The Home Service Club

Our core focus on home warranty plans has allowed us to build a large and versatile service network and become and industry leader and innovator in the field of home warranty plans.We are available online 24/7 and by phone (during business hours) to take service requests from our customers across 49 states. Here at The Home Service Club, we pride ourselves on our superior customer service.

Compare Home Warranties, Service Plans

Research top Home Warranties, Service Plans recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

WORTHLESS COMPANY! I had purchased a home warranty and paid extra for pool coverage. When my pool pump went out, they wouldn't cover it because they said they only covered certain parts of the pump. A couple months later, both of my air conditioning units broke. They had one of their "approved" service techs come out and diagnose the problem (for which I had to pay the standard fee). Not long after, I got a communication from HSC saying they won't cover EITHER unit because they had a small amount of rust (the units are outside) which, they said, proved that the units weren't "well-maintained", so the warranty is void. A total crock!

I had another tech (not associated with HSC) come out, and he said that it looked normal - just old. Of course, that's why I got a warranty in the first place - I had purchased the house just six months earlier and I wanted peace of mind. When I complained, HSC sent me a copy of the fine print hidden deep within the contract saying that rust voids the warranty. The rep also said they'd be happy to find me discounted replacement units, but they never did. Home Service Club is an utterly despicable company with absolutely no integrity. STAY AWAY!!

They are extremely slow in responding to Service Requests and there is no Online interface to check the status of the service calls. Eventually, they will find a way to avoid coverage eventually. I have been with the company for less than a year and made one service call which did not go very well. I plan to cancel and go with a different company. It seems like there isn't such thing as 'good home warranty company'. They all seem equally bad, some are worse. HSC falls under the latter category. Stay away from HSC.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I'm very disappointed by customer service. My water heater broke down on Jan. 31st morning and I had no hot water, also water was leaking from the water heater. Luckily the leak was not major but I have been without hot water for the last 3 days. I have been told that someone would come out within 24-48 hours, however I have not heard back from anyone. I called again yesterday and today to talk to a supervisor and they claim they cannot contact a supervisor and only put in a request. No call back from the supervisor as yet as well. As far as my service request stands, the customer service rep indicated that it's with the Claims Department and they will take another 24-72 hours to review. I haven't been able to get anywhere with them and I am considering if it's worth my time haggling with the company who doesn't stand behind their motto.

I pay monthly for my home service warranty. I called them because my hot water heater was not working properly. The first contractor they sent out did not show up. When I called the service company they said that they would check into it. Several days later they decided to send another plumbing company named Walsh Brothers who diagnosed my hot water heater as needing another one. They never provided anything to the home warranty company and it now 2 weeks later and they have not provided a diagnostic yet. Do not use this service.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Someone from the Home Service Club called and apologized even after I switched to another company.

Andre of Houston, TX on

Original Review

I contacted The Home Service Club about a possible roof leak as I have roofing coverage. They sent a contractor out on 1/18, and the contractor confirmed there was a leak. He said they would get back with me soon. Eight days later no one has come back to fix the problem. I called 5 different times and was told The Home Service Club was waiting on a "diagnostic" from the contractor. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed and am seriously considering cancelling my membership with them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Home Service Club?

Consumer Increased Rating!

I recently switched to Home Service Club after using Home Warranty Services for the prior year. On the morning of January 13th we noticed that our gas furnace system was only pushing cold air into our home and was running constantly. We contacted Home Service Club and filed a claim, they responded that they would notify a local HVAC company to schedule a service call ASAP. We received a voicemail on 1/15 that they had assigned the service call and we would be contacted shortly. As of the morning of January 17th we had not heard from anyone and contacted HSC, who informed us they had assigned the call to Honest Abe Heating but were unable to get a hold of them.

I then contacted the HVAC company directly and was informed that they had requested additional information from HSC but had never received it. After calling HSC again on the 17th they supplied the necessary information to the local HVAC company who were then able to schedule a service call for January 18th. The HVAC technician said he was unable to repair it on the initial site visit as he would need additional parts but had to request approval from HSC before proceeding. I have called HSC every day since January 19th to ask for a status update but have received no information or updates at all. Today, January 23rd, I called to ask again and they put me on hold for five minutes before disconnecting the line on me. Very disappointing to deal with a company like this that will not answer their customers.

