3.79/5
Based on 126 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a home warranty company?

The Home Service Club

Our core focus on home warranty plans has allowed us to build a large and versatile service network and become and industry leader and innovator in the field of home warranty plans.We are available online 24/7 and by phone (during business hours) to take service requests from our customers across 49 states. Here at The Home Service Club, we pride ourselves on our superior customer service.

166 The Home Service Club Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

This company took over 1-1/2weeks to replace our refrigerator. It was explained to this company I had cancer tumor removed from my pancreas and was in need of my refrigerator due to keeping medications/foods cold. That fell on deaf ears and I ended up spending a night in the hospital due to not having all of the foods/medications needed. Of course HSC blames Lowe’s and Lowe’s blames HSC, but I the consumer suffered from their lack of due diligence!! No one calls back as promised and we spent a lot of time calling for updates as well as having to find a refrigerator.

Why are we paying them if we have to do all of the work? I cancelled our contract due to the lack of integrity and the harm that was caused. This morning I was contacted to be advised that since I cancelled our contract we are responsible to pay back what was spent out! They offered for me to reopen our contract pay $11.95 for next month premium and not pay a service fee for the next call! Are you serious??? This doesn’t constitute makeup for all the money we spent out due to their negligence and me being in the hospital! THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU GET STUCK WITH THIS COMPANY!!!! It’s all about a money grab!!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I have had two claims within the last four months that have taken weeks and months to resolve. On a current claim, which is a simple broken ceiling fan, it has been two weeks since I've had a response. I can't get a call or email returned. This company is horrible and I would not use them.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I filed a claim for a simple broken garbage disposal. I got the runaround so bad, that it took 14 days to get a new one installed. How disgraceful for anyone to be treated this way. It took 20 min To install. I can’t wait to change companies. I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone.

Original review: July 19, 2018

The first time I had to call on the Home Service Club was to fix a broken toilet. I contacted them on a Friday 29th June. It took around a week for someone to come out and look at it (next Thur, 5th July). They confirmed it would need a new toilet. This was over the 4th July period. Then I heard nothing from the plumber or HSC. I called HSC on the 12th July. They said the work had been approved and I should hear from the plumber. Nothing. It's now the 19th, and HSC are not answering the phone. Needless to say, I do not recommend HSC!

Original review: July 19, 2018

This happened in the middle of summer in Texas where the outside temperatures are up to 105 degrees. My AC went out so I called them on Tuesday afternoon to put in a claim. I waited on hold for 45 min and then was asked to leave a message. I called back 30 min later and waited on hold for 30 minutes before it was answered. They said they didn't have my contract number in the system. I told them it was paid for two weeks prior and called my title company to make sure the payment was sent. They conveniently found it once the check number was provided. I made the claim which, up until now, had taken about 2 hours of my time.

Next day, I call in the morning because I have heard nothing so far and wait on hold for 30 minutes. They said they are working on it and someone has been assigned to find a local vendor. I get a call an hour or so later saying they found someone to come out. I asked for an ETA and they said they couldn't give me one but she did say it would be same day. She did not provide the service provider's name or phone number. No one shows up for several hours. I call back and wait on hold for another 30 minutes and have them tell me that the last contractor canceled on me and contractors are hard to come by right now but I am on a "priority list." Still nothing for a few hours so I call them back again and they said they are still having trouble finding a contractor. Meanwhile, I have a friend who's AC went out and they had it fixed within 24 hours so I am calling BS. My house got up to 95 degrees inside around 5:00 pm. I have two elderly dogs who were panting all day and will not be able to handle this much longer.

Called first thing this morning. Asked if I could get someone out and get a reimbursement. They said they can only reimburse back to the contract- meaning any remaining payments I have left for the year. I am paid in full and they said they can apply it to next year's payment. I told them I didn't want to do this another year and she said she didn't know what they could do instead. They said they would put me on a "priority list." I said I am already on the priority list and they said they are working their hardest. Called again a few minutes ago and they said they are still working on it. I asked if I could just get my money back for it and they said they could only reimburse the seller of the house and not give me that money. The plan is in my name, the seller's name is nowhere on the documentation and the check came from the title company. They have no way of reimbursing the seller so they are lying through their teeth.

