to ask about refunding 5 of the years and transferring the name of the warranty to the new owners. I was told it would be 'no problem'! In the meantime, there was an issue noticed in a walkthrough of the property, so I asked a technician to look at it. There was a leak suspected in a bathroom; it should've been fairly easy to fix, but required getting into the wall.

Due to the home being in between ownership, it took a little extra time for a technician to be cleared to enter and cut into the wall. The first hiccup was that the claim had been opened for more than 30 days and automatically closed. The technician tried to get authorization to complete the work order, and due to the auto-closed claim, had to reschedule. This process was an absolute nightmare.

I called customer service no more than 3 times in order to open the claim, open a NEW claim and assign it to the same technician, then eventually RE-open the OLD claim. Confused? So was I!! Eventually, the new owners were frustrated enough that they didn't even want a year's coverage (that I had ALREADY paid for!) as they had no desire to work with this company. The technician was completely frustrated with the lack of support and inability to finish a claim that had already been authorized. I paid the Trade Call fee, I had been told I'd be able to transfer the policy, and I had paid quite a premium for the six years of coverage. In the end, the owners paid a completely separate vendor to complete the fix and I asked to simply cancel my policy.

The result? I paid for the claim. Completely. As in, I would have been better off if I hadn't even had coverage from Home Service Club. I wouldn't have had a middle-man making the process painful and resulting in extra charges (the technician had wasted man-hours and parts that were not required anymore). All those charges were passed on to me as Home Service Club refused to reduce my 6-year policy (as previously agreed to) and in cancelling my claim, required I pay for all services. An absolute waste, a painful experience, and one that hopefully will serve to help others steer clear of this 'business'. Just save your own money and have local vendors fix your issues.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2022

When I got this warranty the representative I spoke to assured me it was fine that my home was old and they would cover systems and appliances with wear and tear. I signed up in June 2019. Then in December 2020 my water heater failed. My claim was denied and no help was given because of every little thing they could find wrong with it that they would not cover. Fast forward to December of 2021: a pipe burst. My claim was denied. Cost of repair was $650 out of pocket. HSC wouldn't have offset any of that until I said I was going to cancel. I agreed to stay on when they offered to reimburse some of what I paid to get it fixed.

Finally, we are in August of 2022. My outside AC unit fails. Compressor has gone bad. It's old, from 1999. Technician recommends replacing the unit. HSC... guess what? Right. My claim was denied. I decided to appeal. I was supposed to receive a follow up email within 24 hours. I waited 4 days with no follow up email with a case manager's information. After checking my email again and seeing nothing, I decided it was time to cancel. The only thing I really got from this company was paying a service fee to be told "no we will not help you."

Original review: Aug. 13, 2022

My first time using the HSC was for a Dishwasher repair board replacement. The total price was approx $300. Guess who got the bill? I got the bill. Not only did I get the bill I got two bills for different amounts for the same job. 4 calls to HSC each time "We're very sorry, we'll email Sears," blah, blah. All lies. After months of dealing with Sears billing I got sent to collections. I finally just got an email from Sears billing stating HSC does not pay their bills and it falls on the customer to pay. They only pay about 1/3 of whatever it is if you're lucky. I've been dealing with this for months. "No Worries Just Service"

Original review: July 28, 2022

I called the company to place a service call on June 28th to address my A/C unit. The company outsources the work with various companies. Tech assigned to address my issue arrived at my home and was in my home for less than 5 minutes. Charged me $95 and told me he would get authorization from The Home Service Club and would have to return. I asked what the problem/diagnosis was but he could not answer. So basically I just paid him $95 for nothing. He said he would contact me. 2 weeks passed and I did not hear from him or the Home Service Club so I called The Home Service Club and they said they would escalate the problem and would contact me in 24 hours. Well today is July 28th so I called them again since I never heard back and they simply told me they would have another tech/company come to my house.

They said they would waive the $95 fee but I would have to wait another 24 hours to get an email confirming date and time. In addition they simply said that the company that came to my house initially did not want to do the job. And this is acceptable??? A month and not has been done???? No follow up, no reason, no explanation. Basically I’m at their mercy. Why do I even pay for a home warranty when service is below par? Now I have to wait?? Horrible service, horrible company but worst are the companies they outsource to. They should vet them carefully. Please don’t waste your money on The Home Service Club.

Original review: July 28, 2022

These guys took over three months to fix our oven only to lowball the replacement cost. They came in at the original price of a 25 year old oven. They tried to fix the unit but didn't and left the unit inoperable for three months.