Do not use this company. I am a homeowner in a suburb of Chicago and recently signed up with a home warranty with this company because I heard good things about them. My existing home warranty had just expired a month before and was looking for someone new as my house is 12 years and we just purchased it a year and half ago. A month after having the warranty, I came home to my furnace blowing cold air. I submitted a claim online to have it looked at as it had been working just fine. The warranty company made no real effort to get me in touch with a heating company but finally I got a call around 12 pm the following day and the company they assigned to me was trying to come the next day because the technician "didn't want to sit in traffic". Well we didn't want our house to be 55 degrees.

Finally I "convinced" him to come that day and when he did he came and looked at our furnace. He did no real tests and came to the conclusion that it was my heat exchanger "which it turned out to be" and said he would submit the report to the warranty company. The warranty company called me an hour or two after he left and told me my claim was denied due to the damages being preexisting. When I asked how they could deem it preexisting without being at my house she said that is what her team decided and it was solely based on when I purchased the home warranty. Meaning that if something happens right after you get the warranty they will deny it. Great company theme!!!!

Now here is where the story gets good... once I called someone else to come look at my furnace, they confirmed it was the heat exchanger but told me that not only was the part under warranty but so was the labor. So this team didn't even know that from the home service club and denied a claim that they wouldn't have even paid and should investigate the companies they work with a little more. Needless to say, I am canceling my membership with this warranty company as if I left it to them my family and I would be still sitting in a freezing cold house in Chicago. My family works with a major real estate company and we will make sure that none of our customers use The Home Service Club.

My furnace quit working, it is 11 degrees outside, and after leaving me hanging for 3 days they finally told me that they would not cover it. They said they didn't feel that proper maintenance was done on the furnace. I told them I had a company come out every year and check it out. It was like talking to the wall. They didn't care! Please, please, please, stay away from this company!

Updated on 02/02/2017: This is an update to my still current review: It has been a month now, the furnace actually needed to be completely replaced. The cost was $3800, plus over a hundred dollars that I had to pay the hvac company that the Home Service Club (hsc) sent out, so almost $4000 total. In my contract with HSC, they claim they will pay 2500 towards replacement. They paid nothing. After they saw that I posted this negative review, they contacted me and offered me a "good will" offering of $600. The catch was, that before they would pay me the chump change $600, I had to remove the bad review, and promise to never say anything negative about them again, and never seek the assistance of a lawyer, and never file suit. I have respectfully declined this insult of an offer, as I did not want to give up my rights. Stay tuned...

Consumer Increased Rating!

I reported problem with my washing machine on 12/4/16. I called on 12/5/16 to find out status of call. Said they were looking into it. Finally received call on 12/6/16 with name of a contractor and phone number. Contractor did not call. I called them and set up appointment for 12/7/16. Contractor determined appliance needed extensive work and called HSC for direction. Contractor told me that HSC agreed that it was too expensive to repair and that I would be receiving a call with a determination of amount for replacement.

Called on 12/8 and they said they would get back to me by the end of the day with the amount. No call. Called on 12/9 and was told the same thing. I asked to speak with the claims dept and was told that was not possible that she was assured I would get call by end of the day. Still no call. It is now almost one week since I reported the problem. How many more times am I going to be told that someone from the authorization dept would be calling me by the end of the day? What's the sense of paying for this insurance each month when you cannot receive timely resolution?

Problem: Our 4 year refrigerator suddenly stopped working. Being new customers with Home Service Club and reading very favorable reviews about them we did not expect what was to come. The following day after submitting an online service request I was given a call by HSC club stating that I would be contacted by a repairman for service. By late afternoon I had not heard from anyone and gave the repair company a call to found out the status of our repair. To my dismay I was told that they had refused the offer as they were too busy and could not come for a least 7-9 days. Being without a refrigerator for that long was an unbearable thought. HSC never contacted me about the cancellation.

I then called HSC to tell them about the refusal and with no apology they scheduled another serviceman for the next day. The repairman showed up did an inspection of the appliance and said that there was a leak in the freon and they could not fix it because they are not licensed to do freon replacement. I then called HSC to get me someone who do this required service and was told that they would not be able to assist as this was a "pre-existing condition" as was thus exempt from coverage. What an absolute crock. They then told me that they had made an appointment with Sears the original manufacturer of my refrigerator as a solution. I had already done the same and told them that their solution/service was dreadful.

I couldn't be more dissatisfied with their apathetic customer service representatives to their specious claim of a pre-existing condition exemption. When the Sears repairman showed up (a true professional) he told us that the compressor had failed and that there was nothing wrong with the freon. We were so disgusted with their disingenuous coverage and incompetence that we immediately cancelled our policy. This is our second bad experience with a home warranty company and we would never use one of them again.

In addition: HSC has contacted Sears and learned that the unit was under a protection plan with the manufacturer and was covered by them for parts and labor. Meaning it is definitely not subject to coverage with HSC and the customer cancelled as soon as he found that out as this is specifically what he signed up for initially with a bad unit.

This company is a joke. They run a scam by denying claims without good reasoning. They should be sued and put out of business. I don’t even know where to begin with my awful experience with this company. After 2 months of follow-up (yes I called almost every other day, and was either on hold or got the same response from different people or was directly to a voicemail) and not having a working AC, I was told my equipment was not covered and that they can't do anything about it. There was nothing mentioned in the agreement that my equipment was not covered. Basically they are very good at coming up with reasons to deny any claim. The staff at the company, especially Stacey, Amanda and Samantha are awful and rude and don’t care about their customers. The company is very dishonest and wouldn’t recommend to anyone. There should be a lawsuit against them.

Very bad first ever experience with home warranty company. Bought the warranty as per the advice from my realtor as we are planning to sell the house in very near future. Well as it turned I bought the warranty (where I was promised that all the existing systems are covered) on phone. ~45 days into warranty my central AC unit stopped cooling the house after serving us throughout the brutal summer we had this year in Upstate NY.

Called the HSC and got a contractor to come home and inspect the issue. He mentioned that there is no charge and since it is an old unit. It is best to replace the system as there is a leak somewhere which is not worth finding in such an old unit. House was built in 2002 so I think the unit is ~14 years old. I had annual service done on the HVAC and no issues were highlighted during my last service. The contractor who came out also said there is nothing I could have done to cause this damage. This is due to regular wear and tear.

Well he called HSC and came back to me saying that HSC will review the information with their HVAC dept. and get back to me. I got a call in couple of days saying that HSC won't cover the damage as it is outside the policy. They claim it as a preexisting condition. I don't understand how is it a pre-existing condition if everything was fine through out the summer. In a 14-year-old house every damage can be deemed as pre-existing condition as there is always some wear and tear. Didn't people buy these warranties to cover the sudden damage coming from these regular wear and tear. Please stay away from these home warranty scams. Save the monthly premium and pay for the damage as needed as these companies won't cover most of the large damages.

My house is built in 1997. So I figured its systems and appliances are getting old and may start giving up any time so it would be wiser to protect against the unexpected. My main concern was my AC system specially in the heat waves of the south when it works the hardest. A few months ago I decided to go for a home warranty coverage. I did some research and Home Service Club (HSC) stood up as a good option. First because they clearly stated that "The Home Service Club Home Warranty covers the repair and replacement of many home system and appliance breakdowns" and they listed A/C among these systems. Second, I believed them and also believed the 5 star consumer rating that I saw in this and other websites.

A couple of days ago our 2nd floor A/C unit stopped cooling so I gave them a call yesterday and they promised to send someone to look at the issue and fix it. The technician came today and said the unit is working fine but is low in the refrigerant (Freon) but there might be a leak somewhere. So he called them back and I overheard him discussing replacement costs with them. I then received a call from HSC and they told me since my contract with them is rather new they think this problem is pre-existing and they will not cover it but they can have the technician refill the refrigerant and they will pay part of the cost. Not only that but they said for coverage to continue I will need to replace the unit with a new one and they started the sales pitch. At this point I stopped her and asked to talk to a supervisor who called me a couple of hours later and more or less repeated the same thing.

I paid the technician his service fee basically for doing nothing to fix the issue. At this point I realized I am not getting the service I expect and deserve from them so I asked for my contract with them to be cancelled. The supervisor called me later and said she will gladly do so and will refund my $45 cancellation fee and even pay me back some of the fees I paid and not used. She sent me a cancellation contract confirming these refunds but wanted me to promise not to write any negative reviews about their service and not to sue them for failing to provide the service they were obligated to provide. No wonder most of the ratings are positive if the company has a policy of buying consumers silence this way. But of course I refused to sign that contract and I am willing to eat up that cost if it will help someone else not to fall in their deceptive practice.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Our AC stopped cooling and we made a call to HSC on a Monday. Called the contractor assigned myself and he came out on Wednesday. After a quick look and 45 min on the phone with HSC he left, saying he can't do anything until approved. Told us we had a bad A coil and a Freon leak. Apparently told HSC we need an entire new unit (to include a 3 year old furnace that is fine). It's now Wednesday of the FOLLOWING week, HSC is still in the "approval process" because it's such a big job. Every time I call to find out what is going on I get disconnected and have to call back. It was 92 degrees in our house, we have small children and a dog, so I called a different company despite HSC and got the leak patched and Freon recharged so we could at least survive the rest of the season (something the HSC contractor didn't even offer to do for the time being). Not looking good as of now, I'll update if they actually decide to cover anything.

Based on other reviews I'm reading, they will likely not cover much if anything. All the HVAC companies I spoke to said to "Save your money - don't pay any of these companies monthly!" All of them said they don't like to work with home warranty companies because they don't pay and they take a frustrating amount of time to do anything even when they say it's a "priority" and it's been "expedited". Cancelling service as soon as they tell me what they will and won't do for my current claim.

Issue resolved.

Suresh of San Antonio, TX on

Original Review

Today marks 5 weeks since our AC stopped cooling in this scorching heat of South Texas. I submitted a request with The Home Service Club and after multiple followups the technician finally stopped by after 2 weeks. With one casual inspection (about 5-7 minutes) he said he will send a report to the company and the company will get back to us. After 3 weeks and at least 12 calls, here we are waiting for The Home Service Club to get back to us. Every time we call them, it's the same response, "it is being evaluated and we will get back to you." I always thought getting a Top-Secret Security clearance had the longest wait time. I guess I was wrong... I am tired of explaining to my 2 kids why fixing AC is taking so long and why they have to spend their life in this 86F chamber everyday. Disappointed with the pace with which my request is moving....

We purchased a home and bought a home warranty with the Home Service Club in The Savannah Ga area 1/2016. Our Air conditioning failed so we called for Service 6/24. 2 days later we were referred to a local contractor who never made contact, after 3 days I called them and they stated they no longer work with HSC because they don't pay their bills. I called back and was referred to another contractor.... They never made contact either...

After several days I called HSC and they said that company was no longer an option either and referred us to a 3rd contractor. They came out 7/8 (14 days) after first call... Today 7/13 (5 days) later my claim was denied stating that my coil was old and corroded leading to the failure which is not covered. Worst experience I have ever had - 19 days to tell me they're not paying anything and then referred me to GOODWILL! I guess they might fix your AC if it's new with no corrosion but new Ac unit have a 10 year manufacture warranty so why bother?

HSC basically told us that our A/C unit was too old to repair but needed to be replaced. They refused to cover any cost of repairs because the "compressors fail slowly over time and, therefore, this is a pre-existing condition." This is despite proof our regular A/C servicing in the past. Awful, awful, just awful.

Where do I begin? I purchased this home warranty because I had become dissatisfied with my 2-10 Home Warranty. My home is less than 5 years old and I haven't had any problems with it beside a small leak under my bathroom sink. I had only been with them for less than a month and my A/C stopped cooling my home. Needless to say, I called and they sent out a contractor. This contractor drained all of my Freon out of my system and told HSC that I had a leak that would cost @ $1200 to repair. He came to my home on Tuesday and HSC had not called me by Thursday so I called them. They claimed they were in the approval process on Thursday but when I called back on Friday, they claimed it was a "pre-existing condition" and since I hadn't been with them but for a short time, they refused to cover it.

I canceled my contract immediately and called an authorized Carrier (brand of my HVAC) contractor. Wouldn't you know that after he informs me that my system had been drained, recharges my system and completes his diagnostics - that there was NO LEAK!!! He walked me through what the issue was and my system is running better than it has the last 4 years. I have decided to report the company to the BBB and every other review outlet I can for their scheisty practices. But for HSC to boast of utilizing the BEST contractors as the justification for charging you $64.95 a month and a $95 service charge is a bogus lie.

I think what saddened me most was that they were not even willing to send out another contractor for a 2nd opinion if they felt that estimate was too high; they just chose to assume it was the customer trying to get over. Needless to say I ended up paying out of pocket less than half of what THEIR Contractor was trying to charge and walked away satisfied. Do yourself a favor, keep your money in your pocket or find you an established reputable Home Warranty Company that is WILLING and ABLE to provide you with the service your money pays for!!!

Consumer Increased Rating!

This company does not communicate clearly or treat its contractors or customers well. (If you're shopping around and doing your research, ask to talk to the contractors too to see if they're happy!) I paid for the same, recurring problem with my oven four different times. Every time, the service contractors who came out did not know that they were fulfilling a service via paid insurance. It was confusing everytime and I didn't know I'd have to pay the contractor for the additional costs (as there were always certain parts of the oven door that were not covered, which I learned after the fact). So that's about $400 for each call out including deductible of $125.

To replace the oven (double wall ovens are around $1500), I'd not only have to pay for the oven myself and get a refund from HSC, but they will only cover $750 cash value -- not even half of market value! I wish I'd never paid $40 a month for nearly two years. I could have bought the damn oven myself with less aggravation already. Oh, and if they come to fix your air conditioning, be prepared to cover a few hundred bucks for Freon, also not covered. What a complete waste of money!

Consumer Increased Rating!

A representative from HSC contacted me and offered to compensate the cost of the part I needed replaced, so I am quite satisfied with them now.

Ilya of Round Rock, TX on

Original Review

Our swimming pool control board broke down, so I started a warranty case. They called me the next day referring me to a contractor. Not having heard from that contractor in a couple more days, I called them, and turns out that contractor has nothing to do with Home Service Club, and flat out refused to do a warranty service. It took several more phone calls to get Home Service Club to start looking for a different contractor.

Ten days later they call me back and tell me they won't cover the service because the cap on pool repair ($500) has already been reached. Well, OK, that would've been nice to know two weeks earlier instead of being given the runaround and assigned to a wrong contractor. Now my pool is broken AND algae-infested because they couldn't tell me earlier they won't fix it. It will take a lot of time and money to get the water to good condition again, and it's HSC's fault. I cancelled my auto-renewal and will not be getting warranty from them again.

Don't use this company if you care about your home. I recently purchased a 1/2 million dollar house with an HVAC system that was less than 6 years old. About a month ago, under sweltering temperatures my AC was not adequately cooling the house. I found out it had low refrigerant, and this is how the company tried to fix my air conditioning unit.

Contractor 1: "I would just spray some EZ seal into the unit, and that should get you through the season." Uh, no guy. Why don't you find out why it's low on refrigerant? IT'S ONLY 6 YEARS OLD. Contractor 2: "Yeah it's low on refrigerant. But I don't have a large enough tank to empty all the 410-A and diagnose where it's leaking from. I'm just going to fill it up with refrigerant." (Tells me after he does it). Don't you think you should find out why the unit is low on refrigerant first, before you just fill it up?? Contractor 3: "What's going on with it?" When I explain what others have done, he refuses the job. "I don't want to work with someone who tells me what I should be doing." Like guy, if you don't want to know. Don't ask!

Contractor 4: "I was just diagnosed with gallstones and can't come over." I sympathize with your medical condition, but why don't you tell the insurance people, instead of calling me the morning you're supposed to show up?? Contractor 5: "You just have a dirty filter. It's up and running. There's nothing wrong with it." Well I would expect that after the previous contractor just filled it up, when it was low on refrigerant. Home Warranty Company: "We're not going to replace any parts on an HVAC unit that is working fine. We just get the AC units up to working condition."

Examples of the stellar five-and-dime techs they have contracts with. Any reasonable HVAC repair company would have diagnosed WHY a 6 year old unit like mine is low on refrigerant. And then repaired or replaced the parts which are causing the problem. But that's not what The Home Service Club is interested in doing. They want to pour oil into a leaky engine of a car and then tell you it's fixed. Is that the warranty you want for your house?

Consumer Increased Rating!

Samantha ** resolved the issue to my satisfaction.

Anand of Pittsburgh, PA on

Original Review

On May 28 I had put a request to fix my air conditioning unit. I was expecting a call from contractor but that did not happen. I had to call him on 5/31/2016 and He then came to the property and diagnosed that there is a leak in the coolant and proceeded to put in the coolant. I was not provided with the estimate for how much extra it would cost me. Nobody asked for my approval for the extra cost (Neither the company nor the contractor). I later got a call saying that since contractor had put more coolant (a lot more) than what was covered I had to pay extra for the service. Also the coolant leak was not fixed.

Consumer Increased Rating!

The issue has been resolved thanks to Stacy **.

Jack of Los Angeles, CA on

Original Review

Been paying their service for a few months now. Tenant had an issue with a bad water heater, and they sent a technician. He comes over, check it, and says it needs to be replaced. (Great news, NOT!) Now all of a sudden there are "caps" on how much they cover and they are telling me I have to pay $666 "deductible". The water heater cost $435. If my deductible is $666 what exactly are they paying for?!?! Been trying to get a supervisor on the line, good luck with that... Should have gone with AHS - they cover the ENTIRE THING, you only pay the trade call.

So listen. I don't have a lot of money and when they were called to come out to my home they saved me a lot of money. I paid what I had to and it saved me much more money. It was great. I am so grateful to what they did for me and when the serviceman came to my house he didn't make a mess. He cleaned up everything he did and touched. He was amazing. He didn't have to but it was nice of him. If you are in the look out for a new home warranty you should for sure go with them.

We made a claim with The Home Service Club about our heating. It wasn't coming on. My husband called in a claim on the spot because we didn't have the heat. They sent a repairman out for the next day and they explained what was going on. They were professional and experienced (you knew this company knew what they were doing). They repaired it and told us what to do if it happened again. They had our heat back on and running. The contractor was very knowledgeable. We had no problem at all. I've not been with them since we bought this house and wouldn't have it any other way.

The dishwasher was not working good. Everything they do has been good so far. HSC has good contractors and they have excellent service.

This one time, I needed somebody right then and there because I have children and my oven wasn't working and they sent someone a few hours later that same day. It was just amazing of them.

They stopped the leak and gave good performance. We had a plumbing issue in the sink. The Home Service Club's claims rep was very business professional. The contractors they sent did a good job and were also professional.

From start to finish, nearly no time passed at all. We filed a claim to have the HVAC unit checked at our renter's request. Renters were immediately called by the servicing company and were out to the house. After a thorough check a part was ordered and an appointment made at renter's convenience to have the part replaced and the unit fully operational again. Would definitely recommend both the home warranty company and the servicing company!!! Crazy fast and efficient!

Thank you! Your feedback is greatly appreciated. We are happy to hear all is well.

Computer board in heating furnace fried and with this on and off weather we didn't want to wait. Sarah took care of us and made sure we were good in a timely manner. Tech came and had the board with him already!

The Home Service Club Company Profile