In summary, I have been on hold with this company for 7 hours the last two days. My claim is considered an "emergency" yet they still haven't gotten anyone to come out to my house, I can't even imagine what they would do for a non-emergency. This place is a SCAM. They will not provide the service that you paid them for. LOOK ELSEWHERE. Just the fact that there are several people on here saying they would not provide service with a bad review up shows how SHADY this company is. My best friend's father is a lawyer and I am considering legal action at this point. If you would like to join me, please DM me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Home Service Club?

Original review: July 16, 2018

I've submitted a claim with this company since May for my water heater and still have not received my reimbursement check. They are the WORST in customer service, every time you call them no one can answer your questions. I'm assuming the check is coming via a turtle. I had two homes under warranty with them and thank God this is my last month to fulfill my contract, I will NOT be signing back up for coverage. I may as well save my $39.95 per month and pay for my expenses out of pocket.

Resolution response: July 5, 2018

I was unhappy at 1st but am very happy now that they have resolved the problem now to my satisfaction, this wasn't something I expected, but it does show the commitment by the Home Service Club to satisfy their customers. Thank you for the ladies that got involved to make good.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Last fall, my wash machine was leaking, someone came out but never contacted Home Service Club. I called and said when is it going to be fixed, that's when I found out the parts were never order. About a month later, he fixed it, now 7 months later, it's still leaking, now my refrigerator isn't working. I contacted them 11 days ago, never had someone contact me. I called, they gave me the company name and phone number. I called, they said they haven't dealt with Home Service Club in over a year. I called back, they gave me the same company and phone number. I called back again, they gave me a different one. He came out, said it was a fluke, everything is fine. My refrigerator is still at 57 degrees.

I called, they said he'd be out. He never called. I called him, he said he wasn't coming out because they didn't give him the OK to fix it and hasn't paid him for other times he did work. Also, when the guy came out, I asked for afternoon since I was taking a half day vacation, he said no, between 10-12 am, he came at 12:40 pm, had to use vacation time that wasn't needed. Can I give a zero for a rating. Also, I'm on hold forever when I call and usually don't get callbacks. Last night, they said leave my number and they'd return my call, they never did. They answered the phone quickly when I wasn't a customer.

Updated on 06/30/2018: They knew I would write a bad review, they actually blocked my account but I was able to create a new one to let the world know they are the worse company I've ever dealt with. Still not getting any calls, since they didn't fix my refrigerator, I had to but a new one, I left a message that I cancelled my account and want a reimbursement for the rest of the time I have. we'll see what happens. They haven't responded and they didn't fix my refrigerator and didn't give the contractor they sent the OK to fix it.

Original review: June 22, 2018

We purchased the warranty at move in. The A/C worked great for a month straight of 90 degree weather. But it eventually failed. The Home Service Club sent a technician who spent 5 hrs over two trips with no progress. He told us "he finally found the problem, but needs to get warranty approval". The warranty company said based on his assessment, its a pre-existing condition and they are not responsible.

We asked for an explanation. After a conversation where the lady on the phone literally admitted she didn't understand the electrical complexities, she went on to say that the source of the issue is pre-existing, based on her assessment from across the country, over the phone. We asked for a formal write-up and a means to dispute the claim. She said she had made the decision and it was final. She told us they are not required to provide a written explanation. Then she clarified that no matter what future issue arises, they won't be covering the any A/C issues.

Afterwards, we had a separate technician come out. He found the cause in 40 minutes. He replaced the part and had the AC operating at manufacturers standards in 2 hrs for $900. This work included fixing the damage the previous tech caused. The second technician explained that wires were not connected properly, fuses were in backwards and the alleged $600 repair that the initial technician performed was wasted.

DO NOT USE THE HOME SERVICE CLUB. Their employees are experts at saying "we won't cover that", but have no actual understanding of how the system works. They will claim every issue is pre-existing and not provide any explanation. (BTW, this doesn't even cover the fact that they 'lost' my account info and payment when I first had to make the claim, despite sending a confirmation email with my contract #...) Basically... DON'T... JUST DON'T...

Original review: June 18, 2018

I've had this home warranty for about 2 years. My A/C went out, so I called. They were quick to send a local tech out to investigate the issue. That was over 3 weeks ago!!! I've called many, many times. I've asked for a "Supervisor Call Back", but have yet to be called back or notified of when my A/C unit will be fixed, which is under the warranty contract. They have told me that it will be covered and the Tech will be contacting me to set up the service, but still nothing (2-weeks ago)... If you are even thinking about a Home Warranty or Home Service Contract, STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

Resolution response: June 18, 2018

I finally spoke to someone at the company who is working on getting me my $125 back. I was told that if I post a bad review they will withdraw their "goodwill" and not attempt to refund my money. I would like to withdraw this review because I want my money back but I can't figure out how to delete it.

Original review: June 18, 2018

The Home Service Club is a scam. After months of paying I finally called for service. They sent a guy who was clearly not part of a legitimate business. He came and said I needed a new part. I paid the $125 co-pay and he never showed up again. (I took off of work to wait for him; he never showed and when I called he acted like he had no idea who I was or why I was calling.) Over the next week he texted one excuse after another). Clearly he never intended to show up again. (His final excuse is that the Home Service Club screwed him over on payment on another contract). Now, no one will answer at the Home Service Club when I call. (Sales department answers right away; reps who can help existing customers are non existent.) Now I'm out all of those monthly payments and $125 and still have a leaky washer.

Original review: May 31, 2018

5 minutes ago-Edit This is an absolute waste of money and your time. The plan covers very little and what it does cover is replaced by shoddy workmen with plastic parts only to be in need of repair again a little over a year later. The only thing the company seems to go out of their way to do is align themselves with "discount" (cheap, sub-par) contractors. One thing you will really enjoy is sitting on hold for an average of 20 minutes listening to a recording repeatedly tell you that "your call is important to us."

We opened a ticket last Friday evening after work when we arrived home to find that the kitchen faucet was leaking above & below the countertop. It was the Fri. before Memorial Day so I expected a delay but they were not even going to tell us, until I called for an update on Sat. afternoon, that we had no chance of seeing anyone until AT LEAST Tuesday. I say at least because it is currently noon on Thursday and we have still not had anyone show up... They did schedule a repair for this morning between 8 am and 10 am so my husband made arrangements to go into work late but they stood him up and the faucet continues to leak into a bucket under the sink and a soaked dish towel scarf around the neck needing to be replaced every few hours.

FUN! I'm no expert but water is a pretty destructive force in the home... especially when leaking for a week. It's not very convenient to shut the water off to your kitchen sink and dishwasher for a full week either. (and pay extra for the privilege) They don't bother to communicate with the customer. They will leave you hanging, waiting, guessing and hoping until you can't any longer and have to call and ask for an update... But they are very punctual in taking your payments.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Do not buy a home warranty from this company. They are a joke and the customer service after you file a claim is unreal. I had to call them almost every day for 3 months to try and get updates from them and I was always told the same thing (the technician wouldn't get back with them). They have sent 2 different companies of their choice out and they both came back with the same result. I was told by The Home Service Club my claim would be denied but they would pay some of the cost because of all the back and forth they put me through. If you are going to offer to pay anything you know they are in the wrong and trying to get me to agree with them. I told them today they will hear from my attorney as this is the worst company I have ever had to deal with in my life

Updated on 05/11/2018: I sent a review on this company and the next day I received email below from them. "This e-mail is to advise you that your account has been flagged and will be reviewed by our Fraud Prevention Department. Should anything be deemed as warranty fraud/fraudulent intent, it will be reported to all proper agencies and databases, the account will be cancelled and investigated accordingly. Any and all outstanding balances, if any, will be billed and subject for further actions including but not limited to collections. Any and all good faith courtesies are frozen pending review. HSC provides honest and reputable service and we take fraudulent behavior very seriously. Should you have any questions you can contact the agent assigned to this case.

NOTE: Claim #** has been closed as the issue was long deemed as not covered. Please be advised that any and all courtesies offered were offered in good faith and because customer service is our utmost priority. We understand that sometimes claims may take longer than desired, and sometimes we do have to rely on third party technicians, however our service is outlined in the contract and a good faith courtesy to help a customer in need is not in any way an admission of falsely alleged guilt as was implied by you. We hope this has cleared up any misunderstandings you may have had about our agents trying to help you and their sincere intent."

Original review: May 9, 2018

I had to have my hot water heater replaced and HSC could not find a person to do it. After 3 weeks of my basement being destroyed by the leaking water heater, they agreed to just pay $400 towards us getting a replacement on our own. We got the work done, sent the receipt for the work and I still have not gotten the money. I call daily and email and not one person has called me back after promising to do so. This company is DISMAL to deal with. I can't wait until November when I can cancel this contract and never deal with these frauds again.

Original review: May 5, 2018

The thing that Home Service Club does not tell you is that when you go to file a claim, they will set a maximum limit they are willing to pay for that item. For instance, I was quoted $1325 to replace my water heater from a plumber. Home Service Club said they would pay $400 and I had to pay the remaining $975. This is in addition to the $450 I pay per year for the warranty itself. The maximum they will pay per item is usually only about $200-400 and only after you meet your deductible. Which by the way, they will not replace with equal appliances to the ones you currently have but will try to lowball you with cheaper ones.

My dishwasher that quit originally cost $800 7 years ago but Home Service Club said they would pay $250 toward a $300 dishwasher which was nowhere near equivalent to the $800 one I had before. They are incredibly difficult to reach, at times dropping calls at very convenient times for them. Oh and when I called because I had no hot water in my house, they told me it would take 5 days to send an technician out to inspect. Save your money. To date I have given them about $2500 in premiums over the years and have received about $1000 in benefits. A waste of money!!

Original review: May 4, 2018

I have attempted to submit 4 claims over the last year. NONE have been responded to. I have submitted online through their site, called (no one ever answers), and emailed. I have NEVER gotten to speak to anyone. I think this is a total sham. I pay almost $90/mo. I can't even cancel it online and nobody will answer!

Original review: April 13, 2018

Very slow in their total process. Would not recommend their service to anyone. In fact I've cancelled both of my contracts on two different properties and I'm encouraging my daughter and her husband to cancel their program because of their poor service. They still owe me money on the refrigerator that went out over 2 months ago that they keep dragging out the payment process for an offer of about $400 but I refuse to pay another dime to these people. Do a top 10 search for the best home service companies and they aren't even a honorable mention.

Resolution response: April 27, 2018

The company and I were able to resolve this claim.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I am extremely disappointed with the service that I have received from The Home Service Club (HSC) as they are looking for any excuse to not fulfill their obligations or to force me to cover most of the cost for replacing my dishwasher. After submitting my claim, they sent a contractor to my home who determined the unit needed to be replaced as it had a crack on the bottom, which could not be fixed. He wrote down the model and serial numbers and submitted the diagnostic to HSC.

A week passed and an HSC rep contacted me to offer two replacement options for my dishwasher that they found in Lowes.com. To my surprise, both of the units were the most basic model and nothing similar to what we have at home. While not a top of the line unit, our dishwasher has a dispenser for detergent aid and a few features that none of the proposed units had (their cost was $329 and $359 each). We looked at equivalent options in Lowes.com, and their cost ranged from $449 to $599. Once HSC looked at both options they called me back and said they were ok with purchasing either one of them but that they would only going to cover up to $238 and that we needed to pay the remainder balance (over $200 plus $139 for installation). This is despite my contract stating that they would cover up to $600 for diagnosis, repair or replacement of a dishwasher unit in a 12 month period.

At this point my frustration reached its limit as not only we had been waiting for almost a month to get this resolved, but also would have to come up with more than half of the new dishwasher’s cost out of our own pocket! At this point I asked to talk with a Supervisor and I received a call a day later, from a person that despite my explanation and obvious frustration, pointed me to a specific clause in the contract that states that HSC would only pay for "the industry standard for the required repairs or the replacement value of the unit's current worth as though it were in operating condition".

However, the same clause starts by saying that this situation only applies in cases where the system replacement is needed due to missing or illegible model and/or serial number. In other words, this means that if they can't fix it because they can't identify the model and serial number of my unit, which is not the case. Both of these pieces of information are clearly available, were provided to HSC and the reason why a replacement was required is because the contractor determined that the unit cannot be fixed.

As a result of all this, I believe that this company not only is not meeting its obligations and terms of service, but they also are providing false advertising and deceiving potential customers by statements on their website like: "If we can’t repair it, we will replace it. Get the peace of mind that only comes with quality coverage and top-tier professional home repairs for home systems and appliances that break most!" "With an HSC Home Protection Plan you no longer have to worry when something goes wrong. We will help you get it repaired by a qualified service contractor or simply get it replaced. Less worry, less hassle, less expenses."

"HSC's home warranty plans provide confidence that if a covered item breaks, you’re protected. You don't pay for appliance and system repairs or replacements nor do you have the stress of finding a qualified service contractor. We take the expense and the stress out of dealing with appliance and system repairs or replacements. With HSC you get the confidence that comes with knowing that you've covered this one in advance." Needless to say, I will never sign a contract with this company again neither would recommend it to anyone, as based on my experience they are very unprofessional and they try to take advantage of people.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Our family has had The Home Service Club for a while now. Unfortunately we’ve had a few claims, and with every repair there has been an issue. Our air conditioner broke immediately after purchasing the protection plan. HSC would not cover the AC unit due to existing damage, but it worked perfectly all the way up until it broke.

When the garbage disposal broke, a horrible technician was sent to my home, said he replaced it but did not. After I complained that it still did not work I was told I would have to pay again to send another tech out. I was not believed when I said that this was the same garbage disposal I had before. Now my dishwasher has been broken for a week, and the leaking has now ruined my floor. Still have no idea when someone will come fix it. After spending 45 minutes on the phone today, I still have no idea if HSC has any clue what’s going on with my dishwasher.

I honestly would’ve been better off with no Home Service Club warranty. And fixing everything out of pocket. I always get the runaround with a different customer service rep. And when I ask to speak with the senior rep, Stacy **, they say that she is not available or that they cannot transfer me. I would love to get a refund for every month that I paid this company, every time I think about using them I cringe, but what else can I do?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I have paid monthly premiums for about 10 months with no claims. My hot water heater went out. They assigned a repair person who really had no experience dealing with insurance, didn't know how it worked and had no intention of putting out any of his own money to get a repair or replacement started. I called five times, hours of my time. He never even came to my house. I begged for a different repair person every call. They refused and just kept contacting this same idiot. He even told them he had been to my house when he hadn't. I finally got fed up, told them I wanted to quit and get a refund on my payments. So far nothing has been done. Even the customer service person I talked to can't reach the cancelation department. I don't care what other reviews are here, this is a terrible company.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

This is the first time I have needed to call on my home warranty. I requested service for a broken washing machine this morning online. When you do this, there is no record sent to your email address or request affiliated in your account online. After not hearing anything for several hours, I called just to make sure they received the request. I was on hold for 20 minutes waiting for the next available representative, until finally an automated message asked me to leave a message so they can get back to me. I have absolutely zero confidence that they are going to take care of this for me, and I don't have time to waste chasing them. Seeing other reviews, seems like a common story, entirely disappointed.

Resolution response: Jan. 12, 2018

A new supervisor took over my case. The dishwasher has been drained of the water. He cleared the pump and it is working fine. So far so good.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I called over three weeks ago about a stopped sink. They sent over a plumber who cleared the sink but unbeknownst to me stopped my dishwasher. The dirty water went into my dishwasher. When I went to load the dishwasher it was full of water and wouldn't drain. I ran the cycle but the water wouldn't come out. So called Home Service Club. They said they would get back to me. They did not. So I called again. I was told that they were going to replace the dishwasher. I was surprised but pleased. They said they were sending me an email so I could choose the new model. The email never came so I called back several times. Left on hold too long and had to hang up but eventually got through.

After being assured by two reps that the email was on the way I got a call from a man stating he was taking over my case. He then said he was going to get this straight and call me back shortly. Well no call so this morning I call and had trouble getting through again. Finally spoke with a rep who told they were sending out a tech to look at my dishwasher. I said they told me they were replacing it. Well they changed their minds. They cannot tell me when someone is coming. It is not assigned yet. They are unprofessional and are in no rush to help. Meanwhile I have a dishwasher with backed up water sitting in it. No one seems to care.

Resolution response: July 3, 2018

After speaking with Stacey, the problem with repairing our washer was resolved. As a matter of fact, our dryer was just repaired and Stacey called us to ensure that the repair process went smoothly.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

We had a plumbing repair done several months ago. The plumber demanded immediate payment. We approached HSC for reimbursement (they sent the plumber). Still waiting for reimbursement. Have now been waiting 3 days for a call regarding our clothes washer. Called this morning to speak to a supervisor. Need a call ticket for that! HSC is a scam!

Resolution response: Jan. 2, 2018

As it happens, after several conversations, we were able to get the issue of my failed door seal successfully resolved, which led to the discovery of a second unrelated mechanical failure with my washer. Stacy, a Sr. Supervisor with HSC, was extremely diligent in tracking me down, with over a dozen phone calls and voice messages over several weeks, to make sure we got everything resolved and that I was satisfied with the outcome.
    in spite of my initial frustration, I believe Stacy and HSC more than redeemed themselves with their determined efforts to get my service issues resolved fairly and equitably.

Thanks Stacy.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

When I purchased my 10 year-old home in Charlotte in 2015, my realtor gifted me a 1-year service contract with the Home Service Club, which I have renewed each year. After 2 1/2 years of paying HSC for coverage, my upstairs A/C unit began to freeze up. After dispatching a local service provider to evaluate the issue, I was given the run-around for 5 weeks by HSC, who refused to approve the service because they said it was not covered. Finally out of desperation, my wife simply called another A/C service company to come out and service the unit, replacing a capacitor and a couple pounds of refrigerant, at a cost of $750.

Several months later, the door seal on my GE front-load washing machine began to leak, first lightly, then profusely. Again, I called HSC and had a service technician sent to look at the problem, only to be told that because this was not specifically an electrical or mechanical failure, it was not covered. However, when I pointed out in their contract's specifically defined list of things covered and not covered, the door seal was not excluded. Round and round we go until they offer $100, then later to split the cost of the repair 50/50 ($206.03) as a "goodwill" settlement. Not surprisingly, $206 is only slightly less than what another appliance service company has quoted me for the repair in total, not $412.06. Needless to say, as of the end of the current billing cycle, they are no longer my home service warranty provider. My friends at American Home Shield have always been more fair and responsive, so I will be calling them this evening.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I have been paying my premiums for 3 years now. Recently, I needed HVAC replacement. The claim is approved on Aug 18th, and was supposed to take 30 days to pay. It has been now 50 days, every week I have been calling them waiting 20 mins on the line, all I get is that they are 'following up'. By the way, their contractor quoted $13,000 for the job I had done for $8000 and they agreed to only pay 40% of my capped amount for HVAC. Apparently there is a kickback.

Resolution response: Oct. 17, 2017

Stacey ** assured me that this claim can receive a courtesy processing of sending me a $357 check because I can purchase the oven cheaper than the company can buy it online. It seems that the company is trying to do right and honor the coverage. Therefore, I can now update my rating.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I filed a claim for my oven and was told that I had to pay $198 dollars after I already paid my $125 deductible in order for them to be able to order it from Lowe's for $350. How does that makes sense in anybody's world?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

My experience with HSC is simply terrible. I had a broken AC evaporator coil. The contractor came and performed exam, and reached conclusion that it needed to be replaced. He reported no maintenance issue such as rust. But then, a week later the company called me and notified me that my claim was rejected! The reason was that this type of failure is a building-up process over years, therefore, "MUST" be "pre-existing" condition and won't be covered - What kind of logic is this!

We all know that mechanical problems are all "building-up" process. So does that mean, at least to this company, that they are all "pre-existing" and will not be covered??? When I asked "How many years”, I was told "No one on the planet knows that!" AT the end of the conversation, I was told the company has the right to make their final decision! That's the time when I realized that any more words with them is wasting my time. I've been with several different home warranty companies and HSC is obviously the WORST.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I bought warranty service on 7/21/17. Open a ticket on my pool pump leaking water on 8/2/17. No one called back, I opened another ticket and again no answer, I opened another ticket and again nothing. I called them and they said my account is under review and they would call me within the next couple days. I waited until August 10th and finally cancelled. Then I wrote two "1 star reviews" to Yelp and BBB. Couple days later a supervisor called and told me that there is a $45 cancellation fee and she can waive that, however the fraud department does not let her waive anything if there is a bad review by the consumer!!! I told her that I would rather leave the review even if it means I would lose that $45 cancellation fee. She told me that in her records she shows two calls for me, but the people who called does not have any means to receive any calls so they do not leave voicemail!!!

I did not take her seriously when she mentioned FRAUD department but to my surprise. Today 9/6/17, I received an email stating that my "Closed Account" is now under review for WARRANTY FRAUD. This is now more than a joke. Beware of this company. I will keep updating as I learn more about this company's investigation. Please note that, no technician came, no money paid by them or by me other than $50 first month fee and they actually still owe me about $5 even with the $45 cancellation fee, and they opened a WARRANTY FRAUD investigation on me. Let's see how this develops.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I don't even know where to begin with this company. I opened a claim as my AC stopped working around July 20th, 2017. It is now September 6th, and my Central Air is still not fixed. It has been nothing but a battle to try and get them to do anything fairly. I am a Realtor who sells about 80 homes a year in the area and deals with Home Warranty companies on a daily basis. I not only sell them, but I help my clients when they have trouble. In the past 12 months I have had 4 units fully replaced for clients at no cost to them by other warranty companies. They have also covered the cost of a plug in AC unit for the house until theirs was fixed. If you're looking for a good warranty go HMS or AHS. Great customer service and reps if you know who to talk to. But on to my nightmare...

I signed up for this one before I knew which ones I liked dealing with and because I could pay it monthly. I should have canceled a long time ago and gone with the ones I trust now. Getting anyone on the phone is difficult, and you will be on hold for a long time anytime you try. I got them to send someone out and diagnose the issue and they said the unit needed to be replaced. Now we had to wait on the warranty company. After a few weeks of being out of AC, they finally came back to me and said that they would cover up to $2,500 of replacement. While the other companies I deal with do a full replacement, I wasn't going to argue this. That is just policy and I understand. But here's where it gets frustrating.

They quote me over $4,200, and tell me they supply only one brand of HVAC. As a Realtor and someone who flips houses for a living one thing I watch out for is this brand's units. They are made with cheap parts and completely unreliable. I will normally warn my clients when they look at a house with one installed. HSC tells me they will only use that brand, and that I need to pay the almost $1,800 difference out of pocket to have it installed. The big issue I have is the HVAC company they sent out had already quoted me a full replacement at $3,600 using a top of the line brand. When they found out about it they called the HVAC company and chewed them out for giving me pricing directly. So now I'm starting to understand what they are doing.

They have a contract with cheap HVAC manufacturer so they can get them at a discount. They buy and ship the HVAC system to the installer, and then quote an even higher repair cost amount than it would actually cost had I just not used the home warranty at all. So they mark up the bill for profit, and buy a cheaper unit at cost. I have a huge problem with the ethics of the whole thing. I asked to be patched directly to a manager as I know home warranty companies can pay out directly for services rendered and do so all the time. This seems like a reasonable request.

I was told a manager would call me back within 24-48 hours. It took a week and a half to finally talk to someone. Her name was Denise. She claimed to be a supervisor, but I don't know if it was true. She denies they will pay out claims even though the HVAC tech has confirmed they will. She also said they never called him about giving pricing to me, but I know that was a lie as I talked to him right after they did a few weeks ago. She said they wouldn't pay out their $2,500 portion of the $3,600 quoted for a better unit, and that I would need to pay the higher rate for the worse unit or choose not to use their service. Now I am left waiting again because they said all they will do is see about crediting $900 to go towards a unit if I don't pay their markup, but since that feature is for non covered items then it may not apply.

I'm not trying to be difficult. I'm not asking for more than the contract says they will cover. All I'm asking is that they do what they legally say they will and pay out the $2,500 directly to their HVAC technician so I can have the unit replaced properly. I will pay the $1,100 difference. What I won't do is be overcharged $1,800 so they can buy a cheaper unit that will just end up breaking again and sucker me out of more money. If you are thinking about purchasing a home warranty from someone, run away from these guys as fast as you can.

As someone who deals with warranty companies for a living, I have never been treated so poorly or had to fight so hard to get minimal coverage. Had I just chose one of the other guys I would have a new unit, a nice unit, and it wouldn't have cost me anything other than the $100 deductible. Here I am arguing for them to take the difference, but just to replace it the way it should be, and they are saying no. Don't waste your money like I did.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

They will fight every single claim you call on. If the problem could have happened before you signed up with HSC then they will not accept the work. Also, there's a $500 dollar limit on what they will help with and this is with all major appliances within a home. Please, I repeat, do NOT sign with this company.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

Our experience with this company has been absolutely horrible. We've had a claim for a hot water heater for over a month and they continue to give us the run around. Every time we call we are told they will expedite the claim and have a claims rep call us back. We never get a call back. We typically wait a day for them to call and when we call the following day it is like starting all over. The technician that came out was so surprised at the lack of professionalism when he called the company to provide diagnostic information and said he has worked with many companies and this was by far the worse.

The last representative I spoke with finally said they were not going to cover the claim and gave some very shady reasoning; however, even at my request the company will not officially deny the claim. It is my belief the company does not cover claims and they try to wait families out because it is in the contract that if we have the work done ourselves it automatically releases them from covering the claim.

Not sure about The Home Service Club?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Home Warranties, Service Plans for you.

The Home Service Club expert review by Michele Lerner

The Home Service Club (HSC) offers home warranty plans in 48 states and prides itself on offering innovative services such as allowing consumers to monitor a repair status by logging into their own online account.

• Trade service fees: HSC guarantees their service work for 30 days for labor and 90 days for parts, so if a problem isn’t resolved the first time you won’t have to pay another service fee.

• Fee payment options: Consumers can choose a home warranty plan with a service fee of $65, $95 or $125; the higher the fee, the lower the annual premium for the warranty.

• High limits for covered items: HSC limits up to $2500 for heating and air conditioning systems, higher than most home warranty companies.

• Limited hours for service calls: Unlike most home warranty companies, HSC only accepts phone calls from 9 to 5 weekdays; you can make an online request at any time but won’t be able to reach a person unless you call during business hours.

• Cancellation fee: If you cancel more than 30 days after you start the policy and have had a service call, the company will charge you a $45 fee.

• Best for: first-time buyers, owners of older homes and real estate agents.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
    Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

The Home Service Club Company Information

2008
    Formerly Named:
    305 Broadway 9th Floor
    New York
    NY
    www.hscwarranty.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business