Original review: June 20, 2022

After spending a good week reviewing multiple home warranty plans with several companies and being lied to, I mentioned to the HSC Warranty sales rep that I was quite concerned with the dishonesty and wasting of my time with these other companies who are quick to make false promises to get a sale. The HSC Warranty sales rep assured me this would not be the case, but it actually was the case. I realized after reading the plan, he blatantly lied to me. I made several attempts to complain to his supervisor and the president of the company. Crickets. This company is operating in an unethical manner and doesn't seem to want to make it right. Buyer beware and read the fine print in the plan.

Original review: June 10, 2022

I filed a claim on my broken dryer. HSC sent a technician out and I paid the $65. The next 2 weeks I was calling back and forth with HSC regarding the next steps. Found out that the tech that HSC sent out was a fraud, took my money and NEVER filed a diagnostic report!! After several attempts to reach the tech HSC offered to send someone else out. *(My family was very upset because we realized that we had a unmoral person that was sent in our house by HSC) Finally 3 weeks later a tech came out (did a great job) BUT the dryer would need to be replaced.

HSC sent me a offer for $325 from Lowe's. They have the specs, the only dryer you can get for $325 is a 2'0, my dryer that is supposed to be replaced with a comparable unit is "7.0, so I rejected the offer and was sent to claims. I got a email stating I would get a email with the case mgr info to contact in 24 hours. It is now the 4th day and I have received nothing! I called HSC and they gave me a number to the case manager line. When I called them they stated there was nothing from HSC in their system and they could not help me.

When I called HSC back the rep advised will have to wait another 72 hours before a case mgr will contact me!! UNACCEPTABLE. At that point I ASKED TO SPEAK TO A SUPERVISOR. The rep advised that he could not let me speak to a manager and I will just need to wait 3 more business days! He flat out refused to allow me to speak with a manager. It will now be a month that I have been waiting with no resolution and no working dryer for my family!! This has been the worst customer service experience!! Will someone please help.

Original review: June 8, 2022

My Whirlpool stainless steel dishwasher stopped working correctly, called HSC and they sent out their repair man. After paying his $95.00 inspection fee he determined that the washer motor and the venting fan needed replacement. Cost of a new dishwasher would be less than trying to repair it. After repeated calls I was assigned “Sean” as my case manager who I finally spoke to after 3 weeks. He offered me $245.00 of Lowe's gift cards as a settlement. I explained to him that the cheapest decent dishwasher was over $500.00 and I would still be responsible for the delivery and installation to the tune of $210.00. According to the contract section E #15 it states that HSC will pay up to $600.00 for access, diagnosis, repair, or replacement of a covered dishwasher. He was adamant as to his offer and I asked for a supervisor who I spoke to today. She also was adamant with the $245.00 offer.

We went back and forth as she informed me we had spoken for 21 minutes, way passed the allotted 15 minutes allowed(?). I asked her for the $600.00 that is stated in the contract and she vehemently denied that, trying to tell me that I was wrong in expecting them to honor their own contract. I explained to her that over three years I have paid them over $2500.00 to insure my belongings. I asked her why she would not honor the contract and keep a happy customer and she could not care less. I told her I would not accept the $245.00 as a settlement. I asked for her supervisor and was told that she was it. As far as I am concerned, do not do business with this company as they will not perform when needed and will just take your money. I am extremely disappointed and displeased and very angry with the way I was treated. DO NOT GIVE THESE PEOPLE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY!!

Original review: May 28, 2022

Beware!!! They give all kinds of reassurance, even negotiate a great final price, however they don’t send you the fine print contract until you purchase the agreement. Three months after initially purchasing the warranty I called to fix a toilet leak. 2 plumbers canceled in a span of 4 weeks and I ended up fixing it myself. Then the next month called because I noticed my AC was leaking and my service call was $65. The technician spoke to Home Service Club for authorization without my knowledge to run a diagnostic test, which they authorized and after they found the leak wanted me to pay an additional $180 to something I wasn’t even a part of a conversation. Total cost for a new coil $ 3700 and they are not covering due to rust and erosion. I’m currently appealing it.

They also send tons of emails for advertisement which has no problems getting through but when they decline claims or anything that is time sensitive, it’s in your junk mail or non existent. And don’t get me started on their customer service center, you will only get someone that can help you only when you join, if you have an issue, they are incompetent. Also, if and that’s a big if they do cover a claim the cap is $6000, and it is $2000 per item appliance different from what they initially explained. You will have to stay with the policy until it is paid off. So essentially you are really paying for the repairs yourself. This company is a nightmare. Please, do better than us and find a better company.

Take a Home Warranty Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

The Home Service Club Company Information

2008
        Formerly Named:
        305 Broadway 9th Floor
        New York
        NY
        www.hscwarranty.com

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: