2.42/5

Save on Repairs with a Home Warranty

The Home Service Club

Our core focus on home warranty plans has allowed us to build a large and versatile service network and become and industry leader and innovator in the field of home warranty plans.We are available online 24/7 and by phone (during business hours) to take service requests from our customers across 49 states. Here at The Home Service Club, we pride ourselves on our superior customer service.

179 The Home Service Club Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I have some family up in Seattle as I make frequent trips for work, and I was staying with my sister. During the middle of the night we got a really bad chill and the AC somehow broke. I literally searched it up on Google and I found this company, it was perfect because they aren't far from where my family lives. The next morning I called them, and I found out that they have a very affordable cheaper plan. I was surprised how fast they were to come to us and fix it, and I'm so glad the heater is working again.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I signed up with HSC when I bought my house. As with older homes, you just never know what may happen. When my AC went out, I called for service. I spoke to William in customer service who arranged for service. A service contractor came over the next morning and needed to refill my Freon. He also cleaned the AC too and it is cooling nicely again. I recommend HSC.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I live in Seattle where it is usually not too cold but every so often we get a cold spell. I purchased one of the cheaper plans from this company to insure us against our heat going out. We have an older home with an ancient furnace that runs, but we are not ready to invest in another one. Anyway, last Winter we had our first time to actually call this company. We were surprised that we got same day service, which was great. I don't know how they do it because when it gets cold up here in the PNW, it is hard to find anyone responsive. But HSC was able to get an HVAC repair tech to our house and get the problem fixed. We are very satisfied. If you want peace of mind for your home repairs, this is a good choice. Pricing is reasonable and when you need them in an emergency like we had, they came through. Makes it worth every penny we spend with them!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Home Service Club is the 3rd different home service warranty company I have tried. I won't mention who the other ones were, but I can say I am so pleasantly surprised by the service I receive. I'm always able to get through when needed and the service technicians they send out are courteous and knowledgeable. I highly recommend HSC.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

We had our bathroom done by a company that is no longer in business and I can see why. A few weeks after they were finished when we turned on the shower the water would start to leak down into our basement. We called these guys and they came out the next morning. Turns out the company that remodeled our bathroom didn't install the piped correctly. HSC found the probably quickly and fixed it for us.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Home Service Club?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Awful service, please do not spend your money on this company. Look for a reputable company that appreciates their customers as well as your time. This company does not have good customer service and what they're advertising is not what they’re doing, you pay your portion of the money and you wait for your approval that I were told we would take 24 to 48 hours. You cannot look on your website that you log into to see any updates on this company process. The company that they’re contracting with for your washing machine in Louisiana are not very professional either. I had an appointment at 1:00 pm, I had to call the service technician to see if he was coming or he was canceling the appointment. When it had became 2:30 with no calls stating that he was going to be late, I was told “it was going to take a minute and I can go run my errands and that he will call when he was on his way”.

At 4:45 I call the service asking if this is a real company and if my appointment will be made today. I was told by the answering service that she was only answering calls but she will page the technician to give me a call, he didn’t call me back in 45 minutes and said he still was on his way. Needing to say the technician showed up at 6 o’clock that evening. To get to talk to someone for your service takes about 30 to 45 minutes of waiting time just to get a representative to tell you that you were waiting on the approval department and you don’t have any extension to get in contact with the approval department. It has been almost 2 weeks now and I am still without a washer. So again I urge you not to choose this company. If I get this claim done I will not be a customer anymore.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

OMG...I could write a book on this POS of a company. I just got off the phone, for the 4th day in a row about getting the "Approval Dept" to approve my A/C repair. Last Wed A/C company comes out (after 2 weeks of calling trying to get someone out...a whole different book) and submits the repair needed to HSC at 9:00am. I call at 1pm to verify they received info. They did but are "needing more info from tech". HSC rep said they are waiting for a call back from tech.

I call tech and said, "They are waiting for your call back for more information," he said they have not called him. I call HSC back, ask what number they have for tech...they don't even have the correct number, I gave him correct number, he puts me on hold and calls tech. Comes back to me and says they have all info now and have sent it to the approval dept. and it should get approved later today, if not for sure by tomorrow (Thurs). I call Thurs morning, talk to same customer service rep, still not approved. Call Friday...3 times...ironically, I get the same customer service rep all 3 times. He says he sent a urgent message to "approval dept" for my claim each time I call.

Now it's Monday. I call back and get a different agent. She explains they are "waiting on some more info from the technician". I called BS on her and said, "You guys got "more info" last Wednesday." Then she said they are verifying the local and state codes for the repair. (WTF...where did that come from?) I again called BS because all that needs to be replaced is the coil, which is an internal part and not modification to the unit would be needed...and plus they do pay for repairs that are needed to bring up to code, so why do they care.

Did you know that the "approval dept" at HSC does not have phones or email? So there is no way for a customer to talk or communicate with the approval dept. Really??? They only communicate with instant message. I honestly feel sorry for the front-line employees who have to take all the crap that the "approval dept" causes for their customers. If I ever get them to repair my A/C...I am done with them. Buyer beware.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I was hired as a plumbing contractor to service one of their clients. We were told to collect a fraction of our services from the homeowner and the balance would be paid by HSC. The homeowner paid and I have been unable to collect the remaining balance from HSC since April. It is now end of September. I have received the runaround over and over from this company. As a contractor I highly recommend not doing business with this company. Someone got a new garbage disposal for $95. Talk about deal of the year!!

Resolution response: Oct. 10, 2018

Thanks to people like Taylor ** and Amy at the company this issue has been resolved. They reached out to me and resolved this claim.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Company is horrible. Do not get this company for your home warranty. They will not send out authorization for anything. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS WARRANTY COMPANY. RUN...RUN... Tell all your friends...even your enemies. Would not wish this company on anyone.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

If you are a Homeowner - PLEASE DO NOT GIVE YOUR MONEY TO THIS COMPANY. You will be without AC for weeks without any consideration on their part. They will leave you on hold, delay your process and never pay the contractor. This company is a nightmare. I believe the Department of Consumer Affairs should shut this place down. This seems like a Ponzi scheme. Homeowners/Contractors BEWARE!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I've had a claim for over two months. They will not respond to phone messages or emails. They will not return the technicians call to get the repair resolved. The technician told me they have unpaid bills from them since November.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

This company has completely failed to provide the service we pay for every month. When we request service, they do not find a technician. The technicians they find fail to contact us to make appointments to provide the service. We have filed three claims with them in the time we have paid for their service. One was quickly resolved but the other two have been open for way too long.

Our air conditioning claim has been open since July and our plumbing claim has been open for several weeks. When contacted they say that they will follow up with the technician and then get back to me but that never happens. Once we filed a claim for an electrician and they couldn't find one for us. We finally just hired an electrician and had the repair done without their assistance because we got tired of waiting for them to follow up. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone. We pay our bills every month and they do not fulfill their end of the deal. If I could give zero stars I would.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I called about a water leak, which according to them is high priority, it is now been four days and I have called five times and I still have not had someone call me back. They keep telling me they're trying to find a technician. I could've called a plumbing company and had them out the same day. I don't understand why I'm paying them whenever they aren't doing their job. I called about a year ago because my battery was out on my air-conditioning, and I had to call again a year later because of the same problem. I didn't use my home warranty the second time I had someone come out, because I wasn't going to wait a week with no AC in Texas and the new company that fixed it said they installed a very cheap battery.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

This company took over 1-1/2weeks to replace our refrigerator. It was explained to this company I had cancer tumor removed from my pancreas and was in need of my refrigerator due to keeping medications/foods cold. That fell on deaf ears and I ended up spending a night in the hospital due to not having all of the foods/medications needed. Of course HSC blames Lowe’s and Lowe’s blames HSC, but I the consumer suffered from their lack of due diligence!! No one calls back as promised and we spent a lot of time calling for updates as well as having to find a refrigerator.

Why are we paying them if we have to do all of the work? I cancelled our contract due to the lack of integrity and the harm that was caused. This morning I was contacted to be advised that since I cancelled our contract we are responsible to pay back what was spent out! They offered for me to reopen our contract pay $11.95 for next month premium and not pay a service fee for the next call! Are you serious??? This doesn’t constitute makeup for all the money we spent out due to their negligence and me being in the hospital! THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU GET STUCK WITH THIS COMPANY!!!! It’s all about a money grab!!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I have had two claims within the last four months that have taken weeks and months to resolve. On a current claim, which is a simple broken ceiling fan, it has been two weeks since I've had a response. I can't get a call or email returned. This company is horrible and I would not use them.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I filed a claim for a simple broken garbage disposal. I got the runaround so bad, that it took 14 days to get a new one installed. How disgraceful for anyone to be treated this way. It took 20 min To install. I can’t wait to change companies. I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone.

Original review: July 19, 2018

The first time I had to call on the Home Service Club was to fix a broken toilet. I contacted them on a Friday 29th June. It took around a week for someone to come out and look at it (next Thur, 5th July). They confirmed it would need a new toilet. This was over the 4th July period. Then I heard nothing from the plumber or HSC. I called HSC on the 12th July. They said the work had been approved and I should hear from the plumber. Nothing. It's now the 19th, and HSC are not answering the phone. Needless to say, I do not recommend HSC!

Original review: July 19, 2018

This happened in the middle of summer in Texas where the outside temperatures are up to 105 degrees. My AC went out so I called them on Tuesday afternoon to put in a claim. I waited on hold for 45 min and then was asked to leave a message. I called back 30 min later and waited on hold for 30 minutes before it was answered. They said they didn't have my contract number in the system. I told them it was paid for two weeks prior and called my title company to make sure the payment was sent. They conveniently found it once the check number was provided. I made the claim which, up until now, had taken about 2 hours of my time.

Next day, I call in the morning because I have heard nothing so far and wait on hold for 30 minutes. They said they are working on it and someone has been assigned to find a local vendor. I get a call an hour or so later saying they found someone to come out. I asked for an ETA and they said they couldn't give me one but she did say it would be same day. She did not provide the service provider's name or phone number. No one shows up for several hours. I call back and wait on hold for another 30 minutes and have them tell me that the last contractor canceled on me and contractors are hard to come by right now but I am on a "priority list." Still nothing for a few hours so I call them back again and they said they are still having trouble finding a contractor. Meanwhile, I have a friend who's AC went out and they had it fixed within 24 hours so I am calling BS. My house got up to 95 degrees inside around 5:00 pm. I have two elderly dogs who were panting all day and will not be able to handle this much longer.

Called first thing this morning. Asked if I could get someone out and get a reimbursement. They said they can only reimburse back to the contract- meaning any remaining payments I have left for the year. I am paid in full and they said they can apply it to next year's payment. I told them I didn't want to do this another year and she said she didn't know what they could do instead. They said they would put me on a "priority list." I said I am already on the priority list and they said they are working their hardest. Called again a few minutes ago and they said they are still working on it. I asked if I could just get my money back for it and they said they could only reimburse the seller of the house and not give me that money. The plan is in my name, the seller's name is nowhere on the documentation and the check came from the title company. They have no way of reimbursing the seller so they are lying through their teeth.

In summary, I have been on hold with this company for 7 hours the last two days. My claim is considered an "emergency" yet they still haven't gotten anyone to come out to my house, I can't even imagine what they would do for a non-emergency. This place is a SCAM. They will not provide the service that you paid them for. LOOK ELSEWHERE. Just the fact that there are several people on here saying they would not provide service with a bad review up shows how SHADY this company is. My best friend's father is a lawyer and I am considering legal action at this point. If you would like to join me, please DM me.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I've submitted a claim with this company since May for my water heater and still have not received my reimbursement check. They are the WORST in customer service, every time you call them no one can answer your questions. I'm assuming the check is coming via a turtle. I had two homes under warranty with them and thank God this is my last month to fulfill my contract, I will NOT be signing back up for coverage. I may as well save my $39.95 per month and pay for my expenses out of pocket.

Resolution response: July 5, 2018

I was unhappy at 1st but am very happy now that they have resolved the problem now to my satisfaction, this wasn't something I expected, but it does show the commitment by the Home Service Club to satisfy their customers. Thank you for the ladies that got involved to make good.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Last fall, my wash machine was leaking, someone came out but never contacted Home Service Club. I called and said when is it going to be fixed, that's when I found out the parts were never order. About a month later, he fixed it, now 7 months later, it's still leaking, now my refrigerator isn't working. I contacted them 11 days ago, never had someone contact me. I called, they gave me the company name and phone number. I called, they said they haven't dealt with Home Service Club in over a year. I called back, they gave me the same company and phone number. I called back again, they gave me a different one. He came out, said it was a fluke, everything is fine. My refrigerator is still at 57 degrees.

I called, they said he'd be out. He never called. I called him, he said he wasn't coming out because they didn't give him the OK to fix it and hasn't paid him for other times he did work. Also, when the guy came out, I asked for afternoon since I was taking a half day vacation, he said no, between 10-12 am, he came at 12:40 pm, had to use vacation time that wasn't needed. Can I give a zero for a rating. Also, I'm on hold forever when I call and usually don't get callbacks. Last night, they said leave my number and they'd return my call, they never did. They answered the phone quickly when I wasn't a customer.

Updated on 06/30/2018: They knew I would write a bad review, they actually blocked my account but I was able to create a new one to let the world know they are the worse company I've ever dealt with. Still not getting any calls, since they didn't fix my refrigerator, I had to but a new one, I left a message that I cancelled my account and want a reimbursement for the rest of the time I have. we'll see what happens. They haven't responded and they didn't fix my refrigerator and didn't give the contractor they sent the OK to fix it.

Original review: June 22, 2018

We purchased the warranty at move in. The A/C worked great for a month straight of 90 degree weather. But it eventually failed. The Home Service Club sent a technician who spent 5 hrs over two trips with no progress. He told us "he finally found the problem, but needs to get warranty approval". The warranty company said based on his assessment, its a pre-existing condition and they are not responsible.

We asked for an explanation. After a conversation where the lady on the phone literally admitted she didn't understand the electrical complexities, she went on to say that the source of the issue is pre-existing, based on her assessment from across the country, over the phone. We asked for a formal write-up and a means to dispute the claim. She said she had made the decision and it was final. She told us they are not required to provide a written explanation. Then she clarified that no matter what future issue arises, they won't be covering the any A/C issues.

Afterwards, we had a separate technician come out. He found the cause in 40 minutes. He replaced the part and had the AC operating at manufacturers standards in 2 hrs for $900. This work included fixing the damage the previous tech caused. The second technician explained that wires were not connected properly, fuses were in backwards and the alleged $600 repair that the initial technician performed was wasted.

DO NOT USE THE HOME SERVICE CLUB. Their employees are experts at saying "we won't cover that", but have no actual understanding of how the system works. They will claim every issue is pre-existing and not provide any explanation. (BTW, this doesn't even cover the fact that they 'lost' my account info and payment when I first had to make the claim, despite sending a confirmation email with my contract #...) Basically... DON'T... JUST DON'T...

Original review: June 18, 2018

I've had this home warranty for about 2 years. My A/C went out, so I called. They were quick to send a local tech out to investigate the issue. That was over 3 weeks ago!!! I've called many, many times. I've asked for a "Supervisor Call Back", but have yet to be called back or notified of when my A/C unit will be fixed, which is under the warranty contract. They have told me that it will be covered and the Tech will be contacting me to set up the service, but still nothing (2-weeks ago)... If you are even thinking about a Home Warranty or Home Service Contract, STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

Resolution response: June 18, 2018

I finally spoke to someone at the company who is working on getting me my $125 back. I was told that if I post a bad review they will withdraw their "goodwill" and not attempt to refund my money. I would like to withdraw this review because I want my money back but I can't figure out how to delete it.

Original review: June 18, 2018

The Home Service Club is a scam. After months of paying I finally called for service. They sent a guy who was clearly not part of a legitimate business. He came and said I needed a new part. I paid the $125 co-pay and he never showed up again. (I took off of work to wait for him; he never showed and when I called he acted like he had no idea who I was or why I was calling.) Over the next week he texted one excuse after another). Clearly he never intended to show up again. (His final excuse is that the Home Service Club screwed him over on payment on another contract). Now, no one will answer at the Home Service Club when I call. (Sales department answers right away; reps who can help existing customers are non existent.) Now I'm out all of those monthly payments and $125 and still have a leaky washer.

Original review: May 31, 2018

5 minutes ago-Edit This is an absolute waste of money and your time. The plan covers very little and what it does cover is replaced by shoddy workmen with plastic parts only to be in need of repair again a little over a year later. The only thing the company seems to go out of their way to do is align themselves with "discount" (cheap, sub-par) contractors. One thing you will really enjoy is sitting on hold for an average of 20 minutes listening to a recording repeatedly tell you that "your call is important to us."

We opened a ticket last Friday evening after work when we arrived home to find that the kitchen faucet was leaking above & below the countertop. It was the Fri. before Memorial Day so I expected a delay but they were not even going to tell us, until I called for an update on Sat. afternoon, that we had no chance of seeing anyone until AT LEAST Tuesday. I say at least because it is currently noon on Thursday and we have still not had anyone show up... They did schedule a repair for this morning between 8 am and 10 am so my husband made arrangements to go into work late but they stood him up and the faucet continues to leak into a bucket under the sink and a soaked dish towel scarf around the neck needing to be replaced every few hours.

FUN! I'm no expert but water is a pretty destructive force in the home... especially when leaking for a week. It's not very convenient to shut the water off to your kitchen sink and dishwasher for a full week either. (and pay extra for the privilege) They don't bother to communicate with the customer. They will leave you hanging, waiting, guessing and hoping until you can't any longer and have to call and ask for an update... But they are very punctual in taking your payments.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Do not buy a home warranty from this company. They are a joke and the customer service after you file a claim is unreal. I had to call them almost every day for 3 months to try and get updates from them and I was always told the same thing (the technician wouldn't get back with them). They have sent 2 different companies of their choice out and they both came back with the same result. I was told by The Home Service Club my claim would be denied but they would pay some of the cost because of all the back and forth they put me through. If you are going to offer to pay anything you know they are in the wrong and trying to get me to agree with them. I told them today they will hear from my attorney as this is the worst company I have ever had to deal with in my life

Updated on 05/11/2018: I sent a review on this company and the next day I received email below from them. "This e-mail is to advise you that your account has been flagged and will be reviewed by our Fraud Prevention Department. Should anything be deemed as warranty fraud/fraudulent intent, it will be reported to all proper agencies and databases, the account will be cancelled and investigated accordingly. Any and all outstanding balances, if any, will be billed and subject for further actions including but not limited to collections. Any and all good faith courtesies are frozen pending review. HSC provides honest and reputable service and we take fraudulent behavior very seriously. Should you have any questions you can contact the agent assigned to this case.

NOTE: Claim #** has been closed as the issue was long deemed as not covered. Please be advised that any and all courtesies offered were offered in good faith and because customer service is our utmost priority. We understand that sometimes claims may take longer than desired, and sometimes we do have to rely on third party technicians, however our service is outlined in the contract and a good faith courtesy to help a customer in need is not in any way an admission of falsely alleged guilt as was implied by you. We hope this has cleared up any misunderstandings you may have had about our agents trying to help you and their sincere intent."

Original review: May 9, 2018

I had to have my hot water heater replaced and HSC could not find a person to do it. After 3 weeks of my basement being destroyed by the leaking water heater, they agreed to just pay $400 towards us getting a replacement on our own. We got the work done, sent the receipt for the work and I still have not gotten the money. I call daily and email and not one person has called me back after promising to do so. This company is DISMAL to deal with. I can't wait until November when I can cancel this contract and never deal with these frauds again.

Original review: May 5, 2018

The thing that Home Service Club does not tell you is that when you go to file a claim, they will set a maximum limit they are willing to pay for that item. For instance, I was quoted $1325 to replace my water heater from a plumber. Home Service Club said they would pay $400 and I had to pay the remaining $975. This is in addition to the $450 I pay per year for the warranty itself. The maximum they will pay per item is usually only about $200-400 and only after you meet your deductible. Which by the way, they will not replace with equal appliances to the ones you currently have but will try to lowball you with cheaper ones.

My dishwasher that quit originally cost $800 7 years ago but Home Service Club said they would pay $250 toward a $300 dishwasher which was nowhere near equivalent to the $800 one I had before. They are incredibly difficult to reach, at times dropping calls at very convenient times for them. Oh and when I called because I had no hot water in my house, they told me it would take 5 days to send an technician out to inspect. Save your money. To date I have given them about $2500 in premiums over the years and have received about $1000 in benefits. A waste of money!!

Original review: May 4, 2018

I have attempted to submit 4 claims over the last year. NONE have been responded to. I have submitted online through their site, called (no one ever answers), and emailed. I have NEVER gotten to speak to anyone. I think this is a total sham. I pay almost $90/mo. I can't even cancel it online and nobody will answer!

Original review: April 13, 2018

Very slow in their total process. Would not recommend their service to anyone. In fact I've cancelled both of my contracts on two different properties and I'm encouraging my daughter and her husband to cancel their program because of their poor service. They still owe me money on the refrigerator that went out over 2 months ago that they keep dragging out the payment process for an offer of about $400 but I refuse to pay another dime to these people. Do a top 10 search for the best home service companies and they aren't even a honorable mention.

Resolution response: April 27, 2018

The company and I were able to resolve this claim.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I am extremely disappointed with the service that I have received from The Home Service Club (HSC) as they are looking for any excuse to not fulfill their obligations or to force me to cover most of the cost for replacing my dishwasher. After submitting my claim, they sent a contractor to my home who determined the unit needed to be replaced as it had a crack on the bottom, which could not be fixed. He wrote down the model and serial numbers and submitted the diagnostic to HSC.

A week passed and an HSC rep contacted me to offer two replacement options for my dishwasher that they found in Lowes.com. To my surprise, both of the units were the most basic model and nothing similar to what we have at home. While not a top of the line unit, our dishwasher has a dispenser for detergent aid and a few features that none of the proposed units had (their cost was $329 and $359 each). We looked at equivalent options in Lowes.com, and their cost ranged from $449 to $599. Once HSC looked at both options they called me back and said they were ok with purchasing either one of them but that they would only going to cover up to $238 and that we needed to pay the remainder balance (over $200 plus $139 for installation). This is despite my contract stating that they would cover up to $600 for diagnosis, repair or replacement of a dishwasher unit in a 12 month period.

At this point my frustration reached its limit as not only we had been waiting for almost a month to get this resolved, but also would have to come up with more than half of the new dishwasher’s cost out of our own pocket! At this point I asked to talk with a Supervisor and I received a call a day later, from a person that despite my explanation and obvious frustration, pointed me to a specific clause in the contract that states that HSC would only pay for "the industry standard for the required repairs or the replacement value of the unit's current worth as though it were in operating condition".

However, the same clause starts by saying that this situation only applies in cases where the system replacement is needed due to missing or illegible model and/or serial number. In other words, this means that if they can't fix it because they can't identify the model and serial number of my unit, which is not the case. Both of these pieces of information are clearly available, were provided to HSC and the reason why a replacement was required is because the contractor determined that the unit cannot be fixed.

As a result of all this, I believe that this company not only is not meeting its obligations and terms of service, but they also are providing false advertising and deceiving potential customers by statements on their website like: "If we can’t repair it, we will replace it. Get the peace of mind that only comes with quality coverage and top-tier professional home repairs for home systems and appliances that break most!" "With an HSC Home Protection Plan you no longer have to worry when something goes wrong. We will help you get it repaired by a qualified service contractor or simply get it replaced. Less worry, less hassle, less expenses."

"HSC's home warranty plans provide confidence that if a covered item breaks, you’re protected. You don't pay for appliance and system repairs or replacements nor do you have the stress of finding a qualified service contractor. We take the expense and the stress out of dealing with appliance and system repairs or replacements. With HSC you get the confidence that comes with knowing that you've covered this one in advance." Needless to say, I will never sign a contract with this company again neither would recommend it to anyone, as based on my experience they are very unprofessional and they try to take advantage of people.

The Home Service Club expert review by Michele Lerner

The Home Service Club (HSC) offers home warranty plans in 48 states and prides itself on offering innovative services such as allowing consumers to monitor a repair status by logging into their own online account.

• Trade service fees: HSC guarantees their service work for 30 days for labor and 90 days for parts, so if a problem isn’t resolved the first time you won’t have to pay another service fee.

• Fee payment options: Consumers can choose a home warranty plan with a service fee of $65, $95 or $125; the higher the fee, the lower the annual premium for the warranty.

• High limits for covered items: HSC limits up to $2500 for heating and air conditioning systems, higher than most home warranty companies.

• Limited hours for service calls: Unlike most home warranty companies, HSC only accepts phone calls from 9 to 5 weekdays; you can make an online request at any time but won’t be able to reach a person unless you call during business hours.

• Cancellation fee: If you cancel more than 30 days after you start the policy and have had a service call, the company will charge you a $45 fee.

• Best for: first-time buyers, owners of older homes and real estate agents.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
    Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

The Home Service Club Company Information