4.12/5
  • 1 star
Based on 103 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution
Looking for a home warranty company?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

The Home Service Club

Our core focus on home warranty plans has allowed us to build a large and versatile service network and become and industry leader and innovator in the field of home warranty plans.We are available online 24/7 and by phone (during business hours) to take service requests from our customers across 49 states. Here at The Home Service Club, we pride ourselves on our superior customer service.

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 9, 2017

143 The Home Service Club Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I have been paying my premiums for 3 years now. Recently, I needed HVAC replacement. The claim is approved on Aug 18th, and was supposed to take 30 days to pay. It has been now 50 days, every week I have been calling them waiting 20 mins on the line, all I get is that they are 'following up'. By the way, their contractor quoted $13,000 for the job I had done for $8000 and they agreed to only pay 40% of my capped amount for HVAC. Apparently there is a kickback.

Resolution response: Oct. 17, 2017

Stacey ** assured me that this claim can receive a courtesy processing of sending me a $357 check because I can purchase the oven cheaper than the company can buy it online. It seems that the company is trying to do right and honor the coverage. Therefore, I can now update my rating.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I filed a claim for my oven and was told that I had to pay $198 dollars after I already paid my $125 deductible in order for them to be able to order it from Lowe's for $350. How does that makes sense in anybody's world?

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

My experience with HSC is simply terrible. I had a broken AC evaporator coil. The contractor came and performed exam, and reached conclusion that it needed to be replaced. He reported no maintenance issue such as rust. But then, a week later the company called me and notified me that my claim was rejected! The reason was that this type of failure is a building-up process over years, therefore, "MUST" be "pre-existing" condition and won't be covered - What kind of logic is this!

We all know that mechanical problems are all "building-up" process. So does that mean, at least to this company, that they are all "pre-existing" and will not be covered??? When I asked "How many years”, I was told "No one on the planet knows that!" AT the end of the conversation, I was told the company has the right to make their final decision! That's the time when I realized that any more words with them is wasting my time. I've been with several different home warranty companies and HSC is obviously the WORST.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I bought warranty service on 7/21/17. Open a ticket on my pool pump leaking water on 8/2/17. No one called back, I opened another ticket and again no answer, I opened another ticket and again nothing. I called them and they said my account is under review and they would call me within the next couple days. I waited until August 10th and finally cancelled. Then I wrote two "1 star reviews" to Yelp and BBB. Couple days later a supervisor called and told me that there is a $45 cancellation fee and she can waive that, however the fraud department does not let her waive anything if there is a bad review by the consumer!!! I told her that I would rather leave the review even if it means I would lose that $45 cancellation fee. She told me that in her records she shows two calls for me, but the people who called does not have any means to receive any calls so they do not leave voicemail!!!

I did not take her seriously when she mentioned FRAUD department but to my surprise. Today 9/6/17, I received an email stating that my "Closed Account" is now under review for WARRANTY FRAUD. This is now more than a joke. Beware of this company. I will keep updating as I learn more about this company's investigation. Please note that, no technician came, no money paid by them or by me other than $50 first month fee and they actually still owe me about $5 even with the $45 cancellation fee, and they opened a WARRANTY FRAUD investigation on me. Let's see how this develops.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I don't even know where to begin with this company. I opened a claim as my AC stopped working around July 20th, 2017. It is now September 6th, and my Central Air is still not fixed. It has been nothing but a battle to try and get them to do anything fairly. I am a Realtor who sells about 80 homes a year in the area and deals with Home Warranty companies on a daily basis. I not only sell them, but I help my clients when they have trouble. In the past 12 months I have had 4 units fully replaced for clients at no cost to them by other warranty companies. They have also covered the cost of a plug in AC unit for the house until theirs was fixed. If you're looking for a good warranty go HMS or AHS. Great customer service and reps if you know who to talk to. But on to my nightmare...

I signed up for this one before I knew which ones I liked dealing with and because I could pay it monthly. I should have canceled a long time ago and gone with the ones I trust now. Getting anyone on the phone is difficult, and you will be on hold for a long time anytime you try. I got them to send someone out and diagnose the issue and they said the unit needed to be replaced. Now we had to wait on the warranty company. After a few weeks of being out of AC, they finally came back to me and said that they would cover up to $2,500 of replacement. While the other companies I deal with do a full replacement, I wasn't going to argue this. That is just policy and I understand. But here's where it gets frustrating.

They quote me over $4,200, and tell me they supply only one brand of HVAC. As a Realtor and someone who flips houses for a living one thing I watch out for is this brand's units. They are made with cheap parts and completely unreliable. I will normally warn my clients when they look at a house with one installed. HSC tells me they will only use that brand, and that I need to pay the almost $1,800 difference out of pocket to have it installed. The big issue I have is the HVAC company they sent out had already quoted me a full replacement at $3,600 using a top of the line brand. When they found out about it they called the HVAC company and chewed them out for giving me pricing directly. So now I'm starting to understand what they are doing.

They have a contract with cheap HVAC manufacturer so they can get them at a discount. They buy and ship the HVAC system to the installer, and then quote an even higher repair cost amount than it would actually cost had I just not used the home warranty at all. So they mark up the bill for profit, and buy a cheaper unit at cost. I have a huge problem with the ethics of the whole thing. I asked to be patched directly to a manager as I know home warranty companies can pay out directly for services rendered and do so all the time. This seems like a reasonable request.

I was told a manager would call me back within 24-48 hours. It took a week and a half to finally talk to someone. Her name was Denise. She claimed to be a supervisor, but I don't know if it was true. She denies they will pay out claims even though the HVAC tech has confirmed they will. She also said they never called him about giving pricing to me, but I know that was a lie as I talked to him right after they did a few weeks ago. She said they wouldn't pay out their $2,500 portion of the $3,600 quoted for a better unit, and that I would need to pay the higher rate for the worse unit or choose not to use their service. Now I am left waiting again because they said all they will do is see about crediting $900 to go towards a unit if I don't pay their markup, but since that feature is for non covered items then it may not apply.

I'm not trying to be difficult. I'm not asking for more than the contract says they will cover. All I'm asking is that they do what they legally say they will and pay out the $2,500 directly to their HVAC technician so I can have the unit replaced properly. I will pay the $1,100 difference. What I won't do is be overcharged $1,800 so they can buy a cheaper unit that will just end up breaking again and sucker me out of more money. If you are thinking about purchasing a home warranty from someone, run away from these guys as fast as you can.

As someone who deals with warranty companies for a living, I have never been treated so poorly or had to fight so hard to get minimal coverage. Had I just chose one of the other guys I would have a new unit, a nice unit, and it wouldn't have cost me anything other than the $100 deductible. Here I am arguing for them to take the difference, but just to replace it the way it should be, and they are saying no. Don't waste your money like I did.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Home Service Club?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

They will fight every single claim you call on. If the problem could have happened before you signed up with HSC then they will not accept the work. Also, there's a $500 dollar limit on what they will help with and this is with all major appliances within a home. Please, I repeat, do NOT sign with this company.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

Our experience with this company has been absolutely horrible. We've had a claim for a hot water heater for over a month and they continue to give us the run around. Every time we call we are told they will expedite the claim and have a claims rep call us back. We never get a call back. We typically wait a day for them to call and when we call the following day it is like starting all over. The technician that came out was so surprised at the lack of professionalism when he called the company to provide diagnostic information and said he has worked with many companies and this was by far the worse.

The last representative I spoke with finally said they were not going to cover the claim and gave some very shady reasoning; however, even at my request the company will not officially deny the claim. It is my belief the company does not cover claims and they try to wait families out because it is in the contract that if we have the work done ourselves it automatically releases them from covering the claim.

Original review: July 25, 2017

June 5, 2017 - After waiting on hold for half an hour, I finally got through and submitted a claim as my AC unit stopped working. A week goes by and I did not receive a call from a subcontractor so I decided to call HSC for further details on my claim. They gave me the number of the subcontractor whom I contacted directly to set up an appointment time. The subcontractor told me he will contact me within 24 hours, as he needs to check his availability. Another day goes by without a response. I call HSC, wait on hold for another half hour, to be told the technician will come to my house the next day at 8.30 AM.

June 14, 2017 – Subcontractor arrives late at 10AM for a diagnosis, tells me I may need new coils, leaves at 10.30AM to get coils and returns at 12.30PM without coils. Since my house was a sauna at this point (90 degrees), he sits in his air conditioned car until 1:00PM (apparently on the phone with HSC awaiting to get through for an authorization). Disturbed that he wasted half of my day and the work hasn’t even started, I get on the phone with HSC, to be told that my unit needed 2 lbs of refrigerant. I confront the technician who nonchalantly tells me I had a refrigerant leak that’s been fixed by tightening some knobs. What happened to my needing new coils and leaving for 3 hours to get the coils?

Even though I’m convinced no work has been done because I watched the technician sit in his car the entire time, I don’t want to argue so I hand him a check for $125 and thank him for his time. In return, I get an inappropriate dinner invitation. I decline and I’m utterly disgusted by the level of incompetence and lack of professionalism.

I did not receive a work order from him, he did not mention adding any refrigerant, there was no cold air blowing through the vents, so he obviously lied to HSC about the 2 lbs of refrigerant that I paid $125 for. Five minutes after the technician leaves, I get a partial power outage so my thermostat along with half the lights in my house stopped working. The issue was fixed within two hours by the city’s utility crew and luckily I did not have to submit another claim for an electrician, as I initially thought.

June 15, 2017 – I call HSC back because my thermostat is only down a few degrees after running all night. Even a blonde female like me could put two & two together and figure out something is wrong. They tell me the same technician will return for a diagnosis (another “diagnosis” that should have been done the first time around). June 26, 2017 - Almost two weeks go by and no one contacted me. I call HSC and after being on hold for another half hour, I’m being told that technician will be at my house the next day between 12-3PM.

June 27, 2017 – Technician arrives at 2:49PM without any tools, looks at my AC unit and tells me I need to cover the cold air return vent. I asked if he could do it for me as I didn’t have duct tape (and frankly, I wanted to see him do something for the money I paid him). He said he doesn’t have any tape either, and I should go buy some and cover the vent with some cardboard. The sad thing is that the return vent was uncovered on purpose by a technician sent by HSC the prior year, when I had the same issue with my AC. So basically, I paid someone to tell me to reverse a job that I paid to have fixed the prior year. I asked the technician if he could do a thorough tune-up and enumerated several possible issues I researched on “Google” to prove to him that I’m not just a dumb, blonde female (as I was perceived).

I offered to pay extra money for any maintenance issue that is not covered by HSC. He said he can’t think of any issues and guaranteed my AC will run properly once I cover the return vent. He saw that I was getting extremely annoyed and to calm me down, he condescendingly offered to give me a hug, which again, I found extremely uncomfortable and off-putting. He left again without lifting one finger and his departure greeting was “bye babe.”

June 27, 2017 – Talked to an operator at HSC and requested to speak with a manager but I have been told someone will contact me within 48 hours, as she cannot directly transfer me to management. June 28, 2017 – Talked to another operator at HSC and requested to speak with a manager yet again. I have been told someone would contact me right away. June 30, 2017 – Received a phone call from a supervisor named N. ** (email: **; phone: **) and requested a refund as well as a cancellation of my policy. July 25, 2017 – I have not heard back from anyone. I will definitely file a claim with BBB and write my experience on their Facebook page. This company is a scam and I strongly discourage anyone from purchasing their policy!!!

Original review: June 30, 2017

HSC customer service and performance is horrible! I submitted a claim online in 05/2017 for AC repair. They never got back to me. It wasn't until I called them they started to work on my request. By the way, every time I call them I'm on hold at least 15 minutes before speaking with someone. Even though they started the request after I called, the service contractor they assigned never contacted me. I had to call the contractor myself at which point he told me he doesn't know why they assigned him because he is too far away. So I had to call HSC and request they assign another company.

By this point, it has been weeks since my initial request and I still don't have AC. The second contractor comes out "fixes" the problem and I pay $500. Two days later my AC stops working again. I call HSC and the service contractor back for another visit. The contractor comes back and says further repair is needed but HSC needs to approve before he does any work. HSC takes another week to approve the service. Then they tell me I have to pay for another service visit. HSC has terrible customer service, uses questionable contractors and has overall bad service.

Resolution response: July 31, 2017

First off, please disregard review posted by me on 6/27/17. After getting to speak to senior supervisor Stacey **, our issue has been resolved. She was very patient with me and wanted to make things right. She called back when she said and emailed when she said she would, she actively worked to make things right, she is a class act through and through. I would recommend this company based on her customer service and wanting to get things right for the customer..

Original review: June 27, 2017

My girlfriend and I recently moved into a home in late April of 2017 and got a warranty from these people. The home inspection didn't turn up anything alarming. On 6/7/17 we filed a claim for our HVAC unit since it was not giving off cold air anymore. The Home Service Club picked inspector came out and checked out the system on 6/12/17. Turns out there was a leak. Now on 6/27/17, 20 days later, we get told they won't cover it. After reading reviews on this site I am absolutely not surprised. These guys are con artists and I am going to try my best to get my money back since judging from reviews across the internet, these guys are amazing thieves. Stay away at all costs unless you don't mind tossing money away.

Original review: June 5, 2017

We bought our Home Service Club warranty last month. Our AC broke yesterday. We called to put in the claim, and were told we'd be called at 9am tomorrow (which is today). No call at 9am. So I called, and after waiting 45 minutes on hold, the service department finally answered, and the girl said someone should call me back. I asked when and who and asked her to find out but to please not put me on hold, but she put me on hold for another 10 minutes. Then she couldn't give me any info on whether or not an AC service company has been contacted for us yet, nor any specifics on when I should be called back or who I should hear from.

I explained that we're in Florida and it's over 90 degrees and we have pets and a child in the house, and she said she understands and someone should call me, but she doesn't know who or when, that our claim is under "review". This is not helpful, and it's not what I was told by the sales rep who sold us this home warranty. He actually said specifically as an example that if it's an emergency such as broken AC in summer in Florida, they'll have it fixed immediately. This company certainly seems misleading and dishonest, and customer support is terrible, as they don't answer the phone for 45 minutes when you call. We'd like to cancel them but we've already wasted the first month's fee, so we're hoping they will follow up with this claim so we can get it the AC fixed ASAP and they won't lose our business.

Original review: May 26, 2017

The customer service awards made me think that this warranty was worth the $800+ price, and so I purchased it at the beginning of the year. I didn't call in a claim until May and, unfortunately, quickly realized how wrong (or fraudulent) HSC's reputation was. I'll break down the timeline but first, it's important to remember that EVERY TIME I CALL THEM, I'm on hold for at least 15 minutes. On three occasions, I wait so long, it finally just has me leave a message - ONE of which has been returned. My AC isn't working, so I file a claim. The contractor reaches out and schedules and shows up. Pretty straightforward so far. Turns out the vegetation around my unit was clogging it up and they had to take apart the housing and clean it with chemicals. They said I owed them $90, even though my trade service fee is $65. I paid them and told HSC about it.

The AC contractor had to come back to finish up and gave me $20 back. Not $25. I wasn't going to sweat it, but just speaks to the lack of attention to detail on both the contractor's and HSC's part. A couple days later, I file a claim for 3 drains that I cannot unclog. They schedule the plumber for the following day. When he shows up, he checks out the drains and said he needs to call HSC for approval. I asked why they would even dispatch him without approval, but he said they have experience with not getting paid by the company if they don't confirm again. He waits in his car for nearly 1 hour after leaving a message with HSC to receive approval and never hears back - he has to leave.

I call HSC and they say they will figure it out and call me back. I told them I don't want to wait "several hours" to hear back and find out what's going on, and they assured me that wouldn't be the case. After 24 hours, I still had not heard back. I did, however, hear from the AC guys saying my service wasn't covered and I owed them $135. I had enough and called HSC to cancel my service. I waited 15 minutes before someone answered, by the way. I asked why some contractors called when on-site to get approval and some did not - that led to the situation I had where one didn't call HSC even after being dispatched and now I was liable for the bill, and the other did, and could not get a response for more than one full business day.

I received no answer, only that I would have to pay the AC people. I said I want my contract canceled and the woman told me I would have to pay for any amounts they have paid out. I just laughed - she had my account on her screen and couldn't see that THEY HADN'T PAID ANYTHING OUT. I paid a trade service fee (more than I should have) and they refused to pay the balance. Again, it just shows the level of apathy and incompetence at this company. If you're wondering, I still haven't heard back from them - they said they needed until Friday (we spoke Wednesday) to figure out how to cancel my policy and give me a refund. There is no chance they call me back - I know I'm going to have to chase them down to get anything done.

Original review: May 4, 2017

Purchased a policy about 3 months ago to cover possible repairs to older home. They had good reviews, but since purchase I noticed reviews have greatly declined. Submitted an online service request for AC unit that is not blowing cold air 4/27/2017. They called next day to say company has been notified; no word. Then got call 5/1 says another company notified. When I called them they said do not accept HSC or any warranty company and HSC does not verify this just emails them work order. 5/2 I called to check status. They said call me back that day. No call. 5/3 call then and they still cannot find someone to come out; rep says, "I will call you back." Again no call. No AC either. I will call again tomorrow but not hopeful.

Original review: April 29, 2017

I joined Home Service Club because they had such good reviews thinking it would be great to have as a homeowner to avoid those costly repairs that pop up from time to time but it was honestly the biggest mistake as consumer I've ever made. Those good reviews have to be written by employees because my experience was nothing short of a nightmare!

They were great during the sales process and sold me their top of the line plan that covers basically everything as the sales person described verbatim, "With this plan you know ALL you're ever gonna be out of pocket no matter what appliance/system goes out in your home is the small $125 service fee. We'll either repair or replace it." Well after signing up and paying my premiums via auto draft every month like clockwork the dreadful day came when my air stopped working but I remember thinking no worries I was covered. This is why I pay those $55 premiums every month.

So I call Home Service Club to make a claim. I was disappointed and shocked that it took nearly 25 minutes to get someone on the phone to help especially when they answer in less than a minute if you select "Sign up for a new warranty" but anyway they finally picked up and I filed my claim and the lady told me a contractor would be in touch with me. After a week with no air conditioning or even a call back from a tech or the warranty company I called back and waited 20 minutes this time and asked for a supervisor which wasn't even available. All they could do is tell me claim was being processed and a supervisor would call me back within 72 hours.

2 days went by and I finally got that call and I expressed my disgust with how long it was taking and let her know my family and I were living in extremely uncomfortable conditions with no AC while we waited on them to get a repair tech to my house. She said they didn't have any techs in my area and would see what she could do to get somebody out here.

Finally 2 WEEKS after the claim was made a service guy showed up and diagnosed my problem as the fan motor and when he called HOME SERVICE CLUB to get permission to make repair they put him on hold and called me to say my repair wouldn't be fully covered so on top of my $125 service fee I would need to pay an additional $128.76 to cover a fan blade and shipping charges.

As mad as I was to hear this after being sold their top tier COVERS IT ALL plan by the slime ball salesman I just paid it because at this point we've been without air for 2 weeks and I just wanted the nightmare to be over. Well guess what??? The parts needed are now gonna take 5 business days to come in before they can repair it. 7 days later the guy shows back up and installs the fan motor and yep you guessed it that didn't fix it. He then does some test and deems it to be a bad coil and when he called Home Service Club back they said they would need a few business days for their claims dept to review his findings.

So now we're on week 4 with NO AIR CONDITIONER and the tech finally calls me back to inform me they denied the claim so after all that I've got to just pay to fix it myself. I will make it my life's work to tell EVERYBODY I can of their shady business practices in hopes of saving other home owners from going through what I did with these people. They are crooks!!! Buyers beware!!!

Original review: April 13, 2017

I purchased a home warranty through Home Service Club after doing a lot of research. They have very good reviews everywhere. The air conditioning unit on my second level has gone out and I submitted a service request. I have been told my contract was under review since it was the first time used, okay I understand that. I was also informed they were trying to locate a technician in my area to work on the unit. The most recent call was the best since no one has contacted me or come to my home, that this is most likely a pre-existing condition.

Original review: April 11, 2017

I am a Realtor and like to shop around. I switched over to this company because it had such high ratings. Someone is lying. My air went out, so I called on Monday, they told me someone would be in touch with me. Yeah only if you call them. I called back Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and finally Friday they put in the order for a tech to come look at my air which a fan did go out. But being as it was Friday night we had to wait until Monday to call and get approved. So, they inform me they are going to cover the part being replaced as a courtesy.

My policy states up to $2500 in repair on air. Well after the tech was finally contacted that it was approved, he replaced the part. But my air was still not cooling. My Freon needed to be charged. But it's at night so of course the department was closed. So, I called on Tuesday and they informed me that Freon is pre existing and they will not cover it. Basically if you don't have brand new everything when you buy this warranty everything could fall under pre existing. Don't waste your time with this company. I will never recommend them to any of my clients.

Original review: April 7, 2017

DO NOT USE THE HOME SERVICE CLUB!!! They take forever to process your claim and get a hold of a contractor!!! The first claim I submitted for our broken garage door, I ended up having to do their work for them and contact a repair company myself because I didn't hear back from them for a full week. Now our water heater isn't working and I submitted a claim 3 days ago and of course still haven't heard a word from them and every time I call them to check on my claim I'm on hold for so long that I have to hang up to get back to work.

Today, I finally got a hold of someone after being on hold for 20 minutes and when I asked to speak to a supervisor they said I would have to submit a request to speak to them that could take up to 72 hours. Just to speak with a supervisor! So now I've been without hot water for 3 days and still have no clue what's going on with my claim. THIS COMPANY IS A NIGHTMARE!!!

Resolution response: April 12, 2017

HSC did a great job of resolving the issue and fully credited me the amount under dispute. Seeing their quick response has restored my confidence in their business.

Original review: March 30, 2017

I left FAHW and joined HSC based on positive review but my experience has been anything but negative. I place 2 service requests and it took three weeks before the repairman showed up because HSC messed up the service requests. I had to call multiple times to get this straightened out. When the repairman showed up, they did zero repairs and said they would need to replace everything (including simple leaky faucets) which they would report to HSC.

Six weeks later after multiple calls asking on the status of the repair/replace and requests for callbacks which they wouldn't do, I finally call from their customer service saying that my "contract" was not correct and they wanted more money from me in order to process the claim. When I signed up, I got the platinum coverage, so their extortion for more money was very unprofessional. I cancelled at that point and plan to resign with FAHW. They had issues but were a lot more professional and responsive than Home Service Club. Stay away from these guys as they are bad news.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

WORTHLESS COMPANY! I had purchased a home warranty and paid extra for pool coverage. When my pool pump went out, they wouldn't cover it because they said they only covered certain parts of the pump. A couple months later, both of my air conditioning units broke. They had one of their "approved" service techs come out and diagnose the problem (for which I had to pay the standard fee). Not long after, I got a communication from HSC saying they won't cover EITHER unit because they had a small amount of rust (the units are outside) which, they said, proved that the units weren't "well-maintained", so the warranty is void. A total crock!

I had another tech (not associated with HSC) come out, and he said that it looked normal - just old. Of course, that's why I got a warranty in the first place - I had purchased the house just six months earlier and I wanted peace of mind. When I complained, HSC sent me a copy of the fine print hidden deep within the contract saying that rust voids the warranty. The rep also said they'd be happy to find me discounted replacement units, but they never did. Home Service Club is an utterly despicable company with absolutely no integrity. STAY AWAY!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

They are extremely slow in responding to Service Requests and there is no Online interface to check the status of the service calls. Eventually, they will find a way to avoid coverage eventually. I have been with the company for less than a year and made one service call which did not go very well. I plan to cancel and go with a different company. It seems like there isn't such thing as 'good home warranty company'. They all seem equally bad, some are worse. HSC falls under the latter category. Stay away from HSC.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

I'm very disappointed by customer service. My water heater broke down on Jan. 31st morning and I had no hot water, also water was leaking from the water heater. Luckily the leak was not major but I have been without hot water for the last 3 days. I have been told that someone would come out within 24-48 hours, however I have not heard back from anyone. I called again yesterday and today to talk to a supervisor and they claim they cannot contact a supervisor and only put in a request. No call back from the supervisor as yet as well. As far as my service request stands, the customer service rep indicated that it's with the Claims Department and they will take another 24-72 hours to review. I haven't been able to get anywhere with them and I am considering if it's worth my time haggling with the company who doesn't stand behind their motto.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2017

I pay monthly for my home service warranty. I called them because my hot water heater was not working properly. The first contractor they sent out did not show up. When I called the service company they said that they would check into it. Several days later they decided to send another plumbing company named Walsh Brothers who diagnosed my hot water heater as needing another one. They never provided anything to the home warranty company and it now 2 weeks later and they have not provided a diagnostic yet. Do not use this service.

Resolution response: Feb. 16, 2017

Someone from the Home Service Club called and apologized even after I switched to another company.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

I contacted The Home Service Club about a possible roof leak as I have roofing coverage. They sent a contractor out on 1/18, and the contractor confirmed there was a leak. He said they would get back with me soon. Eight days later no one has come back to fix the problem. I called 5 different times and was told The Home Service Club was waiting on a "diagnostic" from the contractor. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed and am seriously considering cancelling my membership with them.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

I recently switched to Home Service Club after using Home Warranty Services for the prior year. On the morning of January 13th we noticed that our gas furnace system was only pushing cold air into our home and was running constantly. We contacted Home Service Club and filed a claim, they responded that they would notify a local HVAC company to schedule a service call ASAP. We received a voicemail on 1/15 that they had assigned the service call and we would be contacted shortly. As of the morning of January 17th we had not heard from anyone and contacted HSC, who informed us they had assigned the call to Honest Abe Heating but were unable to get a hold of them.

I then contacted the HVAC company directly and was informed that they had requested additional information from HSC but had never received it. After calling HSC again on the 17th they supplied the necessary information to the local HVAC company who were then able to schedule a service call for January 18th. The HVAC technician said he was unable to repair it on the initial site visit as he would need additional parts but had to request approval from HSC before proceeding. I have called HSC every day since January 19th to ask for a status update but have received no information or updates at all. Today, January 23rd, I called to ask again and they put me on hold for five minutes before disconnecting the line on me. Very disappointing to deal with a company like this that will not answer their customers.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2017

Do not use this company. I am a homeowner in a suburb of Chicago and recently signed up with a home warranty with this company because I heard good things about them. My existing home warranty had just expired a month before and was looking for someone new as my house is 12 years and we just purchased it a year and half ago. A month after having the warranty, I came home to my furnace blowing cold air. I submitted a claim online to have it looked at as it had been working just fine. The warranty company made no real effort to get me in touch with a heating company but finally I got a call around 12 pm the following day and the company they assigned to me was trying to come the next day because the technician "didn't want to sit in traffic". Well we didn't want our house to be 55 degrees.

Finally I "convinced" him to come that day and when he did he came and looked at our furnace. He did no real tests and came to the conclusion that it was my heat exchanger "which it turned out to be" and said he would submit the report to the warranty company. The warranty company called me an hour or two after he left and told me my claim was denied due to the damages being preexisting. When I asked how they could deem it preexisting without being at my house she said that is what her team decided and it was solely based on when I purchased the home warranty. Meaning that if something happens right after you get the warranty they will deny it. Great company theme!!!!

Now here is where the story gets good... once I called someone else to come look at my furnace, they confirmed it was the heat exchanger but told me that not only was the part under warranty but so was the labor. So this team didn't even know that from the home service club and denied a claim that they wouldn't have even paid and should investigate the companies they work with a little more. Needless to say, I am canceling my membership with this warranty company as if I left it to them my family and I would be still sitting in a freezing cold house in Chicago. My family works with a major real estate company and we will make sure that none of our customers use The Home Service Club.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

My furnace quit working, it is 11 degrees outside, and after leaving me hanging for 3 days they finally told me that they would not cover it. They said they didn't feel that proper maintenance was done on the furnace. I told them I had a company come out every year and check it out. It was like talking to the wall. They didn't care! Please, please, please, stay away from this company!

Updated on 02/02/2017: This is an update to my still current review: It has been a month now, the furnace actually needed to be completely replaced. The cost was $3800, plus over a hundred dollars that I had to pay the hvac company that the Home Service Club (hsc) sent out, so almost $4000 total. In my contract with HSC, they claim they will pay 2500 towards replacement. They paid nothing. After they saw that I posted this negative review, they contacted me and offered me a "good will" offering of $600. The catch was, that before they would pay me the chump change $600, I had to remove the bad review, and promise to never say anything negative about them again, and never seek the assistance of a lawyer, and never file suit. I have respectfully declined this insult of an offer, as I did not want to give up my rights. Stay tuned...

Original review: Dec. 10, 2016

I reported problem with my washing machine on 12/4/16. I called on 12/5/16 to find out status of call. Said they were looking into it. Finally received call on 12/6/16 with name of a contractor and phone number. Contractor did not call. I called them and set up appointment for 12/7/16. Contractor determined appliance needed extensive work and called HSC for direction. Contractor told me that HSC agreed that it was too expensive to repair and that I would be receiving a call with a determination of amount for replacement.

Called on 12/8 and they said they would get back to me by the end of the day with the amount. No call. Called on 12/9 and was told the same thing. I asked to speak with the claims dept and was told that was not possible that she was assured I would get call by end of the day. Still no call. It is now almost one week since I reported the problem. How many more times am I going to be told that someone from the authorization dept would be calling me by the end of the day? What's the sense of paying for this insurance each month when you cannot receive timely resolution?

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Nov. 12, 2016

Problem: Our 4 year refrigerator suddenly stopped working. Being new customers with Home Service Club and reading very favorable reviews about them we did not expect what was to come. The following day after submitting an online service request I was given a call by HSC club stating that I would be contacted by a repairman for service. By late afternoon I had not heard from anyone and gave the repair company a call to found out the status of our repair. To my dismay I was told that they had refused the offer as they were too busy and could not come for a least 7-9 days. Being without a refrigerator for that long was an unbearable thought. HSC never contacted me about the cancellation.

I then called HSC to tell them about the refusal and with no apology they scheduled another serviceman for the next day. The repairman showed up did an inspection of the appliance and said that there was a leak in the freon and they could not fix it because they are not licensed to do freon replacement. I then called HSC to get me someone who do this required service and was told that they would not be able to assist as this was a "pre-existing condition" as was thus exempt from coverage. What an absolute crock. They then told me that they had made an appointment with Sears the original manufacturer of my refrigerator as a solution. I had already done the same and told them that their solution/service was dreadful.

I couldn't be more dissatisfied with their apathetic customer service representatives to their specious claim of a pre-existing condition exemption. When the Sears repairman showed up (a true professional) he told us that the compressor had failed and that there was nothing wrong with the freon. We were so disgusted with their disingenuous coverage and incompetence that we immediately cancelled our policy. This is our second bad experience with a home warranty company and we would never use one of them again.

The Home Service Club response

In addition: HSC has contacted Sears and learned that the unit was under a protection plan with the manufacturer and was covered by them for parts and labor. Meaning it is definitely not subject to coverage with HSC and the customer cancelled as soon as he found that out as this is specifically what he signed up for initially with a bad unit.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 4, 2016

This company is a joke. They run a scam by denying claims without good reasoning. They should be sued and put out of business. I don’t even know where to begin with my awful experience with this company. After 2 months of follow-up (yes I called almost every other day, and was either on hold or got the same response from different people or was directly to a voicemail) and not having a working AC, I was told my equipment was not covered and that they can't do anything about it. There was nothing mentioned in the agreement that my equipment was not covered. Basically they are very good at coming up with reasons to deny any claim. The staff at the company, especially Stacey, Amanda and Samantha are awful and rude and don’t care about their customers. The company is very dishonest and wouldn’t recommend to anyone. There should be a lawsuit against them.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

Very bad first ever experience with home warranty company. Bought the warranty as per the advice from my realtor as we are planning to sell the house in very near future. Well as it turned I bought the warranty (where I was promised that all the existing systems are covered) on phone. ~45 days into warranty my central AC unit stopped cooling the house after serving us throughout the brutal summer we had this year in Upstate NY.

Called the HSC and got a contractor to come home and inspect the issue. He mentioned that there is no charge and since it is an old unit. It is best to replace the system as there is a leak somewhere which is not worth finding in such an old unit. House was built in 2002 so I think the unit is ~14 years old. I had annual service done on the HVAC and no issues were highlighted during my last service. The contractor who came out also said there is nothing I could have done to cause this damage. This is due to regular wear and tear.

Well he called HSC and came back to me saying that HSC will review the information with their HVAC dept. and get back to me. I got a call in couple of days saying that HSC won't cover the damage as it is outside the policy. They claim it as a preexisting condition. I don't understand how is it a pre-existing condition if everything was fine through out the summer. In a 14-year-old house every damage can be deemed as pre-existing condition as there is always some wear and tear. Didn't people buy these warranties to cover the sudden damage coming from these regular wear and tear. Please stay away from these home warranty scams. Save the monthly premium and pay for the damage as needed as these companies won't cover most of the large damages.

The Home Service Club Company Information